FlatRate Moving

4.2(147)

About FlatRate Moving

FlatRate Moving is a New York City-based company that handles moves of any size and distance. It has offices in New York, New Jersey, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami and Orlando. Pricing is always a flat, guaranteed rate and includes furniture packing and wrapping, floor and hallway protection and labor and travel expenses. Request a quote online or over the phone.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Flat-rate prices
  • Easy booking process
  • Price includes packing and wrapping
  • Convenient app
Cons
  • Limited local moves
  • Charges two days before move date

Featured Reviews

Verified
New York, NY

Everything was flawless and great service was provided. The experience on the phone beforehand was easy and pleasant, the movers were on time, professional and clean, and they hel...

Verified
New York, NY

I have used FlatRate many times before and I have never been disappointed. They always have a great crew and keep you informed the entire move. ... Highly recommended for any kind...

FlatRate Moving services

FlatRate Moving is a moving carrier with a fleet of over 90 vehicles. The company provides guaranteed, upfront pricing for local, long-distance and international moves, and it includes boxes and packing services for specific items like furniture, electronics and artwork.

• Local moving: FlatRate Moving provides local moving services in New York City, New Jersey, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Washington, D.C., Orlando and London. FlatRate Moving also handles special requests, including additional packing, electronics installation and late-night service.
  • Office moving: FlatRate Moving has experience relocating all types of businesses. Services include office moving, event management, commercial storage, warehousing, government moving and military moving. Commercial moves include a project manager, a custom moving timeline, color-coded inventory, overnight moving, overnight storage, furniture disassembly and assembly and IT setup.
  • Packing services: FlatRate movers personalize packing services for each move. Standard moving includes special boxes for and packing of furniture, mattresses, flat-screen TVs, lamps, mirrors, artwork, sculptures and electronics. FlatRate can also pack pots, pans, dishes, books and clothes.
  • Storage: Short-term and long-term storage are available in climate-controlled units that are monitored 24/7. Customers can use the FlatRate app to create a photo inventory and request delivery of their items. FlatRate Moving has over 50 different room sizes at its company-owned and -operated facilities.
  • Long-distance moving: FlatRate Moving has a consolidated shipping option — which divides a trailer for multiple client shipments — to save customers money. It also has “express trips” to frequent destinations, and you can request exclusive service for your own trailer and direct delivery.
Local movingLong-distance moving
Custom crating available
Local moving
Long-distance moving

FlatRate Moving rates

To get a quote from FlatRate, submit a quick form on its website or call the company. Every move has a guaranteed flat rate, which has 99.6% accuracy, according to FlatRate. The price changes only if you adjust your inventory or change other important details of your move. Your quote is calculated based on your belongings, the distance and additional details, like if there are multiple flights of stairs.

FlatRate accepts major credit cards, cash, money orders and wire transfers. It doesn’t accept checks or Discover credit cards. The company charges customers two business days before a move.

How do I book a move with FlatRate Moving?

FlatRate Moving recommends booking at least three weeks in advance for local moves and at least four weeks in advance for long-distance and international moves. To schedule a move, fill out the free quote form on the company’s website. You can also call FlatRate or enter your phone number to receive a callback. Have the following information ready:

• The address you’re moving from
  • The address you’re moving to
  • Your preferred moving date
  • The size of your apartment or home
  • Your contact information

FlateRate Moving FAQ

What is flat-rate pricing?

Flat-rate pricing from FlatRate Moving is a guaranteed, fixed rate for a move based on the distance, the volume of your possessions and the complexity of the move. The all-inclusive price includes packing and wrapping of furniture, packing of other specific household items and all labor and travel expenses.

Does FlatRate include boxes and packing in the moving price?

Yes, FlatRate boxes are free, and movers will pack certain items, such as furniture, lamps, electronics, flat-screen TVs, computers and artwork. Packing of other items is available for an additional fee.

What is FlatRate Moving’s tipping policy?

FlatRate movers accept tips. According to the company’s website, the industry standard is 10% to 20% for local moves and 5% to 8% for a long-distance move (split between pickup and delivery teams). You can add a tip for your movers using the My FlatRate app.

Does FlatRate Moving offer insurance?

FlatRate Moving offers several insurance options to cover loss and damage of your items. Ask a FlatRate relocation consultant about your options, or choose your coverage using the company app.

Do we recommend FlatRate Moving?

If you live within FlatRate Moving’s service area and are interested in a full-service move, consider getting a free consultation and quote. Its all-inclusive, guaranteed pricing includes boxes and packing of high-value items with no hourly charges. Plus, you can use the My FlatRate app to manage your move, track the moving trucks in real time and send messages to the movers. Call or fill out a form online to get started.

Stars Rating

• 69%
  • 11%
  • 5%
  • 7%
  • 9%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FlatRate Moving?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FlatRate Moving?
    Customer ServicePriceMoversQuote AccuracyPunctuality & SpeedDamagePacking

Reviewed March 8, 2024

I had a good experience with FlatRate Moving. They were more professional. I could tell with how they did their contracts, how they communicated with me. They laid everything out very easy for me to understand what they would and wouldn't do. I had had my stuff in storage for about a year with FlatRate in New York City, in the Bronx. And I knew that I needed my stuff to get to Kentucky from New York. FlatRate was not my cheapest quote, which is why I ended up getting scammed, because I went with a cheaper quote from another company to pick my stuff up from the storage unit and drive it long distance to Kentucky. But FlatRate was easy to set up the move-out with. Unfortunately, the company that I hired never showed up to move my stuff.

I reached out to FlatRate and asked them for a quote for the stuff that was in my storage unit and how much it would cost to get to Kentucky. They were transparent with pricing and their agreements. They knew exactly what stuff I had in storage already, gave me a timeline for my move when I could expect it. They were easy to communicate with.

It was a week of a window to get to Kentucky and they stayed in contact with me. Two days before the move, they said, “We're gonna be there on Friday.” Once it got closer to Friday, they gave me a time window which was 2:00 to 5:00 pm. Friday, the day of the delivery, they called me and said, “It's gonna be actually closer to this time.” They narrowed it down within a 30-minute window. And the driver called me 15 minutes before his arrival. So, it was easy to communicate with them. I didn't have to reach out to them to figure out where they were at or when they were coming. They always communicated that with me.

The person that showed up to help me was professional. He was helpful, got all my stuff out of the truck and got it where they needed to be. They were dusty, but that was just because they were in storage for a year. If they were in boxes or tubs, or however I left them, they were in that condition. There was one item that was damaged, but it was insignificant, so it wasn't an issue. It was a bed frame and one little section had a chip out of it. But I could glue that back together.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServicePriceMoversQuote AccuracyPacking

Reviewed Feb. 21, 2024

FlatRate Moving was fantastic. The crew that we had was unbelievable. All three of them were very professional. They had to take me from Connecticut up to Massachusetts. It was an over three and a half hour drive. I was so worried. They gave me a fixed price and held on to it. I just had a lot of boxes and a lot of personal things. But they did everything that I asked and more. And the most important thing is, I knew what my price would be at the end. The rep went through a serious thing when his sister had died, and he still was professional.

My experience was this because I dealt with such a great guy at the company. And I'm lucky that I was able to get a senior guy like him. He was very detailed but so am I. I gave him a lot of detail and kept him up-to-date as we were packing. We packed 99% of the things ourselves. We just hired them to move it. We didn't have them unpacking or packing, but they do that. And he did the unpacking for my friend. %hey stored for my friend for a year and he was very satisfied with them.

Ricardo was excellent. And he had a lot of experience. He was very personable that he was almost too personal. He's a nice guy. Also, the movers have worked together for a number of years. It was obvious. They all knew what they had to do. All three were fantastic. They knew what they had to do. And this was a long trip for them. They got to my house at 8:45 in the morning. And they were at my house for two three hours. We had to first drive over three hours to Massachusetts. And they had to unpack. I have a storage facility on site at my new place and my home. They did all of this. They didn't leave Massachusetts until it was 4:30. And they were first going to drive that. That's a long day.

I gave them a nice cash tip. I hope that they appreciated it. I felt good with what I gave them. Nobody asked me to give them that, but I did it and they were worth it. I would use them again if I had to move again. I also called up the president of their company and I made it known because they were very hard workers and I appreciate that.

Customer ServiceMoversPunctuality & SpeedDamagePacking

Reviewed Dec. 23, 2023

Scheduling the move was easy as it could be. I told the gentleman I was working with how many rooms of furniture we had. I told him the approximate dates that we were gonna move. But we didn't know exactly when because we lived in a co-op in New York, and we had to wait for the board to approve the people who were buying our apartment. So they were very flexible, and every time I called, they were just so agreeable to moving the date or doing whatever we had to do. It was so easy to work with. Plus it was a double move for us because we had to move out of our apartment. They kept everything in storage for us until we needed it to be moved out again. Everything went so smoothly. Everybody was great. They were very careful. They were also considerate and polite.

We had packed most of our things into boxes ourselves. They packed some of the electrical appliances, the lamps, the computer, the televisions, the mirrors, the pictures. The dishes and furniture, they wrapped everything up. But all of our stuff, like dishes and kitchenware, books. We did all that. We had one little mishap. A piece of glass from an end table got broken and they were very willing to repair the glass. It was just that one of the men would stop by and pick it up, and they would take it to their glass place. But I got sick, and we weren't here all the time. It was a hassle. So we took the piece of glass and had it repaired ourselves. I've called a couple times to see if they would pay the bill, but I've got no response so far, which surprises me. But it's just $31. It's not a huge amount. But that would have completed everything perfectly.

Customer ServicePriceMoversQuote AccuracyPunctuality & SpeedDamage

Reviewed Dec. 16, 2023

I have used Flat Rate movers for three different moves, and I couldn't be happier with their exceptional service each time. From start to finish, they consistently exceeded my expectations. Flat Rate movers were always right on time, which helped set a positive tone for each move. Their punctuality made the entire process much smoother. The movers were not only punctual but also incredibly professional. They treated my belongings with the utmost care and respect, ensuring that everything arrived at my new home in perfect condition. Efficiency is a hallmark of flat-rate movers. They worked diligently and completed each move within the estimated time frame. This efficiency was crucial in ensuring a hassle-free transition.

The communication throughout the moving process was excellent. Flat Rate movers provided clear instructions, updated me, and always responded to my questions and concerns. The pricing was fair and transparent. I never encountered any unexpected fees or charges, and I clearly understood the cost before each move. My belongings were carefully and securely protected during the moves. I experienced no damage or loss, which speaks volumes about their commitment to quality service. The customer service provided by Flat Rate Movers was top-notch. They were always ready to address my concerns or questions, making me feel valued as a customer. Flat Rate movers were accommodating and able to adjust to any changes or unexpected circumstances during the moves, demonstrating their flexibility and dedication to customer satisfaction.

I wholeheartedly recommend their services based on my experiences with Flat Rate movers for three moves. They consistently delivered outstanding service, and I couldn't be more satisfied with their professionalism, efficiency, and attention to detail. If you need a reliable moving company that genuinely cares about your satisfactory experience, I can confidently say that Flat Rate Movers is an excellent choice. I will not hesitate to use their services again in the future.

Customer ServiceMoversDamagePacking

Reviewed Nov. 18, 2023

I packed my own stuff. I organized, inventoried and put numbers on my boxes. But FlatRate Moving had their own system which came up and messed up my number system. But the crew was perfect. I thought that the same crew would be in the same truck that would bring my stuff down. I did not know that once they picked it up, they were then waiting on a third party to bring my stuff down. There was a third-party transportation company. They unloaded my truck. They had loaded my stuff last because my stuff was smaller than what would normally fit in that big 18-wheeler.

Now I'm missing two boxes that got lost in transport. Those were of my china. We went through it, the two boxes were not there. They acknowledged that both boxes were missing. They called it in and I did too. They told me he was going to Florida and maybe the boxes were in the back. One of the girls was helping me and said that she was trying to get to the warehouse. Maybe they didn't put those two boxes in the truck. She sent me a claim form. We’re hoping that they find them at some point ‘cause I would prefer to have that china that was from my aunt instead of any type of claim.

What I would have done differently was I would have packed the things myself but waited until they did the inventory, took pictures of what I put in the box, and did the inventory a little bit differently. But I did not know that they securely wrapped the boxes and put their numbers on it so my inventory sheet didn't go with what they had put on the boxes. It's creating additional work for me to go through boxes and see what their number system says it is and what my number system says it is.

Customer ServicePriceMoversQuote AccuracyPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 11, 2024

I used FlatRate Moving 10 years ago when I moved from New York to Los Angeles. And then I used them when I moved back from Los Angeles to New York. So, I used them a few times. It seemed like they had scale. I've seen their advertisements in different places, so it seemed like a safe bet. The first time I used them, I filled out a form online and told them I was moving a one-bedroom apartment across the country and told them a rough idea of how much furniture I had. They came back with a quote and then called me and narrowed it down.

And since then, it's been the same process where I just emailed the person that I had communicated with last and told them I wanted to move. They called me to do a quick inventory and gave me a quote quickly thereafter. The crew during the move was nothing but friendly and professional. They showed up on time when they said they would, and they seemed to work hard to get my stuff in or out, and there were no issues. FlatRate has never done wrong to me. So on my next move, I'll use them as well.

PriceMoversQuote Accuracy

Reviewed July 11, 2024

FlatRate Moving is a great company. Getting a quote was completely easy. It was all online. I spoke with a rep once and it was as smooth as it could be. The crew was also great and really nice people. I've used them a couple of times now.

Customer ServiceMovers

Reviewed July 1, 2024

FlatRate doesn't hire qualified people. It was not a good move. The movers broke my vase and a picture and tried to fold my mattress. They were awful. I haven't received my check yet for my claim and it's been over 30 days. I even emailed them last week about it but there was no answer. I refer business to FlatRate and it makes me question if I'll do that ever again.

Customer ServicePriceMoversQuote Accuracy

Reviewed July 1, 2024

The customer service was very helpful and attentive. It was hard getting a quote over the phone because I don’t know how to estimate boxes. But FlatRate stuck with the quote. The first time I used them, the move was within five miles and the second was within 20 miles. The third was within a mile. The crew for the longer move was the least helpful. But the crew for the other two moves were great. Knowing that moving is an ordeal and a horror, FlatRate is probably the least of the evils.

Customer ServicePriceQuote Accuracy

Reviewed July 1, 2024

FlatRate Moving's quote was a bit high, but they brought all their materials and they had some insurance policies. Their customer service is also good. So I was confident that people get what they pay for when they move to a certain extent. We've recommended FlatRate Moving and had friends used them as well with good experiences.

FlatRate Moving Company Information