2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.94/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

With over 20 years of experience, FlatRate Moving built upon its success as NYC's #1 most preferred moving company. FlatRate now operates across the world offering an all-inclusive, one-price move, with no surprise costs. Whether you are moving locally or cross-country, you can enjoy peace of mind when you partner with FlatRate to complete your move safely and on schedule. Their team of specialists always starts with proper planning, so they will work with you to create a detailed inventory and plan to meet all of your moving needs. Call for a free quote today!

BOTTOM LINE

FlatRate Moving company changed the industry with flat-rate pricing and is now one of the most trusted movers in NYC. Fees for specific boxes and packing services aren’t included in flat-rate prices, but moving services are available worldwide.

PROS

• User-friendly mobile app
    • Locked-in prices
    • Easy booking process
    • Fast and efficient services

CONS

• Less flexible delivery windows
    • Additional cost for some packing services

Top FlatRate Moving Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about FlatRate Moving?

Everything was flawless and great service was provided. The experience on the phone beforehand was easy and pleasant, the movers were on time, professional and clean, and they helped with every detail that I couldn't even have thought of.

Honestly I wish I had known about them sooner. In the past I've had so many bad moving experiences. This is an organized and friendly place.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About FlatRate moving and storage services

FlatRate Moving is fully licensed, insured and bonded and in compliance with regulations set by the Interstate Commerce Commission and New York Department of Transportation. FlatRate Moving has expanded operations into eight major cities across the U.S. and 160 locations around the world. Once your move plan is in place, the price is fixed for the whole journey.

• Local moving: FlatRate Moving provides local moving services in New York City, New Jersey, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Washington, D.C., Orlando and London, U.K. FlatRate Moving also handles special requests, like packing and crating, cleaning services and equipment dismantling, and reinstallation. Plus, you can efficiently manage your move from your phone at any time with FlatRate Moving’s mobile app.
      • Office moving: FlatRate Moving has experience relocating offices in commercial complexes as well as academic or government offices. Movers study floorplans before arrival to the new location to ensure that everything will be in place correctly.
      • Packing services: FlatRate movers use a specialized approach and the best materials for each item packed. They use durable packing materials, such as thick blankets, sturdy boxes, wooden crates and cell boxes, styrofoam plates, bubble wrap and crumply paper material for your fragile household items. FlatRate carpenters are experts in building custom crates for delicate objects, previous art pieces, antiques, pianos, wine collections and chandeliers.
      • Storage: Short-term and long-term storage are available in clean, secure and climate-controlled rooms. All storage facilities in New York City, Miami, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and New Jersey are owned by FlatRate Moving company. Short-term storage is best when you’re planning to relocate but are renting in the meantime or if your current residents are undergoing renovations. Long-term storage options are available to keep items protected while abroad or, for example, when you have furniture that you want to get rid of eventually, but not quite yet.
      • Long distance moving: For long distance relocations, FlatRate Moving company operates weekly express shuttles to guarantee agreed delivery dates. Each relocation is assigned a dedicated cross-country moving specialists who are professionally trained to pack for long trips. Movers use extra durable packing materials, double-wrap all furniture and pack fragile items in customized wooden crates. With an office in London and a network of over 160 agents around the globe, FlatRate Moving has a dedicated international department to handle the planning and logistics of international moving.
      Local movingLong-distance moving
      Free short-term storage
      One fixed price
      Weekly express shuttles
      Special requests
      Custom crating available

FlatRate Moving company specialties

Aside from providing quality packing materials and trucks, FlatRate Moving offers specialized services for domestic and international moving as well as storage solutions. FlatRate movers and packers have perfected the moving process whether you’re looking to relocate locally, move to another state or accept a new job overseas.

• NYC moving: As one of the best NYC moving companies, movers and drivers can navigate the five boroughs effortlessly, even in the most intense traffic centers and lousy weather. New Yorkers are eligible for The FlatRate Loyalty Club, which allows you to request a quote, refer friends, win prizes and more.
      • Full-service storage: FlatRate offers short-term and long-term full-service storage at flat rate pricing with full packing, moving and delivery services. Full-service storage services come with high-security facilities, climate-controlled storage space and exact unit storage sizes, so you don’t pay for space you don’t use.
      • Elite white-glove moving: White-glove movers are experts in handling luxury items, such as fine art pieces, antiques, fragile items, high-end electronics and designer furniture and fixtures. They use high-quality blankets, double-layer boxes, dust covers, custom wood crating and climate-controlled trucks to keep your items in perfect condition.
      • Domestic and international shipping: From local laws to building regulations, such as rules on parking trucks in local streets or using the freight elevator to the building’s specifications, FlatRate movers have mastered their craft. Long distance domestic relocation is also made more efficient with their weekly express shuttles. FlatRate Moving is a member of the International Association of Movers, which gives it access to partners in international relocation. The company is also a member of the American Moving and Storage Association, making it a certified mover of the United Nations to relocate government agencies across the globe.

FlatRate Moving Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FlatRate Moving?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

Horrible service with terrible response time from the so-called assigned "relocation consultant". I had the misfortune of choosing this company for an intra-country household goods storage service plus move for a 1bhk apartment. There were a bunch of issues encountered:

1. Horrible response time - it takes a minimum of 5 business days to get a response from your relocation consultant who is supposed to be your go-to person for questions.

2. I stated to them that my shipping date was to be 9/1/2020, for them to ship my goods out of storage in the Bay Area (Hayward) and ship it to my address in Washington. I gave them 10 days notice such that they were aware that I did not want to be charged for storage in the month of September and they committed to me that they would ship it out before the date specified. Additionally, I even had email confirmation from my consultant stating that even if they shipped it a day or two late, I would not be charged for any days in September since I had specified my first date to receive the shipment as 9/1/2020. Regardless of all this, my credit card was charged for the entire month of September. I contacted them regarding the same and the consultant denied having told me anything regarding the charges and said that she had always diverted any storage and payment info to the correct storage department. I submitted a screenshot of email proof regarding the same after which there was radio silence from her end and I had someone from Storage reach out saying that the charge has been submitted for approval to their Accounting department. It has been 3 weeks since then and I have not heard back so far/nor have I received my refund despite multiple follow up emails.

3. Once the items reached my destination location, there were a mix of damaged (a coffee table, loveseat), and missing items (lamp, dresser drawer with an expensive jacket, IKEA nightstand, IKEA lampshade and bulb) that I had reported. My brand new (mint condition) 43" flat screen tv had not been transported and on enquiring they let me know that it had been left behind in the storage unit at Hayward. They said that they would send it by Fedex. On receiving it I found my TV damaged with the screen shattered in multiple areas. Total damages incurred of ~$1200 in addition to an exorbitant $2700 move quote (including insurance) + monthly storage charges.

I have not received an update regarding either my refund (cc charge) or my claim up until now (it has been 3 weeks so far). I am not naming anyone here because I am hopeful that they will still attend to my grievances, but in the event of no response within the next week that will definitely change. In addition to this, I will be escalating this up in the company as well as filing claims with AMSA and/or FMCSA. I am confident of having an airtight case as I have recordings of all our communications that will stand as evidence.

Save yourself the trouble and DO NOT ever make use of this moving service.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Have done a lot of national and international moves and this is the worst moving company I have dealt with. They moved our furniture from the Baltimore port to Bethesda using a little know subcontracted company called Letz Get Moving. The "boss" arrives with only 1 other person having hired 2 other people last minute. The 2 teams did not work well together and they did not have any moving supplies. They dumped everything in our apartment and did not assemble anything or unwrap the furniture per contract and left. There are images to prove that below. DO NOT HIRE THEM. Anyone who wants to go for a class action lawsuit, I am willing to pitch in.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I hired Flatrate Moving to help me and my partner move from a 1-bedroom apartment in Manhattan to upstate NY on Sunday, Aug. 2, and it was an utter disaster from start to finish. They destroyed nearly $3,500 worth of furniture and framed art through gross negligence--and only offered an insulting settlement of $368.40. They also didn't send professional movers--they sent someone in training! Plus, the movers didn't wear masks during the pandemic. After showing up late, the movers went on to do an extremely poor job throughout the move. They started by having the driver place my light-colored upholstered couch directly on the NYC sidewalk (no blankets down to protect it) to wrap it in plastic--no regard for potential stains or damage.

They used a shredded blanket (I have a photo of it) to drag an extremely heavy West Elm dresser down the stairs upside-down. When we unwrapped it at the new apartment, every corner of that item was bashed in, there were deep grooves and scratches all over the top, there was paint stripped off from the tape used by the movers, and the movers snapped the hinge off the cabinet door on the side. It was irreparable, and while I've spent more than a week asking the movers to come back and dispose of it (I can't move it myself), Flatrate Moving has yet to take care of this.

They damaged lightweight furniture from Ikea, including a desk, bookshelf, and drawers--items that I could have taken down the stairs and moved myself without damaging. It almost feels like they TRIED to damage these items. The movers also damaged almost every piece of framed art we paid extra to have them pack with care. Furthermore, they tried to balance a 3-month-old Herman Miller office chair on its back (where delicate components for lumbar support have been installed) on top of many boxes in the moving truck. When I asked that they move it to a more appropriate place, they left a giant black thumb-stain which can't be removed. This chair was in perfect condition before they handled it, and now it's stained and the levers don't work properly.

The amount of damage is absolutely unbelievable for this move. I asked the lead mover (Kyle) for an explanation, and he said that the damage occurred because Flatrate Moving didn't send a professional, they sent a "trainee," who handled my items improperly. I have Kyle's response on video, which I will share on YouTube to warn others about this experience. Kyle summed it up perfectly when he said, "You have a whole lot of damaged items."

Worse yet--these movers almost never wore a mask, even when inside my residences and speaking close to me. We're moving in a pandemic! Wearing a mask is the least they could do, and the lack of this basic precaution shows that Flatrate Moving doesn't give a damn about the health of its customers. My partner and I wore masks throughout the entire move to protect the movers. It is deeply upsetting that they didn't show us the same respect.

We've been working with a variety of people at Flatrate (including sales coordinator Jeff **, claims associate Cici **, and client relations manager Brian **), and they've been largely unresponsive and unhelpful, despite my partner and I trying to be cooperative and figure out a suitable resolution. I intend to file complaints with the Department of Transportation, the Better Business Bureau, the Department of Health, NYC Dept of Consumer Affairs, the Attorney General, and all other regulatory and consumer watchdog organizations to get the word out about this incompetent company. I'm also going to speak with a lawyer about this situation. Do yourself a favor--HIRE ANYONE ELSE BUT FLATRATE MOVING. The company promises a "stress-free move," but dealing with them has been the most stressful part of my move.

Original review: June 23, 2020

If I could give ZERO STARS I WOULD. I've been using FlatRate since 2010 and just came to find out I was a loyalty member. That garnered me their top notch mover who I'd used before. And $100 discount at most. Given we're in a pandemic, FlatRate gave me a quote and charged me for additional cleaning services in the building I moved to me for extra precautions due to Covid 19 requirements. Day of move, I get 3 guys that have collectively been moving and with FlatRate for 2 weeks max. It was a rush job. They brought things down to the truck in increments, wouldn't come back upstairs for some time and when I went to check, one of them was sitting in the truck smoking even after they told me HQ was rushing them.

They left the truck open on the streets of NYC unattended. Packed my work desk with the contents in it and when they flipped the desk, everything came crashing out. They used one box per item in certain cases. Overall was an absolutely AWFUL experience. They breached their contract and I was charged a penalty from my new building. Apart from Covid 19, the service was still awful. I could not get the salesperson to respond to me prior to my move. Day of the move they did a bait and switch. I will NEVER use them again.

Original review: May 30, 2020

I called them to book a move for next month & they asked me & took down all my information and said someone was supposed to get back to me with a quote. Never called me. Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend.

Original review: April 14, 2020

For the second time in 15 years, I used Flat Rate Moving. This time I chose to pay extra for the Elite Services. It was not worth it. They still broke some of my furniture (as they did the first time around 15 years ago) and they have not paid for replacement. Their Claim number is largely unanswered and goes to voice mail without response or follow up. I highly recommend to beware of Flat Rate Moving.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

After this note to them & my calls, Brian is nowhere to be found! Your debit to my account in the amount of $352.16 must be reversed immediately. Please call me and let me know exactly when I will see this adjusted. If this is something that is above your job description, please have someone more senior contact me. In no particular order: Your Relocation Consultant, Sandeep ** visited my home and walked every inch of it from the attic to the basement making exacting notes of what specifically was to be moved and what was to be left behind. He then furnished us with a moving plan in exacting detail. We accepted the offer of $2750.00 for a complete move. We later adjusted the insurance coverage for the move to increase the job by $100.00 to an adjusted total of $2850.00. This was paid in full in advance of the move.

The day of the move everything seemed to go smoothly for the most part & when completed I tipped out your crew in cash. Three days later my bank received a debit from your company for $352.16. No notice of this or any adjustment was presented, you just went in & grabbed my funds. When asked for an explanation, I was told it was for steps during the move that had not been noticed at the time of the estimate. This is completely absurd. It was a complete price for a complete job, nothing extraordinary about the move in or out. Even parking was directly in front of my house & convenient access was provided at the service entrance of the building upon arrival. Further, several items listed in the inventory were not moved at all, (per my request). Finally & I quote from your contract: "We will always quote you the additional cost before proceeding". NO Response to this email nor to calls

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have used FlatRate many times before and I have never been disappointed. They always have a great crew and keep you informed the entire move. This time was no different, we moved from New York to Atlanta and it was well priced, organized and highly professional. Highly recommended for any kind of move you might need.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

They came to my apartment before the move, looked at my stuff, gave me an estimate. We agreed on a price and a date. They came on time on the day of the move, moved my stuff out efficiently, showed up at the new place quickly and unloaded in the same way. They only lost a movie projector en route and only a couple of glasses were broken and the claim l made was handled quickly. They charged only the quoted price.

Resolution response: Sept. 27, 2019

Settled with the company - paid our insurance claim in full.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

DO NOT USE. They will take your money, damage your furniture and then refuse to honor their insurance policy you paid extra for! We've used FlatRate for all of our previous NYC moves, with no major problems. On our most recent move in July, however, FlatRate's movers knocked a chunk out of our large, bespoke Brooklyn-made wooden dining table. We had purchased $10,000 worth of insurance, and FlatRate's movers also assured us that company would quickly take care of the damage, so while very annoyed, we thought it would be quickly taken care of.

We got a quote from our furniture maker for the damage, which would cost $1200 to repair (table pickup/drop off, sanding down the ruined edge, and refinishing the entire table to mask the sanding and make it match). Instead of honoring the quote from our table maker, however, FlatRate randomly decided the damage was only worth $360 and said their no-name, generic furniture repair partner company would handle the repair of our specialty-made table for that amount. Are you kidding me???

On the phone, someone from this random furniture repair company even TOLD us that the furniture maker should be the one to fix the table, not them! FlatRate sold us fraudulent insurance, ruined our table and then did not honor their promise to clean up the mess they made. We now have to cover 3/4 of the cost of this repair ourselves - on top of the exorbitant $2500 FlatRate charged for our move. Suffice to say, we will NEVER, EVER use this fraudulent, money-grubbing company again. Bottom line: DO NOT USE FLATRATE: THEY WILL DAMAGE YOUR FURNITURE AND CHEAT YOU!!!!

FlatRate Moving FAQ

What is flat-rate pricing?
          Flat-rate pricing is a fixed rate for an entire move based on the size of the inventory, value of the items to be moved, fuel costs and truck depreciation. Customers are relieved from hidden charges as long as the approved move plan is adhered to, meaning there are no changes in inventory and no additional services are requested.
          Does FlatRate include boxes and packing in the moving price?
          Generally, boxes and packing services are not included in FlatRate Moving prices except for specific items such as wardrobe boxes, quilting for furniture and boxes for lamps, electronics and photographs. Wardrobe boxes are free but must be returned after the move is completed. You can contact a customer service specialist for an accurate FlatRate moving estimate.
          What is FlatRate movers tipping policy?
          FlatRate movers accept tips for exceptional service. Industry standard is to tip movers 10–20 percent for local moves and 5–8 percent for pickup and delivery services. You can add or remove a tip for your movers through the FlatRate Moving mobile app during or after your move.
          Does FlatRate Moving offer insurance?
          FlatRate Moving offers several insurance options to cover loss and damage to the items moved. Release value protection coverage insures items for a set amount per pound, and full value protection coverage is available to insure household items and goods against damage or loss for their full value. Get advice from your moving consultant or use the FlatRate Moving app to add coverage.
          How do I book a move with FlatRate Moving?

All moves begin by contacting a relocation consultant either over the phone or online. You will provide details relating to your inventory, pickup location, final destination and desired date of delivery. Packing services can be added, though they require an additional fee. The relocation consultant will then plan your relocation and provide a guaranteed price. FlatRate consultants have a 99.6 percent accuracy rate from the move plan estimate to the final price — only adjusting your inventory will change your final price.

The company delivers brand new and durable moving boxes right at your doorstep, so be sure to order the appropriate box sizes to prevent breakage of your items in transit if you are packing yourself. Adjustments to your move plan can be made on moving day but could affect your total final price.

For international relocations, a dedicated consultant will help you prepare. Professional movers are trained in international moving requirements and well-versed with the customs and shipping regulations in each country of destination.

The day before delivery, a representative from FlatRate Moving will call to confirm the time and location of the delivery window. The company may not guarantee an exact time, so you or someone you trust must be available for the entire duration of the delivery window. Any moving-day issues can usually be resolved through FlatRate Moving’s dispatch department.

Do we recommend FlatRate Moving?

Whether you’re moving within the neighborhood, across the country or to another continent, FlatRate Moving provides various services before, during and after the relocation process to make it go as smoothly as possible.  We recommend that you confirm which boxes are included and excluded in the moving price to get an idea of how much to budget for packing expenses. Verified FlatRate Moving reviews are overall positive — all verified customers’ reviews note they were happy with the experience or would recommend FlatRate Moving to a friend.

FlatRate Moving Company Information