Find a Movers partner

3.0/5 (22 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About FlatRate Moving

FlatRate Moving is a New York City-based company that handles moves of any size and distance. It has offices in New York, New Jersey, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami and Orlando. Pricing is always a flat, guaranteed rate and includes furniture packing and wrapping, floor and hallway protection and labor and travel expenses. Request a quote online or over the phone.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Flat-rate prices
    • Easy booking process
    • Price includes packing and wrapping
    • Convenient app

Cons

• Limited local moves
    • Charges two days before move date

Bottom Line

FlatRate charges a guaranteed rate based on moving distance, inventory and the move’s complexity. Boxes and certain packing services are included. The company offers local, long-distance and international moving services.

Top FlatRate Moving Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everything was flawless and great service was provided. The experience on the phone beforehand was easy and pleasant, the movers were on time, professional and clean, and they hel...

Verified

I have used FlatRate many times before and I have never been disappointed. They always have a great crew and keep you informed the entire move. ... Highly recommended for any kind...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

FlatRate Moving services

FlatRate Moving is a moving carrier with a fleet of over 90 vehicles. The company provides guaranteed, upfront pricing for local, long-distance and international moves, and it includes boxes and packing services for specific items like furniture, electronics and artwork.

• Local moving: FlatRate Moving provides local moving services in New York City, New Jersey, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Washington, D.C., Orlando and London. FlatRate Moving also handles special requests, including additional packing, electronics installation and late-night service.
    • Office moving: FlatRate Moving has experience relocating all types of businesses. Services include office moving, event management, commercial storage, warehousing, government moving and military moving. Commercial moves include a project manager, a custom moving timeline, color-coded inventory, overnight moving, overnight storage, furniture disassembly and assembly and IT setup.
    • Packing services: FlatRate movers personalize packing services for each move. Standard moving includes special boxes for and packing of furniture, mattresses, flat-screen TVs, lamps, mirrors, artwork, sculptures and electronics. FlatRate can also pack pots, pans, dishes, books and clothes.
    • Storage: Short-term and long-term storage are available in climate-controlled units that are monitored 24/7. Customers can use the FlatRate app to create a photo inventory and request delivery of their items. FlatRate Moving has over 50 different room sizes at its company-owned and -operated facilities.
    • Long-distance moving: FlatRate Moving has a consolidated shipping option — which divides a trailer for multiple client shipments — to save customers money. It also has “express trips” to frequent destinations, and you can request exclusive service for your own trailer and direct delivery.
    Local movingLong-distance moving
    Custom crating available
    Local moving
    Long-distance moving

FlatRate Moving rates

To get a quote from FlatRate, submit a quick form on its website or call the company. Every move has a guaranteed flat rate, which has 99.6% accuracy, according to FlatRate. The price changes only if you adjust your inventory or change other important details of your move. Your quote is calculated based on your belongings, the distance and additional details, like if there are multiple flights of stairs.

FlatRate accepts major credit cards, cash, money orders and wire transfers. It doesn’t accept checks or Discover credit cards. The company charges customers two business days before a move.

How do I book a move with FlatRate Moving?

FlatRate Moving recommends booking at least three weeks in advance for local moves and at least four weeks in advance for long-distance and international moves. To schedule a move, fill out the free quote form on the company’s website. You can also call FlatRate or enter your phone number to receive a callback. Have the following information ready:

• The address you’re moving from
    • The address you’re moving to
    • Your preferred moving date
    • The size of your apartment or home
    • Your contact information

FlateRate Moving FAQ

What is flat-rate pricing?
    Flat-rate pricing from FlatRate Moving is a guaranteed, fixed rate for a move based on the distance, the volume of your possessions and the complexity of the move. The all-inclusive price includes packing and wrapping of furniture, packing of other specific household items and all labor and travel expenses.
    Does FlatRate include boxes and packing in the moving price?
    Yes, FlatRate boxes are free, and movers will pack certain items, such as furniture, lamps, electronics, flat-screen TVs, computers and artwork. Packing of other items is available for an additional fee.
    What is FlatRate Moving’s tipping policy?
    FlatRate movers accept tips. According to the company’s website, the industry standard is 10% to 20% for local moves and 5% to 8% for a long-distance move (split between pickup and delivery teams). You can add a tip for your movers using the My FlatRate app.
    Does FlatRate Moving offer insurance?
    FlatRate Moving offers several insurance options to cover loss and damage of your items. Ask a FlatRate relocation consultant about your options, or choose your coverage using the company app.

Do we recommend FlatRate Moving?

If you live within FlatRate Moving’s service area and are interested in a full-service move, consider getting a free consultation and quote. Its all-inclusive, guaranteed pricing includes boxes and packing of high-value items with no hourly charges. Plus, you can use the My FlatRate app to manage your move, track the moving trucks in real time and send messages to the movers. Call or fill out a form online to get started.

FlatRate Moving Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FlatRate Moving?

Original review: June 26, 2021

Harris and his team were excellent. They arrived early, went over all of my possessions, and got to work right away. They were efficient, kind, and professional throughout the move and I could not have asked for a better moving experience.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I used FlatRate Moving to move from NYC to NJ. PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT. All my items were wrapped like presents - protected from the elements/dings. Everything arrived perfectly. The team put my furniture in all the right places. Unpacked everything. I could not be more happy. I will recommend them to everyone I know. FLATRATE for the WIN. Terrance and his team are the best group of guys - ask for them.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I have moved so many many times throughout NYC - this is the first time I've used FlatRate Moving and WOW - they're heads and shoulders above the many other moving companies that I've used. Gerald and his team were careful, courteous, and above all PROFESSIONAL. I cannot stress that last part enough - professional. I also had some items stored in their storage facility. Temp controlled - locked - guarded - AM I DREAMING? There are many moving companies out there that claim to be one thing but end up being another. Not FlatRate Moving - they're the real deal.

Original review: June 25, 2021

NOT a guaranteed price! Price WILL INCREASE upon arrival by MORE THAN HALF! I was quoted a cross country move for a one bedroom apartment. I told my sales rep that my things took up half of a 10x12 storage unit and furnished a 1 bedroom apartment. Based off of that, my sales rep prepared my inventory list. Upon the movers arrival, I was told it would be an additional $1,400 because not everything was listed on my inventory list. I have used movers several times before, both local and long distance. I have only ever needed to provide the information listed above. My sales rep spent 10 minutes on the phone with me and my understanding was that she had all the information she needed. Because my sales rep did not properly do her job, I am being charged more than quoted. This is NOT a guaranteed price.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Flatrate is wonderful for *small* moves, where you need a team of 3 people. *However*, our interstate move at the beginning of October 2020, with 9 men, was *horrific*. Half the men were lovely (great attitude, hard workers, trained and/or concerned about doing a good job). The other half behaved like thugs off the streets - terrible attitude and disregard for our possessions. *Many* items were scratched and broken, and some things are still missing, after going through all the boxes carefully, several times. I was adamant with the two foremen and the guys that any box - and most were small document sized boxes to make moving them easier for all of us - that had bright pink duck tape meant these were essentials and needed to be easily accessible because of my hand injuries; completely disregarded despite many requests to follow the color coding system.

When I complained to my sales representative about the behavior and scratched and broken items, the same person I have worked with for more than 10 years (multiple office and residential moves) said she would have someone call me. No one called. I called customer service, left a message, and am still waiting for a response. Yes, it was a big move, with multiple trucks, but this is their business. I expected SO much more from FlatRate especially for $15,000, thank you. They should be ashamed of 1) how they handled the move and 2) how they handled (did not handle) my post-move complaints. I will never use or recommend them again, for anything - terrible move experience and terrible customer care.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

Horrible service with terrible response time from the so-called assigned "relocation consultant". I had the misfortune of choosing this company for an intra-country household goods storage service plus move for a 1bhk apartment. There were a bunch of issues encountered:

1. Horrible response time - it takes a minimum of 5 business days to get a response from your relocation consultant who is supposed to be your go-to person for questions.

2. I stated to them that my shipping date was to be 9/1/2020, for them to ship my goods out of storage in the Bay Area (Hayward) and ship it to my address in Washington. I gave them 10 days notice such that they were aware that I did not want to be charged for storage in the month of September and they committed to me that they would ship it out before the date specified. Additionally, I even had email confirmation from my consultant stating that even if they shipped it a day or two late, I would not be charged for any days in September since I had specified my first date to receive the shipment as 9/1/2020. Regardless of all this, my credit card was charged for the entire month of September. I contacted them regarding the same and the consultant denied having told me anything regarding the charges and said that she had always diverted any storage and payment info to the correct storage department. I submitted a screenshot of email proof regarding the same after which there was radio silence from her end and I had someone from Storage reach out saying that the charge has been submitted for approval to their Accounting department. It has been 3 weeks since then and I have not heard back so far/nor have I received my refund despite multiple follow up emails.

3. Once the items reached my destination location, there were a mix of damaged (a coffee table, loveseat), and missing items (lamp, dresser drawer with an expensive jacket, IKEA nightstand, IKEA lampshade and bulb) that I had reported. My brand new (mint condition) 43" flat screen tv had not been transported and on enquiring they let me know that it had been left behind in the storage unit at Hayward. They said that they would send it by Fedex. On receiving it I found my TV damaged with the screen shattered in multiple areas. Total damages incurred of ~$1200 in addition to an exorbitant $2700 move quote (including insurance) + monthly storage charges.

I have not received an update regarding either my refund (cc charge) or my claim up until now (it has been 3 weeks so far). I am not naming anyone here because I am hopeful that they will still attend to my grievances, but in the event of no response within the next week that will definitely change. In addition to this, I will be escalating this up in the company as well as filing claims with AMSA and/or FMCSA. I am confident of having an airtight case as I have recordings of all our communications that will stand as evidence.

Save yourself the trouble and DO NOT ever make use of this moving service.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Have done a lot of national and international moves and this is the worst moving company I have dealt with. They moved our furniture from the Baltimore port to Bethesda using a little know subcontracted company called Letz Get Moving. The "boss" arrives with only 1 other person having hired 2 other people last minute. The 2 teams did not work well together and they did not have any moving supplies. They dumped everything in our apartment and did not assemble anything or unwrap the furniture per contract and left. There are images to prove that below. DO NOT HIRE THEM. Anyone who wants to go for a class action lawsuit, I am willing to pitch in.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I hired Flatrate Moving to help me and my partner move from a 1-bedroom apartment in Manhattan to upstate NY on Sunday, Aug. 2, and it was an utter disaster from start to finish. They destroyed nearly $3,500 worth of furniture and framed art through gross negligence--and only offered an insulting settlement of $368.40. They also didn't send professional movers--they sent someone in training! Plus, the movers didn't wear masks during the pandemic. After showing up late, the movers went on to do an extremely poor job throughout the move. They started by having the driver place my light-colored upholstered couch directly on the NYC sidewalk (no blankets down to protect it) to wrap it in plastic--no regard for potential stains or damage.

They used a shredded blanket (I have a photo of it) to drag an extremely heavy West Elm dresser down the stairs upside-down. When we unwrapped it at the new apartment, every corner of that item was bashed in, there were deep grooves and scratches all over the top, there was paint stripped off from the tape used by the movers, and the movers snapped the hinge off the cabinet door on the side. It was irreparable, and while I've spent more than a week asking the movers to come back and dispose of it (I can't move it myself), Flatrate Moving has yet to take care of this.

They damaged lightweight furniture from Ikea, including a desk, bookshelf, and drawers--items that I could have taken down the stairs and moved myself without damaging. It almost feels like they TRIED to damage these items. The movers also damaged almost every piece of framed art we paid extra to have them pack with care. Furthermore, they tried to balance a 3-month-old Herman Miller office chair on its back (where delicate components for lumbar support have been installed) on top of many boxes in the moving truck. When I asked that they move it to a more appropriate place, they left a giant black thumb-stain which can't be removed. This chair was in perfect condition before they handled it, and now it's stained and the levers don't work properly.

The amount of damage is absolutely unbelievable for this move. I asked the lead mover (Kyle) for an explanation, and he said that the damage occurred because Flatrate Moving didn't send a professional, they sent a "trainee," who handled my items improperly. I have Kyle's response on video, which I will share on YouTube to warn others about this experience. Kyle summed it up perfectly when he said, "You have a whole lot of damaged items."

Worse yet--these movers almost never wore a mask, even when inside my residences and speaking close to me. We're moving in a pandemic! Wearing a mask is the least they could do, and the lack of this basic precaution shows that Flatrate Moving doesn't give a damn about the health of its customers. My partner and I wore masks throughout the entire move to protect the movers. It is deeply upsetting that they didn't show us the same respect.

We've been working with a variety of people at Flatrate (including sales coordinator Jeff **, claims associate Cici **, and client relations manager Brian **), and they've been largely unresponsive and unhelpful, despite my partner and I trying to be cooperative and figure out a suitable resolution. I intend to file complaints with the Department of Transportation, the Better Business Bureau, the Department of Health, NYC Dept of Consumer Affairs, the Attorney General, and all other regulatory and consumer watchdog organizations to get the word out about this incompetent company. I'm also going to speak with a lawyer about this situation. Do yourself a favor--HIRE ANYONE ELSE BUT FLATRATE MOVING. The company promises a "stress-free move," but dealing with them has been the most stressful part of my move.

Original review: June 23, 2020

If I could give ZERO STARS I WOULD. I've been using FlatRate since 2010 and just came to find out I was a loyalty member. That garnered me their top notch mover who I'd used before. And $100 discount at most. Given we're in a pandemic, FlatRate gave me a quote and charged me for additional cleaning services in the building I moved to me for extra precautions due to Covid 19 requirements. Day of move, I get 3 guys that have collectively been moving and with FlatRate for 2 weeks max. It was a rush job. They brought things down to the truck in increments, wouldn't come back upstairs for some time and when I went to check, one of them was sitting in the truck smoking even after they told me HQ was rushing them.

They left the truck open on the streets of NYC unattended. Packed my work desk with the contents in it and when they flipped the desk, everything came crashing out. They used one box per item in certain cases. Overall was an absolutely AWFUL experience. They breached their contract and I was charged a penalty from my new building. Apart from Covid 19, the service was still awful. I could not get the salesperson to respond to me prior to my move. Day of the move they did a bait and switch. I will NEVER use them again.

Original review: May 30, 2020

I called them to book a move for next month & they asked me & took down all my information and said someone was supposed to get back to me with a quote. Never called me. Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend.

Original review: April 14, 2020

For the second time in 15 years, I used Flat Rate Moving. This time I chose to pay extra for the Elite Services. It was not worth it. They still broke some of my furniture (as they did the first time around 15 years ago) and they have not paid for replacement. Their Claim number is largely unanswered and goes to voice mail without response or follow up. I highly recommend to beware of Flat Rate Moving.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

After this note to them & my calls, Brian is nowhere to be found! Your debit to my account in the amount of $352.16 must be reversed immediately. Please call me and let me know exactly when I will see this adjusted. If this is something that is above your job description, please have someone more senior contact me. In no particular order: Your Relocation Consultant, Sandeep ** visited my home and walked every inch of it from the attic to the basement making exacting notes of what specifically was to be moved and what was to be left behind. He then furnished us with a moving plan in exacting detail. We accepted the offer of $2750.00 for a complete move. We later adjusted the insurance coverage for the move to increase the job by $100.00 to an adjusted total of $2850.00. This was paid in full in advance of the move.

The day of the move everything seemed to go smoothly for the most part & when completed I tipped out your crew in cash. Three days later my bank received a debit from your company for $352.16. No notice of this or any adjustment was presented, you just went in & grabbed my funds. When asked for an explanation, I was told it was for steps during the move that had not been noticed at the time of the estimate. This is completely absurd. It was a complete price for a complete job, nothing extraordinary about the move in or out. Even parking was directly in front of my house & convenient access was provided at the service entrance of the building upon arrival. Further, several items listed in the inventory were not moved at all, (per my request). Finally & I quote from your contract: "We will always quote you the additional cost before proceeding". NO Response to this email nor to calls

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have used FlatRate many times before and I have never been disappointed. They always have a great crew and keep you informed the entire move. This time was no different, we moved from New York to Atlanta and it was well priced, organized and highly professional. Highly recommended for any kind of move you might need.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

FlatRate Moving Company Information