This company is not yet accredited. See reviews below to learn more or submit your own review.
With over 20 years of experience, FlatRate Moving built upon its success as NYC's #1 most preferred moving company. FlatRate now operates across the world offering an all-inclusive, one-price move, with no surprise costs. Whether you are moving locally or cross-country, you can enjoy peace of mind when you partner with FlatRate to complete your move safely and on schedule. Their team of specialists always starts with proper planning, so they will work with you to create a detailed inventory and plan to meet all of your moving needs. Call for a free quote today!
FlatRate Moving company changed the industry with flat-rate pricing and is now one of the most trusted movers in NYC. Fees for specific boxes and packing services aren’t included in flat-rate prices, but moving services are available worldwide.
- User-friendly mobile app
- Locked-in prices
- Easy booking process
- Fast and efficient services
- Less flexible delivery windows
- Additional cost for some packing services
Everything was flawless and great service was provided. The experience on the phone beforehand was easy and pleasant, the movers were on time, professional and clean, and they helped with every detail that I couldn't even have thought of.Read full review
Honestly I wish I had known about them sooner. In the past I've had so many bad moving experiences. This is an organized and friendly place.Read full review
About FlatRate moving and storage services
FlatRate Moving is fully licensed, insured and bonded and in compliance with regulations set by the Interstate Commerce Commission and New York Department of Transportation. FlatRate Moving has expanded operations into eight major cities across the U.S. and 160 locations around the world. Once your move plan is in place, the price is fixed for the whole journey.
- Local moving: FlatRate Moving provides local moving services in New York City, New Jersey, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Washington, D.C., Orlando and London, U.K. FlatRate Moving also handles special requests, like packing and crating, cleaning services and equipment dismantling, and reinstallation. Plus, you can efficiently manage your move from your phone at any time with FlatRate Moving’s mobile app.
- Office moving: FlatRate Moving has experience relocating offices in commercial complexes as well as academic or government offices. Movers study floorplans before arrival to the new location to ensure that everything will be in place correctly.
- Packing services: FlatRate movers use a specialized approach and the best materials for each item packed. They use durable packing materials, such as thick blankets, sturdy boxes, wooden crates and cell boxes, styrofoam plates, bubble wrap and crumply paper material for your fragile household items. FlatRate carpenters are experts in building custom crates for delicate objects, previous art pieces, antiques, pianos, wine collections and chandeliers.
- Storage: Short-term and long-term storage are available in clean, secure and climate-controlled rooms. All storage facilities in New York City, Miami, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and New Jersey are owned by FlatRate Moving company. Short-term storage is best when you’re planning to relocate but are renting in the meantime or if your current residents are undergoing renovations. Long-term storage options are available to keep items protected while abroad or, for example, when you have furniture that you want to get rid of eventually, but not quite yet.
- Long distance moving: For long distance relocations, FlatRate Moving company operates weekly express shuttles to guarantee agreed delivery dates. Each relocation is assigned a dedicated cross-country moving specialists who are professionally trained to pack for long trips. Movers use extra durable packing materials, double-wrap all furniture and pack fragile items in customized wooden crates. With an office in London and a network of over 160 agents around the globe, FlatRate Moving has a dedicated international department to handle the planning and logistics of international moving.
|Local moving||Long-distance moving|
|Free short-term storage|
|One fixed price|
|Weekly express shuttles|
|Custom crating available|
FlatRate Moving company specialties
Aside from providing quality packing materials and trucks, FlatRate Moving offers specialized services for domestic and international moving as well as storage solutions. FlatRate movers and packers have perfected the moving process whether you’re looking to relocate locally, move to another state or accept a new job overseas.
- NYC moving: As one of the best NYC moving companies, movers and drivers can navigate the five boroughs effortlessly, even in the most intense traffic centers and lousy weather. New Yorkers are eligible for The FlatRate Loyalty Club, which allows you to request a quote, refer friends, win prizes and more.
- Full-service storage: FlatRate offers short-term and long-term full-service storage at flat rate pricing with full packing, moving and delivery services. Full-service storage services come with high-security facilities, climate-controlled storage space and exact unit storage sizes, so you don’t pay for space you don’t use.
- Elite white-glove moving: White-glove movers are experts in handling luxury items, such as fine art pieces, antiques, fragile items, high-end electronics and designer furniture and fixtures. They use high-quality blankets, double-layer boxes, dust covers, custom wood crating and climate-controlled trucks to keep your items in perfect condition.
- Domestic and international shipping: From local laws to building regulations, such as rules on parking trucks in local streets or using the freight elevator to the building’s specifications, FlatRate movers have mastered their craft. Long distance domestic relocation is also made more efficient with their weekly express shuttles. FlatRate Moving is a member of the International Association of Movers, which gives it access to partners in international relocation. The company is also a member of the American Moving and Storage Association, making it a certified mover of the United Nations to relocate government agencies across the globe.
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
I have used FlatRate many times before and I have never been disappointed. They always have a great crew and keep you informed the entire move. This time was no different, we moved from New York to Atlanta and it was well priced, organized and highly professional. Highly recommended for any kind of move you might need.
They came to my apartment before the move, looked at my stuff, gave me an estimate. We agreed on a price and a date. They came on time on the day of the move, moved my stuff out efficiently, showed up at the new place quickly and unloaded in the same way. They only lost a movie projector en route and only a couple of glasses were broken and the claim l made was handled quickly. They charged only the quoted price.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
This is the company that you wanna hire, they did an amazing job to move my 2bdr apartment. I will hire them again without any thinking and calling another movers. I will 100% recommend them!!! Thanks!!!
After this note to them & my calls, Brian is nowhere to be found! Your debit to my account in the amount of $352.16 must be reversed immediately. Please call me and let me know exactly when I will see this adjusted. If this is something that is above your job description, please have someone more senior contact me. In no particular order: Your Relocation Consultant, Sandeep ** visited my home and walked every inch of it from the attic to the basement making exacting notes of what specifically was to be moved and what was to be left behind. He then furnished us with a moving plan in exacting detail. We accepted the offer of $2750.00 for a complete move. We later adjusted the insurance coverage for the move to increase the job by $100.00 to an adjusted total of $2850.00. This was paid in full in advance of the move.
The day of the move everything seemed to go smoothly for the most part & when completed I tipped out your crew in cash. Three days later my bank received a debit from your company for $352.16. No notice of this or any adjustment was presented, you just went in & grabbed my funds. When asked for an explanation, I was told it was for steps during the move that had not been noticed at the time of the estimate. This is completely absurd. It was a complete price for a complete job, nothing extraordinary about the move in or out. Even parking was directly in front of my house & convenient access was provided at the service entrance of the building upon arrival. Further, several items listed in the inventory were not moved at all, (per my request). Finally & I quote from your contract: "We will always quote you the additional cost before proceeding". NO Response to this email nor to calls
Settled with the company - paid our insurance claim in full.
DO NOT USE. They will take your money, damage your furniture and then refuse to honor their insurance policy you paid extra for! We've used FlatRate for all of our previous NYC moves, with no major problems. On our most recent move in July, however, FlatRate's movers knocked a chunk out of our large, bespoke Brooklyn-made wooden dining table. We had purchased $10,000 worth of insurance, and FlatRate's movers also assured us that company would quickly take care of the damage, so while very annoyed, we thought it would be quickly taken care of.
We got a quote from our furniture maker for the damage, which would cost $1200 to repair (table pickup/drop off, sanding down the ruined edge, and refinishing the entire table to mask the sanding and make it match). Instead of honoring the quote from our table maker, however, FlatRate randomly decided the damage was only worth $360 and said their no-name, generic furniture repair partner company would handle the repair of our specialty-made table for that amount. Are you kidding me???
On the phone, someone from this random furniture repair company even TOLD us that the furniture maker should be the one to fix the table, not them! FlatRate sold us fraudulent insurance, ruined our table and then did not honor their promise to clean up the mess they made. We now have to cover 3/4 of the cost of this repair ourselves - on top of the exorbitant $2500 FlatRate charged for our move. Suffice to say, we will NEVER, EVER use this fraudulent, money-grubbing company again. Bottom line: DO NOT USE FLATRATE: THEY WILL DAMAGE YOUR FURNITURE AND CHEAT YOU!!!!
- 2,250,316 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
Flatrate did my mother's move in April 2019. Her furniture and goods were moved to flatrate warehouse as her new apartment was only going to be available in August. In August at the scheduled date, movers arrived at my mother's new apartment. After 30 minutes or so movers told us that that was it!!! That's when we realized that they only brought back half of her furniture and none of her boxes. The movers told us that this was what the warehouse gave them. So after numerous phone calls, hours, days on the phone with Flatrate. They finally acknowledged that furniture and goods were LOST. We could not believe it. They sent me a claim form to complete. So we completed the form including pictures (because in addition the lost furniture/goods, the furniture that made it to the apartment were damaged) and receipts.
After weeks of calling (and no answer from claim department), I finally received a resolution. They offered $750!!! for sofa, ottoman, bed frame, lamp, chairs and all my mother's goods from kitchen to bathroom to clothes, bedding etc.... this is just unbelievable. I appealed the case with flatrate department and I am waiting for their response. But at this time, I will like to make sure I am sharing this with everyone who is looking at flatrate for their move or storage. Please DO NOT USE FLATRATE.
I used this organization to move, and had a good experience, respectable customer service, and timely and appropriate movers. All in all, a success, and will use them again!
Honestly I wish I had known about them sooner. In the past I've had so many bad moving experiences. This is an organized and friendly place. I'll def use them again
FlatRate moving company hands down are the best movers to work with. The team who came were awesome. They were prompt, friendly and took great care of my furniture. I would definitely recommend them to my friends and family and will be using them again in the future.
From the pre-move experience to post-move check-ins, everything was flawless and great service was provided. The experience on the phone beforehand was easy and pleasant, the movers were on time, professional and clean, and they helped with every detail that I couldn't even have thought of.
FlatRate Moving FAQ
- What is flat-rate pricing?
- Flat-rate pricing is a fixed rate for an entire move based on the size of the inventory, value of the items to be moved, fuel costs and truck depreciation. Customers are relieved from hidden charges as long as the approved move plan is adhered to, meaning there are no changes in inventory and no additional services are requested.
- Does FlatRate include boxes and packing in the moving price?
- Generally, boxes and packing services are not included in FlatRate Moving prices except for specific items such as wardrobe boxes, quilting for furniture and boxes for lamps, electronics and photographs. Wardrobe boxes are free but must be returned after the move is completed. You can contact a customer service specialist for an accurate FlatRate moving estimate.
- What is FlatRate movers tipping policy?
- FlatRate movers accept tips for exceptional service. Industry standard is to tip movers 10–20 percent for local moves and 5–8 percent for pickup and delivery services. You can add or remove a tip for your movers through the FlatRate Moving mobile app during or after your move.
- Does FlatRate Moving offer insurance?
- FlatRate Moving offers several insurance options to cover loss and damage to the items moved. Release value protection coverage insures items for a set amount per pound, and full value protection coverage is available to insure household items and goods against damage or loss for their full value. Get advice from your moving consultant or use the FlatRate Moving app to add coverage.
- How do I book a move with FlatRate Moving?
All moves begin by contacting a relocation consultant either over the phone or online. You will provide details relating to your inventory, pickup location, final destination and desired date of delivery. Packing services can be added, though they require an additional fee. The relocation consultant will then plan your relocation and provide a guaranteed price. FlatRate consultants have a 99.6 percent accuracy rate from the move plan estimate to the final price — only adjusting your inventory will change your final price.
The company delivers brand new and durable moving boxes right at your doorstep, so be sure to order the appropriate box sizes to prevent breakage of your items in transit if you are packing yourself. Adjustments to your move plan can be made on moving day but could affect your total final price.
For international relocations, a dedicated consultant will help you prepare. Professional movers are trained in international moving requirements and well-versed with the customs and shipping regulations in each country of destination.
The day before delivery, a representative from FlatRate Moving will call to confirm the time and location of the delivery window. The company may not guarantee an exact time, so you or someone you trust must be available for the entire duration of the delivery window. Any moving-day issues can usually be resolved through FlatRate Moving’s dispatch department.
Do we recommend FlatRate Moving?
Whether you’re moving within the neighborhood, across the country or to another continent, FlatRate Moving provides various services before, during and after the relocation process to make it go as smoothly as possible. We recommend that you confirm which boxes are included and excluded in the moving price to get an idea of how much to budget for packing expenses. Verified FlatRate Moving reviews are overall positive — all verified customers’ reviews note they were happy with the experience or would recommend FlatRate Moving to a friend.
FlatRate Moving Company Information
- Company Name:
- FlatRate Moving
- Company Type:
- Year Founded:
- 555 West 25th Street
- New York
- Postal Code:
- United States