4.2/5 (157 ratings)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About Optima Tax Relief

Optima Tax Relief specializes in helping individuals deal with aggressive collection by the IRS and state tax agencies. The team at Optima includes seasoned tax attorneys and enrolled agents that are approved by the IRS to represent American taxpayers. The firm is well versed in tax negotiation and settlement, IRS audit defense, levies and liens, wage garnishment and back taxes.

Find Tax Relief partners near you

Pros

• Available nationwide
    • 15-day money back satisfaction guarantee
    • Tax attorneys on staff

Cons

• Minimum debt required

Bottom Line

Optima Tax Relief is an industry leader with an experienced staff. They provide quality tax relief services and protection against the IRS and state tax agencies.

Optima Tax Relief services

Optima Tax relief offers a variety of tax solutions and assistance, including tax liability investigation and resolution proposals, tax preparation and compliance, and tax settlement and negotiation.

The company has vast experience with several common resolutions, including:

• Offer in Compromise (OIC)
    • Penalty Abatement
    • Installment Agreement
    • Partial Pay Installment Agreement (PPIA)
    • Tax lien discharge
    • Statute of limitations
    • Collection appeal
    • Administration appeal
    • Administrative appeal

How does Optima Tax Relief work?

Optima Tax Relief breaks down its simple process into four easy steps: consultation, investigation, resolution and freedom.

The initial consultation is 100% free and includes discussing your tax concerns with a member of the Optima Tax Relief team, allowing them to assess the situation and decide which tax solution is appropriate for your case.

Once you begin official work with Optima, the investigation begins, and typically takes two to four weeks to complete. In this phase, the professionals at Optima Tax Relief will establish communication with the IRS and review case summary options.

From there, Optima will begin working on a resolution with the IRS for your case. This stage will be the longest part of the process, and the firm estimates it will take anywhere from three to nine months.

Optima Tax Relief FAQ

How much does Optima Tax Relief cost?

Unfortunately, there is no pricing available for Optima Tax Relief on its website; however, this is common for any tax relief company as each case can be vastly different from the next. For any prices, make sure to book a free consultation — once an Optima Tax Relief representative understands your unique situation, they should be able to provide accurate numbers before moving forward.

With research, we found other sites say that the average fee for services is $4,000 with a minimum of $10,000 in tax debt required to qualify for assistance.

Does Optima Tax Relief offer any type of guarantee?
    Yes. Optima Tax advertises a 15-day money-back satisfaction guarantee. This guarantee means you can cancel without any fees or penalties should you be dissatisfied with services within the first 15-days of working with the company.

Do we recommend Optima Tax Relief?

Optima Tax Relief is a leader in the industry and provides high-quality assistance with several appealing tax relief solutions. Their policies and core values are laid out on their site in clear terms, and their list of services for tax relief needs are very comprehensive. Based on online reviews, it looks like the minimum required debt to enroll in one of their programs is $10,000. Should you find yourself in $10,000 in tax debt and need help, we recommend considering a consultation with Optima Tax Relief.

Optima Tax Relief Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optima Tax Relief?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Optima Tax Relief?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

Around March 2018 I started working with Optima to resolve my tax issue. I would advise you avoid them as they are unhelpful, uncaring, and only concerned with your money. First they charge you an absurd amount of money for services that you can do for free. Second, they are impossible to get a hold of, until you miss a monthly payment or want to pay them to perform another service. And last those extra services you pay for, in my case, they were never performed. I asked Optima to apply tax forgiveness and an offer in kind and paid $495 each time. Only to contact the IRS and find out no one ever filed on my behalf. So after hearing this I called and demanded a refund. I paid around $4500 over the course of 4 years working with them and offered me an amazing $350 refund, which is laughable. And the latest insult is now they won't release the refund until I remove a negative review which is very illegal in California.

I reached out to other people who had similar experiences with Optima and here is what I discovered. They are a "pay up front" scam, the only reason they avoid legal trouble is because they charge just below the legal limit of fraud. For, example is the limit for fraud is $5000 in California then they'll charge $4995. Also they only set up payment plans with the IRS, which I said before you can do for free, and if you have liens setting up a payment plan and making 3 monthly payments will qualify you for the Fresh Start program which would remove them. Any reputable law firm will tell you that you can do this for free before accepting any money.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

I owe lots of money to the IRS and I went to Optima to help me resolve some of this hoping for some kind of reduction!! But nothing!! I ended up owing more after almost 3-4 years processing. Due to the pandemic it took longer!! I paid them 4k for these services...I basically ended up in a 850.00 never ending monthly payment plan. I'm feeling defeated at this point like there's no end in sight for me!!

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

This company has no business integrity or accountability; it is a waste of time consulting this firm, consequently, the interest on your debt with the IRS continues to grow...DON'T DO IT!!! It has been almost 2yrs I consulted the service of this company and made all the payments: almost $4k in total including consultation fee of $495, yet NO RESOLUTION! I barely get any case update or feedback from them, but constant request for bank statements which is very annoying. I certainly will not recommend Optima Tax Relief to anyone...No doubt, taking this route was one of my BIGGEST MISTAKEs!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

For 3 years I have been on pins and needles waiting on a positive outcome for my tax issues with the IRS. I end up having to pay more to the IRS. This was a waste of my time and money. When calling you are put on hold for a long time and calls are not returned. I would have been better off talking to the IRS myself.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

Optima Tax charged me $8140 in December 2021 and did absolutely nothing until I was issued a levy letter in August 2022. I received multiple letters over the time frame about representation being established with the IRS, progression of the case, taxes being prepared, etc. to be told by the Optima RO team those messages were system generated and nothing had been done on my case since full payment in December. There was a rapid attempt to get involved at that point. I moved forward with the IRS on my own so I would not lose everything I have. I had to have another company file my taxes etc.

I requested a refund and was told I was entitled $1100. They also misrepresented the company to the BBB when I filed a complaint and stated they reached out to me for resolution after the initial insult of refund. Hindsight is perfect, I have been told by the IRS and other tax companies that this is common practice for Optima. I want my money. They did nothing for refunded.

Original review: July 31, 2022

Signed up with this den of thieves 11/07/19 to fix my tax problems. Sent in all required paperwork, initial fee $595.00 and $10,000. So after 1 year and 10 months 2 tax returns, 2 extensions were completed with a installment plan amounting to $895/month. What a joke! What kind of help is this? You can call the IRS and set that up yourself. Since they did not resolve my case to my satisfaction. I FIRED THEM!! This sorry excuse of a tax resolution company will not refund my money. They will want their fees upfront. Suggestion: Get on a monthly payment plan so if they do not resolve your case you can cut your losses. BEST SOLUTION: DO NOT USE THESE GREEDY PIGS AT ALL!!

Original review: July 23, 2022

I have requested their services about a year ago, to help to reduce or alleviate my current tax debt. Even after paying them $4,680.00 for their services, which could of been better used to pay down my IRS debt instead. As of the date of this review, I have not received any good results in my favor. I am being requested that I upload a completed 433-d form which I did so I can start paying $200 a month which is exactly what I was doing prior to contacting Optima Tax relief in the first place.

I have requested an escalation on my case many times, I requested a callback from a Manager with no avail. I had numerous meeting scheduled by Optima Tax Relief that no one ever responded to. This whole experience has been a joke. They haven't done anything for me or for my case that I couldn't have done for myself. All they do is take your money. DO NOT USE OPTIMA TAX RELEIF!!!!

Continuation... After leaving the above review, I was contacted by Optima Tax Relief by the "Executive Review Board team" immediately to pretty much tell me that they want to close my case and terminate the relationship and as a courtesy wants to refund $950 of the $4650 I paid them to do nothing... I took a picture of the email received and posted it to this review.

After doing some research I have found that this a normal practice and I am not the only one that has fell victim to this scam. Do your research folks. Go to the BBB and look at all the 1000 of bad reviews that have been posted about OTR. you can also go to dirtyscam.com and see many more. There is even a Facebook Group dedicated to Optima Tax Relief SCAMS!!! Remember to look at my picture of the email received for verification. I will be obviously escalated this to get my money back... I will be opening/filing a case with the BBB as well. Can you say Class Action Lawsuit!!!

Original review: May 18, 2022

I would steer clear of this company. My experience with them started in August of 2021. I uploaded all my tax transcripts, and financial documents. This initial review cost $295.00. No big deal. The IRS was threatening to garnish my wages. I did not get any movement on my case until the week the IRS stated they would enforce collections. This took me contacting Optima, to get some movement. They then charged me $9995.00 to move to a resolution phase. I did not hear from them again until January of 2022. I entered an installment agreement. Which cost me a $225,00 feel (IRS). I paid the agreement early each month. Then the IRS stated I defaulted on my agreement, by not paying my 2021 taxes on time. I presented evidence from my bank, and from my IRS transcripts, that I did pay it on time. April 18, 2022.

Optima called me and stated that the IRS has reinstated my agreement, and I needed to pay the $225,00 again. I asked them to protest, the default, but the "Tax expert," told me, I had defaulted. Though evidence shows I did not. Another person called, by the way, not until I had paid Optima completely, to tell me they really couldn't do anything to decrease the amount owed. Thanks for not telling me earlier. I would have rather used the money I paid them to go towards my debt. Bottom line...I paid over $10,000.00 for them to make a few phone calls, and fill out a few publically available forms. I could have done all of this my self, but I was a fool. The IRS has independent tax experts that can help do this for free, Please, use my expensive mistake to save yourself money and frustration. I do not recommend working with this company. A tax attorney would have been cheaper.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

DON'T DO IT. Optima was attentive and present with us until we paid the required legal fees. Then they basically ghosted us unless we contacted them. Many times we did not even get a callback or response on our inquiries. We were told we were being protected from any I.R.S. threats or levies for nearly 2 years but never given a status on what or was not being done or negotiated on our behalf. We continued to receive and uploaded to Optima threatening notices and documents we were getting from the I.R.S. It was as if we were not being represented by Optima.

Make sure your account is managed by a licensed practitioner because obviously ours was not since they dropped the ball on our installment agreement that left us unprotected for 3 and half months enabling the I.R.S. to levy our first two 2022 retirement annuities for 2 months. After this happened, we were then informed by Optima that we made too much money to be eligible for any federal program that would absolve all or a portion of what we owed ($18,000). But what they could do was to reinstate an installment agreement with the I.R.S. that once in effect our annuities would no longer be levied as long as we made payments on that agreement. This is something we could have done ourselves. Optima did not represent protect or negotiate on our behalf with the I.R.S. It's a SCAM and we regret doing business with them.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I paid a lot of money to have Optima Tax Relief help me settle my debt with IRS. They did my taxes. I had an email account closed on my that had all the information for them. I called several times, emailed a few times and was asked to give a time when an agent would call. I did that but, they either did not call or they called at another time when I could not talk to them. I talked to several people there but, I believe I just got the run around. I lost a lot of money to them.

Take a Financial Relief Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Optima Tax Relief Company Information

www.optimataxrelief.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: