4.08/5
  • 1 star
Based on 41 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Tax Group Center offers tax services to its customers. The core of our business comprises of handling tax debt, but we also provide a variety of other financial services. From individual and business tax preparation, bookkeeping services and merchant account services, Tax Group Centers constantly works on delivering sustainable results. Contact us today and start working towards the path of financial success.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 5, 2017

41 Tax Group Center Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I had problems with the IRS and I was recommended to Tax Group Center. I had an $85,000 bill for IRS which I really didn't owe and they got it knocked down to $17,000. I could've gotten it knocked down a little bit more, but they were able to negotiate a reasonable deal and compared to what I was going to have to pay, I'd never get it paid off. So I was happy with it. It's great that I don't get threatening letters from the IRS and I don't get garnished for anything else. It's a relief off my back. Tax Group has been fantastic and a great help. And if people are into the IRS like I was, I would tell them to call Tax Group because they can definitely help.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I owed $30,000 and Tax Group Center was supposed to take care of it. I want to know if my case is closed but I haven't got a response yet. It had been the whole year. I called and asked them a few questions and they said they're supposed to call me back. I paid them what they asked me to pay but every time I call them, they don't respond. They seemed awfully busy and I haven't spoken to anyone within the last three months. The last I heard from them is they've done my taxes and that I’ll get $200 something back from the IRS this year. I haven't seen it, though and I haven't got a response from Tax Group Center to find out the status on whether they accepted it or not. I haven't got any paperwork on it either. So I'm not too happy with that.

Other than that, I've been dealing with them for the last five years and I like them. I'm happy that the IRS isn’t garnishing my wages anymore and that Tax Group Credit did my taxes for the last four years. They've done pretty good for me as far as that's concerned. But they dropped the ball one time when somebody got fired or quit and that didn't turn my information in. They had to re-do it and I had to pay for it even though they had lost the information. They charged me again because they said that whoever my case worker was, they couldn't find the paperwork. But I've sent it to them and that wasn't my fault. Still, I went on and paid it because I would rather pay the $2,500 instead of paying $30,000. I would recommend somebody else to them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

We were behind on our taxes and we hired Tax Group Center in 2008. They did an awesome job then. In August of this year, my husband started getting garnished from the state of Oregon for the taxes that Tax Group had filed. It was about $45,000. It's ridiculous and I don't know how they got that high. We didn't even owe the federal government that much. In the end, we settled with Federal.

Nobody could tell me why the state of Oregon all of a sudden came after us. I asked several times and their answer was, "We don't know." I had one person who told me it was too old and they don't go back that far. They sent me the power of attorney and they wanted a grand right then and there. It is now November 6 and my husband is still being garnished and they haven't done anything. In fact, the only time we have gotten any information was when I called. They have not called us and I was getting really livid. I was the one initiating the calls every single time and I wasn't getting anywhere. I wasn't being told what was going on. I asked why the garnishment hasn't stopped. They came back with, "Well, Oregon said it was too late." So my husband in the meantime was getting around $600 weekly for garnishment. The total that they've taken right now is over $14,000.

I've escalated it to the customer service part in October. I was told, "Well, attorney's going to get back to you, this is the way it's going to be." The other said "Well, you haven't sent in all your documents." I told her I've sent in everything and she said, "Oh, there were some more documents that are being sent over to you right now." Still I sent those out. Then I quit calling them and I started mailing them, but I haven't heard back from them. The last communication I had with them was they told me that Oregon hasn't looked at our paperwork yet, that Oregon hasn't told them what they were going to do. They said it could take anywhere from two week to six weeks.

We had called again today and the documents are still waiting to be reviewed. We will continue to call Tuesdays and Fridays until we get an answer. I have been contacting Jessica, Corey, and Jamie, and I was getting hang up on. So I'm putting this all in writing and will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau this week. The only reason I'm not dropping them is because I've already given $16000 in. Tax Group Center is terrible.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Over a 20 year period, people were fraudulently using my social security number to work and I had no clue this was going on. So, it was really affecting my life to know that there are people garnishing my wages and trying to take all my money. I was unable to get anywhere in life because all my money was being taken by the IRS and they were charging high interest rates. It just wasn't fair. When you're dealing with the IRS, they throw every single excuse in the book at you, so no matter what you throw at them or no matter what you show them, they're not going to believe it. They're just going to keep going. They think they're above everything and they don't care.

Then, Bonnie, Tax Group Center’s attorney, tells them that this is is not going to happen. She was great. They called the IRS on my behalf, sent them letters on my behalf and negotiated an offer and compromise. They were able to get my $10,000 debt down to only about $800 total. I paid the $800 in installment to the IRS and the overall process cost me $1,200 for Tax Group. The only issue that I have is that at times they were very difficult to get a hold of. I would recommend for them to follow back up with the customer after everything is over with and give them a follow up later because one of my experience was after we made an arrangement with the IRS, the IRS reneged on it. They said that I would not be able to collect a tax return for the next three years. Well, they did not actually give me a tax return for five years. So technically, they owe me from tax returns. But I was just happy with the fact that I didn't owe them anything.

The IRS technically made money off me. If they followed up with me, because I was not able to get a hold of them in time, they could have helped me finish resolving the problem because my tax bill was a little over $10,000 and they ended up getting $15,000 from me because they took the two extra years of tax. The whole agreement was pretty much not even worth it in that aspect. It would have cost me a little bit more to make it right, so it was easier for me to just pay Tax Group Center the little bit amount I did because I didn't really owe it and there was no way I was going to be able to pay it back anyway. It was easier for me to have them do an offer and compromise and take care of it. Overall, it changed my life a lot and now everything is fine. My experience with Tax Group Center was good. It sure is very positive and definitely well worth it.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

IRS said I owed them big money for years but I didn't. It got to the point where the IRS was becoming so nasty to me. I got an attorney and every time IRS called, I told them they need to call my attorney. Tax Group Center dealt with the problem and we ended up with a settlement. I paid the settlement and it's been quiet ever since. It stopped all the harassment. Tax Group Center said the IRS was being very aggressive, but it worked out good and everything's fine. I always tell anybody I know who has a problem to get a lawyer since it makes a difference and I recommend Tax Group Center. And if the IRS barks again, I'll call Tax Group Center right up and say, "Hey, we're back."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tax Group Center?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Tax Group Center was good at first when I had David and Ron. David was really nice. We got along really good and I liked him that's why I stuck with him. But then he's gone. They changed and it all fell apart. Now I can never get a hold of anybody. And they hang up on me all the time. When I try to call back and talk to somebody, they put me on recording. I call them, they don't ever call me back. I'd call again and then click - it won't get me anywhere. It's like they're tired of hearing from me. It's like one of those companies that you pay them money and you don't hear from them anymore. I had to call and call and call. Luckily I was able to get with Mindy, my attorney, and she talked to me. But when I would want to talk to have somebody else's assistance, I would leave a message and call back and try to get somebody else to talk to, and they would just keep on clicking.

First they were doing my personal taxes which they did great on. But my business taxes was up in the air because they took forever to do it. They also put so much pressure on me. High pressure. I had to do it because they already had part of my taxes. At first, they said $250 was all I had to pay and they were going to take care of everything. And then they came back with me four months later and told me I got to pay this much more. They didn't put it down on paper right and they won't listen. They're so arrogant and they're like high-powered sales people. I'm going to pray that they do the job they're supposed to do. I hope they don't discriminate against me because we didn't have some good work together.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

The people at Tax Group handled my problem very good, and I got it solved right away. I had a little problem with their customer support because I was with three different people, but once they got me with only one person, then she was okay and she took care of me. I got through Tax Group already, and I am free of debt. I already referred one of my friends to them.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My taxes got jacked up so I called Tax Group Center and they took care of everything that I needed concerning my taxes. They did tax preparation for me in 2012. I've already completed everything and everything was great. Tax Group is cool and I would definitely refer them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I had an unfair amount that I was being asked to pay by the IRS. I sold a bunch of properties and they assumed through a cost basis and I didn’t. After giving the most documentation that I could, it still seemed a little high so I went in with Tax Group Center. It was a little tedious in the beginning but once I was more pronounced about my business involved and started to press the issue, they got the job done and I was completely satisfied. They saved me quite a bit of money, so I would give them an endorsement.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I had been dealing with another company out of Chicago that took my money and didn’t help me with anything. Then I found out that the US Attorney General’s Office had shut them down. Tax Group was the third one I had tried since I tried another one that the Federal Government shut down as well. Somebody from Tax Group Center called and I didn’t believe that they could help me. I thought it was going to be the other group and disguised it. The person I spoke to was Dean and he was awesome and helped me every step of the way. They got everything settled for me right away and I’m okay now. They're very honest and really helped me. When Tax Group said they’re going to send something out, they did and it was a good experience with them. They were fantastic and awesome.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

We're still going through Tax Group Center's services. My husband chose them and they're good. I've spoken to a lot of people there and they are friendly and knowledgeable.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I spent $5000 with another company to fix my problem with my income tax which I still have. They took my money while they were going bankrupt. Tax Group Center gave me a call and I needed them. The negotiator helped and listened to me because I took things out on him but he made me feel I could trust him. Tax Group Center was wonderful and their negotiators stayed in touch with me. They let me know what they were taking care of, how it was going to be taken cared of and that I had nothing else to worry about when they got done with me. I was pleased and impressed that they took care of me when I was just taking my money. For a few years, that monkey was on my shoulder and I feel wonderful now it is off my back.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Several years after retirement, I accumulated quite a bit of IRS debt and no matter how many years I tried to pay it off, it kept growing. I saw that Tax Group Center might be able to help me so I signed up with them. Their service was geared towards an offering compromise. It was successful and I got excellent service from my negotiator Josh. Tax Group took a huge burden off me just by not having to deal with what the IRS was going to do to me. I'm very happy I chose them and I have recommended them.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I was having a hard time with the government and they take money from me in any way. They're garnishing my Social Security and if I'm working, they take that money too. I'm in debt for about $200,000 and it just never goes away. All the money that the government has taken, they’re just applying it to the penalties and that keeps going on and on. I have about $30,000 that I can sign over to them. Tax Group already got $2500 but I got them on hold until it's time. I'm just waiting till something big happen for me, and then I could really get rid of them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Tax Group was the cheapest and was willing to work with me with the payments where I didn't have to do it all at one time. The first negotiator was great. I was going through my Federal taxes. He helped me out and always did what he said he was going to do. They helped me with my Federal taxes but they claimed that because they helped me with my state taxes. But they got over on me on that because they've lied and didn't spend things. They just kept giving me the runaround. The only reason why I went back to them was that they did me good with my Federal taxes. But for some reason when they called and asked me for another payment to get my state taxes done, after they got my money, I never heard anything. I had to keep calling back. I got really disappointed with them and left it alone. I ended up having to pay all of my state taxes back. Other than that, as long as it's the Federal taxes, they do it and I referred some people to them.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I owed more than 10,000 and all the ads say, “If you owe more than 10,000, give us a go.” I didn't shop around that much, however, when I spoke with the owner of Tax Group Center, she seemed like she knew what she was talking about, so I went ahead with it and everything turned out good. They helped me file all the paperwork necessary to set up a plan with the IRS and paid a small percentage of what was owed. I had to give them all my financial information as far as what I possess and my monthly bills. Then they put all the paperwork together for me to sign and submit to the IRS. It allowed me to get back to my life and not worry about where I was going to come up with the money to pay the outstanding debt that I had with IRS. They did a great job and they did everything they promised me they were going to do. I've told several people in a similar situation about my experience, what it cost me, and what all it entailed.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Tax Group Center helped me with tax issues with the government and saved me thousands. It took a long time but they were efficient and professional. They got the job done and my experience was good. I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I had tax problems with the IRS and when I heard about Tax Group Center over the radio, I contacted them. Because of my situation, I didn't have the finances to pay what the IRS was asking for. I felt very good and comfortable working with Tax Group Center. The rep was very good with what he did and he handled himself well. The process was kind of long but everything went well. They resolved my situation through back and forth communication and ended up settling it out of court. So, I have no more worries and concerns about that. Tax Group Center took all the stress off my life.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I moved out of state and didn’t do my taxes for a few years so I was behind on taxes. So, when I came back to Texas, I went to the Tax Group Center because they would help over $5,000 while all the other ones have to be $10,000 behind. They helped me out with the IRS to get me situated and it saved me $2,000. Not a massive amount, but it would’ve gotten a lot worse had I not went through them. To the State of Arizona, I owed 2,700 and they wouldn’t take any less, so I was set up on a payment plan with them. To the IRS, I owed 8,000 and they got it down to $194 which I had to pay for a period of time. Also, anytime I had issues, all I have to do is call their reps and they would help me take care of the situation. Tax Group Center has made my life much easier. It helped me tremendously for following the guidelines and paying my taxes. Otherwise, I’d still be in trouble with the IRS.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I owe the IRS over $15,000 so I seeked help from the Tax Group Center. When I talked to the initial person, I felt pretty comfortable. We had a compromise where I'd only have to pay $100. Eventually, Justin, the negotiator, told me that the IRS was going to take a couple refis for a couple years, but I wasn’t too sure what years and how long it was going to be. But other than that, he was wonderful and did a really good job. Call support was good as well. I would refer the Tax Group Center.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I heard a Tax Group Center advertisement on the radio and I didn’t know if they’re legit or not. I took a shot and saw what they are. I had them provide services for my IRS taxes and I felt really great about their service. The negotiator was very good to me. She discussed what they can and can't do. She was also able to do everything she said. When I had a problem or question, I called and they returned my phone call. They told me how long the process would take and everything they said was correct. They handled everything like they’re supposed to and in a timely manner. I highly recommend everyone to use them because they did a great job for me. What people explained that they couldn’t do, Tax Group Center did and I was very pleased with them.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I paid Tax Group Center $3,000 for a compromise plan for my back taxes but I ended up doing them myself. I was going through a lot of stuff and I wanted to pay someone else to take care of it. But Tax Group Center kept messing up my paperwork and I had to file it three different times. It was ridiculous that I had to redo it for them and file it myself. They couldn’t even get my name on the paperwork correctly. And I got a worse deal than I could have had because of the mistakes they made on my paperwork so I'm not real happy.

Jacob, the tax attorney I worked with, was really nice and he explained the offering compromise status but I already knew all of that. I worked directly with the IRS and did my own compromise plan. The IRS saw my back taxes and returns and I thought the way Tax Group Center filed my paperwork would count for my compromise but it didn't. I was very frustrated. There's a level of incompetence in their back office and I would tell a friend to not bother with them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I had some old taxes that I had to pay and I want to fix them. I called several people and I landed on Tax Group Center. I'm on disability now. I couldn't see the money coming in for me to pay it so I tried them. Their rep was easy to work with. When I told him what my issues were he already understood. Their service worked good for me. I ended up paying about a hundred and something dollars. I like to speak with one person but something happened to the guy who initially signed me up. It did make me a little bit concerned because I don’t like to talk to a bunch of people about one issue but it all turned out okay. It took some months but they had done everything in a timely manner. If I hadn’t been working with Tax Group Center, I'll be trying to pay $10,000 worth of taxes that I don’t have and I'm glad that’s behind me now. I sleep well at night now. I'll work with them again if I have to and I would definitely refer them to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Tax Group Center did a good job. They are the best. I needed help with my taxes and they were willing to do without any money down. Everybody else had to have so much money out. At first, they kind of did. They needed to have $2,500 but I'm never going to get my taxes done with that. What was nice was that they called me back and said that maybe they can work with me. They lowered it down to $500 and then I can start making payments. They were working on my personal account and going back and figuring out on what and where I stood. We had to keep going back years because I couldn't get it straightened. They were really patient. It all worked out and it was good.

The only thing that they really can't help me with is in Michigan, where I live, the government is really hard. The state called me and said that I owe them money a year after I was settled with everything. I told them that I already paid them money and made an arrangement. I informed Tax Group Center about this and they said not to worry. They’re working it out and that they’ll get back in touch with me. It’s been a year and a half now, but I haven’t heard anything from anybody. Also, My interactions with the Tax Group Center were good but I got different people. Sometimes, a guy will have my case and then a lady and then another guy. It depends on how long things take to get settled or somebody went to a different department and they do different work.

There were a couple of moments where I got really upset because we did everything we could do and the rep is telling me I can't do anything more and have to do everything all over again. There were a couple of things where I had to pay a little extra because they didn't get the paperwork in that I didn't know about. I was invited for something I didn't sign which I had to re-sign, hurry up and fax to them. Miscommunication happens because I’m not dealing with them in their office. They're in California or another state and I’m here and I might not see that little dotted yellow line that they circled or marked. There's so much paperwork that I might miss something I didn't mean to. In the end though, Tax Group Center helped me out. I was pleased with them.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

Tax Group Center did a good job. I had 10 years worth of back taxes and they got it down to $38,000 and got it settled for $100. Initially, they offered me a payment plan wherein, they didn't mind taking three or four payments to get the money together to do the service. It turns out, they were better. Before this, I had settled with JK Harris. Then once the figures came around and the IRS audited me, they came up with a reason to deny me. So, I owed them all that money all over again. JK Harris didn't even want to even lift a finger to help but Tax Group Center was good with me all the way until the IRS said they'll seize my refund and audit me. That’s another reason why I stuck with them. They promised to back me up all the way until we’re finished. It was excellent.

The negotiator was knowledgeable of the statutes of limitations from the collectible taxes, plus was friendly and polite. When we spoke with the IRS regarding the decision to settle for $100, she handled it beautifully. She's very professional and direct to the point. If I had any questions, I could call at any time. I never had a problem getting a hold of anybody or anybody explaining anything that I needed to know about. It was great. I paid for a total of no more than six months. The majority of that was them negotiating with the IRS, so it was settled not long at all. I have recommended Tax Group Center to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Tax Group Center never finalized on what they were supposed to be doing with my taxes. They were good but when it came down to finalizing my tax, I got a letter and no information went into my statement of payment so I ended up losing all the money I spent with them. I got a phone number to call the IRS and every time I call, I left messages. I never got a return phone call and I wanted to make the payment with what they were asking me to pay. There was no information where to send the payment. Then I get all the information back from the IRS saying that I still owe taxes. So I lost a lot of money with the Tax Group and also I still have to pay the IRS. I lost all the way around. This was 2015, and I still haven’t heard from TGC now. I tried contacting them and nobody’s giving me a call. Do not use Tax Group Center.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I’ve had the best experience with Tax Group Center in helping me with getting the IRS off my back. Initially, I had a bad experience with another company. With TGC, everything was taken care of. They put in an offer compromise which the IRS accepted. TGC kept me abreast on everything with letters stating what they were doing and that there were no problems with putting in the paperwork. It worked out great and I haven't had any problem since. In fact, I've got a tax attorney that I gave TGC's number. I filed bankruptcy and he was impressed with how everything was handled by TGC. He's probably given their number to his clients now.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Tax Group Center was great. They've made everything that I needed for them to make and they got the job done. I needed help with my personal income tax and Jason, TGC’s representative, informed me on the process. I found that it was affordable and he got on it right then and there. Everything he promised, he delivered. After a year, I am debt free from taxes. TGC’s negotiator contacted my creditors with me on the line and he was able to stop my payments right then and there. He told me to take my time in paying. Since he understood my financial situation, he didn't want to put a partial burden on me. The payment plan that he gave me was great so I was able to pay my debts off early.

Original review: July 13, 2017

My aunt had given me their info to call them so that they can help with my son’s tax problem. My son is out of work and he needed help. They charged me $1750.00 and I had paid them in increments of $250.00 and my last payment was suppose to be $300.00. I never heard from the person that was suppose to help me until I had called in April 2017 and spoke to the tax attorney Jennifer ** for the first time. She didn't even know who I was. Then I needed help to amend my son’s taxes. She wanted to charge $400.00. I told her, “No. I can't pay that.” She said, “As soon as you can take care of that then we can help you.” After that conversation I had made up my mind to pay off on the fee agreement and not contact them anymore.

Contacted them today to see if they had withdrew the last payment of $300.00. I was told by their receptionist (after I had asked for the bookkeeping department) that my payment was rejected. I knew that wasn't true. Called my bank and was informed that no one from this company had tried to put anything through. So they don't tell the truth. I don't know what is going on but I don't want nothing else to do with this company ever. Like I said very bad mistake.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I owed back taxes and I worked with Tax Group Center for individual tax reduction. However, I wasn't happy with their services and I did not have a good experience. I kept getting shuffled around and my interaction with the customer service was not good. Initially, I had a gentleman that was the tax preparer. I had talked to him the first couple of times and then every time I called back after that, I got his assistant. Then later on, even the assistant wasn't able to call and he pushed me off onto some other lady. So, I ended up being associated with them for a couple of years just because they didn't fully explain everything.

Then, they ended up charging me for my tax return of the next year because not everything was finished the first year cycle. That was almost $1000 more just to keep going with the previous plan. Then, they kept adding on new year’s because things had not been finalized. I ended up saving a few thousand dollars, which was about a third of what I owed in taxes, but they ended up charging me way more than what we initially talked about. The money I had to pay them would have been the same money I would have had to pay the IRS. It wasn't as inexpensive as they made it seem and it wasn't a friendly experience either. I would tell others not to do it.

Tax Group Center Company Information