1.22/5
Based on 361 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

363 Liberty Tax Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My husband and I went to see a Mr. ** at one of the Liberty Tax Service offices in Jacksonville, NC due to an error done at the Camp LeJeune base, who told us that my husband in the last 4 years he did not have to file his NYS taxes in NC. Wow. They were wrong, so we went to see Mr. ** (he talks like the character from SNL and he's real short too). The 2014 NYS tax was done at another unrelated to Liberty Tax Service that they too, took a very long time in handling our D-400, nevertheless we paid our NYS taxes including our penalties and interest fees. Because this other office took such a long time, we decided to go to Liberty Tax Service and this is where we met Mr. **. He took care of our 2015 and 2016 NYS taxes and paid what we owed including penalties and interest fees to the NCDOR.

On October 4, 2018 we went to see Mr. ** at one of the Liberty Tax Service office in Jacksonville, NC, and we were told that he was not around by a Payroll female person with short, blond hair, middle aged ** woman. She referred us to a another Tax Preparer, Beth **, and we made an appointment to see her the next day. Ok She prepares our 2017 D-400, and she states that she sent it electronically. She instructed us that it would take 3 to 5 business days. We waited for 5 business days. NCDOR is telling us that they did not receive our D-400, meanwhile we went through Hurricane Michael. Mr. ** is telling us that our document was lost in transmission. Really?? We were being ping-ponged between NCDOR and Mr. **. Then we called Mr. ** again, and he states that he's waiting for his processor to handle the transmission. A person or a machine? I told him that all I hear are excuses coming from him.

Thank God we made our 2017 NYS taxes to NCDOR, but we wanted to know how much we owed NCDOR on penalties and interest fees. NCDOR could not calculate without receiving our D-400. NCDOR also stated that Mr. ** was lying because we went to see him about two weeks later so that he can resubmit out D-400, and NCDOR stated they still had not yet received it. I told Mr. ** D-400's do not get lost in cyberspace. We already paid Ms. Beth on 10/4/18 $90.00, so called NCDOR what were our other options, so we decided to mail our original D-400, and that it takes 4 to 6 weeks. In short, someone is lying. He shared in a previous meeting that his father was or is a Presbyterian pastor. If so, I don't think it's going to go well with him coming before his maker.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Bernice and Kelly are fabulous tax preparers that did my past two tax years, they were not of the norm. They were the best... Updated on all IRS changes and amendments, friendly, efficient and even have me a soft drink. Five star... Can't go wrong with this office.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 26, 2018

I used the Liberty Tax Service on Sawmill Road in Dublin, Ohio to prepare my 2017 tax returns. This was quite possibly the most nerve-racking 3 HOURS of my life, as it became painfully obvious that the person preparing my taxes was totally incompetent. I would have asked for another preparer, but he was the only person in the office. Immediately upon leaving, I called the national customer service number and explained my concerns and ask if I could take my returns to another Liberty Tax location to have them reviewed. I was told by the very rude customer service rep that all their locations were independently owned and operated, and if I would have to pay them (again) to have my returns looked over. I ask to speak with a manager or supervisor and was told there was no one else I could speak with. Avoid this business as you would the plague.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I humbly would like to say that Liberty Tax located in Frandor of Lansing, is by far the best and utmost professional tax service in the business. No matter the complexity of the job, or the time constraints of finishing the job. One can depend on Liberty Tax to deliver accurate and proficient service to their clients. Undeniably!

Original review: May 14, 2018

Used another service until they became too expensive. Went to Liberty first year and had to guide them thru my return but it was fine. Year 2 had to go to another location because the first one shut down. They told me they had franchise problems. They could not transfer my prior year info, so I had to sit thru a slow retyping of my info. I reviewed their work and found several errors. Then when it was ready to transmit they told me they would not honor their own coupon and held my return until we negotiated a fee. I will never use these morons again. They wanted to charge me $750 after I did most of the work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Tax Service?

Original review: April 14, 2018

I file my taxes at Liberty Taxes at 56th Georgetown Rd of Indianapolis. I usually have my taxes done by the owner's daughter. She had to leave so I ended up getting my taxes done by a new girl. I gave the tax preparer all my w2’s and my both my 1095A papers and I watch her type in all my information. I watched the tax preparer closely because this happen before. I put faith in them again. Well she didn’t send all my information in correctly, which delay my taxes. So I had to in turn in again my forms to the IRS. A couple months later and I get a refund and the amount is lower and than what the tax preparer calculated. I call the owner and told her I was dissatisfied. She had a real bad attitude and was justifying why tax preparer mess up. She even try to blame me and say I didn’t give the tax preparer the forms.

I told her I drove all the way from Michigan state to Indianapolis because I trusted them so I thought. I made sure I had all my forms, isn't it the tax preparer to make sure they send all the correct form. She began to get a attitude with me over the phone. I ask her why she had attitude when I am one who should be mad. She stated that I have been a long time customer, which I have. She ask me to tell her what I wanted her to do. I told her she should be tell me what she going to do. After messing up taxes and charging almost 500 in fees, just for me get my taxes three months later and 2000 less than what was quoted. She told she will maybe give me a discount the next time I come back. Sorry **. I won’t be coming back. Liberty Tax guarantee 100 accuracy, I think not.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Liberty Tax Service, Ames, Iowa - Worst experience ever!! Ripped us off!! $260 for a single tax return and the lady didn't have any knowledge. We had to help her file the taxes. She was clueless. Our only mistake was that we didn't ask what they were going to charge beforehand. This is a life lesson for future. Never going back there.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I've had Liberty prepare our tax return every year since 2009. This year, I was shocked when they informed me it would cost $640. That's the cost to prepare a Oregon state and 1040 federal forms with medical costs and charities detailed on the schedule A. Our home is our only asset and wages from employment our only income. They applied some mystery promotion that we weren't aware of, which reduced the bill to $339. When I called to ask the total price, the Office Assistant said if we brought in 10 cans of food for the local food bank they would reduce the final total by another $50. I was prepared to pay $289, which was an increase of $30 more than last year's price of $259. When it came time to pay the agent requested $339. I asked about the donation discount and he informed us that we already had the $30 1 mystery discount applied, but he couldn't tell us any details... Because he was new.

I'm currently unemployed and my husband makes $12 per hour. Paying to have taxes done is already a stretch, but we are not savvy about ski the tax laws and wanted to be sure we were correct. In addition, the lovely healthcare exchange misquoted our monthly premium for 2017 and it was determined that we underpaid by $1500. The final result... we get to pay the IRS $1700. The State of Oregon will refund $498. Where in God's name am I going to find $1200 by April 15th. We feel like we're being taken to the cleaners. Who' next in line for our miserable income? Next year, I'll file taxes myself. Disgusted???

Original review: March 13, 2018

I would not recommend using this company to do your taxes. You would be better served frequenting one of the other tax preparation firms which are more established and well-known. Liberty Tax has a pop up office (1st Ave in East Harlem, NY) in my neighborhood and they are the most unpleasant people to have as neighbors. They conduct themselves in a very unprofessional way with the neighboring businesses and residents. Even the police had nothing good to say about Liberty based on their dealings with them after complaints from the neighbors. If they behave this way with the local residents, I would not expect honest service from them.

Resolution response: March 17, 2018

I did after all receive a check from Liberty tax today, 3-17-18. The check was dated for March 3rd, so I am not sure why it took so very long for them to mail it. The envelope was stamped March 16th. I did appologize to Liberty, and will also appologize to Bill in Maple Shade. Thank you.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Bill from Liberty Tax in Maple Shade screwed up our taxes two years in a row, by giving us a credit we did not qualify for. It cost us nearly 800.00 in back taxes and late fees. He told us we would be reimbursed the tax preparer fee for the two years and for the late fees. This was after weeks of being told he was waiting for approval of the returned fees. Then he finally said we were getting a check in the mail that would arrive in 7-10 days. It never came after waiting weeks. He put us off time and time again, and then flat out lied to us. Never again... and we had been going there for 6 years or so. Maybe longer. I understand people make mistakes, but don't lie to me about how you are going to fix it.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Spent the past month trying to file with Liberty Tax online. Their system is broken. It doesn't accept your AGI or PIN. They basically told me to wait longer for tech support to fix but couldn't give me an estimate of how long. Worse service ever. You would think it wouldn't be difficult for them since I've filed the past few years in person with them.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Being new to the area and unable to get an appointment with local tax preparers I opted to go with Liberty. I should have done the taxes myself. The people were friendly but completely unaware or unable to accurately prepare a tax return. After submitting my documentation I didn’t hear for two weeks. I called to inquire and was told they needed more information which I provided. After another two weeks and no word, I called and was told they work working on it, call back Friday. I stopped in that Friday and the preparer spent two hours (or more) preparing the taxes as I waited? When the prep was complete I was owing more than 5000 on FED and getting 3200 back on state. This did not make sense so I asked the preparer to review with me. Turned out she left out taxes paid and a deduction. That corrected, the amount owing came down on FED.

I reviewed further only to notice on state she had duplicated taxes paid and made another keying error. At that point we went line by line, I identified a few additional errors and finally the tax return was complete. The representative then informed me her manager has to review prior to finalizing. I thought this was strange but agreed. I was scheduled for a review appointment a few days later at 8:30 am. I arrived and the office was closed, lights off and nobody around. I was one of four customers waiting for appointments at 8:30?? At approximately 8:55 the manager arrived. As me and the other customers approached the manager stated to no one in particular out loud. I’ve had a rough morning, my son is with me so don’t start on me. We were all puzzled by this since not one person had said anything. We continued in the business and waited as she continue going on and on about her morning, the number of appointments, etc.

After another 5 minutes or so she came up front and said "okay, you all need to sign in. I’m the only one here so it will be at least an hour wait per person." With four people there you can figure the wait time. Several clients started to complain. Veronica’s reply was basically, if you don’t want to wait leave. I was horrified but a little stuck at this point because they had all of my originals and I hadn’t been given the copies (dumb on my part, I know). So, I waited nearly an hour and half. When my turn came I was summoned over and Veronica asked, “How can I help you”. I was furious at this point and explained I was there to finalize my taxes as I was instructed the manager had to review. Veronica disparaged her worker, huffed and started pulling up something on the computer. She stated that she would have to “redo” the taxes because there were numerous errors.

I was so confused at this point. I asked for my documents back and to cancel the preparation. She stated this was not possible and to let her review for a minute. Maybe it wasn’t as bad as she thought. Good grief - I could go on but I think by now you have the point. RUN away as fast as you can. This place is horrid. PS. I got a call later in the year from Liberty asking if I’d like to become a tax preparer. I laughed and hung up. Lesson learned the hard way.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

2017 Refund - I have used Liberty Tax since 2011 and this year I was told and shown a bottom line return. Well I owed IRS a some. Well ok but my return included tax fees etc and did not receive what IRS showed I'm am due. So Liberty says our fees came out. WHEN I WAS SHOWN ALREADY FEES WERE TAKEN OUT. TIME FOR ANOTHER TAX SERVICE.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I filed my taxes with Liberty Tax for the year 2016. I received a notice this week in the mail saying I failed to report income from a employer and that I owe the IRS $1183.00. I went to the Liberty Tax office I filed with and they did an amendment. But the amendment showed that I still owe $980.00. The person that prepared my taxes tried to say that I did not give her the w2, but all my information and w2's were in the packet of information she gave me when she completed my tax return. She will not admit that she accidentally forgot to add in one of my w2s, so now I have to pay for the mistake she made. I will never do business with Liberty Tax again, nor will I refer anyone I know to them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

They charged almost $400 for tax preparation, which is absolutely ridiculous. The only reason I went to them was because they offered $50 and I needed it to make car payment because I lost my job. After I filed I was told they didn't have the funds but would the next morning for sure. I called the next morning and was told they haven't received the funds and it would be Tuesday, still haven't received it. Do not use them, I went to two different stores and they all have terrible attitudes. I wish I had read their reviews before I went there. They should be shut down, a business shouldn't be allowed to scam so many people and get away with it. I'm going to be filing a complaint with the BBB.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Cost went from 350 to 550 in 2018. They will not even ballpark a price for. Paying this amount of $ doesn't mean you get your taxes any faster. All tax preparers will get you same amount of money. I don't have bank account mortgage just a w2 and 1099. Took less than 10min. Online says $130 to $150 or $450 for business. What a ripoff, After knowing this anyone who uses them must be hard up for $50 they give you.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

$381 for a simple return for a 26 year-old, single kid, with a dependent? For that amount of money, you would think the preparer could at least throw in some bells and whistles... continental breakfast, chocolates, stocked refrigerator, or how about just a simple, warm attitude while she’s preparing your taxes? I think we could have received a warmer welcome if we had driven straight to the IRS. It’s illegal to text and drive in my state... does that apply to texting and typing, also? She couldn’t drop the cellphone long enough to look at the numbers to fill in the blanks on the forms... well, you can bet that $381 was correct. Clearly, I need to change careers. It’ll be TurboTax next year.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Well I would not recommend Liberty Tax Service at all. They charged us 661.95 to do our taxes and never again will we go back. But I don't mind paying the fees but she took 547.00 for herself. They're con artists.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Liberty Tax Service is the worst place I've ever gone to. They charge me 300 plus dollars to do a 1040EZ form. I went to them only because it was convenient and I don't have a computer at home. I could have did it for free at H&R or any other tax place. So they charge me $300 and promise to give me a refund and then said that because I was mailing it they are to their address that they were going to also give me $50 is the next day 'cause they didn't have any money in the office at that time. Mind you I didn't ask them or go in for the $50. They offered me the $50.

So I let a week go by 'cause I wasn't stressing about $50. So I'm passing by the their office. I go inside. I inquire about what's going on with the $50 I didn't get a call. The girl answered that they don't call people for the $50 that you just have to come in. So I guess if you don't come in you don't get the 50 if you forget somehow. So naturally I was a little upset about that and said, "Well can I get the 50 now that I'm here," and she responded, "We don't have money here. The owner comes around and gives me a couple of hundred a day and people scoop it up faster than we get it." So basically this place is a day-by-day shady organization that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Stay away from Liberty Tax Services. They are the worst. Go some other place. Believe me it's worth it.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

So I did my taxes on TurboTax.Com and had a problem with my AGI from last year. So I wouldn't do Liberty Tax to have them do it to see if they can get around the problem. Well TurboTax.com is free for EZ file 1040. H&R Block does it for free. Walkins even. But I figured Liberty Tax would also do at 8:40 for free and they are closer to my house so I stopped in there. They tried to charge me $300. Already I was like WTF but then I looked at his computer screen and saw that they had in my turbotax.com file open on their screen and they were just trying to use where I had already done on turbotax.com to finish my taxes. Turbotax.com, H&R Block, all of them let me do this for free. Liberty Tax 300 bucks for some BS. I will bad mouth and let know the truth and word as much and as far as wide as I can about Liberty Tax. I guess they got to pay for the dancer in the Statue of Liberty costume somehow.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

They screwed you up, they promised $3250 on their website for cash advances, but guess they only request $1300.00 from their financial institution compare to other tax preparer that put what you need. At the end of their stupid calculation you are not given the whole amount but half of it. Don't file your taxes with them. Go to H&R Block Liberty Tax. Refunds take 3-4 weeks for the fact that you do e-file. I am not impressed with their services anyway.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Every year when the IRS opens Liberty submits your return but for some reason any returns they submit sits in limbo for a day or two while other tax services that submit returns goes right through and gets accepted, finally after a day or two your return goes gets accepted but that is where it sits for 21 days to 8 weeks before you see your refund and I am talking about a simple easy one W2 return. My brother did his return with HR Block the same time I did mine. Same day his was submitted the next day so was mine. His was accepted within two hours. Mine took 36 hours, he got approved for refund two days later. One week later he has his refund. Today, mine is still just sitting in the same spot. Something is wrong with this company. During transmission it gets hung up and messes up getting your refund. Never again will do my return with this place. HR Block next year.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

The only reason I filed with them was to get an advance on my refund. I agreed to pay the $380. They say they can’t tell you if you’ve been approved for a loan until after you file so you end up paying this amount and then, like me, get refused for any advance. I didn’t have any itemized forms. Just basic taxes and that’s what they charged me. They didn’t give me the loan for who knows what reason. I’m so frustrated that they would take nearly $400 to do what you can do on TurboTax for free. Liberty Tax is the worst tax service. I will never file with them again and I’ll make sure I spread the word. Hopefully we can get this business shut down. Robbing people. On a side note, the person that did my taxes was friendly. The staff were all nice.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I went earlier today to have my taxes prepared. I lost my job in December 2017 and have been struggling to make it till glorious "tax time". My daughter-in-law told me about Liberty Tax in Shelby, NC. She said that they were offering refund advance loans and that you didn't have to have your W-2 yet, that your last check stub would be enough and that almost everyone is approved.

Also they have a $50 referral bonus for both the client and whoever referred them. Being that I REALLY need the money now, my car has been towed, power bill due, etc., I decided to go ahead and have them done there. The lady who was doing my taxes seemed like this was the first return she had ever done. It took her over an hour to do MY taxes? I file HOH with one dependent, my daughter. I only had one job all year and take the standard deduction. Simple! I'm not saying that tax prep is easy but I am saying that to a tax 'professional", mine should have been.

She had to keep asking the other girl questions and I had already decided that if my refund didnt look right, I would leave (had already calculated refund amount). But the amount was right. I knew that doing the refund advance loan, the fees would be elevated significantly, I expected to pay around $200 or a little more, but I WAS NOT expecting her to tell me that my tax preparation fee was... are you ready for this? $469.00! Thats not counting the $49.95 for not paying upfront and the other $40 fee, for I dont know what. It was over $530.00 total.

I about fainted. I told her that I could not pay that so she went and talked to her boss and they took 20% off or something, still outrageous. I left! By the time I got home, they had messaged me and offered another discount. They said, if I didnt take the $50 referral bonus, the fees would be $350.00 total and I could still APPLY for the loan since I am a new client. They have got to be out of their minds! This place is a joke. They lure in people who NEED money, offer them funds right away, and then line their pockets with their disgustingly outlandish fees. They should not be allowed to continue this horrible practice. Now I have to find another preparer and try to make it till, who knows when, till I get that check I so desperately need! Just remember to NEVER GO TO LIBERTY TAX, but if you dont believe me, just check out some other reviews. Happy tax preparing!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

This year, 2017, I was notified by IRS that $15,000 was not counted on 2014 taxes. Been going to Liberty for past 10 YRS. Penalties and fines were $5,000.00. Went to Liberty Tax Service, and they denied it was their fault. I even showed them the account from the bank they had not included. They denied ever seeing it and therefore would not be paying for the fees and fines. Very upset. Will never go there again. They are expensive.$315.00 to itemize. They don't stand by their word. Please BEWARE.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

We paid Liberty Tax in April 2017 to file an extension for us, so we can File in Oct. Got a letter from IRS said we are in failure to file, charging us with almost $4,000 in penalties and interest. We contacted Liberty tax and they said they would take care of it, but could take months because they have to do it through the mail. We told them they need to pay the IRS that money and they danced around suggestion. They just said they will correspond through mail with the IRS. In the meantime IRS wanted to garnish our wages and take our bank account. Liberty needs to man up to that they did not file that extension and pay those fees pronto!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I used the Philadelphia Pike office in Claymont Delaware to do my 2015 taxes. The charge was over 300.00 and I ended up owing over 1400 to federal and 800 to state. In 2016 I decided to "compare" Liberty Tax to TurboTax and one other tax company. I dropped the same packet of info off to Liberty and the other company. Liberty wanted me to pay over 400.00 for a return that had me owing several thousand in taxes. The other company would have charged me 250.00 for a return that basically resulted in me breaking even - owing to federal, but getting almost that same amount back from state. TurboTax cost me 150.00 and I got 2000.00 back.

During that investigation I realized that Liberty never included depreciation on 2 of my rental properties, despite depreciation being claimed on all the previous years' returns. Today I am amending the 2015 taxes that Liberty did and getting those thousands I paid back, plus some more. I contacted Liberty and explained they overlooked the very basic inclusion of depreciation, and they wanted 150.00 to prepare the amended return -- 150.00 to address their own oversight. Ridiculous. Perhaps the "professionals" at Liberty should use TurboTax. Do your own taxes -- These "professionals" don't know what you did or did not do in the previous year, and leave too many details overlooked - robbing you of your money. On the bright side -- they get paid!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Customer Service is a negative 5 and they are crooks - They did my taxes in 2013 and missed the 1099 on my state that they did not miss on my federal. The state levied my account and I had to enter into a 40 per month agreement, which I still continue to get fees and penalties added. They have been ducking my calls since Dec 2016, and I finally had to have a court officer (constable) serve a letter to them. Still I get ignored. Well Massachusetts is a triple damage state so guess what I am suing for triple (4500.00) so beware and don't use them.

Original review: June 15, 2017

We've been having our taxes done there, but this time the preparation was uncomfortable. She called herself CC. She was so impressed with the amount that was made, she's been calling MY husband daily every single week since April. Very trifling.

Original review: June 6, 2017

While having my taxes done there last year, the lady who did them made a mistake that was caught by another. It cost 350 to have them done but it was my first year filing after having been divorced and had withdrawn some money from my IRA so I wasn't confident doing them myself. Last week I get a notice from the IRS saying that I owe just under 20,000!!! I am LIVID and as I now see, screwed. Their website says that if there is an error they'll pay the taxes and fees associated but not the amount that they erred. I could have screwed it up myself for free! DO NOT TRUST LIBERTY! 20,000!!!

Liberty Tax Service Company Information