Owe the IRS $10k+ in Tax Debt?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.07/5

394 Liberty Tax Service Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 31, 2019

I was in need of a tax preparer to complete my 2018 taxes and ended up walking into the Liberty Tax Service located at 14023 Jefferson Davis Highway in Woodbridge, VA. I was greeted by a very personable woman who turned out to be the Office Manager, **. The service I received was nothing short of amazing as ** educated me about the tax law, made recommendations and worked with me, going above and beyond to ensure that I received all applicable deductions as prescribed by the law. I was so appreciative of this because it not only gave me comfort that my taxes were being completed fully and correctly, but it also made me feel that I was a person and not just a number. If you are looking for a personable, knowledgeable, professional tax preparer, I 100% recommend ** and this particular Liberty Tax location as I am certain that you will receive the same professional service that I did! T.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My wife and I are in our mid-eighties and were recently married. We filed a very complicated tax return at the Peoria, AZ office. Randi the tax preparer was very patient working with us on our first joint federal return and two state returns. It was further complicated by the new IRS tax forms and guidelines. The Liberty software was up to the challenge. Randi was friendly even after the tax session by assisting us in our transportation to our retirement home.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I used to go to H&R Block but they took so much money from us. So we have been going to Liberty Tax for years now. The same gentleman does my taxes each year. I trust him with my money to do the right thing. And I have been getting more of a discount each and every year. I will be going there this and every year.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

First I would like to say, I've never been to a tax place where soon as you walk in the door you are comfortable. My first time with Liberty Tax and the staff makes you feel at home, I had so many questions where it was information that I never knew about, and every question was answered. I had a great time with the ladies, so helpful, polite and of course funny, but all around very professional... I thank you ladies for being so kind and helpful. I recommend going to Liberty Tax on Central Ave East Orange, NJ and go check out these ladies... Thanks KAITHY, JACKIE, PAULINE... Keep up the great work... God bless.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

IT'S IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAnd that each site is individually owned (franchised) so a professional experienced person at one location will not provide the same experience as a shady owner whom your neighbor went to somewhere else. If you choose based on reviews, be site specific. I learned this the hard way. 1st year I went to the Eden sq location in Bear DE and actually got more money than I ever had with anyone else.

However, I was unaware they was run differently and the following year I went to Fox Run Shopping Center, in Bear DE also and they completely screwed up my return plus they were very unprofessional and took hours! I accidentally called the GOOD location as a follow-up, that's when the guy explained being franchised and I explained my situation and how mad I was. Since then I have continued to go to the Eden square location for the past 5 years and always receive the best service with knowledged experienced preparers know which credits I'm due! Oh you get $100 unlimited referring bonus too. In cash! That day!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Tax Service?

Original review: July 9, 2019

I went to Liberty Tax for my 2014 taxes. Her name was Darcy **. I was back back and forth at different offices. She put more on my taxes then I originally made so I had to go back so she could fix it. Plus on top of it I was missing a Schedule C in my taxes which now my lawyer is asking for it. I paid this lady $707.00 plus $200.00 to do my taxes right. Other people in the office had the same problem, coming back to fix problems with their taxes. I am still fighting my 2014 taxes for something that went wrong. All up in the toilet and don’t know their own crap!!

Original review: June 19, 2019

Did my taxes with Liberty Tax and they charge me over 500 dollar for a simple return. The advertising was 34, they said the 500.00 was to pay my taxes. When I got the letter for IRS saying that owe 500, I called and they said the $ 579.00 I paid was for the tax preparation.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Lady was talking stories with her co-worker most of the time and she had her 2 year old son with her. SMH. I was just trying to do my taxes, then I find out later that I was charged almost $800 to receive $900 of my taxes back, then I find out by calling it's, that this lady had done some other stuff with my taxes that I had no idea about. I don't think that's right. Who do I contact about this problem.

Original review: June 16, 2019

Spent $1000s for tax return preparation over the years with Liberty Tax in Beloit, WI. When the Beloit franchise closed we were forced to do our own taxes. During the exercise of doing our own taxes we found that over the years, Liberty Tax cost us ~$4500 because, among other things, they never invoked the credit to Illinois taxes for taxes paid in another state. Thus, we were double taxed. We drove to the Lake Geneva Liberty Tax office, since that was where all our records were stored, and met with the Office Manager Amber **. Amber tried to complete IL1040Xs for the past three years (we could not go back further than three years). She created the IL1040Xs, we sent them in, and then one by one they got rejected from Illinois for one thing or another. We tried to get Amber to at least fill out the EAR-14 rejection form, as we had no idea how to do this. After a week, still nothing.

I contacted her, she said she was trying to get her scanner to upload the document so she could email it to us. I then asked her to take pictures and email them to us, and we would copy the information on the form. Still nothing. We were under a 30 day deadline, so we tried contacting Liberty Tax again. The girl at Liberty Tax put in a call to both Amber and the Liberty Tax District Manager, neither of which called us back. We had to fill out the paperwork ourselves, redo the 1040Xs, and Illinois Schedule CR IL-1040s, etc. I would have expected someone to at least fix their own errors, and especially of Liberty Tax who caused us to pay double taxes due to their lack of knowledge of the tax laws.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I called up Liberty Tax Services Aug 15 2019. Talked to **, asked what it would cost to do 6 years basic back taxes for U.S./IRS. He gave me a price of $980.00. Which was cheaper than H&R Block. On Aug 21 2019. I paid cash for my taxes and was told by him that he was mailing them off to the Seattle, WA to be sent to the IRS. Said they don't have E-Filing? Which I thought was weird? I signed my tax papers / and paid him. He said my receipt was in my paperwork & I should hear from the IRS within a month.

Well Dec 1 2019. I called to check with IRS & getting off the phone with the I.R.S. telling me they never received my taxes? WTF? I called ** again, told him what The IRS said. He told me to come back to the office to resend the 6 years of taxes again. So went down, signed...left... Feb 14 & 26th. The IRS sent me a letter telling me they received Two out of the 6 years? So, I called **, again, telling him. Now May, & again had go sign again my tax paperwork to be mail off.

When I went into the office this time I asked for a copy of my receipt, explaining it was not in my paperwork. I was told he could not give me one. I said I would like one now, I can wait. ** started yelling at me & asking for my E-mail info that he'd E-mail to me? I again stated I would like to get it now. He then got really mad! Telling me I would Have to pay more money? G.S.T. etc. I said what? After ten months & now 3 times to the office, to sign for lost taxes. You're asking me for more money, & yelling at me the customer!!

I know now what, scam he pulling, does taxes, using someone else's ID # - Some named Vincent **? Never meet him? Cash for taxes? No receipts? Hmmm. My P.O. # was **. So, I take it Vincent **, is not an account! Or he would have his own tax preparer number list on the tax forms. The other thing is he won't sign his name to any paper tax paperwork. Something fishy here?

I said I was going to contact the C.E.O. Nicole, listed on the website. He laughed at me and said Liberty U.S. & Canada are two different companies? And hand me his card and said, "Have her call me." Lol. May 22 /2019. **/Accountant, 5457 Victoria Drive B.C. V5P 1H5, Tel: ** Or cell: **. I hope she or someone High up at Liberty Tax Service. Calls and Fixes this location as I will never go back.

Another: info. A coworker went to this same location to do his taxes by the same person, cash...again??!! And after getting a letter stating his taxes were on hold/investigation? **, said he get him 1.600 back? To pay him in cash $600.00 which he did. Good for the CRS/IRS for catching on to this guy! So, pay more and go to H&R Block. Real paperwork, certified, accounts, & receipts. This was only my story at this one location. But, I don't feel safe going back to Liberty Tax Service again. Thank you.

Original review: May 10, 2019

No record found in IRS since March 22 2019. Have made several calls to IRS..still no record. The man I had offered to prepare my taxes the second time was a good man who I trusted for a year. Made a mistake this year..

Original review: April 30, 2019

Do not even fall victim to these crooks!! They're not only taking your advance like they did me, but it's not due to mistakes like we all make, it's deliberate and even when you catch it with proof none of them answers to a supervisor, general manager, nor you, a paying customer. What they will do is give you the runaround and go silent. DON'T DO IT!

Original review: April 20, 2019

Neglected to file 1 form on my taxes. Gave wrong information a month later about filing amended tax form to IRS. Neglected to fax amended form in a timely manner to IRS. Never available to speak on the phone and will not return phone calls.

Original review: March 17, 2019

$267.00 for easy tax return, no deductions. $29.98 to e-file. A total of $296.98. Master card charged $331.91. I also have to pay IRS $1200. What a rip off. Liberty at 125 Laurel Drive, Dayton Tennessee. 423-775-4567.

Original review: March 11, 2019

First I had a good feeling about Liberty Tax, but I was very disappointed later on. The payment was quite high when they claimed our income tax for 2017. Beginning of 2018, I asked Diane if it would make sense to have a HST number as I had opened a new food business. She said it's up to me, but it's more work and sometimes not worth it. When I told that later in the year to my friend who happen to be a bookkeeper, she could not believe that she said that. So just because of this Diane **, I lost about $3,500. This is just wrong and plain stupid. By now, I applied for the HST number and I have a new, much better accountant who charge the same. I can absolutely NOT recommend this company. Sabine.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Bad customer service, overcharged people. They need to be upfront with their ridiculous prices. Liberty you should be ashamed. I've tur 25 minutes ago. We ended up paying almost $500 to get our taxes done! All that had to be done was add a few life insurance policies. Pretty basic stuff. Key them all in and done. Took maybe 30 minutes! The girl who done them didn't really know what she was doing. I then called and ask about doing a amendment. Only adding 2 again simple ones added. They wanted to charge me $160! The bad part was the ladies working had no idea what to charge. Two days later they called to let me know. You would think what they charged me the amendment would be free. They should be ashamed of themselves taking advantage of people. They need to be upfront with their ridiculous prices. Liberty you should be ashamed. I've turned you in to Better Business Bureau ned you in to Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I’ve been using Liberty Tax Service 2 years. Even the last year Liberty Tax Service try to make it right by offering me this year's taxes with no fees. I was sure to ask the question when I was told this and my question was, “You mean I don't have any fees whatsoever?" "Know you're value customer," that's what was stated to me. This year's experience was quite different. First of all I was greeted. I was treated politely. My question was answered. I was ecstatic about the situation, and I'm very excited about not having any fees whatsoever. So we got the papers and everything prepared. The taxes was finished. I received $50 for using Liberty Tax Service. Granted that's the only thing that I've ever been told it was for when we first come in just for filing with Liberty Tax Service.

So as we were signing I took a look down and there were charges. The representative who was working with me said, “Oh that's just the paperwork. You won't be charged for it.” I said, “Oh okay.” We went on about our way. Still excited after all the tax forms were finished we were lucky enough to get an advance. Things was really going good and I was really excited. Everything have went so great. We were excited. We were happy we felt like we were service to the utmost until the day the deposit was there for the remainder at this time. I didn't pay it any mind but my wife being the woman that she is she sat down and read. She said that we were charged $691 dollars in fees. I said, “Okay not a problem.” I called Liberty Tax Service. Talk to the person that was in charge. I gave her specific details. She looked at me and she said, “Mr. ** okay I will handle it. I will call you at 9:30 the next morning.”

Monday I gave her the information. Tuesday there was no call. By 9:30 I began calling every 30 minutes at 11:30 a.m. to an hour until almost 7:30 p.m. Try to get at 8:15. At 8:15 the person that was in charge said to me if they want call me 'cause they had a meeting with their supervisor and she will give me a time at 9:30 in the morning. This is Wednesday morning I'm speaking about. Now believe me I was still excited. Hope the circumstance in this situation but at the same time I had to think about something. Tuesday she was supposed to call me at 9:30 am again. So instead of getting upset laid down to take a nap to keep from stressing. So when I woke up I was fine. I just got up and check my phone see if I had a phone call and text or any kind of response back two whole days.

I immediately called Liberty Tax Service. When I called they said she was not in. Little did they know I was right in the parking lot when I made the call and was told that she was not there. So the young lady came out and she said, “I had just got back in.” I didn't pay it any mind and then she gave me an update and told me what was going on so I. The next time I went up she was really gone and the representative was told that she was going to pick up my check so I went home again and I waited and I waited. This is when frustration kicked in. Then I call over to the other side the Hanes Mall location, gave my name, tell him who I was looking for and the gentleman said to me, “Your check is here. You can come and get it when you want to.”

I said, “Excuse me.” I know the manager just pick the check up and it supposed to be over here so then I had to go catch a bus over to the mall pick up the check, pay somebody $15 to buy me a place to cash a handwritten check which was hard for a moment. I was pissed. One because I was charged when I was told I wouldn't be charged for anything. Any fees they were taking care of it 'cause I was a valued customer and for my inconvenience. Will I ever go back and use Liberty Tax Service again? Right now I can't answer. Am I supposed to be satisfied right now? I can't answer and still up until this moment I haven't gotten that call or text or anything from the manager who care so much. Not a, "Thank you for your patience."

I'm sorry it took so long. I really feel like I was treated badly. I feel that they should pay all of the fees and give me my $50 back that they took from me because I didn't pay because they made a mistake the year before and we're doing this for their valued customer. I will always because of the service recommend people but in my own opinion I feel if this situation is not taken care of then I just don't want to deal with them at all. At the same time on a scale of 1 to 10 service preparation was great. Communication what’s less than 5. James And Jasmine **.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I did my taxes here a few weeks ago. I was told I was receiving a certain amount back I was never told in the whole conversation we had that my cost to file with them was 882$ never not once. She told me she was waiving my fees to efile so I thought damn I'm doing my taxes 4 free but she just wanted me to sign and get out quick before I notice the charge. I don't know what she did extra on my taxes that she had to charge me so much. The most I would expect is like 300-350. I want to know exactly what I'm getting charged for.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I did my taxes online last night. I am single, homeowner, and not a lot of deductions. Should be easy right? Well this website is not user friendly. First it took me 15 minutes to log on, create a password, and go thru hoops to get in. I had to do password reset 4 times and even change a username. Then I wanted to upload last year's return after filling some of it out and was told I had to delete the return I started and start a whole new one. The whole process took me 5 hours. Now I am trying to get a copy of my taxes and have to use the "chat" function to get help... and they are telling me their server is down. I'll never use them again. Next time I'll pay the extra and drop them off like I've done every other year.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Horrible place. They charged me 900 to do my taxes and did not tell me they were charging me that much. Do not go here, worst place ever. Gave me some excuse that my bank charged 200 for direct deposit and their fee was 700 which is completely bull. My bank does not charge for direct deposit.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

The staff at this location are extraordinarily nice and professional. My poor rating is given because they are overpriced and I hope to encourage everyone to file through the IRS website or through an independent CPA. A basic 1040 form will cost $240.00 to start. That is insane! Don't let that little $50 cash for filing lure you in. It's a trap! Also, please note that their Easy Advance is crap too. If you have student loans, you will be denied. It's in the fine print.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Liberty Tax is the worst place to file your taxes. One year they insisted our tax return be mailed to them. One year we have a hard time getting our check from them. This year they want us to pay 150.00 to file our taxes. PLEASE PLEASE stay away from Liberty Tax. They are frauds. Individual agents run these place. Go with a H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt. Anybody but Liberty Tax. PLEASE STAY AWAY! Liberty Tax in Cleveland Ohio.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

We went on Friday evening to do my husband's taxes. We had forgot receipts, so we had to come back the next day. We went back. Taxes were done, except the gentleman couldn't figure out how to scan in receipts. We were told we would get a phone call when it was figured out, 2 days went by, we called and were told they just needed to be signed. Took 20 minutes to get there, we go in and were then told that he still didn't figure it out. So no communication at this Liberty. It's family owned by people that don't know how to do taxes. We got our paperwork and left.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

First thing I noticed was the provider filing my return obviously was lazy and wasn't paying attention to simple details as far as my contact number, email and my address all had mistakes and I don't understand how or why? Especially when they were repeated throughout the entire visit with my ID, w2, pay stubs, etc. Then for a basic filing I was charged almost $600. Never again!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

When we went there, I thought they are good and know what they are doing... So lady said she will just call us once shes done but after so many hours we waited we dont receive any call and when we went there she said shes not yet finish and we went back home again and finally she called us but she said she

Cannot do the tax filing for us because shes not CPA... WTF!!! Just wasted our time!!! I will never ever suggest this to you!!! Very lazy workers!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My son went to have taxes prepared thinking 50$. 2 W2s. No quote about price was discussed. Called and made appt. He owns nothing. Simple 1040. Cost over 350$ for prepare. Then the money is not sent from the IRS to the consumer, it is sent to a bank, then to the consumer. Egregious, outrageous, ridiculous! Something big time fishy with this company ripping people off... If you have any sense you will use the IRS website or visit an independent accountant to prepare. I own a business and home, and file long form and pay $100.00 for my filings. Where do they have the audacity not to tell you what it is going to cost until after they hit the submit button and you lose all your return to them. Disgusting!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Went to Liberty taxes in Vineland NJ. I ask them how much they charge. She said it goes by the forms. Ok so I did my taxes and two days later I was not busy so I am looking through them. They charged me 624 dollars to do my taxes. This is not right. There should be a law for changing people too much money. They know how much they charge from the beginning. People be careful. Don't let this tax service get over on you. I goes down there to address the situation. He like, "Come back next year. I will charge you 200." Smh. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Very fast and friendly service. The representative is very nice, they acknowledge us when we walked in the door. Wait time was awesome too. I would recommend for people to go to the highland location...

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I usually do my taxes myself but I needed some financial help so I went to Liberty Tax and was told the refund loan is guaranteed. But I was turned down! If I was told there was a possible chance of being turn down for the loan I would have never use this place. I was charged $450... When I usually pay $0 when I do it myself. Never again will I use a tax company to do my taxes. Thanks for nothing Liberty Tax!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I never told how much were they going to charge me and I was charged almost $1,000 and I haven't got my state taxes back which I send all the information that they require and I also went to the office and they had to submit it again and I never got my state taxes but I think I was overcharged and I never got a response back.

Liberty Tax Service Company Information