Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Liberty Tax Service is a tax preparation and filing company with more than 3,000 offices across the U.S. and Canada. Liberty Tax Service helps consumers file and prepare their taxes and promises maximum refunds.

BOTTOM LINE

Liberty Tax Service is a tax prep and filing franchise that offers tax services online and in stores across North America. The company works to give consumers accurate information so they can receive maximum refunds.

PROS

• Get up to $50 for filing
  • Maximum refund promise
  • Available in all 50 states and Canada

CONS

• Independently operated franchises

Top Liberty Tax Service Reviews We Found

My wife and I are in our mid-eighties and were recently married. We filed a very complicated tax return at the Peoria, AZ office. Randi the tax preparer was very patient working with us on our first joint federal return and two state returns. The Liberty software was up to the challenge.

I had the best experience at Liberty Tax in Tyler, Tx at the Beckham location. I highly recommend going here. I went to a different location first and actually left there due to the sluggishness of the preparers.

What is Liberty Tax Service?

Liberty Tax Service performs a range of tax-related services in stores and online, including:

• Personal tax preparation and filing
  • Business tax preparation and filing
  • Online preparation and filing assistance

If you’re interested in working with Liberty Tax, visit its website to begin filing online or find a franchise location near you. Filing your taxes online with Liberty Tax takes as few as 15 minutes and gives you access to the company's 360-degree customer support and 100% accuracy guarantee. If there’s a mistake on your returns or you don’t get the maximum available refund, Liberty Tax refunds its preparation fees and reimburses you for any penalty costs.

If you’ve already had your taxes done by another tax service company but are concerned about accuracy, take advantage of Liberty Tax Service’s free double-check. Its tax specialists can look over your taxes for free to make sure there aren’t any errors.

How much does Liberty Tax charge?

Liberty Tax Service has three levels of online tax filing and preparation:

• Basic ($44.95 plus $39.95 per state return): This plan is a good choice for single filers or married couples with no dependents.
  • Deluxe ($64.95 plus $34.95 per state return): This plan is ideal for people with dependents or investments.
  • Premium ($89.95 plus $34.95 per state return): This plan is best for those who are self-employed or earn less common forms of income.

Visit your local Liberty Tax Service branch for more information on in-store filing and preparation costs. Depending on where you live and your tax situation, Liberty Tax may have special offers available.

Liberty Tax Service FAQ

Is Liberty Tax available near me?
Liberty Tax Services is available in all 50 states and has more than 3,000 locations in the U.S. and Canada.
How much does it cost to get your taxes done at Liberty Tax?
Liberty Tax offers three plan levels at different costs. The Basic plan is $44.95, the Deluxe plan is $64.95 and the Premium plan is $89.95. The company charges additional fees to file state tax returns.
Does Liberty Tax do tax loans?
Yes, Liberty Tax offers Easy Advance loans that function like a tax loan and cash advance. You can apply for the company's Easy Advance loan in four simple steps on its website:
  1. Choose your filing status.
  2. Add your personal information.
  3. Add your estimated tax return.
  4. Verify your information.
If approved, you could be eligible for a loan ranging from $500 to $6,250.
What bank does Liberty Tax Service use?
Liberty Tax Service uses Netspend, a registered agent of Republic Bank & Trust Company, to issue funds.

Is Liberty Tax good?

Liberty Tax Service is available in every state and makes online tax filing simple. The company's free double-check service is popular with many customers who want to ensure they receive the maximum refund for which they're eligible. Make sure you review its plans to see which one best fits your tax filing needs and visit its website to confirm that its services are right for you.

Liberty Tax Service Reviews

Original review: March 26, 2020

I hope that they fill right for me. It was the first time that I let some else fill my income tax return. I hope that I will win the reward so I can pay my tax. It was very stress to see that I paid Uncle Sam.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Help is great, price is way too high. I have three homes and I been paying $350 for the past three years but was very surprised how much they charged me this year - more than $150 more than last year. I will not go back next year. I was very upset on the new price.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I would like the world to know how nice and helpful my tax preparer and the rest of the staff at the Riverview location are. The staff there are very kid friendly. They also had popcorn and drinks for myself and the children after having an already long day. This is the first time I have ever been to do my taxes.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I used Liberty Tax last year & they were awesome. I came back again this year & they remembered me, offered refreshments and took care of business. My son was with me and they had toys for him to play with & were so very patient.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Tax Service?

Original review: June 17, 2020

In 2018 Mariella put a non existing address causing me to get audited. In 2019 she made the same mistake. Charging me almost $700 every time she prepared them. The owner of the office never once returned my calls.

Original review: April 15, 2020

If you don’t want a ton of errors on your taxes avoid this business. This was my first year filing along with my husband in the Roosevelt location. This place put my tax refund in the wrong bank account. It’s almost 2 months later and still no refund. The supervisor Mike is never in the office, and hardly responds to calls. I will never ever go to this place for any tax purposes.

Original review: April 12, 2020

I checked online to see how much it costs for basic tax filing and it stated online the most basic tax filing is just $19.95 from Liberty Tax. So I visited Liberty Tax to do the tax filing from them thinking it would be a total breeze with no hassle of any sort. Boy, was I wrong. I have been unemployed the entire year of 2019, I had the latest income statement from welfare for the month of April with $957.40 being the amount I receive from Social Services each month and that is the same amount I get each month so for 12 months it equals to just $11,488.88 the entire year. And I also brought the statement with me that I got from TCH (Toronto Community Housing) confirming the rental payments for the year 2019 being $1,668.00 with the Statement of Assistance I receive each month also stating and confirming the rent I pay each month that being $139.00 x 12 months = $1,668 annual total.

I said to the female who was going to do the tax filing at Liberty Tax that I was unemployed for the entire year of 2019 and I did not make any extra income from anywhere so the tax filing is very, very basic. The T5007 Statement of Benefits I have received in the mail from C.R.A. which basically states the total amount of Social Assistance Payments I received and this one for the year 2019 states the amount as $11,488.88 which is the same as what the Monthly Income Statement I receive from Social Services each month indicates and confirms from Social Services that I get $957.40 each month and that means the total of that is 12 months x $957.40 = $11,488.88 for the entire year of 2019 which is the same information on the T5007 Statement of Benefits Slip.

HOWEVER I did not have the T5007 slip with me and I explained to the female from Liberty Tax that when I have been using free tax clinics they had not kept any portion of the T5007 Statement of Benefits that I brought with me and gave to them. They just took a look at it and returned the whole statement back to me to keep, or they stapled it the entire thing together on my UFILE Summary Statement after tax filing has been completed and so because of the other statements that I did bring with me I said to her it would not make a difference with proof regarding the information that I have given to her.

It would, I was aware be false information if I did not receive the same amount from welfare each month for the entire year but I said to her the rent total statement from TCH for the year would contradict the information though because if what I receive each month from welfare is less or more, the rent price each month also changes with it, and if I were to lie to her and give false information I would be held responsible and I don't have any interest to risk the price I would have to pay if I were to give false information. I also told her I can schedule an appointment with her to visit Liberty Tax again if she wants to show her the T5007 Statement of Benefits Slip, it is just that I did not bring it with me at this visit like I thought I have.

She went ahead with the tax filing and it took her just 5 minutes to do it but much to my surprise she said that the 5 minutes it took her to tax file (with no tax return involved) she said I will have to pay $55.00 for the service I received! I said, "I am sorry, online it states that Liberty Tax only charges $19.95 for basic tax filing". She not only firmly denied that $19.95 for basic tax filing exists or ever existed, she also took it to liberty to call me "stupid"! I don't have a megalomanic ego nor an inflated ego so her nonsensical comment about my intelligence was just rude and crude. It didn't tarnish my self esteem a bit, however she did look suddenly very unprofessional to me no longer with the same image prior.

I said to her, "You can use your paper shredder for the tax filing that you did for me because I am not going to pay $55.00 for the most basic tax filing that only took you 5 minutes of your time." She said "okay" and she shred the UFILE tax filing that she did and I left there quite displeased by the customer service I received from her. I was in a terrible mood from it the ENTIRE day. Even on my way home. I didn't enjoy the visit to Liberty Tax at all.

Original review: March 16, 2020

My husband and I enquired on the advantages and disadvantages of combined tax filing. We were made to believe that combined filing provides more benefits and credits, when in reality that is not the case, and we only realized after completing the filing process (and could not back track). Not only did we get less credit, we also lost other benefits we were otherwise entitled. Nevertheless, we went ahead (we had no other option) and were given our respective guaranteed return amounts.

When the actual credit came in, it was much less than what was even guaranteed. On enquiring they coolly said may be the system did not calculate properly and hence the error!!!! If they have no control on what they do or what their systems do, what is the point in providing a signed guarantee that they cannot live up to? That piece of paper is just trash and has no value or validity. They are simply misleading to get clients but not really helping the unaware. They even denied any benefit for the medical expenses I incurred during the year. Also, they are very expensive. I will neither ever go back to them nor recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Went there to do my taxes. The lady that did it forgot to add One of my dependents. When I went home I was looking at the return and it was way less than previous year. Found out one of my kids was missing. I called. She told me, "No problem. It happens all the time, come in and will add the kid". I went in. She print the paperwork. Had me sign everything and told me to mail it. I left, went home, open the envelope. Turns out she had the address wrong so I went back. Got it changed again. Looking to make sure everything is ok before I send it out. IT TURNS OUT THEY CHARGED ME $100 MORE AND IT WAS NEVER MENTIONED TO ME AT ALL. I will never go back there. People really need to get together and stop going there. I mean c'mon the reviews for this place are horrible. NO MORE.

Liberty Tax Service Company Information