Liberty Tax Service

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I went to Liberty Tax this year and I regrettably had to go back in the office 4xs to have them fix computer issues on their end because my taxes kept getting kicked back. Then I was told I would get 2694 back. Finally IRS app shows taxes were sent to me. I look at my account and there was only 1815. Liberty tax charged me 879. I'm so pissed. That is outrageous and I'm not letting it go. I'm going to do whatever I can to keep fighting their blatant robbery of their customers.

Mohammad ** is a Fraud, his whole crew are nasty and will make mistakes on your tax return. He says one price before the tax return and after half done will give you different amount to bring in cash. I was charged $1500 for doing 2 w2 tax return. When I paid him cash $500, he held my file for a month and then said bring another $1000 or else I have you and your wife's info which I can sell them to with lots of money. Immediately, I did my tax return somewhere else and I promised myself that I won't go back to his office or never in Liberty Tax return. Selling my info? He is a disgusting person in real life, always act like he is cooking something. I complained to SEC, IRS, all Credit companies and also complained to Liberty tax return. I am very upset with his behavior and I think FBI should put him jail.

Unfortunately we chose this place to file our taxes and I'm sharing my experience to hopefully warn others of fees that may not be disclosed to them and possibly save them time because they are slow. The beginning of the experience was nice, the lady that prepared our taxes was unfortunately not forthcoming with all the costs of filing with Liberty Tax. They explain what "they" will charge, but she never disclosed there would be additional fees from what I've been told now, is by another bank. After explaining to the manager how I felt that I had been tricked into doing my taxes there, I would have not paid that high of a price to file my taxes. He was so rude and obviously lied to the owner about our conversation because the owner told me there was no way I was going to bully him into returning my $49.95 processing fee that I was NEVER informed that I would be paying and it was taken out of my refund.

They don't have your paperwork ready right away, in my opinion so they can cover up this hidden fee even longer. Maybe by the time you get your refund, you'll just forget about it. I doubt they have many repeat customers. I have no problem paying the high cost of convenience if I choose to do so but Liberty Tax should be upfront about everything that's deducted from the refund, not just disclose their fees. H&R Block was busy and booked for 3 days and not a single person in this place should have been my first clue. I would NEVER RECOMMEND the Waxahachie location.

After we were finished with our tax preparation, they then said we'd have to come back days later for our paperwork, and it wasn't even ready when they said it would be. Another reason I won't return here, even if the fee was not taken or it was disclosed in the beginning, I've never had to wait days for my paperwork with anyone. H&R Block and other places I've filed always gave it to us after we were done on the first and only visit of the year. Then above all that, the manager that never saw my identification gave me my paperwork on the THIRD visit. It wasn't ready when they said it would be, then when they said it was ready, I had reasons I couldn't pick it up and asked if they'd mail it. They refused to mail it and so when I went to get it the 2nd visit, the manager said it had already been picked up.

That had concerned me because my husband nor I had picked it up. Then he said he'd call me when he would get it ready again. I seriously couldn't just leave with it then, it was over a month since we'd filed! He did call & say he located the file and it was ready to be picked up FINALLY. I went in and he didn't even ask for any identification and just turned over my very confidential information, luckily to myself.

I 100% feel I've been cheated, and I don't care who benefited from that processing fee, and I believe the owner should had done the right thing and refunded it out of his profit because it was his preparer that didn't tell me about the fee. He doesn't agree with that and that plus the fact they have to dress someone up in a costume to attract business during tax season is pretty indicative of how good of a businessman he is. BEWARE OF HIDDEN FEES. You don't sign paperwork, you sign with a stylist before you can even read what you sign. I feel that should be against the law. Whatever happened to reading what you're signing?

Well one, they charge way too much to do 15 minutes of work. One of my checks was sent to them on Feb. 9th. They kept it. Charged me 49.95 to take money from me on top of the 195.00 and the 105.00. Joke.

I went to Liberty Tax in Marysville Ohio to file return. Told them I have 3 dependents which is my girlfriend's kids and they filed it as my own kids so now I'm waiting on the IRS to see what they're gonna do. I can get in trouble for this when I didn't do it. I know nothing about filing taxes that's why I go to a tax preparation place so they do what they want. Told me my return was 10097 and charged me 560 to file and I got 2400 back cause the rest is froze by IRS cause they're not my kids so never go to Liberty Tax.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Tax Service?

So I filed my tax with Liberty Mutual on the 3rd of February 2017. I tried to get a advanced refund so I could have enough money to attend my grandfather funeral back home. I got approved. The man "ROBERT" who did my paperwork said they'd charge $500 and something to do it and if I don't get it on the 15th I would on the 18th and today is the 1st of March. My status is still showing my application is still being processed. I called the people that did it. They say they have no control over how long they'll take to send it. They are the worst customer satisfaction time phase lying to get people to file with them and can't give account when the 21 days has passed. I'll never do it with them again...

I used Liberty Tax Service in Brighton CO for the first time this year and it's been nothing but a hassle. The "forget" to inform you of all the rules and stipulations about easy advance they offer. They overcharge for their services. They forget to file everything necessary with the state tax authorities. They change your refund method from electronic to paper check (with the full knowledge you are moving, knowing full well the state will not forward a check). Their level of negligence and incompetence approaches criminal acts. I will never use this service again, totally not worth the wasted time and money.

For first time used them for taxes. Filing was fine until I paid fee and submitted. Now I have no access to my account using the login I opened with along with verification of email from them. What crap is this? Now I have to send email, answer security questions which were never asked of me from the website. Why have security questions set up if no use until you have a problem and have to handle with back and forth emails and hours of waiting time. Never again.

I have used Liberty Tax for at least 8 years and had never had a problem UNTIL this year when I moved to another state and had to choose a new location (SHELBYVILLE KENTUCKY) to prepare my taxes. I have NEVER paid over $200 to have my taxes prepared with Liberty and was shocked when I was told I would be charged $471 TOTAL to have them prepared this year. I was informed it was because I had purchased a home this year and moved, which meant I had state taxes for two states. I wasn't happy about this price but thought maybe it did make that big of a difference so I allowed them to continue. I have since done my research and KNOW this price was ripping me off!!! While preparing my taxes the lady doing them had to call for her manager on different occasions as she did not know what to do. I was told that the $471 would be taken out of my federal return.

Well... I received notification that my Indiana tax return had been deposited in my bank account on the 15th of Feb. Although my bank had no record of this, I had to wait 14 days to contact the IN. IRS which I did today to be told to contact Liberty Tax. I asked why and the IRS rep stated Liberty was doing a lot of people wrong. I then called Liberty Tax only to be told they didn't have time to talk to me, she didn't have my check, didn't know where my money was and she would call me back when she figured it out. So I then called the toll free Liberty Tax number to be told that the SHELBYVILLE KY location had charged me $471 PLUS an additional $49.95 processing fee!!! She further explained that my entire state tax refund was taken by them, and the rest was taken out of my federal return. This was never mentioned! The ENTIRE cost was to be $471 which was EXTREMELY high to pay anyway.

I was furious by now so I called corporate to file a complaint, which they filed and stated I should hear something back in 24 hours or if I don't then I need to call corporate back and they will take other measures. This is a real crappy way to do a customer of 8+ years. Plain and simple they took advantage of my lack of knowledge where tax preparation is concerned and when questioned they knew how to cover it up. Hope they enjoyed my 8+ years of business, as I will NEVER be back. And I plan on following up with corporate daily until some type of resolution is agreed upon. If anyone would like to call corporate, please call 1-800-790-3863, ask for a customer service rep and tell them you want to file a formal complaint. They will document your statement, forward it to the office that prepared your return and give them 24 hrs to respond to you and in closing give you a reference number.

My first experience with Liberty Tax was on Feb 14, 2017. I went to file using this company on 67th avenue and Indian school. First we got there my fiance and I and we sat down. They were polite at first. Well first off my fiance was offered a beer in the office and not only that I was charged 535.00 for them to do my taxes and then another 100.00 dollars for my state refund. I am head of household and 2 dependents. I will not discuss my return amount but I have not ever been charged twice or for even that much money. I will not recommend this company for anything and I will not use Liberty Tax again or even look their way. I made a call today to the place I went and the supervisor was rude and had a messed up attitude... I feel like I am being ripped the ** off. Ugh. Just ridiculous.

I have been going to Liberty Tax for about 5 years. The service is good. They are very friendly and helpful. And they give you $50 cash for letting them do your taxes. But every year it costs more. This year it cost me 597.00 to get my taxes done and an anticipation loan. I feel I'm being overcharged. Can someone help me? If I am being overcharged. How do I get my money back?

I thought that Liberty Tax would be cheap because it is a walk-in place. I asked how much it would cost, and they told me that it would depend. I should have run then, but I went ahead and had them do my taxes. It took the guy over two hours for my tax preparation, and then he wanted to charge me $500! I got up to leave, and they lowered the amount. I did not feel that they were trustworthy or competent. I do NOT recommend them.

Had problems getting tax filed correctly. Inexperienced employees. Was told the fee was $95.00. To be taken from the refund. Asked for direct deposit. Refund was minus $149.95, instead of 95. Was told their bank charges 49.95 for deposit. I asked why I wasn't told of this or a copy of this agreement. Was told their printer wasn't working. Was told if I had paid upfront I could have saved 49.95. Wasn't told any of this.

I had my taxes done but I had an issue with my status. To make a long story short, the lady that helped me Coleta I think her name was lied about receiving my file, lied about who could help me, lied about who I could call, and lied about how long it would take to fix it. I ended catching her in her lies. After I get my refund I am filing a complaint with their corporate office. I would do it sooner but I worry she might try to mess with me again. NEVER GO THERE!!!

First & last time customer with Liberty Tax, $525 to prepare my taxes. They got me the least back from all prior years & charge a lot more! I will not recommend this place to anyone for any of services they provide, they reach you $50 & act as though that's a big amount, which in reality they are sneaky & getting that $50 back & then some! This place needs to be shut down! It was all less than an hour worth of work at that!!!

Liberty Tax was very rude when went to prepare my tax. They did not contact me when my refund did arrive. They charge a total of $555.00 just to enter some numbers in the system. They have been committing fraud.

I have filed with Liberty Taxes since 2012. My experience has not been like everyone else's. Yes, they are not cheap, but they will get you to highest refund. I have always been approved for the advance, but I never took more than $750.00. This time I only advance $500.00 off my refund. They really do not know if a person will get approved or not. The only person who will know whether or not they get approved for the advance is the applicant. If you are approved, the money will be in your bank account by the next business day. Literally, if you applied for it on Monday, it should be there on Tuesday, no later than Wednesday.

In regards to getting my refund, I never, ever had a problem except when I forgot to file with that Health form from the Market Place. That was not their fault. It was mine, so this year I made sure I had all of my forms with me. I believe you get what you pay for in life. The only con I have is the $49.99 fee charged for them doing an electronic transfer of my money. I may not agree with that, but everything else is cool.

I have a Partnership. They screwed up my taxes so bad that I had to then go to an accountant to do an amended return. It cost me $1,000.00. The location where I went to is In Reading, PA. The owner Eugenie ** said she would send me a check to pay me back what I paid her and I'm still waiting. It has been four weeks. I am giving her till tomorrow and if I don't have the check I am going to my attorney. DONT USE LIBERTY TAX. When I contacted the corporate office they just keep giving me the runaround. They messed with the wrong person. I will not stand for this.

Final cost for filing taxes: RIP OFF. I never use services like Liberty but I did this year 2017. I used Liberty of Bristol, VA only because I had attempted to file my taxes online on a well-known company's website and within 48 hours my personal computer had been hacked by a Zeus Trojan Virus. Someone was attempting to steal my identity and create panic. I was told by the Internal Revenue Service that if someone filed my return before I did there was nothing the IRS could do to stop it. SAY WHAT? I rushed to Liberty because a friend said they would give us both $50. They gave me $50 but said they couldn't find my "friend" in their system yet he had filed there that previous year. After being asked various personal questions (ssi #, address, phone number, dob...) in a very insecure setting where others in the lobby could possibly hear my answers they started the filing process.

Once that was over the tax prep quoted me a fee of approximately $565. I told her I wouldn't pay that amount so she stood up and walked over to a lady's desk beside hers and the individual confirmed a 15% to 20% discount which made my tax preparation cost nearly $400. I told Kayla the tax prep that if she could get my return down to a certain amount I would agree to file with them. She "discount" the service cost a few dollars more and I agreed but then she said there was a $49 fee for filing or something. WTH, I thought I had agreed to pay $329 or close to that amount a few minutes ago. I don't know what that fee was for but I will find out! So at this point I was completely aggravated beyond imagination and I agreed to pay the $49 inconvenience fee which brought my final cost to file well over $350.

I didn't have a babysitter on this particular day and I had no choice but to force my 2 year old to set through the entire process plus when I had made my appt I told them about my computer being attacked by a virus. They knew I had to beat the hacker to the filing process and knew I would agree to pay just about any amount just to keep someone from stealing my return. I simply wanted out of there so I agreed to whatever they said at a price that would later pick and gnaw at me. I'm extremely aggravated with Liberty because I feel they took advantage of my situation. They knew when I'd scheduled the appt that I was pressed to beat a thief from filing my taxes before I could get a chance to file. Plus they had to assume that I wouldn't make my child set through another process just like this somewhere else. I do feel that I beat a hacker from filing first but that Liberty beat me out of hundreds of hard earned dollars.

No, I didn't have to pay upfront but seriously that is about $250 more than I ever wanted and expected to pay. If I could stop this filing process and take my business elsewhere I would but the IRS tells me I can't do that. I wish I had held off because I firmly regret paying that amount more and more with each passing moment. I panicked and wasn't thinking clearly as I am right now. Go to a professional accountant, pay $100 to file your taxes and sleep comfortably at night unlike myself. I am seriously losing sleep over this entire experience. I want to add that Kayla was very understanding, nice and respectful. She did exactly what she was taught by Liberty training associates. Hats off to Kayla for clearing a paycheck and doing her job. I could not rip people off, take advantage of their circumstances and feel good about myself or my job come the next business day.

As far as I know, Liberty never paid that "friend" who recommended I use Liberty the $50 they promised to pay. Plus that "friend" nearly fell out of their seat when they found out how much I had to pay to use Liberty Tax Services and sincerely apologize for recommending them to me. As the saying goes, you get me once shame on you, get me twice shame on me. I will never under any circumstances EVER use this service again!!?? I do not recommend Liberty to anyone so beware to all who may be considering using them this tax season!!

I live in Derry NH, I have been going to Liberty Tax services for 2 yrs now. The first year I went they told me that the marketplace in NH where I got my insurance were not taking out enough money so I need to increase my deductions, which I did. This year they tell me the same thing and that I would not be getting any refund from Uncle Sam. I find this to be a bit troublesome, why am I getting a tax credit? And I increased my deductible, I think this is a scam and they should be investigated.

When I went to Liberty Tax Service place today, to get my taxes done, I expected a tax preparer fee as one would when going to any tax preparer be it H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, etc. However, I didn't expect to pay $200 more than last year. They said it was due to a few reasons – I made a little more than in 2015 and it costs more to have moving expenses deducted. Having my moving expenses deducted (showing them my moving receipts from U-Haul, hotel stays, etc.) cost me almost $100 more in tax preparer fees. What BS. If this is what the well-known tax preparers do after it has been filed – not telling you the reasons for the extra charges, then I won't ever consider using one of them again in the future. Wrong to charge extra for moving expenses.

Consumer Increased Rating!

An awesome District Manager named Karisma resolved this matter within a few days of my complaints to the corporate office and also issued me a refund and apologized for any troubles experienced. She totally understood what needed to be done. Also, I like to commend the corporate CS rep Verna for being super fast with response and copies of all correspondence to both main corporate and district. These two people show you how good CS is important in an increasingly transparent society.

anthony of Cresco, PA on

Original Review

I was yelled at for 15 minutes on the phone by the office manager. Delayed for 1.5 weeks, blamed and blown off for their mistake filing of my taxes incorrectly. The office manager said she is doing the fix out of courtesy and will notify the agencies out of the goodness out of her heart. She kept saying to me it will be taken care of same day of after she handles the paying customers that are breathing down her throat. Of course, I paid much earlier for a faulty return on their behalf and I am considered no longer a paying customer. I would highly never recommend this company to anyone and warn you to stay far away,

Liberty Tax 809 Berry St. Fort Worth, Tx - I got my taxes done 2 weeks ago thinking I would get it back and they hadn't even submitted it and it still wasn't submitted till today. They're telling I'm still getting charged.

For the past three years I have been going to Liberty Tax and got my tax refund there on Century Blvd., and the one on Manchester Blvd., on La Brea, and they did my taxes and got it in the mail in no time. The customer services was great. I had no problems because it was closed to the neighborhood. They would call me to check and see if I got my tax refund but you have to go and pick it up or have a bank account.

This was our (me and my husband's) second time back. So, we are one might call returning clients or customers. We had a very simple return. They charged us almost 300.00 and then to make us feel a little better about it, handed us a 50.00 bill. The people were nice enough, but never again. We will be doing our taxes ourselves next year. This is not how you treat return customers Liberty Tax... Sorry.

I went to Liberty for the first time to file my 2016 tax returns. It was then when I seen a problem but with me not knowing everything I need to know I went ahead and filed them anyway. This year I didn't get as much back as I did last year. This year I was only getting $500. They took 400 of that they need to go out of business because they are not doing a good job. I mean seriously $400 when I'm only getting back 5.

I went Liberty Tax in Stillwater, OK. I went here to just get an estimate on how much they would charge and after she entered my information I was told how much and she you will have it in 24 hours. I thought of "great. I don't have to wait long like I would with TurboTax." I even asked the lady what about them saying no refunds till the 15th. She said "no just 24 hours." I said "ok let's do it." So 2 days go by and I went back to check because I haven't heard from them and that's when they told me I had to wait till after the 15th. I said that isn't what the girl told me and all they said was sorry. I said me too. I'm never using them again. I am beyond ticked off.

Oh my goodness Liberty Tax is running a huge scam and I hope they get what they deserve. I've always filed my own taxes for free but needed a loan so I applied for their loan. They told me they would charge me around $250 and that I would not know if approved until after signing to file my taxes with them. First of all, they are falsely advertising NO FEE part of the loan/tax refund advance. There is a fee. It's a $49.99 bank fee. Of course it get charged out of your income tax refund. Second, you MUST file your taxes and sign to pay the tax preparation fee (minimum $250-$500) in order to APPLY for the advance loan. And THIRD liberty tax says the advance is not credit based nor do they know qualification criteria.

Liberty tax is full of LIES. I told them I was only interested in getting my taxes done with them for the advance. They told me the cost I thought the $250 would be okay, turned out I have to pay $450 for the forms they have to use with my tax situation (Head of household, 1 dependent, 1 W-2 - super simple, I've always done myself for free). I agreed because the tax office owner informed me the advance would be submitted for approval, and she said people rarely got denied. She said she only had a couple of people ever get denied. And that I would know within 24 hrs after filing my taxes. And that if I was denied I would get a letter explaining why. And that Liberty Tax has no idea of reason for denial because the decision is not made with credit check.

So after I leave, a couple of hours later I get an email saying I was NOT approved. I couldn't wait for the denial letter to arrive so I could find out on paper why I wasn't approved. What the letter states is the reason for denial: AMOUNT OF TAX CREDITS. And then a paragraph about how they ran a credit check through Hesperian and decision was made in whole or in part through that credit reporting agency. What the world does AMOUNT OF TAX CREDITS mean??? My whole refund is basically the EITC and additional child tax credit. It make no sense whatsoever other than it's a scam and I wish I would have turned around from this awful place. Bad company. Don't do your taxes with them. At least not if you can use TurboTax. Use TurboTax. Hands down way easier and better. Times a million.

I went to have my taxes done at Liberty Tax Service. I have been hedged 562.00 to prepare them for a simple 1040 then I see they taken 49.95 out to transfer my lil money I do get into my bank account. I never paid this much to file then I see that they added all my taxes that I made in New York added to the money I made in KY. They said I owed New York taxes and I never owed. I always got my taxes from New York, all of them. I need to know why.

I've been filing online with Liberty Tax (e smart tax) for 8 years. I have had nothing but problems with them for the last 2 years. You cannot get a person on the phone to talk to you about issues, but can only leave a message and someone from customer chat is supposed to get back to you within 24 hours. They don't call back. I had no issues with my return and contacted customer chat because after 10 days it was still in submitted status. I was told something different each time I contacted them (20 times) and no one knew how to fix the problem from showing and ID to software issues and bugs in my return. It was going to cost me $150 to file my return with them. I stumbled on the website Eztax return and filed the SAME return for $20 with NO issues. I will NEVER go back to their company. What a huge rip off and a waste of my time.

Liberty Tax Service Company Profile