1.25/5
Based on 373 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

375 Liberty Tax Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

The staff at this location are extraordinarily nice and professional. My poor rating is given because they are overpriced and I hope to encourage everyone to file through the IRS website or through an independent CPA. A basic 1040 form will cost $240.00 to start. That is insane! Don't let that little $50 cash for filing lure you in. It's a trap! Also, please note that their Easy Advance is crap too. If you have student loans, you will be denied. It's in the fine print.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Liberty Tax is the worst place to file your taxes. One year they insisted our tax return be mailed to them. One year we have a hard time getting our check from them. This year they want us to pay 150.00 to file our taxes. PLEASE PLEASE stay away from Liberty Tax. They are frauds. Individual agents run these place. Go with a H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt. Anybody but Liberty Tax. PLEASE STAY AWAY! Liberty Tax in Cleveland Ohio.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

We went on Friday evening to do my husband's taxes. We had forgot receipts, so we had to come back the next day. We went back. Taxes were done, except the gentleman couldn't figure out how to scan in receipts. We were told we would get a phone call when it was figured out, 2 days went by, we called and were told they just needed to be signed. Took 20 minutes to get there, we go in and were then told that he still didn't figure it out. So no communication at this Liberty. It's family owned by people that don't know how to do taxes. We got our paperwork and left.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

When we went there, I thought they are good and know what they are doing... So lady said she will just call us once shes done but after so many hours we waited we dont receive any call and when we went there she said shes not yet finish and we went back home again and finally she called us but she said she

Cannot do the tax filing for us because shes not CPA... WTF!!! Just wasted our time!!! I will never ever suggest this to you!!! Very lazy workers!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

First I would like to say, I've never been to a tax place where soon as you walk in the door you are comfortable. My first time with Liberty Tax and the staff makes you feel at home, I had so many questions where it was information that I never knew about, and every question was answered. I had a great time with the ladies, so helpful, polite and of course funny, but all around very professional... I thank you ladies for being so kind and helpful. I recommend going to Liberty Tax on Central Ave East Orange, NJ and go check out these ladies... Thanks KAITHY, JACKIE, PAULINE... Keep up the great work... God bless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Tax Service?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My son went to have taxes prepared thinking 50$. 2 W2s. No quote about price was discussed. Called and made appt. He owns nothing. Simple 1040. Cost over 350$ for prepare. Then the money is not sent from the IRS to the consumer, it is sent to a bank, then to the consumer. Egregious, outrageous, ridiculous! Something big time fishy with this company ripping people off... If you have any sense you will use the IRS website or visit an independent accountant to prepare. I own a business and home, and file long form and pay $100.00 for my filings. Where do they have the audacity not to tell you what it is going to cost until after they hit the submit button and you lose all your return to them. Disgusting!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Went to Liberty taxes in Vineland NJ. I ask them how much they charge. She said it goes by the forms. Ok so I did my taxes and two days later I was not busy so I am looking through them. They charged me 624 dollars to do my taxes. This is not right. There should be a law for changing people too much money. They know how much they charge from the beginning. People be careful. Don't let this tax service get over on you. I goes down there to address the situation. He like, "Come back next year. I will charge you 200." Smh. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

IT'S IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAnd that each site is individually owned (franchised) so a professional experienced person at one location will not provide the same experience as a shady owner whom your neighbor went to somewhere else. If you choose based on reviews, be site specific. I learned this the hard way. 1st year I went to the Eden sq location in Bear DE and actually got more money than I ever had with anyone else.

However, I was unaware they was run differently and the following year I went to Fox Run Shopping Center, in Bear DE also and they completely screwed up my return plus they were very unprofessional and took hours! I accidentally called the GOOD location as a follow-up, that's when the guy explained being franchised and I explained my situation and how mad I was. Since then I have continued to go to the Eden square location for the past 5 years and always receive the best service with knowledged experienced preparers know which credits I'm due! Oh you get $100 unlimited referring bonus too. In cash! That day!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Very fast and friendly service. The representative is very nice, they acknowledge us when we walked in the door. Wait time was awesome too. I would recommend for people to go to the highland location...

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I usually do my taxes myself but I needed some financial help so I went to Liberty Tax and was told the refund loan is guaranteed. But I was turned down! If I was told there was a possible chance of being turn down for the loan I would have never use this place. I was charged $450... When I usually pay $0 when I do it myself. Never again will I use a tax company to do my taxes. Thanks for nothing Liberty Tax!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I never told how much were they going to charge me and I was charged almost $1,000 and I haven't got my state taxes back which I send all the information that they require and I also went to the office and they had to submit it again and I never got my state taxes but I think I was overcharged and I never got a response back.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Liberty Tax has been the best tax service for me since 2005. They are always professional and knowledgeable about current tax laws and changes. I would recommend Liberty Tax despite the higher preparation cost. If any issues arise with your refund, they are helpful and have been prompt in finding a solution. Thank you Liberty Tax Service!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My husband and I went to see a Mr. ** at one of the Liberty Tax Service offices in Jacksonville, NC due to an error done at the Camp LeJeune base, who told us that my husband in the last 4 years he did not have to file his NYS taxes in NC. Wow. They were wrong, so we went to see Mr. ** (he talks like the character from SNL and he's real short too). The 2014 NYS tax was done at another unrelated to Liberty Tax Service that they too, took a very long time in handling our D-400, nevertheless we paid our NYS taxes including our penalties and interest fees. Because this other office took such a long time, we decided to go to Liberty Tax Service and this is where we met Mr. **. He took care of our 2015 and 2016 NYS taxes and paid what we owed including penalties and interest fees to the NCDOR.

On October 4, 2018 we went to see Mr. ** at one of the Liberty Tax Service office in Jacksonville, NC, and we were told that he was not around by a Payroll female person with short, blond hair, middle aged ** woman. She referred us to a another Tax Preparer, Beth **, and we made an appointment to see her the next day. Ok She prepares our 2017 D-400, and she states that she sent it electronically. She instructed us that it would take 3 to 5 business days. We waited for 5 business days. NCDOR is telling us that they did not receive our D-400, meanwhile we went through Hurricane Michael. Mr. ** is telling us that our document was lost in transmission. Really?? We were being ping-ponged between NCDOR and Mr. **. Then we called Mr. ** again, and he states that he's waiting for his processor to handle the transmission. A person or a machine? I told him that all I hear are excuses coming from him.

Thank God we made our 2017 NYS taxes to NCDOR, but we wanted to know how much we owed NCDOR on penalties and interest fees. NCDOR could not calculate without receiving our D-400. NCDOR also stated that Mr. ** was lying because we went to see him about two weeks later so that he can resubmit out D-400, and NCDOR stated they still had not yet received it. I told Mr. ** D-400's do not get lost in cyberspace. We already paid Ms. Beth on 10/4/18 $90.00, so called NCDOR what were our other options, so we decided to mail our original D-400, and that it takes 4 to 6 weeks. In short, someone is lying. He shared in a previous meeting that his father was or is a Presbyterian pastor. If so, I don't think it's going to go well with him coming before his maker.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Bernice and Kelly are fabulous tax preparers that did my past two tax years, they were not of the norm. They were the best... Updated on all IRS changes and amendments, friendly, efficient and even have me a soft drink. Five star... Can't go wrong with this office.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I used the Liberty Tax Service on Sawmill Road in Dublin, Ohio to prepare my 2017 tax returns. This was quite possibly the most nerve-racking 3 HOURS of my life, as it became painfully obvious that the person preparing my taxes was totally incompetent. I would have asked for another preparer, but he was the only person in the office. Immediately upon leaving, I called the national customer service number and explained my concerns and ask if I could take my returns to another Liberty Tax location to have them reviewed. I was told by the very rude customer service rep that all their locations were independently owned and operated, and if I would have to pay them (again) to have my returns looked over. I ask to speak with a manager or supervisor and was told there was no one else I could speak with. Avoid this business as you would the plague.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I humbly would like to say that Liberty Tax located in Frandor of Lansing, is by far the best and utmost professional tax service in the business. No matter the complexity of the job, or the time constraints of finishing the job. One can depend on Liberty Tax to deliver accurate and proficient service to their clients. Undeniably!

Original review: May 14, 2018

Used another service until they became too expensive. Went to Liberty first year and had to guide them thru my return but it was fine. Year 2 had to go to another location because the first one shut down. They told me they had franchise problems. They could not transfer my prior year info, so I had to sit thru a slow retyping of my info. I reviewed their work and found several errors. Then when it was ready to transmit they told me they would not honor their own coupon and held my return until we negotiated a fee. I will never use these morons again. They wanted to charge me $750 after I did most of the work.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I file my taxes at Liberty Taxes at 56th Georgetown Rd of Indianapolis. I usually have my taxes done by the owner's daughter. She had to leave so I ended up getting my taxes done by a new girl. I gave the tax preparer all my w2’s and my both my 1095A papers and I watch her type in all my information. I watched the tax preparer closely because this happen before. I put faith in them again. Well she didn’t send all my information in correctly, which delay my taxes. So I had to in turn in again my forms to the IRS. A couple months later and I get a refund and the amount is lower and than what the tax preparer calculated. I call the owner and told her I was dissatisfied. She had a real bad attitude and was justifying why tax preparer mess up. She even try to blame me and say I didn’t give the tax preparer the forms.

I told her I drove all the way from Michigan state to Indianapolis because I trusted them so I thought. I made sure I had all my forms, isn't it the tax preparer to make sure they send all the correct form. She began to get a attitude with me over the phone. I ask her why she had attitude when I am one who should be mad. She stated that I have been a long time customer, which I have. She ask me to tell her what I wanted her to do. I told her she should be tell me what she going to do. After messing up taxes and charging almost 500 in fees, just for me get my taxes three months later and 2000 less than what was quoted. She told she will maybe give me a discount the next time I come back. Sorry **. I won’t be coming back. Liberty Tax guarantee 100 accuracy, I think not.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Liberty Tax Service, Ames, Iowa - Worst experience ever!! Ripped us off!! $260 for a single tax return and the lady didn't have any knowledge. We had to help her file the taxes. She was clueless. Our only mistake was that we didn't ask what they were going to charge beforehand. This is a life lesson for future. Never going back there.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I've had Liberty prepare our tax return every year since 2009. This year, I was shocked when they informed me it would cost $640. That's the cost to prepare a Oregon state and 1040 federal forms with medical costs and charities detailed on the schedule A. Our home is our only asset and wages from employment our only income. They applied some mystery promotion that we weren't aware of, which reduced the bill to $339. When I called to ask the total price, the Office Assistant said if we brought in 10 cans of food for the local food bank they would reduce the final total by another $50. I was prepared to pay $289, which was an increase of $30 more than last year's price of $259. When it came time to pay the agent requested $339. I asked about the donation discount and he informed us that we already had the $30 1 mystery discount applied, but he couldn't tell us any details... Because he was new.

I'm currently unemployed and my husband makes $12 per hour. Paying to have taxes done is already a stretch, but we are not savvy about ski the tax laws and wanted to be sure we were correct. In addition, the lovely healthcare exchange misquoted our monthly premium for 2017 and it was determined that we underpaid by $1500. The final result... we get to pay the IRS $1700. The State of Oregon will refund $498. Where in God's name am I going to find $1200 by April 15th. We feel like we're being taken to the cleaners. Who' next in line for our miserable income? Next year, I'll file taxes myself. Disgusted???

Original review: March 13, 2018

I would not recommend using this company to do your taxes. You would be better served frequenting one of the other tax preparation firms which are more established and well-known. Liberty Tax has a pop up office (1st Ave in East Harlem, NY) in my neighborhood and they are the most unpleasant people to have as neighbors. They conduct themselves in a very unprofessional way with the neighboring businesses and residents. Even the police had nothing good to say about Liberty based on their dealings with them after complaints from the neighbors. If they behave this way with the local residents, I would not expect honest service from them.

Resolution response: March 17, 2018

I did after all receive a check from Liberty tax today, 3-17-18. The check was dated for March 3rd, so I am not sure why it took so very long for them to mail it. The envelope was stamped March 16th. I did appologize to Liberty, and will also appologize to Bill in Maple Shade. Thank you.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Bill from Liberty Tax in Maple Shade screwed up our taxes two years in a row, by giving us a credit we did not qualify for. It cost us nearly 800.00 in back taxes and late fees. He told us we would be reimbursed the tax preparer fee for the two years and for the late fees. This was after weeks of being told he was waiting for approval of the returned fees. Then he finally said we were getting a check in the mail that would arrive in 7-10 days. It never came after waiting weeks. He put us off time and time again, and then flat out lied to us. Never again... and we had been going there for 6 years or so. Maybe longer. I understand people make mistakes, but don't lie to me about how you are going to fix it.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Spent the past month trying to file with Liberty Tax online. Their system is broken. It doesn't accept your AGI or PIN. They basically told me to wait longer for tech support to fix but couldn't give me an estimate of how long. Worse service ever. You would think it wouldn't be difficult for them since I've filed the past few years in person with them.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Being new to the area and unable to get an appointment with local tax preparers I opted to go with Liberty. I should have done the taxes myself. The people were friendly but completely unaware or unable to accurately prepare a tax return. After submitting my documentation I didn’t hear for two weeks. I called to inquire and was told they needed more information which I provided. After another two weeks and no word, I called and was told they work working on it, call back Friday. I stopped in that Friday and the preparer spent two hours (or more) preparing the taxes as I waited? When the prep was complete I was owing more than 5000 on FED and getting 3200 back on state. This did not make sense so I asked the preparer to review with me. Turned out she left out taxes paid and a deduction. That corrected, the amount owing came down on FED.

I reviewed further only to notice on state she had duplicated taxes paid and made another keying error. At that point we went line by line, I identified a few additional errors and finally the tax return was complete. The representative then informed me her manager has to review prior to finalizing. I thought this was strange but agreed. I was scheduled for a review appointment a few days later at 8:30 am. I arrived and the office was closed, lights off and nobody around. I was one of four customers waiting for appointments at 8:30?? At approximately 8:55 the manager arrived. As me and the other customers approached the manager stated to no one in particular out loud. I’ve had a rough morning, my son is with me so don’t start on me. We were all puzzled by this since not one person had said anything. We continued in the business and waited as she continue going on and on about her morning, the number of appointments, etc.

After another 5 minutes or so she came up front and said "okay, you all need to sign in. I’m the only one here so it will be at least an hour wait per person." With four people there you can figure the wait time. Several clients started to complain. Veronica’s reply was basically, if you don’t want to wait leave. I was horrified but a little stuck at this point because they had all of my originals and I hadn’t been given the copies (dumb on my part, I know). So, I waited nearly an hour and half. When my turn came I was summoned over and Veronica asked, “How can I help you”. I was furious at this point and explained I was there to finalize my taxes as I was instructed the manager had to review. Veronica disparaged her worker, huffed and started pulling up something on the computer. She stated that she would have to “redo” the taxes because there were numerous errors.

I was so confused at this point. I asked for my documents back and to cancel the preparation. She stated this was not possible and to let her review for a minute. Maybe it wasn’t as bad as she thought. Good grief - I could go on but I think by now you have the point. RUN away as fast as you can. This place is horrid. PS. I got a call later in the year from Liberty asking if I’d like to become a tax preparer. I laughed and hung up. Lesson learned the hard way.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

2017 Refund - I have used Liberty Tax since 2011 and this year I was told and shown a bottom line return. Well I owed IRS a some. Well ok but my return included tax fees etc and did not receive what IRS showed I'm am due. So Liberty says our fees came out. WHEN I WAS SHOWN ALREADY FEES WERE TAKEN OUT. TIME FOR ANOTHER TAX SERVICE.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I filed my taxes with Liberty Tax for the year 2016. I received a notice this week in the mail saying I failed to report income from a employer and that I owe the IRS $1183.00. I went to the Liberty Tax office I filed with and they did an amendment. But the amendment showed that I still owe $980.00. The person that prepared my taxes tried to say that I did not give her the w2, but all my information and w2's were in the packet of information she gave me when she completed my tax return. She will not admit that she accidentally forgot to add in one of my w2s, so now I have to pay for the mistake she made. I will never do business with Liberty Tax again, nor will I refer anyone I know to them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

They charged almost $400 for tax preparation, which is absolutely ridiculous. The only reason I went to them was because they offered $50 and I needed it to make car payment because I lost my job. After I filed I was told they didn't have the funds but would the next morning for sure. I called the next morning and was told they haven't received the funds and it would be Tuesday, still haven't received it. Do not use them, I went to two different stores and they all have terrible attitudes. I wish I had read their reviews before I went there. They should be shut down, a business shouldn't be allowed to scam so many people and get away with it. I'm going to be filing a complaint with the BBB.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Cost went from 350 to 550 in 2018. They will not even ballpark a price for. Paying this amount of $ doesn't mean you get your taxes any faster. All tax preparers will get you same amount of money. I don't have bank account mortgage just a w2 and 1099. Took less than 10min. Online says $130 to $150 or $450 for business. What a ripoff, After knowing this anyone who uses them must be hard up for $50 they give you.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

$381 for a simple return for a 26 year-old, single kid, with a dependent? For that amount of money, you would think the preparer could at least throw in some bells and whistles... continental breakfast, chocolates, stocked refrigerator, or how about just a simple, warm attitude while she’s preparing your taxes? I think we could have received a warmer welcome if we had driven straight to the IRS. It’s illegal to text and drive in my state... does that apply to texting and typing, also? She couldn’t drop the cellphone long enough to look at the numbers to fill in the blanks on the forms... well, you can bet that $381 was correct. Clearly, I need to change careers. It’ll be TurboTax next year.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Well I would not recommend Liberty Tax Service at all. They charged us 661.95 to do our taxes and never again will we go back. But I don't mind paying the fees but she took 547.00 for herself. They're con artists.

Liberty Tax Service Company Information