Liberty Tax Service

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I live in Derry NH, I have been going to Liberty Tax services for 2 yrs now. The first year I went they told me that the marketplace in NH where I got my insurance were not taking out enough money so I need to increase my deductions, which I did. This year they tell me the same thing and that I would not be getting any refund from Uncle Sam. I find this to be a bit troublesome, why am I getting a tax credit? And I increased my deductible, I think this is a scam and they should be investigated.

When I went to Liberty Tax Service place today, to get my taxes done, I expected a tax preparer fee as one would when going to any tax preparer be it H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, etc. However, I didn't expect to pay $200 more than last year. They said it was due to a few reasons – I made a little more than in 2015 and it costs more to have moving expenses deducted. Having my moving expenses deducted (showing them my moving receipts from U-Haul, hotel stays, etc.) cost me almost $100 more in tax preparer fees. What BS. If this is what the well-known tax preparers do after it has been filed – not telling you the reasons for the extra charges, then I won't ever consider using one of them again in the future. Wrong to charge extra for moving expenses.

I was yelled at for 15 minutes on the phone by the office manager. Delayed for 1.5 weeks, blamed and blown off for their mistake filing of my taxes incorrectly. The office manager said she is doing the fix out of courtesy and will notify the agencies out of the goodness out of her heart. She kept saying to me it will be taken care of same day of after she handles the paying customers that are breathing down her throat. Of course, I paid much earlier for a faulty return on their behalf and I am considered no longer a paying customer. I would highly never recommend this company to anyone and warn you to stay far away,

Liberty Tax 809 Berry St. Fort Worth, Tx - I got my taxes done 2 weeks ago thinking I would get it back and they hadn't even submitted it and it still wasn't submitted till today. They're telling I'm still getting charged.

For the past three years I have been going to Liberty Tax and got my tax refund there on Century Blvd., and the one on Manchester Blvd., on La Brea, and they did my taxes and got it in the mail in no time. The customer services was great. I had no problems because it was closed to the neighborhood. They would call me to check and see if I got my tax refund but you have to go and pick it up or have a bank account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Tax Service?

This was our (me and my husband's) second time back. So, we are one might call returning clients or customers. We had a very simple return. They charged us almost 300.00 and then to make us feel a little better about it, handed us a 50.00 bill. The people were nice enough, but never again. We will be doing our taxes ourselves next year. This is not how you treat return customers Liberty Tax... Sorry.

I went to Liberty for the first time to file my 2016 tax returns. It was then when I seen a problem but with me not knowing everything I need to know I went ahead and filed them anyway. This year I didn't get as much back as I did last year. This year I was only getting $500. They took 400 of that they need to go out of business because they are not doing a good job. I mean seriously $400 when I'm only getting back 5.

I went Liberty Tax in Stillwater, OK. I went here to just get an estimate on how much they would charge and after she entered my information I was told how much and she you will have it in 24 hours. I thought of "great. I don't have to wait long like I would with TurboTax." I even asked the lady what about them saying no refunds till the 15th. She said "no just 24 hours." I said "ok let's do it." So 2 days go by and I went back to check because I haven't heard from them and that's when they told me I had to wait till after the 15th. I said that isn't what the girl told me and all they said was sorry. I said me too. I'm never using them again. I am beyond ticked off.

Oh my goodness Liberty Tax is running a huge scam and I hope they get what they deserve. I've always filed my own taxes for free but needed a loan so I applied for their loan. They told me they would charge me around $250 and that I would not know if approved until after signing to file my taxes with them. First of all, they are falsely advertising NO FEE part of the loan/tax refund advance. There is a fee. It's a $49.99 bank fee. Of course it get charged out of your income tax refund. Second, you MUST file your taxes and sign to pay the tax preparation fee (minimum $250-$500) in order to APPLY for the advance loan. And THIRD liberty tax says the advance is not credit based nor do they know qualification criteria.

Liberty tax is full of LIES. I told them I was only interested in getting my taxes done with them for the advance. They told me the cost I thought the $250 would be okay, turned out I have to pay $450 for the forms they have to use with my tax situation (Head of household, 1 dependent, 1 W-2 - super simple, I've always done myself for free). I agreed because the tax office owner informed me the advance would be submitted for approval, and she said people rarely got denied. She said she only had a couple of people ever get denied. And that I would know within 24 hrs after filing my taxes. And that if I was denied I would get a letter explaining why. And that Liberty Tax has no idea of reason for denial because the decision is not made with credit check.

So after I leave, a couple of hours later I get an email saying I was NOT approved. I couldn't wait for the denial letter to arrive so I could find out on paper why I wasn't approved. What the letter states is the reason for denial: AMOUNT OF TAX CREDITS. And then a paragraph about how they ran a credit check through Hesperian and decision was made in whole or in part through that credit reporting agency. What the world does AMOUNT OF TAX CREDITS mean??? My whole refund is basically the EITC and additional child tax credit. It make no sense whatsoever other than it's a scam and I wish I would have turned around from this awful place. Bad company. Don't do your taxes with them. At least not if you can use TurboTax. Use TurboTax. Hands down way easier and better. Times a million.

I went to have my taxes done at Liberty Tax Service. I have been hedged 562.00 to prepare them for a simple 1040 then I see they taken 49.95 out to transfer my lil money I do get into my bank account. I never paid this much to file then I see that they added all my taxes that I made in New York added to the money I made in KY. They said I owed New York taxes and I never owed. I always got my taxes from New York, all of them. I need to know why.

I've been filing online with Liberty Tax (e smart tax) for 8 years. I have had nothing but problems with them for the last 2 years. You cannot get a person on the phone to talk to you about issues, but can only leave a message and someone from customer chat is supposed to get back to you within 24 hours. They don't call back. I had no issues with my return and contacted customer chat because after 10 days it was still in submitted status. I was told something different each time I contacted them (20 times) and no one knew how to fix the problem from showing and ID to software issues and bugs in my return. It was going to cost me $150 to file my return with them. I stumbled on the website Eztax return and filed the SAME return for $20 with NO issues. I will NEVER go back to their company. What a huge rip off and a waste of my time.

I went to Liberty Tax for the first time last year in Lockport NY... The WORST!! They gave me 50 for being a first time customer which I noticed they charged me on my taxes so never got it FREE!! And then they promised me my refund in a week so I spent my whole check on getting my car fixed depending on my tax check to make up what I spent... Never did I get my tax check till like a month later I tried calling the place and they told me the man who did my taxes was on VACATION... NEVER EVER GO HERE. THEY ARE DISHONEST AND UNPROFESSIONAL. NEVER AGAIN!!

I have used Liberty Tax before while I was attending University, I had no problems. Years later, 2016, I have been unemployed for a while now, and had no money. I brought them a 2013 W-4, and they prepared my taxes. There was all kinds of problems on my part. I had no money to pay them for their services. I had no mailing address. And I am going through a divorce. They prepared my taxes anyway and for free. They took the time and effort to sort my nonsense out. Now I will be getting a $500 refund from three years ago delivered to the Mesa County Health Department. May GOD bless the folks at Liberty Tax located in Clifton, CO.

I'm at the END of MY ROPE with this. Liberty and J.P. Morgan Bank is a joke. The Tax Preparer sent my return to another customer’s account. The bank is suppose to reject the deposit and return it to the IRS. Well that didn’t happen. The bank accepted the refund the customer spent it thinking it was his 2nd refund. I've been dealing with this from March 7, 2016 until now. I called the IRS and they traced it to: Name and SSN Do Not Match, Funds Not Available, To Return as of 04/12/16 (a wrong account per Chase Bank). IRS Case Close. The bank says “Here's the customer name, address and phone number.” The customer said “I don't have it. I'll give you my amended tax return.” That was 8/20/16. I'm still waiting.

The tax person calls after me or my husband call her. She returns our call with “It's still pending. I'm going to the IRS office and see what's going on and I'm going to call you back.” Guess what. I'm still waiting!!! I NEED SOME LEGAL HELP ON THIS. I called Chase Bank Executive Customer Service in June until Aug 2016. They said they will not lose money. I would have to go after the customer. No help. HELP HELP HELP.

Went to Liberty Tax on 7061 Clairemont Dr. San Diego and the girl that did my taxes had no idea how to put in my write-offs and put me under the wrong status. Now I have not only not gotten my tax refund I have no idea if I will hear from the IRS? They had the balls to charge me $550 from my $800 dollar refund that I have not received and now JTH Financial is sending me letters! Does anyone want to take these guys to court? Do not go to this company!

It was easy during tax season to get an appointment, but during non-tax season... forget it. I tried on 3 separate occasions to make an appointment and no one called me back or contacted me to confirm, and when I tried to call the office I got an answering machine stating that they were open the day I called 11 am-3. I called at 1045 am and left a message, and still I received no follow up call. The whole reason that I needed to make an appointment was because I received a letter at the end of August stating that I needed to file local tax. Despite what the tax rep from liberty said in April. (He informed me that it was 'my choice' to file local tax.) Needless to say after extreme frustration I made an appointment with another tax company to fix their mistake. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND LIBERTY TAX TO ANYONE! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! NEVER AGAIN!!!

My husband and I had our taxes prepared at the W. 27th Street, Cleveland, Ohio location in April 2016. The preparer seemed very nice and after we gave her all the information needed, she told us we could come back the next day and pick up at certain hours. The next day I returned at the time I was told to and the place was closed. I sat in the car for a while in case she would come back as she stated they would be there until 9:00 p.m. and it was 6:30 p.m. when I arrived. After waiting a while, no one appeared. I live 45 minutes away and totally wasted my time coming back to Cleveland. The next day we returned and there were 2 different people there not the one that took our information. The lady checked and our returns were not completely done. We waited while she completed them.

In June, 2016, we receive a letter from RITA rep. stating that Liberty Mutual did not send our W-2 Forms to them and they needed a copy asap. I could not believe it! I went, made copies and did send the necessary forms. Now here it is August, 2016, and I receive another letter from Rita stating that there were errors in the filing and corrections needed to be made and it looks like we overpaid on taxes due. We will never have our taxes prepared by this company again! They are not responsible and do not know what they are doing. They have a lack of concern for others and the time they have people waste. I cannot believe that with the complaints that people give about them that they are still in business!

I hired Liberty Tax Service in Jacksonville Florida. My tax return was done from my computer. I submitted my information. After waiting a month with no emails or phone calls I contacted them. I was told my return had been flagged by their company for a random check. My return would not be submitted until I verified the information I had already given them. I was told they do not email or call when it is flagged. They wait until you contact them. I was never told flagging was a possibility or that once you give them the info they will not follow up with you.

I do not trust this company at all. They had no problem taking the money for the service and that after you do that they don't care after that. I will make sure to pass this information on to any person or friend I know. I Manage a restaurant so I contact with at least 300 ppl a day, I will let everyone know if our conversation steers that way. This company's policy is a total sham. DO NOT EXPECT real service from them.

Liberty Tax is the worst. Took them a month to prepare a fairly simple return I used to do myself. When I tried to get a copy of the return they kept telling me their printer did not work or they did not have printer cartridges. It took 3 weeks for me to get my paper copy documentation back day of tax day. I wait a month for my return... NOTHING! Check the IRS website and they cannot find my return. Go back to that office and find out THEY NEVER FILED IT ELECTRONICALLY. We signed all paperwork and paid them their fee. They had no clue what happened. Still cannot get my money back for paying them to submit even though they have a 100% guarantee. The local office said the "Corporate" office give refunds. Called the "Headquarters" number and they said they do not release the "Corporate" number and the local office gives the refunds... WHOLE OPERATION A JOKE - BEWARE.

I have used Liberty Tax for a long time. My returns were always accurate and easy... So I referred 2 people this year in the hopes that I would get the nice $200 referral bonus ($200 goes a long way when you have 2 kids and one income). I waited patiently for them to contact me, and after a few weeks of waiting I went in to the store to find out what the process is for getting the bonus as advertised. I was told ''the bookkeeper has to approve all referrals and it should be ready in a week." Well a week came and went. I went back in to speak to them again (different person) "the bookkeeper has to approve all referrals and it should be ready in a week." This was the response from ANYONE I spoke to.

Today is May 24th... I referred BOTH people in the first week of Feb. I called the home office and their response was "I'm sorry, but all locations are franchises. I will send them a notice to call you and sort this out. If they are telling you that they are working on it, I would just wait because I am sure that they will be getting back to you asap." I asked the woman on the phone "So, you want me to talk to them at the office I have been speaking to this whole time? It has gotten me no where and that is why I am calling you." "Sorry sir, the only thing I can do is ask them to call you to sort this out. There is nothing I can do on my end." Still no call from my office...

To me, this amounts to false advertising, and bad business. Don't trust these people with your information. If they are charging almost 600 to do a tax return per person, they can afford to pay out the referrals that they give you the coupons to give your friends. My fiancee is also battling with them now for being double charged, and still not receiving her return. I feel bad cause I told her to use these scam artists.

Had my taxes prepared in Brunswick Maine at the never open Liberty Tax Service on Pleasant Street. They prepared the taxes, took my check for $342 and I never heard from them again. The preparer would never either answer his phone of return my calls. His voice mail became inactive. I called my credit union put a stop payment on the check as I slowly became aware that I was being scammed by this business. DO NOT do business with these people. They are scammers. If you see a dancing statue of liberty by the side of the road, push down on your accelerator and keep going.

I had been with Tax Brain for about 7 years and absolutely loved their customer service and ease of use. I got my refund every year in the time stated and never had an issue. This year 2015 Tax Brain I guess was bought out by Liberty and the navigation through the screens was not user friendly at all. I think I was on the phone trying to get clarification more times this year than all of my 7 previous years. When I finally got done the state wasn't ready yet so I had to wait until they accepted the returns. I went back, submitted the returns and waited patiently for about 4 weeks. Went back to the state site and my refund was never received. Went back to Liberty to find out they rejected it as random security check.

So far they have rejected it twice for the same reason and are holding up my 1400 + refund from getting into my back account. The customer service people are not interested, like I'm bothering them for calling or they need to call me back or they are just plain rude. This is the last time I will ever do business with Liberty or any of their affiliates. Wish I could give negative ratings.

My experience was amazing. First of all to those of you who says its bad or there is hidden fees there is a $44.95 service fee if you have your refund taken out of your tax return. If extra money was taken out of the money you were suppose to get back then the IRS did that because Libertys home office handles the bank and money end of all of it. If you had to go back because of signature issues it could be that the name you wrote on your data sheet isnt whats on your social security card and sometimes theres technical difficulties and sometimes people have bad days. Everyone was friendly and was accepting to everything I had and listened to me. Not all of the locations are the same. Its a franchise so theres different owners and guidelines. I loved filing with Liberty and will be back to file with them again. P.S. All Liberty tax preparers are put through a tax class and are certified to do your taxes. Most people in other companies are not.

This has been my first time filing taxes in 7 years so I thought I'd give Liberty Tax my service cause it was close to my residence. Their service was ridiculous!! The people who wear the signs outside kept running in and out the store. They were standing in front of the building smoking cigarettes and marijuana. They had people who didn't work there or even filing taxes sit around and just chill. I filed my taxes with them February 3, 2016. I haven't heard anything yet and it is now April 5, 2016. I really regret going to them and I will never be serviced there again!

I was double charged for my tax preparation. I was suppose to get back 1000 dollars when I got my check it was 200 dollars. Liberty is ripping off taxpayers. Don't go to them, they are dishonest.

The first appointment was cancelled because the preparer had only been doing taxes for a year and looked at my forms like a deer in headlights, not knowing how to do them. I made another appointment with a more seasoned preparer, but they must not have told her she had a customer because she wasn't going to be there until later that afternoon. They have a severe communication and organization problem, and that's why I will never go back to them.

I only got back 3279 and the preparer charged me 738 plus 49.95 I believe for a paper check to be picked up in the office which I requested direct deposit... I was asked did I have health insurance 2015 I said yes. And instead of her asking what type, she assumed I was through the Healthcare market which now have my taxes on hold and I filed February 1... NEVER WILL I USE THEM EVER AGAIN AND I DON'T RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYBODY.

After filing, was billed almost $700 because of the numerous forms involved. Taxes were not ready as promised... Had to make another trip to pick them up. To add insult to injury, the company ran my debit card twice! I protested and was promised it would be "taken care" of. Right! Another trip to their office. The clerk called her boss who (most likely) said, "Tell him it was mailed on Friday..." I told the clerk that I didn't believe that. She got real defensive and told me to take my complaint elsewhere. After 2 weeks, no refund for overpayment. I filed a dispute with my credit union.

I was charged 490.00 dollars to get back 680.00. Had to go back 3 times on the same day because the girl there kept making mistakes. It took her and myself with time almost 5 hours to get my tax paperwork correct. I was told that they were not giving the 50.00 dollar card away anymore, but the commercial on T.V. kept saying to come in for a 50.00 dollar gift card. I will never ever go back again. NEVER! Bad experience, too much time consuming and the lack of experience sucks. I will not recommend anyone to this place, if anything whenever I hear someone is going to go to Liberty Tax I tell them not to and explain what happened to me. Ripoff, scam and utter thieves.

My daughter decided to give Liberty Tax a try. She went to the Palmdale Blvd location here in California. She was told that someone had used her name fraudulently and that the long form would have to be filed with the IRS. She waited the 6 weeks like they told her to. My husband went into the place with her and someone told her that it wouldn't be extra for them to file. They had already taken more than half of her check in fees. Today she called to see if her check had arrived (it did). They told her that in order to get $180.00 she would have to give them $380.00 in fees. WTH??? We will be reporting them to the franchise tax board and to the BBB.

Liberty Tax Service Company Profile