Liberty Tax Service

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

While having my taxes done there last year, the lady who did them made a mistake that was caught by another. It cost 350 to have them done but it was my first year filing after having been divorced and had withdrawn some money from my IRA so I wasn't confident doing them myself. Last week I get a notice from the IRS saying that I owe just under 20,000!!! I am LIVID and as I now see, screwed. Their website says that if there is an error they'll pay the taxes and fees associated but not the amount that they erred. I could have screwed it up myself for free! DO NOT TRUST LIBERTY! 20,000!!!

Have used Liberty for years. This year I took the in and when we went to sign she said 600.00. I have never paid more than 350.00 for their services. She said the was a change in ownership and this is why the increase. Never go back to them. I will use H&R Block which is just down the street.

I filed my taxes in Denton Tx and for the few years I filed with them never had problems until this year. The first time we went there in February this year they did our taxes but messed them up completely but we didn't even know for a month. They never even called us. After us calling them over and over we finally got someone on the line and that is how we found out. We then went back to their office and sat there 3 hours until finally they called us back. They supposedly fixed them and showed us everything on the screen including their fees. We finally found out when our return would be deposited and it never was deposited.

Again we called them over and over. Finally getting to talk to someone after 2 weeks of calling and they tell us they kept the rest of our money because we owed them. This place is a fraud and has happened to several people out of this office. What they tell you about your refund and what will be deposited in your bank account is lie. They steal your money and something needs to be done about them. Liberty Tax is horrible.

I filed my tax return in Elizabeth City, NC today because I usually wait to the last minute! I walked in and Mr. ** playfully told me and another woman (with toddler) that we should not have waited so late. I did not take well to this bs of a joke and said "I came last year around this time"... "but wait didn't you get paid etc"; as he continued to work with another couple and the other lady was ahead of me, Tiffany his flunky began to work on my taxes. She had to ask him if it was alright for almost everything? Come on, if you know taxes you do them. When it came time to pay it was $400.00 but he brought it down to $225. I should not have been charged that much for a simple W-2 form. I have no properties or other claims! Rip-offs!!!

DON'T ever use Liberty Tax. My daughter went to them to get her taxes done (1040EZ). They charged her $239.95. Pure thievery. She has never had to do this, therefore had no idea. They are taking advantage of young people and do not explain anything. They claim their tax prep fee is $50.00 then there are all these additional fees. I went into the corporate office in Columbia SC to find out why they thought this was ok to charge a young person this astronomic amount of money. The General Manager threw me out of the building. How professional is this. Obviously they just prefer not to acknowledge their fees up front. If you want to have your money stolen from under your eyes this is the company to go to. A normal CPA would charge approximately $50.00 for a 1040EZ and these people aren't even licensed CPA'S. DON'T AND I REPEAT DON'T GO HERE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Tax Service?

Just left Liberty Tax Service in tears. My son and I went to get our taxes done. They did his first since he only had one W-2 and charged $399.00! I could not have mine done because I did not work last year, due to medical issues no income coming in but I own my home and have a 401k and medical expenses. My tax prep would have cost more than my son's. Now I have to try to do my taxes myself. Woman who prepared my son's taxes said they go up 10% every year. Well they just lost us as clients.

I made an appointment a week in advance. When I arrived for my appointment, the building was locked. I called them and was told someone would be there in 15min. I gave up after waiting half an hour. So they can TAKE appointments, they just can't KEEP appointments, which really is the most important part.

I had my taxes prepared at Liberty Tax on 4-8-2017 and was absolutely shocked the fee they charge. After my taxes were sent, I am given a bill of $600.00. I filed a simple return and itemized a standard sheet, typical property tax, covered California, mortgage interest. Never ever go back...

Went to Liberty Tax with the simplest tax and they charged me 133.00 to enter 5 things on a tax form. This is a rip off scam and I won't be back. Didn't even get my tax paperwork yet. Still have to make a trip back when they call. What kind of business is this. Seem like IRS would get involved or better business.

Okay, so first of all, they ain't even had no type of candy anywhere or WATER. Like I Sat there with cotton mouth, dry as a mother ** after smoking a blunt and all they got was cold coffee. ** that. Secondly, they misspelled my name (which I think they had purposely done) so my bank had to return my refund back to those fat **, so I had to wait even longer! I was suppose to get back over $800, dude told me that after deductions, I'm get back $500 something. So anyway since my bank had to send it back, fat Albert wrote me a check instead saying that I'm ** getting back $400. I'm guessing they charged me extra because of their mistake or charged me because stupid ** lied to me. Either that or they just hate people and like to butt ** our lives.

Point is my fellow people of the united States of America, Liberty Tax is the WORST PLACE EVER and they named themselves"Liberty" Tax because they take however much money they feel like taking from is knowing that we are Americans struggling to live in this cruel world just so they could probably use our extra cash to pay for them stupid ass dancers they make stand out in the streets regardless of weather conditions. Tornado, hail, volcanoes or dinosaurs. You get it people. They DO NOT care about a single one of us and only care about stealing and being lazy fat **. I am NEVER going back to them again and I hope that karma kills them. On the real. I hope every one of them gets dragged into hell and is forced to suck ** for eternity with Liberty and justice for not a god damn soul.

I usually file taxes with them but somehow this year I never received my state taxes and they charged me 200 dollars to file but they told me I was being charged 100.00 and when I received my taxes they charged me 200.00. I hate them. I will never file with them again nor will I refer anyone else to them. They are under investigation for stealing taxpayers money...

I recently went to go pick up my refund check of $72 when I was told $265. Liberty already took my $203 in state for fees, come to find out my earned income of $263 was being taken too. All but $72. They claimed the cost of the forms sent in had been the reason but they could not tell me how much those forms cost me and the fake manager said she had no way of finding out. Someone called claiming to be a district manager (which I found out was not) and told me they will not refund me or resolve my issue. I'm pissed and on a mission.

What a ridiculous setup. I was trying to use the one in Florence, KY. I had an appointment. There was one person there working. We never even got past the initial entry information into the system because she kept getting up to answer the phone across the room and for any other people who came in needing documents. She told me that per regulations she had to. So basically if the phone kept ringing we would be there for hours. Then she asked me what the number for EIC or ENC was on the form. You know, the whole point of me bringing in the full and complete stock sheets from Vanguard and Scottrade was to let someone else figure out the aggravation. She told me I should call them and gather whatever number she was looking for.

I left the office after she then went to answer the phone again. I drove a block down to H and R Block and they got me in and didn't ask me what numbers meant and wrapped it up with the refund in about a half hour. And no I'm not an H and R Block troll - they were a block away and fast and competent and had someone at the front desk to answer the phone. And sure maybe I paid an extra 60 dollars for the service and it was well worth it vs what was going to be a catastrophic mess of me doing their job at Liberty Tax while they ignored my time to take care of other customers after I went to the trouble of setting up an appointment in advance.

I went to Liberty Tax this year and I regrettably had to go back in the office 4xs to have them fix computer issues on their end because my taxes kept getting kicked back. Then I was told I would get 2694 back. Finally IRS app shows taxes were sent to me. I look at my account and there was only 1815. Liberty tax charged me 879. I'm so pissed. That is outrageous and I'm not letting it go. I'm going to do whatever I can to keep fighting their blatant robbery of their customers.

Mohammad ** is a Fraud, his whole crew are nasty and will make mistakes on your tax return. He says one price before the tax return and after half done will give you different amount to bring in cash. I was charged $1500 for doing 2 w2 tax return. When I paid him cash $500, he held my file for a month and then said bring another $1000 or else I have you and your wife's info which I can sell them to with lots of money. Immediately, I did my tax return somewhere else and I promised myself that I won't go back to his office or never in Liberty Tax return. Selling my info? He is a disgusting person in real life, always act like he is cooking something. I complained to SEC, IRS, all Credit companies and also complained to Liberty tax return. I am very upset with his behavior and I think FBI should put him jail.

Unfortunately we chose this place to file our taxes and I'm sharing my experience to hopefully warn others of fees that may not be disclosed to them and possibly save them time because they are slow. The beginning of the experience was nice, the lady that prepared our taxes was unfortunately not forthcoming with all the costs of filing with Liberty Tax. They explain what "they" will charge, but she never disclosed there would be additional fees from what I've been told now, is by another bank. After explaining to the manager how I felt that I had been tricked into doing my taxes there, I would have not paid that high of a price to file my taxes. He was so rude and obviously lied to the owner about our conversation because the owner told me there was no way I was going to bully him into returning my $49.95 processing fee that I was NEVER informed that I would be paying and it was taken out of my refund.

They don't have your paperwork ready right away, in my opinion so they can cover up this hidden fee even longer. Maybe by the time you get your refund, you'll just forget about it. I doubt they have many repeat customers. I have no problem paying the high cost of convenience if I choose to do so but Liberty Tax should be upfront about everything that's deducted from the refund, not just disclose their fees. H&R Block was busy and booked for 3 days and not a single person in this place should have been my first clue. I would NEVER RECOMMEND the Waxahachie location.

After we were finished with our tax preparation, they then said we'd have to come back days later for our paperwork, and it wasn't even ready when they said it would be. Another reason I won't return here, even if the fee was not taken or it was disclosed in the beginning, I've never had to wait days for my paperwork with anyone. H&R Block and other places I've filed always gave it to us after we were done on the first and only visit of the year. Then above all that, the manager that never saw my identification gave me my paperwork on the THIRD visit. It wasn't ready when they said it would be, then when they said it was ready, I had reasons I couldn't pick it up and asked if they'd mail it. They refused to mail it and so when I went to get it the 2nd visit, the manager said it had already been picked up.

That had concerned me because my husband nor I had picked it up. Then he said he'd call me when he would get it ready again. I seriously couldn't just leave with it then, it was over a month since we'd filed! He did call & say he located the file and it was ready to be picked up FINALLY. I went in and he didn't even ask for any identification and just turned over my very confidential information, luckily to myself.

I 100% feel I've been cheated, and I don't care who benefited from that processing fee, and I believe the owner should had done the right thing and refunded it out of his profit because it was his preparer that didn't tell me about the fee. He doesn't agree with that and that plus the fact they have to dress someone up in a costume to attract business during tax season is pretty indicative of how good of a businessman he is. BEWARE OF HIDDEN FEES. You don't sign paperwork, you sign with a stylist before you can even read what you sign. I feel that should be against the law. Whatever happened to reading what you're signing?

Well one, they charge way too much to do 15 minutes of work. One of my checks was sent to them on Feb. 9th. They kept it. Charged me 49.95 to take money from me on top of the 195.00 and the 105.00. Joke.

I went to Liberty Tax in Marysville Ohio to file return. Told them I have 3 dependents which is my girlfriend's kids and they filed it as my own kids so now I'm waiting on the IRS to see what they're gonna do. I can get in trouble for this when I didn't do it. I know nothing about filing taxes that's why I go to a tax preparation place so they do what they want. Told me my return was 10097 and charged me 560 to file and I got 2400 back cause the rest is froze by IRS cause they're not my kids so never go to Liberty Tax.

So I filed my tax with Liberty Mutual on the 3rd of February 2017. I tried to get a advanced refund so I could have enough money to attend my grandfather funeral back home. I got approved. The man "ROBERT" who did my paperwork said they'd charge $500 and something to do it and if I don't get it on the 15th I would on the 18th and today is the 1st of March. My status is still showing my application is still being processed. I called the people that did it. They say they have no control over how long they'll take to send it. They are the worst customer satisfaction time phase lying to get people to file with them and can't give account when the 21 days has passed. I'll never do it with them again...

I used Liberty Tax Service in Brighton CO for the first time this year and it's been nothing but a hassle. The "forget" to inform you of all the rules and stipulations about easy advance they offer. They overcharge for their services. They forget to file everything necessary with the state tax authorities. They change your refund method from electronic to paper check (with the full knowledge you are moving, knowing full well the state will not forward a check). Their level of negligence and incompetence approaches criminal acts. I will never use this service again, totally not worth the wasted time and money.

For first time used them for taxes. Filing was fine until I paid fee and submitted. Now I have no access to my account using the login I opened with along with verification of email from them. What crap is this? Now I have to send email, answer security questions which were never asked of me from the website. Why have security questions set up if no use until you have a problem and have to handle with back and forth emails and hours of waiting time. Never again.

I have used Liberty Tax for at least 8 years and had never had a problem UNTIL this year when I moved to another state and had to choose a new location (SHELBYVILLE KENTUCKY) to prepare my taxes. I have NEVER paid over $200 to have my taxes prepared with Liberty and was shocked when I was told I would be charged $471 TOTAL to have them prepared this year. I was informed it was because I had purchased a home this year and moved, which meant I had state taxes for two states. I wasn't happy about this price but thought maybe it did make that big of a difference so I allowed them to continue. I have since done my research and KNOW this price was ripping me off!!! While preparing my taxes the lady doing them had to call for her manager on different occasions as she did not know what to do. I was told that the $471 would be taken out of my federal return.

Well... I received notification that my Indiana tax return had been deposited in my bank account on the 15th of Feb. Although my bank had no record of this, I had to wait 14 days to contact the IN. IRS which I did today to be told to contact Liberty Tax. I asked why and the IRS rep stated Liberty was doing a lot of people wrong. I then called Liberty Tax only to be told they didn't have time to talk to me, she didn't have my check, didn't know where my money was and she would call me back when she figured it out. So I then called the toll free Liberty Tax number to be told that the SHELBYVILLE KY location had charged me $471 PLUS an additional $49.95 processing fee!!! She further explained that my entire state tax refund was taken by them, and the rest was taken out of my federal return. This was never mentioned! The ENTIRE cost was to be $471 which was EXTREMELY high to pay anyway.

I was furious by now so I called corporate to file a complaint, which they filed and stated I should hear something back in 24 hours or if I don't then I need to call corporate back and they will take other measures. This is a real crappy way to do a customer of 8+ years. Plain and simple they took advantage of my lack of knowledge where tax preparation is concerned and when questioned they knew how to cover it up. Hope they enjoyed my 8+ years of business, as I will NEVER be back. And I plan on following up with corporate daily until some type of resolution is agreed upon. If anyone would like to call corporate, please call 1-800-790-3863, ask for a customer service rep and tell them you want to file a formal complaint. They will document your statement, forward it to the office that prepared your return and give them 24 hrs to respond to you and in closing give you a reference number.

Updated on 3/29/2017: After contacting corporate, Jill from Liberty contacted me offering me a 30% discount off NEXT year's tax services, which I most certainly declined informing Jill I had no intentions of ever returning to Liberty Tax. Jill was very abrasive asking me what it would take to resolve this issue with me. I told her the only resolution would be a monetary one for ripping me off, overcharging me and lying. She ended the conversation stating she would get with the Franchise and see what could be done, then would get back with me. So... three weeks later I never heard back from Jill so I called corporate again, which was yesterday. I explained how the conversation with Jill how had went and that I never heard back from Jill.

Today I heard back from Jill as I had called corporate yesterday, I recognized the number and let it go to voicemail so I would have her reply on tape. Jill was extremely unprofessional on the phone, stating that she needed to make me aware of this and inform me of that and basically I shouldn't be calling corporate! She also stated she was sticking with her 30% offer for NEXT year and that I had been charged only $336.00 for my tax preparation this and with the discount next year it would be $100 less. I am not sure where Jill got this $336 from but I was charged $471.00 AND and additional $49.95, not $336.00.

After listening to her uneducated call I called corporate and let them know what Jill had said, they stated she had called them to let them know her resolution but made no mention of the nasty details of her call. I told corporate I would be happy to forward them my voicemail Jill left if they would like to see how their employees behave. I continued to decline the 30% telling corporate I would never come back to them and I would inform as many people as I could how shady this franchise is. I am still shaking my head but after reading other complaints, it seems as though this is a pattern with Liberty Tax.

My first experience with Liberty Tax was on Feb 14, 2017. I went to file using this company on 67th avenue and Indian school. First we got there my fiance and I and we sat down. They were polite at first. Well first off my fiance was offered a beer in the office and not only that I was charged 535.00 for them to do my taxes and then another 100.00 dollars for my state refund. I am head of household and 2 dependents. I will not discuss my return amount but I have not ever been charged twice or for even that much money. I will not recommend this company for anything and I will not use Liberty Tax again or even look their way. I made a call today to the place I went and the supervisor was rude and had a messed up attitude... I feel like I am being ripped the ** off. Ugh. Just ridiculous.

I have been going to Liberty Tax for about 5 years. The service is good. They are very friendly and helpful. And they give you $50 cash for letting them do your taxes. But every year it costs more. This year it cost me 597.00 to get my taxes done and an anticipation loan. I feel I'm being overcharged. Can someone help me? If I am being overcharged. How do I get my money back?

I thought that Liberty Tax would be cheap because it is a walk-in place. I asked how much it would cost, and they told me that it would depend. I should have run then, but I went ahead and had them do my taxes. It took the guy over two hours for my tax preparation, and then he wanted to charge me $500! I got up to leave, and they lowered the amount. I did not feel that they were trustworthy or competent. I do NOT recommend them.

Had problems getting tax filed correctly. Inexperienced employees. Was told the fee was $95.00. To be taken from the refund. Asked for direct deposit. Refund was minus $149.95, instead of 95. Was told their bank charges 49.95 for deposit. I asked why I wasn't told of this or a copy of this agreement. Was told their printer wasn't working. Was told if I had paid upfront I could have saved 49.95. Wasn't told any of this.

I had my taxes done but I had an issue with my status. To make a long story short, the lady that helped me Coleta I think her name was lied about receiving my file, lied about who could help me, lied about who I could call, and lied about how long it would take to fix it. I ended catching her in her lies. After I get my refund I am filing a complaint with their corporate office. I would do it sooner but I worry she might try to mess with me again. NEVER GO THERE!!!

First & last time customer with Liberty Tax, $525 to prepare my taxes. They got me the least back from all prior years & charge a lot more! I will not recommend this place to anyone for any of services they provide, they reach you $50 & act as though that's a big amount, which in reality they are sneaky & getting that $50 back & then some! This place needs to be shut down! It was all less than an hour worth of work at that!!!

Liberty Tax was very rude when went to prepare my tax. They did not contact me when my refund did arrive. They charge a total of $555.00 just to enter some numbers in the system. They have been committing fraud.

I have filed with Liberty Taxes since 2012. My experience has not been like everyone else's. Yes, they are not cheap, but they will get you to highest refund. I have always been approved for the advance, but I never took more than $750.00. This time I only advance $500.00 off my refund. They really do not know if a person will get approved or not. The only person who will know whether or not they get approved for the advance is the applicant. If you are approved, the money will be in your bank account by the next business day. Literally, if you applied for it on Monday, it should be there on Tuesday, no later than Wednesday.

In regards to getting my refund, I never, ever had a problem except when I forgot to file with that Health form from the Market Place. That was not their fault. It was mine, so this year I made sure I had all of my forms with me. I believe you get what you pay for in life. The only con I have is the $49.99 fee charged for them doing an electronic transfer of my money. I may not agree with that, but everything else is cool.

Liberty Tax Service Company Profile