Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Liberty Tax Service is a tax preparation and filing company with more than 3,000 offices across the U.S. and Canada. Liberty Tax Service helps consumers file and prepare their taxes and promises maximum refunds.

BOTTOM LINE

Liberty Tax Service is a tax prep and filing franchise that offers tax services online and in stores across North America. The company works to give consumers accurate information so they can receive maximum refunds.

PROS

• Get up to $50 for filing
  • Maximum refund promise
  • Available in all 50 states and Canada

CONS

• Independently operated franchises

Top Liberty Tax Service Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Tax Service?

My wife and I are in our mid-eighties and were recently married. We filed a very complicated tax return at the Peoria, AZ office. Randi the tax preparer was very patient working with us on our first joint federal return and two state returns. The Liberty software was up to the challenge.

I had the best experience at Liberty Tax in Tyler, Tx at the Beckham location. I highly recommend going here. I went to a different location first and actually left there due to the sluggishness of the preparers.

What is Liberty Tax Service?

Liberty Tax Service performs a range of tax-related services in stores and online, including:

• Personal tax preparation and filing
  • Business tax preparation and filing
  • Online preparation and filing assistance

If you’re interested in working with Liberty Tax, visit its website to begin filing online or find a franchise location near you. Filing your taxes online with Liberty Tax takes as few as 15 minutes and gives you access to the company's 360-degree customer support and 100% accuracy guarantee. If there’s a mistake on your returns or you don’t get the maximum available refund, Liberty Tax refunds its preparation fees and reimburses you for any penalty costs.

If you’ve already had your taxes done by another tax service company but are concerned about accuracy, take advantage of Liberty Tax Service’s free double-check. Its tax specialists can look over your taxes for free to make sure there aren’t any errors.

How much does Liberty Tax charge?

Liberty Tax Service has three levels of online tax filing and preparation:

• Basic ($44.95 plus $39.95 per state return): This plan is a good choice for single filers or married couples with no dependents.
  • Deluxe ($64.95 plus $34.95 per state return): This plan is ideal for people with dependents or investments.
  • Premium ($89.95 plus $34.95 per state return): This plan is best for those who are self-employed or earn less common forms of income.

Visit your local Liberty Tax Service branch for more information on in-store filing and preparation costs. Depending on where you live and your tax situation, Liberty Tax may have special offers available.

Liberty Tax Service FAQ

Is Liberty Tax available near me?
Liberty Tax Services is available in all 50 states and has more than 3,000 locations in the U.S. and Canada.
How much does it cost to get your taxes done at Liberty Tax?
Liberty Tax offers three plan levels at different costs. The Basic plan is $44.95, the Deluxe plan is $64.95 and the Premium plan is $89.95. The company charges additional fees to file state tax returns.
Does Liberty Tax do tax loans?
Yes, Liberty Tax offers Easy Advance loans that function like a tax loan and cash advance. You can apply for the company's Easy Advance loan in four simple steps on its website:
  1. Choose your filing status.
  2. Add your personal information.
  3. Add your estimated tax return.
  4. Verify your information.
If approved, you could be eligible for a loan ranging from $500 to $6,250.
What bank does Liberty Tax Service use?
Liberty Tax Service uses Netspend, a registered agent of Republic Bank & Trust Company, to issue funds.

Is Liberty Tax good?

Liberty Tax Service is available in every state and makes online tax filing simple. The company's free double-check service is popular with many customers who want to ensure they receive the maximum refund for which they're eligible. Make sure you review its plans to see which one best fits your tax filing needs and visit its website to confirm that its services are right for you.

Liberty Tax Service Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Tax Service?

Original review: March 26, 2020

I hope that they fill right for me. It was the first time that I let some else fill my income tax return. I hope that I will win the reward so I can pay my tax. It was very stress to see that I paid Uncle Sam.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Help is great, price is way too high. I have three homes and I been paying $350 for the past three years but was very surprised how much they charged me this year - more than $150 more than last year. I will not go back next year. I was very upset on the new price.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I would like the world to know how nice and helpful my tax preparer and the rest of the staff at the Riverview location are. The staff there are very kid friendly. They also had popcorn and drinks for myself and the children after having an already long day. This is the first time I have ever been to do my taxes.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

I used Liberty Tax last year & they were awesome. I came back again this year & they remembered me, offered refreshments and took care of business. My son was with me and they had toys for him to play with & were so very patient.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Original review: July 16, 2020

A pure rip off! I was charged $299.50 for a simple return to be filled out! I'm widowed and struggling like many Americans right now, and this is a disgrace! Better yet, this is pure price gauging! Will report to BBB!

Original review: July 15, 2020

2019 Taxes given to New Franchise Owner - Joyce ** on about week of January 20, 2020. Having filed my taxes for 2017 & 2018 with previous Owner - John **’s very satisfied. Expressed to Joyce ** my concerns having to leave town for several months - to ensure my short form filing meets April 15th deadline - my purpose for dropping off mid January plenty of time & having previous years on file. It’s been a NIGHTMARE. Very unprofessional working with Joyce ** Owner - communications via email - text in support of unethical practices - comments made by Joyce ** to myself - Age 66 years old on fixed income - leaving area on Medical Emergency - support of Active Duty Service Member. Joyce Jordan was contacted by Office of Attorney General having to file a complaint now aware of the undue stress - delays - unprofessional comments to me. Had no other choice.

July 2020 still with filing my complaint Joyce ** continue to harass me - taunt me having my taxes - no intention of helping me a- lied about filing another extension putting me in further harm's way. As a Whistleblower- Reprisal still being haunted - Consumers - Aged Seniors individuals on fixed income should Not Be Taken Advantage of or Exploited Financially as Joyce ** as agreed by previous owner & Joyce ** was to refund me back $285.00 for 2018 taxes - Joyce Jordan had all my Banking info, etc., it took me to complain to previous owner weeks later to get my refund. It’s been a nightmare - I will NEVER use Liberty Taxes again nor recommend to anyone.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Submitted everything to Liberty Tax for filing. I had to call them to get info. They state I have to come in and sign with refund from Federal/State, then say to me to hold on and will have to call back, never did so I called again. This time I owed a lot of money to fed/State, then same thing again, would have to review. 3rd time I'm getting back refund from Federal less than 1st time but still owe the State. 4th time review again, no callback. I call them 10 am and she tells me she's close to finishing, will call back shortly, so at 5 pm she calls and tells me same story, come in and sign all done but nothing has changed. I'm so frustrated with this company. They had all my paperwork for months, they also tell me the person who was originally preparing my taxes is no longer with the company. Now I'm left trying to find someone to do my taxes by the deadline tomorrow the 15th. This company should not be in business!

Original review: July 8, 2020

The person who did our preparation miscalculated by not taking the standard deduction for a couple filing jointly. By her itemizing, the standard deduction was canceled, resulting in our owing taxes, when in fact with the standard deduction, we would have been well under the amount to do so.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I went to file taxes. Just moved to the area. Upon arrival at office was sat pretty quickly. When I went to start paper work with the filer I was in front of she continuedly answered the phone to help other filers regardless of me in front of her for about 30 minutes before we even began my paper work. There were three employees in office. Only one seemed to be doing her job. The other filer in office with a client. Was on her phone having a very detailed conversation of someone being arrested and using someone else's name. The client in front of her look more aggravate than I've ever seen anyone. The lady I had filing my taxes couldn't stop swearing Very unprofessional.

Regardless I went about having my taxes filed. I thought everything went pretty smooth besides those encounters. About a week and a half into my taxes being filed I went to check them on the IRS web site and it said my taxes were rejected so I look further into this. The woman who filed my taxes put the wrong social on my forms with more than three proofs of social and me writing it down for her. If this office was more professional people wouldn't have the problems they do. I paid 200 dollars to have to do more work than them.

Liberty Tax Service Company Information