4.8/5 (194 ratings)

About Fortress Tax Relief

Fortress resolves tax debts nationwide for businesses and individuals, including pennies-on-the-dollar settlements, affordable payment plans, and the elimination of penalties. We are the only significant national tax resolution firm where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney. This ensures that our clients repay the least amount of money possible to the government, and that they receive the maximum level of protection against enforced collections, including bank levies, wage garnishments, accounts receivable levies, personal assessments, and unreasonable deadlines or demands. Call us today for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, and be sure to ask about our money back guarantee.

Pros

• Cases handled by tax attorneys
    • Positive reputation
    • Negotiates tax burdens and settlements

Cons

• Must have $15,000+ in tax debt

Bottom Line

Fortress Financial Services solves tax issues for individuals and businesses with $15,000 or more in tax debt. The process may be lengthy, but that's typical with the IRS and Fortress staffs experts in the field while maintaining a positive reputation.

Top Fortress Tax Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I interviewed several tax resolution services. Fortress provided references. My experience with Fortress matched up with the references. [Their attorney] guided me through what wa...

Verified

Fortress did exactly what I wanted them to do for a reasonable price. Sayward was the best person I could have had to navigate me through one of the most stressful periods in my l...

What is Fortress Financial Services?

Fortress Financial Services is a medium-sized tax relief firm helping individuals and businesses resolve tax enforcement issues and liabilities. The company is based in Oregon but operates nationwide with several out-of-state clients. Their licensed attorneys undergo more than 500 hours of training, allowing them to handle each case with the mastery expected from a seasoned professional.

Accreditations: Fortress Financial Services is a member of the National Association of Tax Resolution Companies.”

Fortress Financial Services

Fortress Financial Services offers a number of tax resolution services for the American taxpayer, including tax appeals, innocent spouse tax relief and review of tax transcripts. For complex cases, Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for a more personalized approach.

Services and results they provide include:

Offers in Compromise
    For taxpayers who have difficulty paying the full amount of what they owe or have doubts as to the amount demanded, Fortress Financial Services helps with Offers in Compromise. Offers in Compromise allow taxpayers to settle liabilities for less than the full amount owed. There are three reasons why an American taxpayer may request Offers in Compromise, and Fortress can help you identify the right course of action for your situation.
    1. Doubts as to collectibility: The taxpayer must prove they’re incapable of repaying the full tax debt
    2. Doubt as to liability: The taxpayer demonstrates they’re not responsible for the total amount owed
    3. Effective tax administration: Due to hardship, the taxpayer and IRS come to a final settlement
    Penalty Abatement
    A Penalty Abatement reduces the amount you owe. Before the IRS can grant a Penalty Abatement, there needs to be “reasonable cause,” and Fortress Financial Services can help. With reasonable cause, it’s essential to state the facts as clearly as possible, using the law accurately and providing sound legal arguments.
    Installment Agreements
    With Installment Agreements, taxpayers agree to repay their tax debt in installments. Fortress Financial Services work with taxpayers to negotiate terms that are fair and financially reasonable. Installment Agreements are great for taxpayers who desire to avoid or are on the verge of default. Bank levies, wage levies, accounts receivable levies and, in serious cases, seizure of assets often follow a default.
    Innocent Spouse Tax Relief
    When filing joint taxes, there are times when one spouse may be found innocent of tax liabilities. In these cases, Fortress Financial Services can help spouses who meet the criteria with Innocent Spouse Tax Relief services. To be relieved of liability, individuals must prove they were unaware of the tax discretion. Those who don’t qualify for the Innocent Spouse Tax Relief may be eligible for “Equitable Relief,” wherein the IRS finds holding one of the spouses liable is unfair.
    Tax Appeals
    Fortress Financial Services help clients identify the best method for a Tax Appeal. The two main ways are through the Collection Appeals Program (CAP) and a Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP). If a taxpayer misses the deadline for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP), Fortress Financial Services helps them identify their eligibility for an “Equivalent Hearing.” Tax Appeals are effective for:
    1. Reversing government actions that negatively affect financial stability, such as wage or bank levy
    2. Prevention of IRS enforcement
    3. Coming to a favorable tax liability resolution
    4. Negotiating with the IRS for more favorable terms
    5. Presenting and disputing the amount owed
    6. Reviewing the actions and findings of the IRS
    Creative Tax Relief Solutions
    Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for taxpayers whose cases do not fit into one of these conventional tax strategies. Fortress Financial Services will work with you personally to identify the best plan. This might mean combining a number of different approaches to protect your assets and resolve tax liabilities.
    Business tax relief
    Fortress Financial Services also offers Trust Fund Recovery Penalties. Trust Fund Recovery Penalties are geared towards shareholders, officers, and employees who can be held liable for a company (corporation, LLC, or business entity) that fail to pay specific payroll taxes. These services help protect the assets, wages, and bank accounts of American taxpayers.

In addition to the major services listed above, Fortress Financial Services further personalize services based on an individual’s case. These include:

• Lien Withdrawal/Lien Avoidance
    • Sale of Asset Subject to Tax Lien/Certificate of Discharge
    • Subordination of Tax Lien
    • Tax Account Review/Review of Tax Transcript
    • Adjustment of Tax Liability/Correction of IRS Error
    • Currently Not Collectable Status (CNC)

How does Fortress Financial Services work?

When working with Fortress Financial Services, a licensed attorney specialized in back tax negotiations personally handles your case. The company prides itself on a high level of customer service; for example, as part of their customer service, clients can expect to hear back from employees within two business days. All of their representatives are available by phone, and the company does not use case managers. Any issues with the Fortress Financial Services team should be directed to their president, Stephen K. Galgoczy. If a client experiences the problem more than once after contacting Mr. Galgoczy, the company offers $100 in credit for future services.

Their mission is to help clients protect their assets – including (but not limited to) bank accounts, business assets, wages from garnishments and seizure. They also identify ways for taxpayers to save on their repayments and assist in finding settlements that are less than the required amount.

When dealing with the IRS, the licensed professionals at Fortress Financial Services use their extensive knowledge to help protect American taxpayers and persuade government officials to agree to new terms and liability settlements.

Fortress Financial Services cost and fees

Fortress Financial Services offers a free confidential consultation to discuss tax relief solutions and the assistance they provide. Service agreement starting cost varies and there may be additional fees throughout the process. They offer a full money-back guarantee within 24 hours of the initial attorney consultation.

Do we recommend Fortress Financial Services?

Fortress Financial Services provides American taxpayers with professional and licensed help regarding their tax relief resolutions. The company has a team of highly experienced and knowledgeable specialists, and your case will be handled by a seasoned tax attorney. Although Fortress has a track record of providing clients with favorable results, their fees and service agreements are, at times, unclear to some customers. For anyone dealing with more than $15,000 in tax debt or liabilities and is inexperienced in negotiating with the IRS, Fortress Financial Services can provide personalized and comprehensive tax solutions.

Fortress Tax Relief Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Tax Relief?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

What an awesome experience and a gigantic burden lifted from my back. I have work with Art and Joan *(The dream team) at Fortress twice and they honestly took the time to listen to what was happening, understood all of the facts from my side, and came up with an amazing game plan to fix a major issue I carried for years alone. I am so appreciate to the prompt responses I always received and the guidance when needed. I was skeptical at first because you hear of so many scams out in the world but they quickly put my mind at ease and truly delivered in the end.

Fortress Tax Relief response

In house we refer to our entire team of tax relief attorneys and assistants the All-stars, so your assessment of Art & Joan being a dream team hits close to home. We're so glad to hear that your experience was "awesome." Having a large tax liability is no one's idea of a good time, but you aren't the first to report getting rid of gigantic the burden feels fantastic. Thank you for your business and your thoughtful review!

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Unfortunately I had serious tax issues. A CFO had left me in a bad spot with the IRS. I had no idea what to do. Fortress and David ** was truly awesome to work with. I worked with him for over 10 years until my tax situations for my business and personal taxes were resolved. I had interviewed a few companies before selecting Fortress. Fortress didn't promise me gimmicks or do things that would get me in more trouble. They were professional and at times worked with my accountant. They were able to get a significant amount of my penalties removed as well. I can't say enough about them. I hope you never find yourself with tax problems but if you do you can't be in better hands.

Fortress Tax Relief response

First, it is extremely unusual for us to have a client for 10 years or even 1/3 that amount of time, so your tax situation was definitely quite complicated and likely included a number of new and significant challenges that came up during the course of representation. Your case is a great example of how our A-team of tax relief attorneys won't shy away, won't give up, always continue to fight on behalf of our clients, and can eventually turn a seemingly impossible situation into a beautiful success story. There is a good chance that an average tax relief professional (the kind our competitors favor because they are cheaper to employ) would have failed. Thank you for putting your trust in us and thank you for the kind review!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I owed alot to the IRS after some financial mistakes and was stressed out beyond belief. There was no way I would be able to pay the IRS the full amount. I was worried I would lose my house. Any other assets I had. Luckily I found Fortress Tax Relief- after 1 phone call I could breathe again! They worked with the IRS to get me on a simple and very affordable payment plan. I'm no longer worried at all because of the trust I have with this firm. They do great work- highly recommend giving them a call!

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thank you so much for your business and review! There is a strong correlation between tax debts and stress levels, and you are one of many clients to report that simply having Fortress in your corner immediately reduced your stress. We are so glad that you gave us the opportunity touch your life in such a meaningful way. Getting an affordable monthly payment can be a lot more difficult than one would think, and we're pleased to hear that you are happy with the results. Thank you.

Original review: May 1, 2022

A JOB WELL DONE! There's no better way to describe how happy I am with the services provided by Fortress. Working with David ** and Sayward **, a more responsive team is hard to imagine as they spoke or emailed answers to ALL my questions in more than a timely fashion, delivered a more successful outcome and settlement than I had hoped for. All decisions were made by me after explanation and advice and there was never a written or spoken promise as to what they would deliver. Fortress's experienced staff of lawyers, accountants and paralegals always reinforced my choice of representation. Receiving a letter from the V.P of Fortress stating his availability if needed was comforting but the team I got to work with never needed the help. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. THOMAS and ROSEMARY

Fortress Tax Relief response

We are so glad to hear that our staff hit the marks on all of the things we strive to deliver to every single client: exceptional customer service, honesty, reliability, responsiveness, and an outstanding result. We are truly fortunate to have such a great staff as well as great clients like you. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

When I came to Fortress Financial, I had been told by Optima Tax that "An Offer in Compromise" was not available for me. However, Fortress assured me that I was. My case was immediately taken over by them. When one has any issue with the IRS, you need professional help. After all the IRS has thousands of pages of regulations and if you ask two different IRS agents the same questions, you will receive two different answers. Most of us "common" citizens do not have the time or the experience to deal with them. I would recommend them for they are trustworthy and professional. I was contacted by an attorney assigned for my case many times throughout my ordeal. I recommend Fortress.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thank you for your feedback. You make a great point about the complexities of resolving a tax debt. Just because someone at the IRS tells you something, doesn't mean it's true. We're fortunate to have a staff of attorneys who know the tax collection rules like the back of their hands, and they aren't afraid to stand up to the IRS and state taxing authorities when they aren't giving our clients a fair shake. We're glad to hear how pleased you were with our services and we appreciate your business!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

I was very satisfied with the service I received from Fortress. My attorney, Art **, negotiated a manageable plan for a large tax debt. Throughout, Art and his assistant Joan kept things on track with great communication. This helped make the process very stress free. Highly recommend.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Having a large tax debt is no one's idea of a good time. We're glad we were able to remove the stress from the process for you and get you the results that you needed so that you can move on to better things in life. Thanks for being a great client!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I found myself owing a significant amount of money in back taxes to the IRS. I called and talked to several companies before finding Fortress. I worked with David **, and he exceeded expectations. There were several roadblocks that delayed the outcome and my offer was actually rejected. David worked diligently to overturn their decision and it worked out in my favor. I am so relieved that I made the choice to use Fortress and was lucky enough to get assigned to someone that was confident and capable to pull this off. I will forever be grateful. Thank you so much for all of your hard work!

Fortress Tax Relief response

The IRS accepted only 30.7% of the OIC's submitted nationally last year (the rate of acceptance of the offers we submitted was much, much higher). So, the importance of having an outstanding tax pro who knows how to appeal and get an offer approved cannot be overstated. We're so glad we were able to make such a positive impact on your life. Thank you for your business and for your review!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

The Fortress legal team were knowledgeable and resolved our tax issues in a way that we could manage. It was amazing that our tax problems could be solved and, when issues came up, we could send them to Fortress confidently. We now have all issues resolved and feel amazing relief.

Fortress Tax Relief response

We're so glad that you feel amazing relief! Thank you for putting your trust in Fortress Tax Relief.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

Artur and Joan were so helpful assisting me with my challenges. I highly recommend their services and truly appreciate their professionalism and continual updates regarding the status of my account. They help educate me regarding my situation and always provided me with options to consider and their opinion about the best course of action. Dealing with a situation that can have a large impact on your family is a scary experience. They were terrific.

You are so welcome!

Original review: July 18, 2022

Fortress Tax Relief has been a true blessing. The team of professionals stepped in and came up with a solution to my years of back tax issues. They listened and understood my problem and offered the best solution for me. The professionalism of the team cannot be overstated. I would like to give Art and Joan a special shout-out for keeping me informed at every step of the process.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thank you so much! We are super fortunate to have dedicated and talented professionals like Art & Joan on our staff. We appreciate your business and your review!

Fortress Tax Relief author review by Danni White

Fortress Tax Relief offers tax resolution solutions to protect your assets. It helps consumers identify a solution that requires the lowest repayment or settlement amount.

• Services: Fortress Tax Relief helps with offers in compromise, penalty abatements, installment agreements, innocent spouse relief and IRS appeals.

• Accreditations: A licensed tax attorney oversees all cases with Fortress Financial.

• Enrolled agents: Fortress Tax Relief does not employ enrolled agents.

• Minimum debt required: $15,000

by Danni White ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Danni White is committed to providing valuable resources designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions. Danni specializes in content strategy and development, with over a decade of professional writing and research experience.

Fortress Tax Relief Company Information

Formerly Named:
      Fortress Financial Services, Inc.
      1011 SW Emkay Drive, Suite 201