Learn More

5.0/5 (39 ratings)

About Fortress Tax Relief

Fortress resolves tax debts nationwide for businesses and individuals, including pennies-on-the-dollar settlements, affordable payment plans, and the elimination of penalties. We are the only significant national tax resolution firm where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney. This ensures that our clients repay the least amount of money possible to the government, and that they receive the maximum level of protection against enforced collections, including bank levies, wage garnishments, accounts receivable levies, personal assessments, and unreasonable deadlines or demands. Call us today for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, and be sure to ask about our money back guarantee.

Pros

• Cases handled by tax attorneys
    • Positive reputation
    • Negotiates tax burdens and settlements

Cons

• Must have $15,000+ in tax debt

Bottom Line

Fortress Financial Services solves tax issues for individuals and businesses with $15,000 or more in tax debt. The process may be lengthy, but that's typical with the IRS and Fortress staffs experts in the field while maintaining a positive reputation.

Top Fortress Tax Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I interviewed several tax resolution services. Fortress provided references. My experience with Fortress matched up with the references. [Their attorney] guided me through what wa...

Verified

Fortress did exactly what I wanted them to do for a reasonable price. Sayward was the best person I could have had to navigate me through one of the most stressful periods in my l...

About Fortress Financial Services

Fortress Financial Services is a medium-sized tax relief firm helping individuals and businesses resolve tax enforcement issues and liabilities. The company is based in Oregon but operates nationwide with several out-of-state clients. Their licensed attorneys undergo more than 500 hours of training, allowing them to handle each case with the mastery expected from a seasoned professional.

Accreditations: Fortress Financial Services is a member of the National Association of Tax Resolution Companies.”

Fortress Financial Services

Fortress Financial Services offers a number of tax resolution services for the American taxpayer, including tax appeals, innocent spouse tax relief and review of tax transcripts. For complex cases, Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for a more personalized approach.

Services and results they provide include:

Offers in Compromise
    For taxpayers who have difficulty paying the full amount of what they owe or have doubts as to the amount demanded, Fortress Financial Services helps with Offers in Compromise. Offers in Compromise allow taxpayers to settle liabilities for less than the full amount owed. There are three reasons why an American taxpayer may request Offers in Compromise, and Fortress can help you identify the right course of action for your situation.
    1. Doubts as to collectibility: The taxpayer must prove they’re incapable of repaying the full tax debt
    2. Doubt as to liability: The taxpayer demonstrates they’re not responsible for the total amount owed
    3. Effective tax administration: Due to hardship, the taxpayer and IRS come to a final settlement
    Penalty Abatement
    A Penalty Abatement reduces the amount you owe. Before the IRS can grant a Penalty Abatement, there needs to be “reasonable cause,” and Fortress Financial Services can help. With reasonable cause, it’s essential to state the facts as clearly as possible, using the law accurately and providing sound legal arguments.
    Installment Agreements
    With Installment Agreements, taxpayers agree to repay their tax debt in installments. Fortress Financial Services work with taxpayers to negotiate terms that are fair and financially reasonable. Installment Agreements are great for taxpayers who desire to avoid or are on the verge of default. Bank levies, wage levies, accounts receivable levies and, in serious cases, seizure of assets often follow a default.
    Innocent Spouse Tax Relief
    When filing joint taxes, there are times when one spouse may be found innocent of tax liabilities. In these cases, Fortress Financial Services can help spouses who meet the criteria with Innocent Spouse Tax Relief services. To be relieved of liability, individuals must prove they were unaware of the tax discretion. Those who don’t qualify for the Innocent Spouse Tax Relief may be eligible for “Equitable Relief,” wherein the IRS finds holding one of the spouses liable is unfair.
    Tax Appeals
    Fortress Financial Services help clients identify the best method for a Tax Appeal. The two main ways are through the Collection Appeals Program (CAP) and a Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP). If a taxpayer misses the deadline for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP), Fortress Financial Services helps them identify their eligibility for an “Equivalent Hearing.” Tax Appeals are effective for:
    1. Reversing government actions that negatively affect financial stability, such as wage or bank levy
    2. Prevention of IRS enforcement
    3. Coming to a favorable tax liability resolution
    4. Negotiating with the IRS for more favorable terms
    5. Presenting and disputing the amount owed
    6. Reviewing the actions and findings of the IRS
    Creative Tax Relief Solutions
    Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for taxpayers whose cases do not fit into one of these conventional tax strategies. Fortress Financial Services will work with you personally to identify the best plan. This might mean combining a number of different approaches to protect your assets and resolve tax liabilities.
    Business tax relief
    Fortress Financial Services also offers Trust Fund Recovery Penalties. Trust Fund Recovery Penalties are geared towards shareholders, officers, and employees who can be held liable for a company (corporation, LLC, or business entity) that fail to pay specific payroll taxes. These services help protect the assets, wages, and bank accounts of American taxpayers.

In addition to the major services listed above, Fortress Financial Services further personalize services based on an individual’s case. These include:

• Lien Withdrawal/Lien Avoidance
    • Sale of Asset Subject to Tax Lien/Certificate of Discharge
    • Subordination of Tax Lien
    • Tax Account Review/Review of Tax Transcript
    • Adjustment of Tax Liability/Correction of IRS Error
    • Currently Not Collectable Status (CNC)

How does Fortress Financial Services work?

When working with Fortress Financial Services, a licensed attorney specialized in back tax negotiations personally handles your case. The company prides itself on a high level of customer service; for example, as part of their customer service, clients can expect to hear back from employees within two business days. All of their representatives are available by phone, and the company does not use case managers. Any issues with the Fortress Financial Services team should be directed to their president, Stephen K. Galgoczy. If a client experiences the problem more than once after contacting Mr. Galgoczy, the company offers $100 in credit for future services.

Their mission is to help clients protect their assets – including (but not limited to) bank accounts, business assets, wages from garnishments and seizure. They also identify ways for taxpayers to save on their repayments and assist in finding settlements that are less than the required amount.

When dealing with the IRS, the licensed professionals at Fortress Financial Services use their extensive knowledge to help protect American taxpayers and persuade government officials to agree to new terms and liability settlements.

Fortress Financial Services cost and fees

Fortress Financial Services offers a free confidential consultation to discuss tax relief solutions and the assistance they provide. Service agreement starting cost varies and there may be additional fees throughout the process. They offer a full money-back guarantee within 24 hours of the initial attorney consultation.

Do we recommend Fortress Financial Services?

Fortress Financial Services provides American taxpayers with professional and licensed help regarding their tax relief resolutions. The company has a team of highly experienced and knowledgeable specialists, and your case will be handled by a seasoned tax attorney. Although Fortress has a track record of providing clients with favorable results, their fees and service agreements are, at times, unclear to some customers. For anyone dealing with more than $15,000 in tax debt or liabilities and is inexperienced in negotiating with the IRS, Fortress Financial Services can provide personalized and comprehensive tax solutions.

Fortress Tax Relief Reviews

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

When I came to Fortress Financial, I had been told by Optima Tax that "An Offer in Compromise" was not available for me. However, Fortress assured me that I was. My case was immediately taken over by them. When one has any issue with the IRS, you need professional help. After all the IRS has thousands of pages of regulations and if you ask two different IRS agents the same questions, you will receive two different answers. Most of us "common" citizens do not have the time or the experience to deal with them. I would recommend them for they are trustworthy and professional. I was contacted by an attorney assigned for my case many times throughout my ordeal. I recommend Fortress.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thank you for your feedback. You make a great point about the complexities of resolving a tax debt. Just because someone at the IRS tells you something, doesn't mean it's true. We're fortunate to have a staff of attorneys who know the tax collection rules like the back of their hands, and they aren't afraid to stand up to the IRS and state taxing authorities when they aren't giving our clients a fair shake. We're glad to hear how pleased you were with our services and we appreciate your business!

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

I am incredibly grateful for the hard work Fortress Tax Relief did on my behalf. I owed the IRS close to $50,000 for past taxes from a failed business endeavor nearly ten years ago. The IRS had begun withholding my tax returns and was threatening to garnish my wages if I did not pay the amount in full. I had tried to resolve my tax debt in the past using a different tax relief company that I heard advertised on the Radio that took my money and went out of business soon after. I chose to use Fortress Tax Relief because they are a local company here in Bend, Oregon, and they are tax attorneys rather than CPA's. I provided them with every document they requested to represent me to the best of their abilities. Jeremy ** represented me and spoke with the IRS on my behalf, and provided me with regular updates on the status of my offer to compromise.

Fortress Tax Relief has not only proven itself to be everything they advertise, but Jeremy ** was able to get my Tax debt reduced to pennies on the dollar through an offer to compromise. My total tax bill went from almost $50,000 down to $4,800 after accepting my offer. I highly recommend using FortressTax Relief. I am incredibly pleased with the way they handled me as a client. Of course, I am thrilled with the outcome as well.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I do not wish to get into why you may require this type of service. Most of you are good people that got into a pickle attempting to keep your personal life moving forward and do not have the luxury of printing money when cash gets tight. I get it. I too am a good person that got into a tax issue and I sought the service of a local law firm. Big mistake! After a year and tens of thousands of dollars later, I was in the same situation. Fortress Financial reached out to me and I decided to give them a try. Best decision ever! I can not say enough good things about them. They calm your nerves and are laser focused.

I know your stress level. Raising a family, managing your time between work & family obligations. In my case, dealing with a father slowing passing away from Alzheimer's disease. I know every one of you have your personal story of how you got to this point. Do yourself a favor. Stop dreading to see the mail carrier every day and call Fortress. How good are they? In my personal case, my tax bill was high, like really high and we settled for 8% of what I owed. Yeah, that’s not a typo. So, call them today. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Fortress Tax Relief response

You make some great points. The overwhelming majority of people who fall behind with taxes are good people who encountered difficult circumstances. We are here to help people out of difficult situations, not judge them. To the contrary, we love our clients!

With few exceptions, accounting firms and law firms who do "tax" offer a VERY wide array of tax services, and only a tiny fraction of their work involves resolving tax liabilities. Since resolving tax liabilities is all our attorneys do, they often have 50 times as much experience handling tax collection cases as tax professionals who offer a broader array of services, and that is not an exaggeration. Although your experience with your local law firm is unfortunate, it is not surprising.

Our staff has sincerely enjoyed working with you, and we appreciate your review!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

My business partner and I were hesitant to obtain a second business tax relief company after our first one burned us left a particularly sour taste. It took a few months for the folks at Fortress Tax Relief to convince us that they could help us and get into a sustainable situation. The team at Fortress Tax Relief answered all of our questions and concerns over the months it took for us to decide to try them. Art and the crew are honest and will not lead you in circles.

The amount they charge is up front is the only fee I was charged and they worked their rear ends off on our behalf with a stubborn Revenue Officer. My hats off to the staff in management, Art and his crew, at Fortress Financial for keeping us in business and traveling this challenging road with us. Well worth the money invested and will likely be the primary reason we will continue to be in business in the future.

Fortress Tax Relief response

It's been an honor and a privilege to have you as a client! You understand as well as anyone how a business tax debt can threaten the very life of a business. We're grateful for the opportunity to pull that thorn out of your side and pave the way for the future of your business. Stories like yours are exactly why we find our work so satisfying. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Resolving IRS issues is no joke and having Fortress Tax Relief on our side, working for us, has given us peace of mind. The attorney we are working with and his assistant have been prompt to answer our questions and have explained our options clearly. They have even taken the time to just ease our worries over trivial matters, like getting a call from other tax relief companies claiming a new lien was filed and they can help us "for a small fee". At times the expense of Fortress' services has been a little overwhelming but I am a firm believer you get what you pay for.

When it comes to certain things, this being one of them, I want the best in my corner even if it costs a little more. I've posted other reviews and the owner replied to my Google review (which I very much appreciated), where I only gave four stars. He pointed out the revenue officer on our case has been "unusually slow" and I agree that is not something Fortress has control over. If I think about the many years it took for our previous bookkeeper(if one can even call her that, I call her an embezzling fraud) to create this mess, the time and work Fortress has put into our case is understandable and reasonable. We look forward to the positive outcome. - T

Fortress Tax Relief response

It's our pleasure "having your back" and we thank you for your business!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Fortress Tax Relief helped us with the IRS in having some taxes abated that were attached incorrectly to our company. They were informative, helpful and professional. They worked diligently to obtain the results we were looking for! Would highly recommend them!

Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

Professional and delicate when pertaining to matters at hand. Take matters personally and show concern in helping obtain goals. Aggressive at getting the job done quickly in a professional manner. Stay in constant contact to keep you up to date.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

Very responsive with highly professional service. They do as promised. Very attentive to client's needs & show true empathy for you the client. They know what they are doing. Fortress Tax gets things done efficiently & cost effective. I would highly recommend them to everyone.

Fortress Tax Relief response

What you described is exactly what we aim to deliver. Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

My experience with Fortress Tax Relief exceeded my expectations. When I began this process, I didn’t know what the outcome would be. My attorney, Jeremy, and his assistants, Jenny and Alyssa, told me they would work hard for a favorable outcome, and it was. They succeeded in getting all the penalties on my debt dropped. When you work with Fortress, not only do you get an attorney on your side, but you get a highly engaging and informative support team through their assistants.

Fortress Tax Relief response

We're so glad to hear how happy you are with our services! You make a great point about our support team. To compare it to the medical field, having a great physical therapist can sometimes be almost as important as having a great doctor. We take a lot of pride in our support staff and are fortunate to have the likes of Jenny and Alyssa on our team. Thank you for your review!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I worked with David at Fortress, He was very professional, and delivered on his promises on a timely manner. The company worked on my business as well as personal issues we have with IRS. Right now we are making minimum monthly payments to IRS to clear our liabilities.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Happy clients make us happy. We appreciate you!

Fortress Tax Relief author review by Danni White

Fortress Tax Relief offers tax resolution solutions to protect your assets. It helps consumers identify a solution that requires the lowest repayment or settlement amount.

• Services: Fortress Tax Relief helps with offers in compromise, penalty abatements, installment agreements, innocent spouse relief and IRS appeals.

• Accreditations: A licensed tax attorney oversees all cases with Fortress Financial.

• Enrolled agents: Fortress Tax Relief does not employ enrolled agents.

• Minimum debt required: $15,000

by Danni White ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Danni White is committed to providing valuable resources designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions. Danni specializes in content strategy and development, with over a decade of professional writing and research experience.

Fortress Tax Relief Company Information

Formerly Named:
      Fortress Financial Services, Inc.
      1011 SW Emkay Drive, Suite 201