Learn More

2. Tax Relief

5.0/5 (31 ratings)

About Fortress Tax Relief

Fortress resolves tax debts nationwide for businesses and individuals, including pennies-on-the-dollar settlements, affordable payment plans, and the elimination of penalties. We are the only significant national tax resolution firm where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney. This ensures that our clients repay the least amount of money possible to the government, and that they receive the maximum level of protection against enforced collections, including bank levies, wage garnishments, accounts receivable levies, personal assessments, and unreasonable deadlines or demands. Call us today for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, and be sure to ask about our money back guarantee.

Pros

• Cases handled by tax attorneys
    • Positive reputation
    • Negotiates tax burdens and settlements

Cons

• Must have $15,000+ in tax debt

Bottom Line

Fortress Financial Services solves tax issues for individuals and businesses with $15,000 or more in tax debt. The process may be lengthy, but that's typical with the IRS and Fortress staffs experts in the field while maintaining a positive reputation.

Top Fortress Tax Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I interviewed several tax resolution services. Fortress provided references. My experience with Fortress matched up with the references. [Their attorney] guided me through what wa...

Verified

Fortress did exactly what I wanted them to do for a reasonable price. Sayward was the best person I could have had to navigate me through one of the most stressful periods in my l...

About Fortress Financial Services

Fortress Financial Services is a medium-sized tax relief firm helping individuals and businesses resolve tax enforcement issues and liabilities. The company is based in Oregon but operates nationwide with several out-of-state clients. Their licensed attorneys undergo more than 500 hours of training, allowing them to handle each case with the mastery expected from a seasoned professional.

Accreditations: Fortress Financial Services is a member of the National Association of Tax Resolution Companies.”

Fortress Financial Services

Fortress Financial Services offers a number of tax resolution services for the American taxpayer, including tax appeals, innocent spouse tax relief and review of tax transcripts. For complex cases, Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for a more personalized approach.

Services and results they provide include:

Offers in Compromise
    For taxpayers who have difficulty paying the full amount of what they owe or have doubts as to the amount demanded, Fortress Financial Services helps with Offers in Compromise. Offers in Compromise allow taxpayers to settle liabilities for less than the full amount owed. There are three reasons why an American taxpayer may request Offers in Compromise, and Fortress can help you identify the right course of action for your situation.
    1. Doubts as to collectibility: The taxpayer must prove they’re incapable of repaying the full tax debt
    2. Doubt as to liability: The taxpayer demonstrates they’re not responsible for the total amount owed
    3. Effective tax administration: Due to hardship, the taxpayer and IRS come to a final settlement
    Penalty Abatement
    A Penalty Abatement reduces the amount you owe. Before the IRS can grant a Penalty Abatement, there needs to be “reasonable cause,” and Fortress Financial Services can help. With reasonable cause, it’s essential to state the facts as clearly as possible, using the law accurately and providing sound legal arguments.
    Installment Agreements
    With Installment Agreements, taxpayers agree to repay their tax debt in installments. Fortress Financial Services work with taxpayers to negotiate terms that are fair and financially reasonable. Installment Agreements are great for taxpayers who desire to avoid or are on the verge of default. Bank levies, wage levies, accounts receivable levies and, in serious cases, seizure of assets often follow a default.
    Innocent Spouse Tax Relief
    When filing joint taxes, there are times when one spouse may be found innocent of tax liabilities. In these cases, Fortress Financial Services can help spouses who meet the criteria with Innocent Spouse Tax Relief services. To be relieved of liability, individuals must prove they were unaware of the tax discretion. Those who don’t qualify for the Innocent Spouse Tax Relief may be eligible for “Equitable Relief,” wherein the IRS finds holding one of the spouses liable is unfair.
    Tax Appeals
    Fortress Financial Services help clients identify the best method for a Tax Appeal. The two main ways are through the Collection Appeals Program (CAP) and a Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP). If a taxpayer misses the deadline for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP), Fortress Financial Services helps them identify their eligibility for an “Equivalent Hearing.” Tax Appeals are effective for:
    1. Reversing government actions that negatively affect financial stability, such as wage or bank levy
    2. Prevention of IRS enforcement
    3. Coming to a favorable tax liability resolution
    4. Negotiating with the IRS for more favorable terms
    5. Presenting and disputing the amount owed
    6. Reviewing the actions and findings of the IRS
    Creative Tax Relief Solutions
    Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for taxpayers whose cases do not fit into one of these conventional tax strategies. Fortress Financial Services will work with you personally to identify the best plan. This might mean combining a number of different approaches to protect your assets and resolve tax liabilities.
    Business tax relief
    Fortress Financial Services also offers Trust Fund Recovery Penalties. Trust Fund Recovery Penalties are geared towards shareholders, officers, and employees who can be held liable for a company (corporation, LLC, or business entity) that fail to pay specific payroll taxes. These services help protect the assets, wages, and bank accounts of American taxpayers.

In addition to the major services listed above, Fortress Financial Services further personalize services based on an individual’s case. These include:

• Lien Withdrawal/Lien Avoidance
    • Sale of Asset Subject to Tax Lien/Certificate of Discharge
    • Subordination of Tax Lien
    • Tax Account Review/Review of Tax Transcript
    • Adjustment of Tax Liability/Correction of IRS Error
    • Currently Not Collectable Status (CNC)

How does Fortress Financial Services work?

When working with Fortress Financial Services, a licensed attorney specialized in back tax negotiations personally handles your case. The company prides itself on a high level of customer service; for example, as part of their customer service, clients can expect to hear back from employees within two business days. All of their representatives are available by phone, and the company does not use case managers. Any issues with the Fortress Financial Services team should be directed to their president, Stephen K. Galgoczy. If a client experiences the problem more than once after contacting Mr. Galgoczy, the company offers $100 in credit for future services.

Their mission is to help clients protect their assets – including (but not limited to) bank accounts, business assets, wages from garnishments and seizure. They also identify ways for taxpayers to save on their repayments and assist in finding settlements that are less than the required amount.

When dealing with the IRS, the licensed professionals at Fortress Financial Services use their extensive knowledge to help protect American taxpayers and persuade government officials to agree to new terms and liability settlements.

Fortress Financial Services cost and fees

Fortress Financial Services offers a free confidential consultation to discuss tax relief solutions and the assistance they provide. Service agreement starting cost varies and there may be additional fees throughout the process. They offer a full money-back guarantee within 24 hours of the initial attorney consultation.

Do we recommend Fortress Financial Services?

Fortress Financial Services provides American taxpayers with professional and licensed help regarding their tax relief resolutions. The company has a team of highly experienced and knowledgeable specialists, and your case will be handled by a seasoned tax attorney. Although Fortress has a track record of providing clients with favorable results, their fees and service agreements are, at times, unclear to some customers. For anyone dealing with more than $15,000 in tax debt or liabilities and is inexperienced in negotiating with the IRS, Fortress Financial Services can provide personalized and comprehensive tax solutions.

Fortress Tax Relief Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Tax Relief?

Original review: March 16, 2021

There is absolutely no doubt that I was very very worried about the IRS taxes I owed. I was reluctant to pay a firm to help, but only because of lack of knowledge about their success in being able to help. I was certainly educated on the value of professional representation by your firm. I couldn't be any happier with the results and wouldn't hesitate for one second to recommend your firm to anyone needing tax help. I could tell from Karlin's phone call to me confirming the IRS's decision to accept our offer and compromise, that she was as excited as I was. Proof that your firm cares. I can't thank your firm enough and will never forget your help. Thank You, Thank you, Thank you.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thanks so much for your review! The staff we have truly finds our work to be rewarding, and we absolutely love hitting home runs for our clients. Thus, the joy K.H. expressed about the acceptance of your tax settlement comes as no surprise. Thank you for your business and for being such a great client!

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

My business partner and I were hesitant to obtain a second business tax relief company after our first one burned us left a particularly sour taste. It took a few months for the folks at Fortress Tax Relief to convince us that they could help us and get into a sustainable situation. The team at Fortress Tax Relief answered all of our questions and concerns over the months it took for us to decide to try them. Art and the crew are honest and will not lead you in circles.

The amount they charge is up front is the only fee I was charged and they worked their rear ends off on our behalf with a stubborn Revenue Officer. My hats off to the staff in management, Art and his crew, at Fortress Financial for keeping us in business and traveling this challenging road with us. Well worth the money invested and will likely be the primary reason we will continue to be in business in the future.

Fortress Tax Relief response

It's been an honor and a privilege to have you as a client! You understand as well as anyone how a business tax debt can threaten the very life of a business. We're grateful for the opportunity to pull that thorn out of your side and pave the way for the future of your business. Stories like yours are exactly why we find our work so satisfying. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Resolving IRS issues is no joke and having Fortress Tax Relief on our side, working for us, has given us peace of mind. The attorney we are working with and his assistant have been prompt to answer our questions and have explained our options clearly. They have even taken the time to just ease our worries over trivial matters, like getting a call from other tax relief companies claiming a new lien was filed and they can help us "for a small fee". At times the expense of Fortress' services has been a little overwhelming but I am a firm believer you get what you pay for.

When it comes to certain things, this being one of them, I want the best in my corner even if it costs a little more. I've posted other reviews and the owner replied to my Google review (which I very much appreciated), where I only gave four stars. He pointed out the revenue officer on our case has been "unusually slow" and I agree that is not something Fortress has control over. If I think about the many years it took for our previous bookkeeper(if one can even call her that, I call her an embezzling fraud) to create this mess, the time and work Fortress has put into our case is understandable and reasonable. We look forward to the positive outcome. - T

Fortress Tax Relief response

It's our pleasure "having your back" and we thank you for your business!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Fortress Tax Relief has provided us with services beyond compare! Our long-standing issues with the IRS and with California started years ago when I and several family members went through some serious health problems. In a span of 10 years, we had dealt with cancer, a stroke, my father passing away and making the difficult decision of placing my mom in an assisted living facility. We were emotionally and physically spent and filing and paying taxes simply were not my greatest concerns. Throughout this time, I did my best at running my business but, while the business did well enough, keeping up with all the filing and deposit requirements became increasingly difficult.

With our compounded tax problems, and having little to no success on my own, I didn’t know where to turn for assistance. I found Fortress Tax Relief and I am extremely happy with their service. My Attorney, Peter **, and his assistant Karlin, have been professional and kept us in the loop every step of the way. Peter provided solid advice, clear instructions and addressed all my concerns. Because of Peter, I can concentrate on my family and my business without worry. If you need somebody to help you sleep at night and take any worry away from the taxing authorities, call Peter at Fortress. His service to me and my company has been, and continues to be, superior!

Fortress Tax Relief response

Your story illustrates how difficult life can be WITHOUT tax issues. We hope that you and yours are in better health, and we're grateful that we were able to make a difference in our own small way.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

My business and I developed tax issues due to mismanagement by my in-house accounting manager. I needed to resolve this issue with the IRS. I started researching for a reliable tax attorney and found out it is a very expensive and cumbersome process. Most attorneys would only quote what their hourly fee would be and needed thousands of dollars pre-paid. The potential cost and the whole process was overwhelming. Through my research I discovered Fortress Tax Relief.

The team at Fortress was very helpful in providing me detailed information regarding cost and the complexities of the process. I finally understood what needed to be done. Fortress quoted me reasonable fees upfront, reasonable payment terms and a strong comfort level that they would work hard to resolve my tax problems. I worked with David ** (Fortress tax attorney) and Heather ** (David’s assistant). They both did an excellent job! I am extremely happy with the level of communication and their professionalism. All my questions and concerns were addressed in a timely matter. No doubt their knowledge and experience made a difference. David and Heather are very accomplished with their skill and abilities. I highly recommend them and the whole team at Fortress.

Keith

Fortress Tax Relief response

What you describe--clear expectations on costs, clear communication, realistic expectations on results, professionalism, and outstanding customer service--is exactly what we strive for with each and every client. We're glad to hear that we hit these marks for you, and we thank you for your business!

Original review: June 22, 2021

Tax Fortress couldn’t have been more accommodating, with my unique and ever-changing situation. I had numerous questions through my own nerves, I never felt like I was being a bother. Helpful, diligent and knowledgeable, I couldn’t have had a better legal team.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I went to Fortress with a load of IRS business debt and with the help of Peter and Karlin resolved it! They are an amazing team and great to work with! Peter was there from start to finish and available any time I had questions. Just remember these things take time, lots of time.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thank you Tobin! We're fortunate to employ dedicated and talented professionals like Peter and Karlin, and equally fortunate to have great clients like you!

Original review: May 20, 2021

Due to my husband's health we found ourselves in a tax situation we could not resolve on our own. Each person I spoke to from the initial inquiry to the attorney himself, was compassionate, knowledgeable and understanding. What stands out the most to me is the level of communication from the attorney and his assistant. All these things gave us confidence in Fortress.

Original review: May 12, 2021

Great communication - I never had trouble reaching my attorney. I was always dealing directly with the same attorney (Art). We obtained results that are in my best interest. I am grateful for the firm's help. Thank you.

Fortress Tax Relief response

We're grateful for your business and your review!

Original review: May 8, 2021

Their team of tax pros had all the forms, information, and knowledge to get my tax problems resolved. They even worked with me on the financing. I'm grateful for their help. They helped to expedite my forms and documents to the IRS so that my case was resolved quickly. I never had to deal with the IRS on my own. They handled everything.

Fortress Tax Relief response

We aim to make the process as easy as possible for our clients. We're glad to hear that you had a great experience working with our staff!

Fortress Tax Relief author review by Andrew Poulos

Fortress Tax Relief offers tax resolution solutions to protect your assets. It helps consumers identify a solution that requires the lowest repayment or settlement amount.

• Services: Fortress Tax Relief helps with offers in compromise, penalty abatements, installment agreements, innocent spouse relief and IRS appeals.

• Accreditations: A licensed tax attorney oversees all cases with Fortress Financial.

• Enrolled agents: Fortress Tax Relief does not employ enrolled agents.

• Minimum debt required: $15,000

by Andrew Poulos Tax Relief Contributing Editor

Andrew G. Poulos, EA, ABA, ATP, is principal of Poulos Accounting & Consulting, Inc. in Atlanta, GA where he works with individual and business tax clients and represents clients before the IRS and state labor agencies. A self-made entrepreneur and real estate investor, Andrew is an author, national speaker and nationally syndicated tax software expert.

Fortress Tax Relief Company Information

Formerly Named:
      Fortress Financial Services, Inc.
      1011 SW Emkay Drive, Suite 201