5.0/5 (31 ratings)

About Fortress Tax Relief

Fortress resolves tax debts nationwide for businesses and individuals, including pennies-on-the-dollar settlements, affordable payment plans, and the elimination of penalties. We are the only significant national tax resolution firm where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney. This ensures that our clients repay the least amount of money possible to the government, and that they receive the maximum level of protection against enforced collections, including bank levies, wage garnishments, accounts receivable levies, personal assessments, and unreasonable deadlines or demands. Call us today for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, and be sure to ask about our money back guarantee.

Pros

• Cases handled by tax attorneys
    • Positive reputation
    • Negotiates tax burdens and settlements

Cons

• Must have $15,000+ in tax debt

Bottom Line

Fortress Financial Services solves tax issues for individuals and businesses with $15,000 or more in tax debt. The process may be lengthy, but that's typical with the IRS and Fortress staffs experts in the field while maintaining a positive reputation.

Top Fortress Tax Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I interviewed several tax resolution services. Fortress provided references. My experience with Fortress matched up with the references. [Their attorney] guided me through what wa...

Verified

Fortress did exactly what I wanted them to do for a reasonable price. Sayward was the best person I could have had to navigate me through one of the most stressful periods in my l...

About Fortress Financial Services

Fortress Financial Services is a medium-sized tax relief firm helping individuals and businesses resolve tax enforcement issues and liabilities. The company is based in Oregon but operates nationwide with several out-of-state clients. Their licensed attorneys undergo more than 500 hours of training, allowing them to handle each case with the mastery expected from a seasoned professional.

Accreditations: Fortress Financial Services is a member of the National Association of Tax Resolution Companies.”

Fortress Financial Services

Fortress Financial Services offers a number of tax resolution services for the American taxpayer, including tax appeals, innocent spouse tax relief and review of tax transcripts. For complex cases, Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for a more personalized approach.

Services and results they provide include:

Offers in Compromise
    For taxpayers who have difficulty paying the full amount of what they owe or have doubts as to the amount demanded, Fortress Financial Services helps with Offers in Compromise. Offers in Compromise allow taxpayers to settle liabilities for less than the full amount owed. There are three reasons why an American taxpayer may request Offers in Compromise, and Fortress can help you identify the right course of action for your situation.
    1. Doubts as to collectibility: The taxpayer must prove they’re incapable of repaying the full tax debt
    2. Doubt as to liability: The taxpayer demonstrates they’re not responsible for the total amount owed
    3. Effective tax administration: Due to hardship, the taxpayer and IRS come to a final settlement
    Penalty Abatement
    A Penalty Abatement reduces the amount you owe. Before the IRS can grant a Penalty Abatement, there needs to be “reasonable cause,” and Fortress Financial Services can help. With reasonable cause, it’s essential to state the facts as clearly as possible, using the law accurately and providing sound legal arguments.
    Installment Agreements
    With Installment Agreements, taxpayers agree to repay their tax debt in installments. Fortress Financial Services work with taxpayers to negotiate terms that are fair and financially reasonable. Installment Agreements are great for taxpayers who desire to avoid or are on the verge of default. Bank levies, wage levies, accounts receivable levies and, in serious cases, seizure of assets often follow a default.
    Innocent Spouse Tax Relief
    When filing joint taxes, there are times when one spouse may be found innocent of tax liabilities. In these cases, Fortress Financial Services can help spouses who meet the criteria with Innocent Spouse Tax Relief services. To be relieved of liability, individuals must prove they were unaware of the tax discretion. Those who don’t qualify for the Innocent Spouse Tax Relief may be eligible for “Equitable Relief,” wherein the IRS finds holding one of the spouses liable is unfair.
    Tax Appeals
    Fortress Financial Services help clients identify the best method for a Tax Appeal. The two main ways are through the Collection Appeals Program (CAP) and a Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP). If a taxpayer misses the deadline for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP), Fortress Financial Services helps them identify their eligibility for an “Equivalent Hearing.” Tax Appeals are effective for:
    1. Reversing government actions that negatively affect financial stability, such as wage or bank levy
    2. Prevention of IRS enforcement
    3. Coming to a favorable tax liability resolution
    4. Negotiating with the IRS for more favorable terms
    5. Presenting and disputing the amount owed
    6. Reviewing the actions and findings of the IRS
    Creative Tax Relief Solutions
    Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for taxpayers whose cases do not fit into one of these conventional tax strategies. Fortress Financial Services will work with you personally to identify the best plan. This might mean combining a number of different approaches to protect your assets and resolve tax liabilities.
    Business tax relief
    Fortress Financial Services also offers Trust Fund Recovery Penalties. Trust Fund Recovery Penalties are geared towards shareholders, officers, and employees who can be held liable for a company (corporation, LLC, or business entity) that fail to pay specific payroll taxes. These services help protect the assets, wages, and bank accounts of American taxpayers.

In addition to the major services listed above, Fortress Financial Services further personalize services based on an individual’s case. These include:

• Lien Withdrawal/Lien Avoidance
    • Sale of Asset Subject to Tax Lien/Certificate of Discharge
    • Subordination of Tax Lien
    • Tax Account Review/Review of Tax Transcript
    • Adjustment of Tax Liability/Correction of IRS Error
    • Currently Not Collectable Status (CNC)

How does Fortress Financial Services work?

When working with Fortress Financial Services, a licensed attorney specialized in back tax negotiations personally handles your case. The company prides itself on a high level of customer service; for example, as part of their customer service, clients can expect to hear back from employees within two business days. All of their representatives are available by phone, and the company does not use case managers. Any issues with the Fortress Financial Services team should be directed to their president, Stephen K. Galgoczy. If a client experiences the problem more than once after contacting Mr. Galgoczy, the company offers $100 in credit for future services.

Their mission is to help clients protect their assets – including (but not limited to) bank accounts, business assets, wages from garnishments and seizure. They also identify ways for taxpayers to save on their repayments and assist in finding settlements that are less than the required amount.

When dealing with the IRS, the licensed professionals at Fortress Financial Services use their extensive knowledge to help protect American taxpayers and persuade government officials to agree to new terms and liability settlements.

Fortress Financial Services cost and fees

Fortress Financial Services offers a free confidential consultation to discuss tax relief solutions and the assistance they provide. Service agreement starting cost varies and there may be additional fees throughout the process. They offer a full money-back guarantee within 24 hours of the initial attorney consultation.

Do we recommend Fortress Financial Services?

Fortress Financial Services provides American taxpayers with professional and licensed help regarding their tax relief resolutions. The company has a team of highly experienced and knowledgeable specialists, and your case will be handled by a seasoned tax attorney. Although Fortress has a track record of providing clients with favorable results, their fees and service agreements are, at times, unclear to some customers. For anyone dealing with more than $15,000 in tax debt or liabilities and is inexperienced in negotiating with the IRS, Fortress Financial Services can provide personalized and comprehensive tax solutions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Tax Relief?

Original review: May 1, 2022

A JOB WELL DONE! There's no better way to describe how happy I am with the services provided by Fortress. Working with David ** and Sayward **, a more responsive team is hard to imagine as they spoke or emailed answers to ALL my questions in more than a timely fashion, delivered a more successful outcome and settlement than I had hoped for. All decisions were made by me after explanation and advice and there was never a written or spoken promise as to what they would deliver. Fortress's experienced staff of lawyers, accountants and paralegals always reinforced my choice of representation. Receiving a letter from the V.P of Fortress stating his availability if needed was comforting but the team I got to work with never needed the help. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. THOMAS and ROSEMARY

Fortress Tax Relief response

We are so glad to hear that our staff hit the marks on all of the things we strive to deliver to every single client: exceptional customer service, honesty, reliability, responsiveness, and an outstanding result. We are truly fortunate to have such a great staff as well as great clients like you. Thank you!

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

When I came to Fortress Financial, I had been told by Optima Tax that "An Offer in Compromise" was not available for me. However, Fortress assured me that I was. My case was immediately taken over by them. When one has any issue with the IRS, you need professional help. After all the IRS has thousands of pages of regulations and if you ask two different IRS agents the same questions, you will receive two different answers. Most of us "common" citizens do not have the time or the experience to deal with them. I would recommend them for they are trustworthy and professional. I was contacted by an attorney assigned for my case many times throughout my ordeal. I recommend Fortress.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thank you for your feedback. You make a great point about the complexities of resolving a tax debt. Just because someone at the IRS tells you something, doesn't mean it's true. We're fortunate to have a staff of attorneys who know the tax collection rules like the back of their hands, and they aren't afraid to stand up to the IRS and state taxing authorities when they aren't giving our clients a fair shake. We're glad to hear how pleased you were with our services and we appreciate your business!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

I am incredibly grateful for the hard work Fortress Tax Relief did on my behalf. I owed the IRS close to $50,000 for past taxes from a failed business endeavor nearly ten years ago. The IRS had begun withholding my tax returns and was threatening to garnish my wages if I did not pay the amount in full. I had tried to resolve my tax debt in the past using a different tax relief company that I heard advertised on the Radio that took my money and went out of business soon after. I chose to use Fortress Tax Relief because they are a local company here in Bend, Oregon, and they are tax attorneys rather than CPA's. I provided them with every document they requested to represent me to the best of their abilities. Jeremy ** represented me and spoke with the IRS on my behalf, and provided me with regular updates on the status of my offer to compromise.

Fortress Tax Relief has not only proven itself to be everything they advertise, but Jeremy ** was able to get my Tax debt reduced to pennies on the dollar through an offer to compromise. My total tax bill went from almost $50,000 down to $4,800 after accepting my offer. I highly recommend using FortressTax Relief. I am incredibly pleased with the way they handled me as a client. Of course, I am thrilled with the outcome as well.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I just had to write and wanted the public to know that if you’re ever in a situation with a tax debt the only firm to call on is Fortress Financial Service in Bend Oregon. I Am a Contractor in the Northeast and had serious tax problems as a result of embezzlement from a former employee, taxes weren’t being paid. A ghost corporation was formed to hide funds. It was a total mess for my company and my personal taxes were not being paid. I found Fortress on the Internet and they had all 5 star reviews. I must tell you this was the best call I’ve ever made. I couldn’t sleep at night from worrying what the IRS would do to myself and my company. Mr Peter ** and his assistant Mrs Karlin ** worked extremely hard on my case and now I am in short time in compliance with the IRS. If any individual or business needs help with their tax issues it would be to your best interest to initiate a call to this outstanding firm.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I do not wish to get into why you may require this type of service. Most of you are good people that got into a pickle attempting to keep your personal life moving forward and do not have the luxury of printing money when cash gets tight. I get it. I too am a good person that got into a tax issue and I sought the service of a local law firm. Big mistake! After a year and tens of thousands of dollars later, I was in the same situation. Fortress Financial reached out to me and I decided to give them a try. Best decision ever! I can not say enough good things about them. They calm your nerves and are laser focused.

I know your stress level. Raising a family, managing your time between work & family obligations. In my case, dealing with a father slowing passing away from Alzheimer's disease. I know every one of you have your personal story of how you got to this point. Do yourself a favor. Stop dreading to see the mail carrier every day and call Fortress. How good are they? In my personal case, my tax bill was high, like really high and we settled for 8% of what I owed. Yeah, that’s not a typo. So, call them today. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Fortress Tax Relief response

You make some great points. The overwhelming majority of people who fall behind with taxes are good people who encountered difficult circumstances. We are here to help people out of difficult situations, not judge them. To the contrary, we love our clients!

With few exceptions, accounting firms and law firms who do "tax" offer a VERY wide array of tax services, and only a tiny fraction of their work involves resolving tax liabilities. Since resolving tax liabilities is all our attorneys do, they often have 50 times as much experience handling tax collection cases as tax professionals who offer a broader array of services, and that is not an exaggeration. Although your experience with your local law firm is unfortunate, it is not surprising.

Our staff has sincerely enjoyed working with you, and we appreciate your review!

Original review: June 13, 2022

Joan, helped my mom with an IRS issue. She was very helpful, knowledgeable and always got back to me in a quick manner. I will always be very grateful to Joan for helping me every day I called her for the many questions I asked, and she answered.

Fortress Tax Relief response

We're fortunate to have knowledgeable, caring, and dedicated people, like Joan, on our staff. Thank you for your review!

Original review: June 10, 2022

I secured representation with Fortress as I had a tax issue that I needed help resolving. The attorney who handled my case was great, the staff was great, and in the end, they secured very favorable resolution that resulted in a significant reduction of my liability. I would recommend Fortress to anyone who needs assistance with tax resolution as I am 100% satisfied.

Fortress Tax Relief response

We aim for 100% satisfaction with each and every client, and we're delighted to hear that we hit that mark with you. Thank you for putting your trust in Fortress Tax Relief!

Original review: May 19, 2022

Working outside of internet service areas have become more sufficient with Fortress Tax Help. I enjoy the one on one help and ambition to get a resolution. The routine check ins with status reports is a big win for me when I return to cell service areas.

Thank you!

Original review: May 3, 2022

Hired the team at Fortress Tax Relief about 3-4 years ago to help me with my Tax issues, they have been so helpful in every aspect and I’m very happy I chose them. They made the process super easy and couldn’t have done it without them. Huge thanks to Jeremy and Alyssa!

Fortress Tax Relief response

Jeremy and Alyssa have loved working with you, and Fortress management is happy because you are happy. Thank you for your business!

Original review: April 19, 2022

Fortress was awesome and it was great to have David ** on my team. I initially engaged another firm (a national, highly advertised company) to help me with a complex tax issue and the experience was miserable - slow/no progress, bait and switch pricing, and a lack of technical competence. I fired them. I hired Fortress Tax Relief after an extensive search and it couldn't have worked out better. Fortress did exactly what they said they would do, were completely professional, and were deeply knowledgeable on tax processes and interaction with the State. Fortress cleared my issue in a couple of months and did so at about a quarter of the cost of the projected cost of the other firm. I also saved a ton of money and got a huge monkey off my back. I would definitely go back to Fortress and specifically, David for help on delinquent tax issues.

Fortress Tax Relief author review by Danni White

Fortress Tax Relief offers tax resolution solutions to protect your assets. It helps consumers identify a solution that requires the lowest repayment or settlement amount.

• Services: Fortress Tax Relief helps with offers in compromise, penalty abatements, installment agreements, innocent spouse relief and IRS appeals.

• Accreditations: A licensed tax attorney oversees all cases with Fortress Financial.

• Enrolled agents: Fortress Tax Relief does not employ enrolled agents.

• Minimum debt required: $15,000

by Danni White ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Danni White is committed to providing valuable resources designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions. Danni specializes in content strategy and development, with over a decade of professional writing and research experience.

Fortress Tax Relief Company Information

Formerly Named:
      Fortress Financial Services, Inc.
      1011 SW Emkay Drive, Suite 201