4.74/5
Based on 53 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Fortress resolves tax debts nationwide for businesses and individuals, including pennies-on-the-dollar settlements, affordable payment plans, and the elimination of penalties. We are the only significant national tax resolution firm where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney. This ensures that our clients repay the least amount of money possible to the government, and that they receive the maximum level of protection against enforced collections, including bank levies, wage garnishments, accounts receivable levies, personal assessments, and unreasonable deadlines or demands. Call us today for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, and be sure to ask about our money back guarantee.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 11, 2018

63 Fortress Financial Services, Inc. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I honestly could not be happier! I was contacted by the IRS in November out of the blue about an old debt that I could not afford to pay. I was completely caught off guard and very concerned. I did not have a lawyer and did not even know where I should go to find one. After doing some looking online I found Fortress Financial. I did some research, liked what I saw and decided to give them a try. I gave them a call and signed up. I didn't really know what to expect but things went very smoothly.

After I signed up, I got a call from David ** and he asked me some questions, answered mine and then explained the process to me. Long story short... I owed the IRS about $168,000 that I don't have and I no longer have to pay it. The IRS closed my case and I could not be happier. He and his assistant Sayward worked together and took amazing care of this situation for me. I was also able to make payments which really helped me. I highly recommend Fortress Financial. They are awesome and extremely efficient, knowledgeable and professional.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I looked at a set of different companies a few years ago. After talking with Fortress on the phone, they seemed like the most qualified and the readiest company to help me with my tax-related issue at hand. They did their job. They helped me set up an agreement with the tax agency. And I contacted them for some additional concerns that needed to be handled. There were numerous tax attorneys involved but it was a phone conversation or two that I had with them. The service cost wasn't the cheapest around but it was fair. Fortress Financial is worth talking to for people who have a tax issue.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Fortress Financial is the liaison between me and the IRS. I've been working with them for two and a half years now and I like them a lot. I liked their straightforwardness and they didn't seem like a machine, it seemed personal. They seemed honest and trustworthy. Their reps have been very honest, helpful, and knowledgeable. David was the attorney and heather was my main contact.

Fortress Financial has entered me into an installment agreement and we're working on an offer and compromise. We're not completed yet but we're getting close to being done. The service is not inexpensive but when we're done, it'll be very helpful to me. I'd definitely recommend them. They're definitely worth contacting and getting a consultation with.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

We were screwed over and we were seeking IRS help. Fortress Financial talked to my husband about that and we got an agreement. But then we both got sick. My husband has been in and out of the hospital for 16 months while I had a spider bite which I dealt with for close to two years. We wound up in arrears because there wasn't anybody to run our business, paid our bills like we did and knew how to do the taxes. My husband usually did it. We got behind and we couldn't pay our bills. We nearly lost our home and everything.

That all happened just last year and we're still in the process negotiating with the revenue officer. I filled out all the paperwork and got everything the revenue officer needed. But she has a personal problem and she hasn't gotten back with Fortress Financial and they've been trying to contact her. She's holding everything up and we're still waiting for the arrears right now. We're also trying to get some kind of offer and call them up. Other than that, whenever we call Fortress Financial, they get right back to us. They email, call and would stay in touch. I don't have to call them all the time. I would definitely recommend them to others.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I've been dealing with Fortress Financial since 2012. I called their 800 number and spoke to someone there. They then hooked me up with David the attorney. From then on, I sent them the information that they needed and we started establishing the relationship. I had an IRS issue with error taxes and Fortress has been really very helpful with all my issues. I don't regret choosing them.

I've been working with the same attorney since I started. David has been very professional and if he says something is going to happen, it does. He doesn't beat around the bush. What he can do, he can do and what he can't, he can't. But he always finds the options that can happen in order to take care of the issue. His communications are always courteous and every time I email him, he emails me back at a very reasonable time. I've referred him to quite a bit of client.

I'm 100% satisfied with the cost and service of Fortress Financial. They've been helping me resolve my issues so that's given me some space off my bag. They have already taken the issue at hand and that has been settled. They paid attention to me and their prices are reasonable. They weren't there to take my money. They are a true company that has helped me out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Financial Services, Inc.?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Fortress helped us with our tax debt and their service was very poor. They only helped us draft the letter which I could have done myself had I known at that point. They should also lower their prices for people who are in the same situation as us.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

We pride ourselves on providing outstanding customer services, and are sorry to hear that we fell short of that with the handling of your case. Any Fortress client who isn't completely happy with our level of customer service is strongly encouraged to contact management. Excellent customer service is required of our staff. If that is not happening, management wants to know so that we can correct the problem. We will have someone from management reach out to you within two business days in an effort to make things right.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I was referred to Fortress Financial by a friend and they negotiated the payment agreement for me. Signing up was pretty easy. I just made a phone call and they pretty much told me what it was going to cost. I said okay and I sent them everything they needed and they took care of it. The process took more than a month and I finished the program last August of 2015. Dave was my tax attorney. The communication was great and explained all that I needed to do. Fortress Financial did great for what I paid them. They are very professional and very efficient.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Fortress was excellent in everything that I asked them to do. They seemed more in tune with what I needed and had all the right answers. They also treated me with respect and I was just as important as any other client would be. In the beginning, I just wanted to put off having to pay the IRS as long as possible because my company was struggling. I was still trying to survive and when it's time to close the company, it wasn’t going to come back. They assisted me in getting a settlement agreement for a whole lot less than what the company actually owed. I've done two different services and got exactly what I needed to be done.

Initially, I didn’t understand why so many forms had to be filled out. I was depressed and aggravated and I wanted somebody to take care of everything which they tried to do as much over the phone as they could but there's still certain things that I had to fill out. They made it as painless as possible. They even filled some of it out that would have been more my responsibility, but they took good care of me. I had a question here a few months back about something that had come up and they answered my question and was ready to do whatever I needed to be done. They even called and checked back with me three times just to make sure that everything was still in good shape.

The attorney was David and he had his assistants. There were two different ones and both were excellent. They're very knowledgeable about what needed to be done but they never tried to give you any false hope or false information that wasn’t their call to make. The attorney always followed up whenever it's necessary for him to make a comment and they were very professional about it. Anytime something ever came up that I was not understanding or have an issue with, all I had to do was talk to Fortress and it was resolved. They were very lenient with me paying for their services and they worked with me in every way possible.

Fortress was a blessing at that time because I didn’t think there's any hope of things getting better. They knew they had to get the ball rolling and take the stress out. Don’t be afraid to ask any question if you use them. They'll only take care of what you tell them about or what they know that you're having issues with. I would have addressed more of it in the beginning than slowly dragging it out because I was ignorant of how it all works. They can change your life. If it comes to IRS, don’t be scared of them. Play hard ball with them and Fortress will play hard ball for you.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this thoughtful review, Randy. You make a salient point about being protected from enforcement while your business was struggling. Most people understand the value of having a tax liability resolved--in your case for significantly less than you owed. However, when a business is struggling, sometimes just being able to operate free from enforcement is what is needed to keep the business alive. It is hard to put a price tag on the ability to live to fight another day. We put a huge amount of emphasis on reducing or eliminating the chances of enforcement against all of our clients. In fact, the name "Fortress" was derived from our commitment to keeping our clients safe. We're delighted that we were not only able to keep you safe during difficult times, but that we were able to reach a very favorable settlement for you once you were able to get into compliance.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I saw Fortress Financial on a website and contacted them in regards to a tax matter. The rep was very good and it was one-on-one, so I didn’t have a bunch of different people calling me. The cost was fair and they took care of my matter. I've worked with Fortress Financial on two different occasions and the same attorney who helped me years ago was still there and helped me again this last time.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I knew somebody that had worked at Fortress Financial and I also knew someone in the family of the attorney I worked with so I felt comfortable. Everything went smoothly and the cost was fair.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Fortress Financial reached out to me when I was seeking help with my tax issues. I then got consulting services from them. They were professional and quick in calling back. Eve, my rep, was good to work with, prompt and followed up well. I liked her personality and attention to detail.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you Justin for your business and your feedback! We are thrilled that you were happy with our services!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I got a solicitation based on tax claimed files from Fortress Financial that I followed up and I talked to several different companies before I chose them. I reached out to them, and Peter and Coby were very good. I really liked Peter and his staff. I used them for some personal items as well in conjunction with corporate issues. It was a discussion about our options as a company. I'm not the owner of the company but I've made recommendations to Coby, the owner of it.

There was a walk-through over the process in what they thought they could do for us and then how best to handle it. There was quite a bit of back and forth and we ended up closing the company as part of the process. The process went on through several years of negotiations with the IRS and asset disposal. It is currently uncollectible but Fortress Financial negotiated the whole way through to the end. I would highly recommend them and Peter. His staff, who we worked with closely, were very professional, straight-spoken, easy to get a hold of and responded quickly to things as they were happening. Overall, Fortress Financial was also very professional, attentive, and knowledgeable.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Fortress Financial helped us out of a pretty good hole we had gotten into with IRS, took a number of years to get it done, but that was more my fault than theirs because they stayed on the proper step. Then we had, IRS switching things around and moving it from one place to another place. We lost a couple of years in that by itself by them saying this has been moved from point A to point B because we’re overloaded in point A. But Fortress recommended to me and advised me in the direction we needed to go. I went with that and we got an offer and compromise approved and I paid everything and got clear and free.

I had a young lady that called me representing them. They had the direct approach and sounded honest. I had easily a dozen calls from various companies wanting to do the service. The initial call was just, “Hey, we’re here to help. We’d like to help.” It was a bit personal relationship I built with that, and Mr. David was extremely knowledgeable and just his expertise is what guided us through everything. He was very professional, honest and straightforward. He told you like it was. He didn’t sugarcoat it a bit. He even told me, “Here’s what I feel like and here’s what can happen.” The goods and the bads. He still left that decision up to me. He didn’t make it for me, but he gave me all the pros and cons to make the decisions that we wound up making and the result was very beneficial and it worked out really great. He saved us a considerable amount of money to boot.

Once we got everything settled, it took about a year for them to get everything straightened off and approved. We went through so many different agents because I get switched a lot. I contributed more to confusion and starting over a lot. David and their reps kept on top of it. The supervisor kept me posted on everything. I was relieved that I finally had burdens off my shoulders because the IRS is one burden you don’t want to have on your shoulder because they don’t go away. You realize you have a problem with those guys, they’ll find out where you get out. We persevered and we were able to get through everything and come out on. David and Fortress did an excellent job.

They also had recommended the offer and compromise where I had several companies, say, “You don’t want to go that way. You need to do it our way.” I put faith and trust in David and he did what he said he would do. I even called a couple of the other companies and they were cut up and rude. I told them, “Hey, I can get good guys,” and sent him a letter proving it. They needed to know that they need to react a little bit more like Fortress did, just straight up honesty and not trying to grab a customer and trying to tell stories to get them switched when they go to them.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much, Jerry, for your business and for your detailed feedback! We do pride ourselves on our honest, straightforward approach. There are plenty of other tax resolution companies who will tell the client what he or she wants to hear. While this might boost their short-term sales, it is a disservice to the client. We believe that doing the right thing over and over regardless of our bottom line is the key to long-term success. We are so glad we were able to reach a favorable settlement on your behalf!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Fortress Financial has done a good job so far. At that time, I was looking for different folks who can help resolve some tax problems, and somehow, I was referred to them. I got a person from Fortress Financial on the phone right away and they talked to me. Plus, even the key people were very receptive instead of just passing us off to a paralegal. It was good and I felt comfortable talking to them. My issue is ongoing but it’s been resolved. They have gone through the proper channels and steps. I wouldn’t have known how to do all that stuff and it was just a nightmare. Even when there was something I wasn’t sure about, they made me good on it.

I have had a good experience with everyone, from the young lady that answers the phone right on up the chain. If I or my wife have any questions, they are willing to take the time. Even if sometimes the questions are basic or redundant. However, knowing that we don’t understand all that stuff, they have been really good about walking us through, even if repeatedly. I’m happy and would recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I reached out to Fortress due to back taxes. My rep was a nice guy and everybody that I dealt with has been very informative and helpful. They got transcripts of filing through the IRS and set up a dialogue with the IRS, but at that point in time it broke down. But they were helpful and I would recommend them.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Fortress Financial sounded like they'd be the best fit for us when I spoke with them. I had some basic communication about what they'd be providing for us and what we'd be paying for it. They seemed competent with the limited amount of stuff they did for us although they did less than we expected them to do. We thought our agreement was for more than what they did and they hit us with an additional charge before they would finish it. They told us early on that the fee would go up if we didn't provide information back to them in a timely fashion just because it would take them more time but we were extremely good about getting information back.

The scope of work didn't increase at all and we were in a tough position so we went ahead and paid them the extra money. They were also supposed to work on some penalty abatement which was part of their original proposal but they never did that. We had a fixed fee going in and the fixed fee went up while the scope of work went down. All in all, Fortress was qualified but it was not a good experience for us. I would never use them again.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you, Brian, for taking the time to share about your experience. We are sorry to hear that you were less than thrilled with our services. I would point out that there were at least a couple of things that significantly increased the scope of our work that you did not mention in your review. First, you were out of compliance with filings for approximately three months after we accepted your case. This made you ineligible for an installment agreement. During this time, rather than moving towards resolution, we had to play defense in order to protect you from enforcement. We negotiated two separate holds on enforcement during this time, which was work beyond the scope of your contract and also a delay in resolving your tax debt. More importantly, our records show that we undertook personal representation for both you and your father. Neither of these things were included in your initial fee. Moreover, we succeeded in preventing collections against both you and your father, and negotiated an agreement whereby neither you nor your father would have to pay the IRS a single penny, so long as your business adhered to the terms of the installment agreement that we negotiated on your behalf. We will reach out to you right away in an effort to address your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I had a problem with the taxes, and I got some mail. I called several people. Fortress Financial gave me a call. But they didn't do anything much for me. They charged $2200 to fix my tax problem but I still had to resolve the matter for myself.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience, Inderpal. Our records show that we represented your business 7 years ago, and your recollection is at odds with our records. According to our records, we successfully negotiated an installment agreement with the state on your behalf. We also spent 30 hours of Fortress staff time accomplishing this. Thus, it is inaccurate to state that we "didn't do anything much" for you and that you had to "resolve the matter" for yourself. We will forward you a statement detailing the work that was performed, and will also reach out to you in an effort to address your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have tried for several years to work out a tax issue with the State of Oregon. They would ask several times for me to resend information, then I would talk to an agent who could/would not take a payment, then after they finally did manage to get some sort of online payment, it was virtually impossible to log in. after they had "repaired" the software, I would set up automatic withdrawals which were never taken out. Then the account was sent to collections. After years, literally years, of frustrations, I decided I had to get an attorney. Then I learned that Oregon would only work with Attorneys licensed in Oregon. After numerous phone calls, I eventually found Fortress Financial Services. They completed in a few months what I could not complete in several years. I cannot say enough about Fortress. They are committed to what they do and produce results. I'm sorry I didn't find them several years ago. Life would have been a lot more simple.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

After I called Fortress Financial and talked to the guy, they made all the promises of the world and I thought I could trust them but they were crooks. From the beginning, they knew they couldn’t do Ohio taxes yet they went ahead and took my money. I had to pay them $2,500 but they even wanted a phenomenal fee like $5,000 saying they might be able to take care of my federal taxes. In the forefront, they were real courteous. But after I found out that they couldn’t do the taxes and the assessor talked to them, they told me there was nothing they could do.

I asked them to reimburse my money because I could put it back towards the taxes. But they said that after I hired the attorney firm, I forfeited that money. There was nothing I could do and I should have checked into it beforehand. I would never recommend Fortress Financial and I would never give them the time and day to talk to them.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

All feedback is important to us and we appreciate the time you took to tell us about your experience. We absolutely never accept money for a service if we know in advance that it is not a service that we can provide. We also have no record that you ever contacted management to request reimbursement of the fees that you paid. Fortress management is committed to doing the right thing, and encourages any client who is feeling anything less than 100% satisfied with our services to contact our managerial staff. Fortress management will reach out to you within the next two business days in an effort to make things right.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

One of my clients was having trouble with Internal Revenue so I reached out to Fortress Financial and they took care of it. The people that I worked with were fantastic. They went to bat for him, got his taxes reduced and I couldn't ask for anybody to help any more than they did.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Fortress Financial Solutions was not the first one I contacted to help me solve the issues I was having with my taxes. The other two companies spoke to me like it was a sales call. Fortress Financial solved the issues I was having with my taxes in three weeks. They made a few phone calls just to make sure that everything was okay. They didn't just do what they were supposed to do, they supported me further. And to date the customer service is great. They are very efficient and personable. They never made me feel like they're taking my money and then just leaving me there.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Anel, we're delighted to read your feedback about the stellar service you received from our caring staff! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the same outstanding service AND results to each and every one of our valued clients.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Once I signed with Fortress, they took care of things. Their rep, Laurie, was a gem and she did a fantastic job. Dave, my attorney, was always professional and good at explaining exactly what I needed to know. I had an interesting situation with the IRS at one point while we're in negotiation of a settlement agreement. My revenue agent took a wild hare and levied a lot of money from the corporation. Fortress got me some of the money back almost immediately then eventually I got all of it back. They stuck up for me in a big way and they saved me $5000 on the personal side and at least $120000 on the corporate side. It happened on a Monday and I had my money back on Friday. They're outstanding people to work with. I would recommend them to anybody.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Great feedback, Chip! We genuinely appreciate it and we're glad to hear that you were happy with our services!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Fortress Financial Services solved the issue that I was having with my taxes. Everything went smooth and all was great.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Fortress Financial was very matter-of-fact and I liked them. At first, they seemed to spend more time with me than others did so I stuck with them. We got to the process really quick and got it done. It drag out for three years but it still played out to my behalf and worked out very good. The statute of limitations ran out. The representative explained to me why, was able to close and all was done. There wasn't much legality work for me and working with them took care of itself. I was happy with the way the experience turned out.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I could not have ask for better results from Fortress. Each client is unique and comes with a different set of circumstances. They are well equipped to handle each and every client. Their staff is professional, courteous, and efficient. I highly recommend Fortress. You will not be disappointed.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for the review and your business!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I got in trouble with the IRS. I was getting ready to hire a company and Fortress suggested that I take a look into their background. When I did, I found out that one of the main people there was arrested for fraud. Even if I don't hire Fortress, I'm not hiring them. On the other hand, Fortress has an attorney handling my case all the time, not just like a legal person. The IRS officer we're trying to work with is being a hard-nosed. When he sets a date, it's that way or the highway. Stephen, the president, has suggested a couple of different strategies, and I told him that we're going to use them only as a last resort. I want to keep my business as is, as humanly possible and he is working with me on that matter.

One thing that seems a little bit fishy was when I first hired them, their attorney named Jeremy, started my case. I found out later that he was leaving the firm and they claimed he was going off on his own. But once he left, Stephen took over my case and that's when the ball really started getting rolling and things started happening. I don't know if Jeremey thought that I was not going to get a settlement or the firm changed him because the case wasn't moving and they needed someone with a little bit more authority. I'm happy that Stephen took over. He knows his stuff, he's doing what needs to be done and I'm very happy with his service.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for your review, Gabriel. There is (or was) another Fortress Financial Services, Inc. in the United States incorporated and located in a different state than Fortress, which is completely unrelated to this Fortress Financial Services, Inc. They are not a tax resolution company and they had various legal and financial problems. No one at this Fortress has been arrested for fraud, and we do criminal background checks on all new hires. We are glad to hear how happy you are with Stephen's work. Note that you had some compliance issues early on that prevented Jeremy from resolving your case, and also that the IRS was in enforcement mode when we took your case. Jeremy did get the IRS out of enforcement mode and was successful in getting levies released on your behalf. Note that our president, Stephen, oversees all Fortress attorneys and encourages any client who is feeling anything less than 100% satisfied with our services to contact him. We want every single one of our clients to be happy with our services!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I felt comfortable with the person I was talking to at Fortress FInancial so I got their services. We went over the problems I was having with the State Board and determined how they could help. I provided them with information and then they interceded on our behalf. We never got a resolution with them but the Board of Equalization agreed to negotiate with me directly instead of Fortress which got me where I needed to be, so I called it a win. They were adequate - they were working diligently and they had lots of contact with the BOE so I was happy with them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Nick and Steven handled our tax ordeal with grace and patience. We were beyond confused and frustrated. Nick and Steven were always available when needed. Answered questions with every bit of knowledge they had. I could not have done this without them!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

They handle my case as I was their only customer. They made me feel that everything was under control, and I did not have anything to worry about. The final outcome of my case was amazing. Less than a penny per dollar was paid to the tax agency. I would highly recommend them. David and Heather handle my case.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Management is delighted to hear your feedback. Thank you! While not all of our clients are eligible for such an amazing settlement, we do strive to provide each and every one of them with a 5-star customer service experience like the one you described.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

This service has given me my life back. The ability to release tax attachments and the ability to go on with my life while they negotiate a settlement with the IRS. Great service, great communication. I would recommend their services to everyone who has IRS issues.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. Company Information

taxfortress.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use