4.67/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Fortress resolves tax debts nationwide for businesses and individuals, including pennies-on-the-dollar settlements, affordable payment plans, and the elimination of penalties. We are the only significant national tax resolution firm where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney. This ensures that our clients repay the least amount of money possible to the government, and that they receive the maximum level of protection against enforced collections, including bank levies, wage garnishments, accounts receivable levies, personal assessments, and unreasonable deadlines or demands. Call us today for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, and be sure to ask about our money back guarantee.

107 Fortress Financial Services, Inc. Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 9, 2019

I contacted Fortress Financial. I read reviews and looked into each one. I checked the services they provided and tried to figure out which would be the best match for what I was looking for. I mainly did online research. They dealt with the IRS for me. I had been working on this situation for several years and was not getting anywhere. Once I talked with Fortress, I was a little hesitant after working on my own with this issue for a few years. But they were very open and explained things. They knew what to do in getting the relevant information across and what was important to be viewed and brought up and what wasn't. They took care of it. If I needed to send anything in or provide anything, they let me know. They kept contact.

It was a positive experience. Once I signed on with them, they let me know what I needed to do with anything and my issue was resolved sooner than 45 days. I was very happy and it cleared up my mind. The cost wasn't cheap. But if you weigh that out with what the IRS was saying we owed, which actually was wiped out completely, Fortress' services certainly was well worth it. They were really easy to work with and they gave me the guidance. They took charge and they knew what they were doing.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

We appreciate your business and your review, Jodi! You make a great point about the importance of knowing what NOT to bring up with the IRS...in many cases, that can be every bit as important as knowing what to bring up. We're delighted to hear that you were happy with our services!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2019

From my first contact with Fortress Financial, in Oregon, to the final outcome, I was impressed with their professionalism and desire to bring quick resolution to an IRS issue that was beyond my scope of experience. Whenever you have to deal with the IRS, especially when it comes to Business Taxes, it is sometimes necessary to enlist the help of an organization like Fortress Financial. If it were not for their comprehensive and thorough actions I am sure the outcome would have been devastating for me both personally and professionally. I would recommend them without hesitation. I have complete and total confidence in their ability to assess, react, and resolve any matter that is put before them. Fortress Financial helped and supported me through a situation I know would have had an adverse outcome had I not enlisted their professional services. I was highly satisfied with everything about this company.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for your review and for your business! Our staff enjoyed working with you and we are delighted with the outcome!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I had tax issues of $200,000 and I was getting bombarded with calls. So I wasn't gonna go with any of the companies. Fortress had called a few different times but I was going through a divorce so I didn't really make a decision. Then they called one day and the guy made sense to me. It was just the timing. They walked in and settled the whole thing for me. To talk to the IRS or anyone in state or federal is like a Chinese fire drill. You don't know who to talk to and one path sends you off to next then to the next. These guys from Fortress handled everything and they were excellent.

The guy who handled our account was a nice guy. When you owe a couple of hundred grand to the IRS, the state or the federal, people get nervous. But this guy came in, settled everybody down, worked out a payment plan and fixed it. They knocked out about 40,000 and finally, we paid the debt off. The situation worked out well and Fortress was also fair in what they charged for the service. I would tell others to listen to them and to tell them the whole story. They'll figure it out then you should do what they say. They know what they're doing.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Fortress Financial is a small firm and it seemed like I would get a little more attention from them than I would from somebody like Omni. Not only that, but the actual tax adviser, David, also contacted me before I even got started with the whole process. David and his team are incredible. They are the most phenomenal tax advisers. To not go with them would be absolutely insane. The process lasted a few years and it was excruciating. It cost a little bit of money but in the end, what it cost compared to what those people saved me is zero. But it's contingent on the user. Those people know what they're talking about and if you follow all their directions, they will get you off of a huge tax debt. The program was worth the cost, a million times over. I owed over $150,000 and they got me off for under $2,000. It was freaking phenomenal and life-changing.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

We love your review, Ian, and are so glad for the opportunity to change your life for the better! Thank you for your business and for being such a great client!

Original review: July 9, 2018

As a small company, we fell behind in our taxes due to a few contributing factors. Although we always had the intention to pay our taxes that were due, the IRS revenue officer did not make that easy for us. We felt as though he was basically setting us up for failure. We couldn't seem to get ahead and stay in compliance with the regulations that he placed on us.

Hiring Fortress Financial was the best decision we could have made. They not only cared about our situation, they talked to us as many times as we needed to in order to put our minds at rest. They worked diligently on our behalf and was able to get us a resolution that worked for everyone and allowed us to make payments that we could afford and not fall short again. During this, we had many levies that were issued in what seemed to be the worse possible time. Right when we had scheduled payments, they would levy which would cause our payments to be returned. It was a never ending rat race. They always worked hard to get the releases issued on our behalf. Without them, we could not have come to a resolution! Thank you especially to David ** and Sayward ** for your complete dedication and unwavering compassion.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Financial Services, Inc.?

Original review: June 21, 2019

I interviewed several tax resolution services. Fortress provided references. My experience with Fortress and their attorney, David **, matched up with the references. David guided me through what was a very scary situation with the IRS. And what was finally negotiated was fair. This is a company that can be trusted.

Original review: June 18, 2019

We had a wonderful experience with this company. David & Sayward were professional, knowledgeable, helpful & kind. Our goal was to get back on track & they were able to help & guide us to do that. We would highly recommend you contacting this company should you need help. We are very pleased with everyone we dealt with here but in particular David & Sayward.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2019

A Michelle from Fortress Financial called the company I work for several days ago. I knew it was a solicitation and asked directly if it was a solicitation. Michelle lied to me and said that it wasn't a solicitation. I asked if it was regarding tax matters and she replied in the affirmative. I then informed her that I was aware that her call, in fact, was to solicit business and asked her to put us on their "Do Not Call" List as I've been told to do by these tax resolution companies.

The reason for this negative review is because these companies, Fortress Financial included, are very aggressive with their tactics and flat out LIE and say they aren't soliciting business when they actually are. This needs to be stopped. I did record the conversation and can provide the recording if needed. Today, 6/07/19, I received another call from Fortress Financial even though I told them to put them on their Do Not Call list. I have a picture of the phone display showing they called today and recorded the conversation even though the person on the other line said nothing and just hung up on me.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

We apologize for the unwanted, repeat phone calls. Our policy is to stop calling anyone who doesn't wish to be called. If you provide me with your phone number, I will gladly have it blocked so that no one can call it from a Fortress line. You can also call Fortress, ask for a manager, and have your number blocked.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I contacted Fortress Financial when my small business tax liability became more than I knew how to handle. Working with David ** was the best thing that could have happened for me. Tax liabilities can literally ruin your life if left unattended by a professional that is acutely aware of the tax system. Don't be fooled by all the hype from other tax "services". Hire someone who went to law school, and specializes in tax resolution. David, and his lovely assistant Sayward, beautifully navigated my finances as well as my nerves throughout the entire process. They were able to negotiate my tax burden down from over $300k, to just $5k! If you want peace of mind in handling difficult tax situations, call Fortress Financial!

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for the glowing recommendation!

Original review: April 26, 2019

I had very challenges and complex tax issues. Sayward and David ** were very patient and persistent in unraveling my 5+ year tax history. They negotiated an great deal with the IRS and I am now free and clear of any liability. They were patient and compassionate. It's a liberating feeling and I am deeply grateful for their expertise and kindness. I would recommend them to everyone! Jannet

Original review: April 24, 2019

Everyone at Fortress Financial was amazing! They asked in-depth questions to determine my exact needs, dealt with the IRS on my behalf and were able to generate an AMAZING offer-in-compromise that has literally changed my life! They were always extremely prompt when answering any questions and have even checked up on me a few times after the fact. I cannot recommend them enough!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Based on my real experiences: I hired Fortress 3 years ago. It has been a slow process for them dealing with the taxation department for my debt. I was charged $3950 in the beginning according to the service agreement which was the 'bid for the work described'. However 18 months later they required an additional $3000 to continue providing service. I had to borrow that money to pay them and it got me no further along in my case. What has been accomplished is they represented me in a 'case determination' of which I was present as well, and they also submitted an Offer and Compromise. I am now 3 years with Fortress, there is contact from the taxation department for the past 2 years and the attorney I'm working with now has given up.

As a matter of fact today after reviewing my service contract I contacted him to question what's going on and he lashed out at me in a rude email telling me "if you want a quick solution just pay it off"! He said mean and inappropriate things to me including lies about 'your unrelenting and nearly weekly emails' - to which I researched my emails and I've sent him 3 emails in the last 4 months. And he said 'we have done all we can do' and 'our contract is for a service not a result'. So when you start asking the questions, this is the treatment you will get from Fortress.

You are looking at Fortress because you have a tax liability. You know how it feels to have it hanging over your head, affecting you every day, affecting your life, stopping your future in its tracks. Mine has been for 8 years, and I had hoped that Fortress would be the one to get this handled so that I can move forward in my life. I am so gravely disappointed to have spent all this money and time and still not have my case resolved. I believe they will not service my case any further as that email sounded like they were blowing me off for good. There are lots of glowing reviews on this site. I expect Fortress to respond to this review blaming me and the taxation department, and not taking any responsibility for letting this go on for so long. I want you to know all of what I have written here is true and real.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for bringing your concerns to our attention. We want all of our clients to be happy clients, and it appears that we've fallen short with you. To be clear, the "work described" in your contract was to set up an installment agreement and to abate penalties resulting from reasonable cause (see the first paragraph of your contract). We did experience delays early during the course of representation as a result of your efforts to secure a home equity line of credit. We also made a remote appearance before a tax court judge and succeeded in obtaining a continuance for an audit appeal on your behalf. Most importantly, after reviewing your financial information in depth, we offered to attempt to settle your tax debt via an Offer in Compromise which, if successful, will result in you having to repay only a fraction of your total tax debt. You agreed to this as well as the corresponding fees. These things were not a part of the "work described" in your contract with us (e.g. setting up an installment agreement). Your Offer in Compromise was prepared and submitted, and we have made repeated follow up calls in an effort to try to get a quicker response. We are simply waiting on the state of Nevada to review, respond, and hopefully approve your settlement. Your case remains open, and we have by no means given up! Even though we've spent significantly more time than that for which we have been paid, we are not requesting additional fees. We realize that Nevada has been slow to respond, and that this is frustrating. Your attorney did explain to you that there was nothing more that we could do (that we hadn't already done), but that was in the limited context of trying to get Nevada to respond more quickly. They will eventually respond, and we are as optimistic as we've ever been about reaching a very favorable settlement on your behalf. We will have a manager reach out to you within the next two business days in an effort to address your concerns and, hopefully, make you a happy client.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was seeking help with the IRS and David was my attorney with Fortress Financial. They put a freeze on what my debt was and since they were able to negotiate that, they roughly gave me a few years to pay it off. I was happy.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Before deciding on this company for my tax problems I researched and spoke to a representative. I felt very confident once I chose Fortress Financial as they are extremely knowledgeable and thorough in their explanation as to what was expected from me and what services they would provide for me regarding my tax issues.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post this review! We pride ourselves not only top-notch tax representation, but also on providing excellent customer service. We're thrilled to hear that we hit the mark with you!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I researched three companies (including Fortress) before making my final decision. I was looking for a reputable company with a good track record to ensure my IRS problem would be handled in an efficient and effective manner. Fortress did, exactly, what I wanted them to do for a reasonable price. Sayward was the best person I could have had to navigate me through one of the most stressful period in my life, offering assurances each and every step along the way: And, of course, my attorney did the same. I'd highly recommend them for anyone who faces having to deal with a complex, highly stressful confrontation with the IRS.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Peter and Karlin did a wonderful job for my business and I am very happy with the outcome. They were able to get us into an installment agreement with the IRS that I could afford. I would give them 6 stars if I could. Thank you!

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for your business and your review! Our staff really enjoyed working with you and we're thrilled with the results!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I cannot say enough about how professionally my business was took care of and resolved, it was no doubt the most stressful time in my business career, Fortress Financial took and ran with it, my tax problem is now in my past. David, Sayward and Lori were excellent to work with, there is no doubt in my mind who I would recommend to anyone needing help, too bad the rating goes only to 5 stars, they deserve a 100 star rating. Signed "couldn't be more satisfied".

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Signing up with Fortress Financial was very easy and I worked with them for eight months. Their tax attorney was very forthright and easy to work with. Fortress Financial helped me fix my problem. They negotiated with the state of New Jersey to correct an error that they had in their records. However, their cost was a little expensive for the two phone calls that were made on my behalf. It could have been a little more reasonable in price. Nevertheless, they did a great job for me and they helped me to clear something up so I could refinance my home.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for your review and for your business! Our staff very often does a substantial "behind the scenes" amount of work that is invisible to our clients. We're always happy to provide an accounting of the staff time and actions taken on behalf of a client upon request. We're thrilled that we were able to resolve your tax issues and put you in position to refinance your home!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We were having tax issues so we contacted Fortress Financial and they did great. We suffered hard times during the crash and we have been able to hold on and pull through, but not without damages. Bu we felt comfortable with Fortress. They came across as honest. They made arrangements, and assisted us in lowering and setting up the payment plan. They also negotiated payments with IRS and made it easier to deal with them. The attorney we worked with was timely and thorough. He’s somebody you’d wanna work with. They were prompt in general and returned phone calls and emails. It was an excellent experience/

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Fortress Financial took the red tape of dealing with the IRS away. We had been bogged down in the machine for several years without resolution. David ** secured an excellent resolution of our complex matter in a very short amount of time. Very friendly staff and easy to work with.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

I know that our staff really enjoyed working with you, and we're delighted that we were able to help you out of such a difficult tax situation. We appreciate your business and feedback!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Our situation with IbleRS had long and complex history. After much correspondence, written, telephone, agents, the course had not led to either clarity or resolution. Worried about that. Once turned over to David ** of Fortress, and his assistant, Heather **, we've achieved a reasonable and workable approach. Gave voice, reliable feedback, and effective action. Very satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My wife found Fortress Financial for us. We had a situation that got me a CNC, Currently Not Collectible, and the government went after her for fraud and I was in deep doo-doo with the IRS. Fortress Financial's rep was excellent. He answered all of my questions. Fortress Financial only needed a payment to pay off the IRS and they were very flexible in working with us with our payment plan. The cost was outstanding. The amount that I owed the IRS and the amount that their rep got the settlement for was unbelievable. At this point, I'm done with them and my experience was very good. In fact, their rep is still very diligent in taking care of me because I still have them on a retainer after all these years of being settled. They need to keep doing what they're doing because they do it very well.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Fortress Financial was a personal referral and they helped me in offering compromise type representation. I had a good communication with their tax attorney and they delivered what they promised. Peter represented all the options and gave me good counsel. He did a good job for me and then it was up to me to select what was gonna work for us. The advertisement of the process of offering compromise is overrated but the cost was fair and it was a good experience. I would recommend Fortress Financial in the future to folks that I come in contact with in a similar situation.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for your business and your recommendation!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Fortress Financial is the right place to go to if you're stuck in a bad tax situation. When I started with them, I spoke to David and he was very knowledgeable with the situation. He was also very friendly and professional. The people I've dealt with have taken good care of me as well. They're very professional, friendly and prompt. They communicated very well with me and got me set up on all the plans necessary. They were definitely on my case and all the transactions were smooth. They updated me on the situation and kept me up-to-date with my payments. I'm already almost paid off now and I'd recommend Fortress to anybody else who is in my situation.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for your business and your review, Robert! The level of service that you describe is what we strive to deliver every time to every client. We appreciate being given the opportunity to help you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I had a little trouble with my tax, I was going through a divorce and it was hanging over my head. I heard that Fortress Financial helped other people out. A close friend who has worked with them gave me their name and I reached out to them. I’ve been working with two people and they were very professional. Anytime I had a question and somebody was out of the office or was after hours, I got a call back within 24 hours. Fortress is setting up the payment plan with IRS now and they’re working on it. They're very fair, honest, upfront and very reasonable. So far, they have been great and hopefully, it works out for me. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: July 24, 2018

We saw that Fortress Financial's reviews have been positive and we reached out to them. There were back taxes, including the lien, and they were able to take care of our debt. It took me a year and a half and they were able to get rid of about $150,000. They were very professional and great to work with. I would refer them. If you need to, give them a call and they'd help you.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much Angela! You are correct that you can just pick up the phone and talk to one of our tax pros for no cost. If we don't think we can help you, we will not take your case (or your money). If we do think we can help, we'll give you a proposal outlining a strategy and cost and then it's up to you whether you would like to proceed. There is a very good chance you will learn something helpful even if you don't wish to proceed due to the fact that our tax pros are seasoned and know their stuff. We love helping people and would love to hear from you if you are reading this and owe taxes.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I can only say great things about this organization and its people. They were diligent from the beginning till the end. These folks are truly amazing. Thank you for getting the IRS monkey off my back!

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for your business and for your kind words! Our staff really enjoyed working with you and we're thrilled that we were able to get that monkey off your back!

Original review: June 26, 2018

Fortress helped set up two Installment Agreements for me. The second, after I had defaulted on the first one. They managed to obtain a low monthly payment, that I could afford. I am happy with their work. I worked closely with Heather ** and David **, the attorney.

Original review: June 16, 2018

The staff at Fortress Financial have been really great at helping me resolve several of my tax issues and developing an overall short-term strategy to keep me in compliance. I'm extremely impressed at how fast they respond to emails or phone calls to help their clients. I've had a terrific experience with Fortress Financial and would definitely recommend them to handle any tax issues.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Working with Peter ** & Karlin ** at Fortress Financial has been a wonderful and calming experience. I truly felt like they have had my best interest in mind over the entire duration of my business relationship with them. As a former small business owner during a time when the economy was not forgiving, dealing with the overwhelming stress of tax debt can be debilitating. They took over the conversations with the IRS agent and helped me to come to a resolve with the agency. I appreciate their hard work, professionalism and communication, and their continued commitment to my personal welfare. Thank you Fortress!

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you Brian! We're so glad that we were able to help relieve your stress and resolve your tax issues.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. expert review by Andrew Poulos

Fortress Financial Services offers tax resolution solutions to protect things like your bank account, business and personal assets and wages from levies, garnishments and seizures. They’ll help you identify a solution that requires the lowest repayment or settlement amount.

• Offers in compromise: Fortress Financial can help you settle with the IRS or state taxing authority for less than the full amount owed. They can help you prove things like doubt of collectability, or demonstrating you can’t pay the amount owed in full, and doubt of liability, or establishing doubt as to whether the taxes should be owed.

• Penalty abatements: Fortress Financial can help you establish “reasonable cause” so you can qualify for an Abatement of Penalties. Your lawyer will make sure the written request is correct and covers the necessary facts and persuasive legal arguments to obtain an Abatement of Penalties.

• Installment agreements: Fortress Financial can help you reach a fair installment agreement with the IRS and make sure your agreement doesn’t fall into default. They will make sure your monthly payments are ones you can easily afford.

• Innocent spouse: Fortress Financial will work with individuals who qualify for Innocent Spouse Relief. They can help prove whether it's unfair to hold a spouse liable for back taxes.

• Appeals: Fortress Financial has years of experience working with the IRS appeals system. They can help you file for the two main avenues of appeals: Collection Appeals Program (CAP) and Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP).

• Best for: anyone who owes the IRS back taxes.

Profile picture of Andrew Poulos
Andrew Poulos Tax Relief Contributing Editor

Andrew G. Poulos, EA, ABA, ATP, is principal of Poulos Accounting & Consulting, Inc. in Atlanta, GA where he works with individual and business tax clients and represents clients before the IRS and state labor agencies. A self-made entrepreneur and real estate investor, Andrew is an author, national speaker and nationally syndicated tax software expert.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. Company Information