Call toll free
(855) 971-1943
4.71/5
Based on 67 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Fortress resolves tax debts nationwide for businesses and individuals, including pennies-on-the-dollar settlements, affordable payment plans, and the elimination of penalties. We are the only significant national tax resolution firm where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney. This ensures that our clients repay the least amount of money possible to the government, and that they receive the maximum level of protection against enforced collections, including bank levies, wage garnishments, accounts receivable levies, personal assessments, and unreasonable deadlines or demands. Call us today for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, and be sure to ask about our money back guarantee.

79 Fortress Financial Services, Inc. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

The staff at Fortress Financial have been really great at helping me resolve several of my tax issues and developing an overall short-term strategy to keep me in compliance. I'm extremely impressed at how fast they respond to emails or phone calls to help their clients. I've had a terrific experience with Fortress Financial and would definitely recommend them to handle any tax issues.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Working with Peter ** & Karlin ** at Fortress Financial has been a wonderful and calming experience. I truly felt like they have had my best interest in mind over the entire duration of my business relationship with them. As a former small business owner during a time when the economy was not forgiving, dealing with the overwhelming stress of tax debt can be debilitating. They took over the conversations with the IRS agent and helped me to come to a resolve with the agency. I appreciate their hard work, professionalism and communication, and their continued commitment to my personal welfare. Thank you Fortress!

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you Brian! We're so glad that we were able to help relieve your stress and resolve your tax issues.

Original review: June 14, 2018

It's been a long, tough 6 years and I got behind in my taxes. I had a payment plan with the IRS, but to do accountant error, the plan was revoked. I called Fortress Financial and John and Janet have been the most helpful in getting me back on track with the IRS. Would I recommend them? Absolutely!

Original review: June 13, 2018

Fortress Financial looked out for our best interest and helped us through negotiations with the state on the amount of back taxes to be paid. Fortress Financial was responsive at all times and knowledgeable. They explained the process thoroughly and in detail at times so that we understood exactly what was required. If a similar issue arose again I would consult Fortress first. Highly recommend.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Your business and your thoughtful review are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Original review: June 12, 2018

We were completely out of money ready to shut our doors due to our factor company quitting on us due to extended IRS issues. We called Fortress as a last ditch effort to get some help on a recommendation from an associate. Like most tax relief companies, Fortress wanted a sizable cash deposit to begin working on our case. Unlike other companies, Fortress was still willing to work with us after I explained that all of our cash was tied up with a factor company. They accepted a small cash deposit with a promise to pay the remainder at a future date after they delivered an IA as promised.

Within a few days they had delivered a proposed IA from our revenue officer that I was able to deliver to our factor company to get funds released. I then had to switch factor companies and Fortress was able to deliver a subordination agreement to meet the needs of our new factor company within a few weeks. Fortress has continued to monitor and help us through a change in RO, paperwork delay with the IRS and personal trust fund tax assessments. They have been amazing to work with. I would highly recommend their service to anyone with a tax problem. The fee we paid them was worth every dollar. We would not be in business without them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Financial Services, Inc.?

Original review: June 10, 2018

We had a tax issue. We contacted Fortress Financial and they returned our calls and answered our questions very quickly. So, we decided to deal with them. They were very good and very timely. They handled everything with the IRS and struck a deal which made the payments much more affordable for us. They seemed to be very trustworthy, too.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you Julie! We're so glad that we could help you and that you had a great experience working with our staff.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have had a great experience working with Fortress Financial thus far in resolving a tax issue related to an annuity. They have laid out all the steps along the way and have helped get me sufficient time to work to resolve the issue with the agencies in question.

Original review: June 8, 2018

This company far exceeds expectations. Steve, Nick and John ** are some of the finest negotiators in the business. They resolved numerous sensitive issues for me in a timely manner with clarity and with integrity. If you are looking for resolution to problems that will get worse if not addressed then this is the company for you.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Fortress Financial was recommended to me and I reached out to them a couple of years ago. And the experience has been really good.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 2, 2018

I had a fear with working with the IRS by myself. Fortress Financial contacted me and with their help, I got the IRS off my back for as far as trying to seize accounts for which I was grateful for. Then, Fortress Financial set up a payment plan so I could just continue on working without the fear of seizures. For the most part, I was pleased with their reps. But they didn't fulfill all of what they told me during our initial conversation and their marketing firm promised more than they delivered, so it cost me more than I thought. I wasn’t very pleased about that but once you’re into them, you’re kinda stuck. I would encourage them to give more details of what they’re gonna do in writing than verbally.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for sharing about your experience, Kreig. I'm glad that our staff was able to stop enforcement for you and get you set up with a payment plan with the government that you could afford. However, I'm troubled by the fact that you feel like you were promised more than that which was delivered. We truly strive to deliver exactly what we promise with each and every client. The precise terms of each agreement are set forth in the Service Agreement, which is signed by each client. We've also really tried to make our Service Agreements straightforward, without a bunch of legal jargon, and easy to understand. On top of that, we have at least one staff member go over these terms with our clients over the telephone, and we often do that twice. We will have a manager reach out to you within two business days to see if we can make things right with you. We do appreciate your business and your feedback.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I needed tax solutions so I reached out to Fortress Financial. I liked what they had to say and how they answered my questions. Signing up with them was excellent. It was very easy and not confusing. They kept me in communication with my tax problems and kept me guided through each step that is needed that the regular person doesn't understand because the tax codes are so confusing. If you take a 10-step process, every step that they have taken me through has been one step at a time and made me understand each step and feel comfortable with the choices that I made with them. Everything was good.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

We appreciate your business as well as you taking the time to share about your experience. Thank you!

Original review: May 3, 2018

My experience with Fortress Financial went as said. I called them and they were representing me on some tax issues. It's been five or eight years since I signed up with them and I was okay with everything they did for me. It did not take very long for someone to reach out to me when I had questions. Fortress Financial helped me set up a payment plan with the IRS but since then, I failed on the program because I ran out of money. Nevertheless, the cost of the program was fair and they gave me a lump sum that I had to pay. I'd call them again in the future.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Fortress Financial helped us with some corporate tax issues. My husband initially took the call from them. They were aggressive, but they were also good about following up and presenting things. Signing up was easy and the tax attorney was very professional, informative, and good at what he does. He is very "black and white." He explained what was happening and why things were happening. He was also very good about answering my questions. He took forever to get a resolution, though.

It took a long time and I felt like that was more of the IRS. However, from the very beginning, we hired them to help us with federal state and local tax issues that we had. Since they were not from our area, local tax issues were not their forte. Also, we were in Philadelphia and they were in Washington so he should not have said that he could help us with our issue because it never got resolved. Moreover, working in Philadelphia is a challenge, even being in Philadelphia. They definitely tried to do what they could for the state and the city. But unfortunately, we owed a large amount and there was not a payment plan unless we could put up a lump sum of money which we couldn’t do. And I don’t think that there was a resolution that we could’ve afforded.

We were able to set up a payment plan with the IRS. Because of how it worked, we set up one for the corporation and the savings were huge. However, we're still personally liable. Fortress came back and said that they could do an Offer in Compromise for me personally. Even though our corporation is on a payment plan, we personally have to be on a payment plan for the same debt that was owed. Still, I've referred Fortress Financial to the payroll company. They had some customers that were having the same issue that we had, and Fortress is great at resolving federal tax issues.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience working with our staff, Laura. I suspect that you are correct that the delays in getting your case resolved were due to the IRS, as that is usually the case when resolution takes an unusually long time. We do strive to move all of our cases along as quickly as can reasonably be expected given their circumstances. Unfortunately, there are times when the IRS can be very slow, and there isn't a lot that we or anyone can do to make them move more quickly (yet, when they want something from a taxpayer, they usually give them very little time). During the times when the IRS is slow, we almost always will have some kind of mechanism in place to protect our clients from enforced collections.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I had a big job I was working on for my husband’s business and we had gotten behind in payroll taxes. Fortress Financial Solutions was able to help me get the time to get funds together that I needed to pay off the taxes. I didn’t get any reduction in the taxes, penalties or interest but they were able to stop the IRS from coming after me directly, and Fortress Financial worked with them instead of me having to deal with them. At that time, I couldn’t handle doing that, so that helped. They helped relieve pressure when I needed it relieved as it was during a stressful time for me. Fortress Financial was able to stop the IRS from calling me and I didn't have to feel like I have somebody breathing down my neck every minute of the day.

The guy I worked with would just call me whenever he needed something. If I had a question, I would just call him. Usually when I called him, I would have to leave a message then he would call me back when he had a minute. Using Fortress Financial worked out great and they’ve actually helped me twice. They told me that one of the reasons that it worked out so well was because when they asked for something, I got it for them and when I needed to pay something, I paid it. They’re an honest company. Their rep didn’t lie to me and tell me he was going to get all those things taken care of. It was an honest relationship. I told him what I had problems with, he told me this is what’s going to happen and that’s what happened.

I would recommend Fortress Financial Solutions. A lot of people say they’re going to reduce your taxes and they’re going to do this and that for you. Don’t go into it thinking that they’re going to give you the loan. Just go into it knowing that you have a problem, you have to figure it out, and you have to help work it out with them. They can help you with the laws and with the skills in order to give yourself time. There are lots that we don’t know that they know, that they can help you with.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Fortress Financial handled my case and it stopped the collecting calls. They worked with me on the payment plan. It ended up being an installment agreement, so it was fine. My tax attorney was very good and detailed. They were able to get a resolution in place, but I was expecting more of a financial turnout that was less money from the IRS side. All in all, they represented me well. Fortress Financial has very knowledgeable people who are able to guide you in the right direction. I’ll recommend them.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you, Bud, for the recommendation and for your business!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I honestly could not be happier! I was contacted by the IRS in November out of the blue about an old debt that I could not afford to pay. I was completely caught off guard and very concerned. I did not have a lawyer and did not even know where I should go to find one. After doing some looking online I found Fortress Financial. I did some research, liked what I saw and decided to give them a try. I gave them a call and signed up. I didn't really know what to expect but things went very smoothly.

After I signed up, I got a call from David ** and he asked me some questions, answered mine and then explained the process to me. Long story short... I owed the IRS about $168,000 that I don't have and I no longer have to pay it. The IRS closed my case and I could not be happier. He and his assistant Sayward worked together and took amazing care of this situation for me. I was also able to make payments which really helped me. I highly recommend Fortress Financial. They are awesome and extremely efficient, knowledgeable and professional.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I looked at a set of different companies a few years ago. After talking with Fortress on the phone, they seemed like the most qualified and the readiest company to help me with my tax-related issue at hand. They did their job. They helped me set up an agreement with the tax agency. And I contacted them for some additional concerns that needed to be handled. There were numerous tax attorneys involved but it was a phone conversation or two that I had with them. The service cost wasn't the cheapest around but it was fair. Fortress Financial is worth talking to for people who have a tax issue.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Fortress Financial is the liaison between me and the IRS. I've been working with them for two and a half years now and I like them a lot. I liked their straightforwardness and they didn't seem like a machine, it seemed personal. They seemed honest and trustworthy. Their reps have been very honest, helpful, and knowledgeable. David was the attorney and heather was my main contact.

Fortress Financial has entered me into an installment agreement and we're working on an offer and compromise. We're not completed yet but we're getting close to being done. The service is not inexpensive but when we're done, it'll be very helpful to me. I'd definitely recommend them. They're definitely worth contacting and getting a consultation with.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

We were screwed over and we were seeking IRS help. Fortress Financial talked to my husband about that and we got an agreement. But then we both got sick. My husband has been in and out of the hospital for 16 months while I had a spider bite which I dealt with for close to two years. We wound up in arrears because there wasn't anybody to run our business, paid our bills like we did and knew how to do the taxes. My husband usually did it. We got behind and we couldn't pay our bills. We nearly lost our home and everything.

That all happened just last year and we're still in the process negotiating with the revenue officer. I filled out all the paperwork and got everything the revenue officer needed. But she has a personal problem and she hasn't gotten back with Fortress Financial and they've been trying to contact her. She's holding everything up and we're still waiting for the arrears right now. We're also trying to get some kind of offer and call them up. Other than that, whenever we call Fortress Financial, they get right back to us. They email, call and would stay in touch. I don't have to call them all the time. I would definitely recommend them to others.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I've been dealing with Fortress Financial since 2012. I called their 800 number and spoke to someone there. They then hooked me up with David the attorney. From then on, I sent them the information that they needed and we started establishing the relationship. I had an IRS issue with error taxes and Fortress has been really very helpful with all my issues. I don't regret choosing them.

I've been working with the same attorney since I started. David has been very professional and if he says something is going to happen, it does. He doesn't beat around the bush. What he can do, he can do and what he can't, he can't. But he always finds the options that can happen in order to take care of the issue. His communications are always courteous and every time I email him, he emails me back at a very reasonable time. I've referred him to quite a bit of client.

I'm 100% satisfied with the cost and service of Fortress Financial. They've been helping me resolve my issues so that's given me some space off my bag. They have already taken the issue at hand and that has been settled. They paid attention to me and their prices are reasonable. They weren't there to take my money. They are a true company that has helped me out.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

We are delighted to hear how pleased you have been with our services, Alex! Thank you so much for your business and for taking the time to share about your experience working with our staff. Value, integrity, great customer service, and excellent workmanship are what we strive to deliver to each and every one of our clients. Glad to hear we hit the mark!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Fortress helped us with our tax debt and their service was very poor. They only helped us draft the letter which I could have done myself had I known at that point. They should also lower their prices for people who are in the same situation as us.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

We pride ourselves on providing outstanding customer services, and are sorry to hear that we fell short of that with the handling of your case. Any Fortress client who isn't completely happy with our level of customer service is strongly encouraged to contact management. Excellent customer service is required of our staff. If that is not happening, management wants to know so that we can correct the problem. We will have someone from management reach out to you within two business days in an effort to make things right.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I was referred to Fortress Financial by a friend and they negotiated the payment agreement for me. Signing up was pretty easy. I just made a phone call and they pretty much told me what it was going to cost. I said okay and I sent them everything they needed and they took care of it. The process took more than a month and I finished the program last August of 2015. Dave was my tax attorney. The communication was great and explained all that I needed to do. Fortress Financial did great for what I paid them. They are very professional and very efficient.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I saw Fortress Financial on a website and contacted them in regards to a tax matter. The rep was very good and it was one-on-one, so I didn’t have a bunch of different people calling me. The cost was fair and they took care of my matter. I've worked with Fortress Financial on two different occasions and the same attorney who helped me years ago was still there and helped me again this last time.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I knew somebody that had worked at Fortress Financial and I also knew someone in the family of the attorney I worked with so I felt comfortable. Everything went smoothly and the cost was fair.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Fortress Financial reached out to me when I was seeking help with my tax issues. I then got consulting services from them. They were professional and quick in calling back. Eve, my rep, was good to work with, prompt and followed up well. I liked her personality and attention to detail.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you Justin for your business and your feedback! We are thrilled that you were happy with our services!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I got a solicitation based on tax claimed files from Fortress Financial that I followed up and I talked to several different companies before I chose them. I reached out to them, and Peter and Coby were very good. I really liked Peter and his staff. I used them for some personal items as well in conjunction with corporate issues. It was a discussion about our options as a company. I'm not the owner of the company but I've made recommendations to Coby, the owner of it.

There was a walk-through over the process in what they thought they could do for us and then how best to handle it. There was quite a bit of back and forth and we ended up closing the company as part of the process. The process went on through several years of negotiations with the IRS and asset disposal. It is currently uncollectible but Fortress Financial negotiated the whole way through to the end. I would highly recommend them and Peter. His staff, who we worked with closely, were very professional, straight-spoken, easy to get a hold of and responded quickly to things as they were happening. Overall, Fortress Financial was also very professional, attentive, and knowledgeable.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

Fortress Financial helped us out of a pretty good hole we had gotten into with IRS, took a number of years to get it done, but that was more my fault than theirs because they stayed on the proper step. Then we had, IRS switching things around and moving it from one place to another place. We lost a couple of years in that by itself by them saying this has been moved from point A to point B because we’re overloaded in point A. But Fortress recommended to me and advised me in the direction we needed to go. I went with that and we got an offer and compromise approved and I paid everything and got clear and free.

I had a young lady that called me representing them. They had the direct approach and sounded honest. I had easily a dozen calls from various companies wanting to do the service. The initial call was just, “Hey, we’re here to help. We’d like to help.” It was a bit personal relationship I built with that, and Mr. David was extremely knowledgeable and just his expertise is what guided us through everything. He was very professional, honest and straightforward. He told you like it was. He didn’t sugarcoat it a bit. He even told me, “Here’s what I feel like and here’s what can happen.” The goods and the bads. He still left that decision up to me. He didn’t make it for me, but he gave me all the pros and cons to make the decisions that we wound up making and the result was very beneficial and it worked out really great. He saved us a considerable amount of money to boot.

Once we got everything settled, it took about a year for them to get everything straightened off and approved. We went through so many different agents because I get switched a lot. I contributed more to confusion and starting over a lot. David and their reps kept on top of it. The supervisor kept me posted on everything. I was relieved that I finally had burdens off my shoulders because the IRS is one burden you don’t want to have on your shoulder because they don’t go away. You realize you have a problem with those guys, they’ll find out where you get out. We persevered and we were able to get through everything and come out on. David and Fortress did an excellent job.

They also had recommended the offer and compromise where I had several companies, say, “You don’t want to go that way. You need to do it our way.” I put faith and trust in David and he did what he said he would do. I even called a couple of the other companies and they were cut up and rude. I told them, “Hey, I can get good guys,” and sent him a letter proving it. They needed to know that they need to react a little bit more like Fortress did, just straight up honesty and not trying to grab a customer and trying to tell stories to get them switched when they go to them.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much, Jerry, for your business and for your detailed feedback! We do pride ourselves on our honest, straightforward approach. There are plenty of other tax resolution companies who will tell the client what he or she wants to hear. While this might boost their short-term sales, it is a disservice to the client. We believe that doing the right thing over and over regardless of our bottom line is the key to long-term success. We are so glad we were able to reach a favorable settlement on your behalf!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Fortress Financial has done a good job so far. At that time, I was looking for different folks who can help resolve some tax problems, and somehow, I was referred to them. I got a person from Fortress Financial on the phone right away and they talked to me. Plus, even the key people were very receptive instead of just passing us off to a paralegal. It was good and I felt comfortable talking to them. My issue is ongoing but it’s been resolved. They have gone through the proper channels and steps. I wouldn’t have known how to do all that stuff and it was just a nightmare. Even when there was something I wasn’t sure about, they made me good on it.

I have had a good experience with everyone, from the young lady that answers the phone right on up the chain. If I or my wife have any questions, they are willing to take the time. Even if sometimes the questions are basic or redundant. However, knowing that we don’t understand all that stuff, they have been really good about walking us through, even if repeatedly. I’m happy and would recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I reached out to Fortress due to back taxes. My rep was a nice guy and everybody that I dealt with has been very informative and helpful. They got transcripts of filing through the IRS and set up a dialogue with the IRS, but at that point in time it broke down. But they were helpful and I would recommend them.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Fortress Financial sounded like they'd be the best fit for us when I spoke with them. I had some basic communication about what they'd be providing for us and what we'd be paying for it. They seemed competent with the limited amount of stuff they did for us although they did less than we expected them to do. We thought our agreement was for more than what they did and they hit us with an additional charge before they would finish it. They told us early on that the fee would go up if we didn't provide information back to them in a timely fashion just because it would take them more time but we were extremely good about getting information back.

The scope of work didn't increase at all and we were in a tough position so we went ahead and paid them the extra money. They were also supposed to work on some penalty abatement which was part of their original proposal but they never did that. We had a fixed fee going in and the fixed fee went up while the scope of work went down. All in all, Fortress was qualified but it was not a good experience for us. I would never use them again.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you, Brian, for taking the time to share about your experience. We are sorry to hear that you were less than thrilled with our services. I would point out that there were at least a couple of things that significantly increased the scope of our work that you did not mention in your review. First, you were out of compliance with filings for approximately three months after we accepted your case. This made you ineligible for an installment agreement. During this time, rather than moving towards resolution, we had to play defense in order to protect you from enforcement. We negotiated two separate holds on enforcement during this time, which was work beyond the scope of your contract and also a delay in resolving your tax debt. More importantly, our records show that we undertook personal representation for both you and your father. Neither of these things were included in your initial fee. Moreover, we succeeded in preventing collections against both you and your father, and negotiated an agreement whereby neither you nor your father would have to pay the IRS a single penny, so long as your business adhered to the terms of the installment agreement that we negotiated on your behalf. We will reach out to you right away in an effort to address your concerns.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. expert review by Andrew Poulos

Fortress Financial Services offers tax resolution solutions to protect things like your bank account, business and personal assets and wages from levies, garnishments and seizures. They’ll help you identify a solution that requires the lowest repayment or settlement amount.

• Offers in compromise: Fortress Financial can help you settle with the IRS or state taxing authority for less than the full amount owed. They can help you prove things like doubt of collectability, or demonstrating you can’t pay the amount owed in full, and doubt of liability, or establishing doubt as to whether the taxes should be owed.

• Penalty abatements: Fortress Financial can help you establish “reasonable cause” so you can qualify for an Abatement of Penalties. Your lawyer will make sure the written request is correct and covers the necessary facts and persuasive legal arguments to obtain an Abatement of Penalties.

• Installment agreements: Fortress Financial can help you reach a fair installment agreement with the IRS and make sure your agreement doesn’t fall into default. They will make sure your monthly payments are ones you can easily afford.

• Innocent spouse: Fortress Financial will work with individuals who qualify for Innocent Spouse Relief. They can help prove whether it's unfair to hold a spouse liable for back taxes.

• Appeals: Fortress Financial has years of experience working with the IRS appeals system. They can help you file for the two main avenues of appeals: Collection Appeals Program (CAP) and Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP).

• Best for: anyone who owes the IRS back taxes.

Profile picture of Andrew Poulos
Andrew Poulos

Tax Relief Contributing Editor

Andrew G. Poulos, EA, ABA, ATP, is principal of Poulos Accounting & Consulting, Inc. in Atlanta, GA where he works with individual and business tax clients and represents clients before the IRS and state labor agencies. A self-made entrepreneur and real estate investor, Andrew is an author, national speaker and nationally syndicated tax software expert.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. Company Information