2. Tax Relief
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.75/5

Fortress resolves tax debts nationwide for businesses and individuals, including pennies-on-the-dollar settlements, affordable payment plans, and the elimination of penalties. We are the only significant national tax resolution firm where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney. This ensures that our clients repay the least amount of money possible to the government, and that they receive the maximum level of protection against enforced collections, including bank levies, wage garnishments, accounts receivable levies, personal assessments, and unreasonable deadlines or demands. Call us today for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, and be sure to ask about our money back guarantee.

BOTTOM LINE

Fortress Financial Services solves tax issues for individuals and businesses with $15,000 or more in tax debt. The process may be lengthy, but that's typical with the IRS and Fortress staffs experts in the field while maintaining a positive reputation.

PROS

• Cases handled by tax attorneys
  • Positive reputation
  • Negotiates tax burdens and settlements

CONS

• Must have $15,000+ in tax debt

Top Fortress Tax Relief Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Tax Relief?

I interviewed several tax resolution services. Fortress provided references. My experience with Fortress matched up with the references. [Their attorney] guided me through what was a very scary situation with the IRS. And what was finally negotiated was fair. This is a company that can be trusted.

Fortress did exactly what I wanted them to do for a reasonable price. Sayward was the best person I could have had to navigate me through one of the most stressful periods in my life. I'd recommend them for anyone who faces having to deal with a complex, highly stressful confrontation with the IRS.

Fortress Tax Relief Learn More

About Fortress Financial Services

Fortress Financial Services is a medium-sized tax relief firm helping individuals and businesses resolve tax enforcement issues and liabilities. The company is based in Oregon but operates nationwide with several out-of-state clients. Their licensed attorneys undergo more than 500 hours of training, allowing them to handle each case with the mastery expected from a seasoned professional.

Accreditations: Fortress Financial Services is a member of the National Association of Tax Resolution Companies.”

Fortress Financial Services

Fortress Financial Services offers a number of tax resolution services for the American taxpayer, including tax appeals, innocent spouse tax relief and review of tax transcripts. For complex cases, Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for a more personalized approach.

Services and results they provide include:

Offers in Compromise
For taxpayers who have difficulty paying the full amount of what they owe or have doubts as to the amount demanded, Fortress Financial Services helps with Offers in Compromise. Offers in Compromise allow taxpayers to settle liabilities for less than the full amount owed. There are three reasons why an American taxpayer may request Offers in Compromise, and Fortress can help you identify the right course of action for your situation.
  1. Doubts as to collectibility: The taxpayer must prove they’re incapable of repaying the full tax debt
  2. Doubt as to liability: The taxpayer demonstrates they’re not responsible for the total amount owed
  3. Effective tax administration: Due to hardship, the taxpayer and IRS come to a final settlement
Penalty Abatement
A Penalty Abatement reduces the amount you owe. Before the IRS can grant a Penalty Abatement, there needs to be “reasonable cause,” and Fortress Financial Services can help. With reasonable cause, it’s essential to state the facts as clearly as possible, using the law accurately and providing sound legal arguments.
Installment Agreements
With Installment Agreements, taxpayers agree to repay their tax debt in installments. Fortress Financial Services work with taxpayers to negotiate terms that are fair and financially reasonable. Installment Agreements are great for taxpayers who desire to avoid or are on the verge of default. Bank levies, wage levies, accounts receivable levies and, in serious cases, seizure of assets often follow a default.
Innocent Spouse Tax Relief
When filing joint taxes, there are times when one spouse may be found innocent of tax liabilities. In these cases, Fortress Financial Services can help spouses who meet the criteria with Innocent Spouse Tax Relief services. To be relieved of liability, individuals must prove they were unaware of the tax discretion. Those who don’t qualify for the Innocent Spouse Tax Relief may be eligible for “Equitable Relief,” wherein the IRS finds holding one of the spouses liable is unfair.
Tax Appeals
Fortress Financial Services help clients identify the best method for a Tax Appeal. The two main ways are through the Collection Appeals Program (CAP) and a Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP). If a taxpayer misses the deadline for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP), Fortress Financial Services helps them identify their eligibility for an “Equivalent Hearing.” Tax Appeals are effective for:
  1. Reversing government actions that negatively affect financial stability, such as wage or bank levy
  2. Prevention of IRS enforcement
  3. Coming to a favorable tax liability resolution
  4. Negotiating with the IRS for more favorable terms
  5. Presenting and disputing the amount owed
  6. Reviewing the actions and findings of the IRS
Creative Tax Relief Solutions
Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for taxpayers whose cases do not fit into one of these conventional tax strategies. Fortress Financial Services will work with you personally to identify the best plan. This might mean combining a number of different approaches to protect your assets and resolve tax liabilities.
Business tax relief
Fortress Financial Services also offers Trust Fund Recovery Penalties. Trust Fund Recovery Penalties are geared towards shareholders, officers, and employees who can be held liable for a company (corporation, LLC, or business entity) that fail to pay specific payroll taxes. These services help protect the assets, wages, and bank accounts of American taxpayers.

In addition to the major services listed above, Fortress Financial Services further personalize services based on an individual’s case. These include:

• Lien Withdrawal/Lien Avoidance
  • Sale of Asset Subject to Tax Lien/Certificate of Discharge
  • Subordination of Tax Lien
  • Tax Account Review/Review of Tax Transcript
  • Adjustment of Tax Liability/Correction of IRS Error
  • Currently Not Collectable Status (CNC)

How does Fortress Financial Services work?

When working with Fortress Financial Services, a licensed attorney specialized in back tax negotiations personally handles your case. The company prides itself on a high level of customer service; for example, as part of their customer service, clients can expect to hear back from employees within two business days. All of their representatives are available by phone, and the company does not use case managers. Any issues with the Fortress Financial Services team should be directed to their president, Stephen K. Galgoczy. If a client experiences the problem more than once after contacting Mr. Galgoczy, the company offers $100 in credit for future services.

Their mission is to help clients protect their assets – including (but not limited to) bank accounts, business assets, wages from garnishments and seizure. They also identify ways for taxpayers to save on their repayments and assist in finding settlements that are less than the required amount.

When dealing with the IRS, the licensed professionals at Fortress Financial Services use their extensive knowledge to help protect American taxpayers and persuade government officials to agree to new terms and liability settlements.

Fortress Financial Services cost and fees

Fortress Financial Services offers a free confidential consultation to discuss tax relief solutions and the assistance they provide. Service agreement starting cost varies and there may be additional fees throughout the process. They offer a full money-back guarantee within 24 hours of the initial attorney consultation.

Do we recommend Fortress Financial Services?

Fortress Financial Services provides American taxpayers with professional and licensed help regarding their tax relief resolutions. The company has a team of highly experienced and knowledgeable specialists, and your case will be handled by a seasoned tax attorney. Although Fortress has a track record of providing clients with favorable results, their fees and service agreements are, at times, unclear to some customers. For anyone dealing with more than $15,000 in tax debt or liabilities and is inexperienced in negotiating with the IRS, Fortress Financial Services can provide personalized and comprehensive tax solutions.

Fortress Tax Relief Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Tax Relief?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Fortress Tax Relief has provided us with services beyond compare! Our long-standing issues with the IRS and with California started years ago when I and several family members went through some serious health problems. In a span of 10 years, we had dealt with cancer, a stroke, my father passing away and making the difficult decision of placing my mom in an assisted living facility. We were emotionally and physically spent and filing and paying taxes simply were not my greatest concerns. Throughout this time, I did my best at running my business but, while the business did well enough, keeping up with all the filing and deposit requirements became increasingly difficult.

With our compounded tax problems, and having little to no success on my own, I didn’t know where to turn for assistance. I found Fortress Tax Relief and I am extremely happy with their service. My Attorney, Peter **, and his assistant Karlin, have been professional and kept us in the loop every step of the way. Peter provided solid advice, clear instructions and addressed all my concerns. Because of Peter, I can concentrate on my family and my business without worry. If you need somebody to help you sleep at night and take any worry away from the taxing authorities, call Peter at Fortress. His service to me and my company has been, and continues to be, superior!

Fortress Tax Relief response

Your story illustrates how difficult life can be WITHOUT tax issues. We hope that you and yours are in better health, and we're grateful that we were able to make a difference in our own small way.

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

My business and I developed tax issues due to mismanagement by my in-house accounting manager. I needed to resolve this issue with the IRS. I started researching for a reliable tax attorney and found out it is a very expensive and cumbersome process. Most attorneys would only quote what their hourly fee would be and needed thousands of dollars pre-paid. The potential cost and the whole process was overwhelming. Through my research I discovered Fortress Tax Relief.

The team at Fortress was very helpful in providing me detailed information regarding cost and the complexities of the process. I finally understood what needed to be done. Fortress quoted me reasonable fees upfront, reasonable payment terms and a strong comfort level that they would work hard to resolve my tax problems. I worked with David ** (Fortress tax attorney) and Heather ** (David’s assistant). They both did an excellent job! I am extremely happy with the level of communication and their professionalism. All my questions and concerns were addressed in a timely matter. No doubt their knowledge and experience made a difference. David and Heather are very accomplished with their skill and abilities. I highly recommend them and the whole team at Fortress.

Keith

Fortress Tax Relief response

What you describe--clear expectations on costs, clear communication, realistic expectations on results, professionalism, and outstanding customer service--is exactly what we strive for with each and every client. We're glad to hear that we hit these marks for you, and we thank you for your business!

Original review: July 17, 2020

Aloha, To whom this may concern. I Josh ** am writing this in regards to my experience with Fortress Financial and more importantly Art ** who took care of my business tax liability, but more importantly took care of me. Art is not only the best at what he does, he is kind, caring and compassionate. Yes he took care of the tax debt looming over my business head, but along the way he guided me, helped me and was there just to listen. I cannot thank Art and the Fortress team to get me out of a real tough spot. I will be recommending Art and Fortress to anyone who might need tax help. (I don't wish this on anyone) But if they're in a tough tax spot Art and Fortress Financial will be the ones they are calling. Thank you so much Art for all your help and guidance. I do hope one day we can meet and I can shake your hand. Thank you.

Josh

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thank you so much! Fortress is fortunate to have outstanding tax relief attorneys, like Art. We appreciate your business and your review!

Original review: June 10, 2020

Have you been faced with millions of dollars in federal and state tax debt, losing your business and going through a major unexpected divorce? My name is Frank **, CEO of PQC International, Inc., for over 15 years, and that was my situation. I researched three companies (including Fortress) before making my final decision. I was looking for a reputable company with a good track record to ensure my IRS and state tax problem would be handled efficiently and effectively. Peter did an excellent job settling my matter with the IRS and the state tax agency. He worked diligently and hard to get a result that worked for me to resolve my issue for the long term. Because of Karlin (Peter's Assistant), communication was amazing, and concerns were addressed right away with outstanding results. They both did an outstanding job.

I am extremely satisfied with the solution with federal and state tax agencies. Peter followed the case through to the end, and Karlin called and checked in on me every step of the way. Fortress is an outstanding tax resolution firm. They did their job, and my experience with them was off the charts. I will highly recommend Fortress to my family, friends, and others who need tax relief. Peter has become like a family member, and I truly appreciate him.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Our staff truly enjoyed working with you, Frank. Jumping for joy happy clients and spectacular results put huge smiles on our faces and make us eager to get out of bed every morning. Thank you for your business!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Art did an excellent job settling my matter with the IRS. He worked diligently and hard to get a result that worked for me to quickly resolve my issue for the long term. I would've have given 5 stars if my experience was solely based on my time with Art. I had another attorney assigned to my case prior to Art taking over. While he was working on my case, some of my funds were improperly seized by the IRS when I was on a payment plan. I am not sure who to attribute the error to but I do not feel that my matter was handled with as much care and skill at that time, as it was by my prior attorney and Art.

Fortress Tax Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to share about your experience working with our staff. The IRS will not seize funds while a taxpayer is on an installment agreement, and the correspondence that we received years ago from the IRS shows that the agreement you had at that time defaulted because you missed one or more payments. In any event, that's water under the bridge at this point, and we're glad to hear how happy you've been with Art. Thank you kindly for your business and your review!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

They were prompt, efficient and relieved the burden and pressure after our first contact with the company. They handled everything and made the stress fall away. We have already began to recommend their services to our friends.

Thank you Leroy!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

My wife & I ran in to a problem with the IRS & looked to Fortress Financial for help. Their communication was excellent. Responded to my questions within the same day most often & if they did not it was no later than the next business day. David & Sayward were amazing. They were available by email or phone. With their guidance the issue we had with the IRS was solved. The result could not have been better for my wife & I. I would recommend them to trusted friends as well as family 100%.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Art and his legal team were amazing guides helping negotiate both our business and personal tax debt. His calm and clear approach helped us to understand the process of resolution. They offered us solid advice in what seemed like a overwhelming debt. Thank you for taking the time to learn our circumstance and work to resolve a plan of repayment that was within our ability to pay.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thank you Kyle! We're fortunate to have great tax relief attorneys, like Art, on our staff and we're always delighted to negotiate agreements that have such a positive impact on the lives of our clients. We appreciate your business and your review!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I would like to express my positive experience with Fortress Tax Relief, I was in a situation that needed expertise in this field and David and Sayward made it possible with that experience, having Sayward taking my calls and answering questions just was a relief! Having David handle my requests and finding information was also a stress relief. Great Folks!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

David ** and Sayward ** with Fortress Tax Relief have been absolutely the best to work with! I would highly recommend them to anyone in need of help settling their tax debt with the IRS! At first I had tried to work directly with the IRS officer about setting up payments to take care of our tax debt and that proved to be a nightmare. Hiring Fortress Tax Relief was the best decision we could have made. It was such a relief to have them dealing with the IRS on our behalf and they have done an amazing job negotiating and monitoring everything along the way.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thank you for your business and your review! We're so glad we could help!

Fortress Tax Relief author review by Andrew Poulos

Fortress Tax Relief offers tax resolution solutions to protect your assets. It helps consumers identify a solution that requires the lowest repayment or settlement amount.

• Services: Fortress Tax Relief helps with offers in compromise, penalty abatements, installment agreements, innocent spouse relief and IRS appeals.

• Accreditations: A licensed tax attorney oversees all cases with Fortress Financial.

• Enrolled agents: Fortress Tax Relief does not employ enrolled agents.

• Minimum debt required: $15,000

by Andrew Poulos Tax Relief Contributing Editor

Andrew G. Poulos, EA, ABA, ATP, is principal of Poulos Accounting & Consulting, Inc. in Atlanta, GA where he works with individual and business tax clients and represents clients before the IRS and state labor agencies. A self-made entrepreneur and real estate investor, Andrew is an author, national speaker and nationally syndicated tax software expert.

Fortress Tax Relief Company Information

Formerly Named:
    Fortress Financial Services, Inc.
    1011 SW Emkay Drive, Suite 201