4.76/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Fortress resolves tax debts nationwide for businesses and individuals, including pennies-on-the-dollar settlements, affordable payment plans, and the elimination of penalties. We are the only significant national tax resolution firm where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney. This ensures that our clients repay the least amount of money possible to the government, and that they receive the maximum level of protection against enforced collections, including bank levies, wage garnishments, accounts receivable levies, personal assessments, and unreasonable deadlines or demands. Call us today for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, and be sure to ask about our money back guarantee.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

47 Fortress Financial Services, Inc. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I had a problem with the taxes, and I got some mail. I called several people. Fortress Financial gave me a call. But they didn't do anything much for me. They charged $2200 to fix my tax problem but I still had to resolve the matter for myself.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience, Inderpal. Our records show that we represented your business 7 years ago, and your recollection is at odds with our records. According to our records, we successfully negotiated an installment agreement with the state on your behalf. We also spent 30 hours of Fortress staff time accomplishing this. Thus, it is inaccurate to state that we "didn't do anything much" for you and that you had to "resolve the matter" for yourself. We will forward you a statement detailing the work that was performed, and will also reach out to you in an effort to address your concerns.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have tried for several years to work out a tax issue with the State of Oregon. They would ask several times for me to resend information, then I would talk to an agent who could/would not take a payment, then after they finally did manage to get some sort of online payment, it was virtually impossible to log in. after they had "repaired" the software, I would set up automatic withdrawals which were never taken out. Then the account was sent to collections. After years, literally years, of frustrations, I decided I had to get an attorney. Then I learned that Oregon would only work with Attorneys licensed in Oregon. After numerous phone calls, I eventually found Fortress Financial Services. They completed in a few months what I could not complete in several years. I cannot say enough about Fortress. They are committed to what they do and produce results. I'm sorry I didn't find them several years ago. Life would have been a lot more simple.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

One of my clients was having trouble with Internal Revenue so I reached out to Fortress Financial and they took care of it. The people that I worked with were fantastic. They went to bat for him, got his taxes reduced and I couldn't ask for anybody to help any more than they did.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Fortress Financial Solutions was not the first one I contacted to help me solve the issues I was having with my taxes. The other two companies spoke to me like it was a sales call. Fortress Financial solved the issues I was having with my taxes in three weeks. They made a few phone calls just to make sure that everything was okay. They didn't just do what they were supposed to do, they supported me further. And to date the customer service is great. They are very efficient and personable. They never made me feel like they're taking my money and then just leaving me there.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Anel, we're delighted to read your feedback about the stellar service you received from our caring staff! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the same outstanding service AND results to each and every one of our valued clients.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Once I signed with Fortress, they took care of things. Their rep, Laurie, was a gem and she did a fantastic job. Dave, my attorney, was always professional and good at explaining exactly what I needed to know. I had an interesting situation with the IRS at one point while we're in negotiation of a settlement agreement. My revenue agent took a wild hare and levied a lot of money from the corporation. Fortress got me some of the money back almost immediately then eventually I got all of it back. They stuck up for me in a big way and they saved me $5000 on the personal side and at least $120000 on the corporate side. It happened on a Monday and I had my money back on Friday. They're outstanding people to work with. I would recommend them to anybody.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Great feedback, Chip! We genuinely appreciate it and we're glad to hear that you were happy with our services!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Financial Services, Inc.?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Fortress Financial Services solved the issue that I was having with my taxes. Everything went smooth and all was great.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Fortress Financial was very matter-of-fact and I liked them. At first, they seemed to spend more time with me than others did so I stuck with them. We got to the process really quick and got it done. It drag out for three years but it still played out to my behalf and worked out very good. The statute of limitations ran out. The representative explained to me why, was able to close and all was done. There wasn't much legality work for me and working with them took care of itself. I was happy with the way the experience turned out.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I could not have ask for better results from Fortress. Each client is unique and comes with a different set of circumstances. They are well equipped to handle each and every client. Their staff is professional, courteous, and efficient. I highly recommend Fortress. You will not be disappointed.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for the review and your business!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I got in trouble with the IRS. I was getting ready to hire a company and Fortress suggested that I take a look into their background. When I did, I found out that one of the main people there was arrested for fraud. Even if I don't hire Fortress, I'm not hiring them. On the other hand, Fortress has an attorney handling my case all the time, not just like a legal person. The IRS officer we're trying to work with is being a hard-nosed. When he sets a date, it's that way or the highway. Stephen, the president, has suggested a couple of different strategies, and I told him that we're going to use them only as a last resort. I want to keep my business as is, as humanly possible and he is working with me on that matter.

One thing that seems a little bit fishy was when I first hired them, their attorney named Jeremy, started my case. I found out later that he was leaving the firm and they claimed he was going off on his own. But once he left, Stephen took over my case and that's when the ball really started getting rolling and things started happening. I don't know if Jeremey thought that I was not going to get a settlement or the firm changed him because the case wasn't moving and they needed someone with a little bit more authority. I'm happy that Stephen took over. He knows his stuff, he's doing what needs to be done and I'm very happy with his service.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for your review, Gabriel. There is (or was) another Fortress Financial Services, Inc. in the United States incorporated and located in a different state than Fortress, which is completely unrelated to this Fortress Financial Services, Inc. They are not a tax resolution company and they had various legal and financial problems. No one at this Fortress has been arrested for fraud, and we do criminal background checks on all new hires. We are glad to hear how happy you are with Stephen's work. Note that you had some compliance issues early on that prevented Jeremy from resolving your case, and also that the IRS was in enforcement mode when we took your case. Jeremy did get the IRS out of enforcement mode and was successful in getting levies released on your behalf. Note that our president, Stephen, oversees all Fortress attorneys and encourages any client who is feeling anything less than 100% satisfied with our services to contact him. We want every single one of our clients to be happy with our services!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I felt comfortable with the person I was talking to at Fortress FInancial so I got their services. We went over the problems I was having with the State Board and determined how they could help. I provided them with information and then they interceded on our behalf. We never got a resolution with them but the Board of Equalization agreed to negotiate with me directly instead of Fortress which got me where I needed to be, so I called it a win. They were adequate - they were working diligently and they had lots of contact with the BOE so I was happy with them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Nick and Steven handled our tax ordeal with grace and patience. We were beyond confused and frustrated. Nick and Steven were always available when needed. Answered questions with every bit of knowledge they had. I could not have done this without them!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

They handle my case as I was their only customer. They made me feel that everything was under control, and I did not have anything to worry about. The final outcome of my case was amazing. Less than a penny per dollar was paid to the tax agency. I would highly recommend them. David and Heather handle my case.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Management is delighted to hear your feedback. Thank you! While not all of our clients are eligible for such an amazing settlement, we do strive to provide each and every one of them with a 5-star customer service experience like the one you described.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

This service has given me my life back. The ability to release tax attachments and the ability to go on with my life while they negotiate a settlement with the IRS. Great service, great communication. I would recommend their services to everyone who has IRS issues.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Using this company and their expert services allowed me to be fully informed of my options and situation. Now I feel comfortable that my case is being monitored and acted upon so I can stop worrying and get back to work and handle issues when they contact me. I would recommend this company, and have, to family and business associates.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Feeling overwhelmed with your taxes, or past due amounts, leave it to the professionals at Fortress Financial to make arrangements on your behalf that are structured to your ability to pay, and get you back on track so Life feels Good again! Nick ** was exceptional with keeping me in the loop, following up on needed information, and whenever I had a question or a concern, would assist in a timely and professional manner. They would even remind me of those specific time-sensitive dates, to assure I’d stay in good standing... You'll find this company honest and helpful, and you'll find yourself in a good direction. Thank you Fortress!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Mr. ** and Mrs. H. ** have been very instrumental in handling our case and bringing closure to a complex case with an affordable payment plan. They are true professionals and take pride in what they do... we are forever grateful.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much, Mrs. Lomax, for your business and for taking the time to share about your experience. The gratitude is mutual!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I was a bit skeptical since the company was out of State and I was in Michigan. But all that was removed on the first conversation. I highly recommend this company. They kept my business protected and stopped enforcement. My only regret is that there were only five stars because they deserve more.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Fortress Financial helped us out a lot and we would recommend them to people. We were relieved as they have resolved our tax issues. They were knowledgeable and helpful. They also email when new things come up, and they saved us about 50 grand because they told us about a program that Obama came up with. I would use Fortress Financial again.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

We are grateful to you both for your business and for taking the time to share about your experience. So glad we were able to help!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I had a good experience talking to the lady that I called at Fortress Financial. She made me feel comfortable. I had some late taxes from my previous company and they help me settle that. They were quick to answer all my emails and calls, so I never had any issue getting in touch with them. Plus, they were always nice and very knowledgeable. It was delightful.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Great results and stellar service is what we aim for with each and every client. We're glad to hear we hit both of those marks for you, Thiago. Thank you for your business and for taking the time to share about your experience.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I had tax issues so I got referred by my tax lady to Fortress Financial. I had a horrible experience. I was referred to a specific person there and they said they were going to work out a plan with the IRS. The specific person left the firm without telling me and I had to call many times to find that out. They totally dropped the ball on my situation. And then the owner, the CEO of the company turned around. When he called me, he pretended to be just another attorney and wants to rehire, as if I had to pay him another $4000 he’s trying to gain. They didn’t handle my situation and I’m still trying to get it resolved. Don’t use them. They will milk for money and will not honor what they said they’re going to do. If I could, I would sue them for my bad experience.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Hello Kim. We sincerely apologize about your experience with our services. We appreciate your feedback and would like to make things right. Someone from our customer service team will be contacting you within 48 hours to help assist with your resolution.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I looked at several different competitors of Fortress Financial and I read the information on their websites. Fortress Financial Solutions seemed to know what they were doing regarding payroll problems. They know their work and they helped us out. They did a great job for us. As a matter of fact I've told them that they can send people to me for a referral. Over the years I've had at least 10 to 15 people call wanting a referral regarding them.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

We appreciate you taking the time to share about your experience working with our staff. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I feel very pleased with Fortress Financial. Their team were courteous and knowledgeable. They are pleasant and easy to work with.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Fortress Financial was supposed to do some work but they took the money and didn't do anything for me. They promised that there was some sort of a financial debt they're supposed to take care of. They said I had to give them $3,000 in advance and I did, after which, I never heard from them. It was an awful experience.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

I am so sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with our services, but appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. It was 7 years ago when we represented you. The notion that you gave us $3,000 and then never heard from us again is not accurate. We communicated with you more than 25 times after you hired us, and our records show that we responded to every one of your inquiries in a timely fashion. You hired us to get you on an installment agreement and to try to reduce your penalties. We secured an installment agreement for you shortly after you hired us. We prepared and submitted a very well-written penalty abatement request. It is true that the state denied our request for having your penalties reduced. However, the reason that they cited for denying our request was that you had lost on this same issue twice in appeals prior to hiring us. You did not disclose this to us before we accepted your case. While I can understand your disappointment in not having your penalties reduced, I truly believe that we did as good of a job as could possibly be expected under the circumstances. We will reach out to you within two business days in an effort to address your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I went with Fortress Financial Services because I liked what they told me when I called. Most of my interactions with their team's through email and they did everything I asked. I owe the IRS a lot of money and they got it. IRS accepted my offer and compromised, so it was good. I was really pleased after working with Fortress Financial. I'd recommend them.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience, and thank you for your business!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I had tax issues and I went online and checked out the recommendations. Fortress Financial did what we needed to do and set up a payment plan. The cost was fair and competitive with everybody. They were courteous and caring, and got everything done in a timely manner. Day to day has been a little bit less stressful after we took care of the problem. Fortress Financial was good and did what they said they were going to do for the price that they said they were going to do it. And the contact was there. I got a hold of them if I called them. Everything went as smoothly as it could.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I mistaken identified Fortress Financial as a tax company that robbed me of 10,000 dollars. So I am putting up this review because there is no way I know of removing or editing the original review. The services I received from Fortress were 100% satisfactory and I have no hesitation recommending them to my family and friends.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for sharing about your experience with Fortress. I'm sorry to hear about your awful experience with a different tax company, and appreciate you taking the time to set the record straight once you realized that we weren't them.

Resolution response: Sept. 25, 2017

I wanted to follow-up to Fortress' response as well as thank them for their follow-up and willingness to address the communication issues I experienced. I think nowadays, most companies are more interested in quantity rather than quality or want to sweep problems under the rug in the hopes they go away.

The fact that Fortress has gone so far out of their way for just one customer speaks to the value they place on their client. While I hope that I will not have to use Fortress' services again in the future, I can honestly say they have a customer for life and I wouldn't hesitate to refer any of my family/friends.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I hired this firm to assist me in dealing with unpaid back taxes and to help clear up an agreement I made with the IRS. In addition, I needed assistance in clearing up some penalties and fees. While the firm was able to clear up the small issue with the agreement within 1 phone call, I had to fight tooth and nail to get updates from them - and I only reached out once per month. Many times the phones and email accounts were not in service. The assistant to the lawyer never responded to my emails or phone calls - except once - and it took multiple emails (2-4) to the lawyer to get an update.

It has been almost 10 months since I hired the firm and today I received letters from the IRS denying the request to clear up the fees. I have yet to hear from the lawyer... And I've lost most confidence that I will. While I understand I am not this firm’s only client, I personally believe communication is critical and recommend consumers compare firms before they make a decision to hire a tax lawyer. I will definitely do better research and read all the reviews next time.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for bringing your concerns to our attention. We truly do strive to provide the best customer service (as well as quality of representation) in the tax resolution industry, and your experience fell short of our standards. There was a brief period last winter when our state-of-the-art equipment had some issues. That has been resolved. The particular assistant with whom you were working did not always deliver the level of customer service that we require. She was first disciplined, and, ultimately, replaced. Our current staff of assistants is top notch. Any Fortress client who is feeling anything less than 100% satisfied with our services is strongly encouraged to contact our president, who will do everything within his power to promptly address the client's concerns and make things right. While it is true that the IRS found no reasonable cause to abate the bulk of your penalties, we actually were successful in getting rid of about $1,000 in penalties via the First Time Abate Program. Management will reach out to you within the next two business days, and will ensure that the rest of your experience working with our staff is much, much better than your experience to date.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

We were referred by the company owner and his wife who had utilized Fortress Financial Services for a separate business from ours. The business relationship and the quote that we got was better with Fortress Financial over their competitors so we went with them. We have a lovely relationship with them now, like we're a family. Their team's amazing and my contact there's responsive, friendly, personable and timely. No one wants to deal with the IRS. But if I had to, I'd have them on my team. I would recommend them.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Your attorney missed filing some paperwork, that ended up allowing the IRS to file a tax lien of $220,000 on me and my wife. Incompetence at its highest. Very dissatisfied with Fortress. Wished I could get my money back. Big waste of my time and money. Wished I could rate you with a -5 stars.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Although it is untrue that the failure of our staff to file paperwork caused a $220,000 lien to be filed against you, we are glad that you brought this to our attention. We strive to make each and every one of our clients happy, and obviously didn't do so in your case. We will contact you privately in an effort to clarify any misunderstandings and to address your concerns.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

When I needed these guys, they were there for me. Though they were thousands of miles away, they worked on my case as if we were in the same town. My questions were answered, they kept me very informed and they made an awful experience tolerable. Thank you David ** and staff!

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. Company Information