toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We called Fortress Financial and they seemed really credible and nice. They helped us set up a payment plan and get some money back. It worked very well and I felt very comfortable. We usually call them if anything comes up or when we need any help. We would recommend it.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with us! We appreciate your business and grateful for the opportunity to be of service.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I had a business and the economy had gotten really tough on me after the 9/11. I got tax links from the IRS and it dragged out going back and forth with them for about 5 years. I got Fortress Financial's services and they did a good job. We tried to get documentations and information so it took long but they were honest and did their stuff in a timely manner. They were conscious of the “dollar clock” running so they didn’t needlessly run me around. They got the point and worked on the issue, and it was easy to understand them. There were two involved, a young lady who’s a paralegal and the actual attorney. They all kept good communication so the other knew what was going on if I got ahold of one.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

We appreciate you taking the time to share about your experience working with our staff. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I looked at several different competitors of Fortress Financial and I read the information on their websites. Fortress Financial Solutions seemed to know what they were doing regarding payroll problems. They know their work and they helped us out. They did a great job for us. As a matter of fact I've told them that they can send people to me for a referral. Over the years I've had at least 10 to 15 people call wanting a referral regarding them.

I feel very pleased with Fortress Financial. Their team were courteous and knowledgeable. They are pleasant and easy to work with.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

I am so sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with our services, but appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. It was 7 years ago when we represented you. The notion that you gave us $3,000 and then never heard from us again is not accurate. We communicated with you more than 25 times after you hired us, and our records show that we responded to every one of your inquiries in a timely fashion. You hired us to get you on an installment agreement and to try to reduce your penalties. We secured an installment agreement for you shortly after you hired us. We prepared and submitted a very well-written penalty abatement request. It is true that the state denied our request for having your penalties reduced. However, the reason that they cited for denying our request was that you had lost on this same issue twice in appeals prior to hiring us. You did not disclose this to us before we accepted your case. While I can understand your disappointment in not having your penalties reduced, I truly believe that we did as good of a job as could possibly be expected under the circumstances. We will reach out to you within two business days in an effort to address your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Fortress Financial was supposed to do some work but they took the money and didn't do anything for me. They promised that there was some sort of a financial debt they're supposed to take care of. They said I had to give them $3,000 in advance and I did, after which, I never heard from them. It was an awful experience.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience, and thank you for your business!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I went with Fortress Financial Services because I liked what they told me when I called. Most of my interactions with their team's through email and they did everything I asked. I owe the IRS a lot of money and they got it. IRS accepted my offer and compromised, so it was good. I was really pleased after working with Fortress Financial. I'd recommend them.

I had tax issues and I went online and checked out the recommendations. Fortress Financial did what we needed to do and set up a payment plan. The cost was fair and competitive with everybody. They were courteous and caring, and got everything done in a timely manner. Day to day has been a little bit less stressful after we took care of the problem. Fortress Financial was good and did what they said they were going to do for the price that they said they were going to do it. And the contact was there. I got a hold of them if I called them. Everything went as smoothly as it could.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Financial Services, Inc.?

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

Thank you so much for sharing about your experience with Fortress. I'm sorry to hear about your awful experience with a different tax company, and appreciate you taking the time to set the record straight once you realized that we weren't them.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I mistaken identified Fortress Financial as a tax company that robbed me of 10,000 dollars. So I am putting up this review because there is no way I know of removing or editing the original review. The services I received from Fortress were 100% satisfactory and I have no hesitation recommending them to my family and friends.

Resolution In Progress

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

Thank you so much for bringing your concerns to our attention. We truly do strive to provide the best customer service (as well as quality of representation) in the tax resolution industry, and your experience fell short of our standards. There was a brief period last winter when our state-of-the-art equipment had some issues. That has been resolved. The particular assistant with whom you were working did not always deliver the level of customer service that we require. She was first disciplined, and, ultimately, replaced. Our current staff of assistants is top notch. Any Fortress client who is feeling anything less than 100% satisfied with our services is strongly encouraged to contact our president, who will do everything within his power to promptly address the client's concerns and make things right. While it is true that the IRS found no reasonable cause to abate the bulk of your penalties, we actually were successful in getting rid of about $1,000 in penalties via the First Time Abate Program. Management will reach out to you within the next two business days, and will ensure that the rest of your experience working with our staff is much, much better than your experience to date.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I hired this firm to assist me in dealing with unpaid back taxes and to help clear up an agreement I made with the IRS. In addition, I needed assistance in clearing up some penalties and fees. While the firm was able to clear up the small issue with the agreement within 1 phone call, I had to fight tooth and nail to get updates from them - and I only reached out once per month. Many times the phones and email accounts were not in service. The assistant to the lawyer never responded to my emails or phone calls - except once - and it took multiple emails (2-4) to the lawyer to get an update.

It has been almost 10 months since I hired the firm and today I received letters from the IRS denying the request to clear up the fees. I have yet to hear from the lawyer... And I've lost most confidence that I will. While I understand I am not this firm’s only client, I personally believe communication is critical and recommend consumers compare firms before they make a decision to hire a tax lawyer. I will definitely do better research and read all the reviews next time.

We were referred by the company owner and his wife who had utilized Fortress Financial Services for a separate business from ours. The business relationship and the quote that we got was better with Fortress Financial over their competitors so we went with them. We have a lovely relationship with them now, like we're a family. Their team's amazing and my contact there's responsive, friendly, personable and timely. No one wants to deal with the IRS. But if I had to, I'd have them on my team. I would recommend them.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

Although it is untrue that the failure of our staff to file paperwork caused a $220,000 lien to be filed against you, we are glad that you brought this to our attention. We strive to make each and every one of our clients happy, and obviously didn't do so in your case. We will contact you privately in an effort to clarify any misunderstandings and to address your concerns.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Your attorney missed filing some paperwork, that ended up allowing the IRS to file a tax lien of $220,000 on me and my wife. Incompetence at its highest. Very dissatisfied with Fortress. Wished I could get my money back. Big waste of my time and money. Wished I could rate you with a -5 stars.

When I needed these guys, they were there for me. Though they were thousands of miles away, they worked on my case as if we were in the same town. My questions were answered, they kept me very informed and they made an awful experience tolerable. Thank you David ** and staff!

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

You are very welcome! We appreciate your business and your review.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I was totally scared to have the IRS coming down on my business. Got several calls from at least 100 Tax Attorneys from all around. I actually selected your company because it was in Oregon. I was still nervous, but you people treated me kind of with kid gloves. The very first time that I thought was great is when My Attorney had me take all the money out of my account but Ten dollars. I think I had it good with you guys. Thank You Very Much.

Resolution In Progress

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Because you were at risk of enforcement from your IRS rep, we brought your case to appeals in an effort to protect you. There were many communications with the Appeals Officer. Because you had many unfiled tax returns, you were not eligible to have your personal liability resolved. Please accept our sincere apologies if this was not communicated to you clearly enough. We will have a representative reach out to you within 2 business days, and would love the opportunity to resolve your personal taxes once you get caught up with your returns.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Paid them for business and personal help. Business was placed on installment payments by the IRS, but our personal problem is still ongoing. I submitted all of the info directly to the IRS. The Fortress rep advised that he spoke with our IRS rep on several occasions. The IRS rep advised she spoke with him 1 time and no communication after that. Very disappointed.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

Thank you for voicing your concerns. My understanding is that one of our representatives reached out to you after you wrote your review and explained that the state declined our request for an installment agreement because you did not provide us with the required financial information to support a hardship request. We have agreed to reopen your case and resume working to resolve your tax issues, and my understanding is that you will be withdrawing your review. If this is not correct, I ask that you call Fortress and ask to speak with the President. Thank you.

Original review: July 25, 2017

My initial conversation included advice to stop paying my sales tax that was in arrears, yet, to move forward. However, in Fortress's attempt to moderate between myself and the State, they failed miserably and I was left with even more debt. The "tax" agent was still calling me non-stop with denial of everything Fortress offered them on my behalf. I was pep talked into signing with Fortress but then after payment and contract signed, was informed that sales tax is a little more difficult. I am very disappointed as I am in WORSE condition with the State than before I started with the State.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

I am sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with our services, and appreciate you bringing your concerns to my attention. I reviewed your billing and found one potential duplicate billing, but it was entered as "no charge." I also noticed 11 "no charge" entries valued at $346.50. Also, we closed your case with a $880.50 balance due which we forgave. Consequently, I am struggling to understand your dissatisfaction with our billing. If Jeremy was rude and obnoxious, please accept my sincere apologies. That is not acceptable. Our staff is required to treat all clients with dignity and respect at all times. Any clients who feel they are not being treated properly are encouraged to promptly contact the President of Fortress so that corrective action can be taken. As a side note, Jeremy is no longer employed by Fortress. I did reach out to you in an effort to address your concerns, and hope to hear back from you soon.

Original review: July 25, 2017

When I received their billing they had multiple entries for the same task. They kept asking for documents that they had already received and even billing me for their mistakes! Jeremy ** was rude and obnoxious.

David and his staff were absolutely amazing. They were extremely professional and knew exactly what to do in my situation. They made my entire process run very smoothly and reduced my stress 10-fold. They complete a follow-up also, so they don't just take your money and disappear.

We found ourselves in serious trouble with the IRS and EDD. Fortress Financial stepped in, stopped the harassment, stopped the collections until everything could be straightened out. They were able to negotiate settlement for us for only pennies on the dollar. The were unbelievably helpful in our darkest hour.

No response received

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Your statements about fees paid and services rendered do not match up with our records. We will have a member from our customer service team reach out to you within 2 business days in an effort to address your concerns.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Paid them about 20,000 dollars and a year and half later matter was still not settled. And every time I turned around they wanted more money. I had to settle the agreement with the IRS myself and still to this date almost two years later they still have not done anything with the state. If I could figure a way to get my money back I would because they did absolutely NOTHING for us.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Aug. 9, 2017

Immediately after my initial post I was contacted by management at Fortress Financial and they were exceptionally understanding and wanting/willing to work with me to resolve my case and the previous treatment I had received. My case was taken on by the Owner/CEO of FF personally and we have gone to work on resolving my case. I am very pleased with the response and the acknowledgment of management in regards to my case. The swiftness of action, and the eagerness to help me resolve is impressive and admirable. I am changing my rating and thanking the company publicly for their actions and, now that previous individuals are no longer with the company, can indeed recommend them to any and all person or business needing assistance.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

Hi Jason. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the way you have been treated. I can assure you that such treatment is the exception, not the rule, and the particular employee to whom you referred is no longer with Fortress. I do hope that we can restore our relationship and make the remainder of your experience with us live up to a 5-star rating.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I approached Fortress Financial for assistance with my small business regarding some back taxes owed. I was sold on the simplicity of the service, the hands on contact, the assurance of tax abatement, and more. At first, all was good, communication was easy, and a settlement was reached with the IRS. As we progressed with our relationship I found the agents I worked with to be obtuse and combative. Each time I emailed or called I was met with some level of dismissive attitude, or a feeling of "Oh this again". At one point I began to question if they were even being honest with me regarding steps taken on my behalf. The only reason I have yet to say anything is that I am still working with them and fear some sort of repercussion or sabotage if my remarks are known. I will NOT be recommending this company to anyone in the future.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

When our clients are unhappy, we're unhappy...Let us make it up to you! We will be in touch with resolution options.

Original review: July 25, 2017

This company is completely ineffective. They never saved me one single cent and did NOTHING. We followed a plan that was already in place before all of their false claims to be able to improve the situation. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM! In fact, I warn you - look elsewhere! Fortress is NOT worth using at all!

I can't say enough about David **, from Fortress. He took on my tax liability and made it his. Ensuring me and tackling all the aspects to get me a payment that I could afford. I have used Peter twice over the last 30 years in my small business, and both times, he has taken the stress out of my life so I can get back to work and sleep at night.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

We appreciate your business and your review! I agree with you that some taxpayers are able to resolve tax liabilities without professional assistance. I would point out, however, that doing so involves considerably more risk--particularly for individuals with large tax liabilities and small business owners who have a lot at stake. Our staff will minimize the risk of enforcement as we are resolving a tax debt, while maximizing the chance of a favorable resolution. I'm very pleased to hear that our staff helped make you feel safer throughout the process.

Original review: June 21, 2017

Fortress Financial did a good job for me 3-4 years ago. The only thing they guaranteed me was that they’ll get me on a payment plan but if I had enough money they would have tried to get a settlement. They dealt with the IRS officers and the people with the state and I didn’t have to so that was nice. They helped me some, but I’ve done it so many times for myself that I could’ve saved the money and done it myself. Nonetheless, they worked with me and there’s so much they can do. It made me feel safer to know that they were acting on my behalf rather than me having to handle it. Also, their representatives were very knowledgeable and nice.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc.

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted that we were able to make such a positive impact in your life, and appreciate your willingness to put your trust in Fortress.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Fortress Financial took extra time with me and they got me out of a huge mess. It has been a very personalized service. I feel like if I hadn't been able to work with them, my life would have basically been ruined. I worked with Lorrie and David the whole time, and they really knew my case backwards and forwards and kept on top of things. It wasn't a quick process but they were there for me the whole way. I owned a business that went under and I was personally liable for so much in taxes, I would have been working until someone pitched me in a grave. They solved my case and then when the laws changed, David came back to me saying that he can get my liabilities reduced further and got it cut in half again. Lorie walked me through everything and made it as easy as it possibly could be.

Fortress Financial Services helped me solve my IRS issues. It took us a while and it was just a matter of some new programs opening up and then getting some data put together. David was my attorney. He’s friendly and easy to work with and his support staff is good. I get into contact with them anytime I needed to. They took my issues seriously and then we found a solution.

The guys from Fortress Financial up in Oregon were very nice people. I like them all. They took care of my tax issues and dealt with the IRS and not us. They did exactly what we were hoping and did a great job for us.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. Company Profile