Call toll free
(855) 971-1943
4.83/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Fortress resolves tax debts nationwide for businesses and individuals, including pennies-on-the-dollar settlements, affordable payment plans, and the elimination of penalties. We are the only significant national tax resolution firm where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney. This ensures that our clients repay the least amount of money possible to the government, and that they receive the maximum level of protection against enforced collections, including bank levies, wage garnishments, accounts receivable levies, personal assessments, and unreasonable deadlines or demands. Call us today for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, and be sure to ask about our money back guarantee.

95 Fortress Financial Services, Inc. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Peter and Karlin did a wonderful job for my business and I am very happy with the outcome. They were able to get us into an installment agreement with the IRS that I could afford. I would give them 6 stars if I could. Thank you!

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for your business and your review! Our staff really enjoyed working with you and we're thrilled with the results!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I cannot say enough about how professionally my business was took care of and resolved, it was no doubt the most stressful time in my business career, Fortress Financial took and ran with it, my tax problem is now in my past. David, Sayward and Lori were excellent to work with, there is no doubt in my mind who I would recommend to anyone needing help, too bad the rating goes only to 5 stars, they deserve a 100 star rating. Signed "couldn't be more satisfied".

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Signing up with Fortress Financial was very easy and I worked with them for eight months. Their tax attorney was very forthright and easy to work with. Fortress Financial helped me fix my problem. They negotiated with the state of New Jersey to correct an error that they had in their records. However, their cost was a little expensive for the two phone calls that were made on my behalf. It could have been a little more reasonable in price. Nevertheless, they did a great job for me and they helped me to clear something up so I could refinance my home.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for your review and for your business! Our staff very often does a substantial "behind the scenes" amount of work that is invisible to our clients. We're always happy to provide an accounting of the staff time and actions taken on behalf of a client upon request. We're thrilled that we were able to resolve your tax issues and put you in position to refinance your home!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We were having tax issues so we contacted Fortress Financial and they did great. We suffered hard times during the crash and we have been able to hold on and pull through, but not without damages. Bu we felt comfortable with Fortress. They came across as honest. They made arrangements, and assisted us in lowering and setting up the payment plan. They also negotiated payments with IRS and made it easier to deal with them. The attorney we worked with was timely and thorough. He’s somebody you’d wanna work with. They were prompt in general and returned phone calls and emails. It was an excellent experience/

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Fortress Financial took the red tape of dealing with the IRS away. We had been bogged down in the machine for several years without resolution. David ** secured an excellent resolution of our complex matter in a very short amount of time. Very friendly staff and easy to work with.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

I know that our staff really enjoyed working with you, and we're delighted that we were able to help you out of such a difficult tax situation. We appreciate your business and feedback!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Financial Services, Inc.?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Our situation with IbleRS had long and complex history. After much correspondence, written, telephone, agents, the course had not led to either clarity or resolution. Worried about that. Once turned over to David ** of Fortress, and his assistant, Heather **, we've achieved a reasonable and workable approach. Gave voice, reliable feedback, and effective action. Very satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My wife found Fortress Financial for us. We had a situation that got me a CNC, Currently Not Collectible, and the government went after her for fraud and I was in deep doo-doo with the IRS. Fortress Financial's rep was excellent. He answered all of my questions. Fortress Financial only needed a payment to pay off the IRS and they were very flexible in working with us with our payment plan. The cost was outstanding. The amount that I owed the IRS and the amount that their rep got the settlement for was unbelievable. At this point, I'm done with them and my experience was very good. In fact, their rep is still very diligent in taking care of me because I still have them on a retainer after all these years of being settled. They need to keep doing what they're doing because they do it very well.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Fortress Financial was a personal referral and they helped me in offering compromise type representation. I had a good communication with their tax attorney and they delivered what they promised. Peter represented all the options and gave me good counsel. He did a good job for me and then it was up to me to select what was gonna work for us. The advertisement of the process of offering compromise is overrated but the cost was fair and it was a good experience. I would recommend Fortress Financial in the future to folks that I come in contact with in a similar situation.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for your business and your recommendation!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Fortress Financial is the right place to go to if you're stuck in a bad tax situation. When I started with them, I spoke to David and he was very knowledgeable with the situation. He was also very friendly and professional. The people I've dealt with have taken good care of me as well. They're very professional, friendly and prompt. They communicated very well with me and got me set up on all the plans necessary. They were definitely on my case and all the transactions were smooth. They updated me on the situation and kept me up-to-date with my payments. I'm already almost paid off now and I'd recommend Fortress to anybody else who is in my situation.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for your business and your review, Robert! The level of service that you describe is what we strive to deliver every time to every client. We appreciate being given the opportunity to help you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I had a little trouble with my tax, I was going through a divorce and it was hanging over my head. I heard that Fortress Financial helped other people out. A close friend who has worked with them gave me their name and I reached out to them. I’ve been working with two people and they were very professional. Anytime I had a question and somebody was out of the office or was after hours, I got a call back within 24 hours. Fortress is setting up the payment plan with IRS now and they’re working on it. They're very fair, honest, upfront and very reasonable. So far, they have been great and hopefully, it works out for me. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I had tax issues of $200,000 and I was getting bombarded with calls. So I wasn't gonna go with any of the companies. Fortress had called a few different times but I was going through a divorce so I didn't really make a decision. Then they called one day and the guy made sense to me. It was just the timing. They walked in and settled the whole thing for me. To talk to the IRS or anyone in state or federal is like a Chinese fire drill. You don't know who to talk to and one path sends you off to next then to the next. These guys from Fortress handled everything and they were excellent.

The guy who handled our account was a nice guy. When you owe a couple of hundred grand to the IRS, the state or the federal, people get nervous. But this guy came in, settled everybody down, worked out a payment plan and fixed it. They knocked out about 40,000 and finally, we paid the debt off. The situation worked out well and Fortress was also fair in what they charged for the service. I would tell others to listen to them and to tell them the whole story. They'll figure it out then you should do what they say. They know what they're doing.

Original review: July 24, 2018

We saw that Fortress Financial's reviews have been positive and we reached out to them. There were back taxes, including the lien, and they were able to take care of our debt. It took me a year and a half and they were able to get rid of about $150,000. They were very professional and great to work with. I would refer them. If you need to, give them a call and they'd help you.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much Angela! You are correct that you can just pick up the phone and talk to one of our tax pros for no cost. If we don't think we can help you, we will not take your case (or your money). If we do think we can help, we'll give you a proposal outlining a strategy and cost and then it's up to you whether you would like to proceed. There is a very good chance you will learn something helpful even if you don't wish to proceed due to the fact that our tax pros are seasoned and know their stuff. We love helping people and would love to hear from you if you are reading this and owe taxes.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Fortress Financial is a small firm and it seemed like I would get a little more attention from them than I would from somebody like Omni. Not only that, but the actual tax adviser, David, also contacted me before I even got started with the whole process. David and his team are incredible. They are the most phenomenal tax advisers. To not go with them would be absolutely insane. The process lasted a few years and it was excruciating. It cost a little bit of money but in the end, what it cost compared to what those people saved me is zero. But it's contingent on the user. Those people know what they're talking about and if you follow all their directions, they will get you off of a huge tax debt. The program was worth the cost, a million times over. I owed over $150,000 and they got me off for under $2,000. It was freaking phenomenal and life-changing.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

We love your review, Ian, and are so glad for the opportunity to change your life for the better! Thank you for your business and for being such a great client!

Original review: July 9, 2018

As a small company, we fell behind in our taxes due to a few contributing factors. Although we always had the intention to pay our taxes that were due, the IRS revenue officer did not make that easy for us. We felt as though he was basically setting us up for failure. We couldn't seem to get ahead and stay in compliance with the regulations that he placed on us.

Hiring Fortress Financial was the best decision we could have made. They not only cared about our situation, they talked to us as many times as we needed to in order to put our minds at rest. They worked diligently on our behalf and was able to get us a resolution that worked for everyone and allowed us to make payments that we could afford and not fall short again. During this, we had many levies that were issued in what seemed to be the worse possible time. Right when we had scheduled payments, they would levy which would cause our payments to be returned. It was a never ending rat race. They always worked hard to get the releases issued on our behalf. Without them, we could not have come to a resolution! Thank you especially to David ** and Sayward ** for your complete dedication and unwavering compassion.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I can only say great things about this organization and its people. They were diligent from the beginning till the end. These folks are truly amazing. Thank you for getting the IRS monkey off my back!

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for your business and for your kind words! Our staff really enjoyed working with you and we're thrilled that we were able to get that monkey off your back!

Original review: June 26, 2018

Fortress helped set up two Installment Agreements for me. The second, after I had defaulted on the first one. They managed to obtain a low monthly payment, that I could afford. I am happy with their work. I worked closely with Heather ** and David **, the attorney.

Original review: June 16, 2018

The staff at Fortress Financial have been really great at helping me resolve several of my tax issues and developing an overall short-term strategy to keep me in compliance. I'm extremely impressed at how fast they respond to emails or phone calls to help their clients. I've had a terrific experience with Fortress Financial and would definitely recommend them to handle any tax issues.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Working with Peter ** & Karlin ** at Fortress Financial has been a wonderful and calming experience. I truly felt like they have had my best interest in mind over the entire duration of my business relationship with them. As a former small business owner during a time when the economy was not forgiving, dealing with the overwhelming stress of tax debt can be debilitating. They took over the conversations with the IRS agent and helped me to come to a resolve with the agency. I appreciate their hard work, professionalism and communication, and their continued commitment to my personal welfare. Thank you Fortress!

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you Brian! We're so glad that we were able to help relieve your stress and resolve your tax issues.

Original review: June 14, 2018

It's been a long, tough 6 years and I got behind in my taxes. I had a payment plan with the IRS, but to do accountant error, the plan was revoked. I called Fortress Financial and John and Janet have been the most helpful in getting me back on track with the IRS. Would I recommend them? Absolutely!

Original review: June 13, 2018

Fortress Financial looked out for our best interest and helped us through negotiations with the state on the amount of back taxes to be paid. Fortress Financial was responsive at all times and knowledgeable. They explained the process thoroughly and in detail at times so that we understood exactly what was required. If a similar issue arose again I would consult Fortress first. Highly recommend.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Your business and your thoughtful review are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Original review: June 12, 2018

We were completely out of money ready to shut our doors due to our factor company quitting on us due to extended IRS issues. We called Fortress as a last ditch effort to get some help on a recommendation from an associate. Like most tax relief companies, Fortress wanted a sizable cash deposit to begin working on our case. Unlike other companies, Fortress was still willing to work with us after I explained that all of our cash was tied up with a factor company. They accepted a small cash deposit with a promise to pay the remainder at a future date after they delivered an IA as promised.

Within a few days they had delivered a proposed IA from our revenue officer that I was able to deliver to our factor company to get funds released. I then had to switch factor companies and Fortress was able to deliver a subordination agreement to meet the needs of our new factor company within a few weeks. Fortress has continued to monitor and help us through a change in RO, paperwork delay with the IRS and personal trust fund tax assessments. They have been amazing to work with. I would highly recommend their service to anyone with a tax problem. The fee we paid them was worth every dollar. We would not be in business without them.

Original review: June 10, 2018

We had a tax issue. We contacted Fortress Financial and they returned our calls and answered our questions very quickly. So, we decided to deal with them. They were very good and very timely. They handled everything with the IRS and struck a deal which made the payments much more affordable for us. They seemed to be very trustworthy, too.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you Julie! We're so glad that we could help you and that you had a great experience working with our staff.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have had a great experience working with Fortress Financial thus far in resolving a tax issue related to an annuity. They have laid out all the steps along the way and have helped get me sufficient time to work to resolve the issue with the agencies in question.

Original review: June 8, 2018

This company far exceeds expectations. Steve, Nick and John ** are some of the finest negotiators in the business. They resolved numerous sensitive issues for me in a timely manner with clarity and with integrity. If you are looking for resolution to problems that will get worse if not addressed then this is the company for you.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Fortress Financial Services is truly an exceptional organization with outstanding tax attorneys. You will get assigned to an actual tax attorney who will tell you the course of action and keep you informed by calling you and sending you email messages. You do not have to chase them down for information nor assistance. Their attorneys were able to get my case settled within a few weeks. Fortress Financial is much more efficient than Optima Tax Relief. Fortress Financial definitely represents and exceeds its perfect 5 star rating!! Truly awesome!!!

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you so much for your business and for your review! Our smaller size coupled with the fact that each case is personally handled by an attorney enables us to provide a quality of service that far exceeds that of the huge, big-budget advertising tax resolution companies such as Optima. We are thrilled that you were able to experience that first hand!

Original review: June 7, 2018

Fortress Financial was recommended to me and I reached out to them a couple of years ago. And the experience has been really good.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I had a fear with working with the IRS by myself. Fortress Financial contacted me and with their help, I got the IRS off my back for as far as trying to seize accounts for which I was grateful for. Then, Fortress Financial set up a payment plan so I could just continue on working without the fear of seizures. For the most part, I was pleased with their reps. But they didn't fulfill all of what they told me during our initial conversation and their marketing firm promised more than they delivered, so it cost me more than I thought. I wasn’t very pleased about that but once you’re into them, you’re kinda stuck. I would encourage them to give more details of what they’re gonna do in writing than verbally.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for sharing about your experience, Kreig. I'm glad that our staff was able to stop enforcement for you and get you set up with a payment plan with the government that you could afford. However, I'm troubled by the fact that you feel like you were promised more than that which was delivered. We truly strive to deliver exactly what we promise with each and every client. The precise terms of each agreement are set forth in the Service Agreement, which is signed by each client. We've also really tried to make our Service Agreements straightforward, without a bunch of legal jargon, and easy to understand. On top of that, we have at least one staff member go over these terms with our clients over the telephone, and we often do that twice. We will have a manager reach out to you within two business days to see if we can make things right with you. We do appreciate your business and your feedback.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I needed tax solutions so I reached out to Fortress Financial. I liked what they had to say and how they answered my questions. Signing up with them was excellent. It was very easy and not confusing. They kept me in communication with my tax problems and kept me guided through each step that is needed that the regular person doesn't understand because the tax codes are so confusing. If you take a 10-step process, every step that they have taken me through has been one step at a time and made me understand each step and feel comfortable with the choices that I made with them. Everything was good.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

We appreciate your business as well as you taking the time to share about your experience. Thank you!

Original review: May 3, 2018

My experience with Fortress Financial went as said. I called them and they were representing me on some tax issues. It's been five or eight years since I signed up with them and I was okay with everything they did for me. It did not take very long for someone to reach out to me when I had questions. Fortress Financial helped me set up a payment plan with the IRS but since then, I failed on the program because I ran out of money. Nevertheless, the cost of the program was fair and they gave me a lump sum that I had to pay. I'd call them again in the future.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Fortress Financial helped us with some corporate tax issues. My husband initially took the call from them. They were aggressive, but they were also good about following up and presenting things. Signing up was easy and the tax attorney was very professional, informative, and good at what he does. He is very "black and white." He explained what was happening and why things were happening. He was also very good about answering my questions. He took forever to get a resolution, though.

It took a long time and I felt like that was more of the IRS. However, from the very beginning, we hired them to help us with federal state and local tax issues that we had. Since they were not from our area, local tax issues were not their forte. Also, we were in Philadelphia and they were in Washington so he should not have said that he could help us with our issue because it never got resolved. Moreover, working in Philadelphia is a challenge, even being in Philadelphia. They definitely tried to do what they could for the state and the city. But unfortunately, we owed a large amount and there was not a payment plan unless we could put up a lump sum of money which we couldn’t do. And I don’t think that there was a resolution that we could’ve afforded.

We were able to set up a payment plan with the IRS. Because of how it worked, we set up one for the corporation and the savings were huge. However, we're still personally liable. Fortress came back and said that they could do an Offer in Compromise for me personally. Even though our corporation is on a payment plan, we personally have to be on a payment plan for the same debt that was owed. Still, I've referred Fortress Financial to the payroll company. They had some customers that were having the same issue that we had, and Fortress is great at resolving federal tax issues.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. response

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience working with our staff, Laura. I suspect that you are correct that the delays in getting your case resolved were due to the IRS, as that is usually the case when resolution takes an unusually long time. We do strive to move all of our cases along as quickly as can reasonably be expected given their circumstances. Unfortunately, there are times when the IRS can be very slow, and there isn't a lot that we or anyone can do to make them move more quickly (yet, when they want something from a taxpayer, they usually give them very little time). During the times when the IRS is slow, we almost always will have some kind of mechanism in place to protect our clients from enforced collections.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. expert review by Andrew Poulos

Fortress Financial Services offers tax resolution solutions to protect things like your bank account, business and personal assets and wages from levies, garnishments and seizures. They’ll help you identify a solution that requires the lowest repayment or settlement amount.

• Offers in compromise: Fortress Financial can help you settle with the IRS or state taxing authority for less than the full amount owed. They can help you prove things like doubt of collectability, or demonstrating you can’t pay the amount owed in full, and doubt of liability, or establishing doubt as to whether the taxes should be owed.

• Penalty abatements: Fortress Financial can help you establish “reasonable cause” so you can qualify for an Abatement of Penalties. Your lawyer will make sure the written request is correct and covers the necessary facts and persuasive legal arguments to obtain an Abatement of Penalties.

• Installment agreements: Fortress Financial can help you reach a fair installment agreement with the IRS and make sure your agreement doesn’t fall into default. They will make sure your monthly payments are ones you can easily afford.

• Innocent spouse: Fortress Financial will work with individuals who qualify for Innocent Spouse Relief. They can help prove whether it's unfair to hold a spouse liable for back taxes.

• Appeals: Fortress Financial has years of experience working with the IRS appeals system. They can help you file for the two main avenues of appeals: Collection Appeals Program (CAP) and Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP).

• Best for: anyone who owes the IRS back taxes.

Profile picture of Andrew Poulos
Andrew Poulos Tax Relief Contributing Editor

Andrew G. Poulos, EA, ABA, ATP, is principal of Poulos Accounting & Consulting, Inc. in Atlanta, GA where he works with individual and business tax clients and represents clients before the IRS and state labor agencies. A self-made entrepreneur and real estate investor, Andrew is an author, national speaker and nationally syndicated tax software expert.

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. Company Information