2. Tax Relief
Accredited Partner

Call ConsumerAffairs Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.72/5

Fortress resolves tax debts nationwide for businesses and individuals, including pennies-on-the-dollar settlements, affordable payment plans, and the elimination of penalties. We are the only significant national tax resolution firm where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney. This ensures that our clients repay the least amount of money possible to the government, and that they receive the maximum level of protection against enforced collections, including bank levies, wage garnishments, accounts receivable levies, personal assessments, and unreasonable deadlines or demands. Call us today for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation, and be sure to ask about our money back guarantee.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Fortress Financial Services solves tax issues for individuals and businesses with $15,000 or more in tax debt. The process may be lengthy, but that's typical with the IRS and Fortress staffs experts in the field while maintaining a positive reputation.

PROS

• Cases handled by tax attorneys
  • Positive reputation
  • Negotiates tax burdens and settlements

CONS

• Must have $15,000+ in tax debt

Top Fortress Tax Relief Reviews We Found

I interviewed several tax resolution services. Fortress provided references. My experience with Fortress matched up with the references. [Their attorney] guided me through what was a very scary situation with the IRS. And what was finally negotiated was fair. This is a company that can be trusted.

Fortress did exactly what I wanted them to do for a reasonable price. Sayward was the best person I could have had to navigate me through one of the most stressful periods in my life. I'd recommend them for anyone who faces having to deal with a complex, highly stressful confrontation with the IRS.

Fortress Tax Relief Call ConsumerAffairs (855) 381-0979 Learn More
Call ConsumerAffairs

About Fortress Financial Services

Fortress Financial Services is a medium-sized tax relief firm helping individuals and businesses resolve tax enforcement issues and liabilities. The company is based in Oregon but operates nationwide with several out-of-state clients. Their licensed attorneys undergo more than 500 hours of training, allowing them to handle each case with the mastery expected from a seasoned professional.

Accreditations: Fortress Financial Services is a member of the National Association of Tax Resolution Companies.”

Fortress Financial Services

Fortress Financial Services offers a number of tax resolution services for the American taxpayer, including tax appeals, innocent spouse tax relief and review of tax transcripts. For complex cases, Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for a more personalized approach.

Services and results they provide include:

Offers in Compromise
For taxpayers who have difficulty paying the full amount of what they owe or have doubts as to the amount demanded, Fortress Financial Services helps with Offers in Compromise. Offers in Compromise allow taxpayers to settle liabilities for less than the full amount owed. There are three reasons why an American taxpayer may request Offers in Compromise, and Fortress can help you identify the right course of action for your situation.
  1. Doubts as to collectibility: The taxpayer must prove they’re incapable of repaying the full tax debt
  2. Doubt as to liability: The taxpayer demonstrates they’re not responsible for the total amount owed
  3. Effective tax administration: Due to hardship, the taxpayer and IRS come to a final settlement
Penalty Abatement
A Penalty Abatement reduces the amount you owe. Before the IRS can grant a Penalty Abatement, there needs to be “reasonable cause,” and Fortress Financial Services can help. With reasonable cause, it’s essential to state the facts as clearly as possible, using the law accurately and providing sound legal arguments.
Installment Agreements
With Installment Agreements, taxpayers agree to repay their tax debt in installments. Fortress Financial Services work with taxpayers to negotiate terms that are fair and financially reasonable. Installment Agreements are great for taxpayers who desire to avoid or are on the verge of default. Bank levies, wage levies, accounts receivable levies and, in serious cases, seizure of assets often follow a default.
Innocent Spouse Tax Relief
When filing joint taxes, there are times when one spouse may be found innocent of tax liabilities. In these cases, Fortress Financial Services can help spouses who meet the criteria with Innocent Spouse Tax Relief services. To be relieved of liability, individuals must prove they were unaware of the tax discretion. Those who don’t qualify for the Innocent Spouse Tax Relief may be eligible for “Equitable Relief,” wherein the IRS finds holding one of the spouses liable is unfair.
Tax Appeals
Fortress Financial Services help clients identify the best method for a Tax Appeal. The two main ways are through the Collection Appeals Program (CAP) and a Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP). If a taxpayer misses the deadline for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP), Fortress Financial Services helps them identify their eligibility for an “Equivalent Hearing.” Tax Appeals are effective for:
  1. Reversing government actions that negatively affect financial stability, such as wage or bank levy
  2. Prevention of IRS enforcement
  3. Coming to a favorable tax liability resolution
  4. Negotiating with the IRS for more favorable terms
  5. Presenting and disputing the amount owed
  6. Reviewing the actions and findings of the IRS
Creative Tax Relief Solutions
Fortress Financial Services offers Creative Tax Relief Solutions for taxpayers whose cases do not fit into one of these conventional tax strategies. Fortress Financial Services will work with you personally to identify the best plan. This might mean combining a number of different approaches to protect your assets and resolve tax liabilities.
Business tax relief
Fortress Financial Services also offers Trust Fund Recovery Penalties. Trust Fund Recovery Penalties are geared towards shareholders, officers, and employees who can be held liable for a company (corporation, LLC, or business entity) that fail to pay specific payroll taxes. These services help protect the assets, wages, and bank accounts of American taxpayers.

In addition to the major services listed above, Fortress Financial Services further personalize services based on an individual’s case. These include:

• Lien Withdrawal/Lien Avoidance
  • Sale of Asset Subject to Tax Lien/Certificate of Discharge
  • Subordination of Tax Lien
  • Tax Account Review/Review of Tax Transcript
  • Adjustment of Tax Liability/Correction of IRS Error
  • Currently Not Collectable Status (CNC)

How does Fortress Financial Services work?

When working with Fortress Financial Services, a licensed attorney specialized in back tax negotiations personally handles your case. The company prides itself on a high level of customer service; for example, as part of their customer service, clients can expect to hear back from employees within two business days. All of their representatives are available by phone, and the company does not use case managers. Any issues with the Fortress Financial Services team should be directed to their president, Stephen K. Galgoczy. If a client experiences the problem more than once after contacting Mr. Galgoczy, the company offers $100 in credit for future services.

Their mission is to help clients protect their assets – including (but not limited to) bank accounts, business assets, wages from garnishments and seizure. They also identify ways for taxpayers to save on their repayments and assist in finding settlements that are less than the required amount.

When dealing with the IRS, the licensed professionals at Fortress Financial Services use their extensive knowledge to help protect American taxpayers and persuade government officials to agree to new terms and liability settlements.

Fortress Financial Services cost and fees

Fortress Financial Services offers a free confidential consultation to discuss tax relief solutions and the assistance they provide. Service agreement starting cost varies and there may be additional fees throughout the process. They offer a full money-back guarantee within 24 hours of the initial attorney consultation.

Do we recommend Fortress Financial Services?

Fortress Financial Services provides American taxpayers with professional and licensed help regarding their tax relief resolutions. The company has a team of highly experienced and knowledgeable specialists, and your case will be handled by a seasoned tax attorney. Although Fortress has a track record of providing clients with favorable results, their fees and service agreements are, at times, unclear to some customers. For anyone dealing with more than $15,000 in tax debt or liabilities and is inexperienced in negotiating with the IRS, Fortress Financial Services can provide personalized and comprehensive tax solutions.

Fortress Tax Relief Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Art did an excellent job settling my matter with the IRS. He worked diligently and hard to get a result that worked for me to quickly resolve my issue for the long term. I would've have given 5 stars if my experience was solely based on my time with Art. I had another attorney assigned to my case prior to Art taking over. While he was working on my case, some of my funds were improperly seized by the IRS when I was on a payment plan. I am not sure who to attribute the error to but I do not feel that my matter was handled with as much care and skill at that time, as it was by my prior attorney and Art.

Fortress Tax Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to share about your experience working with our staff. The IRS will not seize funds while a taxpayer is on an installment agreement, and the correspondence that we received years ago from the IRS shows that the agreement you had at that time defaulted because you missed one or more payments. In any event, that's water under the bridge at this point, and we're glad to hear how happy you've been with Art. Thank you kindly for your business and your review!

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

My friend recommended Fortress Financial and I called and spoke with Joe. He explained, very professionally about the tax problem I had. They did not promise me what I could get resolved, but they would do the best they could and I would be happy with the solution. After I spoke with my attorney, Peter **, he took care of me right away and was very knowledgeable about tax solutions. His assistant, Karlin **, was available for all my questions and I am very happy with the results. They both did very, very well. I am very satisfied with the solution. Peter followed the case through to the end and Karlin called and checked in on me every step of the way. I have liens against me and they plan to follow up with that. In the future, if I ever need help, I will use them again and am happy to recommend them to all my friends.

Fortress Tax Relief response

We're so glad we were able to help! That's a great point you made about not being promised some pie in the sky. The government approves the result, so those who promise some specific and amazing result probably aren't being sincere. Anyone looking for tax relief assistance would be well advised to find the best people, not the best promises. Thank you for your business and your review!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Fortress Financial Services, Inc. is amazing. Their reps helped me organize the paperwork and told me what to get, and they sent me the paperwork over. When I couldn't understand the question, they explained everything fully. Their rep Lori did a lot in helping me in my business. She went the extra mile and would even teach me how to start filing my papers and putting them in order, where and when I pull things out, and it's right there in my fingertips. She stayed right on me and it really turned out great for me. Their reps all worked really quickly for me. This last time, I went to them again, and they helped me tremendously.

They helped me as far as my taxes were concerned the second time around because I had gotten so far behind. I had lost the business and it was hard. So I wound up with taxes and a new job. I went back to them and that's when they helped me get a payment per month with the IRS. I did all my paperwork and put in exactly what all I was owing. I did everything they told me with the paperwork and everything to send, and wound up with a payment for $100 a month on my taxes and it worked out beautifully. If it had been any more than that, I wouldn't have been able to pay.

So far, I have completed the program. They didn't charge as much and they gave me time to pay off. If I ever wanted to give somebody else information if they had problems, I would immediately give Fortress Financial's number and tell them to go to them. They are not just about coming up with a payment arrangement or trying to get you to send in your quarterlies. They educate too on top of that. I learned a lot through them.

Original review: July 31, 2019

Fortress Financial has been very helpful throughout the entire process. We owed a high amount in back payroll taxes to the IRS and our state. They have been excellent at explaining everything so we can easily understand. Trying to claw yourself out is hard enough and we are happy to say they made it a little easier. It is a lengthy process, but that's to be expected with the IRS. We have manageable payment plans in place for our IL taxes and are hoping for the same result with our outstanding IRS taxes.

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thank you so much for your business and for your review! We're delighted that you are so happy with our services! The amount of time it takes to resolve a tax liability varies widely depending upon the circumstances and the tax resolution strategy. We occasionally resolve a case in one day. Other times, it can take a lot longer. We do strive to move all cases along at a brisk pace, and we have little doubt that Jeremy and Janet will secure great terms for you with the IRS just as soon as they can. You're in great hands. Thanks again!

Original review: June 9, 2019

I contacted Fortress Financial. I read reviews and looked into each one. I checked the services they provided and tried to figure out which would be the best match for what I was looking for. I mainly did online research. They dealt with the IRS for me. I had been working on this situation for several years and was not getting anywhere. Once I talked with Fortress, I was a little hesitant after working on my own with this issue for a few years. But they were very open and explained things. They knew what to do in getting the relevant information across and what was important to be viewed and brought up and what wasn't. They took care of it. If I needed to send anything in or provide anything, they let me know. They kept contact.

It was a positive experience. Once I signed on with them, they let me know what I needed to do with anything and my issue was resolved sooner than 45 days. I was very happy and it cleared up my mind. The cost wasn't cheap. But if you weigh that out with what the IRS was saying we owed, which actually was wiped out completely, Fortress' services certainly was well worth it. They were really easy to work with and they gave me the guidance. They took charge and they knew what they were doing.

Fortress Tax Relief response

We appreciate your business and your review, Jodi! You make a great point about the importance of knowing what NOT to bring up with the IRS...in many cases, that can be every bit as important as knowing what to bring up. We're delighted to hear that you were happy with our services!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fortress Tax Relief?

Original review: May 11, 2020

I HIGHLY recommend Fortress Tax Relief to help you with your tax resolution needs. I have tried other tax resolution companies in the past only to discover their aggressive marketing campaigns were often misleading and ultimately unrealistic. Fortress on the other hand assigned a dedicated tax attorney to review my case and make REALISTIC recommendations on the best way to settle my tax obligations. Once we agreed on a suitable approach, the tax attorney worked directly with the IRS and negotiated a settlement that was fair, reasonable and affordable. I highly recommend Fortress… They did an amazing job for us!

Fortress Tax Relief response

We're glad to hear how happy you have been with our services and thank you for your business!

Original review: May 4, 2020

I have been working with Sayward now for about a year. I was new to my position and had never dealt with business taxes and filing. She has been ever so positive and helpful. She has been right there beside me every step of the way. Her knowledge base is rock solid and she has great patience and is an outstanding resource.

Thank you!

Original review: March 30, 2020

I talked with several different firms, and read reviews from a lot. I'm glad I chose Fortress. David and Sayward have been great to deal with. They go above and beyond to help you with everything. I would definitely recommend them!

Fortress Tax Relief response

Thank you for your feedback and your business, Ryan! Fortress is really fortunate to have a staff with talented and dedicated people like David and Sayward. The fact that you are happy with our services makes us happy!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Fortress Financial is a really good firm. They did their job and my experience with them was off the charts. They were professional and knew what they were speaking about. They knew what they could do and couldn’t do so they didn’t make false promises regarding how they could go with the IRS. I cut them a check and based on the net result, it made sense. You pay a certain amount and get eight times the return on that, which is a pretty good deal.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Upon the start of the process, Fortress Financial was very professional and quick to respond in person. The entire process was done quickly with attention to detail. The attorneys and their assistants respond in person and provide answers immediately. Would highly recommend to anyone!

Fortress Tax Relief response

The customer service experience you describe is exactly what we aim to deliver! Thank you for your business and your review!

Fortress Tax Relief Company Information

Formerly Named:
    Fortress Financial Services, Inc.
    1011 SW Emkay Drive, Suite 201