1.42/5

146 Taxslayer.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have been using Taxslayer for several years since I was on active duty with the military. It is simple to use, still cost effective, and customer response is quick. They also offer higher level services for those who might need added security for potential IRS audits.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

TaxSlayer was fantastic! They actually charged what they advertised for. It was all clear, nothing hidden. Disclosure: I decided to pay 29.99 plus tax for the ease of filing my state returns. The transparency of TaxSlayer was fantastic. I am impressed.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Been with them over 5 years. I never had a problem with Taxslayer and I am happy they now have a Refund advance which I got last year the full $1,000.00. No bad things to say. Will be filing with them again this year coming up. Three of my sisters also file with them with no problems and a few of my friends. It’s easy and the amount you pay is not bad. I would rather DIY and get the max amount and save on fees then go to a Tax company get my taxes did and come out with less money cause they have charged me too much. I have worked at a Tax Company before as a Office Managers/Tax Consultants A.K.A prepare so Trust me when I say TaxSlayer is the way to go.

Original review: April 18, 2019

TAXSLAYER IS NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF CROOKS AND THEIR FILING QUESTIONS WILL NOT GET YOU THE BEST REFUND. BEWARE!!!! I only filed federal with TaxSlayer and submitted. I went to TurboTax to file my state for Free. As I was answering the same questions with TurboTax my federal refund increased by $500. Unbeknownst to me TurboTax filed both fed and state. Returned to Slayer and had to research where they didn't guide me correctly in answering their questions. So, I submitted again. Well, my return was rejected because Turbo filed both state and federal first. After sending an email with detailed explanation they will not refund $26.00 filing fee. And...my refund was rejected because of their questionnaire. Beware, you probably won't get your full refund with this company!!!

Original review: April 16, 2019

It took forever to get passed the “calculating your return” section. It kept refreshing for minutes on end, and then timed out. Then I had to start from the beginning. Although my information was saved, it was just another unnecessary hurdle I had to go through. Horrible experience. I would not recommend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxslayer.com?

Original review: April 16, 2019

We was with Taxslayer since 2009 and thank for their wrong input and unprofessional customer service. The IRS comes now for tax return 2015 and 2016 for over $5000 back pay. Thanks to Taxslayer. We recommend never go with this fake company. They don’t know tax returns.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Yesterday I started and finished the Simply Free Edition for both the federal and state tax return. At the very end, before e-filing, I get a message that they had to upgrade me to the Classic Edition, plus charge me for the state return, for a total of $53! Because "certain types of income, a credit, or deduction that you have claimed are not available in the Simply Free Edition" (I saved the screenshot). What was that "certain type" you ask? A Schedule D! I kid you not folks. I had used no other forms, just a 1040 and a Schedule D. Basically I had wasted 2 hours. I closed the tab and went to another well-known provider. Plenty of reliable free tax preparation providers out there. This is actually the second time Taxslayer has done this, The first time was in 2016 I remember. No more.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Until this year, I had been a satisfied user of TaxSlayer, for maybe 10 years. This year, however, that all changed. I found that I could not print or view my tax return, which is pretty basic. Every time I attempted to Print in TaxSlayer, I got an empty window titled "about:blank". They were prepared for this and gave instructions to use Adobe Reader. Adobe Reader was not my default PDF reader, so I downloaded it and installed it. I downloaded the latest version 2019.010.20098 off the Adobe web site. TaxSlayer said to use Adobe Reader 11 or later; version 11 is obsolete, and I tried but could not get that version for Windows 10 off Adobe and was reluctant to trust non-Adobe sites. The version I did download is the latest and is appropriate for Windows 10, but still gives the blank window.

I have another message in to the Help center, but here's something: when I pressed Reply in their Message Center to their message replying to my earlier message, I got the message "The specified URL cannot be found". So I had to resubmit a brand new request because Reply didn't work. The Message center software was faulty as well. All this has convinced me that I'm done with TaxSlayer. I can't print my own tax return!!

Original review: April 1, 2019

We have used Taxslayer for the last four years and have been satisfied, until now. When I do my taxes I do direct deposit. This time, the only option was to put it on a Green Dot card. WARNING. Green Dot is nothing but a scam. They charge you a monthly fee, plus various charges on certain transaction. I tried to transfer the money to my bank account, wouldn't let me. It is impossible when you try to close the account, they never answer the phone. TAXSLAYER YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FOR TRICKING CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS. Your company is going to lose a lot of customers.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I decided to try Taxslayer since the prices were getting high with the one I was using ($40 for state, $30 for a schedule C and $30 just because I have an HSA!?) Be VERY careful using them because they don't ask enough questions. Lucky enough I compared my return to one I started and found a few discrepancies. I know that in a schedule C you can deduct the registration of your car and the interest of car loans but only the % you use for the business. There was no place to put this in the vehicle section. I had to manually calculate it and put it in the expenses. While that was not a big problem but if I hadn't have known about it from the other software I would never have known how to handle it.

Also on my state section they didn't calculate my use tax (MICH) correctly. I just use the tax table and looked at the instructions for the state form and it said you multiply the AIG by .07% (which my original service did) and Taxslayer multiplied by .08%. I called them up and after doing some checking them told me their software was correct. UMMM...no it's not. The only reason I gave them 2 stars is because of their price.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have used other software than Taxslayer. It was easier to use, but my situation, a retired pastor, is unusual. Taxslayer "pros" kept insisting that I had not filed properly despite the IRS accepting my return. So, I consulted a real CPA familiar with retired clergy. She found NOTHING wrong with my return. Next year, I will be using her and not Taxslayer. Point - don't use Taxslayer if your return is unusual. It is unprepared to deal with unusual situations.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Advertised free simple federal and state tax filing. Both my state and federal filings couldn't be any simpler, no deductions or anything special just fill in the blanks. When I got to the end and it’s time to file there’s a charge of 47.00. I called the help line to see why I was being charged and was advised I was being charged because I was over 65 years old. Can you say rip off or age discrimination. DON’T USE THESE PEOPLE. For your own sake.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Tax Slayer is misrepresenting the terms from the Green Dot card you must sign up for if you want to get your Federal Tax Refund Advance back in as little as 24 hours. They have the following qualification criteria posted on their website: What are the eligibility requirements for TaxSlayer’s Refund Advance? To be eligible, you must have a W-2 and a current government-issued photo ID. Your eligibility also depends on your federal tax refund amount, verification of your identity, underwriting standards, and other criteria. Other terms and conditions may apply. TaxSlayer’s Refund Advance is not available to Vermont or Illinois residents.

What they DON'T disclose is that your Federal Refund amount must be at least $1,500 to get the Advance. This amounts to a usury tax, as you have to pay a fee for the card. Anyone who is applying for a refund advance likely needs the money for emergency expenses. I myself, was trying to use it to assist a good friend who was drastically affected by the 35 day Federal Shutdown, and couldn't pay their rent. To omit a criteria that applies to any and ALL applications smacks of false advertising and purely bad business. BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

It was horrible. They said that it was free to file but charged. I will never use them again. Will not refer them to anyone either. Will go back to Turbo Tax where it is actually FREE FREE FREE. Charged me over 100 for both federal and state.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Their services are misleading you intentionally for maximum gain. You have a free option yet it doesn't quite work that way, why? Because you will jump through all the hoops to be automatically enrolled into the version that charges you, either by deducting it from your refund or paying upfront. Furthermore most importantly they say nothing about a company called Santa Barbara tax group LLC on their website, if you decide to elect the payment deducted from refund, your refund is not going to you, rather it is going to Santa Barbara tax group LLC instead, and they can do whatever they want with your refund usually imposing a hold on your account, asking for additional information.

Look at the reviews for this company and nobody in their right mind would elect to, or approve of this. The only mention of this company is in fine print when you sign the consent forms when electronically signed within your account during the e-file process. Nowhere else does it voluntarily tell you this information, not in there package details, or site map. This link provided on there website is https://www.taxslayer.com/policies/refund-options and it only says your refund will be directly sent to you. It's a lie, its all decieving B.S... Read reviews on Santa Barbara Tax Group LLC... They will now be getting my refund and guess what? They have my account on hold. I have provided them with information to prove my identity yet my account is still on hold.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Very unprofessional and inaccurate! This was the first time I was going to utilize Taxslayer. It was a slow process to get answers to questions and when I did receive the information they provided was incorrect and would have cost me a large amount on my taxes. Requested a refund of the fee I paid them based on their error since decided to utilize a different preparer and they refused. Stated because I had asked the questions - regardless of the incorrect answer they provided - I was not eligible for a refund.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have used TaxSlayer for several years now. I thought they provided a simple, cheap (or free) reliable way to file my taxes. I have the simplest return you could possibly imagine, but I have to first ask customer service to change me to the free version because when I go to log in and start a return they automatically put me on the Classic edition (without asking or making it obvious so that I don't find out until the end that I'm being charged for their 'free' service), and provide no alternative the customer can select themselves.

When I go to log in again, I do get the free version, to start with, but of course after I enter all my info and get to the end it automatically switches me to the Classic edition again. I asked customer service about this and they say that because they see I qualified for the Earned Income Credit, I don't qualify for the free service. I didn't even know that was on my return. They added it without telling me or even asking if I qualify for it. Turns out I don't, but how many people are even going to know that? They were going to charge me for filing my taxes incorrectly, in which case they would have said it was my fault because I'm ultimately responsible for my return.

Fair, but then what service are THEY offering? I can screw my tax return up all on my own. I don't need to pay them $17 to do it for me. Actually, I'm confident I could've done a better job just on my own, without their 'help'. But that's the whole point of using an online service. They're supposed to HELP you NOT screw it up, not slip things in that are actually wrong just so they can 'upgrade' you to the pay version at the end. I think they bank on people not wanting the hassle of starting all over again with a different service and just forking over the cash at the end. Well beware.

I took off the EIC I didn't qualify for, emailed again them to downgrade me to the free version, and they STILL wouldn't do it (because I entered a tiny amount of interest income that was so low - I later found out on my own - it didn't actually even need to be entered; but of course THEY won't tell you that). So I switched to Tax Act. Their service actually IS free, and they ask a lot more questions to make sure you file correctly. It was actually through them that I found out I didn't qualify for the EIC. I kept going back to TaxSlayer though thinking it would be easier to keep all my info with the same provider, but in the end it just wasn't worth it. TaxSlayer is downright negligent, in my opinion. They'll tack on anything without even telling you just to arbitrarily bump you up to the paid service level. Save your money, avoid penalties, file with another provider.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have been trying to submit both federal and state and it has been rejected 8 times. No indication when I filed every time. They don't even review before filing to advise of errors. And they charged for state return and it still hasn't gone through after 2 weeks. I will never use this program again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Suddenly stopped getting emails from Taxslayer to AOL email. With 2 part authentication, this means the account can't be logged into with no workaround. Support has no response. Also, they have shady tiers for filing tax charges.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I opted to have an almost $6,00 refund put on a prepaid card, even though I have a bank account, just to get the refund advance loan. I even have a confirmation email. Now Taxslayer is saying I didn't apply and MetaBank has no record of my application. They are crooks trying to push their prepaid card. Please go elsewhere for your tax preparation needs. This is my first and last time.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Paid for this. Could not e-file. Had to mail in, still got charged. They were no help. Did what they said still could not file. Will never give you your money back. I contacted several times for help. Got the same answers. Did all of it. Still got nowhere. Why pay and not be happy.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I paid $70 to have get my taxes done and filed. I got a flag on an item and I requested help from their tax professionals. I changed what they said I needed to change to fix the problem. Sent it. It got rejected. I contacted their help again and followed what they said I needed to do to fix it. Sent it. Rejected again. They would not refund my money even though I was paying to get my taxes filed. I went to freetaxusa.com and no issue.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Me and my husband have been long time Taxslayer users. Never had an issue until this year. We filed our taxes on 1/17/19. Everything was accepted on 1/22. We were approved for the fast cash advance through Taxslayer and received the Green Dot card. Now... nothing. Sbtpg website and phone lines say they have not received our federal acceptance. MetaBank has no record of our loan application. And Taxslayer says there is nothing they can do. I am beyond frustrated. Now we are stuck getting our whole refund on the damn Green Dot card, that we only got due to the refund advance. I will not be using Taxslayer, Green Dot, or attempting the loan ever again. They treat people horribly!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I am a long term TaxSlayer customer of 14 years. I called customer support and asked if I could get a refund advance direct to my checking account and was notified that I would need to opt for the new Green Dot Card to receive it. Reluctantly after the call I filed my taxes and opted for the card so I could get the advertised refund advance 24 hours after it was accepted by the IRS. My new green card arrived in the mail and no money had been posted to it. My refund had been accepted by the IRS on the 23rd of Jan. Since it was over 72 hours after being accepted I called TaxSlayer customer support. I talked to numerous technicians and no-one could help provide a reason why. I finally got in touch with a customer service supervisor and he found that since I'm Active Duty Military my free classic TaxSlayer account didn't qualify for the advance. Unfortunately he was unable to help since the issue was at a much higher level.

The biggest issue I have is that the 24 hour tax advance is advertised for classic, premium, and ultimate accounts. There isn't any information regarding active duty filing taxes being ineligible for the refund advance. Now I'm stuck with not receiving a tax refund advance but also receiving my full tax refund on a card I necessarily didn't want. Also the fact that this issue affects the many men and women who serve will not receive a refund advance they were expecting. Someone please fix this!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Said it was free, then changed it to classic and charged. Without warning that it was going to happen. What a big joke. Will NEVER use it again, or refer it to anyone. Made me wait 'til the end to find out, so I didn't feel up to filing with Turbo Tax 'til the next day.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I filed my tax return ON TIME on the DUE DATE. I sent an email asking if my payment was processed. No response. (24 HR TURNAROUND ON EMAILS?) I checked the following day and discovered the return was rejected due to a pin number that was supposedly incorrect. I received no notice, no confirmation. I signed up for text messaging - but no text message. Now I will be charged LATE PENALTY 5% of my TAX BILL! IS NO ONE WORKING AT THAT OFFICE ANYMORE?

Original review: April 19, 2018

Only needed to do simple 1040 EZ Return and both federal and state was supposedly to be free. However, upon finishing taxes, they wanted to charge $52.00 to complete a "Simple Free" filing. Classic bait and switch! Stay away from this unscrupulous company. Ended up using Credit Karma who was true to their word of actually being true! Credit Karma a good company!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I felt so strongly about being mislead and almost scammed by them. I created an account on Consumer Affairs just to write this review. TaxSlayer says all over their website "Simply Free" for a 1040EZ and state return, but when you get to the end of the return, it adds on a "Classic Package Upgrade" for no stated reason, and there is no way to remove it. I even deleted my entire return, and made sure I clicked on the "Simply Free" option again and made sure I only clicked "continue" through all the options after entering my W-4, but what do you know, at the end it tacked on the fee again.

I called them, and was on wait for 54 minutes, meanwhile my online session timed out, so I re-logged in, and what do you know, the banner in the corner for my return quietly and magically changed from "Free Edition" to "Classic Edition" without me changing one thing. It just proves to me that they're clearly hoping you aren't paying attention and won't want to go through the trouble of entering everything again, so you'll just pay. By the way, I never reached a customer service agent, I hung up before I had been on the phone for anything more than a hour! Such a bad service that's tricky, misleading, and blatantly lying about what they are offering you.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I selected free to file Federal, and it says you can do one state free. I did my only resident state and it STILL charges me 24 dollars for a state file and a "classic upgrade" which I did NOT do. Do not waste your time.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had researched what company to use to file my simple taxes for free. TaxSlayer offered "free federal tax return for 1040EZ, 1040 & 1040A." After going through the entire filing process, and denying any upgrades or add'l services, they wouldn't let me file without paying a $24 filing fee for making a retirement contribution. Based on their advertisement of "free filing," I feel this charge is fraudulent.

Taxslayer.com expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TaxSlayer started out in 1992 as a software package for tax professionals. In 1998, the company created a basic online version for individual taxpayer use. Today, the TaxSlayer program is a full-featured product that can compete with industry leaders.

• Military edition: Active duty military can prepare and file their federal and state returns for free using TaxSlayer.

• Economical: TaxSlayer is inexpensive; a comprehensive federal return can be prepared and filed for as little as $9.95, including live phone support.

• Prior year return: In 2013, TaxSlayer launched a new prior year return service, which allows taxpayers to prepare and file a return for the previous tax year.

• Mobile app: TaxSlayer does not currently have a mobile app.

• Refund options: Prepaid debit card option is not available for consumers expecting a tax refund.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Taxslayer.com Company Information