1.38/5
Based on 80 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

120 Taxslayer.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2018

Only needed to do simple 1040 EZ Return and both federal and state was supposedly to be free. However, upon finishing taxes, they wanted to charge $52.00 to complete a "Simple Free" filing. Classic bait and switch! Stay away from this unscrupulous company. Ended up using Credit Karma who was true to their word of actually being true! Credit Karma a good company!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I felt so strongly about being mislead and almost scammed by them. I created an account on Consumer Affairs just to write this review. TaxSlayer says all over their website "Simply Free" for a 1040EZ and state return, but when you get to the end of the return, it adds on a "Classic Package Upgrade" for no stated reason, and there is no way to remove it. I even deleted my entire return, and made sure I clicked on the "Simply Free" option again and made sure I only clicked "continue" through all the options after entering my W-4, but what do you know, at the end it tacked on the fee again.

I called them, and was on wait for 54 minutes, meanwhile my online session timed out, so I re-logged in, and what do you know, the banner in the corner for my return quietly and magically changed from "Free Edition" to "Classic Edition" without me changing one thing. It just proves to me that they're clearly hoping you aren't paying attention and won't want to go through the trouble of entering everything again, so you'll just pay. By the way, I never reached a customer service agent, I hung up before I had been on the phone for anything more than a hour! Such a bad service that's tricky, misleading, and blatantly lying about what they are offering you.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I selected free to file Federal, and it says you can do one state free. I did my only resident state and it STILL charges me 24 dollars for a state file and a "classic upgrade" which I did NOT do. Do not waste your time.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had researched what company to use to file my simple taxes for free. TaxSlayer offered "free federal tax return for 1040EZ, 1040 & 1040A." After going through the entire filing process, and denying any upgrades or add'l services, they wouldn't let me file without paying a $24 filing fee for making a retirement contribution. Based on their advertisement of "free filing," I feel this charge is fraudulent.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have been with this company since 2014 and in the past two years I have had trouble filing my taxes. Last year I had to download instructions and forms from the IRS. This year they filed my state tax form and it can back accepted, even though it wasn’t complete. I was under the impression that taxes would not be filed until complete. I paid to prepare both federal and state taxes, in the past, they would not release the state form unless the federal was already submitted. I emailed them and all they said to submit the federal form. Well, that doesn’t work, since the state relies on the federal form for much information.

So I called an agent and she said I had to pay $41 (in addition to $59) to “amend” the forms then mail them myself! I paid for a service and fee. l inconvenienced and ripped off. In a follow up email I was asked why I elected to amend the returns. It is very apparent they don’t know what they are doing. I want a refund of at least the additional costs because I don’t feel at fault in the matter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxslayer.com?

Original review: March 18, 2018

Used the service for the first time and got a refund! First time in 17 yrs! Best service I ever used. The other tax programs have a flaw when calculating married joint vs married separated filing! Having my taxes last year done that we paid $5000! Read many reviews! Petty! The advertising clearly says free for an ez. As far as a refund, be real and understand it doesn’t come magically free — start saving $5 a week! I feel the value I paid was well worth it. Can’t believe some of the reviews... anyone can do their own ez form!!! Why do you depend on procrastination and the feel bad syndrome!

Original review: March 3, 2018

I volunteered to do tax returns for AARP. I spent 8 years doing tax returns as a paid professional, using three different types of professional software. The government supplied us with Taxslayer software to use. I find the software when doing a Wisconsin state return, especially doing Homesteads very time consuming and seldom ever works right. Every time your people have tried to correct it they have made it much worse. It is by far the worst tax software I have ever used. If the government uses this garbage next year I will not volunteer. This software is so bad I don't think it can be fixed.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I had my taxes prepared by a lady who has done my taxes for 3 years and this is the first time that I have ever asked for a Rapid and this is what happened. I was suppose to get a $1000 as a Rapid because they said that I was approved for it and it would be in my account in 2 to 4 days. When it never showed up I gave them a call and they told me that I wouldn't be getting the Rapid because my business had a loss. This was the early part of February because my taxes was accepted on 2/8/18. I kept checking the "Where's my Refund". It told me that it was received and then on 2/17/18 my sister called me and asked did my status change, I said NO, my sister and my daughters status had changed. They got their money on 2/22/18...

Let me say this. When I called RIVER Bank that was suppose to give me the RAPID, when the Rep answered the phone I thought I had the incorrect number because he answered the phone like he was at home... I was skeptical about giving him my information because I wasn't sure I was talking to a Bank. I never received the Emails that said they would keep me posted from beginning to end... Had I never contacted my Tax person I wouldn't have known that my RAPID wasn't accepted!

Finally I decided to call the IRS which was on 3/1/18. They told me that my direct deposit will be delayed by about 2 weeks... So we are talking the middle of March if the rep wasn't just puffing smoke. I believe that I was flagged because of this RAPID that I didn't get! The IRS did say that she didn't see any issues with my refund and I should get it soon... So I am crossing my fingers! I work all year not claiming any depends so that I can get the biggest refund and now I may not get anything because of this company! I am thinking about filing a class action suit with others who have been duped by this company! I will not use them for future tax purposes ever again! Next year I am going to use TurboTax like everyone I know who got their money either on the 17th if they didn't have dependents and on the 22 for those who did... Except me of course!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I decided to use TaxSlayer this year as opposed to TurboTax because of the full front page ad in USA Today advertising their RefundNOW service. Where they provide an advance on your refund within 48 hours of acceptance by the IRS. I researched and researched before I used the product, read reviews, and decided that I was willing to pay for the service which is the one eligible for RefundNOW. It turns out that your federal return has to be a minimum of 1500 dollars to qualify for RefundNOW. I feel more than a little mislead that I had such a hard time getting this information and mildly betrayed that I paid for an upgraded version (they have a free one) in hopes that I would have access to a service that I was not even eligible for. There is no benefit to this product over Turbo Tax unless your return is over 1500 dollars.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Completed my "free" tax filing only to be informed it was $65.00 and I am not getting a Rapid Now refund. Everyone should avoid this company. It's nothing but a scam and join a Civil case against them. Contact https://www.ftc.gov/ and file a report. They have already been sued.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I typically use another tax preparation site. But this year I needed my money faster than the typical 21 days the IRS takes to get your refund to you. I filed my return and received a 1200+ dollar refund. I chose to have it delivered to my bank account. I also agreed to give a 25.00 fee to the bank associated with the Refund Now loans. I filed over the weekend and waited all day Monday. I received no communication other than my refund was accepted by the IRS. I sent an e-mail to the support team, and they will get back in 72 hours. I called customer care which isn't a toll free number, and was told, "You didn't get enough of a refund to qualify." So I cannot even get a 500.00 loan on the 1200+ refund that I am guaranteed from the IRS! I paid 25.00 for nothing! Next year I think I may file at the IRS site for free and just count on 21 days! I am in a bind now!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

My 2018 refund - Like everyone else this was my first time using Taxslayer. I went with them for the refund now because every year go through different companies but paying them 200.00 to 300.00 to prepare it for me and always got a refund now. I was declined and when I would call them I would get nowhere and nothing but lies from them. I contacted the technical support about my state refund and got a bush of ** answers. I hope and pray I get my refund and don't get audited. NO ONE SHOULD USE THE COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

This is the first year I have attempted to use Taxslayer and it will be my last. I used them because of the RefundNOW now option. It said I was approved during the e-file process and I received an email stating the next steps in the RefundNOW process and that I would receive emails each step of the way. Well my return was accepted and I got the email for that, but have not received anything concerning RefundNOW. I emailed support and they tell me on their end it says not approved. Well I do not understand why during the program I was approved, received the email on what to expect and now not approved. I am beginning to believe the RefundNOW is just a hoax to get people to file with them. Not even worth giving 1 star.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

36 years old, always have done my own taxes. The first time I got rejected with an e-file was with TaxSlayer. They provided no help. They told me that I could not get my refund now because I did not apply for it the 3rd time. There was no 2nd time. I spent hours on the phone with these people. The software is not easy to use, and you can get audited because it is so easy to fill out your return incorrectly. I never had an issue with H&R Block, TurboTax, and others. This company is a joke. I used them because I wanted the refund now option. It doesn't exist. Stay away from TaxSlayer!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Liars!!! No refund no loan!!! They told me 3 different things, first day of acceptance from IRS, the 8th of January, then the website says January 17th!!! Supervisors even lied thru their teeth. Can you say TURBOTAX next year???

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Using as a volunteer preparer for the AARP Tax-Aide program. TaxSlayer has the most irritating, awkward, error educing, clumsy, time consuming data entry procedures of any program I have ever experienced. There are inconsistencies and hidden or mislabeled popups everywhere. Every entry has to be saved independently. If not - amazingly, it's lost.The program is apparently designed with the idea that it can be for users with no tax knowledge whatsoever. Even in that regard, I would not recommend it for anyone, or for anything. There are good well designed programs available. I give TaxSlayer grade of "F" for total failure.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Don't download the trial version of the software... They harass you with annoying solicitation via telephone. They interrupted me while I was trying to meet with someone else. So rude! Why would any reputable company bother people with telephone solicitation? Shame on them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

THEIR WEBSITE WAS HACKED, MANY TIMES. Do NOT use Tax Slayer! Their website is not secure and customer service is a joke. Tax Slayer was breached last year, leaving thousands at risk with their SSN stolen, as well as phone number and address. Someone tried to file taxes with my ID after the incident as well as trick me by calling me and pretending to be an IRS agent. TaxSlayer wrote a letter informing me, however never apologized in the letter or offered any compensation for damages. They gave me free fraud protection service but that service was fake and actually didn't do anything. I filed my taxes with them for the last time and they still charged me a fee even after my ID was stolen. Never using them again. I actually saved MORE money using a competitor service this year, don't let the price fool you, they won't save you money, only rob you of everything.

Original review: July 31, 2017

On my 2016 return my wife had health insurance coverage for 10 months and her carrier dropped her when we moved to Florida and she qualified for an exemption, When I filled out the form online I showed the 10 months she had coverage. The form Taxslayer sent the IRS showed her having no coverage therefore we were fined. I went to their site to file an amended return and they want $42 on top of the fee I paid for premium service on filing the original return. Just this week I got another notice from the IRS saying we owed over $3000 because Taxslayer didn't file the 8889 form for distributions on my wife's HSA. Now we have to dig up all of her medical receipts from 2 years ago to prove the medical expenses. Do not use Taxslayer!!

Original review: June 30, 2017

After expressing dissatisfaction with Taxslayer software for professionals, I was forced to sign up for another year of their software because they held on to $1,095 of refunds entitled to my office FIRM1040. They have refused to refund me my money and I had to get legal involved. Still haven't received my funds and I'm still not using their software, which was slow, took minutes to bring up pdf return, couldn't efile a NY amendment, freezing up, etc... Return our funds and stop making money off of business owners like this!!!

Original review: April 17, 2017

I started filling out my son's taxes using Taxslayer 'cause the processing rate was low. I printed out the return and paid the fee. Then before I hit the e-File button I thought I'd try TurboTax since the return showed he was going to have to pay just under $2000 to Federal. With TT they only owe $82 and get lots more back on State. When I contacted Taxslayer they won't refund the money since I printed the return. This is not what their website says -- it states no refund on processing AFTER you e-File! I went back to them again and now they have gone radio silent. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! MINUS STARS!

Original review: April 2, 2017

Ridiculous bait and switch. I've used TaxSlayer for years, always with the Free Edition for federal, although in years past I've had to pay $15-$20 for my state filing. I'm not married, don't own a house, and don't do crazy securities trading - the kinds of things that complicate a tax return. This year started off fine with the free version, but on reaching the VERY END of the process, I was told TaxSlayer had to upgrade me to align with what the IRS needed, which comes to $27 for federal and $22 for state. Extremely annoyed TS waited until I was COMPLETELY FINISHED with my return before telling me this would be necessary. No matter how easy a site is to use, setting an expectation and then breaking it makes for a terrible experience.

Original review: March 23, 2017

NEVER, NEVER USE TAXSLAYER FOR BUSINESS SOFTWARE PROVIDER. 2016 tax year been the worst out of five years. First time with taxslayer and was a nightmare. I had to stop filing returns a month early. It was a hit or miss. Some forms got sent to IRS not complete miscalculated or not there causing my clients to amend their return or to take a major adjustment.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Adequate, having most forms, and very inexpensive. I've been using for 7 years on somewhat complicated return (stocks). Main issues are: you do need to workarounds for obvious faults; like entering W-2 twice when you have more than 4 box 12 entries, entering brokerage accounts twice so that you can add Box 10 tax exempt. Need use Excel if you want to check your entries, as multiple entries show up as single item (can’t trace where values come from). Customer support via email only, generally takes a day. Deduct star or two because need for workarounds.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Taxslayer has horrible customer service and the people you talk to with tax questions have no idea what they are talking about. Do not trust them! I paid the $35 to speak to a "professional" tax adviser. She gave me incorrect information that changed my refund $4,000! When I called to get my money back for talking to someone incompetent, they were horribly ignorant. After hours on the phone they said, "Well this will have to go to management and they will decide..." Which means I won't be seeing my money. Also, don't try leaving a bad review on their website - they don't post them - they only post the good reviews.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

My tax refund from IRS is being kept by a bank used by Taxslayer. When I filed my taxes through Taxslayer I agreed to let the amount for the tax preparation to come out of my taxes. This went through a bank that Taxslayer uses. My refund was issued by the IRS on 2/2/17 but I did not receive my money. I contacted Taxslayer and was told to contact the bank, which I did. They made like my bank rejected the payment and they would send a certified check, which is a lie in my opinion. I as a consumer am so tired of these companies ripping us off. I paid extra to this company for my return to be direct deposited and now am going to have to pay to have a check cashed. Also Taxslayer will not take any responsibility. DO NOT GET CAUGHT IN THEIR TRAP!!! The IRS told me to file a complaint for my refund money being stolen.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I was thinking to launch my tax prep biz for this year hence I purchased software thru my CC from Taxslayer. But they do not state any terms and condition or non-refundable policy or any other terms. Also, there was no options for consumer to deny the terms of agreement but it was check marked as buyer/consumer has accepted terms. This was unethical so immediately I called and cancel my order in less than 10 minutes but they started denial, I have not used their software nor I seen. They charged me $1095 and now not answering phone calls and confirming me refund. Though I submitted an email to Mr. Cody ** in this reference immediately as per his instructions.

Also Mrs. **, when I was trying to understand agreement and terms she said no refund hence I felt something is not right. Also terms and condition was already check marked for me and I cannot changed it. Hence they without the consumer knowledge of terms and conditions takes money, and impose their conditions to consumer without knowledge. Also, one have to create account first in order to access receipt of payment and underneath receipt terms and condition.

After creating the account one can access the payment receipt where terms and conditions link are similarly tick marked for accepted by buyer/client. In either case, terms and conditions are not disclosed to buyer and money charged are not refundable are verbally told to me when I called them to understand their terms and conditions. In short, before you access their actual software they make you to create account with login/password, accept their terms and condition, without that you cannot even know terms and conditions nor they disclose while charging the CC or taking people's money. After charging CC their penalty of $300 and other condition starts and consumer have never had information about it. This is not right as without knowledge the TaxSlayer pocketing people's money and refusing for refund verbally on the phone.

Original review: April 23, 2016

PLEASE BE INFORMED!!! TAXSLAYER'S SYSTEM HAS BEEN BREACHED!!! I am sure there are thousands out there that have not even found this out yet. My tax return was rejected and after speaking to the IRS, someone had already received over $5k using all my information stored on taxslayer.com. Once I contacted Taxslayer, they then informed me of the breach, but told me that my account was not affected. After searching through my junk mail, I was able to find an email sent by Taxslayer at the end of January. It was thanking me for accessing my account and that my tax return was almost complete. The fraudulent return was submitted February 4th, 2016, not long after the email sent from Taxslayer. I did not access Taxslayer website or file my return until March.

I sent this to the Taxslayer representative "Christina" who said she was in charge but refused to give me a last name or id#. Christina's first response during our conversation was blaming the IRS stating "Well, the IRS had 100,000 individual transcripts hacked last year and didn't publicize it" and throughout the conversation she took a stance of defensiveness, denial, and not a bit of concern or empathy for a Taxslayer customer. I was not rude, loud, or confrontational in any way, I just wanted to understand the chain of events that were just "coincidental" according to Christina. The IRS representative couldn't give me all the information but did explain to me that all of the information provided on the fraudulent return perfectly matched my previous year's return. She stated that this is not typical fraud, where someone just gains access to some of your personal information.

Having all of my wife's and 3 dependents' information, as well as mine, could only come from one site, Taxslayer.com. Taxslayer sent one return email claiming 8,800 people were affected by the breach and I was not one of them. As soon as they realized I did not believe that to be true, they stopped communicating altogether. I do not understand how a company of this size would not take customer service seriously. There are no outlets beyond contacting a call center with individuals that have no clue who is in charge and where to direct customers dealing with my current situation.

This situation is life changing for myself and my family. We now have years of concern and extra responsibilities to ensure our identities and personal information are not misused in a way that could devastate all that we have worked so hard to obtain. Taxslayer has shown disproportional amounts of carelessness and disregard for any customer that has entrusted and supported their business. We always hope that people and organizations would stand behind their business with integrity and care for individuals conducting business with them. It will be my top priority to ensure everyone is made aware of the "at your own risk" commitment you are making by conducting business with Taxslayer.com!

Original review: April 21, 2016

TAX SLAYER HACKED. Fake tax returned filed with my information! I've did my online taxes a few years ago using TaxSlayer. Back in February, I got a letter for the IRS saying they believe a fraudulent tax return was filed under my name using all my information. GREAT! So me and my sad little letter go to my local IRS office and they check it out and, YES someone filed a tax report under my name using all my info they pulled off of TaxSlayer. They were getting a $3000 tax return. I wish they did my taxes, because I never get that. They caught it, so the IRS didn't cut a tax return check. For me - I can't file my taxes online. I had to do them and bring them back to the IRS office so they can verify its me, and a real tax return filing be the real me. But now I can't get MY return for 180 days. I have fraud alerts on all my accounts and changed out all my credit cards. What a HUGE pain in the ass TaxSlayer. I needed my return for a car repair. Now what?!

Original review: April 14, 2016

Tax Return Delayed without Notice. Within the first week of February I filed a return through the online tax prep program, TaxSlayer. Something I will never do again. So I filed with TS and selected directed deposit. TaxSlayer told me, within a few days it would be accepted and within 21 days it would be deposited, and that if there were any complications with the deposit, they would send me a paper check.

What happened? Well after a month a few days past the 21, I called the IRS, they told me to speak to my financial institution. I also called TaxSlayer, and useless as they were they also directed me to the IRS. The IRS explained that the amount should be issued out already, unless there was an offset. I call the Treasury to see if there was an offset, they explain that "no", not that they have seen come out and direct me back to my financial institution. At this point, I am told by the IRS if I haven't seen this money come in, that I should fill out an investigation form that will assist in them tracking down where it went, and if it made it to its intended destination. Now it is important that between the back and forth and waiting for this form 2 months since the date the refund was issued has passed. I have received no forms in regards to the return, outside of from the IRS. And the investigation they did come up with it being issued as intended.

I was stumped, till I called the Treasury one more time and got a kernel of information I could actually use. Civista Bank is the bank that received the payment. I immediately googled them, and find I was not alone or even unique as far as the issue I had. SO I called, according to their first agent, and echoed all the way to their department manager. It was my responsibility to contact them earlier, and due to how long I took, they were holding the money for me, but now needed to send it back, to the IRS, before it can be sent back to me.

Additionally, despite never corresponding with me, via telepathy or anything for that matter, they continued and said that after 3 months there was no way they could change the address it was set to go to initially. Here I caught them in a few lies. Their head department manager stated that when the return comes back it is in a read-only state and no changes can be made. Contradictory to the first woman telling me there was nothing they could do because of how long I took. Also another lie was when I mentioned that I would call my lawyer to complain, they put my call back into the customer service queue and disconnected my call.

I never knew explicitly that they would be my depositing bank, and as it stands it seems that the direct deposit information I send to TaxSlayer is on a legal document, but is altered when issued to the IRS without my knowledge, and the Direct Deposit information I legally agreed to, is obviously replaced with Civista's so they may act as the in-between. However they don't explicitly tell you and are not forthcoming with any information pertaining to its progress. Which by entering that information and holding MY money they are acting as my Bank, and there should be certain assurances along with client privilege of sorts to their own information. Why was I not informed of the account number or reference information for a bank holding thousands of my own dollars?

I will not stop with this single complaint however I am also planning to reach out to TaxSlayer and make a complaint with them as well as the lesser evil in this situation. And despite all of this I still don't have that money, it is still being held, for an undetermined amount of time, just to be sent to the IRS, so they may update my address before mailing to me. Again because Civista refuses to change the address information for me, although they seem more than willing to act as my bank and hold my money anyway. This is extortion. They have money and funds of mine and have no concept of legal barrier to keep at the very least informed.

Taxslayer.com expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TaxSlayer started out in 1992 as a software package for tax professionals. In 1998, the company created a basic online version for individual taxpayer use. Today, the TaxSlayer program is a full-featured product that can compete with industry leaders.

• Military edition: Active duty military can prepare and file their federal and state returns for free using TaxSlayer.

• Economical: TaxSlayer is inexpensive; a comprehensive federal return can be prepared and filed for as little as $9.95, including live phone support.

• Prior year return: In 2013, TaxSlayer launched a new prior year return service, which allows taxpayers to prepare and file a return for the previous tax year.

• Mobile app: TaxSlayer does not currently have a mobile app.

• Refund options: Prepaid debit card option is not available for consumers expecting a tax refund.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby

Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Taxslayer.com Company Information