Taxslayer.com

Compare Tax Services

Research top Tax Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I started filling out my son's taxes using Taxslayer 'cause the processing rate was low. I printed out the return and paid the fee. Then before I hit the e-File button I thought I'd try TurboTax since the return showed he was going to have to pay just under $2000 to Federal. With TT they only owe $82 and get lots more back on State. When I contacted Taxslayer they won't refund the money since I printed the return. This is not what their website says -- it states no refund on processing AFTER you e-File! I went back to them again and now they have gone radio silent. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! MINUS STARS!

Ridiculous bait and switch. I've used TaxSlayer for years, always with the Free Edition for federal, although in years past I've had to pay $15-$20 for my state filing. I'm not married, don't own a house, and don't do crazy securities trading - the kinds of things that complicate a tax return. This year started off fine with the free version, but on reaching the VERY END of the process, I was told TaxSlayer had to upgrade me to align with what the IRS needed, which comes to $27 for federal and $22 for state. Extremely annoyed TS waited until I was COMPLETELY FINISHED with my return before telling me this would be necessary. No matter how easy a site is to use, setting an expectation and then breaking it makes for a terrible experience.

NEVER, NEVER USE TAXSLAYER FOR BUSINESS SOFTWARE PROVIDER. 2016 tax year been the worst out of five years. First time with taxslayer and was a nightmare. I had to stop filing returns a month early. It was a hit or miss. Some forms got sent to IRS not complete miscalculated or not there causing my clients to amend their return or to take a major adjustment.

Adequate, having most forms, and very inexpensive. I've been using for 7 years on somewhat complicated return (stocks). Main issues are: you do need to workarounds for obvious faults; like entering W-2 twice when you have more than 4 box 12 entries, entering brokerage accounts twice so that you can add Box 10 tax exempt. Need use Excel if you want to check your entries, as multiple entries show up as single item (can’t trace where values come from). Customer support via email only, generally takes a day. Deduct star or two because need for workarounds.

Taxslayer has horrible customer service and the people you talk to with tax questions have no idea what they are talking about. Do not trust them! I paid the $35 to speak to a "professional" tax adviser. She gave me incorrect information that changed my refund $4,000! When I called to get my money back for talking to someone incompetent, they were horribly ignorant. After hours on the phone they said, "Well this will have to go to management and they will decide..." Which means I won't be seeing my money. Also, don't try leaving a bad review on their website - they don't post them - they only post the good reviews.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxslayer.com?

My tax refund from IRS is being kept by a bank used by Taxslayer. When I filed my taxes through Taxslayer I agreed to let the amount for the tax preparation to come out of my taxes. This went through a bank that Taxslayer uses. My refund was issued by the IRS on 2/2/17 but I did not receive my money. I contacted Taxslayer and was told to contact the bank, which I did. They made like my bank rejected the payment and they would send a certified check, which is a lie in my opinion. I as a consumer am so tired of these companies ripping us off. I paid extra to this company for my return to be direct deposited and now am going to have to pay to have a check cashed. Also Taxslayer will not take any responsibility. DO NOT GET CAUGHT IN THEIR TRAP!!! The IRS told me to file a complaint for my refund money being stolen.

I was thinking to launch my tax prep biz for this year hence I purchased software thru my CC from Taxslayer. But they do not state any terms and condition or non-refundable policy or any other terms. Also, there was no options for consumer to deny the terms of agreement but it was check marked as buyer/consumer has accepted terms. This was unethical so immediately I called and cancel my order in less than 10 minutes but they started denial, I have not used their software nor I seen. They charged me $1095 and now not answering phone calls and confirming me refund. Though I submitted an email to Mr. Cody ** in this reference immediately as per his instructions.

Also Mrs. **, when I was trying to understand agreement and terms she said no refund hence I felt something is not right. Also terms and condition was already check marked for me and I cannot changed it. Hence they without the consumer knowledge of terms and conditions takes money, and impose their conditions to consumer without knowledge. Also, one have to create account first in order to access receipt of payment and underneath receipt terms and condition.

After creating the account one can access the payment receipt where terms and conditions link are similarly tick marked for accepted by buyer/client. In either case, terms and conditions are not disclosed to buyer and money charged are not refundable are verbally told to me when I called them to understand their terms and conditions. In short, before you access their actual software they make you to create account with login/password, accept their terms and condition, without that you cannot even know terms and conditions nor they disclose while charging the CC or taking people's money. After charging CC their penalty of $300 and other condition starts and consumer have never had information about it. This is not right as without knowledge the TaxSlayer pocketing people's money and refusing for refund verbally on the phone.

PLEASE BE INFORMED!!! TAXSLAYER'S SYSTEM HAS BEEN BREACHED!!! I am sure there are thousands out there that have not even found this out yet. My tax return was rejected and after speaking to the IRS, someone had already received over $5k using all my information stored on taxslayer.com. Once I contacted Taxslayer, they then informed me of the breach, but told me that my account was not affected. After searching through my junk mail, I was able to find an email sent by Taxslayer at the end of January. It was thanking me for accessing my account and that my tax return was almost complete. The fraudulent return was submitted February 4th, 2016, not long after the email sent from Taxslayer. I did not access Taxslayer website or file my return until March.

I sent this to the Taxslayer representative "Christina" who said she was in charge but refused to give me a last name or id#. Christina's first response during our conversation was blaming the IRS stating "Well, the IRS had 100,000 individual transcripts hacked last year and didn't publicize it" and throughout the conversation she took a stance of defensiveness, denial, and not a bit of concern or empathy for a Taxslayer customer. I was not rude, loud, or confrontational in any way, I just wanted to understand the chain of events that were just "coincidental" according to Christina. The IRS representative couldn't give me all the information but did explain to me that all of the information provided on the fraudulent return perfectly matched my previous year's return. She stated that this is not typical fraud, where someone just gains access to some of your personal information.

Having all of my wife's and 3 dependents' information, as well as mine, could only come from one site, Taxslayer.com. Taxslayer sent one return email claiming 8,800 people were affected by the breach and I was not one of them. As soon as they realized I did not believe that to be true, they stopped communicating altogether. I do not understand how a company of this size would not take customer service seriously. There are no outlets beyond contacting a call center with individuals that have no clue who is in charge and where to direct customers dealing with my current situation.

This situation is life changing for myself and my family. We now have years of concern and extra responsibilities to ensure our identities and personal information are not misused in a way that could devastate all that we have worked so hard to obtain. Taxslayer has shown disproportional amounts of carelessness and disregard for any customer that has entrusted and supported their business. We always hope that people and organizations would stand behind their business with integrity and care for individuals conducting business with them. It will be my top priority to ensure everyone is made aware of the "at your own risk" commitment you are making by conducting business with Taxslayer.com!

TAX SLAYER HACKED. Fake tax returned filed with my information! I've did my online taxes a few years ago using TaxSlayer. Back in February, I got a letter for the IRS saying they believe a fraudulent tax return was filed under my name using all my information. GREAT! So me and my sad little letter go to my local IRS office and they check it out and, YES someone filed a tax report under my name using all my info they pulled off of TaxSlayer. They were getting a $3000 tax return. I wish they did my taxes, because I never get that. They caught it, so the IRS didn't cut a tax return check. For me - I can't file my taxes online. I had to do them and bring them back to the IRS office so they can verify its me, and a real tax return filing be the real me. But now I can't get MY return for 180 days. I have fraud alerts on all my accounts and changed out all my credit cards. What a HUGE pain in the ass TaxSlayer. I needed my return for a car repair. Now what?!

Tax Return Delayed without Notice. Within the first week of February I filed a return through the online tax prep program, TaxSlayer. Something I will never do again. So I filed with TS and selected directed deposit. TaxSlayer told me, within a few days it would be accepted and within 21 days it would be deposited, and that if there were any complications with the deposit, they would send me a paper check.

What happened? Well after a month a few days past the 21, I called the IRS, they told me to speak to my financial institution. I also called TaxSlayer, and useless as they were they also directed me to the IRS. The IRS explained that the amount should be issued out already, unless there was an offset. I call the Treasury to see if there was an offset, they explain that "no", not that they have seen come out and direct me back to my financial institution. At this point, I am told by the IRS if I haven't seen this money come in, that I should fill out an investigation form that will assist in them tracking down where it went, and if it made it to its intended destination. Now it is important that between the back and forth and waiting for this form 2 months since the date the refund was issued has passed. I have received no forms in regards to the return, outside of from the IRS. And the investigation they did come up with it being issued as intended.

I was stumped, till I called the Treasury one more time and got a kernel of information I could actually use. Civista Bank is the bank that received the payment. I immediately googled them, and find I was not alone or even unique as far as the issue I had. SO I called, according to their first agent, and echoed all the way to their department manager. It was my responsibility to contact them earlier, and due to how long I took, they were holding the money for me, but now needed to send it back, to the IRS, before it can be sent back to me.

Additionally, despite never corresponding with me, via telepathy or anything for that matter, they continued and said that after 3 months there was no way they could change the address it was set to go to initially. Here I caught them in a few lies. Their head department manager stated that when the return comes back it is in a read-only state and no changes can be made. Contradictory to the first woman telling me there was nothing they could do because of how long I took. Also another lie was when I mentioned that I would call my lawyer to complain, they put my call back into the customer service queue and disconnected my call.

I never knew explicitly that they would be my depositing bank, and as it stands it seems that the direct deposit information I send to TaxSlayer is on a legal document, but is altered when issued to the IRS without my knowledge, and the Direct Deposit information I legally agreed to, is obviously replaced with Civista's so they may act as the in-between. However they don't explicitly tell you and are not forthcoming with any information pertaining to its progress. Which by entering that information and holding MY money they are acting as my Bank, and there should be certain assurances along with client privilege of sorts to their own information. Why was I not informed of the account number or reference information for a bank holding thousands of my own dollars?

I will not stop with this single complaint however I am also planning to reach out to TaxSlayer and make a complaint with them as well as the lesser evil in this situation. And despite all of this I still don't have that money, it is still being held, for an undetermined amount of time, just to be sent to the IRS, so they may update my address before mailing to me. Again because Civista refuses to change the address information for me, although they seem more than willing to act as my bank and hold my money anyway. This is extortion. They have money and funds of mine and have no concept of legal barrier to keep at the very least informed.

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! I used Taxslayer last year to file 1040A. I completed my 2015 return and was ready to file and found out I had been upgraded, w/out notification or confirmation, to the basic edition and would have to pay $12.99. Apparently the upgrade was automatic when I selected a 1040A return because they no longer offer free filling of anything but the 1040EZ. I was not notified of the change, that I would be charged, or that my account had been changed/upgraded. I tried getting customer service via e-mail, getting only a computer generated form letter in response.

I then called and after an extended wait received the worst (lack of) customer service I have ever experienced. I explained that I thought it was unethical to upgrade a customer account from a free to paid account without notification. I said that I felt that they wait till you have already spent hours doing the return to tell you you'll be charged because most people will just pay rather than have to start all over on another site.

The representatives were rude, condescending and completely unapologetic. I spoke to a supervisor who had the same attitude. They said that there was nothing they could do and that they had no control over the site's design. I asked to speak to someone who does or another supervisor. I was denied and the employees would not give their names or even an ID number after I said that I didn't appreciate the rudeness, lack of concern and the fact that not one person had even apologized.

I told them that had anyone been courteous enough to apologize or made any effort to find a way to resolve the issue I may have just paid the money and stayed a customer. That did not happen. After considering I decided not to support a company like this, who I feel uses unethical tactics to make people pay for fees/upgrades they did not want or were even aware they had been enrolled in. I used TURBO TAX INSTEAD! TURBOTAX is great they offer REAL FREE filling of 1040EZ/1040A & this they are also offering free filling for state returns! I was able to redo my taxes and file both my returns with TURBOTAX in less time than I spent waiting on hold and getting nowhere with taxslayer.

So I tried to file my own tax this year to save money (What a joke). I did everything right so I thought but it was a issue and wouldn't let me finish on the income section. The return kept coming back so the girl at Taxslayer told me to put a 1.00 amount to show I made this to get past income. It went through, but IRS eventually sent it back and what was the problem? The 1.00 amount that same girl told me to put. So I decided I would go to a professional which I thought that's what Taxslayer had.

I contacted Taxslayer because they claimed they do money back if not satisfied (Another Joke). They told me to send in the letter that IRS gave me and a supervisor would review it. Well I had to contact them again over the internet and they finally responded. They decided to not refund me because they said it was for 2014 when it's clear in the letter it was for 2015. This company did not refund me and all they gave me was poor service on top of wrong information for my tax. So pretty much once you send your money to them you don't get it back. I will stick to H&R Block or TurboTax (The real professionals).

I did my taxes for 2013 and 2014 with no problem with Taxslayer so I file with them again for 2015. It didn't prompt me to enter box 12a and check box DD. Showed good refund. Sent taxes on 01/28/2016, still waiting. ERROR caused delay on tax return.

What gives? My oldest daughter filed and was charged $14.99 to get her state return and my younger daughter was charged $23.99. Then, I see that their basic is $12.99. Really, I do NOT recommend a service that is all over the map. Their process is not difficult, but it is a bit unnerving. Maybe I am spoiled with TurboTax (which I have used for years and will continue to do so for my own return). Hoping that their returns get filed at this point.

I literally signed up to this site just to complain about how bad and annoying Taxslayer is. Let me start off by saying it used to be free for military, a year ago, now you get 50% off... NOT the end of the world but it gets better. While you are going thru the process of filing your taxes, at the end you have to sign up for some cavista bank account, giving them all this information like your driver's license number and all that. I've never had to do this and I've used Taxslayer for about 3 years now (this being my third year) you don't know about all this till the very end after you press continue a bunch of times and then BOOM, they get you with their $5.00 bank return refund fee. -_- Really??? Anything to make a buck off of you.

The only reason I stayed with them is because it took me almost an hour to file my taxes reading what deductions and what not I could before I hit the continue button a bunch of times to skip all the useless stuff, it's an hour I'll never get back just like the 10 minutes it's taking me filing this out. File your taxes on post for free, skip this website at ALL COSTS! Unless you're lazy. Taxslayer you failed me, you used to be awesome but now you're just as money hungry as the rest of them. One thing I can say about them though, is their customer service isn't bad. I called about a question I had and whoever the customer service rep was, she was very professional. So they're OK at least in that department.

TaxSlayer is not allowing me access to my last year's tax return on the basis that I do not have a copy of my ex-husband's driver's license. I gave them every other piece of highly important and private information accurately proving exactly who I was. They wasted hours of my time and energy only to tell me that I would not be able to have any access to them whatsoever. Very disorganized and frustrating.

Errors in their software and they won't admit it. Worked with their support team on two issues. Easy logical issues. 1. HSA accounts Form 8889 Taxpayers are entitled to an income credit for post tax money put into the HSA account. If you have one, then you qualify. Their software would accept my contributions but would not enter Line 3 which is the IRS limit for family which is 6650. This has nothing to do with your entries, it should be an auto fill in if you have made any contributions as it calculates your credit if you have put in post tax money, if only pretax money, well no credit of course. Couldn't get them to read the IRS instructions, just gave me boiler plate email answers.

2. A distribution for an Inherited Ira is not a income event as long as you follow the inherited rules. Despite entering in the proper dist code ID'ing it as a death benefit, it added it to the IRA distributions. Final story, go to TurboTax, they did it right the first, all the issues above were correctly entered and refund was greater than Taxslayer.com. Stay away.

I completed a federal return on Taxslayer on the 10th Jan 16 and noticed it would not be e-filed until 19 Jan. So the next day on the 11th Jan, I contacted Taxslayer and requested the action cancelled considering it had not been processed. I was informed that I would need to go back into the return and start the process all over and input my birthdate incorrect so the IRS would decline the return. Ok that was no problem, but when I ask for my $12.99 back, I was informed that Taxslayer DOES NOT refund any money whether the return is processed or not. Needless to say I will NEVER use them again. They will keep your money despite the fact they didn't provide you the service. This is not fair to the consumer and everyone needs to know how these people operate.

Like other reviews below, I too was lured in by Taxslayer's advertisement that the efile was free. When I went to efile and print my returns, I was billed $12.95. Don't use this company, there are other companies who offer a free efile.

I filed my tax return with Taxslayer in January 2015 and my return was due to be released on February 26, 2015. This was confirmed by the "Where's My Refund". I had not gotten a call or email or NOTHING saying that my refund was available. Remind you I e filed and made damn sure that ALL my banking information was correct. The IRS notified me that my refund had gotten adjusted and I am OK with that.

So from FEBRUARY 26, 2015 when my refund was released to TAXSLAYER to APRIL 15, 2015 MY Refund had been in Taxslayer's Account. And I was NEVER told anything!!! I only found out about this through the IRS after I called them, then I called Taxslayer to find out what was going on. And I was told that they had "ALREADY SENT THE FUNDS BACK"!!! NOT TRUE. I've been in constant contact with the IRS and being told by Taxslayer that my refund was sent to San Francisco to the "RISO" DIVISION! And this is what I told the IRS and they're still investigating the issue... No MONEY has showed up in my account with the IRS YET.

Taxslayer fraudulently advertised free tax filing assistance but after giving information they charged me $17.95 which I did not pay. As a result they submitted false information to the IRS which tripled what I originally owed.

I used Taxslayer for the first time based on my boyfriend's previous positive experiences over the past few years. At first, it seemed fine for the federal return. But I never got a confirmation email. Then I tried to file state taxes but they told me I'd have to wait several hours until my federal e-return processed. Today (Apr 15 2015) I tried to finalize my state form. I accidentally clicked on audit support and went back to cancel it 3x but they wouldn't process my return until I paid not only the $28 state fee but the audit fee of $28 as well. At this point I was against the wall so I conceded and paid the $57 in addition to paying my actual taxes, but I felt extorted. Also I STILL don't have emails confirming from Taxslayer that my e-files went through. Common courtesy, people?! Hope I actually did file my taxes and don't get chased by the IRS.

When I went to pay for my e-file it kept rejecting my bank card and never completed my e-file. Later I was looking at my online banking and saw that they charged my account 4 times. They do not answer the phone and no response to an email.

TAX SLAYER PRO SOFTWARE 2013 practitioner professional software supervisors named ** and sales associate ** refused to give my 2013 client database because of my refusal to renew for the 2014 tax season. ** (sales Associate) emailed a zip drive link to my email (**) that can only be opened by TAXSLAYER PRO TECH SUPPORT. After being on the phone for at least 45 minutes with their tech support the software works temporarily and only allows the printing of one return and the software cancels. When a return call is made **, sales for a new 2104 software package is always demanded.

When the software was purchased 2012 the cost was $250, 2013 $650 and for 2014 ** stated that the only package available was the $1250 package, which I refused. Taxslayer Pro is intentionally denying the 2013 software database I paid for in January 2014. The supervisor (**) stated to me on April 8, 2015, that I was NO longer a client so, tech support will be denied. In 2013-2014 I was a paid client.

From the beginning the website touted "FILE FOR FREE, START YOUR RETURN FOR FREE RIGHT NOW." So you go through the whole twenty five minute Q&A process then you get, "CONGRATULATIONS! YOUR RETURN IS COMPLETE! HOW DO YOU WANT TO PAY $39.79?" They assume since you've gone through the whole ordeal that you'll just fork it over. For SHAME TAXSLAYER!!!!!

I filed my 2014 federal return with Taxslayer.com in February 2015. I then looked into finding another means of e-filing my State return as Taxslayer.com was charging $23.90. I found out through my State's Revenue Department's website that based on income, my family qualified for a free State tax return, and Taxslayer.com was listed as a company with which I could do so.

I then contacted Taxslayer.com Customer Support, and was told that because I did not initially enter Taxslayer.com via the link on my State Revenue Department's website BEFORE filing my federal return, I could not receive a free State tax return via Taxslayer.com. NOWHERE on Taxslayer.com was any notice given throughout any part of the sign in or the filing process of this very pertinent information. A message such as "Check with your State's Department of Revenue website to see if you qualify for a free return" certainly would be helpful and should be necessary by law. TaxSlayer.com's decision to withhold this information would appear dishonest, unethical, and bordering on fraud, as TaxSlayer.com would therefore be knowingly deceptive, withholding pertinent information, with the intention of profiting monetarily from those who qualify for and are entitled to a free State return.

I had around four or five email exchanges with Taxslayer.com's customer support and they refused to offer me any help at all. All they did was inform me that their website states that State returns have a fee. This was not the question or issue, of course, yet they continued to patronize me in each email with this information. In the last email I received I was told they would send my issue to a higher department for review and get back with me. That was on February 10th. Today is April 10th and I've gotten no reply. I have since reported them to my State's Department of Revenue and the FTC for deceptively withholding this information. The fee to file for state is, as of April 10th, now $28.95 on Taxslayer.com.

Have used Taxslayer in the past. Went fine. Tried this year but can't get passed the date of birth entry... why? Because under "February" they only list up to 28 days. My husband is a leap year baby! Whoever made the updates to the website this year needs to have their work double-checked. Ridiculous mistake! Guess we'll be using another provider.

I am a Vietnam Disabled Veteran residing in the State of Wisconsin. Recently did my daughter’s taxes with TaxSlayer. The experience was smooth. After doing my daughter’s taxes, I made an attempt to do my own taxes. Upon completed the tax forms I notice that something was NOT correct. It appeared there was almost a $4000.00 mistake. The mistake was showing I was getting screwed on the said owed amount.

After, exchanged Emails with TaxSlayer support, I discovered TaxSlayer program does not support the Line #46 Wisconsin Tax Form Eligible veterans and surviving spouses property tax credit. Meaning the guided (question & answer) fashion used by TaxSlayer fails to ask questions regarding this property tax credit for 100% disabled veterans. It is likely some disabled veterans like myself will be using TaxSlayer. They will be trusting TaxSlayer will cover all the available credits. This is clearly not the case. Disabled veterans will always feel they have been screwed by Uncle Sam. Now, a major tax filing service is putting the screws to them again. It’s just not fair.

First I want to say that I'm active duty so I use the military version for free. It is always difficult to know how to start a new year as there is no option for the military version but it works in the end for free. This has always worked well for me and I have never had any problems. I did read other reviews and people seem to expect too much or don't know how to use the system. One user said they couldn't review the return which is false. You can print out the return before filing. One user said that a professional found a huge deduction. Well a person is going to do better which is why you pay more. TurboTax is also not as good as a good professional. For the price - this works very well.

I am sorry but there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the online program. Why would it keep saying I owed the State taxes of $3800??? When I got a federal refund of $3500! It makes no sense. Right off the bat, TurboTax gave me a state refund, and I ended up with a hefty state refund there. I tried to tool around Taxslayer to correct this, but ended up going to overpriced TurboTax. I also tried to contact Taxslayer. I am questioning whether the Taxslayer program gave me correct refunds in the past four years now.

Compare Tax Software and Services