Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.41/5

Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Taxslayer.com Reviews

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

A W-2 that I entered into their system just disappeared from the return after I submitted it. I recommend using a different service, as you cannot trust them to properly populate the paperwork for you. Also, they have become really scammy in recent years concerning payment.

Original review: April 18, 2019

TAXSLAYER IS NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF CROOKS AND THEIR FILING QUESTIONS WILL NOT GET YOU THE BEST REFUND. BEWARE!!!! I only filed federal with TaxSlayer and submitted. I went to TurboTax to file my state for Free. As I was answering the same questions with TurboTax my federal refund increased by $500. Unbeknownst to me TurboTax filed both fed and state. Returned to Slayer and had to research where they didn't guide me correctly in answering their questions. So, I submitted again. Well, my return was rejected because Turbo filed both state and federal first. After sending an email with detailed explanation they will not refund $26.00 filing fee. And...my refund was rejected because of their questionnaire. Beware, you probably won't get your full refund with this company!!!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

It took forever to get passed the “calculating your return” section. It kept refreshing for minutes on end, and then timed out. Then I had to start from the beginning. Although my information was saved, it was just another unnecessary hurdle I had to go through. Horrible experience. I would not recommend.

Original review: April 16, 2019

We was with Taxslayer since 2009 and thank for their wrong input and unprofessional customer service. The IRS comes now for tax return 2015 and 2016 for over $5000 back pay. Thanks to Taxslayer. We recommend never go with this fake company. They don’t know tax returns.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Yesterday I started and finished the Simply Free Edition for both the federal and state tax return. At the very end, before e-filing, I get a message that they had to upgrade me to the Classic Edition, plus charge me for the state return, for a total of $53! Because "certain types of income, a credit, or deduction that you have claimed are not available in the Simply Free Edition" (I saved the screenshot). What was that "certain type" you ask? A Schedule D! I kid you not folks. I had used no other forms, just a 1040 and a Schedule D. Basically I had wasted 2 hours. I closed the tab and went to another well-known provider. Plenty of reliable free tax preparation providers out there. This is actually the second time Taxslayer has done this, The first time was in 2016 I remember. No more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taxslayer.com?

Original review: April 9, 2019

Until this year, I had been a satisfied user of TaxSlayer, for maybe 10 years. This year, however, that all changed. I found that I could not print or view my tax return, which is pretty basic. Every time I attempted to Print in TaxSlayer, I got an empty window titled "about:blank". They were prepared for this and gave instructions to use Adobe Reader. Adobe Reader was not my default PDF reader, so I downloaded it and installed it. I downloaded the latest version 2019.010.20098 off the Adobe web site. TaxSlayer said to use Adobe Reader 11 or later; version 11 is obsolete, and I tried but could not get that version for Windows 10 off Adobe and was reluctant to trust non-Adobe sites. The version I did download is the latest and is appropriate for Windows 10, but still gives the blank window.

I have another message in to the Help center, but here's something: when I pressed Reply in their Message Center to their message replying to my earlier message, I got the message "The specified URL cannot be found". So I had to resubmit a brand new request because Reply didn't work. The Message center software was faulty as well. All this has convinced me that I'm done with TaxSlayer. I can't print my own tax return!!

Original review: April 1, 2019

We have used Taxslayer for the last four years and have been satisfied, until now. When I do my taxes I do direct deposit. This time, the only option was to put it on a Green Dot card. WARNING. Green Dot is nothing but a scam. They charge you a monthly fee, plus various charges on certain transaction. I tried to transfer the money to my bank account, wouldn't let me. It is impossible when you try to close the account, they never answer the phone. TAXSLAYER YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FOR TRICKING CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS. Your company is going to lose a lot of customers.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I decided to try Taxslayer since the prices were getting high with the one I was using ($40 for state, $30 for a schedule C and $30 just because I have an HSA!?) Be VERY careful using them because they don't ask enough questions. Lucky enough I compared my return to one I started and found a few discrepancies. I know that in a schedule C you can deduct the registration of your car and the interest of car loans but only the % you use for the business. There was no place to put this in the vehicle section. I had to manually calculate it and put it in the expenses. While that was not a big problem but if I hadn't have known about it from the other software I would never have known how to handle it.

Also on my state section they didn't calculate my use tax (MICH) correctly. I just use the tax table and looked at the instructions for the state form and it said you multiply the AIG by .07% (which my original service did) and Taxslayer multiplied by .08%. I called them up and after doing some checking them told me their software was correct. UMMM...no it's not. The only reason I gave them 2 stars is because of their price.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have used other software than Taxslayer. It was easier to use, but my situation, a retired pastor, is unusual. Taxslayer "pros" kept insisting that I had not filed properly despite the IRS accepting my return. So, I consulted a real CPA familiar with retired clergy. She found NOTHING wrong with my return. Next year, I will be using her and not Taxslayer. Point - don't use Taxslayer if your return is unusual. It is unprepared to deal with unusual situations.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have been using Taxslayer for several years since I was on active duty with the military. It is simple to use, still cost effective, and customer response is quick. They also offer higher level services for those who might need added security for potential IRS audits.

Not sure about Taxslayer.com?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right tax relief company for you.

Taxslayer.com expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TaxSlayer started out in 1992 as a software package for tax professionals. In 1998, the company created a basic online version for individual taxpayer use. Today, the TaxSlayer program is a full-featured product that can compete with industry leaders.

• Military edition: Active duty military can prepare and file their federal and state returns for free using TaxSlayer.

• Economical: TaxSlayer is inexpensive; a comprehensive federal return can be prepared and filed for as little as $9.95, including live phone support.

• Prior year return: In 2013, TaxSlayer launched a new prior year return service, which allows taxpayers to prepare and file a return for the previous tax year.

• Mobile app: TaxSlayer does not currently have a mobile app.

• Refund options: Prepaid debit card option is not available for consumers expecting a tax refund.

• Best for: Individual and Basic Filers, Families and High Income Individuals, Sole Proprietors

by Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Taxslayer.com Company Information