3.9/5 (322 ratings)

About TaxSlayer

TaxSlayer is a tax preparation tool that helps you file state and federal taxes online. There are four tax prep options to choose from, ranging from a free version for those looking for a simple tax solution to a program for self-employed users that’s suitable for entrepreneurs and contractors.

Pros

• Active-duty military discounts
  • Convenient online services
  • Different options to fit your needs

Cons

• Limited free features

Bottom Line

TaxSlayer offers tax preparation software that works for users in a variety of tax situations. The company has a 100% accuracy guarantee, and you don’t have to pay upfront.

Top TaxSlayer Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been doing my taxes with them since 2006. No complaints whatsoever. Never been charged hidden fees… After I submit my returns, if there is a problem with the returns, it is...

Verified

Used the service for the first time and got a refund!... Best service I ever used… I feel the value I paid was well worth it. Can’t believe some of the reviews... anyone can do th...

What is TaxSlayer?

TaxSlayer equips customers with all the software, forms, regulations and resources they need to file state and federal taxes. TaxSlayer uses modern technology and a dependable and knowledgeable team of tax experts to ensure you file taxes accurately and on time. The company has four tiers of software.

Simply Free
Simply Free is the most basic tax preparation software option. This free option lets you prepare, print and e-file your tax returns. It includes W-2 income and tracks student loan interest and education expenses. This is ideal for someone who is doing taxes on their own for the first time and has straightforward tax needs.
Classic
The Classic option includes everything from the Simply Free tier but adds upgraded forms. This level lets you file with any income type — there are no form or schedule restrictions. It also covers all credits and makes it easy to fill out the W-2 and upload it as a PDF. Another popular feature is the ability to fast-fill your tax returns with last year's information to save time.
Premium
Customers who purchase the Premium tax preparation package get everything from the Classic package but are upgraded to priority support and get extra help from IRS-certified experts who can find all of the tax breaks you deserve.
Self-employed
Entrepreneurs, small business owners, 1099 workers, freelancers and independent contractors may need more personalized support when filing taxes, which is why TaxSlayer offers a Self-employed package. With this option, you get the deduction finder, 1099 and Schedule C support, tax tips, resources and tax payment reminders. This is the most customizable and personalized option since everyone who is self-employed has different tax requirements.

TaxSlayer also offers free federal tax return filing and all required forms for active military members.

How does TaxSlayer work?

TaxSlayer helps you file state and federal taxes in three steps.

1. Create a free account and input your financial data, including income, debt, expenses and other information that impacts your tax situation.
  2. TaxSlayer walks you through the tax return process to accurately determine your income, expenses, deductions and credits. The deduction and credit finder looks for possible write-offs to maximize your refund.
  3. Once you input all of the essential information and follow all the steps, you submit your tax return and wait. You receive a notification once the IRS has received and accepted your taxes.

TaxSlayer guarantees you’ll receive the maximum refund that you're entitled to, and there are zero out-of-pocket fees. It also offers a 100% accuracy guarantee and will reimburse you if you accrue any federal or state penalties and interest charges.

Along with unlimited tax help, downloadable forms and a step-by-step tax return process, TaxSlayer offers tax tools like a tax refund calculator, IRS resources, state-by-state tax information and the “Ask a Tax Pro” feature that lets you get answers from trained tax professionals. Customers can also browse resources about withholdings, tax laws, prior-year taxes and amended returns.

How much does TaxSlayer cost?

TaxSlayer offers a variety of different tax prep options for different budgets.

• The Simply Free option is the most basic and lets you file federal taxes and one state tax return for free.
  • The Classic option is $17 for federal tax returns and $29 for state tax returns
  • The Premium option is $37 for federal tax returns and $29 for state tax returns
  • The Self-employed option is $47 for federal tax returns and $29 for state tax returns

There aren't any additional fees for specialty forms, credits or deductions. Its prices are based on the type of support that you want and need. When you file taxes with TaxSlayer, you get unlimited phone and email help every step of the way. Some of the forms you have access to when you purchase a TaxSlayer product include:

• Schedule B Interest and Dividend Income
  • Schedule A Itemized Deductions
  • W-2 forms
  • Schedule D Capital Gains And Losses
  • 1040 Forms
  • Schedule E Rental and Royalty Income

TaxSlayer FAQ

Can TaxSlayer import my W-2?
Yes. The TaxSlayer Classic option can import W-2s and includes other features like easy preparing, e-filing and printing.
Does TaxSlayer offer refund anticipation loans?
Not anymore. TaxSlayer removed its refund anticipation loan option in 2020.
How long do TaxSlayer direct deposits take?
Direct deposits for tax refunds typically take 10 to 18 days.
Is TaxSlayer free for military members?
Yes. Active-duty military personnel can file a federal tax return for free.

Is TaxSlayer legit?

Yes, TaxSlayer is a legitimate company. It has helped millions of people accurately file their state and federal tax returns. TaxSlayer guarantees 100% accuracy, no out-of-pocket expenses and different payment options for different tax needs. While it does not offer all of the same features as other tax prep services, it is a cost-effective option for filing your tax return.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxSlayer?

Original review: May 17, 2022

I’ve used TaxSlayer for my past two years' tax returns. My returns are very simple, no additional forms, just 1040. Both of my returns had errors that resulted in me owing money (plus interest) to the IRS. The first time, I was able to see what the error was, I made a mistake that could have easily been avoided with more detailed info about the entry. This year's error, I cannot explain at all! I have no idea how the amount entered on my return was calculated. I will not use it again.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I filed my taxes and agreed to pay a fee of $40. It took months to get my refund, the program never calculated it correctly, and there were constant errors and delays when trying to do my taxes. By the time I got my return, they had already been hounding me for the money they said I owed which was supposed to be taken from my tax return. What they don't tell you is that they are charging you $40 extra dollars to have a third-party bank deposit the money into your account as well as another $40 for whatever state taxes I had to do and other fees.

This company is a scam and a fraud, it is not worth the money. They claim you can file your taxes for free but once you get started and you have more than one W2 or any other tax document needed to file they charge you excessive amounts of money. I had negative income this year and still had to pay $125 just to get my money deposited into my bank account. I will never use this company again and they will be reported to any federal agencies as well as the Better Business Bureau due to their horrible customer service and hidden fees. I hope what happened to into it happens to them and they have to return all the money they have stolen from people. Do not use this company ever.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I had no issues last year with Taxslayer, even though it was harder to use than TaxAct, (which cost more). This year Taxslayer was a nightmare. The site kept crashing around 4:30 pm, on 4/18, after I had spent an hour inputting my information. Finally gave up and tried the next day. I was able to finish filing, paid, and efiled. It keeps getting rejected, because of a PIN number, which I had written down in 3 places. I've tried everything, but no luck. They tell you not to worry, that you can print and send your return, but even that's not clear on how to do that and my refund will most likely be held up for months.

Original review: April 19, 2022

Seems like a well laid out site, but it is slow and cumbersome. What’s worse is that it constantly encountered unexpected errors or various sorts. It recommended closing all browser tabs/windows to fix the issue which is ridiculous. I finally tried this and it kept happening. It forced me to login each time an error happened and kept having me verify my identity, but 80% of the time I did not receive the verification code. The whole process was incredibly frustrating, I kept trying because I had time invested in setting up my account and tax returns, but eventually gave up and went with a site that turned out to be an A+++ site experience, FreeTaxUSA.

Original review: April 19, 2022

Four stars on your preparation for the busiest day in your business. I thoroughly enjoyed the three and a half hours of trying to file an extension while gently being “timed out” and having to log back in. Great fun Tax Slayer! Unfortunately I had to take my fun to another company - who by the way had me on my way within 10 minutes.

Original review: April 16, 2022

I'm trying to file a federal tax return using the simply free version of TaxSlayer, and every way you turn, they attempt to trick or force you into upgrading to a paid version. I have a very simple W-2 and that's all. I first tried to file free, but somehow ended up with the premium version. In order to switch to the free version, I had to delete everything I had entered and start over.

Then, once I had the free version, I wanted to claim the standard deduction, but the only way it would let me claim the standard deduction is by going through and entering an itemized deduction, which it then compares to the standard deduction, determines the standard will get me a larger refund, and goes with that. But by entering in the information for an itemized deduction, it automatically "upgrades" me to a paid edition, and once again, the only way to get back to the free edition is to delete everything and start over. If I don't enter anything into the itemized section, it doesn't apply a deduction at all and the refund I would get is only half of what it should be with the standardized deduction. I am more than fed up with their ridiculous and predatory tactics.

Original review: April 15, 2022

Due to faults in their programming, I had to file an amended return. Their own representative said it was odd that the program did what it did. They offered to escalate my problem to management. However, I was told the whole process would take several weeks and then they would make a decision if I had to pay for the amendment. Fine. I just wanted it over so I paid.

Everything went fine. A screen popped up and told me my amended return was successful. I paid $500 through them to go to the IRS and moved on. Logged in today to make sure everything was fine. It wasn't. I learned after calling Tax Slayer that there is a very confusing thing with banking that is not explained clearly on their website. The customer service representative knew exactly what the problem was. Great! Except when I asked her to stay on with me for less than one minute I needed to make sure it worked she said she couldn't and hung up. I sat on hold for 34 minutes. She literally could not wait for less than one minute to make sure it was okay. NEVER AGAIN! The whole experience has been a nightmare!

Original review: March 25, 2022

I tried to file with them this year. Don't expect to be guided through your issues. If you don't know it try another company. I went through the my whole tax return, filled it out correctly and was ready to file. I was told that it was correct and to e file only to have it rejected. So I went back to my return to fix the problem and there was no help to tell me what was wrong, after 3 weeks of phone calls and emails and chats with them they could not tell me how to fix it.

They had a glitch in their software and refused to admit it. So I went to another website, filled out a new return with their software and filed. It worked fine and that was that. After all of that I contacted them to get a refund and was told in no uncertain terms that they would not refund me because I had looked at the pdf file. I asked how I was supposed to file without paying and that they had assured me that it was all correct. So long story short I had to pay them for something I couldn't use and I was told that my issue was fixed. They basically called me a liar. Please do yourself a favor and don't use them. They can not help you or they will not help you. I paid for using something that didn't work. Nowhere else would this work. Bad company!

Original review: March 8, 2022

I have used TurboTax for 7 years. I am a CPA with extensive tax experience but I really like the way TTax helps you along. I tried TaxSlayer for the first (and last) time yesterday. They DO NOT HELP YOU. In fact, they expect you to know what you are doing and what you want before you can complete your own return! Who knows all that stuff? Not even me and I am brilliant...sort of. OK maybe not brilliant but I do know how to do things like taxes. BTY - They ended up charging as much as Turbotax! So. I am going back to TT. To be clear I am self-employed, retired, over 70, not blind, and have a very simple return.

Original review: March 2, 2022

By far worst experience with Taxslayer this year. DO NOT file as Married filing separately with taxslayer. They say it is free for federal and state all the way up until you are ready to hit "file", then blam a $95 charge?! Seriously $95 for a simple married filing jointly with no deductions, no dependents, no unemployment, on schedules nothing. Nowhere does it say on their website that married filing separately denotes charges (at least not easily findable). When I asked for a refund as I never intended to have my credit card info used for a fee, the answer was "nope, so sorry, your taxes are filed, no refunds". I will be disputing this with my credit card company, and will definitely be taking my business elsewhere! Such a shame after using taxslayer for the past few years, they seemed legit but obviously something has changed in the culture there. Buyer beware.

TaxSlayer Company Information