3.7/5 (211 ratings)

About TaxSlayer

TaxSlayer is an online tax preparation tool that helps customers file state and federal taxes online. There are four tax prep options to choose from, ranging from the free version for those looking for a simple tax solution to a program for self-employed customers that’s suitable for entrepreneurs and contractors.

Pros

• Active military discounts
  • Different tiers to fit your needs
  • Easy access to online services

Cons

• Not many features
  • Not especially mobile-friendly

Bottom Line

TaxSlayer is a reliable and trusted tax preparation service that offers maximum returns and expert tax advice. The company charges no out-of-pocket fees and has a 100% accuracy guarantee.

Top TaxSlayer Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been doing my taxes with them since 2006. No complaints whatsoever. Never been charged hidden fees… After I submit my returns, if there is a problem with the returns, it is...

Verified

Used the service for the first time and got a refund!... Best service I ever used… I feel the value I paid was well worth it. Can’t believe some of the reviews... anyone can do th...

What is TaxSlayer?

TaxSlayer equips customers with all the software, forms, regulations and resources they need to file state and federal taxes. TaxSlayer uses modern technology and a dependable and knowledgeable team of tax experts to ensure you file taxes accurately and on time. The company has four tiers of software.

Simply Free
Simply Free is the most basic tax preparation software option. This free option lets you prepare, print and e-file your tax returns. It includes W-2 income and tracks student loan interest and education expenses. This is ideal for someone who is doing taxes on their own for the first time and has straightforward tax needs.
Classic
The Classic option includes everything from the Simply Free tier but adds upgraded forms. This level lets you file with any income type — there are no form or schedule restrictions. It also covers all credits and makes it easy to fill out the W-2 and upload it as a PDF. Another popular feature is the ability to fast-fill your tax returns with last year's information to save time.
Premium
Customers who purchase the Premium tax preparation package get everything from the Classic package but are upgraded to priority support and get extra help from IRS-certified experts who can find all of the tax breaks you deserve.
Self-employed
Entrepreneurs, small business owners, 1099 workers, freelancers and independent contractors may need more personalized support when filing taxes, which is why TaxSlayer offers a Self-employed package. With this option, you get the deduction finder, 1099 and Schedule C support, tax tips, resources and tax payment reminders. This is the most customizable and personalized option since everyone who is self-employed has different tax requirements.

TaxSlayer also offers free federal tax return filing and all required forms for active military members.

How does TaxSlayer work?

TaxSlayer helps you file state and federal taxes in three steps.

1. Create a free account and input your financial data, including income, debt, expenses and other information that impacts your tax situation.
  2. TaxSlayer walks you through the tax return process to accurately determine your income, expenses, deductions and credits. The deduction and credit finder looks for possible write-offs to maximize your refund.
  3. Once you input all of the essential information and follow all the steps, you submit your tax return and wait. You receive a notification once the IRS has received and accepted your taxes.

TaxSlayer guarantees you’ll receive the maximum refund that you're entitled to, and there are zero out-of-pocket fees. It also offers a 100% accuracy guarantee and will reimburse you if you accrue any federal or state penalties and interest charges.

Along with unlimited tax help, downloadable forms and a step-by-step tax return process, TaxSlayer offers tax tools like a tax refund calculator, IRS resources, state-by-state tax information and the “Ask a Tax Pro” feature that lets you get answers from trained tax professionals. Customers can also browse resources about withholdings, tax laws, prior-year taxes and amended returns.

How much does TaxSlayer cost?

TaxSlayer offers a variety of different tax prep options for different budgets.

• The Simply Free option is the most basic and lets you file federal taxes and one state tax return for free.
  • The Classic option is $17 for federal tax returns and $29 for state tax returns
  • The Premium option is $37 for federal tax returns and $29 for state tax returns
  • The Self-employed option is $47 for federal tax returns and $29 for state tax returns

There aren't any additional fees for specialty forms, credits or deductions. Its prices are based on the type of support that you want and need. When you file taxes with TaxSlayer, you get unlimited phone and email help every step of the way. Some of the forms you have access to when you purchase a TaxSlayer product include:

• Schedule B Interest and Dividend Income
  • Schedule A Itemized Deductions
  • W-2 forms
  • Schedule D Capital Gains And Losses
  • 1040 Forms
  • Schedule E Rental and Royalty Income

TaxSlayer FAQ

Can TaxSlayer import my W-2?
Yes. The TaxSlayer Classic option can import W-2s and includes other features like easy preparing, e-filing and printing.
Does TaxSlayer offer refund anticipation loans?
Not anymore. TaxSlayer removed its refund anticipation loan option in 2020.
How long do TaxSlayer direct deposits take?
Direct deposits for tax refunds typically take 10 to 18 days.
Is TaxSlayer free for military members?
Yes. Active-duty military personnel can file a federal tax return for free.

Is TaxSlayer legit?

Yes, TaxSlayer is a legitimate company. It has helped millions of people accurately file their state and federal tax returns. TaxSlayer guarantees 100% accuracy, no out-of-pocket expenses and different payment options for different tax needs. While it does not offer all of the same features as other tax prep services, it is a cost-effective option for filing your tax return.

TaxSlayer Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxSlayer?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

In the past, we used a CPA to do our taxes. Now that our taxes are more simple, I shopped for a high-quality and affordable tax software company. We found Taxslayer! Taxslayer was simple to use and worked exactly as advertised.

Original review: May 17, 2021

After years of paying TurboTax disingenuous fees, I was wary of using any tax software. Last year I prepared my own taxes, but I wanted to save some time and take advantage of deductions I didn't know about when I filed solo. TaxSlayer delivered. Their design is a little kludgey but basically intuitive. I checked all the calculations in Excel, and ran into some math that didn't check out, so I called them. In the heart of tax season, I was able to speak with a rep in under and hour. They pointed me to a worksheet I didn't know about. Including it allowed me to increase my refund slightly. In sum, TaxSlayer is not fancy, but it is straightforward, has good customer support, is truly free, and may save you a bit of time and money, and will certainly save you frustration compared to TurboTax. Thank you!

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I was guided by an experienced tax person, so that made it easier to use. I like how easy it is to go back and look at what was done & the previous year. It met my tax needs. I have not used any others so I cannot compare it to another tax product.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I've used TaxSlayer's tax services for two years in a row. My wife and I have a very simple tax situation: almost no investments and we took a standard deduction for both years (just like we do every year). Both years we expected a $600-$700 return. Instead we got a letter from the IRS a few months after we filed saying we owe $1100-$1400. Tax Slayer took our fee but never took responsibility for any of the mistakes we made in filing. Our tax situation is a simple one. Any mistakes that we made should have been picked up on by Tax Slayer before we filed. I now am convinced that Tax Slayer only wanted our money and couldn't have cared less if our paperwork was correct or incorrect. All they wanted was their fee. I will never use this company again.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Was referred to them by Mypoints.com ..Their promo code didn't work . ** Nor their offer of points per dollar. I paid 70 bucks when it should've been around 45.00. plus my incentive. After calling and spending 10 minutes on the phone they tried to tell me they weren't an affiliate..It is their paid advertising.. Will be challenging it on my credit card..and filing a complaint with the IRS...Scam artists.

Original review: July 5, 2021

Taxslayer incorrectly calculated my return. They included EIC which I was not eligible for. Besides getting $300 dollars less, it delayed my refund while the IRS corrected it. Very poor service and they won't give me a refund of their service.

Original review: June 23, 2021

It's been 2 1/2 months since I filed with TaxSlayer for my 2020 returns with the IRS. Using my refund to pay for TS services, due to IRS delays TS will now forcibly take money out of my personal account to recoup costs. Bad business!

Original review: May 17, 2021

I was lured into using Taxslayer by its "FREE" services, which proved to be untrue at the e-file stage. When I sought tech support, I was given a royal run-around and then ignored. Having given sensitive detailed personal and financial info, I realized I had better bail out. Surprise! There is no option to delete your account… not even by phone.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I have used this company for several years with no trouble.. Today I received an invoice from them requesting payment for their service because the irs hadn't sent our refund after two months even though the fee was to be deducted from refund..I also received a letter from the irs today stating that the Tax Slayer debit card account had rejected the refund because only my spouse's name appeared on the account..We have always filed married joint return..After waiting over two months for our refund the irs says it will be another 8-10weeks due to the SNAFU created by tax slayer who is now demanding direct payment instead of waiting like I now have to..Probably won't use them again. Not to mention the missing $2100 of $4200 in stimulus money the irs says they sent for deposit on March 17.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

The software was very easy to use. But hands on assistance is Hard to get. Also I was charged 100 dollars in all for a software that was advised as 39 dollars. And also I normally use Turbo tax and I receive my taxes in no more than 2 weeks ddd.. but it’s has been 22 days since my taxes was received and I still don’t have anything. So overall it’s a no for me..

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

When I went to the TaxSlayer website to begin my 2020 filing, I was not offered any choice of plans. Upon completing my return, I was automatically charged for the premium plan — again, no choice was offered. Later, in going back to the site, a page opened showing a variety of plans, including a basic plan for $17 that would have served my simple needs just fine. This is the plan I would have chosen had I been given the option earlier. I contacted support (2 days after payment) but was refused a refund for the difference between the plans. This was a total lack of transparency and choice, resulting in overcharges on this website!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I am not self-employed, did not claim any self-employed income, 1099 income, or schedule C income, and they keep charging me for the self-employed product. I started over the filing and it did it again! Fraud!

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have used Taxslayer.com to file in previous years. I was rejected by the IRS for a reason that I can't explain here. Either way, since I paid for their service and was rejected, I will not receive a refund. When I called them I asked where the refund policy was, they told me it was at the bottom of their home screen. So in other words, you had better be sure you won't get rejected because you aren't getting your money back. So, read the refund policy BEFORE you file. FREE is not FREE and this one's on me for choosing this service.

TaxSlayer Company Information