Find the Best Tax Relief in Chicago, IL
Top 10 Chicago Tax Relief Companies
|Community Tax||Read 629 Reviews|
Requires a minimum $10,000 tax debt. Initial fees range from $500 to $750. Gives full or partial refunds for services not rendered. Accredited by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Offers free consultations.
|Larson Tax Relief||Read 386 Reviews|
Works with clients who have more than $20,000 in tax debt. Provides a 15-day money-back guarantee. Offers free consultations with a licensed tax pro. Member of NAEA and NATP. Family-owned and operated.
|Anthem Tax Services||Read 140 Reviews|
Requires a minimum $10,000 tax debt. Tax attorneys on staff. Member of the National Association of Enrolled Agents and National Association of Tax Professionals. Provides free initial consultation and a 100% money-back guarantee.
|Fortress Tax Relief||Read 124 Reviews|
Works with individuals and businesses who have a tax debt of $15,000 or more. Each case is handled by a licensed attorney. Offers free initial consultations. Provides a full money-back guarantee if requested within 24 hours.
|Learn More Call Now Toll Free (844) 292-0073|
|Victory Tax Lawyers, LLP||Read 78 Reviews|
Requires $25,000 tax debt for relief services. Employs tax attorneys on staff. Member of the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers. Attorney consultation.
|J. David Tax Law LLC||Read 31 Reviews|
Works with clients who owe the IRS $20,000 or more. Provides free initial tax consultations. Employs tax attorneys on staff. Flexible payment plans available.
|Attorneys Tax Relief LLC||Read Expert Review|
Offers IRS audit defense, installment agreements, criminal tax defense and tax return preparation. Claims to have the highest offer in compromise acceptance rate in the country. Offers free consultations.
|Chicago Tax Lawyer Firm||Read Expert Review|
Employs tax attorneys and a CPA. Has locations in downtown Chicago and suburban Northfield where you can meet with tax relief specialists in person. Offers free initial consultations.
|Oxford Tax Partners||Read Expert Review|
Offers tax planning, audit services and 24/7 tax account monitoring. Prioritizes frequent communication with customers. Helps each client understand the programs and policies they qualify for.
|The Tax Defenders||Read Expert Review|
Offers guaranteed services and free initial consultations. Veteran-owned and -operated. Services available in English and Spanish. Has saved customers more than $19 million.
By some measures, Chicago residents are the most overburdened taxpayers in the country. A household earning the Illinois median income pays $8,330 in state taxes each year in addition to federal taxes. As a result, many Chicago residents struggle to keep up with tax payments. Tax relief companies can help if you’re having trouble with IRS or state tax debt.
Common tax relief options in Chicago
Tax relief is a complex issue that requires careful planning — depending on your circumstances, some forms of tax relief are more suited for you than others. Here are five of the most common tax relief options for Chicago residents:
Offer in compromise
An offer in compromise is when the IRS agrees to settle your debt for less than the full amount owed, usually resulting in substantial savings. The downsides to an offer in compromise are:
- Qualifying for a settlement is difficult. Usually, the IRS or Illinois Department of Revenue only approve an offer in compromise if they feel you will never be able to pay the full amount.
- If you qualify, the IRS puts you on a probation period where you have very little room for error when filing and paying your taxes.
Collections appeals are an informal way to settle tax issues with the IRS. The Collection Appeals Program is a procedure put in place by the agency that allows taxpayers to appeal specific collection actions. This is a popular option for people having issues with installment agreements.
Wage garnishment release
If you owe money to the IRS or the Illinois Department of Revenue, the agencies may place a wage levy on you. This allows them to take part of your paycheck to apply to your tax debt. The best tax relief companies in Chicago can remove these garnishments and put you back in control of your finances.
When you are past due on federal tax payments, the IRS adds financial penalties until you pay your debt completely. If this is the first time you've fallen behind on your taxes, the agency has procedures in place that help you get back on track. You may qualify for penalty abatement if you:
- Have not been penalized in the last three tax years
- Filed all relevant tax returns or extensions
- Have paid or arranged to pay any taxes due
Tax lien withdrawal
A tax lien allows the government to claim some or all of your assets based on your failure as a form of payment for tax debt. Tax liens have a negative impact on your credit score and stay on your financial record for years. Tax relief professionals in Chicago look for ways to have liens removed. Typically, they can restore your credit to pre-lien status and have the lien expunged from your record.
Chicago tax relief FAQ
- What happens if I don’t pay Illinois taxes?
- If you don't pay your taxes, the Illinois government can take money from your paycheck, place a lien against your property and send collection notices. It’s best to get immediate help from a tax relief professional so you can move on with your life.
- Can you get tax relief for both Illinois and federal taxes?
- Yes, tax relief companies in Chicago help you get back on track with your taxes whether you owe money to the Illinois Department of Revenue or the IRS.
- I am way behind on my taxes. How much will I have to pay for tax relief?
- Expect to spend $2,000 to $5,000 for professional tax relief, with complicated cases costing up to $10,000. Some tax relief companies in Chicago charge between $200 and $550 an hour. Other companies use a flat fee structure or set the cost based on the amount of tax debt you owe.
- Can the IRS help me with tax debt?
- Most tax relief services are programs offered by the IRS, including deadline extensions, penalty abatement, offers in compromise and installment plans. Tax attorneys, enrolled agents and CPAs in Chicago simplify the process and improve your chances of success when applying for these programs.
- How should I pay my taxes in the future?
- The IRS has many options to make paying your taxes convenient. You can send in a check or money order, use IRS direct pay, pay with a credit or debit card, do a same-day wire transfer or schedule an electronic withdrawal from your bank account. Consider hiring an accountant in Chicago to make sure you’re paying all necessary taxes and avoid future tax problems.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Chicago tax relief company information
Attorneys Tax Relief LLC offers free, confidential phone consultations for people facing IRS collections. The company specializes in tax fraud, IRS defense and criminal tax defense. It advertises a 64% acceptance rate on offers in compromise. Attorneys Tax Relief uses its extensive knowledge of both IRS and Illinois tax codes to get efficient results.
- Address: 1 N. LaSalle St., Ste. 2015, Chicago, IL 60602
- Phone: (312) 782-4490
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 6pm
- Website: attorneystaxrelief.com
The Tax Defenders directs you to a licensed tax expert on your first phone call. Your tax professional then contacts the IRS to get a full view of your tax history before charging you a fee. The Tax Defenders has experience with the four common types of IRS payment plans and can help choose the right one for your specific tax situation.
- Address: 125 S. Wacker Drive, Ste. 1110, Chicago, IL 60606
- Phone: (312) 345-5440
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 6pm
- Website: thetaxdefenders.com
Andrew Gordon, a Chicago tax attorney, founded Chicago Tax Lawyer Firm to represent individuals and businesses dealing with tax audits, tax collections, sales tax problems and IRS litigation. Gordon and his team handle every aspect of clients’ cases to ensure optimal results. This firm specializes in working with clients who have severe tax problems, including criminal tax issues, tax evasion and bankruptcy.
- Address: 180 N. LaSalle Blvd., Ste. 3700, Chicago, IL 60601
- Phone: (847) 787-9346
- Hours: M - F: 8:30am - 5:30pm
- Website: chicagotaxlawyerfirm.com
Oxford Tax Partners assigns every client a licensed tax attorney to represent their case to the IRS. Oxford’s team of accountants, CPAs and tax attorneys strive to create manageable payment plans for every client. Its process starts with a free consultation, followed by phases for investigation, protection, negotiation and resolution.
- Address: 215 W. Ohio St., Ste. 6, Chicago, IL 60654
- Phone: (866) 532-5000
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 6pm
- Website: oxfordtaxpartners.com