2. Tax Relief
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.50/5
Visit Website

At Community Tax, we strive to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years we have assisted tens of thousands of taxpayers in dealing with the IRS and/or State Taxing Authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns, to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Our office is staffed with dedicated licensed tax professionals that will work with you to customize a tax strategy for both the present and the future. We look forward to working with you for all your tax needs.

Illinois CPA Society
Non-CPA Asosciate Member of AICPA
Illinois Chamber of Commerce
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Community tax is a full-service tax company providing a wide spectrum of services, from tax prep to tax relief for individuals with $10,000 or more in tax debt. They staff enrolled agents licensed by the U.S. Department of Treasury.

PROS

• Available in all 50 states
  • Impressive staff credentials
  • Free consultation

CONS

• Pricing not available online

About Community Tax

Community Tax, LLC (CTAX) is a full-service tax company that provides affordable tax services to individuals and businesses nationwide. Founded in 2010 and serving all 50 states, it is one of the leading providers of tax preparation, tax resolution, bookkeeping and accounting services.

Filing taxes and resolving tax issues can be complicated for most of us. CTAX takes pride in its staff of knowledgeable and licensed tax attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents. Enrolled agents are tax advisors licensed by the Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax issues.

Community Tax services

The IRS is bent on collecting all taxes due to the government. Non-payment of taxes, underpayment of taxes, late payment, misrepresentation and other violations of tax laws are reasons the IRS can come after you. Fortunately, CTAX provides a broad spectrum of tax services to protect yourself from the IRS' wrath. The services include the following:

Tax Preparation

All the tax preparers at CTAX are licensed with a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). If you use CTAX's services, you will be assigned a dedicated tax preparer. You will then submit a limited power of attorney to authorize the tax preparer to access your tax records at the IRS. After completing your return, the tax preparer sends it to a group of reviewers composed of seasoned CPAs. The return will be sent to you for your review and signature. Upon receipt of your signed return, CTAX will immediately file your return at the IRS.

CTAX tax preparers are diligent and accurate in identifying regular and special sources of income. They continue to educate themselves with new IRS policies and laws to determine which expenses are eligible for deductions such as:

• Higher education expenses
  • Student loan interest
  • Medical expenses
  • Mortgage interest
  • Real estate taxes
  • Charitable contributions
  • Gambling losses
Tax Resolution

The resolution process starts with an investigation and may last from one week to one year. The CTAX investigative team analyzes your financials and IRS records. The team sends you its findings and offers the following potential solutions:

• Offers in Compromise (OIC): Taxpayers who are at the verge of financial hardship can qualify. Financial hardship means having more expenses than income. The IRS determines the maximum amount taxpayers are financially capable of paying without causing hardship. The remainder of the tax debt is forgiven.
  • Installment Agreement (IA): This method allows taxpayers to pay their tax debt balance over a period ranging from six months to 10 years.
  • Stair Step Agreement: This solution grants taxpayers the option to pay off a large expense, such as a car, with larger installments while paying smaller installments on the tax debt. After full payment of the large expense, they can then switch the entire payment to the tax balance within the next 48-60 months.
  • Streamline Installment Agreement:This tax relief is eligible for taxpayers with substantial income or assets. The actual balance must not be more than $50,000 and be payable within 60-72 months.
  • Partial Pay Installment Agreement (PPIA): Taxpayers under financial hardship are eligible for PPIA. Based on a taxpayer’s financial information, CTAX can negotiate for a hardship payment, which is less than the required monthly payment, for 10 years. The IRS has a 10-Year Statute of Limitations for the collection of past due tax debt. After 10 years, even if the taxpayer will not be able to pay the debt in full, the IRS will no longer be able to collect.
  • Conditional Expense Installment Agreement: The IRS may grant installment payments to a tax liability to allow a taxpayer to continue paying a long-term expense, such as a 401k program.
  • Traditional Installment Agreement: This arrangement allows a taxpayer to make monthly installment payments over a 10-year period based on the taxpayer’s current financial situation.
  • Currently Not Collectible Status: Taxpayers struggling with financial hardship may be completely relieved of their tax debt until such time that they are able to recover.
  • Penalty Abatement: Under this agreement, taxpayers may request for a decrease in penalties on back taxes, but they must show proof that they missed payments or made late payments for uncontrollable reasons
Accounting

CTAX offers accounting, personalized bookkeeping and payroll services for affordable flat-rate monthly fees. The services come in these three plans:

• Bronze: The services include monthly bookkeeping, 24/7 IRS correspondence monitoring, financial reporting and bank reconciliation for one bank account and one credit card account and analysis of estimated tax payment. The package costs $99/month.
  • Silver: The package includes all the services provided by the Bronze plan, plus financial reporting and bank reconciliation for two bank accounts and two credit card accounts. This package also includes unlimited tax planning by a CPA. The plan costs $199/month.
  • Gold: The plan provides all the services included in the Silver plan, plus payroll processing and a dedicated IRS tax attorney for a fixed monthly fee to be agreed upon by CTAX and the taxpayer.
Bookkeeping

Bookkeeping services include overseeing bank and credit card transactions, recording and adjusting journal entries, as well as preparing payroll returns, W-2’s and 1099 MISC forms. Clients are allowed to choose and seasonally adjust the services they use and only pay for the services they use.

Community Tax Assurance Program

The Community Tax Assurance Program (TAP) is designed as a prevention program to ensure that clients remain compliant and updated with tax policies to eliminate future tax problems. TAP offers the following programs:

• Access Assurance: Services include tax account monitoring, IRS alerts, helpful tax information and updates and exclusive access to TaxPal, a mobile app with 24-hour tax monitoring and alerts. The program is free.
  • Executive Assurance: The program includes all Access Assurance services plus priority servicing, direct access to tax practitioners and a dedicated case advocate. It also includes a free annual personal income tax return, free garnishment investigation, free tax-related ID theft repair and a 20 percent discount on future resolution services. The program costs $34.99/month.
  • Enterprise Access: The program includes all Executive Access services plus customized services, a designated accounting team, a free business income tax return and individualized tax planning by a highly skilled CPA. The program costs $99.99/month.

How does Community Tax work?

Community Tax services clients who need help with tax preparation or seek tax debt relief. Being a trusted tax company, CTAX strives to give the best service to clients who have back taxes, liens on their bank accounts, garnished wages or are being audited. The CTAX process consists of three main steps.

1. Information Gathering
    Experienced tax professionals will gather your financial information from you to make a tax analysis of your case, which, in turn, will help them work out the best solution to your problem. The information may include past tax returns, bank and credit card accounts, and other financial records, depending on the complexity of your tax issue.
  2. Investigation
    The investigation process involves getting access to your IRS records. You will need to provide authorization to your assigned CTAX investigator to file IRS Form 8821 or the appropriate form for the state taxing authority on your behalf to obtain a complete record of your account.
  3. Resolution
    Once the investigator completes their work, you will be presented with resolution options to consider. They have been discussed above.

Community Tax FAQ

How much does Community Tax cost?
Pricing varies and depends on the complexity of the case. Consultation is free, but the company website does not provide direct pricing information on tax debt relief. However, according to some review sites, Community Tax charges clients the following fees:
  • Initial fee of $500 to $750
  • Flat fee of $2,500 and $4,500
  • $275 for W-2 returns
  • $525 for Forms 1099 and 1040
  • $1,000 for business tax returns
Does Community Tax offer any type of guarantee?
Community Tax allows a full or partial refund for services not rendered; however, you need to discuss this with a customer satisfaction representative, as reimbursements are on a case-by-case basis.

Do we recommend Community Tax?

Community Tax is a trusted tax company employing experienced tax professionals specializing in tax issues and serving clients all over the United States. Numbers don’t lie, and with more than $600 million tax debts resolved, we recommend CTAX for taxpayers with complicated tax returns, back taxes or potential issues that may invite an audit.

Community Tax Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Community Tax did a great job for me. I had a problem with back taxes and the IRS was saying that I owed $10,000. I knew that something was wrong. Community Tax had to reach out to the IRS several times and they worked with me and made sure that they have to do whatever they could to make it so I didn’t have to be worried about the IRS putting a lien on my house. I was financially in hardship and the IRS pretty much agreed to a way lower amount than the $10,000. They definitely got me out of a lot tax debt.

I paid Community Tax $500 at the beginning for them to represent me, and then they told me how much my payment was gonna be and divided it by so many months. I wound up paying $125 a month and once that’s paid, I'm all done. My last payment is in May. I paid close to $4,000 for all the services from Community Tax. Over the past year and a half, I feel that the cost was a little high but it's not too bad. I don’t really know what it’s like to have to deal with the IRS all the time like they did for me and what extent they have to go through to get the offer in compromise. And the Community Tax agents are awesome. I set up automatic payments where they just take the payment out of my checking account but there were a few months when I couldn’t afford the minimum $125, and they gave me an extra week or two if I needed it. They worked with me a lot and I really appreciated it.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Eric! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution. We will pass your kind words along to the team on your case. Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2019

We got to a point where we cannot afford the taxes because my husband lost a lot of his client. He was self-employed and I’m working. Community Tax has been very helpful to us. After seeing Community Tax, I contacted them. They called me back. So, I asked what they do, how they're gonna help us, and their guy explained to me. But then my husband researched them and he said, “Oh, okay. This is like a good company because they’re on that BBB."

Community Tax is a good company. They’re very nice people. Until now, they handle our taxes. They prepare our taxes and tax relief, they offer their service, and they monitor. They did everything, and they’re really good. I already recommended them to people that needed help with their taxes. At first, when I looked at it, it was a big cash-in. And I thought we couldn’t afford it. They then run through us on what we do and then their fee was reasonable, so we make payment to them to pay the things. It was really helpful. It was not like some company that ask for their price right up in the front. Community Tax said, “Okay. Just tell us how much you can afford every month to pay their prices.” So, that’s what I did. They take out 600 every time, at a time on my check, and then I get to pocket a little.

The Community Tax reps are all nice. The first guy I dealt with was the one that helped us the most to get the thing done with one of the lawyers and he helped out set up our account. And when they told us about their price, and we told them we don’t have the money, he said, “Don’t worry. We can make payment.” So, every month they tell us how much it’s gonna cost, we can make payment, and they’re even preparing our tax. The quality of their service is very nice. They call us every month and if we have any questions, they explain to us. So, they always check up on us every month. The money that we pay is worth it because we don’t have to worry with the IRS.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Faye! We're glad to help. We'll hope you'll give us a call again come Tax time!

Original review: April 11, 2019

I received a letter from the IRS stating that I owe them a couple of thousands of dollars. I started looking for help. Every year I was filing my taxes, they were taking my taxes, so I needed to get a hold of the situation. I did some research on Community Tax and made a phone call. I ended up enrolling in the program that day. They were able to settle my tax debt.

Danielle of Community Tax was very helpful to me. I came up with a set amount that I would be able to pay them monthly, and I set it up where they automatically just pull the money out of my account monthly, so I didn’t have to deal with it. They kept me informed of everything that was going on. Every two months or every 60 days, I would get a phone call from Danielle basically giving me update as well. The last phone call that I received from her, she stated that my case was closed. I was like, “Closed?” She was like, “Yeah, we did it. It’s closed.” She asked, “How much you think we were able to settle for?” And I’m thinking it was gonna be a couple of thousands of dollars. When she said $100, I said, “You need to say that number again.” I was very pleased and happy with the service.

I was worried about certain things I wanted to purchase and if the IRS was gonna come in and just take everything. So after I started reading and getting familiar with some of the legal terminology everything was in a holding pattern. I wanted to buy a truck, and I said, “I’m not gonna buy a truck until after everything is settled.” So I’m going this weekend to purchase myself a truck. Community Tax relieved a lot of stress off of me.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Gregory! We are so glad we could help get you a great resolution. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything in the future!

Original review: April 2, 2019

When I was in San Diego an old man told me that I didn't have to pay the taxes until every three years. I listened to him and by the time I reached the fourth year, the IRS said that that was only if they owed me, but if I owed them, I gotta pay. By the time I was able to negotiate with them, the debt kept quickly piling up and I couldn’t stop it. Then I heard the commercial of Community Tax. They told me that I'd be okay and to just pay 4,000. I paid 400 a month to pay Community Tax and they kept in touch with me. They emailed and texted me a lot.

Enrolling with Community Tax was really easy. I can’t have a phone on the unit at one of the jobs I work at. I told them they could text me to keep in touch with me and they did. I spoke to numerous people and their reps were really good at communicating, not just with me, but with each other. That was key so that they'd all be on the same page. And that was what I really liked. Moreover, my interactions with them were very professional and fun.

I’m done with the program and just have to pay the IRS $80. In the beginning, when I paid Community Tax everything and went through the part where the IRS had lost my information, Community Tax told me to re-fax everything. Luckily, I keep receipts and copies. I re-sent everything and they kept calling IRS and IRS finally okayed everything. They went down from however much I owed to 100. The 20 I paid earlier was included and they said to just pay the $80 before May 5th. I had a great experience with Community Tax. They are the LL Cool J of tax assistance. Community Tax helped me out a lot and I’m glad they are in my hometown so I can brag. I have already recommended them to somebody.

Community Tax response

Hi Avery! Thank you so much for the feedback, we are so glad that you had a great experience with us, and that we were able to get you into a great resolution! Please don't hesitate to give us a call if you need anything in the future! Thanks again!

Original review: March 13, 2019

Tax advocacy was what Community Tax did for me for a delinquent tax bill. I talked to to their sales rep to sell me on the product and explain the package that they could provide. As soon as I signed up with them, I paid them in full. They set up the transfer of funds and I got a login information and private ID number to call in with. I’ve had several interactions with their reps over the last two years and it got a little frustrating because I got shuffled around a bit. I’d go from one specialist to another. I had a little trouble with some of the information that they were requesting. They said that they needed to change some of my obligations that I was listing for my debts. I told them to just do what they all have to do.

Furthermore, they were a little behind the ball in getting information from the IRS. I was getting it faster than I was getting it from them most of the time. But they explained that it might be necessary because the IRS would send the information to me and I'd have an attorney waiver in place so that everything they sent me would go over to Community Tax as well, and I was not to respond to anything that the IRS sent me. So, I’d call Community Tax and say, “Hey, I just got this lien notice,” or “I just got this rejection notice,” and they were quick to explain it. It was just weird that I would get that before them or that I would call them before they would contact me.

The whole experience made my partner very upset for a long time. She thought that they were just a scam because we paid them all this money and almost two years later, we still haven’t resolved with the IRS. They weren’t able to get a resolution. But a couple of months ago, they finally did, out of the blue. My partner was happy and said that it was money well-spent. It saved us $30,000. The experience was frustrating but it was a good deal.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the feedback, Beau! We are glad that we could help you reach such a great resolution with the IRS, but we are sorry that you did not have a great experience going through the process. We would like to discus your case with you in more detail to see what we can do to make things right, and prevent similar issues in the future. Can you please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction team to discuss the case in more detail? Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Community Tax was a great asset for me to deal with the IRS and it was a pleasure to work with Patricia ** who was knowledgeable and always kept me informed with my case. She’s a real asset to their company.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I welcome the opportunity to give feedback regarding my experience with Community Tax and their staff. From the first time I called, I received excellent service and Kari ** has exceeded my expectations regarding her expertise and professionalism regarding my tax situation. She returns my calls and/or emails promptly. I’m very pleased with Kari and would highly recommend Community Tax to anyone need assistance with their taxes. Sincerely, Christine **

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Community Tax makes grand promises, take your money which was not cheap and do very little and very slowly to resolve the issue. It's been over 6 months. They pass us off to customer service and they do nothing. We were promised to get IRS fees and penalties waived as this was our first ever mistake when filing with Turbo Tax. We have never been delinquent so we trusted them to handle all contact with IRS. All we get now are threading letters from IRS. They won't return phone calls and we have been reaching out weekly. I guess if your problem is not big enough, you get runaround. Not happy.

Community Tax response

Hi Carole, we are so sorry that you had a poor experience. We show that a member of our Customer Satisfaction team has already reached out to you. We are confident that we can work with you to make things right. Please give us a call back at 773-577-2938. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Ms. Patricia **, is an amazingly customer service representative.. She’s got the most, incredible personality and thoughtfulness. She, was so attentive working on my case.. kept me up to date by following up with me every 2 weeks.. Ms. Patricia **, thank you so much for your services. You ROCK!

Grace

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Grace! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution. We will pass your kind words along to Patricia, she really is one of the best! Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

Would like to thank Lissette ** of Community Tax for her VERY helpful, timely, professional and caring assistance in not only getting my Tax Returns done in such an efficient and easy manner, but mostly for treating me with such dignity and respect with what is, and can be such a frustrating and even embarrassing situation. Lissette, and the entire team at Community Tax have truly been amazing and a real miracle for me at this time in my life. I HIGHLY recommend you call them ASAP if you are in need of any tax issues or concerns!

Community Tax response

Hello Sherri! We love hearing stories like this, and thank you so much for sharing your experience! We're so happy we could help, and we will absolutely pass your kind words along to Lisette and the team! Please don't hesitate to give us a call for any future tax needs. Thank you again!

Community Tax Company Information