Call toll free
4.39/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Community Tax, we strive to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years we have assisted tens of thousands of taxpayers in dealing with the IRS and/or State Taxing Authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns, to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Our office is staffed with dedicated licensed tax professionals that will work with you to customize a tax strategy for both the present and the future. We look forward to working with you for all your tax needs.

Illinois CPA Society
Non-CPA Asosciate Member of AICPA
Illinois Chamber of Commerce
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

507 Community Tax Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 12, 2019

We got to a point where we cannot afford the taxes because my husband lost a lot of his client. He was self-employed and I’m working. Community Tax has been very helpful to us. After seeing Community Tax, I contacted them. They called me back. So, I asked what they do, how they're gonna help us, and their guy explained to me. But then my husband researched them and he said, “Oh, okay. This is like a good company because they’re on that BBB."

Community Tax is a good company. They’re very nice people. Until now, they handle our taxes. They prepare our taxes and tax relief, they offer their service, and they monitor. They did everything, and they’re really good. I already recommended them to people that needed help with their taxes. At first, when I looked at it, it was a big cash-in. And I thought we couldn’t afford it. They then run through us on what we do and then their fee was reasonable, so we make payment to them to pay the things. It was really helpful. It was not like some company that ask for their price right up in the front. Community Tax said, “Okay. Just tell us how much you can afford every month to pay their prices.” So, that’s what I did. They take out 600 every time, at a time on my check, and then I get to pocket a little.

The Community Tax reps are all nice. The first guy I dealt with was the one that helped us the most to get the thing done with one of the lawyers and he helped out set up our account. And when they told us about their price, and we told them we don’t have the money, he said, “Don’t worry. We can make payment.” So, every month they tell us how much it’s gonna cost, we can make payment, and they’re even preparing our tax. The quality of their service is very nice. They call us every month and if we have any questions, they explain to us. So, they always check up on us every month. The money that we pay is worth it because we don’t have to worry with the IRS.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Faye! We're glad to help. We'll hope you'll give us a call again come Tax time!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2019

When I was in San Diego an old man told me that I didn't have to pay the taxes until every three years. I listened to him and by the time I reached the fourth year, the IRS said that that was only if they owed me, but if I owed them, I gotta pay. By the time I was able to negotiate with them, the debt kept quickly piling up and I couldn’t stop it. Then I heard the commercial of Community Tax. They told me that I'd be okay and to just pay 4,000. I paid 400 a month to pay Community Tax and they kept in touch with me. They emailed and texted me a lot.

Enrolling with Community Tax was really easy. I can’t have a phone on the unit at one of the jobs I work at. I told them they could text me to keep in touch with me and they did. I spoke to numerous people and their reps were really good at communicating, not just with me, but with each other. That was key so that they'd all be on the same page. And that was what I really liked. Moreover, my interactions with them were very professional and fun.

I’m done with the program and just have to pay the IRS $80. In the beginning, when I paid Community Tax everything and went through the part where the IRS had lost my information, Community Tax told me to re-fax everything. Luckily, I keep receipts and copies. I re-sent everything and they kept calling IRS and IRS finally okayed everything. They went down from however much I owed to 100. The 20 I paid earlier was included and they said to just pay the $80 before May 5th. I had a great experience with Community Tax. They are the LL Cool J of tax assistance. Community Tax helped me out a lot and I’m glad they are in my hometown so I can brag. I have already recommended them to somebody.

Community Tax response

Hi Avery! Thank you so much for the feedback, we are so glad that you had a great experience with us, and that we were able to get you into a great resolution! Please don't hesitate to give us a call if you need anything in the future! Thanks again!

Original review: March 13, 2019

Tax advocacy was what Community Tax did for me for a delinquent tax bill. I talked to to their sales rep to sell me on the product and explain the package that they could provide. As soon as I signed up with them, I paid them in full. They set up the transfer of funds and I got a login information and private ID number to call in with. I’ve had several interactions with their reps over the last two years and it got a little frustrating because I got shuffled around a bit. I’d go from one specialist to another. I had a little trouble with some of the information that they were requesting. They said that they needed to change some of my obligations that I was listing for my debts. I told them to just do what they all have to do.

Furthermore, they were a little behind the ball in getting information from the IRS. I was getting it faster than I was getting it from them most of the time. But they explained that it might be necessary because the IRS would send the information to me and I'd have an attorney waiver in place so that everything they sent me would go over to Community Tax as well, and I was not to respond to anything that the IRS sent me. So, I’d call Community Tax and say, “Hey, I just got this lien notice,” or “I just got this rejection notice,” and they were quick to explain it. It was just weird that I would get that before them or that I would call them before they would contact me.

The whole experience made my partner very upset for a long time. She thought that they were just a scam because we paid them all this money and almost two years later, we still haven’t resolved with the IRS. They weren’t able to get a resolution. But a couple of months ago, they finally did, out of the blue. My partner was happy and said that it was money well-spent. It saved us $30,000. The experience was frustrating but it was a good deal.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the feedback, Beau! We are glad that we could help you reach such a great resolution with the IRS, but we are sorry that you did not have a great experience going through the process. We would like to discus your case with you in more detail to see what we can do to make things right, and prevent similar issues in the future. Can you please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction team to discuss the case in more detail? Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had a problem with back taxes. I heard something on the radio about Community Tax and I checked on their reviews, so I decided to see what they were talking about. When I enrolled, they put me in contact with someone who asked me a few questions, took some information from me, and told me what would happen. Then somebody else called me and they kinda set up the stuff. They told me what I needed to give them and to forward them that information. After sending them whatever they needed, I got in contact with another person and they became my go-to person and contact. They told me what I needed to bring or what I needed to send, my time frame, and things like that. And we would communicate through email. The whole process took about seven months to complete which was pretty much within the timeline they gave me, though there was a little miscommunication at some point.

The reps I worked with were really cool and good personality-wise. Most of them were able to answer the questions that I had and the only issue I had was that I sometimes would receive duplicate requests. If I had spoken to my tax preparer about something that I needed to send in or I said I was waiting on this document, somebody else would call me and say that I need to send in such and such or that they were still waiting on me even though I sent the document already. So that bothered me that sometimes it didn’t always seem that they were on the same page internally. And with them and with taxes, you kinda get a little antsy and a little concerned.

They also had to do a credit check and told me that I could qualify for financing. So, I had to get in with a finance company, which I wasn’t really expecting to have to do, and that was independent of whatever I owed for taxes. Other than that, I would tell others to go with Community Tax because ultimately, they resolved the issue. In terms of them doing what they said, they definitely did that.

Community Tax response

Thank you so much for the kind words, Nakiya! We will pass this feedback along to your tax team. We hope to hear from you come 2019 tax season!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I was thinking to see another way to solve my tax problem but I was so busy at work. I decided to call Community Tax because I heard their phone number. They gave it on the broadcast so I just called right away. They made an appointment about a day later. The person who helped me the first time was so nice. I was happy to do the steps in trying to fix my problem. I signed up for their tax relief program. They talked to an IRS representative and they went over my income that I don’t make that much money yearly. I’m supposed to get the tax back instead of paying but I was not reporting my tax every year. My income was less than what I’m supposed to get every year and I have four kids.

I've worked with the whole team at Community Tax and every time I called, they knew what they were doing. Also, they knew who was calling right away with my number and they went right away to the computer. They would tell me they would let me know as soon as they get something from the IRS and sometimes, when they needed something like a proof of income five years ago, they would send me three notices, one by text, one by email and one by mail. So there wasn’t a way to miss it. They were making sure that I received notices of what they needed, every paperwork that they needed from me or any receipts from me.

I was surprised by how they work and I like it. However, the only thing I don't like is that they took a long time to fix my problem. It took almost three years. I knew they were busy and they were working on my case but every time they call me, they say it was gonna take time and I should just be patient. Also, the reason my case took a little bit longer was because I don’t even have internet at home. And every time I have to do the paperwork, I have to go somewhere and do a fax. It would take me three or four days to send just a little page because I have to download it from my email then I have to sign it and then I have to fax it back.

I was kind of tight in my payment but sometimes, they let me pay two weeks later from the day that I was supposed to pay it. They were always flexible on my payments. I just called and asked for the extension. They said what they needed was to let them know because the payment was an electronic one so they needed to stop the payment. They really worked with me and they did a good job because they solved my problem.

Community Tax response

Hey Horacio! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! and thank you for the feedback, it always helps us do a better job! Should you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: June 19, 2019

We originally hired Community Tax to help us with our IRS tax problems. It took at least three or so years for Community Tax to fully resolved our difficult and what seemed to be impossible situation. Their tax experts were able to obtain the almost perfect resolution for us. And, yes, we were asked to submit a lot of pertinent information necessary for our case. They worked side by side with us, and the process was tedious, and slow on the part of the IRS. No one can rush the IRS! Community Tax have very wonderful people on their staff. They were always answering my questions, as we were in desperate need to get our case resolved in our favor. We had some ups and downs during the process, but; Community Tax had experts who would work with the IRS "experts", and that's not an easy task!

We want to recommend Community Tax to anyone who is going through an IRS problem, and is desperate to get the help they need! Community Tax was easy to work with. Very competent case advocates, knowledgeable, approachable, even when we didn't see "a light at the end of the tunnel". We are amazed with the results obtained from the IRS!! It happened because of Community Tax!!

Original review: June 18, 2019

So far, I have had a wonderful experience with Community Tax Service. They (Erica **) is very attentive and understands my needs. She makes me feel comfortable, even when I am terrified, she puts me at ease. The other staff members are also amazing and understanding.

Community Tax response

Hi Bobbie! How wonderful to hear about your experience with our team here at Community Tax! We think Erica is pretty great too and are happy to help you out. Please don't hesitate to reach out in the future should you need assistance during tax season!

Original review: June 17, 2019

Community Tax did a great job filing my federal income taxes from 2013 to 2018. They did an excellent job negotiating a very large tax bill and getting the IRS to place my taxes due into an UNCOLLECTABLE category. I'm very pleased with the outcome. Thanks again to Community Tax.

Community Tax response

Thanks Daniel! We certainly appreciate you taking the time to post about your experience with our team here at Community Tax. We are happy to help out! Call us if we can help out with anything in the future.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Community Tax has been wonderful! Extremely helpful! Chris ** went above and beyond for me! Always explained everything thoroughly so I understood what was going on. Thank you so much for your help! Really appreciated!

Community Tax response

Hello Toni! Thanks so much for the great review. We love to hear that our team went above & beyond for you! Please feel free to reach out to us next tax season!

Original review: June 15, 2019

Wonderful people, they interact well with clients through keeping the client informed. Follow ups are frequently. I would recommend this service to friends and family. Never felt as though they were unprofessional, and always felt confident of having great representations.

Community Tax response

Dear Calvin-We really appreciate your kind words. We're glad that we got you a great resolution and are happy that you recommend us to friends & family! Thank you again.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Enrolling with Community Tax was easy. I called and talked to their reps and they told me their process. They kept in contact with me at all times on what I needed to do and the procedures that were coming up and what papers and documents I needed to send to them. That was really nice. The payment plan they set up for me was good too. Community Tax got me out of the debt that I was in. I have since recommended them to a friend.

Community Tax response

Wow Jose! We are thrilled to hear you had a great experience-and went so far as to recommend us to your friend! We are happy to help you out. Please don't hesitate to reach out next tax season!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 13, 2019

I got Community Tax to do tax debt relief for me. However, I'm disappointed that they sold the loan to another company which I haven't been pleased with. I wasn't told that. At the time, I was paying tax relief for X amount of money supposedly for two years. The other finance company extended it for three more years. If I would've known they were gonna sell the loan that I'm paying them, I never would have done this because if I would've continued paying Community Tax like I was supposed to, my fee would have been paid by December of '19. The other company reduced the payment by $25. Also, the sale wasn't negotiated with me. Community Tax automatically did it and I hate them for that. I wouldn't refer anybody else to Community Tax again.

Hi Charles-

We are very sorry for any frustration that resulted from the financing process. We strive to make our services affordable and accessible to the public at large. We will definitely reach out to you today, to see if there is anything we can do to remedy this situation.

Original review: June 12, 2019

Community Tax came to my rescue, referred to me by my sister who gave me a good feeling about using them to fix my problem. I can truly recommend them to help you resolve your tax burdens. I was very pleased with the results. They are the best of the best. I found an advocate. After talking to him once no matter what the question he had an answer. Thanks Dan ** for guiding me through the process and helping overcome my fears of not knowing what to expect. Pat **

Community Tax response

Wow Patricia! We think Dan is pretty great too. We hope to hear from you next tax season if you need our help! Thanks for your kind words.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I was being stressed out with all the letters coming from the IRS. Didn't have the money to pay and didn't know what to do. Then my mom and I heard on the radio about Community Tax and gave them a call and all I can say is thank God they took me step by step on what to do. Explained everything in detail and now I feel like I can breathe again. Thank you Chris and everyone at Community Tax that helped me. You guys have made my life better.

Community Tax response

Hi Aarian John! So happy you heard about us on the radio & reached out to us! We think our team is pretty great too and we are thrilled to help you out. Feel free to call in the future with any tax matters.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I needed help with my back taxes. I went with Community Tax and my experience with them was great. They reduced my taxes, so that was good. Dan, the agent I worked with, was very good at his job and he did what he said he was gonna do. I also felt very comfortable with him. I'm very happy with the company.

Community Tax response

Hi Tyler! Wow, we really love receiving reviews like this. We will be sure to pass along your kind words to Dan. Don't hesitate to contact us in the future should you need our help!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 8, 2019

When people are handling something as serious as their taxes, they do not want that information scattered between six different people. You want the same one or two people handling your tax information. But in Community Tax, too many people were handling my case in the beginning. The person who handles the preparation doesn't handle the resolution. So you don't really have an advocate. I understand there’s a lawyer, a PPA and a tax advocate but Community Tax needs to keep that within the realms of their office. I only need to communicate with one person. If I’m communicating with too many people, then I’m thinking that there’s a miscommunication in the office. I would have already communicated the same thing to someone else earlier that month so I would not be repeating myself.

In addition to that, the person who did my taxes actually called my job because they had filed someone else’s social security on my 1099. I was like, “How stupid is she? This is not a social. This is the EIN number.” Then after doing the taxes, I never spoke to that person again. Someone else handled my stuff. I also felt like I was pushing paper. I even spoke to someone to ask why I was sending them stuff. That was what I was paying them for. But they said the government was in shutdown and it was gonna take them longer. I ended up sending whatever they needed myself. I spent lots of time to snapshot and upload things. I really wasn’t happy.

When I was introduced to Community Tax, speaking to Denise, the initial screening representative, I was told they would take care of all my tax problems for 2016, '17, and '18. I already had a previous plan from 2015 that I was paying on and Community Tax told me to stop paying on it because they were gonna get everything all bundled in together. But all of a sudden, I received $10,000 worth of state mail as well as $47,000 worth of federal mail. I was like, “Wait a minute. What the hell is going on?” Then I was told I had signed an agreement and this and that.

I didn't read everything verbatim but in my communication with Denise, when she said "all of my tax problems", I was thinking federal and state. I’m not separating the two in my mind because when I’m filing, I file them together so quite naturally, someone is gonna expect that. I expected to maybe get my penalties reduced. So I was thinking maybe OIC, offer in compromise. I’m not stupid. I might appear to be not as articulate in terms of speaking finances because I’m not a finance person but I’m not illiterate. Right now, I just received something stating that it went over to a third party. So if it doesn't get resolved quickly, then I don't know what I’m looking at. In my initial conversation with Denise, I was also told I would be safe from punishment and that I'm protected. Denise said they were gonna do an internal investigation and that’s where they would get the draft from the IRS.

Once I found out that the $47,000 included $9000 more now, I was livid. I called to find out why I was receiving these letters. I'm dealing with Chris now. He's the fourth person I've had an encounter with and he was the only one who has effectively communicated. He explained the most of everything to me. He’s a senior advocate and he’s been here for a while. So he answers my emails and calls me right me right back. I’ve been nothing but satisfied since I met Chris. Unfortunately, he just had to be the bearer of all the bad news.

He stayed on the phone with me. He said that it was what I currently owed and they were gonna try to get a resolution of non-collectible. I was like, "What?" My goal was to eventually get a mortgage. I went crazy trying to get my credit score over 700 for that purpose. So now, I’m waiting on a resolution to mess up everything that I’ve been building since 2015. I've had a positive communication with Chris but in terms of the overall process, I was very angry with that.

My tax debt is so high is because the same person who had been preparing my taxes for 25 years passed away in 2017. I didn't know anyone to go to. I thought I would wait and do the three years together. I had no idea that the penalties were gonna be so high. So unfortunately, this is where I am – owing $47,000. Then an agency would tell me that I can put these on a non-collectible which means this tax debt will go away in 10 years. I don't wanna be someone that looks like I don't pay my bills.

They said I wasn’t eligible for offer in compromise or with tax abatement because I had a 2017 plan. I was told they couldn't can’t handle that because I had penalties and interest on one of my terms in 2015. But if they don't tell me that I don't qualify for those things and then the end result is a non-collectible resolution, which is gonna slam my credit and still have me owing this amount of money, I would not be very happy with that. When they were doing the research and doing the taxes, none of that was discussed. Community Tax needs to tell a person those things in the beginning so that the person would know whether or not they wanna push through with them.

Also, I called up the state five minutes after I got the letter and went into a payment plan. When I spoke to the IRS about the state, the rep said they never saw a problem with me. They gave me a payment plan right away, the same way the IRS would have given me a payment plan for 72 because I was under 50,000. What about the Fresh Start Initiative? Nobody ever discussed those things with me and nobody has still. I was reading the reviews and people were saying that Community Tax helped with their debt and that one had a debt of 50,000 but ended up paying 15,000. I'm not thinking that I’m not gonna have to pay anything. I’m thinking that we could have at least gone with one offer in compromise but instead, we went with the highest tax bill of 20,000.

My goal was to get the penalties reduced. If I knew that this place was not some place that was gonna do an offer in compromise or a tax abatement, I would’ve never used them. I would've just gone and dealt with the IRS head on. I would’ve written letters and done whatever it is that I needed to do. Paying Community Tax $2,200 just to do something that I could have done myself doesn't make sense because if they don't accept the resolution, then I’ll be on a collectible payment plan, which is what I’m already on with the state. Why pay Community Tax $2200 to put me in a non-collectible situation? I didn't want a lien. It was never discussed to me. None of those options were discussed with me in the initial phase of the progress. Right now, I’m waiting hopefully for this non-collectible phase to come through. I just wanna be able to keep my state plan up because that’s 36 months then deal with this big federal issue that I have.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the feedback, Tramayne. We are so sorry that you felt this way and did not have the best experience. Our Customer Satisfaction team would like to discuss this with you in more detail and see what we can do to help. We will be reaching out to you today, but you can also call us at 773-577-2938, or email us at CCS@communitytax.com. We look forward to speaking with you!

Original review: May 31, 2019

This is truly a 5 star service. Community Tax provided a team of professionals to help me take care of questions and tax filing processes after many attempts of working with the IRS who only created more stress and difficulties. A special thank you to Tessa ** who coordinated all necessary communications while keeping me up to date.

Community Tax response

Hi Patricia! We are very pleased to hear about the great service you received with us. We will be sure to pass along your kind message and feel free to reach out in the future!

Original review: May 30, 2019

I spoke with Community Tax's reps over the phone. Christy, the rep whom I worked with, was there from the get-go. She got back with me every time. Community Tax really helped me out and provided relief. They explained everything really well for me. I got really good service from them.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Community Tax is doing a good job with my case and I’m very satisfied. The process takes time, but they always keep in touch. Working with them had at least hold off the liens that I had as we wait for the case to be resolved.

Community Tax response

Hello Hector! We are happy to hear our staff is doing a great job! Thanks again for your kind comments and we really appreciate hearing from you.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Considering the ease of working with Community Tax, as far as getting information to them and their electronic retrieval of account information, we chose to have them for our accounting and tax preparation. We enrolled several years ago and our experience was daunting because we had to get our bank involved. We wanted automated account information retrieval so the accountants at Community Tax could get our banking information without us having to either upload or send them a file. They were able to make it easier. They even came up with a custom way to get information from our point of sale system, which the accountant that we were using before wasn’t able to do. The process took a little longer, but in the end, Community Tax got the job done.

Now, I don’t have to do my accounting or taxes anymore. Also, I don't have to spend hours looking through receipts and asking my wife what something she bought six months ago was for. And for the small business that we have, the service is ideally priced for what they provide for us. We changed agents, though. We only used the one we started with for a couple of months. We had a communication issue with him, so they changed our accountant. I'm very comfortable with my agent now. I could call our new accountant and ask him anything. He always answers us then and I like that. Plus, he's available on the phone instead of just through email.

Community Tax response

Hey Tony! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! Should you need anything, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

Original review: May 13, 2019

Community Tax was advertised at the time that they had IRS personnel that worked for them, and they would be able to guarantee no audits. They did my tax resolution, and they also did my actual taxes. The enrollment process was easy. It just took me one step over the phone. Community Tax ended up getting my stuff done. And that was something I needed. Right now, I’ve been waiting for a callback. I need to know if they resolved my new fee with IRS. I actually called, left about three voicemails about a week ago, and I haven't heard from him anywhere yet. I've been working with Leticia, Ashley, Amir, Dennis and Derrick. Amir and Dennis seemed to be overly thorough. They spent a lot of time talking to me on the phone. With the exception of me waiting for a callback from Ashley for a week and some change, everyone’s been efficient.

In the beginning, Ashley was great. But right now, my correspondence with him is contingent on me purchasing a home right now. I left him so many voicemails that went unanswered. I even questioned if he’s still even employed with the company. Maybe he’s on vacation or maybe he’s not employed. That’s how long I’ve been waiting for him to call me back, and that’s how many voicemails I’ve left him. And so, what happened was I paid the company about $2,000 for that portion, and I took the day off so I can call the IRS myself. And I redid everything that he did for me and more because I didn’t hear back from him. Other than that, working with Community Tax has been good. Since enrolling with them, it seems like I may have a go-to for these types of situations.

Community Tax response

Hello Mr. Smith! Thank you for providing this feedback, we sincerely apologize that you have these concerns, and have had trouble getting in touch. Someone from our Customer Satisfaction department will be reaching out to you today to help resolve this. You can also reach us directly. We look forward to making things right! Thank you.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Community Tax saved my life. I was about to go crazy and I didn’t know what to do, and then their program solved my problem. I threw a number out to them and they worked with the state of Wisconsin to try to get them to agree to that. The state didn’t agree, but Community Tax worked with the state to come up with a number that I could manage. And so far, I’ve made three payments to the state. Enrollment was very easy, too. I've worked with John and Paula, and Paula did a wonderful job of helping me. We’re several hundred miles apart, and we did everything over the computer or the phone. I was very satisfied with my interaction with them and I feel very comfortable about this process. Community Tax is very competent and their service was wonderful, and so was my experience with them.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Mary! We're so happy we could help! We think John and Paula are great too!

Original review: May 10, 2019

After 5 years and nearly $5,000 in debt to the IRS, Community Tax was able to provide me with "peace of mind" with their team of professionals. For a fraction of my outstanding debt to the IRS, they resolved my issue above and beyond my expectations. God Bless them.

Community Tax response

Hi Dwight! We are so glad we could help , and we appreciate the positive feedback! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us for your future tax needs!

Original review: May 10, 2019

I had some serious problems with my tax debt. So, I contacted Community Tax. My experience was fantastic and overall, they were great. So I'm glad that I contacted them. I worked with two ladies. I worked with the main person who was great. She seemed to care. And then there was somebody who was the go-to person. And she was a great help, too. They were understanding and patient.

Community Tax took $147 a week until the fee was paid. I worked my ** off to pay it. But they negotiated a really good deal. I had to forfeit my tax return this year. I had to take care of some matters, but I was able to do everything they asked me to do. And the matter was all resolved. It's such a relief. I have completed the program and I got my letter and everything at home. They kept $4,000 on my taxes this year but that was in the agreement and that was okay. It really made a big difference in my life.

I'm glad I chose to be with Community Tax. This gave me a whole new leaf on life. Right around the time I started working with them, I just gotten a new job. I had a business, and I had it for a while. It failed. A lot of them was back taxes from that. But once I made the agreement for Community Tax to handle it and for me to make the payments, it was worth every nickel because they did everything they said they were gonna do.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Stephen! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution. We will pass your kind words along the team! Feel free to reach back out to us next tax season!

Original review: May 9, 2019

One thing I can say is owing the IRS money is not a fun thing! But when I got on board with Community Tax they helped me all the way to the finish line, and my man Daniel ** in legal!! What a blessing to have this guy. I recommend these cats all day every day! Aloha!!

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, David! We're so happy we could help! We think Dan is really one of the best too!

Original review: May 5, 2019

I needed to fix my problems for the IRS and I felt that Community Tax was very good for the other ones. They provided the service for doing my taxes and for my attorneys. The services were very good. If we have any problem and we have any question, we just call in and they answer them. However, the customer service is sometimes not good. When I call Community Tax and tell them I need to speak to my agent, they say they can't help me and send me to the different department to different agents. And I would ask a question, and they'd say I'd need to talk to my agent.

Community Tax response

Hi Jason! Thanks for the positive feedback. We appreciate your comments and always strive for excellent customer service. We will definitely use your input to help us improve and be better.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I got tired of the IRS having control over me. I got family that works for the IRS in Virginia, and I'm not their enemy at all. They're wearing a uniform, they got a job to do, and they're part of our country, but they're a royal pain in the butt. I wanted to get rid of that irritation. The IRS let me off the hook easily which is really unbelievable, and Community Tax was the one who did it. They helped me get straight with the IRS. They helped me be legal. There's no cost they could charge me that’s not worth it.

Dealing with Community Tax was the easiest thing I've ever done. They did all the work. I just provided documents that I could find. The agents I worked with were down to earth. The lawyers and everybody were as polite as they could be. They’ve done better than a lot of people, and I've recommended them every opportunity I could. Community Tax has got my heart. I'm very happy with doing business with them.

Community Tax response

Hey Lawrence! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! Should you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

Original review: May 3, 2019

CTAX is professional, dedicated tax experts. In 2014 CTAX took care of a mess I had 7 years of unpaid taxes, my IRS letters stopped & I was reminded, at my conv Cris ** (and all) diligent, attentive!!

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Vladimir! We're glad we could help. We'll hope you'll give us a call again again come Tax time!

Original review: May 1, 2019

My wife heard about Community Tax and she got us started with them. However, they got kind of confused. The enrollment process was pretty tricky. It seemed as though they didn’t have all the information together from time to time. And we had to repeat some of the information for them to get it all going. Some of the information was crossed up somehow. I don’t know if they were getting confirmation back from the IRS or not.

The things that I didn’t like about them is you get different tax agents. You didn’t get the same one all the time. My wife and I talked to two different people and the debt that I did have, they didn’t pass all of our information. Sometimes, they would have the right stuff, and sometimes, they wouldn’t. What we also found out was we didn't owe some of those taxes. And they had to do the research. They really did the best that they could but maybe they could beef up their research department a little bit more. The cost was also a little high compared to the service at the time because we ended up still having to work out some of the deals with the IRS. And that was what they were supposed to do. But they were pretty honest. They took their time to work with us and they had a great payment plan. It was a good experience.

Community Tax response

Hi Terrence! We are so glad we could help , and we appreciate the feedback since it helps us get better at what we do. If you have any questions or concerns please call our customer care department. Thank you!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I was looking for help in settling my tax debt when I came across Community Tax. I was contacted soon after inputting my info by a gentleman that pretty much lied to me from the start. I was told he could get me a compromise and possibly a refund. I was told if they can't save me any money then I would receive a full refund. After about 2 months I finally hear back, but it wasn't for a compromise. It was for a non-collection status. So I just added 25% to my total debt to just ensure the IRS won't put me in the collection? I told them what I was told and that I was only told about a compromise and wanted my money back.

I tried calling the gentlemen that I first spoke to with no luck, but after an email, to him, he called me and told me I was right and that we talked about the compromise and my account would be pushed to the front of the line. About a week later I get a call from the lawyer informing me I wouldn't get a compromise due to me having disposable income. I again said I would like a refund and he said I will be getting a call from a resolution specialist to take care of that. I had to call back almost a week later and ask about my refund and again was told I would be called later that day by the RS.

Two days later I was finally called by the RS who informed me that I would only be getting a partial refund because they could help me but I was refusing the other service of non-collection. I told him what the first guy told me about the compromise and the RS had to go back and listen to the calls. After a day or two the RS called me back and send yes, "You were right" but his manager would like to see my pay stubs to see in he could help me, and to no surprise, he could. I was told I couldn't be helped and now all of a sudden I can? So far I've paid 1652, the first 500 was for them the investigate my tax returns. Was told I would get that back if they can't help me, they lied. They charge 275 to do a simple tax return. Can't get that back.

DO NOT GO WITH THIS PLACE. They are only telling me they can help me because they know I was told I would get all my money back if I could not be saved any money, now that they are saying they can do the compromise I have to pay almost 1100 to see just how much I could be saved plus lose both this year and next years tax returns. I could of put the 3200 towards the IRS debt and with this year's tax return cut the IRS debt in half but thanks to CTS I have even more debt.

Community Tax response

Mr. Leezer, we are so sorry that you have had a negative experience. We show that our Customer Satisfaction team has been in contact with you earlier today. Can you please give us a call back so we can continue to resolve this for you?

Community Tax expert review by Andrew Poulos

Community Tax is a company focused on tax relief staffed by tax attorneys and bankers. The company focuses on a two step process to resolve tax issues.

• Nominal fees: Community Tax touts their fee policy for tax relief customers. The company first analyzes the customer's debt situation, then comes up with a tailored plan and fee suited to the situation, so clients needn't pay a large upfront fee for services. The fee is refundable if Community Tax can't help the customer.

• Online learning center: The Community Tax website offers a learning center where customers and potential customers can visit to learn about tax relief, debt and more.

• All flat rates: In addition to no fee upfront, Community Tax charges only flat rates for work and never tacks on additional fees for extra services.

• Convenience: Community Tax provides tax and IRS help to people who live all over the country, so the service is convenient to use no matter where a customer lives.

• Online presence: With Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages, Community Tax has an extensive and helpful online web and social media presence.

• Best for: Individuals with garnished wages, individuals with a federal tax lien or levy and innocent spouses.

Profile picture of Andrew Poulos
Andrew Poulos Tax Relief Contributing Editor

Andrew G. Poulos, EA, ABA, ATP, is principal of Poulos Accounting & Consulting, Inc. in Atlanta, GA where he works with individual and business tax clients and represents clients before the IRS and state labor agencies. A self-made entrepreneur and real estate investor, Andrew is an author, national speaker and nationally syndicated tax software expert.

Community Tax questions and answers

What problem is Community Tax trying to solve?
Community Tax works everyday to solve our clients’ tax problems – plain and simple. We offer solutions for common problems like tax debts, unfiled returns, audits, liens, garnishments, payroll taxes, accounting and bookkeeping issues.

Community Tax is already attempting to capture client feedback on a real-time basis. We want a steady stream of positive feedback in our online and media presence, but we also want to capture potential issues that one or more clients experience in order to help ensure future clients can avoid those same experiences. We are always open, evaluating and modifying processes to suit our client’s needs. Client feedback – good or bad – is the strongest tool we have to point us in the right direction. Every company has problems, it’s how you address those problems that sets you apart from your competition.
What sets Community Tax apart from the competition?
In regards to solving tax problems, Community Tax has a two-phase approach to addressing our client’s tax liability. Many tax companies initially offer a proposed one-time flat fee to resolve a client’s tax problem after just one phone call with the client, and often request thousands of dollars in return. Each taxpayer's situation is unique and we complete an investigation to determine the scope of their tax problem in regard to balances, filing requirements, audits, etc. We also perform a financial analysis to predetermine what government programs the client may be eligible for. This service is offered at a small investment to our clients, usually around $400-$500.

We’re aware much of our competition has adopted the two-phase approach as well, however we have seen and heard they can often charge double what we ask – for the same “stated” investigation service. We’ll often go beyond the operational cost we incur to perform our investigation service and we do this to deliver the best possible recommendation for our clients on every case, regardless if they choose to move forward with retaining CTAX to achieve that solution.

We maintain in-house technology and processes allowing us to complete a thorough investigation and analysis within days when many of competitors take weeks to perform the same service. This is an added value to any client who is trying to avoid collection activity with the IRS, as time is typically of the essence. When the investigation is complete we present the client with any tax returns that must be filed, which government program he is eligible for and exactly what it will cost the customer (in fees) if they choose to have Community Tax handle their resolution strategy. The client has the option to move forward with our tax preparation services and negotiation, or not.

Finally, we feel Community Tax is one of the few, (possibly only) tax relief companies maintaining an internal compliance department to proactively monitor our teams for quality assurance. We feel it’s essential to ensure consistency and accuracy with the tax services we offer clients as we primarily conduct business with customers from all across the country by phone, email and fax, rather than face-to-face.
What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
In addition to the speed and cost of our investigation service, we also have tailored investigation services addressing specific IRS collection actions, such as active garnishments and audit situations. However, we really feel the most significant and beneficial edge our company delivers to our clients, is the on-going annual tax assistance service(s) after we are done negotiating and establishing their final resolution. We want to ensure our clients complete the resolution program we established in full so they never get into a similar situation in the future – and we want to handle all of their income tax needs for the rest of their lives.
How does Community Tax measure success?
We evaluate the number of resolutions we achieve for our clients, as well as the savings we may have been able to obtain on each case. However, only until a resolution is achieved and we receive notification of a positive client experience behind the service we delivered, can we ultimately acknowledge it as a “successful case.”

We are always trying to become more efficient in our process. During the resolution phase of our tax relief program, there is a need for a significant amount of interaction between our office and the client in the course of preparing taxes and negotiating a resolution. Unfortunately, it’s not always convenient for the client to speak to us when we would like to update or request something specifically regarding their file. In retaining feedback from our clients about this specific phase of our service, we were able to address their concerns and their feedback was the ultimate driving factor in implementing our current SMS client communication system, which is now available and utilized on every case we service. Our clients now receive updates on everything from the status of their case to payment reminders.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the tax relief industry?
The settlement programs available from taxing authorities are eligibility-based using the most current financial data. Without properly evaluating, analyzing (or investigating) into the taxpayers individual situation, no honest tax advisor could confirm a solution to one’s tax problem. Unfortunately, a settlement of tax debt is advertised by many as a one-size-fits-all solution. For the record, there are a multitude of ways one could reduce an actual tax liability, but it depends specifically on the individual circumstances of the tax debt and the taxpayer. Our investigation uncovers and evaluates every option an individual may have at resolving their debt in order to educate the clients on all of their resolution options.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Competition in the tax relief industry has grown tremendously. States have become far more aggressive in their collection efforts and unfortunately, depending on the state, there are typically fewer resolutions options available to clients when compared to the IRS. On the reverse, the IRS has put forth initiatives to allow for lien removals and relaxed some of their program qualifications in an effort to promote taxpayer compliance and resolution.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Community Tax?
CTAX has a variety of tax solution services to handle any type of income tax need an individual or business may have. Yes, we solve tax problems. Our team has been in the business of solving tax problems for so long we know how to solve tax problems before they start. We also offer tax preparation, accounting and bookkeeping services to customers who have never experienced a tax problem, they hire us in order to keep it that way!
Has Community Tax received any awards or recognition for its services your customers would like to know about?
We were selected for 2014 Illinois Excellence by USIATC (US Institute for Advancement of Trade and Commerce). Many of our practitioners have individual awards and acknowledgements as well.
How has Community Tax grown or evolved?
Our organization was founded as a tax company specializing in the resolution of tax problems, and led by in-house tax attorneys, Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and IRS enrolled agents. Since the beginning of 2010, CTAX has been a “winning” full-service tax services company dedicated to assisting taxpayers nationwide with all of their income tax needs.

Community Tax headquarters are located in Chicago, IL with several enrollment centers and partnerships throughout the country. We currently service nearly 10,000 clients nationwide. Directed by over 25 full-time licensed tax practitioners, we are currently staffed with an estimated 135 full-time employees – and we’re growing. Over the years, CTAX has evolved into much more than just a leading nationwide tax resolution and negotiation company; we have grown into a premier tax prevention service provider as well. Through the growth of our company, we’ve been able to evolve immensely through the advancement, investment, and utilization of technology to help benefit our clients’ experience from a convenience standpoint.

Community Tax Company Information