Call toll free
4.37/5
Based on 119 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Community Tax, we strive to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years we have assisted tens of thousands of taxpayers in dealing with the IRS and/or State Taxing Authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns, to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Our office is staffed with dedicated licensed tax professionals that will work with you to customize a tax strategy for both the present and the future. We look forward to working with you for all your tax needs.

Illinois CPA Society
Non-CPA Asosciate Member of AICPA
Illinois Chamber of Commerce
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

395 Community Tax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 3, 2018

There is a saying that goes, “You don’t know who your friends are until you’re in need.” While that is certainly true of casual acquaintances and friendly companions, we typically do not apply it to tax experts in any way. There is no expectation of compassion from your tax professional. Imagine our surprise and utter relief when, during a dark and desperate financial time my wife, Claire, and I were able to seek and receive dedicated assistance from Mr. John ** with Community Tax.

We have used Community Tax on and off for a few years without any difficulty or complaint. This year, we needed help beyond the normal requests when my wife and I applied for a home equity loan. The loan manager assured us that we would be easily approved, problem free. And as we began the process, he asked us for an exhausting amount of paperwork to prove the value of our home. Of course, we expected much of it and were able to readily give him what was needed. But after the process had started to drag on, we were asked to provide letters from the IRS. Letters that, for lay people, were impossible to obtain.

Even after we closed our business with Community Tax, Mr. ** worked swiftly and generously to assist us in getting the documentation needed for the loan. He made daunting tasks look routine and helped us navigate every roadblock set before us by the lending agency. As we were approaching our deadline, the loan underwriters noted that the letters Mr. ** had obtained for us had (due to the loan manager’s horrific timing) become outdated. They insisted on another letter with new dates! Looking back, to say we were in despair seems rather dramatic, but that is exactly what happened. We had scheduled plans to have work done on our home and to pay off our IRS debt. Being refused the loan was too horrible to contemplate.

We would not have had everything ready by the deadlines, without Mr. **'s assistance. My wife and I want to thank him for his efforts. Obviously, it would have been easy for him to simply not help us, we were no longer his clients, after all. I’m sure that he was working beyond the scope of his normal job duties. But, he was a friend indeed to us and we are grateful for his passion and service commitment. We also want to recognize Ms. Theresa ** and Mr. Barry ** for their attentiveness, as well. Our deepest gratitude goes to Mr. ** and the team at Community Tax. We appreciate their dedication and help.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My experience was very good. I’ll recommend Community Tax at any time to anyone, which I have already been doing. I had used another company before and I didn’t reach anywhere with it. Once I saw where Community Tax could help, I realized that was the way to go. My case took a little while to come to a conclusion, but it wasn’t anything that Community Tax has done. It has to do with myself and how soon I was able to do my part of it. Once that was paid up and once everything was okay, it was just smooth sailing from there. The enrollment process was done initially by phone and then I got telephone correspondence in the mail which I responded to. I gathered all the information that they needed. They were able to put me on a payment plan once I was qualified for the program until whatever it was that I had to pay was fully paid.

They worked with me quite well. There were times when I didn’t have enough money in the bank and by making a phone call, or they would call me and let me know, they would reschedule me on the program so I was able to keep up with the payment. They were all good. I started out with one person and as we progressed, then it went on to either another department or another person that did their leg of it. But through it all, it was appropriated effort. There were standard emails when I had to send anything or they sent me anything and they made sure it went to the right person. On the whole, it was a team effort. Normally, I’m not able to get help the way I did through Community Tax. And they impacted me so well. It was like putting me back on a fresh start and helped me to structure my life and my habits into a positive way, and a positive attitude towards everything.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Community Tax is awesome. I owed money to IRS and they kept telling that I owed this much. Then they started to say that they were gonna have to put a lien on my check. I help my kids and my grandkids which eats into whatever little bit of money I make. I saw Community Tax on TV and I called them. A gentleman by the name of Paul called me back. He told me to just send in so much money and we'd get started then. Everybody was telling me that Community Tax was gonna charge a lot, but they were reasonable. From 15,000 that I owed, I only owe them 287.

I was very surprised and very happy when I had gotten the letter. I couldn't believe it so I called them and they said that I just had to send in $40 and keep my promise to make my next five years Income Tax and I'm clean. I had a bulldozer lifted off my back. They asked what years I wasn't back and if I had paperwork. And Paul was awesome. He stayed with me every single way, every minute, and every step. He told me what to get and what to say.

Then Community Tax's attorney called me and said that they were gonna represent me. I sent them what they needed. And they did everything. It was like having my dad again to do everything for me. They treated me like I was one of the family and fought for me. It was the best thing that could ever happen to me because my payments were something I could afford. I felt relief. They didn't pressure me. The said to send what I can just as long as I pay it by a certain date. And I did. If anybody should ever have problems, Community Tax is the place to go. Anybody that doesn't go with them and goes with somebody else is making a wrong decision.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I didn’t understand what the IRS was asking for and so I needed help with that. Community Tax was one of the first ones were the reviews I found off the internet. We started about seven years ago with them and the enrollment process was pretty simple. We answered a few questions and filled out some forms. I've also had really good interactions with my agent and I was impressed with his quick response. Also, the cost of the service was good. We’re pretty close to completing the program. Community Tax did a good job in helping me take care of a payroll tax and getting the issue with the IRS settled. Working with them has impacted my life a bit especially that when the IRS puts a tax thing on you, it’s gonna put you in a hole. I'd highly recommend Community Tax.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I had a tax issue and I heard Community Tax's ad on the radio. I thought I'd give them a try. The enrollment process wasn't bad but it didn't actually work as smooth as I thought it would. Initially, I wasn't getting anything done and it got dragged on for almost a year until I received a letter from the IRS for putting a lien on my house. Then, I had to put together my own package and we submit it all to the IRS. Whatever the requirements were as far as working with a compromise with the IRS, we had to put all that stuff together ourselves and I've got stuff that Community Tax was supposed to do that they really didn't do.

On the other hand, there's one gentleman that was very good. He was very responsive. He got back when you email him and he would respond in a timely manner. He gave us advice for the things we need to do or to follow-up. He got transferred to another department but even after he was transferred, he still followed through with us.

However, Community Tax needs work. They advertise but what they actually do is not what it is. They get some stuff done but I was a bit disappointed to go through having to constantly call them instead of them giving me an update. They'd only be able to call and give me up-to-date information on anything that was happening when I receive a letter from the IRS. And then they tell me, "That's normal." I said, "It's not your house that they are putting a lien on," and it's not normal for me. I'd tell friends to try somebody else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: May 20, 2018

Community Tax was the most wonderful and greatest company I've ever had any dealings with. I would go on anything to promote them to help people who are having problems with IRS. I was thoroughly and certainly pleased with their actions and what all they have done to help me. Now, it's resolved and it's unbelievable. It was the best action I've ever done in my life. The enrollment process was very easy. It didn't take any time at all for them to tell me what it was gonna cost me, that they would represent me, and that they would let me make easy payments. They told me what it was gonna cost me and it didn't take any time at all for them to do that. They would let me make easy payments and they represented me. Then there were two or three agents who I worked with. Anytime I've texted them or sent them something, they were right there to help me. I would recommend Community Tax to anybody. When you get your first letter from IRS, photocopy it and then get a hold of Community Tax. Ask somebody to work with and go for it.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had an IRS problem and Community Tax helped me with tax relief. When I called in, they told me what was gonna happen as far as the costs to them and what was gonna happen to try to offer something to the IRS. Community Tax was really helpful and they kept in touch with me. When I received a letter, I called and asked them the process of what they needed to do, then they walk me through it and I responded back whatever I needed to respond. They were easy and they have English and as well as Spanish-speaking people. Now, I'm done paying to Community Tax what they charged and last month, we got an IRS letter that they had accepted my offer so I got a few months until I can pay it off. Then I'll be done. Community Tax was perfect.

Original review: May 18, 2018

There was another company that I've heard over the radio and I communicated with them. But I didn't get a good vibe. And then when I called Community Tax, I felt the vibe was there. Then I found out that it was a local office so I can expedite my paperwork or anything that I needed to go there. They did an outstanding job. You come in, they treat you if you want coffee and they have doughnuts or cookies. It was just a great setting. People were always smiling. A lot of times, I walked in and I wasn't smiling because of the fear but everyone put me at ease. The people there were really supportive and I felt very comfortable.

The rep that I worked with was John. He was downtown and he really helped me throughout the program. He was a blessing and everything that came up, he communicated well to me. I made sure that I got it off my desk and put it on his and he took care of it. He went to the IRS on my part. There was pressure because the IRS would come back with something and needed more information. And John explained what I needed to do and the payment. He was great even down to the filing of the taxes. I was very happy and pleased with the outcome. Also, I got a lot of male company, telling me about the tax lien. I was aware of it and I was told two years prior that they were gonna put a lien on your home. It was a process and Community Tax kept me aware of things so I wasn't shocked.

The payment plan was $50 a week and I've chosen that amount. I wanted to try to do more but I couldn't. But that worked out fine and I was able to get things rolling. My income had changed and I became disabled. I was on Workers' compensation and it was just a bad situation for me. The cost of their service was pretty reasonable compared to the other company. Once you get to a point of making the payments, you just wanna continue to make the payment to see the thing through.

What I paid to Community Tax has no bearing on what I owed to the IRS. Everything came on me and it wasn't just the IRS, it was a lot of other factors. Both of my parents are in their 90's so I had to make sure that I could close the door on that and then focus more on other things in my life that are just as important. But I had to stand fast and make sure that I get the IRS and Community Tax paid. I made sure that everything would fall into place and I needed to do my part. Community Tax did their part and I did mine and came out as a winner.

Out of the total of the 28,000 plus, with the interest, the compromise Community Tax did for me was $110, which was outstanding. Even though the service costs, there was no fee for them representing me. It was well worth it because with the income I have now, I would still be in debt. And since I've been helped by Community Tax, I have announced it over my Prayerline. I found out that there are a couple of other people that are having issues and I passed Community Tax's number on. I've completed the program and I just got the final letter from them and the IRS has released the lien. It was a long process but I'm very pleased. My thanks to Community Tax. I learned a very valuable lesson from this and from this point on, they will always do my taxes. I really appreciate what they have done for me.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Community Tax had good reviews so I called them and got some information regarding my tax debt. They explained my options, set me up on a payment plan to get me started and told me everything I needed to do to complete the process. The reps were very knowledgeable and always available. They returned my calls promptly. I was also very comfortable working with Theresa. She was the one I talked to mostly and she was able to answer any questions I had spot on. My debt had been settled and my experience with Community Tax had been seamless. They knew what they were doing and the cost was also accurate for the service that I received.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Community Tax has been very good to me. They do the negotiations for me with federal state taxes and they handle my tax returns. When I first started with them a few years ago, I was on a payment plan. I appreciate them being flexible in working with me. But now that they’re working on some certain things, I get different agents. But they just pull up my account and they work with me from there. I’m waiting on some things and now I’m going through some stuff on my state taxes and I never received a letter. But they have called me to let me know what was said and done. They do their best to make sure everything is answered and on point. And if I do have any questions, they would text or email me or call me back by the following day.

They’ve done a lot for me as far as taking stress of the tax situation off my back and reassure me things would be handled promptly and with tax liens and everything being lifted. Everything was pretty well set. I’m waiting for a call from them now and I’m waiting for some things to be mailed out to me. I know tax season was pretty busy, so I’m still waiting on some things to be mailed out so I can sign them and send them back. But overall, I had a very pleasant experience. I will recommend them to anyone. I have recommended them to a few people.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have some problem with the IRS. I owe to them money and I'm trying to fix my income tax return. I called Community Tax after hearing about them on the radio and that they have a lot of cases and help a lot of people. They are helping me now and they’re working on the case. They gave me a payment option and I pay them each month for the case. I have a very good impression of them and they have a good communication with me.

Original review: May 4, 2018

The IRS was going after me and I first got to another local company and what they told me wasn’t what I wanted to hear. They only asked me for more money than what they were gonna help with and they didn't have real answers for me. I heard about Community Tax on the radio, then I called them and asked a couple questions. I liked what I heard so I went with them. Now, everything has been taken care of with the IRS so I’m happy. I would recommend them.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I had back IRS taxes and I got in a tax debt relief program with Community Tax. I had to give them all of my information and my financial history. The agents are always polite and respectful but interactions seem rushed, which is completely understandable because I bet they are very busy people. Also, I don't think the cost was that bad because I had quite a bit of tax debt and I was able to get a five-month payment plan so it's very workable for me. I get it paid off and put it behind me.

When I first contacted Community, I was being garnished by the IRS and they stopped that immediately. I was able to stop living with my mom. I have three more payments to make and I'm very satisfied with the way they handled my case. I am financially much better and I am very thankful that they were able to handle it and get it resolved. The impact they've had on my life has been nothing but good and I've recommended them to several people.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I heard lot of Latino people have used Community Tax and that they had a good experience with them so I tried it. The enrollment process was mainly a lot of waiting getting response from the IRS but everything was good. They based my payment plan on what I make, what I owed, what are my bills, what are the payments that I have and how much I have left to pay them and then we moved to where there was not very much left to pay. We took the settlement to them twice and during the first time, they kept going and then they redid it all over again and adjusted everything. Then, they finally got it all taken care of.

The cost of the service was not cheap but it was not so expensive for what I own. I did save a lot of money. Everybody who helped me were really good about answering all my questions and every time I got a letter about getting the program extended. I would call them and they're always there for me. I have completed the program and Community Tax helped me a lot. I didn't have to be stressing around a lot like I used to. I would tell a friend to just go ahead and hire them. However, you must be patient because it takes a while but it does get taken care of.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Community Tax was supposed to be helping me with the IRS. They were supposed to put me into a non-collectible. They didn't even do that according to the IRS when I spoke with them. It was horrible. There's no good about them when it comes to dealing with the IRS because they acted as a middleman for something I could have gone straight, directly to the IRS and did it myself. They charged me $500 to fill out some damn papers for an Offer in Compromise. I went and did it myself for less than $30 because all I had to do was print out the papers.

Nobody needs to use Community Tax. They took $2400 to $2500 from me to do something that I could have did. And then, they just left without even telling me. Had I known any better, I would have never gone with them. But at the time I did it, I was young and was only around 22 years old. They bamboozled me. I paid them for nothing. This is legal robbery. They make a lot of money off the ignorance of people. And if anybody ever asked me if they should go through Community Tax to deal with a settlement for the IRS, I would say no! They should not! If they choose to do it anyhow, then that's just pure stupidity! People would be much smarter and wiser to deal with the IRS directly! Fill out the papers yourself! Do not allow these people to bamboozle you! This needs to be put on billboards and commercials that these people are thieves! I'll never work with Community Tax again.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had tax penalties for my paid taxes in 2007. Community Tax was the one that we saw on TV. We called them and it was good for us. They got all my information, how much the debt was and then they went ahead and got power of attorney. They started speaking for us with the IRS and then instead of the IRS dealing with us, it was Community Tax and they were able to bring the debt down from close to $80,000 down to $859. So now, we're in the process of paying that off in payments after the IRS agreed to it. The only thing was we were with three or four people so we always had to repeat the information. Other than that, they did a great job in helping us reduce that debt with IRS. I give them thumbs up for that. Go with Community Tax because they would help you reduce your tax debt.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I hired Community Tax to do something for me, and they did a very good job. It was painstaking to start because it was a slow operation. They were limited and it was nothing that they can speed on. They get a heavy caseload with all the customers, but they did what I needed them to do. The agent I dealt with stayed in touch. And for what I asked them to do, the cost was not a problem. I'm very satisfied with Community Tax.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Community Tax provided me with a tax relief program. The enrolment process was good but I was scared at the beginning because if this thing wouldn't go through, I would have to keep paying and have to finance the amount of money. But they did everything and guaranteed to make it well. One thing I noticed was they change people a lot. When I called, I talked to one person then when I called later, it wasn't the same case manager and I wanna always talk to one person. But it was not a big deal. They have all the information there even if I talk to another person. The cost was okay. I thought I was going to spend less but it was worth it at the end. We finished the program, and although it was a poor start and it took a little while, it worked and I'm very happy.

Original review: April 16, 2018

My experience with Community Tax was a bit of a bumpy road but the end result was good. At first, I called them up and I was encouraged. I liked the language and the conversation that I was hearing and it made me feel like I was going in the right direction. So, when I hired them after we got the information that they requested, I was getting a lot of different people that I felt weren’t really aware of my case. They'd again ask me for the same information that I already sent them. So, I was starting to get really discouraged. That went on for a little while and I was getting upset. I was getting frustrated 'cause it just seemed that every time we got close to closing the issue, all of a sudden, they needed some revised edition of the bank statements. I wasn’t very impressed.

I paid $4,000 and they gave me 200 bucks back 'cause I was so disenchanted. I told them that they're creating more stress for me than the IRS. The process was a bit stressful but we've finally got one of the lawyers that was pretty much on his game. He listened to my venting for a few minutes. But at the end of it all, it took two years and I was happy and satisfied with the results. Even though we went through some rough waters, I'd still recommend Community Tax to other people that were in my situation. It worked out well and I was grateful for that.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Community Tax has done a good job for me. I owed a tax bill of $35,000 plus when I was overseas contracting and just got into a situation where I could not pay the taxes. I called Community Tax and found out they had a program that would reduce my tax debt to an amount that I could afford. Someone called me back and they asked me a bunch of information. I gave Eric all the information that he needed and he did what had to be done. Their original compromise was zero, but we couldn't accomplish that because I made some income. The compromise was settled with the IRS where instead of paying $35,000, all I have to pay is $1,500. Altogether, I paid $5,800 versus $35,000. It took a while but they handled everything I needed taking care of. I would recommend Community Tax if you're in the same situation.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Community Tax got my IRS settled for a little bit of nothing. I had to give my information of my income and my bills and then they put me on this program and they sent it to the IRS. They worked with how much I could afford to pay. At first, I figured it was kind of high. It took away a lot of my income but at the end, it was worth it. If I had a problem, I would call them and they would solve it. I've completed program. The IRS composed a letter and I have two more payments with Community Tax. Overall, I am satisfied. It was a big relief. I've already told a couple of people they should call and go with Community Tax.

Original review: April 12, 2018

In 2013 I hired Community Tax after I had a bad experience with a previous tax relief company. Community Tax made all the promises that all these type companies do and delivered on nothing. During the past 5 years my assigned attorney led me to believe that everything was going to be fine and that they were working out some sort of offer and compromise or payment plan... (For legal reason I will not provide names.) Any time I called them they would tell me that these things take time and they were always reassuring that they were working hard to get me some type of resolution. I was finally contacted a few months ago about a possible offer and compromise through an email and voicemail that I responded to but never got anything in writing. I was willing to take this offer but never heard back.

Then about a month ago I was notified that I had been assigned a new attorney to handle my case. (Come to find out the other attorney got fired.) The first time that I hear from the new attorney on the phone he tells me that I need to meet with the IRS agent face to face. I met with the agent (which I now realize was a mistake although I was told to do so) and answered his questions.

A few days later the attorney calls me back giving me bad news. He tells me that the IRS is demanding that I sell my house and give them the money or they will seize it. The IRS is going after me for the full amount of money owed and refuse to negotiate on penalties or a payment plan. They will not talk about any alternatives other than put me and my two sons on the street penniless. I am 64 years old with no pension, IRA, or savings. I don't own a boat, vacation home or anything of value I could sell other than my home. (Everyone tells you this can't happen, beware, believe me it can!)

I was told by the IRS Tax Advocate group (whom I called) that the reason the IRS will no longer negotiate is that I have gone way past that window of opportunity so now it is too late. So in the past 5 years Community Tax has let this sit idle and not done much or anything to help me. I have never received a phone call recommending that I take an offer from the IRS or that there were some options on the table that were available. Worst thing is I was never called and told that any window of opportunity to settle was going to run out. Community Tax has not done one single thing to help me.

Now I have to list and sell my house and the IRS takes all the money and if the selling does not bring enough to satisfy the debt they will garnish my check for the remainder. Other than my money, I put all my faith in Community Tax and took their advice only to find out they did nothing. I could have got a better deal than this by negotiating it myself. The IRS is angry because as far as they are concerned for over 5 years I did nothing, as far as they are concerned I spit in their face because I did not respond. I thought Community Tax was taking care of this and had my back. The only thing they did for my back was to bend me over and let the IRS stick it to me. Do not hire this company! Call your local Tax Advocate Group, they answer to Congress and do not work for the IRS. It's too late for me, I hope this helps you.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I owed $35,000 of taxes and that was only before they filed my back taxes for six years. Once they filed those, it ended up being $71,000. So I sought the help of Community Tax. The enrolment process was easy. At first, I thought it was a misunderstanding because I didn't know that it's $700 just to get started with the program and then add another fee. I had pay to them over $7000 to do my taxes. But the misunderstanding wasn't their fault. It was another person who was answering the phone. But that person was no longer there. Connie, the lady who did my tax, was good as well as the lady who was over my case. But the guy, Lawrence was not so good at answering the phone calls and calling me back. I used to call this other guy's line and he used to help me more than Lawrence.

They worked with me in the beginning and they let me pay $250 for a couple of months and then I paid a little more than that. I ended up paying up $425 a month until I was done. They gave me time but then they also advised me that they want to be quick before they start going into my wages. I paid the down payment already, which was two-something for before and then the rest of $230 and by August 15th I'm done with the program. They did the service excellently. The payment was based on the income and they know how to do stuff where they know how much you can write off of something. They really help the people and I've been giving people of their number already. I will refer anybody who doesn't have any dependents and who makes good money to go through them to get their taxes done. They would advise too on how to do the taxes the following years, so you won't be in the same predicament again.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I'm satisfied with Community Tax. I got their service that dealt with tax and they were a little slow. And every Tom, Dick, and Harry I know of was calling me but nobody knows anything. My cousin got over to one person, we stuck with him and he got us in the right ballpark. That was the only time we got some stuff taken care of. The cost was okay. As long as I got Uncle Sam off of my back. I went on and paid them off right away. The only thing was they were messing around by talking to Uncle Sam and getting me squared away. It took them a little over two years to do that little stuff. But they did it and the program worked out so far. I ended up having to pay $1,092. And that all wiped it out.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I am so very well-pleased with Community Tax. They gave me a consultation and set me up on a payment plan. I never had any trouble with that. They took their money out when they were supposed to take it out. They handled the IRS for me. They accepted my offer and compromise. They sent me a letter, paid it and it was over. Tyler was the one who took care of me. He was a very awesome guy. They kept in contact with me. I never really had to call unless I had a question myself and I would get somebody immediately. It took about 10 months and it was done. Community Tax has got to be the best company and I'm telling everybody about it.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I was behind in some of my taxes a few years, so I needed some professional assistance. Community Tax is a good company to work with and they were helpful and easygoing so I have no regrets going with them. They filed my taxes from 2010 up to the date and they deal with the IRS. I had to get all my paperwork and everything that was required to come up to pay all my taxes to the date. All I did was get all my paperwork and they did the rest. So far, the program is working well and they provide good help. They assist me when needed. The person that I was talking to always answered back my phone calls when I had some questions about it. I felt good working with her and I have no doubt recommending her again. I had a bad experience before and some of the other companies or people call you back when it was too late.

I haven’t heard from Community Tax lately but I know they’re going to file this past year’s taxes that way I can get current with all my tax yields. The payment plan was easy and flexible. They let me know what my options were so it works out for me fine. The cost was a little high, but any other person probably will charge me more or less and I was pleased with the service anyway. It worked fine and gave me some mental relief. I will recommend any service from Community Tax. I send them back any letter from IRS and they respond right away. I was satisfied. I would tell my friends to give them a call and let them deal with the IRS. They know what needs to be done.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had a lien from the IRS and I decided to call Community Tax. I spoke to many people there and everybody was fine. I had a good interaction with them and the customer support that I received was good. Community Tax resolved the problem that I had and everything was paid. I already got a friend who called them a couple of weeks ago.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I have been hounded by the IRS for years and one call to Community Tax stopped the collection calls. The process took about 9 months, because I was making payments, but I haven't received a letter from the IRS since. My balance was around $40k and now I'm currently in a Non Collectible Agreement where I don't have to make any payments. Community Tax has been wonderful at processing my paperwork in a timely manner. I would definitely recommend to any.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was in hell with no money and I needed to be free of it. I went to Optima prior and I needed to put down a higher down payment before they do anything. The initial payment with Community Tax was cheaper, and I got their OIC service, the Offer in Compromise. Community Tax also does tax debt relief, tax preparation, and account and bookkeeping services, but I have mine.

The enrollment process for the OIC was fast and easy. I talked to somebody during the process and my agent did what he was supposed to do. He gave me an advice that I felt good about, and I went with it. He gave me what I needed to do and he would let me know anytime that I needed to get something. The cost of Community Tax's service was a little high, but I was trying to get out of debt, so I was willing to do whatever I can. The case is closed now, and my experience was good. So, if you're looking for tax debt relief, filing taxes, offer in compromise, or a fresh start initiative, I'd recommend Community Tax.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I was getting my accounts held. So, I thought that I should better fix that. So, I called Community Tax. I talked to this one gentleman. He was pretty helpful and they figured that they could probably help me. Then I got to another person. They ended up sending in an OIC, Offer in Compromise. My biggest thing with Community Tax was I got bounced around quite a bit. Nobody really got back to me as quick as I would have expected.

I started the process three years ago and the first time, I went through three project managers. I'm self-employed. I'm a contractor. I have special issues. So, they needed some more information. I'd send information, but then that person won't be there anymore. It seemed like I didn't always get followed up on and then I don't do confrontation very well so I wasn't following up on anything. I was like, "I'm sure they're doing it." And still a year goes by and I was like, "I probably should be contacting them." That was when the IRS was like, "We're going to freeze your accounts." I said I needed to do something.

So, then, when they did that, the next response was instead of going with OIC, they were just gonna do a "can't afford to pay it." I don't know what that one was called. So, they went ahead and did that, which ended up causing me to have a tax lien, which then caused me not to be able to do some of the business things that I was trying to do.

So, my first OIC I filed, they requested additional information, we didn't hit the deadline. And so that got canceled and then I had to do it all over again. Right now, those OIC are taking forever. They finally submitted it in February of last year and we just got it done. I've completed everything 'cause I finally got the tax guys. The OIC was done and I made my final payment. The only thing is I asked the tax adjuster person, I got my acceptance of my OIC, but I was like, "Do I get a letter to send to the taxing people?" And they said, "We don't give you anything like that."

I'm not a confrontation person and I really like emails, and whenever I would email them, they would always call me. For me, I sometimes had difficulties understanding over the phone what they were trying to tell me. And so, I was, "I'm sending you an email because I want that something back so that when I'm telling my significant other what's going on, I could say, "Oh, this is exactly how they said it." Community Tax did help me, but it was a really long process. It all ended up great, but it was a rocky road. The hard part was I didn't know anybody local at the time, but afterwards, I found somebody who was local and that in-person thing is really amazing versus doing something online that you really don't have that inner connection with.

Community Tax expert review by Andrew Poulos

Community Tax is a company focused on tax relief staffed by tax attorneys and bankers. The company focuses on a two step process to resolve tax issues.

• Nominal fees: Community Tax touts their fee policy for tax relief customers. The company first analyzes the customer's debt situation, then comes up with a tailored plan and fee suited to the situation, so clients needn't pay a large upfront fee for services. The fee is refundable if Community Tax can't help the customer.

• Online learning center: The Community Tax website offers a learning center where customers and potential customers can visit to learn about tax relief, debt and more.

• All flat rates: In addition to no fee upfront, Community Tax charges only flat rates for work and never tacks on additional fees for extra services.

• Convenience: Community Tax provides tax and IRS help to people who live all over the country, so the service is convenient to use no matter where a customer lives.

• Online presence: With Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages, Community Tax has an extensive and helpful online web and social media presence.

• Best for: Individuals with garnished wages, individuals with a federal tax lien or levy and innocent spouses.

Profile picture of Andrew Poulos
Andrew Poulos

Tax Relief Contributing Editor

Andrew G. Poulos, EA, ABA, ATP, is principal of Poulos Accounting & Consulting, Inc. in Atlanta, GA where he works with individual and business tax clients and represents clients before the IRS and state labor agencies. A self-made entrepreneur and real estate investor, Andrew is an author, national speaker and nationally syndicated tax software expert.

Community Tax questions and answers

What problem is Community Tax trying to solve?
Community Tax works everyday to solve our clients’ tax problems – plain and simple. We offer solutions for common problems like tax debts, unfiled returns, audits, liens, garnishments, payroll taxes, accounting and bookkeeping issues.

Community Tax is already attempting to capture client feedback on a real-time basis. We want a steady stream of positive feedback in our online and media presence, but we also want to capture potential issues that one or more clients experience in order to help ensure future clients can avoid those same experiences. We are always open, evaluating and modifying processes to suit our client’s needs. Client feedback – good or bad – is the strongest tool we have to point us in the right direction. Every company has problems, it’s how you address those problems that sets you apart from your competition.
What sets Community Tax apart from the competition?
In regards to solving tax problems, Community Tax has a two-phase approach to addressing our client’s tax liability. Many tax companies initially offer a proposed one-time flat fee to resolve a client’s tax problem after just one phone call with the client, and often request thousands of dollars in return. Each taxpayer's situation is unique and we complete an investigation to determine the scope of their tax problem in regard to balances, filing requirements, audits, etc. We also perform a financial analysis to predetermine what government programs the client may be eligible for. This service is offered at a small investment to our clients, usually around $400-$500.

We’re aware much of our competition has adopted the two-phase approach as well, however we have seen and heard they can often charge double what we ask – for the same “stated” investigation service. We’ll often go beyond the operational cost we incur to perform our investigation service and we do this to deliver the best possible recommendation for our clients on every case, regardless if they choose to move forward with retaining CTAX to achieve that solution.

We maintain in-house technology and processes allowing us to complete a thorough investigation and analysis within days when many of competitors take weeks to perform the same service. This is an added value to any client who is trying to avoid collection activity with the IRS, as time is typically of the essence. When the investigation is complete we present the client with any tax returns that must be filed, which government program he is eligible for and exactly what it will cost the customer (in fees) if they choose to have Community Tax handle their resolution strategy. The client has the option to move forward with our tax preparation services and negotiation, or not.

Finally, we feel Community Tax is one of the few, (possibly only) tax relief companies maintaining an internal compliance department to proactively monitor our teams for quality assurance. We feel it’s essential to ensure consistency and accuracy with the tax services we offer clients as we primarily conduct business with customers from all across the country by phone, email and fax, rather than face-to-face.
What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
In addition to the speed and cost of our investigation service, we also have tailored investigation services addressing specific IRS collection actions, such as active garnishments and audit situations. However, we really feel the most significant and beneficial edge our company delivers to our clients, is the on-going annual tax assistance service(s) after we are done negotiating and establishing their final resolution. We want to ensure our clients complete the resolution program we established in full so they never get into a similar situation in the future – and we want to handle all of their income tax needs for the rest of their lives.
How does Community Tax measure success?
We evaluate the number of resolutions we achieve for our clients, as well as the savings we may have been able to obtain on each case. However, only until a resolution is achieved and we receive notification of a positive client experience behind the service we delivered, can we ultimately acknowledge it as a “successful case.”

We are always trying to become more efficient in our process. During the resolution phase of our tax relief program, there is a need for a significant amount of interaction between our office and the client in the course of preparing taxes and negotiating a resolution. Unfortunately, it’s not always convenient for the client to speak to us when we would like to update or request something specifically regarding their file. In retaining feedback from our clients about this specific phase of our service, we were able to address their concerns and their feedback was the ultimate driving factor in implementing our current SMS client communication system, which is now available and utilized on every case we service. Our clients now receive updates on everything from the status of their case to payment reminders.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the tax relief industry?
The settlement programs available from taxing authorities are eligibility-based using the most current financial data. Without properly evaluating, analyzing (or investigating) into the taxpayers individual situation, no honest tax advisor could confirm a solution to one’s tax problem. Unfortunately, a settlement of tax debt is advertised by many as a one-size-fits-all solution. For the record, there are a multitude of ways one could reduce an actual tax liability, but it depends specifically on the individual circumstances of the tax debt and the taxpayer. Our investigation uncovers and evaluates every option an individual may have at resolving their debt in order to educate the clients on all of their resolution options.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Competition in the tax relief industry has grown tremendously. States have become far more aggressive in their collection efforts and unfortunately, depending on the state, there are typically fewer resolutions options available to clients when compared to the IRS. On the reverse, the IRS has put forth initiatives to allow for lien removals and relaxed some of their program qualifications in an effort to promote taxpayer compliance and resolution.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Community Tax?
CTAX has a variety of tax solution services to handle any type of income tax need an individual or business may have. Yes, we solve tax problems. Our team has been in the business of solving tax problems for so long we know how to solve tax problems before they start. We also offer tax preparation, accounting and bookkeeping services to customers who have never experienced a tax problem, they hire us in order to keep it that way!
Has Community Tax received any awards or recognition for its services your customers would like to know about?
We were selected for 2014 Illinois Excellence by USIATC (US Institute for Advancement of Trade and Commerce). Many of our practitioners have individual awards and acknowledgements as well.
How has Community Tax grown or evolved?
Our organization was founded as a tax company specializing in the resolution of tax problems, and led by in-house tax attorneys, Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and IRS enrolled agents. Since the beginning of 2010, CTAX has been a “winning” full-service tax services company dedicated to assisting taxpayers nationwide with all of their income tax needs.

Community Tax headquarters are located in Chicago, IL with several enrollment centers and partnerships throughout the country. We currently service nearly 10,000 clients nationwide. Directed by over 25 full-time licensed tax practitioners, we are currently staffed with an estimated 135 full-time employees – and we’re growing. Over the years, CTAX has evolved into much more than just a leading nationwide tax resolution and negotiation company; we have grown into a premier tax prevention service provider as well. Through the growth of our company, we’ve been able to evolve immensely through the advancement, investment, and utilization of technology to help benefit our clients’ experience from a convenience standpoint.

Community Tax Company Information