Call toll free
4.48/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Community Tax, we strive to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years we have assisted tens of thousands of taxpayers in dealing with the IRS and/or State Taxing Authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns, to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Our office is staffed with dedicated licensed tax professionals that will work with you to customize a tax strategy for both the present and the future. We look forward to working with you for all your tax needs.

Illinois CPA Society
Non-CPA Asosciate Member of AICPA
Illinois Chamber of Commerce
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

438 Community Tax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Community Tax's program took forever to do. It took them over a year and a half to settle my tax bill for six grand. Their people were nice and pleasant, but slow.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Community Tax suck. I understand IRS and State are two different things. But I gave Community Tax all that money to work on both of them. One of their reps was good. He made sure IRS stop bugging me. He told me he was gonna do it and he did. The IRS did not send me more letters of the levy. However, I thought Community Tax was taking care of both of them at the same time but I had to fax some information for the attorney to work on my state now. I found out that all that Community Tax did was the Offer in Compromise, but I don’t get any income tax. I was looking at my email and it says that they sent the IRS Offer in Compromise and my case is resolved. But it's not resolved to me because according to him, they are still gonna take my taxes. I pay some $300 some and I don't even know how long they will have to take my taxes.

The other rep sucked. When I texted the rep with something, he waited nearly a week or two before he got in touch with me. He ought to give me an apology. I was on pins and needles telling him to try and tell me something. The rep should be telling me that he’s gonna get in touch with the State and that he’s gonna stop this and work on Offer in Compromise. But he wasn’t talking at all. And then when I do tell him, he just shrugged it off because he knows I need Community Tax’s help.

He told me, "At least, we did get you your Offer in Compromise." However, they got their $5,000 something and I'm still paying, which I think that I don't have to. Now, the state is still requiring me to pay $206 every week. I gave Community Tax the money as they asked thousands of dollars and then the state kicked in. Based on all the records Community Tax sent me, that state should stop that, just like they stopped the IRS from messing with me. It's been over a year now. I gave Community Tax over $2,000 some for that. I could have gotten something else with that.

When I think about all the money I just spent, I should have gone by myself and made a damn deal with the IRS. It would have been no more expenses. It's going on $10,000 already before I get an Offer in Compromise and it didn’t even get anything with the state yet. They said to make sure I have to pay that. That's not representing me. I signed so many attorney forms to represent me. They said I have a lawyer on my case soon as they told me I had to pay $206. I was told that the rep was gonna email me something to give them power of attorney to work on my state. I signed and gave Community Tax authorization. I want them to help me with everything. But now, they tell me I have to sign, which I did. I went to the library and I got it out of my email and I emailed it. He then gave it back to me and told me that he got it.

I already saw that he worked out the offer and demand, taking me through hell to get it and I have no choice. But now he's starting on the State. They should have another attorney working on that while they're working on the IRS, but they didn’t. Instead of being a lawyer and do his due diligence and try to fight for me, not to have me pay more money and say that we have to do that and that would be to prevent them from levying me.

Also, I am being told about the compliance of the condition of my agreement and that it is critical that I remain compliant with tax filing and tax payment in the future to ensure our resolution does not default. My resolution should not default. I pay my money and I shouldn't worry about it now. I'm dealing with being in default and agreement is to be what it is. Community Tax needs to pay a set amount of money and I should not have to deal with them anymore. I pay my taxes. I agreed like I supposed to do. I should be whole like a regular citizen. If I pay it late, I pay a late payment, and should not be in default as that’s not helping me.

I would not recommend Community Tax. They seem like they're all about money. I knew it was not gonna be free but after they get their money, they're still supposed to do their due diligence and help me out of it without me going nuts. I'm 63 years old and I'm tired of busting overtime just to keep this thing straightened out. All of this should be stopped like they did the first, so I can go on with my life and stop having to work overtime. I'm very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We had a tax problem that came at us out of the blue. We tried to deal directly with IRS but ran into a stone wall. We contacted Community Tax which via emails and phone calls helped us resolve the problem quite satisfactorily saving us about $6000.00 in tax liability. They walked us through every step of the way, were courteous, professional and a pleasure to deal with under difficult circumstances.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I had called a couple of other places before going with Community Tax, but as I had heard them on the radio I called their rep, Ryan, and talked to him for quite some time on the phone. I asked him how long it was till I had to pay because they were asking for quite a bit of money upfront. The enrollment went smoothly. Ryan worked with me almost the entire time, except when I had correspondence through the mail. Community Tax let me know that they wanted my signature, so they had to mail me some stuff to get it. Once I got handed over to the person that processed the tax part, though, I didn’t talk to Ryan as much but I had his number so whenever I needed something, I called him and left a message and someone would call me back.

Everything worked out and I was happy with the results. While the cost of the program was a little high, with all the stuff involved, it wasn’t bad at five grand total. I worked extra hard and took a few extra jobs, and I paid that off in seven months. Everybody that I talked to said that they were still waiting to hear back from the IRS and they were waiting to have somebody assigned to my case. The settlement of my case with the IRS took a long time because of how many years I was behind with my payments, but Ryan was very amazing and did very well, and Community Tax was great and I don't know anything that they could have done better.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Everything was good with Community Tax, so they're the tops. In the beginning, I didn’t know much about the company, but the person that I worked with did well. The enrollment process was great. The price was expensive but the good thing was they gave a payment plan and that has helped me with the cost. Community Tax has been doing great and I'm so happy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I needed help with an offer and compromise. Community Tax was able to do it for me and also delay any type of withdrawings from the account from the IRS. They made me feel good when I spoke with them on the phone. The enrollment process was smooth as well. However, it would have been beneficial if there was a little more communication when my case would be transferred to different people. But my offer was accepted in the spring so, everything has been good.

Community Tax response

Hi Nicole! We are so glad we could help , and we appreciate the feedback! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us for your future tax needs!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

In 2009, I had a big problem with IRS and they accumulated a big amount of money that I owed since that year, so I didn’t know what to do. I listened to this radio station and the guy recommended Community Tax, and then I gave them a call. In the beginning, I didn’t trust Community Tax because there are some people that just steal your money and don't do anything. But everything went well in my case and they helped me a lot. I'm finally through with IRS.

Everybody from Community Tax who answered my calls is very friendly. Then there’s a special person that has always been happy to help me out and her name is Elizabeth. If I was in person with her, I really give her the thanks because I appreciate what she’s done to me. I will let everyone who's having problems with the IRS that Community Tax is the best and they can help.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Jaime! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution. We will pass your kind words along to Elisabel she really is one of the best! Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I don’t trust too many companies and there’s a lot of scams out there. However, I’ll recommend anybody to go to Community Tax. I was drowning in debt and so I enrolled in their tax debt relief program. They do my filing and will also continue to file for me going forward. The payment plan they set up was good and they let the individual choose what he or she wants to pay. It makes it lighter and easier for us. Working with Community Tax has a very good impact in my life so far. It put me on a straight and narrow path now so that I can look forward to not making the same mistakes. They opened my eyes to that. I've also been trying to send them other people who are in debt.

Community Tax response

Hey Adrian! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! Should you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

We had an accountant do an Offer in Compromise for us, but it did not go through and the IRS sent it back, which put us further behind. So, I contacted a tax company because I was tired of the matter and I thought that I'd leave it to professionals. At first, we thought that Community Tax was expensive, but they were cheaper than the company that we wanted to go with. The enrollment was straightforward and easy. The agents that we worked with were excellent. Nick was the first agent that we worked, then we worked with a couple of different people after him. Nick was really good at explaining everything and giving us a lot of details. He also kept us up-to-date with what was going on because sometimes we didn't hear from them for a week and we wondered what was happening, but they were still working.

Community Tax got my case in February and it was settled in August, and that was great. The payment plan that they gave us worked well for us, and they were flexible with it. Then, after the case was closed and settled, I worked with the agent, Tyler, and he summed everything up. He also called to make sure that I understood everything. On the whole, Community Tax was good to me.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Community Tax did a good job. When I called, I talked to different people and they were good and very nice. The process was neither hard nor easy, but it was a little long and it took more than a year to get everything done. Community Tax made the cost fair and good for me though. I'm okay with them and I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My initial contact person with Community Tax was very helpful as far as the information and the timing on what needed to happen. He was also very helpful in walking me through various steps and he kept in contact with me throughout the process. Trying to call Community Tax office's main line was challenging. It was like nobody was ever available. I’d leave messages and they wouldn’t call me back. So, I would have to call my initial contact person, and he would always get right back to me, send me an email, and make sure to get in touch with them.

My payment plan was very flexible. I’ve been in-between jobs throughout this process, and the timing and the payments worked out. They were giving me until January for the last payment but I paid it last week. The cost of the program was comparable to the situation overall. I have talked to different family members and friends about how comfortable I was with the process. I was very grateful that I was able to match myself up with some organizations that really helped me through this process. I referred people to Community Tax.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Linda! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution! Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I was having IRS problems for years and I fell into some lawyers that just took my money and did nothing. Community Tax contacted me by email. I took advantage of them and everything worked out perfectly. The enrollment didn’t take long at all. I had a brief over-the-phone consultation and we set up arrangements of payment. They worked with me all the way down the line and so far, everything is looking up. They helped come to a tax resolution and had gotten me off of compromise and I was very pleased with that. Now, I’m just waiting to hear back from the IRS.

The cost was beautiful for the work they’ve done. They were really efficient with everything and didn’t forget about me. They followed through and kept me up to speed with everything. If I had any questions, they made it easy for me. When I was in Chicago, it was like I was right there close to the office and everything was at my convenience. If I needed something, they got back to me within 24 hours. It made me feel like I was the number 1 client. I was 100% comfortable working with them. I would tell friends to look no further and go to Community Tax. I’m satisfied and couldn’t ask for anything better. I would highly recommend them.

Community Tax response

Hey Olin! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! Should you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I wanted to try to get my credit together and I’m trying to get back in standing with IRA so that I can file my taxes and if anything is due to me, receive that. I got into Community Tax and they said they needed $1800 to get everything started, then I had to pay $250 to file the tax for one year. I paid the money to get things done and now I am in limbo. The communication has been very poor, so I don’t know if their service works or not. I faxed them things which cost me $10 to $15 just to fax everything. I did that over several times and now I don’t really know what came of it. I’m still in the dark and I don't know where I stand as far as the taxes go.

Other than that, I got my taxes done for free last year and sent them in. But that was because I didn't make over that amount to be charged. So I’m finding out things, but not through Community Tax. I spoke to several of their reps and they told me that they are still looking into this and waiting on this paperwork. They also said they'd be in touch with me. When I called them, I was on hold for a good amount of time then I went to an answering machine. The money needs to be paid after you get someone but now, their reps are saying that they gotta dish it over with their senior representative and call me. But I don’t know when they’ll call back and I wish this was taken care of.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Initially, I called Community Tax but didn't get an answer. Thereafter, somebody from there called me back and I had a discussion with them. Their reps were very nice to understand what I was presented with in my case. They offered to help me resolve the situation and provided consultation services for me. Working with them has given me a little more peace of mind and I could understand and relate better to what I was going on. They taught me what my rights were and what they could do for me. I definitely recommend Community Tax. It's a good firm to do business with.

Community Tax response

Hi Van! We are so glad we could help , and we appreciate the positive feedback! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us for your future tax needs!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I was stressed and I didn’t know what to do. Then I heard about Community Tax on the radio so I decided to call them. At first, the service sounded too good to be true. But since I’m done, I can say it was all true. So I’m glad I called them. They were also all good people to me. If there was something I didn’t understand, they explained it to me and made me feel good. I was also okay with the cost. They made the arrangement for the payment and I paid monthly. People having the same problem I had should call Community Tax. The company is gonna help them solve their problem and they don't have to worry about anything.

Community Tax response
"Thank you for the kind words, Anthony! We're glad we could help. We'll hope you'll give us a call again again come Tax time!

"

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

A while back, I owed some back taxes and Community Tax gave me a call and that's why I just went with them when I decided to get out of a tax problem. The enrollment was easy and the rep lets me know what I need to do and when I need to make my payments. They got it down to about $1,200 and I just started paying IRS that bit of money from a $16,000 overpayment. Knowing that I can get straightened out with the IRS is a lot of pressure off right there.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Mack! We're glad we could help. We'll hope you'll give us a call again again come Tax time!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Community Tax had the least complaints or they seem to address their complaints over other companies. I was going by things that I had read in the Better Business Bureau. The reports that Community Tax prepared when I was trying to find the people that actually had gone through the process with them didn’t sound fake or hyped people themselves. They had the best feedback.

The enrollment was easy. I called them and they said they would fix my problem and they ran through the specifics. Then, they said they could work with that and I paid them. I was paying them every month for a while and during those months, I called them and they were like, "Yeah, yeah, sure." But as soon as I made the last payment, they were less easy to get on the phone. There didn’t seem to be a structured way to talk about my case, if I wanted to. I went into this fairly cynically and I sort of expected that.

I had to come up with all this documentation, income projections, a lot of paperwork, old documents, and a lot of stuff that needs to be sorted out. Their communication was fairly poor. If I had a question, I would call them and no one would answer. There would be no one around and I couldn't get a call back. Also, they would ask me for documents and I would send them but two weeks later, they would say they need to those documents. I would say I have sent those documents and they would say that they do have the documents. That happened about five times. So, every time I would send a document, I would ask if they have gotten it and they would send me a thing where they say that they got the documents. They also provided something that had a document submit function. I tried it but they all go to a black hole.

At one point, I had to do a lot of paperwork where I had just come up with these income projections for a year ahead. It was a complicated, time-consuming thing and I just hadn’t heard from them in a while. They said they needed it and I said I was working on it. Then, I got a letter in the mail one day that said they canceled my case. There was no warning for that which said they would throw me out of the program at such and such a date. They said they haven't heard from me. I said I was in the middle of doing that and that I had been trying to get a hold of them. Then, they said they need another $500 to restart.

They could make sure that when people send documents, they get their documents and that they don’t extort people for money. But my issue was resolved. It took forever which was partly my fault, partly the IRS and partly their fault. It was fine that it took forever, though. If everything's on hold for two years, it basically means you got all that extra time to start to get your life straight. Also, the resolution was great, so it's all worth it. It was quite surprising to me because they put me in basically the best possible scenario where I got most of it written off. There's not a ton of further requirements. In my case, instead of owing some giant amount of money, I owed a tenth of that or not even and I saved $40,000 in the end.

Once this is done, I'm finished with the IRS. I have to pay my taxes in time but once it's paid, even if I make $2 million next year, then it doesn’t matter. It's like a bankruptcy type program where it's just finalized. When we were researching this, everyone in the world said that that's a very hard thing to even get into and that most people don’t qualify. One of the other companies I contacted also said I probably didn't qualify but Community Tax said I qualified. I was like, "Okay. If you say so. You're the experts."

Community Tax response
Hi Andrew! We are so glad we could help , and we appreciate the feedback! It certainly helps us improve.

If you have any questions or concerns you want to address with us, you can contact our customer care department at 773-577-2938.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I was thinking to see another way to solve my tax problem but I was so busy at work. I decided to call Community Tax because I heard their phone number. They gave it on the broadcast so I just called right away. They made an appointment about a day later. The person who helped me the first time was so nice. I was happy to do the steps in trying to fix my problem. I signed up for their tax relief program. They talked to an IRS representative and they went over my income that I don’t make that much money yearly. I’m supposed to get the tax back instead of paying but I was not reporting my tax every year. My income was less than what I’m supposed to get every year and I have four kids.

I've worked with the whole team at Community Tax and every time I called, they knew what they were doing. Also, they knew who was calling right away with my number and they went right away to the computer. They would tell me they would let me know as soon as they get something from the IRS and sometimes, when they needed something like a proof of income five years ago, they would send me three notices, one by text, one by email and one by mail. So there wasn’t a way to miss it. They were making sure that I received notices of what they needed, every paperwork that they needed from me or any receipts from me.

I was surprised by how they work and I like it. However, the only thing I don't like is that they took a long time to fix my problem. It took almost three years. I knew they were busy and they were working on my case but every time they call me, they say it was gonna take time and I should just be patient. Also, the reason my case took a little bit longer was because I don’t even have internet at home. And every time I have to do the paperwork, I have to go somewhere and do a fax. It would take me three or four days to send just a little page because I have to download it from my email then I have to sign it and then I have to fax it back.

I was kind of tight in my payment but sometimes, they let me pay two weeks later from the day that I was supposed to pay it. They were always flexible on my payments. I just called and asked for the extension. They said what they needed was to let them know because the payment was an electronic one so they needed to stop the payment. They really worked with me and they did a good job because they solved my problem.

Community Tax response

Hey Horacio! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! and thank you for the feedback, it always helps us do a better job! Should you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

The IRS was asking me to pay them almost $10,000 and I decided to call Community Tax. Community Tax is an easy company or corporation to grow with because even when you don’t call them, they reach out to you. First time that I spoke to Community Tax, Larry was the recruiting person that told me how much I have to pay Community Tax. Also, they told me that anytime IRS sends me a letter, send it to them and tell them what is at the top of the letter. I was pleased with that because it tells them why they have to fight more for me. And I like that they kept on fighting and they kept on informing me that I'm gonna hear from them soon. The IRS had originally refused to give me the break and then they took it back.

Before the Offer in Compromise, it was about $10,000 and it seemed like there was no way they were gonna give me the Offer in Compromise. They told me that I have to pay $400 within about five months. So, I owe them $300 more and then I pay them sometime this month and be done with them. But I'm not off the hook with them, as yet. I have to keep on filing my taxes for five years and they said that they're gonna take something off of it. They charged me about a little over $2,000 but I had no choice. I had to do what I had to do and the IRS doesn't let go of you unless somebody advocated for you. Community Tax reps were good people and I'm glad I took them. They saved me a lot of money and I'm glad. If I had to pay what I had to pay to get what I had to get then, I will do it again. I will recommend anyone that was going through the same thing I went through to Community Tax.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

A friend of mine who thought he was gonna be using Community Tax said their process was pretty good. I went on their site and looked and they have been in business for years, which was a plus, and I heard they got a lot of resolutions. I called them and found out they're a legitimate company. Everything from start to finish was touchable and somebody was always visible or virtually visible. Also, they were very consumer-friendly. They were more or less concerned about getting the issue resolved and I liked that about them. I'm done with the program and it lasted for two or three months which was not that long. Now, I don’t have to worry or be concerned about my tax issue. Community Tax did what they said they were gonna do and after they got stuff resolved, they still called to offer me additional services which I thought was nice. It was overall a great experience.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Daniel is the attorney from Community Tax and to me, he was remarkable. He is the one that sold me with his professionalism, integrity, know-how, and patience. The enrollment was very simple and every time I asked them certain questions, they were able to answer my them. They were able to do what I asked them to do at one point or another. They seemed to be very realistic about the information that I had given of what they can and cannot do. They seemed to be very positive in what their ability was to be able to find a remedy to my problem.

Daniel communicated with me and was always there when I needed him to answer a question when I was in doubt in reference to something. He was always available and if not, he would make himself available. He would go above and beyond his way to make things happen. He made sure all my i's were dotted and all the t's were crossed. I went with this on my shoulders for like three years and he was able to resolve it finally. Also, the cost was feasible. Community Tax resolved my issue and they lifted a great weight off my shoulders. I would refer them and recommend them to anybody and everybody. They're wonderful.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I was having some problems with the IRS for not paying taxes and I heard that Community Tax could help problems with the IRS. The agents at Community Tax were good. They have the experience and they call me. They work well on payments too. If they tell me that I have to put money on this date, then I have to put my own responsibility on that date and I have to pay. I've had a great experience with Community Tax. Now that they just finished my case, I had to put my own responsibilities, so that way, everything can get done well.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Delfino! We're glad we could help. We'll hope you'll give us a call again again come Tax time!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I had a really good experience with Community Tax. It was the first company I dealt with and they did a really good job. Whatever is going on with the IRS, they let me know right away or sometimes I call them. But sometimes it was my fault because I went to Mexico a couple of times and they were asking me for some more information and I didn’t give them that information right away so the process took a bit longer. So far, I paid $4,000 which was a bit high. I didn’t have that amount on my pocket at that moment so I did about four payments. I was tight financially, I didn’t work and I had to borrow money from a couple of friends but somehow I fixed it. Their payment plan helped me a lot. Their reps are professionals and they do their job in trying to do the best they can to help people. As far as I know, I finished the program. I just have to pay whatever the amount I have to do with IRS. It’s not that much so I’m sure I can handle it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Somebody referred Community Tax to me and the company was pretty good. I was impressed just by having somebody to understand my needs. The enrollment process was pretty good and they got me started on the program, which I completed. I’m still paying off the bill although I'm almost done with it.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have completed the program at Community Tax. Community Tax's representative was excellent. Our communication was great and the feedback was good. The payment plan was setup up like it was supposed to. I've skipped a couple of payments but they were nice enough to roll it over. It's nothing something major but I want to make sure that on the last issue that I have sent the $40 off but I couldn't get back with them. Nevertheless, our experience with Community Tax was great. I’m trying to get my sister and all the people to try them out because they can’t go wrong.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Community Tax offered me a payment plan and they were willing to set it up on payments so I didn’t have to come up with one lump sum. They were also cheaper than anybody else I talked to and the other companies wanted all the money upfront for their services. I was thoroughly pleased with their enrollment process and everything went well with the reps. I got to them what they asked for and they were right there on top of things. I’ve completed the program and I’ve got my settlement now. A week ago the rep called me and said he was mailing everything out for me. My credit is still showing up with IRS, but he said that should come off once we've got everything settled. I’d recommend Community Tax to anybody that has my problems.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Community Tax was the first and only company I ever tried. I was leery about the enrollment process and had some issues from the beginning but it has been a couple of years ago. I have dealt with multiple people and the service has been good. However, if you call, it may take three days before someone gets back to you. I’m still working with them and cost-wise, it was okay for the service they provided.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I lost my job and I was in an accident, and I went with Community Tax to get their help in resolving my tax problem with the IRS. Their program was good and I am now at ease because they made it good. Also, the cost of their service was good and I liked it. The rep, Lisette, was honest and she was the one that called me all the time in the beginning. Then I worked with the lawyer, Jose, who was very patient and he always called me too. I have already finished the program, but I’m waiting for the IRS to send me some papers. I've recommended Community Tax to a couple of friends.

Original review: July 25, 2018

There was someone who had the same problem with his income tax and he mentioned Community Tax. I looked up the company online and made $5600 or $5700 in payments back. That's where my relationship with the company started. When I had questions, I called their reps and whoever answered helped me. Also, they were pretty flexible when it came to the payment plan. I told them that I was going through a divorce and would make an early retirement. When I retired from the Union Ironworker, I was looking at $3,000 a month or a better pension, but since I made the early retirement, I was penalized by that. That’s where I’m at and took another third of it. So I ended up with maybe 35% or 40%.

I have to budget every month and they were lenient with me. They had a 10-month plan and they’re making a fund of $70 payment a month. They helped me and it was not like they wanted the whole payment at one time. Also, they got the IRS off my back. I don’t know if it costs less but it might furnish my way and compare it to how much they wanted it. At that time, I was making good money. In fact, $56,000 to $60,000 a year at the time. There was no more stress after that. I recommend Community Tax. Others should call them up.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I wanted to get my taxes in order and straighten out. I sent Community Tax copies of my W-2 and my social, so they could go and research everything as far as my back taxes. The agent I was working with kept me informed through email or phone call. It would be better though that he would have touch-based with me more often because a lot of times, I would be impatient just to see how things were going.

The agent came up with an amount and they said that that was the only amount I could deal with. I thought it was gonna be a one year plan of $250 to get things straightened out with my federal taxes, but it is a two-year deal. It started in 2017 and I still got another year of payments. I discussed that with them but they said that was the agreement although there was no written down of agreement sent forth, and it was more verbal than anything.

Other than that, it is a good service. Community Tax consolidated all of my taxes and got them up to date. It is a good way of getting your taxes done, getting caught up, and getting yourself back in balance with the Federal Government. Also, there were times when I wasn’t able to make it on the 15th of every month, but they worked with me as far as my payments and I appreciated that.

Community Tax expert review by Andrew Poulos

Community Tax is a company focused on tax relief staffed by tax attorneys and bankers. The company focuses on a two step process to resolve tax issues.

• Nominal fees: Community Tax touts their fee policy for tax relief customers. The company first analyzes the customer's debt situation, then comes up with a tailored plan and fee suited to the situation, so clients needn't pay a large upfront fee for services. The fee is refundable if Community Tax can't help the customer.

• Online learning center: The Community Tax website offers a learning center where customers and potential customers can visit to learn about tax relief, debt and more.

• All flat rates: In addition to no fee upfront, Community Tax charges only flat rates for work and never tacks on additional fees for extra services.

• Convenience: Community Tax provides tax and IRS help to people who live all over the country, so the service is convenient to use no matter where a customer lives.

• Online presence: With Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages, Community Tax has an extensive and helpful online web and social media presence.

• Best for: Individuals with garnished wages, individuals with a federal tax lien or levy and innocent spouses.

Profile picture of Andrew Poulos
Andrew Poulos Tax Relief Contributing Editor

Andrew G. Poulos, EA, ABA, ATP, is principal of Poulos Accounting & Consulting, Inc. in Atlanta, GA where he works with individual and business tax clients and represents clients before the IRS and state labor agencies. A self-made entrepreneur and real estate investor, Andrew is an author, national speaker and nationally syndicated tax software expert.

Community Tax questions and answers

What problem is Community Tax trying to solve?
Community Tax works everyday to solve our clients’ tax problems – plain and simple. We offer solutions for common problems like tax debts, unfiled returns, audits, liens, garnishments, payroll taxes, accounting and bookkeeping issues.

Community Tax is already attempting to capture client feedback on a real-time basis. We want a steady stream of positive feedback in our online and media presence, but we also want to capture potential issues that one or more clients experience in order to help ensure future clients can avoid those same experiences. We are always open, evaluating and modifying processes to suit our client’s needs. Client feedback – good or bad – is the strongest tool we have to point us in the right direction. Every company has problems, it’s how you address those problems that sets you apart from your competition.
What sets Community Tax apart from the competition?
In regards to solving tax problems, Community Tax has a two-phase approach to addressing our client’s tax liability. Many tax companies initially offer a proposed one-time flat fee to resolve a client’s tax problem after just one phone call with the client, and often request thousands of dollars in return. Each taxpayer's situation is unique and we complete an investigation to determine the scope of their tax problem in regard to balances, filing requirements, audits, etc. We also perform a financial analysis to predetermine what government programs the client may be eligible for. This service is offered at a small investment to our clients, usually around $400-$500.

We’re aware much of our competition has adopted the two-phase approach as well, however we have seen and heard they can often charge double what we ask – for the same “stated” investigation service. We’ll often go beyond the operational cost we incur to perform our investigation service and we do this to deliver the best possible recommendation for our clients on every case, regardless if they choose to move forward with retaining CTAX to achieve that solution.

We maintain in-house technology and processes allowing us to complete a thorough investigation and analysis within days when many of competitors take weeks to perform the same service. This is an added value to any client who is trying to avoid collection activity with the IRS, as time is typically of the essence. When the investigation is complete we present the client with any tax returns that must be filed, which government program he is eligible for and exactly what it will cost the customer (in fees) if they choose to have Community Tax handle their resolution strategy. The client has the option to move forward with our tax preparation services and negotiation, or not.

Finally, we feel Community Tax is one of the few, (possibly only) tax relief companies maintaining an internal compliance department to proactively monitor our teams for quality assurance. We feel it’s essential to ensure consistency and accuracy with the tax services we offer clients as we primarily conduct business with customers from all across the country by phone, email and fax, rather than face-to-face.
What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
In addition to the speed and cost of our investigation service, we also have tailored investigation services addressing specific IRS collection actions, such as active garnishments and audit situations. However, we really feel the most significant and beneficial edge our company delivers to our clients, is the on-going annual tax assistance service(s) after we are done negotiating and establishing their final resolution. We want to ensure our clients complete the resolution program we established in full so they never get into a similar situation in the future – and we want to handle all of their income tax needs for the rest of their lives.
How does Community Tax measure success?
We evaluate the number of resolutions we achieve for our clients, as well as the savings we may have been able to obtain on each case. However, only until a resolution is achieved and we receive notification of a positive client experience behind the service we delivered, can we ultimately acknowledge it as a “successful case.”

We are always trying to become more efficient in our process. During the resolution phase of our tax relief program, there is a need for a significant amount of interaction between our office and the client in the course of preparing taxes and negotiating a resolution. Unfortunately, it’s not always convenient for the client to speak to us when we would like to update or request something specifically regarding their file. In retaining feedback from our clients about this specific phase of our service, we were able to address their concerns and their feedback was the ultimate driving factor in implementing our current SMS client communication system, which is now available and utilized on every case we service. Our clients now receive updates on everything from the status of their case to payment reminders.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the tax relief industry?
The settlement programs available from taxing authorities are eligibility-based using the most current financial data. Without properly evaluating, analyzing (or investigating) into the taxpayers individual situation, no honest tax advisor could confirm a solution to one’s tax problem. Unfortunately, a settlement of tax debt is advertised by many as a one-size-fits-all solution. For the record, there are a multitude of ways one could reduce an actual tax liability, but it depends specifically on the individual circumstances of the tax debt and the taxpayer. Our investigation uncovers and evaluates every option an individual may have at resolving their debt in order to educate the clients on all of their resolution options.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Competition in the tax relief industry has grown tremendously. States have become far more aggressive in their collection efforts and unfortunately, depending on the state, there are typically fewer resolutions options available to clients when compared to the IRS. On the reverse, the IRS has put forth initiatives to allow for lien removals and relaxed some of their program qualifications in an effort to promote taxpayer compliance and resolution.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Community Tax?
CTAX has a variety of tax solution services to handle any type of income tax need an individual or business may have. Yes, we solve tax problems. Our team has been in the business of solving tax problems for so long we know how to solve tax problems before they start. We also offer tax preparation, accounting and bookkeeping services to customers who have never experienced a tax problem, they hire us in order to keep it that way!
Has Community Tax received any awards or recognition for its services your customers would like to know about?
We were selected for 2014 Illinois Excellence by USIATC (US Institute for Advancement of Trade and Commerce). Many of our practitioners have individual awards and acknowledgements as well.
How has Community Tax grown or evolved?
Our organization was founded as a tax company specializing in the resolution of tax problems, and led by in-house tax attorneys, Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and IRS enrolled agents. Since the beginning of 2010, CTAX has been a “winning” full-service tax services company dedicated to assisting taxpayers nationwide with all of their income tax needs.

Community Tax headquarters are located in Chicago, IL with several enrollment centers and partnerships throughout the country. We currently service nearly 10,000 clients nationwide. Directed by over 25 full-time licensed tax practitioners, we are currently staffed with an estimated 135 full-time employees – and we’re growing. Over the years, CTAX has evolved into much more than just a leading nationwide tax resolution and negotiation company; we have grown into a premier tax prevention service provider as well. Through the growth of our company, we’ve been able to evolve immensely through the advancement, investment, and utilization of technology to help benefit our clients’ experience from a convenience standpoint.

Community Tax Company Information