2. Tax Relief
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.42/5

At Community Tax, we strive to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years we have assisted tens of thousands of taxpayers in dealing with the IRS and/or State Taxing Authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns, to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Our office is staffed with dedicated licensed tax professionals that will work with you to customize a tax strategy for both the present and the future. We look forward to working with you for all your tax needs.

Illinois CPA Society
Non-CPA Asosciate Member of AICPA
Illinois Chamber of Commerce
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Community tax is a full-service tax company providing a wide spectrum of services, from tax prep to tax relief for individuals with $10,000 or more in tax debt. They staff enrolled agents licensed by the U.S. Department of Treasury.

PROS

• Available in all 50 states
  • Impressive staff credentials
  • Free consultation

CONS

• Pricing not available online
Community Tax Learn More

About Community Tax

Community Tax, LLC (CTAX) is a full-service tax company that provides affordable tax services to individuals and businesses nationwide. Founded in 2010 and serving all 50 states, it is one of the leading providers of tax preparation, tax resolution, bookkeeping and accounting services.

Filing taxes and resolving tax issues can be complicated for most of us. CTAX takes pride in its staff of knowledgeable and licensed tax attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents. Enrolled agents are tax advisors licensed by the Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax issues.

Community Tax services

The IRS is bent on collecting all taxes due to the government. Non-payment of taxes, underpayment of taxes, late payment, misrepresentation and other violations of tax laws are reasons the IRS can come after you. Fortunately, CTAX provides a broad spectrum of tax services to protect yourself from the IRS' wrath. The services include the following:

Tax Preparation

All the tax preparers at CTAX are licensed with a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). If you use CTAX's services, you will be assigned a dedicated tax preparer. You will then submit a limited power of attorney to authorize the tax preparer to access your tax records at the IRS. After completing your return, the tax preparer sends it to a group of reviewers composed of seasoned CPAs. The return will be sent to you for your review and signature. Upon receipt of your signed return, CTAX will immediately file your return at the IRS.

CTAX tax preparers are diligent and accurate in identifying regular and special sources of income. They continue to educate themselves with new IRS policies and laws to determine which expenses are eligible for deductions such as:

• Higher education expenses
  • Student loan interest
  • Medical expenses
  • Mortgage interest
  • Real estate taxes
  • Charitable contributions
  • Gambling losses
Tax Resolution

The resolution process starts with an investigation and may last from one week to one year. The CTAX investigative team analyzes your financials and IRS records. The team sends you its findings and offers the following potential solutions:

• Offers in Compromise (OIC): Taxpayers who are at the verge of financial hardship can qualify. Financial hardship means having more expenses than income. The IRS determines the maximum amount taxpayers are financially capable of paying without causing hardship. The remainder of the tax debt is forgiven.
  • Installment Agreement (IA): This method allows taxpayers to pay their tax debt balance over a period ranging from six months to 10 years.
  • Stair Step Agreement: This solution grants taxpayers the option to pay off a large expense, such as a car, with larger installments while paying smaller installments on the tax debt. After full payment of the large expense, they can then switch the entire payment to the tax balance within the next 48-60 months.
  • Streamline Installment Agreement:This tax relief is eligible for taxpayers with substantial income or assets. The actual balance must not be more than $50,000 and be payable within 60-72 months.
  • Partial Pay Installment Agreement (PPIA): Taxpayers under financial hardship are eligible for PPIA. Based on a taxpayer’s financial information, CTAX can negotiate for a hardship payment, which is less than the required monthly payment, for 10 years. The IRS has a 10-Year Statute of Limitations for the collection of past due tax debt. After 10 years, even if the taxpayer will not be able to pay the debt in full, the IRS will no longer be able to collect.
  • Conditional Expense Installment Agreement: The IRS may grant installment payments to a tax liability to allow a taxpayer to continue paying a long-term expense, such as a 401k program.
  • Traditional Installment Agreement: This arrangement allows a taxpayer to make monthly installment payments over a 10-year period based on the taxpayer’s current financial situation.
  • Currently Not Collectible Status: Taxpayers struggling with financial hardship may be completely relieved of their tax debt until such time that they are able to recover.
  • Penalty Abatement: Under this agreement, taxpayers may request for a decrease in penalties on back taxes, but they must show proof that they missed payments or made late payments for uncontrollable reasons
Accounting

CTAX offers accounting, personalized bookkeeping and payroll services for affordable flat-rate monthly fees. The services come in these three plans:

• Bronze: The services include monthly bookkeeping, 24/7 IRS correspondence monitoring, financial reporting and bank reconciliation for one bank account and one credit card account and analysis of estimated tax payment. The package costs $99/month.
  • Silver: The package includes all the services provided by the Bronze plan, plus financial reporting and bank reconciliation for two bank accounts and two credit card accounts. This package also includes unlimited tax planning by a CPA. The plan costs $199/month.
  • Gold: The plan provides all the services included in the Silver plan, plus payroll processing and a dedicated IRS tax attorney for a fixed monthly fee to be agreed upon by CTAX and the taxpayer.
Bookkeeping

Bookkeeping services include overseeing bank and credit card transactions, recording and adjusting journal entries, as well as preparing payroll returns, W-2’s and 1099 MISC forms. Clients are allowed to choose and seasonally adjust the services they use and only pay for the services they use.

Community Tax Assurance Program

The Community Tax Assurance Program (TAP) is designed as a prevention program to ensure that clients remain compliant and updated with tax policies to eliminate future tax problems. TAP offers the following programs:

• Access Assurance: Services include tax account monitoring, IRS alerts, helpful tax information and updates and exclusive access to TaxPal, a mobile app with 24-hour tax monitoring and alerts. The program is free.
  • Executive Assurance: The program includes all Access Assurance services plus priority servicing, direct access to tax practitioners and a dedicated case advocate. It also includes a free annual personal income tax return, free garnishment investigation, free tax-related ID theft repair and a 20 percent discount on future resolution services. The program costs $34.99/month.
  • Enterprise Access: The program includes all Executive Access services plus customized services, a designated accounting team, a free business income tax return and individualized tax planning by a highly skilled CPA. The program costs $99.99/month.

How does Community Tax work?

Community Tax services clients who need help with tax preparation or seek tax debt relief. Being a trusted tax company, CTAX strives to give the best service to clients who have back taxes, liens on their bank accounts, garnished wages or are being audited. The CTAX process consists of three main steps.

1. Information Gathering
    Experienced tax professionals will gather your financial information from you to make a tax analysis of your case, which, in turn, will help them work out the best solution to your problem. The information may include past tax returns, bank and credit card accounts, and other financial records, depending on the complexity of your tax issue.
  2. Investigation
    The investigation process involves getting access to your IRS records. You will need to provide authorization to your assigned CTAX investigator to file IRS Form 8821 or the appropriate form for the state taxing authority on your behalf to obtain a complete record of your account.
  3. Resolution
    Once the investigator completes their work, you will be presented with resolution options to consider. They have been discussed above.

Community Tax FAQ

How much does Community Tax cost?
Pricing varies and depends on the complexity of the case. Consultation is free, but the company website does not provide direct pricing information on tax debt relief. However, according to some review sites, Community Tax charges clients the following fees:
  • Initial fee of $500 to $750
  • Flat fee of $2,500 and $4,500
  • $275 for W-2 returns
  • $525 for Forms 1099 and 1040
  • $1,000 for business tax returns
Does Community Tax offer any type of guarantee?
Community Tax allows a full or partial refund for services not rendered; however, you need to discuss this with a customer satisfaction representative, as reimbursements are on a case-by-case basis.

Do we recommend Community Tax?

Community Tax is a trusted tax company employing experienced tax professionals specializing in tax issues and serving clients all over the United States. Numbers don’t lie, and with more than $600 million tax debts resolved, we recommend CTAX for taxpayers with complicated tax returns, back taxes or potential issues that may invite an audit.

Community Tax Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 1, 2020

Community Tax worked with me. I’m on fixed income. I’m on disability because I have to have a kidney transplant, and they told me the fee was $3,500. I told them I couldn’t afford that. So, they broke it down to 24 payments of $176.41 with the company. That was how I chose them. They asked me for my information, I provided the information to them, and then after that, they did an offer in compromise. The offer in compromise took like three to four months. And then within that time, they told me I had to pay what I owed in my taxes, which was $598.

I went to one of these little loan places like cash advance and got the little loan for them and mailed it off. Then they told me they got it because I mailed it certified mail. And then I received something else from the IRS. Every time I receive something from the IRS, I let them know. And the last time I got a letter, I owed $32 and some change. So, I sent that money order off too, and they got that.

I got a call from Maurine and she told me she got great news. I owe $14,000 and something to the IRS and she said they got it down to $1,200 and something. They wanted me to pay like $233. I told her I can’t pay it until next month because I’m on a fixed income. I get paid once a month. I’m on disability. She said to let her get back with that person from the IRS. She did and she got back with me like the very next day and said, “I got great news. This is what I need you to do. Send me three of your check stubs and a letter from the disability people.” I did that and the wonderful news is she called me and told me, “Guess how much you have to pay now? $256.” So, all I had to do was pay $34. Since I paid the $34, now all I have to pay is $204 by May 30th.

At first, I had Natalie, and she was really nice to me. She kept in contact with me because she was leaving the company. She let me know that she was leaving, and then my examiner will be somebody else. I appreciated that because a lot of people leave the company and don’t care to let the people that they’re working with know who’s gonna be the next person. I had Abraham after that. He was good. He kept in contact, but he never let me know he was leaving. So, when I called to speak to him to find out what was going on, he was no longer there. Then I got James and he was very monotone. I love Maurine because every time I call and tell her I had a question, she would call me. Her voicemail would say she would call me the next 24 hours, but she always call me the same day, and I like that.

I had no complaints with James because he worked with me as well, but it was not like Maurine. She is a pleasure to work with. I went in to pay a bill to my little loan place, and the lady asked me for the name of the company that I work with, and I told her. She was like, “Did you speak to anybody specific?” I referred her to Maurine. It’s been a great experience working with them. I will refer them to anybody that has any tax problem. Working with Community Tax has taken a load off my mind. I can sleep good at night not worried about the IRS trying to share my check or taking my car. The only thing I had to do is file my taxes for the next five years on time or else my offer in compromise would no longer work.

Community Tax response

Thank you so much for such thorough feedback, and for recommending us to others looking for our services! We are so glad to hear that the outcome of your case brought you relief. Since these situations can cause so much stress, your peace of mind is always our ultimate goal. We're also happy to hear that your team kept you up to date with the details of the case. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any future tax needs.

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I was faced with an aging and complicated income tax problem with the IRS. I decided that I needed help and made a list of companies to contact based upon advertisements. I contacted Community Tax first. I was surprised at first contact by the comfort that I felt talking with Paul. This was very important to me. I immediately entered into a contract with Community Tax and never looked back. Christopher ** was assigned as my Case Advocate. He quickly took the weight off my shoulders as he followed the activity and progress of his several specialist. He explained the sequence of actions and the expected time each would take.

In addition a bi-weekly appointment was established for us to discuss progress on my case. However; there were many times that he would contact me in between because he did not want to wait based upon of the importance of a particular topic. All questions or inquiries by me were answered/handled immediately and many times a follow up to be sure that I was comfortable. Christopher set the tone for professionalism and it was magnified by his co-workers. Noteworthy is the first co-worker that I had to work very closely with, Yolanda **. Her expertise in tax preparation was superior and she never hesitated to cover everything thoroughly, regardless of the time or effort required. All done in a most atmosphere. Early on in the process I felt very comfortable that an acceptable resolution with would be reached. I was correct. A very difficult task accomplished in a stress-less process.

Community Tax response

Thank you so much for this response. We are so thrilled to hear that Paul helped you feel at ease, and that Christopher and Yolanda continued to give you peace of mind. We strive to make the process stress-free for our clients, no matter the circumstances, and we're so happy to hear that we could help you all the way through to your resolution. Please let us know if we can ever help you in the future!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Community Tax did a great job for me. I had a problem with back taxes and the IRS was saying that I owed $10,000. I knew that something was wrong. Community Tax had to reach out to the IRS several times and they worked with me and made sure that they have to do whatever they could to make it so I didn’t have to be worried about the IRS putting a lien on my house. I was financially in hardship and the IRS pretty much agreed to a way lower amount than the $10,000. They definitely got me out of a lot tax debt.

I paid Community Tax $500 at the beginning for them to represent me, and then they told me how much my payment was gonna be and divided it by so many months. I wound up paying $125 a month and once that’s paid, I'm all done. My last payment is in May. I paid close to $4,000 for all the services from Community Tax. Over the past year and a half, I feel that the cost was a little high but it's not too bad. I don’t really know what it’s like to have to deal with the IRS all the time like they did for me and what extent they have to go through to get the offer in compromise. And the Community Tax agents are awesome. I set up automatic payments where they just take the payment out of my checking account but there were a few months when I couldn’t afford the minimum $125, and they gave me an extra week or two if I needed it. They worked with me a lot and I really appreciated it.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Eric! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution. We will pass your kind words along to the team on your case. Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I looked at different companies, and I decided to go with Community Tax considering their reviews. I was impressed. They really worked with me. The latest agent was really good, but I wasn't impressed with the first couple that I had. I didn't like them. They weren't receptive to me. They told me that my case was gonna be hard. I'm like, "What is gonna be hard? I don't have anything. I live off my retirement to survive."

The latest agent, Tracy, was really receptive. She let me know of everything. When I needed stuff done, I sent it to her, and she sent it to the IRS. She was listening to me and she would do what I ask her. She would also call me back and answer my emails. The first two that I dealt with there, I didn't even hear from them for days. I would send them what I got from the IRS and ask what I needed to do but I did not get a word. Tracy and who she was working with were very good.

It took a few years to get through all this. It took them three times to send something in, but they were persistent on it. And the last time, they were really more up to taking care of it than the first two. They worked on the payment plan with me, and that worked out really well when I first did it. In the end, the compromise did go through.

Community Tax response

Dear Deborah, Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We are happy to hear that you were impressed with the agent that really worked with you. Your comments help us to get better, so we thank you again for taking the time to post your review! Thanks again and we hope you feel free to reach out to us come tax time!

Original review: July 30, 2019

I started with Community Tax a couple of years ago, when I was desperate to try to figure out what to do to get myself together with my taxes. My husband had passed away and I was kinda nuts for a few years. And I heard a commercial on the radio on my way home about Community Tax, and I called and my first contact was with a man named Bruce. Things just progressed, and he helped me. He was kind. There was a sweet lady who helped me get signed up and really watched my thing and let me know if there’s anything going on. They’re all wonderful people that were involved in my case. They walked me through everything. The only thing that I had that could possibly be considered negative is I had believed that it would take care of both my federal and my state tax issue, and, as it ended up, it was just my federal.

I asked Bruce 20 times that it would take care of my state and federal. But we’ve worked through that and I’m currently handling my state with my congressmen, getting it all done, but they definitely relieved all my fears. They held my hand and got me through each phase and kept me updated as it went on. I couldn’t be any more happy.

Also, the payment plan they set out for me worked in my budget. I’m on a fixed income, so I just couldn’t afford to pay my bills and pay a big thing, which was the one thing that kept me from trying to take care of it sooner than I did. I was scared. And they definitely held my hand and walked me through it. I have already recommended Community Tax to friends.

Community Tax response

Hello Lydia! It's truly wonderful to hear about your experience with our team. We are glad to hear we were able to help you out at a particularly difficult time. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! Also, we sincerely apologize for any confusion regarding state services-PLEASE do reach out to us if you still help with state representation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: June 26, 2020

I am so grateful for Community Tax. I would always wonder and would be on edge about my check since I had direct deposit that the IRS would take my money and then I would not have any money for my bills. I did nothing for 2 years and always receiving letters. Had no peace of mind. Every years I had no return. But debt did not go down. I called community tax and now If I get a return it goes toward the debt. Very happy with community tax. I don’t worry about my account. Very happy.

Community Tax response

Hey Tony! We're so thrilled that we could help you achieve the peace of mind you deserve. Please don't hesitate to contact us in the future for any tax needs! Have a great day.

Original review: June 14, 2020

I owed taxes for 2017 and 2018, so I was going to pay around over 20 grand in total. I can’t afford paying everything all at once, so my uncle recommended me with Community Tax. He owed over about 60 grand but they helped him out. So he told me about them, and I went to them. I first talked to Nick. From him, I went to Barry, and from Barry I went to Mary Lou. They answered all my questions whenever I needed them. They were very helpful and nice. They did their jobs the way they were supposed to be, even better than what I expected. Unfortunately, they couldn’t help me out with all the things, but I was able to do a payment. Nonetheless, customer service, was amazing. It was the whole nine yards. They did all the work so it was easy on me. Comparing to the customer service, it was pricey but I was able to get some help after all. I highly recommend them to anyone who’s trying to go in with them.

Community Tax response

Hi Luis, we are so thrilled that you had an excellent experience with our team. We always go the extra mile when it comes to giving our clients the help they deserve and it's very rewarding to hear feedback like this. Have a great day!

Original review: June 13, 2020

Community Tax helped me reduce my payments down to 500 bucks. The enrollment to their tax service program has been pretty easy. It’s kinda hard to get ahold of the rep over the phone. But still I would recommend them whenever somebody asks me about it.

Community Tax response

Hi Randy! We're thrilled that we were able to give you the help you deserve and that you felt strongly enough about our service that you would recommend us to a friend! Have a great day and don't hesitate to reach out in the future should the need arise!

Original review: June 10, 2020

After getting off to a slow start my 4 years of tax documents were given to Elizabeth **. In less than a week my taxes were completed and I am still blown away by the results. My conversation with her was encouraging and professional. I look forward to working with Community Tax for my 2020 returns. Thank you Elizabeth.

Community Tax response

Hi Thomas! We appreciate the positive feedback. We're so thrilled that you had an excellent experience with our team! We think Elizabeth is fantastic as well; we'll be sure to pass your praise on to her.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I have dealt with Community Tax for a few years and they have helped me to better understand what is required for a proper IRS relationship while advocating for me to resolve several years of tax issues. Daniel ** was very informative, supportive and clear with a solution. I am grateful that I chose Community Tax!

Community Tax response

Hey Teresa, thank you for your feedback! We're so glad that we could help you resolve your issues with the IRS. We think Daniel is great too! We'll pass your compliments on to him. Have a great day!

Community Tax Company Information