2. Tax Relief
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.42/5

At Community Tax, we strive to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years we have assisted tens of thousands of taxpayers in dealing with the IRS and/or State Taxing Authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns, to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Our office is staffed with dedicated licensed tax professionals that will work with you to customize a tax strategy for both the present and the future. We look forward to working with you for all your tax needs.

Illinois CPA Society
Non-CPA Asosciate Member of AICPA
Illinois Chamber of Commerce

BOTTOM LINE

Community tax is a full-service tax company providing a wide spectrum of services, from tax prep to tax relief for individuals with $10,000 or more in tax debt. They staff enrolled agents licensed by the U.S. Department of Treasury.

PROS

• Available in all 50 states
  • Impressive staff credentials
  • Free consultation

CONS

• Pricing not available online
Community Tax Learn More

About Community Tax

Community Tax, LLC (CTAX) is a full-service tax company that provides affordable tax services to individuals and businesses nationwide. Founded in 2010 and serving all 50 states, it is one of the leading providers of tax preparation, tax resolution, bookkeeping and accounting services.

Filing taxes and resolving tax issues can be complicated for most of us. CTAX takes pride in its staff of knowledgeable and licensed tax attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents. Enrolled agents are tax advisors licensed by the Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax issues.

Community Tax services

The IRS is bent on collecting all taxes due to the government. Non-payment of taxes, underpayment of taxes, late payment, misrepresentation and other violations of tax laws are reasons the IRS can come after you. Fortunately, CTAX provides a broad spectrum of tax services to protect yourself from the IRS' wrath. The services include the following:

Tax Preparation

All the tax preparers at CTAX are licensed with a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). If you use CTAX's services, you will be assigned a dedicated tax preparer. You will then submit a limited power of attorney to authorize the tax preparer to access your tax records at the IRS. After completing your return, the tax preparer sends it to a group of reviewers composed of seasoned CPAs. The return will be sent to you for your review and signature. Upon receipt of your signed return, CTAX will immediately file your return at the IRS.

CTAX tax preparers are diligent and accurate in identifying regular and special sources of income. They continue to educate themselves with new IRS policies and laws to determine which expenses are eligible for deductions such as:

• Higher education expenses
  • Student loan interest
  • Medical expenses
  • Mortgage interest
  • Real estate taxes
  • Charitable contributions
  • Gambling losses
Tax Resolution

The resolution process starts with an investigation and may last from one week to one year. The CTAX investigative team analyzes your financials and IRS records. The team sends you its findings and offers the following potential solutions:

• Offers in Compromise (OIC): Taxpayers who are at the verge of financial hardship can qualify. Financial hardship means having more expenses than income. The IRS determines the maximum amount taxpayers are financially capable of paying without causing hardship. The remainder of the tax debt is forgiven.
  • Installment Agreement (IA): This method allows taxpayers to pay their tax debt balance over a period ranging from six months to 10 years.
  • Stair Step Agreement: This solution grants taxpayers the option to pay off a large expense, such as a car, with larger installments while paying smaller installments on the tax debt. After full payment of the large expense, they can then switch the entire payment to the tax balance within the next 48-60 months.
  • Streamline Installment Agreement:This tax relief is eligible for taxpayers with substantial income or assets. The actual balance must not be more than $50,000 and be payable within 60-72 months.
  • Partial Pay Installment Agreement (PPIA): Taxpayers under financial hardship are eligible for PPIA. Based on a taxpayer’s financial information, CTAX can negotiate for a hardship payment, which is less than the required monthly payment, for 10 years. The IRS has a 10-Year Statute of Limitations for the collection of past due tax debt. After 10 years, even if the taxpayer will not be able to pay the debt in full, the IRS will no longer be able to collect.
  • Conditional Expense Installment Agreement: The IRS may grant installment payments to a tax liability to allow a taxpayer to continue paying a long-term expense, such as a 401k program.
  • Traditional Installment Agreement: This arrangement allows a taxpayer to make monthly installment payments over a 10-year period based on the taxpayer’s current financial situation.
  • Currently Not Collectible Status: Taxpayers struggling with financial hardship may be completely relieved of their tax debt until such time that they are able to recover.
  • Penalty Abatement: Under this agreement, taxpayers may request for a decrease in penalties on back taxes, but they must show proof that they missed payments or made late payments for uncontrollable reasons
Accounting

CTAX offers accounting, personalized bookkeeping and payroll services for affordable flat-rate monthly fees. The services come in these three plans:

• Bronze: The services include monthly bookkeeping, 24/7 IRS correspondence monitoring, financial reporting and bank reconciliation for one bank account and one credit card account and analysis of estimated tax payment. The package costs $99/month.
  • Silver: The package includes all the services provided by the Bronze plan, plus financial reporting and bank reconciliation for two bank accounts and two credit card accounts. This package also includes unlimited tax planning by a CPA. The plan costs $199/month.
  • Gold: The plan provides all the services included in the Silver plan, plus payroll processing and a dedicated IRS tax attorney for a fixed monthly fee to be agreed upon by CTAX and the taxpayer.
Bookkeeping

Bookkeeping services include overseeing bank and credit card transactions, recording and adjusting journal entries, as well as preparing payroll returns, W-2’s and 1099 MISC forms. Clients are allowed to choose and seasonally adjust the services they use and only pay for the services they use.

Community Tax Assurance Program

The Community Tax Assurance Program (TAP) is designed as a prevention program to ensure that clients remain compliant and updated with tax policies to eliminate future tax problems. TAP offers the following programs:

• Access Assurance: Services include tax account monitoring, IRS alerts, helpful tax information and updates and exclusive access to TaxPal, a mobile app with 24-hour tax monitoring and alerts. The program is free.
  • Executive Assurance: The program includes all Access Assurance services plus priority servicing, direct access to tax practitioners and a dedicated case advocate. It also includes a free annual personal income tax return, free garnishment investigation, free tax-related ID theft repair and a 20 percent discount on future resolution services. The program costs $34.99/month.
  • Enterprise Access: The program includes all Executive Access services plus customized services, a designated accounting team, a free business income tax return and individualized tax planning by a highly skilled CPA. The program costs $99.99/month.

How does Community Tax work?

Community Tax services clients who need help with tax preparation or seek tax debt relief. Being a trusted tax company, CTAX strives to give the best service to clients who have back taxes, liens on their bank accounts, garnished wages or are being audited. The CTAX process consists of three main steps.

1. Information Gathering
    Experienced tax professionals will gather your financial information from you to make a tax analysis of your case, which, in turn, will help them work out the best solution to your problem. The information may include past tax returns, bank and credit card accounts, and other financial records, depending on the complexity of your tax issue.
  2. Investigation
    The investigation process involves getting access to your IRS records. You will need to provide authorization to your assigned CTAX investigator to file IRS Form 8821 or the appropriate form for the state taxing authority on your behalf to obtain a complete record of your account.
  3. Resolution
    Once the investigator completes their work, you will be presented with resolution options to consider. They have been discussed above.

Community Tax FAQ

How much does Community Tax cost?
Pricing varies and depends on the complexity of the case. Consultation is free, but the company website does not provide direct pricing information on tax debt relief. However, according to some review sites, Community Tax charges clients the following fees:
  • Initial fee of $500 to $750
  • Flat fee of $2,500 and $4,500
  • $275 for W-2 returns
  • $525 for Forms 1099 and 1040
  • $1,000 for business tax returns
Does Community Tax offer any type of guarantee?
Community Tax allows a full or partial refund for services not rendered; however, you need to discuss this with a customer satisfaction representative, as reimbursements are on a case-by-case basis.

Do we recommend Community Tax?

Community Tax is a trusted tax company employing experienced tax professionals specializing in tax issues and serving clients all over the United States. Numbers don’t lie, and with more than $600 million tax debts resolved, we recommend CTAX for taxpayers with complicated tax returns, back taxes or potential issues that may invite an audit.

Community Tax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I've been trying to search for the best tax company that could help me with my tax problem. Fortunately, I happened to watch a TV ad for Community Tax and I decided to choose them based on that. Before, I didn't know their company. I had a nice and great experience with them. They did everything. Everybody, like the person involved in my case, was very helpful. They were very patient in trying to communicate with me. When I was disapproved and my request was denied, they talked to me and discussed with me the possibilities then they submitted documents for me.

There was also the lawyer, Attorney Juan. The communication between us was really great. When the IRS declined my request, it was the effort of Attorney Juan that paved the way for the approval of my request offer. He did something really great there in trying to present my case. Their people's expertise and their experience helped me get the positive result that I wanted. Attorney Juan and Christopher did really great. Working with Community Tax has a great impact on the financial aspect of my life because I saved so much money. I couldn't really afford to pay the amount that was required of me to pay.

Community Tax response

Hey Jennifer, thanks for reaching out! We are so glad we could exceed your expectations as we worked on your case. Have a wonderful day!

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Feeling that it was right at the moment, I availed of Community Tax' services and it was a good decision. They got my tax situation strewn out and it didn't take them as long as I thought it was gonna take them. The guy that I was dealing with got me in and out. It didn’t take long for him to do what he had to do. He was there any time I called him and he was nice and respectable. I had no problems with my payment plan too. Anytime I was late on the payment, I contacted Daniel and he contacted the other party. We would get it taken care of.

Community Tax has impacted my life greatly. I had this tax problem hanging over my head for the past three years and Community Tax lifted a weight off my shoulders. Actually, I didn't know what to do and it scared me. But when I started talking with Daniel and tried to get the situation straight, he told me from the jump that everything was gonna be okay. I didn't have anything to worry about. Everything that he said, he stood on. I'm glad I got to work with him because he made me really comfortable in the situation.

Community Tax response

Hi Deartae, thank you for your feedback! We're thrilled we exceeded your expectations. Have a great day!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Optima's rep put me on hold and this and that, and it just took too long. It was 30 minutes. And I’ve talked to three different people, and they kept pushing me to somebody else. So, I just hung up and called the next one, which was Community Tax, and they were right away, just boom, boom, boom. I dealt with this one person. When I had questions, Community Tax likes to get several people that would analyze the case. And the one that always contacted me could never fully answer any of my questions. And then, somebody would always have to call me back with the info who immediately answers all the questions that I had. It was weird. I dealt with a person at the bottom of the rung.

They always wanted to make sure, I guess in that line of work, that the client is informed of what was going on. And you feel like you are important. They would have somebody call, like an attorney would have to call me back and be like, “No. This, this, this.” The account manager was probably the one that would call me back and would have all the information. But the person under him that would make all the phone calls to their clients, and just give a quick status report, could never answer any of the questions that I had. That would be the only thing.

Community Tax response

Hey Logan! Thank you for your feedback. We're so glad you felt valued and informed while working with our team. We pride ourselves on our client service so it's always great to hear feedback such as this! Have a great day.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I did my research online and on the computer finding out who might be the best for what I needed them for. Community Tax is pretty darn good. I’ve been very happy with them, as a matter of fact. They’ve been very personable. They have done a good job with everything that I had hired them for which was my taxes.

They’ve been on top of it. They call me. They keep me updated all the time. They’ve been very helpful. I have to give them credit. Tyler, the guy that actually does my taxes, has been doing it for a few years now with Community Tax. I talked to him for the longest time just the other day, just chatting.

The stress is back on now that I got an offer in compromise with the IRS. And I owe the IRS money, but not the 150,000 that I had originally owed them. It's maybe 12,000 now. But they want the money within five months. And I told Community Tax, it’s basically impossible at this point since we all lost our jobs. So, we're taking it one day at a time at this point and hoping the IRS is going to be a little lenient on that. But in general, they got me a huge deduction on what I owed to the IRS. The service could be cheaper. But you get what you pay for, and when it all comes down to when all these pay dues gets over with, then I can finally pay the IRS, be able to save me over $100,000.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the great feedback, Tommy! We are so glad you had a good experience, and that we were able to get you a great resolution. Tyler really is one of the best! Please don't hesitate to give us a call if there is anything we can help with in the future.

Original review: March 1, 2020

Community Tax worked with me. I’m on fixed income. I’m on disability because I have to have a kidney transplant, and they told me the fee was $3,500. I told them I couldn’t afford that. So, they broke it down to 24 payments of $176.41 with the company. That was how I chose them. They asked me for my information, I provided the information to them, and then after that, they did an offer in compromise. The offer in compromise took like three to four months. And then within that time, they told me I had to pay what I owed in my taxes, which was $598.

I went to one of these little loan places like cash advance and got the little loan for them and mailed it off. Then they told me they got it because I mailed it certified mail. And then I received something else from the IRS. Every time I receive something from the IRS, I let them know. And the last time I got a letter, I owed $32 and some change. So, I sent that money order off too, and they got that.

I got a call from Maurine and she told me she got great news. I owe $14,000 and something to the IRS and she said they got it down to $1,200 and something. They wanted me to pay like $233. I told her I can’t pay it until next month because I’m on a fixed income. I get paid once a month. I’m on disability. She said to let her get back with that person from the IRS. She did and she got back with me like the very next day and said, “I got great news. This is what I need you to do. Send me three of your check stubs and a letter from the disability people.” I did that and the wonderful news is she called me and told me, “Guess how much you have to pay now? $256.” So, all I had to do was pay $34. Since I paid the $34, now all I have to pay is $204 by May 30th.

At first, I had Natalie, and she was really nice to me. She kept in contact with me because she was leaving the company. She let me know that she was leaving, and then my examiner will be somebody else. I appreciated that because a lot of people leave the company and don’t care to let the people that they’re working with know who’s gonna be the next person. I had Abraham after that. He was good. He kept in contact, but he never let me know he was leaving. So, when I called to speak to him to find out what was going on, he was no longer there. Then I got James and he was very monotone. I love Maurine because every time I call and tell her I had a question, she would call me. Her voicemail would say she would call me the next 24 hours, but she always call me the same day, and I like that.

I had no complaints with James because he worked with me as well, but it was not like Maurine. She is a pleasure to work with. I went in to pay a bill to my little loan place, and the lady asked me for the name of the company that I work with, and I told her. She was like, “Did you speak to anybody specific?” I referred her to Maurine. It’s been a great experience working with them. I will refer them to anybody that has any tax problem. Working with Community Tax has taken a load off my mind. I can sleep good at night not worried about the IRS trying to share my check or taking my car. The only thing I had to do is file my taxes for the next five years on time or else my offer in compromise would no longer work.

Community Tax response

Thank you so much for such thorough feedback, and for recommending us to others looking for our services! We are so glad to hear that the outcome of your case brought you relief. Since these situations can cause so much stress, your peace of mind is always our ultimate goal. We're also happy to hear that your team kept you up to date with the details of the case. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any future tax needs.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Contacted this company Jan 2020 to help handle unfiled taxes and owed payment. It wasn't until May that I was contacted to complete a financial questionnaire. I did so. I followed up in June. Response - "working on it". I followed up in August. Response - "just got back from paternity leave, working on it." I followed up in September. Response - "Trying to get caught up. Working on it." In December I received a letter from the IRS that I have 1 month to pay or they will begin seizing my property. I emailed Community Tax right away. Response - NONE AT ALL via email. I received a phone call from somebody completely different to fill out another questionnaire. I already did this. I called back and left a message. It's been over a week. No response.

Yesterday I called community tax and was told my agent was on the phone with someone else and would call back. NEVER called back. Today I called Community Tax and was told my agent was on the phone with somebody else and would send me a new questionnaire and call in the next 20 minutes. Forget it. I have no more time to waste on this. I paid thousands for nothing. It has been almost a year.

Hello JP,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. We will make sure we reach out to you today to clear things up for you ASAP.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I had some issues with the IRS which Community Tax helped me with. They helped me get things put together and get caught up and try to move on. They’re very professional. They didn’t just take my money and not answer my calls. They did what they said they would do, and I would recommend them in a heartbeat. If you're in a similar situation, you would get the same set of professionalism that I received.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I owe so much to the IRS. It was going up instead of down. I did call another company and for what they wanted right up front, I could have just given that to the IRS. It was too much and I couldn't afford it. Community Tax was lax and more lenient where I can make payments. They called and kept me updated. I've been up under three of their reps at least and all of them have been very nice and informative to me. A lot of things have to go through the process but it didn’t drag out a whole year. They were reasonable and I'm glad that they did help me. They did the best they could for me. I'm on a payment plan but it wasn't so high where it would take me years to pay it. Also, it was an affordable amount and I should be finished paying them soon.

Community Tax response

Hi Brenda! Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so glad we exceeded your expectations en route to giving you the relief you deserve. We pride ourselves on our transparency with our clients so it's always great to hear praise in this department. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I called Community Tax and they explained to me the process and how they work. The second call was to ask me about my finances. Signing up was easy. They’re gonna help me to pay not too much. I wanted more flexibility because I pay 1,000 something per month right now which is too much. But they told me that if I want more flexibility, probably I have to pay a little more. I have to wait for what is gonna happen with my case. They told me that it takes four to six months that we’re gonna wait for the response from IRS.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

My experience was absolutely satisfactory, it helped me when I needed the most, I'm very grateful and feel very lucky to know about Community Tax. Thanks a lot. I do really appreciate your help. Very grateful indeed. You’re awesome.

Community Tax response

Hey Domingo! Thank you for the feedback! We are thrilled that you are highly satisfied with your experience. Please don't hesitate to reach out for any future tax needs!

Community Tax Company Information