toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have some tax problems because we had gotten some student loans our children had from the past. We took care of them where we wouldn't have to pay them back. We got the student loans discharged and then we ended up getting another thing that we still have to pay because it was considered income. We gotta pay $10,000 as taxes on the balances of the two student loans. Then we got a hold of Community Tax to see about working with us and getting it wiped out or knocking down a substantial amount and they were willing to work with us. They've always been pleasant and helpful in answering our questions.

Community Tax

Thank you, Paul! Feedback like this is always great to hear! We are glad we could help. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future!

Original review: May 5, 2017

I'm having tax problems and I had to have some kind of result so I sought for the service of Community Tax. They did a great job. Every time I called, they answer all the question I had and I've successfully finished my tax program.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to do my taxes and was looking for help, but I didn't know anybody to begin. I called Community Tax and they told me what I had to do and I did it. The last thing that I received was a letter from the IRS telling me all I had to do is send them $100 and that was it. I sent it on a Monday to the United States Treasury and that’s more than three weeks ago. I hope everything is over. I’m going to be 70 years old next October so what I spent was really hard for me but I didn’t have any choice. I did whatever Community Tax told me they were going to do and it took me almost two years or less to pay this money.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had some back taxes that needed to be paid and Community Tax promised to deliver a lesser amount. I also filed taxes with them the following year, after I signed up with the initial. Initially, the team was hands on. Then a couple of months after, it fell off a little bit and I didn’t hear from anyone. They would stay in contact although not as frequently as when I first started the process. But they met their ultimate goal to get the tax amount down, and I was pleased with that.

Community Tax was very helpful in the beginning. They answered all of my questions, and concerns. After I paid my $600 for my case to start, nobody contacted me about my case. They were helpful before they took my money. Now I want a refund and handle my tax problems on my own, and they keep saying someone will call me but never do. I feel like the same way they contacted me before they took my money, they should at least follow up with me. I haven't heard anything. Very disappointed in this company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was just searching on the web and I talked to a couple of companies and they said that they could help. With two other organizations, I took it to a certain point where I could understand exactly what the charges were, what they were doing and how many years they’ve been in business. After I got it all together, Community Tax was a little bit more affordable and I felt with what I needed, they were gonna suffice so I was happy with my choices. However, some of their employees don’t put their numbers on the emails so I had to do a little bit of research once in a while to find out what their phone numbers were. I made three different calls to find out. Then my case handler was changed once or twice, so I had to ask their number out too and who they were. But I was always able to call the salesperson, the initial person I talked to. She had always helped me, direct me to where I needed to go and tell me who my location manager was.

Now, all my tax is done. I had negotiations with the IRS and it was climbing every day, $40-50,000.00 and they got it down to quite a small amount. It was unbelievable. $100 and I could walk away and I did. They demanded a payment to honor it and I've made a payment already. So it’s just a matter of them delivering the goods. The job was great. It was a good experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I received a letter from the IRS themselves and went directly to them. Within a week and a half, they did an Offer in Compromise. I paid it and I’m done. The program seemed like it was dragging out and I just needed things done sooner than later because I want to buy a house in October. Other than that, I had a good experience with Community Tax and I've successfully completed the program. They called me right back and talked to me about everything. Everybody I worked with was always really good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

After the initial payment of almost 600.00 and subsequent payments of 312.50 for four months all I got was the initial consultation and the agreement in the mail. I received a couple of emails stating who would be working on my case and what they would be doing. After that the only correspondence I received was a text telling me my payment was due. I have dealt with a tax services company before and they were absolutely the best. I decided to try a new service and it has been a horrible experience. I do not recommend Community Tax Services, they don't communicate with one another and they will try and bleed as much money out as they can out of you. Please choose a reputable company and not someone who is trying to take advantage of someone hardship. Stay away!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Community Tax did a wonderful job with the information they gave me when I called them. They did all the work for me because I couldn't do it myself. I tried many times for years and it was getting worse every time that I was trying. So I went to somebody who really knows what they're doing. They use so many people there that they all are professionals. I have successfully completed the program.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I made a mistake with the taxes so I decided to get in touch with Community Tax to get some help. When I talked to them, they told me a few good things but at the end, I found that it wasn’t true or they didn’t explain correctly. I wasn’t happy and I will not recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Between failed marriage tax, child support and the regular withholdings, I’m at 52% gross of my income. If I clear $100 a day, I make $1000 a check and that’s what I take home. It was a lot of financial reorganization as I’m going from a family man to a single guy that I have to pay for and I also had to sell the house. Then the IRS hit me with a $10,000 tax bill. Not that that's a great deal of money but it was the insult to the injury. I wasn’t interested in paying them anything. I heard of Community Tax was on a radio commercial, on Rush or Mark Levin, and now I'm done with the program. I've received the letter from the IRS stating that I was on their radar for the next five years. If I had any delinquencies or failure to pay, that they could tax me retroactively to go after uncollected amounts of money.

Here’s the IRS’s strategy. As soon as I stopped paying the $10,000, the only thing they did was confiscate the returns. So they got $5500 that way and when I add together the $2500 that I paid Community Tax, and an additional $500 they requested. So I paid $8500, and essentially I got out of $1500 worth of tax. On the other hand, I’m on the radar for the next five years and I don’t like the idea of anybody giving me particular attention in the government. It doesn’t make me feel good.

Certainly, I’ve never had any kind of delinquent tax before and if I would’ve known that's how it was gonna play out, I would’ve just paid their damn money. Did I get away with anything? Yeah $1500. What’s that worth? An old junky car that probably needs more than that to work. Did I really get away with anything? I don’t think so, maybe some clothes. My experience with Community Tax doesn’t really make a difference. If I owed fantastic sums of money, it probably would be very much worth it. But for $10,000, I would just pay them their money. That’s all I’d do.

Community Tax

Thank you, Ronald! Feedback like this is always great to hear! We are glad we could help. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future!

Original review: May 15, 2017

I Ronald **, am extremely happy with the service that Community Tax Service has provide me. Help with the IRS/Payment plan in place. Provided outstanding service preparing my current tax return in a timely manner. Their service returning phone calls/talking to agents, again outstanding service. A personal thanks goes out to Mr. Paul **. Addressing all my direct questions in a professional manner.

Community Tax

Hi Florence. We are so sorry you had this experience. We'd like to look into the issue further, and see what we can do to resolve this. Can you please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction team at 773-577-2938?

Original review: May 4, 2017

I received a settlement payment from my job which I had to pay taxes on. I did not qualify to Offer in Compromise so I hired Community Tax to see if they could lower my payment or do a payment plan. I sent them all my information. They prepared my taxes but they did not include the settlement information. I re-sent my information, they redid my taxes and included the settlement info. They asked me to sign electronically which I did. They then emailed me and said I needed to physically sign them and send them back, which I did, both federal and state. A few weeks later, received an email from 3 different people telling me I needed to sign them electronically again and send them. Again, I signed them electronically, cc'ing all 3 people.

AGAIN, they sent another email (2 different people) telling me they could not accept electronic signatures and I needed to physically sign them. This time I sent them via priority mail with a tracking number so I know they received them, both federal and state. Now I received a call a month later saying they needed my physical signature AGAIN. I told them I already sent them, both state and federal (a month ago) and I have the tracking number to prove it. They then stated they had my state tax signed but not my federal tax which is weird because I sent them both in the same envelope with a tracking number. They are so unorganized, don't keep track of things and have people who don't talk to each other apparently. I wished I never hired these people. Save yourself a headache and go with a reputable company.

Community Tax

Hi Melissa! Thank you for the great feedback! We are so happy we could help. Please let us know if there is anything we can do in the future!

Original review: May 3, 2017

I spoke to Leea **, she was very knowledgeable and sensitive to my tax needs. She explained exactly what I needed to provide and how she was going to assist me. Leea made me feel comfortable in an uncomfortable situation. I would recommend Community Tax.

Community Tax

Thank you, Mary! Feedback like this is always great to hear! We are glad we could help. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future!

Original review: April 27, 2017

Excellent! That's how my experience is with Community Tax. I had maxed out my taxes so I'm doing over the road drive and needed to get my life back in the right order again. I went straight to them and they did an awesome job. When I called, they called me back. They communicated with me back and forth with the information they sent out and things I needed to do during the process. I've got less stress and only had to do is move out and pay the last part I need to put before the end of July to get the program completed. Even though I had other people say that they weren't a very good source I stuck with them because I started with them. If it was going to fall, it was going to fall. If I was going to do a business, I'd use them and recommend them for that. They're a good company to use.

Community Tax

Hi Michael! Thank you for the great feedback! We are so happy we could help. Please let us know if there is anything we can do in the future!

Original review: April 26, 2017

Their process was fairly easy. I was trying to find someone to help me deal with the tax situation that I had and I chose Community Tax because they've done it for a while. I'm done with their program. They reached an agreement and all I got to do was take care of it. They did what they said they were gonna do. I'm glad that it's gonna be over with. However, there were things I wasn't aware of that wasn't made aware to me. I assumed they would do it but it wasn't until I went through that later. By then, it was already like, "We have to get it done and be done with it." But, it is what it is and we're dealing with the government.

Other than that, Community Tax was spot on when it comes to taking me through the process and what's coming next, from the start, how it was explained to me, what I needed to do and the process, them being there if I needed to call to ask something or them relaying information to me what was to be expected. They made the experience less stressful for me.

Community Tax

We are so happy we could help, Lisa! Please let us know if there is anything we can do in the future!

Original review: April 25, 2017

I had a large IRS debt and decided to contact Community Tax. They've completed their part and got me the IRS acceptance to get a lower amount and I only have to make final payments. If anyone is looking to get their debt lowered, I would highly recommend Community Tax. They were always very prompt with calling me when they were supposed to and staying on top of everything and returning my emails and calls. I have nothing but great things to say about them.

Community Tax

We are so happy we could help, David! Please let us know if there is anything we can do in the future!

Original review: April 24, 2017

I needed legal representation with the IRS. I signed up for the tax resolution service offered by Community Tax and I have successfully completed the program with them. They were extremely proactive in communicating. Every time I had a question, they responded quickly and completely. I felt fully confident after I began working with them that they would follow through. I was nervous when I first decided to start a contract with them because their only presence to me was through the internet. I had no physical contact with them, and so like many things, I was a little bit leery. It's a new way of doing business and I'm sure that’s one of their biggest challenges. But they did a good job. They proved to be a valid, solid organization, and they seemed very professional. I would recommend Community Tax to anyone who is in the same situation I was in.

Community Tax

Hi Mario! Thank you for the great feedback! We are so happy we could help. Please let us know if there is anything we can do in the future!

Original review: April 23, 2017

Community Tax is a good company. They got all this paper finished nicely. If somebody needs to do their tax, I can recommend Community Tax.

Community Tax

We are so happy we could help, Darren! Please let us know if there is anything we can do in the future!

Original review: April 22, 2017

I had back taxes and I needed to get it rectified. I reached out to Community Tax and my experience with them went well. I have successfully completed the program with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Had a tax situation with back taxes owed. Reached out to them to see my options. Told the first person I talked to I was not interested in a tax lien. Just wanted to set up payments at the lowest amount possible...after agreeing I gave them $700 to get started...they reviewed and came back and said I could either pay the amount in full or I could amend the tax returns to cut the cost and make payments with a TAX LIEN for $6500. $6500 to amend 2 tax returns? Talked to 3 different people who kept giving me the runaround and basically I just chalked it up as a loss. They took my $700 and didn't do anything but gain power of attorney and requested transcripts. Total ripoff. I hired an accountant and my problem was solved without a tax lien.

Community Tax

Hi Dontrell! Thank you for the great feedback! We are so happy we could help. Please let us know if there is anything we can do in the future!

Original review: April 12, 2017

I was always working and I wasn’t gonna be able to file anytime soon what I owed the IRS. So I just wanted to get it taken care of. In the beginning, everything with Community Tax was good. Then towards the end, I wasn’t hearing from the lawyers anymore. They weren't answering the phone. Then they came with the offer and we came to a compromise that if I pay $500, then everything would be good. But I fully don’t understand yet because after I got the offer and compromise letter, I got another letter from the IRS saying that I still owe the outstanding balance. So I called someone from Community Tax and he told me to disregard the letter, so that’s what I did and everything is still good. I'm satisfied as far as getting the letter confirming that I only owe $500. When I pay them the $500, I should be able to file my income tax and receive payments the next following years. I'm good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I owed a chunk of change for Federal and I was pregnant at that time so I tried Community Tax. At first, they kept up with the phone calls and then they slacked off towards the end. But their service was good. They were on top of everything. I'm actually at the last piece of the settlement, so I just have to send my last money order in with the IRS and then they should be closing the case.

Community Tax

Hi Randolph! We are glad we were able to reduce your tax balance,and that you were happy with our staff! As far as the IRS seizing tax refunds, this should only happen with the return filed in the year the Offer was accepted. We'd be happy to explain in more detail, can you please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction Department at 773-577-2938? Thank you!

Original review: March 8, 2017

Community Tax was recommended to me and they did all right. I went with them to see if they could get my tax debt relief down from what I was being charged for. They were able to do that but they’re still taking my taxes so I'm still not satisfied. The staff at Community Tax has been great though.

Community Tax

We are so happy we could help, James! Please let us know if there is anything we can do in the future!

Original review: March 5, 2017

I had a social security disability settlement and the government thought that it would be a great idea to tax me on a bunch of money I didn't have. They thought I had $23,000 to pay them. But that's not going to happen. Then I researched online and looked at a couple of reviews. I didn't shop around and Community Tax seem to fit the bill anyway. They did an awesome job and I appreciate it. I got a $250 check I'm sending off tomorrow to the IRS and then we're done. Once I paid the settlement, they decided to put a lien on me. Once they put it on, I can't just have it taken off, so I'll play the game as it goes. Once the lien comes off, the report itself will repair itself.

I never really had a negative experience, I knew the predicament I was in and then the fees were high but they were going to be high regardless. That was the situation I made. When attorneys are doing things, it is what it is. I've been treated with nothing but respect. They were all helpful. I have many friends too that are in the same shape I was but every once in awhile, I bump into people that are getting ready or in the middle of a disability settlement that I would be more than happy to send it off. I've got Community Tax on my computer.

Community Tax

Thank you, Charlotte! This is always great to hear! We are glad we could help.

Original review: March 4, 2017

We were audited by the IRS and we were left with a huge balance. I contacted Community Tax and have been working with them for a long time. My balance was $398,000 and our payoff is $31,000. It took a long time but Community Tax did a great job. The communication was great too. I always talk with their staff, Daniel and I told him that once we get this off from the IRS and we get this done, I would be more than happy to provide a testimonial. We're almost finished with the program and we've gotten approval. We're just waiting for the last letter which is going to be here in the next 30 days.

Community Tax

Thank you for the kind words, Israel! Please let us know if you need anything in the future!

Original review: March 3, 2017

Community Tax is doing very well for me. I've paid it all and still waiting for the one letter to finish the case. I recommend them.

Community Tax

Hi Laurette! Sometimes the best resolutions take the longest. We are glad we were able to help you. Please feel free to reach out to our Customer Satisfaction department at 773-577-2938 if there is anything else we can do to help!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I had some bad taxes that I needed to file so I sought the help of Community Tax. It was very extreme and expensive in retrospect. I probably wouldn’t do it again because it was just too much money. But what was intriguing about it was the fact that I can get rid of the tax debt and I could clear with time. It took about two and a half years with the whole process to finally got taken care of. So, the compromise went through and all I have to pay was $500.

Community Tax

We love seeing feedback like this,Kelvin! We are so glad we could help! Feel free to give us a call come tax season!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

Working with Community Tax for my tax problem was a long process, but I put my trust in them that they would get it rectified. I got denied on my first time but they stayed with me. They kept working with me and they submitted it again and then got it approved. They got my taxes reduced from $35,000 down to just $5,000. A lot of people told me it won't work but they got it to work. They took care of me.

Community Tax

Hi Luis! We are glad you had a good experience with us. We'd love to look at your case and see if we can move things along quicker, or help with your 2016 taxes. Can you give us a call at 773-577-2020?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I've had a good experience with Community Tax, although they haven't helped me get rid of my tax issues yet because I sent in the money to the IRS.

Community Tax

Hi Victor! We are so glad we could help, and we really appreciate your feedback! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you in the future!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I was in a big problem and a struggle with the IRS because they wanted to do a lot of things wrong. The taxes were okay but I didn't have enough tools to respond to them because they were all attorneys in taxes and it's difficult for people like me to fight with them, so I used Community Tax because they are specialists in different areas and they can help me.

I speak with Community Tax every time I have a question and they're helping me a lot, so everything has gone smoothly. Also, they give me the opportunity to pay as soon as I have money. They are polite and ready to help me. It was easy to communicate with the case manager and exciting to have somebody speak in my language because it's terrible to express so much terms in income tax and to have no knowledge about the taxes law. I've successfully completed the Community Tax program and last year between December 20 and 26, I sent the money-order or check to the IRS and I followed the tracks by USPS, and they received it on the 27th. I'm waiting for the last communication from the IRS that they received the check and they have to conclude my case.

Community Tax

We are so glad we were able to help, Debbie! Thank you so much for the great review and the recommendations! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help in the future!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I owed the IRS almost $10,000 and I needed help to pay it since I didn't have the money. I called Community Tax and they assured me with confidence that they would be able to help me. They also did pretty good in getting back and forth with me during the year to tell me what the next step was and they were able to resolve my tax issue. It was a pretty good experience and I have recommended a few of my friends to them that owe taxes and don't know what to do.

Question and Answers - Community Tax

What problem is Community Tax trying to solve?

Community Tax works everyday to solve our clients’ tax problems – plain and simple. We offer solutions for common problems like tax debts, unfiled returns, audits, liens, garnishments, payroll taxes, accounting and bookkeeping issues.

Community Tax is already attempting to capture client feedback on a real-time basis. We want a steady stream of positive feedback in our online and media presence, but we also want to capture potential issues that one or more clients experience in order to help ensure future clients can avoid those same experiences. We are always open, evaluating and modifying processes to suit our client’s needs. Client feedback – good or bad – is the strongest tool we have to point us in the right direction. Every company has problems, it’s how you address those problems that sets you apart from your competition.

What sets Community Tax apart from the competition?

In regards to solving tax problems, Community Tax has a two-phase approach to addressing our client’s tax liability. Many tax companies initially offer a proposed one-time flat fee to resolve a client’s tax problem after just one phone call with the client, and often request thousands of dollars in return. Each taxpayer's situation is unique and we complete an investigation to determine the scope of their tax problem in regard to balances, filing requirements, audits, etc. We also perform a financial analysis to predetermine what government programs the client may be eligible for. This service is offered at a small investment to our clients, usually around $400-$500.

We’re aware much of our competition has adopted the two-phase approach as well, however we have seen and heard they can often charge double what we ask – for the same “stated” investigation service. We’ll often go beyond the operational cost we incur to perform our investigation service and we do this to deliver the best possible recommendation for our clients on every case, regardless if they choose to move forward with retaining CTAX to achieve that solution.

We maintain in-house technology and processes allowing us to complete a thorough investigation and analysis within days when many of competitors take weeks to perform the same service. This is an added value to any client who is trying to avoid collection activity with the IRS, as time is typically of the essence. When the investigation is complete we present the client with any tax returns that must be filed, which government program he is eligible for and exactly what it will cost the customer (in fees) if they choose to have Community Tax handle their resolution strategy. The client has the option to move forward with our tax preparation services and negotiation, or not.

Finally, we feel Community Tax is one of the few, (possibly only) tax relief companies maintaining an internal compliance department to proactively monitor our teams for quality assurance. We feel it’s essential to ensure consistency and accuracy with the tax services we offer clients as we primarily conduct business with customers from all across the country by phone, email and fax, rather than face-to-face.

What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

In addition to the speed and cost of our investigation service, we also have tailored investigation services addressing specific IRS collection actions, such as active garnishments and audit situations. However, we really feel the most significant and beneficial edge our company delivers to our clients, is the on-going annual tax assistance service(s) after we are done negotiating and establishing their final resolution. We want to ensure our clients complete the resolution program we established in full so they never get into a similar situation in the future – and we want to handle all of their income tax needs for the rest of their lives.

How does Community Tax measure success?

We evaluate the number of resolutions we achieve for our clients, as well as the savings we may have been able to obtain on each case. However, only until a resolution is achieved and we receive notification of a positive client experience behind the service we delivered, can we ultimately acknowledge it as a “successful case.”

We are always trying to become more efficient in our process. During the resolution phase of our tax relief program, there is a need for a significant amount of interaction between our office and the client in the course of preparing taxes and negotiating a resolution. Unfortunately, it’s not always convenient for the client to speak to us when we would like to update or request something specifically regarding their file. In retaining feedback from our clients about this specific phase of our service, we were able to address their concerns and their feedback was the ultimate driving factor in implementing our current SMS client communication system, which is now available and utilized on every case we service. Our clients now receive updates on everything from the status of their case to payment reminders.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the tax relief industry?

The settlement programs available from taxing authorities are eligibility-based using the most current financial data. Without properly evaluating, analyzing (or investigating) into the taxpayers individual situation, no honest tax advisor could confirm a solution to one’s tax problem. Unfortunately, a settlement of tax debt is advertised by many as a one-size-fits-all solution. For the record, there are a multitude of ways one could reduce an actual tax liability, but it depends specifically on the individual circumstances of the tax debt and the taxpayer. Our investigation uncovers and evaluates every option an individual may have at resolving their debt in order to educate the clients on all of their resolution options.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

Competition in the tax relief industry has grown tremendously. States have become far more aggressive in their collection efforts and unfortunately, depending on the state, there are typically fewer resolutions options available to clients when compared to the IRS. On the reverse, the IRS has put forth initiatives to allow for lien removals and relaxed some of their program qualifications in an effort to promote taxpayer compliance and resolution.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Community Tax?

CTAX has a variety of tax solution services to handle any type of income tax need an individual or business may have. Yes, we solve tax problems. Our team has been in the business of solving tax problems for so long we know how to solve tax problems before they start. We also offer tax preparation, accounting and bookkeeping services to customers who have never experienced a tax problem, they hire us in order to keep it that way!

Has Community Tax received any awards or recognition for its services your customers would like to know about?

We were selected for 2014 Illinois Excellence by USIATC (US Institute for Advancement of Trade and Commerce). Many of our practitioners have individual awards and acknowledgements as well.

How has Community Tax grown or evolved?

Our organization was founded as a tax company specializing in the resolution of tax problems, and led by in-house tax attorneys, Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and IRS enrolled agents. Since the beginning of 2010, CTAX has been a “winning” full-service tax services company dedicated to assisting taxpayers nationwide with all of their income tax needs.

Community Tax headquarters are located in Chicago, IL with several enrollment centers and partnerships throughout the country. We currently service nearly 10,000 clients nationwide. Directed by over 25 full-time licensed tax practitioners, we are currently staffed with an estimated 135 full-time employees – and we’re growing. Over the years, CTAX has evolved into much more than just a leading nationwide tax resolution and negotiation company; we have grown into a premier tax prevention service provider as well. Through the growth of our company, we’ve been able to evolve immensely through the advancement, investment, and utilization of technology to help benefit our clients’ experience from a convenience standpoint.

Community Tax Company Profile