Learn More

2. Tax Relief

4.4/5 (73 ratings)

About Community Tax

At Community Tax, we strive to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years we have assisted tens of thousands of taxpayers in dealing with the IRS and/or State Taxing Authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns, to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Pros

• Available in all 50 states
    • Impressive staff credentials
    • Free consultation

Cons

• Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

Community tax is a full-service tax company providing a wide spectrum of services, from tax prep to tax relief for individuals with $10,000 or more in tax debt. They staff enrolled agents licensed by the U.S. Department of Treasury.

About Community Tax

Community Tax, LLC (CTAX) is a full-service tax company that provides affordable tax services to individuals and businesses nationwide. Founded in 2010 and serving all 50 states, it is one of the leading providers of tax preparation, tax resolution, bookkeeping and accounting services.

Filing taxes and resolving tax issues can be complicated for most of us. CTAX takes pride in its staff of knowledgeable and licensed tax attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents. Enrolled agents are tax advisors licensed by the Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax issues.

Community Tax services

The IRS is bent on collecting all taxes due to the government. Non-payment of taxes, underpayment of taxes, late payment, misrepresentation and other violations of tax laws are reasons the IRS can come after you. Fortunately, CTAX provides a broad spectrum of tax services to protect yourself from the IRS' wrath. The services include the following:

Tax Preparation

All the tax preparers at CTAX are licensed with a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). If you use CTAX's services, you will be assigned a dedicated tax preparer. You will then submit a limited power of attorney to authorize the tax preparer to access your tax records at the IRS. After completing your return, the tax preparer sends it to a group of reviewers composed of seasoned CPAs. The return will be sent to you for your review and signature. Upon receipt of your signed return, CTAX will immediately file your return at the IRS.

CTAX tax preparers are diligent and accurate in identifying regular and special sources of income. They continue to educate themselves with new IRS policies and laws to determine which expenses are eligible for deductions such as:

• Higher education expenses
    • Student loan interest
    • Medical expenses
    • Mortgage interest
    • Real estate taxes
    • Charitable contributions
    • Gambling losses
    Tax Resolution

The resolution process starts with an investigation and may last from one week to one year. The CTAX investigative team analyzes your financials and IRS records. The team sends you its findings and offers the following potential solutions:

• Offers in Compromise (OIC): Taxpayers who are at the verge of financial hardship can qualify. Financial hardship means having more expenses than income. The IRS determines the maximum amount taxpayers are financially capable of paying without causing hardship. The remainder of the tax debt is forgiven.
    • Installment Agreement (IA): This method allows taxpayers to pay their tax debt balance over a period ranging from six months to 10 years.
    • Stair Step Agreement: This solution grants taxpayers the option to pay off a large expense, such as a car, with larger installments while paying smaller installments on the tax debt. After full payment of the large expense, they can then switch the entire payment to the tax balance within the next 48-60 months.
    • Streamline Installment Agreement:This tax relief is eligible for taxpayers with substantial income or assets. The actual balance must not be more than $50,000 and be payable within 60-72 months.
    • Partial Pay Installment Agreement (PPIA): Taxpayers under financial hardship are eligible for PPIA. Based on a taxpayer’s financial information, CTAX can negotiate for a hardship payment, which is less than the required monthly payment, for 10 years. The IRS has a 10-Year Statute of Limitations for the collection of past due tax debt. After 10 years, even if the taxpayer will not be able to pay the debt in full, the IRS will no longer be able to collect.
    • Conditional Expense Installment Agreement: The IRS may grant installment payments to a tax liability to allow a taxpayer to continue paying a long-term expense, such as a 401k program.
    • Traditional Installment Agreement: This arrangement allows a taxpayer to make monthly installment payments over a 10-year period based on the taxpayer’s current financial situation.
    • Currently Not Collectible Status: Taxpayers struggling with financial hardship may be completely relieved of their tax debt until such time that they are able to recover.
    • Penalty Abatement: Under this agreement, taxpayers may request for a decrease in penalties on back taxes, but they must show proof that they missed payments or made late payments for uncontrollable reasons
    Accounting

CTAX offers accounting, personalized bookkeeping and payroll services for affordable flat-rate monthly fees. The services come in these three plans:

• Bronze: The services include monthly bookkeeping, 24/7 IRS correspondence monitoring, financial reporting and bank reconciliation for one bank account and one credit card account and analysis of estimated tax payment. The package costs $99/month.
    • Silver: The package includes all the services provided by the Bronze plan, plus financial reporting and bank reconciliation for two bank accounts and two credit card accounts. This package also includes unlimited tax planning by a CPA. The plan costs $199/month.
    • Gold: The plan provides all the services included in the Silver plan, plus payroll processing and a dedicated IRS tax attorney for a fixed monthly fee to be agreed upon by CTAX and the taxpayer.
    Bookkeeping

Bookkeeping services include overseeing bank and credit card transactions, recording and adjusting journal entries, as well as preparing payroll returns, W-2’s and 1099 MISC forms. Clients are allowed to choose and seasonally adjust the services they use and only pay for the services they use.

Community Tax Assurance Program

The Community Tax Assurance Program (TAP) is designed as a prevention program to ensure that clients remain compliant and updated with tax policies to eliminate future tax problems. TAP offers the following programs:

• Access Assurance: Services include tax account monitoring, IRS alerts, helpful tax information and updates and exclusive access to TaxPal, a mobile app with 24-hour tax monitoring and alerts. The program is free.
    • Executive Assurance: The program includes all Access Assurance services plus priority servicing, direct access to tax practitioners and a dedicated case advocate. It also includes a free annual personal income tax return, free garnishment investigation, free tax-related ID theft repair and a 20 percent discount on future resolution services. The program costs $34.99/month.
    • Enterprise Access: The program includes all Executive Access services plus customized services, a designated accounting team, a free business income tax return and individualized tax planning by a highly skilled CPA. The program costs $99.99/month.

How does Community Tax work?

Community Tax services clients who need help with tax preparation or seek tax debt relief. Being a trusted tax company, CTAX strives to give the best service to clients who have back taxes, liens on their bank accounts, garnished wages or are being audited. The CTAX process consists of three main steps.

1. Information Gathering
      Experienced tax professionals will gather your financial information from you to make a tax analysis of your case, which, in turn, will help them work out the best solution to your problem. The information may include past tax returns, bank and credit card accounts, and other financial records, depending on the complexity of your tax issue.
    2. Investigation
      The investigation process involves getting access to your IRS records. You will need to provide authorization to your assigned CTAX investigator to file IRS Form 8821 or the appropriate form for the state taxing authority on your behalf to obtain a complete record of your account.
    3. Resolution
      Once the investigator completes their work, you will be presented with resolution options to consider. They have been discussed above.

Community Tax FAQ

How much does Community Tax cost?
    Pricing varies and depends on the complexity of the case. Consultation is free, but the company website does not provide direct pricing information on tax debt relief. However, according to some review sites, Community Tax charges clients the following fees:
    • Initial fee of $500 to $750
    • Flat fee of $2,500 and $4,500
    • $275 for W-2 returns
    • $525 for Forms 1099 and 1040
    • $1,000 for business tax returns
    Does Community Tax offer any type of guarantee?
    Community Tax allows a full or partial refund for services not rendered; however, you need to discuss this with a customer satisfaction representative, as reimbursements are on a case-by-case basis.

Do we recommend Community Tax?

Community Tax is a trusted tax company employing experienced tax professionals specializing in tax issues and serving clients all over the United States. Numbers don’t lie, and with more than $600 million tax debts resolved, we recommend CTAX for taxpayers with complicated tax returns, back taxes or potential issues that may invite an audit.

Community Tax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: July 11, 2021

I have been with Community Tax for a long time. I owed probably $50,000 and they did a program with the IRS. I stayed with them because the person I called five years ago or so helped me to stop the levy. The IRS was gonna be taking money out my paycheck. That was the reason why I started researching for somebody to help me. Since I'm in Houston, I wanted to try to get somebody in Houston so I can go up to the office. Community Tax was the one who kept reaching out to me to see how I was doing. When they explained different things to me, they did it on my level. That’s what I really like about them. They told me how much I needed to pay for each service. They would give me something higher but I told them I couldn't pay that. They worked out and I would tell them what I could pay.

Everything that they told me they were gonna do, they did for me. The Community Tax person who's over my case would call me every month to give me an update and I really like that. Any concerns that I would have, I would email them and they would email me back. If I didn't understand the answer, I would call them and someone would get back with me the day or next day. They are very proficient on getting back with me when I need it.

Community Tax response

Hey Tamikae, thank you for your kind words! Please don't hesitate to reach out for any of your future tax needs!

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I reached out to Community Tax, LLC. from Chicago, Illinois back on November, 11th 2020 in search of Tax Relief Services. I had received a lien or wage garnishment letter, and I knew I did not owe as much as the IRS says I did. I didn’t want to fight the IRS myself, when I could have Tax Practitioners do it for me, right? My case was untraditional as I'm more hands on than most. Community Tax did an investigation into my tax issue as part of their phase 1 program. I have to say that you can't get a CPA to look over your complete tax record for $250.00 as their phase 1 costs. I think more of the money might be made through phase 2 and negotiations with Federal and State agencies. They are creating a new standard for the industry and customer best interests come first.

I stopped before going into Phase 2 for two reasons, I was afraid of being taken advantage of not knowing what I was doing and I believe no client should pay full price for a service until they know what kind of options are available to them and what the expectations of the service are. Let that not be evidence of dissatisfaction: quite contrary… Let me put it into perspective for you here.

My tax bill was $35,000. Healthy, but not massive. I would expect to pay around $4,000 to a CPA or Tax Consultant to help me with my tax problem. The average client, at a tax resolution firm, spends between $3,500.00 - $7,000.00 just to the company handling the tax problem. The more you owe, the more complex your scenario, and the overall time estimated to handle your tax resolution will lean you more towards the top end of that.

I owed $35,000, I had 6 returns to be filed, 1 to be amended, and the TOTAL cost as a percentage of the TOTAL tax bill that Community Tax LLC proposed to charge me WAS ONLY 4% percent of the outstanding debt, including the investigation. You can do the math, but I'll give you a hint, it was going to cost under $1,500.00 in service fees to the company for an investigation, filing the returns, amending the returns and settling my debts for my particular case. Note, your price will be specific to your circumstances, I can't express the importance of that. You can trust this company. I personally did not go into phase 2 because,

A. As I had stated early on, I was more hands on and only interested in the investigation. I would handle the returns myself. No foul. A+.
      B. An early on miscommunication between myself, the client and the sales rep which was later resolved to my full satisfaction. The Customer Satisfaction Department is. No foul. A+.

C. I thought of a different way to get the tax bill handled. No foul. A+.

My experience with the customer satisfaction department was A+. Definitely reach out to them if you have questions or concerns. Great overall experience. AAA+++.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Community Tax response

Hi Jonathan, thank you so much for your kind words. We are thrilled that we exceeded your expectations. We will be sure to pass along your praise to our team. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

The IRS was gonna garnish my wages and so I was really worried about it. I contacted Community Tax, and they were able to stop that garnishment before it started. The process took about three weeks. So, they're pretty fast. The enrollment process was good. They were very engaging, let me know everything that was going on and kept me updated on everything. They even faxed in what needed to be faxed in on my HR department payroll to stop that garnishment.

The program helped me tremendously because I'm not able to really afford 25 or 30% of my check wage garnished. The agent I dealt with was great. I was impressed with his great customer service. Every letter that was gonna get sent out regarding IRS, every step of the way, he kept me up on. The cost was all right. It was probably expensive at $300 a month for about 10 months. It was worth it, though. Community Tax was very great at what they do. Working with them gave a lot of relief from stress of my wages not being gone.

Community Tax response

Hi Nathaniel! Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so glad that we exceeded your expectations en route to giving you the peace of mind you deserve. Feel free to reach out for any future tax needs! Have a great day.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I've been trying to search for the best tax company that could help me with my tax problem. Fortunately, I happened to watch a TV ad for Community Tax and I decided to choose them based on that. Before, I didn't know their company. I had a nice and great experience with them. They did everything. Everybody, like the person involved in my case, was very helpful. They were very patient in trying to communicate with me. When I was disapproved and my request was denied, they talked to me and discussed with me the possibilities then they submitted documents for me.

There was also the lawyer, Attorney Juan. The communication between us was really great. When the IRS declined my request, it was the effort of Attorney Juan that paved the way for the approval of my request offer. He did something really great there in trying to present my case. Their people's expertise and their experience helped me get the positive result that I wanted. Attorney Juan and Christopher did really great. Working with Community Tax has a great impact on the financial aspect of my life because I saved so much money. I couldn't really afford to pay the amount that was required of me to pay.

Community Tax response

Hey Jennifer, thanks for reaching out! We are so glad we could exceed your expectations as we worked on your case. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Optima's rep put me on hold and this and that, and it just took too long. It was 30 minutes. And I’ve talked to three different people, and they kept pushing me to somebody else. So, I just hung up and called the next one, which was Community Tax, and they were right away, just boom, boom, boom. I dealt with this one person. When I had questions, Community Tax likes to get several people that would analyze the case. And the one that always contacted me could never fully answer any of my questions. And then, somebody would always have to call me back with the info who immediately answers all the questions that I had. It was weird. I dealt with a person at the bottom of the rung.

They always wanted to make sure, I guess in that line of work, that the client is informed of what was going on. And you feel like you are important. They would have somebody call, like an attorney would have to call me back and be like, “No. This, this, this.” The account manager was probably the one that would call me back and would have all the information. But the person under him that would make all the phone calls to their clients, and just give a quick status report, could never answer any of the questions that I had. That would be the only thing.

Community Tax response

Hey Logan! Thank you for your feedback. We're so glad you felt valued and informed while working with our team. We pride ourselves on our client service so it's always great to hear feedback such as this! Have a great day.

Original review: July 21, 2021

I would recommend to a friend, Community Tax did what they said they would do, my situation was resolved in a few weeks. From the beginning the process was explained and the agents at Community Tax came up with a plan. Now I can sleep better at night.

Community Tax response

Thank you for your review. We are happy to assist! Helping our clients sleep better is always our goal!

Community Tax

Original review: July 20, 2021

Community Tax helped me a lot to get back on track with my taxes, get my business together and a house. The only thing was I never got to see anyone in person. It was always either by phone, text, or email.

Community Tax response

Hi John, thank you for your kind words! We are so glad you had a positive experience with us. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: July 14, 2021

I contacted Community Tax and from day one, I felt a lot better. I felt a big sense of relief. Everybody's been wonderful, helpful and good people. Community Tax is worth looking into.

Community Tax response

Hey Ronald, thank you for your feedback! We are thrilled you had a positive experience with our team. Please don't hesitate to reach out for any of your future tax needs!

Original review: July 8, 2021

I Appreciate the help, I just hope everything works out for me. Erika are a good worker. Every time I had a question it got answer. This company really cared about my situation and stood by their word. I will recommend y'all services❗

Community Tax response

Hi Michelle, thank you for your feedback! We are so glad you had a great experience working with us. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: July 8, 2021

I am so glad that my husband and I chose Community Tax. The representatives who talked with us through the process were always patient, knowledgeable and were very responsive. Erica Soto always kept us informed of IRS installment proposal and she also kept us abreast on income tax filing. I would definitely recommend Community Tax.

Community Tax response

Hey Mignon, thank you for your kind words. We will pass your praise along to Erica!. Please don't hesitate to reach out for any of your future tax needs.

Community Tax Company Information