4.6/5 (814 ratings)

About Community Tax

Community Tax strives to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years, the company has helped more than 100,000 customers deal with the IRS and/or state taxing authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Pros

• Available in all 50 states
    • Impressive staff credentials
    • Free consultation

Cons

• Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

Community tax is a full-service tax company providing a wide spectrum of services, from tax prep to tax relief for individuals with $10,000 or more in tax debt. They staff enrolled agents licensed by the U.S. Department of Treasury.

What is Community Tax?

Community Tax, LLC (CTAX) is a full-service tax company that provides affordable tax services to individuals and businesses nationwide. Founded in 2010 and serving all 50 states, it is one of the leading providers of tax preparation, tax resolution, bookkeeping and accounting services.

Filing taxes and resolving tax issues can be complicated for most of us. CTAX takes pride in its staff of knowledgeable and licensed tax attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents. Enrolled agents are tax advisors licensed by the Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax issues.

Community Tax services

The IRS is bent on collecting all taxes due to the government. Non-payment of taxes, underpayment of taxes, late payment, misrepresentation and other violations of tax laws are reasons the IRS can come after you. Fortunately, CTAX provides a broad spectrum of tax services to protect yourself from the IRS' wrath. The services include the following:

Tax Preparation

All the tax preparers at CTAX are licensed with a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). If you use CTAX's services, you will be assigned a dedicated tax preparer. You will then submit a limited power of attorney to authorize the tax preparer to access your tax records at the IRS. After completing your return, the tax preparer sends it to a group of reviewers composed of seasoned CPAs. The return will be sent to you for your review and signature. Upon receipt of your signed return, CTAX will immediately file your return at the IRS.

CTAX tax preparers are diligent and accurate in identifying regular and special sources of income. They continue to educate themselves with new IRS policies and laws to determine which expenses are eligible for deductions such as:

• Higher education expenses
    • Student loan interest
    • Medical expenses
    • Mortgage interest
    • Real estate taxes
    • Charitable contributions
    • Gambling losses
    Tax Resolution

The resolution process starts with an investigation and may last from one week to one year. The CTAX investigative team analyzes your financials and IRS records. The team sends you its findings and offers the following potential solutions:

• Offers in Compromise (OIC): Taxpayers who are at the verge of financial hardship can qualify. Financial hardship means having more expenses than income. The IRS determines the maximum amount taxpayers are financially capable of paying without causing hardship. The remainder of the tax debt is forgiven.
    • Installment Agreement (IA): This method allows taxpayers to pay their tax debt balance over a period ranging from six months to 10 years.
    • Stair Step Agreement: This solution grants taxpayers the option to pay off a large expense, such as a car, with larger installments while paying smaller installments on the tax debt. After full payment of the large expense, they can then switch the entire payment to the tax balance within the next 48-60 months.
    • Streamline Installment Agreement:This tax relief is eligible for taxpayers with substantial income or assets. The actual balance must not be more than $50,000 and be payable within 60-72 months.
    • Partial Pay Installment Agreement (PPIA): Taxpayers under financial hardship are eligible for PPIA. Based on a taxpayer’s financial information, CTAX can negotiate for a hardship payment, which is less than the required monthly payment, for 10 years. The IRS has a 10-Year Statute of Limitations for the collection of past due tax debt. After 10 years, even if the taxpayer will not be able to pay the debt in full, the IRS will no longer be able to collect.
    • Conditional Expense Installment Agreement: The IRS may grant installment payments to a tax liability to allow a taxpayer to continue paying a long-term expense, such as a 401k program.
    • Traditional Installment Agreement: This arrangement allows a taxpayer to make monthly installment payments over a 10-year period based on the taxpayer’s current financial situation.
    • Currently Not Collectible Status: Taxpayers struggling with financial hardship may be completely relieved of their tax debt until such time that they are able to recover.
    • Penalty Abatement: Under this agreement, taxpayers may request for a decrease in penalties on back taxes, but they must show proof that they missed payments or made late payments for uncontrollable reasons
    Accounting

CTAX offers accounting, personalized bookkeeping and payroll services for affordable flat-rate monthly fees. The services come in these three plans:

• Bronze: The services include monthly bookkeeping, 24/7 IRS correspondence monitoring, financial reporting and bank reconciliation for one bank account and one credit card account and analysis of estimated tax payment. The package costs $99/month.
    • Silver: The package includes all the services provided by the Bronze plan, plus financial reporting and bank reconciliation for two bank accounts and two credit card accounts. This package also includes unlimited tax planning by a CPA. The plan costs $199/month.
    • Gold: The plan provides all the services included in the Silver plan, plus payroll processing and a dedicated IRS tax attorney for a fixed monthly fee to be agreed upon by CTAX and the taxpayer.
    Bookkeeping

Bookkeeping services include overseeing bank and credit card transactions, recording and adjusting journal entries, as well as preparing payroll returns, W-2’s and 1099 MISC forms. Clients are allowed to choose and seasonally adjust the services they use and only pay for the services they use.

Community Tax Assurance Program

The Community Tax Assurance Program (TAP) is designed as a prevention program to ensure that clients remain compliant and updated with tax policies to eliminate future tax problems. TAP offers the following programs:

• Access Assurance: Services include tax account monitoring, IRS alerts, helpful tax information and updates and exclusive access to TaxPal, a mobile app with 24-hour tax monitoring and alerts. The program is free.
    • Executive Assurance: The program includes all Access Assurance services plus priority servicing, direct access to tax practitioners and a dedicated case advocate. It also includes a free annual personal income tax return, free garnishment investigation, free tax-related ID theft repair and a 20 percent discount on future resolution services. The program costs $34.99/month.
    • Enterprise Access: The program includes all Executive Access services plus customized services, a designated accounting team, a free business income tax return and individualized tax planning by a highly skilled CPA. The program costs $99.99/month.

How does Community Tax work?

Community Tax services clients who need help with tax preparation or seek tax debt relief. Being a trusted tax company, CTAX strives to give the best service to clients who have back taxes, liens on their bank accounts, garnished wages or are being audited. The CTAX process consists of three main steps.

1. Information Gathering
      Experienced tax professionals will gather your financial information from you to make a tax analysis of your case, which, in turn, will help them work out the best solution to your problem. The information may include past tax returns, bank and credit card accounts, and other financial records, depending on the complexity of your tax issue.
    2. Investigation
      The investigation process involves getting access to your IRS records. You will need to provide authorization to your assigned CTAX investigator to file IRS Form 8821 or the appropriate form for the state taxing authority on your behalf to obtain a complete record of your account.
    3. Resolution
      Once the investigator completes their work, you will be presented with resolution options to consider. They have been discussed above.

Community Tax FAQ

How much does Community Tax cost?

Pricing varies and depends on the complexity of the case. Consultation is free, but the company website does not provide direct pricing information on tax debt relief. However, according to some review sites, Community Tax charges clients the following fees:

• Initial fee of $500 to $750
    • Flat fee of $2,500 and $4,500
    • $275 for W-2 returns
    • $525 for Forms 1099 and 1040
    • $1,000 for business tax returns
    Does Community Tax offer any type of guarantee?

Community Tax allows a full or partial refund for services not rendered; however, you need to discuss this with a customer satisfaction representative, as reimbursements are on a case-by-case basis.

Do we recommend Community Tax?

Community Tax is a trusted tax company employing experienced tax professionals specializing in tax issues and serving clients all over the United States. Numbers don’t lie, and with more than $600 million tax debts resolved, we recommend CTAX for taxpayers with complicated tax returns, back taxes or potential issues that may invite an audit.

Community Tax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

The folks at Community Tax....a LIFE SAVER. When I tell you the IRS was on me, it all started with the letters. They began to come more frequent so I started looking for help. Shout out to Liberty Tax. They connected me to Community Tax. I spoke with David, I gave him my entire run down. Then he connects me to Brian, it was the 1st week I believe, that he got me squared away. He set me up with a payment plan (that I can afford). You guys I thought I owed the IRS a TON of money, I was wrong. It turned out to be half of what I thought I owed. Call Community Tax ASAP. They will help you, and answer ALL your questions. Believe me I was texting them and everything, yep they will call you back. Thank you David and Brian. I know it took me forever to write this review. #CommunityTax

Tamira,
    Thank you for your great rating and review! We will pass along your comments to your team!

Community Tax

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2022

I had several years of tax buildup because of an attack. It was a fraud. I had somebody file under my social. So, that really scared me from filing for several years. I had five years of taxes that I owed, and I didn't have a large amount of taxes owed. A lot of places won't deal with you unless you have over 10,000. After looking into it, it looked like Community Tax didn't really mind that. They never made me feel insignificant. They took care of everything. They passed me from person to person through the company through the different stages. I never felt like I was left in the dark. I was really blessed to find them. They did an amazing job.

Their reps were very thorough in explaining the process. I went from the first person, and then they sent me to the IRS person. She was really great. Then they sent me to my caseworker person, and she was really great, too. I stayed with her through the remainder of the process. Any questions I had, I asked her. Once everything got filed, I got on a hardship. She called me and explained to me that the taxes are still there. I was able to just put them on hold for now. I just started a business. So, that really helped me out.

I was happy with Community Tax. I was not somebody that needed to call and check-in. I didn't need a call every six days. They might not have called me for three weeks, but I knew they were working on it. When they called, it was to tell me something was moving forward. The interaction was minimal, and that was great for me. I'm a pretty busy guy. They didn't bother me unless they needed something. They didn't try to sell me anything or upsell or anything. It was pretty awesome.

James,
      Thank you for your review and rating!

Community Tax

Original review: March 4, 2022

I was calling the IRS and asking them what were some of the first steps that I needed to do to get back on track other than outright paying the money itself. Community Tax's number was passed on to me and that was when I set up with them to correct my wrongs and to relieve me of my debt situation. My experience with them has been good. I make my payment and I actually signed up for additional service with them. The first service that I got going with them was to repair my taxes to get me debt-free. The second service that was referred to me by them is a monitoring service. They're gonna file my taxes for me and make sure it's done right. In the past, it was done wrong and that was why I came up owing the IRS.

By 2023, I'll be debt-free so I'm extremely happy about that. My credit score is good and I'm trying to keep it that way. Once I got my credit score up, my next step was to become debt-free with my taxes. From time to time when they haven't heard from me, they would reach out to let me know that they're still there. And if there's anything that I need to ask them, to feel free to call. I really appreciate that point from them.

Terrell,
      Thank you for your rating and review!

Community Tax

Original review: March 3, 2022

Community Tax had a really good salesperson, and I absolutely felt I was in good hands. However, I was working with them directly for almost a year, and the communication was not there, which caused some frustration. They set me up with a loan so we could go ahead and set that up. For the job they did, it was absolutely worth the money. For what the resolution ended up being, 100%, dollar for dollar, worth it, but for the lack of communication, not so much.

I completed the program through them. They did exactly what they were supposed to do, and it was absolutely awesome. I felt communicated and taken care of, but that happened so late in the cycle that I can't give them a 5. At the end of the day though, they got me what I needed. I was planning on calling them back to do my taxes this year, but it's been a little late.

Sean,
      Thank you for your review and rating!

Community Tax

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I was on a mission to get all my tax paperwork caught up so I searched Google and Community Tax came up. I chose them and they helped me out a lot. their rep kept in contact with me. She answered any questions I had promptly and she was very attentive to what I was asking for. They were very clear about how much they were needing and how much it would cost for me to move forward.

There were some things that I did in the beginning that Community Tax should have caught ahead of time. But they were very responsive. It was more so like finding things that came up later on. It was just more money than I thought I would have to pay, but Community Tax got the necessary things that I needed at the time done. I was satisfied with that.

Michael,
      Thank you for your review and rating.

Community Tax

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

No one wants to have to deal with tax issues! When faced with them there is always a friend in Community Tax! Marco and his team have been helpful, kind and patient. Keeping me from stressing out. Couldn’t be happier.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

My case advocate Demetria was always there for me when I was feeling down especially after receiving IRS letters. I always felt comfortable talking to her. I'm glad that they found a resolution for my tax problems. I'm forever thankful to Community Tax.

Maria,
      Thank you for your rating and review. We will pass along your comments to your team.

Community Tax

Original review: April 27, 2022

Thank you Peter **, Daniel ** and team at Community Tax, LLC. Your services are stellar. You have provided the expertise to navigate the taxing agencies achieving resolution but most importantly, the peace of mind and calm you bring from the beginning and moving through the process is priceless. Thank you again!

Marya,
      Thank you very much for your rating and review!

Community Tax

Original review: April 26, 2022

They did a very good job on my tax bill and saved me a lot of money. Was worth going with them. Would highly recommend their service. Demetria did a very good job at navigating you through the process and again saved me a ton of money and headache.

Ed,
      Thank you for your rating and review!

Community Tax

Original review: March 24, 2022

The rep I work with knows how to expedite my account appropriately. Also, he makes me feel assured and very comfortable. But there were reps I had to go through who weren't returning my messages and calls and I found that to be very uncomfortable. Other than that, working with Community Tax shortened all the footsteps I had to take to get where I had to get and what I got.

Shena,
      We appreciate your review and rating!

Community Tax Company Information