Call toll free
4.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Community Tax, we strive to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years we have assisted tens of thousands of taxpayers in dealing with the IRS and/or State Taxing Authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns, to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Our office is staffed with dedicated licensed tax professionals that will work with you to customize a tax strategy for both the present and the future. We look forward to working with you for all your tax needs.

Illinois CPA Society
Non-CPA Asosciate Member of AICPA
Illinois Chamber of Commerce
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

455 Community Tax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I needed help with taxes then I heard that Community Tax was effective. Their enrollment process was not difficult but for the power of attorney, they made the authorization more than once because the period might have expired. They also got a compromise for me which was very good. It took me some time but they gave excellent service. I worked with agents but a specific agent did most of the work and was very competent in providing the report. When Community Tax started my program, I used to pay them on a monthly basis but I took care of the complete payment before it was finalized. Since then, I have completed the program and found them to be effective. I would recommend anyone to them.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the amazing feedback, Florence! We are so glad that you were satisfied, and got a great resolution! Please feel free to give us a call if you need anything in the future!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

In less than six months they resolved my case. Exceeded my expectations definitely. Do not hesitate to seek help if you have any kind of tax problems in the Texas. Believe is the solution to all your tax problems.

Community Tax response

We are so happy that you had a great experience, Jose! Thanks for the review. We appreciate it! If you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

If I could give a 0 I would because they don’t deserve even a 1. Save your money, the money you pay the suckers you could use towards your IRS debt or a private person to help you. I’ve had to tell them what forms to fill out for example the EIC; in the tax world you’d think that’s common knowledge. I was told they didn’t fill it because it’s not worth their time. Well I paid your ** - IDC if it’s a $1, it’s my damn $1. They are nothing but thieves that will rob you!!

Community Tax response

Jessica, we are so sorry that you've had this experience, we'd like to take a look at your case, address your concerns, and see what we can do to help! Can you please give our Customer Satisfaction team a call or email us? We want to do whatever we can to make things right! Thank you

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I paid close to $2500 for Community Tax services to help me with my $30,000 tax debt. Yes, they prolonged the IRS from garnishing my wages but my debt amount remains the same by the penny. If I had known I could have saved my $2500 and requested payment plans my damn self. All those commercials talking about "we will help lower your debt" whatever. I do not recommend.

Community Tax response

Hi Teresa. We're sorry that you a poor experience, and are unhappy with the resolution we reached. We'd really like to re-open your case, take another look, and do whatever we can to help! Please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction Team. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

After being left hanging by another tax service who took my money and did nothing so that my wages were garnished, I called Community. I paid them the investigation fee, was told they had financing. Was told that once a garnishment was in place there was nothing that could reduce or lift it except to resolve the tax issue (I live in Texas and I record ALL of my calls).

I called the IRS and it took me all day, but I got them to reduce the garnishment to $189 instead of 80% of my pay. So, misinformation right off the bat. Then I was called by another one of their people who asked me to send him my pay stubs. I impressed upon him that there was a December 23rd deadline for filing the three returns that needed to be filed or they would again garnish my wages at 80%. I let him know that I have a medical hardship. He assured me that he would call me back after receiving my pay records and that getting the returns filed by the 23rd wouldn't be a problem. I never heard back from him.

So, I call to follow up the next day only to be met by a recording saying he would be out of the office until the 26th. So, between the two tax companies, I have spent close to $6000 trying to get someone to help me and get this resolved. I have nothing left. I'm flat broke and now I have to figure out how to do this myself on a VERY short deadline. You are better off just contacting the IRS and working with them yourself to resolve the issue.

Community Tax response

Hi Marie, We are so sorry that this happened. It looks like our Customer Satisfaction team has reached out to you, and we were able to get things resolved, and your case back on track! Thank you for the feedback, it really helps us to improve! We are so glad we could get this resolved for you! Happy Holidays!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I had a tax burden. At that time, I lived in Puerto Rico and the Puerto Rico government did some sketchy things in regards to my taxes that also reflected on the federal taxes on the IRS. That was my main concern because the IRS was claiming a certain amount of money that I’m counting that I could not produce. At that time, Community Tax was the best option that I could think of from the research that I have performed online. I had a tax debt relief program and the process took five years, but it was the process. You cannot evade the process because it is programmed in that manner. Nonetheless, Community Tax did everything they could in that span of years.

The rep was very nice in handling the situation. The situation requires a certain level of understanding and when you go through the process, you feel really, really bad because it seems like a never-ending situation. To me, facing this was really, really hard and it killed all of my political aspirations simply because of the nature of the situation. But their reps were really attentive to every request that I made and they handled the situation the best they could because they were dealing with the most powerful federal agency, and that’s understandable.

I have finished the program two years ago. I paid it all upfront at that time and that was it, just one payment. Community Tax gave me a chance to start a new life. Many people commit suicide because of this stuff because it’s the end of the road and this company really dealt with my situation in a very nice way, and I'm grateful for that. My experience with Community Tax was the best experience ever in my life.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Enrique! We're glad we could help. We'll hope you'll give us a call again again come Tax time!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I had a couple of issues with all my tax preparation so I called Community Tax. Their enrolment process was easy. They sent me a form that I filled out with basic stuff. And whenever I got a question, I gave them a call and they gave me all the answers that I needed. When I also need information about how I can fill out the form, I called them and they were able to help me over the phone. Community Tax works with the IRS and they worked on a tax debt relief program for the money I owe. They redid all my taxes for all the past years and the IRS accept the offer. Then, I paid $500.

I am now done with the program and everything was fine but they should have told me that the program that they helped me was for the federal taxes. I did not know and I thought they were gonna resolve all of my issues or at least inform about the stuff but they did nothing with the state. The state where I live sent me a bill that I still owe them. I explained to them that I already fixed everything but they said I might fix everything with federal but I still owe for my state. I just got the issues and I gave Community Tax a call.

Hi Jose,

Thank you for the feedback! We are so happy we could help resolve your IRS balances. We apologize if there was a miscommunication about your State balances, we'd like to work with you, and see if we can help out on the State side as well. Can you please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction department? Thank you, and Happy Holidays!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I owe money to the IRS that I couldn’t pay and I saw the commercial of Community Tax on TV. I'm not used to talking on the phone too much. I like to talk to people face-to-face and since Community Tax is in New York, that was the only way to handle the enrollment process. Other than that, everything was good and I went into their tax relief program.

I don’t make a lot of money and I got to pay bills, the car and my household insurance, rent, gas and on top of that, the debt which hasn’t been leaving me any portion. Right now, we've run out of work for the last 10 days and I'm broke. I still owe $2,100 plus my bills. I work in construction and sometimes there are months that I don’t make as much as I make on summer time and it’s so hard to pay on winter time. There were months that I had to struggle for money and if I loan some money from somebody, I had to pay it. Still, the cost was good. I like it because I was supposed to pay $32,000 and they brought it down to something that I could afford even though it’s high.

Community Tax response

Hi Francisco! We are so happy we could help, and thank you so much for the feedback! It really means a lot to us. We hope you'll think of us come 2018 tax time. Happy Holidays!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

If you're having a tax problem, call the Community Tax hotline. They helped me. Enrolling with them was cool and I had no problems because if there was something I didn’t understand, I would call back and they explained it to me. Their negotiators were good and decent. The price that I had to pay could be improved but it wasn’t too bad and it was better than average. I have until March 11th to pay the negotiating fee and so far, i haven't seen progress but I have a few dollars put away. If I had any more tax problems, I would come back to them.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Wanda! We're glad we could help get you a great resolution! Please give us a call again come tax time!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I worked with Ryan from Community Tax and he was the best. He was very, very, very helpful, and very nice person. It was like speaking to my buddy. I enjoyed the experience with him. I worked in the casino business for 30 years. We swapped some stories, and it was very pleasant. The enrollment process was very easy. I had to send out some papers and pertinent information that they needed, which I expected. I very seldom had to send out all those things that I didn’t do, but it was pretty simple and the process went very smoothly.

I'm glad I used Community Tax. They helped me with federal income tax and their program saved me a lot of money. I just completed the program and sent out the last check to the IRS, which was only about $100. So aside from paying through the lawyer fee or Community Tax’s fee, I only had to pay the IRS $100. It was my offer in compromise.

The only thing that I didn’t like was the first time I spoke to somebody at Community Tax, they quoted me a price of about $2,400. And then when I was getting ready to sign up, it was $3,600. So that was a little surprising. But everything else was perfect. It wasn’t nerve-wracking kind of stuff because I was dealing with the IRS. Ryan made it very simple for me and made it an easy process. He would get back to me whenever I called. If I had to leave a message, he usually got back to me the very next day. They were very responsive, and they always responded to my calls. The whole experience was pleasant.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Doug! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution. We will pass your kind words along to Ryan and his team. He really is one of the best! Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I was having some tax issues and I didn’t know who to call. It was the first time I had issues like that, so when I heard about Community Tax in an ad on Satellite Radio, I gave them a call. I worked with them for about a year and everything is resolved now. There was a lot of going back and forth but the job was done. If I had a question, I'd call them. If nobody answered the phone, I left a message and they called me back. And that was I needed, to know what was going on. When I got a letter from the IRS and I didn’t know what the letter was about, I called and asked Community Tax about it and they gave me answers. Working with them gave me peace of mind knowing that I didn’t have to deal with the IRS anymore and I'd recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I knew I had a debt with the IRS and I wanted to be proactive and to make the first move. I felt like that was the least I controlled. At first I worked with Optima Tax but really early, I was not happy with how that was being treated. So I gave up the 500 bucks and went with Community Tax. I had read the reviews and I checked them out on Ripoff Report. That was what led me to go with them and they gave a lot better customer service experience. The enrollment didn't take long then the whole process took over a year but they had told me it was gonna take a while.

They got me all filed up. That was the initial thing and they worked with me really well in terms of payment. I did some money upfront and then I did a weekly payment. They gave me something I could swallow. In fact, after a while, they reduced it some. I was paying about $160 a week initially and then they reduced it like $50 a week. And they just auto-drafted it out of my account per week until it was paid up.

I submitted a few things but it pretty much went without my input. Community Tax took the ball around with it and did whatever it is they do. They sent me some stuff to fill out a few times but not a whole lot. We also got quite a few call conversations but those were usually brief. I don't really know what they did but the IRS accepted and so I'm done. And Community Tax did keep me up-to-date on what was going on. If I had a question, it wasn't hard to get anybody on the phone to talk to. My experience with them was fantastic and I would refer somebody else to them in a heartbeat. I would tell others to absolutely use them, as opposed to the other people that just advertise well. Some people advertise real well and some people do real good work.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Charles! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution. We will pass your kind words along to your tax team! Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Very friendly staff! They explain things very well and easily to understand. Kept us up to date on the next process, if not available at time of call they would return call in a timely manner. I recommend Community Tax to everyone!

Community Tax response

We are so happy we could help, Lorena! We really appreciate your feedback! Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need anything in the future!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had a problem with back taxes. I heard something on the radio about Community Tax and I checked on their reviews, so I decided to see what they were talking about. When I enrolled, they put me in contact with someone who asked me a few questions, took some information from me, and told me what would happen. Then somebody else called me and they kinda set up the stuff. They told me what I needed to give them and to forward them that information. After sending them whatever they needed, I got in contact with another person and they became my go-to person and contact. They told me what I needed to bring or what I needed to send, my time frame, and things like that. And we would communicate through email. The whole process took about seven months to complete which was pretty much within the timeline they gave me, though there was a little miscommunication at some point.

The reps I worked with were really cool and good personality-wise. Most of them were able to answer the questions that I had and the only issue I had was that I sometimes would receive duplicate requests. If I had spoken to my tax preparer about something that I needed to send in or I said I was waiting on this document, somebody else would call me and say that I need to send in such and such or that they were still waiting on me even though I sent the document already. So that bothered me that sometimes it didn’t always seem that they were on the same page internally. And with them and with taxes, you kinda get a little antsy and a little concerned.

They also had to do a credit check and told me that I could qualify for financing. So, I had to get in with a finance company, which I wasn’t really expecting to have to do, and that was independent of whatever I owed for taxes. Other than that, I would tell others to go with Community Tax because ultimately, they resolved the issue. In terms of them doing what they said, they definitely did that.

Community Tax response

Thank you so much for the kind words, Nakiya! We will pass this feedback along to your tax team. We hope to hear from you come 2019 tax season!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

In 2015, I found this company because I had two big businesses and thought they would be able to help with arranging tax payments with the IRS. They did not deliver what they promised and my business bank accounts were levied until I was left to close my businesses down within months. It was terrifying and I was pregnant throughout this whole time trying to get a solution. After I had decided to walk away from everything, I went to a local tax guy here in town who fixed my business tax returns and was willing to contact the IRS, however, he said it would cost a bit more. I wrote a negative review on Community Tax before I met with my local guy, and the owner of Community Tax called me and said his guys would fix my issue with the IRS and want to make this right. So, I told my local tax guy that Community Tax will fix my issue.

I sent all paperwork they needed, and today, my husband's bank account got levied with only $2,800 in it! The only money we have left until he is paid again. I had to file bankruptcy after my businesses closed in 2017, and now I am a full-time nursing student. I decided I need to continue to help provide for my family and do better but this company makes promises and they don't realize that they are ruining families and lives.

I hope the owner reads this and refunds me fully. They have not fulfilled any of their promises. It's so hard to get a hold of anyone or speak to anyone. We don't live in Illinois, and it's so heartbreaking that they would be treating people this way not realizing the complications people go through. This caused a lot of financial damages! I want to move on, and get the money I have paid for so I can move on and work with the local person here who has been helpful from the beginning. I can no longer waste any more trust and time on people stealing money as my family suffers. It's been 3 years! This is NOT right!!!

Jennifer,

After looking at your case, we see that our Customer Satisfaction team has reached out to you, and the issues have been resolved. We are so glad we could address your concerns, fix the problem, and get your case moving forward. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our Customer Satisfaction team directly in the future if you need anything else at 773-577-2938. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I needed help with a back income tax and I looked up Community Tax, read a review on them and it satisfied me. Everybody I talked to there was good. It took longer than what I thought any other company would be but Community Tax got it all settled. All in all, it was a good experience and I would recommend this company.

Community Tax response

Hey Leon! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! Should you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Community Tax's program took forever to do. It took them over a year and a half to settle my tax bill for six grand. Their people were nice and pleasant, but slow.

Community Tax response

Lorin, Thank you for the feedback! An Offer in Compromise is a resolution that takes a long time to achieve, but at the end, we are glad we could help you get there. If you have any questions please call our customer satisfaction department at (773) 577-2938

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We had a tax problem that came at us out of the blue. We tried to deal directly with IRS but ran into a stone wall. We contacted Community Tax which via emails and phone calls helped us resolve the problem quite satisfactorily saving us about $6000.00 in tax liability. They walked us through every step of the way, were courteous, professional and a pleasure to deal with under difficult circumstances.

Community Tax response

Hey Gale! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! Should you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I had called a couple of other places before going with Community Tax, but as I had heard them on the radio I called their rep, Ryan, and talked to him for quite some time on the phone. I asked him how long it was till I had to pay because they were asking for quite a bit of money upfront. The enrollment went smoothly. Ryan worked with me almost the entire time, except when I had correspondence through the mail. Community Tax let me know that they wanted my signature, so they had to mail me some stuff to get it. Once I got handed over to the person that processed the tax part, though, I didn’t talk to Ryan as much but I had his number so whenever I needed something, I called him and left a message and someone would call me back.

Everything worked out and I was happy with the results. While the cost of the program was a little high, with all the stuff involved, it wasn’t bad at five grand total. I worked extra hard and took a few extra jobs, and I paid that off in seven months. Everybody that I talked to said that they were still waiting to hear back from the IRS and they were waiting to have somebody assigned to my case. The settlement of my case with the IRS took a long time because of how many years I was behind with my payments, but Ryan was very amazing and did very well, and Community Tax was great and I don't know anything that they could have done better.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Everything was good with Community Tax, so they're the tops. In the beginning, I didn’t know much about the company, but the person that I worked with did well. The enrollment process was great. The price was expensive but the good thing was they gave a payment plan and that has helped me with the cost. Community Tax has been doing great and I'm so happy.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Francisco! We're glad we could help. We'll hope you'll give us a call again again come Tax time!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I needed help with an offer and compromise. Community Tax was able to do it for me and also delay any type of withdrawings from the account from the IRS. They made me feel good when I spoke with them on the phone. The enrollment process was smooth as well. However, it would have been beneficial if there was a little more communication when my case would be transferred to different people. But my offer was accepted in the spring so, everything has been good.

Community Tax response

Hi Nicole! We are so glad we could help , and we appreciate the feedback! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us for your future tax needs!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

In 2009, I had a big problem with IRS and they accumulated a big amount of money that I owed since that year, so I didn’t know what to do. I listened to this radio station and the guy recommended Community Tax, and then I gave them a call. In the beginning, I didn’t trust Community Tax because there are some people that just steal your money and don't do anything. But everything went well in my case and they helped me a lot. I'm finally through with IRS.

Everybody from Community Tax who answered my calls is very friendly. Then there’s a special person that has always been happy to help me out and her name is Elizabeth. If I was in person with her, I really give her the thanks because I appreciate what she’s done to me. I will let everyone who's having problems with the IRS that Community Tax is the best and they can help.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Jaime! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution. We will pass your kind words along to Elisabel she really is one of the best! Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I don’t trust too many companies and there’s a lot of scams out there. However, I’ll recommend anybody to go to Community Tax. I was drowning in debt and so I enrolled in their tax debt relief program. They do my filing and will also continue to file for me going forward. The payment plan they set up was good and they let the individual choose what he or she wants to pay. It makes it lighter and easier for us. Working with Community Tax has a very good impact in my life so far. It put me on a straight and narrow path now so that I can look forward to not making the same mistakes. They opened my eyes to that. I've also been trying to send them other people who are in debt.

Community Tax response

Hey Adrian! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! Should you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

We had an accountant do an Offer in Compromise for us, but it did not go through and the IRS sent it back, which put us further behind. So, I contacted a tax company because I was tired of the matter and I thought that I'd leave it to professionals. At first, we thought that Community Tax was expensive, but they were cheaper than the company that we wanted to go with. The enrollment was straightforward and easy. The agents that we worked with were excellent. Nick was the first agent that we worked, then we worked with a couple of different people after him. Nick was really good at explaining everything and giving us a lot of details. He also kept us up-to-date with what was going on because sometimes we didn't hear from them for a week and we wondered what was happening, but they were still working.

Community Tax got my case in February and it was settled in August, and that was great. The payment plan that they gave us worked well for us, and they were flexible with it. Then, after the case was closed and settled, I worked with the agent, Tyler, and he summed everything up. He also called to make sure that I understood everything. On the whole, Community Tax was good to me.

Community Tax response

Hey Charlyce! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! Should you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Community Tax did a good job. When I called, I talked to different people and they were good and very nice. The process was neither hard nor easy, but it was a little long and it took more than a year to get everything done. Community Tax made the cost fair and good for me though. I'm okay with them and I would recommend them.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the positive feedback, Sareth! We are so happy we could help! We'd love for you to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My initial contact person with Community Tax was very helpful as far as the information and the timing on what needed to happen. He was also very helpful in walking me through various steps and he kept in contact with me throughout the process. Trying to call Community Tax office's main line was challenging. It was like nobody was ever available. I’d leave messages and they wouldn’t call me back. So, I would have to call my initial contact person, and he would always get right back to me, send me an email, and make sure to get in touch with them.

My payment plan was very flexible. I’ve been in-between jobs throughout this process, and the timing and the payments worked out. They were giving me until January for the last payment but I paid it last week. The cost of the program was comparable to the situation overall. I have talked to different family members and friends about how comfortable I was with the process. I was very grateful that I was able to match myself up with some organizations that really helped me through this process. I referred people to Community Tax.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Linda! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution! Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I was having IRS problems for years and I fell into some lawyers that just took my money and did nothing. Community Tax contacted me by email. I took advantage of them and everything worked out perfectly. The enrollment didn’t take long at all. I had a brief over-the-phone consultation and we set up arrangements of payment. They worked with me all the way down the line and so far, everything is looking up. They helped come to a tax resolution and had gotten me off of compromise and I was very pleased with that. Now, I’m just waiting to hear back from the IRS.

The cost was beautiful for the work they’ve done. They were really efficient with everything and didn’t forget about me. They followed through and kept me up to speed with everything. If I had any questions, they made it easy for me. When I was in Chicago, it was like I was right there close to the office and everything was at my convenience. If I needed something, they got back to me within 24 hours. It made me feel like I was the number 1 client. I was 100% comfortable working with them. I would tell friends to look no further and go to Community Tax. I’m satisfied and couldn’t ask for anything better. I would highly recommend them.

Community Tax response

Hey Olin! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! Should you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I wanted to try to get my credit together and I’m trying to get back in standing with IRA so that I can file my taxes and if anything is due to me, receive that. I got into Community Tax and they said they needed $1800 to get everything started, then I had to pay $250 to file the tax for one year. I paid the money to get things done and now I am in limbo. The communication has been very poor, so I don’t know if their service works or not. I faxed them things which cost me $10 to $15 just to fax everything. I did that over several times and now I don’t really know what came of it. I’m still in the dark and I don't know where I stand as far as the taxes go.

Other than that, I got my taxes done for free last year and sent them in. But that was because I didn't make over that amount to be charged. So I’m finding out things, but not through Community Tax. I spoke to several of their reps and they told me that they are still looking into this and waiting on this paperwork. They also said they'd be in touch with me. When I called them, I was on hold for a good amount of time then I went to an answering machine. The money needs to be paid after you get someone but now, their reps are saying that they gotta dish it over with their senior representative and call me. But I don’t know when they’ll call back and I wish this was taken care of.

Hi Dexter,

After looking at your case, we see that our Customer Satisfaction team has reached out to you recently, and your concerns have been addressed. We are so glad we could get this cleared up,and move your case into a positive resolution! Please don't hesitate to reach out to our Customer Satisfaction team directly in the future if you need anything else at 773-577-2938. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Initially, I called Community Tax but didn't get an answer. Thereafter, somebody from there called me back and I had a discussion with them. Their reps were very nice to understand what I was presented with in my case. They offered to help me resolve the situation and provided consultation services for me. Working with them has given me a little more peace of mind and I could understand and relate better to what I was going on. They taught me what my rights were and what they could do for me. I definitely recommend Community Tax. It's a good firm to do business with.

Community Tax response

Hi Van! We are so glad we could help , and we appreciate the positive feedback! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us for your future tax needs!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I was stressed and I didn’t know what to do. Then I heard about Community Tax on the radio so I decided to call them. At first, the service sounded too good to be true. But since I’m done, I can say it was all true. So I’m glad I called them. They were also all good people to me. If there was something I didn’t understand, they explained it to me and made me feel good. I was also okay with the cost. They made the arrangement for the payment and I paid monthly. People having the same problem I had should call Community Tax. The company is gonna help them solve their problem and they don't have to worry about anything.

Community Tax response
"Thank you for the kind words, Anthony! We're glad we could help. We'll hope you'll give us a call again again come Tax time!

"

Community Tax expert review by Andrew Poulos

Community Tax is a company focused on tax relief staffed by tax attorneys and bankers. The company focuses on a two step process to resolve tax issues.

• Nominal fees: Community Tax touts their fee policy for tax relief customers. The company first analyzes the customer's debt situation, then comes up with a tailored plan and fee suited to the situation, so clients needn't pay a large upfront fee for services. The fee is refundable if Community Tax can't help the customer.

• Online learning center: The Community Tax website offers a learning center where customers and potential customers can visit to learn about tax relief, debt and more.

• All flat rates: In addition to no fee upfront, Community Tax charges only flat rates for work and never tacks on additional fees for extra services.

• Convenience: Community Tax provides tax and IRS help to people who live all over the country, so the service is convenient to use no matter where a customer lives.

• Online presence: With Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages, Community Tax has an extensive and helpful online web and social media presence.

• Best for: Individuals with garnished wages, individuals with a federal tax lien or levy and innocent spouses.

Profile picture of Andrew Poulos
Andrew Poulos Tax Relief Contributing Editor

Andrew G. Poulos, EA, ABA, ATP, is principal of Poulos Accounting & Consulting, Inc. in Atlanta, GA where he works with individual and business tax clients and represents clients before the IRS and state labor agencies. A self-made entrepreneur and real estate investor, Andrew is an author, national speaker and nationally syndicated tax software expert.

Community Tax questions and answers

What problem is Community Tax trying to solve?
Community Tax works everyday to solve our clients’ tax problems – plain and simple. We offer solutions for common problems like tax debts, unfiled returns, audits, liens, garnishments, payroll taxes, accounting and bookkeeping issues.

Community Tax is already attempting to capture client feedback on a real-time basis. We want a steady stream of positive feedback in our online and media presence, but we also want to capture potential issues that one or more clients experience in order to help ensure future clients can avoid those same experiences. We are always open, evaluating and modifying processes to suit our client’s needs. Client feedback – good or bad – is the strongest tool we have to point us in the right direction. Every company has problems, it’s how you address those problems that sets you apart from your competition.
What sets Community Tax apart from the competition?
In regards to solving tax problems, Community Tax has a two-phase approach to addressing our client’s tax liability. Many tax companies initially offer a proposed one-time flat fee to resolve a client’s tax problem after just one phone call with the client, and often request thousands of dollars in return. Each taxpayer's situation is unique and we complete an investigation to determine the scope of their tax problem in regard to balances, filing requirements, audits, etc. We also perform a financial analysis to predetermine what government programs the client may be eligible for. This service is offered at a small investment to our clients, usually around $400-$500.

We’re aware much of our competition has adopted the two-phase approach as well, however we have seen and heard they can often charge double what we ask – for the same “stated” investigation service. We’ll often go beyond the operational cost we incur to perform our investigation service and we do this to deliver the best possible recommendation for our clients on every case, regardless if they choose to move forward with retaining CTAX to achieve that solution.

We maintain in-house technology and processes allowing us to complete a thorough investigation and analysis within days when many of competitors take weeks to perform the same service. This is an added value to any client who is trying to avoid collection activity with the IRS, as time is typically of the essence. When the investigation is complete we present the client with any tax returns that must be filed, which government program he is eligible for and exactly what it will cost the customer (in fees) if they choose to have Community Tax handle their resolution strategy. The client has the option to move forward with our tax preparation services and negotiation, or not.

Finally, we feel Community Tax is one of the few, (possibly only) tax relief companies maintaining an internal compliance department to proactively monitor our teams for quality assurance. We feel it’s essential to ensure consistency and accuracy with the tax services we offer clients as we primarily conduct business with customers from all across the country by phone, email and fax, rather than face-to-face.
What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
In addition to the speed and cost of our investigation service, we also have tailored investigation services addressing specific IRS collection actions, such as active garnishments and audit situations. However, we really feel the most significant and beneficial edge our company delivers to our clients, is the on-going annual tax assistance service(s) after we are done negotiating and establishing their final resolution. We want to ensure our clients complete the resolution program we established in full so they never get into a similar situation in the future – and we want to handle all of their income tax needs for the rest of their lives.
How does Community Tax measure success?
We evaluate the number of resolutions we achieve for our clients, as well as the savings we may have been able to obtain on each case. However, only until a resolution is achieved and we receive notification of a positive client experience behind the service we delivered, can we ultimately acknowledge it as a “successful case.”

We are always trying to become more efficient in our process. During the resolution phase of our tax relief program, there is a need for a significant amount of interaction between our office and the client in the course of preparing taxes and negotiating a resolution. Unfortunately, it’s not always convenient for the client to speak to us when we would like to update or request something specifically regarding their file. In retaining feedback from our clients about this specific phase of our service, we were able to address their concerns and their feedback was the ultimate driving factor in implementing our current SMS client communication system, which is now available and utilized on every case we service. Our clients now receive updates on everything from the status of their case to payment reminders.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the tax relief industry?
The settlement programs available from taxing authorities are eligibility-based using the most current financial data. Without properly evaluating, analyzing (or investigating) into the taxpayers individual situation, no honest tax advisor could confirm a solution to one’s tax problem. Unfortunately, a settlement of tax debt is advertised by many as a one-size-fits-all solution. For the record, there are a multitude of ways one could reduce an actual tax liability, but it depends specifically on the individual circumstances of the tax debt and the taxpayer. Our investigation uncovers and evaluates every option an individual may have at resolving their debt in order to educate the clients on all of their resolution options.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Competition in the tax relief industry has grown tremendously. States have become far more aggressive in their collection efforts and unfortunately, depending on the state, there are typically fewer resolutions options available to clients when compared to the IRS. On the reverse, the IRS has put forth initiatives to allow for lien removals and relaxed some of their program qualifications in an effort to promote taxpayer compliance and resolution.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Community Tax?
CTAX has a variety of tax solution services to handle any type of income tax need an individual or business may have. Yes, we solve tax problems. Our team has been in the business of solving tax problems for so long we know how to solve tax problems before they start. We also offer tax preparation, accounting and bookkeeping services to customers who have never experienced a tax problem, they hire us in order to keep it that way!
Has Community Tax received any awards or recognition for its services your customers would like to know about?
We were selected for 2014 Illinois Excellence by USIATC (US Institute for Advancement of Trade and Commerce). Many of our practitioners have individual awards and acknowledgements as well.
How has Community Tax grown or evolved?
Our organization was founded as a tax company specializing in the resolution of tax problems, and led by in-house tax attorneys, Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and IRS enrolled agents. Since the beginning of 2010, CTAX has been a “winning” full-service tax services company dedicated to assisting taxpayers nationwide with all of their income tax needs.

Community Tax headquarters are located in Chicago, IL with several enrollment centers and partnerships throughout the country. We currently service nearly 10,000 clients nationwide. Directed by over 25 full-time licensed tax practitioners, we are currently staffed with an estimated 135 full-time employees – and we’re growing. Over the years, CTAX has evolved into much more than just a leading nationwide tax resolution and negotiation company; we have grown into a premier tax prevention service provider as well. Through the growth of our company, we’ve been able to evolve immensely through the advancement, investment, and utilization of technology to help benefit our clients’ experience from a convenience standpoint.

Community Tax Company Information