4.55/5
  • 1 star
Based on 88 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Community Tax, we strive to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years we have assisted tens of thousands of taxpayers in dealing with the IRS and/or State Taxing Authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns, to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Our office is staffed with dedicated licensed tax professionals that will work with you to customize a tax strategy for both the present and the future. We look forward to working with you for all your tax needs.

Illinois CPA Society
Non-CPA Asosciate Member of AICPA
Illinois Chamber of Commerce
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

325 Community Tax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I have had the fortunate opportunity to work with Tax Attorney, Mr. Daniel ** who has been a lifesaver for me in dealing with my tax issues with the IRS. His service has been attentive and professional in assisting me with solving my tax issues with the IRS. Mr. ** always takes my telephone calls and answers questions with consistent and logical answers. Thanks to Mr. ** I was able to solve my tax issues and would highly recommend him to anyone who needs professional and consistent help.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

With the things they got, it seemed like Community Tax was a good company. They did great for me and they were able to successfully resolve my issue. I would like to thank them that they were there to help me out.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I heard about Community Tax on a radio advertisement and I wrote down the number. I called and tried to see if I could qualify, and I did. It took about a year and a half to solve, but they were very generous and I could make monthly payments. I paid it off and I got the approval letter for a settlement from $52,000 down to $500. Their attitude was great when I spoke to them over the phone.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I owed back taxes so I decided to connect with Community Tax, who I found on the internet and saw had good reviews. Their representatives are very helpful and understanding. They're always there when you call them for help. Overall, I would recommend them to anybody who has the same situation I had.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I was so hopeful about working with this company during my initial conversations which were exactly 2 years ago. I spoke with someone who made me feel like within a year (October, 2016) my back taxes would be settled for “around $500”. At that time I thought it seems like awhile but it’s totally worth. Now I’m even a year past that. I have spoken to many people from the company within two years, sent and resent many of the same documents and am now in a serious amount of debt that’s leaving me in tears. I received notices from the IRS that I was told not to worry about. Just recently I have received notices of intent to seize and haven’t heard back from Community Tax.

I now owe just under $25,000 to the IRS which I set payments up for today to avoid more trouble. This is on top of thousands I’ve spent working with Community Tax. I’m so disappointed but mostly scared and upset. Very unsettling feeling. I wish I would of applied the money to my tax debt in the first place but I was a believer. I gave two stars only because many people I spoke with were kind but I feel then miscommunication between the departments must of gotten me here. The most convincing person I spoke with has since gone silent and I felt he sounded like a trustworthy person. I don’t have a dime less off what I owe. I’ve just added around $6,000 to my debt.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Just want to commend Evan **, Ea, for His follow up on our tax case. I was all worried & stressed over the letter I received from the IRS. He just took all the worries away, since he followed up ahead of time to make sure everything was in order with no surprises. He is just very good in helping us navigate the complexities of taxes. If you want someone on your corner, Evan ** is the one you want to represent you. He looks out for your best interest without breaking the rules. We are not done yet, but we are on the right track. Thank you, Mr **.

No response received
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

We started a little over two years ago with the service. After hearing a ad on a local radio station my wife called them since we had both state and federal tax issues. She paid $600 which was later called a start up fee and ended up paying about $9000 in total. During the time we were making payments my bank account had a lien placed against it three times. We called Community Tax and were told we could miss a week but had to keep up on our payments when asked about the state lien. Little was said except that they were working on it. In the last 6 months my wife's check has been garnished by the state.

We received a IRS letter about a collections hearings recently so we contacted both the State and Federal agents and found out that they had little contact with the state and we received all the communications they had which was also very little. It looked like the agent would contact them and our manager, we had 9 different ones, would get back to him in 4-6 weeks. This led to missed deadlines which has us now looking at a collection hearing. From the paperwork we received the last contact that community tax had with the IRS was in the first part of July. It is now the end of October.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I needed to talk to someone and I called Community Tax. I listened to the initial sales pitch and I decided it was okay. The guy that I talked to at the beginning worked with me and he helped me understand the process and what I was getting into. He also made me feel that I was talking to somebody who was honest, which put everything in perspective for me and made me feel comfortable. If it wasn’t for him, I probably wouldn’t have continued to work with Community Tax.

The intermediate people who collected the data and walked me through the entire process were accommodating and easy to communicate with, too. The IRS accepted the terms that we had and my rep told me that he was going to follow through with a couple of final questions and then I was going to close the loop with the IRS and be done with it. He bought the whole thing to a successful conclusion and I'm very satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

We had a tax problem and we had to fix it. With Community Tax, I feel so much better. Their reps are nice. We're almost over with our resolution. They have to send me one letter and that’s it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I reached out to Community Tax for my income tax concerns and I felt very comfortable. They took the bull by the horns and have done a great job so far. Their rep Derek has good communication and when I call, he calls or emails right back and tries to get an answer for me. I’m very happy with Community Tax although I am still waiting for them to finish what they’re supposed to be doing.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I worked with Community Tax because I had a whole lot of tax that I owed that I could not afford to pay. Everyone I spoke to from them was very polite and professional and I really enjoyed working with them. It's been a great experience. They're still working on it and we're almost at the end. Now I had less stress from continually getting letters from the IRS. If I hear anybody with some tax issues, I would definitely recommend Community Tax.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I was having a tax problem with the IRS that's why I sought the help of Community Tax. I had a great experience with them. They were very helpful and explained everything. I called and one of their rep helped me out. He always called and followed up my case. Everything went well and very successful. They were very good people. I would definitely recommend them to my friends and family.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Benjamin, was very helpful and filled out all of the needed paperwork for me quickly. He also and answered all of my questions. I appreciate all the work he and Michael are doing to help resolve this tax issue for my husband and myself.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I had a major tax issue that I needed to resolve. I just went by the Community Tax commercial and it sounded like they could help me with what happened. I had a job where I was handed a 1099 after I was hired and it was a job under the table. I'm being paid cash to help a guy and then he 1099'd me and it was a lot of money. When tax time came, the government gave me a bill stating I owed $12,000 in taxes. I just wanted to fight it and I'm still fighting it. I paid $5,000 or $6,000 dollars to Community Tax and they did nothing to help me. It was a really bad experience.

Another terrible thing happened and Community Tax wasn't able to help me with anything after paying all the money to them. They told me, "Your debt was ruled uncorrectable by the IRS." I told them it was okay and I got to wait out 10 years and the tax debt will fall off from my record -- the tax lien. They didn't tell me that the IRS can just change that. IRS decided this year, "Well, you made a little bit more money now so it's correctable again." The IRS is going after me again. The $6,000 that I paid to Community Tax was just an absolute waste of money because they didn't counsel me on the fact that the IRS can just change that ruling.

I literally threw $6,000 out the window. One more problem is I'm trying to find another company or another accountant to help me with this same situation and Community Tax is still the power of attorney so all my IRS paperwork goes to them and they don't tell me when they get it. It's just an absolute disaster. Those people who worked with me were nice. I started with one person and I felt we were developing a relationship and by the end, I had other people working on my case. I’m very dissatisfied and I’d love to somehow get some of my money back but I don't know if that will ever happen since it’s been a long time.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I was behind in my taxes and the guy that I dealt with told me that Community Tax can fix my taxes for me so I went with them. Everybody was nice and they helped me out. They called me when I needed to be called and sent me a letter when they needed me down there. I competed the program and I just have to pay a bill to the IRS before December the 13th and once I get through paying that, it will be a success.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I read that Community Tax can help out with the IRS stocks and for the problem I had, they were the only company that I trusted and worked with. I completed the program and it worked out, but we had challenges here and there. In the beginning, they were very nice. I was interacting with so many people and sometimes it seemed like nothing was working out 'cause of the letters that I was receiving from IRS. But all of a sudden the last person I worked called me after I was like giving up. She told me that the guy I was working with was no longer there and that she's going to work with me. Then it just happened, while I was working with her, things worked out well. I'm supposed to pay in two installments. I sent out $100 already, and must send another $100. Overall, I'd recommend them 'cause people out there have problems but they don't know where to go and what to do.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I owed a whole lot of back taxes and in January, they were writing me all kind of letters. I didn’t know what to do with it and Community Tax said they might be able to help me. They were wonderful people and they made me feel a whole lot better. They were very easy to get ahold of and every question I asked, they answered. They also showed me how to send the money to the U.S. Treasury on the succeeding month. They got me right through my tax problem like it was easy and simple. I didn’t think it could happen like that. They took a lot of stress off for real and they've resolved the issue.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I was having state tax problems and a friend of mine told me about Community Tax. I was getting information from the state tax and will mail them to Community Tax but I didn't get a response for that from them. That was going on up until April this year. Every time I called they had me talking to different people. I told them I was getting threatening letters on my state taxes and I was trying to find out what the result on them was.

Then I got a letter that go right back from state taxes. It said that they were garnishing me for the money that I owed them. And so I wrote a letter to Community Tax and they connect with me whoever I spoke that connect with and the problem got solved. They were good in one way and another way they weren't. I will pay them money but I won't get no communication on the tax problem.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I went with Community Tax because of the rate and their good service. I felt comfortable with everybody there. First time I contacted them I spoke with one lady Sandra and she was a very good employee. They have very nice people. I finished the program. They solved it for only $500 so it's very good. I'm going to do my taxes with them in the future.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

The way Community Tax was talking on the radio, that they were good with different people with a bill with the IRS, made me decide to give them a call and see what they offered to us. I let them deal with any added bills. The team at Community Tax was excellent. If I ask them a question, they sit down and took their time to explain it. They did a good job. I’m very satisfied and I'd recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I had a problem with the IRS and so through a recommendation, I got with Community Tax and they practically corrected everything. That was one of my biggest problems but everything went fine. Their team is very friendly and they do the whole work I had to get done. I paid for this year’s services already so they’ll hold it for me and I expect to complete all my service this year. I also decided to use their other resources on my tax documentation for the rest of year.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

A requirement for the IRS led me to contact Community Tax. They were nice and their people did a great job for me. I was very happy. I'm a truck driver and I tell everyone about them, including other truck drivers who have the same problem as mine before. I had an excellent experience and I want to thank everybody at Community Tax.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I’ve completed the program with Community Tax and although I haven’t used any other resources from them, it was a good experience. They were professional, friendly and knowledgeable.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

We had tax issues and worked with another company, but they went under because they were lying to people. We connected with Community Tax and it's going really well so far and we’re at the very end of the program. They’ve been working hard for us and we just appreciate them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

My wife saw Community Tax on TV and she told me about it and then I tried it because I have a big bill ahead of me. And my tax issues have been taken care of and we’re very happy. I’ve just got to pay Community Tax $300 more, but right now, our experience is going pretty good.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

My colleague Kevin had some back taxes that were owed due to illness and had to connect with Community Tax. There were a lot of different people supposedly that were account managers and then you would call and they wouldn't be available or there was just a lot of different people that were spoken to although they did have notes on each conversation. There were times that we left messages and then we didn't get a call back because that person was no longer with them or moved to another area so we had to reconnect. There was a lack of communication and it was persistent on his part. The resolve took much longer than they indicated it would take but Kevin did manage to complete the program to his satisfaction. But there needs to be consistent communication with the company.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I wanted to find a solution for my tax problem. The Community Tax process went really good and working with their representatives went well. They were really friendly and really helpful. The IRS stopped getting money from my paycheck. Then we got to a settlement and they already set me up a fair amount for me to pay to IRS. I’m really thankful to have called them because they really helped. I’m satisfied with my experience.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I have a $15,000 federal tax lien and the problem couldn't be any worse than where we were at if we didn't try Community Tax, so we tried them. Everybody was kind and was also cool about it. At that point in time, I had no idea what was going on tax-wise, and now, I feel like a genius because they explained everything to me so easily. They also told me to call anytime I had a question and when I did, they would either pick up right away or get right back to me as soon as they could. They responded to everything awesome and sent me the emails that I needed too. They also handled it real smooth for me, told me not to worry about anything and took care of it. Particularly, Evan was awesome and he emailed and called me. They got me everything that I asked for and resolved it for a fraction. I'm satisfied overall and I have mentioned Community Tax to a work colleague because they have some issues.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I did a research on the web trying to find an agency to help me with my back tax problems. I researched any comments about the agency and tried to be very thorough. Community Tax was a good agency. The process was very lengthy and there is a lot of paperwork and back and forth and requesting information. It was a difficult case and so, I needed good people to guide me through the whole process and they told me what and what not to do. We completed it three months ago. Mike, the representative, was very helpful and always answered all my calls. He was also responsive to my questions. Community Tax people has very professional people. They always do my taxes. In the end, it worked out and was effective.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I called Community Tax and talked to one of their representatives. I found their tax resolution program good and it seemed fair, so I decided to go with them. I’m working on finishing the tax program to resolve my tax situation. The representatives were friendly and knowledgeable, and Community Tax did a great job for me.

Community Tax questions and answers

What problem is Community Tax trying to solve?
Community Tax works everyday to solve our clients’ tax problems – plain and simple. We offer solutions for common problems like tax debts, unfiled returns, audits, liens, garnishments, payroll taxes, accounting and bookkeeping issues.

Community Tax is already attempting to capture client feedback on a real-time basis. We want a steady stream of positive feedback in our online and media presence, but we also want to capture potential issues that one or more clients experience in order to help ensure future clients can avoid those same experiences. We are always open, evaluating and modifying processes to suit our client’s needs. Client feedback – good or bad – is the strongest tool we have to point us in the right direction. Every company has problems, it’s how you address those problems that sets you apart from your competition.
What sets Community Tax apart from the competition?
In regards to solving tax problems, Community Tax has a two-phase approach to addressing our client’s tax liability. Many tax companies initially offer a proposed one-time flat fee to resolve a client’s tax problem after just one phone call with the client, and often request thousands of dollars in return. Each taxpayer's situation is unique and we complete an investigation to determine the scope of their tax problem in regard to balances, filing requirements, audits, etc. We also perform a financial analysis to predetermine what government programs the client may be eligible for. This service is offered at a small investment to our clients, usually around $400-$500.

We’re aware much of our competition has adopted the two-phase approach as well, however we have seen and heard they can often charge double what we ask – for the same “stated” investigation service. We’ll often go beyond the operational cost we incur to perform our investigation service and we do this to deliver the best possible recommendation for our clients on every case, regardless if they choose to move forward with retaining CTAX to achieve that solution.

We maintain in-house technology and processes allowing us to complete a thorough investigation and analysis within days when many of competitors take weeks to perform the same service. This is an added value to any client who is trying to avoid collection activity with the IRS, as time is typically of the essence. When the investigation is complete we present the client with any tax returns that must be filed, which government program he is eligible for and exactly what it will cost the customer (in fees) if they choose to have Community Tax handle their resolution strategy. The client has the option to move forward with our tax preparation services and negotiation, or not.

Finally, we feel Community Tax is one of the few, (possibly only) tax relief companies maintaining an internal compliance department to proactively monitor our teams for quality assurance. We feel it’s essential to ensure consistency and accuracy with the tax services we offer clients as we primarily conduct business with customers from all across the country by phone, email and fax, rather than face-to-face.
What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
In addition to the speed and cost of our investigation service, we also have tailored investigation services addressing specific IRS collection actions, such as active garnishments and audit situations. However, we really feel the most significant and beneficial edge our company delivers to our clients, is the on-going annual tax assistance service(s) after we are done negotiating and establishing their final resolution. We want to ensure our clients complete the resolution program we established in full so they never get into a similar situation in the future – and we want to handle all of their income tax needs for the rest of their lives.
How does Community Tax measure success?
We evaluate the number of resolutions we achieve for our clients, as well as the savings we may have been able to obtain on each case. However, only until a resolution is achieved and we receive notification of a positive client experience behind the service we delivered, can we ultimately acknowledge it as a “successful case.”

We are always trying to become more efficient in our process. During the resolution phase of our tax relief program, there is a need for a significant amount of interaction between our office and the client in the course of preparing taxes and negotiating a resolution. Unfortunately, it’s not always convenient for the client to speak to us when we would like to update or request something specifically regarding their file. In retaining feedback from our clients about this specific phase of our service, we were able to address their concerns and their feedback was the ultimate driving factor in implementing our current SMS client communication system, which is now available and utilized on every case we service. Our clients now receive updates on everything from the status of their case to payment reminders.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the tax relief industry?
The settlement programs available from taxing authorities are eligibility-based using the most current financial data. Without properly evaluating, analyzing (or investigating) into the taxpayers individual situation, no honest tax advisor could confirm a solution to one’s tax problem. Unfortunately, a settlement of tax debt is advertised by many as a one-size-fits-all solution. For the record, there are a multitude of ways one could reduce an actual tax liability, but it depends specifically on the individual circumstances of the tax debt and the taxpayer. Our investigation uncovers and evaluates every option an individual may have at resolving their debt in order to educate the clients on all of their resolution options.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Competition in the tax relief industry has grown tremendously. States have become far more aggressive in their collection efforts and unfortunately, depending on the state, there are typically fewer resolutions options available to clients when compared to the IRS. On the reverse, the IRS has put forth initiatives to allow for lien removals and relaxed some of their program qualifications in an effort to promote taxpayer compliance and resolution.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Community Tax?
CTAX has a variety of tax solution services to handle any type of income tax need an individual or business may have. Yes, we solve tax problems. Our team has been in the business of solving tax problems for so long we know how to solve tax problems before they start. We also offer tax preparation, accounting and bookkeeping services to customers who have never experienced a tax problem, they hire us in order to keep it that way!
Has Community Tax received any awards or recognition for its services your customers would like to know about?
We were selected for 2014 Illinois Excellence by USIATC (US Institute for Advancement of Trade and Commerce). Many of our practitioners have individual awards and acknowledgements as well.
How has Community Tax grown or evolved?
Our organization was founded as a tax company specializing in the resolution of tax problems, and led by in-house tax attorneys, Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and IRS enrolled agents. Since the beginning of 2010, CTAX has been a “winning” full-service tax services company dedicated to assisting taxpayers nationwide with all of their income tax needs.

Community Tax headquarters are located in Chicago, IL with several enrollment centers and partnerships throughout the country. We currently service nearly 10,000 clients nationwide. Directed by over 25 full-time licensed tax practitioners, we are currently staffed with an estimated 135 full-time employees – and we’re growing. Over the years, CTAX has evolved into much more than just a leading nationwide tax resolution and negotiation company; we have grown into a premier tax prevention service provider as well. Through the growth of our company, we’ve been able to evolve immensely through the advancement, investment, and utilization of technology to help benefit our clients’ experience from a convenience standpoint.

Community Tax Company Information