4.5/5 (67 ratings)

About Community Tax

Community Tax strives to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years, the company has helped more than 100,000 customers deal with the IRS and/or state taxing authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Pros

• Available in all 50 states
    • Impressive staff credentials
    • Free consultation

Cons

• Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

Community tax is a full-service tax company providing a wide spectrum of services, from tax prep to tax relief for individuals with $10,000 or more in tax debt. They staff enrolled agents licensed by the U.S. Department of Treasury.

What is Community Tax?

Community Tax, LLC (CTAX) is a full-service tax company that provides affordable tax services to individuals and businesses nationwide. Founded in 2010 and serving all 50 states, it is one of the leading providers of tax preparation, tax resolution, bookkeeping and accounting services.

Filing taxes and resolving tax issues can be complicated for most of us. CTAX takes pride in its staff of knowledgeable and licensed tax attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents. Enrolled agents are tax advisors licensed by the Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax issues.

Community Tax services

The IRS is bent on collecting all taxes due to the government. Non-payment of taxes, underpayment of taxes, late payment, misrepresentation and other violations of tax laws are reasons the IRS can come after you. Fortunately, CTAX provides a broad spectrum of tax services to protect yourself from the IRS' wrath. The services include the following:

Tax Preparation

All the tax preparers at CTAX are licensed with a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). If you use CTAX's services, you will be assigned a dedicated tax preparer. You will then submit a limited power of attorney to authorize the tax preparer to access your tax records at the IRS. After completing your return, the tax preparer sends it to a group of reviewers composed of seasoned CPAs. The return will be sent to you for your review and signature. Upon receipt of your signed return, CTAX will immediately file your return at the IRS.

CTAX tax preparers are diligent and accurate in identifying regular and special sources of income. They continue to educate themselves with new IRS policies and laws to determine which expenses are eligible for deductions such as:

• Higher education expenses
    • Student loan interest
    • Medical expenses
    • Mortgage interest
    • Real estate taxes
    • Charitable contributions
    • Gambling losses
    Tax Resolution

The resolution process starts with an investigation and may last from one week to one year. The CTAX investigative team analyzes your financials and IRS records. The team sends you its findings and offers the following potential solutions:

• Offers in Compromise (OIC): Taxpayers who are at the verge of financial hardship can qualify. Financial hardship means having more expenses than income. The IRS determines the maximum amount taxpayers are financially capable of paying without causing hardship. The remainder of the tax debt is forgiven.
    • Installment Agreement (IA): This method allows taxpayers to pay their tax debt balance over a period ranging from six months to 10 years.
    • Stair Step Agreement: This solution grants taxpayers the option to pay off a large expense, such as a car, with larger installments while paying smaller installments on the tax debt. After full payment of the large expense, they can then switch the entire payment to the tax balance within the next 48-60 months.
    • Streamline Installment Agreement:This tax relief is eligible for taxpayers with substantial income or assets. The actual balance must not be more than $50,000 and be payable within 60-72 months.
    • Partial Pay Installment Agreement (PPIA): Taxpayers under financial hardship are eligible for PPIA. Based on a taxpayer’s financial information, CTAX can negotiate for a hardship payment, which is less than the required monthly payment, for 10 years. The IRS has a 10-Year Statute of Limitations for the collection of past due tax debt. After 10 years, even if the taxpayer will not be able to pay the debt in full, the IRS will no longer be able to collect.
    • Conditional Expense Installment Agreement: The IRS may grant installment payments to a tax liability to allow a taxpayer to continue paying a long-term expense, such as a 401k program.
    • Traditional Installment Agreement: This arrangement allows a taxpayer to make monthly installment payments over a 10-year period based on the taxpayer’s current financial situation.
    • Currently Not Collectible Status: Taxpayers struggling with financial hardship may be completely relieved of their tax debt until such time that they are able to recover.
    • Penalty Abatement: Under this agreement, taxpayers may request for a decrease in penalties on back taxes, but they must show proof that they missed payments or made late payments for uncontrollable reasons
    Accounting

CTAX offers accounting, personalized bookkeeping and payroll services for affordable flat-rate monthly fees. The services come in these three plans:

• Bronze: The services include monthly bookkeeping, 24/7 IRS correspondence monitoring, financial reporting and bank reconciliation for one bank account and one credit card account and analysis of estimated tax payment. The package costs $99/month.
    • Silver: The package includes all the services provided by the Bronze plan, plus financial reporting and bank reconciliation for two bank accounts and two credit card accounts. This package also includes unlimited tax planning by a CPA. The plan costs $199/month.
    • Gold: The plan provides all the services included in the Silver plan, plus payroll processing and a dedicated IRS tax attorney for a fixed monthly fee to be agreed upon by CTAX and the taxpayer.
    Bookkeeping

Bookkeeping services include overseeing bank and credit card transactions, recording and adjusting journal entries, as well as preparing payroll returns, W-2’s and 1099 MISC forms. Clients are allowed to choose and seasonally adjust the services they use and only pay for the services they use.

Community Tax Assurance Program

The Community Tax Assurance Program (TAP) is designed as a prevention program to ensure that clients remain compliant and updated with tax policies to eliminate future tax problems. TAP offers the following programs:

• Access Assurance: Services include tax account monitoring, IRS alerts, helpful tax information and updates and exclusive access to TaxPal, a mobile app with 24-hour tax monitoring and alerts. The program is free.
    • Executive Assurance: The program includes all Access Assurance services plus priority servicing, direct access to tax practitioners and a dedicated case advocate. It also includes a free annual personal income tax return, free garnishment investigation, free tax-related ID theft repair and a 20 percent discount on future resolution services. The program costs $34.99/month.
    • Enterprise Access: The program includes all Executive Access services plus customized services, a designated accounting team, a free business income tax return and individualized tax planning by a highly skilled CPA. The program costs $99.99/month.

How does Community Tax work?

Community Tax services clients who need help with tax preparation or seek tax debt relief. Being a trusted tax company, CTAX strives to give the best service to clients who have back taxes, liens on their bank accounts, garnished wages or are being audited. The CTAX process consists of three main steps.

1. Information Gathering
      Experienced tax professionals will gather your financial information from you to make a tax analysis of your case, which, in turn, will help them work out the best solution to your problem. The information may include past tax returns, bank and credit card accounts, and other financial records, depending on the complexity of your tax issue.
    2. Investigation
      The investigation process involves getting access to your IRS records. You will need to provide authorization to your assigned CTAX investigator to file IRS Form 8821 or the appropriate form for the state taxing authority on your behalf to obtain a complete record of your account.
    3. Resolution
      Once the investigator completes their work, you will be presented with resolution options to consider. They have been discussed above.

Community Tax FAQ

How much does Community Tax cost?

Pricing varies and depends on the complexity of the case. Consultation is free, but the company website does not provide direct pricing information on tax debt relief. However, according to some review sites, Community Tax charges clients the following fees:

• Initial fee of $500 to $750
    • Flat fee of $2,500 and $4,500
    • $275 for W-2 returns
    • $525 for Forms 1099 and 1040
    • $1,000 for business tax returns
    Does Community Tax offer any type of guarantee?

Community Tax allows a full or partial refund for services not rendered; however, you need to discuss this with a customer satisfaction representative, as reimbursements are on a case-by-case basis.

Do we recommend Community Tax?

Community Tax is a trusted tax company employing experienced tax professionals specializing in tax issues and serving clients all over the United States. Numbers don’t lie, and with more than $600 million tax debts resolved, we recommend CTAX for taxpayers with complicated tax returns, back taxes or potential issues that may invite an audit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: March 10, 2022

I had several years of tax buildup because of an attack. It was a fraud. I had somebody file under my social. So, that really scared me from filing for several years. I had five years of taxes that I owed, and I didn't have a large amount of taxes owed. A lot of places won't deal with you unless you have over 10,000. After looking into it, it looked like Community Tax didn't really mind that. They never made me feel insignificant. They took care of everything. They passed me from person to person through the company through the different stages. I never felt like I was left in the dark. I was really blessed to find them. They did an amazing job.

Their reps were very thorough in explaining the process. I went from the first person, and then they sent me to the IRS person. She was really great. Then they sent me to my caseworker person, and she was really great, too. I stayed with her through the remainder of the process. Any questions I had, I asked her. Once everything got filed, I got on a hardship. She called me and explained to me that the taxes are still there. I was able to just put them on hold for now. I just started a business. So, that really helped me out.

I was happy with Community Tax. I was not somebody that needed to call and check-in. I didn't need a call every six days. They might not have called me for three weeks, but I knew they were working on it. When they called, it was to tell me something was moving forward. The interaction was minimal, and that was great for me. I'm a pretty busy guy. They didn't bother me unless they needed something. They didn't try to sell me anything or upsell or anything. It was pretty awesome.

James,
    Thank you for your review and rating!

Community Tax

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

I love Community Tax. They've been so good to me. I called them and I got in touch with this gentleman who was super in explaining things. He wasn't forceful and was leaving what we would decide up to us, but he told us what they could do. My husband and I talked about it and we thought, "Gosh, I hope these people are real. What if they're not?" We called them again and talked about it all over again, and he assured us that they wouldn't be in business for this long if they didn't do a good job. The main thing that they try to do is to help people. We went through the program all over again. Another week passed and we called again and he was just as nice and he still answered our phone calls. My husband and I said, "Yup, we're going to do this." It wasn't very long before we got approved for the whole situation as far as payment.

Then, a lady came on so we went through everything with her, and then the people that do the loan called to talk to be sure that we understood the perimeters of the loan and what would be involved. I have nothing but good to say. I felt like they were very professional with us and they really knew what they were talking about. Every month that I make that payment now, I'm happy to do so because I feel a relief in life. We got 17 more of them to make, but I don't have the IRS on top of us and that's the main deal. They got this done rather quickly for us and it was within a month after we started. We are glad that we were in touch with the people that we were in touch with and their patience and understanding of how we felt. They were very well-trained.

Margaret,
      Thank you for your review and rating! We are happy we could assist you!

Community Tax

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I've been very well satisfied with what they've done. Everything they sent me was needed. Everything was concise, very legible, and understanding of the legalities. There was no pressure on anything at all. Dimitria has followed up with everything and guided me through things. If I asked her a question and if she could not answer it, she had an answer for me the next time. There were some things I didn't quite understand and she put it in layman's terms to me. So I appreciated everything. She was phenomenal. She listened to everything that I had and consoled me sometimes when I was down and out. Anything that came up, she notified me as soon as it got to her desk. From the last time I spoke with her, it was nothing but a pleasant experience.

I was scared to death when I first called Community Tax. But the rep that I talked to reassured me they would do everything he could to get a solution to my situation. They did that. They were extremely generous. They charged me a fee, which was very, very fair. So, everything from the time I spoke with them to right now, I have nothing but the highest praise for them. I've told my friends if anybody in their family has anything to do with some financial, please call Community Tax. They made my Christmas. My debt's paid off, and I got a new lease. Dimitria even followed up after that and asked me how I was doing. She's always followed up with clients just to see how they weather the storm. So from A to Z, Community Tax is top drawer. In this crazy day and age, when everybody's looking at bottom line, they were looking to help me out and rectify the situation that I was in.

John,
      Thank you for your review and rating! We are happy we could assist you!

Community Tax

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

I called Community Tax and they said, "Well, let us look into it and we'll get back to you." I didn't have to pay anything, and when they came back, they said, "Okay. Well, here's what we can do. For $3,500, we can probably make this go away." That was very helpful. It was a bit of relief and they had a good payment plan. Community Tax worked with me. If something happened that I couldn't make it, they would take half of it and move the other half to the end. There are a few things on there that were squirrelly because what I understood to be the plan was, "Okay, well, you pay half of it, a minimum of half of whatever your payment is, or two-thirds." Because one time, I was like, "What? That doesn't make any sense because the first time, it was like two-thirds." Then, "If I had two-thirds, I have the third-third and I wouldn't have to worry about this."

But I understood we would stack that at the end so I would have a couple of more months. So, if I missed two months, it would have been an understanding of, "Well, I would have one more month at the end because two halves are a whole and that would have been fine." "No, it stacked as a balloon payment." So, they worked with me to fix that, but not explaining that, "Okay, this is all going to stack on to your last month. So, it won't be $300. It's gonna be $500 or $800 or whatever it is." I said, "Oh, no, no, no. That's not gonna work."

One thing that was a bother was my agent changed six times. The one guy got promoted, the rest of them I have no idea what happened. But every time I would call, I would end up with somebody different. That was a little frustrating. When I first got started, which was with my first person with them, it was a deal of, "Hey, can you send us all this paperwork?" "Well, I've been gone. I don't have any of this paperwork. However, I signed power of attorney over to you, so you can get the paperwork." So, that was a little annoying. The whole reason why I had them is so they can track this stuff down and take care of it. That's why I was paying the big bucks.

When I was an engineer before, 3,500 bucks would have been, "Okay, hang on. I'll give that to you next week." But being in the situation I was in and even still in because I'm not getting the same type of work I used to, I'm working for 40,000 where I used to work for 120,000. So, that's a significant difference. So, $3,000-some is a big deal. I expected a bit more work out of them initially of, "Hey, we're gonna send you this paper. Sign it so we can get everything we need." "Okay, let me do that." That would have been a lot better.

For the years that I was gone, and the two years that I came back and filed as a non-filer, the IRS sent me a check for 2,500 bucks, which was awesome, and they put it as a past tax refund. I tried to call them and find out where it came from, they said, "It was just your refund." I said, "Okay. I don't know what the refund for, but I'll take it." So, I'm assuming that Community Tax did that and I'm sure the IRS does nothing out of the goodness of their heart because I don't think they have one.

I appreciate what Community Tax did. I've paid the same amount I would have paid back originally, which is acceptable. The only thing that I wish I would have known before I made an arrangement is that my bill would have fallen off anyway because the way the tax law is still written, after 10 years, and if I haven't been able to pay anything on it, it's voided out anyway. So, I could have gotten away with not paying the IRS anything. So, the IRS still didn't get any money, but Community Tax got the same amount that I would have paid the IRS. And it all would have disappeared at the end of the month anyway. But Community Tax filed the paperwork to make sure that was all done right. So, it all in all turned out to be a good thing. They did good for me and they helped.

Randall,

Thank you for your rating and review.

Community Tax

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I did a google on tax, then I did the reviews and found that Community Tax had some good reviews. When I had a conversation with them the first time, they were super responsive. They were very goal-oriented in order to take care of their client and the rep, Courtney, did a superb job. They told me that the timeframe would be dependent on the information I gave, then we got down to the nitty-gritty of what the IRS was willing to accept. I had to add a caveat of my living and working situations and as soon as they heard that I would have the inability to repay anyone in the fourth year, they came out with a very positive result. In other words, I didn't have to pay any tax. It was excellent and I was very happy.

Initially, I looked for what they would propose as a potential end result and anytime they needed information, I supplied it. And at times, the results would change. Until at the very end, it came through perfectly. I would also suggest that if an individual is seeking Community Tax, he should first say that he's looking to cut his tax bill to zero. It was my fault for not saying that in the beginning, but they took care of it.

Eric,
      Thank you for your rating and review! We are happy we could assist you. We will let your team know about your comments.

Community Tax

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

The folks at Community Tax....a LIFE SAVER. When I tell you the IRS was on me, it all started with the letters. They began to come more frequent so I started looking for help. Shout out to Liberty Tax. They connected me to Community Tax. I spoke with David, I gave him my entire run down. Then he connects me to Brian, it was the 1st week I believe, that he got me squared away. He set me up with a payment plan (that I can afford). You guys I thought I owed the IRS a TON of money, I was wrong. It turned out to be half of what I thought I owed. Call Community Tax ASAP. They will help you, and answer ALL your questions. Believe me I was texting them and everything, yep they will call you back. Thank you David and Brian. I know it took me forever to write this review. #CommunityTax

Tamira,
      Thank you for your great rating and review! We will pass along your comments to your team!

Community Tax

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

My case advocate Demetria was always there for me when I was feeling down especially after receiving IRS letters. I always felt comfortable talking to her. I'm glad that they found a resolution for my tax problems. I'm forever thankful to Community Tax.

Maria,
      Thank you for your rating and review. We will pass along your comments to your team.

Community Tax

Original review: April 27, 2022

Thank you Peter **, Daniel ** and team at Community Tax, LLC. Your services are stellar. You have provided the expertise to navigate the taxing agencies achieving resolution but most importantly, the peace of mind and calm you bring from the beginning and moving through the process is priceless. Thank you again!

Marya,
      Thank you very much for your rating and review!

Community Tax

Original review: April 26, 2022

They did a very good job on my tax bill and saved me a lot of money. Was worth going with them. Would highly recommend their service. Demetria did a very good job at navigating you through the process and again saved me a ton of money and headache.

Ed,
      Thank you for your rating and review!

Community Tax

Original review: March 24, 2022

The rep I work with knows how to expedite my account appropriately. Also, he makes me feel assured and very comfortable. But there were reps I had to go through who weren't returning my messages and calls and I found that to be very uncomfortable. Other than that, working with Community Tax shortened all the footsteps I had to take to get where I had to get and what I got.

Shena,
      We appreciate your review and rating!

Community Tax Company Information