toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Community Tax

Thank you, Charlotte! This is always great to hear! We are glad we could help.

Original review: March 4, 2017

We were audited by the IRS and we were left with a huge balance. I contacted Community Tax and have been working with them for a long time. My balance was $398,000 and our payoff is $31,000. It took a long time but Community Tax did a great job. The communication was great too. I always talk with their staff, Daniel and I told him that once we get this off from the IRS and we get this done, I would be more than happy to provide a testimonial. We're almost finished with the program and we've gotten approval. We're just waiting for the last letter which is going to be here in the next 30 days.

Community Tax

Thank you for the kind words, Israel! Please let us know if you need anything in the future!

Original review: March 3, 2017

Community Tax is doing very well for me. I've paid it all and still waiting for the one letter to finish the case. I recommend them.

Had a tax situation with back taxes owed. Reached out to them to see my options. Told the first person I talked to I was not interested in a tax lien. Just wanted to set up payments at the lowest amount possible...after agreeing I gave them $700 to get started...they reviewed and came back and said I could either pay the amount in full or I could amend the tax returns to cut the cost and make payments with a TAX LIEN for $6500. $6500 to amend 2 tax returns? Talked to 3 different people who kept giving me the runaround and basically I just chalked it up as a loss. They took my $700 and didn't do anything but gain power of attorney and requested transcripts. Total ripoff. I hired an accountant and my problem was solved without a tax lien.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I owed a chunk of change for Federal and I was pregnant at that time so I tried Community Tax. At first, they kept up with the phone calls and then they slacked off towards the end. But their service was good. They were on top of everything. I'm actually at the last piece of the settlement, so I just have to send my last money order in with the IRS and then they should be closing the case.

Community Tax

Hi Randolph! We are glad we were able to reduce your tax balance,and that you were happy with our staff! As far as the IRS seizing tax refunds, this should only happen with the return filed in the year the Offer was accepted. We'd be happy to explain in more detail, can you please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction Department at 773-577-2938? Thank you!

Original review: March 8, 2017

Community Tax was recommended to me and they did all right. I went with them to see if they could get my tax debt relief down from what I was being charged for. They were able to do that but they’re still taking my taxes so I'm still not satisfied. The staff at Community Tax has been great though.

Community Tax

We are so happy we could help, James! Please let us know if there is anything we can do in the future!

Original review: March 5, 2017

I had a social security disability settlement and the government thought that it would be a great idea to tax me on a bunch of money I didn't have. They thought I had $23,000 to pay them. But that's not going to happen. Then I researched online and looked at a couple of reviews. I didn't shop around and Community Tax seem to fit the bill anyway. They did an awesome job and I appreciate it. I got a $250 check I'm sending off tomorrow to the IRS and then we're done. Once I paid the settlement, they decided to put a lien on me. Once they put it on, I can't just have it taken off, so I'll play the game as it goes. Once the lien comes off, the report itself will repair itself.

I never really had a negative experience, I knew the predicament I was in and then the fees were high but they were going to be high regardless. That was the situation I made. When attorneys are doing things, it is what it is. I've been treated with nothing but respect. They were all helpful. I have many friends too that are in the same shape I was but every once in awhile, I bump into people that are getting ready or in the middle of a disability settlement that I would be more than happy to send it off. I've got Community Tax on my computer.

Community Tax

Hi Laurette! Sometimes the best resolutions take the longest. We are glad we were able to help you. Please feel free to reach out to our Customer Satisfaction department at 773-577-2938 if there is anything else we can do to help!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I had some bad taxes that I needed to file so I sought the help of Community Tax. It was very extreme and expensive in retrospect. I probably wouldn’t do it again because it was just too much money. But what was intriguing about it was the fact that I can get rid of the tax debt and I could clear with time. It took about two and a half years with the whole process to finally got taken care of. So, the compromise went through and all I have to pay was $500.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Community Tax

We love seeing feedback like this,Kelvin! We are so glad we could help! Feel free to give us a call come tax season!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

Working with Community Tax for my tax problem was a long process, but I put my trust in them that they would get it rectified. I got denied on my first time but they stayed with me. They kept working with me and they submitted it again and then got it approved. They got my taxes reduced from $35,000 down to just $5,000. A lot of people told me it won't work but they got it to work. They took care of me.

Community Tax

Hi Luis! We are glad you had a good experience with us. We'd love to look at your case and see if we can move things along quicker, or help with your 2016 taxes. Can you give us a call at 773-577-2020?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I've had a good experience with Community Tax, although they haven't helped me get rid of my tax issues yet because I sent in the money to the IRS.

Community Tax

Hi Victor! We are so glad we could help, and we really appreciate your feedback! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you in the future!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I was in a big problem and a struggle with the IRS because they wanted to do a lot of things wrong. The taxes were okay but I didn't have enough tools to respond to them because they were all attorneys in taxes and it's difficult for people like me to fight with them, so I used Community Tax because they are specialists in different areas and they can help me.

I speak with Community Tax every time I have a question and they're helping me a lot, so everything has gone smoothly. Also, they give me the opportunity to pay as soon as I have money. They are polite and ready to help me. It was easy to communicate with the case manager and exciting to have somebody speak in my language because it's terrible to express so much terms in income tax and to have no knowledge about the taxes law. I've successfully completed the Community Tax program and last year between December 20 and 26, I sent the money-order or check to the IRS and I followed the tracks by USPS, and they received it on the 27th. I'm waiting for the last communication from the IRS that they received the check and they have to conclude my case.

Community Tax

We are so glad we were able to help, Debbie! Thank you so much for the great review and the recommendations! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help in the future!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I owed the IRS almost $10,000 and I needed help to pay it since I didn't have the money. I called Community Tax and they assured me with confidence that they would be able to help me. They also did pretty good in getting back and forth with me during the year to tell me what the next step was and they were able to resolve my tax issue. It was a pretty good experience and I have recommended a few of my friends to them that owe taxes and don't know what to do.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had problems before on my taxes. A lot of companies called me trying to get me to come in but I chose to work with Community Tax. The company does an excellent job for my taxes. It takes a few months or maybe a little bit longer but it's perfect. Everything's working good.

Community Tax

Hi WIlliam! Thank you for the feedback. We apologize that your case took as long as it did, there are several reasons that cases, especially settlement cases, can take some time. As far as the details of your resolution, the settlement amount and how to make the payment to the IRS, we'd be happy to help! Can you please give our Customer Satisfaction department a call at 773-577-2938? Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

My experience with Community Tax was fine. However, the process took over a year. Apparently, the IRS settled but they haven’t sent me any way to pay them so I’ve got to do all that. I paid everything upfront which was supposed to expedite everything.. They told me it would take three to six months, but they’ve taken over a year, and that was a little unnerving. I was disappointed as it was a simple situation. Other than that, everybody was very friendly in answering my questions.

Community Tax

We are so glad to hear this, Carmen! Thank you for sharing your experience! If you ever need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

My Community Tax representative gave me clear and concise details of available options; gave me the financial parameters to achieve the necessary goal; was always available or returned calls promptly and was so professional that the process ALMOST seemed painless! I am currently awaiting a response from the IRS on the last leg of resolving my tax issues! I wish I had the foresight to seek assistance years earlier!! I did not think I'd ever get my back taxes resolved. I had very little income and couldn't afford to pay for help; more importantly, I couldn't afford NOT TO! I bit the bullet and went without A LOT! Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel as well as having the stress of an unimaginable debt nearing completion! Thank you, Community Tax, ever so much for your aid and intervention. I am eternally grateful and thankful.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Jan. 19, 2017

I have satisfactorily resolved this issue with the Community Tax outside Consumer Affairs.

Community Tax

Hello! We sincerely apologize that you are unhappy with the service you received. Community Tax strives to ensure that every client walks away satisfied. We'd really like the chance to revisit your case, and see if there is anything else we can do. Can you please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction department at 773-577-2938? Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

Community Tax spent months asking IRS to send documents I already have. By the time we got most of the documents, they asked me to pay on top of the initial $1,250 payment I made with absolutely nothing to show for it. Nothing happened at both state and federal levels. Now, I'm forced to look for a better tax lawyer to help resolve my IRS and tax liability issues. Truly disappointed with the level of service received from a company I thought was world class!

Community Tax

We are so glad to hear this, Eusebio! Thank you for sharing your experience! If you ever need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out. Happy New Year!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I was on debt with the IRS so I called Community Tax and they helped me a lot. It's been two years that I've been working with them and they performed an excellent job. We’re already complete with the program and I'm on resolution with the IRS. I'm just waiting for the IRS to send me the last notice.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was very satisfied with Community Tax. I heard more about them than any other places and to me, it sounded like they were the better one to deal with. At that time I couldn't live on my wage garnishment so I contacted them. Everybody was okay and they worked well with me. I didn't have any problems with anyone who called and talked to me. I would recommend them to anybody.

Community Tax

Thank you for the feedback, Glen! We are so happy we were able to help. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything in the future!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

I had a long but good experience with Community Tax. The program was completed in 2 years. I wanted to get rid of the IRS and they have helped me out many times getting my debt documents to the right places and making sure I send it. There were plenty of text messages and they all did a great job.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called Community Tax and we received a very professional service. They are awesome. They handled my case so good and in a timely manner. And they told me how things are gonna be. In fact, my case has been closed already. They sent me a letter letting me know about how our compromise was accepted. I’m already back in my payment. So, I’m out of a very stressful situation. They did a very professional and wonderful job. I've worked with a couple of companies and they just scammed my money. They took the money I forked out for this other case. But with Community Tax, they told me straight up from the beginning until the end that the case was completed and closed. Whatever they requested me to do, I furnished to them and they handled it. They follow through to let you know what’s gonna happen.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I needed some help because my taxes caught up and wasn't filed on time. I have completed their program and I'm now filed up-to-date. I'm in the clear and I thank God for Community Tax. They did everything that they told me they were going to do to help me. I was skeptical at first because it was an out-of-town deal for me but it all turned out to be awesome.

Community Tax

Hi Brayner! We are so happy we were able to help! It means a lot to us when our clients help to spread the word about Community Tax. Thank you for the feedback!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

I had a problem with the IRS for my tax and Community Tax has done a great job in resolving my tax issues. I'm in the last step of my process right now. Everybody I talked to was great. They knew what they were doing. What I liked more is that they had a record, because when I called and talked to a different person that person would know what I told the last person. Everybody knows how every case is going, I would recommend Community Tax to friends.

Community Tax

Thank you for the feedback, Sandy! We are so glad we were able to help. Best of luck in building your business, and please let us know if you need anything in the future!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

I had been making payments to the IRS for several years because I’m a 1099 employee. And recently, my agent and I went out on my own so therefore my income went to almost zero. I knew right then I was not able to make my payments. So instead of me trying to deal with the IRS and have the worries of trying to build my business and then dealing with the IRS on top of that, I decided to let somebody else handle it for me so I could focus on my business. And I was pleased with everything Community Tax had done for me. They were good about touching base with me and following up. They did an awesome job. Everybody was courteous and accommodating.

The IRS did offer acceptance. I just got my paperwork in and got a verbal acceptance a few months ago. I’ve made one payment so I have four more payments to go for the final offer and acceptance. And it’s taken almost five years to do it. I don’t blame that on Community Tax. I just blame it on the IRS because of miscommunication.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was looking for someone to straighten my taxes out. Community Tax was the first one I called and they responded so I just stayed with them. I had no problems with them at all. Everybody I worked with was on time and everything worked out well. We have successfully completed the Community Tax program to resolve my tax issues. They worked out everything like they told me. Everything went the way they said it would go. I've already recommended them to a couple of friends and they’ve all been satisfied.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Somebody told me he was having a good experience at Community Tax so I tried it out and they've been accurate on everything they said. Everything was good with Community Tax. I did what they told me. They made things clear and everything went pretty quick and smooth. The girl who was doing the job pushed things through and would always call and tell me what was getting ready to happen. Within a week, here it was just like what she said. I'd recommend Community Tax to everybody. They did real good and I got what I needed to get done and I'm back where I should be.

Community Tax

Hi Rafael! We're so glad we were able to help! With thousands of clients, we have different team members that help with each part of a case, to make sure things move as quickly and efficiently as possible. We apologize if this caused any frustration along the way, and we appreciate the feedback!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2016

A friend recommended Community Tax to me. I contacted them to see if they can help me out to solve the issue. I was trying to get a hold of the IRS and it was such a hassle for me to do it. The last time I heard from Community Tax was a couple of months ago. The whole project is almost done and we're just waiting for the final resolution, the letter from the IRS.

The only issue I have is that I've had to talk to so many agents, and the changes in the people handling my case dragged it out a lot. Next month, it will be two years since it started. They lose their agents here and there. so I was talking to somebody different every time. It would really help if there was the same person or a couple of people at most that would be handling my situation. It's like explaining the whole thing again and there were about four times when I faxed over the same papers twice because somebody would call me and say they need this and I'm like, "Wait a second. I just sent it yesterday." The agent would say, "Oh, sorry to bother you," and it was already somebody new picking up from where the previous agent left off when he left. It got annoying and frustrating, and was a big issue for me, and I wasn't very happy about it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Community Tax helped me out. I paid them a lot of money, they delivered and I was more than happy with what they did. Their rep ensured me that he would do something, and he went above and beyond. Everything that they have done for me was worth every penny. I recommend them all the time. It’s great for everybody out here that doesn’t know what Community Tax knows.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'd still be owing money if I didn't go with Community Tax. I was in trouble because the guy that did my taxes didn't do it the right way. I then owed a certain amount of dollars and couldn’t pay it so I needed something to help me. I completed the Community Tax program, and I only have to pay off $500 by the 30th and I'll be straight. The team I have from Community was excellent. I’m gonna be dealing with them for a minute even after I pay this. Come next year I may end up filing my taxes with them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was in trouble with the IRS, and Community Tax helped resolve my issues. I had to send $100 to the IRS the last time and that was it. Everybody was real nice at Community Tax. I've used them to do my taxes for the last two years and everything came out good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to do a settlement with the IRS. Community Tax did what they said they would do and I'll be sending the IRS $500 to be completely finished. The only bad thing about the experience was dealing with Community Tax. This included not being able to get someone on the phone, interactions which were super difficult, and keeping up with whoever was taking care of whatever for me. They switched me a couple of times.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Oct. 5, 2016

Community Tax has contacted me. I will continue to use their services. We have resolved our issues.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

Signed Nov 2015 for Community Tax to deal with my IRS issue. They did file my simple tax return. I sent them the info in March 2015. They still had to file an extension. Then in July they require an original signed 1040. So, in Aug they required another because of employee issues. I call Community Tax for an update and have to leave a voicemail. They never return my calls. As of Sept 30, 2016, still have not had a return call, message or email. Requested to refund my $6000.00.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I tried solving my problems on my own in the beginning. That was for the one year and it was at a reasonable amount that I owed them. And then when the next year came along, it was even worse. So then, I was in way over my head. I'm done with the Community Tax program and got my Offer in Compromise accepted by the IRS. I just haven't been able to pay it yet. So I'm working on gathering the money and should be able to write them a check to get it all cleared up in November.

The people at Community Tax have all been really great. But it was frustrating that I had to go through several different powers of attorney. Someone who got it signed would leave and go to another position. And so, within my time frame of being there, I had four different powers of attorney. Other than that, it was good. I was terrified but everyone there made it seem like it was no big deal. And I said, "Do you understand that I owe $30,000?" And the replied, "Yes. We do. That is a lot of money but there's a lot of people out there that owe a whole lot more than you do." It was really hard for me and they made me in the beginning feel like they didn't understand how serious it was. I think it was because they deal with it every day and this was my first time so I was probably overreacting. They were able to calm me down. They worked really well and I was very happy with them. I would definitely recommend them.

There is NO better company at tax resolution. They keep you informed and up to date on everything. Yes, it took 18 months but Jennifer is beyond amazing. She never promised me anything, but she delivered above and beyond. I had misgivings from the start, but every week and month that went by I felt like I was the only client she had. The IRS is not fun, and the amount I owed was scary. I walked away with a $500 resolution. "Stunned" is the word. I say nothing but thank you to Jenn and her staff. I can not ever repay her for my life given back to me. Thanks Jenn.

Question and Answers - Community Tax

What problem is Community Tax trying to solve?

Community Tax works everyday to solve our clients’ tax problems – plain and simple. We offer solutions for common problems like tax debts, unfiled returns, audits, liens, garnishments, payroll taxes, accounting and bookkeeping issues.

Community Tax is already attempting to capture client feedback on a real-time basis. We want a steady stream of positive feedback in our online and media presence, but we also want to capture potential issues that one or more clients experience in order to help ensure future clients can avoid those same experiences. We are always open, evaluating and modifying processes to suit our client’s needs. Client feedback – good or bad – is the strongest tool we have to point us in the right direction. Every company has problems, it’s how you address those problems that sets you apart from your competition.

What sets Community Tax apart from the competition?

In regards to solving tax problems, Community Tax has a two-phase approach to addressing our client’s tax liability. Many tax companies initially offer a proposed one-time flat fee to resolve a client’s tax problem after just one phone call with the client, and often request thousands of dollars in return. Each taxpayer's situation is unique and we complete an investigation to determine the scope of their tax problem in regard to balances, filing requirements, audits, etc. We also perform a financial analysis to predetermine what government programs the client may be eligible for. This service is offered at a small investment to our clients, usually around $400-$500.

We’re aware much of our competition has adopted the two-phase approach as well, however we have seen and heard they can often charge double what we ask – for the same “stated” investigation service. We’ll often go beyond the operational cost we incur to perform our investigation service and we do this to deliver the best possible recommendation for our clients on every case, regardless if they choose to move forward with retaining CTAX to achieve that solution.

We maintain in-house technology and processes allowing us to complete a thorough investigation and analysis within days when many of competitors take weeks to perform the same service. This is an added value to any client who is trying to avoid collection activity with the IRS, as time is typically of the essence. When the investigation is complete we present the client with any tax returns that must be filed, which government program he is eligible for and exactly what it will cost the customer (in fees) if they choose to have Community Tax handle their resolution strategy. The client has the option to move forward with our tax preparation services and negotiation, or not.

Finally, we feel Community Tax is one of the few, (possibly only) tax relief companies maintaining an internal compliance department to proactively monitor our teams for quality assurance. We feel it’s essential to ensure consistency and accuracy with the tax services we offer clients as we primarily conduct business with customers from all across the country by phone, email and fax, rather than face-to-face.

What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

In addition to the speed and cost of our investigation service, we also have tailored investigation services addressing specific IRS collection actions, such as active garnishments and audit situations. However, we really feel the most significant and beneficial edge our company delivers to our clients, is the on-going annual tax assistance service(s) after we are done negotiating and establishing their final resolution. We want to ensure our clients complete the resolution program we established in full so they never get into a similar situation in the future – and we want to handle all of their income tax needs for the rest of their lives.

How does Community Tax measure success?

We evaluate the number of resolutions we achieve for our clients, as well as the savings we may have been able to obtain on each case. However, only until a resolution is achieved and we receive notification of a positive client experience behind the service we delivered, can we ultimately acknowledge it as a “successful case.”

We are always trying to become more efficient in our process. During the resolution phase of our tax relief program, there is a need for a significant amount of interaction between our office and the client in the course of preparing taxes and negotiating a resolution. Unfortunately, it’s not always convenient for the client to speak to us when we would like to update or request something specifically regarding their file. In retaining feedback from our clients about this specific phase of our service, we were able to address their concerns and their feedback was the ultimate driving factor in implementing our current SMS client communication system, which is now available and utilized on every case we service. Our clients now receive updates on everything from the status of their case to payment reminders.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the tax relief industry?

The settlement programs available from taxing authorities are eligibility-based using the most current financial data. Without properly evaluating, analyzing (or investigating) into the taxpayers individual situation, no honest tax advisor could confirm a solution to one’s tax problem. Unfortunately, a settlement of tax debt is advertised by many as a one-size-fits-all solution. For the record, there are a multitude of ways one could reduce an actual tax liability, but it depends specifically on the individual circumstances of the tax debt and the taxpayer. Our investigation uncovers and evaluates every option an individual may have at resolving their debt in order to educate the clients on all of their resolution options.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

Competition in the tax relief industry has grown tremendously. States have become far more aggressive in their collection efforts and unfortunately, depending on the state, there are typically fewer resolutions options available to clients when compared to the IRS. On the reverse, the IRS has put forth initiatives to allow for lien removals and relaxed some of their program qualifications in an effort to promote taxpayer compliance and resolution.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Community Tax?

CTAX has a variety of tax solution services to handle any type of income tax need an individual or business may have. Yes, we solve tax problems. Our team has been in the business of solving tax problems for so long we know how to solve tax problems before they start. We also offer tax preparation, accounting and bookkeeping services to customers who have never experienced a tax problem, they hire us in order to keep it that way!

Has Community Tax received any awards or recognition for its services your customers would like to know about?

We were selected for 2014 Illinois Excellence by USIATC (US Institute for Advancement of Trade and Commerce). Many of our practitioners have individual awards and acknowledgements as well.

How has Community Tax grown or evolved?

Our organization was founded as a tax company specializing in the resolution of tax problems, and led by in-house tax attorneys, Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and IRS enrolled agents. Since the beginning of 2010, CTAX has been a “winning” full-service tax services company dedicated to assisting taxpayers nationwide with all of their income tax needs.

Community Tax headquarters are located in Chicago, IL with several enrollment centers and partnerships throughout the country. We currently service nearly 10,000 clients nationwide. Directed by over 25 full-time licensed tax practitioners, we are currently staffed with an estimated 135 full-time employees – and we’re growing. Over the years, CTAX has evolved into much more than just a leading nationwide tax resolution and negotiation company; we have grown into a premier tax prevention service provider as well. Through the growth of our company, we’ve been able to evolve immensely through the advancement, investment, and utilization of technology to help benefit our clients’ experience from a convenience standpoint.

Community Tax Company Profile