Call toll free
4.40/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Community Tax, we strive to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years we have assisted tens of thousands of taxpayers in dealing with the IRS and/or State Taxing Authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns, to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Our office is staffed with dedicated licensed tax professionals that will work with you to customize a tax strategy for both the present and the future. We look forward to working with you for all your tax needs.

Illinois CPA Society
Non-CPA Asosciate Member of AICPA
Illinois Chamber of Commerce
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

470 Community Tax Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 12, 2019

A big THANK YOU to everyone at Community Tax. You are true professionals, courteous and friendly. Always willingly to answer questions and explain my case to me. Thanks for the courtesy calls. Returned calls, emails and text messages keeping me abreast of everything. Don't know what I would've done without you. Tessa **. Matthew **, Tim **, Nate. Emir **, Thank you so much. With years of unfiled taxes. I didn't know which way to turn. You guys did it all and got my taxes fixed so I don't have to pay back taxes or worry anymore.

Community Tax response

Hi Cletra! We are so glad you had a great experience! We will pass your feedback along to your tax team. We really appreciate it! Please let us know if there is anything we can help you with in the future!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I received a letter from the IRS stating that I owe them a couple of thousands of dollars. I started looking for help. Every year I was filing my taxes, they were taking my taxes, so I needed to get a hold of the situation. I did some research on Community Tax and made a phone call. I ended up enrolling in the program that day. They were able to settle my tax debt.

Danielle of Community Tax was very helpful to me. I came up with a set amount that I would be able to pay them monthly, and I set it up where they automatically just pull the money out of my account monthly, so I didn’t have to deal with it. They kept me informed of everything that was going on. Every two months or every 60 days, I would get a phone call from Danielle basically giving me update as well. The last phone call that I received from her, she stated that my case was closed. I was like, “Closed?” She was like, “Yeah, we did it. It’s closed.” She asked, “How much you think we were able to settle for?” And I’m thinking it was gonna be a couple of thousands of dollars. When she said $100, I said, “You need to say that number again.” I was very pleased and happy with the service.

I was worried about certain things I wanted to purchase and if the IRS was gonna come in and just take everything. So after I started reading and getting familiar with some of the legal terminology everything was in a holding pattern. I wanted to buy a truck, and I said, “I’m not gonna buy a truck until after everything is settled.” So I’m going this weekend to purchase myself a truck. Community Tax relieved a lot of stress off of me.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Gregory! We are so glad we could help get you a great resolution. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything in the future!

Original review: April 4, 2019

I am extremely satisfied with the service I got From Community Tax!!! The BEST decision I ever made!!! Derrick ** was EXTREMELY PROFESSIONAL, UNDERSTANDING and ALWAYS willing to help solve ALL of my questions and concerns!!! He ALWAYS went the extra mile!!! I highly recommend this community!!! Ask for Derrick ** to be your personal advisor to solve ALL of your needs!!!

Community Tax response

Hi Jenny! Thank you so much for the kind words, we really appreciate it! We are so happy we could help!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Community Tax advertised and I went with them. Though I had to fill out a few things, the enrollment process was not too difficult. They're now working on my tax case in Chicago. I have already paid them out, and they’re doing a good job. They’re also working with IRS, and they’re able to get us some benefits from it. The last time I went through the program, there was some amount that I needed to pay the IRS. But I somehow got mixed up and forgot to ask them about our lost paperwork. It was a small amount that they were asking for, and we just started, so we had to start it fresh. When we first started it last year, I got them paid off and still working between them and IRS. They’ll take 2018 taxes, and then we’ll start getting it back, but we have to make sure we file before or on time within the next five years. Overall, I would recommend Community Tax to a friend.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the positive feedback, Thomas! We really appreciate it! Please give us a call if you need anything in the future!

Original review: April 2, 2019

When I was in San Diego an old man told me that I didn't have to pay the taxes until every three years. I listened to him and by the time I reached the fourth year, the IRS said that that was only if they owed me, but if I owed them, I gotta pay. By the time I was able to negotiate with them, the debt kept quickly piling up and I couldn’t stop it. Then I heard the commercial of Community Tax. They told me that I'd be okay and to just pay 4,000. I paid 400 a month to pay Community Tax and they kept in touch with me. They emailed and texted me a lot.

Enrolling with Community Tax was really easy. I can’t have a phone on the unit at one of the jobs I work at. I told them they could text me to keep in touch with me and they did. I spoke to numerous people and their reps were really good at communicating, not just with me, but with each other. That was key so that they'd all be on the same page. And that was what I really liked. Moreover, my interactions with them were very professional and fun.

I’m done with the program and just have to pay the IRS $80. In the beginning, when I paid Community Tax everything and went through the part where the IRS had lost my information, Community Tax told me to re-fax everything. Luckily, I keep receipts and copies. I re-sent everything and they kept calling IRS and IRS finally okayed everything. They went down from however much I owed to 100. The 20 I paid earlier was included and they said to just pay the $80 before May 5th. I had a great experience with Community Tax. They are the LL Cool J of tax assistance. Community Tax helped me out a lot and I’m glad they are in my hometown so I can brag. I have already recommended them to somebody.

Community Tax response

Hi Avery! Thank you so much for the feedback, we are so glad that you had a great experience with us, and that we were able to get you into a great resolution! Please don't hesitate to give us a call if you need anything in the future! Thanks again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: March 30, 2019

Community Tax is currently helping me negotiate a tax debt. So far everything has been going good. Elisabel ** is the person helping me out on my case and she is amazing. She is very friendly, always answers any question or doubt I might have, always keeps me informed and update on my case. Hoping everything comes out great at the end. Thanks Elisabel ** and Community Tax for your help.

Community Tax response
Thanks for the kind words, Esmeralda! We think Elisabel is pretty great too!

We will pass your feedback along to her and the rest of your tax team.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Four years ago we got in some tax issues with the IRS! On the Radio, I heard their ad and was interested in seeing what they had to offer. When I called the person that answered the phone said (after I explained our issue) That they would cut our tax burden down by 80-90% and that no fines or interest would be charged or no tax lien filed. That was not true all have come in, my tax debt went up $30K for fines and interest, and there is a tax lien on our home. I have paid them over $8K to handle my tax issue, and they sent me a text saying that I owe the total amount with all the fines and interest and here is your payment of (X amount). No brakes. Nothing! Today I have a scheduled meeting for 9 AM and no one has called to say sorry were are running late. It might be time for the Iowa and Ill Attorney General to get involved.

Community Tax response

Michael, we are so sorry you are unhappy, and we would like to do whatever we can to make things right! A member of our Customer Satisfaction team just reached out to you and left a voicemail. Can you please give us a call back or email us? We would really like the opportunity to address your concerns, and get things back on track. Thank you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 21, 2019

I paid approx $5,000 for some resolution of my $41,000 tax problem. I have never received a receipt for the amount I paid them, and not only did I not get a resolution, but we are going on the fourth year and now they are offsetting my wife's taxes for my debt and we have never filed jointly. They have taken her taxes for 2017 and 2018. Disappointed is too nice a word to describe my experience. Considering a lawsuit is a better description.

Community Tax response

Samuel, we are so sorry that this happened, and we would really like to take a closer look at your case to see what we can do to help. I show that our Customer Satisfaction team has reached out, and is working with you to get this resolved. If you have any questions, you can reach them directly. Thank you!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I talked to one representative who would not answer my question about what they charge or even give any kind of a ballpark. I ended the conversation and then a boss called me and then he would not give me any information as to the cost and then he told me he didn't want to take me as a client even when I was being very polite with him. That's not how I do business.

Community Tax response

Mark, we are so sorry that you had a negative experience. We assure you this is not how we do business, and we'd like to take another look at your case to see what we can do to make things right. Can you please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction team to provide some more detail about what happened, and allow us to help? Thank you!

Original review: March 14, 2019

Community Tax has an excellent program and the people there are wonderful. The enrollment process was simple and easy, and they instantly responded back if there was a question that they needed to do some research upon. It was also researched in a timely manner. The tax agent I worked with was excellent. Not only did he keep me informed of the process, he explained too that if I go into the process, I would have to be more patient as I was a bit leary and I was impatient at first. He guided me through the whole process. In addition to that, he was able to reduce the amount I owed with an offer of a compromise agreement. Working with Community Tax got me to start to get back to my life. The program lowered the amount I owed to the Internal Revenue tremendously. I would recommend them to anybody.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Yolla! We're so glad we could help. We hope you'll give us a call again again come tax time!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I had four years in back taxes and Community Tax offered an Offer in Compromise. The experience was good in the beginning and the end. But the middle was not that great. I will give the person who was doing my initial taxes a poor rating. She listed multiple things wrong that I then had to have corrected. She didn't do a good job until I escalated the issue about the tax information but once I did, they got better.

The Offer in Compromise was approved and I got the information that stated that for five years, I need to be doing everything on time. I had some questions with my follow-up guy to know if there is anything else I would need to do immediately. But I’m in the process of compiling my 2018 taxes so that is something that’s in process. With this recent Offer in Compromise, the impact is positive because I'm not owing that money to the IRS. It happened to have aggressive action like that. So from that end, for that peace of mind, there is no dollar attached to that.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the feedback, Candace! We are so happy that we could help you reach a great resolution with the IRS. However, we are sorry that you had a poor experience with your tax preparer. We would like to address this and make things right. Could you please give our Customer Satisfaction team a call to discuss in more detail? Thank you!

Original review: March 2, 2019

I hired CT in 2012 to solve my tax problem. At the time I was recovering from Cancer, I struggled to pay them with SSA benefits. I asked for an offer in compromise. The interviewing case manager talked about putting me in non-collectible status. Anyone that's eligible for this can do this on their own with income and expense proof through a form 433. You don't need a tax company for this. However the lawyer said their job was done after this which costed me about 5300.00 due to the size of my owed tax.

First of all they didn't tell me I wouldn't qualify for an OIC. They let me believe that my case was being worked on. They kept changing lawyers, I probably spoke to an attorney about 5 times total and this only happened after I threatened to go public and report them. Most of the calls were from case managers who left repeated voicemail calls requesting the same information that was faxed to them. When I returned the calls many of the persons answering the phone had difficulty finding my file. I was faxing information from home and my job. Please, please someone investigate this company because they are not being truthful with everyone. They write the fancy contracts and are trapping vulnerable individuals when they are at their lowest.

Community Tax response

Germaine, we are sorry that you have had a negative experience. Our Customer Satisfaction team is investigating your case, and will reach out to you soon. We would like to do whatever we can to make things right.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Jennifer ** was our practitioner. Sometimes during the resolution of a tax case there can be some bumps in the road. Her experience and and knowledge made the process smooth. She was there every step of the way, and stayed right with us through the completion of our case.

Community Tax response

Thank you so much for the feedback, Joel! We are so glad that you had a great experience with Jennifer! We think she is pretty great too! Please don't hesitate to reach out if there is anything we can help with in the future!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I needed help with taxes then I heard that Community Tax was effective. Their enrollment process was not difficult but for the power of attorney, they made the authorization more than once because the period might have expired. They also got a compromise for me which was very good. It took me some time but they gave excellent service. I worked with agents but a specific agent did most of the work and was very competent in providing the report. When Community Tax started my program, I used to pay them on a monthly basis but I took care of the complete payment before it was finalized. Since then, I have completed the program and found them to be effective. I would recommend anyone to them.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the amazing feedback, Florence! We are so glad that you were satisfied, and got a great resolution! Please feel free to give us a call if you need anything in the future!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

In less than six months they resolved my case. Exceeded my expectations definitely. Do not hesitate to seek help if you have any kind of tax problems in the Texas. Believe is the solution to all your tax problems.

Community Tax response

We are so happy that you had a great experience, Jose! Thanks for the review. We appreciate it! If you need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

If I could give a 0 I would because they don’t deserve even a 1. Save your money, the money you pay the suckers you could use towards your IRS debt or a private person to help you. I’ve had to tell them what forms to fill out for example the EIC; in the tax world you’d think that’s common knowledge. I was told they didn’t fill it because it’s not worth their time. Well I paid your ** - IDC if it’s a $1, it’s my damn $1. They are nothing but thieves that will rob you!!

Community Tax response

Jessica, we are so sorry that you've had this experience, we'd like to take a look at your case, address your concerns, and see what we can do to help! Can you please give our Customer Satisfaction team a call or email us? We want to do whatever we can to make things right! Thank you

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I paid close to $2500 for Community Tax services to help me with my $30,000 tax debt. Yes, they prolonged the IRS from garnishing my wages but my debt amount remains the same by the penny. If I had known I could have saved my $2500 and requested payment plans my damn self. All those commercials talking about "we will help lower your debt" whatever. I do not recommend.

Community Tax response

Hi Teresa. We're sorry that you a poor experience, and are unhappy with the resolution we reached. We'd really like to re-open your case, take another look, and do whatever we can to help! Please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction Team. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Hi. Saul and Edwin are really amazing. They helped me get in line with my back taxes. Things I couldn't do myself. As skeptical I was in the beginning they won me over. I'm going to continue my business with them going forward. Thank you again. You made my new year a good one!!!

Community Tax response

Hey Alisa! We're so glad we could help. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate them! Happy New Year to you!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We sought Community Tax services as a recommendation to pay my husband’s taxes. During the process, we talked to nice people. Their employees were professional and handled my call. My husband owed 14,000 and they got it down to 6,000. The process took us two years. The cost of their service was good and we paid it. They just took their down payment and worked with us.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the positive feedback, Juanita! We are so glad we could get you such a great resolution! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything in the future! Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

After being left hanging by another tax service who took my money and did nothing so that my wages were garnished, I called Community. I paid them the investigation fee, was told they had financing. Was told that once a garnishment was in place there was nothing that could reduce or lift it except to resolve the tax issue (I live in Texas and I record ALL of my calls).

I called the IRS and it took me all day, but I got them to reduce the garnishment to $189 instead of 80% of my pay. So, misinformation right off the bat. Then I was called by another one of their people who asked me to send him my pay stubs. I impressed upon him that there was a December 23rd deadline for filing the three returns that needed to be filed or they would again garnish my wages at 80%. I let him know that I have a medical hardship. He assured me that he would call me back after receiving my pay records and that getting the returns filed by the 23rd wouldn't be a problem. I never heard back from him.

So, I call to follow up the next day only to be met by a recording saying he would be out of the office until the 26th. So, between the two tax companies, I have spent close to $6000 trying to get someone to help me and get this resolved. I have nothing left. I'm flat broke and now I have to figure out how to do this myself on a VERY short deadline. You are better off just contacting the IRS and working with them yourself to resolve the issue.

Community Tax response

Hi Marie, We are so sorry that this happened. It looks like our Customer Satisfaction team has reached out to you, and we were able to get things resolved, and your case back on track! Thank you for the feedback, it really helps us to improve! We are so glad we could get this resolved for you! Happy Holidays!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I had a tax burden. At that time, I lived in Puerto Rico and the Puerto Rico government did some sketchy things in regards to my taxes that also reflected on the federal taxes on the IRS. That was my main concern because the IRS was claiming a certain amount of money that I’m counting that I could not produce. At that time, Community Tax was the best option that I could think of from the research that I have performed online. I had a tax debt relief program and the process took five years, but it was the process. You cannot evade the process because it is programmed in that manner. Nonetheless, Community Tax did everything they could in that span of years.

The rep was very nice in handling the situation. The situation requires a certain level of understanding and when you go through the process, you feel really, really bad because it seems like a never-ending situation. To me, facing this was really, really hard and it killed all of my political aspirations simply because of the nature of the situation. But their reps were really attentive to every request that I made and they handled the situation the best they could because they were dealing with the most powerful federal agency, and that’s understandable.

I have finished the program two years ago. I paid it all upfront at that time and that was it, just one payment. Community Tax gave me a chance to start a new life. Many people commit suicide because of this stuff because it’s the end of the road and this company really dealt with my situation in a very nice way, and I'm grateful for that. My experience with Community Tax was the best experience ever in my life.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Enrique! We're glad we could help. We'll hope you'll give us a call again again come Tax time!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I had a couple of issues with all my tax preparation so I called Community Tax. Their enrolment process was easy. They sent me a form that I filled out with basic stuff. And whenever I got a question, I gave them a call and they gave me all the answers that I needed. When I also need information about how I can fill out the form, I called them and they were able to help me over the phone. Community Tax works with the IRS and they worked on a tax debt relief program for the money I owe. They redid all my taxes for all the past years and the IRS accept the offer. Then, I paid $500.

I am now done with the program and everything was fine but they should have told me that the program that they helped me was for the federal taxes. I did not know and I thought they were gonna resolve all of my issues or at least inform about the stuff but they did nothing with the state. The state where I live sent me a bill that I still owe them. I explained to them that I already fixed everything but they said I might fix everything with federal but I still owe for my state. I just got the issues and I gave Community Tax a call.

Hi Jose,

Thank you for the feedback! We are so happy we could help resolve your IRS balances. We apologize if there was a miscommunication about your State balances, we'd like to work with you, and see if we can help out on the State side as well. Can you please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction department? Thank you, and Happy Holidays!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I owe money to the IRS that I couldn’t pay and I saw the commercial of Community Tax on TV. I'm not used to talking on the phone too much. I like to talk to people face-to-face and since Community Tax is in New York, that was the only way to handle the enrollment process. Other than that, everything was good and I went into their tax relief program.

I don’t make a lot of money and I got to pay bills, the car and my household insurance, rent, gas and on top of that, the debt which hasn’t been leaving me any portion. Right now, we've run out of work for the last 10 days and I'm broke. I still owe $2,100 plus my bills. I work in construction and sometimes there are months that I don’t make as much as I make on summer time and it’s so hard to pay on winter time. There were months that I had to struggle for money and if I loan some money from somebody, I had to pay it. Still, the cost was good. I like it because I was supposed to pay $32,000 and they brought it down to something that I could afford even though it’s high.

Community Tax response

Hi Francisco! We are so happy we could help, and thank you so much for the feedback! It really means a lot to us. We hope you'll think of us come 2018 tax time. Happy Holidays!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

If you're having a tax problem, call the Community Tax hotline. They helped me. Enrolling with them was cool and I had no problems because if there was something I didn’t understand, I would call back and they explained it to me. Their negotiators were good and decent. The price that I had to pay could be improved but it wasn’t too bad and it was better than average. I have until March 11th to pay the negotiating fee and so far, i haven't seen progress but I have a few dollars put away. If I had any more tax problems, I would come back to them.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Wanda! We're glad we could help get you a great resolution! Please give us a call again come tax time!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I worked with Ryan from Community Tax and he was the best. He was very, very, very helpful, and very nice person. It was like speaking to my buddy. I enjoyed the experience with him. I worked in the casino business for 30 years. We swapped some stories, and it was very pleasant. The enrollment process was very easy. I had to send out some papers and pertinent information that they needed, which I expected. I very seldom had to send out all those things that I didn’t do, but it was pretty simple and the process went very smoothly.

I'm glad I used Community Tax. They helped me with federal income tax and their program saved me a lot of money. I just completed the program and sent out the last check to the IRS, which was only about $100. So aside from paying through the lawyer fee or Community Tax’s fee, I only had to pay the IRS $100. It was my offer in compromise.

The only thing that I didn’t like was the first time I spoke to somebody at Community Tax, they quoted me a price of about $2,400. And then when I was getting ready to sign up, it was $3,600. So that was a little surprising. But everything else was perfect. It wasn’t nerve-wracking kind of stuff because I was dealing with the IRS. Ryan made it very simple for me and made it an easy process. He would get back to me whenever I called. If I had to leave a message, he usually got back to me the very next day. They were very responsive, and they always responded to my calls. The whole experience was pleasant.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Doug! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution. We will pass your kind words along to Ryan and his team. He really is one of the best! Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I was having some tax issues and I didn’t know who to call. It was the first time I had issues like that, so when I heard about Community Tax in an ad on Satellite Radio, I gave them a call. I worked with them for about a year and everything is resolved now. There was a lot of going back and forth but the job was done. If I had a question, I'd call them. If nobody answered the phone, I left a message and they called me back. And that was I needed, to know what was going on. When I got a letter from the IRS and I didn’t know what the letter was about, I called and asked Community Tax about it and they gave me answers. Working with them gave me peace of mind knowing that I didn’t have to deal with the IRS anymore and I'd recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I knew I had a debt with the IRS and I wanted to be proactive and to make the first move. I felt like that was the least I controlled. At first I worked with Optima Tax but really early, I was not happy with how that was being treated. So I gave up the 500 bucks and went with Community Tax. I had read the reviews and I checked them out on Ripoff Report. That was what led me to go with them and they gave a lot better customer service experience. The enrollment didn't take long then the whole process took over a year but they had told me it was gonna take a while.

They got me all filed up. That was the initial thing and they worked with me really well in terms of payment. I did some money upfront and then I did a weekly payment. They gave me something I could swallow. In fact, after a while, they reduced it some. I was paying about $160 a week initially and then they reduced it like $50 a week. And they just auto-drafted it out of my account per week until it was paid up.

I submitted a few things but it pretty much went without my input. Community Tax took the ball around with it and did whatever it is they do. They sent me some stuff to fill out a few times but not a whole lot. We also got quite a few call conversations but those were usually brief. I don't really know what they did but the IRS accepted and so I'm done. And Community Tax did keep me up-to-date on what was going on. If I had a question, it wasn't hard to get anybody on the phone to talk to. My experience with them was fantastic and I would refer somebody else to them in a heartbeat. I would tell others to absolutely use them, as opposed to the other people that just advertise well. Some people advertise real well and some people do real good work.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Charles! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution. We will pass your kind words along to your tax team! Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Very friendly staff! They explain things very well and easily to understand. Kept us up to date on the next process, if not available at time of call they would return call in a timely manner. I recommend Community Tax to everyone!

Community Tax response

We are so happy we could help, Lorena! We really appreciate your feedback! Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need anything in the future!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had a problem with back taxes. I heard something on the radio about Community Tax and I checked on their reviews, so I decided to see what they were talking about. When I enrolled, they put me in contact with someone who asked me a few questions, took some information from me, and told me what would happen. Then somebody else called me and they kinda set up the stuff. They told me what I needed to give them and to forward them that information. After sending them whatever they needed, I got in contact with another person and they became my go-to person and contact. They told me what I needed to bring or what I needed to send, my time frame, and things like that. And we would communicate through email. The whole process took about seven months to complete which was pretty much within the timeline they gave me, though there was a little miscommunication at some point.

The reps I worked with were really cool and good personality-wise. Most of them were able to answer the questions that I had and the only issue I had was that I sometimes would receive duplicate requests. If I had spoken to my tax preparer about something that I needed to send in or I said I was waiting on this document, somebody else would call me and say that I need to send in such and such or that they were still waiting on me even though I sent the document already. So that bothered me that sometimes it didn’t always seem that they were on the same page internally. And with them and with taxes, you kinda get a little antsy and a little concerned.

They also had to do a credit check and told me that I could qualify for financing. So, I had to get in with a finance company, which I wasn’t really expecting to have to do, and that was independent of whatever I owed for taxes. Other than that, I would tell others to go with Community Tax because ultimately, they resolved the issue. In terms of them doing what they said, they definitely did that.

Community Tax response

Thank you so much for the kind words, Nakiya! We will pass this feedback along to your tax team. We hope to hear from you come 2019 tax season!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

In 2015, I found this company because I had two big businesses and thought they would be able to help with arranging tax payments with the IRS. They did not deliver what they promised and my business bank accounts were levied until I was left to close my businesses down within months. It was terrifying and I was pregnant throughout this whole time trying to get a solution. After I had decided to walk away from everything, I went to a local tax guy here in town who fixed my business tax returns and was willing to contact the IRS, however, he said it would cost a bit more. I wrote a negative review on Community Tax before I met with my local guy, and the owner of Community Tax called me and said his guys would fix my issue with the IRS and want to make this right. So, I told my local tax guy that Community Tax will fix my issue.

I sent all paperwork they needed, and today, my husband's bank account got levied with only $2,800 in it! The only money we have left until he is paid again. I had to file bankruptcy after my businesses closed in 2017, and now I am a full-time nursing student. I decided I need to continue to help provide for my family and do better but this company makes promises and they don't realize that they are ruining families and lives.

I hope the owner reads this and refunds me fully. They have not fulfilled any of their promises. It's so hard to get a hold of anyone or speak to anyone. We don't live in Illinois, and it's so heartbreaking that they would be treating people this way not realizing the complications people go through. This caused a lot of financial damages! I want to move on, and get the money I have paid for so I can move on and work with the local person here who has been helpful from the beginning. I can no longer waste any more trust and time on people stealing money as my family suffers. It's been 3 years! This is NOT right!!!

Jennifer,

After looking at your case, we see that our Customer Satisfaction team has reached out to you, and the issues have been resolved. We are so glad we could address your concerns, fix the problem, and get your case moving forward. Please don't hesitate to reach out to our Customer Satisfaction team directly in the future if you need anything else at 773-577-2938. Thank you!

Community Tax expert review by Andrew Poulos

Community Tax is a company focused on tax relief staffed by tax attorneys and bankers. The company focuses on a two step process to resolve tax issues.

• Nominal fees: Community Tax touts their fee policy for tax relief customers. The company first analyzes the customer's debt situation, then comes up with a tailored plan and fee suited to the situation, so clients needn't pay a large upfront fee for services. The fee is refundable if Community Tax can't help the customer.

• Online learning center: The Community Tax website offers a learning center where customers and potential customers can visit to learn about tax relief, debt and more.

• All flat rates: In addition to no fee upfront, Community Tax charges only flat rates for work and never tacks on additional fees for extra services.

• Convenience: Community Tax provides tax and IRS help to people who live all over the country, so the service is convenient to use no matter where a customer lives.

• Online presence: With Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages, Community Tax has an extensive and helpful online web and social media presence.

• Best for: Individuals with garnished wages, individuals with a federal tax lien or levy and innocent spouses.

Profile picture of Andrew Poulos
Andrew Poulos Tax Relief Contributing Editor

Andrew G. Poulos, EA, ABA, ATP, is principal of Poulos Accounting & Consulting, Inc. in Atlanta, GA where he works with individual and business tax clients and represents clients before the IRS and state labor agencies. A self-made entrepreneur and real estate investor, Andrew is an author, national speaker and nationally syndicated tax software expert.

Community Tax questions and answers

What problem is Community Tax trying to solve?
Community Tax works everyday to solve our clients’ tax problems – plain and simple. We offer solutions for common problems like tax debts, unfiled returns, audits, liens, garnishments, payroll taxes, accounting and bookkeeping issues.

Community Tax is already attempting to capture client feedback on a real-time basis. We want a steady stream of positive feedback in our online and media presence, but we also want to capture potential issues that one or more clients experience in order to help ensure future clients can avoid those same experiences. We are always open, evaluating and modifying processes to suit our client’s needs. Client feedback – good or bad – is the strongest tool we have to point us in the right direction. Every company has problems, it’s how you address those problems that sets you apart from your competition.
What sets Community Tax apart from the competition?
In regards to solving tax problems, Community Tax has a two-phase approach to addressing our client’s tax liability. Many tax companies initially offer a proposed one-time flat fee to resolve a client’s tax problem after just one phone call with the client, and often request thousands of dollars in return. Each taxpayer's situation is unique and we complete an investigation to determine the scope of their tax problem in regard to balances, filing requirements, audits, etc. We also perform a financial analysis to predetermine what government programs the client may be eligible for. This service is offered at a small investment to our clients, usually around $400-$500.

We’re aware much of our competition has adopted the two-phase approach as well, however we have seen and heard they can often charge double what we ask – for the same “stated” investigation service. We’ll often go beyond the operational cost we incur to perform our investigation service and we do this to deliver the best possible recommendation for our clients on every case, regardless if they choose to move forward with retaining CTAX to achieve that solution.

We maintain in-house technology and processes allowing us to complete a thorough investigation and analysis within days when many of competitors take weeks to perform the same service. This is an added value to any client who is trying to avoid collection activity with the IRS, as time is typically of the essence. When the investigation is complete we present the client with any tax returns that must be filed, which government program he is eligible for and exactly what it will cost the customer (in fees) if they choose to have Community Tax handle their resolution strategy. The client has the option to move forward with our tax preparation services and negotiation, or not.

Finally, we feel Community Tax is one of the few, (possibly only) tax relief companies maintaining an internal compliance department to proactively monitor our teams for quality assurance. We feel it’s essential to ensure consistency and accuracy with the tax services we offer clients as we primarily conduct business with customers from all across the country by phone, email and fax, rather than face-to-face.
What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
In addition to the speed and cost of our investigation service, we also have tailored investigation services addressing specific IRS collection actions, such as active garnishments and audit situations. However, we really feel the most significant and beneficial edge our company delivers to our clients, is the on-going annual tax assistance service(s) after we are done negotiating and establishing their final resolution. We want to ensure our clients complete the resolution program we established in full so they never get into a similar situation in the future – and we want to handle all of their income tax needs for the rest of their lives.
How does Community Tax measure success?
We evaluate the number of resolutions we achieve for our clients, as well as the savings we may have been able to obtain on each case. However, only until a resolution is achieved and we receive notification of a positive client experience behind the service we delivered, can we ultimately acknowledge it as a “successful case.”

We are always trying to become more efficient in our process. During the resolution phase of our tax relief program, there is a need for a significant amount of interaction between our office and the client in the course of preparing taxes and negotiating a resolution. Unfortunately, it’s not always convenient for the client to speak to us when we would like to update or request something specifically regarding their file. In retaining feedback from our clients about this specific phase of our service, we were able to address their concerns and their feedback was the ultimate driving factor in implementing our current SMS client communication system, which is now available and utilized on every case we service. Our clients now receive updates on everything from the status of their case to payment reminders.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the tax relief industry?
The settlement programs available from taxing authorities are eligibility-based using the most current financial data. Without properly evaluating, analyzing (or investigating) into the taxpayers individual situation, no honest tax advisor could confirm a solution to one’s tax problem. Unfortunately, a settlement of tax debt is advertised by many as a one-size-fits-all solution. For the record, there are a multitude of ways one could reduce an actual tax liability, but it depends specifically on the individual circumstances of the tax debt and the taxpayer. Our investigation uncovers and evaluates every option an individual may have at resolving their debt in order to educate the clients on all of their resolution options.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Competition in the tax relief industry has grown tremendously. States have become far more aggressive in their collection efforts and unfortunately, depending on the state, there are typically fewer resolutions options available to clients when compared to the IRS. On the reverse, the IRS has put forth initiatives to allow for lien removals and relaxed some of their program qualifications in an effort to promote taxpayer compliance and resolution.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Community Tax?
CTAX has a variety of tax solution services to handle any type of income tax need an individual or business may have. Yes, we solve tax problems. Our team has been in the business of solving tax problems for so long we know how to solve tax problems before they start. We also offer tax preparation, accounting and bookkeeping services to customers who have never experienced a tax problem, they hire us in order to keep it that way!
Has Community Tax received any awards or recognition for its services your customers would like to know about?
We were selected for 2014 Illinois Excellence by USIATC (US Institute for Advancement of Trade and Commerce). Many of our practitioners have individual awards and acknowledgements as well.
How has Community Tax grown or evolved?
Our organization was founded as a tax company specializing in the resolution of tax problems, and led by in-house tax attorneys, Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and IRS enrolled agents. Since the beginning of 2010, CTAX has been a “winning” full-service tax services company dedicated to assisting taxpayers nationwide with all of their income tax needs.

Community Tax headquarters are located in Chicago, IL with several enrollment centers and partnerships throughout the country. We currently service nearly 10,000 clients nationwide. Directed by over 25 full-time licensed tax practitioners, we are currently staffed with an estimated 135 full-time employees – and we’re growing. Over the years, CTAX has evolved into much more than just a leading nationwide tax resolution and negotiation company; we have grown into a premier tax prevention service provider as well. Through the growth of our company, we’ve been able to evolve immensely through the advancement, investment, and utilization of technology to help benefit our clients’ experience from a convenience standpoint.

Community Tax Company Information