Call toll free
4.36/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Community Tax, we strive to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years we have assisted tens of thousands of taxpayers in dealing with the IRS and/or State Taxing Authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns, to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Our office is staffed with dedicated licensed tax professionals that will work with you to customize a tax strategy for both the present and the future. We look forward to working with you for all your tax needs.

Illinois CPA Society
Non-CPA Asosciate Member of AICPA
Illinois Chamber of Commerce
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Community tax is a full-service tax company providing a wide spectrum of services, from tax prep to tax relief for individuals with $10,000 or more in tax debt. They staff enrolled agents licensed by the U.S. Department of Treasury.

PROS

• Available in all 50 states
  • Impressive staff credentials
  • Free consultation

CONS

• Pricing not available online

About Community Tax

Community Tax, LLC (CTAX) is a full-service tax company that provides affordable tax services to individuals and businesses nationwide. Founded in 2010 and serving all 50 states, it is one of the leading providers of tax preparation, tax resolution, bookkeeping and accounting services.

Filing taxes and resolving tax issues can be complicated for most of us. CTAX takes pride in its staff of knowledgeable and licensed tax attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents. Enrolled agents are tax advisors licensed by the Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax issues.

Community Tax services

The IRS is bent on collecting all taxes due to the government. Non-payment of taxes, underpayment of taxes, late payment, misrepresentation and other violations of tax laws are reasons the IRS can come after you. Fortunately, CTAX provides a broad spectrum of tax services to protect yourself from the IRS' wrath. The services include the following:

Tax Preparation

All the tax preparers at CTAX are licensed with a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). If you use CTAX's services, you will be assigned a dedicated tax preparer. You will then submit a limited power of attorney to authorize the tax preparer to access your tax records at the IRS. After completing your return, the tax preparer sends it to a group of reviewers composed of seasoned CPAs. The return will be sent to you for your review and signature. Upon receipt of your signed return, CTAX will immediately file your return at the IRS.

CTAX tax preparers are diligent and accurate in identifying regular and special sources of income. They continue to educate themselves with new IRS policies and laws to determine which expenses are eligible for deductions such as:

• Higher education expenses
  • Student loan interest
  • Medical expenses
  • Mortgage interest
  • Real estate taxes
  • Charitable contributions
  • Gambling losses
Tax Resolution

The resolution process starts with an investigation and may last from one week to one year. The CTAX investigative team analyzes your financials and IRS records. The team sends you its findings and offers the following potential solutions:

• Offers in Compromise (OIC): Taxpayers who are at the verge of financial hardship can qualify. Financial hardship means having more expenses than income. The IRS determines the maximum amount taxpayers are financially capable of paying without causing hardship. The remainder of the tax debt is forgiven.
  • Installment Agreement (IA): This method allows taxpayers to pay their tax debt balance over a period ranging from six months to 10 years.
  • Stair Step Agreement: This solution grants taxpayers the option to pay off a large expense, such as a car, with larger installments while paying smaller installments on the tax debt. After full payment of the large expense, they can then switch the entire payment to the tax balance within the next 48-60 months.
  • Streamline Installment Agreement:This tax relief is eligible for taxpayers with substantial income or assets. The actual balance must not be more than $50,000 and be payable within 60-72 months.
  • Partial Pay Installment Agreement (PPIA): Taxpayers under financial hardship are eligible for PPIA. Based on a taxpayer’s financial information, CTAX can negotiate for a hardship payment, which is less than the required monthly payment, for 10 years. The IRS has a 10-Year Statute of Limitations for the collection of past due tax debt. After 10 years, even if the taxpayer will not be able to pay the debt in full, the IRS will no longer be able to collect.
  • Conditional Expense Installment Agreement: The IRS may grant installment payments to a tax liability to allow a taxpayer to continue paying a long-term expense, such as a 401k program.
  • Traditional Installment Agreement: This arrangement allows a taxpayer to make monthly installment payments over a 10-year period based on the taxpayer’s current financial situation.
  • Currently Not Collectible Status: Taxpayers struggling with financial hardship may be completely relieved of their tax debt until such time that they are able to recover.
  • Penalty Abatement: Under this agreement, taxpayers may request for a decrease in penalties on back taxes, but they must show proof that they missed payments or made late payments for uncontrollable reasons
Accounting

CTAX offers accounting, personalized bookkeeping and payroll services for affordable flat-rate monthly fees. The services come in these three plans:

• Bronze: The services include monthly bookkeeping, 24/7 IRS correspondence monitoring, financial reporting and bank reconciliation for one bank account and one credit card account and analysis of estimated tax payment. The package costs $99/month.
  • Silver: The package includes all the services provided by the Bronze plan, plus financial reporting and bank reconciliation for two bank accounts and two credit card accounts. This package also includes unlimited tax planning by a CPA. The plan costs $199/month.
  • Gold: The plan provides all the services included in the Silver plan, plus payroll processing and a dedicated IRS tax attorney for a fixed monthly fee to be agreed upon by CTAX and the taxpayer.
Bookkeeping

Bookkeeping services include overseeing bank and credit card transactions, recording and adjusting journal entries, as well as preparing payroll returns, W-2’s and 1099 MISC forms. Clients are allowed to choose and seasonally adjust the services they use and only pay for the services they use.

Community Tax Assurance Program

The Community Tax Assurance Program (TAP) is designed as a prevention program to ensure that clients remain compliant and updated with tax policies to eliminate future tax problems. TAP offers the following programs:

• Access Assurance: Services include tax account monitoring, IRS alerts, helpful tax information and updates and exclusive access to TaxPal, a mobile app with 24-hour tax monitoring and alerts. The program is free.
  • Executive Assurance: The program includes all Access Assurance services plus priority servicing, direct access to tax practitioners and a dedicated case advocate. It also includes a free annual personal income tax return, free garnishment investigation, free tax-related ID theft repair and a 20 percent discount on future resolution services. The program costs $34.99/month.
  • Enterprise Access: The program includes all Executive Access services plus customized services, a designated accounting team, a free business income tax return and individualized tax planning by a highly skilled CPA. The program costs $99.99/month.

How does Community Tax work?

Community Tax services clients who need help with tax preparation or seek tax debt relief. Being a trusted tax company, CTAX strives to give the best service to clients who have back taxes, liens on their bank accounts, garnished wages or are being audited. The CTAX process consists of three main steps.

1. Information Gathering
    Experienced tax professionals will gather your financial information from you to make a tax analysis of your case, which, in turn, will help them work out the best solution to your problem. The information may include past tax returns, bank and credit card accounts, and other financial records, depending on the complexity of your tax issue.
  2. Investigation
    The investigation process involves getting access to your IRS records. You will need to provide authorization to your assigned CTAX investigator to file IRS Form 8821 or the appropriate form for the state taxing authority on your behalf to obtain a complete record of your account.
  3. Resolution
    Once the investigator completes their work, you will be presented with resolution options to consider. They have been discussed above.

Community Tax FAQ

How much does Community Tax cost?
Pricing varies and depends on the complexity of the case. Consultation is free, but the company website does not provide direct pricing information on tax debt relief. However, according to some review sites, Community Tax charges clients the following fees:
  • Initial fee of $500 to $750
  • Flat fee of $2,500 and $4,500
  • $275 for W-2 returns
  • $525 for Forms 1099 and 1040
  • $1,000 for business tax returns
Does Community Tax offer any type of guarantee?
Community Tax allows a full or partial refund for services not rendered; however, you need to discuss this with a customer satisfaction representative, as reimbursements are on a case-by-case basis.

Do we recommend Community Tax?

Community Tax is a trusted tax company employing experienced tax professionals specializing in tax issues and serving clients all over the United States. Numbers don’t lie, and with more than $600 million tax debts resolved, we recommend CTAX for taxpayers with complicated tax returns, back taxes or potential issues that may invite an audit.

Community Tax Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 12, 2019

We got to a point where we cannot afford the taxes because my husband lost a lot of his client. He was self-employed and I’m working. Community Tax has been very helpful to us. After seeing Community Tax, I contacted them. They called me back. So, I asked what they do, how they're gonna help us, and their guy explained to me. But then my husband researched them and he said, “Oh, okay. This is like a good company because they’re on that BBB."

Community Tax is a good company. They’re very nice people. Until now, they handle our taxes. They prepare our taxes and tax relief, they offer their service, and they monitor. They did everything, and they’re really good. I already recommended them to people that needed help with their taxes. At first, when I looked at it, it was a big cash-in. And I thought we couldn’t afford it. They then run through us on what we do and then their fee was reasonable, so we make payment to them to pay the things. It was really helpful. It was not like some company that ask for their price right up in the front. Community Tax said, “Okay. Just tell us how much you can afford every month to pay their prices.” So, that’s what I did. They take out 600 every time, at a time on my check, and then I get to pocket a little.

The Community Tax reps are all nice. The first guy I dealt with was the one that helped us the most to get the thing done with one of the lawyers and he helped out set up our account. And when they told us about their price, and we told them we don’t have the money, he said, “Don’t worry. We can make payment.” So, every month they tell us how much it’s gonna cost, we can make payment, and they’re even preparing our tax. The quality of their service is very nice. They call us every month and if we have any questions, they explain to us. So, they always check up on us every month. The money that we pay is worth it because we don’t have to worry with the IRS.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the kind words, Faye! We're glad to help. We'll hope you'll give us a call again come Tax time!

Get expert buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2019

When I was in San Diego an old man told me that I didn't have to pay the taxes until every three years. I listened to him and by the time I reached the fourth year, the IRS said that that was only if they owed me, but if I owed them, I gotta pay. By the time I was able to negotiate with them, the debt kept quickly piling up and I couldn’t stop it. Then I heard the commercial of Community Tax. They told me that I'd be okay and to just pay 4,000. I paid 400 a month to pay Community Tax and they kept in touch with me. They emailed and texted me a lot.

Enrolling with Community Tax was really easy. I can’t have a phone on the unit at one of the jobs I work at. I told them they could text me to keep in touch with me and they did. I spoke to numerous people and their reps were really good at communicating, not just with me, but with each other. That was key so that they'd all be on the same page. And that was what I really liked. Moreover, my interactions with them were very professional and fun.

I’m done with the program and just have to pay the IRS $80. In the beginning, when I paid Community Tax everything and went through the part where the IRS had lost my information, Community Tax told me to re-fax everything. Luckily, I keep receipts and copies. I re-sent everything and they kept calling IRS and IRS finally okayed everything. They went down from however much I owed to 100. The 20 I paid earlier was included and they said to just pay the $80 before May 5th. I had a great experience with Community Tax. They are the LL Cool J of tax assistance. Community Tax helped me out a lot and I’m glad they are in my hometown so I can brag. I have already recommended them to somebody.

Community Tax response

Hi Avery! Thank you so much for the feedback, we are so glad that you had a great experience with us, and that we were able to get you into a great resolution! Please don't hesitate to give us a call if you need anything in the future! Thanks again!

Original review: March 13, 2019

Tax advocacy was what Community Tax did for me for a delinquent tax bill. I talked to to their sales rep to sell me on the product and explain the package that they could provide. As soon as I signed up with them, I paid them in full. They set up the transfer of funds and I got a login information and private ID number to call in with. I’ve had several interactions with their reps over the last two years and it got a little frustrating because I got shuffled around a bit. I’d go from one specialist to another. I had a little trouble with some of the information that they were requesting. They said that they needed to change some of my obligations that I was listing for my debts. I told them to just do what they all have to do.

Furthermore, they were a little behind the ball in getting information from the IRS. I was getting it faster than I was getting it from them most of the time. But they explained that it might be necessary because the IRS would send the information to me and I'd have an attorney waiver in place so that everything they sent me would go over to Community Tax as well, and I was not to respond to anything that the IRS sent me. So, I’d call Community Tax and say, “Hey, I just got this lien notice,” or “I just got this rejection notice,” and they were quick to explain it. It was just weird that I would get that before them or that I would call them before they would contact me.

The whole experience made my partner very upset for a long time. She thought that they were just a scam because we paid them all this money and almost two years later, we still haven’t resolved with the IRS. They weren’t able to get a resolution. But a couple of months ago, they finally did, out of the blue. My partner was happy and said that it was money well-spent. It saved us $30,000. The experience was frustrating but it was a good deal.

Community Tax response

Thank you for the feedback, Beau! We are glad that we could help you reach such a great resolution with the IRS, but we are sorry that you did not have a great experience going through the process. We would like to discus your case with you in more detail to see what we can do to make things right, and prevent similar issues in the future. Can you please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction team to discuss the case in more detail? Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I knew I had a debt with the IRS and I wanted to be proactive and to make the first move. I felt like that was the least I controlled. At first I worked with Optima Tax but really early, I was not happy with how that was being treated. So I gave up the 500 bucks and went with Community Tax. I had read the reviews and I checked them out on Ripoff Report. That was what led me to go with them and they gave a lot better customer service experience. The enrollment didn't take long then the whole process took over a year but they had told me it was gonna take a while.

They got me all filed up. That was the initial thing and they worked with me really well in terms of payment. I did some money upfront and then I did a weekly payment. They gave me something I could swallow. In fact, after a while, they reduced it some. I was paying about $160 a week initially and then they reduced it like $50 a week. And they just auto-drafted it out of my account per week until it was paid up.

I submitted a few things but it pretty much went without my input. Community Tax took the ball around with it and did whatever it is they do. They sent me some stuff to fill out a few times but not a whole lot. We also got quite a few call conversations but those were usually brief. I don't really know what they did but the IRS accepted and so I'm done. And Community Tax did keep me up-to-date on what was going on. If I had a question, it wasn't hard to get anybody on the phone to talk to. My experience with them was fantastic and I would refer somebody else to them in a heartbeat. I would tell others to absolutely use them, as opposed to the other people that just advertise well. Some people advertise real well and some people do real good work.

Community Tax response

Thanks for the feedback, Charles! We are so glad you had a great experience and an amazing resolution. We will pass your kind words along to your tax team! Feel free to reach back out to us this tax season!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had a problem with back taxes. I heard something on the radio about Community Tax and I checked on their reviews, so I decided to see what they were talking about. When I enrolled, they put me in contact with someone who asked me a few questions, took some information from me, and told me what would happen. Then somebody else called me and they kinda set up the stuff. They told me what I needed to give them and to forward them that information. After sending them whatever they needed, I got in contact with another person and they became my go-to person and contact. They told me what I needed to bring or what I needed to send, my time frame, and things like that. And we would communicate through email. The whole process took about seven months to complete which was pretty much within the timeline they gave me, though there was a little miscommunication at some point.

The reps I worked with were really cool and good personality-wise. Most of them were able to answer the questions that I had and the only issue I had was that I sometimes would receive duplicate requests. If I had spoken to my tax preparer about something that I needed to send in or I said I was waiting on this document, somebody else would call me and say that I need to send in such and such or that they were still waiting on me even though I sent the document already. So that bothered me that sometimes it didn’t always seem that they were on the same page internally. And with them and with taxes, you kinda get a little antsy and a little concerned.

They also had to do a credit check and told me that I could qualify for financing. So, I had to get in with a finance company, which I wasn’t really expecting to have to do, and that was independent of whatever I owed for taxes. Other than that, I would tell others to go with Community Tax because ultimately, they resolved the issue. In terms of them doing what they said, they definitely did that.

Community Tax response

Thank you so much for the kind words, Nakiya! We will pass this feedback along to your tax team. We hope to hear from you come 2019 tax season!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Hired Community Tax in 9/22/2017 to file my income tax return for the year 2016 and negotiate with the IRS an installment agreement for the tax debt. A practitioner was assigned to my case and they prepared the 1040A which was submitted to IRS in October 15, 2017. One month later, Community TAX informed me via email that IRS accepted the terms for the installment agreement and that Community TAX would close the case as they deemed to be resolved. The following month while I was away on a family vacation trip, IRS sent a letter to them and myself (Dec 21, 2017) with a rejection letter for the proposed installment agreement.

The reason according to IRS was due to insufficient monthly payment offered based on the balance owed at that time, this something Community Tax should have known better before making an offer to IRS for an installment agreement, RIGHT??? IRS moved forward to file a LIEN on DEC 29, 2017 and by February 2018 it was already being reported by the credit bureaus. I had two different practitioners assigned to the case in 2018 to appeal the decision for the LIEN, not of them were able to resolve this matter.

Only until May 2018 and by my own initiative I was able to negotiate directly with IRS a new installment agreement and get instructions for the LIEN removal. NEVER WILL HIRE COMMUNITY TAX TO LOOK AFTER MY TAXES NEITHER SHOULD YOU: They are a bunch of incompetent lousy accountants who are only after your money and don't care if you get screwed by the IRS in the process. In their service agreement you waive your right to file lawsuit against them and if you want to file a claim you need to get an arbitrator lawyer and await decision by the arbitrator.

Community Tax response

Hi John. We are so sorry that you had a negative experience, and we would really like to help make things right! We are unable to locate your file in our system. Could you please reach out to our Customer Satisfaction team at 773-577-2938, or email us at CCS@CommunityTax.com? Thank you, and we look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Community Tax was referred to me by somebody, and I was pretty disappointed because they were spoken pretty highly of. I wasn't very satisfied with them. I paid $300 to get my 2017 taxes fixed which they never did. I never got my returns for them and they got returned. So, I spent $300 for no reason 'cause I have to file them again anyway. And it took weeks upon weeks to speak to someone in regards to my taxes. I was going through so many hoops for very little to no result. I called multiple times, sent emails. I had to leave a nasty comment on their page for someone to get up with me.

I also got some of the worst customer service I've ever gotten. It was fairly difficult just getting it situated to my situation, speaking to Community Tax and trying to get them to understand the fact that it wasn't a complex situation. It was just more difficult because I didn't have access to the actual physical copies of my previous taxes. All they really had to do was request it from the IRS and then file my taxes for me, and it took months. The guy filed an extension for me through the IRS 'till the 15th of this month, and I still haven't even had time to file. I was gonna try and file with them, but because of the hassle I had to go through and the money I spent versus service fees, it was a waste of money.

Hi Frankie,

We are so sorry that you had a negative experience, and we would really like to help! It looks like you spoke to our Customer Satisfaction team already. We would like to talk to you again and do whatever we can to make things right. Please give us a call at 773-577-2938. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Friendly and Knowledgable. Community Tax has helped me throughout the years, not only resolving my big tax debt problems but also helping me prepare my yearly tax returns. I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I am finally back on track!

Community Tax response

Thanks VG! It's wonderful to hear that we were able to get you into a great resolution. We are looking forward to working with you on your yearly tax returns! Thanks very much for taking the time to post your review.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Great people to work with... Real understanding of your needs and they will explain every step by step of how the process is going to be... Specially Christian ** and Christopher ** which I had the pleasure to work with!!!

Community Tax response

Hello Diego! We are very happy to hear about your experience with us. We definitely think that team members Christian and Christopher are pretty great as well! We look forward to helping you out if you need us again.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

If there is anything TurboTax can't handle, they are lost and have no clue what to do. However, they hide their lack of expertise and drop you at the last moment, leaving you little time to meet deadlines. Don't trust them!

Community Tax response

We are so sorry that you had a negative experience, Bogdan. We would have loved to help you with your tax return, but as soon as we received your documentation and realized the complex nature and specific needs of your return, we had to advise you to look for help elsewhere. We have refunded your payment in full. We sincerely apologize, and wish you the best of luck!

Community Tax Company Information