Learn More

2. Tax Relief

4.6/5 (75 ratings)

About Community Tax

Community Tax strives to provide each customer with the most efficient and affordable resolution given their individual situation and tax needs. Over the years, the company has helped more than 100,000 customers deal with the IRS and/or state taxing authorities on matters ranging from resolving back tax debt and preparing unfiled tax returns to assisting with ongoing bookkeeping and accounting services.

Pros

• Available in all 50 states
    • Impressive staff credentials
    • Free consultation

Cons

• Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

Community tax is a full-service tax company providing a wide spectrum of services, from tax prep to tax relief for individuals with $10,000 or more in tax debt. They staff enrolled agents licensed by the U.S. Department of Treasury.

About Community Tax

Community Tax, LLC (CTAX) is a full-service tax company that provides affordable tax services to individuals and businesses nationwide. Founded in 2010 and serving all 50 states, it is one of the leading providers of tax preparation, tax resolution, bookkeeping and accounting services.

Filing taxes and resolving tax issues can be complicated for most of us. CTAX takes pride in its staff of knowledgeable and licensed tax attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents. Enrolled agents are tax advisors licensed by the Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax issues.

Community Tax services

The IRS is bent on collecting all taxes due to the government. Non-payment of taxes, underpayment of taxes, late payment, misrepresentation and other violations of tax laws are reasons the IRS can come after you. Fortunately, CTAX provides a broad spectrum of tax services to protect yourself from the IRS' wrath. The services include the following:

Tax Preparation

All the tax preparers at CTAX are licensed with a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). If you use CTAX's services, you will be assigned a dedicated tax preparer. You will then submit a limited power of attorney to authorize the tax preparer to access your tax records at the IRS. After completing your return, the tax preparer sends it to a group of reviewers composed of seasoned CPAs. The return will be sent to you for your review and signature. Upon receipt of your signed return, CTAX will immediately file your return at the IRS.

CTAX tax preparers are diligent and accurate in identifying regular and special sources of income. They continue to educate themselves with new IRS policies and laws to determine which expenses are eligible for deductions such as:

• Higher education expenses
    • Student loan interest
    • Medical expenses
    • Mortgage interest
    • Real estate taxes
    • Charitable contributions
    • Gambling losses
    Tax Resolution

The resolution process starts with an investigation and may last from one week to one year. The CTAX investigative team analyzes your financials and IRS records. The team sends you its findings and offers the following potential solutions:

• Offers in Compromise (OIC): Taxpayers who are at the verge of financial hardship can qualify. Financial hardship means having more expenses than income. The IRS determines the maximum amount taxpayers are financially capable of paying without causing hardship. The remainder of the tax debt is forgiven.
    • Installment Agreement (IA): This method allows taxpayers to pay their tax debt balance over a period ranging from six months to 10 years.
    • Stair Step Agreement: This solution grants taxpayers the option to pay off a large expense, such as a car, with larger installments while paying smaller installments on the tax debt. After full payment of the large expense, they can then switch the entire payment to the tax balance within the next 48-60 months.
    • Streamline Installment Agreement:This tax relief is eligible for taxpayers with substantial income or assets. The actual balance must not be more than $50,000 and be payable within 60-72 months.
    • Partial Pay Installment Agreement (PPIA): Taxpayers under financial hardship are eligible for PPIA. Based on a taxpayer’s financial information, CTAX can negotiate for a hardship payment, which is less than the required monthly payment, for 10 years. The IRS has a 10-Year Statute of Limitations for the collection of past due tax debt. After 10 years, even if the taxpayer will not be able to pay the debt in full, the IRS will no longer be able to collect.
    • Conditional Expense Installment Agreement: The IRS may grant installment payments to a tax liability to allow a taxpayer to continue paying a long-term expense, such as a 401k program.
    • Traditional Installment Agreement: This arrangement allows a taxpayer to make monthly installment payments over a 10-year period based on the taxpayer’s current financial situation.
    • Currently Not Collectible Status: Taxpayers struggling with financial hardship may be completely relieved of their tax debt until such time that they are able to recover.
    • Penalty Abatement: Under this agreement, taxpayers may request for a decrease in penalties on back taxes, but they must show proof that they missed payments or made late payments for uncontrollable reasons
    Accounting

CTAX offers accounting, personalized bookkeeping and payroll services for affordable flat-rate monthly fees. The services come in these three plans:

• Bronze: The services include monthly bookkeeping, 24/7 IRS correspondence monitoring, financial reporting and bank reconciliation for one bank account and one credit card account and analysis of estimated tax payment. The package costs $99/month.
    • Silver: The package includes all the services provided by the Bronze plan, plus financial reporting and bank reconciliation for two bank accounts and two credit card accounts. This package also includes unlimited tax planning by a CPA. The plan costs $199/month.
    • Gold: The plan provides all the services included in the Silver plan, plus payroll processing and a dedicated IRS tax attorney for a fixed monthly fee to be agreed upon by CTAX and the taxpayer.
    Bookkeeping

Bookkeeping services include overseeing bank and credit card transactions, recording and adjusting journal entries, as well as preparing payroll returns, W-2’s and 1099 MISC forms. Clients are allowed to choose and seasonally adjust the services they use and only pay for the services they use.

Community Tax Assurance Program

The Community Tax Assurance Program (TAP) is designed as a prevention program to ensure that clients remain compliant and updated with tax policies to eliminate future tax problems. TAP offers the following programs:

• Access Assurance: Services include tax account monitoring, IRS alerts, helpful tax information and updates and exclusive access to TaxPal, a mobile app with 24-hour tax monitoring and alerts. The program is free.
    • Executive Assurance: The program includes all Access Assurance services plus priority servicing, direct access to tax practitioners and a dedicated case advocate. It also includes a free annual personal income tax return, free garnishment investigation, free tax-related ID theft repair and a 20 percent discount on future resolution services. The program costs $34.99/month.
    • Enterprise Access: The program includes all Executive Access services plus customized services, a designated accounting team, a free business income tax return and individualized tax planning by a highly skilled CPA. The program costs $99.99/month.

How does Community Tax work?

Community Tax services clients who need help with tax preparation or seek tax debt relief. Being a trusted tax company, CTAX strives to give the best service to clients who have back taxes, liens on their bank accounts, garnished wages or are being audited. The CTAX process consists of three main steps.

1. Information Gathering
      Experienced tax professionals will gather your financial information from you to make a tax analysis of your case, which, in turn, will help them work out the best solution to your problem. The information may include past tax returns, bank and credit card accounts, and other financial records, depending on the complexity of your tax issue.
    2. Investigation
      The investigation process involves getting access to your IRS records. You will need to provide authorization to your assigned CTAX investigator to file IRS Form 8821 or the appropriate form for the state taxing authority on your behalf to obtain a complete record of your account.
    3. Resolution
      Once the investigator completes their work, you will be presented with resolution options to consider. They have been discussed above.

Community Tax FAQ

How much does Community Tax cost?
    Pricing varies and depends on the complexity of the case. Consultation is free, but the company website does not provide direct pricing information on tax debt relief. However, according to some review sites, Community Tax charges clients the following fees:
    • Initial fee of $500 to $750
    • Flat fee of $2,500 and $4,500
    • $275 for W-2 returns
    • $525 for Forms 1099 and 1040
    • $1,000 for business tax returns
    Does Community Tax offer any type of guarantee?
    Community Tax allows a full or partial refund for services not rendered; however, you need to discuss this with a customer satisfaction representative, as reimbursements are on a case-by-case basis.

Do we recommend Community Tax?

Community Tax is a trusted tax company employing experienced tax professionals specializing in tax issues and serving clients all over the United States. Numbers don’t lie, and with more than $600 million tax debts resolved, we recommend CTAX for taxpayers with complicated tax returns, back taxes or potential issues that may invite an audit.

Community Tax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Community Tax?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Community Tax helped me out. Those people always answer my calls. If I couldn’t find my case manager or my case worker, I will leave a message for her and she will call me right back. They directed me through the process and I negotiated, myself, the state of Illinois taxes. I made a payment plan, paid that, and everything worked fine. Then they negotiated with IRS, and they got down my bill a lot. I’m happy. The price was very reasonable and it was on installment so it couldn't be better. I could have done it myself, or if I would have hired a private person to do that, it would have cost a lot of money.

The other thing is they have Spanish people and even they have offices in Puerto Rico. I couldn’t believe that some people were calling from there. Then I went to take documents to the one in downtown Chicago. They said that they have a big building there, they got tons of people, and it was quick, in and out. I have sent some people there, and I tell them that they can trust Community Tax to work with them and that they will help them like they helped us.

William,

Thank you for your rating and review! We are happy we could assist with your tax issues and resolve them in such a great manner!

Community Tax

Get buying tips about Tax Relief delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

Community Tax's message over the radio was clear. They said there would be friendly people ready to help out. The enrollment process was easy because I choose my native language that is Spanish. I talked with the rep Ruiz and he was very friendly and helpful. When I first heard his voice, I trusted him and that was key. That was the best part of that enrollment because I knew that person would help me out and would not mislead me.

The experience with Community Tax was beautiful and they solved my problems. Until today, I have the peace of mind that I was looking for. I have nothing to do with IRS. Community Tax does that for me. I have to pay for it but it's a sacrifice. Everybody has to sacrifice something. Sometimes, what they do for me is really good and what I pay for it is not enough. I've been working with this team from those days back and I want to keep working with them.

I'm in the best moment of my life because I have no troubles with the government and I'm ready for next year. Community Tax will be expensive but it's worth it. Sometimes, we go with a personal or private person. But I heard too many stories of disappointments about those guys being professional or even being trustworthy. But with Community Tax, you will certainly know that they will fix your troubles.

Eber,

Thank you very much for your review and rating. We are happy we could assist you and resolve your tax issues! We look forward to working with you in the future!

Community Tax

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

I have been with Community Tax for many years now. They helped me when I got into some tax troubles about 9 years back and I couldn't pay what I owed at the time. I made the mistake of getting paid under the table while receiving unemployment many years ago. Because of my work situation at the time I could not pay what I owed, so I was luckily put on an economic hardship type plan. It worked for me even though I was trying to make more money year after year. The resolution allowed for me to be sheltered with my low income until either I was able to pay what I owed in full or it expired after ten years.

Unfortunately the year before it was set to expire 2019, the year before the pandemic, I made well over six figures in income which caused the IRS to cancel my agreement and I became liable for the entire amount I was in a resolution for- interest had accrued and it was a big amount. Well luckily they worked with me again and got me into another plan that works. They made me feel at ease and help lower my stress levels. Luckily, I only have a few more months of paying a monthly amount as is part of my agreement, before this entire thing in behind me. Also, I am still using them to file my taxes every year and actually have them on a month to month contract. I will continue to use them past this day and am thankful to Luisa ** and everyone else at Community Tax. I recommend them to everyone who tells me they have tax problems they need help with. I am a happy customer.

Ernest,

Thank you so much for your great review! Every taxpayer's circumstances are different and we are happy we could place you in a resolution that fit your current life situation.

Community Tax

Original review: July 11, 2021

I have been with Community Tax for a long time. I owed probably $50,000 and they did a program with the IRS. I stayed with them because the person I called five years ago or so helped me to stop the levy. The IRS was gonna be taking money out my paycheck. That was the reason why I started researching for somebody to help me. Since I'm in Houston, I wanted to try to get somebody in Houston so I can go up to the office. Community Tax was the one who kept reaching out to me to see how I was doing. When they explained different things to me, they did it on my level. That’s what I really like about them. They told me how much I needed to pay for each service. They would give me something higher but I told them I couldn't pay that. They worked out and I would tell them what I could pay.

Everything that they told me they were gonna do, they did for me. The Community Tax person who's over my case would call me every month to give me an update and I really like that. Any concerns that I would have, I would email them and they would email me back. If I didn't understand the answer, I would call them and someone would get back with me the day or next day. They are very proficient on getting back with me when I need it.

Community Tax response

Hey Tamikae, thank you for your kind words! Please don't hesitate to reach out for any of your future tax needs!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I reached out to Community Tax, LLC. from Chicago, Illinois back on November, 11th 2020 in search of Tax Relief Services. I had received a lien or wage garnishment letter, and I knew I did not owe as much as the IRS says I did. I didn’t want to fight the IRS myself, when I could have Tax Practitioners do it for me, right? My case was untraditional as I'm more hands on than most. Community Tax did an investigation into my tax issue as part of their phase 1 program. I have to say that you can't get a CPA to look over your complete tax record for $250.00 as their phase 1 costs. I think more of the money might be made through phase 2 and negotiations with Federal and State agencies. They are creating a new standard for the industry and customer best interests come first.

I stopped before going into Phase 2 for two reasons, I was afraid of being taken advantage of not knowing what I was doing and I believe no client should pay full price for a service until they know what kind of options are available to them and what the expectations of the service are. Let that not be evidence of dissatisfaction: quite contrary… Let me put it into perspective for you here.

My tax bill was $35,000. Healthy, but not massive. I would expect to pay around $4,000 to a CPA or Tax Consultant to help me with my tax problem. The average client, at a tax resolution firm, spends between $3,500.00 - $7,000.00 just to the company handling the tax problem. The more you owe, the more complex your scenario, and the overall time estimated to handle your tax resolution will lean you more towards the top end of that.

I owed $35,000, I had 6 returns to be filed, 1 to be amended, and the TOTAL cost as a percentage of the TOTAL tax bill that Community Tax LLC proposed to charge me WAS ONLY 4% percent of the outstanding debt, including the investigation. You can do the math, but I'll give you a hint, it was going to cost under $1,500.00 in service fees to the company for an investigation, filing the returns, amending the returns and settling my debts for my particular case. Note, your price will be specific to your circumstances, I can't express the importance of that. You can trust this company. I personally did not go into phase 2 because,

A. As I had stated early on, I was more hands on and only interested in the investigation. I would handle the returns myself. No foul. A+.
      B. An early on miscommunication between myself, the client and the sales rep which was later resolved to my full satisfaction. The Customer Satisfaction Department is. No foul. A+.

C. I thought of a different way to get the tax bill handled. No foul. A+.

My experience with the customer satisfaction department was A+. Definitely reach out to them if you have questions or concerns. Great overall experience. AAA+++.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Community Tax response

Hi Jonathan, thank you so much for your kind words. We are thrilled that we exceeded your expectations. We will be sure to pass along your praise to our team. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

Erica has been very professional and I feel confident knowing that she has been dealing with my case. I trust her and know she will correct the mistakes of my former accountant. She has explained the process well and I know she'll continue to represent me. Thank you.

Richard,

Thank you for your review and rating! We are happy you have the confidence in our team as the professionals that will alleviate your tax issues.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I was very skeptical at first but Community Tax exceeded my expectations. I am very pleased with the outcome of doing business with these people. Would definitely do business again. Thank you Community Tax. Reduced my taxes owed to half of what I started at and reduced payment by over fifty percent.

Greg,
      Thank you for your review and rating!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Always very communicative, always gets back to you. She makes sure to answer all your questions, and if she doesn’t know the answer she finds it and gets back to you. She had made this experience a lot easier than expected.

Melissa,
      Thank you for your rating and review! We will pass your review along to your case advocate.

Community Tax

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Erica and her team helped me get rid of my IRS problem. She was polite, professional, calm and helpful the entire time. She helped me understand what was going on, she was clear and concise. She seemed like she really cared about my problem and she made me trust her. Thank you, Erica.

Khineesha,

Thank you for your review and rating! We are happy Erica was so helpful for you.

Community Tax

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Best way to describe is a sense of calmness, they always call with updates even when people change on my case, Libime ** has not stopped updating me while I was traveling. I truly appreciate the way he doesn’t stop and the way he treats me.

Tony,

Thank you so much for your review and rating! We are happy we could assist you with your tax issues.

Community Tax Company Information