Find the Best Travel Agencies
Compare Reviews for Top Travel Agencies
Read 1,751 Reviews
Online reservation resource for individual, long-term and group hotel bookings. Offers custom quotes from over 100,000 international hotel partners. Guaranteed lowest real-time rates.
Read 7,275 Reviews
Provides domestic and international booking services for affordable and budget-friendly travel. Matches competitor pricing. Rewards members with points for every $1 purchased on flights, hotels, rental cars and travel packages.
Read 8,266 Reviews
With a focus on interface design, BookIt.com strives to offer travelers the most intuitive online travel services available. Their easy-to-navigate website makes booking hotels, airfare and rental cars quick and easy.
|Global Work & Travel|
Read 1,830 Reviews
Offers work, volunteer and travel experiences throughout the world. Options available in North, South and Central America and Europe, Africa, Asia and the Pacific. Provides 24/7 support and a personal trip coordinator.
|Priceline||Read 4,391 Reviews|
Priceline is a website that helps people find travel deals offered by other travel companies, including hotels, airlines and cruise lines. Priceline users can create their own vacation packages by combining services.
Read 3,890 Reviews
Booking.com is a website that helps travelers find discounted rooms in hotels, villas and apartments around the world. Members can place and cancel reservations through the site instead of contacting hotels directly.
|International Travel Network|
Read 330 Reviews
With over 11 years of experience, International Travel Network uses their knowledge of technology to provide solutions for travel agencies, airlines and independent agents.
Read 3,113 Reviews
Hotels.com is an online travel agency that specializes in helping people find and book reservations at hotels, condos, bed and breakfasts and more. The company was founded in 1991 and joined Expedia Inc. in 2002.
Read 5,068 Reviews
Expedia is an online travel agency founded by Microsoft in 2001. The site helps people find and schedule diverse travel services, including car rentals, flights and hotels. It also recommends activities in destination cities.
|Hotwire||Read 1,657 Reviews|
Travel website offering deals and discounts for car rentals, hotels and vacation packages. Sells available inventory from leading travel companies at reduced rates. Offers a low price guarantee.
How to find a travel agency
Travel agencies aren't required to obtain licensing or certification, though recognized organizations accredit and certify members. Travelers can confirm a travel agency's accreditation by looking for the accrediting body's logo on a travel agency's website or brochure.
- ASTA accreditation: ASTA (American Society of Travel Advisors) accreditation assures clients that the agency operates under ASTA's code of ethics and will communicate with clients about unexpected changes to travel plans.
- IATA accreditation: IATA (International Air Transport Association) accreditation provides agencies with a Sales Agency Agreement and a TIDS number that authorizes sales of international and domestic airline tickets.
- Unaccredited agencies: If considering an unaccredited travel agency, take into account that their lack of accreditation could mean they are inexperienced or have had service problems that caused a loss of accreditation.
Credentials are similar to accreditation, though on an individual level. Some travel agents obtain certification through The Travel Institute, which confirms the agent's interpersonal skills and destination knowledge. These types of certifications ensure that travelers are working with an agent that has the necessary experience to anticipate travel issues and provide solutions.
- Certified travel associate (CTA): A CTA is a professional who has a minimum of 18 months in the travel industry and has passed courses to enhance skills and service.
- Certified travel counselor (CTC): A CTC has the skills of a CTA, advanced industry training and five years of industry experience.
- Certified travel industry executive (CTIE): A CTIE is a travel industry professional who has management training within the travel agency.
Travel agencies charge fees for services provided to clients to account for time spent researching and booking travel arrangements. Keep in mind that a travel agent’s inside knowledge of travel-related discounts may make booking through an agency less expensive than self-booking over the internet.
- Airline ticket procurement fee: Travel agencies charge an airline ticket procurement fee for purchasing tickets on behalf of the traveler.
- Travel agency service fees: Other common travel agency fees include fees for booking hotels and rental cars and for time spent researching trips.
- Itemization of costs and fees: While there is no law requiring travel agencies to provide an itemized breakdown of costs and fees, you can request this information to ensure fees are reasonable.
International travel planning
Planning a trip to another country is typically more complex than planning a domestic trip due to extra paperwork and the need to know details about the destination country. A trusted global travel agency can help manage details and paperwork on your behalf.
- Destination-specific research or specialization: Some agents with certification from The Travel Institute are trained in region-specific bookings while others charge for time spent researching destinations.
- Hotel and flight packages: Using a global travel agency to book international hotel and flight packages can cut costs even after agency fees are added. To check for savings, compare online price listings to prices provided by the agency.
- Visa and passport requirements: Having visas and passports in order is vital when traveling to other countries, so confirm which documents are needed with the agency early in the trip-planning process.
Group travel planning
Planning a trip for a group can be challenging because some facilities cannot accommodate groups. Travel agencies find suitable venues and transportation for the entire group. A global travel agency can help you with international group vacations.
- Large-group discounts: Travel agencies have access to discounts based on established relationships with hotels and airline companies to secure a great price for group bookings.
- Transportation: A large group is not going to fit in a standard rental car. Confirm the travel agency is able to book a van or several cars to meet the group's transportation needs.
- Itinerary details for the group: In addition to sleeping arrangements and transportation, eating out and visiting tourist attractions can be problematic for a group. Ask the travel agency to arrange the fine points of the group's trip in addition to handling the larger details.
Land and sea planning
Planning a vacation involves more than selecting a country and booking hotel and airfare. Hiring a travel agency can help make sure travelers enjoy every stop in their itinerary.
- Add a cruise: Talk to your travel agency about adding some sea travel to any vacation. Different onboard accommodations and ports of call allow travelers to extend the reach of their trips.
- Seamless transfers: Making the transfer from onshore accommodations to a cruise ship can eat up almost an entire day, but a travel agent takes care of the hassle by arranging travel to the port at the right time.
- Planning excursions: Ask the travel agent to arrange desired shore excursions at the ship's ports of call that enrich other planned itinerary stops.
Types of travel agencies
Commercial travel agencies
Commercial travel agencies cater to business travelers. These agencies specialize in tracking down deals for business travelers to help companies manage travel costs.
Online travel agencies
Travel agencies that exist only in cyberspace provide clients with the convenience of online booking and discounts that are available only to professional travel agencies. Some agencies offer both online booking and walk-in service for clients.
Niche travel agencies
Niche travel agencies provide clients with specialized knowledge of a region. This enhances the travel experience for clients by ensuring paperwork is in order and providing specific, often first-hand, knowledge of the area tourists are visiting.
Memberships associations give travelers access to the organization's travel planning services for the cost of an annual membership rather than charging per transaction. This type of agency offers the most benefit to frequent travelers.
Who uses travel agencies?
International travelers can cut the stress of planning trips to other countries when a global travel agency manages the details. This includes making sure each traveler has the proper paperwork and booking suitable travel accommodations.
Business travelers can take advantage of savings associated with discounts available only to travel agents. Some travel agencies also handle the detailed expense report paperwork required by the accounting departments of most companies.
Group travelers can save time when looking for accommodations that have room for the entire group by using a travel agency. Group bookings through an agent can also save you money.
Travel bargain seekers
Travel bargain seekers can discuss their travel budget with a travel agent. This is a way to determine what discounts and money-saving packages a travel agency can arrange.
Travel agencies FAQ
- How much does it cost to hire a travel agent?
- Most travel agencies don’t charge customers, meaning the only price you pay is the cost of your trip. Agents are typically paid commissions by the hotels or airlines. Some travel agents may charge service fees from $100 to $500, but that money is usually applied toward the cost of your trip if you complete travel arrangements through the agency.
- How do I know if a travel agent is legit?
- To know if a travel agency is legit:
- Review the agency’s website for a physical address and phone number.
- Check for industry certifications and associations with professional organizations like the American Society of Travel Advisors.
- Read reviews to learn about client experiences. Ask for a list of references.
- Make sure the agent accepts credit cards.
- Compare pricing to make sure cost isn’t too high or too low.
- Does it cost to use a travel agent?
- No, it’s generally free to use a travel agent. A travel agency may charge a service fee or a booking fee, but it’s common for this fee to apply toward the cost of your trip.
- What are the different types of travel agencies?
- The four main types of travel agencies are:
- Commercial travel agencies, which cater mainly to business travelers
- Online travel agencies that help people plan their trips entirely online
- Niche travel agencies, which specialize in arranging trips to specific areas
- Membership associations that provide travel services as a benefit to members
- Why use a travel agent instead of booking online?
- Using a travel agent is a more personalized experience than booking online — and sometimes cheaper. Travel agents are experts who can find the best deals on flights, cruises, hotels and activities. Agents are often available 24/7 in case of problems. And there’s usually no extra cost to use one.
- Can a travel agent save you money?
- Yes, a travel agent can save you money, especially if you’re traveling internationally to unfamiliar territory or if you’re organizing a trip for a big group. In addition to finding you the best deal, a travel agent saves you time planning and researching — often at no cost for services.
- What services do travel agencies provide?
- Travel agencies:
- Find the best deals on flights, hotels, cruises and activities for individuals, families, businesses and groups
- Give clients personalized attention and advice for trip planning
- Offer trip insurance
- Save you time and stress
- Are available 24/7 in case of a problem and advocate on your behalf
- Are you supposed to tip a travel agent?
- No, you don’t need to tip a travel agent. A great way to show appreciation is to refer friends, family members and co-workers. Some people choose to write a thank-you note and/or give a small gift.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Travel agency reviews
HotelPlanner uses online technology to connect customers with hotel group sales managers. Founded in 2003, HotelPlanner offers group travel services in more than twenty languages and partners with more than 50,000 hotels worldwide.
Tours4fun is a full-service travel agency, offering both brick-and-mortar and online customer service options.
Royal Holiday Vacation Club offers memberships that let you travel to nearly 200 destinations in over 50 countries. It has over 100,000 members and has been in business since 1983. Royal Holiday Vacation Club is a subsidiary of Park Royal Hotels and Resorts.
The Global Work & Travel Co. is an Australia-based youth travel organization that specializes in travel for people ages 18 to 30. With offices in the United Kingdom and Canada and over 1,200 travel partner organizations, you will get help with planning and logistics at every step of your journey.
- Experiences: Global arranges working holidays, adventures, volunteer assignments, internships and paid teaching and au pair appointments.
- Working destinations: Depending on the type of experience you want to have, you can work in Australia, Canada, the United States or the UK; you can also au pair in these countries plus New Zealand or Europe. If you’d rather intern, choose from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Italy, Spain, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand or Hong Kong.
- Volunteer destinations: You can volunteer in Africa, Asia, Central America, Europe, South America or the South Pacific or you can teach in Thailand, Peru, South Korea, Vietnam or Myanmar.
- Deposit guarantee: Global knows things sometimes come up in life that might make it hard for you to leave on a trip you’ve been planning. If you’ve paid your deposit, Global will hold it for you as long as it takes until you can go on your trip, and will even let you transfer the deposit to a different type of trip.
- Resources to help you choose: Global is an expert at youth travel, and wants to work with you to be sure you get the most out of your experience. Check out the location guides on their website or call a dedicated Work & Travel Expert to get started.
Vantage Deluxe World Travel was established in 1983 when it started offering affordable deluxe travel to select groups, like teachers unions and alumni associations. Since then, the company has escorted almost half a million travelers all around the world.
Global Vacation Network is a membership association that provides condominium packages and advice for saving on other travel-related details, such as airfare.
The smarTours company has been in business since 1996, offering low-cost group vacation tours to exotic worldwide locales. To date, more than 150,000 satisfied travelers have used smarTours to book their holiday.
Liberty Travel is a traditional brick-and-mortar travel agency with a presence in several major cities in New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, New England, Illinois, California and Florida.
Fox World Travel has 11 regional vacation travel agencies in Wisconsin and has agents who set up trips for corporate travelers all over the United States.
- Find a way: Agents are trained to find a way to put client requests first, even if the requests are challenging.
- Group travel: Traveling in groups is made easy with trips designed for wedding parties, schools, media events, and a range of customizable options.
- Business travel division: The business travel division specializes in meeting the unique needs of business travel like meeting planning services, attendee management, online event booking and more.
- Travel tools available: Travel tools that simplify traveling, such as currency converters and a flight tracker are provided online for clients to use.
- Online booking: Vacation packages can be viewed and booked online through the company website.
Zicasso partners with multiple travel agencies that specialize in specific styles of trips or destinations and puts agencies together with travelers. Founded in 2006, by two world travelers, Zicasso serves the luxury travel market from its headquarters in Mountain View, California.
Trafalgar offers guided tours of popular vacation destinations, such as Europe, North America, South America and Asia, in larger groups of up to 52. Trafalgar also partners with the TreadRight Foundation to support underprivileged communities and work toward sustainable tourism practices.
- Authentic experiences: The guides that are assisting travelers live and work in the communities being toured.
- Travel options: All Trafalgar tours are guided tours, but there are numerous options to choose from. Travelers can decide on a family vacation, country explorations, special interest tours and more.
- Keep options open: Flexibility is built into the travel itinerary for exploring destinations with several nights of free exploration on every tour. This allows travelers to revisit favorite sites or explore areas not covered by the tour group.
- VIP treatment: Trafalgar trips provide exclusive access to sights so travelers avoid waiting in lines.
- Friendly experience: Local guides greet clients and treat them as friends, providing comfort and a sense of welcome in a strange land.
Audley Travel has offered custom-made trips based on client input since opening their doors in 1996. With more than 75 destinations and travel types that range from luxury to road trip, vacationers can create and enjoy their own ideal holiday away.
- Preplanning assistance: Clients can browse the website or discuss interests with a travel planner to get destination ideas.
- Detailed planning: A specialist helps plan each detail of the trip until the client is satisfied and approves the itinerary.
- Pretrip preparation assistance: The assigned specialist is available for questions and reviews the client's itinerary four days before departure.
- Midtrip support: Clients are provided with a number to call that is manned 24/7 if assistance is needed.
- Multiple destinations: Trips to over 75 worldwide locations are offered by Audley Travel.
Compare Reviews for Top Travel Agencies
Read 135 Reviews
Zicasso is a unique travel site that matches clients with three specially selected travel experts to plan a unique itinerary. Plan African safaris or luxury tours in Latin America, Asia and Europe with the help of 24-hour support.
Read 328 Reviews
With a customer count of more than 1.4 million over their 14 years in operation, CheapCaribbean.com offers unique beach vacation packages. Find all-inclusive packages with a full range of search options for easy booking.
|Vantage Deluxe World Travel|
Read 360 Reviews
Offers journeys for solo travelers and groups. Safari, cruise and other adventure options. Provides local guides and experiences. Around-the-world adventures available. Handles flights, accommodations, meals and itineraries.
|Vacations To Go|
Read 232 Reviews
Founded in 1984, Vacations To Go has served more than 5 million vacationers with deeply discounted cruise prices. Vacationers can get up to 82 percent off last-minute cruises, so they can visit popular destinations.
Read 711 Reviews
With Tours4Fun, you can search any destination in the Americas, Europe or Australia and find a complete list of travel tours that include your chosen city. Fine-tune your search with preferences like walking or biking.
Read 729 Reviews
Combining the benefits of an online travel portal, MakeMyTrip.com is the industry leader for India travel. With 20 offices in India and two in the U.S., this concierge service helps make travel stress free.
Read 1,532 Reviews
Travelocity is a website that lets travelers search for discounted prices on hotels, flights, cars and cruises. It was the first website to let people search and book reservations without going through travel agents.
|Overseas Adventure Travel|
Read 146 Reviews
Overseas Adventure Travel is a company that brings travelers beyond the tourism in a country. With an OAT adventure you will travel in a small group to discover the culture and lifestyle of the country that is being visited.
Read 1,101 Reviews
Helps travelers book and manage their vacations to domestic and international destinations. Offers booking services for hotels, cars, flights and vacation packages.
|Orbitz||Read 1,227 Reviews|
Orbitz gives travelers a direct way to research and book travel services. Available services include flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises and activities. Members can also bundle services to save up to $775 on travel plans.
Read 102 Reviews
Funjet Vacations has roots going back more than 40 years and is a part of the Mark Travel Corporation. Funjet offers vacation packages and discounts for a wide variety of destinations and all-inclusive resorts.
|Hilton Grand Vacations|
Read 739 Reviews
Known as one of the most well-known hospitality brands in the world, Hilton Grand Vacations offers accommodations on six continents with more than 550 hotel and resort locations. They also offer spa and entertainment options.
Read 205 Reviews
Founded in 1969, Apple Vacations is one of the leading holiday destination sellers in America. They were the first to bring all-inclusive packages to the U.S. and they boast the largest selection of nonstop flights for travelers.
|American Express Travel|
Read 154 Reviews
American Express Travel allows cardholders to earn extra rewards to spend on travel and pay for a vacation using nothing but points. Both vacationers and business travelers can use AmEx services to book hotels or flights.
Read 744 Reviews
With more than 250 million reviews about over 5.2 million restaurants, attractions and accommodations worldwide, TripAdvisor.com combines information from hundreds of websites to offer the best hotel prices available.
|Grand Circle Travel|
Read 166 Reviews
Originally founded in 1958, Grand Circle Travel has become an industry leader in small ship and river cruising. With vacation destinations worldwide, travelers can explore new vistas by land or sea when they book with GCT.
|People to People International Student Travel Programs||Read 24 Reviews|
Offers immersive travel programs for students. Experience the culture of Africa, Asia, the Americas, Europe and Oceania. Trained educators supervise all pre-planned trips. Cost typically ranges between $5,000 - $10,000.
Read 151 Reviews
Founded in 1967, YMT Vacations has served more than 1.5 million satisfied travelers. Their lowest price guarantee allows you to book with confidence, as they will refund the difference plus 10 percent if you find a lower price.
Read 120 Reviews
Since 1996, smarTours has served over 150,000 travelers. The company offers affordable traveling, tours and cruises. Travelers can choose between five different cruise locations and can choose between over 35 tour locations.
Read 126 Reviews
RailEurope sells train tickets and rail passes for major European railways. It primarily serves travelers from North America. The company has roots going back to the 1930s and is headquartered in White Plains, N.Y.
Read 88 Reviews
Cruises.com is a travel company that connects travelers with the best cruise option for their needs. The company can connect people with over 25 different cruise lines that are traveling all around the world.
|Global Vacation Network|
Read 366 Reviews
Global Vacation Network is a membership-based program that gives members great deals on quality domestic and international condo stays. Members have access to 24-hour travel advice and information via the website and a hotline.
Read 142 Reviews
Liberty Travel can help you plan your holiday to the very last detail through a location search, package vacation ideas and pre-booking for spa treatments and dining out. Some locations even include a personal guide.
Read 62 Reviews
Vacation Internationale is a travel company that connects people with a trip who want a leisure experience. Their resorts offer spacious condominiums to ensure comfort and relaxation.
Read 539 Reviews
Cheaptickets.com is a travel service website founded in 1986. The site offers members discounts on car rentals, flights, cruises, hotels and other travel-related services. As of 2006, Orbitz is Cheaptickets.com's parent company.
Read 173 Reviews
An independent subsidiary of The Priceline Group, Kayak.com processes over 1 billion travel queries each year. Available in over 30 countries and 18 languages, they offer discounts on hotels, airfare and car rentals.
Read 12 Reviews
Outward Bound is a program that provides outdoor education to youth and adults, including adventures like sailing and rafting. The company's website provides a search tool that helps people easily find the correct trip for them.
Read 107 Reviews
SkyAuction describes themselves as a travel auction marketplace, where they negotiate deals with airlines, hotels and more so their customers get the best deals. The company has been in business since 1999.
Read 347 Reviews
Founded in 1995, Airfare.com is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Their bulk buying strategy for airfare helps travelers save up to 70 percent off the price of airline tickets through airline discount consolidation.
|Executive Tour and Travel|
Read 66 Reviews
Executive Tour and Travel Services, Inc. (ETTSI) has been in business since 1989 and is based in Daytona Beach, Fla. The travel agency offers vacation and cruise packages to a variety of destinations.
|Vacation Tour & Travel|
Read 109 Reviews
Visit premier U.S. destination cities in both the Eastern and Western half of the country with Vacation Tour & Travel. Package owners get exclusive resort access and special deals through a partnership with Carnival Cruises.
|Global Travel International|
Read 80 Reviews
Global Travel International (GTI) was founded in 1994 and is a membership organization for independent travel agents. Members can work as travel agents and, with the company’s Travel Program, enjoy savings on personal travel.
|Cruises-N-More||Read 18 Reviews|
Cruises-N-More, established in 1998, offers discounted cruises for all types of sailings, including luxury cruises and river cruises. Consumers can also use the site to book hotels, rental cars, tours and shore excursions.
|Grand Canyon Tour Co.||Read 25 Reviews|
The Grand Canyon Tour company opened in 1984. It offers bus tours of the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam that leave from Las Vegas. Travelers can also purchase VIP tours, helicopter rides, rafting trips and more through the company.
|Audley Travel||Read Author Review|
Audley Travels asks, "What kind of journey would you like to take, and when would you like to leave?" Beach, cultural, family, wildlife and more, there is something for everyone to enjoy in Audley Travels' tailor-made tours.
|Fox World Travel||Read Author Review|
Fox World Travel allows you to search through many different vacation options and packages, including Disney vacations. The system makes it simple to set up a destination wedding, group holiday or getaway for one.
|Trafalgar||Read Author Review|
Trafalgar prides itself on being a network of "insider" travelers that put real insight into their vacations and tours. Search for itineraries based food and drink, family-friendly or Europe, the U.S., Canada, Asia and Britain.
|VIP Travel Reservations Inc|
Read 41 Reviews
|Out Of Business|
VIP Travel Reservation is a travel agency based in Port Orange, Fla.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.