Hilton Grand Vacations
1.30/5
Based on 79 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Hilton Grand Vacations

543 Hilton Grand Vacations Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

We were promised under a time duress so no lawyer could read the pages of legal jargon, that our points would roll over indefinitely. LIE!! I was guaranteed that I could easily book a vacation with under a month's notice. Complete LIE. Right now I am scrambling to book vacations I don't want so that I don't lose my points. This has been a horrible decision right from the beginning. I was explicit that my lifestyle made it so I could only book vacations in a short term manner, I explained clearly that if longer time was needed I would not be able to do it.

The salespeople including a manager GUARANTEED I would have no problem booking in under a Month or 2. LIE. There's almost NEVER AVAILABILITIES THAT SHORT OUT. I expected more from the Hilton Brand, than name means nothing to me anymore other than dishonesty, lack of understanding, and thievery of the average working person. Since I am honest this makes it nearly impossible to sell. In my opinion don't even go to listen to the sales pitch. Luckily I have thousands of followers on Facebook and Instagram, my story will be told over and over.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Our experience with HGV has been horrible. They use predatory deceptive practices, very skillfully manipulative. I never dreamed that I could be duped so badly and repeatedly. Run, Run away. They will cost you lots of extra fees, for stays that you could book yourself for less money. They outright lied about locations and availability. Every time you contact them it costs some fee. Please contact me if there is a class action suit.

Hilton Grand Vacations Reviews (Updated May 2018) | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 11, 2018

The overall resort was very nice, however, it was most definitely overshadowed by the pushy, condescending and relentless efforts of the Vacation Club Staff to sell us a membership. From the onset we were forthright and upfront explaining that we were not in any financial position to make a purchase of any type with two daughters in college, yet they kept us there for 2 1/2 hours with multiple sales people coming at us. We also explained that we could not even use all of our seven nights because the Washington DC property was not available.

We were also told we had an expiration date on the VIP package. The experience put a terrible damper on our stay, we will never do business with Hilton again. It is unfathomable that the sales team tried to sell us MORE packages when they would not even accommodate what we already purchased! We paid $1700 for seven nights and TripAdvisor can book the same property for $750 - a $1,000 difference. I hope our unfortunate experience will lead Hilton Vacation Club to examine their customer service because it was less than stellar.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Was called by Hilton Honors in 2016 for a discounted weekend in Las Vegas but would have to attend a 1.5 hour presentation, it was 4 hours of wasted and harasses time. After naively purchasing a VIP package from Hilton’s presentation (believing people are truthful, moral and use their value system) we were told could easily book a vacation in NC - as long as it’s one year in advance. At the first moment of business that day (one year later), though we did try to call a few times earlier and told to we had to wait, was told property was already booked up. Got stuck in MYRTLE Beach no other option. Then after booking was told we had to attend another sales pitch or we would be charged more money (was NEVER told this in LV) another SCAM. Salesperson talked nonstop even though first thing told them was in uninterested and wanted to leave and not have either of us lose an hour of our precious time.

He tells us we are all just a numbers game and he sees 4 people a day and will sell to the rest. I sat there in silence and looked at my watch while he said we had to make small talk for 1 hour, I told him clock began when we checked in. I looked at my watch occasionally. He looked uncomfortable tried to shame me a few times in a passive aggressive manner for not allowing him to give his spiel. Was told I was aggressive though I was firm stating not interested and they told me I must stay for the full presentation. The sales rep brought in a closer and I stood firm saying NO and wanting to leave, they tried every tactic, but I countered them. Told them both not to take things personally because whatever sales rep was in front of me I would have said and done the same thing. They took it personally! What rubbish!

Was told “we are not putting a gun to your head” and “why did you come to this.” “Why are you so aggressive” (my silence stunned them) and I am a women, perhaps not use to firm and confuse it as aggression! Also since the year we purchased this product (2016) was harassed by Hilton products via phone daily, up to 5 times almost every day. Blocked the numbers and new calls appeared. Sales reps blamed The Hilton Honors, then they said something to the fact that’s the norm. Will cancel being a Hilton Honors member shortly.

Original review: July 6, 2018

My husband called a Hilton Hotel to check on our upcoming reservation. Since we are Hilton Honors members he was put on a phone call with a very aggressive salesperson who sold him a vacation in NYC. They took his credit card info and charged it immediately. We have since called and emailed a number of times trying to get our money back as we don't plan to spend another $2,000 to get to NYC to use our one-night lodging certificate - plus have to listen to a sales presentation. This is nothing but a scam operation and Hilton Hotels should be ashamed that they are accosting their Hilton Honors members with it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hilton?

Original review: July 3, 2018

My husband called Hilton Honors to see if he had any points available for our stay in Orlando. Somehow the Hilton Honors person convinced him to sit through a "sales presentation" for a low price on one of their resorts over the weekend. The sales pitch was aggressive and misleading. When you attend the presentation they make comments how only "smart" people know that they shouldn't leave without taking the deal, and offer ridiculously easy financing. This is fine for me, because I see through the veil, but I saw many people who probably couldn't afford it, particularly foreigners, getting bullied into buying into something based on the aggressive sales tactics.

The saleswoman was getting very angry every time I challenged her and was combative asking me personal questions about my hotel history and background. I would have expected this from certain timeshare companies, but I am surprised that Hilton stoops this low. Also, the $200 Hilton credit we were promised is a scam. You have to mail in for a "rebate" later after you stay at another Hilton property. This was a completely awful experience. Don't be fooled into it.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Being a platinum member of Hilton Honors we were offered the 3 day 4 night special for $129.00 with an agreement to go to a 2 hour sales presentation, we gladly paid the $129.00 and agreed. The place we stayed at was the Tuscany Village in Orlando Florida. We arrived on Friday evening, checked in to the resort and was happy with the accommodations. The following day we went to the presentation and stayed dealing with the salesmen for 4 hours.

We told them the deal they offered didn’t make sense after doing my comparison, the salesman that was appointed to us went for reinforcements and a second high pressure salesman came in and presented his offers and his is math calculations and gave us as he called it the “Best Deal Ever”. The deal that was offered was 3400 points every other year at a cost of 16,400.00 with 10% down at a monthly cost of $438.00 for 10 years. I proceeded to do my math, told him it was a ridiculous deal, said no and gave our goodbyes, the closer walk in to sign us out and made us an even better deal, refused and got the hell out of there and never looked back. Moral of the story, there is a sucker born every day, don’t be one! Thank you HGVC for a wonderful weekend for $129.00.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Promised: We would stay at Oceans 22, a beautiful resort on Myrtle Beach, SC. We would have a choice when we could reserve (partially true). We would have a choice when to go to the timeshare presentation. We would have a room with a view. The timeshare presentation would last 2 hours. We would receive a $200 hotel stay at any Hilton resort following the timeshare presentation.

Reality: We stayed at a three star Hampton Inn in Myrtle Beach, SC. The $174.00 package was sold to us in spring 2017. No hotels were available for summer 2017 and they allowed us to defer our package until the following year. They recommended we call in November, December, and January of 2018 to get the dates we wanted. I called every week until dates became available for summer 2018. And when I called, everything was apparently booked for Oceans 22 and other 4-5 star resorts. The best the representative could find was a Hampton Inn.

They automatically choose a timeshare presentation time for us, knowing we had kids (5,2) with us. The timeshare presentation coincided with lunch and nap time (brilliant! ). Our hotel room was a smelly closet that faced into another building/room/patio. We ended up leaving after the first night. The timeshare presentation lasted 3 hours. Needless to say, our kids had enough (and so did we!). We received a $200 REBATE that expires in 6 months for a only a Hampton Inn. It requires us to mail it in, and wait 8-10 weeks to receive a VISA check card-not our actual money. This program is a scam and these cronies should be put in jail for false advertisement.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I highly discourage anyone from buying from this operation. We had a good weekend at the Elara in Las Vegas, but didn't buy the package they showed up. They said, reconsider... Buy a 1500, maybe 1625 package that will give us an opportunity to experience the other places. We bought it. I called more than 10 times to try to book vacations but they didn't have time slots that fit our schedule. We finally had to book a time in NY because it's the only place they had available. Our location was the Club Hilton, blocks off Central Park. The room was a studio, didn't have a couch. The bed was a pillow top and my wife couldn't sleep because when I moved, the bed moved.

After numerous complaints, I slept on the floor. I talked to the management and they said they didn't have rooms with two beds, couldn't bring a bed in because of ordinances. They wouldn't even give me extra pillows to sleep on. I'm here for my 23rd anniversary which is today. I'm on here because I'm pissed off of their lack of customer service and concern. They have 47 hotels in NY but couldn't find a way to help us. Do yourself a favor. Look somewhere else... they don't value customers. I will no longer use any of their brands unless forced to... goodbye Hampton, Doubletree, Embassy etc. Screw me here with all the options to help, you lose me. I'm off to Priceline to buy a room I can sleep in forfeiting my package I bought.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Almost a year ago I was in Orlando with my family at a Hilton property and purchased on impulse a prepaid vacation which would have been 2 payments of 179.00, part payment made upon purchasing the vacation and the other due upon staying. We were told that we could use it in Orlando or another state, but they were pushing the newer property in Orlando. I inquired about uses in other states since perhaps we would not want to travel to Orlando at that time and the timeshare employee told us that this would be no problem and could be used elsewhere since we live in Los Angeles and might want to use it in Las Vegas. The gentleman at the Doubletree Lake Buena Vista assured me that we could and there was nothing in writing excluding this.

When I tried to book, I was told that they did not have anything available for two of the properties we asked about. I asked what dates they had available and they said they could not inform me but that I had to give exact dates. When I did, they claimed that they did not have 3 consecutive dates/days together so I asked about 2 consecutive days. They claimed they had only single days which means if I travelled to Las Vegas, I would have to pay for a hotel for a day or two and then stay one day at HGV. No. I called back today and was also told that despite my original contract stating it was for 2 adults and 2 children, I would not be able to adjust my dates and instead of traveling with a friend who was locked in to specific dates because of her job, I could not opt for another dates and bring my mom and 9 year old because the Las Vegas property would only accommodate 2 people.

Well that's not what my contract stated. I pointed out what my contract stated. So the gentleman Alex who was very polite but admitted that he was unclear what I meant indicated that this was only for the Orlando resort. So, I have been scammed out of 179.00. I was told the day before that they can extend it by 3 months for an additional 50.00 and if I want to add a person it would cost about 89.00 roughly total. What? I will cut my losses and move on. I would never buy a timeshare from them or anyone else, but now the Hilton properties have left a bad taste in my mouth and I will not stay at any.

I was not particularly angry, just expected them to honor what they promised. Do not purchase. Total bait and switch scam. Thankfully it was not more. DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE A DIME. Book at a regular hotel and do not buy a timeshare. Countless number of complaints. Something that should have been simple has turned into a scam. Shame on Hilton.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Eight months ago I was talked into a 4 night stay in the new Hilton Village in Honolulu, HI at the cost of $799.00 if I took a tour of the hotel for 2 hours. I would also receive a $200 voucher for an additional stay at a later date and get a sunset cruise for $75.00. I paid all money and even upgraded for a 7 night stay paying a total of $1,500.00. Got Hawaii Airline airfare at the cost of $3,020.00

A week before I am to leave I get calls and emails saying they were canceling my stay because my boyfriend and I were disqualified from the $200 voucher, the hotel stay and the sunset cruise because we were not married and not legally divorced from our previous spouses (both of us have been separated from our spouses for over 5 years and in process of signing papers). Hilton took my $1,500.00 saying that it was in the script of the caller and they explained I had to be married to receive the package deal (They did not word it that way when calling)... I feel this is a violation of rights protected by discrimination laws. Total scam. Don’t fall for it!!! You will lose your money.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I was talked into a 3 night stay in Hilton Head at the cost of $320 if I listened to a sales pitch for a timeshare. I would also receive a $200 voucher for an additional stay at a later date. I paid all money, drove over 5 hrs and stayed 30 mins outside of HH at the cost of $320. Drove 30 mins to the presentation and sat through the 1 hr and 10 min sales pitch. As we were leaving they told us we were disqualified from the $200 voucher because we were not legally divorced from previous spouse (separate for years and in process of signing papers). Total scam. Don’t fall for it.

Original review: June 22, 2018

We travel all over the country, sometimes staying in very nice places. We just left the Hilton Grand Vacation in Vegas. This was probably the cleanest room we’ve ever stayed in. The bathroom was spotless. No hair. Corners perfectly clean. It wasn’t new but it was sure clean!!

Original review: June 16, 2018

This company solicited me for a "vacation package" - 3 days, 2 nights with the agreement that I would submit to a timeshare presentation at the destination (Las Vegas). I booked it and paid over the phone as it was required to make an instant decision (first mistake I made). Second, I choose a random future date knowing that I could change it after consulting with my family members about the dates (mistake #2). Well, the destination nor the dates worked for my family. So, I called back and switched the destination to Myrtle Beach.

I was required to pay additional money for the switch. I paid it (3rd mistake). My total at this point was $224.63. However, I was unable to book the dates for Myrtle Beach because I wanted a date further out than what Hilton could extend. I was told to call back. When I called back the next time, I was told the summer dates were unavailable. I said I wanted to cancel the vacation and I was willing to lose the money, because I was upset with this bait and switch tactic.

Time passed, and I called again on June 16, 2018 to request September at Myrtle Beach (realizing it would be after the busy summer). I was told that Myrtle Beach was booked through November. I was offered New York (for $309.00, and additional $84.37). And, Hilton could not guarantee where I would stay - there were at least 6 possibilities of where it might be (all Hilton properties in Manhattan). Here is where I pulled the plug and called their bluff. Hilton can keep my $224.63. Lesson learned - I was scammed/bamboozled/led astray. Hilton offers this vacation, requires one day back, and then makes it impossible for you to travel when it is convenient to you or to a location convenient for you.

Here is what I learned, Hilton cannot accommodate me for their initial solicitation, which gives me great insight into how they will treat me as an owner. NO THANK YOU. KEEP MY MONEY - you saved me a greater mistake. And by the way, I happen to be a Hilton Honors Member. I guess that's why I got the offer in the first place. Honors members are captive audiences for this gimmick. Shame on Hilton!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I wish I could give 0 stars. After a year of trying to use the confirmation code we purchased, our choices were go somewhere we did not want to when we had time off or go where we wanted at a time when we could not get off. I am not going to say scam, but they make it so very inconvenient unless you don't care when or where you go. I would not recommend unless you just have money to flush...

Original review: June 14, 2018

We have owned this for 4 years and have not been able to use it once. They oversell their properties and make it difficult to get any reservations. It might be great for people who book their vacations 9 months in advance every year, but good luck trying to book anything within a few months of your travel dates. If they do have 2 nights available you have to pay cash instead of using your points because they require a 3 night stay, I find it interesting that they seem to have a lot of 2 night stays available. Save your money. Their timeshare is not worth it.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Company refuses refund. Sales package presented on the phone-told not to interrupt or the sales person, "Howard" would have to start over-unable to comprehend the content of the contract-never heard "nonrefundable". Called within 24 hours to cancel. Told "nonrefundable". We feel this is a scam-they want your money and telling you not to interrupt allows them to sell the product without clarity.

Original review: June 7, 2018

After booking a stay with Hilton in the US I was offered a Grand Vacations Package. I paid for the package and was contacted to schedule my holidays. The dates made available were few and very inconvenient which basically meant that it would be impossible for me to take advantage of the package given my work travel schedule. Last time I spoke to HGV, they were more focused on selling me an extension and getting more money rather than providing availability dates that made sense.

Original review: June 4, 2018

My wife and I have been members for 6 years and have had enough of the lies! We worked our way up to Elite membership and everything we were told about the benefits has been false. We have never had early check in or late checkout. Not even by 30 minutes. After our last meeting our salesperson told us not true. This trip to Florida we traveled with multiple families and neither family were Elite status. They were in their rooms by 230 while we sat poolside till 415. We were looking at moving up to Elite plus on this vacation but just can’t see why.

Our stay Parc Soleil we had to change rooms after 24 hours because of a water leak and mold smell. Upper level management didn’t care about a bad experience but lower level was trying hard to make things right. All week we waited for meals at the poolside for at least 60 minutes. We left after the first week and moved into Tuscany Resort and can already see the hotel needs updating. The kitchen drawers barely slide and the appliances are tired. Bathrooms are very dated.

My wife and I realize the amount of money we spend every year on maintenance fees and mortgage for property that we could of done more vacations anywhere and probably at nicer resorts. They approach you during the owner updates like a used car salesman. High pressure sales and they always want you stay on schedule to add more points. They do a poor job explaining the reasoning for this other than you can deed it over to your kids for life. When you say no they storm off like a 3 yo that doesn’t get their way never to be seen again... Do your math before you make a 100k mistake. Wish I could do it all over again and would run away very fast!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

I was sold a vacation pkg at a oceanfront condo for 4. When I got here I realized they pulled a bait and switch by putting me in a Hampton Inn. A far cry from the Oceanfront condo I was told I was buying when I booked. When I called to complain management would not even get on the phone. The lady said to leave if I didn’t like it. It was after 8 pm and I had been traveling since 4 am. My companion didn’t want to repack and go find a room elsewhere this late and in the dark so we stayed. They specifically told me I would be oceanfront.

This isn’t anywhere close to even being able to see the water-much less oceanfront. The room has holes and stains in the carpet. It is old and poorly maintained. This place is a dump. Hilton pulled a bait and switch from what they told me I was getting and what I actually got. I wouldn’t buy a vacation membership, from Hilton now if I had to after the fast one they pulled on this. I should have checked reviews first. I’m not the only one who this has happened to.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I am very disappointed with the experience I've had with HGV. I bought a timeshare with them over a year ago. They told me the price would only go up if I didn't buy it that day and they were giving me a package they only gave to previous owners. I believed them, then found out that wasn't true as I had friends who later went to the presentation because of me and did not want to buy. They were aggressive at selling and would give different stories based off of your situation.

I've been trying to get rid of my timeshare as it is costing me all of my hard earned money and I haven't even been able to travel with it at all. It is impossible to get ahold of them and takes 21 days for them to get back to you. Just got an email back from them saying my timeshare is only worth 1,500 to 2,000 and they would not recommend selling. Also, they would take 25% out for commission... Since I bought it for around $17,000 and still have an outstanding balance, I would have to pay a large sum to sell it. I feel like I have been tricked into a scam just because I have had great experiences with Hilton. They are clearly not the same and I wish I would have read reviews before I bought a useless timeshare from them.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I purchased a package to stay at a Hilton Grand Vacation location, however the company booked my at a random hotel instead. In June of 2017 I was sold a package for a 3 night/ 4 day stay at a Hilton Grand Vacation hotel for a low rate of $250 on the condition I attend a sales presentation during my stay. I was told I would be staying at one of two HGV locations in Myrtle Beach, SC. When I called this past April to book a reservation for this package I chose memorial day weekend because my husband is in the military and it is the only time he can get away. The sales representative I spoke to said they had a room available those dates at the Carolinian Beach resort for an extra $100 fee due to the holiday, I agreed to the fee and she made the reservation for me.

At the time I was under the impression that the Carolinian Beach Resort was one of the two Hilton Grand Vacation hotels where I was originally told I would be staying when I made the purchase back in June 2017. However, after I looked into the hotel I realized this was not one of the two HGV hotels, just a random nearby hotel. When I made this discovery I called back and spoke to another sales representative. I told him I wanted to stay at one of the two locations I was promised, either the Oceans 22 or Anderson Ocean Club. I told him I was somewhat flexible on the dates and location and we could go between now and mid July to either Myrtle Beach or the HGV in Hilton Head.

He said the earliest opening at the Myrtle Beach locations were in November. He also said the only way there were openings at the Hilton Head location was to stay in a two bedroom unit which wasn't really a possibility unless I wanted to pay an extra $150 a night. Unfortunately waiting to go in November is not an option for my husband and I due to the fact we will be moving to Japan mid July on official military orders. Frustrated but out of options I stuck with the original reservation at the Carolinian Beach Resort over the memorial weekend. The reservation number is ** to arrive 05/25/2018 and checkout 05/28/2018. I called back a few weeks later to see if perhaps there were any rooms that became available at the HGV locations but was told no and that I could check back.

Today I called again and was told once again there were no rooms available for those dates. I also asked if that was the case if we could still have access to some of the facilities at the HGV locations during are stay, such as the fitness center and the pool. However, I was told no I would only be allowed access to the facilities at the Carolinian Beach Resort. I am extremely disappointed with this whole ordeal and wish I had never purchased the package in the first place. I understand this package was an opportunity to demonstrate the type of customer service and expectations I could expect in potentially buying a timeshare with Hilton Grand Vacations.

My husband and I were good candidates for potentially buying this type of package due to the fact we travel very often for work. However I am so unimpressed with how this ordeal was handled and how it was presented. I feel I have been lied to and deceived and this is not the kind of first impression I would think the company would want to make.

Now after arriving at the hotel they booked for us I find myself even more disappointed. The hotel they put us up at is horrible! It’s 1 star compared to what I was promised. I am so upset and frustrated and I feel as though I have been scammed completely. Every time I called to ask for help, and to ask to be given what I purchased the representatives treated me with total disrespect. This is unacceptable in my opinion. My father in law is a pilot who is a very frequent Hilton customer and my mother is a travel agent and they both agree Hilton is no longer a company they will recommend.

Original review: May 21, 2018

After booking a hotel room with Hilton we were told to remain on the line for a special Hilton Honors promotion. The promotion was for 4 days & 3 nights, no blackout dates, and at any of the Hilton properties that are on their specific promotional website for $199. We chose Washington DC with the agreement that we could change the destination without a fee at anytime prior to booking. We contacted them to book our vacation only to find there were hidden costs such as paying a daily rate for parking at the hotel and also if the hotel we chose was considered by them to be a premium hotel would be extra. We viewed the site and choose a hotel in Myrtle Beach as there were no parking fees. It was January 2018 when we called and we asked if we could book in late September 2018 in Myrtle Beach. We were told yes, but we'd have to call back in late March early April as they don't have the dates of availability yet.

We called the 1st week in April only to be told they are sold out of all the September dates. We asked for other dates & were told none were available. We called back after picking a different hotel & were told the same thing. We called back at least 15 times only to speak with a different Hilton Grand Vacations rep every time we called. Each rep we spoke with gave us different & conflicting information from the other reps. What a nightmare trying to find a hotel & dates that we could get time off from work. In the end we gave up & finally told them to give us the dates that we were allowed to go and which hotel they would allow us to stay at. They said contractually they were unable to provide us with that information.

We finally asked for dates going day by day starting out 3 weeks from our conversation. Once we did this them seemed more accommodating as they wanted us in right away. Since it was 3 weeks away, they more than happily told us the name of a hotel and the dates the hotel had availability. Luckily we were able to get the time off of work. In regards to the time share vacation package, the presentation was not high pressure, the resort they showed us was nice, but the price and fees were higher than we normally would pay for a 1-2 week vacation. For us it didn't make sense to buy into their package especially if booking a vacation could potentially be as difficult as booking the trip to Myrtle Beach was.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Signed up for a package and agreed to go to a 2 hour sales pitch. We choose Hilton Head, was told we were going to stay at Hilton Grand Vacation Club or a Hilton Hotel. We were booked at a Best Western not on the beach and a room that stinks. They would move us to the Hilton Grand for another 250.00. DO NOT take them up on their great offer. It is a scam!!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Looking at my savings.com app, the offer of a vacation for $149.00 popped up. After looking at reviews, should have done first. I disputed the amount with my card company; no problem. Problem with timeshares is that they can be very expensive and the annual maintenance fees ridiculous. There are many websites where you can find the best resorts for pennies on the dollar. We got 3 weeks in highly desirable areas for $5,000.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I was hornswoggled into paying for one of these things. I balked just a little and they gave me an extra day plus 2 additional days somewhere else. I wonder what more they would have offered. Anyway, the pitch was incredibly aggressive, and I couldn't hang up. There is some high level advertising theory at work here, and I hate being the victim of it. I tried to get a refund the day after but it was refused. I actually can't remember if they said it was nonrefundable. If they did say it, they certainly did not say it clearly. The receipt I received said it was nonrefundable--in tiny type at the bottom of the receipt. Ah well. I'm going to complain wherever I can.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I went to the West 57th Street by Hilton location on 3/4/18 and they did the hard sell tactic for the ownership program. We declined and we offered a vacation introductory program for $1,695 for 7 days. We were told it included food and liquor. When we went to book days, we were told there was a change and it no longer included food and liquor only for owners. This is the typical bait and switch. I would have not purchased the intro offer if it did not include food and liquor. So, now I am trying to get a refund. Wish me luck.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Despite blocking the HGV phone number, they still managed to get through to me on my business phone number. When I resisted the offer of a cheap stay at a Hilton in Myrtle Beach or Orlando, they piled on enough perks for me to arrange to do some business in Myrtle Beach. I was offered my choice of HGV properties in the city, though they were pushing the DoubleTree. I made the reservation in August of 2017, and was told it was “too early” to confirm, and that I should call back in November to a specific extension. When I called in November, the phone extension was not working. In March of 2018 HGV contacted me to confirm my stay and told me I was booked into the DoubleTree. When I stated that my first choice had been another (premier) property, I was told they could fit me in, but I would have to pay $60 per day valet parking (which had NOT been mentioned in the "you can stay in any of these hotels" pitch).

It was a clear Bait-and-Switch. I then opted to stay with the DoubleTree. The property is a dump—room dirty, linens of poor quality, maid service cursory at best, room service food arrives in a take-out box at standard Hilton prices. I had to leave the patio doors open 24/7 to alleviate the smell in the room. Moldings were broken and the institutional furniture was chipped and in bad condition. I had political graffiti scrawled on my car in the guests-only covered garage two nights in succession. I received a “you must attend the sales meeting” message from HGV three nights in a row at 1:15 a.m. Following instructions to delete the message from the system did not work, and although management assured me it would be removed, it was not. I was waked at 1:15 a.m. by a buzzing phone EVERY NIGHT.

The sales presentation—stated in writing on my reservations contract not to exceed 2 hours—is rigid and personnel deliberately obfuscate prices. When I told the rep exactly what portions I would be interested in, she repeatedly told me I had to go through the entire written script. I told her I had a recent knee injury and would find the walking tour difficult, and she again said I had to participate. Keep in mind if they don’t mark you as released, you automatically pay full rack rate for your stay. I was told there was an elevator—yes, but after having to go downstairs to get to the street and walk across to the building. The rep apparently thought she was portraying herself in a positive light by saying that she had made an elderly woman who could hardly walk take the tour by "walking real slow".

The cost of the median program in approximately $51,000 (with closing costs) with a minimum down payment of over $11,000. The yearly HOA—which increases a minimum of 1% per year—amortized over 30 years is an additional approximately $39,000. If you bring this up, you receive additional obfuscation or “I’m not a numbers person” comments. After you tell the sales rep “no”, they bring in a manager (again, they don’t release you). The manager pulls another hard sell. After remarking that the HGV presentation resembled a Scientology pitch, I tried to get out of it by saying I was not interested at this time, maybe next year. HUGE mistake. I was then taken to a British woman who presented a bogus “Price freezing” plan in which HGV takes $1800 for 7 days stay at one of a limited number of resorts in return for a “price freeze” for 18 months.

After REPEATEDLY saying NO and being argued with and again comparing the badgering to a Scientology pitch (twice), I then had to argue for the exact benefits I had been promised. All told, I was kept 3 ½ HOURS. I had been the only single female in the group—which I do not find coincidental; the parking lot was empty when they finally “released” me. The final hour of badgering to the point of abuse has not only turned me against HGV, but has turned this lifelong Hilton Honors member completely against the hotel chain. Whatever they offer you, it's NOT WORTH PARTICIPATING.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I got sucked into doing the tour of Ocean 22 and buying the VIP package for $1,695 with the promise of 7 days in a 2 bedroom. Sweet! However, booking it is impossible. No dates are available. All they have is a 1 bedroom. So now 2 less of my friends can join. Definitely won't be buying... not because of this but rather it's a terrible financial decision. Don't fall for their schemes, just confidently say no and walk away. You still can't beat $1,695 for 7 nights at this place. Considering they don't care about wowing the client and making what they said would happen, this is clearly just another revenue stream for them. I was also surprised to hear I would be responsible for $10 parking per night. Customer service agents sounded like they weren't thrilled to be talking to me. I supposed I would be like that too if I worked at such a company.

Original review: April 17, 2018

We are original owners at the Hilton Club NY since 2002 (we were one of the first couples to purchase and had our name with others on a plaque in the owners' lounge). We paid $11,000 for our original ownership and paid the mortgage off early. We enjoyed our stays at the timeshare when we went into NYC. In 2015 we went in for an anniversary weekend and were approached by a sales team member who said they had a special offer only for original members. They told us that we could upgrade our timeshare to a deeded one for much less than the price that would be offered for general sale. This was only offered to original owners (we were told). They showed us what the timeshare was worth and told us they would buy back the original ownership for the amount we paid and apply that towards the new contract in addition to increasing our annual points and a 2 week bonus points.

We were told it would be a great investment since we were getting it at much a much lower retail price. We were sold. Unfortunately, we come to find out 3 years later that the timeshare is not worth what they told us, it is now much much lower than our mortgage and we are losing money every month we keep it. If we sell it back they take a whopping 25% commission (this is ridiculous). We feel absolutely deceived. By the time the mortgage is paid we will have paid 2 times more than it is worth. We have looked into selling ourselves but a reputable real estate agent told us it is only worth half of what we want to sell for. It seems we are stuck and will be out a huge amount of money.

I do not understand how resorts are able to get away with this. These sale tactics have to be illegal???? They are deceiving people out of their life savings and what they thought was an investment. The annual fees are climbing and now it is at the point where we can get the same rooms on travel websites for less than what we pay in annual fees. We are at a loss as to what to do. We will never ever buy into timeshare again. If anyone is in the same situation and thinking of pursuing legal action please feel free to contact me.

Hilton Grand Vacations Company Information