TripAdvisor

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had been letting my cottage with TripAdvisor (originally HolidayLettings) for nearly 7 years. All was good under HolidayLettings until TripAdvisor took control. Without going into every last detail of how poor they have become I will be brief and give readers the main reasons why I am no longer with them. My subscription renewal was just about doubled this year with no explanation at all. I did reply to an email that was sent to me requesting an explanation, expecting all the usual pathetic reasons they normally give you, but what I actually got was nothing. They could not even be bothered to respond to this valued customer that has been handing cash over to them for the previous 6 years. I have become very aware of what TripAdvisor are doing. They do not want owners paying subscriptions as they can make much more cash by forcing owners to use their pay as you book method.

The service charge as they call it adds substantial costs to the holidaymaker unless the owner drops the cost of the renting the cottage. They have got the nerve to suggest that you advertise for free using this method. True only if guests are prepared to pay up to 15% more for their holiday, but of course adding 15% or so to the cost of your cottage is bound to result in lower bookings, hence it's not free. The bottom line is that they are forcing costs up considerably for holiday makers. As a subscription payer you were also subject to having your advert dropped down the list of cottages advertised and giving potential customers the view that your booking was only safe if you booked through the TripAdvisor platform and not to the owner direct, which was very insulting.

The other problem with TripAdvisor is that if you have a problem as an owner you have very little chance of contacting anyone. Every route you try sends you around in circles on their helpdesk which is as I have found incredibly frustrating and never answered my questions. So be aware, as a holiday home booker with TripAdvisor, you are paying a very high service fee for very little service. I booked a holiday last year through TripAdvisor and paid well over £200 to them as part of the cost, for what? No more letting my cottage through them or booking a holiday through them.

I used to like TripAd and I have done countless reviews for it and received endless thank-you emails. I rarely write a bad review, but recently I did, for a truly awful restaurant. It was published and then mysteriously taken down, along with several others done around the same time - mostly positive. The reason given in each case was that I was connected with the establishment - totally untrue. I emailed TripAdvisor and got a nonsensical computer generated response, tried again and the same, so I took down my profile and around 90 reviews. I have to conclude that Tripadvisor is now commercially dominated and takes down reviews when they upset large customers. Shame - it used to be good - now no longer.

Trip Advisor states on their website that you can cancel a booking within 24 hours of making a booking or 60 days before a booking. We booked our stay less than 60 days of but called before the 24 hour period was up and was told we could not cancel since the landlord we were wanting to rent from had not responded and accepted our booking yet. We live in the United States and he was in Italy where we were booking. They said he had 24 hours to respond as well. At this point he had a hour left to say yes or no. If he even decided to respond. So we only had an hour to be able to cancel in that 24 hour period and they still would not let us cancel before he responded. He responded with minutes left and it did not give us enough time to cancel. The landlord then informed us there would not be enough beds. At this point we were already international and had patchy phone and internet service .

When we final could call Trip Advisor again and told them the situation it was days later and they refused to return a 70 Euro service fee to us... They never provided us with service in the first place when we tried to cancel the first time. I do not feel it is their right to take our money. We will be talking to our credit card company too. I just do not want this to happen to anyone else. We are a family of 4 with 2 small children, we usually use Airbnb but decided to try Trip advisor just this once and this is what happens. How can a company do this to people.

Avoid TripAdvisor at all cost. I rented 2 houses using this website and that was a fraud. I reported to TripAdvisor about the fraud and they didn't take any action. I lost my money with was 4.876.00 dollars. TripAdvisor ad could be fake and they don't take any action, the ad is still online. When I got there the owner of the house didn't even know his house was for rent at TripAdvisor. BE CAREFUL TRIPADVISOR HAVE LOTS OF ADS FOR VACATION HOMES THAT ARE JUST FAKE. Don't rent through TripAdvisor because if you get there and the owner say his house is not for rent you will lose your money 100% and there is no way you can get this refunded to you. I don't recommend TripAdvisor rentals. Be aware. Don't waste your money.

DO NOT use (SWT) DRTRANSFERS-NEXUS when you need transportation services. My family and I were on vacations at Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) and they never came to pick up us at the hotel to take us back to the airport, even though I paid them $72.00 dollars through PayPal for a round trip. (SWT) DRTRANSFERS-NEXUS is a very bad company. So, if you need transportation services do not use them if you want to avoid headaches and frustration.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

TripAdvisor is okay in principle, however should you have the audacity to criticize their "world's best hotel" then your review will not be published. This demonstrates a degree of bias which would add to my suspicions that there is a financial incentive involved. Especially when it turns out that the hotel is vastly overrated. I have closed my account and vowed to never look up any establishment on TA again.

I'm a homeowner and a vacation rental property manager. I have listed properties with TripAdvisor for many years, and their customer service has become terrible. You cannot talk to someone within the US. All phone calls transit through Philippines, and they block access to top management if you ask for a manager.

They have doubled the subscription on Flipkey (from $299 to $599) without prior notification. They lied when they said they had sent emails to homeowners: I keep records of all of my correspondence with TA, and such an increase would not have escaped my attention.

When I asked what would justify such an increase, they said they had made major improvements on their website (I still don't see which ones). Period. HomeAway/VRBO actually dropped their subscriptions to $350 no matter the listing. It's based on the homeowner's efficiency to run his/her listing. Fair. Their customer support, always located in the US, is very good and extremely responsive. There's no doubt where I want to place my money when it comes to advertise my vacation rental properties.

I made a reservation at the lowest price at TripAdvisor through Priceline. Turns out that when you click through TripAdvisor, they do not honor the best price guarantee even though they don't say this anywhere. When I talked to "customer service" at TripAdvisor they said "Too bad, we can't do anything about that. Not our job." If you want the best price check the hotel websites directly and then compare them to bogus low price companies like TripAdvisor.

I am simply a consumer, and in the past, I have relied on TripAdvisor for advice while traveling. Since I have used this advice, I also feel obligated to give back to the community by leaving reviews of businesses that provide exemplary or horrible service. Well, I had a very bad experience with a foreign tour company that has a 5 star rating on TripAdvisor. I wanted to share my experience with travelers, so I wrote my own review. First, this was very hard to publish. It kept getting rejected. Then, after many revisions, it finally posted. It was posted for about 8 months, and it was my most popular reviews with many helpful votes. Then, I went back on the site, and it was gone. Just gone! I didn't delete it.

So, I contacted TripAdvisor, and asked them why it was deleted. I was told that "We do not post reviews that include things you have overheard from other guests or your account of another party's experience." I said that my review didn't include any of that, and could they point me to the deviant content. I received this reply, "I cannot give you the exact phrase. I cannot give it to your because the information is proprietary." (Yes, that is what was written with typos and all.) So, I edited it again, and tried to post. It was rejected again claiming that some guideline was violated. This is very disappointing for a variety of reasons. First, the business tried to offer me money to take down my review. I refused, but it got taken down anyhow by TA. Second, I can no longer trust TA's reviews. Consumers beware! The reviews on TA are definitely biased. It is very hard to publish poor reviews of companies.

In August 2016 I made a reservation through FlipKey (a division of TripAdvisor) for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo at the Boca Raton Condominiums located just off of South Las Vegas Blvd in Las Vegas, NV. My reservation was for four senior citizens and I specifically needed this location because it was just a block away from The South Point Casino where I was participating in the USBC National Bowling Tournament on March 8th and 9th of 2017. I made the reservation early for three reasons: (1) I knew that NASCAR races were in town that same week (along with other activities) and demand for housing would be high and more costly, (2) I wanted a location convenient to South Point, and (3) I had friends and relatives to visit so I had to plan our time right.

We were flying in from Orlando FL and our friends traveling with us were flying in from Atlanta GA. Once the housing accommodations were set we purchased our airline tickets and prepaid for a rental car. We had our plans all set to go for our vacation from March 5th through March 10th, 2017. The condo we reserved was right in our price range along with being in the right location.

Roughly two and a half weeks before we were going to travel I received a phone call from TripAdvisor leaving a message on my phone stating that my condo reservation had been canceled and my prepaid funds would be returned to me. When I called back I reached a different person who told me "THE OWNER" had canceled my reservation, in spite of my contract, and TripAdvisor would help me find another place to stay. When I asked WHY it was canceled I was told the owner had the right to do it. No other reason. So I called the Boca Raton Condominiums and spoke to the property manager who told me that my reservation was not canceled and was still in his computer. He then told me they were having some trouble with TripAdvisor and couldn't get into their reservation system. He told me he would look into it and call me back.

I called TA back and reached a different person. I asked "why I was lied to and why did YOU cancel my reservation"? I was told someone would call me back. After several phone calls and speaking to different people it finally was admitted that TripAdvisor made the unilateral decision to cease business with this property owner and decided to cancel all pending reservations. There was no consideration as to how this would impact people like me who had made their plans way in advance. They just did it unilaterally! I received a multitude of apologies and the offer to help me find another suitable location.

I explained that we had to have a 2 bed / 2 bath in the vicinity of South Point and that as retired people on a fixed income the $480 we paid for this unit was the top end of our budget. I also explained that at this late date a suitable replacement would be just about impossible unless TripAdvisor intended to pay the difference in rental costs for us. I received no response to that suggestion... only another apology. Then TA started emailing other properties to me and followed up with phone calls as to suitability. It was ridiculous! The first two properties were priced at $6000 and $4000 for the five days. Other listings were equally bad. Many were at a distance and others were not the accommodations we needed.

I did received back our prepaid money from TA promptly, but now I faced a totally ruined vacation! I finally found a townhouse 30 minutes from South Point in the older part of Las Vegas where homeless people walked the streets all night and ambulance and police sirens screamed throughout the night. It was horrible, but we told the owners it was fine so as not to hurt their feelings. All of our plans had to be changed and we got very little sleep. I bowled terrible in the tournament because of all of the anxiety and pressures, and we have TripAdvisor to thank for ruining our vacation. We would have been better off staying home, but then we would have lost our airfare and car rental prepayments.

The last conversation I had with a TripAdvisor representative was again filled with apologies, but no real offers to "MAKE THINGS RIGHT". I suggested to them that a reputable company who was truly concerned about their customers would have first let them participate in the decision if they wanted the reservation canceled, and then if it was they should pay the difference in cost for making that decision totally on their own with no consideration whatsoever as to how the customer would be affected. Apparently TripAdvisor doesn't care one bit about their customers! The world needs to know how this company operates!

As a hotel owner, I don't pay them the business listing. Booking.com has very accurate reviews of the business. Anyone can post a negative review without staying at the hotel. Bad customer service. My hotel was closed and TripAdvisor posted reviews while my business was closed! How they dare to do something like that!

I am a business owner with a business listing. We are a small family run homestay, and we had one review that just made no sense at all. What I believe happened was that the reviewer put the review on the wrong page. I contacted TA (we pay them 1200US/year for a business listing) and asked them if they could please ask the review to produce a confirmation of booking which we give to everyone which would have confirmed their stay. Their complaints were so "unique" and I could not find a match for this alleged 2 hour check-in then checkout due to our place being "unbearable". It took TA one month to do nothing. After numerous calls to them one customer service agent said, and I quote "we do not do fact checks." I have had so many issues with them and their preferred answer to most of my inquiries has been: "due to our client's privacy we cannot disclose any information."

First off, I AM your client. Secondly, I am not asking for any contact info. One of my inquiries were about authenticating a review. We are also on Airbnb and whenever there is an issue there, Airbnb are not only fair, but swift in their reply and even though sometimes the outcome is not in my favor they at least have the decency to explain WHY. TA's response is nothing more than a "we don't care, goodbye" - response said in other words. More and more people are seeing TA for what it has become, a money-making machine that is neither credible nor helping consumers OR business owners. I have cancelled my business listing and will never work with them again.

I booked a vacation rental in Nov 2016. Paid the deposit then paid in full under their trip protection plan. I received emails of confirmation from TripAdvisor as well as property owner. I was scheduled to travel 3/9-3/13 2017. On 3/5 I sent the owner an email asking about check in arrangements. No reply. I emailed him again no reply. After 3 emails I received an email back saying he doesn't do short term rentals. I called him directly and he told me he told Tripadvisor this 6 months ago and he never knew the house had been rented. Property owners do not get paid until AFTER you check in.

Long story short... After calling TripAdvisor over 15 times speaking to 15 different people who have broken English I have been denied the rental and I am out of a place to stay 36 hours before arrival. They have no other properties to offer me. TripAdvisor customer service is horrible, I will never ever use this site for ANYTHING ever again. Our family trip has been ruined and they are fighting me about my refund. Stay far away from them as possible.

My son and family were lied to by a 3rd party to book at Coco Key. We were severely abused and have pictures of the bed bug bites. I still have a bed bug in a container I caught. Coco Key had my review taken down and every review I try to post Trip Advisor takes down or doesn't post. That's when I found TripAdvisor is affiliated with Coco Key. They don't care my son could have died. I believe TripAdvisor should be shut down because they are liars and do not allow people to give fair reviews. My bank refunded the money from Coco Key.

I work as a chef at Queenz Restaurant, Sitges, Spain. We offer an excellent dinner service, excellent entertainment and the price is very good. We had after 3 years, much work and effort and a lot of customer care been number 1 for the last 2 years. In 3 years we had just 3 negative reviews. We had 436 5* reviews and we feel they were well deserved. We never took it for granted.

On 27th February 2017, we received notification that we were being removed from the restaurant section. The reasons given made absolutely no sense. Our Web page is available for anyone who wants to look at it. We fulfill all the criteria that TripAdvisor has outlined and more. In fact, looking at the other 300 restaurants listed, if we applied the criteria, many would be removed. No plausible explanation has been given. Sad to see that there are some dark issues looming behind this company. The fact that they themselves cannot justify this behaviour leads me to think that someone is either trying to promote a new section or some personal interest. We haven't lost hope that they will fix the problem but frankly we are very disappointed.

I have 3 cabins in the area of Pigeon Forge TN. In addition to accounts with Home Away/VRBO, I have had accounts with Flip Key & Vacation Home Rentals (VHR) for several years & have been pleased with both Flip Key & VHR. Last year, TripAdvisor bought those Flip Key & VHR. Things went well in the beginning because TripAdvisor allowed the companies to continue their past practices. However, this year TripAdvisor put in their own rules. As a result, my February & March bookings dropped from over $6,000 to $0. Granted, these are the slowest months of the year, but in the 12 years I have been these cabins, I have never had $0 bookings for these months.

TripAdvisor instigated a "Free Listing Plan". They still have the old "Subscription Plan", the "Free Listing Plan" has priority. I listed with both & with the "Free Listing Plan", my properties we listed in the 1st 50-100 listings. Under the "Subscription Plan," my properties were listed around # 300 of 1,000 properties. In other words, no one is going to see my properties that far down the list. Under the "Free Listing Plan", all bookings MUST be done through TripAdvisor & they charge a heft fee for their services. I only received 1 potential booking. For that booking, I was to receive about $700. TripAdvisor would receive about $130.

As a property owner, the biggest complaint that I have is that I can no longer communicate with renters. All contact MUST go through TripAdvisor. If either the potential renter or I put in a phone number, email address, etc., the entire message is blocked which is a problem because I can't explain things to renters. For example, I don't charge a cleaning fee for stays of 3 nights or more, but since the TripAdvisor information form I have to complete only asks whether or not I charge a cleaning fee at any time, I include that in the charges since I do charge for less than 3 nights. TripAdvisor then charges the fee for any stay & I can't explain that to a potential renter. In addition, listing priority is based on the # of bookings we accept. In my case, I'm not getting any inquiries. I can't get bookings without inquiries, so I have a low priority listing which means I don't get inquiries.

Furthermore, trying to reach someone in customer service is not easy because their website has no place to contact them. I tried about an hour the other night before I finally found a phone number to contact Flip Key. I then got a customer service representative who I could barely understand because I'm not from India. I used to think that Home Away/VRBO was bad & referred everyone I could to Flip Key or VHR. However, with the changes that Trip Advisor has made them look good. My subscription expires in April & my question to TripAdvisor is "Why should I keep your services?" Currently, TripAdvisor is an expense with no return, so there's no point in continuing their services.

Never got my $50 Amazon gift card for booking and reviewing hotel I stayed in. Followed the instructions, booked from the app and reviewed my stay. There is no way to contact them. I searched the site but could not find a way to contact them. They actually posted my review but no Amazon gift card.

I booked a hotel in Kenya. I had a terrible experience. I tried to inform by posting a review. They have a policy that protects hotel owners and takes away your rights as a consumer. After posting the hotel review the hotel's GM replied and completely falsified information furthermore making a claim that my money which I was owed for an overcharge would be refunded. This was false. Trip Advisor website does not allow you to report a review or add another review. I attempted on more than 5 occasions to report the review without fail. Trip Advisor protects hotel owners and does not allow us as consumers to have any power. Do not trust them as a company furthermore they censor their reviews which makes it biased.

For those that don't realize this, you can search for reviews of restaurants and hotels on TA. If you compare the reviews vs. its other major competitor, Yelp, you will see TA has a lot more reviews. There are a few reasons for that. TA has been around longer than Yelp and TA tends to shape reviews much more so, recently than Yelp. If you write a negative review on TA and even though you are a seasoned reviewer, there is a good chance your review will not be posted or if it does, it will get flagged for removal by either the owner or someone affiliated with the business. While the exact same review on Yelp remains. If you also pay attention, you will see that management of the business gets the last say when someone posts a negative review. There is no opportunity for the reviewer to have a final rebuttal.

Again, TA is geared toward their advertisers and business owners. This is a form of bullying and as a result, many people will tend to only post positive reviews instead of negative ones because they fear being confronted by the business. A few years ago, there was a survey done by a travel company that claimed that 98% of over 3000 TA users felt satisfied that the reviews on TA reflected their own personal experience. That's an incredible amount. If one took the time and obtained the raw data, you would see a different result. Bottom line is that TA seems to me at least, have very bias reviews and is plagued by either exaggerated or bogus positive reviews, many of which I feel are from paid reviewers. Of course, there are paid reviewers who go around trashing a business as well. It's a big money making business for these "ghost writers."

I was ripped off by this company. They did nothing to help me, then I received this email from a friend. There has been numerous complaints of a rental agency, Progreso Vacation Rentals. This agency has been accused of taking money for rentals from individuals for a specific property and then switched them to a lesser property when they arrive. They also have been accused of taking money and then not delivery any service. Instruction was given to the Director of Tourism to address the problems of these web sites that provide homes for rent and cause injury to the foreign community, in coordination with the Secretariat of Tourist Promotion and other state authorities.

If you have been a victim of such activity, you should contact Lic. Wendy ** from the Atención a victimas department of the Fiscalía, she will assist you, and if you need a translator they can arrange one for you. We realize that many of these rentals are short term and individuals are only here for a short time. There will continue to be an effort to reach out to these short term renters.

I booked a Best Western with TripAdvisor because I like their website and consult it often for my travels. My plans changed within hours of booking. I first tried cancelling my booking online through links provided on the TripAdvisor confirmation email. No luck. The links don't lead you anywhere. Then I called the hotel for cancellation. They told me that they could not do anything on this third party booking and advised me to call Best Western 800 number. The help lady at this number told me that even they could not do anything because the reservation was made through TripAdvisor. Mind you that all these calls were made within hours of the original booking. Then called TripAdvisor 800 number listed on confirmation email. TripAdvisor told me that even they could not do anything and I needed to call the hotel directly and hung up. The bottom line is that never make hotel reservation through TripAdvisor.

The website used to be good many years ago. Lately it has become money concentrated company. Boosting review counts, fake reviews, bias for paid hotels/restaurants. It has turned into a company that focuses on monetizing, quantity rather than quality. Recently I made a forum post asking a support decision to not post my negative review of a restaurant. They straight up deleted my post without saying a word.

Honest reviews are not published, and there are too many fake ones. I have reviewed quite a few places on TripAdvisor, so not a new user. I tried to leave an unfavorable review on a hotel in Stillwater, and the title of my review was a quote from another user who said she couldn't believe the discrepancy between the great reviews and the actual hotel. I concurred completely, but TripAdvisor did not publish it, maybe it makes them look bad? If you go through the reviews on that hotel, there are a high number of brand new, 1 reviewer reviews there, that left a 5 star rating, so you know employees are making up accounts to pad the star rating of that hotel. I actually tried to "report" those reviews, must have been 25 or 30 of them over the last 2 years, but the link to do that wasn't working (tried different browser, etc.). So none of those reviews or that hotel's rating got flagged as suspicious. TripAdvisor reviews are suspect, and useless.

I help run a small zipline business called Treetop Tour in Ko Samui Thailand. Several times people have posted reviews after going on one of the 4 other zipline businesses and getting the names mixed up. TripAdvisor has been notified numerous times and DOESN'T CARE. They require your credit card info in order to let you post rebuttal and corrections, "for verification". I see their write-ups on other websites and I can tell you, they are not getting my credit card info. When I worked for one of the other zipline businesses on that island, I was instructed to post glowing reviews about it posing as a customer. Don't believe anything you read, I currently have 2 reviews (less than flattering) on my website from customers who obviously went to another business, one of them tells me she corrected it thru TripAdvisor, but it is still posted! No credibility whatsoever.

I have learnt my lesson from this first time booking through TripAdvisor that your company has devised this system to defraud and cheat me out of my money.

Firstly, you made sure I received the cancellation notice in my inbox but I did not receive a single email regarding balance due and its due dates. In your company's own writing "Kindly check your spam or trash folders for the reminder emails sent." If you need a copy let me know. It is obvious that if you sent notices to my spam folder that you wanted me to miss the deadline and then use this excuse to penalize me. There are many companies out there who value their customers and offer "no deposit AND free cancellation"!! It is obvious that your company do not value its customers and choose to rip them off before any services is rendered.

The fact that I have gone to the trouble of research, book and paid over a thousand dollars in deposit is an obvious and clear statement that I intended to go ahead with the booking and would pay if I had received proper notification from you. Sending emails to my spam box is not proper notification and a company such as yours must have in place a second method of follow up or bringing attention to an urgent matter - again reiterating the message that you do not care whether the customer pay or not because either way, your company stand to win and the customer stand to lose. I am curious as to how many others you have managed to rip off using this tactic?

The fact of trying to sort out this matter with your company, I have had to expensed money in long distance phone calls and to endures rude and vexing phone calls to your call center staff whose attitude was your way or the highway. In the end achieving nothing and leaving me and my family with no accommodation in a foreign country and with little time to arrange a new one. For your trouble for cheating me out of $168.69 for "processing" nothing except headaches and troubles to my family, I will help warn all my contacts and the public of your deceptive and fraudulent conduct. Thanks again for stealing my money and wasting my time.

!!! OWNERS & MANAGERS BEWARE !!! Flipkey has stolen funds from 3 transaction bookings that I trusted were being handled trustworthy & honestly from a large company like this. Flipkey is the middle company that is accepting funds from travelers to reserve properties. However they are fraudulently withholding, & charging extra fees & sneaking past booking fees into present new ones!!

On one occasion they never even deposited my money even after my guest successfully & joyfully took my vacation that I fulfilled up to two months after I noticed & caught them. On a second occasion a traveler rightfully so had to cancel a given reservation for their personal reasons & Flipkey charged me, the owner (not traveler a cancellation fee) 10 months later after it was a closed dispute, in which Flipkey honored that they would NOT charge me! And did not disclose taking the money before doing so from a completely different guest & Booking ten months later!! How many owners & managers are they sneaking & stealing money from that are unaware!!??? Check every transaction & report!!!

I have fake reviews from a competitor that came on 20 minutes of the 3 hours tour and complained about things we don't offer. I have guests that are showing me screenshots of reviews they wrote after enjoying the tour and TripAdvisor isn't posting them. My sales have been destroyed. It is baffling that there isn't a double sided review process like uber. Accountability makes people straighten up and think twice about falsifying reviews but why on earth are the good reviews not showing up!!! This is crazy!!! And there's no response from TripAdvisor. None. Worst customer service EVER. Worst review site EVER. I am actually consoled that others are having the same problems and will be making strong efforts for public awareness.

I attempted to book a hotel room through TripAdvisor. I selected from a list of available rooms at the hotel I wanted, entered all my (saleable) data including name, address, phone, credit card info on their page, hit enter, and got "sorry, this room is NOT AVAILABLE". It offered me another room, I selected it and hit enter, again not available. I tried 2 or 3 more of their fake room offerings before realizing I'd been had. This was a busy hotel that was filling up fast and TripAdvisor was showing rooms that were probably long gone. But they can still sell my info to mailing lists and make out nicely. I've noticed the increasing monetization of their website but never imagined they would sink this low. Done with TripAdvisor.

I made 3 hotel reservations listed by 3 different booking agents on TripAdvisor. I became concerned after reading other reviews re: TripAdvisor on Consumer Affairs and emailed TripAdvisor with only one (1) question. Are these 3-booking agents legitimate? I sent emails to Mr. Valerio ** from TripAdvisor Support, who would never provide me a direct answer. Mr. ** danced around the issue through all 3 emails. His answer, "we recommend you to contact the company through which you booked your vacation." Great! This is like saying, "we want you to order the steak at ** fancy restaurant (this steak we secretly know to be tainted), but after you try the steak and become seriously ill, do not call us. Please call the ** fancy restaurant for help."

The outcome for my refund from the 3-booking agents is still in limbo, but I gave deposits to these booking agents of $392.06, $372, and $285. Finally, at the end of their mail, TripAdvisor states, "Please call us at +44 203 318 5019 if you need further information." Wonderful! They expect me to pay for a long distance cell phone call to somewhere in Europe but will only provide 0.00 support.

We like to look at TripAdvisor for advice and ideas; so will continue using the site for that reason. The problem is there is no way to directly contact them for questions or help and when I submitted an answer to a question my profile picture was a picture they should not have had access to; they are supposed to use the Facebook avatar and this picture has never been a Facebook avatar. So between not being able to directly ask them without closing my account of how they got that picture and the fact that they accessed a picture they should not have been able to, I will not ever join or answer questions for them again!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.
  • Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.
  • Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.
  • Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.
  • In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.
  • Best for Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites