TripAdvisor
2.45/5

Looking for a travel site?

TripAdvisor

656 TripAdvisor Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I booked a trip to Sun River through Vacasa. Vacasa sent me a confirmation# and total cost and total paid email. Later I received from TripAdvisor an email with a different confirmation # and a different total. TripAdvisor tacked on an additional $131.81 to my total that I had signed up for. I unfortunately did not see that email until I just received my Visa bill and saw the price was wrong. I have tried contacting TripAdvisor but there is no one that I can either talk or email to. I think they should refund my the $131.81. They slipped in their fee and I think it is really bad business.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I Googled 'Phoenix Hotels with Smoking Rooms' and got a TripAdvisor link for such saying '10 Best Smoking Hotels 2018 Phoenix'. NOT ONE OF THESE HOTELS has smoking rooms! I tried contacting TripAdvisor about this error, (in their advertising), to no avail. It's impossible to get ahold of these guys! I will never rely on TripAdvisor again! especially after reading all the problems people have written about here on ConsumerAffairs. There are just too many 'TRUST' issues to be overcome by TripAdvisor for me to have any confidence in them at all. Goodbye and Good Riddance TripAdvisor!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Do not use Tripadvisor if there is any chance that you will need to change or cancel your booking. Nobody answers the phone EVER. There is no one who will help you. You will not be able to get a refund or make a switch to your booking regardless of illness, injury etc. Your $ is lost! You are dealing with a website and their policy is not user friendly. I will never use Tripadvisor again. We are in Reykjavik and just lost our $400 in fees pays for an excursion we cannot take for health reasons. TripAdvisor did not answer our repeated phone calls. They have our money and our disclaimer so we are the losers. Use a travel agent you can call.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I will always use TripAdvisor for my bookings. Fast and easy. I have had no problems traveling to Asia and back several times. I love the reviews on TripAdvisor site, so much great information. If you are thinking of using another search engine, look at their reviews. I promise TripAdvisor is a lot better and they will continue to get better. I have read about their organization and it is solid.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I visited a business, Wild Child Gallery, in Matlacha, Florida on April of 2018. Both my friend and I have written multiple negative reviews, from our separate accounts, and TripAdvisor never publishes them. We write our reviews at least once a month, changing the wordings but still giving the terrible review Wild Child Gallery deserves.

Our treatment by the staff at Wild Child Gallery was so terrible we cannot we over it and want to tell others, especially in a town packed with great and friendly people. In TripAdvisor the business has 33 excellent reviews!!! In other sites like Yelp, for example, the same Wild Child Gallery, in Matlacha, Florida has multiple terrible reviews with many people that experienced the same rude treatment we received. TripAdvisor is not a reliable source. The same business with poor to terrible reviews everywhere else is excellent there? Why? Does TripAdvisor accept payments from bad businesses like Wild Child Gallery to delete negative reviews? It is definitely biased.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I have been forced to cancel a booking. I am very unhappy with the service from TripAdvisor. Very heavy handed and money grabbing. Responses to many emails from many different customer service representatives range from non-committal to the latest adversarial one. I booked a villa in Sanur based on good TripAdvisor reviews only to see reviews change from very good to very bad. I attempted to obtain a refund from TripAdvisor. Over many weeks they have cited the cancellation policy over and over again. They took my money based on their posted reviews and when the reviews became unacceptable to me they refuse to refund my money. Never again will I use this booking site.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I never called TripAdvisor about any trips ever, yet they are hounding me by phone! I get a call once a day, automated, from such and such with TripAdvisor. I hang up, block the call and voila! They call me from another number.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

TripAdvisor allows non-vetted booking companies take your money for hotel and resort stays without making sure that money gets paid to the resort. We prepaid for our stay at a resort in the Dominican Republic through TA booking consolidator who sent us a bogus prepaid voucher. The hotel did not accept it, said they never received payment and forced us to repay the entire hotel stay again or they wouldn’t allow us to leave the property!! We spent over two hours at the front desk being treated like criminals at the resort (Excellence Punta Cana), missed our flight and are now stuck in the Dominican Republic with no way to get home. We had to pay the already paid hotel bill again just to be released from the property. DO NOT book anything thru TripAdvisor. They are unable to help you or do anything when one of their non vetted booking partners steals your money.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I made a hotel booking for three nights in Budapest in June 2018 through TripAdvisor. The hotel was selected based on its proximity to the train station. The booking went through and came back with a confirmation number. Obviously the full amount was charged. Everything looked fine at this point. After a long train ride and late in the evening, I arrived at the hotel to check in and was told that I needed to go another hotel nearby at my expenses. After a few minutes of discussion they decided to call a taxi for me but the nearby hotel was far away (30 minutes by taxi) and the hotel quality was awful though they claimed of the same level. Now I am back home and reported this to TripAdvisor and they replied saying this is a common practice: a confirmed booking doesn't mean actually confirmed (my interpretation). To my fellow travelers, just be careful when making bookings online.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I recently booked 40 acre Rustic Luxury Private Hideaway - Newly renovated. Listed Nov 2017 at Yosemite National Park from TripAdvisor. They offer a Payment Protection Plan if you book and pay through their website. The protection is stated to kick in if you cannot access the property. We could not go to this rental because of the Ferguson Fire. The retreat was in an evacuation advisory zone, roads were closed, and air quality alerts were issued. We asked for a refund, as we were already across the country, and would need to book and pay for hotel rooms to accommodate my family for the three days we couldn’t access the retreat. TripAdvisor was powerless to help us negotiate even a partial refund. According to them, it was all up to the owner. I fail to see what the Payment Protection Plan means if it couldn’t help us in this situation.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I booked what I thought was a hotel in FL through TripAdvisor. I received a text giving me a confirmation number and a TripAdvisor web address to check on the booking. When I put the info into TripAdvisor it told me booking not found. I researched for a couple of weeks and finally figure out that it was handled by a 3rd or 4th party, and truly had nothing to do with Trip Advisor! I was charged the full amount (for the entire vacation that is 7 months away) on my credit card, the name on the statement was nothing recognizable.

I panicked, made a bunch of phone calls and was finally able to find the actual company that booked the vacation. I called 3 companies (that I was directed to) before I found the one that actually was involved. They told me they'd refund me everything but $170. After much arguing, I got them to refund the entire amount. I will never again use TripAdvisor website for anything. I don't think it's a good way to do business. I don't want my credit card info floating around in cyberspace. I feel it seemed very shady.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Unfortunately I had a very bad experience with this company. I booked a trip to Florence Italy. My spouse broke his ankle, and was put into a cast after surgery. His surgeon said stay off foot for 8-10 weeks. We had to cancel our trip. I texted the proprietor and canceled. What I didn’t know at the time, that wasn’t enough to cancel the trip. They automatically deducted the full payment. I then canceled again on TripAdvisor. Now I’ll get back only one quarter of my total payment. Pay attention to the small print! Will not be using TripAdvisor in the future.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I checked in on Friday, was given a room with one pillow and no linens. I went to the office for these items, was told they didn't have any. I returned to my room and the door wouldn't lock. The woman at the desk told me, "Sometimes you have to jiggle the handle and lift it up." I refused. She gave us another room, no air conditioning. No linens. No pillows. I had 3 rooms reserved for 2 nights. We had a total of 15 people with reservations. The rooms were filthy, candy wrappers were behind a curtain, the bed skirt had some unidentifiable crud on it. There were mouse traps in one of the rooms. The soap in the bathroom was used, there was hair all over the bathroom, in the tub and on the floor. We had no shower curtain. I offered to hang it myself, but they didn't have one.

We had no linens/blankets. All 3 rooms had a pull out bed, no linens provided. Our room had 1 pillow. We had 7 pillows for 15 people. I asked for more pillows. Was told they didn't have any. The woman offered to let me go in another room and take pillows from there. My nephew rolled up a hoodie and slept on that. The air conditioning only worked in 1 room. 2 rooms did not have coffee makers. The one room with a coffee maker had a bug in the pot, no coffee filters. We had no towels. We asked for more and we were told they didn't have any. Breakfast buffet empty at 9:00. No plates and no coffee. The woman working breakfast was just sitting at a table.

Front desk staff rude, hung up on us when we called them. Would not escalate our issues to manager. Pool was closed because 'it might rain.' Pool was supposed to be heated, it was not. Kitchen area empty. Few if any dishes, no dish soap. Wi-fi awful. Couldn't keep a signal. The grounds are overgrown with far a few everywhere. We went to the office Saturday to resolve some issues, we were told everything would be fixed while we were out. We would have left, But they said they would fix everything. When we came back, nothing was changed. It was too late to go anywhere else. I filed a complaint with the BBB, manager said everything was exaggerated.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I booked ghost tour tickets for 4 in Asheville, NC and immediately thereafter realized I had a conflict and requested a cancellation. Also when I received a confirmation text I responded asking for cancellation. This was all greater than 24 hour notice as they require. My debit card was still charged and they are refusing a refund. Will not use this company again.

Original review: July 25, 2018

TripAdvisor is an awesome site to look at places (hotels, restaurants, etc) that you may be vacationing to or even in your own town. When being a TripAdvisor reviewer you receive discounts on many things as well.

Original review: July 25, 2018

TripAdvisor is easy to use, good comparisons & explains things well - easy to access & book - have had really good experiences with them.

Original review: July 25, 2018

They did not mention that when we booked our hotel in Mexico we could not bring our friends that have a condo there up to our room. Big disappointment!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I actually use TripAdvisor FlipKey to rent out some of our timeshares. It has been ok. I don't like being able to communicate to our renters until they pay in full, though. We can only email them on TripAdvisor's site.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Overcharged me. Had a duplicate booking which hotel said no problem. Cancel one. Site would not return my extra payment. Bogus. Do not use this site.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have used this site over several years to find things to see in far off and places close to home. I have been pleased. They have customers that rate and give reviews and pictures of their own experiences. I have utilized these and have had great trips and seen places I might have missed if it hadn't been listed!

Original review: July 23, 2018

They had great prices on the hotel. Gave us details on the room and pictures of the hotel. If the hotel was not available on the dates that we needed they suggested other hotels that did have that date open.

Original review: July 23, 2018

TripAdvisor allows for both positive and negative comments as long as the negatives are not derogatory in nature. This allows the hotel management or site to make a comment as well. That way you see two sides to an experience from a traveler.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Accurate & honest reviews help considerably in me making decisions about a particular location. The site is easy to use and most information is highly accurate.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Love being able to review sites before booking and the honesty of the site. Easy to use and compare prices of hotels everywhere. Their site is easy to maneuver.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Went to motel. Was dirty and refused to stay there. Towels and sheets were all dirty and stained and wouldn’t refund my payment. Ended up at a Holiday Inn which was twice the price but was a very clean and comfortable room.

Original review: July 21, 2018

The information provided was very useful in selecting either places to stay, where to dine, things to see or do, and getting different input and comments from a wide variety of reviewers on the same subject. The comments, with few exceptions, are usually honest and candid which is also very helpful in making a decision.

Original review: July 20, 2018

The site is well-curated, and the reviews are verified. Very helpful. Pretty much covers the world and caters to varied interests. Recently acquired Viator and so offers excellent guided tours in many, many places.

Original review: July 20, 2018

It was very easy to use and I was able to find all information I needed. This is an excellent site and I would highly recommend this site.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Great site. I really appreciated the replies from other travelers, those were very helpful when making decisions, and we found that they were accurate and similar to the experiences we ended up having ourselves.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have never been the one who relied heavily on reviews and review sites like TripAdvisor. Still, I created an account and used it for a two whole reviews. One of them was for my workplace at the time and the other one was for a friend's business. I meant what I published and wanted to support these places. Yet, technically these were biased reviews, yet they were published.

A few days ago I went to a Mexican diner that was around the corner from my flat. I haven’t been there for a while as even though the food was actually decent I always questioned their hygiene and the service was slow. Never bothered to review or leave any negative comments. Yet I fancied a burrito and it was the closest place so I compromised. To my surprise it was under new management. The place was squeaky clean, extremely friendly and pleasant service was provided. Hell, I even got some complimentary tequilas. Not as a bribe just as a friendly gesture.

As I wanted to show support for the team I decided to share my thoughts and write my first genuine review. So I did, only to receive an email from the TripAdvisor team, notifying me that the review won’t be published as it does not meet their guidelines and standards. They wrote the standard reasons i.e. I can’t have any relation/ownership etc to the place nor there should be any blackmailing attempts.

I am just mesmerized by the fact of how many people rely on this site for pre-judging places and making their decisions on whether to book/eat/stay etc at places. There are many people who make their money from creating false accusations and leaving made up reviews. We frequently received comments and grades at my old workplace (which I reviewed) that had nothing to do with the food, service quality or anything we should have been graded upon. PLEASE STOP THESE FREAKING NONSENSE OF WEBSITES AND GO AND EXPERIENCE PLACES THEN MAKE UP YOUR MIND ABOUT IT!!! Pick places that suits your budget, don’t expect more than you bargained for, have some common sense and enjoy the country you’re visiting. Stay safe and wear a condom.

TripAdvisor.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs