TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor

3.9/5 (427 ratings)

About TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

I wish to inform all businesses that are thinking of signing up with Tripadvisor, that you read and understand their policies. They are very strict about not removing any reviews from their website even if they are detrimental to your business. They won't even let me close my account to remove my listing. I can only say that my business is closed. All the reviews will remain online forever. As long as the reviewer seems to be within their so-called guidelines, they will let it be posted. Please look elsewhere for review companies that allow some sort review management. I have over 36 reviews on Tripadvisor. Two of them are negative and over 5 years old. If you do I search for my business on Google, the most negative review always, I mean always shows up first in a search. No rotation of reviews whatsoever. Here is the canned response I received from the so-called support team:

"We have completed our investigation into your concern and have also evaluated all other aspects of the review in question. The review complies with our submission guidelines. Tripadvisor does not remove reviews after a certain date. However, older reviews are weighted less when factored into our Popularity Index, which determines a property's ranking relative to other properties in the area. Therefore, as time goes on, past reviews will count less and less toward your rating and popularity. Since the review in question complies with our submission guidelines, it will remain published on Tripadvisor."

I hope this helps someone with their decision if they are thinking of signing up with Tripadvisor. I would definitely reconsider. This has been a horrible experience for me and a blow to my business.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I made a booking for a Hilton hotel 6 months before my reservation. 5 days before my reservation they sent me an email that said I can cancel or go to a different hotel that was outside of the city. I called 3x getting different stories, but the email was true. I’m TripAdvisor plus. I pay $99/yr for good deals. This is not acceptable. I can’t trust them now so I will never use them again. They were no help when I called. Take the hotel or cancel basically is what they said. I cancelled. What if I had been going on my dream vacation. Think about this before you book with them. Will you be ok if you get this email 5 days before your trip. I have always liked Tripadvisor, but now I know what happens when things go wrong.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

We are abandoning TripAdvisor as our guide. Often we find ourselves in restaurants with bland food that have high ratings just because of the price and because just like with everything else the general public has a sad taste.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

They want to only hear positive. But that helps no one traveling to warn them about potential problems and rip-offs and dangers. People need the raw unfiltered truth, not some namby-pamby review that does nothing to aid them in their choices.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

As a service business our reviews are very important to us. We strive to offer the highest level of customer service and respond to any unsatisfied customers immediately. Posts that are "blatantly" mistaken identity or obviously non verified customers do not get removed when you report them to TripAdvisor. We took valuable time to investigate the authenticity to a few negative posts and TripAdvisor still refused to take them down. Their platform is not fair like Google and Yelp reporting. They actually "read" your report and "see" the issues. Honest posts regardless of the review are not disputed and we attempt "every remedy" available to ensure the customers are satisfied with our actions when dissatisfied. Their platform needs better monitoring and oversight with more in depth rational considerations when businesses dispute a review.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

Update. Honestly, my experience with TripAdvisor started out poorly. My wife was frustrated. As a result, I became upset when I realized why she was frazzled. Anger kicked in, and I posted an unflattering review of the company. Next, I wrote an admittedly nasty note to the CEO, Matt Goldberg who has been there less than six months. My guess on his reading what I sent? Zero chance! Shocked - about five hours after my tirade, and on a Monday night around 8 pm, my wife got a call - from Matt Goldberg. Not an assistant. Not an imposter. The CEO!

His approach could not have been more reflective of client centered strategic leadership.
    1) Apology... agreed situation was not acceptable
    2) Empathy... acknowledged her frustration was legitimate.
    3) Asked Questions... assuring he understood - cared - and demonstrated respect.
    4) Restated His Understanding... which enhanced trust; really listening.
    5) Personal Promise... will be resolved within a day

6) Request... if not resolved - call him personally!

The next night, I shared with the MBA's I teach (my retirement job) about our experience with Matt Goldberg. Rarely do I have an example of world class leadership. What I shared - lesson to consider:

1) Personally Engaged... checking "customer touchpoints" - not just relying on what the executive team is sharing.

2) Demonstrate Care And Respect... invest the time and effort in a manner that is desired for the entire company culture.

3) Action Oriented... rolled up sleeves - and get things done. Set an example for the team. "This is what service is!"

Lesson Reinforced. All companies - and people - will make mistakes. It is how mistakes are handled that demonstrate their character and values. Surprisingly, some of the most loyal customers are actually the result of bad experiences - handled in a world class way. My guess? The future of TripAdvisor has never been brighter. Hoping his approach is contagious, and strengthens the culture of TripAdvisor even more. Afterall, culture is most often the key ingredient in the recipe that results in world class teams.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

TripAdvisor asked for our review. It was a positive review, however there were things we didn't like. They sent an Email telling us they will not post our review because of this. Their reviews are biased.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Our needs always covered, our questions always answered, attentive and cordial people. Great staff who always look for the best things to make us feel great and in a real vacation and fun time. Kudos for Rich (the concierge) Jerry (chef) and Nuber from the reception and trips planner office.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I booked a hotel room early morning. An hour later my kids woke up and one of them was sick. We decided to cancel our trip to Maryville Indiana Hilton Garden Inn. After calling to cancel they told us my refund was nonrefundable. So within less than two hours. I lost $250.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I purchased a Tripadvisor Plus membership in order to get a discounted hotel rate through their site. Free cancellation was available before a certain date. A few days later, I decided to stay somewhere else and cancel my Plus membership in addition to the hotel stay. The Plus membership ($99) was refunded promptly. However, the hotel stay (about $1000) was never refunded to my credit card. The Tripadvisor cancellation confirmation email states "If you don’t see your refund in 5-7 business days, please contact your bank for more information." I call my credit card company and they said to wait another week. I did. Still no refund. I now have to open a dispute for this charge. Such unnecessary hassle for something that other hotels can do seamlessly with no problems.

TripAdvisor.com author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

TripAdvisor Company Information