2. Travel

TripAdvisor

3.9/5 (667 ratings)

About TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: May 15, 2021

Public reviews of lodging, restaurants & things to do assist in travel plans. I have submitted reviews of places to assist others too. There are categories of reviews based on families, couples, friends. Lodging rates are posted from other sites very helpful. Types of restaurants assist in choosing where to dine & how expensive. Things to do are a great way to visit places, shopping.

Original review: May 2, 2021

My name is Tefera ** from Ethiopia. I have no detail information for all of the Trip sites. So that I am looking for information from Tripadvisor to know more about each sites. I think this site seems good in order to find enough data for trip site decision.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Seems when comparison shopping they beat the competition hands down. Would definitely recommend them to friends and family as they have served us well.

Original review: April 30, 2021

The experience was great. Found the hotel better than expected. We went to Disney but did not stay long. The crowds were insane. We spent most of the time at the hotel because of the kids and THE WATERPARK. I do think more precise information would help for people first time resort.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I found Trip Advisor to be very good for arranging my travel plans. They handled everything well and quickly gave my trip planning to Priceline who also was great in helping me extend my time for trip planning and trip final arrangements. Both companies helped me with trip planning and extensions with no trouble or confusion. All was handled very well and very professionally. Great job Trip Advisor and great job Priceline.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I had user MsCheap1 criticize my post in one of the public forums, call me a troll, and tell me to “stay in Indiana”. I emailed her in private, called her a “B”, and set her straight. My post was deleted due to someone’s hypersensitivity, likely hers. I reposted a more gently worded version. She posted a comment warning people about me. Flagged her comment as harassment and TripAdvisor did nothing. Instead, they deleted mine and somebody else’s subsequent responses addressing her post. Found an email for TripAdvisor and emailed them directly. They ended up shutting my account down.

This was a clear-cut case of trolling, but I got the shaft and the troll got to keep her account. Despite being a level 6 contributor, TripAdvisor shut my account down without saying a word, and they won’t answer my emails. I’ve had other issues where they’ve arbitrarily taken my review down and dance around giving you an answer why. Usually, it’s a dangling “because your review does not meet our guidelines”. When you ask why it doesn’t meet their guidelines, they say because it doesn’t meet their guidelines.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I booked the Antelope Lower Canyon Tour through Tripadvisor on October 1st, 2021. I believe that I have selected October 3rd, 2021 as the date for the tour. Together with my family I drove down to the Ken's Tour site for 5 hours. And when I got there it turned out that the booking was actually for the next day - October 4th, 2021. The Ken's Tour manager Zack ** offered me the full refund, because the reservation was made less than 72 hour ago. However, when he saw that I had booked through the third party, he said to talk to them. Tripadvisor forwarded the case to Viator and they said that they need the written consent by email from their supplier for the full refund. The Ken's Tour manager said that they will be looking for the email and will reply immediately. It turned out that they never received the email, because Tripadvisor's or Viator's supplier was not the Ken's Tour, but some other aggregator by the name Wannar Travel.

So, in summary, Tripadvisor accept payment online for the service they do not provide, Viator receive payment for the service they don't provide, Wannar Travel impose the policies for the service they don't provide and the tour operator that actually provides the service can't follow their own customer service agreements because booking has been done through a third party. The word of advise - you can use Tripadvisor for search, never pay through Tripadvisor but rather go direct to the actual service provider. It will be cheaper and better customer service.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I booked a Seattle Tour through TripAdvisor at least 6 weeks before the tour date of August 27th and the charge from "Viator Trip Advisor" appeared on my charge card immediately. I had to cancel a month before the tour and was told my card would be credited since I could cancel at least 24 hours before the tour. It is now September 23rd and no refund has been made, even after proving I deserved a refund. I'll never use them again.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

TripAdvisor is a nightmare to deal with. The prices are great UNTIL you have a problem. Their "help" staff is difficult to understand, doesn't communicate with each other, and is more concerned with keeping the money you paid than helping their customers. If there is any possibility that you may have a problem (and in today's climate that is pretty much everyone) avoid using Trip Advisor at all costs.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

TripAdvisor fraudulently refuses to process our refund. My wife and I booked a vacation for our five-year-old daughter at Tradewinds Resort in St. Pete, Florida for Labor Day Weekend. However, due to Hurricane Ida, we were forced to evacuate to Mississippi and were unable to make the trip on those dates. I contacted Tradewinds and they were extremely helpful. They stated that they would agree to refund our vacation or rebook our room for the following week (our preferred option) at no additional cost. However, as we made the reservation through TripAdvisor, they needed TripAdvisor to simply send an email requesting the refund or postponement of the trip.

TripAdvisor refused to take even this simple step. I spoke to TripAdvisor on numerous occasions. They were rude and they consistently lied about contacting Tradewinds. Specifically, they said they had spoken with Tradewinds management, who the claimed had not yet agreed to a refund, and they stated that they would send an email requesting that our trip be postponed. I spoke to Tradewinds who confirmed that both of these assertions were false. Later TripAdvisor stated that their internal rules prevented them from contacting the resort (a contradiction of the prior statements from TripAdvisor).

TripAdvisor then requested that I obtain written proof that Tradewinds agreed to a no-fault refund due to the effects of Hurricane Ida. Tradewinds graciously provided that to me and I sent written proof of the refund TripAdvisor. Despite that, TripAdvisor continues to fraudulently fail to process our refund. This is an incredibly minor inconvenience compared to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Ida to so many people in our region. However, I wanted to share in case people are considering booking with TripAdvisor in the future. They show no empathy for people who are impacted by events such as Ida. To make matters worse, they refuse to process refunds despite the fact that they have received a refund from the resort.

TripAdvisor.com author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

TripAdvisor Company Information