2. Travel

TripAdvisor
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.52/5
Based on 1,215 ratings

TripAdvisor Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: July 8, 2020

We received a one star review from someone who was not a guest, and had misstated their dates of stay on Trip Advisor's Website. As a result, we attempted to issue a rebuttal, but Trip Advisor wouldn't allow it. Additionally the review is now showing in the "paid" area of Google's search. A quick review of Wikipedia reveals that Trip Advisor has done this a lot, but especially to international concerns. It appears to be a bad company.

Original review: June 6, 2020

We stayed at Century Plaza Hotel in Vancouver because of 4/5 rating on Tripadvisor. The hotel was disgusting - unclean with unmentionable substances on the carpet and side table. The taps were so old that parts were missing. Paint peeling and peels left on the windowsill from past guests. I tried to write a candid review but Tripadvisor would not let me submit the review. How could this hotel get 4/5 stars? I tried everything, going into my account and the site would not allow bad review.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I am an Airbnb host and made the mistake of also listing on Trip Advisor. I have lost my first potential rental through this site. That was a month rental to the tune of over $4000.00. I had posted pictures of my property on the site but the tenant could not see them and requested more information. I was not able to contact anyone to help me with this. It would have been my first rental through Trip Advisor and I can assure you it will be my last. Renting through them is a joke for hosts. Do not try to host through them. I saw other reviews which said they had trouble getting their money for a rental. Take lessons from AIRBNB they get it right. If your site was the first one that I ever had dealings with I WOULD HAVE GIVEN UP on VACATION RENTALS. YOU are a BIG JOKE and a farce.

Original review: June 2, 2020

I tried to submit a review concerning a hotel with shady business practices (hotel was changing refund policy at whim and basically scamming people out of money because they are unable to make reservations due to COVID-19), and TripAdvisor block this review from being posted!! How is a review about the shady dealings of hotel, PRIOR to booking, not a valid review, considering 1) its' very important to a person prepared to spend a decent amount of money on a room and 2) I have stayed at said hotel before. I would not trust this website, very clearly catering to hotels to beef up their own profits.

Original review: May 31, 2020

A traveler stayed in a property named Treetop Condominiums Property Owners Association, Inc. (Condos) and reported: "Bed bugs in Condo unit 142" followed by a scathing 1-star review. The property I represent (I am the board of directors president) is Treetop Village Property Owners Association, Inc. (Village). Condos and Village are two completely separate businesses run by two separate boards of directors and do not share any guest rooms.

I made multiple requests to TripAdvisor to remove the mistaken review from the Village account. I supplied both company's Missouri Secretary of State business registration filings, which listed the two separate boards of directors, and conclusively prove the two businesses are completely separate entities. I explained that the Village does not have a unit 142 but the Condos do have a unit 142. I supplied the name of the Condo property manager for verification of my complaint/request and offered a letter from the Condo board of directors to validate my report. All requests to remove the mistaken complaint were denied by Tripadvisor.

I ask Tripadvisor to explain the logic of their refusal to correct what was obviously a similar name confusion mistake. They refused to explain and in the end would only say, "We have completed a review inquiry into your concern, and the details of our standard review inquiry procedures cannot be disclosed. The decision about whether a review will remain posted is exclusively that of TripAdvisor and is final. We cannot offer any further comment on this decision."

Our Village reputation has been damaged unfairly and damage to business reputation always results in long-term loss of income when potential travelers smartly chose not to stay in a property reporting bedbugs. Our board of directors is simply asking Tripadvisor to review the facts submitted and remove this damaging mistaken review from the Village posting.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I have tried to cancel my Paris Eiffel Tower tour but their site is down and I could not able to find vendor and request to cancel. Now my credit card charge for the tour. I am really disappointed travel website this time. I will not book my trip with any travel website from now. Expedia.com is the worst though.

Original review: March 13, 2020

I tried to cancel a reservation. I was on hold for 1 hour being told my call was important to them. Then I was disconnected. I got into a live chat. I cancelled my reservation which was due to my country requesting that I do not travel if I don't have to go. I was complying. I was charge a fee of approximately $180. I asked that the fee be forgiven due to the Corona Virus. I was told "read your contract. You are responsible for the cancellation fee." I understand the economic consequences of this virus throughout the world, but it would make more sense to think strategically and keep customers. I had no trouble with car rental and airlines which I will certainly use for future trips.

Original review: March 7, 2020

TripAdvisor would not post a negative review I wrote about a hotel that cancelled my reservation after taking my deposit and hotel refuses to refund me. I had a hotel refuse to refund me my $350.99 I paid as a deposit for a reservation and I wrote a review about this hotel with the facts and supporting documentation and Tripadvisor refused to publish it on their site. I no longer trust Tripadvisors reviews.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I was an inn owner who worked with TripAdvisor in the business advantage program. I sold my business and am still getting charged one year later. I spoke with a business advantage representative at least twice and she said she'd take care of it. I've left her 2 more messages and no response. This is robbery. As a business owner I would never work with them again.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I have just cancelled my TripAdvisor Flipkey vacation rental account after they sent me an email saying "As you did not respond to the booking request the dates are now marked as unavailable on your calendar to avoid disappointing other travelers." after they accused me of not responding to a rental request after 3 days.

I could not accept the booking because, as I told them, I did not have a cell phone signal to receive their verification code. My requests for customer support were met by a series of threatening FAQ email replies and one that said they had tried to call my cell phone and could not get a reply! DUH! Then finally the arrogant email quoted above. Like many large online companies TripAdvisor now joins the ranks of those who believe that they can treat their paying customers with this kind of disrespect.

TripAdvisor.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team