TripAdvisor

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I paid for a vacation rental in Florida at 5 miles Disney, spacious villa on January 10, 2017. The full amount was pending on my credit card immediately. I received a text message at 11:48AM stating the owner has edited your booking. The owner asked for almost $100 more than what was quoted on TripAdvisor's site. I was trying to stay in my budget, so I deleted one day off my vacation. I paid the price that was advertised for the second time. However, at 12:39PM, I received another text message stating that the owner has edited my booking. I paid the owners asking price once again. After paying the additional fee twice, I received a text message again at 12:55PM. However, this time it stated "Unfortunately, the owner has canceled your booking". After all that I went through with this particular vacation rental, I figured that's fine, I'll just look for another one.

So I did. I found another vacation rental in Florida and paid part of the fee for that one assuming that the money from the first vacation rental would be refunded to me since the owner canceled my booking. I checked my account the same day and the money was still pending. I checked my account the very next day and the money was still pending. I decided to contact the owner of the vacation rental to ask for my refund. I sent the owner a message. The owner told me that she didn't cancel my booking. I explained to her that I received a message stating that "Unfortunately, Sai (The owner) has canceled your booking." I advised her that because of that, I found another one.

Neither the owner of the property nor TripAdvisor is willing to give me back my money. I lost $657 on this trip and my trip is still canceled. My trip was scheduled for July 4th and in less than 2 days, I lost out on my money. Then, to top it off, my next scheduled trip that I put a $217.92 deposit on is scheduled with TripAdvisor as well. I don't feel comfortable giving these people my money nor doing business with them. They are a fraudulent company. However, their customer service department told me that I will lose out on that money as well if I cancel. They are extremely unprofessional and unreliable. Horrible company.

Do not use TripAdvisor for booking your reservation!!!! They advertise there are not any fees to use their site. Totally wrong!!! I recently booked a cottage for a week in Prince Edward Island, Canada and only found out after paying a 50% deposit plus the booking fee that they charged a booking fee of $163.13, or 14.5% of the weekly rate for the cottage. The remaining 50% had to be paid 28 days before the scheduled check-in date. If I were to cancel, I would be refunded only half of the cottage rate and none of the booking fee. If I did not pay the second 50% twenty-eight days prior to check-in, they would automatically cancel my reservation. If I had booked directly with the owner, I would have avoided the booking fee, would have paid a deposit of 30% rather than 50% and would have paid the remainder only when I checked in. A fairly expensive lesson!!

On top of all this, TripAdvisor doesn't pay the owner until I check in, so they have the use of my money for a couple of months at no cost to them. What a bunch of scammers! In actual fact, I had already contacted the owner and left a voicemail requesting the reservation, but when I didn't hear from them right away because they were not at home for the day, I was concerned about losing their last available week in July. TripAdvisor appeared as a pop-up on my computer, advertising no fees for using their site, so I decided to book through them. TripAdvisor contacted the owner via texting to their mobile and the owner accepted the booking with them prior to their arriving home and getting my voicemail. Live and learn. I recommend very strongly against using TripAdvisor for any bookings!!!!

I searched for gites to rent on TripAdvisor and booked one that promised 4 bedrooms in the area we wanted to go for the weekend. The cost was the similar to another gite I had booked in March this year. TripAdvisor were prompt in taking my payment and sending me a receipt confirming the 4 bedroom property had been booked. I spoke with the owner by email and she said she would wait at the property to give us the key.

On arriving at the property I was surprised to find the owner and all her family and 2 huge dogs all there waiting. She showed us round and then showed us our room and told us there were a few students and a family staying in the other rooms. My friend and I did not want to share a room let alone a bed and after telling the owner we needed 2 rooms we ended up leaving and finding a hotel. By the time we returned home and I contacted tripadvisor the owner had updated her listing to say it was a B&B. I emailed them my receipt showing that I had booked the 4 bedroom place but they refused a refund as 'the advert is now quite clear'. I feel that I have been conned. Beware of tripadvisor.

DO NOT do business with these idiots. I am on the national do not call list, yet these people have been totally harassing my family and I on our phone. They call OVER AND OVER AND OVER, 1 minute apart!! I had to block them with the phone company, and I also filed a complaint with the FCC. I went to their site and tried to email them, but they don't have any way for you to contact them, everything is totally automated. I can't find the email or phone number for this place.

My office made a reservation in Ramada Plaza in Holtsville, NY based on fake review on Tripadvisor. The hotel is disaster. I say it because I be here for the whole month so I wrote review and submitted to be published in their website. They have rejected twice so far. They want positive review so they can sell rooms to customers and negative review means no money. Those reviews that say good things about this hotel are fakes. If anybody has a doubt check this hotel and find out yourself.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

I have a listed business on TripAdvisor. This website does not help business owners to maintain reputation but to destroy it, internet trolls everywhere leaving bad comments and reviews, regardless to its credibility. And when there is a problem, you never can find a real person to talk to solve the problem. All you can do is send email to an email address that is one off. You can't even reply to their response, and their responses are a bunch of templates with all the big words that doesn't make any sense. Their phone number page directs you to random pages and log you off instantly. I felt very frustrated when trying to contact them, dealing with computers and auto responses. DO NOT recommend!

I wrote 86 reviews to help fellow travelers from different hotels and restaurants across the world. In the past my feedback was posted and on 1 or 2 occasions revised. We visited Zanzibar in April, we stayed at Ngalawa Beach Village. Bad experience yet TripAdvisor allows owner of resort to verbally negatively comment on my review mentioning our names, but removed our reviews as there were honest negative remarks which would assist fellow travelers not to make the same mistakes.

I have a holiday house which I have let through TripAdvisor for three years. It is a superb property, immaculately maintained and cleaned and I have worked hard to keep it at the highest standard. As a result I have had 43 reviews all of which are rated excellent/5*. However, TripAdvisor have refused me a 'Certificate of Excellence', even though many other properties in the area with far fewer reviews have this badge to help with their bookings.

When I asked TripAdvisor about this they said it was because of the type of listing I have with them, and I would have to change from the 'annual' type whereby I pay a subscription and then there are no further fees, to the '3%' route which in actual fact results in both the owner AND the guest/holidaymaker paying TripAdvisor extra booking fees. This is just a cynical ploy to get customers to change to TripAdvisor's preferred listing method, I suspect so they can make more money as a result.

TripAdvisor is a complete joke run by ignorant and uneducated people (based in Germany, which tell you everything). They allow reviews to be published that are inaccurate and blatant lies - providing 100% proof to them to show how the review is fake means nothing to them. They are destroying a lot of small businesses, but tbh - who reads that rubbish on their site? I think a lot of serious reviewers don't go to their platform, but to Trust Pilot... Trust Pilot is the very best in this field and if you compare the two then you'll see that TripAdvisor is an embarrassing joke and whose days are numbered as you really CANNOT trust the options on TripAdvisor.

Our vacation property is listed in Merida, Mexico. A very troubled renter contacted me to say she had google mapped our property address just prior to arriving, only to realize that that the listing advertised in Yuma, Arizona is actually in Merida, Mexico. She and her family rented our property for 3 days for the occasion of her son's wedding, and now they have no place to stay.

I checked listings under Yuma, Arizona, and sure enough, our listing appeared. It is also still listed in Merida, Mexico. I called customer service to explain this terrible mistake, and to request a refund for the renter. I received a follow up email saying the renter would be refunded the money, but I will be charged a $150. cancellation fee. This is totally unjust since the mistake was not mine, but a mistake in listing by TripAdvisor. I was told that "it is the responsibility of the owner to check all listings." I have checked my Merida listing, but why would I check other cities to see if TA listed my vacation rental???

When reviewing flight availabilities on the TripAdvisor App, I decided to pay the $12 to save one flight for a week. The App saved the flight for me... but for different dates than I had picked. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE available to help with it! I picked a name out of my head and left a message with Paul ** I believe. Hoping that someone could help me with it or reverse the charges. Now as I go back through my bank statement... that charge has a note on it stating it is a recurring charge! WHAAATTT?

I'm trying to contact again someone for support with this and now the site won't recognize my sign in. Repeatedly I receive a pop up message that my sign in is incorrect... specifically my sign in and password do not match. Not true! I even did the send my info to my email and then even tried creating a new account and received a pop up message stating that it seems I already have an account so please sign in... still same thing.

Why is there NO CUSTOMER SERVICE available?? Why didn't Paul ** return my call? Why is this company advertising to assist customers when their app/website clearly has every block imaginable in place to NOT assist customers?? I am very upset about this and do not want to be repeatedly charged for a service that I do not intend to use! Please tell me what I can do to make sure I am not repeatedly charged by this company? Bad app. Even worse customer service policy.

I'm an owner of 2 vacation properties. Originally, TripAdvisor and their multiple websites offered an ideal platform to advertise. In summary of a year's worth of tracking and some additional research on my part, it appears TripAdvisor creates fictitious inquiries and sends them to their paying client's account to inflate metrics and make it to appear that your paid subscription is producing quality results. After one year of tracking on a separate spreadsheet it appears that TripAdvisor inquiries has resulted in 5% of my complete revenue. Furthermore, their subscription membership increased from $350 (I received a $50 coupon) to now $599. I have not received any new inquiries in 1.5 months.

When I called 10 days ago to inquire about a reduction in my annual subscription (due at the end of this month) and to voice my concern regarding lack of inquiries and 'quality inquiries' that lead to actual bookings, they said they could not reduce the subscription. After my phone call, strangely enough - inquiries come to BOTH my rental properties almost daily since, with similar dates, similar vague language - like 'Would like to know more about property'. All my email responses have netted ZERO RESPONSES. I can say with almost 100% certainty - these are fictitious inquiries that are being pushed out from TripAdvisor's call center. I believe through some further research that some of the IP addresses are coming from the TripAdvisor Philippines call center. It seems their tactic of sending bogus inquiries for the most part is a collaboration of fictional information found on the internet.

In one case, they used someone's real phone number (most of the phone numbers are dead-end, automated VM), and the person I reached thought I was selling them something - and that were totally caught off guard that they sent in an inquiry to our vacation property the other day, and that they are not interested in whatever I'm selling them. If you are a property owner and thinking of advertising with TripAdvisor, YOU MAY WANT TO THINK THROUGH HOW MUCH OF YOUR TIME IS SPENT ANSWERING BOGUS INQUIRIES, and the decreased value TripAdvisor is offering. In addition to the false advertising they are committing. Fortunately, my neighbor is our former state representative and I will running this by him to understand if my research and documents may be of help to further investigate this situation.

I placed a substantial deposit on a vacation rental early in the year, on a July rental. In the early Spring TripAdvisor informed me the property was no longer available, and now they are refusing to refund my deposit until they recover the funds from their customer, the property owner. They ignored my emails, and finally I made contact by telephone (what a challenge that is!). They acknowledge I am owed the refund but they will not process it until they get their money back. Why should their problems be my problem? This is egregious and high handed from a multi-million dollar company. Man up TripAdvisor, dip into your petty cash and do the honourable thing! Seriously, is anyone in authority at TripAdvisor authorizing this despicable behavior?

This was the first time I have ever used an Internet booking agent and the experience has been far from pleasant! Upon arrival to the vacation we was greeted by a horrible smell, not sure if it is the propane gas or what, and lots so of nastiness. There was mice poop on kitchen counters, ants everywhere, spiders and many other creeping critters. I spent many hours cleaning just to try to make it stayable. I reported the problem to the owner and TripAdvisor with no response. I paid over $200.00/night for this place. It is an overpriced run down dirty place! And seemingly owner nor booking agent wants to address the situation! VERY UNHAPPY VACATIONER!!!

I booked a hotel through TripAdvisor. I made this booking a month in advance. They advertised I could cancel the reservation up to 24 hours before check in. I canceled the day after I booked it. The hotel, The Joule in Dallas, had already charged my card ($1,400.00). They would NOT credit my card back. The Joule stated the charge was non-refundable. After calling TripAdvisor, I got NOWHERE. They have people with rehearsed lines on what to say when customers complain. I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company, USAA. USAA had to start dealing with TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor did NOTHING to help me. Each phone call ended in disappointment on my end. Even when talking to a "higher up" or "manager", I got nothing. The "higher up" said exactly the same thing.

Do NOT use TripAdvisor for booking ANYTHING!! DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM!!! It's been THREE MONTHS!!! USAA credited me back; stating they are STILL in dispute with TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor is not good for their word and do not advertise accurate information. Very disappointed in that organization and with the hotel. The JOULE, in Dallas was very rude when I called and totally NOT helpful!

As owners of both a vacation rental and a restaurant, we have had nothing but terrible experiences whenever dealing with TripAdvisor. First of all, it is almost impossible to reach a real person. Then if & when you do, they cannot speak understandable English! Their site is VERY difficult to navigate - we have had a multitude of customers tell us that they can't find us on TripAdvisor! Also, their vacation rental calendar will NOT sync with other sites, so we have to continually go in and update it manually. Bottom line, TripAdvisor is a pain to have to deal with! This company is NOT one you want to do business with, but we are forced to because of their name recognition in the market. I wish they would just GO AWAY!!!

Last Dec, we booked a property (vacation rental) in Atlanta and the home owner cheated us after the booking was complete saying that he would not be in town and he lives upstairs in the property displayed on the website (which was not disclosed to us before the booking). We were told to cancel the booking which we did and called TripAdvisor to escalate the issue because the owner was not ready to refund the money. We called TripAdvisor at least 30 times over a period of 3 to 4 months and each time we called we had to go over the whole matter and all they did was say they will call back which they never did.

Finally, they agreed to have a 3 way conversation between owner, us and TripAdvisor. This was a big lie which never happened and they never even told us what they are up to. After another month, we got an email saying that they cannot do anything and money goes to owner. Please do not book anything via TripAdvisor as they have extremely poor customer service and you will end up losing all your money in cases like this where the owner is a cheat.

I was on TripAdvisor in order to warn people about an attraction in my town however they decided to censor my review and not post it while positive reviews always get approved and I have done plenty of research that shows that I am by far not the only one having issues or being censored. This website and its people are engaging in direct censorship for dubious reasons. Whether this is because they are paid by those companies to keep reviews positive or not is yet to be proven but I imagine it would not be hard. Needless to say they are not trustworthy and should not be used period.

TripAdvisor censored one of my reviews. They gave absolutely no explanation and not for lack of asking: I asked them five times! For the life of me, I can't imagine what was wrong with the review, but, there you have it, they censored it!

TripAdvisor took over the site we used for 9 years, vacationhomerentals.com. We only discovered this when were renewing VHR.com. The cost was 100% increase from what we had previously paid vacationhomerentals.com ($199.00) to $399.00! Vacationhomerentals.com had been very beneficial, and productive in the past, so I renewed. Big mistake!! Now we are a little fish in a big pond and have NOT received a referral that actually rented our Cape Cod home. I was always quick to respond, but still no success. Four hundred dollars wasted! I emailed them with my concerns and never received a response. Don't use the website! When we were on vacationhomerentals.com, 7-8 years, we had to turn renters away b/c rental season was fully rented. Before TripAdvisor we had multiple referrals and inquiries. Now none!

I have been a member for 10 years and I have over 2 dozen reviews published with good feedback from members. TripAdvisor used to be a good site. Not anymore. In January 2017 I wrote a negative review about a restaurant that was first rejected for not a valid reason. Their reasoning made no sense. I objected and they published it. Unfortunately each time they deny a review, you have to rewrite it, they do NOT reactivate it. They have it in their system, so I am not sure why this is not done. I rewrote the review, it was published and the manager/owner responded. The response was ridiculous, claiming it was a misunderstanding due to language issues because I wrote the review in English, he assumed (?) I did not speak the local language. I do, I am a native of that country, living in the US. All my reviews are written in English.

You cannot respond to the manager, so the review now for the readers made no sense. I had to make clear to the readers the manager was wrong and the restaurant was lousy. TripAdvisor suggested I remove and rewrite the review, which is what I did. Surprise, surprise, They rejected it again and since then, about a month now, I have been trying to speak to a supervisor to finally get a result. If you write to the customer service online, you will repeatedly get the same form response from different people. Based on what I wrote the response makes no sense, they suggest to do something that was already done, so it is clear no one ever reads the emails but they each time close the case, because according to them "the problem was resolved". My problem was NOT resolved yet I cannot get a response. No my emails are being ignored.

To get through to a customer service rep by phone is impossible. The 800 number will get you to a site that does NOT have live help. Sadly TripAdvisor is now a site with human robots, instead of thinking customer service reps, who do not respond to your questions, they read some assigned scripts and your problem is never addressed. I suggest to write a review only if you have a lot of patience and a lot of free time to deal with TripAdvisor. This site is horrible.

As owners of a vacation rental, we were forced onto TripAdvisor after they acquired VacationHomeRentals. The price for a listing increased over 500% and it is now virtually impossible to find our property through their search capabilities. It is also impossible to contact them with support issues. This borders on criminal behavior.

I did not mind giving reviews at places I visited, but every time I go somewhere TripAdvisor is right there nagging me with their messages to review etc. Nobody likes to be nagged constantly everywhere you go! Keep in mind people, you are helping them maintain their business with your constant reviews/taking your time to do so with "zero" compensation at all... not even a coupon to one of these many places you review! Today I got an e-mail asking for donations for REFUGEES!?! Really? Cause last I know, I did not vote for Hillary Clinton that supports refugees! The minute these people get into asking support for ILLEGALS is when I draw the line! Bye, Bye, TripAdvisor! Besides, it is less junk mail in my inbox daily! What a joke TripAdvisor is.

Booking by TripAdvisor not a good value. We had the most uncomfortable sleep because the mattress was very soft. We felt like sleeping in a doughnut. Additionally the hotel charged premium price to allow a dog, yet the dog relief area was totally disgusting. Needless to say my rating for a one night stay was just one star. TripAdvisor has not posted my review. Additionally we found out from other hotel guest that their hotel room was $59. Our rate was $132 plus pet fee for a total of $160. TripAdvisor site is dishonest by not posting a negative review. I do not recommend TripAdvisor to anyone.

As a small business owners at the mercy of TripAdvisor I have found that because I pay the basic fees to them I do not get the service the larger hotels get. It takes weeks for my photos to get posted. They refuse to take down the old consumer photos prior to my ownership even after I supplied the deed showing the date I purchased my hotel. In today's day TripAdvisor can make or break your small business.

I booked a house in lake region of South Carolina. Noticed there were no reviews which I usually rely on but the price and description were what we're looking for so I decided to go ahead and reserve it anyway. Noticed a few discrepancies (location and bed count) in the listing and brought that to the attention of the owner. We corresponded a few times and then several weeks later (Apr. 13) I received a notice from the owner that the house was no longer available and he was pulling his listing from TA due to they "keep moving his house across the lake and discounting the rate." I was unable to respond back to him so I clicked around to find out what I needed to do or who to call to get my credit. I read that I would receive it in 7 days.

After checking the account after 10 days and 2 e-mails to the company with no response to my requests, I called and after several attempts to speak to a human about this I finally spoke with one who said my husband needed to be present for it was his name on the credit card. I had to call back and go through the same agonizing process to reach another representative who I had to explain the whole experience to since they don't seem to keep good records of these situations. I was told the owner had to tell them he canceled and hadn't done that yet even though I was cut off from communication with him and his listing was pulled from the site. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't know this.

The representative told me we were double booked. (I think he got a better offer and took it and so screwed us). They said they would send me an e-mail with a case number and so at my request, I offered to stay on the line until I received this, which after about 10 minutes I did. No explanation was given as to why my e-mails were ignored. I was simply asking for confirmation of this incident and proper resolution. They then said the 7 days of processing this cancellation would begin and I should see a full credit on my credit card statement in 7 days. We'll see!

I was on TripAdvisor for 3 years and had my property listed on it. I also have my property listed on VRBO and Airbnb. During the 3 years I have been on TripAdvisor, they have shut my account off 14 times because they claimed I included information that was "illegal"... such as rates. They do not accurately show the amounts people owe even when I set it up correctly so when a person asks me about a rate, I would have to correct it. There were other questions I had to answer and they blocked the emails and deactivate my account each time.

I have had maybe 10 people tops contact me via TripAdvisor over the three years, it is NOT a site people should use nor rely on as being accurate if you are a homeowner or renter. Most recently someone contacted me and asked a question, I replied and was shut down so they did not see my reply. I contacted TripAdvisor and the first two people did not speak English, the last one was just a plain **. POOR customer service! Plenty of other sites to use!!

Be careful and not register your home on their website. They have found a system, to gather ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION, and then for no apparent reason to reject. In fact this has become a new way to create a complete database with absolutely all your personal data... which is totally shocking. So if you want to protect your personal data, Do not register.

They have created a simple registration form... enabling you to provide all information within a matter of less than 3 minutes. Then contrary of Airbnb, they give you the choice of Bank Account details and PayPal. Once this is done, they then ask shockingly the dead of the property... once they gather everything. Then they send a mail saying... "Due to inconsistency your account is deactivated." Shockingly after all that, you don't even have the right to know why? Indeed, you are left with nothing... Whilst an online business detain all your personal data, to the bone... even the dead of your property. Shocking!

TripAdvisor is misleading customers with regards to cancellation fees. It states that you can cancel up to 24 hours provided your stay is 60 days away. TOTAL CONFUSION AND WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN. Booking.com is a better website and very clear on their cancellation policy. I thought I had free cancellation as long as it was 60 days away from my stay but I did not get a refund and I cancelled in 3 days. AND MY STAY WAS 5 MONTHS AWAY. Will not be recommending TripAdvisor for any bookings in the future.

I had been letting my cottage with TripAdvisor (originally HolidayLettings) for nearly 7 years. All was good under HolidayLettings until TripAdvisor took control. Without going into every last detail of how poor they have become I will be brief and give readers the main reasons why I am no longer with them. My subscription renewal was just about doubled this year with no explanation at all. I did reply to an email that was sent to me requesting an explanation, expecting all the usual pathetic reasons they normally give you, but what I actually got was nothing. They could not even be bothered to respond to this valued customer that has been handing cash over to them for the previous 6 years. I have become very aware of what TripAdvisor are doing. They do not want owners paying subscriptions as they can make much more cash by forcing owners to use their pay as you book method.

The service charge as they call it adds substantial costs to the holidaymaker unless the owner drops the cost of the renting the cottage. They have got the nerve to suggest that you advertise for free using this method. True only if guests are prepared to pay up to 15% more for their holiday, but of course adding 15% or so to the cost of your cottage is bound to result in lower bookings, hence it's not free. The bottom line is that they are forcing costs up considerably for holiday makers. As a subscription payer you were also subject to having your advert dropped down the list of cottages advertised and giving potential customers the view that your booking was only safe if you booked through the TripAdvisor platform and not to the owner direct, which was very insulting.

The other problem with TripAdvisor is that if you have a problem as an owner you have very little chance of contacting anyone. Every route you try sends you around in circles on their helpdesk which is as I have found incredibly frustrating and never answered my questions. So be aware, as a holiday home booker with TripAdvisor, you are paying a very high service fee for very little service. I booked a holiday last year through TripAdvisor and paid well over £200 to them as part of the cost, for what? No more letting my cottage through them or booking a holiday through them.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.
  • Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.
  • Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.
  • Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.
  • In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.
  • Best for Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites