TripAdvisor

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

As an owner of an apartment rental business and No. 1 in my TripAdvisor category as well as Trivago and booking.com I was surprised to receive a poor review. The review mention various details that proved that the reviewer had not actually stayed with us. For instance they weren't happy with the breakfast buffet (we don't and never have offered a breakfast buffet) and also the apartment's terrace (this apartment has not been available for over a year) and also that they had been part of a wedding party (we haven't catered for a wedding party in over a year).

I asked a advisor to contact the client to supply a receipt or booking number to prove they stayed with us but was refused. My complaint was literally replied to within 3 minutes. No recourse was available. At the same time I was being quoted 1700€ by become an enhanced member. I was told that if I had paid them my complaint would have been reviewed. I replied I would happily pay the money to be removed from their pages. How can any potential clients trust a review website that doesn't verify the reviewer actually ate or stayed at the establishment. Unfair, inaccurate and unsubstantiated reviews to not give any confidence in their business model and I suggest users get their information from sites such as booking.com where you can only leave a review after they have stayed. Avoid.

My wife booked travel through TripAdvisor. They used a third party to confirm the travel, Agoda. We tried to cancel the trip and got confirmation the cancellation was confirmed but never got reimbursed for the $800+ charged to our card. We tried to work with Agoda but never got anywhere. Bad experience. Still $800+ out.

On Dec 28, 2016, while on vacation in Dominican Republic my friend and I went to a Karaoke Bar named EL CAFECITO KARAOKE BAR, IN Santo Domingo, somebody put a drug in my beer bottle, possibly, **, because the side effects, blurred vision, poor coordination, impaired judgment, I was asked to write down stuff. I was asked to pay the bill. I don't have a recollection of doing any of these acts. I was not on control of my actions, thanks God, I induced vomiting. I recovered very quickly, realizing what has happened to me. I recalled, a man in the bar, offering to drive me home, possibly to continue the assault or end my life! This is serious!!!

Buyer beware of renting a vacation house through the TripAdvisor. We had a terrible experience renting a so-called beach house for $200/night for one week in Baja California. We arrived in a dark rainy night, coming across the following undisclosed issues. When we opened a case with TripAdvisor, all we received was lip service (Case No: **). Currently, the Trip Advisor is advertising the same place for $250/night by the same owner. We seriously hope that you don't have to go through the same experience. This is especially true, when TripAdvisor blatantly ignores serious health-related issues such as mice droppings (a Hantavirus concern), and continues to advertise the same property to the public. I have attached a few of more than a dozen pictures that we forwarded to Trip Advisor to no avail.

The roof was leaking into the house in several places. The heating system was not working. The hot water system working sporadically. WIFI not working in spite of our efforts. Microwave oven was not working. The regular oven not operational. There were no cooking utensils, as promised. There were lots of mice droppings in the kitchen and pantry (Hantavirus concern). We discovered this one the next morning.

I went to TripAdvisor to research hotels. I found that sorting by price and choosing a brand that I'd stayed before worked for me. I didn't use the sort by rating feature or read any reviews. I'd only do that if I was comparing brands where there was more of an unknown factor. Although, I do want to make sure there are more than a few reviews so I know the hotel is being used. There were a couple cool features that made TripAdvisor stand out for me. They let me book my hotel using my TripAdvisor account, which they didn't used to offer. Also, if I write a review about the hotel I stayed at, the Trip will send me a $20 Amazon gift card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Last August I decided to give it a try to TripAdvisor Vacation rental. Decided for a place in Phuket, Thailand and paid the deposit. Everything schedule for December. November, before paying the balance, I sent a note to the local company asking to confirm my rental. Then I got the "NO, we don't have any reservation under your name or Tripadvisor for this properties. Sorry we are sold out." After many calls to the customer service, I had to put them in contact to the Thailand rental company to confirm that there was no place for me to go.

Then, about 10 days later I got the deposit back. Then, started again to try to find a place to stay and found one in a reputable rental website. However, much higher cost, since was just 20 days before my vacation. And heard from TripAdvisor staff that they can do nothing in this case. Looks like the deposit is just a one way thing. Now imagine if I just have trusted them and paid the balance and get ready to travel, arriving in Phuket and finding out that we don't have a house? Very poor business model. Stay away!

It was relatively easy and I just love the site. Lots of info and testimonials and we found the guides/trips we took through Europe and Asia to be accurate as described, and most professional, courteous and friendly.

Have found guides, hotels, and restaurants. Very good site for comparing and contrasting value. Generally accurate. Have been very satisfied with the help provided to us in planning many trips both in the United States and abroad.

I tried to book three times to go on vacation, and 3 owners, kept canceling my dates as people already there, wanted to add in additional dates at the last second. They sent me the quote, then suddenly I get "canceled"??? It's super annoying when you THINK you are "locked in" with a pricey deposit only to have to scurry to find someplace else. They ended up telling me about another "studio" in the same building, which I took, despite the one terrible review. Time was running out. It's the same price as the "updated" unit, I got booted from.

Right now, I have waited 2 days for the owner to tell me if "their taxi driver" can pick me up or not. I am handicapped and I made it known. NOT RESPONDING to a customer who has paid you in full is just wrong. TA sent me a link to get 20% off from Viator, but they are subcontractors of TA. They have airport transfers that you have to pay in full ahead of time. The day sailing excursions have NO DETAILS about where the pick up is, and there is no place to ask and no number to call. If there is no phone number, that is a huge red flag.

I visit TripAdvisor before every trip I take to make sure I'm prepared and visit all the highlights of whatever city I'm traveling to. It's great because it gives you insight to honest reviews, images, and tips from other travelers.

TripAdvisor advertised a room for $57.00 dollars a night. I even had my fiance in a different city logged onto the site to review with me what I was seeing and considering. When we saw the offer for a Super 8 with excellent reviews, close to where we wanted to be and an excellent price, I booked. The hotel stay was wonderful. The price I was charged was anything but! How $57.00 dollars a night for a three-night stay turned into a $318.00 for the three nights is inexcusable! I called customer service, their service through CANCELON. I was told it was impossible, I could have never seen or been offered that rate. Wrong!!! Two people in different cities viewed the offer for $57.00.

Customer service seemed to be in another country and pretty much all but told me I was seeing things that were not there. We were happy with our accommodations and decided to extend our stay. Guess what??? We were charged less for the additional night than we were charged per night through TripAdvisor. $77.00 per night for the last minute additional night rather than the BAIT AND SWITCH PRICE OF TRIPADVISOR OF $106.00 A far cry from the $57.00 per night advertised...

I mostly use TripAdvisor to determine which activities are worthwhile when traveling. I have also used it to get reviews on hotels and restaurants/bakeries. It has been very helpful when planning trips.

I like the reviews by the other people. It is useful to me to see the opinions of others. I like the way TripAdvisor is set up so you can get an idea of what to expect from the places I will be going to see and stay.

There weren't any additional costs that I'm aware of. I go to this site mainly to read reviews to help plan my trips. I like the fact that I can download certain cities for offline viewing as well. Very convenient!

TripAdvisor, to me, is very trustworthy. I can find everything I am looking for, from Hotels to Price to Activities. Example, before taking a cruise with my family of 8, I found a reputable snorkeling trip that was well below the ship's offered excursion and noticed their packed boats of people while we enjoyed a Catamaran of 25 people. What a difference. I always use TripAdvisor when traveling especially reviews of hotels. It's easy to weed out the petty and deceitful lies people write about. I have found more great places this way.

TripAdvisor keeps up to date info about places and has the most detailed accurate info I've found. They also send frequent offers for discounts on flights, hotels, auto etc. And they have a fun to use app to use to write your own reviews.

When I booked a villa in Florida this year it started ok, but then they sent an invitation for a villa which by description looked like the one I had booked. Sent monies only to find out it was another and I had lost my deposit.

I have consistently used this site for many years now. I appreciate that one can pick and choose categories of reviews that you want to read. For instance those reviews by people who are closer in age to you, or couples with kids etc. etc. I have also contributed many reviews. The site helps me to fine tune my trips and itineraries.

WARNING! Don't EVER, EVER, EVER book a reservation through Trip Advisor! If you do, be prepared to be offered rooms that are not available, have your reservation totally screwed up and pay a 20% fee for these "services". First of all, in no place do they inform you that you are being charged a 20% premium when you book through them. And then they KEEP sending you emails offering rooms that are not available or that your inquiry has expired when, in fact, one has already booked the room.

Book directly with the establishment. Trip Advisor does not communicate with the places they advertise so they are selling something they do not own and cannot deliver. After they cheat you, they will not refund the 20% they ripped you off for under any circumstances nor will they admit culpability. The customer service agent refuses to pass the customer up the chain to a superior after they refuse to take any action on your complaint. They refuse to take any kind of responsibility for the fact that they do not keep up with availability of rooms from the hotels they book for.

I used Tingo Travel service to book a room for 2 nights with the understanding that I could cancel the 2nd night as long as I gave 24 hours' notice. They said it was dependent on the hotel's policy. The hotel had no issue with giving me a refund for the 2nd night, but Tingo would not allow for that, telling me it was the hotel causing the non-refund when actually it was them. Tingo is owned by TripAdvisor. Why is TripAdvisor even booking rooms now? It seems that is a conflict of interest.

I have been on TripAdvisor for about 5 years, have written 98 reviews and got lots of helpful hint votes from other travelers. I was discouraged when I noticed some recent reviews had not been published about hotels I had stayed at. It had come down to a review I had written about an Irish bar in China, it was terrible, especially seeing a western man managing the place and parading his 3-year child around a smoky bar, notwithstanding the food was terrible and the service, the place deserved the negative review it got.

TripAdvisor had then decided to stop publishing my review (I've written about 4 negative reviews out of 98). TripAdvisor aside from being virtually uncontactable have only responded by saying it didn't meet their guidelines...? It's ridiculous that they have now even removed the review... it seems to me TripAdvisor is now a absolute con. They should be held accountable for removing legitimate reviews. They cannot be in the business. They are a pick and choose! And since that review they are not even publishing my other reviews. I will not operate with them anymore but I fully intend to support any effort to bring TripAdvisor and their con of a business to everyone's attention.

TripAdvisor will abuse your email address sending liberal political positions without asking for your agreement. The CEO is a ultra liberal who thinks it is OK to send emails based on his ultra-liberal viewpoint to every email his company has. He believes we should allow thousands of "refugees" from countries we know are the source of terrorists! Avoid this business at all costs!

TripAdvisor.com, my place of employment, someone made up some exaggerated and wrong things about me, by name, online. Not only can this destroy my career but the series of events that the person claimed took place did not. Insulting me for the public to see is bad enough. Lying about my character and the series of events is immoral and against TripAdvisor's terms of service and they won't take my name off that review. I need this rectified, they don't seem to care.

While traveling in France my wife & I tried to book an AirBNB in La Rochelle through TripAdvisor. I went through their site (big mistake!) instead of going through Air BNB. When I clicked through to 'Book it' (after I had entered my credit card information) a message came up saying the site was 'not available'. It clearly stated on the opening page that the AirBNB was available. Thinking I needed to move on, I clicked on my 2nd choice and came to the same message: 'not available'. I then called my 3rd choice, a hotel, and made a successful reservation there (which cost me nothing until I got to see the room and agreed to take it). We were on the road and driving, so I closed down the computer and we headed for La Rochelle. Once there, I opened the computer and saw 2 responses, one each from the owners of the AirBNB's confirming my reservations (and deposits). I immediately emailed both back, along with TripAdvisor to tell them the error.

The owners were both understanding but TripAdvisor denied any problem with their website and basically left me out to dry. To date we have been billed for the full deposits, over $500 – we understand there might be some cost but full deposits are total BS – we filed a PayPal claim and advised Visa to not pay, but both declared these legitimate because we missed the confirming emails and the billings went through. TripAdvisor required us to provide an email from them stating the sites weren't available (that they knew didn't exist). We couldn't provide because it was a message at the end of the purchase process, not an email, and it all went away when I closed the site. They would not budge and would not confess any problem with their website even though it's clear no one would make 3 separate reservations for the same day without something being very wrong. We will NEVER use TripAdvisor again and strongly advise others to steer clear.

We traveled to Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras, Central America, during early November, 2016. We spent 10-nights in a house that had rats defecating all over outdoor furniture nightly and sometimes during the day. Ants invaded the kitchen at night. Worse yet, a local "caretaker" is allowed to live in one of two units for rent and in our case the "lower unit" was vacated by a very nice couple who departed a few days after we arrived, and to note we got along just fine with them, the rats and the ants. A much larger and intolerable pest showed up. Manu, a Roatan local that sells taxi/tour services arrived.

Long story short our minor problems at that house were altered for the worse. Manu is also a local pimp and traffics a young girl who stays with him. Safety lights, that were installed for obvious reasons, on the flight of stairs to the upper unit were disabled and when I inquired with Manu about these lights he told me flatly and unabashedly to, "Just use the patio light, you don't need the stair lights." Wrong answer.

We contacted the rental agency regarding the safety lights and the lies and harassment from that point on was absolutely horrid. We witnessed an agency maintenance man arrive two days later, argue with Manu, slammed the front door and ripped two 8' long tire ruts into lawn adjacent to the driveway as he departed the property (our car was parked behind Manu's van because he never left the property for 7-days/nights and we watched this a number of times, made his prostitute walk to the main road about 1/2 mile away over rugged, muddy terrain, and the maintenance guy had to park on the grass next to our car.

The next day after the lights were restored two of our devices were bumped off the router and Manu began arming and disarming a networked alarm system that makes loud audible noises that woke us at 3 am, so we stuffed a pillow over that nuisance. We didn't much care about the internet issue on two of our devices because we also had a laptop that logged on to the router just fine after the fact because Manu was unaware of it. He never saw it logged into the network, just our cell phones. We complained once and saw the "light debacle" go down and the ensuing retaliation from Manu. We were not about to complain again and wonder what else that jerk would do and say behind our back. We watched Manu throw his trash on the ground next to the trash can and he laid around all day watching TV and did absolutely nothing for the entire 7-days/nights we endured his ridiculous nonsense.

We subsequently tried to convey our issues with the rental agency (RoatanLifeVacationRentals) and we were treated very poorly and have lately learned of all the fabrications leveled at us. We contacted the owners who were not in the country at the time (home in Dallas/Ft Worth) and they refuse to answer or reply to our calls, emails and personal messages. We never once asked for any compensation nor threatened anyone with any coercive postings, but we have had a very difficult time with TripAdvisor refusing to allow our review of this rental. We are quite taken aback by what TripAdvisor allows within review content that is of a positive nature, yet if a traveler has an unfortunate experience and wishes to detail this in review, TripAdvisor continuously denies the negative review, no matter how benign and unmalicious the review is.

As a last recourse we have decided to take our issue to other entities that may or may not be able to assist us in our endeavor to relate our horrible experience to unwary travelers who do not deserve to pay thousands of dollars to be treated poorly and labeled liars for their troubles. This is unbelievable as we have never before been confronted with such a dispute and disregarded as we have. Our VRBO (short term house/condo rentals) record is impeccable and we are at a quandary as to how to convey our truthful experience to others without being called liars and blackmailers by the agency or owner who seem to have unfettered access to make up lies about guests. An example... The living room furniture isn't even close to what is being advertised in their listing. However the list of issues with that rental was endless for us. The furniture was the least of our problems and no one cares. Help??

I gave my credit card data as required to book a home in Malibu. I was supposed to be contacted by the owner within 24 hours to CONFIRM the booking.
Instead I got an email thru the TripAdvisor system supposedly from the wife of the owner claiming she's in the Philippines and her husband is handling the response. I am now to contact the website listed on photo #12. The website is "down" for repairs and now I am to contact him at same website subbing "contact".

Smells like a FRAUD to me so I contact my bank which says no charge yet and I cannot void it until they try to enact the charge.

I attempt to contact TripAdvisor to let them know this is most likely a PHONY vacation listing and it is IMPOSSIBLE to contact them. Wow. Glad I am pulling out now. I own 3 vacation homes to let myself and know this is NOT how I operate with potential clients. I will never use TripAdvisor again. Waste of time and almost a loss of a lot of money. Despicable business. BEWARE!

I rented a house in Montaren-et-Saint Médier, France in September-October 2016 on the TripAdvisor website. The house was not at all as shown on the TA website. It was dirty, unmaintained, and uninhabitable. We were greeted by dirty linens piled in front of the washing machine, dirty dishes in the sink, half eaten food in the refrigerator and freezer, no shower head in the bathroom, dirty toilet, yard infested by ants with ant hills every foot, etc. We had to leave and get an hotel room immediately. TA contracts its vacation rentals in France to Holiday Lettings.

I contacted them immediately and began a long process of trying to get our money back. During the time we were in France, French national television aired a program about this type of scam which showed a Holiday Lettings contract exactly like my contract! TripAdvisor and their contractor Holiday Lettings assert that they have a protection policy, but in the end they take no financial responsibility because they do not verify their listings, as they will tell you after a lot of stalling and time taken with phone calls and emails with a customer service representative.

They are only concerned with taking their cut of the price. Because there is no verification of properties and no financial responsibility for their listings, TripAdvisor and Holiday Lettings enable and facilitate fraud and the customer is left holding the bag in my opinion. I will never use them again and will continue to check to see if a class action lawsuit against TripAdvisor and Holiday Lettings is filed in the future.

I booked accommodation for 10 nights over the 2016 Xmas period at Villa Cloud Nine in Seminyak in Bali in February 2016 through TripAdvisor and I paid the 50% deposit in US dollars. I paid the balance of the rental fee at end of October 2016 and within two days of making the final payment the owner contacted me to advise that our accommodation booking had been cancelled because of planned maintenance works. In total I paid US$4,587.33 to TripAdvisor which cost me AUD$6,278.37.

In addition, I paid a further AUD$188.35 in bank fees giving a total cost of AUD$6,466.72. TripAdvisor refunded me the US$4,587.33 at current exchange rates which amounted to only AUD$5,984.40. So the end result is that the owner cancelled my booking and I am "out of pocket" AUD$482.32. I now have to find alternative accommodation in Bali only 5 weeks ago from our travelling date, with limited options available at exorbitant prices. It is wrong that I should be financially disadvantaged when the owner cancelled my booking.

I am not sure if the owner has been truthful about maintenance works being done during the peak rental period and I suspect that the owner has cancelled my booking so that they can take an alternative booking at a much higher rental fee. In fact, TripAdvisor told me the reason for the cancellation was a double booking and not maintenance works. TripAdvisor has turned a blind eye to the matter and appear to be not interested in finding out the truth behind the cancellation even thought it has cost me almost AUD$500.

I have given 1 star rating only because I can't give minus star rating. I own a hotel and a restaurant. About a year ago I have subscribed to TripAdvisor business advertising. Well it looked like a good idea since they have majority hotels on their website. In the last 12 months I have receive no help nor booking, so I have decided to cancel my subscription. Since the cancellation I get only bad reviews published on our listing and as I have been advised by some of my customers they have written positive reviews, however their reviews do not get posted by TripAdvisor.

TripAdvisor will not remove bad reviews written by my competitors even when the reviews are not correct - specifying wrong cuisine, wrong description of the restaurant deco, etc. One cannot speak to a person in TripAdvisor and can only communicate via email. Recently I have received an integrity email from TripAdvisor saying that due to abnormal activities on my property's TripAdvisor listing I might be penalized with a lower ratings. We have not received any property reviews for two months now, so we cannot understand what do they mean by abnormal activity and they could not be bother by giving any explanations. TripAdvisor is highly dishonest company and they should be removed from the webpages.They do disservice to the hospitality business and their guests.

We rented a vacation home in Florida and was told our security deposit will be returned 10 days after move out, which was October 18th. As of today no security deposit had been returned to us. We are not able to speak to anyone, just email. They just send us emails saying the refund was released on October 18th. We were forced to send our statement to show we didn't receive the refund. The runaround is incredible and frustrating.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.
  • Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.
  • Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.
  • Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.
  • In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.
  • Best for Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites