TripAdvisor
2.38/5

Looking for a travel site?

TripAdvisor

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

666 TripAdvisor Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Avoid TripAdvisor. They have very little skill when it comes to helping with issues. I waiting on a return phone call after a small issue mentioned required a cancellation. Getting my money back proved very difficult. I was disgusted that after booking, they put every obstacle in the way preventing you talking to the owner, so you can find out detailed information about his/her property. I tried to cancel, but due to their policy I was to be charged €400 for nothing. This was after finally finding a way to communicate with the owner directly and finding his place wasn't quite suitable for our special trip. Now my issue was, if I had been able to discuss properly with the owner. This would never have got to this awful situation. I enjoy eventually found a way to contact customer service to be told, my cancellation was fine and I would receive a phone call back the next day. I waited. No phone call!!

So after receiving a message from owner agreeing my cancellation, I again contacted customer service after no phone call Al the following day. I was told they hadn't managed to speak with the owner yet, even though I had a message through the TripAdvisor site at 07.20 am that morning advising me he was happy to accept cancellation. So again I was told I would receive a phone call. Well guess what? You've got it. NO PHONE CALL. So I contacted the owner to find he also had been promised a call and like me was still waiting, not only that he was told his rating would go down and would be charged a £100. Let's see now for £100 what have they done. Well to be frank NOTHING AT ALL, NOT EVEN A SIMPLE COURTESY PHONE CALL. After still no phone call and no refund I called again to TripAdvisor.

I managed at least I thought, to speak to a supervisor within TripAdvisor customer service call Sana, who also told me they hadn't contacted the owner yet. So after a few angry words, I told them I was disgusted with their customer service and to be charging anyone was out of order after doing NOTHING NOT EVEN A RETURN PHONE CALL even to the extent of putting the blame on the owner. So I asked them kindly to contact the owner and hopefully sort this situation out and get my refund actioned, Sana promised this would happen and she would contact the owner herself. You guessed it NO CALL to EITHER OF US. My refund has now taken over a week and I'm still awaiting my money.

The owner is £100 DISGUSTINGLY OUT of pocket as they have already taken his money. Yet still no phone call after a number of promises. Absolutely disgraceful service and taking money for doing nothing is worse than stealing. Just so you are all aware the time scale for me canceling was around 1 day. Not weeks or months. 1 single day and wanting to charge me €400 is a scam and taking the poor owner's money and making threats to him is totally unacceptable. One angry disgusted customer. Will I leave any more reviews and assist them. Frankly NO, avoid this company at all cost, that's both OWNERS & CUSTOMERS.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Hi. I did few reviews on cafes on TripAdvisor, then cancelled my account. I have now got people on to me telling me TripAdvisor are taking me to court for this. All I did was reviews and I deleted my account after it - and I get in to trouble still even though my account was deleted.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

"Our travel community appreciates you wanting to share your experience with them, unfortunately we cannot publish your contribution as it does not meet our review guidelines. Reviews are most helpful when they provide unbiased advice. Therefore, we do not allow: ownership, management, or anyone affiliated with the business to publish reviews of that business, reviews between competing establishments, reviews submitted in an attempt to blackmail a listing will not be published. If you suspect a review is fraudulent or does not meet TripAdvisor’s posting guidelines, you can use the “Report Problem with Review” feature located at the bottom of each review. Your reviews really do help and your fellow travelers look forward to hearing about your next trip! Make your review even better by checking out our Tips for Writing Helpful Reviews."

SO! I tried posting a thorough truthful review TWICE on TripAdvisor and this is the message above I received. My review about Chop House on the Bricks was denied twice and it met EVERY SINGLE GUIDELINE. In seems they won't post bad reviews actually at ALL on their site, only positive reviews no matter the cost. People have a RIGHT to know about shady sketchy businesses and their immoral practices.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

The latest scam of Trip Advisor: as if I haven’t already heard of a bunch of shady things that this company does now they are practicing something that is just plain wrong for customers, and is only self-serving. There is now a nice message on your profile that says “XYZ company does not take bookings on Trip Advisor, would you like to book with someone who does” which then takes you away from the exact company you were interested in and sends you to their Viator (aka Tripadvisor) linked options (meaning the companies they make money from).

This is supposed to be a review sites for customers not for self-serving interests. And in the case of our company, when you click the button it doesn’t even take you to similar activities (thank god in our case). How does that help the customer??? To me, this is just plain wrong. This company already requests 30% commissions to link with Viator then uses the merit of YOUR COMPANY’s page and credibility to get you to book with their book now button. THEY don’t do ANYTHING. THIS IS A MONOPOLY and complete garbage.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I've had bad reviews for a number of places quietly go missing. I've also seen places that were swimming with bad reviews have all of their bad reviews go away. Clearly this site is corrupt. Their credibility is gone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I recently reviewed the Hyatt in Cleveland. One of many complaints I made was that the Hyatt manager always tells you they will help but Hyatt is all words, no action. After placing my review on TripAdvisor, another blah, blah, blah response came in from Hyatt confirming how poorly I was treated, indicating that the treatment was not acceptable and stating a willingness to continue the discussion with me.

The problem? There is no obvious way to continue the discussion. There is no contact information. In thinking about it, I realize many companies regularly respond with apologies, noting that your next stay will be better. It is an easy way to look good without actually doing anything. This is a game that TripAdvisor is helping to perpetuate by not pushing the supplier of the goods or service to prove or show that it has done something. TripAdvisor is really just an arm of the service provider, nothing more. They are not really helping consumers by not pushing suppliers to follow through on their promises, In the end, consumers are left with false impressions of the company being reviewed. It is a bit of a joke.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

TripAdvisor demands that you write a minimum of 200 words to review any business that they list. This is ridiculous!. Yet T.A. has no place on its website to place comments about itself. I was going to give a detailed but succinct review on the outstanding Tambopata Research Center on the Amazon in Peru.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Reserved 3 events with TripAdvisor (Viator). Cancellation policy is stated as 24 h. Called them 25 hours and 28 hours before the two events to cancel. They would not accept the cancellations and issue a refund, claiming I was outside the 24 h cancellation period. After much back and forth, incredulous that they could not read a clock and wondering what planet they were on, I gave up. I was so stunned that they could not understand that Monday at 10:00 was 25 hours before Tuesday at 11:00, I took a picture of my phone 'Recents' to prove that I called them at that particular time. Took it to Visa, who took it up with Viator (TripAdvisor) and they STILL claim it is outside the 24 h window. Moral of the story.... don't trust the Viator policy. If you deal with them (which I will never do again), and you need to cancel something, be prepared to do it a week ahead and record the conversation. These people cannot be trusted.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Spam calls - "Joe" has been calling me for months, I keep telling him I am not interested so he hangs up on me, then calls back a day or so later. I asked him today to remove my number but he hung up before I could tell him all of that. I am tired of him harassing me and using all my minutes on my phone. I have blocked the number every time but he just calls from another number! Please stop the calls or I will take it up with someone further up. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I am very disappointed!!! My phone was not shut off because I made every effort to call and confirm on Saturday. I also called on Sunday from Duomo Plaza- the meeting place- on Sunday when I could find no one or a bus. Their office was closed. There was no bus and no people in the area designated on my voucher. After I found their actual office the agent said the bus was down the street from the taxi area. I had no way on knowing this as it was not printed on voucher. I told her I DID not see any groups of people in the plaza. She said they were in a passage way. (It was Sunday so there were very few people in the place that early in the morning.) I have booked many tours through Viator over the last few years. I will now go on social media, TripAdvisor and any other available sites to let others know about your decision to deny me a refund. You have permanently lost my business. I do not appreciate your lack of understanding in this matter.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I booked a trip to Sun River through Vacasa. Vacasa sent me a confirmation# and total cost and total paid email. Later I received from TripAdvisor an email with a different confirmation # and a different total. TripAdvisor tacked on an additional $131.81 to my total that I had signed up for. I unfortunately did not see that email until I just received my Visa bill and saw the price was wrong. I have tried contacting TripAdvisor but there is no one that I can either talk or email to. I think they should refund my the $131.81. They slipped in their fee and I think it is really bad business.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I Googled 'Phoenix Hotels with Smoking Rooms' and got a TripAdvisor link for such saying '10 Best Smoking Hotels 2018 Phoenix'. NOT ONE OF THESE HOTELS has smoking rooms! I tried contacting TripAdvisor about this error, (in their advertising), to no avail. It's impossible to get ahold of these guys! I will never rely on TripAdvisor again! especially after reading all the problems people have written about here on ConsumerAffairs. There are just too many 'TRUST' issues to be overcome by TripAdvisor for me to have any confidence in them at all. Goodbye and Good Riddance TripAdvisor!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Do not use Tripadvisor if there is any chance that you will need to change or cancel your booking. Nobody answers the phone EVER. There is no one who will help you. You will not be able to get a refund or make a switch to your booking regardless of illness, injury etc. Your $ is lost! You are dealing with a website and their policy is not user friendly. I will never use Tripadvisor again. We are in Reykjavik and just lost our $400 in fees pays for an excursion we cannot take for health reasons. TripAdvisor did not answer our repeated phone calls. They have our money and our disclaimer so we are the losers. Use a travel agent you can call.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I will always use TripAdvisor for my bookings. Fast and easy. I have had no problems traveling to Asia and back several times. I love the reviews on TripAdvisor site, so much great information. If you are thinking of using another search engine, look at their reviews. I promise TripAdvisor is a lot better and they will continue to get better. I have read about their organization and it is solid.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I visited a business, Wild Child Gallery, in Matlacha, Florida on April of 2018. Both my friend and I have written multiple negative reviews, from our separate accounts, and TripAdvisor never publishes them. We write our reviews at least once a month, changing the wordings but still giving the terrible review Wild Child Gallery deserves.

Our treatment by the staff at Wild Child Gallery was so terrible we cannot we over it and want to tell others, especially in a town packed with great and friendly people. In TripAdvisor the business has 33 excellent reviews!!! In other sites like Yelp, for example, the same Wild Child Gallery, in Matlacha, Florida has multiple terrible reviews with many people that experienced the same rude treatment we received. TripAdvisor is not a reliable source. The same business with poor to terrible reviews everywhere else is excellent there? Why? Does TripAdvisor accept payments from bad businesses like Wild Child Gallery to delete negative reviews? It is definitely biased.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I have been forced to cancel a booking. I am very unhappy with the service from TripAdvisor. Very heavy handed and money grabbing. Responses to many emails from many different customer service representatives range from non-committal to the latest adversarial one. I booked a villa in Sanur based on good TripAdvisor reviews only to see reviews change from very good to very bad. I attempted to obtain a refund from TripAdvisor. Over many weeks they have cited the cancellation policy over and over again. They took my money based on their posted reviews and when the reviews became unacceptable to me they refuse to refund my money. Never again will I use this booking site.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I never called TripAdvisor about any trips ever, yet they are hounding me by phone! I get a call once a day, automated, from such and such with TripAdvisor. I hang up, block the call and voila! They call me from another number.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

TripAdvisor allows non-vetted booking companies take your money for hotel and resort stays without making sure that money gets paid to the resort. We prepaid for our stay at a resort in the Dominican Republic through TA booking consolidator who sent us a bogus prepaid voucher. The hotel did not accept it, said they never received payment and forced us to repay the entire hotel stay again or they wouldn’t allow us to leave the property!! We spent over two hours at the front desk being treated like criminals at the resort (Excellence Punta Cana), missed our flight and are now stuck in the Dominican Republic with no way to get home. We had to pay the already paid hotel bill again just to be released from the property. DO NOT book anything thru TripAdvisor. They are unable to help you or do anything when one of their non vetted booking partners steals your money.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I made a hotel booking for three nights in Budapest in June 2018 through TripAdvisor. The hotel was selected based on its proximity to the train station. The booking went through and came back with a confirmation number. Obviously the full amount was charged. Everything looked fine at this point. After a long train ride and late in the evening, I arrived at the hotel to check in and was told that I needed to go another hotel nearby at my expenses. After a few minutes of discussion they decided to call a taxi for me but the nearby hotel was far away (30 minutes by taxi) and the hotel quality was awful though they claimed of the same level. Now I am back home and reported this to TripAdvisor and they replied saying this is a common practice: a confirmed booking doesn't mean actually confirmed (my interpretation). To my fellow travelers, just be careful when making bookings online.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I recently booked 40 acre Rustic Luxury Private Hideaway - Newly renovated. Listed Nov 2017 at Yosemite National Park from TripAdvisor. They offer a Payment Protection Plan if you book and pay through their website. The protection is stated to kick in if you cannot access the property. We could not go to this rental because of the Ferguson Fire. The retreat was in an evacuation advisory zone, roads were closed, and air quality alerts were issued. We asked for a refund, as we were already across the country, and would need to book and pay for hotel rooms to accommodate my family for the three days we couldn’t access the retreat. TripAdvisor was powerless to help us negotiate even a partial refund. According to them, it was all up to the owner. I fail to see what the Payment Protection Plan means if it couldn’t help us in this situation.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I booked what I thought was a hotel in FL through TripAdvisor. I received a text giving me a confirmation number and a TripAdvisor web address to check on the booking. When I put the info into TripAdvisor it told me booking not found. I researched for a couple of weeks and finally figure out that it was handled by a 3rd or 4th party, and truly had nothing to do with Trip Advisor! I was charged the full amount (for the entire vacation that is 7 months away) on my credit card, the name on the statement was nothing recognizable.

I panicked, made a bunch of phone calls and was finally able to find the actual company that booked the vacation. I called 3 companies (that I was directed to) before I found the one that actually was involved. They told me they'd refund me everything but $170. After much arguing, I got them to refund the entire amount. I will never again use TripAdvisor website for anything. I don't think it's a good way to do business. I don't want my credit card info floating around in cyberspace. I feel it seemed very shady.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Unfortunately I had a very bad experience with this company. I booked a trip to Florence Italy. My spouse broke his ankle, and was put into a cast after surgery. His surgeon said stay off foot for 8-10 weeks. We had to cancel our trip. I texted the proprietor and canceled. What I didn’t know at the time, that wasn’t enough to cancel the trip. They automatically deducted the full payment. I then canceled again on TripAdvisor. Now I’ll get back only one quarter of my total payment. Pay attention to the small print! Will not be using TripAdvisor in the future.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I checked in on Friday, was given a room with one pillow and no linens. I went to the office for these items, was told they didn't have any. I returned to my room and the door wouldn't lock. The woman at the desk told me, "Sometimes you have to jiggle the handle and lift it up." I refused. She gave us another room, no air conditioning. No linens. No pillows. I had 3 rooms reserved for 2 nights. We had a total of 15 people with reservations. The rooms were filthy, candy wrappers were behind a curtain, the bed skirt had some unidentifiable crud on it. There were mouse traps in one of the rooms. The soap in the bathroom was used, there was hair all over the bathroom, in the tub and on the floor. We had no shower curtain. I offered to hang it myself, but they didn't have one.

We had no linens/blankets. All 3 rooms had a pull out bed, no linens provided. Our room had 1 pillow. We had 7 pillows for 15 people. I asked for more pillows. Was told they didn't have any. The woman offered to let me go in another room and take pillows from there. My nephew rolled up a hoodie and slept on that. The air conditioning only worked in 1 room. 2 rooms did not have coffee makers. The one room with a coffee maker had a bug in the pot, no coffee filters. We had no towels. We asked for more and we were told they didn't have any. Breakfast buffet empty at 9:00. No plates and no coffee. The woman working breakfast was just sitting at a table.

Front desk staff rude, hung up on us when we called them. Would not escalate our issues to manager. Pool was closed because 'it might rain.' Pool was supposed to be heated, it was not. Kitchen area empty. Few if any dishes, no dish soap. Wi-fi awful. Couldn't keep a signal. The grounds are overgrown with far a few everywhere. We went to the office Saturday to resolve some issues, we were told everything would be fixed while we were out. We would have left, But they said they would fix everything. When we came back, nothing was changed. It was too late to go anywhere else. I filed a complaint with the BBB, manager said everything was exaggerated.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I booked ghost tour tickets for 4 in Asheville, NC and immediately thereafter realized I had a conflict and requested a cancellation. Also when I received a confirmation text I responded asking for cancellation. This was all greater than 24 hour notice as they require. My debit card was still charged and they are refusing a refund. Will not use this company again.

Original review: July 25, 2018

TripAdvisor is an awesome site to look at places (hotels, restaurants, etc) that you may be vacationing to or even in your own town. When being a TripAdvisor reviewer you receive discounts on many things as well.

Original review: July 25, 2018

TripAdvisor is easy to use, good comparisons & explains things well - easy to access & book - have had really good experiences with them.

Original review: July 25, 2018

They did not mention that when we booked our hotel in Mexico we could not bring our friends that have a condo there up to our room. Big disappointment!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I actually use TripAdvisor FlipKey to rent out some of our timeshares. It has been ok. I don't like being able to communicate to our renters until they pay in full, though. We can only email them on TripAdvisor's site.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Overcharged me. Had a duplicate booking which hotel said no problem. Cancel one. Site would not return my extra payment. Bogus. Do not use this site.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have used this site over several years to find things to see in far off and places close to home. I have been pleased. They have customers that rate and give reviews and pictures of their own experiences. I have utilized these and have had great trips and seen places I might have missed if it hadn't been listed!

TripAdvisor.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs