TripAdvisor

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We traveled to Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras, Central America, during early November, 2016. We spent 10-nights in a house that had rats defecating all over outdoor furniture nightly and sometimes during the day. Ants invaded the kitchen at night. Worse yet, a local "caretaker" is allowed to live in one of two units for rent and in our case the "lower unit" was vacated by a very nice couple who departed a few days after we arrived, and to note we got along just fine with them, the rats and the ants. A much larger and intolerable pest showed up. Manu, a Roatan local that sells taxi/tour services arrived.

Long story short our minor problems at that house were altered for the worse. Manu is also a local pimp and traffics a young girl who stays with him. Safety lights, that were installed for obvious reasons, on the flight of stairs to the upper unit were disabled and when I inquired with Manu about these lights he told me flatly and unabashedly to, "Just use the patio light, you don't need the stair lights." Wrong answer.

We contacted the rental agency regarding the safety lights and the lies and harassment from that point on was absolutely horrid. We witnessed an agency maintenance man arrive two days later, argue with Manu, slammed the front door and ripped two 8' long tire ruts into lawn adjacent to the driveway as he departed the property (our car was parked behind Manu's van because he never left the property for 7-days/nights and we watched this a number of times, made his prostitute walk to the main road about 1/2 mile away over rugged, muddy terrain, and the maintenance guy had to park on the grass next to our car.

The next day after the lights were restored two of our devices were bumped off the router and Manu began arming and disarming a networked alarm system that makes loud audible noises that woke us at 3 am, so we stuffed a pillow over that nuisance. We didn't much care about the internet issue on two of our devices because we also had a laptop that logged on to the router just fine after the fact because Manu was unaware of it. He never saw it logged into the network, just our cell phones. We complained once and saw the "light debacle" go down and the ensuing retaliation from Manu. We were not about to complain again and wonder what else that jerk would do and say behind our back. We watched Manu throw his trash on the ground next to the trash can and he laid around all day watching TV and did absolutely nothing for the entire 7-days/nights we endured his ridiculous nonsense.

We subsequently tried to convey our issues with the rental agency (RoatanLifeVacationRentals) and we were treated very poorly and have lately learned of all the fabrications leveled at us. We contacted the owners who were not in the country at the time (home in Dallas/Ft Worth) and they refuse to answer or reply to our calls, emails and personal messages. We never once asked for any compensation nor threatened anyone with any coercive postings, but we have had a very difficult time with TripAdvisor refusing to allow our review of this rental. We are quite taken aback by what TripAdvisor allows within review content that is of a positive nature, yet if a traveler has an unfortunate experience and wishes to detail this in review, TripAdvisor continuously denies the negative review, no matter how benign and unmalicious the review is.

As a last recourse we have decided to take our issue to other entities that may or may not be able to assist us in our endeavor to relate our horrible experience to unwary travelers who do not deserve to pay thousands of dollars to be treated poorly and labeled liars for their troubles. This is unbelievable as we have never before been confronted with such a dispute and disregarded as we have. Our VRBO (short term house/condo rentals) record is impeccable and we are at a quandary as to how to convey our truthful experience to others without being called liars and blackmailers by the agency or owner who seem to have unfettered access to make up lies about guests. An example... The living room furniture isn't even close to what is being advertised in their listing. However the list of issues with that rental was endless for us. The furniture was the least of our problems and no one cares. Help??

I gave my credit card data as required to book a home in Malibu. I was supposed to be contacted by the owner within 24 hours to CONFIRM the booking.
Instead I got an email thru the TripAdvisor system supposedly from the wife of the owner claiming she's in the Philippines and her husband is handling the response. I am now to contact the website listed on photo #12. The website is "down" for repairs and now I am to contact him at same website subbing "contact".

Smells like a FRAUD to me so I contact my bank which says no charge yet and I cannot void it until they try to enact the charge.

I attempt to contact TripAdvisor to let them know this is most likely a PHONY vacation listing and it is IMPOSSIBLE to contact them. Wow. Glad I am pulling out now. I own 3 vacation homes to let myself and know this is NOT how I operate with potential clients. I will never use TripAdvisor again. Waste of time and almost a loss of a lot of money. Despicable business. BEWARE!

I rented a house in Montaren-et-Saint Médier, France in September-October 2016 on the TripAdvisor website. The house was not at all as shown on the TA website. It was dirty, unmaintained, and uninhabitable. We were greeted by dirty linens piled in front of the washing machine, dirty dishes in the sink, half eaten food in the refrigerator and freezer, no shower head in the bathroom, dirty toilet, yard infested by ants with ant hills every foot, etc. We had to leave and get an hotel room immediately. TA contracts its vacation rentals in France to Holiday Lettings.

I contacted them immediately and began a long process of trying to get our money back. During the time we were in France, French national television aired a program about this type of scam which showed a Holiday Lettings contract exactly like my contract! TripAdvisor and their contractor Holiday Lettings assert that they have a protection policy, but in the end they take no financial responsibility because they do not verify their listings, as they will tell you after a lot of stalling and time taken with phone calls and emails with a customer service representative.

They are only concerned with taking their cut of the price. Because there is no verification of properties and no financial responsibility for their listings, TripAdvisor and Holiday Lettings enable and facilitate fraud and the customer is left holding the bag in my opinion. I will never use them again and will continue to check to see if a class action lawsuit against TripAdvisor and Holiday Lettings is filed in the future.

I booked accommodation for 10 nights over the 2016 Xmas period at Villa Cloud Nine in Seminyak in Bali in February 2016 through TripAdvisor and I paid the 50% deposit in US dollars. I paid the balance of the rental fee at end of October 2016 and within two days of making the final payment the owner contacted me to advise that our accommodation booking had been cancelled because of planned maintenance works. In total I paid US$4,587.33 to TripAdvisor which cost me AUD$6,278.37.

In addition, I paid a further AUD$188.35 in bank fees giving a total cost of AUD$6,466.72. TripAdvisor refunded me the US$4,587.33 at current exchange rates which amounted to only AUD$5,984.40. So the end result is that the owner cancelled my booking and I am "out of pocket" AUD$482.32. I now have to find alternative accommodation in Bali only 5 weeks ago from our travelling date, with limited options available at exorbitant prices. It is wrong that I should be financially disadvantaged when the owner cancelled my booking.

I am not sure if the owner has been truthful about maintenance works being done during the peak rental period and I suspect that the owner has cancelled my booking so that they can take an alternative booking at a much higher rental fee. In fact, TripAdvisor told me the reason for the cancellation was a double booking and not maintenance works. TripAdvisor has turned a blind eye to the matter and appear to be not interested in finding out the truth behind the cancellation even thought it has cost me almost AUD$500.

I have given 1 star rating only because I can't give minus star rating. I own a hotel and a restaurant. About a year ago I have subscribed to TripAdvisor business advertising. Well it looked like a good idea since they have majority hotels on their website. In the last 12 months I have receive no help nor booking, so I have decided to cancel my subscription. Since the cancellation I get only bad reviews published on our listing and as I have been advised by some of my customers they have written positive reviews, however their reviews do not get posted by TripAdvisor.

TripAdvisor will not remove bad reviews written by my competitors even when the reviews are not correct - specifying wrong cuisine, wrong description of the restaurant deco, etc. One cannot speak to a person in TripAdvisor and can only communicate via email. Recently I have received an integrity email from TripAdvisor saying that due to abnormal activities on my property's TripAdvisor listing I might be penalized with a lower ratings. We have not received any property reviews for two months now, so we cannot understand what do they mean by abnormal activity and they could not be bother by giving any explanations. TripAdvisor is highly dishonest company and they should be removed from the webpages.They do disservice to the hospitality business and their guests.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

We rented a vacation home in Florida and was told our security deposit will be returned 10 days after move out, which was October 18th. As of today no security deposit had been returned to us. We are not able to speak to anyone, just email. They just send us emails saying the refund was released on October 18th. We were forced to send our statement to show we didn't receive the refund. The runaround is incredible and frustrating.

I was having problems with TripAdvisor's customer service. Because of this I looked up reviews of this company and found terrible ratings and I couldn't agree more. I will definitely stay away from this company in the future. I had a problem booking through them, apparently a software issue on their side, so I was not able to put the correct number traveling. We called and they said not to worry about it as the number traveling was under the occupancy limit. The owner of the property contacted us to confirm the travel number. He was also aware of the software issue concerning the occupancy levels. We had to cancel that booking due to a fire code. Although TripAdvisor admitted the problem to the property owner, TripAdvisor still wanted to keep 189 dollars as a channelization fee.

The owner of the property even argued in my favor in a conference call with them. They would not relent. The owner of the property went above and beyond to help us out to get us into a property so I would not have to pay the 189 dollars. TripAdvisor was no help. You could not talk to the same person twice, when someone agreed with you, you never heard back from that person. It is very hard to get anyone to transfer you to a supervisor. I will be spreading the word as much as I can for people to beware of this company. This is my first review on any business, that is how mad they made me. I also talked to the property owner about using a different site for his properties. I hope he does. In the grand skim 189 dollars is not a lot of money, but it is more the point of the whole issue.

Have an old apartment? Want to fix it up quick and for free? Here's a great solution: join TripAdvisor as a property renter. Don't worry if your apartment is located in funky district. You can just change your address. List it in a nicer location than it really is on the TripAdvisor map. And raise the price! Then go fishing. After your catch pays you the full amount of the rental, email them the real address. The poor, naive traveler will make a lot of noise, claim this and that, but just talk to them a little bit. Then ignore them. Next, they'll probably go to TripAdvisor to complain to Customer Service. And guess what? TripAdvisor will support you because apartment owners are their prime customers. The traveler is the milk cow.

Now you got your money, but is that it? No, there's more. Don't forget to attach the high price tag and high security deposit as well. That will be important later. When your renter is ready to check out, do your walk-through and find something wrong. Find anything, even common items. You can find something! Okay, a few hints: A simple adjustment to the balcony door hinge, you could call a "broken glass door." The word "broken" gets you the award. Or if you find forgotten sock in your laundry machine, call it a "badly damaged" appliance. The variations are endless. Just emphasize destruction.

Send TripAdvisor all your claims, and get the whole security deposit in your own pocket. Why give that back? Guests will try anything to prove you're guilty, like recording everything on audio tape. No worries, TripAdvisor doesn't listen to that stuff. They'll reward you. But if you're not satisfied and want more cash, no problem. When your guests are ready to go to the airport, bring three people to the checkout process, be strong and argumentative. It works even better when your guests are two foreign women because they won't have a clue what's going on. Argue in your native language and get mad among yourselves. Be a strong management group (not less than 3 persons) and ask for cash right there on a spot. Hah, that can be quite intimidating! Now you know how to fix any property fast and for free! JOIN TRIPADVISOR!

P.S. This little story is based on real events that happened in October 2016 in Milan via Bramante, all arranged and negotiated courtesy of TripAdvisor. Such a brilliant business plan -- funding the remodel industry while lining pockets. Farewell TripAdvisor, good luck with your apartment remodel venture. We were your milk cow just once.

I have been a strong supporter of this company since its inception. I have written an incredible amount of reviews, which I hoped would be honestly analyzed. Something has occurred to corrupt this company, and I don't have enough space to itemize my complaints. I am not supporting this group online or to friends and family as I had been doing previously. Done.

I have rented properties and have never had such a bad experience. I have NEVER had a company so difficult to deal with. They outsource all of their call centers and you can't understand anyone. I've had so many questions go unanswered and I've even tried canceling my listings, but no one calls me back. They barely speak English. If you have a problem with a rental, you will have to fight and fight to try to get your money back. All they seem to care about is whatever money they're making from the owner or renter. They do not seem to care at all about the customers to the site. STAY AWAY FROM TRIPADVISOR!!!

I had a serious situation while staying at the Super 8 Motel Stillwater, MN. I wrote a review. BCA contacted shortly after, "I didn't contact them." It got handed to BCA through TripAdvisor. "Another story there, WOW." I had NO CLUE what I was about to step into with TripAdvisor & BCA. I was assigned Linda **, VP of Consumer Relations. We communicated via phone & e-mail. This went on for a few months. I explained how I along with my dog a Australian Terrier, were held HOSTAGE for 12 hrs by the Stillwater, MN Cops (Washington County). I explained "not everything at first" Abuse Of Power, Illegal Termination, Threats, etc, by the cops. No charges were ever brought or warranted on me.

Ms. ** explained how their ORGANIZATION OPERATES and what they're going to do for me. As I explained she was in disbelief, awe, & appalled. She explained their Team of Attorneys, what to expect, when, why & how. I believed in her. Wish I could say that's it and that this is a positive good review, HOWEVER, I can't. Instead of looking out for me "THE CONSUMER" she was TOTALLY looking out for the business and others involved, the ones that pay her/their bills.

After her cunning way of getting ALL my Information, we waited for the two weeks response time limit for all involved. No response was submitted to the BCA. I contacted her and said "time to get out your Attorneys, as you mentioned." She e-mailed me back stating: "I suggest you contact your local Legal Aid Advocacy Office. Good luck, Linda." I tried contacting her. NO RESPONSE TO THIS DAY. SHE AND HER COMPANY SOLD ME OUT!! Made a FOOL OUT OF ME.

Arrived at Sago Hotel in NYC and was asked to pay for two rooms when we ordered one through Tripadvisor. The hotel said they would refund the other room on Monday when the manager returned. She refunded half. Tripadvisor customer service took the complaint but did not respond.

I received a one star review from a person who was upset with our business policies! They never made a reservation or spent one night at our hotel, but complained about being inconvenienced by our reservation policies! We are a four star bed and breakfast and constantly receive four or five star reviews! When I complained to TripAdvisor about the review, they told me there wasn't anything they could do about the bogus review! What kind of people do they have making these decisions? It didn't surprise me when I see that TripAdvisor receives all one star reviews! They actually don't deserve any stars!

Through TripAdvisor, we booked Camilas casa en zona patrimonial UNESCO in Valparaiso, Chile, for 9/1-2/16. On 9/1, we spent 1.5 hours navigating Valparaiso's one-way hills searching for the place because its listed address (2-451 Urriola) was confusing. We had to climb two flights of stone steps, with our luggage. The apartment smelled of mold throughout. There was a square-meter hole in the flooring right in front of the bathroom, barely covered by boards and carpet remnants. None of those conditions had been mentioned in the ad for the apartment.

My wife got very upset about the prospect of staying there for two nights, and burst into tears. Camila seemed simpatica, kindly helped us book a hotel room in Via del Mar, and said she'd cancel our reservation (which she never did, according to TripAdvisor) and refund our money. When we sought a refund through TripAdvisor, after getting home (9/9), for weeks Camila denied having received any of the $172.80 rent we had paid in advance. (TripAdvisor had, in fact, paid her $155.20 on 9/2/16.)

Then her attitude hardened. She called my wife a super crying old woman, criticized us for not liking Valparaiso's hills, claimed the apartment's odor emanated from adobe mud, and demanded we apologize for crying and cursing her city and her house. She wrote, "I hated your attitude: I have everything in my power like USA people I don't care about your complaints. You are a tourist, not a traveler. I'm happy that people like you hate my city."

I tried to obtain a refund through TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor's website offers no email address or 800 phone number to contact. It took me hours of searching to find my way to its cancellation/refund policies. Finally I was able to download its 4-page Payment Protection Policy Claim Form, which requires much information not relevant to my refund claim, and must be "completed [with] associated documentation within 14 days of the start of your scheduled stay." (That would not have been possible, as I got home more than 14 days after 9/1.) I did email all of the facts set forth above to TripAdvisor's "payment protection team." Every time I contacted TripAdvisor, I asked that they instruct Camila to refund my $155.20; Camila had written me that she would do so, if TripAdvisor told her to. TripAdvisor did essentially nothing to compel this listing landlady to comply with its policies.

NO! NO! NO! NO to Pinecone Cottage at Joy Lodging in Eureka Springs AR. When we arrived to check in the air conditioner did not work correctly, we like it fairly cool. Owner said she would give our money back. We went elsewhere. 5 weeks later still no refund. She actually rented the cabin to someone else for 2 of the 4 nights that we paid for so we should at least get that refunded plus tax plus pet fee still nothing. DO NOT STAY HERE! (TripAdvisor refused to refund my money because the listing for the cabin does not mention air conditioning??? So, since the listing does not mention heat or hot water or non-leaking roof or absence of rats I assume that would not be covered either. Love TripAdvisor listing and will continue to rate and use their listing BUT, will NEVER book through them again.)

I am totally unhappy with Tripadvisor and their merchants. I would never book with them and never advise anyone to book with them either. I booked a trip and an emergency aroused which was life or death for myself and my unborn child and instead of reimbursing me my money I was still charged. After speaking with them and the merchant numerous times I did not get anywhere and therefore to keep me and my baby safe I did not go on the trip but was in loss of over $700. I would never ever recommend them and something should be done to close them as a business as I seen this has been done numerous times to many other people.

Property owners beware of Tripadvisor's holiday rentals agency. I had listed my property to the site and hosted a guest. I expected to get paid from holiday lettings. They claimed they paid and sent me a transaction receipt. I sent them back my account screenshot showing NO credit from their agency. My bank couldn't do anything since it concerned the bank of Americas. They kept on sending the same automated messages that the money was released from their side, and they can't do anything further. And after I called them about 10 times and spend about 200e in overseas calls, again they refused to check or help out with this. They are totally unprofessional and amateur, that is why their agency is not doing well anyways. I lost about 700e with this incident. They are outrageous. If anyone can help please do!

I need to rent a house in New England at Thanksgiving time. I found a house that would accommodate us. It had four bedrooms, was near our relatives and a plus it was close to the beach. I requested to rent it. The owner responded and said I could rent it but they wanted us to know there was no heat. Did we want to rent it anyways? I responded no, of course, we would need heat. I requested my deposit back and was refused a refund.

The woman I talked to Navia ** did not officially cancel the reservation. The reservation won't let me independently cancel it. This is ridiculous. If you do not have heat in a house in New England, why is it being rented out during the fall/winter. This is a scam. If it is snowing, it will be too cold for us to stay at the location. It was a 24-hour period from the time I made the request to finding out there was no heat in the building. We have a baby. We can't stay in a house that is without heat. NEVER USE FLIPKEY, INC. by TripAdvisor. NEVER EVER USE IT. THEY STOLE MY MONEY.

FlipKey division Of TripAdvisor. Found a house to rent in Ireland. Paid through FlipKey to take advantage of Payment Protection Plan. House had mold. Immediately after returning to U.S., contacted Flipkey to make claim under Payment Protection Plan. Totally blown off because complaint not made while still in Ireland. What a joke. Protection Plan never even suggested this needed to be done. This company has a 99% disapproval rating on BBB site. Bag TripAdvisor and FlipKey. Totally dishonest.

On July 18, 2016 I booked a hotel through TripAdvisor to stay at the Rodeway Inn in Chincoteague, VA. I was thrilled to get a room short notice (4 days in advance) during a popular weekend so, even though I'd never used TripAdvisor to book accommodations before and they wanted me to pay in full ($663.00), I went ahead with it. Shortly after my payment I received a payment confirmation email from a company called CancelOn (www.cancelon.com) with a receipt number AND an order id number. Then I got an email from TripAdvisor saying: Your reservation is confirmed. Your hotel reservation at Rodeway Inn is confirmed. Everything looked official, so I figured I was all set and the room was secured. I started packing.

Then, a day later an email comes in from CancelOn with the header "Your Input Needed"... which I figured was some sort of a satisfaction survey because of the way it was worded so I didn't open it right away because I was so busy tying up loose ends for the trip. When I opened the email it said the hotel I thought I'd secured a room at was "FULLY BOOKED on the required dates" and "We tried to find other rooms in the hotel, but unfortunately there are no rooms available. We are very sorry for the inconvenience."

Seriously?!! I was supposed to leave in the morning to drive to Virginia, so I called CancelOn. I was told by a man named "William" they couldn't do anything about it but they would try to find me another room on the island. This was clearly a very long distance call to another country, based on the connection and the accent, so I had my doubts they would find me a room on a tiny island in Virginia on short notice. I said, "No thank you, I'll take my money back and somehow find something when I arrive." Guess what? They told me it would be 2-3 DAYS before I'd see my $663!!! That's pretty much all I had, how was I supposed to get a room now?! They had no solution for me, citing the bank handles it and it is out of their hands.

My only hope was to let them try to get me a room. I asked when they would get back to me and they would not give me any idea. The man just kept saying, "give me time" and wouldn't specify how much. Meanwhile, I needed to get up early to start driving in the morning. So I called TripAdvisor and relayed the whole story. They feigned regret and seemed like they were going to be helpful by calling CancelOn with me on the line. I thought they would handle it but NO — they basically got a manager (a man named "Steve") and turned it over to ME! Steve already knew my story and offered no additional info except that the refund would be more like 3-10 days, which was even worse! Then he SCOLDED ME for not opening their "Your Input Needed" email more promptly!

At no time did the woman at TripAdvisor break in to try and resolve anything or even defend me, her customer. They never did find me a room of course, and I couldn't wait because I had to start driving to my destination. I had to borrow money to cover costs until my refund came from them. I am horrified at the deceitful, unorganized, un-businesslike manner with which this whole transaction was handled.

I just experienced the TripAdvisor booking system as an holiday rental owner for the first time. A guest tried to book my holiday property and I replied to them via the TripAdvisor messaging system several times. The guest clearly did not get any of my messages as they then sent a second booking request asking me to contact them!! As TripAdvisor don't provide the guests details (until after they're paid for the ENTIRE booking, not just the deposit!), I kept sending messages via their system, some with my contact details so the guest could reach me directly. These were blocked by TripAdvisor (contact details not permitted).

Meanwhile, I got emailed SEVERAL TIMES and even called (an international call!) by TripAdvisor urging me to accept the booking. But I couldn't just accept it without getting some info from the guest first. It was crucial I got the guest to confirm the nature of their booking before I could accept it, as the dates they requested were during the infamous "schoolies" week (where high school leavers often rent properties and host parties); I have a strict "no student groups" rule and had no idea if the booking was for students or not. Since I was unable to confirm this I had no choice but to decline the booking.

TripAdvisor are aggressive and pushy, and want to maximize the (exorbitant!) fees they charge guests by getting holiday property owners to accept all and any booking they receive, and clearly discourage any communication between the two. Airbnb isn't perfect but it is genius compared to TripAdvisor. I would recommend to any property owner to avoid listing your property on TripAdvisor.

The rejection, and inability to communicate directly with yourselves, unlike Booking.com is abysmal. Please check our website ** which you have rejected. Your assessment of a business application needs drastically reviewing. I do not feel I will receive a reply/response but I feel insulted that you have taken this approach. No explanation whatsoever has been given.

I have long suspected Tripadvisor artificially inflates reviews and ratings. When I left a comprehensive review about a resort in Cabo that was itemized to include things that were Good, Just OK, and Bad, I never saw my review pop-up. I re-submitted it, only to have the same thing happen again. It was nowhere to be found. I emailed for an explanation and was told that some of my statements violated their content policy (which is both vague and restrictive, especially against anything that might be deemed "negative"). Now, it was not like I used expletives or had my negative comments drenched in hyperbole, I simply stated what was bad about my family's experience at this resort. So, it would seem the Tripadvisor manufactures better ratings and reviews for businesses on their site by having a restrictive content policy and removing any reviews deemed, perhaps, too honest?

Well this past July, I basically got scammed by one of your sellers. I was looking for a condo at Myrtle Beach to sleep 16 guests. I came across a advertisement that said beachfront condos that sleep 8 guests. So I contacted the property owner and reserved 2 condos. Of course payment was due before arrival, so I paid maybe a week upon arrival. A few days before arrival, I was informed by the property owner that the 2 condos weren't at the same resort. I said it was no problem as long as both rooms slept 8 guests each and I was assured they did.

When we arrived at the 1st resort, I go in to inspect. I go into the bathroom 1st and notice it's water all over the floor, I walk over to the toilet and I see the toilet is overflowing. I call the property owner, he doesn't answer and his vm is full. So I tell the front desk and they tell me they can't help bc the property is privately owned. I continue to inspect while emailing and texting the owner. Next I notice there's only 2 beds and a pullout couch (only sleeping room for 6 not 8) so I go to the next resort. This condo only had 2 beds (only sleeping room for 4) and no kitchenette. At this point I'm pissed and I call again. Still no answer, so of course I text/email.

Much later the property manager calls and says both rooms sleep 8 guests and to turn the water off to the toilet and maintenance will be there shortly. I expressed to him how many beds were in the rooms and how there were 6 people that had nowhere to sleep. The property owner stated he would find us another condo. I said ok. The maintenance person never showed and I kept trying to call the property owner. Finally he calls back late afternoon and says he's found a room that sleeps 8 guests but wants to be paid $200 more, I ask him why would he ask for more money if we paid for an 8 guests condo but got a 6 guest and a 4 guest condo? He doesn't reply to my question, he just says "sorry for the inconvenience" and "maintenance should be there shortly".

I told the seller we were checking out and wanted the $ back for the condo where there was a toilet issue and I then called PayPal to start the refund process. Long story short, the seller wanted us to stay but the toilet never was fixed and we had to use the resort main restroom which was located on the 1st floor and we were on the 7th.

After 2 days of going back and forth in text, emails and calls I had experienced enough. So I let him know how much of a inconvenience having guest sleep on the floor and to go down 7 floors go use the restroom really was. This time the owner responded right back. He said he would get maintenance to come again but I would have to pay $75 (I was surprised bc to my knowledge maintenance never came, the resort cleaned the restroom bc I told them the water would eventually damage the room under us, but I didn't say anything). I told him I wasn't going to pay for an issue that was brought to his attention at check in, then he tries to tell me how to go about fixing the toilet. He then calls and tells me he will be there in 30 to 45 minutes, but doesn't get there until 3 hours later.

When he arrives I'm not there but the other guests are, they watch him fix the toilet and when I arrive he's standing outside the room wanting to be paid. We go back and forth bc I had told him before that I wasn't paying for someone else's mess. I go back into the condo and one of the guests ask what we're arguing about and I tell her he wants $75, she takes $20 and says "give him this so he can leave" and I did and he soon left. To me this was very inconsiderate and unprofessional. A few days later I called PayPal back and I was notified that the rep didn't note everything. The only notes that were made were about the toilet issue, so I asked for the complaints to be joined together. I was told I would have to restart the process so I said ok. This time I was told the issue of false advertisement was being entered. So I send copies of text/emails to verify my story and a few days later I get an email stating I couldn't be given a refund.

At this point I'm furious bc I find out that the false advertisement and the toilet issue was never put together, they were done as 2 separate complaints, so I had to do an appeal. Then I was told to reach out to my bank, Flipkey and TripAdvisor. I feel like I have been given the runaround bc each company has told me to call another company. I have always had such great thoughts about Flipkey/TripAdvisor, but right now I'm not so sure. Whether or not I contacted TripAdvisor/Flipkey within 24 hours of check in or not, something should have been done, other than calling the seller and asking does he want to give a refund. I really feel as if a refund should have been granted due to the texts\emails\pictures that I provided. This was clearly a scam of false advertisement and it was a huge inconvenience for my family and I.

I have received emails from Kunal ** and Rupika **. I have also spoken to several of your reps Omkar, and Rohan to name a few. I was told that there was no such thing as a corporate phone number or email address, I was told the owner was called several times. Then when they reached him they asked did he wanted to give a refund. Meanwhile, I was called once and I was unable to answer and was never called again. Why is this? Why can't this be handled better? Meaning, call the seller, state that there is evidence that proves he has scammed/false advertised someone, then ask how much he is willing to refund in order to remain in good standing with your company and I.

I have been in the customer service field for over 11 years and whether polices or procedures were followed by the customer or not, when this type of situation would have been brought to anyone's attention the customer wouldn't have been turned away furious and exhausted as I have. This entire situation has been a very unprofessional, unmoral, long drawn out process and I'm hoping someone of higher authority can reach out to me and do something other than tell me they understand but it's the seller's choice if I get some money back.

I booked and paid for accommodation in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh) city a 2 bedroom apt through TripAdvisor. Upon arrival on the 24/8 after walking the streets with our luggage for 4 hours, trying to find someone who could help us make contact with the apt owner Johny ** booking number #: **. Who would not answer his phone or TripAdvisor inbox msgs so we could get the keys we finally stumbled upon his letting agent in a real estate office. She told us in the very little English she spoke that Johny ** was her client so she proceeded to try to make contact with him. After several phone calls (I am not sure to whom, as she spoke in VIETNAMESE) and another 2 hrs later she took us to what we believe was Johny **'s home address where we stood and knocked on the door for over 20 mins. No one came to the door.

It was at this point we realised that we were probably not going to be able to contact him to get the keys so she arranged for us to stay at a hotel close by. She gave us her business card and we exchanged ph numbers and she said she would continue trying to contact him. At this stage I thought "Well she's his letting agent so I'm sure she'll sort it out and have my money refunded within a day or 2." We did not hear from her again. We ended up just finding other accommodation after spending 2 days at the hotel she had found us waiting to hear from either her or Johny **. AS THIS WAS MY 1ST TIME booking through TripAdvisor or any holiday for that matter, I was not aware of the hidden 24HR clause in their fine print stating that should there be a problem you must notify them within 24hrs upon arrival or they hand your money over and that's the end of their responsibilities on booking made with them.

I explained that I was unaware of the 24 hr clause and that I was under the impression that because we had found his leasing agent that it would probably be sorted out in the next day or two and furthermore that I only had the address and ph num of the owner on me, that my ref and booking number was on my laptop that I had left in Australia so could not get access to to make a report anyway. I have sent numerous emails to the owner. Inboxed his account and continue to keep trying to ring him with no luck. I have also had and sent numerous emails to TripAdvisor informing them and all I get back from them is... "You'll have to contact the owner." They even sent him an email acknowledging my complaint to which they claim they have had no response.

Then tonight they send me an email offering the very same APT in question owned by Johny ** AS A POSSIBILITY for accommodation on my NEXT HOLIDAY... 8 days ago I wrote a review on TripAdvisor's page trying to warn others to steer clear of this listing explaining my situation which they refuse to this point to release... I think it's DISGUSTING that this person has not been removed and banned from ALL booking sites let alone have them RECOMMENDING this person to future travellers. My holiday was ruined and no one seems to care. I took some small consolation thinking "Oh well at least my payment's protected." How wrong was I. TripAdvisor have done nothing but fob me off.

Having been trying to receive a £50 damage deposit. Guests had a BBQ on the decking of my holiday cabin. This in itself is total madness. Why would you have a BBQ on wooden decking of a wooden cabin? Then they left the hot BBQ unattended!!! It then blew over and burnt 2 panels of the decking. I suppose I should count my blessings that they didn't burn down the whole property!!! The guests did not tell me about the damage until after they left. They seemed to have panicked and got the damage repaired in the cheapest way possible. The decking used is not to the same standard of the existing decking. It is not the same pattern and it is not the same colour, far from it. The decking has not been treated with the correct weatherproofing treatment. So all of this needs to be rectified.

I cannot claim on my insurance, as it will not cover the stupidity of having a fire/BBQ in such close proximity of a wooden structure, in this case on the wooden structure. I followed Holiday Lettings (TripAdvisor) procedures and sent them photos, a copy of a quote for the works, copies of emails between myself and the guests who admitted causing the damage and a copy of the invoice for the work being carried out. But they keep sending back an email saying the same thing asking for the same stuff over again and saying the invoice is not acceptable but not why.

Holiday Lettings (TripAdvisor) are happy to take their fees, but not to help you when you have a problem. They have no complaints procedure. Most of the emails are standard automated replies. They do not answer questions. I have been trying to find what exactly what they want from me, but I just get "we can't take into account the invoices you sent." The English in the emails is dreadful.

We tried to have our B&B listed for over 4 weeks and received all kinds of apologies, excuses, and promises about resolving their impossible process. It has never been resolved (we are not listed) and they don't seem to have rational explanation. We have emailed, called regularly, and tried to jump through all of their hoops without success. We've given up. They clearly do not really want new listings of our nature for some reason. Makes me question what else they do that's not trustworthy.

TripAdvisor allowed a one star review on my listing that is not about my company at all. But they have refused to remove. I am file suit against tripadvisor for slander. DO NOT BELIEVE THE REVIEWS ON TRIPADVISOR!

I have NEVER had a company so difficult to deal with, siding with the false advertising of a rental. I am so angry right now and feel like they've just stolen my money. The customer support doesn't care that photos on the listing do not accurately depict what's there. What one "support" person told me today was that the seller of the listing is getting "good reviews" and he didn't see a reason why I should have a problem.

This is AFTER I spoke with a manager who asked me to send photos, which I did 2 days ago. I'm still waiting for their "investigative team" to review the photos. Meanwhile they've got my money tied up. NEVER AGAIN will I use TripAdvisor. If you have a problem with a rental, you will have to fight and fight to try to get your money back. All they seem to care about is whatever money they're making from the seller. They do not seem to care at all about the customers to the site. STAY AWAY FROM TRIPADVISOR!!!

I am a timeshare owner who rents out my extra time. Yes, the phone number is a bit difficult to find. It's under help and pick an option then you can say, "need more help" and then it gives you the option to call 1-877-354-7539. I too had trouble with TripAdvisor. My first booking requested twice on a rental that was not available. I must have accidentally sent a quote and she paid it. I told her that it was not available and to cancel on her end. This was also her first time using TripAdvisor. They charged her a booking fee and would not refund it.

I called on her behalf and was able to get them to return the fee but they were going to take $150 from my next rental. I explained to someone a second time since the first had trouble with English and got a lesson on calendars and a courtesy of no charge for my mess up. I was very frustrated but understood. People could just get a contact and then make the reservation without TripAdvisor. Then they would be out their booking fee on both sites. TripAdvisor has increased the booking fee for the renter and I do think it is too much.

Quality and Condition - I guess it's just like craigslist for the most part. I advertise a resort that is managed by Wyndham so renters can see it is a legitimate place but there are always scammers out there. I dont think they can scam too much low because the owner does not receive the money until the day after the renter checks in. That way they cant disappear with the money and leave the renter without a place to stay. The renter can refuse the accommodations and that is where Trip-key's insurance would kick in to find other accommodations. It is not all bad - you just need to learn the system to work within it. I am mostly happy and making money renting through TripAdvisor.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.
  • Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.
  • Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.
  • Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.
  • In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.
  • Best for Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites