2. Travel

TripAdvisor

4.0/5 (663 ratings)

About TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: May 15, 2021

Public reviews of lodging, restaurants & things to do assist in travel plans. I have submitted reviews of places to assist others too. There are categories of reviews based on families, couples, friends. Lodging rates are posted from other sites very helpful. Types of restaurants assist in choosing where to dine & how expensive. Things to do are a great way to visit places, shopping.

Original review: May 2, 2021

My name is Tefera ** from Ethiopia. I have no detail information for all of the Trip sites. So that I am looking for information from Tripadvisor to know more about each sites. I think this site seems good in order to find enough data for trip site decision.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Seems when comparison shopping they beat the competition hands down. Would definitely recommend them to friends and family as they have served us well.

Original review: April 30, 2021

The experience was great. Found the hotel better than expected. We went to Disney but did not stay long. The crowds were insane. We spent most of the time at the hotel because of the kids and THE WATERPARK. I do think more precise information would help for people first time resort.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I found Trip Advisor to be very good for arranging my travel plans. They handled everything well and quickly gave my trip planning to Priceline who also was great in helping me extend my time for trip planning and trip final arrangements. Both companies helped me with trip planning and extensions with no trouble or confusion. All was handled very well and very professionally. Great job Trip Advisor and great job Priceline.

Original review: July 16, 2021

For many years I have been what TripAdvisor refers to as a Destination Expert and have over 50,000 post offering information to travelers. Without notice or explanation they have dropped my Destination Expert status and now say I violated guidelines. And very strange charge since I'm constantly subjected to libelous forum posts and insults but forum members that don't agree with my information. When I have complained about this, either no response or very limited response from TripAdvisor. A very unreliable company.

Original review: June 23, 2021

Our family loves reviews on Tripadvisor. We use them all the time for food and stay. Unfortunately, we cannot say the same for TripAdvisorPlus. My wife booked our trip to Puerto Vallarta using them. Without going into all the details, it essentially boiled down to the hotel TripAdvisorPlus booked for us in Puerto Vallarta telling us we did not have a reservation on the day of our flight. We then informed TripAdvisor Plus of their failure to book/properly coordinate a reservation with the hotel, and then quickly made alternative reservations after asking them to cancel the reservation, so our family wouldn't be without shelter on our first night of travel.

About a week later, give or take, TripAdvisor Plus' Customer Service informed us they could not refund us. They stated they could not get the money back from the hotel, and claimed the hotel stated that they found the reservation. To be fair, Customer Service listened to our concerns and appeared to understand our issue that we shouldn't be financially responsible for paying TripAdvisor Plus when the hotel they booked told us they did not have the reservation in our name. However, they failed to refund us. Then we were informed that contacting their Legal Counsel was our only chance at getting a refund. We were told we couldn't email them, only physical mail was allowed. We mailed them and about a month went by with no response. It wasn't until we found a legal department email online that they ever responded.

In that response, Legal Counsel implied we were lying about the whole situation of the hotel not having the reservation. Legal Counsel then proceeded to write it didn't matter if we were telling the truth anyway, because in their contract they are not liable for the actions of third-parties like hotels. In other words, the hotel could have told us all day long they don't have a reservation for us, but TripAdvisorPlus would never have to refund our money, even though we paid TripAdvisor Plus to get us a working hotel reservation. I'm glad to share more about this story or provide an email for anyone who needs to get in touch with TripAdvisor Plus' Legal Counsel. Please contact me at **. Love TripAdvisor, but BEWARE of TripAdvisor Plus.

Original review: June 3, 2021

We booked 2 rooms at the Crown Plaza in Key West through Tripadvisor plus 10 weeks in advance of our trip. Then 3 weeks before our trip, TA+ said they couldn't honor our booking (although rooms are still available) and offered us a substandard alternative. When we asked for another more equitable substitution they said nothing else was available (not true) and offered a refund. Bait and switch followed up with a take it or leave it approach. Being so close to our travel date, we had to book elsewhere at greater expense. Use anyone other than Tripadvisor. The absolute worst customer service experience I have ever had.

Original review: May 20, 2021

I am furious with TripAdvisor. I used this travel platform because they advertise that they will protect our transaction. We booked a vacation rental through TripAdvisor. Travel was for June 2020, in which international travel to the Bahamas was closed so we had to postpone our dates as our flights were canceled due to COVID. We rescheduled our trip to June 2021 via message to the vacation rental host through the TripAdvisor platform. It clearly states on TripAdvisor’s website to message the host if there was no available option on TripAdvisors platform to change the dates. The host assured us that she would change the dates. December 2020 it was determined that several members of our travel party would not be able to meet the travel requirements to travel internationally in June 2021.

We contacted the vacation rental host via TripAdvisor to advise her that we would unfortunately have to cancel our trip. She advised us that because the funds were already dispersed from TripAdvisor to her in June 2020, that she was unable to refund us any of our money. She offered to give us one year to reschedule. But TripAdvisor shows this trip as already traveled because she never updated the dates in TripAdvisor’s platform which is why the money was dispersed to her in June 2020, even though we did not travel.

So TripAdvisor stated because the dates were not changed there is nothing they can do to help us. They are allowing this host to collect money on a trip that was not traveled and now we are expected to trust this person we don’t know to reschedule our trip for a year from now with no documentation through TripAdvisor or otherwise. We are not comfortable accepting her offer to rebook the trip unless we can see the trip as an upcoming trip in TripAdvisor’s platform. We were able to be fully refunded on the flights and car rentals with no issue at all. Other members that we were traveling with were all given full refunds on their rentals. This is very unethical of TripAdvisor allowing this to happen all while taking their “fee” that was paid to protect our booking. As a travel planner I will never use this platform to book clients or my own personal travel.

Original review: May 15, 2021

Hi I booked a room for 2 weeks. Spent over a thousand dollars doing so on TripAdvisor. Had to cancel the room and had given them all necessary info on the room not being taken as well as did the hotel the first week. Now we are on week 7. No one will call me back. All I get are automated responses and still no answers. This is ridiculous. I would strongly recommend not using this site for any reason.

TripAdvisor.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team