TripAdvisor
2.57/5

Looking for a travel site?

TripAdvisor

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

687 TripAdvisor Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Tripadvisor offered us, as property owners, a three month "free trial" of their Business Advantage suite. The terms and conditions were clear that we could cancel within the trial period in order to prevent any recurring charges. We notified Tripadvisor, both in writing, electronically and by telephone to cancel our trial. They failed to do so despite their undertakings to cancel, and attempted to charge our credit card for a 12 month subscription. We were obliged to cancel our credit card to prevent such non contractual charges.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Booked a unit through TripAdvisor in October 2108, made a deposit and paid full balance on January 9/2019, received confirmation of payment then. February 12, four days before my long planned trip, I was notified that booking was canceled, no explanation, no reason why, only that they were sorry for any inconvenience. What kind of sham, scamming, irresponsible and deceitful company is that!!! Much obliged TripAdvisor for ruining my family's plans and disregarding my time.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

TripAdvisor takes your deposit and does not return it. We have asked numerous times for the return of the deposit and it has not been returned even though it was promised to be returned. Now our email and calls do not get returned.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

The site is free, the reviews are written by everyday people, not tour operators, and I find when traveling this site gives me so many good choices to eat, stay or tours I might be interested in. I have used this site when traveling, it is my go-to site for information.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

On two different occasions I had to cancel my travels plans and gave 24 hours notice. I did not get a reimbursement. The hotel said it’s the responsibility of TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor said it was the responsibility of the hotel (The Marriott). Needless to say I was out $400. I will never use either service again and will tell any whom are travelling to avoid both the Marriott and TripAdvisor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

You get the best of what you looking for. From trips in a budget to more luxury travels. Best restaurants and things to do in any town of the world. Super helpful and tons of people give their rates and experiences with great pictures.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The site offers a multitude of options but not in a very clear format that makes complete booking of all travels services. What is needed if you decide to book air, hotel and car? It would be nice to have a complete itinerary for the whole booking in a final review before booking.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

TripAdvisor is the BEST site ever! Saved us lots of hard earned money! The system was easy to operate and we were able to key in on what, exactly, we had wanted. We'd recommend TripAdvisor to any, and all of our friends!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I agree with 'Allan of Other' that legitimate reviews are being censored by TripAdvisor for unknown reasons. I recently stayed at Belmond Cap Juluca and wrote a detailed and honest review that TripAdvisor would not post. When I inquired about this via email, a customer service agent simply said that proprietary software performs these edits and he couldn't give me anymore information. I am convinced that TripAdvisor is in bed with many hotels and restaurants and has a pay for play arrangement to cull out negative reviews for a price. Sad...

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Spirit Air predominates the “lowest airfare” department because of their non-inclusive “come on” pricing, but by the time you pay for your carry on, YOUR (non-reclining) SEAT!, a glass of water, and on and on, it’s not often the best rate! I wish there was a way to exclude certain airlines from the TripAdvisor search engine, because I would never fly Spirit Air again!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I always read through TripAdvisor reviews before booking something. They have been reliable and accurate. I’ve also followed up and left reviews in return. I know many many people rely on TripAdvisor first when they want to book.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

The layout of the TripAdvisor site is not appealing. Very difficult to navigate searches and the criteria to search is limited. May bring you to same page multiple times. Prices were cheaper on numerous other sites.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I use this site to find accommodations which I generally book myself. I find their customer reviews and ratings very helpful in choosing where we will stay. The standards they use are a great help to me.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Good attitude. Understand what the plan all about. Will use service again. Quite an easy way to book traveling reservation with hotel, airplane...rental places where to take trips. Best time to vacation. You will love how customer service work find nice places such as hotel and car rental.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I really like TripAdvisor. It helps so much when traveling or just going out for dinner close by. I use it constantly, and love to post reviews from places I've visited. I think that the fact that there are many like me, make this site what it is. I have never been disappointed with the results. I read the good and the bad reviews to make my own conclusions, and have always been very well advised!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I use TripAdvisor regularly when plannning a trip for things to do in the area, restaurants and places to stay. I have only used it once or twice for accommodations. I recently used Booking for a trip to Homestead Florida. It was just an overnight in route to the Keys. I found a significantly lower price through Booking.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Ignorant robots which follow strict rules of an unreliable and irrelevant travel website where quarter of members are actual false accounts and 35% of the reviews are false too. Literally anyone can create account and write, for example, biased review in under 2 minutes. And you know what? It will be published! If you do not believe me check that yourself! 2 minutes! 2 minutes and you will make incredible damage to a business which strives to survive because it is fair business. SAD and ALARMING!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I booked a Holiday Inn Express hotel in Daytona Florida based on TripAdvisor rating. Hotel allowed dogs. I stayed and had allergies with itching all night. Wrote up my review about the hotel stating such. TripAdvisor did not publish. I think TripAdvisor must be paid by hotels to rank them highly. Very crooked.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Was a member of TripAdvisor for over ten years. Posted many balanced, factual reviews. Started to notice some negative or neutral reviews did not post past the "Pending" phase. Ultimately, all my reviews were deleted by TripAdvisor with no notice of communication to me. Queries went unanswered. This website can no longer be trusted with my honest independent review work. Looks like I am not alone.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Catching an airport shuttle is generally, a pretty straightforward process. Our recent experience at Tampa International proved to be a notable exception. Because we had booked our reservation through a "Third Party," the agent for the shuttle service would not accept our voucher. Without an agent on the desk at the airport, negotiations had to be conducted by phone. To keep our long (2 hour) story short, let me point out that it's a good thing that our 3rd party was Viator. Although this was clearly a bungle by the shuttle company representative, the Viator rep was extremely empathetic. She apologized sincerely and arranged for a full refund. It's the kind of reassurance that eases the stress of travel. We won't hesitate to return to Viator, and feel confident in recommending the company to friends.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

NIGHTMARE EXPERIENCE WITH TRIPADVISOR: BAD POLICIES THAT ENABLE HOMEOWNERS TO CANCEL LAST MINUTE. TERRIBLE TRAINING OF Customer service. No financial compensation for cancellation during peak time. Five months ago, I booked a holiday rental villa for 18 people through TripAdvisor in Seminyak, Bali for December 26 - January 1. My extended family was coming to Bali during this height of travel season from Europe and North America and we had fully paid the $5,000 rental.

Three weeks before we were all to go to Bali, we received an email from TripAdvisor that the booking had been canceled by the owner, due to the owner having listed the villa with another agency and rented it out to someone else (likely for more money)! TripAdvisor customer service was very difficult to get hold of, emails from TripAdvisor's customer services were often confusing and written in poor English, the alternative suggested rentals they sent us were actually all NOT available, and they made little effort to compensate us for a nightmare experience. Luckily we ended up finding another rental villa through AirBnB, though we had to pay more money.

I will never book a holiday rental through TripAdvisor again. They are just a listing agency and since owners know this, they apparently list their homes on several sites. If TripAdvisor had a clearly policy to prevent owners from double listing, this kind of situation would not happen. Moreover, despite the cost and difficulties we went through trying to find an alternative villa in Bali over New Year for 18 people due to their last-minute cancellation, TripAdvisor gave us NO financial compensation to rectify the situation. One is much better off booking directly on AirBnB or other such sites to prevent such a nightmare experience!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Avoid TripAdvisor. They have very little skill when it comes to helping with issues. I waiting on a return phone call after a small issue mentioned required a cancellation. Getting my money back proved very difficult. I was disgusted that after booking, they put every obstacle in the way preventing you talking to the owner, so you can find out detailed information about his/her property. I tried to cancel, but due to their policy I was to be charged €400 for nothing. This was after finally finding a way to communicate with the owner directly and finding his place wasn't quite suitable for our special trip. Now my issue was, if I had been able to discuss properly with the owner. This would never have got to this awful situation. I enjoy eventually found a way to contact customer service to be told, my cancellation was fine and I would receive a phone call back the next day. I waited. No phone call!!

So after receiving a message from owner agreeing my cancellation, I again contacted customer service after no phone call Al the following day. I was told they hadn't managed to speak with the owner yet, even though I had a message through the TripAdvisor site at 07.20 am that morning advising me he was happy to accept cancellation. So again I was told I would receive a phone call. Well guess what? You've got it. NO PHONE CALL. So I contacted the owner to find he also had been promised a call and like me was still waiting, not only that he was told his rating would go down and would be charged a £100. Let's see now for £100 what have they done. Well to be frank NOTHING AT ALL, NOT EVEN A SIMPLE COURTESY PHONE CALL. After still no phone call and no refund I called again to TripAdvisor.

I managed at least I thought, to speak to a supervisor within TripAdvisor customer service call Sana, who also told me they hadn't contacted the owner yet. So after a few angry words, I told them I was disgusted with their customer service and to be charging anyone was out of order after doing NOTHING NOT EVEN A RETURN PHONE CALL even to the extent of putting the blame on the owner. So I asked them kindly to contact the owner and hopefully sort this situation out and get my refund actioned, Sana promised this would happen and she would contact the owner herself. You guessed it NO CALL to EITHER OF US. My refund has now taken over a week and I'm still awaiting my money.

The owner is £100 DISGUSTINGLY OUT of pocket as they have already taken his money. Yet still no phone call after a number of promises. Absolutely disgraceful service and taking money for doing nothing is worse than stealing. Just so you are all aware the time scale for me canceling was around 1 day. Not weeks or months. 1 single day and wanting to charge me €400 is a scam and taking the poor owner's money and making threats to him is totally unacceptable. One angry disgusted customer. Will I leave any more reviews and assist them. Frankly NO, avoid this company at all cost, that's both OWNERS & CUSTOMERS.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Hi. I did few reviews on cafes on TripAdvisor, then cancelled my account. I have now got people on to me telling me TripAdvisor are taking me to court for this. All I did was reviews and I deleted my account after it - and I get in to trouble still even though my account was deleted.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

"Our travel community appreciates you wanting to share your experience with them, unfortunately we cannot publish your contribution as it does not meet our review guidelines. Reviews are most helpful when they provide unbiased advice. Therefore, we do not allow: ownership, management, or anyone affiliated with the business to publish reviews of that business, reviews between competing establishments, reviews submitted in an attempt to blackmail a listing will not be published. If you suspect a review is fraudulent or does not meet TripAdvisor’s posting guidelines, you can use the “Report Problem with Review” feature located at the bottom of each review. Your reviews really do help and your fellow travelers look forward to hearing about your next trip! Make your review even better by checking out our Tips for Writing Helpful Reviews."

SO! I tried posting a thorough truthful review TWICE on TripAdvisor and this is the message above I received. My review about Chop House on the Bricks was denied twice and it met EVERY SINGLE GUIDELINE. In seems they won't post bad reviews actually at ALL on their site, only positive reviews no matter the cost. People have a RIGHT to know about shady sketchy businesses and their immoral practices.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

The latest scam of Trip Advisor: as if I haven’t already heard of a bunch of shady things that this company does now they are practicing something that is just plain wrong for customers, and is only self-serving. There is now a nice message on your profile that says “XYZ company does not take bookings on Trip Advisor, would you like to book with someone who does” which then takes you away from the exact company you were interested in and sends you to their Viator (aka Tripadvisor) linked options (meaning the companies they make money from).

This is supposed to be a review sites for customers not for self-serving interests. And in the case of our company, when you click the button it doesn’t even take you to similar activities (thank god in our case). How does that help the customer??? To me, this is just plain wrong. This company already requests 30% commissions to link with Viator then uses the merit of YOUR COMPANY’s page and credibility to get you to book with their book now button. THEY don’t do ANYTHING. THIS IS A MONOPOLY and complete garbage.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I've had bad reviews for a number of places quietly go missing. I've also seen places that were swimming with bad reviews have all of their bad reviews go away. Clearly this site is corrupt. Their credibility is gone.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I recently reviewed the Hyatt in Cleveland. One of many complaints I made was that the Hyatt manager always tells you they will help but Hyatt is all words, no action. After placing my review on TripAdvisor, another blah, blah, blah response came in from Hyatt confirming how poorly I was treated, indicating that the treatment was not acceptable and stating a willingness to continue the discussion with me.

The problem? There is no obvious way to continue the discussion. There is no contact information. In thinking about it, I realize many companies regularly respond with apologies, noting that your next stay will be better. It is an easy way to look good without actually doing anything. This is a game that TripAdvisor is helping to perpetuate by not pushing the supplier of the goods or service to prove or show that it has done something. TripAdvisor is really just an arm of the service provider, nothing more. They are not really helping consumers by not pushing suppliers to follow through on their promises, In the end, consumers are left with false impressions of the company being reviewed. It is a bit of a joke.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

TripAdvisor demands that you write a minimum of 200 words to review any business that they list. This is ridiculous!. Yet T.A. has no place on its website to place comments about itself. I was going to give a detailed but succinct review on the outstanding Tambopata Research Center on the Amazon in Peru.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Reserved 3 events with TripAdvisor (Viator). Cancellation policy is stated as 24 h. Called them 25 hours and 28 hours before the two events to cancel. They would not accept the cancellations and issue a refund, claiming I was outside the 24 h cancellation period. After much back and forth, incredulous that they could not read a clock and wondering what planet they were on, I gave up. I was so stunned that they could not understand that Monday at 10:00 was 25 hours before Tuesday at 11:00, I took a picture of my phone 'Recents' to prove that I called them at that particular time. Took it to Visa, who took it up with Viator (TripAdvisor) and they STILL claim it is outside the 24 h window. Moral of the story.... don't trust the Viator policy. If you deal with them (which I will never do again), and you need to cancel something, be prepared to do it a week ahead and record the conversation. These people cannot be trusted.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Spam calls - "Joe" has been calling me for months, I keep telling him I am not interested so he hangs up on me, then calls back a day or so later. I asked him today to remove my number but he hung up before I could tell him all of that. I am tired of him harassing me and using all my minutes on my phone. I have blocked the number every time but he just calls from another number! Please stop the calls or I will take it up with someone further up. Thank you.

TripAdvisor.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs