TripAdvisor

93%

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

1,229people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with TripAdvisor:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Well this past July, I basically got scammed by one of your sellers. I was looking for a condo at Myrtle Beach to sleep 16 guests. I came across a advertisement that said beachfront condos that sleep 8 guests. So I contacted the property owner and reserved 2 condos. Of course payment was due before arrival, so I paid maybe a week upon arrival. A few days before arrival, I was informed by the property owner that the 2 condos weren't at the same resort. I said it was no problem as long as both rooms slept 8 guests each and I was assured they did.

When we arrived at the 1st resort, I go in to inspect. I go into the bathroom 1st and notice it's water all over the floor, I walk over to the toilet and I see the toilet is overflowing. I call the property owner, he doesn't answer and his vm is full. So I tell the front desk and they tell me they can't help bc the property is privately owned. I continue to inspect while emailing and texting the owner. Next I notice there's only 2 beds and a pullout couch (only sleeping room for 6 not 8) so I go to the next resort. This condo only had 2 beds (only sleeping room for 4) and no kitchenette. At this point I'm pissed and I call again. Still no answer, so of course I text/email.

Much later the property manager calls and says both rooms sleep 8 guests and to turn the water off to the toilet and maintenance will be there shortly. I expressed to him how many beds were in the rooms and how there were 6 people that had nowhere to sleep. The property owner stated he would find us another condo. I said ok. The maintenance person never showed and I kept trying to call the property owner. Finally he calls back late afternoon and says he's found a room that sleeps 8 guests but wants to be paid $200 more, I ask him why would he ask for more money if we paid for an 8 guests condo but got a 6 guest and a 4 guest condo? He doesn't reply to my question, he just says "sorry for the inconvenience" and "maintenance should be there shortly".

I told the seller we were checking out and wanted the $ back for the condo where there was a toilet issue and I then called PayPal to start the refund process. Long story short, the seller wanted us to stay but the toilet never was fixed and we had to use the resort main restroom which was located on the 1st floor and we were on the 7th.

After 2 days of going back and forth in text, emails and calls I had experienced enough. So I let him know how much of a inconvenience having guest sleep on the floor and to go down 7 floors go use the restroom really was. This time the owner responded right back. He said he would get maintenance to come again but I would have to pay $75 (I was surprised bc to my knowledge maintenance never came, the resort cleaned the restroom bc I told them the water would eventually damage the room under us, but I didn't say anything). I told him I wasn't going to pay for an issue that was brought to his attention at check in, then he tries to tell me how to go about fixing the toilet. He then calls and tells me he will be there in 30 to 45 minutes, but doesn't get there until 3 hours later.

When he arrives I'm not there but the other guests are, they watch him fix the toilet and when I arrive he's standing outside the room wanting to be paid. We go back and forth bc I had told him before that I wasn't paying for someone else's mess. I go back into the condo and one of the guests ask what we're arguing about and I tell her he wants $75, she takes $20 and says "give him this so he can leave" and I did and he soon left. To me this was very inconsiderate and unprofessional. A few days later I called PayPal back and I was notified that the rep didn't note everything. The only notes that were made were about the toilet issue, so I asked for the complaints to be joined together. I was told I would have to restart the process so I said ok. This time I was told the issue of false advertisement was being entered. So I send copies of text/emails to verify my story and a few days later I get an email stating I couldn't be given a refund.

At this point I'm furious bc I find out that the false advertisement and the toilet issue was never put together, they were done as 2 separate complaints, so I had to do an appeal. Then I was told to reach out to my bank, Flipkey and TripAdvisor. I feel like I have been given the runaround bc each company has told me to call another company. I have always had such great thoughts about Flipkey/TripAdvisor, but right now I'm not so sure. Whether or not I contacted TripAdvisor/Flipkey within 24 hours of check in or not, something should have been done, other than calling the seller and asking does he want to give a refund. I really feel as if a refund should have been granted due to the texts\emails\pictures that I provided. This was clearly a scam of false advertisement and it was a huge inconvenience for my family and I.

I have received emails from Kunal ** and Rupika **. I have also spoken to several of your reps Omkar, and Rohan to name a few. I was told that there was no such thing as a corporate phone number or email address, I was told the owner was called several times. Then when they reached him they asked did he wanted to give a refund. Meanwhile, I was called once and I was unable to answer and was never called again. Why is this? Why can't this be handled better? Meaning, call the seller, state that there is evidence that proves he has scammed/false advertised someone, then ask how much he is willing to refund in order to remain in good standing with your company and I.

I have been in the customer service field for over 11 years and whether polices or procedures were followed by the customer or not, when this type of situation would have been brought to anyone's attention the customer wouldn't have been turned away furious and exhausted as I have. This entire situation has been a very unprofessional, unmoral, long drawn out process and I'm hoping someone of higher authority can reach out to me and do something other than tell me they understand but it's the seller's choice if I get some money back.

I booked and paid for accommodation in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh) city a 2 bedroom apt through TripAdvisor. Upon arrival on the 24/8 after walking the streets with our luggage for 4 hours, trying to find someone who could help us make contact with the apt owner Johny ** booking number #: **. Who would not answer his phone or TripAdvisor inbox msgs so we could get the keys we finally stumbled upon his letting agent in a real estate office. She told us in the very little English she spoke that Johny ** was her client so she proceeded to try to make contact with him. After several phone calls (I am not sure to whom, as she spoke in VIETNAMESE) and another 2 hrs later she took us to what we believe was Johny **'s home address where we stood and knocked on the door for over 20 mins. No one came to the door.

It was at this point we realised that we were probably not going to be able to contact him to get the keys so she arranged for us to stay at a hotel close by. She gave us her business card and we exchanged ph numbers and she said she would continue trying to contact him. At this stage I thought "Well she's his letting agent so I'm sure she'll sort it out and have my money refunded within a day or 2." We did not hear from her again. We ended up just finding other accommodation after spending 2 days at the hotel she had found us waiting to hear from either her or Johny **. AS THIS WAS MY 1ST TIME booking through TripAdvisor or any holiday for that matter, I was not aware of the hidden 24HR clause in their fine print stating that should there be a problem you must notify them within 24hrs upon arrival or they hand your money over and that's the end of their responsibilities on booking made with them.

I explained that I was unaware of the 24 hr clause and that I was under the impression that because we had found his leasing agent that it would probably be sorted out in the next day or two and furthermore that I only had the address and ph num of the owner on me, that my ref and booking number was on my laptop that I had left in Australia so could not get access to to make a report anyway. I have sent numerous emails to the owner. Inboxed his account and continue to keep trying to ring him with no luck. I have also had and sent numerous emails to TripAdvisor informing them and all I get back from them is... "You'll have to contact the owner." They even sent him an email acknowledging my complaint to which they claim they have had no response.

Then tonight they send me an email offering the very same APT in question owned by Johny ** AS A POSSIBILITY for accommodation on my NEXT HOLIDAY... 8 days ago I wrote a review on TripAdvisor's page trying to warn others to steer clear of this listing explaining my situation which they refuse to this point to release... I think it's DISGUSTING that this person has not been removed and banned from ALL booking sites let alone have them RECOMMENDING this person to future travellers. My holiday was ruined and no one seems to care. I took some small consolation thinking "Oh well at least my payment's protected." How wrong was I. TripAdvisor have done nothing but fob me off.

Having been trying to receive a £50 damage deposit. Guests had a BBQ on the decking of my holiday cabin. This in itself is total madness. Why would you have a BBQ on wooden decking of a wooden cabin? Then they left the hot BBQ unattended!!! It then blew over and burnt 2 panels of the decking. I suppose I should count my blessings that they didn't burn down the whole property!!! The guests did not tell me about the damage until after they left. They seemed to have panicked and got the damage repaired in the cheapest way possible. The decking used is not to the same standard of the existing decking. It is not the same pattern and it is not the same colour, far from it. The decking has not been treated with the correct weatherproofing treatment. So all of this needs to be rectified.

I cannot claim on my insurance, as it will not cover the stupidity of having a fire/BBQ in such close proximity of a wooden structure, in this case on the wooden structure. I followed Holiday Lettings (TripAdvisor) procedures and sent them photos, a copy of a quote for the works, copies of emails between myself and the guests who admitted causing the damage and a copy of the invoice for the work being carried out. But they keep sending back an email saying the same thing asking for the same stuff over again and saying the invoice is not acceptable but not why.

Holiday Lettings (TripAdvisor) are happy to take their fees, but not to help you when you have a problem. They have no complaints procedure. Most of the emails are standard automated replies. They do not answer questions. I have been trying to find what exactly what they want from me, but I just get "we can't take into account the invoices you sent." The English in the emails is dreadful.

We tried to have our B&B listed for over 4 weeks and received all kinds of apologies, excuses, and promises about resolving their impossible process. It has never been resolved (we are not listed) and they don't seem to have rational explanation. We have emailed, called regularly, and tried to jump through all of their hoops without success. We've given up. They clearly do not really want new listings of our nature for some reason. Makes me question what else they do that's not trustworthy.

TripAdvisor allowed a one star review on my listing that is not about my company at all. But they have refused to remove. I am file suit against tripadvisor for slander. DO NOT BELIEVE THE REVIEWS ON TRIPADVISOR!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

I have NEVER had a company so difficult to deal with, siding with the false advertising of a rental. I am so angry right now and feel like they've just stolen my money. The customer support doesn't care that photos on the listing do not accurately depict what's there. What one "support" person told me today was that the seller of the listing is getting "good reviews" and he didn't see a reason why I should have a problem.

This is AFTER I spoke with a manager who asked me to send photos, which I did 2 days ago. I'm still waiting for their "investigative team" to review the photos. Meanwhile they've got my money tied up. NEVER AGAIN will I use TripAdvisor. If you have a problem with a rental, you will have to fight and fight to try to get your money back. All they seem to care about is whatever money they're making from the seller. They do not seem to care at all about the customers to the site. STAY AWAY FROM TRIPADVISOR!!!

I am a timeshare owner who rents out my extra time. Yes, the phone number is a bit difficult to find. It's under help and pick an option then you can say, "need more help" and then it gives you the option to call 1-877-354-7539. I too had trouble with TripAdvisor. My first booking requested twice on a rental that was not available. I must have accidentally sent a quote and she paid it. I told her that it was not available and to cancel on her end. This was also her first time using TripAdvisor. They charged her a booking fee and would not refund it.

I called on her behalf and was able to get them to return the fee but they were going to take $150 from my next rental. I explained to someone a second time since the first had trouble with English and got a lesson on calendars and a courtesy of no charge for my mess up. I was very frustrated but understood. People could just get a contact and then make the reservation without TripAdvisor. Then they would be out their booking fee on both sites. TripAdvisor has increased the booking fee for the renter and I do think it is too much.

Quality and Condition - I guess it's just like craigslist for the most part. I advertise a resort that is managed by Wyndham so renters can see it is a legitimate place but there are always scammers out there. I dont think they can scam too much low because the owner does not receive the money until the day after the renter checks in. That way they cant disappear with the money and leave the renter without a place to stay. The renter can refuse the accommodations and that is where Trip-key's insurance would kick in to find other accommodations. It is not all bad - you just need to learn the system to work within it. I am mostly happy and making money renting through TripAdvisor.

I have received another threatening letter from you telling me to pay for the full cost of a holiday I have not had with Silka holidays in Monschau Germany. At no time was their cancellation policy explained to me because I could not pen their attachment which I complained to them about. Asked them to explain. Which they refused to do till in the end I cancelled. I cancelled because they refused to give me any photos or detailed info till I cancelled, only then did they tell me I owed them the full cost of the holiday for a squalid little cottage in Monschau without being aware of their terms and conditions. Not a cancellation fee but the full cost of a squalid cottage. E600.00 plus. And you tell me if I don't pay for something I have not had, English law means nothing and the fees will escalate. What an appalling threat from you???

I do not have the money to be stolen from me by you and your corrupt friends. Sandra **, Ms Tina ** (Senior Manager DSV Worldwide). I am not paying for something I have not with either had or explained. English law is only binding when I pay a deposit, which I have not paid, I am not Dutch, thank God! and refuse their corrupt way of practicing and treating potential customers.

In all the years I have holidayed on the continent I have never had a nightmare as this as and you have made it so much worse. I will never use you again for booking holidays. I use Holidays lettings and Cottages for you and this is my first experience of your company, full of threats, worse than the Silka holidays. No wonder you get so many complaints. My mistake for asking for your help when all you want to do is terrorize me. I have no proof they paid the owners up front before getting any money from me and that I doubt very much indeed??? I need the proof.

I am innocent of this corruption and will fight you and your corrupt Silka Holidays for the appalling threats from you, whom I will never use again and will inform all I know of your threatening behaviour to a widow in bad health, who can afford very little. You took their side completely allowing me no rights as an English woman under English law but implying Dutch law is superior. No that is not the case. No information and no rights of procedure. And no proof of their payment to the owners before receiving a penny from me??? I don't think so!

I am taking legal advice against you and your Silka holidays. I am informing the tourist board of your behaviour and will have your name widely circulated, adding the the already enormous complaints on the internet about you starting with my friends, facebook, tourist office and international lawyers, who we will be contacting on Tuesday by my colleague, who is an international business woman and has many contacts. Don't think for one minute you will get money out of her. I made the booking and I am a poor widow in bad health, a brain disease this could even kill me, the persecution and stress is such. And you will be held responsible!

My friend is now handling this corrupt and sordid affair. Her name is Tina **, senior manager with an international organization who will be using her lawyers to deal with you. Widely circulated on Facebook for your lack of support, no rights for English holidays makers but instead appalling threats to make us pay for something we have not had and were not notified of the cancellation conditions before booking. Which are extortionate.

Rented a home in Charlotte, NC through TripAdvisor, my first experience with this site. The ad listed 3 bedrooms. After booking two months in advance, and corresponding with owner, I find out that there are only two bedrooms and some air mattresses. I gave the emails, the ad and a copy of an ad for the same rental (but listed correctly as 2 bedroom) on Vacation Rentals By Owner to the TripAdvisor customer service. I wanted my money back. Didn't happen.

Then the night before we are leaving to go to Charlotte, the owner emails me and says he has to cancel because the "community" in which the rental is located no longer allows short-term rentals. I called TripAdvisor and they said I would have to confirm that the owner can give a refund and after that, they would try to find us a new rental. This is 10 hours before we are getting on a plane for a week-long vacation!!

After a long talk with my husband, the owner agreed to let us use the rental, but his parents needed to meet us first at a local restaurant, walk in with us and subsequently sat on the patio everyday to give the impression we were visiting them and not renting. What a weird experience. However, the ad is still up. They are not taking the ad down even though it is false advertisement and they have the original email from the owner stating he cannot rent the unit. I would never use TripAdvisor, FlipKey, etc. (all the same network) again.

I have properties listed and have never had such a bad experience. They outsource all of their call centers and you can't understand anyone. I've had so many questions go unanswered and I've even tried canceling my listings, but no one calls me back. Now, I get multiple calls a day at our office from these people. They hang up on me repeatedly, they barely speak English and now I feel like they are harassing our office staff. Yesterday they called 5 times in a row and hung up on us every time. WHAT KIND OF COMPANY DOES THAT??? We are very busy and don't have time to deal with this. I ask them to stop calling every time and the next day they just call again. I'm so done with this horrible company, but there is no way to make them stop.

I am an owner and dialed I don't know how many numbers and one was a recording and hung up. The other sent me to Flip Key who I do not have an agreement with. I not sure they didn't steal a booking from vrbo. Finally got someone who kindly put me on hold till eternity. It's a lousy company to do business.

I ran a restaurant for 3 years and used TripAdvisor. In the 3 years, I had nothing but headache, anger, and lousy customer support from them. If a customer posted from my place (after I had logged in at the same location), they penalised us as having written our own review. We were knocked from number 2 to number 15 on more than one occasion. There is NO FEEDBACK CHANNEL for business owners except for clicking options on forms. When you express your discern for the services they offer, they give you canned responses. It's the most infuriating customer service anyone will ever encounter.

I went to TripAdvisor as it had never let us down regarding reviews, but never purchased and never will again. Besides it charges everything in dollars which means I have to pay conversion fee (Wichita is not cheap) adding £10 and upwards to each booking. I made a booking for Indian shores Florida and got an almost immediate response from the owner. So I thought this is good, but that was the start of a disaster. About two weeks later I got an email from TripAdvisor telling me about a property in Indian Shores and asking for monies. So I sent monies and then realised it was a different property to the one I had original purchased so I immediately cancelled and explained to them that their email had made me panic and send monies not knowing that it was a different property. Any way what company sends you more properties when you have already booked one with them!!!

Any way the response I got from them was that they would contact the owners and ask if they would reimburse the monies. How ridiculous can you get I ask. I am still fighting them for the return of the monies, but all of a sudden they have stopped replying. I have lost £190 with exchange rates and I do not know how they can get away with it when it is their fault by sending out another property after I had payed for another. Please learn lessons from this. By all means read the reviews of properties, but don't buy from them. They are highway men hiding behind a good review service.

Good luck trying to reach a human being if you call them. First, there is no option to press "0" to reach a telephone representative. Instead, you have to listen to all the options and when they don't mention one that applies to you, you have to listen to them all again and pick one that is the closest. Then, guess what, they transfer you to someone else and you get to wait again. Looking at my phone screen I see I've been at this for 33:09 minutes and counting... still on hold.

Their website has no telephone number listed ANYWHERE and I'm an Owner, not a Traveler. No "Chat" option either. (I'm not going to finish this review until I know how long I was on the phone so I can tell you.) "We apologize for the delay in answering your call, please continue to hold and one of our representatives will be with you as soon as possible" in a voice that sounds like Julian Assange. 41:30 and still on hold. Monday morning 9:15 AM - looks like no one showed up for work.

Just found this on a TripAdvisor "support forum" which I will paste here: "How do I CONTACT TripAdvisor staff? Most questions can be answered by posting it in the TA Support Forum where they will be answered by fellow members; getting a response is usually faster that way. But to get a hold of a TA staff member, use a "Contact Us" link in the Help Center." Well there is no CONTACT US link on a Owner's website, only a Traveler's web view. 61:04 total time on the phone. All I wanted to know is what the ** fees are!!! And the telephone reps are in Manila **!

I booked 3 different apartments for my holiday in Italy. Of the 3, only 1 has returned my 'breakage deposit'. This is a month after my holiday. There were no breakages on the other 2. I am €300 out of pocket - plus bank charges of approx £20. I keep emailing Tripadvisor, and get no reply. Dear reader, be aware of the 'breakage deposit' scam, and don't use Tripadvisor to book an apartment, unless you're prepared to sacrifice your 'breakage deposit'.

I have used Tripadvisor many times in the past and been very happy, BUT NEVER AGAIN!!! I booked a house in Ypres for a party of 7 in November 2016, but had to change the dates of our trip. The same house was not available on the new dates so I had to book another. I am now unable to obtain a refund of my deposit of £89. Tripadvisor is blaming the home owners small print on refunds (which I cannot find) and the home owner is saying it is Tripadvisor's policy not to refund a deposit. At the end of the day someone has my money and I would like it back, I gave them enough notice (4 Months before my trip).

I think the application or platform to write reviews is a great way to see a common thread, good or bad for what you are interested in, TripAdvisor is a great place to come for that. The problem (at least for me and anyone concerned about animal welfare) is that they support tour companies that base their profits in the use and abuse of animals. For example they promote elephant rides. Tourists should be informed about the cruelty involved in the "breaking" of a wild elephant called "Phaajan" (look it up) by giving certain tours a "rating" so that the common tourist is prompted to become an informed traveler. Some people just don't know that their new & exciting experience has been at a very high and cruel cost to the animals involved. TripAdvisor can and should do better.

I found what I thought would be a wonderful birthday gift for my husband - a 3-day stay aboard a yacht in Annapolis, MD. The post for the yacht had many nice pictures, but no real information about the boat, the amenities, available activities or their prices. I asked for further information but was informed I could only ask the owner questions AFTER I made my non-refundable deposit (over $1000). Stupidly, I paid deposit. I contacted owner about details - location of yacht, contact #, FAQs from previous guests, what we should/shouldn't bring etc. After four months of back and forth and partial answers (the owner didn't give directions but the name of a restaurant in Annapolis where we might find parking - I live two states away!), I noticed listing was no longer available on TripAdvisor.

I contacted customer service who assured me that my booking was valid and that I could cancel trip within 24 hours of arrival if property wasn't what was advertised. We did manage to find where the boat was moored and we're greeted by the wife. We then had to take a water taxi to boat (moving bags from one moving boat to another not exactly safe). The 'yacht' was a second-hand, stripped out Charter with no TV, wifi, or A/C, spotty, limited electricity and limited fresh water. The owner had only bought boat 2 years before and had no prior experience with boats or sailing - he bought it because he likes to kite-sail or rather is obsessed with kite-sailing. He complained about the cost of the boat and the repairs and how he had wiped out his life savings to buy it. He gave us a quick run through on the boat, equipment, etc but forgot things like how to turn on stove!

We had asked several times about going sailing and he had promised to find us a captain, but still hadn't by the time we arrived. The first evening was manageable - overcast, humid, got very little sleep due to heat but bearable. The following day was hell. We went into Annapolis in the morning and by the time we returned to boat it was 108 degrees (real feel) on the ship. Our phones were dead and the only way to charge them was to switch from the solar panels to the battery (which owner didn't want us to do because it cost money). There was no WiFi (though owner said there would be), so my husband used his cell as a hotspot (which costs a lot of money). We were stuck in a sauna, moored in the bay (a marina would have been more expensive), with nowhere to go (you can take water taxis to different areas, but unless some restaurant/store would allow us to hang around until the sun went down, we were stuck.

Thankfully, I had brought water and Gatorade (there was nothing on the boat) and put them in the refrigerator which was only slightly above tepid. We couldn't use the freezer because of lack of electricity. After hours in this sweat box, we were at pure survival mode. I was putting wet wash clothes into refrigerator to use to wipe down to keep cool and we took cold shower after cold shower just to keep from getting heat stroke. We would have left then (or until water taxis stopped at midnight) but were literally too drained and exhausted and feeling nauseous from heat we couldn't do anything, let alone drive the 2 1/2 hours home.

At around 6, the wife called us about sailing. She said her husband couldn't find a captain and he was busy but would take us out for $400 which was twice the price we were quoted. We informed her we were leaving the next morning due to heat and she asked if the breeze wasn't enough?! The wind was approx. 3 mph and wasn't going to cool anything let alone the boat. She was very flippant - 'sorry you had bad weather" (Weather?! - It's called summer) and 'at least you know what it's like to live on a boat' - A boat that just sits in a bay without moving might as well be a van in the middle of a parking lot.

We only learned that this couple made bad financial choices and decided to use their glorified garbage scow to con people out of their money. I tried to contact TripAdvisor, but you can only leave feedback if posting still listed - which it wasn't and in fact, the owner's name now appeared as 'unknown'. A simple checklist of amenities, basic information, FAQs at the time the rental was listed should be mandatory - not picture of girls in bikinis in the Caribbean which have nothing to do with a stay on the Chesapeake. Eventually, their lack of vetting and due diligence is going to result in something devastating or even deadly for the people who use this site. I will never use it again.

In general, I have used TA to book restaurants and hotels. I write fair reviews and they are usually good to excellent. Yes, my opinion but I support it with examples. OK. Here's the problem. My husband and I recently booked a B and B that was highly recommended by TA reviewers. We booked directly. When we arrived, I couldn't believe how shabby the place was. I felt like we were being put into someone's grandmother's attic. The bathroom was tiny 1970's style. There was random old furniture around the room. No decent chair to sit in and read. The owners were lovely so I didn't write any review at all. The cost was very high. But how can this be???

After placing an order for a hotel room, I then had to cancel due to a storm. When I contacted TripAdvisor, they told me that was fine. I never received the money in my account, so I contacted them again. I was then told I needed to contact a different company in order to obtain my refund. Why was this not disclosed from the beginning? They make it so easy to pay them, as long as they don't have to pay you back! It seems this company is not interested in helping people, but would rather scam them. Just contact the hotel directly, or I have had great service with Hotels.com. Thanks!

Hi folks. I just was in Peru in September and after a long time searching, I find that Eco Path Trek is cheap and great, and I went to all of my tours with them to 5 days Salkantay trekking way to Machu Picchu, and Manu Amazon jungles 4 days, and short 2 days trekking to Ausangate, and simply I can say that I was so happy with them that I prefer to buy touristic bus ticket to Puno and also Uros Island tour from this agency!! Before arriving there I was thinking the quality should be low because their price is so cheap and good, but I was shocked when I saw how it was good. The manager Elmer is so lovely boy and too professional. That was amazing and simply if I come back to Cusco (definitely will happen), I don't need to search again and I will go definitely with this fantastic agency for sure!!

They told me 1 amount but took a whole different amount out of my account for a city view in Ocean City but I booked an ocean view. Now I'm stuck at the beach watching cars go by...never again.

I was a faithful user and believer in TripAdvisor and relied on it for all my travels. I booked a very expensive room in a chateau in France. Upon our arrival, we were shocked when we saw our room. It was filthy, no window and the size of a cupboard (700 euros a night). We immediately complained to the owner and wanted to leave. He would not refund our deposit or give us another room. We told him we would write about our experience on TRIPADVISOR. His reply was "GO AHEAD! WHATEVER YOU WRITE, I WILL HAVE IT TAKEN DOWN." Well, we left that chateau and wrote about our experience and the room quality. Surely, our negative but TRUE review WAS immediately removed, never to be seen by anyone. How is that possible and how reliable, truthful and legitimate is TRIPADVISOR? We will NEVER use them again. VERY DISAPPOINTING AND A SCAM.

I will never EVER book through these people again. Between them and FlipKey, I thought I was going to lose my mind. And beware, if you book a home through TripAdvisor, you may be dealing with FlipKey... which adds another layer of confusion. Never again.

I own 2 hotels in Buckie in the NE of Scotland. They have always been number 1 and 2 on TripAdvisor for Buckie. Recently we added a tablet to our reception area at Rosemount so that guests could give reviews on tripadvisor rather than write in the visitor book. Tripadvisor have now deemed all of the reviews made to be fraudulent, removed previously live reviews and downrated Rosemount from 1 to 4 in the ratings. I have tried to talk to them but just get told to email. I have sent several emails and received no sensible reply, other than a lesson in statistics. One email told me that the fact that so many reviews were made from same IP address "tripped" their system yet another email from another person told me this was not the case. They will not address the issue and reinstate the reviews, neither will they reinstate our previous status in the ranking.

I have also involved their CEO to no avail. One guest (a regular visitor) whose review was removed has kindly written us another one from his home but Tripadvisor have not published it but will not respond to my question as to why. Neither of the establishments in the number 2 and 3 slots (our other property being in the number 1 position) have had newer reviews, neither have they as many reviews and neither have they the amount of 5* reviews that Rosemount has yet still Rosemount remains in the downgraded number 4 position. This is extremely detrimental to our business and tripadvisor has offered no assistance of any sense despite me explaining what we were doing and clearly stating that we are no longer using the tablet, them having pointed out that this has caused a problem. I am just going round in circles and my business is being affected which is totally unacceptable.

I have been cheated by somebody recommended by TripAdvisor. I have paid the house rental and also 1000 euro deposit as asked by the owner (possibly non existing). I want this euro 1000 back, as the fact that he asked me this deposit is your fault. I consider all this story unacceptable. Not only I am losing 1000 euro to a thief but I do not know where to take my family in vacation. FYI, I was going to buy also the plane tickets to Sardinia!!! Please inform me ASAP if you can return me also the 1000 euro. Anyway I will enter a BIG NEGATIVE FEEDBACK ON TRIPADVISOR THAT I WILL NEVER TRUST AGAIN IN MY LIFE.

I accidentally double booked our vacation house and within an hour called the vacationer to explain what happened. Then I tried to get TripAdvisor to refund their money. I explained I wanted to be sure the vacationer was not charged and was allowed to make other plans. TripAdvisor said sure they could release his deposit but I would be charged $150. This was taken off my next payment from them. I just had finished a booking with them for 10K extended stay. And they charge me this ridiculous fee for something I took care of immediately. My concern was to quickly reach the vacationer. Their concern was to make money off them or me. I am not happy with this kind of service. My vacation home is very popular on all sites I have it listed on. I have not had this kind of service on other sites. I am very disappointed! I will be using other sites.

I am new to using TripAdvisor. I have had two guests to date, unfortunately, I had to cancel a 3-night reservation due to an emergency situation. I attempted to contact the guest two times, and offered an alternative place to stay, but received no response. In respect to the guest, I called TripAdvisor customer service to assist with this cancellation. The customer service representation was unfriendly, and said I would be charged a $150 cancellation fee. Shortly thereafter, I received a confirmation that my next reservation would be debited $150. There are several alternatives to TripAdvisor (VBRO/Airbnb) where customer service is easier to contact and more user-friendly. I have removed my listing from TripAdvisor.

It's so hard to contact TripAdvisor to make a complaint. They try to isolate their property owners and when you do manage to make contact an automated response is received, which in my case never answers my question. This leads to increased frustration. I found this email address which works currently - I assume they will shut it down before too long: customersupport@holidaylettings.co.uk.

You want objective and accurate reviews for traveling but TripAdvisor won't give you that because they suppress the bad reviews so that you never see them so their hotel reviews are WORTHLESS. Don't trust TripAdvisor.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.
  • Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.
  • Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.
  • Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.
  • In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.
  • Best for Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites