1.22/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

TripAdvisor

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

534 TripAdvisor Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I am a cottage owner located in Wales UK and the owner support with cancellations is awful. They make you pay 120 pounds if you have to cancel a booking. If you can use another agency do so as they will take all your hard earned money. They take a large percentage unlike other agencies.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Sadly this site/app started out as a great concept but as it got popular and more commercial its become rubbish! Reviews never submit, often removing genuine, helpful reviews and the app is rubbish. Too hard removed it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Attempted to challenge and remove an incorrect on my home. The reviewer never stayed in my property, and the review is on a home in another location. Have made countless efforts and spent many hours on the phone with these folks. These people are absolutely worthless. Don't waste your time or money.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Absolutely shocking experience. You can't exchange contact details with your tenants or property owner without paying extra above and beyond the high commissions you are already paying. Then they are supposed to give you a chance to review your guest - my guest was a money saving narcissistic repeatedly entitled nightmare who my caretakers had issues with. TripAdvisor are supposed to send a notification to review the guest but they never did - as it's my first experience I didn't know the process. Then by they lock you out of reviewing the guest after 14 days - you can only post a response to her (rubbish repeatedly) review.

Then you can't get any joy at all dealing with the Filipino and Indian call centers. Lying and shafting they shutting and hanging up and frustrating the customer. Hanging up when they can't answer the questions, dealing with lies, fishing, fudging, poor English, insisting that you have posted reviews or sent emails you have nevertheless sent, giving poor explanations, refusal to answer questions, extremely long hold times. Then they refuse to return calls, throw terms and conditions at you, refuse to give explanations, skip around and dance around. Turns out your guest can review you but you can't review your guest. At all, any review, of the customers is invisible to or anyone but they're the customer so whatever the point? Hours and hours sorting out the issues - absolutely horrendous. Avoid AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have booked a hotel in Cozumel - Mexico using TripAdvisor website in June/17 to be used in July 29,17 (only one night). My surprise was that when doing the check in the reservation was not found. I have called Tingo support right away and they attend me asked me to looking for another hotel nearby. I declined and paid from my pocket.

After, I called again Tingo who told that was not able to reach the hotel and asked me to wait his call back. Nothing happened. Days later I called again and nothing again. Then I gave some days and called again, and every time it was like first time I was calling. Nobody was aware of my case. Then, I started to send e-mails and now they are saying that my money will not given back because I paid for a room. Believe or not, they took my money for service that was not provided. This company. It is not trustful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I was unable to gain entry to the vacation rental in Pompano Beach that I booked for a week and paid $1200. This was Labor day weekend and we had been traveling by car all day with a little dog. It was very difficult to find another place to stay on a Saturday night. TripAdvisor customer help was a joke, I must have talked to 5 different people, some in Mumbai and some in the UK. They offered their $166 booking fee, saying that they had released my payment to the owner, which I declined. It turns out that the owner had died and the property was up for sale. I have had to hire an attorney to sue TripAdvisor for my $1200. I am a 77 year old widow who can't afford this loss. DON'T USE TRIPADVISOR!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I've tried multiple times to post a negative review for a restaurant on TripAdvisor. The restaurant complains, (a TripAdvisor customer service confirmed that it was a restaurant employee), and then they take it down. They will either state that my review goes against their terms of use, which it does not, or they will say that they believe the review was posted for the wrong business. The customer service rep, when asked how I could improve the review to keep it up, will tell me that they cannot give me that information. How does that even make sense? I've edited the review countless times, and I've tried changing every possible thing in the review.

In the end, they just aren't going to keep a negative review up if a restaurant complains. I've confirmed this, as my mother also had a terrible experience there and left a review of her own. It, of course, was deleted by TripAdvisor. Yelp is far from perfect, but I posted the exact same review on that site, and it is still there, as is my mother's review. If it were truly a problem with the reviews themselves, I don't believe that Yelp would have kept them up. I believe that a review site which picks and chooses only the favorable reviews in order to keep the businesses happy constitutes false advertising. It is not reliable, and the ratings cannot be trusted.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I booked a long stay at an apartment in Bergamo, Italy via Trip Advisor Rentals for summer 2017. Although the apartment description was fairly accurate, there were some issues with it. However, what really spoiled it for me and left me thinking I won't be using TripAdvisor again to book accommodation -- and probably not to leave reviews either -- was the support I received from customer service over a payment dispute. According to the TripAdvisor listing, and the rental confirmation, the payment covered all aspects of my stay, i.e. "There should be nothing extra for you to pay locally". So I was surprised when the host asked me for 90 euros 'tourist tax' as I would have expected that to be included.

I contacted support, and initially they agreed with me, and so they contacted the host but she argued with them and they took her side and came back to me and told me I had to pay. I continued to argue with the host, but she was really aggressive about it and without any backup from the customer service people, despite the fact that my contract was pretty clear that there should be no additional taxes to pay on arrival, I paid the host in cash because I didn't want to get into trouble with the local police. I complained formally to TripAdvisor afterwards but they are not at all supportive and the latest point they made was that, "If you paid cash to the host then you're not covered by our payment protection." But how else are you supposed to pay when the host insists and there's no credit card machine at the apartment? So, I'd suggest you read the terms very, very carefully and assume you will get ripped off like I did if you book through TripAdvisor.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

After my trip I submitted 2 reviews to TripAdvisor, however none was published. It was fully ignored. Without notification and my permission they removed my reviews. I wanted to talk to supervisor about this issue, he/she wasn't available. I mailed my complaint to the department handling reviews submission, waiting for the answer.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Some six months in advance my wife and I booked a hotel through TripAdvisor for a hotel in Wyoming for two nights prior to the total eclipse in August 2017 - the Comfort Inn in Wheatland, WY, within the path of totality. We received a confirmation from them and follow-up emails on our trip. Three weeks prior to our trip my wife decided to check the web for information on the hotel. To our shock, the website declared "hotel permanently closed." We called and discovered that, a few days before TripAdvisor took our reservation, the hotel was sold to new owners. The new owners had completely booked the hotel for the dates in question and had no record of our reservation.

We attempted to contact TripAdvisor without success - It seems they have NO way to register customer questions/requests/complaints. A week before our trip we received an automated email advising us that the reservation had been canceled. By then we had found new, much more expensive, accommodations. I would like to register my rating of TripAdvisor at ZERO, but where will people see such a rating? The website offers no possibility to tell even the company, much less the public, of the kind of fraudulent "service" that you may very likely receive in doing business with TripAdvisor.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I went through TripAdvisor to book a unit for nearly two weeks in Denver in June. Not only did TripAdvisor charge outlandish booking fees, but somehow a third party piggybacked on this booking and charged $14.99 for "booking fees" too. How did that happen? No one seems to know. I spent considerable time trying to have the later fees removed, but to no avail. As a consequence, I'll not be booking with this company again, but will book directly with all accommodations. What a rip-off!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I needed to contact a host of a residence that I had booked with TripAdvisor. We tried to communicate but TA does not allow either party to send email addresses or phone numbers. My host said that I could maybe contact TA and they would provide email or phone. Well it is impossible to talk to a human at TA. Only pre-recorded messages giving you some things that done fit into but some very specific niche. To this date me and host have been impossible to communicate. Ridiculous that a company of the size Of TA would not have a person to field a question you regarding the service they provide. Site is fine for reference, suggestions etc. Don't ever book through them. Useless is a problem arises.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I'm not a disgruntled service provider who got a bad review. Just someone who wants to say: TRIPADVISOR NOW SUCKS!! It used to be a cool site that you could count on for decent reviews of restaurants and places as you travel. No more. Now it's just another ** site trying to sell you hotel rooms. Which means 1: you can no longer trust reviews since they are selling stuff and have a big incentive to skew the reviews. 2. You can't even find the reviews you want since they are so busy trying to sell you crap. Since they are one of about 35 travel sales sites I give them 6 months before they go under. When they were a review site, it was great. Way better than Yelp, but they decided to tank that business and try to sell stuff. The owl is also super stupid. Who is running this ** company?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I've been operating my Restaurant for over 4 yrs. In that time we've accumulated close to 100 reviews. Woke up one morning to find that we somehow only have 9 reviews which took us from one of the top 5 restaurants down to the bottom 3. Also TripAdvisor lets individuals post more than once and we have a troll who is either related to our competition or has a personal vendetta against the establishment who posts once or twice a year ripping the restaurant apart and not giving an accurate description of the establishment. Do I really have to waste money to hire an attorney to fight this crap???

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I recently submitted my review of a hotel and their valet car service on TripAdvisor. I had a terrible experience that could have been alleviated but the hotel management completely has ignored phone calls and emails. I don't normally post reviews but I was so taken aback that I wrote the review to warn other patrons - this experience could easily happen to someone else. I submitted the review to TripAdvisor and received an email to thank me for the submission and it would be reviewed. Reviewed for what? There were no obscenities or biased thoughts. Just facts. The result - it would not be printed. I'm thinking maybe this "unbiased" site might actually be getting some hotel kickbacks. Beware when reading all the reviews - might not be entirely accurate.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Guest checks in and at 11:30 pm I receive a complaint from another guest about the noise coming from outside his door. I go outside and find the guest had taking our furniture outside and was holding a conversation with 4 others. I told the guest that we had a complaint about noise and that to solve the problem they would have to go in their motel rooms. Guest made a very negative comment on TripAdvisor about my requesting him to take the noise inside the rooms. I requested TripAdvisor to take this review off. They said no.

Another occassion; Guest's husband had a fight and beat his wife, the wife came in the motel office at around 11:00 pm and asked that we call the police because he was beating her. We called the police, they came, arrested the husband for family assault, another guest wrote a review on TripAdvisor with a 1 rating (worst) because the police came and woke him up. The owner, got in between the fighting couple so he could not beat her anymore, then trespassed the man who did the beating but let the guest stay. How is this a fair review?

Unfortunately, TripAdvisor has big clout with the general public. Every bad review can cost the motel thousands of dollars. True and valid reasons are fine. The ones that are in no control of the motel are not fine. They need to not always let a reviewer hurt a motel when the motel had not caused or mishandled a situation.

I want these two very poor, very irresponsible reviews off TripAdvisor. We run a top notch motel, not a huge motel but a very nice customer oriented customer service business. Everything we do is for the customer/guests' interests. We always try to solve problems the best we can, pricing is good and no one ever gets cheated in any way ever. A guest has a complaint, we fix it.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

At 1:15pm today, Hawaiian time, I received a call from Hawaiian Parasailing stating that their car was at my hotel to pick me my husband up for our excursion! We had NEVER BOOKED ANYTHING WITH TRIPADVISOR OR HAWAIIAN PARASAILING!!! And we had already been parasailing today at 11:00a.m., through Extreme Parasailing! I booked directly with them last Friday in person. Refund every dime you have charged me immediately!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

They cancelled my booking because I refused to answer sensitive financial info over the phone. The booking had already been verified and paid for by PayPal with a receipt. They emailed me 2 phone numbers to call one was not in this country, the other was listed as a possible scam number by Google.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Buyer Beware! FlipKey will take your money and then cancel your reservation just prior to arriving leaving you stranded! That is what happened to me. I spent 7 days talking with 7 different people on the phone to get my money back, but still did not have a place to stay. They are very nice on the phone, but do not help you resolve the issue. They kept saying they would find me a different place to stay, but they never did. I ended up using VRBO which found me a place immediately and was very responsive. Never, never book through FlipKey!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Never book a vacation rental on TripAdvisor!! I booked a vacation rental for my 50th birthday and one month before the trip, the owner canceled. There was NO ONE at TripAdvisor to help me. I had family and friends flying in from around the world to celebrate my birthday and didn't have a place for anyone to stay. You cannot talk to a person. You cannot even email TripAdvisor for assistance. No response. NOTHING. TripAdvisor can care less about their customers. They had no problem taking my money and they had no interest in helping me. A bad, bad company to work with. I have gotten an attorney to help me prosecute them for fraud and breach of contract.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I wrote a very honest review about a experience I had with a bed and breakfast who had taken my deposit of over £70 and I had to cancel the holiday due to my mother being diagnosed with terminal cancer and she was given just a short time with us, so 3 weeks prior to the holiday I cancelled it through Booking.com who asked my reason for cancelling. I told them my reason and they said that they would put it to the owners to see if I could get my deposit back, I knew that there was no chance because when I first booked it I thought it was like most you could cancel prior and not have to pay but when I looked at my bank account the deposit had already been taken.

I did complain to booking.com and they said I should have read the small print. Whilst most allow you to cancel and there is no charge this company I booked with do. So when I had to cancel because of mum's illness and my deposit was not given back I wrote a review on TripAdvisor stating I could not comment on the place itself but I could give my experience on having to cancel and lose my deposit because if your mother dying is not a good reason I don't know what is. They did publish it but with a day they said I had to make it accurate before they could publish it. I don't know how more accurate I could be. My review was honest and 100% truthful so really lost faith in Trip Advisor and won't be looking onto it anymore, I thought that was the thing about it truthful and honest opinions.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

For several years I have taken the time to write numerous reviews of restaurants, hotels and attractions on TripAdvisor. Recently, their site bombards me with unwanted advertising, some of which is in the form of videos which cannot be stopped for 10 seconds. The company is impossible to contact either by email or phone. TripAdvisor has gone from being a service to travelers to another shameless sales and marketing venture. Perhaps Consumer Affairs can relay my frustration (and that of many others) to TripAdvisor. Unless there is two way communication with them, they have received my last review.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

We have never said we were not going to honor the booking, where did you get this idea? You have not confirmed yet the request of canceling our automatic renewal. You have not reimbursed the correct amount of our subscription of 399€, we are still waiting. And you have not addressed the fact that once the traveler paid his deposit, his contact information will be shared with the owner. Read the owners terms of use, and apply them!!! ( 3.6.1.6 and 3.6.1.7). You are wrong, and you are illegally breaking the terms of your contract! We have spent days with this reservation, a real nightmare, that's why we want to be quickly out of your site. Today! While reading comments about your site we can see we are not the only one going through these persecutions. We used to leave comments on your site about hotels or restaurants to help others customers, but we certainly will stop that also, we don't want to hear anymore about TripAdvisor.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Booked a place, arrived with my family, only to find out they did not have the two rooms we booked (confirmed). When I left a review of the establishment that did not honor the booking, (poor review of course), they (TripAdvisor) appear to have removed the negative review. Dishonest in order to keep favor with the places that they promote I suspect.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I had been trying to get an error on my business listing fixed. They have no phone number to talk to a representative. If you call the customer service line it directs you to use the website help link. After 7 emails back and forth with the rep the problem still was not fixed. I sent an email requesting her to call me because she was obviously not understanding the issue. At that point they closed my case and I tried to reopen but now I get an email back that they will not accept the email. And to top it all off they have now flagged all the reviews I try to write on other businesses even good ones. I got an email saying my review was not accepted and that I was posting fraudulent reviews!!! Wth!!! Horrible, horrible company. I will recommend everyone I know to Google first.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

We had a very poor experience at a B&B and have submitted five versions of a review to TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor continues to delete each review. I have read and re-read the TA review guidelines and if you call TA they cannot and will not help. The owners of an establishment can apparently review your submission and if it is unfavorable, they can then ask TA to remove it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Business listing provides the words "business website" in the smallest font possible. Direct booking not easily accessed. It is my feeling that TripAdvisor is committed to Expedia etc... Maybe they get a cut of the 18% commission. I asked months ago to cancel my business listing, they assured me when my 12 month contract was up it would be cancelled. I got a notice today that is has been renewed today for 12 months. I am 4 phone calls deep into this now. Each call with periods of being on hold and redirected and now I sits and waits. Oh wait no I do not sit, I run a bed and breakfast which means I am a busy gal with much to do.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

We rented a condo in Orange Beach from Flipkey which is owned by TripAdvisor. Found out they add a hefty fee to the home owner's requested amount. When we were dissatisfied with our unit after paying more than we should have for a run down place that looked great in the pictures, we received no help. Do not rent through them. They then turn it over to a local leasing agent who adds their fee and doesn't help you either.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I paid over $3,000.00 to advertise with vacationhomerentals.com and TripAdvisor bought them out. I paid for a 2 years plan which end in 2018. TripAdvisor is pushing me into signing up for online booking, which I have my own website for taking payments so they deactivated all of my accounts. I called my credit card company and since it was over 60 days I'm out of luck. So I'm out 3,000.00 dollars. Do not trust them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I have written a few reviews on TripAdvisor over the years, and never had a problem with my reviews being posted. In this case, I wrote a review on TripAdvisor about an expected charge to our credit card after check out by Nugget Casino Resort, Sparks NV. Basically, at check in we were not informed to expect any additional room charges so when we received notification of a charge from our credit card company a day after check out, we were surprised and concerned it was in error. To summarize, the TripAdvisor review stated that we attempted to contact Nugget but kept being place on hold. My review was intended to alert other travelers of this fee that is charged after check out. We finally reached someone at Nugget who explained it was a resort fee.

About two weeks later, I attempted to go back into TripAdvisor to update (or delete and repost) my review to explain that it was a legitimate charge, but thought they should have told us to expect the charge (which would have avoided the unnecessary calls). That's when I learned that my review was "pending review." I emailed TripAdvisor and was initially told that they were unable to locate my review. Then I was told that it didn't meet their posting guidelines/policies. I read the guidelines but couldn't figure out what was triggering it to be pulled. The TripAdvisor representative "could not" give me the specific reason. So, I wrote a revised review on July 29, 2017. I did state that this was the second review submitted but that the first one wasn't posted. Interestingly on August 1, the second review was "flagged" and not posted, and I received the same "integrity response" from TripAdvisor again.

I can only guess what caused my reviews of Nugget Casino Resort to be "flagged." As mentioned, TripAdvisor will not give me the reason(s), and the links to their posting policies/guidelines didn't help. TripAdvisor, besides the system generated email below, hasn't attempted to resolve the issue with me. I am now considering deleting my TripAdvisor account.

TripAdvisor.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.
    • Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.
    • Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.
    • Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.
    • In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.
    • Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs