TripAdvisor

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

For several years I have taken the time to write numerous reviews of restaurants, hotels and attractions on TripAdvisor. Recently, their site bombards me with unwanted advertising, some of which is in the form of videos which cannot be stopped for 10 seconds. The company is impossible to contact either by email or phone. TripAdvisor has gone from being a service to travelers to another shameless sales and marketing venture. Perhaps Consumer Affairs can relay my frustration (and that of many others) to TripAdvisor. Unless there is two way communication with them, they have received my last review.

I had been trying to get an error on my business listing fixed. They have no phone number to talk to a representative. If you call the customer service line it directs you to use the website help link. After 7 emails back and forth with the rep the problem still was not fixed. I sent an email requesting her to call me because she was obviously not understanding the issue. At that point they closed my case and I tried to reopen but now I get an email back that they will not accept the email. And to top it all off they have now flagged all the reviews I try to write on other businesses even good ones. I got an email saying my review was not accepted and that I was posting fraudulent reviews!!! Wth!!! Horrible, horrible company. I will recommend everyone I know to Google first.

We had a very poor experience at a B&B and have submitted five versions of a review to TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor continues to delete each review. I have read and re-read the TA review guidelines and if you call TA they cannot and will not help. The owners of an establishment can apparently review your submission and if it is unfavorable, they can then ask TA to remove it.

Business listing provides the words "business website" in the smallest font possible. Direct booking not easily accessed. It is my feeling that TripAdvisor is committed to Expedia etc... Maybe they get a cut of the 18% commission. I asked months ago to cancel my business listing, they assured me when my 12 month contract was up it would be cancelled. I got a notice today that is has been renewed today for 12 months. I am 4 phone calls deep into this now. Each call with periods of being on hold and redirected and now I sits and waits. Oh wait no I do not sit, I run a bed and breakfast which means I am a busy gal with much to do.

We rented a condo in Orange Beach from Flipkey which is owned by TripAdvisor. Found out they add a hefty fee to the home owner's requested amount. When we were dissatisfied with our unit after paying more than we should have for a run down place that looked great in the pictures, we received no help. Do not rent through them. They then turn it over to a local leasing agent who adds their fee and doesn't help you either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

I paid over $3,000.00 to advertise with vacationhomerentals.com and TripAdvisor bought them out. I paid for a 2 years plan which end in 2018. TripAdvisor is pushing me into signing up for online booking, which I have my own website for taking payments so they deactivated all of my accounts. I called my credit card company and since it was over 60 days I'm out of luck. So I'm out 3,000.00 dollars. Do not trust them.

I have written a few reviews on TripAdvisor over the years, and never had a problem with my reviews being posted. In this case, I wrote a review on TripAdvisor about an expected charge to our credit card after check out by Nugget Casino Resort, Sparks NV. Basically, at check in we were not informed to expect any additional room charges so when we received notification of a charge from our credit card company a day after check out, we were surprised and concerned it was in error. To summarize, the TripAdvisor review stated that we attempted to contact Nugget but kept being place on hold. My review was intended to alert other travelers of this fee that is charged after check out. We finally reached someone at Nugget who explained it was a resort fee.

About two weeks later, I attempted to go back into TripAdvisor to update (or delete and repost) my review to explain that it was a legitimate charge, but thought they should have told us to expect the charge (which would have avoided the unnecessary calls). That's when I learned that my review was "pending review." I emailed TripAdvisor and was initially told that they were unable to locate my review. Then I was told that it didn't meet their posting guidelines/policies. I read the guidelines but couldn't figure out what was triggering it to be pulled. The TripAdvisor representative "could not" give me the specific reason. So, I wrote a revised review on July 29, 2017. I did state that this was the second review submitted but that the first one wasn't posted. Interestingly on August 1, the second review was "flagged" and not posted, and I received the same "integrity response" from TripAdvisor again.

I can only guess what caused my reviews of Nugget Casino Resort to be "flagged." As mentioned, TripAdvisor will not give me the reason(s), and the links to their posting policies/guidelines didn't help. TripAdvisor, besides the system generated email below, hasn't attempted to resolve the issue with me. I am now considering deleting my TripAdvisor account.

I own a home on a lake in Branson, MO, USA area. I was recently sent a note by TripAdvisor of going around their referral system. I have never done this before to anyone - let alone TripAdvisor. In addition, they froze my account without input from me. They also wanted me to tell them who else I use for listing my property. To this, I suggest, they may be responsible for "restraint of trade," which is illegal in the US. I refused to give them this info.

I will say of other sites I use to "show" my property, they are the only ones who collect from visiting guests well in advance - in some cases as much as a year, but will not forward the money to the owners until the day after the guest arrives. In short, they use the guests' or my money for up to a year in some cases. My risk is having the guest cancel at the last minute for which I get nothing AND I cannot advertise availability expecting the guest to use our home. I have asked to speak to someone in authority (apparently out of Oxford, England) to which they would not agree. TripAdvisor uses aggressive business practices, and is NOT competitive with companies like VRBO (owned by HomeAway) and do not honor the needs of those who own the properties...

They force you to download an app in order to write a review. Cheap shot right there. To top it off it doesn't work. Customer service is condescending, rude and incompetent. I'd advise people to steer clear from them. Also try reading other reviews... I have not seen a review higher than one star on here... Manipulative **... Avoid at all costs.

The Country Pathfinders Motor In in Dalby Australia is a fantastic place to stay. The rooms are fresh, very clean and very comfortable. The proprietors are caring and ever helpful. The location is terrific, close to Dalby's main attractions. The hosts cooks a wonderful breakfast as well.

The commercials for TripAdvisor and Trivago increase the volume of their commercials. If I doze off watching a show on MSNBC, I am blasted out of my dozing by their commercials. It's extremely annoying. I make a point to not use products or services from companies that do this. I think they get away with it, because the loudness is brief. It's like say saying "Boo!" to someone sleeping. It may be brief, but once it happens you're awake. But it's so obvious what they are doing. It seems the CALM act is just ignored. So I plan to ignore companies that ignore the act and support companies that follow it. Though it will probably take me a while to figure out who tries to follow the spirit of the act. In the meantime it is very easy for me to determine the violators of the spirit of the act and avoid their products and services.

I wrote a negative review about an experience I had in Ireland back in September 2016. In July 2017 (ten months after I wrote the review), I received an email from Tripadvisor advising me that my review did not meet the guidelines because it wasn't "authentic guest reviews of first hand experiences or second hand information or hearsay."

I wrote to customer support to ask what this meant and why it took Tripadvisor 10 months to advise me of this. Emmanuel ** responded and repeated the guidelines verbatim, but did not address the time lag. I asked again to explain what this meant because my review was a reflection of my experience and to address the time lag. Bistra replied this time, again, accusing my review of hearsay and said that Tripadvisor receives thousands of emails each minute and it is very hard to check every review at the moment when it was sent.

I find this very unusual that Tripadvisor would single out this one review of mine (I've posted both positive and negative reviews over the year) and then advise me 10 months after I posted it. I also find it odd that Tripadvisor is contesting my experience when everything I wrote was based on first-hand knowledge and not hearsay. That's when I googled and found all of these other recent experiences people have had with Tripadvisor. This surprised me because I thought it was a reputable service, but their pattern of singling out people's negative reviews, lack of customer service, and their rental/lodging mismanagement has confirmed my decision not to use them anymore.

TripAdvisor is a worldwide travel website, that most of travelers they trust in this website, but they need to improve. This web is not fair for hotelier, most of travelers or anyone else can review the hotel in any way but the hotel can not review about a travelers what is their character and attitude during they occupied at hotel. Some of them they threaten to the hotel that they will giving a bad review to a hotel through TripAdvisor. In case they want to get any refunds or compensations. The TripAdvisor they also unfair, them self not allow some else rating them through any social Medias. How fair to the people? As now one of the best in hospitality "Airbnb" they are working in the right way. They are fair all of 3 part "Hotel, Traveller and airbnb" we can scoring each other. This a success way for WIN WIN Solution. Hope TripAdvisor will change their walking way in soonest.

Sadly from a business point of view TripAdvisor does little to protect business from customers who have "An axe to Grind" and feel they are badly done by. Even to the extent people who have been refused access to businesses and properties then get online and make false stories to discredit businesses through TripAdvisor. Contacting TripAdvisor is a waste of time as you are put on hold for 45+ minutes and often get cut off. Customer service for TripAdvisor is very poor as the only person you will talk to is the person who answers the phone. (If you’re lucky enough to get someone on the phone) Most complaints will go no further than your initial call or complaint.

Had booked a vacation rental through TripAdvisor for my son's wedding. 2 weeks before event I learned through email that rental had been cancelled without explanation or phone call even though fees had been paid in full months before. Could the rental the night before? What protection do you have if paid in full and still can have no explanation. Cancellation 14 days before booking? Advise against TripAdvisor.

I have a review I have been trying to get posted but the site or the APP have been failing and have not allowed me to even submit the post, I immediately informed TripAdvisor support. So far it has been 2 weeks and they have done nothing... they keep sending me responses like, "did you restart your computer? Did you clear your cached items?" After I tell them yes plus many many other things I have tried along with screen shots, they have done nothing. I even call them and talk to a live person since the email route does absolutely nothing, she informs me she is going to escalate the issue and will get back to me with the progress. Then I email about everyday asking for an update on the escalation, I have heard nothing in a week... the TripAdvisor support team is worthless.

In Aug 2016 I rented a Villa in Italy (Trulli Vacanze IL Bouganville, Ceglie Messapica, Puglia) We used TripAdvisor to source a good property to rent. We found that most properties were all 4-5 stars. Only when we arrived at the place we picked on the Trip Advisor's website we find out how misleading the website was. The website had a beautiful crystal clean pool and jacuzzi but when we got there the pool had green algae and the jacuzzi did not work. The place was advertised with A/C and it had one small unit in the hallway where if you ran the A/C the whole house circuit breaker would trip, and the property was in complete darkness and you were locked in the property because the gate would not work to let you out.

After this it had no cell service because of the cell tower signal being weak or a landline phone to call for help. Even today this property and others are advertised as a five stars. I feel I totally got scammed and any faith in TripAdvisor is lost where I canceled my account and I would not put any faith into their guarantee payment plan. This was a real eye opener. Renter Beware!

They do not stand by their own rental contract which they give you the option of using. They don't expect any normal behavior or actions from guests and if you cancel their reservation because of it, you will have to pay the $150 cancellation fee even though there is no reason for it. You simply asked them to refund the guest. I had a guest show up on my street to check in and he had 12 guys on motorcycles lining my street. I asked him to have them leave and he just argued with me. It is my responsibility to tell someone what is and is not HOA compliant and all he did was argue with me. So I canceled his reservation and I'm getting charged for it, even though it was in direct violation of several items in the rental agreement and in general, poor judgement, disruptive to the neighbors, etc. Do NOT list your home with them.

We have a condo vacation property that we had listed for years on VactionHomeRentals.Com. That organization was great to deal with, the Web interface was easy to use, their Support Dept. was very easy to work with. Since they have been sold to TripAdvisor, doing anything with our listing has become a living HELL. Today someone named Godfry called us and told us that our listing had been taken offline because we were not following their Terms and Conditions. The discussion was very circular and he kept changing his statements to us when we questioned him.

We paid for a 2 year subscription back in Feb 2016 a ridiculous amount of $718, which was probably close to 400 - 500% higher than what we were paying with VacationHomeRentals. When we told him to close us out and refund the balance of our subscription, he refused, stating that we 'had' to correct the 'problems' with our account and then it would be online again. The items that he said were in violation, were in fact properly in place on our listing. He said that he put in a request for us to re-activate our account. We got an email from them saying they had changed our account to a 'Free Listing' Account. And then we got another email saying that our 'Free Listing' Account had been changed to an 'Annual Subscription', and they wanted us to Pay all over again for something we've already paid for.

Really!!! This outfit is a total SCAM. STAY AWAY from it if you were previously using VacationHomeRentals. There's other sites out there where you can advertise your vacation properties. We WILL NOT pay them one more penny and as soon as our subscription is finished (Feb 2018) we will close out from TripAdvisor. In fact this has left such a bad taste in our mouths about TripAdvisor, that we won't even post reviews of restaurants/accommodations when we vacation. We won't use TripAdvisor for anything in the future.

I subscribe to alerts for lower airfares. I get these on my email. There has never been a time when the advertised fare was actually available. I've been subscribing to this service for about two years. At least it's free. I guess you get what you pay for.

I searched TripAdvisor for a one night stay in New Paltz, NY. The prices below came up. Hampton Inn New Paltz. SAVE $8 $139. Booking.com $131. Expedia.com $139. CheapTickets $139. When I tried the links to book a room the price changed to $262. I tried the links multiple times over the course of an hour. TripAdvisor should be monitoring the businesses it allows on its site to ensure customers get the prices that are advertised.

We booked a vacation rental through TripAdvisor but we were forced to cancel due to medical issues. The cancellation was done well in advance and the owner understood and agreed to a full refund. TripAdvisor refunded part of the money to the owner but not all of it. I tried many times without success to get in touch with TripAdvisor to find out why the refund amount was short. It was like reaching Bernie Madoff's answering machine so after a while I gave up. I guess that they pocketed part of the refund. A real first class company.

TripAdvisor needs to be investigated. Without a doubt, they block bad reviews for the big hotels. This to me is fraud. These hotels pay a fee and TripAdvisor gets paid to block bad reviews and I have no doubt they write fake reviews to get people to these hotels. I wrote a review recently about the Loews Royal Pacific Hotel in Orlando. And my reviews was to the point about how much of a rip off this hotel is. And they blocked it stating that I'm accusing the Hotel of Fraud!! WHAT? This is a lame excuse just to block my review. And now that I've read these reviews here, HOLY **, I was right!! I hope people see these reviews before using TripAdvisor and Loews Royal Pacific Hotel in Universal. $400+ a night for a dump. Days Inn has better rooms. Don't be fooled by these hotels ads. You'll be sorry. Definitely stay away from TripAdvisor.

TripAdvisor refuses to print my negative experiences with hotels and restaurants. I read a review about the Mylo Hotel on Geneva in Daly City, CA. The review wasn't too bad, so I booked 2 nights at this hotel. But the terrible room and experience I had staying there will never be told to other travelers since TripAdvisor won't publish my bad 1 star review about this place! (Weird concrete, sandpaper feeling floor, only about 12 parking spaces for 36 rooms and the spaces are always full of cars (including employees). Only parking for guests is out on the main street in a bad part of city where druggies, hookers and other nasty night people roam the streets. Bathroom toilet cannot be sat down on in my room... Only works for standing and peeing.

In a bizarre act of ignorance, the hotel owner allowed this bathroom door to open up and bang directly against the front middle of the toilet bowl. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SIT ON THE TOILET AND DO YOUR BUSINESS!!! I had to try to sit sideways on the toilet and you don't want to read about the mess that this caused me! Noisy party people in rooms all around me. I tried to check out after one night, but hotel reminded me that TripAdvisor guaranteed my reservation would be paid for 2 nights with no refunds.

Another negative review I wrote was about Risto's Restaurant in Statesville, NC. TripAdvisor keeps sending me stupid replies to my written, negative review. They keep stonewalling my review by saying "You're almost done" or "finish your review", etc. This back and forth email crap has gone on for 3 weeks now regarding this restaurant that left soggy fruit flies in my drink from the bar and bad food. And again... TripAdvisor will not warn other people reading their reviews about negative experiences.

I have placed 130+ reviews on TripAdvisor. Each time I get on the site it becomes more and more annoying. I often try to post multiple reviews after a trip and, lately, it has started making you sign in 2-3 times after EACH review. Also each time you change screens it requires a sign-in. It is now next to impossible to add businesses that aren't already there. Short suggested reviews that are completed never show up. Forget trying to contact them about anything. I would have told them directly of the issues but there is no place to do it and I got tired of signing in NINE times trying to find a location to communicate. I am not going to be a inspired to review in the future and I have never used them to book because of others who have reported issues with booking. Reviews are the basis of your business. Make it easy to do, like it used to be. Not a royal pain!

I paid for a vacation rental in Florida at 5 miles Disney, spacious villa on January 10, 2017. The full amount was pending on my credit card immediately. I received a text message at 11:48AM stating the owner has edited your booking. The owner asked for almost $100 more than what was quoted on TripAdvisor's site. I was trying to stay in my budget, so I deleted one day off my vacation. I paid the price that was advertised for the second time. However, at 12:39PM, I received another text message stating that the owner has edited my booking. I paid the owners asking price once again. After paying the additional fee twice, I received a text message again at 12:55PM. However, this time it stated "Unfortunately, the owner has canceled your booking". After all that I went through with this particular vacation rental, I figured that's fine, I'll just look for another one.

So I did. I found another vacation rental in Florida and paid part of the fee for that one assuming that the money from the first vacation rental would be refunded to me since the owner canceled my booking. I checked my account the same day and the money was still pending. I checked my account the very next day and the money was still pending. I decided to contact the owner of the vacation rental to ask for my refund. I sent the owner a message. The owner told me that she didn't cancel my booking. I explained to her that I received a message stating that "Unfortunately, Sai (The owner) has canceled your booking." I advised her that because of that, I found another one.

Neither the owner of the property nor TripAdvisor is willing to give me back my money. I lost $657 on this trip and my trip is still canceled. My trip was scheduled for July 4th and in less than 2 days, I lost out on my money. Then, to top it off, my next scheduled trip that I put a $217.92 deposit on is scheduled with TripAdvisor as well. I don't feel comfortable giving these people my money nor doing business with them. They are a fraudulent company. However, their customer service department told me that I will lose out on that money as well if I cancel. They are extremely unprofessional and unreliable. Horrible company.

Do not use TripAdvisor for booking your reservation!!!! They advertise there are not any fees to use their site. Totally wrong!!! I recently booked a cottage for a week in Prince Edward Island, Canada and only found out after paying a 50% deposit plus the booking fee that they charged a booking fee of $163.13, or 14.5% of the weekly rate for the cottage. The remaining 50% had to be paid 28 days before the scheduled check-in date. If I were to cancel, I would be refunded only half of the cottage rate and none of the booking fee. If I did not pay the second 50% twenty-eight days prior to check-in, they would automatically cancel my reservation. If I had booked directly with the owner, I would have avoided the booking fee, would have paid a deposit of 30% rather than 50% and would have paid the remainder only when I checked in. A fairly expensive lesson!!

On top of all this, TripAdvisor doesn't pay the owner until I check in, so they have the use of my money for a couple of months at no cost to them. What a bunch of scammers! In actual fact, I had already contacted the owner and left a voicemail requesting the reservation, but when I didn't hear from them right away because they were not at home for the day, I was concerned about losing their last available week in July. TripAdvisor appeared as a pop-up on my computer, advertising no fees for using their site, so I decided to book through them. TripAdvisor contacted the owner via texting to their mobile and the owner accepted the booking with them prior to their arriving home and getting my voicemail. Live and learn. I recommend very strongly against using TripAdvisor for any bookings!!!!

I searched for gites to rent on TripAdvisor and booked one that promised 4 bedrooms in the area we wanted to go for the weekend. The cost was the similar to another gite I had booked in March this year. TripAdvisor were prompt in taking my payment and sending me a receipt confirming the 4 bedroom property had been booked. I spoke with the owner by email and she said she would wait at the property to give us the key.

On arriving at the property I was surprised to find the owner and all her family and 2 huge dogs all there waiting. She showed us round and then showed us our room and told us there were a few students and a family staying in the other rooms. My friend and I did not want to share a room let alone a bed and after telling the owner we needed 2 rooms we ended up leaving and finding a hotel. By the time we returned home and I contacted tripadvisor the owner had updated her listing to say it was a B&B. I emailed them my receipt showing that I had booked the 4 bedroom place but they refused a refund as 'the advert is now quite clear'. I feel that I have been conned. Beware of tripadvisor.

DO NOT do business with these idiots. I am on the national do not call list, yet these people have been totally harassing my family and I on our phone. They call OVER AND OVER AND OVER, 1 minute apart!! I had to block them with the phone company, and I also filed a complaint with the FCC. I went to their site and tried to email them, but they don't have any way for you to contact them, everything is totally automated. I can't find the email or phone number for this place.

My office made a reservation in Ramada Plaza in Holtsville, NY based on fake review on Tripadvisor. The hotel is disaster. I say it because I be here for the whole month so I wrote review and submitted to be published in their website. They have rejected twice so far. They want positive review so they can sell rooms to customers and negative review means no money. Those reviews that say good things about this hotel are fakes. If anybody has a doubt check this hotel and find out yourself.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.
  • Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.
  • Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.
  • Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.
  • In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.
  • Best for Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites