TripAdvisor
1.39/5
Based on 121 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

TripAdvisor

Last updated: May 19, 2018

594 TripAdvisor Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 19, 2018

As a business owner of a Restaurant who never placed their business on TripAdvisor for reasons of dealing with them in the past, it is a shame we are held to ransom. Some of the reviews that are placed on here are very one-sided and it amazes me how my business has 5-star ratings on every other platform except this one... Everything is quite negative. Yet when I approached TripAdvisor to remove one review as it really had nothing to do with the business they said no. It is websites like this that are closing small business as people being naive, rely on these reviews. It's about time this company was closed down as they creating more damage than good. If I could give it a NO star I would.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Without my authorization, TripAdvisor removed my CORRECT phone number from my TA business listing and put THEIR OWN number in so they could track customers trying to call me. They try to make it look like they are helping you by doing this, but if you DO NOT sign up for their extortionist rates, when people try to call the TA number they have listed, the call is a disconnected number. Had brochures (my fault) designed and printed by a company that used TripAdvisor comments and info with the WRONG number everywhere. Chamber of Commerce had wrong number too because of TA and had all their printed material with the WRONG phone number. Even if your business is #1 in the industry, other business can pay extra money to be listed ABOVE the #1 business. This company has really gotten out of hand holds me hostage by my own business. It's a big rip off scam. SMH!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2018

TripAdvisor has gone downhill in recent years. The major issue is that since having entered the competitive market of booking hotels, how can they at-the-same-time also rate/compare hotels? This is a clear conflict of interest. There are other serious issues: It is not possible to contact them - if it was I would send them a copy of this. For example, how can incorrect information be rectified? Or if they somehow decide (in error) that you are an owner or have an interest of an establishment (which I experienced), there is nothing one can do.

Reviews for a certain location accumulate for too long a period of time so the “currency” of the review becomes meaningless. Even if a restaurant changes hands, for example, like from an independent owner to a chain - the review stats keep accumulating. That makes no sense. I appreciate the dilemma of fake reviews “for hire”, but I have had too many honest reviews rejected so that I’ve almost given up sending reviews. There must be a better way to screen reviews, but it appears they don’t care.

There is no reasonable attempt at categorization. For example, all inclusive resorts are included with hotels which may not even have a restaurant. It seems to me that various “screens” would be more helpful. I could go on, but why bother when TripAdvisor seems to have become more interested in being a booking agent. I guess I will join the ranks of those who “use” TripAdvisor less and less with the passage of time, as they have lost their way in doing what was their primary purpose and excelled in - it’s too sad!!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I recently took a Royal Caribbean Liberty of Seas cruise and was paid for a TripAdvisor tour of Roatan. The ship couldn't dock there because the day before the dock was destroyed. Following TripAdvisor protocol for refunds, I notified TripAdvisor and the local company the day the dock was destroyed, when I learned of it, and the local company said the money would be refunded. TripAdvisor never responded. When I got back and saw I didn't receive the refund, I called TripAdvisor and was told the money would be credited within 2 days. It wasn't. Four days later I got an email saying that the matter was being "investigated" and I might get the money in 10 days. The whole story about the dock was on the news. I followed TripAdvisor protocol and was lied to and still don't have the refund. Corporate theft as far as I'm concerned!

Original review: April 17, 2018

We arrived at Villa Lion 1 in Broward County in Fort Lauderdale on the 7th April 2018, late afternoon, and due to stay until the 13th April. The owner sent us a code to enter the property, we never had the pleasure of meeting Taylor. The issues, firstly the accomadation quite clearly hadn't been maintained and wasn't clean, the stair banister was broken and parts missing, electrical plug socket broken, the blinds in the bedroom were broken, the air conditioning upstairs didn't work and taped up and the owner forgot to mention that it's directly over a flight path, so the house literally shook every 10 minutes. It was getting late and decided to tackle the owner and the agent in the morning.

We ate at the accommodation and put all the soiled plates into the dishwasher and switched it on, after 5 minutes water was leaking all over the floor, so we had to switch it off, we went to bed, our daughters bed linen were stained and smelled and quite clearly hadn't been washed. The airplane take offs went on until 23:30 and started again at 6:30 AM. This wasn't how we wanted to spend our vacation.

We contacted Taylor by email to air our grievances and contacted TripAdvisor who we booked the accommodation with. The TripAdvisor agent said we would have to take it up with the owner. When Taylor finally responded, he blamed the last occupants who must have caused the damage, and would get the linen changed, but in his reply also said it had been cleaned. We did take pictures to say otherwise and a video of the airplane noise from the bedroom. And looking at some of the recent reviews, people complaining about bed bugs and dirty linen, we asked for a partial refund as this accommodation wasn't as advertised. In our opinion there were safety issues and the noise from the airplanes passing overhead was unbearable. We also asked the TripAdvisor agent for advice, we heard nothing from either. We decided to look for alternative accomadation.

We sent an email advising that we weren't staying to Taylor and TripAdvisor, we have not had a response from Taylor, but he's got the cheek to charge us $145 for cleaning and all the taxes and the full rental, but we did received an apology from TripAdvisor but they are unable to help or do anything, and to contact the owner regarding any refund. This is our 7th visit to the Florida area and never had the cause to complain, Do we have any rights?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: April 15, 2018

In December 2017, I booked a vacation rental on TripAdvisor for a property in Davao City, Philippines for May 23 through June 6, 2018. My booking number is **. I contacted the owner of the property via TA messenger on April 7, 2018 and asked if it would be possible to change. The owner said that to go ahead and make those changes because she didn't know how to change them on her end. TripAdvisor has nothing on their website about changing dates on your booking. The only thing that is said is that I will lose my deposit if I cancel. No guidance from the owner nor TripAdvisor.

After a couple of hours of searching for info, we had decided that it was not worth the risk of losing our deposit so we decided to keep the booking. It was then that the owner sent me a message that she booked the property for some of the nights that we booked. The owner seemed apologetic and wanted me to keep the booking for the whole 14 days and she said that she would reimburse me out of her own pocket for some days of the trip. My wife and I did not feel confident with the owner. We didn't want to give her more money and cause further damages, so we appealed to TA to allow us to cancel the whole trip and book with another TA property listed. They would not allow us. They said that it was up to the owner and the owner would not agree to allow us to cancel (what TA said), TripAdvisor nor the owner were any help at all. The response from TA that they would move the call up the ladder.

Every time I would call back (at least 10 calls in the past 8 days) I had to repeat my entire story to them every time I called instead of TA looking at their notes. I concluded that this was a business strategy because wanted you to say something inconsistent with the notes, so they may dispute our story. I got this from at least 10 calls to them.

In a nutshell, BUYER BEWARE, because it appears by my communication with TA and that they demonstrated that the owners are a more valued customer than renters because obviously the value of the owners to their business plan is larger than that the value of a single customer. I booked the rest of my vacation with AirBNB and I would recommend that others do the same, unless you have money to burn. After all that was said and done, I had to book with this owner or lose my deposit so I booked for only 4 days (we will probably book another accommodations for those dates) and my CC was overcharged and now I have to fight with TA some more. It has been a nightmare.

Original review: April 12, 2018

As a hotel and restaurant business owner, we know you're unable to please every customer every time, and on the odd occasion we may get a below average review posted on that most awful site TRIPADVISOR. We do not subscribe or deal with TA in anyway apart from customer reviews, and like a lot of posts on here TA is a law to themselves, one 500 word reply to put your point across to TA in the management centre and if they don't remove the review it's then blocked out and their decision is final? One review was that far out of their own guidelines they removed it, customer then re-posted it word for word, they removed again, it was re-posted word for word a 3rd time, and now TA refuse to remove it? Nice constancy TA!!

There is no contact email or number unless you sign up at a cost of over £600 per year? apart from this one UK number (+44 0203 885 0007) Customer service is? Well there is none? An automated email telling you their decision is final? Worst company I have ever had to deal within 25 years of running a business, I'm totally at a loss trying to deal with this company and unfortunately the sooner they close the doors the better as the platform seems to be more for venting rage rather than unbiased review. REMEMBER TRIPADVISOR WAY OR THE HIGHWAY THEIR DECISION IS FINAL!!! WOULD BE A MINUS 5 STAR RATING IF POSSIBLE.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Basically their travel insurance (Expedia Travel Insurance/Waiver) is bogus. Do not pay for it. You can only make one change to your trip. They will not refund money based upon your original reservation. They make you cancel your original reservation and reserve again at a higher rate. Their insurance will not cover any increase in hotel rate based on the change, even if you are deleting one night of your reservation. Insurance? Not!!!

Original review: April 6, 2018

I was not able to leave the review under the home because the owner removed it. Through the TripAdvisor website, my family rented a property from 3/24/18 thru 4/2/18. TripAdvisor and the property owner both greatly MIS-REPRESENTED the home, as well as the property grounds itself. The property was listed to be in Rosarito, Mexico and it was actually located in Popotla, Mexico. The house was disgustingly filthy upon our arrival. There were feces running down the side of the toilet (gross!!), the bed linens nor the towels were clean. The entire house was filthy dirty: floors, counters, tables, etc. I had to clean the entire house myself before we could even settle in, which I was NOT happy about, to say the least!

I did contact TripAdvisor right away to inform them of the problem and they stated they were going to attempt to contact the owner and resolve the problem for me. Besides the house being dirty, all the cabinets were locked except one, which had someone’s clothes and shoes inside of it, and the refrigerator was full of food. My family had to live for an entire week out of our suitcases and bags, as there was nowhere to put our clothes due to everything being locked up. From the locked cabinets and the refrigerator full of food, it appears that someone lives there. The listing advertised Tennis Court and a Pool also. The pool was also filthy dirty, nothing I would ever allow my children to swim in! I had to pay extra money to take my family to another pool because everyone was looking forward to swimming at the house we rented! The Tennis Court did not have an entrance, only a hole in the gate to be able to access it thru!

The only reason we stayed the entire week was because we met with family from Mexico and no one could afford to just up and leave and rent another place to stay. When you are traveling from far and meeting up with people, it is not just that easy to go find another place at such short notice. TripAdvisor was all for helping me rectify the situation and get some of my money back. However, once we checked out, the property owner LIED about several things just so we would not be able to receive any kind of refund. The owner claimed that we had extra people there than the 10 we were allowed, which was NOT true. Once he saw the pictures I took, the owner also claimed that he was not satisfied with how the house looked upon our arrival, stated that the cleaning company was different from the one he normally uses, and he CLAIMS that he offered to send out a different cleaning company the following day, which was a complete LIE.

Not to mention, the house had to be cleaned immediately or my family and I would not have been able to even sleep there, as it was a disgusting mess! Now that the owner has said his lies and claims that he can’t refund me because we stayed the entire time (which we really had no choice), TripAdvisor all of a sudden has told me there is nothing they can do for me and is now ignoring any communication from me. TripAdvisor obviously cares more about their fraudulent property owners more than it does their consumers. I will NEVER use TripAdvisor again and I suggest anyone who is using their services to think twice or to at least research the actual property on their own before going through with the rental agreement.

In the event of a problem with your rental, TripAdvisor will ACT like they are going to help you, but from my experience that was all just a show. They CLAIMED they would work things out with the owner and get me some kind of refund on the money I paid for the house, but they did not hold up to their word. I am THOROUGHLY DISAPPOINTED with this experience with TripAdvisor. This was my first and LAST time I book with TripAdvisor.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I don’t like the fact that they recently got political and I want all of my reviews removed. There seems to be no easy way to do this. They have no contact phone numbers. They have no customer service email address. I want to boycott TripAdvisor.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I must admit I have never booked any hotels or trips on TA, but always relied on them for the reviews. The first time I cancelled my account being level 6 was when refused to publish my review of a certain hotel in Panama that was the end of the world. I tried 3 times to publish what I thought, but those guidelines of them nobody really understands prevented me from doing so. It was about 5 years ago. About 2 years later I reconsidered and recreated an account and got to level 7, until my last trip to Uruguay staying in a hotel that was the most complete disaster. My review at first was published but after some weeks just vanished. Then again I cancelled my account and even sorry for all the good reviews I had published, the situation with that hotel in Montevideo was more than annoying. Detail... My first problem with TA in Panama I had had over 20 nights in that hotel and this time in Montevideo I booked a superior suite for 25 nights.

It comes to the fact anyone can publish anything, but it looks like the hotels can have those reviews removed and it’s my a game I want to play. If I stayed one or two nights in a place, I would refrain from reviewing because there is no time to feel the place. But as I usually stay always over three weeks, I guess what I have to say should be heard. Like I said, I tried TA twice but there won’t be a third time and on both occasions I told them if they want to side with the hotels... they can just do it, but I just want to be out! For me things must be serious and I don’t think TA is, because between choosing a paying customer who did not book with them and a hotel they directly sell to... They will pick the hotel, as bad as it can be. That’s my opinion!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I was reserving 3 airline tickets through TripAdvisor with total ($470), while booking their web page showed a message "Free Cancellation within 24 hours". I paid the amount but then realized that there is a mistake on my return flights. Since TripAdvisor referred me to their "partners" (First Travel), I called them ten minutes after my payment and asked to cancel my booking; surprisingly, they replied that there is a charge of $75 per ticket ($225) and they will refund the balance through several settlements within 2 weeks.

I emailed TripAdvisor to complain the case, they told me this is not from us this is from our partner "kindly communicate with the partner". I told them their partner is a third party for me and that their web page showed the 24 hours free cancellation and they have to take responsibility. They emailed me back saying that they can't do anything and if I have any proves that their web page says 24 hour cancellation to email back to them. I checked their web page again to print screen the 24 free cancellation to find that they have removed this message. I am kindly seeking any type of support in this matter.

Original review: March 30, 2018

YOU'RE getting political? Please improve your app, which needs as much work as the thought behind cancelling advertising on the Ingrahm show. David is either a leader, victim or crybaby. As either of the first two, unfortunately you are exposed to criticism... Is this REALLY about what Ingrahm said, or a "leader" tweeting companies to Cancel advertising? Some leader.

Original review: March 30, 2018

We would give them no stars if possible! We had our condo in Mexico listed on TripAdvisor and for a measly 2 week rental they wanted to charge the prospective client almost $700 US in fees! And they don't say what you get for those ridiculous fees. And if you try to even hint to the client you can be found on lower or "no fee" sites they block any communication. We have pulled our property from their site. We get plenty of referrals from other sites. Don't List Your Property on TripAdvisor!

Original review: March 29, 2018

Laura Ingraham sell out - You are cowards TripAdvisor but you have the right to do what you want just like I have the right to NEVER use you again and to do EVERYTHING in my power to make sure you fail.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Booked a trip (condo) in February 2018 in Chestertown, NY through TripAdvisor website. The quote for the trip was shown as TOTAL PRICE (NO BREAK IN PRICE -- tax fee, cleaning fee or security deposit). E-mailed the owner of condo and asked if the security deposit was already included in price or not. Owner replied "yes, it is already in the quote, and TripAdvisor handles the security deposit and it will be return during 10 days after the trip". I booked the property.

At the end of March I e-mailed the owner because I did not see the refund of the security deposit. First time he e-mailed me and wrote that security deposit was returned. I wrote back "I don't see refund on my credit card statement". Few days later he e-mailed me again and said that he talked to the TripAdvisor representative who told him that THE QUOTE DID NOT INCLUDE SECURITY DEPOSIT. TOO MUCH CONFUSION. I travel a lot, but first time used TripAdvisor and it was my last time.

Original review: March 28, 2018

This company has no control what people post on it. You flag reviews that clearly breach posting policy yet they do nothing about it. It's about time this company was closed down. They never had my permission to list my hotels on it in the first place.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I have approached TripAdvisor staff several time to notify them of a change of a location for my Jerry's Stall. I have sent numerous emails, however no response and to cut the story short they are now displaying that the Stall is closed, though I told them the trading hours and the new location. What do you have to do to get through the office morons!!!

Original review: March 19, 2018

TripAdvisor's "The Fork" confirmed a 10 March 2018 booking for us for a 7 pm seating for 2 at Los Porches Restaurante in La Cala de Mijas, Spain. They never passed that information to the restaurant. We had no reserved table on arrival.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I’m a property owner. I accepted a booking and moments later realized that my property was already booked. They insisted on trying to charge me 150.00. Impossible to reach by phone as they do not publish a number on their site or in return emails. Commissions are 15%!!! The customer service are from a foreign country. Totally difficult to deal with. They immediately blocked me when I refused to pay 150.00. Good riddance. I am rated 5 stars for my Highland Cottage rental and commissions through Airbnb and HomeAway are much less with way better customer care.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I Booked a placed through them and the owner of the house denied my request due to too many people, he agreed to refund all my money even though his policy said no so he was great. He stated it wasn't an actual booking due to him denying it to too many people. His house did not accommodate that. TripAdvisor refused to give me all my money. Said they would prorate if I booked through them. They kept 188 dollars of mine and refuse to give it back as a so called booking fee.

How did I book anything if it was denied? I have asked this question probably 100 times. No one will call me back nor email me anymore. I have called several time. Promised a call back by a supervisor and never called back as well as emailed them. And yet nothing. I will never ever look at their site nor will I recommend anyone using their site. They also charged me to transfer my money from American US dollars to British pounds. How rude!!! Please don't book through them. They are nothing but money stealing people.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Booked two tours for Barcelona Spain - did not receive email confirmation - credit card was charged $400 for both tours. Did not know where to pickup point was for first tour. TripAdvisor site said 24/7 support - only contact was phone number to call from US - did have friend call - was on hold 45 minutes. Finally read reviews of tour which gave name of third party tour company who ran tour - contacted them - Explore Catalina - they were great - responded in 7 hours - confirmed our reservation and provided directions where to meet. TripAdvisor does not do enough for customer - they could provide FAQ for customers if they do not want to provide customer service - they said in one online post "how can we be expected to provide customer service with so many customers booking”. Well they won’t need to provide any customer service to me - because I will not book via them in the future.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I own a vacation rental at The Sand Dollar resort in Indian Shores Florida. This is the worst place to advertise and to make any reservation. I pay a very high advertisement fee a year. Of that they charge the HIGHEST SERVICE FEE, on top. To secure a reservation the traveler is charged an average of $200 per week (for no additional services) which I normally provide, inflating the weekly rental fee.

In addition they block personal contact information (phone numbers and email address) from the guests and the owner. Even after the reservation is secure this information is withheld until about 90 days prior to their arrival, limiting communications between parties. Threatening to block your listing. This practice should be illegal, I'm shock that they are allow to continue this practice. I will not subject my guests to this, As a Vacation Rental Owner for the last 14 years I will stop advertising in this site as soon as my listing expires, and I hope action is taken against this company.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I have searched hotels from this website. TripAdvisor website describe that breakfast is included at Ankara Plaza Hotel. When I click on to book the hotel from Getaroom website it exclude this option. I have booked and paid for two nights for Ankara Plaza Hotel and it was nonrefundable. I am very upset with their misleading information.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I ALWAYS check TripAdvisor for hotel and tour reviews prior to booking or reserving. Most of the reviews are accurate and truthful.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I use TripAdvisor primarily to find restaurants. It is an excellent resource for this. I rarely use travel sites to book hotels, etc. because I lose my point and often cannot cancel the reservation if something comes up.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

TripAdvisor is a free site onto which customers post comments. Essentially, it is the "YELP" of places and hospitality. Some reviews are helpful, others are simply brown-nosing or outright complaints. However, the overall picture made by those reviews is relatively accurate. I've traveled coast to coast in the US and around the world, and TripAdvisor is useful, if for nothing else to get fairly accurate photos and blunt comments about places, hotels, and restaurants.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

TripAdvisor talks about the obvious on their site; that is, attractions that are mainstream. Overall, TA is for the more conservative traveler that likes being a tourist.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

TripAdvisor is really easy to use. My friend used this site to help us navigate from California to Maine. Got directions for RV parks that were very easy to find and reasonable prices.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

The online review posted by the users are enormous but the information provided lack the update, the site only tell you when the posting was, and the site operators do not make any follow-ups.

TripAdvisor.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs