TripAdvisor
1.23/5
  • 1 star
Based on 150 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

TripAdvisor

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 10, 2017

549 TripAdvisor Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Do not buy hotel reservations through TripAdvisor! I am a level-6 major contributor to Tripadvisor, writing reviews about hotels and restaurants and other places that I experience when I’m traveling. I was fooled into believing that Tripadvisor hotel reservation service is quite a bargain, well I was duped to say the least! First off, they do not have their own hotel reservation service, they sub out to a shady outfit called Cancelon, a sham company that seems to be sitting somewhere in India and when you call them you don’t get a corporate operator, only someone who responds with hello?

I booked a three night stay at Wyndham Grand Jupiter in Florida through Tripadvisor and only later on I found out that he was going through this Cancelon company. I was charged $458 for three night stay, only to find out that the hotel itself would have charged me only $345 including all taxes and fees and service charges. Once they take your money at Cancelon, your reservation will immediately become nonrefundable.

I tried to contact Tripadvisor by phone, but unfortunately I found out that you never get to speak to a live human being at Tripadvisor. I think they have become too big and too aloof to the needs of their members and contributors and it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth about this company that I’ve been contributing to for more than 10 years and I’m totally dismayed by their lack of care and support, making them sound like a very disingenuous company. When I contacted Cancelon, some Indian fellow answering the phone amid what sounded to be a very loud construction site tried to make me believe that hotel rates change every second! I have worked in the hotel industry and I do travel over 400,000 miles a year myself to know full well that such claims are totally baseless.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Stayed at two bad bed and breakfasts with glowing reports. Then we worked out that all negative reports were deleted by TripAdvisor at the owner’s insistence, creating impressions of much better establishments than what we recently experienced, Another tactic was for owner to switch property name. EFFECT Places with just glowing reports may not be what you think! We used to use TripAdvisor like a bible, but from now on, not anymore. Only when we see mixed TripAdvisor reviews will we consider a TripAdvisor hotel review. I.e. some good some bad reviews. What a trap!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I used TripAdvisor for many years however I have recently found that they censor reviews (just will not post some reviews) and allow the same companies to list under multiple names. Given some of my recent correspondence with TripAdvisor it is clear that many companies must be paying to be listed and others who do not pay are just not listed. I will look elsewhere for travel information and reviews given TripAdvisor's responses to this traveler.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

My husband and I made a reservation in Puerto Vallarta for a 5 months rent, through TripAdvisor. The owner is ** for Bello Horizonte 1. The booking reference is **. The owner sent us an email a few days before departure to have a confirmation about our arrival, date and time, because in the contract he was to pick us up, drive us to the condo and give us the keys. We waited 3 hours at the airport. An airline representative phoned every 15 minutes to finally let him know his guest were waiting for him.

We had a 12 hours flight (3 planes), we were very tired when we arrived at the condo. We did not like what we saw, the condo was not what we expected, but much too tired to argue. The day after, through the concierge we tried to get in touch with the owner. He never answered back. No water going to the shower, etc etc... The whole condo was different from the advertisement. I have pictures and they will follow. Because he was not getting in touch with us and because we could never imagine spending 5 months in this condo, we took a taxi to a hotel where we spent 4 nights, hoping he would answer back our emails. He never did.

My husband has a heart condition. With all the stress involved, impossible to stay around. We booked a flight and we are back in Quebec. I have many pictures taken in Bello Horizonte 1 to let you know that the owner did not rent us the condo he advertised on TripAdvisor. Now the purpose of this email is to request a refund. Pictures follow. Pictures advertised and what was there.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I have advertised my rental property in Costa Rica for several years on 3 different sites. Two of them (Airbnb and VRBO) have been very good, but Flipkey was always a headache. They kept removing anything that was remotely personal, and sending me nasty messages suggesting I was giving away contact information and thus breaking my arrangement with them. This was always a struggle for me, and didn't happen on the other sites, as I want to give useful information (NOT my contact info) to prospective clients.

Anyway, the worst that happened was that I accidentally double booked my house for a couple of days. When I called TripAdvisor they asked if I could find another place for the 2 days of overlap and then the double booked clients could come in under the Flipkey reservation for the remaining 10 days of their reservation. They said they would not fine me for my error if I could organize it. It was a busy period for me but I spent a full day finding alternate accommodation for the 2 days.

However, when I tried to contact the client to discuss the plan with her, I was blocked out completely. The client was so upset that she withdrew her reservation because she had not heard back from me. Eventually I received a mail from her through Flipkey explaining this, even though I must have sent her 30 messages. I called TripAdvisor several times but they would not help. In the end I paid $100 fine but the worst part was all the work and attempts to reach the client in vain. And the client's frustration as she was very very upset. I will never advertise with TripAdvisor again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TripAdvisor.com?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

When checking my vacation rental on TripAdvisor, I was surprised when requesting a particular date for booking that they charge an extra $25 per day on a 30-day listing as their Service Fee. This is 16.5% fee. When I called to inquire, I was told by the representative that they charge anywhere from 8% to 14%. I asked them to pull my listing from their website and was told I needed to do that myself. I tried to cancel everything, even my reviews on other properties, but my listing still shows up. Perhaps it takes a few days, so will check later. They take listings from VRBO and other rental sites and post on theirs without you knowing.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

On October I contacted Tripadvisor regarding discrepancy in a rate for ANCARINE HOTEL between December 3 and December 7, 2017. During my hotel search on your website, Trip Advisor I was mislead by posted rate of $41 per night for this hotel at the days listed above. Once I was transferred to AGODA website the rate changed to $86. I was very disappointed with your website and false advertising that is why I called Trip Advisor customer service immediately (around 10 30 pm Pacific time). They requested from me the screenshot of the website that I took promptly and I attached in the email. I would like to book this hotel at this rate. Their response after 2 weeks of me calling and inuring:

“Thank you for contacting Tripadvisor. I'm sorry you're frustrated with the difference in price. To help you understand why this may have happened, I can explain a little more about how Tripadvisor Price Search works. Every time you run a search, Tripadvisor sources the most up to date pricing from hundred of partners, and displays the results for you on our site. Once you've selected what you want, we direct you to that partner to complete the booking. Sometimes there are price changes that occur once you are on the partner's site. This can happen at any point, including during the final validation step of your purchase. Since Tripadvisor does not handle booking, we don't have a lot of visibility into when or why this is happening in your case.”

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

When a travel site refuses to publish all comments about an establishment (hotel or restaurant) because there were negative reviews, I refuse to rely on that site. Goodbye, TripAdvisor. Your site is dishonest and unscrupulous.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I have been a contributor on TripAdvisor for many years and did so to support fellow travelers. I earned several badges they give out and at one point they even sent me a t-shirt as a thank you gift for the popularity of my posts. I never paid much attention. I have advertised a townhouse that my family owns on Sanibel Island in Florida on a site called vacationhomerentals.com. Our listing was vacationhomerentals.com/67655. Well I noticed last year that we did not receive any listing requests which made no sense to me as I was usually flooded with them. What had changed is that I was getting requests from TripAdvisor referring to an account I knew nothing about. When I tried to contact vacationhomerentals to view my photos and great reviews, etc. the site presented to be shut down with no forwarding information which I had me quite perplexed.

I soon after received an e-mail from TripAdvisor stating that they were shutting my account down due to no responses when I am contacted by their customers. There was no return e-mail or phone number and I continued to be in a perplexed state trying to figure out what was going on. A few months later I received a call from a TripAdvisor representative trying to sell me a premium space upgrade on their site for my Sanibel rental. I explained to him that I had never advertised with TripAdvisor nor joined their site. I was informed that TripAdvisor bought vacationhomerentals' site and now have rights to my listing. He gave me a number to look at my listing on TripAdvisor which had one of my six reviews and none of my photos and also told me that TripAdvisor gets a portion of the rental costs.

I could not believe this. He could not give me a telephone number, to follow up, seriously!! Since this time, I have spoken with many people who have experienced the same. It is quite unbelievable and their way of handling things is to keep their telephone number private and not have any support as if they did, they would be required to tell people that they are a dishonest, deceitful business out to totally steal from people they are trying to covertly profit from deception. I remain furious and have lost a significant amount of money by their purchasing the site I had paid for my listing. Neither of them sent anything whatsoever about this move.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I used TripAdvisor extensively and had over a 100 reviews on it. I was one of the highest reviewers and had a badge in many categories. For planning my visit to Aruba I used the TripAdvisor reviews as my guide. However, during my visit to Aruba, I visited a water park and thoroughly enjoyed the visit. I wrote a very positive review in which I answered some negative comments from some of the earlier reviewers about the lack of food etc. TripAdvisor came back to me and told me I was being negative about other reviews and hence they are taking down my review. The only thing I did was be honest about my reviews. I was not happy about this and opted out of writing for this platform. I guess they were happy to see me go. I feel this is a platform that wants reviews with only positive news and nothing negative.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I've had multiple issues with TripAdvisor. They're impossible to contact by phone unless they call you. I had a few reviews on my business about a complaint that was actually not our facility. I told them this and asked for the reviews to be removed. Even tried contacting the people who left them. They did nothing. Another thing was they made our business a duplicate listing. So instead of deleting one of the listings they put closed on it so people thought we were closed down. TripAdvisor sucks!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I'm having a difficult time with Tripadvisor. I've used them for years, I have accomplished 182 T.A. reviews and visited over 500 cities which they list. I've never had a problem until now with them. Most of my reviews have been positive, don't think I ever did a "terrible". Not long ago, I accomplished a rather mundane review of a resort only a day's travel from our home. I gave them an excellent. Unfortunately, in my narrative I included the website link for that establishment. The reason I did so was to refer readers to the website's pictures as my photos did not turn out. I know it is a no-no to use links, but normally T.A. puts up a link to the website of the establishment themselves. In this case they hadn't done so. So, I received an email asking that I remove the link and repost. Which I did. But no response, looks like they have blackballed me. Maybe not.

But this all got me to thinking. Here I've spent considerable time and energy over the years accomplishing detailed reviews of hotel accommodations, restaurants and attractions for them. What if something happens to Tripadvisor and all my work is gone? So I've begun doing duplicate and triple reviews of all my T.A. posts for the last year or so. If this all turns out okay I'll never do a T.A. review again unless I also publish it in at least one other location.

We also cruise a lot, passed the 600 days at sea mark last year. Tripadvisor doesn't do cruise reviews but they own Cruise Critic. There are only two sites that provide comprehensive cruise reviews, one is C.C. which is probably the best, second is Cruiseline. I always do an in depth review of our cruises, but I publish them in both forums. I should have done that from the beginning with Tripadvisor.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I would not use TripAdvisor for renting a vacation home from either side, as the renter or owner. They do not communicate or care about their customer or the owners. We have it written right in our renters contract as an owner, "NO SMOKING IN THE HOME OR ON THE PROPERTY". This is written many times in customer information. Our customer allowed smoking and used a champagne bottle with a note taped to the outside stating "ashtray, do not drink". It also had a skull on the note. This was all given to TripAdvisor.

The renter trashed our home and allowed smoking. In four years of renting, we have not retained a damage deposit. We asked TripAdvisor to retain the small damage deposit as we had well over one thousand dollars in damage. TripAdvisor released the complete damage deposit to the customer. Now the customer wrote a review with huge lies and derogatory remarks. TripAdvisor will do nothing. We have sent them pictures of the champagne bottle with many cigarette butts inside.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Upon reviewing a hotel in Uxmal, Yucatan, the negative review was removed by Trip Advisor at the insistence of the hotel owner. The review was accurate and the underlying complaint was well documented. I conclude that Trip Advisor is not ethical in its dealings.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I would never book my holiday again with TripAdvisor, sausage in a sausage factory feeling. Absolutely terrible customer service. Never ever again. No one is there to answer you. I think they only have two very rude and untrained staff altogether! Waste of money.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I am a cottage owner located in Wales UK and the owner support with cancellations is awful. They make you pay 120 pounds if you have to cancel a booking. If you can use another agency do so as they will take all your hard earned money. They take a large percentage unlike other agencies.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Sadly this site/app started out as a great concept but as it got popular and more commercial its become rubbish! Reviews never submit, often removing genuine, helpful reviews and the app is rubbish. Too hard removed it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Attempted to challenge and remove an incorrect on my home. The reviewer never stayed in my property, and the review is on a home in another location. Have made countless efforts and spent many hours on the phone with these folks. These people are absolutely worthless. Don't waste your time or money.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Absolutely shocking experience. You can't exchange contact details with your tenants or property owner without paying extra above and beyond the high commissions you are already paying. Then they are supposed to give you a chance to review your guest - my guest was a money saving narcissistic repeatedly entitled nightmare who my caretakers had issues with. TripAdvisor are supposed to send a notification to review the guest but they never did - as it's my first experience I didn't know the process. Then by they lock you out of reviewing the guest after 14 days - you can only post a response to her (rubbish repeatedly) review.

Then you can't get any joy at all dealing with the Filipino and Indian call centers. Lying and shafting they shutting and hanging up and frustrating the customer. Hanging up when they can't answer the questions, dealing with lies, fishing, fudging, poor English, insisting that you have posted reviews or sent emails you have nevertheless sent, giving poor explanations, refusal to answer questions, extremely long hold times. Then they refuse to return calls, throw terms and conditions at you, refuse to give explanations, skip around and dance around. Turns out your guest can review you but you can't review your guest. At all, any review, of the customers is invisible to or anyone but they're the customer so whatever the point? Hours and hours sorting out the issues - absolutely horrendous. Avoid AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have booked a hotel in Cozumel - Mexico using TripAdvisor website in June/17 to be used in July 29,17 (only one night). My surprise was that when doing the check in the reservation was not found. I have called Tingo support right away and they attend me asked me to looking for another hotel nearby. I declined and paid from my pocket.

After, I called again Tingo who told that was not able to reach the hotel and asked me to wait his call back. Nothing happened. Days later I called again and nothing again. Then I gave some days and called again, and every time it was like first time I was calling. Nobody was aware of my case. Then, I started to send e-mails and now they are saying that my money will not given back because I paid for a room. Believe or not, they took my money for service that was not provided. This company. It is not trustful.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I was unable to gain entry to the vacation rental in Pompano Beach that I booked for a week and paid $1200. This was Labor day weekend and we had been traveling by car all day with a little dog. It was very difficult to find another place to stay on a Saturday night. TripAdvisor customer help was a joke, I must have talked to 5 different people, some in Mumbai and some in the UK. They offered their $166 booking fee, saying that they had released my payment to the owner, which I declined. It turns out that the owner had died and the property was up for sale. I have had to hire an attorney to sue TripAdvisor for my $1200. I am a 77 year old widow who can't afford this loss. DON'T USE TRIPADVISOR!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I've tried multiple times to post a negative review for a restaurant on TripAdvisor. The restaurant complains, (a TripAdvisor customer service confirmed that it was a restaurant employee), and then they take it down. They will either state that my review goes against their terms of use, which it does not, or they will say that they believe the review was posted for the wrong business. The customer service rep, when asked how I could improve the review to keep it up, will tell me that they cannot give me that information. How does that even make sense? I've edited the review countless times, and I've tried changing every possible thing in the review.

In the end, they just aren't going to keep a negative review up if a restaurant complains. I've confirmed this, as my mother also had a terrible experience there and left a review of her own. It, of course, was deleted by TripAdvisor. Yelp is far from perfect, but I posted the exact same review on that site, and it is still there, as is my mother's review. If it were truly a problem with the reviews themselves, I don't believe that Yelp would have kept them up. I believe that a review site which picks and chooses only the favorable reviews in order to keep the businesses happy constitutes false advertising. It is not reliable, and the ratings cannot be trusted.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I booked a long stay at an apartment in Bergamo, Italy via Trip Advisor Rentals for summer 2017. Although the apartment description was fairly accurate, there were some issues with it. However, what really spoiled it for me and left me thinking I won't be using TripAdvisor again to book accommodation -- and probably not to leave reviews either -- was the support I received from customer service over a payment dispute. According to the TripAdvisor listing, and the rental confirmation, the payment covered all aspects of my stay, i.e. "There should be nothing extra for you to pay locally". So I was surprised when the host asked me for 90 euros 'tourist tax' as I would have expected that to be included.

I contacted support, and initially they agreed with me, and so they contacted the host but she argued with them and they took her side and came back to me and told me I had to pay. I continued to argue with the host, but she was really aggressive about it and without any backup from the customer service people, despite the fact that my contract was pretty clear that there should be no additional taxes to pay on arrival, I paid the host in cash because I didn't want to get into trouble with the local police. I complained formally to TripAdvisor afterwards but they are not at all supportive and the latest point they made was that, "If you paid cash to the host then you're not covered by our payment protection." But how else are you supposed to pay when the host insists and there's no credit card machine at the apartment? So, I'd suggest you read the terms very, very carefully and assume you will get ripped off like I did if you book through TripAdvisor.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

After my trip I submitted 2 reviews to TripAdvisor, however none was published. It was fully ignored. Without notification and my permission they removed my reviews. I wanted to talk to supervisor about this issue, he/she wasn't available. I mailed my complaint to the department handling reviews submission, waiting for the answer.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Some six months in advance my wife and I booked a hotel through TripAdvisor for a hotel in Wyoming for two nights prior to the total eclipse in August 2017 - the Comfort Inn in Wheatland, WY, within the path of totality. We received a confirmation from them and follow-up emails on our trip. Three weeks prior to our trip my wife decided to check the web for information on the hotel. To our shock, the website declared "hotel permanently closed." We called and discovered that, a few days before TripAdvisor took our reservation, the hotel was sold to new owners. The new owners had completely booked the hotel for the dates in question and had no record of our reservation.

We attempted to contact TripAdvisor without success - It seems they have NO way to register customer questions/requests/complaints. A week before our trip we received an automated email advising us that the reservation had been canceled. By then we had found new, much more expensive, accommodations. I would like to register my rating of TripAdvisor at ZERO, but where will people see such a rating? The website offers no possibility to tell even the company, much less the public, of the kind of fraudulent "service" that you may very likely receive in doing business with TripAdvisor.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I went through TripAdvisor to book a unit for nearly two weeks in Denver in June. Not only did TripAdvisor charge outlandish booking fees, but somehow a third party piggybacked on this booking and charged $14.99 for "booking fees" too. How did that happen? No one seems to know. I spent considerable time trying to have the later fees removed, but to no avail. As a consequence, I'll not be booking with this company again, but will book directly with all accommodations. What a rip-off!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I needed to contact a host of a residence that I had booked with TripAdvisor. We tried to communicate but TA does not allow either party to send email addresses or phone numbers. My host said that I could maybe contact TA and they would provide email or phone. Well it is impossible to talk to a human at TA. Only pre-recorded messages giving you some things that done fit into but some very specific niche. To this date me and host have been impossible to communicate. Ridiculous that a company of the size Of TA would not have a person to field a question you regarding the service they provide. Site is fine for reference, suggestions etc. Don't ever book through them. Useless is a problem arises.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I'm not a disgruntled service provider who got a bad review. Just someone who wants to say: TRIPADVISOR NOW SUCKS!! It used to be a cool site that you could count on for decent reviews of restaurants and places as you travel. No more. Now it's just another ** site trying to sell you hotel rooms. Which means 1: you can no longer trust reviews since they are selling stuff and have a big incentive to skew the reviews. 2. You can't even find the reviews you want since they are so busy trying to sell you crap. Since they are one of about 35 travel sales sites I give them 6 months before they go under. When they were a review site, it was great. Way better than Yelp, but they decided to tank that business and try to sell stuff. The owl is also super stupid. Who is running this ** company?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I've been operating my Restaurant for over 4 yrs. In that time we've accumulated close to 100 reviews. Woke up one morning to find that we somehow only have 9 reviews which took us from one of the top 5 restaurants down to the bottom 3. Also TripAdvisor lets individuals post more than once and we have a troll who is either related to our competition or has a personal vendetta against the establishment who posts once or twice a year ripping the restaurant apart and not giving an accurate description of the establishment. Do I really have to waste money to hire an attorney to fight this crap???

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I recently submitted my review of a hotel and their valet car service on TripAdvisor. I had a terrible experience that could have been alleviated but the hotel management completely has ignored phone calls and emails. I don't normally post reviews but I was so taken aback that I wrote the review to warn other patrons - this experience could easily happen to someone else. I submitted the review to TripAdvisor and received an email to thank me for the submission and it would be reviewed. Reviewed for what? There were no obscenities or biased thoughts. Just facts. The result - it would not be printed. I'm thinking maybe this "unbiased" site might actually be getting some hotel kickbacks. Beware when reading all the reviews - might not be entirely accurate.

TripAdvisor.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TripAdvisor is one of the world's largest travel websites. It primarily relies on user-generated content to help travelers choose destinations and activities that interest them.

• Travel guides: User-generated travel guides help tourists find destinations and activities that appeal to them.

• Vacation rentals: TripAdvisor lets travelers browse vacation rentals by city.

• Mobile app: Travelers can download TripAdvisor's mobile app to use on the go.

• Ratings: Ratings make it easy for travelers to focus on an area's best features.

• In-flight features: TripAdvisor lets travelers search for flights that offer specific features, including Wi-Fi, power outlets and free baggage.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs