2. Travel
  3. Travel Agencies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 5.00/5

People to People International Student Travel Programs turn the world into a classroom, creating an educational and inspirational experience that cultivates meaningful connections between students from across the US and from different countries.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s vision of creating “peace through understanding” is still at the core of every one of their international summer travel programs for middle, high school and college students.

Programs are offered to Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, and Central America.

BOTTOM LINE

People to People International Student Travel Programs allow students to enjoy fully immersive educational experiences in several different geographical regions.

PROS

• Authentic cultural immersion activities
  • Interactive learning opportunities
  • Balances sightseeing and service

CONS

• Summer programs only

People to People International Student Travel Programs

People to People International Student Travel Programs are immersive, educational experiences that allow students to travel with purpose. The company offers trips to multiple locations, including Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Oceanic region. People to People plans programs for 6th-grade students up to postgraduate college students.

RegionTrips availableAge
Africa28th grade - postgrad
Americas16th grade - 12th grade
Asia36th grade - postgrad
Europe176th grade - postgrad
Oceanic26th grade - 12th grade

How People to People International Student Travel Programs work

There are two ways to travel with People to People:

• National delegations:  Students from all over the U.S. come together to join a travel group chaperoned by carefully selected educators chosen by People to People.
  • Local delegations: Students from the same area travel together, led by an educator from the same region.

A delegation manager stays with the group 24/7 for safety and to help the itinerary run smoothly. Each educator chaperone selected by People to People receives a background check and undergoes yearly training. They must also be CPR and first aid certified. Students will participate in monthly online and/or in-person meetings to help prepare them for the program. Students are also assigned a student success advisor who will help answer any questions.

During the program, students enjoy an immersive educational experience that includes:

• Homestays: Student travelers have the opportunity to stay with a local host family, which gives them an authentic and invaluable glimpse into the area’s culture.
  • Unique access: Participating travelers have unmatched opportunities that include meeting with a former member of the United Kingdom Parliament, participating in discussions with international students, meeting one of the villagers who discovered the Terracotta Warriors in China and meeting the Swiss Guard in Vatican City.
  • Community Services: People to People offers volunteer opportunities so students can make a difference in the communities they’re visiting.
  • Activities and attractions: People to People’s travel itineraries are full of adventures such as taking a bike tour of Soweto Township in South Africa, snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef and rappelling in the Tuscan countryside.
  • Education opportunities:  People to People’s trips let students learn new skills through hands-on activities with experts. Opportunities include cooking classes in Rome, anime workshops in Japan, taking Spanish classes in Valencia and learning from scientists at a biotech company in Boston.

People to People International cost

The cost of traveling with People to People International Student Travel Programs varies based on your trip location, length and itinerary. The total price is typically between $4,000 - $10,000. When booking a trip, you can choose to pay the amount in full or pay a deposit, generally $350, to reserve your spot. The company offers a few payment plans to choose from as well as fundraising ideas.

Your program tuition includes roundtrip airfare, hotel accommodations, land transportation, all meals, attractions, activities, guided sightseeing, all tips and a medical protection plan. The college programs don’t include lunches, and students have a bit more free time on their own.

Are People to People International Student Travel Programs worth it?

If you want an all-inclusive, immersive educational program and can afford the price tag, we think People to People International Student Travel Programs are worth it. The trips are an invaluable real-world experience for students of all ages. Many people are more comfortable joining a travel program like People to People than planning the trip themselves. For one price, People to People handles the details for you and lets you focus on enjoying the sights and attractions of your chosen destination.

People to People International Student Travel Programs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about People to People International Student Travel Programs?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Ferdinand, our 14 year old son, had a blast with People to People. He went to the stem research that went from Boston to Iceland and then London and France as well. They went to a lot of different countries and it was his first experience. We have an older daughter that's gone through the People to People program, too, and she went to Australia and Canada. This was the first time our son has actually gone through the program, so we were really excited for him to do that. They both have gone to places where my wife and I had not had a chance to go to. It's on our bucket list.

We've had some experience in the past from our daughter, so we were familiar with the format and felt comfortable handing off our son to the People to People delegates to get them safely back. There was a little mishap on the way back. Their plane had some issues and they had to turn back and get it fixed. They had to stay an extra night in Paris in order to get on a different flight to Boston. But People to People reached out to me and said, "We've got a game plan."

Because my son is a minor, there were some logistics on him, traveling back home to San Francisco and he was an unaccompanied minor once he left Boston. So, we had to make sure that at least a delegate was gonna hand him off to someone from United Airlines. And they took care of him and made sure that he got on the plane and to make sure it was a non-stop. One of the things that we really requested is to make sure that he didn't have a change-over flight somewhere between Boston and California and so, they did that. They accommodated that and they listened to our concerns. And I think the overall experience for him was one that he'll always remember.

His favorite activity was in Iceland. He had to go do a paper or some kind of presentation about the Blue Lagoon. So, he had to do some research, some book work and then present it on the day that they were actually traveling there. And then they got to actually see it, which kinda instills all the things that you read in the books and you get to see the waterfall and touch the water and all that good stuff. So, it's a really good format that a lot of kids don't have an opportunity to do. They might see it on a DVD or on the Nature channel, on the Discovery Channel, or read it in a book, but it kinda locks things in place when you see it in person.

My son was traveling without his parents or sibling, so it's a different experience. When he came back, we could definitely tell he grew being on his own. But he was traveling with one of his cousins from San Francisco and she was 15, so we just made sure that they were on the same flight coming back. He had at least another person to keep him kind of not too homesick. He was gone for a good amount of time, but I really enjoyed watching the highlights. The delegates did a pretty good job of posting certain things on a private Facebook page that only parents had access to, friending within that circle of parents for the student ambassadors, and it was fun watching him go from place to place. It looked like they were having fun.

The stem research was one of the things that he kinda gravitated to just in school-related stuff, and to have People to People kinda infuse those elements in the travel was a definite plus. He was learning all the stem-related stuff and how it applies and also traveling, so he was a learning, traveling student, which is really good. It's a different way of learning, but it definitely beats just learning that stuff at school or at home. It's really nice to be able to go to the place and see and touch and actually step on all the places and landmarks.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

People to People Student Travel is an amazing program for middle and high school students who want to "travel with purpose". On a typical program students explore the history and culture of a country, interact with local families, participate in service projects, engage in adventure activities and so much more. The days are full and all travel expenses and meals are covered, there are no hidden costs.

As a program leader for over ten years I appreciate the depth of the programs and the opportunities for young people to experience many facets of travel. The leaders are seasoned teachers who enhance the travel experience, they are caring and are there to make sure that every child has a safe and enriching experience. Leaders are fully supported by a team of professionals who assist in the day to day operations while on program.

One of the rewards of traveling with students is seeing the difference travel can make. Friendships are formed, confidence builds and being immersed in a new culture can be life changing. If you are thinking about a program for your child or grandchild, talk to our staff and find out what People to People has to offer. It may seem costly but there is great value in something that can shape a person's perspective, help them to become a better citizen and learn how they can truly make a difference for good.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

Both my daughters, they’re twins, chose the European Odyssey Program from People to People. For their age, I felt that Europe was something that they can relate to. So, we sat and we went through every itinerary there was. And I was pleasantly surprised with the choice they made. They said they wanted to see Paris and wanted to visit the Louvre, and work with the artists, and do the Murano glass class. And so, that narrows it down and I thought it was a great choice. They spent a few days in New York, then Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome. They had a homestay visit in Italy, and ended up a few places in Greece, Athens, and then returned home.

My step-children, who are adults now, were part of the People to People too. I had a great reference and recommendation from them, so I know what a great program it is. I talked about People to People to every parent that I know that they know how important it is for a child to travel. And this program is the best way for them to get that confidence, independence, and to have that experience. The people in the program were very wonderful. In fact, the girls still talk about Michelle who was their leader. She was definitely the mom while I was not with them. Having the knowledge of the things my daughters have seen and the people they’ve met was the highlight of the program.

My daughters still talk about the places they visited, and the things they did, and so it was very exciting. And I know as time passes, they will even more realize what an experience this was. Overall, People to People communicated so well and they were so well organized. The girls actually filled out their surveys upon return and one of them said, “What is something that you would like to change?” They said, “We like to be more in this city.” That tells me that they had a great time.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I have just returned from a 20-day trip across Europe...my 13th trip as a teacher leader with the People to People International Student Travel program. Since my first trip back in 2004 to Western Canada with People to People, I have traveled again and again as a teacher leader with this program. Having also traveled with a competitor, I can tell you that PTP is a cut above the rest. The behind-the-scenes access at every turn opens the eyes of our students to a world beyond their own hometown. I have learned alongside students as we've made cheese in Switzerland, brick oven pizza in Italy, hand-turned wooden clogs in The Netherlands and cooked paella in Spain. We have camped in teepees in Canada, gone white water rafting in the Swiss Alps, rappelled off a tower in Italy, held koalas in Australia and survived a ropes course in Austria.

Most meaningful, however, is the personal connection students make when experiencing the home stay. For two or three nights, students live with a local family, even attending school with their host student! People to People has afforded us all so many unparalleled experiences, lifelong friendships, a true appreciation of "peace through understanding," and a sense of wonder that traditional tourist travel programs cannot match. If you are on the fence about sending your student, don't be. Your child will return to you changed for the better!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I traveled with People to People as a student, and now I am a leader with this amazing company. I traveled with them when I was 13 years old, and it changed my life. I grew up in a very small town, and I had never been to summer camp, or flown, and my parents sent me all the way to the South Pacific! While we had always done summer vacations as a family, international travel changed me and made me grow in ways I never imagined. I came back much more outgoing, confident, and independent. I started high school that fall at a large regional high school, and it was nowhere near as daunting as it would have been had I not done the program.

I have been a leader with People to People since 2011. I have travels with students to over 20 countries in that time. People to People offers truly immersive travel to students, and goes far beyond the tourist spots. From staying in a Maori village, bowling with students in Latvia, making butter on a farm in Spain, meeting with a Holocaust expert in Vienna, or speaking with a Franciscan monk in Italy, this program offers experiences you can’t get on your own. Many People to People programs also offer homestay experiences, where students stay with a local family for a few nights. They get a real inside look at daily life in the countries we visit. After I traveled as a student I stayed in contact with my homestay families for several years. I am still in touch with some of my homestay families that I have stayed with as a leader.

Another important component of the program is community service, it’s important to give back. From volunteering at a sea turtle rescue in Greece, to cutting Peat Moss in Ireland to donate to elderly residents, students participate in projects to help the communities they visit. The program also challenges students to get out of their comfort zones. It can be small, such as trying unfamiliar local foods, to large, like abseiling down a cliff. It is all important for personal development. I love watching students try new things, and often discovering they like things they didn’t think they would, or accomplishing something they didn’t think they could do. This program provides so much to students. I am very proud to be part of it, both as an alumni and a leader!!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

My daughter went on the Mediterranean Dreams trip this past summer. She selected that because of the window of time that the trip was on. In general, she had a very good experience. My daughter would say that it was the people that she met on the trip that made the experience. The program exceeded my expectations too.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I was studying French in school and our teacher would talk about the culture and the food, and that made me interested in France. And then France was one of the countries that the Europe trip with People to People had. I really liked meeting all the kids from different places and then saying how different each country was and what each country had differently. I really liked the program.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

My son did the Discover Costa Rica trip. He got a recommendation from a teacher years ago and we never had the money to do it. So, it was like, "Okay, we can make this happen if you wanna go," and so he went. His favorite thing on that trip was the rappelling to the waterfall. I would have liked a little bit more of the giving back to the communities part personally. He liked working with the children and the stuff that they did. Overall, People for People was well worth the time and the money for him to experience the other culture and to be able to give back to the community by working with the orphanage and the elementary school children.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I had other children that have previously been with People to People. Recently, my daughter did the Mediterranean Dreams. She enjoyed herself and made some good friends. She enjoyed her homestay family and seeing the sights, like the landmarks. She's going back again this summer.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Our daughter went on the Spanish Immersion Program this past summer and I can't even begin to express how wonderful the program is and all the people that run it. Sue and Carly were so great about answering all my questions leading up to the trip, including setting my mind at ease about sending my child so far away! Seeing our daughter experience all that she did throughout the month was incredible.

As for the program itself, we were absolutely thrilled with all that she saw and got to take part in...from cooking classes to Flamenco dancing! She absolutely fell in love with her homestay family and remains in contact with them. The experience was priceless. She learned so much, and grew so much as an individual in such a short amount of time. People to People is truly a wonderful program and I recommend it to anyone thinking of sending their child on such a trip because they are well taken care of, and it is well worth the cost because they certainly make the most of it! Cheers to you, PTP! You have a fabulous organization and I am forever grateful for all that you introduced my daughter to!

People to People International Student Travel Programs Company Information