Call toll free
5.00/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

People to People International Student Travel Programs turn the world into a classroom, creating an educational and inspirational experience that cultivates meaningful connections between students from across the US and from different countries.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s vision of creating “peace through understanding” is still at the core of every one of their international summer travel programs for middle, high school and college students.

Programs are offered to Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, and Central America.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

People to People International Student Travel Programs allow students to enjoy fully immersive educational experiences in several different geographical regions.

PROS

• Authentic cultural immersion activities
  • Interactive learning opportunities
  • Balances sightseeing and service

CONS

• Summer programs only

People to People International Student Travel Programs

People to People International Student Travel Programs are immersive, educational experiences that allow students to travel with purpose. The company offers trips to multiple locations, including Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Oceanic region. People to People plans programs for 6th-grade students up to postgraduate college students.

RegionTrips availableAge
Africa28th grade - postgrad
Americas16th grade - 12th grade
Asia36th grade - postgrad
Europe176th grade - postgrad
Oceanic26th grade - 12th grade

How People to People International Student Travel Programs work

There are two ways to travel with People to People:

• National delegations:  Students from all over the U.S. come together to join a travel group chaperoned by carefully selected educators chosen by People to People.
  • Local delegations: Students from the same area travel together, led by an educator from the same region.

A delegation manager stays with the group 24/7 for safety and to help the itinerary run smoothly. Each educator chaperone selected by People to People receives a background check and undergoes yearly training. They must also be CPR and first aid certified. Students will participate in monthly online and/or in-person meetings to help prepare them for the program. Students are also assigned a student success advisor who will help answer any questions.

During the program, students enjoy an immersive educational experience that includes:

• Homestays: Student travelers have the opportunity to stay with a local host family, which gives them an authentic and invaluable glimpse into the area’s culture.
  • Unique access: Participating travelers have unmatched opportunities that include meeting with a former member of the United Kingdom Parliament, participating in discussions with international students, meeting one of the villagers who discovered the Terracotta Warriors in China and meeting the Swiss Guard in Vatican City.
  • Community Services: People to People offers volunteer opportunities so students can make a difference in the communities they’re visiting.
  • Activities and attractions: People to People’s travel itineraries are full of adventures such as taking a bike tour of Soweto Township in South Africa, snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef and rappelling in the Tuscan countryside.
  • Education opportunities:  People to People’s trips let students learn new skills through hands-on activities with experts. Opportunities include cooking classes in Rome, anime workshops in Japan, taking Spanish classes in Valencia and learning from scientists at a biotech company in Boston.

People to People International cost

The cost of traveling with People to People International Student Travel Programs varies based on your trip location, length and itinerary. The total price is typically between $4,000 - $10,000. When booking a trip, you can choose to pay the amount in full or pay a deposit, generally $350, to reserve your spot. The company offers a few payment plans to choose from as well as fundraising ideas.

Your program tuition includes roundtrip airfare, hotel accommodations, land transportation, all meals, attractions, activities, guided sightseeing, all tips and a medical protection plan. The college programs don’t include lunches, and students have a bit more free time on their own.

Are People to People International Student Travel Programs worth it?

If you want an all-inclusive, immersive educational program and can afford the price tag, we think People to People International Student Travel Programs are worth it. The trips are an invaluable real-world experience for students of all ages. Many people are more comfortable joining a travel program like People to People than planning the trip themselves. For one price, People to People handles the details for you and lets you focus on enjoying the sights and attractions of your chosen destination.

8 People to People International Student Travel Programs Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

People to People has been a part of my life for 14 years. As a world language educator, there is no better educational experience for students than being immersed in language and culture. People to People offers this and so much more. I was a leader in the inaugural Spanish Immersion program during the summer of 2019. Students were completely immersed in the Spanish language and culture for 30-days. They came back more confident, self-reliant, responsible young people with a greater appreciation of the Spanish way of life. They also improved their Spanish tremendously through interaction with locals, experiencing a week-long homestay, and getting 30-hours of Spanish language instruction at an international school. This program changes lives and opens doors to experiences students cannot get inside of a traditional classroom. The friendship and bond the students create during a People to People itinerary really does last a lifetime!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I absolutely loved the trip I had the honor to be on in July of 2019 to Costa Rica. We helped, donated and were educated on so many amazing and definitely time and energy worthy causes that can save and change lives. Getting the opportunity to not only help, but meet the people we were helping will stay with me for the rest of my life. Community service is something I truly love to do, so the fact that I can combine community service with traveling around the world with an amazing organization surrounded by wonderful people is nearly surreal.

I am currently signed up to go on the trip to South Africa this coming summer in July of 2020 and I couldn’t be more happier and excited to go. Having an opportunity of a lifetime to not only travel, but touch the hearts of those I meet on my travels makes me genuinely happy and proud to be part of this beautiful organization. Thank you all so much for all the outstanding work you do around the world and for giving regular people like me opportunities we would’ve never gotten otherwise.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I have just returned from a 20-day trip across Europe...my 13th trip as a teacher leader with the People to People International Student Travel program. Since my first trip back in 2004 to Western Canada with People to People, I have traveled again and again as a teacher leader with this program. Having also traveled with a competitor, I can tell you that PTP is a cut above the rest. The behind-the-scenes access at every turn opens the eyes of our students to a world beyond their own hometown. I have learned alongside students as we've made cheese in Switzerland, brick oven pizza in Italy, hand-turned wooden clogs in The Netherlands and cooked paella in Spain. We have camped in teepees in Canada, gone white water rafting in the Swiss Alps, rappelled off a tower in Italy, held koalas in Australia and survived a ropes course in Austria.

Most meaningful, however, is the personal connection students make when experiencing the home stay. For two or three nights, students live with a local family, even attending school with their host student! People to People has afforded us all so many unparalleled experiences, lifelong friendships, a true appreciation of "peace through understanding," and a sense of wonder that traditional tourist travel programs cannot match. If you are on the fence about sending your student, don't be. Your child will return to you changed for the better!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I traveled with People to People as a student, and now I am a leader with this amazing company. I traveled with them when I was 13 years old, and it changed my life. I grew up in a very small town, and I had never been to summer camp, or flown, and my parents sent me all the way to the South Pacific! While we had always done summer vacations as a family, international travel changed me and made me grow in ways I never imagined. I came back much more outgoing, confident, and independent. I started high school that fall at a large regional high school, and it was nowhere near as daunting as it would have been had I not done the program.

I have been a leader with People to People since 2011. I have travels with students to over 20 countries in that time. People to People offers truly immersive travel to students, and goes far beyond the tourist spots. From staying in a Maori village, bowling with students in Latvia, making butter on a farm in Spain, meeting with a Holocaust expert in Vienna, or speaking with a Franciscan monk in Italy, this program offers experiences you can’t get on your own. Many People to People programs also offer homestay experiences, where students stay with a local family for a few nights. They get a real inside look at daily life in the countries we visit. After I traveled as a student I stayed in contact with my homestay families for several years. I am still in touch with some of my homestay families that I have stayed with as a leader.

Another important component of the program is community service, it’s important to give back. From volunteering at a sea turtle rescue in Greece, to cutting Peat Moss in Ireland to donate to elderly residents, students participate in projects to help the communities they visit. The program also challenges students to get out of their comfort zones. It can be small, such as trying unfamiliar local foods, to large, like abseiling down a cliff. It is all important for personal development. I love watching students try new things, and often discovering they like things they didn’t think they would, or accomplishing something they didn’t think they could do. This program provides so much to students. I am very proud to be part of it, both as an alumni and a leader!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Travel with purpose - the motto says everything! The People to People Student Travel Program is educational, behind the scenes experiences and FUN! I cannot say enough about it. From the leader training, to the student training, to the itinerary, to the program support while abroad, and the experiences we were able to have while abroad! We met international students - spent time with them, met a former MP in London for a discussion, sampled international cuisine, had an art lesson and a cooking lesson in Paris, learned to sail and windsurf, and so much more! This is a unique, and quality program. It is not enough in the modern world to sit behind a computer and watch a video - true learning and understanding comes from experiencing the world. The People to People program does exactly that. To sum it up, I took a group of strangers abroad and brought home a family. That is worth more than anything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about People to People International Student Travel Programs?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I have traveled with People to People International both as a former student ambassador and now, as a leader. I have led trips for 5 years, spanning 20+ countries. Each trip is well-planned, engaging, immersive, and fun! Students participate in pre-travel preparation activities geared to get them ready for travel. Once we are on program, students participate in a variety of activities! From taking surfing lessons in Australia, to meeting a former member of Parliament in England, these trips are amazing!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I have been traveling with People to People Student Travel for over 25 years. The experiences students are life changing! They are actually able to experience other cultures and have an understanding of how other people live. It is our goal to promote Peace Through Understanding. I have seen incredible growth of my students after traveling on one of our amazing programs! Travel is truly the only thing you can buy that makes you richer!

People to People International Student Travel Programs Company Information