Call toll free
5.00/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

People to People International Student Travel Programs turn the world into a classroom, creating an educational and inspirational experience that cultivates meaningful connections between students from across the US and from different countries.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s vision of creating “peace through understanding” is still at the core of every one of their international summer travel programs for middle, high school and college students.

Programs are offered to Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, and Central America.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

People to People International Student Travel Programs allow students to enjoy fully immersive educational experiences in several different geographical regions.

PROS

• Authentic cultural immersion activities
  • Interactive learning opportunities
  • Balances sightseeing and service

CONS

• Summer programs only

People to People International Student Travel Programs

People to People International Student Travel Programs are immersive, educational experiences that allow students to travel with purpose. The company offers trips to multiple locations, including Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Oceanic region. People to People plans programs for 6th-grade students up to postgraduate college students.

RegionTrips availableAge
Africa28th grade - postgrad
Americas16th grade - 12th grade
Asia36th grade - postgrad
Europe176th grade - postgrad
Oceanic26th grade - 12th grade

How People to People International Student Travel Programs work

There are two ways to travel with People to People:

• National delegations:  Students from all over the U.S. come together to join a travel group chaperoned by carefully selected educators chosen by People to People.
  • Local delegations: Students from the same area travel together, led by an educator from the same region.

A delegation manager stays with the group 24/7 for safety and to help the itinerary run smoothly. Each educator chaperone selected by People to People receives a background check and undergoes yearly training. They must also be CPR and first aid certified. Students will participate in monthly online and/or in-person meetings to help prepare them for the program. Students are also assigned a student success advisor who will help answer any questions.

During the program, students enjoy an immersive educational experience that includes:

• Homestays: Student travelers have the opportunity to stay with a local host family, which gives them an authentic and invaluable glimpse into the area’s culture.
  • Unique access: Participating travelers have unmatched opportunities that include meeting with a former member of the United Kingdom Parliament, participating in discussions with international students, meeting one of the villagers who discovered the Terracotta Warriors in China and meeting the Swiss Guard in Vatican City.
  • Community Services: People to People offers volunteer opportunities so students can make a difference in the communities they’re visiting.
  • Activities and attractions: People to People’s travel itineraries are full of adventures such as taking a bike tour of Soweto Township in South Africa, snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef and rappelling in the Tuscan countryside.
  • Education opportunities:  People to People’s trips let students learn new skills through hands-on activities with experts. Opportunities include cooking classes in Rome, anime workshops in Japan, taking Spanish classes in Valencia and learning from scientists at a biotech company in Boston.

People to People International cost

The cost of traveling with People to People International Student Travel Programs varies based on your trip location, length and itinerary. The total price is typically between $4,000 - $10,000. When booking a trip, you can choose to pay the amount in full or pay a deposit, generally $350, to reserve your spot. The company offers a few payment plans to choose from as well as fundraising ideas.

Your program tuition includes roundtrip airfare, hotel accommodations, land transportation, all meals, attractions, activities, guided sightseeing, all tips and a medical protection plan. The college programs don’t include lunches, and students have a bit more free time on their own.

Are People to People International Student Travel Programs worth it?

If you want an all-inclusive, immersive educational program and can afford the price tag, we think People to People International Student Travel Programs are worth it. The trips are an invaluable real-world experience for students of all ages. Many people are more comfortable joining a travel program like People to People than planning the trip themselves. For one price, People to People handles the details for you and lets you focus on enjoying the sights and attractions of your chosen destination.

15 People to People International Student Travel Programs Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Both my children have taken the trip. My then 12-year old daughter went in 2015 and I liked the way it was ran. They chose my daughter and I did not even know anything like this existed. My son, most recently, did it last summer. I wanted him to do Tale of Two Cities, just like his sister did, and halfway through the program, I find out that he would have to fly by himself from California all the way to New York, and he's only 11 at that time. So, I said, “Okay, let’s go ahead and change.” We changed to the Irish Culture. Halfway through that, I find out again that he would have to fly by himself. There was a little bit of decline in communication with program coordinators and me as the parent. So, I had to change a third time.

This time, we found a delegation that was leaving together out of San Francisco, so they could fly to New York together and then out to Europe. So, that’s why we ended up choosing the European Legacies. My son's favorite was the Alpine Coaster when he was in Austria. People to People program exceeded their expectations. And, I would like my daughter to go either Australia or somewhere in Asia the summer from her junior into her senior year.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

Both my daughters, they’re twins, chose the European Odyssey Program from People to People. For their age, I felt that Europe was something that they can relate to. So, we sat and we went through every itinerary there was. And I was pleasantly surprised with the choice they made. They said they wanted to see Paris and wanted to visit the Louvre, and work with the artists, and do the Murano glass class. And so, that narrows it down and I thought it was a great choice. They spent a few days in New York, then Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome. They had a homestay visit in Italy, and ended up a few places in Greece, Athens, and then returned home.

My step-children, who are adults now, were part of the People to People too. I had a great reference and recommendation from them, so I know what a great program it is. I talked about People to People to every parent that I know that they know how important it is for a child to travel. And this program is the best way for them to get that confidence, independence, and to have that experience. The people in the program were very wonderful. In fact, the girls still talk about Michelle who was their leader. She was definitely the mom while I was not with them. Having the knowledge of the things my daughters have seen and the people they’ve met was the highlight of the program.

My daughters still talk about the places they visited, and the things they did, and so it was very exciting. And I know as time passes, they will even more realize what an experience this was. Overall, People to People communicated so well and they were so well organized. The girls actually filled out their surveys upon return and one of them said, “What is something that you would like to change?” They said, “We like to be more in this city.” That tells me that they had a great time.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

My son got a letter from People to People the year before, and I have friends whose children went on the trips. My daughter then went on the Celtic trip in the summer. She had the most fun with the very active activities that required the most activity like the white-water rafting and rappelling. She is definitely more of an activities person rather than a sit-and-listen-to-somebody-lecture. She also enjoyed learning some industry and making friends. That destination was one of the two near in our region and she felt more comfortable because everybody spoke English. She saw a lot, which was a plus for her. She has expressed interest in going again on another trip like to Eastern Europe in the Balkans.

The only complaint that she had was that of the bagged lunches because she hated them. It would have been nice for them to have more local cuisine, even if they had to plan for that and bring money with them. I wished they weren't quite as expensive too. But, as far as everything else, the chaperones were great, and there was a lot of communication from them. Also, I would encourage them to continue to have as many active things as they do.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I have just returned from a 20-day trip across Europe...my 13th trip as a teacher leader with the People to People International Student Travel program. Since my first trip back in 2004 to Western Canada with People to People, I have traveled again and again as a teacher leader with this program. Having also traveled with a competitor, I can tell you that PTP is a cut above the rest. The behind-the-scenes access at every turn opens the eyes of our students to a world beyond their own hometown. I have learned alongside students as we've made cheese in Switzerland, brick oven pizza in Italy, hand-turned wooden clogs in The Netherlands and cooked paella in Spain. We have camped in teepees in Canada, gone white water rafting in the Swiss Alps, rappelled off a tower in Italy, held koalas in Australia and survived a ropes course in Austria.

Most meaningful, however, is the personal connection students make when experiencing the home stay. For two or three nights, students live with a local family, even attending school with their host student! People to People has afforded us all so many unparalleled experiences, lifelong friendships, a true appreciation of "peace through understanding," and a sense of wonder that traditional tourist travel programs cannot match. If you are on the fence about sending your student, don't be. Your child will return to you changed for the better!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I traveled with People to People as a student, and now I am a leader with this amazing company. I traveled with them when I was 13 years old, and it changed my life. I grew up in a very small town, and I had never been to summer camp, or flown, and my parents sent me all the way to the South Pacific! While we had always done summer vacations as a family, international travel changed me and made me grow in ways I never imagined. I came back much more outgoing, confident, and independent. I started high school that fall at a large regional high school, and it was nowhere near as daunting as it would have been had I not done the program.

I have been a leader with People to People since 2011. I have travels with students to over 20 countries in that time. People to People offers truly immersive travel to students, and goes far beyond the tourist spots. From staying in a Maori village, bowling with students in Latvia, making butter on a farm in Spain, meeting with a Holocaust expert in Vienna, or speaking with a Franciscan monk in Italy, this program offers experiences you can’t get on your own. Many People to People programs also offer homestay experiences, where students stay with a local family for a few nights. They get a real inside look at daily life in the countries we visit. After I traveled as a student I stayed in contact with my homestay families for several years. I am still in touch with some of my homestay families that I have stayed with as a leader.

Another important component of the program is community service, it’s important to give back. From volunteering at a sea turtle rescue in Greece, to cutting Peat Moss in Ireland to donate to elderly residents, students participate in projects to help the communities they visit. The program also challenges students to get out of their comfort zones. It can be small, such as trying unfamiliar local foods, to large, like abseiling down a cliff. It is all important for personal development. I love watching students try new things, and often discovering they like things they didn’t think they would, or accomplishing something they didn’t think they could do. This program provides so much to students. I am very proud to be part of it, both as an alumni and a leader!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about People to People International Student Travel Programs?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

People to People Student Travel is a wonderful hands-on, minds-on experience. Students get to experience other cultures and interact with students while traveling. People to People is a SAFE, FUN adventure. The pre-travel webinars cover everything from specific itineraries, to dining etiquette, to doing laundry while abroad. Leaders are background checked, CPR certified, First Aid certified and trained. Students return from a People to People program with their horizon broadened, their outlook changed and friends for life!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Back when my daughter was in fifth grade, People to People International Student Travel Programs had sent letters. We had gotten a letter in the mail and it said that they were People to People and that they do international travel and that it’s part of an educational program. It gave us a little description and then they offered a presentation where you went into an auditorium in Southern Maryland. We went and they had a big presentation and talked more about the trips that we were interested in. Then we signed up from there.

My daughter recently went to England and France. She was gone for about 20 days. She is in the theater and wanted to see the theater part of the trip. She also loves Harry Potter and was also drawn to that part of the trip, in addition to being on the London Eye and seeing parts of France, the Louvre and Eiffel Tower. She has also been on two other trips before that. She went to Australia and to Alaska.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My daughter chose the Australia Odyssey program. Her older sister and her cousin both went on People to People Australia, so she thought she had to. It’s better to do it when you’re young. The program is good, but, seven years ago, I was more impressed with my older daughter. The other one had a little different housing and there were three days more

People to People would come to the school. It was very strong here in Chester County, and they had 40 students from this area. Both times my older daughter went, she was thrilled. Sharon, the leader, was outstanding with her in Europe. So, she was thrilled that she was the same leader. She talked about Bondi beach a lot, as well as the Opera House, Sydney Cricket Ground and the kangaroo. She also said that the home stay was outstanding, and she loved the wildlife preserve. The one thing that she was disappointed in, however, was the Aboriginal. She said, “It was okay. Throw the boomerang whatnot.” It was not as exciting as all the rest. Nevertheless, overall, I'd recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

People to People has been a part of my life for 14 years. As a world language educator, there is no better educational experience for students than being immersed in language and culture. People to People offers this and so much more. I was a leader in the inaugural Spanish Immersion program during the summer of 2019. Students were completely immersed in the Spanish language and culture for 30-days. They came back more confident, self-reliant, responsible young people with a greater appreciation of the Spanish way of life. They also improved their Spanish tremendously through interaction with locals, experiencing a week-long homestay, and getting 30-hours of Spanish language instruction at an international school. This program changes lives and opens doors to experiences students cannot get inside of a traditional classroom. The friendship and bond the students create during a People to People itinerary really does last a lifetime!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I absolutely loved the trip I had the honor to be on in July of 2019 to Costa Rica. We helped, donated and were educated on so many amazing and definitely time and energy worthy causes that can save and change lives. Getting the opportunity to not only help, but meet the people we were helping will stay with me for the rest of my life. Community service is something I truly love to do, so the fact that I can combine community service with traveling around the world with an amazing organization surrounded by wonderful people is nearly surreal.

I am currently signed up to go on the trip to South Africa this coming summer in July of 2020 and I couldn’t be more happier and excited to go. Having an opportunity of a lifetime to not only travel, but touch the hearts of those I meet on my travels makes me genuinely happy and proud to be part of this beautiful organization. Thank you all so much for all the outstanding work you do around the world and for giving regular people like me opportunities we would’ve never gotten otherwise.

People to People International Student Travel Programs Company Information