Hotwire
3.19/5

Looking for a travel site?

Hotwire

1393 Hotwire Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2019

Don’t use them. They need to be put out of business for saying they can’t make simple changes, in this age of technology just about anything can be done. They just don’t want to. They put you on hold and you know they are not making any effort to resolve your issue. There is no customer service.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Booked online a promised 3 star hotel from a chain in Denver. Arrived at a construction site in high crime area. Holes in walls patched but not painted. Carpet beyond cleaning, had not been replaced yet. Large hole in courtyard where pool had been removed. Some balconies removed, sporadic pieces of irrigation hose sticking out of ground. Still in demolition phase of total rehab project. Construction crew was living on site. Asked front desk their rate, was cheaper than what I paid.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I recently made auto rental reservations at the MCO airport and specifically paid more for a rental so that I would not have to take a shuttle from the airport. I wanted and selected reservations for IN TERMINAL rental. Well, the ** booked me with SIXT which is off airport and I had to walk what seemed like a mile, alone, with two huge suitcases, to get outside to take a shuttle. I called customer service and they were like 'TOO BAD. WE CANNOT CANCEL OR MODIFY RESERVATIONS OR GIVE YOU A PARTIAL REFUND. WE ALREADY GOT YOUR MONEY AND DON'T GIVE A ** WHAT YOU SAY". SCREW HOTWIRE!!!! I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Car Rental Confirmation Email Never Sent. I booked a car through Hotwire for a trip. I never received a confirmation from Hotwire. I check my spam, trash and regular inbox at least 50 times. There was no email ever sent. I didn't realize this until I arrived. So I booked with another company and noticed after the fact that Hotwire still charge my credit card. I called them immediately and explained this to customer service hotline. Min and Angel were extremely rude. They implied that I made the entire story up. They stated that I entered the confirmation number in during the call, and thus must have received an email. This is total nonsense. I was placed on hold for a 3rd time during the conversation and the call disconnected. I will NEVER use Hotwire ever again.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I booked a hotel with Hotwire. I was suppose to get a 4 star hotel. Instead I received a Russell Court Hotel which is a one or two star hotel that I could book on my own for $2.00 more. Very, very disappointed with Hotwire. Would not use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: May 17, 2019

Booked at a two star but didn't know I was going to smell like pee, have brown stains on the towel, lots of black mold around the sink, no blinds on the bedroom window and the thing that made me run out of there was a roach dropped from the bathroom ceiling close to my face.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I booked a hotel on Hotwire that was 4 stars rs. I show up at the hotel and I was told that they overbooked and that they made me a reservation at the Comfort Inn. Comfort Inn is 2 stars. When I called Hotwire they called the hotel that I originally booked and the hotel said that they did not say that to me and that I stayed at the hotel. Hotwire refused to give me a credit.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I used Hotwire.com to book a hotel. It is said to be 3-star hotel and guaranteed to be chains like Four Points and Crown Plaza. After I paid it is a Quality Inn. Since when Quality Inn become a 3 star hotel. In Google, it is one star.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I am from Canada and I made a booking for a trip to Barcelona. Initially I thought it turned out to be a good deal as the Hotwire rate was 50% off. I checked the rates in other places (still not 50% saving) but all looked still ok after the booking. Except when I looked at my Visa statement, it shows that the booking was in USD dollars adding 30% to it. Nowhere on the page when I booked it said US dollar and I don’t know why a Canadian residence is referred to the US page booking anyway. The price is now more than what I would have paid normally. When I called them, they say they can’t do anything about this and this is their policy as there is no cancellation on this.

I understand the terms and conditions of the using the Hotwire rate and I won’t complain if the deals or the hotels turn out not to be so good afterward. (Example 2nd hotel I booked was still not good deal but at least it was Canadian dollar and I don’t feel cheated cause I knew it going in.) My frustration is in feeling getting scammed by not anywhere mentioning about the USD dollar and now having to pay more than the usual booking. I used to travel a lot and Hotwire was really good in the past. But recently the quality and the service has dropped quite considerably and feel like a scam. The savings are never there and really BEWARE of the dollar or the currency you’re booking. You might find out they charge you USD dollar after you booked. Would never use them again.

Original review: May 10, 2019

In March, my boyfriend bought me a ticket to visit him in Fort McMurray, Canada. Before my trip to visit him, something came up and we needed to cancel the flight. Apparently your company doesn’t provide refunds, only credits. Whatever. We made that work and planned a trip around using this credit ($441). After spending an hour and a half on the phone with an agent, who originally told me I could use the credit to fly to Fort McMurray ONLY, she finally confirmed I was able to book a flight to Comox, BC, but I had to pay $150 to USE my credit.

So my credit has now gone down from $441 to $291, which makes absolutely no sense because it’s money we already spent with your company!! Not only this, but I was not able to carry over any of the credit left over to use on his ticket, it was money we had to forfeit, which again! MAKES NO SENSE BECAUSE IT'S MONEY WE ALREADY PAID!! But at this time, as frustrated as I was, I let it go because we wanted to use this credit up.

Fast forward to today when I got my visa statement, imagine my surprise when I see that the $150 I had to pay to USE MY OWN CREDIT was actually an American dollar amount and had been converted to $204.84 Canadian. The fact that the person on the phone could clearly see I live in Canada and didn’t mention anything about a conversion rate is ridiculous. Not only that, I bought a separate ticket for my boyfriend that should have cost $305, once again, I was not told this was in US and the ticket actually cost $421.37 Canadian. A trip for two cost me more than $620 BUT I HAD A $441 CREDIT!!! I am so disgusted and appalled at Hotwire's business practices and I can promise you we will never be using them again for anything and we will be telling EVERYONE what a horrendous experience it has been.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I purchased Flight/Hotel/Car with this company and Canceled and rebooked it on a different date. For them to refund $800 from the original booking it took me and my husband being on hold for more than 10 hours and 3 weeks worth of phone calls. I would never ever recommend them to anyone or use their service ever again. I made sure every single of my family members and friends knows how horrid this company is. They will put you on hold for hours hoping you will hang up just to get on the phone and pretend that they don’t hear you and hang up anyways.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Extremely disappointed and infuriated regarding Hotwire services. Booked a hotel to stay in Nashville, TN April 20th after traveling 8 hours from S.C. I received the confirmation and receipt of payment. My wife and I get to the hotel where we had booked, only to be told they are sold out of rooms and that they have no availability. How is this even possible? Mind you, we had been driving for 8 hours and it was now 12:30am. We made a reservation in Nashville because neither myself or wife can see well driving at night and it would be a halfway point to come back to Chicago.

The hotel told us that Hotwire overbooked them. We call Hotwire customer service to be told that as we are driving to try and find another hotel we needed to download an app ourselves. Terrible customer service, Hotwire messed up and expects their customers to resolve the issue by themselves? Hotwire then tells us all other hotels in the area are booked and the best they could do is either refund us the money or give us $50 credit to use towards another hotel… Still did not fix the problem of us having a place to sleep. We had to drive in the middle of the night back to Chicago, another 8 hour drive with no sleep. I suggest that you confirm that when you are taking people's money that the hotel they have “reservations” for is actually available. TERRIBLE customer service and we will NEVER use Hotwire again.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I booked a hotel in Las Vegas. I was never informed that for non smokers room I would have to pay an upgrade. I went with my family. My young kid had pneumonia twice and we couldn`t by any chance stay in a smokers room and that is what the hotel could offer me with the reservation that I had. I made the complaint to Hotwire but they didn`t reimburse me the upgrade that I had to pay. Finally I finished paying a more expensive rate that I would have paid in other sites or even in the website of the hotel.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I booked today a hotel in NYC for June 2ed. 2 rooms. They offered a hotel in the Times Square area, one out of 4 hotels. I booked, the price is 200$ a night and I got Yotel hotel. Then I found out through TripAdvisor that there is no door between the room and the toilet. I called them immodestly. At the beginning they said they would check with the hotel. After they did check and the hotel confirmed that information they said they can not do anything about it. Can not give me any other hotel on that category, on their choice, or cancel the reservation. So I'm paying more than 200$ per night for a room with a toilet inside the room. They would not send me this in writing either, but the case id no. is ** and the supervisor name is Diana agent id **.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Booked a extremely business trip with Hotwire for Chantilly Virginia, Extended Stay America. Hotwire showed Extended Stay as a 4.5 star hotel. After checking in, I walked into my room 203, a bad smell and very hot. I turned on AC, a loud screeching noise came out. Longer it stayed on, louder it got. I contacted the front desk and because I booked thru Hotwire, I had to change reservation thru Hotwire. I contacted customer service and Hotwire wanted to change my reservation for $94 a night.

I explained I booked the room for $54 a night, they wouldn't budge. I went on Hotwire site, found the room for $54 a night and told the rude person on the phone. He argued that it was incorrect and couldn't change my reservation. Since it was before 6 pm, the hotel let me cancel the reservation, I went back on Hotwire and re-booked for $54 a night. Most frustrating thing, I had the Hotwire insurance as well, I paid extra for and they wouldn't honor it. I contacted Hotwire and advised I canceled my reservation and re-booked it. Again a rude person looked up my account and advised it could take up to 7 days to credit my credit card, wouldn't use credit for new reservation.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I made a non-refundable, undisclosed Quebec City hotel reservation through Hotwire, believing it would be for a guaranteed 4-star property. I had done this type of booking before through Travelocity and was very pleased with the results. Out of curiosity, after I paid in full for a week's stay, I went to the hotel's website and checked out their retail prices. Wow. I saved a whole $7 a night off the $200+ regular room rate. Disappointing, but as the hotel turned out to be part of the Marriott rewards program, I thought my traveling companion's membership might get us a room upgrade and several other benefits. Wrong.

This hotel, and probably most others, does not extend member benefits to those that make reservations through third party vendors like Hotwire. Feeling even more disappointed, I then looked at Yelp reviews of the hotel. Some were good, but others were so concerning that I would not have booked this hotel otherwise. I called Hotwire to discuss these and other concerns. The representative just kept repeating the all-bookings-are-final-no refunds-no changes policy. My trip is scheduled several months out. I hope the hotel will have been a good choice after all. As for Hotwire, never again.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Hotwire has good deals but they suck. This is the second time I’ve had a bad experience. I won’t use Hotwire again! I booked a hotel. The hotel said I can’t stay there and I spent all my money on the room, they couldn’t move the location so I got stuck sleeping in the car. The customer service is horrible!!!! The lady just acted like she didn’t understand. I had to wait forever! Just horrible!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I booked a rental car with Hotwire.com (prepaid). I booked a luxury car to go on a road trip to San Diego. Hotwire picks the rental car company and they selected NU Rental Car. I have never heard of them, but once the transaction is complete, well you are stuck. I get to the rental car place and they tell me that I have to pay an additional $100.00 for unlimited miles. Hotwire.com advertised it as unlimited miles. I called Hotwire.com and waited on hold for over 30 minutes to find out that they weren't going to do anything for me.

They told me that once a vehicle is paid for it is paid for. I should just take the vehicle and pay the additional $100.00. So I go to the counter to pay the additional $100.00 and they charge me $120.00 telling me that the guy earlier misquoted the amount. Now I am really getting mad, then they tell me that they don't have the Cadillac that I rented but a Chrysler 300 and that is the only car available for a luxury car rate plus the additional rate that I just had to pay. Then to had more pain they made me wait an additional 30 minutes more for the car because it wasn't ready. UGH! I will never use HOTWIRE.COM or NU Rental Car.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I prepaid for an SUV through Hotwire for the Orlando airport. They took me to Ace Orlando which is 8 miles away from airport. After a 2 hour wait in line, they told me they didn't have a car for me even though I prepaid a month before. They then closed the shop and left my family (4 kids and a grandmother of 77 years old) outside the store with no way to get back. I took an Uber which took a while to come and then went back to airport and paid 4 x as much as my reservation (note that the Hotwire price was only slightly better than others when I reserved). They also didn't refund my money until I called and went thru 4 people to get my refund. It sure seems like a scam. Please note that this is the first review I have ever written on anyone as I normally don't have the time but wanted to share.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Booked a mid-size car through Hotwire at ACE in Tampa Airport. Received a compact Nissan Versa. Counter at Tampa Airport was ridiculously busy and I was told there was no other vehicle. When I returned from vacation, I contacted Hotwire and was told that they do no cash back refunds, regardless of what happened. Later that day, I received an email confirming my booking of a hotel in Irvine, TX - which I did not book! The confirmation showed my email address and phone number, but someone else's name and credit card information. I called Hotwire customer service and was told "it's a booking that can't be canceled". So someone either used my information or the agent from earlier in the day mixed my information up with someone else's. Obviously should not keep an account with them, check out as a guest if you use them at all or your credit card information will be vulnerable. I will not use Hotwire again.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Always rent cars in-terminal. Started to book deal of the day and was sidetracked. Went back 30 minutes later and taxes had increased from $157 to $217. Deal of the day was advertised as "in-terminal" which is what we always select. Long story short, deal was not in terminal and a distance away from the airport; had that experience before and it took 90 minutes to navigate the process and get the car. Called within minutes of the booking and customer service was less than helpful. Even offered to pay more for another car in terminal and was declined by the supervisor. We've used Hotwire for years, but never again.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I booked a hotel and the final price came back $15 higher than it stated right before I booked the hotel. Hotwire refuses to give me a refund for the $15 I was over charged even though I can prove that I was charged the wrong price. They are thieves! Do not trust them!

Original review: April 21, 2019

Yesterday I arrived at Tampa airport quite late due to a 2-hour delay caused by mechanical issues on the plane. When I went to "Ace" car rental at 11:30 pm to get my reserved car I was surprised to find the counter empty and closed. I immediately found a number and called "Ace" but they would not make any arrangements to satisfy me.

So I called Hotwire figuring it would take me an hour to connect with an operator, but surprisingly within 2 minutes the operator Nannette was on the phone. She easily pulled my information and inquired what can she do to help. I related my situation and explained how frustrated I was and didn't want to spend anything extra for a situation that was not my fault. Nannette politely explained my options and initiated a search. She was able to find a new rental from Thrifty and cancel my other reservation... I ended up saving $70 in the process. I am so appreciative of all the help and professionalism that Nannette displayed that I will try to use Hotwire much more in my future travel plans.

Original review: April 18, 2019

They stated several things about the hotel I booked that were not correct and then basically said "oh well, you used it anyways so too bad.." Not much choice being 1000 miles away from home during spring vacation. I didn't even ask for a full refund, just half for the mis-information. I have my itinerary and I also save a screenshot of their advertising being incorrect and they refuse to make it right. They used to be a great company. Not sure what happened. I will never use them again. Ever!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Hot rate 3.5 star. "Member pricing". What a scam. I booked a 3.5 star and was guaranteed 1 of the 4. Well I sure did get the $61 hotel and not 1 of the higher priced places (as much as $143.00 a night ). Who regulates this. Is there 1 higher priced room for every thousand rooms sold? How can you check? Every time I have booked with Hotwire I get the cheapest room of the 4. Has anybody ever lucked out or is this just 1 big scam? The room I got was 75 cent less than if I booked it direct with the hotel. At least I would have earned points booking it direct and no penalties if I canceled. Shame on me for trying Hotwire again. I have learned my lesson. There customer service is terrible. I think someone who has the time and the means should call them out legally to find out if this is a scam.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have been a Hotwire customer for years, and have made many reservations through you that I have never disputed. Unfortunately, I will no longer book through them. I just booked a "Hot Rate" hotel through Hotwire. So I expected to get a sizeable discount for the gamble I am taking and because it says on your website that the reason the hotels don't want their names known so that their discounts are not immediately known.

Once I booked and received the name of the hotel I checked the cost for the same room at the same hotel on Expedia and I found out that I only received a $4 discount of the total price (Expedia owns Hotwire). This is false advertising because under the conditions of taking such a risk and seeing "Hot Rate" with flames coming out of the price a customer is reasonably expected to obtain a much larger discount than $4. Within minutes of finding this out, I called customer service to let them know about this, and ask to cancel my reservation. I spoke to the customer service person and then his supervisor for over 40 minutes. I was given a series of lectures about how the booking systems and marketing departments work vis a vis Expedia, and how $4 is still cheaper. Yes, it is cheaper, but so insignificantly so that it is an insult. Going forward I will refrain from using Hotwire both for the false advertising and the patronizing tone from customer service.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I was very unhappy with the Hotwire service on 4/7/19 and feel the need to share. I have used Hotwire for the last few years for work and have never had an issue up until now. I rented a car through the Hotwire service with Advantage. First off, the Advantage address was not on the reservation. The only address shown was LaGuardia Airport which is incorrect information. Once I finally got to my destination, after I received assistance at the airport, there was no car available for me! How can this happen? This is completely unacceptable.

The people at Advantage blamed Hotwire for booking when they don’t have cars. They said I will have to wait for someone to return a car and who knows if that will happen since it was nice out?! I will also be contacting Advantage because that is also not proper service. Like I stated in the beginning, I have used you for over 2 years and have never had an issue so I was really disappointed. Since Hotwire service has always been great, I was with someone else, and they trusted me. This is very unprofessional service bottom line.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Recently my family and I were displaced due to a tornado. I booked a room on Hotwire, my family and I travel to the hotel only to be told that the hotel does not have any rooms available, and that I should contact Hotwire. I contacted Hotwire and spoke with one of the rudest customer service reps that I have ever dealt with in my life. She would not allow me to use the money that I paid for my original booking towards another hotel. She told me that Hotwire has a no cancellation policy, but if I’m not mistaken technically this cancellation was totally Hotwire’s fault for selling rooms to a hotel that did not have any vacancies.

Ultimately I was told that it was my fault that I arrived at the hotel late, (I booked the hotel one hour prior to my arrival). I WILL NEVER EVER SPEND ANOTHER DIME WITH HOTWIRE. I intend to leave this review on every platform that I can possibly leave it on. This says a lot about a company that has no remorse for a family displaced by a storm.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I booked a Chevy Tahoe Full Size 7 pass and 3 bags of luggage. Got to Ace rental cars and they gave me a Nissan Pathfinder. Good luck getting 3 bags and 7 people in it! Ace had Nissan Armada which is comparable but they refused to give me one. I showed them my reservation with the picture and description I what I booked but they refused to make the change. I called Hotwire, explained everything and once again they refused to do anything about it. Classic bait and switch as well as false advertising! Hotwire blamed Ace Rent a Car and Ace Rent a Car blamed Hotwire. Not worth the hassle!

Original review: April 11, 2019

Do not rent from them.. I was told a would get a Tahoe as I need for 7 people.. When I got to the rental place, they don't even have Tahoes and the Durango is not the same size.. Hotwire does not check with companies for inventory.. We can get 7 small people in but hardly any luggage.. No help from hotwire.. My son had same problem.. Is a bait and switch RIP off.

Hotwire.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotwire is a San Francisco-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates on a wide range of services, including flights, car rentals and hotel rooms.

• Bundled services: Hotwire lets customers bundle travel services to get discounts.

• Partners: Hotwire partners with several other travel businesses, including Expedia and Hotels.com to access more deals.

• Mobile app: The iOS mobile app lets customers use Apple Pay.

• Last-minute deals: Hotwire publishes steep discounts from hotels that want to fill rooms at the last minute.

• Cancellations: Hotwire accepts cancellations for rooms at most hotels.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs