Hotwire

Hotwire

3.8/5 (630 ratings)

About Hotwire

Hotwire is a travel and vacation website that offers deeply discounted deals on hotels, car rentals, flights and more. With Hotwire, you can book deals directly from the site or through the company’s app.

Pros

• Deals in many categories
  • Easy to book online or with app
  • Significantly discounted rates

Cons

• No cancellations
  • Doesn’t show hotel name until booked

Bottom Line

Hotwire sells hotel rooms, car rentals, flights and vacation packages that might otherwise go unsold for discounted rates. It partners with many major companies to provide a variety of options.

Top Hotwire Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Verified

I reserved a hotel room using the hot rate tool, which gives you an undisclosed hotel in a certain star range for a very good price. ... When I arrived at my hotel this time, ther...

Verified

Hotwire gives best deals and details and handles issues much faster than others. They give you area comparisons and options to add to your trip like rental car and outings. The de...

What is Hotwire?

Hotwire finds hotel rooms, rental cars and vacation packages at deeply discounted rates. Travelers can look up travel information on the website or the mobile app and access 24/7 customer service.

The company advertises the ability to connect you with four-star hotels at two-star prices, and it partners with leaders in the travel industry, such as Hilton, Hyatt and most major car rental companies and airlines.

How does Hotwire work?

You can use Hotwire to search for flights, hotel accommodations, rental cars and vacation experiences. You will not see the hotel's name until you book your stay — this is what allows Hotwire to offer such deep discounts.

Hotwire gives you other information about the hotel, such as the star rating, customer reviews, the city where it's located, an area map and sometimes even a detailed description of the local neighborhood and a list of local landmarks.

Hotwire has an easy-to-use filter option so you can narrow down your search by location and date.

Hotels
Enter your destination, check-in date, check-out date and how many guests will be traveling to have Hotwire show you a list of hotels in the area, their discounted rates, their Expedia reviews and other basic info. No names or addresses are included.

You can filter your search by hotel class, price range, amenities, guest rating and the general area. Before you book, you’ll see the base rate, your dates and additional fees. Once you book, the sale is final and you receive the name of the hotel, the address and other specifics.

Car rental
Booking a rental car on Hotwire works much like booking a hotel. You enter your dates and pickup and dropoff location. Hotwire lets you choose your preferred car type and set your budget before presenting a list of rental cars at discounted rates.
Flights
When you’re booking flights, Hotwire tells you the name of the airline you’ll be flying with. It also gives you flight details such as change fees and the number of layovers.
Vacation experiences
When you book a vacation package with Hotwire, you have the option to bundle your hotel, car and flight.

Hotwire prices

While Hotwire strives to give you the best vacation experiences at low prices, there are a few other fees to consider before booking. Before you confirm your purchase, Hotwire shows you a breakdown of your purchase, including the base rate and its “tax recovery charges and fees.” These fees vary based on the hotel that you're assigned.

It's also important to remember that some hotels have additional costs, such as parking, resort fees and convention fees. These charges typically aren't listed as part of the booking process, and travelers pay these extra fees with the hotel company directly.

Travelers can save more money with Hotwire by downloading the app and taking advantage of last-minute travel deals.

Hotwire FAQ

Who owns Hotwire?
Expedia Group owns Hotwire.
How do I get a refund from Hotwire?
All tickets and purchases through Hotwire are final and will not be refunded. All changes and cancellations must be made through the hotel, car rental company or airline.
How does Hotwire work for hotels?
Travelers enter their trip information into the search, and Hotwire produces a list of discounted rates available for that time. Customers do not know the name of the hotel until they make a reservation, but they do receive information about the hotel’s rating, location and customer reviews.
Does Hotwire have promo codes?
Yes. Customers can receive promo codes when they sign up to receive emails from Hotwire.

Is Hotwire legit?

Hotwire is a reputable travel company that is recognized across the globe for providing valid and discounted travel accommodations. It is owned by Expedia Group, another trusted and well-established leader in the travel industry. Some people may not like not knowing the name of the hotel they’re staying at until making a reservation, but Hotwire is worth checking out if your primary goal is keeping costs down when traveling.

Hotwire Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

They took my booking, took my money, then added 12 a day to my booking when I showed up to pick up car and told me they wanted a 1200 dollar deposit. None of this is in my contract of course and they won't release the car. I called Hotwire, the lady who barely spoke English I think said "I can't find information on what you should. Get your money back from economy car rental." Who of course says get your money back from hotwire so I have no choice but to get my money back from the credit card company.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

It was a really horrible experience for me since I wanted to amend or cancel my reservation, but I was told there was no flexibility because my reservation was a special status reservation. Recently, I discovered that no cancellation is possible for my arrangement following a reservation, regardless of the justification or error you provide.

I requested some flexibility from them, informed them that I wouldn't be able to take the car, and even offered to purchase it in exchange for paying a bit more from a place closer to my home. However, no flexibility was allowed, and I was informed that I had to pay $250 for nothing. This is unacceptable and incomprehensible.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

Hotwire does not care about the safety of the customers they sell their service too. Hotwire takes no responsibility for the product of the companies they partner with. After arriving at our destination and getting to Dollar rent-a-car we were informed that there were no cars available despite our reservation. Eventually, a vehicle came in that they gave us that was not what we reserved.

Mid-way through the trip the tire popped on the highway. We realized then that all 4 of the tires were bald, some with wire showing through. When we instructed to exchange the car at the nearest airport we were first given another car with unsafe tires. After losing significant amount of time on our trip dealing with an unsafe vehicle we called Hotwire upon our return. While the cars themselves are also a negative review on Dollar, it is Hotwire that provides the booking and should hold themselves accountable to what they are selling.

The customer service agents for Hotwire disregarded all of our concerns about the safety of the vehicle and their responsibility of setting up a reservation for an unsafe vehicle. It wasn't just one customer service agent, but 4 of them, including two managers, who clearly demonstrated that Hotwire instructs their workers that Hotwire will not take responsibility for their poor service. This company should not be operating if they do not take seriously the concerns of not only safety, but professionalism that their customers should be given.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

I see pages of 1 star reviews. Not sure how they got a 3.8/5 star rating. They must have added all the 1-star reviews together. Very inflexible with cancelations. I am out $1,100 for car rentals. "We are so sorry, but we can't help you" seems to the normal response. AVOID HOTWIRE.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

They charged me $50 more than the amount I agreed to, then claimed it was a different currency (screenshots say it wasn't). Even in the different currency they claim it was meant to be charged in, they overcharged me $5 so even the horrible excuse doesn't work. They won't give me an email to communicate with them which makes sense since Mastercard requires proof of email communication to refute charges and proof there was an attempt to correct direct through the company. They have made it so you cannot prove you gave them a chance to reverse the fraudulent transactions so isn't much I can do, smart scam, horrible fraudulent company.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

Hotwire has proven to be completely inflexible on rental car services despite a medical emergency. Now on top of a medical bill and cancellation of a trip they have taken $1000 from me without refund.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2022

I booked a rental car for Atlanta GA... We were going to see my son graduate from his Army training. Dates changed, Hotwire charged us OVER $300 and refuse to cancel the order. Will NEVER use them again, have never had a similar issue before with Booking.com or others. Buyer BEWARE!!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

I booked a hotel on Hotwire and paid $780 upfront. When I checked out of the hotel, I got a copy of the folio and the charges were only $548. Looks like Hotwire overcharged me over $230. Currently getting the runaround by cust serv.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

We booked a flight for a deal price and realised that the layover was 8 hours. So we tried to cancel the flight on the website and were not able to cancel asking us to call the customer care line. So we did and they say that since it is a deal ticket it cannot be cancelled, however on their website it says tickets can be cancelled with 24 hours. This message is for the general public who want to book with HOTWIRE, please be aware that while booking flights it bargain fare does not show any layover hours. It is only after you pay they will reveal the time and the layover. This is very unfair and very misleading.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

I had made a hotel reservation for two nights and had to cancel. I cancelled within the timeframe stated on my reservation. The hotel charged me for the stay and only refunded me one night. I tried to contact Hotwire and I was being transferred to different telephone numbers, told to contact the hotel, it wasn`t there problem, they didn`t not have the cancellation, to send them my copy of the cancellation, etc... I believed I contacted them over ten times and they are completely brushing me off. Never again. they are not true to there offer of free cancellation, customer service or charging you only when you get to the Hotel!!!

Hotwire Company Information