Hotwire

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The hotel that Hotwire advertised in fort lauderdale fla. was the b ocean resort. They falsified my checkout bill by over a 150 dollars with fraudulent charges. They said I ran up a bar tab at the hotel bar for 50 bucks on wed july 19th. Problem was I was never in that bar number one... and bar is only open on friday and sat nights. I told them to produce a bill with my signature and room number on it. Of course they couldn't. Also made up charges about beach access and resort fees. Total nightmare... Stay far away...

I booked a hotel in London through Hotwire on the recommendation of a friend for the first time about ten days ago for my trip to London. Everything went smoothly on booking and I got the confirmation email from hotwire that the booking has been confirmed with the hotel. I actually booked two rooms and when I noticed that I had to be present for the check in for both rooms, I contacted the hotel and asked them to put down my colleague's name on the booking as well so that he can check in by himself as he would arrive 5 hours before me. The hotel had no problem accommodating my request so everything was great up to this point.

I arrived at London around 8:30 pm and got to the hotel around 10:30 pm. When I showed my confirmation number to the front desk, I was told that my reservation had been canceled by hotwire. I couldn't believe what I heard. I double checked my email and there was no record of hotwire contacting me regarding any issue with my booking. I called hotwire in the hotel lobby and was told by the hotwire operator that my booking had been canceled and there was nothing he could do for me. The only thing he could do was to give me a phone number and I could leave a message at the number and would be contacted by hotwire. I called the number and left a message for them to call me back. At this point, I knew I was on my own so had to work with the hotel to figure something out. The hotel was nice enough to rearrange the room assignments to free up two rooms for me but I had to pay a rate which is 60% higher than what hotwire's booking was.

Now I am back from London and it's been a week from when I left a message with hotwire and I haven't heard anything back from hotwire. They actually kept sending me "great" deals email. I suspect I was caught in some sort of computer operated fraud prevention mechanism. I am a computer engineer and I can totally understand that there could be false positives with such mechanism.

I am a frequent traveller with perfect credit record and I don't know how I could be picked as a potential fraud. But the bottom line is, the follow-through on such incident for customers like me is a strong indicator that this company doesn't care about their customers. I usually don't leave negative feedbacks for service providers but this incident made me feel that I should let people know how hotwire operates so that people know the truth about the company.

Hotwire is a scam! When using Hotwire today their system told me I would get the Balboa Inn if I "booked now." This was in the exact area I needed for my trip with my daughter. SO I booked it right away. Once the booking was finished their system tells me I got the Holiday Inn Express, nowhere near the Balboa Peninsula where I needed to be. When I called their "customer service" line, they said that was just a "suggestion" on what the hotel could be.

I let them know I use their system all the time and when it shows a specific hotel and says to book now, that is the hotel I get. This time that did not happen. And that if that was not going to be the hotel then they should not falsely advertise that hotel. I explained to the rep why I needed to be in a specific location, as we would not have a car and needed to be able to walk to our activities. The rep did not care and just kept insisting that was a "suggestion" of a hotel. I just ran the search again and guess what hotel they are saying I will get? The one I needed! Unbelievable! See photo. I am NEVER using them again!

Hotwire has a serious bug in their reservations system that they as well as consumers are unaware of and puts all Hotwire users at risk of financial loss. While the risk is small, it does exist. I would not recommend using Hotwire for this reason. Here is the problem: At the point during Hotwire's reservation process where the consumer is to confirm his purchase, if Hotwire's system returns an error and failure message, it may still confirm the reservation internally even if it fails, and never sends any confirmation email to the user. Hotwire apparently has no verification process to confirm to itself that it did indeed send a successful email confirmation to its customers, as well as logging system errors and failed reservation attempts.

On June 2 of this year I attempted to make an online hotel reservation on Hotwire while traveling in Europe. At first, Hotwire's system was down, as in not accessible. A short time later at a second attempt, Hotwire was back online, but running slow. I attempted to make a reservation, but at the point of confirmation, I instead received an error message that the confirmation failed, and to try again. I made a second attempt, but received the same error message. I then checked my email for any kind of confirmations from Hotwire, but received NONE. So then I went to Travelocity, where I made a successful reservation. As it turns out, little did I know, that the Travelocity reservation was for the same hotel that Hotwire was going to use for it's mystery hot deal hotel I had attempted to make earlier with them.

So when I check in at the hotel, I give them my name, and the receptionist responds, "Yes, we have your reservation right here, and checks us in. Unknown to me however is that while Hotwire' system failed to send me any email reservation confirmation with any hotel name on it to ME, their system DID manage to send a reservation order to the hotel, and the hotel checked us in under the Hotwire reservation rather than the Travelocity reservation. Additionally upon checking later, I find not one but two charges to my credit card from Hotwire for the reservations I never received, and of course a third charge from Travelocity for that reservation that the hotel never used. The result is that due to the Hotwire errors, I paid not twice for the same reservation but rather THREE TIMES.

Disputed charges through American Express were denied, as Hotwire responded that they found no errors and my hotel stay was logged in under the Hotwire reservation. Communications with Travelocity are ongoing. I have no doubt that deep digging into Hotwire's system error logs for the time of my reservation errors should reveal the problem, this kind of problem investigation is beyond Hotwire's customer support skill level. So Hotwire users be warned.

Hotwire recorded the date of my reservation incorrectly, then refused to refund my fee. I have subsequently learned that Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com and BookingBuddy are all the same company. Which has, by the way, zero regard for honest and ethical business practices. I will not be rolling the dice with these companies again, but instead will reserve through a hotel's website. I should have done this in the first place.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

I booked hotel, paid and kept receiving emails to add nights before or after on same reservation for same hotel. I went ahead and added another night and the rate was higher due to higher charges in fees on top of hotel room rate. I find this dishonest but was told when I called they could charge me anything as they are only stating add additional night. This is very sneaky way of selling additional nights. Spoke to Mary ** and she was not able to help. Her opinion was that they were only offering additional night not same rate. Don't use Hotwire. They had me on hold 20 minutes to get this negative feedback.

I will never use their service again. A total bait and switch scam. Booked a trip to Cabo San Lucas for my son and two of his friends for a graduation gift. The trip was booked back in early May, it's now the end of June. When we booked the trip, we searched only all inclusive hotels. We wanted the boys to be able to stay on site as much as possible. We found a hotel at a very reasonable rate as well as flights that worked. We proceeded to the page to "book" the trip, still with the hotel as all inclusive. We booked and paid, without issue. Received a confirmation email of our booking that included only our itinerary. There were no specifics regarding "what" we booked but we weren't too concerned as we knew what we booked and where.

Cut to today when the boys went to check in. Miraculously, the hotel was no longer all inclusive, there was an additional charge for that at the tune of $92 per guest per day. We were looking at $1200 MORE on top of our already paid $2000 trip. Called Hotwire customer service and all I can say is that is the strongest contradiction of terms I've ever heard. They were absolutely unwilling to help, claimed there was no way that we booked what we booked, that it wasn't all inclusive due to the type of room we booked (which I pointed out, we didn't pick, we took what was offered as part of the deal), even had the nerve to ask me if I had a screenshot of what we booked. HELLO - it was booked 6 weeks ago. When I pointed out that the confirmation they sent didn't even provide helpful details, they responded by implying that wasn't their fault. Absolutely unreal.

Hotwire continues to go down hill in my book. I purchased a Groupon for $30 towards a Hotwire hot rate hotel at $200 a night. I entered my Groupon code and it deducted $30 from the price but when I tried to pay, it told me I just missed the deal as they have sold out of those special priced rooms. The next day I see the same hotel at $200. I try to reserve it with credit card and Groupon but when I hit enter, it says that I missed the deal as they have sold out of the room. I have a feeling it would work if I didn't put the discount code in. They no longer seem legitimate to me and that's really too bad.

I booked a hotel for $94.93 today with Hotwire. And after I finish the booking I noticed that there was an additional $94 per day for cleanup fee. I felt like I was paying twice per night for the same room. I called Hotwire Right away but they were not helpful so I called the hotel and they did not want to tell me what their cleaning fee was. They said I had to call Hotwire. Well this all took about 2 hr and I kind of feel like between Hotwire and Bahama Bay Resort in Orlando. They are both running a scam. Buyer beware.

My fiance and I found out my grandma was in ICU on life support the day we were suppose to leave for vacation. We canceled our flights and then we tried to cancel our hotel that we booked through Hotwire. The Hotwire team refused to cancel our hotel reservations without proof of the condition of my grandma. They were very insensitive and they were asking for information that is confidential. We refused to ask the doctor or my family for that information because of the seriousness of my grandmother's illness and the pain my family was going through. We were not able to cancel our reservation or get our money back. I would advise no one to use Hotwire.com. Worst corporation ever. I am deeply hurt by the customer service agents' lack of compassion and I will be taking further action.

Hotwire rate when I booked a hotel in Ireland was $353 per night. I booked two nights and paid in advance not noticing that the confirmed rate increased to $393 until about 1 hour later when I decided to add one more day to the stay. All the hotel sites showed the room at $353 - Expedia, Hotel.com and Hotwire. I booked the single night on Expedia, same room, for $353. There were no add-ons for tax, service or fees. I called Hotwire to request an adjustment and after 45 minutes, the woman could not understand, or understood and was not going to do an adjustment, so I hung up. I called a second time and the same thing happened.

Hotwire advertises they will price match, but they do not. Isn't that fraud? I wrote to their customer service department. They responded that I should call to discuss. The number they gave me was their booking number! That person said there were no additional fees added and that I just booked two different rates. I wrote to customer service again and they wrote back that I had spoken with the hotel and been told $393 was the rate. This was totally false! Now I take to the internet.

Family just went to Sayulita, Mexico for vacation and rented two minivans ($700) for the week online through Hotwire. Printed out "confirmed reservation" pages for each, but when we arrived in Puerto Vallarta Mexico and went to the Europcar Rental Center, they had no vans in inventory and said it would be several days. 6 adults, 4 young children and 16 bags of luggage and no way to get to our rental house an hour away in Sayulita. Stating "confirmed reservation" when there's no inventory is FRAUDULENT! Never again will I use Hotwire for anything.

On June 7, I check-in at Rodeway Inn, Florence, SC that I booked on Hotwire.com. Something was up when I saw a big sign at the front desk that said, "No Refund after 15 minutes". The front desk gave me the key to room #119 for 2 nights... and, after driving to room, it was clear that I had made a big error with the Hotwire booking. To start with, there were no cars in parking lot. However, the bullet hole in the front window made me into a serious "don't wanter". After approximately 4 hours, I returned room keys. I would think that the Hotwire staff would check their hotels listed. This hotel had serious issues, and should've not been listed on their website, it was below 1 star! I am requesting a full refund and a removal of hotel from website.

I called Hotwire because I never received a confirmation of a reservation. They insisted they had no reservation for me on file because my bank declined the charge. When I replied that the charge was processed on my credit card, the person on the phone was insulting and insisted that the reservation was not made and I was not charged. I hung up after almost an hour of arguing with the representative and called a hotel to make a direct reservation. Turns out, I called the hotel that Hotwire had booked and they did indeed have the reservation, which Hotwire had outsourced to Bonotel. When I contacted Hotwire Customer Service and complained about not receiving a confirmation and being insulted by their representative, I was told again that I never made a reservation. I was getting nowhere on that call so I complained via email.

In the email, I provided my credit card statement with the processed charge as well as a thank you email from Hotwire asking how I enjoyed my hotel stay (which I received a couple days after the reservation I supposedly never had). Despite providing this information and making clear I was not given a confirmation number, every email exchange I have had with Hotwire customer service involves a statement that my reservation cannot be found or was never made. After sending the evidence several times, I received an email on June 2 from Hotwire saying they would reverse the charge because of my dissatisfaction, but that never happened. I have emailed Hotwire twice now about the status of the credit. Today they responded with the statement that they cannot find any record or evidence that there ever was a reservation. I am totally frustrated.

I booked a hotel in Las Vegas for March 3rd to March 5th in Las Vegas for over $200. I also bought the Allianz Insurance with it because I was Pregnant and unsure if I would be healthy enough for traveling. I had been experiencing an unpredictable on and off sickness with morning sickness/nausea in my 1st trimester and wasn't sure how I would be feeling when the day of the trip arrived. My doctor said that I should be feeling better by March since I was heading into my 2nd trimester and that I should be able to take a short trip if I wanted to for my mom's birthday. I booked the trip with Hotwire because I had been feeling better for a few days.

Then right before the trip I started getting severe nausea. It was virtually impossible for me to travel under the circumstances. I filed a claim with Allianz Global Assistance on Feb 28th and submitted my supporting documentation which was doctors notes from my doctor stating that I had to stay home and rest since I was getting the sickness again. This was all submitted before the trip and a day before my scheduled Hotwire reservation I received a call from Hotwire stating that my claim was looked at and approved and that I would be receiving a refund but it could take 7-10 days. I waited the 10 days but never received a refund.

Then later on in the Month of March I received a notice saying that my claim was not approved (after I was already told that It would be approved). I had to call again and again because I kept getting hung up on. I spent hours talking to the representative and I kept asking to speak with a manager. They blamed me and said that I should have not booked the trip if I was already sick. They acted like I was stupid for making the booking in the first place and that it was all my fault. They never acknowledged the doctors notes that I had provided either. Pregnancy and Morning sickness are unpredictable events and it comes and goes freely. I also expected to be feeling better because I was heading into my 2nd trimester and I initially believed that I would be fine to go on a 2-day trip.

"On their website it states a frequently asked question - If I cancel my trip do I get my money back? And the response from Allianz is In most cases yes - Trip cancellation coverage gives cash back for prepaid nonrefundable payments if you have to cancel your trip for one of the reasons covered in your policy. Some reasons include: Covered medical emergencies." Hotwire and Allianz insurance do not honor their own policy. I spent money on the insurance and I spent time filing the claim just for it to Not be approved. This is very disappointing since I've been a customer of Hotwire for almost 10 years.

By the time I finished speaking with them I felt mistreated, embarrassed, and humiliated. Their attitude and the way I was spoken to was the worst customer service that I've ever experienced. I still never received a refund - even though I paid for the insurance, submitted all the required documentation, and was told that It would be no problem to get my money back. I will never be a Hotwire customer again after this mistreatment.

BEWARE OF HOTWIRE!!! I did just went through a horrible experience where I was scammed by HOTWIRE with a hotel booking that was much cheaper when booked at hotel website. On top of this after making the claim (10' later) the customer service is non existent, they take weeks to get back (As when you call their 1-800 they ask you to email them) and deny or keep asking question on strong facts as printed screen from hotel website (5' minutes after receiving HOTWIRE confirmation email) that reflects same room for same dates at a 10% lower price than what HOTWIRE charged my card.

I'm a heavy traveler (Concierge Key from American Airlines) and this is by far the worst service experience in 15 years. Still waiting to get my refund back and I keep receiving questions/excuses to delay the process which I'm not planing to give up. Every email takes minimum a week to get responded by a representative that's not interested at all on solving the problem/customer satisfaction. They do not even pay attention to their own booking policy and hire a customer service team. It will only keep moving you around without bringing you a solution.

SCAM, Do not use!!! They booked me two days for a vehicle rental. Took the money out of my account and then when I went to pick up the car, the rental place said they had no rental vehicles. SCAM, SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!! I called to get the money put back in my account and they say they can't do it to the next billing cycle. What a scam.

I booked a hotel and a car for my elderly Mother for a wedding in another state. Hotwire has had me on the phone for 3 hours after they have seen the money come out of my account. The day of the trip they said I needed to book again because they can't find the reservation. I asked if I can send the email confirmation. They informed me that they cannot do that. I have been on the line for 3 hours and still no resolve. The least they can do is get her a hotel room for the price she already paid. This is ridiculous. The CEO should really do something about this.

I booked a flight reservation online and was not given the option to add my 10 month old baby. I called Hotwire directly to add her, simple right? Wrong. I was told that my reservation doesn't allow for any changes. What? But she'll be on my Nope. Ok, I paid for cancellation insurance so cancel my flight and give me my money back. I was told my situation doesn't qualify for cancellation. Someone has to die in order to cancel your flight. Let me talk to a supervisor. No. Denied.

On 05/24/2017 I booked a hotel reservation through Hotwire.com website. I received a confirmation regarding the hotel reservation and payment and itinerary number from Hotwire.com. The hotel reservation was for the Memorial Day Weekend, a one night stay 05/27/17-05/28/17 in Austin, Texas. On 05/27/17 I called the hotel directly and tried to get some information regarding my stay and amenities, at that time the hotel rep asked for my information to confirm my reservation. The hotel rep stated he had no record. We went through the Itinerary number and nothing was reserved.

I called Hotwire.com's customer service number and first confirmed through the phone system the reservation. Then I asked to speak to rep whose first question was whether I had confirmed through the phone system. I had already done this. She then called the hotel and placed me on hold. The hotwire rep came back on the line and stated to me that there was no reservation and she had no explanation why. She stated that the hotel told her to cancel the reservation. I was not given a choice. I asked her, 'Ok so what does this mean? Are you processing a refund? Are you booking my room? What does this mean?" She stated that cancelling the reservation would then create the refund and I can rebook. I said well the prices went up and she said nothing. I was so angry I hung up.

I then called back a few minutes later and spoke to another Hotwire rep who said "You cancelled." I said, "NO, you cancelled. I didn't. You didn't give me a choice." I was told the reservation was to be cancelled and a refund would be coming in 7 days. She indicated the previous rep failed to write any notes and she would have to investigate, per Hotwire policy, where the error occurred. I said, "Really, how in anyway would this have been MY fault. I paid you for a service and received NOTHING in return. You took my money, you charged my credit card, held the money for two days and did not provide the service I had paid for and then say oops and state ok we are processing a refund."

I told the rep the only way that you can fix this is by apologizing, booking the reservation per our initial transaction, NOT charging me the difference for the premium rate as it has increased since the date of my original booking because this was not MY fault but an error committed by Hotwire. I stated this twice and on both occasions I was met with I cannot do that and we have to verify why this mistake occurred and whose fault was it before I can offer any other alternatives besides re-booking your stay today based on today's hotel rates. I stated that I would not re-book with them after they failed to do just that. I will re-book with another website that will actually book my stay. I was offered NO other alternatives.

This was the worst customer service I have ever received for such a flagrant failure of the company. Hotwire failed to take responsibility for their mistake in doing the one job they are paid to do which is make a reservation! BOOKING SITE THAT FAILS TO BOOK. They had no offer to provide me anything other than to take MORE of my money to do the same job at a higher rate that I had already paid them to do once and which they had failed to do already. The entire transaction was a failure and no viable options were provided to rectify the failures of the company. I will NEVER use their service again. I have written to them and I am now providing this verifiable review. I did not travel as planned as a direct result of Hotwire's mistake and I am extremely angry at Hotwire's failure for consideration, customer service, and failure to take responsibility for their mistake.

Tried to book a Hotwire "hot rate" hotel that was advertised to be on the San Antonio Riverwalk. Once the booking was confirmed, the hotel that I got was nowhere near the Riverwalk. Eight minute drive away. 30 minutes of wasted time arguing for a refund, which they finally did. They admitted it was too far from the Riverwalk - but it took the guy forever to come to that conclusion. It's also frustrating trying to communicate with them, because English is not their first language so they parrot back everything you say.

If I can give negative remark, I will give them that. I have been a customer for a long time 10 years. At least give me a loyalty reward. Trying to cancel my existing reservation due to financial emergency, they do not CARE. Avoid this place. You are better off paying extra $10 somewhere else that if you need to cancel they will let you. AGAIN RUN AWAY FROM THIS place.

I had a flight reservation I had booked through Hotwire but was cancelled by JetBlue. I called JetBlue and they said I was entitled to a refund since they had cancelled the flight. The money had to come from Hotwire though, since that was where I paid. After 4 hours on the phone with Hotwire's TERRIBLE customer service, they refused to refund the money, saying it was up to JetBlue to refund (100% not the case since they did not even have my form of payment). They would not call JetBlue or anything. I have to say, Hotwire's customer service is about the worst I have ever encountered. I called JetBlue back (very helpful), they said it happens all the time with Hotwire. I probably will have to pursue the money through an attorney or my credit card. Bottom line, don't use Hotwire, you will 100% regret it regardless of how much money you save.

Horrible experience. Hotwire advertised that I was getting a deal for a "5-star hotel" (Pachtuv Palace in Prague) for 273/night and a savings from the regular price of 600. You can get this hotel right now for 173/night on other sites. The star rating is also questioned by people you have stayed at this hotel. I was just wondering if public opinion believes the company is false advertising?

Hotwire used to be good, but not lately. The price I got to the Movenpick Hotel in Geneva was cheaper at their own website then thru Hotwire. I contacted their customer service but they didn't honor their low price guarantee. Very disappointed.

We booked two rooms in this claimed 4-star hotel that was wheelchair accessible. One person in each room had knee surgery and significant problems climbing and descending stairs. We were required by the hotel to take two rooms for which there was no elevator access and we had to walk two half flights of stairs each way. I tried reporting the false advertising and listing to Hotwire, but they do not care. This is the first supposed 4-star hotel I have encountered in the USA without an elevator. That is bad enough. However, Hotwire claimed and confirmed that the hotel is wheelchair accessible. We were forced to climb a full flight of stairs getting to and from both rooms. Hotwire made a gross misrepresentation and will not correct their listing for future customers. Sadly, Hotwire cannot be trusted.

I'd advise against using Hotwire to book hotels. Long story short, Hotwire told me a hotel I booked through their website had free Wi-Fi and free parking, but neither ended up being true. I had to pay $20 for Internet access and $38.50 for a parking spot only to have the representative at Hotwire imply that I made everything up (they wanted screenshots prior to me booking) and suggested we cancel our booking (which is non-refundable) and get a new place. So, what I learned here is that you should anticipate Hotwire screwing up and screenshot everything when you use them to book a hotel. Otherwise they'll call you a liar and you'll be out money. Just FYI.

I was late for few minutes for check in, and when I called Hotwire to change my flight, they couldn't do it. First they put me on hold for two hours, then finally when the agent came back, she said she couldn't help me because the system wasn't allowing her to complete the change. I had to buy another ticket from the airport. I am will never ever use Hotwire ever again.

Horrible! When I checked this company charged my credit card! Their App is built to scam! Their app on my end when making bookings says my charge is in CDN currency. I never change my settings, it's always on CDN currency! So I go ahead and make my bookings, believing my purchase is in CDN. I don't find out that they HAVE CHARGED ME IN U.S. FUNDS UNTIL MY CREDIT CARD STATEMENT ARRIVES!!! Then I call customer service, and the rep. makes me feel like I'm lying because she sees all my purchases have been in U.S. currency! Well yeah!? Because I didn't find out until today when I checked my card statements!

These guys are doing bad business! I would never pay those prices if I had known the truth! Will never purchase again! I will blast this through all my social media outlets including Google reviews and more and to my entire network of thousands. How the ** do these companies get away with this **? Why are they still around!? I honestly thought this company was reputable back in the day. Today I decided to check their reviews, I am shocked that there are hundreds of similar complaints! Unbelievable!

I wished I would have research this company a little bit more thoroughly because there is no way I would've ever made a purchase through them. It appears that other companies like Booking.com, HotelTonight really have their act together. Not only do they have superb customer service, they do not misrepresent the hotels which is what Hotwire.com does. I spent over 45 minutes on the phone with the travel specialist to tell her how dissatisfied I was and try to find me another hotel in the San Francisco area and she continued to tell me how everything was booked well. I was on the phone with her. I was looking up all the other sites and everyone else had at least a 3 1/2 star hotel available comparable to what I was looking for.

Bottomline is they will not refund any of your money. They will only give you Hotwire dollars which can be used for a credit in the future. Well there is no future with Hotwire.com. I will not be using them ever again. The where. Do your research before you ever considering using Hotwire.com because you'll never get a refund from them.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Hotwire is a San Francisco-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates on a wide range of services, including flights, car rentals and hotel rooms.

• Bundled services: Hotwire lets customers bundle travel services to get discounts.
  • Partners: Hotwire partners with several other travel businesses, including Expedia and Hotels.com to access more deals.
  • Mobile app: The iOS mobile app lets customers use Apple Pay.
  • Last-minute deals: Hotwire publishes steep discounts from hotels that want to fill rooms at the last minute.
  • Cancellations: Hotwire accepts cancellations for rooms at most hotels.
  • Best for Budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites