Hotwire
1.05/5

Looking for a travel site?

Hotwire

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1308 Hotwire Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was scheduling a trip to visit family, everyone was busy at time of my arrival so to make things easy, I decided to rent a car. I wanted a cheap rental because it was to be used to get me to and from the airport only. Booked Hot Rate fare from Hotwire, great price. A few days before trip a family member offered to come and pick me up from airport. Call Hotwire to cancel reservation, was told in very bad English (person from India) that reservation could not be canceled nor money refunded. Agent said I should use car even though I do not needed it. Will book with direct car company site for now on, may pay more but can change or cancel when needed without charge. Never will use this site again!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Not sure how they get away with the scam they are running. I booked a hotel at which time I see the name after I book. I’m ok with that but I noticed the booking was a house. Like a VRBO. I wasn’t aware they did that so I called to cancel. They explained their stupid policy which I’m aware of. I told them that’s deceptive because I expect some kind of hotel. I asked, "How do I get the key?" They said, "Someone will be there." LIE! I drove 4 hours and nobody was there and there were other people waiting for the same house.

I called Hotwire to explain nobody is there. They kept telling me to go to the front desk. There is no front desk. Then they told me I have to go to McDonald's an hour away to get a key from someone. I threatened to call the police at that point. I’m not meeting someone in a dark alley. I have never been so outraged in my life! I’m really surprised nobody has sued them. We need to put together a class action. They said they’ll refund me. I will wait and see otherwise call the bank. Do not use this company.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

This is the third and last time I will ever book thru Hotwire. First time they took my money and the hotel could’ve find my reservation. Took over 5 hrs to check in for them to say, "Book another room thru us and we will refund the original in 5 days." 2nd they took my money after I refuse to stay at the horrible hotel they picked thru the mystery offer. This time I won’t even get into it. Just go thru another website because they are awful, rude and unprofessional. I hate this company. Beware.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I reserved a car with Hotwire and day before my travel, in fact evening before my travel they wrote an email saying car I reserved is not available. I specifically needed a 7 seater. It spoilt my plans for travel the next morning. Also on their email Hotwire said that I could reserve another car with another company and they would pay the difference. However when I called them they said they cannot pay difference but will credit the difference and when I book next time I fee a specific category of ‘hot rentals’ or something like that they will credit that amount. It’s all a sham and the Hotwire is not reliable. I wouldn’t trust renting with them again. The customer service personnel have no answers to any questions and provide zero help.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

There was a booking done in Florida which was completely prepaid and confirmed booking two weeks in advance. Trip was confirmed and on the day I reached the destination the hotel says Hotwire has cancelled the booking and please contact the booking agency. When contacted Hotwire reps states that they can return the money but they can take no responsibility for the mistake which happened. One of the worst experience which has ever happened with a booking in the third party sites.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I begrudgingly give a 1 star rating because I couldn't give them a MINUS 5! Reserved a car for Tampa Int Airport to pick up at Advantage. We paid the full price at the time of booking. When we went to pick up the car, we were told that we owed an additional $210 for "misc taxes." The rental agent suggested that I call Hotwire, which I did. I spent 15 min explaining the situation with a foreign customer service rep. I had to repeat the story multiple times. She offered no help, and suggested that I speak with the car rental agent, whom had just told me to call Hotwire. I requested to speak with a supervisor, and was put on hold for another 15 minutes. I got tired of waiting and hung up. I will NEVER ever use Hotwire again! I suggest that you don't either.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I pre-paid on 10/3/18 for a mid size SUV rental from 12/24-12/28. When I arrived at the airport the rental car company told me that they didn't have any mid size SUVs available, so I was downgraded to an economy car. Upon my return I contacted the rental car company to receive a credit for the amount that I paid above the economy rate. They told me that I needed to speak with Hotwire since that is who I paid to rent the car. I spoke with Hotwire who said that they would give me a credit for "hot dollars". I told them that I did not want a credit, I wanted the cash back that I pre-paid. They refused claiming that all they could offer me was "hot dollars" even though "hot dollars” are mentioned nowhere in the 'rules and restrictions' section of their rental car agreement.

I asked to speak with a manager who told me that they would only give me "hot dollars" and said that I should contact the rental car company directly. I called National again who, again, agreed that I had been downgraded. I called Hotwire back with the reference number for National that agreed that I had been downgraded. National also stated that even though I prepaid through Hotwire for the car, Hotwire never paid them for the rental so there wasn't even anything to refund since they had never been paid in the first place. I called Hotwire back and then again refused to give me anything other than "hot dollars" as a refund (again, this is stated nowhere in their rental car agreement).

Hotwire said that they needed to hear directly from National that I was downgraded but claimed that they were unable to get in touch with them (even though when I called twice that night they answered immediately). I have no idea why I was told to contact National myself if they claim that they need National to tell them themselves that I was downgraded. I spent over 2 hours on the phone and they still refuse to compensate me at all other than these "hot dollars" which not only expire, but I have no interest in ever using because I will never again rent a car through Hotwire. It is absurd that I prepaid 2 1/2 months in advance and did not receive the car that I paid for, was downgraded and they refuse to refund the amount that I overpaid.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I made a reservation at Hotwire for a one night hotel stay. I received a confirmation email following my payment and thought everything was fine but after arriving at the hotel I found out that they did not have a reservation for me. I called the help line twice and after about an hour was able to get a room after Hotwire faxed the info to the desk clerk. If they wouldn’t have had a room, I would’ve been out of luck.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I used Hotwire to book a weekend getaway to New Orleans and have to cancel my plans. I have called back to Hotwire 4 times and now I've been on the phone 45 minutes trying to resolve this issue. The Hotwire rep keeps telling me they cannot reach the hotel by phone. I just spoke with the hotel and was told to contact Hotwire to cancel. This is ridiculous. I will never use these services again. It's a total scam, unprofessional no integrity or honesty in dealing with customers.

After talking with a manager I was told I could call the hotel or she would email my concern to their outside dept to reach out to the hotel, been, on hold for over twenty minutes and still nothing from Hotwire.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I booked a car on Hotwire. I needed pickup in Tampa and dropoff in Fort Meyer. I thought that was what I put down, but to get the special deal it needed to be booked for the same dropoff. So they changed it, and I did not realize. When I did realize the mistake and that the drop and pick up was the same, I called right away! No one could help me change the dropoff location unless I paid an extra $250 for a different drop off location because I booked a special rate car. Needless to say they made money on me, I never picked up the car and my dad had to drive all the way to Tampa to come pick me up.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I made my booking with Hotwire to travel and see family for Christmas. I made this booking the end of November and received a confirmation email directly after. Great! Good deal! So excited! I received NO FURTHER EMAILS OR COMMUNICATION about the reservation. In the email, it clearly states the reservation has been confirmed, no need to reconfirm.

One month later I called their customer service number to get my record locator number so I’m able to check in online the day before my flight. Then I asked why my 13-year old daughter was listed as an adult. I am then told that my flight is canceled. After being placed on hold for more than 5 minutes, I’m told that is correct and the flight was canceled. “Sorry.” So I ask why. I’m told at first because I didn’t confirm the reservation and it’s my fault. I was placed on hold again for about 10-15 minutes and I’m told the same thing, that’s it’s my fault and the airline canceled my reservation the day after I made it. I RECEIVED NO COMMUNICATION ABOUT THIS!!!

Now I am out almost $1200 because they’re keeping my money and it’s the day before we needed to leave to see my family, who I have not been able to see in 11 years FOR CHRISTMAS! I hung up to cool down and called back a few minutes later. Again same thing. It was canceled. I could not get a clear answer as why from this person either other than saying the airline canceled it. I asked about getting my money refunded. I was told it was. I relayed I had checked my account while on hold and money was deducted but never refunded to me. After some arguing back and forth, I’m told it could take at 15 days at least. I asked if they could find me a flight and match the price I had originally paid because it’s not my fault that someone at Hotwire dropped the ball. I got my reservation early because it’s cheaper. So now not only am I out almost $1200, I’m not getting to see my family for Christmas because I was pretty much told tough for you.

Yes, I can make another reservation on another flight. But that was money I saved up for this purpose. And now tickets are much, much more expensive than a month ago and I will not be on the flights I needed and was counting on having. Thank God I called when I did or I would have driven 100+ miles to the airport and found out then. Why was no email sent or phone call made to notify me and why was my money not refunded when it was canceled??!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I purchased a rental car in Houston for 3 days. I booked mid December 2018. 2 days before I was supposed to go, my husband was going into surgery. I called to cancel. They said because it was a hot rate, they needed paperwork stating that he would be unable to travel on their letterhead. No problem. My husband went in to the hospital, and he had an irregular heartbeat so they wouldn't do the surgery.

I called Hotwire to reinstate the car and they said no that they want the paperwork that he had surgery. I told them that the surgery didn't happen and why. Michaelangelo said they wouldn't accept any paperwork that did not say that he did in fact have surgery on those specific days. I was happy to get a letter on their letterhead stating that he would have surgery on a specific date, but if there is NO option stating that when he went in to the hospital, that he had an irregular heartbeat and was unable to have the surgery, then exactly what am I supposed to do?? Pay for a car that won't be driven by me? Surely I am not the only person flying into a major city that needs a car. I will never, EVER be bothered with a third party site to make reservations. People get sick, people go in the hospital and plans get changed. I expect more!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I reserved a car through Hotwire on one of their "hot rates" where the car company is disclosed after booking. It was represented to me that the car company was at the airport or just a shuttle ride away. When it was finally disclosed, the car rental company is over 5 miles from the airport. Totally unacceptable and a lie by Hotwire that the company is at the airport. I called them to see if something could be done and was told no. Totally a fraud by Hotwire. I will never use them again and encourage that all buyers beware.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We made a reservation with Hotwire, because they had a great rate for cars at Sanford airport. We picked the mystery company for a discount. We were happy with all of our arrangements. We fly into Sanford and call for pickup, then the company, Ace, says they don't pick up or drop off at Sanford as they are in Orlando. We call Hotwire, whose customer service agent asked why we didn't notice and cancel. Which is ridiculous. Fact one requested cheap car rental in Sanford Orlando airport.

Fact two Hotwire said we can get that car cheaper if we let them pick the company. Fact three we spent 200$ on cabs round trip to pick up and drop off car. Fact four- Hotwire denied culpability and refused to make right. Additionally, they raised their voice, refused a supervisor, and blamed me for not noticing they screwed me. Look on their website. They say Ace picks up and drops off at Sanford as well. I will put this post on all social media and tell all of my friends family and business associates just how unprofessional, unethical, and disrespectful Hotwire is with their advertising and business transactions. Wake up Hotwire, this is how companies go out of business.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I rented a car through Hotwire for my friend's vacation. It was supposed to be a gift, so I wanted to cover all the expenses including insurance. When my friend got to the airport to pick up the car, she had to wait 45 minutes for the ACE shuttle to pick her up. When she finally made it to the car rental front desk, the desk worker told her that she needed to get insurance because they don't accept insurance acquired online. Then the ACE worker started to add other required fees such as roadside assistance and ended charging my friend six hundred dollars plus the deposit money. When I contacted Hotwire, they asked me to send them the copy of all the charges and the booking e-mail, they asked me to explain the situation in detail so that they can make and inquire in ACE about the extra charges.

I sent the e-mail, and a customer service representative responded with a dismissive attitude. The Hotwire worker said that they are only the intermediaries and asked me to bring my complaint to ACE. What I learned is that when you rent with Hotwire, you don't get any guarantee that the price you are paying at the rental moment will be honor by the rental company. They don't give refunds, they don't allow cancellations after booking, but the car rental companies they work with don't honor the money paid for the car and can bring extra fees at the pickup moment without any previous notice.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I bought a ticket for 800$ which I paid Trip protection for because I knew I may or may not have to cancel it due to military reasons, when the time came and I tried to cancel and receive my money back for the protection I was told that there was nothing they could do because the "trip protection" only covers sickness or health emergencies which DOES NOT SAY anywhere when you pay for the trip protection, it simply says pay 54$ extra if you want to secure the payment for the trip.

I contacted them by phone and asked for a manager, the employee told me that the manager would tell me the same thing but I still asked to talk to a manager, when the manager answered the phone she played the "hello are you there, I can't hear you" game for about 3 minutes while I could hear her perfectly and I never have phone issues where I was at the moment, very unprofessional, I hung up the phone and they DID NOT even bother to call back. If I have known this before I would've much rather buy the ticket straight from American Airlines and buy their protection instead. Will NEVER use Hotwire again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I ended up booking the same trip twice with them due to malfunction in app and the system overall. “My trip” section of the app did not display any upcoming trips after 1st booking. When I called, the rep told me that there were no active trips under my account. So I booked again. As soon as I booked the same trip the second time both trips appeared under “my trip” on the app. When I called to cancel one of the trip they would not fully reimburse me, although I did everything in my power to make sure not to double book.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Even though I have rented from Hotwire numerous times in the past, apparently there are new Hot Deals that blindly assign rental agencies to your rental agreement. I did not realize before moving to the next screen that I would not be given the opportunity to see the rental company assigned before paying for the non-refundable agreement. Even though I spent over an hour on the phone immediately after making this rental agreement, that I would not be able to get one of the 5 acceptable rental companies listed (Enterprise, Alamo, Hertz, National, Avis). All these have rental cars on airport property and are premier firms. I was given the second rate firm of Sixth who I've had horrible experiences with in the past and never want to deal with them again.

Even after immediate notification and over an hour on the phone with Rose and then Melany ** they still did absolutely nothing to either move me to one of the other 5 acceptable agencies that were listed at that price!! Totally false advertisement in my book and I will never ever use Hotwire again!! Now that I know Neha Parikh is the President of Hotwire which is under the Expedia Group, I will give her a call directly at (425) 679-7200. Even though I have never had a bad experience with Expedia or Booking.com I am going to reconsider using any of them under the Expedia Group if their customer service continues to be totally lacking.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I bought a fare for around 600 dollars for Jan, I had to cancel my trip due to work, but I bought travel insurance. Well travel insurance won't honor the policy and Hotwire won't give me a credit or refund me. So now I am out 600 dollars and no flight for a future trip. I am so upset, I was going to meet my fiance's family and now I have to come up with more money for a new flight later. Won't ever buy from Hotwire again and I was a long time customer.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I live in Canada and I booked a flight through Hotwire.com on November 22 2018. And on the 11 am November 24 I found out the price I saw which was 1389.12 was In 1,846.21 US dollar and not Canadian dollar. I called them right away to cancel the flight and was told that I can cancel but I will not received any refund. I was hoping to be changed a fee to cancel but no. I think this is unfair. Why not calculate prices depending on were you living. They have my address and give you the option whether or not you want the calculated price. If I had know I wouldn't book this flight because I saw other flights that couldn't cost that much. Highway robbery, unethical business practice.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Booked through Hotwire on Nov 17, 2018. We went to Memphis, TN to see Rickey Smiley at a comedy club there. The show started at 10:30p so after the show we grabbed a bite to eat and we could not remember what hotel we booked at so we called both locations of Four Points. BOTH hotels telling us they did not have a reservation under our name, finally a guy at one of our hotels found our reservation on the FAX MACHINE BUT they did not have any rooms available.

So we contacted Hotwire CS who reached out to the hotel and was told the same thing. The only suggestion HOTWIRE had for us was to refund us our money and give us a $40 Credit to use with them next time we book with them. I asked the rep what were we supposed to do for the night. His reply was, "I'm sorry I gave you a refund and $40 credit it is only suppose to be $30 but I went against my better judgment and gave you $40." I then asked to speak to his supervisor. He informed me she will tell me the same thing.

Supervisor MARY get on the phone. Inform me that her agent has issued me a refund and a credit what can she do for me all the time while I am trying to tell MARY what she could do for me she is over talking me and kept repeating, "He got your refund what can I do." I said, "So the only option you are leaving me right now is to either sleep in my car or drive 4 hrs back home." She again repeated to me the obvious that I had gotten a refund. I asked for the corp number and MARY assured me they will be telling me the SAME THING so needless to say my husband and I spent our 1st year anniversary driving 4 hrs back home. We made it back home at 5:30 am the next day. I contacted corp Nov 19, 2018 left my name and number and again on the 21st and as of today 11/24/18 I STILL HAVE NOT HEARD BACK FROM THEM.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I booked a room in end of Nov. I was in a rush and was not aware of the hotel I booked policies. I also did not notice it on the website until after I paid. The hotel had a security deposit of $200. I did not have the extra money for that. The hotel was Super 8 and was not even worth a 200 deposit if you ask me. I called Hotwire and demanded to be refunded. I was outside in the cold where my fingers and toes were burning only to be put on hold for 25 mins and was not given another choice. I hung up the phone because the wait was getting ridiculous.

I am pacing back and forth outside Super 8 and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor got on the phone or as they called him a higher member of team management. I told him I wanted to be put in another hotels and did not have until Monday to wait, I am freezing in the cold. He had the nerve to tell me..."I know how you feel." As I said to him..."No YOU do not! Are you in the cold, are your fingers burning? You're not stuck and no money for another room and you will not give me my money back or book somewhere else!" Well needless to say. Nothing was resolved, I did not get my money back. I will be on every social media site to let people know how Horrible Hotwire is and their customer service. Hotwire took my money but I was left out in the cold!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I will never book on HOTWIRE again. I prepaid for a confirmed 2 night hotel reservation. Got to the hotel late and tired and found it CLOSED! Called HOTWIRE, they called back in half an hour to say that they couldn't confirm that the hotel was closed. They had called the hotel several times but no one answered the phone. DUH! I told you, the hotel is closed and there is no one there to answer the phone! What a nightmare! Pitch black and nowhere to stay. Took HOTWIRE 9 days to grudgingly refund my money and no word or gesture of apology.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

It would have been cheaper had I just directly rented from car rental company. Directions was awful. Took me an hour to find triple paid. Paid 170 for rental online, 63 for the insurance, get to the counter and pay 347 dollars more. Where is the savings?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Hotwire is quick to take your money for booking but the moment you need to cancel or rebook they make you jump through hoops even when there are flights available. I've tried 4 times to rebook my flight and use my credit and have yet to successfully do so. Please also keep in mind every time I called I lasted a minimum of 2 hours and got nowhere! Truly disappointed. Will never use them again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I reserved a car and an emergency came up that I had to cancel my reservation. I called customer service and they said since I got it on a hot deal I am unable to get a refund. I lost out on $97. I do not recommend on booking anything on this site. They will rob you for your money. They do not understand that life happens nor cares about their customers. DO NOT BOOK THROUGH HOTWIRE!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Booked a room for 4 nights. Prepaid and also paid taxes and fees included. Got to the resort and had to pay another 50.00 for fees. Resort says it is their policy and Hotwire the same. It said in very small letters the resort we get may add additional fees. Did not see it in paperwork until they sent me the confirmation on what hotel they gave us, then it's too late. Got their travel insurance and it only covers you for medical. Never saw where it said that. Very sneaky. DO NOT USE THEM. I GOT NOWHERE TALKING TO THEM OR THE RESORT.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I reserved a car under one of their Hot Rates. The reservation was to pick up and drop off the car at the airport. I had to change my flight by 2 days due to a family emergency... so I needed to pick the car up 2 days earlier and drop the car off earlier. The amount of days that I would have the car for was going to end up being for the same amount of time. I called customer service and also spoke to a supervisor - they were completely unwilling to change my dates nor were they willing to apply some of the charges to a new booking. All they kept stating was that under the Hot Rate policy they are not allowed to make any changes at all.

I called Thrifty (the car rental company that the Hotwire reservation was for) and they could not help me at all either - they stated that Hotwire is the only one who could make any changes and that I would have to make a completely separate new booking with them. So, now I am paying for a car rental that I can't even use. I feel robbed. I understand that they cannot issue a refund but it is ridiculous that they could not just change the reservation dates. I told them that they need to change their policy because it is terrible business. I will never use Hotwire or Thrifty again. I see from the other reviews that Hotwire should be put out of business. Hotwire is a sham.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Booked a car rental through Hotwire, even received a reminder and confirmation of it the day before and when I got to the car rental agency, I was told there were no more cars available. The rental place could not accommodate us neither could Hotwire. The only thing Hotwire did was give me a refund as if that could help the situation of being stranded at 2 am at Fort Lauderdale Airport and my destination was Miami, which is the reason for the car rental. I had no choice than to pay Lyft to drive me down to Miami. An expense that was not in my plans yet a major company like Hotwire, was not willing to absorb either.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Hotwire is a scam, I recently purchased tickets through them and added the "cancellation" insurance. I did end up needing to cancel and I was put on hold six times. In the six times they put me on hold for over thirty minutes each time and never returned to the phone and then hung up on me. This is the worst experience I have ever experienced in my life with an airline! I want to sue them for misrepresenting services, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and loss of consortium. I have been so stressed out. I can't eat. I'm depressed. My mom is in the hospital and I can no longer go. I also need my $ back for her medical stay.

Hotwire.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotwire is a San Francisco-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates on a wide range of services, including flights, car rentals and hotel rooms.

• Bundled services: Hotwire lets customers bundle travel services to get discounts.

• Partners: Hotwire partners with several other travel businesses, including Expedia and Hotels.com to access more deals.

• Mobile app: The iOS mobile app lets customers use Apple Pay.

• Last-minute deals: Hotwire publishes steep discounts from hotels that want to fill rooms at the last minute.

• Cancellations: Hotwire accepts cancellations for rooms at most hotels.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs