Hotwire
3.16/5

Looking for a travel site?

Hotwire

Looking for a travel site?

1436 Hotwire Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 18, 2019

Hotwire gives best deals and details and handles issues much faster than others. They give you area comparisons and options to add to your trip like rental car and outings. The deals are always top notch as well.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Booked a beautiful room in Lansing Michigan at the last minute for a great price with an added bonus of happy hour and breakfast buffet. The room was large very clean and the customer service was great.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Hotwire is my go to spot when I need a last second hotel room anywhere. They find the best deals. The best part is the ease to use their map that shows prices based on distance from where you want to be.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Sometimes the hotel is not as described. It would be more helpful if everyone was pretty much on the same page. While the booking experience is good the place sometimes can be challenging as with our most recent experience. It was not as described. Almost reminded me of a place like a shelter.

Original review: April 21, 2019

Yesterday I arrived at Tampa airport quite late due to a 2-hour delay caused by mechanical issues on the plane. When I went to "Ace" car rental at 11:30 pm to get my reserved car I was surprised to find the counter empty and closed. I immediately found a number and called "Ace" but they would not make any arrangements to satisfy me.

So I called Hotwire figuring it would take me an hour to connect with an operator, but surprisingly within 2 minutes the operator Nannette was on the phone. She easily pulled my information and inquired what can she do to help. I related my situation and explained how frustrated I was and didn't want to spend anything extra for a situation that was not my fault. Nannette politely explained my options and initiated a search. She was able to find a new rental from Thrifty and cancel my other reservation... I ended up saving $70 in the process. I am so appreciative of all the help and professionalism that Nannette displayed that I will try to use Hotwire much more in my future travel plans.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: July 19, 2019

So I foolishly booked a car through Hotwire for my trip to Las Vegas. Was given Ace Car Rental, which is rated 1 on Yelp and a generous 2 on Google Reviews. Why would Hotwire associate with such a poorly rated place? Will never, ever risk booking a car or hotel with Hotwire again.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Booked my flight June 30 2019. Still haven't received a confirmation email. Called on Saturday July 13th said by Tuesday I'll get it. Called on Tuesday July 15 they kept pushing me aside with no answer. Called the next day July 16th still no answer. Kept hanging up on me, and pushing me aside. We also told me that I would get a refund and they're trying everything to get me not to get my refund and said that got corporate deal which is a complete lie. Bottom line they're a fraudulent company. Don't do business with them. I've had to go to the higher people which if you tweet on Twitter publicly and they will get back to you. I'm still waiting for my refund.

Original review: July 16, 2019

If you are renting car in Canada, just be aware of the pricing is in USD. We got a unpleasant surprise when the credit card statement show $150 CD more than what we expected. You are thinking that you got a better deal here but go to your local car rental and get it there.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I booked a "hot rate" car rental on Hotwire. When I searched for the car of my choice, it said cancellation was free! Later discovered this rate is non refundable or non negotiable as per the instruction upon checkout! I can't think of a more dishonest company! Three weeks before my trip, I went back on Hotwire to check out the deals, and the cost of my car rental was half the cost! I called to ask if I could cancel my current reservations, and they explained to me that it couldn't be done because it was a hot rate! I have never encountered such intentional dishonesty in booking a car!

Original review: July 13, 2019

I accidentally booked the wrong dates for a car rental, I called Hotwire and they told me that there was nothing that they can do. A total loss of all money. $250 down the drain. No credit or anything. I will never use Hotwire again, what a joke of a company... And I would advise anyone else thinking of using Hotwire.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Booked alternative hotel that I did not want. I took out Hotel Protection, only to be informed that the booking was nonrefundable. I am now out $310.00 and had to book another hotel in the area I needed to stay.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I booked a hotel reservation back in May but realized right after booking that it was the wrong location. I immediately called Hotwire to correct the error and was told that I would have to rebook with a different card. Which was something I did not have. Due to it being a hot rate hotel deal there was nothing they could do. I never checked into the room or used the reservation. I disputed this with my bank and almost a month and a half later they are unwilling to reverse the payment. I asked for the GM of Hotwire contact information and the customer service supervisor refused to give me the information. I looked up the corporate number for Hotwire and the line stays busy.... I can't even get through.

This is completely unacceptable. Due to the fact this reservation was made in error and I did everything on my part to correct it. They still are charging me the 127.47 for a room that was never checked into. I am beyond frustrated and disappointed with Hotwire and the way the handled this situation. I informed them that I would even be willing to use that money as a credit toward another room instead of a straight refund. But was informed they would need another form of payment. Hotwire needs to do better. I should not have to pay for something I did not use. I will keep attempting to reach out to corporate to get this situation resolved.

Original review: July 10, 2019

This is the worst website I ever used for booking hotel, they charged me USD which suppose to be CAD, and I talk to customer service 3 times and also the manager, nobody willing to help you if you have any problem with your booking. All is matter for them is that you just get charge and trap to their deal. After you make your booking there is no chance to make any changes and their policy is even out of credit card company power to cancel the transaction. Worst customer service, fraud website. DO NOT USE HOTWIRE FOR ANY KIND Of BOOKING.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Due to a airline pet policy issue my wife and I got separated, I stayed in San Diego with my dog and my family went on ahead to HI. The car rental I booked through Hotwire went to Advantage and when my wife arrived they would not release the rental to her because her name wasn’t on a third party reservation. I asked Hotwire to add my wife, they said they could not modify the reservation. I ended up paying an extra 260 dollars to get the car. After getting nowhere with the call center, I’m never using Hotwire, or any third party agent again....too many restrictions. Think twice before you use this company...no refunds, no understanding. Worst experience ever.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Will never use Hotwire again. I am in Canada. I went to Hotwire.ca and booked a hotel in Canada assuming it was in Canadian $. There was only a $ - no CAD or USD. Only after looking at my bank account did I realize it was in USD. They charged me 40% more than what I thought I was paying AND WOULD DO NOTHING TO REVERSE IT OR CANCEL THE BOOKING. Never again. Totally misleading and unfair.

Original review: July 5, 2019

We are in Boulder Co. for a concert. We have had tickets and hotel reservations for over 6 months. We travelled 1,000 miles and arrived at the hotel only to find out that the hotel was overbooked and we didn't have a room. We called Hotwire customer service, after 90 minutes and speaking to a manager. We were told that there was nothing they would do to help us. We had no notification from either the hotel, or Hotwire prior to our arrival on the day of the show that the hotel was overbooked by over 100 rooms! Every hotel within 25 miles off here is sold out.

Hotwire told us that they couldn't even expedite our refund due to the need to use the available credit to book a new room. They offered no help whatsoever. The customer service is awful, Hotwire evidently does not check on the availability status of their partner hotels. And they offered no assistance at all, they even refused to give us a discount or credit on a future transaction. STAY AWAY. BOOK WITH ANOTHER PROVIDER!

Original review: July 4, 2019

I have a Canadian account with Hotwire & booked a Canadian hotel. There is nothing on the website to say the prices are in US dollars. Even their own staff don't know this since when I called to complain I was charged almost 40% more than expected in US vs CDN. Customer service told me it was my fault for using .com instead of .ca. But when I tried to type in Hotwire.ca I was redirected to Hotwire.com. When I told him this he said, "It still didn't matter as all sales are final."

Original review: July 4, 2019

I booked a car rental and was charged what I thought a good rate for Thrifty car rental at Spokane airport. 3 days after returning the car I was charged almost the same amount from Thrifty. When I tried to get help from Hotwire I was basically told I had to take up my double bill with Thrifty in Spokane. Hotwire absolutely no assistance at all. Book through someone else. I will never use Hotwire again.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Do not book on Hotwire!!!! I was 1st time user of Hotwire and totally dissatisfied! I will NEVER use them again! Wish I would have looked at the reviews :-( I booked a car for a vacation. I checked all the different travel sites. My booking with Hotwire website said that my reservation was "You are GUARANTEED a car from one of these agencies: Alamo, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz." I booked the car and the reservation was from NONE of those companies! They booked it with an off brand rental company. I called customer service and they said that, "yes," the website said that, but they can book it with any rental company they want to and they can't and won't change it. I told them they just lost a new customer!!

Original review: July 2, 2019

I booked a Hotwire.com Hot Deal and then went to the Hotel's website which had a lower price. I called Hotwire for the lowest price guarantee and after 30 minutes on the phone they told me they wouldn't honor it.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Contacted Hotwire for assistance with the rental car company they provided, Sixt. It took 45 minutes to get my car after their counter representative had difficulty setting up their GPS system. Once on my trip, I found the cable had to be held in a specific way to charge the battery as any movement caused the plug to fall out. Upon return to Sixt, I was told no manager was available to discuss this problem since it was a Saturday. I contacted Hotwire and they told me to contact the branch manager, but could not give me a name and number. It seems the poor customer service did not end with Sixt. I would expect that Hotwire would have assisted with this issue - but their response was apathetic at best. Renter beware.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I reserved a 3.5 star hotel about six months ago. The "surprise" hotel was 2 star Motel, at best. Fooled once. This week, forgetting that I swore off Hotwire, I bid on a four-star hotel in Seattle. The choices were the predictable four star chains. My "surprise" hotel was not on the list of.... 'your hotel may be any of the following.'

The "hotel" I paid for was another motel chain and the same chain in Portland is definitely NOT a four star. Try another discounter and save yourself some frustration.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I booked through Hotwire. Never had a bad experience with that company til today and I would never recommend them to anyone. Worst enemy included. They’re horrific money grabbers. After driving for 14 hours I stopped at a hotel because a tornado a severe storms were coming through Tennessee June 19th, 2019. I needed to get in a hotel and so I booked a 3 star hotel. Highest class in the city. You would expect to have a clean room, right? Well walking in the deadbolt did not close, the bathroom had DIRTY towels in it. Already used. If I could upload the photos here I would. The toilet was not secured to the ground. You would sit on it and it would rock up. The seal around it was brown and seeping liquid. And bugs were crawling under the door and into the bathroom.

Because I checked in so late (after 11pm) I called the front desk and was told to please wait until checkout because there is not a manager here to help you. I tried to call Hotwire, email them, start a chat. NO REPLY. So I waited til check out. A manager didn’t get there til roughly 8:45-9 AM. This hotel was disgusting and the best the manager could do was, "I’ll give you 50% off." That was ground for a full refund. It was disgusting. Not only did I lose 160 dollars I lost 40 more for not being able to refrigerate the food I bought right before the stop because the fridge was disgusting, and wasn’t plugged in. I so wish I could upload the photos and videos here but I can’t.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Dear readers please use my experience for your future bookings. As you all know Hotwire is mostly a blind booking website. I started searching hotel near Disneyland LA and then filtered my results for Free Breakfast, Free WiFi and Free Parking. I picked one with 3 stars which shows my 3 preferred amenities listed. I went ahead and paid for the booking. Today I checked in at the hotel but when I asked for parking the hotel said it's ~$19 per night and that's almost 57$ for my booking of 3 nights. I called the customer care, name: Tina #**. She acknowledged my filter experience however they cannot do anything because I already checked in.

1) your search and filter is not working as expected and you want me to test it and prove it???? 2) Hotel didn't tell me parking is additional before I checked in. Hotel didn't tell me breakfast is free that doesn't mean it's not free. This is like you pay for long distance flight tickets and after boarding the flight they tell you food is additional. When I filtered free parking it means the hotel I blindly book will be free parking. If that's not the case then why filter?

Original review: June 20, 2019

Rented a car through Hotwire and prepaid for a lower rate. The instructions given on the website were wrong. Hertz the rental company told me could not get the car because I used a debit card to prepay. I need to use a credit card. I told them I have a credit card you can put the deposit on. They said I would have to cancel that reservation and book again at a hire rate. I called Hotwire and they take no responsibility. "It was booked by Hertz," they say. I think it's all an elaborate scam to get people to pay hire rates. Hotwire needs to take responsibility for purchase made through their site. Now I was unable to get a rental car for my trip because I didn't find out the day of. This is what Hotwire's website says: "Hertz does not accept debit/check card deposits, but does accept credit card deposits." Further down below it says it again: "The agency does not accept debit/check card deposits, but does accept credit card deposits. See important debit card info".

Here is what it says under see important info: "Car rentals: Keep in mind while you may pay for your car rental booking with a debit card, many car rental companies will not accept a debit card as a deposit when you pick up the vehicle, and you will be denied rental if you don't have a credit card for the deposit. International car rental companies will only accept credit cards and require that you have as much as $1,000 in available funds on the card." When searching for a car rental, you can choose to see only results for companies that accept debit cards for deposit at pick-up. Since this will limit your search range, the best deal available might not show up in your search results. See also: "Car Rentals - Searching and booking".

Original review: June 19, 2019

Do not book anything through Hotwire. Booked a hotel in Montreal. I live in Canada. I did not change US funds to Canadian funds and they charged me 150.00 more than they should of because it was in American funds. Called them and they would not change to Canadian funds. Tried cancelling through the insurance I bought and the amount I would get back would be in Canadian funds. Would still be out $150.00. Terrible customer service.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I booked a car rental thru Hotwire. I was set up with Sixt in Seattle, WA. I have used Hotwire in the past and haven't had problems. When I returned the car I left my cell phone in the car. I immediately filed a lost item report. My phone was found same day and I paid the fee to have it returned to me. I paid for Overnight Priority. My phone still has not been returned to me. When I check their website, it shows my phone is still being prepared for shipment. I wish I had looked at reviews for Sixt prior to booking with them. I'm surprised Hotwire would partner with a company such as Sixt. I will be wary of anything Hotwire recommends in the future.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Very deceitful!! Buyer beware!! Apparently, hotwire.com has their own system of star ratings for hotels. I booked a hot deal on hotwire and was told I would be getting a 4-star resort. After I paid for the hot deal they revealed the name of the hotel I would be getting. After doing a quick look back at the 4 hotels I was guaranteed I discovered that 1 was in fact a 3-star hotel. When I called hotwire to complain about being deceived they claimed that the hotel was a 4-star to them and therefore would be treated as such. WOW... I didn't realize star ratings could be randomly assigned to hotels! I'm pretty sure the general public is NOT aware that hotwire just randomly assigns star ratings!!!

Original review: June 14, 2019

Hotwire has the WORST customer service! 6 hours after I booked my reservation they dropped the price but won't honor the discount. Horrible! Never booking through Hotwire ever again! They will price match other companies but not their own. That makes no sense!!

Original review: June 11, 2019

Paperwork said 2 rooms at a certain price. Visa statement twice as much - have to see if I can straighten this out after my overseas guests leave. Car rental - said I could pick up at airport but got to the airport and nothing there so called # provided - said they could come pick me up and take me to rental office in town. I asked for SUV, they said would be Nissan Rogue or equivalent and ended up with Toyota Camry - will be ok but not what I wanted. Also $15 a day more to add another driver, staff unsure about insurance I purchased online... Total price ends up being what I would have paid at any other rental company. So for hotel and car rental I could have gone with anyone and paid the same price. NO SAVINGS AT ALL.

Hotwire.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotwire is a San Francisco-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates on a wide range of services, including flights, car rentals and hotel rooms.

• Bundled services: Hotwire lets customers bundle travel services to get discounts.

• Partners: Hotwire partners with several other travel businesses, including Expedia and Hotels.com to access more deals.

• Mobile app: The iOS mobile app lets customers use Apple Pay.

• Last-minute deals: Hotwire publishes steep discounts from hotels that want to fill rooms at the last minute.

• Cancellations: Hotwire accepts cancellations for rooms at most hotels.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs