2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Hotwire

Hotwire
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

Hotwire is a third-party marketplace that handles all your travel bookings, including hotel stays, car rentals and flights. Bundling two or three bookings can save customers hundreds of dollars. Hotwire representatives are available 24/7 to help customers through cancellations, changes and questions

Hotwire Reviews

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I reserved a hotel room using the hot rate tool, which gives you an undisclosed hotel in a certain star range for a very good price. I always use this tool. When I arrived at my hotel this time, there was a safety issue that worried me, so I called Hotwire. They rebooked the room to a different hotel no questions asked, at no additional cost. I will always use Hotwire and the hot rate option.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

My husband and I wanted to stay in downtown Boston for one night at the end of a New England fall foliage trip. The hotel prices were outrageous. I saw a Hot Deal for $88. We discussed it and decided we’d try it and see what happened. Once I booked, I learned that we were booked at the Boston Hilton Faneuil Hall area, which was great. However, when I call the Hilton to doublecheck that they had our reservation, they did not! I was patient and waited a couple of days and tried again, still no luck. When I would call Hotwire, I would be put on hold for extensive periods of time while they called the Hilton, spoke to Hotwire reservationists, etc. They would then ask me to call back in two days to allow time for Hilton to receive the resubmission of the reservation.

After two more days, same answer...Hilton had no record. I finally called Hotwire and asked to speak with a supervisor. Ultimately, after confirming that Hilton did not have our reservation, the Hotwire supervisor offered us either a refund or to book us in a comparable hotel for the $88 price. That was a no brainer for me! She booked us at the Marriot Long Wharf and Hotwire paid the difference between the current Hot Deal Rate at the Long Wharf and what we had paid for the Hilton. We stayed there last night with no issues at check-in. The hotel was awesome and completely as promised. Although it was a pain and time consuming to get this straight, we ultimately got an amazing deal and Hotwire made it right. I would so this again.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Hotwire gives best deals and details and handles issues much faster than others. They give you area comparisons and options to add to your trip like rental car and outings. The deals are always top notch as well.

Original review: May 31, 2020

Updated on 06/02/2020: If you were denied a refund by Hotwire because of the COVID-19, I have your solution. Please put a claim in with the Better Business Bureau. I did it on their website. They got involved and now I’m going to be getting my money refunded to me. The BBB is a free service and is on our side!!!

Original Review: I booked a car rental from Hotwire for a trip I had planned for in April. I had to cancel it because of the Corvid-19 and because The President of The United States told us to stay home and everything was shut down. Hotwire will Not refund me my money back!!! I am still in the process of disputing it with my credit card and I do have a complaint in with the Better Business Bureau. This company should be Shut down!! This is the Worst thing any company could do, especially during these times. DO NOT BUY OR BOOK FROM THEM!!!!

Original review: May 29, 2020

On May 28, 2020 my bank informed me of my reported stolen card being used in this site,,, I chat with 3 different employees asking them to stop it being used,, they gave me a number not linked to Hotwire at all for fraud. This was for $264.99. They wouldn't even help. One employee named John told me that he was going to make sure that I was taken as far as his site would allow to happen.. I'm disgusted and so upset with them not even willing to help me with my issues of my card being used without my authorize. Ok this site,,, it's officially dangerous and needs to be TOTALLY INVESTIGATED.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: May 28, 2020

I booked flights and a car rental for a vacation in August, because of the pandemic I have canceled my vacation, called the airline, canceled my flights without any issues, sent in an online request to Hotwire to cancel my car rental and was denied. I called Hotwire and got the same answer, they refuse to refund or even give a credit for the rental. Everyone is taking a hit because of this pandemic but Hotwire refuses to do their part. I think this says a lot about what type of company this is. I hope that after this pandemic is over that everyone remembers this and refuses to use this company and they go under! Also, I believe we all need to flood social media with the horrible business practices they’ve exercised.

Original review: May 26, 2020

Got ripped off by Sixtcar via Hot wire. Paid for car two months in advance. Had to cancel because of covid19. Won't give money back. Sent an email and tried to call. No answer. Finally got an email from them saying I didn't qualify for refund. Totally bull. I didn't cackle because I wanted to.

Original review: May 26, 2020

We had planned a surprise bday trip for my father in law in July. He has never been outside of Texas and has always wanted to go to Seattle. We booked the trip January 28. Once the nation was put under locked down due to COVID19, my father in law got very worried about traveling to Seattle since he isn't in the best health. I started to cancel everything the middle of March because I knew it was going to take a while. American Airlines refunded, no questions asked. AirBNB refunded, no questions asked. My rental car through Hotwire is a different story unfortunately. I waited about a month with no response. So I chatted with a Hotwire representative who said my cancel request was DENIED! I asked why and they said because my trip was still so many months out and to send in another cancellation form closer to my trip date.

Today (5/26/2020) I called to get a status check and they said THEY COULD DO NOTHING FOR ME!!!! COULD DO NOTHING!!! What kind of customer service is this?! We are in the middle of a global pandemic and all this company can think about is THEIR MONEY! It is absolutely absurd! I will continue to email them EVERYDAY until someone gives me another answer! THE CANCELLATION IS NOT OUR FAULT! We would of LOVED to get away from Texas for a little bit but I understand my father in law's concerns. SHAME ON YOU HOTWIRE! I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN TO BOOK ANYTHING! RUNNN!!! Don't book with them! Book with Kayak!!! They are more customer friendly and do care about their customers!!! I seriously wish I could leave NO STARS!

Original review: May 24, 2020

In March I booked a hotel room with Hotwire. Toward the end of the online booking form there was an option to pay for cancellation insurance which I checked and paid for. I needed to cancel my entire trip which included this room due to COVID-19. They refused to refund the $388.77 for the hotel room and the $17.49 the amount I paid for trip cancellation insurance. I will never trust Hotwire again.

Original review: May 23, 2020

Used Hotwire for the 1st time in March 2020 to book a hotel room; on my phone the booking showed that it could not be completed, tried twice and still said could not be completed, finally had to call the hotel to get a room, hotwire charged us for 2 rooms and we only used one. They refuse to give a refund for the unused room. WILL NOT be using hotwire again.

Hotwire.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotwire is a San Francisco-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates on a wide range of services, including flights, car rentals and hotel rooms.

• Bundled services: Hotwire lets customers bundle travel services to get discounts.

• Partners: Hotwire partners with several other travel businesses, including Expedia and Hotels.com to access more deals.

• Mobile app: The iOS mobile app lets customers use Apple Pay.

• Last-minute deals: Hotwire publishes steep discounts from hotels that want to fill rooms at the last minute.

• Cancellations: Hotwire accepts cancellations for rooms at most hotels.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team