Hotwire
1.11/5
Based on 150 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Hotwire

Last updated: April 19, 2018

1185 Hotwire Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 19, 2018

My plans to come home to Pittsburgh for the weekend got moved back a week. I sure didn't know their deals were a no refund and no changes. Guess I got ripped for 120.00. They say I should have read the fine print. Sorry to know that a company actually operates this way. Sorry it cost me cash. Their operators don't speak English very well and only know scripts. I'm old and feel good about not having this issue ever before. I am usually very thorough, but got taken this time. I realize my needs changed, but I have rented many times and did not realize that they don't follow normal car rental protocol.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I called the Westin Hotel to see which bed type they had chosen for me, only to learn they did not receive any information from Hotwire about my reservation. To think, that if I had never called ahead of time, I would be furious at the time of my arrival to learn that my reservation never went through, even though I was already charged. It took several attempts of calling all 3 of your customer service numbers to finally speak to an actual human. I had to call Allianz Global and beg them to connect me with a human at Hotwire.

After telling the representative from Hotwire my problem, she could not figure out what happened with my reservation. She apologized but suggested it was the fault of the hotel instead of Hotwire. Honestly, I don't care whose fault it was that my reservation was never sent over. I'm glad it was resolved, but am extremely dissatisfied that it took all day to have this issue resolved from the moment I tried to call the first customer service number, up until I finally got a call back from a Hotwire specialist. I was excited to use Hotwire, as your prices are very low and it was exciting not knowing which hotel I would get until I booked, but all this experience has taught me, is that you get what you pay for. I will never use this booking method again.

It is not your customer's job to confirm a reservation with the hotel they booked through your site. That is the responsibility of the third party booking company. So thanks for wasting my time, stressing me out, and never really explaining what went wrong, or offering any extra accommodations for having to deal with this huge inconvenience.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 10, 2018

I rented a car on April 2nd for April 3rd and realized after booking it, it was booked on the 12th an incorrect day. I called the 1800 customer service line immediately (less than 15 minutes). The man on the phone said, "No problem, we will cancel that for you and rebook the right day." Shock it was not canceled and is still showing as reserved for April 12th 2018. I called back today explaining the situation to the customer service agent. After hanging up on me three times and extended wait periods they said they cannot help me since they can't find the notes. This company is a fraud and they do not value their customers. DO NOT RENT FROM HOTWIRE EVER!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I booked my reservation for my flight that arrived at 11:30pm. To allow time to pick up my vehicle, I gave myself 30 min to get from the terminal to the rental cars. So I booked my pick up for 12am and a return at 3pm a day and a half later. When booking the reservations, I confirmed the dates and purchased the rental. When I picked up the vehicle, the Rental agency asked me why I had been charged for 3 days for a 1 1/2 days. She advised at most that it was a 2 day rental but definitely not 3 and advised me to contact Hotwire. Upon contacting Hotwire, the agent spent 30 minutes telling me that my perception was keeping me from seeing that it was 3 days despite HIS math telling him that it was less than 2 days. After going back and forth on the math, the difference between fact and perception, and the fact that numbers don't lie, I will never book on Hotwire again. Beware!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I stayed in the Super 8 Motel in Detroit Roseville area. My neighbor smoke drugs all night. I notified motel manager and he agree to refund but Hotwire didn't proceed because I stay the night... They said that I need to get refund from actual hotel but my agreement was with Hotwire. Hotwire said they can't help... Next night I stayed in Detroit airport Travelodge. Within 4 hours of my sleep I got bitten by bed bugs all over my body... Again Hotwire can't refund my money because I stayed in the hotel and it was "hot rate" booking. Stay as far you can from Hotwire. They are crooks. They don't care about you at all. If somebody would pass away in the hotel they would charge him for staying.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: April 5, 2018

The rental car insurance is not validated by the car company. They just show different prices for you to use the page. To me that fraud. Using wrong or giving different prices to sell or information and the one star is because you can’t post with out a star. Sorry 0.

Original review: April 4, 2018

They claimed the hotel room is $120 per night, I am expecting a $30 more after tax and fees, so I clicked to confirm it. I am aware that it is final but I do not expect after I confirm and pay for it. They charge for another $42 resort fee, which add up to a total of $200. I call immediately to ask for a cancellation for being not properly notified. The supervisor is rude and unprofessional with terrible manner. I felt sorry for those customer services staff, I believe they have been receiving this kind of complaint every minute. Customer must yell at them all the time. No wonder their ratings are so freaking low!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I booked a "Hot Rate" room. The surprise hotel and room I received was not a hot rate. I was charged by Hotwire a little more than what the hotel charges directly on their website. Additionally, the hotel had a TRUE Hot rate for the same amount that included $30 worth of food. I called Hotwire customer service and she could not find the special rate with food, and offered to refund the difference of room only (a dollar or so) in price.

THIS is not why I use Hotwire. I use Hotwire to get the best rates, not get charged MORE and offered pennies. Obliviously Hotwire cannot be counted on for good deals anymore. I will no longer use their service from here on out. This is second issue in a row. If I am going to pay the same amount, then I will just book more directly and choose my hotel myself or use a true bargain booking service.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I had to give 1 star unfortunately. But that star could be for the young lady that did help. My mom booked a flight for her grandson who was stuck in Florida and he stays in Minnesota. She was so historical that when she booked the flight she made an mistake and put her last name instead of his last name. She called Hotwire to get this fixed and was told to call American Airlines, American Airlines said she had to call Hotwire. This went on about 5 times back to back. Every time we talked to Hotwire we talked to the manager who only gave the initials RVG. Who kept saying she had to cancel the ticket and wait 3 to 5 business days for the refund.

We explained to him that my mom's on an fixed income and don’t have another 300.00 dollars to book another flight, and her grandson will be stuck for another 3 to 5 days. He said, "Well that’s the policy". We called American Airlines yet again because we was not getting anywhere with RVG (Hotwire). The lady at American Airlines put a long detailed note in the system for RVG to follow the steps to only get the last name changed and he still refused.

We called back and talk to an associate at Hotwire and she followed the steps American Airlines sent and got everything situated. We went back and forward on the phone from 11 pm till 3 am in the morning before the last name got changed. I really appreciate everyone I talked to at American Airlines for the help and that 1 lady at Hotwire that wanted to help. I don’t know how RVG got that manager position, but he really needs to start over. That man was an animal on the phone. He treated us like we owed him money, and he seen us buying out every store in the Mall of America. I will go through American Airlines the next time and will NEVER USE HOTWIRE AGAIN.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Wow! Talk about scam artists. We had booked a budget minivan and called to get second car from same rental agency. It wasn't. It was clear across town. Traveling with my father and 2 yo. and exhausted from flight. They wouldn't give us our money back. Dishonest company.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Booked a rental car punched in one way from eagle to aspen, when I went to print it up it said eagle to eagle. No one to contact, lots of phone calls, lots of ignorant replies, Hotwire will not fix this even though it’s their website's mistake. I have flights to Eagle then Aspen. I never would make a mistake. I know what I punched in. I also have another quote from another agency with the proper itinerary. I am not lying. Do not rent from Hotwire for anything. I called Amex and I was surprised that they couldn’t do anything. In researching this Hotwire is like a crime syndicate, they seem to thrive on hurting people and not helping them. This is their mistake.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We booked a family vacation through the online with Hotwire. Day before the flight we find out that we are all sitting in different rows. I called the airlines to find out why we have all been separated into different sections of the plane. The airline was able to get us together on 1 of 4 flights. When I asked them why they would split up a family, when all the tickets were purchased together, I was told it was to booking group "Hotwire" or travel agent that failed to do so. I immediately call Hotwire's customer service to find out why we were separated in the first place. And they had no answers, no apologies, no nothing! And that is what they will get from me for now on... NOTHING! Because I will be cancelling my account and will use one of the other travel group for now on. BUYERS BEWARE!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I rented a car thru Hotwire # ** for 3/20/2018 at 8 PM at Melbourne International Airport MLB. When I arrived at the Dollar counter to pick up my car the lady laughed a little and said she has not had a car to rent for 2 days. It's spring break and bike week in Daytona and she would not have any cars to the following day. She informed that every car rental counter was booked solid with no cars. It's not a big airport.

I called Hotwire like a idiot and had to wait on hold for him to call the lady at the Dollar counter to only her tell him the same thing. So I am stranded at the airport. It's pouring rain outside and Hotwire has left me stranded. What's their guarantee? Nothing. They do nothing. They steal your money with impunity and leave you stranded and you talk to Tom In India. So if you want to be stranded and have your money stolen please use Hotwire because that is what they did to me. And it's all on paper. Hotwire itinerary # ** Dollar Rent a Car confirmation code that was not a confirmation at all.

Original review: March 29, 2018

This past week I used Hotwire.com to book a hotel for a short trip I went on. I decided to use the hot rate and hoped to get a good deal. The choices of the hotels were nice... All except one. Of course once I paid and went through everything the hotel that I was paired with was the one that I did not want. In the end, I did not have a lot of issues with the hotel... Thank God... But, I was left feeling like the other Hotel choices we're not really on the menu. First off, the hotel that I was paired with was an Extended Stay. As I said I had no problem with the hotel but I was only on my trip for two nights. The thing I was looking forward to the most was a continental breakfast. Extended Stay did have it but it consisted of granola bars and coffee and I understood because the hotel room has a full kitchen.

Now, I do not understand why Hotwire would send me to an Extended Stay hotel if I am only staying for 2 nights. If I am staying at a hotel for 2 nights, I am not looking to go to the store and buy breakfast to put in the fridge. Hotwire should really narrow down results better and not give people false hopes of what hotels they will be paired with. To make matters worst, you can't even make any changes to the reservation when you use the Hot Rate. In the end, I am glad I had a great trip, but, I now feel like Hotwire is misleading and I most likely will not be using them again to book a reservation.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I booked Disney through Hotwire. I received my itinerary that included airfare, hotel and tickets. I was unable to link my tickets to my Disney account. After calling Disney several times it was determined that the problem was with Hotwire. No one at Hotwire had a clue why I was having problems. They would tell me to take the printed tickets to the gates and I would be admitted. The problem is the tickets do not have the correct numbers on them to allow me to link to my Disney account and order my fast-passes (60 days in advance). Hotwire even called Disney and was still unable to resolve the problem. I am still trying to get this resolved. BEWARE of using Hotwire to book your vacation packages.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I booked a car which was a great deal. Then noticed a few days later with no notice from them, that they cancelled the reservation. My account was turned over to risk management. I have left several messages with that department with zero communication from them in return. Their regular customer service cannot assist me. I’ve never had an account with this company until last week, so there is no reason for my email address to be flagged.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I recently had booked a flight for my family of 4 through Hotwire. When booking it they had offered me a way to fly cheaper. I did sign up for that not realizing the way they did that was to offer to fly me on different days that I needed to fly on. Once I'd confirmed and contacted them stating the dates I was trying to fly were not the dates that was booked customer service essentially told me I was dumb and it was my own fault and they were not going to work with me or do anything to help me.

I did contact the airline and they were very helpful, but Hotwire refused to do anything to try to fix the situation or rebook me for another flight. Then to top the matter off the customer service rep sent me 152 emails with my confirmation to rub in my face the mistake I had made and that they were going to do nothing about it. I did contact their customer service about my horrible experience and not a single person has made any effort to try to get back to me. I implore you never used Hotwire. If something goes wrong they will screw you over take your money and refuse to help you rectify the situation.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I booked hotel through Hotwire to request a two beds room, but when I was checking in, the hotel only provides king bed option. I tried to complain with Hotwire, and they pushed everything to the hotel, and directly cut my line for discontinuing the discussion. I never saw such bad services before and I would never call back to them to acquire any support or book through them. There is no feedback system, no monitor of the call and no guarantee of what you will get from Hotwire.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Hotwire probably Can see what you’re doing In your computer. Be aware. I was looking for a flight for 383. I didn’t have one of the passengers completely so from the same computer later on try to find the flight and I did but now it was 427 each. I was like, "OK I guess I better reserve it early to have this price." To my surprise surprise I come back one week later to buy another ticket, look for the same flight, same everything, and guess what the flight once again 383 Called him back to see if they can do price matching and her answer was no. Beware of Hotwire. Don’t order from here. The page watches what you are doing to raise the prices whenever they need to and then blame it on the airlines.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I use Hotwire about 6 times a year for discount hotels and most experiences are positive - much better customer service than their main competitor Priceline (Hotwire allows you to pick the amenities & bed size - nothing worse than getting stuck in a tiny room w/ a king bed that doesn't fit family needs). I see a lot of complaints from people who couldn't get their money back but this site is honest in telling you that you get big discounts but it's non-refundable so you get what you pay for! If you want to stay in a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price, then you take the risk in booking non-refundable -- this is a risk but for us we have been happy 90% of the time with the hotels that we get. In one case we got a 3-star that was in disrepair (OK but not 3-star quality) & they gave us a $50 coupon to save off our next booking. The trick is to pick a 3-star or 4-star in a nice area & to know the inventory in that area before the blind booking.

Original review: March 17, 2018

This week, we reserved a room at a San Antonio hotel during spring break. When we arrived at the hotel we were informed that Hotwire had pushed through 5 reservations through to the hotel even though they were aware that the hotel was sold out. We called Hotwire 3 times to get them to resolve this. After waiting longer than 30 minutes each time we gave up and headed home disappointed. They have the absolute worst service I have ever encountered.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Hotwire uses false prices to tempt consumers into the sale... afterwards you find out that their "super cheap" price (because you carry a risk premium of not know the hotel) is not cheaper but more expensive than the going rate. Avoid HOTWIRE, dear consumers!

Original review: March 10, 2018

DON'T USE THEM!! I made reservations for a car for my son to drive to a sales seminar, for his work. Virginia to Orlando FL for 6 days. March 12 through the 19th. He had an emergency at work and cannot make the trip. Hotwire does NOT allow cancellations or changes to your reservation. They will keep the money and you will NOT get your money back. When you call to try to discuss it with them you get an answering machine and they keep you on hold for hours (I was on hold for 1 hour and 17 minutes before I gave up) listening to some HORRIBLE "tinking" music, (hoping it will force you to hang up to escape the sound.) The rental agency they book the car through cannot cancel it either. You have to go through Hotwire. It's a scam and a ripoff. BEWARE!!!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I booked a car rental for my husband who will be in SFO for a convention on May 29. Unfortunately, he was scheduled to go to another place for a meeting and would not need that car. I looked for my reservations in their website and could not find any cancellation option. I checked the confirmation email and found out that the rate that I got was a HOT RATE and would not get my money back. Come on it is only Mar 8 and the convention is not going to happen until May 29 - that is roughly 2.5 months from now. I called to ask for a cancellation and get a refund of the amount that I paid for 4 nights. I was told that I could not get my money back... what? you book a nonrefundable hotel and if you cancel, they only charge a 1 nt charge at the most. They took my money just like that.

This is a bad business practice and will never book with HOTWIRE for any other travel needs for that matter. We travel 10-12 times a year and mostly need a car. This is the first time I have booked with them after a long time. If you are wise enough, stay away from them. This is a BAD business practice and there was no notice during the booking process that the rate that I booked in was a non refundable rate. I just found out when I tried to retrieve my confirmation so I can find my reservations and log in... BY ALL MEANS, STAY AWAY FROM THEM. I am disputing this charge and will not stop until I get my money back. And yes... I will flood all links to HOTWIRE reviews so I can let other online shoppers to stay away from this unfair practice.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Pretty much same-same of everything else you're reading here. However, my tale of woe includes a series of countless lies (over a 3 month time period)... all promising a refund within 7 to 10 business days, but never delivering. Just about each time, too, it was necessary that I send in one more piece of information that they needed. Alas, today came yet another promise, but now they needed my bank info since for some screwed up reason they could not credit my Amex (like they'd been promising all along). However this time, they assured me everything would finally be reconciled... only this was going to take 25 days now because of the 'added complication' of wiring it to my bank. Yeah, right.

At any rate, the kicker to the whole situation was that when I did send in this new info, my email was returned saying recipient unavailable, or something to that effect. In other words, they'd blocked my email. I know that, because I have a 2nd email account that I emailed them, and it went thru just fine. Nevertheless, I ain't waiting for all that to happen, because I've finally figured out that it won't. So I finally just called Amex and started a charge dispute. I should have done that right out of the gate, but instead I got sucked into the Hotwire void for a long and frustrating lesson that I assure you I will never repeat. And needless to say, that means not even thinking of ever doing business again with these crooked, lying mofos.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I booked a 3 Star hotel through Hotwire site, which gave examples of known brands that are safe. Once the deal was revealed, it turned out to be Hotel Seoul in Mexico City. Hotel Seoul consistently has reviews like this: "For your own safety (especially if you are a solo woman) never stay here, the area is really dangerous, it's practically an area of drug dealers and prostitution." The bad reviews aren't because the service isn't up to scratch but because it's in a dangerous area (not in the zone Hotwire advertises it in), popular with drug dealers and other sketchy people. I was traveling there alone as a woman, and although I already paid for the deal, I won't stay there for safety reasons. The hotel is not 3 stars and it is not in the advertised area, the way the deal is advertised is misleading.

Original review: March 5, 2018

After several months of Chemotherapy, I needed a week away in Sunny Florida. Contacted Thrifty Car Rental, and booked a reservation. Realizing I could not drive due to medications, I called them back and changed the primary driver's name to my aide, with my credit card to be charged for the rental. For this I was charged an additional $28.82. Upon arrival in Florida, we went to pick up the car. The non English Speaking agent found the confirmation, and proceeded to process the rental.

She asked for my aide's credit card to which I protested since I was charged by Hotwire. She said it was a "Formality". She then proceeded to ask if we wanted "Insurance and other coverages". Being a retired Insurance broker, I told her that both myself and my aide had more than adequate insurance Coverage to take care of any problem that arose. She handed my aide a paper and said "Sign paper saying you don't want coverage". My aide did, and learned upon returning home that Thrifty CHARGED an additional fee of $382.84 making a total of $717.99 for six days and less than 200 miles use of a compact car. In trying to get an explanation from Thrifty and Hotwire I was treated rudely and told it was my fault. How pray do they justify charging this outrageous price and tell me it's my fault. Beware of both these companies. They are not reliable or honest.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Hotwire was not helpful at all with an issue with the hotel. The heat unit went out during the night in the room we were staying in. Woke at 4am to extreme cold. Attendant at desk did not fix. He did provide blankets. Hotwire would not reimburse 1/2 of lodging cost. They offered instead a $20 coupon good for next booking. Since I won't be using their services again, I declined.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Deal was the same price as Booking.com, but with less options. Regular customer service was appalling, no flexibility and no care for customers. Corporate customer service is simply impossible to reach (tried 15 times and always ended up on voicemail). It was my first and last time booking a room through this site.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I recently booked a car rental through Hotwire at the "bargain" HOT RATE. After payment was made via debit card confirmation was sent, however the local car rental company does not accept debit on people living locally. This information was not made until after payment was made and their policy is no refunds on "bargain" HOT RATES. This is a scam and they should be shut down. I will never use a booking company again and furthermore I will contact my state's Attorney General and report this practice.

Hotwire.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotwire is a San Francisco-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates on a wide range of services, including flights, car rentals and hotel rooms.

• Bundled services: Hotwire lets customers bundle travel services to get discounts.

• Partners: Hotwire partners with several other travel businesses, including Expedia and Hotels.com to access more deals.

• Mobile app: The iOS mobile app lets customers use Apple Pay.

• Last-minute deals: Hotwire publishes steep discounts from hotels that want to fill rooms at the last minute.

• Cancellations: Hotwire accepts cancellations for rooms at most hotels.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs