2. Travel
Hotwire

Hotwire

3.8/5 (1381 ratings)

About Hotwire

Hotwire is a travel and vacation website that offers deeply discounted deals on hotels, car rentals, flights and more. With Hotwire, you can book deals directly from the site or through the company’s app.

Pros

• Deals in many categories
  • Easy to book online or with app
  • Significantly discounted rates

Cons

• No cancellations
  • Doesn’t show hotel name until booked

Bottom Line

Hotwire sells hotel rooms, car rentals, flights and vacation packages that might otherwise go unsold for discounted rates. It partners with many major companies to provide a variety of options.

Top Hotwire Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Verified

I reserved a hotel room using the hot rate tool, which gives you an undisclosed hotel in a certain star range for a very good price. ... When I arrived at my hotel this time, ther...

Verified

Hotwire gives best deals and details and handles issues much faster than others. They give you area comparisons and options to add to your trip like rental car and outings. The de...

What is Hotwire?

Hotwire finds hotel rooms, rental cars and vacation packages at deeply discounted rates. Travelers can look up travel information on the website or the mobile app and access 24/7 customer service.

The company advertises the ability to connect you with four-star hotels at two-star prices, and it partners with leaders in the travel industry, such as Hilton, Hyatt and most major car rental companies and airlines.

How does Hotwire work?

You can use Hotwire to search for flights, hotel accommodations, rental cars and vacation experiences. You will not see the hotel's name until you book your stay — this is what allows Hotwire to offer such deep discounts.

Hotwire gives you other information about the hotel, such as the star rating, customer reviews, the city where it's located, an area map and sometimes even a detailed description of the local neighborhood and a list of local landmarks.

Hotwire has an easy-to-use filter option so you can narrow down your search by location and date.

Hotels
Enter your destination, check-in date, check-out date and how many guests will be traveling to have Hotwire show you a list of hotels in the area, their discounted rates, their Expedia reviews and other basic info. No names or addresses are included.

You can filter your search by hotel class, price range, amenities, guest rating and the general area. Before you book, you’ll see the base rate, your dates and additional fees. Once you book, the sale is final and you receive the name of the hotel, the address and other specifics.

Car rental
Booking a rental car on Hotwire works much like booking a hotel. You enter your dates and pickup and dropoff location. Hotwire lets you choose your preferred car type and set your budget before presenting a list of rental cars at discounted rates.
Flights
When you’re booking flights, Hotwire tells you the name of the airline you’ll be flying with. It also gives you flight details such as change fees and the number of layovers.
Vacation experiences
When you book a vacation package with Hotwire, you have the option to bundle your hotel, car and flight.

Hotwire prices

While Hotwire strives to give you the best vacation experiences at low prices, there are a few other fees to consider before booking. Before you confirm your purchase, Hotwire shows you a breakdown of your purchase, including the base rate and its “tax recovery charges and fees.” These fees vary based on the hotel that you're assigned.

It's also important to remember that some hotels have additional costs, such as parking, resort fees and convention fees. These charges typically aren't listed as part of the booking process, and travelers pay these extra fees with the hotel company directly.

Travelers can save more money with Hotwire by downloading the app and taking advantage of last-minute travel deals.

Hotwire FAQ

Who owns Hotwire?
Expedia Group owns Hotwire.
How do I get a refund from Hotwire?
All tickets and purchases through Hotwire are final and will not be refunded. All changes and cancellations must be made through the hotel, car rental company or airline.
How does Hotwire work for hotels?
Travelers enter their trip information into the search, and Hotwire produces a list of discounted rates available for that time. Customers do not know the name of the hotel until they make a reservation, but they do receive information about the hotel’s rating, location and customer reviews.
Does Hotwire have promo codes?
Yes. Customers can receive promo codes when they sign up to receive emails from Hotwire.

Is Hotwire legit?

Hotwire is a reputable travel company that is recognized across the globe for providing valid and discounted travel accommodations. It is owned by Expedia Group, another trusted and well-established leader in the travel industry. Some people may not like not knowing the name of the hotel they’re staying at until making a reservation, but Hotwire is worth checking out if your primary goal is keeping costs down when traveling.

Hotwire Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: May 15, 2021

Has the best deals and I highly recommend this platform. We booked a hotel in Hawaii and we had a room overlooking the ocean. We also got a great price on a rental car with unlimited miles. At the hotel we purchased discount tickets for a Cruise.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Hi, I’m writing this review about Hotwire, a company used to find hotel, auto and travel reservations. I rented a vehicle through them and was not able to pick up the vehicle. I contacted them and asked if I could get a refund for not receiving the vehicle but was denied. I understand they have company policies but did not want to give a partial refund or a rain check style of vehicle reservation. I do not approve of anyone using this service.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2021

Booked the Sierra Lodge in Three Rivers CA thru Hotwire. There was no mention in the hotwire ad about fireplaces in the room. The room reeked of smoke and creosote and had ashes on the floor. I was getting nauseous from the smell. We did not use or stay in the room. Hotwire would not provide us a refund even though it was a safety hazard and I offered them the receipt to show we stayed at another hotel in town.

Original review: June 16, 2021

Buyer beware of Hotwire pricing! The price Hotwire quoted me for a car rental from Dollar was not the final price I had to pay (Dollar adjusted the price) -- when I got to the Dollar counter I had no choice but to pay 75% more to Dollar than Hotwire quoted. When I went to Hotwire to get the difference they refused to refund the difference. When I asked to speak with people higher in the organization -- they refused. How can one make a good price decision/comparison when the price Hotwire quoted is not the final price? I will not use this company again!

Original review: June 15, 2021

I found a "Hot Deal" on a car rental for my upcoming business trip and read through all the fine print including the no cancellation, non-refundable clauses and made sure I remained vigilant when entering my dates and times for the online booking. I entered my payment information and again confirmed that the information needed was correct before clicking submit. A screen came up with a little animated character that said "Sorry, Something went wrong. Don't Worry it's us not you" which prompted me to refresh the page. Once doing so my payment was submitted and I received a confirmation only the dates were wrong.

I immediately called customer service to inquire the matter but was met with refusal to assist in any manner. Claims that nothing could be done even though this was no fault of my own. I collected text messages also stating the situation less than 10 minutes after the payment was taken. Now there is a vehicle in Atlanta waiting on a day that I will not be there. This is very poor business practices and should have been easily resolved. The car company Sixt said that since it was just a day difference that it would be no problem at their end to accept the changes, however Hotwire would just send them the info. Hotwire representatives even refuse to do this. Consumers...Please shop elsewhere for a company that actually respects their customers.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I booked a vehicle and due to their website, they automatically placed the check out date the day after the original booking date. I realized this error and immediately contacted Hotwire. The customer service representative said she could extend the vehicle booking date, as a favor to me, however, the cost of the extra days was double the original price quoted stating that the vehicle prices fluctuate. Sure they have decent prices, however, the website is very tricky and one must double, triple check their dates. If you make an error, the (NO) Customer Service will not assist in any manner to accommodate.

Original review: June 11, 2021

We rent a car through Hotwire. They take our money from card and provide us information about Sixt rental company in Orlando FL. Work schedule. Sixt rental they send us is 24 hr. We rent our pick up car at 11:30 pm. Flight was a little bit delay and we came to Sixt counter at 0:30am...and we kiss empty counter with work schedule 6am-:-11:59pm. Hotwire provide us false information. We take car from other company what was open 24hr. Hotwire refuse credit our money back.

Original review: May 24, 2021

I had to contact Hotwire's phone support to make a slight edit to a reservation. I called on Sunday night at 9 PM. I waited on hold for nearly three hours until the call dropped and had to start over.

Original review: May 9, 2021

I booked a hot rate auto rental for Indianapolis for an athletic event. I was shut out of the event because of Covid limits on participants. Being that I've utilized Hotwire 33 times prior, I felt certain that I could cancel or rebook for a new event in Atlanta. The event was during the same time frame as my original booking. I called "customer service," messaged Hotwire and all I got was non negotiable stall tactics. Buyer beware.

Original review: May 5, 2021

Rented through Hotwire website, discounted one-way from Spartanburg, SC to New Haven, CT. Confirmation had pickup at Spartanburg, no drop off, so unfortunately I assumed the reservation was good. When I got to Hertz, I was informed I had to drop off back in Spartanburg, no changes could be made. Called Hotwire to get this corrected. They said since the reservation was made round trip, it couldn’t be changed. Tried to explain the mistake was Hotwire’s, got no help at all. Last time I will ever use them.

Original review: April 15, 2021

I booked a 3.5 star hot rate hotel in Quito. I was promised Hotel Sebastian on the confirmation. When I went to hotel Sebastian. It ended up being a hostel. And I was given an 8 person shared dorm room.

Hotwire Company Information