Hotwire
1.08/5

Looking for a travel site?

Hotwire

1275 Hotwire Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Hotwire mentioned 4 star hotel! Wow... I was excited, It's Sheraton. But after you reach there, it will be a surprise. They don't rent you actual 4 star hotel. They will rent you property which is 100 year older ones which is not even 2 star with its amenities. What answer would you get if asked for different room in main building Sheraton hotel but not in sister property? Answer is: Customers who book with Hotwire wont get rooms in main building, rather will have a room provided in Lugui (really forgot name) hotel. But this is in Sheraton property. But very cheap room. Please, Instead go to 2 star hotels which will cost 35 to 55$ price budget.

The real deal comes when called to Hotwire! "Hello sir, we are sorry for inconvenience. We can refund you 75$ out of 113$ (which I paid). And you will have to check out of room within 15 minutes." Damn it, I roamed from front desk to room 3 times for dust in room, shower tub is not draining, cheap room - but Hotwire promise 4 star hotel. Now Hotwire also try to steal your money. You know Hotwire does not give you chance to breathe, because they would have already snatched your money. Know what you want, everyone are up for business! After you lose your money and mind, Everyone just tell you sweet sorry for no use.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

What a nightmare! We were overcharged on both the car rental and the hotel! We pointed this out to Hotwire and they agreed that yes we were overcharged but all sales are final so their hands are tied. Also they listed our hotel as pet friendly and we get there and there is no grass for our pet to go to the bathroom and their solution was to walk one mile each way to the dog park! We called Hotwire and again all sales are final even though it claims to be pet friendly and it isn't. We couldn’t stay in the hotel due to this and lost 400 dollars. Hotwire could care less if any of their customers are happy and have a good experience! They need shut down! How they overcharged us for the car was we had the car rental for 3 days, they charged us 8!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

This company is an absolute nightmare. I rarely write reviews, but I feel so strongly about my negative experience with Hotwire that I felt compelled to make an effort to dissuade everyone reading this to NOT use their services. My wife booked a room on Hotwire, or so she thought. It then came back and gave her a message saying the “reservation could not be completed” for whatever reason. Her card, however, was charged the rate. Apparently, this is a “pending” charge, but there was essentially no room booked to be subject to a hold. Getting the money back has been a complete disaster. No one knows anything, and it seems there is a complete company-wide communication breakdown at Hotwire, as my wife spoke to about 6 different people, each more useless than the previous.

They kept sending her to PayPal, who were helpful, but their hands were somewhat tied, as Hotwire must initiate the release of the funds. They took their time on the phone with her (as did our bank), but again, there was only so much they could do. Each Hotwire employee that my wife spoke to did nothing more than try over and over to get her off the phone, referring her to just about anyone else – she spoke to supervisors, call center reps, and God only knows who/what else. None of them were even remotely helpful, nor were they sympathetic.

They kept saying the “account manager” is the one who has to release the funds, but none of them seemed to know who this mysterious “account manager” was, or how to get in touch with them. Basically, they were telling her “yeah, tough ** – leave me alone so I can go on my break”. This is still going on and the money has STILL not been returned to us. I find this unacceptable, and I feel that the level of professionalism displayed by Hotwire is embarrassing. I will NEVER do business with this awful organization again, and I seriously encourage you to avoid them if possible. Thank you for reading.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I made a motel booking through Hotwire to continue a stay at the Quality Inn in Kent WA. The reservation was made the day before by my uncle directly through Quality Inn. When I checked in, I was not required to pay a $100 deposit. The next morning when I went to get my key renewed for the Hotwire extension I made, I was told that I would not only have to check out and wait until 3 pm to check back in, but that I'd also have to come up with a $100 deposit. Somehow, their policy changed overnight. I did not have the $100 at hand. When I told them a friend would lend it to me if they waited an hour, they said I'd still have to check out. Then they called the police, unprovoked, claiming I was refusing to leave.

When I contacted Hotwire to resolve the situation, they were unable to resolve it in a manner that allowed me to stay. I accepted this, but insisted that I be refunded the money I'd already paid for the room. After all, I didn't even have the $100 deposit, so the $67 I'd paid Hotwire was the only thing between me and homelessness at this point. Speaking with a manager at Hotwire Customer Service, I was assured I'd be refunded my money, but it would take 3-5 business days. I accepted this, then used the $100 a friend lent me to keep indoors that night. 14 business days later I still had not received a refund.

I was told by yet another CSR manager that they'd investigate whether the initial manager made the offer of the refund, which would take 3-5 days, and if the offer was made (IT WAS) it would be honored, but the refund would take another 3-5 days. I then thanked them, expecting to see my refund in 6-10 business days. 11 Business days later I called asking where my refund was. I was told that the investigation found no proof the offer was made by the initial manager to whom I spoke, and that they were keeping my $67. This company not only stole my $67, they then spent hundreds of dollars justifying their $67 theft. Not only are they liars and thieves, they are also bad business people and anyone invested in them should get out before their flawed customer service policies drive them out of business.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I recently purchased a Hotel advertised on Hotwire. It was described as a "Three and a Half Star Hotel at Fifty-Seven percent discount from the standard rate." Hotwire made a mistake. Hotwire made a major mistake. I was booked into a lower quality Hotel than advertised. The rate I was charged was two dollars MORE per night than if I had booked directly through the Hotel. NOTHING in their advertisement was as it was described. I immediately contacted Hotwire Customer Service. They refused to do anything, anything at all to remedy their Mistake. They kept saying they have a "no refunds Policy". Hotwire Scammed me. They refused to do anything, anything at all. What is most annoying is that they seem to think that they are so big that they can ignore basic customer service as well as the Consumer Protection laws of the State of California.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Booked 5 rooms for a job in Edmundston NB Canada. They took $2700 from my credit card. When my 5 guys showed up there was no bookings - had to sleep in trucks. Do not use Hotwire.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Used online Hotwire reservation to get "hot deals" as proclaims. I chose my destination area, dates, number of rooms, and filtered by the ONLY 2 AMENITIES needed, Free Breakfast and an INDOOR pool. I submitted my request and was assigned a non-refundable hotel room, with an OUTDOOR POOL. I called to ask if the filter setting was wrong since I got an outdoor pool. Hotwire explained not all amenities are guaranteed since it was a random selection.

I do not understand the purpose of filters to choose from then, I offered to pay the difference to upgrade the reservation to a place with an indoor pool, spent 35 minutes on the phone, asked to speak to the manager to only get more frustrated. I ended up calling the hotel who switched me to a sister hotel and allowed me to pay the difference, thankfully I was assigned to a hotel that cares about customer service. I WILL NEVER USE HOTWIRE AGAIN, their customer service was horrible, especially since they charged for a product they did not deliver!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I book a 4 star hotel that was worth my money being excited with my family and a place to sleep for my daughter. We got there at 10 pm knowing that our room was guaranteed for late arrival. After a 8 hr drive we got to our destination. The hotel stated they have no reservations under my name even though I got an confirmation number. The hotel had no rooms available and turned us away.

Disappointing and exhausted I was on the phone waiting with callbacks for about 2 hours. If it wasn’t for the hotel manager feeling sorry for us we would have nowhere to stay. We did get lucky with the hotel manager that put us in a shack room at a sister hotel at the bad part of town with clubs and music playing all night long. Not a family location but we were very lucky to find a room to stay for the night. I will never use hotels again and will relay to message to anyone to be aware and be careful who you trust to book a hotel.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I booked a “3-star” hotel via Hotwire so you don’t receive the name until after you pay; I ended up getting Clarion Inn and Suites. Hotwire gave me this room for $76/night. I go to Clarion direct website and the price was $75/night. I would have saved $10 by booking directly with the hotel and know what I was getting myself into... Anyways, the Clarion website advertises heated indoor pool, hot tub, free wifi, and cable. Upon check in, I said, “The pool smells so good.” His response: “Yeah... by the way, it’s not heated as advertised.” I say, “Oh ok. Well what about the hot tub?” His response, “Yeah that’s not working either.”

I get to the room and it’s fairly clean. I turn the TV on and the cable isn’t working. I call the desk and the night manager says, “I’m the only one working and there isn’t a maintenance guy so...” I ask if maybe he could walk me through fixing it myself by providing instructions over the phone. His response, “No... you’ll have to wait 'til maintenance is on duty tomorrow.” We decided to watch Netflix on our individual devices but WiFi wouldn’t connect. The Clarion site would pop up to input room info and then there was an error message. I called the night manager and he said to keep doing it over and over again and eventually it would connect... he was right. It took about 5 times. I definitely won’t be staying in Clarion again. :-(

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I never used Hotwire before and I changed the currency to CAD dollars and I got a 4.5 star for 2 for $470 all inclusive for 7 days. On August 24th I arrived in Dominican Republic at 10:40 pm so tired and hungry. When I tried to get my room I was told that my friend and I can't go in the room that I already paid for because neither one of us were American??? And I have to pay $600 more. I was pissed because that same day I lost my Visa and I only have $200 on me. I decided to use their phone to call Hotwire so this can be solved. Hotwire seemed confused which made me more upset. I was told from Hotwire that the $470 was to reserve the room??? Okay so if that's true why the hell was I not allowed to sleep in the bed and figure out everything the next morning??

My friend and I ended up having to sleep on the lobby couches for the night starving like animals and I ended up using all my money from calling Hotwire which solved nothing!!! In the morning I had to use my cell phone to makes call and get someone to go in my home to give me my other Visa card info, after I received it my friend and I didn't get in our room until 12:30 pm. On my last day I had to spend the whole day at the airport because I was lucky enough to catch a taxi ride with some strangers at 11 am. Unfortunately my flight was not until 9:30 pm... Worst experience ever! After as soon as I got back home I called Hotwire and lyxklt. I got my refund but I feel like they should of paid me back more for the trouble and losing 2 days of my stay.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I booked and prepaid a hotel through Hotwire. The hotel desk came after I checked in and said I had to pay again or leave. After over two hours of going back and forth with customer service they said they hadn’t sent them my reservation and had them refund the double charge. I said I lost two hours of sleep because of this. I want a refund from Hotwire it was your fault. They refused!!! Never book with this site!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I was charged $82 for their hot-rate unknown hotel room and found the same hotel for less. Get this on their own site and the rate of $59 was listed on Google in 4 other places...and yeah I got the Philippines runaround. They never take responsibility even when they are staring at the evidence. In addition to getting shabby motels when promised decent and better hotels I wish them the karma of what they have given...like this has been going on for years.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I booked 2 room for 4 nights thru Hotwire for my family to attend my mother's funeral in Ft. Lauderdale. We were supposed to have rooms that were handicap-accessible for my disabled veteran father; that didn't happen. We were inconvenienced by having to move to a different motel the second night to accommodate my father with handicap-accessibility, as was promised. Hotwire misquoted the nightly price, so we had to pay an additional $10/night per room unexpectedly at the Royal Beach Resort in Ft. Lauderdale. Furthermore, the motel did not return our deposits of $105 and $168 for our rooms because they accused us of smoking in the rooms. After our departure, we were blindsided with an additional $250 charge for the smoking accusation. I have severe asthma, and my elderly infirm father has COPD. We DID NOT smoke in the rooms. We will never stay at the Royal Beach Resort nor used Hotwire.com again!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Booked hotel reservation and when I needed service was talked to by rude ignorant people in the Philippines. They lied about calling the property and treated me with total disrespect. These third party scammers increase booking fees in order to compensate for slightly reduced rates. When or if you have an issue watch out. Never will I book again thru third party.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Never used Hotwire before, I always using Booking.com or Cheapoair.com. Stick with what you know. I wanted the cheapest flight so I went with Hotwire. I got everything done and entered my payment info and proceeded to buy my ticket for $108.00. It kept telling me invalid payment. But as it was telling me invalid but I was getting notifications from my bank that money was being taken out by Hotwire. I immediately called my bank. At this point Hotwire had taken $189.00 from me. I called Hotwire and explained that they had taken my money out several payments and never issued a ticket. I got transferred to 3 different people and no one would give me any answers.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I booked a blind booking for a 2.5 star hotel with Hotwire. I was guaranteed that the hotel would be 2.5 star rating, and equal in quality to extended stay, Ledgestone And I can’t recall the third one but these were all new hotels in Billings Montana. Hotwire back to me at the Red Lion Hotel, Which was a Holiday Inn about 10 years ago. When it was a Holiday Inn, it was a 2.0 star hotel, but it was kept up nicely and very clean. The Hotwire photos of the Red Lion resembled the pictures from when it was a Holiday Inn. That’s the children and I booked a week in the hotel, as we are waiting for our apartment to be finished. After moving all day shut up to the Red Lion about eight, the front lobby is fancy and the hotel is a high-rise in that area, but there is also four, two-story buildings behind the high-rise.

The Red Lion supposedly updated the front, high rise, portion of the hotel. I would not know because we were directed when I’m back buildings. When we pulled up there were guys outside and were sketchy, we loaded the luggage cart which we had to walk equal to a block in distance away to the back of the hotel, there were no ramps to get it up on the sidewalk after we had it loaded. We enter the building and the carpet was torn up in numerous areas, was stained black in a lot of places, the hotel was filthy, with dirt and mud on the walls, spiders and webs, and as we walked down the little poorly lit hallway, we past people who were obviously on **.

When we got to the room did not work, we had our cart full of stuff and office was a block away, I wasn’t about to leave my kids with the cart, alone, so we all had to push the cart all the way to the front to get our keys activated then another block back to our room. We entered the room and the first thing you see is that the carpet is stained black with years and years of ground in dirt and who knows what else. The couch and chair had stains all over them were tan in color, the bedspread was dangerously the bathroom tile was pulled up and missing pieces, the shower had mold in between the tiles and dirt around the drain. I called the front desk and requested a new room, she did oblige but was not so friendly. She stated I would have to come back to the front desk in order to get different keys, when I got there, she asked me what I needed for a room and informed me that any room in the tower was unavailable.

She then stated that I am the only had one room available, and it was in a different building in the back and it did not have an elevator to the second floor. So my children and I after moving out of her house all day long and being jerked around by the hotel for an hour now, had to go back to the first room, force the cart back through the Hallway, out and down to the first floor, and then go a half a block further around the corner, to another building, and then haul all of our stuff up the stairs, we had two carts full. We get into the room and it’s two double size beds which is a little bigger than a twin and my two children are grown teenagers. Again the carpet was disgusting. There was no way in hell I was putting my feet on it, the bedding was dingy. The room was a tad bit cleaner, but there was still mold in the bathroom, piss around the toilet, and dirt around the drain.

By this time it was 10 PM. We were all exhausted and hurting and my son went to stay at his friends house. My daughter and I slept in the hotel. In the morning, I felt so dirty, from sleeping in this room, I put my flip-flops on, and attempted a shower but it didn’t even work! I again called the front desk demanding a different room, I paid for a 2.5 star room, and would like a room that I am not grossed out by and that will fit my family. The manager got snotty with me and told me she had no other rooms and refused to let me speak with her supervisor.

I then called Hotwire and a Kayla told me that they would not give me a refund and offered to move me to another 2.5 star hotel but I would have to pay for the night that I stayed at the dive. I was not happy with this arrangement as I did not pay to stay in a dive. Hotwire misrepresented the quality of the room and my children and I could not even be accommodated with beds or shower or a clean environment.

I told him I would not pay for the one night I had demanded a refund. The lady began telling me I was full of crap because the hotel had remodeled and it was it 2.5 star hotel, I told her I had pictures and it is not even a 1.0. She offered me a room that would cost me $550 dollars, on top of the $450 I paid them for the Red Lion room. They would not be able to refund that money until after I paid for the new hotel. Hotwire also would not be refunding 70 of it because I had spent the night. I demanded to speak with her supervisor and she is well refused and got hostile. I informed her I would be checking out and demanded a full refund.

I called back and got a supervisor on the phone, they agreed to refund all but that one night and $25 for my troubles. It did not even begin to cover my travel but I had spent hours upon hours arguing with these people on the phone and I just needed my money back so I accepted. In the end I ended up with a $350 refund and that is it. Hotwire clamp I would have to get the first nights refund back from the hotel and they never gave me any sort of compensation not even the $25. They were rude and disrespectful and do not care about customer satisfaction, They lie on their website and rip off the consumers. Never again will I use this site.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I booked a flight for 6:00 AM and the minute I hit the submit button it changed to 6 PM. I called and spoke to less of a man that started hollering in the phone that there was nothing that he could do for me. That I had already hit the submit button and I was "out of luck". They practically stole $666.79 from me and now they have a lousy excuse as to why they can't refund my money. I never took that flight because I needed an AM flight not a PM. Don't ever use Hotwire unless you want to get ripped off and treated with a lot of disrespect.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I was trying to rent a car on my NEW iPhone X, and had initially looked at the 5 day rental. But I couldn't get a decent online connection, since I was out in the country, so I waited until I was closer to the city to finish this transaction. When I opened the app again, I went straight to reservations, since I'd been given no notice that anything had gone through. I booked for 9 days. When I got to the Alamo desk at the airport, the clerk pointed out that I had indeed booked a 5 day reservation AND a 9 days reservation. I asked if the 5 day charge could be removed, and she told me yes. They weren't. I called the next day about this issue, and spoke to a person named Andy. He/She/it said that it wasn't hotwire's policy to give refunds, but since it appeared to be on hold (the payment) I should wait until I turn the car in to be sure. So, I did that.

The next day, it was still on my credit card. I called my Chase bank, and they told me to be patient, it might take up to 10 days to come off of my credit card. So, after the 10 days, I called Andy back at Hotwire. Again, a bunch of runaround (which likely wouldn't have been a problem if this ANDY spoke better English) led Andy to tell me it is Hotwire's policy not to refund money. After looking online, I see this is their business model: Create a faulty app that tells you your transaction didn't go through, then take their account info and abuse their credit cards. They've been reported to the Better Business Bureau. And I intend to post on each and every website that will allow me. I refuse to take this lying down!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I booked a room for an emergency at my home and I had to vacate. I arrived at the wrong location, and I was told to contact the general manager for a refund. I called the next morning and was told I cannot receive a refund even though I never even check in! I am out of $150.00 now, I will never book through this company again! They will lie to you, and give you the runaround.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Apparently, choosing a non-smoking room is not an option on hot deals anymore. As a long time Hotwire user, I am disappointed to say I will no longer use their service. If you book a Hotwire hot deal you may be booked into a smoking room with no option. On arrival to our hotel I found that the only way I could get a non-smoking room after Hotwire had booked me a smoking room was to pay a $60 upcharge. I am disappointed with both Best Western and Hotwire for not deciding not to make this work somehow or reimburse me. I paid for the room and could not use it. Rebooked another hotel through Priceline with no issue. Amazing that they can put someone automatically into an unhealthy situation with no regard for medical conditions and then just say “too bad”. Dumb business plan to throw away a long time customer over $57.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I placed a car rental for three days. Ideally, the price was $50 per day. So, the value was a total of 214 included taxes. When I got the confirmation e-mail, they charged $1207. It was $350 per day plus taxes. I called Hotwire and they told me it is not refundable. It is insane. I was planning to travel to a contiguous state. Literally, this is four times more expensive of a flight rate. I told representative this and she agreed it is crazy but anyway it is not refundable. Do not use Hotwire, literally they are a scam.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Purchased travel insurance so I could cancel in case my plans changed due to hurricane Florence. Sure enough my work location was changed to work the flood recovery, and the travel insurance was useless. Was told it takes death or illness to receive a refund. First and last time using Hotwire.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Hotwire bait and switched the dates I needed my car rental. When I got the confirmation, I saw different dates than I booked. I prepaid on my credit card and was told I could not get a refund unless I booked the dates I want and of course at a higher rate! The supervisor told me she had "no power" to refund and then why is she a supervisor? I would not recommend HOTWIRE to anyone. It was my first and LAST time dealing with them. No compassion or understanding of the computer reverting back to the dates they wanted than the ones I booked. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HOTWIRE... a pity they can be included as "travel industry"... Reservation details. Driver name Katherine **. Price summary (USD): 1 day x 17.60. Taxes and fees 11.57. Subtotal 29.17. Hotwire Total (USD) 29.17 (Charged to Visa ending in on Sep 12, 2018). Payment summary: Customer name Katherine **. Phone number. Payment method Visa ending in. Transaction date Sep 12, 2018.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

When I was reserving the rental car the person said "no worries even though it states we won't refund your money, if you have to cancel just call us and we will refund your money if you cancel before Oct 31 2018". So today is Sept 11 2018 and I call to cancel the reservation only to be told, "we will not be refunding your money". REALLY, now I'm out 266.00.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Our trip was just changed because of a medical problem with the people we were visiting, so we called Hotwire to cancel our car rental. We did not see where, when we booked, that our reservation was non-refundable. We found that out when we called today, and are pretty upset that we could not even get a credit for our $400.00 8 day rental. We got a lot of sorries on their end, and we are the sorrier, being out $400.00.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I don't even know where to begin! My experience was the worst with Hotwire I believe. 2 yrs ago, I made a reservation and right there immediately I got an email confirmed saying I was all set, no need to call the hotel... Blah blah. I showed up to the hotel the next day, only to find out there that I had no reservation with the hotel. I called Hotwire... Back and forth, no one could tell me what happened. Then I was given a number by hotwire agent telling me to call that number and leave a VM and someone will call me back. That day I was so sick and waiting for hrs, no one called me back. My hubby had to end up getting me another hotel with a crazy expensive price because it was booked last min and at a time that's super busy. I tried to call back many times... Wanting to know what the hell happened with my account. All I was told what them agents got no clue. Just kept telling me to call that stupid none-answered-number they gave me.

After my vacation, I got back home, tried calling them for another 2 months with numerous times, no one ever called me back and there's a $200 credit in my account. I just told myself that I'd deal with them later... And that later turned into a year, I called Hotwire, same thing happened. Now is 2 yrs, I just called Hotwire and asked them, "Listen I don't care about my account anymore, just credit that credit back to my bank account, or transfer to another account user that I know..." The agent now told me there's nothing they can do, because they have no record of my account. I'd have to call that number (that no one ever answers, or call you back.)

So there, pretty much they "stole" my money and just hid away like a coward. So first, overbooked my reservation, then blamed that my account was fraud, when I knew it has nothing to do with fraud. I know what it looks like when there's fraud, you'd get a note asking if it's you that booked this or that... For my case... NOTHING! Then completely disappeared and never even send me the credit in my account but deactivated my account and there's nothing I can do. And now I get hung out with Hotwire, because they said I have to call that no and there's nothing they can do for me and hung up on me.WOW! I'm just pissed because it's only ** $200 but really? Hotwire is a big company, but no one really knows who the shady ** behind this online booking thing. No one knows who he/she is, could be some low life thief/scammers that turn out to be this horrible when in a situation like this. BEWARE!! THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU PEOPLE!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I was rent the car from Hotwire. The rent car company given total price $443.39, but Hotwire charged $508. They invoice summary 8 day rent fee $335.76, tax and fees $172.24. There was no explanation for tax and fee. Don't be trickery Hotwire!! Don't be use Hotwire!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I made a 7-day car rental via Hotwire. When my plan changed, I called them immediately - before ever picking up the car - and canceled the reservation. The staff on the phone confirmed that it was canceled. I never picked up the car. Then, when my credit card monthly statement came in the mail, I noticed the full charge of $238.67 - for what? I called them again, but the staff denies that the reservation was canceled, because the rate I was quoted was a "special rate," which had locked in my reservation. That's not what the staff had told me the first time when I called to cancel. Hotwire knows what it's doing. They have developed a methodical scam, using cunning practices, to scam customers. I will NEVER use Hotwire again, but the company needs to be sued and voted out of existence. It's a matter of time that this will happen.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

After spending over two hours on the phone - the vast majority of the time on hold - trying to change one flight for a family of 4, and after being charged $960 in change fees ($240 per person), I got an email the night before my flight saying that two of the passengers' tickets had been cancelled for no reason. I tried logging into the airline's system and the tickets had completely disappeared. Now I'm on the phone with Hotwire for a 5th time today and they are very perplexed about why they can't find these tickets...yet they still have no idea what they're doing and how to fix it. How is this even possible? Do not use Hotwire unless you want to be stuck in a foreign country!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I will likely never use Hotwire or their parent company, Expedia, again. I booked and paid for a hotel reservation on Hotwire.com for a room in Vero Beach, Florida on September 1 and 2, 2018. I received an email confirmation stating that my room was booked. My credit card was charged. After driving two and a half hours with children to the hotel on a holiday weekend, I arrived at the hotel to check in. The front desk clerk told me that they were sold out and that there were no rooms available. I showed her my printed confirmation letter with a confirmation number from Hotwire/Expedia. She apologized and said that Hotwire/Expedia had sold me a room that did not exist.

She said they had been booked for several days and that Hotwire/Expedia should never have sold me the room. I found myself with no hotel room on a holiday weekend. I called Hotwire and explained what had happened. There was no apology and no explanation how I could be sold a room and given a confirmation number for a room that did not exist. I asked the customer service agent if she could assist me with finding another hotel and she said, "No, I am sorry you are unhappy!" Not only did this ruin my holiday weekend trip, but I now will never book through a third party again. I will only go through the hotel directly. This is outright fraud and I am working to file a legal complaint with the Florida Attorney General's office.

Hotwire.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotwire is a San Francisco-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates on a wide range of services, including flights, car rentals and hotel rooms.

• Bundled services: Hotwire lets customers bundle travel services to get discounts.

• Partners: Hotwire partners with several other travel businesses, including Expedia and Hotels.com to access more deals.

• Mobile app: The iOS mobile app lets customers use Apple Pay.

• Last-minute deals: Hotwire publishes steep discounts from hotels that want to fill rooms at the last minute.

• Cancellations: Hotwire accepts cancellations for rooms at most hotels.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs