Hotwire
2.74/5

Looking for a travel site?

Hotwire

Looking for a travel site?

Hotwire Reviews

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I reserved a hotel room using the hot rate tool, which gives you an undisclosed hotel in a certain star range for a very good price. I always use this tool. When I arrived at my hotel this time, there was a safety issue that worried me, so I called Hotwire. They rebooked the room to a different hotel no questions asked, at no additional cost. I will always use Hotwire and the hot rate option.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

My husband and I wanted to stay in downtown Boston for one night at the end of a New England fall foliage trip. The hotel prices were outrageous. I saw a Hot Deal for $88. We discussed it and decided we’d try it and see what happened. Once I booked, I learned that we were booked at the Boston Hilton Faneuil Hall area, which was great. However, when I call the Hilton to doublecheck that they had our reservation, they did not! I was patient and waited a couple of days and tried again, still no luck. When I would call Hotwire, I would be put on hold for extensive periods of time while they called the Hilton, spoke to Hotwire reservationists, etc. They would then ask me to call back in two days to allow time for Hilton to receive the resubmission of the reservation.

After two more days, same answer...Hilton had no record. I finally called Hotwire and asked to speak with a supervisor. Ultimately, after confirming that Hilton did not have our reservation, the Hotwire supervisor offered us either a refund or to book us in a comparable hotel for the $88 price. That was a no brainer for me! She booked us at the Marriot Long Wharf and Hotwire paid the difference between the current Hot Deal Rate at the Long Wharf and what we had paid for the Hilton. We stayed there last night with no issues at check-in. The hotel was awesome and completely as promised. Although it was a pain and time consuming to get this straight, we ultimately got an amazing deal and Hotwire made it right. I would so this again.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Hotwire is my go to spot when I need a last second hotel room anywhere. They find the best deals. The best part is the ease to use their map that shows prices based on distance from where you want to be.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Sometimes the hotel is not as described. It would be more helpful if everyone was pretty much on the same page. While the booking experience is good the place sometimes can be challenging as with our most recent experience. It was not as described. Almost reminded me of a place like a shelter.

Original review: April 21, 2019

Yesterday I arrived at Tampa airport quite late due to a 2-hour delay caused by mechanical issues on the plane. When I went to "Ace" car rental at 11:30 pm to get my reserved car I was surprised to find the counter empty and closed. I immediately found a number and called "Ace" but they would not make any arrangements to satisfy me.

So I called Hotwire figuring it would take me an hour to connect with an operator, but surprisingly within 2 minutes the operator Nannette was on the phone. She easily pulled my information and inquired what can she do to help. I related my situation and explained how frustrated I was and didn't want to spend anything extra for a situation that was not my fault. Nannette politely explained my options and initiated a search. She was able to find a new rental from Thrifty and cancel my other reservation... I ended up saving $70 in the process. I am so appreciative of all the help and professionalism that Nannette displayed that I will try to use Hotwire much more in my future travel plans.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Never ever book with Hotwire. They conveniently lost our HotDollars, which are Hotwire Dollar used for future purchases even though we have emails showing that we have them -- and they haven't expired yet. The story began when We had originally booked a hotel about 10 months ago for 3 people and they only had a room for 2 when we showed up after a 7 hour drive 9 months ago.

After a two hour phone conversation with multiple supervisors, they agreed to refund our credit card and offered the aforementioned HotDollars as a conciliatory gesture since they told us we would have to backtrack an hour to find a replacement hotel that was 1/2 a star less and didn't get nearly as good reviews. We tried to redeem those HotDollars tonight (9 months later) and in their system they don't exist. We even forwarded the emails to them. They didn't care. Zero customer service. I even reached out to the President of the company, Neha Parikh, who didn't even bother responding back. Don't ever trust Hotwire.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Rated a 4 Star by Hotwire - Metro Hotel Marlow Sydney Australia::: From the moment we entered the room, we could tell we were in trouble. The 8 foot glass sliding door that opened to the dressing wardrobe was hanging on a thread. Despite notifying the front desk immediately that we would soon be impaled by glass shards the size of a small iceberg, no action was taken. Moving into the bathroom, one could easily feel the warm dampness of mildew cutting the airwaves.

Looking at the placement of the toilet, wedged firmly in the corner, if you are 6 foot or taller, be prepared to do your best yoga stretches before entering. Nothing spells comfort than performing a diagonal poo since your legs will never fit in the space provided. Your partner will love you for it as the angle makes for a good take on the "Reverse Kanga"! As you contort your body into a pretzel-like position, be sure to take in the views. From counting the rings of dirt on the bathtub, I would have to gauge that the bath is approx. 35 years old. The unusual placement of the towel rack above the toilet bowl only adds to the excitement when standing from your contorted pretzel pooping position. If you are lucky like I was, the poop wasn't the only thing to hit the side of the bowl.

If you are into cramped hotel spaces, possibly a cardboard box may suit you better than this overpriced, overrated, rundown hotel. I think the only reason why they put the Gideon's bible in the side draw is because this could be your one and only way out of this world. Enter at your own risk, my fellow trendsetters and never believe in the star rating!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Reserved a FULL SIZE SUV, through Hotwire but company was THRIFTY, When arrived at car rental the customer service rep was giving me a Kia Sorrento, I told him that when I reserved it was a full size suv, description was CHEVY TAHOE, FORD EXPEDITION, NISSAN ARMADA ETC. Never was there a Kia sorrento in the description. On top of that he wanted to charge me $80 extra a day plus I was charged a deposit which I never have been charged. I contacted Hotwire about the situation. Customer rep asked me the same question over and over through the whole chat. Customer service rep seemed like they wanted to get off the chat already, no knowledge and tells me they the rental company gives whatever is available. When I went to get vehicle there was a row of full size suv. Be careful with Hotwire and thrifty car rental.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

We booked through the site months in advance for a hotel reservation at a small college town, Stillwater, for homecoming weekend. When we got to the hotel there was one car in the parking lot and hotel was closed!!! Knocked on locked front door and the security guard came to the door to say hotel closed for remodeling and that they had been telling Hotwire.com for months!!! Called hotel's customer service, she put me on hold to call hotel, while I’m standing there with security going. He tells her same thing!! She tells me she will try to find us a room, but I knew she wouldn’t, it’s a small college town that gets booked up months in advance. We drove 1000 miles to get there and no room!! Then she has the nerve to tell me she won’t charge me a cancellation fee and she’ll give me back my money!!!! Never, ever again.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I was researching renting a SUV in San Jose Costa Rica. I had been looking/watching rates for a month. The airport code is SJO. When I entered that code, SJO, on Lowfare.com one of the sites it took me to was Hotwire. Unknown to me that site changed the code to SJC = San Jose California. I booked a car, when I reviewed my booking I noticed the error. I called Hotwire within 10 minutes of the booking and the refused to refund my money citing that I had booked on a Hot Rate program. I didn't notice that but they didn't care that their site changed the location. Why did it do that? Because Hotwire doesn't have a Hot Rate program in Costa Rica. No money back but they credited my Hotwire account - which I did not have, but had to establish. Never use this site!!

Hotwire.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotwire is a San Francisco-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates on a wide range of services, including flights, car rentals and hotel rooms.

• Bundled services: Hotwire lets customers bundle travel services to get discounts.

• Partners: Hotwire partners with several other travel businesses, including Expedia and Hotels.com to access more deals.

• Mobile app: The iOS mobile app lets customers use Apple Pay.

• Last-minute deals: Hotwire publishes steep discounts from hotels that want to fill rooms at the last minute.

• Cancellations: Hotwire accepts cancellations for rooms at most hotels.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs