2. Travel
Hotwire

Hotwire

3.8/5 (1391 ratings)

About Hotwire

Hotwire is a travel and vacation website that offers deeply discounted deals on hotels, car rentals, flights and more. With Hotwire, you can book deals directly from the site or through the company’s app.

Pros

• Deals in many categories
  • Easy to book online or with app
  • Significantly discounted rates

Cons

• No cancellations
  • Doesn’t show hotel name until booked

Bottom Line

Hotwire sells hotel rooms, car rentals, flights and vacation packages that might otherwise go unsold for discounted rates. It partners with many major companies to provide a variety of options.

Top Hotwire Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Verified

I reserved a hotel room using the hot rate tool, which gives you an undisclosed hotel in a certain star range for a very good price. ... When I arrived at my hotel this time, ther...

Verified

Hotwire gives best deals and details and handles issues much faster than others. They give you area comparisons and options to add to your trip like rental car and outings. The de...

What is Hotwire?

Hotwire finds hotel rooms, rental cars and vacation packages at deeply discounted rates. Travelers can look up travel information on the website or the mobile app and access 24/7 customer service.

The company advertises the ability to connect you with four-star hotels at two-star prices, and it partners with leaders in the travel industry, such as Hilton, Hyatt and most major car rental companies and airlines.

How does Hotwire work?

You can use Hotwire to search for flights, hotel accommodations, rental cars and vacation experiences. You will not see the hotel's name until you book your stay — this is what allows Hotwire to offer such deep discounts.

Hotwire gives you other information about the hotel, such as the star rating, customer reviews, the city where it's located, an area map and sometimes even a detailed description of the local neighborhood and a list of local landmarks.

Hotwire has an easy-to-use filter option so you can narrow down your search by location and date.

Hotels
Enter your destination, check-in date, check-out date and how many guests will be traveling to have Hotwire show you a list of hotels in the area, their discounted rates, their Expedia reviews and other basic info. No names or addresses are included.

You can filter your search by hotel class, price range, amenities, guest rating and the general area. Before you book, you’ll see the base rate, your dates and additional fees. Once you book, the sale is final and you receive the name of the hotel, the address and other specifics.

Car rental
Booking a rental car on Hotwire works much like booking a hotel. You enter your dates and pickup and dropoff location. Hotwire lets you choose your preferred car type and set your budget before presenting a list of rental cars at discounted rates.
Flights
When you’re booking flights, Hotwire tells you the name of the airline you’ll be flying with. It also gives you flight details such as change fees and the number of layovers.
Vacation experiences
When you book a vacation package with Hotwire, you have the option to bundle your hotel, car and flight.

Hotwire prices

While Hotwire strives to give you the best vacation experiences at low prices, there are a few other fees to consider before booking. Before you confirm your purchase, Hotwire shows you a breakdown of your purchase, including the base rate and its “tax recovery charges and fees.” These fees vary based on the hotel that you're assigned.

It's also important to remember that some hotels have additional costs, such as parking, resort fees and convention fees. These charges typically aren't listed as part of the booking process, and travelers pay these extra fees with the hotel company directly.

Travelers can save more money with Hotwire by downloading the app and taking advantage of last-minute travel deals.

Hotwire FAQ

Who owns Hotwire?
Expedia Group owns Hotwire.
How do I get a refund from Hotwire?
All tickets and purchases through Hotwire are final and will not be refunded. All changes and cancellations must be made through the hotel, car rental company or airline.
How does Hotwire work for hotels?
Travelers enter their trip information into the search, and Hotwire produces a list of discounted rates available for that time. Customers do not know the name of the hotel until they make a reservation, but they do receive information about the hotel’s rating, location and customer reviews.
Does Hotwire have promo codes?
Yes. Customers can receive promo codes when they sign up to receive emails from Hotwire.

Is Hotwire legit?

Hotwire is a reputable travel company that is recognized across the globe for providing valid and discounted travel accommodations. It is owned by Expedia Group, another trusted and well-established leader in the travel industry. Some people may not like not knowing the name of the hotel they’re staying at until making a reservation, but Hotwire is worth checking out if your primary goal is keeping costs down when traveling.

Hotwire Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: July 27, 2021

I reserved a hotel that was listed as an Ocean front hotel but it was surrounded by the buildings and almost 2 miles away from the ocean!! I talked with the supervisor and she said they can’t do anything about it and then hang up the phone on me!!! Definitely not gonna book with them and not gonna recommend to anyone!!

Original review: July 15, 2021

This is a horrible company, that does not understand what customer service is. Try at your own risk. I had a reservation that has been cancelled and they haven't refunded my money in over 3 weeks. Every time I call I get the (We are working on it). I mean how long does it take from a refund to be processed. On their site it says 7-10 business days and it's been about 15 business days and nothing yet.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2021

Good site to find discounted rental car prices, but I’ve been burned too many times to ever use again. “No refunds” means just that. At the start of the pandemic shutdowns I had prepaid for a rental thru Hotwire in Maui in May 2020. Even though that trip became impossible due to travel restrictions, I was unable to get a refund. More recently we got double charged for a rental through Sixt (both directly by the rental car company AND Hotwire), I disputed the double charge but to no avail, had to pay twice. I’ve used Hotwire twice to get a rental at ATL. Both times the line at the company they set me up with were more than 1 hr long (first time was Sixt, the next time Advantage). There were no lines either time at any of the other company counters.

Evidently Hotwire sends an inordinate number of buyers to the same company within a short period of time when said company is offering the best prices at the time. This is fine and legitimate if you don’t mind waiting a long time after your flight. Henceforth I have decided never to use Hotwire again. I would prefer paying a higher price by booking directly after all of the problems I have had with this company.

Original review: July 12, 2021

They stole $230 from me this past weekend because their site glitching caused a double-booking. Just talked to supervisor and showed that the issue was caused by their website issues, and she did not care in the least. Said their decision was final. Don't use unless you don't mind being ripped off.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I booked a hotel room for the same night through the website. My debit card was charged and I received my itinerary number. When I got to the hotel, they were unable to find the reservation. When I called the Hotwire automated number and entered my itinerary number, it could not be located. I selected the option to speak with someone and was told it would be a 3 hour wait. So, they took my money, I did not get the room and I am unable to speak with anyone unless I wait on hold for 3 hours. RIDICULOUS.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I tried to use their online rental car app, my wife booked the wrong dates by accident, I call them immediately to explain what had happened, they did not care, they refused to change the dates for me, I even offered to pay more to help the situation. I would not recommend this company for any of my friends or family. I can't believe they are still in business today.

Original review: July 6, 2021

1 star: Bad. June 22, 2021. Horrible customer service. Hotwire is a horrible uncaring and disreputable company. I recently availed myself of their services by renting a car on their website. I totally understand their policies. They have a no refund policy for any cancellations or changes to a reservation made through them. The car company they assigned to me was Sixt, a German company. They are equally horrible in their corporate practices and policies. When I went to the Sixt counter they would not honor my reservation and refused to rent me a car. They also said that they would not be refunding me any money. I know this sounds crazy, but it is the truth.

When I immediately contacted Hotwire they told me there was nothing they could do. They also refused to help and refused to refund my money. Let me express this point one more time. I rented a car using Hotwire. They gave me Sixt. Sixt refused to rent me a car and I am out over $600. A service was not provided, but I paid for it in full. You can't make this stuff up. I asked Hotwire to show me the clause in their agreement that states a service can be paid for, not provided and no one is responsible to answer for that. This is insane. The government needs to step in and protect consumers. I will not be deterred in my mission for justice. Hotwire is performing a criminal act....robbery. The only difference from an individual performing the crime is that they are doing it without a gun.

Original review: July 4, 2021

I have booked hotel in CA from Hotwire. When I reached Hotel at 1 AM after flight delays and all, the hotel ppl informed me that Hotwire didn’t send at information or booking info with my name. Contacted Hotwire customer care and received no response from them. Booked same room for double the price at 2AM. The next day contacted Hotwire after 24 hours they cancelled my hotel trip and refunded my original amount, not the difference which I paid. Customer service was so bad, said, "You have paid that with your card so Hotwire is not going to refund that money." I lost money because of this faulty application or bad service. Don’t use Hotwire and seems like I’m not the first person, lot of people faced similar issues. DON’T USE HOTWIRE JUST FOR SAVING 30-50, use direct site or any other application but not Hotwire.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Reserved a room through Hotwire from the deals that don't let you see hotel before you pay. Which was my error. The hotel we got was nasty!! Will never again do that and will not use hotwire in future. Never again.

Original review: June 30, 2021

Overcharged for my promo code I used during check out. Customer service is a joke and doesn't help...amenities missing from hotel..very disappointed and I will book directly from the hotels from now on to get information.

Hotwire Company Information