Hotwire
1.10/5
Based on 140 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Hotwire

1212 Hotwire Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018 I book a room through Hotwire's "Hot" rate, no cancellations, refunds or changes, and your hotel is not revealed til after they take your money from you. $175.73

They have a guarantee that they are lower than the rack rate. They don't make it clear that the guarantee only applies to the room rate, and that they make up for the discount by simply moving the discount amount to the "fees" side of your charges, so that I end up paying more than just using Marriott's reservation website, which in this case is $175.41.

Yes, I paid $.32 more using Hotwire. And they I called just now and they won't even pay me back $.32. They said Hotwire's room rate is lower, and it doesn't matter if the taxes and fees are 3 times higher on Hotwire than are charged by the hotel. I wanted them to refund me for overcharging me $12.32 on the taxes and fees compared to the rack rate taxes and fees. They said, no the guarantee doesn't cover that, and they are very sorry that I ended paying more using their services than booking directly, and please visit our site to make my next hotel booking, thank you very much!

Original review: June 20, 2018

We recently reserved a room from Hotwire for Durango Colorado for a vacation to ride the train but because of the recent fire the railroad cancelled our reservation and refunded us our money. I contacted Hotwire to see if we could get our money back $500.49 since there was no reason to make the trip now because the railroad would not be running. But they were rude and would not refund our money even though it was out of our control because of the wildland fire burning near Durango. I would not recommend this company to anyone because their customer service is crap. They don't care at all about you as a customer. They just want your money and are not willing to make things right.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2018

20% service fee, trip insurance is only for a medical emergency, non-refundable period. I was traveling with my daughter and her son and needed two beds. The site said you could choose the type of bed set-up you preferred. Once booked, I reviewed my purchase and was given a king bed and a couch at Cambria Suites in Fort Collins, CO. They also excluded the free breakfast. I called the hotel and they said too bad. I tried to use the cancellation insurance which stated you could cancel for any reason. Not so, medical emergency or catastrophe only. I am Giving Cambria Suites a negative review also. Hotwire customer service politely said, "you should have read everything very carefully, regardless if you like the accommodations or not, it is not refundable." DO NOT USE HOTWIRE.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I booked hotel from Hotwire with itinerary no ** in Kiev. Due to technical glitch of Hotwire website primary guest name was taken by website from my previously booked hotel in Dubai instead of my name. I wrote them many emails stating what has happened and proved that hotel is booked under my email ID and phone no and I can produce the card which was charged. But even after so many emails I have not been able to get a reply, not even negative. I feel cheated by them.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My family and I visited the Wyndham Hotel in New Jersey, May 9th through May 13th. Not only were we given the worst room in the hotel because we booked through Hotwire, but there were bed bugs on the bed. We have photos and video footage of the incident that we will soon make public since this situation was handled very poorly by both the General Manager of the hotel and Hotwire themselves. We had to contact Hotwire 4 days in a row just for a credit of 1 night out of the 5 nights we stayed and a $40.00 credit to our next booking. That is little to no compensation for a situation at that extent. I contacted Hotwire on June 15th to advise that I would like to give Hotwire one more chance to make a new booking for a more expensive hotel this time round. I requested to at least have $60.00 Hotbucks applied to my account instead of $40.00 which is really an insult in this instance.

I am a senior manager at a corporate office and I know how it should have been handled. However, the supervisor Brandi advised that she is unable to give me a further discount with an extremely nasty attitude and stated that it was a final decision. Then she immediately disconnected the call after speaking with her for less than 2 minutes. I called customer service and this is how I am treated. My family and I travel very frequently and book through Hotwire.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: June 12, 2018

Hotwire website purposely misleads Canadians by hiding the prices are in US except for tiny small print at the bottom. I bought $3000 worth of Air Canada and WestJet tickets. I am in Canada buying Air Canada flights. Hotwires response to not adequately identifying the US currency was - "they are a US company". They know they are doing this as a business strategy to entrap Canadians who might not expect a flight purchased in Canada on a Canadian airline was in US funds. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HOTWIRE!!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I went on Hotwire site, and they offered a 5 stars hotel in the area I wished to be. When I arrived to the hotel, I found out it’s a weird concept of a 5 stars: there was no lobby, no one to help with the luggage. The rooms were very dark, and if I wanted to turn off the lights at night, I would have to lose my A/C. When I tried to call them from there, they put me on hold forever, and upon my return home, they would take no responsibility. Hotwire is not to be trusted. They sell you a cat in bag, literally!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I just arrived for a 5 night stay at a hotel I booked through Hotwire. I have booked before through Hotwire and never had any issues. I am a single mom of 4 and booked a hotel knowing it would not be a 3 star or even a 4 star. This is a quick getaway and I am ok with that. The website offered court view or creek view rooms. I chose court view since the view didn't really matter. The site showed an ok looking hotel with outdoor and indoor pool. Room was equipped with a mini fridge but no microwave. I called the hotel to verify if the hotel had access to a microwave and was told yes in the lobby. Upon arrival today we were told we were in an older hotel they had acquired across a fairly busy street from the hotel shown on the website. The room looks as though it hasn't been updated in 30 years.

Beds are like springs, there is a pool on this side of the street but it honestly looks like milk. The bottom of the pool is not visible at all. My children has to cross a busy street in order to reach the other indoor or outdoor pool. This part of the hotel is honestly a dump! I spoke with the ladies at the desk who were very polite and they had no rooms in the hotel with pools. They suggested I call Hotwire. The customer service agent was absolutely one of the rudest people I have ever spoken to. No help at all! He would not listen to me and repeatedly cut me off. This has been the worst customer service I have ever encountered. I will never book through this company again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I booked a car on Feb 26, 2018 to be picked up June 10, 2018 for four days at the Fort Lauderdale airport in Florida from Hotwire. The car agent was Sixt car rentals. The price they charge to my credit card was $133.78. Today, June 6, 2018 I found out I could get the same car from Hotwire for $77.00. Hotwire refused to make a adjustment on my account and said all sales are final even though the price went down by $50.00. BEWARE OF HOTWIRE!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

I chose and booked a 4 star hotel on Hotwire and they proceeded to give me a 3 star hotel. I sent them the hotels advertising (see picture) that showed proof of them being a 3 star and still their customer service department did nothing about it. They refused to put me in a 4 star or refund my money. The where do not use this website they misrepresent hotels and their star rating Case number **.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I booked a so called deal with Hotwire, checked out all the hotels that were on offer and all looked nice so I went ahead and booked. Once I had the name of the hotel I started to research the area and what there was to do! It was then I found out the hotel is in such an awful area they actually lock their doors before 10pm as a safety procedure!!! I contacted Hotwire to inform them of this and ask to change to one of the other hotels but their response was awful, to say they couldn't care less is an understatement! The worst customer service I have ever come across! A lesson learnt for me, I certainly wouldn't book blind again and I certainly will not be using this awful company again.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I book through this website for 2 days at the Motel 6 in Oak Creek, WI... I didn't arrive on my check in date which was May 25-27... I arrived early morning on May 26th and upon my arrival I was inform by the hotel front desk clerk that my room was not available. Due to my day late check in I was charge a 40$ fee for a "NO SHOW"... Ok cool that's understandable to protect the customer who might didn't want to be charge for excess of 1 day due to whatever reason one person might encounter... AnyWho when I call Hotwire to receive a refund for my 2nd day I was told that it's nothing they could do even though the hotel cancel me out after day #1... So I feel the second day should automatically be refunded just because it's the right thing to do... PLEASE BEWARE OF Hotwire website on booking anything America because they are just out for your $$$$ with no courtesy...

Original review: May 26, 2018

I'm considering buying a car, and decided to rent a similar model for a week to evaluate it. I entered 'rent a ...' on the search engine and several options were presented. I chose Hotwire.com and was directed to their website. I set the rental car parameters, and the site pictured the very car I wanted. So I entered the required info, including my payment info. But when I received the confirmation (from Enterprise), it stated that I would get either the car pictured, or a similar car. Enterprise customer service confirmed that they could not guarantee me the car I thought I was renting (they promised me their best efforts and have been absolutely great to work with).

Since I had no interest in evaluating any cars other than the one I initially sought to rent, I decided to ask Hotwire to cancel the transaction. Even though I had made it less than an hour ago, they flatly refused. Their customer service rep and her supervisor merely repeated that it was non-cancellable. Yes, I should have read the fine print, and, yes, I agreed to their terms. Still, given the circumstances, I anticipated some latitude. Hotwire wasn't listening, however. Lesson learned!! I strongly recommend against using Hotwire, based on my unfortunate experience with them.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I booked a car rental through this company and decided to buy the insurance as well. The insurance is purchased through a third company and works with hotwire. It says once you purchase the insurance the company will contact you with the confirmation in an email. The next day of purchasing and getting charged from Hotwire I still had not received this email so I decided to call to find out where the policy was. I called Allianz and they said they could not find it and to call hotwire. I called hotwire who send me back to Allianz and so now Allianz cannot find me still in the system and so now I have to email them a statement saying that I got charged and wait a 72 hours until they find out.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I used Hotwire thinking that they could help me find a hotel just for one night, close to where I was in Fort Worth. I gave my zip code and said I had to have something very near to my location. Everyone knows that Hotwire uses a marketing scam of not giving the name of the hotel you are reserving, "because the prices are so low". I have never heard of a more bogus, outright lie in all my life, but I fell for it because it was 0100 in the morning and I was dying to get into a bed. Well, to my utter shock and dismay, when I found out the location of the hotel, it was 45 miles from my location.

I just could not believe it, in Irving, Texas. I drove the distance, went to the hotel, and was again shocked beyond belief to see the hotel that they said was a bargain for me. I went to look at the room and it smelled horrible, had old carpet, and was in one word, despicable. I went to the front desk and of course they refused to give me a refund; I did not want to battle it out with Hotwire at 0300 in the morning, so I found another hotel.

The next day, I called Hotwire, and their only response was, "We cannot guarantee the quality of any room that we reserve for a customer. Then I mentioned that the hotel was 45 miles away from the location I had specified, and they had no legitimate response. One female actually had the audacity, and sheer stupidity to say, "You stayed in the room, so it must have been ok". I am not sure where she got the information, I told her I did not stay in the room, and instead rented a room of much higher quality closer to my location.

They should be known as scammers, pure and simple. They like to lure in potential customers, having them think that a great deal is on the horizon, when they do their best to make sure the customer does not get a good deal, and does not meet their expectations. I have not used Hotwire since that time, and never will again. I tell everyone I know to avoid using that site and hopefully they will listen to my advice.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Needed to book a hotel for 2 nights for a concert I’m taking my daughter to out of state. After playing the Hotwire version of Russian roulette that chooses your mystery 4 star hotel. I went to the website of the hotel to find out I could have booked it myself for less w/o all these restrictions that Hotwire puts in reservations. The hotel price that Hotwire advertised was INFLATED and a lie... They should be liable for false advertising's. I called and “Edmar” said that I actually saved $3 because I entered a coupon code. What a joke. Let’s hope that when I at least go to use the reservation, it will actually be there. Stay Away From Hotwire.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I purchased an airline ticket through Hotwire. I paid the additional $50.00 for the so called insurance. The day before my travel I was going to check in online to find out I needed to purchase a seat but I paid $823.00 already through Hotwire. I called them and they said that I only purchased a one way ticket. Why would I spend that type of money for a one way ticket going to Dominica Republic? I don't live there. I'm visiting. I had to get an attorney involved to talk to their corporate office to get my money back. I will never ever do business with these slime balls and I will tell anyone else never do it.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I booked a hotel blindly like Hotwire makes you do to find out the hotel has horrible reviews. Know to have bedbugs, filthy, smells bad and all reviews say don’t go there. I called Hotwire to change hotel or get a refund and they refund. They said anyone can say they're dirty or have bedbugs. Doesn’t mean it’s true. I was on the phone over an hour, spoke to a supervisor and that was their answer. "No, we won’t change or cancel your reservation". I refuse to stay there so I’m out over $500. I will never use Hotwire again.

Original review: May 15, 2018

The most unethical and unprofessional company I have ever dealt with! I bought a car rental deal from these crooks - that was advertised with a really good price. It came with a condition that you cannot cancel the reservation which was ok with me. Arriving at the pickup counter I am being told that there is going to be an additional charge (to the one I have already purchased the deal) by the rental car company!? Hotwire and Dollar SCAMMING CUSTOMERS - BEWARE!

Original review: May 15, 2018

I purchased 2 flights to Tennessee (from RI) and 2 flights back home in March. I was finally going to visit my brother whom I have not seen in 30 years. I purchased the tickets from Hotwire, and purchased the insurance. The flights to Tennessee were cancelled due to a snowstorm. Hotwire refused to return the $270 for the return flights. The insurance claim was denied because I "Didn't purchase insurance that covers weather cancellations". The airline said Hotwire had the money. I called several times and explained that I had no control over the cancellations, and if I couldn't get there, I obviously wouldn't be able to use the flights home. They wouldn't budge. They kept my money. I will now have to save up to see my brother. I was so disappointed. I feel like Hotwire robbed me. Beware.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Beware of additional fees if renting a car through Hotwire! I rented a car for a week via Hotwire, charged amount was prepaid and final, undefined renal company, turned out to be Thrifty at SNA. Picked up the car, charged additional fee, for Concession fee, vehicle license fee, and tax. Says everyone pays this! On Hotwire Website there is no mention of additional unknown fees, Prices prepaid are not final!!

Original review: May 3, 2018

I ordered car service from 6/11-6/16. Within my week of booking I see that both hotwire.com and other competitors are significantly cheaper than what I bought. Examples are: Hotwire current = $141.32, Expediac= $134.00, Priceline = $123.20 all taxes included. I paid last week a total of $192.54. I called today and spoke to a total of 4 people. Two of the representatives were supervisors. Eric was the first supervisor I spoke to and before he hung up the phone with me he said "I am allowed to end this call because I already went through our policy."

My second experience with a supervisor was with MichaelAngelo, and he told me... "today is not your day, there is nothing we can do?". One time I was hung up on, and the last time I could tell they wrote in their "notes" do not help this customer because NO ONE would talk to me after. How is it that Hotwire can advertise price guarantee? It's such a scam! The level of customer service I received is outright horrible! It's 2018. I booked a reservation last week and within that week I was using a reservation I booked through Hotwire from 4/21-4/28. Sad to see a company rather sacrifice their customers than settle $60. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I booked a rental mini-van through Hotwire's "Hot Rates" to pick up our daughter from her college dorm and load up her furnishings and simply requested Hotwire change the pick up location from Gainesville FL to West Palm Beach where we live. I spoke with at least 5 or 6 Hotwire agents, all very nice, polite folks, all of whom said "no can do" - explaining it's a written policy and there's nothing they can do. SO FOLKS, BE VERY SURE if you book a special deal through Hotwire that nothing in your life NOT change in the meantime because they absolutely will not help or accommodate you in any way. Better yet, maybe book through a different site.

The very best rates I have found with no strings attached are through AAA Auto Club. For $30 per year membership fee you get all kinds of wonderful services too, including greatly discounted car rental, hotel rooms and airfares, not to mention flat tires fixed, batteries jump started, a can of gas if you run out, towing if your break down, etc. No brainer? Do yourself a favor - Try AAA.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I will never book from HOTWIRE again. I made a mistake of booking a hotel from Hotwire on the amount of 1000. the payment is required before we can see or know the name of the hotel (hidden info). Once the payment is done you can't change or ask for refund. If you like it or don't you have to take it. When I called to complaint the representative blame me and there is nothing they can do. Before booking they said it's 4 stars hotel, that's only info provided and we need to see the name of the hotel. After booking and paid we must to take it if we like it or not, we can't change or cancel. Hotel can't even be a star rated, very simple installation 2 floors building, To go to the room we need to walk on the street, Doors of the apart open to the yard and street, broken coffee maker. Very noisy we could not sleep because people walking on the second floor make a lot of noise on our ceiling.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I booked a reservation for San Diego on a Monday for a Friday check in with a Sunday checkout. I know I selected the proper date because I accidentally selected Thursday check in and had to fix it. Arrived at the hotel and they said they had expected me on Monday with a Tuesday checkout. Called Hotwire and they were completely unhelpful claiming I had confirmed that date for arrival. Interesting how they never sent me a confirmation email. I plan to fight the charges with my bank and will never use these crooks again. This by the way is the second time I had this happen.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I used to have a good experience renting cars from Hotwire. Today I made the mistake of placing a reservation although was changeable for $500 to find out it's nonrefundable which was somewhere in the fine print and totally unclear during the reservation process. Needless to say I will never be using Hotwire again and I will tell everyone I know what scam artists they are. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: April 25, 2018

My car rental from Advantage (through Hotwire website) was by far the WORST customer service experience in my 36 years of life. No matter how much cheaper they are, AVOID the hassle and scams they'll pull. We spent over an hour on a Friday night, waiting in line at the counter for a car and no explanation/apology was provided. We missed dinner with my girlfriend's parents and it was embarrassing having to admit it was due to my trying to save money by renting from them. At one point they had customers running up to the 4th floor to later tell them to run back down to the 3rd and wait some more (total chaos).

Now I'm being charged $56 for a single plate-by-toll use when it should of been $30.50 (they said it'd only be $26 plus the cost of the toll, $2.50 service charge + $2 toll). Now I've ended up paying more for this horrendous service than if I'd rented from a reputable company. I called Hotwire to explain what happened but after a 20 minute call, the only thing they could offer was a cancellation of my reservation which would of been impossible finding another car at 11 pm on the Friday before Spring break started.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My plans to come home to Pittsburgh for the weekend got moved back a week. I sure didn't know their deals were a no refund and no changes. Guess I got ripped for 120.00. They say I should have read the fine print. Sorry to know that a company actually operates this way. Sorry it cost me cash. Their operators don't speak English very well and only know scripts. I'm old and feel good about not having this issue ever before. I am usually very thorough, but got taken this time. I realize my needs changed, but I have rented many times and did not realize that they don't follow normal car rental protocol.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I called the Westin Hotel to see which bed type they had chosen for me, only to learn they did not receive any information from Hotwire about my reservation. To think, that if I had never called ahead of time, I would be furious at the time of my arrival to learn that my reservation never went through, even though I was already charged. It took several attempts of calling all 3 of your customer service numbers to finally speak to an actual human. I had to call Allianz Global and beg them to connect me with a human at Hotwire.

After telling the representative from Hotwire my problem, she could not figure out what happened with my reservation. She apologized but suggested it was the fault of the hotel instead of Hotwire. Honestly, I don't care whose fault it was that my reservation was never sent over. I'm glad it was resolved, but am extremely dissatisfied that it took all day to have this issue resolved from the moment I tried to call the first customer service number, up until I finally got a call back from a Hotwire specialist. I was excited to use Hotwire, as your prices are very low and it was exciting not knowing which hotel I would get until I booked, but all this experience has taught me, is that you get what you pay for. I will never use this booking method again.

It is not your customer's job to confirm a reservation with the hotel they booked through your site. That is the responsibility of the third party booking company. So thanks for wasting my time, stressing me out, and never really explaining what went wrong, or offering any extra accommodations for having to deal with this huge inconvenience.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I rented a car on April 2nd for April 3rd and realized after booking it, it was booked on the 12th an incorrect day. I called the 1800 customer service line immediately (less than 15 minutes). The man on the phone said, "No problem, we will cancel that for you and rebook the right day." Shock it was not canceled and is still showing as reserved for April 12th 2018. I called back today explaining the situation to the customer service agent. After hanging up on me three times and extended wait periods they said they cannot help me since they can't find the notes. This company is a fraud and they do not value their customers. DO NOT RENT FROM HOTWIRE EVER!

Hotwire.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotwire is a San Francisco-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates on a wide range of services, including flights, car rentals and hotel rooms.

• Bundled services: Hotwire lets customers bundle travel services to get discounts.

• Partners: Hotwire partners with several other travel businesses, including Expedia and Hotels.com to access more deals.

• Mobile app: The iOS mobile app lets customers use Apple Pay.

• Last-minute deals: Hotwire publishes steep discounts from hotels that want to fill rooms at the last minute.

• Cancellations: Hotwire accepts cancellations for rooms at most hotels.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs