2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Hotwire

Hotwire
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

Hotwire is a travel and vacation website that offers deeply discounted deals on hotels, car rentals, flights and more. With Hotwire, you can book deals directly from the site or through the company’s app.

BOTTOM LINE

Hotwire sells hotel rooms, car rentals, flights and vacation packages that might otherwise go unsold for discounted rates. It partners with many major companies to provide a variety of options.

PROS

• Deals in many categories
  • Easy to book online or with app
  • Significantly discounted rates

CONS

• No cancellations
  • Doesn’t show hotel name until booked

Top Hotwire Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

I reserved a hotel room using the hot rate tool, which gives you an undisclosed hotel in a certain star range for a very good price. ... When I arrived at my hotel this time, there was a safety issue that worried me… They rebooked the room to a different hotel no questions asked…

Hotwire gives best deals and details and handles issues much faster than others. They give you area comparisons and options to add to your trip like rental car and outings. The deals are always top notch as well.

What is Hotwire?

Hotwire finds hotel rooms, rental cars and vacation packages at deeply discounted rates. Travelers can look up travel information on the website or the mobile app and access 24/7 customer service.

The company advertises the ability to connect you with four-star hotels at two-star prices, and it partners with leaders in the travel industry, such as Hilton, Hyatt and most major car rental companies and airlines.

How does Hotwire work?

You can use Hotwire to search for flights, hotel accommodations, rental cars and vacation experiences. You will not see the hotel's name until you book your stay — this is what allows Hotwire to offer such deep discounts.

Hotwire gives you other information about the hotel, such as the star rating, customer reviews, the city where it's located, an area map and sometimes even a detailed description of the local neighborhood and a list of local landmarks.

Hotwire has an easy-to-use filter option so you can narrow down your search by location and date.

Hotels
Enter your destination, check-in date, check-out date and how many guests will be traveling to have Hotwire show you a list of hotels in the area, their discounted rates, their Expedia reviews and other basic info. No names or addresses are included.

You can filter your search by hotel class, price range, amenities, guest rating and the general area. Before you book, you’ll see the base rate, your dates and additional fees. Once you book, the sale is final and you receive the name of the hotel, the address and other specifics.

Car rental
Booking a rental car on Hotwire works much like booking a hotel. You enter your dates and pickup and dropoff location. Hotwire lets you choose your preferred car type and set your budget before presenting a list of rental cars at discounted rates.
Flights
When you’re booking flights, Hotwire tells you the name of the airline you’ll be flying with. It also gives you flight details such as change fees and the number of layovers.
Vacation experiences
When you book a vacation package with Hotwire, you have the option to bundle your hotel, car and flight.

Hotwire prices

While Hotwire strives to give you the best vacation experiences at low prices, there are a few other fees to consider before booking. Before you confirm your purchase, Hotwire shows you a breakdown of your purchase, including the base rate and its “tax recovery charges and fees.” These fees vary based on the hotel that you're assigned.

It's also important to remember that some hotels have additional costs, such as parking, resort fees and convention fees. These charges typically aren't listed as part of the booking process, and travelers pay these extra fees with the hotel company directly.

Travelers can save more money with Hotwire by downloading the app and taking advantage of last-minute travel deals.

Hotwire FAQ

Who owns Hotwire?
Expedia Group owns Hotwire.
How do I get a refund from Hotwire?
All tickets and purchases through Hotwire are final and will not be refunded. All changes and cancellations must be made through the hotel, car rental company or airline.
How does Hotwire work for hotels?
Travelers enter their trip information into the search, and Hotwire produces a list of discounted rates available for that time. Customers do not know the name of the hotel until they make a reservation, but they do receive information about the hotel’s rating, location and customer reviews.
Does Hotwire have promo codes?
Yes. Customers can receive promo codes when they sign up to receive emails from Hotwire.

Is Hotwire legit?

Hotwire is a reputable travel company that is recognized across the globe for providing valid and discounted travel accommodations. It is owned by Expedia Group, another trusted and well-established leader in the travel industry. Some people may not like not knowing the name of the hotel they’re staying at until making a reservation, but Hotwire is worth checking out if your primary goal is keeping costs down when traveling.

Hotwire Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I booked a car rental through Hotwire and due to the Covid (crap), our flight times were changed. I tried to modify our pick up and drop off times (less than 4 hours difference) and they (Hotwire and National Car Rental) wouldn't help out. Due to unprecedented times we are in, I feel they should be more flexible. The flight time change was not my doing. Now they want me to sit at the airport for 3 hours to wait for my rental car. No thanks. I'll eat the money and rent from someone else that is more understanding. I will never rent from National or book with Hotwire again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I honestly can't say enough bad things about this experience. A normal standard of renting cars through any website and any company is to have the ability to drive between states. When my friend and I rented this car we were NEVER informed that part of the deal would be that we could not leave the state of Colorado. We INTENTIONALLY did a Denver-Denver reservation because we thought that made things easier for rental companies and it would be less complex.

It was not until we got to the rental agency - Ace Rent-A-Car - and had a discussion about the toll options offered that we realized that would be something we would need to figure out, but whatever it was what it was. HOWEVER, it was not until a few days later during our first week of a 7-week western road-trip that we were exploring options for the toll plan to see if we could do the drives without hitting tolls that we found a tiny contingence that said we could not leave the state.

At first, we tried using Hotwire's online helping agent who could not have been more dismissive and less helpful saying it was all contingent upon the policies agreed upon between us and Ace Rental Cars. After spending 4 hours cumulatively trying to get through to Ace agents and, eventually, a manager there, we were informed that Hotwire held the money from Ace and that Ace would adjust the reservation to enable us to drive out of state. Following this, we called Ace directly and spent another hour cumulatively with an agent and a manager who had nothing to say besides, "I hear you sir, but there is nothing we can do." At the end of the day, there were many things they could have done, they just were not willing.

Considering all the non-refundable bookings we had in other states, all we were asking for was for them to be flexible with the policy, a new car through a different agency, or a partial refund as we would have to rent a new car -- which was what we eventually had to do. Hotwire was unwilling to do anything besides continue to reject us and eventually hung up on us -- this was without a doubt the worst customer service experience I have ever had and left me with a lower opinion of the capability of human beings to be sympathetic period.

I never leave these reviews but I had to leave this because I will never, ever, ever forget it and I hope just one person sees this and rents anything through ANY OTHER AGENCY. We ended up getting a different car through another agency who laughed at us for asking if we could take it out of state and even when out of their way to inform us we would get our money back if we returned early, which we ended up doing with this useless car. Hotwire -- you are the worst company ever.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I booked a car rental for my disabled husbands trip to Alabama to see his dying mother. His license expired on his birthday and due to Covid we had to renew online. He was sent a temporary license valid thru Dec. 2020 which I took a photo of on his phone. We did not receive any paperwork but his license is valid, which was the requirement. Upon his arrival to pickup his car they refused to accept his valid license and did not let him have the car I paid for. Hotwire refused to refund stating it's their policy that you cannot cancel. We did not cancel and I believe they should refund the fees since it was no fault of ours that we could not get the paid for car. I spoke to two line customer service reps and two supervisors and one hung up and the other said I told you our policy and we can't help you. I asked for contact information to corporate and they refused to provide it. I will never use this company again and I will tell every person that they are crooks.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Don't do it! I have used this company for years. For some reason this company is not performing as normal. I made reservations for a 3.5 star hotel. The actual hotel I received was more like 1 stars. The hotel had ZERO amenities that were listed. The staff was extremely unprofessional I witness 3 arguments between staff members alone on my short stay. The heaters did not work so rooms were freezing cold. Only one ice machine worked in a building with well over 200 rooms & the ice machine was on the 6th floor.

I contacted Hotwire about this issue and they claim there was nothing they could do about it. I spoke to a supervisor & she stated she could give me a $40 credit. She stated verbatim out of her mouth if hotwire gives me the same hotel she can transfer me to another hotel if I give them a call back. She explained that she would put this in my concern account notes.

I made an additional one night reservation through Hotwire with my $40 credit & received the same raggedy hotel. I called Hotwire as the supervisor told me. Hotwire acted as if I was lying and told me that they don't have an employee by that name or badge number given to me. Offered no solution. I'm sure they can pull up recorded phone messages but did not do so.

In addition to this upon check out this hotel charged me additional $40. For no reason at all! I am so done with this company! I advise any others to STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE FROM THIS COMPANY AND ANY COMPANY AFFILIATED WITH THEM. I'm sure in no time they will be out of business because of the way they handle customer service issues.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

Purchased a package deal with insurance in Feb. 2020 but due to covid we had to cancel. Called and got refund for hotel but was told airlines (two different airline) would only give refund if they changed the flight schedule. Delta changed and we were issues a parcel refund. American has changed the flight and I can't get anyone from Hotwire to talk to to find out about refunds. You call the number and someone from Expedia picks up and can't help. I have call 7 different numbers and all go to someone from Expedia and if they transfer you someone else from Expedia picks up. I have call approx. 16 times in the last two days. Spent well over 4 hrs on hold time. Will never use this company again.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I made a reservation for a hotel with today's date and my travel plans would be for the month of October and then I called in few minutes the customer service department to inform me of my error and asked you to correct my travel date. I DID NOT WANT TO CANCEL THE RESERVATION. I was informed that the reservation could only be canceled and the date of the reservation not corrected and the amount of $ 20 USD would still be deducted from my payment. How I need to buy again with less $20 dollars?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

Booked trip, Covid hit, they kept my money, I don’t deal with cheaters....the flight was cancelled but still they did not reimburse me. The airline wasn’t paid, so where did my money go? Had same issue for room reservation from Turkish based hotel.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Beware of Hotwire!!!! If you purchase the hotwire deal expect them to take your money even if your travel will be cancelled due to COVID. The fall is coming and Covid cases are on the rise. We were ripped off by Hotwire who refused to even accommodate us for a credit toward a future booking. We booked a car rental in January 2020, prior to the pandemic. We were informed we could not travel to Florida. Airlines credited, condo refunded and Hotwire claimed it was Sixth Car rental policy that refused to refund and therefore there was nothing they could do. Sixth car rental on the other hand stated in an email that since we booked with hotwire, it was up to them to refund our money. Hotwire refused.

I am saving all my phone documentation and emails and waiting for a class action lawsuit against Hotwire for their dishonest and deceiving practice of not trying to do the right thing and stand behind the consumer. They found a loophole to steal thousands of dollars from decent folk. Would wonder...if the car rental agency burned down the day before we arrived to pick up a car rental, would hotwire refund or keep the consumers' money? It was the pandemic that caused us not to travel and not because we cancelled. Shame on Hotwire for stealing our hard earned money!!! Says a lot about this companies reputation.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I have been a customer of Hotwire for many years. Typically, I book one of their Hot Rates get a good deal and use the reservation. This June with COVID going on I was reluctant to make a reservation with all the uncertainty. Hotwire was advertising that because of COVID they were allowing cancellations. So, I went ahead and booked. My plans changed so I went to their website and cancelled. Message said it could take up to 30 days to process cancellation. I received an email 60 days later denying my cancellation request.

I can't get a clear answer as to why, other than my request was denied. Here's the language that was on my receipt. Cancellation: All new Hot Rate® Hotel bookings made from March 20 – June 15, 2020, with travel starting on or before June 15, 2020 are eligible for free cancellation. Cancellations or changes can be made up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date. My reservation was for June 13, 2020. I followed the instructions to cancel. Have called several times and they have not really provided an explanation other than it was denied. Customer Service is awful. Be aware of booking with Hotwire.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

We had an 14-day car rental beginning with our arrival in Spokane, WA late on a Saturday evening. On Friday morning, my husband and I agreed that we should call our pediatrician to run our son's symptoms by them and see if a COVID test was warranted. Long story short: a COVID test was ordered after a phone screening and we were able to have it done that same day. The estimated turnaround time was 72 hours. We gave it as much time as we could the next day before we were scheduled to fly, but when the result didn't come we felt that it would be wrong to travel with the possibility that our son was carrying COVID.

Alaska Airlines was AMAZING and rescheduled us without penalty or even making us pay the increased fare for flying a different day. Hotwire, however, stiffed us. They appear to have no refund/cancellation policy tailored to the COVID situation. They communicated as though they have no understanding of the situation at all. We explained the common sense decision we made, and they wanted to know if I (as the one whose name was on the reservation) was unable to travel. No, of course not. (facepalm here)

When we had it, we sent them (via chat) a copy of my son's test result showing that the test was done before travel and the result came after we would have departed. It had the name of the medical institution that ordered and performed the test. Unacceptable. It must be a letter on doctor's letterhead saying that my son was "under a doctor's care" and "unable to travel" during the dates of our reservation. That's impossible: no one was "treating" our son and he was not "unable to travel". How is it not clear to them that the situation was not fabricated and that in the midst of a worldwide pandemic we made the obvious right decision to delay travel until we knew for certain my son was negative????

We will NEVER book through Hotwire again. We've spent many hours on the phone with them, gone as high as we can go, written an articulate letter to them describing every detail of the situation and expressing our feelings, and we feel confident no-one outside of India will ever read it. This is WRONG. When I read here that Hotwire has treated others in similar pandemic-induced situations similarly, I can only conclude that rather than struggle doing the right thing as other businesses are doing, they are profiting and literally STEALING money from people who are receiving no service whatsoever from them. We are a single-income family and a $900 donation to a heartless corporation is no drop in the bucket. I am sickened by their performance in this situation and deeply disappointed in their lack of humanity.

Hotwire Company Information