Hotwire

Hotwire

3.9/5 (630 ratings)

About Hotwire

Hotwire is a travel and vacation website that offers deeply discounted deals on hotels, car rentals, flights and more. With Hotwire, you can book deals directly from the site or through the company’s app.

Pros

• Deals in many categories
  • Easy to book online or with app
  • Significantly discounted rates

Cons

• No cancellations
  • Doesn’t show hotel name until booked

Bottom Line

Hotwire sells hotel rooms, car rentals, flights and vacation packages that might otherwise go unsold for discounted rates. It partners with many major companies to provide a variety of options.

Top Hotwire Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Verified

I reserved a hotel room using the hot rate tool, which gives you an undisclosed hotel in a certain star range for a very good price. ... When I arrived at my hotel this time, ther...

Verified

Hotwire gives best deals and details and handles issues much faster than others. They give you area comparisons and options to add to your trip like rental car and outings. The de...

What is Hotwire?

Hotwire finds hotel rooms, rental cars and vacation packages at deeply discounted rates. Travelers can look up travel information on the website or the mobile app and access 24/7 customer service.

The company advertises the ability to connect you with four-star hotels at two-star prices, and it partners with leaders in the travel industry, such as Hilton, Hyatt and most major car rental companies and airlines.

How does Hotwire work?

You can use Hotwire to search for flights, hotel accommodations, rental cars and vacation experiences. You will not see the hotel's name until you book your stay — this is what allows Hotwire to offer such deep discounts.

Hotwire gives you other information about the hotel, such as the star rating, customer reviews, the city where it's located, an area map and sometimes even a detailed description of the local neighborhood and a list of local landmarks.

Hotwire has an easy-to-use filter option so you can narrow down your search by location and date.

Hotels
Enter your destination, check-in date, check-out date and how many guests will be traveling to have Hotwire show you a list of hotels in the area, their discounted rates, their Expedia reviews and other basic info. No names or addresses are included.

You can filter your search by hotel class, price range, amenities, guest rating and the general area. Before you book, you’ll see the base rate, your dates and additional fees. Once you book, the sale is final and you receive the name of the hotel, the address and other specifics.

Car rental
Booking a rental car on Hotwire works much like booking a hotel. You enter your dates and pickup and dropoff location. Hotwire lets you choose your preferred car type and set your budget before presenting a list of rental cars at discounted rates.
Flights
When you’re booking flights, Hotwire tells you the name of the airline you’ll be flying with. It also gives you flight details such as change fees and the number of layovers.
Vacation experiences
When you book a vacation package with Hotwire, you have the option to bundle your hotel, car and flight.

Hotwire prices

While Hotwire strives to give you the best vacation experiences at low prices, there are a few other fees to consider before booking. Before you confirm your purchase, Hotwire shows you a breakdown of your purchase, including the base rate and its “tax recovery charges and fees.” These fees vary based on the hotel that you're assigned.

It's also important to remember that some hotels have additional costs, such as parking, resort fees and convention fees. These charges typically aren't listed as part of the booking process, and travelers pay these extra fees with the hotel company directly.

Travelers can save more money with Hotwire by downloading the app and taking advantage of last-minute travel deals.

Hotwire FAQ

Who owns Hotwire?
Expedia Group owns Hotwire.
How do I get a refund from Hotwire?
All tickets and purchases through Hotwire are final and will not be refunded. All changes and cancellations must be made through the hotel, car rental company or airline.
How does Hotwire work for hotels?
Travelers enter their trip information into the search, and Hotwire produces a list of discounted rates available for that time. Customers do not know the name of the hotel until they make a reservation, but they do receive information about the hotel’s rating, location and customer reviews.
Does Hotwire have promo codes?
Yes. Customers can receive promo codes when they sign up to receive emails from Hotwire.

Is Hotwire legit?

Hotwire is a reputable travel company that is recognized across the globe for providing valid and discounted travel accommodations. It is owned by Expedia Group, another trusted and well-established leader in the travel industry. Some people may not like not knowing the name of the hotel they’re staying at until making a reservation, but Hotwire is worth checking out if your primary goal is keeping costs down when traveling.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I booked a room online in the app. I got my confirmation# and my itinerary#. Since we were coming in late I decided to call the hotel to see what the rules were for late arrival. The hotel tells me that they are fully booked and they don’t have my reservation. The front desk clerk informed me that the 3rd party site already knew that the hotel was booked but keeps booking customers anyway. I called Hotwire they claimed they would get me another room after chatting back and forth for an hour they offered me a room that was not even close to where we needed to be, had less stars( the room I booked was 3.5 stars), and cost more. I told them I’m not settling or paying for something I’m not comfortable with.

They then offered me a refund but of course it will take a week to go back to my card they After no substitute room could be agreed on they issued me the refund. They then offered to let me book again and get a room with more stars but of course I was going to have to pay for that after I was already out $242. Having spent at this point almost 2 hours on the chat and they have to audacity to basically tell me that they have room in my area but I have to pay again instead of just switch and maybe charging a little more or as a curtsy just switching me when this is totally hands down there fault. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! This experience was the worst and we had to cancel. We couldn’t afford to pay for another room and pay for the other things needed for the trip while we wait five days for a refund. The kids were so hurt. Daycation ruined!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

With all the cancelations going on with air travel, you do NOT want to use Hotwire. They use their own credit card to place your reservation, so refunds are sent to THEM and they REFUSE to give the money back. Instead sending you in a circle with the airline company which will just keep telling you they have already refunded the money!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

I have used Hotwire to purchase airplane tickets without much issue in the past. Recently I purchased an airplane ticket, which then I decided to cancel because of a change of circumstances. Hotwire advertises free cancellations within a 24 hour period. There was no option to cancel my ticket online, so I called customer service. Hotwire customer service refused to help me cancel my reservation within the 24 hour cancellation window. They repeatedly transferred me to different people (some who were not even affiliated with hotwire, like Expedia) until the 24 hour cancellation window had passed and then said that it was too late to cancel!

They advertised free cancellation within 24 hours of purchase, but then refused to help me cancel! I called 3 times and was on the phone for over an hour each time without getting the assistance that I needed. Finally, after my husband called them, they agreed to issue a credit that has to be used by me with the same airline within one year. I don't understand why I had to have my husband call in order be able to get any kind of service! I will never use hotwire again.

In addition, I do not have any plans to fly with the same airline this year, which means that I stand to lose these funds completely. I tried calling multiple times to cancel this ticket within 24 hours of purchase and they just messed around with me but continuously transferring and refusing to let me speak to a manager, until it was too late. I have never experienced anything like that in my life.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

Don’t believe a word about a hotel on a Hotwire website! And if you try to write a review on the hotwire.com website, you messages that you have included text that is not allowed. There is no way to find out which text you should remove. It took 1 hour and 40 minutes for me to get into my room. In the first room, I could smell the mold at the door. The second room was the SAME room, shown to me by a different agent. When I told him that I had been to that room before, he offered no apology. We set off to the third room but the Agent could not find the room. I settled for the fourth room. The Front Desk agent could not tell me whether breakfast was included in my reservation.

In the fourth room, there were no clothes hangers. The phone did not work, nor did the Internet work. The toilet seat wobbled out of place by 6 inches. The toilet bowl had a 10” by 1” black vertical stain. The base of the bowl was covered by a circular 4” stain. For two days, I had to ask for Housekeeping to come and clean my room. Although the Hotwire description states that there is a fitness center and a self-laundry, they do not exist there. I complained in writing to the Head Office and I was finally moved to a real room.

At checkout, the Agent attempted to overcharge me by 43,000TZS/18.45USD. Prior to checking in, I had contacted the Head Office to find out what the checkout charges would be. I insisted that the Agent call the Supervisor. She confirmed that I needed to pay only 16,450TZS—daily resort fees. Again, no apology. According to Hotwire, this hotel is comparable to the Hyatt! Apart from the karma of false advertising, where are the laws to protect consumers? Zanzibar Beach Resort and Hotwire were just disastrous! No consumer should have to contend with lies and incompetence!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

Beware of Hotwire's prepaid car rentals, they can keep your money and not provide a car if you are delayed in picking it up with 24 hours. Due to flight delays and rental car shuttle delays I was late getting to the rental car center and the car rental agency from which I had the prepaid car was closed (3PM on a Saturday). All others were open. I went to pick up my car on Sunday but it was over 24 hours after my Saturday pick up time so they refused to provide a car. Hotwire notes that reservations are only valid for 24 hours, but they do not say you will also lose all your money for the week long car rental.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I purchased a 4 star hotel and I was booked in a 3 star hotel the last 2 times. I might do a little more research next time as far as the surrounding hotels and the price I can get direct. Just book way in advance then you can get a deal directly I suspect.

Original review: July 27, 2022

Stay away from this website. It is like a lottery, they show you potential hotels you can stay at a cheaper rate than you typically find in other online travel websites. You are supposed to get one in the list but we got a horrible hotel not listed in the options, one star below and with 2.3 star reviews. A second time, they advertise a bed setting that was not offered by the hotel. The hotel did not want to give us the bedroom we paid for on the Hotwire page. Neither the hotel nor Hotwire returned the money, because Hotwire sale is final, non-refundable. This is too much risk for $10 less than regular more reliable online travel websites, just stay away.

Original review: July 21, 2022

I have many proof, How I was scammed with "HOTWIRE" hotel and Car rental booking. 2 time. First time when I booked the side saying mileage policy variable by car rental company policy. They don't mentioned How many Mileage. Once you booked they give you 400 -800 mileage then $.24 per Km. They don't mentioned How many mileage until not booked. Second time, HOTWIRE reservation is garbage or useless for car company. I booked I went to pick car. Car company say They booked too cheap. We can not give you car on that price. They cancel right away. My trip was planned so there was no choice. I had to give more price to direct car rental company. Please do not trust on "HOTWIRE" booking No hotel or Car rental respect this kind of scam base, so called "Booking Platform". Thanks

Original review: July 18, 2022

Updated on 07/20/2022: I'm still waiting for reschedule my rental car date, I don't want refund.

Original: Hello everyone, My name is Javier and I wanted to share one of the worst customer service experiences of this company. I booked a car on the web to pick up at the Amsterdam Airport on July 15 and return it on the 16, I was arriving from Madrid on the 15 in the morning and I had to go to the Hertz desk. My surprise is that on Thursday the 14th I felt bad, and I took a covid test and the result was positive the next day, I called KLM and they changed my plane flight through the test as proof. Then I tried to contact Hertz and they told me that I should contact Hotwire.

I called twice and no one answered the phone, most likely because the time difference with Europe is wide, and I decided to send an email to the address HotwireBookingConfirmationXe.hotwire.com which is where I had my confirmation and that nowhere in the email notifies you that it is an automatic email or nowhere does it notify you that it cannot be replicated like other emails from other websites that put NOREPLY clearly says. Obviously, no one answered me and today I expected someone to do so and nothing. Finally, through the chat I was able to contact someone, and they told me that I had already lost my 175 euros for one day's rent for no show. How is it possible that, having notified them by mail, sending the positive covid test and knowing that it is not my fault, they are not able to send me a voucher or rent the car again for next week, as KLM has shown me? They have excellent customer service by the way.

My confirmation number is Hotwire itinerary # **, above all to show that I'm not lying. Please do not buy anything with this web page, which from what I am seeing on the internet has a very bad reputation for customer service, I will certainly never from Europe to buy anything with them. Please share it and thus we avoid more deceptions/frauds of this web. Right now that covid is still active, this type of problem will happen to more people and we need companies that, in addition to raising prices, care more about customers in this case than because of covid they are unable to fly or do other things. I repeat, I did everything in my power and nothing, nobody from the company wants to help me.

Javier

Original review: July 12, 2022

Booked an Econolodge in Scranton for an absurd $120 for one night. The hotel reeked of smoke, there was ash on the floor, the sink had hair in it, the wallpaper was peeling off, and it was so filthy we couldn't stay the night. Everyone in my family has asthma, plus it was 3am and we're all young woman, so our priority was finding a safe place to stay for the night. We found another hotel and when I spoke to Hotwire, they refused to refund because I didn't let the hotel know (there was no one at front desk) and I didn't call Hotwire during my stay (as I was trying to find another place to stay in the middle of the night). Customers' health and safety is NOT a priority for them and their listings are misadvertised and frankly will put people in danger.

Hotwire Company Information