Hotwire

Hotwire

2.6/5 (243 ratings)

About Hotwire

Hotwire is a travel and vacation website that offers deeply discounted deals on hotels, car rentals, flights and more. With Hotwire, you can book deals directly from the site or through the company’s app.

Pros

• Deals in many categories
  • Easy to book online or with app
  • Significantly discounted rates

Cons

• No cancellations
  • Doesn’t show hotel name until booked

Bottom Line

Hotwire sells hotel rooms, car rentals, flights and vacation packages that might otherwise go unsold for discounted rates. It partners with many major companies to provide a variety of options.

Top Hotwire Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Verified

I reserved a hotel room using the hot rate tool, which gives you an undisclosed hotel in a certain star range for a very good price. ... When I arrived at my hotel this time, ther...

Verified

Hotwire gives best deals and details and handles issues much faster than others. They give you area comparisons and options to add to your trip like rental car and outings. The de...

What is Hotwire?

Hotwire finds hotel rooms, rental cars and vacation packages at deeply discounted rates. Travelers can look up travel information on the website or the mobile app and access 24/7 customer service.

The company advertises the ability to connect you with four-star hotels at two-star prices, and it partners with leaders in the travel industry, such as Hilton, Hyatt and most major car rental companies and airlines.

How does Hotwire work?

You can use Hotwire to search for flights, hotel accommodations, rental cars and vacation experiences. You will not see the hotel's name until you book your stay — this is what allows Hotwire to offer such deep discounts.

Hotwire gives you other information about the hotel, such as the star rating, customer reviews, the city where it's located, an area map and sometimes even a detailed description of the local neighborhood and a list of local landmarks.

Hotwire has an easy-to-use filter option so you can narrow down your search by location and date.

Hotels
Enter your destination, check-in date, check-out date and how many guests will be traveling to have Hotwire show you a list of hotels in the area, their discounted rates, their Expedia reviews and other basic info. No names or addresses are included.

You can filter your search by hotel class, price range, amenities, guest rating and the general area. Before you book, you’ll see the base rate, your dates and additional fees. Once you book, the sale is final and you receive the name of the hotel, the address and other specifics.

Car rental
Booking a rental car on Hotwire works much like booking a hotel. You enter your dates and pickup and dropoff location. Hotwire lets you choose your preferred car type and set your budget before presenting a list of rental cars at discounted rates.
Flights
When you’re booking flights, Hotwire tells you the name of the airline you’ll be flying with. It also gives you flight details such as change fees and the number of layovers.
Vacation experiences
When you book a vacation package with Hotwire, you have the option to bundle your hotel, car and flight.

Hotwire prices

While Hotwire strives to give you the best vacation experiences at low prices, there are a few other fees to consider before booking. Before you confirm your purchase, Hotwire shows you a breakdown of your purchase, including the base rate and its “tax recovery charges and fees.” These fees vary based on the hotel that you're assigned.

It's also important to remember that some hotels have additional costs, such as parking, resort fees and convention fees. These charges typically aren't listed as part of the booking process, and travelers pay these extra fees with the hotel company directly.

Travelers can save more money with Hotwire by downloading the app and taking advantage of last-minute travel deals.

Hotwire FAQ

Who owns Hotwire?
Expedia Group owns Hotwire.
How do I get a refund from Hotwire?
All tickets and purchases through Hotwire are final and will not be refunded. All changes and cancellations must be made through the hotel, car rental company or airline.
How does Hotwire work for hotels?
Travelers enter their trip information into the search, and Hotwire produces a list of discounted rates available for that time. Customers do not know the name of the hotel until they make a reservation, but they do receive information about the hotel’s rating, location and customer reviews.
Does Hotwire have promo codes?
Yes. Customers can receive promo codes when they sign up to receive emails from Hotwire.

Is Hotwire legit?

Hotwire is a reputable travel company that is recognized across the globe for providing valid and discounted travel accommodations. It is owned by Expedia Group, another trusted and well-established leader in the travel industry. Some people may not like not knowing the name of the hotel they’re staying at until making a reservation, but Hotwire is worth checking out if your primary goal is keeping costs down when traveling.

Hotwire Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: May 15, 2022

I booked a reservation through third party, the motel canceled reservation. I didn’t have deposit. Ready promised refund from property in person to no avail. Denied on both ends. Wouldn’t recommend Hotwire ever again.

Original review: May 7, 2022

I booked hotel flights and a rental car, there was an error in the dates of the vehicle and they did not match the booking of the flight and the hotel. The vehicle was not taken and Hot Wires were not ready to give a refund. I am a returning customer but will not book through them again without a refund,

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I used the "Get one of these hotels" thing and knew it was going to be the cheapest of the three, but I didn't know what kind of hellhole they were booking me into. After I got my "Hot Deal" I went and read the reviews. The hotel is NASTY. People complained of blood stains, and horrible smells. The beds were the only things that were considered clean. Even the hall ways are disgusting, and the most recent review stated they would never stay there again, and they were only staying overnight. IN short, the Hot Deal is a way to pass off crappy hotels, and nothing more. Do not fall for it. I am just going to eat the loss as this "Hot Deal" is so good it can't be refunded. If this is how they conduct this part of the service. I will pass on all their services, and would suggest you do as well.

Original review: April 17, 2022

Apparently I called 5 1/2 hours too late to change my dates, as we made a mistake in the booking. We were told there is nothing they can do about it. We still wanted the reservation and to pay for it. We just wanted to fix the dates when we realized we put it in wrong. Nope, you have to eat the whole thing and there is nothing they can do. So go pay for it again. Clearly not through Hotwire. We will never ever use this ripoff company again. Be warned, to call whatever you are booking directly. Hotwire will keep your money no matter the circumstances.

Original review: April 16, 2022

I made a reservation for car rental through Hotwire. I just tried to cancel within 1 minute of the reservation after came to know about hidden charges of taxes and fee. I wanted to cancel my reservation as taxes and fee are more than rental price. I called them to explain the fee but they were not able to explain. I called again to know about these charges and I came to know that they are collecting fee in name of government tax. Hotwire said I can’t get my refund once I paid. I would have given Zero star for this company but there is no option for zero here.

Original review: April 1, 2022

I booked with Hotwire trying to find decent priced flights and I paid for the insurance as well because I have a surgery coming up and wasn’t sure if I needed to reschedule. I called Hotwire to cancel my flights and I literally was given the run around, I spent over an hour on the phone just to be bounced around and be on hold. While on hold I also tried to use the chat option and I got Jahz, I was told I could not be helped and to call the line I was on hold with at the time. I spoke to a total of 5 reps that fed me the same story and got nowhere, I never got anyone to assist me as they hung up on me. This is not professional and not how you treat paying customers at all! My next move will be going higher and involving my lawyer if this is not resolved. Just book through the actual company, don’t go through a third party like Hotwire, it’s literally a waste of time.

Original review: March 17, 2022

I got to the hotel I reserved through this app after 10 hours drive to find no reservation even though I had a confirmation number from HotWire, and I fully paid. I had to find another accommodation, and I received no help from customer service.

Original review: March 7, 2022

Writing to get refund on my Hotel booking as was promised by Hotwire representative. Hotwire ticket # ** Case id **. On Feb 20 I called Hotwire customer service within 24 hours of booking my hotel to cancel reservation as wrong location was selected. I was suggested of two options. Option 1 Hotwire would try to contact Hotel and get full refund. Option 2 was that 40 dollars would be placed in my Hotwire account and remainder $234.80 would be refunded to my credit card. On Feb 25 when I called I was suggested by Hotwire representative that Hotel was successfully cancelled and I would be refunded full amount after few days. I called Hotwire representative again on Mar 5th to find out that instead I was refunded 0 dollars and $234.80 was placed in my Hotwire account. Can you pull up the calls with representative and help me get my refund as I was suggested by Hotwire reps on Feb 21 and Feb 25.

Original review: March 5, 2022

I went through Hotwire for a trip in July 2020, which was cancelled due to COVID. Car rental of 1200$ cost. They gave me back HotDollars in exchange, for 18 months... Just up to end Dec 2021, still during COVID limitations / no travel. Finally they refused to allow me to use my HotDllars in 2022. In other words they stole me 1200$... They say they have no other way than applying the policy... I'm sure many other customers lost lots of dollars. Don't go there, they're not going to help.

Original review: March 4, 2022

Don't be fooled by fake positive reviews. This company has literally no customer support. There may be some deals, right. But if something goes wrong or you simply need to change something - you are on your own. Local hotels are perhaps so-so. In the worst case there's always another hotel near by. But flights or vacations? Save yourself from big troubles with this crappy company.

Hotwire Company Information