2. Travel
Hotwire

Hotwire

3.7/5 (1402 ratings)

About Hotwire

Hotwire is a travel and vacation website that offers deeply discounted deals on hotels, car rentals, flights and more. With Hotwire, you can book deals directly from the site or through the company’s app.

Pros

• Deals in many categories
  • Easy to book online or with app
  • Significantly discounted rates

Cons

• No cancellations
  • Doesn’t show hotel name until booked

Bottom Line

Hotwire sells hotel rooms, car rentals, flights and vacation packages that might otherwise go unsold for discounted rates. It partners with many major companies to provide a variety of options.

Top Hotwire Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Verified

I reserved a hotel room using the hot rate tool, which gives you an undisclosed hotel in a certain star range for a very good price. ... When I arrived at my hotel this time, ther...

Verified

Hotwire gives best deals and details and handles issues much faster than others. They give you area comparisons and options to add to your trip like rental car and outings. The de...

What is Hotwire?

Hotwire finds hotel rooms, rental cars and vacation packages at deeply discounted rates. Travelers can look up travel information on the website or the mobile app and access 24/7 customer service.

The company advertises the ability to connect you with four-star hotels at two-star prices, and it partners with leaders in the travel industry, such as Hilton, Hyatt and most major car rental companies and airlines.

How does Hotwire work?

You can use Hotwire to search for flights, hotel accommodations, rental cars and vacation experiences. You will not see the hotel's name until you book your stay — this is what allows Hotwire to offer such deep discounts.

Hotwire gives you other information about the hotel, such as the star rating, customer reviews, the city where it's located, an area map and sometimes even a detailed description of the local neighborhood and a list of local landmarks.

Hotwire has an easy-to-use filter option so you can narrow down your search by location and date.

Hotels
Enter your destination, check-in date, check-out date and how many guests will be traveling to have Hotwire show you a list of hotels in the area, their discounted rates, their Expedia reviews and other basic info. No names or addresses are included.

You can filter your search by hotel class, price range, amenities, guest rating and the general area. Before you book, you’ll see the base rate, your dates and additional fees. Once you book, the sale is final and you receive the name of the hotel, the address and other specifics.

Car rental
Booking a rental car on Hotwire works much like booking a hotel. You enter your dates and pickup and dropoff location. Hotwire lets you choose your preferred car type and set your budget before presenting a list of rental cars at discounted rates.
Flights
When you’re booking flights, Hotwire tells you the name of the airline you’ll be flying with. It also gives you flight details such as change fees and the number of layovers.
Vacation experiences
When you book a vacation package with Hotwire, you have the option to bundle your hotel, car and flight.

Hotwire prices

While Hotwire strives to give you the best vacation experiences at low prices, there are a few other fees to consider before booking. Before you confirm your purchase, Hotwire shows you a breakdown of your purchase, including the base rate and its “tax recovery charges and fees.” These fees vary based on the hotel that you're assigned.

It's also important to remember that some hotels have additional costs, such as parking, resort fees and convention fees. These charges typically aren't listed as part of the booking process, and travelers pay these extra fees with the hotel company directly.

Travelers can save more money with Hotwire by downloading the app and taking advantage of last-minute travel deals.

Hotwire FAQ

Who owns Hotwire?
Expedia Group owns Hotwire.
How do I get a refund from Hotwire?
All tickets and purchases through Hotwire are final and will not be refunded. All changes and cancellations must be made through the hotel, car rental company or airline.
How does Hotwire work for hotels?
Travelers enter their trip information into the search, and Hotwire produces a list of discounted rates available for that time. Customers do not know the name of the hotel until they make a reservation, but they do receive information about the hotel’s rating, location and customer reviews.
Does Hotwire have promo codes?
Yes. Customers can receive promo codes when they sign up to receive emails from Hotwire.

Is Hotwire legit?

Hotwire is a reputable travel company that is recognized across the globe for providing valid and discounted travel accommodations. It is owned by Expedia Group, another trusted and well-established leader in the travel industry. Some people may not like not knowing the name of the hotel they’re staying at until making a reservation, but Hotwire is worth checking out if your primary goal is keeping costs down when traveling.

Hotwire Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotwire.com?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I book one night Hotel with them. I decided to Cancel I call spoke with the agent she told me I can cancel and get full refund. After three days I check my credit card account I got charge I didn’t get my refund so I call them back they said no one promised me I can get my refund back. Don’t trust Hotwire they just still you’re Money bad customer service.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Having a terrible time with Hotwire customer service, getting in touch with a live agent. I entered both my associated phone number and itinerary number and the automated service does not recognize the number. This is terrible service and when I got on chat, they said they can't help me and call at a less busy time. I can't imagine ever dealing with this again, a huge lessons learn for future airline, hotel and auto reservations. It's because when I called the airlines they said I need to call hotwire.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I booked a car rental with Hotwire. I did not see there was a fine print that it was not changeable. I needed to change it and they would not let me even though they had plenty of time to rent the car to somebody else. I am just not used to be unable to change car rental reservations. They should put it in Capital letters. I an any case I gave them $400 and got nothing. Very bad experience!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

BEWARE....They make you prepay, then they will assign you to a subpar rental company. In my situation, I was assigned to Sixt which closes early at the location of pick up. My flight was delayed due to weather. While ALL OTHER car companies were still open at the airport pick up location, this particular car rental company closed early, leaving no alternative for vehicle pick up. I immediately contact Hotwire (at 11pm) and they said they could not assist me that Sixt (the following day) was my ONLY option. I contacted Sixt first a.m. and they told me that Hotwire was my only option. After going back and forth for several hours, I received no resolution and Hotwire informed me that they would NOT issue a refund (although weather is out of my control). BE AWARE....DO NOT PREPAY FOR ANY SERVICES.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

The HotWire.com conspires with lower quality hotels, such as Le Reve Pasadena, to exploit customers. The hotel Le Reve Pasadena is a slaughterhouse. It is between Highway 210 and E. Colorado Blvd. The rumbling sound is so strong that I did not sleep one minute in the whole night. Basically, you will be killed there. You even cannot escape the slaughterhouse. If you escape it, you will not get refund.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I booked a hotel stay due to a Layover at LAX. Unfortunately, my flight was changed six times due to the pandemic and I no longer needed the hotel stay. I contacted Hotwire to request a credit or adjustment but I was denied. I’ve used Hotwire a number of times, so I understand their policy. However, I’m disappointed that Hotwire refused to make any accommodations after showing proof of the flight changes. That said, I will no longer book travel through Hotwire. #Dissatisfiedcustomer #Buyerbeware

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021
    The Hotwire advertisement said that this particular deal was a 3-star hotel. It gave you a variety of choices for the hotel. And after purchasing the hotel, it was a no-name brand hotel. That hotel brand name was not in the suggestions upon purchasing. And once we get in the room, it was full of roaches, dirty towels, sticky floors. The air conditioner and television did not work. The main reason for the complaint is that the hotel staff weren’t wearing masks. And it was a horrible experience.
    Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I purchased a rental through them, and had to cancel 16 days before pick up for reasons beyond my control. I called customer service and was treated unfair and disrespectfully. I even tried to compromise and ask for at least a partial refund and was told no. The supervisor was totally unreasonable and disconnected the call prematurely. They kept saying they understand but wouldn't let me talk nor listen to what I was asking. I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Hotwire kept sending me junk mails even if I blocked it. It is very annoying. I just searched this website once and they are bothering me since then. How and why would they do this. I could be your future customer, but not anymore.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

My wife and I were on a road trip through Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. We ended up in a small town in Montana and couldn’t find any hotel rooms due to a motorcycle event in that town. We got on Hotwire, which, said we could book a 4 star rated property for a decent price, which was 150.00 a night. We booked it and also paid for the “insurance”. Then we found out the hotel had been sold to a private individual and was no longer a chain. Furthermore, reviews of the hotel alleged bed bug activity and horrible reviews. We were misled and called Hotwire to cancel, only to find out that our “insurance” only applies in a medical emergency and doctor note is required. Really? Travelers “insurance” is a scam at Hotwire. I will never use Hotwire again. NEVER.

Hotwire Company Information