1.03/5
Based on 68 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 5, 2018

72 RailEurope.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 5, 2018

Please explain if it is a website decision on what train you catch why the processing fees is $70. Seems extremely excessive but if you want to reserve before one leaves for Europe you are at the mercy of whatever Rail Europe wants to charge. And then no option to exchange until you get to Europe. A great money rip off in my opinion to the unaware traveller.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I had a ticket from London to Paris then Paris to Barcelona. Once I got to Paris I was given wrong directions by several people which in turn made me miss the train. I even went to the information at Paris Nord who proceeded to just laugh at me and say no with no help whatsoever. Then I was told to go upstairs to Eurostar and line up there then whilst lining up another Eurostar employee told me no I need to go to another terminal.

By this time I’d missed my train to Spain. Which means I had to buy another train ticket to get to this terminal (nobody told me this) then I missed the train cause unless you speak or understand French you are in a lot of trouble. None of this was explained to me at either stations until I’d missed the train. I had to end up buying a plane ticket to get there. I contacted euro rail to explain what happen. Their response try and claim on travel insurance cause it’s nonrefundable - I mean it’s their employees that gave me the wrong information in the first place.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We purchased 2 Eurail Global Passes and tickets for a sleeper car on two different routes in Europe. We also purchased "rail protection" on the Global passes and the tickets for the sleeper car. The total cost for both reservations was $1204.50. We had to cut our European vacation short and did not use the Global passes nor the sleeper car. We contacted RailEurope for a refund and we were told that we had to have returned the unused tickets three (3) days prior to leaving the US for our European vacation!!! Are you kidding me! We didn't find out that our vacation would need to be cut short until 3 days after arriving in Europe.

This is why we purchased "rail protection"!!! After reading the "fine print" we did discover the where it stated returning the tickets 3 days prior. RailEurope strongly suggested we purchase "rail protection" but did not explain to us the requirements for a refund. I then sent a strongly worded email to their customer service explaining what had happened and we did not receive a reply back. This company is not one I would recommend to anyone! I feel we have been totally scammed. They advertise "a full refund with the rail protection... no questions asked" but this is not what they deliver. This is a ** company. Buyer beware with RailEurope!!!

Original review: April 6, 2018

I am on a train RIGHT now in Europe. I printed out my ticket exactly as described. I am not a German speaker, so I did not know that my ticket merely read "reservation". I have been trying for 2 hours to find a way to print my ticket online. There is NO WAY. I have been on the phone for an hour with the customer service for this company and cannot get anyone. I have written multiple emails and get no response. I checked my bank account and they drew the money 2 weeks ago. But it looks like the train system here has no record of it. This is a complete scam.

I wish I had read the reviews here before booking with them. They all say the same thing. I realize I have been scammed out of 300$. I hope I will be allowed to pay the ticket on the train itself. I hope once I get home they will allow me to get a refund. I'm glad I read that I should make sure to keep a receipt of the second ticket. I will do that. I am so sorry for anyone else that gets caught up in the scam.

Original review: March 24, 2018

This is a criminal enterprise masking itself as a ticket reseller. Even if you follow their rules, they refuse to give you a refund. But I figured out their scam. In my latest correspondence with them I was told to activate any trip insurance I might have and pursue a refund that way. Great! They don't follow their guidelines for a refund and, as a result, our insurance rates eventually go up because insurance companies and credit cards are on the hook for their dishonest behavior. Why are European railways even doing business with these people. The FTC should look into their anti-consumer practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RailEurope.com?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I purchased an advanced ticket for my recent trips to Europe. No ticket was ever emailed as described. I called and emailed for a new one multiple times - no help. I asked for a new ticket via the company's website. No replies. I called while at the local ticketing office and they wouldn't pick up. East coast hours only! WOW NO CUSTOMER SERVICE HOURS FOR THE EUROPEAN TIME THAT THEY SELL TICKETS FOR!!! I had to purchase a new ticket on the spot. Now that I am home I was actually able to get an agent on the phone! So I requested a refund. They verified that my ticket wasn't printed or used at all yet still want me to prove to them that I had to buy another ticket and they will then determine what amount that I will be refunded. HUH??? What a SCAM! I will NEVER use this fraudulent company again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

This company clearly & boldly states on their page before you purchase a ticket that "100% refunds, no questions asked" with protection plan of $17... I bought a round trip ticket from London to Paris ($141 with protection plan). I bought the ticket because the embassy required it before visa application could be submitted. Then I initially was not issued a Schengen visa, I called the company for a refund same day, I was told tickets are non-refundable nor transferable, I asked for a supervisor so I could tell him my plight and get some money back, he said all he could do for me was to find someone else to transfer the ticket to and call them back with details. After 2 weeks, I couldn't find anyone, I appealed my visa denial and finally got it. I called them back change my date because I had lost time with the embassy. The agent told me that I would have to pay additional $195 (new ticket rate) and $7 processing fee with another $17 for another protection fee.

I asked why, she said the ticket I had bought for $141 Is now over $300 with the new date. Then I asked what was my protection plan covering, she said it is only to change the date (one time only) meaning without a protection plan, ticket date was unchangeable. So in essence I will be spending additional $200+ to save a ticket I initially bought for $141. If the information was clearly stated that the ticket was naturally unchangeable, non refundable or non transferable, I would not have used their company. They are false advertising and misinforming customers. In the end, I will be forfeiting all my money in totality.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I purchased four first class tickets at a cost of more than $400 more than a normal high speed train ticket. The train, from Bordeaux to Paris did not have any promised amenities, not even water. When I asked for a refund, Rail Europe required that I send the original tickets back to them, which I did. A month later, a refund of 10% was applied to my credit card, without explanation. This was to be granted by the French train service, but Rail Europe would not answer repeated requests for some documentation from SNCF, so I have no way of knowing whether Rail Europe kept $360 of my refund. In the future, I will purchase my train tickets in Europe.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Rail Europe charged me 3x standard prices for three rail tickets (Paris to Belgium), then failed to send the tickets, and refuses to give me a refund. They are frauds. Based on the terrible reviews, I'm surprised they're still in business. However, I'm going to do my best to put them out of business.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Be careful when trying to book rail tickets. It is best to do it directly through the country's rail company. This site is among those sites and appears to be what it isn't. They charge way more for tickets and add nothing but headache to your transaction. I tried to cancel but paid 50% of the ticket. Their system for calling you back so you don't have to wait is also bogus. They call you and I waited a good five minutes for them to answer. I wish everyone could read these reviews before getting tricked into using this site.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I purchased two tickets for travel from Edinburgh Scotland to Inverness far in advance of leaving the States. Rail Europe charged my credit card immediately but did not email a confirmation that I had purchased tickets. Their website said they would send an email confirmation but they didn't. I contacted them again before I left the States but they would not respond. Rail Europe's website says it's their policy to respond within 24 to 48 hours. They did not respond to my inquiry and also did not email me a confirmation the sale had been completed. I flew to Edinburgh on July 16 still waiting for the tickets that I had purchased on Rail Europe's website but they would not answer me to confirm I made the purchase or even answer my subsequent inquiry about the missing tickets.

The night before the train ride (July 19) I went to the train station in Edinburgh to see if the Scott Rail customer service representative could find tickets in the system for me. I even showed them screen shots that I had taken of my computer screen and printed out from when I had purchased the tickets weeks prior. Scott Rail could not find our names in the system, indicating there were no tickets purchased for us. I finally had to purchase two tickets for the following morning to ensure we had seats. Rail Europe finally purchased my tickets and emailed me confirmation practically at the last minute (90+ hours after my written inquiry on where my tickets were!) but I had already purchased Scott Rail tickets. Rail Europe refused to refund my money because they sent me the email before the train departed. Rail Europe is run by idiots. Do not do business with Rail Europe.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I booked a ticket on Rail Europe to support a flight I had from CDG. I paid for it and I get my reservation code. The next day I get an email stating that they cannot get this ticket and I am on my own. Do not believe that they have the tickets that they promise - they don't. Do not depend on Rail Europe to get you where you need to be. They won't. All they do is charge you extra for something you can do for yourself at the train station or directly with the train service.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I spent many hours selecting specific dates and times for trains - I did this so I could have a basis for a price comparison between individual tickets and a pass. What arrived via UPS (and it is 2017 - I don't know why there is no electronic print capability) was a stack of tickets that just had destinations and a date range with NO explanation that I could take any train during that time range. Also I had selected a trip Amsterdam to Bruges and the ticket I received terminated in Antwerp. This necessitated a call to the US Office which was a long drawn out press this press that and then a 29-minute wait time. I selected the "call me back" feature. When that call came I had to navigate through another long button pressing process to confirm I really wanted the call. The RailEurope employee explained that the Amsterdam to Bruges included the missing portion of the ticket because it includes one transfer within the same country - How are you supposed to know this?

As far as the other tickets they are for regional trains and we can select any train - Nice flexibility but why did I spend so many hours carefully choosing specific dates and times. Just print up what I selected and if you send this mess instead perhaps an explanation of what I received might be helpful so I don't have to waste my time and RailEurpope's time calling. Probably should have rented a car. I don't think RailEurope is required or programmed to care since there isn't any competition in the train world. I should have looked into the car rental more seriously. Won't do this again.

Original review: June 6, 2017

You cannot change trains in Madrid in 9 min. Don't believe them. Don't buy their extra travel insurance. It is a waste of money. They assured me that 9 min. train changes were the norm. Once I saw the station in Madrid and spoke with the clerks there it was obvious that a 9 min train change is impossible. These people are unscrupulous thieves.

Original review: May 25, 2017 Amazing! I have 2 more days to my RailEurope scheduled trip. I need to change it, and what do I find... They don't care. They don't even offer a penalty, they STEAL your money. Plain and simple. Their "None refundable, none exchangeable policy" is a way to LEGALLY rob you of your money! Incredible!!! I still can't believe they care so LITTLE about their customers and their country! Spain should feel ashamed that companies treat tourists this bad! Outrageous. VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER... I hope someone with a more worldly management skills comes into play and shows them how business is made this day and age.

HELLO! Unexpected always happens. You have to accommodate clients.

Original review: May 18, 2017

This is a consumer beware warning. We had never traveled in Europe and I elected to purchase raileurope.ca TGV train tickets. Terrible mistake. There was no option visible other than to ship to our house. So we did. We ended up having to change our tickets due to a flight time issue. We knew there would be a fee - so be it. We had to pay 20$ to have the tickets shipped back to the company in the US. We then waited and waited. I contacted them to no avail. We are still waiting.

This is a terrible company and you should not book with them. There are better providers who do not charge such outrageous fees and who give easy options to print at the station so you don't run into this fiasco. Please, please, please, trust me and try a different company. Service is terrible and they will never learn until people stop buying their terrible product. I doubt we will ever see our money. If we do, it will be half of what we paid. We literally ended up with nothing and they came out with 350 dollars.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I wish I had read the reviews that have been posted about Rail Europe, and seen the star rating on this site, before booking my train tickets through them. Despite returning unused tickets in the specified period of time, and meeting all of the requirements for cancellation, this company stalled of 6 months before advising that they would not be issuing me with a refund. They have no phone number, so the only method of communication is through email, which they may or may not respond to. My advice to anyone booking rail tickets in Europe is do NOT use this company. Organize tickets when you get to Europe - it is so easy, rather than use RailEurope.com. In all honesty this company should not be operating. I used the rail protection plan, which was just an additional way for this company to make money - there was no protection at all.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

On December 23 2017 we travelled from Berlin to Prague via train with our children. There were 4 of us. The tickets cost $479 Australian dollars. I had purchased and paid for the tickets online and elected to print the tickets at the station and not have them sent to us in the mail. We successfully printed our tickets at the station and we're assigned seat numbers 43, 44, 47 and 48. On boarding the train we could only find seats 43 and 44. Seats 47 and 48 did not exist.

The train was overcrowded with individuals and families standing/sitting on luggage and squatting in the corridors. We never saw the conductor until our journey's end, nearing Prague and he was not interested in our dilemma. The train we travelled on in no way reflected what had been advertised on the Rail Europe website.

On returning to Australia I contacted Rail Europe seeking a refund or partial refund and some acknowledgment that we paid for 4 seats and got 2 seats. The feedback from the Rail Europe Customer Service team has been unhelpful and it was very apparent from the onset they had no intention of considering a refund or acknowledging a possible mistake. I intend to pursue the matter to ensure others are not subjected to the poor service we have received. My feedback to anyone considering using Rail Europe is don't!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

On 14 Nov, I requested for a refund of my ticket from Madrid to Toledo as it is impossible to transfer to the train within 5 mins. The platform is at least 15 mins away while transiting from Sevilla-Madrid-Toledo. I already fed back during ticket collection. The officer nonchalantly told me that I should just run to the other platform at top speed. Obviously, she was not a frequent traveller. In addition, the booking system does not permit a later time for the connecting train. Thus, I ended up to wait for another 1.5 hrs for the connecting train and purchase of additional tickets.

Incidentally, I lost my original train tickets via theft at train station in Madrid which I made a police report. All Rail Europe said that I should claim the lost tickets from my travel insurer instead claiming that they cannot process any claim if I do not hold the original tickets. In the first place, I would have utilized tickets should there not be an oversight and unprofessionalism by Rail Europe. Rail Europe overlooked of responding to me after 2 weeks of my email to them attaching a visual of the tickets before my trip. In this day and age, who uses paper ticket? If it is not for ease of mind via an English site and they charged high service fee, I will think twice. There is absolutely zero customer service instead. I urge travellers to avoid buying from Rail Europe Singapore in future.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

We are a "mature" couple, i.e., in our seventies who wanted to avoid dragging our luggage around to the ticket counters for our four segment rail trip through England. I logged on to the RailEurope.com site and proceeded to purchase our tickets. The website is a confusing horror - thought I had threaded through the maze after the third try and clicked "purchase". My wife's ticket was omitted and the reserved/nonreserved mess and options would try anyone's patience. I immediately called them and asked them to cancel the entire process. Was informed that they would/could not and I would be billed. At the moment my credit card company is trying to extract me from this mess. I don't know why Google allows them on the 'net.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Unfortunately, I bought the Rail Europe Rail Protection Plan that assured me I could make changes to my tickets. Firstly, SNCF (France) and RENFE (Spain) don't recognize Rail Europe as a partner. Secondly, SNCF and RENFE definitely didn't honor their change policy or Rail Protection Plan. I'm out $300 because I booked with Rail Europe. Choose a country other than US when booking through SNCF! Unfortunately, SNCF automatically redirects you to Rail Europe if you mark that you're a US Resident. HORRIBLE AND DECEITFUL.

Original review: July 27, 2016

Don't trust them. After confirming our train days earlier they emailed me on the day stating they no longer had tickets available for us and every other train was booked. They are useless middlemen.

Original review: June 21, 2016

Unfortunately, I happened to visit RailEurope website and found Stockholm to Oslo train with price of $46. I received the confirmation letter with same price. However, few days later, they said due to the market price, ticket price went up to $202 and there are other options something like $50 2nd class or same price with departing at some odd time. I refused to select other options and then they send me the itinerary and confirmation letter with total price of $202+$50+$50=$302. Wonder if this company is normal business unit. Somebody should stop this nonsense site.

Original review: June 2, 2016

These rogues stole over 600 euros from my 2 credit cards, still waiting on my cash back after 3 weeks. This left me short for my holiday which was ruined. I then had to travel to a strange country and waste 200 euros on taxis and another 360 euros on trains I had paid for before I went. Disgraceful service.

Original review: May 29, 2016

We purchased our France rail tickets from this "travel agent" monopoly several months ago after speaking with a representative. We discussed our exact itinerary at that time and ultimately purchased a 5-day pass. Because 3 of the trips were on TGV, we also made reservations. The first train reservation was made 6 days away from the last. Nothing was ever mentioned, including on the email purchase confirmation that it was 5 days "consecutive." So our return TGV ticket was paid for was worthless as they sold us a ticket for which we can't use and never timely responded to emails, website portal contact or Facebook Messenger chats.

I would not recommend this company and we will never use them again. Better to just book directly with the specific rail service if possible since this company can't do their job well, evidencing why most travel agencies are out or going out of business. Unfortunately RailEurope has a monopoly with several of the European rail companies.

Original review: May 13, 2016

I booked an train from Venice to Rome on 27th of April. When I was at the OTP payment option, the website froze and boot me out of the system. Well, I was shocked by how lousy the system was and went looking through my email for confirmation of purchase. However I saw NO EMAIL regarding the issue, thus I went to contact my bank to cancel the transaction. The bank explained that the credit was on hold and it would not be deducted if the merchant didn't collect it, and it's normal the merchant won't collect the money if product was not sold. Therefore I decided to ignore this matter and waited.

On 5th of May I checked my bank statement. I realize that $80 EUROS was deduced. Therefore, I decided to lodge an complaint for refund as money was deducted without purchase. However the customer service insisted they send me an email on 28th of April and just send me my confirmation letter on the 5th of May. WHAT THE HELL SO LATE? I HAD MADE ANOTHER BOOKING INSTEAD! In actual fact, I didn't receive any email on 28 April. I check inbox, junk mail and spam before I decided to ask for an refund. Even if they did send me an email on 28th April, it was one day late and deem as the sales didn't went through. Their system boot me out which reflects that they are not welcoming of me purchasing from your site. It was the technology glitch that the company should be held account for.

Thus in all circumstances, it was consider a scam. IF I DIDN'T COMPLAIN, I WOULD HAVE PAID YOU MONEY FOR NO SERVICE. However now I am in a situation with double set of rail ticket as Rail-Europe insist of not refunding me for their technical glitch, does not have proof they emailed me and does not reply my email from them on. The million dollar question: Which customer has to "lodge an complain" for a refund before an ticket is issued? Is it an good service? Please show evidence before accusing me and pushing away the blame. Dissatisfied Customer.

Original review: May 11, 2016

I made reservations for train journeys in Italy and paid by credit card. I received a confirmation but shortly afterwards received an email from their fraud department stating that my booking had been cancelled and that any money paid would be refunded to me. No detailed explanation was given... I can only deduce that it was cancelled due to suspected fraud. However, the payment went through my account. A whole stream of emails followed between me and a person with the name of Cijie ** with absolutely no result. The booking was made on 18 April 2016 and as I write this on 12 May 2016, the matter remains unresolved. My advice is... AVOID THIS WEBSITE LIKE THE PLAGUE...

Original review: May 9, 2016

Rail Europe (USA site) is the worst site to get information from. I have received incorrect phone numbers for handicapped services in France. I called several times and was given incorrect information. I attempted to fill out forms that were only available in French and Rail Europe refused to guide me through it, in order to properly fill out the form so that the requested form could be sent. In addition, I received a lot of information from several customer service agents that was incorrect. It frightens me to think that this sole Representative for Rail Europe is so unhelpful.

Original review: May 5, 2016

Be aware of this website, it is a rip-off. I rebooked the train tickets for France and canceled the previous one due to I only could print out 2 E-tickets instead of 6 tickets. They charge me 7% penalty/per ticket plus the booking fee of $7.95. If I go directly to French website (www.sncf.com/en/passengers), their price are mostly lower or the same and they don't charge any booking or penalty fee for the kind of tickets I bought (flexible).

Original review: April 27, 2016

2 days after I bought a ticket for $119, I have got this email from RailEurope: "Thank you for booking online with Rail Europe. Your order has been placed on hold because the requested fare is no longer available. However, we are holding the lowest available 1st class fare for a grand total of $181.95. We are also holding the lowest available 2nd class fare which is $97.95. Please reply to this email within 24 hours to advise us how to proceed." I called them and they said they are sold out. But I check their website and I still get the price as $119.

RailEurope.com Company Information