1.8/5 (170 ratings)

About RailEurope.com

RailEurope.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RailEurope.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about RailEurope.com?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

If you buy tickets from them and everything goes fine - then it's all well, they are happy, you are happy. If something bad happens then they are not responsible for anything. My train got cancelled and I needed help, I paid extra 500 EUR to get home in the result. RailEurope advised to contact rail company that operated cancelled train, but railway company sends me back to them, because they are the travel agency that sold me tickets. I only try to follow advice I receive, however once I am back they are trying to send me back again, they don't care that I already go in circle. I don't know if they are actually reading my messages, I have impression that not really.

It's easy to be good company if everything goes fine. Challenge comes if problems arise. Then blaming game starts. I would advise against using that website. Also use planes when it's cheaper too. Both can be cancelled, but at least you lose less money. No travel company cares about people, so unfortunately we have to keep race to the bottom.

Original review: July 22, 2022

Order your tickets from other website or directly from the train operator if you have the option. I ordered Madrid to Barcelona return tickets from Rail Europe. Because of flight change, I ended up flying to Barcelona so canceled the Madrid to Barcelona ticket. First of all, I never got confirmation that my ticket was canceled although the Madrid to Barcelona tickets have disappeared from the app while Barcelona to Madrid ticket still showed up. When I checked in at the Barcelona train station, the train operator told me that my Barcelona to Madrid ticket has been canceled by the travel agent! My family and I were left at the platform with no ticket!

We had to buy tickets last minute for double the price at a lower class and our travel was delayed by 5 hours. I have been emailing and emailing Rail Europe and nobody would give me any response. They said their standard response time is 24 hours during the week. And it has been 10 days after repeated emails. Their website was recommended by a travel blogger but user reviews on ConsumerAffairs have raised all kinds of red flags. Stay away!

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: July 11, 2022

After posting my opinion of RailEurope in view of their poor response to my complaint re being issued single tickets instead of returns I am pleased to say they revisited my complaint. They have now refunded me the cost of the return tickets.

Original review: July 5, 2022

Booked return rail tickets in UK but, using the collection code given, only got single tickets. Had to pay again for return tickets. Complained to Raileurope and, after nearly a week, a lady called Nayana, who has atrocious English, e-mailed me and said I should have asked for assistance at the ticket desk. Naturally, I had done this but they couldn't help as it was nothing to do with them...they told me I'd have to pay again and claim for the tickets from Raileurope!! This company is just a scam.

Original review: June 11, 2022

I purchased five tickets for travel in France. One person in my party of five could not travel due to medical reasons. I contacted RailEurope to get a refund for this person, this was done on May 21st and our travel date was not until 6th of June. I received an automated email telling me that someone would contact me within 72 hours. NO ONE contacted me to address my request. My next trip to Europe will NOT involve RailEurope ticket sales. Look elsewhere to purchase tickets.

Don

Canada

Original review: April 27, 2022

We had to cancel our trip because we could no longer travel to Russia. We asked Rail Europe Customer Service to give us a refund and they said, "Sorry, not possible." I wrote back asking them to take it to senior management to reconsider and they came back with, because we were not from Ukraine, we cannot cancel. This is just pure greed from a Company that sells tickets on behalf of independent railroads and you can be sure that while they take the money from the consumer, they will not be passing the funds to the rail lines because we had to cancel through no fault of our own. Please, try to do anything you can to book your rail tour with anyone other than this greedy unsympathetic company. It's a shame that employees have to work for a company as awful as this one.

Original review: April 22, 2022

BEWARE. This company is a scam. Reposting my review because the company keeps trying to flag my review as false... DO NOT USE THIS SCAM SERVICE. Contracted covid while abroad and had to cancel my train ticket with RailEurope.com. This was a $500 train ride in Switzerland and they REFUSED to refund me. I shared all of my covid results and a proof of contraction from a pharmacy. They still wouldn't give me my money back for a trip I could not take due to COVID!! Insanely terrible business practices. I really hope they go out of business. Total scam.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

RailEurope will sold me tickets marketed as "fully refundable for free prior to the date of travel". However when I contacted them to refund these "fully refundable tickets", they have refused to give me back my money. They are hiding behind a vague statement buried in the fine print of the email I received AFTER purchase that says "some tickets MIGHT be non-refundable" when you download a copy. However this is after the specific booking conditions in the email stating that my tickets ARE fully refundable for free. In contractual situations a specific statement will always take precedence over a general, non-specific statement.

RailEurope tries to pass off the blame on the train operator, but as the ticket seller and the authorized distributor, RailEurope has a duty to its consumers to CLEARLY communicate the terms and conditions of the ticket booking. In obviously failing to do this, RailEurope is misleading consumers and pocketing the extra money as a result. This company should be ashamed of itself.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I purchased tickets before the pandemics started. I agree with all the posts this year that they are the worst. Their policy says if the train cancels they will refund you. After numerous emails I have been sent in circles. They lied to my credit card so now they won't cover the dispute. Beware. I won't use them ever again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Purchased tickets for myself and wife in January and before the pandemic requested for refund. It’s so sad that no one responds to your emails and no contacts. This is a scam and would not encourage anyone to use their services. So sad.

Original review: June 19, 2020

You will never be able to get your money back from them. The site takes you around in Circles, no one to communicate with. We spend over $500 in tickets. Due to pandemic we were unable to travel. They stole our money and will steal yours too.

RailEurope.com Company Information