1.06/5
Based on 80 reviews that contain star ratings

84 RailEurope.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Had Swiss Rail Pass, wife got injured 2 days before scheduled departure from US. Had to cancel month long trip. Contacted Rail Europe 2 days (Aug 29) after Doctor visit and was advised the Pass was effective on Aug 28 (only visible in fine print), thus Rail Protection was worthless! Did not have planned rail travel until September 31. Watch the fine print. Rail Europe will not help you when buying the tickets or the Protection and will not help you after the fact.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I ordered some rail tickets to travel on Deutsche Bahn while in Europe. One set worked OK, but a pair of tickets to travel from Frankfurt to Nuremberg did not work. The number provided from the website did not work in the ticket machine at the station and the station staff were not able to make it work either. So Rail Europe has defrauded me out of the cost of two fares from Frankfurt to Nuremberg. I have asked my credit card provider to reverse the charge but Rail Europe are trying to dispute that. They have not provided any good reason why they should be able to keep the money since they have not actually provided the service. Isn't that wire fraud?

Get expert buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Website is broken by failing to store booking number just made so there is no way to cancel or exchange bookings. You can't cancel on SNCF's site, you are told to go to original booking agent, RailEurope which will not help. They will not answer emails even on their own form. They will not answer any of their phones even if you are a travel agent. Essentially they have no customer service. There is no way to settle a dispute except contest the CC charges and have your bank issue a chargeback on the funds you have paid. Then book directly with the train company.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I wrote this review this morning, but I do not see that it posted. I will endeavor to recreate it from memory. Went to the Rail Europe (RE) site to purchase First Class tickets on the Swiss railway system. Put in the names, dates and times as requested and paid for them by credit card. The mail arrived with an envelope containing General Boarding tickets with no names on them and no specific time and a range of dates for use. The tickets were from a French company (SNCF) and not the Swiss rail system. There was no explanatory note in the envelope. Emailed the company. Emailed the company. Emailed the company... Emailed the company again; got no answer once again. Sat for ~2 hours on-hold on both the 800 numbers they have; no one ever answered.

Sent a final email off explaining that the tickets were being returned. Went to the mail and sent them back via Certified Mail. Called our VISA card and told them to dispute the charges. BOOM! We get an email explaining how the Swiss do not issue the tickets we wanted; they have to be purchased in Switzerland. Hmmmm... then why does the website make it look like it is possible? Seems like fraud... Bait-and-switch... Worse? Instructed not to dispute the VISA charge because it'll slow down any refund. Told to expect only an 85% refund minus a 7% service charge. REALLY?

Sent a final email explaining our POV and our intent to file a complaint with the FTC, USPS (mail fraud) and the AG of CA. The new email from RE now proposes a full refund. If these people have deceived and defrauded you, please go the the FTC website and file an online complaint: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Company#crnt. OBTW: We contacted the Rick Steves website (recommended RE for tickets) and they acted like problems with RE are news to them. We sent them the link to this page. Just buy your train tickets in Europe or via a savvy and trusted Travel Agent. It'll save you time and money.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Purchased two tickets for $250 and included the trip Rail Protection Plan for an additional $40. Decided we needed to move our trip back one day and exchanges are allowed with our protection plan. Go to do this online: No way to do so. All cancellations and exchanges have to be done via phone. I go to call, and end up on hold for 2+ hours. Had to hang up due to work time constraints. Called in later that day. Another hour phone wait. Once talking to rep, they say they can do it for 100$ increase, even though the listed price online was same price as original purchase. Rep says she can’t see that price, which seems ridiculous to me. I say I’ll wait and try again tomorrow. Next day, 2.5 hours on hold with no answer. This is unacceptable. They make it virtually impossible to contact them and quote prices that don’t match their own website.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RailEurope.com?

Original review: July 27, 2018

Paid over $800 on overnight train from Austria to Venice and thankfully (we thought) added trip insurance. Lost our physical tickets and attempted to use the trip insurance. Due to timing, we were instructed to buy new tickets and Rail Europe would reimburse us. We purchased the EXACT same sleeper car directly from the train company for $260. A month later I am still unable to get in touch with a Rail Europe representative. Spend 30-60 minutes on hold at a time only to have to abandon my wait due to work schedule.

Original review: July 26, 2018

RailEurope are ripoff merchants! Buy your tickets from station prior to your holiday. Yes you can do it, research where to buy them. RailEurope billed me $240 for train tickets in Croatia, upon arrival I could have bought the same tickets for $40, go figure! Our train never showed up, a coach ended up transporting us to destination.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I have been waiting for over an hour to receive a response on the phone number attached to a reservation. The company does not answer any of the attached phone numbers. The government should investigate to protect consumers from purchasing tickets through a company like this. I bought insurance but that makes no difference.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Like others have said, I wish I had read the complaints here before purchasing tickets through Rail Europe. On July 6, I bought 4 tickets (paper tickets sent via 2-day UPS) for travel in late September from Italy to Switzerland through the website for $636. The day after I received the tickets, we had to make a change to our travel plans and cancel the tickets. What a nightmare trying to get through to the customer service telephone number! After endless hours on hold for 2 days straight, my husband finally spoke to a representative who told us that we'll lose $234 in unexplained fees if we cancel, even though the date of travel was 2 1/2 months away.

Neither the tickets themselves nor the website explain the cancellation and refund process in clear terms other than that there is a 7% administrative fee--but that is $44.52, not $234. Finally I received a response to an email I sent Rail Europe, but it contained only general information about refunds and referred me to the ticket and ticket jacket which have even more confusing, general and vague language about cancellation and refunds. It is outrageous to charge $234 for a $636 purchase when the cancellation was well in advance of travel and almost immediately after the purchase date. This is a shady operation that gouges travelers on train fare that can be gotten much cheaper and with much less hassle elsewhere. If this matter is not resolved to my satisfaction, I will be filing a complaint against Rail Europe with various consumer protection agencies. Buyer beware!

Original review: July 10, 2018

I received an email from RailEurope about strikes on the date of our commuting from Amsterdam to Paris. We had nice first class train tickets. They advised us to cancel the ticket and not travel on those dates. I emailed the company through their website that we want to cancel the ticket according to their advice. On the train station in Paris we asked how to arrange the cancellation besides the email. They couldn’t help us with this. Instead of the 3 hour first class train ride we took an 8 hour bus ride instead. (Same time as the train ticket we had.)

I have been emailing back and forward with RailEurope for over 3 months and just received an email that our cancelation request is rejected and we won’t get our money back as our e-tickets aren’t stamped as unused. How is it possible that such a big company is sending out emails telling their clients to cancel their tickets but refused to give money back.

Resolution response: July 7, 2018

After finally getting through to customer support, they resolved my issue in excellent fashion. They refunded my double booking and emailed me a link that worked to my train tickets. I am not sure, why the web-based system could not find the page with my tickets on it, but it should be fixed.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Purchased tickets twice. Cannot print them when I click on the link. Page does not exist, however my credit card was charged two times. Stay away! Waiting on hold for over one hour, WTF, is only one person working or is their website so terrible the phones are clogged with callers like me?

Original review: June 19, 2018

Why didn't I check these reviews first! Did not realize that this company was US based distributor until I read what a train ticket should really cost on TripAdvisor the day after making the purchase (tickets from Vienna to Budapest). Impossible to cancel ticket online, unable to print ticket from home. Two hours on hold and never had my call answered. Online contact form resulted in a response to send the tickets back to them for a refund. Called my credit card company to dispute the charges; however they are still pending. I will dispute. Received notification from Rail E. that my tickets were going to be delivered by UPS. I will refuse delivery. Notified the company of these steps reiterating the request to cancel. See what happens!

Original review: May 5, 2018

Please explain if it is a website decision on what train you catch why the processing fees is $70. Seems extremely excessive but if you want to reserve before one leaves for Europe you are at the mercy of whatever Rail Europe wants to charge. And then no option to exchange until you get to Europe. A great money rip off in my opinion to the unaware traveller.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I had a ticket from London to Paris then Paris to Barcelona. Once I got to Paris I was given wrong directions by several people which in turn made me miss the train. I even went to the information at Paris Nord who proceeded to just laugh at me and say no with no help whatsoever. Then I was told to go upstairs to Eurostar and line up there then whilst lining up another Eurostar employee told me no I need to go to another terminal.

By this time I’d missed my train to Spain. Which means I had to buy another train ticket to get to this terminal (nobody told me this) then I missed the train cause unless you speak or understand French you are in a lot of trouble. None of this was explained to me at either stations until I’d missed the train. I had to end up buying a plane ticket to get there. I contacted euro rail to explain what happen. Their response try and claim on travel insurance cause it’s nonrefundable - I mean it’s their employees that gave me the wrong information in the first place.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We purchased 2 Eurail Global Passes and tickets for a sleeper car on two different routes in Europe. We also purchased "rail protection" on the Global passes and the tickets for the sleeper car. The total cost for both reservations was $1204.50. We had to cut our European vacation short and did not use the Global passes nor the sleeper car. We contacted RailEurope for a refund and we were told that we had to have returned the unused tickets three (3) days prior to leaving the US for our European vacation!!! Are you kidding me! We didn't find out that our vacation would need to be cut short until 3 days after arriving in Europe.

This is why we purchased "rail protection"!!! After reading the "fine print" we did discover the where it stated returning the tickets 3 days prior. RailEurope strongly suggested we purchase "rail protection" but did not explain to us the requirements for a refund. I then sent a strongly worded email to their customer service explaining what had happened and we did not receive a reply back. This company is not one I would recommend to anyone! I feel we have been totally scammed. They advertise "a full refund with the rail protection... no questions asked" but this is not what they deliver. This is a ** company. Buyer beware with RailEurope!!!

Original review: April 6, 2018

I am on a train RIGHT now in Europe. I printed out my ticket exactly as described. I am not a German speaker, so I did not know that my ticket merely read "reservation". I have been trying for 2 hours to find a way to print my ticket online. There is NO WAY. I have been on the phone for an hour with the customer service for this company and cannot get anyone. I have written multiple emails and get no response. I checked my bank account and they drew the money 2 weeks ago. But it looks like the train system here has no record of it. This is a complete scam.

I wish I had read the reviews here before booking with them. They all say the same thing. I realize I have been scammed out of 300$. I hope I will be allowed to pay the ticket on the train itself. I hope once I get home they will allow me to get a refund. I'm glad I read that I should make sure to keep a receipt of the second ticket. I will do that. I am so sorry for anyone else that gets caught up in the scam.

Original review: March 24, 2018

This is a criminal enterprise masking itself as a ticket reseller. Even if you follow their rules, they refuse to give you a refund. But I figured out their scam. In my latest correspondence with them I was told to activate any trip insurance I might have and pursue a refund that way. Great! They don't follow their guidelines for a refund and, as a result, our insurance rates eventually go up because insurance companies and credit cards are on the hook for their dishonest behavior. Why are European railways even doing business with these people. The FTC should look into their anti-consumer practices.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I purchased an advanced ticket for my recent trips to Europe. No ticket was ever emailed as described. I called and emailed for a new one multiple times - no help. I asked for a new ticket via the company's website. No replies. I called while at the local ticketing office and they wouldn't pick up. East coast hours only! WOW NO CUSTOMER SERVICE HOURS FOR THE EUROPEAN TIME THAT THEY SELL TICKETS FOR!!! I had to purchase a new ticket on the spot. Now that I am home I was actually able to get an agent on the phone! So I requested a refund. They verified that my ticket wasn't printed or used at all yet still want me to prove to them that I had to buy another ticket and they will then determine what amount that I will be refunded. HUH??? What a SCAM! I will NEVER use this fraudulent company again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

This company clearly & boldly states on their page before you purchase a ticket that "100% refunds, no questions asked" with protection plan of $17... I bought a round trip ticket from London to Paris ($141 with protection plan). I bought the ticket because the embassy required it before visa application could be submitted. Then I initially was not issued a Schengen visa, I called the company for a refund same day, I was told tickets are non-refundable nor transferable, I asked for a supervisor so I could tell him my plight and get some money back, he said all he could do for me was to find someone else to transfer the ticket to and call them back with details. After 2 weeks, I couldn't find anyone, I appealed my visa denial and finally got it. I called them back change my date because I had lost time with the embassy. The agent told me that I would have to pay additional $195 (new ticket rate) and $7 processing fee with another $17 for another protection fee.

I asked why, she said the ticket I had bought for $141 Is now over $300 with the new date. Then I asked what was my protection plan covering, she said it is only to change the date (one time only) meaning without a protection plan, ticket date was unchangeable. So in essence I will be spending additional $200+ to save a ticket I initially bought for $141. If the information was clearly stated that the ticket was naturally unchangeable, non refundable or non transferable, I would not have used their company. They are false advertising and misinforming customers. In the end, I will be forfeiting all my money in totality.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I purchased four first class tickets at a cost of more than $400 more than a normal high speed train ticket. The train, from Bordeaux to Paris did not have any promised amenities, not even water. When I asked for a refund, Rail Europe required that I send the original tickets back to them, which I did. A month later, a refund of 10% was applied to my credit card, without explanation. This was to be granted by the French train service, but Rail Europe would not answer repeated requests for some documentation from SNCF, so I have no way of knowing whether Rail Europe kept $360 of my refund. In the future, I will purchase my train tickets in Europe.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Rail Europe charged me 3x standard prices for three rail tickets (Paris to Belgium), then failed to send the tickets, and refuses to give me a refund. They are frauds. Based on the terrible reviews, I'm surprised they're still in business. However, I'm going to do my best to put them out of business.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Be careful when trying to book rail tickets. It is best to do it directly through the country's rail company. This site is among those sites and appears to be what it isn't. They charge way more for tickets and add nothing but headache to your transaction. I tried to cancel but paid 50% of the ticket. Their system for calling you back so you don't have to wait is also bogus. They call you and I waited a good five minutes for them to answer. I wish everyone could read these reviews before getting tricked into using this site.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I purchased two tickets for travel from Edinburgh Scotland to Inverness far in advance of leaving the States. Rail Europe charged my credit card immediately but did not email a confirmation that I had purchased tickets. Their website said they would send an email confirmation but they didn't. I contacted them again before I left the States but they would not respond. Rail Europe's website says it's their policy to respond within 24 to 48 hours. They did not respond to my inquiry and also did not email me a confirmation the sale had been completed. I flew to Edinburgh on July 16 still waiting for the tickets that I had purchased on Rail Europe's website but they would not answer me to confirm I made the purchase or even answer my subsequent inquiry about the missing tickets.

The night before the train ride (July 19) I went to the train station in Edinburgh to see if the Scott Rail customer service representative could find tickets in the system for me. I even showed them screen shots that I had taken of my computer screen and printed out from when I had purchased the tickets weeks prior. Scott Rail could not find our names in the system, indicating there were no tickets purchased for us. I finally had to purchase two tickets for the following morning to ensure we had seats. Rail Europe finally purchased my tickets and emailed me confirmation practically at the last minute (90+ hours after my written inquiry on where my tickets were!) but I had already purchased Scott Rail tickets. Rail Europe refused to refund my money because they sent me the email before the train departed. Rail Europe is run by idiots. Do not do business with Rail Europe.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I booked a ticket on Rail Europe to support a flight I had from CDG. I paid for it and I get my reservation code. The next day I get an email stating that they cannot get this ticket and I am on my own. Do not believe that they have the tickets that they promise - they don't. Do not depend on Rail Europe to get you where you need to be. They won't. All they do is charge you extra for something you can do for yourself at the train station or directly with the train service.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I spent many hours selecting specific dates and times for trains - I did this so I could have a basis for a price comparison between individual tickets and a pass. What arrived via UPS (and it is 2017 - I don't know why there is no electronic print capability) was a stack of tickets that just had destinations and a date range with NO explanation that I could take any train during that time range. Also I had selected a trip Amsterdam to Bruges and the ticket I received terminated in Antwerp. This necessitated a call to the US Office which was a long drawn out press this press that and then a 29-minute wait time. I selected the "call me back" feature. When that call came I had to navigate through another long button pressing process to confirm I really wanted the call. The RailEurope employee explained that the Amsterdam to Bruges included the missing portion of the ticket because it includes one transfer within the same country - How are you supposed to know this?

As far as the other tickets they are for regional trains and we can select any train - Nice flexibility but why did I spend so many hours carefully choosing specific dates and times. Just print up what I selected and if you send this mess instead perhaps an explanation of what I received might be helpful so I don't have to waste my time and RailEurpope's time calling. Probably should have rented a car. I don't think RailEurope is required or programmed to care since there isn't any competition in the train world. I should have looked into the car rental more seriously. Won't do this again.

Original review: June 6, 2017

You cannot change trains in Madrid in 9 min. Don't believe them. Don't buy their extra travel insurance. It is a waste of money. They assured me that 9 min. train changes were the norm. Once I saw the station in Madrid and spoke with the clerks there it was obvious that a 9 min train change is impossible. These people are unscrupulous thieves.

Original review: May 25, 2017

Amazing! I have 2 more days to my RailEurope scheduled trip. I need to change it, and what do I find... They don't care. They don't even offer a penalty, they STEAL your money. Plain and simple. Their "None refundable, none exchangeable policy" is a way to LEGALLY rob you of your money! Incredible!!! I still can't believe they care so LITTLE about their customers and their country! Spain should feel ashamed that companies treat tourists this bad! Outrageous. VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER... I hope someone with a more worldly management skills comes into play and shows them how business is made this day and age.

HELLO! Unexpected always happens. You have to accommodate clients.

Original review: May 18, 2017

This is a consumer beware warning. We had never traveled in Europe and I elected to purchase raileurope.ca TGV train tickets. Terrible mistake. There was no option visible other than to ship to our house. So we did. We ended up having to change our tickets due to a flight time issue. We knew there would be a fee - so be it. We had to pay 20$ to have the tickets shipped back to the company in the US. We then waited and waited. I contacted them to no avail. We are still waiting.

This is a terrible company and you should not book with them. There are better providers who do not charge such outrageous fees and who give easy options to print at the station so you don't run into this fiasco. Please, please, please, trust me and try a different company. Service is terrible and they will never learn until people stop buying their terrible product. I doubt we will ever see our money. If we do, it will be half of what we paid. We literally ended up with nothing and they came out with 350 dollars.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I wish I had read the reviews that have been posted about Rail Europe, and seen the star rating on this site, before booking my train tickets through them. Despite returning unused tickets in the specified period of time, and meeting all of the requirements for cancellation, this company stalled of 6 months before advising that they would not be issuing me with a refund. They have no phone number, so the only method of communication is through email, which they may or may not respond to. My advice to anyone booking rail tickets in Europe is do NOT use this company. Organize tickets when you get to Europe - it is so easy, rather than use RailEurope.com. In all honesty this company should not be operating. I used the rail protection plan, which was just an additional way for this company to make money - there was no protection at all.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

On December 23 2017 we travelled from Berlin to Prague via train with our children. There were 4 of us. The tickets cost $479 Australian dollars. I had purchased and paid for the tickets online and elected to print the tickets at the station and not have them sent to us in the mail. We successfully printed our tickets at the station and we're assigned seat numbers 43, 44, 47 and 48. On boarding the train we could only find seats 43 and 44. Seats 47 and 48 did not exist.

The train was overcrowded with individuals and families standing/sitting on luggage and squatting in the corridors. We never saw the conductor until our journey's end, nearing Prague and he was not interested in our dilemma. The train we travelled on in no way reflected what had been advertised on the Rail Europe website.

On returning to Australia I contacted Rail Europe seeking a refund or partial refund and some acknowledgment that we paid for 4 seats and got 2 seats. The feedback from the Rail Europe Customer Service team has been unhelpful and it was very apparent from the onset they had no intention of considering a refund or acknowledging a possible mistake. I intend to pursue the matter to ensure others are not subjected to the poor service we have received. My feedback to anyone considering using Rail Europe is don't!!

RailEurope.com Company Information