Boston

3.7/5 (383 ratings)

About Vantage Deluxe World Travel

Vantage Deluxe World Travel provides European river cruises and travel adventures in more than 80 countries across all seven continents. The company offers solo and group trips that take travelers to a variety of worldwide destinations. It also handles meals, itineraries and airline and hotel bookings.

Pros

• Operates all over the world
  • Solo and group adventures available
  • Website offers ways to save money

Cons

• Can be expensive
  • Reports of long waits for refunds

Bottom Line

Vantage Deluxe is a tour operator that hosts vacations and adventures all over the world. It offers river and ocean cruises, land tours, safaris and more for solo travelers and groups. It also handles airline and hotel bookings.

Top Vantage Deluxe World Travel Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

After a disastrous river cruise with Viking just 6 months ago, we were a little nervous about what we could expect on our long-planned Douro River cruise with Vantage in April. Th...

Verified

We loved this river cruise. Our tour director, George, was fantastic... always around, very helpful, funny, and very knowledgeable! Food was great, tour guides at each port were e...

What is Vantage Deluxe?

Vantage Deluxe is a group tour operator. The company, which has been in business since 1983, offers both cruise and land tours worldwide, as well as an around-the-world cruise option. Its adventures include safaris and historical, culinary and art tours, and it takes travelers to some uncommon destinations like Antarctica. You can also book a solo journey or join a group tour and request a roommate match.

How does Vantage Deluxe work?

Vantage Deluxe handles nearly every aspect of its trips for you. Most tours include:

• Roundtrip airfare
  • Centrally located hotels with private facilities
  • Baggage handling
  • Comprehensive tours with experienced tour directors
  • Most meals, including daily breakfast
  • Cultural connections, including lectures, visits with locals and other interactive activities

The Vantage Deluxe website provides a day-by-day breakdown of each trip it offers, including meals and likely hotels. Once you book your tour, you can access all pertinent information (like whether or not you need a visa or vaccinations) on the Vantage Deluxe website.

Vantage Deluxe costs

Vantage Deluxe’s prices depend on your destination and the length of your trip. Typically, its vacation prices are:

• Under 20 days: $3,500 to $13,000
  • 20 to 40 days: $7,200 to $23,600
  • 40 to 90 days: $20,000 to $47,000
  • 90 to 112 days: $48,000 to $63,200

Vantage Travel also provides several money-saving opportunities, including last-minute deals, airfare sales and rewards programs.

Vantage Deluxe FAQ

Does Vantage Deluxe charge for cancellations?
Yes, Vantage Deluxe charges for cancellations, though you can buy travel protection that offers reimbursement or company vouchers. Otherwise, cancellation fees depend on when you cancel:
  • 121+ days prior to departure: $300 per person
  • 120 to 91 days prior to departure: 40% of selling price per person
  • 90 to 61 days prior to departure: 65% of selling price per person
  • 60 to 0 days prior to departure (including no-shows): 100% of selling price per person
Where does Vantage Deluxe go?
Vantage Deluxe travels worldwide, including within the U.S., Canada, Europe, Africa, Antarctica and more. It also offers a single trip that takes you around the world.
Does Vantage Deluxe arrange flights?
Yes, but you can customize flight reservations, including for discounted upgrades.
Does Vantage Deluxe offer vacations for solo travelers?
Yes, Vantage Deluxe offers several solo journeys; you can also join a group and request free roommate matching.

Is Vantage Deluxe worth it?

Vantage Deluxe’s adventures vary greatly in cost, and they’re not affordable for everyone. If you can afford it and want a guided educational or adventurous travel experience, this company might be the right fit. Like other travel companies, Vantage Deluxe is taking extra precautions, including booking journeys as far ahead as 2023, to encourage safety for participants during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Vantage Deluxe World Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vantage Deluxe World Travel?

Original review: May 11, 2022

We booked a cruise 4-13-21 and canceled 1-22-22, received two letters. One 1-22-22 stating we would receive a refund for 14,510. On 4-22-22 we received another letter stating we would receive a refund for 14,510, it is now May and all I get is the run around that I am in the Queue.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Two big problems with Vantage. First, I canceled a trip that was paid for, 6 weeks later no refund. They can not tell me when the refund will be made. Second, they rescheduled a tour for 2021, to 2022, and then again to 2023. Since they did not cancel, just rescheduled, no refund. Because of the above, I think they may be going out of business. Poor way to run a business. Stay away from this company.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2022

We booked a cruise in January 2021 and paid in cash upfront. The cruise was for May, 2022. Unfortunately we had to cancel due to family matters, and we did so well within the guidelines of our contract. Now, six months after cancellation, they refuse to refund that large sum of money, although they have acknowledged in writing that they owe it to us. Further, they refuse to tell us when they will pay us back. A shoddy organization with no intention of living up to their promises.

Original review: April 7, 2022

RE: Heart of Brazil. Having written to you, and called multiple times, with no response to my letters and calls, I am writing one last time, and hopefully this letter will gain a response. As you are aware, the trip Heart of Brazil was cancelled totally. It was NOT postponed, and to date, no reason was given. Today, I received a new Vantage Travel book (159 pages) with a full listing of all of your trips. Nowhere is Heart of Brazil listed. In reading carefully the Tour Participation Agreement, on the last page, under Alterations and Modifications, top of third paragraph, it states ”If the tour is canceled by Vantage for any reason, Vantage shall have no liability beyond the prompt REFUND of all tour participants’ payments received.”

On 12/05/21, I paid you in full for my tour, by giving you access to my account for a direct withdrawal. Big mistake! In addition, I did pay for Travel Protection…. Which reads ”with the Vantage 100%Travel Protection Plan, you can cancel your trip for any reason right up until you depart and still retain full value. After you pay, you receive this notice, Travel Protection fees are not refundable.” I have not seen one review which was above 1 star. I personally would give them less.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I don't know how this company would average more than one star....although it would be zero stars if I could post that. This company needs to be shut down. IT IS A PONZI SCHEME. They have used deceptive practices to bring in large sums of money without being able to fulfill the terms they have advertised. And they refuse to refund customers' payments. My friends and I booked a "Last Minute Deal" South American cruise (Sao Paulo to Buenos Aires) with Vantage for Dec 3, 2021. The cost was $11,786. The tour was cancelled three weeks later because the countries' ports-of-call were closed, and had been closed for quite some time, due to Covid. Vantage response to our demand for a refund was: "We had to modify your tour due to government restrictions on travel. We made every effort to continue operating as scheduled; however, due to circumstances outside Vantage's control, we are unable to operate as originally scheduled."

This material fact was not disclosed to us at the time of booking. The company has declared the trip "postponed" and under their terms and conditions, they do not issue refunds for "postponements". (There seems to be some discussion on the www that denying refunds under these circumstances is not legal in Massachusetts, their home state.)

Regardless, this failure to disclose is fraud in the inducement as we booked the tour at the last minute deal based the price and time frame. The company cannot hide behind the terms of their "contract" when they knew at the time of the booking that they could not fulfill their terms of the bargain. We never had a legal, binding agreement. I pointed out the fallacy of their ways, but their staff cling to the notion that our money is now their money. This is a corrupt business and should be put out of business. Others will continue to be defrauded out of millions of dollars until they are stopped. I have written complaints to the Massachusetts attorney general's office and my home state's. I hope they do something sooner rather than later.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

This company is completely non-responsive to the average traveler. They NEVER answer their phone. Have waited on hold for hours and no one picks up. Today was our departure day. The countries we were to visit are in Level 4 alerts for COVID. This is of no concern to Vantage. One of the countries where we were to spend several days visiting is in complete lockdown for vaccinated as well as unvaccinated people. This is of no concern to Vantage. Their solution was just to "surprise" us with a new itinerary. We would not even known this but for the fact that the group leader was able to get through with her "magic" phone number. No information from them came to us directly.

Vantage was of no help in every step along the way in the preparation for this trip. There were forms to fill out, covid testing to be done 72 hours before the trip and no one could help facilitate any of this. They NEVER answer their phone. Their "chat" line on the customer website site goes unanswered. We heard that this MUST be done to go and that MUST be done 72 hours before the flight to board. But no one from Vantage was helpful in facilitating and of the MUSTS.

To send a group of most elderly people to countries where covid is at a level 4 with no option for a cancelation is unscrupulous. From the reviews we have read, this company is in a dire financial situation and because of this has no regard for the customers they have duped. We made the decision to not go on the trip. We will try to recoup some of our money or take a voucher for another trip but don't hold out hope for either. However, we felt our money was wasted if we went or if we didn't so we opted to not go and save ourselves the agony of traveling in lock downed countries, not seeing the sites we had planned to see and generally being masked up at every turn. Not our idea of a fun time.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

After many very good Vantage tours in the past, we booked Luxury on the Nile for 2020, with both the extensions, business class upgraded airfare, insurance, and the highest class cabin. We paid in advance. With COVID, Vantage of course cancelled our 2020 trip and scheduled us for 2021. Unfortunately, they later cancelled our preextension, so we looked to 2022, but no date with all of our purchases was available. So then we looked to 2023 and found a date with all the previously paid for items available. Problem solved, right? WRONG! Vantage insists we have to pay over $7,000 more to get what we already have paid for. They also tell us they will refuse to refund our original purchase price! We really want to do this tour in 2023 and have done many very fine tours before with Vantage. Their stubborn unwillingness to make good on our purchased tour and price means they have lost our confidence.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

On August 13, 2019, we made a reservation for departure on May 10, 2020. We paid in full at the time the reservation was completed (Invoice/Reservation #......-..). We had enjoyed previous trips with Vantage. Due to serious acute medical problems, non-COVID-19, in January 2020, we cancelled our reservation on February 4, 2020, with Cristina, Concierge, who directed us to the “Cancel Team”. We called that day and followed all the steps in their voice message. Nick in the Cancellation Department called us later that day and confirmed our refund of $15,287.00 plus Trip Mate refund that would take 30 days to process.

On February 5, 2020, Henry ** sent a letter “keeping you in our thoughts and wishes you a full and speedy recovery”. March 11, 2020, WHO declared the COVID-19 pandemic, which we are sure Vantage knew about months before and we know the pandemic has been devastating for the travel industry. That being acknowledged, we still awaited our refund. May 8, 2020, I spoke with Patrick, Concierge, who confirmed the amount of our refund, said “refunds are processed by the date submitted… Haven’t yet processed cancellations dated February 4, 2020… No estimate of when it would be processed”.

On August 14, 2020, Vantage Customer Care replied to my email inquiry, “I see that your refund was initiated on 2/4/20.” Then stated, “staff limited... vendors backed up… working diligently…just going to take longer than normal.” On June 15, 2021, I emailed Vantage at Customercare@vantagetravel.com providing our Account #, Invoice/Reservation #, PO Code, requesting an update on when our refund could be expected. We did not receive a response by email, phone or mail which is exceedingly disappointing and very poor customer service!

Almost daily we receive a large volume of mailings and emails with travel itinerary information and continue today. Regrettably, serious ongoing medical problems prevent us from traveling now and making plans far out in the future. Now, over two (2) years after paying in full for our reservation and 19 months after cancelling, we have certainly not forgotten the Vantage promise of our confirmed refund and would appreciate the courtesy of communication informing us when we can expect our refund.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I booked a trip to Egypt for December 2021. I had questions about final payment and a misspelling of a name. Customer service never picks up after long wait times. Chat does not work. I wrote 5 emails with no response to my questions other than to look online. Covid is not an excuse. I traveled to Botswana in April and was in contact with company in US the entire time. I will not travel with a company with no service personnel. I just cancelled by mail but I guess they will figure it out when they get no money. I will stick to companies I know that provide personal service and that will answer questions. Might cost a bit more but worth peace of mind. Go elsewhere!!

Original review: July 23, 2021

I paid for "France Culinary Delights". They canceled the tour and substituted "Gems of the Seine". They refuse to refund my payment even though the terms state that they will return all payments promptly if the tour is canceled. They refuse all phone communication. Their terms state that they are registered with the California seller of travel program. The Office of the Attorney General states that that is not true.

Vantage Deluxe World Travel Company Information