Boston

3.6/5 (394 ratings)

About Vantage Deluxe World Travel

Vantage Deluxe World Travel provides European river cruises and travel adventures in more than 80 countries across all seven continents. The company offers solo and group trips that take travelers to a variety of worldwide destinations. It also handles meals, itineraries and airline and hotel bookings.

Pros

• Operates all over the world
  • Solo and group adventures available
  • Website offers ways to save money

Cons

• Can be expensive
  • Reports of long waits for refunds

Bottom Line

Vantage Deluxe is a tour operator that hosts vacations and adventures all over the world. It offers river and ocean cruises, land tours, safaris and more for solo travelers and groups. It also handles airline and hotel bookings.

Top Vantage Deluxe World Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vantage Deluxe World Travel?

Verified

After a disastrous river cruise with Viking just 6 months ago, we were a little nervous about what we could expect on our long-planned Douro River cruise with Vantage in April. Th...

Verified

We loved this river cruise. Our tour director, George, was fantastic... always around, very helpful, funny, and very knowledgeable! Food was great, tour guides at each port were e...

What is Vantage Deluxe?

Vantage Deluxe is a group tour operator. The company, which has been in business since 1983, offers both cruise and land tours worldwide, as well as an around-the-world cruise option. Its adventures include safaris and historical, culinary and art tours, and it takes travelers to some uncommon destinations like Antarctica. You can also book a solo journey or join a group tour and request a roommate match.

How does Vantage Deluxe work?

Vantage Deluxe handles nearly every aspect of its trips for you. Most tours include:

• Roundtrip airfare
  • Centrally located hotels with private facilities
  • Baggage handling
  • Comprehensive tours with experienced tour directors
  • Most meals, including daily breakfast
  • Cultural connections, including lectures, visits with locals and other interactive activities

The Vantage Deluxe website provides a day-by-day breakdown of each trip it offers, including meals and likely hotels. Once you book your tour, you can access all pertinent information (like whether or not you need a visa or vaccinations) on the Vantage Deluxe website.

Vantage Deluxe costs

Vantage Deluxe’s prices depend on your destination and the length of your trip. Typically, its vacation prices are:

• Under 20 days: $3,500 to $13,000
  • 20 to 40 days: $7,200 to $23,600
  • 40 to 90 days: $20,000 to $47,000
  • 90 to 112 days: $48,000 to $63,200

Vantage Travel also provides several money-saving opportunities, including last-minute deals, airfare sales and rewards programs.

Vantage Deluxe FAQ

Does Vantage Deluxe charge for cancellations?
Yes, Vantage Deluxe charges for cancellations, though you can buy travel protection that offers reimbursement or company vouchers. Otherwise, cancellation fees depend on when you cancel:
  • 121+ days prior to departure: $300 per person
  • 120 to 91 days prior to departure: 40% of selling price per person
  • 90 to 61 days prior to departure: 65% of selling price per person
  • 60 to 0 days prior to departure (including no-shows): 100% of selling price per person
Where does Vantage Deluxe go?
Vantage Deluxe travels worldwide, including within the U.S., Canada, Europe, Africa, Antarctica and more. It also offers a single trip that takes you around the world.
Does Vantage Deluxe arrange flights?
Yes, but you can customize flight reservations, including for discounted upgrades.
Does Vantage Deluxe offer vacations for solo travelers?
Yes, Vantage Deluxe offers several solo journeys; you can also join a group and request free roommate matching.

Is Vantage Deluxe worth it?

Vantage Deluxe’s adventures vary greatly in cost, and they’re not affordable for everyone. If you can afford it and want a guided educational or adventurous travel experience, this company might be the right fit. Like other travel companies, Vantage Deluxe is taking extra precautions, including booking journeys as far ahead as 2023, to encourage safety for participants during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Vantage Deluxe World Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vantage Deluxe World Travel?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

When booking a cruise I purchased "cancel for any reason" coverage. I cancelled following all the documentation requirements five months ago and have been lied to by the insurer, Allianz, about the status of our claim. They have said by the "examiner" that the claim will be finalized in seven days many times. Both Vantage and the insurer, Allianz claims department, will not transfer the claimant to any responsible person in the company to whom I can complain about this long overdue monetary claim.

Resolution response: Nov. 17, 2022

I recently was able to make contact with the company by phone after only a 15 minute period on hold - previously such waits (I was advised) would be more lengthy. The person with whom I worked was very helpful and resolved all of the outstanding questions/problems I had. I wish that this had been possible long ago, and I had been spared the several difficulties I've had with the company. It appears that everything has been settled and, assuming that the trip actually departs, all should be fine. As I said originally, the one trip we had previously with Vantage was a good trip. I fervently hope that this will be its equal.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

This is the most frustrating company I've ever worked with. I will say that we had a cruise with them in 2016 to Croatia that went wonderfully. I should also say that it was a replacement for a Greece trip that didn't sail because 'the ship wasn't ready.' Since then, I've had nothing but trouble. Two additional Greece trips were 'postponed' - I use that word because if they'd been 'canceled,' I'd have my money back. ('Cancel' is a word that Vantage sedulously avoids.) In the second of these Greece cruises, we weren't even notified it wouldn't happen. I had checked on our flight with the airline only to find I no longer had a reservation. The air department of Vantage confirmed that the cruise had been aborted.

Vantage denied that no notice had been given, saying there were e-mails sent, but, oddly, no one in our group of six got the alleged e-mail. I've since tried to use the money they've locked up by setting up another trip, but getting it arranged according to the specifics I requested (including not going over the amount we had on the books with them) only to have it come back with a bill for an additional $4,800. I might be able to work around this if I could get someone on the phone, but they insist you use the Chat. I did. I was told that the representative didn't work with the flight department and couldn't help me. This wasn't the first run-around I've had with them - an earlier attempt to schedule a trip by phone directed me to use e-mail. I did and that's when I got the bill for additional $4,800.

Were I unaccustomed to dealing with travel companies, I might think this is typical - it is NOT. We have our eighth trip with Viking coming up soon and 1) can always talk to a representative, 2) have always been treated fairly and recompensed when an experience wasn't a good one (due to a Covid outbreak and an interrupted trip), 3) treated respectfully and above board, and 4) constantly kept informed about our upcoming trip and any requirements we should note. If you're considering using Vantage, I suggest you look for alternative companies to serve you. "Serve" is not a term with which Vantage is familiar.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

I am having the same issue with Vantage World Wide Travel and Ocean Odyssey. The ship is still being built and they are still selling trips on this ship for this year. I would love to join a lawsuit against them. This company has had my money since 2019. They need to be investigated for their illegal practices.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

Anyone else out there having same same experience with Vantage and Ocean Odyssey? Is it time for legal action? Contact me - I'm on Facebook. I have the travel insurance the company offered thru Allianz [cancellation for any reason] but it appears to be worthless in getting a refund.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

From start to finish with this company was a mess. We got to the airport at 6:30am only to find the airline cancelled our flight!! We were SHOWN by the carrier where they had notified Vantage days before but never heard a peek about it from Vantage so had to wait at the airport for 9 hours until the next flight was available missing the "Meet your fellow travelers" banquet dinner!!

The "pick up" shuttle we paid a lot extra for was very late as well. Then several times there were no buses at the locations we had planned to stop at. They didn't even know the causeway between Nova Scotia and Cape Bretton was closed so we missed a visit to two places we would have seen because we had to go ALL the way around the island to continue our trip in rough seas! There were so many changes and substitutes made without our consent it got to be a joke amongst the passengers when we were told with actual booing to the coordinators! NEVER again for these gangsters!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

BEWARE of lack of service... UN-able to contact "Flight Choice Services" by Option #3; after hours of waiting on hold several times... Always connected to customer services where reps are UN-able to Help with required flight changes? -- HOW do you get required assistance? Vantage reps online, by phone, by Facebook, etc are UN-able to Help or explain WHY is Vantage phone lines connections NOT working properly & connecting us to "Flight Choice Services"? Please advise HOW we get to "Flight" department for fully paid & booked trip with IN-correct flights scheduled?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

On April 19, 2021, when my wife and I, along with six additional alumni friends, booked rooms/suites on the Vantage Deluxe World Travel "Ocean Odyssey" for the "Pearls of Greece and the Dalmation Coast" 16-day cruise from Athens, Greece to Zagreb, Croatia scheduled to depart on October 18-31, 2022, we had no way of knowing that the "M/S Ocean Odyssey" HAD NOT BEEN BUILT YET.

The builder of the vessel, Sunstone Ships, of Miami, Florida was in dire financial trouble. In the summer of 2021, Mr. Niels-Erik Lund, Chairman of Sunstone stated, "2020 became the worst financial year in the combined Sunstone/ISP's 31-year history..." Mr. Lund further remarked, "We expect that 2021 will be as bad as 2020..." Yes, Vantage Travel "charters" its expeditionary ships (M/S Ocean Explorer & M/S Ocean Odyssey) from Sunstone Ships.

In order to get the best price on the expected voyage, on April 15, 2021, my wife and I paid Vantage $17,398.00 for the October 2022 cruise. That was a HUGE mistake. The Ocean Odyssey was being built for Sunstone Ships by China Merchants Heavy Industry of Jiangsu, China. On May 12, 2022, China Merchants Heavy Industry "walked out of the contract" to build the Ocean Odyssey according to Mr. Lund. Calls and emails to Sunstone Ships regarding the status of the Ocean Odyssey are referred to Vantage Travel.

On September 7, 2022, a senior representative for the designers of the Ocean Odyssey in Norway stated that the ship was not yet completed, but that the "latest rumors from China is that the ship will be delivered by end of September." If the "rumor" is true, that would leave 16 days for the ship to transit the South China Sea, the Indian Ocean, transit the Suez Canal, reach Athens, undergo "sea trials," staff, and provision the vessel before departure on October 18th. THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE. Yet, we hear NOTHING from Vantage. Vantage Travel knew or should have known that the ship would NEVER make its scheduled cruises in August and October of 2022.

We have learned that on August 18, 2022, THE DAY OF DEPARTURE for the scheduled August cruise on the Ocean Odyssey, Vantage Deluxe World Travel announced to its customers without prior warning that, "Despite our very best efforts, the m/s Ocean Odyssey will need more time to come into service" and the cruise was cancelled while people were driving to the airport! Vantage went on to say, "Passengers affected by this delay will be automatically moved to the next available itinerary. Please visit "My Portfolio" for the latest trip updates."

This is a sham! If you go to the Vantage website, you will see that all the cruises for the Ocean Odyssey are "SOLD OUT" through 2024! For those of us scheduled to depart on the October 16, 2022, "Pearls of Greece..." cruise, the lack of communications from Vantage is staggering. No one answers the phone. When you finally reach someone, they indicate they will "send a message to management" and you never hear another word. Vantage is not refunding fairs as promised (read other Consumer Affairs reviews), but they are still pushing "room upgrades" for a cruise they KNOW isn't going to occur.

FINAL STRAW: On Monday, September 12, 2022, all of my travel companions who booked airfare through Vantage were notified by the airlines that their bookings had been cancelled by VANTAGE, and the funds were returned to VANTAGE, yet, still no word from Vantage Travel itself. FYI, as of the date of this review, 13 SEP 2022, the ship's AIS "Automated Identification System" still shows the vessel parked dockside at the builder's yard in China. It is reasonable to presume that Vantage collects close to $1,440,000 per sailing in cruise charges and airfare. Where is the money going? When the trips are cancelled, it's not going back to the travelers. This is a fraud.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Before Covid, I had made full payment of $7389 on a trip to Portugal and Spain. $1799 was voucher from a previous trip I had to cancel, to be used within one year. Travel protection was $899. They refunded $415 with no explanation. I believe it was the optional tours in Madeira. I have tried from the time of Covid cancellation to get a refund. They refuse. They rebooked same trip for Oct 2021 (one year later) and gave me vouchers. Sept 2021 came and I had not heard from them with air schedule or anything. I checked with the Travel, State, Gov. Website and they advised against travel to Portugal and Spain because of unrest and a level 4 for Covid in both countries. I called Vantage and they told me they still planned to operate the trip as planned. It did not appear that they cared about their customers' safety.

I cancelled. They sent me vouchers for $3777.to be used within 15 months from the date the trip was cancelled. This amount does not include insurance or my voucher from the previous cancelled trip. I am 83 years old and travel is more difficult than it was two years ago. I cannot use the vouchers so am out $7389. I would even be happy with a portion of this amount but Vantage doesn't seem to care. I was booked during that time with two other travel companies and was refunded promptly. If anyone does decide to travel with Vantage, my advice to them would be to never pay the full amount until the last day. They are not very nice people in the customer care department and have long holds, and cut offs when you attempt to call them. There are more reputable Travel Companies. Try them first.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

In May 2021, I booked and paid for a luxury Mediterranean cruise with Vantage. In April 2022, they said the ship would not be ready in time, and I asked that my money be refunded. They owe me a lot of money! Numerous phone calls, chats, etc. and they keep telling me it's "in process".

Original review: June 30, 2022

We've been traveling the world, with numerous companies, for 50 years. This is the worst trip we have ever gone on. Other than the land portions in Boston & Montreal and some decent food and wait staff, the trip was a disaster! The Program Manager and Cruise Director were the worst we have ever encountered, even with "bargain" trips. They had never been to the most ports and knew almost nothing about them. We knew more, simply from reading articles on the Internet!

Several advertised (and included) land excursions were canceled. For example, in Gaspe, we didn’t drive along the coast, see the GeoPark, enjoy the multimedia adventure, or explore Percé. We didn’t go to the Havre St. Pancrace lookout, Glacier Center, or Glacier Garden. Others weren't canceled, but they were closed. So, we were told to "look through the windows!" One venue had been closed for two years! Two days we had land tours in school buses, because they forgot to book the tour buses in time. The heater in our school bus couldn't operate at the same time as microphone, so the windows fogged over! While Vantage materials advertised that there would be 226 or fewer people on any tour, every tour we took had 35 or more people on it. Plus, while there were QuietVox receivers in our cabin, the tours never used them. So, we could seldom hear the guides.

One port stop (Halifax) was shortened by more than an hour because they couldn't get the disembarkation stairs lined up. Another (Lunenberg) was shortened by 2 hours when they ordered the wrong size tender boats. Another stop (Pictou) was eliminated entirely. The trip advertised the pool, but it was empty. The hot tubs were usually closed and sometimes stone cold. (Someone forgot to turn on the heater.) Internet was understandably spotty, but there was also no TV reception, and no daily news.

The single entertainer was mediocre, at best. The one local group was good…but the tour director announced the wrong time, and most passengers were still in port during the entertainment. All in all, we spent more than $14,000 on a trip that was a total disaster. When asked about the best part of the trip, we both said, “when it was over!” We wrote Vantage a detailed 5-page letter explaining all the issues and asking for a partial refund. After seven weeks, we got the following email:

“Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your recent Canada’s Spring Awakening Journey. We appreciate the time you spent to share your thoughts and feedback with us. It is feedback such as yours that provides the building blocks towards successful tour programs and exceptional customer experiences.

We sincerely apologize for the aspects of your tour that did not meet your expectations. Vantage prides ourselves on providing an excellent customer touring experience. We appreciate you providing your detailed feedback which has been shared with our Operations Team so that we may improve these areas that fell below your level of expectation. Again, thank you for contacting Vantage Deluxe World Travel.” Don't book this trip through Vantage!

Vantage Deluxe World Travel Company Information