4.34/5

Boston

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1983 by entrepreneur Henry R. Lewis, Vantage Deluxe World Travel has succeeded in providing European river cruises and travel adventures to over 450,000 travelers on all seven continents, in over 80 countries. Travelers get to experience first-hand the culture of the countries they visit, including experiences like home-hosted meals, and are led by a local Program Manager. As proud sponsors of the Henry R. Lewis Foundation and many other major philanthropic efforts, Vantage Deluxe World Travel offers veterans, military family members who've lost a loved one and victims or first responders to the Boston Marathon bombing the chance to travel for free. Call Vantage Deluxe World Travel today to start your very own adventure!

Vantage Deluxe World Travel Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: July 28, 2019

This Tour was Outstanding. Starting in Jo'Berg with Soweto Tour and then going to Chobe, Hwange, and Kruger with Victoria Falls in between. Chobe was wonderful with all the river Safaris and getting up close to the animals and tracking a pride of lions down to the water hole. A special treat was the morning going out on the boats equipped with the telephoto lens camera and getting amazing shots of game and elephants crossing the river.

Our guide, Steve **, made this trip enjoyable and is a real asset to Vantage. He was with us for 20 days and kept his sense of humor and got across border crossings with a minimum of hassle-and was always there. The Victoria Hotel Falls besides being a place of history from the the old days of the British Empire was most enjoyable. I cannot imagine visiting Victoria Falls and not staying there. With a full 5 days on the extension to Cape Town (as we had a red-eye out of CPT) was a most satisfying way to end the trip-a day outing to the wine country, another day to Boulder, the penguins, and the Cape of Good Hope, Table Mountain, and then two days we we arranged trips out to Robben Island and to Kirstenbosch Gardens on our own.

This Best of Africa Tour along with the Cape Town extension is the best value, as I see it, for a tour that combines the safaris with cultural and natural wonders in this part of Africa. And I could go on and on about the Hwange tented camp which was a special venue. With this experience we are taking another tour with Vantage to South America. I am upset with them that I took the time to write a similar review for their website and it never appeared? Even after contacting them. Would seem to be in their best interest to have some updated reviews! Vantage are you reading this?

Get expert buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2019

After a disastrous river cruise with Viking just 6 months ago, we were a little nervous about what we could expect on our long-planned Douro River cruise with Vantage in April. Thank goodness, Vantage again proved that river cruising can be the most enjoyable way to travel. We started out in Lisbon and spent 3 nights there at the luxurious Pestana Palace Hotel. Lisbon was a delight. We were able to spend enough time to get a sense of the city--enough to know we want to come back!

After a coach ride to Porto (with a couple of stops along the way) we arrived at our ship, the Douro Serenity. Such a pleasure! The boat is very comfortable and the decor is both pleasing and purposeful. The crew was, as usual, excellent and could not do enough for us while we slowly cruised through some of the most beautiful scenery we've ever experienced. We like to do things on our own and this trip gave us ample opportunity to spend time in the towns where we docked, including giving us several chances to eat locally, which we love.

The cruise ended at the border between Spain and Portugal and we left our lovely boat to go to Madrid for 3 nights. Again, our accomodations were great and the hotel was located in an area where we could easily walk to the river, restaurants, shops, and cafes. Our tour of Madrid was great and we loved the charm and architectural features of the city. This was our sixth Vantage cruise and we've never been disappointed. A great company ensuring a great experience. We will sail with them again!

Vantage Deluxe World Travel response

Diane & Peter – this is your 5th trip with us, and we are happy to know that we have delivered a vacation exceeding your expectations. Its great to hear you enjoyed the accommodations at the hotels and aboard the ms Douro Serenity, as well as the itinerary, pacing and service from the crew. Cruising along the golden Douro is truly a treat. We thank you for your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you on another Vantage journey soon.

Original review: April 7, 2019

All my trips with Vantage have been wonderful, whether river boats or land tours and I constantly recommend them to my friends. My only objection is that they charge way too much for a single and only offer 1 or 2 free single supplements per trip, if they even offer them. I do not mind a small single supplement but on certain river boats they are almost charging for two people. Certainly their costs are less for food, laundry, & admissions.

Vantage Deluxe World Travel response

Leanne – we appreciate the time you’ve taken to give us your feedback. I understand that you feel the pricing for a single passenger on certain journeys may be higher than your expectations. Although pricing for single occupancy is always higher throughout the industry, Vantage is proud to be one of the leaders in being a single friendly tour operator. In fact, we were voted winner of the 2018 Solo Travel Awards in the river cruising category.

Vantage has single occupancy cabins on our owned river ships. On most of our small ship and land journeys, we typically offer at least one free single supplement per departure. These are very popular and do sell out fast. Furthermore, we offer a feature called Roommate Requests in certain categories on specific journeys. Besides offering some of the lowest single supplements in the industry, Vantage realizes the importance of single travelers and continues to explore options to be even more accommodating.

We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your past travels with Vantage and look forward to welcoming you on your upcoming journeys to Ireland, the Iberian Peninsula, and Italy.

Original review: April 7, 2019

My wife and I have been extremely happy with Vantage Travel over the past three years and the four cruises we have enjoyed. The food is always exceptional as are the ships accommodations. The biggest bonus of small ship cruising is the programs that Vantage offers its passengers. Stopping everyday and exploring the culture of whatever country we are in is the most exciting part of traveling with them. For the most part, we have had great local guides that always provide a personal touch to the location we happen to be visiting. When the guides haven't measured up to the Vantage standard, we have told the Concierge and steps have been taken to correct the issue.

My wife and I are going on another trip in June along the Dalmatian Coast and we are pretty excited about going. In my humble opinion, Vantage offers the best value for the money in a market that is full of travel companies. I get many offers from others companies, but I think I'll stay with Vantage.

Vantage Deluxe World Travel response

Scott & Lisa, we appreciate your positive comments on your journeys with Vantage. Its great to hear you have been pleased with the ships in our owned deluxe European river fleet including the cuisine, the excursions, and cultural connections. Thank you also for your commendations on the service from our tour directors and concierge. We look forward to welcoming you on your next small ship journey to Croatia and the Pearls of the Adriatic.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Rhine Jazz Discovery River Cruise - I was recently on the above river cruise, on board the Voyager. There wasn't anything to distract from a 5-star rating for this river cruise. The ship, Voyager, is a beautiful ship and the entire staff were fantastic. The Cruise Manager, Renata, and Concierge, Steve, were the best that I have ever encountered. They were sincere and always helping each of the passengers to have the best possible trip. The on-shore local guides were extremely knowledgeable and took excellent care of the group when off the ship. With open seating during meal times, I was able to meet many other passengers and made new friends, which is a benefit of river cruising. This is my 4th cruise with Vantage and would not ever think of doing a river cruise with anyone other than Vantage. Thank you Vantage for another lovely trip. Rosemary **, Fairfield Glade, Tennessee.

Vantage Deluxe World Travel response

We are thankful for this excellent feedback on your overall cruise, ‘Rhine Jazz Discovery’. Rosemary, it is great to hear you were delighted with the beautiful ship, the ms River Voyager, the cuisine, and the services from our Tour Director and concierge onboard. Making new friends on a group tour is an effortless task and a welcome perk as you discover new experiences together. Vantage is proud to be your number one choice for river cruising and looks forward to welcoming you, your friends, and family on many more journeys to come.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vantage Deluxe World Travel?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Was just looking over our itinerary and realized I had paid for our trip months ago and assumed that they had booked our airline part of the trip. Well, the info for the flights I have but they never ticketed it. I will call them today and good luck, they never answer the phone. Don't think I will ever book a trip again with Vantage.

Vantage Deluxe World Travel response

Thank you for bringing to our attention the concerns of Katherine. Vantage books a passenger's flights but does not typically ticket until approximately 45 days prior to departure. We want to ensure flexibility in case there is a program change or the passenger wants to make a change in their travel plans. However, we will gladly ticket the flights if a passenger makes this request. We hope this clarification is helpful and look forward to welcoming Katherine and Richard on this journey.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I booked travel with Vantage over a year ago. Great Northern discovery. Our trip was scheduled for September 2-15. Our return flight was scheduled for September 16 instead of on the 15. I caught the mistake the Friday before the end of the trot rip. We had bought premium economy and got Economy seats, very uncomfortable for the long flight back home. I have contacted Vantage via written letter, phone call and email with no response. I do think we should be reimbursed for the cost difference and also while waiting at the airport for tickets we had to contact Vantage several times! Poor customer service!

Vantage Deluxe World Travel response

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to address Susan’s concerns. Susan and Keith paid for premium economy but when their tickets were rebooked, the upgrade was not available on the return. A refund for that segment will be processed for Susan and Keith. We certainly apologize for the delay in resolving this issue. An email has also been sent to the passengers addressing the matter.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I have a trip booked with Vantage in October. I have had the WORST experience with Vantage. They DO NOT return phone calls and will state that they have including the Vice President of Vantage Air Department. I was home at the time of all the calls. The phone never rang nor did they ever leave a message. They booked me on Egypt Air which according to the reviews is one of the WORST airlines operating. I paid extra for business class and I understand it is horrible. Vantage DO NOT respond.

Vantage Deluxe World Travel response

Thank you for bringing Susan’s concerns to our attention. Our flights team does their best to reach out to passengers to advise of routing and carriers prior to issuing tickets. A member of our flights team has spoken to Susan to resolve this matter.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Thanks to excellent itinerary provided by Vantage, the outstanding leadership provided by Djukan **, our cruise director, and the service from crew of La Perla we just had the greatest vacation ever! This was our 9th trip with Vantage and we could never find a better company to experience the culture of the destination: the food, the home experience, the history, the government over the years, multiple locations and experiences, the music and dance, and the beauty of the entire country. Djukan was an outstanding program director and all local guides were very good. We definitely recommend this trip!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I have had nothing but problems with Vantage. The guides and others were great, but trying to deal with customer and travel dept. were the worse experience. After the cruise I was told by customer service that I could only contact by e-mail. His name is Steve. I paid for 5 people to travel on business class and went to Madeira island. When returning we had to pay for luggage as 4 were on economy. I tried to talk to someone about this problem but got nowhere. They owe me for the luggage charge. We were business class all the way. How can you get rid of bags on returning.

I had other problems. Wanted to tell Vantage how bad I had been treated, but It is evident they don’t care. I paid them over 50,000 for this family trip. I have traveled with Vantage three other times but I will never recommend them. I have a place in the Villages and will post on all publications of my ordeal. What a disappointment for what I thought would be a great Christmas Present for my family.

Vantage Deluxe World Travel response

We regret any frustration Marie experienced regarding baggage fees. Business class is not guaranteed on domestic flights. While Vantage is not responsible for baggage fees, we are willing to look into this matter and resolve it with the passenger. An email has been sent to the passenger to address the issue.

Vantage Deluxe World Travel expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Vantage Deluxe World Travel was established in 1983 when it started offering affordable deluxe travel to select groups, like teachers unions and alumni associations. Since then, the company has escorted almost half a million travelers all around the world.

• Trip options: Vantage has a wide variety of destinations and activities for travelers to choose from, including Canada, Europe, Russia, China, Latin America, and Africa. Travels can go on river cruises, small ship cruises and/or land tours.

• SmartPay discounts: When individuals pay for their trip in full in advance of their travel date, they receive a discount. Travelers who pay 15 or more months in advance receive a 12 percent discount.

• Single travelers: Those traveling alone can receive special supplements or roommate discounts when they book select cruises with Vantage. The staff also works to create a friendly environment, helping solo travelers make connections with other guests and locals.

• Loyalty rewards: Vantage rewards those who travel with them multiple times. After customers’ first trip, they receive a five percent credit for future trips, and after three trips with Vantage, customers receive free upgrades and special onboard discounts on cruises.

• Theme trips: Those with special interests can take one of Vantage’s special themed trips. Special interest options include wine and beer themed tours, nature tours, music, art and culture tours, religious tours and more.

• Best for: Vantage Deluxe World Travel is best for world travelers, frequent travelers, groups and solo travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs