2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Booking.com Reviews

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I am very pleased with Booking.com and their customer service. I recently used them to book eleven different properties on my European vacation. All but one of the properties were perfect. Unfortunately that one has a crook for an owner. When I returned I contacted Booking.com and they refunded some money I had to pay for parking I didn't receive at this property. Then the property stole $437.96 from me on my credit card. I again contacted Booking.com who just one week later fully refunded the money. Every time I called I had just a short wait and I like that you can contact them with complaints through email as well. I also wanted to mention that I had a past bad experience where a hotel said they did not have my reservations upon arrival.

I called Booking.com who found us another hotel (Nicer) and paid the difference in price. I will be staying with Booking.com but I will be encouraging them to remove this property I had the problem with from their site. I am not exaggerating that this owner steals large amounts of money from people from all over the world on a regular basis. Hopefully Booking.com will take action on that.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

When my hotel refused to refund a week in my card after I had been there for 3 months but had to leave a week early, I called Booking.com because it's where I made a reservation. The man was very sweet even though I was livid. He placed me on hold, called the front desk to attempt to negotiate my money back. He said they did they have a RIGHT to all my money. The man from Booking.com apologized and said he would refund me $25 just as an apology for the situation even though they have no control over the hotel refunded my money. I'm about to review that hotel on their website but I wanted to say that I appreciated the effort by the Booking.com rep and even the small $25 refund! First class service. Maybe you should run the hotel.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I booked the hotel thru Booking.com, and got confirmations from both booking.com and the hotel itself. I was going to arrive fairly late to my motel, 10pm or so, and told them so, I even called the motel and confirmed this, and they said the room would be held. When I arrived, they said there was a mistake, and all rooms were already given up. I was tired, and there were hotels about 15 miles away (which was the direction I was going). I did not want to waste time, I went on to the next place, and they had rooms. The room was $50 higher though than the one I had booked. I contacted booking.com, they apologized for the situation, (though I believe it was the motel's fault, not their's), and refunded me the $50 difference within one day. Excellent service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I always used Booking.com for my hotel plans and only once they almost failed me. So I got a long distance tickets to travel the other end of the world thru Booking - Turkish airlines. In the middle of the trip, I had to come back to the US so I quickly purchased one way ticket back and called Booking to let them know that I am cancelling the return portion for my first ticket. The representative was nice and said that Turkish airlines will reimburse 400$ if I schedule another flight within 12 months but it must cost at least 700$ as total for the trip.

Now after few months, I remembered that option and decided to use to make another long distance travel but when I called Booking.com they tried to reach out to Turkish airlines, where they got the answer that Turkish will reimburse only tax for the return ticket (Turkish airlines really broke my heart). But because Booking representatives understood the situation and in order to commit to what was promised reimbursed the whole ticket price to me! I really didn’t expect that. Thank you guys! You brought the best journey experience into my life.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I booked a apt for a 3 night stay in Taiwan. The owner was misleading about the check in time. Didn't tell me it was late in the day until I had paid even though when I told him our flight was arriving early he had said it was ok. And he would not provide a place to store our luggage until checking time. Since that means we would have to wander the streets for 10 hours, I called Booking.com and asked if I could cancel given the circumstances. A Booking.com agent reached out and he agreed to cancel and refund me. Then a few hours later he emailed me and said no refund. I called Booking.com again and they stepped in and gave me a refund. Their service was perfect.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: June 26, 2020

I used Booking.com for a weekend down the shore, for July 3-July 5. Was asked by the hotel owner about my childrens ages, because only children 6 years and under were free. I have 2 boys above that age, it was an additional $15.00 a night per kid and tax. Booking.com has an area on their site for the ages of your kids. I did not see it when booking so it passes me by for 2 adults and 2 kids. It is a defect on their site that is a must answer question. It should have not let me pass it by. When calling and explaining what happened the person Mark I spoke with blamed myself for not filling in the answers. He said I learned a new lesson. What nerve! So it ended up costing me $70.00 more for my trip.

When asking to speak to a manager he just left me hang there. I will not be using booking.com anymore. They don't care about you or your needs and are insensitive to their own errors. They only care that they got your money. People use these sites because it is accommodating and easier. I will be doing my own booking from now on. It cost $250.00 to cancel your reservation with booking.com, which is a hefty price to pay. Please be advised make no mistakes because it is on you. So I would advise going through it with a fine tooth comb. At least it will be right and with no hassles or extra cost when I plan my own trip. I will be sure to let everyone know about my horrible experience with you.

Original review: June 26, 2020

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020, I began a price match claim with Booking.com. I received a reply from Jesus on the same day asking me to send over screenshots of the price I was charged, the price on the website, and the website's URL to verify the price. I replied to Jesus the same day and attached the information that he asked for. I received an updated e-mail on Thursday, June 25th stating that my claim could not be completed.

I called Friday morning on June 26, and initially spoke to Daisy **. Daisy explained that the claim could not be completed because I did not supply the information that was asked for. When I explained that I did, she had it reviewed by a supervisor. Daisy returned to the phone and then stated that the claim could not be completed because it was not within 24 hours. I explained to her that I could not have reported the claim any sooner, as I booked the reservation on Monday, June 22 and reported the claim Tuesday morning on June 23rd before I checked in. Daisy told me conflicting information, so I asked to speak to a supervisor as my issue was not resolved. She told me that I could not speak to a supervisor, and when I pushed for her to connect me, she hung up on me.

I called back and spoke to Monica the same day. She explained to me that that I did file the complaint within the correct amount of time, but that she needed to place me on hold to verify my claim with a supervisor. During this time, we got disconnected. I do want to add that Monica was helpful and polite. I called back again and spoke to another female representative, whose name I did not catch. I explained to her what I described above and asked to speak to a supervisor right away because not only did I have a price match issue, but a customer service issue as well. She started out pleasant, but she also gave me similarly conflicting information.

At first, she told me the information that I provided was not valid. I told her that I fulfilled the requirements sent by Jesus and I have the documentation to prove it. She countered me and said that I did not provide what they asked for. I then read her the email from Jesus, and then she changed the reason to that I did not respond within 24 hours. I stated that I filed it as fast as I could, as I booked the reservation Monday, June 22 in the evening, and then checked the property's website to double check the amenities and saw the price variance on Tuesday morning, June 23, which is when I started the claim. She stated that in the future, I should book days in advance so that I can file my claim faster. Obviously, this was impossible and contradictory to the information that Monica gave me about the claim timeline.

I then started to question the conflicting information, requested a supervisor again, and she became agitated and stated that I could not speak to a supervisor. I stated back to her that I work in customer service, and when a customer asks to speak to a supervisor, they need to be connected. She stated that she could not do that, and that she would not help me or pacify my complaint and that we are talking in circles. At this time, I stated that I would never use Booking.com again, and that I would be writing reviews and filing complaints, and then I hung up as I waisted over two hours of my time with no results. I have never been treated so poorly by a company's customer service. I filed a complaint with the BBB on Friday, June 26, 2020 and I am awaiting a response.

Original review: June 24, 2020

My booking got canceled by the hotel for free 4 months ago and even though I called Booking.com and hotel couple of times they still didn't send my money back. I will try to solve this in a legal way and WILL NEVER USE BOOKING.COM AGAIN. DONT USE THIS WEBSITE, THEY STEAL YOUR MONEY. That simple.

Original review: June 23, 2020

I don't really have the energy to rehash how poor the customer service is with this company and type it all up. Here's what I'll say - I will never book another hotel, flight, rental car, or anything else from Booking.com and I would suggest that ANYONE go elsewhere to book a trip... They won't even allow you to review them on their own website until you book another trip. Do your part to put these miserable people out of business.

Original review: June 21, 2020

Seriously - you can try on your own and then wish you had read reviews. The hidden extra fees don't show up until it's too late. I have not had this with other online services like Priceline, Expedia or Hotels. So, back to those next time.

Booking.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team