1.21/5

Looking for a travel site?

2758 Booking.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

When I booked my reservations for 3 rooms, Booking.com wanted to charge $14.50 per person for breakfast in advance. I even got a reminder email from them 2 days before my stay to say I haven't bought breakfast yet. I didn't buy it because I was not sure that we would be eating at the hotel. When I checked in, the front desk agent said breakfast was included in the room rate and she told me that they had spoken to Booking.com several times about doing this before but they are still trying to charge for a free breakfast.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The room was cold and dirty and Booking.com took zero responsibility. They were less than helpful and said that I should have talked to the manager before leaving. There was no one on the premises to talk to. I don’t believe that someone who rents a dirty room can do better on the second try. I stayed for one night and paid for seven. Losing the money was better than staying in that **.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I was booked Chalukya Comforts hotel in Chikmagalur- (confirmation number - ** - pin - **) through Booking.com. When I went for check in the hotel the hotel personnel told me, "All rooms are occupied so cancel your booking." Then I called 10 times to Booking.com local support number but no one picked my call then I sent email to Booking.com. After 2 hours they sent me email saying that, "Hotel rooms are full so you can take another hotel," which is higher side budget. So it was very bad experience with Booking.com. Local support from Booking.com is not well. Always we need to contact international call center personnel for any query. Need to improve your local support @booking.com.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Booked a great rate at the JW Marriott in Santa Monica. Booking.com cancelled my reservation after I had a confirmation. We had already booked airfare and rental car. Any decent hotel is double the price now. That's why we booked the "great" Booking.com rate. They blame Marriott and Marriott blamed them. I don't know who to believe but we still need to find accommodations and we'll never use Booking.com again.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I just contacted the hotel directly again and spoke with Tamara, front desk agent and sales manager. I was able to make a reservation for Friday and Saturday as needed when I changed the room from a king to double queen. However, I did take the last room for this. In addition, Tamara updated me that she has been dealing with Booking.com for months. Booking.com is not authorized to sell rooms for this hotel. And Choice Hotels has been unable to get them to stop!! I wonder how many other hotels they sell rooms for that they are not authorized to do so?

Apparently what happens is Booking sends the reservations they have made for the hotel only a week before the date of the reservation. The sales manager at the hotel now has to deal with the fallout of this. She states that she has to go through a list on a weekly basis to notify Booking.com of each reservation that has been made that is not valid. It is supposed to be up to Booking.com to contact all the people that booked with them to let them know that a room is not actually available.

This of course is a huge hassle for the guest to deal with so close to their scheduled trip. She continued to inform me that Booking.com often does NOT contact everyone and she has a guest arrive who of course is furious as they don't have a room. She does try to help them locate another hotel, but instructs them they will have to contact Booking.com directly, probably sit on hold for an hour and then informs the guest of the policy; that Booking.com has to pay that they are responsible for relocating you and if they cannot find a similar hotel at the same price they are responsible for paying the difference. In short AVOID Booking.com at all costs as you will have no way of knowing if you actually have a room!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I made a reservation on 9/6/2018 with booking.com, as our family is traveling to San Marcos for my sons college graduation. My reservation number through booking.com is **. I also have a pin number that was assigned with this reservation. I tried to edit the reservation to extend it for an additional night. The booking.com website said that there were no rooms available for the Saturday 12/16/2018 that I was trying to add.

I am aware that sites such as this only have access to so many rooms, so I contacted the hotel reservation number. The nationwide reservation number was unable to locate my reservation for Friday 12/14/2018. I ended the call with them and contacted the hotel directly in San Marcos. The gentleman I spoke with was also unable to locate my reservation and proceeded to tell me that the hotel is sold out for that Friday evening, so I could not even book it directly with him. He went on to say that they have had problems as of late with others showing up with reservations made on Booking.com and the hotel has no record of their reservation and unfortunately when these people arrived the hotel was sold out and they had no place to stay!!

Thank goodness I tried to make a change to this reservation or I would have arrived and had no place to stay in a town that will most likely be sold out that weekend due to the college graduation!! I am relieved that I did not prepay for this room or I would be dealing with filing a fraud charge on my credit card as well. I have never before used a website such as this (for this very reason) and will NEVER do so again. I certainly will NEVER recommend booking.com to anyone as their practice of making non-existent reservations is FRAUDULENT!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

The Howard Johnson's Okay for a $40 Hotel but I got taken and I am so embossed I was such an idiot. Booking.com charged me $174.00 final price for 2 nights. A week later I now see the same room for $40.00 a night. With taxes and 2 night I figured I paid in excess of about $85.00. I will never book on Booking.com again. Signed "ripped off".

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We booked a vacation home 5 weeks in advance of our trip and Booking.com sent an email the day before we were to check in letting us know they had double booked the home by accident. They offered us rooms at a ** hotel 30 min away from our destination. We had invited friends to share the house with us and booking.com would not rent the only house available in the area for us because it was more expensive than our rental. They ruined our vacation, embarrassed us in front of our family and friends and did nothing to make it right. A horrible experience, save yourself time, money and embarrassment by not even visiting their website. Their customer service is in a foreign country and you are talking to a human that has memorized lines to repeat back to you with not one care for your experience.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

So angry with customer service who needs to change their name to rude no service as three workers said they have to call you back to verify your security on what??? Settling a dispute! Two never called, told third person to not hang up do not hang up and asks 8x to speak with manager and NEVER would she connect me to supervisor and then hang up on me! She did call back and then said, "I have to call you in ten minutes. I can't help you but now I have verified your number I will call you back in 10 min." And hung up again!!!

Wtf? You hang up on your customers who are already upset about a booking and calling you after being on hold 3x for 10 min and you hang up on them when they say don't; you call them back and say, "I have to call you back in 10 min. I can't help you right now"??? What is this? What business runs this way. HUGE problem with past horrible hotel booking and can't even get a human to act human on their customer service site. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE people who lie like the hotel lied about the room we booked. WOW just awful so angry at Booking.com right now. You guys have lost all credibility as a business. You have nothing to help customers that book and trust you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I will never use Booking.com again. After reserving three rooms for two nights at the Super Eight, I learned that I needed to make some changes to the room types and names of the guests. I called Super Eight to make these changes, but was told that since I had originally made my reservation through Booking.com, I would have to go through them to make the changes. It was a huge hassle, with lots of back and forth confusing messages that ultimately resulted in me paying $55 more than the originally quoted price even though I was bringing fewer guests. Also, when we finally did arrive at the hotel, we were told that we couldn't pay using any credit card other than the one on the original reservation.

This, even though I had contacted Booking.com ahead of time to say that we would probably be paying with a different credit card and asked if it was okay, and they assured me that it was! When I explained this to Super Eight, they said, "This is our policy, not Booking.com's, and Booking.com can't speak for us." Well, if that's the case, then why wasn't I allowed to talk with you directly when I first wanted to make the changes? What a nuisance! Basically, Booking.com is a huge waste of time that doesn't actually save you any money and results in no flexibility once the reservation is made. Major buyer's remorse here.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Hotel was not habitable, looked like a halfway house. I was immediately attacked by 20-30 fleas in almost seconds. I checked out as fast as possible (5min). Called Booking and was on hold for over an hour. All any customer rep could tell me was that the hotel denies everything. I ended up paying twice as much for a old Ramada Inn, which was 1000% better than that ** hole that was on Bookings site. I wouldn't want my dog to stay there. Buyer beware!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

We had a terrible experience with our first time using Booking.com. We got a different room than we booked. At first we were told by the hotel that this is because they received a request for a rollover bed, which at least didn't come from us. When we were calling Booking.com what's going on, they first told me the same reason as the hotel did - someone made the request. When we told them that's not possible, they tell us that this is because we arrived late. However, we did early check in through phone. And when booking the room, it says, "Your estimated time of arrival (optional). 24-hour front desk: You can arrive anytime you want – your room will be ready at 3:00 PM."

It's optional to put down the time of arrival. We put it down only to make it easier for the hotel. However, the staff at booking.com insisted that it's a special request to arrive late and it needs to be approved by the hotel. When we ask them how do we know if it's approved, they say that we would've received a confirmation from the hotel. We did receive confirmation from both Booking.com and the hotel. Neither of the letters mentioned there's any problem with our arrival time. Then how would one know if there's a problem with the reservation?

It's not a big problem. Maybe the hotel ran out of rooms that we want. We would happily accommodate if we are told it's the case. However, from beginning to end during the communication, the customer service and hotel insisted that it's something that we did caused this problem. I don't think it's the right attitude to serve and grow as a business.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Booking never informed me they were going to charge me a $15 service fee. Had I known I would have called the hotel directly or through Expedia who does not charge their customers anything. I will never use them again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Oh jeez where to begin. I used Booking.com because it was recommended by a friend. This was absolutely a clear mistake as when I began complaining and warning my other friends about my experience they responded to me with a basic "no duh" and told me about their negative experiences as well. I traveled to Amsterdam and used Booking.com to book a stay at "The Flower Market Hotel". Now let me tell you that this place was not a hotel by any stretch of the imagination. We had to walk 2 blocks away just to check in, and when we got to the location of the "front desk" we were greeted with a locked door. Fortunately I had 2g connection from my carrier which was just enough to search my emails for their contact information. After I found the number, this gentleman told me the key-card was hidden in a basket in front of our door. Great! Totally secure!

Anyway, we get to the "hotel" and up we go, straight up 4 flights of stairs. These stairs were narrow thin and steep, honestly closer to the ladders that you would use to get into an attic. Honestly I didn't mind it, I embraced both the authenticity of this experience along with the challenge of lugging up 2 40 lb suitcases. I felt all manly and cool flexing for my girlfriend (lucky that we are skinny types too, other Americans wouldn't have been so lucky). I promise you I'm definitely the happy go lucky type! I don't normally complain. We made it to the top floor and guess what! We get to share the floor with a boiler room! Great! We open the door to our room and it is barely big enough to hold the queen bed that they provided. There was no ventilation, no air conditioning, the bathroom was a closet with a toilette, it must have been over 90 degrees in there!

Outside it was cool enough to wear a hoodie! One of the windows was nailed shut and the other was an unsecured window that could be opened by anyone from the roof next to us freely. The room was nothing at all like the one we requested. I looked at my girlfriend and said "nothing like the authentic experience, I'm sure it will cool down at night." We decided that since it's Amsterdam we would be out most of the day anyway. We went out for a late dinner and came back... boy was that room hot. Honestly a less healthy person could die in that space, we couldn't breathe. I was wetting towels in cold water and wiping down our naked bodies just to keep cool while looking for a new space to stay. We started to look up more in depth reviews for Flower Market at this point. WOW did they have some bad reviews that were all buried amongst good reviews that didn't at all match the experience we promised.

How could Booking allow them to continue doing business and hide all of these bad reviews, especially since at a closer look many of them mentioned bedbugs!? The next morning I called Flower Market and told them to cancel my reservation, this was unsafe and unacceptable. They offered to get us another fan (we already had 2 left to us) and we told them politely that we had already booked another hotel as we could not weather another night in those conditions. From this moment forward the Flower Market "hotel" would be unresponsive to any of my inquiries or followups about resolving the issue. Enter Booking.com customer service. Now don't get me wrong, some of these people are polite, others not so much. One of the representatives that I spoke with on the phone told me that I shouldn't have picked a hotel with a bad review.

I personally didn't think that 6.5 was a bad review, first of all reviews are subjective, second of all 6.5 is on the lower side of average. It took them a month of back and forth just to get me a 50% refund after facing a bait and switch scenario. Booking.com does not protect its customers, only the product that it is listing. IN hindsight I would have not accepted any refund and gone to my credit card company for a chargeback. At least my card company would go up to bat against me instead of incentivizing hotel listing companies to bait and switch with the best case scenario being getting a customer for your overpriced product and the worst case scenario being getting to keep half of the deposit.

You know what, honestly part of this is my fault for not digging to the deepest reviews and giving the hotel the benefit of the doubt, some of your reviewers out there are seriously picky or complain too much about things that don't matter to me. I also believe in second chances and the occasional mistake. I tried to explain to Booking.com that they are incentivizing bad actors, and I begged them to take down the listing since it is a danger to future visitors and that they had a plethora of bad reviews including BED BUGS! Honestly, Booking.com HQ is in AMSTERDAM. A simple 5 MINUTE WALK AWAY FROM THE FLOWER MARKET "HOTEL". How could they not have taken down this listing by now?!

This is the real reason for the 1 star review. Sure they didn't protect me and they choose bad actors over clients but at the end of the day this place is a health hazard with multiple bad reviews and they didn't remove the listing. If I could do it again I probably would have filed a suit and spent the money out of my pocket just to make sure that one day somebody doesn't get hurt in these abysmal conditions. Honestly If you book with these guys in Amsterdam you can skip the Anne Frank house because you will get that experience right there.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I made my reservation ** at Homestay amidst greenery in Gokarna, by GuestHouser 61100, check-in date 2018-09-29, and check-out date 2018-10-02. I made a reservation with Guest House and the Homestay was unable to accommodate me. Yes, I was charged for the reservation with the Homestay amidst greenery in Gokarna, by GuestHouser 61100 for Rs 14,646 for 3 nights. At last minute, I came to know by visiting the homestay that my booking has been cancelled. Then, I called Booking.com and they ask us to wait as they are searching for new accommodation. But, unfortunately Booking.com was not able to give us new hotel and they said that my money will be refunded back within 6-7 business days and this was conveyed to me by e-mail. I requested them to refund me back with the amount ASAP as it's already delayed much. In spite of sending mails again and again, they are not replying. I had worst experience with Booking.com.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I will never use Booking.com again! Due to personal health issues, I make certain to book all travel accommodations that have No-Cancellation fees.

Very recently I booked a, No-Cancellation Fee, overnight hotel stay in NYC through Booking.com. Minutes later upon receiving the email confirmation I saw an email staying there was an automatic $271 Cancellation Fee.

I immediately called Booking.com to ask why the confirmation email stated there would now be a Cancellation Fee. I explained to the representative that I am certain I made a reservation that had No-Cancellation Fee, as I always do. He then told me he understood there was a discrepancy and there would be no fee from Booking.com for canceling, but that it would be up to the hotel to waive the fee of $271. He offered to call the hotel to try to resolve the issue while I was on hold. While I was on hold, I used my husband’s cell phone and I took it upon myself to also call the hotel to find out if they would waive this mysterious cancellation fee. The hotel representative said that because I was not only canceling under 24 hours after booking (but within the hour of booking), they would disregard the reservation altogether and there would be no fee.

Fast forward almost 10 days, after speaking to several of the hotel’s representatives and numerous calls/emails with Booking.com, I received an email stating that the hotel was requesting PROOF of my medical reasons for needing to cancel. I called the hotel who again said that this was not necessary and waiving the fee was up to Booking.com??? There is NO WAY I am going to disclose my personal medical information, much less provide official medical documentation to strangers over the matter of a hotel reservation and had to threaten to escalate matters to a legal level if Booking.com continued to harass me over $271 fee that they mysteriously created on my initial No-Cancellation Fee reservation.

After reiterating the issue again and again, I relayed to both the hotel and Booking.com, that I have already received an email stating that this matter had been resolved and the reservation had been canceled free of charge. After requesting to speak to a higher authority (management/supervisor) in hopes to resolve this matter, the Booking.com representative completely ignored my requests and kept on talking.

Booking.com clearly has poor communication within their own company, as well as poor communication with their customers. I feel I wasted too much time and experienced way too much run-around trying solve a simple discrepancy created on their behalf. I was told by the last hotel representative I spoke with that, when booking services through a third party, such as Booking.com, the customer should never feel the need to contact the establishment (hotel) directly. Agreed. I will NEVER use Booking.com again!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

We booked a place in Portugal through Booking.com for a 1-night stay. There were myriad issues with the "host", but the worst problem was that the Booking.com ad/description claimed the place had "free WiFi" that was supposedly "fully accessible". Well that was a lie and the "host" gave us bogus information when we asked for the network access info/password, etc. When we questioned him (via text) and started asking specific, technical questions about why the network didn't appear, he just stopped communicating with us altogether; wouldn't respond to calls or texts. This was a HUGE problem for us since we had to check travel schedules, check-in for flights, etc and we were unable to do so.

Booking.com was USELESS in offering any solution to this problem and simply referred us to the host, who is a liar and a scam artist. In this competitive online travel services market, there's no reason whatsoever to use Booking.com, who will leave you high & dry, when there are so many others who will protect the consumer from fraud such as this. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Booked through Booking.com. Was told the hotel would come with two queen beds and a sofa in the room. My child has autism and can't be touched while sleeping. Sofa would be perfect for her, got to the hotel to check in and of course there was no sofa in the room. Big problem, so I talk to the manager at the hotel and there is nothing he can do 'cause we booked through Booking.com. Called Booking.com, spoke with D.C. and he was trying to help but after he called the hotel he was mean and nasty. After 73 minutes, I was finally handed off to a supervisor, who called me a liar three times, told me I had only called 7 minutes prior. I have the call log on my cellphone so I know what time I called and how long. Told me I never contacted them prior about the room and confirmation which I did.

Hercules was the supervisor name; he was horrible and rude. Told me and I quote "nothing we can do for you, it's not our fault your child is **" then hung up on me. I was in full blown tears as I called back. Got a hold of Pat and spoke with her. She asked to send email pic of the hotel room so we can show that it wasn't what was promised via their web page. She called the hotel manager and said that I told them I wanted to be moved to another hotel and all kinds of things, mind you I was standing with the manager at that time. So they called me back and said the manager said I already booked another room, I told them I did not and that I was standing with the manager and they hung up on me. I received the emails and sent the pictures as I was asked.

Made it through the weekend with my daughter after buying a blow up air mattress so that she could sleep without being touched. Called Booking.com again when I got home and the supervisor again called me a liar and told me I have never called and they have no email from me and told me they will not help me in any way. I told them I have pictures, screenshots of my call log, names of people I spoke with and the supervisor then told me "I must be ** like my daughter" and hung up on me after telling me their decision was final. So they messed up my entire weekend vacation, added extreme stress to my child with autism and called her outside of her name and made me feel like complete garbage.

NEVER WILL I EVER USE BOOKING.COM. I WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW MY STORY. I WILL POST ABOUT IT ON EVERY SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM I CAN. On the upside. BEST WESTERN was amazing and so very understanding and helpful for my stay, never once made me feel like a horrible person and Keith came up and check on my self and my child while he was on duty. Everyone was extremely helpful and caring. Booking.com is horrible and I will never use them again.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We booked 7 days incl. Breakfast. After our arrival we've been told we only paid the breakfast for only 1 person! I told them that can't be true. After that we've been contacted by Booking.com hotline. The guy from the Spanish Booking.com hotline tried to convince me, that we did wrong booking, otherwise we had to pay more. I went to Booking.com site and typed in all the data again and got the same price. I've sent the screenshots with that to Booking.com hotline to prove it. But they only told me we have to do the booking next more accurate. I don't really know what went wrong here, one thing I know for sure - NEVER AGAIN BOOKING.COM!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We made a booking, Sheraton in China for 6 months time. There was no massive price error, we got a reasonable rate, about 120 dollars, which we have booked before around that price. Then we get an email saying there was a mistake, they have updated prices and the price is up 50 dollars. They don't honor the rate, neither the hotel or Booking.com and they suggest an alternative in a Chinese cheap hotel with NO WINDOW. The takeaway, you can not trust the rates and bookings you make. If your booking for a friend, client or group tour book direct with the hotels.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Recently, my Booking.com account was hacked and a payment to Nuevas Suites hotel in Istanbul was made using my credit card details stored on booking.com. I received a confirmation email in Turkish from Nuevas Suites hotel via Booking.com and I immediately logged in to my booking account where, to my surprise, I noticed a non-refundable reservation for 20 nights. The amount of 1920 Euros was debited from my Visa credit card. I did not get any emails regarding suspicious login attempts. I contacted my bank and they cancelled the credit card. I also contacted the hotel in Istanbul; however, they could only speak Turkish so I could not understand them.

Soon after this incident, I asked someone who could speak the language to contact them and they promised that will get the manager on the phone. It never happened. I have reasons to believe that this attack had been carried out by Turkish hackers because: - the confirmation messages were sent to my email in the Turkish language. - In the special requests addressed to the hotel at the time of booking the hotel, the hackers wrote ‘İş amaçlı seyahat ediyorum ve iş amaçlı kredi kartımı kullanabilirim.’ Which means ‘I travel for business purposes and use this credit card for business purposes.’ The hotel replied promptly in English: ‘Ok, we will help you.’ The hackers got the time to remove my profile photo. I had that photo since I created the account.

Luckily, I was online when this happened and detected the suspicious activity immediately, changed the password, cancelled the reservation and informed Booking.com in hope of support. However, I was disappointed by their reply: "The policy you booked is non-refundable, which usually doesn’t allow changes or cancellations. This policy is outlined in your confirmation email and on our website. Despite this, we asked the property to make an exception for you. As soon as the property responds, we’ll contact you with their answer. If the property decides to waive the penalty, kindly inform us if it would still be possible to refund the canceled credit card or if you disputed this charge at your earliest convenience." As if it was my mistake for being hacked. I had nothing to do with this booking. I am the victim here. An investigation could identify the IP address used during the reservation.

This was allegedly a business trip. I never booked a business trip before and I am not a business person. I only travel with my family. I never reserve long stays in hotels. My previous reservations are enough to prove this. The booking interval did not match my vacation period and it was made during a time when my travel documents were being renewed so I could not even think of travelling abroad. As I said before, the language used throughout the booking was Turkish. I neither speak nor understand Turkish.

I wrote Booking asking them to clarify what happened but so far I only received the message copy/pasted above and this: “Kindly note that this reservation was made through the account [email address]. The reason you have received all the communication in Turkish is because the language selected during the booking process is Turkish. Please note that we advise you to contact your bank to report any fraud claims you may have.”

I never had any issues with booking.com before. However, I believe that booking.com is vulnerable against cyber-attacks and they need to take this matter very seriously for the sake of their many thousands of customers who entrusted them by sharing their credit card details. My question is why do Booking.com not take any responsibility in this hacking case? This is a massive security breach. There are thousands of booking.com customers whose accounts are in danger due to a very weak level of account protection. I changed my own password several times and noticed that I could reuse the same password the hackers used to defraud me of nearly 2000 euros.

This is just mind-blowing. A company such as Booking.com should not allow these things to happen. I tried to find out more information about the hotel that received the fraudulent payment and the message displayed by Booking.com next to this hotel’s photos is “NUEVAS SUİTES isn’t bookable on our site anymore, but we’ve found some great alternatives for you in Istanbul!” Is it possible that someone from inside the hotel had access to Booking.com customers’ credit cards details? We may never find out…

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I recently had a horrible experience with Booking.com and their customer services staff were absolutely useless who defended the property host (who did not show up, I ended up without an accommodation and he was lying). I booked a room and tried to contact the host all day to no avail. I went to do a check in but the host was neither available at the property nor available over the phone. I was asked by Booking.com customer services to wait on the street (it was 19:00pm at night in London in a dodgy area) for them to get back to me. They did get back to me only to ask me to wait further until they hear from the property "as per their procedure".

When they did they got back to me, they told me that I did not show up at the property and that the host was waiting for me. (although I called booking.com from outside the property and explained the situation for them for about 20 min. They also called the property at my request and their phone was off). Booking.com concluded that I was lying. This experience with Booking.com has put me off completely from booking with them. Their customer services - which was great before - is now at the lowest point. I spoke to 4 people at Booking.com they were all useless and while they asked me to wait for their phone call that never happened. I would not recommend Booking.com anymore and actually just cancelled my next booking with them.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Unhonest and irresponsible owner. I have booked Kampar Vacation House BLOCK A-4-23A, KONDO KAMPAR BARAT JALAN KA, TAMAN KAMPAR BARAT, Kampar, 31900, Malaysia at 9 March 2019 for my convocation. The owner lied to me to tell me the room is unavailable. He texted me "the room for 9 April 2019 is not available". Obviously, he told me the wrong date and I try to be clear if he mistaken seen the date. He said the room is not available at March too.

I am furious as I already send him the message beforehand to make sure the room is available for my family and he replied he is noted. If the room is really unavailable, the system will have not allowed me to book or already cancel my booking. In fact, I guess the owner wants to increase the price or what Because he texted me to cancel the booking. I can't find a place to write this review below the house as I haven't stay there yet. Lastly, it sucks!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I will never use Booking.com again. I got a flyer saying that I'll get a $20 back to my credit card after checkout the hotel if I book through the link they provided. I did as it said, go to the link and then book a hotel. They never give me that 20 dollar back. I called their customer service, it's a long wait, and all she said was "sorry I didn't see you book through the link. We have no record indicating you'll get a discount." That's totally **. I am 100% sure I followed the instruction and booked through the link. Will not book from Booking.com again. Their price is not cheaper than others anyway.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

They actually just hang up on me. The place we booked had check in only for a 3 hour window. We flew internationally and were 30 mins late. The owner didn’t pick up the phone. We traveled with 1 y.o. baby and we’re not even enter the place when arrived. Neighbors told us that they’ve seen at least 3 other people that were not able to find this Colosseo Grand Suites and even have called the police. But Booking.com didn’t care and hang up after I insisted asking them for a refund or new reservation.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Just to add to my earlier review of Booking.com. It was odd that TripAdvisor had more accurate reviews of this place than Booking and now I know why. Normally when a company is reviewed, the moderation process takes a few hours; after leaving a scathing, but professional, review of this hotel, the review doesn't even show up on my Booking.com review history page; and, when I looked under the hotel's reviews, it said that it was still under moderation over two days later. Booking did not send any notification either.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I will never trust or book any accommodation again with Booking.com. On arrival to our holiday house in Irvine California there was no sign of the owner. We had tried several times to contact them via their phone number regarding collecting the key and our late arrival, and when we informed Booking.com of the lack of contact, they reassured us that all was in order. This was not the case as we were told to return again the next day at the specified time (14.00-15.00) as we were at fault for arriving at the wrong time! We had to find a hotel for our family of eight and return the next day to still find the property deserted. We were left stranded without anywhere to stay and wasted two days of our holiday. Booking.com tried to offer us motel rooms and a house ten miles away that was much smaller as an alternative. The company state that they "act solely as an intermediary" and accept no liability.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I reserved a room in Rome through Booking.com that turned out to be in a building with a drug-den bar downstairs and reeked of mold and mildew. I physically couldn't stay there and had to pay for another room elsewhere. Booking.com sent me some pro-forma replies expressing how sorry they were, but that they had no control over the owner's no refund policy. Surely, if Booking.com really wanted to get a provider to do something they could have.

Also, I went back to look at the reviews of this place to see if I had done something wrong and was surprised to find the Booking ranking system is a complete fraud. I gave the place negative reviews up and down, but the lowest score possible was 2.5, while others could give 9-10; this obviously is a statistically ploy to make rooms look better than they are. I also looked at many other reviews which were horrific, but, due to the way Booking tabulates their scores, showed up as a 6. One lady complained that, while staying in a hostel, she was placed in a room with men, people tried to break open her locked bags and that someone urinated on her towel and nightshirt, and this review was given a score of around 6.

Furthermore, beside the overall rating, if you look at how Booking.com cherry picks its reviews, the fraud is striking: this reservation was in a sleazy building with a loud bar, homeless people taking drugs outside and one person complained of dogs barking in the hallways at night, but the highlighted reviews claimed it was in a great location, clean and quiet. The real reviews were found only after my more extensive second look and more accurate reviews were on TripAdvisor.

In summation: Booking.com puts this facility at the top of their list under the "Genius" program, skews the ranking higher, cherry picks reviews that seem out of touch with reality, and then when their customer is stuck in an unusable room in a foreign city basically says that it isn't their problem. So, I'm out almost $500 that the facility took, Booking got a cutoff, and I'm out of luck. Whatever money you might save from this site when things go right, doesn't make up for the mistakes; next time, I will pay more up front for a real travel agent who will stand by their work.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

This is what I sent them tonight. At 7:57pm tonight I was informed that my accommodation was overbooked for tomorrow, less than 24 hours notice. I emailed repeatedly for someone to call me and I finally found a number to call. Our booking with you was our most expensive night and solely booked because of its close proximity to Hope and 11th. The place they found was a 5 minute drive away and was not acceptable. I found this place below that was also about the same distance from Hope and 11th. I was told on the phone that the difference in price would be covered, so I booked it as it was the only place available and I didn’t want it to go as these are not hotels with multiple rooms. I then emailed the receipt to the representative as that was what she said I had to do to get the refund in the price difference.

At this point the story changed and she had to talk to her manager. I was on hold for over 10 minutes and then she told me that no, the price was too big of a difference. So on the eve of my arrival I went from, "Hey we are moving to you," to "Now we are taking even more money from you." I asked her to cancel the reservation at this point and told her I would make my own arrangements. Guess what, now we can’t cancel. She emailed the place and they might agree to cancel and refund my money. I am feeling completely and utterly screwed by your company.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Do not waste your time and money on Booking.com. In any situation they are not helpful at all. We had issues with red tide and they could not help. We had booked a hotel and wanted to cancel it immediately, they could not help and so on. If you want someone to be helpful, stay away from Booking.com.

Booking.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs