Booking.com

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This is very poor company to deal with. First I had book the wrong date and call less than 6 hours later when I realized I had the wrong date. They told me that I will be penalized for making the change and it's the hotel that is penalizing me. Then their site said that they will price match and they don't. They told me they had to check with the hotel to see if they will agree to the match. They put me on hold and came back and told me they would not because I had to move date. When I asked them to just cancel my reservation they said I would be charged anyway and that I would be charge for two night versus my one night reservation. I was forced to keep the reservation so that I wouldn't get charged twice. I WILL NEVER USE THE COMPANY AGAIN THEY ARE SCAM ARTIST!!

So after my phone experience with Booking.com I decided to call the hotel direct and they told that they had no problem matching the price but the reason they could not was because Booking.com was going to charge them for me changing my date. The hotel had also informed that I should have called them direct without using an online service as they would have given the room to me for $50 cheaper than what I had book online. Expedia had the room for the rate that the hotel had told me they would have given if I had called them direct.

I just attempted to use the price guarantee on Booking.com, which has five requirements, all of which I met. I submitted the claim and followed up with a phone call. After sitting on the phone with one of their reps for 30-45 minutes, mostly waiting on hold, only to be told that the price guarantee wasn't going to be honored because they didn't have enough knowledge about the taxes applied by the competing site.

Being understanding and knowing what the taxes are for the country I am visiting, especially because most booking sites break it down transparently, I told them that any additional taxes would still mean their price was too high. To this they basically told me they would look into it further over the next few days. Unfortunately, I'm checking into the hotel tomorrow. I understand their wanting to not lose money, but what I don't agree with is that they follow guidelines for a policy that are not published for users to see. Along with their lack of willingness to do anything to resolve the issue, or at least work with me was enough of a reason to post on TripAdvisor for the first time.

My wife booked a hotel in SLC for one night same day 16th Feb online at $51.00. I get to the hotel and the reservation was made for the 16th of March. We called to change but they said if they fix it the dates it will cost more. We clicked for 16 Feb not 16 March. SHADY!

DON'T USE THIS WEBSITE. As my name states, ** YOU booking.com. The same as everyone says. Hidden fees. Hours of runaround between them and the hotels. Customer service does NOT exist. They will take your money, good luck getting it back. Don't bother trying to get the hotel involved. They're in on it too usually. Just save yourself the headache, frustration, stress and anger and just use a different site to book. Seriously. You may as well light your money on fire and yourself while you're at it because that is what you'll want to do after spending six hours trying to get your money back.

Absolutely and utterly disgusted with Booking.com for their 'false advertising' of hotel prices in Sri Lanka. Used website & got price in Australian dollars and confirmation came through in Australian dollars. HOWEVER when we came to pay it was in US$!!! Disgusting, disgusting, disgusting. Will never ever use this company again. We are taking it up with Australian consumer affairs on our return. WARNING. WARNING. WARNING. Cannot stress this enough. Will be spreading this far and wide.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

We rented this apartment for nearly three weeks. The owner was rude most of the time, especially the day we left as he came into the bathroom with my wife showering because we were 45 minutes late leaving the apartment. We obviously paid the full amount upfront. Booking made it impossible for us to leave our rating on their site. They repeatedly answered from local reps in Eastern Country that nothing could be done for us to report. The lesson is that do not believe the Booking.com ratings. They are intentionally filtered to the taste of the owner of the hotel.

Reserved two separate accommodations with booking.com. In the one instances the full amount of the accommodation rate was deducted from my credit card months before my arrival date, and despite this not being the agreed terms of that booking. Then when we arrived to book in the Distinction Hotel in Rotorua had us booked into a different room - instead of a room with 2 queen beds which we had booked and paid for they had us reserved in a room with 1 queen and one rollaway bed. Even though I showed them the booking confirmation printout that Booking.com had sent me, the woman behind the reception desk refused to accept that we had reserved and paid for a 2 queen bedroom, and she argued loud and hard with us on this point. She then wanted to put us on the 5th floor when I had e-mailed the Distinction Hotel specifically requesting ground floor or closest to level, and they had replied saying they would try and do this for us.

What followed from this point on was horrendous, to the extent that we even wanted to check out within minutes of arriving in our room, and despite the Manager being seen behind the reception desk he refused to take my calls and false claims were made. He had gone home when a staffer who came up to our room minutes prior had confirmed he was still in the building. Because the receptionist who had checked us in had blamed Booking.com, and told us to rather book with Expedia in future, I called Booking.com and explained the situation. The woman tried arguing with me and interrupted me. She didn't want to listen, and kept claiming they had done nothing wrong. Eventually she told me to hold on while she got the Distinction Hotel on the other line.

I waited, waited, waited and waited... Eventually I ended the (mobile) call. She had my mobile number but did not call me back later. I will NEVER use Booking.com again. I have incidentally - three days ago - booked us for another fabulous holiday to Australia and each time Google offered me Booking.com as a platform to reserve our accommodation with, I ignored their website. Very rude and arrogant Booking.com representative that took my call in New Zealand. She ought to be sacked in my view. Did nothing to help our situation, and in fact her attitude made our negative experiences that much worse.

Booked thru booking.com for Howard Johnson's St Augustine FL for 3 nights, could only stay 3 hours had to go back to work. I called HJ that afternoon after leaving and booking.com when I got home same day, was charged for all three days and they keep telling me it is the other's responsibility. This is nothing less than stealing. Have made several attempts with both parties.

On January 12 we booked The Mafolie Hotel in St.Thomas Virgin Islands through the Booking.com for four nights. Per Booking.com website the cancellation was free until April 24. We canceled this reservation a week later due to the changing our itinerary. The hotel charged us $260 which is not refunded. We informed our bank to dispute these charges based on the free cancellation policy of Booking.com. A month later money is still outstanding for the hotel.

Booked two nights at Sheraton Hotel in Atlantic City NJ using Booking.com and then needed to cancel one of the nights. This was done more than a week prior to the reservation date. Booking.com advised that it's Sheraton's policy not to refund any money on cancellations. I called The Sheraton and they accept cancellations with full refunds up to 24 hrs in advance. It's Booking.com policy that they provide no refunds for cancellations. There is no need to use this third-party reservation service. Not to mention it is impossible to find a number to try and speak to a human being.

I booked a hotel with Booking.com, I was sent a confirmation number, and I packed my bags. I just happened to call the hotel to ask if they had a gym, and they said there is no way I was getting a room because they were sold out and booking.com does this all the time. So apparently when you book with them, it isn't a guarantee you will get a room even after they have told you it's confirmed. That is ridiculous!!

When I called booking.com they said, "It's the hotel's fault for not telling them". I said, "So is this a common thing? People show up to the hotel and they don't have a room?" He said, "Ya... It definitely happens". That so dumb. What is their business for then? The hotel rooms are just as cheap when you call the actual hotel AND they can guarantee the room. Booking.com is useless and actually quite inconvenient. This is a warning that if you use booking.com you have no idea if the room is actually booked and you might be stranded in a city with no hotel. PS. They did nothing for me but offer to "cancel and make sure my card wasn't charged". Uhhh DUH?!

After booking a "3 night" stay in a motel through Booking.com (with a free cancellation policy & no deposit) we changed our plans & needed to alter our stay from 3 nights to "2 nights". Well, called the Motel initially and were told had to go through Booking.com directly... Called number listed initially & after holding for 10 minutes, followed the prompts on how to get onto their website (easily), or email (easily). You are able to change dates on their website using your booking number & pin. However, I tried this at least six times in 24 hrs to no avail - it gets so far then "hangs".

I sent at least six emails for my address & my husband's address with all details marked urgent & finally received an email after a day to say our changes had been successfully changed... They had not! They were still the same!! I have fortunately been able to speak directly with "a person" this morning & have consequently had the correct changes made. My husband & I use Booking.com a lot in our travels locally & overseas - We will NEVER use them again! It's so very easy to book & so very difficult to change let alone cancel!

I had bought a night for last weekend for a B&B in Niagara Falls (Niagara Grandview Manor) for my husband for his birthday. We were so excited to go as the pics on Booking.com were so beautiful and we have 3 kids so hard to get away for us. We arrived at the B&B and we're told that we were not staying there that booking.com advertises the main property only not the Nataya where we ended up staying two doors down. Which was very disappointing for us as it was NOWHERE like the B&B we purchased. Their prices were wrong when we checked out. It was more than what I was given online. This was my first and last experience with Booking.com, our vacation was totally ruined. We were not offered any compassion. In fact they will not even return my emails or calls.

Be WARNED... When my wife and I travelled with 4 kids for 7 weeks in Europe recently, with arrangements for accommodation through this website, we were annoyed to deal with: apartments recommended by booking.com as suitable for 4 kids and 2 adults, only to arrive with fewer beds and being required/ripped off? to pay for additional beds (e.g.Dubai). Despite booking for 6 on booking.com, linen was on many occasions only provided for 2, 3 or 4 persons, leaving us without towels etc (eg Dubai). Being charged twice for accommodation on arrival (eg Dubai - still seeking my refund). Various locations without TV or internet - despite listed as a feature of the room (e.g. Tallin in Estonia).

Various locations strategically selected given their location close to public transport (easy access for 4 kids with luggage, negates taxi expenses, ease of access to key attractions etc) only to find the location mapped is for key collection only, with actual accommodation several kms and another taxi fare to get there with our luggage and kids (often needing 2x taxis each time) (eg Helsinki, Venice). Various locations strategically selected to have access to a washing machine every few days, only to find no washing machine or machine not working (and evidently not working for some time), requiring us to hand wash or incur expense of laundromat and lost time visiting tourist attractions (eg Helsinki, Estonia).

Booking.com should: require each vendor to provide what they promote as facilities, or forgo their fees (at least in part to compensate for needing to purchase wifi when the free wifi is not working, or visit a laundromat when the washing machine is not working etc). Require vendors to accurately show the location of accommodation, not the key collection point. Require vendors to notify their guest IN ADVANCE if they cannot provide the accommodation or facilities (linen etc) as advertised, so guests can change their travel plans and be refunded in full.

Clearly, Booking.com needs to keep the vendors accountable. At no point when I raised my concerns directly with the vendor did they offer to remedy the situation, or reduce the accommodation price. Instead, they offered what I purchase for an extra charge ie extra beds, or left us without linen, as if not to care. We met many travellers with similar and different complaints re Booking.com 'disappointments', and I need to be convinced measures are in place to avoid such disappointment again in the future.

Lastly, it is not always possible to leave feedback in the time allowed, and why should the onus be on the guest to spend their own time to comment? The onus should be on the vendor to provide what they advertise, or suffer financial loss to compensate the guest. C'mon Booking.com - stop aiding and abetting corrupt or lazy accommodation providers. There were some excellent places and vendors, but unfortunately most places had one or other issues of the kind noted above - just enough to detract from our experience and certainly, our trust in Booking.com.

Booked Central station Deluxe Apartment in Sydney for 3 days 2 nights stay on Booking.com and the owner didn't turn up no matter how many times we called and message her. We're so frustrated and tired at the same time so we forced to get another backpacker hostel on the spot. After the trip we email to Booking.com and its staff called us to apologize, then started to point out that we did wrong as well because of the payment thingy and questioned us that why didn't we call to Booking.com on the spot to get their assistance? They didn't want to make any compensation as the hostel we got is cheaper than the Central Apartment we booked on their website. Also, they told us they won't block the related apartment from doing business on their website as well because there's no complaint regarding to that apartment before and because of our single complaint, they couldn't take any action.

Same ridiculous attitude goes to the apartment owner as she didn't even bother to reply our Whatsapp messages (although they're all seen) and called us back after that. What we wanted is Booking.com to show their responsibility to protect their customers' rights because we choose to trust on it and make bookings on their website eventually. We only requested Booking.com to block the apartment owner from doing business on their website and demanded a sincere apology/compensation from the owner. I strongly believe that this is reasonable of us for asking so.

Imagine you fly to a foreign country you have never been before and so worn out that you wanna quickly check in the hotel for rest but the owner didn't show up and you have to find another hotel on the spot without having any ideas where to go and which to look for? This is the most terrible experience for us with Booking.com and its irresponsible apartment owner. Hope our incident will be looked into carefully and appreciate your reply/action.

Booking.com customer service is one of the worst as whenever there is an issue especially change my booking, they do not take any responsibility rather than passing it to the hotel and mentioning that it is the decision of the hotel. Remember that we book on booking.com and not with the hotels directly.

2 weeks ago my son decided to use my credit card to book a hotel in Washington for 3 days with his friends. Well, we didn't find out till a few days ago when we tried to book a hotel for this spring. I immediately canceled it only to see that I would be charged $515 cancellation fee. I called booking.com and even though I was on the phone for eternity they told me I wouldn't be charged. Such a relief.

No honesty in price published! When I searched for the hotel I wanted, Booking.com appeared to have the lowest price as compared to Agoda. After booking, I felt cheated because the 16% tax on fees are excluded! How can they publish lower price and charge to our credit card a higher total price? This is ridiculous. I will not book for Booking.com and Trivago ever again, and I will share my bad experience to all social media.

I recently booked a room with Booking.com and tried to cancel online well within the cancellation period. Their site wouldn't let me cancel after pressing the cancel button. I got no cancelling email or confirmation notice, but still assumed it was cancelled. Evidently, it wasn't because I got billed for the motel room as a no show. The website didn't let me cancel. It's like Hotel California, "you can check in but you can't check out". I'll never use them again.

Will NEVER use Booking.com again. Extremely poor company to deal with. We had issues with our booking - booked for 7 people only to find when l arrived at the hotel it was only booked for 4... Booking.com were rude and unprofessional on the phone when we called to cancel our booking as we were unable to pay for another room as was expected. They refused refund and would not even listen when we queried how and why the booking was so wrong. As Booking.com is London-based we were charged over $20.00 for the call.

While booking an apartment in Chicago, I wanted to hold it and put down a CC, which they were NOT supposed to charge, but they charged the whole amount the night I booked. I found out that it was the company that was using Booking.com to book their apartment, that does charge IN FULL. WHAT A SCAM. Now I have to wait a week to get my money back. SOO frustrated!!!

We booked 3 rooms at 2 different hotels in Ocean City, MD through Booking.com. We ended up cancelling all reservations at both hotels due to a change in plans. Almost immediately we were refunded the first night charges from the Howard Johnson, Ocean City. Our Princess Royale booking, however, is still charged to our credit card at nearly $1,000 with no resolution. Booking.com tells us to talk to the hotel and the hotel tells us to talk to Booking.com. Customer service on both ends has been horrible. I will never use Booking.com or a 3rd party agency again and have made sure family and friends are aware of the problems and risk as well. Don't use a 3rd party - the rates are not better and booking direct is MUCH better customer service!

I used Booking.com to book a hotel and a few days later canceled my reservation with no cancellation fees. Cancellation was done 3 weeks before I was supposed to arrive. A month later I got my bank statement and $66.30 was taken out of my account. The money was taken out of my account after the date I was even supposed to be in town. I am now in the waiting process to see if they will reimburse me the money they stole from me. If you use this company please keep an eye on your credit card or checking accounts. I am proof that they go in later and take money out.

Canadian in Alberta booked hotel in Guelph ON hotel through Booking.com for 6 nights. They booked the room twice and charged my visa twice immediately. Also charged $20 fee twice. All charged in US dollars. My complaint was referred to reservation.com. They refunded $660 of the $736 they took from my account. The room rate was posted in Canadian dollars. BTW, the hotel was fine, friendly and accommodating. The booking companies use multiple names and refer you to multiple numbers to complain. They can take my money instantly but claim 30 days needed to correct errors. These booking companies are deliberately misleading and confusing consumers. I want/expect my charges to be converted to Canadian dollars and a refund of the excess US dollars they took from me. They did not refund the 6th night that I cancelled 4 days earlier despite free cancellation notice. I will never again trust or use these fraudulent booking services.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Booking.com responded and said that I would be getting a refund for the extra amount the hotel charged me. I'll update this again when it actually happens.

Nikki of Warrensburg, MO on

Original Review

I booked a hotel through Booking.com. The hotel charged me almost $100.00 more than the amount Booking.com told me. I contacted the Hotel and they said I had to take it up with Booking.com. They are not responding at all to emails. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about it. I have used Booking.com before with no problem, but this is not ok. I will not use it again.

Just booked a hotel with Booking.com. The company confirmed my booking price and dates of my hotel. I was over the moon with my holiday. That didn't last long due to Booking.com telling me the price was wrong and hotel wasn't even open on the dates I asked for. All you get from them is "please read our terms and conditions." In other words booking.com can get your holiday wrong and wont do anything about it. How can you trust this company with your holiday.

I have booked early in January, for a March visit, with a hotel in Sicily. I wanted to cancel in late January, but was turned down as the hotel had warned no refund. I did not see this. However I tried to cancel, and then received notice from Booking.com, to say the hotel would move the dates if I wanted to do that, but would not return my £500. I accepted that and informed Booking.com that I will have to take the dates offered. They say today, that if the hotel doesn't confirm my acceptance then I may not have a booking. I have asked them to confirm the booking, but so far they say I must ring the hotel in Sicily myself. I have asked them to contact the hotel, they have not replied.

I had booked a hotel using booking.com and cancelled. As per policy I was supposed to get complete refund, I tried contacting the hotel directly. They did not give any positive response and hence tried contacting the booking.com customer care, but for my surprise 2 of the numbers giving on their website for india does not work. One is always switched off and other is not reachable at all. My request is please do not use booking.com as they are a big time suck. Also after multiple calls and pleading I got refund from the hotel and that too not full refund as claimed by both booking.com and the hotel (cheats).

We booked with them for a vacation home in Palm Springs. We canceled, within the cancellation agreement where they will not charge us... However, Red Awning is the company they use for the transaction payments. Red Awning charged us 10% of the money they have already taken out. They said, that it was in our contract (fine print) that we had only two hours to cancel after booking, in order for the 10% transaction fee not to be charged. Never Again! They use two different parties that give you the runaround, TurnKey and Red Awning. This makes it very confusing when it comes down to canceling your reservation. NEVER AGAIN!!

I'm trying to book 4 rooms for 5 people. We require 4 separate rooms with bathroom facilities for each room. When I found Journey Home I thought I was booking a house with multiple rooms and bathrooms, not so. The only way I could get a phone number to enquire about the rooms was to book for our one night. On calling the number I was told we had booked 2 rooms with a shared bathroom for an outrageous amount of $600. The information on the site is misleading and confusing. I cancelled the booking the same day I made the booking so now they are telling me it will cost $420. I don't think so. What they offer is not what I require. Other people making a booking must be aware of this misleading information.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.
  • Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.
  • Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.
  • Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.
  • Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.
  • Best for Budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites