Booking.com

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was treated unfairly and rudely by representatives of Booking.com in December 2016. They booked a room but failed to contact the motel. When I arrived, the motel had no reservation for me and I had to find another motel as the motel Booking.com had allegedly booked for me was full, costing me $170 more, so BEWARE when dealing with them! Despite repeated discussions with them, they have refused to reimburse me for the full $170 difference.

STAY AWAY from booking.com! A few months ago I was doing research for a possible college tour trip for my daughter. Being unfamiliar with the area (since we would be traveling from out of state) I was merely doing a general search for a hotels. I thought I clicked to see how much the cost of the hotel would be but instead it ACTUALLY booked it. I realized what happened within seconds. I not only CANCELED it (per proper protocol) but I also spoke directly to the hotel explaining the situation and emailed the general manager. All forms of communication failed. I was charged for the minimum.

Booking.com said refunds were to the discretion of the hotel. The hotel said it was out of their hands and was to the discretion of booking.com and they did not have the ability to issue refunds or make changes to any reservation made through Booking.com. Today I received an email from Booking.com saying they were notified I didn't "check-in" to the hotel?!? Of course I did not check-in to a hotel I never intend to stay at. For those looking into travel arrangements via online stay clear of Booking.com.

Booked a 4-night stay with Booking.com, arrived at the property and they say that no children allowed at the property. Now I have no place to stay with 3 year old child and also I can't get any refund.

I made a hotel booking in Florence Italy with Booking.com. They took a €999 deposit, then a week later another €849 amount from my card without any warning. They sent me confirmation for wrong Hotel & Address. Meanwhile my Granny died, and then a few days later my beloved Dog. So then I canceled my trip to organise funerals. I called them to try to get some help with refunds, not interested. In my opinion they are heartless, calculating, and inhuman. Beware using them.

In March 2017 made reservation on Booking.com website for one night stay (March 25th) at Best Western, Macon, GA. After finding details about a better hotel, we cancelled our reservation and received a CANCELLATION CONFIRMATION email from Booking.com on March 22, 2017. But, Booking.com never cancelled the reservation and my VISA was charged for the Best Western hotel where we did NOT stay! I tried to contact Booking.com for assistance, but was told I had to contact Best Western hotel to get refund. Best Western said Booking.com would have to refund our money. This is bad business and stealing money from trusting consumers. I want my refund Booking.com.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Have been defrauded of £95.06p and £1.09p. No money back. Booking.com are disgusting by not offering my monies back after I had booked a hotel with them. Ocean Park Hotel for 30th Oct to Nov 6th. Well my money went and then suddenly the hotel cancels due to invalid card??? Well my card is valid alright, till the year 22 and they took the money leaving me in big trouble now and when my husband hears this he deffo won't let me go on holiday by myself which is what I was going to do. So upsetting that between Booking.com and Ocean Park Hotel Santa Monica they have put me off going on holiday now. Would have been my first holiday ever of more than a day. This reservation was cancelled because of an invalid credit card. So not true my card expires year 22.

Don't fall for their low priced deals!! I am an experienced traveler and have used many online sites to make reservations. I booked a reservation and later learned only by checking my credit card that not only had I been charged, but the reservation was not refundable. Was hung up on twice by their CS associates. The second was especially rude. Then got an email saying I needed to contact the hotel directly. Terrible!! I could say more, but in conclusion: Do not use this site!!

They take a power by getting your credit card details. I had book hotel for my trip to Italy. First, they said I pay only 10% at the time of online booking and when I tried to cancel the booking, they took half of the hotel charges from a credit card. It's just abusing customers.

It all began when I was booking a room for my boyfriend and I to celebrate his birthday. We live out in the country and wanted to go out and get a room in town so we wouldn't have to drive. Upon booking, I noticed in my confirmation that the wrong kind of room had been booked, and I contacted the hotel, who by the way could not confirm my reservation. I tried to contact booking.com via phone, and after sitting on hold for a god awful amount of time that no one answered I got off the phone and wrote an email to them asking them to rectify the issue. After a week with no response, I got an email back from them stating that the hotel did not offer the kind of room I was requesting, which was false information because I spoke with staff at the hotel.

I had a very strange feeling, so I logged online to booking.com and saw that my reservation was not there... it was as if I had never made one. I immediately called the bank and cancelled my card. I haven't been able to contact Booking.com by phone or speak to anyone. Upon logging on later that afternoon, it stated my reservation was cancelled, though I was not the one to cancel it. I am so thankful that I called and cancelled the card being that my room was nonrefundable. And based on the other reviews I have read, and the experience thus far, it wasn't giving me good feelings that this sleazy company had access to my bank account. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

I used this site and I want to tell you that before you book a hotel they do not show you the negative reviews. I stayed in a hotel for a few nights and it was now a homeless temporary accommodation hostel type place. Noisy and banging doors continually. My review has not been shown and nowhere to be seen on this site. TripAdvisor allows us access before booking to see all reviews and guests' experiences good and bad. I will never use Booking.com again and advise you that are reading not to.

I was quoted a really low rate on Booking.com for a hotel in Hawaii, then contacted a few days later asking me to cancel. They think they're being really helpful by instead offering me a price 6.5x what I was quoted. I have a confirmation email from Booking.com starting my reservation and price and they will not honor it or try to make any kind of amends for the situation. Beware thinking you're getting a good deal, it might not last!

I booked a night at Stay Inn Lux in Toronto for a little mother and son trip. I had a reservation number, a login, even got the app that connected it all together with my online reservation and email. Got confirmation email saying my trip was approaching, giving me tourist info, etc... even asking me if I needed parking or when I was going to check in. I even did send an email to the address they gave me. Finally got there today... was received by the most unpleasant security guard by name of Rick telling me it was illegal what I was doing that these condos were purchased, had owner, no renters and that I was making him lose his time.

There was no such a thing as checking in, getting a parking or even a place to sleep in that matter. I tried to phone the contact number I was given and no one answered... several times... send emails that got no replies. I had only for alternative to hit the drive back home with my son. Six hours later got home and here I am disappointed as can be trying to figure out where I went wrong.

A warning when doing Booking.com, I did a booking for a hotel in Norwich for over 2 months' time. The wording of the booking is rather ambiguous and not very clear. I understood that the payment could be taken after booking, thinking it would be done in the weeks before our stay. However, it was taken immediately which was not what I wanted. Check carefully in future and possibly go elsewhere.

It's a complete scam. I booked a double bedroom for this weekend and when I checked my booking, Booking.com has changed it to a single bedroom. I have emailed the hotel and this is what they said...

"What we have received from Booking.com is a prepaid discounted reservation for a single room for Friday 14th and Sat 15th, which under their terms and conditions was charged to the card provided. On their website there is an option to pay on arrival but that would be at our full price of £98 per night. No discount. We are not sure how they messed up with you wanting a double room for the two nights as that would mean clicking on the options. We do have a double room available for those dates and you can pay the difference on arrival from a single at £93.10 per night to £133 therefore you will have to pay on arrival £79.80 (133 minus the amount already paid of £93.10 = £39.90 X 2 nights comes to £79.80). Booking.com is only a website reservations facilitator and quite often gets things wrong or confusing. We usually prefer people to book direct as this helps to smooth things out a lot."

I'm so annoyed I used booking.com. It's a complete scam. I also never chose to prepay, I was going to pay on arrival but sure they charged my card the next day. Never using them ever again!!!

I used Booking.com app for convenience and rate comparisons. The hotel I booked offered a student rate. I proactively tried to take advantage of the student rate without success. The hotel basically stated that once a reservation is made with a third party; the reservations is out of their control. I understand this circumstance but it would've been nice if customer service at booking.com was remotely helpful. There seems to be little collaboration between the hotel and booking.com. Both parties pointed the finger at the other and I was stuck as a middleman. Hotel discouraged use of the app. Very frustrating!

I booked my hotel on Booking.com, and when I got there the hotel had no reservation for me or my mom. I was there for a funeral and it happened to be on the busiest weekend for my hometown, which is a college town. Needless to say I was pissed with booking.com. The front desk attendant said they had been going through this with booking.com for a month. Take my advice and don't use this website to book a hotel. They had my family and my mom scrambling to fund another hotel. Thank God we found a decent one since all the others were booked to the max.

I had reserved a hotel, namely Ramada Encore Izmir in Turkey on 31 March to cover the trip in Izmir, Turkey from 4 to 6 May via Booking.com. The booked number is **. This booking can be cancelled before 3 May 2017 00:00 as stated on the booking ticket. However, my credit card had been illegally debited the whole money for two nights from 4 to 6 May with a total money of 90 Euro on 1 April 2017. I had to cancel the reservation since my partner could accompany with me for the trip, so I have to book another cheap hotel due to budget. While I could not get my money back even I cancelled the reservation. I have sent an email to customer.service@booking.com on 3 Apr, but there is no any response so far.

I am not such rude person to blame the Booking.com. I know everyone or any entity could make a mistake. I can forgive the mistake but I can't resist in the no response or no apology after the mistake. Booking.com is such a big travelling agent and have a good reputability all the time. A lot of people in the world have reserved or will reserve the hotel from Booking.com. Why you can not take the responsibility after the mistake? If anyone want to make sure the authentication of this matter you can email me.

Worst experience I've ever had. They are nothing but a SCAM!!! They clearly have it stated ALL OVER their website that the service is pay at property and cancellation free of charge. After everything was said and done the next day my card was charged 140$ so when I made a complaint and asked why the money had been taken out of my account since it was pay at property they had told me it was stated in the page. I have screen shots. It was not. I requested my money back and they said they had contacted the hotel and I would be receiving a refund. I STILL HAVE YET TO SEE MY MONEY!!! And on top of that they said they will be charging a cancellation fee after stating free cancellation. Such a horrible company. I am not one to complain but this company is beyond words. DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM. YOU WILL REGRET IT!!! Nothing but a SCAM!!! They just want your $$.

Have contacted the customer service and Melanie has answered. I said I checked in yesterday and I wasn't well to contact now I wanted a price checked as it was price guaranteed. She was talking the call is disconnected. She didn't call me back but next time when I called Paul answered and he said: she called me but I have no missed call and just sent me an email saying that my claim was unsuccessful. I received it. Paul wasn't helpful. I asked that I want to talk with the manager but he said he will talk to her first and he put me on hold. I have waited half an hr and he transferred the call to someone who I don't believe a Senior!!!

She didn't even listen to me and she was not helpful too, directly said they cannot do anything. They said they see the price 74.10 now I see 70. Even price now is less than what they say. It was £60 yesterday and this morning. Paul didn't listen to me at all, he was talking over me and this girl (she is not a manager) but Paul said she is. They are not telling the truth. I am looking for someone to help but customer service is horrible!

After a second bad experience, I'll definitely warn anyone considering this site to avoid them. I'm in the UK and a 2 night hotel stay was averaged to £354. The hotel has charged me £474 (Euros to Pound conversion) and justified it by saying approximate prices. I should have known better after a previous experience where the same hopes and Booking.com backed up the hotel against my complaint. Don't be fooled by the cheap prices. Sometimes, your credit card been charged already and you're oblivious to the charges so there's nothing you can do. In future, I will probably try to contact the hotel first to see availability and prices like someone suggested.

I go away yearly in June, however I booked a spot with Booking.com. Upon further research, I found a closer hotel to the venue. I contacted Booking.com to cancel via email and denied my refund. They want to charge me $293 and change to cancel. I recently fell on ice and am not able to go the event in June due to injury and must cancel the other hotel and they are giving me no problem. Booking.com is not being fair and this is a poor way to conduct business by denying a customer their money! Please assist me in this matter in getting my entire payment refunded.

We booked one room with two beds. When we arrived at the hotel they told us they didn't have a room with two beds. They showed us the fine print in Booking.com's email that the special requests might be for extra charge by the hotel. The hotel offered suites with extra cash out of our pockets, of course, so we had to pay extra to stay the night. We feel like there is a Ponzi scheme between Booking.com and the hotel to rip the customers off of their money at the 11th hour. When you hopelessly arrive late at night at the hotel and no place else to go you have to say yes to everything they have in house for you.

Even if you go to some other hotel because you are upset that is just going to cost you even more and in this whole thing the loser will never change: that's you! Why can't one book a hotel room with beds and not have these last minute arranged surprises! No one also answers if you call the customer service. Everything is set up to get more and more of your money. Terrible!

We travelled to Italy in October 2016 and booked a few hotels through Booking.com. Upon arriving at the hotel in Verona, the innkeepers were not there to let us in. We had to depend upon strangers who spoke no English to help us find another hotel. In Venice, the Hotel Locanda Canal was filthy and not as represented on Booking.com (We discovered later that the good reviews posted were of Locanda Hotel Vivaldi). We disputed charges in both instances. Booking.com argued with us, said we entered a contract and had to pay. They are not on the consumer's side at all. We will never book through them again! Caveat Emptor!!

You will probably only use this site once. Recently made an out of country hotel reservation through booking.com. Unfortunately I had to cancel that reservation after about a week, and booking.com would not refund their $12.99 booking fee. I did report them to our Washington AG's office and they took my side but booking.com has never refunded my $12.99.

I had made reservations for a condo in Treasure Island Florida and will be going there in May. My sister did the same thing and got a better rate for the same room type and dates so I called the Booking.com number on my print out confirmation sheet today. The man asked me where I wanted to go. I said Treasure Island Florida. He said, "We have a lot of Treasure Islands in the world. Where do you want?" I again said Treasure Island Florida. He said "What state?' I again said where and told him I had said it three times. He said "You know what?" And hung up on me. Very good treatment of someone who has used Booking.com more times than I can say. But no more. So rude! Obviously not much in the way of customer service training.

Made a booking with this company but had to cancel last minute due to illness. Was promised half price of booking as refund but never got this was told that I had. Have bank statements to prove them wrong. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. They will promise then disregard.

I phoned up yesterday regarding an enquiry on to the reason why I had been charged for a room that I booked for and had cancelled for. With giving my explanation and details to the customer service agent named Jaques (I think as he did not give his name again) I asked for a ref number or something for the call instead he hung up on me! I work in the same line as job as himself and I know I was not rude and only being polite and trying to get my frustration across. He made no sense in his explanations prior to hanging up the phone. Had to eventually go to my bank to dispute Booking.com. Used them a few times but I'm totally over them. They countless bad reviews and quite disgusted actually!

I recently booked a night at Montcalm Hotel in Shoreditch. I canceled it in advance of the cancellation fee, and indeed on going to cancel it the site prompted "Are you sure you wish to cancel your booking." I confirmed. However as I explained in my email to them my father is terminally ill and it's been extenuating circumstances, checking for a cancellation email has not been top of my list.

I am not some 'crazy person' complaining, I have used their service in the past and been satisfied: however they ignored three emails I sent, kept me waiting on hold for over 20 mins, in an attempt I suspect to also 'deeper' me from bothering to complain, and then blamed the hotel for the problems. I will never use their 'service' again: it's always a true test of customer service and values when they have to deal with problems.

They claim you can cancel a reservation and you won't be charged by the supplier until you stay. I booked accommodation for October 2017. I noticed a full charge to my card and international fee. I cancelled the accommodation last month and took screen shots "No FEE NO Charge" both from the accommodation provider's terms and conditions & Booking.com T&Cs. I'm nearly $900 out of pocket and two weeks into a disputed transaction via my credit card company. I have contacted Booking.com twice and no response. Their website claims are False and Misleading.

Don't book with them or their sister company Priceline. I booked a hotel that had no rooms when I showed up so I had no place to stay. But when it came to a refund here is what I had to go through. They have to confirm the overbooking then make you send your bank statement showing charge. Then do nothing at this point unless you follow-up. I suspect this process is on purpose so you just give up. Don't use them. 3 calls and 21 days later I have no resolve. But I will get my money back for this nonsense. This exact scenario happened with hotels.com once and they solved it immediately. So there you go, use the right company or suffer with Priceline aka Booking.com. Lesson learned.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.
  • Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.
  • Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.
  • Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.
  • Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.
  • Best for Budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites