1.19/5

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2960 Booking.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Booked room online, reviewing pictures and descriptions of rooms. Choose best one shown, even called hotel Hampton Inn and suites confirming accommodations. Arrive and checked in to find room not as pictured or confirmed with walk-in shower extra as promised. Bed was hard and lumpy and outlets didn't work. Will definitely be choosing one of the many other options in Milwaukee and not be making reservations with Booking.com again.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I was using the Booking.com site to find a hotel near the Dayton Ohio area. I was looking for a room with a jacuzzi suite as well as an indoor pool and hot tub. I was on the booking page to book a room at the Holiday Inn Express which included a jacuzzi suite. They had pictures of the room with a jacuzzi. They also had pictures of the pool with a hot tub. I just so happen to view the company website before finishing my booking. They did not have any jacuzzi suites available nor did the pictures of the pool so a hot tub. So I called them, they took all of the hot tubs out of both the rooms in the pool over a year ago and have contacted Booking.com several times to have the pictures and amenities on their site changed. But yet they have not. I am so glad I called the hotel to verify.

I had another experience to where I made the reservations on, got a confirmation email but then when I got to the hotel they did not have a room for me. I was lucky and they still had rooms available and I ended up getting a better room than what I booked on Booking.com but that was thanks to the actual Hotel not the crappy Booking.com website. Never trust Booking.com.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I booked my reservation through a referral and was promised $25 after checkout and here we are a year later with no credit. They lied and cheated to get customers to book through them. I would not recommend them!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Beware, confirmed reservations with Booking.com are not actually confirmed and Booking.com allows hotels to cancel without notifying you! For the third time a Booking.com reservation was canceled without notification. The first time we were lucky and there was still an available room when I arrived. The other two times I happened to double check myself, and saw that the hotel had canceled. I then had to go in and re-book. Bad service!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The unique vision and mission of Booking.com's founder made Booking.com the successful industry they currently enjoy. It answered a need, it filled a niche in support of travelers like me in planning trips without risk, way into the future where dates and timetable are still very fluid. Unfortunately their rapid growth seemingly made them lose sight of their mission and/or lose oversight of their team's professionalism in the business of customer service. Their website constantly changes, more and more the change feels as if Booking.com purposely intends to catch/trick us patrons unawares falling into making reservations with strict terms and conditions. System change that made you think you are clicking the "save" button, to save the alteration you made on your no-penalty reservations, and BAM! Without any further warning, a notification popped saying you just made a commitment to a non-changeable non-refundable reservation.

In my case, it was a USD607 room charge! When I promptly (well within 2 minutes) did my due diligence to correct this error by calling Booking.com customers support phone line (I spoke with Olivia). She promised to contact the hotel to forfeit/reverse the charge. There was no news, no follow up until the following day. When I called again, the person were more interested in explaining how their system work and - too bad, so sad - "you did click to commit!" Soon after this 2nd call, I received an email from a certain S. **, a Booking.com Customer Service Team stating: "the hotel couldn't fulfill your request because this reservation is a non-refundable rate. Your reservation will remain the same with its original terms and conditions."

This is an unbelievable response from an entity operating within service industry! I contacted the hotel's reservation manager showing Booking.com's email response. The manager promptly responded to me, surprised and apologized to hear of the issues I had with my reservations via the Booking.com portal. The manager explained that generally any requests from Booking.com to the hotel are automatic and the hotel does not receive information nor explanations regarding the cancellation.

This was an eye opener to the industry as well as to us on how unprofessional Booking.com handled this situation - behind the scene. Booking.com certainly gave a bitter aftertaste to both parties they professed of serving. It is truly unfortunate that Booking.com now seemed to lose sight of their initial vision and mission. It became just another cutthroat industry, utilizing tricks for profit and employees who couldn't care less, who use shortcuts for their easy way out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Almost a year ago I made a reservation at Sheraton Boston through Booking.com. I am getting ready to travel to this location and I called the hotel to confirm my reservation. The hotel told me my 5-day stay would be $1300 more than what I booked it for through Booking.com. Since I made the reservation through Booking.com I then tried to call them to rectify the situation. I called Booking.com seven times and they told me that they would look into it and call me back later. They never called back. I kept calling and asked to speak to a manager. They put me on hold and finally hung up on me. I kept calling back; I kept asking to speak to a manager. Yuko told me she was in charge and could not help me. She said they would not honor the original price that I was quoted.

I asked to speak to Yuko's supervisor, she told me his name was Yasuko but he does not have a phone or email and would not take my call if I tried to talk with him. This is Fraud! They advertised a price of $401 dollars per night, but the Sheraton told me that they would not accept that amount for my stay. The Sheraton was charging $629 per night. This is over a $1300 difference from what Booking.com offered. They advertise one price and switched the total significantly after the booking was complete.

I am traveling to the Boston Sheraton for a convention at that hotel. Booking.com told me that the only thing they could do is help me find another hotel. Since I was attending a conference at that Sheraton I could not move locations. They refused to match the price of my original booking that was made almost one year prior. They have terrible customer service and are using false advertising techniques to get bookings! BEWARE!!! Do not use Booking.com

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I Timmy ** went through now on my 3rd horrible experience in with Booking.com, made reservations to Orlando, FL and I was charged immediately not upon arrival $529 and I had to cancel. The cancellation wasn't free like advertising says, booking wasn't free, I was charged $191 to cancel. Everything was non-refundable!!! Booking.com are total scam artist and need to sued and taken off the market. To make things worse to talk to someone about it or get your money back is totally impossible!!! No one and no one should use these people as a business, and if you do get to talk to someone, they are foreign. Never American...so (scammers)!!! That all they ** do!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

In February I made a reservation at the Hotel Deutsches Theater (Landwehrstrasse) in Munich, Germany for a three-day stay in May. After completing the reservation, my itinerary had to be changed, so I had to cancel. Booking.com sent me an email confirming the cancellation, but the hotel went ahead and charged my credit card for the full amount of the stay. THREE MONTHS BEFORE THE CHECK-IN DATE! EVEN THOUGH I'D CANCELLED. I have sent the hotel three emails asking to be refunded, but they refuse to reply. The same is true for Booking.com. Now I have had to open a dispute with my bank to recover my funds. This puts me off Booking.com. And, needless to say, the shady hotel as well.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My experience with booking.com was not a good one. I will never use them again. I made a hotel arrangement through booking.com in January for an upcoming event in February. Less than 48 hours after booking the hotel I needed to cancel due to unfortunate circumstances. They make it impossible for you to actually talk to someone. I could only contact them through emails. I asked if I could cancel my booking. I was told no they do not give cancellations. I asked if I could rebook for a different date and was also told NO.

After sending emails back-and-forth booking.com said they would talk to the Hyatt hotel to see if they would cancel my room or if they would let me re-book a new trip. Booking.com never even emailed me back. Then I see a charge on my February statement booking.com charge my credit card the full amount. This whole experience was horrible and expensive. I still can’t believe booking.com charge my card for a service that I never received.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The location was in poor shape. The room smelled terrible and was still in un-repaired condition from the storm. Booking.com listed this as a three star recommendation after they cancelled my other booking. Booking.com is not a reliable source for recommendations if they list this as a three star. I had two older people with me and they were very disappointed in the stay. No towels in the room and no shower curtain. Booking.com cancelled my original reservation as I reached the city, then they reached the conclusion that it was my fault. Go figure. Very disappointed in the handling of this matter by Booking.com.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

On 07/02/19 I booked Chalk Cottage Lewes, UK for 3 nights total cost GBP461.10 with a deposit of GBP130.50 paid at the time. After finding Airbnb had the same property for GBP371.12 I contacted Booking.com and requested either a price match or refund only to be informed a screenshot of the Airbnb offer for the dates booked was required. Of course this was not possible because once my booking was processed the cottage was no longer available for those dates to do a screen shot. In this instance proof of claim cannot be provided although checking of dates either side of my booking would confirm the Airbnb price. Booking.com are hiding behind "policy" to once again deny a legitimate claim.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I reserved a 2 night stay near Mount Rushmore with the understanding that I could pay at checkout. Now my credit card has been charged the full two night stay. I tried calling Booking.com to get a refund and they said to call the hotel. I called the hotel and they said to call Booking.com. Now I’m in an endless loop with no resolution to the issue and my credit card tapped out. They also told me there are no options to cancel or modify the reservation. Don’t use Booking.com!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

1.5 years ago I used this site to book my Myrtle Beach vacation and boy was that a mistake. I used my credit card to secure the location with the understand that I could use any payment method upon arrival. When I arrived I gave my debit card and my credit card was still charged which put my account $800 over my limit. They refused to help me with the problem and the hotel basically said, "Oh well. We got our money." My credit score has been impacted by more than 200 points and I've lost almost everything in my life because of it. To this day I'm still fighting with the creditors about this with no end in sight. These people are reprehensible and don't care whatsoever for anyone or anything other than their bottom dollar. I'm going to Priceline from now on!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I started using Booking.com about 3 months ago. I travel every week and was offered additional miles for booking on this site. There is NO forgiveness here. I booked a flight into Abilene TX, so it took me to the hotels there, I changed it to Eastland TX but it opened in a second screen. When I confirmed it was to Abilene not Eastland. I immediately called. They told me read the fine print. Priceline may not give me the airline points but the customer service is worth it!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I stayed at Royal Rooms Rome on 22nd Sep and they kindly decided to take £253 off of me the following month after my arrival. They had swiped my credit card and have denied it all yet my bank contacted them and they provided the receipt. My bank could see it was fraud because there was no signature. I have contacted Booking.com and sent over 50 emails to ask them to remove the hotel so other people are not stolen from. I always get a standard response and I’ve just been passed to a different person every time. The hotel denied taking the money so Booking.com are doing nothing. I’ll never book through them again and I’ll tell everybody that the Royal Rooms is the dodgiest hotel ever.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My husband and I booked a stay at a holiday park through booking.com. This holiday park had glowing reviews and looked awesome so we booked a non-refundable, self contained cabin. Booking.com quoted us one price, the holiday park removed a different amount from our credit card. When we questioned the management at the holiday park, they said it was a standard transaction fee for amounts of $500 and over. Nothing about this was mentioned in the information we received from Booking.com.

Booking.com made it look like the family friendly activities offered at the holiday park (mini-golf, laser tag etc) are included in the price of your stay. Found out upon arrival that they were not, you had to pay extra. Booking.com also made it look like free Wi-Fi was provided at the holiday park. Another lie, you had to pay extra for that too. This was getting ridiculous. We were disappointed but decided to make the best of a bad situation. We didn't really have much of a choice, we had just driven hours with our three young children and the last thing we wanted to do was ruin their Christmas.

We went to our cabin and were disgusted with how dirty it was. After walking on the floors barefoot for a few minutes, your feet were black and sticky. There was cobwebs and small piles of dead bugs everywhere and ants absolutely everywhere you looked. Especially in the cupboards where we were supposed to keep our food, there was no escaping them. It was disgusting. We were careful to take photos and document all the problems with the holiday park, screenshots of websites and our bank statement etc.

Management at the holiday park left a lot to be desired, the manager was condescending and rude so we figured if we documented everything that went wrong, we could take it up with Booking.com and they would help us. So, we finished the holiday from Hell and we called Booking.com. We were told that we would have to email through the screenshot of our bank statement, the photos and any other evidence we had that supported our claim that the holiday park was less than satisfactory. I should mention that in regards to the transaction fee we were charged, from the parks own website, it stated that these fees don't apply to payments made online and we had paid online. Seriously dodgy!

Anyway, we sent all this to Booking.com and they wrote back to us and said that they would be happy to refund us the transaction fee, about $16. At this point, I called them again. I told them that the transaction fees were not the point. The point was that the holiday park was not up to standard, it was dirty and we were misled by the glowing reviews, lovely photos and we were not given all the information aka being told that the holiday park activities like mini-golf were extra. The woman I spoke to sympathized, I was told to send in all my documentation and photos AGAIN! Only to receive an email from Booking.com that they had passed on all my concerns to the park, that Booking.com was very sorry but there was nothing they could do, the holiday park refused to offer compensation.

I wrote another email and complained and Booking.com wrote back and offered us 15% of our money back, about $160. Again, because of how unclean the accommodation was and how misleading the websites were, we felt that this was not good enough. So I emailed again, again expressing my unhappiness. Side note, anyone notice that in their emails they say they would have loved to speak with you in person but it was not a good time to call or they couldn't get through? Yeah, they never tried to call. Yet more lies. Anyway, the last email I got they again said that there was nothing they could do, they weren't obligated to do anything and the subpar standards of the accommodation wasn't their fault.

This email informed me that it was clearly stated on Booking.com that the mini-golf and other activities were not included and that Wi-Fi had to be paid for too. I swear, that information was NOT on the website... I went on there today and someone has edited the page and included not only about how the activities cost extra but that the Wi-Fi is extra and there will be extra transaction fees for amounts over $500! They failed to mention that these fees don't apply to online payments and I shudder to think how many people will pay more money and won't question it.

Also, the customer service rep who emailed me this last time claimed that they had been in constant contact with the holiday park in regards to compensation and it was the holiday park who refused to offer more than 15%. I called the holiday park and spoke to a lovely, helpful young woman. The only thing Booking.com ever sent them was our question about the transaction fees. They never passed on the photos, our complaints, nothing, the holiday park had no idea we had even complained about anything in the first place!

The lovely woman I spoke to said that she would look further into it but that she was almost 100% sure that no one from Booking.com ever called them or contacted them about our issues. She has agreed to put that in writing on the park's official stationery and I will be using that and all the other proof I have to report Booking.com to Consumer Affairs Victoria Australia and anyone else I can think of. This company is so unethical and they need to be stopped. Definite scam, do not trust them!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I booked a hotel through Booking.com and too late I realised the hotel shuttle wasn't free when I booked through them. On their website it appeared to be free as it was in heavy green type next to free wifi in the same type and alongside things like swimming pool and private beach which were obviously included in the price. Elsewhere on the website it was shown to be extra but you had to look quite hard for it. The saving on the hotel through Booking.com was nowhere near as much as the transfer cost. The hotel quoted 100 euros for the two transfers (there and back) and the saving through Booking.com was £13.00. If I had booked direct through the hotel the transfer would be free. Booking.com refused to compensate me despite their much flaunted price match as they insisted the information was on their website. I maintain the website was deliberately misleading. I shall avoid using Booking.com in the future.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

It appeared to be the hotel booking with me and I asked about AAA discount and received none but when checking in they confirmed there was one but too late to do anything that cost me $85 in addition. I feel I paid the highest price this room was ever booked for... In summary Booking.com is misleading, expensive and, non-flexible. I will never use Booking.com again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I booked a hotel room on Booking.com and canceled it the next day. In both the booking invoice and the cancelation notice, it stated that I was not to be charged for canceling. One month later, I have a $1400 charge on my account with the hotel stating that it was supposed to be non-refundable and it's not their fault Booking.com got it wrong. The customer service person at booking.com was entirely unhelpful. I know have to file a dispute with my bank card, which I will 100% win. Booking.com is shoddily run and borderline defrauding their customers.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I booked a hotel in Asheville but did not receive the email to verify my confirmation until 2 days later. When I clicked in their email it said that the time to verify had elapsed and my reservation was cancelled. I booked another hotel through their website. However, when we got home we were charged for the initial reservation even though Booking.com had cancelled it. I have emailed and they say they are looking into it but all they did was contact their original hotel and have them called me - Country Inn & Suites on Tunnel Road in Asheville - they will not refund my money. I will NEVER use Booking.com or stay in Country Inn & Suites again.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I attempted to utilize a coupon provided by Booking.com, promising an $80.00 refund to my credit card following my stay. Months later this refund has yet to take place. I have made several phone calls and have sent many emails in a effort to resolve the issue, all to no avail. This situation has left an unfortunate feeling of dishonesty and little concern for customer service.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

It was a great experience. Smooth and easy to do what I was looking for when I started using the site. Everything I needed done I got taken care of here. Was good overall. It was just as I hoped it would be.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have booked a hotel with them that had a free refund for a long time. I cancelled the hotel, $1215 on January 5th. It is now January 31st and I still have not received the refund. I called and email numerous times and they are making me deal directly with the hotel. The hotel doesn’t pick up the phone. I booked it through their website, not through the hotel and I think they should personally deal with the refund. I will never use them again!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Read your reservation very carefully. TOTAL should read SUBTOTAL. There is fine print long after the TOTAL, indicating further fees after you check in. So, review your confirmation very carefully as the TOTAL is not the TOTAL.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

This is regarding Confirmation Number: **, I was looking out for referral amount to be reflected after the stay of my friend. But it is saying booking is canceled in Booking.com so the referral amount will not be credit to both the person. This is **. We have bills of stay and either the hotel or Booking.com is doing ** thing.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I booked a 5 night stay through Booking.com for Wyndham Travelodge North Bay. I made my reservation back in Nov 2018 for March 2019. I rec'd an email Jan 27th from Booking.com requesting that I pay in advance to secure by reservation. This is a 1st for me... Never been asked to prepay for a room. I called the hotel just to confirm my booking... Response was, "We do not have your reservation. Booking.com should have never reserved this for you..." I was shocked. I then called Booking.com customer service and they said... "I have no idea how these things happen... Sorry. You will have to book at a different place. There are no other pet friendly hotels available during this time." Will I ever use bookings - duh... No. Next time you need to book online. Get a rate and call the hotel direct. They will meet or beat the online booking site. I found out this is how hotels are fighting back against online booking agents.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Booked a room at Marriott in Chicago. Called Marriot before my arrival, & Marriott explained that Booking has not reserved a room in my name. Result? No room, and had to scurry to find a room at another hotel, but Chicago booked and had to book a hotel 10 miles away. Bookings.com 'customer service' telephone number was busy for an entire day; did not answer emails, too. Had to work with American Express to get my money back. Robbers.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Just returned from Lima Peru where we rented an apartment on Booking.com. The property owner is trying to keep our entire security deposit for a dirty towel and a tiny piece of plastic on plastic veritical blinds (that was not broken by us) and the property owner is claiming that they are "Persian" blinds. This is obvious normal wear and tear on inexpensive items and it is beyond unfair to nitpick and pin this on us. Booking.com refuses to get involved and we feel so taken advantage of and violated in this process. It is beyond frustrating that booking.com is allowing this type of predatory behavior from one of their property owners. I urge you to use another rental platform and to make sure they offer renter protection from this type of behavior.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The accommodation we contracted to through their site was found to be not as portrayed when we stayed there overnight. We uploaded 5 shots of the hotel rooms sending these with our review, however these shots were not downloaded to their site. Initial response from Customer Service was very disappointing. After painstakingly taking screenshots shots of each stage of their booking progress to create an audit trail I was eventually contacted by Customer Service with a detailed personalised reply, apologies, recognition of the shots we sent them and an offer of a full refund.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I would like to share my experience with Booking.com: Over the past 3 month- I have had many issues with guests who claimed they did not receive any information that was sent to them regarding their reservation and normally that happened whenever it was a guest who had booked over one of your partner websites (e.g. Priceline), guests who somehow never came across the room information and details like "1 bed" in the room. Guests who also claim that I was stealing because it was advertised as e.g. $99/night but then failed to see the tax and cleaning charges. I understand that most likely the answer to those matters is the information is there, it is neither your fault or mine that they did not read it, which is fair point, however, if it consistently happens, which it did, then there must a problem with the information layout.

Misleading guest information- Many guests, have provided phone numbers that do not work, and credits that are never updated once marked invalid, or guests who simply do not show up and when they are called, there is no reply. Upon contacting your customer service, as to how can I charge them according to our policy, because like you, I am also running a business and there is a certain way that things are to be handled. The response from your team was that they will call and email the guest requesting payment, but what good is that if there is no actual repercussions to them. When a property owner, doesn't refund or is requested to refund and it is deemed "correct", we are invoiced for it and obliged to pay you back, but when a guest provides faulty information and blocks a calendar for weeks in advance, but doesn't show up or pay, absolutely nothing happens to them.

There have been 2 very distinct instances were I contacted by Booking.com requesting I refund the guest or otherwise it would be done on my behalf and then invoiced to me. There was no consideration for the situation, I was never asked to explain or even have a say in the situation. 1) The guests first wanted to cancel the reservation free of charge, and that was declined. They did check in and then asked if we had an ocean view, which we do not. I apologised and explained the situation to him. Shortly afterwards, I receive an email from Booking.com where they say that the guest is unhappy with his view.

All our rooms are on the ground floor and the view is very limited. (I had requested for the description to be amended once in the very beginning over the phone and then about a month ago, but that was never done.) He initially wanted to be completely refunded because he had to bear with the view of the commercial plaza in front, which was also neighbouring my office. The windows do have shutter blinds that allow them to be opened but provide privacy as well. I then had to refund them 30% which is the minimum they would accept for not liking their view.

2) This Sunday, the guest believed that "double bed" meant 2 beds, which is not correct. She called immediately because she claimed that she had booked 2 beds, however that was not the case. It started off with the issue being that there was only 1 bed, then she starting saying that the room was not what she thought, and the pictures showed a kitchen and sofa. The pictures she is referring to, belong to one specific room, and it is shown in the description, but not the room that she had booked, and lastly that the picture I was telling her that indicated the room she booked, has the bed on the right, but in the actual room it is on the left.

I do not believe that is a reasonable allegation, the rooms are exactly like the pictures and it is true that the bed position is different, but I do not understand how that can be labeled as false advertisement. When she first called, I called Booking.com because I was certain that there was no explanation that I could give would satisfy her or give results. When I spoke to the resentative, she said that I was right, and there was no need for me to refund her, as she was asking for that, because my descriptions are clear and it is not my fault she was not able to understand, additionally she said she would call them and explain the situation.

What happened afterwards, was unbelievable. The guest called me back and starting yelling and arguing and demanding that I speak with her because I needed to answer for this. At this point, I did not feel safe to come near to them because I have had previous bad experiences with upset guests who physically harmed my father (my father and I work together and at the time he was more involved in the rentals).

Booking.com at this point did not fail to send the email advising that I needed to refund them or that would be done on my behalf. I ended having to refund them completely because they wanted me to upgrade their room, but I was not able to, I had no other rooms, or simply refund them all the money for false advertisement. Booking.com did not respond to call afterwards, and they were never able to reach me because for some reason, your system has never been able to call my number, however it is the same number I use day in and day out.

Today I receive an email stating that a guest who cancelled was refunded, but we never charged him... And there is no explanation attached. The customer service is beyond me - how poorly me and many other owners are treated, there is no support when guests are disrespectful and try to scam you. I asked to speak to a supervisor and 3 weeks later I am still awaiting a response.

Booking.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs