3.08/5
Based on 2,508 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Booking.com

Looking for a travel site?

3398 Booking.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 31, 2019

I have used the site before and found it very helpful. However, my most recent visit to Tampa, FL left me thinking wondering what process Booking.com took to properly vet the hotels they use. The hotel was HORRIBLE!!!! There was no indication that the rooms were outside access like a motel. The room was dirty and smelled. The first thing I thought of was that it looked like a place where prostitutes and pimps frequented!!! I went back to the office and requested a refund. The lady at the front desk gave me a “we hear that all the time” look and dismissed the charges. However, it took a week before the funds were returned to me. My family was able to find another hotel and we were told that they got lots of complaints about the hotel. I am hesitant to trust Booking.com to find a hotel after that terrible experience.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Long term reservations were made for my husband and son for a job. An emergency arose and they needed to leave. Manager would not undo the prepaid charges without Booking.com calling to change the dates to undo the long term reservation. There is a phone number for the motel, but they never answer the phone. I asked the agent if she would be willing to call my husband and have him give the phone to the manager. She agreed and all was taken care of in one phone call.

I had to wait quite a while on hold, but it was all worth it. The manager told me that if I had booked through him directly, he could have handled this himself, but I told him what happens every time you call... Once "0" is pushed for the operator, the call disconnects. He found out something he didn't know in that phone call as well. It all worked out in the end and I can't thank Booking.com enough for helping me take care of this. I've been using them for about 3-4 years now and never had a bad experience. I will continue to use them in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Me and my wife went on a trip to the Bahamas. After the first night in our "resort" we checked out and switched to another place. Our original resort was booked thru Booking.com. I called them before checking out, made sure that our trip was refundable. The person I spoke to told me the nights we didn't use would be refunded 24-48 hours later. The resort also said they were okay with refunding the website as soon as the refund request would come thru.

A week later, after many failed attempts to get in touch with the hotel, I called Booking.com. The man I spoke to was not very helpful and seemed to have trouble communicating with me. There was a language barrier and also a lack of will to do his job. After a frustrating conversation that was getting nowhere I felt like I was cheated out of my near 800.00 I was expecting back.

At this point I was very upset and would have left a 1 star review and still feel like to that point I was poorly treated. BUT, then I called to make one final attempt to get my money back. A lady by the name of Susie picked up. I explained my situation and told her about my whole experience. She informed me with a lot of new correct information and the refund process. The email return request would be sent to the resort 24-48 hours after I called not refunded, then the resort can take up to 5-7 days to respond. Then it would take an additional 10-15 business days for the refund to be sent. None of this is anything I wanted to hear but was still happy to be properly informed finally.

Since the resort wasn't returning any of my phone calls and the 7 days had passed since the email was sent out I explained my concern and asked if anything else could be done. Not only did she call the resort and established communication with the accounting department for me she spoke to the manager there the following day and got them to accept the refund moments later saving me 5-7 days of waiting time. She followed up. I still have to wait for my refund for 10-15 business days but honestly that is a lot better than never seeing my money back. But for someone to follow up with me like they said they would, at the exact time, and date and go out of their way to resolve an issue, and provide correct information the first time around take someone else's mistakes and correct them is why I left this review. Susie I appreciate the work you did for me. This is what true customer service is.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Booked an inn with Booking.com. Some time later I found a lower cost at another site. Recorded the offer (took photographs indicating offer and date) and sent to Booking.com. They instantly reacted with an offer to discount the distinction after we have finished our inn remain, and introduced the receipt. Recently I sent the receipt, and at the beginning of today I presented the record points of interest for the discount per Booking.com ask. Guarantee acknowledged and I ought to expect discount in 7-10 days. I am absolutely awed with the manner in which Booking.com handle such demand. The imperative thing is to ensure that the bring down value you find is for the equivalent correct thing: same lodging, dates, abrogation approach and so forth). Likewise, make a point to take a picture of the offer. This will have a date stamp which Booking.com.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Booked a hotel with Booking.com. Some time later I found a lower price at another site. Documented the offer (took photos showing offer and date) and forwarded to Booking.com. They promptly responded with an offer to refund the difference after we have completed our hotel stay, and presented the invoice. Yesterday I sent the invoice, and this morning I submitted the account details for the refund per Booking.com request. Claim accepted and I should expect refund in 7-10 days. I am certainly impressed with the way Booking.com handle such request. The important thing is to make sure that the "lower price you find is for the same exact thing: same hotel, dates, cancellation policy etc). Also, make sure to take an image of the offer. This will have a date stamp which Booking.com cannot dispute.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

HOSTS: avoid working with this company; they are constantly in breach of Terms and Conditions and are withholding money from Hosts in some cases for up to a year. I have recently become a victim of this being a host with Booking.com, and they are ignoring my calls and messages and emails. I then started doing some research on the internet, started connecting with other hosts and travellers, and I was completely shocked and disgusted how many people there are out there who are ignored by Booking.com.

My situation is not as bad compare to others (as of today 16/08/2019, they are withholding payout worth of 1,400 GBP, for now over 3 months), but I learned that there are hotels, and individual hosts, who are waiting for sums over 5 to 10K to be paid out to them. I am now seeking legal advice as well as trying to contact the press to see if I can have someone to write about this. If anyone has experienced this before, please get in touch with me, and I will add you to my case list to share with press.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I booked a room at the Best Western through Booking.com. I was not told that I could not leave my car at the hotel if I did not book directly through the hotel. I canceled on Booking.com, and I was charged $205.92. My reservation was for August 24. I will NEVER use Booking.com again.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I booked a room at Rich Eliat Suites in Israel. As soon as I arrived, I was taken aback that the pictures on Booking.com website was not a true reflection of this hotel, which in my opinion was very run down, dirty and the rooms were very small. Even before I checked in I asked the manager to look at the room. I smelled a strong chemical odor and started feeling sick. The room was run down and did not depict what was on Booking.com's website. I immediately informed the manager that I wanted to cancel my reservation. He refused. After waiting 45 minutes on hold with Booking.com, they said that the manager disagreed with me and that they couldn't help. I wound up filing a dispute with my credit card company..a nightmare! I wound up spending triple the amount to find another hotel on my own..took me three hours to do so! I will never use Booking.com again!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Booked a hotel online. Showed up at hotel at 1130 pm. Kids in tow and hotel was overbooked! Had to travel to the next town over to find available hotel! Our card was charged for first hotel. I called hotel. They couldn't help till manager came in. Meanwhile our money is gone! I call booking. They were rude, sent me to multiple people, gave me run around and eventually said I would get refund in 3 days! It's now 130 am. We’re in New, much more expensive hotel and out money for the first kids are crabby. Husband is pissed, because "why use booking, why not just call hotel!" Booking promises to refund 1st hotel charge and difference from second..fast forward home 2 weeks still no refund!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

We booked Swan River Inn Montana thru Booking.com. It was never apparent during the reservation that it has a unreasonably stringent and unusual cancellation practice. We had assumed the normal 24 to 72 hour prior free cancellation that are routine on most online sites. Imagine our shock when we needed to cancel more than 2 weeks prior to the arrival date that the facility charges $40.50 cancellation fee once reserved and no refund at all within 14 days prior to the stay. Reading the confirmation email again, we also discovered that people are usually not at the premise, keys are left for the guests. As well, there was no contacting the facility directly! Bookings.com rep said she would email the property but could not say when and if the property will respond because there is no phone contact, only email and guests cannot contact the property directly.

We belatedly noticed a review about dirty rooms and filthy towels (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g45084-d252380-r520338208-Swan_River_Inn-Bigfork_Montana.html). When a property is not staffed most of the time, it's no wonder the place is filthy and not cared for. If the place is not staffed most of the time and even Booking cannot contact them directly by phone, how can it be maintained well? This place is not listed under many popular online sites. Again, no wonder, it apparently does not meet the basic standard for online hotel booking. The confirmation email contained no customer service phone number. We had to Google to find the number. We will not reserve rooms through Booking.com in the future because they appear to have lower standard by taking on properties like this one that operates a scam. They are getting away with highway robbery. Think twice, thrice, before booking.

Booking.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs