3.19/5
Based on 2,526 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Booking.com

Looking for a travel site?

3279 Booking.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 31, 2019

I have used the site before and found it very helpful. However, my most recent visit to Tampa, FL left me thinking wondering what process Booking.com took to properly vet the hotels they use. The hotel was HORRIBLE!!!! There was no indication that the rooms were outside access like a motel. The room was dirty and smelled. The first thing I thought of was that it looked like a place where prostitutes and pimps frequented!!! I went back to the office and requested a refund. The lady at the front desk gave me a “we hear that all the time” look and dismissed the charges. However, it took a week before the funds were returned to me. My family was able to find another hotel and we were told that they got lots of complaints about the hotel. I am hesitant to trust Booking.com to find a hotel after that terrible experience.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Long term reservations were made for my husband and son for a job. An emergency arose and they needed to leave. Manager would not undo the prepaid charges without Booking.com calling to change the dates to undo the long term reservation. There is a phone number for the motel, but they never answer the phone. I asked the agent if she would be willing to call my husband and have him give the phone to the manager. She agreed and all was taken care of in one phone call.

I had to wait quite a while on hold, but it was all worth it. The manager told me that if I had booked through him directly, he could have handled this himself, but I told him what happens every time you call... Once "0" is pushed for the operator, the call disconnects. He found out something he didn't know in that phone call as well. It all worked out in the end and I can't thank Booking.com enough for helping me take care of this. I've been using them for about 3-4 years now and never had a bad experience. I will continue to use them in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Me and my wife went on a trip to the Bahamas. After the first night in our "resort" we checked out and switched to another place. Our original resort was booked thru Booking.com. I called them before checking out, made sure that our trip was refundable. The person I spoke to told me the nights we didn't use would be refunded 24-48 hours later. The resort also said they were okay with refunding the website as soon as the refund request would come thru.

A week later, after many failed attempts to get in touch with the hotel, I called Booking.com. The man I spoke to was not very helpful and seemed to have trouble communicating with me. There was a language barrier and also a lack of will to do his job. After a frustrating conversation that was getting nowhere I felt like I was cheated out of my near 800.00 I was expecting back.

At this point I was very upset and would have left a 1 star review and still feel like to that point I was poorly treated. BUT, then I called to make one final attempt to get my money back. A lady by the name of Susie picked up. I explained my situation and told her about my whole experience. She informed me with a lot of new correct information and the refund process. The email return request would be sent to the resort 24-48 hours after I called not refunded, then the resort can take up to 5-7 days to respond. Then it would take an additional 10-15 business days for the refund to be sent. None of this is anything I wanted to hear but was still happy to be properly informed finally.

Since the resort wasn't returning any of my phone calls and the 7 days had passed since the email was sent out I explained my concern and asked if anything else could be done. Not only did she call the resort and established communication with the accounting department for me she spoke to the manager there the following day and got them to accept the refund moments later saving me 5-7 days of waiting time. She followed up. I still have to wait for my refund for 10-15 business days but honestly that is a lot better than never seeing my money back. But for someone to follow up with me like they said they would, at the exact time, and date and go out of their way to resolve an issue, and provide correct information the first time around take someone else's mistakes and correct them is why I left this review. Susie I appreciate the work you did for me. This is what true customer service is.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I had an absolutely terrible experience with Days Inn Lundys Lane Niagara last week. I had booked a spa bath five days in advance. I had phoned at 3:30 to confirm my booking and told everything was fine. I arrived at 7:30 and the room was given away. We were downgraded to a room I would have never chosen at that cost. It was a long weekend so we were virtually hostage to the situation. It would have been very difficult this late in the game to find a room. When we left the hotel had grossly overcharged our credit card. The room at been booked at $144 but they had charged our credit card $344 plus $150 security plus parking which they had promised to waive tying up over $500 on our credit card. When I contacted the general manager she was rude and unhelpful.

It wasn't until Booking.com got involved that I received any compensation for this terrible experience. I've had this happen before. I have a feeling that motels are blaming the booking agents when they sell rooms that are reserved at a higher price. I've had my spa bath given away on four different occasions with the motel blaming the agency. I know the motel had the reservation and the room was prepaid. There was no acceptable explanation for them to sell our room and leave us with a subpar arrangement. I so appreciate Booking.com for making the motel accountable for what they had done.

Original review: July 23, 2018

My daughter and a friend flew from California to New York City. They arrived late at the Hotel Pennsylvania and waited approx. 2+ hours in line for a room. They and everyone else in line were told that there were no more rooms. My daughter then went up to the desk and showed her paid in full reservation. She was given a key and after getting upstairs to the room they discovered that it was occupied. At 4 in the morning in a city that neither of them knew it was a very "unhappy" situation. They then had to go out and find a hotel for themselves.

It seems that unless you say that you are a late arrival (which I did when making the reservation, as this was mom's treat) it is almost next to impossible to get a room before 3pm. After many email exchanges and talking on the phone to numerous people at Booking.com, they not only were able to get the hotel to refund our money BUT they helped to pay the difference in the new hotel. It took a month because the Hotel Pennsylvania kept trying to recharge the charges (between two different credit cards) and Booking.com kept in touch with me to make sure that everything was to our satisfaction. How often does that happen these days? Everyone was pleasant, helpful and assured me that they were on top of things. I would recommend to anyone Booking.com! And when we book a hotel again we will use them again. Thank you to all that helped us with this mess.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: June 25, 2019

We checked into a hotel booked through Booking.com. When we arrived we were told by the hotel that our room type and agreed upon price did not match what they received. The hotel was disgusting as well.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Yesterday, because of a work-related emergency, I cancelled my Best Western reservation. Booking.com refused defer charging my account, blaming Best Western. When I called Best Western, I was informed that Booking.com made that decision, not them, and suggested that I book directly through them next time. Oh, believe me, I WILL.

Original review: June 25, 2019

We purchased your tickets through Booking.com and canceled the next day. There was a complete refund if you needed to cancel. That was almost 2 weeks ago, I email customer service and get rude replies, basically saying it’s up to my bank when I get my refund. That is a lie! I looked into this and my bank has nothing to do with it, beware if you order through Booking.com and need to cancel YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR MONEY BACK! We are also canceling our group hotel rooms/tickets we’ve purchased and will never use this site again!

Original review: June 25, 2019

We reserved 2 rooms for 5 days at CARIBBEAN SEA GUEST HOUSE at Hong Kong. We arrived 10 mins late. No one inform us that if didn’t show up on the first day, the whole 5 days reservation will be cancelled. We paid the 5 days stay yet they’re blaming us for no show on our 1st day. Booking.com and Caribbean Sea Guest House is blaming each other. We don't care about their issue. We just want to justify our side that we still have 4 days left. Super inconsiderate, we have infant with us. 1 star rating is not enough to show how disappointed we are.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Booked a stay for a Charleston, SC trip and due to unforeseen circumstances needed to cancel. We thought no big deal, we’ve done this before. 18 days later, 4 phone calls, copy of bank statements sent, double charged and still no refund. Booking.com casts the blame on the hotel. You are in the business of making reservations for people. If I wanted to deal with the hotel directly I wouldn’t be on your site. I’ve now been told by the hotel to call back and speak to the manager tomorrow.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Imagine being overbooked by this company right before a long weekend? Booking.com did just that and try to blame it on the hotel. They overbooked me and wanted me to find a room last minute. So I asked them to transition me to another hotel, rightfully in my eyes it should be their responsibility and not mine to find an alternative. Their answer "sorry sir but we can't do that for you"???? I'm livid and will never ever give them or their affiliates any business. Horrible experience, go with some other company.

Original review: June 23, 2019

4 weeks before my trip to I was looking for places to stay. After realising I chose the wrong place (Sempione) I immediately cancelled. They took the money anyway. Twice. When I complained I got one of those back (minus a few dollars). Extremely unfair. Booking.com could do nothing else to help.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I booked a hotel based on location near a bus station for travel. Turned out this was not a hotel at all but an apartment. When I followed the map from the bus station to find the "hotel" I could find nothing. Turns out the reception for this hotel was 2 km away although the ad didn't make that clear. I tried calling the number for the "reception" but no one answered. I was forced to find another hotel at night on my own. On top of that the "hotel" which didn't answer their phone then charged me for the room that I never found.

Original review: June 22, 2019

There is no reason to use Booking.com when looking for a accommodation. Customer service is really bad, rates are not discounted compared to direct bookings and they will not try to resolve any issues that may come up with your booking. They simply act as postbox between you and hotel so you will be much better off talking directly to hotel who will usually have some sort customer service policy. Frustrating dealing with Booking.com who will add no value to your experience.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Not recommended, terrible customer experience. They will not help much in any issue or request you might need and many of their booking recently done through other agent. Many times the room are more expensive than other major booking site.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I found a house in Orlando on Booking.com to rent for our family this summer. It said it was non-refundable, but that was okay as we were happy with the advertised price and location of the home. The photos seemed kind of odd but I trusted that the place would be good based on previous reviews of the home. Turns out it was a property rental place advertising through Booking.com named Affordable Orlando. They take homes that people own that don't live in year round and rent them out for them.

The problem started right after I clicked to accept the amount and reserve the house. Immediately they charged my card and sent me an email saying so. Then the next day I get an email from them saying I needed to "register" on their site. I clicked the link and it took me to a page that made me waive any rights I may have to any harm coming to me or my family while in the home. Then it forced me to pay for insurance that I didn't want or need to supposedly protect me should something happen in the home. Really? You force me to waive my rights and then offer me (at a cost) a way to protect myself which I wouldn't need had you not forced me to waive my rights. The cost of this insurance? Another $150! And it seems it's mandatory that you take this insurance or your reservation isn't guaranteed.

None of this was in the terms of the listing and were not previously agreed to by me. So I don't care if it was non-refundable, clicking that button to reserve the property was a legal contract of which you cannot change the terms on AFTER both parties sign (agree). I contacted Booking.com to tell them about this fraudulent practice by one of the companies posting on their site. I mistakenly thought they would care and do something about it, but a month later and they still haven't. This company was notified I cancelled the listing and why and refuses to refund my money and Booking.com is doing nothing to help.

I am going through my credit card company to get my money back but I will NEVER again use Booking.com. They are not the least bit interested in vetting these shoddy companies posting on their site and do nothing to help their customer. I never would've rented from this Affordable Orlando business as I'd never heard of them, but they bank on people trusting Booking.com's listings. Now I am telling everyone to avoid this site. If they aren't going to offer protections for their customers, then they shouldn't be in this business. It's on them to make sure they have reputable companies posting on their site, not mine! Beware of Booking.com!

Original review: June 20, 2019

Terrible customer service. They will do nothing. Had to modify reservations and they wouldn't. Charged three months before the reservation and there is no cancellation or modification policy. Such a scam company.

Original review: June 20, 2019

We used Booking.com thinking it was the best way to go but 15 min in the reservation my employer notified me that I would not be allowed to take the weekend off. We tried to cancel and Booking.com said it was up to the hotel and when we called Hotel Corpus Christi they said it was up to Booking.com. So nevertheless we still got charged for the stay the full price and we did not stay at the hotel. WE WILL NEVER USE BOOKING.COM EVER AGAIN.

Original review: June 20, 2019

The process of logging in is confusing that led me to do a double booking for a room in a hotel that was partially non-refundable (which somehow I also missed).

I only realized my mistake when reviewing charges to credit card. Although I tried to cancel with more than a week in advance, I got charged almost the whole price of the room. I will never use this website again. It is terribly confusing.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I would like to express my millions of thanks to Mr ** for his help. He help me out of the mess when I book hotel in Niagara Falls. I am totally in panic mode. Feel very grateful to him. Please pass my thanks to him for his wonderful service through phone.

Original review: June 19, 2019

This company unlike their competitors DO NOT allow homeowners to read or write reviews on guests who have stayed at their property. Homeowners have no true format to determine if the individual is a problematic guest. If a issue occur and/or property is damaged the homeowner has very little recourse and Booking.com still allow the problem guests to leave a negative review in retaliation to the homeowner complaint. Best to use a company that screens the guests as well as the homeowners.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Booking cancelled a reservation I made 5 months ago for the 21st of June on June 18th, 3 days before my trip. They did tell me that it was over booked but they could get me a room for nearly twice the rate I booked for. Save time and money and deal directly with hotel. I gave them 1 star as app would not allow 0.

Original review: June 18, 2019

We reserved an apartment on Booking.com but the apartment owner did not show up at the arranged time. We were early and waited an hour but they did not show up. So we sent a message we were going to find lodging elsewhere. Booking.com claimed that we were not at the apartment at the arranged time and will not pursue the evidence we provided them. They refused to refund our payment. Their customer service agents are extremely rude. The customer service number is not on their website, nor do they provide any other way to contact them regarding problems with a reservation. I found the customer service phone number through Google (888-850-3958). I recommend checking one of the other room reservation sites that are far better than Booking.com (Expedia and Hotwire, for example).

Original review: June 18, 2019

The property that I rented months in advance for a long weekend in Montreal had been removed from the site and no one let me know. I was already catching the train to Montreal when I found out that I had no apartment to go to. It was the Formula One Weekend. In a panic (there was nothing left, in my price range) I contacted booking.com and they sent me an email with three "substitute" places to stay that were from a partner organization Agoda. I had initially rented a full apartment with kitchen, private bathroom, living room and bedroom. The "substitute" I was offered (for the same price) was a tiny jail cell of a dirty room with a bathroom shared between an entire floor.

You could basically touch both walls with your hands simultaneously and the walls were a type of particle board that made it sound like our neighbours were in the same room with us. Not so great when your neighbours are snoring and doing other things that you don't want to hear. We moved out after the first two nights following a fire alarm evacuation early in the morning. Neither company, Agoda or Booking.com, said that they could give me a refund. I have been passed between about 8 different people at booking.com all treating me with insincere concern and sympathy but doing absolutely nothing. Now neither company will reimburse me any of the money that I have lost and I am out-of-pocket over $600 for a nightmare of an experience. DO NOT BOOK WITH BOOKING.COM. The customer service is a very bad joke.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Booking.com. Confirmation number: **. PIN code: **. "Your card was declined. Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort was unable to process your credit card details because it was declined. Please provide alternative credit card details. We kindly ask that you." Hi I paid online to the hotel rs 35400 inr. It's a very horrible stay in Novatel. As per the room suggested by you is totally different which was recommended by Booking.com and I selected. Hotel is saying that they have only this room left. I think they entertain this kind if you book a hotel from Booking.com. We hire the hotel for 5 nights package. But we are going to left it after 2 days only. I've lost 3 days tariff. Courtesy goes to Booking.com. My losses are approximately rs 21000/-.pls. do favour if you can. Hotel pay very poor attention to Booking.com consumers. I'm checking out hotel 3 days before even I paid the full amount.

Original review: June 18, 2019

If possible I would have given them negative rating. Worst website and after sale service. None of their customer care number works. It has been a devastating experience with this website. Once you make the booking they won't forget to cut money but if you want to reach them out regarding any issues they are always unavailable. All contact number are fraud. Booking directly in hotel or Cleartrip.com or MakeMyYrip are much better service provider.

Original review: June 18, 2019

In early May 2019 I rented an apartment on Booking.com on a non-cancellable and non-refundable basis. Shortly after, Booking.com unilaterally canceled my reservation without first asking me. Initially, they claimed the Apartment was no longer available for rent but then they changed their story and wrote that the apartment owner was taking credit card numbers to engage in fraud. They did not provide any proof and in France Visa cards are debit cards so that amount was taken out of my account. I had paid 1000 euro and Booking is refusing to take any responsibility and is asking that I work it out with my bank. My bank is stating that I must sign an affidavit that I did not voluntarily provide my credit card number - which obviously I did since I was reserving on the Booking.com website.

Booking.com has provided no proof of their allegations, they are not reading any of the documents I submitted showing that I cannot honestly sign the affidavit and are simply giving me the runaround. They are gambling that customers will not sue them for a 1000 euro loss and will just give up. Throughout the many exchanges they have consistently misrepresented what they would do to help. At one point they wrote that if I provided proof that the money was charged to my account they would reimburse me - I provided it the same day but they ignored the documents and again stated that I should work with my bank. Find an alternative if you can.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Very good location. Easy and very good access to departure at airport. But check-in always a problem and lift system awful especially if you are on top floors, very long wait and packed. Check-in never produces room key.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I booked a hotel for a night and after an awful experience, I found the website is deceptive. I went back and selected the same hotel I stayed in and scrolled through the reviews that pop up in the upper right-hand corner and every one of them was positive. I spent a few minutes, which I should have done before booking, and found the real reviews. This is deception at it's finest.

Original review: June 16, 2019

Had terrible experience with Booking.com. Their website is poorly built and does not communicate properly with the hotel. I booked for 5 people and was given room of 4 people. On calling, they told me that I should have been careful while booking. My point is, when I'm putting 5 people in search, why the website is offering me room of 4 people. That gave me impression that there is a sofa-cum-bed in the room. But again they don't have any details about that. The customer service was poor. The agents were disrespectful and intermittently shouting at me and in the end, the supervisor disconnected the phone. Shame on Booking.com.... Will never book again with them in my life.

Booking.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs