1.18/5
Based on 586 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

2484 Booking.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

Rent a vacation home then get your CC charged some $500 more, and it's not a security deposit. We have been renting vacation home online since early 2002. We have been using VRBO for many years. We did read a review this year that someone saved $230 by renting from the main rental site, not others sites that then charge more. So we found a vacation home on VRBO for $1,900. In checking other sites my wife finds the same house for $1,720 on Vacasa website. Nice, I check and it's listed on Booking.com for $1,500. My wife was surprised that Booking.com now does vacation rentals.

So I go with Booking.com and all the way through the registration process the only price shown is $1,500 for the 10 day stay at this same rental house others are charging more, maybe they are that cheap. Booking.com offers free cancellations 30 days before your date, they also show "no additional fees for using a credit card". Last thing to press and the sites shows the rental house photo and $1,500 for the 10 day stay. I click and the next screen is "$2.020 will be charged to your account"? Where did $500 come from. It seems they do not show these "fees" until they charge you!!! So I cancel the reservation in 45 seconds and receive and E-mail stating the "happy vacation" was canceled 2 minutes later.

At least that was fast and accurate. My wife then goes to Vacasa website and rents the same house 2 minutes later for the $1,720. My phone dings and my bank states a $1,720 charge to my CC. So what Booking.com is doing is ONLY showing what the owners are charging, not the hundreds of dollars in fees that are connected to the vacation rentals. Even ours has $400 in "fee" of administrative and cleaning/sheets. Booking.com shows ONLY the price the owners want, NONE of the extra fees are ever shown until your credit card is charged.

I did write to the BBB and state my extreme dissatisfaction of this trickery. We do small 2-3 day trips at times and have used a couple hotel rentals and always get the total room cost before approving. Some hotels charge more, some have specials and know there are additional taxes. A hotel a mile away can be $40 less. But the total is always shown. I should have done a screenshot of the $1,500 rental price before clicking "approval", that is pure fraud!

Original review: June 18, 2018

We made a reservation at Radio City apartments, 1231.770.081, in NY for the 25 - 28 May through Booking two months before our stay. Following our first reservation we made a phone call to Radio City apartments, which confirmed that the reservation was correct. Two days before our stay we send an e-mail through Booking.com specifying our arrival time. Radio City apartments confirmed the e-mail and the reservation.

The same Friday, 25 May 2018, at 4 p.m. when we were already in a bus arriving to NY we got an e-mail from Booking mentioning that our reservation was cancelled due to overbooking of Radio City Apartments. We called the hotel and they told us to avoid going to their hotel (they were already not counting on us since they were already fully booked) and far from apologizing for this situation they just hanged up the phone and put us through Booking.com.

Booking, after looking for more than one hour, did not manage to find an accommodation that was realistic for a family with 3 children. The one that they offered was rated with a 6.5 out of 10. We ended up having to find it ourselves. That was on the same Friday evening when we were in our way to NY. At that time, prices of hotels and apartments that were left were terribly expensive. However, Booking agreed to pay only partially the difference.

After our trip we had to make eleven phone calls to get back our money, we spent at least 5 hours on the phone. Depending on who was answering the phone we were receiving a different answer, and each time we had to wait at least 30 minutes. Booking finally reimbursed the difference between the two apartments, except USD 92. They even bargain in order not to pay the full amount. We were expecting a little bit more from Booking and its customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I was getting calls and messages and invoices from both Booking.com and the vacation homeowner. In the confusion I missed a deadline for a return of a deposit. The homeowner agreed to extend the deadline and all worked out well. I prefer in the future to book directly.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The hotel American Inn in Columbia SC that is on their website is a filthy place with drugs and prostitutes on the property. We contacted Booking.com to refund money so that we could go somewhere else and after being on hold for 10 minutes and then given the runaround they hung up on us! We were 5 ladies in town for a concert and it was the worst experience we have ever had. The Uber driver that brought us back from the concert told us to get in our rooms and keep the doors locked! Needless to say we didn't get much sleep and had to drive home the next morning. We will never use Booking.com again and whatever you do please do not stay at AMERICAN INN in COLUMBIA SC!

Original review: June 17, 2018

I booked a hotel through Booking.com. The booking was confirmed, the price confirmed. A credit card number was given to guarantee the booking. The money was to be collected by the hotel upon arrival. Before my arrival my credit card was billed for both nights at a higher rate plus a 200.00 refundable deposit. When I protested the higher price for the room, I was told there is one rate for paying right away and another rate for paying upon arrival. This information was not given on the Booking.com site. The hotel was kind enough to give me the initial advertised rate and I got my damage deposit back so all is well now. I recommend booking with hotels directly to get the true story on the price and guarantee the room. Also Booking.com gave the hotel 3 stars and decent reviews but it is old and noisy and in a bad part of town. I will next review the hotel.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: June 17, 2018

Booked room thru Booking.com and it said we had a room with 2 beds and 1 pull out sofa. When we got there it only had 2 beds. Plus I put 2 adults and 3 teens. We got to Breckinridge Inn to check in and they only had us for 2 adults 2 kids. The manager said Booking.com does this all the time. They said one thing to sell a room and do another. My advice don't go thru Booking.com.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Booking.com is a scam! We booked an apartment weeks in advance, paid the fee, received a confirmation... only to have our reservation CANCELLED the day before our departure. Booking.com's response was, "It's not our fault!" We desperately asked for help in finding an alternative reservation, only to be offered places of poor quality, in dangerous parts of town, or with not enough beds for our family. We got shuffled between multiple customer service reps - one hung up - only to be left with no help.

Result - our kid's graduation trip CANCELLED! We will not be able to recapture this chance for a great moment. Booking.com CANNOT guarantee you a reservation. They claim that they have NO control over the owners of the property. A confirmation means NOTHING, and you can be left completely screwed! DON'T TRUST BOOKING.COM! Don't risk your trip with these scam artists. My next step? Repeated calls to the senior execs of this POS company to see if anyone has any sense of professional courtesy or customer service.

Original review: June 16, 2018

OMG... After 4 hours of account address errors trying to book a car through Expedia, and still no resolution, I went to Booking.com. They offer no deductible on collisions, great locations through SIXT, I got a Renault Talisman (full size car), for the same money. The best part is that it only took me 10 minutes to book the reservation and get the email confirmation. Stay away from Expedia/Travelocity/Orbitz because they all use the same address confirmation database which was triggering the address errors for me today. Go with Booking.com, Booking.yeah, Booking.letsgetitdonealready!

Original review: June 15, 2018

Please never use this company. I booked a hotel with them. Had to cancel the reservation. They took out 256.64 out of my account the next day. Said it was up to the hotel to give me a refund. The hotel said it was them. Booking.com is a ripoff and I am out this money. They take no responsibility and have poor customer service.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My Boyfriend of 8 years and I reserved a room at La Quinta Inn in Clute Tx for a smoking room and pets. I booked through Booking.com weeks in advance They put us in a non smoking room without telling us and charged us 150.00 for smoking in the room. Either La Quinta or Booking would try to fix this mistake, Ruined Our time here (We came for a Wedding). Dealing with two companies who don’t pay attention to their customers' needs. They purposely put us in the wrong room to charge us more or Booking didn’t do their jobs right and made this happen. I called Booking and honestly they didn’t even care anything about the situation. I suggest not to use Booking.com or La Quinta Inns. They just want your money without having to do their jobs and work for it, Just to be sure - This is the First Review I’ve ever written concerning a business. I won’t use either Business again. AND I’m out 150.0 to pin on the Bride!

Original review: June 15, 2018

Booking.com does not validate guests booking on their website so if accommodation owners have a low review score, they bring in family and friends to get the '10' score to boost their profile. Credibility??? ZERO.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Worst Hotel Site experience of all time. As a seasoned traveller I have used Booking.com and other sites Hundreds of times. Indeed my status with Booking.com is ‘Genius, Frequent traveller’. But I don’t feel like a ‘Genius’ thanks to Booking.com? I booked a hotel for seven nights and made sure it was ‘Payment upon arrival’ For £154 UK Pounds. Shocked the next day my bank showed a Staggering £322 plus was taken by the Hotel that ignored the ‘Payment upon arrival’ and price literally charging me over double!

After expensive phone calls to Booking.com where I had to prove my innocence with bank records etc etc the hotel admitted Fault. I was informed I had given all the documents required to get my money back, but days later new demands came from Booking.com for yet more documents from my bank. On the day of our Wedding I had to call Booking.com to try and resolve this and the American lady said “Go get married. This can’t be resolved today!” Indifferently. Upset, delayed I went with my partner to get married.

After the ceremony we had to go to our bank manager to get the Handwritten, signed document Booking.com now insisted to try and get our money back. In talking to my bank the customer relations man stated he and his girlfriend recently used Booking.com and had a similar experience where the hotel ignored the ‘Payment upon arrival’ and took a staggering £800 from his bank, months earlier to the day of travel that left them financially short. That evening after the Wedding etc I again sent these documents from my Bank manager etc and waited for a reply. Nothing came. I had to phone them again at Booking.com at their Amsterdam offices at great expense and upset the next day.

While Booking.com now say again they have all the document they require I am forced to wait days longer for the hope that I will get my Money back, Only £321 a fraction of the costs and where only £154 was only ever supposed to be taken upon arrival by the hotel. Where is the Customers' protections at Booking.com? My Whole experience with Booking.com has left my Partner and I a ruined Wedding day, out of pocket expenses, expensive Mobile phone calls charges etc, and still waiting for my wrongly taken money. We wrote to the CEO Mr Gillian Tans but as with Booking.com a reply is yet to be afforded us. PLEASE think very carefully when buying your hotel and the site you use. It can literally Ruin your life and leave you broken!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I booked a room through Priceline.com. I cancelled through Priceline.com. The room I cancelled a week ahead of time, charged me. I contacted Priceline who insisted the booking is through this website, which makes no sense. When I cancelled, it said “no more action required.” Apparently there was. Contacted booking.com and did not get any emails or help till two weeks later. I contacted the hotel directly, and they gave me a full refund. These sites take their fee and have zero customer service platform. Will be wary the next time I use a third party service for booking. Priceline and booking.com need to inform their customers which site is being used for booking and itinerary. Beware and if you need a refund contact hotel directly, because Priceline blames booking.com and booking.com takes two weeks for any contact.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Never will I book thru Booking.com again. So much for worry free cancellation. I booked a room and had up to 6 pm the day of to cancel free of charge... I cancelled a full day prior, got the email from Booking.com stating that I was good to go. Cancellation successful and nothing more I needed to do. That was the 6th, my stay would have been the 7th-9th of June. The 10th, I just happened to log into my bank acct an noticed I was charged $101.39 by the hotel I had cancelled from. I called the hotel and it was a "No Show" fee. I called Booking.com (mind you wait time was 20 mins) and the rep put me on hold to call the hotel. Came back to the line to tell me that I have to call the hotels Guest Relations the next day after 9 am. Yet another inconvenience, as I'm on vacation. I call and am told they need proof of the cancellation.

I email them the Booking.com cancellation email and get a response that I will get a check in the mail in 2-3 WEEKS! I understand only a $100, but to be inconvenienced while on vaca and Booking.com never told the hotel I cancelled so I was hit with a 'No Show'. So unprofessional and I don't trust the "You're cancelled, nothing else you need to do!" So if I can't trust that you'll cancel my reservation, how can I trust you with my money? Thumbs down???

Original review: June 11, 2018

AVOID AVOID AVOID!!! We booked a room for three days in a beautiful resort (no problems with resort) only to find out after 10 hours of driving and two very tired children the resort had NO knowledge of our reservations. We had a confirmation # from Booking.com but it did not matter. We had had to find another hotel LATE that night and lost a whole night of our vacation. Don't book through them. They just want to gain the revenue and push your reservation through and never input it into the place you're trying to reserve. TOTAL SCAM!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

We arrived in Budapest after 20 hours of flying and found out that our hotel had canceled the driver who was supposed to pick us up because BOOKING.COM canceled our room. No reason and no communication with us. They had our credit card and had sent us a confirmation. Luckily the hotel was kind and figured out how we could get to them and found us another (and of course more expensive) room. What the...? We will NEVER NEVER NEVER use Booking.com again. Rip off artists, no customer service and their prices aren't even that good. Ridiculous.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Booking.com let us down big time. We had booked what we thought was a great hotel near the beach at Patong in Phuket. "Horizon Beach Resort". The photos of the rooms and pool etc on the Booking.com website were fantastic and ratings 8.2 so we went with that. Paid up front. When we arrived we were offered a dog kennel by hotel staff. The room was old, dingy, had no windows and the bathroom was beyond words. Within seconds the wife turned around with an emphatic "no way". We saw management and was offered another room. It was worse. We sat in the foyer for 40 minutes before deciding to cancel and find another hotel.

We cancelled with the management and moved on. That night got a call from Booking.com asking why we cancelled and in the next half hour I explained that I held "Booking.com" responsible for my losses. I explained very clearly that I had booked because of the pictures displayed on THEIR website. She did tell me that the pictures are supplied by the hotels and not verified. To no avail. No refund (14 days) was ever contemplated by them. They didn't even contact the hotel for us. So, in summary, don't pay up front, don't believe the photos, Google more and maybe check other sites for true customer photos.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Booking.com really dropped the ball on my reservation, and would not take accountability for it. They blamed me, instead, and acted like they were doing me a favor when I respectfully asked them to fix their mistake. I had a reservation which I was supposed to be able to cancel. I made a change to the reservation, from one date to another date, and for one day instead of two. Somehow, Booking.com just cancelled the reservation and did not reflect the change. The hotel had the reservation, and would not make any changes to it because it was made through Booking.com, so when I had to change the date for the second time, the hotel informed me that the change had to be made through Booking.com, but of course when I called Booking.com, they claimed I had no reservations through them.

Clearly, I did, because the hotel would not make the change to the reservation BECAUSE IT WAS MADE THROUGH BOOKING.COM. The woman I spoke with was completely phony, condescending, and horrible at customer service. A tip for this company, sounding falsely calm and blaming your customer for your mistake is not good public relations. I will be posting my opinion of this company on a plethora of social media platforms. I don't make a habit of doing this, but this was a ridiculous encounter. I am certainly not anxious to use Booking.com again. From now on, every time I see their website online, I will quickly look elsewhere for my frequent travel arrangements.

Original review: June 10, 2018 Booking.com advertised a filthy dirty dive as 6.1 their front page was full of positive phrases like amazing, friendly staff great location, they edit and cut reviews to make them look good. They did it with my review also. We paid 95 dollars per night the worst hotel ever. Booking.com believed the hotels comments and not ours.

They have spent weeks making all sorts of excuses, the final straw was that the hotel said we were offered a refund at check-in when we complained and we refused. We would have gladly taken a refund and slept in our car, but we were given an invoice at The Dolphin Harbour Inn Lauderdale by the sea Florida which told us there would be no refunds given after we paid off course and before we saw the horrible place and we did not complain at check-in, all lies.

Booking.com told us, "If you prefer quality hotels don't book anything under a 7 score", pity they don't tell you this when you book, also they score the hotels themselves not the reviewer, so it is in act their decision and of course they want their commission, so do not care if they send their victims to filthy dumps.

We are planning on suing this disgraceful company. Please see some pictures of the filthy hotel we sent to Booking.com.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I booked one room on Booking.com and when I arrived the accommodations weren’t as I booked them. I decided to go further down the road to Cortez Colorado and stayed at a Best Western, Booking.com went ahead and charged me for the stay when it’s clear the issues was with the motel booking. I will have to dispute the charge. Hopefully I can get this taken care of. Booking.com had the Rodeway Inn as a nice hotel but it was really old and not taken care of. Would not recommend anyone staying there.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Be very careful, I recommend you take screenshot of the charges you approved on the credit card payment form. We were charged more than what we approved, for the booking of an hotel in a foreign country. Although we paid in local currency (euros), Booking.com charged us 20% more without previous approval. I don't really like the fact a website I authorized to charge only a given amount can charge a 20% higher amount. As always, I believe there will be no way to cancel the booking without charges.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Recently, we stayed at Marina Towers in Waikiki. The room was horrible. I contacted and spoke with John and Thadeaus. They were fantastic and contacted the hotel with the pictures of the room that I sent to them. Because of their perseverance, we were able to move to better accommodations.

Original review: June 10, 2018

The price of the hotel I choose was announce with $ 50. As soon as I booked it went up to $ 58.-(including some taxes). At the hotel I had to pay taxes again plus breakfast. It came all together to $ 72. The lady at the hotel was very unfriendly when I said her that I had booked a cheaper hotel and said that this happens with Booking.com all the time.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I booked a four star hotel through Booking.com. The hotel was stated as 4 star but didn't reach UK 2 star level. The hotel lobby was nice but that was it! The hotel and room were dark and dingy. My deluxe room was dark and dingy and so small there was only room for one bedside table at the double bed. The bathroom fan didn't work, the shower screen had no seal and flooded the floor. There were three stairs in the room with no handrail so if you turned the wrong way out of the bathroom during the night you may well have ended up in hospital.

The view from the room balcony was of SCUMSVILLE. The breakfast room had no opening windows, was humid and unmanned when we entered, drinking water was a plastic bottle that was empty. When I complained to reception I was told there would be someone there in two days time whom I could direct complaints to as they didn't have the authority. On checking Booking.com conditions I discovered my only right of redress was at the hotel where no one was available for two days! I believe that the Booking.com description was a complete misrepresentation and therefore fraudulent. Steer clear of Booking.com and do not believe their hotel descriptions unless you want a tragic holiday experience!

Original review: June 10, 2018

I booked a room in Milth Re di Roma via Booking.com at least 6 months before my trip, however a week before my departure, I got an email from Booking.com stating Milth cannot accommodate my booking and offered me an alternative for over £50 more. At this last minute especially during peak season, it was panic station trying to find alternatives. Furthermore, Booking.com's email stated that I can only file a claim AFTER my trip in which case, I would have to spend all the extra money first before they will "consider" my claim.

Anyway, when I went onto Google review attempting to leave my review of Milth, I was shocked to see a list of other victims scammed in exactly the same way! Even though I'm annoyed but if my cancellation was due to a genuine reason, that's understandable. But it seems it's all a big scam by Milth, yet Booking.com is still happy to take bookings on behalf of a ongoing scam! Absolute shameful and disgusting of Milth and Booking.com. Avoid both from now on.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Photos that show gardens and lots of room and clean. Truth is room on noisy street, dirty, and rooms placed next to social area so not quiet. Refused our request for a refund. Crappy place. Booking.com does not help. YOU DO NOT HAVE MEANS TO REFUSE THE ROOM WITH BOOKING.COM. Ecozentric in Barcelona advert on Booking.com was misleading in description and photos omitting important facts about the noise issues and that it was a 2 star hostel. After a lot of emails, Booking.com offered me a Euro 25 compensation for a Euro 360 cost . We did not stay so lost our money. Place was filthy and noisy.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Did not help to avoid a fraud transaction. Had contacted many times but did not get any help. The customer service was only repeating what is written in front of him without dealing with my complaint. Not recommended.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Worst place, I fill out a negative review, they Changed it to a good one. I told my husband we're not using this again. We went to Carson City and was booked in a hotel there, burn holes in carpet. Patched up bathroom, holes in bedding and bath cloths, soap missing, paper products poor quality.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Somehow a reservation was booked thru my account for a Howard Johnson's in Suffern, NY. Mind you I DID NOT book this hotel, and there is no record of it on booking.com either. I was charged for a stay that I never booked! I called the hotel and the manager said it was booking.com's fault and that she would NOT refund my money. "Contact Booking.com," she said.

I contacted Booking.com, as I had told them there was no record of this stay on their books as I had checked my account and ALL my emails from them. They indeed could not find the reservation. They contacted the hotel and they were told the same thing I was, it was booked thru booking.com and until they could explain why it was booked and never cancelled no refund of any kind would be issued. Then booking.com comes back with "we have no proof that the reservation was booked thru booking.com." WHAT??? The hotel told you that it was a 3rd party booking thru Booking.com. Then they told me to look at Priceline.com to see if it was booked there, WHAT FOR? I NEVER booked the reservation!

Needless to say they also refused to own up to their mistake and refund me my money. Said they had NO PROOF hotel was booked through them! I don't know about you, but when someone tells me it was booked thru Booking.com that in itself is PROOF!!! I asked to speak with a supervisor or a manager. I still have not spoken to one and it has been 2 days now. They will never own up to their mistake and I am out $96.12, which may not sound like much but it is when you're a single parent and don't makes a lot of money. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY, USE AT OWN RISK!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I booked this beautifully featured Modern Hollywood 2 bedroom apartment for the Memorial Day weekend and after a 8 hour drive reached my destination to find out that my booking was a scam. The booking suggested I should pick the keys a restaurant on Santa Monica Blvd, they had no clue. My drive to the apartment was even more shocking has one of the residents informed me that 7 other families had been there with a reservation from Booking.com. I had a do a last minute reservation for a long holiday weekend, dispute the charges with my bank. LAPD would not take a complaint since it was not their dispute. When I called the owners again the telephone was disconnected, customer service for Booking.com I received a phone call from Amsterdam, all of it was FRAUD! FRAUD! FRAUD! GUYS BE AWARE.

Booking.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs