3.20/5
Based on 2,505 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Booking.com

Looking for a travel site?

3244 Booking.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 31, 2019

I have used the site before and found it very helpful. However, my most recent visit to Tampa, FL left me thinking wondering what process Booking.com took to properly vet the hotels they use. The hotel was HORRIBLE!!!! There was no indication that the rooms were outside access like a motel. The room was dirty and smelled. The first thing I thought of was that it looked like a place where prostitutes and pimps frequented!!! I went back to the office and requested a refund. The lady at the front desk gave me a “we hear that all the time” look and dismissed the charges. However, it took a week before the funds were returned to me. My family was able to find another hotel and we were told that they got lots of complaints about the hotel. I am hesitant to trust Booking.com to find a hotel after that terrible experience.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Long term reservations were made for my husband and son for a job. An emergency arose and they needed to leave. Manager would not undo the prepaid charges without Booking.com calling to change the dates to undo the long term reservation. There is a phone number for the motel, but they never answer the phone. I asked the agent if she would be willing to call my husband and have him give the phone to the manager. She agreed and all was taken care of in one phone call.

I had to wait quite a while on hold, but it was all worth it. The manager told me that if I had booked through him directly, he could have handled this himself, but I told him what happens every time you call... Once "0" is pushed for the operator, the call disconnects. He found out something he didn't know in that phone call as well. It all worked out in the end and I can't thank Booking.com enough for helping me take care of this. I've been using them for about 3-4 years now and never had a bad experience. I will continue to use them in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Me and my wife went on a trip to the Bahamas. After the first night in our "resort" we checked out and switched to another place. Our original resort was booked thru Booking.com. I called them before checking out, made sure that our trip was refundable. The person I spoke to told me the nights we didn't use would be refunded 24-48 hours later. The resort also said they were okay with refunding the website as soon as the refund request would come thru.

A week later, after many failed attempts to get in touch with the hotel, I called Booking.com. The man I spoke to was not very helpful and seemed to have trouble communicating with me. There was a language barrier and also a lack of will to do his job. After a frustrating conversation that was getting nowhere I felt like I was cheated out of my near 800.00 I was expecting back.

At this point I was very upset and would have left a 1 star review and still feel like to that point I was poorly treated. BUT, then I called to make one final attempt to get my money back. A lady by the name of Susie picked up. I explained my situation and told her about my whole experience. She informed me with a lot of new correct information and the refund process. The email return request would be sent to the resort 24-48 hours after I called not refunded, then the resort can take up to 5-7 days to respond. Then it would take an additional 10-15 business days for the refund to be sent. None of this is anything I wanted to hear but was still happy to be properly informed finally.

Since the resort wasn't returning any of my phone calls and the 7 days had passed since the email was sent out I explained my concern and asked if anything else could be done. Not only did she call the resort and established communication with the accounting department for me she spoke to the manager there the following day and got them to accept the refund moments later saving me 5-7 days of waiting time. She followed up. I still have to wait for my refund for 10-15 business days but honestly that is a lot better than never seeing my money back. But for someone to follow up with me like they said they would, at the exact time, and date and go out of their way to resolve an issue, and provide correct information the first time around take someone else's mistakes and correct them is why I left this review. Susie I appreciate the work you did for me. This is what true customer service is.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I had an absolutely terrible experience with Days Inn Lundys Lane Niagara last week. I had booked a spa bath five days in advance. I had phoned at 3:30 to confirm my booking and told everything was fine. I arrived at 7:30 and the room was given away. We were downgraded to a room I would have never chosen at that cost. It was a long weekend so we were virtually hostage to the situation. It would have been very difficult this late in the game to find a room. When we left the hotel had grossly overcharged our credit card. The room at been booked at $144 but they had charged our credit card $344 plus $150 security plus parking which they had promised to waive tying up over $500 on our credit card. When I contacted the general manager she was rude and unhelpful.

It wasn't until Booking.com got involved that I received any compensation for this terrible experience. I've had this happen before. I have a feeling that motels are blaming the booking agents when they sell rooms that are reserved at a higher price. I've had my spa bath given away on four different occasions with the motel blaming the agency. I know the motel had the reservation and the room was prepaid. There was no acceptable explanation for them to sell our room and leave us with a subpar arrangement. I so appreciate Booking.com for making the motel accountable for what they had done.

Original review: July 23, 2018

My daughter and a friend flew from California to New York City. They arrived late at the Hotel Pennsylvania and waited approx. 2+ hours in line for a room. They and everyone else in line were told that there were no more rooms. My daughter then went up to the desk and showed her paid in full reservation. She was given a key and after getting upstairs to the room they discovered that it was occupied. At 4 in the morning in a city that neither of them knew it was a very "unhappy" situation. They then had to go out and find a hotel for themselves.

It seems that unless you say that you are a late arrival (which I did when making the reservation, as this was mom's treat) it is almost next to impossible to get a room before 3pm. After many email exchanges and talking on the phone to numerous people at Booking.com, they not only were able to get the hotel to refund our money BUT they helped to pay the difference in the new hotel. It took a month because the Hotel Pennsylvania kept trying to recharge the charges (between two different credit cards) and Booking.com kept in touch with me to make sure that everything was to our satisfaction. How often does that happen these days? Everyone was pleasant, helpful and assured me that they were on top of things. I would recommend to anyone Booking.com! And when we book a hotel again we will use them again. Thank you to all that helped us with this mess.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: June 16, 2019

Had terrible experience with Booking.com. Their website is poorly built and does not communicate properly with the hotel. I booked for 5 people and was given room of 4 people. On calling, they told me that I should have been careful while booking. My point is, when I'm putting 5 people in search, why the website is offering me room of 4 people. That gave me impression that there is a sofa-cum-bed in the room. But again they don't have any details about that. The customer service was poor. The agents were disrespectful and intermittently shouting at me and in the end, the supervisor disconnected the phone. Shame on Booking.com.... Will never book again with them in my life.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I booked a room and got a confirmation for the amount I would pay, including taxes. When I got to the hotel, they charged me more than the confirmed amount, saying it was a booking fee and that I had to call Booking.com. I called and was hung up on at least 5 times before I spoke to someone named Peter ** who told me the only way to get a credit is to find a Walgreens or CVS, BUY a $100 voucher and then call them back to be credited on the voucher. I'm supposed to trust that they won't just hang up on me again? This is completely dishonest and a scam. I will never use their service again and will tell everyone I know not to use them.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I booked a hotel through Booking.com for a group of us, which had free cancellation. We managed to find a cheaper deal and used the app to cancel all the rooms with more than enough time at hand. After the date of the stay I found that the hotel had charged me for the rooms I had cancelled. I contacted booking.com about this and their response was very rude. They refused to acknowledge that their operations had any technical issues, even though if you do a quick search through their reviews you will find many people have had the same issue. I am now out of pocket for the cancelled rooms and booking.com refuse to pay me back. Very disappointed with them.

Original review: June 15, 2019

It is very difficult to get back money if you cancelled the booking. My booking was free and I just had to show my account but the property (New Sport Hostel in Porto ref (**)) deduct the money from my account. Then I canceled the booking due to this deduction. And it has been one month. Property and Booking.com both accepting they have to pay back. But they are not sending the money back to my account. And now both of them are not even replying. It is very annoying for me. So always take care of thing like payment. The people are very quick in deduction but very slow in sending back money.

Original review: June 15, 2019

My husband and I went on a holiday booked through Booking.com to Porto Santo Island, Madeira in April 2019. We booked to stay in a holiday let for 3 nights, and decided to spend 2 more nights in a hotel not far away from the holiday let in Vila Baleira. During the evening, whilst watching the TV, I saw some cockroaches crawl from underneath the chairs in the living room. I was so alarmed that I screamed! My husband killed them straight away. Unfortunately this continued throughout the rest of the evening and we saw many more cockroaches appear in the house.

I can only say it was the most disgusting experience I have ever had and we were forced to leave the property early and move into the hotel sooner, I have tried to contact Booking.com regarding this but they have not replied! I had to report this to the Porto Santo local council as it is a serious health hazard and they will investigate it further. Although I complained bitterly to the owner of this property he totally ignored me and still advertising this property for let on Booking.com.

Original review: June 14, 2019

BEWARE! They will advertise a hotel price and then neither the hotel or Bookings.com will honor the rate that they posted. I booked a room for my daughters graduation and it was a good rate. Two hours later the hotel emailed a reservation confirmation with a rate over double what I booked at. When I called the hotel they said the system had an issue but it has corrected itself so I have to pay the higher rate. I have an email that does not have any verbiage that if there is a computer issue the hotel does not have to honor the rate. So neither the third party site or hotel felt they had a responsibility to honor the rate that was posted online for the hotel. AGAIN BEWARE and go through Expedia or another third party site. Do not trust this company's advertised rates and do not trust Fairfield Inn.

Original review: June 14, 2019

When I began travelling Booking.com was a useful service for me. I used it almost always, but now it has deteriorated so much, that there is no point in using it.

1) The price is often cheaper on other websites.

2) The provided information on hotels/b&bs is wrong.

3) They started working with b&bs and just people renting rooms in their house and these are fatal ones: not following their own check-in hours schedule, withdrawing money from the bank account earlier to replying to special requests, not giving refunds, not marking the property, so one can never find them (and no refund is given, naturally).

4) Booking.com doesn't function as a mediator between you and the hotel booked anymore. Their help service will tell you to handle the issues on your own.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I booked a reservation thru booking.com for Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Louisville North with a cancellation policy that I can cancel by 4/30 with no charge and I got an email stating these terms. I cancelled on 4/1 and the hotel went ahead and charge me the full charge over $2200 on 4/17. The hotel made up a phony cancellation policy with a cancel date of 3/31 with no charge after I got this email below: "Cancellation cost Until April 30, 2019 11:59 PM [EDT]: $0. From May 1, 2019 12:00 AM [EDT]: $499". Now Booking.com is giving me a hard time when I called them. I am speaking to people from Netherlands that can't speak English.

Never use Booking.com again. They are a SCAM.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Booking.com has very poor customer service and does not focus on customer satisfaction, just on their bottom line. Call with a problem and they are VERY rude and create more issues. Even the hotels you book with speak poorly about Booking.com and offer no customer assistance when using them. Avoid, Avoid, Avoid.

Original review: June 11, 2019

So after my last post i was finally capable of speaking to a customer service rep. And they are horrible. I requested several times to speak with a manager and was told that it wouldn't happen. Okay cool. The CSR actually hung up on me the first time (a wasn't rude at all). After another 20 min. wait i got her back on the line.

Now on all their forms and all communications it states that you have 24hrs from booking to make any changes needed. I can prove that i attempted to do that 3 times in the first 24hrs with no luck. Now i'm out 400 dollars. AND THE SOLUTION!!! "WERE SORRY BUT WE HAD A LOT OF CALLS". I'm sorry but don't offer the ability to change or cancel if you're not gonna answer the phone and honor it. I'm out 400 bucks because they don't have the staff to answer the phone. Awesome way to plan a 10yr wedding anniversary. So they win. I'm out some money. But i will be sure to tell at least 400 people my story.

Original review: June 11, 2019

On mobile Booking.com app I was making several reservations for trip to Corsica. Got the oops something wrong try again. I did, but filter for free cancellation apparently didn’t take on the retry. So stuck with a non-refundable reservation at Sofitel d’Ajaccio for 95 days out. Neither the property or Booking.com will do anything to help after a week of emails & phone calls. Have been an enthusiastic customer for many years & know how to use the website. This snafu hurts since I never reserve anything but free cancellation after years of plans changing. Thanks Booking.com.

Original review: June 11, 2019

For a conference in New Zealand, I logged into Booking.com (which I have been using for few years) to book a room. When I selected my accommodation, it took me to Booking Basic which I did not realize. Later, the day before my travel when I checked the account (Booking.com), I could not find my booking. Getting confused, I booked another accommodation. Just the night before my leaving, I got an email from Booking Basic saying I have an accommodation. In email, it is written "The property does not know about your travel so please contact us". The contact number given belongs to Booking.com. When I called them, the lady listened to me and said she would call me back. She did not call me back for 2 days. Later, when I called them again and asked me to cancel the booking they say that it is Booking Basic and they cannot cancel it. They is mere case of cheating. So be careful with this. I lost 600 dollars due to this.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I've been a client of Booking.com for multiple years and usually have booked hotels that could be cancelled until a certain date. Which is probably why I've never had any issues. Recently though I booked a hotel using Booking Basic which is the cheapest option but they'll charge you straight away. I have no problem with that. However the site had a problem and hence instead of sending me to the confirmation landing page it went something like "oops, something went wrong" and told me to try again. Which I did about 4 times until it worked. Thinking the deal was done I waited to receive the confirmation mail, which came 10 mins later and I thought "great it's all confirmed". This was however followed by another confirmation mail with a different number, for the exact same room and dates.

Since it was late at night I thought I'll get in touch the next day with the customer care to make sure I get that second one cancelled and refunded (as it had already been charged to my credit card). Customer Service only told me that it was a deliberate act on my part, that they couldn't cancel nor refund me and that I should be in touch with the hotel to get this done. I then took up contact with the hotel who said they received the booking through a traveling agency whom I got in touch with as well and all of which told me that since Booking.com charged me they should resolve the problem.

After many tries to get the issue resolved and asking to speak to a manager I received no reply... Hence I'll get my credit card to block the payment for fraudulent behaviour by the company double charging me and if I could I'd leave 0 stars on this review, but 1 is the minimum. I'll never use Booking.com again as I've also come to notice that a lot of hotels provide cheaper prices if you book with them directly as they're getting screwed over by Booking.com on the margins they have to pay. So long crappy company!

Original review: June 9, 2019

I booked an apartment through Booking.com and although it was no fault of theirs, the apartment cancelled my booking 3 days before I was due to arrive. The customer service team were quick to find me alternative accommodation (I even rejected their first alternative due to location, but they found me another without any fuss). I was then refunded the difference in price between the new and old accommodation quickly, without any fuss. Then, when the original apartment stopped responding to my requests to refund the cost that I was due, Booking.com refunded me straight away. Fantastic customer service and would definitely use again!

Original review: June 9, 2019

Dreadful is an understatement when it came to how awful the services of Booking.com were. My friends and I planned a trip and took the stupid decision using Booking.com’s portal to book the place on GuestHouser to stay for the weekend. Here's what happened: We booked a penthouse for Rs. 28,000 for the weekend (Fri 7th June to Sun 9th June 2019) and the payment had to be done in all advance. We did as directed after looking at the photos and the facilities available there. BUT, when we reached the destination (at around 3 pm on Friday) we were super shocked to see the that the place was nothing (almost literally) like it was in the photos. They were giving us separate rooms like hotel rooms, there was a “superdried” empty pool, no kitchen, and the rooms were in very bad condition.

On complaining it on “customer care” they didn't respond (obviously). We contacted GuestHouser, on telling that it is unstayable they asked us to click photos of the place and send them. We did that and the pool was empty, kitchen was locked, and the reply we got was “It's the same.” They cannot refund. We asked them to at least give an alternative. And what we got by GuestHouser was a 3bhk apartment. Seeing this, raged and exhausted at around 6:00 pm we decided to go to the Booking.com’s office. As usual, good for nothing. We were able to talk to the customer care executive and explained every detail to him, but, in almost 20 mins of the call, the support he gave was that he contacted the property owner but they didn't pick up the call. That was not any kind of solution at that point. We just visited the property, sent the pictures.

On asking to escalate the matter, he said cannot do anything without having a word with the property guys. We said he has to find an alternative and provide any kind of solution. In the end, at 7pm we had to compromise for the 3bhk plus 1 separate room on different floor. The amount may not even match up to the Rs. 28,000 that we paid. Booking.com and GuestHouser both are at fault here but GuestHouser at least gave an alternative to the grievance (but that doesn't make their services any less miserable). So no refund, God knows how much extra we paid. But Booking.com, I really hope this reaches out to the people and people don't get their money, time, energy wasted on your poor services. Boo-king.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I will never book with Booking.com again! I attempted to change rooms and date before I booked it and by MISTAKE IT WENT THROUGH. WITHIN THAT MINUTE I CANCELLED AND EMAILED BOOKING AND THEN STILL TOOK OVER 1000 DOLLARS after I explained! They sent a false email stating it was Wyndham that took it but upon speaking with the manager Valerie she stated that wasn't true and in fact it was BOOKING.COM! THE REP MIGUEL AT BOOKING CONSTANTLY STATED NO WORRIES AS IF IT WAS A JOKE!

He then stated he spoke with the front desk lady Rene and she said they refunded my your money! I asked, "Why would you not speak with Valarie the manager?" He then stated, "No worries" as if it's funny! I've never had this happen to me again! I see why people are going to Airbnb due to this! I will be looking into what else and who else I can contact in this matter! TAKING PEOPLE MONEY AND I'M SURE THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING! I BET YOU WILL REGRET GETTING OVER AND THE RUDE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I spend several days working on posting my property but it is still closed/not bookable. The help center is completely useless. They give very generic responses. Just finishing all the 100 mandatory sections of a property takes ages.

Resolution response: June 9, 2019

In my earlier post, I had complained about the dismal behavior of Booking.com to my experience about the advertised and transacted price. After I disconnected the call from Booking.com, I received an email offering me to reimburse the difference amount, which I accepted. And in another one hour's time, I received another call emanating from Spain informing me that the money will be paid back and also asking me to contact me on their Spanish toll free number. At least one must take heart from the fact, that a very serious reciprocal action -such as not using the services of the provider- elicited an immediate action on their part. Wish they would have done this in the first instance itself. Would have saved money, efforts and time on both sides. But nevertheless, there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Original review: June 8, 2019

For the second time I observed that the advertised price was lower than the transaction price. I wrote to Booking.com and for at least a week I waited for their response. I sent a reminder and I got a call back from them. They had seen the snapshots I had attached in my mail and their reply was that the hotel had missed out on some charges and therefore the difference. Strangely, in the advertised price, the price included the base price plus taxes and other charges. The next lame reason given by the caller was that there was no way they could prove that the two snapshots which I had provided to them were taken before and after the transaction.

Can you imagine, the caller is now telling me that my images may have been manipulated and therefore I may be lying!!!! So instead of apologizing that there could have been an error and extending me an incentive in view of being a very regular user, they are challenging the veracity of my proof and pointing the finger at the hotel. Clearly goes to show that Booking.com is now indulging in practices which are misleading, deceitful and unethical. I have decided to stop using their services and switch to other service provides like Trivago, etc.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I made a reservation to a hotel and l didn't know that when you make a reservation through Booking.com they charged your card right away. When l found that out, l called to cancel and l couldn't do it because l was going to lose 90% of the charged fee. It is in the small print. Another thing, when l called to cancel, l didn't have the reservation number and pin number and they didn't care to find it using other way to help me. I had to hand up to look for them and call again, grrr.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Scammers at their best! Better watch out as nothing they sell online will look the same when you reach the location. These are the middle men for the middle men. When I booked online I saw a hotel which was beautiful and no construction was going on. And when I reach the location, I find out that the stairs had no railings, the hotel was still under construction. Then it was obvious for trip India people that I did not look closely and did not do the research on the hotel. They have great assets in this company who do their level best to deceive people.

I tried to do my best to get my money back by reverting it on my card but they had the arrogance to fight it and get my money without even giving me the services. Then a representative from Booking.com approached me to offer me compensation worth $25 which was about 10% of the money I lost booking with this service. The customer service representative was amazingly ignorant and only cared about the vendor for this service. The representative had no understanding of what I was saying or complaining about but had chosen sides before they were presented. I will advice anyone against booking using this service and this platform should now be regulated and managed by another agency.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I did a search to where my wife and I were traveling. Antelope Canyon in Arizona, I didn't know the area and it is our first time there. Booking.com gave us a list of hotels in the area and it told us that the Holiday Inn was 27.7 miles away so I booked that hotel. So when we were getting ready to leave the next morning I Google mapped it. It said it was over 789 miles away. So I am wondering how can Booking.com mislead someone like that and then charge them and not return the money? I will never use this website again. I am out $336. When I went to cancel I was charged full price and then got an email stating that there was no return of funds. Went to my bank and disputed the charge and I couldn't even get my money back.

Original review: June 5, 2019

My girlfriend booked accommodation in the Philippines (Cosy and Comfy), it was all confirmed with confirmation number and pin. Ode, 3 days before we were to arrive, we’re told it’s cancel and we'll be refunded. So I check online and the motel is available, so I book it and pay through Booking.com. I get confirmation and pin code, then 10 minutes later it’s cancelled by Cosy and Comfy. So I had to book another accommodation. Which was with The Hop Inn. Not only did this cause a lot of stress on our holiday, It’s been 2 weeks and we’re both trying to get our monies reimbursed, I have sent approximately 8 emails. They just seem to give you the runaround. You get new emails asking for the information you have already sent. Goodluck in using this service!

Original review: June 4, 2019

We booked a motel in Nevada City, CA and the room was a dump!!! When we got home we wrote a review and sent pictures along and Booking.com won't post it. They say we have to edit it but won't give a link to do that! Don't deal with this company...Shady at best. It's like they have an interest in the motels they book for. There's no way this motel could have a rating as high as they do with what we and others have experienced!

Original review: June 4, 2019

My friends and I booked a vacation at the Econo Lodge Oceanfront in Ocean City Maryland months in advance through Booking.com over Memorial weekend. We received a confirmation email and number ensuring everything was set. After the 8 of us drove to Ocean City for 6 hours, we arrived to find out our reservation did not exist with the hotel at all. We called Booking.com and they informed us that the reservation had not gone through on their end, YET THEY HAD FAILED TO INFORM US ANYTHING WAS WRONG!!!

We spent 3 hours on the phone with 5 representatives before the situation was “fixed,” where other accommodations were made for us and Booking.com assured us we would be fully refunded. We were put in a disgusting motel with dirty sheets and none of the perks we received at our previous reservation. The new reservation somehow cost us $1,000 more. We have sent Booking.com all of our receipts and called multiple times, but they are ignoring all of our emails and dropping our calls to customer service. There has been no communication from them and we believe legal action is now necessary. DO NOT USE BOOKING.COM EVER. THEY ARE UNRELIABLE SCAMMERS!!!

Original review: June 4, 2019

I made a reservation for a particular property. I paid $205 dollars and got a confirmation that the booking was complete and confirmed. After they took the $205 out of my account, about an hour later I get an email that there was an error and the property was not available on the dates I selected. They offered me two alternate dates, neither of which would work for my husband and I. They then offered me a different property altogether and said after I booked this one, they would refund the original $205. I did book the other property (and paid ANOTHER deposit). I refund, did not show up in my account after two days, and finally I get an email stating that the refund would not take at least 7-12 days. I am very unhappy that the refund would take this long. It sure didn't take them that long to take it out of my account.

Booking.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs