1.09/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

2154 Booking.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

This fake owners or managers have photos posted of real tourist building and address in Pattaya Thailand with super lower prices and no need to have a credit card to book the room. The problem is when you arrive to the front desk of the hotel or apartment they do not have your booking reservation info in their computer system. The front desk people tell you to call the number post in the booking reservation. This is totally illegal in any in other countries... is illegal to use photos of real hotel that are not under your name or under your management to rent rooms in that building. I do not understand how the real management of this places let this fake owner do business using their building name, photos, address, and more... did Booking.com understand that this type of commercial practices are not normal in any other country???

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have used Booking.com 3 times and I'm not going to use it anymore. In the end you will always more than they will tell you. Once we booked staying in Hilton and then we had to pay $100 more dollars than we have been told from Booking.com and when we asked the hotel crew why... They said that it is not their problem and this is the real price. And second time it was even more spooky because we stayed in motel where price for each night should be $69 then when I got the real receipt from motel for each night I noticed one night is charged $115 instead $69 so I asked them why one night is much more expensive and they said that they don't know and it's because I booked it through Booking.com and they can't do anything about it so I had to pay it.

Also I noticed if I would book staying in that motel through the motel site I would pay only $60 for each night... So in the end Booking.com is adding so many hidden fees you can't see and charge you much more and hoping that the customer won't notice. It is terrible site and it's much better to book staying through the actual place you want to stay in...

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We accept bookings through OTA's and Booking.com is one of them. They make 8 billion in revenue per year on the backs of hotel owners. They do not have a system in place that ensures a customer is a real customer. A booking can be made with a non-existent address, invalid credit card number, and out of service phone number. There are systems in place to validate credit card numbers and they can put this type of program into their systems. It is a known issue. It is approximately 2% of their gross sales so a mere $16,000,000 in lost sales to them but what is this to the small business owner. It's not an option to not work with these companies.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I booked a hotel stay for me and my husbands 10 year wedding anniversary getaway that we had planned since September, bought some concert tickets 6 months in advance, went to check in the hotel for the evening and the reservation was never in the system! Our evening was totally ruined! I will not ever use Booking.com again, and what is so sad the lady said this happens all the time! You should be ashamed of yourself for allowing people who rarely get to have getaways look forward to something that your company doesn't even reserve!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I exclusively used Booking.com for several years. Recently, they have published telephone numbers that do not connect at all, emails do not get responded to and advertised prices and terms dynamically change based on a different time zone thus deliberately making the unsuspecting customer to miss the deadline for cancellation minutes after one books! Very corrupt, scheming, insensitive and unresponsive company. I will never deal with Em ever again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I had a conference to attend in Deltona Florida. Booking.com claimed my reservation was noncommittal. I gave them a day's notice when I canceled, and there were still 5 open rooms. They charged me $49 to cancel. I gave them a valid excuse and if they refund my money which should have been refunded in the first place, I will take this review down. If not, this is how they operate. Regardless, the Non-committal reservation is a fallacy.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I swear I never use a booking service when I make hotel reservations - I always make them directly with the specific hotel. However, I went online to book a specific hotel in the UK and for some reason (not my choice) my request was directed to this Booking.com which I was under the impression this specific hotel because it was in the UK and I was in the US. Used them. Two days after making the reservation, I realized this hotel was 25 miles from where I needed to be so I canceled the reservation. Unbeknownst to me Booking.com has a cancellation policy of charging you for the full stay ($900+ US) which had already been charged to my AMEX credit card the day I make the reservations??? Who does that??

Now I am fighting with them to see if I can either reinstate my original reservation and bite the bullet and have to travel by train or bus to Liverpool (25 miles) or I have asked if they could transfer my reservation to a Best Western in Liverpool which the AMEX representative said they should have no problem doing that. We will see. I cannot believe the hotel in question would use such a booking agent and why would the hotel care if the reservation was canceled two days after being made and for next May 7th?? REALLY. I am on a fixed income and can ill afford to pay for a non-stay hotel and then have to pay for another one for the whole stay in Liverpool. Anyone else out there have this problem with them???

Updated on November 18, 2017: Booking.com says the Best Western Hotel itself is refusing to refund my money, transfer me to a sister Best Western in Liverpool. I either reinstate my reservation with Best Western Royal Clifton or lose my entire $900+ charged to my credit card. This is unacceptable to me so I have asked AMEX to investigate. I contacted the Royal Clifton directly (this time) online. They advise they have a standard room available for the times I had originally picked at a price just $32 less overall than the Booking.com price and - HERE IS THE KICKER - I have up to 4:00 p.m. (their time) to cancel the reservation. Then, why on earth does Booking.com advise they want to keep my $900+ US? I am hoping AMEX can help me on this.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I didn't know it was a no cancellation hotel when I reserved and paid for (Rodeway Inn on 3296 South Muskogee Avenue in Tahlequah, Oklahoma). We were recently in a car accident and we are still inundated with Harvey issues and asked the hotel if due to the circumstances if I could cancel. They wouldn't let me. I called Booking and they asked but no one would help whatsoever. I asked Booking why they even have No Cancellation Hotels and they said because you save 10%. I was like wow... I just got messed over a $109 to save 10%.

I highly doubt that no one could help. It's just that no one would because I'm assuming this is how profit is made. I will NEVER book at BOOKING.COM or RODEWAY INN either. It frustrates me because Rodeway Inn made a $109 profit and will make another $109 when they book the same room that I couldn't make it too. If you book through BOOKING.COM PLEASE MAKE SURE TO NEVER GET NO CANCELLATION. I didn't know that I did but before you pay... MAKE SURE. As for Rodeway Inn in Tahlequah... because of their calloused heart and compassion... I will never stay at ANY RODEWAY INN.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I made a reservation at the Warfield Hotel in San Francisco. This was work related travel, so I did not need anything fancy. Even by low standards, I could not stay in the hotel for more than one night. I travel a lot, and this was an unusually bad experience that Booking.com failed to address. Hotels like these should not be promoted by travel websites such as Booking.com. Here are the highlights of my experience at the Warfield Hotel, courtesy of Booking.com. I got to the hotel on Sunday night, and the surroundings were scary: lots of homeless people, and many were scattered on the sidewalks. The hotel door was locked. This raises serious security concerns, because, as a guest, you don’t have easy access to shelter if you are being harassed while walking to the hotel.

I got a room on the 3rd floor and the elevator was not working. I had to haul my luggage 4 flights of narrow stairs. This is a very serious consideration for people with handicaps (and may even be a violation of SF Law). The room had a closet room without any place to hang clothing. The bathroom toilet was dirty. The seat had brown spots and yellow drippings on one side. This, of course, raises health concerns. I called the night attendant, PJ, he came up. He said there was nothing he could do. I asked him for some disinfectant, and he said he did not have any. I asked for another room and he said he did not have one available, and that I had to talk to the manager on Monday. He added that if I did not like it I should get another hotel.

After JP left, I called the front desk, and asked again to get another room. The lady at the front desk said she would clean the bathroom. About 15 mins later JP showed up with a bucket and locked himself in the bathroom. Afterwards he came out, he said “it’s clean.” I went to sleep and was awoken at 3:30 by a truck collecting trash on Taylor Street. After that I could not go to sleep, because of the heavy traffic on Taylor Street.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I arranged for accommodations in Mexico for three nights, expecting that the glowing review and description of the property was accurate. It was not. I contacted Booking.com and provided photos of the property and a description of our problems. I then wrote a review which was an honest appraisal of the property, which they did not publish. They purposefully misrepresent properties and make no effort to publish more honest reviews.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I booked a room at the Falmouth Inn, Falmouth, MA this morning at around 9:00 a.m. for my grandson for one night. Upon his arrival he was told by the woman at the front desk that he wasn't allowed; the manager had some problem. He called me to find out what was wrong. I spoke to a Roshan (I know I've spelled his name wrong) who went round and round to figure out a way to tell me why my grandson was not permitted in the hotel, he's homeless. When I said this was discrimination he tried to deny the fact and said that upper management had reviewed the names of guests and decided my grandson was not permitted, again, he denied discrimination. He also said my grandson did not meet the criteria for guests at their hotel but wouldn't let me speak to anyone else.

I don't understand. If a room is paid for hours in advance, why is it that I was not told about this situation nor given a good reason for not letting my grandson enter as a PAID guest. Well, that does it. I've just phoned every hotel I can find in Falmouth and everyone is the same... if you're homeless you can stay at their hotels. WAY TO GO FALMOUTH! DON'T THINK I'LL BE RECOMMENDING FALMOUTH AS A VACATION SPOT - HOW DO YOU TREAT YOUR VETERANS???

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

First couple times booking from here were awesome and went off without a hitch. Last 2 times, I guess I ran across some shady motels. First one wouldn’t call us back or even answer their phones. Wrote to Booking.com to try and help with the situation and didn’t even receive a response from them. Now I tried to book again. I’m trying to get in touch with the hotel (different from the first) and again, no response. I looked online to see if there is a different number I could try, and ran across some reviews saying the hotel was closed, but some are saying it isn’t. I feel like Booking.com should really keep up to date with these scamming motel/hotels. And hold them responsible for their lack of customer support. As they are losing business because of this. I will not be using this site again.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

We booked a hotel in Maine, USA a month in advance and received a cancellation email telling us to book another hotel which is almost twice as expensive. It turned out all hotels were booked up during that weekend. What could tourists from another country do in such a situation. When we called to complain about the incident, we found that the response was very irresponsible. We were told that the supervisor has reviewed our case and the decision is final and there is no way you could petition the higher management. We will never use such untrustworthy and irresponsible services again.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I booked with them to stay at Emerald Shores Motel in Daytona, we had to check out a day early because of a death and we couldn't get a refund so I'm very dissatisfied with both Booking.com and Emerald Shores motel. I won't book with them again and won't never stay at the motel either.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

When traveling, I don't usually make the reservations my DH does it. This week, I was looking for accommodation in Fez, Morocco and made the mistake of using Booking.com. They are totally misleading and made it look like you can cancel and/or change your reservation. In fact I had to make a change to the reservation and I get an email saying it is not possible to cancel or change my reservation without incurring an exorbitant fee – like $500.00! I emailed the hotel directly and they kindly took care of the problem. In this day and age, there's no reason to be getting scammed and ripped off like this – just email the hotel directly. I wish I had known to do that – would have saved probably 30% and a lot of potential aggravation.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I am extremely upset with Booking.com and will never use their site again. I feel the advertisement of the room I paid for was inaccurate. The pictures provided were extremely nice rooms, and it was labeled to have a whirlpool tub. It gave me the impression of a nice in-room whirlpool tub which I wanted for a romantic getaway with my husband for my 30th birthday. We get here and the room we were assigned is ugly, nothing like the pictures provided from Booking.com, and it's a joke what you consider a whirlpool tub. It's so tiny my 5 foot self can't comfortably sit in there. My expectations for my 30th birthday were crushed. To make it worse, there is no way to cancel, and I'm having to pay 185.00 for 1 night in this less than satisfactory place that is not what I expected at all. I decided I did not want to stay here after viewing the room, but because I used booking.com I have to because there it is nonrefundable.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

We booked a weekend hotel 6 months in advance. Booking.com called us 10 minutes prior to check-in to tell us they canceled our reservation! And unfortunately the hotel booked our room to someone else. I will NEVER use them ever again! Awful customer service from some guy in Germany. Didn't show remorse or offer to help out in any way. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Booked a room for my husband who is working out of town, he gets to the hotel to be told there is no reservation for him, he's just out of luck and stranded in a new town after being dropped off here. I call Booking.com, they call the hotel, oh well. I will absolutely NEVER use this garbage site again!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

We recently booked an expensive hotel that claimed luxury and we ended up checked into a lousy old and rundown hotel. Booking.com has charged in advance with no cancellations policy. For 6 nights we were very unsatisfied and we have complaint and raised the issue to the hotel property. We then wanted to share the bad experience in Booking.com hotel reviews but they restricted to publish our reviews, they removed our reviews, the only reason given was inappropriate contain. We did not even use any harsh sentence, word by word written in a good manner for negative reviews of the property.

It was not the first time we reviews a hotel we stayed. At the end Booking.com removed all photos we upload, then published an empty reviews and it says 'fabulous.' Automatically gave a 4.6 out of 10 scale but we wanted to gave only 1 or none out of 10. Booking.com is being ridiculous and not true! We found we got burned! With our hard earn money with their false advertised hotel property because they only shown the fake positive reviews!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

When asking for their help to get in touch with the accommodation I stayed at, they didn't even react. I wanted the accommodation to refund me part of the room price as there were very severe construction works going on and it was impossible to find rest. I have been Booking.com customer for many years but will now refrain from using them any longer as the quality of service has deteriorated recently. They also don't bother to publish client reviews.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have made hotel reservations through Booking.com on many occasions. On a few occasions, I have had to contact customer service to deal with needs to cancel reservations - things like that. I have always been pleased with customer service, but nothing I really bragged about. I had an experience with customer service last night that I justifies written praise.

We booked reservations in three separate European cities through Booking.com. Through no fault of Booking.com, the hotel we booked with first decided it needed to renovate, so our reservation was moved to a related hotel (Spice Hotel). We checked out the Spice Hotel online and decided it was fine, so we allowed our reservation to be transferred. Six months later, Spice Hotel informs us they are overbooked, and they have moved our reservation to Hotel #3, which was decidedly not all right after we checked customer reviews. We got nowhere with Spice Hotel on our own, so we called Booking.com customer service for assistance.

After three days of trying to convince the Spice Hotel that our 6 month old reservation should be honored ahead of newer ones, Booking.com gave up on them and asked what they could do for us to make us happy. We told them a Milan we'd happily stayed in before, and asked if they could get us the Spice Hotel rate at the Andreola Central. Although they were not able to get us that rate, Booking.com told us about their price-matching policy, and have agreed to pay us the difference between what we were gonna pay to stay at the Spice Hotel and the price we will pay to stay in the Andreola. Thank you, Booking.com and thank you to your wonderful service rep who really worked hard to make us happy.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Booked Florida hotel room for romantic getaway for wifey and me that, before entering my CC, read "Ocean View"; there were no options shown for "Oceanfront". After CC entry, received email confirmation which read "Partial Ocean View". Cancelled booking only after much frustration, hassle, and calling the actual hotel a couple times. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I booked a 2 night break with Ola Azul Marabu in Benidorm for late January 2018. The headline price given was 50 euros so I went ahead and booked with my debit card details which are stored with Booking.com as I regularly use them. However when I checked my bank account a few days later I found that a further 42 euros had been added to the headline price given to me by Booking.com. When I checked the Booking.com website I noticed in small print at the end of the booking that the hotel adds 30 euros for cleaning the room and 6 euros per day for electricity.

Had I been aware of this extra cost I would not have made this booking as there are cheaper alternatives in Benidorm who do not use this extra hidden cost. I believe this is a very poor practice and that this cost should be shown in the headline rate. I write to inform prospective customers to be mindful of this poor practice. And to say that I will never use Booking.com again as there is no way I can rectify this matter through a lack of complaints procedure being made available by the company.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I recently booked with Booking.com for a Christmas Holiday & the offer included the phrase "Dinner is included". Upon calling them and asking about the details of the dinner, they said it was a mistake from their end. They removed the phrase from the website & said that this phrase doesn't mean that dinner is included!! It only means that we get four $20 vouchers, in 4 different restaurants, each restaurant is $20. This means that instead of providing a dinner for 2 adults for 2 nights, we get a voucher for $20 total for 2 adults for only 1 night! They said that this is an error & that is what's included! Take it or leave it & lose all your booking money as this is a non-refundable deal!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Despite having confirmation of my cancellation they still took the full amount of the booking from my account. Some 3 months later I am still sending emails to resolve the situation. All I get back is a standard response which does not address the issues raised. The service you get when things go wrong is poor to say the least and I suspect they are hoping that I will give up on my claim by dragging it out. I have asked for someone to contact me but they never do. I will never use Booking.com again and would recommend people to use an alternative provider.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I booked a room at the Marriott for one night and supposed to be refundable once cancelled ahead of time. Instead they will tell you to email them and answer will be within 24-48 hours but if you want to cancel now they will charge you around $289. This is a consumer abuse and an advice to booking hotel or anything go straight to the airlines or hotels. This 3rd vendor is the worst and will surely take money from you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Booked hotel reservation and received Confirmation for hotel with Booking.com. Went to hotel and they did not have reservation. They stated it was because I used... BOOKING.COM. I called Booking.com and they could not tell me why... Was up until 2 AM in the morning trying to find another hotel room because Booking.com and the hotel did NOT have reservation - NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017
I booked a hotel in Pisa Italy for Sun August 20, 2017, through Booking.com, only to discover that the hotel, Lady Rose B&B, was not situated at the address given by Booking.com, and the proprietor/manager/staff of Lady Rose B&B was nowhere to be found for the entire day. A German rep of Booking.com was able to confirm the absence of the proprietor/staff after many repeated phone calls by her and myself until 6:45pm that hot Sunday afternoon (40 degrees in the shade).

Worst part was that this hotel was featured by Booking.com as one of the best valued hotels for that week in the city of Pisa.

Upshot: the German rep of Booking.com agreed that I qualified for a legitimate cancellation and promised me that I would not have to pay the 85 euros. Of course, that did not turn out to be case. My bank statement of October 17, 2017 states that I owe $114CAD to Lady Rose B&B. I guess Booking.com's word does not count for much. Booking.com was never comforting or reassuring throughout this gruesome ordeal, not even an apology from them for ruining my vacation in Pisa Italy.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

This weekend we were traveling to a hotel we'd booked over 7 months ago. The day before we were due to travel I had an e-mail directly from the accommodation saying they were preparing for our arrival and asking for the names of all guests. Just 4 hours later, less than 24 hours before we were due to check in, Booking.com e-mailed (NOTE - no phone call, only an e-mail) to advise that the hotel could no longer accommodate us due to maintenance work, and that they'd booked us into alternative accommodation which was about a 40 minute walk from the original one. I had to phone them to find out what was going on, they confirmed the booking had indeed been cancelled, but said it "wasn't their fault" because it was the hotel who'd made the cancellation and not them. I was furious and ended up having to pay way more in order to get somewhere in the area we needed to be.

In addition, a previous encounter with them meant we paid £133 for a hotel room through them, but when we got to the hotel the price list showed that if we'd booked directly with the hotel it would have just been £90. And when they put the distances on their website (e.g. how far it is from a particular venue), it is 'as the crow flies' meaning it's totally irrelevant. It told us one hotel was only 0.3 miles away from a venue we were visiting, but failed to mention there was a whopping great river between the 2, and that the actual walking/driving distance was over 2 miles! Totally unreliable and I won't be using them again.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I tried to booking hotel in Shanghai and found Booking.com provide double room with cheap price. It looks like a good deal so I made the reservation for that double room from Booking.com. After I arrived there, I only got a single room and price is just that room. I complained to them, they said they did nothing wrong because the price is right. So finally I realized Booking.com just send wrong information to me. Once I got there, the room price are not a great deal and you will no any choice there. I will never ever to trust Booking.com.

Booking.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs