Booking.com

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I needed to change a booking and was pretty sure I'd get charged the full rate as it was only a day before I was due to arrive at the hotel. I was told it was really difficult to get through to the Booking.com customer service team and have generally found these sites unhelpful and inflexible. Reading the reviews on here did not inspire confidence but I have to say that in my experience, Booking.com were AMAZING!

Firstly, I got through on their telephone number without long waiting times, listening to hold music or marketing messages. Secondly, they were very understanding of my need to change the booking at such short notice, and despite my being outside of the cancellation period, they agreed to speak to the hotel and negotiate the amendment, which by rights I should have been charged the full room rate for. Within minutes, the booking was changed, confirmation email received, and no charges. Efficient, friendly and polite customer service agents who were eager to help and knew their job well, treating customers like people! You'd think that should be standard but in my experience many support functions treat such requests as inconvenient.

Within minutes it was all done and dusted. Admittedly the situation was helped by the fact that the property in question was flexible and helpful, but most of the time even if a request cannot be granted, it's the way it is handled that makes an impression, not just whether you get the result you wanted. On this occasion, Booking.com could not have been better!

I needed to take my family to Kentucky for my mom's funeral and needed to split the trip for my pregnant daughter. So I booked 3 rooms for the 6 people in my family and felt I had done the right thing when Booking.com sent me, "Your reservation is now confirmed." We got off a little late and so I called the hotel when we got off 40 to let them know we would get there about midnight instead of 10 PM. Imagine my shock when I heard the hotel say they didn't have my reservations.

Booking.com doesn't want you to call them and their website makes that clear. So traveling in the middle of nowhere with my phone losing service on the valleys, my brother texted me their phone number. 888-850-3958. I was confident that Booking.com would make things right once I gave them the booking number and PIN. I was put on hold for about 10 minutes.

Paraphrasing, she told me that the hotel overbooked and their confirmation wasn't worth garbage. She could offer me a substantially inferior deal for a couple of dollars off the price or she could offer me a better deal at the hotel at the hotel where there were several "dirty" reviews. With my son-in-law throwing up in the seat behind me and Booking.com's manager decision that was all they could do, I looked on the bright side that I wouldn't have to work with Booking.com ever again. Using mountain (hill) top experiences to get Google Maps connections, I was able to find the Days Inn in Kuttawa. They were able to give me the 3 rooms I wanted at a cheaper price. My rooms were available when I got there. The person at the service desk was friendly and professional. The rooms were clean.

I am very upset and disappointed in Booking.com. I booked a room through your site that was having a deal. It was paid for and received a guaranteed confirmation. A couple of days later I get an email. They claiming the reservation was a mistake rate, without any proof, and canceled my reservation in the most condescending language. You are a very unprofessional company and I hope others don't have to deal with this company based my experience. A completely Unsatisfied Customer.

I have read other reviews relating to Booking.com which reflect my experience with the company. Despite the assurances that I had 'hit the jackpot and got the best price' and 'we price match - get a better price and we refund the difference' I found the hotel offered lower rates than those promoted by Booking.com. A request for a refund was denied as I did not advise the difference before I checked in - I only became aware of the difference on checking in! In my view the company is guilty of serious misrepresentation and relies on lengthy T&Cs in an attempt to avoid legal responsibility by maintaining their operations are based in Holland and complaints are subject to Dutch laws. Their country subsidiaries do not have any authority in this respect. I am vigorously pursuing this with the UK and EU Statutory Authorities.

City Apartments in Kiev - as a so-called "Genius" member with Booking.com I booked the above apartments for mid-December 2016. I am a 68-year old pensioner who wears glasses for reading but I chose an apartment that clearly stated "Pay on arrival". There was a choice of apartments with a free cancellation policy and I had to cancel giving almost 3 weeks notice but in the small print the apartment I booked evidently had a full cost cancellation fee so as soon as I cancelled, the full payment was taken from my debit card. I appealed to the apartment company direct and I appealed to Booking.com with NO luck. DO NOT USE BOOKING.COM, you have been advised!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

So back in October we booked a hotel in Nashville through Priceline.com. In the past we had done business with them without any problems... until now. When we had to cancel our trip abruptly we knew we would probably be charged a service fee.. .and that was totally fine with us. The problem is that the hotel in Nashville charged us double for the room and overcharged us almost 200 dollars! When I called about the charges they sent me over to their sister company Booking.com. For the past 2 months I have called them to settle this dispute, sent them bank statements to show that we were overcharged and still nothing.

Today I was told by their service rep was that it was finally turned into their case manager that handles situations like ours but it could take MONTHS to get the money back because they are backed up on cases. We don’t need the money but it's the principle of the thing. I don't like to rant but I just wanted my friends and family to know before they book with second party hotel bookers. It may save you money on your trip but if you ever have a problem it will give you a big headache.

Long story cut short. Booked and paid for hotel with well known chain through booking.com. Was contacted only a few days before arrival demanding £200 more for the room, claiming the room rate had been wrong. Refused, so they cancelled. Colleagues who bought at the same rate for the same room and date - but directly from the hotel had their bookings honoured. Lesson - by all means use booking.com to find a suitable hotel - but then recommend you go to the hotel website directly and purchase there. You also get loyalty points, if that applies.

Do not use Booking.com to book your hotel room ever!! I cancelled my reservation within the time allowed and I got a confirmation from the hotel saying the reservation was canceled and no charge was to be made. Two days later my credit card was charged. It has been two months and after multiple calls and emails they have not refunded. They are a scam company. Do not use them.

The site advertised that the hotel had airport shuttle service. It was one of the main reason that I chose this hotel. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. The hotel did not provide shuttle service. They claimed that if I sent in my receipt for car rental that they would see about reimbursement. Well we know how this story ends. They said that since the hotel shuttle had a surcharge there was nothing they could do. Overall Booking.com's error cost me more money than had I just booked a hotel closer to town. Stay away from these dishonest people.

On August 7, 2016, I booked a 3 bedroom townhouse for a stay in Orlando. On August 15, I received a confirmation e-mail that my credit card was billed and the townhouse was confirmed. On August 27, I called when we were twenty minutes away to see if it would be possible to check in early so that we could unload the car, get to our late lunch reservation and head to Mickey's very Merry Christmas party. Imagine my shock when I was told that CCV no longer managed the property and I should have been notified that the reservation was cancelled and my money refunded. Neither of those things happened. Then it got worse, back and forth phone calls and an email telling me that there was a four bedroom home available, that they cancelled the original reservation at no cost to me and that I should make a new reservation online at this suggested location.

Being under pressure, I made the reservation. When we arrived at the four bedroom home I was shocked that they considered the living room as a bedroom because it had a sleeper sofa. A converted garage was a game room and a bedroom with a twin bedroom. There was a bedroom with two sets of bunk beds. Another bedroom had a queen bed. There was no way I could have our 3 year old grandson stay in bunks beds or a game room. I immediately contacted Booking.com and told them their suggestion was unacceptable. They are refusing to give me back my money and the payment for the property that they cancelled has also not been refunded. Their email states that if we incur additional costs as a result of this situation that I should submit receipt and they'll do their best to offer adequate compensation. None of their emails include a phone number. This is by far the most frustrating experience ever.

So I used the good ole app for booking.com while traveling from New Mexico. I have used it A LOT over the last 2 yrs with no problems at all until NOW. The app found me a hotel room in Liberal KS at a hotel that was newer, great reviews, meet safety and travel standards, so I booked the morning of the stay knowing by supper we would be at this destination. When I get to the hotel and attempt to check in the staff ask me for name and contact info, and inform me there is nothing under the system with that info. I respell it to make sure and state I used booking.com and had a confirmation # and pin for my stay. They inform me THEY CAN'T use the booking.com info to find my reservation, so we again go through my name and spell it, my phone number used to book and address even. With no luck.

The staff even informed me that she looked through ALL the days of that week to see if it was on a different day and stated there is NOTHING in the system for any information given. She apologized and informed me also due to workers that travel into town that they were full and so were most of the hotels in town, but did suggest a few names of other hotels to try. I then asked what about my credit card that I used for the payment via booking.com and she stated I would have to go through booking.com and that if anything did come up with my info she would make a note and they would reverse the charges. I however did not get any of it in writing. I immediately went to secure a hotel room somewhere in town. We ended up traveling to the next town to find a place to stay.

While in the hotel, I went through booking.com's prompts of issues with a reservation and it gave me a version of contacting them via a message system. I left a message and because the reservation was still valid, I CONTACTED the hotel through the booking.com site and stated that due to the issue and above statement that I would prefer being reimbursed for the charges if incurred. Well sure enough, charges were incurred when I checked the following week. They did not apply the day of reservation or the next day. They posted on my statement showing that day but in reality did not show on my card until the following week, may have been pending... not sure how that works. My debit card it shows pending immediately too.

So anyway, I have made several attempts to CONTACT them through their site and they have emailed me back some responses and at this time they are faulting me that the site shows the reservation on 10/7 and due to NO SHOW they are valid non refundable charged... BS!!! I have used booking.com for over 22+ hotel stays in less than 2 years and NOW I WON'T use them again or recommend them. I am filing a complaint with the BBB as well.

I was traveling to Lithuania/Vilnius. The apartment owner couldn't charge the apartment from my credit card. And then she came to apartment and unlocked the door. She got in the apartment while I am sleeping. I was definitely freaked out that she broke the privacy. Shortly I reported that to Booking.com and they offered me, Yes, goodwill gesture of 25 euros. I said that's not enough for this. She have to pay more and learn how to be professional. Booking.com customer service staff said that we can only offer 25 euros. And I said okay for 25 euros and they replied me we working on it? It's definitely weak customer service relation. There is millions different apps and I won't use Booking.com anymore!

I am a Genius customer on Booking.com and have been using them for a long time trusting them naively. I booked a hotel in Kashid beach near Alibagh in India and found on checkout that the price charged by Booking was 25 percent more than the listed price. So I paid an extra 50 $ approx per day to Booking.com for nothing. I think this is a very big scam!! I will never use Booking.com again!! Stay clear of this fraud site.

Booking a hotel and coordinating plane flight for a vacation is a hassle, but, will NEVER use Booking.com again. When I arrived, they had my reservation, but had the same rooms available at a much cheaper standard rate. These were the standard rates as the hotel was almost full, but Booking.com gave me the most expensive price for a minimal room. I guess I should have checked more, but thought with all their hype that it would be the best rate available.

I made a reservation in October. Just out of curiosity I called the hotel to check on my reservation. To my surprise I did NOT have a reservation. I called Booking.com and they assured me my reservation was good to go. I decided to check back again the next day. After hours on customer service I found out my reservation was cancelled OVER A MONTH AGO!! No one notified me or gave me any type of warning I would be out of a hotel room. When you are traveling to a different state you rely on the company you're making your reservation through to confirm your reservation. This company had no idea there was a problem with my reservation. When I spoke with the Supervisor Michael ** he understood my frustration and lack of trust in this company. He suggested I use another company. Awesome!

I can honestly say I will never use this company again. I booked a hotel through this company and was told that if the reservation was cancelled 48 hours before arrival I would not be charged. I cancelled 2 weeks in advance and on the day that I should have been arriving, the money was taken out of my bank by the hotel because my cancellation was not forwarded to the hotel. I then had to chase up the money that was wrongly taken out of my bank and was passed between Booking.com and the hotel with no resolution.

16 days later, unpaid bills, charges from my bank and a week of me and my little boy staying at other people houses due to gas and electric being cut off because this amount of money was taken out of my bank and I have finally got the money back. On request of some compensation to pay the charges of unpaid bills, I was refused. My family and friends have been informed of this situation and I know a lot of people who usually use this service will not be in future. I just hope this doesn't happen to anyone else especially over Christmas. So just a word of warning for future booking through this company!

This was the first I have used booking.com and it will be the last time. After searching various websites I chose to book a hotel through booking.com as they were offering the best price and their website looked very good. I also recognized their name as being one of the main hotel booking companies on the web. All I can say is that they are complete amateurs who will not accept responsibility for their shortcomings.

The booking was a last minute one, so I was told that payment had to be made in full at time of reservation. I entered all of my payment into their booking system and booked my hotel. I then received an email which said that my reservation had been "confirmed and guaranteed via credit card." The reservation appeared in my bookings page and I thought no more of it. When I arrived on the day of my reservation, I discovered that my booking had been cancelled and I was left without a hotel room. It took a lot for me to get to the bottom of what happened, however a brief summary is below:

It turns out booking.com do not actually process any payments. They send your payment details to the hotel. I have two issues with this. Firstly, I do not recall ever being asked my permission to send my credit card details to a third party. I believed I had entered my details into a secure payment system. This was not the case. My details were emailed to the hotel and could have been picked up by any of their employees. Secondly, the reservation is not confirmed until the hotel takes payment which is contrary to what booking.com's email informed me. It seems to me that they are missing a vital step in the booking process - There should be an email saying that your reservation is pending confirmation by the hotel, after which a confirmation email should be sent.

It transpires that the hotel were unable to take payment (I will elaborate later), the hotel informed booking.com who then sent an automated email asking me to provide alternative payment details. However this went into a junk mail folder. When no response was received within 24hrs, booking.com cancelled the reservation. No attempt was made to contact me via my mobile phone number which I had provided, or even to send a second email. I feel it is incredibly lax of booking.com to rely on one automated email and not to try and follow up with the customer.

Upon complaining about the misleading email, booking.com's response was to hit me with every piece of their T&C document they could, even though the specific T&C's did not relate to my complaint. They also blamed the hotel for the cancellation and suggested I take it up with them despite the fact my booking was through booking.com. When I did not accept this they blamed me for not having sufficient funds in my account or providing the wrong payment details.

Upon further investigation I found out that the hotel could not take payment because the security code for my card was not provided. When I investigated further it transpires that booking.com's own payment form does not ask for this information. After complaining about this, I was informed by one customer service rep that this is a known issue and that I should contact booking.com after reservation to provide the additional info (this was not evident during booking). When I pointed out that this was too late and that booking.com need to account for this, I was then told it was the hotel's fault. I have no idea how the hotel is supposed to be responsible for booking.com's website.

I am now at the point that booking.com are ignoring my complaint unless I send a new one. The long and short of this experience is that when things go wrong, booking.com are unaccountable and will try to confuse you with t&c's and when that fails they will blame the customer and/or hotel for the mistake. Do not use this company!

We booked 3 rooms at three different hotels through Booking.com during the Thanksgiving holiday. Two of the three hotels did not have our reservation in their system. We will not be using this website ever again for our reservations.

I booked a half board stay in an exclusive hotel in Southern England though Booking.com and paid the invoice which clearly stated what I had purchased. However at the hotel, I found that there was an allocation towards dinner and that anything above this had to be paid for. As this was a treat for my husband and parents in a very expensive hotel, I was very disappointed. We all stuck to the cheapest things on the menu, had 2 courses instead of 3 and still had to pay extra for food. Had Booking.com stated at the time of booking that this was the case, I would have chosen a different venue due to the high costs in the restaurant.

What has actually upset me more than the issue above has been Booking.com's failure to see that this was their mistake and their insistence that it was the hotel's problem. Their customer service has been frankly appalling and completely lacked any care for the customer. I pointed out to them several occasions that I had bought from them a half board package and had the invoice to prove it but they continued to deny any responsibility. For the sake of an apology and a small amount of compensation, they have now lost my custom. I had other trips booked with them which I have now cancelled. That is all I can do. It makes me so angry that they can get away with it.

I booked Shangri-La Hotel in Santa Monica from Booking.com and pictures were so different from the reality of the hotel. This is not my first time that l experienced this in Booking.com. Rating is usually false and customer service don't care when you complain.

Made a hotel reservation through Booking.com for Hotel Novotel Deira Dubai. Upon checking out of Novotel Deira Dubai, I was appalled to discover that the rate is a variable (changes daily) and that the amount charged bears no relationship to Booking.com confirmed and quoted rates. This is fraud especially when their website states "you pay **" and the client is obliged to pay a much higher figure at the counter!

When looking for accommodation in the Fontmell Magna area I looked up the Booking.com website. I found the Fontmell Magna B & B had two rooms available, a King room with adjacent bathroom and a Double En-suite. I subsequently booked the Double En-suite for three nights from Saturday 12 November. On arrival, imagine my surprise when we were shown to an attic bedroom up a twisting narrow staircase. The room was disgusting (see review on TripAdvisor). On complaining to the owner that this was not what I had booked, my wife and I were told that this was what was clearly stated on the Booking.com website. I knew that this was not the case and so I checked the Booking.com website and only the King room and Double En-suite were indeed advertised.

I'm not sure if the fault lies with Booking.com or the Fontmell Magna B & B but surely Booking.com has some responsibility to ensure that people using their website obtain the accommodation that was booked through their website. The accommodation was so bad we left after one night and as the booking was non-refundable, we forfeited the payment for the remaining two nights and had to re-book other accommodation at a separate location. This sort of experience leaves a bad taste in the mouths of tourists to the UK and I feel that someone needs to accept responsibility.

I booked hotel "Arts et Seine" in Rouen, France using Booking.com. When I checked in, I found someone had been smoking in the room, and the hotel was more like a hostel. Really bad mismatched old tat. Def. no stars. I checked out and went to a much better hotel. Booking have it listed as a NO SHOW, and I can't leave a review. The Hostel also has charged me €98 penalty. I want to be able to leave a negative review to warn other people travelling to Rouen.

I was highly disappointed, when I saved up money for a year to book a hotel at LEGOLAND in CA for my son's 5th birthday, to find out after booking this hotel was in Denmark. BEWARE BOOKERS... this site is predominantly European website. I was not looking at this booking alone. I had a friend sitting with me searching the web. It was not apparent this was in Denmark, not California. This was one of the first links that came up in a Google search. In addition, the nonrefundable aspect was not clear. It is very sad that there are companies out there scamming people looking for a deal. The $20 savings wasn't worth it when I discovered it was in Denmark and I would not be in Denmark, wasn't quite worth it now was it? Thanks for robbing a single mom of 3!

They advertise free parking and free shuttle bus to Manchester airport from airport inn & spa hotel. It is advertised as £39.50 for the room. On check-in my daughter has been charged £115.00 for parking and still has to pay for the transfer to the airport tomorrow morning. Absolutely shocking you can book the Hilton at the airport for £91.00 and that includes parking. They tell the truth. They should hang their heads in shame.

I booked a hotel in Oahu through booking.com for July 2017. About 2 months after booking, I got a phone call from them saying that they didn't add on tax correctly and that it would cost me roughly another $200 for the room for the week and asked if I'd like to keep the room. In the interim, most of the rooms in the hotel/condo complex (Hilton Hawaiian Village) have been booked up. I'm stuck if I want to stay at that hotel. I reluctantly agree to the price increase even though it was an error on their end. Now, I get another phone call today saying that the last booking agent gave me the wrong price increase and the price is going up another $200.00. Their business practice is ludicrous. If they make a mistake, they should eat the loss, not put it on me twice. I will NEVER book another hotel or condo through that website and strongly caution anyone else against doing it as well.

I book at LIFESTYLE HOTEL SWAKOPMUND in Namibia through booking.com on Sept 21, 16 and canceled it during the period of Zero Cancellation Cost (Sept 27, 16). However, the debt occurred immediately in my VISA (October 20, 2016) as LIFESTYLE + BOOKING did not cancel the debt on time (before Oct 10). After several calls and emails it pass TWO MONTHS and the refund amount was in Namibian currency. The debt was done in US dollars (US$426.59) and the amount refunded was US$367.41. BOOKING.COM and LIFESTYLE SWAKOPMUND fine me US$59.18. BOOKING.COM is a trick and I am calling in court to proceed against for reparation of material and moral damages.

I made my reservation # ** at Appartamenti Cannigione La Conia, Sardinia, Italy for check-in date 2016-09-11, and check-out date 2016-09-16. I went to Carabinieri's to report my experience and till now I do not have answer. Please note that the amount requested by the property is incorrect: The charge of 135 euro is a guarantee that we show up for a check in at the advertised rental. I am Polish and speak English without problem as far.

Women at the Cannigione's office, was late more than one hour, spoke only Italian and was visibly upset, rude and nervous. One is unable to conduct business with obnoxious individual - I was there with my companion as the witness. Women at the Cannigione's office made unjustified demands for payment without the receipt. Cannigione's demanded in addition to €450 fee, security €250 plus, €25 for towels per day per person. I was stunned and unaware in addition that I could not communicate with their representative who was rude and nervous lacking the minimum good manners expected in business. They demonstrated that they do not give damn, saying that if I don't pay, to vacate their office. They did not allowed me to call the Booking.

They cannot extort rude, at will, any amount to be paid at check in, because this is not stick up of the Booking's clients in foreign country. They are the civil norms and you should know that. And for that we have facts and witnesses. If you say that the property has the right to keep some unduly imposed penalty as per their invented booking conditions, thus you are ignoring facts and take sites against client of the Booking. Please then; we want to escalate our demand and talk with your supervisor. We didn't cancel, modify anything and we showed up to put up with abuse and rudeness.

Next, we made reservation nearby with Booking, where all worked OK, in spite the late hour on Sunday. We also immediately notified Booking about problems at Cannigione. It takes only moment to find online what experience other Booking customers had trusting in fairness regarding the Booking customer, who gave their Credit Card information trusting in their honesty when making their logging reservation. Never give your credit card details to Booking.com.

I booked a hotel through booking.com requesting a hotel 3 stars or greater in Nashville. I first tried to contact them to change my day of arrival by 1 day. There was no one I could reach and only received an email stating no changes or cancellations. Well I thought that's the rules. So we arrived as scheduled at the Sheraton Hotel near the Nashville airport. Our room was in great need of a rehab. The old carpet made me cringe to step on and deco from early eighties. This was rated as a 3 room. We felt like we were mislead in a bad way. I will state that the hotel staff were wonderful, gracious and understanding. We thought about leaving after the first night but had other priorities and not a lot of time to visit family. So thank god for the great people it made a bad situation tolerable. Shame on booking.com for misleading people. I will never book with them again. Shame on them!

So - a few weeks back we booked a hotel via Booking.com, which was of a shocking standard. We ask hotel for a refund - they refused - unfortunately we had to pay before we were given the keys. Instead of staying in this filthy hotel (Anchorage Hotel in Torquay) we booked another one for the same night. When we came back, I got onto writing a review about the Anchorage Hotel on Booking.com - just to find out after a few days that my review was removed.

I decided to contact Booking.com and ask why it was removed - and here's what I got: "We only allow reviews of Guests who actually stay at a property. In case of cancellation, no show or in case a Guest does not stay, the property can be allowed to request to remove a Guest review. This is why, unfortunately, your review was removed. We value the feedback you've provided as it will help us and Anchorage Hotel to improve but in this particular case we had to remove it." Just to clarify - we would've stayed if the room we were given was of at least half decent standard - it was a unbelievable. Images of the listing were completely different to what we saw. Now tell me - how can you possibly believe these reviews if only positive ones are being posted?

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.
  • Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.
  • Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.
  • Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.
  • Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.
  • Best for Budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites