Booking.com

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com on its header says No cancellation fee, pay direct to hotel. I booked a wrong location, and within few hours they sent me confirmation of booking. Which I did not ask for. I wrote multiple emails by sending their ad about no cancellation fee. I successfully fought one issue of booking in Istanbul, area where I was going to be was wrong, however used booking.com for Hilton in Istanbul. Larissa hotel in Amman was booked on same conditions as I travel on airline staff travel. No cancellation fee... But within few hours get an email I confirmed the booking, which was not true.

The customer service messaged me, "sorry cannot revert as you confirmed the booking" and charged me 40 Jordanian dollars. Appalling and cheating. Several emails was sent, as I never confirmed the booking. Do not give credit card number, even though no cancellation was touted, dont believe such sites. Will never book again with booking.com. I am sure they dont care, as there are many other victims available. No cancellation is poor advertisement and luring unknowing customers.

I booked a room based on an email I received saying that I had nothing to lose. FREE cancellation. Then I need to cancel and they charged my visa $583.00. I sent them a copy of the email showing that it said FREE cancellation. They said that didn't apply to me because I was paying a low room rate. I said "Why did you send me an email saying FREE cancellation?" They said "To get you to book." This company is a complete scam. I will never use it and will spend my as much time as possible letting everyone I know that they are all about ripping innocent hard working people off.

When I arrived to my room it was horrible and disgusting. The ac barely worked and it smelt so bad in the room. I booked a room with a full kitchen and in the room there was only a mini fridge and microwave. I went back to the office and told them I was not staying there and they told me I had to cancel through the app so I did. I never got my money refunded so I called Booking.com which was difficult because they don't have a contact us section (only a help section which does not give you a phone number). Customer service told me they will call and get my refund but I still have to pay the one night cancellation fee which I said no way since it was falsely advertised and disgusting. They said I had to put in a complaint and reply to an email they sent which I did. I have not gotten my refund and they have not contacted me at all. I have emailed and called and they keep telling me I have to wait and etc. It's been weeks and still nothing.

The room was advertised at $210 per night and I wanted to stay two nights for a cost of $420. But then you add taxes and 'fees'. This turned out to be $140! Looking at the tax, it's approximately 10% which means that the booking.com fee is over 20%. So the real cost per night is $560. If you book directly with the provider, you can save that $100 fee. I lost the non-returnable one night cost, $210, for cancelling this reservation, even though I canceled within an hour of making the reservation, but I refuse to book with booking.com if they charge such excessive fees!

I booked a couple of rooms with this site. I checked a few days later and saw a much lower price on the hotel's website. I contacted customer service which was a twenty minute wait. Once I finally spoke to someone and ask about their "Price Guarantee" they made me hold for a few minutes longer. The arrogant rep replied that the website had a no refund policy and they wouldn't price match. I took a screen shot of the price and cancellation policy which clearly stated that there was a twenty four hour cancellation window. I told the rep this and he said that I didn't know how to read and that it was too bad. I tried explaining to him again and he kept speaking over me yelling so I couldn't get a word in then he told me he was hanging up because he had better things to do. Their " Price guarantee" is a farce. You can find a better price by contacting the property. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT USE BOOKING.COM.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

On arrival at Mount Mellory, hotel in Blackpool we was greeted and shown to our room. 9 girls sharing, been drinking for few hours as we was here to celebrate a 30th birthday. Within half hour we asked to leave due to noise. We apologised and said "we going out now." The people who run it, looked like 3 traveler ladies was very rude and abrupt so we asked for a refund, as we had find hotel at 10 pm in the dark with no transport. She said no and if didn't leave by 10 mins she ring the police.

We refused so police came and we explained to police who said "Owner wants you to leave" and that we could get our money back if we left quietly. We asked what had we done. She replied "You're a fat **???? Don't ask again." We then left and rang Booking.com, whose reply was take it up with hotel. After we had booked through them, this was appalling. I'll never use Booking.com again or pay before I'm happy with what I see??? Disgusting. We wasted night of our weekend finding hotel???

I was charge me a 145.00 cleaning deposit for a condo rental in Myrtle Beach. The condo was dirty when I arrived. I took pictures and cleaned it. I sent the pictures to booking.com and they refused to refund the cleaning deposit. I will never use them again.

I realised too late that Booking.com is just an introductory website and you have no contract with it. This means that apartment owners can mess you about with no comeback. We were screwed over by the owner of Casamati in Rapallo, who cancelled my stay three days before our arrival. Booking.com will now not let me leave a review of the apartment, and seem less than interested. I will not use Booking.com again.

I booked a condo in Breckenridge Colorado. They sent me detailed pictures of the condo and we confirmed that we would take it. The condo had a deck, hard wood floors, hot tub and a mountain view all in the pictures. When we arrived at the condo, we did not have a deck, no hardwood floors rather a dirty carpet. No hot tub and the windows opened onto a sidewalk going to the parking lot.

The frustrating thing was that it was impossible to get hold of anyone to answer our questions. They work with a company, property manager, Turn Key who also was of no help. My wife and I take one vacation a year and this really put a damper on it. The condo we were told we were getting was in the next building to ours. I feel we were scammed with a bait and switch. Not being able to contact someone to answer our questions was another problem. I would never consider using them in the future.

Through Booking.com I reserved a hotel room four months in advance at a hotel in Antigua Guatemala. It was important we stayed there because other members of our group were there as well. With less than 24 hours before check in Booking.com emailed me that the hotel had called them and canceled my reservation. They said they tried to call me earlier in the day but that wouldn't have solved the situation either way. They booked me at another hotel if I approved, which I didn't because it was so far from my group. It was a huge inconvenience for us to say the least.

We finally found a little room near the hotel. I still spent time at the original hotel and they told me they never called Booking.com because they never had a reservation for us. I contacted Booking.com on my return and they continued to blame the hotel, so somebody wasn't truthful. Through emails Booking.com said they would compensate us 28.00 US. Ha ha. I simply asked them to call the hotel and get a name as to who called them and they wouldn't need to compensate me. Or if they couldn't prove the call took place I expected them to pay one night of my little cheap room for the huge inconvenience we went through because of their mistake. They never responded. They never made the reservation and they just wouldn't own it. Shame on them.

I made (4) reservation March 29, 2017 with booking.com. We read the reviews which was dated back in 2011 and 2014. Well looking at the pictures you would have thought that they remodel the hotel. On June 14, 2017 I cancelled on time (1) room. Here we go about the other (3) rooms. We arrived at the hotel at noon. Check in time was at 2 pm, we had to sit in our cars which was OK, then when we went in to check in they have cats the size of dogs. Then we received our room went to the dollar general and bought spray down the beds still bed bugs. See for yourself the ** hotel this is and booking.com sold this ** to us. One Thamara at booking.com basically told me they take the hotel word.

NO ONE FROM BOOKING.COM has ever went to see if the hotel is fit to house people or not. On Friday June 30, 2017 my sister was in room 103. Her grand kids saw the bugs on the bed. We complain to the front desk and then they was moved to room 105 next door and her grand daughter got bitten behind her ear. Then we just slept in our cars for the other night. Messed our whole family reunion weekend up. The guy told me to call booking.com which I did and she was returned 50% of her money.

So since I been back home I have been trying to clear this problem by getting the entire (2) rooms refunded. I don't care about my room since I was the one who booked the rooms since I been with booking.com for 10 years when I travel and this is the 2nd time something happen. But this is the worst by far. Please review the pictures I am about to show. The hotel is Deluxe Inn 3510 Capuano Street Lumberton, NC 28358 1-910-738-4266. They need to be ashame of themselves for calling that place a hotel and booking.com needs to be held accountable as well. Getting people money knowing that this place is nasty. The other Order Number is **.

Website advertised rate then it changed after confirming. This is simply a bait and switch company. When I got to hotel, they gave me a rate that was 100 bucks a night cheaper, for the exact same room. DON'T USE THEM. YOU WILL BE SORRY.

We booked a hotel through Booking.com and they took the amount out twice! When called, they insist they've released the money, but the bank says they have not! We can't pay our bills because the bank has our account frozen until Booking.com releases the amount, which is over $1000.00! Don't use this site!!

Recently enjoyed a holiday in Italy. The downside being that Booking.com and their agent Intasun managed to mess up our charges. Meant that we were overcharged and no end of calls/emails has got me anywhere. Rubbish customer service. In future will only use them for reference and ALWAYS book direct. In fact have already done this for holiday next Feb!

Beware on using Booking.com!!! I have used them twice in the last few years. BOTH TIMES, when we tried to check into properties... they did not have our reservations. I had all the Booking.com reservation # but we did not get on the list. Both times were Prime Seasons & all of the hotels were booked in the area. They always blame it on the front desk saying THEY overbooked. NOT TRUE. If you choose to use this site, be sure to check your hotel direct to see if you in fact have a reservation! WORST EXPERIENCE EVER when using this site!!! BEWARE... BEWARE!!!

I setup an account, I thought. I reserved a room. I never got a confirmation. I tried to login again but it said there was no account with my email. I assumed that the transaction never went through. I went to a different website and booked a different hotel. I was then charged when I didn't check in. I called Booking.com and was told I made the error and I was charged. Get over it. He was an ass and argued with me and yelled at me for 5 minutes. He then went in and I magically received an email with my confirmation but it said my name, email address, and phone # was changed. I told them I would never use them again and he said "Good. We don't want you!" I wished them to go out of business. Stay away. You will get nowhere and they are shady at best.

Room Booked was Falsely Advertised. I recently booked a room in San Antonio that was supposed to have a room with 2 queen beds and a living room with a pull out couch. That is what was described by Booking.com. When I got to the hotel they put us in a room with 1 queen bed and a pull out sofa. There were 3 of us and we were each expecting our own bed. Luckily the hotel was nice enough to upgrade us to a room with 3 beds free of charge. But they told me this happens all the time with Booking.com and services like it where they will falsely advertise the room they book for you.

While booking it said free cancellation. Once I had booked however, got to know I cannot cancel for free and the cancellation cost is the entire amount of booking, which was 500 Euros in my case. Also nowhere in the booking confirmation they display that it is eligible for free cancellation so they can play safe afterwards. Basically, they lie to get you to book and then you can't cancel. And the customer services never answer their call.

On 07/07/17 while searching for Red Roof Inn on Google days before, I was given an 800 phone number. When the person answered, she identified herself as Red Roof Inn. When I arrived at the hotel and found out their pool was closed. I asked to cancel reservation. They told me I had to call Booking.com since I had made the reservation through them. No problem with the hotel cancelling my reservation. Booking.com still charged me a fee. I had made a 2nd reservation the same night through Booking.com online for motel 6, in a NON-SMOKING ROOM. When I arrived, they said Booking.com made my reservation for smoking. While trying to make them change me to a non smoking room they didn't care to listen. Everything in the area was booked. I couldn't find any vacancies nearby and I don't know the area. I was forced to sleep in a dirty & smelly room.

When I called Booking.com all they could say is "we will try to get you a refund or price reduction from hotel." Well that didn't happen. On top of paying my stay Booking.com still charged those fees. Even though Booking.com had an old bank card on file. They made their way to my new bank card and managed to request payment from my bank. People looking to save on hotel reservations, trust me you are better off booking directly with the hotel. Hotels will not accept any responsibilities for mistakes or unauthorized fees & give less quality in service.

The information is misleading and I mistakenly booked a hotel (Staybridge Suite Austin airport) with no-cancellation allowed. I called immediate when I got the email confirmation, they don't allow me to cancel. Seriously within 10 mins? I will never use booking.com again. NEVER!

I tried booking a room at Atlas Suites CN Tower And Convention Center in Toronto through Booking.com but before doing so had some questions for the manager about the reservation. The manager, Nadeem, yelled at me, used profanity, and was completely misogynistic. I let Booking.com know as they should remove this hotel from their listings. He was the most unprofessional customer service agent I have ever dealt with. I would like to file a complaint against this hotel. No one should be treated the way I was.

While booking the trip, the company switched the dates I had entered, and then I was not able to change the desired dates. They are high pressure to confirm "deal of the day" purchase and have you focused on the additional fees they add (not $139 as advertised, but $196.75 with added facilities fees and taxes). I was able to cancel my credit card before they charged my account as they wanted to charge me $139 to cancel the reservation within 10 minutes of booking. No changes can be made once you make a purchase. Most websites when you hit purchase take you to a confirmation page, this one did not so it is easy to be fooled.

Booking.com edited a review I submitted. They removed the negative comments and left only the positive comments. My review was not too long; other reviews are much longer. This was not my first review, but it was the first where we had a problem with the property. This casts doubt on their review system and for this reason I won't use them again.

This company is misleading and a bunch of liars! I was told my account had a holding fee for a hotel when I was actually getting charged the full price! I even spoke with customer service and this is what she told me! I called the hotel and they confirmed that it was a "deposit fee", which made no sense because I chose the option to pay at the hotel. This company straight up lied to me. I don't know how they are still in business!

Deceptive marketing, false advertising, bad charging practices - Booking.com tells you that rooms are sold out or that only one room remains - those are lies (known as marketing come-ons). When checking in you can often see that most of the keys for rooms are still not in use. Because I travel with a dog, I go out late at night and early in the morning, so I know if lights are on in rooms and if cars are filling the parking lot. Most of their "hurry, last room" claims are total BS.

The cancellation charges are how they make most of their money - and changes to your reservations also cost money, mostly full price. When you contact them you get bad service and another line of dung - never again.

I have used Booking several times and I was satisfied until the last times I used it. I just used Booking to help me book two rooms and I guess I accidentally pushed smoking but I explained to the lady on Booking.com to change my rooms or let me cancel and book another hotel with them because both my wife and aunt have asthma and I had a 6 month old baby and the rooms were really strong with cigarette smoke. The lady told me she would contact the hotel on my behalf and ask them to cancel free of charge. 5 minutes later she told me that the hotel said no and if I wanted to cancel I would have to pay 130 per room to cancel 260 total.

I went in to talk to the manager and he said those were lies. He told me to call Booking.com and tell them he was ok to cancel free of charge as long as he didn't get charged by Booking and the lady said no. Booking.com will get you some good prices on rooms but they are really bad on giving you all the details about the rooms and the customer service is terrible and leave you waiting for more than an hour. Booking is by far the worst site to use for family comfort hotels. I'd rather pay a little more on other sites but know that they will work with me and the best interest for my family.

Sadly from a business point of view Booking.com does little to protect business from customers who have an issue and feel they are badly done by. Contacting Booking.com is generally a waste of time as I have been put on hold so many times for up to 58 mins:38 sec and often get cut off even when I call back. Customer service for Booking.com is very insular as you will only talk to is the person who answers the call. (When you're lucky enough to get someone on the phone.) Most complaints will go no further than your initial call or complaint. Large business such as these have only a "Profit driven agenda." Our business has been accused of fraud by Booking.com saying we have been posting fraudulent reviews, without being able to show any proof as to how they came up with this outrageous statement. I have called 30+ times to get details about the claim, but will often get cut off mid sentence.

Bad, very bad people. On the website, they say "Pay Directly to hotel". But they charged my credit card, before I checked in. I had reserved two rooms (one for me and one for my friend. They charged MY credit card for both rooms. The hotel (Radisson, Kissimmee Florida) said, "You are all set." Did not even give me receipt. My friend had given his credit card but still they charged my credit card for his room as well ($388x2 all PREPAID!!! on my card during online booking). My friend returned to India. Booking.com or hotel refused to charge my friend's room on his credit card, because it was already charged on MY card!! I can’t ask my friend to return my money, when he already returned to India. Booking.com could not care less. They got their money. These people are "cunning". They will never help you. I will never use Booking.com ever again. You don't either. We have lot of options. I am angry at Booking.com.

They don't tell you they will charge for cancellation even it's done 24 hours prior to check in. I got charge for $69.99 for the cancellation of two night stay! It wasn't the first time they did this. Their rate is never cheaper. You rather make reservation through the hotel directly to avoid the cancellation change. Will never do business with them again!

I booked for one night stay at the Murrayfield for the night of 22nd June 2017... When I arrived the hotel told me my booking was for 19th July 2017! As it happens we found very late accommodation in Edinburgh for that night. The real issue is the unflexibility of cancellation/refund policy of Booking.com/Expedia re: a refund for the night of 19th July which I totally don't need. Being passed from pillar to post by the hotel & Booking.com... Living in hope for a full refund! This is a clear scam and will not stop on these pages if I fail to get a full refund! No more, no more.

Compare Travel Sites