2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.70/5
Based on 2,514 ratings submitted in the last year

Booking.com Reviews

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I am very pleased with Booking.com and their customer service. I recently used them to book eleven different properties on my European vacation. All but one of the properties were perfect. Unfortunately that one has a crook for an owner. When I returned I contacted Booking.com and they refunded some money I had to pay for parking I didn't receive at this property. Then the property stole $437.96 from me on my credit card. I again contacted Booking.com who just one week later fully refunded the money. Every time I called I had just a short wait and I like that you can contact them with complaints through email as well. I also wanted to mention that I had a past bad experience where a hotel said they did not have my reservations upon arrival.

I called Booking.com who found us another hotel (Nicer) and paid the difference in price. I will be staying with Booking.com but I will be encouraging them to remove this property I had the problem with from their site. I am not exaggerating that this owner steals large amounts of money from people from all over the world on a regular basis. Hopefully Booking.com will take action on that.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

When my hotel refused to refund a week in my card after I had been there for 3 months but had to leave a week early, I called Booking.com because it's where I made a reservation. The man was very sweet even though I was livid. He placed me on hold, called the front desk to attempt to negotiate my money back. He said they did they have a RIGHT to all my money. The man from Booking.com apologized and said he would refund me $25 just as an apology for the situation even though they have no control over the hotel refunded my money. I'm about to review that hotel on their website but I wanted to say that I appreciated the effort by the Booking.com rep and even the small $25 refund! First class service. Maybe you should run the hotel.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I booked the hotel thru Booking.com, and got confirmations from both booking.com and the hotel itself. I was going to arrive fairly late to my motel, 10pm or so, and told them so, I even called the motel and confirmed this, and they said the room would be held. When I arrived, they said there was a mistake, and all rooms were already given up. I was tired, and there were hotels about 15 miles away (which was the direction I was going). I did not want to waste time, I went on to the next place, and they had rooms. The room was $50 higher though than the one I had booked. I contacted booking.com, they apologized for the situation, (though I believe it was the motel's fault, not their's), and refunded me the $50 difference within one day. Excellent service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I always used Booking.com for my hotel plans and only once they almost failed me. So I got a long distance tickets to travel the other end of the world thru Booking - Turkish airlines. In the middle of the trip, I had to come back to the US so I quickly purchased one way ticket back and called Booking to let them know that I am cancelling the return portion for my first ticket. The representative was nice and said that Turkish airlines will reimburse 400$ if I schedule another flight within 12 months but it must cost at least 700$ as total for the trip.

Now after few months, I remembered that option and decided to use to make another long distance travel but when I called Booking.com they tried to reach out to Turkish airlines, where they got the answer that Turkish will reimburse only tax for the return ticket (Turkish airlines really broke my heart). But because Booking representatives understood the situation and in order to commit to what was promised reimbursed the whole ticket price to me! I really didn’t expect that. Thank you guys! You brought the best journey experience into my life.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I have used the site before and found it very helpful. However, my most recent visit to Tampa, FL left me thinking wondering what process Booking.com took to properly vet the hotels they use. The hotel was HORRIBLE!!!! There was no indication that the rooms were outside access like a motel. The room was dirty and smelled. The first thing I thought of was that it looked like a place where prostitutes and pimps frequented!!! I went back to the office and requested a refund. The lady at the front desk gave me a “we hear that all the time” look and dismissed the charges. However, it took a week before the funds were returned to me. My family was able to find another hotel and we were told that they got lots of complaints about the hotel. I am hesitant to trust Booking.com to find a hotel after that terrible experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I am in the process of putting together a trip for a group of 14, something I'm trying to do every other year. I never have all 14 people confirmed yet when I start my planning, so I went on the Booking.com website to make hotel reservations for the entire group that were fully refundable with no pre-payment and had free cancellation up until a few days prior to arrival, with the knowledge that I can adjust the reservation once I have my group together. First let me say, I made two reservations the first day and both worked successfully...I was able to make the reservations with all the proper filters without a problem.

A few days later, I found out I needed yet another hotel for this 11 day trip and needed to change the dates on the prior reservations. I put in the number of rooms I needed along with the number of people and the options I stated above in the filter. Afterwards, it took to me to a page where I had to select my rooms. When I began to select rooms, I noticed the number of rooms was increasing above 7. That's when I noticed the site was selecting the rooms (I'm assuming, based on my other reservations or availability). So, I deselected the rooms that were pre-chosen by the website because I needed additional twin rooms and then hit the back button to check on other hotels' availability. I went back and forth a few times to check on other properties and again, it would pre-select a room choice for me.

I eventually decided on a hotel and booked it. As soon as my confirmation was sent and I printed it, I noticed that three of the rooms required pre-payment and were non-refundable without penalty. I knew immediately it had to be some kind of computer glitch and tried to call Booking.com several times to correct the problem. I did this within minutes! I called again and again only to be told in an automated message to enter my confirmation number and pin number. After a few minutes, it would just hang up on me.

The next day, we were notified that there might be fraudulent activity on our credit card. I looked at the charges and there were two entries from the hotel and several attempts to charge for the third room. I tried reaching out directly to the property through Booking.com's messaging center. I received the same automated message three times from the hotel...that I had booked three rooms with pre-payment and four with free cancellation. No discussion beyond that. I tried to explain it was a mistake and that my reservation isn't until Sept. of 2020 and that I wanted the charges removed. They responded with the same message again.

I immediately called the credit card company (who informed me it wouldn't be considered fraudulent, but rather a disputed charge). The C.S. rep asked if we could do a three-way call with Booking.com. I said "Absolutely" and I wished her luck. As with my phone calls, we went through the same process...confirmation # and pin #...then nothing. No human ever got on the phone.

The credit card company removed the charges and then two days later, there they were again...a slightly different amount. I called the bank again and now we are in the process of formally disputing the charges. I ended up canceling ALL three reservations with Booking.com and booking the reservations directly through the hotel. And to my surprise, in once case, I even got a lower rate than they offered on the site!

I guess like any other computer-generated program, it works well until it doesn't. Then when you need someone to help you with an issue such as this, you are plumb out of luck! It has been a frustrating week to say the least! I'm hoping this will be rectified soon! Sorry Booking.com. As a person who has worked in event coordinating for many years, Customer Service is a high priority for me....as is being able to reach an actual person when you have a problem that a computer cannot fix!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

My card was stolen and a booking was made under the card, the customer service responded within 12 hours and agreed to cancel the trip without charges to my card, took care of any inconvenience and sorted it out.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I booked a taxi through the Booking.com site; it is their service also. I had a confirmation and communicated with them several times about pick up time/location at Krakow airport and name for the sign. However, when we arrived...no taxi to pick us up. We waited for over 30 minutes after we arrived thinking they were delayed. When everyone else had cleared the area and no additional flights were landing, this was 11:30pm, we found a bus and trolley and very nice local to show us the way to our hotel. Our hotel was a bit outside of the city.

I contacted booking.com the next day and proceeded to do this for two weeks by phone and email before anyone responded. Finally, when they did it was "sorry that happened but we show you were picked up, let us investigate." They investigated and found in fact we were not picked up. This caused us much grief on the very first night of our vacation, endless emails and calls to booking.com. Their resolution was to credit our card we had placed on file; they had no choice as I would have disputed the charge with Chase credit card. Also, how they charged us for a ride we never took amazes me. Then their grand gesture was to give us a 10% credit on a future ride. Wow! My time emailing, calling, and going back-and-forth with them has soured me on future dealings with them. I've used booking.com for years and never expected such mediocre customer service.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I am the president of a travel company in which we book a lot with Booking.com, Hotels.com, AirBnB.com. This is by far the most unorganized, shady and unprofessional company that I ever dealt with. They cancelled my customers reservations without notice or explanation. When I called customer service they gave NO explanation and offered no replacement places for them. They could care less about the customers situation and could not give a reason for just randomly cancelling our customers hotel. There were no hotels to book and had to put in an Airbnb. Imagine if you're traveling and wary and get an email stating that your reservation is cancelled and you're getting a refund... With no solution or explanation. This is not the first time and they have BY FAR the WORST Customer SERVICE in the industry. They actually tell you to go to Hotels.com if you dont like what they do.. Crazy.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I booked trip to San Diego at this site. Should have known better, because this happened to me another time. I booked at price for $119 per night special rate, no need to deposit just hold it. Well they did not send me any booking numbers till after cancellation could not be done without night fee. When I got the email, it is $75 more than what it should be, so I called customer support. She was very apologetic and polite and telling me to be more careful when I book next time. I told her will never book with them ever!!

Not sure about Booking.com?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Booking.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team