2.92/5
Based on 1,618 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

3083 Booking.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

I booked a motel room through Booking.com for a room at Myrtle Beach. The motel and room were very nice in the pictures but once we got there I knew immediately it was a mistake. The guy that checked us in said the room was in an extremely dangerous place and he offered to move my 3 kids and I to another room that was safer. The hotel overall was not safe and we were frightened the entire time to come back and get to our room. Even the maintenance guy told me to not go on the street where our room originally was because there had been people murdered back there and a lot of hookers hung out there. Don't trust Booking.com with your life. They buy up the most horrible rooms and offer them to you at a discount. Losing your life is not worth the discount. I wrote them to let them know I didn't appreciate the lack of concern for me and my children. They didn't even take the time to write me back.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Was looking at Days Inn Port Aransas websites (where I have stayed previously) and thought I was booking on their website. Then saw on the scheduling it showed Booking.com. NO DETAILS displayed on the page for adding check in or check out dates ever showed any "no refunds" note. Nowhere within the several pages did ANYTHING say we would be charged the entire reservation amount at once. When I saw that my immediate confirmation message showed full withdrawal of funds, I immediately cancelled the reservation. DO NOT DO THIS EITHER as they told me I would not receive a refund. They told me to call the hotel to get refund and it was based on hotel policy. When I call the hotel, they told me, "Call Booking.com because we did not charge you, they did." THIS WAS NOT HOTEL POLICY.

So when I call Booking.com and INSIST on speaking with a supervisor, I am told "this is a process, and you will get an email in 5-7 days." I felt the scam building. Kept my cool and told the rep that she could either refund my hotel reservation or reinstate it. She said it was cancelled and they cannot. However the hotel said if I has the Booking.com rep call them, they would honor the reservation. When I asked the Booking.com rep to call them to clarify, she refused saying I cancelled and they don't talk to the hotel. I told her she was breaking a contract accepting reservations and not honoring the booking when MONEY WAS IMMEDIATELY WITHDRAWN FROM MY ACCOUNT.

I told her I expected a refund less their $14.99 fee, OR reinstate the reservation. She refused. She also told me no supervisor was available to speak with me as they were on another call. So I told her, "It's amazing that your "process" allows me to book and cancel within 90 seconds, but I have to wait 5 to 7 days to hear from someone only to repeat what you already told me?" She left me zero alternative. I am stuck in this waiting pattern that I know won't end well. I told her if they don't refund or reinstate the reservation I will have my lawyers contact them with legal action for unauthorized withdrawal of funds. Unreal. What a scam they have going. PLEASE DO NOT USE BOOKING.COM AS THEY ARE A MAJOR SCAM.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Trying to find a solution for a late check in, Booking was totally absent and was just accusing the hotel for not being flexible. Despite 4 emails with explanation of the problem, there was none on behalf of Booking to really support the client and try to find a solution. Total disappointment!

Original review: April 18, 2019

Received disappointing message from Booking.com few hours before a group of 4 families was about to start our travel. They did not try calling me also. Below is the message received:- "We tried calling you to discuss your reservation at Paatlidun Safari Lodge, Jim **, but were unable to reach you. Unfortunately, Paatlidun Safari Lodge, Jim ** is unable to accommodate your booking **."

Original review: April 18, 2019

I booked through Booking.com a hotel stay at Europaeischer Hof in Munich. I paid by bank transfer (called SOFORT Banking). Later the hotel sent me an email saying that during the time I'd be there, construction would be going on and that I could cancel with a full refund. I processed my cancellation on Booking.com and the return email stated: "If your booking is eligible for a refund you will receive that within 7-12 days. After waiting two weeks I sent an email to the hotel and they responded that I would have to contact Booking.com since the hotel only received a payment with a "virtual credit card".

I forwarded this email to Booking.com and wrote several emails with absolutely NO response from any of my emails! I finally had to call (with telephone costs) and the customer service representative then had to call the hotel to verify that they had approved my cancellation. The customer service representative said they didn't see any emails from me, then said "Oh, there's one from 4 days ago". I find the email response time from the customer service office is VERY lacking. I had sent the verification letter of cancellation from the hotel to the customer service department, but because they didn't read their emails, they never received the copy of the hotel's cancellation confirmation. I was very disgruntled over the whole situation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: April 18, 2019

I booked this property for hotel accommodation through booking.com from April 11-14th for my birthday trip for $1144.59. After checking in and realizing how inaccurate the place was to the photos online, I tried to dispute with the property who did not answer my calls and then booking.com failed to come to a resolution. Issues included a distinct awful smoke-like odor the moment you walked in, marks all over the walls, dingy wooden floors that looked unclean, table stains, bed sheets that had make up stains/hair, and beds that felt very cheap. The supervisor at Booking.com proceeded to tell me that they've never had complaints before and that the pictures I took were not "that bad". I ended up paying an additional $500+ for a small room at a hotel for the same duration of the reservation yet still was charged the full amount. Whatever you do don't do business with these business. It's a complete scam.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I received a refund from a Booking which was placed into my account on Booking.com under wallet. One has the option of transferring the credit to money placed back on your credit card. My credit card is good and has been used on my bookings with this company. Now that I want the funds returned to my credit card it keeps coming up with a technical problem and cannot give me the refund try again. I have talked to customer service several times and tried putting my card in again. The same technical problem keeps coming up. I am beginning to believe that Booking.com sets it up so you will not get your refund back and have to use the remaining money towards further bookings with this company. To avoid the hell I am going through, please use another travel service.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I received a refund from a place that I cancelled on Booking.com. The money was returned to Booking.com via my wallet. I have a perfectly good credit card that I have used for all my bookings. Now when I try to move the money back onto my credit card, the site keeps coming up with technical issues and the money cannot be transferred. I have tried to fix the problem by speaking with customer service several times. I have even re-entered my credit card. When I try to transfer the funds a technical problem comes up. I am beginning to believe the company does this so you cannot get your money back and have to use the refund for further bookings on Booking.com. This company is a nightmare. Please do not use them.

Original review: April 17, 2019

My hotel cancelled a booking. Phoned booking.com up - the lady said, "I will look into it and phone you back within 5 mins." 30 mins later no call. Phoned again - the man said, "I will look into and phone you back." 45 mins later he phoned. He said it took longer than expected because he was on a break? Eventually he said, "I will get some alternatives and send the e-mail out." And then going through a procedure. The procedure was a complete farce. He did not send the e-mail? This company employs people who can say and do whatever they can to make something so simple so awkward and could not give a damn about its customers.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Customer reserved my apartment thru booking.com - first reservation for me thru booking.com. Booking.com told me that they would pay upon arrival. Unbeknownst to me they insisted that the guest pay with a credit card and when she cancelled a full 6 months in advance they will not give them a refund. They will not answer any emails and or phone calls. Do not do business with them.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have made multiple bookings. Received two separate promotions in the mail for credits after travel. 1 for $40. 1 for $50. I still have not received the credits after multiple contacts with customer service. Seems like a scam. I would recommend using another site.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I'm a genius client on Booking.com that I'm a frequent traveller. I ask booking if calling customer service have any cost, they told me that no that’s for free and I have a some questions so during my trip I always call! Today I received my phone bill. I have over 250 dollars in calls to Booking.com. When I call them to ask an explanation they told me, "Sorry but we’re no responsible and bye!!" NEVER CALL THEM AND AS GENIUS CLIENT THEY NEVER GIVE YOU NOTHING LIKE THEY PROMISE SO I DONT RECOMMEND THIS PAGE AT ALL.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I used Booking.com for a reservation April 10-12. I arrived at the hotel and the first room was unsafe. The lock on the door was broken and the doorknobs to the bathroom fell off. I took the doorknobs and a pic of the broken lock and showed the front desk attendant. He apologized and offered me a new room. We went to the second room. There was a white substance dripping down the walls, the lampshade had brown droppings in it and there was no toilet paper or towels. Elevator was down and the restaurant was closed for renovations which was not listed in the ad you put on your website. My kids and I left the hotel within 45 minutes because we were disgusted and felt unsafe.

I went to another hotel and called Booking.com within minutes of leaving the first hotel. I sent them pictures as requested and I was told they would resolve the issue. I spoke to someone every single day for 6 days. That is the amount of time the hotel manager has to respond. Booking.com said the hotel denied my request for a refund because the hotel said they offered me a solution and an upgrade which they did not. Thaddeus which was the last person I talked to, was very rude and yelled at me when I told him I was going to leave a bad review so other people won’t lose out on money. I WILL NEVER USE YOU AGAIN! Your company is very dishonest. Don’t use booking.com!

Original review: April 14, 2019

We booked a hotel in Iceland through Booking.com 5 weeks in advance and paid in full ($600.00) using PayPal. Two weeks later the airline which we had also bought and paid for our tickets on went bankrupt. So we called Booking.com to cancel the hotel reservation three weeks in advance of the check in date and request a refund. BOOKING.COM REFUSED TO REFUND OUR MONEY DESPITE A FULL 3 WEEKS ADVANCE NOTICE! They intended to keep $600.00 and refused cancellation!

Thank God we used PayPal for the purchase. I filed a complaint through PayPal. They said they would contact Booking.com and give them 10 days to remedy the situation. Booking.com never responded to the PayPal complaint so PayPal went and reimbursed me the full amount from their commercial PayPal account. BOOKING.COM IS A SCAM! BEWARE AND STAY AWAY FROM THESE THIEVES!

Original review: April 13, 2019

For my stay, I chose the most suitable one from the property list Booking.com screened. But it was a ghost apartment with lots of wrong data. 24-hour front desk service not available. Contact number did not care for my arrival. They caused me to experience fear and extreme stress at night as the apartment I booked via Booking.com was sold also to somebody else.

What is worse and why I complain about Booking.com is that this company protects JUST the properties and dont care for the guests as they did not even post my review about the property I purchased. It was my right to share all the problems they put me into with other people and to warn them against ghost reservations but they charged me despite all the stress they created. Never ever hope to receive proper customer service. They are more into their partners (properties) as they are the source of profit for them. My last experience with Booking.com from now on!

Original review: April 13, 2019

I booked an expensive apartment for 4 adults and 1 child. Less than a week before the date of arrival, I got a message, not from Booking.com, but from the owner telling me that the booking was cancelled, but that she could find another place for us. I was dubious about that because I wondered why it wasn’t booking.com to contact me. When I finally was able to reach someone at booking.com (they didn’t return my emails or phone calls), they concurred that the owner should not have contacted me. Booking.com didn’t help at all. They offered me another apartment in another city 25 km away! Meanwhile, I understand that my booking was cancelled because the owner overbooked. This doesn’t sound like a legitimate company...it sounds like a bad Airbnb! Never book an apartment through this company. What a joke!

Original review: April 13, 2019

Booked a room in Nashville. Booking charged 140.00. Looked on hotel website later and room was 82.00. I paid almost double by booking through Booking.com. Book direct!! I usually always do and wish I had this time! Never again!

Original review: April 12, 2019

I booked a stay at Holiday Inn for April 13, 2019. We booked around 8pm April 11, 2019. We decided to rebook through the site for another hotel closer to our tournament. Our booking was $90/per night. Booking.com is charging us a $79 cancellation fee. Avoid this site. Call the hotel directly.

Original review: April 12, 2019

When traveling through Canada I reserved a hotel through Booking.com. When I got to the hotel they informed me Booking.com had canceled my reservation. The hotel still honored the price I got on Booking.com which was good but now going through my statement I found that Booking.com still charged me.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Had difficulty booking online...ended up using two credit cards because they said one didn’t go through. Only to find out both cards were charged and there was also an unexplained charge on both cards. In trying to resolve the issue can’t get through to anyone via email, phone or live chat. Seems like a total scam. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY FOR ANY TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS!! Be advised!

Original review: April 11, 2019

The site advertised a hotel reservation for $103 and promised no card would be needed. Then when booking - all seems well, and it then asks for credit card. So I accepted the first lie and entered CC info. When the reservation was made I see charges of $335, including a $39 VAT tax and a $160 room cleaning fee (?!?!). That's absurd. So I cancelled within 90 seconds and the cancellation fee is the room fee of $103. What a great scam. Thing is, Google uses them as their default provider on the maps application, so... LOTS of people are being scammed. I won't ever use any type of online booking system ever again. If a human being can't be used to make a reservation, I will just go on to the next hotel.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Unauthorized charges were made using my credit card and fortunately I was notified within 35 minutes of the transaction. I immediately called my bank and then contacted Booking.com. The agent at Booking.com placed me on hold for 20 minutes then said that there would NOT be any charges to my credit card and she would email me with a confirmation number. That was 5 days ago and I have been given the runaround between the hotel and Booking.com. I am extremely disappointed in the way I have been treated and I would not recommend doing business with this company!

Original review: April 10, 2019

Searching for lodging and deciding on one, agreeing with price. Credit card charged for that price, then two days later, an addition $209 charged for taxes, cleaning and other fees. Never again, Booking.com.

Original review: April 9, 2019

2 rooms were booked through Booking.com. One of which was a referral. The person that was referred received their credit, I however, did not. Both reward confirmation emails were sent saying that the refund is on the way. I check to see why mine hadn't arrived when the other one did (same bank and everything). I see that the refund was sent to a card that is not my own. I have repeatedly explained this to booking representatives, rewards specialists, etc. and they all tell me that there's nothing that they can do and to just wait to see if the reward comes. They even made me send screenshots to prove that the 2nd room was booked using my link (after changing their story saying that there was no record of my referral being used).

I keep telling them that it's not coming because it was issued to a foreign card (not my own). I have asked them repeatedly to just reverse that credit and send it to the correct card. They refuse. I have followed every instruction to the letter, I stayed, paid, referred a friend, and updated the card that the refund was to go to. No refund and no help. Terrible experience with this company and their representatives. One guy even told me that he doesn't need to listen to me because that's not going to help the issue (after I tried explaining to him that I had already spoke with several representatives). He eventually hung up on me. To say that this has been the worst customer service that I have EVER experienced would be an understatement.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I booked a rental home for family coming into Cape Coral for a long weekend. The booking was confirmed but then I received multiple emails conflicting each other, 1st email location was overbooked and my reservation was canceled but the funds were withdrawn. 2nd email reservation confirmed, 3rd email please contact us to modify the reservation. Finally, reach out to customer service, had to book and pay for hotel reservations for 1 night and then move my family to the original location and who had to pay for Booking.com error me. I was assured that I would get a refund for the difference in the pricing but several weeks later still waiting. Customer service no record of promised refund, no surprise. Don't use this website.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I booked a hotel through Booking back in November because I received an offer in November giving me $40 back if I book before 12.22.18, what I did. I booked this apartment in Toronto, and even if I shouldn't have been charged the full price at the moment of the reservation they did it either way 5 month before my trip. Almost 5 months passed and I decided to add to my reservation a parking space for the 2 days I was staying in Toronto. In the meantime my wallet got stolen, I did informed the property and I called Booking.com because I needed to be sure the parking space was approved. I am not sure what the operator did at that moment but somehow my reservation got canceled because when they tried to charge the parking fees, my credit card resulted invalid.

Though!! I called Booking.com to informed them my credit card was stolen why would they even try to charge the same credit card that was obviously closed. So pretty much one week before my trip, they canceled my reservation because they couldn't charge me for the parking, they did sent an email that went to spam folder. I realized that my reservation was canceled because 2 days later after the cancellation I logged into my account to ask the property if I can have an early check in, but I had a big Surprise. No reservation.

So the circus started, I called the property to see why they canceled my reservation, and they informed me it wasn't them, it was Booking.com. Called Booking and they informed me in their system it doesn't show I paid the price in full 5 months ago, and then the operator changes her mind and tells me I actually paid everything in full, but they reimbursed my money in the same day- THIS IS NOT TRUE. Explained to them for like 10 minutes that I had no credit received from them since November, and after insisting and getting irritated on the phone, the operator changed her mind stating that they reimburse my money the day they canceled my reservation. After more minutes fighting with them on the phone they informed me there's nothing they can do and I have to reserve something else. So I did so, at a higher price of course.

The lady also informed me I won’t receive the $40 cash back because I canceled my reservation before my stay. Useless to try to explain her that it wasn't me canceling my reservation, it was them. Because I wasn't happy with the answers, more emails and phones to customer service went through, to resolve my issue. One of the operators actually told me I should pay the cancellation fees, but because other colleagues promised me I will receive the money back. They will give it to me.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I booked a 1 night stay at Studio 6 in Ocean Springs, MS. There were no problems with the reservation, payment, or the stay. Three weeks later, I get an email from Booking.com that my reservation has been cancelled and I am being billed for $55.99. I called the Studio 6 in Ocean Springs and they say Booking.com is experiencing a glitch and to disregard. However, since Booking.com has my credit card # and says they are charging me a cancellation fee, I must monitor my credit closely and dispute any unauthorized charges because I cannot trust Booking.com. I would recommend you avoid doing business with Booking.com.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I'm about to write a negative review of Booking.com and I see that I have plenty of company. Here's my story: I booked a hotel through Booking.com in October 2018 because Booking.com promised a $60 rebate, to be provided as a credit on my credit card. After 2 months, no credit had appeared so I contacted the company. I learned that the rebate could not be provided on an American Express card, which is the card that I had registered with the company. Nothing in the ad for the rebate had indicated that only Visa or Mastercard could be used. So I put in my Visa card number, as instructed. More time went by. Still no rebate. More Email contact with Booking.com. I was instructed I needed to check a box, so I did, and hit "Enter."

More time went by. Still no rebate. More Email contact. I was instructed to enter my Visa card, check the box, and hit "Enter." I replied that I had done all that long ago. They asked me to send a screenshot by email to prove it. So I did that. More time went by. Still no rebate. More email contact with Booking.com. I got a response telling me to enter my Visa card, check the box, and hit "Enter." So I called Booking.com and spoke to an agent to told me to enter my Visa card, check the box, and hit "enter." I got pretty annoyed, so she told me "The $60 is on the way, I can see it, you will get it within 2 weeks." I don't really think I'm ever going to get it. Needless to say, I'm done with Booking.com.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Do not use Booking.com. They might offer good hotel deals but their customer service behind the scenes is terrible. I booked a hotel in Paris, when I arrived at the hotel I felt very unsafe. As a single female traveler I trusted my gut instinct to change hotels ASAP. When I called Booking.com to try and get a refund from the hotel the customer service representative (a female may I add) told me that I ‘needed to provide proof of evidence for feeling unsafe and that someone cannot feel unsafe without proof.’ Excuse me? From what logic does this come from? She made me feel like my fears where unjustified but has she personally visited this hotel? No. I now have spent money for two hotels because I trust in my instinct and safety over money always but the way that Booking.com handled this is disgusting. They do not care about their customers' safety.

Original review: April 6, 2019

A month in advance I booked a hotel in Cincinnati Ohio. I had a conformation #. Booking.com had already withdrew a deposit. I got to hotel and it began... HELL!!! Hotel had to reservation for us. Even with confirmation #. Hotel called Booking.com talked to a supervisor. They told me to rebook and they would need another deposit. I passed. The hotel was very good at getting me a room at the Booking.com price. That night I canceled my summer plans. Will never use Booking.com. A cluster ** of a company.

Booking.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs