2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Booking.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I am very pleased with Booking.com and their customer service. I recently used them to book eleven different properties on my European vacation. All but one of the properties were perfect. Unfortunately that one has a crook for an owner. When I returned I contacted Booking.com and they refunded some money I had to pay for parking I didn't receive at this property. Then the property stole $437.96 from me on my credit card. I again contacted Booking.com who just one week later fully refunded the money. Every time I called I had just a short wait and I like that you can contact them with complaints through email as well. I also wanted to mention that I had a past bad experience where a hotel said they did not have my reservations upon arrival.

I called Booking.com who found us another hotel (Nicer) and paid the difference in price. I will be staying with Booking.com but I will be encouraging them to remove this property I had the problem with from their site. I am not exaggerating that this owner steals large amounts of money from people from all over the world on a regular basis. Hopefully Booking.com will take action on that.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I made the wrong date booking by mistake and was "told too bad for you it's final" and I couldnt change it. Everyone who was invited to the birthday couldnt make it the day before so I was really stressed out. I called back crying talking to a different agent and he was able to switch everything for me, no penalties and no change to the price. First customer service person gets zero stars, second gets 5. Definitely keep calling back to get the help you need. But it does create a lot of unnecessary stress.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

When my hotel refused to refund a week in my card after I had been there for 3 months but had to leave a week early, I called Booking.com because it's where I made a reservation. The man was very sweet even though I was livid. He placed me on hold, called the front desk to attempt to negotiate my money back. He said they did they have a RIGHT to all my money. The man from Booking.com apologized and said he would refund me $25 just as an apology for the situation even though they have no control over the hotel refunded my money. I'm about to review that hotel on their website but I wanted to say that I appreciated the effort by the Booking.com rep and even the small $25 refund! First class service. Maybe you should run the hotel.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I booked the hotel thru Booking.com, and got confirmations from both booking.com and the hotel itself. I was going to arrive fairly late to my motel, 10pm or so, and told them so, I even called the motel and confirmed this, and they said the room would be held. When I arrived, they said there was a mistake, and all rooms were already given up. I was tired, and there were hotels about 15 miles away (which was the direction I was going). I did not want to waste time, I went on to the next place, and they had rooms. The room was $50 higher though than the one I had booked. I contacted booking.com, they apologized for the situation, (though I believe it was the motel's fault, not their's), and refunded me the $50 difference within one day. Excellent service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I always used Booking.com for my hotel plans and only once they almost failed me. So I got a long distance tickets to travel the other end of the world thru Booking - Turkish airlines. In the middle of the trip, I had to come back to the US so I quickly purchased one way ticket back and called Booking to let them know that I am cancelling the return portion for my first ticket. The representative was nice and said that Turkish airlines will reimburse 400$ if I schedule another flight within 12 months but it must cost at least 700$ as total for the trip.

Now after few months, I remembered that option and decided to use to make another long distance travel but when I called Booking.com they tried to reach out to Turkish airlines, where they got the answer that Turkish will reimburse only tax for the return ticket (Turkish airlines really broke my heart). But because Booking representatives understood the situation and in order to commit to what was promised reimbursed the whole ticket price to me! I really didn’t expect that. Thank you guys! You brought the best journey experience into my life.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I arrived to Big Bear almost 1 1/2 weeks ago to care for my mom who Hospice thought might be getting close. Afraid of losing her independence she wouldn’t let me in her house so I had to quickly book reservations over a very busy Labor Day weekend. First place booked through Booking was on the edge of being unsafe and then I was able to book a place for a week with the local rental agency Village Reservation Service who was amazing when it came to customer service, actually trading my reservation for a better place for the same price because the one I rented was not up to their standards.

Needing to get closer to my mom's house (thinking she would need more care but possibly still not let me in) I booked a the only place I could find by her house that was not way overpriced. But there was no number to call to ask about flexibility because of my situation. But every time you book a new place it cost so much in fees that I took a risk and booked it for 10 days to get me through two weekends.

After spending 4 days helping my mom I realized that her time is not quite now and that I should get her set up to remain independent and head home for a month or two (18 hours drive in Oregon where I am currently very worried about fire danger). So I started working with Booking.com which was through Evolve (this person or maybe she was a computer... not sure but she was nice and efficient) to see if I could maybe drop the whole reservation or split it and pay for half the nights and they could put the other 5 nights back on the rental market. She said she would send the message on to the authorities (?Bookings) which I thought I was talking with them. No response 24 hours later.

Finally 48 hours later I get this very official robot sounding response saying I had to follow the rules and if I backed out I would have to still pay almost $1400 of the over $1800 bill. I then asked if they could try putting it back on for at least that second weekend since Big Bear is still very busy. Only option they gave is I could stay for how long I want and get credit for the other nights another time.

I asked if that meant I would have to use that credit in Big Bear or if I could use it anywhere and would I have to pay their fees all over again? No response as of yet and this is now a little over a week after making the reservation and 3 days after trying to work with them. I am already pretty stressed out between helping my mom but wanting to get back home because of all the fires. I will never use Booking.com again and from now on will always use the local reservation service. I am very disappointed by Booking.com lack of assistance and their I flexibility. Linda

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I made a reservation for a rental car during Labor Day weekend, I arrived to the pick-up location on time for the rental and when I got to the counter was denied a car that I prepaid for. I called the customer service line for both the Rental car agency and Booking.com. Booking.com denied my refund, said I didn't show up for the car and that there was nothing they could do. When I reached back out to them and reminded them that I did in fact show up for the car nor did I breach any part of the contract I was still denied. I will NEVER deal with them EVER again!!!! I lost out on over $200 and missed my son's tournament. Not a good company!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I have use Booking.com at least since 2000. I have had two problems which were fixed with complete satisfaction. I have used them more for travel in Europe than elsewhere. The quality of the offerings have gone downhill to the point that I have mostly stopped using them except for finding places to stay and then contacting the place directly for a better deal. These days many of the rooms they offer tend to be the hotel's marginal rooms with some kind of problem. In the past it was possible to reserve a room you could cancel up to late in the day of arrival. And that is what I call "free" cancellation.

It seems to near impossible to find a truly free cancellation in their system anymore. I wanted to send my comments directly to booking.com. I could not figure out how to do that-enough said. It is still a good place to find hotels. And even if their system calls a hotel booked full, it probably is not full. Just the special Booking.com "deals" are booked up. I think the last time I made a reservation through them was a one night special situation in 2018, and that was it for the entire year. I am still rated as Genius Level 2 in their system - Hmmm!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I booked a hotel directly across from the Hauptbahnhof in Munich because I have cancer and cannot walk far with a heavy suitcase. The hotel was once the Hotel Regent located Seidlstr. 2, Maxvorstadt, Munich, 80335, Germany. When I arrived the hotel was boarded up. The business next to where the hotel was, said it closed in early March 2020. It is now September 2020 and Booking.com is still allowing it to be advertised on their site knowing it has been closed for over six months. This cause considerable stress in my life since I am not able to carry heavy items far and I booked this specific nice hotel because of its proximity to the train station. This is the third time in 2 years I have booked a hotel with Booking.com which has been closed for months and they know it is closed.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I booked a condo for my wife toddler and myself. We booked the flight just before Covid 19 hit. We booked 7 months in advance as well. Well needless to say Covid hit, end of travel. Both the condo owner and I agreed our trip was over as the destination city was locked down. Booking.com charged us almost half of the full booking price as a cancellation fee. Just was too much money, I can understand a small fee to cover some expenses, I know typing a few key strokes, hitting a send button or two is not easy. But to charge 100 US dollars for the labor..Wow..I must be in the wrong business, perhaps I will give up Law and do what these folks are doing.

Booking.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team