1.19/5
Based on 578 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Last updated: April 23, 2018

2379 Booking.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 23, 2018

I booked a hotel through Booking.com. They make you think the hotels are going fast when they aren't. I booked the hotel thinking I was getting a deal and then when I brought up the app the day of to confirm my information the hotel was listed as half as much. It's cheaper to just call the hotel directly and not use a third party.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I've found that Booking.com overcharges way more than booking through the hotel itself. Also, when confronted with this, they went back on their 'price match guarantee'. Worthless website and dodgy business tactics. Avoid at all cost.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had Israeli guests stay at my hotel. A couple with two small children. They booked with booking.com while in Israel and paid me by credit card at the hotel. They were very happy with their stay and wrote a 10/10 review. It was posted publicly on my Booking.com web page. However, within days of it being posted a Booking.com staff member in Cyprus deleted this Jewish review in a very suspicious and anti-semitic manner citing that the Jew man was a fraud. My guest was very annoyed and wrote to booking.com. They ignored him. I wrote to booking.com myself many times and they have ignored all my communications. They even called my guest a criminal. It is outrageous! This is disgusting anti-semitism at worse in the hotel industry. Every guest has the right to post an honest review regardless of race, color, or gender. To delete a review because a guest is Jewish is abhorrent. I suggest not to use booking.com.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Booked a room through Booking.com for Extended Stay in Las Vegas, arrived at 10:30 PM and we did not have a room. Called booking.com and they said to rebook a new room at another hotel and they would refund the difference including the parking fee and breakfast since the hotel we booked at originally had these accommodations for free. Have emailed many times with receipts and have not gotten a refund. It has been over 2 months and still no response. Very disappointing. Will never use them again.

Original review: April 18, 2018

When arriving in Phoenix, we decided it was too late to drive to Flagstaff so I quickly booked a property near the airport. What a nightmare! The property automatically charged our card nearly $150. When we arrived we were immediately concerned at the condition of the office with low-life looking folks hanging around and a sign posted that said no visitors and no drugs! The young man at the desk handed over a key that didn't seem to work so my husband went and got him to come to the room. He had to ram the door with his shoulder to open the door. My husband walked in and immediately stated that we could not stay there.

The room was dirty and unkept. The bed had two flat sheets and a thin table cloth-like piece of fabric thrown over it, nothing was tucked in. The pillows should have been retired many years ago. The furnishings were ramshackle at best. The only chair was FILTHY and ripped; it looked like someone had urinated on it! An old wall mirror was sitting on the floor. There were no light bulbs in the bathroom vanity fixture. Only one thin towel was provided. The shower was a pipe coming up from the floor and unattached to the wall.

As I said, we immediately refused the room but the employee refused to refund our money. Booking.com has taken more than a month and only offered 33% refund. I spent far too long on the phone last night with one of their reps and could only increase the refund to 50%. The worst part of the whole affair is that despite my report they are continuing to offer this property: Western Lodge Phoenix Airport/Downtown! The rep simply said, "We offer all kinds of properties." Therefore, buyer beware!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: April 18, 2018

Please do not use Booking.com. It's used by shady and fraudulent businesses and they get away with this. My experience started by booking the Tribeca Lofts property for $3838 in NYC. We used this as they advertised a big loft. The owner of the condo starts emailing me stating how the reservation is invalid, how they cannot make payments at this time through the site, to send their payment through their PayPal account, all from his personal email. I told him to cancel the reservation altogether.

I don't hear back from them for two weeks, later somehow Booking charges my card for the whole amount. The condo owners reply was, "Sorry, we cannot help you, we don't know what you are talking about." Booking.com does not help, they tell me to call the property. The property tells me to call Booking. A total disaster. Talk about dishonest, and fraudulent business. Beware of Booking.com and its property owners who are out there to deceive many like me. Absolute fraud, scam. Government should investigate this site and its deceiving practices. Now I'm left with a bill I cancelled and was told was invalid. Very misleading.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I had a terrible experience at the Bogart Hotel in Brooklyn NY. I booked it through Booking.com so I wrote a review. They never posted it so I emailed and asked why and they ignored me. I would not book through Booking.com again or stay at the Bogart Hotel.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Terrible business-worst ever. Somehow in my searching multiple sites and prices this website overpowered all others so I thought I was booking with the hotel itself which offered the same prices. Couldn't contact them to change or modify the reservation, despite multiple emails. So to cancel they charged $128.00. How does such a deceitful company get away with this kind of fraud?

Original review: April 16, 2018

Very bad customer service. Reps hang up the phone on you, impossible to get manager on the line. They advertise price match guarantee but they don’t actually give it! At least I didn’t get the refund. Another website was about $150 cheaper. Booking.com tells me to contact the property, the property tells me to deal with booking.com. Absolute disaster. Will never ever use it again. Worst experience.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I recently booked a hotel in Portland, Oregon through Booking.com. After the long drive we checked into our hotel to find ants, holes in furniture, things not working, broken things, the pool and hot tub not working properly. It was awful! What was worse was the hassle to speak to the owners to get moved to another room. I had my child with me and was not in a financial luxury to go to another hotel. When I got home I contacted Booking.com to express my concerns and asked for compensation in some way. They sent emails with lots of apologies but very little compensation. What they did offer was insulting. When I counter offered they replied with a "final" offer of the same amount. When they reimbursed me it wasn't even at the rate of exchange I was charged, in fact it was 10% less. This company does not hold the customers satisfaction to much of a standard and quite frankly CHEAP! I will never book with them again.

Original review: April 15, 2018

On the night of April 14, my family and we’re traveling through the Germantown area. My husband and I were too tired to continue our travels. We online and booked a hotel in the Germantown, Tn. area. We normally favor Fairfield Marriott service, so we booked the Fairfield Inn in Germantown, Tn. through Booking.com. Immediately after receiving my confirmation email I contacted the hotel and booking.com to let them know that there was an issue my check in and out dates. The hotel stated that there was nothing they could do. I had to contact booking.com. After going around with booking.com, I ended up having to book another hotel because the Fairfield Inn was booked and unable to change my date to the current night. The representative that I spoke with stated that in order to cancel my reservation, I had to speak with a manager from the Fairfield Inn.

The manager wasn’t in at that time, so I had to wait until the next morning. I was also told that I would receive a call from a representative from booking.com, but I never did. I called booking.com to find out the status, and realized that no one from their office had checked on the situation. The representative end up calling the property and explained the situation, the manager stated that it was against the Marriott policy to cancel a reservation through booking.com. I spoke with booking.com again and they seemed unwilling to try to help get my reservation canceled! I ended up paying for a room that I didn’t use, in which both parties had ample time to rebook. I felt like there was no concern for their customer!!! I will also think twice before using either service.

Original review: April 15, 2018

4/15/2018. I used the online service to see what the cost would be for a three night stay at a hotel. I stated that it would be $197.00/night which would be $591.00. When I moved forward in the page, it next wanted my CC info. Moving forward to get the totals of the room, taxes, and fees, it skipped this and went to a page telling me my card had been charged $719.00 - with no listed fees or taxes. I went to my email and they had sent a receipt with the total of $719.00, again with no listing of the taxes or fees.

I did not agree with this, so I immediately called to complain as to why I would be charged before I agreed to the amount of taxes or extra fees. I was told I could cancel but I would still be charged the $14.99 booking fee and it could take 30 days to get my money back. I was told "Next time you should review our cancellation policy before booking the room." I told her there would be no next time, they were the worst site I had ever used, and I was going to tell as many people as I could to beware of their shady business.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have used Booking.com twice and I really should have learnt my lesson the first time. The first time I booked a room for a family of three with one king size bed. And when I asked the hotel for another bed they said they couldn't bring one in. It was quite a horrible experience when you don't get to away much. And then the 2nd time I booked I thought we were getting two queen sized beds and a set of bunks because we were bringing my mother along but we had two sets of bunks one with a double bed. This website is very very misleading and I've been told it is far better to just book directly as Booking.com add their own charges on top. So I will never use this sham of a business ever again and will be spreading the word.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I booked a hotel stay through Southwest, which was through Booking.com, and the same day canceled. I was surprised to see I was charged for the entire amount, over $400. I called the hotel and they said I had to talk to booking.com. I contacted booking.com numerous times, but in the end they kept the entire amount. Please do yourself a favor and book through another site!

Original review: April 12, 2018

I'm going back to the conception of this prepayment scamming company to the pre-birth of the whole adventure... MSN's flashy advertisements that "we the people" are suppose to feel safe surfing, enjoy, and marvel at endless conveniences. Not so!!! My eye was caught by the virtual MSN Ad, in clicking go, Bing is actually hosting Booking.com as number one hit (recommended # 1) so I tried it, read the FINE print, all of it, took nearly half a day to read, consider making the choice, and finalizing (try it) my decision and booked a 2-week reserve with a stay @ Bellingham Median Econo Lodge Suites in State of Washington. Before I finish what comes next I say this...

I generally call motels directly to set updates and give card number & show up, very rarely do I cancel and have done so within time allowed without penalty. The last time I traveled was 3 years ago, so, I can't imagine needing to be aware of how much times have extremely changed in that amount time where even knowing the dangers exist. And if we share anything in common, I don't think we encounter beware alerts, we pretty much, the larger populace, is just beginning to learn the hard way. So, in reading fine print it said some properties may... I say again... "may" require a prepayment, which means to me some deposit of undisclosed dollar amount at some point in time may or not be required.

Well, for me, this policy didn't define itself in the fine print until after hitting confirm button and a reservation confirmation number is giving but you have to confirm email address before any more details can be revealed, So I confirm my address still unsure what comes next and next comes check emails again, and there was one with 2 attached documents. I opened one... It's in binary order (all 1's and 0's) and so is the other. Difference between them one is 6kb in size the other 166kb. I then emailed customer service... never heard back, I called only to find out I was now under a policy to pay at any time asked before checking in or cancel at a fee of, get this, the cost of the whole stay 962.00 dollars.

It was 4 days after calling I received email of invalid card, called my card institute to find out they ran my card seconds after hitting first confirm (about 4 clicks before receiving illegible confirmation emails) while still at the site trying to finish making my reservation. I'm leaning towards claiming they ran the card before the authorization to do so by me was giving, about 3 clicks too soon.

At this point I've made no payment, changed for new card and number afraid that attempts during the next coming weeks could cause a credit reporting etc. issue, and that what was suppose to be a badly needed time to go somewhere has become a 1000.00 debt with no hopes of any vacation. Even worse no roof over my head for a month. It would cut into expenses. I will no longer have finances to live by for a good month and worst a bad report for me. I absolutely refuse paying and won't stay at the motels represented by Booking.com, in fact, a class action against them is what I'll be hoping for, this episode forced me to make some extreme changes thru recourse.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I booked three rooms for one night using my friend's card. At the time of booking it was mentioned that they will not charge from the card but need card details for confirmation of booking. And that payment shall be made at facility. However after getting the card details they deducted the money without informing me. As a protest, I cancelled the booking. I want my money refunded as soon as possible.

Original review: April 11, 2018

The site was very difficult to use. Each time I looked, the prices changed. Finally I booked a week's stay at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabo and requested a room with a view. I did not call the 800 number and wish I had. My friend and I shared a room and it looked directly into a cement building (right hand side) and the children's pool on the other. The Hyatt kindly changed our room. The main complaint is that when I checked out, the original amount received from Booking.com was not what I was charged because the dollar was converted to pesos.

Therefore I paid $70 more dollars. My fault is I did not read the 1 sentence in all the verbal info that was sent to me prior to trip. I recommend that Booking.com make sure loud and clear customers know policy. Company sent me a dispute email that would take a day to organize and fill out and not worth the $70...just to advise future customers...be aware!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I booked a hotel room with a star rating of 5.4. Should have been ok. Got there, it was filthy, wrong beds, bed bugs, and they couldn't find a reservation for over 45 min. We did not stay there and complained the next day. Booking says that a 5.4 rating is pretty good but if you look at their rating system, the lowest you can get is a 4 anyway. They refuse to refund my money.

Original review: April 10, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY EVER!!! They are the worst. Booked a hotel, cancelled literally 1 minute later - this was in February. On April 6, last Friday, my debit card was charged $626 for a hotel that I was not at and that I was not staying at. No one could help me, hotel blamed Booking.com, Booking.com blamed the hotel, complete SCAM.

Original review: April 9, 2018

2 days before my family trip to Los Angeles they emailed to say the hotel was no longer available and would try and make other arrangements for us. After an hour call and some inferior alternatives an hour away I decided to call the property directly who told me all was fine and scheduled for our Arrival as planned. Called back Booking who after another half hour and calls to the property said it was an internal issue and the reservation was fine now.

I was disturbed at what had just transpired and asked them to do something to compensate or it would be my last reservation thru them. No response in 2 weeks. Today my coworker got a similar email that her reservation in China next week was cancelled. Rebooked through another site no problem and now no more business going to Booking. That is over 120 nights loss just by me. Booking days are numbered if they are going to take no responsibility and operate this way. I recommend to avoid using their service.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I was directed to this site for a reservation I was making to attend a conference for work. I had to change my reservations within the hour, due to a conflict of my schedule. I was booking for Snow King in Jackson Hole, Wyo. I properly canceled the reservation, and upon canceling received an email stating that I owed half of the total cost of the reservation. That total of half is $818.00!!! BEWARE ~ There is NO PHONE NUMBER WITH WHICH TO SPEAK to a live person, FURTHERMORE, upon the confirmation of my reservation and my cancellation email, it refers ONLY TO THE RESORT! I called the resort, and they were very helpful, and yet, it is an error, not of their making. Somehow this site has compromised the booking for SNOW KING, sadly, as the staff member Ann, with whom I spoke was very helpful. DO NOT USE THIS SITE FOR BOOKING!!!

Original review: April 9, 2018

I had a reservation ** to stay at MEDICIS HOME DIJON LES PETITES in Dijon, France. They stated that the booking was confirmed but at the end they cancelled my reservation in the morning of my arrival. This type of last-second cancellation is absolutely unacceptable. They only said they tried to contact me on the date. Of course I could not be contacted since my family was travelling. They simply don't accept their responsibility. Please don't use Booking.com since they can cancel any reservation and you may end up having no place to stay overnight.

Original review: April 9, 2018

We had a reservation thru you and canceled it on Feb 7 2018. My card was charged for 1st night on Feb 21. I contacted the property and my reservation was still active even after receiving email from you saying it was canceled??? This has happened 3 times!!! Get it together. Will not be doing business with your company again. Thanks for the stress. Annoyed in VA.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I booked a stay in London (Leicester Square Apartment) through Booking.com last month. Paid £258. When we arrived the property we didn't have any water at all. We were 4 girl without ANY water in the apartment. Called up the landlord, he couldn't help. Called booking.com, they could only refund £178, nor could they help to find another place when we literally were crying on the streets without a place to stay. Bought lots of bottle water to save ourselves and stayed there that one night. Woke up the next day with bed bug bites all over our bodies. Contacted booking.com, they wanted me to contact the property owner directly.

I contacted the landlord, sent him pictures of the bites etc. He couldn't do anything. He wanted me to give him a 10/10 review on booking.com so he could refund £50! I refused. We left the apartment that day and booked another hotel nearby. Money wasted. Contacted booking.com again to solve this, and they offered me £40 directly from them and £50 from the landlord, so £90 in total. They wanted me to contact the landlord directly one last time to get those £50 back, if not they said they'll give me that too and charge him afterwards. So did I. He still refused. Got back to booking.com and this is the respond I got: "Sorry, we refunded you £40, that's all we can do. You will have to take the rest with the landlord, can't help hereafter".

Original review: April 9, 2018

This company is as crooked as they come! Or must not have much support from quality hotels and motels, they had the nerve to lie to me and my family about what was available and do not take into account the places reputation and services they are selling. They told us everything in Rincon GA was booked due to spring break so we end up getting a deplorable Rincon Inn Ga stay. Sure they have which they advertise. WiFi (in the lobby only), boogers on the walls, shower didn't work bed bugs, roaches. Oh yea and a pair of pooped in mens underwear from the last people that stayed there. I am assuming, No ice no vending.

Will never use Booking.com or any booking site again. They have been selling these rooms since 2011. If you want to be eaten alive by bugs or live with roaches on top of all the service issues then these are your guys. Otherwise I say do your own legwork negotiation when finding a room. Booking.com SUCKS. Just ask me, my father in law, my two young children and my wife that had to deal with this horror. It's really did hurt our 4 day stay in GA. It's bad when you look forward to driving 18 hours to get back to freezing cold MI.

Original review: April 7, 2018

We made a reservation for 4/5/18 on Booking.com at the best Western in Hardeeville South Carolina. When we arrive the desk clerk told us our reservation was canceled and the hotel was booked. After driving nine hours we were stranded with no place to go.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I booked the Hotel Metro Dublin several weeks in advance of staying there as part of a charity walk from Galway to Dublin. However, the hotel suffered a fire several weeks ago, but for some bizarre reason Booking.com only communicated this to me less than A DAY beforehand by email. It also said someone would be in touch to help arrange a new hotel for me but I did not receive any word for a good 12 hours. After logging a customer service ticket myself, I eventually got a call from Booking.com with a feigned apology before being told I'd be given a refund and that I'd have to book another hotel (A Friday at Easter in Dublin!). I was shocked that this was all that was done, but I was too tired to be angry. I had to re-arrange travel arrangements and my schedule which (after 150 miles walking across Ireland) was a massive inconvenience.

One customer service agent even had the cheek to say "we wish you an enjoyable stay at Metro Hotel Dublin Airport" even though it's currently burnt out. Absolutely pathetic. You have had EVERY opportunity to do something about this. I will absolutely avoid your dire and unprofessional site whenever I can in future.

Original review: April 7, 2018 I have a reservation that was booked through this sham company. It was a non-refundable reservation, however, at their website they say if you can find the exact same reservation for less that will guarantee the lower price. I have submitted a claim. Then was told that they needed 48 hours to review. That was 48 hours ago. So I called and spoke with someone and they told me that my claim was neglected when first submitted and that it had been elevated to a higher level. And that I would receive an e-mail shortly. Well, I did receive an e-mail shortly. That e-mail said "Please allow us 48 hours to investigate your claim, in accordance with our Terms and Conditions." I don't believe this company. I am going to contact Southwest Airlines since they suggested this company in a flight confirmation e-mail.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Booking.com routinely display a notice in red font alerting the consumer that this hotel offers free cancellation when booking. Be aware that they may not. I booked a hotel and canceled the booking four days out. I was charged 115$. Booking.com claim that as There was reference made to cancellation conditions after confirmation... In effect after I was already contracted... this was sufficient notification. Please be aware of my experience when considering if the offer of free cancellation is a trigger for your booking on this site as it was in my case because you may find that it is not in fact free.

Original review: April 6, 2018

We booked a yacht for our vacation. Spoke to the person that owned the property broken English. The day of our check in, I called the property again, the same guy with broken English stated that there was some kind of mistake because his boat was not available that week. We had to find another place to stay DURING SPRING BREAK!!! Luckily we found another place but paid $160.00 more than we were going to pay for the boat that we booked. I sent the property several emails before this, so the guy with the property knew someone booked it for that week. I am not sure who I am more upset with Booking.com or the stupid man that had property and then backed out the day we came. I am going to call them and tell them to block that guy from being on there.

Booking.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs