1.19/5

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2836 Booking.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My wife and I booked a hotel in mid August in New Orleans for a rare vacation early in October. The booking went through fine for our Deluxe Queen Room. Everything in our confirmation looked good. About a week before we were due to fly to New Orleans I received an email reminder from Booking.com reminding us of our upcoming vacation, including the details of our booking in "1 Queen Bed Petite Room." There was obviously a mistake so I contacted Booking.com "customer service" to get this corrected. The booking was not corrected before our stay and over the course of the next two months all emails and phone calls with "customer service" at Booking.com have resulted in nothing.

The facts are pretty straightforward. There is on the hotel website, and on the Booking.com site a room type of "Deluxe." There is also on the hotel website a room type of "Petite." On the Booking.com site they do not use that language, but they do have a "Standard" room listed. In all the back and forth with Booking.com I was simply told that I got the room that I booked even though they have different names and there was nothing they could do. Customer service should be about actually trying to resolve a customer complaint. There was no attempt to do so in this case, and from my experience it seemed like that is standard operation procedure. I was profoundly disappointed and will not do business with any of their business again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I booked a stay through Booking.com, and their webpage wasn't working. I went back and booked again successfully, and then cancelled the reservation a few days later. Turns out the first attempt was successful, but confirmation wasn't sent to my email, so when I cancelled the second reservation the first was still active. The hotel charged my account when I didn't arrive, and when I contacted Booking.com they were very nice, but completely ineffectual. They contacted the hotel (whom I had already contacted), and when the hotel management said that they wouldn't refund, Booking.com threw up their hands and said there was nothing they could do. I will not be using this site again.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

The rewards program is a scam. Share your link with a friend, after your friend book and stay using the link we both get 20 bucks back. That is false and they lie and make up an excuse not to honor the reward. This has happened to me 3 times and I am currently on hold with to tell me what happened. Well they wasn't able to tell me what happened so this in my opinion is a scam. I did everything according to the terms and conditions of the program but they refuse to honor their own program. I can't wait for a security breach happen and our personal information gets exposed. I am going to be the first to file a lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I was quite happy with the Booking.com app to book my accommodation abroad, however if you have any problems, they take zero responsibility for anything and they are not very keen on helping you out!! For future reference, I will book through Expedia instead.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Booked a hotel months in advance and received confirmation from Booking.com. Two days before my trip I received a notice that the hotel was over-booked and they could not accommodate my reservation. They said they found another hotel that was just as nice and for the same price. The hotel is not as nice and the price is higher. I called the original hotel who said they did have rooms available (but at a higher price) and the problem was that Booking.com never confirmed the reservation. I booked directly and they gave me a discount because of the situation. I will not ever book with Booking.com again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Booking.com?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I booked a hotel through booking.com Hotel Crowne Plaza Brussels. As I was going through the process I was looking for a hotel that allowed cancellation as my friend was unsure if she could make it but we wanted to secure rooms in the same hotel if she did. I found one that said I had until the 7th December (the date of our check-in) to cancel my booking. I was also prompted that the rooms were going fast and that there were only 3 left.

I booked the two rooms and as soon as I received my email I saw the change. It now stated that I would be charged a cancellation fee if I did cancel which was the full cost of the room. I am now paying for 2 rooms and only using one. The hotel and booking.com weren't clear in the advertisement for the room and I believe were deceptively forcing people into booking. I have to wear this cost as ultimately I fell for their scam but I want to warn others of the techniques used by the site and to advise them to book hotels via other means.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We booked an “executive suite” in LA two nights with Booking.com. When we arrived it was a dirty smelly student dormitory. We immediately complained but got no help. We left after one night and booked another place. When I tried to get refunded by Booking.com they simply said that the manager of the place offered 70 dollars compensation, but we paid 220 dollars per night. I told Booking.com we should get our money back since it was falsely sold as “executive suite”. In the end we got 90 dollars back after talking to Customer Service Manager Courtney **. They have bad attitude and do not help a paying customer. I have booked 46 trips with them and spent tens of thousands of dollars. No more.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Booked a two night stay 30 days in advance through Booking.com at a rate of $318 for both nights...they do not break down the price for individual nights. Setting aside the fact the hotel was not as stated (4 star), imagine my surprise when I paid upon departing and the total cost was $495. Total cost with taxes should have been roughly $360. Long story short, it has been determined that the error was on Booking.com. Hotel said we had two Upgrades. Booking said no upgrades. BIG runaround. Then I remembered a similar incident with Booking.com years prior where I booked TWO nights stay only to be told by hotel we only booked one night. Yes! Booking advertised two nights for the priced we booked at, only to revise it to one night stay for the price of two. BOOKING.COM NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN and the proof they are corrupt and breaking the law is reflected in the nearly ONE THOUSAND ONE STAR REVIEWS!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Booked 2 bed apartment for one night in Dublin near Customs House Quay. I received call from the owner of the property to be told Booking.com had double booked the apartment even though I had fully paid and received confirmation number. He kindly got Booking.com to ring me who offered me 'alternatives' but I had to cancel my booking, wait 7 days for a refund, rebook again and pay in full including a €200 damage deposit - the customer service agent Ahmed was as helpful as the system would allow but his cowardly supervisor would not speak to me on the phone and I basically got no compensation for their error. I will NEVER book with them again and I am going tell all friends and family to avoid this website who clearly don't care once they get your money. If they mess up... you still have to pay!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

November 15th - 18th we made a reservation through this site. When we go to the hotel it was rundown, had homeless people on the lobby sleeping, was under construction and the room was crappy. It had mold in the shower, floorboards were coming up off the floor and wet. The hotel wouldn't refund us and basically said, "Tough luck. Sorry," and that they make commission off out booking through this site. Booking.com had the hotel up with 4 star ratings and great pictures and put up a front that this is a "great hotel" to stay at.

When I put my complaint in about the property that THEY were advertising, they contacted me a week and stated that they could help me get at least a partial refund or all of it and if they had to the hotel would be in trouble. They sent me confirmation emails stating all of this and that it would be handled in 24 hours, all to turn around in 2 days and say "sorry, but we can't help you get your money back, and we do apologize that you had a bad experience." What kind of company is this!! I have emailed them and called them asking for a supervisor several times with no luck, or no one who know what they are doing!! I would not, not will not recommend this site to ANYBODY that I know who is going to travel in the near future, they are a scam and all want money!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We used Booking.com for our 5 night stay in New York. 72 hours before we arrive we get an email telling us our hotel is cancelled due to an invalid credit card. We phoned the credit card company only to be told our card was perfectly fine, in fact there was no attempt by the hotel to use the card. I will never use Booking.com or the Best Western Hotel Group ever and I would suggest to anyone reading this - think twice before using these cowboys.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I made a reservation this morning, December 1, for this evening through tomorrow morning, December 2. I'm very detail oriented, and made sure to triple check all of my entries throughout the process. When I checked my email for the confirmation, the dates listed were December 11-December 12. I immediately called customer service, at which time they said they could move the reservation to the dates I selected, but the price would be nearly double, even though the website has rooms listed at the initial price. So essentially I still had to pay for both of the nights in the end, and they didn't help me whatsoever. I'll never book through this website again, and I don't recommend anyone else use it either.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I had booked over 2 months in advance, via Booking.com, a single room at Hotel Cozy Inn, Bangkok, from 21st Nov'18 to 30th Nov'18, which was confirmed by the hotel, however about 3 days prior arrival Bangkok, the hotel requested me via booking.com to cancel the room. However booking.com clearly stated in their mail to me, to ignore cancellation if I was not in agreement. Booking another hotel at the last minute, would have cost me steep additional expenses. When I arrived at the Hotel, I was told by Hotel Cozy Inn reception, that my room was cancelled. This was a rude shock.

After much pleading they provided an alternative hotel, but the room was not up to my satisfaction, but I had no choice but accept same, rather than be stranded. I complained to Booking.com of the incident, via two emails, but they did not bother to reply back, Instead of taking up the matter with the hotel, they are proposing future bookings. This is not ethical of the Hotel & even Booking.com. I hope Booking.com still gets an explanation from the hotel, who apparently sold the room for higher rates, due heavy demand. They should take strict action against the hotel. Booking.com owes me an explanation.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Our hotel was awful so we left early. Front desk of the hotel states they'll give us a refund. Front desk also sent us an email on their company letterhead stating we need our money back. We send this documentation to Booking.com. We get one email, then NOTHING. Customer Service doesn't care about responding to you. Even though we have PROOF that we need our money back, they are still taking their time doing it. Needless to say, I'm going on six months trying to get my money back. We're never going to use them again.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

As a host I can say that I have found this company hopeless!! I had 3-holiday apartments listed with Booking.com and have been listed with them for several years. Never again will I list with Booking.com or work with them. They charge excessive commission, their service is lousy and don't collect payments in our area. My worst gripe has been the frequent cancellations and no-shows. Because no payment is collected by Booking.com it means I have lost revenue and wasted time preparing the apartments. Last week alone we had 3 no-shows all via Booking.com. All the other listing sites we work with are far superior to Booking.com. Airbnb has been fantastic to work with. Home and Away is another very good company to work with. I have dumped my association with Booking.com and have zero regrets about that and wish I had done so years ago.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Booking.com is the absolute WORST booking site to choose to reserve a hotel. I reserved a hotel room, but meant to cancel the room, however I did not. When I called Booking.com, they basically said that this was not their problem and didn't help me. I was not aware of the cancellation fee or the details of not canceling a room. The details and stipulations of reservations are NOT made clear and if something happens and you don't correctly cancel your reservation, you will be charged the whole amount, BY BOOKING.COM NOT THE HOTEL, instead of only being charged a cancellation fee.

Also, booking.com is supposed to send emails, but they end up in your Spam/Junk mail instead of your inbox. They are NOT helpful when you call as they don't help you try to get your money back if that situation occurs. This is the most unsatisfying experience I have ever had with any kind of travel agency or booking site. I will definitely make sure to tell all of my friends and relatives to NEVER use this site to book a place.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We made a reservation 6 months in advance for a stay at an all inclusive resort in Baja Mexico for a Christmas vacation that included two rooms, one for us and one for our 3 adult children. Three weeks before our planned trip Booking.com canceled our reservation leaving us holding thousands of dollars of non-refundable flight tickets. After 6 months they said they emailed us 2 weeks before cancellation that our credit card could not be authorized. This was actually true since the credit card we booked the trip with originally with was compromised, a common thing these days, and a new card issued by our CC company. The problem is we never received any email notifying us of the problem or a phone call, just a cancellation notice. We could of re-booked at the current rate, a minor $5,000 increase! This company must be a small operation operating out of some garage, stay away at all costs!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I am a vacation rental owner. Booking.com was supposed to collect payment from guests for 3 different reservations. The guests have already stayed, now I'm being told that I was supposed to collect the money. I never had any access to their credit card info. This is a shady company that now owes me $3500 and they keep blaming it on me.

Here's my question to Booking.com: If I am supposed to collect the money for this property, then why did you collect the money for one of the reservations I got and pay me, but you aren't collecting on these last 3? That makes no sense. I have emails between me and my representative (who won't return my calls) saying that you are the ones that collect the $. I have screenshots that clearly say that I don't have access to the credit card data. Are you going to do anything about it?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I booked a room for a trip to Italy through booking.com. Couple of months after making reservation received an email to "update" my credit card info, which the property had already received when I made reservation. Called and updated all info with booking.com and the agent told me my reservation was fine. After my trip commenced, got another email threatening to cancel my booking if I didn't provide updated credit card info. Replied to the email with another credit card just in case there was a problem with the first one.

Had been using this card already in Europe so I knew the card was fine. The day we were supposed to arrive at the hotel I received an email canceling our reservation. I tried to rebook the property which, by the way, was Near it All in Pisa, Italy. Could not reserve as the hotel was full. Seems like they had overbooked and were looking to get rid of existing reservations. Booking.com was completely unhelpful. I will never use this company again. The stress and frustration of needing to change reservations at the last minute before getting on the train to arrive in Pisa was ridiculous and unnecessary. Extremely unprofessional and unhelpful. AVOID BOOKING.COM AND "NEAR IT ALL," PISA, ITALY!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was booking directly to hotel website and found that there is no option for cancellation. I checked with Booking.com and found that I got the option @ 60 dollars more. I booked and immediately received email from hotel that I have only 24 hours to cancel else my full money will be charged and I will have no option than to visit or waste my entire money. I called hotel and Booking.com more than 20 times and no one was giving me the right answer. Later hotel updated me that Booking.com don't want to refund you or ask them for the conference call which finally I asked for and within 10 mins I got the email for full refund. Seriously you need to grow up and give respect to the customer time. It's so annoying and I will never ever take chance with Booking.com.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Booking fees and "extra" charges are not explained on this site, nor are they itemized until you have paid in full and receive a confirmation email from the property management company. It was explained to me that the amount charged ($170.00 for the "booking fee" alone) was paid because Booking.com gets a percentage of the property rental. Seems like bad business that the renter is paying the profit. Shouldn't the property owners be paying the "profit fee" for using Booking.com? And the hidden fees from the property owners are never explained when using this site to book a rental (home, hotel or otherwise). It's when you hit confirm, put in your credit info and receive that confirmation email that you learn just how much "Extra" is charged. For us it was close to $300.00.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

This has to be the sorriest company I have had the experience of dealing with, they canceled my reservations and so I had to rush and find something else, of course everything was higher, I contacted them and told them this, they assured me they would refund the difference. After 7 separate calls, managers that promised to call, that never did, assured the case was escalated 3 separate times, of course I have seen a dime, it has been over 3 months now, I am in the process of contacting my local tv station, I want them exposed for what they are. 5 SEPARATE CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE ALSO, I HAVE KEPT ALL E-MAILS AND NAMES. This company is a joke and flat stole my money.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I booked Furnished apartment in Dubai. I received a message that the booking did not go through as credit card declined. Immediately, I directly emailed the property agents to resolve the issue. No response. Since, then have called Booking.com thrice, made international phone calls and put hrs of time discussing the issue. They said no issue the booking will remain as non-refundable. The next day I receive a message, booking has been cancelled. Also, on the website the property has increased the pricing more than 2 folds. Summary: 1) I missed booking other properties because of this deal and now pricing for other properties have gone up. A financial loss for me. 2) My money and time is wasted on phone calls to Booking.com and property. DO NOT USE BOOKING.COM as they can't be trusted.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I travel to Kathmandu in Nov 2018. Booked and made payment after review Booking.com hotel wish list. Disappointed when dock hotel, they saying no booking go to them and reject my stay, but payment had charged. Though issue resolved after a long checking and go through unpleasant encounterment. The hotel Kathmandu resort room condition is actually bad and not as per review shown. They gave a room that's dirty, like 100 years never clean. No facilities, no hairdryer, all are no. It just an empty room, with the bed of mites.

In Booking.com it shows this hotel with good photos and review, and they remove my opportunity to review instead. And Booking.com feedback, they cannot assist anything and not accept complaints etc. With this, I do not think anyone should trust Booking.com. As travelers, hotel is like a home. We wish we could have a good rest after a long journey. This is real disappointment. The media we rely on is the one not trustworthy.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I booked a hotel through Booking.com. During the booking process, without notifying us, they switched our booking dates to a different month. Before paying I noticed the switch and went through the process of correcting the dates. I proceeded to checkout verified the dates again and paid. Confirmation arrived by email and showed the dates had been set again to a different month. Immediately called Booking.com to correct the dates. Was put on hold for 20 minutes. They offered to rebook my family on the correct date for more than double the initial price. Instead we opted to cancel entirely and take a $25 credit they offered us.

We went back online and rebooked but the best price showing had gone up 50%. It is well established that this company and others use cookies to track users and then manipulate prices based on the user web history and demographics. I have no doubt the illegal bait and switch tactic we were subjected to is an unscrupulous tactic of Booking.com. They have done this maneuver to us 2 times now. Even with the credit Booking.com is supposedly giving us, the price we ended up paying for a hotel is higher than the price originally quoted to us by Booking.com. This is a dishonest company using illegal business tactics.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I booked a serviced apartment in Tokyo for 18-22 Oct 19. It has been confirmed by the Booking.com + credit card secured. However, 2 days after confirmation, the Booking.com staff by the name 'Will' told me that they are now will cancel my confirmed reservation booking due to they forgot and yet to register for the rugby team coming for Rugby World Cup in Tokyo on same date (that eventually nothing to do with me). My conclusion, Booking.com is TRULY USELESS accommodation reservation company. If they can simply cancel my booking unnecessarily due to their fault and carelessness, they also consistently do to anyone including whoever you are. Please do not deal with Booking.com from now and onward.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Nov. 4 & 5, St. Malo France. On the ferry we called the contact for the rental in St. Malo at 7:08 p.m. She seemed unable to understand the English that we speak re: arrival time. In a second call, she said to call when we arrived in front of the building, and we did. She started saying our arrival time was "unacceptable." She finally showed up at the building and the trouble began. We were supposed to have 300 E cash for the damage deposit (always read the fine print!) even though we had paid in full for the place well in advance. Having just disembarked the ferry from England, we didn't have that amount of cash in Euros, so we asked where to find a bank or ATM or how to resolve the problem such as providing the cash the next day.

In answer to the question she said she looks after 20 properties and this has never happened and she literally switched off the lights (slapping the switches) and threw us out on the street in a strange city after dark. She presented no ID, was wearing no ID and did not introduce herself. There was no indication who she works for other than she did have the keys to the place. We discovered a bank within a 5-minute walk of the location and could have easily got the Euros. She is definitely not in the hospitality business.

It was after dark. We knocked on doors on the street and got a place at a nearby hotel. Contacted Booking.com to resolve. They said we broke the contract by not presenting the cash damage deposit and have listed us as a "no show." There were four of us. We showed. We tried to reason with the woman who brought the keys. She got in a car and drove away. NEVER, NEVER book this kind of accommodation through Booking.com. They claim to be a booking agent only and take no responsibility for having screened the places or service providers. And they would not provide contact info so we could talk directly with the owners.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I booked Bridlewood Home in Calgary through Booking.com. While I was at the airport I received that the booking got canceled. The owner of the home informed that someone else booked the same room through Airbnb and paid advance. Response from Booking.com was pretty useless and disgusting. In my booking page Booking.com mentioned the booking as "no show" which is not the true statement. I was planning to post a blister review for Bridlewood Home but could not do so because of "no show status." I believe the review of the hotels in Booking.com itself is useless and waste of time unless all the people who booked hotels or houses are allowed to write review. In my case both Booking.com and Bridlewood Home both are responsible for bad service.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We were going to stay at the Extended Stay Dallas TX. The hotel was disgusting. Left 10 minutes after check in. Booking.com did nothing to help us get our money back. They had all the proof we stayed at different hotel, but still sided with the owner saying that we stayed until check out time. We send them a paid invoice from the hotel we stayed at, phone bill showing we called nearby hotels right after checking in at Extended Stay. We even called and emailed Booking.com after we got to the new hotel, but they had a nerve to say that disputing a charge after check out is impossible. Well, we won't be booking anything thru Booking.com and I'll make sure none of my friends or family do. Stay away. Also, the Extended Stay Dallas TX is rated at 4 stars at their website, whereas other sites are 1.8. What a scam!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Booked with booking.com and tried to cancel with 10 mins of booking, was advised a full fee would be charged for canceling, no answer on phone, unwilling to cancel. Clearly money is the only thing they focus on. Won't be using again or any company owned by them. Descriptions are usually inaccurate but it seems this is ok from them.

Booking.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Booking.com is an Amsterdam-based company founded in 1996. Unlike most travel companies, it focuses exclusively on helping travelers reserve rooms.

• Free cancellations: Booking.com offers free cancellation services for most rooms.

• Daily deals: New deals are added to the website every day.

• Verified reviews: Booking.com has over 81 million reviews written by travelers who have used the website to make room reservations.

• Apartment rentals: Booking.com can reserve short-term apartment rentals as well as rooms at hotels and resorts.

• Hostels: Travelers can use the site to find hostels in their destination cities.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs