Doylestown, PA

1.0/5 (66 ratings)

About CheapCaribbean.com

CheapCaribbean.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CheapCaribbean.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about CheapCaribbean.com?

Original review: June 14, 2022

We booked a trip to Puerto Vallarta 4 months before we were hit with the pandemic. We called them and asked them for a refund. And they told me that we can get a voucher and use it at a later date...By the way we had another trip schedule for November of the same year to South America ...With upgraded seats...The airline for South America returned our money and even the upgraded seats..And Cheap Caribbean didn't...Now that for the past 3 months I have been trying to book again using my credits for Cabo. It turned out that they cannot because the airline which is what they reserve does not allow baggage...Just a small backpack...This I was never notified of because I would of paid the extra if I had to or never booked with them...I would of done individually airline and hotel...

Now I am asking for an extension and since I have until 6/30/22 I have to take within the next 2 weeks and pay full amount for air...So far no resolution for this...They took the $1300...That I paid...And they will not do anything...For everyone that reads this do not book anything with these people they are... Bogus..And very poor in their promises...Do not book with them...

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: June 3, 2022

We booked this trip through CheapCaribbean in January for Sandos Caracol Eco Resort in Playa Del Carmen, five months before the departure date. My friend and I were so excited to take our first international vacation together. We planned, shopped for, and talked about this vacation non-stop. I don't think disappointment would even be an appropriate enough way to describe how we felt our entire stay.

To start, and quite possibly the worst part of the experience, the food. INEDIBLE. I have been on plenty of all inclusive vacations. I know the food is usually ok, but nothing too spectacular. I always go to an all inclusive resort with a realistic expectation on the food not being the best. But I have always been able to find options that I am completely satisfied with. I am astounded that they would serve such poor quality and poor tasting food. The meats always looked like a mystery. The ones we were brave enough to try, we could not even distinguish what animal the meat came from or the texture or flavor was so bad that we could not eat more. My friend and I are not picky eaters. One of the things we enjoy most about traveling together is trying different food. How a resort in Mexico can have little to no Mexican food options, I will never understand.

The 1 Mexican restaurant that is on site should not even be classified as Mexican food. It was cold, bland, grey, and the meats were always weird textures. And that's how the food was at every restaurant and buffet. We had to order food from outside the resort twice for dinner and left the resort to have food in town for lunch too. We should not have to leave the resort or order food just to be able to get something decent to eat, so that we do not make ourselves physically ill from either eating the food at Sandos, or not eating at all.

The alcoholic drinks were equally bad. Despite our many efforts, we did not feel buzzed, drunk, tipsy, or even the slightest bit relaxed like you feel when you drink alcohol. We did not taste alcohol, period. The "alcohol" is either so watered down that it is practically water, or it's actually just water. One of the things that excited me the most was reading the food and drink menus online for the resort. The drinks sounded so exotic and delicious. Every single thing I tried that wasn't a beer was so unbearably sweet, syrupy, and artificial tasting. Everything fruit based tasted like it had a lot of artificial sweetener in it. They also do not clean the reusable plastic cups very well, because they always felt sticky.

The room was not what I was expecting for the Select Club, which we paid more to be in. I can't imagine what the regular rooms are like, if this is what we got for paying extra. The floors were filthy (just walking from the shower to the bedroom barefoot would turn my feet dark and dirty. There were also lots of ants in our room. Our balcony door would not lock and we were told that if we had any food in the room to be careful because monkeys can open the door and will come in to steal food. We were in a building near the adults only pool and every time we walked around the bend to get to our building, all we could smell was a raw sewage smell. It was revolting.

The Select Club was a scam. We paid extra so that we could enjoy adults only perks. The beach and pool mainly. The adults only pool and beach was filled with kids, and no monitoring. So what exactly did we get charged more to be in adults only for? It's really unacceptable. The beach is next. Massive, massive amounts of seaweed covering the shoreline and in the water. If you want to get to the clear (not really clear like I was expecting, but as clear as it could get there I guess) water, you have to wade through tons of seaweed first. Which also makes the beach smell bad. While I can understand and appreciate that this is something that is typical to happen in Mexico this time of year, we had no knowledge of this and would have likely scheduled the trip for a different month if we knew.

It would have been nice to have that disclosure prior to booking, considering we learned that this was not a 1 time phenomenon and it happens every year around this time. During the Royal Elite timeshare pitch, our rep suggested that we visit the sister resort, Sandos Playacar, that is 5 stars. We paid $42 for the taxi roundtrip (literally 5 minutes away) only to experience the same gross beach covered in seaweed and the adults only sections being inundated with children. The food was equally as bad/inedible. So what was 5 stars? The only positive I can say is that at least Sandos Playacar attempts to take care of the seaweed problem by having a beach plow driving up and down and having employees use rakes to move the seaweed.

The night life was another issue. Because there was no night life. There was a nightly show at 8pm. It would be over by 9pm. There would be another hour of the same dj'ed music every night. By 10pm, the entire resort is dead. No energy, no excitement. No dance club on site. I've never been to a resort that had nothing going on at night. So we would go back to the room and put the tv on, only to be disappointed that there are approximately 5 channels available.

One of the most triggering situations is the fact that there are non-stop people violating your personal space and approaching you to sell something. Whether it be a massage, excursion, hair braiding, photos...it never ended. Outside vendors selling things is something typical to Mexico and the Caribbean, but this was on another level. I'm not even sure if the vendors were 3rd party, or working for the resort. Either way, it was completely aggressive, disruptive, and it was happening about 30-50 times a day. Even if you're laying on the beach taking a nap, they will wake you up and ask you to buy whatever they have. This was even happening in the pool, while we were inside the pool.

Someone literally hovered above us at the edge of the pool and tried selling us something. Does that sound like an enjoyable experience? To be relentlessly harassed and followed around and have people begging you to buy from them and not taking no for an answer? The demanding sales people did not stop when you told them no either. You would have to say no 4 or 5 times before they would leave you alone. It made me dread leaving the room to even walk around the resort daily or to go to the beach or pool.

The Royal Elite scam is something I also need to discuss. They ask you to be part of a sales pitch to buy a timeshare, which they keep insisting is not a timeshare. They promise all these free things in order to lure you in and offer to only take 90 mins of your time and that it will take place over breakfast. So we show up for our presentation and are taken to the same gross buffet that's available to everyone. No special breakfast, and certainly not offered anything that the Royal Elite members would receive.

We were rushed to eat and get out of breakfast, but the sales pitch was long and drawn out. We were told that the food and drink quality is way better for Royal Elite members. Two things: 1. Why wouldn't the sales presentation include a meal from the Royal Elite exclusive restaurant so that you can actually experience the better quality? and 2. So, there's better quality food available and they are choosing to purposely feed people the same quality of food as prison slop? I am fully confident that the food in the Royal Elite section is the same garbage they're feeding everyone at the resort.

I have been reaching out to Cheap Caribbean every day since returning home, but they do not respond to emails or call people back. I would not have booked this trip if Cheap Caribbean was honest and disclosed what we would actually experience and what we should expect. We were bamboozled into thinking this was a 4 star resort, when it absolutely is not.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 2, 2022

We have booked several vacations with Cheap Caribbean over the last 6-7 years. Previously we had no issues but this round has been highly frustrating. Purchased a trip to a resort that advertised free use of partner resort with water park (ours did not have water park, and the one with waterpark had no reservations available). This was entire reason we purchased this as we have kids, and the water park is our go-to.

About 3 months after purchasing and well before our trip, I happened to go to the actual website of the hotels, only to find out that the water park has planned renovation for 5 months, during which our trip is planned. Nonetheless, CheapCaribbean STILL says complimentary use of water park. I spent 30 minutes on chat and over an hour on the phone requesting to cancel my trip, as the water park was the main attraction for us. I explained in detail that FALSE ADVERTISING is the reason for our cancellation. This is not an error that we made or our own need to cancel, we simply bought something that is not going to deliver as advertised. We were told that we can cancel but it will use/void our trip insurance, which will not be refunded to us and we will only get a travel credit, not an actual refund.

I repeatedly explained that this was through no fault of our own and requested a supervisor but the agent delayed and made every attempt to keep me from talking to one, even said she talked to one for me and was told there is nothing they would do. I was offered a resort with no beach instead. I continued to request a supervisor, but was told it would be 20-30 minutes because they were helping other customers, then after waiting about 15 minutes was told that none of the supervisors were willing to talk to me because they would not change anything. I will NEVER purchase a trip through this company again.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 27, 2022

Bought and paid 4 months in advance, arrived at airport only to find out they had no flights that day. All money went thru Cheap Caribbean, airline refunded to Cheap Caribbean, but Cheap Caribbean will not refund to us, completely scammed. Never took our vacation, what a mess.... THIS COMPANY SUCKS!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 22, 2022

Just recently used this travel agency for our trip to Jamaica and we are highly disappointed with the lack of customer service. Our flight was delayed due to mechanical issues with our plane and it caused us to miss our connecting flight to Jamaica. We tried calling CheapCaribbean and could not get through to anyone after being on hold for almost an hour. We then decided to send an email to see if we could get help that way, but kept getting pointless emails that were of no help. We ended up getting stuck in Miami for the night and lost an entire day in Jamaica. The airline was able to get us a flight out of Dallas to Miami the same day thankfully and paid for our hotel and food, but Cheap Caribbean was nowhere to be found.

We decided to contact Cheap Caribbean's "During Travel" department once again to see if they could add an additional day onto our trip (which the resort approved), but once again they were nowhere to be found. After several pointless emails from Cheap Caribbean. Thankfully, the hotel was able to provide us an additional night and the airline was able to adjust our flight to accommodate us. Cheap Caribbean, you guys really dropped ball this time. This trip was for our renewal of our wedding vows as well as our honeymoon. Never again!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 4, 2022

My friends and I purchased a trip to Dominican Republic for a higher price from my other friends because we didn’t want to miss out and a week later the price was $200 lower per person. When I called to ask them to price match they said they would charge $100 per person and give me a credit for future travel because all sales are final even though the trip is 2 months away, this is my first and last time using them.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 2, 2022

We booked an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica. We got there, and they had almost nothing. We contacted CC and rebooked to a new resort. 10 weeks later, we are still awaiting a response. When we had to rebook, they assured me, repeatedly, that we would receive (at a minimum) a credit for the resort that we left. We haven't received anything, and their "customer care" organization is non-responsive to a point that I've never experienced before. I've used CC in the past and had okay experiences; after this, I won't ever book with them again. I'd rather book myself and pay more, or book through another third party/travel agency than to deal with this sham of a company that can't seem to resolve ANYTHING.

Original review: April 19, 2022

DON'T DO IT! Whatever convenience you think they offer will be drowned in being left alone to deal with anything... They refused to help me in a simple name correction.. stated 'no name changes'... Demanded I pay 'correction fees' (I confirmed with the airline that it wasn't chargeable.. but they couldn't correct it because the name was entered via Cheap ** Caribbean). If I didn't pay I stood to lose $2k in travel.. I got ALL my money back via an AMEX dispute.. EF U CheapCarib.

Original review: April 18, 2022

We have booked five trips with Cheap Caribbean. Our travel voucher expired in December. We were able to use a flight credit but unable to use our travel credit. In April I get an email stating it had been extended until June. With both of us working full time we are not able to use it. When we booked these trips, we booked with two other couples. We spent a lot of money with this company and it will be our last. I hope they enjoy the approx $2900.00 they stole. We will never use them again.

Original review: April 6, 2022

NEVER EVER AGAIN WILL I USE CHEAP CARIBBEAN. Our original trip had to be cancelled due to COVID spikes. I have spent countless hours on the phone with the agents rescheduling (4 + hours at a time). Today I spent 5 hours (had phone, text, and live chat all going - all three representatives giving different information). We are scheduled to leave on our trip next Thursday. Yesterday we received an email that we owe $500 more by today at 5 pm otherwise our trip is cancelled, and we forfeit the $3k we have already spent. After 5 hours on the phone today, no one can tell me why I owe this additional money, and I can escalate to a Quality Review call, however, in order for my vacation to not be cancelled I have to pay this. IF I win after the Quality Review call then they will refund me my money. DON'T EVER USE THIS COMPANY!!!

CheapCaribbean.com Company Information