3.9/5 (647 ratings)

About Orbitz

Orbitz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

A disgraceful company with very shady business practices. Rented a car through Orbitz and paid $270. Picked up the car and they added in other insurances that more than doubled the cost. When I spotted it, I reached out and asked that they be removed (I was happy to pay for them to that point as I hadn't spotted them earlier). They mislead me on how to rectify it and accept no responsibility. Beware these charlatans!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

I booked my flight through Orbitz for 1st April 2021. The airline canceled the flight due to COVID and I received the email to either get flight credit or full refund. I opted for full refund but never received it. I have been contacting Orbitz since April 2021, but haven't received my refund till now (Aug 2022). Also, every time I call customer service, I had to explain the whole situation again and again. They promise me to provide the resolution in next 72 hours, but I never received any email or call about the resolution.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

I booked a 5 day stay at the Island House for the first week of August. While there were no issues during my stay I would like to make future guests aware of dishonest business practices. I booked my stay through Orbitz (owned by Expedia) and paid extra for free booking cancellation/modification. For personal reasons I needed to amend my booking to arrive a day later than originally planned. I called Orbitz within the free cancellation period and was given confirmation by the customer service agent that my booking would be amended with no fees. Upon arriving at Island House on the new arrival date, I was subsequently made aware by management that my cancellation request was denied and I would be charged for the night that I was not there. I was not given a valid reason why the amendment was not made, despite Orbitz confirming it had been.

Whether the blame is to be held with Orbitz or Island House is of no significance. To be charged nearly C$1000 for a night that I was not at the hotel, and having made the amendment within the free cancellation period and accordance with their policy, is not only entirely unjust but is an instance of two companies acting dishonest. This not what I would expect from businesses that each 'score competency is guest experience. I would not recommend using Orbitz or Island House to future guests.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

The Orbitz website does not indicate ANYWHERE that their prices are in USD. Not on the main website. Not on the booking page. Not on the receipt. I am in Canada. I booked a hotel stay in Canada. It was not until I read my bank statement that I saw I was charged the exchange rate. When I contacted Orbitz for a refund The customer service rep tried to explain to me the prices are in USD and my bank is in CAD. I repeatedly told them I see that now but nowhere on their site does it say this. For 30 minutes this went back and forth. Until the customer service rep tried to tell me a dollar sign ($) means USD. I explained the dollar sign is used in Canada too!! (Actually over 20 countries use it.) The rep repeatedly told me a dollar sign ($) means USD. I repeatedly told him that was absurd. I've never seen or heard of a site with that system. I told him I need a refund and your site needs to be updated. Borderline false advertising.

After repeated requests for a refund and told several times it was non-refundable he finally suggested canceling my booking and "requesting" a refund from the hotel. So my hotel is canceled and he says the hotel might still deny the refund. Extremely disappointed. There was no fine print I missed. Myself and others read and re-read every booking step. His excuse of a dollar sign equalling USD blew my mind. $80CAD MORE for a 2 star hotel than if I had used ANY other travel site.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

Orbitz is full of crooks. It’s close to impossible to qualify for a refund and then when I did, they came up with ridiculous excuses on why they weren’t going to give it to me. My flight was canceled. I was on the phone with an incompetent agent for over 3 hours and at the end all she could come up with was I would be refunded. Then, after 2 months, I received an email that they couldn’t refund my flight due to not having the flight information anymore! Because it was canceled!!!! Once you book, even if you pay extra for insurance on your reservation, they will take your money and give you no other options for changes or cancellations. Do not use Orbitz for anything! The company should be in jail for stealing money!

Original review: June 29, 2022

Rented a car with sixth rental car with Orbitz. At arrival price doubled and orbitz refused to help. I never heard back from orbitz. Their suggestions was to cancel the car and would left me stranded in a foreign country with no transportations. Terrible customer service and they don’t care. Stay away from orbitz.

Original review: June 13, 2022

We purchased a hotel room and we paid for insurance in case we need to cancel it! We called back to cancel it 2 hours after booking and it's been 2 months 5 days to check in and although we already have an open claim with the insurance and the insurance said we can get our money from Orbitz a month ago but Orbitz has been super ignorant! Last time I called customer service told me everything was resolved and we will get our refund in 3-5 days(10 days ago) and right now I'm on the phone and the customer service says it's not refundable! We should have booked with another company! Orbitz is not honest at all! We've been going through so much stress right before our vacation because Orbitz doesn't do its job!!!

Original review: May 24, 2022

Upon arriving at the hotel in Monterey we found that it in no way met the descriptions given on the Orbitz listing. In fact, our impressions of the hotel interior, exterior, and surroundings were so bad that we decided to turn around and walk away from the place, even when knowing that we would lose our almost $900 payment. Luckily, we were able to get a nice room at a slightly lower cost at a nearby Mariott.

My complaints against Orbitz is that this hotel never should have been given anything close to the posted four-star rating. Also, after us having seen it and deciding to not check in at the hotel, Orbitz handled this as a general cancellation without allowing us to post a review to inform other travelers. We did contact Orbitz in an unsuccessful attempt to get at least some of our money back. This did not come as a surprise, since the refund policy had been clearly stated. However, it should be noted that Orbitz appears to not screen hotels for misleading posts.

Original review: May 15, 2022

I booked a flight for my mom from Atlanta to London. I had to cancel the flight and was issued a flight credit with KLM. Terms of use of this credit includes the fact that I have to 1yr to use the credit, the credit can only be used with KLM and all I needed to do was to access the credit, select my flight and apply the credit. So yesterday I tried booking the flight as directed. When I got to the checkout portion of the booking, there was no way to apply the credit. I called Orbitz and was given the run around for 3hrs! Ended with an excuse that the systems were not synced yet and I should try later. I called the next day and more run around.

I found a flight with the itinerary I wanted on Orbitz and KLM's site for $1771 but the agent and eventually the supervisor claimed they same itinerary was $2300 on their end and with my credit I will pay $1000. I was incensed. The same flight was showing $1771 on Orbitz and KLM and if they had only given me a chance to apply my credit at checkout the only out of pocket increase for me would have been approximately $500. Why would they quote a hight charge? The guy kept saying that's what KLM was giving them. So I asked for them to refund my money so I could just rebook and it was a flat no. So Orbitz is not only stealing my money, they won't let me use the credit on a flight as they promised when the credit was issued. Mind you, I spent another 3hrs with them making a total of 6hrs this weekend alone. This is a very horrible company to work with and I want my credit as promised.

Original review: May 13, 2022

So, we're having major issues with Orbitz - we had a flight cancelled, just cancelled, no alternatives, and now Orbitz is refusing to give us our refund of $3700. Five times they've said they would do it, or call us right back, but of course they never do. Now it's on to regulatory boards, the BBB and possible legal action against them. Their call center is in (I think) India, so you can forget anything that even remotely resembles customer service.

Orbitz author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

Orbitz Company Information