3.5/5 (238 ratings)

About Orbitz

Orbitz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: June 13, 2022

We purchased a hotel room and we paid for insurance in case we need to cancel it! We called back to cancel it 2 hours after booking and it's been 2 months 5 days to check in and although we already have an open claim with the insurance and the insurance said we can get our money from Orbitz a month ago but Orbitz has been super ignorant! Last time I called customer service told me everything was resolved and we will get our refund in 3-5 days(10 days ago) and right now I'm on the phone and the customer service says it's not refundable! We should have booked with another company! Orbitz is not honest at all! We've been going through so much stress right before our vacation because Orbitz doesn't do its job!!!

Original review: May 24, 2022

Upon arriving at the hotel in Monterey we found that it in no way met the descriptions given on the Orbitz listing. In fact, our impressions of the hotel interior, exterior, and surroundings were so bad that we decided to turn around and walk away from the place, even when knowing that we would lose our almost $900 payment. Luckily, we were able to get a nice room at a slightly lower cost at a nearby Mariott.

My complaints against Orbitz is that this hotel never should have been given anything close to the posted four-star rating. Also, after us having seen it and deciding to not check in at the hotel, Orbitz handled this as a general cancellation without allowing us to post a review to inform other travelers. We did contact Orbitz in an unsuccessful attempt to get at least some of our money back. This did not come as a surprise, since the refund policy had been clearly stated. However, it should be noted that Orbitz appears to not screen hotels for misleading posts.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2022

I booked a flight for my mom from Atlanta to London. I had to cancel the flight and was issued a flight credit with KLM. Terms of use of this credit includes the fact that I have to 1yr to use the credit, the credit can only be used with KLM and all I needed to do was to access the credit, select my flight and apply the credit. So yesterday I tried booking the flight as directed. When I got to the checkout portion of the booking, there was no way to apply the credit. I called Orbitz and was given the run around for 3hrs! Ended with an excuse that the systems were not synced yet and I should try later. I called the next day and more run around.

I found a flight with the itinerary I wanted on Orbitz and KLM's site for $1771 but the agent and eventually the supervisor claimed they same itinerary was $2300 on their end and with my credit I will pay $1000. I was incensed. The same flight was showing $1771 on Orbitz and KLM and if they had only given me a chance to apply my credit at checkout the only out of pocket increase for me would have been approximately $500. Why would they quote a hight charge? The guy kept saying that's what KLM was giving them. So I asked for them to refund my money so I could just rebook and it was a flat no. So Orbitz is not only stealing my money, they won't let me use the credit on a flight as they promised when the credit was issued. Mind you, I spent another 3hrs with them making a total of 6hrs this weekend alone. This is a very horrible company to work with and I want my credit as promised.

Original review: May 13, 2022

So, we're having major issues with Orbitz - we had a flight cancelled, just cancelled, no alternatives, and now Orbitz is refusing to give us our refund of $3700. Five times they've said they would do it, or call us right back, but of course they never do. Now it's on to regulatory boards, the BBB and possible legal action against them. Their call center is in (I think) India, so you can forget anything that even remotely resembles customer service.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Orbitz (Expedia Group) scams people. DO NOT USE ORBITZ!!! I have been trying to get the refund for the cancelled flight back in 2020 due to COVID 19. Since, their excuses and stories for why they can't refund me or validate a voucher have been changing. They first blamed the airline company, then they said the voucher has been expired (the voucher they issued was not usable hence I am still fighting for my money back). Now they tell me the airline directly refunded me already, which is not true because the airline company emailed me with a statement saying that they NEVER transfer a refund directly to customers because the price of a ticket fare for refunds, penalties or fees are calculated by travel agencies.

The last response from Orbitz I just received is to check in with my bank because that is the "best place to address my concern." People purchase tickets online with credit cards, not with bank transfers. Orbitz's agents must be hired and paid for being dumb or not caring at all for complicated matters. Why would I check with my bank? The airline company informed me last year that Orbitz collected the refund on Feb. 13, 2021 and Orbitz refuses to refund me or issue a voucher that I can use. E-Dreams (I also had another booking through E-Dreams in 2020) took my case seriously and refunded me 100% months ago whereas Orbitz has stolen my money and tells me to check in with my bank. Orbitz DOES NOT HELP THEIR CUSTOMERS. THEY ONLY SUCK MONEY OUT OF THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Original review: May 7, 2022

We rented a vehicle to drive to Houston, Texas. My husband was diagnosed with Cancer and we had to go to MD Anderson Cancer Center. We rented a car for an allotted amount of time. We finished with all of the doctors appointments a few days early. So when we returned it 2 days early, I asked for a refund for the unused time. We were denied and said no refunds would be allowed even when we returned it early. Terrible service! How can you charge for unused time. And especially when we could use that money towards our medical bills! I made multiple calls and even requested for a manager to return a call to me so I could speak with them about it all. I never received a call at all, even after calling multiple times. I would NOT rent from them!!

Original review: April 30, 2022

I never write reviews, but they should be shut down and they are a total scam. I booked a flight on the phone with one of their travel agents, who accidentally BOOKED ME ON THE WRONG FLIGHT. But hey, mistakes happen, and I called them back to correct the flight. I thankfully was able to get in touch with the same woman who made the mistake. She admitted her fault on the phone, booked me on the correct flight, and said I would get refunded the full amount for the flight that she accidentally booked. However, I never got the refund back in my account. I called again, I spoke to someone else who admitted their mistake, but said that I would only get flight credit, but NO REFUND. I then asked to speak to a manager, and they said I would have to wait 24 hours and they would call me. Of course, I never get a call. They scammed me out of money for a mistake that they made. If I had a lawyer on retainer, I would sue. DO NOT use this company.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I had a hotel coupon for a place in California for a trip I was suppose to take but Covid happened. I am only just starting to travel again and had remembered that I had this coupon so I logged onto the site and tried to make a reservation but the hotel no longer operates as a hotel. Orbitz initially said I could only use the coupon at that hotel (but the hotel website clearly says you can't book anything at that location). After a few more calls to Orbitz they finally said I could use the coupon towards another hotel but only in that city. I live in Michigan, the trip was for a music concert in California and I don't have plans to go there anytime soon. Rather than trying to work with me to use the coupon for a city that I am actually traveling to they have my money and lost a customer. Goodbye Orbitz.

Original review: April 16, 2022

More than a month ahead, I booked premium economy tickets to NYC -- including specific seats. I have it in writing. But I don't have those seats, it turns out, because Orbitz never confirmed the seats with the airline. Instead of the window and aisle that I booked, we'll be in 2 middle seats -- obviously not together. Orbitz is very apologetic -- and agrees that it's their fault -- but they're not prepared to do anything to remedy the situation. The lesson is clear: skip Orbitz and book directly with the airline.

Original review: April 14, 2022

Terrible experience when I was ready to fly one week before I found out that Airline cancelled my trip., I was looking for alternatives to fly, no successful., They refund my flight but not the Hotel because the Hotel and Orbitz policy… At the end I lost my money because the hotel refused to reimburse it

Orbitz author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

Orbitz Company Information