1.13/5

Looking for a travel site?

1059 Orbitz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I purchase 4 tickets to Dubai from SFO in August 2018. Right after getting confirmation of the flight booking I noticed my middle name was missing a letter. (This was my fault and should have double checked before committing to the purchase) None the less I needed assistance to get it corrected. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Orbitz trying to find the solution between them and Emirates Airlines to get the letter added. Thought it was fixed, but then received an email the next day saying that it was not processed correctly. Another 3 hours on the phone trying to fix it again. I was told that all was taken care of and the new ticket with name correction was submitted.

Fast Forward: It is now mid September and I get a notification in my iCal that my flight was canceled. No email or call, just the notification from my calendar. I called Emirates and the flight was indeed canceled because Orbitz did not submit the new itinerary to them. I spent another 3 hours on the phone with Orbitz (this is now 9 hours total) TO ADD 1 LETTER TO A NAME. I couldn’t hold anymore and was desperate to get this corrected as my trip was coming up and they still had to resolution. It was left up to me to provide them with a solution.

I canceled the reservation with Orbitz and asked them to refund the one ticket, I logged back in and bought another ticket (that was cheaper by $75) that kinda supplemented for the $50 they charged me for name correction that they never completed and never refunded me for. This took 3 min to complete in total and I really don’t understand why they couldn’t do that from the start instead of spending 9 hours doing whatever they were doing. My advice If you are trying to change a name on a ticket is to simply cancel your reservation with them and buy the ticket again. It will save you a lot of time and stress I assure you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I booked a flight and hotel package to New York with a full insurance package and was told it covers any changes and/or cancellation. After realizing I booked my wife's reservation in her married name with her passport still in her maiden name, I called to change. We also wanted to change our outgoing flight to an earlier departure as our daycare situation had become more favorable.

One change per person was covered by the insurance, which was fine. They changed my wife's name and then advised that she would have to pay today's price for the airfare, which of course had gone up substantially. When I advised I wanted to cancel the entire reservation (with cancellation insurance) I was told it only covers the hotel. Beware of this company. You get told one thing when you book, but what you actually get is entirely different.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

On 11/4 I booked a flight between Columbia, SC to Fayetteville, AR for 11/19. I went in an hour later and clicked Change Flight and booked another flight for the same day. It allowed me to do so and sent me an e-mail confirmation. Today (11/18) and check in e-mail for the flight I changed and the second flight I booked. When I called Orbitz and spoke with several people until I spoke with Monica, a manager. She said there was no record of me changing it and also said the flight I booked originally did not allow me to change it and didn't know how the website let me do it but then stated I would have to pay for both flights.

Now, I'll have to deal with my credit card company. My advice is to steer clear of these guys. It's better to go directly though the airline because the prices are the same and you are dealing directly with them. In fact, I did some research on prices they offer for various hotels and rental cars and there are no deals. They got one star because you can't give them none!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I booked a night at a B and B in Asheville through Orbitz. It said the owner/manager would contact me. 2 days later No contact made. I called their # and left a message. NO callback. Tried again. No callback. Called Orbitz. They called the "property manager" and received no callback...they said I would get a full refund. 2 weeks later... No refund. Called today. I was on hold for 25 minutes and was disconnected. Called back... I'm an hour and 7 minutes into this call. Not only am I out $170.00+ But I had to make another reservation. ORBITZ should be more attentive to complaints like this! I have 3 more reservations booked through them this upcoming month. I hope it goes better than this fiasco. Still haven't been reimbursed. Very disappointed. ***Stay away from historic home in Asheville!!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

They did not provide me with an accounting breakdown receipt. I wanted a receipt showing a breakdown of cost for flight, flight cancellation insurance cost, car rental, car rental insurance cost, taxes and fees. In addition to their lack of detail in providing a receipt, they also kept me on hold for over 45 minutes without answering my call. Very poor customer service. Their company is obviously understaffed. I do not recommend. Deal directly with the airline and car rental agency.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We admit to missing the email sent months ago about a flight change. We have to own that, but never did we receive any reminders about the change in flight or receive the usual email reminders that travelers get from airlines or other booking companies about the upcoming flight. I know for a fact that there is the capability for companies to track unopened emails in order to resend, but apparently it is not used by Orbitz.

Orbitz told us that missing the flight resulted in cancellation of all flights. We had conflicting information from the airline regarding acquiring tickets for the flights. The airline told us our tickets were NOT cancelled, but just needed verification from Orbitz. This was not the story from Orbitz so we basically had to start from scratch and spend hours on the phone. It was very frustrating, but to his credit, the third person we were able to get a hold of, "Jay" did stick with us and come back on the line every 20 minutes or so to let us know he was still working on getting us flights. Take note that this was not the norm for the other assistants and we were left with long periods of dead silence. We were using two phones and know for a fact that the first woman never got back to us despite taking our number "in case we are disconnected."

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Orbitz SUCKS, booked flight, hotel & car via Orbitz. Had a four night stay in Flagstaff A.Z @ Quality Inn. Had to leave after 2 days, the room was just dirty. Front desk told me to get refund from Orbitz. Just getting runaround from Orbitz. They said they paid hotel already. Hotel refuses to refund me. Informed manager will be back in 1 week??? What **. Orbitz basically told me I am screwed for the 2 days. Use Hotwire Or Hotels.com. Got really tired talking to third world rep from Orbitz whose English sucked also. 9/9/18.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

To summarize: received an acceptable rate for a car rental through Orbitz, to be picked up in Omaha. Once we were in Omaha and went to the Thrifty desk, cost was an additional $90 (??). Once we turned in the vehicle (on a holiday, no desk help), and got home, now Thrifty was nailing us for a "deposit" fee of $250!!! They've gotten the car back!!? Orbitz numbers are all B/S! Thrifty would not provide an answer on the deposit issue!? Orbitz stated rates are pure deception. Refrain from using Orbitz!!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

We booked a package vacation for a family of 3 for Round Trip flight from Sacramento to New York, including rent a car, and paid Insurance in case any unexpected events came up. Decided we wanted to change flight times and were not able to help us without penalties of $200pp so $600 added to our total amount already paid. I was very upset since confirmation Reservation never showed penalty fees.

They say United Airlines charges this fee and there’s no way around it. What a shame. We just want to change to later flight and would be charged an additional $300. What a rip off. Really more bad business practices since Orbitz or United Airlines never informed us of this change fee. And if we cancel they will also charge $200pp and we would only be able to get refund through voucher for future flight. I will never use Orbitz or United Airlines again. If I ever book a package deal I will deal directly with company to find out about all hidden fees they don’t inform you about in your Reservation Confirmation. First trip to New York and company could not change as a courtesy to a later flight without $600 charge.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I booked a flight and car rental through Orbitz in February 2018 for a vacation to Syracuse, New York from DFW, Texas in August 2018. I received my itinerary almost immediately, and made sure to not only print it, but also to copy the email, and also use the Orbitz app on my cell phone. Two days prior to my flight, I did a final check on my traveling plans and discovered that my itinerary, other than the dates, had totally changed and I did not receive any notification of these changes from Orbitz.

The airline had to make corrections, the car rental place stated that I should not have used a third party for reservations, there were multiple problems with that. Thankfully Enterprise got it straightened out & even went out of their way to make things better. The return flight schedule Orbitz set was so messed up that we had to take alternate flights. We didn't even know our seating, gate or anything until Delta helped us. I would NOT recommend Orbitz or ever use them again!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

On May 29th 2018 I booked two rooms on August 1st for a hotel on the Isle of Skye. On that same day we had to change our itinerary and cancelled the booking. We still got charged for one room on August 2nd. Although the cancellation email stated that rooms have to be cancelled separately this was not clear from the website. Orbitz refused a refund citing the wording of the cancellation note. Very deceptive. We will not be using Orbitz anymore.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Terrible experience with Orbitz and Payless Car Rental. Rented a van for 7 people on 8/4/18 with a confirmation number from both Orbitz and Payless Car Rental, the day I show up to pick up the car 8/19/18 at the airport - No one picked us up as stated on the confirmation. I looked up the contact information for Payless Car Rental from the Orbitz confirmation and their phone # was wrong!!! I had to pay a taxi to take me to the location and I was told that the car was not available!!! The rep kept telling me that Orbitz doesn’t contact them to check inventory and he denied having received the reservation...

After more than one hour back and forth and calling Orbitz — I had no way of getting back to airport to pick up my family so I ended up renting a smaller car for twice as much... so unfair, unethical, ruined our vacation because it was too late to find large vans at other rental places and we had to change our plans leaving a couple of family members out because they couldn’t fit... PLEASE DON'T TRUST ORTBIZ OR PAYLESS CAR RENTAL ANYWHERE YOU GO!!! They will let you down and you’ll end up paying twice as much.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

My family and I reserved a boathouse via Orbitz and arrived at the location, thinking all was well. However, much to our surprise, the owner was not expecting us and told us he had not posted a listing on Orbitz. Without a place to stay, we drove out another forty miles before finding an available hotel that wasn’t an online scam. Fortunately, we have received our chargeback, though we will never get back the time we wasted correcting this false transaction. tldr; This is a fraudulent service that pockets your money without making good on it. Don’t use Orbitz, unlike of course you enjoy being exploited and swindled.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Flew into Salt Lake City, Utah and reserved a car the day before. When I landed I literally received email: "We canceled your reservation no cars available." I had no other option because other agencies did not have a car. Had to Uber to my destination cost $300.00. NEVER EVER EVER USE ORBITZ. THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE INTERNET.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We made reservations for Nasta's B&B in Rome through Orbitz several months ago. Before our trip to Italy I printed the Orbitz confirmation information. When we showed up at the B&B we were told that the B&B had no record of our reservation and that rooms were not available. No support was given to find a new place to stay. While I tried to resolve the matter with Orbitz and our credit card company in the space used by the B&B using unsecured wifi our credit card information was hacked. I was on the phone on hold with Orbitz for 15 minutes using expensive international phone time. In the long run all Orbitz said was "Sorry." We received no help from them either. Now I have read that this sort of thing has happened with other people. Never again will I use Orbitz. Today, I am dealing with a dispute involving the Orbitz charge and the related fraudulent attempt to use our card at the same time with my credit card company.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I reserved a car of luxury class. When I got there the first time I was told they did not have the car on the lot and was offered a Hyundai for a different price which was more than what I had reserved the first car. So I left that day with no car. So I booked another car and came back the next day and was told again that they did not have the car again. Someone rented it out. I said how can you rent out a car that is reserved?

So I asked to speak with a manager and was told that is was not one there I could go to another rental agency and see if they would give me the same price for the car if they have it because he knew the girl there. Of course that did not happen so I missed my birthday trip out of town because I have no car. I will never use Orbitz and Fox Car Rental. They both suck. And their customer service ridiculous you can't get any supervisor or anybody on the phone to even make a complaint with. I have been sent one email saying they're sorry and they will contact me with a solution. Of course no response since.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Overall simple to use. I use Orbitz for all of my travel plans and the whole process was fairly easy. You can search multiple days for cheapest flights and getting extra services like wheelchairs and escort.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I would give 0 stars if I could! I cancelled my reservation within hours of booking because I realized that it was in USD not Canadian dollars. I've spent hours calling Orbitz and my credit card company. Orbitz said they released the funds the same day I made the cancellation, however 9 days later, they are still pending on my credit card and because they are pending, I'm unable to dispute nor use the credit card. I have called back to Orbitz with an authorization code they can call in to my bank to instantly remove the hold, they refuse to do it. Now, 9 days in, I'm still waiting for the refund and because it's stuck as pending, I'm unable to do anything and the funds are in limbo, meaning I can't book another flight either. Do yourself a favour and avoid this company.

Original review: July 17, 2018

The same thing that happened to Elaine of Sea Cliff, NY happened to me today. I called Orbitz today, because the first name on the reservation was misspelled, everything else was correct (last name, dob). They informed me that nothing could be done and basically that ticket would just not be usable by anyone. After calling the American Airlines to confirm this, they let me know that this was Orbitz's policy not there's but only Orbitz could change it. That if the seat remained unfilled American Airlines would not be paid for the seat and Orbitz would be able to keep the full funds that is why they do not allow changes to be made. They seek profit off of any potential errors even they could have caused.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Didn't do my usual due diligence and booked a flight with Orbitz, nowhere does the website say any changes must be made within 24 hours or you basically forfeit your money. I went back to the website (more than 24 hours later) and it gave me to option to change my reservation. As I was paying what I thought was a change fee, I realized I had purchased a whole new ticket with the same airline, and there was no way to cancel or even partially refund the old ticket. Orbitz claims their inability to change reservations is imposed by the airlines. This is not true, the airline would have changed it for free had I booked through them. Orbitz has decided to exclusively sell non-refundable tickets. Don't be duped, buy from the airline directly if possible.

Original review: July 14, 2018

We'd carefully planned a trip to Colorado and received a confirmation from Orbitz stating "No need to confirm, you're booked!" for our Durango VRBO. A few days before we were to stay there, I called the property manager to see if we were still on due to the wildfire near there. I was told we didn't have a reservation - they'd never heard of us or from Orbitz. I called Orbitz, after an hour I was assured I'd get a call within 24 hours to correct the problem. No call. I called them back, after about an hour of explaining and holding, I was told to call back first thing in the AM so they could contact the property management company, and inform me when I called.

I called the morning we were packing, getting the rental car and setting off for our trip. After hours of haggling, hassling, stressing - they told me I did NOT have a place to stay, but they'd find us a place - and WE'D be responsible for the price difference! NOT ACCEPTABLE. You do NOT screw up, and then stick your customer with the price difference. At the very least they should have admitted their mistake and offered enough or bucks to make up for the price difference - if not a free nights stay. My inquiries on their website have not been answered. They have become a horrible company since being purchased by Expedia. I will never use either company ever again!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Misleading on terms regarding hotels and flights and on fees and charges to customers. Example: it will say fee includes luggage/baggage yet it does not.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I booked plane tickets and a rental car through Orbitz. Two months later, someone got my credit card information and spent over 3000 dollars on the Orbitz website. Either someone at the company is stealing customer information, or, their website is not 100% secure. Thankfully my bank did an investigation and refunded the money to my credit card. Using this website to book travel is not worth the hassle of having to cancel your card and ending up on vacation without one. I would choose another booking site.

Original review: July 3, 2018

After I paid Orbitz their card was declined by Hampton. They had to use 2 different cards to get it. Yet I already paid Orbitz. Even called to check status. Orbitz card was declined so be careful is all I can say. I have an amputated leg & had to stand for 2 hrs at front desk because Hampton was not paid by Orbitz. My flight was fine & shuttle. Paid for all by Orbitz but their card was decline doing at the motel. Do I need to say more. They had my money but couldn't pay. BE VERY CAREFUL!

Original review: June 27, 2018

One part of my flight was cancelled by the airline. I called Orbitz since they are the ones that called me to make alternate arrangements. I received zero viable alternate arrangements and spent now 4+ hours dealing with this situation. I escalate this to 2 supervisors and even the Expedia corporate office. Not one single person was able to resolve the issue and continually directed me to speak with the airline. Don’t sell something you don’t plan to back for your customers. Don’t call me to communicate the issue with a cancelled flight if you’re incapable of actually resolving anything.

Allison ** of Expedia’s Executive Customer Relations Team felt the best solution in this situation was to read AND email me the “carriage policy”. By far the most condescending response I’ve ever received from customer service. Speaks volumes about how this company treats their customers and the respect they have for their time, money, and intelligence. At this point, it’s not about the cancelled flight. It’s their ineptitude at customer service. I will never do business with any Expedia affiliated company moving forward.

Original review: June 21, 2018

We traveled to Spain this past week. Our son became ill and we were unable move him, so we needed to stay in current location. We had reservation to stay in Barcelona at Leonardo Hotel for 2 days, which we would not be able to make due to circumstances. I cancelled the reservation via Orbitz online (2 days before arrival date and was notified afterwards of a cancellation fee of the entire stay visit ($750), including taxes and other fees. I was surprised by this. Our reservation paperwork did require 7 days notice for cancellation, which I was not aware of until time of cancellation.

Orbitz did nothing to get refund for this stay. The hotel said no, as well, with the reason being that it was peak season. Both the hotel and Orbitz let me down on this one. I have used Orbitz for over 10 yrs, but I will not use a service that doesn't make exceptions due to REAL circumstances (out of our control - life happens). Orbitz didn't disclose the cancellation policy requirement in a way that it was noticeable. Hotels cancellations are typically allowed until 24 hrs prior to check-in.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I purchased a non-refundable hotel stay thru Orbitz, the charge was $719.37, after $30 bucks applied. Still, a $20 daily fee was to be charged by the hotel. Sadly, there was an accident involving a member of my family and we had to cancel the trip. I reached directly the hotel to ask for at least a credit, because of the situation we were going through. I had access of my reservation thru the hotel website and for my surprise, the cost was $583.30 and it was payable at check in. The hotel approved the cancellation without penalty, and Orbitz insisted that they could not refund, because they couldn't confirm this information with the hotel. After a few email communications, and an angry phone call from my part, I finally received the refund.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Orbitz is of zero help after the sale. Missing baggage help with dealing with the airlines. Multiple flight delays - without compensation or the offer of compensation; zero help with dealing with the airlines for lost luggage. Assuming Orbitz is a customer service organization is incorrect. I will never use Orbitz again. Orbitz is good at collecting your money - and after the fact they are awful.

Original review: June 3, 2018

FIRST OFF -- no stars. Had to choose or could not post. About 10 days ago I made a flight from Odessa - Minneapolis to get my cancer treatment. Once again life has taken a bad turn and I no longer will be living in Odessa and I will be in OKC. Okay -- I BOUGHT AND PAID FOR TRIP INSURANCE for $48 through Orbitz. Last night in wee hours I called because I need to change ticket. I got Josh and May who either are not well trained and gave me misinformation and they are NOT American with competent English know how and understanding your questions.

HERE IS HOW BAD THEY CHEAT YOU OUT OF YOUR VERY OWN MONEY. 1- once you make your ticket your money is GONE--never retrievable - GONE! 2- You lose entire ticket price if you flat cancel even with flight insurance. 3 - If you find a cheaper new ticket with the paltry credit they supposedly refund - they again take away another $200 for the Carrier EVEN IF __ EVEN IF you stay on their airline. So basically they took $866 from me. Are taking another $200 cancellation fee. Are making ME contact the travel insurance insurer and prove with medical records that my trip is due to medical reason at which point THEY decide if I can have $200 refund or not...

If you're staying with me so far -- We can all assume 'Richard' from Zimbabwe is going to give me some dumb ** stipulation why I don't get my money back. So word to the uninformed. I am extremely smart. This ORBITZ is OUTLAW and horrible. The flight insurance has ZERO VALUE. Spend the extra $80 or whatever and deal ONLY THRU AIRLINE ITSELF. Expedia was reason I came to try Orbitz. They quoted a price, booked entire deal and then suddenly ticket was $350 higher with comment, "WE'RE SORRY - THAT PARTICULAR fare just increased." That is why I left Expedia site. You guys---screw these companies. They are crooks. Go straight through airline only.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Well I guess there had to be a say for Orbitz to gouge the consumer on airfare. I was a very enthusiastic user of Orbitz but today after I booked I found that Orbitz added a $45.00 "Booking Fee". Their explanation when I complained was that the fare I got was 'economy' and now they charge. If I had gone directly to Delta I would of course avoided this outrageous charge. So, my STRONGEST recommendation is to check out the fare on Orbitz and see if this "Booking Fee" would be charged and if so go to the airline to book directly and you will save the money. No need to trust these sites anymore - they found a way to get on the 'gravy train' of excess charges.

Orbitz expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

• Best for: Budget, domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs