1.10/5

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1074 Orbitz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Booked flights for 4 from North Carolina to Berlin Germany using Orbitz online site. Very happy with the choice and price. Went to bed satisfied. Next day I received a notice from Orbitz that there was a problem. Upon contacting them I learned that although they booked our flights and took our credit card info that they did not have an agreement between two of the airlines and couldn’t fulfill our request. Okay bad administrative actions but they promised to find an alternative.

They did, but the price went from $1300 per passenger to $4000 per passenger, so they asked “would you like to book these flights.” Ah... no. After nearly 5 hours of bouncing around the layers of so called customer service folks I just need the process. EXTREMELY POOR customer service. Prior to this experience I never used Orbitz for travel, now I know why. Never will I try again, and will share my experience often with as many as possible. Beware fellow travelers! Evidently not a well run operation. But not to worry, we found a better deal than Orbitz originally offered. Save yourself some time and skip Orbitz, they are lost in space.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

August 28th Booked/confirmed vacation for 4 people, 11.24.2018 to 12.2.2018 in Providenciales. Orbitz Itinerary # **. Outbound: Jet Bue on 11.24.2018

Return: December 2nd via American Airlines. Confirmation IPCT **American Airlines. August 30th: Received this email message from Orbitz. Flight changes have taken place. Your Flight Details have Changed. Orbitz.com Itinerary Number: **. American Airlines Confirmation Code: IPC **.

"Dear Orbitz.com Traveler, American Airlines has made the following change(s) to your itinerary: *Changed the departure date for 2 of your flights. *Changed the arrival date for 2 of your flights. *Changed the departure time for 1 of your flights. *Changed the arrival time for 1 of your flights. *Changed the flight number for 2 of your flights. *Changed the arrival airport for 1 of your flights. *Changed to co-terminal airports for 1 of your flights.

American Airlines changed to an out of state airport and shorten vacation duration from 7 days original return December 2nd, to returning on November 26th, 2 days! Original: Return December 2nd AA #879 PLS-CLT, AA#1923 CLT-BWI. AA Change: Return November 26th AA #879 PLS-CLT, AA#5095 CLT to IAD. August 30th Called Orbitz 1-844-663-2266 9:09 am Spent 89 minutes conversation following email change. Was informed AA won’t refund Economy class. Orbitz operator had me hold as she called into American to confirm and see what could be done. Recommendation from AA was to upgrade class of ticket from "Economy Fare". Then cancel and reuse tickets another time despite incurring what would be ~$150 ticket reissue fee per ticket. Might have been $200. Cost to upgrade 4 tickets and then have reissue cost would have exceeded $2000. I requested they cancel entire vacation.

Called August 30 10:41 am 8004337300 American 2 min. Called August 30 10:46 am 8004337300 American 4 min. Aug 30th 10:55 am Began canceling ALL vacation accommodations, rental home, JetBlue flight, transportation, trip insurance, tours, rental car, etc. Orbitz website gave repeated messages that they were experiencing a “glitch” when I tried to cancel American Airlines return leg. ALL other bookings could be cancelled on their site. 5 or more attempts made throughout workday with same reply message, "glitch".

August 30th 9:14 pm 18002199296 Orbitz 42 min. Spoke with agent after calling number from “glitch” message. August 30th 9:57 pm Orbitz 103 min Joe, Orbitz manager, said he would email after contacting AA. Joe said we “definitely are eligible for full refund” despite economy class because of AA changes. August 31st email received from Joe received claiming no refund due to economy class. American Airlines refuses refund despite multiple flight changes including state and date. Reducing vacation from 7 nights to 2 nights.

I have supporting emails that contain confirmations, changes, cancellations etc. There were numerous other calls which took place that I did not capture in the above summary. I have phone records and believe many of the phone calls I've had with American and Orbitz are recorded and can be obtained. November 8th American Airlines customer service call in response to letters sent their corporate office. They insist that Orbitz made this change and are responsible for the email stating flight change NOT American Airlines. They also insist that Orbitz has collected the funds and has the power to refund or credit my family.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had used Orbitz for about 3 years and everything was perfect. For some reason in the last year it's gone to crap. I haven't been able to book anything online and when I call the phone number to book over the phone the people are rude and cut you off while you're speaking. They won't just help you book what you ask for. They try to shove more things on you. Then the call "dropped" more than once. I had full service bars on my phone but gave them another chance and called again. After being on the phone for another 20 mins, the call "dropped" again right as I was trying to book. I will no longer be using Orbitz. The whole company has tried to expand too fast and is crap now.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I booked my flight ticket last night and the price was US $ 883.68 but my credit card was charged for US $ 1520.68. I called customer service and the guy named "Neil" checked the online price and agreed that the website price is $883.68. My case has been escalated to the next level and so far they are not willing to reimburse my money. Is this my problem that your website had some issues?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Booked travel on American Airlines through Orbitz to Santa Rosa California. Trip canceled due to wildfires in CA. Neither Orbitz or American Airlines would refund or credit any portion of my ticket. Out $218.00. Will never use either again and recommend you do the same.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Still haven't received a physical card. You can't go into your account without a card that has your account number on it. They are rude, unhelpful and transfer you multiple times to avoid helping. I've called three times to resolve issue and now my account is past due, but they won't send a card because my account is past due. But again - I can't get into my account without a card - I do not recommend using their services.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

My experience with Orbitz and The Westin were unimaginable! My brother died 2 days before our trip to Vegas and Orbitz nor The Westin would refund our rooms even though I canceled two days prior to our stay the day my brother died! They didn’t even refund my brother’s room??? I sent over his death certificate and everything and they offered no recompense at all. Just told us that our rooms were non-refundable and that the death of the actual person staying wouldn’t qualify for a refund! I was completely surprised at how dismissive they were. I expected more from The Westin and Orbitz. Even if they didn’t want to refund us for all three rooms booked, a hotel credit would have been a nice gesture or refund my brother’s room at least since he definitely couldn’t use the room because he passed! I will never book through Orbitz again or stay at any Westin because of this incident!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We were booking a flight to LAX from Vancouver for three people and found an excellent price. We started the booking info on ourselves (both seniors), and just as my wife was clicking to 'buy' I noticed the price per person had doubled from $539 - to over $1000.00. It was too late to stop her and the charges went through my Amex card. We immediately phoned to cancel (24 hours allowed), which they did, and the fellow found us another flight at $600+, which was about what the others had been on Expedia. I am wondering if they have an algorithm that uses the birth date info to immediately double the fare in hopes the doddering old fool doesn't realize what happened until after the 24 hr cancellation period. DO NOT USE THIS SITE TO BOOK.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

This was my first time using Orbitz for flight reservations. I booked a family trip for several people. I called 2 hours later to buy two more flights and they didn't even have to be on the same flight or itinerary and they tried to charge me double. I told them no thanks and called JUSTFLY.COM and they got me 2 extra flights for less than I originally paid with Orbitz. I won't be using Orbitz again. They are just taking advantage and trying to rip people off.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I called the Orbitz customer care on Oct 6, 2018 to cancel a flight from Oakland to LAX on Oct 13, 2018. It’s because my sister was too sick to travel. I purchased the Travel Protection as well, just to be on the safe side just in case somebody couldn’t take the flight. Now, we spoke to Orbitz agent and asked to cancel the flight, since we bought the travel plan protection, we surely could get a full refund. The agent said it’s already canceled and wait for the refund within 5-7 bus days. After 3 weeks, we ain't got any refunds, so I called Orbitz customer care and spoke to their stupid most dumb agent. And asked why I didn't get my refund until now, they put me on hold and spoke to the dumb no brain supervisor. I told her what happened and she just told me their agent canceled the travel plan instead of the flight. Is she kidding me? That is not my fault, and she sounded like it was our fault. Where in fact, it was their dumb agents fault.

So I strongly demand full refund, and she strongly demand a medical document. I mean, if you're too sick to travel should you go to the hospital or a doctor just to ask for a medical document in order for you to get refunded? That is sick! A fever that is not life threatening at all. You could just stay in your bed and get well with no need to see a ** doctor. And they strongly demand for that. And that was the purpose of getting the travel plan protection. Travel plan should make your life easier as 1 2 3. They are selling you crap!!! Don't ever buy that ** travel plan. They will make your life **. It's a scam. And the supervisor? You suck!!! As a platinum member and an Orbitz Customer for a very long time, you never delivered a quality customer service. You don't know how to compromise and help us give solution to the problem, but instead of putting us more down and get us more aggravated. This would be the end of using Orbitz!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Who remembers when Orbitz was new, and it was great?! It's a distant memory now. I truly don't understand how this place is in business, I can only assume convenience and price in a world where airfare is skyrocketing. However, once you deal with the customer service team, you'd rather slice your face up with a dull, rusty spoon than hear them talk.

Oh, where do I start? Let's start with making a change: You have a better chance at ratifying the Constitution in shorter time. I'm convinced they keep you on hold for so long until the ticket you want it switched to is taken (this has happened to me). Their fees are utterly ridiculous, and I'm slightly concerned this scam in an allegedly consumer based, protected government (aka USA) is continuing. The only way to win is for everyone to stop using Orbitz - NOW.

The customer service reps, speak so incredibly slow, you want to pull your hair out, you want to ask if you're on Candid Camera and this is some boiling point joke, and some has-been, Class B actor is going to jump out and so "JK!" Nope, it's all real, and it's painfully horrifying. I would rather endure Chinese waterboard torture than have to deal with Orbitz. IF you read this comment, and still continue to book with them, well joke's on you. Consider this not a warning, but an actual look at the future for you if you use them.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I purchased a bargain fare knowing the rules of the deal. Before I processed the ticket, I confirmed that the flight time frame would be from 6 am to 10 pm clearly stated. Nothing else was indicated. After I completed the purchase I discovered the flight arrived at my destination the next day. That was never indicated on the page before I purchased the flight. Their customer service dept refused to help me and stated that the next day information was there. It was not!

In fact I have had two previous experiences where what I had on my screen did not match what they claimed they had and I had to send them screenshots of their misleading information. I regret that the screen showing the information I saw before making this purchase had already been deleted once I moved to the next phase of the purchase. Instead of helping me over a $350 ticket they chose to do nothing. After spending thousands of dollars a month with them, I will now also do nothing to support them and their affiliated companies such as Expedia and CheapTickets. They are misleading and non-supportive. Will never use them again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Orbitz is a complete rip off. I booked a round-trip ticket with them and without telling me they reserved two one-way fares, at an astronomical expense. I only found out when American Airlines contacted me. When I called Orbitz to try to change the reservation to round trip they refused. They also wouldn't let me cancel, saying that the fare was nonrefundable. And by the way, the tickets they sent me were printed in such a faint color that it was a major ordeal to print them so they were legible. All around, a terrible experience. Steer clear.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I booked a Round-Trip ticket from Philly to New Orleans in Oct, 2018 and when I received confirmation Email the trip became 1 way, I was only issued the ticket to NOLA. Orbitz only issued going tickets for me as they stick to charge for round-trip. I called to ask about this error and told them if that is the case, they need to give me a refund for my returning flight. They promised initially to investigate and conduct refund, they had 5 people talked to me asking details to cover/erase all the necessary tracks. In the end, the highest elevated manager told me a refund is not going to happen, and wasted 3 hrs of my time, I was also threaten as told there is no evidence to what I said. I was really screwed hard, be aware to use their website, always snip the last part of booking.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My friends and I were left at the Paris airport due to the 3 hours delayed from Barcelona to Paris so we missed our flight back to NY! The lady at the airport counter told us to contact our travel agency and walked away. I contacted Orbitz and as a platinum member I was being told that we have to pay another 850 per person if we want to come back home by one of Orbitz customer service representative. Horrible service, not recommended!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I purchase 4 tickets to Dubai from SFO in August 2018. Right after getting confirmation of the flight booking I noticed my middle name was missing a letter. (This was my fault and should have double checked before committing to the purchase) None the less I needed assistance to get it corrected. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Orbitz trying to find the solution between them and Emirates Airlines to get the letter added. Thought it was fixed, but then received an email the next day saying that it was not processed correctly. Another 3 hours on the phone trying to fix it again. I was told that all was taken care of and the new ticket with name correction was submitted.

Fast Forward: It is now mid September and I get a notification in my iCal that my flight was canceled. No email or call, just the notification from my calendar. I called Emirates and the flight was indeed canceled because Orbitz did not submit the new itinerary to them. I spent another 3 hours on the phone with Orbitz (this is now 9 hours total) TO ADD 1 LETTER TO A NAME. I couldn’t hold anymore and was desperate to get this corrected as my trip was coming up and they still had to resolution. It was left up to me to provide them with a solution.

I canceled the reservation with Orbitz and asked them to refund the one ticket, I logged back in and bought another ticket (that was cheaper by $75) that kinda supplemented for the $50 they charged me for name correction that they never completed and never refunded me for. This took 3 min to complete in total and I really don’t understand why they couldn’t do that from the start instead of spending 9 hours doing whatever they were doing. My advice If you are trying to change a name on a ticket is to simply cancel your reservation with them and buy the ticket again. It will save you a lot of time and stress I assure you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I booked a flight and hotel package to New York with a full insurance package and was told it covers any changes and/or cancellation. After realizing I booked my wife's reservation in her married name with her passport still in her maiden name, I called to change. We also wanted to change our outgoing flight to an earlier departure as our daycare situation had become more favorable.

One change per person was covered by the insurance, which was fine. They changed my wife's name and then advised that she would have to pay today's price for the airfare, which of course had gone up substantially. When I advised I wanted to cancel the entire reservation (with cancellation insurance) I was told it only covers the hotel. Beware of this company. You get told one thing when you book, but what you actually get is entirely different.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

On 11/4 I booked a flight between Columbia, SC to Fayetteville, AR for 11/19. I went in an hour later and clicked Change Flight and booked another flight for the same day. It allowed me to do so and sent me an e-mail confirmation. Today (11/18) and check in e-mail for the flight I changed and the second flight I booked. When I called Orbitz and spoke with several people until I spoke with Monica, a manager. She said there was no record of me changing it and also said the flight I booked originally did not allow me to change it and didn't know how the website let me do it but then stated I would have to pay for both flights.

Now, I'll have to deal with my credit card company. My advice is to steer clear of these guys. It's better to go directly though the airline because the prices are the same and you are dealing directly with them. In fact, I did some research on prices they offer for various hotels and rental cars and there are no deals. They got one star because you can't give them none!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I booked a night at a B and B in Asheville through Orbitz. It said the owner/manager would contact me. 2 days later No contact made. I called their # and left a message. NO callback. Tried again. No callback. Called Orbitz. They called the "property manager" and received no callback...they said I would get a full refund. 2 weeks later... No refund. Called today. I was on hold for 25 minutes and was disconnected. Called back... I'm an hour and 7 minutes into this call. Not only am I out $170.00+ But I had to make another reservation. ORBITZ should be more attentive to complaints like this! I have 3 more reservations booked through them this upcoming month. I hope it goes better than this fiasco. Still haven't been reimbursed. Very disappointed. ***Stay away from historic home in Asheville!!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

They did not provide me with an accounting breakdown receipt. I wanted a receipt showing a breakdown of cost for flight, flight cancellation insurance cost, car rental, car rental insurance cost, taxes and fees. In addition to their lack of detail in providing a receipt, they also kept me on hold for over 45 minutes without answering my call. Very poor customer service. Their company is obviously understaffed. I do not recommend. Deal directly with the airline and car rental agency.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We admit to missing the email sent months ago about a flight change. We have to own that, but never did we receive any reminders about the change in flight or receive the usual email reminders that travelers get from airlines or other booking companies about the upcoming flight. I know for a fact that there is the capability for companies to track unopened emails in order to resend, but apparently it is not used by Orbitz.

Orbitz told us that missing the flight resulted in cancellation of all flights. We had conflicting information from the airline regarding acquiring tickets for the flights. The airline told us our tickets were NOT cancelled, but just needed verification from Orbitz. This was not the story from Orbitz so we basically had to start from scratch and spend hours on the phone. It was very frustrating, but to his credit, the third person we were able to get a hold of, "Jay" did stick with us and come back on the line every 20 minutes or so to let us know he was still working on getting us flights. Take note that this was not the norm for the other assistants and we were left with long periods of dead silence. We were using two phones and know for a fact that the first woman never got back to us despite taking our number "in case we are disconnected."

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Orbitz SUCKS, booked flight, hotel & car via Orbitz. Had a four night stay in Flagstaff A.Z @ Quality Inn. Had to leave after 2 days, the room was just dirty. Front desk told me to get refund from Orbitz. Just getting runaround from Orbitz. They said they paid hotel already. Hotel refuses to refund me. Informed manager will be back in 1 week??? What **. Orbitz basically told me I am screwed for the 2 days. Use Hotwire Or Hotels.com. Got really tired talking to third world rep from Orbitz whose English sucked also. 9/9/18.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

To summarize: received an acceptable rate for a car rental through Orbitz, to be picked up in Omaha. Once we were in Omaha and went to the Thrifty desk, cost was an additional $90 (??). Once we turned in the vehicle (on a holiday, no desk help), and got home, now Thrifty was nailing us for a "deposit" fee of $250!!! They've gotten the car back!!? Orbitz numbers are all B/S! Thrifty would not provide an answer on the deposit issue!? Orbitz stated rates are pure deception. Refrain from using Orbitz!!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

We booked a package vacation for a family of 3 for Round Trip flight from Sacramento to New York, including rent a car, and paid Insurance in case any unexpected events came up. Decided we wanted to change flight times and were not able to help us without penalties of $200pp so $600 added to our total amount already paid. I was very upset since confirmation Reservation never showed penalty fees.

They say United Airlines charges this fee and there’s no way around it. What a shame. We just want to change to later flight and would be charged an additional $300. What a rip off. Really more bad business practices since Orbitz or United Airlines never informed us of this change fee. And if we cancel they will also charge $200pp and we would only be able to get refund through voucher for future flight. I will never use Orbitz or United Airlines again. If I ever book a package deal I will deal directly with company to find out about all hidden fees they don’t inform you about in your Reservation Confirmation. First trip to New York and company could not change as a courtesy to a later flight without $600 charge.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I booked a flight and car rental through Orbitz in February 2018 for a vacation to Syracuse, New York from DFW, Texas in August 2018. I received my itinerary almost immediately, and made sure to not only print it, but also to copy the email, and also use the Orbitz app on my cell phone. Two days prior to my flight, I did a final check on my traveling plans and discovered that my itinerary, other than the dates, had totally changed and I did not receive any notification of these changes from Orbitz.

The airline had to make corrections, the car rental place stated that I should not have used a third party for reservations, there were multiple problems with that. Thankfully Enterprise got it straightened out & even went out of their way to make things better. The return flight schedule Orbitz set was so messed up that we had to take alternate flights. We didn't even know our seating, gate or anything until Delta helped us. I would NOT recommend Orbitz or ever use them again!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

On May 29th 2018 I booked two rooms on August 1st for a hotel on the Isle of Skye. On that same day we had to change our itinerary and cancelled the booking. We still got charged for one room on August 2nd. Although the cancellation email stated that rooms have to be cancelled separately this was not clear from the website. Orbitz refused a refund citing the wording of the cancellation note. Very deceptive. We will not be using Orbitz anymore.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Terrible experience with Orbitz and Payless Car Rental. Rented a van for 7 people on 8/4/18 with a confirmation number from both Orbitz and Payless Car Rental, the day I show up to pick up the car 8/19/18 at the airport - No one picked us up as stated on the confirmation. I looked up the contact information for Payless Car Rental from the Orbitz confirmation and their phone # was wrong!!! I had to pay a taxi to take me to the location and I was told that the car was not available!!! The rep kept telling me that Orbitz doesn’t contact them to check inventory and he denied having received the reservation...

After more than one hour back and forth and calling Orbitz — I had no way of getting back to airport to pick up my family so I ended up renting a smaller car for twice as much... so unfair, unethical, ruined our vacation because it was too late to find large vans at other rental places and we had to change our plans leaving a couple of family members out because they couldn’t fit... PLEASE DON'T TRUST ORTBIZ OR PAYLESS CAR RENTAL ANYWHERE YOU GO!!! They will let you down and you’ll end up paying twice as much.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

My family and I reserved a boathouse via Orbitz and arrived at the location, thinking all was well. However, much to our surprise, the owner was not expecting us and told us he had not posted a listing on Orbitz. Without a place to stay, we drove out another forty miles before finding an available hotel that wasn’t an online scam. Fortunately, we have received our chargeback, though we will never get back the time we wasted correcting this false transaction. tldr; This is a fraudulent service that pockets your money without making good on it. Don’t use Orbitz, unlike of course you enjoy being exploited and swindled.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Flew into Salt Lake City, Utah and reserved a car the day before. When I landed I literally received email: "We canceled your reservation no cars available." I had no other option because other agencies did not have a car. Had to Uber to my destination cost $300.00. NEVER EVER EVER USE ORBITZ. THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE INTERNET.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

We made reservations for Nasta's B&B in Rome through Orbitz several months ago. Before our trip to Italy I printed the Orbitz confirmation information. When we showed up at the B&B we were told that the B&B had no record of our reservation and that rooms were not available. No support was given to find a new place to stay. While I tried to resolve the matter with Orbitz and our credit card company in the space used by the B&B using unsecured wifi our credit card information was hacked. I was on the phone on hold with Orbitz for 15 minutes using expensive international phone time. In the long run all Orbitz said was "Sorry." We received no help from them either. Now I have read that this sort of thing has happened with other people. Never again will I use Orbitz. Today, I am dealing with a dispute involving the Orbitz charge and the related fraudulent attempt to use our card at the same time with my credit card company.

Orbitz expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

• Best for: Budget, domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs