1.09/5
Based on 103 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Last updated: April 20, 2018

1023 Orbitz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2018

Booked a trip, hurricane came to Florida, had to cancel, said, "Thank goodness I purchased insurance." Now trying to book a flight again since 4/12/18 for a trip 4/25, have spent at least 7 phone calls for at least 2 hours one was 3 hours. Got shifted around, bad information, higher prices for ticket, agents said one thing, had to do everything manually they said. Sent emails, asked to be contacted by phone, no one called. Use of my credit time and planned trip is running out. Tickets more expensive, requested refund, got more deceptive, manipulative talk. This has been a horrible experience I would not advise anyone to use this million dollar conglomerate for anything at all, car, hotel, flights. Consumers are definitely subjected to a BEWARE situation.

Original review: April 17, 2018

They wasted 12 hours of my life, ALL ON VACATION this last Very short year. I have never spent this much time in abandon parking lots waiting for rentals (maybe just less than 16 hours on my phone bill). After that many hours it seem like they have just given up on trying to make customers happy like the airlines. There is no excuse to spend this much time dealing with my trip. I have spent at least 6 different 2 hours phone calls to get nothing but managers who can help me. Never again!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

They offer hotel booking protection plans when you book non-refundable rates in the event you need to cancel for a medical reason. Before moving forward with a reservation that included a non-refundable rate, I called on 4/5/2018 to confirm if this was the case and whether I would get a refund, the agent confirmed and I asked him to double-confirm with his supervisor. Today, 4/16/2018, I am calling to cancel the reservation and have been on the phone for over 2.5 hours. The first ask Kajesh, said he was unable to find any documentation of the call I had on 4/5/2018. I gave him the date and time and he said he was going to forward me to his supervisor. I then get on the phone with the next supervisor. I give him the story and explain the situation. He states that he can pull up the call from 4/5/2018 where the agent confirmed I would get a refund and if he makes that promise, he would absolutely get me a refund.

After almost an hour, he finds the call that they claimed they had no documentation for and he confirms that the agent falsely confirmed the cancellation agreement. He then said he was going to look into one more thing and that he could help get the reservation canceled. He returned after a hold and said that he found new "evidence" that my original call was related to a different reservation that I had made and that it was already canceled. I explained to him that I made a reservation for a different property on 4/3/2018 but that I went in and canceled on 4/5/2018 after I booked the new non-refundable reservation. The previous reservation included free cancellation so I was easily able to cancel that and get a refund. As a formality, I called Orbitz to make sure the cancellation processed on their end which they confirmed. The agent was trying to say that the cancellation message I got was for the previous property but that is absolutely not true.

For starters, I did not purchase a travel protection plan for the reservation because it is free cancellation- you don't need it. Two, when I called on 4/5/2018 to confirm the cancellation procedure with the insurance policy I purchased, they ask you for the name of the hotel which I provided. When I mentioned that to him, he confirmed that but was hesitant because I just caught him in a lie. I reminded him that he had promised me he would cancel if found the call and can confirm I got the wrong information. At first he mentioned, "We usually like to call the hotel and see if they can cancel but since you have been on the phone for such a long time, I will go through our phone records and expedite the process." When I reminded him of this, he went silent. I asked to be transferred to his superior. He transferred me to a Rosie **.

This so-called supervisor did not review the transcripts or conversations that I had with previous agents. She just stated that it was a non-refundable rate and that was the policy and that was stated when I first called. I corrected her and said, "That's not what was stated." And asked if she reviewed the phone call. She did not answer the question but just kept talking over me. So I stopped her and said, "Have you reviewed the phone call, yes or no?" She stated, "No." I told her to review the phone call so she is up to speed. She said she could not do that, and it had to go through legal. I asked her how an employee beneath her can review a recording and she has to go through legal. She then changes her tune and says that it takes 3-4 days to get the recording. Again, I remind her that the agent beneath her got the phone recording the same day.

I told her she wasn't being helpful at all and that I wanted to speak to a different supervisor. She said she was unable to transfer me. She said everyone is on the phone and you have to call back tomorrow. I told her I would wait and I needed to speak to a different supervisor. She declined and said I would have to start over by calling the 800 number. At this point, I had been on the phone for 2 hours. She was irate and completely unprofessional. If she is the point-guard at Orbitz for high-level customer service, she and the company have both failed. An individual like that has no job working with clients, nor does she have any business providing staff guidance or training. At the end of a 3+hour phone call, they asked me to contact the insurance company.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Have been a customer for many years with Orbitz and they booked my family a room in PHX Sky Harbor airport area. Had to catch a flight next morning but was not advised it was bike week so when I called to change hotels they told me no problem. They understood after I explained it is not a family environment, and after speaking personally with the front desk and was told they totally understood and gave me the ok to return my money for the 1-night stay, and after Orbitz agent also agreed and called the hotel himself and verifying the fact that the hotel was ok to return the refund. The fact that I looked for a hotel that I advised agent I was going to pay cash they still paid the whole amount on the card. They still took full amount.

It has been over three weeks and I received an email today saying that the hotel did not want to refund the money, so after I verified the same night the Orbitz agent also verified the same night and after several phone calls to Orbitz myself they now putting the blame on the Hotel! I booked with Cheapo the same night at 1 am explained the same scenario to the agent about bike week and he found me a hotel away from bike week area with no problem at 1 am after all this ordeal!! I will never use Orbitz again, I hope Orbitz reads these and takes care of the next family better than they did us!!! 4/16/18

Original review: April 14, 2018

My husband is in the military, so making permanent plans is always a gamble. We purchased cancel protection for a flight, and sure enough, he got orders for last-minute deployment. Between him and I, we called Orbitz NINE times to try to get a refund on our tickets. Customer service was terrible, I had to threaten to get my husband's supervisor involved, and we finally got our refund the day before our flight (and two days after he left). I have never been so disappointed with a service in my life. It's not like we changed our minds about our trip, the government sent my husband overseas. If your family has any kind of unpredictable schedule, military or otherwise, NEVER use Orbitz. And their "cancel protection" is a JOKE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: April 13, 2018

Used Orbitz to book a cruise. After looking over my final payment I noticed they added trip insurance. I called the C/S number on my paperwork to cancel this coverage, I am still over 90 days before my cruise date, after several calls to different numbers I was told to call & 8 emails I was told it couldn’t be canceled. I will never use Orbitz for any travel needs.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I booked a United flight through Orbitz and when I went to review my upcoming flight ($196.00 total) I saw that they booked the wrong time (I requested AM and it was a late PM flight). I had luckily purchased trip protection for $38. Orbitz website informs you that with trip protection you can cancel a flight and receive the money amount in credit to use towards booking another flight. I cancelled my flight and was given a phone # to call to use my credits to book a flight at the correct time.

Orbitz informed me that they would charge my account $200 to use my credits to book and purchase a new flight. This charge is MORE than my original cancelled flight. This was not written anywhere on the website or on the trip protection guidelines. I now have the cancelled flight charged on my card along with trip protection and cannot do anything with them. This is theft, not to mention, they were the ones who made the mistake of booking me a wrong flight to begin with. I am owed a refunded flight with no additional charges.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I attempted to book a flight a week in advance due to flight costs and last minute invite to wedding. While booking my flight just as I was waiting for booking confirmation I got bounced back to the search screen and was told to search again. So I did thinking it was a technical glitch on my part. So I proceeded through the booking process a second time and was denied saying payment not accepted when I know I have sufficient funds. So I tried for a third time and was prompted to call my bank.

After doing so I was told Orbitz charged me and I had a pending payment which was trying to be put back. I called customer service and two people who didn't speak any English practically dismissed me and said, "We didn't charge you. The airline did. We can't control that." I'm pissed because if I book something through a site I would like their help. I was pretty much just told to deal with it and wait till my money comes back and book again. Which means my flight will be more expensive and now I have to spend more money. I WILL NOT BE USING ORBITZ.COM AGAIN AND I WILL MAKE SURE EVERYONE I KNOW DOESN'T EITHER. Very bad customer service workers and a waste of time booking on Orbitz.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Please share my story. I hate doing this, but this is the most upset I have been in a long time. For the help throughout the lead up to my wedding, my wife and I gave wedding gifts to her parents and my parents. My parents' gift was three nights in Toronto, a city we went to after we got engaged and loved it. We booked the trip through @Orbitz on @PorterAirlines in October, and given it was a surprise we paid for Travel Protection/Insurance. Fast forward to today, my dad is recovering from hip surgery which has him out of work from February through at least June per his orthopedic surgeon.

I forgot about the Travel Protection, tried telling my story about the medical situation to both Orbitz and Porter Airlines, neither organization would issue a credit as the flights were non refundable. Luckily I looked at the receipt, saw I paid for the Travel Protection, and was pretty relieved. I had my father send me the details he provided his employer for his leave, and contacted Orbitz who then put me in touch with Aon who is their outsourced Insurance provider.

They are now requesting him to sign information to release his medical records and have his orthopedic surgeon complete a physician statement form. I reached out to twenty plus executives within ORBITZ on LinkedIn, and spent hours on the phone trying to figure out a way to not have to release his medical records to receive a refund and just provide the physician notes, I was told there was nothing that can be done. Never in my history of dealing with organization’s customer service departments have I had such a poor customer experience, and I forever will be telling my story to people I come across. Thanks for nothing @Orbitz @PorterAirlines #Orbitz #PorterAirlines.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I call customer service. I talked to a representative and explained that I wasn't sure on my son's return date. Was there any way to leave the date open or someway to be able to change the date if needed. He said to purchase traveler's insurance and I could change the date once. Then when I needed to change the date I was told that I COULD NOT Change it. That the insurance can only be used in an emergency situation.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I had prices a PV trip for a week, when Or it's offered flight, hotel all inclusive for less than $1300 for 2 people. (Unheard of price). Tried to book it for an hour, got various messages... wrong info, unable to process card (I tried 3 good cards to no available ). Finally the last message Said they were experiencing "technical difficulties". So. Of course I contacted customer service/they looked into it/after 15 minutes they informed yes, they could book that for $300 plus more. The prices are consistently changing etc. I will never use Orbitz. Booked with Hotwire.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Let's start at the end... 800,000 Orbitz customers and credit card security issues announce Mar 20. NOT good. On top, bought insurance on ticket. Told there was a credit, now went to book emergency ticket home due to family emergency and no credit. Orbitz did not make a notation on file. They are blaming Delta, Delta says we didn't book ticket. Orbitz did. You paid them. Orbitz then said to file insurance claim... Insurance claim declined with "non-specific reasoning". Military members do not get any discounts, do not get any freebies for anything. This is all out of our pockets. We MIGHT get to check a military bag without a fee. I called Orbitz and Expedia called me back. I filed insurance claim with AIG and got a decline memo from Aon. Zero transparency. Nobody knows whats going on and on top of all of that? Service people and English skills are tremendously lacking.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Booked airfare, misspelled middle name, first and last name correct. Called within 24 hrs. was told they didn't know if airlines charge name change and I would receive an email answer within 48-72 hrs. Email stated name change 250$ cancellation 400$ because past 24 hrs. After 1 hr to speak with Jessica - supervisor - I said that I called them within 24 hrs. Answer I got was "we have no records". Stuck with paying 250 or 400. Isn't fair as I called within 24 hrs and rep wasn't informed, all they had to say is cancel now and re-book, that's all. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I booked a car rental for the Ontario, CA airport for February-March. When I received the confirmation it was for May in Hawaii. I attempted to cancel online, but I get an error message that it cannot be canceled, even though May is 2 months away. After multiple attempts to reach Orbitz, only to get overseas call centers, I asked a supervisor to cancel the reservation and close my Orbitz account. That was over 6 weeks ago yet the reservation still shows up and my account is open. I emailed Orbitz and they responded that the account it cannot be closed while there is an open reservation. Turning it over to our state Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I booked a car rental through Orbitz, they emailed me an invoice that included taxes and fees, when I got to the car rental they added more fees almost doubling the price, it was a classic bait-and-switch. I called and emailed Orbitz, that was even more frustrating than getting ripped off. First they told me that car rentals could add fees if it's a one-way rental or if you don't give the car back with the full amount of fuel. When I told them that the fees were not of that nature, but bogus fees they told me the car rental could add any fee. If that is the case they should have disclosed that while I was making the reservation, instead of telling me that the price includes tax and FEES. I would love to start a class action suit against Orbitz.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I booked a cruise on Orbitz and there were multiple packages included; Wifi, dining, and 2 levels of shipboard credit. Got order confirmation and they were all listed on the e-mail. But when I went to NCL to register I was missing the $200 onboard credit and NCL told me to call Orbitz. Orbitz said that the other 3 credits were automatic, but I had to complete a form for the $200 credit.

They said it was too late now and I should have read the fine print. I told them they should have listed that credit separately with bold print somehow pointing out that a form was needed and that they should have sent the form. They said form was supposed to be link in the e-mail, but it was not there. They said too bad; that I should read terms and conditions more thoroughly. I feel that they purposely act like a bait and switch and make it harder by hiding critical information from the consumer. I think this was my first time ever using Orbitz and it will certainly be my last time. They do not care about customers. And yes I talked to a supervisor as well.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I was visiting Memphis for a long weekend. I book my flight, hotel and car on Orbitz and I must say they lie. The pictures they had on their website for the hotel I booked was nothing like when I arrived. It looked so scary. I thought I would get killed for sure. And when I called Orbitz to complain, I was told I could cancel but would get hit with a penalty even after I told the rep that I feared being there. Never again. Priceline is better.

Original review: March 15, 2018

When I rented my car thru Orbitz nowhere was it mentioned that they slap a 300 dollar holding fee on your credit card. So after arriving to Seattle airport I'm having to walk to all the car rental looking for one that doesn't charge the stupid fee, National is the only one who doesn't so Orbitz, you might want to mention this on your website if you're going to allow car rentals on your website because I was 2 hours late for a meeting due to this crap.

Original review: March 9, 2018

The customer service was below poor, and the staff that handled my call need to be fired. The bottom line is the customer service was so poor. I filed a complaint with the BBB and will post as many negative comments on the internet as I can find! I called to resolve a simple problem, my NAME WAS wrong on the flight details. My last name was omitted, error on my part no problem. So I call to explain this detail to the unprofessional, untrained idiots who don't have a professional bone in their body. Here starts the fiasco known as switch and bait, and "EXTORT" more money from this customer who simply wants help changing ticket details. I called United and they straightened it out. Your staff were full of lies, deception and only solution was cancel the flight and pay an additional $500. UNETHICAL< DECEPTIVE PRACTICES!!!! NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I attempted to book a flight online and the Web page claimed it was 'unable to process my booking, try again in a few minutes'. I tried two more times with the same result. However, Orbitz took every payment and held up over $1000 of my checking account funds for over a week! When I called to rebook they offered a $75 voucher if I upgraded and added a hotel. Nothing for my HOURS spent on the phone. Nothing for the holding of my cash. Nothing for my years of booking with them. The manager (Christine) was inconsiderate, unaccommodating, rude and absolutely infuriating. While I waited on hold for 30 minutes I booked with Expedia and will tell everyone I know to avoid Orbitz at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Dear fellow customers, if you are thinking of booking your next vacations with Orbitz, just DON'T. I have been using this travel website for years now, but do not have enough words to describe how UNPROFESSIONAL and UNACCEPTABLE their behavior has been today. After booking a round trip to France through their website, the airline (TAP Portugal) apparently canceled the return flights a few days later. As this happened more than one week before the date of my return ticket, it was Orbitz's responsibility to inform me of this change (as per the agreement between TAP and Orbitz in such cases).

However, Orbitz not only did NOT send me any email or text message to notify me that my flights had been rescheduled to the day before, but they have the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. It is now 2 AM in France and I am supposed to fly out tomorrow, but I still haven't been able to speak with someone who could help me rebook my flight. Not that I haven't been patient enough: I have already spoken with 9 different Orbitz representatives and been on the phone for the past 4h30. Yes: 4 hours and thirty minutes... And I am still on hold waiting for another supervisor to transfer me to another manager!!!

I am supposed to start my new job the day after tomorrow and I cannot believe that: 1) I still don't know if I will be able to fly out tomorrow and actually report to the office (and keep my job...); and 2) I am spending my last supposedly good night of sleep on the phone with Orbitz for potentially NOTHING. This is absolutely unbelievable and by far (way far!!!) the worst online travel website and customer service. DO NOT BOOK THROUGH THEM!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

This was the worst experience I have ever had with a booking company. I travel quite often with business, and I am an experienced traveler. I had to make a simple change to my travel plans and I was unable to do it on the website, so I called in to customer service. The first person who answered could not speak English. I tried to work with them for a while and finally gave up. The second call took too long and the fares went up over $200 per ticket. The third call also difficult to understand, but made it through the process with the confirmation that my CC had been charged. On my RETURN flight the airline wanted to charge my card again! ANOTHER call to Orbitz and they said they didn’t process the CC charges (I think-because they also spoke broken English)! Horrible experience!!! Please have customer service agents who speak and UNDERSTAND English!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

This company is a fraud. They display misleading information and then send you different facts in confirmation hoping you don't catch it. NEVER USE THEM FOR ANYTHING. Read reviews - most are terrible!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I reserved a hotel room for March through Orbitz in January. 1 month later I received a text message that said I needed to contact them about a reservation made through Orbitz. I called, they said I needed to change my reservation to a different hotel and pay the difference to keep a reservation on that date. Thinking this was a scam, I called Orbitz, they confirmed by reservation, sent me an email confirmation that day. The person at Orbitz told me it must have been a scam because I still had the reservation and it was confirmed.

One week later I received an email from Orbitz stating the same thing as the text message. I called Orbitz again, they now say that the hotel I booked the reservation with is under construction and will not be ready in March, so I need to change my reservation to a different hotel. It is now 1 month away, the hotels are more expensive ($400 more to be exact), even less options of hotels and Orbitz is telling me I need to pay more for a mess up that I had no control over. I was on the phone with Orbitz representatives for 50 minutes, wasted my whole entire lunch break and still NOTHING WAS RESOLVED. They called me back and I was on the phone for an additional 20 minutes and they finally got a room booked. They did cover the difference, rightfully so. However, I will never use Orbitz again!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I booked a flight and hotel through Orbitz a year and a half ago. Our flight got changed and was not going to work. Orbitz said Delta changed it. After trying to find other flights that would work, we ended up having to cancel, get a refund and start over. Orbitz said they started the refund process on 1-2-18 only to find out today 1-26-18 that they hadn’t. I spoke with Josh today and he assured me that my refund was being processed. I asked for Deltas direct number and he tried talking me out of calling them, when I insisted on getting Deltas number, he finally gave it to me.

After being on the line for 1 hr and 7 min with Orbitz, I called Delta and spoke with Jarita, she said that Orbitz had NOT made any refund requests for me. Delta started the refund process themselves and even sent me a confirmation email. I then called Orbitz back and talked to a SUPERVISOR named Angel, she advised me that the person that was supposed to start the refund process never did! I told her that I called Delta and they have now started the process and asked her if she could call Delta to expedite the process beings they (Orbitz) dropped the ball.

I was put on hold and she claimed she did but Delta could not do anything. She then said she could talk to the Orbitz corporate office and put me on hold AGAIN. Then I was transferred to Craig in the Corporate Office and he admitted that Orbitz had dropped the ball and the best they could do for me is give me a $200 travel voucher but heres the kicker, the travel voucher is only good for 1 year! Well, I don’t know about anyone else but I'm not made of money and cannot afford a vacation like this every year so the $200 travel voucher isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on!

This Craig tried to tell me that it was a “miscommunication” when I told him that I was LIED to each and every time I called to check on my refund! **! It was a flat out lie! There was no MISCOMMUNICATION! What idiots... I will never go through Orbitz again. They have employees that cannot speak English nor do they understand English and I'm not even sure that I was speaking to anyone in the USA! Be very aware people, think twice about going through Orbitz, you will be very sorry and not only will they try and rip you off, they lie and you will not be compensated!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I booked a flight for my husband under my account. Of course I had to find the best deal and cheap flight available. After purchasing the ticket I entered my husband's name and all information they were asking. Booked and set to go! Only to find out that they booked under my name. So I called customer service multiple times and was able to speak to somebody who speaks decent English but not very well. Explained to him what happened, and they acknowledged their error. However couldn't do anything for me, can't change the name. No refund. No changing of flights either. All they offered was to help me book another flight and forfeit the flight that was already booked in the first place. I spoke to the supervisor next and all she did was apologize but couldn't offer anything else. Why would me, the consumer, suffer for the error that the company made? That is not reasonable at all. This would be the last time I would be using Orbitz.com.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Went to Orbitz.com to get a flight. Found a cheap flight to FL. $105 round trip. I put in my info and pressed continue to book it. About 30 seconds later it came back that it was unavailable. But I can book it for $174. So I did! I went back to the Orbitz.com site and looked that same flight up and it was @ $105 again oh just like the first one all taxes and fees included. So I checked Travelocity they had the same $105 price same itinerary. So I went directly to Spirit Airlines who is the carrier. It was even cheaper.

I am on day 3 from booking my flight and it’s still $105. WTF My ticket cost me $174 because there are no more seats available at that price. I can’t get a legit refund for the difference. From Orbitz but I got a paper credit from Spirit Airlines for any flight within the next two months. It took about an hour and half just to get something I can’t use. Also to finish this the representatives for both companies were for from a foreign land and spoke with broken English.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

When I had to cancel my flight I was told my purchase of trip insurance would give me air miles to use at another time. When attempting to use them I was told it would cost me more than the credit was worth to use them. So trip insurance is a ripoff, air miles are useless, and No one could tell me anything other than to forget the credit and book separate. Pointless! Book directly with your airline for now on!! These 3rd party sites are worthless! Never again!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

The hotel that was reserved no longer operates and is still listed in their website. We have arrived at the property and the hotel was being demolished, we called the phone on the itinerary and the lady has said that they have asked to taken off the list a year ago. To get my refund their website wants me to make a phone call to the US, because they don't have an email listed on their website. I have managed to reach them on their Facebook page to get a refund and said they will have to contact the hotel and give me a message. And have not replied since. Now I have disputed it with my credit card just to get a refund.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I made an airline reservation with Orbitz. Afterward tried to get a seat reservation which took me a whole day of one person passing me to another and then finally they told me to go to the airline site to do it. Well I did and the airline did not recognize the booking and or the ticket #. When I called Orbitz back first after explaining the situation and having the person hung up on me. The next time I called the explanation why the airline did not have my reservation was that you need to give them a day to get the reservation before they can help you. Why not reserve with the airline directly??? I found out it would have cost the exact same price. Live and learn!!!

Orbitz expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

• Best for: Budget, domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs