1.26/5

Looking for a travel site?

Orbitz

Looking for a travel site?

1141 Orbitz Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 30, 2019

Recently planned a trip to Las Vegas to attend a concert and it only took me a few minutes to make arrangements for the flight along with making hotel accommodations at the same time...this was a very quick process at the Orbitz website.

Original review: May 17, 2019

It was pretty straightforward and easy to use, I have used Orbitz pretty regularly, but I have found that most travel sites are about the same price. I don`t see a big savings using one over another.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Last November 2018, I booked with Orbitz for 3 consecutive nights (each night in separate city - Buffalo, NY, Syracuse, NY and Boston, MA). A day before my intended travel, there were thunderstorms, snow and people got stuck for 11 hr on the road, in short there was a weather catastrophe. Since the roads were difficult the next day as there were still vehicles to be cleared all the way to Niagara Falls, I asked Orbitz for a cancellation of all 3 nights (despite having a non-refundable) reservation and they granted me my request with a full refund.

Last Friday (April 2019), I booked a trip to Milan and an hour after a confirmed booking, I checked other bookings sites to see if I got a fair deal, if not better, and found out that another site was offering my same trip for $30+ lower. I researched on Orbitz price guarantee and found out that they have this feature/offer so I requested for a refund and several hours after, I got a confirmation email that they will refund me the difference plus $50 in Orbucks. I been booking flights/hotels with them for maybe 10 years now for myself and other family members and did not encounter any problem. I have also been using their reward features which give me Orbucks every time I booked and shop. Had booked with or without travel insurance but did not get a chance to avail of the benefits so I could not say anything about that.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Accurate information on room and amenities. Enjoyed most of the stays. Staff was helpful and available. Good location to our event. Breakfast adequate. Clean room. Comfortable bed and felt secure at the hotel.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Overall simple to use. I use Orbitz for all of my travel plans and the whole process was fairly easy. You can search multiple days for cheapest flights and getting extra services like wheelchairs and escort.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: July 16, 2019

Orbitz is the worst big company I've ever dealt with. DO NOT buy their "travel protection." It is not actually handled by Orbitz and they do not stand by it whatsoever. They just refer you back to the airline or to the outside insurance company. Horrible customer service reps who don't actually care and are not authorized to do anything for their customers. Same response even if you keep asking to talk to each person's higher up. Basically, it seems their business model is to hide behind the ease of booking on their website. If people have issues, they are brushed off. Orbitz is 100% okay with losing customers, even those who have been loyal for years. I will NEVER use Orbitz again.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I made a booking with Orbitz for a multi-city international flight return from Melbourne Australia to Indianapolis USA. The ticket price for this trip was significant at USD 4,768 economy seats. I had to cancel my trip and called Orbitz support and was on hold for over 1.5 hours. When I finally talked to someone they put me back on hold for 10 minutes and then phone connection dropped. This has been repeated at least 8 times to varying degree. I am an experienced traveler and have never come across a company as bad as Orbitz. Certainly have never been so frustrated before about anything.

UPDATE. I have an email from Orbitz confirming my credit that has to be used with FIJI airlines in at least 1 leg of the flight - it was ticketed through them even though majority of flight was with United and American Airlines. Not sure if FIJI airlines will travel to future destination I need to go? Also I have to book the flight within 5 months and travel within 12 months. This significantly devalues the credit as I may not have use for it.... Anyway, I am still on hold with Orbitz trying to book a return flight to Fiji and their system cannot allow the booking because of some reason???? And the frustration continues. John **. Never use ORBITZ again!!!!

Original review: July 16, 2019

Dealing with Orbitz was awful. It's true what they say, you get what you pay for. Orbitz screwed us on our flights and especially our hotel room. Although we booked in advance, we found out we would have been better accommodated had we been stand by passengers. They got priority seating over us. Our return flight we didn't even get seated together. We had also booked a hotel room for 2 nights. At least that is what we were charged for. Come to find out that Orbitz only booked the room for 1 night on our behalf and the hotel called to kick us out in the middle of the night!

After several attempts to correct this with them, I had to resort to filing a dispute with my credit card company. I tried calling Orbitz customer service and I was hung up on both times. I then reached out via email and all they did was comp me for the 2nd night they forgot to book. I found out that Orbitz actually gave my card information to a third party merchant for purchases! I somehow feel like that is illegal and I will be reporting it to all appropriate agencies. Do not book through Orbitz, you'll regret it.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I stopped using Orbitz as their rewards expire very quickly. I travel frequently and have not received a dime from Orbitz. Use Hotels.com and already have a free $200 hotel room. I think that Orbitz needs to go as there are much better sites that give you freebies.

Original review: July 9, 2019

We booked a hotel through Orbitz a couple of weeks in advance of a trip. We arrived at the hotel tonight only to find that the hotel is closed and has been for a while. I will never use Orbitz again. It is absolutely terrible that Orbitz would sell and reserve us a hotel room for a hotel without even confirming that the hotel is open for business. Makes me wonder if all hotel bookings on Orbitz are fraudulent. Don't ever book a hotel through Orbitz. They are not to be trusted.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Pathetic. Rip off. Go directly through the hotel or airline or use someone else. Orbitz is a well known name, but just another scamming company willing to rip you off and not work with you at all. This was the worst booking experience I've EVER had.

Original review: July 2, 2019

We booked two mountain view hotel rooms through Orbitz in June, 2019 paying an extra $10 for each. When we arrived we received two rooms without mountain views. The hotel said none were available and to speak to Orbitz for a refund. I have called twice now since returning home to hear there will be no refund. They have kept me on hold a long time with both calls. My request for a $60 refund was denied for no reason. We will never use Orbitz again.

Original review: July 1, 2019

On the phone, on hold mostly from 11AM-10:15PM, trying to get another flight or a full refund since they booked my connecting flight too close together and I missed my flight. I got a package deal and they never secured my seats. When I called the airline direct, they told me I wasn’t gong to make the connection and the Orbitz didn’t get me a seat. Orbitz then said I could leave this morning and I pleaded to extend my return so I wouldn’t be across the world for 2 days. I said I’d still go if they couldn’t fully refund me. Hours later, being on hold, while he checked and called around, he says he couldn’t refund my return.

After I finally got upset due to having been on the phone for 9 hours and they wouldn’t refund me, the rep said, "ok!" He worked on getting my refund, putting me on hold again for another 35 minutes. He returned stating only a refund for flights. I told him I asked him not to cancel unless I’d get a full refund, which he promised. I pleaded for another 30 minutes, and he said, "ok." I asked for it in writing, since he was the 3rd rep who constantly lied to me. He sent me an email with only a flight refund, I told him resend with hotel.

He then said he couldn't. I told him, "you’ve lied so many times and why’d you say you get me the hotel back?" Pleaded again and he slipped and said I didn’t even have a seat secured on the changed flight. I said, "oh, I see what's going on here! You guys take my money and I would’ve been at the airport and unable to board." That’s two flights you supposedly reserved without assigning me a seat. So now that I know your fraud and there were no plans to even get me there, I want my hotel refunded as well. That’s when he said, "ok." I had him send the second email. The airline said Orbitz is known for this and they hear complaints all the time so go thru the airlines. I didn’t know they were a scam. 11 hours on the phone trying to get them to RIGHT their wrong. Cruel and unusual punishment. Never again.

Original review: June 26, 2019

This is my first time using Orbitz to purchase airline ticket, and sadly I had a very bad experience and wasted a lot of my time waiting on their phone line addressing the issue. I wanted to book a flight on Hawaiian airline flying from Honolulu to Singapore for me & 2 kids, I had called Orbitz before booking with them, because I like to confirm 2 things -

- If I can still purchase the mileage maximizer on Hawaiian website as we had always did before when we purchase directly with airline. Because that give us a lot of miles with much lesser cost & most airline offers this option before departure date, so I asked Orbitz rep if purchasing from them would change anything regarding this.

- If I can select my seats or changes to seats. I repeated to ask the Orbitz rep about this as this is important for me and I want make sure it still can be done. And I was told by Orbitz rep that I can do these 2 things after I book through them and can access Hawaiian website to do these 2 things as normal.

So I purchased our tickets from Orbitz after she had confirm with me. But after this, I later found out that I was given misinformation and I later found out I cannot purchase the mileage maximizer from Hawaiian airline because our tickets are not brought directly through them. And I was upset and wanted to cancel my flight with Orbitz, so I can purchase directly with airline. But then I was told I had passed the timeline to get cancellation.

And during the time I was making a complain to Orbitz, I was transferred to different places few times with super long hold time, wasted 4 hrs of my time just waiting over and over on phone for help from Orbitz to resolve this issue and a fair compensation due to their misinforming me, which cost us 7000 miles that I not able to purchase through the mileage maximizer option if I would have brought our ticket with airline directly at a low cost. Just a super long terrible experience transferring and waiting through their phone line getting this resolve. Terrible experience, they later only compensated $100 which is not even close to the 4hrs of time wasted on my end on the phone waiting, and losing 7000 miles! It’s just so frustrating.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Orbitz apparently works with a rental company called ZEZGO. Do NOT book Anything with them. They are out to scam consumers and will falsify information and then place fraudulent charges on your card. They are a Complete Nightmare!!! Go to the ZEZGO website and read how terrible their reviews are and you’ll understand they are a corrupt business and Orbitz should NOT use this company as it make Orbitz seem just as bad!

Original review: June 19, 2019

Twice I have pushed buy on a ticket and the price changed to a higher price. One time I caught it and the other time I did not. My daughter was ill and in a foreign country. I found a ticket for $948 to get her home quickly. I pushed buy and put in the information. I was charged $1450. When I called they said that they would do nothing. I ultimately spoke with a corporate manager by the name of Cory and he belittled me and made me feel even worse than when I had called in. I have used Orbitz for all of our travel needs in the past. I use to love using Orbitz. NO MORE! I see why they have a 1 star rating. What a horrible company.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Not recommend to no one, support team is not responsive, not working with customers! Call support never pickup the phone, front desk never pickup the phone etc etc, tried to change reservation, nothing, not helped..

Original review: June 16, 2019

Wasted over 1hr 30 on the phone w/ untrained consumer service. I requested a supervisor who wanted to charge over $200 to rebooked a flight the same day. This was ENTIRELY the fault of Orbitz who someone from corporate named Amy boldface lied & blamed on American Airlines saying the flight was cancelled due to maintenance & they aren’t booking w/out over $200 charge. However, it was verified it was due to overbooking. The 2nd flight that was cancelled for maintenance which we were not liable for at all. I contacted American Airlines & they w/out hesitation got a flight scheduled. No fee.

While we were on the line w/ American Airlines another supervisor called, apparently knew & understood Orbitz was fully at fault. When I told her we were on the phone w/ American Airlines she hung up...Stay away from Orbitz if you expect to fly to your scheduled flight destination. They will book your flights, take your money, then charge you more for your return flight. I’m looking forward to posting a recording of this conversation & lies on YouTube.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Hotel room cost $188.00 per night through Orbitz. It only cost $150.00 per night at hotel. I’ve always used Orbitz and was happy. I will try to book directly with hotel from now on. Also, hotel was overpriced. Did not meet the standard that I expected.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have been a consumer of Orbitz for years. I have booked numerous flights for myself, family and friends and while creating them their own profiles. My family used to tell me I should be a spokesman for Orbitz travel site because I am always on their app searching for the best deals. June 1,2019 my experience with Orbitz has completely removed my interest in the company. To summarize, I booked a flight for American Airlines Chicago-Vegas as a cute girls trip. I recently had a baby so I was so excited to get away for a weekend and relax and have some girl time. I was able to secure a decently priced flight since I purchased close to my departure date.

As life goes, I had to make a change to my flight. After calling customer service and being directed three times before the specialist took ownership of my issue, I was then advised I had booked a non-changeable flight where my only option would be to no show for the flight and create another outbound. Inbound would remain the same. I understood that I could not change my outbound, so I went ahead and booked a new outbound per the specialist recommendation. Well, she failed to inform me that no shows lead to cancelations of the entire flight. So here I am, in Vegas having fun and enjoying my time away to receive an email at 11 pm (14 hours before departure) stating my inbound flight home was cancelled.

Instantly, I call customer service to see what the deal was. After 4 hours of transfers, callbacks and disheartened employees, I was told pretty much that I dropped the ball and they would NOT help me get home. My only option was to purchase another flight back. Given that I have been a loyal customer who has sent several recommendations their way, and booked personally through them this response was beyond me. Not once have I EVER had an issue with Orbitz and here they are willing to leave me stranded in another state.

I spoke with the manager and advised if I had misunderstood, I apologize as for I was under the impression the specialist TOLD me to no show. Nowhere in the closing etc did she state anything regarding cancellations and this manager just decided to bypass that. Even when she listed to the call, she confirmed my inbound flight cancellation was NOT mentioned. So my question to her was, "If I’ve been a loyal customer for years with no complaints or bad record or bad standing what can we do together to ensure I get home?" She told me that was not her problem and she would not help me with any flights. My only option was to purchase another flight and go that route. And she became silent.

The disgust is loyalty no longer means anything to corporations. The fact, they left me to figure out how to get home over $300 is disgusting and distasteful. The manager was perfectly fine hanging up knowing I had no way to get home and limited funds. The specialist failed to inform me that her recommendation would leave me with a cancelled flight and I would be left to purchase another one. This would be a customer care error but apparently I am the only one who feels this way. Because of this, I will no longer recommend Orbitz to another person. They’re only worried about revenue and could careless about the consumers they serve. I am disgusted that I have supported a business for so long. I am heartbroken in the service I received and lack of empathy.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I booked a car rental on Thursday with Orbitz to be picked up on Tuesday at the Orlando international Airport. I paid for the insurance and they had my driver's license information. Since it was Memorial Day weekend I called first thing Tuesday morning and spoke with Orbitz and Alamo to confirm everything was good and that all I needed to pay was the $136 when I arrived. When I showed up to get my car I handed the attendant my driver's license and debit/credit card from SunTrust. The attendant basically threw my cards back at me and said, "We can’t rent to you. You’re a Florida resident". I asked him to explain why and he said it doesn’t matter he couldn’t help me and called for the next person in line. I then called Orbitz and said what had just happened and the response I got from Orbitz was, "Oh yeah that’s right." I asked, "Why did you take the booking then if you knew that they wouldn’t be able to rent the car."

The lady replied, "It’s in the fine print." So I asked to speak to the manager to see if they could get it booked somewhere else and resolved. His reaction was, "Oh I’ll just refund your money." I asked, "How long it would be before the money was refunded," and he said, "7 to 10 business days." I said, "That wasn’t going to work." They had all of the money that I was using to rent a vehicle to drive to Miami for my job. So he replied he would release it within 24 but he didn’t so here four days later I had to call back and speak to another manager who told me the money would be released within 7 to 10 business days and there was nothing they could do to make it go any faster. I barely made it to my job which would have meant I would’ve lost my job because of their incompetence. I will never recommend this company and I highly advise you don’t trust them either! I still don’t have my money!

Original review: May 25, 2019

I had booked a flight from Dallas -> Miami -> London -> Bengaluru. The flight was leaving from Dallas on 5/24. I checked in on 5/23. I was at the airport on 5/24 but I was not allowed to board because I did not have a stamp on my VISA. I had all valid documentation and was going to India to get the stamp. So I missed all the legs of my flights. I called Orbitz my booking company. They called British Airways. Net net:

1. My booking was canceled. 2. I did not get any refund. 3. I wanted to get refund only one way because on the return I would have had a stamp and could have traveled. 4. But my full trip was canceled and I lost all the money which was not cheap = $2200. 5. The only offer I was given was a refund of $155. 6. One of the agents told me I could get full credit but the "manager" discredited it saying it was incorrect and the flight had already left so I couldnt qualify. This is very unfair to a consumer especially for a ticket price that was not cheap. Orbitz used this as a great way to make money from consumers. By taking money and not making them take the flight. Such should be the models of all organizations - easy money!!! So fed up with their crappy service.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Lack of service. No responsibility. No experience when it come to service. The agent don’t even put supervisors on phone. They were polite and courteous before booking. I promise not to use your service in future.

Original review: May 19, 2019

There was a mistake from day 1 and it took me several phone calls, and several hours to try to get it corrected. It never was corrected and to be honest we went to the airport to come home, not knowing we even had a ticket to come home! Sun Country had to look into it and do some changing. Never will I use Orbitz again.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I have been using Orbitz for many times and for different things like hotels flights and cars. Recently I booked a car on your website. Itinerary number **. I had a few questions regarding my booking. So I called Orbitz. I am sure you can check record. My questions was about how to use your app to book cars and additional coverage. All I needed was just simple answers. When I called immediately customer rep was rude and blamed me for taking up his time. Then he refused to explain and hang up.

I called again and asked the same questions. Customer representative refused to explain on the grounds that I called before and got all explanations. His name was Wiliam. I asked for a manager and did not transfer me. Disconnected again. After that I thought what if any issues will arise during my trip and I will have to deal with such service? I canceled my reservation and considering booking through different agency with better customer service. I would not have canceled if I just received simple explanation. It's the worst experience I have had in years. I will stay away from Orbitz even if the price is higher on different websites.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Checking rates for a hotel, I was led into a multi-level bait and switch operation. They quoted rates and then refused to let me use them. They offered coupon codes but no place to enter them. They promised no credit card required, and of course they required cc prepayment. They overcharged on Travel Insurance. Customer Care lied to me. And their Travel Insurance basically guaranteed you the room you just paid for....so they take your money for a so-called discount price and you have to pay extra to be certain they didn't rip you off. That's chutzpah!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I had an airline credit to be used before July, 2019. I had two phone conversations and an email confirming the same. I booked a flight to London, UK on May 4. I received an email travel document. I also received a second email stating the flight details were below - with no details below. I called twice and sent two more emails to confirm my flight. A grand total of 12 HOURS were spent on hold/talking to people/getting referred to supervisors ~ only to find out they had never issued the ticket, and wanted to argue with me AGAIN over my flight credit, despite having email documentation FROM THEM for the credit, and the newly booked flight.

I am now out 460$ USD due to their incompetence, plus the cost of a full last minute flight with another company. My travel date was 3 days from now and they did not try to remedy their numerous mistakes. I would be happy to change this review with follow up and right action by ORBITZ, but as it is now I will not be using them again, will be posting this review anywhere I am able, and will be warning my friends and family.

Original review: May 14, 2019

When buying “cancellation” insurance, know that if you buy a package that has differing airlines; one for departure and one for return and the departure airline cancels their flight, you will have no recourse for the money you’ll be out upon the forced cancellation of your returning flight. Follow this: bought a package from Orbitz that included a departure flight with American and a return with Delta. American ended up canceling our departing flight due to weather. In turn we had to cancel our returning flight with Delta - never got to our destination. American did refund us our tickets, but Delta did not. I had bought “cancellation” insurance only to find out this cancellation reason is NOT covered. So, beware of this “fine” print. Orbitz didn’t exactly spell this out when they suggested I buy cancellation insurance.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I purchased last week RT tickets from Orbitz. I was sent a confirmation email soon thereafter. A few days later I took my departure flight, while at the hotel the night before I was to return I checked the same email and noticed there was not a return flight attached. I checked my trash and spam and found no notice for my return flight. I tried calling Orbitz and waited for over 30 minutes. No one would answer the phone!! After checking my email and calling the airline I departed with, they — Jet Blue, knew nothing about my return flight. So, I booked a return flight home costing me an additional $67.

During my route home I received an email from Alaska Airline telling me one leg of my return flight has been cancelled, and I would need to contact them to make different arrangements. This blew me away. The flight I was suppose to return on finally gives me notice well after the departure time, but then cancellation one last leg of my trip home. Total bull crap!!! I call Orbitz, this time someone answers. I tell them my problem, he tries to blow me off, I got real mad by this time. He put me on hold and then eventually hung up on me. I called again, this time a young lady took my call and eventually got me in touch with a lady named Lace. We discussed the matter, she then sent me an email requesting a screen shot of the original email and evidence of a new flight. This I did within an hour.

Tonight I got an email from Orbitz stating they did nothing wrong in their system and they can’t refund me my flight. I immediately responded with “show me your email with the departure information”. My email was sent back with an error message. I tried emailing Lace, and the same thing happened. Orbitz is turning out to be a crap site who appears to only be concerned about the money. They clearly screwed up on this one and simply don’t want to evidence to me they sent out all information. As long as this matter is not resolved, I will never use this cheap site ever again!!!

Original review: May 11, 2019

Booked a flight it was to be on Delta, received the email details 28 hrs later half the flight on Delta and the other half on United. By the way you have to cancel in 24 hrs. They admitted there was a computer glitch. Was on the phone 4 hrs, with their people. To correct the error was going to cost them. In the end they would not help!

Orbitz expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

• Best for: Budget, domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs