Orbitz

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been using Orbitz for 15 years and have made several reservations on this site. Today, I made a hotel reservation (Itinerary # **) where I put the wrong date by mistake. I realized this and called back within 5 minutes. First, I got transferred around for 15 minutes. Then, I had to speak with a "supervisor" (Jade) who told me she was going to call me back shortly. This never happened and then I called back again. This time I was kept on hold for 56 minutes. I dialed again and got in touch with Kim (another supervisor!) and he told me that they cannot make the change due to the reservation policy. I don't think I have ever had any company not able to understand an error and make changes that are reported within 5 minutes. Never ever use this service again!!!

In 2016, I booked a domestic flight through Orbitz totaling $402.20. I had to cancel my flight and received a credit voucher for $252.60 that had to be used by April 28, 2017 with one leg of the trip being with Delta. It was only worth a little more than half of my original ticket, but I was grateful to receive something back. On February 5th, I found a $205 domestic flight to which I wanted to apply the credit. The credit was not automatically on my account, so I had to call. When I called, they informed me I would be charged a $200 rebooking fee... meaning that my credit voucher was really only worth $52.60. I find it unacceptable that I had to pay a $200 fee to use my $252.60 credit voucher. Although this situation was not covered under Orbitz travel insurance, I had purchased it for $29.00. I will not be using Orbitz again.

Tried to book a roundtrip flight, but Orbitz denied my purchase every time. Checked my bank account and there are 3 separate pending charges for over $350 each, plus one charge for $25 for the flight assurance I elected to have. I waited a little bit for a confirmation email, or anything really, but nothing came. Then I tried to call customer service. There is no easy way to talk to a real person, and the first time I managed to get connected to someone, they hung up on me. I know I was connected because I could hear voices in the background.

The second time I was connected, no one greeted me or acknowledged me. She just let me sit there, until I finally said "Hello?" a few times. She quickly said "Oh you can hear me now!", like I couldn't hear anything before. When I told her what was going on, she first told me she didn't see any charges. She deleted the $25 charge without telling me (I have screenshots to prove it), but kept questioning the other charges. Finally she admitted she saw them, and said there was nothing she could do and that I'd have to call my bank and cancel the charges myself. She then asked if I wanted to book the flight now, which I said I couldn't because they had my money on hold. She got snippy with me and then repeated that I needed to call my bank. NEVER using Orbitz again!

Last year I was attempting to purchase a flight on Orbitz website when the page timed out and I was asked to select another flight. I did and disputed the initial flight charge with my credit card company (Chase) which won the dispute with Orbitz. Orbitz then came after me and sent the amount of the ticket $282.20 to a collections agency without notifying me and have told me I need to work with the collections agency regarding this matter.

We booked Orbitz to DC. We arrive at hotel after traveling all day at 12:30 AM (two females keep in mind). Orbitz did not send our reservation/itinerary to hotel, customer service was closed, hotel felt so bad for us they let us stay. We spent 1.5 hours on phone the next day with Orbitz who lied saying they were on the phone with the hotel when we were up there at the front desk, overcharged us, would not refund us anything, did not seem to care, and refused to pay ANYTHING or admit they messed up. We never found out the problem or why they did not send our reservation. If the hotel had not had an extra room for us it would have been nowhere to go.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

I booked a cruise for two for Feb. 2017 via Orbitz Cruises. They booked my airfare out of EWR TO FLL and the return as well... I booked at the end of September. Nov 26 was the cut-off for cancellation with zero fees. Our plans changed and therefore had to cancel... I called the "cruise specialist" Maria **, who I had been dealing with throughout this whole booking, which was several hours. She was wonderful. She canceled and sent me a confirmation. Told me it would take 4 weeks to get my $490 deposit refunded. She then told me I had to pay $100 cancellation fee, which I knew nothing about prior. She told me it was Orbitz's policy. I guess I had no choice. That was Nov 11th.

Today is Jan. 23, 2017 and I have not gotten my refund. I called Orbitz lots of times, to no avail. One occasion after being on the phone 35 mins. for like the third time, a customer service rep told me I was refunded, that he called Princess for me and was told that. We hang up, I go online to my bank and see that the $100 fee that shouldn't have been charged to me to begin with, was refunded... but not my $490. I have called the lovely Maria ** at her direct number several times, emailed her too, but she has never gotten back to me once. Funny, cause when I was booking she was calling me like we were friends.

I tried emailing Orbitz about this problem and the email gets kicked back saying I have to call. How can I call when I am constantly put on hold for 20, 30, 40 mins at a time?? How can such a huge company have these illegal practices and get away with it? Go on BBB too, tons of negative reviews... Anyone have ideas how to get my money back?

I have used Orbitz for many years as my go to booking site. I booked a flight and hotel package to Frankfurt and noticed the next day, on Orbitz, that it was almost $400 cheaper. I submitted a price adjustment claim and was informed I had not supplied enough information to verify my claim. I submitted a second claim with more information and a comment on how disappointing it is that they could not verify information from their site. Again my claim was denied so I sent an email to customer service and received no reply. As others have stated, if you do not require any level of customer support Orbitz is the travel site for you.

So earlier today I was attempting to book 5 plane tickets together for a total of 1826.65. For some reason it said my card declined BUT the money was taken out immediately by Orbitz. I got on no tickets, no email, no nothing. Mind you I've been using Orbitz for 10 years now and never experienced this. So I called Orbitz to be given the runaround, saying they see nothing on their end. Kept asking me for confirmation number when there wasn't one.

Then all of a sudden they were able to transfer me to their specialist, whom all of a sudden is updating their systems in the middle of a work day, and for me to call back in 30 minutes. I asked for a direct number and they gave me a different number. 30 minutes later I called back just to be told the person whom I spoke with earlier made no notes or anything but they would help... of course not... so I get another runaround and 2 hours later they decided to tell me, "Well our department that handles charges just closed. But we will call the bank with you and talk to them."

So I call my bank again and file a claim. All the while Orbitz has said nothing to the bank. Get off the phone with the bank and Orbitz says, "We've done everything we could." So I get pissed off and the lady says, "Ma'am if you are gonna get mad I'm going to disconnect the phone now." Like hello?!?! You just stole $1826.65 from me and you expect me not to be mad?!?! Then she goes on to tell me Orbitz never took the money because it's still pending in my account. I still don't have my money and I just wasted 6 hours trying to figure out why they took my money when they declined it.

Booked a flight and hotel package on orbitz.com for $574.71. Then noticed my credit card was declining and charged twice for $334.28 from Travelocity, $345.78 Expedia and Orbitz charge of $380.82. All I did was browse like everyone else does when they are looking for travel. I called all 3 companies and all I got is someone in another country who knows nothing but one did tell me this happens often and I need to call my CC company. He also told me they are all the same company. Well this has caused for $2,000 in fees and declines and TIME wasted only by getting the runaround. SHUT THEM DOWN!

Worst customer service ever. Would not refer to any site to be used. Would not help any customer even on a family death situation. Not asking for refund just asking for date to be postponed for the same airlines and paying the difference in fare. And still wanted to charge me additional $200 dollars per ticket to make change. When I had paid $97 dollars for two plain tickets. Unacceptable. Worst company ever to work with and give customer in cases of emergency the relieve. Other than keep charging.

I booked an expensive international flight. When completing the booking, I got the message that the booking did not go through and I should try again. I did, and it was declined again. I checked my credit card account and saw that I was charged TWICE for the flight. However, I never got a confirmation from Orbitz. I have maxed out my credit card, and Orbitz has still not refunded me. They argue that they cannot find my itinerary number or flight confirmation, which I never got, but they still charged my credit card. It's been several days now and I can still not use my credit card because of these erroneous charges. Orbitz claims "unusual high volume" of customer messages. I researched and saw that this has happened to other customers as well. Clearly, Orbitz has an issue at their end. People need to know this and stay away from Orbitz until they can clear up their problems.

Orbitz provides no value. I'm not going to waste too much time on this, but in short, Orbitz provides no customer service and no value over booking directly with the provider. Their "customer service" is outsourced internationally and the first three layers (at least) are not empowered to solve problems or do anything more than you yourself could do on the provider's website. Getting to someone who can fix any issues proved too time-consuming for me to do (3+ hours in case 1, 1.5 hours in case 2), and as noted in other comments, involved extended periods of hold and being disconnected multiple times. On the plus side, they have good hold music.

After nearly 20 years as an Orbitz customer, I am no longer going to use Orbitz for anything. Two cases: August 2015: local hotel, booked same day on Orbitz, no record of reservation when checking in. After 3+ hours on the phone with customer service it was clear there was no one empowered or able to resolve the situation, so I paid again onsite. Further email inquiries were never resolved and I wound up paying twice for the reservation. January, 2017: international flight reservation - 4 flights, 2 passengers - called to resolve lack of seat assignments. After 90 minutes on the phone with various levels of management, was told that Orbitz had no ability to work with the airline to confirm seats and that my recourse was going on the airline's website and paying a fee to get a reserved seat, or "getting to the airport extra early" to make sure I get the seat of my choice.

Wasn't notified about delayed flight nor missed connection. Contacted them through their website and was told they always send notifications regarding delayed flights, and to check my spam box. I'd already searched "Orbitz" in all email boxes and the last email received was the confirmation in October. My flights were in Dec. 2016 and Jan. 2017. I asked that they apologize or forward what they were sure they had sent. They then replied that the airline notified me, which it didn't. I won't use a business that refuses to admit that they made an error.

Orbitz has an easy-to-use platform for booking trips. Whether it's a flight, hotel, car or a combination of those things, they make it easy to compare prices, make changes and view options with a user-friendly website.

I booked a vacation for two with Orbitz to the Dominican for one week and paid US $3,200. My girlfriend and I broke up, and I decided to cancel the trip. Well, they could only refund my hotel and give me a voucher for the air fare under my name. I said, "What about my girlfriend's air fare?" "Oh sorry, only she can get the credit voucher and we can't refund you the money." I told them that I paid for the airfare and not her so it was my money they were keeping. Now I am out US $900. Talk about a scam! Will never use Orbitz again! Stay away from this company. They are ripoff artists and will steal from you. Their insurance isn't worth the paper it is written on as they don't honor it.

Purchased one night accommodation at a hotel in called Clarion Suites Gateway, Melbourne for the 5th Nov 2016 through a website called trivago.com.au (as I have done many times before). Received an email confirmation from Orbitz confirming the price for the room being $436.72, along with any additional room charges that may occur, all presented in AUD. Small disclaimer at the bottom that "Unless specified otherwise, rates are quoted in US dollars".

I did not think anything of this as the AUD currency was specified. After my stay at the hotel, I noticed that on my credit card statement, I was charged $581.92. Upon contacting Orbitz, they argued that unless I could prove that they originally advertised the price in AUD, they had no obligation to refund the difference. I then contacted my bank to dispute the charge. I was told today that I was unsuccessful.

I would really appreciate any help or direction to take this further. I have used the trivago website many times before without any problem. My computer always automatically connects to the Australian Trivago site (trivago.com.au). I have also tried to contact Trivago directly but there doesn't seem to be any contact number at all.

I was simply trying to book a hotel room for the same day. When I received the text for confirmation and realized that it had booked me for a date 3 weeks away I immediately called Orbitz to see about correcting the problem. The Orbitz operator checked with the motel and said they could not cancel the booking (I had not paid the additional money for free cancellation because I didn't see the need-I was booking for the same day) but that they could offer me an upgraded room (one bed instead of two) for the difference in the upgrade price. He immediately asked if I would agree to this. I responded by stating that I needed to know what type of room was "upgraded" and what the difference in price was.

He repeatedly stated his offer to upgrade and would not tell me the difference in price until I specifically asked several times. Once I found out that the room only had one bed and the price was twice what my original reservation was for I told him to cancel my reservations and that I guess I would be out the original reservation fee. I finally hung up on him, something I DO NOT do because he would not end the conversation, just kept repeating "one king-sized bed at the upgraded price, I can book that right now for you". I called the motel directly when my credit card was charged two times plus another small fee that was not a booking fee. The double charge is still on my card 3 days later. I will never use Orbitz again. 2 desk clerks have told me they steer people away from Orbitz due to multiple incidences of this nature.

I just wish I had visited this page before I decided to book my ticket. I am extremely dissatisfied that I didn't even want to give then a star. Normally I am not the type of person that would take the time to write any reviews but I just wanted share comment in a nutshell here so that whoever is reading this will not become a victim of what I had to go through.

If there are no issues with your flight and just inquiring about your flight itinerary you probably would not think Orbitz is as bad as the reviews say it is. However, if you were to experience any trouble with your bookings, you will expect chaos, hours and hours on the phone, with the phone line disconnecting quite frequently and not getting a call back from their representative. Which means you will be repeating your situation over and over again to different representatives without a resolution. If you are persistent with your calling and lucky that the call doesn't drop, you may reach the manager of the operation but even then they are not very helpful. All in all, I regret using their service and will never use them again for any bookings.

I am a seasoned traveler and booking online. Despite that found with Orbitz you should not expect support after the booking; none unless you have endless hours to spend being transferred and providing info to only never get resolved.

I had to change the return leg of a flight to the following day, travelling from Perth (Western Australia) to Sydney. The change fee Orbitz charge is $68. They also charge the difference in flight costs, which is OK. However, the total cost of changing the flight (change fee + difference) was higher than the cost of booking the exact same flight anew through Orbitz. This was a blatant rip-off. The so-called "customer support" person I spoke to was really bad. I ended up booking the flight through another airline, and lost the amount I had paid for the canceled leg of the flight.

The thing about dealing with Orbitz is that things don't always go smoothly. Sometimes it may not be the fault of Orbitz, but when it happens, they are not just useless. They are dysfunctional as a matter of standard operating procedure. Once your reservation has problems, they will not provide the resources to take care of you. Dealing directly with the service provider is the way to go. Companies like Orbitz make their money with algorithms, not customer service. So, buyer beware.

I purchased travel insurance through Orbitz. As it turned out, my mother (who I was going to visit) passed away. Well as it turns out the insurance only covers the booking fees - it took 3 hours on the phone with 3 different agents to find this out. THE INSURANCE OFFERING WAS INCREDIBLY MISLEADING ON THE ORBITZ SITE!!! (I hope everybody reading this is understanding this). At the end of this experience I paid $86 to cover just the re-booking fees. I did get airline credits from 2 different airlines that expire in 1 year (and I will never use anyway). Shame on ORBITZ for being complicit with such a misleading sham.

I had booked a roundtrip flight from South America to the US using Orbitz. Four different flights on two different airlines were involved. One airline canceled one flight. It took almost 10 hours on the phone (time stamped conversations with Skype) and many e-mails to resolve the matter with Orbitz staff who all speak and write English as a second language. Email responses are all cut-and-paste. In one they acknowledged that they didn't have enough staff to resolve complaints by e-mail. In another they forgot to make even cursory revisions to the text and the previous complainant was identified in the salutation.

I tried to book an international flight for ~1100. When I tried to check out, my card got declined. After the 5th try, I was able to book my flight. Upon confirmation, it showed that my card was charged ~2500 instead. I called immediately stating the fact the amount it showed was ~1100 which they confirmed. However they claimed that the price changed while I am processing my check out. However my page did not show the change until I check out. They were in NO desire to help at this time except to apologize and try to call me a liar. I have been on the phone with them for >2 hours now without any HELP whatsoever. I have used Orbitz for many years and never had to deal with customer service before. However this is unacceptable. IT'S STEALING!!!

Well, seems like many have the issue I had. I purchased insurance when I booked my flight and hotel package, in the event of cancellation. I had to cancel and all Orbitz will tell me is that I can schedule another trip within a year, which is the same thing Delta offered without any insurance purchased and their vacation waiver terms do not specify this policy at all, they actually imply a refund for cancellation. So all they do is make some money off their customers for no insurance offered at all. Keep away if possible.

I'll open by admitting that I made a mistake. I accidentally booked a flight to NYC in the PM when it was supposed to be the morning flight. Luckily, I purchased insurance in case I needed to make any changes. I called Orbitz, rescheduled a completely new flight to and from, and was told I had a credit on a future flight totaling about $547. This is where it turns rotten... I was told there would be a penalty fee. I had to use my credit before a year from the date I originally purchased the tickets (6 months left). AND I had FOUR days (Dec. 3rd.) to reschedule or lose the total credit. I called Dec. 2nd with plans... I'll use my credit to take my Wife to Vegas for a Birthday weekend. On the Orbitz site, I found the the right dates, the right flight, hotel and car. I was told to call customer support when I made my decision...

The Fine Print; My credit of $547 is now $347. What I thought would be a "penalty fee" of maybe $10 or $20 is a HUNDRED DOLLARS per ticket! I can't use my flight credit on any other airlines than originally purchased (JetBlue). OK, my United flight to Vegas with a travel time of 4 hours from SW Florida just turned into a FOURTEEN hour flight! If you fly JetBlue, you better be flying to BOSTON. Would you like to fly SW Florida to Phoenix? SW Florida to Las Vegas? SW Florida to Denver? How about a simple flight from SW Florida to Richmond, VA??? You have to fly to Boston first then hop on another flight BACKWARDS! I have just lost $547.00. I warn you... Buyer beware! I, personally, will NEVER do business with Orbitz OR JetBlue again.

I purchased a flight+hotel+rental car deal from Orbitz. After I paid for it, I purchased an additional car rental then canceled it after few minutes by calling Orbitz customer service line. Then I noticed in the email received from Orbitz that the rental car wasn't included as it was in the deal. I called customer service. First Rep. hanged off the phone on me. Second one and his supervisor were friendly, but didn't solve the problem although I sent the supervisor a screenshot of the deal, and the deal was available while I was talking to her. Then I asked her to transfer me to the manager.

She did after long waiting, whoever talked to me after the supervisor told me, after I asked for her name, she said her name is Sonya **, who wasn't friendly at all. She didn't solve the problem and she told me that she is an Incorporate customer service Rep. But when I told her that I was supposed to talk to the manager, she said that she is the supervisor's manager! She also said that the screenshot that I sent is modified by Photoshop and not true! I asked her to check the deal online which was still available on Orbitz site during our conversation but no respond, and finally when I asked for her email to send the proof, she gave me this address for any legal action: **. This was really bad experience Orbitz!

Worst customer service ever!! I have had to call Orbitz 10 times and issue is still not resolved and flight is in 2 days. All of these calls have been over an hour long including a 5 hour long call. I needed to change my name on the flight ticket to my maiden name to match my passport. After all the calls and different answers from different supervisors they said they were not able to change it. So I traveled 6 hours away to get a same day passport made under my married name. After this exhausting day I called them to tell them I got my passport changed just to make sure they didn't end up changing it to my maiden. Guess what, 2 days later I check Delta because of course I don't trust Orbitz and of course they changed my name to my maiden!

So now I'm on the phone with them again for 3 hours with all different supervisors that can barely understand English!!! So first they lied they couldn't change my name and then they end up changing it after I changed my passport and specifically told them not to anymore! Wow!! This is the biggest nightmare to deal with this company! I still don't know what will happen or how many more calls I will have to make and how much hold time and transfers from one incompetent worker to the next!! Nobody seems to know what they are doing.

If I could give negative stars to them I would. Pretty much the same story as everyone else. I booked a vacation package with some co-workers to attend another co-worker's wedding. We purchased the insurance. SCAM alert!!! Ultimately the wedding was called off. The flights were non-refundable, non-transferable so we each lost over $1250. We were refunded the $155 each for the 4 days hotel. Despite the insurance saying "you or your group can cancel 1 time for any reason" they fine print you into a BS medical reason and steal your money. Never EVER pay for this insurance. Also stay far far away from ORBITZ. Book directly with the airlines if possible, many offer packages. I wish there was more I could do to prevent people from getting scammed by ORBITZ. Don't be fooled, they trade the phone around when you ask for a supervisor. Total garbage.

Thankfully my hotel accidentally charged me for my room in addition to Orbitz's charges... That's how I found out that Orbitz had overcharged me by $47. When I called to complain, I was informed there is no low price guarantee and since I agreed to pay the amount they originally charged, there was nothing they could do. Orbucks are a joke unless you use enough to get your room free. They make sure to absorb them in the price of the room. The hotel had no knowledge of my Orbucks and they still charged me less than Orbitz did.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.
  • Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.
  • Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.
  • Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.
  • Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.
  • Best for Budget, domestic and international travelers.

Compare Travel Sites