2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

3.7/5 (1065 ratings)

About Orbitz

Orbitz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

My flight was cancelled through the airline due to COVID a while back and Orbitz gave me instructions and timeline to rebook. (First of all it was only a partial refund which should have been my first red flag but I figured that came from the airline). I went to rebook this last week, going off of their instructions, and they “didn’t have any record of the transaction”. It was completely removed from my account. I provided email documentation and screenshots of the instructions to rebook, with screenshots of the same reference numbers I already gave them in the chat. They then magically found it, and tried to charge me $3200 (not a typo, literally over three grand) more than the itinerary showed on their site when I searched.

They told me this was the only way the voucher was valid, or I could book without the voucher (for $650…. My voucher’s $540 so it should have covered most of the cost). I reached out to the airline directly and they have no record of the ticket I bought in their system, and redirected me to Orbitz. Orbitz is staying firm that to use my “credit” I must purchase the $3850 version of the itinerary they are offering me. I’ve been going in circles with them for over a week with no resolution. I clearly wasted hundreds of dollars on my original ticket. Hopefully sharing my experience will help others avoid the same situation.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I book airline tickets from Orbitz and earned $68. I couldn’t utilize due to COVID and lockdown. My earned money $68 gone. It is not fair. No customer service and I tried 25 times and failed to contact them.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

You guys will not get great reviews from me. Someone I was supposed to travel had Covid. I couldn't leave. They couldn't leave cause we wouldn't get on the damn flight anyways! And you guys didn't wanna refund me my money! I will never let friends family to order from you guys tickets or trips. Declined me 6 times! When I called said you would email me to update me. No one ever did. 6 times I tried!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I booked a hotel about 2 months in advance of our travel. Paid at that time. Upon arrival I was told that three days after I booked and paid Orbitz canceled my reservation. They kept the $900 dollars. I paid again, slightly more and when I returned home I contacted orbitz customer service and they let me know I was on my own. Will never use orbitz or any of the Expedia group services again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I booked a family trip to the Dominican Republic 3 months in advance. Orbit failed to provide seats on the flight. The day before the trip, I received an email to pre-check in, there were no seats available. The only way I could get seats was if I paid $89 extra per seats. I spent 2.5 hours trying to solve the issue. I was promised a phone call from the Supervisor at 9:45 pm, and the flight was departing at 7:15 am the next day. After 2.5 hours if being on the phone, I was told by customer service representative that I needed to call the airline directly since they just sell the tickets. Needless to say, I never heard from the Supervisor.

I ended up calling United Airlines directly and they were able to accommodate us. My family and I are currently on vacation now, but are concerned if we will have assigned seats to return home. When speaking with the customer service representative, I questioned the purpose of their company if they are selling a product that they cannot deliver. I was utterly frustrated and will never purchase airline tickets through a third party. To add insult to injury, I received an email asking "how was your check-in." Shame on you Orbitz.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

By far the worst company ever you can deal with. Beware. They are scammer. Customer service are useless and will make your experience worse. They do not care about anything. They scammed me for car rental and I will never use them again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

If possible try to avoid booking hotel reservations through a 3rd party if you can. In this case, I used Orbitz.com and I have been using Orbitz since 2002. This was the first time I ran into this issue, and right now I'm in the hole ~$5000 USD with no guarantee I will get that money back. I booked 4 rooms in June for a trip in July: 24th-Aug 1st 2021. This was a prepaid booking but on the reservation it says, "free cancellation by July 23rd, 2021." Naturally, because of COVID, plans changed so I needed to cancel 1 room and change the dates of the reservation on the remaining 3 rooms.

I called on July 10th, initially to the hotel who said "we cannot change this reservation bc it was booked through a 3rd party, so you'll have to call them." So I called Orbitz on July 10th (14 days before the reservation). They were able to cancel one reservation and edit the dates on 2 of the three reservations. I got refunded for those changes within 10 days. But the 4th change didn't get done bc of a computer/system issue. I was told I would get a call back within 48 hours. I never got a call back.

I called Orbitz again on July 20th to change the 4th reservation. I was told at that time to rebook (at a higher price) for the dates I needed and trust that they would be able to cancel the 4th room on the previous itinerary. I rebooked the room for my needed dates and the agent ran into the same problem: she couldn't cancel the previous reservation. She gave me lots of reassurances that this would be sorted and I would get my refund and to call back in 72 hours. I called again on July 24th, now the start of the reservation for the room that should have been canceled 14 days before. I was told that all of the complications were documented so I should get a refund for the room that was not canceled bc of a computer glitch and to give Orbitz another 72 hours to handle this issue. Still not done.

I called for the 4th time during the intended reservation on July 30th. I called at 1pm on a Thursday in the US, but the agent was located abroad and it was 9pm over there so I was told "there is no supervisor here at this time bc it is 9pm and you should call back during business hours." I called at 1PM on a Thursday in the US -- as far as I'm concerned those ARE business hours. Since I had no means of escalating further, I had to hang up and give them another 72 hours. So I called on Aug 2nd and again on Aug 7th -- now the reservation is over. I was never able to cancel the room through Orbitz. The agent at Orbitz now tells me "can you call the hotel and explain this situation and see if they'll refund you?" WHAT?! NO, the hotel told me that they couldn't cancel the reservation bc it was booked through a 3rd party!

Orbitz already charged me for the room and gave me assurances that the room was fully refundable if I called before July 23rd -- I had been calling since July 10th to get this sorted! Orbitz now tells me "we have to call the hotel and see if they'll refund us for a room you never used and if they refund us, we'll refund you." So now you're saying there's a chance I won't get my refund for a computer issue that is YOUR issue. There's never a solution posed, just more reassurances "that it will be fixed, trust me."

I didn't even include the number of times the calls to an Orbitz agent were disconnected. They ask you for your call back number at the start of the call, but they never actually call you back if the line gets disconnected. I called one more time 2 days ago and was told "please give us another 72 hours and if you don't get an email or call from us about this issue, give us a call back."

I have been using Orbitz for 20 years, but now never again. And I will warn ANYONE who asks me about this situation. I'm including the hotel in this bc they also are part of the problem. Naples Grande Beach Resort could easily cancel and refund the money to the 3rd party when it is within the bounds of their own cancellation policy, but they choose to send you on this wild goose chase bc this is how they make money. So watch out!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I have used Orbitz for flight reservations for years but recently have had very negative experience with customer service which has been (without exception) outsourced to other countries with call takers that are hard to understand and don't seem to know their job very well. In some instances the background noise in the call center is so LOUD you can't hear the person you are dealing with. I didn't get the email for my flight reservation and it wasn't listed on my Trips on the Orbitz website. When I called I was Shuttled to someone in India(?) who gave me the wrong infornation. I had to call the airline to FINALLY talk to someone who speaks English (that I can understand and knows their job), for the correct information..and got the correct info about the flight.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I booked a "cheap" flight through Orbitz, thinking I was getting a great deal. A round trip for $291.70. My (return) flight was cancelled, I had to book another flight to return home that cost me $588.70 alone. It was a nightmare, I had to stand in line for 6 hours to claim a refund from the airline (Spirit). When I checked my credit card I had a charge for $291.97 from the airline and a second charge for $290.70 from Orbitz. That flight ended up being more expensive than if I had booked with the airline directly.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

This is become totally fraudulent business. After so many years being your loyal customer, I recently purchased four business class tickets to Europe round trip with insurance. About 10 days before flight I got notification that airline cancelled my tickets. I was on the long call with customer support and after while I was promised full refund. Yes, I received my tickets price back, but I didn't get my insurance money back, $647 is not couple dollars, why I should pay insurance for something that was cancelled not by me and didn't get compensated. This is absolutely ridiculous and I will fight for this money and I will tell everyone that Orbitz is fraud.

Orbitz author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

Orbitz Company Information