1.20/5

Looking for a travel site?

1119 Orbitz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 7, 2019

Last November 2018, I booked with Orbitz for 3 consecutive nights (each night in separate city - Buffalo, NY, Syracuse, NY and Boston, MA). A day before my intended travel, there were thunderstorms, snow and people got stuck for 11 hr on the road, in short there was a weather catastrophe. Since the roads were difficult the next day as there were still vehicles to be cleared all the way to Niagara Falls, I asked Orbitz for a cancellation of all 3 nights (despite having a non-refundable) reservation and they granted me my request with a full refund.

Last Friday (April 2019), I booked a trip to Milan and an hour after a confirmed booking, I checked other bookings sites to see if I got a fair deal, if not better, and found out that another site was offering my same trip for $30+ lower. I researched on Orbitz price guarantee and found out that they have this feature/offer so I requested for a refund and several hours after, I got a confirmation email that they will refund me the difference plus $50 in Orbucks. I been booking flights/hotels with them for maybe 10 years now for myself and other family members and did not encounter any problem. I have also been using their reward features which give me Orbucks every time I booked and shop. Had booked with or without travel insurance but did not get a chance to avail of the benefits so I could not say anything about that.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Accurate information on room and amenities. Enjoyed most of the stays. Staff was helpful and available. Good location to our event. Breakfast adequate. Clean room. Comfortable bed and felt secure at the hotel.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Overall simple to use. I use Orbitz for all of my travel plans and the whole process was fairly easy. You can search multiple days for cheapest flights and getting extra services like wheelchairs and escort.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I have been using Orbitz for many times and for different things like hotels flights and cars. Recently I booked a car on your website. Itinerary number **. I had a few questions regarding my booking. So I called Orbitz. I am sure you can check record. My questions was about how to use your app to book cars and additional coverage. All I needed was just simple answers. When I called immediately customer rep was rude and blamed me for taking up his time. Then he refused to explain and hang up.

I called again and asked the same questions. Customer representative refused to explain on the grounds that I called before and got all explanations. His name was Wiliam. I asked for a manager and did not transfer me. Disconnected again. After that I thought what if any issues will arise during my trip and I will have to deal with such service? I canceled my reservation and considering booking through different agency with better customer service. I would not have canceled if I just received simple explanation. It's the worst experience I have had in years. I will stay away from Orbitz even if the price is higher on different websites.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I had an airline credit to be used before July, 2019. I had two phone conversations and an email confirming the same. I booked a flight to London, UK on May 4. I received an email travel document. I also received a second email stating the flight details were below - with no details below. I called twice and sent two more emails to confirm my flight. A grand total of 12 HOURS were spent on hold/talking to people/getting referred to supervisors ~ only to find out they had never issued the ticket, and wanted to argue with me AGAIN over my flight credit, despite having email documentation FROM THEM for the credit, and the newly booked flight.

I am now out 460$ USD due to their incompetence, plus the cost of a full last minute flight with another company. My travel date was 3 days from now and they did not try to remedy their numerous mistakes. I would be happy to change this review with follow up and right action by ORBITZ, but as it is now I will not be using them again, will be posting this review anywhere I am able, and will be warning my friends and family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: May 14, 2019

When buying “cancellation” insurance, know that if you buy a package that has differing airlines; one for departure and one for return and the departure airline cancels their flight, you will have no recourse for the money you’ll be out upon the forced cancellation of your returning flight. Follow this: bought a package from Orbitz that included a departure flight with American and a return with Delta. American ended up canceling our departing flight due to weather. In turn we had to cancel our returning flight with Delta - never got to our destination. American did refund us our tickets, but Delta did not. I had bought “cancellation” insurance only to find out this cancellation reason is NOT covered. So, beware of this “fine” print. Orbitz didn’t exactly spell this out when they suggested I buy cancellation insurance.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I purchased last week RT tickets from Orbitz. I was sent a confirmation email soon thereafter. A few days later I took my departure flight, while at the hotel the night before I was to return I checked the same email and noticed there was not a return flight attached. I checked my trash and spam and found no notice for my return flight. I tried calling Orbitz and waited for over 30 minutes. No one would answer the phone!! After checking my email and calling the airline I departed with, they — Jet Blue, knew nothing about my return flight. So, I booked a return flight home costing me an additional $67.

During my route home I received an email from Alaska Airline telling me one leg of my return flight has been cancelled, and I would need to contact them to make different arrangements. This blew me away. The flight I was suppose to return on finally gives me notice well after the departure time, but then cancellation one last leg of my trip home. Total bull crap!!! I call Orbitz, this time someone answers. I tell them my problem, he tries to blow me off, I got real mad by this time. He put me on hold and then eventually hung up on me. I called again, this time a young lady took my call and eventually got me in touch with a lady named Lace. We discussed the matter, she then sent me an email requesting a screen shot of the original email and evidence of a new flight. This I did within an hour.

Tonight I got an email from Orbitz stating they did nothing wrong in their system and they can’t refund me my flight. I immediately responded with “show me your email with the departure information”. My email was sent back with an error message. I tried emailing Lace, and the same thing happened. Orbitz is turning out to be a crap site who appears to only be concerned about the money. They clearly screwed up on this one and simply don’t want to evidence to me they sent out all information. As long as this matter is not resolved, I will never use this cheap site ever again!!!

Original review: May 11, 2019

Booked a flight it was to be on Delta, received the email details 28 hrs later half the flight on Delta and the other half on United. By the way you have to cancel in 24 hrs. They admitted there was a computer glitch. Was on the phone 4 hrs, with their people. To correct the error was going to cost them. In the end they would not help!

Original review: May 8, 2019

I booked a package for three people to go to Vegas for three nights with flight and hotel. I thought well just in case I got the Insurance Protection Plan. Little did I know a couple weeks later I found out I was pregnant. I called Orbitz to cancel the package and was told that that the insurance did not cover the flights and that they were non-refundable. I got a credit on the flights to Vegas, however, I would have to pay a $60 rebooking fee PER ticket. The flights coming back would be refunded if I could give a certificate from my doctor that I was not able to fly. I will never use the company again! What was the point of paying for the insurance if it did not do anything?! The hotel I could cancel at any time without the insurance.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I had to cancel a trip due to illness in September. I had purchased trip insurance and called to make sure I could use the airfare credit at a later date. I was told on the phone that I had one year to use the credit but when I tried to claim the credit for a future trip the following September I was told it was only good for a year from the date of purchase!!! I should have been told this when I cancelled the trip but I was ASSURED it was good for a year from the date of trip. I will never go through them again.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Very bad experience. Due to my husband deployment we had to cancel/postpone his fly ticket. You will think that paying extra for Orbitz and having a protection/cancelation plan, you will have more flexibility but in reality is not like that. They will never refund your money and also they will charge you extra when you will use the credit points or for any additional transaction. In our case, the British Airlines contacted them, asking for a military clause and the Orbitz refused any cooperation or collaboration with them. So, when my husband got back from the deployment, after 6 months, we've tried to use the voucher to reschedule the trip.

That was a joke, they offered us just very expensive ticket, additional fees, and a lot a time consuming on the phone with no results. The operators are very slow, the average time for each transaction is between 2 and 4 hours. They repeatedly will verbalize, “Thank you for your patience” but will not help you. I asked to talk with a supervisor and they just changed the operator that offered us the same resolution. My advice, especially for the military families DON'T USE THEM.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I purchased the Flight Protection Cancellation Plan for a r/t flight through Orbitz and had to cancel for medical reasons. At that time I received a credit voucher of only $181.20 for a trip that cost $365.51! How did they arrive at that number? But it gets worse - the reps said I would have to pay a $200 rebooking fee to cash in the voucher on another trip. Pay an additional $200 to access $181.20?? I'm so angry that I paid for a trip I couldn't take, with a "Travel Protection Cancellation Plan" that does not pay out when you do, in fact, cancel a flight with a covered condition as clearly stated in the terms of the policy. There were no caveats or cautions explained on the website when I booked the flight, and the least they can do is reimburse me for the damn $26 premium I paid for "travel insurance". This is a swindle and I will not be fooled again.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I had an awful travel experience traveling from Des Moines Iowa to Burlington Vermont. I had a connecting flight from Philadelphia to DSM on the return which I missed due to air traffic control issues (??). I had to spend the night in a very awful hotel (which I had to pay for) and I barely got on the next day to the next flight home. I called ORBITZ to complain and left a message to call me back and they never called me back. I will never use this crappy service again.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I booked a hotel via Orbitz and paid for travel insurance. I was within the cancellation dates when I asked to shorten the duration of the stay from 9 nights to 6 nights. They refused. I will never ever book via Orbitz ever ever again. How is this legal?

Original review: April 7, 2019

Business Traveller Leaving ORBITZ for good reason. I used Orbitz many times over a period of years with no issues. Then I apparently accidentally booked a flight at the wrong time in error (I selected flight with wrong AM/PM). I noticed the problem on a confirmation email the day before my travel. There were plenty of flights that would work still available. Orbitz would not work with the airlines to switch my flight. They just wanted to rebook an additional flight. If I had booked through the airline or any other firm, they would transfer the flight to another flight.

Resolution response: April 5, 2019

Received confirmation numbers today finally!

Original review: April 4, 2019

I purchased airline tickets from Los Angeles to Phuket back in December. Received confirmation, paid, etc. Then Orbitz called back and said that the flight I paid for was overbooked. Fine. They gave me two choices for either a 2 hour long layover in Shanghai or a 12 hour layover. I chose the 2 hour. They then called the next day and said that they made a mistake and 2 hours won't be long enough, so I said, "That's fine, put me on the flight with a 12 hour layover." It is now April and I am a week away from leaving and they called to let me know they're working on it, but cannot confirm me on this new flight that THEY asked me to change to! I leave in a week! I wish I could give them negative stars. Please save yourselves the headache (and possibly thousands of dollars I will be out for nonrefundable hotels and rental car) and book elsewhere.

Original review: March 30, 2019

DO NOT BUY THEIR "TRAVEL INSURANCE". It is a scam. They will not refund you under any circumstances unless you are having a life threatening heart condition. I am pregnant and cannot travel due to bedrest. It's a total scam. I not only lost our entire honeymoon but I lost the price of their "travel insurance" as well.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Orbitz put together a package with airport and hotel on two different islands. After 3 hrs I am still on the phone dealing with this. Apparently corporate managers are the only ones to address and they cannot be reached. I do not understand - if your call is being "escalated" how is it helpful to be put on hold for so long? I learned the hard way how Orbitz thinks about its customers- they don't. Very disheartening.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Book trip from Orbitz? Don't. Stay away from them. Be aware, you must be 100% certain you wouldn't miss, or change flights. When at any of those uncertain events happen, Orbitz agent will take those opportunity to profit from their customers. And Orbitz's trip insurance when you purchased the tickets along? That was a shame, they refuse to honor their policy.

I missed my flight this morning, and when I called Orbitz, they claimed the insurance only worked when you missed flight because you were sick. I told them, that was the case. Orbitz immediately sent me this email; told me "Unfortunately, we couldn't process your request **." And to help me change the flight? I spoke to three different agents, I got three different versions of cost. Since Orbitz's agent not much of helps, I called airlines. Since there were three airline involved, there were additional charge of penalty and fair difference from all three. It is just better to buy it directly from airline.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Didn’t get the room I paid for: Use Expedia, not Orbitz. A group of 18 of my friends and I, mostly middle aged, booked the exact same trip. Some used Orbitz and some used Expedia. We all booked Superior Oceanfront rooms. Expedia customers got them. Orbitz customers did not. I contacted Orbitz right away, and they were no help at all. Use Expedia! And tell all your friends. :)

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I, like so many others bought travel insurance for a flight from Birmingham to Kalispell, MT. I went online to Orbitz website and bought a ticket for my son who serves in the Army. Because my son is in the Army and things can change in a second I thought insurance was wise. Orbitz constantly reminded users on their site that the insurance would cover changes or cancellations. Well, the inevitable happened and I called Orbitz to start the refund process. Alas! That was not going to happen. The woman on the line I called could barely speak English first of all which was aggravating enough but she had a smug and giddy attitude like she was happy to tell me I was screwed. The hoopla Orbitz shoves down your throat is a smoke and mirrors act; nothing more! I am now begging United Airlines to please give me my money back because Orbitz has closed the door in my face. Don’t use Orbitz. You will regret it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

First of all, Orbitz doesn’t even deserve a star period!! But unfortunately I have to give a rating. I have never purchased a flight without travel insurance (because anything can happen) whether through another travel site or straight through the airline. So when I purchased two $292 dollar tickets back in September 2018 and the $40 per person insurance, I just KNEW my purchase would be protected. Unfortunately with Orbitz, if you cancel your flight for any reason other than a medical emergency (has to be documented), death, jury duty or anything like that, you will not get refunded. Plus the fact that I purchased AA flights (which charges a $200 per ticket restocking fee upon cancellation) made matters even worse.

So after an hour on the phone with a representative and then their supervisor, it was agreed upon that I would at least get the $92 per person back (provided I purchase two tickets again on the same airline with the same person within a years time) because this was my first time using Orbitz and I guess they were empathetic this particular time. Well, today I call to redeem my $92 per person using AA for my boyfriend and I and I was greeted with the same foolishness!! Again, I had to talk with a supervisor, explain what I had previously been told and this fool tells me that because I’m trying to book basic economy for this flight instead of the original main cabin I had booked back in September, I wouldn’t be able to use the $92 per person credit because AA doesn’t allow downgrades.

The level of DISGUST & DISDAIN I have for ORBITZ is astronomical!! I hate this company with every fiber of my being!! I lost over $600 on that flight purchase back in September after saving for 3 months for those tickets. They have no empathy for hard working individuals. This company is disgusting. Then the supervisor has the NERVE to tell me that if I purchase the tickets, and something happens where I have to cancel the flight, the exact same scenario will likely occur. I can’t with this company. Please, please, please, heed this warning and DO NOT PURCHASE AIRLINE TICKETS FROM ORBITZ OR AMERICAN AIRLINES!! You will be sorry. TRUST!!??

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

100% scam, you're paying for nothing. Purchased 4 round trip tickets from Detroit to Seattle, now 1 couple cannot go, called to get money back & cancel 2 tickets, they told me they cannot do it due to economy seats. What a joke, not leaving for another 5 months, plenty of time to sell these 2 seats. This company should not be allowed to do business in America. They don’t even deserve 1 star, should have 0 option. Help to put an end to Orbitz, everyone stop using them.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I will never ever use Orbitz again as long as I live. I purchased my Alaska Air itinerary for a whopping 2000 dollars for my family to fly to Ft. Laud from SEA and paid extra for the insurance. As fate would have it, security that morning was a nightmare and I missed my flight as a result. No fault of mine, I was certain that Orbitz would help me or the insurance I paid 200 dollars for would protect me. Boy was I wrong. Orbitz, unbeknownst to me got the "super saver" fair which Alaska refuses to change no matter what. Orbitz also refused to make any change. I was told I would lose my fair while I was still in line in security.

Words cannot express my frustration. $2000 is a lot of money and no flights would be open so late to buy again anyways. Thank God by the skin of my teeth a nice Alaska agent got us on another flight. Orbitz was very clear. My only course of help would be to file a claim with that worthless insurance they sold me. I was told on the phone only in case of death or medical emergency (which I'd have to file a claim for later with documentation) Never again guys. Never!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Orbitz is misleading. Site makes it look like you are purchasing a refundable ticket and insurance on the trip. Tickets are NOT refundable and the insurance will not refund unless your reason is deemed acceptable by them. Dont bother with this site.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I purchased a ticket to fly for my wife and I with American Air through Orbitz. When we arrived American informed us that we had purchased a standby ticket. We had trouble with insurance cancellation that we purchased through Orbitz through Travel Guard. After many documents and much time we were not reimbursed due to some obscure rule. Orbitz would not help us. Will never use ever again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I rented a car through Orbitz to save time at the rental location the day before my wedding, and paid for insurance through Orbitz the arbitrary price of $99. Well Orbitz never sent any info to the rental place, and was unreachable, so I had to rent 'from scratch' which involved waiting 3 hours for a car to be available because Orbitz website of available cars was apparently BS. The delay caused me further financial loss. I had to pay insurance at the rental company, and while my order from Orbitz was never actualized, the scoundrels still charged me $99 for insurance I never used.

When contacting their Customer Service, they told me they can't reach the Rental company and to open a claim. So I opened a claim with AIG through the Orbitz website and after two weeks they reply to tell me to contact customer service...*facepalm*. These useless thieves have profited $99 with no goods or services behind them, thus destroying the value of money, the foundation of capitalism, honesty, and the values which prevent human civilization from destroying itself. If this review can cause Orbitz to lose further business it will have served its purpose.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Yes! Please choose the Manager's special so that we can give you to the crappiest car rental agency there is. And for the added bonus you can't cancel. This is garbage. Now when I get to my destination and they don't have my car, there will be hell to pay.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

We booked a flight/hotel package with travel protection. Unfortunately I got hurt during trip and had to come home 5 days early. When I called to change flight they kept me on hold for over an hour so we called airline directly to change flights. When we got home we called Orbitz wanting our change fees and unused hotel days to be compensated since we bought the insurance. We were on the phone for 4 hours and they claimed insurance was only good for pre trip! They refused!!! Do not use Orbitz - terrible customer service and if you have an emergency you're on your own! The travel insurance is a waste of money.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Booked a flight with Orbitz. Purchased the cancellation plan they offer, which I always do but never had to use or should I say tried to use until today. I called to try to receive my refund because I suffered an auto accident and can barely stand the reason for cancellation. Come to find out unless you DIE!!! the cancellation plan DOES NOT APPLY!!!! If anyone has experienced this please tell me your story! I Really want to let everybody know The TRUTH ABOUT ORBITZ SCAM!

Orbitz expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

• Best for: Budget, domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs