2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.03/5

Orbitz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

Made reservations five months in advance at The Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs as it sells out fast. Paid for the suite which was over $300 per night. Drove over 5 hours to get there, and checked in. Our room was a $150 room that was not what we paid for. Went to the front desk who said they'd gladly give us a suite considering we paid for a suite but they've been booked up for months. We would have to call Orbitz. They verified that the room we got was a $150 room but Orbitz charged us double. On the phone with them for over two hours. They absolutely took no responsibility. Said we booked what we booked, even tho the front desk said our room was not a suite nor was it $300 per night. So we paid Orbitz double for a room at the Crescent Hotel when we could have just booked it on the hotel's website for half the price.. If we were just wanting a regular room. What a scam! Please do not use this company!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I have had the ORBITZ REWARD VISA CARD for years...Lately they are not giving the promised 2% on purchases and are cheating..If you try to contact them, they refer you to Comenity Bank. Comenity Bank will transfer you back to Orbitz...There isn't even a category on the ORBITZ REWARDS VISA WEBSITE for REWARDS or REWARDS QUESTIONS/ISSUES. I have spent thousands this card and feel cheated...There is no recourse..You will get a script reader in the Philippines WHO CANNOT HELP YOU..Disgusting and dishonorable company.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

Took over 3 HOURS to re-book a flight cancelled due to Covid! Customer service wanted to charge more than what the ORBITZ website was quoting. HORRIBLE!!! DO NOT USE ORBITZ!!! USE AIRLINE WEBSITE DIRECTLY! SAVE TIME!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I had booked a flight over the summer through Orbitz - the airline decided to cancel the flight and Orbtiz has so far not offered any signs of a refund. I have called once a month to check on the status of a refund but I am told instead to monitor the airline website as they are not considering any refund requests. As I booked through Orbtiz, I would have hoped the third party would have offered a partial refund as they also profit from the service. I will continue to call in hopes of receiving a refund, but am quickly accepting that my money was likely taken and won't be returned despite a cancellation that was out of my control.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Do not use Orbitz- worst customer service ever. Their only job is to rip you off. If you book a flight with them and have to change it you will not get a refund or they will recalculate it at a higher price even if there are cheaper flights they are advertising. Then if you try to talk to them they will drop your chat over and over so you have to start all over with a different person and they say, "Sorry you got disconnected." Then you call and talk to them and they hang up on you. Always check with the Airlines if you have a credit with Orbitz because if your flight was cancelled due to Covid you may be able to redeem your credit directly from the airlines. Buyer Beware!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I booked my flight with this company since January 2020 for a flight to Guyana for June 30 and Return July 15th. When the pandemic broke out in the United States and we went on lockdown in March. I called Orbitz to cancel my ticket but I was told I need to call within 72 hours of my departure date. So I called on June 28 and was told that the airline had cancel my ticket and I was due for a full refund. They send me an email with a confirmation code stating I will be getting a full refund of $645. I waited 7 days and no refund was posted from my original payment. I called again and was told it will take another 5 days to get refunded. I never received a refund. I called and spoke to the supervisor who told me I am definitely getting my refund. It’s been 1 month and 3 weeks I never got my refund.

I keep calling and they keep telling me I will be getting it. That the process takes time. It’s almost 2 months and I never got my refund. It’s a freaking global pandemic and these people are ripping people off. We don’t even have money to buy food or pay our bills because everyone lost their jobs. And these people keep lying to me about my refund. I didn’t cancel my ticket. The airline cancel my ticket because of covid. Why is it so hard to get my money back ? This company needs to be shut down. I need to get my money back. I will never use them again. They deserve 0 ratings.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Like many others, a ZERO would be a more appropriate rating. I traveled to France just prior to the lockdown and my hotel discontinued service. I had to cancel 4 nights/5days of my trip and have repeatedly (at least 4 - 5 calls and same number of emails) contacted Orbitz. And, I even received a special Expedia ESCALATION email to which I replied on 5/18 and nobody has responded. I was on hold for 1 hour and 40 mins with duration of nearly 3 hours on my most recent call. This time supposedly my request got escalated to CORPORATE. The corporate rep gave me the same song and dance that they had to contact the hotel. I explained they'd been working on that since APRIL and where was my refund (it's now AUGUST).

Every busines is susceptible to risk and should have a risk management plan and reserves in the event of crisis. CLEARLY Orbitz had none. It does not seem to care about its customers. As with some other reviews, I've been doing business with Orbitz for many years including booking my work flights. I think the best course of action is for all consumers to STOP USING Orbitz. I know personally I am finished with "middle men." If I book travel in the future it will be directly with the airline and/or hotel. I'M DONE!

Original review: July 10, 2020

I booked six tickets on Orbitz and hit the cancel button within 24 hours. They said I never canceled the tickets so had to pay for new ones. Got new tickets and arrived at the airport for the return flight on Delta. Arrived early for 6:30 am flight and Delta said that Orbitz dropped the ticket. Orbitz blamed Delta. I had to spend over $2500 to get one-way tickets the same day after I already paid Orbitz for the ticket. I called attorney and now working on legal action. Avoid Orbitz at all costs and go direct through the airlines!!!

Original review: July 8, 2020

I cancelled a flight on Delta that I had booked through Orbitz. I received a confirmation of the cancellation from Orbitz dated May 4th. In the confirmation it stated "Fare differences and change fee will be waived provided the ticket is reissued on/before September 30, 2020." I tried to rebook a flight, same destination, same cities, only to be told that Delta wouldn't waive the price difference. I told them I had a letter from Orbitz stating that there would be no charges for price difference. After 3+ hours on the phone with 3 different Orbitz agents I was told that whoever sent the letter made a mistake and that Orbitz wasn't going to honor the price change waiver.

During the course of my dealings with Orbitz I was cut off 3 different times and had to start over with a new agent each time. I was transferred to a supervisor who told me that her system had just crashed and she would call me back in 10 minutes...never did, and that the customer complaint unit would get back to me within 24 hours...haven't heard from them yet and it's a week later. Every time the agent asks you to hold you are in for a 10+ minute silence, unbelievable! I am at a loss as to how to proceed other than NEVER using Orbitz again.

Original review: July 7, 2020

If there was a Zero I would score them a Zero. I bought 2 tickets that were for flights when the pandemic hit. I spent weeks trying to get through with no luck until I finally reached a representative who worked on the refund. The tickets were purchased together but on different credit cards as my daughter paid for her own. Her ticket was refunded and mine wasn’t. After multiple phone calls I received an email confirming the refund; however it was never issued. I didn’t hours on the phone waiting for them to clear it up and finally was told tough luck- her ticket was cancelled by the airline and yours wasn’t even though they were purchased under the exact terms. We requested refunds at the same time- both waiting weeks for responses. The corporate representative said they would not help me with this. I’ve been an Orbitz customer for years and it meant zero to them. I do not recommend orbitz travel for anything or anyone.

Orbitz author review by ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team