Orbitz

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I booked a room and there was an issue with a typo in the reservation for dates. The reservation was made for June 12-14 and was supposed to be made for June 13-15. I called Orbitz immediately to have the issue resolved. After 1 hour and 8 minutes and speaking to the supervisor I was told there was nothing Orbitz could do to resolve my issue and move the dates. They tried to tell me that the hotel had to make the change. I called the hotel on the other line and they told me Orbitz had to make the adjustment. This should have been resolved without question.

Please beware. Orbitz customer service has been terrible. I incorrectly spelled my daughter's name on an international ticket and have been trying to make the name correction for the last three months. I called the airline and they told me they could do nothing since I booked it with Orbitz. Orbitz has done nothing to rectify the issue unless I call them. They have told me on numerous occasions that someone will call me back with an update. NO ONE EVER HAS. I have spend endless hours on hold to no avail. My very last encounter with a senior manager named "Jaime" really sealed the deal when rather than being apologetic on the length of time it has taken to rectify the problem, she blamed me for making the error to begin with. I have been using Orbitz for years. I will NEVER use them again. BTW my daughter's name is "Josie". I wrote it as "Jose" by mistake. This is what I have been trying to fix for the last 3 months.

Orbitz and its parent company, Expedia, have one thing in mind: To rob the consumer by creating non-refundable prices. Shame on them and the other travel companies they own. Just use them to get information. Call hotel directly to book because they'll refund you if plans fail. Also, directly booking with airlines gives you double mileage points. Orbitz does not.

Do not use this company but do not waste money on travel insurance... you must have a Dr note to cancel and get refund. It will cost you 250 $ to get Dr note... more than the cost of ticket... but you can pay a 125.00$ change fee for a credit of $ 117.00. Call center is in India... cannot understand them on the phone. Put on hold for 20 minutes. They want you to give up. Do NOT USE Orbitz. There are too many options that are much better. I learned the hard way, cancelled my flight due to family illness and they would not refund my ticket even though I purchased the insurance. I would have to send my ill elderly mother to a Dr to get note before they would which was not possible. It was a holiday weekend. DO Not Purchase travel insurance. It is FRAUD.

Thanks to this horrible company I did not attend my father's funeral. I made my reservation the day before due to this being a last minute flight. I was traveling to Mexico City from Nashville with a connection in Dallas. As I am checking my reservation online I see they canceled my return flight. I am thinking I have 2 days to deal with this before my return date and I will deal with it later. I go to the check in at the Delta desk and they ask me if I am traveling to Dallas. I said I had a connection there but my final destination was Mexico. The person at the check-in station inform me that I did not had any flights schedule to Mexico City.

I called Orbitz and they try to blame it on the airline, but the airline said they never received the money or payment for a flight to Mexico only to Dallas. The Orbitz representative just apologize and told me to buy a ticket at the airport. I don't have that kind of money, and my funds were already on hold due to Orbitz processing the payment for the tickets. They didn't even try to help me look for other options. I will never use this company again or any of my family and friends. I couldn't say goodbye to my father. If you have to travel and do not want any surprises, just book it with some other company. Do not use Orbitz.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

I had a reservation at the Holiday Inn in downtown Sacramento. Unfortunately the confirmation from Orbitz went into Spam. I found out too late that it had been made for the wrong date. Orbitz called several times and they agreed to refund the cost of the no-show. I thought this was surprising and very gracious so I want to give them credit for that.

I just got off the phone with an Orbitz rep who took a good 20 minutes to cancel my hotel reservation. While waiting for her to do some "quiet work" I read all the terrible reviews on ConsumerAffairs about this company. Although I canceled the room less than 24 hrs from booking (it was 22 hrs exactly). She put me on hold while she "contacted" the hotel for me to get the cancellation fee waived. I asked for an email to confirm that the fee was waived. The email came on my phone while I was on the phone with her. It confirmed that the room was canceled but still said I could be charged a late penalty of $86. I asked why it still said I could be charged. She said it was an automated response from the hotel. We'll see... She did a lot of fast talking... #shady #somethinsfishy

First of all I'd like to open with the fact that I know it is the responsibility of the consumer to research the fine print prior to purchasing anything. However, my dissatisfaction lies in the fact that they have the audacity to name an Insurance Policy on your ticket a "Cancellation Plan". If I die, someone near and dear to me, or I am deathly ill do you think that I am going to think, "Oh I'm sure glad I got the cancellation plan for my airline ticket". NO, NO ONE WOULD THINK THAT!

When you purchase a cancellation plan for 2 tickets to a destination you think of it as a Just in case I cannot go any longer PLAN!! However, Orbitz clearly understands marketing without integrity. I gave them the opportunity to make up for this and in the end they made me wait 3 days to simply tell me that they will do nothing at all, no refund, no reimbursement, not even a $25 Orbitz bucks credit on my account. They clearly think shareholder first as they have clearly outsourced their customer service to India. I will NEVER EVER use Orbitz again. I will be sure than anyone and everyone I meet over the span of my life understands my dissatisfaction anytime someone mentions traveling around me.

Book a Canadian flight with return for my girlfriend from NS to Ont for what I thought was CAD $. $452 return. Good deal...NOT! Got cc statement for $636!!!

Found in VERY small writing it was US dollars! Could have saved over $100 by booking on airlines' own website. Orbitz is a sneaky, shady company and don't recommend doing business with them!

I rented a van through AVR Van Rental via Orbitz. I thought because it said "unlimited miles" that means unlimited miles. Actually, it doesn't. When I showed up Wed May 10th 8 a.m. 2017 I was told there was a 400 per day mile limit. Because of this whole bait and switch I paid about 110.00 because of miles, of course adding additional insurance for another day. I have filed a complaint with the BBB of Northern California. I'm currently trying to get my extra money returned.

Absolutely horrible experience with Orbitz. I book a weekend package to Florida. However the representative put in the wrong pick up time for the rental car. The reservation automatically cancelled due to this. I did not know this until was standing at the front desk of the rental car company. Called Orbitz to get this rectified and spoke to a supervisor. She offered a coupon. However the amount of the coupon was so insulting. My family and I was inconvenienced hours at the rental car company which was off site of the airport by the way. I truly could not believe that a supervisor thought a $20 refund for a weekend rental was acceptable. I will never use them again.

I got a cancel ticket twice by Orbitz mistake. I spend 3 hr at the phone to get my problem fix. Finally I was able talk manager Michael **. She said it is nothing she can do. Pay for 3rd time and get my 2 refunds after 5 days. Terrible experience!

I scheduled a round trip flight through Orbitz. Great price/deal. Super happy. Delta confirms my seating assignment 24 hours in advance. I fly to my destination. Three days later, I'm waiting and waiting for my confirmation, and it never comes. I can't remember which airline I am flying home on, because I made the reservation 4 months in advance. There is no online check in. No Confirmation for a return flight. I had to purchase a ticket home at $264, when I already had a flight booked on JetBlue!

I just never received any email to check in. After speaking to both customer Service Reps from Orbitz and JetBlue, with only finger pointing, neither business is willing to admit fault. JetBlue EMAILS its customers twice before they fly, and NEVER received my personal email from Orbitz. Orbitz took my money, purchased my flight and then stepped away without another look.

Orbitz as the 3rd party took my personal information but NEVER passed it along to JetBlue. I missed my flight with JetBlue, and don't get reimbursed, in ADDITION to paying for a new flight! (Which would never have happened if I KNEW which airline I had a reservation on.) Don't trust Orbitz to take care of you from start to finish. There are plenty other businesses who will. Super disappointed.

I learned of a city error when booking a hotel. I then called Orbitz on the 28th, I was assured it would be canceled and I may get a 30% penalty but they would escalate it to see if I could get a full refund. The 30th I heard nothing so called and learned it was still active and never canceled. The gentleman on the phone again said he was going to escalate it and I would hear something within 48 hours. I did hear from tier 2 support which said they could not waive the penalty, I emailed back and said that was fine.

Well the 4th goes by and I decide to check my status for the refund. The hotel is STILL active. I get pit through to a supervisor this time. She tells me it is past the point of refund (reservation was for the third). I explain how many times I called etc., I mean come on cancel means cancel. Well she tries to tell me they sent another email saying I needed to recontact them via phone. I never got it and when I asked for her to resend it so I had a copy she said she could not, she then told me she would submit it higher. Well I received an email today, basically saying I did not submit in time. Will never deal with again.

We have booked a family vacation with Orbitz to Italy. It has been a mess since the beginning. First they had trouble re-booking us from April to June. That took about 20 hours of hold time and repeating our story through tier 1, tier 2, tier 3 and tier 3 leads. Then they re-booked us but not everyone in our party. They re-booked me twice. Thank God that I called the airline to check the status or we would have never found out and we would be short a ticket.

I called the airline again Alitalia. After they supposedly fixed the problem only to find out again that they still had not booked as well. I again was short a ticket! Another 6 hours on hold through tier 1, tier 2, tier 3, tier 3 leads to get resolved. I would never use Orbitz again, Never! We have spent more than 30 plus hours on hold, lost work time, doctor's appointments (could not hang up to go to) time and energy. I would strongly recommend to never ever, ever to use this or any other affiliate. If I could give them minus stars I would. AWFUL!

I booked a package trip with Orbitz for a business meeting which included my airfare and rental car. I did this to save money for the company and for convenience. When I went back to my account to print a receipt for the trip for my reimbursement request I found that the receipt does not show the itemized statement, there is just one lump sum listed for the entire trip. The reimbursement policies at the company require you to submit the cost of each item showing the date and cost of travel related to that item similar to policies at most organizations.

When I submitted a request for an itemized receipt I was told that Orbitz cannot provide this instead they sent me an email listing the total for the car and the total for the airfare however there was no date or location information listed for these items. Also, there was a date of purchase listed on the receipt which was incorrect. I have now been trying to speak with an agent on the phone for over an hour. I have spent approximately 3.5 hours trying to get a simple receipt for items that I paid for. I am shocked that an online company cannot add two lines to their receipt template showing total cost of airfare and total cost of car rental. I am sure I am not the only customer who needs to have receipts that show this information. I will never book another package deal with Orbitz again. Extremely frustrated and disappointed.

I generally don't buy airfare from 3rd-party companies but bought a couple of tickets for my nephew and his fiancé to visit me. AFTER the fact, I noticed that I couldn't select the seat assignments on the Orbitz which indicated that I need to call the airline "to make seat assignments." When I called the airline, to my horror, I found out that there were additional and substantial fees involved. Orbitz HAD NOT DISCLOSED THIS BEFORE I FINALIZED THE PURCHASE ON ITS WEBSITE.

I am a savvy traveler and know that airlines sometimes charge for seat assignments. For example, Delta does it but it is disclosed BEFORE you agree to the purchase. Orbitz failed to disclose and refuses to take responsibility for the fees because "the airline is charging the fees." Indeed, but I got the tickets from Orbitz which had failed to disclosed them. This has got to be illegal. If it's not, it's morally reprehensible. The company sucks. I will never use it again and will spend more time advertising its scams on social media.

I am disgusted by the service provided by Orbitz Cruises once I canceled my reservation. The customer service reps (I spoke to several) all provided conflicting information about monies that needed to be refunded to me and were quite attitudinal and unprofessional. In addition my credit card was charged without notifying me. The cancellation fee could have just been taken from my deposit. Instead, they charged my bank card for this fee which, as a result threw my bank account into a negative balance and I am beyond pissed off! I will never book thru Orbitz again for any reason. This is exactly why I do not TRUST giving access to my bank account to online businesses.

I fly often and always use the airline site to book with. This time as a convenience I was flying one way with American and home with Delta so used Orbitz. NEVER AGAIN. I paid for my flight; a month later, get a charge from Orbitz for $16. Called them and was told this is the regular charge for using their site, nowhere does it state this when you book. They would do nothing about it.

WOW. So I call to cancel my reservation, less than 24 hours from booking. The lady who answered the phone was very hard to understand (horrible English), said she would have to talk to the "Baldpate Inn" before they could cancel. I was very confused why it was so hard to cancel a room booked less than 24 hours ago. She was talking very fast and I had a hard time understanding her. I said, "This is complete BS. All I'm trying to do is cancel a one night stay." She then said she was feeling threatened by me and said she might end the call?? Umm ok so I said, "I'm sorry. I'm not trying to threaten you or make you uncomfortable in anyway. Please cancel my room." She then said someone would call me back in 24 hours. That didn't happen.

I called the next day, I got a man (horrible English). I explained to him I just want to cancel the room. He repeatedly told me I was "in the queue." I have no idea what that meant. I asked him to explain, he couldn't or wouldn't. All he would say was now I would be contacted in 24-48 hours... I lost it at that point. I hung up the phone and started the process through the hotel directly. They were very helpful. They canceled me but asked that I please go on and cancel online as Orbitz will charge them outrageous fees if you don't cancel through them as well. So I did that and then Orbitz charged me 10% of my booked amount!!! Are you kidding me!

I can't even explain how time consuming and frustrating this experience has been and it's not the hotels at all, it is Orbitz!! I will never go through them again. I feel like they take advantage of you and make it almost impossible to cancel, and then they will still take $ from you. I can't imagine the $ they charge all the companies who use their service. Call the hotel directly to book is my advice....

I have been fighting with ORBITZ (not owned but Expedia) for over a month about a DOUBLE charge for the same reservation at Hotel Woodland, Kathmandu. I disputed it with Amex and Orbitz declined the refund. The hotel manager confirmed when I check in that there was an error. Now the hotel manager, Mr. **, again confirmed that the bank refunded the money to Expedia yet they are still claiming they don't know what is happening at Orbitz/Expedia.

Third call to them that they claim they can't reach the manager of the hotel or reservations. I offered to copy Orbitz on the email but Orbitz "doesn't use email". What?!? Each time they say they will call the hotel in the am (due to time difference) and get back to me, no response until I call back and start the same runaround!

Orbitz total travel protection plan is a TOTAL WASTE of money. The insurance company (www.aontripclaim.com) only reimburses money in case of extreme circumstances like immediate family member demise, earthquake or flood evacuation, medical emergency with lot of documentation. In such extremities, God forbid if they should happen, why would anyone worry about petty things like if they reimburse my 200 rescheduling flight fee?? In any general circumstances, however genuine and serious your situation is to interrupt/cancel a flight, they would NOT reimburse and Orbitz does NOT want to take any control over it. Very dissatisfied with Orbitz and how they deviously advertise on their sites about how everything they cover etc. so travelers fall into their trap.

Orbitz has the worst customer service I have come across. The protection plan is a joke however I paid the $200 to change my fees. I get to the airline and am told to call Orbitz and ask them to send the confirmation. After multiple waits and almost two hours on the phone and talking to inept reps I finally got a supervisor who was able to charge my card for a separate ticket just so my mom could make the flight. Horrible. Buy directly from the airline so they can at least help you. I do not recommend. I cannot explain how stressful it was.

Let me start by saying I have NEVER gone out of my way to write a review about a company, as a whole (whether it was a good or bad experience), but thought it was absolutely necessary in this case when concerning Orbitz. We had numerous issues after booking our vacation package to Cabo San Lucas. First, they sent us an email stating that due to a "missed connection" for the flight, they were not able to issue the airline tickets and to call for assistance. The customer representative clearly could not speak English fluently, and did not know, and was in turn not able to explain what a so-called "missed connection" was (it is the time of the layover not matching up with the airline's tickets, which had been explained later on by a supervisor). He also informed us multiple times that he was unable to issue the airline ticket in general (which they were still very much able to do).

We then requested to cancel the entire package to which he replied that the package would be canceled in full as we requested. We then found out the next day by an entirely different representative, that only the flights had been canceled, as he was only a ticketing agent (which he also failed to inform us of) and to contact the Help Desk for further assistance with canceling the hotel reservations. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Help Desk informed us that our hotel reservations were non-refundable and would need to be canceled with the hotel's consent alone. Honestly, just save yourself the headache and don't use Orbitz, their customer service is truly appalling to say the least.

I made reservations to fly to two cities on the East Coast from the West Coast. I scoured through over one hundred flights looking for the perfect flight times. I had a very important doctor's appointment on the day I was to travel so I needed to schedule the times to work out perfectly. My appointment was for 11 a.m. so I chose a late flight, 8:30 p.m. which would get me to my first destination at 5 a.m. the next morning. This worked out perfectly because it saved me one night's cost of a rental car and hotel ($175.00). Well, I didn't double check the reservation because I triple checked the final choice I had made.

As it turned out, the flight they scheduled me for was to leave the West Coast at 11:44 A.M. and get me to the East Coast at 8:37 P.M. the same night. I had already made my car rental reservation for 6 A.M. that next morning and my hotel was booked for the same day. So... now I have to reschedule my doctor's appointment (more than a month and a half down the road) and I have to pay another day at the hotel or just hang out somewhere. Another real negative is the car rental reservation I made was for 4 days at the cost of $277.00. Two weeks later, I found a car rental of a better car for $152.00 (A $125.00 savings!). I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT USING ORBITZ FOR MAKING ANY TRAVEL RESERVATIONS! Live and Learn.

Orbitz presented $71 for a flight. I entered my credit card information on the same page that presented that amount. I expected to pay that amount since that was the number listed on the payment page. I then clicked booked and $140 dollars was charged to my account. I called Orbitz asking if I booked two flights instead of one. The customer service rep said the price of one flight was $140. How can a company charge the customer a certain price without their consent? I did not consent to paying $140. I agreed to pay $71. Their customer service rep said to fill out Price Guarantee request however it was not granted since I was comparing them to THEMSELVES. I now tell all family and friends to AVOID AVOID AVOID. I have never had issues like this with Priceline or similar websites. Don't waste your time or money with Orbitz!

Orbitz sold me tickets to the bahamas and the flights were cancelled. Orbitz refunded 1/2 of the money and kept the rest. Orbitz alleges that the airlines was to refund the money. American airlines has said that they refunded the money to orbitz to return to me. Obviously orbitz is keeping half of my money or $872.11 and claiming that american is keeping my money.

I recently booked travel for myself and my mother through Orbitz. We booked an all inclusive resort and flight, but within 24 hrs I was notified by Orbitz that the airline would not confirm the booking or issue the tickets. Now my mother was weary of flying to begin with, decided this was a sign not to go. After reading reviews I was very worried about canceling the trip and if I would be refunded. When I called to cancel the trip, Orbitz handled everything wonderfully and I was fully refunded within the next 72 hours. If I can convince mom to try flying again, I will definitely book through Orbitz again.

The travel protection plan is a waste of money! I knew there was a possibility I would not be able to fly due to other conflicts. When I booked the flight it said "free cancellation" and buying the protection plan it was easy to cancel and get your money back. But no, I went to cancel my flight and they told me I needed to check my protection plan and the ways to cancel. The only way you could cancel was to be sick with doctor's note and ability to get into medical insurance information, have a death in the family with a death certificate, be in an accident and have a police report, go to court and have a summons, and all these nonsense reasons. The reason why I bought it was for the Free Cancellation. When I called Orbitz they told me I could cancel my flight and pay another $200 to have points saved to my next flight, or I could just lose the money. Overall I will NEVER book Orbitz again, it was a ridiculous process to lose about $400.

I booked a hotel room through Orbitz that stated "Free Cancellation" and "Reserve Now, Pay Later". Neither was true. I carefully read through the confirmation email which informed me that the room was non-cancellable and non-refundable ($660.00). It took an hour on the phone with Orbitz - their employees (who don't speak English very well) refused to look at their own website. The first one hung up on me. I finally spoke to a supervisor who looked at it and said she would contact the hotel and see if it would consent to allow me to cancel and get a refund. Thankfully, the hotel consented. Meanwhile, in regard to why my card was charged ("Reserve Now, Pay Later"), Orbitz simply stated that they had to "study" the matter. Now it will take a week or so to get a refund. The listing was purposefully deceptive. I'm still hot about having been deceived and lied to by Orbitz.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.
  • Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.
  • Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.
  • Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.
  • Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.
  • Best for Budget, domestic and international travelers.

Compare Travel Sites