3.8/5 (640 ratings)

About Orbitz

Orbitz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

I have been a client of Orbitz for at least eight years. I used to love it! It has changed. You pick specific dates for a ticket and it offers a great price, but be very careful, the dates may be different for that fare, and if you don't double check, you may lose your money. I have noticed also that they offer great prices in their calendar, but when you click on the offer, the price triples. It is as if their new automated algorithm has been designed to offer what you are not asking for, for less, but creating frustration and loses for its customers. I will never use this company again. I will buy directly from the airlines.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

I rented a car, took the insurance through Orbitz, which uses a third party, Generali Global Assistance & Insurance Services. I extended the rental another day. But was unable to extend the insurance. Neither Orbitz or Generali Global Assistance & Insurance Services could or would, extend the insurance. Orbitz told me to talk to Generali Global Assistance & Insurance Services, then Generali Global Assistance & Insurance Services told me to talk to Orbitz. Over an hour of my time to get nowhere. Whatever money I saved going through Orbitz was just lost. So I ask myself, why bother using Orbitz if in the end, I spend just as much if not more than I would have going directly to the rental company. I cannot be the first person to extend a rental, yet they do not have a way to handle this.

Other than make another reservation for a car I already have. What if I had a flight that got delayed, would I just be screwed? Insurance starts and expires with no way to alter the original booking. Luckily, I have full coverage insurance that will cover me in a rental. Lesson learned, don't use Generali Global Assistance & Insurance Services or Orbitz. This should have been simple. Orbitz may be a reseller for Generali Global Assistance & Insurance Services. But if/when there is a problem, they are not able to help. If I order from Amazon do I contact the seller directly? No, I contact Amazon the company I bought through. To me, it would make sense to do the same thing here. Sadly, Orbitz was useless in the case.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

In short, if you buy multi-airline tickets through Orbitz, you may end up paying double the original price and not get results through the refund process. Don't use Orbitz. I had an issue on a 3 leg holiday flight I ordered through Orbitz. The first two legs were through airline X and the last airline Y. Long story short, I asked for a rebooking to avoid layovers affected by Winter Storm Elliott. I paid a rebooking fee and got a confirmation email. This involved moving leg 1 from airline X --> Y. My wife also did this on a separate ticket, and hers went OK. However, when I tried to check in, airline Y said they had no ticket order. The desk staff at airline X said the cross-airline rebook was impossible and wouldn't help me. They wouldn't look at my confirmation email or listen that my wife had made the same rebooking, so it clearly was possible. So I was forced to buy another ticket, at a premium, on airline Y.

Several days later I'm checking into my third leg flight, for which I'd requested no changes and received no change notices, but airline Y says my ticket had been canceled by airline X. Again I have to buy an extra ticket. I called Orbitz and asked them to file a reimbursement claim for me to airline X. Airline X gives me a cursory rejection on any reimbursement. Orbitz won't do any further follow-up, and wouldn't even complete a return call (they did try my cell twice while I was out of mobile range, and then stopped trying). While I mostly blame airline X for this mess, Orbitz was little help, and the sharing of my third leg info needlessly between airlines enabled this extended error.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

I absolutely HATE Orbitz. I purchased flight tickets, but cancelled them for a refund. The website stated the incorrect date, causing me to miss the actual expiration date. When they fixed the problem, they still didn't let me book new flights with the refund eCredit. I followed all the guidelines. Customer service takes forever to do minor tasks. Please, please do not support Orbitz unless you enjoy wasting your time.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

Updated on 01/03/2022: I only got a email from Orbitz to inform about the fly change 12 hours after happened at 11.22 pm on December 25/2022. I need to know how to get a refund please LMK **. Thank You!

Original: On December 25, 2022 my family and I went to the Islip airport NY, once we arrived there I was informed that my flight had already left at around 11am but the booking said it would leave at around 3pm. I was left with no other option than to drive 20 hours, without stops, to catch a cruise in Miami. I couldn’t discuss this issue with Frontier airlines because they just switched to online service only. No representatives were available. During the trip I asked my son to try to get the refund from my trip on the Frontier website. However by mistake he canceled the trip back from Miami to Islip. I paid over $2,500 for the round trip and I had to change my work schedule and my children’s schedules as well. I’m still driving back to New York. Every time I try to call Orbitz I can’t get anyone to talk with. Frontier airlines explained to me that it’s Orbitz responsibility to inform me about the flight time changes. I didn’t get any email to inform me about this.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

I was suppose to travel to South America and two of my family members came out positive for Covid. I called Orbitz three hours before my departure to tell them about the situation and they were willing to provide me the credit to travel on another day but they never told me that I was going to have to pay a penalty of $300 for each passenger when using the credit. I called back to request the other option of receiving a 30% of the total cost and they tell me that I cancelled with them two hours after the departure of my flight so I do not qualify for a cash refund. They are blatantly lying to me and the worst is that they put the blame on the airline, but then I call the airline and they on the other hand puts the blame on the travel agency, this game of hot potato puts un, the customer, in a limbo that all it gives us is a bad experience and no help at all. I recommend to purchase tickets directly from an airline to avoid all this.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

3 Couples booked travel from Montreal and Toronto to Tortola in the British Virgin Isles. As normal the flights from San Juan to Tortola were cancelled. The Airline Inter Caribbean said since we booked with Orbitz we needed to contact them to fix the problem. We made other arrangements at our expense to get to Tortola and then spent 2 weeks Calling Orbitz everyday to confirm return tickets. Orbitz said, "Talk to airline directly. Sorry we can't do anything," Airline said our booking was with Orbitz. Lesson learned "Always book with Airline directly." So not use Orbitz or any other Internet travel company. If you do it's at your own risk. I have travelled over 3 Million miles in my career, very few issues if ever with AirLines direct.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

For the second time in 2 days Orbitz pre-authorized almost $1000 to my account without confirming my booking. When I reached out to customer service the 1st time I was told that I should have consulted the airline to make sure there was adequate searing for my 2 person booking. I was told the only way to guarantee the rate was to re-book while I waited 7-10 days on the refund. I was denied access to a supervisor or a corporate email address. Like a fool I rebooked (as I had never encountered this problem with Orbitz before) and the same exact thing happened. I did save screenshots of all correspondence and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

I booked a round trip ticket about three months in advance and found out about a month before the trip that I needed to change my departure date. After calling the airline and the Orbitz customer service, I was informed it was impossible to change the booking. Since it was my mistake I informed the airline and Orbitz reps that I would be booking an earlier one-way flight to my destination and use the flight from my round-trip booking which I was assured would be fine. Instead of being fine, I was informed when attempting to check-in for my return flight that my seat had been forfeit. Since the booking was through Orbitz, I was informed Orbitz had resold my seat without informing me despite being assured I'd have a seat on the plane. When I talked with an Orbitz customer rep afterward, they insisted that I had never called beforehand and blamed me for the problem instead of trying to do anything to fix the problem or reimburse me for anything.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

I reserve the room at 300 tenth SC. We drove 5hrs to a room that had blood in the sheet and headboard, several hair on the pillow and 5 mini liquor bottles in the mini-fridge. There was also ** from the time we got out the car into our room. I immediately contact Orbitz to cancel. Because payment was set at Orbitz to pay at hotel. Everything was canceled, we went somewhere else. Orbitz said they tried to contact them for a few days, 5 days later they said the refund was denied because of a bogus service fee that’s the same price as what I booked! Orbitz told me I made the purchase with the other hotel and not them so, "we can’t help you." Now I’m hoping my bank can help me otherwise I’m screwed.

Orbitz author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

Orbitz Company Information