2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

3.8/5 (1058 ratings)

About Orbitz

Orbitz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: July 21, 2021

Booked a rental car at Fox rentals through Orbitz and now I'm out over $500. When I went to go pick up my rental from Fox they wouldn't accept my payment because I'm local (which technically I am not, I'm from a different city but because I'm still in the 150mi range I'm considered a local which is **) EVEN THOUGH IT'S ALREADY BEEN PAID FOR THROUGH ORBITZ. I called customer service and it was HORRIBLE! Not only did I have to wait over 2 hours to talk to someone I kept getting hung up on.

When I finally got someone who seemed like he was gonna help, he put me on hold for over 1 1/2 hours and then hung up. So again another 2hr wait to talk to someone. Then FINALLY got someone who seemed legit on helping me out, he told me he was going to file a case. I told him I wanted an email with full details regarding him filing a case and when I received it I told him his name wasn't on there like I asked for and he hung up before I could even add that it didn't even have a case number attached. All the email said was that he filed a case and someone will get back with me in 10 days. I'm still waiting. It seems like they're trying to beat around the bush hoping that I forget and stop pursuing the situation. Far from that. Everyday that passes I'm getting more impatient and more angry. ORBITZ IS A TOTAL SCAM. I will expose them and this will be taken to court! I will not be out over $500 for a rental car that I never even laid eyes on.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I recently booked a package to the Maldives including flight and resort, for $9,552. I selected the all-inclusive option for the resort which was an additional $514 per night over the standard bed and breakfast rate. The resort has confirmed my reservation but Orbitz only booked the bed and breakfast rate. Now they refuse to fix the booking for the all inclusive option even though that's what we paid for. Do NOT do business with Orbitz.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2021

We booked a family trip with airfare and hotel resort through Orbitz and it has been a complete disaster. After we booked we wanted to make changes on our room to upgrade but after everything was done we notice something wasn't right on our booking that Orbitz made a mistake on. Orbitz side canceled our rooms and flight without our authorization. We called Orbitz to fix it and they hung up on us on a few attempts that we spent on the phone with each time. It seems like when we get to our point on pointing out their mistakes they hang up and don't call back. After a few attempts they said they will rebook our room at the same resort. They charged us again and then told us they will refund just need to make some changes to fix the problem and it was never fixed. Called back another day to address the issue. They again hung up the phone again when we address our complaint.

Finally talked to someone and he assured us that he will go back on the call recording history to and fix the issues within 24hrs and give us a callback within that 24hrs. We never got a call. Two days after we called back to confirm our booking. They said everything looks like what we expected it to be. Finding out days after because we didn't feel right and want to make sure again we called again and nothing was change and again the person we talked to said she will review the call and give us a callback within 24hrs. Nope again nothing has change.

Called today to just completely cancel our whole planned trip that we are suppose to take in 2 days. The guy hung up on me when I told him that he needs to refund or credit us on the American Airlines which we didn't book a econ seating saying they can't refund/credit it back when we book originally that we booked it with the option of refundable. We also booked one of the flights with Delta which they said they can refund/credit back which I doubt they have done that as well.

Currently I'm still on hold with them for 1hr 44min 56sec. We feel like we been misled into a deeper hole that was cause Orbitz hired call center. Orbitz clearly and purposely failed to provide any customer service and a false representation of help Orbitz consumers. I spent over $15k on this booking and they want to screw us over. It's bad enough that we had to cancel our one and only family trip before summer ends. We are lost for words to describe how we feel and our whole experience.

Original review: July 11, 2021

I had issues when trying to book a flight on Orbitz. Tried calling customer service and talked to robot that told me I needed a itinerary number to talk to a human. I didn't have a number since it hasn't gone through yet. Yet they tried to charge my credit card. Will never deal with them again.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I just experienced my first horrible experience with Orbitz. I made my reservation which was confirmed in an email 6/22 which stated my trip was confirmed and I did not need to do anything else. Then I took a trip out of the country to return to see that my trip had been cancelled because they had been unable to contact me. "Your reservation is booked and confirmed. There is no need to call us to reconfirm this reservation."

Then, three days later I got an email saying that they had been trying to contact me and since they were unable to contact me, the trip has been cancelled. I got no messages or emails from Orbitz been the confirmation and the cancellation. When I called them, I got transferred to a person who deals with problems, but the call was dropped. When I called back, they said that the itinerary was cancelled because all the flights had been cancelled. They made no effort to rectify it. The calls were directed to India.

Original review: July 2, 2021

If I could give less than one star, I would. Orbitz incorrectly transferred my name to the airline, despite the fact that I had spelled it correctly and the correct name was reflected on my itinerary. When I spoke to customer service, they told me I wouldn’t be able to fly and that I had to rebook and then cancel my original reservation. They blamed me for the mistake in the name, stating that the error couldn’t have been made on their end. Because I had already booked the tickets, orbitz wouldn’t let me rebook. So the customer service person told me he would process the cancellation himself. I told him I was concerned that the same thing would happen again when we tried to rebook. He told me to be patient and that the cancellation was being processed. Then, after about 40 minutes, he just disconnected!

By this time it was late at night so I went ahead and purchased new tickets on the airlines website, rather than through Orbitz, under the impression that my tickets had been cancelled by the representative. Today, I went to check on orbitz that the flight had been cancelled and saw that it had not. So I called Orbitz and the woman told me there was nothing they could do. It was “out of their hands” and up to the airline. All this despite the fact that I had been told it was cancelled the day before AND I had purchased insurance. When I asked if there was someone else I could speak to, the woman told me she would find a manager and then disconnected after I was waiting for over 30 minutes. I am absolutely disgusted and implore anyone who is looking for flights NOT to use orbitz. They tried scamming me out of over $1,000 and I was forced to dispute with my credit card company.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Today I tried to book a flight. As I got to final page to confirm travel information I got an error yet my credit card was charged. I tried to call customer service and can’t get through without itinerary number, had the same experience with virtual chat. Stay away from this app and website

Original review: June 24, 2021

I’ve used Orbitz for years and always had a great experience until this one. After this, I will never again use them. I booked a family vacation months in advance. I started getting weird text messages stating I needed to click a link to accept a change to my travel. It had my daughters name as the contact so I knew it was fraud. Plus, I figured I would receive an email should there be any legitimate issues. I finally called customer service just to double check. It took several days to finally get through as each wait was hours long and I had to eventually hang up.

I left my number for a callback but never received one. When I did get through after a 3 hour hold one night, the gentleman on the phone was extremely rude and threatening. He said I needed to click the link immediately or he was cancelling my trip. I told him I wasn’t comfortable clicking a link to accept changes without seeing the changes first. He laughed and said that’s fine then I’ll cancel it. We went around on the phone for 2 hours. I asked for a supervisor and he told me everyone in their company is equal and there are no bosses (which I know is bs). He also offered to put me back in the cue to wait another few hours to talk to someone else who would tell me the same thing.

At the end I had to click a link despite my better judgment to avoid cancelling a trip on my kids. It was changed from a direct flight to one with several stops and I lost the money for the seats I had upgraded to and had to start over. I lost hundreds of dollars and would have been a few hour flight turned into daylong travel. It was an awful experience and the customer service was horrendous. I’ve never been treated more rudely. Avoid them at all costs. I’ve read other reviews stating similar experiences where the service used to be good but is now the worst.

Original review: June 18, 2021

What a horrible site!!!! They get you in the middle of your trip confirmation with a message saying Prices have changed... Please book again". Then they charge you twice when you do the booking again.. You call them saying "Hey.. there has been a mistake!" They tell you to wait a couple of days and charges will be reversed only to tell you when you call them after that period that oh "This is not our problem.... Please call your bank." Knowing very well that the transactions were made on their site using their software yet having no problems telling their customers to go somewhere else to get their refunds. Horrible scam!! And a waste of consumer time and money. Stay Away!!

Original review: June 17, 2021

My credit card company says they have 7 charges from Orbitz BUT ORBITZ says the payment is not going through AND TO TRY AGAIN!!!! The customer service line only connects you by an itinerary number, but since my trip did not go through I never received an itinerary. After 'chatting' with a robot they gave me a disconnected number to call. Finally, I was given a number to speak with a human and waited on hold for over 45 minutes. The issue is still not resolved.

Orbitz author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

Orbitz Company Information