3.6/5 (1080 ratings)

About Orbitz

Orbitz Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Booking was fine, paying $7,000 for 2 tickets to Europe, but when Air Canada changed dates of flights, Orbitz agents could not work with Air Canada to get new flights. I called Air Canada and was able to get satisfactory new flight information, but they said I had to get Orbitz to request the changes, Orbitz agents could not. I tried the online chat, but that feature connects to a bot, not a real person. I was on the phone for over 7 hours over two days before asking to cancel the flights and get a refund. After arguing about the refund versus credit with Air Canada and asking for a supervisor, the agent said he could make the refund, but that it would take 12 weeks for that to happen.

The next day I checked on the review refund status button on their web site and found that they had issued a credit with Air Canada. Not a refund. There is no way to email customer service and the agents in India have trouble with the English language, and appear to only be able to read items off a checklist, instead of helping to solve problems. I finally had to use the credit card company to dispute the charge, that Orbitz charged me for a product that they could not or would not deliver. I will never use Orbitz again. You can use the website to find suitable flights, but you should then contact the airlines directly to book the flights. Or use the competitor, KAYAK.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Booked a flight overseas. Singapore Air calls and says Americans can't deplane in Hong Kong and I need to change my ticket and to call Orbitz. Orbitz agents ASSURE me they've fixed it so I don't deplane into the airport. So I fly all the way to SFO and what? Singapore Air has no knowledge of any change and the itinerary the Orbitz agent gave me is not real? Fake? Orbitz informs me Singapore Air owes me a refund even though I never boarded any of their flights. Orbitz steals my ticket money, sends me on a wild goose chase to another state only to get turned back because the agents LIED.

Since they can't reach Singapore air by phone or email (nor can I, get a busy signal calling all their numbers) and they've decided the airline is responsible somehow I'm just out my ticket money. No queries to Orbitz get anything but a snotty "Well there wasn't a problem with the flight so you should have been able to strongarm your way onto the plane?" Or "well you did fly out of state so you get no refund." I flew out of state to connect to overseas flight? I didn't get on that plane for my health or for fun! If you've been scammed by Orbitz I think messaging them on Twitter gets a faster response.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I purchased my round ticket. I paid $63.00 for luggage, and $22.00 for traveler's insurance in case I needed to change dates. I tried to reschedule my flights due to omicron high infection rates but they asked me to contact the airline directly. The airline did not honor my insurance and charged me $140.00 for their "combo protection" to insure my flights plus $69.00 for luggage. I am frustrated and furious for their lack of responsibility and their evilness. Orbitz and Volaris are such thieves. If you go with them you end up paying more than they promise. This is my second bad experience with both. Please Be Careful.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Beware using Orbitz!! Worst ever experience!!! I am sitting on unusable $1800 worth of credits. Tried to apply credits for cancelled tickets and the agent told me I couldn't cause they expired. Yet I have an email from Orbitz that says they won't expire for another month and that I have a full year to use the tickets. They acknowledge the emails they sent me and that my orbitz account have credits that can be redeemed but they maintain they couldn't honor them because of the airline policy. I am dumbfounded cause the only communication about credits is from Orbitz and not the airlines. Multiple calls with different agents and supervisor yielded the same negative results. They are trained to just ignore you and not fix the issues.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

When I canceled my flight, and tried to rebook them with the current pricing, not only they refuse to give me the up-to-date price, which would cost me half as much, but I got charged old pricing + 2000 $ more in fees!!! Plus I got worse seating than previously booked! I wanted to warn everyone not to work with them, because of the business which don't treat us well as customers they deserve to go down, so hopefully better businesses have room to resurface.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

I rented a car to pick up in Victoria - my flight was delayed 3 times - each time I called Orbitz and advised them. When we got to the airport the rental company Thrifty was closed (they closed at 4 PM) - at no time were we advised of that nor was there anyone there to assist us. Having called Orbitz many times, being transferred many times and dealing with staff who know nothing - I have got nowhere. I am still fighting to get back the prepaid insurance. I would not use Orbitz for absolutely anything and will be spreading the word as much as I can.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

Once we cancelled our transaction with them. They continued to bother us about giving them another form of payment instead of giving us authorization to our tickets. Got mad and hung up on us. HORRIBLE.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

Rented a car through Orbitz where I needed to put down a $200 deposit. Actual car rental company was terrible and rented our car out and had no more rentals leaving us stuck at the airport with no car. Rental agency could not refund the money and said to contact booking agency. Called Orbitz customer service multiple times and got either disconnected right away, within a few minutes, or after being on hold for 30 min. They were unable to get a hold of ANYONE at the rental car agency (WITH WHO THEY DO BUSINESS WITH) after many attempts and after trying on different days. Still waiting to hear back for my refund...

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

I booked a trip with Orbitz and they provided my hotel with the incorrect dates. When I called the hotel to confirm my reservation 4 days before my arrival (just out of curiosity) the hotel told me Orbitz provided them with different dates and they are responsible for providing the correct updated information. When I called Orbitz, I was met with incompetent representatives (more than one) who continuously provided me with incorrect and inconsistent information. The second representative could not even tell me if my case was schedule for high priority or not! When I asked to speak with a manager I was told this was not possible because everyone is working from home. I will NEVER book with them again!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

Absolutely the worst experience of my life at MCO/Easirent and Orbitz. We booked our rental through Orbitz and upon arrival Easirent vans were not easily marked with only a small magnet on the front hood. Upon arrival at their facility, we noticed there were about 20-30 people waiting. I walked in and asked what is going on as a gentleman was arguing with the staff. I asked a lady how long she had been waiting, and she said over 1 1/2 hrs. I asked the staff what I needed to do, and they sign in and wait to be called. I can overhear the tenants trying to sell additional coverage to people telling them if you don't purchase the additional coverage, we can't rent you the car. REALLY? Well, when you rent the vehicle online, it's optional just like every other car rental.

A complete scam and disgrace by this organization and anyone associated with this organization is part of the fraudulent business practice. We tried to get our refund of $200 and both Orbitz and Easirent refused to refund us our money. NEVER, EVER again...I am going to make sure this gets posted everywhere so people will know to stay away. Orbitz should be ashamed and disgusted with their customer service and who they do business with. A complete scam.

Orbitz author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

Orbitz Company Information