1.20/5

Looking for a travel site?

Orbitz

Looking for a travel site?

1158 Orbitz Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 30, 2019

Recently planned a trip to Las Vegas to attend a concert and it only took me a few minutes to make arrangements for the flight along with making hotel accommodations at the same time...this was a very quick process at the Orbitz website.

Original review: May 17, 2019

It was pretty straightforward and easy to use, I have used Orbitz pretty regularly, but I have found that most travel sites are about the same price. I don`t see a big savings using one over another.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Last November 2018, I booked with Orbitz for 3 consecutive nights (each night in separate city - Buffalo, NY, Syracuse, NY and Boston, MA). A day before my intended travel, there were thunderstorms, snow and people got stuck for 11 hr on the road, in short there was a weather catastrophe. Since the roads were difficult the next day as there were still vehicles to be cleared all the way to Niagara Falls, I asked Orbitz for a cancellation of all 3 nights (despite having a non-refundable) reservation and they granted me my request with a full refund.

Last Friday (April 2019), I booked a trip to Milan and an hour after a confirmed booking, I checked other bookings sites to see if I got a fair deal, if not better, and found out that another site was offering my same trip for $30+ lower. I researched on Orbitz price guarantee and found out that they have this feature/offer so I requested for a refund and several hours after, I got a confirmation email that they will refund me the difference plus $50 in Orbucks. I been booking flights/hotels with them for maybe 10 years now for myself and other family members and did not encounter any problem. I have also been using their reward features which give me Orbucks every time I booked and shop. Had booked with or without travel insurance but did not get a chance to avail of the benefits so I could not say anything about that.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Accurate information on room and amenities. Enjoyed most of the stays. Staff was helpful and available. Good location to our event. Breakfast adequate. Clean room. Comfortable bed and felt secure at the hotel.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I booked a package through Orbitz. The total for the package was $840.00. I tried checking in online for our flight. It did not let me do this. So we checked in at the airport and had 2 small carry on suitcases we were informed by the airline that our ticket did not allow us to carry on so we had to pay $30 for each suitcase which was $60. Then we get to the hotel and we’re charged a resort fee of $84.12. Then on the return flight home we did not get to sit together on the flight and had middle seats and again were charged another $60 for the luggage!! This is a total of $204.12 extra that was not expected!! Orbitz does not tell you this when you book the package!! I will never use them again as I feel I was ripped off!! Using this website is a bad experience. Don’t do it!’n

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I made a last-minute hotel reservation and, after asking an acquaintance for advice regarding possible sites to try - made an online reservation with Orbitz. Price seemed high, but I was pressed to secure a reservation and time was short. Now that I've returned home, I went directly to the hotel site - Quality Inn in upstate New York and find that I could have reserved the same room for about twenty percent less per night.

Also, I requested a reduced fare with Aarp membership from Orbitz and was told they do not honor reduced membership rates. When I requested the reduced Aarp rate at Quality Inn, they advised that they were unable to give me a discount because I had booked through an outside agency. If I had made reservation directly through Quality Inn, I could have gotten the reduced Aarp membership rate and saved even more than the initial quoted per-night rate. I know better next time - that's for sure. Make your own reservations directly - do not bother booking through Orbitz. The only positive from the experience is that we enjoyed our stay at Quality Inn.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

I booked a rental car with Orbitz on their website. Every time I put in the drop off time it would change the time to 12:00pm instead of 3 pm. When I called them to try and fix my itinerary, which literally was just 3 hours longer than what THEIR website kept changing it to, suddenly the price for my rental went up over $200.00 more than what I had booked it for. They are a bunch of con artist tricking and taking advantage of people. I would strongly recommend using a different company.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I had booked through Orbitz as they offered travel insurance with all flights. I was assured on the website if I had to cancel or change travel plans their insurance would cover me. HOWEVER.... After having medical issues with my wife who had recently given birth. My family could not make our scheduled flight. In short we lost $3000 and they did nothing to support us. Other than mislead us to get doctors notes that wasted even more time and money. Even after providing they still found a way to not give us our money back. What is the purpose of insurance if you can't even use it?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Recently booked a reservation at a Hampton Inn League City Texas for 4 nights 9/12 - 9/16 at a rate of $96 per night. Needed to change departure to 9/12. Notified Orbitz on 8/30, requesting change and credit for difference. On 9/6, after not receiving acknowledged of my request, I spent almost an hour calling both the hotel and Orbitz. It took the Orbitz agent 20 minutes to book change which, he explained, needed to be cancelled and rebooked at a higher rate $105.00. Normally, I would book a reservation with the hotel directly, not have to pay in advance, and could adjust arrival and departure dates as needed. Orbitz proved to be just a cog in a wheel and in the final analysis, not worth any potential savings to the customer when a problem arises. Time is the one commodity we cannot beg borrow or steal and I personally severely resent when mine is wasted by a careless bureaucracy.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I had been a long time user of Orbitz. I use their service for hotel and airline tickets. My last trip, I book a vacation cabinet for family trip to Canada. The address in their listing is different from the rental agency access instruction. It was in the same town but 20 mins away further north. The rental agency told me the address in the Orbitz website was wrong. I filed complaint but I only get auto reply. I was shocking to learn Orbitz didn't verify their listing and put my family in dangerous situation. Orbitz is not taking any responsibility of wrong address. I cancel my account and stay away from using their website.

Orbitz expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

• Best for: Budget, domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs