1.06/5
Based on 86 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

1039 Orbitz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2018

Didn't do my usual due diligence and booked a flight with Orbitz, nowhere does the website say any changes must be made within 24 hours or you basically forfeit your money. I went back to the website (more than 24 hours later) and it gave me to option to change my reservation. As I was paying what I thought was a change fee, I realized I had purchased a whole new ticket with the same airline, and there was no way to cancel or even partially refund the old ticket. Orbitz claims their inability to change reservations is imposed by the airlines. This is not true, the airline would have changed it for free had I booked through them. Orbitz has decided to exclusively sell non-refundable tickets. Don't be duped, buy from the airline directly if possible.

Original review: July 14, 2018

We'd carefully planned a trip to Colorado and received a confirmation from Orbitz stating "No need to confirm, you're booked!" for our Durango VRBO. A few days before we were to stay there, I called the property manager to see if we were still on due to the wildfire near there. I was told we didn't have a reservation - they'd never heard of us or from Orbitz. I called Orbitz, after an hour I was assured I'd get a call within 24 hours to correct the problem. No call. I called them back, after about an hour of explaining and holding, I was told to call back first thing in the AM so they could contact the property management company, and inform me when I called.

I called the morning we were packing, getting the rental car and setting off for our trip. After hours of haggling, hassling, stressing - they told me I did NOT have a place to stay, but they'd find us a place - and WE'D be responsible for the price difference! NOT ACCEPTABLE. You do NOT screw up, and then stick your customer with the price difference. At the very least they should have admitted their mistake and offered enough or bucks to make up for the price difference - if not a free nights stay. My inquiries on their website have not been answered. They have become a horrible company since being purchased by Expedia. I will never use either company ever again!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 10, 2018

I booked plane tickets and a rental car through Orbitz. Two months later, someone got my credit card information and spent over 3000 dollars on the Orbitz website. Either someone at the company is stealing customer information, or, their website is not 100% secure. Thankfully my bank did an investigation and refunded the money to my credit card. Using this website to book travel is not worth the hassle of having to cancel your card and ending up on vacation without one. I would choose another booking site.

Original review: July 3, 2018

After I paid Orbitz their card was declined by Hampton. They had to use 2 different cards to get it. Yet I already paid Orbitz. Even called to check status. Orbitz card was declined so be careful is all I can say. I have an amputated leg & had to stand for 2 hrs at front desk because Hampton was not paid by Orbitz. My flight was fine & shuttle. Paid for all by Orbitz but their card was decline doing at the motel. Do I need to say more. They had my money but couldn't pay. BE VERY CAREFUL!

Original review: June 27, 2018

One part of my flight was cancelled by the airline. I called Orbitz since they are the ones that called me to make alternate arrangements. I received zero viable alternate arrangements and spent now 4+ hours dealing with this situation. I escalate this to 2 supervisors and even the Expedia corporate office. Not one single person was able to resolve the issue and continually directed me to speak with the airline. Don’t sell something you don’t plan to back for your customers. Don’t call me to communicate the issue with a cancelled flight if you’re incapable of actually resolving anything.

Allison ** of Expedia’s Executive Customer Relations Team felt the best solution in this situation was to read AND email me the “carriage policy”. By far the most condescending response I’ve ever received from customer service. Speaks volumes about how this company treats their customers and the respect they have for their time, money, and intelligence. At this point, it’s not about the cancelled flight. It’s their ineptitude at customer service. I will never do business with any Expedia affiliated company moving forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: June 21, 2018

We traveled to Spain this past week. Our son became ill and we were unable move him, so we needed to stay in current location. We had reservation to stay in Barcelona at Leonardo Hotel for 2 days, which we would not be able to make due to circumstances. I cancelled the reservation via Orbitz online (2 days before arrival date and was notified afterwards of a cancellation fee of the entire stay visit ($750), including taxes and other fees. I was surprised by this. Our reservation paperwork did require 7 days notice for cancellation, which I was not aware of until time of cancellation.

Orbitz did nothing to get refund for this stay. The hotel said no, as well, with the reason being that it was peak season. Both the hotel and Orbitz let me down on this one. I have used Orbitz for over 10 yrs, but I will not use a service that doesn't make exceptions due to REAL circumstances (out of our control - life happens). Orbitz didn't disclose the cancellation policy requirement in a way that it was noticeable. Hotels cancellations are typically allowed until 24 hrs prior to check-in.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I purchased a non-refundable hotel stay thru Orbitz, the charge was $719.37, after $30 bucks applied. Still, a $20 daily fee was to be charged by the hotel. Sadly, there was an accident involving a member of my family and we had to cancel the trip. I reached directly the hotel to ask for at least a credit, because of the situation we were going through. I had access of my reservation thru the hotel website and for my surprise, the cost was $583.30 and it was payable at check in. The hotel approved the cancellation without penalty, and Orbitz insisted that they could not refund, because they couldn't confirm this information with the hotel. After a few email communications, and an angry phone call from my part, I finally received the refund.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Orbitz is of zero help after the sale. Missing baggage help with dealing with the airlines. Multiple flight delays - without compensation or the offer of compensation; zero help with dealing with the airlines for lost luggage. Assuming Orbitz is a customer service organization is incorrect. I will never use Orbitz again. Orbitz is good at collecting your money - and after the fact they are awful.

Original review: June 3, 2018

FIRST OFF -- no stars. Had to choose or could not post. About 10 days ago I made a flight from Odessa - Minneapolis to get my cancer treatment. Once again life has taken a bad turn and I no longer will be living in Odessa and I will be in OKC. Okay -- I BOUGHT AND PAID FOR TRIP INSURANCE for $48 through Orbitz. Last night in wee hours I called because I need to change ticket. I got Josh and May who either are not well trained and gave me misinformation and they are NOT American with competent English know how and understanding your questions.

HERE IS HOW BAD THEY CHEAT YOU OUT OF YOUR VERY OWN MONEY. 1- once you make your ticket your money is GONE--never retrievable - GONE! 2- You lose entire ticket price if you flat cancel even with flight insurance. 3 - If you find a cheaper new ticket with the paltry credit they supposedly refund - they again take away another $200 for the Carrier EVEN IF __ EVEN IF you stay on their airline. So basically they took $866 from me. Are taking another $200 cancellation fee. Are making ME contact the travel insurance insurer and prove with medical records that my trip is due to medical reason at which point THEY decide if I can have $200 refund or not...

If you're staying with me so far -- We can all assume 'Richard' from Zimbabwe is going to give me some dumb ** stipulation why I don't get my money back. So word to the uninformed. I am extremely smart. This ORBITZ is OUTLAW and horrible. The flight insurance has ZERO VALUE. Spend the extra $80 or whatever and deal ONLY THRU AIRLINE ITSELF. Expedia was reason I came to try Orbitz. They quoted a price, booked entire deal and then suddenly ticket was $350 higher with comment, "WE'RE SORRY - THAT PARTICULAR fare just increased." That is why I left Expedia site. You guys---screw these companies. They are crooks. Go straight through airline only.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Well I guess there had to be a say for Orbitz to gouge the consumer on airfare. I was a very enthusiastic user of Orbitz but today after I booked I found that Orbitz added a $45.00 "Booking Fee". Their explanation when I complained was that the fare I got was 'economy' and now they charge. If I had gone directly to Delta I would of course avoided this outrageous charge. So, my STRONGEST recommendation is to check out the fare on Orbitz and see if this "Booking Fee" would be charged and if so go to the airline to book directly and you will save the money. No need to trust these sites anymore - they found a way to get on the 'gravy train' of excess charges.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Orbitz refuses to refund my airfare cost two weeks before the flight. My daughter was refused a visa to go to England for her wedding. Orbitz will not give refund, make me keep a credit available till April of 2019.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Orbitz mislead its consumer and refuses to take its responsibility and make amends for it. On April 28, 2018 I made hotel reservations through Orbitz via its website where I found Hotel Sorrento Seattle. When I made the reservation, there was no notice of a cancellation policy or any indication that hotel reservations were non-refundable on the page advertising the listing. There further was insufficient notice on the payment page. Instead, it was buried within lengthy text as if it was being hidden. In all of my prior experiences and as with any other legitimate business, a customer has the right to cancel the reservation provided that there is adequate notice (e.g., at least 48 hours’ notice).

The reservations were for two rooms from May 21-23, 2018. I called Orbitz’ customer support to cancel these reservations on May 9, 2018, more than 10 business days prior to the reservation start date giving Orbitz and the hotel ample time to fill these rooms. On May 10, 2018, Orbitz replies that, "We regret to inform you that the Hotel Sorrento denied your request for cancellation without any penalty. Please do understand that we are only following the policy of the hotel… Please be advised that request has been properly/completely reviewed and validated, and the decision for this is final."

I should not be penalized for Orbtiz’s failure to post the hotel’s cancellation policy or for its failure in choosing a partner that does not align with its policies of providing satisfactory service to its customers. I am disputing all charges associated with these reservations and will also make a report with the Consumer Protection Agency so that they aware of this exploitive business practice. I have been a loyal Orbitz customer and am disappointed that my loyalty has been “rewarded” with such poor service.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Orbitz has set their website up to entice you to use them to book travel through them then makes you jump through hoops to obtain the reward for using them. One mistake and you fail to get your reward.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Due the Orbitz I had the worst experience with them ever. Went to Vegas to get married and Orbitz didn't let us know we had to put deposits on everything and the insurance that we bought for our Rent-A-Car was no good. Couldn't use it and now I'm having a hard time for them to refund me my money. Never use Orbitz. They ruined my wedding day due to taking all this money from us. It's not like we got a whole bunch of money. We saved our money to get married and they ruined my wedding day. Orbitz sucks. I will never ever use them ever again.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Never book a trip with Orbitz. My husband and I booked an all inclusive trip to Grand Oasis Tulum in the end of May 2017. This resort was a total disaster. We went a couple days with no hot water, had cockroaches, sometimes they didn't stock the warm fridge or take our dirty coffee cups. A couple days into the trip my legs were covered in big bug bites. I was given alcohol. At the end of the trip my husband and I started getting sick. The list goes on. I contacted Grand Oasis Tulum right after my trip and told them about all the problems. I was told take it up with Orbitz. I sent a letter to Orbitz and was told, "We will get back to you." I have 15 to 20 letters that were sent since then. I was private messaging on Facebook with both companies. Orbitz would say we contacted the resort and Grand Oasis would say we don't show getting anything from Orbitz. They even wanted screenshots of the conversations, which I sent. Nobody wants to deal with it.

In Dec. I received a call from Crystal at Orbitz. Told my story and was asked to send pictures and documentation. When sending the pictures some of the e-mails were coming back so not sure what she got, I explained this and finally someone said she has the pictures. After waiting awhile I e-mailed again and was told you were suppose to send documentation. Really? Last rep said they had them. Sent everything again on March 6th. It is almost 1 year of wasting my time. Looks like I was the only one doing the work. I should have known Orbitz wouldn't care. I know I'm only one person and they don't care but I will make sure I spread the word. I booked a vacation recently, and looking to book another one, not with Orbitz or their affiliated companies.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Just want to share my horrible experience which I had with Orbitz. True example of horrible customer service and unprofessional/unethical approach. Wanted to warn/inform as many individuals as I can so that they can avoid mistake of booking tickets via Orbitz. Being a travel agency and when you are charging booking fees, you should tell all details while making the booking which they are not doing and instead of accepting the mistake they are blaming that it's your mistake that we choose Orbitz.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Booked a trip, hurricane came to Florida, had to cancel, said, "Thank goodness I purchased insurance." Now trying to book a flight again since 4/12/18 for a trip 4/25, have spent at least 7 phone calls for at least 2 hours one was 3 hours. Got shifted around, bad information, higher prices for ticket, agents said one thing, had to do everything manually they said. Sent emails, asked to be contacted by phone, no one called. Use of my credit time and planned trip is running out. Tickets more expensive, requested refund, got more deceptive, manipulative talk. This has been a horrible experience I would not advise anyone to use this million dollar conglomerate for anything at all, car, hotel, flights. Consumers are definitely subjected to a BEWARE situation.

Original review: April 17, 2018

They wasted 12 hours of my life, ALL ON VACATION this last Very short year. I have never spent this much time in abandon parking lots waiting for rentals (maybe just less than 16 hours on my phone bill). After that many hours it seem like they have just given up on trying to make customers happy like the airlines. There is no excuse to spend this much time dealing with my trip. I have spent at least 6 different 2 hours phone calls to get nothing but managers who can help me. Never again!

Original review: April 17, 2018

They offer hotel booking protection plans when you book non-refundable rates in the event you need to cancel for a medical reason. Before moving forward with a reservation that included a non-refundable rate, I called on 4/5/2018 to confirm if this was the case and whether I would get a refund, the agent confirmed and I asked him to double-confirm with his supervisor. Today, 4/16/2018, I am calling to cancel the reservation and have been on the phone for over 2.5 hours. The first ask Kajesh, said he was unable to find any documentation of the call I had on 4/5/2018. I gave him the date and time and he said he was going to forward me to his supervisor. I then get on the phone with the next supervisor. I give him the story and explain the situation. He states that he can pull up the call from 4/5/2018 where the agent confirmed I would get a refund and if he makes that promise, he would absolutely get me a refund.

After almost an hour, he finds the call that they claimed they had no documentation for and he confirms that the agent falsely confirmed the cancellation agreement. He then said he was going to look into one more thing and that he could help get the reservation canceled. He returned after a hold and said that he found new "evidence" that my original call was related to a different reservation that I had made and that it was already canceled. I explained to him that I made a reservation for a different property on 4/3/2018 but that I went in and canceled on 4/5/2018 after I booked the new non-refundable reservation. The previous reservation included free cancellation so I was easily able to cancel that and get a refund. As a formality, I called Orbitz to make sure the cancellation processed on their end which they confirmed. The agent was trying to say that the cancellation message I got was for the previous property but that is absolutely not true.

For starters, I did not purchase a travel protection plan for the reservation because it is free cancellation- you don't need it. Two, when I called on 4/5/2018 to confirm the cancellation procedure with the insurance policy I purchased, they ask you for the name of the hotel which I provided. When I mentioned that to him, he confirmed that but was hesitant because I just caught him in a lie. I reminded him that he had promised me he would cancel if found the call and can confirm I got the wrong information. At first he mentioned, "We usually like to call the hotel and see if they can cancel but since you have been on the phone for such a long time, I will go through our phone records and expedite the process." When I reminded him of this, he went silent. I asked to be transferred to his superior. He transferred me to a Rosie **.

This so-called supervisor did not review the transcripts or conversations that I had with previous agents. She just stated that it was a non-refundable rate and that was the policy and that was stated when I first called. I corrected her and said, "That's not what was stated." And asked if she reviewed the phone call. She did not answer the question but just kept talking over me. So I stopped her and said, "Have you reviewed the phone call, yes or no?" She stated, "No." I told her to review the phone call so she is up to speed. She said she could not do that, and it had to go through legal. I asked her how an employee beneath her can review a recording and she has to go through legal. She then changes her tune and says that it takes 3-4 days to get the recording. Again, I remind her that the agent beneath her got the phone recording the same day.

I told her she wasn't being helpful at all and that I wanted to speak to a different supervisor. She said she was unable to transfer me. She said everyone is on the phone and you have to call back tomorrow. I told her I would wait and I needed to speak to a different supervisor. She declined and said I would have to start over by calling the 800 number. At this point, I had been on the phone for 2 hours. She was irate and completely unprofessional. If she is the point-guard at Orbitz for high-level customer service, she and the company have both failed. An individual like that has no job working with clients, nor does she have any business providing staff guidance or training. At the end of a 3+hour phone call, they asked me to contact the insurance company.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Have been a customer for many years with Orbitz and they booked my family a room in PHX Sky Harbor airport area. Had to catch a flight next morning but was not advised it was bike week so when I called to change hotels they told me no problem. They understood after I explained it is not a family environment, and after speaking personally with the front desk and was told they totally understood and gave me the ok to return my money for the 1-night stay, and after Orbitz agent also agreed and called the hotel himself and verifying the fact that the hotel was ok to return the refund. The fact that I looked for a hotel that I advised agent I was going to pay cash they still paid the whole amount on the card. They still took full amount.

It has been over three weeks and I received an email today saying that the hotel did not want to refund the money, so after I verified the same night the Orbitz agent also verified the same night and after several phone calls to Orbitz myself they now putting the blame on the Hotel! I booked with Cheapo the same night at 1 am explained the same scenario to the agent about bike week and he found me a hotel away from bike week area with no problem at 1 am after all this ordeal!! I will never use Orbitz again, I hope Orbitz reads these and takes care of the next family better than they did us!!! 4/16/18

Original review: April 14, 2018

My husband is in the military, so making permanent plans is always a gamble. We purchased cancel protection for a flight, and sure enough, he got orders for last-minute deployment. Between him and I, we called Orbitz NINE times to try to get a refund on our tickets. Customer service was terrible, I had to threaten to get my husband's supervisor involved, and we finally got our refund the day before our flight (and two days after he left). I have never been so disappointed with a service in my life. It's not like we changed our minds about our trip, the government sent my husband overseas. If your family has any kind of unpredictable schedule, military or otherwise, NEVER use Orbitz. And their "cancel protection" is a JOKE.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Used Orbitz to book a cruise. After looking over my final payment I noticed they added trip insurance. I called the C/S number on my paperwork to cancel this coverage, I am still over 90 days before my cruise date, after several calls to different numbers I was told to call & 8 emails I was told it couldn’t be canceled. I will never use Orbitz for any travel needs.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I booked a United flight through Orbitz and when I went to review my upcoming flight ($196.00 total) I saw that they booked the wrong time (I requested AM and it was a late PM flight). I had luckily purchased trip protection for $38. Orbitz website informs you that with trip protection you can cancel a flight and receive the money amount in credit to use towards booking another flight. I cancelled my flight and was given a phone # to call to use my credits to book a flight at the correct time.

Orbitz informed me that they would charge my account $200 to use my credits to book and purchase a new flight. This charge is MORE than my original cancelled flight. This was not written anywhere on the website or on the trip protection guidelines. I now have the cancelled flight charged on my card along with trip protection and cannot do anything with them. This is theft, not to mention, they were the ones who made the mistake of booking me a wrong flight to begin with. I am owed a refunded flight with no additional charges.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I attempted to book a flight a week in advance due to flight costs and last minute invite to wedding. While booking my flight just as I was waiting for booking confirmation I got bounced back to the search screen and was told to search again. So I did thinking it was a technical glitch on my part. So I proceeded through the booking process a second time and was denied saying payment not accepted when I know I have sufficient funds. So I tried for a third time and was prompted to call my bank.

After doing so I was told Orbitz charged me and I had a pending payment which was trying to be put back. I called customer service and two people who didn't speak any English practically dismissed me and said, "We didn't charge you. The airline did. We can't control that." I'm pissed because if I book something through a site I would like their help. I was pretty much just told to deal with it and wait till my money comes back and book again. Which means my flight will be more expensive and now I have to spend more money. I WILL NOT BE USING ORBITZ.COM AGAIN AND I WILL MAKE SURE EVERYONE I KNOW DOESN'T EITHER. Very bad customer service workers and a waste of time booking on Orbitz.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Please share my story. I hate doing this, but this is the most upset I have been in a long time. For the help throughout the lead up to my wedding, my wife and I gave wedding gifts to her parents and my parents. My parents' gift was three nights in Toronto, a city we went to after we got engaged and loved it. We booked the trip through @Orbitz on @PorterAirlines in October, and given it was a surprise we paid for Travel Protection/Insurance. Fast forward to today, my dad is recovering from hip surgery which has him out of work from February through at least June per his orthopedic surgeon.

I forgot about the Travel Protection, tried telling my story about the medical situation to both Orbitz and Porter Airlines, neither organization would issue a credit as the flights were non refundable. Luckily I looked at the receipt, saw I paid for the Travel Protection, and was pretty relieved. I had my father send me the details he provided his employer for his leave, and contacted Orbitz who then put me in touch with Aon who is their outsourced Insurance provider.

They are now requesting him to sign information to release his medical records and have his orthopedic surgeon complete a physician statement form. I reached out to twenty plus executives within ORBITZ on LinkedIn, and spent hours on the phone trying to figure out a way to not have to release his medical records to receive a refund and just provide the physician notes, I was told there was nothing that can be done. Never in my history of dealing with organization’s customer service departments have I had such a poor customer experience, and I forever will be telling my story to people I come across. Thanks for nothing @Orbitz @PorterAirlines #Orbitz #PorterAirlines.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I call customer service. I talked to a representative and explained that I wasn't sure on my son's return date. Was there any way to leave the date open or someway to be able to change the date if needed. He said to purchase traveler's insurance and I could change the date once. Then when I needed to change the date I was told that I COULD NOT Change it. That the insurance can only be used in an emergency situation.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I had prices a PV trip for a week, when Or it's offered flight, hotel all inclusive for less than $1300 for 2 people. (Unheard of price). Tried to book it for an hour, got various messages... wrong info, unable to process card (I tried 3 good cards to no available ). Finally the last message Said they were experiencing "technical difficulties". So. Of course I contacted customer service/they looked into it/after 15 minutes they informed yes, they could book that for $300 plus more. The prices are consistently changing etc. I will never use Orbitz. Booked with Hotwire.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Let's start at the end... 800,000 Orbitz customers and credit card security issues announce Mar 20. NOT good. On top, bought insurance on ticket. Told there was a credit, now went to book emergency ticket home due to family emergency and no credit. Orbitz did not make a notation on file. They are blaming Delta, Delta says we didn't book ticket. Orbitz did. You paid them. Orbitz then said to file insurance claim... Insurance claim declined with "non-specific reasoning". Military members do not get any discounts, do not get any freebies for anything. This is all out of our pockets. We MIGHT get to check a military bag without a fee. I called Orbitz and Expedia called me back. I filed insurance claim with AIG and got a decline memo from Aon. Zero transparency. Nobody knows whats going on and on top of all of that? Service people and English skills are tremendously lacking.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Booked airfare, misspelled middle name, first and last name correct. Called within 24 hrs. was told they didn't know if airlines charge name change and I would receive an email answer within 48-72 hrs. Email stated name change 250$ cancellation 400$ because past 24 hrs. After 1 hr to speak with Jessica - supervisor - I said that I called them within 24 hrs. Answer I got was "we have no records". Stuck with paying 250 or 400. Isn't fair as I called within 24 hrs and rep wasn't informed, all they had to say is cancel now and re-book, that's all. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I booked a car rental for the Ontario, CA airport for February-March. When I received the confirmation it was for May in Hawaii. I attempted to cancel online, but I get an error message that it cannot be canceled, even though May is 2 months away. After multiple attempts to reach Orbitz, only to get overseas call centers, I asked a supervisor to cancel the reservation and close my Orbitz account. That was over 6 weeks ago yet the reservation still shows up and my account is open. I emailed Orbitz and they responded that the account it cannot be closed while there is an open reservation. Turning it over to our state Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs.

Orbitz expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

• Best for: Budget, domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs