Orbitz

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz provides no value. I'm not going to waste too much time on this, but in short, Orbitz provides no customer service and no value over booking directly with the provider. Their "customer service" is outsourced internationally and the first three layers (at least) are not empowered to solve problems or do anything more than you yourself could do on the provider's website. Getting to someone who can fix any issues proved too time-consuming for me to do (3+ hours in case 1, 1.5 hours in case 2), and as noted in other comments, involved extended periods of hold and being disconnected multiple times. On the plus side, they have good hold music.

After nearly 20 years as an Orbitz customer, I am no longer going to use Orbitz for anything. Two cases: August 2015: local hotel, booked same day on Orbitz, no record of reservation when checking in. After 3+ hours on the phone with customer service it was clear there was no one empowered or able to resolve the situation, so I paid again onsite. Further email inquiries were never resolved and I wound up paying twice for the reservation. January, 2017: international flight reservation - 4 flights, 2 passengers - called to resolve lack of seat assignments. After 90 minutes on the phone with various levels of management, was told that Orbitz had no ability to work with the airline to confirm seats and that my recourse was going on the airline's website and paying a fee to get a reserved seat, or "getting to the airport extra early" to make sure I get the seat of my choice.

Wasn't notified about delayed flight nor missed connection. Contacted them through their website and was told they always send notifications regarding delayed flights, and to check my spam box. I'd already searched "Orbitz" in all email boxes and the last email received was the confirmation in October. My flights were in Dec. 2016 and Jan. 2017. I asked that they apologize or forward what they were sure they had sent. They then replied that the airline notified me, which it didn't. I won't use a business that refuses to admit that they made an error.

Orbitz has an easy-to-use platform for booking trips. Whether it's a flight, hotel, car or a combination of those things, they make it easy to compare prices, make changes and view options with a user-friendly website.

I booked a vacation for two with Orbitz to the Dominican for one week and paid US $3,200. My girlfriend and I broke up, and I decided to cancel the trip. Well, they could only refund my hotel and give me a voucher for the air fare under my name. I said, "What about my girlfriend's air fare?" "Oh sorry, only she can get the credit voucher and we can't refund you the money." I told them that I paid for the airfare and not her so it was my money they were keeping. Now I am out US $900. Talk about a scam! Will never use Orbitz again! Stay away from this company. They are ripoff artists and will steal from you. Their insurance isn't worth the paper it is written on as they don't honor it.

Purchased one night accommodation at a hotel in called Clarion Suites Gateway, Melbourne for the 5th Nov 2016 through a website called trivago.com.au (as I have done many times before). Received an email confirmation from Orbitz confirming the price for the room being $436.72, along with any additional room charges that may occur, all presented in AUD. Small disclaimer at the bottom that "Unless specified otherwise, rates are quoted in US dollars".

I did not think anything of this as the AUD currency was specified. After my stay at the hotel, I noticed that on my credit card statement, I was charged $581.92. Upon contacting Orbitz, they argued that unless I could prove that they originally advertised the price in AUD, they had no obligation to refund the difference. I then contacted my bank to dispute the charge. I was told today that I was unsuccessful.

I would really appreciate any help or direction to take this further. I have used the trivago website many times before without any problem. My computer always automatically connects to the Australian Trivago site (trivago.com.au). I have also tried to contact Trivago directly but there doesn't seem to be any contact number at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

I was simply trying to book a hotel room for the same day. When I received the text for confirmation and realized that it had booked me for a date 3 weeks away I immediately called Orbitz to see about correcting the problem. The Orbitz operator checked with the motel and said they could not cancel the booking (I had not paid the additional money for free cancellation because I didn't see the need-I was booking for the same day) but that they could offer me an upgraded room (one bed instead of two) for the difference in the upgrade price. He immediately asked if I would agree to this. I responded by stating that I needed to know what type of room was "upgraded" and what the difference in price was.

He repeatedly stated his offer to upgrade and would not tell me the difference in price until I specifically asked several times. Once I found out that the room only had one bed and the price was twice what my original reservation was for I told him to cancel my reservations and that I guess I would be out the original reservation fee. I finally hung up on him, something I DO NOT do because he would not end the conversation, just kept repeating "one king-sized bed at the upgraded price, I can book that right now for you". I called the motel directly when my credit card was charged two times plus another small fee that was not a booking fee. The double charge is still on my card 3 days later. I will never use Orbitz again. 2 desk clerks have told me they steer people away from Orbitz due to multiple incidences of this nature.

I just wish I had visited this page before I decided to book my ticket. I am extremely dissatisfied that I didn't even want to give then a star. Normally I am not the type of person that would take the time to write any reviews but I just wanted share comment in a nutshell here so that whoever is reading this will not become a victim of what I had to go through.

If there are no issues with your flight and just inquiring about your flight itinerary you probably would not think Orbitz is as bad as the reviews say it is. However, if you were to experience any trouble with your bookings, you will expect chaos, hours and hours on the phone, with the phone line disconnecting quite frequently and not getting a call back from their representative. Which means you will be repeating your situation over and over again to different representatives without a resolution. If you are persistent with your calling and lucky that the call doesn't drop, you may reach the manager of the operation but even then they are not very helpful. All in all, I regret using their service and will never use them again for any bookings.

I am a seasoned traveler and booking online. Despite that found with Orbitz you should not expect support after the booking; none unless you have endless hours to spend being transferred and providing info to only never get resolved.

I had to change the return leg of a flight to the following day, travelling from Perth (Western Australia) to Sydney. The change fee Orbitz charge is $68. They also charge the difference in flight costs, which is OK. However, the total cost of changing the flight (change fee + difference) was higher than the cost of booking the exact same flight anew through Orbitz. This was a blatant rip-off. The so-called "customer support" person I spoke to was really bad. I ended up booking the flight through another airline, and lost the amount I had paid for the canceled leg of the flight.

The thing about dealing with Orbitz is that things don't always go smoothly. Sometimes it may not be the fault of Orbitz, but when it happens, they are not just useless. They are dysfunctional as a matter of standard operating procedure. Once your reservation has problems, they will not provide the resources to take care of you. Dealing directly with the service provider is the way to go. Companies like Orbitz make their money with algorithms, not customer service. So, buyer beware.

I purchased travel insurance through Orbitz. As it turned out, my mother (who I was going to visit) passed away. Well as it turns out the insurance only covers the booking fees - it took 3 hours on the phone with 3 different agents to find this out. THE INSURANCE OFFERING WAS INCREDIBLY MISLEADING ON THE ORBITZ SITE!!! (I hope everybody reading this is understanding this). At the end of this experience I paid $86 to cover just the re-booking fees. I did get airline credits from 2 different airlines that expire in 1 year (and I will never use anyway). Shame on ORBITZ for being complicit with such a misleading sham.

I had booked a roundtrip flight from South America to the US using Orbitz. Four different flights on two different airlines were involved. One airline canceled one flight. It took almost 10 hours on the phone (time stamped conversations with Skype) and many e-mails to resolve the matter with Orbitz staff who all speak and write English as a second language. Email responses are all cut-and-paste. In one they acknowledged that they didn't have enough staff to resolve complaints by e-mail. In another they forgot to make even cursory revisions to the text and the previous complainant was identified in the salutation.

I tried to book an international flight for ~1100. When I tried to check out, my card got declined. After the 5th try, I was able to book my flight. Upon confirmation, it showed that my card was charged ~2500 instead. I called immediately stating the fact the amount it showed was ~1100 which they confirmed. However they claimed that the price changed while I am processing my check out. However my page did not show the change until I check out. They were in NO desire to help at this time except to apologize and try to call me a liar. I have been on the phone with them for >2 hours now without any HELP whatsoever. I have used Orbitz for many years and never had to deal with customer service before. However this is unacceptable. IT'S STEALING!!!

Well, seems like many have the issue I had. I purchased insurance when I booked my flight and hotel package, in the event of cancellation. I had to cancel and all Orbitz will tell me is that I can schedule another trip within a year, which is the same thing Delta offered without any insurance purchased and their vacation waiver terms do not specify this policy at all, they actually imply a refund for cancellation. So all they do is make some money off their customers for no insurance offered at all. Keep away if possible.

I'll open by admitting that I made a mistake. I accidentally booked a flight to NYC in the PM when it was supposed to be the morning flight. Luckily, I purchased insurance in case I needed to make any changes. I called Orbitz, rescheduled a completely new flight to and from, and was told I had a credit on a future flight totaling about $547. This is where it turns rotten... I was told there would be a penalty fee. I had to use my credit before a year from the date I originally purchased the tickets (6 months left). AND I had FOUR days (Dec. 3rd.) to reschedule or lose the total credit. I called Dec. 2nd with plans... I'll use my credit to take my Wife to Vegas for a Birthday weekend. On the Orbitz site, I found the the right dates, the right flight, hotel and car. I was told to call customer support when I made my decision...

The Fine Print; My credit of $547 is now $347. What I thought would be a "penalty fee" of maybe $10 or $20 is a HUNDRED DOLLARS per ticket! I can't use my flight credit on any other airlines than originally purchased (JetBlue). OK, my United flight to Vegas with a travel time of 4 hours from SW Florida just turned into a FOURTEEN hour flight! If you fly JetBlue, you better be flying to BOSTON. Would you like to fly SW Florida to Phoenix? SW Florida to Las Vegas? SW Florida to Denver? How about a simple flight from SW Florida to Richmond, VA??? You have to fly to Boston first then hop on another flight BACKWARDS! I have just lost $547.00. I warn you... Buyer beware! I, personally, will NEVER do business with Orbitz OR JetBlue again.

I purchased a flight+hotel+rental car deal from Orbitz. After I paid for it, I purchased an additional car rental then canceled it after few minutes by calling Orbitz customer service line. Then I noticed in the email received from Orbitz that the rental car wasn't included as it was in the deal. I called customer service. First Rep. hanged off the phone on me. Second one and his supervisor were friendly, but didn't solve the problem although I sent the supervisor a screenshot of the deal, and the deal was available while I was talking to her. Then I asked her to transfer me to the manager.

She did after long waiting, whoever talked to me after the supervisor told me, after I asked for her name, she said her name is Sonya **, who wasn't friendly at all. She didn't solve the problem and she told me that she is an Incorporate customer service Rep. But when I told her that I was supposed to talk to the manager, she said that she is the supervisor's manager! She also said that the screenshot that I sent is modified by Photoshop and not true! I asked her to check the deal online which was still available on Orbitz site during our conversation but no respond, and finally when I asked for her email to send the proof, she gave me this address for any legal action: **. This was really bad experience Orbitz!

Worst customer service ever!! I have had to call Orbitz 10 times and issue is still not resolved and flight is in 2 days. All of these calls have been over an hour long including a 5 hour long call. I needed to change my name on the flight ticket to my maiden name to match my passport. After all the calls and different answers from different supervisors they said they were not able to change it. So I traveled 6 hours away to get a same day passport made under my married name. After this exhausting day I called them to tell them I got my passport changed just to make sure they didn't end up changing it to my maiden. Guess what, 2 days later I check Delta because of course I don't trust Orbitz and of course they changed my name to my maiden!

So now I'm on the phone with them again for 3 hours with all different supervisors that can barely understand English!!! So first they lied they couldn't change my name and then they end up changing it after I changed my passport and specifically told them not to anymore! Wow!! This is the biggest nightmare to deal with this company! I still don't know what will happen or how many more calls I will have to make and how much hold time and transfers from one incompetent worker to the next!! Nobody seems to know what they are doing.

If I could give negative stars to them I would. Pretty much the same story as everyone else. I booked a vacation package with some co-workers to attend another co-worker's wedding. We purchased the insurance. SCAM alert!!! Ultimately the wedding was called off. The flights were non-refundable, non-transferable so we each lost over $1250. We were refunded the $155 each for the 4 days hotel. Despite the insurance saying "you or your group can cancel 1 time for any reason" they fine print you into a BS medical reason and steal your money. Never EVER pay for this insurance. Also stay far far away from ORBITZ. Book directly with the airlines if possible, many offer packages. I wish there was more I could do to prevent people from getting scammed by ORBITZ. Don't be fooled, they trade the phone around when you ask for a supervisor. Total garbage.

Thankfully my hotel accidentally charged me for my room in addition to Orbitz's charges... That's how I found out that Orbitz had overcharged me by $47. When I called to complain, I was informed there is no low price guarantee and since I agreed to pay the amount they originally charged, there was nothing they could do. Orbucks are a joke unless you use enough to get your room free. They make sure to absorb them in the price of the room. The hotel had no knowledge of my Orbucks and they still charged me less than Orbitz did.

I bought tickets to Barcelona and exactly one month later, I find the airfare has gone down 954.00. I call them for the credit and they keep me going for two weeks before telling me that I had only 2 days to ask for the credit. The flights went down in price a EXACTLY A MONTH LATER to the date. Called Delta and Delta said if they had put the amount I paid for the tickets in the system they might have been able to help me. Needless to say I am so upset at the RIP OFF effect I've received from ORBITZ. I really think we should start a class action suit against them.

The times for my round-trip flight to Savannah for Christmas were changed. I canceled the flight figuring I paid for flight/trip protection so I would get a refund, only to find out after canceling I was not eligible for a refund as I didn't fall under the proper circumstances for cancellation! I feel ripped off! I work hard for a living and feel robbed!

Orbitz shows all flight in US funds which they don't say until you are ready to purchase the flight and it's so small it easy to overlook. They also say taxes and fees are included but they aren't. You do get charged extra for taxes and fees. Tried to call them and resolve the discrepancy but they had no interest in helping and would not help out at all. I will be disputing with my credit card company. Do yourself a favour and book with someone else. I don't recommend this company and I would never use them again.

Booked a ticket with this company and it clearly said we are allowed to cancel within 24 hours but when I had to cancel these scammers decide there is no cancellation. Oh I also purchased the trip cancellation insurance, "sorry this is only for medical emergencies." This company is seriously scamming people. I will never use this service again and I highly recommend no one else does.

I booked a flight. It showed it was 780 dollars and that I had 8 min to book. I booked within the 8 min and when I noticed the charge it had gone up 200 dollars for a total of 980. I called and customer service told me they can't hold fares on flights and couldn't get a refund. Wouldn't recommend using them, horrible customer service.

Wow is all I can say!! I have never dealt with such incompetent people in my whole life. I booked a flight/hotel/car rental for the week of Dec20th-

Dec26th for myself, my wife and my 2 kids to go from NJ to Orlando. I have had prior experiences with Orbitz and they all were great. Good deals exceptional prices, so how was I to know the mess they were going to make with my bank account? I went online, picked out all the details on my travel and when I went to pay it said they are currently experiencing issues with their website and flight could not be booked at this time, to try again later or in a few moments. I then received an email from Spirit saying my flight has been cancelled, total paid 708.86, refund amount zero.

I immediately called Orbitz. They assured me nothing will be removed from my account and if I would like her to book my reservations for me. I said "yes." I then went through the whole process with the rep. and then once at booking time she received same error and informed me they are updating their website to make it more consumer friendly. She is sorry for my inconvenience but she will save my travel details to my scratch pad and to try later. The next morning I had 3 more emails from Spirit saying my flight was canceled so on, same as previous email. I then check my bank again only to find Orbitz and Spirit took over 3000.00 out of my bank account but nothing has been booked!!!

Ommmgg like wtf. Of course it's Sunday so banks are closed except the 1800 so my husband immediately calls bank while I'm calling Orbitz. Orbitz has no recollection of anything, said they see nothing in their system!! Are you for real? We had to cancel and dispute all charges and now it's been 3 days still no money back in my account!! Bank told me call airlines. Spirit says call Orbitz cause they are the third party I went through. Pretty much played telephone game for 3 hours and I kept hearing same thing over and over. 7-10 days I will receive my money back! This is so absurd. I feel as if I've been robbed. I have 2 kids. They just cleared out my bank account. My checks are balancing and they are all so calm just 7-10 days.

Oh and the icing on the cake - I ask to speak to the supervisor's supervisor. I get transferred to a lady or shall I say girl that in no way is a supervisor with her ghetto talk telling me to "shhh she let me speak." Oh absolutely not will I be told to shhhh from someone with the name Ke stating she works at the corporate office which was a lie cause after I got off the phone with her incompetence I googled corporate and called #1. They were closed so how was she working there. I left a voicemail for corporate and hopefully they can solve my problem for me plus I think after this big ordeal that's occurring because of their systems I deserve my flights at least free since they charged me three times and nothing's even booked!!! Hope this can get resolved soon.

I'm so angry I feel like contacting a lawyer. I don't know if that's even possible but if you're a lawyer and you're reading this and there is a case please give me a call at **. They are frauds. Maybe my stink with customer service got a little somewhere - the 386.00 Orbitz took 3 times has disappeared from my statement, money isn't back yet though. They're so slimy. Ughhhhh. Ruined my family's Christmas vacation!

Stay away! The worst experience ever. They promised me a credit after canceling a flight but they would only honor it if I paid an addition $270.00. Spoke to 7 different agents only to find out none of them understood English! Spoke to 6 supervisors and 1 manager which all promised to help. None of them helped me. I lost my credit of $1,156.00. I'm now reporting this to the BBB.

Booked a hotel room at 10:00 PM on Monday for the following day-- nothing on the hotel info page said anything about a cancellation fee. AFTER I booked the room, the confirmation page stated that cancellation or changes after 5:00 PM the day before the check-in day (I was already 5 hours past that) would incur a charge for the first night's stay. When I called the hotel, they said I had to call Orbitz. When I called Orbitz, "no one was available to take my call." AGHHHH! When I finally got in touch with customer service, of course they couldn't refund my money or do ANYTHING FOR ME. Never, ever EVER will I use Orbitz again.

I booked a vacation on Orbitz. When I booked I added the promo code and the website kept switching the hotels on me (crummy website). Finally got it right and during booking it changed again. When I called them they would not give me the vacation package special and had to book both separately which cost me an extra $1000. Stay away from Orbitz. When I called the help phone number the people on the phone were worthless and could care less. Avoid them and now Expedia since they are the same company.

I have a credit from a flight I previously cancelled and Orbitz has made it virtually impossible to use the credit. I have called several times and they claim they don't know if the credit can be used even though I have an email confirmation from them stating the amount and expiration date for this credit. I truly believe they are dragging their feet on it to avoid honoring the credit before it expires. When you call, they will tell you they will call you back in 24-48 hours. It has been a week and I still haven't received an answer despite calling them back multiple times. Bottom line: don't use Orbitz. They have very bad (borderline illegal) business practices. Don't get your money taken from you.

My experience of booking a flight with Orbitz was very negative due to the deceitful and misleading business practice conducted by Orbitz. When I already started booking the ticket through Orbitz, the price was about 10% lower. However, without ANY notification about the price change, Orbitz wrote off higher amount about which I found out only after my credit card write off. So be careful if you decide to book with Orbitz. The price during the booking process may differ substantially from the sum wrote off of your credit card (and not in your favor). I believe such practice is unfair because Orbitz should honor the initial price once the booking is started or, at least, notify the customer BEFORE the write off that the price has changed during the booking process.

Therefore, I applied for refund according to Orbitz Best Price Guarantee Policy. Orbitz made the procedure of applying for refund much more difficult than it should be. They requested me additional info which was not necessary. Since I am a lawyer, I anticipated that might happen, so I was prepared in advance. However, most of people would not be able to satisfy Orbitz's additional requests to qualify for refund.

My refund was approved BUT Orbitz stated that "Your refund... will be processed 30 days after the completion of your trip. After which, the refund will reflect on your account after 5 days..." However, according to art. 11 of Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions "Verified requests will receive a credit to the credit card used for the booking, within approximately 7-10 days of verification." Therefore, the 30 days approach re refund processing clearly contradicts the provisions of Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions which I pointed out to Orbitz employee. Orbitz replied that "Article 11 refers to the approximate days of verification by the credit card company to process the refund."

I wrote the following reply to Orbitz re this: "I carefully read Orbitz's Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions again and I could not find the 30 days refund return rule mentioned in your email. Such rule is expressly set out for Orbucks but not for refund. In fact, art. 11 of Orbitz's Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions does not even mention credit card company. Which is logical, because Orbitz cannot guarantee that a third party not controlled by Orbitz (i.e. credit card company) will process the refund within 7-10 days. It would be very strange for Orbitz to guarantee the exact number of days (7-10 days) for performing the actions by third parties not controlled by Orbitz that are located in foreign countries and operate under various foreign laws.

Therefore, according to the legal meaning of the wording of art. 11 of Best Price Guarantee Terms and Conditions and common sense, 7-10 days term refer to Orbitz's own obligation to process the refund and not the obligation of the third party not controlled by Orbitz. Summing up, I should be grateful if you could send me the quote form Orbitz's regulations or policies stating that 30 days term applies to refund return. Please also indicate the source of this information with a web link attached to it. Otherwise I would be inclined to believe that Orbitz is willingfully misleading its clients to believe that they will get fast refund from Orbitz in 7-10 days when in fact it is not true. If this is the case, such actions of Orbitz are unfair to its customers and are in bad faith and therefore such actions should be brought to the attention of existing and potential clients and state regulators."

I did not receive any quotes or links to Orbitz policy re 30+ days refund processing. In its reply Orbitz has just stated that 30 days refund is their new policy. That just proves that Orbitz conducts a deceitful business practice leading its customers to believe that getting a refund is quick and easy when in fact it is not. I am very disappointed with Orbitz and I will not recommend anyone to work with a company that misleads and deceives its customers.

Compare Travel Sites