2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.23/5

Orbitz Reviews

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

We had a booking in Chicago next weekend but my wife’s grandma passed away yesterday. The funeral was set for next Saturday in Atlanta which made it so we had to cancel & Blake made it a pain free experience when we called the help desk. Great customer service, a loving heart, and a quick turnaround. That is how I would describe our experience with Blake and Orbitz. I would definitely book through Orbitz again and recommend anyone to do the same.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I received an email the night before my international flight home cancelling a part of my flight. The airline did no rebooking and the customer service line wasn't open for hours. I called my travel credit card concierge and they were useless. I needed to get to Beijing and was prepared to pay $360 to buy a ticket to replace the leg that had been cancelled. I have 3 young kids and just wanted to be sure I got home.

I called Orbitz and they handled the whole thing. Got the airline on the phone and also arranged to have them pay to book me on another airline free of charge to get me to the other leg of my journey. I am so happy with the service they provided. They really saved my trip and made it so I could get home with no additional cost. Travel problems happen and now I know I can call Orbitz and they won't just threw up their hands. Both people I spoke with were great. I usually book through Orbitz because of the Orbucks but now I will book with them because I know they will be there in a pinch. I'm boarding on my flight now in Beijing. Thanks again!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Recently planned a trip to Las Vegas to attend a concert and it only took me a few minutes to make arrangements for the flight along with making hotel accommodations at the same time...this was a very quick process at the Orbitz website.

Original review: May 17, 2019

It was pretty straightforward and easy to use, I have used Orbitz pretty regularly, but I have found that most travel sites are about the same price. I don`t see a big savings using one over another.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Last November 2018, I booked with Orbitz for 3 consecutive nights (each night in separate city - Buffalo, NY, Syracuse, NY and Boston, MA). A day before my intended travel, there were thunderstorms, snow and people got stuck for 11 hr on the road, in short there was a weather catastrophe. Since the roads were difficult the next day as there were still vehicles to be cleared all the way to Niagara Falls, I asked Orbitz for a cancellation of all 3 nights (despite having a non-refundable) reservation and they granted me my request with a full refund.

Last Friday (April 2019), I booked a trip to Milan and an hour after a confirmed booking, I checked other bookings sites to see if I got a fair deal, if not better, and found out that another site was offering my same trip for $30+ lower. I researched on Orbitz price guarantee and found out that they have this feature/offer so I requested for a refund and several hours after, I got a confirmation email that they will refund me the difference plus $50 in Orbucks. I been booking flights/hotels with them for maybe 10 years now for myself and other family members and did not encounter any problem. I have also been using their reward features which give me Orbucks every time I booked and shop. Had booked with or without travel insurance but did not get a chance to avail of the benefits so I could not say anything about that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I rented a car back in December for a family holiday trip. We purchased collision damage through Orbitz. During the drive a rock shot up from the road and cracked the windshield. When we returned the vehicle- Enterprise charged us $500 additional to cover the repair per their policy. We were told to contact Orbitz to get reimbursed for this amount. I have spent a total of 5+ on the phone with the insurance company and Orbitz just trying to get reimbursed for an accident that was already covered. Finally, when I was given a claim number and told to fill out the claim forms that were being emailed, they emailed the wrong forms. I am really disappointed with the service thus far and the excruciating process that reimbursement for collision damage has proven to be.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Orbitz denied my flight due to two letters on my fiancee's name being switched around (** t h ao to ** h t ao). In December 2019, I booked two tickets to fly my fiancee and I from Laos to SFO. I did not realize that the two letters on her first name were accidentally typed in wrong (switched place). Even in the confirmation when I received, the spelling on her name looked correct to me. I checked the name and spelling 3 times and I did not see the error. When we went to the check-in counter on the day of our flight, we were denied our boarding passes. I called Orbitz, and they told me to talk to the airline. I talked to the airline, they told me to call Orbitz. I called Orbitz, they told me Orbitz has lost control over the ticket and that only the airline supervisor can change it.

We talked to the airline supervisor, he said he doesn't have it on his system and for us to called the travel agency (Orbitz). We called Orbitz, they said to talk to the airline supervisor. We ended up spending $50 US dollars on making international phone calls to Orbitz CS line. Just because of this tiny, tiny error of my fiancee's name was written correctly. No missing letters except just two letters were switched. For this tiny UNINTENTIONAL ERROR, Orbitz denied us our flights. We had to spend more money on two new tickets. After this day, I will never book flights, hotels or purchase anything on Orbitz again.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I asked for a refund for at least 2 nights of our stay and they said they would investigate that the hotel Dolphin in Orlando told me that they couldn't refund me for several nights because of a sewer issue in our room. They said the hotel denied they told me that even though I have a recording of the conversation and a refund from hotel of 202.50 for hotel fee per day. I don't know what "investigation " they did..but of course Orbitz says the hotel denied it. This was our first family vacation and first time using Orbitz. So very disappointed in this process. Not to mention our SUPER SHUTTLE canceled on us as we arrived in Orlando and then again on the way back but never told us. Orbitz did refund the 108.00 for that charge.

We spent over 4000.00 for this vacation and then had to pay hotel charges per day once we got to hotel and then meals. I feel I should be refunded for my 2 nights of stay...I feel I deserve that for all the trouble and no one should have to deal with what I did on this vacation. Orbitz was not helpful on the back end of this whole venture...but was sure friendly on the front end taking our money!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I am a frequent user of Orbitz as I travel often. Stay away from the travel insurance firm that they use. It seems like a simple thing by just checking the box to insure your trip but in the event you do need to cancel they WILL NOT honor that payment you made and refund your funds. As travelers we incur a lot of expenses and time trying to get where we need to. It is a shame that there are firms out there that prey on travelers especially when they are in time of need and despair while trying to revise their plans for one reason or another.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Horrible customer service experience! They did not honor their coupons! 2 hours later after my call being dropped several times a manager David with a string Russian accent (clearly they outsource CS) told me it was nothing he can do! Don’t trust them!

Not sure about Orbitz?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Orbitz expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

• Best for: Budget, domestic and international travelers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team