1.16/5

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1098 Orbitz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I will never ever use Orbitz again as long as I live. I purchased my Alaska Air itinerary for a whopping 2000 dollars for my family to fly to Ft. Laud from SEA and paid extra for the insurance. As fate would have it, security that morning was a nightmare and I missed my flight as a result. No fault of mine, I was certain that Orbitz would help me or the insurance I paid 200 dollars for would protect me. Boy was I wrong. Orbitz, unbeknownst to me got the "super saver" fair which Alaska refuses to change no matter what. Orbitz also refused to make any change. I was told I would lose my fair while I was still in line in security.

Words cannot express my frustration. $2000 is a lot of money and no flights would be open so late to buy again anyways. Thank God by the skin of my teeth a nice Alaska agent got us on another flight. Orbitz was very clear. My only course of help would be to file a claim with that worthless insurance they sold me. I was told on the phone only in case of death or medical emergency (which I'd have to file a claim for later with documentation) Never again guys. Never!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Orbitz is misleading. Site makes it look like you are purchasing a refundable ticket and insurance on the trip. Tickets are NOT refundable and the insurance will not refund unless your reason is deemed acceptable by them. Dont bother with this site.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I purchased a ticket to fly for my wife and I with American Air through Orbitz. When we arrived American informed us that we had purchased a standby ticket. We had trouble with insurance cancellation that we purchased through Orbitz through Travel Guard. After many documents and much time we were not reimbursed due to some obscure rule. Orbitz would not help us. Will never use ever again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I rented a car through Orbitz to save time at the rental location the day before my wedding, and paid for insurance through Orbitz the arbitrary price of $99. Well Orbitz never sent any info to the rental place, and was unreachable, so I had to rent 'from scratch' which involved waiting 3 hours for a car to be available because Orbitz website of available cars was apparently BS. The delay caused me further financial loss. I had to pay insurance at the rental company, and while my order from Orbitz was never actualized, the scoundrels still charged me $99 for insurance I never used.

When contacting their Customer Service, they told me they can't reach the Rental company and to open a claim. So I opened a claim with AIG through the Orbitz website and after two weeks they reply to tell me to contact customer service...*facepalm*. These useless thieves have profited $99 with no goods or services behind them, thus destroying the value of money, the foundation of capitalism, honesty, and the values which prevent human civilization from destroying itself. If this review can cause Orbitz to lose further business it will have served its purpose.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Yes! Please choose the Manager's special so that we can give you to the crappiest car rental agency there is. And for the added bonus you can't cancel. This is garbage. Now when I get to my destination and they don't have my car, there will be hell to pay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

We booked a flight/hotel package with travel protection. Unfortunately I got hurt during trip and had to come home 5 days early. When I called to change flight they kept me on hold for over an hour so we called airline directly to change flights. When we got home we called Orbitz wanting our change fees and unused hotel days to be compensated since we bought the insurance. We were on the phone for 4 hours and they claimed insurance was only good for pre trip! They refused!!! Do not use Orbitz - terrible customer service and if you have an emergency you're on your own! The travel insurance is a waste of money.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Booked a flight with Orbitz. Purchased the cancellation plan they offer, which I always do but never had to use or should I say tried to use until today. I called to try to receive my refund because I suffered an auto accident and can barely stand the reason for cancellation. Come to find out unless you DIE!!! the cancellation plan DOES NOT APPLY!!!! If anyone has experienced this please tell me your story! I Really want to let everybody know The TRUTH ABOUT ORBITZ SCAM!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Accurate information on room and amenities. Enjoyed most of the stays. Staff was helpful and available. Good location to our event. Breakfast adequate. Clean room. Comfortable bed and felt secure at the hotel.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I tried to use Orbitz to schedule a round trip flight from LA-X to Boise. All fares were $600, except for a bargain fare at $300. Their website stated the times of the flight would be revealed later in the process. I mistakenly assumed that meant BEFORE my credit card was charged. Unfortunately, my card was charged and the flight times revealed were the worst possible, requiring two additional motel stays to avoid driving home and back in the early morning hours.

I then assumed that either Delta Airlines or Orbitz would allow me to cancel this and reschedule. I called them both and they both passed the buck. Delta said Orbitz had my money and Orbitz said they had already paid a fee to Delta. Delta's customer service MIGHT be excused in this case - I didn't schedule through them - but Orbitz' customer service was horrible. Be absolutely sure you understand every detail or your Orbitz interaction. You will have NO recourse after your card is charged, no matter how unclear or deceptive their website is.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I found my flight around three months before I needed it. For that reason, I bought flight insurance. The price for the flight dropped $108 after I bought my ticket. I tried to cancel and rebook since I had bought flight insurance. I was told I couldn’t cancel unless there was a medical emergency. This was not in the agreement that I had read.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I booked a package deal all inclusive at the Villa Del Palmar in Puerto Vallarta. When we arrived they refused to give us our wristbands and we had to pay for everything. The rooms are filthy and one of my friends was drugged/roofied or some such type of drug in her drink on the resort during broad daylight and almost died in a Mexican hospital. Orbitz and the hotel refused to honor what we had paid for and did nothing about any of it. Orbitz won’t back their booking and completely changed the format of their website to look different from when I booked it. At the time of booking I was also on the phone with an agent verifying our all inclusive. The hotel didn’t even so much as offer us a free drink, meal or anything to make it better. Actually they treated us like we weren’t going to pay our food and drink bills every time we ordered.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Searched Google for cheap airfare to India from USA. Plenty but at least 4 to 5 of airfares low ranging from (high $400 to mid $500) flying from JFK->DEL OR LAX->DEL roundtrip. Once I click the flight details brings me to price over $700. All these prices are 1 hour ago or just released not days or months old. Never get those low prices. In my opinion Orbitz tries to lure me cheap fare and then suck me into higher airfare!!! STAY AWAY FROM ORBITZ OR GAMBLE YOUR MONEY!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My friend and I just purchased the package deal of flight and hotel in Rome. Orbitz showed a very inviting yet deceiving price. We paid it and yes, it automatically went through our account. 1 day later, I received voicemail saying that there was a change in flight. I spent more than 30 mins cooperating with the associate. Just few minutes after the change made, I received a call stating that the price significantly went up. Seriously? I have never experienced paying for something/service in which price changed. So I called back and stated my complaint.

When you sell your product, put the HONEST price. If it has a possibility of price change, let it be known ahead to the customer before we pay. I spent another 1 hr and 30 mins to have my complaint processed. I asked for document stating the said cancellation. Associate said, she sent it to both my email ad. I woke up the next morning and never received anything. I spent another 40 mins asking for a written document to prove that Orbitz is processing the cancellation and refund. Well, we are waiting for the refund hopefully soon. Is it that stressful & frustrating? Is it not a DISHONEST business practices? All we received is, "I APOLOGIZED FOR THE INCONVENIENCE." Wonderful!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

The response I received from customer service is unacceptable and wanted to write a review regarding my experience with Orbitz. I booked my flights through Orbitz and recently decided to book my hotel through them. When I did my hotel search I entered the dates January 12th check in and check out on the 13th as well as the number of rooms I was searching for. I saw the Sheraton Old San Juan had a good rate and booked it. I didn't realize the Orbitz website had changed the date and immediately called Orbitz to have it cancelled. They opened a case for me and 4 days later after checking with them multiple times they are telling me they can't refund my money. I will never use their services again. If you choose to book with Orbitz Beware! when you are booking. The website will change your dates without notification that it had done so.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have the account for years. I cancelled 3 trips: 1 got my refund w/o call; 1 had to call to get my full refund; 1 never went thru (I'll have to take unwanted trip). Spent hours on 2 cancellations for each call. Will not use it again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

STRANDED - Do NOT rent a car through Orbitz in Mexico. I had a car rental reservation (including a confirmation #) through Budget and when we landed in the Cancun airport, they said they had no car for me and would not honor the reservation. Our family (with kids) were stranded and had no way to get to our accommodation an hour away!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Seems like every time I have to call Orbitz Customer Service, even for the simplest change of a flight, it would take them a long time (sometime over one hour!). The nice and polite agent would often have to put me on hold for checking the availability of a new flight or the penalty amount. Some agents have very heavy Indian accent which is hard to understand. But they are generally friendly and polite.

I've been using Orbitz as my default travel booking portal for some years partly because of the easy / free 24-hr online cancellation and partly their reward program ("Orbucks" and the Orbitz Rewards VISA). If someone can recommend a better travel portal with better services, I'll be eager to switch. Another annoying part of Orbitz is that the website does not allow you to set your own preferred departure or arrival window (Most other travel portals allow you to drag a slider for that; Orbitz' iOS app has that; Their old website used to have it until Expedia bought it).

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I reserved a Florida property in the cove near Deerfield Beach online through Orbitz (and affiliate HomeAway) in September 2018 and paid full price at that time. Several days prior to arrival I had not received an email from the owner (as I was instructed in the confirmation email) so I contacted Orbitz who then contacted the owner and I was given her cell phone (strange and unprofessional). Less than 24 hours prior to arrival during Christmas holiday, property owner MANDY **, cancelled claiming she had no idea about the rental although I had been communicating with her for several days and she had been communicating with another person for the SAME TIME PERIOD. She chided me for not contacting her earlier?!

I forwarded the email confirmation from Orbitz to the owner. She basically laughed in my face and said she had no knowledge of my reservation. I had to get hotels that cost $600 more and spend $ on restaurants since I did not have a kitchen. Orbitz and the owner MANDY WANG were of no assistance. Orbitz/HomeAway would not approve the only other house in the area due to price. They then said they would investigate putting us up for one night in a hotel while they look for something else. I was not going to wait for Orbitz to book a hotel since they seemed unreliable and time was running out and our CHRISTMAS vacation ruined.

Orbitz then contacted me and said they had booked me one night at the same hotel I booked at 25% greater price than I paid (which they would pay, such morons). At that point 8 pm and told Orbitz to cancel their reservations and I will take the $ instead to make up for the difference in lodging costs. When I returned from my trip, Orbit would not give me one dime since I refused their offer of a hotel (which was solely inadequate anyway but had no choice). The reason people rent houses rather than stay at hotels are the amenities and privacy. We have family in the area so location was important and we were going to host the holidays both nights but were left scrambling last minute to find a restaurant that would take reservations. I also found out that the person who stayed booked AFTER ME through Airbnb. DO NOT USE ORBITZ or HomeAway.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I booked a room in Aberdeen, SD and when I went to check in, I had no reservation, because Orbitz had booked me in Aberdeen, Maryland. They would not change the reservation, so I had to pay a second time. I feel they owe me a refund plus the cost of another room. I will never use them again!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I booked a flight using Orbitz. When I went to check in and give them a bag the agent informed me that my flight had been canceled. They told me that they had informed Orbitz, but Orbitz did not inform me. The agent then told me that the next available flight would be the next day. Orbitz used to work for me, but it's really deteriorated recently. Called customer service, and that turned out to be a waste of time. Could not understand the representative, and there was a ton of noise (laughing, applause) in the background.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Orbitz has proven itself to be the most useless tool when you have last minute travel adjustments. I purchased a group of roundtrip tickets and a month before leaving one of the travelers were no longer available to go. I called Orbitz to cancel and they told me to call the airline. After speaking with the airline, they told me to call Orbitz because they have limited access to tickets purchased via third party agencies. I called Orbitz back again and explained what the airline said, stating that because it was booked through Orbitz, it could only be canceled through Orbitz. The representative then tells me that it wouldn’t be a refund but airline credits under the traveler’s name, minus any fees charged by the airline. I then tell the representative that I will call back or cancel online after confirming with the traveler that they for sure cannot go.

Once confirmed, I went on the Orbitz site to pull up my booking reference ID and Itinerary number to have handy and saw that I could just cancel online. I went through the steps of canceling, saw the fee the airline charged and went to confirm but notice it was canceling and crediting for every ticket, not just the one I wanted to canceled. I attempted to cancel just one set of the roundtrip tickets but each time I got to the last page, it wouldn’t let me select one, so I figured I’d call Orbitz back. I called and explained that I was trying to cancel only one reservation to the associate on the phone in which she responds that the tickets are non-refundable.

I state, yes I understand the amount paid will not be going back onto the card but I was told a credit minus the airline fees would be added to the account under the travelers name and I am also able to cancel and receive a credit via the Orbitz website but I don’t want to cancel the entire reservation. She then tells me she will have to call the airline to see if they will provide me with a credit, so she puts me on hold for 40 minutes only to return to say that she will have to call me back. I then go to the Orbitz website to screenshot it allowing me to cancel while receiving my credits and magically it now says they are having a technical glitch and can’t cancel my reservation at this time.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I booked a flight with Alitalia through Orbitz.com. Nowhere was shown during and after the reservation that the checked luggage was not included. I wrote at least 10 times to the costumer service to complain and never got an answer. I will never ever use this company anymore. Stay away from it.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Won't ever use Orbitz again. BAIT and SWITCH. Quoted $256.59 to rent a car at the Munich airport. I expected to pay additionally for GPS and some fees. My final charge was $950.00!!! The car rental agency was Thrifty. I have a United Mileage Plus Card that is supposed to cover Collision Damage Waiver fees and theft protection fees. I was also charged a "Location Service Charge" of about $150.00. My card was not accepted for insurance coverage. Orbitz says in the fine print there may be additional charges and are using that as an excuse. Bottom line...rent directly from the car rental agency by phone to be sure you know every penny you will be charged. Kind of ruined my day.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Booked flights for 4 from North Carolina to Berlin Germany using Orbitz online site. Very happy with the choice and price. Went to bed satisfied. Next day I received a notice from Orbitz that there was a problem. Upon contacting them I learned that although they booked our flights and took our credit card info that they did not have an agreement between two of the airlines and couldn’t fulfill our request. Okay bad administrative actions but they promised to find an alternative.

They did, but the price went from $1300 per passenger to $4000 per passenger, so they asked “would you like to book these flights.” Ah... no. After nearly 5 hours of bouncing around the layers of so called customer service folks I just need the process. EXTREMELY POOR customer service. Prior to this experience I never used Orbitz for travel, now I know why. Never will I try again, and will share my experience often with as many as possible. Beware fellow travelers! Evidently not a well run operation. But not to worry, we found a better deal than Orbitz originally offered. Save yourself some time and skip Orbitz, they are lost in space.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

August 28th Booked/confirmed vacation for 4 people, 11.24.2018 to 12.2.2018 in Providenciales. Orbitz Itinerary # **. Outbound: Jet Bue on 11.24.2018

Return: December 2nd via American Airlines. Confirmation IPCT **American Airlines. August 30th: Received this email message from Orbitz. Flight changes have taken place. Your Flight Details have Changed. Orbitz.com Itinerary Number: **. American Airlines Confirmation Code: IPC **.

"Dear Orbitz.com Traveler, American Airlines has made the following change(s) to your itinerary: *Changed the departure date for 2 of your flights. *Changed the arrival date for 2 of your flights. *Changed the departure time for 1 of your flights. *Changed the arrival time for 1 of your flights. *Changed the flight number for 2 of your flights. *Changed the arrival airport for 1 of your flights. *Changed to co-terminal airports for 1 of your flights.

American Airlines changed to an out of state airport and shorten vacation duration from 7 days original return December 2nd, to returning on November 26th, 2 days! Original: Return December 2nd AA #879 PLS-CLT, AA#1923 CLT-BWI. AA Change: Return November 26th AA #879 PLS-CLT, AA#5095 CLT to IAD. August 30th Called Orbitz 1-844-663-2266 9:09 am Spent 89 minutes conversation following email change. Was informed AA won’t refund Economy class. Orbitz operator had me hold as she called into American to confirm and see what could be done. Recommendation from AA was to upgrade class of ticket from "Economy Fare". Then cancel and reuse tickets another time despite incurring what would be ~$150 ticket reissue fee per ticket. Might have been $200. Cost to upgrade 4 tickets and then have reissue cost would have exceeded $2000. I requested they cancel entire vacation.

Called August 30 10:41 am 8004337300 American 2 min. Called August 30 10:46 am 8004337300 American 4 min. Aug 30th 10:55 am Began canceling ALL vacation accommodations, rental home, JetBlue flight, transportation, trip insurance, tours, rental car, etc. Orbitz website gave repeated messages that they were experiencing a “glitch” when I tried to cancel American Airlines return leg. ALL other bookings could be cancelled on their site. 5 or more attempts made throughout workday with same reply message, "glitch".

August 30th 9:14 pm 18002199296 Orbitz 42 min. Spoke with agent after calling number from “glitch” message. August 30th 9:57 pm Orbitz 103 min Joe, Orbitz manager, said he would email after contacting AA. Joe said we “definitely are eligible for full refund” despite economy class because of AA changes. August 31st email received from Joe received claiming no refund due to economy class. American Airlines refuses refund despite multiple flight changes including state and date. Reducing vacation from 7 nights to 2 nights.

I have supporting emails that contain confirmations, changes, cancellations etc. There were numerous other calls which took place that I did not capture in the above summary. I have phone records and believe many of the phone calls I've had with American and Orbitz are recorded and can be obtained. November 8th American Airlines customer service call in response to letters sent their corporate office. They insist that Orbitz made this change and are responsible for the email stating flight change NOT American Airlines. They also insist that Orbitz has collected the funds and has the power to refund or credit my family.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had used Orbitz for about 3 years and everything was perfect. For some reason in the last year it's gone to crap. I haven't been able to book anything online and when I call the phone number to book over the phone the people are rude and cut you off while you're speaking. They won't just help you book what you ask for. They try to shove more things on you. Then the call "dropped" more than once. I had full service bars on my phone but gave them another chance and called again. After being on the phone for another 20 mins, the call "dropped" again right as I was trying to book. I will no longer be using Orbitz. The whole company has tried to expand too fast and is crap now.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I booked my flight ticket last night and the price was US $ 883.68 but my credit card was charged for US $ 1520.68. I called customer service and the guy named "Neil" checked the online price and agreed that the website price is $883.68. My case has been escalated to the next level and so far they are not willing to reimburse my money. Is this my problem that your website had some issues?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Booked travel on American Airlines through Orbitz to Santa Rosa California. Trip canceled due to wildfires in CA. Neither Orbitz or American Airlines would refund or credit any portion of my ticket. Out $218.00. Will never use either again and recommend you do the same.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Still haven't received a physical card. You can't go into your account without a card that has your account number on it. They are rude, unhelpful and transfer you multiple times to avoid helping. I've called three times to resolve issue and now my account is past due, but they won't send a card because my account is past due. But again - I can't get into my account without a card - I do not recommend using their services.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

My experience with Orbitz and The Westin were unimaginable! My brother died 2 days before our trip to Vegas and Orbitz nor The Westin would refund our rooms even though I canceled two days prior to our stay the day my brother died! They didn’t even refund my brother’s room??? I sent over his death certificate and everything and they offered no recompense at all. Just told us that our rooms were non-refundable and that the death of the actual person staying wouldn’t qualify for a refund! I was completely surprised at how dismissive they were. I expected more from The Westin and Orbitz. Even if they didn’t want to refund us for all three rooms booked, a hotel credit would have been a nice gesture or refund my brother’s room at least since he definitely couldn’t use the room because he passed! I will never book through Orbitz again or stay at any Westin because of this incident!

Orbitz expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

• Best for: Budget, domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs