1.08/5
Based on 100 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Orbitz

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

1000 Orbitz Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I reserved a hotel room for March through Orbitz in January. 1 month later I received a text message that said I needed to contact them about a reservation made through Orbitz. I called, they said I needed to change my reservation to a different hotel and pay the difference to keep a reservation on that date. Thinking this was a scam, I called Orbitz, they confirmed by reservation, sent me an email confirmation that day. The person at Orbitz told me it must have been a scam because I still had the reservation and it was confirmed.

One week later I received an email from Orbitz stating the same thing as the text message. I called Orbitz again, they now say that the hotel I booked the reservation with is under construction and will not be ready in March, so I need to change my reservation to a different hotel. It is now 1 month away, the hotels are more expensive ($400 more to be exact), even less options of hotels and Orbitz is telling me I need to pay more for a mess up that I had no control over. I was on the phone with Orbitz representatives for 50 minutes, wasted my whole entire lunch break and still NOTHING WAS RESOLVED. They called me back and I was on the phone for an additional 20 minutes and they finally got a room booked. They did cover the difference, rightfully so. However, I will never use Orbitz again!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I booked a flight and hotel through Orbitz a year and a half ago. Our flight got changed and was not going to work. Orbitz said Delta changed it. After trying to find other flights that would work, we ended up having to cancel, get a refund and start over. Orbitz said they started the refund process on 1-2-18 only to find out today 1-26-18 that they hadn’t. I spoke with Josh today and he assured me that my refund was being processed. I asked for Deltas direct number and he tried talking me out of calling them, when I insisted on getting Deltas number, he finally gave it to me.

After being on the line for 1 hr and 7 min with Orbitz, I called Delta and spoke with Jarita, she said that Orbitz had NOT made any refund requests for me. Delta started the refund process themselves and even sent me a confirmation email. I then called Orbitz back and talked to a SUPERVISOR named Angel, she advised me that the person that was supposed to start the refund process never did! I told her that I called Delta and they have now started the process and asked her if she could call Delta to expedite the process beings they (Orbitz) dropped the ball.

I was put on hold and she claimed she did but Delta could not do anything. She then said she could talk to the Orbitz corporate office and put me on hold AGAIN. Then I was transferred to Craig in the Corporate Office and he admitted that Orbitz had dropped the ball and the best they could do for me is give me a $200 travel voucher but heres the kicker, the travel voucher is only good for 1 year! Well, I don’t know about anyone else but I'm not made of money and cannot afford a vacation like this every year so the $200 travel voucher isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on!

This Craig tried to tell me that it was a “miscommunication” when I told him that I was LIED to each and every time I called to check on my refund! **! It was a flat out lie! There was no MISCOMMUNICATION! What idiots... I will never go through Orbitz again. They have employees that cannot speak English nor do they understand English and I'm not even sure that I was speaking to anyone in the USA! Be very aware people, think twice about going through Orbitz, you will be very sorry and not only will they try and rip you off, they lie and you will not be compensated!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I booked a flight for my husband under my account. Of course I had to find the best deal and cheap flight available. After purchasing the ticket I entered my husband's name and all information they were asking. Booked and set to go! Only to find out that they booked under my name. So I called customer service multiple times and was able to speak to somebody who speaks decent English but not very well. Explained to him what happened, and they acknowledged their error. However couldn't do anything for me, can't change the name. No refund. No changing of flights either. All they offered was to help me book another flight and forfeit the flight that was already booked in the first place. I spoke to the supervisor next and all she did was apologize but couldn't offer anything else. Why would me, the consumer, suffer for the error that the company made? That is not reasonable at all. This would be the last time I would be using Orbitz.com.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Went to Orbitz.com to get a flight. Found a cheap flight to FL. $105 round trip. I put in my info and pressed continue to book it. About 30 seconds later it came back that it was unavailable. But I can book it for $174. So I did! I went back to the Orbitz.com site and looked that same flight up and it was @ $105 again oh just like the first one all taxes and fees included. So I checked Travelocity they had the same $105 price same itinerary. So I went directly to Spirit Airlines who is the carrier. It was even cheaper.

I am on day 3 from booking my flight and it’s still $105. WTF My ticket cost me $174 because there are no more seats available at that price. I can’t get a legit refund for the difference. From Orbitz but I got a paper credit from Spirit Airlines for any flight within the next two months. It took about an hour and half just to get something I can’t use. Also to finish this the representatives for both companies were for from a foreign land and spoke with broken English.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

When I had to cancel my flight I was told my purchase of trip insurance would give me air miles to use at another time. When attempting to use them I was told it would cost me more than the credit was worth to use them. So trip insurance is a ripoff, air miles are useless, and No one could tell me anything other than to forget the credit and book separate. Pointless! Book directly with your airline for now on!! These 3rd party sites are worthless! Never again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orbitz?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

The hotel that was reserved no longer operates and is still listed in their website. We have arrived at the property and the hotel was being demolished, we called the phone on the itinerary and the lady has said that they have asked to taken off the list a year ago. To get my refund their website wants me to make a phone call to the US, because they don't have an email listed on their website. I have managed to reach them on their Facebook page to get a refund and said they will have to contact the hotel and give me a message. And have not replied since. Now I have disputed it with my credit card just to get a refund.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I made an airline reservation with Orbitz. Afterward tried to get a seat reservation which took me a whole day of one person passing me to another and then finally they told me to go to the airline site to do it. Well I did and the airline did not recognize the booking and or the ticket #. When I called Orbitz back first after explaining the situation and having the person hung up on me. The next time I called the explanation why the airline did not have my reservation was that you need to give them a day to get the reservation before they can help you. Why not reserve with the airline directly??? I found out it would have cost the exact same price. Live and learn!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I had a reservation at Grizzly Jack's Waterpark in Utica, IL, and they had a fire and called me stating that my reservation would be cancelled. I called Orbitz, (Man, I cannot get that hour back). I explain to the gentleman that the resort called me to cancel my reservation and he proceeded to read me the refund policy for cancelling. Duh, they cancelled it, not me. Sir, are you even listening, or are you just a mindless robot. Then, he stated that he would call the resort to confirm. A whole 30 minutes later, checking back in and out, he states that he couldn't get in touch with the resort with the number that they had. By that time, I had already contacted the resort twice, both of which they picked up immediately. Orbitz, why don't you have the number to the hotels that work with you. I had to give him the number to the resort. An hour later, he says that a refund will be processed. Okay, over 7 days later, no $354.38 refunded. I had to call them back.

After being on hold while it was investigated again for 30 minutes, the agent stated that she would have to transfer me the supervisor. What were you doing all of that time? Expect a better experience with the supervisor, think again. Another 30 minutes later, I'm stating that I am a mother of 4 and I need to get off the phone. She wants me to remain on hold until I get the refund email. Okay, got them, 30 emails worth, yes people, 30. They consisted of my old itinerary and refund confirmation sent several times, and get this I have to wait even longer for my money. Really, you cannot push it through. Thank God I do not need this money for bills or anything but in principle it is mine, give it to me. That is definitely 2 hours of my day, that I cannot get back. Run far away from this business.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Went online and picked out a package; price was $1321.00 pp. Called toll-free customer service to book - I had a couple of questions. Was told the price I just (within 5 minutes) found on the Orbitz site was outdated. In addition, the agent did not speak nor understand English well at all. I spend 30+ minutes with her getting more frustrated by the minute. I had to repeat myself multiple times for each question she or I had. I politely thanked her and hung up - she was still talking. I went to EXPEDIA's website and booked the trip myself in 7 minutes - start to finish. Orbitz really needs to get their act together if this indicative of their customer service/performance. For starters, consider US-based customer booking agents for US callers - people who understand and can speak English fluently. I'm done with Orbitz.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Angry Traveler - ORBITZ Sells Bad Airline Tickets - I have been a pretty loyal customer, to ORBITZ, for decades. Of course I go where I get the best deal, but ORBITZ was my go-to travel site. My latest experience with them has left a with a very bitter taste in my mouth. I planned my trip to Hawaii months in advance. I do my research and I know what I'm doing when I'm making my bookings. I used to put major bands on world tours. I was the Assistant to the VP of Touring, at Left Bank Management. I know how to book travel.

I booked two tickets r/t Maui/Honolulu, through ORBITZ. The outbound portion was on Island air. When we got to the airport, I found out that the airline had gone out of business. No notice from the airline, but mostly, no notice from ORBITZ, the travel company who I booked my tickets through. Mind you, I've already received two notices about a 5 minute time change, for my flight in February. If Hawaiian Airlines hadn't had space on their flight, our plans would have been screwed up. If I hadn't been able to afford to purchase two tickets on the spot, my vacation would have been ruined and I would have been out thousands of dollars for the beautiful ocean view hotel room I had reserved in Waikiki. To get the super deal, I had to buy a non-refundable room rate.

After spending about 10 frustrating hours total, on the phone with ORBITZ' uninformed, unable to read a reservation, not knowing how to do their job employees, I found out that I should have been speaking with Island Air, all along, about the originally purchased tickets. Of course Island Air is out of business (without ORBITZ bothering to notify me), so no luck there. Not only was I out the cost of the original tickets, but I had to pay almost double that, to buy the replacement tickets at the airport. It cost me about $450 to fly two people that half hour flight from Maui to Honolulu. The original tickets only cost $88 each.

This all could have been avoided, if ORBITZ had just done their job and informed me that the tickets they sold me were no good. It blows my mind that a company the size of ORBITZ can be so incompetent about the basic functions of their company. Not only are they completely incompetent, but they washed their hands of any responsibility. ORBITZ sold me a bad ticket and then basically said, "Screw you! You're on your own".

I spoke with three different supervisors. It took me speaking to their top level supervisor, to get any answers. He then proceeded to give me a number to Island Air, that was no good. When I pushed the appropriate prompt, I was transferred to Hawaiian Airlines. They were covering the Island Air tickets for a while, but it's been so long since they've gone out of business, that Hawaiian Airlines is no longer covering them. ORBITZ knew on Nov. 9th, that Island Air was closing their doors the next day. ORBITZ had a month and a half, to advise me of this.

ORBITZ' excuse was that the flight hadn't been "canceled". Well, excuse me, but when an airline closes its doors, I think that should be self explanatory. ORBITZ neither re-booked me, nor advised me that there was a problem with our flight, then refused to take any responsibility, or try and make it right. I may, or may not get my money back on the original tickets, but I'm pretty sure I'm eating the almost $300 I spent on the replacement tickets. ORBITZ' bad policies have cost them a loyal customer. ORBITZ SELLS BAD airline tickets!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Have to cancel room reservation booked through Orbitz because of a snowstorm. Hotel says Orbitz rents the room from them and I am to contact Orbitz. Orbitz says the HOTEL policy is non-refundable and they pass the buck back to them. I tend to believe the hotel and think Orbitz is full of it!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Orbitz seems fraudulent. We and two other couples booked flights that got changed from a departure time of 2 pm to 2 am next day. We lost precious vacation time! The hotel/resort was not all they promised. Paid too much money for cheap airline and cheap resort! Orbitz did not take any responsibility for anything. Did not help or could give any explanation as to why flights were changed to another day!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I have booked a roundtrip flight for my Mother from Morocco to the US But I was shocked to find out that my Mother needs a visa transit via Canada on the way back. There was nothing in the itinerary that mentions visa transit nor was it during the booking transit. Kayak and Cheaptickets, and others, clearly indicate that a ticket has a visa transit. But Orbitz failed to do so. They are counting on Their vague and confusing policies to trick and mislead Clients.

My Mother cannot speak English or French to get the visa at the airport and I do not have time to deal with this. I have contacted Orbitz customer service, but unfortunately, the representative and the supervisor failed to help me out. They tried to cancel this current reservation and let me incur all the Charges, which is unfair. Giving them two stars because the booking process was misleading, and their customer service is not helpful at all. After one 70 min call, they told me that I need to cancel the current reservation and incur 200 $ fees, then rebook another flight OR My Mother has to apply for the Visa.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Are you really going to book with a company that has such a poor reputation? When you search for "Orbitz reviews", how many 1-stars do you see? What did they do to me? They cancelled my hotel reservation while I was on the plane on the way to my destination. I arrived at the hotel, they said Orbitz cancelled it because I was a fraud! When I called Orbitz to try and straighten it out, they told me to go pound sand. Do you think someone in India gives a crap if they try and ruin an American's vacation? I think they actually enjoy it. So, read the reviews and you decide.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Never EVER book with Orbitz. 6 Phone calls later and I have not been refunded for a flight that was canceled within moments of booking. The foreign call centers are so unprepared to help with any complex issue, they have horrible reception and you are left on hold for hours. I have been upset with many customer service situations before, but this is by far the worst. As a travel manager for my business I will ensure we never use them again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Is company is a fake, I bought tickets and hotel, debited on my card and when it came close to the trip simply had nothing. I called there. They did nothing about it. Or everything I marked I bought does not exist. It's a crap.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

The hotel they showed on their website was not even close to the actual hotel. When I called customer service they told me I was out of luck. Yet Orbitz had said that it was a refundable hotel. Their customer service sucks.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I am not sure what the issues are - but the website is slow and dysfunctional. Every link leads you to an error page. Try purchasing the special deal flights and see how it NEVER works. Make the mistake of trying to reach customer service by having them call you and again - NEVER works. It’s sad - because I really used to like Orbitz a few years ago but it really went downhill with the technology and customer service.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I thought I was getting an amazing deal! When you put in your credit card info it shows you don't have to pay anything. Scratch that, at the end it said total cost = $0! But after you confirm that and it's over, they charge you $200 the next day. I called them to cancel it and they said they would release the payment. That I would just have to call my bank. I called my bank and they told me Orbitz was still holding it, that I needed to call them to release it. So I called Orbitz back and they gave me the same spiel, that they already released it and it should be there, that I need to call my bank to confirm. I did this runaround 3 times.

I called Orbitz back and they told me I won't get my money back (THAT I DID NOT AUTHORIZE) until my bank accepts it, which my bank cannot do because Orbitz did not release it to them. I talked to a manager who would not help me, and would not give me the release. So now I have to wait 7 days for them to give me the money they took that overdrew my account with an overdraft fee! I will never go back to them, especially because they charge you a fee that is not authorized.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My family and I needed to rent a car for our vacation in Cancun. We decided to use Budget through Orbitz. Orbitz highly recommended that we purchase their collision coverage so we did. When we arrived at the Budget rental office in Cancun they did not have any information in their system that we had paid for the collision coverage. I showed them confirmation but they did not honor it. We did not have another option but to pay their additional fee for full coverage which cost $230.30. I emailed Orbitz asking for a refund but did not get a response so I called them and was told I would not get a refund. I requested to speak with a supervisor and after emailing the rental receipt and after 1.5 hours of being on the phone with them I was finally told I would get a refund.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

On 8/19/17 I bought round trip tickets plenty of weeks in advance to take care of my elderly mother for a week in mid-October. I was contacted a month later on 9/19/17 by Orbitz saying I had been removed from my reserved flight. Orbitz offered me other flights later in the day but those times would not work for me since my mother would have nobody to supervise her if I did not get there when originally planned. So I asked for a refund. Orbitz complied refunding the tickets but not right away the $19.00 flight insurance I had bought. They told me refunding the flight insurance would take several weeks and that I would not see this refund on my next credit card statement but most likely the next statement after.

Fast forward to 11/26/17, I called Orbitz after not seeing my refund after going over my last couple credit card statements. Orbitz kept me on hold with an agent for 30 minutes to finally tell me Orbitz would refuse to give me that $19.00 refund due to me taking too long to repeat my request for my refund. I asked to speak to a manager who asked me questions like what day I originally asked for the refund and who I talked to all the while claiming it was not in their records. Finally I was again promised the refund along with an email to prove it - something that should have been done originally. I would not be surprised if this delay of refunding people the flight insurance is a policy designed to defraud them. Orbitz probably knows their customers will forget such a small amount over time. Horrible company who treats customers poorly.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I will NEVER book on Orbitz again. Orbitz contacted me and said my flight was cancelled and they needed to change it to a 10:55 pm flight which meant we would have missed our connecting flight back to the US leaving Dubai. Our original flight was early evening and a direct flight to Dubai so we had 1 more day at the resort we booked for our honeymoon. The resort is $1,000 a day. The only option for us was an 11am flight which means we needed to take a speedboat at 6am our final day. Over $100 in International phone calls to fix a flight change that was forced on me. 24 hours later and the itinerary was not changed!!! I called back and spent more money to make sure it got changed and the manager then fixed it and offered me a $50 coupon to right the situation after losing over $1,150 total in this trip. They could have given us an upgrade or anything to make it better.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I paid for two nights' hotel in a foreign country. When I got to the hotel they had been out of business for over a month. I got dropped off at the hotel by the airport transportation. I had to find and pay for a cab to help me find a new hotel. When I contacted Orbitz to get a refund they were horrible. I am still out hundreds of dollars and all Orbitz want to do is give me a 25.00 coupon. I will never use them again.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I am very disappointed with Orbitz. After doing business with them for 15 years, I've realized that they are charging more money at check out with the poor excuse that "AIRLINE CHARGE HAS GONE UP" and the rate is $30 - $35 more. Of course they add the "only two seats left" to panic a customer. Such BS. They got me once BUT this time I switched to Priceline and got exact airline, date and times R/T and the price was the ORIGINAL amount that Orbitz WAS charging. Naturally I went with Priceline as it was a total of $68 overall savings. The rate with Priceline remained the same throughout the checkout. AGAIN this is the second time Orbtiz has done this. They can stick their "Orbucks" up their rear.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have a very bad experience with Orbitz and I will never do business with Orbitz. They overcharged me for car rental and never gave my money back. After admitting the overcharge they told me I have to get my refund from ALAMO car rental. But Alamo said I have to get it from Orbitz. I suggest to book flight, hotel, car through the company directly not through Orbitz. Customer service is very bad. Website is dishonest. It changed the time that I selected to drop the car. As a result I was overcharged. This is stealing. They designed their system that way. Also never get a package of flight and car with Orbitz. They cheat.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

As a long time customer of theirs and someone who travels frequently, my recent experience with Orbitz is extremely frustrating and disappointing and I have no plans to ever use them again in the future due to their lack of response. Unless you have $3000 to spare just to be able to get home from a vacation, I suggest you don't either. On Thursday, October 5th, our last night of our vacation in Europe, I went online (as I had done multiple times already just to make sure everything was still okay) to Orbitz website and pulled up our reservation. Everything looked fine, all of our flights were there and on time, and after 2 weeks of travelling, we were ready to head home.

We woke up about 3:30 am Scotland time the next morning, got our things together, checked out of our hotel, and headed to the airport. We waited in line to check in for the first of our 3 flights home, from Glasgow to London Heathrow. After handing the check in agent our passports, she asked if we had our booking reference. I pulled that up from the email and handed her my phone. After a few moments, she seemed very confused and told us that she couldn't find our tickets and that she was sending us to their customer service representative.

We shifted down a few lanes and met with her. She made some calls and then informed us that we didn't have tickets on this flight because our travel agent (aka Orbitz) didn't confirm our tickets. At that time, she also informed us that there were no seats available and no other flights that would get us to London in time to make our connecting flight. I asked her what she suggested we do, and with nothing more than a shrug, she suggested calling Orbitz.

I then spent over 2 hours on the phone with Orbitz, most of it on hold, while the representative I was speaking to was talking to the 2 airlines involved (Air Canada and British Airways). According to the Orbitz representative, neither airline was taking any responsibility for any of the issues, Orbitz was taking no responsibility for the issues, and neither airline nor Orbitz was able to offer us any kind of solution or options to get home, except for a flight that was 3x the amount we had originally paid in addition to a change of flight fee that we would be responsible for.

At that point he transferred me to his supervisor, who I spoke to for another few minutes, where she tried to tell me that they had sent us an email in March letting us know that we needed to contact them about the flight. We have no record of receiving that email. And if you ask me, even if that email was sent, sending one single email about a flight issue that large, with no followup, phone call, automatic rebook, and no note or error listed in our itinerary is absolutely ridiculous. I again asked for a suggestion on what we should do. The Orbitz rep told us to try speaking to British Airways again to see if they can help us.

We again waited in line to speak to the customer service rep to see what other flight options we might have just to be able to get home. Although we were originally scheduled to fly back into Windsor, I told the agent we would take anything close to Michigan (Detroit, Lansing, Windsor, etc). She had nothing to offer us. As you can imagine, at this point, we'd already been at the airport for several hours, feeling like no one was willing to help us and completed stranded in a foreign country. I again asked what we could do and again, with nothing more than a shrug, the British Airways agent said that we could "look online" to see if we could find another flight and cancel the rest of our flights already scheduled for the day because at this point we obviously weren't going to make them.

After I pulled my computer out to look for flights, I also went back onto Orbitz's site to see what had possibly changed between the night before and the morning, because there was no message stating our first flight tickets had been cancelled. Imagine my surprise when there was still no message, or flag, or error, or note, or anything by that flight, stating that our tickets had been cancelled. It was sitting there, just like the rest of our flights, just like normal, just like it should have been.

We searched for several minutes online, looking at several different airlines and flights and destinations. The only flight that was still leaving that day that was the most affordable, was a flight to Chicago, so we booked it for $1150 a piece. Since we needed to get back to either Detroit or Lansing to get home, we debated renting a car and driving home, but in the end after the long day we were going to have, we paid for another flight to get us to Lansing, which cost us another $250. We originally paid about $800 round trip for our flights. And we had to pay an additional $1500 a piece just to be able to get home.

After we booked our flights home, I called Air Canada to cancel the rest of our flights, hoping that we may be able to get at least a partial refund. The person I spoke to at Air Canada couldn't believe that we were not rebooked on another flight and went forward with cancelling our flights from London and Toronto. All they were able to offer us as a "refund" was a partial credit with Air Canada that had to be used within a year, had to be from the same zone (so coming from Europe) and at that time, a flight change fee would be taken out of whatever credit we have. So basically, it was nothing.

We did absolutely nothing wrong. Yet, we still are the ones suffering for it with no one willing to take responsibility or help. After an incredibly stressful day of travelling, $1500 that we were not planning on spending, going over on our phone plan (which was only supposed to be used sparingly for emergencies) and being awake for over 24 hours, we landed in Lansing.

Since then, I have expressed my displeasure with Orbitz and their services and was happy to have been contacted by them on my Twitter account, thinking that maybe now that I wasn't stressed to the max and exhausted, we could discuss in more detail what they were going to do to rectify the $3000 we were forced to spend unnecessarily to get home. They asked for our information, asked for the receipts for the new flights we purchased, and said they would get back to me within 72 hours. 72 hours came and went, and not a peep from Orbitz. I messaged them asking for an update, only to be met with a "We'd like to contact both airlines" and asked for another 24 hours to do this. 24 hours pass, not a word.

I message them again and they said "they were slammed yesterday, I will update you tomorrow". Growing slightly irritated, I said okay. Fast forward to today, 2 days have gone by and nothing. I messaged them again saying that I felt my issues and concerns were being ignored and that that was unacceptable, and that the issue needed to get resolved or I'd look into pursuing legal action. Guess what? Radio silence. Absolutely not a word from them at all, which solidifies the fact that they don't care about their customers and feel no responsibility for making sure they are taken care of on their travels. Only after I started publicly sharing my concerns again, was I contacted by another agent asking for details. Since I wasn't in the mood to repeat myself, I told them that they could look in their messages and would be able to be up to speed on the situation.

Since then, and many long and frustrating conversations later, there is no resolution and I'm still out my money. They are refusing to refund us, and offered a $100 Orbitz voucher, which I did not accept. They are still insisting they sent us an email about our flight being cancelled, which we still have no record of receiving. The flight was actually not cancelled, our tickets were cancelled because according to the check in agent in Glasgow, Orbitz didn't confirm our tickets (which I'm working on getting proof of).

They have no good explanation of why the flight was still showing up on our itinerary other than "when airlines cancel flights, it doesn't always reflect on your itinerary with us." Which again is untrue because the flight wasn't cancelled, we literally watched other people check in for what was supposed to be our flight. And why shouldn't our itinerary change on your website if something is cancelled and you apparently knew about it? They claim they have a certain different email on file as the original booking email (and the one they claim they sent this cancellation email to), yet the original booking confirmation was sent to my email. Hmmm...

At this point, with them continually contradicting themselves, not paying attention to anything I'm telling them, and offering that insulting $100 voucher, I'm trying to avoid dealing with them moving forward and am just focusing on getting any official documentation that can show they messed up and have contacted a lawyer. The screenshot shows that the first flight was still on our itinerary after being told our tickets had been cancelled.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

In March, I booked a trip to Austria/Italy through Orbitz. I was flying American Airlines and Air Berlin. In August, Orbitz contacted me letting me know Air Berlin was filing for bankruptcy but that no changes had been made to my flight since other German airlines (Lufthansa was one mentioned) were stepping in and helping Air Berlin when needed. The email from Orbitz stated that if any changes were to be made to my flight, they would contact me. When the day of my trip arrived, I flew from Charlotte to Chicago. When I went to check in at the Air Berlin counter at O'Hare, it was completely deserted. No one was there and I learned my flight from Chicago to Berlin had been cancelled.

I contacted Orbitz several times asking for help. More than once, I was hung up on or put on hold for an extended (over 30 minutes) period of time. When I did speak to an Orbitz rep, no one offered any type of solution and basically said there was nothing they could do. I purchased trip insurance and now I am being told by Orbitz that I will not be refunded even if I file a claim through Aon. I am beyond DISGUSTED with my experience. As a travel agency, it is Orbitz's job to provide a solution when a customer is STRANDED at an airport. Especially when it's an airport that isn't in the customer's home city. I am out over $2,000. This isn't a small sum of money. Orbitz has robbed me and has turned a trip I had been looking forward to all year into a MISERABLE experience and a waste of time and money. I will never use Orbitz again. Why offer trip insurance if you won't honor it? Is it just another way to steal money from your customers?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Every time we travel I always book with Orbitz but from now on I won’t. We just booked our international flight. The price when I searched online was 601.40$ per person for round trip but they charged 627.60$. I called and talk to the lady and she said maybe the price changed while I was completing my booking. I said, “No the price still 601$” after she was searching online for a while and she said, “Oh yeah it 601$” but she didn’t refund me the difference and they still charged me 627.60$.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I called Orbitz 3 times to make sure my return flight was cancelled. All agents I talked to said it was in the notes. They said they cancelled it. And they didn't cancel it. I spent 6 hours on hold with Orbitz as well to make sure they cancelled it. If you go with them make sure it doesn't need cancelling. Mine was an emergency and they could care less. The airline marked me as a no show. They are frustrating and could care less about the situation. ORBITZ SUCKS!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

If I could give them less than one star I would. Hours upon hours of being put on hold. Lied to. I purchased a 4000 business class ticket that had a connection. When Orbitz booked the connection they put me 1/2 in coach and 1/2 in business. This is NOT what I paid for. They have lied, passed me from operator to operator. Days on end. DO NOT USE THEM. There are many other sites to use. DO NOT USE ORBITZ!!!

Orbitz expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Orbitz is an online travel website owned by Expedia Inc. It was founded in 2001 and acquired by Expedia in 2015.

• Rewards: Orbitz rewards travelers with points they can exchange for discounts.

• Vacation packages: Travelers can save money by choosing vacation packages instead of buying services individually.

• Activities: Orbitz can help tourists find activities and events in their destination cities.

• Mobile apps: Mobile users gain access to exclusive deals.

• Scratchpad: The website's Scratchpad feature helps travelers keep track of offers that interest them.

• Best for: Budget, domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.orbitz.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use