KAYAK
  • 1 star
Based on 110 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

KAYAK

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 6, 2017

112 KAYAK Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

When buying an airline ticket with them, DO NOT GET INSURANCE FOR YOU FLIGHT IF YOU THINK YOU GONNA HAVE TO CANCEL. You not only can't cancel the flight, but you won't get the money back thru the insurance company unless someone in your family died, or there was a terrorist attack, a hurricane, 3 third world war, or something on that nature. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

We booking a car rental through Kayak for our trip to California in May 2017. We wanted to pick the car up in San Francisco and drop off at LAX. So we put in LAX as the drop off location since we were flying out of that airport. Upon arrival at the Hertz counter drop off at LAX, we were told that we were at the wrong drop off address. Hertz said that Kayak commonly does that but does not make it clear that the drop off is NOT at the airport. Hertz said we would have to pay $300 more if we left it at their location. We are still disputing this issue with Kayak and will update our progress on this site.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I am thoroughly disappointed with KAYAK. I recently booked a car through KAYAK for my trip to Los Angeles and clearly specified LAX Airport as my pick up/drop off location. KAYAK secured a car through Sixt Car Rental. When I arrived at LAX, I took a Sixt shuttle to the rental location 1.6 miles from LAX. When I showed my reservation to the representative, she stated that KAYAK had booked my car from a Sixt location in Venice, a 30 min car ride away. Again, I clearly indicated LAX Airport as my pick up/drop off location for this rental. I know most car rental locations at LAX are actually offsite from the Airport and you need to take a shuttle to get there. Therefore I did not think twice when the Sixt rental location that appeared on my itinerary was on 2444 Lincoln Blvd, Los Angeles, CA. I figured this location could not be more than 1 or 2 miles from LAX.

As it turned out, 2444 Lincoln Blvd is actually over 10 miles away from LAX and, per the Sixt representative I spoke to, a 30 min car ride away. How could a pickup location 1/2 hour away from LAX still be considered LAX? I had no choice but to pay an extra $82.70 for a new reservation on the spot. KAYAK failed to adhere to the pickup location of LAX Airport as specified on the reservation. I prepaid $164.36 for the reservation. I had no choice but to initiate a new car rental on the spot and pay $247.06 for the same size car. Luckily, Sixt refunded the first reservation fee of $164.36 but made it a point to tell me that they did not have to. I sent a request to KAYAK to refund me $82.70, which was the cost I incurred due to their error. KAYAK clearly erred on your duty to provide services as promised which ultimately lead to lost time and added cost for me. I have yet to hear from KAYAK.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I used KAYAK for years. They got greedy and started bad business, booked with them, they direct me to airfare, another losers. This company emailed me that my ticket not available anymore unless I change my dates. My point is why KAYAK is doing business with companies that have bad reputation. I’m done with KAYAK.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I have used KAYAK.com for years, it never worked this bad, every price they post is not real. I just spend several hours to find 2 tickets for a planned trip with flexible dates, every time I clicked on a flight that I thought it was decent the price jumped up by hundreds, on average $400, that's not honest way to do business, you either post the real price or forget it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kayak.com?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I recently booked a hotel room through Kayak and was passed on to AMOMA. When I arrived at my destination they did not have my reservation. I showed them my certificate from AMOMA but it was worthless. I contacted both Kayak and AMOMA. Kayak quickly responded and were clear that this was not their problem. As I was in an unfamiliar city I had no choice but to take a room at double the price. I would never book through Kayak again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I am upset with this travel company. I booked a trip to Maui, and when doing so I booked the hotel for a "Villa" at the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas. When I arrived my booking had been magically changed to a ONE bed ROOM!!! Luckily I only traveled with my mom. But we wanted separate beds and made it a point to book the trip in this manner. We were very disappointed that we paid for Villa and were given a hotel room. Also, when we called the person I spoke to over the phone said I booked a hotel room, we DID NOT book a room. Guess we can't fight it because our paperwork showed hotel room. Either way, never booking through this company again. BEWARE!

Original review: July 26, 2017

I sort of accidentally booked an international flight through Kayak.com. Never Again!! All their customer service is done by JustFly.com, and their people are totally incompetent. I spent over 2 hours on the phone with at least 6 different agents trying to make a simple date change to a flight. When I thought this was finally done, the email they sent me to confirm was incorrect! Plus they charged me a $150 change fee, whereas the airline only charged me $50. From now on, I book directly with the airline!! When I talked with the airline, they could have made the same change in 5 minutes, at 1/4 the price!

Original review: June 18, 2017

I booked a ticket to India with KAYAK. The flight was through Canada. Unfortunately, transit visa from Canada was not approved on time. I don't blame them for that as it is my responsibility. However, as a travel agent they did not cancel or change my ticket and of course their favorite line it is a NON-REFUNDABLE ticket and they cannot change the ticket. I lost the money and MORE IMPORTANTLY due to difficulty in reaching their service center and there untrained and unhelpful staff the whole experience was frustrating. Further, they did not Cancel the ticket in time thus blocked any chance of even count.

LESSON LEARNED. NEVER BUY FROM KAYAK and other online agents. Buy ticket from a TRAVEL AGENT (one that has an office and is recommended by friends and family). The ticket prices are same whether you buy from Online sites or a Travel Agent. In some cases it could be cheaper from Travel Agent, especially those do a lot of business with airlines. Also, human agent will provide you necessary information like changing visa requirements in today's time which an internet site will not provide.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I made a mistake on what hour for pick up and drop for a rental car. I didn't see the time of day indicator I guess the first time. You can't call the rental place and change it and you can't call KAYAK. You have to go thru email support. I wanted to talk live to someone so I wouldn't make a mistake twice. They said via email to rent a new one and they can cancel first one. Well, sure enough, I made a mistake on second one because I was so worried about getting time of day correct that I clicked on a different rental car company. Now I have two rentals cars and have to pay a seventy dollar fee to cancel the first one. All this took place in about an hour. Kayak has not responded back to me to cancel the first one despite about 4 emails asking them to. Nobody to talk to. I'm going to try disputing it with Visa.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I had a confirmed reservation with Kayak and justfly.com and right before my flight they emailed me that my reservation was cancelled with no clear explanation. The flight was full and I was not able to make my trip as planned. I highly advise anyone to avoid Kayak/Justfly.com.

Original review: March 28, 2017

In my search for a ticket to Paris, I was quoted $963 on Kayak. To make the purchase, I was directed to Delta Airlines website. After providing all requested passenger info AND credit card payment, Delta flashed a message: original quoted price no longer available. New price quoted on screen was an increase of $300. Did I want to continue with purchase? In an effort to get the originally quoted fare, I used a different computer and searched directly on the Delta website for exact same flight. Entered passenger information and credit card payment. Lo and behold, Delta flashed the same message: "original quoted price no longer available". To be clear, this happened on Delta's very own website! This is called bait and switch and should be illegal. Delta is committing fraud. I am warning friends and family about Delta and encourage Kayak to not do business with a company that commits fraud.

Original review: March 20, 2017

I made a reservation through Kayak (which involved priceline.com) and 30 min later was at the counter. I was told I could not get a car until the next morning and regardless the price quoted on the reservation would not be honored. I had to rent a car from another company at five times the amount of my Hertz quote. Absurd.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I booked rental car (Economy Rent a Car) and insurance (Allianz) via KAYAK. When I attempted to cancel the reservation, KAYAK was not able to cancel the insurance. I was informed I had to cancel through Allianz. Allianz informed me I had to cancel through KAYAK. Thus I ended up filing a complaint with my credit card agency which is still under review.

In addition to that issue the reason I want to cancel the car insurance is because Economy car rental tried to charge me ADDITIONAL when I arrived to pick up my rental!!! I left the car rental agency and went directly to a different agency where I rented a vehicle in person! This is not good customer service. Hidden fees? Can't cancel? I suggest booking direct in future.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

They are not transparent about procedure. I made a reservation with Kayak February 11, 2019. After I gave all the credit card information a new window opened saying that Vayama was processing the reservation. I used American Express and the issuer (Bank of America) felt there was something irregular and declined the charge. Hours later I get an email from a "Priyanka Narayana Swamy" asking me to resubmit my credit card as it had been declined. Upon calling American Express the fraud department agreed with me about lack of transparency about this retailer and Travix. The phone number provided to resubmit the charges was: +1.650.206.5545. A recording tells the unhappy caller to leave a message and that it will be answered in 24 or 48 hours.

I was already taken for a 800 US scam by Bravofly and I learned my lesson before forking over my money. Eventually I recovered my money after a few weeks. American Express refunded the entire amount scammed by Bravofly. These retailers use third parties and have no physical offices and much less a 1 800 number to provide customer service. Never again will I try to book an inexpensive airline ticket if the retailer does not provide a customer service number which I will first call first to make the reservation. Kayak, Vayama and Bravofly are not in the business of providing a service with transparency. Caveat Emptor BUYER BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I have signed up for price alert with Kayak for my upcoming flight. Kayak's website continues to show recommendation to wait for the price to come down. At the same time I am being swamped with alert emails from Kayak showing even higher prices and recommending buying them now as the "prices may rise soon". This highly praised and recommended feature is a useless, shameful marketing trick should be removed according to Truth in Advertising laws.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

They have hidden fees... I ended up paying double!!! I've made up a budget to get a hotel so they seem to fit my price range. After I booked the hotel room they insert all kinds of hidden fees that I did not agree with. When I did the booking I already paid 30% more in fees than the advertised price. I got to the hotel and I was pushed to pay even more fees!! What do they provide for all these fees?? I ended up paying double than my budget?? I just want to know the price per night before I book anything and before I get to the hotel!!! If I'm looking to get a $100 room and I end up paying $200 is a huge difference!!! That's not my price range!!! This is Unacceptable!!! Such liars!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

This is a great site that allows you to look on multiple possibilities at one time and to choose the best for you. It is very important that this site allows you to search not only for one-way or round trip, but also for MULTIPLE DESTINATIONS flights, and very few sites can do this. Each time I need to book a flight ticket, I always start from KAYAK.COM, as my first choice.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

The first website I visit when I begin my travel research process is Kayak. I like the way the website is set up and it's ease of use. Kayak even allows me to click on the other sites I would like to compare them to during the search process.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I use Kayak mainly for air travel. It consistently gave me the best options. I am retired so I have lots of free time. For each trip, I normal compare the results from 2 other travel aggregators. Some aggregator site is better for Asia, others for South American, and Asia. However, Kayak gave me superior results for WW travel.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

I have found despite their advertising, I don't always get the lowest motel/hotel rates from visiting their website, or any other travel website, for that matter. Twice I have found lower rates by going directly to that property's website. Plus, one of those websites Kayak directs you to keeps raising their rates every time you click away from their page to compare, and going back to it even if it's a time difference of 10 seconds or less! I don't like being played that way! Other than that, Kayak is fairly easy to use.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

I booked a Delta flight through Kayak and without my permission they signed me up for a credit card in order to get the rate list. Two months later I started getting calls from American Express about this card I didn't know anything about which was overdue. Fortunately American Express didn't charge me the late fees but the agent didn't seem too surprised when I mentioned I had purchased it through a 3rd party seller like Kayak.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

Remember those great commercials that Kayak had a couple of years ago? That is where they spent their money, not on actually providing great service. I spent the better part of 3 or 4 hours trying to book a flight with them over a period of three days. The flights that were available did come up well enough, but I later discovered that I could get flights cheaper through other services like Expedia. Money transfers were a problem, and even though I filled out all their information as I commonly do when making an internet purchase, the payment was declined multiple times. I tried different cards, I phoned my card service provider to make sure money was available, and that it didn't get blocked due to some quirky issue, but to no avail.

What did happen, though, was somehow my card got charged $77 - which is weird given the fact that I was trying to pay something over $1200. I got an email telling me that my card was declined and to click "here" to revisit the opportunity to pay. Never worked and just ended up allowing me to go in circles again in another vain attempt to solidify dates. Talked to people at Kayak help centers with little success. Nice enough people, but useless in terms of helping me attain the goal I was trying to achieve. Main offices were all closed. Sent an email but never got a reply. Decided finally that I had given them enough chances and it was time to cut my losses.

Went on to Expedia, found the same flights but at a cheaper price (go figure!). That surprised me. Then I paid with my credit card and expected the same problems. However it worked right away, first time, with no headaches, annoying emails, or need to get help from an agent. Who knew booking a flight could be so easy - but not with Kayak. Bottom line - don't even bother going onto the Kayak website. Try a different method of booking and chances are you will get your booking done faster, cheaper, and with less issues. Really.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

Kayak does not specifically, outright tell you they're a free search engine and do not book or contribute to maintaining your bookings at all. I booked an airline flight home with Qatar Airlines who could not find my booking when I called to reconfirm flight details a week before departing on my trip. Kayak, also, could not find my details. My call was escalated to a supervisor Esther, who ended up being a VP of marketing (VP for very pathetic) who gave me a whole line of Kayak sanctioned garbage.

I tried to explain my side and she kept talking over me and not letting me speak and I started to scream at her "Let me speak!" and she told me she didn't have to listen to me and disconnected the call. I called back and spoke to her and explained that Kayak in fact directed me to the airline because I never received any confirmations from Kayak or the airline. She told me there was no way Kayak told me who the airline was and it must have been someone "posing" as a Kayak representative! Hilarious!!! Esther turned out to be OK once she actually tried listening instead of railroading the conversation but Kayak is very vague about who really books the trip. My recommendation is dump this trashy company and go with a transparent, easy to deal with company who can assist and be held to some level of accountability for their transactions.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

I recently booked a 2 stops flight instead of 1 stop flight from hyderabad to new york. The search result in Kayak shows incorrect result of 2 stops when we filter the results to show only 1 stop flight. Kayak Result shows the flight details as HYD to Bombay to JFK but the flight also stops in Delhi which makes it 2 Stops. But Kayak doesn't show this delhi stop at all. Expecting this to be a 1 stop flight I booked this flight, Later I came to know through air india that flight also stops in delhi. I called kayak to complain but there is nothing that they could do to fix it. I hated this experience.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

A bit of new to booking hotel online by myself. I was looking for hotels in Bangkok using google map so that my hotel is closed enough to BTS station. Choose Galleria 10 Hotel Bangkok, clicked on the map and select dates. Among other booking sites, I clicked on KAYAK and continue booking unknowingly that it forwarded me to Galleria 10 Hotel which is nearby. End up booking for 2 nights non-refundable. (The final booking took place at hotel.com which was again forwarded.) This is not acceptable.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I booked a car rental at DFW airport location, or so I thought. I entered the pick up location specifically as DFW. When I showed up at the airport Budget counter, they said that I had actually been booked at an offsite Budget that was 30 minutes away! I tried to just get a car there, but the cost was $250 vs. $95, so I chose to go to the offsite location. It was 30 minutes IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION of where I was traveling, and it cost me $60 for the Uber car to take me there. SO FRUSTRATING!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

Back in November of 2015, I booked a flight from NYC to London to visit some friends I hadn't seen in a few years. This was going to be my first time flying to Europe and unfortunately I was not able to go on the trip. My first complain about Kayak is that, Kayak itself, does not send you a confirmation email. They booked my flight with justfly.com and I had no idea it had happened. It takes them days to process the payment so you are not even sure the purchase was made. I had to call the justfly.com customer service to ask if payment was received and if they could send me a receipt. Payment was made, no receipt was sent and it took me almost an hour and a half to talk to someone.

My second and biggest complain is that their customer service is beyond horrible. I've traveled a fair share between my home country and the US for 7 years now and completely understand the rules of travel sites and airlines but this one was incredibly insane. I was not able to go on my trip because my mother got extremely sick a few days before. So sick to the point that I had to move back to my home country not knowing how long she was going to live.

I called Kayak to let ask if there was any way I could get a refund or partial refund for my ticket since I don't have a lot of money and shipping internationally is not cheap at all. They refused to do anything about it so I had to stay longer in the US to sell some of my belongings and gather some money. My mother passed away before I could make it home. I lost my job, half of my belongings and I was out almost $800 that could have been for a plane ticket home and shipping at least some of the stuff I had from the life I had made the past 7 years.

I clearly understand policies and everything. It's not like I want to rip them off or anything. I've always respected all the rules they have and totally take responsibility if I miss a flight or something like that, but I think this was quite the special and extraordinary circumstance. I was on the phone for 3 hours and it was my first time using Kayak. Safe to say I haven't used it again nor will I do it in the future.

Original review: July 19, 2016

I bought plane tickets from Berlin to Marseilles for July 25. I used Paypal to pay for the purchase. Apparently, KAYAK passed the order for the plane tickets on BRAVOFLY. I never received a confirmation mail, from KAYAK or BRAVOFLY, and do not even know which company I am supposed to be flying with. On the BRAVOFLY website, they ask you for a booking number if you did not get a confirmation mail, which I don't have because for some good reason in the KAYAK app, my "your bookings" section is completely empty. There is NO trace whatsoever of the booking. So the only proof I have that I ever actually bought the plane tickets is my Paypal receipt.

When I wrote to KAYAK so they would solve my problem, they sent me the number to BRAVOFLY customer service, which now wants me to pay six and something Euros to even talk to someone. I am shocked and I don't know if I will be able to actually get my tickets before I was supposed to leave. I would strongly advise you NEVER to use KAYAK or BRAVOFLY.

Original review: June 30, 2016

I travel a lot, 50k to 100k per year. So my use of comparison sites for airfares is high. Apparently it is too high for Kayak. Recently Kayak started asking me, ON EVERY SINGLE SEARCH, if I am a robot. Sometimes it takes "only" two or three extra clicks, per search, to reassure them. After a couple of searches they get really, really worried and they make me prove that I'm not a robot by asking a multi-choice challenge. (i.e. "How many of the following twelve photos have trees in them.") Customer service told me that they can do nothing to stop this, because I, uh, travel. (WTF? Are you kidding?!!!) You see, they can clear a specific IP address, but they cannot clear a user account. Well, I may not be a robot, but neither am I, any longer, a Kayak customer. Too bad, they have a nice interface.

Kayak.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KAYAK is a search engine that connects travelers to services offered by travel agencies all over the world. It was founded in 2004 and acquired by the Priceline Group in 2013.

• Hundreds of sites: KAYAK's search engine draws results from hundreds of travel websites to give travelers the best deals possible.

• Travel Hacker: Travelers can read an annual guide to the most popular destinations researched on KAYAK.

• Organization: The site automatically organizes itineraries and expenses for services booked through the website.

• Mobile app: KAYAK's mobile app lets travelers schedule services on the go.

• Price alerts: Customers receive price alerts when selected services fall below certain prices.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs