2. Travel

KAYAK

KAYAK
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.50/5

KAYAK Reviews

Original review: May 27, 2020

Booked a multiplicity flight through Kayak. (Big mistake - never do this). Involved two airlines (A and B). One of the legs was cancelled by airline B. Cannot get to airline A's flight. Call Kayak. They say "Cannot rebook you on another flight - you need to cancel and rebook everything". I cancel those flights and rebook. I end up paying for parts of itinerary with airline A - Kayak totally useless - I call them. They say call the airline - I call the airline they say call Kayak. Kayak customer service do not even know their own rules and are totally unprofessional and useless. One customer service rep said "because I cannot get Turkish Airlines on the phone I cannot help you - you will just have to pay." I ended up paying for a flight which Kayak cancelled.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I never got into trouble with Kayak for domestic US flights. (Unless you count the time I learned the hard way never to fly Spirit Airlines.) The first time I used Kayak to book internationally was the last time I used Kayak, ever. They obviously don't vet their resellers. I get that you're a search engine, but if you return bad results, it makes you a bad search engine. Now, too late, I have learned a painful, useless lesson never to buy Kiwi.com or through Kayak.com.

I'll run it down for you if you want more details. I bought a booking to Croatia through Kayak, from Kiwi. They changed my flight twice. Once on Jan 30, and again on Feb 4. Both changes were with longer layovers. You are offered to pay more to keep your original layovers, but if you do not pay more, Kiwi obviously considers themselves to be selling you the same product that you bought. So now it will take me 35 hours. Fine. I am a tough guy. I will sit in the airport and read a book for 12 hours in Dublin or Warsaw or where ever they change my layover to.

This morning, the coronavirus hit Croatia. I wanted to call to ask if I could cancel. No problem, here's a phone number. I call it, enter my booking number and it says, "An error has occurred. Please call again later." I called again, not much later, same thing. I called a third time and it's one of those IVR systems that feels it's justified in hanging up on you if you don't enter your booking number. Smug ** IVR. No problem, I'll email. Ooops! I bought the 'basic' package that has no email support. So literally, I cannot call or email anyone about my booking. I replied to the email and received an autoreply directing me to kiwi.com. There is literally nothing I can do about my booking now. I will never use Kayak or Kiwi.com ever again.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Horrible! Still at ACE rental car in Sacramento trying to get my rental. Your site advertised a Hotwire deal and nowhere does it say “it is at least 20 minutes away and there is no shuttle, but an Uber service you have to call through and wait for”. REALLY!!?? I found out while in the Sac airport rental bldg, that ACE is NOT in this bldg. I called Ace and they said (after 2 people) that they would call me back in 10 minutes of where to meet uber. Over 30 minutes later, I called them back and they said they can’t pick me up at rental car bldg and that I needed to go back to airport. After complaining, they said they can send an Uber to rental car bldg. I finally got to ACE rental car and am now standing online waiting - it has been over an hour since I hopped on shuttle to rental car booth and still no car.

This is ridiculous and I don’t have time to waste and am missing work meeting now. You need to advertise correctly. If all rental cars are off-airport, that doesn’t tell someone that ifs not the close REAL rental car bldg!! AND no shuttle! I never would have rented from here! And now the car insurance is $26/day and I don't have any other options as I am in the middle of nowhere!!! More than the vehicle itself! Kayak, you need to vet out WHO you advertise and HOW it is advertised.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Booked a room for three nights through Kayak with Get A Room. Got to hotel. They had no reservation. Paid hotel directly for one night. Had to leave the next day. Tried to resolve issue and get a refund by calling a Get A Room rep. Representative promised to send email telling us how to proceed. Never received email. Kayak should do a better job of reviewing the booking sites they refer to.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

The service is very bad. With my girlfriend we hired a flight and hotel package to Punta Cana and they gave us the flight to Santo Domingo Airport 200 kilometers from our hotel! Then, upon requesting the change to the correct airport, they informed us that it was impossible, except for forgiving the total amount of the air tickets. A shame. Do not be fooled even if a slightly cheaper price, it will end up being quite more expensive

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kayak.com?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I booked a flight through Kayak and was re-directed to flight partner Flyfar. They are shady and use deceptive means to rip people off with fake offers. I spent the $72 in flight change insurance. I called to change the outbound part of my flight and the cost to "change the flight" is more than it would cost me to purchase a brand new ticket. This is because they no longer honor the prices online and make up their own prices for change flights. I was also told the taxes were so different between the cities. When I asked what the change in taxes were the agent was unable to tell me and said it wasn't specified to him. It is also cheaper for me to buy a brand new ticket to fly between the cities I now need to go to instead of changing 1 leg of my trip. I am left realizing that the ticket exchange insurance is a racket. The intention was never to honor it and have written a bunch of hidden rules designed to rip off the customer.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Scam company. Took money. No provide my ticket. I have three kids, took my money. Horrible company. Be careful people. I am asking refund my money so no refund policy. You won’t buy a new ticket for $4000 is crazy or joke. Sorry I don’t have money. I’m not rich. Please help us.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

On March 11, 2019, I used Kayak to book a pair of airplane tickets for a trip from Burlington, VT to Seattle returning from Sacramento, CA back to Burlington 2 weeks later. On the day of travel, I discovered that while they transmitted all the information to American Airlines for the first flight but put a hold on it. The return flight was booked on Delta and the flight was booked.

I tried to contact Kayak by email and by phone for an explanation but have gotten no response. My credit card was billed for both flights and I would like to get an explanation to give to my credit card company. I had to buy a second set of tickets for myself and my wife because of obligations in the Northwest at a substantially greater cost for a next day flight. Further, Kayak’s blunder caused me to miss my twin sister’s 50th wedding anniversary. Not only was the service substandard but the lack of response is unpardonable. I gave them one star but they don’t deserve that.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Amazing. You check prices on Kayak and they finally come up with several reasonable prices (although you need to actually check the airline's prices) and then they send you an alert and all of a sudden, the prices are 100% more than what was shown a day ago. Do they not think you can actually remember the original prices? ** Kayak.

Original review: July 29, 2019

$1648.84 Reference # ** Ukraine International Airlines flight 233. Ticket# **, Ticket#** - We arrived one hour before boarding from a connecting flight at LaGuardia. The people at the counter of Ukraine Air refused my husband and I and nine other guest BOARDING PASSES. The woman checking boarding passes saw our online purchased tickets but without the passes wouldn’t let us through and told us that Ukraine Air was lying to us and could NOT withhold passes. The Manager refused to talk to us until the plane left.

We received text messages while at the counter of when boarding began and another text when boarding had closed. We have traveled all over the world and never been denied our boarding passes. EVER. We saved for a year to take this trip. Which resulted in us having to purchase tickets double the original cost.

Ukraine US **, Lufthansa ** - $3014.82. Over TEN people were denied boarding passes. This is absolute fraud. I would NEVER RECOMMEND buying tickets with UKRAINE AIR. WORST EXPERIENCE I have ever had using KAYAK as they didn’t seem to care about the situation AT ALL.

Kayak.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

KAYAK is a search engine that connects travelers to services offered by travel agencies all over the world. It was founded in 2004 and acquired by the Priceline Group in 2013.

• Hundreds of sites: KAYAK's search engine draws results from hundreds of travel websites to give travelers the best deals possible.

• Travel Hacker: Travelers can read an annual guide to the most popular destinations researched on KAYAK.

• Organization: The site automatically organizes itineraries and expenses for services booked through the website.

• Mobile app: KAYAK's mobile app lets travelers schedule services on the go.

• Price alerts: Customers receive price alerts when selected services fall below certain prices.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team