KAYAK
1.34/5
Based on 131 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a travel site?

KAYAK

133 KAYAK Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Tried to book flight on Kayak. Unknown to me they send you over to 3rd party to book. 3rd party named “Flybus.com” was on the processing paperwork after entering credit card info and hitting payment submit... no convo, no emails. So I called and they said, "Oh it’s booked, no worries! I’m sending you receipt now”. Another strange thing in my eyes why he’s manually sending receipt... so I then looked on my visa. They charged MORE than what they said total was and used an airline name not Kayak or their name... so another red flag. Told wife something wasn’t right, she to her horror went on Google to see the flood of fraud reports on this same thing, DON'T USE KAYAK.com. They let these fraud companies run wild selling on their platform.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I did a search on Kayak for a one-way flight from Bar Harbor, Maine to Fort Lauderdale. Kayak listed a flight flight of $274 using Cape Air and JetBlue. Above the search results in the fee assistant box, I did a plus one of a carry-on and a plus one of a checked bag. When you add or remove a bag in the fee assistant you will see a pop up that says, "Prices have updated based on your selection." When I added the checked bag the fare then changed to $304, which reflects the bag fee. When you select the flight details it says "You Pay $304". When you click to purchase the deal you are then redirected to the JetBlue site and the fare is now $353 and doesn't include the $30 bag fee.

I did the chat with the Kayak help desk. I provided screen captures along with the details above and they said that the $304 is only valid when you book the flight. I explained that's what I was trying to do. I was then told that fare is no longer available and it will take approx. 2 min to update. I was receiving that fare info 20 min prior to reaching out to their support people because the redirect and higher fare didn't make sense. Yes fares change and I get that and know it well as I travel 75% yearly with my job. It has now been 30 min since my chat session and Kayak is still showing the $304 fare with a checked bag included and when that fare is selected there is still a redirect to JetBlue with a $353 fare and the checked bag is not included.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

They charged me $350 plus $169 to change my flight date... my ticket was $872. It went up to $1400. Had so much hard time to communicate with them... heavy Pakistani accent. They told me they were a travel agent in Virginia.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I travel internationally frequently and usually use the other TWO LARGE online travel companies. When I booked my tickets with Kayak I inputted our first, middle and last names since anyone traveling knows the names on the passport must match the airline tickets exactly... EXACTLY. I booked my tickets ex: John Jacob Smith and Jane Anne Smith. Two days later I get the confirmation as john smith and jane smith. No capitalization and no middle names. When I called they said I was past my 24 hour change period and they would have to cancel. I had no choice but to give them another $350 per ticket for cancelation, $200 tax fee and book new tickets at a higher price. So I did this knowing it would cost me $1100 more that I wouldn't get back after arguing with them and showing them on my emails that it was their mistake.

They would not take my emails as proof showing I booked the tickets correctly since they outsource their customer service to India. I got an "I don't care" attitude. I had to get the tickets so I gave them another $1100 knowing they would cancel my first tickets that they changed my names on. Well after calling for 5 weeks they finally credited my credit card. There is no one you can talk to at Kayak. It is outsourced to Airfair.com. I will never use Kayak again and am out over $1100 for a mistake that they made but would not honor. I even sent them pictures of my emails showing the names on day 1 were booked correctly only to be entered by them incorrectly with no middle names.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I used my mobile application to buy a ticket for my brother in law. The application applied my name to the ticket instead of his name. Despite multiple attempts to change the ticket, they pushed me around and responded with how I will be charged to make any change to a ticket which was a mistake to buy. In the end they never made the changes and the whole ticket was lost. I will use Google Flights from now on. Emirates disowned them and said they would not help me with the problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kayak.com?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I attempted to book a one night hotel stay, using KAYAK, 8/25/18-8/26/18. I took pictures with my iPhone as I was booking. KAYAK came up as the cheapest site to book this stay. After I put my payment info in and pressed confirm... the next screen said I booked for the next day! I went back to my screenshots which said correct dates as above. Of course this is a “nonrefundable “ transaction. I called KAYAK right away to explain above. Told them I do not want a refund, but that I wanted the room sched for the day before, as the site changed the dates when confirm button was pressed. Customer service rep said this was not possible. I requested to speak to a supervisor and was told there is not a supervisor on duty. My husband took the phone and said he wanted to speak to a supervisor and rep hung up on him. We will try to stop payment on this transaction as I believe it is a scam. I will never trust/use this site again.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I've been using KAYAK for years! A friend of mine who travels often told me about it. Back in the day, I thought it was the best thing going. I'd get the best prices and be able to check so many companies (airlines, I mostly used it for flights) at once & then be re-directed to the company/website to book it.

Original review: July 23, 2018

KAYAK did not have a discount compared to just going to the airline/hotel. I was able to get a better deal when I went to the hotel and airlines website directly.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I will not use them again. They had Flighthub arrange my flight; couldn't get flight insurance - had to find my own. Flight was more expensive than I could have found had I not used them. Disappointed.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have never used it to purchase flights, but only to check and compare and find out who to go to, and there is just something about it that does not work for me.

Kayak.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KAYAK is a search engine that connects travelers to services offered by travel agencies all over the world. It was founded in 2004 and acquired by the Priceline Group in 2013.

• Hundreds of sites: KAYAK's search engine draws results from hundreds of travel websites to give travelers the best deals possible.

• Travel Hacker: Travelers can read an annual guide to the most popular destinations researched on KAYAK.

• Organization: The site automatically organizes itineraries and expenses for services booked through the website.

• Mobile app: KAYAK's mobile app lets travelers schedule services on the go.

• Price alerts: Customers receive price alerts when selected services fall below certain prices.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs