KAYAK
2.03/5

Looking for a travel site?

KAYAK

148 KAYAK Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Great site, best prices, fast alerts to inform of price increases or decreases. My one stop site for all my travel needs. The only price comparison site you will ever need. Easy to navigate, gives me precise and accurate info.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I've used Kayak for years. It has been oft imitated, but none of the copy cats have shown me any reason to switch. It is comprehensive and fairly easy to use. Notifications of changes in prices for selected routes is very helpful.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

As is in the reservation you made, no hidden cost, or other fishy stuff, the ease of use what made me use KAYAK ever since I heard about it from a friend. We both now use it as it's much easier to use.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I've been using KAYAK for years! A friend of mine who travels often told me about it. Back in the day, I thought it was the best thing going. I'd get the best prices and be able to check so many companies (airlines, I mostly used it for flights) at once & then be re-directed to the company/website to book it.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Kayak's especially a great site for those looking to create a personalized itinerary with the best values available. My husband and I used it for a European trip last Fall and found exactly what we wanted at surprisingly good rates.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kayak.com?

Original review: May 8, 2019

I'm a member of Kayak.com. I recently went on Kayak and purchased a ticket through Vayama.com. When I tried to select a seat on the airline website, I could not find my reservation. I tried for hours. Finally, I contacted Korean Airlines which had two legs of the trip. A very patient and helpful Korean Airlines agent finally found the problem. The agent said I would not be able to access my reservation or board the flight as my name had been inverted Last name was first, first name was last (** Keith instead of Keith **). Having had no success contacting Kayak, I called Vayama.com (only had to wait 6 minutes the first time) and told me they got my name wrong. The first thing I noticed about both agents I spoke with, is that they seemed to be angry that I called.

The first thing the first Vayama.com agent did after hearing my problem was to start arguing with me. Sometime during my explanation that if he checked my credit card receipt, he would see EXACTLY what my name was, he hung up on me. I downloaded a Skype audio recorder and called Vayama.com again. The second time I called, I waited 20 minutes before explaining my problem to the agent and being hung up on. As I was recording this call, I was on my best, most polite behavior as I plan on publishing the audio recording. I checked to make sure there was not a technical problem on my end (there was not) and wondered if the call center in India was having a technical problem.

Either way, at this point I had six hours invested in trying to get my name correct on the reservation so I could utilize the ticket I had purchased. At this stage I was very happy with myself that I had purchased trip insurance. At the same time, I wondered if the insurer was going to route my call to the same call center that had already hung up on me twice. Undaunted, I called again. This time, after waiting 30 minutes, the agent appeared to be genuinely concerned and mined down to the issue (seemed pretty simple, but okay). Asked me to email a copy of my passport and ‘they would see what they could do). Unfortunately, after nearly seven hours of trying to fix their mistake, I can conclude I will never use Kayak.com or Vayama.com again.

Original review: April 1, 2019

This app is very convenient but do not trust any features letting you select carry on and baggage number. It will show prices for tickets not including them anyway.

And nowhere during your booking process you’ll be able to see that they are or not included. I’ve booked tickets selecting 1 carry on and 1 checked baggage. And after reservation I received my travel documents and no baggage is included. Now I have to pay extra for them, and I booked a ticket a higher price than what I could have find. Upon contacting customer service they offered no help, and no reimbursement of cancellation fees, neither offering to pay for bags. I feel cheated.

Original review: March 5, 2019

On March 1st we booked a Comfort Inn & Suites in Michigan City, IN on Hotels.com via Kayak.com. I have a screenshot of the confirmed booking. When we arrived at the property we found that it was NOT, nor had ever been (according to the asst. manager on duty) a Comfort Inn. It was, in fact, not even a nationally recognized chain hotel. It was Michigan City Inn, complete with a painted out Clarion Hotel sign without lights. (I also have a photo of the sign). We did not check in, as this IS NOT at all what we paid for. We requested a refund, which was refused.

It is my contention that the Hotels.com app misrepresented the property and created a "bait and switch" advertising situation, which is illegal in the United States. We contacted Hotels.com customer service, who were unable to help due to the refusal of the property to allow a refund. We fully intend to dispute the charge with our credit card company, but I am seriously considering passing this info on to the Federal Trade Commission, as we were victims of a violation of federal a law at the hands of the Hotels.com app.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I found a flight from NYC to Rome, I spent hours looking for the best price and dates. I was so excited to finally book this flight. I put in my credit card and then I took a picture of my drivers license and my face to verify. Third party verification then failed. I called customer service and they said they couldn’t help and I couldn’t contact the third party. My money is now waiting to be transferred back to my card. I then called and said I was going to book this again and to tell the third party that it was indeed me making the purchase. I took a picture of my passport and then of my face, two hours later, it failed again. I called kayak and explained I wanted that specific flight and I booked it with a third credit card. I called and manually verified with them. It failed again! I then booked through United Airlines and had zero problems! I paid about $200 but at least I am on a flight on the specific dates I had wanted! Kayak is a terrible service!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Kayak uses illegal immigrants that setup business in our country to steal money from average travelers. When the agency is questioned, they lie. They charge people two full fares when they need to change a flight due to connections with cruiseline changes. Air.com is robbing people.

Kayak.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

KAYAK is a search engine that connects travelers to services offered by travel agencies all over the world. It was founded in 2004 and acquired by the Priceline Group in 2013.

• Hundreds of sites: KAYAK's search engine draws results from hundreds of travel websites to give travelers the best deals possible.

• Travel Hacker: Travelers can read an annual guide to the most popular destinations researched on KAYAK.

• Organization: The site automatically organizes itineraries and expenses for services booked through the website.

• Mobile app: KAYAK's mobile app lets travelers schedule services on the go.

• Price alerts: Customers receive price alerts when selected services fall below certain prices.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs