2. Travel
  3. Travel Agencies

Hicksville, NY

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Overseas Adventure Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overseas Adventure Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overseas Adventure Travel?

Original review: March 11, 2021

We signed up for a trip which we paid in full in Oct. 2020, because of covid they canceled the trip. When I asked for my refund they said it would take 90 business days to refund. Suppose to return our funds June 2021... I think that is ridiculous since other tour companies have returned our money immediately. I would never recommend this company for any travel. Very poor that they need to work on our money since last Oct. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

OAT cancelled my trip without my knowledge and refused to give me a refund. I learned about the cancellation when I received a strange email from their insurance company stating they had changed my travel insurance as requested. Since I had not requested a change to my travel insurance I contacted the insurance company to inquire about their strange email. It took several insurance company personnel to find out that OAT had cancelled my trip due to Covid-19 and arbitrarily placed me on a trip a year later. OAT's actions were particularly deceptive, because only 3 weeks before the cancellation I had attended an OAT traveler meeting during which OAT management assured the attendees that if OAT cancelled a tour due to Covid, OAT would issue a full refund. Yet only 3 weeks after that meeting, they cancelled my trip and refused to refund my payments.

I wrote several letters/emails to request a refund. My emails reminded OAT that only 3 weeks before the cancellation, OAT management assured the attendees at an OAT meeting I attended that full refunds would be given if OAT cancelled a trip due to Covid-19. However, there was no response to my emails - just a voicemail stating they would not give me a refund. I was shocked at how poorly the cancellation was handled - that OAT never had the courtesy to contact me to let me know my trip was cancelled. I had to learn about the cancellation after inquiring about the strange email from their travel insurance company. I had taken several trips with OAT before the cancelled trip. I enjoyed those trips and if OAT had acted properly and refunded my payments for the cancelled trip I would have joined them on future trips. However, the treatment I received showed a lack of professionalism and more importantly trustworthiness.

As an established international company I am very disappointed that they would treat one of their frequent travelers in this manner. That is particularly the case because I was looking forward to resuming international travel when Covid-19 is behind us. There are so many more places I want to visit and I now have to find a travel company that I can trust.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

This would have been my 12th OAT trip. In March 2020, booked a trip to South America for Nov. 2020 departure, 8 months in future. OAT Tripadvisor promised I could cancel any time for any reason and get 100% refund, which is stated in their contract, and I agreed to take travel insurance, for which she pushed hard ($2300). Had to cancel for unforeseen medical reasons following month. Had paid $1000 deposit to OAT. OAT refunded $400, then told me I had to contact a company called Allianz to whom they had given $600 of my deposit to without my knowledge. After months of filling out Allianz's online forms, plus sending them hard copies and a physician's letter, since it was impossible to reach anyone there by phone, I gave up being stonewalled by Allianz and recontacted OAT.

OAT's answer was that they could do nothing to help me and that I had to deal directly with Allianz. So I lost $600 of my deposit and the $2300 in travel insurance all in a period of one month. By the way the OAT insurance Company??? it was Allianz. Definitely a conflict of interest. Bottom line...After being an OAT customer for more than a dozen years, I will never again trust OAT with my money.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

We have previously enjoyed four tours and excellent service with Grand Circle Travel (parent of OAT). Our 2020 OAT tour to Israel and Greece was cancelled due to COVID-19 (understandable). Customer care since then has been awful. Originally OAT offered a full refund and future travel credit. When we opted for a refund, we were notified that refunds were no longer available and we were required to rebook the same or different tour for future travel. I protested this and was elevated to a manager who told me they would not make an exception.

We then reserved a 2021 tour. When the invoice for the new trip was received, it was nearly $2000 more than quoted by the Reservation agent. I protested the higher cost and was told they would investigate the travel credits that had been offered by the agent. We were at the deadline for receiving the "Good Buy" discount for the new trip so I paid the full cost of the invoice under protest. OAT then applied travel credits so that I had a credit balance of -$1989.35 on an invoice date June 17. I called to ask for the credit balance to be refunded. OAT said they would send a refund in 90 days. Instead, I receive a new invoice on 8/11/20 with Miscellaneous "COVID Certificate Issued" cost of $1989.35 added to trip cost, so now my credit balance is zero. No call or email to explain the additional cost.

A call to OAT indicated these "COVID certificates" are for future travel, even though I was told it would be refunded. I once again asked for the money to be refunded and was told my request would have to be submitted to a manager as an exception. Very disappointed that OAT is clearly forgoing customer service in favor of their own financial protection. OAT and Grand Circle are not to be trusted at this point.

Original review: July 29, 2020

Updated on 08/27/2020: This is an update to an earlier post of 7/29/2020. I have been informed by OAT and their insurance company "Allianz" that I am to get a full refund and to expect same within 8-10 days. This was almost a month ago and I have received "nothing". Just thought consumers should be informed as to what type of company they are dealing with. Should I get a refund from the above company I will post a response when that event happens. Steve **

Original Review: Purchased trip to Egypt on 10/26/2019 which included trip insurance with the provision I could "cancel for any reason". On 5/1/2020 OAT sent a letter saying my trip was rescheduled for a year later. There was absolutely no communication between OAT and myself and I had no input in the matter. I have since requested my money back and OAT has refused. I am out my full trip, airline and insurance expense. They still have not contacted me and the only thing I can do is warn everyone to avoid this company at all costs.

Original review: July 15, 2020

My wife and I booked a Sicily tour for spring 2020 and paid over $17,000. OAT cancelled the trip due to COVID-19 and originally offered a full refund as an option (as required by Mass state law). Without any prior notification, they withdrew the refund option and instead booked us on an identical tour for 2021. They ignored our written request for a refund and did not provide any satisfaction when contacted by phone. We filed a complaint with the Mass attorney general and a dispute with our credit card company. Luckily after a waiting period of 60 days, we received a full refund from Visa. OAT obviously valued short-term monetary benefits over long-term customer loyalty and in our case, lost.

Original review: July 12, 2020

In 2016, I began my first OAT trip in the Peruvian Amazon. The next stops were Lima (Macchu Pichu), Quito, and, finally, the Galapagos Islands. Upon stepping off the plane in Lima, my chest severely contracted -- the first time ever! Clearly, I had developed High Altitude Sickness, severely exacerbated by our direct travel to an artisan village at an higher altitude than Lima. Within two hours, I was very ill....parched, dizzy, exhausted. I now understand that our very competent guide was communicating with his 'local' supervisors who made no attempt to provide medical assistance, even oxygen, for three days until I was hotel bound in Quito.

OAT in Boston later claimed that there was no medical facility in LIMA to treat me. It was our guide's personal friend, a high altitude specialist, who confirmed my illness and connected with my travel insurance company in Canada. I was given no option but to return home ASAP (2 days later) although by that time I had recovered. Unfortunately, HAS did spark asthma which continues to affect my life....ALL BECAUSE OAT'S ITINERARY IGNORED THE NEED TO REMAIN FOR A DAY OR TWO AT THE LOWER ALTITUDE TO ACCLIMATE.

For many weeks, OAT in Boston (Including top management) refused to accept ANY responsibility, even claiming that Lima had no medical facilities to treat me!! Initially, I only requested reimbursement for the second half of the trip. I was refused -- not their fault that I became ill in Lima. Eventually, I contacted the Attorney General of Massachusetts (also in charge of Consumer Complaints). A day later, I received a FULL REFUND for the entire trip from OAT. That is the way to go!!

I have since traveled two more times with OAT and been generally very satisfied with OAT. I later learned that the itinerary from Lima has been changed to a night or two in the Sacred Valley -- at a lower altitude than the artisanal village. I am now booked for travel in late May 2021. No travel insurance covers Covid 19-related travel disruptions. I don't want to pay in full close to departure date in late May. At age 75, I might not be able to travel at a later/safer time.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I am among the many customers whose travel was affected by Covid-19. I was to travel to Morocco in March. I had the same unacceptable treatment as many customers who wrote reviews. I was stunned by the poor communications and unfair treatment by OAT. However, over the last month OAT has made a complete turnaround. I have received a full refund, a $500 credit for future travel and a written apology from the Vice Chairman Harriet Lewis. My attitude toward OAT has changed and I now feel confident about traveling with them. This is a difficult time for everyone and OAT has made full reparation. This difficult experience is behind me and I hope covid-19 will not be an issue when I want to travel to Morocco with OAT next March.

Georgette

Original review: June 30, 2020

OAT no longer provides refunds for trips, even if the company cancels. They hold funds and require you apply them to subsequent travel. This can be thousands of dollars and is not consumer-friendly.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I paid a $350 pre-deposit for OAT's trip to South India for 2021, which is refundable until dates are selected. OAT informed me that that are not running the trip in 2021 due to COVID, so I requested a refund. It's now been over 2 months and I haven't received the refund. I've called a couple times and have also sent emails, which they never respond to (maybe because they don't want a paper trail?). The last time I called they said it would take 90 days for them to refund the money. I'm now going to try going through my credit card company to see if the amount can be credited to my credit card (one of the reasons I would never pay them with a check).

I've traveled with OAT 11 times, and have had wonderful experiences, but their front office is a real problem. Undoubtedly they are having cash flow problems, but this isn't the way to treat long-time customers. I've seen other reviewers note that they are now trying to give credits for future trips rather than refunds for fully paid trips. I have 2 trips planned with OAT for 2021. I have downloaded the terms and conditions that I agreed to for those trips and took screen shots of my account showing the date of the agreed to terms. These terms pre-date the new terms recently adopted by OAT and provide for a refund for any trips cancelled by OAT, rather than a credit.

I would advise anyone who signed up for a trip with OAT prior to COVID to download the terms that they agreed to. It would be useful to have this information in writing in the event OAT cancels a future trip and refuses to provide a cash refund. Their new policy dated May of 2020 (and later versions) does note that they have the option of providing a travel credit, which they would undoubtedly opt to do. In the meantime, if COVID is still an issue 90 days prior to my next departure and they haven't yet cancelled the trip, I will transfer the deposit to another trip rather than letting them hold the entire balance while I fight with them about providing a refund.

Overseas Adventure Travel Company Information