Hicksville, NY

1.3/5 (42 ratings)

About Overseas Adventure Travel

Overseas Adventure Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overseas Adventure Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overseas Adventure Travel?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

OAT stole my money! That’s a fact. I received a letter from the owner of the company Hariet ** stating that I can cancel my trip and receive a full refund. The letter says for reservations over 90 days out, I could cancel and receive a full refund. So I cancelled my reservation on on September 30th, 2022. Reservation was (NEXT YEAR) - November 2023!!

The rep (Timothy) told me I would receive a full refund in 45 days. I have waited patiently and haven’t received my $500 deposit back. Got BBB involved and OAT never responded to my complaint. Funny how OAT takes the money right away but states that it takes 45 days for a refund! It’s been over 45 days and no refund. If I ever thought of taking any future trips with them, that thought is now gone. I hope someone reads this and it gives them fair warning about this company and how unethical they are.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I am a 13 time traveller with Overseas Adventure Travel, and have recommended three other people, all of whom have taken trips with them. Recently I booked a trip that includes Israel, Egypt, Jordon and the Suez Canal. I didn't buy trip insurance, and 75 days before the trip was to begin, I called to cancel. The wait to speak to someone was one 1/2 hour, instead of telling me that I could apply my money to another trip, he asked me if I was interested in going another time or taking another trip. I told him no, and he transferred me to the cancelation department, again a wait of over 15 minutes.

After completing the process, I was informed that there was a 40% cancellation penalty. I asked if I could move the money to another trip, and was told that I could not do so. About 10 minutes later I called back, again a long hold, and explained that I found another trip that my husband and I would like to take instead. At that point I was told that even through I had just requested the cancellation the 40% penalty would still be in effect. This is the height of unfairness. There was no supervisor available, their policy is that a supervisor would call back in 7 to 10 business day. Today is day 10 and no return call.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

We signed up for a post-trip extension expecting the OAT published average group size of 22 people. Instead, 30 people were signed-up for the trip (one couple got sick) so there were 28 people in the group with one leader. As a result, the group stretched beyond the range of the tour guide's communication device, so we missed most of the commentary, and because of the large group size, we often couldn't get our questions answered and problems properly addressed. A very bad experience, certainly won't use them again.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

Booked a trip in September. Trying to finalize air arrangements for five weeks. Never able to reach anyone by telephone or by email, including 5 hours on hold just this week. When they had a chance to make things right with us, they basically said forget it.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

I booked a Scotland trip for September after they told me "no issues" on other trips with COVID. Just before I left, I heard two recent horror stories from folks who said OAT didn't enforce their COVID protocols and both got COVID and/or positives and lost part of trips within several months. I cancelled because of that and requested refund. Calls and 2 letters were futile. Finally a call that said they'd reimburse. What did I get? A voucher that must be used within 3 months this year, still during COVID and bad travel time re weather. I sent letter rejecting this, no response for another several weeks! BTW, I'm one of their "loyal travelers" with a number of past trips with them. And I've heard of several similar complaints about lack of COVID protocol enforcement in buses and other enclosed areas. I'll think twice about signing up for future trips.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

I have been working to book my third trip with OAT. I am scheduled to travel this spring to morocco with my partner. We had to cancel due to health problems a trip we had hoped to take this fall. They convinced us that it made more sense to have a credit than to use our insurance for cash reimbursement. In any case we went to book the trip and invited a friend who is a new client to sign on as well. She had to advocate for herself to get 10% off for early booking that is printed in their material.

When we booked, using our credit from the fall trip, nobody made mention of the opportunity for the early booking discount that my friend had just gotten. We called them back to advocate for ourselves but they told us that we wouldn’t be entitled to this. The agent that we spoke to said there was nobody we could try to talk to for a better outcome. All of the negative reviews for this company are telling About a group that doesn’t inspire loyalty and leaves the customer feeling helpless. There are so many good travel agencies out there. I am incredibly disappointed with a turn for the worse that OAT seems to have taken since I took my initial trip with them to India many years ago.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

We have not taken our trip, yet... but we are scheduled for this November. I hope it will be more positive than their credit policy. We have been signed up for a tour since pre-covid and have had to cancel and reschedule a couple of times... NOT their fault. We have finally scheduled a trip and are using our credit because they would not reimburse our money.... We get it, no problem. The problem is that we are in France and OAT will not use our credit to purchase our airfare (which is cheaper from here).

Ok, we can use on another tour... not exactly as we have been informed that we have to use our approximately $6000 credit by the end of this year, 2022. So, how are we supposed to schedule another trip this year when our present trip is scheduled for this November 13th. OAT can really expect us to schedule another one in December... We will have just arrived home. Unreasonable requirement.

Resolution response: Sept. 15, 2022

I have been able to resolve the problem.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I made a reservation along with two other couples to travel together on the Suez Canal crossing trip with OAT travel company. We paid for the trip in full. A few days ago I received a voice mail saying that they could not accommodate us on the tour so they were moving us to another date. They were supposed to follow up with an email and a phone contact regarding the change but that never happened. Now we have to change our airline reservations and bear the cost of that and we are no longer traveling with our friends. The email has never arrived and it is impossible to reach them by phone to try to work it out. I cannot believe any travel company would behave this way. And forget trying to call them. They never respond to emails. The worst company I have ever dealt with. I will never book a trip with them again. Terrible service.

Overseas Adventure Travel response

Please accept our apologies. Thank you for letting us know that this is now resolved.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I have tried to get in touch with a person at OAT for a month- basically since I booked my trip in the beginning of August. I was able to get ahold of one person who told me they could not help me but that a supervisor would get back in touch with me - three weeks later I'm still waiting. This is absolutely not acceptable. I have been on hold for two hours at a time. I cannot imagine if I truly had an emergency. Additionally, I e-mailed several times; I got one response but the person conveniently did not address my concerns.

Bottom line- your customer service representative evidently gave inaccurate information and the company does not stand behind the information provided. I was told by the one person who did answer my call that since my request was less than 90 days from departure, I could not get what is in your own travel Guide. NOWHERE IS THIS STATED-nor was it told to me when I decided to book the additional day (at the customer service representative's suggestion). This is our third OAT trip and it will be our last.

My issue: As directed by the customer service representative, I contacted the hotel directly to add the extra night and to schedule the hotel transfer. At. No time was I told that I would not get the lower group rate. I specifically asked about the airport transfer and was told this would be covered. I was told however that I would have to set up my own transfer.

FROM the OAT TRAVEL BROCHURE: Arrive Early, Stay Later: Arriving early or staying late allows you to spend one, two, three - or more - days abroad in the

first destination on your pre-trip extension or main adventure, or in the last destination of your main adventure or post-trip extension. The additional time is spent at your leisure, and you can either rest up or explore. Choosing this option lets you take advantage of our lower group rates - ranging from $25-$300 per person, per night - and your price includes accommodations, daily breakfasts, and private airport transfers.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I'm am stunned at all the negative reviews as they do not match my experiences with OAT. We took the Iberian Voyage: Lisbon to Barcelona cruise that departed the US on May 9, 2022. This was the first tour post-pandemic for virtually every crew member on the ship and for all our tour guides. They were all positively thrilled to be back at work and it showed in their attitude and attentiveness. Our overall tour guide, Gabo **, was the best guide we have ever had on any of our tours. The ship experience was phenomenal. The food and the service was perfect. The land portion of the trip went according to schedule and was great fun. I would give the tour 5 stars but I downgraded to 4 stars because there were a few negatives. First, getting someone at OAT on the phone was aggravating to say the least.

Second they were slow to refund our money for a Baltic trip they cancelled during the pandemic. It's possible they are having serious cash flow problems due to the pandemic and it may take a few months for them to get back to normal. Before the pandemic they were one of the highest rated tour companies and I'm willing to bet they will be again. And a little tip that might be helpful on any overseas tour: book you air travel through the tour company. They may not route you exactly the way you would, but if any issue comes up, the tour company handles it. We are looking forward to our next trip on OAT, Hidden Gems of the Dalmatian Coast & Greece (2023), Sept 30, 2023.

Overseas Adventure Travel Company Information