Hicksville, NY

1.8/5 (152 ratings)

About Overseas Adventure Travel

Overseas Adventure Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overseas Adventure Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overseas Adventure Travel?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Booked a trip with OAT to Morocco for 9/28/2021. Unfortunately, I fell and hurt both of my knees and my doctor felt I was a fall risk and did not feel I should be taking this trip. I needed physical therapy. Between Allianz and OAT they gave me a run around. Allianz informed OAT to release my money but I have not seen one penny of this money. Can NOT get through on phone. I have stayed on hold for over three hours with NO one helping me. Any suggestions on how to get my money back would be helpful.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I was booked in a three week tour of Egypt and Israel for April of 2020. Unfortunately the pandemic hit and my tour was cancelled. Even though I had purchased the insurance, I was informed that I could reschedule but was not eligible for a refund. I carefully explained that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I was encouraged to pick a date for 2022 and just see if something worked out. In September of 2021, I notified OAT by email that I would be unable to travel. In December I was notified that they needed information from me for my pending trip but that I could receive a refund for the Israel portion. I again informed them, I would not be traveling in January. They offered to start an appeal on my behalf so I could receive a refund on remaining monies.

On December 23, I received an email stating that my refund would be returned to me within 30 business days. Today I received a telephone call stating they were going to assess me a late cancellation fee despite the fact that I have a copy of an email stating I would not be traveling with them. The gentleman said there was no one to whom I could appeal and that I was just plain out of luck. These people are not honest and cannot even be trusted to do as they state in their emails.

I will continue to travel but will certainly not ever consider OAT. Our government helped businesses such as this through the pandemic but left the consumer out to dry.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I had a lot of second thoughts about booking at trip with OAT after reading all the negative reviews and problems people had once they booked a trip. I am a hard man to please, just ask my kids or my wife. My experience with OAT was stellar from start to finish. When I finally decided to book my Feb. 2020 15 day trip to Israel the salesperson answered every question I had thoroughly and patiently addressed all my concerns about the negative reviews. I was invoiced correctly from the get go. I had some follow up questions after I booked and they were all answered promptly by email or a phone.

Unfortunately 3 weeks after I book OAT had to cancel the trip due to Covid. They called me and explained my options. I choose the refund back to my credit card. They said it could take up to 4 weeks to appear on my credit card. Well today about 3 weeks later the credit is there just like they said. This unfortunate situation could not have been handled any better. I can’t wait to one day take my first trip with OAT hopefully sometime in 2022!!!

Original review: July 27, 2021

I am a 12 time traveler with Grand Circle and OAT. But maybe no more. They are impossible to reach by phone without waiting for hours. I even tried their emergency phone number and was on hold for hours. What if I had been stranded in a foreign country? They cancelled my Eastern Europe to Black Sea Cruise in Sept 2021 and cited "covid" or "civil unrest" issues. Baloney. They cancelled because they did not sell out the cruise and lied about it to me. I know because I went with Viking during the same month with no excuses like Grand Circle gave me.

Add to that they promised me a $1,000 credit on my next trip- which was to Antarctica in December. The invoice they sent me showed the credit- and 1 month later a new invoice arrived with the credit removed. Why? Another lie? Something is really wrong here with the company now and I would suggest be very careful with bookings as they are not the same company I traveled with for the past 12 years.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I’ve been on 4 OAT trips and have 3 more booked. They have been fine rescheduling me and/or refunding money because of Covid. I have met wonderful and interesting fellow travelers. The tour guides have been excellent and the structure of the trips have been so well balanced with history, scenery, culture, hands on opportunities and free time. I’ve tried other companies and prefer OAT. The accommodations have been much, much better than Rick Steves and the smaller size (16 max) is better too and costs less. The people I’ve met are really great, not pretentious about their money or intellect. Just out to have fun and enjoy the surprises in store. Each trip has offered some very special moments that I doubt you’ll find as a tourist on your own or with another operator.

Original review: June 7, 2021

Something is going wrong with OAT. They are changing policies on people on the fly. I signed up for a trip to Spain for September, 2020 during the winter of 2019. Due to Covid, the trip was cancelled. I asked for a refund of my $700 deposit, but they said no refund, it would go towards another trip. I was not happy about that, being an advanced age and not knowing when Covid would end, but stuck with it. Today, June 7th, 2021, I tried to sign up for another trip to Spain in May of 2022. But they wanted another $700 deposit. I said that they already had my $700 deposit from the cancelled trip for more than a year now, but they said it was a "credit" on my account and I needed a new $700 deposit. Ridiculous! They want me to cough up another $700 a year in advance of the replacement trip? That would be $1400 of my money they would have and I still don't know if Covid is going to allow travel to Europe a year from now.

And .... I am wondering with all the complaints I am reading about, and with so many others complaining about the same thing happening to them, will this company even be around in another year? Then where would my $1400 be? I am calling my credit card company and hoping to get my original $700 back. No way I am booking with OAT again after this mess. And I'm certainly not giving them another $700 for a trip that may never happen. Beware!

Original review: April 27, 2021

OAT has held our money for two years, and although they promised a full refund at first, minus travel insurance, they changed the deal and just held it as future travel voucher. We really want to have our money back at his time. We were supposed to go to Kenya and Tanzania, and due to Covid, it is not safe to travel there for the foreseeable future. I would NEVER book a trip with this company again.

Original review: March 11, 2021

We signed up for a trip which we paid in full in Oct. 2020, because of covid they canceled the trip. When I asked for my refund they said it would take 90 business days to refund. Suppose to return our funds June 2021... I think that is ridiculous since other tour companies have returned our money immediately. I would never recommend this company for any travel. Very poor that they need to work on our money since last Oct. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

OAT cancelled my trip without my knowledge and refused to give me a refund. I learned about the cancellation when I received a strange email from their insurance company stating they had changed my travel insurance as requested. Since I had not requested a change to my travel insurance I contacted the insurance company to inquire about their strange email. It took several insurance company personnel to find out that OAT had cancelled my trip due to Covid-19 and arbitrarily placed me on a trip a year later. OAT's actions were particularly deceptive, because only 3 weeks before the cancellation I had attended an OAT traveler meeting during which OAT management assured the attendees that if OAT cancelled a tour due to Covid, OAT would issue a full refund. Yet only 3 weeks after that meeting, they cancelled my trip and refused to refund my payments.

I wrote several letters/emails to request a refund. My emails reminded OAT that only 3 weeks before the cancellation, OAT management assured the attendees at an OAT meeting I attended that full refunds would be given if OAT cancelled a trip due to Covid-19. However, there was no response to my emails - just a voicemail stating they would not give me a refund. I was shocked at how poorly the cancellation was handled - that OAT never had the courtesy to contact me to let me know my trip was cancelled. I had to learn about the cancellation after inquiring about the strange email from their travel insurance company. I had taken several trips with OAT before the cancelled trip. I enjoyed those trips and if OAT had acted properly and refunded my payments for the cancelled trip I would have joined them on future trips. However, the treatment I received showed a lack of professionalism and more importantly trustworthiness.

As an established international company I am very disappointed that they would treat one of their frequent travelers in this manner. That is particularly the case because I was looking forward to resuming international travel when Covid-19 is behind us. There are so many more places I want to visit and I now have to find a travel company that I can trust.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

I have travelled with OAT several times. Generally, the experiences were good. Our prepaid Norway trip for 2020 was cancelled due to the pandemic. This trip was rebooked ($15,784 prepaid) for June 2021. Contact by phone was impossible, due to excessive phone hold time. This situation created undue stress and anxiety. OAT is privately held, no public financials available. We cancelled the Norway 2021 trip on 10/03/2020. Per OAT: "Your cancellation fee is $300.00 per person as well as the Travel Protection cost of $1898.00". My request to have $600 cancellation fee waived was not responded to. Insurance: Per OAT, they are not involved in Travel Protection Plan compensation matters!! More than a month after the cancellation, we still don't have our money back. Will not use OAT again.

Overseas Adventure Travel Company Information