Hicksville, NY

1.8/5 (171 ratings)

About Overseas Adventure Travel

Overseas Adventure Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overseas Adventure Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overseas Adventure Travel?

Original review: June 10, 2022

Denise, I was surprised to hear that O.A.T. is also not refunding your money. I booked with their sister/brother (?) company, Vantage, over a year ago. The trip was a high-end Mediterranean cruise, but they couldn't get the ship in time for a June 8 departure because it was coming from China. I have spent the past two months trying to get my money back. When I can reach anyone, they keep saying it's "in process" while not giving me a timeline. I've been looking at several O.A.T. opportunities. I traveled with them several years ago on five different occasions and was happy with the company, but I'm very concerned about booking with them at this point. Promises of refunds are empty!

Original review: June 7, 2022

Like many of the other reviews, I experienced a three hour wait only to be kicked off. Why force someone to be on hold that long without providing any reassurances that someone will really call you back? Why not provide a call back option? This kind of treatment is not conducive to building customer loyalty. Given this poor service, I would rather pay more and have my issue handled than listen to their boring music.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2022

We have been trying to take a trip that was booked over two years ago that has been rescheduled twice due to cancellations by this company. Our trip to Iceland is scheduled in July but we have a family emergency and needed to speak with a representative about our options to reschedule. I have waited on the phone multiple times for hours, sent numerous emails to customer service and received ZERO response for over a week. Amazingly, after pressing the “make a payment number” on my phone I got a rep within a few minutes.

I will never use this company again and do not recommend them no matter how nice their travel brochures look. They are in a service business…right? No they are in the take your money and FU business. It is absolutely inexcusable how they treat their customers, especially given the substantial investment we have made in their so called “personalized small group adventure.” Buyer Beware!

Original review: May 27, 2022

No communication, even after group trip cancelled for May 2022. This company sucks, and I will never book with them or any of their associates ever again. I had two other trips cancelled which were both resolved within 10 minutes on hold. After 3 hrs, 15 min on hold with OAT, I was cancelled and told I'd receive a call back within 72 hours. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. NEVER AGAIN for all OAT, Great Circle, etc.

Overseas Adventure Travel response

We are sorry about the unusually long hold times. We’re working through these communication and high call volume issues as quickly as possible.

Please contact us at request@oattravel.com if you still need assistance. Thank you.

Original review: May 25, 2022

I booked a Northern Italy tour on 5/22/22. I didn’t book airline portion as I wanted to decide on pre-trip options. First call right to agent. Since then I haven’t been able to get through. I’d travelled w OAT in 2018 & it was a 5 star experience. This inability to contact them has soured me on using them now. I am canceling this trip & contesting my Visa charge.

Overseas Adventure Travel response

We're very sorry about your frustrating experience. The majority of calls are related to travelers’ air itineraries. Demand for air travel has increased significantly. Unfortunately, airlines are struggling to keep up, resulting in many last-minute changes and cancellations.

We’re working through these issues as fast as possible based on departure date, and hiring more Traveler Support associates to assist travelers.

Please contact us at request@oattravel.com and we'll try to help.

Original review: May 5, 2022

During our recent OAT trip to Machu Picchu and the Galápagos Islands OAT allowed another airline (LATAM) to cancel our business class flight reservation back home. (This reservation had been in placed for 2 years). OAT response was that we could remain on our flight but in economy class (five hours in a middle seat). The other option was to fly on COPA airlines which would get us home a day later. We eventually booked our own flight back home (at additional significant expense) in business class.

We received absolutely no help from our Ecuadorian group leader or his supervisor. We had to call Boston to get a comment on what happened and once again received no help or empathy to our situation. In addition, I would need to write a letter to Boston and they would unilaterally determine on a refund. In essence it’s “your problem not ours”. Business as usual. This was quite visible to all members in the group. Many members of our group questioned OAT commitment in helping guests and also if they would go on another OAT tour in the future.

Bill (former OAT guest) **. Sent from my iPhone.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 21, 2022

OAT is very unprofessional. They cancelled our trip to Portugal/Spain in March 2022. Have held our money since December 2021. $30K. Promised a refund within 30 days in March. That was 6 weeks ago. Can't get anyone on the phone. Their line is perpetually busy. Waited hours to get a live person. They happily take your money, but won't give it back even when THEY cancel a trip. This is a lot of money.

Overseas Adventure Travel response

We're very sorry about the difficulty reaching us. Please contact us at request@oattravel.com. We will assist with your refund if you have not yet received it. Thank you!

Original review: April 18, 2022

We booked a Baltic Cruise two years ago with OAT. It was "postponed" two years in a row due to Covid. This year, the cruise was cancelled due to the Ukraine war. We indicated that we did not want to book another trip, or keep our deposit on account, we simply wanted our $1,000 back. We understood we would lose all of our credits, etc... We simply wanted our money back. We we informed we would get in in 30 days. Then they said 30 BUSINESS days. We still have not received our refund. We cannot get a call thru, and there is no place to write them. WE WILL NEVER BOOK A TRIP WITH THEM AGAIN. AND, WE WANT OUR MONEY BACK!

Original review: April 8, 2022

Trying to reach a human to get clarification on the terms and prices. Have been calling and emailing for over a week. They have left messages but I cannot call them back. I have requested an appointment time to take the call to no avail.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I booked a trip with OAT and decided to cancel very soon after. Firstly, when I had said NO insurance through them, they put me on it. It took more than an hour of wait time to reach the company via phone and more than one week till the money was refunded to my credit card. I then decided to cancel the trip. Over 3 hours on hold I finally gave up. Many emails during this time and no response. Finally got through the next day when I pushed the choice that I was making a payment - boy did they respond to that fast! Despite it saying “RISK FREE” all over their materials, my choice was they hold my $700 disposition towards another trip or I only get $100 back. I will never travel with OAT. When booking, they purchased to get as much of my money ASAP (offering discounts on the trip), but NEVER said cancellation penalty.

Overseas Adventure Travel Company Information