2.02/5
Based on 66 reviews that contain star ratings

Hicksville, NY

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

70 Overseas Adventure Travel Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have travelled with many other tour companies. What sold me about OAT was their itinerary for Vietnam. Don't get fooled by great itineraries. Months after booking, I received a letter informing me that there were changes made to the itinerary. They removed a lot of the museums and excursions that were included in the price, without replacing any of these or reducing the price.

I booked my airfare with their travel department since I wanted to do a layover in Hong Kong. I paid for business class and all segments were booked in business. Then I get a phone call from the travel department (in October - the trip leaves 11/27/18) informing me that they made a mistake on the Hong Kong -Hanoi portion and had to change the flight to get me there earlier and with the other travelers. The travel agent neglected to inform me that I was now flying coach for this segment.

Called the company numerous times and was told that nothing could be done. I emailed corporate three times and have yet to hear back from them. Their customer services is horrible. I am a seasoned traveler and have taken lots of tours with other companies and have never had this type of issue. Most companies are professional and if there is an issue, they return emails/calls and try to resolve it. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I signed up for an OAT trip a year in advance and paid a $350 deposit. Eight months before the trip, I needed to cancel and called them to give maximum notice. I asked if I could apply my deposit to another trip. They said I could not and I was lucky that ‘only’ $300 was non-refundable and it could have been much worse. Seriously...8 months before the trip! I travel with many companies and have never experienced anything like this. At a minimum, any deposit has always been able to be transferred to booking another trip. Based on this experience, I will never book with them again and urge anyone considering a trip with them NOT to book so far in advance and to consider other companies with more logical policies.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Warning on OAT Ultimate Africa trip. I was at the Okavango Delta in June. They opened a new camp within the last month of our group's arrival. This camp was 90+ minutes from the Okavango Delta, the Area we were was almost devoid of life. Not what was sold to me! I believe all in our group sent in complaint letters as this was to have been the APEX of the trip! It was the worst part of the trip.

I received a letter from Alan ** with a $300 credit citing operational problems with the Camp… What? LOL. I sent in another letter stating how irrelevant and inappropriate the letter was. I receive a phone call from an Angelia stating Mr. **’s letter was wrong and he apologized for the location of the camp. One member of our group had been there with OAT years before, he said it was not the Delta he had previously been as the previous location which was filled with life. I believe this was a bait and switch and they moved the camp due to cheaper lease costs.

I have one more upcoming trip with OAT that I had requested to cancel and refund. I got the standard line ”depending on our Cancellation policy” I interrupted Angelia and said that was 100% unacceptable and I wanted a 100% refund. I do not trust this company. I am now looking into legal options and subpoenaing the lease records of the Camps locations for restitution for the worthless “Apex” portion of the trip. I am now considering legal action! Shame on you OAT! Do not trust OAT!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I can't understand the negative reviews I'm reading. My wife and I have gone on 7 OAT trips and find them wonderful - the tour guides have been uniformly excellent, the hotels unusual and well located, the food interesting, but more than that, the trips have been very educational. As for the people who answer the phone to begin with, we've had nothing but excellent service, including making plane reservations. We live near RDU, and flights to other smallish airports, like Vilnius for example, can be hard to get right, but they've done a great job for us, including getting inexpensive upgrades for premium economy on Cathay Pacific for our flights to Asia. I think their trips, their planning, their service is first rate, and on the 7 trips we've taken there are many, many people who've traveled with them over and over, which is the best kind of "review."

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Overseas Adventure Travel/Grand Circle Travel used to be a good company, but they got too large. After taking 12 tours with them, they treated us terribly. We booked a river cruise, including airfare, and documented every detail. Soon we discovered they had changed our cabin without notifying us and that one of the flights had disappeared, while the total price remained the same. In contacting the Travel Relations Manager, we were asked basically to take care of it ourselves! Upon pressing her, she agreed to handle it, but she evidently did no follow up. In finding the problem hadn’t been solved, I left messages for her, but she never called back.

Therefore, we contacted the home office management and received a call back in which the flights were rectified, with the promise they’d call back to verify. They never called back, and the records remained wrong. After another email to a different home office address, outlining a complete log of everything that had transpired, we received no response. We canceled the trip and have decided to never use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Overseas Adventure Travel?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I have just completed my fourth trip with OAT. Over a short period of three years I can see that the value for the dollar has decreased. Unless you are traveling as a single with no additional charge for a private room, you are supplementing the cost of those who are. This pricing scenario has to be covered by cheaper hotels and meals among other ways. I had a very bad experience on my last trip. I usually book my own airfare knowing my transfers to and from the airport are not included.

This was made quite clear when we were not permitted to accompany many of our fellow travelers on the bus to the airport even though there was plenty of extra room, and were told to take a taxi. I told them that Odysseys Unlimited, who we have traveled with many times, welcomes their valued customers to use the airport transportation if there is space available...at no charge! OAT's reply was, “Too bad we don't.” Maybe OAT should look at trying to offer a little more service to couples who are supplementing their "no single supplement" customers.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I had booked a trip and then cancelled for another trip. OAT recently changed their Good Buy plan downward. I was told I would be given the maximum amount but on my invoice, they gave me a step less. The agent I spoke with had told me I would get the max, but subsequent phone calls disallowed it but "would review it." Needless to say I never got a call back except from the agent who asked me to reiterate what he had said! I am still booked for the trip, but very disappointed with OAT that they don't stand by their word. This is my first negative experience after 12 successful trips, so I am not ready to leave the company, but another mix-up may push me over the edge.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

You're lucky if they answer the phone in 20 minutes (so sick of their background music!). After several calls about a price issue with promises to call back. NOTHING! Maybe hire more staff??? I see a lot of complaints about customer service here. Guess they don't read their reviews or they just don't care. But it will eventually catch up to them...

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

My husband and I have traveled with OAT 11 times. We love their tours- especially the small size and the superb guides. Their air service, however, is mediocre at best. We have just had a most unpleasant experience with them on our travel home from Australia. This trip, I think, is the first time we have used their service and I would hesitate before ever using their air service again. Below I highlight just two of our problems as a warning about OAT air service. Our poor opinion of OAT air service started months ago. I didn’t keep the details because I did not anticipate future problems. For some reason I called OAT air services and found out that the time had changed between our arrival in The United States and making a very tight departure home. The OAT person told me that if I wanted to keep abreast of these changes I needed to be in contact with the airline directly.

Our most serious complaint occurred when we were in Australia. A little over a week before our return flight, we received an email from our superb Australian guide saying there were issues with our flight. The message she sent on to us said the only flight available for us to get home on our booked date was an ECONOMY flight back that night even though we had booked BUSINESS class tickets. The Bangkok office which handled bookings was closed for the weekend and an extra day for a national holiday. Our guide then decided not to wait three days for making a change but worked with the home office in Australia and then a special contact in New York to rebook us on another BUSINESS flight home with a stop in Melbourne on the day we originally requested.

When I got home I wrote and talked to OAT. I learned most disturbing information. SEATS MAY BE AVAILABLE ON THE FLIGHT YOU WANT BUT OAT DOES NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THESE SEATS. The carrier determines what access OAT has depending on OAT’s arrangement with the carrier. This also means that you can not get on the phone and deal directly with the airline; you must go thru OAT. There is more to this story; bottom line - Beware of unpleasant consequences if you book air travel with OAT.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Save your time & money! This travel company has ZERO customer service. They are quick to pick up the phones for purchasing a trip but, they do not pick up if you have questions or need to cancel a trip, for whatever reason. This is not a reputable or service oriented company. After calling several times & not being able to reach a live person, I emailed them to cancel a trip. No record of email cancellation. When I called their 'sales' number, they picked up immediately. Their answer to me for delaying answering the phones was "they are in the process of hiring & training new people." NOT MY PROBLEM!

Perhaps at one time this company was good, but not anymore. Would not recommend traveling with this company. If they can't service you before you leave on a trip, how are they going to service you while on the trip? Last time I checked, the travel business is a service related organization. Their prices may be reasonable, but the old saying is true: You get what you pay for! Would NOT recommend this travel company!

Original review: July 27, 2018

I am booked for a trip to Egypt in December 2018. For the past few weeks I have been unable to access my account for information on flight confirmations which are booked through OAT. Yesterday I called and was told that my flights had automatically been cancelled for no reason and was given an apology. Today I again tried to access my account and could not do so. I wanted a confirmation of the flights and seats. The rep emailed me the confirmation, tried to be helpful and told me that other Mac users have consistently had trouble with the site and that he would notify the IT dept. Up to me to keep trying!! No message would be sent to me either way. Told him unacceptable and that I will cancel the trip if I don't get access to the site in a reasonable amount of time. All Mac users please weigh in and contact the company if you are having problems.

Original review: May 23, 2018

The ten trips we have taken with OAT/GCT have all been excellent. Our trips have earned us travel credits toward future trips, however, they do expire. Some of our credits are expiring due to trip inactivity. We have not taken any trips since our home was flooded (Hurricane Harvey) and we are just getting back into our home (April 2018). Travel counselors with OAT/GCT have informed us they do not waive the expiration date. It is unfortunate this policy is inflexible given our circumstances.

Original review: May 2, 2018

The group leader in Peru, Freddy, was difficult to understand. My experience of him is that he was rude, arrogant and condescending and unhappy to be doing his job. I found his people skills extremely lacking. I have been on several OAT trips and have never had a bad experience. I continue to be in contact with the group leaders from Africa and Vietnam. The airline portion of this trip was exhausting - not only due to the length of the flights and layovers, but because of the seat assignments - last row is NOT acceptable when OAT has had 6 months to make flight arrangements. I requested a change of seat for my return flight - I waited for several days and when I hadn't heard from them, I purchased a different seat...then, OAT contacted me to confirm that I had the seat I had purchased. This is the LAST time I will take a trip with OAT.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

When I asked OAT to make my wife and my flights, the cross Atlantic legs, ie outward and return, I got invoice that says Economy Plus. When I receive flight information, only return journey shows Economy Plus. Repeated call got standard answer that they will listen to the recording and get back to me within 5 business days. 5 business days passed by three times with my follow up. Adventure staff and flight staff repeats the same and would not do anything to rectify but that we can do it on our own.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

My husband and I and two friends used OAT for an amazing trip to Machu Picchu and the Galapagos. We were so satisfied with the experience that we are taking their Ultimate Africa tour in March of this year. Our tour guides both in Peru and Ecuador were educated, well informed, gracious hosts. They took care of our group of seniors to the utmost of their abilities. When I was struck with altitude sickness in Peru our guide could not have been more helpful. He did exactly what was necessary to get me the proper treatment so that I could recover quickly and rejoin the tour in less than a half hour.

On the Ecuador part, I became dehydrated. Once again, our guide made every effort to protect my well being by speaking to the locals, and finding a store that sold Gatorade, and he made sure I was prepared with it for the rest of the journey. We never felt that we were being coddled, we simply felt that the guides in both countries had our best interests, our health and safety at the top of their priorities. I would recommend OAT to anyone who is interested in a physically active, informative, and life change journey.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

A couple of key pointers about my Peru Travel experience with OAT in late 2017: 1. They are quick to take your reservation but you will spend almost 2 hours on the phone waiting for OAT customer service at any point after giving them your money. Horrible customer service. Virtually no customer service provided since I'm sure so many give up trying to reach OAT after making a nonrefundable reservation deposit. 2. OAT on their website will delete or prohibit from publishing, truly useful mixed and negative reviews. Biased and sneaky. 3. They force you to eat with the group at expensive restaurants. If we didn't have to do this and if the trip was cut short by at least 2 days, the price would have been a bit more reasonable.

4. Above all, the tour guides make all the difference and unfortunately our guide Jose ** was more so an attention seeker and impatient with us older folks than a patient educator about Peru. He was more interested in showing off about his trials and tribulations in Peru than focusing on the history, facts and dynamics of the country and the broader population. I would request a different tour guide if you weirdly enough choose OAT for your Peru experience.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I have not yet gone on my trip, so I cannot offer a review in terms of actual travel and accommodations but I was deeply bothered by the misleading information I was given when making arrangements. When I booked my two trips, I wanted to include a visit (on my own) to Santiago. When I asked the rep (Sarah) how much this would cost, or if it would be extra she assured me it would most likely fit within the travel budget and wouldn't exceed the $1700 I was already paying for airfare. She said it "might" be a little extra... When I said, "Well I hope it won't be a lot," she assured me it would not be. She mentioned a small amount, and while I can't remember what exactly what that was, it was so minimal I told her to proceed.

She said she would have the back-to-back team give me a call. It turned out to cost $350 additional, plus another $85.00 for a hotel room (the latter of which is understandable because of the flight times). When I complained to an OAT rep, they reviewed "the tape" of our conversation and found (or claimed) she did not say these things. I told them there were three phone calls and it was one of the latter calls that we discussed this, but they refused to listen to the other tapes. In fairness to OAT, one of the reps did offer to apply a trip credit from the first trip towards the second - which helped take the sting off the additional fare. It's not a make or break thing for me but just want to warn you - ask specific questions, write down their answers and the DATE AND TIME of your call.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I've made one trip with OAT that was excellent from beginning to end. I have three more scheduled and making arrangements for all three have been excellent. Two are back-to-back trips and they patiently worked out the details for leaving one tour and connecting with the next. They seem fully aware of recent problems with contacting their representatives and are making apparent heartfelt efforts to work it out. Part of the problem might be that their reps, when they do get on the phone, take extraordinary efforts to make the call seem personal.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Ultimate Africa air travel - We booked our trip air fare included and were told by two representatives we could change our air travel arrangements by Nov. 1 at no additional charge. I called back on Oct. 31 and was told there would be a fee of 460.00 and that our first class ticket from Cape Town to Amsterdam would be changed to coach. If I had been told the truth when I booked I would have extended the nights in Amsterdam the same day. The two people who misinformed me were either poorly trained or lying to me. Either of which is unacceptable when you are booking a trip that is over $26,000.00. I wish now I had booked with Odyssey. Depending on whether the trip is as bad as the pre-service I may never travel with them again.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My friend and I had taken a trip with this company earlier this year and we were extremely satisfied. The process for registration was easy, all questions were answered, the tour guides were extremely knowledgeable and professional, and the group had wonderful experiences. We therefore decided to take another one early next year. Again, the process for registering for this trip was wonderful. However, once our trip was booked, our experience with this company became totally different. We were no longer able to speak to an agent without waiting a minimum of 30+ minutes on hold. We were given different information about flights every time we finally did manage to speak to an agent. One agent said that we could get a direct flight home. Another agent told us they did not exist. We asked for business class seats. One agent told us they were not available. Another "managed" to get them for us.

I wrote an email with my concerns to the email addresses listed on their website, a week ago. I did not receive any response. I therefore sent the email again a few days ago. As yet, I have not received a response. I therefore called this morning. In order to bypass the 30+ minute wait, I called the number for new registrations and was immediately connected to an agent. I asked to be connected to a supervisor and she would not give me anyone's name, phone number or email address. She asked me to tell her and when I explained the issue her response was, "we don't monitor emails." I asked her for the name of someone in charge. She was either unable or unwilling to give me a name and said it was a team and the only way I could contact them was by regular mail. She either did not have or would not give me a phone number for them. Altogether, I felt her tone was curt and she was not at all helpful.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

We have a trip to Cuba scheduled to leave Sept 29. With the destructive path of Irma we are concerned about whether the trip will go. All we get when we call is a standard reply. The trip leaving on Sept 19th was cancelled less than a week before departure. Complicating this is that we are residents of Fort Myers, FL and have no power. We need to be in FL repairing our homes and those of our friends. OAT will not return calls. If we cancel we lose our money. If we wait for them to make a decision it delays our return to FL to recover from Irma's damage.

Is this an indication of OAT service. How can they assure that we will be safe traveling in Cuba. We didn't sign up for a trip that has any chance of unnecessary risks. We have seen first hand the amount of resources needed to begin the clean up in Florida. Cannot imagine that by Sept 30th Havana will be safe for travel. In addition I learned yesterday that trips supported by the foundation can be more than the promised 20 people. Why are their group sizes for foundation trips different than their standard 12-16. Had we known the group would be larger we would have never signed up.

When I called the toll free number and was not satisfied with the response, I asked for a return call and have not had a response. I have never dealt with a travel organization that is so unwilling to answer questions in a timely manner. We have traveled with OAT before and expected better from them when dealing with natural disasters. To assure safety and allow travelers to make plans the late Sept tour to Cuba should be cancelled. If it is not cancelled travelers should be told what changes will need to be made and allowed to reschedule if not satisfied with the changes or apparent risks.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I traveled last spring with OAT to Central Europe. The travel guide was outstanding, attentive, smart and very competent. All the individual guides in the various cities and towns were interesting and knowledgeable. The accommodations were always great, both clean and convenient. Our intercity travel was very comfortable and I would definitely book all my travel with this company. I traveled with another company and OAT far exceeds them in customer service.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I recently booked my first trip with OAT which will start in Nov. 2017. However, after I booked the trip, it is virtually impossible to get hold of them. On telephone, I cannot get them even after holding for 1 hour! The voice says they have high call volume and their telephone system is being changed! This of course is nonsense. I am wonder if they are still in business. Can someone advise me on that? Which is the right Government agency to report complaint? OAT is simply horrible!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

This will likely be my last trip w/ OAT. Can't get through to anyone to talk about your travel. You're put on hold for 30+ mins or longer. It's frustrating. I went to Tuscany last year and never had this problem. I could get through to a person to ask questions, but not anymore. I have a trip reserved to Iceland this fall and I'm considering just saying bye bye to my deposit. I have questions about the invoice and can't reach someone on the phone to ask and they don't respond to email either. Very bad service; I don't know what happened.

Original review: July 31, 2017

We have had many wonderful trips with OAT, but their customer support has become terrible. Wait time on the phone averages close to 1 hour for any phone call except to book a new trip. I am very disappointed with this company!

Original review: June 13, 2017

I'll begin by stating that my husband and I have enjoyed five trips with OAT and Grand Circle as well as the Cuba Revealed trip with the Grand Circle Foundation. We have never been disappointed. In April, 2017, however, we were literally walking out the door to catch our cab to the airport for the OAT Sicily trip. At that moment I received a text that our Delta flight out of Pensacola had been delayed. We might, however, still make the connection to Rome. Following up on the second Delta delay notice, I learned that we would not make our connection.

Finally, we learned that our only means of reaching Sicily would have been to fly from Atlanta to Paris the following day; spend the night in Paris; fly from Paris to Rome, spend the night there, and finally meet up with our group three days after the tour had started. All of this came shortly after our local guide wrote a comprehensive letter to all of us, informing us that there would likely be an Alitalia strike in Rome that would affect our flight to Palermo. Although she had not intended it so, she gave the impression that were the strike to go forward, we would be on our own in Rome and would have to make our own arrangements.

Realizing OAT/Grand Circle cannot be held responsible for weather over Atlanta or airline strikes, it still would have been helpful to get any bit of support from them, but none was forthcoming. It seemed to me that we had paid in full and were on our own, with our bags packed and every travel "t" crossed and every "i" dotted.

Finally, an OAT agent said that she wouldn't blame us if we cancelled and we did. The very next day I sent a three-page letter to Trip Mate Insurance, along with the claim form. I could go on in detail about how long it took to get a response from OAT or Trip Mate. In fact, I had to be the bird dog, staying on our case for about six weeks when I finally learned that a travel voucher had been issued to OAT, and I'm not sure if it would have happened without invoking the help of a man in an upper echelon who, long after I sent my complaint to OAT, responded by phone, telling me the letter had just arrived on his desk. Caveat emptor: the voucher can only be used for travel with the company and must be used within a year. By that time, any trip we really wanted to take had been filled, but we could put a "tentative" deposit on a 2019 trip in which case we'd have to ask for an exception to the one-year framework.

Now we've booked a trip on this continent, and our voucher has been applied, but we still have an $800.00 insurance voucher that must be used within the year. From our current invoice it appears there are also dollar credits for future travel, given that our new trip was less expensive. So we ask ourselves, do we stick with the company to use those credits or cut our losses and run?

Original review: June 1, 2017

We planned a trip with Overseas Adventure Travel. We were not advised that (1) if we planned our own airfare it would not include transfers and (2) that there would be an additional charge for internal flights. When we received the invoice we called numerous times and were kept on a wait (with music and their advertising of a cruise) for a Grand Circle Travel Support Department (they apparently are no longer OAT) for up to 45 minutes and then did not get satisfaction. We are still waiting for a call back.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Since February 2010, I have traveled with OAT 32 times. Not once I had bad expedience with the Boston Office, the tour or the trip leader. I read lots of complaint about health issue, cancellation, or food or hotels. Well those people should stay home, because OAT delivers 101% what they advertise. I tell all my trip leader that I would follow them to the end of earth. People who are looking for adventure, foreign culture, food, religion and customs should try OAT once. Make sure you are in good physical condition, because you walk an average of 3 miles per day, and you are on a go from sunup to sundown. I have travel to all the 7 continents and when I come home I relax and take it easy. Adventurous people give OAT a try, there are never more than 16 people on a trip.

Original review: May 30, 2017

Trying to reach OAT air travel department. Three times left on hold for over 25 minutes! Had important information to convey. No idea how else to reach the air travel department. Their claim to be the best travel company, does not fly with me.

Original review: May 7, 2017

I have traveled with OAT and Grand Circle Travel numerous times. I felt very safe and taken care of. My sister and I have been on a combined number of 8 trips. We have found everyone to be so helpful. The drivers are so kind and considerate. I haven't found anyone in the company who does not bend over backwards for you. This is a great company. My husband and I are just getting ready to book his retirement trip. We plan on spending 3 weeks to a month with the company.

Overseas Adventure Travel Company Information