Get matched with a great travel agency now

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.67/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Vacations To Go Reviews

Original review: July 30, 2019

I have taken cruises in the past. My experience with the run of the mill travel agencies is that they do not respond well after being paid. I have given Vacations To Go 4 stars instead of 5 stars only because nothing is ever perfect but my experiences have been good. Remember booking a cruise, a hotel, a tour, or anything is actually the obligation of that company directly involved with the service. Is it possible that a previously reputable company that Vacations To Go used is no longer reputable. Absolutely.

My recent personal experience was that I found it more personable and professional working with Vacations To Go vs Royal Caribbean International. Responses for detailed itinerary were that "Our systems do not provide the information you are requesting." Contacting Vacations To Go and requesting the same information, provided me with the details I wanted, a deep and broad description of the deck and room location chosen and responses to all of my questions. Keep in mind that Vacations To Go is a travel Service providing the best answers available from their vendors. I will continue using their services, and realize that all my prior complaints were with bookings directly from the cruises who are merely booking agents for shore excursions for a fee. That's my two cents. And thank you Vacations To Go for past vacations with the hope that future ones will be as enjoyable with your professional guidance.

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Michael. We're glad to hear that you've had good experiences with Vacations To Go in the past and we appreciate your fresh perspective to travel and all its moving parts! We do hope we have the opportunity to work with you again soon and earn that 5th star! Thank you again for your business and kind words.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Vacations To Go has some excellent features. I have taken two cruises booked through Vacations to Go, and four cruises booked directly with the cruise line. What does Vacations To Go provide that the cruise lines don't? Their excellent, all encompassing website. There, you can input all the requirements of your cruise. You input the dates, length of cruise, location. And their website gives you a list of EVERY cruise line meeting your needs. Unbiased. You can then scan them all and make your choices, no obligation. THEN you can book with them or go to the cruise line direct. The two cruises I booked through Vacations To Go went well, but nothing special. I believe you can get the same discount prices through the cruise line but of course you can check for yourself.

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for your kind words, Bill. Our rates are always at least as low as the cruise line's, but many times we are able to negotiate additional discounts, onboard credits or other perks for our customers. You'll also receive unbiased guidance from our travel counselors, a single contact trained to assist you in every situation, promptly answer your questions and make sure your cruise is a wonderful experience. We do appreciate your business and hope that you'll continue to give us a try!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

We have taken two cruises with Vacations to Go and have our third scheduled already. Our first trip to Alaska on Holland America was everything we expected it to be and we were happy with the price we paid for a great two week trip. The second cruise, on Crystal Cruise Line, was outstanding in every way and the travel agent, Caleb **, was exceptional. I highly recommend the company and especially Caleb. It appears that the complaints one sees online are mostly about misunderstandings, and Vacations to Go makes a great effort to help smooth things out. We found almost instantaneous feedback from Caleb on our last two week cruise. Super happy with Vacations to Go!!

Vacations To Go response

Kathy, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with Vacations To Go and Caleb! It sounds like you've taken two amazing trips and we know you are looking forward to the third. We value your feedback and want to thank you for being a loyal customer. I'll make sure that Caleb and his managers get a copy of your kind words. Thank you again and we look forward to planning many more trips together!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I have used Vacations To Go numerous times over the years and most recently in November 2018. I've had nothing but great service from their reps and never felt screwed over. All interactions have been helpful, professional and ended up saving me money. Most of the negative reviews that I have read have nothing to do with VTG, but more to do with the tour operators or cruise lines. This company has worked hard to provide the best vacations for the best price and does not deserve their name to be sullied. My wife and I will be using Vacations To Go again... as soon as I can afford another all-inclusive trip to the Caribbean. They are our trusted travel partners!

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for taking the time to leave such kind words, Michael. We sincerely appreciate that you trust us with your travel plans and are glad that you're taking advantage of some amazing deals. Great customer service is very important to us and I'm thrilled to hear that our travel counselors are providing that to you. Thank you for your continued business and loyalty and we look forward to helping you plan your next all-inclusive in the Caribbean!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Like others I am surprised by the poor experiences. We have taken at least 5 Alaskan Cruises through VTG (usually from the 90 day ticker) and could not be happier with the experience. The reps have always been professional and helpful. The cruise is just as advertised and most times we end up getting bumped to a better room when we check in. We do know there are additional port fees and taxes so are not upset that the final price is more than the posted rate. This is common through most travel companies so should not be a surprise. Last summer we took my 82 year old mother which meant a room for 3 and Jed was a wonderful help. We are thinking of booking another cruise to Norway this April through VTG. We recommend this company constantly to friends. VTG is out to go to place for cruise arrangements.

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for your positive feedback, Debra! We are so glad to hear that you are consistently receiving great service from Jed and all of our travel counselors and that you are taking advantage of the great deals offered on the 90-day ticker! We'd love to help you plan your Norway cruise in April so please feel free to give Jed a call, or if you prefer, any agent can assist you. Thank you again for your business and referrals through the years. We look forward to working with you again soon!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vacations To Go?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I booked a cruise from VTG in August 2019. I was told that if I find the exact same cruise cheaper, call in and they would credit you accordingly. Well they dropped the balcony cruise rate and refuse to credit my 2 balcony rooms. VTG said it's up to Holland America, Holland America said it's up to VTG. I never used either one before. I assure you I will not either one again. I will update my review after the cruise. So far after booking with “no refund policy" I will update my review. I will stay with Royal Caribbean.

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for writing, Sandra. We are very sorry that the price went down after you booked. The decision to offer compensation in these situations lies solely with the cruise line. One of our managers called Holland America for you and unfortunately, we could not convince them to credit the difference in price or offer an upgrade, due to restrictions on the promotion you're booked under. I see that our Director of Customer Service has been trying to reach you. We look forward to speaking to you!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Booked a seven day single cruise for my sister and I two years ago, with Vacations To Go. To make a long story short. They did not include us with the singles. I even asked at the front desk. No help. After about half week. They left a schedule at my door, but, by then, was no fun. When I returned home I called and emailed, vacations to go. They did not try to make things right. Vacations to go for singles lost my business and I tell people.

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for writing, Maria. We are so sorry to hear that you and your sister were not able to participate in the singles activities once on board. I'd like to investigate this further, but I don't have enough information to locate your reservation in our system. Do you remember the ship and sail date for this cruise? Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

We wanted to book a cruise. The price was $177! When we called, the price was double! Taxes and fees were over 100% of the price of the cruise!!!! Seriously! NO BUENO! How can taxes and fees be over 100% of the original ticket price????

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for writing, Kathy. We're so sorry to hear that you're frustrated with the price quote you received. Taxes and fees are in addition to the price on our website, as stated on every FastDeal, and are set solely by the cruise line. Amounts vary for each sailing and are based off the length of the cruise and your destinations. We wish we had the ability to lower those for you, as in some cases, they can be high. We do hope that you'll give us a chance to work with you again in the future.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

We booked our Cartagena, Columbia Step On Step Off City Sightseeing Tour through the Vacations To Go website after booking a cruise the same way. The tour was offered very early, before cruise line excursions were made available, before we knew the ship's schedule in port, and supposedly at a discounted rate. Because we had to arrange our own transportation to meet the tour, we paid $40 American cash for taxi service each direction, increasing the price of this tour quite significantly. However, the cab rides with the taxi drivers were fun and interesting and ended up being possibly the best part of our experience.

The City Sightseeing Step On Step Off Tour turned out to be a continuous tram tour that operates throughout Cartagena from 9 AM to 6 PM daily. It is available to tourists staying in the city for as little as two Colones per day (quite inexpensive). We, of course, had paid substantially more. You meet the tour at an open bus stop in downtown Cartagena and must wait in full heat and sunshine until it arrives. There are no restrooms offered and the English language skills of the peddlers in the area are very limited, so we had not access to restrooms at all until we returned to the cruise port.

Transportation is by open tram and/or double-decker trams that are open on the second level but have closed windows with some cooling on the ground level. You are handed a map and a set of earphones when you board the vehicle. The earphones then can be plugged into a device in front of each seat, and you can select the language of your audio tour. Unfortunately, we had great difficulty hearing due to all of the motor noise and loud conversation going on around us, and the guides on the trams turned out to have very limited English skills as well, so it was difficult to get answers to questions. Further, the audio tour did not appear to be coordinated with the actual stops the tram was making. The idea is that you can step off at any of the stops and tour that attraction, then get back on when the next tram arrives in 45 minutes - a rather loose estimate as it turned out.

Because our ship arrived at 6 PM on Wednesday and departed at 2 PM the next day, we were on a very tight schedule, trying to do the tour between 9 AM and 12:30 PM in order to be back on the ship on time. We got out at only one of the stops and ended up waiting for longer than expected to board the next tram. It takes 90 minutes to do the tour if you just stay on the bus and ride the full circuit around to explore your options before choosing your stops - so, we did not do that. Many of the stops turned out to be shopping opportunities and a couple of the major Cartagena sights were not on the tour at all.

My suggestion is that this would be a perfectly adequate and inexpensive way to see much of the city for tourists staying in the downtown area and not under pressure to do the entire circuit in a few hours. However, if you do not have fluent Spanish language skills, this tour may not be for you. We did get a good feel for the new downtown and Old City areas of Cartagena by riding around and did enjoy, very much, our taxi rides. But you might be better off just hiring an independent taxi to take you to the major sights in the city and skipping the tram tour altogether. Or simply book this excursion through the ship, which will be more attentive to your language and comfort needs. Also, be aware that the Cruise Port itself has some shopping opportunities and a few other attractions for those who want an inexpensive experience and do not want to go far from their ship.

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you thought about your shore excursion, Beth. We are so sorry to hear that it was such a disappointment to you. I've asked one of our managers to reach out to you to discuss this with you in more detail and see if there's anything we can do. We do appreciate your business and hope you enjoyed the other ports on your cruise. Welcome home and we look forward to speaking to you soon.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

We just completed another Cruise through VTGO and loved it! Agent Cicely ** helped us through all the discounts that Celebrity came up with (they kept lowering the prices before final payment). We also purchased, as always, the travel insurance they offer. Never buy the Cruise Line Insurance. We're very happy to have Cicely and hope to book other cruises soon. Over the years VTGO was always there to help, period.

Vacations To Go response

We truly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience, Daniel. We're so glad to hear that Cicely took such great care of you and that you were able to take advantage of the lower prices before final payment! We are grateful for your loyalty to Vacations To Go through the years and I know Cicely looks forward to working with you again in the future! I'll make sure that she and her managers see a copy of your kind words. Thank you again and we hope you had a great cruise!

Vacations To Go Company Information