2. Travel
  3. Travel Agencies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.11/5

Vacations To Go Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vacations To Go?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vacations To Go?

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

We have used VTG for a few cruises now, and have become loyal to them. They seem to offer the best prices, and I cannot stress how happy I've been with their agents. They are professional (albeit someone automated in their follow-up emails...but I guess that's to be expected) and I love the companies long hours/availability. That said, there are a few things I would provide constructive feedback on:

First and foremost, it's annoying having to go through an agent to look up every cruise. In some cases, there are dozens I'd like to compare, and I would have no problem doing it myself....but I'm forced to have an agent do it. Maybe they could give users the ability to do a little more on their own? Even if it could just give me an "estimated" $ amount or range, that would be nice.

Second, I like having an assigned agent. However I wish there was a better process for getting a quote on their days off. The way it currently works is you call in and speak with, effectively, a NEW agent. If you end up booking one of the cruises that the new agent looks up, I'm pretty sure he/she gets the commission, and your "normal" agent gets nothing, despite the work they've done up until that point. I wish there was an option on the phone/website to deal with someone neutral/non-commissioned, even if it's in a limited capacity while your agent is away.

Finally, their "advanced search" option is quite good, but I wish you could add more search criteria for their "departure point". For an example, I would love to be able to select "Eastern US" or, create my own custom group of ports that I can use moving forward. Or, even easier...just let me add more than 4 locations to the search from. I realize they've added groups such as "all Florida", which is beneficial, but I still find I could use a few more due to where I live.

One thing I love about the search, is that if I select "go back to custom search", the forum REMEMBERS all the stuff I'd previously filled in. I don't think it used to do this, and it used to be really annoying. All in all, my complaints are merely constructive feedback since I know the company reads these reviews. I really enjoy working with VTG, and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. In fact, I'm hoping to book another cruise with them today.

Vacations To Go response

We truly appreciate your constructive criticism, John, as well as your loyalty to Vacations To Go through the years. We're pleased to hear that you're so happy with the service you've received so far! Thank you for your suggestions about our website. I'll be sure to pass them along to those who have overseen the recent site revamp. Any time your agent is out of the office, you may dial 0 to speak to a Customer Care Specialist. They can assist you in your agent's absence. Thank you again, John!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

OK... I realize nothing in life is ever "perfect", however, the number of negative reviews read has left me very perplexed. My wife and I have utilized VTG over the past 12+ years to book 4 cruises and have never experienced the level of misadventure described herein. Many reviews to the negative, in my opinion, are from people who are never happy unless they're complaining about something. Conversely, the number begs the question whether something has changed in the operation of the company recently to attribute the high number of negative reviews? Inexperienced new employees? New salary "incentives" that might give reason for dishonesty?

Granted, if things go well, you're unlikely to hear from those folks, so take the negatives with a grain of salt - the volume of positive experiences may very well outweigh the number of negatives given the actual volume. Barring the above potential root causes, I just wanted to voice my very positive prior experiences to balance all these negative comments. Keep up the good work and keep providing the cruising public a demonstrable "bargain"!

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for your positive review, Rob, and for your loyalty to Vacations To Go for so many years. I can assure you that we have not made any changes in our upper management, our business structure or how we view the importance of serving our customers with integrity. We truly appreciate the time that you took to leave a very honest and accurate perspective and we look forwarding to having the opportunity to work with you and your wife again soon!

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

We booked our cruise through Vacations To Go and had Jean-Luc as our agent. We unfortunately missed our cruise as my purse was stolen with everything in it. I immediately called Jean-Luc and he could not possibly been more helpful to us. He did everything he could to help us out and I would highly recommend him and Vacations to Go. Our friends luckily did make it onto the ship and I know they have used Jean-Luc several times to book their cruises so we used them as well. Also very impressed with Celebrity Cruises and very helpful all through this very distressing time for us. WE cannot be more impressed!

Vacations To Go response

We truly appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us and for all the wonderful things you said about Jean-Luc. We are so sorry to hear your purse was stolen and can only imagine how disappointing and scary that must have been for you to not only lose your belongings, but to miss the cruise you've planned with your friends. We are so glad that Jean-Luc and Celebrity have been understanding, helpful and compassionate during this time. Please let us know how we can further assist.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

We just booked two (2) cruises for 2020 with Vacations To Go. We have previously booked through Vacation to Go for our last 8 cruises. Our agent 'Reed' has gone over the top in accommodating us and our sailing friends (one has a disability) with alternative rooms on various ships. Our experience with pricing is the opposite of some of the reviews I have read. Calling or looking up cabin pricing, at least on Royal Caribbean cruises websites, has not benefited us a lower price. We have typically saved substantially going through Vacations to Go. They have even been able to group our dinner reservations together for a family reunion cruise when Royal Caribbean wouldn't offer that as an option.

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for your kind review, James! We are so glad to hear that you have been able to take advantage of our great prices, and that you have received such excellent service from Reed. Thank you for your business! We know Reed looks forward to continuing to assist you for many years to come!

Original review: July 30, 2019

I have taken cruises in the past. My experience with the run of the mill travel agencies is that they do not respond well after being paid. I have given Vacations To Go 4 stars instead of 5 stars only because nothing is ever perfect but my experiences have been good. Remember booking a cruise, a hotel, a tour, or anything is actually the obligation of that company directly involved with the service. Is it possible that a previously reputable company that Vacations To Go used is no longer reputable. Absolutely.

My recent personal experience was that I found it more personable and professional working with Vacations To Go vs Royal Caribbean International. Responses for detailed itinerary were that "Our systems do not provide the information you are requesting." Contacting Vacations To Go and requesting the same information, provided me with the details I wanted, a deep and broad description of the deck and room location chosen and responses to all of my questions. Keep in mind that Vacations To Go is a travel Service providing the best answers available from their vendors. I will continue using their services, and realize that all my prior complaints were with bookings directly from the cruises who are merely booking agents for shore excursions for a fee. That's my two cents. And thank you Vacations To Go for past vacations with the hope that future ones will be as enjoyable with your professional guidance.

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, Michael. We're glad to hear that you've had good experiences with Vacations To Go in the past and we appreciate your fresh perspective to travel and all its moving parts! We do hope we have the opportunity to work with you again soon and earn that 5th star! Thank you again for your business and kind words.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I booked a Greek island cruise schedule to depart April 2020. The cruise was cancelled due to Covid. I was trying to contact the original agent who was assigned to book the cruise but he is no longer with the company. The new representative responded a few times regarding my cruise but stopped responding when I requested for a refund. The company Vacations To Go sent an email regarding getting a voucher for future cruise but never received one. This company is a scam! They haven’t responded to several follow up emails I sent. All calls are being referred to the agent you are assigned to and others will not help you. I also left several messages but no return calls.

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for writing, Evelyn. We apologize for any lapse in communication. Due to COVID-19, we had thousands of cancellations and customers needing assistance and a very limited staff working under stay-home orders. Pullmantur cancelled your sailing on March 18 and only offered a Future Cruise Credit to all impacted passengers, not a refund. Unfortunately, any decision regarding compensation, or making exceptions to the existing compensation offers, is entirely up to Pullmantur. I'm very sorry.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I have used them previously, however, in this Covid 19 thing they are not taking the role of being consumer advocates, more the line of protecting the company treasure chest. I called when the news became obvious that we were in the high risk no sail group and the person I spoke with was not the person I had been dealing with (it is very hard to contact your initial contact person or "vacation specialist"). I spoke with another person who basically cancelled my cruise for four and now I am told my only option due to the way VTG handled me is to get a FCC (future cruise credit) from the company Royal Caribbean - they are very hands off now and I am out 4K.

I thought a travel agent was an advocate, they are not. Vacations To Go will refer you to the cruise line directly for any problem. Apparently if you carefully read what they are doing for you (nothing) they are merely a place to get quotes on prices. I will say once you report a complaint, the next time you call the phone disconnects during the conversation-both on land line and by cell phone, very strange. I do not have this problem normally, maybe they need a new phone system.

Vacations To Go response

I'm very sorry you're upset with the way your cancellation was handled, Ruth. At the beginning stages of this, we were working with a very limited staff under stay-home orders and were experiencing very long hold times. I do apologize for your difficulty in reaching us. Our team members are trained not to cancel any reservation without the approval of the passenger. If you'd like to provide me with your booking number, I'll be happy to look into this further. Thank you for writing.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: May 19, 2020

The travel insurance sold by VacationsToGo does not cover COVID-19 related cancellations. Additionally had to start credit card chargebacks to receive my refunds in a timely manner. They were of no help in getting refunds or communicating about status.

Vacations To Go response

Thanks for writing, Alan. Most insurance companies did not cover COVID-related cancellations for fear of travel. In most cases, travel suppliers were offering Future Travel Credits for customers that cancelled before the supplier made the decision to suspend operations. Almost all of our travel suppliers have informed us it is taking them 90 days to process refunds and chargebacks can slow the process or negate any Future Travel Credit that was issued. We hope you were successfully refunded.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Be AWARE! Do not use this group... Vacations To Go canceled my Greek Escape vacation the week of my vacation in March. They promised me a full refund in two weeks and now it’s been right at three months and I have no refund. Now when I call they promise to contact Globus and call me back and the never call back. This week they tell me my call is breaking up or they just don’t answer. Pissed! They have Robbed Me of money that it has taken us two years to save. Looks like I’m having to pay Lawyer fees on top of the money they owe me...I can no longer recommend this company and I have sent them many customers.

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for updating your rating, Earnestine! We're sorry that your refund took so long. Due to the unprecedented backlog of cancellation requests, it took Globus much longer than usual to process the refund. I see that you spoke to one of our managers on May 6th and he was able to confirm that Globus sent your refund on May 1. I'm glad you've finally received it and we hope to have the chance to work with you again in the future!

Original review: May 7, 2020

I have booked to travel by cruise line Jewel of the Sea on 26 July 2020. It us through Vocationstogo. In view of the Covid pandemic, l wanted to get my full refund or other ways to limit my lost. I have wrote to the travel counsellor, Piper ** but she did not reply. I wonder can someone from the company can kindly help us in this situation. My booking number is #**.

Vacations To Go response

Thank you for writing, Cheong. We apologize for any delay in contacting you. I see that you spoke to a supervisor in early June concerning your Future Cruise Credit (FCC). When you cancelled your cruise, it was still scheduled to depart so the cruise line was only offering an FCC for cancellations, not a refund. Any decision regarding compensation, or making exceptions to existing compensation offers, would be entirely up to the cruise line. I'm sorry we weren't able to do more.

Vacations To Go Company Information