2. Travel

American Express Travel

American Express Travel
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.53/5

Get matched with a great travel agency now

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Get matched with a great travel agency now

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

American Express Travel Reviews

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Terrible experience. I had tried using the service about a year ago when trying to book international flight arrangements but became so concerned about the competence of the person I was dealing with. I changed my mind and dealt directly with the airline. I decided to try again this week to book another international flight. I spent a long time on the phone with a representative only for her to tell me that she would need to research the flights and will call me back. Never heard from her again. I then called and tried again. I spent a long time on the phone with the representative and gave her my direct number to call me if we got disconnected. We did. 30 minutes later she called and left a VM directing me to call the main number. I did and was told that they would get a message to her so that we could pick up where we left off. Never heard from her again. Don't waste your time.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Booked air and hotel for a New Year's week trip for my family of 6. Booked it 8 months in advance due to high volume week. I called Amex travel not once but 3 times to confirm the res because I hadn’t seen the hotel deposit taken from my card. Just to be safe I called the hotel directly and they said my reservation was canceled!!!! Amex was unable to reverse this thus my entire family, some of whom flew in from out of town, were unable to go on vacation!!!! I’m still in the process of unraveling everything and I’m told I’ll be compensated but I will NEVER look at Amex or their travel Dept the same way again. I’m a member since 1983 and am seriously considering canceling my card! DO NOT BOOK WITH AMEX. THEY ARE ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I booked a flight for me and my 3 yr old to Korea for Feb 2020. The month that I booked the ticket, my son had another medical flare up. Long story short, doctor wrote us a letter and advised him to not travel. I had to call 6 times, speak with a bunch of representative to get NOWHERE. HORRIBLE. One of the day I was stuck on the phone with them, Asian and Amex insurance for more than 4 HOURS of my life just trying to cancel my 3 yr olds ticket. Finally the supervisor said she would cancel my son's ticket (after they kept saying they cant do it) and that she would email me a confirmation for me to submit to insurance for PARTIAL refund (ticket was $1,291), paid amex insurance $152 for coverage, and they said the max they could refund is $782 (I guess we didn't read the fine print, holy moly).

Even till right now, his ticket still have not been cancelled even though I spoke to the supervisor. I just called back to be on the phone for another hour for them to tell me to try to call back again tomorrow when another supervisor is in. How hard is it to just cancel my ticket and send me the confirmation so I can finish my claim by this same company??? I WILL NEVER BOOK THROUGH AMEX TRAVEL EVER AGAIN. They are horrible, just horrible. Such a simple task and it took more than 6 phone calls for it to still not be done... Just crazy. Learn from my mistake, I should not open a Amex card for travel benefits. That was not wise of me. No wonder they had promotions to bank with them.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I was excited to book my 35th anniversary trip to Italy. I tried to book my trip 11/21/19 and the Amex travel site crashed (of course at the very end after I'd entered all of our info). I tried again, crashed. Tried again, and the price went up $300!! I called in as was told that's just want happens. I tried again using one day later than my original dates, crashed. Tried one more time, crashed - the actual message said your transaction is NOT completed. Try again. Later that day I rec'd an email with a trip id for the 2nd set of dates. The next day I checked "my trips' in my Amex account, and it didn't show, so I called and was told that yes, my trip was booked, I was all set, and that the itinerary would NEVER show up in my trips.

A few days later when I saw that Amex was charging me for 4 tickets instead of 2, I looked in my trips, and saw there were now TWO trips. One with the original dates, one with the 2nd set of dates. It's been almost a month now, and it is STILL not resolved. They have to order a transcript of my call (I guess to prove I wasn't lying in the first call). I was told the call transcript would take 2-3 days, then 1 week-10 days, then up to two weeks, and now I'm being told they will call me when then get to it - and basically, "Don't call and bother us anymore." HORRIBLE.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I booked my hotel 2 weeks ahead through Amex Travel, paid in full, received a confirmation email from Amex, and when I am at the hotel to check-in, reservation did not show up in the hotel's account. I spent 2 hours on call with Amex representative, and they could not figure out, and suggests to cancel the booking and refund the amount. I had to re-book the hotel as a walk-in. And as if this wasn't enough, it's been 2 weeks today and there is no sign of refund in my account. On top of it, it took me 40mins on phone call today to look into the mess and issue a refund. Finally they are issuing a refund to my account. I had a bad experience spending these many hours for a hotel booking. And next time would rather do my travel bookings via other source.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I booked a round trip via my American Express platinum travel services and I have spent more time on the phone than on my vacation and travel. They messed our names with ticketing and booked us on an oversold Lufthansa flight. My family and went through stress and still don’t know what to do. I will be closing my account and will never book through the am as they lie and lie. I would have been better off booking through Priceline or Expedia. Would have gotten better price and probably less headache. Don’t pay AM ridiculous card fee.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I booked my flight 5 months prior to my travels for the best price through AmexTravel. I had a perfect flight setup for travel from USA to Australia where I wouldn't have to encounter any weird layovers or stops. 4 days prior to my travel, I get an email from AmexTravel saying there was a flight change and that I need to call them.

1st AmexT agent: Seems to be apologetic and tells me that AmexTravel had changed my flight to something that was impossible for me to do — he had admitted that AmexTravel screwed up... (flight to Australia was leaving as I'm boarding the flight to LAX to go to Aus...) He tells me that I may have a better chance if I call the Airline themselves and get the flight privilege transferred over to them. He gave me the best alternate flight option (a 9 hour layover in LAX at midnight) and call ended.

Me: I call Virginia Australia and they tell me that they literally cannot do anything to my flight because AmexTravel has all the privilege and ownership of my ticket. SO they told me to call AmexTravel. Great. I just wasted 15 minutes calling Virgin and now I have to spend 7 minutes going through voice automated intro and authenticating myself.

2nd AmexT Agent: Seems nice but tells me the same thing and that my best option is the 9 hour layover or an extra stop somewhere else for an extra layover. At this point I decided to just go with the layover and book the ticket. I later explained my whole situation with calling the first agent and Virgin. She tells me that she is gonna add $50 credit to my account for the troubles and she'll send an email over for that. - No Email and No added credit on account to this day.

Me: At this point I get another email saying that my travel insurance didn't go through due to a system error. So now I call Amex Travel Insurance. 3rd AmexT Agent: Confused about this whole thing transfers me over to another agent. (India call center) 4th AmexTI Agent: tells me the process is going to take 30 minutes to go over the docs. - - As this is happening I try to geta hold of an online agent that could help me submit a complaint about this whole experience. "Cynthia" tells me that I can form any complaints online and that the best way is to call up a general AmexTravel number and ask for a supervisor... -.-

Virgin + Delta: I call both of the flight companies to select a seat because AmexTravel are unable to do so for me. Thanks AmexTravel, you guys are really good at your job. 5th AmexT Agent (The worst of them all): She looks up my travel Id and asks why I'm calling today. I tell her that I wanted to talk to a supervisor. She tells me what my complaint is and I start telling her my experience as I would've written my complaint. She quickly starts to interrupt me mid sentences to try and justify that they are JUST a FLIGHT Agency and that they are not responsible for my troubles. 3 minutes of heated discussion with this lady about their capabilities as a "Flight Center and 3 minutes of her consistently talking over me as I'm walking her through my experience, I felt defeated. I gave up and ended here. You win AmexTravel.

Dear AmexTravel, If you're not willing to do the best you can as a travel agent, and to serve your customers that are putting a lot of trust in your system/hands/agents, please just invest your money elsewhere. I shouldn't have given your system a chance and I would've happily just managed this myself through each airline if this was going to be the outcome (that's what i ended up doing I guess). The fact that you cant do anything about anything and that I have to manually go to each flight companies to setup my seats and troubleshoot any itinerary is just absurd. Your company lacks responsibility and your agents lack empathy.

Dear Travelers, You're FARRR better off managing your travels yourself. At least if something goes wrong, it's on you to fix and manage — and you don't have to worry about egocentric powerless agents that are not there to serve your needs as you're preparing to fly your whole family 14 hours over the Pacific Ocean. I DO NOT RECOMMEND AMEXTRAVEL TO ANYONE.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Have been a Amex platinum card member 15 year. Currently in the process of closing my card. I wanted to cancel a flight yesterday and I was on the phone with two representatives yesterday who were both complete incompetent and had me on the phone for about 45 minutes on a call which I made international's from another country, and after all they asked me a 100 unnecessary questions and never cancelled my flight! Will have to close my account and suggest the same to all my friends. Your customer service is getting worse and worse, the online travel reservation website has worked horribly for the last 5 years, most flights available on other website never even come up, and some that come up do no book, and it's full of bugs and errors! Horrible online travel service and reps. I try to use it because points are important, but it's becoming impossible to us, compared to others, it's the worse I have dealt with!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Booked a car rental for in Israel. Get a confirmation email that the rate will be $83.16!! I was charged over $600!!! Amex travel will not owner the price they provide me. Talk to 6 different supervisors and each time thy do not have any record of my complain. They blamed everyone and will not admit they made a mistake. BIG disappointing from American express. They offer me $250 back and i declined that and demanding $400 refund as it need to be.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

RT flight from BKK to SFO, $775 with the airline and Expedia, etc. With AXP? $1017. They're a joke. They offer no extra service whatsoever, nor does it matter if you are a corporate platinum member, which I was through a special promo. Also, their website is often down ... all the way to their own agents. Don't even consider them, never a good deal.

Not sure about American Express Travel?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Travel Agencies for you.

American Express Travel Company Information