American Express Travel
1.35/5
Based on 83 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

American Express Travel

93 American Express Travel Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 27, 2018

American Express Travel is a typical airline credit card. Minimal benefits for the cardholder and maximum benefits for the airline and/or credit card company, if you don't pay it off every month.

Original review: April 22, 2018

As another poster stated, the ONLY reason to ever use AMEX travel is for points, and that is what I did. On March 13, 2018 I purchased a plane ticket from AMEX travel from Pittsburgh to Beijing. Purchasing this ticket on the AMEX website took almost two hours due to due issues caused by the AMEX servers. After trying to put my trip through a few times and noticing the seat I chose was now sold, it appeared that my purchase of the ticket for $450 had processed, but I wasn't 'sure as I didn't receive a confirmation. I called the customer service line to see if my trip had processed or not.

The customer service agent I spoke to said my ticket sale did not process, but that she could see I had logged in SEVEN different times and tried to process this trip and payment. At this time the woman on the phone manually processed my ticket sale, but I was told the price in the past few minutes had jumped from $450 to $569.90. As this was the last ticket available, I paid for the ticket. The customer service woman told me that she thought it was very unfair that I had to pay an extra $119.90 due to their website issues, especially since she could clearly see my seven log in attempts and also could see at least two separate occasions when I tried to purchase the ticket at $450 and the AMEX site failed me.

She put me on hold while she tried to get a supervisor to credit me the $119.90. I was left on hold about 45 minutes waiting to hear back or speak to a supervisor. I didn't get an answer in the end but was told this matter was flagged as "URGENT" and that I should get a call from a supervisor within a few hours. Question Reference # ** and Subject: Trip ID: **. Instead I got an email on March 16th stating "we are unable to see the price you were trying to book due to the booking failed." I was already told they could see all my activity and my seven login attempts. I am sure they could see a cached file and see the $450 price. I shouldn't have to pay extra for their faulty website.

American Express Travel Reviews (Updated May 2018) | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 18, 2018

I just made two reservations with my AMEX miles, and found that their use of my points was very fair. I think booking through AMEX gave me a much better deal that I got with United Mileage Plus card.

Original review: April 17, 2018

If you fly Delta this is a perfect card. They keep me updated on my miles and also send me deals as they come available. The first year is free of fees.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Their customer service is the best ever! It is the only card I pay an annual fee for because of the benefits of first bag free and priority boarding.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: April 4, 2018

My husband, who has been an American Express member since 1988 and is also a Platinum member, decided to book our hotel for Spring Break through the AmEx website. He found the hotel that we stayed at 3 years ago, found the suite we had with a separate bedroom and booked it. We printed out the details along with the picture that the website posted to bring with us. After arrival, checking in and walking into our room we realized this was a much smaller room with no separate bedroom.

We have a teen son and a 7 year old son who need lots of room to spread out and we are stuck in a small room that is nothing like the description on the AmEx website. The hotel is sold out, so no chance of changing rooms. My husband called AmEx only to waste an hour and a half of his time to be told by the “manager” that there was nothing they would do because he booked the trip! He’s ready to cancel our membership and I cannot blame him. It was the worst customer service experience that we have ever had with Amex.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Basically, the only reason to use Amex Travel is for points. Spent the last month back and forth trying to get Amex to refund Delta change fees which were incurred because the agent didn't book connecting flights on the correct day. I spent a couple of hours on the phone on hold and had to follow up multiple times to get them to "review" the voice records and get me my refund. Had I not double checked my ticket for a connecting flight I would have missed my flight.

I just kept getting "I'm very sorry but we have to review the record" and then no response for a week. Also, know that if you are a platinum card holder when you book online you aren't booking with platinum travel. You are booking with regular Amex Travel which I've now learned does not offer any type platinum service. They apparently tell you that you aren't with platinum travel when booking online somewhere in the fine print. No point in paying 550 dollars a year to have travel messed up and then spend a bunch of time on the phone to have them fix it.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I booked a ticket with Amex Travel and it's been a pain ever since. First they never sent me a confirmation email of the itinerary and then Airlines cancelled the route and asked me contact my agent to get my flight updated. I called their customer service 10 times to date and each time they put me on hold and keep transferring me to several departments. And the issue hasn't been resolved. As I write this review I've already spend one and half hour on phone and still on hold hearing this horrendous music. I contacted their customer service and also executive team and they don't seem to care and I'm not surprised why their rating is too low.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I booked flight ticket using Amex travel website. Website says, "You can cancel your ticket anytime within 24 hours for full refund." I tried cancelling it two hours before 24 hours and customer service kept me on hold for more than two hours and declined to give me full refund. I'm paying AMEX $195 for a year for such pathetic service.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Refund of flight tickets. I have been since 10 pm trying to speak with someone that can help me. I have been on hold for hours. Told the same story to Lisa, Melissa, Tasha and Ally. Still I have been told by Ally to wait on hold for another hour. I have been a member of American Express since 1968. Don't waste your money with American Express. They take your money and Platinum service is worthless! I am still on hold and it is 1 o'clock in the morning.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I rented a car through AMEX Travel Service for a week in Cabo San Lucas Airport, the agency they had me rent from was Hertz. I signed a deal online for a compact car for a week at approximately $175 for the week. AMEX Travel service called to follow and they told me the only other requirement was liability which is $13.00 per day so total cost $265.00 for the week. This was on the expensive side for Mexico but I trusted AMEX Travel and Hertz. I returned the car after a week fully loaded, lady at the counter offered me the ticket to sign only in pesos, I asked if that would be about $265.00. She said yes, pending exchange rate. Got home charged $374.24 to my AMEX card.

I have opened up a complaint to Hertz and AMEX and have yet to get an answer how my cost could go up more than $100 USD for the week. I shall never again use AMEX travel and will limit if at all use AMEX in the future. Have rented cars all over the world never seen this type fraud before. I'm appalled. My first and only review on Consumer Affairs as I'm pretty flexible and easy going, but to charge me 40% more than my contract, absolutely unacceptable.

Later on I find review for this Hertz location at Cabo airport and it seem 95% of customers got defrauded at this location. AMEX travel choose to do business with them, why? Had it not been for AMEX travel I would have never rented there as they were more expensive than other companies to begin with. My trust was with AMEX travel and it's now gone 100%.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have had mostly positive experience with American Express over the last 9 years as a card holder. This was however my first time using the travel feature because honestly the price was never the best. I discovered the lowest rate guarantee this time on top of the perks of the gold hotel collection, so a great deal. I read reviews first and was worried to book. I looked over cancellation policy first and felt comfortable booking. Submitted my lowest rate guarantee after I was sure it was a match, and less than a day later I received an email that it was granted and my account will be credited. I usually don't post reviews unless it was awful or superb, but I felt like everyone on here just left angry reviews. Some are legitimate complaints but some also sounded like people upset that they didn't read the terms before they booked or submitted a claim. The experience was easy and went smoothly for me.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I was a victim of price gouging plain and simple! I will cancel all my cards with American Express because I do not trust them After this experience. My hotel room was denied when trying to book through AMEX travel and then literally right after I was denied they marked up the price $20 a day and I was trying to book a room for 21 days. I was only getting the runaround when I inquired further. I will never again be a American Express customer, not to mention having to pay $550 a year for a horrible experience.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I booked a RT flight and hotel with American Express Travel, instead of booking with my preferred airline and hotel on July 5, 2017 for an emergency trip. Within 24 hours I called the American Express Travel number to cancel. Hold time was over 10 minutes. Finally I was connected with a disgruntled agent. I spoke to her with respect and consideration thinking the 4th of July holiday travels might have had an effect on her demeanor. When I told her I needed to cancel she became irritated and said I would not receive credit for my purchase. I reminded her Delta airlines and most airlines are required to give refunds if canceled within 24 hours, she understood and agreed and confirmed I would receive the airfare refund.

That, did not happened. Billed on my AMEX card after disputing with AMEX. I asked her about the Marriott fees and she informed me no refund. I explained to her as a Marriott Member I have never been charged for an entire reservation if I cancel within 24 hours and that I personally spoken with the Manager at the Marriott in Auburn, Ala and confirmed I would not be charged for the stay. Billed on my AMEX after disputing. So who gets my $1600++? Btw, American Express Travel is not a true travel agent, they book their flights through Orbitz. So I'm still dealing with the company to get my money back. No ticket, no hotel, no money. Don't fall for the American Express Travel as affiliated with AMEX. These are not true Travel Agents.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Since I am an American Express Platinum member, I figured I was in good hands booking travel through Amex Travel. WRONG! I booked 8400.00 in business class tickets through Amex Travel-- When I needed to cancel them I found out they were NON-REFUNDABLE. There is some small print on the folio that says "List-item-policies This ticket may be non-refundable. Please read the airline fare rules and restrictions for more information." But they do not post the web address anywhere you can find it. DON'T BOOK TRAVEL THROUGH THESE PEOPLE. I am considering canceling my account.

Original review: July 2, 2017

We booked 2 nights at the Omni Richmond Hotel. The first night we had to leave due to an emergency. The trip was paid for using points/cash. This morning I spoke with American Express Travel asking to at least get some of my points reinstated. After a run around for 1 hour I closed both of my accounts. Nothing was resolved, the hotel was worthless. We were customers with American Express for years. Never again, and never at Omni Hotel.

Original review: May 2, 2017

American Express Travel is an unlawful company that you can't trust in business. I booked an all inclusive hotel package for kids' spring break through Amex Travel on Feb, after comparing rate with Expedia and other travel websites. It was slightly cheaper, maybe ~$200 for 8 days package and guess I can earn rewards point via Amex card as well. $1991.60 was charged on my Amex card on Feb25th, but didn't receive any confirmation. I can still see my travel booking on Amex Travel website. Felt ok. Received a brief email confirmation on April 9th.

Arrived at Mexico hotel on April 16th, and they wouldn't allow me to check in and asked to pay extra $1500 for two kids which were already included in my booking. I told the hotel and they kept saying booking shows two infants while my kids are 5 and 12. Had to call Amex Travel and they insisted on their record showing two infants ages 0 and 0. After waiting in the lobby for over 2 hrs while kids were hungry, I had no choice but paying whatever they are going to charge me additional $1186.10 (so called discounted rate for kids). Mood of my whole family for vacation was kind of ruined then... By the time I checked in, we already wasted whole afternoon waiting and making international phone calls...

By then, I realized it was a trap set up by Amex Travel agent, don't know specific who handles it or who scheme is like this, to lure customer book through them and not sending confirmation with no details after they can't freely cancel their reservation. And then while they arrive, hotel charges additional fees with arrangement with Amex Travel beforehand. Called Amex credit card for 2 hrs 5 time to dispute this morning, they kept saying it is internal so transfer my call to Amex Travel, but I was let waiting on phone for over 1 hr without talking to anyone after a person learned my case!!! Such an awful company and I will never book anything with Amex Travel and will definitely send this review as many place as I can so people are alerted with them.

Original review: April 9, 2017

I tried to book a flight through AmEx Travel three times on the same day, maybe more. I received an "Internal Error" message each time. The message also explained that my order could not be processed, so I gave up on the flight. After a 4hr. nap, I received a flight confirmation. How, when my request could not be processed? I called to cancel the flight, and the AmEx Travel rep informed me that the flight was canceled. I went on with my life.

A month later I was charged for the same amount for the same flight. Fast forward another month and 10 representatives later, I found out I was charged twice for the same flight. I disputed the transaction TWICE, but AmEx rebilled me for the flight both times. I decided to pay the balance and close the account. I had to pay $420 for their website's technicality. I will never open another account nor will I recommend AmEx to anyone. Their travel website is terrible, and their customer service reps lack the brains to realize that I was charged for the same flight on the same day for the same amount of passengers during a time that their website malfunctioned. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: March 28, 2017

A good reason NOT to use American Express travel is that they do not follow American Express policies that protect and assist you with the best advice with purchases and finances. They do not follow a 21st century MO (as in the card division) which is to exchange information in a fast expedient manner by the use of a CHAT service. They prefer that you use their website, thereby taking yet another step to separate you from a personalized service.

When you book a trip they do not warn or protect you from predator airlines that have no change or refund policies with lengthy layover trips. They don’t look for the shortest routes and competitive fares. They don’t go to bat for you and weigh your patronage using their card by looking at how they can bargain with an airline as their bank to fight for what is fair for a valued customer. In fact that do not treat you as a valued customer. My inclination after speaking to other friends who have used their services and my 3 experiences where they clearly sold me a fare that I could have found on my own for a better rate directly from the airlines at the last minute. Unlike the Card division that calls you back when they say they will they do not follow up.

Original review: March 22, 2017

I booked a trip using my air miles for 4 people 1500 air miles which is 1500 dollars. They booked me on Frontier Airlines... Only to find out when we flew that seats were 29 dollars... We had to pay 45 dollars for our seats and another 130 dollars for our luggage, which would not be bad if we didn't only paid 25 dollars. This whole trip cost us 2200. They lost my husband's luggage. On return trip did not have a wheelchair ready for me. We haven't traveled in so long. This was terrible.

Original review: March 19, 2017

When booking my flight with American Express I was led to believe that I was in very good hands with your executive and she steered me in the wrong direction. I booked the wrong flight and when I tried to change it I was told they would be a $200 change fee and no matter who I spoke to and I devoted almost an entire day to correcting the city I was told over and over again that this was an airline issue and they could not waive the fee. I will never ever use your company again and I'm thinking very carefully about changing to a different credit card.

Original review: March 19, 2017

Decided to book two flights using the Amex travel site. The latter was acting erratically, so gave up and finally called an Amex agent to help. The flight was a red eye, checking in on one day but departing the next day after midnight. I was very clear about all the details. Come the day of departure, I learn that the agent had booked me for the wrong date and the flight had already departed. I was flying cross country for major surgery so had a very set itinerary. Amex got a supervisor who was able to book another flight, but it didn't jive with all the itinerary details, PLUS I had to pay much more money! All this was the last thing I needed to go through headed into major surgery.

In addition, my return flight, also eventually booked thru an Amex agent, was done with the add-on Global Shield insurance. Buying the ticket online wouldn't allow me to buy the insurance at the same time. A problem because unless that was done that way, I wouldn't have any coverage if I cancelled for medical reasons. So I had to cancel the ticket and re-purchase everything thru an Amex agent as well as the insurance add-on. I followed up with other Amex & Global Shield that I had the insurance coverage w/medical provision. Fast forward, I had to change my return and thinking I had the insurance, bought a new ticket, there not being any seats on another flight for the same airline.

I later, while recovering, put in a claim with Global Shield (which had assured me I had the medical coverage). After four months, they denied me claiming I hadn't bought the insurance at the same time as the ticket. They claimed they searched for all the phone calls (I'd written down the dates & agent names) but "couldn't find them." How convenient. Also, the charges later show up on my statement as two different dates. These crooks just make things up. Am filing a complaint with Calif. insurance dept. for such shady practices. I'm truly appalled at Amex and what seedy service they're dishing out along with crooked partners.

Original review: March 12, 2017

Booked 3 airline tickets with our reward points through AMEX Travel. Chose dates, SEATS and location and booked out over 6 weeks in advance. The day before, I found out that even though you choose seats on the site, they kick them out and you go in without seat assignment. I will never trust the AMEX Travel site again. Go directly to the source, i.e. Delta.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

I found someone's wallet this morning with an American Express card. I contacted American Express so that they can contact the customer and give my contact information to the customer. So, that he can retrieved his wallet. I was told by American Express customer representative, I should cut up the card and that's all they can do. I went ahead and call Chase bank his other credit lender. They were nice enough to reach out to the customer and provided him with the information, so that he can get back his wallet. I think that was very unprofessional. What happened to providing excellent customer service? P.S. Closing my card.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

We rented a car with our AMEX card that included rental car protection. We rejected the insurance from the rental car company as required by AMEX. We returned the car with minor damage (scrapes & scratches), and were charged $1500 USD. We filed a claim with AMEX, after a while AMEX closed the claim because the rental car company did not reply to their requests. We contacted the rental car company they said they never received anything from AMEX. We have tried to contact AMEX again, to have them resend the request, or at least help us and the rental car company locate the request. AMEX does not reply to us with anything more than what looks like a computer generated mail saying they are still waiting for the rental car company response. I hate to think about the consequences of relying on AMEX rental car protection in a more serious collision.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2016

I travel constantly and Amex has been a way that I can bring a colleague in business class and maintain flexibility using the International Airline Program. It used to be a great tool. At some point, I can't identify when, the program changed and the class of ticket was lowered. The flexibility became seriously restricted with Emirates and I no longer was able to change in a reasonably flexible class of service. Just spoke with the sixth person today from Dubai - no calls back, nobody can help, everyone needs to call the rate desk but doesn't call me back, nobody cares, everyone is totally decentralized, Iowa, Georgia, etc etc. No dedicated help. Amex travel is useless - I can't even describe the frustration of what it has become. As soon as I get home from my trip I will cancel my card. FYI I spend about $200,000 a year on business travel. They don't value me...

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

Amex Travel claims to charge no hotel booking fees for platinum members yet when I booked there was a lump "taxes and fees" charge that was about 4% higher than booking at the hotel and other travel sites such as Expedia and Orbitz. After 3 hours on the phone with various folks (mostly waiting on hold) no one could still explain the difference. We even called the hotel directly and they confirmed there was a difference in the fee yet Amex could not explain what it was for. Ridiculous. Trying to sneak fees in - watch out.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

They hit you w/ triple points used for flying - don't use them there. Hotel bookings are nearly impossible. Also busy working put on hold too long - hung up. They should STOP sending travel HOTEL COLLECTIONS BOOK - if it's impossible to book.

Original review: July 24, 2016

Do not book your travel plans with American Express. We used our points to book an all inclusive vacation. It was a nightmare. We were stuck at the airport in Mexico. They did not send our reservation to the hotel. We had no shuttle to get to the resort. Use other travel agencies. We called them many times and their response; "sorry for your inconvenience".

Original review: July 20, 2016

AMEX Credit Card and the Travel Insurance are a complete scam. My rental car was broken into while on vacation. They wouldn't cover anything. Zilch. I'm talking about $8000 worth of stuff and they wouldn't even cover purchases that were on the AMEX Credit Card. I would sue them but they are based out of Arizona and the most you can claim in small claims court is $500. Are you kidding me? And we wonder why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. AMEX is a fraud. Everything about their business is a fraud.

American Express Travel Company Information