American Express Travel

American Express Travel

3.6/5 (385 ratings)

About American Express Travel

American Express Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

AMEX travel is a massive pain. I would expect significantly better CX from a company like AMEX. I am a Platinum cardholder and have 3 accounts with AMEX. First, booking a trip took me HOURS, because the site was not working. All of the agents I spoke to could only tell me to clear my cache, but it wasn't my issue, it was theirs. I finally booked the next day. They don't price match on flights. They make it appear that 24 hour cancellation is easy, with a button on the website, but you still have to go around in circles with their terrible agents. 5x the points is enticing, the entire experience is excruciating. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

Incompetence on steroids. I have been an Amex platinum card member for 30 years for business and personal. I used to work at Amex. Their travel desk has the most incompetent BPO on earth and the US-based staff can’t solve the problems their BPO creates. As a consumer, this feels like their enemies designed the most perfect way to destroy Amex’s customers. How can management not see how awful this division is?

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

Please do not bother using AMEX Travel. You would be much better off with practically any other means of arranging travel plans. The problem is, once they make your reservation, you are stuck with them and third parties (such as airline and cruise companies) cannot discuss the reservation with you, and then nobody at AMEX will ever answer the phone. In fact, I've repeatedly been hung up on while trying to contact them about our upcoming trip to Peru. The government has recommended all citizens leave Peru and not travel there. The cruise line that handled our add-on trip to Machu Picchu cannot help us because AMEX made the reservations. They have transferred me to number they have for AMEX and it hangs up on me. I don't see any advantage, and in fact, have been greatly compromised by being stuck with AMEX as our travel agent.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

Going on a wellness retreat in Vancouver Island. Going for treatments for Cancer. I was given 3 transfers with one 10yr layover. After the tardiness of the first airline Westjet arriving late, I looked for a flight home, it was direct without having to stop at a different States. Because of my frail condition, I thought it would benefit going with Am Ex travel. I love the card! Travel Agents should know what they are doing my travel agent provided me with the WORST travel ever!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

I purchased airline ticket with American Express travel (American Airlines) to travel to Europe for a river cruise for December 2021. Because of Covid the river cruise company canceled our cruise. Therefore I called American Express travel on December 2021 for cancelation. I was informed that I will receive a credit. I did receive an email from American Airlines saying that I do have a credit. In April 2022 I called American Express travel to book our airline for November 2022. According to the representative my credit has expired. After several calls and dealing American Airlines has agreed to honor my credit. We booked our travel for November 2022. I received confirmations from American Express Travel and American Airlines several times till the time of our flight.

Fast forward, we go to the airport to check in, lo and behold American Airlines said that our reservation by American Express Travel is not Valid!!!! We spoke with the American Express Travel representative for 2+ hours, then transferred to a Supervisor (Raven). According to this supervisor "there is nothing they (American Express Travel) can do? That I have to purchase another ticket and they would re-imburse??!! Raven, the AMEX TRAVEL supervisor spoke with the American Airlines representative and asked if we could be helped. American Airlines Representative (Natalie) stated that there is NOTHING they can do Because the problem is at their (AMEX TRAVEL) error.

We had to purchase a new airline ticket with American Airlines and had to pay an extra $3130.60 ONE WAY for 2 people, then an extra return home ticket with Lufthansa Airlines for $1489.50. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE AND UNACCEPTABLE. Today is December 5th and I have yet heard or been contacted by American Express Travel to settle this unbelievable problem. I WILL NEVER, NEVER USE AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL EVER AGAIN!!!! How can a "supposedly" big company and "supposedly" good reputable company do this??!! AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL, I EXPECT YOU TO DO BETTER, I EXPECT AND DEMAND A REFUND!!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

I have spent 3 hours speaking with four representatives trying to find out a way to get accurate receipts for travel expenses such as flights, hotels, rental cars, etc booked through AmEx Travel Services. It appears that there is no way to receive a receipt of actual charges, only estimated expenses and fees, when booked through AmEx Travel. This is problematic when submitting expenses for business purposes. None of the four representatives I spoke with had sufficient knowledge of their processes to be of any help, hence the shuttling over to someone else or another department which then shuttled me back to one of the earlier departments. A huge waste of time and nothing was resolved.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

Cancelled flight and am being held hostage by American Express Travel not allowing me to use the credit. They didn't even show it existing until I called and complained. Refuse to allow me to book a package with my credit even though I could do it through the airline website. Just very poor service-what good is it to accumulate points if they're going to be stolen.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

We booked a flight through American Express Travel on Turkish Airlines 4 months ahead of time. Three weeks before our travel Turkish Airlines cancel the last flight of the return leg. There are no alternatives to get us back on the same day so we requested a refund. Turkish Airlines says only American Express can request the refund. American Express say they can only send an email to Turkish and wait for a refund code. That code take weeks. Even after getting the refund code American Express cannot actually give me a refund for another 4-8 weeks.

Other family members that booked directly with Turkish already have their refund. The tickets cost more than $8,000 and now we have to book with another airline at a higher cost with complete uncertainty of getting a refund. American Express customer service commits to calling me back but doesn't. I escalated to a supervisor who doesn't call me back as he committed. The original representative does not call as she committed.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

The total lack of experience these travel "experts" possess is atrocious. The customer service personnel (no fault of their own) are not equipped to answer the most basic questions or ever go "off script." Wait times for the simplest requests are ridiculous. I ended up just canceling my travel and losing the value of a plane ticket after hours of on-hold time.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2022

We have had a lot of trouble recently with Amex Platinum Travel and, while they have always been spotty, this time, we have had a string of tickets that were seriously messed up. They continually put my known traveler number in the redress number field, so I am put into the regular security line even though I have Clear. I've called them to correct, only to find that it was not, they simply put in my known traveler number and did not remove the number from the redress number.

I often have to call back as it appears impossible for them to correct. I've been able to fix by going directly to Delta - but American Airlines requires that you go through your travel agent. Most recently, my husband attempted to apply a valid, unexpired credit from a cancelled trip to a new trip 3 months prior to our departure date. The tickets, we believed, were booked based on what Amex told us. My husband even received e-mails telling him it was time to check-in. When he tried to, he was told that there was a problem with his ticket and he needed to speak with a ticketing agent. He called Delta and was told he had to speak with AMEX.

Amex confirmed that something had gone wrong with the credit and he did not actually have a ticket. My husband spent 3 hours and 1 minute, primarily on hold, while the AMEX travel agent attempted to fix the ticket. He could no longer have the seat next to mine. Apparently that seat was sold even though he was getting e-mails about checking in. She attempted to purchase another seat on the same flight sometime during the 3 hours he was on the phone. She told him all was fixed and we awaited the confirmation e-mail. None came.

We called Delta. They told us that something was begun for him, but Amex Travel entered something improperly and now the ticket was "corrupted" so he could not use it. After an hour on the phone with Delta trying to apply the credit we gave up and simply purchased the ticket directly through them as Amex Travel was unable to handle it after two tries. 4 hours for 1 ticket. Now of course, we had to go back to Amex Travel and ensure that the he still had the credit since it couldn't be applied to this trip. He's already been on the phone for 30 minutes. Essentially our entire day, the day before we leave over something that should have been done months ago and we had no way of knowing was screwed up until we tried to check-in. It is absolutely beyond comprehension how bad Amex Platinum Travel is. Needless to say - we're done using them.

American Express Travel Company Information