2. Travel

American Express Travel

3.9/5 (140 ratings)

About American Express Travel

American Express Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Customer service based in Philippines - if you manage to contact them at all w/out excessive hold times. They sell accommodations and do not refund if cancelled - even months ahead of travel. STAY CLEAR UNLESS YOU WANT TO SPEND HOURS ON HOLD - and lose money!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

We ordered the ticket through American Express representative as we have refund credit in American express. The representative told us our flight is ticketed. I received the email about the information. I also check the information through airline website. But it is horrible that when we arrived airport we can get the ticket. The airline told us the American express agency cancelled the flight. I didn't receive any email or message about this issue. After that I try to contact with representative, they can check the ticket information, but they don't know the reason. They asked their director to contact with me and also send email to me. Again, I didn't receive any response. One month have already gone!! Most horrible experience!!!

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I wish they find a way that the customers can write to them, why can't create an email for customer services. I don't like to talk to agents I go back and forward too much with them and most of the time thinks turns wrong. I think that writing is the most efficient way of communication and chat doesn't help neither.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I am NOT one to ever write a bad review for anything, however I am at the end of my rope. We booked flights through American Express Travel in 2019. Due to Covid, our trip planned for March of 2020 was cancelled. Air Canada at first would not issue a refund, but about 9 months later announced they would refund all flights that were cancelled due to Covid. However, people needed to go through the company they booked with. We used AM EX Travel. We called, they said they applied for our refund (almost $5,000). We waited and waited. Nothing. Called again. Waited and waited. Called again....etc....then they finally, after months and months, told us they dropped the ball and never applied for the refund and they would take the hit. Still no refund. Waited and waited...still no refund.

Waited about 3 months....nothing. Called and was on hold for over an hour and then disconnected. On the phone now, on hold for about 45 minutes, and we have to start all over. Every time we call, we have to re-explain the entire story, and start the process again. We are getting NOWHERE. I will NEVER, EVER book through AM EX travel again. BEWARE if you are considering it. Again, I am a patient person and never complain. But this is ridiculous. Still no resolution 1.5 years later. AIR CANADA WAS GIVING REFUNDS. A refund would have been no problem had we not booked through Am Ex Travel.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I reserved a rental car from AmericanExpress Travel.ca. I logged to it through my Americanexpress.ca website. When I went to pick the car. I was told that the quote was in American dollars not Canadian. The offer never said American dollars. I booked from Canada and from a Canadian website and the quote never mention American dollars. A Canadian website should quote Canadian dollars unless it it clearly stated the opposite and this is not the case. Quoting American dollars while hiding the currency is wrong, deceiving and fraud.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I've spent over 2 days and over 6 hours on the phone. They removed my flight and did not issue a new flight. I now have no way home because they, admittedly made an error. Every agent I spoke to could do nothing and has done nothing. They charged my card and then never issued a flight. When I told them the issue they told me the price had gone up again, within an hour, and now I had to pay even more because of their error. No one can do anything and you will be on hold for hours on end to have nothing done.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I wonder how they are still in business. It's almost like a scam. Also try to use your hard earned points towards a trip with Amex turns out flights with Amex Travel are up to 20% more expensive which makes your hard earned points worthless. Happened 3 times already for the past 5 years I am with them. Can't wait to close my credit line and kick them out of my life. It adds absolutely no value to it.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I am an AMX platinum card holder. I made a ticket through AMX travel using my points. The trip got canceled a few days later. I tried to cancel using the website but it was not working. I called to cancel the trip and it took over 1 hour for someone to answer the phone. I was then told that if I canceled I could not have a refund, but would have to have airline credit that I could only use for the specific passengers I made the original tickets for, I could only access the airline credit though the AMX website (not the actually airline), and I only had a year to use it. Horrible! I will never book through AMX again.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Service has deteriorated in the last few years, it appears I am now paying just to be lied to and put on hold... I called AMEX today to confirm my flights in August to Europe and ask about covid precautions. I was told that the airport, date and duration of my return flight had changed but no one had informed me. My return flight went from a duration of 13hrs to 38hrs and I was then told I would have to pay if I wanted a better flight or fly from my original selection. I was also told I would have to pay for a bus to the new departure location.

I refused to agree to this as none of this was my fault nor was I informed and I was then transferred to the Platinum insurance dept as my card covers travel interruptions like this. An automated service said there would be a 5min wait and I was on hold for 35mins and then the phone was hung up on. When I called AMEX Travel back I was told this department closed at 6:30pmEST, while I was on hold, I asked to speak with a supervisor who then told me the dept isn't even open on the weekends. At the same time I was on the Online Chat service and I was told the Ins Dept was open until 8pm and was given a direct number to call that didn't work.

I asked the supervisor I was speaking to on the phone to send me information to make a formal complaint as I was receiving 3 different stories from 3 different AMEX staff members and I was told there was no further person to contact and there was nothing more I could do. This is terrible service but it's worse when this all in response to AMEX changing my flights without notifying me and asking me to pay for any extra cost they caused, I spent 3 hours on the phone today to be told there is no one working that could help me and I have to call the insurance dept on Monday. I just want Amex to honor their service agreement and instead, I pay hundreds of dollars to have my flights changed and then treated like crap by the service team.

Original review: March 28, 2021

I booked a round trip flight online from FRA to CHA with a layover in DFW for myself and my two children. I am currently with my husband overseas who is stationed here on orders and we haven't been able to see our family in 3 years. This is our opportunity to do so. I was directed to book online because it would be easier. Well, I did so. All was well until 10 days before our flight, and suddenly I could not see our information online any longer. So, I called in to see what the issue was.

After waiting on hold for TWO hours, I reached someone and they stated that a leg of my trip had been cancelled. Well, they rebooked it. However, they rebooked it with my 11 year old as the main traveler and now I am unable to check in online because it looks like she is traveling as an unaccompanied minor. They also booked me in economy without asking me whenever I originally booked myself in business class. I waited on the phone for over 9 NINE hours in order to speak to someone in attempt to correct things.

They also had mine and my children's first and middle names as our first names and not separately. This caused MAJOR issues and HEFTY fines. We were almost unable to fly because of AMEX online agent's errors. I would highly recommend no one use this service. My husband and I have already decided to cancel our AMEX Platinum Cards and switch to another premium service that has much higher reviews. It is unfathomable that we have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars with AMEX Platinum Card and they offer such poor service.

American Express Travel Company Information