2. Travel

American Express Travel

4.0/5 (38 ratings)

About American Express Travel

American Express Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: July 9, 2021

I wonder how they are still in business. It's almost like a scam. Also try to use your hard earned points towards a trip with Amex turns out flights with Amex Travel are up to 20% more expensive which makes your hard earned points worthless. Happened 3 times already for the past 5 years I am with them. Can't wait to close my credit line and kick them out of my life. It adds absolutely no value to it.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I am an AMX platinum card holder. I made a ticket through AMX travel using my points. The trip got canceled a few days later. I tried to cancel using the website but it was not working. I called to cancel the trip and it took over 1 hour for someone to answer the phone. I was then told that if I canceled I could not have a refund, but would have to have airline credit that I could only use for the specific passengers I made the original tickets for, I could only access the airline credit though the AMX website (not the actually airline), and I only had a year to use it. Horrible! I will never book through AMX again.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Service has deteriorated in the last few years, it appears I am now paying just to be lied to and put on hold... I called AMEX today to confirm my flights in August to Europe and ask about covid precautions. I was told that the airport, date and duration of my return flight had changed but no one had informed me. My return flight went from a duration of 13hrs to 38hrs and I was then told I would have to pay if I wanted a better flight or fly from my original selection. I was also told I would have to pay for a bus to the new departure location.

I refused to agree to this as none of this was my fault nor was I informed and I was then transferred to the Platinum insurance dept as my card covers travel interruptions like this. An automated service said there would be a 5min wait and I was on hold for 35mins and then the phone was hung up on. When I called AMEX Travel back I was told this department closed at 6:30pmEST, while I was on hold, I asked to speak with a supervisor who then told me the dept isn't even open on the weekends. At the same time I was on the Online Chat service and I was told the Ins Dept was open until 8pm and was given a direct number to call that didn't work.

I asked the supervisor I was speaking to on the phone to send me information to make a formal complaint as I was receiving 3 different stories from 3 different AMEX staff members and I was told there was no further person to contact and there was nothing more I could do. This is terrible service but it's worse when this all in response to AMEX changing my flights without notifying me and asking me to pay for any extra cost they caused, I spent 3 hours on the phone today to be told there is no one working that could help me and I have to call the insurance dept on Monday. I just want Amex to honor their service agreement and instead, I pay hundreds of dollars to have my flights changed and then treated like crap by the service team.

Original review: March 28, 2021

I booked a round trip flight online from FRA to CHA with a layover in DFW for myself and my two children. I am currently with my husband overseas who is stationed here on orders and we haven't been able to see our family in 3 years. This is our opportunity to do so. I was directed to book online because it would be easier. Well, I did so. All was well until 10 days before our flight, and suddenly I could not see our information online any longer. So, I called in to see what the issue was.

After waiting on hold for TWO hours, I reached someone and they stated that a leg of my trip had been cancelled. Well, they rebooked it. However, they rebooked it with my 11 year old as the main traveler and now I am unable to check in online because it looks like she is traveling as an unaccompanied minor. They also booked me in economy without asking me whenever I originally booked myself in business class. I waited on the phone for over 9 NINE hours in order to speak to someone in attempt to correct things.

They also had mine and my children's first and middle names as our first names and not separately. This caused MAJOR issues and HEFTY fines. We were almost unable to fly because of AMEX online agent's errors. I would highly recommend no one use this service. My husband and I have already decided to cancel our AMEX Platinum Cards and switch to another premium service that has much higher reviews. It is unfathomable that we have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars with AMEX Platinum Card and they offer such poor service.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I am shocked at how terrible and rude American Express customer service is online. This definitely changes my opinion of this company. I went to their chat to ask a brief question in advance of making a major purchase and wound up in an argument with a customer service agent. Then I went back to try to leave feedback, and the second agent's response was terrible.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

This is the 2nd time we had the worst experience with AMEX Travel booking. Worst part is they allure you into booking through their site because they offer travel credit. I recently booked my family a couple of nights stay in a expensive hotel and the voucher clearly stated what they were to receive. But when they got to the hotel they were advised that the booking info they received from the travel agent was different and they had to pay the difference on the spot unless we could contact the travel agents.

SO AMEX travel do not operate on weekends (When this all happened) and if there is a problem then it can't be resolved right there and then. Amex uses a third party to book the travel and they had made an error (Not the 1st time we have seen this). We have to do all the running around still trying to resolve the issue seeking refunds. I have raised this issue with AFCA as I believe they are not fit to operate in Australia ripping off other Aussies. I'll be canceling my card 1st thing and never use or recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 20, 2020

A little more, but got 3 refunds so far... After getting burned by 2 'authorized' travel agency names listed on this website (2 names, same company), I booked my flights with American Express Travel. Trying to fly international in these Covid days is very challenging. So far, I have received my money back on 3 separate flights which were cancelled in the past 3 weeks. Still waiting on a refund from February! From the 2 agencies who I will not name, but you can find as sponsors of this site. So in reality, I am helping to pay for this site.

Original review: June 12, 2020

I have been an AMEX cardholder for over 20 years. I currently am a Gold Card member and use the reward points I earned through your Rewards Program to purchase an Airline Ticket on Egypt Air leaving on March 16, 2020 for a ‘once in a lifetime’ trip to Egypt. Unfortunately, due to the COVID 19 Pandemic, that trip was canceled and I had to cancel my flight as well.

I first contacted AMEX Travel on March 10, 2020 to cancel the flight and get direction re: having my ticket canceled by the AMEX Travel Department and receive a refund per AMEX Travel policy. I was told during that first phone call by a Travel staff person that he canceled my flight and a refund would be posted to my account within 48 hours. Since I received no email confirmation or notifications, I again called on 3/11, and 3/12 and was told my refund would take longer than normal due to the high volume of cancellations occurring because of the pandemic.

I did not receive email communication or refund, so on 3/19 I called again and received assurances that the refund was coming per policy of AMEX Travel. That staff person sent me to the Rewards Department to address my points being returned. After 3/19, I made calls to AMEX on 3/24, 4/22, 4/23, 4/25, 4/26. During those calls I was shifted to the Travel Department, Rewards Department, Customer Services and back again several times.

Following 7 weeks getting no answers, being given misdirection and being ‘dumped’ by several AMEX personnel, I insisted on speaking to a supervisor and was sent to DD (first name Dudling) who is a supervisor in the Travel Department. She was very nice and only helpful person I came across. She investigated my case and reported to me that my refund request was originally sent to Egypt Air for refund in March, but the refund claim was ‘bounced back’ and was Never processed. So all the so-called ‘information’ I was given over 7 weeks was wrong or false!

DD assured me on 4/26 that she resubmitted my refund request and gave me her work email address: serviceexcellenc@amextravel.com with instruction to contact her within a month if I did not receive my refund, to get the status of my refund. After hearing nothing from AMEX I did as instructed and emailed DD on 5/22. She responded and assured me that the Refunds Department is still working on the reservation to get me my refund.

Now, it’s another month later with no word or refund, so I sent another email inquiry to DD and am waiting to hear back about my Refund. In all the years I have been a loyal customer of American Express, I have never experienced such Poor customer service. I was patient in the beginning because of the COVID crisis, but having to continually chase down answers, being given false information, given the ‘run around’ and still Never getting a resolution, I am DONE. This is unconscionable. AMEX charges $250 annually just for the ’privilege’ of using its Gold Card and I am offered that ‘privilege’ because I am a loyal and excellent customer, with excellent credit who has Never missed a payment or complained to the company. I will be ending my relationship with American Express once this is resolved and I get the refund owed me.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Booked our trip 1 year in advance with Amex Travel online. No problems until Covid-19. Our flight was Mar. 30 to Scotland. On Mar. 20th got a notice from AA that our trip was canceled. So I called Amex Travel, and said what should I do not going to take the flight and it has been canceled, she told me, "We will cancel it on our end and since it was a non-refundable ticket you will have to take 2 vouchers to use later." I was not happy, mainly because this was a trip that was for an event which was no longer happening, so I was not going to rebook.

Told me I had no choice, so it was canceled by Amex Travel... Big Mistake!!! Since laws have changed in May for non-refundable tickets I decided to call today being June 1st. For the 3rd time got on the phone with Amex, the first agent said, "Can't help you, call the airlines and have them give you the refund." Call AA, they were nice and said "No, Amex holds your ticket and they are the only ones to issue this refund." Back on the phone to Amex Travel, this time got a supervisor, explained it again!! After 2 hours of phone time waiting, being transferred, repeating our story again, and holding. I got nowhere, "we can check into it if you give us 5 to 7 days we will notify you."

They said because I canceled the ticket that they cannot issue a refund. They keep saying that it is the airlines that will not allow the refund, but that is wrong. Because of me staying on top of our plans and calling Amex Travel I am not allowed a refund. They claim I agreed to cancel the flight. They told me if I would have done nothing, then it might be different, but I am sure if I did nothing they would tell me, "well you didn't tell us your flight was cancelled". The double edge sword... Honestly, I have done a lot of business with Amex Travel, never had an issue, they always helped me. I think because of this Covid-19 they are finding every excuse not to refund anyones tickets. From reading all these other reviews I see I am not alone. I was a very happy Amex Card carrier, now I am not. From now on booking with Airlines no more Amex Travel...sadly.

Original review: May 8, 2020

AMEX Travel is a scam and that is being nice. Booked r/t business class tickets to Japan. It was bought well in advance of COVID19. Prior to the COVID 19 pandemic, Japan Airlines changed our routing. Amex rebooked us without telling us, gave us a 5 hour layover and put us in economy on US domestic flights. Called to refund, Amex claimed that since we didn't object to the schedule change they considered it consent. They never told us that they booked us in economy! I went round and round with Amex over this and finally just gave up.

Fast forward to COVID19. JAL issued a directive allowing free cancellation of all flights with a refund. Our ticket is refundable with a fee (which JAL said they would waive b/c of COVID). Amex stated that "their" policy only allowed a refund up until May 31st (JAL says June 30th, along with JAL's website). Amex now claims that it only applies to airfare bought directly with JAL versus a travel agent. JAL confirmed their policy and Amex still won't allow a refund. I'm beyond done. I have spent 10+ hours on the phone with the people and have got nothing. They have scammed me and refuse to refund my money even though I have two independent basis for refunds and I am well within the ticket's refund rules. Amex has lost a long time customer over their scam policies.

American Express Travel Company Information