American Express Travel

Compare Travel Agencies

Research top Travel Agencies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We rented a car with our AMEX card that included rental car protection. We rejected the insurance from the rental car company as required by AMEX. We returned the car with minor damage (scrapes & scratches), and were charged $1500 USD. We filed a claim with AMEX, after a while AMEX closed the claim because the rental car company did not reply to their requests. We contacted the rental car company they said they never received anything from AMEX. We have tried to contact AMEX again, to have them resend the request, or at least help us and the rental car company locate the request. AMEX does not reply to us with anything more than what looks like a computer generated mail saying they are still waiting for the rental car company response. I hate to think about the consequences of relying on AMEX rental car protection in a more serious collision.

I travel constantly and Amex has been a way that I can bring a colleague in business class and maintain flexibility using the International Airline Program. It used to be a great tool. At some point, I can't identify when, the program changed and the class of ticket was lowered. The flexibility became seriously restricted with Emirates and I no longer was able to change in a reasonably flexible class of service. Just spoke with the sixth person today from Dubai - no calls back, nobody can help, everyone needs to call the rate desk but doesn't call me back, nobody cares, everyone is totally decentralized, Iowa, Georgia, etc etc. No dedicated help. Amex travel is useless - I can't even describe the frustration of what it has become. As soon as I get home from my trip I will cancel my card. FYI I spend about $200,000 a year on business travel. They don't value me...

Amex Travel claims to charge no hotel booking fees for platinum members yet when I booked there was a lump "taxes and fees" charge that was about 4% higher than booking at the hotel and other travel sites such as Expedia and Orbitz. After 3 hours on the phone with various folks (mostly waiting on hold) no one could still explain the difference. We even called the hotel directly and they confirmed there was a difference in the fee yet Amex could not explain what it was for. Ridiculous. Trying to sneak fees in - watch out.

They hit you w/ triple points used for flying - don't use them there. Hotel bookings are nearly impossible. Also busy working put on hold too long - hung up. They should STOP sending travel HOTEL COLLECTIONS BOOK - if it's impossible to book.

Do not book your travel plans with American Express. We used our points to book an all inclusive vacation. It was a nightmare. We were stuck at the airport in Mexico. They did not send our reservation to the hotel. We had no shuttle to get to the resort. Use other travel agencies. We called them many times and their response; "sorry for your inconvenience".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

AMEX Credit Card and the Travel Insurance are a complete scam. My rental car was broken into while on vacation. They wouldn't cover anything. Zilch. I'm talking about $8000 worth of stuff and they wouldn't even cover purchases that were on the AMEX Credit Card. I would sue them but they are based out of Arizona and the most you can claim in small claims court is $500. Are you kidding me? And we wonder why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. AMEX is a fraud. Everything about their business is a fraud.

I submitted a claim for my recent hotel reservation for my American Express. Since their Lowest Rate Guaranteed policy states to match lowest rate for another website. I was told by a customer service representative to do it. The claim was denied because their policy is only for refundable hotels... First of all their representative needs more training when it come to company policies and not to tell lies. Second, I will never use AmEx Travel for any other reservations. Booking.com have better deals and I don't have to deal with Orbitz, the AmEx third party travel agent. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NO KNOWLEDGE OF THEIR AGREEMENTS. Thank you.

I had called the American Express Membership Rewards people last Thursday to arrange a point/miles transfer to Lufthansa for a business class ticket one way I want for November from New York thru Frankfurt on to Lisbon. I had 55000 points in the account and needed 5300 to give to Lufthansa. Amex Membership Rewards do not have an agreement with Lufthansa so the lady I spoke with (once I finally got through to a human) suggested I transfer the points to Hilton Honors where I would get 1500 points credited to my HHonors account for every 1000 Membership Rewards. She did stress that once the points were transferred they could not be re-deposited into the Membership Rewards program. I transferred 55000 points and received 82500 HHonors points.

I then call Hilton Honors and ask about those points to Lufthansa and she tells me yes - takes 30 days - and they transfer points in units of 10000 for every 1000 airline miles, so after doing the math Hilton would give me 80000 points and I would only have 8000 miles to give Lufthansa for my ticket. I then asked the Hilton lady how many points I need for a two stay at their hotel in Barbados in November and she told me 50000 per night. Does this not seem right or almost a ripoff? I have been trying to get Amex to contact Hilton to get the points credited back to account since last Thursday and they tell me it's impossible and to contact Hilton.

When I asked for an Amex to call me back I was told that they cannot make long distance calls - I'm a Platinum card holder and live in Bermuda and have been a member since 1990. The frustrating thing is that it is next to impossible to contact an English speaking person to sort this out for me and now all I want to is pay off my existing statement and transfer whatever miles I still have in Membership Rewards to American Airlines, cut up the card and send it to American Express. Ditto with the Hilton Honors card.

I have just unwound charges to my American Express by the American Express Travel. The credits were due to duplicate travel insurance. The site does not tell you all the hidden charges. They will add when you book their "cheaper" rates. The airplane that I scheduled was dropped and a new airplane ticket had to be arranged. Guess what? All the charges were replaced. This is the first time I ever used points. The points are not worth it.

I finally decided to use my Green Amex Card points by booking a hotel in Mexico through American Express Travel online. The one time I didn't think I needed to check with the hotel before my cousin and I arrived, we get there AT NIGHT and HAVE NO RESERVATIONS AT ALL. The hotel advised they could accommodate us for a couple of nights but not for the full 5 night stay scheduled. The agent and supervisor that night advised that Amex Travel made the reservations through Orbitz... Yes that's right Orbitz! I don't use online discount travel sites. Amex Travel offered no calls to any hotels in the area, no referrals to any hotel reservation managers, no vouchers for another hotel... nothing. You'd see on the commercials that makes you feel like "Membership has its privileges"... just - ... "you can make other reservations while we refund you for these"... like I'm going to trust them again!

The next morning while I was in the hotel business center, on hold with the Amex Travel supervisor, I overheard the hotel reservation manager clearly say, in English, that they do not interface with the Orbitz system. When the Amex Travel supervisor came back on the line with me, she told me "... I don't know why the hotel lost the reservation". Other Amex Travel supervisors tried to blame the error on the hotel with stereotypical assumptions saying "small hotels lose FAXes". THIS IS A LARGE HOTEL. Upon trying to get compensation above the charges refunded, I've gotten the run around by agents that don't seem to really understand English, A FAX number to a Customer Service Analyst Unit that apparently was read by an automated search engine that misinterpreted it as a dispute against the hotel under my other Amex SkyMiles card that wasn't involved.

The hotel was more than charming and accommodating. Hotel Real de Minas Tradicional, QRO, MX - beautiful place !! - who repeatedly made efforts to find rooms for the 5 nights for me and my cousin traveling with me... so I have no dispute against them. I think it is shameful that a 3rd party was used for my reservation and that they cannot properly process my request or comprehend the concept of compensation above and beyond the $100 travel voucher (for future use) offered. They think can make up for the trauma we experienced in a foreign country, at night with no reservations to be found. Two $500 Amex gift cards for myself and cousin is the level of compensation I am looking for.

AMEX really dropped the ball. Many other companies don't require you to prepay, but AMEX Travel does. I booked my hotel stay through AMEX Travel because I had faith in their lowest rate guarantee. Unfortunately, after I booked my hotel they decided to change the terms of their lowest rate guarantee and refused to honor a lower rate from the hotel's own website. They stated they no longer price match all-inclusive hotels. So now I missed out on a sale because AMEX already had my money and refused to honor the terms of our agreement because they changed the terms after taking my money. Disgusting.

Have been a long term AMEX customer and accumulated a lot of points. For my honeymoon, we decided to cash on the points, and I tried to book flights to Belize on AMEX travel's very glitchy system. At one point it sent me back to the beginning to start over. Finally, it worked, the flights were booked, but as I tried to pay with points there was another system error and a message saying I had to call AMEX. The way AMEX pay with points works is that they charge your credit card the full amount and then later refund it and remove their points; therefore, it's very dangerous when things go wrong. They charge your card first and foremost.

I called in after receiving the message (and having spent 45 frustrating minutes on their glitchy site) and spoke with an agent who told me his computer was down. He rebooted, and it still didn't work, and after being on the phone with him for 30 minutes, he informed me the whole system was down for all employees and I needed to call back the next day. I told him just to cancel my flights. This was the week of my wedding and I wasn't going to be able to call back at their convenience the following day. He apologized profusely and told me he canceled the flights. By federal law airlines have to cancel flights for free within 24 hours of booking.

I logged back in several days later and saw that I had, indeed, been charged for the 180,000 points. When I called AMEX, the agent told me the flight had been booked twice, four minutes apart, due to a glitch in their system. The agent I spoke with the night of the booking had only seen one of the flight bookings and therefore only canceled one. They spoke with the airline who refused to cancel/refund the booking, since it was an AMEX error, not an American Airlines error. And then when I pushed back, the AMEX agent told me she would look into it and try to get a favorable resolution. Several days later they sent me an email saying they were not going to resolve the situation and that it was not their fault that their own system booked the flights twice. Now there is an $1800 charge on my Amex Platinum that I am supposed to pay this month, all caused by AMEX Travel's glitchy website and agents.

After being with Green Dot for years and them fighting me in 260 unauthorized transactions, I have been searching for something better. I called Bluebird because the reviews are 5 stars on every review. One guy called to dispute a 60 charge and they put it back in his account while he was on the phone. They should look at the customer's history. I've never had an issue and then back to back and they cost me everything, my apartment and everything in it. I called Bluebird to ask questions and they are so nice, they are knowledgeable and they were appalled at all the transactions, especially 188 in one day. Take your business there. He also assured me that they will never block your purchases without contacting you. I didn't know Green Dot did that. I can't take the chance that I get to a register and my card is blocked and I certainly can't wait for weeks for a refund check.

I used AMEX Platinum Department to make a pre-cruise hotel reservation in November 2014 and cancelled the reservation that I re-booked with them. In April I again cancelled the reservation to accommodate my son's request to book with them. AMEX Travel Department failed to cancel any of the reservations and failed to notify me that they had not booked the reservations. The hotel charged my account for 3 reservations that they claimed I had not cancelled. AMEX Travel Department refused to accept the responsibility for the failure to cancel the reservation(s) and insisted it was my mistake and my responsibility despite my having emails with 2 cancellation reference numbers.

I have tried since May 2015 to dispute, but they denied and insisted I must pay the full charge. I would strongly caution anyone about using AMEX Travel services and am cancelling the American Express Platinum Card I have had since 1996. I have never experience the level of incompetence and lack of accountability for poor service. I only regret that I had not reviewed AMEX Travel complaints prior to making the reservations.

Booked a travel package/flight early this year for myself and my ex boyfriend. Boyfriend had some medical issues, needed surgery around the time of the trip so I called AMEX travel to determine my options surrounding transferring the ticket to someone else. I called 3 times, spoke with 3 different agents about a week before the trip to determine the options, how to proceed BEFORE cancelling the flight. The final suggestion, and the one that was easiest for me, was to send the request to cancel the flight to the airlines (flight was $637, cancel fee was $115, so refund amount was $522), which I did. I purchased a new ticket for another companion to go. I spoke with the airline the day of the departure as I hadn't received any confirmation that they received the request, they confirmed they received my request and I was told it takes several weeks for processing, if I don't hear back to follow up.

Over a month later of not hearing anything, I called AMEX to get the insurance plan refund squared away, and inquired about the flight refund. I was told to call the airline. I called the airline (Copa Air), waited an hour only to be told to call Amex Travel. I called back to Amex travel only to be told to call the airline. I spoke with an Amex Travel supervisor, Jim, who would look into it - I had to go to funeral and couldn't stay on the line. Jim called me back a few days later, left me a muffled voicemail which I couldn't understand but figured he was giving me good news as just around that same day I had received the refund of the insurance plan as requested.

3 weeks later I still didn't have the flight refund so I called AMEX and spoke with Jim, who proceeded to tell me that I needed to furnish medical documentation (that was the info he left me on the call 3 weeks earlier - which was completely my fault, I should have called him back if I couldn't understand what he said on the message. I agree with this point, I just ASSUMED it was resolved considering I had received the travel insurance refund. Poor assumption). I explained that I was not informed that I needed to provide medical documentation during any of the 3 calls I had made prior to cancelling the flight. I asked Jim to pull the calls and confirm that AMEX never told me to submit medical documentation when explaining to me how to request a refund. Jim informed me he would pull the call, that it takes a couple days and would follow up.

It's been two weeks, I have not heard from Jim. I called and spoke with another supervisor who didn't see a call pulled and would pass it on to Jim to follow up. To date, I paid over $600 for this ticket in May 2015, didn't use the flight, cancelled it per how AMEX instructed to receive a refund (minus processing fees) and have not received a refund, a flight voucher, nothing. This is stealing. It is not my problem their employees don't know their own policies and are obligated to refund my flight. I won't drop this, but recommend not using AMEX travel or purchasing a Copa flight.

My wife and I booked a return flight from Victoria to Manila via Vancouver Airport (YVR). My wife's booking coming back is a connecting flight but on my flight they booked Vancouver to Victoria on the next night which is not a connecting flight. AMEX will not budge on the mistake and now want $169 extra to book the Vancouver to Victoria flight on the proper date. Their travel services are awful. I have informed them that we will never book through AMEX travel services again and I am so mad. I will return the AMEX cards to Scotia. What ever happened to customer service? No wonder AMEX is losing customers with service like this.

Yesterday I called to inquire about using my points towards a plane ticket to Paris. The gal helping me quoted me prices for first class, and told me how much my points would bring off the total. I checked the prices online with Delta, and they were in line with Delta prices. Spoke with husband that night, and we decided to purchase today. I call back today and I am informed that I would save 39$ if I went online and booked, but booking online was going to be a 10$ charge as well. (I'm thinking, what the heck for?) I explain that my husband already has his ticket, and I want to be sure I'm on the same flight. He says he can walk me through it.

We get to the page with prices, and they are economy, which were the same as Delta economy. But when I change the search to 1st class, they are $2500-$3000 MORE than Delta. What the heck? I ask what the problem is, and explain that the gal I spoke with yesterday quoted me the same prices as Delta.com. He has no explanation and says he's sorry... then silence. I finally say I would like to speak to someone else. He gives me the travel rewards department, and she says to me, "We will allow you this one time, ONE TIME instance for the life of the account, to book with Delta, and we will credit you back your points on your statement." Her tone was unfriendly, as though I was the one with the problem. All I can think is, on what planet does she think it's right to not only charge a fee to book a reservation when NO ONE ELSE charges a fee to book a reservation, and on top of it, add a 2500$ extra charge to the ticket?

I have been an AMEX customer for 30 some odd years. I have always liked the services they offer, but this is the biggest turnoff since I was 20 something and my bank told me they were going to start charging a fee to customers for each deposit. I left them, of course. I will never use their Travel booking again, and use the points for something else, if I don't leave them all together.

My company enforce me to go through American Express Travel. I was on hold for 30 min. because agent asked me to hold until next service agent is available for booking international flight. After 30 min. I was told to leave a message or send email. Then why was I asked to hold for 30 min, wasting my time?

I always book flights through the airlines websites. This time I decided to hook through American Express Travel. Big mistake. Everything seemed fine, had my confirmation and all was set. Went to check in online the day before and I had no seats, even though seats were clearly printed on my confirmation. Amex told me that no airlines really reserve you a seat, it's just requested and they try but it is United Airlines' fault. Booked this 5 months before the trip and now have middle seats. Would never use them again. Don't do it. You'll be sorry.

We book a direct flight at 8:40 am. When we got to airport it said our fight was canceled. Got put on other flight at 1:30. So we called Amex and complained and asked for a better flight cost because now it was not a direct flight They called United and they said they were refunding cost. We didn't want to cancel our tickets, so we never said "cancel tickets." So when we got to go on flight at 1:30 they said Amex canceled the tickets and Amex say United canceled. So meantime we missed that flight. They booked on another flight at 6:30. And now they keep blaming each other. People do get your tickets through Amex. They won't help if something goes wrong.

I recently booked an airline ticket through AmEx travel only to have the flight cancelled 48 hours before my departure date. They did nothing except offer a full refund. They didn't even offer to help rebook a flight for me. When they called me back, the caller ID was from Orbitz. What happened to the once highly esteemed American Express? Why bother with them anymore if they don't offer good customer service?

I recently booked two suites in Myrtle Beach through American Express. My wife and I were traveling with our children and my parents. Dad has Alzheimer's and so travel is a particular challenge. Upon calling the hotel to confirm late arrival, they advised they had only 1 room reserved and had no other availability. The hotel suggested I call Orbitz to straighten things out. What? Orbitz? I booked through Amex. I called American Express and was passed from person to person, having to be authenticated repeatedly. I explained the situation again and again.

After more than an hour, we called again to be told that **, a supervisor was handling this and that he was very good at his job. After waiting again we called **, who told us the hotel had reserved only one room and that there were no other rooms available. No kidding. I repeated to ** the names of alternative hotels from the Amex (apparently Orbitz) website that I had given the first agent we spoke with. ** booked 3 rooms by typing my information into the Amex website while I dictated. The cost was 3 times our original cost and ** indicated he could do nothing to defray the cost despite the mistake. Incredible... Remind me why I use American Express to book travel and pay a $450 annual card fee.

I cancelled my card after being treated so poorly by American Express Travel and then American Express itself. I always received really good service from AmEx and have used that card almost exclusively since I was very young, but I recently planned a trip through their travel agency and had a terrible experience. American Express Travel planned our tickets through Alaska Airlines but did not tell us we weren't actually flying on Alaska Air but on American Airlines, so we went to the wrong terminal and missed our flight. They did nothing to help us get on a later flight or pay for overnight expenses we incurred because of missing our flight.

On our way back we missed our flight due to confusing ticket information, and once again American Express Travel and Alaska Air did nothing but charge us $1,600 for new tickets and change fees. Both have said they are not responsible for the extra charges and they will not waive them, so I cancelled my Amex and will never fly Alaska Air. American Express Travel will NOT help you if you get in a bind and ended up charging us twice for the same trip. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone.

I was looking to book just a hotel room, and thought perhaps I could use the points on my AmEx card that I've had 15 years.... no luck. I need many more points than I had. So I booked a room, the reservation was not able to be cancelled primarily because AMEX promises "low price guarantee." Several weeks later, when checking the hotel's web site for ground transport on a lark, I check the price. Much cheaper, more than $300 saved in the 5 day stay. So I submit the claim to AMEX for reimbursement. Their response: You cannot make a claim AFTER the reservation is no longer able to be cancelled. But you can't make a FLIPPING reservation on their site that IS ok to cancel. The Low Price Guarantee is a lie. Wish I had found these 200 complaints before I chose their site to book a room. Count me educated. NEVER GOING BACK EVER.

Tried redeeming points before closing account and weeks later I inquired as to what happened to the gift card. American express said "sorry we can't redeem your points cause the account is closed"....all this after I did what customer service told me to do in order to redeem them, what a scam.

Mar. 3, '15 I requested a pin number replacement for my gold card Delta SkyMiles card. What would seem to be a simple straightforward request was a hour of total frustration and futility. After going through 6 reps and several GLOBAL CALL centers, computer generated menus and endless repeats, I reached the end of the line. Customer service was abysmal, the simple request was an exercise in bureaucratic futility and frustration. Why would anyone use American Express -- after this experience - I don't know!

My wife and I just arrived into Lima, Peru, expecting to transfer to a flight on LAN to Buenos Aires only to learn that Amex Travel received notice that the flight had been changed to tomorrow. Amex failed to advise my wife and me of this. I therefore sit in a fairly sleazy airport hotel (but it could be worse). I waited ten minutes to reach the first person at Amex Travel. When she couldn't figure out what was wrong, she transferred me to Jacob, Badge number: **, for whom I waited another 10 minutes.

He acknowledged the error made by Amex. He offered to reimburse my wife and me for the lowest rate room at the Ramada Inn at the airport. He said he'd reimburse me for taxi fare. He could NOT reach the hotel to make us a reservation. He did NOT know that it is an easy walk, and so no taxis are necessary. Jacob said he could not pay for the night that I will almost certainly have to pay for in Buenos Aires, where we should have been arriving a few hours from now. Jacob also could do nothing to get us on a later LAN flight to Buenos Aires.

I've had other trouble with Amex. For comic relief, dig this: I have a PhD that appears on my Amex Credit card. All of my airplane tickets come with the last name, i.e. **, written like this, **phd. So far, that hasn't caused any troubles for my travel but I've been afraid that it could and Amex has done nothing to change this. I pay several hundred dollars a year for their Platinum service. I will update you if I have a better experience with them, but my input, for now, is to stay away from Amex Travel.

This Platinum, AMEX, Delta credit card that I got in the mail that unknown to me, I automatically, but unfortunately for me, qualified for (regardless of the fact that I signed up for the Gold Card Deal, 55 thousand mile - no fee, first year) has been the biggest disappointment on every level it could be for me! If any of you have been a victim of this credit fraud card, I think it's time for a class action. They intentionally set you up for your credit to fall from day one with a fee of 195.00.

I'm new with AE and decided to go through them since they do have an excellent reputation I thought. I do a lot of traveling and I tend to use Virgin, JetBlue and Delta..... I am picky with my airline. When I booked my flight to Vancouver from LAX my itinerary before purchasing showed I would be flying Air Canada and returning on Delta Airline.... I was paying more to avoid United airline which I refuse to fly. When I looked at my confirmation email I noticed yes I did purchase my ticket with Air Canada and Delta but was outsource from Air Canada to China United Express in little writing under the Canada symbol. The same with Delta was changed to Skywest. What... I did not want this.

SO the bottom line it is misleading and can't believe American Express does this to their customer. I would NEVER have booked my flight if I would have know upfront I would be getting another airline. Shame on you American Express... I booked one night hotel with AE... I'm scare to see what it's going to be like. I am waiting for AE representative to call me back because I have no idea what Terminal I need to go to. I hope he calls me back... I can't find China United Express at LAX....

After being hounded for weeks by an Amex representative, I was eventually persuaded to get an Amex Business Gold credit card for my nonprofit. I told the Amex rep upfront that we have no money and need a credit card that allows us to pay for things slowly over time and yet she insisted this Business Gold Card was the card for me. Although the rep spent an hour taking down my information (my first bill wasn't even mailed to me because she got the address wrong despite 3 rounds of correcting her), she NEVER ONCE mentioned that this Business Gold Card was actually a charge card, not a credit card. I never would have signed up for a charge card. And yet, there was no mention of it, nor is there any indication of it on the card itself.

In a world of credit cards, I think it was highly unethical to let me assume I was enrolling in a credit card... only to discover (having charging all our moving expenses on it) that it's a charge card. While we could have paid down the balance on a credit card, we can't afford to pay the charge card. This is a gross misrepresentation and an abuse of non-money-savvy consumers like me, who are just trying to run small nonprofits. Shame on you Amex.

American Express Travel Company Profile