American Express Travel

American Express Travel

3.7/5 (479 ratings)

About American Express Travel

American Express Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

They have the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Yesterday I called and tried to change 2 tickets from Bogotá to Barcelona that my parents could not make because my grandma passed away the same day. Despite the fact that I informed them about the situation, I was on the phone for 3h yesterday, and no one helped change or cancel the tickets. They connected me to different people and had me waiting for 2.5 out of the 3h. Since I don´t live in the US, those calls costed me 100euros, plus the 3000euros I lost on the tickets. I am sure they test your patience until you hang up, so they don't have to take many calls or help anyone. I hope everyone gets fired from that department because they definitely are not able to do anything.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

Very tedious and long wait when dealing with customer service reps on the phone to just make a flight change. Once I got someone in the phone to help it took her over an hour to just make two simple flights changes. Keep this in mind when making a reservation.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I had a horrible experience with them. Got the Platinum card to make my travels easier. Well it’s worse now. I booked after midnight using my points so the system booked the next night. I had to double book at the hotel so I can sleep with my family at 2:30 am. They can easily arrange it with the hotel and swap the reservations but they didn’t. Instead they charged me twice. What kind of customer service is that? Very poor performance. So much for my Platinum membership. Local pop and mom bank or credit card company can do better. Really disappointed. Not worth the hype.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

Amex travel service used to be a true benefit. Convenient. Rewarding. Fair. Effective. Efficient. Today - the service is so lacking it’s truly third world. It’s slow. It’s entrapment. It’s laborious. It’s ambiguous. Today I had to call and speak to 4 different people because of an incredible communication gap. The only time I understood and representative was when I tried to use the credit card rep. Once I was transferred into the abyss of travel service the hell began once again. Amex sold out. I’m sure some pencil neck bean counter made an assessment and convinced powers there was more $ to be gained by diminishing this service. I get it. But Amex - be forthright- you don’t offer that should be called “platinum” or “world class.” Change the name or quit the game.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Oh jeez, please do not use Amex Travel. If you’re reading this, it is probably too late. Worst customer service ever. I’ve been a Platinum member for 20+ years and for the first time I’m considering downgrading. It’s not worth the aggravation. I have travel credits that are hardly usable. You’ll end up stuck with them. They have their own fares and they will always be higher than the airline the second time around. Once you have a credit with them, you’re stuck until you use those credits. You will always need to call an 800 number, spend hours on the phone and end up with someone overseas who hardly speaks English. They’ll refuse to transfer you to any supervisor and instead will keep you on hold until the call gets mysteriously dropped. I can’t believe Amex is appending its reputation with this kind of service. If you can use your credit, use them and NEVER EVER use Amex Travel again. You’ve been warned.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

Customer service is worst. Every customer service representative person will give you different answers and they are so rude, lazy. Stay away from their travel credit scheme because it’s just a biggest scam ever. Whole travel credit is not useable as it have so many terms and conditions you will not believe which are not disclosed to start with and when you try to use it will be not allowed.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

Totally not responsive to requests. You never get to speak to the same agent twice. You leave messages and they do not return calls. No followup on requests for information. Once you are on board with them the cruise line will not speak with you directly. Your AMEX points are discounted so they are not worth the effort of using them rather than a real travel agency or else make your booking direct with the cruise line.

Original review: July 30, 2022

Terribly upset with AmEx Travel policies, I cancelled international tickets for January 2021 trip due to Omicron surge and credit worth $4850 are due. These credits do not show up anywhere in the Travel portal!. After calling them I am told that YES they are there. But this is the way you have to call us to claim/rebook your tickets by PHONE only. When requested my next trip to book against this credit, they said NO FLIGHTS ARE available on the dates for the destination, An Internationally known Capital Delhi! Rather, I have to go to Bombay (1200 km away) to claim my credit before they expire in September. AmEx is making fool of customers and easily getting away behind their big beautiful reputation. After this experience, I will NEVER EVER TRUST AMEx book any air/hotel trip with AmEx Travel. I am done with them. The End. So disappointed with their travel service, I can't believe AmEx like company can do this kind of silly cheap tricks.

Original review: July 29, 2022

For being a "premium service,' AMEX Travel is a joke. If you have a flight credit you almost always have to call to rebook, and they have their own pricing system that doesn't match AMEX Travel's own prices, or the Airlines price (and of course is always more expensive). In general, AMEX Travel fares are more expensive than actual fares, and point redemption only 1:1, compared to Chase which gives you a better deal.

The Travel portal UI is clunky, confusing, agents always move you from rep to rep/org to org. Especially after Covid I'm not sure how AMEX Travel hasn't caught up to industry standards for rebooking flights. For now on I'm only keeping my Platinum card for perks, but using my Chase Sapphire for purchases because point redemption is better and customer service is much simpler. Get it together AMEX, the hours I've wasted on the phone to make changes that take seconds on other platforms is inexcusable, especially when they're charging you more for the fares.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I purchased a flight ticket from Stockholm to Athens through the Amex Travel website but there was no option to buy a checked bag prior to paying for the flight ticket total. I assumed I can just go to the Airline official website to buy the check bag later. After I purchased the ticket on the Amex Travel website. I go to the Norwegian airline website in attempt to buy an extra baggage but there's no such option either. The airline website keeps referring me back to the travel agency (in this case, it's Amex Travel). But when I contacted Amex Travel they referred me back to the airline to add the checked baggage. And I have to call the airline at their Central Europe Time, Which is midnight for me.

So I called the airline customer service line (international call so I have to pay that international phone charge) after 30 minutes of wait time, the airline staff hangs up on me when the line is connected. I called again and another 30 mins of wait time later I get connected and the person is confirming that the action has to be done from Amex and they can't even add the bag from their end. In my case, both Amex Travel and the Airline sucks balls and I'm the one being kicked around like a soccer. I only wanted to buy a checked bag ahead of check in time. But after 6 Amex travel phone calls and 2 international phone calls to the airline, NO SOLUTION!!!

American Express Travel Company Information