American Express Travel

American Express Travel

3.8/5 (407 ratings)

About American Express Travel

American Express Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: May 23, 2022

My experience with AMEX Travel has been horrendous from the first interaction right up to today. Their flight booking is expensive and it takes literally hours to do anything with their agents. Getting a receipt for a flight change took me days of effort and they were only able to send me a screenshot after hours on the phone with them. Their hotel booking portal had a $200 credit for booking a hotel with them. I booked a $100 skanky hotel for $270 because of the credit. They initially said everything was good and to expect my credit in 4 weeks. When I checked back 6 weeks later the hotel was suddenly not in the program and was ineligible for the credit. Total and complete scam. The AMEX card is just a really expensive way to access airport lounges. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: May 19, 2022

We purchased travel insurance through American Express thinking like all American Express products it would be good. Wrong! Customer service was the absolute worse, certainly not what we have been accustomed to. Took forever in getting a simple update, ask for a supervisor, call back maybe in 48 hours. They have every loophole to avoid paying on a claim. Do your research to make sure you are truly covered and avoid this company and this product!

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Where do I begin? Wait is too long, some customer service agents hang up on me for the most routine requests. Using AMEX travel credit is like pulling teeth nowadays, why can't AMEX have a travel portal where we can skip the phone like most other airline 3rd party sites? I will probably not renew my membership as the customer service is beyond awful, and the reason I got this card was because of how often I travel. Will switch to the Chase Sapphire Preferred card pending any resolution to this complaint.

Original review: May 15, 2022

I feel exhausted, disrespected, and defeated. I have been a member of Amex Platinum for 35+ years; this is the first time I have ever used it for travel; I will never use it again. Every comment that they have here is accurate. And for the five stars reviewers, you will get your turn unless you are a fake Amex customer.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Wow!! Never book flight with American Express.. Flight arrival got changed by the airlines so I needed to make a change of flights. Called multiple times only to be transferred from one person to the the next all asking for the same information. When I finally got someone who seemed to know what they where doing after explaining what I needed and giving them all the same info that I just gave to the previous representative they ask for your phone number in case the call drops put you on hold then disconnect the line after about 10 minutes. Zero call back!! Last time I will ever book a call with them. Two hours later and I'm still calling back trying to find a resolution.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I booked a flight with points in September of last year and was issued a credit with American Airlines. I cannot book through American and so I have to use Amex travel. I have now been on the phone for an hour and 20 minutes to get one flight booked. You cannot help but feel that this is done intentionally to dissuade you from using your credits. For such a large company feels like a pretty cheap thing to do.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I bought a ticket through AmEx online travel service and I wish I had read the reviews here before I did that. The reviews here are spot on. The service is beyond bad if something needs to be done to the reservation. You get customer service people in Manila who can't help and then transfer you to Service Excellence people for a 1.5 hour hold and then they promise a solution in 10 minutes and then after another hour hold, they don't help. Oh, and AmEx disavows the online travel, so AmEx can't help. This service is an embarrassment to the AmEx brand. Don't use it. I know I won't be ever again.

Original review: April 24, 2022

We booked a family vacation through the AMEX platinum app. The travel partner AMEX uses (Expedia) didn’t finalize our upgraded seats for an 8.5 hour flight. As a result, my two minor boys were forced to sit with strangers. We paid extra to have Delta Comfort. I also picked all four seats in the same row. We learned 24 hours before the flight our sons' tickets were assigned at the gate! AMEX travel accused us of doing something wrong- despite me arguing we have our assigned seats on the AMEX travel app. Then they said it was Delta’s fault! Delta representatives said AMEX screwed up and should make it right. Don’t use their travel app, the points are not worth the hassle.

Original review: April 22, 2022

I booked a round trip ticket via Amex travel in Jan for Feb22, 2022 -March 5, 2022 roundtrip from Newark (USA) to Mumbai (India). It was booked on United. I flew into Mumbai fine. However due to the Russia war and airspace closure, my return flight on United was cancelled and I was offered alternate no cost flight change on Amex travel. Amex travel however booked me on an alternate flight 2 days later. It was not non stop, it was Mumbai- London; London-EWR on British Airways partnering United. I spent hours on the phone calling US Amex travel to confirm the booking for March 7th and had a confirmation email with seat number etc and had later confirmed that on another call with them.

When I went to the airport to check in, at the airport, I was told my reservation was showing as cancelled in the system. My seat was sold to someone else!!! At no point had the airline or Amex travel informed me of anything like that. How could they just cancel my reservation without my knowledge and sell my seat to someone else. I was told to call Amex-travel - my agent by the British Airways person on the check-in counter as the flight was full. It took 1-2 hrs to get someone on the phone in the middle of the night and they said they were not sure what happened and I should check with United. They could not reach United representative on the phone. They were not willing to take any responsibility on my booking. I had to make a whole new booking on another airlines (didn't do it on Amex travel this time) for a 1 way ticket to get back for which I paid 3 times the price on March 9th.

I didn't get a refund on my original ticket on the return portion, nor are covering any costs which were incurred purely by their mismanagement of my 2nd booking. For no fault of mine, not only was my trip extended by 5-6 days (days lost at work), I was on international calls with Amex travel trying to find resolutions and spent over 10 hrs or more as their hold times each time you call are crazy, and the additional costs to stay and purchase a whole new ticket. I had purchased the original ticket along with Travel insurance via Amex but that too is a fraud and is not picking a penny and denying my claim.

I would think during a pandemic and the world travel being so messed up, a company as solid as American Express Travel is most trusted to ensure smooth travel and proper responsibility. But this is just the opposite. You will speak to 1 representative and then another and the customer satisfaction team, but nobody can do anything and not even reimburse you for ticketing mishaps they have made. Very upset. :(

Original review: April 21, 2022

I checked into a hotel using the American Express Travel Service. I went to the front desk to check-in. Amex charged me $297 for 2 nights. The hotel had not received notice of the payment and charged me $222 for the room. I would have received the same room regardless of payor. The room smelled of urine. I had it cleaned. It cleaned but the urine smell stayed in my nose. No coffee or tea were provided for the equipment in the room and the internet was unsecure. I guess this was standard for all rooms. I called Amex Travel concerning the charge issue. I was told the $222 charge would be dropped but that I would be charged the $297. My advice is to check other websites before booking with Amex Travel. I did not do it, because I was very impressed and awed with the other services provided by American Express.

American Express Travel Company Information