347 Congress Street, Boston, MA

2.0/5 (118 ratings)

About Grand Circle Travel

Grand Circle Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Grand Circle Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Grand Circle Travel?

Original review: May 17, 2022

We have traveled with Grand Circle Travel 5 times in the past and never had an issue. We booked a tour in July 2020 for March 2021 and paid in full. They canceled the tour and said if we left in our the books for the same time the following year we would not be charged extra so we did. We got a bill November 11th for another $900. Not thinking I paid it. When I realized I should not have been charged I called and was told we should not have been billed that amount and a refund would arrive in about 30 days. So I waited. Instead I got an invoice saying we were not due a refund so I called again.

Again I was told we were due the refund and they had put in for it only to once again receive an invoice showing no refund due. So I called again but was told we also were overcharged $100 for travel insurance and $200 for the airline portion of the tour. We were once again assured that a refund would be issued. It has not and now when I call they leave me on hold for over 3 hours a call and do not answer. As they now owe us $1,200 I cannot give up but would like to warn others.

Original review: March 15, 2022

I had a trip planned to Costa Rico in March of 2020. Due to Covid it was cancelled 2 days before the trip. They promised to rebook at another date or a full refund. I choose a full refund. They then said refunds were not an option. I felt pressured to rebook another trip so I rebooked a trip to the Panama Canal for Jan. 2021. Travel was not advised so I cancelled that. Hated to lose my money so booked a trip to Alaska for August 2022 thinking it would be safe to travel by then. Now I have some health issues and don't feel safe to travel. I've tried to call them and waited an hour and a half without anyone answering. Not sure I have any recourse but feel they were dishonest from the first cancellation.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I had a trip booked for June 2022 which I had to cancel due to poor health. I spoke to Patrick at the Overseas Adventure Travel arm of Grand Circle Travel and he assured me that after deducting a $300 cancelation fee, I would get the remaining refund of $1149.00 credited to my credit card within 30 days. That would have been on 1/22/2022. No Refund to date (2/4/2022). I have written via email twice to their support email account - no response. I have spent over 5 hours on hold without making contact. No refund, no communication except for a huge thick catalogue of future tour options. Why would I consider that? Anyway, just a cautionary tale for those thinking of booking a trip with either company. I sure wouldn't.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I realize this is a tough time for everyone in the travel business and it is a stressful time for all. However, I am very disappointed in the cancellation policy. We are scheduled to go to Ireland on 10/1. CDC and State Department have put Ireland on a red alert (do not travel) yet the tour is going on. As I understand from your customer service agents, options to cancel are limited. We just want a full-refund or price protection for the future trip. We have reluctantly booked a trip for 9 May 2022. However, I can't believe that they want to charge a loyal customer $100 change fee and changes in airfare. My mother has travelled with GCT many times. Isn't our loyalty worth this small amount of money?

Original review: July 29, 2021

On 7/23/2021 I booked a cruise with Grand Circle Travel (aka Overseas Adventure Travel - OAT). At the time of the booking, I was in constant contact with a regional adventure counselor and the reservation process went smoothly (including the transmission of funds for my deposit and for the Travel Protection Plan). The counselor submitted a waiver request for a $100 certificate that is scheduled to expire 9/6/2021 so that it could be applied to the reservation.

For the past 3 days, I have tried to contact OAT for a status update via 3 different phone numbers. Each phone number has a prerecorded message that wait times are up to 2 hours. On 7/28/2021, I waited on hold for over 2 hours before giving up. On 7/29/2021, I waited on hold for over 3 hours before giving up. I emailed the support department and received a reply that they would respond in 8 - 10 business days. At this point, I am most likely going to cancel my reservation and request a full refund, which is allowable under the Travel Protection Plan.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Due to COVID we had to move our trip. Then after a year, we wanted our money back. They refused to refund our money. They told us to contact Alliance for a refund. We did. Alliance said to call Grand Circle. Finally I read some of these complaints and did file with the suggestions made where other people received refunds. Will keep updating this site. I will never travel with them again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

My trip was rescheduled for 2021. I called Grand Circle and asked about travel insurance for the rescheduled trip. I was sold the insurance for $545. Then I figured out I already had the insurance and was sold it a second time. I contacted Grand Circle and a refund was approved on July 20th. I was told it would take 30 days for the refund. I called after 30 days and was informed it would take 60 days. After 60 days I called and was told it would take 90 days to refund. Then I called again - this time it was 90 work days. I am currently at over 100 work days and no refund. I sincerely question the financial viability of the company.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

A group of seniors, of which I am included, reserved a river cruise on December 30, 2019. We placed a $500 deposit and $499 Allianz insurance policy. We were told we could cancel for any reason. I was paying for 2 friends to accompany me as I suffer from Stage 4 lung cancer. Over the next 3 months, one friend suffered a heart attack with a subsequent unstable heart condition and the other friend suffered an orthopedic injury that her doctor advised would make walking very uncertain.

The pandemic hit soon after and my oncologist advised that I not travel overseas due to my compromised immune system. We finally agreed to cancel or reservations on April 15th. We called Grand Circle Travel and were advised to file a claim in order to get a refund less a service fee. I asked about the insurance and was told that I must file a claim for all 3 of us. I followed what I was told and the disastrous results followed. Both friends received a $300 refund from GCT and I received a $300 voucher! After vigorous fighting, I received my $300 refund in July. However, I was in constant communication with Allianz insurance.

After reviewing my situation with all medical documentation, they finally told me that although I had filed a claim, they would reimburse me $499 per person, to my credit card, as my situation warranted this money as I was "INCORRECTLY ADVISED" by GCT to even file a claim! You see, by filing a claim, that makes you ineligible to retrieve your insurance premiums!

When a month went by and I did not receive the $1497 refund, I contacted GCT who informed me that I would NOT receive the money as I had filed the claim! I called back the manager at Allianz who told me that they had in fact refunded GCT the $499 per person to be refunded to me the month prior! I called back GCT who still refused to return the monies back to me standing on principle that I had filed a claim! When I told them that THEY told me to file the claim and had I been properly informed that by doing so, I would lose my insurance premiums, they began double-talking and recanting.

Bottom line, they were unethically withholding my refund from Allianz---and still do so to this day! A manager got on the line with me and promised to get back to me within days. I have yet to hear a word!! This company is despicable, deceptive, unethical and the worst travel experience I have ever dealt with! It is most likely the last travel experience I will ever have so I strongly advise everyone NOT to use them for your dream vacation as they are only interested in stealing your dreams! I have been lied to, conned and swindled. Please don't let this happen to you!

Resolution response: July 17, 2020

Earlier I wrote a review about GCT and how after two months I still had not received a refund for a cancelled trip. I was notified by GCT on July 2nd the refund was being credited to my credit card. This after the State Attorney General's Office and State Insurance commission contacted them. I was unhappy with the delay, however GCT and OAT trips have been great trips, especially OAT rank quite high in our many trips. Up until the fight to get a refund, my wife and I have been happy with the company and when things settle down would recommend them for a great travel experience.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I have been trying for 2 months to get a refund for a trip GCT cancelled and have been stonewalled. My wife and I are 11 time travelers with GCT/OAT. We prepaid $12,000 for a May 2020 river cruise. We received notice on April 2, 2020 from Allianze Insurance CO. that GCT would give us a refund for the policy. In addition the GCT website for our account showed we were due a refund for the trip. That was removed and now shows a reservation for a trip in June 2021 which we did not ask for. I recommend everyone with a denied refund request to contact the Federal Trade Commission, your state insurance commission and your state attorney general. Their websites make it easy to file a complaint.

Original review: June 10, 2020

My friend and I contacted by phone Grand Circle Travel, in Boston in early February stating we did not feel comfortable traveling to Europe in mid April and were requesting a refund. Received a letter from Mr. Irwin, Director of Finance dated 2/24 stating we would receive a refund within 7-10 days for a full refund less applicable fees. So far we have received $849 and 301.75 each with no notation as to what it covered. The trip was $4962 each. I again contacted Mr. Irwin on 4/24 stating we did not receive another payment from them. On 5/1, I received a letter from Harriet Lewis, Vice Chairman and she stated we would be rebooked for May, 2021 and issued a credit of $500.00 towards another trip. We are 79 and 83 and told her we did not wish a trip and do not feel comfortable about traveling outside of the USA. A general e-blast was sent verifying her original letter. I feel this is very irresponsible and our money should be refunded.

Grand Circle Travel Company Information