1.31/5
Based on 91 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

108 Liberty Travel Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 1, 2018

My friend and I went to Liberty Travel to book a Caribbean vacation. We had a general budget and dates, but we were completely open to a location. We went to the LT out of necessity. We had a snow storm and the LT we wanted to go to wasn't feasible. We worked with Julie. And from the second we sat down I knew this was a mistake. Julie was SO anxious to get us out of there. It wasn't a consultation or any review of possible locations. She didn't ask any questions of what we wanted to do or anything. We said we're young, single, career professionals who want to relax and still have a good time. We mentioned we wanted Adults Only and Luxury and All Inclusive. We said maybe Breathless in DR. She said we'd hate it because it was like a Caribbean college party all day and night. She suggested Iberostar Grand Bavaro in DR. We asked her if it was a place recommended for a young, vibrant girls trip, she said yes.

We took her word for it and booked the trip. When we received our confirmations, they were completely wrong, they had the wrong departure date and location, they had the wrong arrival location too. I emailed Julie and she didn't even reply acknowledging her error, she just had someone else send us different documents (which looked like photocopies of photocopies). After the third time trying to get it right, I finally got the right confirmation documents.

When we arrived at the resort we were expecting a luxury experience. Don't get me wrong, the Iberostar Grand is a beautiful resort, but the resort is geared to older couples and weddings. There really weren't any guests under the age of 55. The resort is set up for older couples, from the activities (egg toss and salsa dancing lessons) to the music (it was all easy listening, Kenny G, Barry Manilow inspired). We felt COMPLETELY out of place. Our fun girls trip ended up feeling like we were at a retirement community!

Julie got this ALL THE WAY WRONG!!! She had NO IDEA what she was talking about in terms of vacations or resorts for fun, young, professionals. She is completely incompetent and I was SO DISAPPOINTED that we could have been at a different resort still relaxed but at least had fun, energetic time! Not in bed by 9 because there was literally nothing to do! I will NEVER use LT- Plymouth Meeting again!!!

Original review: May 9, 2018

We dealt with Liberty Travel for my cousin's destination wedding, where over 64 family and friends traveled to Punta Cana, DR to stay at the Melia Caribe Tropical and The Level. We were hoping for a great family vacation to celebrate the happy occasion, but Liberty Travel did their best to make sure that did not happen! Let me first start off by saying communication from the start was lackluster. We were distributed an email communication about how to signup and reserve rooms at the hotel.

The choices for room type were a little ambiguous, so we sent an email to ask a few clarifying questions and there was no response for several days. We finally got a hold of our account representative, by calling... However we were given deceptive and misinformation. He assured the group that the only difference between the two was the room type and location within the resort... But we would all have access to the same amenities and services as the rest of the guests. Obviously this would make sense, as when you have 64 people traveling together for a wedding they would naturally want to spend time, hang out, and eat together... Right? Well imagine our surprise when we get to the hotel and find out this is completely false! Not only were there different restaurants and bars we could book at, but we weren't even allowed to sit at the same pool!

When we told this to the hotel staff they suggested we call the travel agent to straighten everything out. Of course once we got him on the line he did a complete 180 and told us he had never said that. Even if that were true (which it is not), what kind of professional in the business would recommend that this was acceptable accommodations? How does it make any sense that over half the wedding party (more than 30 people booked at the "regular" portion of the resort based on this deceptive information) couldn't even sit at the same pool when traveling thousands of miles to celebrate a wedding??? It was obvious he was just looking to make the sale at whatever the cost and did not care about his clients in the slightest. The fact that he cannot own up to this makes matters even worse. I will be sure to never use Liberty Travel again and beg anyone who will listen to do the same. I promise you that!

Liberty Travel Reviews (Updated May 2018) | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 4, 2018

Completely dissatisfied with Liberty. Agent never asked questions about travel preferences, budget, flight times, etc. Only gave a package price so individual costs were unclear. Later found out they had booked me into a high priced hotel when it was clear there were several other choices. Promised to call about limousine arrangement then went on vacation and I had to pursue this info on my own. Never got back to me about questions re: an additional trip and chose to use another agency.

Complained to corporate headquarters and felt that since I had agreed to package my complaint wasn't valid. Didn't think agent needed to present options to clients and would not answer questions about whether or not agent got commission for bookings she made and that was why she chose such an expensive place. I have always done my own planning and am really sorry I didn't this time. Thought you were supposed to get such wonderful service from travel agents but I should not have been that naive.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Due to injury cancelled my trip and requested a refund. I have called 20 times, filed a complaint with corporate and BBB. I paid cash for my trip and after almost 30 days - nothing. I will never use Liberty Travel again.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I recently visited the Liberty Travel Office on Rte. 3 in Clifton. First let me say that the two women working that day started out with what seemed to be standard sales jargon. During which one of the two utters "WE DON'T DO PAYMENT PLANS OR LAYAWAY." It took every fiber in me NOT to become as ignorant. And curse the woman out. She would've called police behind the cussing out I wanted to give her. But instead my wife and I left without asking for any more information. I assume that because I still had on work clothing. I looked as though I couldn't afford a vacation through Liberty Travel...

This was a very unprofessional statement to make to any potential customer and felt very discriminatory. I made sure I told everyone I knew about the incident. All of which cancelled their vacation plans with Liberty Travel From other offices. I can only speak to the Clifton Location on Rte. 3. By saying the racist attitude towards an **. Should never be accepted from anyone. Liberty Travel seems to have a history of tolerating this... But I absolutely refuse to be treated as if I am not good enough to afford Liberty Travel!!! I will NEVER consider using Liberty Travel for ANY travel needs again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Travel?

Original review: April 16, 2018

If I could give a “0” I would. We booked a cruise, 7 people, 2 rooms. My family got the package they booked and paid for. My husband, daughter and I did not. We called at least 10 times from the cruise ship and Liberty Travel answered once and put me on hold for over 20 minutes. I hung up and called back and from then on, all the days we called, they never once answered. Norwegian told me that even though I had confirmation printed of my package, only the travel agent could correct the mistake. We missed out on 3 premium dining’s, excursions, and 250 minutes of internet that should have been free. My family also missed out on several of these since we didn’t want to pay hundreds to join them. We ended up doing one dinner and internet for $200 that should have been free.

The travel agent contacted Norwegian saying we didn’t have the package we booked. I emailed the confirmation back to Liberty Travel and no one replied until we returned from our vacation. Told us to keep our receipts and that there was nothing they could do and suggested we contact Norwegian. Horrendous experience. At least 5-6 hours spent at guest services during our trip and never got this resolved. Please do not give this place business. They are short staffed and incompetent.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have used Liberty Travel twice, the first time was a wonderful experience the second time not so much. I'm giving them only one star because my travel experience was disrupted due to a mistake made by the travel agent that I used. Now we are all human and we make mistakes so I totally get that but in my opinion when you are trying to make up for a mistake particularly when a vacation has been paid for and you are a big enough company I think the customer service thing to do is to go above and beyond to try and make up for the customer's inconvenience.

So my trip originally was 3 days in London, 4 days in Paris and 4 days in Dubai prepaid with transfers at all locations and supposedly everything confirmed. The plan was to fly to London then take the train to Paris and then fly to Dubai. The itinerary reflected our train leaving London at 9:24am arriving in Paris at 12:47pm. Our transfer from the hotel reflected a pickup of 2 hours before the train departs on March 29th. On March 29th the front desk called our room at 7:09am to let us know that our ride had arrived. We got to the train station by 8:05am in plenty of time for our 9:24am train. We went to print out our tickets and to our surprise the ticket person said "You have missed your train." The printed ticket reflected our train departure at 7:55am not 9:24am.

The 9:24am train was full, no seats available and the next available train that had two seats was not until March 30th at 6:30pm arriving in Paris at 9:45pm. My thought was are you kidding me right now??? They were very nice and tried to figure out another way for us to go that day but there were no viable options other than flying which was just too expensive. So there we were at the train station with all of our luggage trying to figure out what to do next. Not getting to Paris by 12:47pm on March 29th obviously had a domino effect. Our transfer from the train, our hotel night and an Eiffel Tower attraction that was booked for March 30th at 11am. Also taking away a day and a half leaving us with only two days in Paris. In my opinion that is a HUGE disruption to my prepaid vacation plans based on an error that the travel agent made.

Now we are in the middle of the train station looking up availability of a hotel near the train station because we now have to spend another night in London. Found one for $178 dollars that was close. I then called the emergency travel line because of course being in London at 8am in the morning meant that the Chicago Liberty Travel office was not open. Now in my opinion this is all very inconvenient and not pleasurable. So when we finally were able to reach the Chicago office my travel agent was not in yet but her manager was and he said, "We are sorry and we will look at what happened and get back to you." Not at all offering anything but just that he would speak with the agent when she got in and have her get back to me.

So a few hours go by and I have heard nothing so I then reach out again and the agent that I worked with was in so we spoke. She apologized but still offered nothing other than she would ensure that we still had a hotel in Paris and the night that we missed would be credited back, she would ensure that we had a new transfer to pick us up from the train, she would reschedule our Eiffel Tower event. At that point I asked if the extra night in London would be compensated since it was an inconvenience and only occurred due to her mistake. She told me it would have to be approved but save the receipt.

Another hour goes by and she calls to let me know that our hotel is set, she is still waiting on confirmation for our transfer and the Eiffel Tower event that we booked is sold out. She offered another Eiffel Tower event that would require us to climb up two the second level. The event that we booked was a pass the line and take the elevator to the top so the option of only going to the second level and the fact that we would have to climb did not appeal to us so I turned it down. At that point I ASKED, "So what can you do for us to make this up because we are down to only two days in Paris and we are not even able to do the one event that we had you book for us." She said she would get back to me.

10 mins later her manager called me to see what he could offer which was a dinner cruise and a jump on and off bus tour. I told him that was great so he said he would call back to confirm. About an hour later she calls back and said that they were throwing in the jump on and off bus with not a dinner cruise but an hour long boat tour. So we went with that and with the thought that for the two of us traveling that we would get the hotel in Paris and the Eiffel Tower credited back.

Several hours later she calls to say she has not heard back on our transfer from the train to the hotel so that we should just get a cab and that she would credit back that transfer to us. Sure, fine but again, now we have to wait in line for a cab which again is taking away from our time to enjoy because that's why we paid for transfers throughout the entire trip; so just another disappointment and inconvenience.

Okay, we make it to the hotel by about 10:40pm on March 30th and to our surprise they don't have a room for us!! So I immediately call the travel agent because this time with it being so late in Paris it was in the afternoon in Chicago. She talks to the front desk person and they are able to find us a room but he let her know that when she booked our room she asked for double beds but in Paris that really means one larger bed not two beds... Shouldn't a travel agent know that????? Okay the front desk person was able to find us two rooms that he was not going to charge us extra for, thank goodness, but that we would have to change rooms the next day. I'm sorry but again another inconvenience!!

Now, on Sunday I happened to check out the transfer that was supposed to be confirmed to pick us up on Monday, April 2nd to take us to the airport and was not able to find a time and place on the voucher confirming the time of pickup. So I called... Again why am I having to do this because we prepaid and everything should have been confirmed. Well, so glad that I did because the company said they had no record of a pickup at our hotel to the airport and that we should call our travel agent to work things out. Of course, so that’s another call I have to make to the emergency number; yet another inconvenience.

So I call and they were not able to square things away and suggested that we just get our own cab and have our local agency credit us. I sent an email to my agent to say, "Now not only do you need to credit the one night stay, the Eiffel Tower event but now it's the round trip transfer credited back to me and the person I was traveling with along with the London hotel because of all of the inconvenience that we have gone through."

When the refunds went through the agent decided that she would refund me the entire hotel amount for Paris and then split everything else by two. When I inquired she told me "As per our conversation on the phone, we still had to keep one hotel charge since you did still need a hotel night. I refunded the hotel night not used to you since you are the one who paid for the extra night in London. I’m unable refund that Expedia booking since I did not book that for you." The Expedia booking was the extra night in London and we actually never had this conversation on the phone. The conversation we had was the extra night will need to be approved so save the receipt. And for her to make the decision to not split everything by two was not her decision to make.

And yes we did stay the number of nights in total BUT for general purpose the right thing to do since we were sooo inconvenienced is to say, "You know what, we will pick up that extra night in London for you because it was OUR MISTAKE." To me when you are a large company that should just be a given with no questions asked. If I had booked a room at the Ritz Carlton I get that is over the top and would not expect the agency to pick that up. This was the Crown Plaza at $178, only $20 more than the hotel in Paris. All and all not even a lot of money for me but it's more about the prinicple... I'm very disappointed and will not use Liberty Travel again!

Original review: March 4, 2018

So, I'm trying to book a trip and these people have not returned my phone call yet...that was last week. Today I called and I still can't get in touch with anyone. I decided to look at the company's reviews and... Well you know what?! I'll take my business elsewhere. #dodgedabullet!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I had called on Tuesday afternoon and spoke to a woman named Annie from the Fort Lee Linwood Plaza office. I told her we wanted to book a cruise and since we never booked a cruise before we wanted to know the different choices etc. She said she would get on it and call and email me right away with various choices and options. That was around 2:30 pm on Tuesday. No calls or emails on Wednesday and I called on Thursday around 10:30 am. Annie answered the phone and when I said who I was it was like she just remembered as she said, "Oh yes. I was out yesterday" then proceeded. She will put it all together and get back to me.

I told her I wanted to speak to supervisor as I just didn't trust. He was not it so I asked for his boss. The regional manager called later today and basically wanted to go over options on the phone and didn't even apologize for the delay or anything. I knew right then and there this was not the place to book. Stay away as even corporate does not care.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I paid Liberty Travel in July 2017 for a cruise on Carnival Splendor that was leaving on 10-14-17 to 10-22-17. I had a stroke in August 2017. The stroke caused me to have dizzy spells and it has my balance unsteady which causes me to fall. I have to use a walker to walk. I am taking Physical and occupational therapy. I called Carnival to cancel my trip and the rep said "I wish I could do something but you used a travel agent who has to help you." I called the travel agent and told her about my medical issue. She said she could only give me 130.00.

I asked if could I used the rest of my money for later and she said that was all she could do but Carnival could do more than she could. She asked me to wait for a little for the cancellation to roll over before I called Carnival back. I called Carnival back. The representative said the travel agent was the only one that could help me. I talked with the travel agent and she said had she returned 130.00 which was the taxes and I have to talk with Carnival to see what they could do. I called Carnival back for help.

The representative put me on hold. When she came back she said "I apologized but we can't help you." She said she was told my travel agent has to call Carnival to get something done. I told her the travel agent was not working on the weekend. She said "have her call on Monday because the travel agency is the only one that can call us." The travel agent misled me, she made it appear that Carnival could do things to help me and Carnival said they would work with the travel agency. I am not working now due to health issues caused by the stroke and the travel agent kept my money and justified it by blaming everything on Carnival.

As I read the reviews on Carnival's website, I was very impress how Carnival tried to accommodate their clients who paid Carnival for a trip but due to unforeseen circumstances, they were not able to attend. Carnival's Cruise Director gave a sincere apology for the changes made due to the hurricane. Sometimes thing happen that we cant control. I truly regret the fact that a travel agent was used to book my trip instead of booking directly with Carnival. I was very please how Carnival tried to assist their customers while feeling sad that I was sanctioned by the travel agent for having a stroke.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I went to Liberty Travel at Red Lion and the Boulevard in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. A place was recommended to me in Cancun Mexico called Grand Oasis Sens for my honeymoon. It was the worst experience of my life. The food was horrible. The people were rude, the air conditioning in the room was broken for most of the trip, we woke up to no electricity or water 2 or 3 of the mornings saying it would be fixed by 3 pm and wasn't, AND at the end they claimed a TV was broken and made us pay a $2,300 fee. Took our luggage. Said we couldn't leave the resort until it was paid. It was a frightening experience and I was literally afraid for my life. Now dealing with Liberty Travel headquarters that hasn't gotten back to me in about 3 weeks to try to get my money back and dealing with the bank but they are being actually very helpful. NOT Liberty Travel. They are horrible. I would never use them again. I don't even trust them!

Original review: June 1, 2017

As a returning customer of Liberty Travel Agency, on May 31, 2017 my husband and I went to Liberty Travel Agency on Rte. 22 in Union, New Jersey to purchase a cruise to Bahamas via Royal Caribbean International's Anthem of the Sea (offer-detail/3962). To ensure we booked the correct vacation I brought the copy of the offer I printed from Liberty Travel website. When I gave it to the travel agent, she said that this was a typo, Liberty Travel does not offer the vacation package I showed her and if it was OK for her to keep my copy of the offer to show their marketing team.

I was so disappointment to learn that a well-known travel agency would deliberately deceive/lie to their customers! No one try to honor or offer an alternate cruise due to their deception. No one within that location seem to care or maybe they are so use to falsely advertising vacation packages that don't exist (it didn't phase them)! Well I would NEVER recommend using Liberty Travel Agency because you will never know what you will get.

Original review: April 4, 2017

We had gone to Liberty Travel In Newburgh, New York to book a trip to Hawaii. We had decided to use them because the wife of one of my husband's employees works there. While the service was not terrible, I had actually found a much cheaper deal online which they agreed to match. She had informed us of a package called "Escapes" where you can add activities to your trip and get a personalized book with coupons and keepsakes. When we left there she had told us she would contact us and let us know more about the package.

We waited months (we booked and paid in full for the trip 8 months in advance) and did not hear anything. We spoke to her supervisor and she set us up with another agent that would contact us and set up our additional activities. The agent emailed us, we emailed her back with all of the activities we wanted and 3 weeks have gone by and we have not heard anything.

Finally tonight I went on some of the sites and looked at the activities we wanted and found out one of them is already sold out. This is not just a vacation. This is our 25th anniversary and a once in a lifetime trip for us. I will now book all of our activities myself and not be bothered using any more services from Liberty Travel. I don't know why they are reluctant to help us. Did we not make them enough commission? Did we not book an expensive enough hotel? I was nervous about booking a trip of this magnitude myself, in hindsight apparently I am more qualified and knowledgeable than trained travel agents. Lesson learned, never again!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

We have booked five cruises in the last four years. The first two have been completed without a hitch. The third had to be canceled by us. Michelle, our agent took care of the cancellation in 24 hours and we had our deposit back in a few days. Our fourth cruise is in December 2017, the price of our cabin dropped, we called Michelle, she contacted the cruise company and within two days we had the new price, saving us $150.00. Our latest booking is in January 2019. Michelle got us our first choice of cabin with free specialty dining and shore excursion credit. Michelle is an excellent agent for us. She had always made herself available. E-mail and phone calls are returned within 24 hours and we have always felt welcome in the Liberty Travel Office in Amherst New York.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

Liberty Travel in Morris Plains does not care as long as they get their money. They ruined my honeymoon. I asked multiple times to make sure both hotels knew we were on our honeymoon to Hawaii, nope nobody knew, they never actually spoke to the hotel to confirm a honeymoon. My room was ground floor next to the elevator... real romantic, not to mention there was a grill area directly outside our sliding doors, no chance for romance. Manager of this location said she would call and then dodged our phone calls. Absolutely awful, if you book with this company be warned. THEY DO NOT CARE!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

I traveled May & July 2016. My tickets (2 adults) and car rental were booked with Liberty Travel through Sean. I was delighted with my experience is the reason I returned in July and requested Sean to arrange my travel plans to Houston, Texas. I am very sad to learn today that the branch on Cityline Avenue is now closed. I was able to contact Sean (at the Exton branch). He now works from there. I have plans to travel to the Cayman Islands in February, 2017. I'll be contacting Sean in a couple of weeks to make my travel arrangements. I have recommended him to friends and family members who were also quite pleased with his service.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

My wife and I booked an 8 day all inclusive vacation with ** from the Liberty Travel at 269 Madison Avenue in NY. One of her recommendations was the Occidental Grand Aruba. Instead of this being an enjoyable and beautiful vacation, it turned out to be a nightmare and horror show. This hotel by far has to be one of the worst. First when we arrived they put us in a room that had a big hole in the wall (my wife has asthma). When we called the front desk to report this it took 2 1/2 days for someone to repair it. There were rodents and roaches running around the hotel. They sat us outside in the Italian restaurant and it is very windy in Aruba. I requested to be sit inside (there were plenty of empty tables), the waiter had a tremendous attitude problem and just kept telling us that that's where we were reserved at by the concierge in the 9th floor. It took him 45 minutes to accommodate our request and sit us inside.

When I asked for a Budweiser beer in the bar in the Lobby, I was told that they only serve Presidente draft beer which tasted like muddy water. Also when we first arrived we were told by the concierge in the 9th floor that we were entitled to a continental breakfast whichever day we decided. So we requested it for the following day at 9:30am. No one showed up. So I call the front desk only to find out that the supposed Continental breakfast was a pastry and a coffee and I told him to forget it.

We spent $6400.00 dollars on this all inclusive vacation. We were so disappointed and disgusted at the whole thing that my wife checked out 3 days early and had to pay for an additional flight and taxi to come back home. The only reason I stayed the duration was because it would have been even more of an expense. I am writing this review to spare someone else the expense and nightmare that we experienced.

When we got back home and contacted Liberty Travel and requested to be reimbursed for the 3 days that my wife checked out early. We were told that it would take some time and that they were in contact with their rep at the hotel to see what could be done. ** who is a manager at this location has emailed me and spoken to me over the phone and has kept stringing me along week after week with lame excuses. We have been back 1 month and a week and no reimbursement.

I regret us having put our trust in Liberty Travel and will never do so again. They are as much to blame as this horrendous hotel because they recommended it. If you do not want to experience an appalling vacation, do not go through Liberty Travel or this dungeon of a hotel. I had already written a horrible review about a vacation my wife and I took to Aruba and booked through Liberty Travel. Our vacation was a horrific mess. And we spent $6400.00 for airfare and Hotel. On 10/11/2016 someone from Liberty Travel wrote down a couple of lines in response to my review from some supposed customer excellence department stating that they would try and find an amicable solution. My vacation was back in June 2016. They have done nothing since and will not do anything. Once they have your money, they couldn't give a damn how your vacation turned out.

I strongly recommend that anyone contemplating making travel or vacation plans with them either look for another Travel agency or better yet do it on your own. DO NOT PUT ANY TRUST IN LIBERTY TRAVEL. They wrote this on Yelp to deceive and MAKE THE READERS OF MY REVIEW BELIEVE THAT THIS WAS TAKEN CARE OF. As I mentioned they have done nothing and will do nothing.

Update. Some lady by the name of ** who works for Liberty Travel Corporate has the nerve and audacity to say how sorry she is about our horrendous vacation. So she offers me a $300 credit to be used for any future vacation. Liberty Travel must take their customers as brainless morons and think that I fell off of a turnip truck. Liberty Travel has no integrity.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

I have booked with different Liberty Travel employees a few times and have never had an prob.They are really nice and help me with whatever I need. I had a problem with my luggage missing from New York to Germany and the girl who booked it for me was on the phone all day with the airline and the airports and emailing Air Berlin from her cell phone because she off that day but was kind enough to help us anyway. I think it depends on the employee you get. It wasn't her fault my luggage was lost but she helped me anyway and that's why I will always book with them. They're always there to help me.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2016

We too should have read the reviews. I used Liberty in Scranton PA. (Dickson City); what a mistake!! I booked a honeymoon for my daughter. We booked airfare and hotels. When my daughter arrived in San Francisco and was ready to move on to LA she realized two days were missing for hotel stays. We called Liberty and they put ALL the blame on my daughter for not reading everything. Remember now, they booked the flights so they knew how many nights she was staying. They didn't even apologize for the mistake. When I asked why they didn't bring her attention to the missing days their excuse was "we assumed they were staying friend or something". We all know what "assume" means. We have no legal recourse because my daughter did sign the contract trusting they knew what they were doing. If you are thinking about using Liberty, DON'T. If you do check and double check because there will most likely be a MISTAKE.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I sent an inquiry to United for a trip to Las Vegas for a group. Simultaneously, I called Liberty Travel to see if they could arrange the trip on my behalf. Apparently the emailed request was captured by Liberty Travel and is now under their name for my group. I have tried unsuccessfully to contact the person at Liberty who is holding my record at United. At this point I am no longer interested in working with the travel agency and will never work with them again because calling their 267-295-0020 number never gets a return, timely call and they had the audacity to take messages, never call back and close for the evening. The record has to be canceled by them in order for me to move forward with United and there is no one to help. I never received any written confirmation from Liberty on any of the arrangements they indicate they are making on my behalf.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

I just want to share how horrible Liberty Travel is. I booked a cruise 30 months ago with an agent at their Deptford, NJ branch. I used her before and she was great. She left the company and I was assigned Janelle ** who was very disinterested in helping. About 30 days before my cruise leaving on July 23, 2016, I stopped in to speak to Janelle. I was told she left the company and I was now assigned to Brianna ** who said that she heard many complaints about Janelle and she promised much better customer service. Not sure why I wasn't contacted about Janelle leaving.

I asked Brianna for a phone call the day before we left on our cruise to see about an upgrade. Not only did I stop in that day (she wasn't in yet) and sent an email, I called her around 2 pm, 5 pm and 7 pm only to be told each time that she had other customers and couldn't call me back or answer my email each time I called. She was too busy helping new customers who were in the office instead of me who was leaving very early the next morning. I won't even say how much was spent with Liberty Travel for this once in a lifetime cruise for a family of 4, plus another couple that also booked with me, but it was well over $10,000!

I did get a call from the store manager Jeri ** at 8:41 pm the night before I left with more excuses. I did call Jeri tonight on the same phone number she called me from but was told she's not working at this time and I should have not called her on this number. My cruise was impacted by Tropical Storm Darby which included an itinerary change and excursion cancellation. With 2 families booked with Liberty Travel, I would expect some kind of contact. My brother who was also on the same cruise had many updates from his own travel agent as he did not use Liberty Travel.

Original review: June 14, 2016

I booked a trip to Beaches Turks 2 years ago. Trip was paid in full the middle of 2015. Unfortunately there was a cancellation of one adult the beginning of 2016 (well within the cancellation policy of Beaches) and another adult cancellation at the beginning of May 2016 (again within the cancellation policy). I have been in contact with the travel agent and manager of Liberty Travel in Garden City since the beginning of May and have not been able to find out what my refund will be. The service provided by this particular Liberty has been underwhelming at best. The manager has been uncooperative putting blame for this problem on Beaches and others. I was awaiting an email promising me information concerning this issue last evening. As I expected NO email came.

I have spoken to several other travel agents who tell me that a refund within the time frame of these cancellations is a no-brainer and the money should already be in my pocket. My educated guess is that Liberty did do these cancellations in a timely manner and now are working thru a penalty charge from Beaches and I'm left holding the bag. This is our 5th trip to Beaches as a family and NEVER AGAIN LIBERTY even though I used them for all my other trips. My new mantra is NEVER NEVER AGAIN LIBERTY GARDEN CITY. In my opinion when the manager speaks no real truth leaves his lips.

Original review: April 24, 2016

Booked a trip with Liberty Travel in Livingston, NJ. The salesperson had not traveled to either destination. By recommendations of previous clients that had been there he made the arrangements. We needed to rent a car from Nashville and drop it off in Memphis. We picked the car up (Alamo) and was not a mid-sized car that we requested and paid for. Also there was a $100.00 charge for dropping the car off in Memphis that the travel agent did not tell us about. When confronted the agent after the trip he called Alamo and I waited to hear from him. He could not do anything and I finally called Alamo myself to try and resolve the problem. I felt the salesperson is too inexperienced to work there. Also many times I tried to call during business hours and got a machine to leave messages, several times the salesperson did not return the call or never was told I called.

Original review: April 20, 2016

Wow, I just called Liberty Travel in River Edge, NJ. I asked to speak with an agent to discuss a trip that I would like to plan and the woman said "I am going to stop you right there. I don't have an agent available so you are just going to have to keep on calling back until someone is free. Try back in an hour or so." Wow! Guess they don't need my business. At least be polite and take a message and explain that someone will get back to me by the end of the day? I don't need to "keep trying" to call back in today's world where everything is just a click away. I should have just booked online anyway but figured I would give the local agent some business. Thanks Liberty Travel. Back to the web!!

Original review: April 7, 2016

Booked a trip to Cancun with them for my birthday in March 2016 for my Daughter and I, my Daughter's flight were the wrong times she missed her flights and took her all day on standby to get into Cancun, my flight from Cancun also had the wrong times, email to the person I made the reservations with - went unanswered and phone calls to the company - the person is working in another office and can't be found. Apparently they had the correct flight information but what I had was all wrong.

Original review: April 2, 2016

Liberty Travel sold us a family vacation last summer from NYC to Greece and told us we had 4 confirmed seats with e-ticket numbers. They took our money for the entire trip over 2 months prior to travel. When we arrived at JFK airport, Delta told us Liberty never properly communicated with them and as a result of overbooking, we were bumped. Our vacation to Greece with our 2 children was ruined. We showed the Delta gate agent our confirmations, but they indicated Liberty did not follow proper procedure. And so Liberty pointed the finger at Delta, and Delta pointed it at Liberty. This went on and on. I didn't have a relationship with Delta. Liberty had the relationship. I expected them to fight for us. They did not. Don't be fooled into thinking Liberty Travel is something more than it is. And they offered us nothing. Only a ruined trip.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2016

I went to Liberty Travel in Springfield Pa. I wanted to get information about a trip to Jamaica. Ryan ** who is the assistant team leader was unprofessional. I have booked 3 trips, two in one year with Liberty. I was rushed and was given parental advice about not leaving kids unattended in the hotel. Oh by the way I don't have any kids. There are children traveling with us. He was extremely unprofessional. I spoke with the manager of this location Susan. She made me feel like she didn't care. How about a real apology? Susan offered to assist me with my trip. No thank you. I would rather book online with Travelocity. Maybe Liberty Travel should try to hold onto all of the customers that have especially since online travel websites are taking over and the agencies will be obsolete.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

Vacation started out with incorrect flight number. Got to resort, found out that we were booked for a king sized bed (two females) when we had specified two beds. I next found out that I should have been told to pay for wifi. Security on the beach was almost non existent as proven one afternoon when an underwear clad, drugged man strolled on the beach, hassled women, verbally threatening them while security sat on her phone. Activities which were promised were negligible unless you wished to pay for them. I can't tell you how unhappy I was especially when a friend told me about her wonderful experience at another resort on the island. I would not recommend Antigua or Liberty Travel to anyone. Your associates don't do their homework. PS I didn't keep my paperwork for this venture.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2016

My wife and I booked our getaway trip to Punta Cana in January. It was scheduled to be a seven-day trip along with airfare. In the middle of the trip we heard the weather was changing and most of the vacationers were hearing from their travel agents about flight cancellations. We tried contacting our agent at Library Travel and was told she just received information about our flight being canceled. I contacted the airline AA. They informed me that they had started contacting their passengers earlier in the week to give them a chance to change their flight plans. However this information was never told to us b/c the Liberty T never contacted us to pass on that information. So we had to spend night in the airport, pay for our flight back to Pittsburgh. If you are traveling Please Do Not Use Liberty Travel.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2016

Called Liberty travel about one week ago. Receptionist took detailed information and promise to pass along to sales agent that was promised a call back later that day. Never received a call back. Called again about 5 days later and spoke to the Manager. The Manager said that should never have happened, he did not have ANY record of my call of needs. Re reviewed my needs and said he would call back within the hour. 2 hours later still no call. Called once again with promise to call back. NO CALLS. This is no way to do business. Don't say that you are going to follow up and not, nor make any records of needs. Not a professional way to do business. The Manager should be fired and replaced with a professional. Who knows how many clients they have lost because of poor records and call backs.

Liberty Travel expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Liberty Travel is a traditional brick-and-mortar travel agency with a presence in several major cities in New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, New England, Illinois, California and Florida.

• Travel consultation: Travel Experts provide one-on-one consultations with every booking as part of the company's service.

• Price-beat guarantee: Liberty Travel undercuts competitor prices for any part of the booked vacation by $10 per adult and $5 per child.

• Travel protection and insurance: In addition to booking flights, cruises and hotels, Liberty Travel offers traveler's insurance.

• Worldwide destinations: Clients can choose from popular destinations all over the world and exotic destinations that are off the beaten path, with destinations on all 6 habitable continents. Enjoy the unique flora and fauna found in Australia and New Zealand, before heading up to Asia to explore China, Japan, Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Singapore and more.

• Wide selection of cruise destinations: Liberty Travel's list of cruise destinations includes Alaska, Canada, the Caribbean, Europe and many others.

• Best for: Liberty Travel is best for travelers in search of a customized travel packages, insider information about destinations and for budget-conscious travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs