2. Travel
  3. Travel Agencies

1.3/5 (126 ratings)

About Liberty Travel

Liberty Travel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Travel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Travel?

Original review: July 12, 2021

I booked an appointment and received an email confirmation of date and time. The travel agent there read the email and said if I didn’t receive a phone call the appointment was not valid. The email stated nothing about a phone call. It was a confirmation email. How unprofessional and what a waste of time.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

Liberty Travel has stolen our money. Cruise line sent our money back to Liberty Travel. No money was refunded to us. We tried to contact various persons, offices, and corporate offices at Liberty Travel. There's no one that is of any help.

Get buying tips about Travel Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2020

We have used Liberty Travel in the past. We booked our dream trip to Italy which was cancelled due to Covid 19. Liberty Travel did not refund us all of our money (we purchased the travel insurance) and did not even offer a credit voucher through their company for the balance that was due to us. Employees provided inaccurate information. What refund we did receive took a multitude of calls and emails to get that. Have been attempting to reach them through their customer service desk phone number and emails to discuss remaining balance owed, but, not call backs, no response. Terrible customer service.

Original review: July 16, 2020

Horrible experience during this pandemic. They decided that they are not going to refund all of our money even when there are travel risk and bans for international traveling. They decided that they would keep $300 of my money.

Original review: June 19, 2020

Liberty Travel has always been our place to book great vacations, all have been fantastic. Trying to get our refund since April has been a bummer, even with insurance protection! I actually canceled in March but Liberty says we canceled April, either way it's been too long. Maybe we'll see Paris in 2022.

Original review: June 7, 2020

Would not refund my stay even though I was forced to cancel due to COVID. My flight was cancelled and there was no way for me to even use the room. Disappointed. Marco refused to refund the amount of the hotel stay because he said Rome was not impacted by the virus on March 1st. My flight had already been cancelled at that point. The airport I was supposed to fly out of was even closed by the time we were supposed to leave. Absolutely horrendous. Terrible customer service. Weeks for anything to be refunded and they refuse to refund the final hotel. Severely disgusted.

Original review: June 4, 2020

In October 2019 I booked a trip to China to celebrate my daughter’s graduation. In March 2020 as concerns began to grow surrounding the Coronavirus, I contacted my Liberty Travel agent as my daughter and I would need Visas and these are time sensitive documents. I was repeatedly told that the company was dealing with an onslaught of customers. Then the flight bans were put into effect. I was increasingly stressed both mentally and physically working full time as a nurse in NY. In mid April I was told my concerns were being escalated to Liberty Customer Retention Team and I could expect a response in 7-10 business days. Long story short, despite multiple attempts to follow up, as of June 4, 2020 I have not heard from Liberty Customer Retention Team. I am trying unsuccessfully to also deal with Trafalgar, but am directed back to Liberty Travel.

Original review: May 31, 2020

My wife & I booked a trip at the Fayetteville NY office in Dec 2019 to go to Germany for the 1st week in May. When everything was cancelled due to the Corona Virus we were promised a cash refund for our car rental & a guided tour of Potsdam Germany. We were also told we would get a credit/refund for our round ticket plane tickets from Lufthansa for our flight from Toronto to Germany. It is now over 2 months ago that the first refund promise was made. We have received nothing. Liberty Travel is now not returning calls, not returning emails & the corporate office phones are only taking messages thru a phone recorder.

We paid almost $4200 for our trip. We are both retired senior citizens & this money was from our vacation retirement fund. Why is Liberty Travel doing this to us. If you are thinking about booking a trip or tour thru Liberty Travel be aware it can happen to you. If you book with them & the Corona Virus comes back they will keep your money like they have kept ours. We now know we are going to have to sue Liberty Travel. To all readers - be careful of giving your business to Liberty Travel & stay safe. Peter **

Original review: May 20, 2020

I never use travel agents but against my better judgment used the worst Liberty Travel for my great friend's 40th birthday trip. My uncle passed away and his funeral was the same weekend as the trip. Liberty neglected to add my trip insurance and when Janelle added it, it was too late to file a claim through the insurance as he passed away on 1/5/20 and the insurance was added 1/6/20. Every time I tried to contact Janelle, I received out of office, so I had to start reaching out to others in office. I spoke with customer service who said they sent me credit of $455 to use within 2yrs. Well, I never received that email, nor would I have taken that credit when I spent over $1000. And I never wanted to use Liberty again.

Needless to say, I started a dispute with my bank and it has been a daunting task, back and forth with Liberty. Ugh. So, I reached out to Liberty and advised, I would drop the dispute if they gave me a full credit towards a hotel, Tabitha was very rude and stated she will not speak with me, only my bank. WTH. I am so pissed about this whole situation. Where is the compassion for the death in my family, which obviously took precedence over the trip. Do not use Liberty, they are the absolute worst and besides travel agents are ancient history. You're better off making your own arrangements as I would have, had it been my trip.

Original review: April 18, 2020

I feel duped. We used Liberty to book our large wedding group for May 2020 in St. Maarten after a friend recommended them from their Jamaica wedding. Following some very honest conversations with my agent about my hesitation to use a travel agency in the first place, I was lured by the (marginally) cheaper prices, ease for my older family members, and options for trip protection. Now the hotel is closed, flights are cancelled, and we cannot reschedule our wedding in the foreseeable future as we are both doctors working nonstop battling this damn virus. We are eloping so we can be husband and wife before one or both of us gets inevitably seriously sick. Still, our refund status is currently denied and I was told "none of our other couples had to cancel, everyone is rescheduling."

They did not care when I explained our situation as healthcare workers, and their decision stands. They are blaming the hotel for not providing Liberty with the refund to then pass on to us, however our contract and payments were to Liberty thus I don't see why the hotel should be a factor for us at all. Liberty has insurance for just these occasions to use that money however they see fit (ideally providing refunds), and should not be involving their travelers in their negotiations with the hotels directly. That is their entire role in this process - to act as a liaison between the hotel and guests! The most frustrating part of all of this is that all of our guests who booked on third party websites have already been refunded in full - they essentially do the same thing as a travel agency so why were they able to provide this when Liberty cannot?

There has been no benefit, only downsides to using a travel agency even before this COVID mess (they gave away our room block weeks prior to the final reservation date without notifying me leaving a third of our guests to scramble to book something, for which they apologized and eventually rectified after much discussion). Bottom line: for any groups thinking of using Liberty Travel in the future, please just don't. Travel agencies are a relic from a time before the internet and have no place in the current travel industry. It's like using a typewriter or a rotary phone now - you get inferior results and they just make so much extra noise.

Liberty Travel author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Liberty Travel is a traditional brick-and-mortar travel agency with a presence in several major cities in New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, New England, Illinois, California and Florida.

• Travel consultation: Travel Experts provide one-on-one consultations with every booking as part of the company's service.

• Price-beat guarantee: Liberty Travel undercuts competitor prices for any part of the booked vacation by $10 per adult and $5 per child.

• Travel protection and insurance: In addition to booking flights, cruises and hotels, Liberty Travel offers traveler's insurance.

• Worldwide destinations: Clients can choose from popular destinations all over the world and exotic destinations that are off the beaten path, with destinations on all 6 habitable continents. Enjoy the unique flora and fauna found in Australia and New Zealand, before heading up to Asia to explore China, Japan, Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Singapore and more.

• Wide selection of cruise destinations: Liberty Travel's list of cruise destinations includes Alaska, Canada, the Caribbean, Europe and many others.

Liberty Travel Company Information