CheapTickets

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I just booked a flight from Alberta to T.O. Seemed like a great price... couldn't pass it up... until I checked out and found out they charge in U.S. funds. I found it funny how they don't say that until you actually pay for your ticket. I cancelled it right right away. I'm not going to spend my hard earned money on a lowdown company that makes it seem you are getting a deal when in fact it would of cost me more through them than directly from the airline. Now I gotta wait 7 business days for my refund to get back to my credit card considering the entire transaction took about 10 minutes. If a transaction takes place in Canada for a Canadian return flight... I suggest they add a small feature to determine where you are booking from and change accordingly to the currency. I only saved about $50 but I won't let them get my money. I recommended going through CHEAPFLIGHTS... at least they are honest and much cheaper.

Well I have not even went to the soccer game yet because it has not come the day of the game but I know someone who bought tickets from CheapTickets for a game and said he liked the game but he thought they were fake and he would not enter the stadium. They were not so I hope it is not fake and I can enter and find my seat and not get told by another person and say "that's my seat." I like CheapTickets because I got it in less than a week.

Consumer Increased Rating!

We booked a hotel that was described as a 2 bedroom suite. We were given 1 bedroom. Upon talking with the front desk, we were informed that a 2 bedroom is equivalent to 2 beds in 1 room. If this was clear, we would have not spent over $150 for 1 room. We are asking for a partial refund as we were too tired to negotiate last night and did use the 1 room. We have talked to CheapTickets 3 times already and they have not been able to speak to the hotel manager. CheapTickets says that they need the manager to authorize a partial refund that we are asking for. We feel CheapTickets should take responsibility for what is on their website; false advertising, take a loss, give us a partial refund and talk to the manager on their own time.

Purchased round trip ticket from BHM to SFO, for flight 6 months from now. Booked first class for all four legs and was charged first class price. Sent tickets the next day to discover only two (very short) legs were in first class and the other 2, long legs were at the very back in coach. I called the company, and after a wait time of 90 minutes, spoke to a cheerful lady who looked at the reservation and told me, yes, I had booked and paid for 1st class but "sometimes they don't have enough seats and they will sit you somewhere else". Seriously! She actually said that.

I asked her to explain and she told me that this happens all the time, and it was just bad luck for me. When I told her to cancel the ticket immediately, and that, no, I did not want to book another flight, she said (and I couldn't make this up) "Yeah... I don't blame you. I wouldn't either". Hard to trust a company when their employees seem embarrassed to be associated with them. I will never use this outfit again and suggest you don't either.

So I decided to book a room for my family via CheapTickets.com for Myrtle Beach S.C. They booked me at a place called Mystic Sea. So I started to research the place. I found that they had had bedbugs! I also found that there were numerous complaints about the rooms smelling musty and also that there was not elevator to the third floor, which is where they booked us. I called Mystic Sea to ask about these complaints. I was told that if I had a problem with bed bugs when I checked in to let them know. Really!!! I addressed the musty smell complaint because we have a great nephew who was going to be with us on this trip, who has major allergies. I was told that they open one floor at a time and the third floor was scheduled to be opened that week. No. And yes there was no elevator, surprise surprise! I have osteoarthritis and bone spurs in both knees so steps are difficult.

He said he would move us to the ground floor. Wasn't happy but ok. A few days later my stepdad who was diagnosed with prostate cancer had to have emergency surgery. No vacation for us. Oh well family is what matters! I called Mystic Sea and explained we had a family emergency and I need to cancel. He said that I needed to contact CheapTickets because they charged him a fee and if they waived their fee then he would send my deposit back. Back on the phone like I don't have enough going on! CheapTickets said that they would refund me. They sent me a email stating I would receive my deposit back. The email stated that my refund was processed on march 12, 2017 and that it could take up to 15 days to receive my refund back.

Today is March 31 and guess what still no refund! First of all it didn't take them 15 days to get my money why does it 15 plus days to return it. In my opinion CheapTickets and Mystic sea are just thieves using the system to take people's hard earned money! DO DOT USE CHEAPTICKETS.COM OR MYSTIC SEA RESORT In Myrtle Beach S.C.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cheaptickets.com?

I ordered a round-trip ticket from NY to Seoul on Cathay and the website said the ticket was refundable if cancelled within 24 hours. CheapTickets refunded the ticket fee, but charged a "booking fee" of $14.98. When I called the representative in India said this is their policy. I called the credit card company to contest this policy and they said the credit card company can't dispute charges less than $25 as the administration is too expensive. CheapTickets obviously knows how credit card companies work and charges under the limit for disputing the "booking fee charge." I would not use this company again as I was not aware of this fee and it is not advertised. Section 8 of their "Terms and Conditions" specifically states, "We don't charge a fee for changes and cancellations." Then why did they charge me a "booking fee?"

I had booked vacation to Las Vegas - outgoing flight was canceled due to bad weather so I was not able to check into Vdara Hotel. Now I am having huge problems getting a refund. Lesson I have learned: NEVER use Cheap Tickets or similar discount agents - it's criminal whats going on!!!

I will try to keep this simple and not waste anyone's time explaining how much of a rip-off this company is - and how embarrassed I feel to have fallen for this sham scam website. Why, after booking a flight and canceling two hours later (because I found a cheaper flight on Expedia) was a $29.96 booking fee debited from my bank account and the $375 amount for the flight "held and pending" in my account for 3 days!!! I called CheapTickets and explained that they were in violation of their "terms and conditions" and they wanted to know why I cancelled before considering if I should get my deposit back!! I told them it was none of their business and to refund me immediately. They reluctantly agreed but said I would receive an email within 24-48 hours confirming the refund. I fear this is not the end of it. Warning - Do not do business with this company.

Purchased advanced tickets to a play. Paid $202.00 per ticket, plus $42.42 ticket fee per ticket. I was sent $75.00 tickets. They will not refund any or all money paid. And even hung up on me 2 times when I called. I was not abusive or rude in any way, but the support people sure were!

CheapTickets is not cheap at all. The tickets are slightly lower booking them direct with the Airline and on top there is the overly expensive, excessive nonrefundable BOOKING FEE; in my case 60$ which was a surcharge of little bit less than 10%. This is unacceptable, please reconsider booking through cheaptickets.com and go through the airline direct. You'll save money! I saved 110$ on 600$ worth tickets!!!

I have purchased my ticket from San Francisco to Prague. During purchase I was instructed, that the seat assignment I have to do through the airline website. There I found out, that I am not allow to select seat until 24 hours before the flight. I send them several emails and requests to cancel my flight and nobody was responding to my complains. They lost one customer, I will never do any business with them anymore. They are nothing than disgusting frauds. If I had the ticket purchased directly from Lufthansa I would be able to get my seat assigned and I will pay less that I paid them.

My husband purchased a flight and hotel and by mistake it books four nights at hotel instead of one. We call 15 minutes after purchase and told them we were charged for four nights instead of one and could they credit our money back to our account and they gave us the run around and said they couldn't refund our money which is not true. We talked to hotel we booked weeks ahead so they didn't see a problem but CheapTickets keep our money.

They say it's a live website, but after 30 minutes of refreshing and doing screen shots the price never changed until I called them. They told me to pay the full price, send the screen shots and they would refund the difference. I was then told that now that my screen showed 1700 from 900.00, they didn't have too big joke, since I has all of my screen shots. They are a scam - live isn't live. Got switched to a customer service agent who couldn't even find my flight, I walked her through. All I wanted was a flight from Tampa to Toronto - somehow she ended up with Mexico. Big waste of time. Never again!!!

Within the two weeks I received four notifications from CheapTickets with the change of the timing of my flight (the flight is in 6 months from now!). First change of timing was ok and I confirmed that; the second was outrageous since it moved 6 pm flight to 6 am (which is definitely also cheaper), without offering of any refund. To my e-mail that I do not agree with such change and ask to contact me urgently I received an answer from some Espinosa that I shall contact the company myself (for each minute of call they charge around 1 dollar!!!).

When I called them, a male employee who answered the phone mumbled his name so I will never know the name of this "hero"... He was extremely impatient and rude. He told me "Of course you should call us, and not we to you". He absolutely did not listen to me and when I asked to apologise, just told me that the change of flight is not their fault and broke up the line. Never, never book the tickets with this company if your nerves, time and money are important to you!!! PS in the end I was "offered" to have exactly the same time of flight as was booked by me initially but with this service I am still not sure if I get a confirmation and my flight will be according to my wishes.

I was directed to this company through another travel website. It was a great deal from Omaha to Honolulu. I bought the tickets then later in the day I got an email saying my card was declined and to call the number. I called the number and the girl answered, in a very thick Indian accent, "Reservations." That's all she said. So I explained that I received the declined email and she was asking me for the flight details. Right then I got a thought to check out reviews of the company.

Found all these complaints and told the girl that I didn't want to continue with the flight and I wanted to cancel it. She said "OK well it's already cancelled." So I asked for her name and she said "Janice". I replied "It's Janice?" And she just says, "Yes." So I asked for her ID number and she said "Why do you want that?" and I said, "In case there are any problems with the cancellation, I want to know who I talked to and said it was cancelled." And she said "OK, I just sent the cancellation email to you. Check your inbox." Suddenly in my inbox it appeared. The fact that she didn't want to give me her ID number (which any reputable company would have their employees give their ID numbers) made me very wary of this place. Do not use this company for anything.

I spent 5 hours on the phone with CHEAP TICKETS. First call was over 2 hours. After the first 40 minutes I was told the rep didn't have authority and transferred me to another rep, and finally a 3rd. So, after the 2 h 20 min call, they asked me to call back in 1 hour and ask for a supervisor. The 2nd call was well over 3 hours. They wouldn't transfer me to a supervisor until they had the same info and tried to solve the problem and couldn't then transferred me. THEN it was a 3 hr 8 min call. They were talking with Air France during the first call but during the 2nd they said was closed! So no resolution. Pay $2000 more!

I received an email from CheapTickets in Nov 2017, after purchasing 3 plane tickets for $1400, stating that "there is no need to confirm this reservation". I also bought the travel protection for 99, just in case. What a shock this was to me when I checked in on Dec 31 for my return flight, to find out the flight was cancelled, and I had been booked on another flight 2 1/2 hours EARLIER via Dallas. After 5 hours on the phone speaking with agents, supervisors, dropped calls, a manager "Michelle" - it was made clear that:

1) There was nothing they could do. 2) I would have to talk to American Airlines directly to see if they could change my flights for $200/each. 3) Since there were no flights left for the evening, they wouldn't even help out with a hotel or transfers. 4) Their policy is that they only contact you to confirm flight changes if they exceed the 3 hour flight change time limit. Since ours was only 2 1/2 hours of a change, it didn't qualify. EVEN THOUGH IT WAS 2 1/2 HOURS EARLIER, not later - which of course would have been a non-issue. That is unacceptable. I am asking for some type of recompense, of which they have given none.

An airline employee just confirmed that when you "choose" your seats on your flight using a third party company like CheapTickets, it's simply useless. How convenient!! When I booked my flight with CT and "picked" my seats through their booking process... I chose either an aisle or window seat. On both flights I was inconveniently placed in center seats. What the hell is the seat selection process for when I'm booking my flight? Why don't they just tell us... "you're wasting your time, in actuality we'll seat you wherever we choose to". It's RIDICULOUS! Why aren't we warned that in fact we have to now go through the hassle of contacting the actual airline and booking our seats through them. It's not like CheapTickets is even giving us a discount on the flight! What kind of company flat out lies to their customers straight off the bat?

I doubt I will ever book another flight with CheapTickets since now I know I need to go through a second process of actually contacting the airline and going through the hassle of making my accommodations with them. Wow, real convenience these stupid 3rd party companies really are! Seriously... We're in the technology age and CheapTickets hasn't figured out how to link their system with the airlines that they are profiting off of. Get it together! At least offer us the darn seats we're paying for! Note to the CEO... If you can't fix a simple issue... good luck with your company in the age of technology and convenience! I don't see a bright future for CheapTickets!

I booked a ticket for my wife and son from Madrid to Antalya Turkey for them to reunite with me. My wife already bought her ticket from Bogota to Madrid. CheapTickets took the money out of my account, and then canceled the reservations because of issues with the payment and did not sent an email to notify me neither. The first time they told me that the money did not leave my account, I called my bank. The bank informed me that CheapTickets did withdraw the money. I have been calling them since 3 pm until 2:46 in the morning because my wife needed those tickets to board the plane from Colombia to Madrid. I still want to understand how tickets are canceled but the full amount is taken off of your credit card and then you are told you have to wait 3 business day for your money to be returned. If there was a problem the money should have never left my account to begin with right?

We booked round trip flights through CheapTickets and our outgoing flight was canceled by the airline. CheapTickets reimbursed us for the flight that was cancelled, but wouldn't reimburse us for the return flight because it had not been cancelled. When I explained that we couldn't use the tickets because the airline had cancelled the outgoing flight they said it wasn't their problem. The person I spoke with could barely speak English and was very disrespectful. We will never use CheapTickets again.

Oct. 20, 2016 I booked travel and hotel for my family with CheapTickets. Was on the phone with representative who barely spoke English. I was very exact and specific in my reservations. Requested all inclusive for party of 5 people... I never received a confirmation, my card was charged $4100, my dates of travel were wrong.

When I called to see where my confirmation email was, and I never got the all inclusive... one the phone 3 times for hours at a time to be told "you will just have to wait until someone calls you back"... insane. They took my money, I did not receive the all inclusive as I requested and now they want me to pay $500 more a night. This is obscene and horrible. This was a present for my family for xmas. Looks like cheaptickets has a Scrooge running their company. I intent to not allow them to get away with this, calling "shame on you", and whoever else I need to make the public awareness of this underhanded business they are running. Thanks for ruining my vacation.

I contacted CheapTickets on multiple occasions about a change in my itinerary that was made by the airline, which would mess up all my connecting flights. CheapTickets did not notify me of this change. I called to double check what my flight times were. They said they would contact the airline and get back to me and they never did so I persisted to call right up until the night before I was leaving. I spent the whole week calling and it nearly ruined my vacation. I got the same response every time. They never called me so I took it upon myself to call the airline. They did not want to help either so I went to the office of the airlines and spoke to a manager. After all of the time wasted worrying about my trip home, they finally put me on a different flight home. Never will I book with CheapTickets again. The worst customer service I've ever encountered.

I purchased tickets on 11/5/2016 and cancelled them within 4 hours when I received a phone call from a 312 area code asking for birth dates. This was not the company that I had done business with. I contacted Cheaptickets & again was told that my reservations were confirmed, yet another email came in stating that there was a issue and my flight was on hold. Long story short, I cancelled the reservations and rebooked with Expedia. The flight monies were corrected & sent off of the account. However, the $272 for room & transportation was removed from our bank on 11/7.

Again another phone call on 11/8 that yes flight was cancelled & they were sorry but my other reservation for the hotel has not been cancelled. Yes, they were now cancelled and $ would be back in account within 3 days. Forward to 11/14 and yet no money & another phone call. Only to be told again, that my hotel transportation charges had not been cancelled. Yes, they will cancel and now it will be 5 business days before $ is return. Bull, this company is nothing but a sham. I will contact Visa & file a fraud case against these people. DON'T EVER USE CHEAPTICKETS.COM AS YOU WILL NEVER GET ANY SATISFACTION!

Horrible experience!! Made a trip to NYC for my reservation and when I got there the hotel said they never received CheapTickets confirmation #. After calling CheapTickets they stated that they sent the hotel confirmation to the wrong email address and the hotel was fully booked. I was stranded in NYC with nowhere to stay after spending 2 hours with them on the phone. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT do business with these crooks.

I currently live between Europe and Asia, and have been travelling extensively for more than 20-years, having started my career working within the Tourism industry. This is by far the worst Travel Company I have had the misfortune to deal with, because of a system error on their part... they cancelled my ticket and said they would give a full refund that will take place 10-days later!

So there is 600 in limbo, no flights booked or confirmed for my flights for Christmas and I now travel into an area where I have no WiFi for 3-weeks and their answer is it's not their problem, simply because they will not take responsibility for their error - I know backwards how the systems work, and this is their error - yet they refuse to accept or even apologise. Disgraceful attitude, ZERO faith in this company... Look to the other reviews and AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!

I booked a flight, read all the details which I always do thoroughly to make sure I'm getting the price I want, and entered the payment info, and at no time did the website notify me that it would charge $43.98 for booking this flight. This info was buried in the confirmation email I got, that I didn't notice until later. Had I seen this number at any point, I would have booked my flight elsewhere. I went through the paces of booking a different flight and found the text Booking Fee $0 on the webpage. I called three times, navigating the labyrinth of phone menus, finally finding the billing section, and then silence. I waited on the phone for 5, 10 and 20 minutes with complete silence. No messages asking me to wait, no music, no answer. I had to call "new reservations" and tell them to transfer me to the billing department. They refused to refund their fraudulent charge. I had to dispute it with my credit card company.

I booked my flight in July. Few weeks back, received an email notifying me that my flight has been cancelled, a next day flight was proposed. As it is a family vacation trip and all has been arranged, I need to be arrive on the same day. I immediately reply to the change of flight email and stated my request. I then called up the customer services, but the staff, by name of Peter, seem to be in a bad mode and bad attitude. He told me that that my request will be processed after 4 days, nothing more has been told to me. As though he is just a messenger. What kind of a service is provided by CheapTickets. I also did a search on the Internet and the same carrier does has other flights schedule on the same day. I also email them. But no response.

I waited for 7 days, no one call me up for updates or not even an email to updates me on my request. Finally, I decided not to take the risk of allowing my family holiday schedule to be ruin by the BAD services provided by CheapTickets. I called up again the customer services, and requested for a full refund as as an option I stated in my email to them earlier. During the call, I was then told that I will get a full fund of the amount I paid. Then again, when I received email confirming the refund request, I was told that the refund is excluding the services charges. Again the kind of services expected from CheapTickets.

Through other tickets booking company, I again booked my flight that arrive and depart to my destination on the same day as planned, except more expensive due to the date is closer to my trip. I have to spend $800 more due to the type of services provided by cheaptickets.com. Wish I could have booked my tickets from other company earlier. Now I only hope that I can get my refund in full 2 months time as I was told...

I don't know what happened to the days where a company/website actually cared about repeat business. They appear to be just a memory. Like so many others I reluctantly purchased the travel insurance as it boasts you are covered if you have to cancel your flight as long as you do it within 48 hours of your flight. My brother has cancer and a few days before the flight he fell very ill. Needless to say flying was not an option. So we decided to wait a week and try again... when I called to make the change, the process was so daunting and absolutely designed for the insurance provider (scam/fraud artists) to escape any liability.

Unbelievable. Over a $170 ticket. CT has lost a lifetime customer and earned itself another FAIL RED STAR on ConsumerAffairs. This review will appear on ripoff reports and the BBB and lodging a formal complaint with the FCC. Folks, it's not enough to just complain here... you must copy your review to the FCC web page if we are to ever see this fraudulent business practice put to an end! Good luck everyone.

I booked a flight with this company and discovered some things that are troubling. First, let me say I was eager to book a flight quickly because there was a death in my family. The website gives you a time slot between 6 am and 10 pm which does not become apparent until after you book the flight. Although they advertise this as cheap tickets that are non-refundable after the booking they offer travel protection insurance which allows you to cancel the flight. Beware, read the link because you cannot cancel unless you die, or become so ill that you cannot make the flight. I called this company and complained that I clicked book because I was under duress and grieving. They don't care about YOU or your grief! I was bounced around between CheapTickets and the insurance company before I finally cancelled at a 100% loss of money, time and trust in a company that has absolutely no compassion.

Well, looks like I was one of those trusting people who booked online with CheapTickets and got screwed! Don't book through them!! I see now that many, many customers have been billed twice and cannot seem to get their money back! They have "accidentally" hung up on me twice and said that the charge will be reversed. Representative would not give me the number to call directly to resolve this issue. He just said that he will type up report and said it would be taken care of. I am not feeling too confident. Words of wisdom... DO NOT BOOK WITH CHEAPTICKETS!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

CheapTickets is an online travel company owned by Orbitz Worldwide Inc. Its focus is helping leisure travelers find rental cars, cruises, accommodations and airline tickets.

• Event tickets: Travelers can use the website to purchase tickets to events in their destination cities.
  • Mobile app: Mobile users get access to exclusive hotel deals and car rental discounts.
  • Deals: CheapTickets uses discount codes so travelers can get extra discounts.
  • Vacation packages: Vacation packages offer additional discounts to travelers who bundle services.
  • Vacation planning: The Scratchpad feature helps travelers plan the services they will need.
  • Best for Budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites