It's that easy Request Information
2.93/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We understand that traveling can be a hassle. With CheapOair, it doesn't have to be. Our site allows travelers to easily access multiple quotes from hundreds of hotels, airlines, cruise lines and car rental companies to ensure that each customer finds a deal that best accommodates their travel needs.

CheapOair strives to provide the best customer service to our customers to help you through your booking experience. Should you encounter any bumps along the way, our team will be here to provide the best care and support.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

6173 CheapOair Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 18, 2019

Representative Ryan was very helpful in accommodating my change of flight request over the phone. I would advise a clear warning on "24 hour cancellation", it carries a $75 fee. I found a better price and flight schedule on Expedia ($696), right after completion of my online booking. I immediately contacted Online chat - it was slow and not helpful. CheapOair chat online Ayler cut me off when I requested canceling, next online chat Olive advised my requested departure flight change (same airline, same day, later time) would cost extra $477, or cancellation charge $75. I called the 800 #, and Ryan was able to make my flight change and get me a further $5 discount, I still paid $50 over Expedia's price and it took over 2 hours to resolve.

So, caveat emptor, making online bookings, check flights and offers thoroughly, among sites, the 24 hour cancellation is not free, be patient. I also object to the countdown clock on completing reservation, I do appreciate Ryan's assistance. He is the only reason for my good rating. Clarify your terms. Simplify offers, get rid of the pressure timer.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

The phone representatives were helpful and nice, while professional. I did have difficulty understanding the cute Middle-Eastern accents. Twice I was disconnected when asking them to repeat-- the information was important. So I had to call back several times due to a couple representatives, probably tired, hanging up. One nice rep couldn't make a bank withdrawal because she gave the bank the wrong CVC -- didn't understand me, either.

On my side, the wifi on my computer was fading out to almost nothing and I think the dates got mixed up, going off and on. Bad connection at one point of registering. So I had to reschedule and that required several calls, but thankfully we got it done. I think the representatives have a lot of patience and stick-to-it-tiveness. Very nice and most stayed with me until problems could be resolved, or if I tried again, the next person did. Very tenacious people, as the complications were a little frustrating for me and the job is tedious, not all customers are nice.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I found a path to Australia from Chicago for about $442 USD (one way in 2018). The trip itself took 3 days but I loved it. I got to fly over the Arctic Circle and spend a whole day in Singapore. If you are looking for a direct flight, I don't know if it'll be as cheap but I personally planned for layovers. When you book, you receive an email outlining your flights; using this I confirmed that the seats were legit and not a scam. I didn't have any issues in any of the airports or with my tickets. The airlines I flew with had amazing customer service and were comfortable! I didn't have to change anything on my schedule, but I would be careful as I'm pretty sure you only have 24 hours to change dates/flights without fees. Hope this helps (I know I was a bit nervous) and safe travels!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I booked two tickets (Chloe **, Conaway ** and Jorge **) through CheapOair on Interjet from LAS/ MEX/MID on Thursday, Nov. 22. The afternoon before, I tried to get my boarding passes from the Interjet website and they kept answering that they had no reservation under our number or under our names. After 5 tries, I called Customer Assistance for CheapOair and a very nice and efficient young man named Melvin tried to straighten it all out by calling the airline directly. The call lasted 45 minutes and by the end he had managed to get them to recognize our reservation, book our specific seats and have them tell him that their system was crashed and no one could get boarding passes so we should just come to the airport well before the 3 hour limit for international flights and they would have personnel handling it. They did, in fact, process the very long line in as short a time as possible.

Next, we sat at the gate we all had been assigned and watched the flight time (11:20am) come and go with no eployee to tell us what the problem was. Happily, CheapOair sent a couple of us emails saying the new boarding time was at 12:40 for a 1:20pm take-off time. We then informed all of the other passengers of that information. Still no Interjet employee. 1:20 came and went, too and at about 1:40 employees finally arrived and started rushing us to get on the plane which had jusr arrived. 3 hours late to Mexico City which meant we arrived a half hour after the flight time for our flight to Merida. The stewardesses told us (half the plane missed their connecting flights!) to see an employee at the exit from the plane. That employee just looked confused, said she had no information and told us all to go through customs and out into the airport with our suitcases and go to the regular check-in desk for Interjet to see how it was going to be handled.

We did so and had the good luck to get a porter who knew where that was, about a 20 minute walk. When we arrived, there were about 300 people all in a bunch trying get some kind of information about late flights. My husband managed to grab the arm of a young woman who informed him our Merida flight hadn't left yet and we needed to re-check our luggage, go through security again and get to the gate asap before the flight left. Are you getting the picture? In any case, we arrived home at 1am, grateful for even that late arrival. Thank you, Melvin, and CheapOair, for bringing some kind of order to such a mess. Interjet, we will NEVER fly you again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Was a bit scared of doing mistakes, as at my 65yo age I seem to miss 'the chip'. But I managed to succeed - and when realising that my traveler name was incomplete, they promptly issued (@US$25 extra cost) a compass ticket solving the problem. Also had an issue when picking seats: once selected, I found out that it was optional (and costly) - being on a budget, had no option to unpick them... In fact about US$16 were already charged to my credit card on account of it; but when trying to solve the case, they graciously accepted my 4 (I have to fly on 4 planes) selections for that accidental (non refundable) sum, which speaks greatly about their wonderful client attention. So I'm grateful and do highly recommend CheapOair, not only for their fantastic deals but also for their service. An excellent first experience!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CheapOair?

Original review: May 23, 2019

I've been using Cheapoair since i can't even remember (i'll say 2009-20010), so about 10 yrs. They've always been my first go to site for cheap flights and everything was good in the beginning but as of recently, the company has gotten a little sneaky with their fees and the way they go about your bookings. I'll recount two recent incidents - i'm sure others have found themselves in similar situations:

Last year my family and I planned an international trip. I purchased all of our flights from cheapoair (5 adults 1 infant). Right after booking the flight, i received a call from a representative pressing me to reserve my seats in advance. I went ahead and reserved the seats so the entire family would sit together - had to pay extra per seat. When the rep called me, i was under the impression that we wouldn't be able to fly or get seated together if we didn't book in advance or the airline would charge us when we got to the kiosk. Whatever, i reserved the extra seats to be on the safe side.

On the day of our flight, we arrived at the airport to find out that 1) we were not getting our reserved seats 2) the baby's ticket number was not registering and we couldn't check in without the baby's ticket number. We spent an hour at the kiosk waiting for them to find the number, after calling around, they had to issue a new ticket for the baby and they couldn't do so without issuing a new adult ticket. Not the way you want to start your trip and a long flight - needless to say it, everyone was irritated and tired by the time we got on board. We finally get to our seats and guess what, they screwed up the seating arrangement - a service we had already paid for to guarantee that we would actually be seated together.

I recently booked a trip with cheapoair for my sister in law who's going overseas with my niece. While booking the ticket, i looked at the baggage information to see if we would have to pay and extra fees for checked baggages - it said there were no baggage fees for that airline. I go forward with booking the flights. When i get the email, i skip reserving my seats for the extra $116 fee. I immediately get a call from cheapoair and the rep asks why i hadn't reserved my seats. I tell him that i'm not interested we just want the flights.

Earlier i'd try to verify the baggage rules on the airlines website and couldnt see them so i asked the cheapoair rep for the exact policy. That's when he informs me that i purchased an "ECONOMY LIGHT" fare. Meanwhile when i was booking the flights, the options were coach, premium economy, business and first. But apparently, economy light is a secret layer where they charge extra added fees with no explanation. Will book directly from the airlines from now on. Our dollars can be spent better elsewhere.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Had an important family affair to attend. Got to airport two hours early.... Was told our flight had been cancelled. Frantic to get there I was forced to buy new tickets from another airline since CheapOair could not reschedule for two days. My family was at receiving airport for my original flight picking up other family from another airline. While there my CANCELLED flight came in “on time”. Now I am demanding a refund and again I am getting the runaround. We were actually bumped from our flight.... More than likely they resold our tickets to someone else for a higher price. I have heard of this type of scam but never thought I would be a victim.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I booked two tickets on CheapOair before realizing that that multiple long layovers added 11 plus hours to each trip. I immediately called customer assistance to inquire about options with shorter layovers, and was told that anything with shorter layovers would add $500 plus to each ticket. I went online and found a NON-STOP option for the same price, dates, and airports. The nonstop carrier was listed on the CheapOair site at triple the real price. They lied to me in order to sell their crappy bottom-grade flights. I ended up eating the price of the two 20-hour flights in order to rebook the nonstop flight at virtually the same price. Bottom line: this company is dishonest and disreputable. Beware.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I initially booked a trip on CheapOair, because the fare was a little cheaper than other sites. I thought, well, I will give it again. Also, in the CheapOair website said that if you paid extra money (I think it was about $12), you would be covered for cancellation fee and "speedy" customer service. So I did, as well as extra money for "price drop alert" (extra $5). I thought with these 2 extra paid service, I would be OK. But I was wrong or being played by CheapOair. My first booking was for early May, but my job would not let me go because they need more time for scheduling. So I had to cancel it less than 1 day.

It was not easy at all canceling though CheapOair! They wanted to charge cancellation fee! I told that I had paid for cancellation fees. But the guy (with Indian accent) told me that the money was "only" for "speedy" customer service. After much argument and I told him that I would book another trip for later on day on their website, he agreed to give me the refund. As you might have figured it out, the second trip, although giving more time, was more expensive than the first one. I also, booked one day hotel via CheapOair. It said $33/night and I booked it, but the woman (with Indian accent) told me that it came up to $72 because there is a fee and she assured me that I could cancel it anytime before my trip day on May 27th. I need the hotel booking information for my visa. I thought, well, I could cancel it after I have got the visa.

I did get the visa quickly. But When I called back 2 days ago asking for cancellation of the hotel, I was put on hold for a long time ("speedy" customer service?!), the man with Indian accent told me that he can only give me $33 not the full refund. I explained to him that when I was booking the hotel, his colleague told me that I could cancel it with full refund any time before May 27th and it was way before that. After that, he said that he would give me the full refund and I would receive a confirmation email soon. I did received two emails with the confirmation, except that it did not mention anything about the full refund.

Today, May 21, I have received an email from the refund department and only refund me $35.21. not the full amount. I tried to email them back, but my email was blocked! What kind of ** company is this!? A group of crooks--lie, play and steal from their customers! I had tried different online booking companies. Recently, I booked a trip via another company. I did not like the house in Cuba when I got there and the Booking.com gave me full refund without any fees. I just wanted to share my experience with CheapOair, so that you, the potential customer, will look elsewhere before you get played by CheapOair and waste your money! Do not deal with company like CheapOair that you can NOT TRUST!

Original review: May 22, 2019

I booked a flight through CheapOair. I had to postpone it for several reasons. I called their customer service line which routed me to a call center located in India. Spent a total of 3+ hours on the line with several agents who where all EXTREMELY disrespectful. They did not explain the flight change policies and pricing breakdowns well and kept on changing what they would say. The company wanted to charge me as much money as I had initially paid for. The agents were not attending to my concerns and refused to answer some of my questions nor help find me a satisfying resolution or cancellation alternative.

I felt like the company had me tied up since I had already paid and literally did not consider my booking history as a regular returning customer. I was being kept on hold for over 20-30 minutes at a time without any reasonable reason. I decided to cancel my flight and got charged a $200 cancellation fee as well as refund of only 70% of the initial price. This has been by far the worst customer experience I have ever had and I will never consider booking anything from this company. Literally horrible service. I would strongly recommend you all to avoid this company in case you book something with them and require assistance, you will have a lot of trouble dealing with their service team.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Booked tickets for my kids and myself. They send me an email pushing me to a different flight. When I tried to get that resolved over phone, they kept me on hold for >45 min two times during the day and then when it finally connected one of those instances, they hung up. Online support is also bad. No response to email either.

Original review: May 21, 2019

What a terrible company. I never will buy a ticket from them. I filled out all the information correct. They made a mistake and didn't put my son’s middle name in it. I called several times Sunday. Price was $75 for name change, another customer service representative told me call FinnAir. I called FinnAir... They told me they can't do anything because I booked with them. So I called back again. They hang up on me. So I'm still there where I started on Sunday. What an unprofessional company. Price on Friday will be 150$... By the way I called FinnAir and they said if I would of book with them would be $25.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I have bought tickets via CheapOair few times. Each time they made some error and then compensated me with a discount voucher to be used on my next flight. However every time I try to use the voucher, they would give an excuse saying, "Sorry the fare is already low." Why would they give a discount voucher if they can not honor it. This has happened many times. When I ask for Customer service, they keep passing my call from one rep to another then to hold for hours and hours. Very very bad service. Their fares are not something to brag about. Several sites offer same fares or even less in some cases.

Original review: May 21, 2019

CheapOair scheduled me a roundtrip flight from St Louis to Maui. There was a problem and I lost contact with them. Upon regaining contact and a different agent I was booked for a one-way flight at an increased price. I objected only to be told there would be a 50 dollar cancellation fee on top of the 70 dollar service fee. Fair warning, do not use these ripoff pieces of **. If you do there is a good likelihood you'll be just as pissed off and ripped off as I right now.

Original review: May 21, 2019

The representative had a heavy accent, but I am used to the pronunciation, since I am a Substitute teacher and I have Indian students. I understood him. I did not have any good choices, except one flight, (the one I booked). I have a 1:35 a.m. flight that day and I will arrive at 3:40 p.m. This will certainly be a long layover until my flight. I was so disappointed to see that there was a charge of $3.95 to have the Boarding Pass, on an iPhone!! I am waiting until the day when passengers are charged for using the Bathroom! To have your Boarding Pass on the phone, used to be free!

Original review: May 20, 2019

Searched for a specific date. But for some reason the website changed the date. Not the only person this has happened to. Cost me twice as much to change the date to the correct one. They know they're scamming people AND aren't doing anything to fix it.

CheapOair response

Derek, our website is set up to display the least expensive fares first, we mention that as being alternate date. When searching for the flights that fit your needs you would have had to scroll down the availability until you see the dates you needed. We also have a pop up screen highlighted asking if you want these flights and we display them and also mention you have saved $$ by choosing alternate dates, if they didn't work for you, this is where you needed to select go back and start again.Our website doesn't switch the dates after your selection. If you didn't call within 24 hours to cancel or change than you have the airline change penalty, plus the actual cost of the ticket you would have paid if alternate dates were not selected. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I booked a flight through this online company. I checked twice the booking time & date, as it was not 100% clear as they decide to use a 12 hour clock & denote P instead of PM. I was booking a flight for the next day. The booking comes through for a flight that departs in 7 mins time. I contact the agency who inform me that I've already missed my flight & that there is nothing they can do?!? Fraud.

1) I did not book a flight for the same day. I double checked it due to the confusion over their 12 hour clock.
2) How can you take a booking for a flight that has already closed their doors to depart?

3) Were not interested in helping except for telling me to book another flight & pay the airlines penalty.

Do not use this agency, it's a scam.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Overall I am satisfied with the nonstop ticket I purchased for my 16-year-old son. I paid $158.00 dollars. But a few minutes after I had purchased the ticket, I saw a better deal for a round trip ticket that is now $179.00. Which is is only a few dollars more & way better than the one-way ticket I have already purchased.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I received great customer service and all problems resolved immediately. Prices were also very affordable. I would definitely recommend your company to family and friends. The only thing I did not see on your website that if a traveler will need a special visa to where they are traveling I believe the travel agency should advise us of the necessary traveling documents.

Original review: May 18, 2019

After the second time Cheapo sent me a confirmation that didn't match the flight being the second time they confirmed the proper date then sent itinerary that was for a flight 30 days later so first time they basically told us get lost and we had to eat the cost of both flights. The second time they said they would take care of it. After an hour and a half on the phone with them trying to convince me to go to two other airports that would cost an additional 50$ in transit taking more than 5 hours to get to either of them they continued to keep me on hold telling me a number of times they have a flight.

I found a flight then they said they couldn't verify the purchase of the ticket so another top dollar ticket and another ticket we couldn't use. It was clear the plan was to keep me busy, tell there was no available flights so they could purchase the cheapest flight possible and when they couldn't they didn't make right. In fact their negligence cost me my job and I'm sure will soon cost my livelihood. Don't be a victim. This it is a repeated problem. If you have had an experience like this email ** and join our efforts to build a class action suit. They clearly have undesirable business practices.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I'm an ongoing customer with CheapOair for the past year. This has been my best experience ever in booking a flight, even with other Airlines. My representative, Aubren was kind, patient and very helpful. He was the one that made my experience SO great!

Original review: May 16, 2019

So glad I found the CheapOAir site. I did it via looking up best flight search sites and sort of picked through. Other sites kept popping up first but I had been there so persisted. Luckily I found this one. Extremely easy to use and great support! Made my air reservations at 3 am on the site and then the next day made a great car rental reservation on the phone, as well as checking my name listing. They answer right away. Glad I found the site. Will use them again!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have been using CheapOair for the past few years for my annual trip to Switzerland. The agents when I need them are always polite and helpful. The site is easy to navigate. I did try others, nope. Will be back next year. Jean

Original review: May 16, 2019

Priced displayed in the currency you ask on the top right button then they switch to US without telling you when you are doing the booking. When you receive confirmation you have to go all the way down down down the email to see that you have been charged in US. $900 dollar late. You have been con. NO THANK. No good enough.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Hi, I do appreciate that price is reasonable good. But when I bought ticket my debit card was charged. Then after 3 days the same debit card was charge again!!! I wrote to service chat next day. No sorry at all, just pointed me to billing department. I wrote an email same day to billing department asking to return money as soon as possible as I need those money.. It is now 3rd day after I was charge twice and no contact from this company and no money back.. I feel as was robbed. Other thing. There was possibility to choose seats, but for additional price. I checked carrier website, and choose those seats for free no charge at all!!! Ricardas

Original review: May 16, 2019

My experience was great, customer service was great, I have health issues and have difficulties doing things online so the representative was very patient and kind. I will definitely use CheapOair again. I will definitely recommend them to friends and family.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Thought I was making reservation from SMF to PSP for 6/9/19, instead reservation when made and written in stone, was for a different date and destination, (6/10/19, LAX). Had to call and pay more to get a different ticket. Substituting a different day and destination is not cool!!! Let the buyer beware!!! I am going by car to SFO, so am taking my granddaughter there to fly out the next day to ONT rather than the preferred PSP..

Original review: May 15, 2019

Needed to make changes on my flight. They was very helpful. Made my day. Thank you all again. I would and recommended friends and family to choose this airline. The wait time was not long. Even when I had to be transfer to another department I was not on hold long.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 14, 2019

Beware this provider. They do not tell you the real, actual complete price until after they require your credit card information. After booking a round trip flight with my wife, they informed that the one checked bag and one carry on bag would cost an extra $328. If I had known this I never would have booked the flight. Also they added a $60 admin fee that was never mentioned until after my credit card was charged.

CheapOair response

Most airlines charge for baggage except for Southwest but they may not be available in your area and can be more expensive than your low cost carriers like Spirit or Frontier. The baggage tab is located directly beneath the flight options on the flight page to view prior to making a purchase, you can also check airline sites for baggage details as well. Our service fee is mentioned in our terms and conditions and is included in the total purchase price, and we do advise that you will be billed in multiple transactions.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 13, 2019

I don't usually write a review, but this time I think it's worth mentioning. I had been CheapOair's customer since about 2010. I bought many tickets with them and everything was fine because I never needed help until recently. I booked 2 tickets to New Jersey for me and my husband in April 2019, but just one week before our departure, Wow Air went bankrupt and our flights were canceled. I contacted CheapOair customer service and they told me to contact the airline. I was confused coz I bought the tickets through their website and CheapOair processed my payment. I thought they would help me contact Wow Air and get some answer for me. So I contacted Wow Air and they said it would take 90 days. I wasn't pleased with customer service, but I didn't take it serious.

While waiting for the refund, I booked 2 new tickets to the same destination. 5 days before our departure, I got a reminder email from CheapOair. I went through the itinerary and found that my first name was on both of the tickets! (My husband's middle and last name were correct). I contacted CheapOair immediately. First customer service insisted there was nothing he could do. He said name change was not allowed in any case. He said it was my fault I put the wrong name at the time of the booking. I argue that I didn't type my own name twice. It doesn't make sense. In fact, I didn't even have to type anything. I bought tickets with them so often I only had to check the box to choose who's flying.

What strange is his middle and last name were correct (we have the same last time of course). I suggested that it might be malfunction of the website. The staff raised his voice and said "Do not find fault in the system!" and kept going on and on without listening to a word I said. I made a comment: " So you don't think there's a possibility there's an error on the system?" He said no, and insisted there's nothing he could do and suggested that I had to buy new tickets. I said you won't even try to contact the airline?. He raised his voice again and said the airline wouldn't allow the name correction. I was so furious. He kept telling me to buy new tickets instead of trying to help me.

I asked to speak to supervisor. He was polite and said he just spoke to the airline and airline said they don't allow correction. It was a lie! Because I sent a message to the airline's Facebook page and they said I just had to contact CheapOair and CheapOair can just contact their TA. I called Cheapoair back again, had to re-tell the whole story, mentioned the name of supervisor, got transferred to his desk, waited for a long time just to find out he's too busy and assigned other staff to handle my case. Guess what? I had to, of course, re-tell the story again from the beginning, got transferred to other representative. The last one was willing to help. He tried to call the airline and said it's not possible coz the airline was closed long time ago (so the supervisor just literally lied to me coz he said he contacted the airline!).

I was told to call back the next day when the airline office operates. And at 2:30 AM, I gave up. In the morning I decided to contact the airline directly one more time, I explained the situation and told the airline staff that CheapOair wouldn't help at all and our flight was in 4 days. Airline staff couldn't believe CheapOair didn't even put an effort to try to help so she went ahead and correct the name for a small fee. It was such a relief. At this point, I'm so disappointed in their customer service and I will never ever book anything with CheapOair again! I'll definitely take my business somewhere else!

CheapOair expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CheapOair was founded in New York City in 2005 to help travelers book flights, hotel rooms and rental cars. About 20 million people visit the website each month.

• Exclusive deals: CheapOair can offer exclusive deals because it has agreements with over 450 airlines around the world.

• Customer services: CheapOair has strong customer services and an extensive FAQ section to help users find the services they need.

• Vacation packages: CheapOair bundles flights, hotels and car rentals to help travelers save money.

• Price guarantee: The company offers a best price guarantee that will match lower prices offered by other travel sites.

• Customer care: CheapOair's 24/7 customer service won the 2014 International Service Excellence Award.

• IATAN and ASTA certified: Industry certifications tell consumers that CheapOair has met industry standards for quality and customer service.

• Best for: Domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs