It's that easy Request Information
2.89/5
Based on 844 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We understand that traveling can be a hassle. With CheapOair, it doesn't have to be. Our site allows travelers to easily access multiple quotes from hundreds of hotels, airlines, cruise lines and car rental companies to ensure that each customer finds a deal that best accommodates their travel needs.

CheapOair strives to provide the best customer service to our customers to help you through your booking experience. Should you encounter any bumps along the way, our team will be here to provide the best care and support.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

5138 CheapOair Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

I fly a lot around the world and used to use CheapOair for all my needs. It used to be a "done deal" once I found the flight that was right for my schedule and my wallet. Unfortunately I cannot say the same anymore. What now happens every time after I find the desired flight and finish filling out the personal info and click "pay": the system tells me that the flight is sold out, but "fortunately" they have a different flight for only $600 more! With today's computer technology (which I deal with for living), their ridiculous claims about the website's need to "refresh" is such bogus. I just booked the flights for myself and my children to go to Europe, and the same thing happened with 3 flights in a row. This is simply NO coincidence. This is clearly an intentional way for the company to collect more money and not an honest one. Very unfortunate to ruin a good website with a scam like this.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

When I use my debit card to purchase, they want to call my bank to verify but the bank does not want to give the customers' information to another third party so they decide not to authorize my payment. They either have a very unusual verification policy or they are a scam.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 17, 2018

I purchase a flight on CheapOair. I went cancel flight in a hour and I was told there would be a 50$ fee I would of canceled then I thought about it and 7 hours later I choose to canceled... But when I called the agent informed me since I had waited 6 hours there would be a charge of $50 dollars. I was like wait... So when I called 1 hour later there was not a fee. He said yes. I asked why I was told that. He asked if the agent had a uranium accent and if they were on their time zone... I was what the heck?? I canceled anyway and called and complained and all I got was there was a fee regardless crap!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 16, 2018

I booked a flight for 07/20/2018. And I was offered $285, within a few seconds, if I change the date to 7/17/18 or 7/19/18, which I chose 7/19/18, but the date changed to 7/17/18 without $285 discount. Which I declined and made a call to keep my original booking. And what surprised me is that I can't keep my original booking. If I want to cancel I have to pay $50 dollars or to keep my original I have to pay additional $135 dollars, since I have to worst choice. I chose $135. However, I did not get what I paid for, but stuck with 07/17/2018 and robbed $135 dollars. Later, after another call and complain the next day able to cancel for $50 dollars and $15.95 service fee. I was told to expect additional fee from the airline and may not get the full refund. What a service!!

Original review: June 16, 2018

Everything seems to be going ok at the moment. Flight 06/18/2018 - 06/26/2018. Don't know what will happen at JFK. I have been using this service for the past 14 years without any problem, I expect no problem on this flight.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CheapOair?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 16, 2018

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM CHEAPOAIR. Before you shop carefully from the airline's website! CheapOair's price was $99.95 more expensive than United Airlines' website! I requested a refund within 24 hours, but was DENIED! BAD BUSINESS on both our parts! I purchased airline tickets three days ago, although I did receive confirmation of my purchase, I have not yet been able to print my tickets! WHERE ARE MY AIRLINE TICKETS!

CheapOair response

Hastings, the tickets are electronic so you will not receive a paper ticket and there is no ticket to print. The email we sent you explained that 24 hours prior to departure you go onto the airlines website United, and checkin, and print boarding passes to get through security. Also, the difference is $88.95 taxes and fees, and you chose to select seat assignments which was an additional $14.95, which we will refund. Airlines offer web fares at times that can only be found on their website.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I'm in tears to read these reviews of all the astronomical fees you're charged to rebook a ticket. I wanted to visit my ailing brother but unfortunately I witnessed a man jump to his death at my job and have been traumatized causing major back problems and leg problems. On top of that we've had 3 deaths in the family. So this trip had to be postponed and even though the $100 Cancellation fee was waived there is a $200 per ticket rebooking fee. This is beyond disbelief.

They charged an $88 additional fee that no one could tell us where it came from but fortunately within a couple of days it was refunded to my husband's account. This is just too many fees and I will never book through this company again and I only hate that now we're not gonna be able to use the tickets so that's $584 and disappointment to our 15 yr old Daughter who was looking for to her 1st flight and to see her Uncle hopefully before he passed... They say you get what you pay for and trying to get a discounted ticket we get all these fees and NO TRIP... WOW.

Updated on 06/19/2018: I am a certified reviewer and certified purchaser. Now they have me as factual basis uncertain... WOW. Can this get any worse? Now they want to say I didn't make this purchase and it's unreal??? Come on!!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Booking - The representative that initially took my call was not honest with me. I was charged an additional $100 for something I didn't request. Getting help was not easy either. It was a stressful experience. After being on the phone over 2 hrs I got some help. This took up my day.

Original review: June 13, 2018

It was a pleasure to talk to Matrix, the representative who helped me, because there was a problem with the system and he was very nice helping me to get my tickets. Will recommend my friends. In fact I already recommended some friends who will travel with me. Thank you.

Original review: June 13, 2018

The agent, Stewart, was very professional, asked the right questions and took his time to listen and customized the flight for my children to come visit in a shorter time and, still, at a reasonable price. Great experience, very happy and will continue doing business with CheapOair. Great job!

Original review: June 12, 2018

We booked our round trip flight from Toronto to NYC via CheapOair and purchased their flight insurance. Our cruise ship was to dock by 8 am and our return flight was booked for 3:55 pm. Due to bad weather, our ship was delayed and we missed our return flight. Because of 3rd party booking, the cost to re-schedule our Air Canada flight home was more than if we booked a new flight. We ended up having to pay $750 US in addition to what we had paid for our original flights. CheapOair did not offer any compensation or discount. The flight insurance that they sold us was worthless. It would have only covered us for "Weather that causes complete cessation of services of Your Common Carrier for at least 48 consecutive hours." 48 HRS?? Who tacks another 48 hrs onto their vacation? This means that you would need a 48 hr delay in a connecting flight to be covered? What a farce!

Original review: June 12, 2018

CheapOair are thieves taking people’s money. Since when is it ok to be charged $400 to change one letter in my first name on flight reservation? Absolutely disgusting by taking advantage of an innocent mistake. I used CheapOair before but never again. I will be sure to let consumers know via social media what they are doing to innocent people.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 11, 2018

In the end, I decided not to use this company anymore. This website is not a scam. It does sell real tickets that you can use. However, you will probably experience something unpleasant if you keep using this website more than just one time. The only good thing of this website is that it displays cheap tickets. However, if something happens and you have to change your ticket after 24 hours of your purchasing, your should just throw away the ticket. No good things are offered by this company.

Their cheap tickets are not refundable, even when I had to cancel the ticket due to their fault. They did not inform me about the relevant visa that I had to get just to transfer a country. I came to know about it on the depart day at the airport. So I could not get on the plane. The website has not noticed anything about it to me. But they said they could not refund the ticket. The insurance that they offers does not work unless the canceling is due to some natural disaster.

They suggest alternative tickets saying that they are cheapest ones. However, they are not the cheapest ones. Many times, I could find much better tickets from other websites. For example, they suggested 1300 dollars tickets as exchange tickets (I had to pay 1300 dollars on top of my initial ticket that is amount to 900 dollars) and the ticket was with multiple stops and with weird time of arrival. They said that is the best alternate. However, I could find a 800 dollar non-stop airplane ticket with a good arrival time within a second by just googling. So purchasing a new ticket via other websites was much cheaper and better than changing a ticket though this website.

They do not inform all charges when you try to change your ticket within 24 hours Unlike what they said on the phone, I could find out other additional charges on my credit cards later. They did not inform me about the ticket accurately. They said I have to transfer one time. However, actually there was another hidden stop not written clearly on the ticket about which I have not been informed. That was a very weird ticket that I had never got before. They have cheap but bad tickets.

CheapOair response

Very sorry for the inconvenience the customer experienced. However, our website does state in our terms and conditions that the tickets are mostly non refundable, but there are some tickets that are refundable. The terms of these tickets are mandated by the airlines, not the travel agencies, so we can only follow the rules put in place by that airline. We list underneath the flight she chose on our booking page a link to check for visa/passport needed for specific itins. If you book online, it is the responsibility of the customer to make sure they have the documents in order, again, we provided the link that appears was over looked.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 10, 2018

Flight-BWI-OAK - Week passed after booking and paying. Still no confirmation or itinerary. I found even cheaper flights but can't do anything about. The flight is in two weeks' time. Please check and send confirmation. It took me 25 minutes waiting through international call to finish and receiving OK by phone. Still no written confirmation.

Original review: June 8, 2018

They give me the flight I did not want. I had to pick a different flight and they make me pay $75.00 dollars for the change. I think I will not use your services again. Refund please my 75.00 dollar. Thanks.

Insufficient response received
Original review: June 8, 2018

I hardly ever book travel through third party services since you really don't save any money, and there are no guarantees for refunds if your plans fall through for whatever reason. But unfortunately, the air travel I was trying to plan seemed to only be available through third party (due I am guessing to timing, layovers, multiple carriers, etc etc etc whatever...), I just could not find my desired itinerary offered through any of the major airlines directly, so I decided to roll the dice and take a chance with CheapOair. And guess what? Yes, two months before the trip was to take place, I had to cancel my plans due to being diagnosed with a chronic health condition that would require major surgery, with specific instructions from my physician not to travel anytime in the immediate future!

OK, so I began the long and arduous process of contacting both CheapOair and American Airlines (who my ticket was generated through despite there being 2 other airlines involved in this round trip fare) many, many MANY times being shoved back and forth between the two companies. Because I booked through a third party service, AA could not cancel with a refund regardless of my situation, but that CheapOair would be able to. But then CheapOair said since the funds were already processed and given to AA, they could not cancel with a refund, but AA would be able to. Spoke with multiple levels of authority with both companies, in the end just sucked it up and took the travel credit for up to one year.

I finally got around to booking another trip with that credit, but after all of the transfer fees (which were charged when I cancelled the trip and then again when I rebooked), it ended up costing more than what the original ticket was as well as the new ticket so I basically had to eat that $438.00 original ticket + 150.00 cancel/transfer fees + 86.00 balance for new trip in total. That's big business for you, I guess.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: June 8, 2018

Beware of this. They advertised flight with reasonable price. You go and book it (this is one step process and you giving them your credit card). Something goes wrong (in my case the page does not accept my 13 years son neither as adult or child - should be younger than 12 or older than 18) web page asks you to call. You do, they tell you one of the flight is not available with Air France in my case but they can book same flight with KLM but with much higher price. :) If you try to cancel flight in the permitted period there is a penalty $75 per person and you will be waiting on the phone for cancellation department forever.

Original review: June 6, 2018

CheapOair used to be a fine online travel agent. I haven't booked within them in a while so I decided to book an intra-European one way ticket today. Within 10 minutes, I decided to cancel the ticket in order to rebook a different one with checked luggage. Now you have to call them to request a refund. I was shocked when they told me a $50 penalty/fee would be applied. I explained simply to them that SAS, in fact all airlines operating in and to the US, has to cancel for free within 24 hours, per US DOT regulations. How would I book with them in the future knowing that I would be penalized for canceling when I can just book directly with the airline and cancel for free? How are they planning to stay in business?

The agent put me on hold and came back with a 50% discount. The penalty is now $25. I said "Sorry but that won't do." The agent put me on hold again and came back with free cancellation. We'll see. As long as you're OK with paying a big penalty for canceling, go ahead and book with CheapOair. But why do that if you can book directly with the airlines and cancel for free? I'm afraid CheapOair may not stay in business for long. Please be very careful.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I booked a flight for myself from Dublin to Edinburgh and for my cousin from London to Edinburgh. Before I left Canada for Dublin, I tried to check in online but it says: Flight is not found. So I called CheapOair help desk and the man answered, I explained my situation telling them that my Flight is not found. He told me not to worry because my ticket is booked and he pointed out to me my E-Ticket, the Airline Confirmation Number and their Booking Confirmation Number which is really showing on the E-Ticket printout. But when I tried to check in online again while I was in my Dublin hotel, it is still giving me the same Error Message “We are sorry, we could not find your booking...”

I sent them numerous message but no answer. I tried to contact their 1-888 271-2966 - the call just ENDED just like that! One message that I sent was replied by postmaster@fareportal.com saying, “Your message to cheapoair@cheapoair.ca couldn't be delivered. CheapOair wasn't found at cheapoair.ca.” The next day, the day of my flight schedule, I received a message from my cousin, she was at the check-in desk in the airport of London, Ryanair is not recognizing her flight bookings. Then next me, at the Dublin Airport, I have to pay another booking because I really didn’t have a flight booked! Ridiculous... CheapOair is such a scam!

Original review: June 5, 2018

The gentleman that took care of my flight was very kind and made sure that we were on the same page. We went over the spelling of everything to make the reservations were correct and all policies and procedures were understood! GREAT EXPERIENCE!

Original review: June 4, 2018

Because of the complicated nature of our trip to Armenia and Kososo with the two of us coming from different locations in the US, it was necessary to talk to a representative. He was very helpful and we are extremely please with the results... the plan for travel is perfect!

Original review: June 4, 2018

If anyone is booking a airline flight never never use CheapOair for booking. They are worst that crooks. If you ever get a credit for a airline ticket they will jack up the price. Always book with the airlines. You will get a better deal. I had $820.00 for a credit and when I went to use it for a round trip ticket they up the price for me and exert $1020.00 for the credit included $400 for rebooking fee for a total of $1820.00 in which I could have booked a ticket with the airline directly for $1020.00. They said that it was their policy. I guess I will lose that credit but I can assure I will never never use that crooked CheapOair again.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Purchased tickets for family vacation. Also insurance if need to cancel in case of emergency. My daughter got sick and we have to cancel the flight. CheapOair did not cancel my flight and didn't give refund. I lost $2000. Beware, this company is scamming people. Their cheap flights will cost you more if you will run into the situation. Use other more respectful companies. I hope they will go bankrupt.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I was looking for a flight to Las Vegas but every time I opened a website it shows that it was already full, then I check on CheapOair, and It shows the same. I was ready to close the Web when somebody called me from this site and told me that he could help me to book it. I was so happy. Unfortunately I can't remember his name but I'm so thankful to him because he did a very good job.

Original review: May 30, 2018

This is the second time I have used CheapOair, and I could not be happier. Everyone working there is always eager to help and get you the best fare available. Would and do recommend to my friends. Thanks CheapOair!

Original review: May 29, 2018

I booked a flight in January for May. The day before I was to fly home, I received an email confirming my flight and asking me to check in. I could not check in via the email so went directly to the airline, where I learned my flight had been cancelled in February. CheapOair had been notified and had response positively to the change on my behalf, but not informed me. I was now at the airport with no way home. CheapOair claimed it was the air carriers fault and they should make new accommodations, the air carrier claimed the same. Long story short, CheapOair contacted the air carrier and booked a new flight for the next day. I am out rental car, a day of lost wages and hotel cost which they say they will not reimburse me for. I credit them for getting me rebooked, and their rep. Hanna was accommodating, but I would not use them or recommend them.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I booked 2 tickets to Europe at the advertised price of about $650.00 per ticket. There was only one ticket at this price. The agent then booked my wife at the next highest rate of $1,300 + and did not tell me that there was not a second ticket available at $650.00 making a total cost of around $2,000.00. There were plenty of tickets at $750.00 on other airlines making a total of $1,500.00. CheapOair tricked me out of $500.00.

Original review: May 29, 2018

The young man who helped was the best person I have ever had help me with reservations. He took all the time I needed to get the time I needed to leave and come back. It was the best experience I have ever had.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Left on hold for fifteen minutes. Someone could have said something. This is unacceptable. I expect more from profession. There in a way to do anything, if you want to bring more people in. Word of mouth is a good advertisement, Treat people like you want be treated. Do unto other as you want be treat.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I booked a USD 1800 ticket only because of the itinerary to make my flight short and they changed it and the new one asked me to stay 8 hours at an airport after I paid the full fare. The only reason why I booked this flight and paid that amount was to have the shortest itinerary possible. After I paid and flew to my destination they just randomly decided to change me to an earlier time that actually was priced $500 less when I booked my initial flight. These people are thieves and liars, such a shame what this company has become. I'm making a lawsuit. Totally unethical company.

CheapOair expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CheapOair was founded in New York City in 2005 to help travelers book flights, hotel rooms and rental cars. About 20 million people visit the website each month.

• Exclusive deals: CheapOair can offer exclusive deals because it has agreements with over 450 airlines around the world.

• Customer services: CheapOair has strong customer services and an extensive FAQ section to help users find the services they need.

• Vacation packages: CheapOair bundles flights, hotels and car rentals to help travelers save money.

• Price guarantee: The company offers a best price guarantee that will match lower prices offered by other travel sites.

• Customer care: CheapOair's 24/7 customer service won the 2014 International Service Excellence Award.

• IATAN and ASTA certified: Industry certifications tell consumers that CheapOair has met industry standards for quality and customer service.

• Best for: Domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs