2.88/5
Based on 915 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We understand that traveling can be a hassle. With CheapOair, it doesn't have to be. Our site allows travelers to easily access multiple quotes from hundreds of hotels, airlines, cruise lines and car rental companies to ensure that each customer finds a deal that best accommodates their travel needs.

CheapOair strives to provide the best customer service to our customers to help you through your booking experience. Should you encounter any bumps along the way, our team will be here to provide the best care and support.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 20, 2018

5005 CheapOair Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

Had to cancel original reservation due to a medical emergency so went to re-schedule a month later. The gentleman who helped me was patient and kind. He answered my questions and helped me to get the flights I wanted along with seat assignments. Thank you!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had a wonderful experience booking my flight. The agent was extremely helpful. Everything he explained was accurate. I had no problems with the travel and the flights were excellent. I would definitely recommend CheapOair and would use it again.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Had a few problems with Airline changes but was aided by your rep to correct the problem. Good Job! We were happy with the savings re- our trip and the manner in which the staff handled everything on a timely basis.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Sorry to say my first time using CheapOair was not good. Booked two business class tickets to Munich from JFK, later was told that due to a computer glitch it was premium economy class even though I had a confirmation saying business class. After about three hours on the phone the best I could get was a refund and had to rebook with another airline.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I purchased airline tickets from CheapOair for me and my wife. I made an honest mistake and her first name Kathleen and put the LH transpose the letters and now they want to charge me $75 because of an honest mistake. I’m not changing the passenger name. I’m changing two letters of the same passenger. I feel that is unfair in they will give me no help at all. Called them three times for help or they kept saying was $75 and then we can help. I feel the company should resolve this little problem since the airline already change my return flight to a later time. Also the flight is seven months away. I feel that’s long enough to change the ticket.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CheapOair?

Original review: April 16, 2018

It’s tough to get help making a reservation, you have to do most of this online now. CheapOair provides a good service. They helped me to save money and I feel confident flying United. It was a good experience for me and I feel confident.

Original review: April 15, 2018

They charge $75 for cancellation or reschedule, not free within 24 hours as advertised. Within half hour after my booking, I found out that I need to change the date. There was no change or cancel buttons on the booking site, I had to call them.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Unfortunately I had a very bad experience with CheapOair this time, I did pay for Enhanced Seat Assignment. Included taxes they charged $243.50. After I get confirmation from them the seat they give to us was not liked we selected from begin. I did contact to customer care and also airline, very stressful process (numbers of phone call, and email with them) and after they sent me $19.9 refund that it is not what I want. Please help us resolve this case problem, I'm hoping I still has trust in them and able to keep business with CheapOair in future.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Unable to select seats: No full refund within 15 minutes - I booked with CheapOair and was unable to select a seat through their website. When I called them they told me I could get an middle seat. I asked about using the ticket purchase for a new ticket and they couldn't help me. Orbitz allows full cancellations within 24 hours. CheapOair said the cancellation fee was $75.00 and that it is written in SMALL letters on the payment page. The supervisor said it was in SMALL letters. Lol. I am never booking with CheapOair again.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Months ago I booked My dream vacation with CheapOair. I was very excited to be able to book business class for such a long trip from SFO to be BKK. When booking my trip I purposely looked for flights with no more than one stop. I found and purchased a ticket for one stop each way. I booked and confirmed my seat assignments with my spouse for all flights. In booking my trip I purposely looked for flights with no more than one stop. I found and purchased a ticket for one stop each way. I booked confirmed my seat assignments with my spouse for all legs of our trip. I was very excited to receive everything I wanted in a flight through CheapOair. However on March 7 at 9:59 am I received an email from CheapOair stating that my scheduled flight had been changed and due to the fact that another stop was added in my return trip home that I would be required to get a transit visa for my spouse and I.

The email gave me the option to book another flight with a single stop, to get the visa or to cancel my reservations. Knowing that my spouse may have a problem getting a visa I quickly called CheapOair and asked the customer service agent about the email. He looked up the email and looked at my flight and apologized and said the email was sent by mistake. I asked him repeatedly if he was sure and I asked why that email would be generated to me if it was untrue. I asked over and over and over again that there would be no issue that will require my husband to get A visa. He assured me over and over and over again that my returning flight would only have one stop in China. I left the conversation feeling very secure that his words were true.

Upon our return from Bangkok after checking into to the China Southern counter we sat down at our boarding gate. One of the other travelers told us that there was an added stop to our flight. We were shocked because we did not get that information from either China Southern Airlines or received any notification from CheapOair. We had hoped that maybe we weren’t getting off the plane and so there would be no issue. That was not the case. From Bangkok to our first stop in China things went fine. But once we got off the plane it was a nightmare.

We quickly made our way to security who redirected us to an immigration counter for transfers. Immediately our passports and about 15 others were taken from us with no explanation And when we try to ask questions we were very rudely interrupted and told to sit down until called. Treated like criminals! This is where we stayed for two hours until they return our passports and told us to continue with our transfer. After going through security. We were herded like cattle to our gate. When asked where we could find the first class lounge we were told by an airport employee that we did not have access to one. We asked if there was somewhere we can get food or drink. We were told we do not have access to any. Mind you overall our layover was five hours and 45 minutes. Mind you also the reason we purchased business class tickets was to have access to lounges during these long layovers.

Finally after hours of waiting with no food or drinks we boarded our flight to our second stop and China. Upon boarding the aircraft we were shown to our business class seats that were not seated together. When we asked the flight attendant what was going on and showed her our confirmed seats she informed us that our confirmation was not for this flight that they had added. I explained to her that this was unacceptable that they added the flight to our itinerary without notifying us and that we were not sitting together. She shrugged her shoulders smiled and said it’s only an hour flight. I asked her if we would be sitting together from our final stop in China to San Francisco. She assured us that we would be.

As we arrive to our final destination in China we boarded our final flight and of course we were not sitting together again. We talk to the flight attendant and she after some convincing moved us to a joining seats. We arrive safely in San Francisco but very irritated and anxious. Not at all what we expected from a business class flight.

These are my concerns with CheapOair. Obviously CheapOair knew about this flight change and the added stop in China because I received an email stating that it was going to happen. Why when I called the agent told me that it was a mistake email and that there would be no changes to our flight. Was he lying or just ill-informed? Had we not been told that everything would be OK by your agent and that there were no additional stops in China I would have changed my flight to a one-stop flight and not had to go through this nightmare of getting a visa.

I also would not put in a position where I was without food and drink for five hours and 45 minutes. It is without doubt that CheapOair has to take responsibility for this nightmare of a trip. Had your agent not advise me to keep my trip the way it was and told me that everything would be OK I would’ve simply changed my itinerary to fit my needs. I fully expect to be compensated through CheapOair for the nightmare that I endured.

Please know that I am a very frequent flyer as is my extended family of about 30. We have often use CheapOair to book our flights. I would hope that you value us as customers enough to take care of this issue. I called customer service last week and spoke to an agent named Spencer. He informed me that all calls are recorded. I’m very happy to hear that so that a supervisor can review those calls and confirm my testimony. I have not heard anything from CheapOair except for a short email saying my complaint was forwarded to a supervisor.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Very nice, no serious problems, I took the flight and room special. Linda ** and Lisa ** daughter. Just hope the Stratosphere is not too much of the younger people, maybe I would have been better with Circus Circus. Been there many times, however the agent gave me his best choice was Stratosphere, but as I said, I am 72, and daughter 50, so hope it's not too loud or too many young wild people. Circus Circus was where I stayed last 3 times, was not bad at loud or too many young people more family orientated, Thank you.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I called CheapOair with some questions and received excellent service by telephone from "Alan" (I believe that was his name). Also, when I booked my flights online I discovered a problem. I called customer service and was able to change my itinerary for a small fee.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I booked tickets for me and husband on March 31 to fly roundtrip. When I was booking I choose flight back April 10 11 P.M., I got hotel and car too. I received the confirmation e-mail. I used CheapOair many times before and was 100% sure that everything is ok. After I arrived to San Fransisco April 8th, I looked at the ticket back and saw that my and my husband's flight will be April 10th at 0645 in the morning, which won't suit me at all, 'cause we needed to be in town for the day. I don't know how it happened, because I chose flight for that day but for the evening. I called customer service, explained the situation but got an answer that I got what I chose, that there is no way anything is wrong and that they can fix it only if I will pay $400 for rebooking and that it was more than a week since I booked it so I should know better.

I explained again that I used to trust CheapOair and used to recommend this website to everyone as very reliable that's why I thought I got what I paid for. I spoke to the manager too but he told me the same: $400 and tickets will be rebooked. The only thing they offered was a discount of $40. I know, that I chose tickets to fly back April 10th at 11 P.M. from, SFO to PDX, I saw it and my husband saw it too. There is no way I would chose tickets to fly April 10 at 0645 a.m., since we needed to be at SFO for the day. There was probably a glitch in the system or something and company wouldn't accept it. They just want money no matter what. I will never use CheapOair again.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Kianna is a wonderful agent. She was very, very helpful. She assisted me as much as she could even though I know it had to have been hard for her to keep that smile in her voice when she dealt with my mother, who helped pay. (A VERY challenging person). Another gentleman helped but I don't know his name. Thank you all for your amazing professionalism.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Cancel your flight for "free" but subject to service cancellation fees of $50 a ticket. I booked my flights through my phone, put in the dates I wanted to depart and arrive, the flights that came up showed departure time and arrival times, but what was not too apparent were the dates you actually arrived at your destination (i.e. Wanted departure for 7/20, flight showed up as depart at 8:10 pm---> arrive 11:20pm). I took that as same day, realized after I got my confirmation email that it was actually an arrival for the next day at 11:20 pm, apparently there was a full day layover (going both ways).

Never had this happen before and I've used CheapOair quite a few times in the past with no issues, and great service. Called to cancel since the reason I searched for those days was because I needed to be at my destination on those days (not the next) and was informed of the cancellation fee which I was directed back to the bottom of the home page to view. $150 in cancellation fees - $50 per ticket.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2018

I book with CheapOair frequently. I booked a flight under my own name and then realized I could not travel as anticipated. I booked a second ticket for my colleague to go in my place. I asked CheapOair to give me a credit with THEM so that I could use it for a future trip. CheapOair would not give me such a credit with THEM even though I travel to Atlanta and New York City frequently. I don't believe this is the way to treat a valued customer. In fact, I do not feel valued at all. Therefore, I will use a different booking agent in the future.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I tried to book a flight with Orbitz and their price was $241. I then went to CheapOair and booked the same flight on the same plane and their price was $126.60. I will book through CheapOair from now on, I am glad that I checked them out before I paid Orbitz.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Resolution response: April 12, 2018

They called me, resolved the issue and refunded.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Booking a flight from Istanbul to Rome with CheapOair was absolutely the worst experience I've ever had with a travel agent! They are just dishonest and mislead their clients. Before booking a flight they assure you that cancelation is free up to 24 hours. But this is not the truth. The truth is that this online travel agent is the king of hidden fees. So when you cancel a flight within 24 hours they simply charge you $75 as cancelation fees! It's ridiculous! Cancelation is free but you have to pay $75! After they charged me $75 I called customer service to get help. Customer service is terrible. It's not U.S based and they are very rude. Finally, I had to call my bank and dispute.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I'm not very "computer proficient" so tend to avoid websites. I'm glad I tried this one however. CheapOair was easy to navigate and use. They were able to book a direct flight for LESS money than the one I was trying to book directly with another airline! I definitely will use them again.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I am happy with the way they handle my reservation. The way l was approach and everything by the representatives were professional and hotel bookings and so forth is excellent and hope to recommend my friends to you in future.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Due to emergency I had to cancel this flight and rebook another leaving sooner. CheapOair told me for $100 that I could cancel and I would be given a credit to use on American Airlines a year from my original booking date. I have the confirmation email stating all the conditions. Today I called to use the credit and was told that I would have to re-book from the same departing location which was China at the time that I first booked. What, I am not in China anymore and if that was the requirement then that should have been told to me.

Needless to say I am out 1k as they refuse to re-book and American said that they should have told me that and it should have been disclosed to the buyer before cancellation. I am going dispute this with my cc as this is simply robbery and should be against the law. To be told that I should buy a ticket to China so I can home back to Texas is the only way I can use my ticket, what! Had they been upfront then I would have had to do something different than giving them 1,000 to cancel the initial booking. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I was making a reservation online, thought it had gone through, but wasn't able to complete. I called the toll free number listed and was able to complete my reservation. I prefer to do it myself, but I would not hesitate to "speak to a real person" after calling. Very professional, competent and detail oriented. Thank you.

Original review: April 10, 2018

DO NOT BE DECEIVED BY THE POSITIVE REVIEWS ON THIS SITE. We are military! My wife just purchased tickets just yesterday night @ 8pm, I asked her to ask them 4 times if we would receive all of our money back in the event we needed to change, they said yes. We were on speakerphone. Before we made the purchase, I took the phone from her and asked if we would be able to get our money back if we canceled, he told us as long as we do it before the 24 hour period. This morning we attempted to cancel because we needed to, which I suspected we might, and they told my wife who is military too that they would keep 50 dollars per person. That is not what they told us or informed us when I asked. CheapOAir is deceptive, do NOT book with CheapO! You will regret it.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Ron was very helpful in finding a convenient flight for us. He was courteous & accurate. He called me back as promised and gave us good advice regarding travel protection. I would recommend CheapOair in the future to my friends.

Original review: April 10, 2018

A friendly reminder that please don’t book tickets from this airline. They rip off people by charging money. I booked two return tickets from my family for India and they charged almost $2000. 1 day and half they send me an email that flight got canceled and the trip was for 10 days. They offer a flight with only 6 days trip. The customer services was very very bad and not helpful. They only said about refunding tickets or the flight they gave me. The refund will take almost a month and there was no accommodation done for flight on the same day. The staff had no proper information.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I booked a one way flight for May 2, 2018, only to find out 7 hrs after confirming the flight ticket, that I would have to push that date out to May 21, 2018. Upon calling CheapOair, they changed it for an additional cost of $159 which seems like a "money grab" because in all likelihood this change would cost CheapOair absolutely nothing. No regular in-person Travel Agent would charge such a huge fee.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I had to go to a funeral in Chicago. And it turned out to be spring break during my return ticket home which I hadn't purchased. Your company found me a seat... with great relief... Funerals are stressful enough. And your company came through for me.

Original review: April 8, 2018

This is my very first experience with your company. So my experience is all new. A friend of mine said I would be charged for each piece of baggage. That was not discussed with me by the person who handled my reservation. So we'll have a better opinion after I return.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I am writing to complain about CheapOair command their level of customer service. I am incredibly frustrated with their lack of empathy in response to the fact that I had to cancel/postpone a trip due to medical reasons last year. They charged me a penalty fee to reinstate my ticket and now they are not willing to reinstate my ticket again due to the fact that I had to postpone again due to my wife having to have her pacemaker fixed. NEVER WILL I DO BUSINESS WITH CheapOair.com again and I will make sure that NONE of my friends do business with you either.

Original review: April 7, 2018

You guys are despicable. You sold my phone number to marketers, everything on my ticket you confirmed was not. You did not give Alaska Air special instructions for my invalid mother. I will give as many bad reviews as I find places to do so. Worst company I ever found.

CheapOair expert review by ConsumerAffairs

CheapOair was founded in New York City in 2005 to help travelers book flights, hotel rooms and rental cars. About 20 million people visit the website each month.

• Exclusive deals: CheapOair can offer exclusive deals because it has agreements with over 450 airlines around the world.

• Customer services: CheapOair has strong customer services and an extensive FAQ section to help users find the services they need.

• Vacation packages: CheapOair bundles flights, hotels and car rentals to help travelers save money.

• Price guarantee: The company offers a best price guarantee that will match lower prices offered by other travel sites.

• Customer care: CheapOair's 24/7 customer service won the 2014 International Service Excellence Award.

• IATAN and ASTA certified: Industry certifications tell consumers that CheapOair has met industry standards for quality and customer service.

• Best for: Domestic and international travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs