3.5/5 (815 ratings)

About Hotels.com

Hotels.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: May 19, 2022

I'll include my story, but I agree with everyone who already left a negative review. I feel like they are committing fraud. I originally tried to move the dates booked on a hotel to one day later. The hotel said it is simple & would be fine, but I have to make the transaction through Hotels.com, which makes perfect sense since that's where I originally booked the hotel. I contacted a rep from Hotels.com on the phone who moved the dates for me & asked if a $7.89 charge would be acceptable for the night differential. I agreed knowing the hotel might cost a few bucks more on that specific night. The charge turned out to be $78.90 instead of $7.89. He would not fix "his mistake."

Then the problem just got worse. I already paid for the hotel in full, then this extra charge. I started getting very angry & I asked to speak with a manager, but the rep denied me access with a manager! He told me "it's a 4-hour wait for a manager & trust me, you don't want to wait that." I told him I would wait as this is a matter of principle now. He still denied access. The rep then said "just between me & you," I'll offer you a coupon for $100, but you have to re-pay the full price of the hotel now. His math made no sense & I didn't want him to charge anything anymore!! "I just want that small refund from your original mistake."

I called back 10 more times, spoke with 10 different reps, none who were stationed in this country, and ALL reps would not let me speak with a manager! They blatantly just said no! In one phone call, I heard chickens & roosters in the background. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. Nonetheless, the issue was never fixed & I feel like I was taken advantage of. I'm now going through my bank to have the charge reversed. In 20 years with my bank, I have never once filed a dispute. This sucks.

Original review: May 19, 2022

We booked a resort on 4/27/2022 and paid $703 and paid in full for a 2 night stay on 5/15/22 to 5/17/2022. Hotel said bill was $563. We were overcharged $119 and Hotel.com said, "Oh well," and refused to refund difference. I am reporting them to BBB and FTC for fraud!!!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2022

Hotels.com is the biggest scam. I have booked through them several times so that I could earn their free hotel night. After booking through them several times, I was finally almost to my rewards and they conveniently made my booking such a mess that I ended up paying for an extra room that I didn't need. If you call, no one knows how to speak your language clearly (that's a win for them as well). Pretty much, I was taken advantage of and instead of a free night I'm paying them an extra $50. Thanks Hotels. com. After I paid them, I cancelled my other bookings, deleted their app and I will NEVER BOOK THROUGH THEM AGAIN.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I will never use Hotels.com again, or any of Expedia.com‘s other subsidiary companies. Last summer, Hotels.com sold me two rooms (some work colleagues and I had a leg of our flight cancelled) and when we got to the hotel they did not have any rooms available; both Hotels.com and the hotel refused to refund us for rooms they couldn’t provide, saying they were non-refundable rooms. But again, we never got the rooms. The complete incompetence and unwillingness to help was outrageous. We were left stranded overnight in SLC. I spent months writing emails and making phone calls while never getting any help, or seeing a dime of refund for hotel rooms we paid for, let alone any compensation for our terrible inconvenience and all the trouble we went to get help with the matter. Both the hotel and Hotels.com blamed each other and neither of these giant corporations cared enough about their customers to make it right. It remains unresolved still.

Original review: May 18, 2022

Using Hotel.com was a big mistake. We got given the worst room at the property which I was very disappointed with as I was staying there for a week. It is the worst holiday I had ever had I was bitterly disappointed. If those bastards were clear on the room I was getting I would not have chosen that one. I worked very hard for my money and didn't won that holiday in a competition. I would never ever use bloody hotels.com as long as I live. You are nasty and misleading. I hope that company will go out of business.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I made several hotel bookings with free cancellation option for a trip to Japan. Price went down later so I cancelled the bookings and rebook with the lower price. Then Hotels.com cancelled all my bookings without any explanation. Tried to contact them and got an answer of violating their terms of use. All the bookings included free cancellation. I don't understand why I couldn't cancel and rebook with a lower price. Will NEVER use this website again, not even its mother company Expedia!

Original review: May 17, 2022

Had to cancel European travel in 2019 as could not leave Australia for obvious reasons. Got most things refunded or vouchered, but Hotels.com was intransigence personified. Voucher could only be used at the same hotel, and was very limited with use-by dates. No other company involved in rearranging travel were as hard to contact, or as restrictive. Booking.com, Luxury Travel, Qantas, Singapore Airlines etc, etc, all SO much better. The only company behaving worse was SAS.

Original review: May 14, 2022

I'll try to make it short and to the point. 1. I booked through hotels.com, which showed free parking. 2. The hotel charged a convenience fee. When asked about it, the manager stated it was a fee to cover parking. 3. I called Hotels.com several times to ask for clarification and for a refund. 4. They did not offer a refund, instead I got a coupon that until now I have not been able to apply since it is not available at check-out when booking through their website or app. 5. I have called hotels.com serveral times to ask how I am supposed to apply the credit I have. They have not only been unhelpful but extremely rude (always keeping me on hold for extended periods of time until I give up and end the call or just hanging on me).

6. I am unable to apply the credit they promised, and they are unable to provide (verbally or through email) a code that I can apply when booking. 7. Again, the worst part is the customer service provided if you are lucky enough to get a representative to answer the call because they are always busy ... "Your call may be monitor ... We're experiencing longer than normal wait times". 8. Never booking at hotels.com again! Extremely frustrated and disatisfied with how their customer service representatives treated me.

Original review: May 7, 2022

We booked a room at Seashore Motel in Santa Monica CA. It was a booking that could be canceled supposedly. We had to cancel for medical readings snd contacted hotel 3 days in advance. They told us we had to do it through Hotels.com. I talked to a woman named Anna for 15 or so minutes at Hotels.com and was assured it would be taken care of and we would not be charged. I alerted my credit card. They were informed by Hotels.com that our cancellation would not be honored.

The front desk person had assured us the toons would get rented and I’m sure they were. But now my credit card has charged me $376 and we never used the room. Both Seashore Motel and Hotels.com lied to me. We got a room with a cancellation policy so this wouldn’t happen. We do not have this money to throw away on nothing. We are seniors on Fixed incomes with health issues. I feel we have been robbed. I will never use Hotels.com again or ever go to Seashore Motel. Shame on them scamming seniors

Original review: May 6, 2022

I used hotels.com to book a hotel in Tahiti for 3 weeks. So they booked the hotel, said the reservation was guaranteed, and charged my credit card for the full 3 week stay. Twenty minutes after I booked it, the hotel said those dates weren't available. I contacted the hotel, and I got the usual response- "You'll have to take it up with hotels.com." That's the problem with major bookers like Hotels.com. They enforce non-culpability.

Hotels.com author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

Hotels.com Company Information