1.16/5

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2406 Hotels.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This website is the worst. Predatory And, illegitimate. Against my better judgement, I was encouraged to book through them. They booked a hotel that had a similar name, similar address and similar room options - even after I stated the correct name, address and room type 3 times. I was made aware it was nonrefundable. Once I received the confirmation email - It was not the correct hotel. I immediately called; they offered no solution. I stayed on the phone for more than 1 hour to rectify this and also spoke to their superior. They told me not to bother calling the "wrongly" booked hotel. Basically, they get your Credit Card and provide it direct to the hotel and tell you they are following Hotel policy. They are following their OWN policy.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Do not use this company. I wish I had have read any review on the internet about them (averaging 1 star across the board). I booked a hotel on the AU site only to be charged in USD which additionally meant a currency transaction fee. Upon bringing this up with the company I was fed obligatory pre-filled replies with no solution and no offer for further help. This needs to be stopped by ACCC.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have used Hotels.com for the last 2 years and have had consistent success. I can compare available hotels quickly and easily. I also know I’m getting a good rate. I read many bad reviews here by people who do not pay attention to details - terms and conditions, added fees, etc - all of which are clearly spelled out. I also see complaints about deceiving images, but these are marketing pictures from the hotel. What do you expect? If it looks too good to be true, read the individual review for that hotel. If you had a bad experience with the hotel, write your own review. There is a link to Yelp on all of them. Nothing is hidden.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

The room we selected influenced by the photos isn't what we got. We paid an additional $30 for a family suite and got a 2 queen bed regular room with bunk beds squeezed into the corner. Tv didn't work, water wouldn't get warm and our thoughts wandered of the many ways the blood could have gotten all over the room. They say you get what you pay for, but we didnt even get the chance to experience that disappointment. If Time Warner got into the "hospitality" business it would be Hotels.com. It was their website where the initial misdirection began.

I booked my room in a section of the website where the photos were of rooms one wouldn't get. I thought requesting a refund on the upcharge alone, the difference between the suite shown and the actual room, was reasonable, they only offered credit. The agent admitted the error, assured is it wouldn't happen again and offered credit to our next booking in the exact amount i asked to be refunded. Why would I be duped into booking with them again when they were the source of the lie? Their attempt to weasel more money from me instead of addressing the issue was a sign of disrespect. They don't respect or appreciate the customer, they belittle them.

The "family suite" was not nearly suitable to house a family (actually Orange County Fire Department should check in on their occupancy limits), the hotel itself is dangerous. It is a haven for prostitutes and pimps. Look outside after 10 pm and you will see the many running cars waiting to escort the escorts. My children were surrounded by enforcers. Walk the halls. You'll hear the work. This place will put your family in danger and don't expect them or Hotels.com to care the slightest. I'll never be back or book through Hotels.com again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

My husband and I traveled to New England during 2017. We earned our free night by booking 10 nights through Hotel.com. During 2018 my husband battled cancer and was too sick to travel. He is doing great so I went on their site to book a weekend out of town. My free night had expired. They never sent a notice or email that I was going to lose it. I got online and was told there was nothing they could do. I feel like when you earn something it should remain in your account till you use it. They lost a good customer and I will never book through them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I just literally made a reservation through Hotels.com 20 minutes ago for Bryce Canyon Resort in Bryce Canyon, UTAH. I wanted to cancel 10 minutes after I made the reservation, because my friend booked another hotel. I call back hotel to cancel, they refer me to the third party (Hotels.com). They let me know that: "It's not our fault, this reservation is non-refundable, the hotel doesn't want to return the money." Now I get it, it is MY FAULT, for not reading down below before booking, but really? $145 gone to the hotel (they should at least change their bedspreads) and who knows what percentage goes to hotel.com from RIP-OFFS like this. I get it, everyone wants to make money, but this is more like "pay for your mistake" than anything else. I guess live and learn: never will I use a third party to book my hotels again. Shame on you Hotels.com and Bryce Canyon Resort for allowing these kind of unscrupulous practices.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Booked my 3 days stay at the Hilton Manhattan via Hotels.com - Big Mistake - When I checked in the receptionist told me that Expedia (Assuming they own Hotels.com) sent the booking to them as 2 days and a 1 day so 2 separate bookings were sent from them so that's how they were going to set me up at the hotel. I was exhausted so didn't think this mattered. I was advised that another person staying at the hotel also had this problem. After 2 days were up they just canceled our room key so we were locked out of our room with my family exhausted from traveling having to wait 30 mins until I got the reception to issue a new key to our room for the last day of our stay.

What I can't understand - Hilton should use their common sense and realize I was there for 3 days so there was no need to cancel the room key after 2 days. At the very least they could have made plans to ensure my new key was ready for the 3rd day so I wouldn't be inconvenienced but sadly they didn't know how to deal with this well.

I have just called Hotels.com to ask them why this happened and I was told by a scripted Indian call centre that it was myself who booked the 2 separate bookings so I asked him why was I not sent 2 separate confirmation numbers if this was the case? They charged my card in full and confirmed my 3 night stay on one email so there is no debating this. They had the nerve to blame me and couldn't care less about this issue. Won't be using Hotels.com again - Use another company.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I booked a stay with Hotels.com to the same hotel that I stayed before in Dominican Republic. The prices they listed on their website is not exactly the same provide by the hotel. On Saturday night, they normally let you see it as $20 cheaper than any other hotel but then slap you a hidden charge later. For Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday in these slow nights, they then charge you again on the same price listed during Saturday. I then compare the prices to other website, Sunday to Tuesday are $20 cheaper than usual but hotel still charge the prime Saturday booking price.

I caught their unfair and misleading prices and call them ASAP. The customer service which is a nicely sound female from India spend minutes claiming she tries to help me dispute but it was a lie. She place me on hold and didn't do anything and claim the hotel can't cancel my booking. I then call the hotel to confirm and they never received my booking and personally, they probably paid %60 of the income to the hotel and they keep the other %40. Hotels.com business price is very disgusting. They really hope not to see you again. Just be careful and compare the prices with other website or the hotel website itself. These booking website are suppose to find the cheapest price but not to upcharge you for using them.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

DO NOT USE HOTELS.COM. Took my money. Lied to me. Won't refund it. This is an inconvenient site/service. They blame the hotel for charging me, yet the hotel has no record of charging me, and, my bank statement DOES NOT SAY THE HOTEL. DO NOT USE HOTELS.COM.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

We have lost our trust With Hotels.Com. We have trusted lot Hotels.com, but you have spoiled it by simply delegating your job to OYO. And end of day no one is ready to take the responsibility. You cannot leave by simple delegating your work to OYO. Finally you are responsible to all end results. We have booked 3 rooms in Ooty through Hotels.Com, but it was badly diverted into Oyo Hotel booking, and we have made the payment for 3 rooms (@ ** international) through Oyo. I have got the booking conformation email from Hotels.com, and all the SMS notification from OYO. not sure what responsibility shared between them.

At the time of check in we got more and more of surprises. We have been charged rs 3323 for the 7X10 feet room, and one of the room having a wet smell. When we asked to the hotel manager for the price and the quality of room, they asked us to call OYO customer care. We called Oyo customer care and explained the situation, but there's no response from them, the worst thing is keeping the call in hold for 40+ min. We have tried with multiple numbers but finally all the calls ends with same point "Hold", and finally no response after spending 3 hrs on call with Oyo CC. The worst customer service in have ever experienced. Here is the Compliant #: Case ID: **. Case ID: **. And no further action on this.

And finally Oyo told they are not responsible, we needs to call Hotels.Com. When we called Hotels. om, they also tell the same thing. "They are not responsible." Finally no one is ready to talk responsibility for this. And we have to accept what was provided. The worst thing still continues, the hotel having centralized heater, and it was not working. Just think about it "December Night stay in Ooty without heater". And the hot water will be supplied only 7 am to 9 am.

Hotels.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs