2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5
Based on 1,186 ratings submitted in the last year

Hotels.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I have been staying in the same hotel for 2 months now or over 2 months rather. And I use Hotels.com to book my room every night so that I can collect stickers for my free night. For each 10 days you receive one free night. The first two times I received my free night it was readily available on the 11th day. So it would seem likely that I planned for this free night on the 11th day but this time it was locked.

After speaking to an agent be a chat who's very rude and had no sympathy or empathy either one told me that it may take up to 35 days to get my free night which made no sense since the first two times I got any immediately but that's neither here nor there. He was rude. Said he didn't care that I may lose my room and that it was cold outside and I didn't want to be without a roof over my head. Told me to have a great day and ended the chat. I then called the number for the rewards and spoke to a really wonderful lady who was very helpful by caring but could not change anything. I am just very disappointed.

Original review: July 17, 2020

Hotels.com's customer service has been head and shoulders above similar companies, taking the time and care to actually fix booking issues and obtain desired and appropriate solutions. I will definitely be sticking with this company in the future. The customer service chat specialists helped me obtain a refund for an initially non-refundable booking within days of when I was supposed to be checking in. This has not been my experience with similar companies. Hotels.com emailed me when they said they would and kept me updated throughout my claim process. I was very satisfied with their responsiveness and results.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2020

I've been using Hotels.com for years. I haven't had negative experience but I usually prefer other booking websites more because their support is easily reachable. Having said this, I've made many reservations through Hotels.com too. I am writing this review about Hotels.com because most of us have had reservations during the Covid-19 outbreak and I am sure you've all had negative experience dealing with cancellation issues related to flights and hotels. I also experienced some good and some bad cases so I feel it is right to publish a positive comment for Hotels.com in a time when many airlines and accommodation websites tried to benefit from the situation and didn't offer their customers refund for a reservation during the coronavirus period.

In brief: We had booked a hotel for March 27th (non-refundable). As March was approaching we started realizing that this trip was not possible because of the quarantine in our home country and the unsuitable period for travelling to UK having in mind that many tourist sites would have been closed. So we decided to cancel the trip and the hotel booking. We tried contacting Hotels.com over the phone but we couldn't reach them as all lines were busy. In the meantime, we saw a message on Hotels.com website saying that if your trip is within the next week you should be expecting an e-mail from them.

We received such e-mail 6 days before our scheduled stay in the hotel. Hotels.com provided several options for us to decide what to do with the reservation. One of them was to cancel this non-refundable booking without any cost. We chose this option and were informed that we'd receive a full refund but due to the unprecedented volume of travel disruptions, refunds may take up to 30 days to process.

I am pleased to confirm that in 3 weeks I received the refund automatically to my credit card. I use this opportunity to express my gratitude to Hotels.com for taking care of their customers and not causing them additional expenses for a trip that failed because of circumstances beyond control. I wish I could say the same for Booking.com but my other reservation for our next upcoming trip was not refunded by them and we were left dealing with the property itself which refused payment for our non-refundable reservation. Anyway, I'll keep on using Hotels.com for future reservations as customer support and assistance matter and deserve a little loyalty.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Had a non-refundable room booked through Hotels.com six months prior to concert. Concert was cancelled the night before due to COVID-19. Called Hotels.com, waited on hold for 1hr and 16 minutes, but was able to get a refund because we were a rewards member at the hotel we booked through Hotels.com. Hotels.com agent was pleasant and handled the situation professionally. Thank you!!

Original review: March 13, 2020

My daughter is in Sweden since January 2020 (graduation gift). She was supposed to return in April 2020. With all the covid 19 virus restrictions, I got really worried and rescheduled her flight to March 17, 2020. Since Trump announced the "travel ban" from Europe, I was trying to figure out what it meant for her. The info out there was so confusing until I've got the email from Hotels.com. Finally, I had some answers and since she's a US citizen, it seems like she's able to travel back home on the 17th. I have to say that this was the first real info I've got since all this started. I'm grateful for hotels.com. Very clear and precise information. Thank you. I just hope that all works out and she'll be home with her family where she needs to be. Thank you.

Original review: March 6, 2021

I was a member of Hotels.com for a year or more booking rooms for travel and saving their stickers to get a free room after 10 stays. After a period of time, my wife asked, "Aren't we eligible for a free room yet?" I was booking hotels for our Dallas trip and checked. All my stickers were gone! I reached out to Hotels.com for help. I spent over an hour communicating with two representatives. The first one dropped the online chat after a period of time so I had to start over with a second person.

Eventually, I was told the Hotels.com Customer Service Response Team would look into the case and get back to me. I never heard from them. I wrote a letter to the only address I could find. It was for the CEO. Two weeks later I got an email from Customer Service saying they only had a record of me recently joining and could not help me.

It annoys me they lost my membership, but the bigger and completely frustrating aspect was the lack of follow-up communication. It took me writing a letter to the only address I could find which was the CEO to get a response since the Customer Service Response Team does not respond. They were good when there are no issues, but should you have a problem, you may never get follow through to help you. I won't use them; I will avoid Hotels.com from now on and tell others to do the same.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I booked through Hotels.com and had to cancel break due to travel restrictions during covid shutdown. I was sent an email to say they would refund me the cashback but my Tesco rewards voucher worth £120,00 would not come back to me until March 2021. It's now March, I have not received my voucher and the complaint is now going to a resolution centre after they said I would get it back and haven't? They are saying they might not give me Tesco voucher back now after I was reassured and emailed that I would get it back. I am really upset at the fact you can only make a complaint through chat. Faceless people no phone number to speak to anyone with my complaint. Really poor customer service through chat the worst I have ever encountered. I will never use Hotels.com again. Part of the Expedia Group I believe. Full refund if you cancel in time should mean full refund if it advertises that.

Original review: March 1, 2021

They are lucky to get 1 star. Price guarantee does not exist. I had a paid room, no refund. The price went down 200 before my stay so I called Hotel.com for a refund. 1 hour on hold, They cancelled my no refund room, booked it under the new price & never paid it. I could not stay because they wanted another $554 because it was no longer paid. The paid room had been cancelled by them & it was a no refund price. But the Hotel does NOT guarantee the price, Hotels.com does. I tried calling again only to be on hold for an hour and a half before hanging up. Save time and money, call the hotel directly.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I booked a room in Dallas on Hotels.com, giving up the existing room I had so I would be close to the airport. Upon arrival, I was informed the Hotel had been without power for the past 12 hours and they had no idea when it would be coming back on. I was not about to freeze to death so I booked another room across town where I knew there was probably going to be power. Get to that location and guess what, no Power. They allowed me to book 2 rooms where there was no power. Funny, their app immediately knows when hotels are full so it's not a matter of not being able to have this information in real time. Waited on the phone for OVER 2 hours but finally hung up....

Contacted via Facebook messenger app and they tell me I have to wait for Waivers from the hotels. LOL!!! It's now been 4 days so I followed up. Same story... This is unacceptable and shoddy business. Clearly, they have little regard. They insist I have to wait for waivers from the hotels. This isn't about the hotels at this point, it's about hotels.com and their mistake and unwillingness to own up to it.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

On November 27, 2020 I went on-line to secure lodgings for family members who would be in our community for a small reunion January 4th - January 11th, 2021. I found a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom home, with pool, on a saltwater canal. I secured the reservation with a non-refundable deposit. On January 3rd I called the property management company to obtain access keys to the property, at which time I was informed by the Manager that they had no record of my reservation and did not do business with Hotels.com. Upon disconnecting from that telephone call I dialed Customer Service at Hotels.com. My first Hotels.com conversation was at 4:45pm on January 3rd, 2021. She informed me that all Customer Satisfaction Supervisors were busy and that one would return my call automatically.

At 5:51pm on January 4th, 2021 I placed a second call to Hotels.com. The representative informed me that I had, in fact, been charged twice by Hotels.com for this reservation, both at my booking and a second time on January 4th, 2021 when I cancelled the booking. I pointed out to him that I didn't cancel anything and that it is reasonable to assume that I couldn't cancel a reservation that did not exist in the first place. I explained that Hotels.com has a duty to furnish me with in-kind accommodations meaning 4 bedrooms, 3 bathroom and a pleasant view that Hotels.com had no standing to make to begin with and that I am suffering on-going damages by not having accommodations for my family members arriving that same day. The representative then informs me that he will place me on "hold" so that he can secure like accommodations.

Adrian returns to the phone and inquires if one room would be satisfactory. I reminded him the "lost" accommodations were for 4 bedroom, 3 baths and with a pool. He places me on hold again and returns to the private telephone conversation with a Marriott Hotel. He reconnects with me and then connects me with the Reservation Desk to book 2 rooms having double beds (his solution to my 4 bedroom issue). The representative informs me that a Customer Satisfaction Supervisor will return a call to me as soon as they are able to finish discussing these issues. This conversation ends at 9:43pm. No call is ever received from any Customer Satisfaction Supervisor.

Following my conversations I return to the Hotels.com website to print copies of the reservation and cancellation records alluded to by Hotels.com employees. All records of my previous bookings now omit the original reservation entirely. I then look at my existing reservations and again all record of my booking are missing. A few days later I receive an email showing reservations with the Marriott for 2 rooms, January 4th - 11th, 2021 totaling $3,381.58. No "good-faith" effort was ever made on my behalf, nor has any compensation been offered. I have still not received a telephone call from Hotels.com Customer Satisfaction.

Hotels.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team