1.17/5
Based on 224 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Last updated: April 17, 2018

2185 Hotels.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 17, 2018

I booked a room with Hotels.com for 4-16-18. I had wanted to stop and stay in Buffalo, WY. The Hotels.com website had a hotel by the name of the Buffalo Inn pop up with a “Great Rate” of $60 and a rating of “fabulous” but it was advertised as being 37 miles further away in Sheridan, WY. Please see the screenshot photo attached below for verification of the advertised location. I decided to drive a little further so that I could stay in this nice hotel and I booked the room. When I got to Sheridan, WY I pulled over to bring up the Buffalo Inn on my phone only to find out that the hotel was actually in back Buffalo, WY where I had wanted to stay.

I called Hotels.com and was with the first representative for over 30 minutes before being disconnected. I took a screenshot at 26 minutes. Please see attached screenshot photo. I called back and was forgotten on hold. I hung up and called a 3rd time where I was able to speak to a manager. The manager said that he was able to provide a refund but was unable to provide a replacement room for me in Sheridan, WY. The whole process took about an hour and a half and I ended up having to find a hotel room in Sheridan, WY on my own since Hotels.com had no interest in righting their wrong. Hands down the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I booked a hotel through Hotels.com. I do NOT recall seeing that there was no refund if I cancel, they must be very sneaky in putting that there when you book, or I never would have booked it. I then read the reviews on the hotel, which had pictures of filth, and said the hotel had ants and cockroaches. Obviously not staying there, so I called Hotels.com to cancel the reservation, two weeks before the stay. The man I spoke with called the owner of the hotel, who said no, he would not cancel, nor give a refund, even though it was two weeks away. I disputed the charge. Hotels.com said there is no evidence I attempted to cancel, and they said I was notified there was no refund when I booked.

BEWARE! I NEVER would have booked had I known that. Don't use Hotels.com! I will NEVER use them again, they just lost a customer, and I will post negative reviews everywhere now. Hope it was worth stealing my $138.00, which I am still fighting by the way! Oh, and the hotel was Morro Inn & Suites, read their reviews on Yelp, do not stay there!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Made a reservation that had a free cancellation policy. When I tried to cancel, it said it had to be canceled by a backdated day from the time I made the reservation. I called 5 times to explain the situation. They kept on saying they could not refund me because of the hotel policy. I contacted the hotel directly via email, they respond that they did not have the cancellation policy Hotels.com is claiming they have. I let Hotels.com know and they are still refusing to refund my $. I had to open a claim with my credit card.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I tried to make a reservation with Marriott.com. I am a Silver Elite Rewards member. My friends and I are going to New York. I was researching hotel rates for September 28-30, 2018 for Manhattan, NY. I was comparing the price on the Marriott.com website and the Hotels.com website. Marriott.com showed –a lower price than Hotels.com. I looked for the phone number to call that Marriott because I wanted to confirm I could get the late check-out.

I could not find that particular hotel’s phone number on Marriott.com and when I looked at Hotels.com it showed the Marriott Courtyard 5th Ave. address of 3 E 40th St and a phone number 855-239-9399. Thinking that was Marriott’s number, I called it. The recording said to make a reservation, press 1. When I called the number, the person (male representative) said Marriott Courtyard, and said they would assist me. I explained to them reference the lower rate and needing a late checkout. The representative told me that they could not do that rate and there were only a few rooms left. Being that we needed to lock in the price, I went ahead and pre-paid for the room for the two nights. The representative advised I would still get my points, he would make notes about the late checkout but I would have to confirm with the hotel when I arrived.

A few hours later, I received my confirmation email but it read from Hotels.com. I went back on the Marriott.com website and it still showed AAA special was lower in price and rooms were still available. I contacted the same Marriott number to make/change reservation, and pressed 1. I did and again, the female representative said Marriott Courtyard. I explained that I had made a reservation a few hours before and I should be able to get the lower price because it showed still rooms available.

The woman asked for my confirmation number and pulled up my information. After going through the whole story again, she then said she doesn’t see a lower price online and then said she was Hotels.com. I was totally shocked that the entire time through these 2 calls, I did not know that it was not Marriott that I was talking to. I told her to cancel my reservation but she said she could not. I requested a supervisor. I then explained the story again to that person and she put me on hold and then said she called the hotel and they would charge me anyway if they canceled the reservation. She then told me if I could prove the better rate, they will do a price match and I had to send them a screenshot of the price. I sent them an email with the picture and they said they would review and get back with me in 48 hours. No one has contacted me.

Being that I now did not trust anything that happened, I researched online for the phone number for the actual Marriott and spoke to reservations and the front desk manager who were both sympathetic and nice; however, they told me that I was not able to get my rewards privileges because Hotels.com was a third party site. I feel that Hotels.com fraudulently represented Marriott. Had I have known whom I was talking to; I would never have made the reservation. I realize this is a lengthy and I do apologize, but I m so disheartened about this situation and feel this was a horrible way to handle a customer.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I booked a stay in Orlando during spring break nearly two months before the trip. With less than a week until the arrival date I received an email saying the property I booked was overbooked and could not accommodate me. They asked me to call. I called and spent over an hour on hold while the agent who barely spoke English found me something similar. Then, as I was driving to Orlando, at 11:30 pm the day before my scheduled arrival, Hotels.com called me and said my reservation could not be honored by the second property. I stayed on the phone until 1 am with them as they tried to find something for our family of five.

I finally, in exhaustion and exasperation told them to just cancel everything and let me take care of my own arrangements. They refused and said they would keep looking. I was tired and said to put through to a manager and they said there wasn’t one to speak to. I hung up telling them I really wanted them to cancel as the options they had left were not desirable. In the morning, I had three calls in my call register at 2:20am!! Who calls at that time? They did however refund me but said it would take up to 5 business days to show on my credit card. I’m never using this service again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: March 27, 2018

I should have read reviews on Hotels.com before I used them. They have rooms that are misrepresented on their site. I booked a room that was CLEARLY labeled BEACH VIEW on their site. When I got to thinking about the reservation a month later, I became a little worried since I had never used the site before and called the hotel directly to check on my reservation. It turns out that the suite I booked does not even come in a beach view! The hotel will not upgrade the reservation and they tell me I have to call Hotels.com.

I explain to Hotels.com the situation and that I would like to upgrade the reservation, BUT... I want to pay the rates that appeared in February when I booked what was advertised on their site as beach view. They REFUSED to extend those rates or acknowledge that they have their rooms advertised wrong, in spite of the fact that the hotel had verified they have had the same issues with other customers who booked through Hotels.com! They also have a picture of the hotel where we are staying that is at least several years old. There is now a HUGE condo building right next to it, obstructing any side view rooms.

Original review: March 23, 2018

As a courier service, we occasionally book rooms for our drivers when they have a delivery out of town. Made and paid for a reservation for our driver at Days Inn. Days Inn had no record of the reservation when the driver arrived, and said I, as the credit card holder, had to contact Hotels.com. The Hotels.com representative could not understand that I, as the owner of the courier service was their customer, not the hotel guest. He said that the guest needed to call. I said I would conference the guest into our call, and quickly did in less than 10 seconds.

The Hotels.com rep said he could not continue with the call because he wasn't allowed to do conference calls. The very ethnic rep, likely not in the US, could not understand that their customer and the guest could be different people. It basically came down to that he was not willing to help resolve the problem. Had to pay for a second room for my driver at the hotel next door, which negated the profit on the delivery. Hotels.com (and Days Inn) has lost a customer.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I booked a hotel for a week and paid using PayPal. Unfortunately the hotel booked was dirty and full of cockroaches and mosquitos - even a room change didn't help so after 4 nights I changed the hotel completely. When I came back home I send an email to customer service - I had pictures and evidence - but hotels.com not even answered my emails - I tried different emails but nothing. So I asked PayPal buyer's protection for help - but they didn't help either. So my money is lost. I can only warn you to book with hotels.com - in case you have a problem they won't help you at all!

Original review: March 21, 2018

I used Hotels.com in the past for corporate use and the experience was stellar, they went above and beyond for us and made sure everything always went seamlessly. When situations out of our control would force us to cancel a reservation, they would refund us. No problem. Now, a year later, their motto has changed completely. Instead of customer first it's "I talked to the hotel and they said you can reschedule if you want, but no we won't refund you even though there's a strike at the airport and no one can fly into our country". Um, hello! This is like saying, "Hey, there's an earthquake in the area but too bad, you have to pay". Thanks for doing nothing, Hotels.com. You've lost a customer of MANY years.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Made a booking via hotels.com. Received email that hotel was fully booked. That's fine. Both hotel and hotels.com told me I should cancel through the other party. Then full cost was taken from my account! Unbelievable! Hotels.com customer service extremely unhelpful. Still trying to get the money from the hotel!!

Original review: March 20, 2018

At first, I was satisfied with this website. It was the first time I ever used a site like this. When I checked in at the Ramada in Hilton Head, everything went smoothly. Prior to making that reservation, I had made a reservation at Red Roof Inn located in Beaufort. Once I compared the two hotels I liked, I canceled the one at Red Roof Inn. It was two rooms under one reservation and all they canceled was the one room. So, a couple days into my trip, I get charged almost $75 for a room I didn't keep the reservation on.

When I called, they said they saw the cancellation and I had the confirmation number for the cancellation. Hotels.com customer service gave me a $75 credit towards another booking (which I will never use) and they contacted Red Roof Inn about doing a payment reversal. Here I am, two weeks later and the only thing that hotels.com can tell me is that there isn't a manager on site at Red Roof Inn. Now tell me if that makes sense? How is a hotel going to go two weeks without a manager there?? This is unacceptable and I will never use their website again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have been fighting with this company for 1 1/2 hours to get them to do a price match on a overpriced reservation for Radisson Decapolis Hotel Panama City. I took them to TripAdvisor and showed them the same reservation for $82 and they said... "I don’t see it" even though it’s in plain sight. Then they sent me an email (which I never received) so I could send them the link for the savings... 2 time. BY THE WAY THEY KEEP SENDING ME SURVEYS. Why do the WORST COMPANIES ALWAYS want a survey. THEY KNOW THEY ARE BAD. They then finally said to copy the link and send it to their billing dept and they would give me my credit. YEAH... RIGHT and the checks in the mail... And I won't say the other one.

Original review: March 16, 2018

We booked at the new JW Marriot, after booking our room here with HOTELS.COM we're charged in US funds even though our booking was set in Canadian funds. They refuse to fix the difference. I highly recommend you make some effort to either warn your customers of this scam or to stop allowing hotels.com book rooms in your hotel. This is unacceptable service, as I am sure you would agree. The hotel is in Canada, the room was booked in Canadian funds and I was charged USD on my Canadian Credit card for the room. So disappointing to have paid an additional 30% on this room unnecessarily.

Original review: March 15, 2018

This company, which stated that I could cancel a reservation with my confirmation did not do so when requested. When I arrived at the hotel, I found it to really slimy place and then they wanted to charge me a deposit for the room. In all the years and hundreds of rooms I have rented, this was unprecedented. I asked to cancel, but I found out that Hotels.com would not honor my cancellation and they went ahead and charged me.

Original review: March 14, 2018

0 stars if I could! Will be my first and last time using them. I booked 11 days at a hotel for a family member who missed his flight. I called the morning after booking online and was told that they could not communicate with the front desk because they didn't speak Spanish then asked me if I spoke Spanish. They then put me on hold then proceeded to tell me that to make a change to the reservation for the first 2 days, they would have to cancel it, charge me the full amount of almost $700 dollars, then rebook it for the amount of the 8 days. In what universe?!!! What sense does that make?

Their reasoning was that they can't make changes on their end, they can only cancel and rebook. Not once did they advise me to take the 2 day penalty and keep my booking because it was the best and only option. Not only are they not helpful, it's as if they are trained to just repeat the same information over and over again knowing they don't need to lift a finger to help you. Why would they after they trap you with a crazy non-refundable clause.

Original review: March 13, 2018

On March 6, 2018 I made a reservation in hotels.com website for Sept 22-25 2018 Marriott Hotel in Munich and as always I double check cancellation policy. I always check pay at the hotel. The website stated that nothing will be charged on my credit card, however when I received a confirmation of the booking it stated that I will be charged 90% cancellation fee. Within 20 minutes I cancelled it and they charged me $1197 on my card. I called them and they said it is not refundable. I am disputing the charge with the credit card company I used. This HOTELS.COM is a scam. DO NOT TRUST THEM.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I showed up to my hotel after booking on Hotels.com and they told me that my room was not held. Went back and forth with the lady and gave her my confirmation number and they told me it was canceled by hotels.com. The hotel wanted to charge me $50 more than I originally booked for. Left and went to another hotel. Called hotels.com when I got to the new hotel to explain the situation and they told me they would process a refund because they were "sorry." They are exactly that, SORRY, as a company. Calling now on 5 days later (because I haven't seen a refund) and they tell me they have nothing in their notes about me calling and getting a refund. What kind of trash company/service is this? STAY AWAY and do yourself a favor.

I showed up to my hotel after booking on hotels.com and they told me that my room was not held. Went back and forth with the lady and gave her my confirmation number and they told me it was canceled by hotels.com. The hotel wanted to charge me $50 more than I originally booked for. Left and went to another hotel. Called hotels.com when I got to the new hotel to explain the situation and they told me they would process a refund because they were "sorry." They are exactly that, SORRY, as a company. Calling now on 5 days later (because I haven't seen a refund) and they tell me they have nothing in their notes about me calling and getting a refund. What kind of trash company/service is this? STAY AWAY and do yourself a favor.

Original review: March 9, 2018

This is the worst booking agency for Hotels. They have a no refund policy that only becomes apparent after you hit the buy button. I made a reservation by mistake and tried to cancel it immediately. The only option was to forfeit all my money. No refund.

Original review: March 8, 2018

When making this reservation I specifically asked (as I ALWAYS do!) what the cancellation policy was. I was told by my booking rep that there was no penalty up to 2/28, which gave us more than a week to decide if this was where we would indeed be staying. I found a better deal but when I called to cancel at The Reef at Seahaven Beach Resorts, I was told there WAS/IS a penalty, and a very hefty one!!! I was furious and Hotels.com kept going back to try to get the resort to wave that penalty (that Hotels.com had lied to me about). The resort would not budge! I feel Hotels.com should pay me this money that they caused me to lose - $254.08!! I have put a stop payment on my American Express card as they investigate this, but this is of little consequence as I will NEVER trust Hotels.com information again! I'll be using Trivago from here on out.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I paid 65 dollars for a room at the flushing YMCA yesterday. Couldn't get to NYC because all buses shut down until Fri, tried to get a refund to book another room they will not refund me even with the storm. Book AT YOUR OWN RISK or else YOU will lose money if you can't make your reservation!!

Original review: March 6, 2018

Warning!! Do not book with hotels.com. My husband and I decided we would start our vacation one night early in Orlando. I was on hotels.com site and booked a room. We paid for the room and got a reservation. We had a reservation number. Problem... The page never refreshed... Odd. We showed up to the hotel they were completely booked! We used our American Express. Surely we could cancel this charge. American Express told us we would not get out of the charge. Even though we called from the hotel that was overbooked and they saw a second charge 30 minutes later, for another hotel!!

Again, we knew we would not have to pay... Days later the hotels.com page showed up. They changed the booking for the next weekend and American Express stated that since we did not screenshot the page we still could not get out of the charge!! Hotels.com can book without contacting the place you want to stay. If the hotel is overbooked you will be out of your money. American Express knows this is the policy but cannot or will not protect their client.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Hotels.com charged me more than the cost of the hotel would have charged. $102 over the hotel rate $79. Couldn’t cancel Hotel.com reservations because they would have charged me a no show fee equal to one night's stay.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Used hotels.com to book what was described as a bed & breakfast in Santiago, Chile for a 6-day stay. When I arrived I was told my confirmed reservation was gone. I was offered a room only, sharing the bathroom/ toilet with essentially everyone staying there although I had booked a room w/ private bathroom. The breakfast was eggs, coffee & white bread cooked by ourselves each day, after which we cleaned up using only cold water to wash dishes. So NOT a B&B - a hostel. I was given a slightly reduced room rate that did not make up for the deception. I will never again book with Hotels.com.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

The site is user friendly and performed as expected. I was able to book the hotel I wanted without any problems. I would definitely use the site again and recommend it to others.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I used the Hotels.com app to book a stay. However, there were two hotels of the same hotel chain with the same name, and unfortunately I booked the one that I did not intend to. The charge was also nonrefundable. I called Hotels.com to help resolve the issue. Hotels.com said that they called the hotel and they could not help. Initially Hotels.com customer service indicated that I could just pay the difference for the new hotel, but then within a minute, that option was gone and I have to pay the full price for both hotel reservations. I told them that is not a great solution.

I called Hotels.com again to check in with a different customer service to see if there is any additional option they can offer me. The new customer service representative, after I assumed he called the hotel with no option, then told me that I lied with my two different reasons for the change. I asked them what they meant by giving them two reasons if I only told them I booked the wrong hotel with the same name. They said I gave them a “medical reason” previously, which was surprising to me because I never told them anything about any medical reason. I told them they can always check their phone records for clarity. In any case, they could have said that they tried and couldn’t help me and moved on.

I was more frustrated with the tactic to blame the customer. It is okay to say they couldn’t help further, but I did not think that was professional business practice to just blame me. In any case, I recommend that Hotels.com can just be transparent, honest, and it will be okay. I hope Hotels.com can improve its culture of integrity so that it can be a better business in the long run and ensure the employees have an open and candid environment to work in. At this point, unless Hotels.com improves its customer service, I do not plan to use this service in the future.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I had used hotels.com to book a two night hotel stay. Their email to me confirming the reservation clearly stated that should I cancel within 7 days of my arrival date that I would only be charged for one night. When I canceled within two days of my arrival time, hotels.com gave me the major runaround. They told me to deal with the hotel, although I never booked with the hotel! They then told me I was a no-show, so they could not refund anything, etc etc. After spending hours on the phone with hotels.com, forwarding back to them the email before my booking confirming my cancellation of the with hotels.com (two days before my arrival) they simply told me to deal with the hotel once again!

At this point I disputed the charge twice with my Chase Amazon rewards credit card. Chase CC twice denied my claim, telling me they spoke with hotels.com, and that it was the hotel policy supposedly not to refund anything. Once again, hotels.com charged my credit card as I booked through them, and NOT the hotel itself! Through these hours now dealing with Chase, having them tell me they did not have copies of my emails, fax, and snail mail I sent to Chase, which clearly showed the booking email sent to me by hotels.com stating that hotels.com will only charge me ONE night if I cancel within seven days of my booking (again, They charged me for both nights, and refused to refund me a nickel).

I canceled my Chase credit card. I did this despite being a customer of theirs for over a decade, and charging small fortune to my Chase credit card monthly!!! For having them treat me so poorly, and wasting my time in terms of the dispute, I will never go back to chase in any capacity! This is the first time in my life I am writing a review. But the multiple hours of my time wasted on hotels.com, and Chase Amazon rewards card compelled me to do so!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

When my wife booked a room online she was given a total. When she clicked "Book" the total changed considerably. She called Hotels.com immediately to get this straighten out and was told that there were additional Resort Fees, Room Fees, some other Fees the rep struggled to explain, and Taxes added to the Total. I can understand Taxes but after adding the other Fees we ended up paying more for the Room than the highest price we found on other sites that included additional Fees and Taxes. I went back to the Hotels.com site and searched closely for anything on any of the pages that showed the added Fees, I couldn't find it. She tried to cancel the reservation but was told that it was nonrefundable.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Both times I booked through Hotels.com, they did not transfer my reservation to the hotels. Both hotels told me they do not participate with them. As a result, I had to pay double, once to Hotels.com and again to the actual hotel upon arrival to be able to stay there. The follow up is even worse, is they consumed so much of my time to try to get the money back. The first time after much aggravation, numerous emails and phonetical, my money was returned. The second time, it was not. Even their supervisors are speaking to you from a foreign country and from a script, not able to really accomplish anything.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I booked thru 1-800-CA-Hotel, I was given wrong info after I used my credit card. They admitted that they made a mistake of the amount of the currency they charged me but I have to write them (Help E-mail line) to ask for the difference. They could not cancel it because it's non-refundable and the hotel charge directly to my credit card on top of that the conversion of currency might change. It's been 2 months still waiting that the Hotels.com will reply. Their price match guarantee has a fine print that if you booked non-refundable, you cannot get the difference of the price match till you done staying at the hotel and the Hotels.com will only give a voucher to use it for the future and it has one year expiration plus some restriction may apply meaning some hotel might not honor the voucher.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I booked through their app, and when I tried to complete my reservation, the app shows a message saying no longer available. So I move on to another app for available hotels. After couple days, when I open the app, it says the reservation is completed and charged me $300. This is a super rip off... A system problem and wanted customers to pay for it. What an untrusted company.

Hotels.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs