1.11/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

Looking for a travel site?

2462 Hotels.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 17, 2019

Two bookings in a row the hotel gave away my room and I was downgraded. I contacted Hotels.com and the customer service was awful. They kept pointing to a policy that wasn’t written anywhere, and when I showed them every policy that WAS written they thanked me for pointing out the discrepancy, and still told me I should have known this unwritten policy. The customer service team ignored my specific request to not contact the hotels that night, which made it awkward when I was still at one hotel and they had already addressed the issue so were confused what I needed. Hotels.com did provide a credit to compensate for their poor service, but refused to pursue the matter with the hotels — if I’m supposed to be in a king and I have two doubles (or two twins!), I need to be paid back for the difference in room price. Two terrible experiences in a row AND terrible customer service when I raise the issue? Hard pass, I won’t be using Hotels.com again.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I recently booked accommodations through Hotels.com - taking careful note of the small print as it was a condo and not a hotel chain. I even phoned and talked to an agent regarding the accommodations. 24 hours later I received a text message from a random number asking for my credit card information, a $500 deposit and a copy of my passport (???) I called the number and verified that it was actually the condo leasing company. I stated that not only was I not comfortable with providing this information insecurely but that there was nothing on the site asking for it. The gentlemen said it was standard practice, understood my concerns and offered various secure alternatives we could agree on.

When I called Hotels.com they stated that they were not aware of the requirements, nor did they have any method of sending information securely. Once I finally spoke to the manager I received a "Sorry, we'll update our website" - it turns out that Hotels.com is part of Expedia.com and they have the ability to send information securely - end of the day - Hotels.com is terrible - thankfully the gentleman at the condo company was very reasonable and patient not to mention accommodating and very helpful - hats off to Teristo Group and Andrew specifically.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I travel to the same hotel once a month for work & my company books the hotel using this website. I have never had a problem. Until yesterday. Yesterday was SO bad that I asked my company to not use them again to book my rooms & to book directly with the hotel or use another booking site. Hotels.com NEVER sent the hotel my reservation. I had a confirmation number but unfortunately the hotel doesn’t use a booking sites conf. #’s. This has never happened before so I wasn’t that annoyed. UNTIL I CALLED Hotels.com!!! I explained my situation and I was put on hold after giving them my confirmation number.

Without going into all the detail, I’ll just say that I had to deal with this for over an hour and a half before they got everything worked out. I was on hold longer than I was on the phone with a rep. One of the reps spoke very little English and it was very difficult to understand what he was doing to help me. I was transferred to several people who I had to re-explain my situation. If you use this site to book a hotel, I would contact the hotel days before you arrive to make sure they have your reservation to save you time & frustration. I get that mistakes happen & Iike I said, this has never happened before. BUT the customer service and the amount of time to take care of this is unacceptable.

Original review: March 11, 2019

This would be a zero star if I could. I created a booking on Hotels.com for Country Inn and Suites Downtown Atlanta and given an overbooking situation that I had at another hotel, I called to inquire about the room availability. The young man I spoke to over the phone told me that there was no room available if I had just made that reservation. I asked him to cancel it so that I was not charged. He said, "no problem." I then booked at a third hotel (which was 50$ more a night and farther away - therefore much more expensive to Uber to). I then spoke to Hotels.com that evening and asked for my reservations to be cancelled. "No problem. You will not be charged", I was told.

Now, I have a $122 charge for a "no show", Country Inn and Suites hotel will not have the young man or the upper manager call me and I am out $400+ for hotels and Ubers for one night. This mind you is with a tired 8 year old in tow, after multiple rides around town and a two hour time frame of dealing with it all. At 11:30PM my very broken 8 year old and I were finally tucked into bed. Please save yourself some poor customer service and use a different hotel. Also, beware that Hotels.com seems to have an overbooking propensity as this is the third time a similar situation has happened to me.

Original review: March 11, 2019

These awful, horrible people do not deserve to be in business. This is literally a "get what you pay for" situation. I tried to cancel my reservation FOUR MONTHS before my anticipated stay and they refuse to refund my money without charging me a $100 fee. Their website claimed I would not have to pay until I got there, I followed up with the hotel and was assured of the same. Then, I was charged me over $450 on a stay that is months away and they WILL NOT give me my money back. We had to change our reservations because my elderly mother is moving in with us that week and every person I spoke to just kept telling me there was nothing they could do. Horrible, just horrible. I'm out $450 for a vacation I will never be able to take, despite the fact that they claim to have a 24-hour cancellation policy. Stay away, stay far, far away.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: March 10, 2019

The customer service for this website is horrible. I lost my gift card, tried the chat help. They gave me a number to call. That number said they only dealt with eCards, being a third party company, so they couldn't help and they gave me another number. Called them, they said they'd transfer me to their gift card department, (isn't that who I was transferred to??). The person on that end was from the same third party company that couldn't help me.

Looked online and found one more number to try. Got transferred to yet another department, where they said they don't replace lost gift cards at all and the guy on the other end told me I already knew that. Thanks guy, for telling me what I know. And thanks to everyone else who seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem replacing it. A waste of over an hour, and 500 bucks I'll never see again. Why do they tell you to write down the number when you get the card if it doesn't matter? Horrible service and business practices.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Delta SkyMiles "partner site" get points reserving through them. It's just Hotels.com. Online free cancelation does not work. Requires you to call. Gave me Delta SkyMiles number to call. After 2 hrs of being told by various Delta departments that I had to call a different number I was finally told I had to call hotels.com. Another 1.5 hrs of my life I will never get back. Their policy states refund process in 24 hrs. However after an insane amount t of time, connecting with specialist, then they had to call hotel "to see if you can get a refund". Excuse me? They tell me "72 hrs to process". I remind them of their stated policy but am told they need to get their "escalation team" to review it because they are getting an error. No kidding? You mean the same error I was complaining about in the first place when I tried to cancel online?! Delta SkyMiles = irresponsible. Hotels.com = crooks!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I've used Hotels.com moderately and have consistently been disappointed. My latest trip was to South Beach, Miami, FL where Hotels.com advertised a price for the hotel which was a pure "bait and switch" scam. After choosing the price, and proceeding to enter all reservation details, in the very fine print, after clicking two "continue" links, there was an extra $25 per night resort fee. I totally missed this making the reservation and only discovered upon arrival at the property. Hotels.com intentionally misleads customers as to pricing to get the business, then charges more. The phone reps when asked about this, said very unconcerned "You've used our site before - you know how it works". BAD BUSINESS HOTELS.COM!!

Original review: March 7, 2019

Assuming I could get a deal using Hotels.com, I booked through them. When I decided to add a night to my stay, I called the hotel directly to ensure my family would get the same room and they gave me a much better rate. When I called Hotels.com to request a refund for the difference, they went on about how it's because there are different nightly rates...yada yada. Having anticipated this, I had a quote from the hotel about what my rate would be for the nights booked through Hotels.com and they were lower. But apparently this didn't matter to the crooks at Hotels.com. No matter what I said or what evidence I provided, they wouldn't budge. I'll never use this service again. PS - I wanted to give zero stars but had to give at least one to submit my review. Hotels.com is definitely not worth even one star.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Hotels.com is a site that falsely advertises discounted hotels that aren't actually any cheaper than if you book simply through the hotel's actual website. Furthermore, they do not include hotel transfers (even for five star hotels) in their pricing. Therefore, you are left out of pocket when you go to arrange transportation which should be complimentary. The final thing I will say is that the non-refund policy is designed to screw you so once you figure out the scam you are unable to pull out. When you call them, you will find that the customer service is appalling and that clearly complaints are routine as they have that fml tone of voice as they speak to you. Eventually, as you move up the chain of command you hit a roadblock with no one willing to give an inch and will walk away with nothing resolved and a bitter taste in your mouth. Avoid this site for bookings unless you have some sins to repent. - CTW 2019

Hotels.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs