3.36/5
Based on 1,348 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

2548 Hotels.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have used Hotels.com for the last 2 years and have had consistent success. I can compare available hotels quickly and easily. I also know I’m getting a good rate. I read many bad reviews here by people who do not pay attention to details - terms and conditions, added fees, etc - all of which are clearly spelled out. I also see complaints about deceiving images, but these are marketing pictures from the hotel. What do you expect? If it looks too good to be true, read the individual review for that hotel. If you had a bad experience with the hotel, write your own review. There is a link to Yelp on all of them. Nothing is hidden.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have been a Hotels.com client/member of their rewards program and have used 10 free nights (that I earned) so far. I look on their site first and have had excellent results finding something in my price range. Not happy with the add on taxes and fees that show up when you go to book, and usually end up checking with Booking.com to see if there is a big price difference but usually on par. When I have used the phone help to change a stay or question something the help is quick and concise. I am very satisfied.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

At 5:00 a.m. on October 10, we had to pack up and run from Panama City Beach as Hurricane Michael was changed from an expected Category 2 to a Cat 4 - plus hurricane. There were no hotels anywhere to be found by then. We phoned Hotels.com and had a reservation within 2 minutes less than an hour from our location on the road that was out of the path of the hurricane. It was a lovely hotel at a reasonable price, nearly filled with other evacuees. We had passed hotel after hotel, all of which were full. We didn't think we'd find anything until we called. We are so grateful for Hotels.com's speed, kindness and resourcefulness under trying circumstances. So many blessings have occurred in our area since Hurricane Michael hit, the first of which was Hotels.com! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Booked a room in New Orleans for three nights thru Hotels.com. Well, I missed my flight and had to catch the next one the next morning. I called Hotels.com to make sure I wouldn't lose my room because I didn't check in on my arrival date - the entire stay was already paid for, and I let them know that I was more than willing to pay for the first night I missed. They contacted the hotel for me to confirm that I still had my reservation. Then, they refunded the first nite's room, even though I changed the reservation on the day I was supposed to arrive. Very surprising!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I see some very negative reviews of Hotels.com here. In my experience, they often do a better job than going to the hotel's website. Reasons to use Hotels.com. They often are cheaper (even when the hotel says it "guarantees the best deal") and the website faster. Much easier to compare amenities and prices. They actually disclose all the fees, which some hotels keep hidden until after you make the reservation (I'm talking about you, Affinia). They make the cancellation time restrictions very clear (again, many hotels make this difficult). You get a (complicated, but real) 10% discount if you use hotels.com regularly. This is above often getting a better price than the hotel's website. The only time I have had a negative experience was when I made a reservation 10 minutes before showing up at the hotel, and I had to sit on my heels for 30 minutes while the check-in staff found the reservation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: May 23, 2019

I made the dumb mistake on canceling my hotel booking because my browser glitched on me. Due to the cancellation policy of the hotel, I was charged for one night from the gift card I used. I quickly reached out to customer service and David was able to contact the hotel who agreed to provide me with a complete refund. I appreciate Hotels.com on having such great customer service! Will definitely do future business if their CS is this top notch.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I literally just used Hotels.com today to book a room until tomorrow. They double charged me and are telling me I have to send them proof (done) and wait 72 hrs to hear back about why I was double charged 87.19. NEVER WILL I EVER USE HOTELS.COM AGAIN. They literally just ROBBED ME and I can't believe this. Ish

Original review: May 22, 2019

Never again will I ever use hotels.com and definitely never buy the “protection plan”. I buy a hotel and flight and had to cancel due to Brazil needing a Visa. No big deal I thoughts. I cancelled everything. For my hotel money back and airline “credit”. I went online to try and rebook everything. New total was 1658.00. Airline credit was 1633.00. Perfect! Went to call and book. After 4.5 hours on the phone she tells me it’s 2100 and I cannot book online, because it’s a rebook. Now new. They are charging me another 450.00 to book through the phone and will not let me book on their own site!!! Asked for a manager, total of 3.5 hours more. She hung up on me. (2 different CS Reps.) It’s unreal how they treat people and overcharge because something came up. Waste of a whole day and a ton of money. Will never use a 3rd party again. Go directly to the site.

Original review: May 21, 2019

We made a 3-day reservation in mid-February for 7 weeks later, in April, for a hotel stay in Miami. Hotels.com charged my credit card THAT DAY, in February, seven weeks ahead of time. When we checked out of the hotel, their closing statement was $55 less than what Hotels.com had charged us! That's quite a profit for Hotels.com!

Original review: May 20, 2019

I booked a 2-night reservation at a hotel through Hotels.com and found out a week beforehand that my travel plans needed to be modified from 2 nights to 1. Even though I had booked a fully refundable stay, and was 100% within my cancellation window, Hotels.com refused to modify the reservation. First of all, they blamed it on the hotel itself- which was in extremely poor taste. I contacted the hotel directly, spoke with a reservation manager, and was told that they would definitely honor my request to go from 2 nights to 1. The hotel indicated that they DID NOT have a minimum night requirement. I called hotels.com back and explained that the hotel was ready to alter my reservation as soon as Hotels.com released my information to them.

Hotels.com continued to deny my request even though there was not a stay minimum and I was more than 5 days from my trip. I have never encountered such difficulties with a routine customer service request. I ended up canceling my entire booking since Hotels.com refused to let me make travel plan modifications. I will never book through them again- it was my first and last trial of the service. I will continue to book directly with hotels from now on and cut out the headache of a middle man. Lesson learned... Hotels.com is an awful business. Don’t put yourself through it.

Hotels.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs