Hotels.com

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I Booked a room on Hotels.com for 1 Night. I have to admit that I got a good rate for paying in advance. However at Check In there was a $50 Deposit that I had to put on my card. THE WEBSITE didn't show this and neither did the confirmation. I called customer service and they were no Help. This is not the 1st time I've had a BAD EXPERIENCE with Hotels.com. FYI ROACHES, DAMAGED CEILING, FOUL SMELL!

I used Hotels.com to book a nonsmoking room in Statesboro, GA and when I got there I was assigned a smoking room. The hotel was booked. I disputed the charges with Hotels.com and they refused to help me with long hold times. I disputed my charge with my credit card company. Why would I pay for something I clearly did not order? Shame on Hotels.com and their customer no service. Give me my money back since you're telling my credit card it's a valid charge. You clearly did NOT give me what I reserved and you want to charge me for it. Even the Hotel owner says Hotels.com does this all the time. Shame, shame, shame.

I recently made a reservation through Hotels.com for three nights. The hotel accommodations were fine for an older hotel and the staff was very friendly. However, due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to cancel my last night's stay. The hotel informed me that since I had booked through Hotels.com, I had to call them and they would in turn notify the hotel of the cancellation and refund. I was on hold with Hotels.com for 1 hour and 45 minutes! The customer service department was experiencing a "large number of calls." I feel that this is inexcusable and I will not be using Hotels.com in the future for any reservations. Word of caution - customer service department is almost non-existent, and a refund cannot be issued by the hotel if reservations are made through Hotels.com.

I travel frequently for business and often have to book trips long in advance. Because of the volatility of hotel rates, the price guarantee advertised on Hotels.com is essential for my decision to use them. For an upcoming trip, booked three months ago, the total price of the booking on the site dropped about $140. This was a prepaid booking and to obtain a credit for the price reduction in this case it was necessary to submitted a form on their website for them to confirm the price reduction. All the information they asked for was submitted. I then left the country for another trip, and upon return found that the price guarantee request had not been processed.

I contacted Hotels.com to complete my request. Their response (over more than a half dozen e-mails) has been to compare the cost of my original booking to the current price 10-14 days later (which is higher), and not the price at the time of the request (which was lower). Their attitude has been 'tough luck, we don't know what the price was on the day of my request, and you are out of luck.' One of the several service reps had the nerve to outright lie that the price on the day of my request was higher than my original booking after others telling previously telling me they did not know the price on that day at all. I also have asked many times for contact information for a supervisor or manager for a discussion of this issue, and they have steadfastly refused to provide it.

In my experience the Hotels.com price guarantee is deceptive and dishonest. For a frequent traveler, without the honest application of the price guarantee using Hotels.com is out of the question. For those not aware, Hotels.com is owned by Expedia and so they too should be avoided. The price guarantee is just smoke and mirrors, devoid of substance.

I check in the hotel (Candlewood Suites) on February 5, 2017. That night I got bed bugs bites from my head to my toe. I went to the Manager and she said her staff was experience enough to know they do not have bugs. I moved out of the room and they cleaned and then had the exterminator come in to give a report and he stated none at this time. Well I went to the doctor with a FULL BLOWN Report, I gave her copies of the doctor's report from the hospital, and the hospital stated they would be able to answers any questions they might have regarding this matter stating they were bed bugs, had two shots and four prescriptions. Oh yeah the hotel manager said I could have gotten them from my previous stay at a hotel, which I checked with reviews and hotel and other 16 people who stayed there. There were no signs of any problems.

Needless to say I was in pain and went back to the manager who stated she would not compensate for the expense and again said she did not have bugs there. Again they move me into a larger room (I guess they thought would compensate me for my suffering, expense and loss of work.) I am a IHG Platinum Member and was entitled to the room anyway. I just think the way they handled the situation with no empathy, no compensation whatsoever was and is unacceptable. The fact they did not take responsibility for this incidence also looks bad on IHG for not resolving this matter either. I was unable to find another place to stay until this Sunday March 12, 2017 So very glad to leave this property and just wanted to warn you this is not the place you want to stay. Room Tip: I was on third floor. Weekend lots of pets and children. I think most of the guests have pets.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

I used TripAdvisor to make a reservation at a hotel in France. It is March and the reservation is for August. The reservation came in as two rooms when I only wanted one room. I will assume I made the mistake. I never saw where to sign in for the cancellation insurance for $12.00. I kept waiting for it to show up on the next page as I was booking and before I knew it, two rooms as opposed to one were booked and no chance for cancellation insurance. I called the 800 number immediately and after being put on hold for 5-10 minutes was told that the hotel refused to cooperate and take off one of the rooms. I called the hotel directly and they said it was Expedia (thought I was dealing with Hotels.com?) that refused to change anything.

I called Hotels.com back three times and went through the same routine. They "called" the hotel who refused to take off the second night. Interesting since the hotel said this was all through Hotels.com and the decision was not theirs. I feel scammed and recommend not using any Expedia company. They are in the business of making money and no customer service. They pretended to call the hotel three times when in actuality the hotel said they had nothing to do with this reservation since it was through Hotels.com (an Expedia.com company). DO NOT USE ANY OF THESE COMPANIES. Use their information and then call the hotel, airline or resort directly.

I had medical problem and could not cancel hotel 3 days ahead. I could verify this but they would not resolve this. Cost me $800. The people I talked to English was not primary language. I will not use them again.

We booked through Hotels.com for a hotel stay at the beginning and ending of travel for a cruise. We arrived at the hotel in the first night and the hotel had no reservations for us. The same thing happened on the second reservations. Both times it took phone calls and faxing between us, the hotel and Hotels.com. This was after a 7-hour flight. We will never use Hotels.com again.

I scheduled a one night stay through Hotels.com for Feb 24-25, 2017. I entered 1 night for the number of nights to stay. I didn't notice the start date changed to the current date, February 20th, until after I hit enter. I was on the phone with Hotels.com when it happened. I told the Agent I didn't want all 5 nights. He told me he couldn't help me. Further, since the first date for "my stay" was the current date, I would have to pay for the first night since it was after 4 pm they would not refund the first night. WHAT!? I JUST placed the order! The email came through as "Feb 20, 2017 6:51 pm CST".

He was no help so I called the hotel to cancel the reservation. The email time stamp to my husband showing the cancellation was "Feb 20th, 2017 7:05 pm CST", 14 minutes after placing the order. Abby from Best Western said they would refund the money but didn't know about that first day. I then called my credit card company to dispute the charges. I was told they couldn't dispute the charges while they were pending but would make a note on my account. The time stamp on that note is "Feb 20, 2017 8:14 pm EST/7:14 pm CST.

From the time I received the confirmation email to the note entered on my credit card account was 23 minutes. When I noticed today, March 15, 2017 my account was not refunded, I called my credit card company to dispute. Then I came to Consumer Affairs to post a review and complaint. I was stunned to see other people had the exact same problem I had. Dates changing then being told the reservation couldn't be canceled because it was too late. These people are scammers and criminals. Thank you for your attention.

Dear review readers! I would like to warn you from this booking site hotels.com. If I had a chance to give their customer service a negative 5 stars, I would do it with pleasure. This website ruined my entire vacation. We booked a hotel room worth $240 and received a confirmation number so as a family we went out to tour the area of travel. We came to the hotel tired and ready to rest. Little did we know the hotel didn't even book us so on a spring break at 8:00 pm we were forced to leave the hotel room and literally fend for ourselves 3 hours away from home.

We called Hotels.com and it took them an hour to reach customer service and another hour to find a room. The room was not upgraded but instead downgraded. We arrived at hotel that smelled like urine and had mold infested within the room. I was not about to let my children sleep on a bed whose sheets had already looked like it's been used and not cleaned.

So thanks to this booking site I found myself with 3 disappointed and exhausted kids on their spring break vacation outside alone and confused about the whole situation. When I talked to the customer service, who I could only speak with in India, they dismissed my situation and tried to avoid compensation. They did NOT apologize NOR did they refund my hotel room that I DID NOT SLEEP IN. Rather drove the 3 hours back to my home. This whole deal left us with a horrible traumatic experience so I sincerely advise to anyone and everyone who wants to remain mentally and physically healthy to NOT GO THROUGH THIS WEBSITE TO BOOK A HOTEL ROOM. SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND STRESS!!!

I recently used Hotels.com to book a room for 11 nights and paid in full over a month before my stay. After having a horrible experience with the hotel, I wrote an honest, yet scaving review of the hotel on the Hotels.com website. Not only did they completely change the title of my review, they also edited my entire review to soften my criticism of the hotel. Additionally, they completely removed the most important and most critical parts of my review. I feel that my submitted review was very important for others considering booking the hotel. If I had read similar scaving reviews from other who stayed there, I wouldn't have booked this hotel in the first place and I would have avoided the horrible experience of staying at the hotel. After I achieve my next free night from Hotels.com and redeem it, I'm going to stop using Hotels.com altogether.

Hotels.com is obviously trying to protect bad hotels from negative reviews. And I don't understand why. I would have still used Hotels.com to book a different hotel on their site, and probably would have avoided a very bad experience. Now that I know that reviews are edited before posting, I will never trust another review on Hotels.com's website. Plus, they have lost a good customer forever. In closing, I blame Hotels.com for my horrible experience as much as I blame the hotel. Before reading review on their site, be aware that some reviews are edited by Hotels.com, so don't trust any of them. After calling Hotels.com and complaining about my review being edited, they offered me a $100 credit to use on any future booking through their website, however my edited review was not changed back to my original submittal. The credit I received from Hotels.com is the ONLY reason I gave them 2 stars instead of 1 star.

I called in several reservations to hotel.com up and down North and South Carolina for residency interviews for my son. I made a reservation for Charleston which was in error (it was a date for an interview in Charlotte NC). I called back within 5 minutes realizing that I had made a mistake and after a very long wait and an extended conversation with one of their reservation agents, I was told my date would be changed to the correct date and that I would not be charged any penalty for the change.

As it turned out, I was charged for both dates and couldn't get a refund. I will fully admit that I made the initial mistake, but I was told that I would not be charged for the mistaken reservation date. I had given hotel.com a lot of business up to that point and felt that this transaction was unsatisfactory. I haven't given them any business since and I won't ever again. I do a lot of traveling and they made a few extra bucks off of me on that Charleston deal, but they lost a whole bunch more on the many trips I have taken since. I will never use this company ever again, nor will anyone in my family. They are not about honest service, they are about profit at any cost.

I made a hotel reservation through Hotels.com that had a non refundable cancellation policy and I paid the full amount. After 15 minutes I had to change the booking date one day after to continue my vacation plan. I couldn't manage the booking through the confirmation email that I received. I had to call the 800 # and they told me that they can not access my reservation to do the changes but I should receive an email from the support team after 60 minutes. I spent the whole day till midnight calling them as nothing received from the support team and I always get the same answer as above but this time to wait 4 hours instead to 60 minutes.

The second day I called twice and the last call was with the supervisor who gave me the same answer and problem not solved. I had to book for the rest of my vacation with higher rates as they didn't change my previous reservation dates. I usually use Expedia and Booking.com and it's the first and last time I use Hotels.com as they have a very bad customer services and unprofessional, poor communication. I don't recommend anyone to use Hotels.com.

I booked a flight, hotel, and tickets to Universal Studios, front of the line. The flight and hotel were fine, though the hotel stated hotels.com books rooms that do no exist. We showed up to Universal and were told our tickets were void and that we needed to call hotels.com and have them resend tickets. We were not the only ones with this issue as there were a few families off to the side making this same call. Hotels.com called Universal and didn't understand why the tickets were void and basically told us we need to repurchase the tickets since we were there and that I would get a refund. I am still waiting on a refund. I learned my lesson and will go through the hotel, flight, and events directly.

I used Hotels.com to book 7 tickets to a waterpark in Chonburi, Thailand. The ticket prices offered were 1/3 of those shown on the waterpark's own website. After providing payment details online, my bank immediately sent an SMS to confirm that the credit card transaction was completed. I logged into my email account to print the park vouchers... and hit a wall. The confirmation email contained an embedded link to print the voucher. When I clicked on that link another Hotels.com web page launched requesting that I enter my email address, which in turn prompted another email be sent with an embedded link that when clicked launched the same web page requesting my email address.

So I called Hotels.com and spoke to an agent, Sahal, who informed me, after putting me on hold for ~30 minutes, that the itinerary # I provided could not be located. I began to ask how I could send him these details to help his investigation, but then he hung up on me. I immediately called back and got stuck on hold for over 20 minutes. Kavisha answered and, after fumbling about for over 25 minutes, informed me this itinerary was not theirs, that it was booked through Expedia. I would have to call Expedia. I was angry at this point and demanded that I be given a preferential line at Expedia so I could bypass the queue. Of course the number provided turned out to be for partner services (hotels seeking partnership with Expedia) and wound up with Abhay who informed me that my itinerary # did not belong to Expedia and would I please mind calling Hotels.com.

I exploded and told him that I expected someone to resolve this matter for me. He put me on hold for over 30 minutes before the line disconnected. Over 2 hours 15 mins after the purchase of the ticket and still no resolution. So I called my bank and contested the charges (let's see if Hotels.com disputes the refund... I expect they will.) Tellingly, I also just booked my activities through Agoda and had a seamless, quality experience. I will avoid Hotels.com like the plague going forward. They appear to be rotten throughout.

I had a similar problem to what others have described in that the site changes the date from checking on availability to making the actual reservation. I noted this after making the reservation and called service immediately. They called the hotel to change the date of the reservation and the hotel agreed but asked for a $30 charge since it was a non refundable reservation. I agreed to the extra charge but later the hotel not only charged for the day I stayed at the higher rate but also the day I changed at the old rate. Claimed they never agreed to the change but could not explain why the higher rate on the day I stayed. Not impressed!!!

We booked a 1 night stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites at 3852 North Roosevelt Blvd., Key West Florida on Saturday, February 25, 2017 and were charged $359.25 for our room by Hotels.com, Reservation confirmation number **. We decided to stay a second night on February 26, 2017, and got the same room for $268.88 by registering at the hotel desk. We contacted Hotel.com by phone and were told that we were charged that rate because that is the rate Fairfield told Hotels.com.

Today March 2, 2017 we called the hotel reservation desk and again got the rate of $259.00 before taxes. We would like to know how hotels.com claims to help save us money when you actually charged us $90.37 or 33.6 percent more than the hotel charges? We feel this is a real rip-off and those are our feelings we plan to share on social media.

I booked a great rate, admittedly, at a 4-star property in downtown Manhattan. Less than 48 before I was to arrive, Hotels.com informed me that the booking was cancelled due to "obvious error" in the rate but I was "fortunate" that I didn't have to pay the $70 cancellation fee. They refused any compensation and didn't offer any help rebooking (the link didn't work). Instead, they kept referring to the "obvious error" clause, which is hardly reassuring for future bookings. Hotels.com could invoke this clause, or any other, at any time to cancel a reservation and leave a customer high and dry.

This site should be shut down. Booked a hotel, but during the booking the date were not visible anymore and somehow changed. Consequently my reservation was made for a week later than planned. Saw it as soon as I received the confirmation screen and called to change. NOT POSSIBLE. No refund, could only change the hotel date (a little hard when traveling). Absolutely ridiculous. The hotel contracted basically says a reservation made is money in the bank and even though contacted 5 minutes after the reservation was made, collected and was not able to change the reservation. I have been in the hotel business for 20 years and never came across something so indecently wrong. SHAME ON HOTELS.COM. DON'T use their site EVER.

Booked the Hyatt through them, same rate as booking directly through the Hyatt. I decided to cancel booking at the Hyatt altogether, Hotel.com charged me $14.99 service charge anyway. DO NOT USE THEM!!!

Beware Hotels.com - inflated fee structure after room rates. I booked a room through Hotels.com, but then realized they had added $300 of "taxes and fees" for a four-night stay. WHAT?!?! They claimed the fees were from the hotel, but when I looked at the direct booking through the hotel the room rates were identical but the "taxes and fees" were over $150 less. So be very, very aware that while the room rates may look the same, this is (in my view) a deceptive advertising practice as they add on substantial fees afterwards in the checkout process. I've learned my lesson - never again with Hotels.com.

So I've been a very loyal customer to Hotels.com and spent thousands booking rooms through them but never again. They have had some sort of glitch in their system and the hotels I normally book are all now unavailable. No big deal at first but now a few days in and still not fixed and moving each day to a different hotel. This cost me more than expected. I maxed out my card today and can't pay them the taxes and fees. Despite having about $100.00 in credit with a free night and such I still can't book a room because of an $11.00 fee. Meaning that I will be sleeping outside tonight. So seriously hotels.com this is a lost client for good and shame on you!

We made a reservation online with hotels.com and realized the date was for the next month, not the month we intended. So we immediately changed the dates and we're advised the preferred room we originally booked was not available on our new dates and we would receive a small refund ($42 and some change) due to switching to a standard room. The screen info stated the change had been made successfully, with the same confirmation # as the original reservation.

We arrived at our destination (24 hours driving) to discover we had no room reservation. Upon calling hotels.com and speaking with a couple of different people that were very difficult to understand I was put in touch with a "supervisor". We were told they could see the change... every detail, down to the refund amount. Yet they insisted WE didn't make the change. How could they see it if we didn't make the change? Anyway our hotel and every hotel on Disney property was booked solid. They offered no compensation for their mistake. We were stuck trying to find a decent place to stay ON the same day. We will never use hotels.com again and would certainly not recommend them to anyone. Wish I had seen these reviews sooner.

I booked a hotel room with Hotels.com. I selected the late check out option, which they then added $50 to the bill. The room was about $200, with $50 then added for late check out, then taxes putting it around $300 total. I check in at the hotel, and they tell me that I need to pay them directly for late check out and that I needed to work with the third party to get the $50 back. Of course, Hotels.com did not email me an itemized receipt, so I have no proof that the $50 was added in, but there is no way I would pay $250 for a room when I can get it for $200 or less!

They took no ownership, told me that the room was $250, and sent me to a website, showing my receipt, which only had taxes broken out, and it did say that late check out was included in the cost, just didn't show it broken out. Horrible service, and again no ownership or accountability for Hotels.com. One day later, on their own website which I pointed out, same room is $160-$190. Why then would I pay $250 unless it included the late check out fee? Horrible.

This is the second time I have used Hotels.com and the second time there has been nothing but issues! The first time was for a hotel in Highland NY. The hotel was dirty, smelled, holes in the walls, the toilet and shower both were broke! The mini blinds were broke! The second time they charged me twice and totally messed up my account. I will not recommended them nor will I ever used them again!

Have used them quite a bit and can confirm that they are impossible to contact when you need them. They do everything to avoid having any contact with you should something go wrong. So unbelievably frustrating. They are just chasing commission at any price. Be careful with price, have now seen that many of my bookings were cheaper with other such sites.

Buyer beware! They are a big scam. I should have researched them and would have seen thousands of negative reviews such as mine. They charged me for two rooms I paid and needed to change the rooms and they would not help me and said they will not change or modify my rooms. Worst service and a big scam. How can you not be allowed to make changes to your room reservations? Don't waste your time with this company.

Booked a room that had a published price of $137.50. The order confirmation came back as $241.42 charged to my card! Immediately called and was told the extra $103.92 was "taxes and fees". Wow!! In my view, a $100 difference vs. the quote is the epitome of sneaky, misleading selling. Giving two stars instead of one because I was able to reach a person relatively easily and they did cancel and issue a refund.

A warning to all consumers to break up your multi-night booking so that you have control over which night is free. One must be so careful to read between the lines when using Hotels.com. Most recently when trying to redeem free nights with their rewards program, it is not clear what nights the free nights are applied to. I contacted Hotels.com to try to switch the free nights to cheaper nights so that I could have more expensive nights go towards the average free night for my next reward. Multiple customer service agents told me the free nights are automatically applied to in order of the first, second, etc. nights of the booking and that they couldn't adjust anything without termination.

However, they were wrong and I had to find the fine print of the terms of use - the free night is applied to the most expensive night, if the value is above the maximum, the remainder of the value is forfeited. When booking, you only see a value taken off your account. It is only after a few days that you complete the booking (stay at the hotel) that you find out what nights are free/discounted. I am disappointed that it is not clear when booking what nights the free night gets applied to on multi-night bookings, that their customer service agents do not know their own policy and that Hotels.com does not empower their employees to make their customers happy. I reiterate my warning to all consumers to break up your multi-night booking to control which night is free because you can't expect Hotels.com to budge. Otherwise, call up the hotel directly and often you can negotiate the same rate or cheaper if you skip Hotels.com.

DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE!!!! This shouldn't even be a website. I booked a reservation and they canceled it without my knowledge. I was coming in from out of town so you can imagine how inconvenient this was!!!! They basically couldn't help me and no idea why it was canceled. I will never ever ever use any booking site from now on. It's directly through the hotel. I PRAY THIS WEBSITE GETS SHUT DOWN SOON!!!! Hotels.com you're terrible people and I don't understand how you sleep at night. GOD HAS A VERY SPECIAL PLACE FOR ALL OF YOU!!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.
  • Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.
  • Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.
  • Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.
  • Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.
  • Best for Budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites