3.25/5
Based on 1,700 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Hotels.com

Looking for a travel site?

2734 Hotels.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 2, 2019

I booked a hotel through Hotels.com about 2 weeks ago. We are supposed to check in the day after tomorrow. I decided to try to switch to a hotel closer to the area that we will be enjoying this weekend. I contacted customer service to see about the possibility of just switching our reservation to another hotel instead of going through the whole cancellation and rebooking process online. The customer service rep, Jovy **., was awesome! They were so kind and prompt, they were able to switch our reservation to the other hotel that we chose without a bit of an issue, and we also got a small refund as the room was a little cheaper! No waiting on the cancellation to be credited back to us and having to pay up front again while waiting for that to happen. It was fast, simple, and Jovy was so courteous and helpful! Thank you Hotels.com!

Original review: June 12, 2019

Hotels.com made it easy for me to find an hotel immediately. It was a good experience since I could not find one by my own. The hotel was clean. The staffs were really nice and made my stay pleasant. They gave me extra towels and sheets as I am OCD - always worried about hygiene environment. They also gave me extra shampoo, toothbrush, soaps and hair conditioner for free. The breakfast was what I expected and they did not rushed me to check out. I really had a good time and will always choose Hotels.com for future emergency unfortunate life events.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I recently made a booking with Hotels.com. I've made about 30 reservations with them over the last 5 years. Never had an issue. I called the hotel to confirm the reservation, and they said they don't have one, and they can't fix the problem, they were very rude and unwilling to help. Long story short Hotels.com not only fixed the issue but gave me a $100 voucher to use on this trip or another trip for my troubles. They quickly took care of the problem, which by the way the hotel CANCELLED my reservation for no reason so it WAS their fault I had no reservation. Needless to say I won't book there again but Hotels.com staff took care of it and they were very friendly and helpful, which is why I have faithfully used them for 5 years.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have used Hotels.com for the last 2 years and have had consistent success. I can compare available hotels quickly and easily. I also know I’m getting a good rate. I read many bad reviews here by people who do not pay attention to details - terms and conditions, added fees, etc - all of which are clearly spelled out. I also see complaints about deceiving images, but these are marketing pictures from the hotel. What do you expect? If it looks too good to be true, read the individual review for that hotel. If you had a bad experience with the hotel, write your own review. There is a link to Yelp on all of them. Nothing is hidden.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

At 5:00 a.m. on October 10, we had to pack up and run from Panama City Beach as Hurricane Michael was changed from an expected Category 2 to a Cat 4 - plus hurricane. There were no hotels anywhere to be found by then. We phoned Hotels.com and had a reservation within 2 minutes less than an hour from our location on the road that was out of the path of the hurricane. It was a lovely hotel at a reasonable price, nearly filled with other evacuees. We had passed hotel after hotel, all of which were full. We didn't think we'd find anything until we called. We are so grateful for Hotels.com's speed, kindness and resourcefulness under trying circumstances. So many blessings have occurred in our area since Hurricane Michael hit, the first of which was Hotels.com! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

We have been using Hotels.com for years, without an issue. In June we had a five night stay for Rome booked. We stayed and paid for five nights, but only two nights were credited to our rewards... saying I changed the booking. I did not. Once I got home I tried three times to fix the issue with them. The fourth, a month ago, I finally got a reply. They said they are busy and may take some time to resolve this issue. Now another month has passed so I sent another email. Now they need a copy of the hotel receipt. I sent them that. Then they asked for the credit card receipt. I sent that.

Now they want a detailed hotel receipt. I never got one. Why can't they compare the receipt to the booking and divide by 5? They say they can't reach the hotel and have asked me to do that. I doubt I'll get anywhere either. Honestly, at this point I have given up hope and will never do business with them again. Oh, and those three nights would add up to a free night on my rewards. Gee, surprise, surprise.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

In March I booked a reservation for November, in August Hotels.com sending me a letter saying that the employees had embezzled the money of many customers, and I was one of them. They advised me to contact my credit card to file for a dispute, and to rebook my reservation, the hotel refused to give it to me for the same price, and I have not heard from my credit card. It is my opinion that if your employees embezzled the money, Hotels.com should book me another room or give me my money back. Not my credit card, I worked for a large company and I have told everyone what Hotels.com has done, and I will never used them again.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

We received the following email at 11:45 the morning of our reservation: "Regret to inform you that, your reservation came to us after we were sold out. Please contact your booking company to find another hotel. We can not accommodate you cause we are sold out." We had planned for a baseball tournament, packed our bags for our family, checked children out of school early and we were ready to head to our hotel! I understand if the hotel is booked but to inform us hours before is very unprofessional and inconvenient! What a frustrating experience. We will not be using Hotels.com in the future!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

It’s all scam. I booked a hotel with the live Agent. On the website it shows Canadian dollar but they charged me US DOLLAR and when I called they said, they can’t do anything, they also charged me $250 more than what the grand total for my hotel booking was. They are not worth the business and I would never recommend or do business with this scammers. Be sure what you are getting into before giving them your business.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I made a reservation on the morning of Aug. 31 for a hotel in Kyoto Japan to stay from Nov. 3 through Nov. 5. At the time I was making the reservation I was assured that the reservation can be cancelled any time before Nov. 2 and my confirmation email verified it; see bellow the confirmation email: "Cancellation policy Free cancellation until 11/02/19. If you change or cancel your booking after 23:59, 11/02/19 (GMT+09:00) you will be charged for 2 nights (including tax). We will not be able to refund any payment for no-shows or early check-out."

Because of the plan change, I had to cancel the booking. I called to cancel the reservation on the same day that I made the reservation, that is, on Aug. 31. I called to cancel. I was shocked when I was told that my booking was not refundable. I called multiple times and was put on hold for hours and could not resolve the issue. I've been trying to contact them since then through all sorts of means to resolve the issue, including my credit card company to stop the payment, with no success. This company left me the impression that it's practicing shady business and is not being honest.

Hotels.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs