Hotels.com

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Be very aware of using them and their policies with their rewards program. I used a $5.00 coupon which they offered on a $500(+) stay and I didn't get credit for the stay since I had a "discount". I could understand if the discount was $50.00 or so, but give me a break. $5.00 on a $500(+). Their rewards program gives one night for every 10 nights you stay... Instead I got $5.00. I can use Expedia or Orbitz and get the same prices as them for the same hotels.

For almost 4 hours I have been trying to log onto my hotels.com account. I kept getting notices that my email address did not match password. So I did the "forgot password" routine (though I knew I didn't forget it), and received notices from hotels.com that my password was successfully changed. Still couldn't access my account. Called customer service, spoke with a representative, explained the problem, kept on hold for a long time (call register shows 32 minutes) and finally hung up. Tried to reset yet again, went thru machinations yet again, received password changed notification... Same thing over and over again.

Called customer service again, explained situation, was supposedly fixed, kept rep online while trying it again... No luck. He resent the link to do it again, and got off the line saying it "should work now". It didn't. Called customer service and asked for supervisor. Explained the situation again and asked for supervisor. Finally got supervisor. I tried to tell her (Anna) that I have been working this situation since 10:08 AM.

To make a point I asked what time it was where she was located (I know they're in India... I'm not that naive) so I could say I've been working the issue since x o'clock THEIR time. But instead she gave me an attitude about they're not allowed to give out personal information. Then I tried to explain but she kept talking over me about not releasing personal information. I told her if she would allow me to speak I'd tell her the problem. But she just kept talking over me. So I asked for her supervisor. Again she couldn't give me that because that was "personal information" (Really??? It wasn't personal information for the first customer service rep who I asked). I again asked to speak to her supervisor... again that's supposedly personal information. Finally she said she was withdrawing from the conversation and hung up.

In the meantime I have no way to lodge a complaint because apparently you have to do that online. And I have no way of accessing my rewards program account. So my recommendation is to forget about hotels.com, go to their website and check their rates, and contact the hotel directly. You'll save money. I negotiated a $12/day cheaper rate than hotels.com offered. Not much, but in 5 days that's $60. That's a nice dinner with wine. I'm done with hotels.com!!!

I booked three separate nights on Hotels.com website with the intention of having these three nights count towards my membership. By applying these nights I would move to Gold status. Because I used a coupon code provided by Hotels.com (on the first page of website) I was told these three nights would not count. For three nights the total amount of coupon codes = $15.00. The total amount I spent on hotels for the three nights = $305.00. So for $15, I don't get credit towards my rewards & my membership stays SILVER and not GOLD. Hotels.com is a total scam company that does every deceitful trick to not pay.

While in vacation I came to realize I had all the warning signs of cancer. I canceled my hotel in Phuket and flew to Singapore to get biopsies done. When I found out the biopsies would take 2 weeks I decided to try to enjoy my vacation before I find out I have nodular melanoma which will probably take my life. I asked hotels.com to uncancel my trip or give me a refund. They would not, saying it was impossible and then charged me $15 for calling to their customer service. I hope the people who helped me get cancer as well and we can talk about how to improve their customer service from adjacent hospice beds.

My flight out of Logan to ORD last Saturday, June 3, 2017 was delayed and I decided to spend the night in Boston. The price of a room with 2 double beds at the Hilton was $255/night on Hotels.com. I pressed the $255 button, talked to the Hilton.com rep, made the reservation, and checked my email receipt, which was for $294. The rep gave no indication that the cost would not be the $255 I had requested. I then spent about 30 min. on the phone with Hotels.com trying to change/cancel the reservation, all to no avail.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Please be aware! Hotels.com pursues a vicious scam in conjunction with cheap Playa Sol range of hotels! Me and my fiancee purchased an all inclusive 7 days deal through Hotels.com website at Mare Nostrum Hotel in Ibiza. We got the confirmation of it. We also called to ensure that is what we got as we could not seen it on the app. The booking was confirmed by their operative from the call center based in Philippines. On the arrival to the hotel we were given bed and breakfast bands and told that there is no confirmation of all inclusive deal from Hotels.com. We then asked to see the manager of the hotel. The sour faced, money grabbing, rude and incompassionate person who have printed out the alleged amendment we have made and downgraded ourselves from all inclusive to b&b. We have never made this amendment ourselves. The manager then offered us an additional purchase of all inclusive deal which was approx 42 per person per day!!!

In my eyes it's either the Hotel or the Hotel.com, who use bend and dodgy algorithms to make holiday makers pay twice for their services. In our particular example the hotel got paid for all inclusive, the Hotels.com got paid but it's us who loose out and paid for all inclusive without actually receiving the service! In fact we had to spend additional amount of money!!! This is a robbery in a broad daylight. We spend 3 days on the phone to the customer service and just been ignored, fobbed off, hanged up on and disrespected. Facebook page has automated service and no one will reply to you unless you want to book something. This has been the worst holidays of our lives and that's due to unlawful practices of Hotels.com and Mare Nostrum in Ibiza.

I recently booked a hotel through Hotels.com using my android phone. On the bottom of the page there was a discount for booking using your android phone so I clicked on it. Then, booked my stay. If you use a discount you don't get the reward. nights. I think they should either remove the coupon making you think you are getting a benefit for booking with your phone or add a step to confirm you would rather use the discount instead of getting the reward.

On May 26th 2017 I booked a room through hotels.com for two nights in Hemet CA. After arriving at the hotel totally exhausted turned back the blankets and white worms were in the bed. How disgusting! I checked out of the hotel and was suppose to receive my refund, not only did I not receive my refund but they charged my account 3 times for the same night. Now I have to dispute this with my bank. NEVER BOOK THROUGH THIS WEBSITE. HIGHLY DISAPPOINTING.

I purchased a gift card at a local retailer for Hotels.com so I could book a room on Hotels.com, but when I got to the payment screen there is no option to enter a gift card. I called their customer service and was transferred between 3 people in less than 5 minutes and none of them were willing or able to help me. The third person I talked to said he had no idea how the website works but he offered me another phone number to call in the morning (because they weren't open 24/7). Since I was unable to use the gift card I had to go to the hotel's website to book my room (it was the same price anyway, so what is the point of using Hotels.com?!?) and now I have a gift card for Hotels.com that they don't even accept. What am I supposed to do with that? I'm going to dispute the purchase with my credit card company that's what. Do NOT use Hotels.com, go to a trusted hotel website.

Me and my wife booked a room with hotels.com over the phone while traveling at St. Louis Center City Hotel. We was about 15 mins from the hotel while booking and when we arrived the front desk told me, "Sorry sir, we don't have the room you requested," and I ask then, "Do I get charged for this?" Lady at the front desk said, "I'll note your account and no you will not." I thanked the lady and off I went and I found a room on my own (dropped in and found one down the street). So I called hotels.com as soon as I left to let them know that the room was not available and they could not find my booking under my phone number... (now keep in mind it's only been about 30-35 minutes since we talked and booked) I just wanted to try to stop them from processing my debit card since the room was not available but since they couldn't find my booking number I was told no booking number to be found so I would not be charged.

Well two day later which is Memorial Day traveling home I checked my online checking account and guess what I'm being charged 286.30 so I called and told them what happen and why. It was hotel.com fault for booking me in a place that was full so they called the St. Louis Center City Hotel while I was on hold and then returned back online and said they talked to the manager and I was a no show and they could not refund my account. So I called the hotel directly and talked to the night manager and she said she found the notes from the lady that was on duty that night on my booking and don't know why hotels.com said that. So again I call back hotels.com and talked to Joy and she said looks like they are just gonna refund my account.

Well we have to just see but if I wouldn't have put up a big fight. I guess I wouldn't gotten a refund. Well I have not seen it yet. It's Memorial Day and I'll have to keep checking next week for my return. It's just a pain in the butt to have to do this. I think you're just better off to just call your hotel directly to book a room so what you might pay a bit more but you don't have to deal with a third party and the hotel if something goes wrong like in my situation. I'll never again book with any booking company especially hotels.com. Yes they say I'm gonna get my money back but I should have never been charged to begin with especially since I called them the minute I was told no vacancy from the hotel 30 minutes after booking.

What would I have done if this was my last 300.00 to spend and it was gonna take 5-7 days for it to reflect back in my account and not enough room on my card for another hotel. I'm sure this is something that others have wondered about. I feel doing business online or with a third party company can bite you in the rear. I'm just glad I had enough money to cover for another hotel. You know everyone has a limit on what they can spend and this was a extra 286 bucks I could have use somewhere else for entertainment, etc. Well let's give it a couple days to see if they do right. It's just a big mess and time consuming talking to these folks.

Just called them direct to make sure I was gonna get a clean room this time due to last purchase using them the room was filthy and received nothing from them or hotel we stayed in. Basically didn't sleep cause of worrying about my car being broken into. Lost jewelry in room and never heard anything from them. So I just called wanting to book another place and voiced these concerns yet Customer Service person wasn't willing to help and sounded like a used car salesperson trying to scam me again. Beware of this company! They only want your money and have zero customer service skills!!! Smh!!! Ridiculous. Not service!!!

Booked and prepaid for a hotel via Hotels.com website. I cancelled the reservation within the cancellation window as stated on my e-mail confirmation. Could not find a cancellation button anywhere in the body of the email or under "Manage booking" so called 1-800-246-8357 for assistance. Was not able to speak with a live agent so used the automated system to cancel, provided my confirmation number and voice response said the reservation was cancelled. Followed up using the automated phone system to check on "status" of my refund, each time automated voice response confirmed hotel was cancelled and refund being processed.

Contacted my credit card company to ask about my refund and was told nothing received. Have talked with 3 agents in the past 4 days regarding my refund and they advised no refund forthcoming. They say no record of cancellation on their end. Have provided time and date of call to their automated phone system to cancel but they cannot find anything. Contacting a live agent is difficult and when I could get through I was told their system was "down" and call back in 3 hours. When asked for corporate contact email I was told there is no email or other person to speak to regarding my refund. Was given Dallas Texas address but no other info.

I used Hotels.com for the first time and booked a room in Vancouver. After doing more research I wanted to cancel the booking before I arrived and I wanted my deposit returned. They refused. The City Sky Manager said they were keeping the full amount for my 5 day stay which was $652.55. When I arrived I couldn't find the City Night Sky Light 1468 E 1st Ave. Vancouver V5N 3N6 BC Canada - because it was a disgustingly smelly run down boarding row house. Hotels.com was of no use in resolving the matter and I want my money back.

I recently stayed at Motel Santa Cruz, which was recommended by Hotels.com. The place was a complete dump. The entire place had a horrible smell. The bed linens also smelt terrible. The place was filthy. The stairs are very dangerous. The rooms do not have any wash clothes, hand towels or tissues. There were two towels in the room, but they were like using sandpaper. I spoke to Hotels.com. They said they would call the motel and ask for a refund... BIG SURPRISE... THEY REFUSED. When I asked Hotels.com for a refund, they said no. They take no responsibility whatsoever for their recommendations. WHY BOTHER USING THEM?

Hotels.com rewards scheme is in my opinion weighted heavily to ensure that you do not get full value. I had £83 for a free night so booked a room for £97 and expected to pay £14? But when I pressed go, the swines knocked off £19.70 taxes off the £97 booking which meant I only got £63 off! I will never use Hotels.com again, they are a very sly company.

Requested three nights at a hotel in CT. The night before I called to cancel two nights. I was told by the customer rep the system was in the middle of some updates and to call back in 3 hrs. That is what I did and got the same response from the 2nd rep. I kept trying every two hours and got the same answers at 11:00 AM, 1:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm, 7:00 pm. You know when something is a scam when a "system update" takes 24 hrs for an Internet company and there is no fallback. I then tried the mobile app that did not provide the option to modify or cancel (option was listed but greyed out) unlike the others options. That is when I realized Hotels.com is total customer service scam. Please save yourself some grief. Do not ever book from this website! Thank you.

The customer service with this website does nothing to help reschedule or cancel reservations. You would be better off contacting the Hotel directly. At least they would allow you to cancel or change your reservations within the normal 48 hours prior. All I got was Hotels.com blaming the Hotel and the Hotel blaming Hotels.com. I honestly believed the Hotel. Hotels.com charged my credit card NOT the Hotel.

I cancelled my reservations within the Hotel policy timeframe, however my credit card was still charged. I called Hotels.com and the very representative I spoke to confirmed that I had cancelled, not only during the policy timeframe but a few hours before I thought I cancelled. I was instructed to send a copy/screenshot of my credit card statement where the charge was made, via email. I didn't get any follow calls, so I had call to find out what was going on with my dispute. I got an update, and then a few days later I received an email stating I would not receive a refund.

Customer service repeated the same thing over and over to me, thing that I knew not to be true about my cancellation. I continued to ask why the original customer service rep confirmed my cancellation but I couldn't get a response. I asked who else I could speak to and they proceed to give me a physical address and not a phone number. The rep tells me the that there is no phone number. Really? A whole corporate office with a physical address has no phone number??? Very unprofessional.

One would have thought a company like that has better web software deployed for the bookings and certainly a better customer service. You put a correct day of a hotel booking a few months away. Then after a few millisecond after clicking to book, either your own software protecting against the Javascripts run by others, or their stupid software, resets the booking date to the nearest date this month. And after you try to cancel the "booking" they notify you there will be no refund. Geniuses at Fraud! ** THAT **! Don't book anything with them, that's just crap! It's the way it is. ** No call back to your mobile to clarify booking no nothing. JUST **. Nothing else. CRAP service.

After I have completed my 10 night point to get the free night, I call hotels.com to inquire as to why I did not receive a free night. They told me that I would get it after this visit. When I said to the rude rep I spoke to that hotel.com has always credited me once I get over the 10th stay, he tells me how it's never happened and was arguing with me about how I don't get it. As long as I have been dealing with these people I have never had someone so rude and ignorant telling me about previous service that I have had. I SHOULD know what kind of service I have had!

Needless to say, hotels.com did not credit me. It was actually the hotel that gave me a free night. Do not believe the advertisement, and it appears none of their customer service representatives are in the U.S. so the language barrier is absurd. To not be able to communicate is one or take longer to get things communicated, I can understand and deal with. But when it's you can't communicate with me and you're rude too, that's a problem. One thing about it though, I don't have to use them as there are other agencies to use. So I will move my business to their competitors like many others.

I called Hotels.com to book a 2 night hotel stay. I spoke with a rep who advised I was getting the best price. I gave all information requested of me. My credit card number, phone number and address. The rep then placed me on hold to run my card. Two minutes later I hear a click. Hung up on me after receiving my information. I called back right away only for the next rep to tell me my information was not on file. I asked for a manager. The rep advised no manager was on call. And the system are down. She calmly followed a script. I briefly explained that she must be offshore scamming Americans all day.

How is that these offshore, lowlife scam artist allowed to make money in our country and get away with their practices? Can I go to their country, set up a moneymaker business and scam them? Hmmm. Beware consumers. Hold on to your credit card information. Use a real company like Hotwire, Orbitz, Expedia, etc. It's truly not worth the headache.

I made a reservation at a price I was happy with. I received my confirmation and everything was great. The next day, I receive an email saying it was canceled. I called inquiring why but they couldn't tell me. I called my credit card company and the resort who all said they had nothing to do with it. Hotels.com "offered" via email AND phone to rebook but it turns out coincidentally that the price was now higher! Sounds like a bait and switch scheme to me! I'm out of a reservation for Father's Day for my husband and I Will NEVER recommend their service!

Signed up with an account, booked over 6 stays, booked 2 more today. Called to ask why it only given me credit for 2 stay total. They said I signed up for the newsletter account not rewards account. Refused to give me credit for over $600 in money I've spent with them. Ridiculous company. Do not use them!

Accidentally made a reservation for the wrong day. I called Hotels.com to change it and they told me their computer system was down and call back in 4 hours. Called back same situation. Called back again finally got an agent. The agent told me the hotel manager would not approve the change. I personally called the hotel and miraculously I got it changed. I had to call Hotels.com back to make the change and they wanted to increase my rate, which I absolutely would not do. After arguing with the agent and made her call the manager back I got the same rate. During the call with the agent suddenly her computer won't make the changes and call back... yes you guessed it! I'm 4 hours!!! I spent most of my day dealing with this issue and I'm the one that had to call and get everything changed. They were absolutely zero help!!! I will never use them again.

The other night, I canceled my booking for a hotel because I found one cheaper. Easily done - there was a cancellation link directly on the booking page. Headed off on my trip today, got halfway there and my anxiety took over. Went to cancel a second time because I decided to go home, look at the booking page - no cancellation link. Go to the customer service number... "You can cancel on the site, but if you have any questions, stay on the line". I stayed on for a half hour and didn't get through and wanted to get home, so I turned the problem over to my roommate, who didn't want to hold on the line, either. It's now two hours after the deadline for free cancellation and I'm going to have to pay for a room I can't use in a city I can't get to due to my anxiety. I guess I'll stick to Travelocity or Expedia in the future. (Added: I wrote this while I was on the phone with them and the rep got me my money back, so I added a second star.)

I made a reservation for Hastings, NE. The agent at Hotels.com booked it for Hastings, MI. Pretty sure I made this over the phone a month ago. I arrived in Hastings, NE to no reservation. Luckily they had a room, and honored the price. The confirmation email I printed had the HASTINGS in large bold letters, the MI was so small I couldn't read it. The agent at the hotel had to tell me about it. But both locations charged me though. Hotels.com automated cancellation system did NOT cancel my reservation when I called in, and they do NOT guarantee the price or cancellation as they said they would. Both places, Hastings MI Holiday Inn Express won't budge saying it is Hotels.com's fault, and Hotels.com say that they are not the billing party. NO ONE will help. I will never trust them again.

I've been a rewards member for a few years now, but never tried to collect the price match guarantee until just this past month. I had delayed responses from a random customer support group calling themselves the Reward Silver Club that were completely unhelpful. They kept referring to an FAQ on the website for Price Match that did not exist but never bothered to tell me where it was. They continue to deny my request to price match for obscure reasons without ever citing why. Oddly, I canceled my room only to see they were simultaneously running a sale that saved me $400 on my booking. So I canceled my booking and rebooked at the sale rate. Regardless, the support and price match are a massive waste of time. Next time, I pledge to never use them on my next booking. So long Hotels.com, you stink.

On May 6th, 2017 I thought I booked a hotel on Hotels.com for May 14th-May 18th for the Keys. I received my confirmation email and the first thing I see is the date says May 14th-20th so I quickly change the date. When I got the second confirmation email with the correct dates I notice the hotel is in the Bahamas not the Keys. I freaked out and quickly cancel the whole order. My cancellation order didn't show the full refund and then I scrolled to the way bottom of my email and read that all cancellations after April 30th will be charged a 30% fee for cancelling. I was like "Wow that is crazy." I canceled within 10 minutes of making the reservation and it was an honest mistake.

I was going to turn around and rebook for a hotel in the Keys. So I called Hotels.com. The associate that I spoke to was extremely nice and understood it was a mistake but unfortunately she couldn't make any changes on her side that she had to contact the hotel. She put me on hold while she called the hotel and when she got back to me she said that the hotel agreed to refund me the cancellation fee back. I was so happy. I checked my card statement today and there wasn't a refund. My gut told me to call Hotels.com back and the new associate has no records that I called on May 6th. They tried to call the hotel and she told me that the office for the hotel closes at 5pm. I asked to talk to a Manager of Hotels.com and the Manager told me there was nothing she could do, that it has to go through the Hotel.

I will try back again tomorrow to see if this gets resolved. However I believe that Hotels.com should have better customer service for cancellations and honest mistake cancellations. Their records show from when I made the reservation at 3:15pm to canceling at 3:24pm and now I am out $403.39 of my money for having baby brain. This was suppose to be our babymoon. Now we get to stay home because I made a honest mistake that Hotels.com will do nothing about. I will never book with Hotels.com again due to this experience.

Customer service is horrible. Obviously out of the country call center and when I tried to get credit for almost $1000 I spent on three nights of an expensive hotel they would not credit me because I used my office email instead of personal email address. So even though the confirm came to me and I paid for the nights it was "sorry, can't help you". Thanks a lot!!! Not using that service again although I have for years. Hate it when companies can't help out their customers and just shrug off complaints.

I am very disappointed in my experience with Hotels.com. As it is, I have a hard time booking online and it's experiences like this that perpetuate this. Hotels.com did not refund me for my full amount as promised for a room booked in Montreal, they sent me a partial payment. They had no problem cancelling my reservation which was a huge relief, however, when I reviewed my visa statement I noticed that only partial payment was received by them. They proceeded to say that it was based on the US dollar and that was my problem. The site doesn't state whether you are paying in US or CAD but certainly is hotels.ca not hotels.com which I booked. I will never recommend this site nor book with them or their group of companies ever again. The best part is that they just now offered me the difference in the amount of a credit voucher, like I would ever book with them again. It's almost like they know what they did was wrong but want to piss you off further.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.
  • Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.
  • Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.
  • Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.
  • Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.
  • Best for Budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites