3.15/5
Based on 1,705 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Hotels.com

Looking for a travel site?

Hotels.com Reviews

Original review: July 2, 2019

I booked a hotel through Hotels.com about 2 weeks ago. We are supposed to check in the day after tomorrow. I decided to try to switch to a hotel closer to the area that we will be enjoying this weekend. I contacted customer service to see about the possibility of just switching our reservation to another hotel instead of going through the whole cancellation and rebooking process online. The customer service rep, Jovy **., was awesome! They were so kind and prompt, they were able to switch our reservation to the other hotel that we chose without a bit of an issue, and we also got a small refund as the room was a little cheaper! No waiting on the cancellation to be credited back to us and having to pay up front again while waiting for that to happen. It was fast, simple, and Jovy was so courteous and helpful! Thank you Hotels.com!

Original review: June 12, 2019

Hotels.com made it easy for me to find an hotel immediately. It was a good experience since I could not find one by my own. The hotel was clean. The staffs were really nice and made my stay pleasant. They gave me extra towels and sheets as I am OCD - always worried about hygiene environment. They also gave me extra shampoo, toothbrush, soaps and hair conditioner for free. The breakfast was what I expected and they did not rushed me to check out. I really had a good time and will always choose Hotels.com for future emergency unfortunate life events.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I recently made a booking with Hotels.com. I've made about 30 reservations with them over the last 5 years. Never had an issue. I called the hotel to confirm the reservation, and they said they don't have one, and they can't fix the problem, they were very rude and unwilling to help. Long story short Hotels.com not only fixed the issue but gave me a $100 voucher to use on this trip or another trip for my troubles. They quickly took care of the problem, which by the way the hotel CANCELLED my reservation for no reason so it WAS their fault I had no reservation. Needless to say I won't book there again but Hotels.com staff took care of it and they were very friendly and helpful, which is why I have faithfully used them for 5 years.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have used Hotels.com for the last 2 years and have had consistent success. I can compare available hotels quickly and easily. I also know I’m getting a good rate. I read many bad reviews here by people who do not pay attention to details - terms and conditions, added fees, etc - all of which are clearly spelled out. I also see complaints about deceiving images, but these are marketing pictures from the hotel. What do you expect? If it looks too good to be true, read the individual review for that hotel. If you had a bad experience with the hotel, write your own review. There is a link to Yelp on all of them. Nothing is hidden.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have been a Hotels.com client/member of their rewards program and have used 10 free nights (that I earned) so far. I look on their site first and have had excellent results finding something in my price range. Not happy with the add on taxes and fees that show up when you go to book, and usually end up checking with Booking.com to see if there is a big price difference but usually on par. When I have used the phone help to change a stay or question something the help is quick and concise. I am very satisfied.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Been using Hotels.com for many years. First time I ever have problem with them and it's the final time I will ever use them. I was booking a room on their app for my last minute business trip. Booked with my work email, after I click the final step to book room App got an error and quit my booking. Since I booked as guest, there's no information anywhere.

So I rebook with my personal email, since I have account with them. After everything was all done, I was double booked for the same room and same duration. So, call them to cancel 1 reservation. But I was told they have to charge me for 1 night penalty (within 24 hours from check-in). I talked to many representatives and managers. Everyone stick to the same story. "We don't care what happened, you cancel within 24 hours we're not giving you full refund". Finally I thought I got someone that would help me. He said he'll ask the internet booking team to check on my first booking section and get back to me within 48 hours by email. It's been 4 days and now that they have my work email, all I get from them every day are marketing emails. Wish I can give negation stars.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I booked a room in Marathon Florida. It was supposed to be reward room that I collected on 10 nights. The first person I talked to booked the room saying the credit card would be charged once and then the amount will be refunded right away. I double checked with her that the amount would be refunded right away since this is a reward collection. She confirmed and I booked the room. Then she said she cannot refund right way so I should call "within" 24 hours. I did call within 24 hours and was on the phone for about half hour. The person finally said he could not get the refund. They will work on it and I should call within 72 hours. Today I called for that. Now I was told that I should call on Monday when they will need my credit card number and expiration date to refund the booking. Their department which does this had left a note saying this is the only way they can refund as there is a "technical" difficulty.

I insisted on talking to the manager and the manager repeated the same thing. When I told the manager this is my third call and what surety do I have that the issue will be resolved when I call on Monday, she kept repeating, "I am giving you my word it will be resolved". Her name is "Rose" which definitely is not her true name. She also said she is the senior most person and this is all she can do. I would not have reserved this room if it were not for the reward I had available to use. It seems like Hotels.com is waiting for me to get tired and stop calling.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I paid online and when I checked out the charge from the hotel was less. Called billing to see if they would honor the lower price and they said no. I asked to speak to the manager and got the same answer. I had traveled to go to a funeral and really think that the price they quote should be the maximum. My recommendation is never pay online as you could end up getting screwed.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

For starters my wife reserved the wrong weekend, and me not paying attention just canceled thinking I could just reschedule. The house we were trying to rent was in Ruidoso NM for multiple families for Thanksgiving. We noticed the date was wrong over a month ago, thinking somebody would work with us. Yes I am I fault for canceling, but I thought there wouldn’t be a problem rescheduling, any date. I put up over $900.00. Hotels.com said there’s nothing they can do. The property will not return phone calls, or emails. Kindness? Courtesy?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

We booked thru ca.Hotels.com for $98 CANADIAN, pre-paid, non-refunable. The room rate was in huge red numbers with 'CAD' in huge red letters. The confirmation email was for $98. Hotels.com took $133 CAD from our VISA card, then told us we were mistaken, that the booking was in US dollars. We're Canadians, we're used to living in a world where online shopping can be in either CAD or USD, and we aren't stupid. Seriously, don't use the Canadian version of Hotels.com, known as "ca.hotels.com". -- These folks couldn't find their heineys with both hands and a flashlight.

Hotels.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs