2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Hotels.com Reviews

Original review: April 13, 2020

I've been using Hotels.com for years. I haven't had negative experience but I usually prefer other booking websites more because their support is easily reachable. Having said this, I've made many reservations through Hotels.com too. I am writing this review about Hotels.com because most of us have had reservations during the Covid-19 outbreak and I am sure you've all had negative experience dealing with cancellation issues related to flights and hotels. I also experienced some good and some bad cases so I feel it is right to publish a positive comment for Hotels.com in a time when many airlines and accommodation websites tried to benefit from the situation and didn't offer their customers refund for a reservation during the coronavirus period.

In brief: We had booked a hotel for March 27th (non-refundable). As March was approaching we started realizing that this trip was not possible because of the quarantine in our home country and the unsuitable period for travelling to UK having in mind that many tourist sites would have been closed. So we decided to cancel the trip and the hotel booking. We tried contacting Hotels.com over the phone but we couldn't reach them as all lines were busy. In the meantime, we saw a message on Hotels.com website saying that if your trip is within the next week you should be expecting an e-mail from them.

We received such e-mail 6 days before our scheduled stay in the hotel. Hotels.com provided several options for us to decide what to do with the reservation. One of them was to cancel this non-refundable booking without any cost. We chose this option and were informed that we'd receive a full refund but due to the unprecedented volume of travel disruptions, refunds may take up to 30 days to process.

I am pleased to confirm that in 3 weeks I received the refund automatically to my credit card. I use this opportunity to express my gratitude to Hotels.com for taking care of their customers and not causing them additional expenses for a trip that failed because of circumstances beyond control. I wish I could say the same for Booking.com but my other reservation for our next upcoming trip was not refunded by them and we were left dealing with the property itself which refused payment for our non-refundable reservation. Anyway, I'll keep on using Hotels.com for future reservations as customer support and assistance matter and deserve a little loyalty.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Had a non-refundable room booked through Hotels.com six months prior to concert. Concert was cancelled the night before due to COVID-19. Called Hotels.com, waited on hold for 1hr and 16 minutes, but was able to get a refund because we were a rewards member at the hotel we booked through Hotels.com. Hotels.com agent was pleasant and handled the situation professionally. Thank you!!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2020

My daughter is in Sweden since January 2020 (graduation gift). She was supposed to return in April 2020. With all the covid 19 virus restrictions, I got really worried and rescheduled her flight to March 17, 2020. Since Trump announced the "travel ban" from Europe, I was trying to figure out what it meant for her. The info out there was so confusing until I've got the email from Hotels.com. Finally, I had some answers and since she's a US citizen, it seems like she's able to travel back home on the 17th. I have to say that this was the first real info I've got since all this started. I'm grateful for hotels.com. Very clear and precise information. Thank you. I just hope that all works out and she'll be home with her family where she needs to be. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Hotels.com has excellent customer service. They go out of their way to figure out the issue that you have and find ways to fix them if other ways are not working. Satisfaction limo transfer funds to a different Hotel. They will do what they can assist you in changing hotel stays as well as giving complimentary coupons/gift cards codes four issues dealt with certain locations.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I booked a hotel via their platform and when I arrived at the hotel, the hotel mentioned that they had cancelled the booking on that same day since they were full. Had to find another hotel that same night. Contacted Hotels.com customer service and received very prompt responses from them. Unfortunately, this mistake was made by the hotel. I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with their customer service. They gave me a 100 Euro Credit Coupon for the inconvenience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: July 2, 2020

I have bookings that have been affected by Covid. I have continually called the given number and been hung up on. When I do get a hold of an agent, they tell me they will email the hotel and I should call back. The emails I receive tell me that I need to contact the hotel myself. All emails I get from then are generated and not from a real person that I can reply to. The rare occasion that I did talk to someone they told me they could switch my dates, but I had to pay an upcharge...after I received an email from them that said the hotel would change my booking under the same conditions. DO NOT USE THIS SITE!!!

Original review: July 1, 2020

After our booking was cancelled due to COVID-19 I have today spent 5 hours trying to rebook. We originally had 3 rooms and were trying to rebook the same 3 rooms in the same hotel however the voucher code we received from Hotels.com can only be used against 1 room. 2 phone calls cut off after 30 mins and an online chat where they cannot perform the booking on your behalf made me return to the call line where I finally got a call person of use!

We still ended up having to pay an additional £29 per room in taxes and charges so lost some of the voucher value and they have done this by charging me for the 2nd and 3rd rooms and refunding it which will take up to 7 days to be returned! What if I didn’t have the £300 for the other 2 rooms to wait the 7 days for a refund and paying out a further £87 in taxes. It’s a joke. I understand that the pandemic has caused issues but surely they can put something more useful in place! I won’t be booking through them again.

Original review: June 30, 2020

In March, we were on vacation, and were not feeling comfortable being away from home. We reached out to SouthWest and they said we could change our flight to go home early. We tried to all day and the next day to reach out to Hotels.com and you could not get through to discuss that it would be best if we were home. So we reached out directly to the hotel, and they said we could break our reservation, they even gave us a letter. This is not being honored by Hotels.com and they are not refunding our stay. To add salt to the wound they do not even respond to email, or respond to any communication. Be wary of a company that can't treat you like a valued customer.

Original review: June 25, 2020

We live in Canada and will be unable to travel to the US for the foreseeable future. I am ok with getting a coupon rather than a refund however to be only to use it at the same hotel I booked at within a year is unreasonable given the circumstances of COVID. Hotels.com doesn't care at all and this policy is a money grab. I have spent hours on the phone and have been told a different story each time - I have record of past chat conversations and there are discrepancies each time. We are essentially out almost $2000. DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM!

Original review: June 24, 2020

Having booked 7 hotel rooms @ €2930 eventually received a coupon code with which to rebook at the same hotel at a later date. Having inserted the same details for the 7 rooms and inserting the coupon code the booking was not accepted. On contacting them after 30 minutes waiting I was informed to book them individually, after the first booking the code did not work!! Since this I have been promised :- contact by someone to explain how to use the coupon, another coupon and the promise this would all happen within 30 days! None of the above has happened and despite talking to 6 customer service agents NOTHING has been done which could mean I am €2630 out of pocket!

Hotels.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team