2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

3.6/5 (1901 ratings)

About Hotels.com

Hotels.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: May 15, 2021

The hotel was very nice and helpful and the bedroom was nice and clean. It was spot list and the bed didnt have no stains on and the places is worth the money and worth coming too. Also I will keep coming back here.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I've used Hotels.com a lot since about 2010. By a lot meaning I've accumulated at least 10 rewards nights over the years. Which brings us to one big plus, their rewards nights program is one of the best guest loyalty programs out there. Their customer service is actually another big plus. In the sea of lousy service by travel companies, they actually stand out by answering calls right away AND taking care of any issues. They are also proactive, they extended everyone's rewards expiration automatically by one year in 2021, no need to hassle with sending emails. The only reason they don't get 5 stars is because they don't always have the lowest rates, especially in Asia. Overall 4.5 stars.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I have been staying in the same hotel for 2 months now or over 2 months rather. And I use Hotels.com to book my room every night so that I can collect stickers for my free night. For each 10 days you receive one free night. The first two times I received my free night it was readily available on the 11th day. So it would seem likely that I planned for this free night on the 11th day but this time it was locked.

After speaking to an agent be a chat who's very rude and had no sympathy or empathy either one told me that it may take up to 35 days to get my free night which made no sense since the first two times I got any immediately but that's neither here nor there. He was rude. Said he didn't care that I may lose my room and that it was cold outside and I didn't want to be without a roof over my head. Told me to have a great day and ended the chat. I then called the number for the rewards and spoke to a really wonderful lady who was very helpful by caring but could not change anything. I am just very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

4 Days before my upcoming trip I found the same hotel about 30% cheaper than what I paid for. I submitted the claim and in under 30 minutes my refund was approved. And in my previous interactions with customer service I always had quick resolution of my needs. Compared to the booking sites Hotels.com is top notch.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I have collected 9 stamps. And for the 10th reservation, after the reservation was made, I received a confirmation email for the reservation and also a statement saying this night could be qualified for a collection stamp. But after the stay, they say indeed I do not qualify for this 10th collection stamp and the previous statement was a mistake of their computer system. Also they deny any responsibility for this mistake and so I cannot have a free redeemable night. Hotels.com is a SCAM! Do not book with them unless you want to be insulted.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Terrible customer service. Flight was delayed causing a delay to the hotel. I notified within 24 hours in advance. Called Hotels.com repeatedly but they said they couldn't change the reservation, only the hotel itself could. The hotel did after I contacted them directly, but Hotels.com still charged me for an first extra night. I have filed a BBB complaint for which they have not responded (almost 3 weeks now).

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Shocking shocking service - please stay away - impossible to get in touch with anyone that can help - 5 calls through to India call centre and not able to it through to manager. Honestly shocking service.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I made a mistake when booking, and I'll admit that from the start. And it was a non-refundable reservation. So I called Hotels.com to see what they could do. After sitting on hold for a short amount of time, I was connected with an agent. She said if the hotel agreed to the cancellation and refund, they would too. She told me I needed to call the hotel, and in the meantime, she would send me an email. I should reply to the email with the name and position of the person who agreed to the refund.

When I called the hotel, it turned out they have no such non-refundable policy! That was something hotels.com just made up, to make their own revenues higher. The hotel would have been happy to cancel the reservation at no charge, if I had made it directly, but couldn't do that because I had used Hotels.com. She said she would approve it and gave me her name and title for me to provide to Hotels.com.

I replied back to the email Hotels.com had sent, happy that a resolution seemed likely. My reply was only 7 minutes after I had received the email from Hotels.com in the first place. I wanted to make sure I did everything quickly to help speed the process along. Then I heard nothing back. I emailed again about 5 1/2 hours later. Nothing. And again 3 hours after that. Nothing. I went back to the original email and noted that it said they would respond within 10 business days. So I waited 10 business days and emailed them to tell them how disappointed I was in their lack of communication. As far as I can tell, they never reached out to the property. Never refunded my money. They never even bothered to reply back to the support ticket.

I've since done some research and discovered that Hotels.com and other third-party booking sites really harm the industry. They're taking a cut of the revenue due to the property because they can out-beat them at advertising. Other than being a search engine, they really offer no useful service. And in this case, they made everything harder. I am still out over $400, which I'm sure I'll never see again. It was an expensive lesson to learn, but from now on, I'll book everything directly so I don't have to rely on a middleman who offers nothing in the way of good customer service.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Please be aware that if you purchase gift cards for someone as a gift, they can only enter one gift card number per trip. I was given four $50 gift cards and expected to use them on one stay as a combined $200 but was shocked when I found out that I needed to ask the person who gave them to me for the receipt in order to use them all. I was also shocked when I was hung up on by the customer service agent. When I tried the online help they directed me to an email address to help me. I emailed them but got no response. I would recommend not falling prey to their gift card scam they have going. It is more of an inconvenience for you and the person you are gifting.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I reserved 2 rooms several weeks ago, upon arrival at the hotel (Hilton) only one room was available. The Hilton charged me for an additional room at a higher rate. It was very difficult to reach Hotels.com for a refund, I could not do it online and had to call. The automated call system did not work well and would get stuck asking me for the same information over and over without transferring me to an operator. When I did speak with a Hotels.com representative they were able to process a refund for the lower rate of my booking, not the higher rate charged by the Hilton, a difference of $50. All of this is acceptable, however, now I have $70 of international phone fees because I was forced to call several times, my phone service is Verizon and should not be a problem.

Hotels.com author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

Hotels.com Company Information