2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Hotels.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: July 17, 2020

Hotels.com's customer service has been head and shoulders above similar companies, taking the time and care to actually fix booking issues and obtain desired and appropriate solutions. I will definitely be sticking with this company in the future. The customer service chat specialists helped me obtain a refund for an initially non-refundable booking within days of when I was supposed to be checking in. This has not been my experience with similar companies. Hotels.com emailed me when they said they would and kept me updated throughout my claim process. I was very satisfied with their responsiveness and results.

Original review: April 13, 2020

I've been using Hotels.com for years. I haven't had negative experience but I usually prefer other booking websites more because their support is easily reachable. Having said this, I've made many reservations through Hotels.com too. I am writing this review about Hotels.com because most of us have had reservations during the Covid-19 outbreak and I am sure you've all had negative experience dealing with cancellation issues related to flights and hotels. I also experienced some good and some bad cases so I feel it is right to publish a positive comment for Hotels.com in a time when many airlines and accommodation websites tried to benefit from the situation and didn't offer their customers refund for a reservation during the coronavirus period.

In brief: We had booked a hotel for March 27th (non-refundable). As March was approaching we started realizing that this trip was not possible because of the quarantine in our home country and the unsuitable period for travelling to UK having in mind that many tourist sites would have been closed. So we decided to cancel the trip and the hotel booking. We tried contacting Hotels.com over the phone but we couldn't reach them as all lines were busy. In the meantime, we saw a message on Hotels.com website saying that if your trip is within the next week you should be expecting an e-mail from them.

We received such e-mail 6 days before our scheduled stay in the hotel. Hotels.com provided several options for us to decide what to do with the reservation. One of them was to cancel this non-refundable booking without any cost. We chose this option and were informed that we'd receive a full refund but due to the unprecedented volume of travel disruptions, refunds may take up to 30 days to process.

I am pleased to confirm that in 3 weeks I received the refund automatically to my credit card. I use this opportunity to express my gratitude to Hotels.com for taking care of their customers and not causing them additional expenses for a trip that failed because of circumstances beyond control. I wish I could say the same for Booking.com but my other reservation for our next upcoming trip was not refunded by them and we were left dealing with the property itself which refused payment for our non-refundable reservation. Anyway, I'll keep on using Hotels.com for future reservations as customer support and assistance matter and deserve a little loyalty.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2020

My daughter is in Sweden since January 2020 (graduation gift). She was supposed to return in April 2020. With all the covid 19 virus restrictions, I got really worried and rescheduled her flight to March 17, 2020. Since Trump announced the "travel ban" from Europe, I was trying to figure out what it meant for her. The info out there was so confusing until I've got the email from Hotels.com. Finally, I had some answers and since she's a US citizen, it seems like she's able to travel back home on the 17th. I have to say that this was the first real info I've got since all this started. I'm grateful for hotels.com. Very clear and precise information. Thank you. I just hope that all works out and she'll be home with her family where she needs to be. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Hotels.com has excellent customer service. They go out of their way to figure out the issue that you have and find ways to fix them if other ways are not working. Satisfaction limo transfer funds to a different Hotel. They will do what they can assist you in changing hotel stays as well as giving complimentary coupons/gift cards codes four issues dealt with certain locations.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I booked a hotel via their platform and when I arrived at the hotel, the hotel mentioned that they had cancelled the booking on that same day since they were full. Had to find another hotel that same night. Contacted Hotels.com customer service and received very prompt responses from them. Unfortunately, this mistake was made by the hotel. I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with their customer service. They gave me a 100 Euro Credit Coupon for the inconvenience.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Had a reservation in mid-March, then COVID restrictions kicked in and they wouldn't let me cancel. Had to call customer service multiple times with promises that they would make it right and they would never follow up. They told me the Hilton is responsible for the refund but that's not true because I paid for the reservation through Hotels.com. I've spent $6,734 in 1 year, they wouldn't refund $478 but instead gave me a measly credit for $30.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

We had made reservations with Quality Inn and have been quarantined due to Covid-19. We have asked if we could switch the date since it was paid in full and 3 days away. Rude and said No, still come!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

We made a reservation via Hotels.com on Saturday, November 7, 2020 for the Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place for a king sized room for Friday, November 13. We received a confirmation and guarantee for a king bed room at that time. Upon arrival that evening, we were given a 2 bed queen room. I went to the desk clerk to ask to be moved to the correct sized room, but was informed they were sold out of king rooms.

I reminded him we had a reservation and showed him the confirmation. I told him we booked the room a week ago. The clerk said when a reservation comes in from hotels.com, we are not guaranteed the room type we requested which is why “we always say to book directly with us.” We have used hotels.com to book rooms for years with no issues including for this same hotel just a couple weeks ago.

Marriott customer service replied: “Our Colleagues at the Front Desk provided you with accurate information. When booking through a third party booking source, your room type is not guaranteed. On previous stays you were given what was available and it happened to be what you had reserved. This has always been Marriott Bonvoy's policy. We are not able to provide compensation.” This is NOT how booking has ever worked in the past, and we have used hotels.com for YEARS with multiple hotels across the United States. What is the point of guaranteeing our reservation including room and bed size, if the hotel refuses to honor the request?? I am furious that the hotel refused to honor a guarantee!???

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

The website states full refund available on bookings but they do not tell you the pain you have to go through to get your money back. Their protocols are so badly structured with overseas customer support agents to save cost, the customer ends up getting bounced from one department to the next with each not taking responsibility to correct the issue. You will end up running in circles for hours and eventually give up. I'm a gold member at Hotels.com which is the highest level one can obtain. I've been using their site for years with all my travel. I'm so disappointed with their recent drop in their level of service that I have decided to take my business elsewhere from here on out. I would not recommend their site to anyone that will listen and if they don't, I know they'll eventually regret it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

We booked a hotel with a RIVER VIEW to only be told at front desk, there are no reservations for a river view. We have confirmation from HOTELS.COM and all. This is the SECOND TIME this has happened to us. We had to book another room and call HOTELS.COM for a refund. We called HOTELS.COM and they told us we were lying about booking the RIVER VIEW room. 2 of us saw the listing and we specifically needed RIVER VIEW, we were ONLY searching for RIVER VIEW, so why would we make this up?!! HOTELS.COM told us that we have NO PROOF of this booking. We were on the phone for over an hour trying to get our money back for a room that WAS NOT AVAILABLE. We could NOT cancel with the hotel because the reservation was done with HOTELS.COM. PLEASE CALL THE HOTEL DIRECTLY WHEN BOOKING. HOTELS.COM is advertising false information and making money off of people by doing this, REPEATEDLY!!!

Hotels.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team