1.07/5
  • 1 star
Based on 239 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Hotels.com

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

2138 Hotels.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Displaced traveler due to aircraft maintenance issues. Very tired and thought airline agent wanted us to make our own reservations. I tried to cancel within 10 minutes of making reservation, told too late no refunds available. The person I got on the phone blamed the hotel. I called hotel and they said it was the 3rd party that would not refund. Never again. I understand having policies in place but then there is taking advantage of people in a bad situation that they have no control over.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I made the reservation tonight 1/16/18 for a business trip. Both myself and boss looked over dates and location. Once we booked their Non-Refundable room it sent me a confirmation of 1/21 check in. I was This was Not the dates selected. I immediately called to ask what happened to my dates I booked with and why did it now say the 21st. He claimed a system glitch and verified with hotel that they had a room tonight. It was decided to be fixed at No extra cost or penalties. 2 hours later I called hotel to touch base since I was en route. NO reservation was ever submitted. I went online to type in the code they gave and it showed not only 1 room booked but I was charged with 2 rooms. I called Hotels.com to ask why and why my correct reservation was never sent over and was told their systems are down and call back in 2 hours???

I don't have 2 hours before arrival. I asked for a manager. A gentleman came on the phone who claims his name was John ** and he was the manager on duty. He reiterated there was nothing to be done. I had to wait and call back in 2 hours. Really? Sit in the hotel parking lot for 2 hours in a snow storm??? That's feasible? Who is it ok to do this? I was also informed after 2 hours I can only check the status but could not be guaranteed a reservation to be sent. Ridiculous. Complete BS. I then asked for his manager and was told there was no one night than him. I asked for corporate's number but was told that I can only email and it will take 10 days for a reply. So you now have double payment and I have no hotel room. SCAM. I'm also going to the BBB and Expedia (owner of Hotels.com). WORST COMPANY EVER.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

After being a loyal customer, Hotels.com deactivated and expired my earned 3 nights stay. There are periods of time in life when travel is not possible, and a notice to this effect should be reasonable to expect. Their prices are higher anyway, the hotel rooms you can book are at a minimum and low end, and it is not possible to use your points toward an equal amount on the cost of an upgrade. A total ripoff, and there is no reason to use this company.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Hotels.com linked 2 different e-mails into one account without notifying me. It does not even say on my account pages that the two e-mails were linked. As a result of this, only 1 e-mail for the WHOLE account can collect rewards. This was not made clear at any point in time as all of this was done without my consent or knowledge. I understand that sometimes mistakes like this can happen, and there are issues with the system that occasionally occur, so I called in and wrote in to see if I can have this situation rectified. The phone operator basically fed me lines straight from their protocol book and explained that although this was an issue with their system, she could not do anything to help me. I asked to speak to her supervisor to see if I would have any luck rectifying the situation, however, he was extremely rude and unhelpful.

Fine, don't let your customers receive benefits that were promised and advertised, but figure out your customer service. I've never been told by a CS operator before that I needed to "listen to my explanation or I cannot help you" and then when queried, "Will you be able to help me resolve my issue?" told "No, I cannot help you." Sir, I do not need to listen to your monologue if the end result is you cannot rectify the issue caused by your broken site and broken system. A simple and polite, "No, I am sorry and I am sorry to lose your business" would suffice.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have booked a hotel reservation through Hotels.com, the check-in date will be some time in 6 six months later. I originally booked with refundable, but by mistake from my side, I changed the booking to be non refundable. But I did not know that, and I thought my booking was fully refundable. Then today I decide to cancel the booking since my travel plan has changed. However, I realized that the booking has been changed to be non-refundable after my cancelation. I called Hotels.com immediately to explain the mistake and ask for their help. The response I received was very unconcerned and it said to me nothing that they can do at this moment. I request them to revoke my cancel and I decide to stay at the hotel anyway. But hotels.com said that it is the booking hotel's policy and they cannot do that. I was been told that it was my fault to lose all my money for the reservation.

Then I decided to call the destination hotel directly and tried to explain to them my situation. The hotel's reservation department is reasonable and agreed to revoke my cancelation by mistake. In the end, I at least keep my reservation at the hotel even if I cannot make the trip. So you can understand my complaint here: all I need is such a simple help from Hotels.com, but it refused me, a customer's basic request. I have to spend two hours to make overseas phone calls and resolve the matter myself. I wish I can give it zero stars. So after knowing my story, would you like to book through Hotels.com now?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I booked through Hotels.com. It specifically stated that I could cancel up to the date before the trip/booking. When you click on the FREE CANCELLATION button it reiterates that you can cancel up to the date before the trip/booking-- no mention of a specific time. When you actually book the FREE CANCELLATION pops up again and then it changes to include a time. Who would think there would be several different policies! When you review their site- the policies should not contradict each other and they should be clearly defined-- not hidden behind a link. And then the links for the same words are different-- like they want you to click on the first and believe it is the same throughout. I called 10 minutes after their second link which said I needed to call by 4PM (I never saw the fine print/second link). Although very nice, they called the hotel and told me there was nothing they could do. Very deceptive!! I will never use them again.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

They are one of the worse third party companies. They lie, including the supervisors and so called managers. I had an issue with a refund. They kept saying it's the hotel that was holding up the refund, the hotel advised me that it was Hotels.com. There was never any continuity with the same manager or supervisor so I would get a different story with each call. Complete nightmare!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

They are full of it! I almost collected the required 10 nights to earn a free stay only to be told that my rewards account was NEVER created when I KNOW it was. My last booking told me that I had 2 more nights til my free stay. Now all of a sudden they said I've never created the rewards account! I am spool angry right now I can't think straight. The only reason for booking through them was to earn free nights. I could have just called the hotels directly and booked based off of price matching. They are wrong and I understand why they only get 1 star and bad reviews.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Our booking experience with hotels.com has been very challenging and unacceptable. An error was made during booking and reservations were made in the wrong city. It was my mistake, which I discovered within 15-20 minutes. I immediately called and attempted to cancel the reservation. After speaking with 5-6 customer representatives, one of which was the hotel, I am told no one is willing to cancel this reservation and refund the charge to my credit card as this was a non-refundable reservation. This is completely unacceptable. I would have made an immediate reservation in the correct city but clearly that would have been another risk that at this point is unacceptable based on their unwillingness to correct the first booking. It is my belief I have been scammed.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I have made a reservation at Tuscany Hotel by hotels.com. The booking details from the hotels.com shows that cost for the booking is $311,01 including resort fee. However, the Tuscany Hotel has charged me $329. It is fair to take more money than the cost.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I (in Canada) paid for a $100 Hotels.com gift card which was sent (by Hotels.com) to my son in Arizona (for Christmas 2016). He is unable to use it in the US "because it was purchased in Canada." He is unable to use it in Canada "because he would be booking from the US." In other words, my money has been stolen by Hotels.com selling me an unusable product. I was told that someone from Hotels.com would email or phone me but, of course, that has not happened and it is impossible to actually send them an email message about this issue. I want my money back so I can just give my son the $100.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

My sister and I booked with Hotels.com for a night before a cruise. As the cab pulled up to the property, a lady came out and said they were closed! We were NOT notified! Very unexpected surprise! We ended up going to another hotel and had to spend double! They offered a refund, but we were out additional cab fees and spending double was not in the travel budget. I have had success with domestic locations, but will not book a international location again.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

We are booking a service-apartment suites in Toronto and paid in full upfront. It stated in hotels.com description it was a 24-hour check-in and that's one of the reason we booked it because our flight arrived 7AM. Suddenly we receive an email from the apartment 3 days prior to our reservation that the suites only available 3PM and we reply saying Hotels.com wrote that it's a 24-hour check-in so we called Hotels.com "customer service". They said probably we ended up looking at a wrong website but we already took a screenshot (8:54 PM) of it before we made that call.

After saying they will speak with the "supervisor" for quite sometime (10 minutes or so) the "customer service" challenged us to look at their website and I'll be damned, THEY CHANGE THE DESCRIPTION of the apartment suites!!! This is practically fraud to paying customer!!! Instead giving a solution, they change the description (9:18 PM) after we have paid in full and did not give us any solution at all! Beware and do not ever, I mean EVER booked with this tricky company called Hotels.com!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I booked a hotel room through Hotels.com in Green River Utah back in October 2017. The web price through them was $117.88. I called them and I was told that I could reserve it for that price, but I would be charged the full price of 147.88 to my card, and I would receive a $30.00 rebate within 3 business days. I paid the full amount and received a confirmation #. I stayed at the hotel, but I never received the rebate after calling to complain 3 times. It's been 2 months since I stayed there and they tell me there are no notes so they can't refund me. I could have called the hotel directly and got the room for $133.15.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I was told incorrect information from hotels.com rep (Benjamin & Paul) about breakfast included in a hotel package. The hotel confirmed we were given incorrect info. Hotels.com supervisors (George & Randy) promised a credit which was never given. We got the runaround and spent HOURS on the phone with supervisors and reps. Every time we called back they said they couldn't find our notes or recorded conversations. Hotels should beware that hotels.com gives customers incorrect information about their stay. DO NOT talk to these people from hotels.com. They will lie and say they will call you back and promise credits, but you will never receive anything.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Will never use this company again, customer service is horrible! This company is not for the customer! I will go direct to the hotel from now on! You wait to speak with someone for over 30mins, for them to get on the phone and get all your information, mind you they have my phone number at this point for them to then put you on hold and hang up on you and not call you back. So I go to call back (another long wait) for them to just argue with me and tell me that their system is down and to call back in two hours, ironically everyone I spoke with was named 'David' but for them to tell me they have never seen my reservation before or have spoken with me. Meanwhile, I have 'David' telling me their system is down and I have my husband on the other phone speaking with 'David' to tell him the system isn't down. This company seems very fishy to me!!! Horrible!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I booked a hotel room in Larnaca, Cyprus and the price listed on the website was 62 dollars (It is still listed in dollars). When I arrived, they asked me to pay 62 euros, with no currency exchange. I complained to Hotels.com that they should convert the rate into dollars so that I would know how much to pay when I am browsing, but they said I should have noticed a disclaimer as I was checking out that said I would be paying in local currency. That still didn't make it clear that I would not be getting a converted amount. 62 euros is more than 62 dollars. I went back and forth with customer service and they do not intend to change this so I do not intend to use their website anymore.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Three of us were using the site to find a hotel one of us had already traveled to. We found it and reviewed it; jumped to the website linked in the Hotels.com site and then used the back arrow to return to the Hotels.com site. Then we locked in the room at the hotel. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were told it was actually made to a sister hotel 20-25 minutes away. We asked to have it switched. The hotel said they could easily do it, but Hotels.com disallowed the change. We ended up paying for two rooms and did not get the room we requested originally. We also had a better rate going directly to the hotel than what had been shown to us by Hotels.com, so never going to use them again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I made a booking for a hotel in India through them. Due to some unforeseen reasons, I had to change my travel plans and I called to cancel my reservation and rebook the reservation. According to the agent, they wanted to charge me for one day of hotel charges (fair) and all 10 days of taxes accrued (Thieves). I told them that this was not fair and they informed me that the Hotel Diplomat was doing this in India. I called the hotel and found out that the entire amount had been refunded and that Hotels.com agents were lying to me all along. I launched a complaint into the Visa fraud department and am in the process of recouping all my funds from them. Do not book with them. You are better off paying a little bit more and going online with an honest company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Reserved 3 nights, called to change to 2 nights. They said "no problem". Got billed twice for 3 nights and again for 2 nights (this was an upscale resort). Called Hotels.com and after an hour on the phone, I still had to pay $600 penalty. They NEVER told me about any penalties and I argued this point. Got nowhere. Finally they gave me a coupon for $250. Did not want coupon (to use with their website only). What a rip off... Will never use them again. They can take their coupon and put it in the appropriate place.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Booked a room for this weekend (11/18-11/19) at the Hilton Southlake Town Square and reservation was moved to the 12/08-12/09! Drove 6 hours and only after unloading the car, valet taking the car, and going to check-in I was notified that the date on the reservation was changed! Two kids, my wife and two dogs were stranded. No rooms available at this hotel or any others in a 20 mile radius of where we needed to be. We felt left in the cold (in a literal sense) and embarrassed!

Calling Hotels.com customer service was a joke. They couldn’t help or get us a room anywhere else that wasn’t 45 minutes away from the Town Square. All the customer service representative tried to do was sell me a room for the following week. Why do I need a room for the following week? If you want customer sales representatives then call that and STOP using the term customer service representative. It is demeaning to the companies that actually care about their customers. Thanks Hotel.com for ruining our family moment of staying on the Southlake Town Square, enjoying the Christmas Festivities, and extremely shorting our time spent Christmas shopping. These are moments in my families’ life that won’t be forgotten or returned.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I booked a hotel in China, Xi'an called "Sunshine Theme Apartment". The hotel accepted my offer and I had free change and refund policy. However, I later made changes to the booking and suddenly I couldn't cancel the hotel anymore even if I wanted to. I was still going to Xi'an however, so that didn't really bother me. The hotel I'm talking about is linked here: **. When I arrived after 1 AM, there was nobody at the hotel. A friendly man who helped me find the hotel in the first place tried calling them, but no avail. I thanked him and he left to continue his night. I decided to wait at the hotel until someone arrives. I waited for two hours on the ground resting my eyes, and then some customers of the hotel finally arrived. They helped me call the hotel again, and finally someone replied. They said that they don't accept foreign bookings, which is common in China, and that I should contact Hotels.com for refund.

I was devastated and tired after staying up all night. The customers helped me to find an another hotel, but since nothing was found, they let me stay in their room sleeping on the floor for night. Next day, they helped me find a hotel. Those girls should be called guardian angels. Anyway, the next hotel I stayed had some internet problems, so I couldn't contact Hotels.com for couple of days. After I finally sent my first email, it had gone four days in total already. Anyway, I waited and waited and they finally replied me few weeks after asking for more information. I gave that, and later on I got a reply that the hotel refuses to refund me, so Hotels.com doesn't refund me as well. I tried contacting their different customer agents, but no avail. I did try to get money back from my insurance, but that didn't help. Finally, I have asked my credit card company to cancel the payment, so let's see how it goes.

What Hotels.com did wrong in my opinion is that: 1. Having a hotel which doesn't accept foreigners and no mentioning about it. 2. Changing the days I stay in the Hotel prevents me from canceling the hotel without warning. If I change my booking and it changes the conditions, it should definitely be mentioned that I cannot cancel it anymore. 3. Refusing to refund me after the hotel doesn't accept my booking. If a hotel doesn't accept the customer, Hotels.com should refund them and prevent the hotel from being booked ever again. If you ever book a hotel from this website, be careful and be sure to check other websites for the same hotel as well to avoid any confusion. Also, never change the booking, just cancel it and book it again to get the same conditions as before. I will continue the quest to get my money back, and I hope they will acknowledge my request to get my money back. Never give up with scammers.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I reserved a room for 3 nights in Detroit in early November for a conference back in October. I live east of Montreal and choose to drive there so it's about a 13 hour drive. 5 hours into the drive on what was going to be first night stay, I got an email saying my reservation was no longer available and to call the service line. This was around 3 pm in the afternoon so around check in time had I been in Detroit already. The lady said the hotel was not available anymore due to overbooking and they would put me in a different hotel and make up the difference in charges. I said ok and that because I was part of a conference, I needed to be in the area of the conference center and suggested a few places she could check, one of those being the Holiday Inn Express Downtown Detroit which was a listed overflow hotel for the conference.

She put me on hold and came back a while later and said she had secured me a room at the Holiday Inn and that everything was moved over. Great! As I was driving a bit further, I checked the confirmation email that arrived and said I was I booked in the Holiday Inn Express but in Windsor, Canada, NOT in Detroit or even the right country. Yes Windsor is technically on the other side of the river but it's not "walking distance" or the right country or, more importantly, the hotel I asked her to check. Clearly there she just booked the first place that came up in her area search.

I called back and got another agent who said he needed to verify that I did indeed say I wanted to be in the Detroit area and that I said that Holiday Inn before they could cancel and find a new place. What a pain... So I waited and he came back and said I was correct and cancelled the reservation at the Windsor hotel and put me on hold again to find another hotel. When he came back, he said everything was booked up and that they could either put me in a 2 star hotel 30 mins away. This was not acceptable. He also then told me that their price difference policy is limited to something like $100 more a night. The lady made no mention of the limit. I know for a fact there were more rooms available at the higher tier hotels as I had checked earlier after the first call. They just didn't want to cough up the money.

Finally, he said he might have found something and then proceeded to offer me the Holiday Inn Express... in Windsor. The one he had just cancelled. In the end, I cancelled everything and will never use this service again. What is the point of this service if they can't reserve a room??? What if I had flown to Detroit and got this information while going to hotel. I ended up not having anywhere to stay at all.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

While in the Philippines our honeymoon was extended one day in Manila. Instead of striking the 7, I struck the 8 for the date by mistake. Unwittingly I made an error in sending the booking request before rechecking the date. Immediately after sending the request, I noticed my mistake, but when I contacted the 800 number given in their website, I was put in some kind of automated loop that could not respond to my requests. Once I finally got a hold of a live person which took a lot of finesse Hotels.com refused to credit the mistake, and even lied about attempting to credit us by contacting the hotel. Months later after my bank ran an investigation Hotels.com refused to release our funds hiding behind a trumped policy. They flat out refused to give our money back for a simple mistake. This is nothing less than theft by deception and I would like the world to know the character of this operation.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I bought hotel voucher to Patong, Thailand to stay at the BYD Lofts Boutique Hotel for 5 nights. When I see the price for 2 adults (5 nights) it is Aud 2299 w/ breakfast. Since we are travelling with another 2 children, we put 2 adults and 2 children on our booking with the Hotels.com. Then the price becomes $2969 which very reasonable since we have 2 extra children in the room. Everyone will assume the difference in the price which is Aud 670 is to cover the 2 children. However, when I asked Hotels.com, they said I still have to pay extra bed and extra breakfast to the hotel at the hotel's charge. This is the first time I book through Hotels.com with the reference from my ANZ credit card. However I felt tricked and I could have booked under 2 adults and use the difference of $670 which I paid extra to Hotels.com, I can pay it directly to the hotel to cover the extra bed and breakfast for my kids.

I wish I read the review before purchase with Hotels.com. This company should be investigated as I can see many negative review about the company. I attach my booking confirmation payment with the price $2969 (2 adults and 2 kids) and the price with the same type of room when booked for 2 adults only which is only charged $2299. Where is the $670 my extra payment going? The Hotels.com is taking consumer's money without providing extra benefit from the extra charge. Try to think for future business and not one-time business only.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I couldn't attend an event in Santa Barbara, Ca., so I canceled the room. I looked at my bank account and they had taken the full amount out. I called the hotel, and they said I had checked in, but that they also said that I had canceled. It was something "the system" did. I get tired of these incompetent people who can't tie their shoes without relying on "the system". I will be getting in touch with a class action attorney, and we will see how their "system" works then. This is a consumer ripoff, and needs to be stopped.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I booked a hotel on Hotels.com. I called the hotel to get directions after I had booked it on Hotels.com. The lady did not speak English and did not understand. I did not know how to get there and kept hanging up on me. I never stayed there and Hotels.com will not help me to get my money back. -0 rating and I would never recommend them to anyone. Customer service was rude and no help and just said they were not going to refund my money.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I booked a Marriott Hotel several months ago through Hotels.com and never received the email confirmation. I found my reservation and attempted to cancel; they claim it is non-refundable. I contact the hotel directly and they contradict what I was told. I call Hotel.com back and they keep telling me the hotel will not refund; they have not been paid yet according to Marriott. This crap has gone on for 4-days. Lesson learned, book direct and screw third party websites.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I was booking a room at Mission Point Resort at Mackinac Island, MI through Hotels.com for a special weekend at the end of October. I called Mission Point for information and they couldn't find my reservation! They said I had to call Hotels.com to find out what up. I called Hotels.com and got the typical awkwardly friendly broken-English call center they said my reservation was for September - and the dates don't even match the dates I reserved IN October! However, my checking account was debited of the full amount IMMEDIATELY! She put me on hold and said she was calling Mission Point.

When she came back she said we were NO-SHOWS! Of course we were NO-SHOWS because I booked a month in advance! She said she would talk to a supervisor and came back and said their system showed no irregularities and unfortunately I'm out of luck. I'm disputing the charge and sending a message of warning to Mission Point that they're in business with an unethical secondary marketer that's profiting from them and the consumer.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Had to cancel my room. After speaking with two reps explained I could no longer attend my trip because of a death. I kept being told I could not cancel my room because the hotel said it was against their policy and I would be charged the full $400. I said F Hotels.com, I am calling the hotel who was very kind and let me cancel my reservation. The hotel also said they had spoke with Hotels.com reps and that the reps just had told them I wanted to cancel. Nothing about the fact I had a family death and was no longer able to attend my reservation.

Their reward systems is a scam. I've decided to see their pricing and then call hotels to see how much they charge a night. I came to find out that it is cheaper to go directly through the hotel. Hotels.com was usually $20-$50 higher. So after you've accumulated your "reward points" you've technically spent that money being overcharged by Hotels.com. Their reps are the worst people on earth. Filipino robots.

Hotels.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.hotels.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use