3.39/5
Based on 1,677 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Hotels.com

Looking for a travel site?

2667 Hotels.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 2, 2019

I booked a hotel through Hotels.com about 2 weeks ago. We are supposed to check in the day after tomorrow. I decided to try to switch to a hotel closer to the area that we will be enjoying this weekend. I contacted customer service to see about the possibility of just switching our reservation to another hotel instead of going through the whole cancellation and rebooking process online. The customer service rep, Jovy **., was awesome! They were so kind and prompt, they were able to switch our reservation to the other hotel that we chose without a bit of an issue, and we also got a small refund as the room was a little cheaper! No waiting on the cancellation to be credited back to us and having to pay up front again while waiting for that to happen. It was fast, simple, and Jovy was so courteous and helpful! Thank you Hotels.com!

Original review: May 23, 2019

I recently made a booking with Hotels.com. I've made about 30 reservations with them over the last 5 years. Never had an issue. I called the hotel to confirm the reservation, and they said they don't have one, and they can't fix the problem, they were very rude and unwilling to help. Long story short Hotels.com not only fixed the issue but gave me a $100 voucher to use on this trip or another trip for my troubles. They quickly took care of the problem, which by the way the hotel CANCELLED my reservation for no reason so it WAS their fault I had no reservation. Needless to say I won't book there again but Hotels.com staff took care of it and they were very friendly and helpful, which is why I have faithfully used them for 5 years.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have used Hotels.com for the last 2 years and have had consistent success. I can compare available hotels quickly and easily. I also know I’m getting a good rate. I read many bad reviews here by people who do not pay attention to details - terms and conditions, added fees, etc - all of which are clearly spelled out. I also see complaints about deceiving images, but these are marketing pictures from the hotel. What do you expect? If it looks too good to be true, read the individual review for that hotel. If you had a bad experience with the hotel, write your own review. There is a link to Yelp on all of them. Nothing is hidden.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

At 5:00 a.m. on October 10, we had to pack up and run from Panama City Beach as Hurricane Michael was changed from an expected Category 2 to a Cat 4 - plus hurricane. There were no hotels anywhere to be found by then. We phoned Hotels.com and had a reservation within 2 minutes less than an hour from our location on the road that was out of the path of the hurricane. It was a lovely hotel at a reasonable price, nearly filled with other evacuees. We had passed hotel after hotel, all of which were full. We didn't think we'd find anything until we called. We are so grateful for Hotels.com's speed, kindness and resourcefulness under trying circumstances. So many blessings have occurred in our area since Hurricane Michael hit, the first of which was Hotels.com! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I see some very negative reviews of Hotels.com here. In my experience, they often do a better job than going to the hotel's website. Reasons to use Hotels.com. They often are cheaper (even when the hotel says it "guarantees the best deal") and the website faster. Much easier to compare amenities and prices. They actually disclose all the fees, which some hotels keep hidden until after you make the reservation (I'm talking about you, Affinia). They make the cancellation time restrictions very clear (again, many hotels make this difficult). You get a (complicated, but real) 10% discount if you use hotels.com regularly. This is above often getting a better price than the hotel's website. The only time I have had a negative experience was when I made a reservation 10 minutes before showing up at the hotel, and I had to sit on my heels for 30 minutes while the check-in staff found the reservation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: July 22, 2019

We made a reservation for 3 nights at the Ana Intercontinental Hotel in Tokyo for March 2020 (high season). We selected the option that included free cancellation until a couple of days before the check-in date. A few days later we called Hotels.com to change the date to arrive one day earlier. The person I spoke to proceeded to cancel the reservation and make another one. It wasn't until some time later we realized she had made the new reservation with a penalty of one night to cancel or change. The person on the phone NEVER mentioned that there was a change in the cancellation policy for our booking. We have since decided to do a tour in Japan instead of arranging our own trip and tried to cancel our booking. This is 9 months ahead of our check in date.

We are unable to avoid the one night penalty (substantial in Tokyo) and Hotels.com would not acknowledge that the error was theirs in not informing us of the new terms, as we would never have accepted something without a cancellation option. Hotels.com says that the person we spoke to was obligated to review that with us and that they have no record that she did not do it! Hence they insist she must have done it! Well, she didn't. They take no responsibility for this error and we are out a lot of money.

I might mention that I went to the hotel website directly recently and I was able to get the same price without such a cancellation penalty. It is 9 months ahead in high season. We will pay the penalty and for sure they will rent the room. Hotels.com should not engage in this type of transaction with the hotels they represent. There was no value added here and the customer service was unsatisfactory. Do your research and read the fine print very carefully and book with the hotel directly.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I made a hotel reservation and accidentally selected the wrong date on a non-refundable purchase. I called the hotel who was happy to change the reservation from me if Hotels.com would agree. Hotels.com refused to coorperate and I had to pay for the room twice. DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE. THERE ARE SO MANY OTHER BETTER OPTIONS.

Thomas **

Original review: July 19, 2019

He would not transfer me to somebody with more authority as I was insisting and then he hung up! I mistakenly booked two rooms in the same region of Lyon France. One was closer to the wedding than the other and I needed to cancel one. They were for the same exact period of time. Hotels.com website allowed me without any warning to book 2 reservations. This was done months before my travel and I discovered it as a travel date was getting closer. I contacted Hotels.com two weeks ago. They assured me that they would look into it and call me back. I never received a return call.

Just now I called again. The first agent although he tried couldn’t help me and transferred me to a second person of higher authority. The second person was not understanding that this it is a problem with Hotels.com. The hotel I booked would not make the refund however Hotels.com should stand behind their program because it allowed reservations to be made for the exact period of time!

Original review: July 19, 2019

I stayed at a hotel in Vietnam that was paid for in advance through Hotels.com. When I checked out of the hotel the clerk insisted that they only accept cash and hadn't received any payment from Hotels.com. I went ahead and paid. When I arrived back home I contacted Hotels.com and told them what happened and asked them to investigate. I have heard nothing. I believe the people at the hotel were telling the truth and Hotels.com might have pulled something.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I have booked a hotel last year with Hotels.com & my Confirmation# ** which is at Red Carpet Inn Jeffersonville, 2016 Hospitality Way, Jeffersonville, 47130, IN. When I check-in they gave me room all the way in second floor, It was disgusting, not even have AC. I have never seen an motel room in such a situation that it was as bad as it is in a deteriorating situation the beds are used and, restroom is used and not clean, we were very tired and we didn't have any choice. We asked the guy who gave me the room and asked, "How could you give us a room like that!" He gave us another room and it looked same. We left the motel and and asked for refund, the motel guy said, "It's the Hotels.com that you've paid to", so told us to get that from them.

Called Hotels.com asking for my money refund and they not even care anything. They said the money cant be refunded and after at-least half an hour of conversation with them, they agreed to get send 57$ worth of Hotels.com money card that I can use it online anytime within one year, to book a motel room using Hotels.com (How kind and generous they are!).That's the money that I paid to book the motel. That's my hardworking money. I have never used and will not use Hotels.com again and I just saw an email they sent with subject line "Amazing news! Discount of up to 50% - Book now!". I just reminded everything and thought of helping others at least, NEVER USE HOTELS.COM!!!!

Hotels.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs