1.18/5

Looking for a travel site?

2317 Hotels.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I’ve been booking with Hotels.com for quite some time now vs. other hotel websites. This one gave me the lowest price or the same price and the only difference is that it lets you know which hotel you are booking this hotel at. Customer service is easy to work with too and I want to give Stephen or Steven a shout-out for being efficient and helpful. Hotel we stayed at was University Square Hotel in Fresno, CA.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I booked a 2 night stay in Colorado Springs through Hotels.com and once I checked in found out that I paid DOUBLE through Hotels.com than if I would have just paid at the hotel. When I called customer service and talked to a supervisor I asked for a price match and they basically told me too bad and would not work with me at all. I promise this is the last time I use this ripoff site.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I booked this hotel through Hotels.com. I cancelled the room a week prior to the book date. The hotel charged my credit card anyway. Neither Hotels.com or the Embassy Suite would agree on who was at fault and did not reimburse my credit card. They blamed each other. This is a Hilton establishment?? Please beware of The Embassy Suites Washington DC’s management practices along with Hotels.com!! Red Roof Inn provides better service and customer satisfaction. I’ll update this post when someone decides to reimburse my credit for their mistake. Beware!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I found out the hard way that Hotels.com outsources a lot of their business through 3rd part suppliers, which can be alarming when you don't know the name of the company you are actually dealing with. This is probably ok when things go well, but a disaster when you have a problem. I made a group booking through the Hotels.com website and even though everything looked like it was from Hotels.com, including receipts, it was actually a 3rd party supplier called Hotelplanner.com.

When I tried calling Hotels.com for help with a booking gone bad, they couldn't even look up my confirmation number. None of the customer service reps had any knowledge that my booking was through a 3rd party supplier. They tried transferring me through different departments until they eventually hung up on me. I have yet to get any support from Hotels.com and feel like I have been scammed... Now that I am out $2000 and my kids ask why they aren't getting anything for Christmas this year - I can tell them to thank Captain Obvious.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Yes, I could read that the reservation had a "no cancellation" policy once booked. But, seriously, I canceled within 5 minutes of making the reservation and paying because I learned my trip was canceled! Nope, sorry, Hotels.com is going to go ahead and keep that $459 for the Four Seasons. Pretty disgusting that they won't work with a loyal patron and refund the money to re-book for another date. Won't be a patron now!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I booked a hotel with Hotels.com. I chose to pay at the hotel. I found a lower price. I contacted Hotels.com. Was asked to email a screenshot. I did. I received an email back confirming the lower price. I was told in the email that 72 hours after check out the refund would be processed. It could take 7-10 days to receive it back which is understandable. It has now turn into a cluster. I’m either told, "Oh we didn’t get the email" which I have the confirmation email confirming the lower price from them. Then told, "You need to contact the hotel directly for the refund." I’m not sure why the price wasn’t changed prior to arriving. I could have and should have canceled my reservation with Hotels.com and booked it with Trivago. I have definitely learned a lesson. Hotels.com has lost my business. For the next person. Cancel and rebook. Not worth the hassle.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I am very disappointed with Hotels.com. I had booked a stay for 2 nights to Boston through the website with free cancellation or change as I have done in the past. When I booked this room it mentioned nothing about minimum stays needed. Today when I called to cancel one of the nights because our plans changed I am told they have to check availability which confused me since I already had a room just needed to cancel one night. They then tell me I have to cancel my current room since I am not staying the 2 nights and rebook it for the current rate even though this was not indicated when I booked the room.

My original room was $419 a night (which was not cheap) but the new room would be $599 for the night. I was so frustrated by this I ended up canceling my whole stay. What a crappy deceitful company. I had a free room coming to me but I had to book and use it by 10/22/18 which was my plan so now I am going to lose that free room. This is the worst company to deal with, false advertising!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

We were traveling to Bisbee AZ for my husband's job. We booked a hotel the first night we were there and was using VRBO for the rest of the week. We initially were going to drive back on Friday but thought it would be nice to stay in Tombstone Friday then return Saturday. I went to make the reservation at Tombstone Monumental Guest Ranch. While making the reservation Hotels.com had a pop up come up on the site that was offering a much lower price for our stay. Of course I clicked on that and proceeded with the reservation.

Little did I know they had changed the dates! When I received the confirmation letter I just assumed it was the way I had reserved it and didn’t open it until the next day. When I did look they had changed the dates to the date we already had a reservation at the other place!!! I called immediately and asked if they could change the date to the one I made originally but they told me it was booked so they had to make a cancellation. I was told they contacted Tombstone and spoke to a lady named Michelle and she told them it was fine to cancel without penalty. I received the email telling me this but then read on where it said I agreed to the cancellation policy stating I would be charged the full amount of 205.74 if I cancelled after the 11th.

I reserved on the 12th. How could I cancel before the 11th??? Anyway... another call to Hotels.com and they assured me again there would be no penalty. Lo and behold this morning I have a charge for 204.74 on my card. I call again and they said it was never confirmed to cancel it. I have the email. Then she proceeded in telling me she called Tombstone while I was on hold and they told her they never confirmed it. I hang up and call Tombstone and they weren’t even open until 8 am. This was before 7!!! I call back and ask to speak to the supervisor and after being on hold for a long time they hang up on me. This is insane!!! I will NOT recommend using them ever ever ever!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My wife and I began our 40th wedding anniversary trip with Ireland. Unfortunately, due a bad weather our plane was redirected to Belgium for several hours before returning to Dublin. When we arrived we were notified our initial lodging -- booked privately -- had been canceled as they did not anticipate flights coming in that night (that's a different story). When arriving in Dublin we went online and found a room through Hotels.com at the Hilton downtown. After spending all day traveling and 50 Euro on a taxi there we were informed when we arrived that we and about 20 other people had been overbooked and no rooms were to be found. It was 20:30 at this point; the Hilton indicated they had notified Hotels.com they were full 3 1/2 hour earlier. I contacted Hotels.com customer service line and attempted to work with them to find another room -- any room so that my wife and I could get some much needed sleep after our long day of travel.

My call was dropped numerous times without a return callback even though they had my cell number. I made several attempts between 20:30 and 2:45 to get anyone in their customer service department to assist with them providing no assistance whatsoever. Ultimately, we were forced to camp out in the lobby of the Hilton until 4 am before traveling back to the airport to get a rental car to travel to our next destination. I've booked with other sites Booking.com, Expedia and Airbnb, all of which have shown some level of compassion and care when a mistake has been made. Hotels.com did nothing! Hotels.com does not operate efficiently with its vendors and has little if any concern for its clients amidst their own failures. As a result, I want to assure them that I will be letting them and everyone I know to stay away from their site. I would encourage anyone who reads this to share my testimony with others as well.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

OK so this is partially a complaint against Hotels.com, but also against the Sonesta ES chain. 2 hours before check-in I get a text from Hotels.com that my "booking is guaranteed and all paid for." Booking was cancelled by Sonesta ES in Princeton NJ because they overbooked! So they put me in another hotel for the same price, which I come to find out the room is cheaper (overpaid but they never told me) and it also only includes breakfast for 2 (we had 4) so now I also had to pay additional for 2 meals. After dealing with Hotels.com for over an hour, they tell me the new booking was more expensive than their app lists because it was a last minute booking (no fault of mine). Eventually they offer me a $50 coupon, which still doesnt cover the additional amount I ended up paying. I am close to getting my 10th night free, so once I do I am pretty much done with this website. They truly don't value the customer. I am disgusted by this whole thing.

Hotels.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

• Best for: Budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs