2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Hotels.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hotels.com?

Original review: July 17, 2020

Hotels.com's customer service has been head and shoulders above similar companies, taking the time and care to actually fix booking issues and obtain desired and appropriate solutions. I will definitely be sticking with this company in the future. The customer service chat specialists helped me obtain a refund for an initially non-refundable booking within days of when I was supposed to be checking in. This has not been my experience with similar companies. Hotels.com emailed me when they said they would and kept me updated throughout my claim process. I was very satisfied with their responsiveness and results.

Original review: April 13, 2020

I've been using Hotels.com for years. I haven't had negative experience but I usually prefer other booking websites more because their support is easily reachable. Having said this, I've made many reservations through Hotels.com too. I am writing this review about Hotels.com because most of us have had reservations during the Covid-19 outbreak and I am sure you've all had negative experience dealing with cancellation issues related to flights and hotels. I also experienced some good and some bad cases so I feel it is right to publish a positive comment for Hotels.com in a time when many airlines and accommodation websites tried to benefit from the situation and didn't offer their customers refund for a reservation during the coronavirus period.

In brief: We had booked a hotel for March 27th (non-refundable). As March was approaching we started realizing that this trip was not possible because of the quarantine in our home country and the unsuitable period for travelling to UK having in mind that many tourist sites would have been closed. So we decided to cancel the trip and the hotel booking. We tried contacting Hotels.com over the phone but we couldn't reach them as all lines were busy. In the meantime, we saw a message on Hotels.com website saying that if your trip is within the next week you should be expecting an e-mail from them.

We received such e-mail 6 days before our scheduled stay in the hotel. Hotels.com provided several options for us to decide what to do with the reservation. One of them was to cancel this non-refundable booking without any cost. We chose this option and were informed that we'd receive a full refund but due to the unprecedented volume of travel disruptions, refunds may take up to 30 days to process.

I am pleased to confirm that in 3 weeks I received the refund automatically to my credit card. I use this opportunity to express my gratitude to Hotels.com for taking care of their customers and not causing them additional expenses for a trip that failed because of circumstances beyond control. I wish I could say the same for Booking.com but my other reservation for our next upcoming trip was not refunded by them and we were left dealing with the property itself which refused payment for our non-refundable reservation. Anyway, I'll keep on using Hotels.com for future reservations as customer support and assistance matter and deserve a little loyalty.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: March 13, 2020

My daughter is in Sweden since January 2020 (graduation gift). She was supposed to return in April 2020. With all the covid 19 virus restrictions, I got really worried and rescheduled her flight to March 17, 2020. Since Trump announced the "travel ban" from Europe, I was trying to figure out what it meant for her. The info out there was so confusing until I've got the email from Hotels.com. Finally, I had some answers and since she's a US citizen, it seems like she's able to travel back home on the 17th. I have to say that this was the first real info I've got since all this started. I'm grateful for hotels.com. Very clear and precise information. Thank you. I just hope that all works out and she'll be home with her family where she needs to be. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Hotels.com has excellent customer service. They go out of their way to figure out the issue that you have and find ways to fix them if other ways are not working. Satisfaction limo transfer funds to a different Hotel. They will do what they can assist you in changing hotel stays as well as giving complimentary coupons/gift cards codes four issues dealt with certain locations.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I booked a hotel via their platform and when I arrived at the hotel, the hotel mentioned that they had cancelled the booking on that same day since they were full. Had to find another hotel that same night. Contacted Hotels.com customer service and received very prompt responses from them. Unfortunately, this mistake was made by the hotel. I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with their customer service. They gave me a 100 Euro Credit Coupon for the inconvenience.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Back in June 2020 I reserved a room to help my child move into her dorm room out of town in August. Because of Covid-19, a week prior to my check in, the college that my daughter was going to closed their campus. So I was forced to cancelled my reservation since there is no point of me going. I didn't think it would be a problem since I paid for one night and added the insurance.

When I cancelled I gave them a week noticed and I was told that even with the insurance I paid for I would not get refund and would need to file a claim. I submitted a claim and sent documents that the school closed. It was out of my control. Someone who was reviewing my claim stated they would contact me but instead a month later I get an email from Rocio **, claims adjuster stating that I was aware of the Covid19 and that it was unforeseen. Then had a nerve to send me a definition of what Unforeseen means...

“Unforeseen” means not known, anticipated or reasonably expected, and occurring after the effective date of the benefit under which the claim is being made. People should really be aware of this company. It's upsetting that as a single mother and working part time due to Covid19 and losing money to a company that is taking advantage of the situation.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Hotels.com has false advertising. The pictures of hotel rooms don’t match the actual rooms. Customer service is poor and doesn’t want to resolve anything. I booked a room at Red Roof inn at Jackson MS, when I got there I was shocked from how dirty and unhealthy the room was, the hotel refused to solve the problem neither the Hotels.com.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Hotels.com doesn't answer their phones or allow live chat. It's a scam. They charged me for rooms not even reserved at hotel. Get to hotel only to have to pay for new room reservations.. Still on the phone with no one.. Shameful. As gold member I will never never contact this company again for my travel needs.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Despite being a customer with this group since 2013 I had the worst customer service experience of my life. Rather than acknowledge my request to credit my account for the full balance of nights stayed, the agents left me in cyberspace by not replying to my questions or resolving my concerns. For the gesture of providing a fair resolution they could have retained a loyal customer who gladly promoted their services. Instead I will NEVER book through this company again. An apology is expected.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I made a reservation and 15 minutes later canceled it due to an honest mistake (I was looking for a hotel in Memphis instead of Nashville). I wanted to rectify and book a hotel from the same chain in Memphis. However, I didn't get any refund because the reservation had a policy of "no refund cancelation." I give one star because of their lack of flexibility and lack of willingness to help. Even airlines let you rectify a purchase made by mistake if reported in a timely manner.

Hotels.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Hotels.com is a website dedicated to helping travelers find lodging at hotels, motels and resorts. It lists deals from over 325,000 hotels around the world.

• Free hotel rooms: Travelers receive one free night for every 10 they book.

• Group discounts: Hotels.com offers discounts for large groups.

• Secret Prices: Travelers can access Secret Prices by downloading the Hotels.com app, subscribing to emails or becoming Hotels.com Rewards members.

• Negotiation tool: The negotiation tool at Hotels.com lets travelers set their own prices to get better deals.

• Last-minute deals: Hotels.com regularly has up to 20,000 last minute deals for travelers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team