2.89/5
Based on 2,700 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Priceline

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Priceline Reviews

Original review: June 26, 2019

I purchased an Express Hotel Deal for July 4 and the rate was $93. That same Express Hotel Deal for the same date is now $72. I've spoken to customer service and the explanation I'm getting is ludicrous. Best Price Guarantee states that if you book an Express Deal and you find the same itinerary at a lower price, you get 200% of the difference back.

"Price must be in the same currency, using the same form of payment and from the same point of sale as your original reservation when you call us. The lower price must be an exact match to the itinerary booked on priceline.com, including offering of a comparable cancellation policy. Additional restrictions apply*." "How to Match: Hotels: same hotel, check-in and check-out dates, number of rooms, room type including bedding and view selection". According the customer service, the rate they guarantee does not apply to Express Deals yet that contradicts their advertising. If you book an Express Deal how can the hotel be matched, seems like Priceline is trying to backpedal on the policy by it not being 100% clear.

Original review: June 12, 2019

After reading so many horrible reviews about Priceline, I was skeptic on using them. So far so good. I called the hotel and airlines DIRECTLY to confirm my seat through Priceline and they had my reservations even though I didn't register direct and I went through Priceline. I'm not sure how people have so many problems with Priceline? I always make sure I know I'm going on the trip and I quadruple check that nothing comes up on the dates where I know I'm taking a trip that costs a lot so I don't have to go through the hassle of getting refunds (in case they don't refund me). I always call the hotel and airlines directly to triple check everything and I received an e-mail from Priceline to check-in. They didn't automatically cancel my reservations without my permission. I don't know why people have so many problems with Priceline!

Save yourself the hassle of making sure your credit card and banking number went through before you arrive to said hotel and are surprised you don't have a room. You should have had a receipt e-mailed to you confirming your reservation before you arrived. It's not Priceline's fault for some people's incompetence of making sure their reservations are correct. When looking for a hotel near my event, I had a choice between a very cheap motel type place or a more reputable place. I saved more money for the nicer hotel to ensure I'd have proper reservations. It seems that people have hotel reservation issues when they pick sketchy hotel places at one star rates.

I heard car rental can be an issue so I'm not renting a car. I'm taking Uber just to save myself the trouble of being surprised of getting a beat down truck when I thought I'd get a working four door car. I also don't go to sketchy remote places where there are no ways to triple check my reservations. However, even if a customer made a mistake, I hope Priceline has improved their customer service. I know before they didn't have that great of a customer service. I just hope I don't have to call customer service so I make sure everything is good for my trip so I don't have to call customer service to begin with. So far so good. I leave for my flight this afternoon and had reserved my seat. The hotel said they will have my room ready for tomorrow when I arrive. If this trip goes smoothly, I will use Priceline for future travels.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 7, 2019

In a recent three-day trip to New York, I decide at the last minute to rent a car, and in my search for rentals at La Guardia Airport and after several searches, Priceline came across with some the best deals in New York, that quickly I made my car selection and reservation and pre-paid the total, including auto rental insurance for $11 a day. Little to know and to my surprise, when I arrive at Hertz car rentals at La Guardia Airport, my reservation was for Newark airport, at the other end of the city. Hertz customer service people were friendly and helpful but unable to switch my reservation. I called Priceline and after several calls on hold, over ten minutes each, in addition, my wife was communicating with customer service via chat line with no tangible results.

At the end I gave up, and we decided on taking a Uber ride to the hotel, and after seeing the incredible traffic jams, it was smart to take an Uber ride and get to the hotel and continue my call with Priceline, as at this time I just wanted to cancel my reservation. After several communications after that, Priceline decide to cancel my reservation and refund me all of the money. I am grateful that Priceline did the right thing even though the reservation was not refundable or exchangeable, thank you Priceline! -Omar

Original review: May 30, 2019

My reservation is still over 3 months away, but things were booking up so fast that I had to get my booking done. I often use the Priceline website Express Deals to book rooms as there is some excitement in finding out what hotel you end up getting. The only drawback is that you must prepay and can't cancel. I guess that's the chance you're taking in saving a great deal. Another bonus was that if I booked on my cellphone, I received an extra percentage off.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Priceline employee actually took the time to look for a good price hotel for me. When I called HotelPlanner they said there is nothing in the area for a better price. A room for one night was 211 with HotelPlanner, the girl on the phone said there is no better prices. I called Priceline. They found me a hotel 100 dollars less than the HotelPlanner price. I will never use HotelPlanner. I will only use Priceline.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Priceline?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I called to book a hotel through Priceline. An agent named Luke (his complete name is Lucas, but he goes by Luke), walked me through the booking process. Towards the end of the call he read the term stating that the booking was non-refundable, and I said that this is not something that I want. He said that it was too late, and that he had already booked it. I told him that I had not agreed to this, and he said that it was too late, there was nothing he could do about it. I feel the need to indicate that I had not given him permission to book. I am now arguing the case with Priceline.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Car (Sixth) - leaked and soaked my clothes in the trunk. Hotel (Comfort Inn Turlock) - Boiler blew so no hot showers. Night crew knew it blew but didnt notify anyone until the morning. We had no hot water for a full day. Pool was closed. Staff was rude. I stepped on exposed carpet tack that was rusty in the transition from the carpet to the tile in my room. I immediately notified the front desk but they didn't do anything. Now I am getting a tetanus shot post vacation. I asked the general manager, Stephanie, to make it right both directly and through Priceline. The response I got was not satisfactory on either front.

To top it all off, my flight home was cancelled without explanation so I spent the last three hours not visiting with my family, but rather talking to the airline and car rental trying to reroute a flight. I called Priceline initially but they told me I would have to speak with the car and airline direct to see if they would help me. Car & hotel told me to talk to Priceline. Priceline said they couldnt do anything if the facilities weren't willing to so they couldn't help me. I have now learned my lesson and will only book direct so the companies I work with are both legitimate and have some obligation to treat me better than they did while using Priceline.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I've used Priceline for many years and had no issues with them. This year I've used them twice for car rentals and been screwed over by them twice. It appears they are starting to employ deceptive business tactics at the cost to the consumer. The first time this year I booked a car rental in Chicago. I was quoted a price and that is what I expected to pay. My flight was delayed and I was in a hurry to pick up my car and unfortunately I did not pay attention to the contract I signed at the rental car company. My mistake but there is a pattern here. The price on the rental was almost 3 TIMES what I was signed up for. I did dispute this with Priceline and the car rental company. I had documentation showing what I was supposed to pay and what I got charged but I never did receive a full refund for the difference.

Just recently I rented again. I was sure to pick a rental that was payable the day I rented the car not at the time of the signing up for it on the web. I had problems with the web page and refreshed. I ended up with a rental that was payable immediately. Only I didn't know it. It was hidden in the small print on the page. When I immediately realized the mistake, I called Priceline. No one I talked to could rectify the situation. They just didn't have the option to do so. I had to call the car rental company immediately to get it cancelled. Still Priceline charged me for the rental even though it was cancelled with the car company.

I realize in each case if I had been more vigilant on my part, I would not have gotten into such a situation. When I've made mistakes in the past with priceline or there was a mistake on their part they were quick to rectify it. It's why I kept coming back, now it appears their business model no longer allows their customer service reps to rectify the situation, Even escalating the problem to supervisors was of no use. I would not recommend doing business with them.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

VIP deal is not a reward to LOYAL customer. It is worse than EXPRESS deal. Only advantage is knowing the hotel name. It is expensive than express deal and not refundable. Priceline deceives the loyal customer by using a word "VIP."

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Used Priceline to rent a car, had an issue in my payment with rental company. Priceline couldn't help with that although the reservation was made through them so technically I am their client. They have no authority on the companies they work with or list on their website. Next time just go to the service provider or the car rental directly. Very disappointed, worst experience.

Priceline expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Priceline is a Connecticut-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates offered by a wide range of travel businesses, including hotels and airlines.

• Price negotiations: Priceline lets customers name their own prices for hotel rooms, rental cars and flights.

• Last-minute flights: Travelers can get extra discounts by booking last minute flights.

• Customer service: Priceline responds to customer service emails within 12 hours.

• Group discounts: Priceline can help groups get discounts including a free room for the group coordinator.

• Travel bundles: Bundling travel services through Priceline can give travelers extra discounts.

• Best for: International and domestic travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs