1.06/5
Based on 395 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Last updated: May 20, 2018

3072 Priceline Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 20, 2018

I have previously had some positive experiences with Priceline, so I can only say it reflects on them that they defrauded me out of $178 on my recent trip to Denver. They rated the hotel I reserved, the old run down Quality Inn in Globeville (central Denver) as a 3 star hotel. What a joke. When I arrived in the lobby, I thought I was in the State Pen. Scary looking types, ** and Hispanic, with tattoos and ganger look. Very bad news. Awful what ** does to your teeth. The front desk was understaffed and oblivious to the people standing in line. There was a cigarette filled sports saloon on the opposite side of the lobby area. I asked for a non-smoking room, but was told that all floors were smoking except the bottom two. The hallways reeked of cigarette smoke.

I told the clerk the place wasn't even close to 3 star, but they refused to reverse the charges. Definitely not a place for a family or business person to stay at. Priceline online customer service also refused to give me a refund and said they cannot help me, that is was up to the discretion of the hotel, who refused to give me a refund. Then I was cut off. By this time it was getting late in the evening so I booked on Priceline for a Quality Inn in another area where I had previously stayed. Bottom line is don't trust Priceline's hotel ratings unless you have actually seen the hotel, because Priceline does not visit the hotels it rates.

Original review: May 19, 2018

My significant other and I booked a hotel through Priceline.com and initially were happy to see a better price offered compared with other hotels in the area. After booking and arriving at the hotel, the front desk informed us we had no reservation and to call Priceline, because they didn’t even have ONE room left. So we were charged by Priceline, called them and initially spoke to “Jan” or “Jam” and kept getting the run around and put on hold and directly LIED to regarding her “attempts to call the hotel and no one answers” (8 times to be exact, she told us) and that is the only way they can refund us.

We literally were at the hotel and were they trying to call? No. The front desk was not even helping anybody and didn’t get a call. The hotel staff was even having difficulty with Priceline’s customer service. Unless you really push, they make a simple process frustrating and LIE! I never have had that happen. Needless to say, 30 minutes later of being put on and off hold and speaking to “Jake” (who may or may not be a manager), we finally got a refund granted. If my significant other and I hadn’t run into the hotel (in the rain, by the way) and given them OUR phone, I still think we would be trying to get a refund. I can’t even count how many times we were put on hold for them to “contact the hotel” (or not). Pain in the butt... not a great way to start a relaxing evening out. Ranting over! :)

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2018

DOWNTOWN SEATTLE HOTEL: HORRIBLE - HOTEL WAS NOT IN THE AREA I ASKED FOR. CHAT SERVICE IS HORRIBLE - customer service is horrible! Stay away from this website - run!! They lie - cheat - and will never refund your money. They charged my fiance's card by who knows how?? Had it billed to my 17 year old daughter not going and put me in a hotel out in the boonies nowhere near where I was suppose to be. Then they said, "Oh well. Too bad." I said, "How did you get this info???"

Original review: May 18, 2018

Do not use Priceline.com for anything. Their pricing is appealing but you get what you pay for except if you have a problem. I conducted a search for minivan rental for a 10 day trip at San Diego Airport. The reservation ended up at San Francisco Airport somehow. They refused to change, cancel or refund over $600 because of their "No Changes Policy". Whenever you have a problem you must talk to a person who speaks broken English with a heavy accent reading prepared statements to general questions. There is no one who can resolve your problems. They do not care about their customers and I was hung up on several times and I wasn't even obnoxious or yelling, simply presenting logical and reasonable positions that they did not have prepared statements for.

Please do not use this company. You may get by as we did for several years, but they got us good on this one. We had to pay for a rental van for 10 days without being able to use it and we had to rent another van from Avis at the airport we flew into. Avis Car Rental, by the way, had no problem with the change. It was all PRICELINE.COM.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Once you prepay they charge your AMEX immediately - within 2 minutes. If you want to ask questions or try to make any changes (even pay the difference) there is no help at all. Their customer service reps are reading the same info on the web page so don't even try to call. You get their recording for the first 3 minutes then they are useless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Priceline?

Original review: May 18, 2018

So I have been trying to book a flight online and it's just not going through! I have tried several times and same issue until I thought let me call them. I called and explained the issue to the lady. God knows where on the earth she lives, with broken English, told her what's going on and she is like "you have to keep try or change your search!!!" I am like!!!! It's not the search issue, is there anyone who could help me to figure out the bug and fix it or should I just book somewhere else, and she hangs up on me!!!! REALLY???? This is so crazy! Would never buy from them again! Go teach your employees some Costumer Service skills first!

Original review: May 18, 2018

Let me premise this with how hard it is to get a human on the line. When you finally do that person usually has a unintelligible accent and you have to repeat yourself several times. This is what I emailed Priceline... "My wife and I had a horrible night of sleep due to hotel mismanagement. We were forced out of bed at 4 AM this morning due to a horribly loud alarm that rang throughout the hotel leaving us scared and shocked and unsure what to do. We waited several minutes, unsure what to do and not knowing what was going on. We finally called the front desk and they said it was ok to go back to sleep, that one of the kitchen staff employees had put too much oil in the potatoes and that was the reason for the alarm.

After everything settled down we went back to bed but were unable to go back to sleep after this bizarre and unacceptable incident. At check out I informed the staff member but they failed to offer any kind of compensation. I spoke with 3 separate Priceline reps and they were unable to offer anything beyond a 5% discount on my next trip which is a slap in the face considering our rest was ruined and now we have another full day of driving with no rest. Priceline needs to do something about this and take this seriously. I paid for a full nights sleep and did not get that die to hotel mismanagement. You can call or email back. Thank you."

This was their response. "Dear Jesus, Thank you for taking the time to send us an email. We are sorry to hear your stay was not what you had hoped it would be. We address complaints directly with our hotel partners to ensure that future customers do not have the same issue. We contacted the hotel and
    we apologize, they are unable to work with us to provide a refund for your reservation. We are sorry if we are unable to provide the answer that you were

looking for. We would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us today." Consider this if you are looking to use Priceline. Also keep in mind hotel manager admitted kitchen staff caused alarm by overlooking potatoes at 4 am. Completely unacceptable!!! Do not use Priceline!!!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I booked a direct flight for my daughter and granddaughter from SNA to ORD. After hitting submit I was charged for a flight that took them through San Francisco and arrived in Chicago after 1 am. I called customer service to have them correct it to the flight I had booked. The response was, "We will cancel the trip but charge you 15 dollars." I have used Priceline in the past but never again.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I booked a hotel in Savannah GA for 3 nights. I paid IN FULL with my credit card and also Paid the Credit Card Bill in full when my credit card statement arrived. I arrived at my hotel and the front desk told me my virtual credit card was declined. I would need another form of payment. I showed the hotel my order number from Priceline. The hotel called Priceline and explained the situation. Priceline agent said there was nothing she could do and hung up on the hotel agent. The hotel called again, this time asking for a supervisor and the agent with a heavy accent said she could not understand her and hung up again. The third time the hotel call, the hotel agent told Priceline to cancel my reservation... Priceline said she was not able to cancel the reservation.

THE 4th phone call placed by the manager at the hotel, she was able to cancel my reservation and rebooked my reservation in house with the hotel. Priceline called me to make sure I wanted to cancel my reservation and I said yes and told them why I wanted to cancel. After making NEW reservations with the Hotel, I paid 204.00 more which was just fine with me after dealing with Priceline for over two hours trying to get this issue resolved. This is the second time I have used Priceline with the same issues. I will never use Priceline and my company will never use Priceline again. Thank you again for the embarrassment of being in a hotel lobby to find out your virtual credit card was decline when it was paid in full. Great way to start off your honeymoon.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Terrible experience with Priceline. I booked the tickets on their website. However, within 10 hours I checked the prices for the same flight (time, airlines and etc) and it was lower. On their website says: "We Guarantee the lowest price on everything you book. Find a lower price, we'll refund you 100% of the difference. Book an Express Deal, we'll refund you 200% of the difference. Guaranteed."

I called their customer service and told them that the ticket price is lower and requested to adjust the price. Customer service was so unprofessional and unhelpful, she couldn't do anything, because she said "I don't see this price". Even I was in front of the computer and saw prices at the lower rates. I was transferred to the different department and was on hold for 2 hours, when sure thing low prices were gone. The customer service was EXTREMELY poor. I was very upset by this and will never book a flight through Priceline ever again. It is definitely not worth all of the problems they have caused, and all of the inconveniences.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I logged in to purchase a flight to Virginia. I selected both flights and was directed to pay and was offered to save $100 on the ticket if I applied for the Priceline credit card, so I did. I wasn't approved immediately, it took three days. So I go back to Priceline to purchase the ticket, but couldn't figure out how to get my $100 credit. I get on the chat window with Luke and I explain my situation and he seemed nice enough at the beginning, like he was going to help me.

Then he comes back with this canned explanation that essentially said that once I use the card, within the first 30 days, I would be given 5,000 points on my card, but I would not get the $100 off my ticket. When I proceeded to ask more questions Luke said he would not answer any more questions regarding the credit card, I needed to call them directly. What a crock. I won't be using Priceline again, for any reservation. They lie to get you to apply for their credit card. I didn't need the stupid credit card. I won't be using it.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I book a 1 bedroom hotel for 3 days through Priceline and ended up not needing the reservation and got stuck with a $275 (nonrefundable) fee. This is a disgraceful practice and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I find it responsible for me to share my experience of being ripped off by Priceline. A few years ago, my sons were working in Alaska and wanted me to visit for my summer vacation. I had located a round trip flight through Minneapolis for $380.00. My son, Mike, worked nights and offered to look for a cheap fare in the wee hours. The flight he booked through Priceline was $750.00. A week before my scheduled flight, I slipped on stairs and injured my back. The doctor I visited wrote a medical excuse that I could not tolerate travel until healed. The airline accepted the excuse, but advised me that Priceline would not. I was told, instead, by Priceline that I had a year to rebook and to use a transaction number, in addition to my son's information.

I am a senior citizen. It was a financial strain, but I reimbursed my son, The following year, we again attempted to book a flight for me to travel to Alaska. The airline (Norwest) informed me the ticket had been purchased by another airline. I followed the instructions to book through that airline. No record was found and I was referred back to Priceline.

Repeated attempts to communicate verbally and in writing with Priceline were unsuccessful. There was no service offered by Priceline Customer Service, except to purchase a new ticket through Priceline. This woman, now in her seventies will not offer Priceline an opportunity to again "rip off an old lady." I am currently searching for a ticket to Virginia. Priceline offers continually appear on my computer screen. The ads do not prompt me to buy from Priceline. They have prompted me to write this to, hopefully, help someone avoid the treatment I received from Priceline. $750.00 was taken from me, hours of my time, all for naught.

Original review: May 15, 2018

My experience with Priceline was terrible. I called their customer service multiple times because they messed up the dates for my travels. They charged me double for the hotel, and then they didn't put my information incorrectly so I was charged by the hotel as well. I was back and forth with them on the phone for TWO weeks, and the customer service was EXTREMELY poor. I was very upset by this and will never book a hotel through Priceline ever again, and will recommend that people book hotels anywhere but Priceline. It may be cheap, but it is definitely not worth all of the problems they have caused, and all of the inconveniences.

I had booked through Priceline since they had decent prices, but I ended up paying two-three times more due to their mistakes, which is very frustrating. Do yourself a favor and do NOT book through them, otherwise you'll have to deal with potentially being double charged, have your payment for the hotel through Priceline not go through and have to pay the hotel too as well as Priceline, and try to get help through customer service which doesn't help at all. Save yourself the trouble, and book through another company that may be a bit more expensive because at least then you'll know that they actually put your payment through instead of just taking your money and charging you twice and conveniently not having any answers or solutions.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I tried to book a hotel with Priceline but the website did not work. I received a web message telling me my credit card details had been entered incorrectly and Priceline still took the money. I don't know how money can be taken from my account if the website error message says the details are wrong! Not only that; Priceline took the money from my bank for the booking 3 times so far! My bank have confirmed to me that Priceline have taken the money. Over £2000 ($2500 US Dollars!) I called to complain to Priceline and they said I should receive the money back within 7 days! There was no apology, no rush to help correct their mistake, no escalation as to why the website gave the error message but managed to take the money anyway. Terrible terrible company, will never use again and advise everyone everywhere not to use them. I am questioning if this is fraudulent.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Horrible customer service when switching flights. Called several times about changing my son’s flight by one day. Priceline stated they couldn’t switch the ticket to a price less than the original. They made me pay for a more expensive ticket of the same flight even though there was an available price $20 less than what I originally paid. Where is the discount and service that they advertise? Furthermore the original ticket that I bought from Priceline was not discounted from the airline’s price. Very unprofessional, will never use again.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Priceline has the highest car rental prices, over $100 dollars for a day rental under the economy section. I used other means of car rental where they start at $32 even for a pick up truck. Will not be using Priceline ever. I created an account with Priceline just to write this review.

Original review: May 13, 2018

National Car Rental and Priceline, Terrible experience trying to rent a car, policy on debit cards was not clear and they would not honor my reservation made several days prior to pick up date. I had to pay a 42 dollar cancelation fee because they would not fill the reservation. The “oh well, it’s your problem” attitude of this company is bad, be careful and read all agreements very carefully. Will not use them again.

Original review: May 10, 2018

ON MARCH 5TH I BID ON A CAR. Accepted Avis $462.00 bid for Fort Myers, FL from May 12-24, 2018. A totally unexpected family emergency arose today and we are unable to go to Florida. Their cancellation policy is iron clad. Would not even consider a partial refund!!! BUYER BEWARE! NO MERCY.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I booked flights with Priceline, and they made a mistake in the confirmation. I tried to call immediately to correct the booking mistake. The call goes to a hold mode, and no EVER answers the phone. I've tried calling 4 different times within the 24 hour fix/change time frame and get the same response - none. Each time I've called I've been put on hold for over 1 hour! And no one EVER came to the phone. I am concerned if the booking are even legit at this point. Don't waste your time or money with Priceline, not worth the headache or fear that the company is even real! Learn from my huge mistake - better to pay more for a real booking, and customer service that actually responds to a phone inquiry to fix a Priceline generated mistake!

Original review: May 10, 2018

I purchased my ticket for $797.99 with the intent to cancel if my vacation was not approved (24 hr cancellation on website). It wasn't so I called and the representative said this reservation cannot be cancelled or changed, much to my surprise. I took it further by calling my credit card company and they started the dispute, it's now two months later and Priceline will not entertain my dispute nor will they give me anything in writing stating that I called to cancel within the 24 hours. They need to be investigated for false advertising. This money took me a long time to save. I am going back home to elderly parents 3000 miles away. What they did was unforgivable and dishonest. Someone needs to look into their dishonest practices. Just go to their website and you will see for every flight information at the bottom it shares 24 hr cancellation. Please help me.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Made a reservation to a hotel in Kissimmee, Fl and used this third party company because it appeared to be cheaper. Reservation was for 2 adults and 2 children of 10 and 7. To our surprise, a confirmation was sent back for only 2 adults so only 1 bed. Of course the credit card was entered and charged so when I called the hotel, they stated that Priceline and the hotel had their combined rules so if I wanted to upgrade it was going to be $80 more and only a sofa bed would be added to the room. Not a two-bed room! After calling Priceline to complain about it, they said "too bad" and if I decided to cancel my reservation, they would still charge the full amount for the 4 days we had reserved. I recommend to everyone, do not use this company. They have shown how they do not care about the customer at all.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I book a hotel room on Priceline.com and the place was a complete dump. There were blood stains on the wall, the toilet was leaking out on the tile, there were bugs in the room, the carpet had semen stains, everywhere was dirty. There was coffee in the coffeepot that appears to have been there for months, There were dirty socks on the floor. We called Priceline as soon as we arrived at the hotel and noticed the conditions and they refused to help. They told me to speak to the manager of the hotel and it was 2 am. There was no one on site except for the front desk clerk who did not have the authority to make any decisions. I was assured by Priceline that they evaluate all the hotels that are listed on their website.

Original review: May 8, 2018

When purchasing a travel package Priceline really knows how to make their customers feel our business is important to them UNTIL WE PAY. I spoke with two different representatives about my trip that is a month away and they basically told me, "Too bad, it’s an 'exclusive deal.'" They were useless and do not care at all about my travels or even try to accommodate me or help make any suggestions. I will NEVER purchase anything else from Priceline due to their TERRIBLE customer service.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Priceline was horrible for us. They've gone downhill. I've booked every vacation through them, and now they are doing false advertising on their hotels. In Express Deals, I was offered "bed choice" -- something you absolutely need with a family of four. After paying, I was told bed choice would be available once I got to the hotel in 2 months. So if they sell out of rooms with 2 beds, my kids would have to sleep on the floor. They refuse to change the reservation to guarantee 2 beds, and they refuse to refund me. Two of the Priceline supervisors challenged me saying it did not say bed choice until I was able to prove it. One of them kept saying it was impossible that it said that and implied I was a liar more than once. I've added a screenshot where it proves there WAS a bed choice promised. I'm stunned by this awful level of bad management from a place I patronize every single vacation. Shame on you Priceline, and get better customer service!

Original review: May 7, 2018

I booked a hotel in Orlando through Priceline approximately 60 days before my trip, I was in Florida in a different area and the day before my check in I got a email saying the hotel was overbooked and they switched me to a different location, well I had chosen that one for its location and really nice poolside area. The one they changed me to was not even close to as nice. After many calls and lots of time wasted on the phone I got a room in a similar property. When I checked in there I was told I had to sit through a 90 minute vacation club presentation as part of my stay there, like I had not wasted enough of my vacation time on the hotel mix up. They got rude also when I let them know I had no intention of purchasing anything.

This is also the second snafu I’ve had with Priceline. The first time my daughter and I took a late flight in and I booked a hotel close to the airport just to sleep the one night, we got in around 12:45 am and were told our room was gone, so the confirmation they give you means nothing. I called them and they booked us in another place 25 min away so we ended up not getting to bed until about 1:30 am. So if you want to be confident in your reservations and sure your vacation will go smoothly as planned do NOT use Priceline.com

Original review: May 7, 2018

I booked 2 rooms for a business trip via Priceline. They charged my CC on both rooms. When my staff arrived before I, they had the reservation but no payment. She had to pay with CC of no room. When I arrived they had NO reservation nor payment confirmed. I had the copies of the confirmations with me, yet no information. So I had to REPAY for both rooms at a higher rate. Called customer service and with had to deal with the customer service that transferred me to Booking.com and after 30 minutes received a refund of the charges applied by Priceline or Booking. Not sure at this point who does what and they said they would refund the difference of the higher hotel bill and the price quoted by Priceline after I presented them my CC statement. Next time I book direct with the hotel! No more middleman.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I booked a hotel with Priceline and they promised me a three star hotel and the booking is non-refundable but they gave me a wrong name and address of the hotel. Me and my family were in trouble there and when I called Priceline the supervisor named "STEPHEN" told me its non-refundable and we can't do anything. I pray to God these cheat people should be punished and especially the supervisor STEPHEN. He was very rude and bad. I wish I could have spit on his face. God will not forgive these cheat and fraud people. Just to make money they can do anything.

Original review: May 3, 2018

And then makes you dance through hoops trying to correct the situation. Their system took a one day rental, changed it to a week rental, and charged me. I'm allegedly going to lose $50 FOR CANCELING. It took me several tries to get it to go with the 3rd morning, to the third evening, I then went through with putting in the info and boom, the reservation LEAPT forward a few weeks and changed to a week... Unbelievable.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Don't use this site. Having never used them before and having used Booking.com and Airbnb countless times without hassle, I thought I did my homework and checked reviews and did a scam search on Priceline. All appeared above board and I found a great deal on Priceline after spending many, many hours scouring the internet for 'exactly the right place' to stay for 5 nights in Phuket.

I selected a specific suite with Seaviews in a resort- took a screen-shot of the page that showed the total price for my dates and correct suite on the page in which I entered my personal details and payment details, double checked all was correct pushed CONFIRM PAYMENT and lo and behold the next window opens confirming my NON REFUNDABLE payment (a large sum), and a different, inferior suite with garden views! What a take!

I contacted the 'live' chat immediately and though the message told me I was first in line, I waited over 40 minutes for a customer service agent to join the conversation. I explained the dilemma and the system mistake that had occurred through no fault of my own to be told I would have to contact their partner site Agoda. No toll-free number provided- extremely poor and deceptive service. Agoda have responded but taken 72 hours to rectify the mistake after numerous emails from me and a copy of the screenshot. Sadly, what looked like a great deal has been costly as I have had to pay twice and will not receive a refund for one of the bookings (NOT MY FAULT!) for up to 30 days- how can that be any less than a scam when both my payments were debited from my account in minutes?? I have also incurred additional international transfer fees on both transactions- Never, ever, again!

Priceline expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Priceline is a Connecticut-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates offered by a wide range of travel businesses, including hotels and airlines.

• Price negotiations: Priceline lets customers name their own prices for hotel rooms, rental cars and flights.

• Last-minute flights: Travelers can get extra discounts by booking last minute flights.

• Customer service: Priceline responds to customer service emails within 12 hours.

• Group discounts: Priceline can help groups get discounts including a free room for the group coordinator.

• Travel bundles: Bundling travel services through Priceline can give travelers extra discounts.

• Best for: International and domestic travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs