Priceline

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We are traveling as a group of 8 and booked 4 rooms via Priceline. By the time we arrived at the hotel checking in, there's only 3 rooms reserved at the hotel. As apparently the hotel only got 3 reservations from Priceline not the 4 I booked and got confirmed. We then called Priceline and they sent us to a nearby cheaper hotel with very bad reviews. When we talked to the manager, the Priceline manager gave us attitude and insisted on there's nothing he can do. The hotel front desk was very nice but Priceline was really irresponsible and not helpful at all. We wasted about 2 hours on the phone and got roll-over beds ultimately. I will not book through Priceline anymore.

I made a mistake and booked the wrong flight and hotel. I was hoping that because I called within 15 minutes after booking I would be able to cancel it and re-book. They were completely unhelpful and now I'm stuck with a flight and hotel to the wrong location. Never in my life have I had a company so unwillingly to help a customer out. I will never ever ever use Priceline to book travel again. There are plenty of other websites to use with WAY more helpful people willingly to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy, and Priceline is NOT one of them.

Several months ago I gave Priceline a pass on a major mistake they made and now they screw me. I recently tried to change the return date on a rack rate airline booking. They wanted to charge me more than a totally new ticket. Prior to this they had made a mistake on a hotel price where I booked a 4-star hotel for $25 per night. They called me and I accepted their mistake and allowed them to cancel my reservation with a measly credit of $25. William Shatner owns a major part of this company (he is great) but Priceline should be ashamed. They even kept me on hold for 30 minutes to let me know they were going to rip me off (my call to them from my winter home in Mexico cost $1.00 per minute). I will never use Priceline again!!!

I rented a car through Priceline and discovered minutes after I booked the car that I rented it from the wrong airport. I called within minutes and asked them to change the reservation to the right airport. They said it was impossible, that once a booking is made there is no change possible. I called the rental company and they said they would be happy to do it but that it goes through Priceline.

To make a long story short after numerous calls and one hour later, Priceline would not change anything. I would never use them again, ever. Complete scam and terrible customer service. This was a lesson for me that cost over $400 in rental fees that were never used. When I booked later at the right airport, on a different site, the rental rate was actually much lower than Priceline. They not only are unfair, but their prices are often higher. It is a terrible company and I would encourage everyone to stay away. My only regret on this review is that I could not give them zero stars.

I have had a wonderful relationship with Priceline until recently. But then they billed me for something that I was not responsible for. They absolutely refused to remove the erroneous billing or even discuss it. I will never be a Priceline user ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Priceline?

I made a reservation with Priceline.com for Thanksgiving Day 2016. During my reservation Priceline asked for and I gave then my MasterCard card numbers. They gave me a confirmed reservation number, and emailed me details of the rental agreement including charges to my card and a notice to bring a valid driver's license and the card used during the reservation. Which I did. Only at the counter at MSP Airport on Thanksgiving Day, to be told that they cannot accept my card because it is a debit card. Now that Is ** up! The card was fine during the reservation, and then at time to execute the rental, to be told my card isn't acceptable. STAY AWAY. GO TO HERTZ. HERTZ ROCKS!

I used Priceline to obtain a room for my stay in Richardson TX for 5 nights. Regular hotel rate was $89 per night. I was able to bid a Priceline rate of $65 which was accepted by Wingate of Richardson, TX. I have always used Priceline since 2002 and have never been let down.

Stay away from this website. The rates announced are never the final rates!!! If you pick one of their "best deals", they will let fill your details and the time of the booking, you'll get a message that the deals is no longer available. They will then take you to a page where their best deal is now twice the price you saw earlier. It is a total scam. No surprise it is FAILING website and people no longer use it.

I had booked a flight on Priceline. After booking got a offer to rent a car. Generally the combined offers are good. So I booked a rental car because it said they will match any better price! This was my draw to book, and then I found a cheaper offer, so I called them to match it. They gave excuse, "IT HAS TO BE FROM THE SAME COMPANY" and that my booking was a PREPAID one, so no refunds or Changes!!! Very disappointed with their 3 Cust. Service agents and the managers! Already telling all my friends about this experience, and stopping them from using Priceline. Any putting a word out there for others not to fall for False Advertisements by PRICELINE (or BAITLINE).

I called for a mid size car. When I arrived they had a large SUV. Also, I informed them that I had insurance and did not need additional insurance. I refused the SUV and finally they gave me a car I requested but they also charged me $139.00 insurance. They advertised a 45% discount. It was not. Because I was in such a hurry, I forgot to look at the contract. I had to pick others up in another town to travel to a funeral. The car was not in good condition. I called Priceline and informed them of the problem and it was a nightmare for they denied that I did not give the correct information and they were correct. I have no intention ever to rent from them again. I was humiliated.

Booked a two night stay in Nashville. Called the day of and had to cancel cause of a family medical emergency. They couldn't get in touch with mgr of motel cause it's a weekend so I just lost $190. I will never use their services again and will steer all my clients away from them. I am in the travel business and deal with 30-40 customers a week. They will all be informed of the way Priceline treated someone who had an emergency... Without any feelings or customer service and satisfaction. Just glad it was not a big vacation!

Got reservation from Priceline for car rental through Avis, never used. Avis gave me a much better price than Priceline in person. I used Avis in person to save. I was still charged Priceline's full amount along with the Avis rental I bought. Never use Priceline, they are bad news.

Tried to rent a car, booked it on Priceline. When actually at Avis counter was told that the reservation is not affiliated with the rental company. Priceline refused to give me my money back. Total scam and money theft! This business has to go!

I'll make a month long story as short as possible. I've spent 13 hours and one month of my time trying to reschedule a flight WITH a health certificate. After 13 hours on the phone, 3 faxes, 2 health certificates, they were willing to do NOTHING to help me out. In the end I ended up paying MORE, the FEE and received no compensation. The big man wins again, the hard working small person loses. SHAME on you Priceline! Never again!

I bought a vacation package and had a horrible experience. First of all the rental car place Budget said I must buy full coverage ins. with them. I already have Geico, but they basically forced me to. Then our hotel by Universal Studios, CA the Sheraton, was dirty and noisy, the staff did not care. When I came back from our horrible trip Priceline would not do anything. They just gave me numbers to contact Budget and Universal Sheraton. A 100 emails later nothing. Over $1200 trip down the drain. Priceline customer service is in another country and they do nothing but talk down to you!

Priceline.com business is scam and horrible customer service... I no longer will do any business with them. Bunch of stupid people who only read script. 2 days after booking a ticket with them and even though I purchased an insurance protection with them, they no longer honor my insurance to cancel the purchase due to an emergency in the family. They are asking me to show them proof, which is against HIPAA and patient privacy policy. I no longer do business with these thieves and dishonest people.

This is only my account and no one else's. This is what happened to me and my hubby when dealing with Priceline and the shady way they act on their price guarantees. I went through them online to get my car rental when going on a trip, the receipt had the breakdown in American and under in brackets was the Canadian amount. Knowing what it was going to be I booked the car rental for the time needed. So I thought that the airline tickets would have been the same but the price wasn't in Canadian it was American. I got charge for a whole boat load more than what I was expecting on my MasterCard.

When contacting priceline.com they informed me that I wasn't within the timeframe of their price guarantee which is only 24 hours after booking, so there really isn't a guarantee on it because when you go to dispute a different price they then inform you that because it's in American dollars that they can't give you any kind of credit or refund as their guarantee is limited and I mean very limited. Another thing I needed to change my dates flying out and in and there is no refund or exchange for a different flight. Okay I always get flight insurance and would have paid for whatever to have been able to change dates because life happens but I got "we're sorry there's nothing we can do for you" crap!

So I found a flight for $550 less and even cheaper than their American price originally quoted, and the dates I needed but I have to eat it and figure out a way to go these date because it's none refunded and nonexchangeable, no coupon or Priceline credit. Nothing because this company is very shady indeed. Save your money people when it comes to this company. Go to the actual websites and watch prices, it'll be way cheaper in the long run for you and you will probably even be able to have the life happens moments and change your dates if it happens that way. Not worth the hassle and you don't save in the long run. I learn the costly way. Don't follow me. Learn from me.

I tried to buy a plane ticket through them. Not only did their computer glitch and charge me 5 times for the flight insurance, but they pre-authorized the plane ticket purchase, then told me the bank had rejected it and they didn't actually charge me for any of it and it would be fixed in 3-7 days. So I let my bank know what was up and they said that the charges for the 5 insurances had been reversed, but not the ticket itself and that I would be charged!! So I contacted Priceline to say it was fine if they charged me, just give me the ticket and info and they insisted I hadn't been charged so they couldn't give me the ticket. A ** NIGHTMARE!!! Will never use them again.

Priceline is related to booking.com. When I booked with Booking my room was canceled due to no payment and Booking did not tell us. Then while I was stand on a street corner in New Orleans, Booking did not want to help me and said to book another room and they would fix it later. I tried to tell them I had no computer and after pleading with Booking they booked the room for me. Now I used Priceline and they must have flipped the booking to booking.com and they are saying the room is canceled due to no payment again. I have the confirmation it was paid for, I have never had a problem with Priceline before and now will never use them again because of their partnership with booking.com

Will never do business with Priceline again. Their position on 'customer service' is without logic or reason. When you need help with their company, all of their customer agents follow some ridiculous mantra and that is to blame the computer system's lack of flexibility in being able to do anything to support the customer. I have lost money based on a reservation I made with them for a rental car that any reasonable person -- or a company that actually cared about the customer -- would have adjusted. Because of weather problems that caused me to have a delay to pick up my rental car, they would not adjust their agreement by allowing another person to simply pick up the very same car that was reserved for me. I couldn't add them as an additional driver OR follow any of their options to allow them to pick up the car.

Ridiculous logic... as the rental car was already fully paid for (Priceline or the rental car company is not out of any money), the insurance coverage was the same as for this driver since they were part of the family and with the same last name, and they held a valid driver's license, etc. What reasonable person would deny this option? They said you had to be at the counter to sign to make this switch. Of course if I could be at the counter, I would not need this. Instead, I am stuck because of weather and they WOULD NOT ACCOMMODATE this over the phone, Skype or any other way to have my reservation be handled properly.

Instead, we had to pay for a second rental car, forego the full payment that was already made through Priceline and spend over 3 hours on the phone with different agents to get to that useless end point. I was told that if the problem with my travel delay was due to an earthquake, then this would be adjusted, but because it was not an earthquake, they can't allow it to happen on their computer system. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH PRICELINE. You will be out of money with no reasonability.

Tonight I went to the Priceline.com website and checked for hotel availability in Wilmington, NC. I saw that there were 3 rooms available. I proceeded to book it, entered my banking (card) details and the system took my money. Once I called the hotel locally where the room was booked they promptly informed me that the booking was not in their system and advised that I call the company which I made my booking through and ask them to populate the booking into their system. I proceeded to call Priceline and they directed me to their sister company in Malaysia (Agoda.com) to discuss my customer service issue. Then they informed me that they needed to discuss the matter directly with my husband, whom I made the reservation on behalf of. I called him, and asked him to call them.

They then informed him that they had no available rooms and that they would find him a room in their system to no avail. Then to make matters worse they informed him that we would receive our refund in 7 to 10 days. So tonight my husband is in another city and he does not have a hotel at 2:30 am in the morning. How is this possible?

While traveling through Tennessee on October 30, 2016 we decided to book a room in Jackson, TN. We made a $65 offer for two rooms at the Best Western in Jackson. After nothing happened on our Ipad Mini and we thought we would have to start over, we checked our email and there was the confirmation that our offer had been accepted and we were charged $158 on our credit card. We received an email receipt from the Best Western the next morning and found out that the extra $28 was all Priceline's fee and not the "fees and taxes" claimed in the email. All taxes had been in the accepted $65 room rate and none were in the extra fee.

We contacted Priceline and their response was the equivalent of "well you still got a better deal than the hotel's standard rate so we should not be complaining." We told them that an over 20% fee only revealed AFTER the charge was made to our credit card was unacceptable and we thought we deserved a refund. They sent us a follow-up email asking us to share our experience with our friends and family and we are very glad to comply. We will no longer use Priceline and recommend the same to anyone who wants to know.

I accidentally booked a rental car from Avis for the wrong week via Priceline.com. Two days after the incorrect date I noticed my error and called Avis. They told me they had rented my car to someone else when I did not show up and they would be glad to move my reservation to the next week for no additional charge. I just had to get it done via Priceline.

When I called, Priceline said they would not do it because the reservation was non-refundable. I had even rebooked my rental car through Priceline for the correct dates at a higher price. I mentioned this to the 3 agents of Priceline that I chatted with and all of them just quoted company policy to me. I just made my 2nd phone call to Priceline tonight and same story -- the 2 agents I spoke with just said it was my mistake and it was non-refundable. They said they would not refund not even $1 of the $535 mistake.

I asked them if this is a common practice where they profit from others' honest mistakes and to my surprise I was told that in the case of a non-refundable rental, the answer was yes and that it is legal. I am sure it is legal, but certainly unethical. Avis was ok with the change in dates and isn't this who you are ultimately renting from? Now that I know that Priceline will happily feast on any mistake I make, I will NEVER use them again and will share my experience with anyone considering to use Priceline.

I have booked using Priceline before and had no issues, but this recent time I booked a cruise and had to cancel it a week later. 120 days prior to the vacation and they hit me with a 100 dollar cancellation fee. I'm going to rebook a vacation this summer and make sure not to go through them.

I booked a hotel through Priceline and cancelled it immediately. The website showed that I would be getting a full refund as I have cancelled it before the cancellation time. Later after two days I see a charge on my account for the hotel I cancelled. I mean what the heck was that? It was their mistake and they have charged me for that. When I contacted the customer service, the service was not good at all and my problem wasn't solved. I don't know what to do now. I lost my money. Never ever recommend Priceline to anyone.

This was the worst experience of my life! I will never use Priceline or Economy again. No one offered any kind of acceptable rectification. It was so bad and all anyone wanted to do is cancel the reservation and tell me to re-book with another company being that they were unable to fulfill what I was supposedly guaranteed by Priceline. Who in their right mind would be okay doing that to end up paying over 200 dollars on a confirmed reservation originally priced for 70.89! First I was guaranteed unlimited miles, to learn upon arrival that was not the case, then to be told because I live in Orlando my confirmed rate would not apply to me.

After fighting it they honored the pricing but not the miles I was even going to go as far as paying for the extra miles because it began to run late and I was suppose to be on the road to Myrtle Beach which btw was ruined because my personal car was not up to par and needed an oil change before I hit the road and because both parties I missed a day on my already short trip that needed to be made. I got a car rental so I wouldn't have to drive my own car! Finally when I thought we finally reached a solution, you can't go past Georgia, the car will turn off on you. So now after all the time wasted more money that was going to come out of my pocket just to get this done neither parties could give me what I reserved and supposedly guaranteed by Priceline.

It was never disclosed that the car would not go past GA anywhere and no one would help. At that point Priceline missed the ball in my opinion and should have covered the expense of the difference with another rental car company and if Priceline wouldn't eat the added cost for their mistake and poor service, how do you expect a customer will just be naturally okay to pay for it. As for Economy, the assistant manager was completely rude, disrespectful, talks over you, walked away mid sentence, no empathy for the situation. I had to get on the phone to get them to honor the rate and also speak to his manager that was in the same building. He wouldn't even tell me that the manager was the 3rd person down to his left.

He even went as far as telling me when I asked to speak to his manager while on the phone with Economy that he is in charge and no one is above him here other than Jesus, you ask me who gave this guy this role? He doesn't even have respect for his direct boss who is in a position of authority over him while at work! I am going to post this everywhere so people can see the type of service to expect.

I reserved a car, cancelled it within minutes, and got charged ANYWAYS! I talked to customer service and they said it was cancelled. My credit card cancelled it and Priceline rebilled me for it AGAIN! This is not fair.

I booked a hotel through them for our vacation. The money was withdrawn from my account which was fine. Then a week or so later, as I am checking my bank account, I discover Priceline is drawing out a second amount. When I call, the first gentleman indicates he cannot assist me and would have to refer me to customer service. Then he indicates their phone lines are very busy because of this very complaint. When I get a representative, she indicates that I have booked a room for the 22 & 23. When I told her that was not me and that someone must have stolen my information she just said ok but the reservation has been confirmed by me... which I did not do so. I will not be using Priceline again. I do NOT recommend Priceline!

I booked a hotel through Priceline and when I arrived (after a long bus ride and expensive cab to the hotel) there were "no rooms available" even though I had been charged for one. Priceline kept me on hold for an entire hour, when I had a flight in only 6 hours which my fiance had also booked through them. The gentleman at the hotel found us another (Thank you Holiday Inn Express in Durham!!) and relocated us while we Sat on hold. The customer service representative was kind and helpful on the phone when they finally got to us, but the room still hasn't been refunded as promised, over a week later. I don't recommend this company, use Expedia instead!!

I purchased 2 tickets seattle to Bangkok return. I bought Alliance insurance included. Afterwards I contacted Alliance insurance to find out about the coverage and they had never heard of us. I called Priceline again 10/13/16 who after initially denying what I said conceded that it was true promised me that they would call me in 72 hours. No call at all then or ever. I called again this evening twice. Two hours later I got no where. They said there were no more phone numbers that I could call and that I was not speaking to anyone in USA and that there was nothing to be done and I could not get my money back. I am disgusted that these people are in business.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Priceline is a Connecticut-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates offered by a wide range of travel businesses, including hotels and airlines.

• Price negotiations: Priceline lets customers name their own prices for hotel rooms, rental cars and flights.
  • Last-minute flights: Travelers can get extra discounts by booking last minute flights.
  • Customer service: Priceline responds to customer service emails within 12 hours.
  • Group discounts: Priceline can help groups get discounts including a free room for the group coordinator.
  • Travel bundles: Bundling travel services through Priceline can give travelers extra discounts.
  • Best for International and domestic travelers.

Compare Travel Sites