2. Travel

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.73/5
Based on 2,707 ratings submitted in the last year

Priceline Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I booked an Express Deal through Priceline. When my credit card statement came, we had been charged by the hotel for breakfast and parking. The Priceline advertisement stated that breakfast was included in the deal, and said nothing about the hotel charging for parking. Customer service removed the charge for breakfast, but not the charge for parking. Basically, you can't trust the prices advertised on Priceline.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Working off a large smartphone I set up a hotel reservation for that night, found what I liked, double checked it, paid, and when I received the confirmation with the reservation information they had booked me for the 24th instead of that day (The 18th) and for the same name brand of the hotel I set the reservation for but not the same hotel. I am completely different town. I immediately contacted them and they stated there was nothing they could do. Completely 100% not refundable. To add insult to injury they took their money as fast as they could, days before the reservation they incorrectly set up was even supposed to occur. Avoid this scammer website at all costs. I should've stuck with Trivago. I've never had a problem with them. Lesson learned.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

We reserved a 2 queen suite w/ sofa bed hotel room for 2 adults and 4 children, no smoking. We arrived to the "hotel" a day early and found that all the rooms are accessible from outside only and you can stand right outside your door and smoke. The smell penetrates the surrounding rooms. The pictures of the rooms and hotel were deceptive. I contacted Priceline about the discrepancy in the details of the room, location, motel, vs hotel and the non smoking property. They refused to cancel our reservation, the rep was rude, was answering my questions with questions or stipulations and technicalities. They refused to cancel our reservation even though the room was nothing like what we had reserved.

The rep had a bad attitude and took way too long to write back; probably hoping I'd get tired of waiting. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told I could call their 1•800 number but the result would be the same. The rep kept offering to cancel my reservation only to charge me regardless of if we stayed or not. What garbage practices. Book directly with the hotel so you don't get robbed by priceline.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Very very disappointed with customer service!! Booked a room out of Edmonton, Alberta for my daughter's flight out and tried to book a room for her return 8 days later. Tried to add a room for return flight, did not get confirmation that the room was booked. Two days later received an email from Priceline that I was so close to booking it. Would I like to continue?? YES!! Assuming it was not booked, I booked again, as requested. Then I get an email two days before arrival that I have 2 rooms booked and paid for. Priceline customer service and customer service manager were 0 help! ZERO. Paid for two rooms for one person. Thanks Priceline. HAD been using you for years! NOT now! Customer service was the worst!!! Unbelievable in this time of transparency!!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Rented a car on from Dollar on Priceline. (The pickup and drop off was Las Vegas.) When I got the confirmation there was a link for Counter Information. That link lead to a page that said the counter was off-site and there was no shuttle service. For Dollar's part, who does not provide shuttle service to their lot this day in age? Shame on them. But for Priceline, this fact was not divulged until I had made a payment and then received the confirmation. Too late to take into account before booking.

When I called Dollar they told me to call Priceline. When I called Priceline I was told this reservation was non-callelable. I could NOT cancel or change to a different rental company that had on-site or shuttle service. Whether I do business again with Dollar is doubtful. But with the lack of flexibility with Priceline means I will never, ever do business with them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Priceline?

Original review: June 26, 2019

I purchased an Express Hotel Deal for July 4 and the rate was $93. That same Express Hotel Deal for the same date is now $72. I've spoken to customer service and the explanation I'm getting is ludicrous. Best Price Guarantee states that if you book an Express Deal and you find the same itinerary at a lower price, you get 200% of the difference back.

"Price must be in the same currency, using the same form of payment and from the same point of sale as your original reservation when you call us. The lower price must be an exact match to the itinerary booked on priceline.com, including offering of a comparable cancellation policy. Additional restrictions apply*." "How to Match: Hotels: same hotel, check-in and check-out dates, number of rooms, room type including bedding and view selection". According the customer service, the rate they guarantee does not apply to Express Deals yet that contradicts their advertising. If you book an Express Deal how can the hotel be matched, seems like Priceline is trying to backpedal on the policy by it not being 100% clear.

Original review: June 12, 2019

After reading so many horrible reviews about Priceline, I was skeptic on using them. So far so good. I called the hotel and airlines DIRECTLY to confirm my seat through Priceline and they had my reservations even though I didn't register direct and I went through Priceline. I'm not sure how people have so many problems with Priceline? I always make sure I know I'm going on the trip and I quadruple check that nothing comes up on the dates where I know I'm taking a trip that costs a lot so I don't have to go through the hassle of getting refunds (in case they don't refund me). I always call the hotel and airlines directly to triple check everything and I received an e-mail from Priceline to check-in. They didn't automatically cancel my reservations without my permission. I don't know why people have so many problems with Priceline!

Save yourself the hassle of making sure your credit card and banking number went through before you arrive to said hotel and are surprised you don't have a room. You should have had a receipt e-mailed to you confirming your reservation before you arrived. It's not Priceline's fault for some people's incompetence of making sure their reservations are correct. When looking for a hotel near my event, I had a choice between a very cheap motel type place or a more reputable place. I saved more money for the nicer hotel to ensure I'd have proper reservations. It seems that people have hotel reservation issues when they pick sketchy hotel places at one star rates.

I heard car rental can be an issue so I'm not renting a car. I'm taking Uber just to save myself the trouble of being surprised of getting a beat down truck when I thought I'd get a working four door car. I also don't go to sketchy remote places where there are no ways to triple check my reservations. However, even if a customer made a mistake, I hope Priceline has improved their customer service. I know before they didn't have that great of a customer service. I just hope I don't have to call customer service so I make sure everything is good for my trip so I don't have to call customer service to begin with. So far so good. I leave for my flight this afternoon and had reserved my seat. The hotel said they will have my room ready for tomorrow when I arrive. If this trip goes smoothly, I will use Priceline for future travels.

Original review: June 7, 2019

In a recent three-day trip to New York, I decide at the last minute to rent a car, and in my search for rentals at La Guardia Airport and after several searches, Priceline came across with some the best deals in New York, that quickly I made my car selection and reservation and pre-paid the total, including auto rental insurance for $11 a day. Little to know and to my surprise, when I arrive at Hertz car rentals at La Guardia Airport, my reservation was for Newark airport, at the other end of the city. Hertz customer service people were friendly and helpful but unable to switch my reservation. I called Priceline and after several calls on hold, over ten minutes each, in addition, my wife was communicating with customer service via chat line with no tangible results.

At the end I gave up, and we decided on taking a Uber ride to the hotel, and after seeing the incredible traffic jams, it was smart to take an Uber ride and get to the hotel and continue my call with Priceline, as at this time I just wanted to cancel my reservation. After several communications after that, Priceline decide to cancel my reservation and refund me all of the money. I am grateful that Priceline did the right thing even though the reservation was not refundable or exchangeable, thank you Priceline! -Omar

Original review: May 30, 2019

My reservation is still over 3 months away, but things were booking up so fast that I had to get my booking done. I often use the Priceline website Express Deals to book rooms as there is some excitement in finding out what hotel you end up getting. The only drawback is that you must prepay and can't cancel. I guess that's the chance you're taking in saving a great deal. Another bonus was that if I booked on my cellphone, I received an extra percentage off.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Priceline employee actually took the time to look for a good price hotel for me. When I called HotelPlanner they said there is nothing in the area for a better price. A room for one night was 211 with HotelPlanner, the girl on the phone said there is no better prices. I called Priceline. They found me a hotel 100 dollars less than the HotelPlanner price. I will never use HotelPlanner. I will only use Priceline.

Not sure about Priceline?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Priceline expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Priceline is a Connecticut-based company that helps travelers find discounted rates offered by a wide range of travel businesses, including hotels and airlines.

• Price negotiations: Priceline lets customers name their own prices for hotel rooms, rental cars and flights.

• Last-minute flights: Travelers can get extra discounts by booking last minute flights.

• Customer service: Priceline responds to customer service emails within 12 hours.

• Group discounts: Priceline can help groups get discounts including a free room for the group coordinator.

• Travel bundles: Bundling travel services through Priceline can give travelers extra discounts.

• Best for: International and domestic travelers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team