3.5/5 (1449 ratings)

About Expedia

Expedia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: June 23, 2022

Really bad customer service. Never give clear information booking time and after then we call they hang on all time. Their mistake in my booking but I have to pay $200 a bag at airport. Because airline don’t allow checks in bag.

Original review: June 21, 2022

Please don't trust Expedia in planning your vacation, expedia ruined my vacation that we planned after 3 years. I booked a hotel "La Malmasion boutique hotel" almost 2 months ahead of time so I got a good rate for my hotel, but the night before I could check in to the hotel I received an email from expedia that they canceled my hotel. I contacted expedia and they took no responsibility arguing that hotel canceled and they can't do anything, by then the hotel's price was so high that I could only find a hotel with lower rank and farther from the location of the first hotel with the price I paid 2 months ago. Later I contacted the hotel that had canceled my reservation and they said they never got my reservation from expedia and I was not the only case and it happened with a number of other guest.

Expedia never followed up regarding this case they just gave me a case number that is useless because after 3 weeks from the discussion with expedia they never got back to me and never compensated me for ruining my family and my vacation. The customer service that I got from expedia is the worst I have ever got with any company. The standard is not up to 3rd world country let alone North America. I wouldn't recommend this website or their services to anybody. If you want to enjoy your time never trust "Expedia".

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2022

Expedia advertises.. "Your one-stop travel site for your dream vacation." "Book your entire trip in one place" and "We're with you every step of the way." FALSE ADVERTISEMENT... BEWARE! On 5/19 my friend and I booked a complete vacation package for 4 adults/1 child through Expedia with flights and resort to the Bahamas leaving 6/12. While searching for airport transfers, we discovered Expedia had booked our flights to Nassau and our resort in Freeport. It was not until this time that we realized they were two separate islands!

We called Expedia on 6/9 and spent HOURS being transferred from one agent to another. Although each agent was very apologetic and tried to help, they were unable to find us a different or connecting flight to Freeport. The next option was to change hotels, but they were unable to find a comparable all inclusive resort that allowed children in Nassau for our dates. After two days of trying to fix, our only option was to cancel the complete trip days before we were to leave. A refund for resort was given but only vouchers for airlines in which 1 airline charges a $99 fee for each ticket to change. We felt Expedia needed to make this right for their huge error and asked to expedite our problem to headquarters. We were first we were told we would hear back in 72 hours. After contacting them 96 hours later, we were told it would be another 5-7 days.

We finally heard back from headquarters on 6/16. The lack of responsibility and customer service from headquarters was appalling. We were told there was nothing more they were WILLING to do, additional flight charges were out of their hands, it was not their fault but OURS for not noticing the airport error. Expedia is NOT a company that stands behind their services and they would rather place the blame on the customer than take responsibility for their errors. It was even pointed out to them that their website was still incorrectly booking the wrong airport with resort package. As of 6/16, the website is NOW corrected and giving correct flights. A formal complaint has been made with BBB, but wanted to warn and make others aware.

Original review: June 11, 2022

Me and my bf had flights that went from the US to Paris, and then from Paris to Tbilisi. Our flight to Tbilisi got canceled so we asked for a refund on the canceled flight. Expedia refunded both flights without telling us. We didn't find out until we were at the airport because our ticket status was refunded. We had to pay last minute cancelation fees on our Airbnb, had already got expensive covid tests for getting on the plane, had to buy new tickets which were now double the price, and we were not allowed to refund our flight we had booked to replace the canceled flight.

Both me and my bf had to spend an extra $1000 each because of their mistake, and even after contacting Expedia twice, they won't do anything about it. Save yourself the trouble and book flights through the airline provider directly. Don't get caught in the loop where the airline provider says you need to contact Expedia, and Expedia tells you they can't do anything because they aren't the airline provider.

Original review: June 11, 2022

Expedia booked me for a flight that didn't exist! All my itinerary from Expedia stated my flight was Fri June 10th. When in reality the airline doesn't even fly out on that day. The flight the airline had me booked for was Thurs June 9th therefore we missed our flight since we know we booked for the 10th and all our info from Expedia read the 10th. We never got any warning that our flight was “changed” (if that's the case) from Expedia or the airline. While they are refunding us I will NEVER use them again for completely ruining this trip for me and i hope no one else who find this review does either.

Original review: June 7, 2022

They straight up LIE about the total price of their packages to purposefully mislead consumers into thinking they are affordable. I put in my search details, they quote a total trip package, that says specifically a FLIGHT+STAY+CAR. All three options included in that price. It lets you pick you various hotel and flight, with certain options costing more but at least a couple $0 extra, so included in the total trip price. But when it comes to pick out car details, it only allows you to add a car with at least $80 extra. There are no standard options, only a car that is an additional $80 dollars. I tried talking to a rep named Krislyn hoping this was an error. Big mistake.

The rep was beyond useless, googled the exact same thing I did, and brilliant response was "I don't know, stuff just costs extra." Then she claimed the options for it must have expired, so I ran the search again and got the same results, only cars that cost $80 extra (and this is for the tiniest economy car, literally anything less than this would be a bike). Then she claimed that the three option package, only includes two options, the third is extra. I repeatedly explained that at the start, the website is quoting a price on a package that includes all three options. I wanted to know why it is not including all three options, since that is deliberately falsifying the cost of the package advertised. Then she claimed that they don't have any cars to rent, so it must cost extra. They don't have rental cars. At a major airport. With like 5 rental car companies operating out of it. But they felt it was fine to advertise they have rental cars available, but only for an additional $80.

She repeatedly refused to get me to a manager or supervisor who might actually know why their company is misquoting consumers, or at least someone how had a better reasoning beyond stuff happens, give us more money. So this company is deliberately LYING about their total trip prices and what they have available to force you to pay upgrade fees. False advertising.

Original review: June 6, 2022

I wouldn't give them any stars if it's possible. I book 1 night hotel in Miami -GREEN SEAS HOTEL. Horrible people and hotel. I arrived to the hotel with my Expedia reservation and paid for it. The woman at the reservation desk asked me to fill out the documents. After I finished she said "you have to give me $50 cash." I said I paid already. I asked what for because we asked for $50 cash. I said I don't have cash so I offered my credit card and she said to me, "If you don't have the cash you can't stay," so I had to leave because I didn't have the cash. However, while I was there I sent an email to Expedia asking for a refund and Expedia said they can't give it to me because they couldn't get in touch with anyone in that ghost hotel -the phone purposely is not working.

Original review: June 5, 2022

Hi. We are a senior couple that often travel on cruises. Lately we cancelled all our cruises because we are sick and tired of the PCR PRE_TEST. We are both fully vaccinated and boosted, it doesn't make sense at all anymore! This is very tiring. Please review your policies and act accordingly. You are losing lots of clients.

Original review: June 2, 2022

I've used Expedia several times, and although I've had a few small problems here and there, I wouldn't say anything was awful, but all of that changed on my last reservation through them. It's pretty simple, I attempted to book a specific hotel, in a specific city, it showed it available, I made the reservation and thought I was done, only to find out Expedia ended up putting my in the same hotel chain, but an entirely different city I never entered or requested. When I noticed this error, I contacted their customer support to change the reservation, noting it was their error not mine, the city they put me I had never heard of, and didn't even know where it was. They flat refused to change the reservation or refund my money, saying there was nothing they could do, and wouldn't even acknowledge their error.

I've since found entire websites and discussion threads dedicated to all the users of Expedia that have had nightmare problems with them, mine is nothing compare to most. Ultimately, most people are forced to reverse their credit card charge to solve the problem. I am doing the same, and closing my account on Expedia. They are not trustworthy, have terrible customer support, and do not deserve your business.

Original review: June 1, 2022

I made reservations months ago before the holiday summer rate hike through Expedia for June 4, 2022 and July 3, 2022 to July 5, 2022. Both reservations were cancelled by Oyo Coast River Inn without informing Expedia or me. I called the Oyo Coast River Inn one week before the first reservation to confirm and was told my reservations were cancelled without any explanation. I contacted Expedia since I never cancelled the reservation and had already contacted Expedia several times before to confirm the reservation which Expedia said is confirmed. Neither the hotel nor Expedia did anything to fix the issue that although I made reservations that were confirmed by Expedia, my family and I were left without a place to stay. I can't imagine how it would feel to show up and not have a place to stay on a busy summer holiday weekend. Such a nightmare experience.

Expedia author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

Expedia Company Information