1.10/5

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4117 Expedia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I book 25 trips a year on Expedia. At the time of this booking I had 10 pending bookings. I booked a car and realized the dates were wrong, I called about 90 seconds later and they would not do anything.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have never in my life dealt with such misinformed and lousy customer service reps on the phone. I booked a bargain fare flight on Expedia, but before purchasing I called to confirm the time slot in which my flight would fall because the information on their website is extremely misleading. I was told that I was correct in my understanding of the information, and went ahead and booked the flight. The email I received an hour later contained information completely opposite of what I had called to confirm.

I called their customer service to handle the situation, and rather than rectify it, they passed me along from incompetent person to incompetent person, putting me on hold 15 times along the way. No one could provide me any information or offer any solution to my problem. What they did try to do is charge me DOUBLE what I originally paid in order to change flights that THEY SCREWED UP. And then they tried to "gift" me a $50 travel credit as a token of appreciation for my 'patience' or lack thereof. I could scream in frustration with how poorly this company handled such a simple issue and how poorly they seem to train their employees. As an Expedia account holder and regular user, I will never use this service again. I am disgusted.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

So If I go to a carrier like Virgin Atlantic, I can contact them within 24 hours to make changes or even cancel a booking. I contacted Expedia after 5hrs after making a mistake requiring cancellation, I heard nothing. A weekend passes, now all I hear from Expedia are 'the airline say its non-refundable'. Stance from Virgin Atlantic is that "contract is with Expedia, if you'd have come direct, within 24hours you could have cancelled". Great. Expedia is supposed to HELP, they DID NOT, their inability to respond in a timely manner cost me over 2000 GBP, and 45m of my life on hold. ALWAYS book direct, NEVER EVER will I use Expedia again.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I contacted them 2 weeks prior to cancel a hotel reservation. They said they would contact the hotel and try to get a refund. They told me I would be charged one night cancellation penalty. This was ridiculous for a dump Best Western which was all that was available. Ultimately they never refunded anything. I’ve spent a lot of money with these jerks in the past and they don’t care. What a scam. Don’t even consider calling these idiots.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I really regret and feel bad that I have been a customer with Expedia for more than 4 years! I booked a flight with Royal Jordanian Airlines flight from Riyadh to Amman to Barcelona, on December 13 through Expedia. However, I just got a call from Expedia on December 7th telling me that my flight was cancelled! I told the agent that I paid for a protection plan; does protect me in such of like this situation? The agent told me “Yes sir, we will cancel your flight with Royal Jordanian Airlines and we will book a similar flight for you" (with Turkish airline). I ask the agent a clear question, "Am I going to be the one who is responsible for the extra charges?" The agent said, "No, and we (speaking on behalf of Expedia) will get back to you within less than 24 hours."

However, I received no respond after 24 hours. Then, I called Expedia but the other agent told me something totally different. She said that we have to wait more; and if there is an extra charge for booking the other flight, I will be paying for it. I told her that the agent yesterday told me something different but this could not help. I was on the line for almost 3 hours trying to get any solution! At the end I had to book a new flight from Riyadh to Amman to catch my flight from Amman to Barcelona, and I paid for the whole amount! After being a loyal customers with Expedia for more than 4 years, I will never do any of my booking with a company that not honest, not helpful, and does not give any value to its customers!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

They charged me $700, but hotel provided me with $600 bill. When enquired about this to Expedia, they said it is their convenience. Also the Expedia agent misguided me that they are booking room with Kitchen but when go to Hotel, that hotel doesn't have rooms with Kitchen. My trip ended up with very disappointing experience because of Expedia even after spending hours in planning.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Please do your self a favor and book your trips anywhere else! After multiple calls and emails we had to spend 5+ hours on the phone to re-book a flight Expedia was aware we would be unable to make due to the previous flight landing within 45 min. A lot of Indian support people with thick accents and ZERO knowledge. If that's your thing, go ahead and give them a call, otherwise book direct and save yourself a BIG headache.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I am only giving them two stars because I finally did get a refund. I booked a hotel in Addis Ababa through Expedia several months prior to my arrival date. When I got to the hotel, they had no record of my having paid, even though I had my receipt from Expedia. So I had to pay again. Once home, I contacted Expedia by phone, was told they had to contact the hotel. A day or two later I got an email saying they were trying with no success.

A few days later I wrote asking why there was a problem, they certainly kept records about whom they had paid. Same kind of response. So I called again. Asked to speak to a supervisor. After being told. “Give me a few seconds” multiple times... 45 minutes later I was connected to a supervisor. She again tried to contact the hotel for some reason, but whoever answered didn’t speak English. So finally she asked me to send her copies of my receipt, and my refund was processed. This was a big waste of my time for something that could have been avoided.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We booked our once in a lifetime family trip to Galapagos through Expedia. On the way there, we had multiple transfers, IAH -> Bogota-> Quito -> Galapagos. Unfortunately on the day of departure, my husband realized the Bogota to Quito flight was cancelled (Expedia did not notify us) and had to call Expedia to ask them about this issue. Since Expedia was not aware or did not notify us, we lost a day of hotel and excursion costs (Expensive in Galapagos!). Then, on the return flight, Expedia did not reconfirm one leg of our return flight. I was on the phone with them at the airport for likely an hour and they were no help. We called to get a refund for the tickets we had to rebuy, and they are telling us to file a complaint with the airline company who did not confirm our tickets. We bought through Expedia so expected Expedia to confirm our tickets with the airline company. Worst company we've dealt with and will never book through Expedia again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have booked 2 tickets to Lisbon on the telephone in August for our New Year vacation. As instructed on the internet we are to contact the airline by pressing the button to add seats. I could not have any contact at all so I waited 1 day and try again. Then I wrote the Expedia booked date and name for our book tickets and choose my seats. TAP (Portugal Airline) took the payment and issued the seats but somehow when my credit card bill came TAP has taken payment for the 2 tickets and Expedia also took payment for my 2 tickets. I have now 4 tickets with the same name and the same flight/time to Lisbon. I have since then spend 2 months talking to TAP Air and Expedia but Expedia will not help. I have turn to the consumer council in Sweden and they advise me what to do. They also thinks it is Expedia mistake and no one else. But Expedia will not refund me and put all the blame on the customer.

I wish I spend some time and check the site before I book with Expedia but I had bought package deal from Expedia before and I know customer has to pay extra for their seats so I did not think there is anything unusual with that. But the internet probably did not function when I book the flight so it did not go through to TAP. I did not get any confirmation until later on my tickets. THINK AGAIN IF YOU WANT TO USE EXPEDIA. It will be a long process again Expedia from my side and you cannot say they have good service or any service at all.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I booked both flight and hotel and had them confirmed. When I went to the airport the booking was canceled and I luckily got on because there was space (had to purchase the ticket then and there). The hotel in Orlando said it had no record of my booking when I landed. DO NOT USE EXPEDIA.COM, they are frauds and have a bunch of noisy foreigners handling their calls, probably for low wages which almost always equals poor service.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We booked a very last minute hotel in St Croix, Club Comanche Hotel. We got there the next day only to be given a room with mold. All the pictures we saw on their site were beautiful. This is far from the truth. The place was a dump. smelled like mold even in the hallways. We went to the desk and told them we could not stay in a hotel with mold. She asked if we wanted another room, we told them that even the hallways smelled and we fear for our health. She said no problem, went over and refunded our resort fee.

To our surprise when we got home after already having to pay for a different hotel (with no mold), they charged our credit card for an entire week. We have tried several times to get our money back, only to be told by Expedia that the hotel is their vendor and the hotel won't refund our money so they can't do anything. I have never had an issue like this ever, I thought Expedia looked out for the customer that books on their site. This is far from the truth, they only look out for their vendor. Everyone should stay away from their site, if you have an issue, they will not help you!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Horrific. Booked an apartment in London to take my family, including a 1 year old baby and 3 year old toddler, down for the weekend. Got a confirmation email, paid. Assumed that was that, all sorted. Decent company thought I. Three days before our day of travel, I looked at my confirmation email to check the address and how to check in. It said to contact the apartment in advance to arrange check in, gave a mobile number. I called the number. No answer. Sent texts, used the 'message hotel' facility on the Expedia app. Nothing. The morning before we were due to go, I got a text from the apartment, basically some guy renting his place out on a sub-standard Airbnb, to say that there was actually no availability. There had been an error in 'calendar synchronisation'.

This was a Friday, I was at work and busy. The apartment owner then would not answer the phone or respond to texts or emails. I rang Expedia. Over and over again. We will try to make contact with the apartment I was repeatedly told. Why? They have told me very clearly that there is no accommodation. Eventually, at 3 pm, I was finally put through to Relocations who again tried to contact the apartment for ten minutes but finally found me alternative accommodation. Another apartment.

I got off the phone and checked my updated itinerary. Again, I had to contact a mobile number to arrange check in. Straight to voicemail. I called maybe 50 times from 3-9 pm, sent texts and emails. Nothing. Obviously, blindingly obviously, the apartment was not going to be available the following day. Call Expedia again. Two phone calls of at least one hour each, spoke to Relocations. "Please can they find another apartment as the one they has relocated me too is not communicating and therefore clearly not actually available." "We have already relocated you sir and cannot do any more for you. Just go to the apartment and it will be fine. If not call us and we will relocate you."

I had one night in London, with two very young children. But Expedia expect me to waste my time moving across the city to an apartment that is not available. Then call them again for another two hours whilst trying to supervise two children who have had to miss all the fun things we had planned to do, so that they can relocate me to yet another apartment that doesn't actually exist? I asked for a refund. No we cannot sir. No help at all. The absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere.

At 10:30 on the Friday night I called Complaints. I wanted somewhere definite stay with my family the following day, we had tickets and trains etc booked and paid for. Again they failed to help me and put up a wall of resistance, but finally agreed that if the apartment were not in touch by the morning that Expedia would refund me what I had paid and I could book my own accommodation elsewhere. Expedia would also refund the difference. I can tell you the name of who I spoke to by the way Expedia.

Morning comes, we're on the way to our ten o'clock train. My wife driving, I had to call Expedia again. Go through the entire thing again as my case clearly had not been properly documented. Explained that the apartment had not been in touch, I want the refund as agreed. "Oh no sir I am not sure I can do that." "I'll go to the papers, Watchdog, TripAdvisor. Anyone who will listen. I'll take legal action," I said. "OK sir we will refund you. When you book your alternative accommodation, send the receipt to this email address and we will email back a case number. You can then call us about the refund and payment of the difference." Phone down.

Then I had to frantically find somewhere suitable at the last minute on the train journey with 3G constantly in and out and two kids to look after. Thankfully I found somewhere on Booking.com and booked it. Imagine that - I just booked and paid and got what I'd paid for. Called to arrange check in and it was all sorted in half an hour. Compare and contrast Expedia.

I emailed the receipt/booking confirmation as requested and got an email back with a case reference number as they said. Still, I had several calls leaving voicemails to see if I had checked into the non-existent apartment. I actually wanted to spend some time with my family in London, so called Expedia on the Monday to get the refund. How naive I am. I had to go through the whole thing yet again, then gave the reference number. They didn't recognize the number. "But it's all being sorted sir, give it another twenty four hours and someone will be in touch." No they weren't. Phone again, same thing. Sent another email of the receipt, get another number back. Nobody recognizes this one either. By this point I feel that nobody cares and they are all just fobbing me off and making it impossible for me to get my money back, which they assured me would happen. This is theft Expedia.

Out of desperation I looked up and found the CEO's email address, Mark Okerstrom. I relay the sorry tale yet again to him. Surprisingly, I woke the next morning to an email from the 'priority escalations team' following my email to Mr. Okerstrom. They would be investigating my case. I still have not heard anything further from them, although in fairness it has only been 3 working days since I emailed the CEO. With regard to the two separate sets of receipts I emailed ten days ago, I have heard absolutely nothing. So had I not emailed the CEO I imagine I would still be sitting here in a year waiting for a refund. I may still be.

Regardless of how things proceed with this priority escalations department, the whole experience has been awful. I am now out of pocket and feel that Expedia simply do not care and strive to provide the worst possible customer experience that they can. What should have been a nice weekend of Christmas fun with the kids was made into a stressful nightmare which is still not resolved. A sound business model Mr. Okerstrom.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

One of our friends got seriously sick one week before traveling and he could not fly according to a doctor's assessment. Expedia refused to refund the amount for this one person. When booked there were 2 baggage included per person. When arriving at the Airport, they told us that this was not the case. For the return flight we then tried to pay online for extra baggage (Which is cheaper), but this was not possible... We contacted Expedia several times for all this problems, but they refused to help or do anything. Worst experience with a travel agency ever.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Made a hotel reservation near the new house we are buying. It was very expensive $750 for 5 days but the only thing available at Xmas time. Ended up being able to move into the house due to the graciousness of the sellers and canceled 30 days out. Rip off. Lost the entire amount. I would recommend Booking.com cause I never had this problem with them and we travel a lot.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

When we made the reservations for this hotel "Smart Live Oak Uptown Downtown in Dallas Texas" we were upset and clouded because my mother-in-law passed away, we were flying out from CA to Texas, we didn't realize until a couple days later that we were staying with relatives, the hotel amount was $748.44!!! We contacted Expedia to cancel our hotel reservations. We got an email later, stating they are not going to refund our money! We tried everything to get our money back!!! We are grieving over the death of our mother while trying to get our money back! That is so unfair!!! WARNING. DO NOT MAKE TRAVEL PLANS WITH EXPEDIA AND SMART LIVE OAK UPTOWN DOWNTOWN IN DALLAS TEXAS!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I rented a vehicle through Expedia for Cancun, Mexico. According to the car rental in Mexico (Europcar), Expedia knows that their insurance doesn't cover you in Mexico. So I was charged an additional $210, instead of the original amount Expedia had advertised which was the amount of 105.00. My total cost was 315 for renting a car for 4 days. I wouldn't even pay that here (Cal). Expedia advertised the vehicle for $7 a day for 4 days plus ins. Sounds great, right? Expect to pay 3x that amount.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We booked a hotel through Expedia that said it was 27 miles from our location we wanted to visit. When we arrived we found out it was five hours from where we wanted to visit. It was 27 miles if you are a mountain goat and can go over mountains where there is no road. Contacted Expedia, told them about their error on their website and they said they see nothing wrong with their website ad. Sent them pictures of the ad that shows 27 miles away and still the answer came back there was nothing wrong with the information on their website. We had to forfeit two nights in order to stay at our desired destination. They would do nothing to help us. To me this is false advertising.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I booked a hotel through Expedia for future dates of travel the 25-26 a month away and they booked it for the 25-26 of the current month. We called them because we had received a "review your stay" email when we were not scheduled to stay for another month. After many phone calls and emails of them supposedly going back and forth with the hotel for the refund they told us the hotel was not going to refund us and there was nothing they could do. I told them multiple times that this was THEIR error not the hotel's, we booked through Expedia. We will be contesting the charges through our bank and will never go through them again!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I reserved a car for 7 days in December. My granddaughter passed away and we had to go a week earlier than our planned trip. The original reservation was to pick up in New Orleans. Just changing the pick up location to Baton Rouge they wanted to more than double the total price! Ridiculous! I logged in to Travelocity, got a new reservation, added an extra day, paying less than I was going to for the original reservation.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

If you prefer to not have your already very expensive flight itinerary to South America (Bos, MA -> BH, Brazil) that have been reserved and paid for adjusted less than a month in advance of your trip with 3 impressively lacking and less-than-ideal options provided for you to choose from, which for me included: 1. extending your layover by 4 hours on the 3rd leg of your trip so that your total traveling time exceeds 24 hours, 2. sleeping at the airport overnight and catching a flight the next morning and guaranteeing you will have spent 36+ hours flying and/or waiting for flights.

Or 3. Canceling and then having the only flying options available being $300 more per ticket for comparable flight options, then I recommend you not using Expedia/United Airlines for your flight reservations. You will likely experience something similar to what I have with exactly no leeway in the matter. Good luck if you have any set plans because you will likely get screwed and left without any satisfactory options.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Detailed info below, but to summarize: We cancelled hotel 19 DAYS in advance. Expedia didn't inform the hotel. The hotel charged us. Expedia won’t do anything to make it right. We booked a hotel room through Expedia. Unable to make the trip, we logged into Expedia and cancelled the hotel 19 DAYS IN ADVANCE (much more than the required 24 hours). Expedia failed to relay our cancellation to the hotel and we were charged for the room. After several phone calls and detailed emails - where we included a copy of our CANCELLATION CONFIRMATION FROM EXPEDIA - Expedia says there's nothing they can do. The hotel is in their right to keep our deposit because they were not notified of the cancellation. Expedia refuses to even give us a credit to use towards another reservation in the future. Hugely disappointed. You may want to seriously consider another travel site for your bookings.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I bought a ticket through Expedia.com as they advertise the 24 hours cancellation policy, that it is also part of the aviation regulations in the USA. Before the 24 hour I tried to cancel the flight but the website didn't allow me. I called them to cancel but they said that they can't cancel because they have a different arrangement with Air Asia. And they derived me to them (as if it was not their problem anymore). And of course Air Asia also said that once it is booked no refunds are possible. I bought the ticket through Expedia so I believe that they should honor their free 24 hour cancellation policy. And if they can't have it with some airlines, they should not work with them or at least specify them very clearly while people are making the booking so they don't end up losing their money for nothing. Expedia I believe it is not ethically performing businesses.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Booked a flight on Expedia and bought the travel protection plan. Had a change in plans so I called Expedia to cancel the flight and they told me I couldn't. They said the protection plan didn't apply to this flight. Are you kidding me. As far as I'm concerned that is fraud. Cost me $153.00 but I will get the last laugh. Canceled my credit card and will never buy anything from them again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My flight was canceled and they did not cancel my reservation at the hotel and so far they have not pronounced on returning my money. It's not my fault the flight was canceled, they have to return my money because it was a high amount, I send a message and the ex-post does not respond.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I had to pay for another ticket with the correct name. I lost $376.40. I will never use Expedia again. All this money wasted and I was on the phone for hours and Expedia could not finish the new purchase and I had to go online and repurchase. So ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I will never book on Expedia again. After using it for years, I realize it doesn't make any sense not to deal directly with the airlines. You spend loads of time on hold for anything you need while they go to the airlines. You might as well do it directly. Very frustrating and a complete waste of time.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Book with a price of 16 per night for a hotel room but when they did a fare calculation, they put it as 21 per night. Super secretive with their pricing mechanism and a lot of click bait. Watch out before paying the final price as they have tons of hidden fees.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Please save yourself time and money, DO NOT use this website for your travel needs. I booked a flight for my senior citizen mother, bought insurance on the flight because she does have some health issues. Unfortunately she became ill and I had to cancel the flight, I was told that the insurance didn't cover the flight. First why would Expedia sell insurance on flights that are not covered. This is fraud! Why would I pay money for a service that I could not use. They need to be held accountable and put out of business. They should be sued for scamming people out of money.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I'm done with this company and so should you. The worst customer service I have received from any company and my complaint was escalated to their corporate office. They say you can cancel tickets with 24 hours on their website but you can't. They mislead me as the airline name listed on their website for the expensive tickets I bought were actually with another low cost carrier (I paid twice as much to buy the same budget tickets covered by another airline name). I spend 5 hours on the phone over two days talking to different people, supervisors and their corporate managers and they would not cancel the flights.

Expedia expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs