3.1/5 (1372 ratings)

About Expedia

Expedia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I was trying to book a flight on Expedia. The transaction failed and did not go through. Spirit Airlines still charged my credit card for the full amount. Later by calling Spirit Air, I found out that Expedia cancelled my trip without me knowing it. Spirit Airlines charged me cancellation fees and other fees, leaving me 60% of the amount as credit to be used in the next 90 days. I called Expedia and the representative said it was just a hold which is not true. It was an actual charge.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

We booked a cruise for the beginning of this year, we booked and upgraded and were told the total amount was 2020 CAD. On day 1 when we onboarded the cruise, we have been told there was an outbalancing of 534 CAD because the total was supposed to be 2554 CAD. Can you imagine how annoying is during the mid of the trip? We chose not to deal with it and paid it off first (Otherwise they wouldn't let us leave the cruise) and handled it after our trip. The nightmare began there, endless calls to Expedia and no one knows what is going on. Basically, Cruise said Expedia told them there is an outbalancing, and Expedia didn't know what is going on. We didn't get the refund by the end, and too much time and energy were wasted on this, but this is really unacceptable and we will never use Expedia again!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

I booked a trip to Punta Cunta, paid in full with airfare. I touched base with them to make sure that everything was good. There is no live person to talk to, you got to chat text with someone. She told me that there was a mistake with my reservation, she stated, “I have to cancel your reservation, you can go back to the website and rebook it again." Not only did she cancel my reservation but she canceled my flight. When I went back to the website to text chat and tell them that the airline is charging me 508.00 for cancellation fee, she denied that she cancelled my flight but seconds after I received the confirmation that my hotel reservation was cancelled, an e-mail was send to me saying my flight was cancelled and they took 508.00 for a cancellation fee.

When I went on the text chat, of course it’s not the same person, he told me that was impossible. That they had nothing to do with my flight being cancelled. Something that I was looking forward to turned into a nightmare. Then a couple days later I found out that this happened to several people that I know. I rather go to a travel agency and talk to a live person. Don’t trust Expedia, they will ruin your dream of a nice vacation…

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

I booked flights that were cancelled during Covid. They sent out an extension and then said they didn't. I'm out almost $1000 due to their incompetence. I used to trust this company. Not anymore. Don't use Expedia if you need a trustworthy reliable company.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

Expedia travel company is the worst! I booked a simple hotel room in Mexico for a vacation and put in the correct date and when I paid and checked out it was one month off. I spent three hours on the phone after four phone numbers that did not even work, there website was down for two hours and there was no way to get in touch. Finally got through to their chat line and even though they say no cancelation fees if you cancel within 24 hours they told me I would have to pay the full amount if I canceled! $2,000.00 Finally 1:00 am finally someone answered the phone and needs to talk to 49 people to see if I can cancel because of their mistake. Do not use Expedia, they are the worst!!! By the time we're done the hotel will probably be sold out.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

Purchased tickets through Expedia for round-trip from Belize City to Placencia Belize. Our connecting flight in Belize City on our return home changed the departure time giving us less than an hour to make our connecting flight. Called Expedia to see about getting on an earlier flight so we would be able to make our connecting flight and after 2 1/2 hours on the phone their solution was to charge us almost $300 apiece to make that minor change. This is more than the tickets cost. Further, I thought the tickets I purchased were for Tropic Airline but was told the "underlying carrier" was actually HahnAir (NOWHERE on my confirmation, etc. was HahnAir mentioned) but because of this, even though there were earlier flights on Tropic Air I was not able to be booked on one of those. Complete and total lack of customer service...I will NEVER use Expedia again! Lesson learned to book directly through the airline.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

We booked a multileg trip to Colorado and California. Unfortunately we were caught in the bad weather in California and decided to fly home early. We called Expedia to help us perform a simple function of changing flights. This process took being on the phone for over 90 min. This is one of several awful experiences we have had recently with Expedia recently. Plus is very difficult to get any credit or refunds from Expedia on missed car rentals or cancelled flights.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

On 7th Jan I used the Expedia website to book my flights, it came up with an error after submitting my bank details. It asked to try again. I immediately did. My phone goes ping.... 2 lots of flights billed as pending charges on my debit card account. The website still stated it had not gone through. No confirmation or email. I contact my bank whom stated that Expedia had placed a pending charge hold on money x2 and ONLY Expedia could release it. Eventually, I find a number for Expedia but it was very difficult as I do not have 'an itinerary number' for the automated system. Eventually a human...THEY STATE, "DON'T WORRY WILL COME OFF IN 2 DAYS..." LIKE HELL.

I still have to book the flight so I went direct and paid for a third time. I again contact my bank as Expedia also stated they had no record of the transaction (Expedia can't be bothered to look). The bank reiterates there is nothing they can do for a minimum of 31 days as Mastercard guarantee the merchant their money and do not protect the buyer! I wrote a disgruntled email to Expedia as it is causing financial stress... no surprise, no response. I called again 2 days ago asking for a specific email to send to bank so the bank would release money... I'll let you guess...they haven't bothered!

NEVER USE THIS COMPANY! YOU ARE NOT PROTECTED AND THEY DON'T CARE. I do wish I had seen these reviews before booking. Never, ever again. I'm in the mire financially whilst they sit on my money. THANKS, EXPEDIA. Update... they request pm message. Don't bother, it's a waste of time. All they need to do is a simple email stating they are happy to release the pending charge to my bank. They refuse to do so. They were even given that request from my bank. Scammers.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I've been using them for years, but now I AM DONE. They have turned into a SCAM website. BUYER BEWARE. If you book a flight through them, they bill it directly to the airline & you are suddenly bound by policies that you aren't even aware of. Expedia DOES NOT work as an actual travel agent should and inform you of requirements for flights in order to actually take the flight - NEITHER does the airline. THEN you go to the airport to take your flight for your vacation that is all booked and paid for and get DENIED BOARDING your flight.

In a panic you call Expedia, they don't help you. They tell you to call the airline. You call the airline and they basically tell you that you are a sucker and will keep your money and then even when you fight the charge with your credit card company THEY GET AWAY WITH IT. I am out at least $1,000 from this so far and counting! I used Expedia and my BofA credit card exactly for protection and wasn't granted protection from either company.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

On 1/19/2023, I bought a flight from JFK terminal to Puerto Rico, leaving on 1/21/2023 and returning 1/28/2023, I received the itinerary for the day I go but never received one for the returned date. When I looked at the returned date they had it for 12/3/2023. It was an error on their part, and they charged me an extra $186.00 to change the flight that I need book. I think it's a play with your money and people shouldn't use Expedia.

Expedia author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

Expedia Company Information