3.17/5
Based on 3,252 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Expedia

Looking for a travel site?

Expedia Reviews

Original review: July 27, 2019

I had an issue with an on line booking and called the general customer service number requesting an automatic call back. Within a matter of a minute I had received a call back. Mohammed (located in Cairo Egypt) addressed my issue immediately, called the hotel I had booked, and resolved my issue in a professional and timely manner. He was wonderful and I only wish that all customer service agents would be as great at their job as he is. Thank you again Mohammed, and thank you Expedia.

Kindest regards,

Debbie

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been using Expedia for booking flights and hotels a few times already. It has been very reliable. This time I booked a flight from London to Hong Kong. I only found out that I booked the wrong month after I have paid for the ticket. I panicked and rang customer service. The staff was very helpful and he tried to keep me calm. Since I only made the booking in half an hour, he was able to give me a full refund. I am very grateful that a full refund is available since it was my mistake. This definitely makes me feel very confident with this company and will continue to use this website.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had to write a review to highlight the amazing customer service I had with Expedia yesterday. I am heading to San Diego, but due to illness and a doctor's appointment, I had to delay my trip by one day. I called to switch my hotel reservation and spoke with Eric. He said that normally, the hotel won't make any changes and will still charge me for the extra night, but said he'd speak with them to try and make the change anyway. After waiting on hold for a bit, Eric came back on to say that he'd convinced the hotel to make the change and give me a refund for the night I wouldn't be there! I was so grateful! It's so refreshing to have people like Eric working in customer service. He truly understand what it is to provide amazing customer service!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I recently booked a hotel on the Oregon Coast for a weekend. The evening before my trip (and day before the stay) I received a notice from Expedia that the Hotel had cancelled my reservation/booking due to "construction". Weird? Was this construction decided at the last minute? It didn't matter - I had a problem. I called the number for Expedia customer support given in the notice. They were on top of it... Super helpful... and somehow found a room for me and Barnaby (my Golden-doodle) at a nearby hotel. That hotel charged more, but Expedia made up the difference. Wow! It seems like every time I try anyone other than Expedia or Orbitz, I come to regret it. Expedia has risen to the top of my Favorites list. I hope they stay there.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Will try and keep it short and simple. Purchased a flight to Cabo and paid the added cost for price match promise. Received about 3 emails congratulating me on better price matches that added up to $166.28. Read the terms and conditions that clearly stated to wait after our flight and then call and ask for our price match refund. When we called customer service... which of course is an overseas Indian service! They tried to tell me that I wasn't eligible for my refund because I called after my flight! Whaaaa! Immediately asked for U.S. customer service which I was denied. I was passed along to a manager/supervisor and was offered a $166.28 credit on my next purchase, which I turned down!!!

At this point, I was upset and demanded a US representative. After 1.5 hours on the phone... I finally got through! Within 5 minutes my refund was applied and was offered an apology. I had to ask... "What went wrong? Is your program a scam? Should I not purchase this plan going forward?" Simple answer: "Our overseas Customer service was confused and didn't understand." Hmm... Not sure I believe it 100%, but in my opinion they are trained to give future credits not refunds! Btw, not only did I get our rightful refund, but I also got a $200 credit towards my next purchase. I will give them 4 stars out of 5, but they really need to fix this problem asap!!! If, it wouldn't have taken me 1.5 hours of my time... They would have gotten 5 stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I attempted to book a trip on the Expedia website when an error popped up and asked me to start over. I did so and then was told my credit card was declined. I checked the balance and found that Expedia sent 4 authorizations to my credit card. I called customer service, got no where with the agent, after 30 mins asked to speak with a Supervisor. Was told they can do nothing to help me out. Was disconnected after an hour and did not receive a call back. Still nothing resolved. NEVER USING EXPEDIA AGAIN!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I rented an Avis car for a weekend trip with a friend from Expedia. We were delighted to get the car for roughly $155. When we arrived to get the car, the Avis rep told us it would be ~$320 because we were picking up in one city and dropping the car in another, or we'd have to pay 25 cents per mile. I had a contract from Expedia and Avis showing that I would get unlimited miles and would be dropping off the car in the 2nd city, for $155. I spent TWO HOURS on the phone with Expedia to no avail. They finally told me to pay the higher amount ($320) and to send a picture of my receipt to them via email and they would refund me WHILE I WAS ON THE PHONE.

We had flown to the city we picked up the car, so we had little choice. I should have known better. I did as instructed: responded to the email with a picture of the receipt and was told to call them back. But there was no phone number provided! I called the number I originally called and just spent another hour. They are going to call Avis to see if Avis will reimburse me. SERIOUSLY! I don't care who pays me back. I have a contract and it should be between them, not pulling me -- the customer -- into it. I will never deal with this company again!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I bought an insurance car for a car that I rent in Dominican Republic. When I got to economy rental car, they told me that I had to have the one that they offer. The one that I bought in Expedia was useless. So please be careful and do not be fool buying an insurance that is not going to work to get the car. I ended paying 2 insurances because Expedia did not refund my money.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

While making reservation, I selected Breakfast included as criteria. The website of Expedia displayed list of hotels. Out of those filtered hotels I selected a hotel and booked. Even while booking there was no message populated/alerted me about breakfast. When I checked in and enquired about breakfast, hotel staff said it's not included.

When I called Expedia about the same, I was on call for more than one hour and they said I need to send receipts for getting refund for the breakfast. It's not about money but it's all about hassle especially when we have kids. I got upset with the hidden things they have to deceive customer to get business. Worst experience with expedia and will never use this again.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

This agency is unbelievably incompetent and unprofessional. They have tied up over $1000 of my available credit on my credit card ($700 was a pending charge that they have not settled from 10 days ago and $300 for a charge today that I did not authorize). The only reason I can see this information is because of my credit card’s app, which allows real time activity and access to funds. I spoke to 2 customer service reps (that I had a tough time communicating with because they were not American), 2 managers, and 2 corporate representatives. However the issue was not resolved. Neither were they sensitive to the fact that these issues prohibited me from using my card to purchase plane tickets to see my grandmother in ICU. I say stay away from this service and potentially any third party like them.

Expedia expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs