2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Expedia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: April 4, 2020

So, with CoViD-19 going on, everything has been shaky. We live in the States, and we booked a ticket for my parents to go abroad a few months ago (before the virus spread outside China). In any case, they left abroad and, now, we are where we are currently. They practice social distancing abroad, and we practice social distancing here in the States. In any case, they had 2 return tickets (previously booked) for the 6th of April. However, their flights were cancelled (purchased 2 different tickets to return via a stop in London, for my parents to see their friends - mind you, this was before the virus). In any case, with the flights cancelled, some airlines can be very noncooperative.

Anyway, today, I called Expedia and spoke to an agent named Zee. The case of these cancelled flights was difficult because they said "British Airways operated by Qatar Airlines," plus, my parents already flew to their destination (so the ticket was half used essentially). So, two airlines were involved. This was a big juggling session between the two airlines. In any case, Zee tried very hard and spent a few hours trying to get a refund for the cancelled ticket. Ultimately, she had to refer me to her supervisor, whose name is John. He was able to get my the refund to both flights, before which he calculated the refund and let me know in advance. I am very pleased with their customer service, and people like them will elevate the customer service of Expedia.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Expedia went above and beyond in taking care of a totally bad - failed situation for me. I booked a stay at a hotel that had a contract within another - RedDoorz Premium near Gaston Park Cagayan De Oro City. I was on vacation from the USA and I get there and the hotel no longer exists. Only the new hotel and the old sign above the building. After a couple calls expedia had me in another hotel close by with all above and beyond expenses paid. They even switched me one more time to an even better hotel after I found that one not up to my standards. They really took care of what could've been a very bad situation. Thank you so much...!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2020

I am not very computer savvy but it was very easy to establish my airline reservation. To be sure that everything was accomplished correctly I phoned Expedia and the customer service rep reviewed my reservation input line by line and confirmed my reservation. Asked the customer rep several questions concerning what I should do once I received my E ticket and he was very helpful. While we were still on the phone he said to check my email to see if I had any further questions. My customer service experience was one of a very few that I have dealt with in the past that I felt went above and beyond. I'm certain I will have no problems when I go to the airport because I will already be checked in 24 hours prior to flight time.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I had to cancel a flight that was booked through Hong Kong because of the coronavirus. I called Expedia and was able to get an agent quickly. The agent's name was Patch. She assisted me in cancelling my flight and getting me a replacement flight. Her attitude was so pleasant and she went above and beyond to assist me. Her service was so refreshing. It made what could have been a horrible experience into the best service I can remember. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

After failing to reach Expedia by phone yesterday ("no one available" recording then disconnection)--then reading many terrible reviews of Expedia service related to coronavirus cancellations--my friend and I expected the worst when we called today. We had a Thailand trip booked through Expedia, transferring planes in Beijing. But today, the wondrous Michelle answered the phone, cancelled trip #1 and rebooked, taking time to ensure we had the best possible itinerary. We had spent enough time online searching yesterday to know we're really fortunate to have our new trip--a bit more expensive than the last, but we leave in three days so no surprise there, and no longer than the original one. The frustration of other Expedia reviewers sounds just awful: so here's my advice: ask for Michelle!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

We booked, through Expedia.ca, a flight with SAS Airlines from Denmark to Finland for May, 2020. When SAS cancelled the flight in March, we requested a refund AND per European rules they MUST refund. But they would not deal with us directly as we booked with Expedia.ca so we contacted them several times and each time they say they are going to help but will have to check with the airline. The airline is obligated and willing to refund but Expedia is not fulfilling its obligation to request the refund as they do not want to lose their commission. In 9 months they have not actioned our request. We got ALL of our other travel costs refunds as we could deal directly with the providers. Except, of course, Air Canada as they are allowed to keep cancelled flight fares. SAS is not so Expedia should have refunded our costs last May! We will never deal with them again!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I made a reservation through one of Expedia affiliates Alliance Booking. 6 days before our trip was planned the hotel destination we were supposed to stay in closed due to employees being furlough due to COVID. When I called the booking company they referred me to Expedia since the hotel and rates was being provided by them. After multiple calls to both parties (which continued to blamed each other and stating I have to wait to change my hotel since either of them have access to change the reservation) I contacted Expedia for the last time (after spending nearly 5 hours on the phone calling and speaking to both parties).

At this point the representative from Expedia offered me the phone number to contact alliance again and I told her I didn’t want to call them again since I’ve been through this many many times. The representative kept bashing me through the phone and interrupting me without giving me a chance to explain the why or how. After a few attempts I ask to speak to the corporate office and she placed me on hold. After about 8 mins or so the representative came back wanting for me to speak to Alliance again after asking to speak to someone else.

At this point as you probably can tell I was very agitated and I again asked to speak to corporate to seek a solution for my problem. The representative kept me on hold for 45 mins just to bring her supervisor on the line to give me the phone number to alliance once again. The supervisor was not concerned nor cared for me to tell her the problem. After trying to send me away to Alliance once again the supervisor transferred me even though I Asked her multiple times that I didn’t want to be transferred to Alliance and all I wanted was to speak to her corporate office in regards to this. The supervisor also was extremely rude and was not at all receptive to my concern. The only thing accomplished during this call was for me to file this complaint. I am not asking for anything free nor extra services. This is by far the worst customer service experience I’ve ever had. Shame on them.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

Expedia customer service is really disappointing. I booked a round trip flight for my parents visiting USA from India and back. They took the flight from India to USA. However, for the return journey, it was a three leg flight (RDU-JFK-DEL-CCU). The first leg which was supposed to be operated by Delta was canceled by the airline itself. As Expedia couldn’t provide us any suitable connection to JFK, we had to cancel the entire return flight. They are refunding us only the base fare and deducting more than half the fare(taxes+cancellation fees).

While trying to make a fresh booking from IAD, they are also charging the difference amount in fare+ rebooking charges per person. So basically, we are losing a huge amount of money now. Neither they are successful in providing a suitable connection to JFK, nor they are agreeing to refund our money. I would never again do business with Expedia. Going with Kayak or booking directly from the airline website would be a much better idea.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I had decided to book a hotel through Expedia for Days Inn Wyndham Hotel in Jacksonville Florida. The front desk Manager and receptionist were very rude. I would not recommend Expedia. I’ve even try contacting them through an email they sent me but out of nowhere it’s out of service. I don’t understand how they’re even still in business.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I assumed Expedia to be a national trustworthy travel website. I rented a car w/ U-Save. I declined the insurance on Expedia, but was obligated to pay at the time of rental and charged an extra $300 for leaving FL. Both requirement and restrictions are not evident on Expedia. Shame on them! They’ve lost my business.

Expedia author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team