2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

Expedia Reviews

Original review: April 4, 2020

So, with CoViD-19 going on, everything has been shaky. We live in the States, and we booked a ticket for my parents to go abroad a few months ago (before the virus spread outside China). In any case, they left abroad and, now, we are where we are currently. They practice social distancing abroad, and we practice social distancing here in the States. In any case, they had 2 return tickets (previously booked) for the 6th of April. However, their flights were cancelled (purchased 2 different tickets to return via a stop in London, for my parents to see their friends - mind you, this was before the virus). In any case, with the flights cancelled, some airlines can be very noncooperative.

Anyway, today, I called Expedia and spoke to an agent named Zee. The case of these cancelled flights was difficult because they said "British Airways operated by Qatar Airlines," plus, my parents already flew to their destination (so the ticket was half used essentially). So, two airlines were involved. This was a big juggling session between the two airlines. In any case, Zee tried very hard and spent a few hours trying to get a refund for the cancelled ticket. Ultimately, she had to refer me to her supervisor, whose name is John. He was able to get my the refund to both flights, before which he calculated the refund and let me know in advance. I am very pleased with their customer service, and people like them will elevate the customer service of Expedia.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Expedia went above and beyond in taking care of a totally bad - failed situation for me. I booked a stay at a hotel that had a contract within another - RedDoorz Premium near Gaston Park Cagayan De Oro City. I was on vacation from the USA and I get there and the hotel no longer exists. Only the new hotel and the old sign above the building. After a couple calls expedia had me in another hotel close by with all above and beyond expenses paid. They even switched me one more time to an even better hotel after I found that one not up to my standards. They really took care of what could've been a very bad situation. Thank you so much...!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2020

I am not very computer savvy but it was very easy to establish my airline reservation. To be sure that everything was accomplished correctly I phoned Expedia and the customer service rep reviewed my reservation input line by line and confirmed my reservation. Asked the customer rep several questions concerning what I should do once I received my E ticket and he was very helpful. While we were still on the phone he said to check my email to see if I had any further questions. My customer service experience was one of a very few that I have dealt with in the past that I felt went above and beyond. I'm certain I will have no problems when I go to the airport because I will already be checked in 24 hours prior to flight time.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

After failing to reach Expedia by phone yesterday ("no one available" recording then disconnection)--then reading many terrible reviews of Expedia service related to coronavirus cancellations--my friend and I expected the worst when we called today. We had a Thailand trip booked through Expedia, transferring planes in Beijing. But today, the wondrous Michelle answered the phone, cancelled trip #1 and rebooked, taking time to ensure we had the best possible itinerary. We had spent enough time online searching yesterday to know we're really fortunate to have our new trip--a bit more expensive than the last, but we leave in three days so no surprise there, and no longer than the original one. The frustration of other Expedia reviewers sounds just awful: so here's my advice: ask for Michelle!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

After I couldn't get on my plane to the United Stated due to my ESTA delay, I tried calling the plane companies I was supposed to travel with, and they couldn't fix my problem. I called Expedia and receiving an amazing service from Ann. She was able to change my ticket to a completely new itinerary, all of this without fees. I'm still amazed that this could have happened, as when I called the flight companies directly they told me there would be up to 2000$ fees. Ann was able to change my flight ticket for no fees at all. Thank you Expedia for this customer experience, and thank you Ann for your amazing service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: May 28, 2020

You would think that they have their customers in mind during this worldwide pandemic. Nope! I had a coupon from my canceled April trip (due to covid). I used it to book a room but then later had to change the dates. I press the cancel button and choose the option 'I have to change the date' because I had to work around with the dates and type of rooms because I had to match the credit amount.

After playing around with the options, I try to re-book, but I couldn't because my coupon was gone. I call and wait half an hour to finally speak to someone. They tell me once you hit the cancel button, you forfeit your coupon. I ask nicely to give me back the coupon. "There's no way we can reinstate it in our system". I ask nicely to then give me Expedia credit. "The system doesn't allow me to give you credit" I beg them, tell them I can't afford to lose $545. They don't care. Make sure never to cancel a coupon because you can only use it once people!

Original review: May 27, 2020

I have just been through my last experience with Expedia. They have lied to me and given me endless run-arounds. I have proof from the Mexico City hotel in question (a screenshot of my reservation) showing that Expedia has my money (not the hotel); THE HOTEL NEVER CHARGED EXPEDIA. Expedia will not refund my money. They have lied to me, saying the hotel was paid in advance--they were not. That is not the policy; a hotel can charge Expedia's virtual credit card only upon check-in. Because of the pandemic, I canceled well in advance of the reservation and the hotel policy is no cancelation fee during the pandemic; there were no flights to Mexico anyway.

I have spent endless hours and emails to Expedia, but they refuse to refund my money ($784.64). They issued a voucher to me for that specific hotel without asking if I wanted a voucher or a refund. They now say I accepted the voucher. I never asked for or accepted a voucher, they just sent it to me without my approval or foreknowledge. I immediately sent a reply email to them saying I never asked for a voucher, but that I wanted a full refund. A week later I sent another email. NO RESPONSE, and it was impossible to reach them by phone. They rigged the phone system so you could not get through to an agent. The reason I was traveling to Mexico was for a purpose that no longer exists. Therefore, the voucher is of no use to me, and I do not wish to go in the future. Expedia is saying I have to go to that hotel, or I will lose my money. THEY ARE LIARS and DECEIVERS. I will never use Expedia again. BE WARNED!!!

Original review: May 27, 2020

I had reservations for a Hotel stay in Alaska for a cruise. Due to the Covid-19 issues, the cruise lines cancelled our cruise. As soon as I found out (45 days before we were to leave), I notified all of the hotels, airlines, etc. that the trip had been cancelled and we wanted a refund, since we had no say in the matter and could not go. We had no issues with anyone, EXCEPT EXPEDIA. They refused to give us any refunds ($322) for our hotel, saying we did not meet their guidelines.

This is the WORST BUSINESS I have ever known!! First off, I thought I was making reservations with the hotel directly, as it did not show that Expedia was anywhere on there, and now they are keeping my money and nagging me for a review on our hotel visit. I would NEVER USE EXPEDIA!!! They are HORRIBLE and just take your money!!

Original review: May 27, 2020

I have been trying to change my flights that were cancelled due to COVID-19 for over 3 months now. Expedia has repeatedly (after 3 phone calls each lasting 6+ hours including hold time) gotten my name wrong, sent emails to the wrong email address (even after correcting them), refused to send me a confirmation of the change or receipt, failed to give me a new itinerary number so I could not call back, and blocked me at every turn.

One person took 3 hours to look up airline policies (which all other reps have done in 30 minutes or less). Another put me on hold for 2 hours while he "did something else." If they're trying to make it so hard to change/cancel a flight because they wanted me to give up, it would have worked 2 months ago. Unfortunately, I need to receipts for my school because I paid for the flights on a grant. I will never book with them again and cannot WAIT until I never have to speak to them again.

Original review: May 26, 2020

This company robbed people under the federal government watch, they book flights with airline knowing there is no flight or hotel for low prices than don't inform you that the flight cancel and will not refund you them or the airlines, that straight large scale American greed. Scam worldwide scam, rip-off, show you once more there is no justice in the justice system in the United States, you get rip-off all the times, good luck trying to talk to Expedia. They will hang up the phone on your face, real bad people.

Expedia author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team