3.33/5
Based on 3,279 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Expedia

Looking for a travel site?

4562 Expedia Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been using Expedia for booking flights and hotels a few times already. It has been very reliable. This time I booked a flight from London to Hong Kong. I only found out that I booked the wrong month after I have paid for the ticket. I panicked and rang customer service. The staff was very helpful and he tried to keep me calm. Since I only made the booking in half an hour, he was able to give me a full refund. I am very grateful that a full refund is available since it was my mistake. This definitely makes me feel very confident with this company and will continue to use this website.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had to write a review to highlight the amazing customer service I had with Expedia yesterday. I am heading to San Diego, but due to illness and a doctor's appointment, I had to delay my trip by one day. I called to switch my hotel reservation and spoke with Eric. He said that normally, the hotel won't make any changes and will still charge me for the extra night, but said he'd speak with them to try and make the change anyway. After waiting on hold for a bit, Eric came back on to say that he'd convinced the hotel to make the change and give me a refund for the night I wouldn't be there! I was so grateful! It's so refreshing to have people like Eric working in customer service. He truly understand what it is to provide amazing customer service!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I recently booked a hotel on the Oregon Coast for a weekend. The evening before my trip (and day before the stay) I received a notice from Expedia that the Hotel had cancelled my reservation/booking due to "construction". Weird? Was this construction decided at the last minute? It didn't matter - I had a problem. I called the number for Expedia customer support given in the notice. They were on top of it... Super helpful... and somehow found a room for me and Barnaby (my Golden-doodle) at a nearby hotel. That hotel charged more, but Expedia made up the difference. Wow! It seems like every time I try anyone other than Expedia or Orbitz, I come to regret it. Expedia has risen to the top of my Favorites list. I hope they stay there.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Will try and keep it short and simple. Purchased a flight to Cabo and paid the added cost for price match promise. Received about 3 emails congratulating me on better price matches that added up to $166.28. Read the terms and conditions that clearly stated to wait after our flight and then call and ask for our price match refund. When we called customer service... which of course is an overseas Indian service! They tried to tell me that I wasn't eligible for my refund because I called after my flight! Whaaaa! Immediately asked for U.S. customer service which I was denied. I was passed along to a manager/supervisor and was offered a $166.28 credit on my next purchase, which I turned down!!!

At this point, I was upset and demanded a US representative. After 1.5 hours on the phone... I finally got through! Within 5 minutes my refund was applied and was offered an apology. I had to ask... "What went wrong? Is your program a scam? Should I not purchase this plan going forward?" Simple answer: "Our overseas Customer service was confused and didn't understand." Hmm... Not sure I believe it 100%, but in my opinion they are trained to give future credits not refunds! Btw, not only did I get our rightful refund, but I also got a $200 credit towards my next purchase. I will give them 4 stars out of 5, but they really need to fix this problem asap!!! If, it wouldn't have taken me 1.5 hours of my time... They would have gotten 5 stars.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

My son had to have surgery hours away from home so we needed a hotel for 1 night. I chose Travelodge based on reviews and price... BIG MISTAKE! The man at the front was incredibly rude and unhelpful... But then we got to our parking area for our "room". There were people a few feet away from myself and my 2 children who are under the age of 4, just watching us and talking in a foreign language while watching us -- I tried to quickly unload my children and luggage in the pouring rain to get to safety... I immediately had a headache from the smoke smell and the walls, doors, couch, remote, bed, bathroom and floors looked DISGUSTING! I went in full panic attack mode.

Now, I called Expedia customer service to try and help us out of the current horror and boy did they deliver! Al, the customer service lady got my reservation canceled, and booked me a new very nice hotel that was closer to the hospital within 15 mins and she stayed on the phone with me the whole time. I had a VERY stressful day but with her help at least my 2 children and I are comfy and safe before a stressful situation tomorrow. I will use Expedia again and again!!! THANK YOU.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: July 22, 2019

Booked flights few times with Expedia. As long as things went smoothly with the air carriers, things were ok. Once issues arise, no real support from Expedia: seat selection appear during purchase as available, small print say "per air carrier availability". When tried to select seat two days later, out of 5 flight, only one was available... of course too late to get refund. Communicated with Expedia customer service - can't help. A flight was delayed by 5 hours, Expedia didn't inform me when all other passengers were informed and had to spend the time in the airport instead the hotel like the others. Bottom line, bad agency when things go wrong.

Original review: July 22, 2019

On 2/1/19 I obtained 2 plane tickets from Newark Airport to San Antonio for departure 3/6/19 and returned 3/12/19. Unfortunately due to a family emergency we had to change our flights to 3/6/19 to 3/9/19. Expedia accommodated us and said the first fare would be refunded. Well it's now almost 6 months later and many phone calls. They are refusing to refund the fare for the first flights. Very unprofessional, very dishonest, and I would not recommend Expedia to anyone for any travel needs. I'm sure I am not the first one nor the only one they have done this to. One disgruntled customer can ruin your day, enough disgruntled customers can ruin your business.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Didn’t have kosher meal on 15 hour flight. Then after 3rd flight 30 hours I try to check-in to hotel. They see Israel passport and want to charge me extra 150 euro after I paid 1,500$ for 26 day package and Expedia offered 30$ credit and wouldn’t refund my money after spending 40$ on long distance calls.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Please NEVER use Expedia for your airline ticketing. Firstly, you will always pay more for the perceived benefit of having a travel agency assisting you, ALWAYS book with the airline directly. Second, customer service is non existent, if you need assistance you WILL BE sent to a call center in India. Third, you leave having a guaranteed seat to chance. Lastly, if you need a refund on a flight cancellation, best of luck!!!! My refund was supposedly processed with a fee (fine), and told 8 weeks for refund to process (robbery, but fine as long as it processes)....has been 12 weeks with no $$$$ no replies for status update. Save yourself potential problems and theft, DO NOT USE EXPEDIA!!!! Book direct with the airline ALWAYS!!!!

Original review: July 21, 2019

During a cross country road trip we used Expedia to book a hotel room for our family of 6 for a night. Once arriving at the hotel around midnight (with crying babies and kids) we found out that Expedia listed a room that was not available. The hotel try to accommodate but only had a room with one bed so we ended up having to sleep three to a bed with kids on the floor. To top things off this is the second time in less than a year that we used Expedia to book a hotel room that was not actually available. When we called Expedia to get a refund they only offered a $50 credit?? Safe to say we will NOT be using Expedia in the future.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I had a horrible experience with Expedia.com. I booked a hotel with a specific date, but Expedia booked a different date without telling me the specific date is not available. I got a confirmation number, and assumed it is the correct one. When my family with 3 children arrived at the hotel around 12 AM, hotel told me this difference. I was left in limbo and called Expedia for help without any assistance. I drove my family around town till 1:30 am to find one finally by myself without any choice. Really pisssssssed off. I will never use Expedia anymore and warn others to be careful with the date. Double check if it is the one you want. I think Expedia just want to sell more to make profit without considering the benefits of customers and common sense! I really feel guilty for mistreating my three young children this way, but Expedia has no excuse to deny its due responsibility!

Original review: July 19, 2019

I am writing about bad experience of our hotel company. We made bulk payment against their invoice including a credit note (U$108) against which we have adjusted the payment and released balance payment in 2017. Now they identified and shut our property due to want of old outstanding which we already paid.

(a) Looks their accounting was too weak to notify the client after two years, however, where the payment was already made.
      (b) Before they do this nonsense at least would have verified the background and gone through the communications.
      (c) Spoke to their local Market Manager seems least bothered about this issue and simply redirected to Assistance.

(d) Tired of sending the payment proof more than 10 times and no response.

Without our fault why should we suffer and beg to Expedia on every communication to please acknowledge and open our hotel to booktable. Are they doing favour to our hotels???? OR getting benefit from hotel of their margins???

Original review: July 19, 2019

Tried to book flights but the page said there was a payment problem. Checked my account and $5000 are gone. Called Expedia, they told me they haven't received anything. Wouldn't even hold the price for me until it's sorted out. Have spent 3 hours going back and forth with them and my bank. People on the phone were unapologetic and unsympathetic and offered no compensation for this significant inconvenience. Would pay more money not to deal with them.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I booked a $1,900 trip, airfare for 3, for my family. The airline cancelled the flight. Expedia notified me that I had options, which was to rebook at a higher cost with multiple stops, but I opted to receive the full refund which was through Aeromexico. However, I was told it would take up to 8 WEEKS to receive a refund. Multiple conversations with Expedia customer service and supervisors were unsuccessful attempts to receive an immediate refund. So Expedia/Aeromexico keeps my $1,900 for 8 weeks, and I will spend $3000 booking new tickets.

I would expect, at a very minimum, a full, immediate refund, plus a credit for the additional money I will spend to book new tickets. Also I spent hours on the phone, mostly on hold. I will never use Expedia or Travelocity to book travel again. Don't waste your time or money. Go directly to the airline or hotel sites. Avoid the Expedia fees, terrible communication, hassle, completely useless service, and risk of losing your money.

Original review: July 18, 2019

We booked with Expedia to go to Greece. Our flights were delayed, we were sitting in a plane for two hours and then we landed in London which is where my partner and I were supposed to have a connected flight... It got cancelled. The airline who is partner with Expedia had no compassion of the ordeal they were putting us through. The airline was only moved when I caught an anxiety attack and decided to give us voucher for food and hotel. We were expected by our love ones and reserved hotel on the 18th but we never arrived. Called Expedia customer service and lasted on the phone with them for 2 hrs with no resolution. We also got disconnected and no one had the decency to return my call. I will never again put myself or family through this...They ruined my family trip. Please spare your family memories and book with another vendor who protects and care for their customers.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Somehow Expedia hijacked the Marriott Vacations site as I called the 800 number listed on the site when I needed to speak with someone. I went through the entire booking with the Expedia agent and all was well. After the fact I considered insuring the trip and shortly thereafter I received an email to sign up for the waiver within 24 hours of booking. After several attempts at accepting the offer and receiving a “We are unable to complete your booking. Please try again later.” I finally called and was advised I had to agree to insurance when the trip was booked. I was never offered insurance when I booked the trip.

That being said I called back to cancel and rebook with the insurance as I saw the same rooms and flights available on the website. I was shocked when upon completion of the reservation I was quoted $11,600 with insurance when I booked the exact same trip yesterday for $9,100 without insurance. Insurance was $500. I was advised by the agent “Michelle” that prices are “subject to change.” I immediately declined and as she was going through the refund process I booked the SAME flight and hotel via Marriott Vacations for $9,500 with insurance. I’ll be dipped in ** before I ever consider booking via Expedia and I look forward to flaming them with all my friends and family and perhaps several online rating sites. Thanks for nothing... I spent well over an hour with these people to book and get this resolved.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Booked a hotel online through Expedia with some difficulty due to multiple large groups in town at the same time. Arrived at hotel to find I had no reservation! Heatwave in Phoenix and I had no hotel!!! The hotel was GREAT (Hilton Garden Inn N. Phoenix)! Expedia was at fault and kept me on hold for nearly an hour. I just wanted Expedia to provide proof I would not be charged so I could make my own arrangement with the hotel. Expedia jerked me around, but did eventually send confirmation of cancellation w/o charge. Maybe not as bad an experience as others, but I will NOT be using Expedia again!

Original review: July 15, 2019

We booked our flights through Expedia with Cancellation Insurance added on for $70.00. It is a scam! You cannot cancel your flights - basically unless you are giving birth. Tried to change the flights. No luck there. Ended up cancelling with my Visa Avion card that has cancellation insurance booked into it that helped us out right away. Worst experience ever. Never again!

Original review: July 15, 2019

I recently made a booking to Bulgaria, I used a very known airline search engine, in that engine I specifically removed the Airports I did not want to travel from as it takes too long to travel there. I selected a specific flight, reason being I am traveling with another colleague. There was a link available saying click here to add an Expedia hotel, which I did. I searched for the hotel I wanted and added that, assuming that my previous search criteria and selections were still available. I progress to payment, and after payment I received confirmation of the hotel and the airline, however the airline was specifically the one which I deselected as I can't travel to that airport.

Raising the issue with Expedia (the party that took my payment), they came back relatively quickly cancelling the hotel but stated they needed 48 hours to discuss with the airline to cancel. They were good in keeping me posted. However I just received a call from their escalations team saying they investigated and their research show I selected that specific airline. They refuse to refund me the money. Upon asking the agent from Expedia the name of the person I could contact to further escalate the issue, her response were that she is the last person in line to escalate to and the outcome is final. I obviously did not agree and again asked who I can contact. To my surprise her answer was: "You can google who you want to escalate to." So fellow consumers, I decided I am not going to accept Expedia's answer - we need to protect our consumer rights! The answer and attitude from Expedia is just not acceptable!!!

Original review: July 12, 2019

I booked a hotel on Expedia website that was $62.70 per night at the Warwick hotel. The total cost for 5 nights was $382.80 non-refundable. Three weeks later Expedia emails me to tell me the correct rate was $3025.79. They told they could not honor my booking at that rate. The next day I phoned expedia and they said they would honor 382.80 rate. Two days later Expedia cancelled my reservation and refunded me 382.80. This is bad experience with Expedia. That hot rate advertised on their Expedia website be it 50 or 70% off might be incorrect. I phone Expedia customer service and they said I would have to pay the correct price for their mistake. That is a bad experience, I will not go back to Expedia again...

Original review: July 12, 2019

Airline/hotel bundle was purchased for three people (1 adult, 2 minors). Upon checking out I was prompted by the site to "log in". After doing so, I was able to check out not realizing that the site had changed the name on the adult ticket. Fast forward 18 hrs before the flight, I get online to check in for our flight and see the error. Called Expedia immediately. 4.5 hrs later..on hold and speaking with representatives at Expedia call center and corporate office nothing was resolved. Was told by Corporate Rep that she could see where the error occurred and I did indeed try to complete the reservation twice in my name and reservation was changed after being prompted to "log in". But because I didn't check over the confirmation that was emailed to me after the reservation was complete, (received confirmation and immediately saved email) I was at fault.

Mind you, the Expedia representative at the call center and the 1st supervisor that I spoke with cited that they could see that an error occurred with the reservation and it was considered a "site error" and no fault of mine and transferred me to the corporate rep to change the name on the ticket as indicated on the original reservation. I asked the Corporate rep to send via email the info that she was looking at to me and she then referred me to Expedia's legal department. I also called the airline while on hold with Expedia and they were of no help. The trip was then canceled 14 hrs before our flight which was a $1,200 loss. So many other sites to purchase tickets/vacations from. In the future, I will never again use Expedia. #expedia and #americanair.... Thanks for Nothing!

Original review: July 12, 2019

We booked a flight on Expedia. We got to CPH airport and found out it was a seasonal flight and was not flying. We called Expedia. They said it was not their problem as we flew with a low cost airline and it was in the details. They called the airline and got us a refund however, we were at CPH airport with no flight to Austria. We had to book a flight at $1100 (the only ones available). Expedia said they would not cover the rebooking and could not help us. They said the airline should have contacted us direct to cancel the flight. We never received an email from the airline but we had received an email from Expedia 2 days prior saying everything was confirmed for our upcoming flight. It took an hour on the phone from one person to another (cost $21.00) to have them tell us there was nothing they could do. I will never use Expedia again and I feel they owe us the ticket price and the phone call cost.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I had my family vacation to Las Vegas and I booked a hotel through Expedia for 3 days. I booked a single itinerary. But what happened Expedia booked the itinerary with the hotel in 2 different bookings. Expedia showed me a hotel rate per night and did multiple booking internally. This made me difficult at the hotel. When I checked in to the hotel, the hotel representative informed me, "You have only booked for 1 day." Then I asked them to check again. They said, "You have another reservation which is the next day." The hotel provided me room for 1 night and asked me to check out the next day. And check in for the new room.

The next day I went out and checked out carrying all my luggage. The hotel said that the check-in will be only at 3 pm and the room was not ready. I have to wait in the lobby carrying my luggage till 3 pm and wasted my vacation days at Las Vegas. I booked for a Grand Canyon trip, but due to this issue, my trip got canceled. I was waiting at the hotel with my wife and kid for morning to 3 pm to get the room. It was a horrible experience for me.

After the vacation, I called the Expedia customer service and they took my concern to the manager and the call last for 2 hours to get the manager. They kept on putting me on hold. Finally, I got the manager on the line, and his name was Chris. He patiently listened to my concern and asked me what you are looking for. I did not receive any kind of courtesy or apology for this. After listening to this I said I need compensation at least half the price of my booking. He did not agree and he said he can give me some $100 voucher.

Comparing my difficulties on that day canceling my precious trip to Grand Canyon and losing one whole day at Las Vegas was not enough for me. If Expedia has courtesy they made the multiple booking internally without notifying me. Actually, Expedia lied or tricked me while booking a single itinerary. This is not at all acceptable and I suggest not go with Expedia anymore, rather there are other booking sites with good reviews. Expedia is Horrible. Don't go for that.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Long story short... A return flight from the Bahamas was cancelled and there was not another one out for 3 days. Traveling with 3 kids is difficult enough. One of the tickets we had was bought directly through Silver and they refunded the money for the 1 ticket on the spot. They told me I had to go through Expedia to get the refund on the tickets I bought through Expedia. I start the process once we get home and Expedia says they can't refund the tickets due to the airline... Which doesn't make sense since the airline refunded the one we bought through them. I lost a lot of money on this trip that I even paid more for the travel insurance on. I will NEVER book through Expedia again.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Two days ago, I was on Expedia to purchase 3 airline tickets. I chose the flights, put in all of the info they requested, then at the end, it said the booking could not be completed. I tried again, still no. I happened to check my balance on my debit card, not only had they put a "hold on the funds" , but also charged booking fee of $6.70 FIVE TIMES!!! I spent almost 3 hours on the phone that day trying to fix this, they told me I could have my funds available in 3 days. I said I DIDN'T RECEIVE THE TICKETS! So, since the funds are on hold, I cannot yet go elsewhere to purchase the tickets. Then, yesterday another 2+ hours on the phone, FINALLY being assured my funds would be available by the end of the day, but NO SUCH LUCK! Today, almost over, still nothing. I have spoken to some rude agents there. Not even a supervisor offered to let me purchase (when my funds are available) the trip at the original cost, since the price of the trip has gone up.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I decided to book a vacation to Las Vegas through Expedia at the end of May. I received an email confirmation immediately so I did not think the plane tickets and other confirmations were not attached. Today is the day before my trip and I am preparing to print off my plane tickets only to realize they are not attached. Within the confirmation email there is a number to call for customer support. I tried calling this number all day and could only connect in the afternoon.

Once I spoke to someone they said I had only bought cancellation insurance and did not see my trip booking. They asked to see my credit card statement and also told me I called a number they didn't recognize (even though it was the number upon which I was speaking to them on). I relayed my confirmation number and the person I was speaking to said Expedia doesn't deal with confirmation numbers. I was transferred several times - once to an individual who put me on hold to call the very number I called. The third person I was transferred to - Fouad - attempted perhaps 5-10 times to send an email to my work and personal account. Finally the email goes through.

I spent a whole day away from my job dealing with this issue so I asked to speak to their Supervisor. Alex answers the phone and says he's sorry but it was my fault essentially. I should have called earlier. He said I booked this trip at the end of May and it was my fault I didn't deal with this sooner. I have no words. I just hope no one else receives this kind of treatment.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I made a reservation for a car rental in the United Kingdom thru Expedia in January. The rental was for 6 weeks, and I prepaid approximately $1800. When I went to the UK car rental counter, I was told that the third party insurance policy that I carry for collision damage waiver was not acceptable to them, and I was told I would have to buy the rental company's CDW for several hundred dollars more. The rental car company then offered me a whole new contract that was less than the proposed Expedia rental, and included CDW. I was told I could not use the Expedia prepayment and must reclaim the money I had put down from Expedia.

I have been trying to reclaim the money from Expedia ever since, and they have offered a variety of specious reasons for not refunding my money. I wrote to them over a month ago and said I wanted the claim referred to an independent arbitrator, which is the specified remedy in Expedia's terms and conditions. They have so far ignored my letter. They are simply not responding.

Original review: July 9, 2019

We rented a car with Easirent through Expedia in Edinburgh, Scotland. Far from the low price they advertised, we ended up paying more than twice what we were quoted at booking. They charged us for full coverage insurance when we asked for minimum coverage, they charged for gas, even though we followed their instructions to bring it back half full, they charged for navigation equipment. None of this was spelled out when we picked up the car, and we were given no paperwork. Instead they faxed it to Glasgow where we returned the car. We were pressured to sign to be able to continue our vacation. I feel their intent was to defraud. Will never again use this company.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Total ripoff. Spent 8 hours on the phone trying to cancel hotel after emergency with family. I paid for the caNCELATION PROTECTION and they will not honor the coverage. Horrible company. Please don't do business with Expedia.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I fly to my corporate office every 2 months. My corporate office has been known to cancel a meeting every now and then so I bought cancellation insurance just in case this ever happened to me. Unfortunately, they cancelled a meeting, but I thought to myself "good thing I bought that insurance". However, when I cancelled my flight and filed the claim as instructed by Expedia Travel Guard denied the claim saying that this reason was not acceptable reason to cancel the trip and denied my claim. Another reason to ALWAYS read the fine print. You would think "cancellation insurance" would insure you when you cancel, but apparently not...

Expedia expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs