2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.99/5
Based on 3,213 ratings submitted in the last year

Expedia Reviews

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

After I couldn't get on my plane to the United Stated due to my ESTA delay, I tried calling the plane companies I was supposed to travel with, and they couldn't fix my problem. I called Expedia and receiving an amazing service from Ann. She was able to change my ticket to a completely new itinerary, all of this without fees. I'm still amazed that this could have happened, as when I called the flight companies directly they told me there would be up to 2000$ fees. Ann was able to change my flight ticket for no fees at all. Thank you Expedia for this customer experience, and thank you Ann for your amazing service.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I had an issue with an on line booking and called the general customer service number requesting an automatic call back. Within a matter of a minute I had received a call back. Mohammed (located in Cairo Egypt) addressed my issue immediately, called the hotel I had booked, and resolved my issue in a professional and timely manner. He was wonderful and I only wish that all customer service agents would be as great at their job as he is. Thank you again Mohammed, and thank you Expedia.

Kindest regards,

Debbie

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been using Expedia for booking flights and hotels a few times already. It has been very reliable. This time I booked a flight from London to Hong Kong. I only found out that I booked the wrong month after I have paid for the ticket. I panicked and rang customer service. The staff was very helpful and he tried to keep me calm. Since I only made the booking in half an hour, he was able to give me a full refund. I am very grateful that a full refund is available since it was my mistake. This definitely makes me feel very confident with this company and will continue to use this website.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had to write a review to highlight the amazing customer service I had with Expedia yesterday. I am heading to San Diego, but due to illness and a doctor's appointment, I had to delay my trip by one day. I called to switch my hotel reservation and spoke with Eric. He said that normally, the hotel won't make any changes and will still charge me for the extra night, but said he'd speak with them to try and make the change anyway. After waiting on hold for a bit, Eric came back on to say that he'd convinced the hotel to make the change and give me a refund for the night I wouldn't be there! I was so grateful! It's so refreshing to have people like Eric working in customer service. He truly understand what it is to provide amazing customer service!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I recently booked a hotel on the Oregon Coast for a weekend. The evening before my trip (and day before the stay) I received a notice from Expedia that the Hotel had cancelled my reservation/booking due to "construction". Weird? Was this construction decided at the last minute? It didn't matter - I had a problem. I called the number for Expedia customer support given in the notice. They were on top of it... Super helpful... and somehow found a room for me and Barnaby (my Golden-doodle) at a nearby hotel. That hotel charged more, but Expedia made up the difference. Wow! It seems like every time I try anyone other than Expedia or Orbitz, I come to regret it. Expedia has risen to the top of my Favorites list. I hope they stay there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I have been with Expedia for years. I just had the worst experience at expedia. I booked an Eastern China flight through Expedia in November. I canceled the flight due to the on going coronavirus. Eastern China announced they are offering a full refund on their official website, but Expedia insisted that I would need to pay a $150 cancellation fee and said it was Eastern China's policy. I contacted Eastern China about the situation, they told me I was eligible for a full refund without cancellation fees, and they aren't receiving that $150 fee. Expedia claims it was the airline's policy to charge me 150 cancellation fee. But guess who is pocketing the money...

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Misrepresentation of company. After searching the internet for Boston Park Plaza, called a number believing it was the hotel’s reservation phone. When I asked if this was Boston park plaza reservation she said, "Yes we reserve for BPP." Then proceeded to take my reservation never mentioning Expedia. That was only the beginning.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Had the worst experience with Expedia. Expedia is a fraud, and unreliable! You are warned, run away from Expedia. Cheap flight comes with a catch and they will get you. Called to cancel a return flight on April 1, 2019, spoke to a representative called "Nolan **" (from roverflights.com) paid $500 for cancellation got an email of the transaction, and was told I will get a refund of $1596.91 by June/July 2019. After several, countless calls to 1-866-603-5912 I got a representative who told me Nolan ** does not work with them anymore and that I should get my refund end of September. Did not get a refund, called day and night everyday for 2 months got no one to pick up. Was later told by a machine the line is out of service.

Followed up with Delta Airline, and was told no record showed on their side of the cancellation and was redirected to Expedia since I purchased from them. After which I followed up with two supervisors from Expedia (James **, and Daniel) on Jan 21, 2020 for more than 2 hours combined and was finally told they have no record of the cancellation that it was a "No Show" according to Delta Airline and they have no record of the company/person I cancelled with despite the email showing the transaction and a snap-shoot of my bank statement showing the $500 leaving my account on the day of cancellation. I am disappointed, and surprised, did not expect to be a victim of fraud with Expedia. I am heart-broken with Expedia.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I would like to warn everyone against booking travel with Expedia, especially package deals. A few friends and I recently used Expedia to book a trip to Mexico, including air, hotel, and ground transportation. When we arrived at the airport at 4:30am, we learned that our tickets were not ticketed properly by Expedia, and they were unusable. The airline was helpful, but it was out of their hands. This began the 13 hours (not an exaggeration) of phone time with Expedia customer service to resolve the issue. We spoke to over 10 different team members that day, each telling us the mistake was too expensive to correct and outside of their 'approval limits.'

We ended up losing an entire day of our vacation and when I've reached out to customer service, each time I just receive the same 'auto-generated' form email again and again. They will not even acknowledge the fact that their mistake caused us to lose an entire day of travel, and gain an entire day from hell on the phone with them. Complete, complete disregard for their customers. Oh, and by the way, when we finally arrived to the hotel, the booking was incorrect (made for 3 people instead of 4). DO NOT EVER BOOK WITH EXPEDIA unless you're willing to gamble that you won't actually arrive on the date and time you wish to. BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Terrible service!!! On November 16 I booked first class round trip from Minneapolis to Maui on January 11 with insurance. The first and short leg was first class, the rest of the trip was the worst and cheapest seats on the planes.

Not sure about Expedia?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Airlines for you.

Expedia expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team