3.26/5
Based on 3,283 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Expedia

Looking for a travel site?

4669 Expedia Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 27, 2019

I had an issue with an on line booking and called the general customer service number requesting an automatic call back. Within a matter of a minute I had received a call back. Mohammed (located in Cairo Egypt) addressed my issue immediately, called the hotel I had booked, and resolved my issue in a professional and timely manner. He was wonderful and I only wish that all customer service agents would be as great at their job as he is. Thank you again Mohammed, and thank you Expedia.

Kindest regards,

Debbie

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been using Expedia for booking flights and hotels a few times already. It has been very reliable. This time I booked a flight from London to Hong Kong. I only found out that I booked the wrong month after I have paid for the ticket. I panicked and rang customer service. The staff was very helpful and he tried to keep me calm. Since I only made the booking in half an hour, he was able to give me a full refund. I am very grateful that a full refund is available since it was my mistake. This definitely makes me feel very confident with this company and will continue to use this website.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had to write a review to highlight the amazing customer service I had with Expedia yesterday. I am heading to San Diego, but due to illness and a doctor's appointment, I had to delay my trip by one day. I called to switch my hotel reservation and spoke with Eric. He said that normally, the hotel won't make any changes and will still charge me for the extra night, but said he'd speak with them to try and make the change anyway. After waiting on hold for a bit, Eric came back on to say that he'd convinced the hotel to make the change and give me a refund for the night I wouldn't be there! I was so grateful! It's so refreshing to have people like Eric working in customer service. He truly understand what it is to provide amazing customer service!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I recently booked a hotel on the Oregon Coast for a weekend. The evening before my trip (and day before the stay) I received a notice from Expedia that the Hotel had cancelled my reservation/booking due to "construction". Weird? Was this construction decided at the last minute? It didn't matter - I had a problem. I called the number for Expedia customer support given in the notice. They were on top of it... Super helpful... and somehow found a room for me and Barnaby (my Golden-doodle) at a nearby hotel. That hotel charged more, but Expedia made up the difference. Wow! It seems like every time I try anyone other than Expedia or Orbitz, I come to regret it. Expedia has risen to the top of my Favorites list. I hope they stay there.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Will try and keep it short and simple. Purchased a flight to Cabo and paid the added cost for price match promise. Received about 3 emails congratulating me on better price matches that added up to $166.28. Read the terms and conditions that clearly stated to wait after our flight and then call and ask for our price match refund. When we called customer service... which of course is an overseas Indian service! They tried to tell me that I wasn't eligible for my refund because I called after my flight! Whaaaa! Immediately asked for U.S. customer service which I was denied. I was passed along to a manager/supervisor and was offered a $166.28 credit on my next purchase, which I turned down!!!

At this point, I was upset and demanded a US representative. After 1.5 hours on the phone... I finally got through! Within 5 minutes my refund was applied and was offered an apology. I had to ask... "What went wrong? Is your program a scam? Should I not purchase this plan going forward?" Simple answer: "Our overseas Customer service was confused and didn't understand." Hmm... Not sure I believe it 100%, but in my opinion they are trained to give future credits not refunds! Btw, not only did I get our rightful refund, but I also got a $200 credit towards my next purchase. I will give them 4 stars out of 5, but they really need to fix this problem asap!!! If, it wouldn't have taken me 1.5 hours of my time... They would have gotten 5 stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

My return flight was canceled by the airline and had to be rebooked. Expedia canceled the flight and said I would get a refund. When it hadn't arrived in a few days I called back and was told it could take 7 days. Still didn't come in that week so I called back and was told up to eight weeks. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she told me she would personally talk to the Airline and expedite the refund the next day. I didn't hear anything the next day so I called again and the new agent said nobody had talked to the airline and there was nothing they could do. I had to wait out the 8 weeks. No 2 people ever said the same thing. No one really seemed to know what was going on and I spent over 6 hours on the phone between all these calls. Will never deal with Expedia again.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I've been online today searching trips to Belize. Switching back and forth between days. All of the sudden the price tripled for the exact same search. I got on my phone app and the price went back down. Expedia is a ripoff. Although I have used them in the past, I noticed this same thing back then. WHY DOES THE PRICE GO UP FOR THE SAME SEARCH.... It's like they are tracking your IP address and if they think you are really interested they jack up the price... UNREAL!!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I made a block booking for 6 rooms at a hotel. This was for 12 ladies on a trip to celebrate a 60th birthday. This booking was given a reference number for the lot.

2 days later I chose to cancel the booking as the logistics of organising the event for 12 people was not possible on the Expedia platform.. I did cancel the booking as the unit booking for a block of 6 rooms.

6 months later, on arriving the hotel I was told that Expedia cancelled 2 rooms rather than the entire block. I am now told that I am liable for the cost of 4 rooms. The 6 rooms were given 1 booking reference number and I cancelled the referenced booking. Expedia refuse to take responsibility for this error and insist I should have cancelled each room individually.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

So, I purchase 8 tickets for my family to visit Cancun, excellent price for round trip, non-stop one way. About 2 months before I am notified that the flight is cancelled and they provided 3 outlandish options, all of which involved a minimum of three transfers and 18+ of layovers. I tell them this is not an option, of course, because we are traveling with 4 kids and we booked the flight through Expedia (TravelJet). They cancel the flights and advise me to contact TravelJet to get my refund. Over 50 emails later and 15 hours on hold with TravelJet, they tell me that Expedia is responsible. Through this whole process I have ccd Expedia, and of course they have not responded. Ultimately, I bought through Expedia, they tell me they can't reimburse me, contact TravelJet, whom 6 weeks later says they can't reimburse me and it's always been the responsibility of Expedia.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I use to book all my trips through Expedia (will never do that again). My last booking was to DR for July trip to 5 star hotel. Due to all the deaths happening in DR I called Expedia. Representative assured me that he can definitely get me a full refund on the hotel but on airline only credit. I explained to the representative DO NOT cancel my trip if I cannot get full refund for hotel. He places me on hold, called (as he said) hotel and they confirmed full refund will be issued, just need an email request. Expedia representative cancelled flights hotel and said card will be refunded in 14 days.

I called the next day to make sure all was taken care off. Expedia representative said they contacting the hotel again. After dew days I called again and they told me Hotel does not want to give a refund. Representative said, "Sorry we cannot do anything about it. Hotel will keep 100% of the payment." (14 days prior my arrival). Expedia listen to the first Representative guarantee for refund and said, "Sorry nothing we can do, just call your bank to dispute. This is the only way." I called the Capital One, explained situation, provided my own recordings. After their investigation Bank said Expedia refuses to return the money. Never Again for Expedia and changing to another bank.

Expedia expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs