2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.09/5

Expedia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: April 4, 2020

So, with CoViD-19 going on, everything has been shaky. We live in the States, and we booked a ticket for my parents to go abroad a few months ago (before the virus spread outside China). In any case, they left abroad and, now, we are where we are currently. They practice social distancing abroad, and we practice social distancing here in the States. In any case, they had 2 return tickets (previously booked) for the 6th of April. However, their flights were cancelled (purchased 2 different tickets to return via a stop in London, for my parents to see their friends - mind you, this was before the virus). In any case, with the flights cancelled, some airlines can be very noncooperative.

Anyway, today, I called Expedia and spoke to an agent named Zee. The case of these cancelled flights was difficult because they said "British Airways operated by Qatar Airlines," plus, my parents already flew to their destination (so the ticket was half used essentially). So, two airlines were involved. This was a big juggling session between the two airlines. In any case, Zee tried very hard and spent a few hours trying to get a refund for the cancelled ticket. Ultimately, she had to refer me to her supervisor, whose name is John. He was able to get my the refund to both flights, before which he calculated the refund and let me know in advance. I am very pleased with their customer service, and people like them will elevate the customer service of Expedia.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Expedia went above and beyond in taking care of a totally bad - failed situation for me. I booked a stay at a hotel that had a contract within another - RedDoorz Premium near Gaston Park Cagayan De Oro City. I was on vacation from the USA and I get there and the hotel no longer exists. Only the new hotel and the old sign above the building. After a couple calls expedia had me in another hotel close by with all above and beyond expenses paid. They even switched me one more time to an even better hotel after I found that one not up to my standards. They really took care of what could've been a very bad situation. Thank you so much...!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2020

I am not very computer savvy but it was very easy to establish my airline reservation. To be sure that everything was accomplished correctly I phoned Expedia and the customer service rep reviewed my reservation input line by line and confirmed my reservation. Asked the customer rep several questions concerning what I should do once I received my E ticket and he was very helpful. While we were still on the phone he said to check my email to see if I had any further questions. My customer service experience was one of a very few that I have dealt with in the past that I felt went above and beyond. I'm certain I will have no problems when I go to the airport because I will already be checked in 24 hours prior to flight time.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

After failing to reach Expedia by phone yesterday ("no one available" recording then disconnection)--then reading many terrible reviews of Expedia service related to coronavirus cancellations--my friend and I expected the worst when we called today. We had a Thailand trip booked through Expedia, transferring planes in Beijing. But today, the wondrous Michelle answered the phone, cancelled trip #1 and rebooked, taking time to ensure we had the best possible itinerary. We had spent enough time online searching yesterday to know we're really fortunate to have our new trip--a bit more expensive than the last, but we leave in three days so no surprise there, and no longer than the original one. The frustration of other Expedia reviewers sounds just awful: so here's my advice: ask for Michelle!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

After I couldn't get on my plane to the United Stated due to my ESTA delay, I tried calling the plane companies I was supposed to travel with, and they couldn't fix my problem. I called Expedia and receiving an amazing service from Ann. She was able to change my ticket to a completely new itinerary, all of this without fees. I'm still amazed that this could have happened, as when I called the flight companies directly they told me there would be up to 2000$ fees. Ann was able to change my flight ticket for no fees at all. Thank you Expedia for this customer experience, and thank you Ann for your amazing service.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Recently I purchase a ticket with this website (application). The airline didn’t allowed me to travel, due to current situation with COVID-19, I needed a special document. So they said I will get my money back! But the Expedia told I should call the airline myself and ask for refund!? Because I just booked with them! So what is your job here?! Why use your site? DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM!!! Thieves!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I am in the middle of a nightmare because of Expedia. Went online to book a trip. There was an issue with their website. Long story short I have no booking and Expedia at one point had withdrawn over $7,000 from my bank account with nothing to show for it. My trip in total that I was attempting to book was only around $3,000. So of course as you can imagine when I see my bank account I panic cuz clearly there's an issue. Did an online chat with Expedia only to be treated so rude, it was disgusting. They gave me the wrong number when I asked for a phone number to contact somebody. After doing my own search I found one phone number that I could get through as a human being only to be told that there's nothing that they can do and if it isn't reversed within the next five business days I should call them back. That was their solution. That was what they said my options were.

Then they have the audacity to point their finger at United airlines and told me that I need to call them and ask them to release the funds. I called my bank. They told me that there was nothing that they could do and that I needed to call Expedia and tell them to release it and Expedia will do nothing to attempt to help me. There was two charges of $3,350.40, another charge of over $500 and another charge of almost $600. The $500 and the $600 charges were reversed immediately from Expedia. The two charges for over $3,350.40 haven't been touched and according to my bank they show no sign of any reversal to be done. So now I'm in a position where I have almost $7,000 missing for my account and nothing can be done about it. I sure as heck can't turn around and try to book again even directly through an airline because the money isn't there any longer.

The fact that they don't take this seriously or take their responsibility of this happening is absolutely devastating. Especially in a time we're in the middle of a global pandemic and people's money is more important than ever with so much uncertainty. I'm asking is there anybody that knows who I can go to or where to post this that they can be exposed and then maybe they'll step up and do something if for nothing else to save their own name. I have contacted Channel 8 on your side, Fox consumer affairs, attorney general, senior crime stoppers and the FTC. I’ve blasted them on twitter and FB and their own FB page.

They themselves (Expedia) still at this very moment will not do anything and will only say sorry for the inconvenience and if money is not released in SEVEN business days to call them back. They act as if it’s a $10 mistake they have made. Hopefully I will get somewhere with the people I have contacted. I was also able to find CEO and Directing manager email and contacted them with ZERO response!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

My struggle with Expedia took months of phone calls and hours of waiting. I booked multiple flights under Expedia back in Oct 2019. My flights was suppose to take off July 2020. However as we all know, Covid happened and flights started to get canceled. Of course I contact Expedia regarding the flights. I haven't received a refund for any of the flights. It have been more than 6 months. One of my flights was promised as a refund of original payments. They gave me credits, claiming they couldn't get a hold of me. I called them more than 20 times btw and I lost tracks of how many emails I sent. My other two flights, I was told they couldn't get a hold of the airlines so here we are, still waiting as of October 2020.

Now is come the scam of all scam. I bought two tickets for Eva Air using Expedia. Notice I called them back in May when the airline canceled the flight. I was told I was going to get my refunds back after 8 weeks. I called them again in July. I received a refund for one ticket but not the other. I let them know multiple times I did not got my refund. They claimed that one ticket [the one that didn't get refunded] was processed in May, was still processing. They told me I had wait 8 more weeks for the refund. I even contacted the airline and they too told me the refund was still processing. I was upset but I waited.

Here come October. 8 weeks later. I contact Expedia again. Now they are telling me both tickets was refunded already. One in June and One in July. First of all, they lied to me back in July but that wasn't the icing on the cake. The part that got me was that they claimed that I used two credit card on file. One was the original credit card I purchase the ticket for and one for the name correction I did for that ticket in Nov 2019. When I called them in Nov 2019 for a name correction, the expedia customer service did the entire transaction via phone, even the fees. I assumed they would charge my original card the fee amount. Now in October 2020, I found out another card was used; a card I don't even own. I'm not sure how it even got in file.

Anyways, so expedia claimed they refunded me to that 2nd credit card on file, not the original payment one. After calling Eva Air, I found out the four digits of the credit card does not match any of my credit card. I contacted expedia regarding the matter. The representative refuse to acknowledge my claim. In his own word, he said the payment will stay on the other credit card regardless if I do not own that credit card. (Which is funny because I am the one who pay the 1200 for the ticket on the first credit card.)

So I asked him if he can provide me the full receipt for the transaction in which they claimed I used a 2nd credit card to pay the 100 fee. That was two days ago. Today I received an email from Expedia. It wasn't a receipt they send me. It was a statement saying they would charge 100 dollars per ticket for a name correction. Excuse me but I was sure I asked for the full statement as in the credit card used and the name of the owner of that credit card. Sounds like they used their own credit card and refunded themselve my money and refuse to acknowledge it and decided to keep the money for themselves. They refuse to show me the credit card information in which I had to call the airline and asked about. The airline told me they refunded the money to expedia and expedia was the one who processed the money to the credit card.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

This is 2020. I understand that everyone is trying to cancel flights and get a refund. I am not complaining about how long I have to wait to get my refund. I am complaining about THE LACK OF TRANSPARENCY. As the title states, I still have not received my refund after 4 months. During my wait, I have called Expedia numbers of times. Every time I called, they told me to wait longer. Now, since it's been 4 months, they are changing their story on me. One customer service representative said, they gave me my money back months ago and I should check with my bank. One representative said they will call me back, they never did. I asked to do a conference call with the airline, they said they can't do that... You get the game they're playing? All in all, Expedia is probably a good place to get cheap flights. However, if something happens.... GOOD LUCK.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I purchased a flight from Expedia that clearly stated "free cancellation within 24 hours" - I was not sure about my travels, so I booked with peace of mind. I cancelled within 24 hours, and they refuse to refund my money, stating it is airline policy. The only reason I booked with them was because of the 24 hour policy. I will never be using expedia again. Terrible customer service.

Expedia author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team