2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.09/5

Expedia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: April 4, 2020

So, with CoViD-19 going on, everything has been shaky. We live in the States, and we booked a ticket for my parents to go abroad a few months ago (before the virus spread outside China). In any case, they left abroad and, now, we are where we are currently. They practice social distancing abroad, and we practice social distancing here in the States. In any case, they had 2 return tickets (previously booked) for the 6th of April. However, their flights were cancelled (purchased 2 different tickets to return via a stop in London, for my parents to see their friends - mind you, this was before the virus). In any case, with the flights cancelled, some airlines can be very noncooperative.

Anyway, today, I called Expedia and spoke to an agent named Zee. The case of these cancelled flights was difficult because they said "British Airways operated by Qatar Airlines," plus, my parents already flew to their destination (so the ticket was half used essentially). So, two airlines were involved. This was a big juggling session between the two airlines. In any case, Zee tried very hard and spent a few hours trying to get a refund for the cancelled ticket. Ultimately, she had to refer me to her supervisor, whose name is John. He was able to get my the refund to both flights, before which he calculated the refund and let me know in advance. I am very pleased with their customer service, and people like them will elevate the customer service of Expedia.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Expedia went above and beyond in taking care of a totally bad - failed situation for me. I booked a stay at a hotel that had a contract within another - RedDoorz Premium near Gaston Park Cagayan De Oro City. I was on vacation from the USA and I get there and the hotel no longer exists. Only the new hotel and the old sign above the building. After a couple calls expedia had me in another hotel close by with all above and beyond expenses paid. They even switched me one more time to an even better hotel after I found that one not up to my standards. They really took care of what could've been a very bad situation. Thank you so much...!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2020

I am not very computer savvy but it was very easy to establish my airline reservation. To be sure that everything was accomplished correctly I phoned Expedia and the customer service rep reviewed my reservation input line by line and confirmed my reservation. Asked the customer rep several questions concerning what I should do once I received my E ticket and he was very helpful. While we were still on the phone he said to check my email to see if I had any further questions. My customer service experience was one of a very few that I have dealt with in the past that I felt went above and beyond. I'm certain I will have no problems when I go to the airport because I will already be checked in 24 hours prior to flight time.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

After failing to reach Expedia by phone yesterday ("no one available" recording then disconnection)--then reading many terrible reviews of Expedia service related to coronavirus cancellations--my friend and I expected the worst when we called today. We had a Thailand trip booked through Expedia, transferring planes in Beijing. But today, the wondrous Michelle answered the phone, cancelled trip #1 and rebooked, taking time to ensure we had the best possible itinerary. We had spent enough time online searching yesterday to know we're really fortunate to have our new trip--a bit more expensive than the last, but we leave in three days so no surprise there, and no longer than the original one. The frustration of other Expedia reviewers sounds just awful: so here's my advice: ask for Michelle!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

After I couldn't get on my plane to the United Stated due to my ESTA delay, I tried calling the plane companies I was supposed to travel with, and they couldn't fix my problem. I called Expedia and receiving an amazing service from Ann. She was able to change my ticket to a completely new itinerary, all of this without fees. I'm still amazed that this could have happened, as when I called the flight companies directly they told me there would be up to 2000$ fees. Ann was able to change my flight ticket for no fees at all. Thank you Expedia for this customer experience, and thank you Ann for your amazing service.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I actually have used Expedia many times for hotel booking and have had no issues. So, when my 25 year old son was traveling with friends asked me to help with his arrangements I trusted renting the car from Expedia. We chose a car, amount, paid an extra $60 for insurance and expected to pay $148.57 at pick up. When he arrived at the car rental company he handed them the reservation so they should have known exactly what he needed. My son called when he left the airport and let me know that he'd been charged $466.93 to rent the car. Evidently they told him that there was a mandatory insurance. They tried to sell him something for tolls (which upon arriving at their destination) never had to pay any. Thankfully they'd declined. No doubt an older person may have been able to argue but a 25 year old with little travel experience didn't know what to argue.

Like me he expected the amount due to be the same as on his reservation. I've spent hours on a live chat trying to get this resolved. I'd just like to know what went wrong. We finally got some kind of $200 deposit refunded but we still paid $118.36 over what we expected. I'd just say beware. Might be better to deal with a reputable car company. Oh, and I plan to review the car rental company too.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I bought a flight off of Expedia and never received an email with a reservation number or itinerary. My credit card had been charged so I didn’t want to buy another one and get charged twice. I tried to contact Expedia to straighten out the problem but their automated phone messages don’t give you the option to talk to a real person unless you have a reservation number but because they never sent me the confirmation I couldn’t talk to anyone. Finally the charges got dropped but now the flights have gone up adding an extra $200 as opposed to the cheap flights that were available when I first bought the tickets. Should’ve bought directly from the airline. Won’t make that mistake again.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I originally had a flight booked from Florida, USA to Florianopolis, Brazil in April of 2020. No big surprise when Covid-19 hit not only was the flight cancelled, but also no refunds - only flight credit. I don't really have a problem with any of that, in and of itself, as what happened was so undeniably out of anyone's control it couldn't be predicted. My problem with Expedia is two-fold. First, they never informed me that my original international flights had been cancelled. I actually found that out on my own. Not a single notification from Expedia prior to my trip, at all. I did, however, receive an email from them, about a month after my trip had been scheduled to notify me about my flight credit. Expedia, already, wasn't starting off on the best foot.

Now comes to where my experience became really, really bad. Things had calmed down enough in the world that I felt it was time to use my flight credit, and rebook my flight to Brazil (they're one of the few countries that doesn't have any travel restrictions for Americans). When I called in to use my flight credit (as this was the ONLY option to do so), it took me OVER TWO HOURS to rebook my flight. Sure, the representative was outwardly courteous, and nice during the interaction, but the fact I spent (LITERALLY) about one hour and forty-five minutes of that time on hold, was absolutely ridiculous.

The representative kept telling me that there weren't flights "available" (even though there were multiple ones on their own website). Oddly enough, when I protested they suddenly became "available." There was a slight difference in flight cost, so they took my payment information, and processed my payment...and that was I all. Or, at least, that's what I thought.

That was a week ago, and this morning I happened to be checking my bank account before I went to the supermarket, and I noticed a couple hundred dollars more in the account than there was yesterday. I could not figure out what it could be, so I started going through the history on my account, and it dawns on me... I'm not seeing the charge from Expedia anymore, from a week ago, for the flight difference cost. I check my reservation on the Expedia website, and...it doesn't show anything has changed. It still has my original flight dates from earlier in the year in April. So, I do what any normal person would do... I called Expedia to have them check it out.

And this is where things spiraled downhill faster than anyplace with which I've ever had to deal. The first gentleman I spoke to from Expedia customer service seemed nice enough. However, after he'd had me on hold for over a half hour, without any sort of check in, I began to infer something must be wrong. He then checked in with me after I'd been on hold for about forty minutes, and told me that there had been a problem with my payment. For some reason, he said, my rebooking was kept in a "pending" status by Expedia, so it had refunded me back my money after a week. He then put me back on hold for about another twenty minutes. When he came back he told me they could "fix" everything, but that in the week since I'd originally booked my change the ticket price had increased another $570 dollars, and that I needed to pay this in order to rebook my flight.

From here, I can only describe the representative as rude and argumentative. I replied to him that I agreed I would pay the amount I was originally quoted the week prior (about $200 dollars) when my payment was taken, but I refused to pay anything more. Moreover, since the fault was entirely on Expedia's side, that I didn't see how asking me to pay for a mistake they made was in any way appropriate. The representative, in no uncertain terms, told me that even though it was their mistake, I had to pay the additional $570 dollars. I refused, and asked to speak to a supervisor. He put me on hold (ostensibly to get a supervisor), and then hung up on me after twenty minutes.

I then called back two more times. Each time I had to wait over thirty minutes just to get a representative on the phone, and each time they put me on hold to get a supervisor AND hung up on me. I'm now on the phone again, waiting for someone to pick up the phone, so this can be resolved. I have wasted over four hours of my day so far, and I still have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show for it. This is THE worst customer service experience I've ever had IN MY LIFE. If I'm not able to resolve this on this phone call (which seems highly likely), I'm going to try again tomorrow. And, after that, if the same continues (which also seems highly likely), I will simply book a flight directly with the airline, and then pursue whatever legal action I can against Expedia, as well as file complaints against them with the Department of Transportation, and the FTC. This entire experience has been absolutely RIDICULOUS!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Recently I purchase a ticket with this website (application). The airline didn’t allowed me to travel, due to current situation with COVID-19, I needed a special document. So they said I will get my money back! But the Expedia told I should call the airline myself and ask for refund!? Because I just booked with them! So what is your job here?! Why use your site? DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM!!! Thieves!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I am in the middle of a nightmare because of Expedia. Went online to book a trip. There was an issue with their website. Long story short I have no booking and Expedia at one point had withdrawn over $7,000 from my bank account with nothing to show for it. My trip in total that I was attempting to book was only around $3,000. So of course as you can imagine when I see my bank account I panic cuz clearly there's an issue. Did an online chat with Expedia only to be treated so rude, it was disgusting. They gave me the wrong number when I asked for a phone number to contact somebody. After doing my own search I found one phone number that I could get through as a human being only to be told that there's nothing that they can do and if it isn't reversed within the next five business days I should call them back. That was their solution. That was what they said my options were.

Then they have the audacity to point their finger at United airlines and told me that I need to call them and ask them to release the funds. I called my bank. They told me that there was nothing that they could do and that I needed to call Expedia and tell them to release it and Expedia will do nothing to attempt to help me. There was two charges of $3,350.40, another charge of over $500 and another charge of almost $600. The $500 and the $600 charges were reversed immediately from Expedia. The two charges for over $3,350.40 haven't been touched and according to my bank they show no sign of any reversal to be done. So now I'm in a position where I have almost $7,000 missing for my account and nothing can be done about it. I sure as heck can't turn around and try to book again even directly through an airline because the money isn't there any longer.

The fact that they don't take this seriously or take their responsibility of this happening is absolutely devastating. Especially in a time we're in the middle of a global pandemic and people's money is more important than ever with so much uncertainty. I'm asking is there anybody that knows who I can go to or where to post this that they can be exposed and then maybe they'll step up and do something if for nothing else to save their own name. I have contacted Channel 8 on your side, Fox consumer affairs, attorney general, senior crime stoppers and the FTC. I’ve blasted them on twitter and FB and their own FB page.

They themselves (Expedia) still at this very moment will not do anything and will only say sorry for the inconvenience and if money is not released in SEVEN business days to call them back. They act as if it’s a $10 mistake they have made. Hopefully I will get somewhere with the people I have contacted. I was also able to find CEO and Directing manager email and contacted them with ZERO response!

Expedia author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team