1.10/5
  • 1 star
Based on 567 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Expedia

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

3532 Expedia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Expedia is basically a 3rd party that helps you find cheap prices on the internet. The catch though, if you rent a car at least, they will offer you insurance on the car for the number of days you have it just like a rental company does but that's their insurance and not connected with the rental company's policy. So basically if you crash then you'd have to claim it through Expedia rather than just let the rental handle it. This kind of detail is very hidden and it basically sucks. You're much better off booking directly.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

When my flight got cancelled they put me on another one... However they failed to tell me the date of my flight. So as result I wound up at the airport 24 hours early and it already given up my rental car... Their employees speak poor English and never made it clear to me my flight was the next day... Never coming back to these guys.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I booked a flight & hotel package. I made the mistake of not looking at my booked itinerary until a couple days later and quickly realized that my return flight time was wrong. I contacted Expedia immediately. I explained that my return flight was suppose to be an afternoon flight, but my itinerary had a midnight flight. They submitted an investigation and I was given a confirmation number and was told that I would be contacted by email within 3 days. I patiently waited for 11 days and finally called again. I was transferred several times and was told that the investigation still hadn't taken place, but that I would be placed on urgent priority and called within 24 hours. Three days later I finally received a phone call. I was told that they could see that I was trying to book the afternoon flight and that an error occurred and somehow when I booked the package the midnight flight was selected.

Expedia says they are not at fault. I asked for a copy of the report and was told that they cannot give me a copy of the report. I am certain that I would not have made such a stupid mistake. I am taking this trip to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. I purposely was selecting my flight schedule around her flight schedule on a different airline to a different location. I am positive that I selected the afternoon departure, and it's been verified that I did select such time. However, Expedia customer support is not helpful. They will not supply me with a copy of the report that says they are not to blame, and instead want $440 to change to the flight that I was originally booking. I have never been so angry over going on a vacation. I haven't taken a vacation like this in nearly 10 years and will never use Expedia as a search engine again in my life. I have always used Hotwire and will continue to do so in the future. This has been an absolutely awful experience!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Booked a prepaid car rental in San Diego. First the website listed rental car that was available in airport. Husband is disabled so I chose that vendor. Upon picking up car... NOT in airport by the way. The vendor required debit charge of double the paid rental. This would be returned upon bringing car back. NOT mentioned in large print. Vendor agreed to cancel my rental but then I had to get $ back from Expedia. Spent over 4 hours to date on phone and still do not have my money. Amazing how many staff started with, "Here is what I found out..." And proceded to lie!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Customers can receive a full refund within 24 hours of booking a flight on the Internet. However, when the website is experiencing technical difficulties, the customer is faced with an opportunity cost to take advantage of this. Expedia's upper management denied any technical difficulties with the website even when the employees at the call center verified that there were indeed technical difficulties. A full refund was given manually even though the refund system does not take into account website crashes. Instead, the management blamed the customer and said that the technical difficulties were on the other end (the customer's). Even if that were true, the dispute would be between the Internet service provider and Expedia, not between Expedia and the customer. The money was refunded because I was in the right and I phoned Expedia three times.

During the first couple of calls, the employees at the call center stated that the refund could not be processed immediately due to system updates, but I would receive the refund eventually. When I reached upper management, I received the refund but received a different narrative. Upper management denied any technical difficulties, passed the risk onto the customer despite the company promising 24 hour free cancellations, and stated that this sort of refund would only happen once and never again. Technically, I was in the right, and when I asked what should the customer do the next time the website crashes, I received this non-answer. There should be a disclaimer somewhere stating that Expedia is not responsible for any website crashes. The customer should be fully notified before booking that a 24 hour free cancellation is not guaranteed.

Expedia failed to do this and only told the customer at the last minute over the phone after two failed attempts by customer service to solve the problem. Instead of fixing the problem or describing a solution, upper management at Expedia simply stated that manual refunds would not be granted again. This experience discourages me from booking with Expedia again. It was an inexpensive plane ticket this time. If someone were to book an expensive plane ticket and experienced a site crash, they would not necessarily be reimbursed. It is simply too risky and Expedia seems to be passing the risk onto the customer. The refund was treated as an exception to the rule and not a usual business practice with website crashes taken into account for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Do not book any flights with Expedia. Any time you need to reach a customer service representative you will be helped by someone who has no knowledge on any information regarding cancellation policies or answers to simple questions. They also keep changing their answers. One operator told me my fee will be waived and then another operator said no. They also claim to provide full refund if you purchase an insurance. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. They will not provide a full refund. They will turn it into credit and then charge you a $200 fee to reinstate the ticket.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Coerced into overpriced travel protection insurance. Woke with fever and flu and tried to cancel but was told I could not because the airline shows a flight change. I contacted the airline and there was no change. Switched to a supervisor but after holding 25 min I called in again and was told I had to be switched to flight change department. I will NOT use Expedia again. Also, Expedia receipt did not list airline confirmation code that was necessary for check in etc.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I booked hotel with breakfast, paid, got the confirmation and suddenly the breakfast included was nowhere to find?? I immediately sent an email, to Expedia but no response. We arrived at the hotel. There was no breakfast included! The hotel The Savoy Tel-Aviv, Sea Side, Tel Aviv felt my this disappointment and still gave us complimentary breakfast. Super service, good hotel, highly recommended.

Expedia does not do anything to help me solving their malpractices, they deny they made a mistake, cannot read my print screen with proof, they says, so I had to pay a lot more extra if I also had to pay for breakfast in the hotel! Malpractice, blacklisted, I never book through Expedia again, though via Booking.com. I booked after this bad experience with Booking.com for another trip an hotel and the service is super! Immediately customer service by phone after a lack of clarity on my part, a friendly lady was talking to me and immediately called the hotel to get information. I was extremely surprised by this nice action. And I received a confirmation by email right after. Booking.com knows how to deal with customers!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I was in recently meeting up with a group already staying at this hotel and although my friends offered me to bunk with another friend I thought I book my own room. I was in the hotel parking lot and went to Expedia app site and booked my one night stay that night. When I got the confirmation it was for the wrong date. I went into the hotel and checked with the hotel clerk and sure enough it was for two weeks from that day. She said I had to cancel thru Expedia so I called and they said that the hotel charges a CANCELLATION FEE of the full amount of the room charge.

I insisted that I get refunded since this was not my error so she put me on hold to call the hotel to see if they would approve a refund, she came back on 10 min later and said, "No luck. Sorry. They won’t refund." When I informed her that standing in the hotel lobby right now and the phone never rang!!! She kept asking my permission to cancel with fee. I could not believe this! WHAT A SCAM!! The hotel clerk asked to speak with Expedia and insisted that she credit my cancellation and they did. I won’t be using Expedia. Then told me that the hotel doesn’t get that money. PEOPLE PLEASE BE VERY CAUTIOUS AND DON’T ALLOW EXPEDIA TO SCAM YOU!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My family & I were booking hotel rooms for the memorial service of my father. The family member that booked first did not pay attention to the fact that there were no pets allowed, it was only a 2.5 star hotel and there was no pool for those of us that have kids. When booking it on Expedia, it clearly stated that we had up until Feb 15th to cancel the reservation. I should have been wary when charged the full amount for it because suddenly when we decide to cancel, I'm told that it is non-refundable.

I called Expedia and they said the hotel refused to waive the fee. I called the hotel and was told that the waiver had to come from Expedia. I have been a long time customer of Expedia but I will never use them again. In a time of loss and grieving, they completely took advantage and then did not have the decency to assist us. When I threatened to file a complaint they said that they convinced the hotel to agree to refund ONE night of the reservation. The hotel told me that they had not received any payment for this reservation yet, that it would be completely up to Expedia.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I booked a flight through Expedia and needed to change it on a short notice. It was impossible to get a live person on the phone within a reasonable hold time on their automated system and the online function did not work. I was unable to make a change by talking directly to the airline, they said it had to go through the booking company (Expedia). Since this was not possible, I ended up having to purchase a new ticket at a high cost, rather than pay the (much lower) fee for changing a non-refundable flight. The airline agreed to refund the taxes, but again this had to be done through Expedia. Now, >3 months later I still have not received the refund.

I have spent many hours on the phone with Expedia, mostly on hold. Don't believe their automated message "due to high volume of callers, the hold time is longer than usual." If they think they can sell you a new flight, they will answer the phone fairly quickly. After talking to one of their agents, (usually a foreigner, sometimes hard to understand) I have received several emails assuring me that the refund was processed (expected to take 8 weeks!) This turned out not to be true. I'm still waiting... I found my experience dealing with them very frustrating. The regular staff is not competent, the supervisors are slightly better but the word "customer service" seems unknown to them. I will not book anything through them again.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I am very disappointed with Expedia's customer service. And here is why: On January 3, 2018 I made reservations for the DIT Majestic Hotel in Bulgaria. I entered wrong dates for reservation and realized it 3 minutes after I made reservations. So I called Expedia right away. Today is January 13 and I have been calling Expedia every day, I have being bounced around from one person to another, who keep promising to resolve my issue in 24 hours, but no results. I am sick and tired of spending 1 or more hours on the phone every day without any results. I have never expected such service from such well known agency. CAN I GET ANY HELP HERE?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I have been bounced around from person after person throughout the global call center world. I have spoken to dozens of people to try and utilize a voucher to no avail. I will never use Expedia again. I hope no one ever goes through this nightmare and wastes their money on a useless booking site like Expedia.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I recently booked a round trip shuttle to pick me up from the airport and a return from my hotel while visiting Paris France before I left the United States. $19 dollars each way which was a great deal. I did not book this online, it was booked by a travel advisor from Expedia over the phone. My pickup from the airport went without a problem. I called the merchant January 2, 2018. Upon my arrival in Paris, within 10 minutes a van arrived and took me to my hotel.

My return to the airport however was a nightmare. I called the merchant to confirm my pickup at 3 a.m on January 9, 2018 as my flight, #45 American Airlines, was to depart Paris France at 9:45 a.m. The merchant claimed that my *pickup time was at 6 p.m and refused to accommodate me any further. I called Expedia frantic and was redirected to a supervisor at my request. Initially I was advised that it was my fault because policy required me to call at least 24 hours in advance to arrange a pickup.

When I informed the Supervisor it seemed rather odd that there was a pickup time already appointed and I did not make arrangements 24 hours in advance upon my arrival, he agreed to look into the matter and ask the merchant if a refund were possible. The Supervisor claimed he called the merchant a number of times but there was no answer. Ultimately, in order not to miss the flight had the hotel receptionist call a taxi at a cost of 54 Euros, equivalent to $64.41 US dollars.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Expedia cannot defend itself nor point fingers at some other merchant on this one! I had my credit card cancelled when receiving notification from my CC company of a transaction at a hotel I did not authorize. A day later Expedia sent me a request to review the hotel the THIEF stayed at. No thief is going to gain access to a credit card and book through Expedia! BUSTED! P.S. I have yet to receive any response to emails I have sent to the Security Dept. or Customer Service at Expedia. BEWARE! Do NOT store your cc numbers on your Expedia Accounts. Better yet, in view of the lack of concern they seem to have with their "so-called-highest-digital-security" that they express in their FAQ to customers, do even use Expedia for your travel arrangements. They are NOT a secure site!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I called Expedia to simply try and delay my flight and was left on the phone for 40 minutes, it was an international call from Dubai to the United States. After 40 minutes I did not receive what I wanted and the line cut. I was told by the customer service operator that if the line cut I would get a callback and I did not. I called again and this time the phone call was ONE HOUR and TWO MINUTES just to simply delay a flight for 2 days. I am going to pay an insanely large amount of money on my phone bill because of the extremely poor quality of service you are offering your customers. I would have done it online as on any other website if it were easy to do in the first place. On top of that I sent you a complaint just after this incident which was about 5 days ago and I still did not receive any sort of reply or attention from you. I am not using Expedia ever again.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

On flight to Oakland via Mexico City and Los Angeles. Mexico to LA flight delayed which gave less than 1 hour to go through customs in LA with luggage. We ran and hurried to get through customs and we ended exhausted at our gate in LAX only to find the flight to Oakland was delayed 3 hours! No contact text or email from Expedia. Will not use them again!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018
    We booked a 3 day reservation at the MIA Reef hotel in Isla Mujeres for New Year's. It was extraordinarily POOR, and far from what was represented. Rather than a 5 star service and venue, it reflects a 2 or 3 star hotel, at best. Basic issues with booking, as follows: wrong room - deluxe ocean view bungalow purchased at 500/night, Received a room overlooking the back of the house and bridge and piled wood. They offered to move to the correct room next day but I would still have to check out at 12 and wait until 4 to move in, the whole day lost in transfer WiFi only available in the reception area and partially in restaurant, NOWHERE else!

Personal info is not safe. When I asked for a map of the island, I was given a poorly printed map on a recycled piece of paper containing another guests credit card info and other personal info on the other side! When I brought it to the hotels receptionist, they said, "Oh it would be safe..."

Food - fatty and sugary - no vegan options and they always had limited supply of papayas in the morning. Bikes - old helmets, broken, no straps...only the third one was not missing straps or was not broken; inflexible in time - open only at 10 am. Beach - very shallow, only knee deep, forcing one to walk 500 metres to a place to swim. Light on the side of the bed was not working in the room. Room charged at 500 USD per night, neighbour paid 100 USD. I was scammed.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Booked a vacation through Expedia for a 1 week trip to Hawaii including roundtrip airfare, car rental, and "trip insurance ". After booking, I noticed an error in the return date (defaulted to a month past when we planned on returning). Spent 55 minutes on the phone with customer service which consisted of her asking me the same questions over and over, with long pauses on hold in between.

Transferred finally to "airline service " who basically did the same thing, then finally charged me HUNDREDS of dollars to supposedly fix the return date. (Apparently my insurance doesn't cover the cost unless there is a medical emergency). Then, tried to upsell me on my car rental saying since they had to change my flight itinerary, my car rental has changed. Ended up quoting me a price of $1200 for the car rental. Another 25 min spent taking my credit card info and putting me on yet another long hold. Then telling me in the 25 minutes time it took to book the car rental, the "varietal cost" of the company had gone up an extra $113. I was already furious as to how long the process was taking (almost 3 hours) and just wanted this pain-in-the-ass call to end, so I agreed.

Customer service finally gave me a confirmation number and assured me all the info from my plan change will be emailed to me. After I hung up, I waited another 2 hours for any emails, but none came. I did check my credit card, and THOUSANDS had been taken out from Expedia (not including the original cost of my vacation confirmation).

I called customer service back AGAIN. And told them the situation and just wanted written confirmation that my flight and car rental plans were correct and confirmed. At this point they had no information on any changes nor able to look up my confirmation number I was verbally given. Another 20 minutes on hold before they told me my confirmation "was never officially confirmed " because the already-jacked-up price for the car rental had went up even higher!

I told the agent I just want to cancel the car rental through them altogether since they have been screwing me around on this for too long, and I'm tired of it. She told me would cancel and refund my money and I again demanded a written confirmation of this (still not received). Meanwhile, I contacted the car rental place directly and ended up paying almost $300 less than Expedia tried to get me to pay... AND I was able to get a email confirmation from the car rental place. I will NEVER book through Expedia again. They are a rip-off and should be sued for overcharging and misleading people!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I have been using Expedia since 5 years and every time they are getting worse with the services they offer than the year before. I used it because I thought it’s easier to book traveling (tickets, hotel, cars) because those online companies took over the travel agents who cared a lot about the satisfaction of their customers and they always followed the customers wherever they are, I mean they made themselves available before, during, and after traveling to their customers.

Where in the case of Expedia for example, 1- You can’t contact anyone if someone goes wrong with the reservation. One time I made reservation to Cancun through Mexico City. The plane was delayed coming from the US. We missed our connecting flight to Cancun, so we call them an international call that I had to pay myself to be transferred from one employee to another wasting money on a phone call and my time, to get to nothing at the end they wouldn’t take the responsibility and this is one example.

2- Now I am in Istanbul. I booked through them a hotel for 2 people and then when I arrived the hotel refused to let the second person in till I paid some extra money. I tried to contact with Expedia but it was useless because all they have an automated email that they send to everyone, the bottom line I discovered that I could have gotten the hotel cheaper if I directly contacted the hotel and also I would have had a cheaper ticket, they trick you through their wording by saying use a bundle deal to get a better rate, it’s a total scam. 3- Their point rewarding system is a total scam. Yearly I buy tickets and hotels minimum a total of $ 7000 and you know what they give me in return $ 9 to deduct from a hotel reservation. I will never use this company again. It’s the best scam in the business of traveling.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I would not wish upon my worst enemy to have to deal with Expedia customer service. I had a flight cancel due to weather, and was on hold off and on for over 6 hours only to come up with 'sorry there is nothing we can do'. I had even purchased their 'cancellation policy'. They did not know the policy and told me to refer to them. No refunds, no changes without additional fees etc. I'll reach out to the insurance company but who knows. Do not expect for Expedia to do anything to accommodate. They are ignorant to just about everything and completely unhelpful. It seems this is the general consensus though.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I recently booked a hotel stay with Vista Inn and Suites through Expedia.com. When I arrived at the hotel, the lady at the desk did her best to check me in. The keys to the room didn't work so I was put in another room. The hotel conditions were below acceptable standards. Squalid. Had I known I wouldn't have booked or stayed. I have never felt so uncomfortable in my life that though I booked 4 nights, I was only able to bear 2 nights. I would like 2 nights refunded back. I was unbelievably uncomfortable and just being in the rooms made me feel ill. I moved rooms 3 times in the 2 nights that I was there. First 175, then 135 then 129. All 3 rooms were squalid. The photos on Expedia do not in any way represent the true condition of the decrepit condition of the rooms. Truly awful.

I checked out on the 3rd night because I couldn't sleep there any longer. In fact, I should have checked out the very 2nd day. I am very upset about having been offered such an awful place to stay and would have given anything to take that time back to go elsewhere better. When I spoke with Expedia customer service that evening of the 3rd, they said that they would call the hotel to request a refund on my behalf and then get back to me on the 4th about the result. I didn't receive any call at all. Their customer service is based in India and they put me on hold for over 10 minutes. There is no way I could ever deal with Expedia again over their unacceptable referral. The hotel was also under renovation and they never mentioned it anywhere in their advertising.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

We booked flights to Kauai, Hawaii for a family of 4 to travel from December 22nd through December 31, 2017. We spent just under $6000 with Expedia for this reservation. The reservations were made during the summer of 2017, well before our travel dates. We were informed on one occasion, September 24th, of a change in our itinerary. Two of our flights changed their departing and arriving times by less than 10 minutes. We made note of the changes. There were no issues with our flights to Hawaii.

Our itinerary for travel home included a flight on Island Air from Kauai, (Lihue Airport) to Honolulu and from Honolulu we were to travel American Airlines to Phoenix and then home to Chicago. The night before our scheduled flights home, we attempted to check in only to find out that Island Air went out of business in November of 2017 - one month prior. We discovered this after calling and trying to access the Island Air website ourselves. We immediately called Expedia and after 1.5 hours on the phone, had no resolution. Expedia claimed they notified us. We did not receive this notification. In fact, on Dec 19th (2 days prior to our travel), Expedia sent us a reminder of our itinerary where Island Air and a flight number was clearly listed as part of our travel plans.

We repeatedly offered to forward this documentation to Expedia as proof but they were not interested in receiving it. The phone call ended that evening (after 1.5 hours) promising they would figure out a plan but needed to talk to a supervisor and there were none on duty during the night shift. A call was promised to us first thing in the morning with resolution. The next morning, no call was received and it took two calls from us and 4 additional hours on the phone before a resolution was reached. Expedia recommended several options: 1 - Book another flight from Kauai to Honolulu with Hawaiian Air (another small airline) at our cost which after researching was minimum $500 above the $6,000 we already paid. 2 - Call Island Air to recover our money. We reminded them Island Air was out of business and would not be in a position to refund our money.

3 - Call American Airlines to recoup the extra $500 we would incur. We argued American Airlines would have no reason or desire to pay us for a flight not on their airline and of one of their former competitors. Never did Expedia take ownership, apologize or try to figure out a solution for the fact they booked us on an airline that went out of business and did not notify us in time to make alternate arrangements. By 11am the following morning, we were checked out of our accommodations, needed to return a rental car and were essentially stranded on an island. We elevated our situation up 3 or 4 levels before talking to someone who would attempt to work with us on a plan to get us off the island. It took over an hour of arguing and negotiating with the 4th level supervisor at Expedia before she would research alternate flights to get us home.

When a suitable flight was found, she expected us to pay the difference in the flight costs. After further negotiations, we ended up paying $150 for the change. During our travel home, we read reviews of several other dissatisfied customers with Expedia including one with the EXACT same situation as ours only three days prior. It's more proof Expedia knew of a problem with Island Air and did nothing to support the customers that had faith in them as the travel experts. Never will I book flights, hotels, cars or any type of reservation through Expedia again. Mistakes happen but owning up to them and making them right is what matters and Expedia did neither. Poor customer service and communication will be their downfall someday and I can only hope that it is someday soon to protect other families and customers.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Expedia is a disorganized misleading organization, that tells lies about their pricing. When they record their calls and tell you that the prices for the property you just booked at (By their own admission) has changed and that you would be refunded the difference, they try to make you go away by giving you a phony voucher not a refund, they have 'zero' price guarantee, and they are a complete scam. Myself and eight other associates will never use them again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I made a reservation thru Expedia with Alamo Car Rental at the airport in Nicaragua for 8 am. We arrived at the Alamo counter just a few minutes after 9 am and we're told that we were late and they gave our car away. It was high season and to find another vehicle cost me more than double my original price. Also, Alamo told us that we hadn't been charged anything but upon going over my info...I found that Expedia charge me 99$ for car insurance. Expedia cost me way more money than booking direct. After making phone calls, Expedia did credit me the 99$ back and offered me a 25$ coupon but the coupon is pointless as I will never book thru Expedia again or use Alamo Car Rental again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

We booked a 5-day vacation package to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico beginning 12/24/17, through Expedia. I made the arrangements & signed the deal on 10/24, 2 months earlier. The total was $3,700. I selected Spirit Airlines (stupidly, in hindsight) for a direct flight. I did see a message in small type that I selected a “low cost carrier” and therefore I may be liable for additional fees. However, I was not counting on $520 additional at the time of booking! When I checked-in online a few days prior to our flight I received the sticker-shock and almost fainted. There are 3 of us traveling, and so we each had to pay both checked and carry-on for 3 people (less the carry on for my son), and all of that came to $520.

Now, I have never purchased tickets thru Spirit, so I was unaware of these exorbitant fees. However, my beef is not with Spirit, jerks they might be, rather I am disgruntled with Expedia since they specialize in the travel industry and they knew there were 3 of us traveling and they should have sent us a more prominent alert (not in legalese small type) that we risk significant extra fees - far more than other airlines. If this were the 1990s and I went to a storefront travel agency and they failed to warn me (or said something like, “oh btw don’t forget possible extra baggage fees”) that I’d likely have to pay over $500 more I’d consider that malpractice. Anyway, I contacted Expedia by phone and direct text and the bottom line is “sorry”. I would have hoped they could meet me half-way or at least given me credits as a goodwill gesture. I’m very disappointed and learned not to use any of these on-line 3rd party travel agents. It’s a tough lesson-learned!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Please reconfirm with your customers the bed configuration before confirming the booking. How do you expect 3 person to sleep in a queen bed or in 2 separate single beds??? I am working in a hotel and I don't see any problems with Agoda or any other third party websites or travel agents but it's always Expedia who is the cause of most of the complaints in my workplace and I'm telling you, it is on a daily basis for Goodness' sake! Pls don't just think about the profit! Think of your customers!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I paid $500 for hotel reservation and then discovered the dates were wrong, I asked Expedia to fix the dates which both dates were for 1.5 months later in from the time of booking. First they wasted 2 hours of my time on the phone and then 3 days later they sent me an email saying we cannot cancel the reservation. I replied I did not ask for cancellation I just want to fix the dates. They replied well first we have to cancel it then book for new date. So that is how they scam and rob people.

A year ago I booked to travel to New York and I paid for cancellation insurance full amount, then something medical came up for my wife and I had to cancel the trip. Expedia insurance said you need to provide a doctor's note, so I did after a month they said we are not eligible for the refund and they provided some silly explanation. Then again, I paid for cancellation insurance and that is how treated that. Please stay away from these group if you don't want no headache and financial cost.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

We booked a $4,281.47 all-inclusive vacation to Antigua through Expedia from 2/9/16-2/16/16. We were informed by Expedia in the early hours of 2/9 that our flight out from JFK Airport later that day was cancelled due to a snowstorm. We were told that there would be no flights available to Antigua until February 13th-14th - more than halfway into our booked vacation. The Expedia agent explained that she would take care of everything. Her advice was to cancel the trip to Antigua and rebook, through Expedia, another $4,000 vacation to Cancun for February 12. Unfortunately, Expedia charged for both trips and would NOT REFUND the cost of the original trip on the basis that we canceled the trip. We are now out $4,281.47. We are open to receiving a credit for another vacation. Our letter to Expedia has been unanswered.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I am silver + member of Expedia and have booked many hotels using Expedia and I’ve got to know that they’ve been cheating me the whole time. This time I booked a hotel via Expedia and paid an amount of 85$ and I’ve asked my friend just to enquire as new customer how much the room was then we’ve got to know that room was only 64$ and next day I tried to book another room in same hotel and found the price as 104$. But upon checking with front desk they said that room rent is only 68$, I know Expedia should charge a fraction amount as service charge but almost 40$ is definitely not a service charge. I am not going to book via Expedia anymore, Priceline is way better than Expedia.

Expedia expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.expedia.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use