1.10/5

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4191 Expedia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I have never been treated so badly by a customer service department. Being conned out of hundreds of pounds. Am turning to Citizens Advice and my credit card company for assistance. Booked a holiday online with a total of £977 - they have taken £5998 from our credit card saying the price jumped up last minute. Economy flights and 3 nights in a 3* hotel in NYC would NEVER come to this much money. Repeated the process online again and again, always under £1000. Saying I now have to pay them a £200 cancellation fee or keep the holiday at £6000??!! Expedia have no regards for their customers whatsoever- disgusting.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I had bad experience with Expedia customer service. I had booked my ticket through Expedia. On my return journey I showed up at the airport and the airlines informed me that my flight is cancelled (Qatar Airways) because while coming in I was no show. Even though for flying in I had different airline. I was with customer service for 5 hours on the phone and in the end I have to buy new tickets ($3500). I have 2 small kids who have to wait at the airport for the whole night as I was on phone with the customer service (listening to their music for most part). I hope they have better customer service rep who could understand the situation and at least provide constant updates instead on putting me on hold for more than a hour without updating me. The amount of time and the stress I had to go through I will never ever book through Expedia again.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

The grounds were shabby, the neighborhood was bad, and the staff were surly. Review of Americas Best Value Inn-Schenectady/Albany West. Reviewed today: On 11/8/18 I booked an airfare and hotel through Expedia.com wherein I paid $210.18 for a hotel room at America’s Best Value Inn in Schenectady N.Y -- This reservation was for one person for 3 nights.

On 12/6/18 I paid an additional $50.79 to change my hotel reservation from a king bed to two double beds. However, as soon as I saw the hotel I realized I had made a mistake. The whole atmosphere was shabby, the neighborhood bordered on alarming, and the staff were surly. The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that the room itself was adequate—it looked clean, it was made up daily, and they left the heat on (maybe because local temps were between 10-19 degrees). That said, the parking lot and stairwells etc. were strewn with debris, there was black ice in the parking lot, and there was no in-room microwave or continental breakfast despite their online ads to the contrary that these were included. Indeed, I couldn’t even get coffee from their lobby’s coffee machine because it was “broke”.

This is probably my worst hotel experience ever and I recognize my own failure to check more carefully before booking it. I was even more regretful because I booked my sister into the same hotel (we were there to visit a relative) and am sure she was very disappointed. As previously noted, I booked the airfare and hotel via Expedia, but will not be...more. Date of stay: January 2019.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Booked Air travel through Expedia. Flight was with Frontier. Purchased Flight Cancellation plan through Expedia as the flight was originally noncancellable. My travel plans changed, so I attempted to cancel online through Expedia. Expedia said I needed to contact Frontier. Frontier said I needed to contact the agent, Expedia... Back and forth confusion only to end up losing the $192 total paid for the one way fair which included $19 for cancellation plan. Expedia was only willing to refund the $19 and Frontier charged $119 FEE for the cancellation - even though I was within the 24 hour time frame to cancel, the element of surprise is how Frontier says "they allow cancellation within 24 hours of flight but must be within 7 days of flight to not pay $119 cancellation penalty"...

Thing is, I booked the flight within 5 days of departure... Expedia's information is misleading and misguiding. Frontier is HORRIBLE. I will NEVER use EXPEDIA and Frontier again! By the way, Expedia offered a $50 coupon for future use and my final refund from Frontier ($54) is only a Frontier "credit" - Both of which can only be used with them. I told them to keep both coupon and credit as I will not use Neither of them again. FRONTIER IS HORRIBLE IN EVERY WAY AND EXPEDIA, SHAME ON YOU!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Due to Expedia's failure to specify payments options they processed our money under false pretenses. It cost us time and money. Rude customer service that would not try and help. We were only able to get $50 back but lost $100+ (which will take weeks). We have used Expedia for years, but we will never use this service ever again. My advice cut the middle man out and use main services. It was cheaper anyway.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

So, it's been one week since our trip was supposed to start. I booked a round trip for 3 from Saskatoon, SK to Palm Springs, CA including a car rental from Jan 9, 2019 to Jan 18, 2019 using Expedia. We flew to Calgary airport where we were surprisingly denied entry to the US. I spoke to WestJet management to rebook our flights to get back to Saskatoon where we learned that they were unable to help us due to the cheap flights that were purchased through Expedia.

As the 3 of us sat stranded in the Calgary airport, I called Expedia expecting help to rearrange our flights to get back home. The agent informed me that they could not help at all. When I asked to speak to a manager, I was told there was none available as it was 7 pm. If I wanted, a manager could call me back, but it could take up to 24 hours for a response back. I agreed, but she never went further with that request. She then saw that I had purchased travel insurance. She gave me the policy number and a phone number to call.

I immediately called that number and the agent there told me that the insurance did not cover our situation. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the policy and the fact that they would not help us get back home. She keep saying that if I did not like the policy, I had 10 days after booking our trip to cancel. I asked how I was supposed to know we would get refused entry when it has never been an issue in the past.

I am extremely disgusted with the lack of customer service by Expedia. This was the first time I've booked through them and it will definitely be the last. All I asked for was to get the car rental and flights we did not use reimbursed. It cost us almost $1000 out of our pocket to fly back home on top of the $2000 already spent with Expedia. I have heard nothing back from Expedia at all. They got my money and they don't care about their customers at all.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

A few friends and I planned to take the kids to Great Wolf Lodge. We planned a date and we all looked into booking. My friends booked through Booking.com and I booked through Expedia. My friend asked how much did I Pay, advised I paid $740.00, she said she paid $520.00 through Booking.com for the same exact booked. I called Expedia same day to cancel and book with Booking.com, the agent said I didn't need to do that as they have a price match guarantee program, advised me to take a screen shot of the rate and email it to them then they would reimburse the balance. LIARS.

They kept going back and forth with me a couple times, meanwhile I even forwarded them my friends reservation. They waited until 24 hours prior to the check-in and said they cannot honor because the hotel is no longer avail for price-match. Again, very misleading, false advertisement, this is the second time they have committed fraud and mislead people to book with them. I will put this all over social media and I warn anyone not to book with Expedia. They are overpriced and sneak in additional fees when other companies nor properties charge those. i.e. additional person in room, the hotel advised there was no additional charge for 3 people in a room. Up to 4 people can stay in the room without additional fees, wherein Expedia charged me $100.00 per night in additional body charge.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We recently booked a hotel near the Atlanta airport for a late night layover. Our party consisted of two adults and three children. We inputted the number of people in our party into the Expedia website and were offered a room that would accommodate all of us, which we purchased. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that the room only had two queen beds and that the hotel does not have, and has never had, any rollaway beds, mattresses, or other form of additional sleeping arrangement that would prevent three people from sleeping in one bed.

For years, we have made reservations for the five of us at other travel sites and directly with hotels, and EVERY other time there has been an additional bed that would comfortably accommodate that fifth person. As a result of what happened with this reservation, and in order for our group to have a comfortable sleep, we were forced to purchase a second room, which cost us an additional $150. We felt it was best to first lodge our complaint via Expedia's online customer service platform, which we did. We received no response for over one week, so we wrote again. Still no response.

Today, we decided to call Expedia to see why we received no response to our emails. They had no idea and said there was no record or evidence of our emails. I guess the email system doesn't work, or they couldn't care less about our situation. Long story short, the person on the other end said I just needed to read the fine print more carefully and that there was nothing they could do about our problem.

I responded by saying I didn't expect any particular result, other than them acknowledging that they shouldn't allow five people to book a room with two beds without a bold, explicit notice to customers that there is no way to accommodate a fifth person and that there would need to be three people in one bed. Once again, the person told me I needed to read the fine print (which doesn't say anything about this, by the way). I find Expedia's business practice is to conceal important information such as this, which other travel sites do not, and couldn't care less about issues that their customers endure. They are beyond reproach, so be warned.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Do not book through Expedia. Do not. Heed the warning. Do not think that it won’t matter because you won’t need customer service. You might. You never know. And when you need help you won’t find it. If you have TD travel points, find another way to use them, if you can. Booking a trip is easy. Have problems and need to cancel, you are royally pooched. I mean, a simple request to cancel our Cuba vacation has taken us as couple a combined 8 hours, just to cancel—we have not yet succeeded. We have succeeded only in hearing endlessly looped hold messages and cheesy hold music.

Here are the reasons why not to use Expedia: They don’t list the contact Email on their website, it looks like a glitch but I’m guessing it’s a deliberate glitch. Similarly, the phone menu options to select trip cancellation or trip modification do not work. You are forced to go through the booking option in the phone menu. The person answering will then ask for you to read your credit card number for security purposes, and can’t use, for whatever reason, your name, phone number, or address. Then you will be transferred to customer service, maybe.

I’ve been trying to reach customer service for more than (not exaggerating here) an hour. I’ve sent two Emails in 24 hours with no response. They say they can take up to 48 hours to respond to Email, but they can’t cancel through Email requests for security reasons. I’m just trying to cancel a trip and they are putting us through a massive time wasting maneuver. We are trying to cancel our trip to Cuba because my wife is pregnant since the time we booked and the risk of Zika doesn’t make it worth it. I’m not asking for a lot of compassion, I’m just looking for a reasonable ability to handle simple requests.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I booked a ticket using Expedia and cancelled immediately within 24 hours. I was eligible for FULL REFUND. Checking my bank statement, I see that they have charged everything in US dollars and the refund received is lesser than what was deducted from my account. Also, there was some hidden charges. I booked using Canadian Dollars and when I called customer care, they mentioned that I received a lesser rate because of the exchange rate. I asked Expedia it was not my fault when the amount was deducted in USD and they refused to give me a refund. I would suggest anyone planning to use Expedia. BEWARE. DO NOT BOOK THROUGH THIS PLATFORM. THEY CHARGE YOU UNNECESSARILY AND DO NOT PROVIDE A REFUND.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Expedia feeds their client tell wrong information. They say on their opening page the wrong price and the second page they charge more. Deceiving and false information is the worst way to advertise to the customers. The manager was rude, abrupt and careless. When asked his name wouldn’t give it out and was not helpful at all. Unlike their competitors iTravel2000 and Red Tag give the right price to begin with. They allure people by saying they’re getting discount when in actuality they lie until the time of payments. Terrible company...

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had booked airfare through Expedia, and had to make a change to the dates. I understand that there were change fees issued by the airline which were $400 per person. I had no problems paying that as I knew I had to pay to change the tickets as they were nonrefundable. The part that was the issue was that Expedia wanted to charge me an extra $250 per person for changing my tickets on top of what the airline wanted to charge me. I end up having to go directly through the airline to get it handled as even United Airlines was not sure why Expedia was charging me the extra $250 per person. Also I purchased travel insurance with them for $108.

I ended up finding the insurance through Costco travel for $38 to have double the coverage. And when I try canceling the insurance to Expedia because they said it been more than 15 days since I booked the policy they could not refund any of my $108. I let them know that I was glad they were able to make a little bit of money on me but that I would never do business with them again as very deceptive in the practices when it clearly said the insurance policy could be canceled for any reason.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I tried to book a flight with Expedia, the process for payment did not go thru; then we attempt to process again, it said use another card which is very unlikely because we had put enough monies to pay with all fees included. The next day I see my credit card account statement and see two processed payments to Expedia for $29.00... And the reason it would not go thru is because Expedia first charges the $29 tying up your card and not allowing it to go thru. These tickets are not cheap but they charged me twice for this $29.00 fee and then said the card was declined!!!

THEY ARE SCUM!!! They never sold me anything but when I spoke to the customer service rep he was so apologetic and said they only processed it and it would be returned in 5 to 10 business days!!! WOW!!! Now I cannot buy my flights and have to put more money in my card so I can make a real purchase NOT THIS FAKE PROCESSING BULL CRAP THEY GIVE YOU!!! TO MAKE THE TICKETS MORE EXPENSIVE.

**The funny thing is that the price for the flights changed from $390.00 to a higher price - to $430 then to $487 --- twice in less than 5 minutes as we got our information filled in the system and although we say these sudden changes we still needed to purchase so they gimmicked us again and again taking our monies for nothing. THESE PEOPLE ARE SCAMMERS!!! The prices won't stay and they are jacking them higher to see how far you are willing to go! THEY MUST BE STOPPED!!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I booked a flight with my family **. 24 hours before I cancelled 'cause needed to change the date. The message that pop up when you cancel a flight is, "YOUR ITINERARY WAS FULLY CANCELLED AND YOU WILL RECEIVE A FULLY REFUND." So I proceed to book my new flight as I was running out of time. Two days later as I didn't receive my refund, I called and they answer that by Expedia policy the customer needs to call directly the airline to make the cancellation 'cause is a low cost airline. So no refund from Spirit, and the only answer is that from $700 they will only credit $200, not a refund.

I understand that this is a misleading message from their page, and the message SHOULD say that I need to go contact the airline, instead of YOUR ITINERARY WAS FULLY CANCELLED. That let us without budget for me, my husband and my two boys, to enjoy plenty my vacations and of course would never ever recommend Expedia to any customer. They do not answer emails, and when you contact them the call last forever ringing. Finally when somebody answer nobody can say something credible. At this time, my records shows fully cancelled with the complete transaction but haven't receive my money back.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

The prepaid 3-star room was not available when I arrived at 10:30 pm. The line to check in at the hotel was so long, and only 1 desk person, that around 3 hours would be required to wait for my non-smoking room, which I had overheard was no longer available. Expedia refused to stand by the availability of my room on the date reserved. They further refused to refund the prepayment.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Booked tickets for Universal Studios for Jan 2019 and was double billed extra 300 dollars. Attempts to call Expedia was 45 minutes of being on hold and later informed by Carla that additional reservation that I did not make is not cancellable or refundable. I will never use Expedia again and encourage anyone considering using Expedia to beware.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I booked a flight through Expedia and also purchased the cancellation insurance through a third party company (Allianz). Due to unforeseen circumstances, I needed to cancel or change my flight. After speaking with Expedia multiple times as well as the insurance company and the airline I was not allowed to cancel or even change the flight. They showed zero compassion to my situation. As someone who works in the hotel industry, I was shocked at the lack of care I received. I will most definitely be sharing my experience with friends, family, coworkers, and guests and encouraging them to find an alternative site. And will never be using the site again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Expedia bad. Real bad. Problems with packaging. Had reservations for 7 days hotel and car rental. Something wrong with their system. Only booked ca reservation for 2 days and had to pay out of my pocket and they won’t refund me. STAY AWAY from Expedia.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I booked an apartment for my family of 6 in August 2018 for a stay in Cordoba, Spain December 2018. Everything was paid for and I received a confirmation from Expedia and a week before I even called and received a copy of the receipt. Upon arrival to the booked apartment, they had no reservation on their computer. I tried calling Expedia, waited on the phone for an hour and no one answered. I had to book a new hotel last minute for triple the price!!! And pay my phone bill, waste time of my vacation, sent an email, called 3 times after and still haven’t received my money back. I have been booking everything with Expedia for the last 5 years: rental cars, hotels and flights. This was my last!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I was booking a hotel for myself and two kids to Ellicottville New York. A beautiful ski resort. Upon booking my hotel with Expedia and clicking accept... my confirmation that came to me was incorrect and my dates were changed. Upon contacting customer Service immediately and contacting the hotel where I was going, Expedia would not cancel my reservation and make the correction.

After two hours on the phone and talking to many representatives they did nothing to rectify this matter. Expedia charged me a $20 cancellation fee. I called the hotel directly immediately the next morning. I told the hotel about my experience. They apologized up-and-down for the unprofessionalism of Expedia. I got the room that I expected at that time and for a much lower price! I feel that I was taken advantage of from Expedia and promised them that I would never do business with them again… I travel a lot and have many friends that do. I will never say a kind word about Expedia again!!! Expedia… You are dead to me!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I booked a day trip to Mt.Fuji from Tokyo via Expedia last week. I received the confirmation from Expedia which was immediate followed by an email from the tour operating company informing me that the tour was cancelled due to scheduled maintenance. I called Expedia to inquire this and received a reply from them saying there is no issue with the tour and it is on! I had to write and call the tour operator in Japan spend quite a long time on phone with them reconfirm that the tour is indeed cancelled and there is no confusion about the cancellation. I called Expedia and I was still given the answer that there is no issue with the tour. This morning I get an email saying my tour is cancelled with no explanation or even an apology from them. Absolutely disgusting, unprofessional and pathetic! Please book directly with tour operators and avoid.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

SeaGarden Beach Resort - All Inclusive. 3.5 out of 5.0. 8 Kent Avenue, Montego Bay, Saint James 1-800-318-4917. Price was: $979 Price is now: $895/person. With Air... Booked for 3 of my family members Jan 9th 2019 for an April 2019 trip... Price was $2685.75 total. Submitted all information with names for room and names for selected included flights that were PART of the bundle. Inputted credit card information. Received an alert after my credit card went through on their summary page stating "WE HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS. Price of your trip has changed from $2685.75 to $6570.75. Rates can change." $4,000.00 MORE!!! Called Rep at Expedia. She was a sweetheart and was pretty much in shock herself. She tried booking for me online and received same alert... Never again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

If there is less than 1 star that is what I would give! Expedia took our money to secure a hotel room in Miami (we booked a month ahead) 2 hours before we arrived in Miami we received a text from Expedia that our reservation was canceled with no explanation - so clearly they are taking money from unsuspecting travelers not booking hotel rooms and hoping they can get a better deal at a later time so they can keep the money they save by booking last minute - I will continue to write reviews and report this company for its underhanded and deceptive practices!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I had been booking through Expedia for extensive travel for 3 years now with the impression of continuously earning points through my email. I purchased over 125,000$ in travel and I was trying to find out how many points I had and they tell me zero. How is that possible. They say I wasn't properly enrolled. Clearly they see all of my itineraries, customer service was terrible and willing to do nothing and told me to take a hike. Never again will I use this company.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I recently stayed at El Emperador hotel in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for Christmas and New Year's. Expedia’s photos and amenities are false advertisement. The place is dirty. There were ANTS and MOLD EVERYWHERE. Upon arrival the bedding had large stains as well as the couch and chair. You could not even leave your toothbrush out due to the ants or anything out on the kitchenette. The stove did not work and the refrigerator was rusted. The jacuzzi did not work.

There was no beachfront access unless you paid the restaurant below for lounge chairs and umbrellas and you could only order from them. You were not even allowed to take bottled water down. The staff was very rude. The whole place was dirty and smelled of mold. There was no warm water at times so you had take COLD SHOWERS. The toilet broke, the sink fell apart and the shower head fell off. The place was so loud you could hear all the partying from the restaurant till 2 am. The cleaning was bad, they didn’t bother to change the sheets most times. Called Expedia and asked for a refund or credit to stay elsewhere. Expedia only gave a $200 credit. They should be held responsible for false advertising.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have been transferred 5 times and put on and off hold for nearly 3 hours tonight in 3 separate attempts to use a flight voucher after having to cancel a previously booked trip and rebook. The 400 bucks or so that the flight voucher is valued for is simply not worth the aggravation. I will chalk this one up to experience and never ever ever make a booking with Expedia again. I am currently waiting to be transferred to the management in the faint hope that I might get to resolve my growing frustrations but frankly I am holding out little hope. I think they do this on purpose so those of us who were foolish enough to make a booking with them will give up and they'll pocket the money we are out.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I had a room booking in Hyatt in Monterey California for December 2018. Our plans changed so cancelled booking in July 2018. However when I cancelled my booking that night somehow a duplicate booking was made for the same date at the same hotel??? I did not know this until my card was charged for 1 night by the Hyatt in Monterey. On 2nd January 2019 contacted the Hyatt to be told about this booking. Spoken to Expedia to be told about this other booking which I have not made. Both companies should give better services. Hyatt also refuse to give me a refund. I will never again use or check Expedia for any booking.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I booked a 10 day stay at the Honolulu Ritz Carlton with flights and car. I purchased trip health insurance and refundable flight tickets. I fell ill the night before the trip due to recurring horrific migraine headache. I am under constant doctor's care for this life long disease. I could not make it out of the bed to get to the flight. We cancelled the trip. I got a prompt refund from Alaska Airlines and Alamo car rental. However, the ** Ritz Carlton kept ALL the money I paid for a 10 day stay, about $8,000.

I was so sick I could not make it out of the house. I have all the necessary ** based pain killers, nausea medicine and migraine prevention medicine in my home. I sent Expedia pictures of my prescription bottles etc. They keep stonewalling me asking me for a doctor's letter. I cannot do that since I came down with this debilitating headache only several hours before the flight during the night. They are refusing to refund any of the $8,000 to me. A one night penalty would be appropriate, but stealing all 10 days money is plain criminal. AVOID EXPEDIA AT ALL COSTS. THEY WILL SCREW YOU IF THEY GET THE CHANCE.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I booked a car, and when I went to pick up the car they gave me something totally different, the cost was double. Expedia sold me an insurance and Thrifty said that that insurance did not work and I had to buy another. I had to wait around one hour and the car they gave me was dirty. I will never use Expedia again in my life.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Please avoid Pacific Cove Luau. I requested to move a reservation from one day to the next due to my baby not cooperating w/ me. It was a simple request. I had to ask multiple times because the booking was done through Expedia and their relationship w/ this vendor. Nowhere in the business partnership with Expedia and Pacific Cove Luau does it mention a rescheduling fee, not even the receipt. They failed to establish that in writing and wanted me to pay $30 per person just to update the reservation to the next day.

The per person cost is already $140 per person, and this isn’t even Las Vegas level performances. I kindly asked Expedia to continue Pacific Cove Luau in which they did more than 3 times and a manager wasn’t present for over a day with Pacific Cove Luau. If you want to avoid the hassle if you have young children and understand these things may happen please avoid them as it’s nearly impossible to work w them. They care more about their $$ them your family. This goes for Expedia as well.

Expedia expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs