2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.11/5

Expedia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: April 4, 2020

So, with CoViD-19 going on, everything has been shaky. We live in the States, and we booked a ticket for my parents to go abroad a few months ago (before the virus spread outside China). In any case, they left abroad and, now, we are where we are currently. They practice social distancing abroad, and we practice social distancing here in the States. In any case, they had 2 return tickets (previously booked) for the 6th of April. However, their flights were cancelled (purchased 2 different tickets to return via a stop in London, for my parents to see their friends - mind you, this was before the virus). In any case, with the flights cancelled, some airlines can be very noncooperative.

Anyway, today, I called Expedia and spoke to an agent named Zee. The case of these cancelled flights was difficult because they said "British Airways operated by Qatar Airlines," plus, my parents already flew to their destination (so the ticket was half used essentially). So, two airlines were involved. This was a big juggling session between the two airlines. In any case, Zee tried very hard and spent a few hours trying to get a refund for the cancelled ticket. Ultimately, she had to refer me to her supervisor, whose name is John. He was able to get my the refund to both flights, before which he calculated the refund and let me know in advance. I am very pleased with their customer service, and people like them will elevate the customer service of Expedia.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Expedia went above and beyond in taking care of a totally bad - failed situation for me. I booked a stay at a hotel that had a contract within another - RedDoorz Premium near Gaston Park Cagayan De Oro City. I was on vacation from the USA and I get there and the hotel no longer exists. Only the new hotel and the old sign above the building. After a couple calls expedia had me in another hotel close by with all above and beyond expenses paid. They even switched me one more time to an even better hotel after I found that one not up to my standards. They really took care of what could've been a very bad situation. Thank you so much...!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2020

I am not very computer savvy but it was very easy to establish my airline reservation. To be sure that everything was accomplished correctly I phoned Expedia and the customer service rep reviewed my reservation input line by line and confirmed my reservation. Asked the customer rep several questions concerning what I should do once I received my E ticket and he was very helpful. While we were still on the phone he said to check my email to see if I had any further questions. My customer service experience was one of a very few that I have dealt with in the past that I felt went above and beyond. I'm certain I will have no problems when I go to the airport because I will already be checked in 24 hours prior to flight time.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

After failing to reach Expedia by phone yesterday ("no one available" recording then disconnection)--then reading many terrible reviews of Expedia service related to coronavirus cancellations--my friend and I expected the worst when we called today. We had a Thailand trip booked through Expedia, transferring planes in Beijing. But today, the wondrous Michelle answered the phone, cancelled trip #1 and rebooked, taking time to ensure we had the best possible itinerary. We had spent enough time online searching yesterday to know we're really fortunate to have our new trip--a bit more expensive than the last, but we leave in three days so no surprise there, and no longer than the original one. The frustration of other Expedia reviewers sounds just awful: so here's my advice: ask for Michelle!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

After I couldn't get on my plane to the United Stated due to my ESTA delay, I tried calling the plane companies I was supposed to travel with, and they couldn't fix my problem. I called Expedia and receiving an amazing service from Ann. She was able to change my ticket to a completely new itinerary, all of this without fees. I'm still amazed that this could have happened, as when I called the flight companies directly they told me there would be up to 2000$ fees. Ann was able to change my flight ticket for no fees at all. Thank you Expedia for this customer experience, and thank you Ann for your amazing service.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Expedia overcharges for Economy Basic (British Airways) and Economy Light (Air France) fares! Warning! Always check the price listed on the airline booking site before booking with Expedia,or even better just book directly with the airline. You can also use Google flights to double check that expedia is not ripping you off. I was charged $200 by expedia for a ticket that I could purchase directly on Air France website by $125. This was a ticket from Paris to another European city. The same happened when I tried to book a British Airways flight, but this time I was alert, and bought the flight directly at ** with no hassles.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I Purchase purchase ticket May 2 due to COVID-19. They take booking. I pay. After two days messages, "Your flight canceled," I request refund. Still not. They told me may we request. I continue following. I call July. They said we request July first week. It take 8 weeks, so if you read this tell your family and friends. Never ever used Expedia.com. Cheating people same better they can begging road eat well ,,,, Now they said that airline close. You don’t knew my airline close. They take all people money. Cheating cheating people. Bad experience.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

07/31/20 I am now going into the third hour of my phone call with Expedia in an effort to get my two European flights and two domestic flights refunded. (All flights canceled due to COVID-19). This, after talking with an Expedia agent on 06/21/20 who promised a full refund on all flights. The agent today says the 06/21/20 call reference number that I was given is not valid; that I can get a voucher (which I do not want - I want a refund); and that they want to look for a recording of the 06/21/20 call to verify that one of their agents offered refunds!! Memo to self - NEVER BOOK THROUGH EXPEDIA AGAIN!!!

Original review: July 30, 2020

I booked a trip to Rio through Expedia and couldn't take the trip due to COVID-19. I called and called but got the runaround. When I finally got to speak with a representative from Expedia I was told that I would not be entitled to a refund. I live in New York City and around the time I booked my trip everything was canceled. I filed a complaint through my credit card company and received a full refund for the canceled flight but Expedia won't refund the hotel portion of my canceled trip. I will never use them again and hopefully, no one else will have to experience the hardships I've been through dealing with these crooks.

Original review: July 23, 2020

The flight was cancelled because of COVID, first they told us we cannot have any refund because they follow the company guidelines. But the company website is pretty clear: We can ask a 100% refund (the government helped the company to refund because of COVID). 3 different people talked to us, totally useless. Then they asked us to cancel, but the airlines already cancelled, they are wasting our time... pretending they are waiting an answer from the company... Now they told us we enjoyed a part of our flight... Seriously guys? We sent to them the official cancellation from the company! We didn't go anywhere! Incompetent? Dumb? Liars? Thiefs? I still hesitate what's the good word to use.

Expedia author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team