1.14/5

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4296 Expedia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 22, 2019

I hope this is helpful for everyone. Today I tried booking a bundle package through Expedia. After choosing the hotel, flights and car rental- I provided them with my personal information and credit card. I clicked on complete booking and I got an error message to give it a few minutes and try again. I waited a couple of minutes and clicked on complete booking once again. The screen completely freezes on me. After a while the screen comes back up on my personal information but the booking was not complete. I went and checked my bank account and I had pending charges from Expedia. I immediately contacted customer service and they were telling me it was something wrong with either my bank or card. I went to my bank and they told me that there is nothing wrong with my card.

Contacted customer service again and tried completing my booking via the phone instead of the website. I come to find out that the reason why that happened is because they apparently are having issues with Spirit Airlines, the one I choose for my flight. Also because online I chose to protect my flight and rental. He said if you do that then you cannot complete the booking. It made no sense what so ever to have that option on the website if you can’t have it. I went from choosing a non-stop flight to having one with a stop and through America Airlines. Yes, the prices are very affordable when you bundle the flight, hotel and car rental but I think they should pay attention to their website. Change the information that is incorrect.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I bought a ticket on Expedia for TD from Accra, Ghana To London, UK On TAP Air, About 2 months before flight I receive an email from Expedia about schedule change, I think whenever airline change schedule they are allow you to cancel the booking for free. Expedia send out an email to TAP about a refund but never get any response back from them even after 15 days.

Another problem. When I ask them to proceed with a refund they claim you would not get any because actual fare is only $60 and airline cancellation penalty is US$150, But I paid CAD$398 in total. I bought many tickets in life. I always get refund on the basis of full price minus penalty. Never ever get a refund on the basis of fare only, usually fare is less than taxes and fees. If this is the case no one ever get a refund back. I hope Expedia will look in to this matter soon.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: March 21, 2019

I recently booked a return flight from Vancouver Canada to Palm Springs. Because it was with Expedia, the flights turned out to be two one way tickets on different airlines with no seat selection because of the rate? The outbound was fine but my return is supposed to be tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m. on a non-stop flight to Vancouver.

I was checking on my flight on the internet and couldn't find any listing or reservation. I got a bit concerned and spent over two hours on the phone, with Expedia, Air Canada, customs service, consumer services and waiting on hold. The reason they couldn't find the reservation because the flight had been cancelled and they failed to inform me. Had I gone to the airport I would have not gotten a flight. Because I pursued it, the Air Canada agent re-booked me on another flight, United Airlines with a 3 1/2 hour stopover in San Francisco and then with AIR Canada home.

They moved me up a class so I was able to get seat selection! Wow! It is now less than 24 hours before my flight leaves and I have yet to be informed of my flight being cancelled. Almost a year ago, I had booked my daughter to come to Vancouver via Expedia. The same thing happened. There was a hurricane and they were trying to get people to as soon as possible before it hit. They cancelled the flight and re-booked it two days earlier! No one called my daughter or emailed her and she went to the airport only to find the flight had been cancelled and the re-booking left two days earlier.

They were most uncooperative in re-booking without charging us but still charged us to re-book. We said we weren't notified and they said there is nothing they could do about it. When I spoke to Air Canada they said they hear that complaint from people all the time. They just don't have their act together and there is no follow through. I will never use Expedia again.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I booked and paid for a hotel to attend a wedding that evening. We arrived at the hotel only to find that it was still under construction and NOT OPEN. We had to find and pay for another hotel causing us to miss the wedding. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Expedia. I have yet to be given a refund. Expedia has two different reasons. 1. The hotel is open which is a LIE and 2. No one answers the phone at the property. OF COURSE NO ONE ANSWERS. IT'S NOT OPEN. Expedia when can I have my refund?

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have been okay with Expedia with flights and hotels until recently when they start offerings these condos. Went to Mexico and one night a two bedroom on Expedia was a 1 bed studio. Luckily property was able to accommodate. Another one in Mexico. DID NOT EXIST at address. Expedia did eventually refund as no one could get a hold of the apartment management. Now they start advertising a low rate with a daily property fee. When you click reserve it doubles the nightly property fee and has an itemized variable amount of taxes. This is true on all condos I check in Seattle while looking right now. I must say this is probably not a mistake and more of manipulation of price.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: March 20, 2019

I booked a B&B from Expedia, it charged me even though I cancelled 1 week before arrival, which is ahead of free cancellation time. And Expedia didn't provide any help anyway. I won't book from them later on.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Twice I have booked through Expedia, both times terrible. First time the hotel had no hot water, the next time... pictures of the hotel on the website were just fake. Completely run down and so much illegal activity and surrounded by strip clubs. Never book through them.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Bought a plane ticket to visit my daughter for her naval basic training graduation. Saw that the tickets were non-refundable but was duped by the travel insurance promise of 100% refund posted on their site. Unfortunately my daughter broke her foot during basic, so the graduation was pushed 2 months back. Cancelled the flight days prior and filed a claim for a refund only to find out you have to have a medical emergency to get your money back. I am absolutely disgusted with the bait & switch false advertising. Expedia needs to have a class action lawsuit. Let me know where to sign up. They have gotten rich by stealing our money. Oh, one last dig, they definitely don't support the military nor their families. Buy your tickets and hotels elsewhere.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Expedia sold me tickets to the Blue Man Group in NYC. I received a confirmation and vouchers. The next day they cancelled my tickets and told me they were unavailable, which means they never had them to begin with. So, they are selling something they don't have and taking the money. Then they told me it would take 7 days to refund my credit card. So they sold something they don't have and are holding my money for 7 days. Sounds like fraud to me.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I selected my flights, reviewed all information and was entering my payment and then they changed the price with higher cost without approval. I went back to search and it still showed me the original cheap price. They won't change it when I called. I am not sure if someone had the same experience as mine?

Original review: March 19, 2019

Expedia advertised a heavily discounted rate on their site for a high end hotel. Then once I booked the room, they changed the price to be $150 more per night. Once I saw that on the confirmation, I immediately canceled the hotel stay within one minute. They refused to refund the money and also canceled the hotel stay effectively stealing my money with no recourse. I had to speak with 3 different supervisors overseas who did nothing and tried to tell me I had to wait 48-72 hours for them to investigate the situation. I will never do business with this company again and the new level of fraud is appalling - Class Action lawsuit on the way - would highly recommend shorting this stock.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have booked the Palm Beach Singer Island Resort and Spa 3 times. What I didn't know is that the 1st two times I booked I chose the Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island resort and spa. This time on Expedia I chose what I knew was the hotel I wanted, address and picture exact same. This times it was Palm Beach Singer Island luxury resort and spa. Big mistake, they are owned by different companies. I had an awful room, non-working phones, and TV. Every day they put the towels in the washing and left them there. I had to rewash and dry them daily. I called Expedia about the misleading hotel names. They did nothing. Last time I use Expedia...very disappointed.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I booked a night at the Extended Stay America San Diego, and checking into the hotel was a nightmare. I paid through Expedia and as I was checking the hotel asked for another payment, saying that the payment from Expedia to the hotel was declined. So I had to call Expedia and after 30 minutes they reassured me that I can check in without paying again. So I try checking in for a 2nd time and the same thing happened. They tried to charge me again, saying that Expedia only confirmed that I had a reservation and that's it. So the hotel staff was on the line with Expedia explaining my situation and they asked me to call Expedia again. This was suppose to be between Expedia and and the hotel but I was doing all the work.

The hotel gave me a different number so I can call Expedia directly. At first the hotel staff wrote the number wrong so after finding the correct number I called and they Expedia said I had to call customer service. They transferred me but I still had to be on hold. Best part was that the line dropped. I checked my phone and I had great service. Tried calling Expedia 5 other times with the 2 phone numbers but the calls were being dropped. After an hour of going nowhere I finally decided to just pay another night since it was the only way to check in. So I checked in for a 3rd time and the hotel staff finally said I can check in without paying again. This was a communication error between Expedia and the hotel and both had the worst representatives. Never booking with them again.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My experience with Expedia customer service has been appalling. After years using Expedia to book my trips, I have realized that Expedia does not care about clients (including gold customers like myself) and takes no responsibility and even makes no effort to understand and try to resolve clients issues during the trip. The agents are incompetent, do not provide clarity of rules and they would mislead you to make the booking happen providing inaccurate information for which Expedia takes no responsibility whatsoever. Purposely they will make you wait hours long on calls bouncing you from agent to agent who have been instructed to make it as hard as possible for the client so that the problem goes away by sheer desperation.

Agents lack competency and authority to make any decision. In my case, it took 7 days for an agent to come back with a resolution and after 7 days, he could not discuss any details with me because he did not have any of the details however I was denied access to the agent that had actually gone through my case. I will never use Expedia again but I want to make sure this is understood and it gets potentially resolved for other clients that may be treated as I have been.

Original review: March 18, 2019

We booked a hotel reservation at the Comfort Suites on Tower Road in Denver CO through Expedia. Upon entering the hotel - it was filthy. We made it to the room - hoping it would be better - but it was not. It had dried boogers on the wall, had not been vacuumed. The card they gave us was sticky, and there was dried "something" on the window seal... When we called Expedia - they stated there was nothing more they could do - since they had already paid the hotel and the hotel stated they would not refund our money. So, our family Spring Break getaway was not what it should have been. Do not use Expedia... It is not worth the money or experience.

Original review: March 17, 2019

My wife and I booked international airline tickets through Expedia in Oct 2018 for our trip in Apr 2019. In Feb 2019, we found out that I could no longer fly internationally due to health conditions. That's where the story begins... We call customer service to explain the situation to see if insurance would help cover a refund. We are told that insurance would not cover the health issue and the thousands we paid for the flights are non-refundable. We ask who is in possession of the money we paid and he mentions that Expedia owns the booking but since the trip is non-refundable, we cannot get a refund.

We then ask if the airline has a policy that allows refunds for medical conditions and he advises that if we provide my physician's note directly to Expedia, they will forward the note and pursue a possible refund. We ask if we can contact the airline directly and he advises that since this booking is owned fully through Expedia, we have to submit any claim directly through Expedia and all conversation will be directly through them and the airline. We agree to forward him the note assuming that a refund is a possibility. He advises that he is going to cancel the booking through Expedia and "release the funds" directly to the airline so that we can receive the refund since Expedia did not have the authority to do so.

As it turns out, the airline policy did not allow any refunds, only airline credit AFTER a "change fee" of $400 is deducted for changing the original flight. However, we have no way to use the credit because the airline only operates internationally and I cannot fly internationally. This made the credit absolutely worthless. Expedia essentially cancelled our booking with them WITHOUT reading the airline policies and/or calling the airline directly to confirm their policies in regards to medical concerns.

We called the airline but they have their hands tied. Nothing they could do. Getting frustrated, we call Expedia back the next day, but when we type in our original Expedia itinerary number to get an agent, we get an automated message that says "We see that your trip was cancelled. Your refund should be processed within 24 hours of when you made the cancellation." Confused, we go back and call Expedia and demand an explanation as to why they cancelled our original booking, and why the automated message says we will be receiving our refund within 24 hours.

We tell them we were mislead and the agent should never have cancelled the original booking in the first place. We also play them the recorded message (which they say they record all phone conversations, they don't). They tell us that they will "investigate" the issue and we will find out an answer in 72 hours if there was an agent error and if we are entitled to a refund

The next day, we receive a call saying that the investigation revealed that there was no agent error and we will not receive a refund. We demand to speak with a supervisor to get an explanation but he just ends up repeating the same things they've been saying over and over. We demand to speak with his supervisor, and he transfers a call to another guy which turns out was just another supervisor. We demand to speak with the top supervisor and they transfer us directly to corporate (FINALLY! ).

We explain the situation about how we felt the agent made an error and again, no luck. We then ask about why we receive a message saying our refund will be processed within 24 hours. She explains that nowhere in the case notes or calls is there any mention of such a message. Really?! That multiple Expedia agents intentionally did not include it in their notes. We play her the recording. Her response? "Oh..." She puts me on hold for another hour to call her legal department. We ended up getting a refund the next day.

The entire process took eight hours per day for three days straight. Their agents are incompetent, their supervisors and travel insurance meaningless, and practices extremely shady. We will never book with them again. If ever you do book with them, record any and all conversation you have with them and request correspondence in writing if possible.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Book Maria Bonita Hotel Ciudad Juárez Mex through Expedia. I never got an email confirmation either from Expedia or Hotel, a week before my trip I notice the dates were wrong through my Expedia account so I contacted them to change dates and mention them I never got an email confirmation from Expedia, I was told to wait 72 hours so they could contact Maria Bonita Hotel and ask for a refund to book the right dates. This was the only option since they were not change dates allowed. After 72 hours Expedia send me an email saying Maria Bonita Hotel charge me a 100% of the money $453.78 dls cause it was a no show, at the end Expedia and Hotel Maria Bonita charged their own commissions and I lost my money and my trip. Really bad experience!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I looked at Expedia to book a hotel in San Francisco. I booked a room at 1:00 PM on March 15th. At 2:00 PM, I noticed that I booked the wrong day, clearly my fault. I called customer service to see about changing the day to March 16th. Now, the price offered was $180 but with taxes and “parking” offered by the hotel for an additional price. It was about close to $280. I asked to change the date and was told that I would get my money back and get the correct date for the hotel. I was on hold for 15 minutes until the agent said that the hotel was not answering and someone would contact me within 2 hours. I let them know I needed the money back today so that I can book the correct day myself. He then informed me that he was waiting for approval and was not sure if I would get my money back.

I called the hotel myself and asked to speak to a manager. I was immediately put on the phone with the manager and he said that I would not be able to get a refund because it was through Expedia (which the agent should have known) and to tell them reinstate it, they would work something out with them. I called Expedia customer service, again, and said that I easily talked to someone and told them what they said. The woman called the hotel, then told me they said it would be more for a Saturday price. Understandable. She said $48 more so not bad. But, when I asked about the parking I paid for she said that this did not come with parking. She said that she looked it up and it would be an extra $150! When I paid the first time it was $35! She said this was the “hotel” pricing for it. I said no way and just did the room. I called the manager, he said no matter the day it’s only $35. This is not legal! Where did she get $150 from???

I ended up paying $367 and a hotel fee of $35 at the hotel. I checked the hotel's website later that night and the same room, day I purchased was only $260!!! And with parking $309!!! Taxes included and everything. Where did the extra hundred go??? To this scam of a company! I still have to pay for parking! This is so upsetting and I want everyone to know that they are better off looking for a hotel by themselves! Or at least use the service to find a cheap hotel and then book it through the hotel themselves!

Original review: March 15, 2019

My husband booked a flight with Expedia to go on a business trip out of the country. I had been diagnosed with ALS, which was devastating news for me and my family. This is a terminal illness that takes away all physical functions including respiratory which is the commonly cause of death. This disease is costly for meds, medical devices, feeding tube and care so my husband can work. He contacted Expedia six weeks before his trip. They said they would need prove that I was ill before they would refund the money.

We sent them all they requested and they keep giving us the run around for more medical information, or to call a different number... Here we are in March and they are still giving us the run around. Six months later, I can’t move my arms, my feet or legs. I need a power chair for comfort and mobility, along with an eye gaze to communicate. Insurance doesn’t cover everything. This $1200.00 they are withholding is an amount of money that will help with the huge cost it takes to care for an ALS patient and give me comfort as I got through this cruel disease to the end.

I’m only 53 with a lot ahead of me until this disease struck me down in months. Shame on you Expedia, a big company like this has no compassion for a human being who is going through cruel disease ALS and no chance of survival, it’s a matter of quality of life, comfort from this disease. I wish you greeding people could live one day in a life of an ALS patient, then maybe you would have a heart.

Original review: March 15, 2019

What a Nightmare - Expedia has really gone downhill and I regret using them for a trip to Indiana in May. Frontier canceled the flight on the 3rd day of our trip so I was told to call the airline to reschedule for another flight making it a 2 day trip. I paid Expedia for 3 nights at a hotel so I had to cancel the 3rd night. The first time I called Expedia she had to transfer me to the "Package Department", after being on hold for 5 minutes the Package lady answered and then hung up on me.

I called back and was transferred again after a 10 minute hold and that lady finally canceled my hotel for that 3rd night. I could barely understand everyone I talked to - maybe Expedia moved to Cuba? Their English was Horrible - Here is the Real kicker - United has 3 Direct flights from Indiana to Colorado but NONE of those flights showed up when I initially did my search in January. Of course now they are almost all Full and would cost twice as much. I should have done all of this through the airline and next time I will!!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was booked into a hotel in Shanghai at the end of a 2-week cruise before flying back to Toronto. Trip was to begin on Jan 3/19. Unfortunately I became ill over the holidays with the flu and my GP stated I was contagious and advised not to travel. I informed my travel adviser who immediately canceled the reservation some 14 days notice. Expedia in Cairo sent an email on Jan 5 stating as follows... ”Kindly note that the hotel requested that you send them a medical letter in order to approve refunding your reservation, otherwise it is nonrefundable.”

Expedia in another telephone conversation said I would have to go thru them, Expedia. I provided the requested documentation and it’s been nothing but lies and frustration. Ultimately the Expedia says the hotel will not refund and the hotel tells me they never received the medical letter. It would appear that Expedia has a very big problem if you read anything about their customer service online. I know I will do everything I can to avoid doing business with them in future. Further info... once I provided medical documentation, United Airlines, Princess Cruises and another hotel in Shanghai gave me full refunds despite no refund policies. Expedia needs to clean up their act.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I booked a car rental online with them. When I got the confirmation, it said I was to return the car at 1 pm and I had put in a later time. I called to get it changed and the lady said she tried but couldn't. Then she said the place was closed on Sundays, the day I was to bring it back. So she said she would cancel it and move it to another day. I told her ok only if there were no more charges. She came back and said it will cost an additional $25 for the change. I told her I should not have been able to click return on Sunday if the place was closed. I told her to cancel everything and I'd go somewhere else. She said it would take 7 days to get my money back even though it had not cleared my bank yet.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Expedia's lack to investigate the hotels they advertise on their site; along with poor record keeping caused me to make a 1000.00 dollar mistake. There were issues with miscommunication due to heavy Mexican accents and poor knowledge concerning the U.S. geography. Thus, this month I will not be able to buy my new home. Thanks Expedia!

Original review: March 12, 2019

False advertisement. I purchased tickets online and 2 days later I was charged a different amount. (More.) I spoke with 6 people. They all couldn’t speak English. The worse customer service. Nightmare. I called to complain. They said they forgot to charge a passenger, that’s why my bill was different, but that’s their mistake not mine.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Second experience (yes this makes me a slow learner) with Expedia site issues leading to an incorrect booking. Called IMMEDIATELY and they begin their system of holds and transfers lasting over an hour (I genuinely believe this to be an intentional attempt to weed out addressing anything) ending in being told they would have to "wait at least 24 hrs" to resolve. In the end they want to charge a cancellation fee (even though I paid for their "insurance"), and would have to create a whole new booking and separate charge to end up where I need to be (Obviously I didn't use them to rebook). Also days to receive my partial refund even though my request began 4 minutes after booking.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I thought I was booking an Alaska Air vacation. What I booked was Expedia. Had I known I was booking Expedia, I would have run. Expedia is horrible. Plans modified, and cannot change hotels without losing $2985 for 6 nights. Full amount. I have had issues with Expedia non customer service in the past, and would never knowingly book again. 1 more question to ask.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Booked cruise for two couples by phone. Agent told me I would get $50 voucher for excursion and $25 credit room. I booked cruise. When I got confirmation it didn’t show room credit. Never got room credit.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I used Expedia to purchased a United Airlines flight round trip from Newark to Tampa. The United Airlines confirmation code only gave me a return flight? My American Express shows round trip charge and my Expedia itinerary shows round trip however United does not have round trip. Agony - 60 minutes on the phone. United/Expedia united telling me I don't have a round trip and Expedia telling me I do. At the end of the day... going under manage reservation with United doesn't produce the same results as using the Expedia confirmation code - WTF. Painful experience. No real price break on Expedia. For now on just booking through United.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Have used Expedia for years and spent a tens of thousands of dollars. Have a so-called ‘Gold Status‘. Called to book a trip. After 1/2 hour on the phone was told I had to call a different number for Gold Members. Did so and spent an additional 40 minutes on the phone. Was told all I get with this Gold Status is extra points. No discounts, nothing additional. Sent a complaint message. Received a response asking for my phone number and telling me they’d have someone from the Gold Status department call. Received a call, spoke to someone who offered me a huge $50.00 credit for all the trouble I’ve had. Then I had to hold for 14 minutes as they couldn’t find anyone to take the call in the appropriate department.

Finally spoke to a supervisor who quoted me the EXACT SAME PRICE as my friend who has never used Expedia. Asked about VIP perks. Was told I can ask myself when I check in, he can’t do anything for me and couldn’t call the hotel to check. And to top it all off, I cannot use my credit on this particular trip. He then asked me to put all my concerns in an email for management to review. He was a SUPERVISOR! I said I refuse to waste more time on them. Over 2 hours on the phone, several messages. They don’t care! I spent approximately $12,000 on a European trip last year and I have a whopping 3.75 credit. Spent 10 minutes on the phone with Costco and got a cheaper price which includes a Costco gift card. The four trips I’m booking this year will be booked with Costco. Do yourself a favor, book elsewhere!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I’ve been using Expedia since 2001. In the last two years, 2018 & 2019 I have had two bookings that have gone wrong. In both situations, even though Expedia recognized that the modifications and extra charges are out of their control, it really bothers that they are not upfront, honest and transparent to the customer that they represent. They used to provide excellent service, you used to know what to expect, but nothing like that is true any longer. I am extremely dissatisfied with their customer service and transparency they used to have.

Expedia expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs