Expedia

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have booked for me and my girlfriend with Expedia.nl from Amsterdam to Cairo, flight and hotel, we have arrived Cairo at 2 AM, we went to Cairo City Center Hotel which we booked over it, we found it was closed since 35 days. We had to stay in a coffee shop, every 10 minutes have to pay money, for almost 27 hours we were in street. Thanks to Expedia.nl, we called for 60 international minutes. Our phone bill over 165 euros not all for Expedia, but we believe it is 90% of it, after they knew they tried to solve our problem and sent us to a kind of dirty hostel less 100 times than what we paid, I have took photos for the dirty stinky room with blood over blankets, used cigarettes all round room, garbage in the roll, no breakfast, no tv, no internet like we are in the desert. We have informed Expedia. They sent to me 2 emails containing 2 refunds one of them even not for me, for another client, I have photos for all what I report.

Result of that 1- We spent after 16hours flying and travelling, a night in street. 2- Too much stress. Almost 4 days of our vacation wasted. My girlfriend became sick till we are back. And me too. 3- Staying in a dirty stinky room in a degree of 47. 4- Because Expedia doesn't follow with its client they just take your money and can transfer to you cents of it. 5- The bill. I have photo for it from the hostel we were in. It shows how Expedia.nl fake its clients so well. 6- My phone bill only is over 165 euros. And I have photos for everything I mentioned even the bill Expedia have from the stinky hotel we were in it. And have informed them but they ignored us after they took our money.

I will never use Expedia again unless I am absolutely sure that the travel will not be canceled. After I requested my cancellation of a bundled package (flight and hotel), I was told that the returning flight and hotel cannot be refunded. While I was given a credit to use for future purchase for the flight, I was told that hotel cannot be refunded (i.e. the money was gone). Customer reps kept saying that they would ask hotels to refund and assured me there were successful cases. They even sent me a very deceptive email (was supposed to sent to the hotel requesting a standard request for policy change, but later on, a customer rep followed up with me, saying that it was supposed to emailed to hotel). In retrospect, it was a tactic to make customers believe that they were doing their best. My hotel fee was never refunded as written in the reservation disclaimer. I found this company dishonest and I'd like to stay away from these guys.

I am a former corporate travel agent I booked my airline tickets using the. CA domain as I am in Canada. I used my first name on my driver’s license for my ticket. I then went to get my passport and they would not renew my passport in my name on my driver’s license and health card and all my other ID. On my citizenship card is a different name and they are issuing my passport in that name. I call Expedia to do a name correction to my first name and I get a call center in Egypt. They would not help me. Now being in the industry I know this can be done. I don't give up. I call the airline who reassures me no problem. Tell them we documented the file. Call Expedia back and I am on the phone for 2 hours and they still cannot get this sorted. Stay far away. Customer service is HORRIBLE!!! I will never ever book Expedia again and will advise all I know to stay away from these people!!!

Booked reservations for American Airlines and somehow they switched me to a fly-by-night company called Southern Airways Express that was supposed to be a Memphis International Airport only to discover it was located somewhere else. Flight was delayed, then we were placed on small turbo sent to Harrison, Arkansas rather than Dallas that was scheduled causing longer delay. Pilot was discourteous and rude. Flight was dangerous due to inclement weather. Needless to say I needed wheelchair assistance and was forced to set on plane floor to exit. This is the worst part of my flight(s) on June 30, 2017. Never again will I use Expedia as I am tired of dealing with third world countries.

Keep away from these companies. I checked car rental on Expedia.ca for Panama Tocumen Airport and got price quote with full insurance. I had heard of problems and rip off at airport so I called Expedia customer service and had them confirm price they listed had me fully covered and unless I added any extras at pick up everything was in order. On arrival at airport I experienced the absolute worst car rental experience in my life. I was refused the car as they said the insurance was not theirs and was not valid and they tried to make me pay an additional $700 US dollars to get the vehicle. I refused and complained and asked to use the telephone to call Expedia and the car insurance I had previously purchased. This was refused and I was directed to a Spanish speaking public telephone at the outside of the airport terminal.

Needless to say it was not working and you had to borrow a cell phone to call the insurance company who were shocked at the price and asked to speak with Hertz. The Hertz employee refused to speak to them. I have complained both to Hertz and Expedia and to date nothing has been done. Expedia continually send the same email showing they have absolutely no understanding of the problem and Hertz say they asked the franchise owner to look into the situation but apparently he doesn't have to respond to head office and is just ignoring them. If any media want a start please contact me as I'd love to tell this story on live media. My next complaint will be to the competition bureau regarding false advertising and pricing as my contract with Expedia was false according to Hertz.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

When we booked Flight + Hotel + Rental car package for 3 of us from Toronto to Iceland, the hotel reservation page didn't show it's non-refundable rate. I've been using Expedia for a long time, so I know their system very well. Shockingly, we found out right away we were overcharged a significant amount per person by the package if compared to separate bookings. I was able to cancel the rental car. However, I was surprise to see the hotel was non-refundable. When I called Expedia customer line, I had to wait for more than 30 minutes with no issue being solved. Wow... What a good experience! At least I've learned some lesson. Of course it's the last time I dealt with EXPEDIA.

I spent 3 hours on the phone yesterday with Expedia. I found a price online that I tried to book and I kept getting an error message. I finally called Expedia. The customer service rep was on the phone with me for over an hour as she found the airline ticket and the hotel. I paid and she said I would get a confirmation email. She said the reason I couldn't book it online was because the flight went to one place and the hotel was in another city. I didn't book a package with another agent because I found this deal. After work I looked at my email but only got the confirmation for the flight. So I checked my Expedia account and there was no hotel.

I called Expedia again this time at 10:30pm and asked why I had not received my hotel confirmation. I spent another 50 minutes on the phone as the agent rebooked the hotel. He put me on hold as he waited for the confirmation from my card. When he got back on he said the hotel now only had one day. I bought a package and they didn't include the hotel and now they only had one day left. That's why he said I couldn't book online. The agent said that sometimes the site takes awhile to update. What? You guys know there is an issue and that you are selling packages for rooms that aren't open? Do the hotels know that they are doing this?

This is unethical and horrible business practices. Not only was I seeing a room displayed that wasn't available but so were the agents at different times in the day! I was told I would get a confirmation email and I call back and the room is no longer available and the second agent couldn't see that till my card wouldn't complete the purchase. This is disgusting.

The agent called the hotel and he said the hotel doesn't have any rooms. Now I have 3 plane tickets and no hotel room. I called the hotel and the rep at the hotel said they do have rooms just not the cheaper garden option. What? So Expedia engaged in dishonest business practices and cost me a family vacation and refuses to honor the price on the rooms that they do have open? We missed out on another package only to be mislead and lied to by Expedia. The right thing to do in this situation is for Expedia to honor the price they booked for me at this hotel. Expedia just posted and sold me a room that this hotel doesn't have but you refuse to do anything to make this right. I have contacted Hilton then to alert them of what they went on tonight.

For what has now been a 2 month debacle, I still have no resolution to stolen account credentials and points. Someone was able to call Expedia, change my name, my address, my email, and my password. Apparently now I live in China and have a name I cannot pronounce. I have never been to China, nor do I know anyone in China. They used my account to book hotels using my points. I realized something was wrong when I could no longer access my account so I called Expedia who verified the information I posted above, that my account had been changed. To then verify who I was, I answered a series of questions, and had to send in many of my last itineraries and receipts from previous trips. The conclusion was that YES my account was hacked. Now onto the more frustrating part...

After hours and hours on hold, transfer after transfer, after many disconnected calls, Expedia created a new account for me with a new email address and moved over the remaining points with the promise that they would retrieve/refund the fraudulently used points. The new account never received the refund of points and it lost my GOLD status with them. For those not familiar with the perks earned from Gold status, you get possible upgrades at hotels and more bonus points from booking if I remember correctly. That's the whole reason people stay loyal to a brand, for the perks.

I continue to call, and no one can or will do anything to help. I seem to have more and more dropped calls even after I received an email from their Tier 3 customer support which apparently is the highest level which told me to call and give them the reference number to fix my ongoing problem. That reference number has been no help, the Tier 3 representatives have offered no help, and I again today was disconnected after being told I would be transferred yet again. Every transfer results in having to re-explain the whole story and painfully long hold times to speak to someone whose first language is not English.

I have never had such a terrible experience with any customer service team in all my years of booking and traveling. Over 2 months of this nonsense and still no help from Expedia. Was a frequent customer of theirs for almost 10 years, probably due to the fact that I hadn't come across their customer service department. A very big disappointment. Had plans to use those points for a family vacation but now that almost half are gone, that's just not going to happen. I think it goes without saying, I would NOT recommend using Expedia, solely based upon their extremely poor customer service. If somehow they respond to this or rectify my account, I will happily update this post. Thanks.

My husband and I were taking a trip to Chicago and decided to book a hotel through Expedia.com, we found a good deal and were very excited about that. We arrived to the hotel later at night around 11 pm and the front desk man let us know that they actually don't have any rooms available and Expedia does this often... I was upset with the hotel for not calling and letting us know but I was also upset that I had to speak with a foreign man who couldn't transfer my booking to another hotel because he couldn't understand me. It was a very frustrating situation and Expedia needs to update their site for people to have accurate bookings. I had to book another hotel and pay more money out of pocket before my card had the refund on it again. I suggest using a different site or calling to verify that your room is actually available.

I am a frequent customer of Expedia.com, and have often appreciated their low prices and good service. But for the second time now on a trip, I have been required by the airline to check in again after the first leg of a trip. I have to claim my baggage, and check it again. If there is not much time between flights (as happened in the first case), this is very stressful, since it could result in missing a flight. This should not happen, since I bought the trips as a single ticket. I did complain to Expedia after the first incident, so now I am taking more drastic action by writing this negative review, in the hopes that it might have some effect. I guess Expedia figures they don't have to care much about their customers' experience, now that they have bought their main competitor, Orbitz.

Had reservation for week in Rome booked months back. Was notified a week before the trip that the room was no longer available. Without going into the entire (book long) story - spent over 5 hours on the phone over a day and half - worst - I mean WORST customer services I have every experienced. Finally got a room that was nothing like what we booked (summer in Rome is not easy). Sent email with the entire story and they told me I would have to call... after my 5 hours! You can't get an actual supervisor and they will not work to solve issues. I will NEVER use them again. Please be warned before you use them (they their customer service first).

I booked room for 2 bed but when I went to hotel it was told it's not available. I have to pay extra for same. Since at the time of booking I already paid Priceline more for 2 bed. I discuss this on chat with priceline but didn't get any answer. I need to pay to priceline for two bed and again in hotel?

I book a hotel from Vegas to Los Angeles. It was floated so I cancel my reservation. I called Expedia they said the hotel wouldn't cancelled. I called them, they said that wasn't true. They said they could refund my money but give me a $50 coupon. That never happen. Someone needs to look at the reviews from everyone. They are a rip off.

I would have given Expedia a "0" if it were possible! A one star rating is too kind. We booked a hotel in Merced California through Expedia. We needed to cancel. Sure, we could cancel but will not receive one (1) red Penny refund. You can get a full refund only if you book directly through the hotel. Expedia keeps the full prepaid amount, no matter what. We lost it all. Be careful folks. Do not go through Expedia. If you have to cancel and think you will get a full refund from Expedia, dream on. Not going to happen. Bad news, bad policy, bad deal through in and through out for canceling. Now that I think about it, It might just be worth it to lose that money to be able to give Expedia this lousy rating that they deserve. Booking directly through your hotel is, and has always been the best way to go. Lesson learned.

I did 9 cruise bookings through them, I booked for me and my entire family. I was promised on-board credit but when I was checking in online I realized there was no credit, with the exception of one booking. I called them and they stated that they never promised any credit. They were extremely rude, refused to provide me a number where I could contact someone, and pretty much disregarded my concern. I spoke to Bridgette and she flat out told me she was the only person that I could talk to and that her supervisor "did not talk to customers".

I should have read the reviews before I booked through them, PLEASE DO NOT USE EXPEDIA! I will be putting this on all my social media. I have never complained but one thing I hate is for people to lie to me. I read in one of the comments that they are eager to tell you anything when they are selling you something they will tell you anything you want to hear. Again, I caution you to use EXPEDIA, THEY LIE AND CHEAT, YOUR VACATION WILL BE A NIGHTMARE! PLEASE READ THE REVIEWS BEFORE YOU BOOK THROUGH THEM, DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE.

A miserable experience for which we paid top dollar. AC not functioning well in 90 degree weather, room old and tired, staff sullen, often rude, money stolen from room (police report filed). Contacted Expedia, asking for partial refund. They checked in with the hotel (The Park City Grand Plaza Kensington) who said they never knew about any of this which is not true (police came to hotel and interviewed staff, manager offered us free breakfast to make up for conditions, a room fan was provided since the AC didn't work). So no refund or apology of any kind. To add fuel to the fire, they would not allow me to place a review of the hotel on their website. We will never use Expedia again and urge anyone to think twice about their offerings and customer service.

I booked a Sheraton hotel in a incorrect city by mistake. Called immediately after doing so and Expedia customer support created a case for me and let me know they would be contacting the hotel to request a change. After four days of emails from Expedia saying they were unable to get through to the hotel, I googled the number for the hotel and got through in 5 mins. A very helpful representative noted that it would be no problem to switch to a different Sheraton location in Edmonton, but as the trip was booked through Expedia the call would have to come from them to do so.

I called Expedia customer support back and mentioned that I had gotten through immediately to the hotel and offered the phone number to do so as they had had so much trouble doing so. They then noted that they had a different number on file and called that one instead. They were able to get through and informed me that no refund of any kind would be possible. I asked the Expedia representative to call the number that I had called where it was no issue to change the booking but this is apparently "illegal" under their guidelines set out for their call centre representatives.

I have booked many times with Expedia in the past and have never made a mistake when booking so things have gone smoothly. For a company this size to provide such reluctance to assist customers astounds me, I will not be booking with them again based on this experience. Luckily the hotel booking was only for one night so I am not out too much money.

I needed to leave on the 10:55 pm from Las Vegas to Newark and attempted to go to the airport. But due heavy traffic and a fatality so I turned back to where I was staying and started calling to find out what I could do to leave the next day. I called Expedia and spent an hour getting the run around on how they could not help me then telling me to contact American Airlines who then said to call Expedia who then said I lost the value of the ticket and needed to rebuy a new ticket. Really? No help. No ability to just change the ticket and get home. I didn't have another $300 on a credit card or cash available to buy another ticket. Customer service was spoken by employees that had only been trained to speak the English language of the script that they are told to repeat a millions times. I will NEVER NEVER use this service again and will notify anyone including all on social media for no one to ever use this group EVER!!!

I booked a bundle deal which that included Air, Hotel, and Car rental for my daughter. All her info was used which included her age (under 25). At the time of booking her trip no one informed us of any FOR SURE additional charges. When she got to her destination Thrifty car rental charged her underage driving fees...EXTRA $150+. Then because of time she is returning the car we are charge for a week that added more $$$ to trip that we were not aware of. These are things Expedia is aware of. The 1st PROBLEM I have is Expedia rep points out. All this info is on their site and it's up to me to LOCATE and READ all such info. In other words it's not their problem if your travel experience results in extra charge that they could of told you about. OH WELL.

2nd - As I stated, we booked a bundle deal. Expedia is telling me I only paid for the flight and hotel and we would have to pay for car rental when we return it...EVEN THOUGH the car rental company said that's not true. Thrifty tells me the bundle deal included the price of car rental. We decided to cancel the car rental because of all the extra cost but Expedia refused to refund any money on the car rental stating our bundle didn't include car rental. Keep in mind the car rental company clearly saying Expedia is paying them for the rental from the bundle booking. After 3 collective hours and Thrifty finally getting involved we got some money back. If we didn't push back hard and had the car rental company get involved I don't think we would got anywhere with Expedia. I'M DONE with them.

I booked a hotel and somewhere in the booking process the website changed the date of my stay and I didn't notice it. I turned up at the hotel and they have a reservation for me for a MONTH from the day I need it. WHAT!!! I know how to use a computer but not happy with the date switch and trickery. I called Travelocity. They put me through to Expedia. It has be 48 minutes of waiting on hold and now another wait for them to call the hotel. REALLY??? I would NEVER book with Expedia or Travelocity ever again. CONSUMERS BEWARE!!!

I have used Expedia twice and lost nearly $3000 in the process in ($2000 in overpayments for hotel rooms and $900 in airline fees). First, we booked 6 months in advance for a hotel room in Honolulu and paid $4000. 3 months later we found Expedia advertising the same room and dates for $2000 LESS! They failed to honor the "low price guarantee" because we had also booked a $210 RENTAL CAR! 2 months of back and forth later, they didn't honor the guarantee. Then, soon after booking the Hawaii trip, we booked 2 tickets through Expedia to Boston, insured the trip, and paid in full. SOMEHOW, I ended up with 2 TRIPS booked and paid for to the same place on the same date and time!

We took the trip and then I discovered that there were two payments for the trip. I called to tell them there was some kind of mistake because we took the trip. I asked for the mystery trip money to be refunded. EXPEDIA used my trip insurance when we "NO SHOWED" for the trip (remember we actually took the trip on the booking I actually made and paid for) and then refused to refund the trip! I then went to United directly and after 3 MONTHS charged me $200 in fees and issued me vouchers worth $400. I had paid $800 for this mystery trip (that was somehow insured) and got only $400 in VOUCHERS BACK!

EXPEDIA IS A SCAM. DON'T EVER USE THEM. You are being penny wise and pound foolish. They have horrible customer service. They send you to the first round of representatives who can DO NOTHING TO REMEDY YOUR ISSUE. Then you hold for 45 minutes to talk to level 2 customer service who will also be unable to offer any remedy to your issue and then finally you get to a level of service at a corporate level where they will research and get back to you via email and they too will not remedy your issue.

I have a very bad experience with the insurance plan and the collision damage plan Expedia offered. I have a collision and I submit all the documentation regarding this event. Aon did not paid the total amount because the company does not cover administrative fees, storage fees, diminishment of values or towing expenses, as the company wrote to me. However, is important to point out that in the terms and conditions of the Collision Damage Plan I purchased, no info regarding the exclusion of these items had been done. Otherwise, the Collision Damage Plan stated, there is no deductible and that It covers the expenses your rental car company may charge in the event of damage or loss of the car. And Almost always less expensive than similar collision damage plans offered by rental car companies.

So, if administrative fees and diminishment of values are expenses the car rental companies usually charge in the event of damage, they should be included in the cover of the Collision Damage Plan. Otherwise, if the Insurance Company is not going to include these covers, an exclusions section (regarding theses expenses), should be included in the plan. But there was no reference to these exclusions, in the Plan I purchased. Such a procedure could be considered a misleading offer to the consumer, since it is not true that the policy covers the expenses usually charged by car rental companies. I want to advise the people about this relevant info, prior to take the insurance Expedia offers in its page.

I have tried to use them for a year… and numerous times there has been terrible service. Today I wanted to change a flight date. Knowing I would have to pay the airline penalty it took 3 hours and two supervisors to get this done. NO EXCUSE for such terrible service. They don't have better airline rates. And you need 3500 reward points to get $25.00 which can only be used on hotels. Why would anyone ever waste their time with a joke company. Be warned.

DO NOT USE EXPEDIA.COM. Booked a car rental for our trip to Costa Rica. Car rental $280, insurance $88. We booked a few months in advance. Got to Costa Rica and at the Enterprise car rental desk and they said the minimum for car insurance (3rd party only) was $300. I told them I purchased and showed Enterprise the receipt. Enterprise said they did not see the insurance payment in the system. We called Expedia and said they see I paid but don't see it in the system either. EXPEDIA apologized and said they would refund my $88 ASAP.

I think Enterprise rental car is scamming me or EXPEDIA.com. Bottom line when I booked my rental car on EXPEDIA.com/Enterprise it was $280 for the car rental and $88 for insurance total $366. When I got to the Enterprise rental desk the car was still $280 but now my mandatory insurance is $300 new bill $580. If you are budgeting your trip in advance and paying in advance don't use Expedia or Enterprise rental car. They are both scamming you for extra money and full of apologies. EXPEDIA and ENTERPRISE RENTAL CAR when you tell a consumer what they are paying and they pay your fees you need to stick to it not bait and switch the consumer. The word will get out.

We tried booking a flight using the Expedia app, because they encourage customers to use the app by giving double points. Every time I have tried to use the app it will not work and requires calling into Expedia. Our last experience. We had to call Reservations as usual, to complete the reservation. Then they told us we would not get our double points because we did not use the app which we had tried to do. The person assisting us in completing the reservation put in the wrong email address. This was not noticed until after the booking was complete. We brought this to their attention and he said he could not correct it. We talk to a supervisor who also said they could not correct it. We had to completely cancel the reservation and not receive our money back immediately having to wait three business days to process a refund. This type of experience seems to be more routine than not. I would strongly not recommend using Expedia to book anything.

Expedia proudly say they have a free Price Guarantee but BEWARE. My experience is as follows: saw a better price on another site, applied via iPad, received message saying application being processed followed by application accepted, awaited a reply for over 1 week, nothing. So contacted Expedia, within 2 days received reply. I was told that there was no record of application and since a 3 loyalty had been applied any application is void. So, application process is very suspect, application of a rule that if loyalty bonus is used no price Guarantee is possible is sneaky. I missed out on an 80 reduction because of these 2 reasons. Clearly the adage that nothing is for free squarely applies to Expedia.

Booked a hotel one hour from my house in Canada. Canadian URL. Canadian hotel. Received my credit card statement and was charged USD. No problem I guess that was my mistake to assume the Canadian booking through a Canadian URL would be charged in Canadian dollars just like Hotels.com does with me all the time. I Called Hotwire to cancel. I was reading my itinerary number on my screen shot of the email Hotwire sent me.

They could not find my itinerary number. The rep told me that the reservation was with Expedia. I suggested that was not the case as I was reading a Hotwire email. He transfers me to Expedia. He hangs up on me. I call back. The send lady could not find my reservation. I tell her what the first rep told me. She transfers me. We get cut off again. I google Expedia. Expedia tells me the booking is with Hotwire. I get transferred back. She miraculously finds my booking through the same itinerary number. Each time I spoke to the reps I had to repeat the itinerary number four times. Cancelled the reservation. Read the reviews a little late in the game. These guys are terrible.

We had made a reservation and paid ahead of time for a week in the Ferenciek tere Apartment in Budapest through Expedia.ca. Upon our arrival we found after almost a 2 hours waiting and trying to connect with the owner of the apartment that we were sent to a different location that we had booked and to a very different apartment that we had seen in photos. The building was in a dark alley, with big piles of garbage; an old building, very neglected and dark. We had to get out and were told by the owner that he would cancel and refund our reservation. Had a very difficult time getting settled in another hotel and had to pay a lot more than we were planning to do.

Contacted Expedia by email and got no reply. Tried again by phone and had no support or help in any way. When we arrived back to Canada phoned Expedia and after several hours of arguing they said they will not give us any money back because the owner of the apartment was not going to refund the money. But the manager admitted that they had a "red flag" on the apartments. Expedia has a terrible customer service and a very poor and arrogant attitude. I will not deal with them again and hope other people can be warned so they don't have their vacations ruined.

I reserved and paid for a hotel on Expedia and everything seemed ok. Upon arriving at the hotel I am told that I need a credit card with an additional 50 on it for a deposit fee. Not having the money I tell the front desk I will have to go get it and be back. However when I return I am told by him that he has canceled the reservation because it took me too long to return. I then call Expedia who tells me that it was a non refundable reservation so there is nothing they can do, even though I was not the one that canceled the reservation. So between Expedia and the hotel someone is getting to keep my 100. Meanwhile I am out the money without having a say in the cancellation and without money or a room. I get to stay on the street for the night.

Around the middle of June, I booked a flight plus hotel package on Expedia. Several hours later, I looked and the price (on Expedia) was $200 cheaper. I applied for a price match and it was rejected because it was submitted within 24 hours of the reservation (Case ID: **). If this is the kind of service you want, Expedia seems to be the place to go!

Compare Travel Sites