Expedia

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had purchased 3 tickets for my aunts and my mother to Mexico for vacation. When we went to check in for our flight I had no problem (I booked my flight separately as I wasn't going to be staying as long as they were), and handed over my bag. My aunts, no problem, they got on just fine. My mother, not so much. Her last name, due to marital status, changed. Her passport reads her married name, but her ticket read her previous name. We tried to reason with the attendants at the check-in counter that it was her and even showed her license with her 2 last names. They told us, since her name on the reservation didn't match the name on her passport, we would have to call Expedia to change the reservation. Ok, no problem, we called and were promised that they would work on this, expeditiously. NOT. The representative kept putting me on hold and promising that the name change was almost done.

We paid a hefty fee to get this done. When the name change was finally complete, it was 2 minutes after check in was closed!!! No kidding, 2 minutes! We tried to check in, unfortunately the attendants wouldn't let us check in, even though they were helping us with figuring out the name change. So, we missed our flight, my bag was checked and on its way to the underbelly of the plane, and my mom still had hers. So, I did the next best thing, get on the next flight. Yeah, right! The next flight was the following day, and it was full. Only thing available was the next following day. I try to book it at the counter, however I can't, because I need to go through Expedia, since they were the ones handling my travel plans. I get on the phone again and explain my situation, and get put on hold AGAIN! This is ridiculous, after 35 minutes I hang up and try again. I want to speak to a supervisor and get placed on the line with one within 10 minutes.

We agree to get me on another flight, for a fee (of course, right?). "Ok, let's book me and my mom too, with the correct last name." "Sure no problem. Let me just put you on hold." 30 mins...1 hour..."Thanks for your patience", yeah sure, uh-huh. "It'll be a few more moments, we're on the line with the airline to get you these tickets." Ok, no problem. Another hour passes, "Ma'am, we see that your mother's return flight was cancelled." "I'm sorry, what, why?" "Well ma'am, when she failed to check in, it was a no show." "She didn't forget to check in though, we were there, just waiting for her to get her name changed on her boarding pass!!!" "Ok, ma'am, we're on the line trying to fix this error. Please stay on the line for a bit." My call drops...(they try to reach me and leave a voice mail, of the hold music! 3 hours later! I'm at my wits end, I want to just cancel this bloody trip.

"I want all my money back, my fees you've (Expedia) been charging me along the way!" I'm about to cancel, when a very compassionate representative tries to help me out. Convincing me to keep my travel plans, she transfers me to her supervisor. I just want this phone nightmare to end. But hour 5 is creeping up on me and I'm still waiting. This is one of the worst experiences in my life! Now, I have to get my aunts to bring me my luggage back.

I had booked a flight and hotel and had to cancel due to unexpected circumstances. I called Expedia and after three customer service reps and two customer service supervisors and five hours later I still wasn't able to get anything resolved the first day I called. I contacted the airline direct to confirm what I was being told by Expedia and was given completely different information than what Expedia was telling me. Airline was willing to waive the cancellation fee, but Expedia said airline wasn't willing. I confirmed again with airline and they said decisions were up to Expedia as this was a non-published fare.

I had follow on call with Expedia. This time they said they would change the flight reservation but I had to make the change while on the phone per the airlines, then later while waiting for Expedia to come back to me after being put on hold again they said "ok airline will give you to end of the day to make a change." I again confirmed with airline if this was the case and was told this is an Expedia decision. On my second call with Customer Service Supervisor I was asked for my number and was told I would get a return call if disconnected. Well after over an hour and a half I was disconnected and never received a call back.

I called Expedia the next day at 11:15 am and the Customer Service Representative said they tried but they can't credit the full refund as they don't have authority. I asked who does have authority and they said the Customer Service Supervisor. I asked to again be transferred. This customer service supervisor they said they can't waive the cancellation fee due to policy. I was then told they would change the flight but it would be a change fee of $200. I was just told the day before that they would change the flight for a cost of $90.56. How do you get two different stories from Expedia within a day. They seem to try any tactic to keep you from cancelling or changing a flight.

I was then told they would transfer me to the Corporate office. I waited another 10 minutes and another Customer Service Supervisor came onto the phone. This time he told me that I didn't change the flight yesterday and I now wanted to cancel the flight after the time period given to change the flight had passed. I told him I was on the phone last night with a supervisor who was checking with airlines, got disconnected and never got a call back as I was told by the Supervisor and now this Supervisor is saying it is my fault that nothing got completed yesterday. I told him I thought I was being transferred to Corporate office, he then said "hold on. I'll transfer you to Corporate office."

I waited another 16 minutes and got transferred to Corporate Customer Service. Corporate Customer Service was now telling me that there would be a $200 cancellation fee for each ticket and I would be refunded $662.80. I told them yesterday I was told by a number of Customer Service representatives and Supervisors that the cost of the flight was $1,153.36 so why is it now different today and I'm being charged another $90.56 on top of the $400 cancellation fee. The Corporate Customer Service person said "it was because we don't reimburse taxes."

I said "so I paid for a flight including taxes and now I'm not being reimbursed for what I paid minus the cancellation." She said that is policy and then went on to say "you were told that you could change the flight but it had to be done by 11 pm last night which you didn't do that." I said I was told that I would be called back if disconnected and now it is my fault that I didn't call back again after spending over five hours on the phone waiting for Expedia to talk to me. She said "you could have called back prior to 11 pm." The Corporate person now again put me on hold and said they would call the airlines. Once again I waited on the phone for another 38 minutes. The corporate representative came back and said there is nothing they can do and I'd be charged the $200 cancellation fee per flight.

So in total on the 2nd day I spent another 2 hours without resolution. In total for 2 days I spent over 7 hours on the phone with Expedia (most of it on hold). Worst customer service organization I have ever dealt with. Expedia will tell you it isn't them and they can't do anything and blame everything on the airlines. However, it is Expedia's decision. Every time I called I complained about length of time I was on hold and was assured it wouldn't be as long this time. Every time I spent hours on hold. I would not use Expedia for airline reservations as it is impossible to get anything done after flight booked.

Last night I bought a flight to New York for 01/13/17. They charged in my credit card 3 times and never booked my flight. I called the customer services of Expedia. They said they will do the refund, so the credit will be available just for the next week and worse, the same flight now is the double of the price. Even the price drop down again (I doubt), I'll not be able to buy another flight, because I don't have credit available until the next week. I'm desperate to travel. I needed this travel. I needed get away for a few days. The company that I'm working don't pay any vacation day and finally I found a great price for flight in a long weekend (holiday), but Expedia take off my joy and give me sadness and frustration. I don't have words to really express my feelings right now. Thank you Expedia!

Yesterday, 1/10/2017, I booked hotel reservations for the Marriott Dadeland, Miami, FL. I thought that I was on the Marriott website, but was actually on a Reservation.com website, which apparently is Expedia. This in itself is deceiving, as Expedia makes their website almost exact to the hotel website. Expedia advertises low room rates if you pay for your reservation in advance, so I accepted that offer. After the charges came through on my credit card I called Reservation.com and asked for a breakdown of the $136.11 taxes and fees charge. The agent instructed me to call the Marriott directly for a breakdown of the taxes and fees, however the Marriott does not have access to Expedia invoices. I did receive tax rate information from the Marriott. Total taxes that should be charged for the 3-night room stay should be $94.39. There is a difference in taxes of $41.72.

I made several calls back to Expedia/Reservations.com and they are not able to provide a breakdown of the taxes and fees. I am being charged $242.12 for each night (advertised charge was $242.00), plus $136.11 in taxes and fees, plus $14.99 service charge - the total comes to $877.46. If I booked directly with the Marriott total charges would be $820.75. Expedia/Reservations.com advertises low room rates, but does not disclose the additional taxes and fees that they charge and do not provide a breakdown of those fees.

I looked on their website and there are multiple complaints similar to mine, and also from individuals that have endured a worse experience than mine. There are also several articles written on this particular SCAM - why are they allowed to continue to conduct sneaky business in this manner? I intend to dispute the additional charges with my credit card company for the additional taxes and fees until they disclose the actual charges. I also plan to write to their executive leadership and board of directors about my experience and to inform them of the filing of this complaint.

It has NEVER been a time that I have emailed Expedia or Expedia For TD outside North America while traveling, and got any help! I have always got a generic reply: "For any travel related questions of booking inquiries, please reach out to Expedia for TD at 1-877-222-6492." I cannot believe that NO Expedia agent knows the most simple thing: that 1-877 numbers only work within North America! The customer service AFTER booking with Expedia is revolting. There has not been a time that I had a question out of country, and someone has helped me with a real reply. The only reply that I get is a generic email that for the confidentiality reasons no reply could be provided and one needs to contact 1-877 number!

As an Iranian, I have been using the Expedia as the founder is an Iranian person. But, I am too disgusted now by the lack of support and help when I am outside North America: In numerous countries in South America, Asia, and Africa ONE CANNOT EVEN CALL THE COLLECT NUMBERS, let alone 1-877, OR 1-866 OR 1-800 numbers. The only means of communication in so many countries is Internet, believe it or not. Even in Everest base camp Internet is available. Even in the peaks of Bolivia Internet is available. But, one cannot call.

It is not possible to get any real reply and help when someone has a question about their hotel or flight outside the country. I have a very long flight back to Vancouver from La Paz and have sent numerous emails to see if my luggage will go directly to Vancouver or to Lima. But, good luck with any reply with Expedia! So far, nothing, but the same email to call the 1-877 number! Avoid Expedia, as there is NO support AFTER booking if you are outside North America.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

I had to cancel a hotel reservation that I paid for through the Affirm loan option on Expedia. This option pays all fees I cause in resort fees ahead of time. When I went to cancel my reservation I was not refunded the full amount that was paid for by the loan company they told me over and over again that these fees are not paid for in advance (which when you choose the Affirm payment option it is) even after providing proof of the total amount being charged they refused a refund. It took 3 hrs of back and forth calling and me beginning to cry hysterically and threaten to sue them for them to just end up refunding my credit card that will still be later charged but Affirm and not refunding Affirm as they were suppose to. They offered ZERO compensation for the unacceptable refund fiasco and continued to tell me that I wasn't basically making it up. After sending them screenshots of the total amount paid how it was paid for they still insisted it wasn't correct.

I can NOT believe how poorly they handled this. Even after having proof of Affirm the loan company paying the full amount they still refused to refund me the correct amount. I also sent the screen shot showing where when you pick the Affirm option they pay ALL of it in advanced. They offer a service they have no education on. Below I have the screenshots I had to show them my debt they put me in. The refuse to refund back correctly.

Really had bad experience with my international flight booking. Expedia provided wrong passenger name for one of the passenger to the airline. There is no option to update the name so had to cancel the booking and make another booking. Just wasted $500+ on this whole drama. Can't Expedia do such basic job of providing correct names to the airlines? Expedia wouldn't bear this cost even if it's their fault. So terrible.

I purchased in February 2016 a package for 3 people to Dominican Republic for November 21, 2016 to November 27, 2016. The package included airfare and all-inclusive hotel. Price was 2,296.55. Itinerary #: **. On August 29, 2016 my flight was canceled due to problem with flight company under name Dynamic Airways. I tried to rebook to another flight but Expedia offered me a double amount from the original package. They did not even try to match original deal. So I have to cancel complete package.

I called Expedia and canceled the flight and they told me that refund will be issued from Dynamic Airways in 4 to 6 weeks for the amount of my tickets for $1,004.28 (each ticket $334.76). Also I had to cancel the hotel because I could get to it. No flights were available, only very expensive that I could not afford. Expedia start play with with me that they cannot cancel my hotel but after multiple calls they finally cancel NY hotel and I got a refund.

So I waited patiently for my flight refund and after 7 weeks I called Expedia and told them that I did not get anything. They told me that in their records Dynamic Airways already issued a refund in September and should contact Dynamic Airways directly because this is not Expedia problem. I did contact Dynamic Airways and they told me that they try to issue a refund in September but the computer system had a problem, and should wait for refund in December.

I called Expedia multiple times and spoke to a different managers, and even send my bank account statement showing that I did not receive any refund for the flights. Their answer: "That is not our problem anymore. Contact Dynamic Airways." Ok but I did not book a trip with them. Expedia did. They is my travel agent and they should take care of their customers. I also tried to contact Dynamic Airways but they not answering. I left multiple messages and no respond.

Customer service completely unprofessional and acting like a robots. Called multiple times and spoke to a different level of customer service, and answer the same, "We cannot help you. Call airline company and deal with them." But Expedia booked a completely package for me and I never deal with an airline company. They lost a customer and all my friends as well.

I rented a car through Expedia website from Budget car rental, but the problem is that I was under impression that I reserved the car for one week starting 1/6/17. When I was looking and searching for a care I put date 1/6 to 1/11 just to look for available cars. Then I found on Expedia an offer for $82 weekly rate, and at the bottom of the screen a reservation button that I hit to reserve for one week without going back and changing the date. So when I went to pick up the car from Budget they did not want to change it to a whole week instead of 1/6 - 1/11, and advised me to pick the car with the wrong reservation date 1/6-11 and call Expedia to change to whole week from 1/6 to 1/13.

I called Expedia to change the dates for my car that I already picked to one week from 1/6 to 1/13 so I don't have to cut my vacation and travel prematurely on 1/11/17, but they couldn't change it. They advised me to a screenshot that shows your advertised weekly rate of $82 to customer service as a proof of my claim in an effort to make you change it to one week from 1/6 to 1/13 instead of 1/6 to 1/11. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Expedia customer service and sent 5 e-mails without any help. Their customer service people are not willing to help at all, they sound like a broken records with just repeating the statement that they were told to say in an automatic manner. They just want to take your money without give back any decent service.

I had made a reservation for 12/30/16 - 01/01/17 for my stepdaughter. She told me she had to pay for the next day, and I told her that I had already paid for it. So I called Expedia and asked why if I had paid for it already? The person I had spoke with was very hard to understand, so I asked him if he was from the U.S. or the Philippines. He said the Philippines. He said that I had to pay for the room again. So, I asked him why I should pay for it, since it was their system that screwed up!? So I told him to go ahead and charge my card, and I will never use Expedia ever again, and I will let everyone know not to use them. So he said he sent me 2 receipts in my email. The funny thing was, they were the same receipt from the original transaction! This guy was a real dumbass!

I use their site to book a trip to Colorado Springs. They recorded my booking and confirmed it was Colorado Springs but they sent me to Denver after acknowledging it was their error. Because of the cost to fix it, they did nothing to correct it and because of the timing of the trip I had to pay to get from Denver to Colorado and back.

Is it shown anywhere on the Expedia site that you cannot book any flights less than 24 hours before the flight? Just had the complete runaround from Expedia personnel, Sandra, and Alex the supervisor. Was on hold 1.5 hours until reached Kenzi ** in corporate that explained this policy. Never ever use them. Our son is on a flight to Australia and they will not complete the booking I made.

I was on the road traveling a long time. I called Expedia for a room and told her the number of the highway that I was close to and needed to book a room close by. She booked me a room at the Hampton Inn in Charlotte. I put it in my GPS and realized it was a couple of hours away. I called immediately, she did not help, I then talked to supervisor. He said he called the hotel and no one answered and that my request was denied. I appealed to my Citi bank credit card and after investigation it was denied. I now have to pay for a room that I never used and tried to cancel. I will never use Expedia again. I GAVE ONE STAR BUT I DO NOT REALLY WANT THEM TO HAVE ANY STARS.

It was very satisfactory for a one night stay in a location unfamiliar to us. The motel was undergoing renovations. Despite this the site was quiet. Only one elevator was operational at the time we checked in. The workmen were very courteous and allowed guest to use the elevator first, or would exit and let guests on. The staff for was cheerfully and polite.

Where do I begin? To demonstrate how frustrated I am, this is the first ever review I have written. I tried to cancel my reservations because my itinerary changed. It was unbelievably difficult to cancel my hotel reservation. First when I called the customer service number (as given on the website), I waited over ten minutes. Finally got an agent who explained that she couldn't help. Then she said she would transfer me to the appropriate agent. Instead I was transferred to another automated system where I had to wait again. The new agent's accent was impossible to understand. She clearly dragged it out and attempted to prevent me from canceling.

While waiting on the phone, I tried to cancel online. After 15 minutes, I could not find any way to cancel. BTW, I am a savvy Internet user. Again, I felt that the company made it purposely difficult to cancel. This borders on misrepresentation. As a person who has a busy schedule this wasted an unproportion amount of my time. Beware! If you try to cancel, you're screwed.

I reserve a Hotel and paid full and confirm it on around 10 days before my journey. But when I go there Hotel staff says they don't accept Expedia bookings and they did not give rooms for me. I call hotline (international call) staff more than 30 minutes. First told me they will offer me another hotel and then got nothing. I had to leave hotel without getting rooms. Even at that time that hotel is in Expedia booking list and hotel management says they don't have agreement with Expedia. After that 2 weeks gone, nothing has happen. Not even refund my money. Send number of customer support emails and all telling this and that but no one talking about the matter.

I booked a hotel in Thailand. I used Expedia because their price was the cheapest. At the time I was comparing with another company and talking on the phone to that company. I told them that Expedia were cheaper and the person I was speaking to asked me to check if the price included local taxes, as this was Thailand where the Tax is 20% so it is important. The email confirmation said it did include the Tax but I decided to check by telephone. My call was directed to Bangalore where I was told that the price did not include the Tax. When I explained I had an email saying it did include the tax the lady told me it definitely didn't. She was going to check and I waited 10 minutes on the phone. No one rang back. If I had got to the Hotel and had to pay 20% of £6500 I would have been very annoyed. Surely this type of trading should be outlawed!

Expedia appears to be operating a racketeering business with the major airlines and hotels. Although I understand a non-refund policy on a airline ticket, however a non-refund or credit when an emergency situation arises and there has to be a change to an airline ticket it totally unreasonable. Emergencies are quite normal. In my case I purchased a Delta Airline ticket for my God-daughter's graduation from Army basic training in San Antonio. Initially I was told that the graduation was Sat 1/7/2017. I later learned that the graduation is actually Friday 1/6/2017. The fact that I was denied an opportunity to change this reservation or given a credit is a very poor business practice. Ripping consumers off like this is totally unacceptable.

We booked a flight/hotel package through expedia.ca a month or so before the actual vacation for the two of us (a couple) from Vancouver to Honolulu, Hawaii. Hotel was booked for 4 nights and 4 days at Hawaii. Flight had a transit stopover of 1.5 hours at Seattle before boarding the 2nd flight to final destination. I got an email from the Airlines (Delta) six hours before the departure time of 6 am that the first flight is delayed by 1 hr and 15 mins. Hence I may be missing the connection! It asked me to review the other options and book through Delta website asap. The best available option is a very similar route (with a 1.5 hrs stopover in Seattle) departing late in afternoon at 3 pm and reaching Hawaii at 10 pm (10 hour delay from original plan!). I was reluctant to re-book this since the same thing can happen again but I did so due to other limited options of traveling a day later.

Lo and behold, I got an email again. This time 4 hours before departure that the first flight is again delayed. The other options provided will effectively cut one day of our vacation at Hawaii! During this difficult time of figuring out what to do with Delta, we tried contacting Expedia and requested them to re-book us through any other airline or hotel if possible. All I heard from customer rep is that IT IS MY PROBLEM WITH THE AIRLINE AND HE CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. When I asked him "Since Expedia brokered this deal for me, can't you figure out any alternatives for me with the hotel booking to compensate for my lost vacation time?" His response was "so, am I supposed to help you for airline's mistakes?" He then puts me on hold for 30 long minutes and came back and said "I talked to hotel and without paying another $1000 or so for a night, nothing can be done about your lost time."

I agree that it's not their fault that the flight got canceled twice but the manner in which they react was very rude and indifferent. The attitude was as if he is the customer and I am the one trying to beg him for a sale. I realized then and there that I will not be using their services any longer. I would rather pay a couple of hundred dollars more and get a better service from a quality service provider than these cheapo deal brokers who don't know how to treat a dissatisfied and a helpless customer.

Today I booked a hotel using Expedia. Website was easy to use and thorough. My transaction went through and I received my confirmation by email. Upon arrival to hotel only 1 hour later I found that the pool was out of order. Considering this was the reason for bringing my children to the hotel I was extremely disappointed. The front desk clerk was apologetic and told me I could contact Expedia and she would approve a refund, which is normally not a possibility. So I called Expedia. I was on hold for less than 5 mins and within another 5 min my request for refund was approved and I was amazed at the great customer service. I highly recommend using Expedia.

My girlfriend and I booked our vacation flight from the US to Denmark over Christmas Holiday. Our flight was cancelled twice, and 32 hrs later we finally boarded our flight. Not their fault. What was so utterly exhausted us was not receiving any updates or information (our apt was sitting waiting for us, at 250.00 a night). Any call we made went to customer service in the Philippines. Their agents in the Philippines were unable to speak English clearly. Every question we had resulted in them having to make a phone call to the airline, and eventually come back to us 45 min later, with virtually no information. It took us 15 HOURS on the phone over 2 days, to find out nothing. The airline couldn't answer any questions or help us because we booked through Expedia. Expedia couldn't do anything for us, because they don't speak English, and have the skills of chimps.

It really put a damper on my one and only trip to Europe. I finally got a supervisor who spoke English from the US, and after 15 hours on the phone, he did nothing to help us, either. Frankly, if you book through them there is NO benefit to you-you actually shoot yourself in the foot if there is a problem. I'm actually shocked that a large company is able to survive in this day and age, offering such crappy service. A rep from the airline suggested we never use them. He said that he's been "an agent for 25 years, and has never seen anything like it", regarding their service. He said that his airline had been trying to "help for days, re: This flight, and none of the Expedia people had even the basic skills to use a keyboard". Why it took so many hours on the phone was just Ridiculous. They would take info from us, put us on hold forever, then come back on the phone to repeat what they had said earlier. It was mind bending.

Expedia will charge you more after the booking is made. The charges will be between 10 to 50 GBP. It's been happening to me many times but I wasn't sure myself about it. But this time I caught them red handed. Now they are arguing the hotel cancellation policy may be different but I know they are same. Bunch of cheaters... You will not get an invoice immediately after booking (hotel+flight). This is for them to change later. Please don't use them... I will never...

I'm extremely disappointed with Expedia. Booking can be made online but can't do any cancellation online. Message pop out, contact customer service. I have made many calls, no one pick up and just on hold. Email sent also no response. 4 days before the pickup date, I have no choice but to call the car dealer to make cancellation manually. Email was sent to Expedia about this incident.

I have been following up with Expedia almost a month after my trip. Horrible service, response with silly answer few days after every mails that I put forward. Each time different people asking the same question that I must do cancellation online. Why I wanna trouble myself to keep on calling and sending emails if I can do it online? Then they change topic that they can't trace my booking and they have make a report to their service team.

After few emails sent to them, I forward them the root cause of the whole incident with the date and customer service's name. No response and they just kicking me like a ball. At last, Car Trawler concluded by sending a mail to me that I failed to pick up my car and therefore no refund. Expedia is a scam! Thanks for the great cheated lesson. No more Expedia.

The site can be confusing especially on return flights. You have to keep going back and forth when choosing. Seat assignments are not exactly clear. The price quoted isn't the actual price you are paying.

I wanted to reschedule the return flight for one or two days later. I have called the airlines and they said, they have the seat available for the new date and they asked me to contact expedia.com to reschedule the return flight due to I have booked through expedia.com. But, when I have talked to expedia.com customer service, they could not reschedule the flight. Expedia.com told me that, they did not find any seats on the new date. I think, there is a flaw in their system. So, if you want to reschedule any of your flight after booking, expedia.com is NOT right place to book the flight. I never will book the flight through expedia.com again. Instead, I go through travel agencies and we can directly reschedule the flight contacting airlines directly. Because, I used to do it before.

Expedia Customer service is pathetic. My Jet Airways flight was canceled by flight provider. Though it was flight provider initiated cancellation still they didn't negotiated any options with flight provider and forced me with only one option that Jet Airways provide. Expedia doesn't care about their customers and don't have any hold over flight companies. I booked my ticket in advance. Now they asked me to either cancel ticket or go with their option. Now flight rates are high and I have go with their option. Their customer service is super slow. It took them three 70-90 minute long call to update my itinerary. They don't even listen to customer complaints. Instead they just reiterate that this is flight provider policy. Next time I'm going to book my ticket directly through flight provider.

I totally agreed that Expedia do not have trained professionals who can 'help' you as they claimed. I have yet given the full details of a flight date change due to a health emergency for my air tickets and they are quoting me almost 10k SGD for not even checking the fare difference. I am utterly disgusted with the immediate 'no' for their response. And after calling and waiting for 6 hours over 2 days I have to top up fares that is as good as paying for new tickets. Expedia is ripping people off. Their customer service is almost impossible. Not in English and with an accent. They are most unwilling to help. Even calling the airlines directly, they have better assistance and willing to change the ticket dates and waive off any penalties or charge. The airlines have mentioned that there are plenty of seats on the airlines which Expedia lied almost immediately that there are none left on the flight!

I will bring the case to consumer council and ensure that Expedia do not cheat people with lower hand means of quoting and re-quoting airfares that varied from 10k to 2k in the end. The customer service are impossible to reach and when reached impossible to help which throughout my call with them have at least reassured me 7 times that they are helping me. I am having the feeling that they are much more in distress then I am.

This is an utter disappointment. It was my first trial with them and it will definitely be my last. I am a blogger/reporter and will report this case and may write short columns of whatever media coverage I can lay hands on to consumers not using Expedia. It is most terrible. It have very much inconvenienced the consumers and nonetheless created more distress. Inflexible and their statement of changing dates just by paying a price difference refers to a price difference of business or first class (but you are still traveling on economy).

Customer service are not collected or calm but a lot of emotions and have given me lecture on my likes or dislikes. When asked for their full name, they mentioned it is company policy that they cannot mention their surname? I am in awe! I am truly disgusted I truly am! Whatever means I can or word of mouth, I will insist and spread widely, Expedia is definitely NOT the option for you!!! As it made me feels like I am dealing with robots void of empathy. They are not equipped with trained professionals but probably outsourced their customer service in some third world countries which cannot relate to issues posted and dealt by them.

Expedia feels like a scam and unorthodox merchant. I'd rather purchase directly from an airline which they are much more able to deal with issues at any level and at any time. Since you will pay the heavier price ultimately, why waste your time on this kind of agent which does not advocate or represent your needs. Utterly disgusted. Herewith urging whoever considering Expedia to think at least a zillion times before using them! They are worse than your elementary friends.

I had two almost-identical reservations at the Wyndham Garden LaGuardia South in NYC and the wrong reservation got canceled. I contacted Expedia to try and reverse the situation and spent about 04 hours handling the issue through various phone calls with customer support, all with the same attendant. On the last call I was asked to wait for two minutes and I never got called back. I tried calling the number back after about one hour of waiting and got a recorded message informing me that the number was inaccessible to incoming calls. I had to call Expedia again and explain the situation again to another attendant to try and solve the issue once and for all, but I found out that they had no record of my previous contact and also that I would be charged two cancellation fees of $197.43 each, which adds up to almost $400.00 AND NO HOTEL RESERVATION for New Year's Eve.

I expressed my dissatisfaction to Damon, my second attendant, and he said I would be contacted by Expedia within 48h, as they would TRY to cancel one of the cancellation fees. I lost hours of my day trying to solve this issue and I could have used this time to book another reservation elsewhere. Instead I was told to hold on and wait to see if Expedia could solve my problem - and they didn't. I am very disappointed as I have been a loyal customer for a long time and today I experienced terrible treatment.

Good site, with the 24 hours canceling rule. But I usually find cheaper fares on the airline's sites. The cheap fares are usually are replace by higher fares by the time you check out. This is common on all the sites.

In April 2016 I had Expedia make reservations for a round trip flight for me and my wife from San Francisco to Puerto Vallarta (PV) Mexico. They were made on Aeromexico with stops in Mexico City going and Guadalajara returning. The 1st problem occurred in August when I was informed that the flight from Mexico City to PV had been cancelled. After over an hour on the telephone the airline agreed to refund me the one way fare going to PV but not the return. On December 26th, the day we were returning to San Francisco from PV, our flight from PV to Guadalajara and from Guadalajara to San Francisco was schedule to leave at 4:05 pm. At 2:17 pm I received an email from Expedia saying that the flight from Guadalajara to San Francisco had been cancelled and that I only had a flight to Guadalajara. Upon receiving this email I had to find a flight back to San Francisco.

Today I informed Expedia about this and I was told that since I need not show up for my flight I cannot get any compensation for the cancelled flight. I inquired of the person I was discussing this issue as to whether It made any sense that I would wait in a line at Aeromexico when I needed to find a flight that would get me home to San Francisco. I have asked to speak to a Supervisor and am presently on hold. I have now been on hold for over an hour. As I have business to attend to, I will need to terminate the call without speaking to anyone in authority. I can only advise other travelers that they should not use Expedia. They do not represent the traveler! They take the side of the Airlines at the expense of their customers. For a Company which getting fees for their services this is a very poor way of doing business.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.
  • Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.
  • +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.
  • Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.
  • Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.
  • Best for Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Compare Travel Sites