Expedia

Compare Travel Sites

Research top Travel Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought a two way business class flight to Europe through Expedia. I had to change the return flight date. After a lengthy explanation I was quoted... 9,000$... fee change. Which is ridiculous and they were bold to offer me to buy a new one way ticket. Since I made the flight a few times and I know there is usually a change date penalty I called directly to the airline (BA) - perfect service. I just mentioned Expedia and I think they understood. The representative made the change in 2 minutes charging me 75$. I should have read these review before making the reservation with Expedia.

I tried to booked from YQM to SJC for $1,200 for both ways and after I put the credit card information, it still shows $1,200 but when I click on the continue button, it asked if I still want to proceed as it just went up to $1,700+ and I just "X" it out. So I went back just to see if the ticket really went up but it is still showing the same price which is $1,200. So I don't really know why Expedia is showing that the fare went up to $1,700+. I guess no trip for me this Christmas to see my Dad who is in vegetative state after he got hit by a car!!! Thanks Expedia for ruining my trip! I will look somewhere else!!!

No cancellation policy on some bookings. Ignore the 24hr free cancellation policy they offer. I tried cancelling within 3 minutes after finding out I had clicked the wrong window of the several flights I was looking at. No one to help. Spent hours on hold going from stupidvisor to stupidvisor. Called airlines and was told only Expedia could refund. They will politely tell you it is not their policy to refund on certain flights that are such a good deal. $1200 spent on tickets I can't use. If this is how a company runs a business then they should be avoided. Unfortunately they can get away with this behavior.

I booked a vacation package and realized almost immediately that I had selected the wrong property. Tried to contact Expedia through their customer Support online and would not allow me to access my account. The link went nowhere. Have now been on hold for the second time for a total of 4 hours. This is not acceptable Customer Support. I will NEVER use them again!

Well I get a lot of Expedia spam. Received an offer a few days ago offering a hot deal with half price hotels. Not too much information other than that get you in line. So I tried to book 3 days in Geneva. NO HALF PRICE HOTELS HERE. I am tired of the normal Expedia bogus offers. It appears that this company just wants to get you in and sell at its normal price. Disgraceful behavior. To cap off misleading advertising there is NOWHERE on the company's website where users can leave feedback. A few phone contacts... but I'd rather leave a comment which is concrete. Sounds like Expedia does not want to be bothered by its customers. I will be unsubscribing from this bad bad company as I have had enough.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Airline changed my flights and I ended up traveling for 55 hours for an international journey that should take only 30 hours or so. Called Expedia customer line several times and every time it takes over an hour, long hold, and transferring me from one person to another. After all the hassle Expedia never followed up or offered a different flight. On the other occasion also, when calling the customer service, it takes at least 40 min to 1 1/2 hours to resolve even a simple request.

Please DO NOT USE EXPEDIA. These people are scammers. I have never in my life use Expedia. On Saturday I received an email saying my reservation for Las Vegas was confirmed. I NEVER authorize this reservation so I call the customer support the same day and no one call me back. Call yesterday and they apologize and say they were going to cancel the reservation and everything was fixed. An hour later I received an email saying "Dear Sandie we apologize but the hotel is not responding so we will keep you updated." First my name is not Sandie, second I don't know why they told me everything was fixed when I call if it wasn't. Call again today and they say the hotel is not answering and they will call me back in 48 hours. I have a charge in my credit card for EXPEDIA, not for any hotel, and you cannot refund my money?

This was my 1st use of Expedia to book a motel room. As it turned out will be the one and only! Booked a room at Days Inn in Sierra Vista AZ for two nights. When we arrived was told we had reservations for two nights but not the day of arrival. I ask the General manager Miguel ** who was at the Motel if he could get the dates corrected. He said he would try and try he did and just got a lot of run around from Expedia. He stressed he would waive any charges that Days Inn could Charge and wanted this settled as we were starting into the second hour. Expedia still spun its wheels and just assigned us a very nice room. We enjoyed our stay and the free breakfest very much. THANKS Days Inn! As for Expedia You SUCK.

I booked Ocean BPR in Cancun, Mexico through Expedia for the third time. When I booked the room through the mobile app, I specifically chose the rate for the King Size room type. When I arrived at the hotel, there were no king size beds available. Then, they tried to say that it wasn't their fault. It's the travel company's responsibility to ensure that their guest is properly cared for. I am currently a Gold Member and I am not being treated with great service. They even did not refund any amount for my inconvenience and stress. I have never encountered a problem with this hotel before. I have encountered many problems with Expedia.

I am extremely disappointed. When I got to the hotel, they charged me an extra for "hotel fees." That is theft. They charge me once I arrived and I had nowhere else to go. They may as well put a gun into my head and get the money. Also disappointed with Expedia for not making these fees transparent. I will not be booking through Expedia again. Unbelievable!!! To top it all up, Expedia rejected the review above. Those reviewed you see in Expedia are fake and screened.

When I attempted to review my hotel stay I booked through Expedia, it was rejected. When I reviewed the guidelines for posting, I found that I did not violate any of their rules for posting. My review included information about illegal drug activity occurring all over the place around the hotel, which I found to be very important information for future hotel guests as I was shocked and appalled at what my wife and I saw. When I called Expedia for clarification about the rejection, I spoke with a very incompetent person over the phone who was unable to even speak in complete sentences. After he put me on hold multiple times, I was transferred to a supervisor where I sat on hold for another 15 minutes before I just decided to move on with my life. This is my first time sharing information on the Consumer Affairs website and I just thought anyone who reads this should know that Expedia prompted my message with their poor service and business practices.

On top of this, the hotel was not a bargain and included a hidden "parking fee" of $25 per night on top of my reservation. Expedia did not include this information anywhere on their website. Poorly run company, do not use Expedia. Just call a hotel in advance, that's the best way to go. I hope this helps future vacation planners make a more informed decision about how they book their trips.

We booked 4 flights in a package on expedia.com. Two passengers aren't able to leave on the same day because of a family emergency and upon attempting to delay the flights (after purchasing insurance and the paperwork even stating there aren't any fees to change or cancel), they want to charge us $200 per person for the delay. They said we can then file a claim to get reimbursed. When I looked on their website to purchase 2 new tickets for the same date, they're only $35 more but they still wouldn't just adjust the difference in the cost.

Every time they put me on hold, they would take me off of hold after about 5 minutes, not say a word, and then put me on hold again - all most likely to alter their recorded hold times. I spent over an hour on the phone with them and still no resolutions. They're pointless to go through. They don't make it easier to travel, they actually complicate everything. Dealing with airlines directly is so much easier and cheaper. This company has absolutely no service skills whatsoever. They're a third party that refuses to take accountability in anything. Also, none of their reps speak clear English. They're so hard to understand and they're awful to deal with. Worst company ever.

I used Expedia to book a room for 2 nights. My car broke down so I was unable to use the room. I called Expedia and they would do nothing about it. I was charged both nights even though I called the morning of the day I was supposed to arrive. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

I have had nothing but horrible experiences with Expedia. I will never book with them or recommend that anyone book with them again. I've spent hours upon hours booking flights only to have them cancel and change my flights without my consent. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Expedia last month because I booked a flight and then they canceled my flight without telling me. I showed up to the airport and didn't have a flight. Then, I booked another flight with them earlier this month and I just got an email that my flight was changed from a nonstop to a layover. I paid a good amount of money for the direct flight and not only did they change it on me and give me a 2-hour layover, but if I do want to book another flight that fits my travel plans, I need to pay the difference and the only ticket available is astronomically more expensive due to the last minute of this notification.

I like many others on here booked a hotel night stay and then found the dates to be wrong when receiving my itinerary. I immediately called and was placed on hold while customer service contacted the hotel for me. When he returned he stated that the change was made and at no additional cost to me. However the day I was set to check in I received a voicemail in an attempt to change my dates. Confused I called back and was told that my dates were changed at the hotel and not with Expedia. They accused me of being the ones who contacted the hotel. Long story short after 7 representatives 3 of which were supervisors I ended up paying the hotel directly as Expedia refused to pay even after charging my account. I have the BBB involved now and will escalate to my attorney if needed.

On the 19 of this month I booked a room in Orillia and when I checked my reservation the hotel was in Midland. Phoned Expedia and they booked me a room at the King's Inn in Orillia. I specifically asked for a pet-friendly room. When I got there, there were no pets allowed. 2 errors in one booking, come on I thought you guys were professionals and knew your jobs.

Called to change my reservation and got three different answers from the customer service department. I asked to speak with the manager or supervisor and they said they were the highest level. So after going back and forth with a customer service department outside the United States in half broken English and tired of fighting I made the change because Expedia banks on you giving up after they provide crappy service.

THIS WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD WHEN IT HAS COME TO TRAVELING, HANDS DOWN!!! I tried to change a flight for a different day so I needed to talk to an agent. I called the 800 # and the agent was nice but completely incompetent. She had trouble understanding what I wanted to do. All I needed was to change dates. I knew that I would probably end up paying more in fees and I was ok with that. I was planning to leave SFO to Palm Springs and that this was a roundtrip flight. I was on the phone with her OVER AN HOUR!!! She charged my card for the new flight and was reading me the flight information which sounded correct, but while she was doing so, I checked my email confirmation on the computer and she had me leaving and coming home switched. She had me departing Palm Springs instead of SFO and returning the opposite too.

I called her on it so she put on her supervisor which said he would change it for me but he made my ticket ONE WAY!!! WTF!!! I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with these two clowns to find out I was calling El Salvador! I then hung up, called the carrier myself and had my tickets correctly done in less than 15 minutes. When I called back Expedia to cancel and to get a partial refund, that took another hour of my time and I was talking to someone in the Philippines. When I asked to speak to someone in the US to their corporate offices which is located in Washington State, I was then placed on hold again for another HOUR while they tried to connect me. They stated there isn't a way to contact corporate without them having me on the line and then patching me through.

When I did talk to someone supposedly in their corporate office, I was talking to someone in Nevada. She couldn't care less about my experience. She never once apologized. She had a flat affect, and proposed no solutions or accountability for anything. ANOTHER HUGE CORPORATION WHO OUTSOURCES JOBS AND COULD CARE LESS ABOUT YOU IF THERE IS A PROBLEM!!! I should charge Expedia 3+ hours for my time wasted!!! I will never use them or any of the travel companies they are a parent of again!!

DO NOT BOOK WITH EXPEDIA! Tried booking a domestic flight in the U.S. and I was charged 13 times for a flight. They took $2,800 for a flight that was originally $220. Tried disputing these cost with Expedia (since the airline directs you for refunds to the travel service) and they claim they have no idea why that happened. Further they drag you through a long convoluted refund process. From where I stand they're nothing but thieves!!! Needless to say the holidays are the worst time to get robbed!!! Holiday travelers beware. Stay away from EXPEDIA!!!

I booked a "pay later" hotel reservation. I then looked at my credit card account online and saw that I was immediately charged for the hotel stay. I then canceled the reservation within 24 hours of booking and Expedia refuses to refund my $300 because the hotel took this money. Expedia should not write "pay later reservation" in their booking system if they will indeed allow a hotel to charge their customers. Completely false advertising and fraudulent! Don't let Expedia take your money! I had to pay $300 to learn this lesson!

WHAT A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! Booking the reservation was easy. But when I called to cancel the reservation, I was on the phone for 50 minutes. I kept getting put on hold and kept getting transferred to the supervisor. Finally I was told that it will be cancelled and that I will receive a refund within 5 days. I was also offered a 100 dollar coupon, which I never received.

5 days later I checked to see if it was cancelled and it was not. So I got back on the phone and again kept getting put on hold and kept getting transferred. So the poor service was not just on the first call but now the second call which tells me that this happens all the time. Anyways, I was told again that it was cancelled and that I will receive a refund within 5 days. So now this is a total of 10 that it will take for a full refund.

I have never known a refund to take this long. I needed the money for my vacation. I informed them of this inconvenience and they were not sympathetic at all. I asked about the 100 dollar coupon that I was offered previously. I was told "I don't have the authority to give you that" I don't see what the benefit is to book through expedia. It would have been easier to book directly with the hotel. Do not use Expedia to book your reservations. THIS COMPANY DOES NOT HAVE ANY CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS. THEY ARE A RIPOFF AND A SCAM.

Updated on 11/20/2016: Worst customer service in my life. After the last phone call, I checked today and my reservation still had not been cancelled. I called again. Keep in mind, this is now my 4th call. THIS COMPANY IS A TOTAL SCAM. I would be able to look beyond the first time I tried to cancel but I've tried more than once and it still hasn't got cancelled. That tells me that it's not just an error of 1 employee. This is their protocol for whatever reason. They are acting as the middleman and I'm assuming they must not receive their cut of the money if there are cancellations. Not sure exactly what the scam is but this type of service was intentional.

Anyways let me explain my current call. So I called and explained that it was my 4th time calling them to cancel and I asked to be transferred immediately to a supervisor. I waited 20 minutes and finally a gentleman answered the phone "thanks for your patience" in a firm voice I explained my issue and his response to me was "if you don't lower your voice and let me speak, I will hang up on you" I wasn't even to my boiling point yet. Anyways, I asked why it wasn't being cancelled and he could not give me a reason but told me he was going to transfer me to someone else that will help me. Keep in mind, he was the supervisor and he could not help me.

After another 20 minute hold, a female picks up and asks for my credit card info so that she can refund me. I refused because they should have already had this info. I told her how upset I was with the customer service and how upset I was that no odyssey has said sorry to me. Then it was complete silence. So I asked "aren't you guys even sorry for my experience?" Her response was "you were not transferred to me for an apology, you were transferred to get your refund." By this point I was literally at a loss of words. I could not believe they are allowed to treat the customers this way. She said "if you don't give me the info, I can't refund your money." So I gave her the info and she said "ok you should be getting your refund in 5-7 business days."

MY ADVICE TO ANYONE THINKING OK USING EXPEDIA: DO NOT USE EXPEDIA!! Plain and simple. You're not getting any kind of discount. Although the website makes it look like you are. I researched this after my experience. It's the same price to just book it directly with the hotel. You might have to pay a few bucks more but its worth it to not have a bad experience and to not give this company any type of financial gain by offering poor customer service. They are scamming their customers. I will continue to use the website ONLY as a tool to search for hotels. But after finding a hotel, I will call the hotel directly to book. I'm not done though with my complaint. I plan on going to Better Business Bureau because that's how sure I am that this company is scamming people. They need to be investigated.

(I gave it one star so the review would be accepted or else it would be NONE). A Los Angeles private school teacher was sent to a professional development seminar in Nashville. It was a very busy Veterans day weekend and not a hotel room to be found in city. We booked her into the Red Roof Hotel on Claridge. She arrive 11/11/16. She was in & out of there in 30 minutes. Supposed to be a smoke-free environment – both her room and lobby reeked of smoke. Her room was very unsafe as the door opened directly onto a very busy street. The room itself was shabby & dirty. The neighbors were screaming/hollering. The room safe did not work. The check in/out counter was manned by (what appeared to be) high school students who made no attempt to call the manager or assist our employee who was forced to find other lodging.

Additionally she overheard a man & woman inquiring at the counter what were the room rates per hour?!?! She left quickly – no idea if they do hourly room rental. UPDATE 11/16/16 - NOT ONLY WAS THIS HOTEL TERRIBLE BUT NOW THEY ARE NOT REFUNDING THE $350 they received at the time of booking through Expedia... I am getting NO customer service, i.e., refund, from either Karen ** the hotel manager or Expedia.

I purchased travel insurance for a package vacation. Now I am forced to cancel and found out that I'm only getting refunded in vouchers. The salesperson guaranteed me every cent would be returned. I didn't think we'd have a family emergency, but here we are. Vouchers won't help people who probably won't travel again in their lives. Heartless companies are nothing new, but I've been using Expedia for years and thought they were somewhat decent. I've been on the phone for five hours, spread over the last two days, talking to so many different people who don't really even understand me and... I'm just really upset. The funny this is that I never bought travel insurance before. What can I do?

I lost my flight because Air China change scheduled and never confirmed departure from Houston on 11/14. I was told to come over to airport at 9:00 pm, it's 9:00 am and I also missed the connection flight scheduled for 11/15/2016. Making long history short I have been 12 hours at Houston airport asking not to leave and basically missing two flights. More than screwed vacation! I also talked to United Airlines which monitor flight 7663 from Houston to San Francisco, then CA to Beijing. Nice surprise! I received by mistake this ticket with wrong person and destination.

I'm requesting a full amount for $1,163.41 plus activities scheduled in total amount of $182.43. I want immediately refund PLUS discussed COMPENSATION AND FREE VOUCHER/CREDIT (Additional) coordinated with Air China or Expedia for another destination. It was one of the most unpleasant and horrible experience. There is no coordination and either organization or respect for the customer. I have few witness at Houston Airport including United Supervisor on terminal C (Ms. Mattie) who knows everything on detail, including all violation made with this itinerary.

I have been on hold for 4 hours and 26 minutes, and finally they told me my whole ticket is not refundable due because a no show!!! Really? So why you all apologize and even send me a wrong ticket to my email? I'm still waiting for the supervisor and my whole refund back! If Air China does not want to reimburse, you'll need to do! Stop stealing people and scam with stupid ghost policies to avoid a reimbursement. I have paid an insurance as well, so you all screwed it and I still have to pay for your mistake. I want a solution ASAP because I do work hard to earn my money. Thank you!

Found the same hotel for cheaper and was eligible for price match and $50 coupon by Expedia. My claim was approved but it has been about 3 month and until now they say my request is being processed. What a shame! I was a customer for 8 years but now I will make sure not to use them again.

I booked a hotel thru Expedia. I said I'll pay cash at the hotel. Expedia has charged us a no show fee even with a receipt that says we paid cash to the hotel. Expedia if you has American employees who understand English. I would have my money back. Anyone who is thinking about using Expedia don't do it. They are crooks.

DEDUCT MY money when booking us not successful. Said the amount will be refund in 72 hours. Nothing has happen after more than 72 hours. Called in 3-4 times, staff don't know what they are doing. Transfer the call here and there. Emails is troublesome as if they don't understand English. Till date refund not in. Still trying. Bottom line. Forget this Expedia. A bad bad experience. Money gone. No holidays.

The worst experience in my life with this lowlife company. Booked a hotel on their website, entered the correct date in and then paid for it. The email they sent had a completely different date!!! How is that even possible!? Then they said I could not get a refund as it was a non refundable booking. I told them I didn't want a refund, I wanted to change the date. They said they would call the hotel to see if that was ok. I got a call from the hotel and they said that it was EXPEDIA who took the money not them. They said it was up to Expedia to refund me, they would have no problem refunding me if they had taken the payment themselves. So Expedia now saying its the hotel and the hotel say its expedia. All I want is a date change, not a refund. Expedia are a joke. Do not use them EVER.

I had booked a flight on Expedia from Edmonton with a layover in seattle, ending in Hawaii. I was meeting family on the flight from seattle to Hawaii. Expedia called and informed my husband that the flight was cancelled and we needed to rebook on a different flight arriving later or we would lose the booking. He did, when we checked with my family less than a few hours later we were told the flight wasn't cancelled. We informed Expedia of this and phoned them several times within the 24 hour rebooking window but were told there was nothing we could do as we accepted the alternative.

We identified that there was other options that we were not presented, these options were on the same airline leaving on the same day from the same country so according to their policy should have been viable options but were again told as we accepted the alternative there was nothing they could do. However, we would not have accepted the alternative if we were told the truth (in that the flight wasn't cancelled, only part of the flight was). So not only did they misrepresent the flight schedule, they didn't give any options for rebooking and refused to change the booking when we found viable options that fit within their policy. I will never book with Expedia again as their customer service is nonexistent.

This company is fraudulent. I dealt with many reps over 4 months. No less than 3 reps put me on hold for an hour saying they were taking care of my issue. Upon getting back on the phone with me, I questioned in detail what they did. If they said they called the airline, I asked who they spoke to, phone number and/or I'd of that person, etc. Three times, I have followed up and found the rep lied. One rep was making up so many stories when asked for detail that as I took notes, he had 5 inconsistent lies going on. I told his supervisor who did not help either and never followed up with my issue.

The latest email I received from Expedia is that they are requesting a refund on my airline China Eastern Airlines. My airline was Virgin Airlines! Total incompetence as well. I finally gave up trying to work with them, accepted my loss of $3200 and am moving on with my life. I only write good reviews and if I've had a bad experience with a company, I do not review and give them the benefit of the doubt. I need to write this bad review to protect other consumers if you choose to listen.

Compare Travel Sites