1.14/5
Based on 591 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a travel site?

Last updated: May 21, 2018

3758 Expedia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

Case ID : [**] Our hotel booking was cancelled without our authority. No phone call. No follow up. We only found out when we arrived at our hotel in Dubai at 10 pm on a Friday night. We then rebooked the same room for the same nights but of course had to pay the rate offered to us by the hotel which was considerably higher. Some 25 emails later, 10 or so phone calls and hours and hours of wasted time we still can not get reimbursed for the difference we had to pay between the Expedia rate we booked and the actual rate we had to pay because Expedia cancelled our booking without our knowledge. Expedia play the waiting game and wait for you to go away. They offer terrible follow up and customer service. They need to come with a warning.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I bought a flight two days ago from today (20 May 2018), the payment was correctly processed from my card and Expedia site sent us the booking reference. Yesterday, a person from Expedia called asking for a payment of the same amount telling that after a couple of days the money would be refunded otherwise the flight would be canceled. What is the meaning of that? I felt like I am being deceived. I already paid for something and if I am not going to have for the service I paid for, why they are holding the money that is mine?

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Please everyone do not register or book ticket Airline, Hotel and cars rental of any Expedia website! Because It's scammed and I wished If I can rate for them 1 billion negative star I still do and already happened to me, I lost $562+$844=$1650 paid a ticket from Expedia.com website. They only said sorry to me from Expedia Supervisor! Let's me explanation why, because I was booked a ticket From San Jose to Dallas Fort Worth. Visited my Mom her birthday 70 yrs old and it's very important to me on that day. However the Expedia booked me a ticket airline. AA airline turn to be a nightmare.

I was booked round trip for Saturday and comeback next Saturday that mean I will stay with my mom's for 1 week. At that's time ticket high season Christmas eve! I was paid $550 included tax. After I was paid my credit charged completed and I talked everything good. No mistake and no problem even expensive ticket. That's okay for me. My Mom's is more important than anything else. I was closed my PC laptop and go to worked and my feeling great ready to party for mommy hell yeahhhh! In the next days, I was received a mail and I checked my email, I saw Expedia send me a confirmation ticket and I saw the dated return round trip for next day. That's mean Saturday departure and comeback next day is Sunday!

I was surprised and immediately called Expedia customer support, They said sorry for me. They can't help it! They were told me, "Your fault!" It's mean my fault, I told them, "Why my fault!" I told them, "Your system is stupid. I didn't booked the return date is next day okay. Your system is scammed my money and maybe another customer's too." Absolutely They were argument with me on the phone. An hour after that they told me, I need to paid extra fee $400 to replacement a error tickets and I told them, "I didn't want paid extra fee. Transfer for me to your manager and I will talked to your manager." They lets me waiting about 15 min to 17 min barely. The stupid manager pick up the phone and he talked to me the same things over and over again and again my fault! Did you believed it.

He told me He can help me book another ticket no problem and don't worry anything. However during he told me, he finalized and said slowly, "I'm sorry. The company won't let me reimburse money back to you. The ticket will charged you $562. Please make a decision soon if not the ticket not available anymore." Because it's very high season, did you believed it! I have no choice. I gave my credit card for him to charged and I was paid $562. You known what in mind said to me unbelievable. They hired the manager speak sound echo heard like from Nigerian scammer. That's why I'm warning you guys. Take my words. Stay far away as can for this Expedia.com website whatever they offer you even free ticket or anything else. Do not touch or called them, I guarantee you the trap waiting for you!!! Okay all Friends!!!

Original review: May 16, 2018

I paid 15% more per night at my hotel than if I had booked directly with the hotel. What happened to volume discounts for a big company like Expedia. Check all rooms directly before booking. No price matching after the fact. When I asked who would discover they could get a better deal directly then contact Expedia to have them price match? Why not just book on one's own. No answer to that.

Horrible treatment at a hotel. After being up 20 hours I was awake all night listening to a frightening domestic dispute in the room above me. I called the front desk-twice. Both times they hung up on me. I got dressed and went to the office where I was ignored and refused to be able to change rooms. In the morning I spoke to the manager and he ignored me. I wrote a review and that night someone from the front desk kept calling me and hanging up in retaliation for my review. I am sure because I know the manager saw it as he wrote a BS response that bore no resemblance to the way he responded to me in person.

Expedia sent me to the wrong rental car site where my prepaid reservation did not exist. I called for help and they did nothing. Avis, on the other hand was wonderful and honored my original reservation at the other site. When I got home I called Expedia and they did nothing for me but they did send me an e-mail immediately saying I am a racist. I never raised my voice. I called no one any name. I live within an Indian community in the US.

Here is my response to their e-mail: There was no racism. I simply stated that it is unfair to be a company with such low customer service ratings (one star out of five in 3400 reviews-- I just checked) and to be staffed by people who cannot understand English speakers very well. To be asked to repeat yourself over and over when you are already justifiably agitated is awful. It is also very hard to understand what your representatives are saying with such heavy accents.

If this were an entertainment industry, no problem but I called CUSTOMER SERVICE. Not only do you have terrible customer service policies but the whole useless/pointless process of reporting legitimate problems to people who can't help you because they have no authority and are having a difficult time understanding what the customer is saying is demeaning. CORPORATE GREED at play once again saving money by having your call center in a non English speaking country. Someone please kick me if I use Expedia again.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I recently booked a flight to Portugal through Expedia on TAP Airlines. Before booking I compared the price on TAP Air Lines with Expedia. I wanted the classic fare which includes a free checked bag. The prices appeared to be exactly the same. Expedia does not clarify what class ticket you're buying but silly me, I assumed that because the ticket was for the same flight at the same time and was the same amount of money it must be a classic fare ticket. After all, the discount price through TAP Airlines was $150 cheaper. There's no way there could be that much price difference right? Wrong!

It turns out Expedia is selling discount rate tickets for the price of a classic fare. Now the problem here is that the cost to check a bag with a discount ticket is $160 each way. That is absolutely ludicrous. I've got no response from Expedia and I don't expect them to do anything about it. So in other words I have to travel to Europe with only a carry on. I will never ever use Expedia for any travel plans ever again and I also plan on telling all of my patients about this for months to come. I'm a dental hygienist and see at least 10 relatively affluent people a day who do a lot of travel. ** Expedia!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: May 13, 2018

I booked a trip with multiple flights on Expedia. I received the email saying that one flight has been canceled. But it does not tell me which flight it is, and the online itinerary was not updated either. I tried to contact customer service. The representative answered the call within 1 min. But what happened after that is a 30 min long waiting. He told me to hold for a minute while he was going to contact another person to confirm the situation. I waited for couple minutes, and he told me to keep waiting. After a long waiting, he told me the helper is not answering the call, and suggested me to call back another day. He said nothing about my itinerary.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I made a reservation through Expedia and purchased Travel Guard insurance in case I had to cancel. It was $35 and the Expedia site explicitly included "trip cancellation" in the coverage. An emergency came up and I had to cancel, so I first called Frontier but was told that I could only cancel in case of medical emergency or death in the family. I informed them I had insurance and was directed to Expedia.

I called Expedia and was told that the Travel Guard policy covers cancellation only in case of medical emergency or death in the family. In addition, the policy covered the cancellation in line with the airline policy. He also mentioned a difference on how low fares airlines operates in comparison to the rest. So I asked the agent, what is the difference between Travel Guard insurance and Frontier? He kept repeating the same thing, they cover in case of medical emergency or death. After pushing him to the limit and making it clear that they were selling nothing because medical emergencies and death in the family were already covered by the airline policy. He said, the insurance covers for companies that do not have a cancellation policy. So I asked, do you know which companies have or do not have that a cancellation policy. He says, they do not know. The rest is history...

Original review: May 12, 2018

The absolute worst experience of my life and I have traveled quite a lot! Made reservations thru Expedia for airline tickets on Lufthansa and a reservation for a 5 Star Hotel in Cairo, Egypt. Got call next day telling us that the flight back was not operating and was putting us on a flight which was going to take 34 hours to get home from our 19 hour original flight. (One day longer.) I did research and found this was not true. I have spoken with Expedia for over a week and put on hold for 4 hours, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours to get original flight returned. Flight got restored on 5/8 and next day it was gone from the itinerary. Finally got with a Corporate Supervisor and was disconnected! She never returned my call. I am presently on hold and have been for the past 2 and a half hours trying to get Supervisor to correct again. One NIGHTMARE after another!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Booked a lot of flights and hotels over the last two years, keep finding better prices with the airlines and hotels, they keep putting my wife and I at the back of the plane, could not change because we booked with Expedia, hotels as well. If you book directly with the airline or hotel you will get same or better price, treated better. Not like second class trash. The airlines and hotel staff do not like Expedia customers.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Like many others I made a hotel reservation through Expedia and purchased Travel Guard insurance in case I had to cancel. It was only $9 and the Expedia site explicitly included "trip cancellation" in the coverage. When I received confirmation by email realized I had put in the wrong date. I immediately tried to cancel, but when I looked at the Travel Guard policy the fine print said trip cancellation was only for medical reasons. Yet my email receipt from Expedia clearly specifies "Hotel Protection."

I did not get a clear statement of non-refundability, buried in my confirmation email, until I had already paid for the reservation! The problem is clearly misleading information on the Expedia website and consequently I will never use it again, even though I have had an account there for many years. The same goes for Travel Guard, which needs to state up front what "trip cancellation" means: illness, disease, fatal accidents, and death, as long as you are alive to prove it.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I will never again book any services with Expedia. Worst customer service experience of my life. I feel the need to expose the fraud that is their so-called 100% refundable ticket purchase insurance, which they market without giving the fine-print until after you hit purchase on your tickets. We bought tickets with United and NOTHING indicated we could not add our dog. In fact, it was the opposite, it indicated that we had to add him after booking. I even had my husband call via phone and ask. My husband had called and spoke with an Agent while I was booking the tickets online but before submitting I needed to know how to add a ticket for our dog since we are moving. The Agent said pets are added after the fact through a separate program called PetSafe, or as Checked Cargo depending on the airline. My husband found the PetSafe page, so I hit submit and bought flight insurance which said that our tickets would be 100% refundable.

We went to the PetSafe page with United and could not figure out how to add my dog. After an hour or more I became frustrated, so we called United. They told us they were reviewing their program and we had to wait until May 1st to add him. We waited. May 1st they changed that deadline until mid-June. We are moving back to the United States and cannot simply leave our dog in Nicaragua. We spent 12 days stressing and agonizing over how to get our dog to the United States, and finally got my husband a ticket with another airline that included my dog. I am disabled from a year-old assault that left me one handed with a very painful condition and need the dog for my anxiety otherwise I can not sleep at night.

Due to my disability, I called and attempted to change my itinerary since I would have to be flying out of Liberia Costa Rica with our young son and several bags alone while my husband flew out of San Jose with the dog under our current itinerary, and all severely disabled. This is not simply a matter of mere inconvenience, I have no one to help and very little money. The Agent said the insurance does not cover the situation, even though they had told us to book the tickets and we are in this situation because we followed their instructions!! Now we are out an extra $600 for another flight, over $1000 last minute arrangements for the dog, plus a second hotel stay, and I have no idea how I am going to make it through the airport alone without aid with one hand and these people could care less that they left us in this position.

My advice is to book with a company that is more careful about answering seemingly simple customer questions. It is unconscionable that they did this and have zero accountability. Now they are trying to say they will help me get my dog on my United flight, which only highlights the fact they are misinformed and not listening. I even re-confirmed with United today that we cannot get my dog on a United flight before June 18th. They suspended PetSafe, and my dog is already too large for in-cabin travel.

United tried to work with me since my dog is my emotional support animal and I am disabled by Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and unable to use my right hand at all. But this mess is not theirs to clean up. It's Expedia's. Expedia still seems to be telling consumers, as I now have in writing, that you can get a dog on a United flight. That is incorrect. I will most likely have to survive a nightmare journey, with no assistance because they find misinforming consumers to be acceptable.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I bought a round trip international ticket that stated “fully refundable within 24 hours of booking” along with travel insurance that cost $179. Spent over 2 hours on hold trying to cancel the flight. The customer service representative was polite though very difficult to understand due to strong ethnic accent. Was shuffled through various departments, given numerous excuses why courtesy cancellation could not occur, but in the end was simply told “the computer wouldn’t accept the cancellation”.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I was traveling to India from Oregon, I had my flight booked from PDX to Del. But I had another website book my flight from Delhi to Bagdogra. I was told that I will be charged for my luggage. So I cancelled and called to Expedia to book the same. The guy that I talked to was from Asia and he was too slow. So I logged into my computer and booked my flight, I told him to check if it was confirmed, he told me that I was stupid and senseless and he kept on going. I asked his name to complain and he gave me fake name. Hence I called again to complain to his supervisor, she told me that she is going to listen to the recording but I never heard from her. Reached back to USA and contacted and they said again they will listen to the recording. Now it’s May and that happened in March 5th. So I am not going to use it anymore and ask people to boycott it.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Expedia is full of liars and incompetent employees. My wife and I booked airline tickets to Iceland and Munich through Expedia and was told we would be allowed a free checked back for my wife and me. We get to the check in desk and were told, to our dismay, that the tickets we booked were "promotional" and weren't allowed the free checked bags as we were told when we booked the trip. Of course we booked a flight where a checked bag was free... because otherwise we're spending an additional $500 and that's just not in the budget. Lo and behold, we had to pay for our checked bags at every single leg of the trip, costing us, you guessed it, $500 friggin dollars... This completely screwed up our budget and had to dip in to an account we did not want to touch due moving across the country just a week after the trip.

So we call Expedia's customer service and we wait for 2 hours for someone to help us in any way. Then guess what, we had to board our first flight! So we had to hang up and call back in Iceland via Skype credit. So we call back the next day and are put on hold for another hour, then finally we were told that Icelandair wasn't responsible for our issue and that we had to file a claim on both Expedia's website and Icelandair's website along with screenshots of our baggage receipts and any other expenses related to this garbage. So the entire trip we had no peace of mind and constantly had to keep track of our receipts so we can send in with our claims which we expected to be turned down because heaven forbid we get a refund for something we were lied to about regarding checked bags.

So we get home from our trip, having spent an additional $500 that was unexpected, call Expedia and are put on hold another hour and a half, then my wife had to go, so nothing resolved again. So she calls back the next day after ANOTHER lengthy wait session and enduring the neverending flute solos, she's told that they can give us $100 back into our account, and $400 of travel credit. Well, we will NEVER be using Expedia again because of this ridiculous debacle so a full refund is what we needed. They say they can't do that because the website had miniscule writing about our checked bags not being accounted for. Well the tickets we booked specifically told us we were allowed a free checked bag for each of us and didn't think to look for the fine print where it would say we weren't granted free checked bags... I mean, why would we assume that we didn't get bags when we were specifically told we could have bags.

The whole thing is a complete scam and Expedia is an unethical and incompetent group of liars. So they say we can't have the full refund into our account and since my wife turned down that original offer, we were told we couldn't get any refund. We laugh out loud because this lady who's spewing bs to us thinks that we're just going to say "okay, thanks for screwing us! Until next time!" So after a few more minutes of browbeating, she says she can only give us $100 and not the rest of the $400 that they already stole from us. So all in all, we are extremely unhappy with Expedia due to their utter incompetence, unethical business practices, and atrocious customer service, and will never be using Expedia again.

I realize that they'll still rake in the Benjamins because most people don't look at these reviews so this awful company won't be missing our money. Well they already stole $400 from us so they will have our money forever. But I warn anyone reading this, DO NOT USE EXPEDIA EVER! They are a joke of a company and deserve to be shut down. Thanks for stealing our money, morons!

Original review: May 8, 2018

I am a long year client of Expedia, basically since its inception, booking every year at a rather high number of intercontinental flights (at least 8-10/year) for me and my family and for hotels. It seems, I was lucky so far, because I never had to deal with their customer service for a more complicated matter. For my last flight however I had to, and indeed what I experienced was some of the worst in customer care I have seen so far (even though I am truly a frequent flyer, due to the nature of my job). As a result of a misunderstanding that was as much Expedia's fault as mine, a booking change was not done correctly. To sort this out took me around 10 expensive international phone calls and days. Typically I called, had to wait 5 minutes until the service person understood the case, I hanged up because it got too expensive and often was not called back.

When calling again, all started again, because I had another service person on the line. Promises of calling back or of sending new itineraries were not kept. After days of forward and backwards we finally solved the problem, with me being forced to pay two times a change fee to Turkish Airlines (together a few hundred Euro) and in addition there was the Expedia booking fee (one of which was waived). I could have also just have forgotten about the booking to buy a completely new ticket, it would not have been much more expensive, but have saved me a lot of stress.

Even today my travel plan does not show the correct new flight dates. I asked how about a compensation for my time and phone calls, or at least a credible excuse, but this was basically ignored, even though (or maybe because?) I started to copy the international CEO, the German CEO and the head of customer relations. When I asked about a contact to complain about customer service itself, I never got an answer. In summary I have to say that I expected much more in terms of service, customer care, obligingness and friendliness from Expedia, in particular because I am a very loyal and steady customer, spending surely more than 10,000 Euro/year for Expedia products. I noticed however already before that Expedia is not truly giving any special care to members or good customers. There special offers for members or good customers but these are nothing but normal discounts that one can find on any travel site.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Thinking about traveling? Stop! Whatever you do, do not, and I repeat, DO NOT book anything through Expedia.com. They are a bunch of under-trained bungling incompetents who cannot solve even the simplest of problems, and lie through their teeth about pretty much everything. They use offshore call centers in **, and have accents so thick, you can barely understand them. How they have stayed in business this long is beyond me, but avoid them at all costs. If the slightest thing goes wrong, you are in for one helluva clustermess.

Original review: May 8, 2018

We booked a trip package to Bahamas and the dates were for May 6-11. After looking at the itinerary many times I never noticed until the day before our vacation to see that our flight and hotel schedules didn't match. It had us checking out of the hotel on the 10th and flying out on the 11th. I called Expedia 3 times, communicated back and forth with several people, saying they would straighten it out, well as it turns out they didn't do anything to help us. To get the same rate with the hotel, they said after going back and forth that we would have to deal with it at the hotel. This cost us an $300. Very disappointed with Expedia, I will never go through them anything ever. The hotel was awesome. Worked very hard at fixing the problem.

Original review: May 7, 2018

booked 3 rooms expedia paid for 2 - May 5th 2018 I tried to check in at the Wyndham hotel in Vineland NJ and after 2 hours in front of the front desk the hotel tells me that Expedia did not send payment for hotel and they will try to fix the problem. Next day I check my bank charges and Expedia and the hotel charge me for the room. I am with Expedia on the phone for about one hour and 30 minutes and they still giving me the runaround.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I booked a trip with Expedia in Nov 2017 that was a package of hotel and air to St Lucia. After checking with the hotel and other travel-sites for prices for the dates I was interested in, Expedia lured me in by offering me a sale by email. The hotel was the Bay Gardens Beach Resort and I wanted an ocean view suite with full breakfast. When I went to the Expedia site, I found what I was looking for for a total package price of $3,900.37 for air and the suite. But when after I confirmed my selection, made the reservation and paid for the trip, my confirmation from Expedia stated that I reserved a Deluxe beachfront room and not the suite. The cost for the suite compared to the room was $70.00 per night or $490.00 for the vacation.

I then contacted Expedia customer service and informed them of my problem. The service rep checked my account and assured me that I did indeed book a suite. So I asked for something in writing to confirm this because I didn't want a problem when I checked in at the hotel which was reserved for a week in April 2018. The rep said that they would contact the hotel and get a confirmation from them. So as I waited on the line, the rep said he contacted the hotel. After few minutes, he came back on the line, stated that he confirmed my reservation as a suite and gave me the name of the person he spoke to and a hotel confirmation number. He again assured me that my reservation was for a suite with full breakfast for two people.

By the time Feb 2018 arrived, I had not received any confirmation from the hotel about my reservation and decided to contact them directly. After doing so, I was informed that I did not have a reservation for a suite but only a deluxe room. When I gave them the confirmation number provided to me by Expedia stating that I had been confirmed in Nov 2017 for a suite, I was told that this confirmation number didn't mean anything to them. I then called Expedia customer service to see if they could rectify the matter. When I explained to the rep my situation, I was told that it appeared that my reservation was for a deluxe room and not a suite. When informed about my conversations back in Nov, the rep said he would call the hotel and see what he could do.

After contacting the hotel, I was informed that the hotel stated that back in Nov, they had not told the Expedia rep that I had reserved a suite but rather that a suite was available if I wanted to reserve it. The Expedia rep said that the only remedy was to cancel the original reservation and re-book the suite at a higher price without the full breakfast. The new cost for the room and air would be $4,462.37 or an increase of $562.00. If I chose to not have the full breakfast, it would still cost me $3,960.85 or $60.48 more than my original suite reservation with breakfast and this reservation was non-refundable where my original reservation had been refundable up to two weeks before departure. Needless to say, I was not happy.

I requested a supervisor who agreed that if I re-booked, the best he could do would be to offer me a $100 credit to more than cover the $60.48 additional cost although now I had to get breakfast on my own. I did re-book for the higher price knowing that I was originally scammed by Expedia by charging me a suite price when I only booked a room at cost of almost $500 more. I then lost my full breakfast daily which I had to pay for at the hotel which cost me an additional $308 for my trip. So totally, I ended up paying approximately $750.00 more for my trip thanks to Expedia's "bait & switch" tactics. Some of this is a lesson for me. I realize now that I should have addressed the issue with the hotel back in November 2017 when I didn't get confirmation in writing. I will be more attentive next time. Needless to say, Expedia will not be on my list of travel services that I will be using in the future.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I pre-booked a transfer via Expedia from our hotel in Beverly Hills to airport for our return flight home. I confirmed with the company in the morning. Car didn't show up and we were nearly late for our flight as we then had to wait for a taxi. I have called Expedia 7 times regarding a refund since I returned home and each time the staff lie and advise that it is being processed but today a staff member advised that the refund has been cancelled! It has been 5 weeks and I am still waiting for my refund. I will never use Expedia again. It's not reliable and too hard to contact anyone for help.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I just wanted a w removed off the name Cooper. After 4 times calling them and was told it was removed. You look at it and it is still there. They did not remove it. Will not be able to catch the flight. Expedia put it on there and they refuse to remove it, so we can not get through TSA. Thanks a lot for the trouble and the hassle. What is so hard about removing the w out of Coopwer.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We booked a car with InterRent, and paid Expedia £211 online. Once we reached the InterRent offices, we were asked to pay £277 for the car - we asked them 3 times and told them that we did not expect to pay anything, as we had paid online but we were ASSURED by the car vendor that nothing was charged online, and that the additional £50 was just mandatory insurance. A few days later, both charges appear on our bank statements. We go through a 2 months complaints service with Expedia, and first, they do not reply to any message or email, and when you call them, they just refer you to email.

Then I had to use Twitter and when I called them out publicly, I finally got a response. They investigated, and the company told them that we paid the £277 for 'additional insurance'... we asked them 3 times and were PROMISED we wouldn't get charged both times, and Expedia just said 'there is nothing we can do about it, you are on your own'. The whole point of going through Expedia is to have added protection from scam artists, and over here, we were conned and Expedia could not have been more helpful. I will never dream of using them again, I urge everyone else to do the same.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I gave them a one star only because there was not a zero star option. As I sit here on hold for the second time "on hold" for more than 30 mins trying to correct my wife's name on our reservation. Two minutes after I made the reservation I reviewed the confirmation of the trip online and discovered the mistake. I immediately contacted Expedia to have the wrong name corrected.

The first thing they wanted me to do was cancel my reservation and start over. NO, I like the reservations and my seat selection and I don't want to take a chance to screw it up. 45 minutes later I am still on hold, when the representative came back on with one of his wild excuses for me being on hold so long I told him to call me back I wasn't going to wait on the phone any longer. They called me back in 10 minutes and said the name had been changed with the airlines. I called the airlines the next day to confirm but they said the name has not been changed. They instructed me to call Expedia for the correction.

I called Expedia and once again they wanted me to cancel my reservation and do it over. NO, just change the damn name, simple! I am still on hold at 40 min, they switched me to a name change specialist, REALLY? Tired of writing, point is, this kind of customer service should NEVER happen. Buyer beware... next time I will order directly with the airlines.

Original review: April 30, 2018

We booked a hotel in New Zealand through Expedia. However, later we noticed that the booking had gone through for a hotel in the namesake town in Australia. When we booked the place it had shown up under the New Zealand section. Despite having an eyewitness Expedia refused all responsibility. They promised to open a case and look into it. Nothing ever happened. It was an Expedia system fault, but Expedia refuses any responsibility. Stay away from Expedia and their other search engines: Expedia.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire.com, CarRentals.com, Trivago, Venere.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, and HomeAway.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I booked flights through this website where the seats on the plane were assigned. I picked out my seats and everything was good, so I thought the day before I leave for the vacation of a lifetime I learn that the seats that were supposed to be ours were not reserved for us. I called the airline and they directed me back to Expedia. 2.5 hours later nothing was resolved and I did not get what I purchased. I would strongly suggest not using this site to book any vacations that are going to be spectacular, because you will be let down and waste a ton of time correcting something that should have been done from the beginning.

I also would like to add the customer service dept is not helpful and Jessica ** and Dave ** need to find new jobs in a field that doesn't require leaving a positive lasting impression. If they were trained for empathy and problem solving they may need to take a refresher course. My point is book directly through the airlines. The lady there was helpful!!!

Original review: April 30, 2018

I have used Expedia in the past and always had good experiences but recently I booked a rental car through them-or so I thought. Evidently there is an options somewhere that says pay now or pay later. I would have paid now had I known this because I prefer pre-paying as much as possible when I travel but don't ever recall seeing this. So we picked up the car and rather than the $329 price I thought I had paid it cost me $534. When I called to find out why I was told it was because I chose pay later so it was actually the rental car company that charged me. Again I don't recall seeing that option.The additional insurance I bought automatically charged me immediately. So what is the point of renting a car through Expedia? Well live and learn I guess but I will never use them again. Fortunately there are a lot of other options out there now.

Original review: April 29, 2018

In early March I booked a round trip fare through Expedia with hotel to attend a wedding in southern Norway in late May. The total price quoted was approximately $1350, however when I received the bill the price increased approximately $1150 (84%). It took over 2 days and a total 5 + hours of wrangling via phone, numerous times being put on hold indefinitely, lots of transferred and dropped calls. Not to mention conflicting information, outright lies and generally a stiff reluctance to resolve their costly mistake. The 1st day I called they seemed disinterested in hearing my complaint and repeatedly asked if I wanted to cancel. Which included a $300 fee and nonrefundable with only credit with Scandinavian Airlines.

I wasn't satisfied paying a $300 cancelation fee for the travel agency's error, so I persisted. Finally, I was told by an Expedia supervisor they would send me an email after reviewing my case. 5 days later their email stated that the $2882 charge was the standard fare for this itinerary. Clearly a false statement since I have checked the rates for this booking numerous times from early March to late April and they were consistently between $1250-$1350. In addition, I was told I could’ve cancelled my itinerary within 24 hours after receiving my email confirmation. I searched all of my email boxes and never received a confirmation email for this booking from Expedia. After more intense discussion I was offered a $500 refund, which was well short of the overcharge of $1150 and therefore unacceptable.

Finally after another long hold I was offered a $900 refund, which was still probably the best I could hope for minus litigation. Later I tried to cancel and rebook my itinerary for nearly the same price I thought I was paying initially. Nevertheless, Expedia was consistently adverse to resolving this issue in an ethical manner. What I finally offered were two options. One that included no guarantee of the final price if I booked a new itinerary and cancelled the old one. The second choice was if I cancelled the original itinerary first then rescheduling another with a better rate listed on their website I couldn't use my Scandinavian airline credit for this booking. A classic Catch 22. In the end I was literally robbed of approximately $250 and told I should be happy I got a refund (my money!) of $900. After this ordeal I will never do business again with Expedia and advise others to avoid them as well. I am currently considering litigation.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Don't use Expedia - they are rubbish! We booked some activities to do whilst on holiday through the website - paid for them and they were nothing as described. Also couldn't get on one trip because they hadn't booked car seat for baby! Other one instructions were wrong so we missed that as well. Honestly - they couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery that firm. Dreadful.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Booked a hotel through Expedia in March for April 28th till the 29th at the Crown Plaza in Niagara Falls, Canada. Price was $256.00 and Expedia says it has a price guarantee. I rechecked the price and it came down to $196.00 so I phoned them. They said I had to fill out their online form with a screenshot, I tried and could not get it to work asking my kids to help. I gave them all the info. All they would have to have done is spend 1 minute looking up their website to see the price difference but instead took that time to type me a refusal letter, I finally got a screenshot sent to them and they say they could not read it. Of course because they do not want to honor their so called guarantee. Stay away from Expedia. Use Costco Travel.

Original review: April 27, 2018

On February 22, I booked a Galega Self-Catering Studio (a.k.a. Sweet River Lisbon) in Lisbon, Portugal, through ID90TRAVEL.com (a subsidiary of Expedia.com) for four nights, March 18-22, for which I was immediately charged US$301.54 ($394.38 CAD as show on the attached Visa record). Upon check-in, it was clear the studio I was shown (attachment 1) was not the accommodation quarters I had booked online (attachment 2) and we were forced to find more suitable accommodation elsewhere. When we returned from our trip, I contacted Sean at ID90TRAVEL.com, explaining we were victims of a "bait and switch" scam and that we never stayed at the premises originally booked.

While I understood the cancellation policy and had accepted all in good faith, with full intentions of staying at the Galega Studio, the premises were not acceptable -- or safe -- for a 69-year-old woman. I had booked a studio with a normal bed (attachment 2). What I was shown was a foam mattress on a raised platform (attachment 1) located seven feet above my head and accessible only by a narrow steep staircase. I would have literally had to crawl up the steps and into bed to avoid hitting my head! Expedia.com is declining any refund, hiding behind the cancellation policy, refusing to recognize the information on their ID90TRAVEL.com website was misleading and clearly misrepresented the accommodation I thought I had booked.

Since the funds had now been transferred to Sweet River Lisbon's coffers, I contacted Ana at Sweet River Lisbon for a refund. She refuses to accept any responsibility for information posted on the Expedia.com website, saying they are not responsible for what is posted on Expedia.com (I know for a fact that listing clients at Expedia.com submit the information and photos to be posted online.). All this to say that no one is accepting responsibility for the false listing and untruthful email confirmation - not Expedia.com, not Sweet River Lisbon, not ID90TRAVEL.com - yet I am out US$301.54 for unacceptable quarters I never booked or used.

Expedia expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs