3.37/5
Based on 3,235 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

4418 Expedia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been using Expedia for booking flights and hotels a few times already. It has been very reliable. This time I booked a flight from London to Hong Kong. I only found out that I booked the wrong month after I have paid for the ticket. I panicked and rang customer service. The staff was very helpful and he tried to keep me calm. Since I only made the booking in half an hour, he was able to give me a full refund. I am very grateful that a full refund is available since it was my mistake. This definitely makes me feel very confident with this company and will continue to use this website.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had to write a review to highlight the amazing customer service I had with Expedia yesterday. I am heading to San Diego, but due to illness and a doctor's appointment, I had to delay my trip by one day. I called to switch my hotel reservation and spoke with Eric. He said that normally, the hotel won't make any changes and will still charge me for the extra night, but said he'd speak with them to try and make the change anyway. After waiting on hold for a bit, Eric came back on to say that he'd convinced the hotel to make the change and give me a refund for the night I wouldn't be there! I was so grateful! It's so refreshing to have people like Eric working in customer service. He truly understand what it is to provide amazing customer service!

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I recently booked a hotel on the Oregon Coast for a weekend. The evening before my trip (and day before the stay) I received a notice from Expedia that the Hotel had cancelled my reservation/booking due to "construction". Weird? Was this construction decided at the last minute? It didn't matter - I had a problem. I called the number for Expedia customer support given in the notice. They were on top of it... Super helpful... and somehow found a room for me and Barnaby (my Golden-doodle) at a nearby hotel. That hotel charged more, but Expedia made up the difference. Wow! It seems like every time I try anyone other than Expedia or Orbitz, I come to regret it. Expedia has risen to the top of my Favorites list. I hope they stay there.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Will try and keep it short and simple. Purchased a flight to Cabo and paid the added cost for price match promise. Received about 3 emails congratulating me on better price matches that added up to $166.28. Read the terms and conditions that clearly stated to wait after our flight and then call and ask for our price match refund. When we called customer service... which of course is an overseas Indian service! They tried to tell me that I wasn't eligible for my refund because I called after my flight! Whaaaa! Immediately asked for U.S. customer service which I was denied. I was passed along to a manager/supervisor and was offered a $166.28 credit on my next purchase, which I turned down!!!

At this point, I was upset and demanded a US representative. After 1.5 hours on the phone... I finally got through! Within 5 minutes my refund was applied and was offered an apology. I had to ask... "What went wrong? Is your program a scam? Should I not purchase this plan going forward?" Simple answer: "Our overseas Customer service was confused and didn't understand." Hmm... Not sure I believe it 100%, but in my opinion they are trained to give future credits not refunds! Btw, not only did I get our rightful refund, but I also got a $200 credit towards my next purchase. I will give them 4 stars out of 5, but they really need to fix this problem asap!!! If, it wouldn't have taken me 1.5 hours of my time... They would have gotten 5 stars.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

My son had to have surgery hours away from home so we needed a hotel for 1 night. I chose Travelodge based on reviews and price... BIG MISTAKE! The man at the front was incredibly rude and unhelpful... But then we got to our parking area for our "room". There were people a few feet away from myself and my 2 children who are under the age of 4, just watching us and talking in a foreign language while watching us -- I tried to quickly unload my children and luggage in the pouring rain to get to safety... I immediately had a headache from the smoke smell and the walls, doors, couch, remote, bed, bathroom and floors looked DISGUSTING! I went in full panic attack mode.

Now, I called Expedia customer service to try and help us out of the current horror and boy did they deliver! Al, the customer service lady got my reservation canceled, and booked me a new very nice hotel that was closer to the hospital within 15 mins and she stayed on the phone with me the whole time. I had a VERY stressful day but with her help at least my 2 children and I are comfy and safe before a stressful situation tomorrow. I will use Expedia again and again!!! THANK YOU.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: May 23, 2019

My wife and I booked a trip to Lebanon. In the beginning, all went through but after one week money was sent back to credit card and we called Expedia and one agent claimed that our previous booking has fallen and we have to make a new one. We asked him many times if he was sure what he’s saying and said yes. As a result, We proceeded to book again and for our surprise after another week we realized our credit card was charged again previous reservation and new one. We called them again and they said that we shouldn’t have made two reservation because now airline doesn’t want to cancel it and they don’t want to get us back the money. They literally charged us twice a reservation. And we are due more than 6000$ on debt by their fault. We’ve waiting for more than a week to be contacted by head office. Very disappointed. Never ever will use the app again.

Original review: May 23, 2019

This description is deceiving. This excursion is not for 3 year olds. I took my 2 3 year old grandchildren and Immediately they were terrified. My husband had to get off and take my 2 grandchildren so he could enjoy the excursion that we paid for. I wasted 3 excursion fees.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I haven't had a problem with Expedia in the last six or so years we've used them for our family trips, until this year. Our problem, which was related to not getting an airline ticket refund they their agent assured me that I'd receive, was escalated three times to their highest tier of support (to their Corporate Office). Ironically, it's at the highest levels of Expedia where we found a culture that sorely lacked accountability, empathy and interest in the customer experience.

This nightmare began when American Airlines suddenly canceled our flight to Mexico and offered to book us on another flight the next day. Understanding our interest in leaving on the day we originally planned to leave, Desiree, a representative in Expedia's Corporate Office, recommended that we let her cancel the AA tickets we purchased through expedia.com, and then purchase tickets separately on a different airline. Although there was an added cost to purchasing the tickets last minute, we moved forward with Desiree's suggestion after she confirmed that she successfully processed the AA refund on our behalf and that we should receive reimbursement within 6 weeks.

Fast forward two to three weeks later to when we receive an email from AA stating that our refund would not be issued, given that the tickets were "non-refundable." I called Expedia again to ask for help, highlighting the conversation I had with Desiree, and I was put in touch with Mark in their Customer Support team / Corporate Office. Mark immediately went on the defensive, noting how they have no control over the situation and cannot provide me with any help or compensation. When I referred to Desiree's previous guidance that I'd get a refund from AA and to simply purchase another flight, Mark stated that "You didn't have to take [her advice]" and that she should not have assured me that a refund was coming. Wow. No compensation (or coupon), no apology, no sympathy whatsoever. The agent was combative and defensive, and guaranteed me that "no compensation will be provided for you today."

Of course, I understand that ultimately AA is the entity that charged me for the tickets (and I intend to file a dispute with my credit card company), but this is just shameful customer service from Expedia's top tier of "Support." While they admit their agent mistakenly led me to believe that I'd receive a refund and highlighted no risks, they refuse to provide any assistance in resolving the matter with AA or even offer a "make good" coupon / credit for their bad advice and our subsequent troubles.

This was an extremely disappointing experience and costly lesson that had a negative impact on us financially and required hours and hours of escalations and remaining on hold. It showed just how poorly Expedia responds when things get bad. After many years of being a customer, this is one service we will not be returning to.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Expedia owns VRBO. They are liars and thieves. This company lies to their customers and does not tell the truth. They asked us if we wanted to book condo. Neglected to tell us they were a third party reservation. They never informed us of hidden charges and payment arrangements. NEVER do business with them.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Warning - Warning - Warning Do Not Use Expedia. I was searching for a hotel with an indoor pool in Portland, Maine. I finally choose Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland Airport which was listed among all the other hotels in Portland, Maine. It was not until we were driving into Portland trying to find the hotel that we realized that this hotel was in Portland, OREGON. When we called Expedia, they basically said, "Too bad for you - we are not refunding your money." When we tried to scramble to find another hotel in Portland - guess what!! This hotel popped up again as a listing for a hotel in Portland, MAINE!! There was no way to know that we were fooled and our money was swindled.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I had booked and paid in advance for a 4-star hotel in Austin. On landing at the airport, I couldn't find Google marker for any such hotel. Looked up the voucher and reached an address to find that what was booked as 'Arty South Congress' turned out to be 'Lola Apartment'. There is absolutely no human being to reach out to, in order to explain what I had booked. Automated email sent me a room number and pass code of the lock right before the check-in time. This magical code opened the door to a room in the basement.

The apartment doesn't have Water, TV, Housekeeping, Room Service, Breakfast place (obviously, given that it's the only place in the basement). There is no human being to reach out to. It is also infested with insects. There is a number that I am supposed to call at in case of any emergency. Nobody picks up that number. This is for 118 USD per night, booked in advance for 3 nights. Have taken enough pictures of the dungeon that was passed off to me as a 4-star hotel.

Must be punished for such a fraud.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Sorry place. Do not go thru them. They charge your card over 1000 a week in advance and talk about can have refund in 3 business day. Ruined my daughter graduation trip. DON'T BOOK through Expedia.com. Whole trip is ruined and rerouting our visit.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I rented a car through Expedia and my experience was horrible. When I reached to pick the car, I was asked to pay almost double as Budget/Avis, told me that I need to pay separately for BOOSTER CAR SEAT and ripped me with $ 41 for 2 days. I could have purchased a BOOSTER CAR SEAT at half the price. What a SHAME!!! The BOOSTER CAR SEAT was included as part of the booking with Expedia which they refused so conveniently later. I will never use Expedia services ever again.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Pet Friendly Hotel Scam. We were traveling by car with our 2 dogs. I booked a hotel in Anacortes, Washington (Sunrise Resort) after filtering for "pet-friendly" on Expedia. A fee of $260 Cdn was put on my card immediately since we were only 2 days away from the date. The Sunrise was the 7th booking we had made on this trip and all were pet-friendly. Closer to the date, I phoned the hotel to ask about the pet fee - this had always been separate on this trip. We were told that they had never been pet-friendly. So we asked to cancel and get a refund. No way. They claimed it was an Expedia problem. I spoke to 2 Expedia agents over almost 2 hours. Most of that time I was on hold on my cell phone in the US where I pay roaming charges. Apparently, agents are not allowed to call customers back unless it is a dropped call. Crazy.

Long and short, we were charged $260 and did not have a place to stay. We were told that the refund was up to the hotel, and Expedia could not do anything about it. Later, we search other sites - Google, Booking.com, etc. and all sited the Sunrise as being pet-friendly. The pet fee SHOULD be part of the contract AT THE TIME OF THE BOOKING SO YOU CAN MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BOOKED THE RIGHT PLACE AND YOU KNOW WHAT IT WILL COST.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Every time I use Expedia I end up with fraudulent credit card charges. One time a flight was made on my card. So I used a different card the next time for my Expedia purchase and the same thing happens again on that card. Super frustrating!!! I will not use Expedia again!

Original review: May 18, 2019

I booked a flight from Male to Heathrow yesterday ‘excellent flight’ one stop at Abu Dhabi 14h15min. Several hours later I get my confirmation and it has an extra stop in COLOMBO which I would never have booked with the current unrest. When I got on to chat line they said it was because I booked through a 3rd party site and flight was not available. I sent screenshot of flight I booked and, and also mentioned it was still on offer. They would not correct this flight to the one I booked. It was booked directly on Expedia site. The flight is still showing as available 27 hours later!!! They said they have refunded me but it is almost 19 hours and I still don’t have confirmation email for refund. They told me at 9.37 today it was sent and would take 5-10 minutes, and at 10.53 still not here AND THE ONE STOP FLIGHT THAT I BOOKED IS STILL SHOWING AS AVAILABLE!

Original review: May 17, 2019

When booking my flight via Expedia I called the company to double check the flight could be changed during the allocated 12 months due to being unsure about when I would be able to fly back to Canada (from Australia, depending on VISAs). I was given the ok that I could change the flight but would have to pay the airline fee. No problem. Now, I am trying to change my flight, and Expedia will not allow me to change it. I spoke to one person who said I could, he directed me to Air Canada. File is locked to Expedia, so I was sent back there. This time I am told it can not be changed. 5 hours later on international calling I still have no answers and have spent most of those 5 hours on hold.

I was given 4 different answers as to why they can't change the ticket making it hard to believe anything they say, and I was transferred to different people more than 5 times. I've also been told they can not refund a ticket, which I then asked 'but you can refund a ticket within 24 hours of being bought?!!!' No direct answer to that either. Now I am waiting for the corporate office to contact me in regards to either changing my ticket or refunding. Never mind the 5 hours I spent just trying to talk to someone. I am very very disappointed with this horrible experience. I will not be using your services again! There is no customer care and seems to be no truth or knowledge on this subject.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Booked a hotel reservation on April 29, 2019 in West Orlando, Florida. Were given the wrong address. When got to Travelodge Hotel in Orlando, it was East. There were no available rooms and were told that they did not know what time there would be any availability. Asked for refund. Was "processed" on May the 2nd. To this date, 14 days later, still no refund. Have made multiple calls to no avail. Never again booking through this online commerce.

Original review: May 14, 2019

My original flight was cancelled, and I was re-booked on a different flight. Since it did not fit into my plans, I called the airlines and tried to cancel it. The Airlines told me I had to proceed through Expedia, as I booked the flight with Expedia. I tried, and tried, and tried to talk to people in Expedia... After multiple emails and calls over 30 days period, I got an e-mail with the reference case number. The email read that Expedia held a refund voucher for me, and that I had to call Expedia to receive the refund.

After spending 4 hours on the phone with 4 or 5 different representatives, I was informed, that no one can find the voucher number, and that I would receive a call back the next day. I did not receive the call back. So I called myself back 2 weeks later. I talked to 4 different representatives, over 2 hours and a half. I was told to "not overreact", when I expressed my concern and annoyance with the lack of Expedia's professionalism. And I still don't have a resolution.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Rented a car in Grand Cayman through Expedia and purchased the rental insurance. Upon arrival at Thrifty Car Rental they tell you immediately that they do not accept third party insurance and point out the sign on their counter. They would not accept the insurance I purchased through Expedia or use my credit card insurance. They told me to contact Expedia after my trip to get a refund. I ended up paying twice as much to get the insurance through Thrifty and when I returned home Expedia refuses to refund my money.

I have contacted them several times, they continue to lie and say Thrifty tells them they accept third party insurance. I even sent the picture of the sign on the counter and they completely ignore it and say they investigated the claim and Thrifty advised they accept the insurance. I called Thrifty in Grand Cayman again and my answer was we DO NOT accept any other insurance and Expedia is well aware of that, that this is an ongoing issue with Expedia. Contacted Expedia again today and am waiting for a response, next step is disputing the charge my credit card, what a ridiculous situation. I would not even think of using Expedia again!

Original review: May 11, 2019

I booked a round trip ticket through Expedia from Seattle to Jacksonville, Florida. When it came time to fly back to Seattle I came to the airport with my two children ages 2 and 4 (something Expedia was well aware of because I bought each child a ticket and indicated their ages) and I was traveling alone with them. The first flight was to go to Detroit and then on to Seattle. I learned that this was not a actually a connection but rather an entirely separate flight. They wanted me to pay two separate baggage fees for each flight since they were technically 2 separate flights (not the round trip tickets I requested and paid for through Expedia and paid an extra service fee to Expedia). Then they wanted me to get off in Detroit, claim my bags, go back to the ticket counter, check the bags again and go through security again to board the next flight to Seattle. This was again because it was a separate flight and not a connection.

This was not what I paid for through Expedia. Yes the airline (Spirit) was awful as well. So when I got to the airport and the flight was delayed there was no way I could make this “separate flight” and there were no other flights to accommodate me with this airline. So I had to stay the night in Jacksonville with my two kids with no accommodations offered by either the airline or Expedia. We then were rebooked on the same flight the next day (the only thing Spirit could do. I then called Expedia. After 3 hours on the phone and speaking with the regional manager (who initially was trying to get us another flight but told me Expedia would have to eat the cost and the cost was too much to get us back to Seattle) told me there was nothing they could do and it was the airline's fault. She would not accommodate us in any way.

We arrived to the airport the next day and as I was checking in the exact same delay occurred (I also learned the exact same delay had occurred the day before we started this process). So three days the same delay occurred. Spirit finally booked us on a Delta flight and I had to pay baggage fees again since I had already paid on Spirit, Delta told me I still had to pay them and pursue Spirit. In the end, I did not get what I paid for and no accommodations were offered. My father had an equally bad experience with Expedia just three weeks prior to this. Overall, an awful experience and something should be done to prevent things like this.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I made a reservation online with Expedia for a hotel room. Within seconds upon receiving confirmation, I noticed I had scheduled incorrect dates. At that moment I called an Expedia representative to cancel and make corrections. The rep informed me that they could refund me but would keep $200 of the refund due to their cancelation policy. I was stunned! I spoke with 3-4 different representatives within the 3 days following. I was told at first they could not do the full refund, then I was told they would within the next 24 hours. I called within the 24 hour time frame. The rep I spoke with informed me she would give $50 of the $200. I held on for 40 minutes until they finally agreed to pay the full amount. I was sent a confirmation email after 40 minutes of haggling. Word of advice, they will refund you but you must be persistent. They are ripoffs and I'll never do a reservation with them.

Original review: May 10, 2019

If I could rate ZERO I would. Booked a hotel through Expedia and was sent an email on the total price. My card was charged and additional $185 for booking fees. Ridiculous amount! Approximately 50 per night extra just to book through Expedia. Booking directly with the hotel would have been less expensive. I called to dispute and 1hr and 40 minutes, 4 people later and and passed from Expedia to Orbitz as they each site claimed the reservation was made by the other affiliate. AFTER all that - the best they could do was give a "credit".

Requested a refund and was told I would have to continue to hold and speak to another supervisor for a refund investigation. I am sure the long wait, layers of people is Expedia's way of frustrating customers to give up on complaints. VERY dishonest company and never recommend anyone to use Expedia to book anything! Positive if a refund was granted it would have taken weeks to show on my statement and most likely additional phone calls. Very disappointing. This company has been permitted to rob people and allowed to continue as a legitimate business.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I booked two hotel rooms for an upcoming trip. With their hotel price guarantee I'm supposed to be able to price match this price until the day before travel. The current price of these rooms are $68.17 per night for all three nights with a fee/tax of $9.54 which is a total of $466.28 and due at property $251.70. On March 12th when I booked the two rooms and price matched I paid May 11th $179.28, May 12th $71.28, May 13th $71.28 with a tax/fee of $43.07 per room for a grand total paid $672.72, $440.02 was paid in points and $232.70 was charged to my Expedia card with a fee due at property of $251.70.

This equals a difference of $206.44 which Expedia refuses to refund because they can't complete elementary school mathematics and understand the difference in the price. I have had gold status with them for 4 yrs as I travel multiple times a year. I will never use your company again and will let everyone know that your customer service is a complete scam.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I booked Embassy Suites in Orlando and noticed the next day TripAdvisor had the same room for $25 less! I received an email on how to submit a hotel price guarantee form. THIS FORM IS IMPOSSIBLE TO COMPLETE, I THINK PLANNED THAT WAY. EASY FIX. STOP USING EXPEDIA. GO WITH TRIP ADVISOR.

Original review: May 9, 2019

5 months ago I booked a cruise through Expedia. I didn't do it because it was cheaper than other booking sites (it wasn't). I booked it through Expedia because they offered a $200 onboard credit if I paid using my MasterCard. Done. I paid the booking in full using my MasterCard and filled out the redemption form... couldn't wait for all the drinks and daycare this would afford me!

Fast forward 5 months and I'm on day 2 of my 8 day cruise. Still no credit! Using the cruise lines' phone, I spent 30 minutes (20 of which was on hold) talking to Expedia customer service to learn that because I purchased an upgrade using a Visa card (my daily roller) I was immediately disqualified for the $200 credit. To clarify, because I bought something EXTRA, I was disqualified for the benefit of my previous purchase. That's like a grocery store refusing to honor a "buy one get one free" deal because you bought 3 instead of 2.

Not only because I feel like I got swindled out of $200 that I was promised, nor because I was forced to spend 20 minutes listening to that blaring and atrocious "on-hold" music (so, so bad! ), but because I feel like I can no longer trust Expedia to honor their promises, I am rating them 1 star and have no intention in giving them my business ever again.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I logged onto Expedia.com.my to purchase a Malindo Airline flight from Kuala Lumpur to Langkawi. During booking process, Expedia website instructs me to revert to airline to purchase check in baggage allowance. Several emails over FOUR weeks with Malindo finally reveals my ticket does NOT allow any check in baggage! (Yep, over nearly 40 hears of flying, I've never heard this before!). I contacted Expedia for assistance, but no reply from Expedia at all, just repeated template replies (Greetings from Malindo!...) as if my emails have automatically been redirected to Malindo by Expedia!

Finally, I emailed Expedia to request for cancellation of my ticket, quoting Sales of Goods Act under UK law since I bought the ticket from UK. I finally got a call from Malindo at 0530 hrs this morning, and got a 30 kg allowance confirmed at RM 318! So RM 318 for check luggage coupled with my original flight ticket cost of RM 90, totaling RM 400, I could have got a MAS ticket for the same flight for less! Moral of this story, I will NEVER fly Malindo again (their motto; Smarter way to fly??? For who?) and neither will I ever use Expedia again. Avoid both!

Original review: May 8, 2019

I booked a rental car through Expedia, and while booking I was prompted to purchase insurance before finalizing the transaction, which I did. Once I arrived at Priceless car rental I was told that my credit card would cover my insurance and that I needed to call Expedia and ask for a refund. I called and the representative called Priceless to confirm that my credit card covered the insurance, they said it did but because Priceless honors the insurance that I purchased through Expedia, I couldn't get a refund, although I didn't need it. Total B.S... They are such liars!

Original review: May 7, 2019

EXPEDIA SCREWED ME OUT OF an additional $25 added to room, via a resort fee! I could have booked the room myself for $30 cheaper!!! Expedia customer service does NOT exist, try it if you don't believe me. Expedia knows they screwed you, look at what my survey says when I tried to revise this abortion of a reservation. GO TO WEBSITE TRUST PILOT AND SEE THE REAL STORY!!! EXPEDIA IS RUBBISH!!!! "Thank you for clicking through to the Expedia feedback survey. Unfortunately there has been an issue and the survey is unavailable on this occasion. We appreciate your time and thank you for your intentions. We try to ask every customer who books with Expedia what they think about us and we use this feedback to gather information that will help us improve our products and services."

Original review: May 7, 2019

I booked a flight to my friend, and when my friend went to the airport, he couldn't take the flight because he doesn't a visa for a transit country which wasn't mention while I’m booking the flight. I called Expedia several time but no response. Really I’m very disappointing and this is the last time to deal with this thing and I will share my bad experience with all my social network. Sherif.

Expedia expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

• Best for: Domestic, international and budget travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs