3.4/5 (1391 ratings)

About Expedia

Expedia Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

Expedia's booking system misspelled a name so an é turned into ??, which was removed altogether on the ticket, thus the name on the passport did not correspond with the passport. Expedia just flatly refused to have it corrected. Deep in their rules it is buried that they have no responsibility for misspellings, not even if they are the ones creating them! Do note that THEY OWN the booking -not you, the customer. So you cannot do a thing about it yourself. SPent 7 months agonizing over what will happen -will we get on board the planes or not? As it turned out, we did, although the airline´s computers at the in- and outbound gates protested at the mismatch. Avoid them whatever you do, there are professionals on the market, use them instead, and have a better experience. Expedia is NOT trustworthy.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

This company is horrible and a scam. I booked 3 rooms on the 24th of September 2022. I canceled 1 room the same day, ever since then I've been trying to get refunded as they promised to do so and nothing. Do not use these guys, I have to involve my lawyers on Expedia to apply my refund but they will be paying much more!

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

On 9/21/2022 I booked a rental car online on Expedia for an upcoming trip in November. Upon putting all of my personal information, including credit card into Expedia, I pressed on and submitted the reservation. The message I received back was that “something went wrong”. So I repeated loading all my info again and submitted again, receiving back the same message. So I abandoned. Less than 2 hours later I opened 2 emails from Expedia with 2 reservations and 2 charges to my credit card for $404 each.

I contacted Expedia by phone to cancel one and was told that there would be a $100 cancellation fee applied by the rental agency, Sixt. I told the agent to cancel both and that I expected full refunds and she told me to contact Sixt, which I did. Sixt said that is their policy to charge $100 for any type of cancellation, even within minutes of transaction, and that I would need to negotiate with Expedia for the refund. Expedia says sorry but nothing they can do…. So I am out $200 and don’t even have a car rental to show for it!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

Bought a Spirit Airline ticket thru Expedia. Bought Expedia Insurance. My business plan changed and the insurance only covers your death, Covid or war. It does not cover 99% of why you would cancel. They would not even consider my claim until I cancelled my flight. Spirit was charging $99 to cancel my flight. So I had to pay more money to have them deny my coverage. Never buy the insurance and never fly Spirit.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

My lady and I booked a flight. They changed her date for the trip. We called Expedia and canceled the flight. Expedia never canceled the flight. We were found as a no show. Now we are out over $1,200.00 but wtf. And I was a silver member.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Their website would not confirm any bookings and asked to try again. After trying without success a few times, I was notified a bit later that all duplicate reservations went through. They were unwilling to waive the $100 cancellation fee for each duplicate reservation. $400 in fees for their website errors...that hurts so much.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

I've used Expedia for years as a Gold member but no more. They send us an email saying our reservation is cancelled then we call and they say it is not cancelled. 3-4 hrs wasted. Finally just got our own hotel.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Buyer beware: Expedia scammed me out of my refund by canceling my travel insurance instead of canceling my booking. Now I don't have travel insurance for my booking and I can not receive a refund from my hotel. I search for an email and all I found was this, help@expedia, I received an email from that address saying that the email address was retired. After talking to customer support several times, I received an email saying I am not entitled to receive a refund because the hotel will not give one because I canceled my insurance, no Expedia canceled my insurance. I am going to report Expedia to the BBB and any other consumer reporting agency I can find. My friends and I will create a TikTok campaign exposing Expedia's unfair business practices to promote "Do not make reservations through Expedia or any other 3rd party booking agency. Just find the deal and book through the businesses directly."

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

I booked a reservation through them for two nights hotel stay by the beach. I learned that one of my family members couldn't make it so I clicked on the "Manage Booking" button in the original confirmation email and followed all of of the steps to cancel the booking. One week later I check my credit card statement and see both night hotel stays charged even though I cancelled and didn't show up. I looked through my emails and saw that no confirmation email was ever provided when I cancelled. This is very sketchy and basically scammed me out of $200. This is very terrible hotel booking experience I have in the 30 years I have been booking trips. Their customer service is nonexistent and the website doesn't have a phone number to call. Better to book directly with hotel or a different website.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

Booked a trip in March to Dominican because it was 100% refundable up to 1 week prior to departure. Called regarding a possible cancellation and everything changed. Asked for a transcript and they called back three times, no return number, no email as only outgoing, then I called back and they closed the file as I didn’t respond to an email and phone message you couldn’t respond to. I called again and now they don’t keep the transcripts for more than 3 months and they continue to cite me the policy, total **. I am going to sue based on principle, lying and deceitfulness. Never book with these con artist, you will regret it.

Expedia author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1996, Expedia is one of the oldest online travel companies. It was created by a team at Microsoft.

• Hotel price guarantee: Expedia will not only match lower offers but also give customers $50 for finding cheaper rates.

• Expedia+points: Purchases earn travelers points that they can exchange for discounts.

• +VIP Access: +VIP Access members get free amenities and services at select hotels.

• Visitor guides: Expedia provides visitor guides to help vacationers find interesting things in their destination cities.

• Mobile deals: The Expedia mobile app gives users access to exclusive deals.

Expedia Company Information