Cruises.com

Compare Travel Agencies

Research top Travel Agencies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

THIS IS A FORMAL COMPLAINT TOWARDS YOUR COMPANY. ON March 21, 2016. I spoke to Shannon ** (Who is conveniently out of the office this week) to discuss booking a cruise. Due to the fact that I called, I received the NO DEPOSIT package, which I understood as that money was excluded from my final payment. However, on August 1st, I was charged $500 to Cruise.com which apparently was my pay back for the DEPOSIT that Shannon said Cruises.com pays. I believed that this $500 was going toward the final payment to Royal Caribbean. After my invoice said I still owed $1500 after a few days I called Cruises.com again to figure the situation out, and explain why I still owed $1500 when I just made a $555.56 payment.

Ebony (who did not mention her last name when asked) was completely useless and was very rude to me, when I seemed confused. When I demanded to speak to Shannon who originally booked my cruise, after being on hold for 5+ minutes, I was told she was out of the office until Tuesday, august 9th. Finally, after realizing that EBONY COULD NOT HELP ME, and I demanded to speak to her supervisor, it was determined that he read straight from a script that explains the lying process of the NO DEPOSIT package, because it was clear that this must happen to many other unsuspecting clients. WES (who also didn't say his last name) told me he couldnt do anything but transfer my $500 to Royal Carribean and then still pay the same $500 back to them for the ** UP NO DEPOSIT Package.

After 26 minutes of being on hold, being told I was clueless and that everything was listed on my invoice, they kindly asked me for my credit card info, because yes every 21 year old JUST HAS $1500 laying around, $1500 they never agreed to pay. This was TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! Shannon ** COMPLETELY LIED TO ME when explaining the process of the NO DEPOSIT package. Ebony was RUDE when I seemed confused about why I owned $1500 still. Wes, read straight from a script and offered no help to me, except claiming that just "handing out money to the cruise lines, would be a bad business arrangement". This cruise is supposed to be for my honeymoon. And I am thinking of demanding my money back and canceling. I need to speak to someone who is in charge of Wes. I am expecting a callback today. If not, I will continue to work my way up to get the situation dealt with.

I booked a cruise that was advertised as "No Deposit Required" yet they charged my credit card $200. As soon as I noticed it - I called them and they told me They were going to charge me $100 cancellation fee - yet the cruise was booked and cancelled within the hour. And I cancelled because they charged me $200 booking fee - I am so upset - they mislead me and lied and charged my credit card initially $200 - false advertising - then robbed me of $100 to cancel. They are a bunch of crooks and no one should ever book thru them.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Cruises.com refunded the $100 cancellation fee that I was not told about without any communication or me asking for it after my initial rejection. That was a very stand up thing to do. For the right deal, and on a cruise with no chance of cancelling, I would still consider using them again.

Tim of Valencia, CA on

Original Review

I booked through Cruises.com to save 75 over the Carnival site. I was concerned we would need to cancel for work reasons when I booked, and very specifically asked about cancellation fees. The lady I booked with said there was no cancellation fee, and only the cruise line cancellation policy would apply, and that the booking fee of $25 was non-refundable which I would lose. So I took her at her word, and placed a higher "refundable" deposit with that assumption.

Today I called to cancel, and the lady I spoke to today mentioned that there is indeed a $100 cancellation fee to Cruises.com, and that it said so on my invoice. Of course, once I went back and checked my invoice, that was indeed the case right below the cruise line cancellation policy. Of course the invoice comes after booking so... Maybe I shouldn't be as shocked as I am, but considering how specific my questions were when I booked I am still extremely disappointed. While they were quite friendly on the phone, blatant lies or really wrong information don't exactly sit well with me.

They lied to me. They offered me onboard credit and they told me when I go into the ship I can have my onboard credit applied to my bill but Royal Caribbean could not verify any credit! When I called Cruises.com, Cruises.com told that they never offered me a credit!?! I was shocked. Buy directly from cruise lines, believe me it will be cheaper. Cruises.com is a scam!! Avoid!! I wish I saw this website sooner.

I booked a cruise with Cruises.com. The person over the phone told me I was getting a 2-bedroom suite, come to find out they booked me in a room with a queen bed and a couch. It was supposed to be me (24-year old), my 16-year old brother and my 56-year old mother. They told us we would lose half the cost of the cruise to cancel it and have to pay to change it. NEVER BOOK WITH THEM, THEY LIE AND SCAM YOU. It ended up being cheaper through Norwegian's website to book it and I would have gotten more perks from the cruise to do it that way.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cruises.com?

I booked a family cruise and had a couple of cabins. They charged me a processing fee of $25 and insurance of $117. I had tried for 5 weeks to make a payment on my gift and I was not allowed to because the cabins were in my children's names! When I logged onto our reservations it stated that it was paid in full--only $142 was paid! After calling numerous times there was a note in their system saying I could pay, but I still couldn't pay online and when I called I could only pay on my account!

After 5 weeks of frustration and chasing them around I rebooked my cruise (family gift) thru RCI and was immediately able to make payments on everyone's account, log in their info or get anyone to call me back. I cancelled the trip. It cost me $125 per cabin to cancel - for a total of $500! Norwegian didn't charge a cancellation fee as the trip was 275 days away! Paid $500 for customer UN-Happiness!!! I would recommend that you book elsewhere as the insurance didn't cover cancellation as RCI does...

I made the reservation on 9/11/2015. I paid $196 for the insurance and $124 for the processing fee. On November took another $400 from my credit card. I never got a email, saying that my reservation will be cancelled if I did not pay. No warning whatsoever. I lost in total $720 and no cruise for us. I will never use this company again.

Where do I start!! We booked a cruise February 2014 for April 2015 for 32 passengers. With this said we were promised everything in the world and are having to fight just to get the simplest things. We have yet to even get on the ship and now our agent is all of the sudden gone. I have emailed the manager there and she has since passed me on as well. They will tell you things on the phone however what I have learned is you need to get it in writing because all of the sudden no one has a clue as to what you're talking about. This company has overcharged some passengers, booked some on something called early saver which is the same price but the early savers are just the ones that need to make a change which they say they can charge a fee!! In trying to rectify this problem I was called a liar and given the runaround to say the least.

This has not been a good experience for us at all. Promised a dream and delivered a nightmare. And like I said haven't even set sail and I'm very scared for all of us in our group as they will NOT make it better. Trust me this is only a taste of what we have gone through in the last year and I'm a little nervous posting this before we actually leave. I feel our group will suffer the consequences however I can't recommend this company to anyone.

Booked a cruise online with this company that advertised 'no deposit required' for NCL cruises. (Last day)... It prompted for a credit card, but I did not think anything of it because that would be needed later for charging for the deposit and final payment anyway. Later I learned that I would be charged $500 for the deposit because I had to call in to get the no initial deposit (did not say that on their site anywhere)... Spoke to two customer service persons (no supervisor available) who said they would cancel my cruise but charge me $100.00 to cancel. NEVER again will I use this online company and I will tell anyone who will listen and is willing to read on facebook, etc... that they should not either.

Directed to this website when I clicked on "View Deal" from Cheapair for $82 Bahamian cruise- Cheapair knew nothing about it even though they sent the email- both companies hung up on me when I inquired about the promotion. Please look into these scam companies.

Cruiseonly.com misled us and completely screwed up our vacation. My husband and I are platinum guests with Carnival cruise lines traveling with his parents. I requested that he be placed in the room with his mother and I would be in the room with his father so that we could all check in at the same time. The agent assured us that everything was taken care of, come to find she booked me and my husband in a room and his parents in another. Now they had to wait in a long line instead of being able to check in as a group like we originally intended. This really got our vacation off a bad start. I will never book with this company again nor will I recommend it to anyone.

Different answers, while they seem helpful they give different cruise cost numbers, $24.99 processing fee, $100 fee for any cancellation regardless of how far out the cruise is. Added insurance without asking, don't explained $100 cancellation fee upfront. Worse experience I've ever had. Different price from internet and when question was told, the longer I wait to book that prices will go up. Buyer beware!!!

Have an urgent need to contact my booking agent. Have called at least 6 different times over 5 days with no success. Recorded message will not let me access agents private line as advertised. Either this must be the busiest company in the world or they should have hired more than one customer service operator. If and when I get through, you can rest assured I will not use these people in the future. Customer service my ---------!

I booked a 7 Day Western Caribbean cruise the first of the year Jan.2014 out of Galveston, Texas on Navigator of the Seas Royal Caribbean. I was told that the early booking would include $100.00 on board credit. My Agent was Ann Marie and she gave me her schedule and extension number, I was told also that she was supposed to update me and keep us informed of changes and any information. Well that didn't happen and I left voice mails with no return calls. I was never able to get her on the phone.

I finally called today June 26th and got her on the phone. Ann Marie told me that she doesn't call her clients or keep up with my Booking. I thought travel agents were supposed to do that at least off and on, the Manager said they were supposed to. I know she has a lot of clients but you can at least call or e-mail if the cruise price goes down, which it did and lo and behold no on board credit! I usually do all my booking through the cruise lines but decided to try a Travel Agent, but not again! I suggest go through the PVP through the cruise line directly if you have to do all the checking yourself which I have done in the past and book your hotels directly from the city that cruises go out of! Just poor info and no follow ups at all.

We booked an Alaska cruise, paid the deposit and were told the balance would be automatically charged on the due date. Did not happen, cancelled booking. We re-booked and got a receipt showing the promo perks including a $100 on board credit, did not happen. Called them, they said they told us promo was cancelled. Nope. We used them because the quoted price was cheaper than direct through the cruise line. Turns out they do not include "port charges" and "tax" in the quote, coming out to about $500/person. All the hype about the great deals - nope. Book direct with the cruise line.

Called Cruises.com to book a cruise. The price quoted was $50 more pp than on their site but when I went back to look the price was now $50 more. Not a big deal so I booked the cruise and paid in full (over $3300 total). The next morning the price was down by $50 pp so I called back but I got a message machine. Left 3 messages in 3 days for my TA with no return call. Finally called to talk to anyone about the issue and was told that I could not get a reduction because I paid for the cruise in full. I then looked through their site and saw they have a price match guarantee if you find the cruise advertised for less they will match that price - called back and asked for the price match and was told no, I would have to ask for that when I booked.

I asked for a manager and was told that the person I talked to was a manager. I have always booked through Princess directly and thought I'd save a few bucks and try Cruises.com. BIG BIG mistake! Staff was nice as could be until I paid for the trip and then they would not return my calls and when I called them directly they were rude and put me on hold and gave me excuses. Really? They couldn't even adjust my account for $100 or give me some OBC on a $3300 trip? If this is how they handle something small, I would hate to see what dealing with them over something big would be like! Never again. Can't believe they ever get repeat business.

I have a complaint against the web site CruiseOnly.com. I used the website to search for an Eastern Caribbean cruise and found a good deal with Royal Caribbean cruise line. CruiseOnly.com has a special deal for the August 31, 2014 sailing. I took a snapshot of the web pages with the prices. I called CruiseOnly.com to book the cruise and after a long time on the phone with the agent, I was told the special prices were sold out. I told the agent that I can see their website and the special prices were still there. That didn't help. Shortly after I talked with them, they changed their website and removed the special prices. This is very deceptive. I doubt that anyone got the special prices they listed on their website. They had posted $479 balcony cabin but when I tried to book the cruise, the price turned out to be triple the advertised price.

We booked a cruise on Norwegian to the Bahamas. We booked a 4 day cruise advertised at $279 each. We wanted insurance. Cruises.com double booked us for a total of $2300 within 15 minutes on our credit card of making the reservation. We called Norwegian to get it taken care of and they told us we had to go to Cruises.com. That phone call took 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cruises.com said they would correct the mistake but it would take 5 to 10 business days to make the refund. I said if you can charge my account with in minutes you can credit it within minutes. I was told there was no way and to do that and I would just have to wait.

I was upset and had no fault trip cancellation insurance. They said that I would still be charged $149.99. I said they ruined the trip with their mistake and they were going to charge me $149.99. They said yes and I would have to make the request thru another company that had the trip insurance to get my $1100 back for the cruise less insurance and processing costs. I was furious. Turns out the same company owns Cruises.com and the trip insurance company. The whole bunch are scammers.

I booked a cruise with Cruise.com on the MSC Divina. I questioned my room location prior to the trip as there seemed to be lifeboats in front of our balcony in the pics but was promised that I was not assigned an obstructed view room. I trusted them and was indeed assigned an obstructed view room. There was a lifeboat and crane in our view. I have since called Cruise.com and sent them pics. I have messaged 2 reps and the CEO with no response as of yet. BEWARE!

We purchased trip protection insurance through Cruises.com and was also told that cancelling for a medical condition is automatically included and trip insurance is not needed for that. Well, we had to cancel for medical reasons (my husband became disabled) so I called Cruises.com and after some going back and forth they said that they would refund our trip insurance since that is not needed to cancel for medical reasons. But they will charge us 100.00 to cancel and they want the 100.00 now and will refund our trip insurance in 7-10 days. After going back and forth and him checking with someone, they agreed that they would take the 100.00 fee out of my refund and refund us the net amount.

This fee is not charged by the cruise line, Royal Caribbean but is charged by Cruises.com, which I was not aware of. I will never use a third party to book a cruise again, especially not Cruises.com. So, Cruises.com was losing our business forever and taking 100.00 from a person that just became disabled, worth it to you? This is a poor company with very low morals.

I made my reservations with Cruises.com. Less than a few days later I had to change my plans. Based on the contract I was still allowed to get a full refund for the monies paid. However, Cruises.com refused to refund me my money in full. Rather they kept $100 of my money and substituted it with a voucher only good through their services. To me when services have not been rendered you should not have the ability to steal from your customers. Their voucher is no better than the toilet paper I have at home. It's good for only a few applications but its uses are limited. Cruises.com just reinforced that the customer is not right after all they get to keep your money.

I'm not a big review writer, but had to post something here after seeing the slate of negative reviews. We travel frequently (2 international trips/year) and I usually book cruises directly through the line or through Costco Travel. In this case, the cabins/rates we wanted were sold out, so we took a chance on Cruise.com. Since booking, I have called Cruise.com customer service about 10 times with questions about everything from cancellation to upgrades to dinner time changes to insurance information. Every time, the agents were not only courteous but efficient. Most of the time they had to call the cruise line (which is why I prefer booking directly with the line), but I always felt like they were pushing my agenda with the line in my best interest (even when I was asking about cancellation and it wasn't in Cruise.com's best interest!).

I feel very comfortable embarking on this trip with Cruise.com behind it. I feel like I have dealt with them enough to know, so it's unfortunate to see all the negative reviews.

I called twice and both times, I got hung up on. I’m simply trying to get information whether a trip is even available. On the first, a girl answers and say, “Is this a prank call?”, then hangs up. On the second call, I was able to say, “I need to know if you have the trip.” The girl replied, “You are absolutely right. Thank you, sir. Have a good night.” Click. What the **!

I called and made reservations with Cruises.com for Royal Cruises on August 14, 2012. The advertisement for deals and discounts listed at Cruises.com included an exclusive 3-day sale! With special bonus offers starting with exclusive reduced rates (details), free spending up to $200 (details), free specialty dinner (details), free spa treatment - balcony or suite (details), free air credit (details), special resident discounts (details), special military rates (details). The female agent I spoke with had a very broken English and unable to understand her at times. I repeated to her about the special bonus offers and discounts that I would like to take advantage of during the exclusive 3-day sale! She replied that I do not qualify for all, but some I do.

After reading the details, I qualify for the special military rates, reduced rates, free spending up to $200 and a free spa treatment if I upgrade to a balcony or suite. It was my understanding that I would receive those discounts with a deposit of $24.99 down and final payment received by December 7, 2012 for Royal Caribbean cruise in February 2013. I repeated my email address three times to the agent and also spelling out my email address to be sent to me. I still did not receive mail the next day and I called Cruises.com to inform them so I can confirm my confirmation number. Further action was required and I called Cruises.com so I can update personal data and start making payments. I learned then that I do not qualify for any of the discounts at Cruises.com and I informed them that I should have been informed at that time that I do not qualify for the discounts after making a deposit!

I told them that this was deception and false advertisement and as of September 28, 2012, I canceled my reservations and transferred my account to Royal Caribbean which should be effective October 1, 2012 before close of business. Cruises.com's policy states if I cancel your reservation with them, they will charge a $100.00. I replied to them that I no longer want to do business with them ever again because of false advertisement.

I called to book a cruise today. No deposit required if you call and book the reservation. I called and spoke with an agent, who even had trouble locating this particular cruise. When she finally did it the "manual" way, she informed me that it would still cost me $425.00 + the one time processing fee. She explained that they would put up to $500 on the deposit, but since the cruise line was asking for a $925.00 deposit, I would have to pay the rest now. I told her it was "all over" their website. She said it was hidden in some disclosure somewhere. I clicked on every link and nowhere did it say that, not even in the tiny writing. She argued with me and said it was.

Anyway, I am glad that I found out that they can't be trusted to stick to their word before I paid for anything. I told her to forget it. Please do not confuse Cruises.com with Cruise.com. Cruise.com is awesome. We have booked 6 trips through them and have never had a problem, quite the contrary. We have always been more than pleased! We thought we would try this company with the no deposit required now as the trip I wanted to take is many months in the future. Beware of these people. The representative was not very professional either.

We booked a 7-night cruise with Cruises Only for our 50th wedding anniversary and paid the required deposit months ago. About a week ago, we were advised by Cruises Only that Royal Caribbean has chartered Brilliance Of The Seas and will therefore reduce our 7-night cruise to a 5-night cruise and the original ports of call are reduced by 50 percent. The attitude of Cruises Only was one of " take it or leave it." As the cruise was planned months ago for our 50th celebrations, you may imagine the disappointment and unhappiness that it caused. How on earth can Royal Caribbean do such ghastly deeds?

I booked a cruise for April 2013 with 2 cabins. Their website says it discloses fees before confirmation, but it does not. Now if I want to cancel theses 2 cabins due to a job loss, they will keep $100.00 per cabin and our vacation protection insurance of $158.00 per cabin plus their $24.95 per booking. So I will lose $283.00 times 2 cabins just to cancel this cruise. All cruise lines refund money and insurance if you cancel before penalty, so Cruises.com is keeping the insurance money themselves. You should disclose this first.

I am attempting to make cruise reservations through cruiseonly.com.There's a problem with one of our travelers credit card, we explained that we would call back after problem is solved. Little did we know the money had already been taken out with different amounts not stated by the agent, for some of the travelers in our party. This is no way to conduct a business. You don't take money if the deal doesn't go through especially when the deposit quoted is not the same.

We booked for a September cruise to Mexican Riviera on Carnival. Everything was fine until we had our first night in our cabin. We were directly above the teen room. We were not able to use our room from five to midnight. I find it hard to believe that the room was booked in March. It was our first cruise, and we were given such a terrible room. I am also writing Carnival. I was prepared to just drop this but after talking to veteran cruisers, they said the compensation was not good enough.

In Sept. 2010, I booked a cruise on Carnival Glory in June 2011 for 11 people to celebrate our 50th anniversary. In Feb.2011, I had to cancel because my husband is ill. I had purchased trip cancellation insurance, not through Cruises.com. Cruises.com refuses to send me proof of cancellation, they say it's not their policy to do this.

Yet they are charging me $100 per cabin, $400 cancellation fee. This is ridiculous. How can they charge me for something that they won't acknowledge in writing. The insurance company, Access America, rightly wants proof that I cancelled. Carnival won't help me because I booked through Cruises.com even though they get to keep my deposit. I will never book a cruise without a travel agent again. I am really getting screwed, this is a lot of money.

Cruises.com Company Profile