Find the Best Car Shipping Companies
Compare Top Auto Transport Reviews
Read 2,930 Reviews
Offers expedited and enclosed options. Door-to-door delivery. No upfront deposit. Ships cars, motorcycles and boats. Platinum Protection Plan helps cover damage. Provides personal agent, vehicle tracking and free instant quotes.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (561) 409-5116|
Montway Auto Transport
Read 239 Reviews
Open, enclosed and expedited shipping with guaranteed pickup dates available. Offers nationwide coverage and a large carrier network. Customers can contact drivers for real-time updates.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (866) 618-7655|
Sherpa Auto Transport
|Read 1,116 Reviews|
Door-to-door auto transport. Concierge-like customer service. No upfront deposit. Price-lock promise means you won’t pay more than what you’re quoted. Free car wash after delivery with the Exclusive Clean Car Guarantee.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (855) 261-9322|
Read 2,473 Reviews
Offers door-to-door transport. No upfront payment. Ships cars, boats and motorcycles. Cost to ship a sedan in an open carrier ranges from $495 to $1,300. Has discounts for seniors, students and emergency/protection workers.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (770) 486-1010|
|Read 69 Reviews|
Specializes in door-to-door shipping. Ships cars, motorcycles and boats. Vehicle tracking available. Get a free quote by phone seven days a week. Car shipping costs range from $500 to $1,200.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (754) 703-6333|
Read 59 Reviews
Ships cars, boats and motorcycles door to door. Handles domestic and international shipping. Choose from competing rates. Average 1,000-mile transport cost is $1,016. Provides cargo insurance.
|Get a Quote|
Bargain Auto Transport
|Read 30 Reviews|
Door-to-door open and enclosed transport. Carries inoperable vehicles. Requires small initial payment. Choose-your-price option. Call agents for tracking. Open shipping is more affordable. Enclosed shipping is a pricier option.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (833) 380-4619|
RoadRunner Auto Transport
Read 594 Reviews
Offers door-to-door shipping for cars, RVs, trailers, boats and machinery. No upfront fees. Free quotes. Full insurance coverage. 24/7 online tracking. Typically costs at least $800 to open-ship a sedan 1,000 miles in the summer.
|Ship a Car Direct||Read 3,547 Reviews|
Offers door-to-door shipping. No upfront payment. Free estimates. Guaranteed damage-free delivery. Coast-to-coast shipments usually take one to two weeks. Shipping a car across several states is likely to cost $400 to $700.
|A-1 Auto Transport|
Read 112 Reviews
Offers door-to-door shipment or delivery to shipping terminals for cars, trucks, boats, RVs and motorcycles. Open and enclosed transport. Domestic and international shipping. $700 quote for shipping a sedan from Miami to New York.
Our picks for car shipping companies
We chose the five best auto moving companies after ranking multiple shippers by cost, insurance protection, shipping experience, customer service, quote process and overall transparency. Our top five car shipping companies are brokers that are experienced in transporting cars and offer insurance and other assurances. Brokers are skilled at finding the best car carriers for you. If you find an auto transport company elsewhere, make sure it’s registered with the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) and has an MC (Motor Carrier) docket number. This means it’s a legitimate and certified car transportation company.
Our pick for cross-country car transport
Sherpa provides top-notch customer service, transparent pricing and a thorough carrier vetting process for all types of transports, from cross-country moves to snowbird routes. Its "Price Lock Promise" ensures your quote is the amount you pay when your vehicle is delivered. Sherpa includes insurance and door-to-door delivery with every transport, and it lets you further customize your shipment by choosing an open or closed carrier. The business is licensed, bonded and insured.
Sherpa’s Clean Car Guarantee lets you spend up to $20 for a car wash after delivery. The company transports cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, classic cars and non-operational vehicles. Sherpa offers multiple discounts, including deals for military personel, students, repeat customers, snowbirds, seniors and multicar transports.
Our pick for enclosed car transport
eShip is licensed, bonded and insured. The company transports nationally, including to Hawaii and Alaska, so it can take your car wherever you need it within the U.S. The company also offers open transport and door-to-door delivery. eShip moves cars, motorcycles, inoperable vehicles, boats and tractors.
eShip’s Platinum Protection Plan provides several safeguards if your vehicle arrives late or damaged. The company offers rental reimbursement up to $300 if your car arrives more than 48 hours after the delivery date, and it provides up to $300 in gap insurance for any minor damage a carrier’s deductible doesn't cover.
Our pick for price comparison
uShip is an open marketplace that lets you easily compare shipping options across a long list of carriers. This puts the power and choice in your hands and makes for a much more transparent booking process. uShip transports vehicles including classic cars, boats, motorcycles, ATVs and trailers. It also moves RVs, which is fairly rare among auto transport companies. It offers shipment tracking online and through push notifications from the uShip mobile app.
When we asked for a quote from New York City to Orlando for an operating sedan, we received a range of rates — from $575 to $912. Customers who sign up for an account with uShip receive discounted rates, and the company offers insurance for those who want added protection.
Our pick for expedited shipping
Ship a Car Direct is an auto transport broker that facilitates car shipping across the U.S. It offers door-to-door services, open and enclosed carriers and expedited shipping options if you need to arrange last-minute shipping.
The cost to ship your car with Ship a Car Direct varies depending on your car, distance of travel and method of transport. Enclosed carriers, which are often recommended for the highest level of protection, cost significantly more than open transport carriers. For a typical sedan, you can expect to pay around $550 to move across a few states or $1,100 to move farther across the country.
Our pick for online quote experience
Montway is another highly-rated auto transport broker service. The company works with over 40,000 insured carriers and tries to match you with the right carrier for the shipping job. It includes insurance coverage in the price of the transport and offers 24/7 support so you can stay updated throughout the process. Door-to-door shipping means the shipper can pick up and drop off your car at your front door for an even smoother experience.
The company provides instant quotes online so you can easily get an idea of what it costs to ship your car. A sample quote we got to transport a sedan from Atlanta to Denver was just shy of $900.
Car shipping questions
- What affects the cost of shipping a car?
Auto transport prices range from $500 to $1,500. Several factors affect the cost of shipping a car. If you’re looking to lower your costs, consider optimizing every aspect of your auto transport:
- Delivery and pickup dates: The more flexible you are with your pickup and drop-off dates, the less you pay. Rush shipping costs more than regular shipping, so plan ahead if you want to save.
- The size and condition of the vehicle: Smaller, lighter vehicles are cheaper to ship than larger vehicles. An inoperable vehicle costs more to ship than an operable one.
- Trip distance: It should come as no surprise that the farther your car needs to be hauled, the more you pay.
- Drop-off and pickup locations: Urban hubs are easier and cheaper to ship to, while remote or rural destinations cost more. International shipping also tacks on additional charges.
- Open or enclosed shipping: Enclosed shipping, which protects your car from weather conditions and road debris, costs more.
- Time of year: The auto transport industry has peak seasons and off-seasons. Summer is the peak season because many move before the school year starts. Expect to pay more in summer and less in winter.
- How long does it take to ship a car?
- Expect anywhere from one to 10 days for pickup and one to 10 days for shipping domestically. International shipping takes more time. Inclement weather, poor road conditions, heavy traffic and rural pickup or drop-off locations can also extend the duration of the transport. As a rule of thumb, estimate your driver will travel about 500 miles a day.
- What are common auto shipment routes in the U.S.?
- Some of the most common car shipment routes exist between Florida, Texas, California and New York. Because so many vehicles take these routes, car shipping service to and from these locations is often cheaper. Sometimes the demand for snowbird routes creates higher prices, however.
- What are the top auto transport hubs?
- The top destinations or hubs for auto transport are easy to get to and therefore cost less money. Some of these destinations include Los Angeles, New York City, Houston, Chicago, Miami and Washington, D.C. You might be able to save money by having your vehicle picked up or dropped off in one of these cities.
- What do I need to know about transporting a car state to state?
- There are a few things to remember when you ship your car across state lines. First, don’t forget to update your license and registration if you’re moving to a new state. It’s also wise to verify the auto shipper has adequate insurance, especially if your car is being transported across the country. Finally, confirm that the company you want to move with has an MC docket number from the FMCSA. All vehicle transporters must have these in order to transport cars state to state. Most companies prominently display their MC docket number on their websites.
- Can I ship a motorcycle?
- Yes, you can ship a motorcycle, and it’s easy with an auto transport company that has experience doing so. For transporting a motorcycle, there are a few different factors to consider, so make sure you know the ins and outs of the process to find the best motorcycle shipping option.
- Can I ship a car overseas?
- Yes. Shipping a car overseas is a seemingly complex process that becomes much simpler once you know how it works. Choosing a company that has experience shipping cars abroad is essential. Once you’re familiar with the steps involved in international car shipping, the entire experience will be much easier.
- What’s the difference between an auto transport broker vs. carrier?
- Auto transport brokers: Auto transport brokers don’t ship vehicles themselves. Instead, they charge a fee and find a shipper for you. This is the most common way to ship a vehicle. The benefit of using a broker is selection: Brokers have access to a wide range of car transporters and can often get better rates than you could find on your own. Even with fees, using a broker saves most people money. Because of their flexibility in carrier options, going with an auto transport broker also tends to result in a quicker pickup than you’d get with an individual carrier.
- Auto transport carriers: Auto transport carriers do the heavy lifting of loading and transporting vehicles and delivering them to their final destination. When you work with an auto transporter, you have direct contact with the carrier. This means you have a more accurate idea of pickup and delivery times, overall costs and insurance information. The downside to going directly to the car transporting service instead of using a broker is that you need to do all the work of nailing down pricing information and availability. We don’t recommend this method for people shipping a car for the first time — the top companies listed on this guide are brokers.
Whichever method you end up choosing, make sure the broker and the carrier are registered with the FMCSA, which is required by federal law. Registered brokers and carriers are given an MC docket number, which should be prominently displayed on their website. FMCSA recommends consumers actively avoid doing business with any auto broker or auto carrier company that doesn’t have its MC docket number displayed online, as there’s no way to guarantee the company is legitimate.
- Do l need auto insurance to protect my car during transport?
- Technically, no. Carriers are required to have insurance for damage incurred during transport. However, if you have car insurance, it’s a good idea to check with your insurance company to see what damages it covers.
- I need to ship my car fast. What should I do?
- Reach out to a car shipping company and request expedited transport. Your car will be picked up and delivered more quickly. Just keep in mind that expedited shipping costs more.
- Is it cheaper to ship a car by train or truck?
- While shipping your car by train is often less expensive than shipping by truck, transport by train isn’t available everywhere and requires extensive planning. Delivery by train can take up to two weeks, depending on the distance between pickup and delivery, and features like door-to-door transportation and expedited delivery are rarely available with this option. We recommend shipping by truck, especially if it’s your first time to ship a vehicle.
- Can moving companies transport cars?
- Most major moving companies offer car shipping services. Choosing a moving company over an auto transport company often costs more, though, because moving companies typically charge by truck weight. Some movers partner with car shipping companies to offer special pricing. Check with your mover to see if it has car shipping services or if it partners with an auto transporter.
- Do car dealerships ship cars?
- Some car dealerships offer home delivery or store-to-store shipping services for a fee. These dealerships typically outsource the shipping to an auto transport company. Depending on the cost, it could be cheaper to arrange transportation yourself.
Some online dealerships offer to ship your car at no cost. If you buy a car from an online or out-of-state dealership, ask about home delivery or store-to-store shipment costs.
Ways to ship a car
When you ship your vehicle, it's crucial to consider the type of service that best suits your needs. You have several options to choose from when transporting your vehicle:
- Door-to-door shipping: With door-to-door transport, a driver picks up the vehicle at your home and drops it off at your chosen destination.
- Terminal-to-terminal shipping: If you choose terminal-to-terminal shipping, you drop off your vehicle at a terminal and a driver transports it to the terminal closest to your destination. This method is less convenient than door-to-door shipping, but it’s also less expensive.
- Open shipping vs. enclosed shipping: The large trucks you see on the highway hauling trailers with several levels of cars are called open transport carriers. Enclosed shipping is different — instead of being out in the open, vehicles go inside a container. These containers protect vehicles from outside elements and road debris. Enclosed shipping is ideal for classic cars, high-value vehicles or cars with sentimental value. Enclosed shipping usually costs around 50% more than open shipping, but it’s worth it for some people.
- Expedited shipping: If you’re short on time, you can ask the company to expedite your vehicle’s delivery. This service increases the total cost of auto transport.
There’s much to consider when transporting a vehicle, but it doesn’t have to be overwhelming. To learn more about the ins and outs of transporting a vehicle, read our resource that gives a step-by-step process of how to ship a car.
Who are the best car shipping companies near me?
Auto transport rates vary widely based on the starting location and destination, so we created local guides for some of the most important auto transport hubs across the U.S. You can find a list of national and local auto hauling companies on each guide.
- Colorado Springs
- Corpus Christi
- Fort Myers
- Green Bay
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- Santa Barbara
- West Palm Beach
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Auto transporter author reviews
This auto transport company’s team of specialists facilitates your shipment with real-time updates on your vehicle’s location and arrival time. Ask about any discounts you might qualify for, including student discounts and deals for snowbird routes.
- Cost: The average cost to ship a car with Sherpa is about $910, but this varies according to factors like distance and time of year. Discounts exist for seniors, repeat customers, students, members of the military, multicar transports and snowbird routes. Free quotes are available online, and the company’s Price Lock Promise means your quote won’t change.
- Types of vehicles shipped: In addition to traditional vehicles, this company ships vans, SUVs and classic cars, even if they’re inoperable.
- Shipping options: Pickups and drop-offs are available anywhere nationwide. Terminal-to-terminal shipping is not an option.
- Additional services: This company’s Clean Car Guarantee pays for a car wash after every delivery.
This auto transport company handles over 3,000 moves every year. Each car it ships gets its own personal agent and vehicle tracking. If your car is more than 48 hours late, the company reimburses you up to $300 for a rental car.
- Cost: The average cost to ship a car with this company is $500, assuming a move of about 1,000 miles. Customers get free quotes online and never have to pay an upfront deposit. The company guarantees your quote is your final price.
- Types of vehicles shipped: eShip transports motorcycles, boats, trucks, RVs and classic cars in addition to traditional vehicles.
- Shipping options: This company ships all across the U.S. It offers expedited and enclosed shipping options, but it only does door-to-door delivery.
- Additional services: eShip’s Platinum Protection Plan helps cover any unintended damages your vehicle incurs along the route. The company also has services for corporate relocation, storage and international moving.
This auto transport company offers shipping across the U.S., Canada and select international locations. All shipments come with an AFta gap insurance plan. It has several available discounts as well.
- Cost: The cost to ship a four-door sedan on an open carrier ranges from $495 to $1,300, including an upfront deposit. An average shipment costs about $935. Discounts are available for students, seniors and emergency personnel.
- Types of vehicles shipped: In addition to regular cars, AmeriFreight ships classic cars, trucks, RVs, trailers, boats and motorcycles.
- Shipping options: This company offers door-to-door transport nationwide, with service also available in Canada and some international locations. Open and enclosed shipping options are available.
- Additional services: The available AFta insurance plan covers up to $1,000 for major damage and $400 for minor damage. The company also helps cover rental car costs if your delivery is late and you need transportation.
Expect a coast-to-coast move with this auto transport company to take one to two weeks, on average. Customers can speak with a representative to track the status of a car.
This auto transport company is well known for its “choose your price” option. Company representatives work with you to explain pricing options based on your move. Then, together with your agent, you set the price for your move, and the broker finds a carrier to match it.
This auto transport company highlights its top three benefits as speedy shipping, a simple quote process and reliability. It ships cars around the world, with no upfront fee required. Customer service is available 24/7.
This auto transport broker works with a network of over 3,500 auto transporters to coordinate your move. Every carrier RoadRunner uses has at least $750,000 in insurance coverage. The company’s website also has informative content to guide you through the shipping process and help you make decisions regarding your move.
- Cost: Expect shipping a sedan 1,000 miles with RoadRunner to cost about $800. The company doesn’t charge upfront fees — you only pay once it’s assigned you a carrier and scheduled a pickup time. Quotes are free and available over the phone or on the company’s website.
- Types of vehicles shipped: RoadRunner ships all sorts of cars, even classics and inoperable vehicles. It also transports trailers, boats, RVs and heavy machinery.
- Shipping options: This company does door-to-door shipping across the U.S., with no option for terminal-to-terminal delivery.
- Additional services: Customers get full insurance coverage and 24/7 online tracking. Customer service is available 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST Monday through Friday.
This auto transport company claims to provide shipping times that are half the industry standard. Stateway Auto Transport works with individual consumers, car dealerships, auto auctions and moving companies.
This auto transport company has an internal fleet of over 150 car carriers. Shipments in the U.S. typically take 14 days. The company claims to deliver 98% of vehicles on time, with 98.8% of all vehicles arriving without damage.
This auto transport company has access to a network of 5,000 trucking companies and 30,000 car carriers. Transit typically takes two to seven days within the Lower 48. The company specializes in enclosed transports for classic cars.
This auto transport company offers an easy quote process that lets you give basic information about your move and receive a quote without providing your email address or other personal information. Its website also has information about regional moves, cost factors and preparing for your move. Direct Express ships 90% of orders in under a week, and most of its deliveries take seven to 14 days.
This auto transport company’s website has information to help you move a vehicle, including helpful checklists, unique regional shipping challenges and other resources for first-time shippers.
This company offers auto transport throughout the U.S. and internationally. It picks up most vehicles in just one to three days. Its long-distance moves take seven to 10 days, and local moves take just three to seven days.
- Cost: We estimate shipping a four-door sedan with Transport Connection from Washington, D.C., to Portland, Oregon, to cost about $1,220.
- Types of vehicles shipped: In addition to regular cars, this company ships SUVs for an additional fee.
- Shipping options: Transport Connection offers door-to-door delivery via open and enclosed carriers. The company does both domestic and international shipping.
- Additional services: Transport Connection’s customer service is available on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST.
This auto shipping company transports vehicles all over the world and offers a variety of discounts. Its average time for a vehicle move is three to 14 days. Customers can track their cars to see where they are during the shipping process.
New World Auto Transport specializes in corporate relocation and dealer-to-dealer transportation. On average, it takes one to seven days to pick up a vehicle. Vehicle tracking is available by calling the company.
- Cost: Expect shipping a four-door sedan from Chicago to Miami to cost about $720. Quotes are available after submitting shipment information online. Ask about the company’s military, student and senior discounts.
- Types of vehicles shipped: In addition to regular vehicles, New World Auto Transport ships specialty vehicles, including trucks, motorcycles, golf carts, RVs, motor homes, ATVs and boats.
- Shipping options: This company normally does door-to-door transport anywhere across the U.S., but terminal-to-terminal transport is available in special circumstances. Customers choose between open and enclosed carriers.
- Additional services: New World Auto Transport offers storage facilities for drop shipments, easy drop-offs and overnight storage.
Compare Top Auto Transport Reviews
|King of the Road Transport|
Read 542 Reviews
Domestic and international door-to-door shipping for cars, motorcycles and boats. No upfront payment. Quotes include all costs. Average shipping takes less than 14 days. Expect to pay $600 to $1,000 to ship across several states.
|We Will Transport It|
Read 150 Reviews
Ships cars, trucks, RVs, boats and heavy equipment door to door. Handles international and domestic shipping. Requires no upfront deposit. Free quotes. Coast-to-coast routes take seven to 10 days.
|National Auto Shipping|
Read 33 Reviews
Transports cars and motorcycles throughout the U.S., including in Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico. All vehicles are fully insured. Enclosed transport available. Coast-to-coast vehicle transport takes seven to 14 days.
Read 1,317 Reviews
Offers door-to-door shipping. International and domestic shipping in all 50 states. Multivehicle, large vehicle and expedited options. 24/7 customer service. Claim assistance. $900 estimated transport cost from Dallas to Atlanta.
|Ultimate Transport 123|
Read 75 Reviews
Offers shipping by open or enclosed transport. Ships cars, vintage cars, motorcycles, boats and more. Moves from New York to Florida cost about $1,000. Live vehicle tracking and extended customer service hours.
|Direct Express Auto Transport|
Read 9 Reviews
Offers standard, expedited and rush shipping throughout the continental U.S. Most orders ship in a week. Insured, licensed and bonded. Deposit required. Average cost for open-shipping a sedan within California is $800.
|Stateway Auto Transport|
Read 596 Reviews
Door-to-door service with no upfront deposit. Fully insured and bonded carriers. Express and enclosed transport services available. Includes a $1 million carrier policy. Offers standard, premium and express options.
|CarsArrive Auto Relocation|
Read 97 Reviews
Offers door-to-door and terminal-to-terminal delivery. Ships cars, classic cars, trucks, vans and motorcycles. Costs about $890 to ship 1,845 miles. Get your car in 14 days or less with guaranteed damage-free delivery.
|American Auto Transporters|
Read 8 Reviews
Ships vehicles domestically and internationally. Open and enclosed transport available. Licensed, bonded and fully insured. Three-day pickup windows. Track your shipment online. Snowbird route options for repeat customers.
Read 5 Reviews
Door-to-door vehicle delivery nationwide. Fully insured and bonded. Same-day pickups available. Pricing is not fixed and can vary day by day. Average transit time is two to seven days.
|New World Auto Transport||Read Author Review|
Nationwide door-to-door auto transport. Open and enclosed shipping options. Storage facility for drop-ship vehicles, overnight storage and early drop-off. 24/7 dispatch. $720 estimate to ship a sedan from Chicago to Miami.
|Transport Connection||Read Author Review|
Domestic and international shipping. Open and enclosed options. Door-to-door service available. Coast-to-coast delivery typically takes seven to 10 days. To ship a sedan from Washington, D.C., to Oregon costs about $1,220.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.