Best Car Shipping Companies
Using an auto transporter saves time and hassle if you're moving across the country, transporting a classic car or buying a car overseas. Car shipping companies offer a variety of services, including covered or uncovered car transport, multi-car or single-car trailers and a choice between door-to-door or terminal-to-terminal service.
Compare Auto Transporter Reviews
|Sherpa Auto Transport|
Read 751 Reviews
Offers door-to-door auto transport. Gives free quotes online. Price Lock Promise means your quote won’t change. Clean Car Guarantee gives you a free car wash after delivery.
|Get A Free Quote Toll free number (833) 417-9393|
Read 2,527 Reviews
Offers expedited and enclosed options. Door-to-door delivery. No upfront deposit. Ships cars, motorcycles and boats. Platinum Protection Plan helps cover damage. Provides personal agent, vehicle tracking and free instant quotes.
|Get A Free Quote Toll free number (561) 409-5116|
|Bargain Auto Transport||Read 20 Reviews|
Ships cars with door-to-door transport. Transports inoperable vehicles. Requires small initial payment. Choose your price option. Call agents for tracking.
|Get A Free Quote Toll free number (833) 373-2737|
Read 2,470 Reviews
Offers door-to-door transport. Requires no upfront payment. Ships cars, boats and motorcycles. Cost to ship sedan in open carrier ranges from $495 to $1,300. Gives discounts for seniors, students and emergency/protection services.
|Get A Free Quote Toll free number (770) 486-1010|
Read 55 Reviews
Offers door-to-door shipping only. Ships cars, motorcycles and boats. Vehicle tracking available. Get a free quote by phone 7 days a week.
Ships cars, boats and motorcycles door to door. Handles domestic and international shipping. Average 200-mile cost is $584. Average 1,000-mile cost is $780. Provides cargo insurance. Choose from competing rates.
|Get A Free Quote|
Read 1,316 Reviews
Offers door-to-door shipping. International and domestic shipping in all 50 states. Multi-vehicle, large vehicle and expedited options. 24/7 customer service. Claim assistance.
|Get A Free Quote Toll free number (561) 536-7943|
|RoadRunner Auto Transport||Read 508 Reviews|
Offers door-to-door shipping for cars, RVs, trailers, boats and machinery. No upfront fee. Gives free quotes. Provides full insurance coverage. 24/7 online tracking.
|Ship a Car Direct|
Read 3,503 Reviews
Offers door-to-door shipping. Requires no upfront payment. Gives free instant estimates. Guarantees damage-free delivery. Coast-to-coast shipments take one to two weeks on average.
|A-1 Auto Transport|
Read 98 Reviews
Car, truck, motorcycle and SUV transport company offering door-to-door shipment and delivery to shipping terminals. Open and enclosed auto transport available along with domestic and international shipping.
The best car shipping companies
We chose the best five auto moving companies after ranking multiple car shippers by cost, insurance protection, shipping experience, customer service, quote process and overall transparency. Our top five car shipping companies are brokers who have experience transporting cars and offer insurance and other assurances. Brokers are skilled at finding the best car carriers for you. If you find an auto transport company elsewhere, make sure they are registered with the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) and have an MC (Motor Carrier) docket number. This means they are a legitimate, certified car transportation company.
Best cross-country car transport
Sherpa provides top-notch customer service, transparent pricing backed by their Price Lock Promise and a thorough carrier vetting process for all types of transports, from cross-country moves to snowbird routes. The company's Price Lock Promise ensures that the quote you receive is the amount you pay when your vehicle is delivered. Sherpa includes insurance and door-to-door delivery in every transport, and it allows you to further customize your shipment by choosing an open or closed carrier. The business is licensed, bonded and insured.
Sherpa’s Clean Car Guarantee allows customers to spend up to $20 for a car wash after their car has been delivered. The company transports cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, classic cars and non-operational cars. Sherpa offers multiple discounts, including ones for military, students, repeat customers, snowbirds, seniors and multi-car transports.
Best car shipping
Bargain Auto Transport is popular for the company’s Choose Your Price feature. Experienced brokers at Bargain work with you to choose a price to offer carriers. If the price isn’t accepted the first time, you can make another offer.
Bargain Auto Transport offers door-to-door shipping with open and enclosed transport to all 48 contiguous states. The company doesn’t ship motorcycles or boats, so Bargain works best with traditional vehicles like cars, trucks and SUVs. Bargain Auto Transport focuses on finding the best deal for you rather than the fastest shipping times, so the car shippers at Bargain are a good choice for those planning ahead for their auto transport.
Best enclosed car transport
eShip is licensed, bonded and insured. The company transports nationally, including to Hawaii and Alaska, so it can take your car wherever you need it transported in the U.S. The company also offers open transport and door-to-door delivery. eShip ships motorcycles, inoperable vehicles, boats and tractors in addition to cars.
eShip’s Platinum Protection Plan offers several safeguards if your vehicle arrives late or damaged. The company offers rental reimbursement up to $300 if your car arrives more than 48 hours after delivery date, and it provides up to $300 in gap insurance for any minor damage a carrier’s deductible doesn't cover.
Best reliable car transport
AmeriFreight ships to the 48 contiguous states, Canada and some international locations. In addition to cars, the company ships motorcycles, RVs, trailers and boats. It offers enclosed-carrier transport and door-to-door shipping. AmeriFreight’s price guarantee means you pay the exact price you’re quoted.
The company offers discounts to students, senior citizens, members of emergency and protection services, return customers and those shipping multiple vehicles. AmeriFreight provides the AFta gap insurance plan for vehicle damage reported within 48 hours of dropoff. A calculator on the company’s site helps you get an accurate estimate of what it charges.
Best shipping for special vehicles
Ship Your Car Now ships almost any type of vehicle. It transports trucks, motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, boats and classic cars domestically and internationally. The company also ships heavy machinery and containers.
Ship Your Car Now doesn’t require an upfront fee. The company’s customer service is available 24/7, even for international shipments. It provides enclosed shipping for classic cars and other high-value vehicles. If you need to ship an unusual vehicle or ship abroad, Ship Your Car Now is a good choice.
Ways to ship a car
When you ship your vehicle, it's crucial to consider the type of service that best suits your needs. You have several options to choose from when transporting your vehicle:
- Door-to-door shipping or terminal-to-terminal shipping: With door-to-door transport, a driver picks up the vehicle at your home and drops it off at your chosen destination. If you choose terminal-to-terminal shipping, you drop off your vehicle at a terminal and a driver transports it to the terminal nearest to your vehicle’s destination. This method is less convenient than door-to-door shipping, but it’s also less expensive.
- Open shipping or enclosed shipping: When you see a large truck on the highway hauling a trailer with several levels of cars, that’s an open transport carrier. Enclosed shipping is different — instead of being out in the open, vehicles go inside a container. These containers protect vehicles from outside elements and road debris. Enclosed shipping is an excellent choice for classic cars, high-value vehicles or cars with sentimental value. Enclosed shipping usually costs around 50% more than open shipping, but it’s worth it for some people
- Expedited shipping: If you are short on time, you can ask the company to expedite your vehicle’s delivery. This service increases the total cost of auto transport.
There’s much to consider when transporting a vehicle, but it doesn’t have to be overwhelming. To learn more about the ins and outs of how to ship a vehicle, read our resource that gives a step-by-step process of how to ship a car.
Car shipping questions
- What affects the cost of shipping a car?
- Auto transport prices range between $500 and $1,500. Several factors affect the cost of shipping a car. If you’re looking to lower your costs, consider optimizing every aspect of your auto transport.
- Delivery and pickup dates: The more flexible you are with your pickup and drop-off dates, the less you pay. Rush shipping costs more than regular shipping, so plan ahead if you want to save.
- The size and condition of the vehicle: Smaller, lighter vehicles are cheaper to ship than larger vehicles. An inoperable vehicle costs more to ship than an operable one.
- Trip distance: It should come as no surprise that the farther your car needs to be hauled, the more you pay.
- Dropoff and pickup locations: Urban hubs are easier and cheaper to ship to, while remote, rural destinations cost more. International shipping also tacks on additional charges.
- Open or enclosed shipping: Enclosed shipping, which protects your car from weather conditions and road debris, costs more.
- Time of year: The auto transport industry has peak seasons and off-seasons. Summer is the peak season because many people are moving before the school year starts. Expect to pay more in summer and less in winter.
- How long does it take to ship a car?
- Expect anywhere from one to 10 days for pickup, and one to 10 days for shipping domestically. International shipping takes more time. Inclement weather, poor road conditions, heavy traffic and rural pickup or drop-off locations also extend the duration of the transport. As a rule of thumb, estimate that your driver will travel about 500 miles a day.
- What are common auto shipment routes in the US?
- Some of the most common car shipment routes exist between Florida, Texas, California and New York. Because so many vehicles take these routes, car shipping services to and from these locations are often cheaper. Sometimes the demand for snowbird routes creates higher prices, however.
- What are the top auto transport hubs?
- The top destinations or hubs for auto transport are easy to get to and therefore cost less money. Some of these destinations include Los Angeles, New York City, Houston, Chicago, Miami and Washington, D.C. You might be able to save money by having your vehicle picked up or dropped off in one of these cities.
- What do I need to know about transporting a car state to state?
- There are a few things to remember when you ship your car to another state. First, don’t forget to update your license and registration if you are moving to a new state. It’s also wise to verify that the auto shipper has adequate insurance, especially if your car is being transported across the country. Finally, confirm that the company you want to move with has an MC docket number from the FMCSA. All vehicle transporters must have these in order to transport cars state to state. Most companies prominently display their MC docket number on their websites.
- Can I ship a motorcycle?
- Yes, you can ship a motorcycle, and it’s easy to do with an auto transport company that has experience transporting motorcycles. Shipping a motorcycle has a few different factors to consider when compared to shipping a car, so make sure you know the ins and outs of the process to find the best motorcycle shipping for you.
- Can I ship a car overseas?
- Yes. Shipping a car overseas is a seemingly complex process that becomes much simpler once you know how it works. Choosing a company that has experience shipping cars abroad is essential. Once you are familiar with the steps involved in international car shipping, the entire experience will be much easier.
- What’s the difference between an auto transport broker vs. carrier?
Auto brokers and auto shippers serve different roles, and it's crucial to know the difference when looking for vehicle transport services.
- Auto transport brokers: Auto transport brokers do not ship vehicles themselves. Instead, they charge a fee and find a shipper for you. This is the most common way to ship a vehicle. The benefit of using a broker is selection: Brokers have access to a wide range of car transporters and can often get a better rate than you could find on your own. Even with the fee they charge, using a broker saves most people money. Because of their flexibility in choosing from several carriers, going with an auto transport broker also tends to result in a quicker pickup than you could get when calling an individual carrier.
- Auto transport carriers: Auto transport carriers do the heavy lifting of loading and transporting vehicles and delivering them to their final destination. When you work with an auto transport carrier, you have direct contact with the carrier. This means that you have a more accurate idea of pickup and delivery times, overall costs and insurance information. The downside to going directly to the car transportation service instead of using a broker is that you need to do all the work when it comes to nailing down pricing information and availability. We don’t recommend this method for people shipping a car for the first time. The top companies listed on this guide are brokers.
Whichever method you end up choosing, make sure the broker and the carrier is registered with the FMCSA, which is required by federal law. Registered brokers and carriers are given an MC docket number, which should be prominently displayed on their website. FMCSA recommends that consumers actively avoid doing business with any auto broker or auto carrier company that does not have their MC docket number displayed online, as there is no way to guarantee they are legitimate.
- Do l need auto insurance to protect my car during transport?
- Technically, no. Carriers are required to have insurance for damage incurred during transport. However, if you have car insurance, it’s a good idea to check with your auto insurance company to see what sort of damage they cover.
- I need to ship my car fast. What should I do?
- Reach out to a car shipping company and request expedited transport. Your car will be picked up and delivered faster. Just keep in mind that expedited shipping costs more.
- Is it cheaper to ship a car by train or truck?
- While shipping your car by train is often less expensive than shipping your car by truck, auto transport by train isn’t available everywhere and requires extensive planning. Delivery by train can take up to two weeks, depending on the distance between pickup and delivery, and features like door-to-door transportation and expedited delivery are rarely available. We recommend shipping a car by truck, especially if it’s your first time to ship a vehicle.
- Can moving companies transport cars?
- Most major moving companies offer car shipping services. Choosing a moving company over an auto transport company often costs more, though, since moving companies typically charge customers by the truck’s weight. Some movers partner with car shipping companies to offer special pricing. Check with your mover to see if they have car shipping services or partner with an auto transporter.
- Do car dealerships ship cars?
- Some car dealerships offer home delivery or store-to-store shipping services for a fee. These dealerships typically outsource the shipping to an auto transport company. Depending on the cost, it could be cheaper to arrange transportation yourself.
Some online dealerships offer to ship your car for free. If you buy a car from an online or out-of-state dealership, ask about home delivery or store-to-store shipment costs.
Who are the best car shipping companies near me?
Auto transport rates vary widely based on the starting location and destination. That’s why we’ve created local guides for some of the most important auto transport hubs across the U.S. You can find a list of the best national and local auto hauling companies on each guide.
- Colorado Springs
- Corpus Christi
- Fort Myers
- Green Bay
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- Santa Barbara
- West Palm Beach
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Auto transporter expert reviews
Sherpa Auto Transport is a national automobile transportation company. Sherpa offers transparent pricing backed by its Price Lock Promise. What they quote you is what you pay. The company delivers a customer-oriented transport experience service tailored to its clients’ specific needs by working with a preferred network of nationwide auto moving professionals.
- Service offerings: Sherpa offers a full range of services catered to your auto transport needs. They specialize in accommodating all types of cars, from classic cars to family sedans to junkers, both operable and inoperable. Whether you’re looking for a local shipment or a long-distance transport, Sherpa will deliver exactly what you need.
- Carrier vetting: Ensuring your vehicle is in the right hands is one of the most important aspects of your transport. Sherpa takes each carrier through a strict vetting process, leveraging a multitude of sources and verifying that the carrier has the appropriate federal licenses and insurance coverage.
- Customer-centric: Sherpa has a team of specialists trained to facilitate your auto shipment from pickup to delivery. The company keeps close tabs on your shipment and promises to keep you informed with frequent updates throughout the process.
- Free quotes: Sherpa works hard to ensure you receive the most favorable rate for your specific transport. Backed by the company's Price Lock Promise, you can expect to receive the quote you receive to match what you pay when your vehicle is successfully delivered. Call Sherpa Auto Transport for a free quote.
- Best for: People who need long-distance or local vehicle transportation and want their move handled by a professional, customer-centric company whose employees treat your vehicle like it’s their own.
- Best for: People who need long-distance or local vehicle transportation, including business fleet owners.
In business since 2010, eShip connects its customers with top-rated auto transport carriers. The company is licensed by the Department of Transportation to broker the shipment of household goods and also offers moving services to and from any location, nationwide.
- Free added insurance of $250 on every order: Every carrier eShip uses carries the standard insurance coverage for any damage that may occur during transit. eShip also offers an additional $250 on every order – free of charge.
- Door-to-door transport (open or enclosed): eShip loads your vehicle as close to your home as the truck can get, transports it on one carrier and unloads it at the address you specify.
- Cross-country transports available: eShip offers service across the USA, so you can transport your vehicle across the country when needed.
- Open auto transport carriers: Using open auto transport carriers allows eShip to keeps its prices low due to decreased maintenance and fuel costs for each carrier. eShip's website clearly explains the pros and cons of using open auto transport carriers, allowing customers to make educated decisions about shipping their vehicles.
- Additional services: eShip offers residential moving and auto transport services to individuals but also offers commercial services including corporate relocation, international moving, logistics and storage options across the U.S. and Canada.
- Best for: Out-of-state movers, small business owners and people who need to transport a vehicle.
As one of the most innovative names in the vehicle shipping industry, AmeriFreight tackled the biggest challenge facing today’s brokers: how to offer the best possible auto transport rates without sacrificing customer service and providing the best protection.
- Rate calculator: AmeriFreight has a tool on their website that takes all the guesswork out of budgeting, and there is no requirement to enter any personal information.
- Discounts: Along with their Economy Save Rate, the company also offers discounts to members of the active military, first responders, student and seniors.
- Protection: AmeriFrieght's AFta plan covers any damage up to $1000 for major damage, $400 for minor damage detected up to 48 hours after delivery, lost keys, rental car for delayed deliveries and even payment protection for cancellations.
- Best for: Out-of-state movers, car collectors, small business owners and cab companies.
Ship A Car Direct has been shipping cars for customers since 2008. They changed their name from Honesty First Auto Transport, which emphasized the importance of honesty to them, in order to make their services clearer to customers.
Choose your price with this auto transport broker that lets you decide how much you want to pay for car shipping. Your broker will provide you with the information you need to decide how much is reasonable to pay to have your vehicle shipped.
Executive Auto Shippers was founded in 2009 by experienced auto shipping professionals. It offers both domestic and international auto shipping services.
ShipYourCarNow offers international and domestic vehicle shipping, with 24/7 customer service. They promise consumers fast shipping, an easy quote process and reliable service.
Road Runner Auto Transport offers fast and reliable shipping using a network of more than 3,500 certified auto transport professionals.
- No upfront cost: Shippers only pay once a carrier has been assigned and pickup has been scheduled.
- Customer satisfaction: Good customer service can make the difference between a smooth delivery and numerous snafus.
- Guaranteed insurance coverage: Every carrier contracted through Road Runner carries at least $750,000 in insurance, so if something does go wrong, every vehicle is covered.
- Broker: Third-party shipping providers may not be as invested in customer service as the originating broker is.
- Best for: Out of state movers and small businesses.
Stateway Auto Transport has been safely and reliably transporting vehicle since 1992. The company maintains three times the minimum required insurance amount to offer their customers peace of mind.
Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS)
With more than 50 years of experience, DAS is ready and willing to tackle any vehicle shipping. The company has an internal fleet made up of more than 150 multiple car carriers and are happy to accommodate small loads and shorter distances.
EZ transport brings 30 years of experience to the table, along with a network of 5,000 trucking companies and 30,000 car carriers.
Headquartered in California, Direct Express Auto Transport is a revolutionary newcomer in the vehicle transport industry. The company opened in 2003 with the first instant online quote that asks for no personal information.
Auto Driveaway is one of the largest and longest operating auto transport companies in the country and has more than 40 local offices nationwide.
Auto Transport 123 is a vehicle transport company that offers door-to-door service for those who want to move their vehicles from place to place. The company has headquarters in both Rockville Centre, New York, and Boynton Beach, Florida.
Owner-operated Transport Connection has a vested interest in customer service. To ensure that every customer is satisfied, Transport Connection offers extended office hours until 9 p.m. EST.
- International car shipping: Transportation Connection can help those who are moving to another country, even overseas.
- Open and enclosed shipping: Whether you’re shipping your old Honda or your prized Bentley, Transport Connection can help with whichever method offers the level of protection your vehicle deserves.
- Customer prep: Customers are responsible for preparing their own vehicles for shipment.
- Limited liability: According to their terms, neither the carrier nor TC is responsible for damage to your vehicle including that caused by natural occurrences (weather), any windshield or convertible damage, and even vandalism.
- Best for: Out of state movers, car collectors and small businesses.
King of the Road puts customer service first. They offer quick shipping, affordable pricing and no hidden fees. The company's broker fee isn’t charged until after pickup, and the driver fee can be customized to meet the consumer’s budget while still providing the services they need.
New World Auto Transport has more than 35 years of experience as a transport broker. The company ships any type of vehicle and works hard to ensure smooth and trouble-free shipping.
- Specialty vehicles and large shipments accepted: Where other companies can only handle approximately 10 vehicles in a shipment, New World works with hundreds of carriers to offer a more complete shipping service.
- Insurance confirmed: The company verifies the DOT, FMCSA and insurance information on every carrier they use.
- Broker: The company does not directly provide shipping services but instead contract with a third-party provider.
- Best for: Out-of-state mover, Car collector, Small business, Cab company
Compare Auto Transporter Reviews
|King of the Road Transport|
Read 538 Reviews
Ships cars, motorcycles and boats door-to-door. Domestic and international shipping. No upfront payment. Quoted rate includes everything, including tolls and gas. Average time to move a car is three to 14 days.
|Auto Transport 123|
Read 73 Reviews
Fully licensed and bonded door-to-door car shipping company that ships worldwide. Open and enclosed auto transport. 24-hour live customer service and order tracking. Expedited service guarantees pickup within 24-72 hours.
|We Will Transport It|
Read 146 Reviews
Ships cars, trucks, RVs, boats and heavy equipment door-to-door. Handles international and domestic shipping. Requires no upfront deposit. Gives free quote. Coast-to-coast routes takes seven to 10 days to ship.
Read 5 Reviews
Fully insured and bonded car shipping company offering door-to-door delivery in all 50 states. Pickups can be arranged as early as same-day. Pricing is not fixed and can vary on a daily basis. Average transit time is 2-7 days.
|Direct Express Auto Transport||Read 8 Reviews|
Insured, licensed and bonded car shipping company offering standard, expedited and rush shipping throughout the continental U.S. 90% of orders ship in one week. A nominal deposit required online or over the phone.
|National Auto Shipping||Read 29 Reviews|
Car shipping company that delivers cars throughout the United States, including Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico. All vehicles are fully insured. Coast-to-coast vehicle transport takes 7-14 days.
|Stateway Auto Transport|
Read 596 Reviews
Door-to-door service with no upfront deposit. Fully insured and bonded carriers. Express and enclosed transport services available. Includes a $1 million carrier policy. Offers standard, premium and express options.
|Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS)|
Read 97 Reviews
Vehicle transport company that ships cars, trucks, boats, RVs and planes anywhere in the world. Offers door-to-door service and terminal-to-terminal service. Payment required in advance.
|All American Transport Company||Read 15 Reviews|
Fully licensed, bonded and insured car shipping company offering door-to-door and open or enclosed services for cars, trucks and SUVs. Coast-to-coast transport takes 7-14 days. A minimal deposit is required for each vehicle.
|American Auto Transporters||Read 7 Reviews|
Licensed, bonded and fully insured car shipping company offering open and enclosed services for domestic and international picking. In many areas, 24-48 hour pick-up is available. Smartphone app provides instant car tracking.
Car shipping company that offers truckaway service, expedited service and standard vehicle delivery with door-to-door service. Open and enclosed carriers available. Online vehicle tracking offered. Instant quotes available online.
|New World Auto Transport||Read Expert Review|
Company specializes in nationwide, door-to-door auto transport services with open or enclosed transport. Storage facility available for drop-ship vehicles, overnight storage or early drop-off. Available 24-7 for dispatch.
|Transport Connection||Read Expert Review|
Licensed, bonded and insured car shipping company offering domestic or international shipping in an open or enclosed carrier. SUVs incur an extra fee. Coast-to-coast delivery takes approximately 7-10 days.
|Executive Auto Shippers LLC|
Read 1,488 Reviews
|Out Of Business|
Transportation services include open and enclosed nationwide shipping as well as overseas shipping. Every shipment covered by a Cargo Shipment policy. Military discount provided. Vehicle tracking available for an additional fee.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
Keep an eye on your inbox, the latest consumer news is on its way!