Best Car Shipping Companies
Moving across the country, transporting a classic car and buying a car overseas are all reasons people use auto transporters. Car shipping companies offer a variety of services including covered or uncovered car transport, multi-car or single-car trailers, and even the choice between door-to-door or terminal-to-terminal service. When choosing an auto transporter, it’s important to consider:
- Distance of the transport
- Timeline for having the vehicle picked up and delivered
- Value of the vehicle being transported
Compare Auto Transporter Reviews
|Sherpa Auto Transport|
Read 374 Reviews
Licensed and insured door-to-door auto transport company specializing in transparent pricing, professional communication and unparalleled customer service. Specializes in relocations, purchases, snowbirds and multi-car shipments.
Read 2095 Reviews
Licensed, insured and bonded door-to-door auto transport and moving company. Each transport includes up to $300 in added insurance or rental reimbursement up to $300 for vehicles 48 hours past expected delivery date.
|Ship A Car Direct|
Read 3278 Reviews
Door-to-door auto transport service that is 100% insured, licensed and bonded. No upfront deposit required. Damage-free guarantee program helps pay in the rare case of auto damage. Average coast-to-coast transit time is 1-2 weeks.
Read 2190 Reviews
Door-to-door auto shipping that includes 48-hour after-delivery protection plan. Senior citizens, students and members of emergency and protection services receive discounts.
Read 1311 Reviews
Secure door-to-door auto transport in all 50 states and internationally with pickup and delivery. Drivers are bonded and insured. Enclosed transport, large or multi-vehicle transport and expedited services available.
|King of the Road Transport|
Read 516 Reviews
Door-to-door car shipping company that is licensed, bonded and insured. No money upfront. Rate includes all fees, tolls, taxes, gas and accommodation expenses. Vehicles reach their destination in an average of 3-14 days.
|Executive Auto Shippers LLC|
Read 1486 Reviews
Transportation services include open and enclosed nationwide shipping as well as overseas shipping. Every shipment covered by a Cargo Shipment policy. Military discount provided. Vehicle tracking available for an additional fee.
|RoadRunner Auto Transport|
Read 245 Reviews
Five-star-rated door-to-door auto transport service with full insurance coverage. No upfront deposit required. Vehicle tracking available online 24/7 for cars, boats, RVs, trailers and machinery.
|We Will Transport It|
Read 138 Reviews
Bonded, licensed, heavy-load hauling specialist offering car, truck, RV, boat and heavy equipment transport services. Door-to-door service with no upfront deposits. Coast-to-coast delivery takes an average of 7-10 days.
|A-1 Auto Transport|
Read 53 Reviews
Car, truck, motorcycle and SUV transport company offering door-to-door shipment and delivery to shipping terminals. Open and enclosed auto transport available along with domestic and international shipping.
The best car shipping companies
Best enclosed car transport
eShip is licensed, insured and bonded. The company transports nationally, including to non-continental states, so wherever you want your car transported in the country, eShip can take it there. Additional shipping options from eShip include open transport and door-to-door delivery. They can also ship motorcycles, non-operational cars, boats and tractors.
With eShip’s Platinum Protection Plan, you can take advantage of one of two potential safeguards for your vehicle if it arrives late or damaged. One option is rental reimbursement of up to $300 for vehicles that arrive more than 48 hours after the expected delivery date. eShip also provides up to $300 in gap insurance to cover any minor damage a carrier’s deductible doesn't cover.
Best cross-country car transport
Sherpa is licensed, bonded and insured. The auto transport company specializes in cross-country moves, multi-car shipments and snowbird routes. Options for shipping include open transport, enclosed transport, door-to-door delivery and built-in insurance.
Sherpa’s Clean Car Guarantee allows customers to spend up to $20 for a car wash after their car has been delivered. In addition to regular cars, Sherpa also transports trucks, vans, SUVs, classic cars and non-operational cars. Sherpa offers several discounts, including military discounts, multi-car discounts, student discounts, repeat customer discounts, snowbird discounts and senior discounts.
Best reliable car transport
Ship a Car Direct is also insured, licensed and bonded. The company offers open transport, closed transport and insurance. However, they do not offer terminal-to-terminal pickup and dropoff, preferring direct door-to-door delivery.
The auto transport company operates in nearly all 50 states, but, true to their name, they only ship cars. No upfront deposit is required. Their damage-free guarantee program helps pay for repairs in case a car is damaged during transport. They quote average coast-to-coast transit time as 1-2 weeks.
Car shipping questions
What affects the cost of shipping a car?
Several factors affect the cost of shipping a car. If you’re looking for a deal, consider optimizing every aspect of your auto transport.
- Delivery and pickup dates: The more flexible you are with your pickup and dropoff dates, the less you can expect to pay. Furthermore, rush shipping will cost more than regular shipping, so make sure to plan ahead if you want to save on that expense.
- The size and condition of the vehicle: Smaller, lighter vehicles are cheaper to ship than larger vehicles. An inoperable vehicle will cost more to ship than an operable one.
- Trip distance: It will come as no surprise that the farther your car needs to be hauled, the more you will pay.
- Dropoff and pickup locations: Urban hubs are easier and cheaper to ship to. A remote rural location will cost more. International shipping will tack on additional charges.
- Open or enclosed shipping: Enclosed shipping, which is more protective of your car, costs more.
- Time of year: The auto transport industry has on and off-seasons. The peak season is during summer when many people are moving before the school year starts. Expect to pay more in summer, and less in winter.
How long does it take to ship a car?
Car shipping length includes both the time it takes to pick up the vehicle and the time it takes to transport it. Expect anywhere from 1–10 days for pickup, and 1–10 days for shipping domestically. International shipping will take more time. Inclement weather, poor road conditions, high traffic and rural pickup or dropoff locations will make the trip longer. As a rule of thumb, estimate that your driver will travel about 500 miles a day.
Can I ship a motorcycle?
You can ship a motorcycle, and it’s easy to do with an auto transport company that has experience shipping motorcycles. Shipping a motorcycle has a few different factors to consider vs. shipping a car, so make to sure you know the ins and outs of the process to find the best motorcycle shipping for you.
Can I ship a car overseas?
Shipping a car overseas is a complex process that can be made easy once you know how it works. Choosing a company that has experience shipping cars abroad is important. Once you are familiar with the steps involved in international car shipping, the entire experience will be much easier.
What’s the difference between an auto transport broker vs. carrier?
- Auto transport brokers: Auto transport brokers do not actually take part in shipping a vehicle. Instead, they charge you a fee for shipping your vehicle, then find a shipper for you. The benefit to using a broker is selection: brokers have access to a wide range of car transporters and can often get you a better rate than you could find on your own. Because of their flexibility in choosing from several carriers, going with an auto transport broker also tends to result in a quicker pickup than you could get when calling an individual carrier.
- Auto transport carriers: Auto transport carriers do the heavy lifting of loading, transporting vehicles and delivering them to their final destination. When you work with an auto transport carrier, you have direct contact with the carrier. This means that you will have a more accurate idea of pickup and delivery times, overall costs and insurance information. The downside to going directly to the car transportation service instead of a broker is that you need to do all the work when it comes to nailing down pricing information and availability.
Make sure that either the broker or the carrier is registered with the FMCSA, which is required by federal law. Registered brokers and carriers are given a six-digit number called their MC Docket number, which should be prominently displayed on their website. FMCSA recommends that consumers actively avoid doing business with any auto broker or auto carrier company that does not have their MC Docket number prominently displayed online as there is no way to guarantee they are legitimate.
Auto transporter expert reviews
Ship A Car Direct has been shipping cars for customers since 2008. They changed their name from Honesty First Auto Transport, which emphasized the importance of honesty to them, in order to make their services clearer to customers.
Executive Auto Shippers was founded in 2009 by experienced auto shipping professionals. It offers both domestic and international auto shipping services.
In business since 2010, eShip connects its customers with top-rated auto transport carriers. The company is licensed by the Department of Transportation to broker the shipment of household goods and also offers moving services to and from any location, nationwide.
As one of the most innovative names in the vehicle shipping industry, AmeriFreight tackled the biggest challenge facing today’s brokers: how to offer the best possible auto transport rates without sacrificing customers service and still providing the best protection.
ShipYourCarNow offers international and domestic vehicle shipping, with 24/7 customer service. They promise consumers fast shipping, an easy quote process and reliable service.
Using a network of more than 3,500 certified auto transport professionals, Road Runner Auto Transport offers fast and reliable shipping.
Sherpa Auto Transport is a national automobile transportation company. Sherpa works with a network of nationwide auto moving professionals to offer auto transportation tailored to its clients’ specific needs.
Stateway Auto Transport has been safely and reliably transporting vehicle since 1992. They maintain three times the minimum required insurance amount to offer their customers peace of mind.
With more than 50 years of experience, DAS is ready and willing to tackle any vehicle shipping. They have an internal fleet made up of more than 150 multiple car carriers and are happy to accommodate small loads and shorter distances.
EZ transport brings 30 years of experience to the table, along with a network of 5,000 trucking companies and 30,000 car carriers.
Headquartered in California, Direct Express Auto Transport is a revolutionary newcomer in the vehicle transport industry. They opened in 2003 with the first instant online quote that asks for no personal information.
As one of largest and longest operating auto transport companies in the country, Auto Driveaway has more than 40 local offices nationwide.
Auto Transport 123 is a vehicle transport company that offers door-to-door service for those who want to move their vehicles from place to place. The company has headquarters in both Rockville Centre, NY, and Boynton Beach, FL.
Owner-operated Transport Connection has a vested interest in customer service. To ensure that every customer is satisfied, Transport Connection offers extended office hours until 9 pm EST.
- International car shipping: Transportation Connection can help those who are moving to another country, even overseas.
- Open and enclosed shipping: Whether you’re shipping your old Honda or your prized Bentley, Transport Connection can help with whichever method offers the level of protection your vehicle deserves.
- Customer prep: Customers are responsible for preparing their own vehicles for shipment.
- Limited liability: According to their terms, neither the carrier nor TC is responsible for damage to your vehicle including that caused by natural occurrences (weather), any windshield or convertible damage, and even vandalism.
- Best for: Out of state movers, car collectors and small businesses.
King of the Road puts customer service first. They offer quick shipping, affordable pricing and no hidden fees. Their broker fee isn’t charged until after pickup, and the driver fee can be customized to meet the consumer’s budget while still providing the services they need.
As a transport broker, New World Auto Transport has more than 35 years of experience shipping vehicles. They can ship any type of vehicle and work hard to ensure smooth and trouble-free shipping.
- Specialty vehicles and large shipments accepted: Where other companies can only handle approximately 10 vehicles in a shipment, New World works with hundreds of carriers to offer a more complete shipping service.
- Insurance confirmed: They track down the DOT, FMCSA and insurance information on every carrier they use.
- Broker: They do not directly provide shipping services but instead contract with a third-party provider.
- Best for: Out-of-state mover, Car collector, Small business, Cab company
Compare Auto Transporter Reviews
|Auto Transport 123|
Read 48 Reviews
Fully licensed and bonded door-to-door car shipping company that ships worldwide. Open and enclosed auto transport. 24-hour live customer service and order tracking. Expedited service guarantees pickup within 24-72 hours.
|Stateway Auto Transport|
Read 595 Reviews
Door-to-door service with no upfront deposit. Fully insured and bonded carriers. Express and enclosed transport services available. Includes a $1 million carrier policy. Offers standard, premium and express options.
|National Auto Shipping|
Read 23 Reviews
Car shipping company that delivers cars throughout the United States, including Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico. All vehicles are fully insured. Coast-to-coast vehicle transport takes 7-14 days.
|American Auto Transporters|
Read 8 Reviews
Licensed, bonded and fully insured car shipping company offering open and enclosed services for domestic and international picking. In many areas, 24-48 hour pick-up is available. Smartphone app provides instant car tracking.
|American Auto Transport||Read 10 Reviews|
This auto transport company offers open and enclosed auto transports and works with over 2.500 transport carriers across the United States, including Hawaii. Active duty military members get a discount on auto shipping.
|Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS)|
Read 98 Reviews
Vehicle transport company that ships cars, trucks, boats, RVs and planes anywhere in the world. Offers door-to-door service and terminal-to-terminal service. Payment required in advance.
|All American Transport Company||Read 15 Reviews|
Fully licensed, bonded and insured car shipping company offering door-to-door and open or enclosed services for cars, trucks and SUVs. Coast-to-coast transport takes 7-14 days. A minimal deposit is required for each vehicle.
Car shipping company that offers truckaway service, expedited service and standard vehicle delivery with door-to-door service. Open and enclosed carriers available. Online vehicle tracking offered. Instant quotes available online.
|Direct Express Auto Transport|
Read 5 Reviews
Insured, licensed and bonded car shipping company offering standard, expedited and rush shipping throughout the continental U.S. 90% of orders ship in one week. A nominal deposit required online or over the phone.
|EZ Transport||Read Reviews|
Fully insured and bonded car shipping company offering door-to-door delivery in all 50 states. Pickups can be arranged as early as same-day. Pricing is not fixed and can vary on a daily basis. Average transit time is 2-7 days.
|New World Auto Transport||Read Expert Review|
Company specializes in nationwide, door-to-door auto transport services with open or enclosed transport. Storage facility available for drop-ship vehicles, overnight storage or early drop-off. Available 24-7 for dispatch.
|Transport Connection||Read Expert Review|
Licensed, bonded and insured car shipping company offering domestic or international shipping in an open or enclosed carrier. SUVs incur an extra fee. Coast-to-coast delivery takes approximately 7-10 days.
|National Auto Transport||Read 61 Reviews||Out of Business|
This company has gone out of business.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.