4.9/5 (1343 ratings)

About Montway Auto Transport

Montway Auto Transport is a nationwide company offering fast and reliable vehicle and motorcycle moving services. The company ships more than 100,000 vehicles annually and offers efficient auto transportation backed by years of experience across the entire United States, including Alaska and Hawaii. Montway provides services for both individuals and businesses. Shipments are closely monitored to ensure the highest level of safety and support. Insurance coverage is included in the price of shipping, and no upfront payment is required.

Pros

• No upfront payments
  • 24/7 sales and support
  • Free insurance coverage
  • Services all 50 states

Cons

• Must contact for tracking info

Bottom Line

Montway is a leading auto transport company with affordable rates and quality customer service. You can get instant online quotes and easily book your order. Montway is open 24/7 to answer all your auto shipping questions.

How does Montway Auto Transport work?

Montway Auto Transport works in an easy three-step process: quote and book, vehicle pickup and vehicle delivery.

1. Customers must choose what type of transportation they prefer, enclosed or open trailer, to receive a free instant online quote from one of the company’s 40,000-plus vetted and insured professional carriers. No upfront payment is required until your vehicle is assigned to a carrier.
  2. Upon booking your order, Montway’s logistics team searches their vast carrier network to identify the ideal transporter for your vehicle and desired ship dates. Once your order has been assigned to a carrier, Montway immediately notifies you by both phone and email with all carrier contact information and shipping details. They keep customers informed of updates throughout the process.
  3. The trucker drops off your vehicle either at your home or an agreed-upon location. After you conduct a detailed inspection for damage, you can accept the delivery.

Montway Auto Transport costs

The total cost of transportation varies based on location, distance of transport and vehicle type. Seasonality and current market demand can also impact costs. If the car doesn’t run, you’ll likely have to pay more.

For distances less than 500 miles, car transportation typically costs around $1.96 per mile. For trips between 500 and 1,500 miles, the cost is generally closer to 93 cents per mile. Any shipment 1,500 miles or greater costs around 60 cents per mile. This means a 1,500-mile transport from Atlanta, Georgia, to Denver, Colorado, costs around $900.

Expedited shipping is also available for an additional fee.

Montway Auto Transport FAQ

Where is Montway Auto Transport located?
Montway Auto Transport is located in Schaumburg, Illinois. Its partner haulers are located throughout the nation to offer faster services.
Is Montway Transport safe?
Yes, Montway Transport is safe. The company has a history of reliability and includes insurance up to $100,000.
Does Montway Transport have a warranty?
No, but car transportation includes insurance up to $100,000. This can help cover any type of damage that may occur during transportation.
Where does Montway Auto Transport ship?
Montway ships nationwide across all 50 states, including Alaska and Hawaii, as well as to/from Puerto Rico.
What types of vehicles does Montway ship?
Montway currently ships autos, motorcycles, classic cars, exotic cars, scooters, ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles, RVs and inoperable vehicles.

Is Montway Auto Transport legit?

Montway is a fully licensed and insured auto transport broker that has served more than 850,000 customers, including arranging shipment for nearly 200,000 cars, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, golf carts, UTVs and other vehicles in 2021. The company has more than 15 years of experience arranging vehicle moves across the U.S., including Alaska and Hawaii.

Montway offers customers the ability to call their trucker directly or use a 24/7 chat feature for real-time updates. We recommend Montway for car owners who prefer simplicity during their transportation experience.

Montway Auto Transport Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Montway Auto Transport?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Montway Auto Transport?

Original review: April 24, 2022

The only thing that was different was I wasn't sure on the timing. As soon as I put information into Montway's configurator online, I started getting automated calls and emails, literally every day, and I didn't have any more information. I know they were trying to be super responsive and follow up, but it was overwhelming. But they were super responsive. And once I had more details about the timing of the move, they were able to get me a quote almost immediately and arrange the transport very quickly.

I didn't know how much lead time I would need. So, I initially reached out three months before I needed the actual transportation because I didn't have a sense of how fast they could respond. But we made contact the day before. So, I knew roughly the time of arrival and it was right in line with what expectation that they set. We had to meet the courier, which was disappointing because we didn't have a car. And the reason that they gave was they said the truck could only get in certain areas because it was a big one. But the place that they picked was 12 miles away from our condominium. So, we had to take an Uber 12 miles to go to this place where we would pick up the car, which defeated the whole purpose. And I find it hard to believe that there aren't roads closer in that the truck could go because big moving vans come in here all the time. And maybe the truck is bigger even than a moving van, but it seemed odd that we had to meet them there.

The same thing happened on the pickup. Originally, they said they would come to the house to pick it up, but the driver called me an hour before the pickup and said, "Hey, can you come meet me at this Walmart?" It was 15 miles away. And I said, "Well, there's a Walmart that's walking distance from my house. If you can get to a Walmart, you can get the Walmart that's by my house." The driver did that on the pickup. On the delivery, they didn't. They said the car would be at this other location, which was a staging ground for the company. Also, the issue that I had was by the time I actually got ready to move the car, the fuel prices had gone up. So, the quote had to be revised upwards because of the increase in fuel charges. It ended up costing more than I thought it would originally be, but it was very reasonable.

Montway Auto Transport response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, Brent. We're happy to hear that overall you had a great experience. On top of typical truck restrictions, auto transport trailers have unique restrictions of their own such as low-hanging trees. Which greatly prohibits access to certain areas. In such cases, the carrier will arrange alternative locations that they know their truck can access. In any such case, the carrier should be making it as easy as possible for you. We would like to learn more about the arrangements and encourage you to contact us at feedback@montway.com.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I purchased a new vehicle that was across the country, and I needed some way to get it. I went with a carrier that the dealer selected, but they couldn't pick it up. I wasted three weeks waiting for them. Then I called another company and it was between this other company and Montway because they both were the largest and had the best reviews. The other company said that they would pick it up. I waited a week. They didn't. So, I cancelled them. I called Montway. They promised to pick it up in 72 hours. It was picked up in 72 hours.

I told the rep what I needed, where it was and where it needed to go. She gave me a quote and told me the parameters that they work with like, “We reach out to a driver. We do this. We do that. It should take this amount of time. This. That.” I went over the whole history with them and said, “Look. Here's my problem is that you're the third company that I've talked to, and every one of them has told me the same thing. And I still don't have my vehicle. I purchased it six weeks ago and my vehicle is not even on the road to get to me yet. It's just sitting there.”

They said, “Well, we do have another service. It's called a white glove service. It is a little bit more. But basically, at that point, we guarantee it'll be picked up within 48 hours. A driver will be assigned. All that.” It was only a couple hundred bucks more than the original service so I said, “Let's go with that.” She did it. It wasn't 24 hours later, and I got a text message that drivers have been assigned and they're going to pick it up on this date. That date came. I got another text message that said it's been picked up. I called and confirmed with the dealer. He said, “Yup. It had been picked up.” I just kind of followed along with them for the next week and a half until it got here.

They also called me and let me know that it had been picked up and gave me the actual driver contact information of who had the vehicle. I reached out to the driver and kind of dealt with him. From that point, I only had to reach out to him one time just to confirm that he was on the road. He kind of gave me the date, which said it was going to be between this and this. It was exactly what the lady at Montway told me. Then when that delivery date got here, he was a day early. He called me and said, “Hey, I'll be coming in tomorrow. Let me know where you want to meet, if you want me to come to your house, how you want to do it.” So, we set it up and then it got delivered. Then after that, Montway called me just to confirm that everything was good.

Montway Auto Transport response

Thank you, Adam, for choosing Montway. We appreciate your business and value your feedback.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

The driver stayed in very good contact with me right up until he arrived. I also made it very convenient for him. Because where I lived in New York, it was on a very busy highway and it wouldn't have been conducive to picking up cars. So I had him pick up the car about a mile from my house. It was a very large, open parking lot to make it easier and safer for him. The only thing was he had me nervous. When he opened the door of the terrain to get the mileage, he saw that I had stuff in it. He said, “Oh, you're going to have to pay more.” I said, “Well, I was told I could put 100 pounds in each vehicle.” But he kept stressing, “If I get weighed, you're going to have to pay more.” But I followed the directions. I was told to put everything below window level, which it was. It was covered and I kept it within the weight limit. But it all worked out in the end and I didn't have to pay more. I paid exactly what I was told I was gonna have to pay.

The brokers could communicate better with the drivers and say, “If you see an abuse of the rules, then say something.” But I follow the rules to a tee. The back end of the restored Ranchero is like a truck, and it has a frame to keep the Tonneau cover elevated. When the driver saw that it was elevated, he automatically concluded it was stuffed. I knocked on the wooden frame and said, “That's the frame that you're seeing. It's not up like that because it's so packed full of stuff. That's the frame holding up the Tonneau cover. It's just two, bowed wood pieces that hold the frame off. It's not a heavy structure.” So he has these concerns as a driver and he's got experience. But he was almost bullying me from the standpoint that he thought my cars were breaking the rules of being shipped, and they weren't.

The driver called me en route and said that a smaller company would do the delivery to the final destination. They were wonderful too, and very quick. I had the vehicles delivered to my daughter's address because it was much better. By the time we got down to the street, they already had one car off sitting at the street and they were working on getting the other one off. So that was very easy. They kept in great contact with me also, saying, “We're an hour out. We're a half hour out.” So the final delivery was very good.

Montway Auto Transport response

Thank you, Brenda, for sharing your experience with Montway.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I found Montway easy to work with. They were responsive to a fluid situation around dates. Because my son was moving, he had a lease that started at a certain date. He wouldn't have access to that property until that date, as you do when you rent a house. But he had no transportation down there until then, and he couldn't get down there early. So honing in on a date for the car to arrive was challenging. Montway needs a window of time. Because it's a long trip and there are lots of variables. And whoever they worked wanted to go with a full truck. So, narrowing that down was tricky. They just took that in stride. It was like, “Okay, so we'll back this off, and we'll do it this date.” They had it all under control. They reps would get answers to every question. I flew down with my son. And it was within 48 hours that we were there and the car arrived. So that's good. We had a rental car in the interim. And that worked out just fine.

I paid $100 stipend so that I could put a couple of plastic bins of clothing at the backseat. Because I know they don't like to travel with stuff in the car. Other than that, the quote was dead-on. The advertised service was door to door. But on the day of delivery, the carrier said that they couldn't deliver the car to my son's address for some reason. They said they couldn't find it on GPS. I said, “Obviously, it’s on GPS. We found it.” We’re not from Texas. We’re just driving around for a couple of days. We needed the GPS to find our way back home after we went out for dinner. So, it’s clearly in GPS. I didn't really get that. Except maybe it was just an inconvenience to go to a neighborhood.

They asked us to sign off on the vehicle at a Walmart, which is five minutes away. That would be the only kind of hiccup. We were at this Walmart parking lot looking for a giant transport truck. But Walmart, down there in Texas, things are big. This Walmart parking lot wrapped all the way around the building. We had to go find the guy, and sign-off on paperwork on the hood of a car, rather than being at his residence. Other than that, it was perfect. The car was in great shape. The driver was professional, got the car off the truck. And we walked around with him and made sure there weren't any additional dings, dents, or scratches. And everything was in good shape. I'm very pleased.

We did a comparison before we even set out on this. We said, “Well, what if we drove the car down ourselves?” So we looked into the cost involved with gas, 3.90 a gallon and driving 2,000 miles, a couple of nights at the hotel, tolls along the way and the excess mileage we slap on our car, and tires. It’s a 2015 car. It would cost us a grand to drive down ourselves, with gas and hotels. And for a modest amount more, we didn't have to spend three days on the road. So it was very effective, cost-wise. We're pleased with it.

Montway Auto Transport response

Hi Steven. Thank you for the detailed review. We are happy to hear Montway was easy to work with and you had a great experience with our representative. We apologize for the minor hiccup and appreciate your understanding. There are multiple reasons why a carrier may not be able to get to your door. When this happens, the carrier strives to meet as close as possible in an open parking lot that is safe for the customer and unloading the vehicle(s).

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

A neighbor saw my car and she asked how I got my car here from Hawaii and I said that I used a transport company. Then she said that her daughter was trying to move to California. So, the next time I saw her, I got her telephone number and forwarded the website and the telephone number of Montway. I told them about it because when I first had my car shipped to Hawaii, I used Matson. And during the pandemic, they said they were not going to do auto anymore, especially when it came to the mainland, like when it came to transporting the car from the location to Long Beach. They totally got out of the business. So, I went with Montway. They took care of everything from start to finish. So, I like them.

The quote was spot-on because you only get a limited time to respond. Even when I didn't respond because my timeline was shifting and I was telling the rep that I haven't decided because there were a lot of things I had to take care of, like logistics, making sure my personal stuff was being shipped to the mainland, they were patient.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't get a real time status of where my car was. So, I would call Montway and they would say that my car was still en route to Long Beach. They would send me periodic updates, such that my car was in the terminal in Long Beach and then, I would call them and they would tell me where the car was. It would be nice if they could integrate a real time status of where your car is. They can integrate the GPS of the transport truck with the car and anytime I go on, I’ll hit the order number and ask where my car is now. You can see the car on that transport truck transversing the continental US. Because in today's technology, people want real time data and that was the only issue I had.

The driver called me 48 hours before he was going to arrive. He was very professional. The complex was too tight where my car was going to be initially dropped of and the trucks can't navigate some of the streets. The guy told me that I got to meet him because if he puts a scratch on a car, then it's coming out of his pocket. So, that made sense and it didn't surprise me. I didn't realize that Montway offered covered transport and when I saw that, it was too late. But then, I was trying to save money. If I had a high-end car, like a Ferrari, I would have probably done that but our car was eight years old. And the guy should not eat in my car either.

Montway Auto Transport response

Thanks for the comments, William. We appreciate your feedback as we're always working to deliver the best experience possible. We're definitely aware of the desire for GPS tracking. Due to the way the auto transport industry is built, there are many complicated factors with integrating such tech. We're steadily working on this! We'll be sure to provide your feedback to the driver to improve services. If we can help with anything else please let us know.

Original review: May 16, 2022

I had a very good experience with Montway without knowing anything. I kind of panicked about having to move this car. I moved out of state and I was moving it to my state. I got online and looked up how to move a car. Then I found something about the best transporting service and Montway came up as one of the top 10. I also had a friend in the moving business and he said that's who he would use.

The car was my dad's antique car. It’s a 1974 convertible and it's been his baby forever. It was kind of wintertime, and I wasn't able to be there to get the car loaded up. I was uneasy about it because I didn't know anything. I didn't know what kind of vehicle it was going to be in. I was advised it's better to have an outdoor truck than an indoor one because the cars get knocked around. I had the car moved over from the house to the Buick dealership, and I had made sure that the car got safely on to whoever was coming. It turned out like the best story ever. I didn't have any idea of what was going to happen, and the guy who I've been working with at the Buick dealership said, "It was a really nice guy. Your car's inside. It's gonna be well taken care of." So, that was good. I didn't know that they tied the cars down, and it was also good because it was winter. I was worried about rain and snow and ice on the car.

This wonderful guy showed up and the car was in mint condition. I'm in Maine and the car came from New York state. The car was in a trailer. The guy had a pickup truck. The car was all tied down, and it took him like 20 minutes to get the car out of his trailer. He was a super nice guy. I felt like we were really lucky how well it went. I let the guy know and I let Montway know, too. I would use Montway again.

Montway Auto Transport response

Hello Elaine. Thank you for sharing your experience with Montway.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Montway did everything they promised with the exception of, on their website, they say they are going to provide me a bill of lading when they pick up the car and that was not the case. So, they either need to fix the website or they need to clarify exactly what that is. But other than that, as far as what was promised when I made the request to when they picked it up to when they delivered it, the service was excellent. There were a couple of phone calls and it was easy to get through and talk to them. So, that was all good.

Montway picked the vehicle up on the day they said they were going to, which was on the first possible day they could pick it up, and they dropped it off within four days. They got the vehicle there within the time frame they said. So, I was very satisfied with that. I was very leery of these auto transport companies because they don't have the greatest reputation on doing what they say. But Montway did exactly what they said they were going to do. So, I would highly recommend them.

Montway Auto Transport response

The bill of lading is signed at both pickup and delivery of the vehicle and is to be requested from the carrier, John. We will be sure to make this clearer so there is less confusion. We are thrilled to hear that everything went well with your shipment, thank you for choosing Montway.

Original review: May 14, 2022

They were great from start to finish from the moment they got booked. The driver was very communicative with the people he picked the car up from. Then when he got over here, he got it right off. The car is in good shape.

Montway Auto Transport response

Frank, we are glad to hear that the communication was to your liking. We look forward to working with you again!

Original review: May 13, 2022

Montway was pretty straightforward and the details were clear on what they were doing. The timeline was a little bit off, but we knew that the truck faced a lot of challenges for that. Also, they gave me a little bit of a discount because of that, which was nice. They kept me posted on where the vehicle was and they gave me a heads-up. I didn't have any challenges getting the car. It was in good condition.

Montway Auto Transport response

Henry, we are absolutely thrilled to hear that everything we well with your shipment. We truly love to hear about our carriers who go above and beyond, we will be sure to pass on the kind words.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I'll use Montway again. They were the third one that I contacted, and they were the first one to get back to me. They were reasonably priced. There were lower ones but the lower ones didn't guarantee a time and Montway did. The truck driver was awesome and couldn't have been nicer. He had to move four or five cars o get my little car ‘cause it was pretty well tucked in underneath. They watched it pretty good on the way here. He sat around and talked for a half hour because he had some cool other cars on there too that I looked at.

Montway Auto Transport response

Daniel, we are very glad to hear that everything was to your liking. We strive to provide competitive rates that are fair for both our customers and our carriers. Thank you for your kind words, we will be sure to pass them on to the carrier.

Montway Auto Transport Company Information