4.8(4,217)

About Montway Auto Transport

Montway Auto Transport is a nationwide company offering fast and reliable vehicle and motorcycle moving services. The company ships more than 250,000 vehicles annually and offers efficient auto transportation backed by years of experience across the entire United States, including Alaska and Hawaii. Montway provides services for both individuals and businesses. Shipments are closely monitored to ensure the highest level of safety and support. Insurance coverage is included in the price of shipping, and no upfront payment is required.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • No upfront payments
  • 24/7 sales and support
  • Free insurance coverage
  • Services all 50 states
Cons
  • Must contact for tracking info
  • Terminal-to-terminal transport not offered

Featured Reviews

Verified
Long Beach, CA

It was a great opportunity to get my vehicle shipped. The price was right. And it was efficient. Not only the pickup was great, but also the drop-off. Montway Auto Transport's dri...

Verified
Montgomery, AL

They did a good job. It was a good price. They picked the vehicle up, they delivered it on time, and there were no issues with the vehicle. The driver was excellent. He came, pick...

Insights from 2,573 recent reviews of Montway Auto Transport

We used sentence-by-sentence statistical analysis to decode nearly 2,600 Montway Auto Transport reviews published on ConsumerAffairs in the past year. Read below about customers who were happy, satisfied or upset about the four topics mentioned most often in reviews of Montway Auto Transport.

Montway Auto Transport staff reviews

The 943 recent Montway Auto Transport reviewers who discussed staff focused on the truckers or drivers that executed their vehicle’s shipment and delivery. Nearly 99% of those customers were satisfied, ranking Montway in the top five car shipping companies on our site for staff.

Positive reviewers said their drivers were efficient, courteous and communicative. Many described drivers who went the extra mile to coordinate convenient pickup or drop-off.

Montway Auto Transport customer service reviews

97% of 554 Montway Auto Transport reviewers who mentioned customer service were pleased, like a reviewer from Camden, New Jersey.

“They were timely and responsive. … Very accommodating,” Roxanne said. “It was imperative that I know exactly when the car was leaving here and when it was arriving at the destination, so that I can make arrangements to make sure (my husband) got to dialysis in both locations. They worked with me on that.”

Montway’s reviews on customer service rank it in the top five auto transporters on our site. Many reviewers praised customer service reps for clear, frequent communication and effective problem-solving in unique situations like Roxanne’s.

Montway Auto Transport punctuality & speed reviews

509 recent reviewers of Montway Auto Transport mentioned punctuality and speed. They generally reported that drivers were on time or early, deliveries were made quickly and some vehicles were even delivered ahead of schedule.

Reviewers also appreciated that Montway notified them a few hours before the driver arrived so they could prepare for drop-off or pickup.

Ultimately, Montway ranks in the top four car shipping companies on our site for punctuality and speed, with 98% of recent reviewers who mentioned this aspect happy or satisfied.

Montway Auto Transport pricing reviews

Of 567 recent Montway Auto Transport reviewers who talked about price, 99% were satisfied or happy with what they paid to ship their car. That ranks Montway in the top four auto transporters on our site for price.

Reviewers often told us that Montway’s pricing was reasonable and competitive with other car shipping companies. Some noted the accuracy of Montway’s quoted cost.

“My experience with Montway was excellent,” said Dennis from Tucson, Arizona. “The quote was spot-on. It was to the dollar.”

Stars Rating

• 89%
  • 8%
  • 2%
  • 1%
  • 1%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Montway Auto Transport?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Montway Auto Transport?
    Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed Dec. 17, 2023

We shipped a BMW X1 and a Jeep from the continental United States to Hawaii. I'm prior military. We're stationed here and we knew that Montway frequently does this. We were hoping not to have issues so we chose them. We've used them when we left here and the military used them. We had a great experience then. Customer service called me several times - once, to set it all up and then we had continuing conversations when the actual dates of shipping approached. We also shipped at two different times. They worked with us quite well and kept constant communication. Customer service was wonderful, just like everybody else in the company. The quote we got was a little excessive but it was right on market value and we were quite happy with it. We had a great experience.

The transport was expected to take two months. That was probably the worse case scenario date. They arrived quicker than expected by several weeks. They called us. I used the app which was great. It told me that the vehicle was there. I was able to contact Montway. We shipped the cars a week apart. When I picked up one vehicle, I was able to talk to them about the second vehicle. They gave me an estimated time, which was exactly when the vehicle arrived. It was ready the next day. In Hawaii, they use a ship. Somebody grabbed the vehicle and drove it up. We did a walk around and then they handed me the paperwork. Prior to leaving the security area, I had to show the paperwork again to another individual. They cleared me to leave the premises and take my vehicle. It was great.

The quality of the service was spot on. The gut-wrenching part was how much it cost. However, it was worth every penny with the way the cars were delivered as well as the professionalism. Montway is reliable and professional. Their website and the online tools are great. In today's world where you go on a website and try to ask for a quote, they want all your information and then you're gonna get a gazillion callbacks. That wasn't necessarily the case with Montway and I appreciated that. I would definitely do it all over again with Montway.

Pinned

Hello Angelo. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Shipping a vehicle by water is not an everyday task and can seem daunting to most. That is where Montway comes in to assist as we aim to provide a stress-free vehicle shipping process. We are pleased to hear that your vehicles arrived safely to Hawaii. Should you ever need our services again in the future, we are always here to help!

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Dec. 8, 2023

Montway was among the cheapest, and then someone called me and I talked to them. They also mentioned that I could put stuff in the trunk up to a certain weight. But as long as it was below the window line, it was okay and that was a big factor for us to be able to put bedding in the trunk or in the back seats as part of our move. Setting up the transport was pretty easy. It was good service. It was scheduled to take seven days and it was an accurate estimation. The pickup point was kind of funny. Montway claimed to be door-to-door and I told my parents, "Yeah, we don't have to do anything. They're just gonna come by and pick it up." My parents said, "You're crazy. There's no way they're gonna come actually to our house and pick up the car. They're definitely going to call you and ask to meet at like a Walmart parking lot two towns over." But I said, "That's what they said. You'll see." My parents were right.

The driver ended up calling me and asked, "Can you meet me at this Target parking lot." They said it was door-to-door. But the rig was so big that I completely understand why they couldn't make it up our little driveway. But it was kind of a bummer because it was an hour before they were supposed to pick it up. Other than that, it ended up being totally fine.

The drop-off was with my in-laws and it was a little bit stressful because they didn't give us a lot of heads-up about when they were going to be around. It was a really big window and both my in-laws worked. So it was a little bit of a touch-and-go stress. They parked the truck somewhere downtown because San Francisco is super hilly and it would have been really hard for them to bring it up. They left the rig in a parking lot, and then they drove two cars, our car and one of their cars, up to my in-laws' place, and then collected the balance that we owed them, and then drove back in the other car that they brought. So that part was door-to-door. Overall, I would use Montway again myself. But there were things that would make it better, which would be more communication, especially around the drop-off, and more of a heads-up and a smaller window.

Pinned

Hello Christen. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear of any inconvenience you experienced, but are happy to hear that the vehicle arrived safely. As our website and terms and conditions state, drivers pick up and deliver as close as safely and legally as possible to the requested address. There are many reasons that can restrict a driver’s access to the home such as low-hanging trees, tight turns, narrow roads, no safe place to turn around, etc. but this decision is solely up to the driver. Your comments regarding communication are appreciated and we will share those with the proper departments to improve services going forward. We are honored to have gained your business and should you ever need our assistance again in the future please let us know.

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Nov. 12, 2023

I looked out online, had somebody reach out to me, asked me what my needs were. Let me know that someone would reach out to me with further details, which Montway Auto Transport did. We talked through it. They needed to find a driver so they could solidify time of pickup and date. I was on a tight timeframe. They were accommodating and communicative.

When I landed in town, drove to Palm Springs, the driver was already in the area and kept communicating. I let him know I was an hour out. He got to the house within 15 minutes of my arrival and we went from there. Our house is in a golf resort, gated community, so there were no buildings or parking structures to get into. I left the name at the gate. He gave his name, let him know the address he was coming to in the gated community, came up, pulled in front of the house.

The driver was amazing. Because the car had been sitting for four or five years, it wouldn't start. He had to take the console apart in order to put the car in neutral to get it to roll out of the driveway to put it on the truck. And he spent a good hour and 15 minutes doing that with a kitchen knife to unscrew stuff because I didn't have any tools with me. And it wasn't communicated to him that he would have to do that. But he was patient.

We stood there with the need to have to take the console apart and we okayed it. We had already communicated to my sister what needed to be done to put the console back together on the other side. The courier-driver wanted to leave it undone because in order to move the car once he got it there, the same thing would need to be done. He carefully wrapped up the parts that he took apart of the console and put them in the back seat. Because it was electric, the top wouldn't go down either. It's convertible and it was left down in the garage, so it was open. He was very careful to put something on top of it. And when he dropped it off with my sister, he explained everything about how to put the console back together for whatever mechanic she would take it to.

He ended up needing to ask for our help because we had to push the car out of the driveway. He tried to do it himself. My husband and I asked if we could help him and he said, "I don't want you to get hurt." It was a two-seater convertible Cadillac. So it wasn't a big car. But still, trying to move an immobile object that's not in motion is hard. Here, he took the car to my sister's house, which was an underground parking structure. Which we understood, once I saw his truck, he would not be able to get to. He was also gracious enough to communicate with my sister an alternative place to drop the car off where his truck would fit.

Pinned

Hi Andrea. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate your kind words towards the driver and are pleased to hear that you were provided with excellent service. Should you ever need our services again, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are happy to help!

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed Oct. 8, 2023

My husband and I are seniors, we have a lot of cars, and we move around a lot. I first used Montway when I lived in New York. And at that time, we had a covered transporter because we had antique cars, and they were so good about the cars. So, we use them every time we move because we didn't have any problems. We started using them in 2016, and the last car that I transported was during the summer this year. I've had about eight cars that they've transported for me, so far.

We started out with two antique cars, a Jeep and a Mustang. There were four all together on the very first time we used them. That was from New York to Georgia. Then I used them from Georgia to Tennessee. When I was in Tennessee, my son also had a motorcycle and they helped me set up the transport of the motorcycle for him. Florida was another area that we were in and I transported the car from Florida. Then from Florida to Arizona, and from Arizona back to Florida. I never had a problem with any one of them.

Usually, I look at three different companies before I make a decision. Montway had the better prices, too. Whatever they quote me, that's what I pay. Usually, I'll put a request in online and look at it, and then they contact me back, and when they contacted me back, I told them, "Hey, you've moved several cars of mine." They pull up the file, and that's how they come up with the price. The other companies that I've used, they don't give you a discount for using them over and over again. So, I tell Montway what timeframe that I wanted the car to get there, and they try to accommodate that timeframe. And if they can't, they give me alternatives.

As far as the delivery, I'm not always at the other end. Usually, it's my sons that are involved, too, because I either ship it to one of their houses or I'm at the other location. So, when they'll come and pick a car up, whoever is picking it up gives me a timeframe. They'll call and tell me, "I'm within an hour away. Will you be home?" I'm like, "Yeah." Then they check the location to see if they can get the truck in, or they'll tell me, "Hey, can you meet me at a nearby location?" Sometimes, I'm shipping it to a residential neighborhood and they can't always get in the neighborhood with those big trucks.

I watch them put the car on, I have somebody at the other end, if I can't be there to watch and go over the car. They usually keep you abreast of what's going on. And if he doesn't feel comfortable putting the car on, he tells you that. Overall, the timeframe is even shorter, usually, than what I expect it to be.

Anybody that I know who needs to transport a car, I always tell them to use Montway. As far the sales process, you have to wait for them to get back to you at the initial contact. You don't always get somebody on the line right away. I first use the internet to put my request in, and then somebody usually calls you back.

Pinned

Hello Bernadette. Thank you so much for sharing your remarkable experience with Montway Auto Transport. We're honored to have been your trusted choice for multiple vehicle transports, and we greatly appreciate your continued trust and support.

It's fantastic to hear that our services have consistently met your expectations in terms of pricing, reliability, and flexibility. Your recommendation means the world to us, and we'll continue to strive to provide top-notch service to both you and anyone you refer to us. If you ever need our assistance again in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Customer ServicePriceStaffDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed Aug. 31, 2023

Montway shipped my BMW 7 Series. The transport was fairly easy to set up. They match you with a dispatch, and then the dispatch takes over. So, in my case, the dispatch was in touch with the dealership. They also provide you with the phone number and some sort of way to contact the driver of the dispatch, and then also the company that is managing the dispatch. That was also fairly easy to manage. They did miss the pickup on the first occasion, but that was some misunderstanding between the dealership and the dispatch. The dispatch gave us a window of three days and the car wasn't ready to pick up yet. So, I got a phone call about that from Montway indicating that this was something that happens and they gave me an option to either pause the pickup or reschedule it. They didn't charge me any additional fees for the pickup. So, it was a fairly reasonable experience as far as the logistics are concerned.

As far as the quote, it was fairly competitive. The delivery was interesting. I was in touch with the dispatch company. They gave me updates on when the car would be available and where should we schedule a pickup. My house is on a street which has freeway speed limits of about 55 miles an hour. There's no option for the semi with 30 odd cars to block that street. We agreed to take the delivery at a nearby Target store. The semi would come in, they would park there, and then they'd wait for me and I'd Uber myself to that place and then pick up the vehicle. That went fairly smoothly.

I got a call from the driver about the ETA of their arrival. I was able to meet them and they were already there. I didn't have to wait. So, that was great. It was an open delivery. That is also an option that they give you. You can pay extra for a closed top or a covered delivery. I opted for the open one. It was cheaper. In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have because they were traveling a long distance, and there were a lot of variable climate conditions. When they arrived, the car had a lot of dirt piled up on it and a lot of water marks. It was evident that it rained hard along the way. Even though the driver said that they made sure that the car was cocooned inside so it wouldn't be exposed to too much elements, but that's still the case.

The only thing that didn't go so well was the way that the vehicle was off-loaded from the semi from the truck. They have a couple of hooks that allow them to sort of grip the vehicle so they can maneuver it and move it around or have it be stationary on the truck. So, I think they put the hooks around the control arms of my vehicle and during the off-loading stage, they sort of dragged the vehicle using the control arm. So, that sort of bent the control arm. I hit a pothole after that. The driving was fine and I had to get my wheels replaced and tires replaced, but they couldn't align the wheels because the control arms were bent. So, I had to pay the dealership to replace the control arm so they could do that. But enough time had passed from the day that I bought the vehicle to when this incident happened and I had to go through that process that I couldn't necessarily do anything about that.

There was no way for me to prove that this was something that was the dispatcher's fault. But after talking to the dealership, that is what they suggested. My car wasn't towed at any point between me taking the delivery, and then me getting to have the control arms replaced. I just didn't propagate that issue either because I just want it to be over with and I wanted to get back into my vehicle and not deal with warranty at that time. Overall, Montway's customer service was on point. The coverage that I looked at was, at that time, ample for me. The sales and marketing process were just invasive. They call me a lot and they really wanted to get the business.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Sid. We appreciate your comments as we are always working to deliver the best service possible. If you have any further comments or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. Sincerely, Montway.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedStaffDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed July 19, 2024

I've had very poor customer service with many other dispatchers. But Montway's reps answer the phone right away and they're available by chat. They have people with strong accents, but that's common in this industry. Each time some new person answered the phone, they were able to review my case quickly and answer my questions. I spoke to five people at Montway and all of them were knowledgeable, professional, and helpful. My car was scheduled to be picked up between April 1st and April 5th. So I was preparing for that and I was expecting that sometime during that window, the agent will find me a truck. But I got contacted on March 29th, a couple of days before the first pickup date, and they said they already found me a truck. And they were ready to pick up my car on the first available ship date.

Montway charges a high price, however, their total price does not change and I like that about them. The other truck shipping companies would lowball me, give me a low price, then at the back end, increase the price saying it was just an estimate that they gave me. Also, even though Montway's upfront cost for themselves is $229, which is higher than other dispatchers, still, their total price was lower than the other shipping companies.

Montway's communication was also annoying to a fault. There were so many emails and so many text reminders about the pickup date, delivery, and updates. I did not respond to them, but I really appreciated it. That made me feel like they were on top of my car shipping. I've shipped my card seven times in the past 15 years and I have done two times with Montway. And the reason I went back was because they gave me the best price, the best service, and the most efficient treatment.

Pinned

Thank you for your positive feedback about Montway Auto Transport! We're glad our prompt customer service, clear pricing, and effective communication made your experience smooth and reassuring. We appreciate your trust and loyalty. If you have any future transport needs or questions, feel free to reach out.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed July 18, 2024

Montway undercut the competition and price. They were cheaper than the rest of them, but they did a really good job. I had to check the reviews for the company after I saw the quote. It was so much lower than the other companies. But they had good reviews, so I went with them and I wasn't disappointed. They were very professional. Everything seemed clear and cut and dried. I didn't think the instructions were too complicated. As far as the pickup, it wasn't direct because the truck wouldn't fit on the road where my house was. So I had to meet them, but the communications were easy. The car showed up quicker than I expected.

Pinned

Thank you for choosing Montway Auto Transport! We're glad our competitive pricing and positive reviews led you to select our service. We're pleased to hear everything went smoothly with clear communication and professional handling. If you have any future transport needs or questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Staff

Reviewed July 18, 2024

My car arrived sooner than what was anticipated. They told me that it was gonna be here on Saturday and it arrived on a Thursday. They did over and above what they promised. The driver was extremely friendly. He talked for a few minutes. He had one more car to deliver after he dropped mine off. The car also arrived in perfect condition. Everything was great in my experience with Montway.

Pinned

Thank you for your positive feedback! We're delighted your car arrived earlier than expected and in perfect condition. It's great to hear our driver provided friendly service and that everything went smoothly. If you need our services again or have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed July 11, 2024

I would recommend to friends, family, and co-workers. The car was delivered early with 0 damage and the driver communicated with me every step of the way. This is the best transportation company! It was very easy to set up the delivery and customer service was fantastic! Thank you Montway!

Pinned

We are so glad that everything went well, Sheldon. Thank you for spreading the word, and for choosing Montway!

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed July 11, 2024

After an initial miscommunication with the seller about pick up. Montway was great and worked with us to get the purchased vehicle from Tennessee to Arizona. The driver kept us informed on when he would arrive to drop our vehicle off. Would definitely use again. Montway delivered the vehicle quickly and safely.

Pinned

We are thrilled that we could work everything out for you to have a quick and safe transport, J. Thank you for choosing Montway!

Montway Auto Transport FAQ

How does Montway Auto Transport work?

Montway Auto Transport works in an easy three-step process: quote and book, vehicle pickup and vehicle delivery.

1. Quote and book: Customers must choose what type of transportation they prefer, enclosed or open trailer, to receive a free instant online quote from one of the company’s 40,000-plus vetted and insured professional carriers. No upfront payment is required until your vehicle is assigned to a carrier.
      2. Vehicle pickup: Upon booking your order, Montway’s logistics team searches its vast carrier network to identify the ideal transporter for your vehicle and desired ship dates. Once your order has been assigned to a carrier, Montway immediately notifies you by both phone and email with all carrier contact information and shipping details. It keeps customers informed of updates throughout the process.
      3. Vehicle delivery: The trucker drops off your vehicle either at your home or an agreed-upon location. After you conduct a detailed inspection for damage, you can accept the delivery.
      How much does Montway Auto Transport cost?

The total cost of transportation varies based on location, distance of transport and vehicle type. Seasonality and current market demand can also impact costs. If the car doesn’t run, you’ll likely have to pay more.

For distances less than 500 miles, car transportation typically costs around $1.96 per mile. For trips between 500 and 1,500 miles, the cost is generally closer to 93 cents per mile. Any shipment 1,500 miles or greater costs around 60 cents per mile. This means a 1,500-mile transport from Atlanta, Georgia, to Denver, Colorado, costs around $900.

Expedited shipping is also available for an additional fee.

What are Montway Auto Transport shipping options?

Montway currently ships autos, motorcycles, classic cars, exotic cars, scooters, ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles, RVs and inoperable vehicles. You can choose to have your car transported in an open or closed trailer.

Montway only offers door-to-door shipping; unlike some other companies, it does not offer terminal-to-terminal shipping.

Where is Montway Auto Transport available?

Montway ships nationwide across all 50 states, including Alaska and Hawaii, as well as to/from Puerto Rico.

Montway Auto Transport is located in Schaumburg, Illinois. Its partner haulers are located throughout the nation to offer faster services.

Is Montway Auto Transport a broker or carrier?

Montway is an auto transport broker, which means it works with a preferred network of transport companies to ensure your vehicle or fleet is shipped safely and efficiently to its destination.

Is Montway Auto Transport legit?

Montway is a fully licensed and insured auto transport broker that has served more than one million customers, including arranging shipment for over 250,000 cars, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, golf carts, UTVs and other vehicles in 2023. The company has more than 16 years of experience arranging vehicle moves across the U.S., including Alaska and Hawaii.

Montway’s car shipping includes insurance up to $100,000. This can help cover any type of damage that may occur during transportation.

Montway offers customers the ability to call their trucker directly or use a 24/7 chat feature for real-time updates. We recommend Montway for car owners who prefer simplicity during their transportation experience.

Montway Auto Transport Company Information