4.7/5 (21 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Shawn Richardson

About Ship A Car, Inc.

Ship A Car, Inc. is an auto transport broker that serves individuals and businesses in all 50 states. The company coordinates open and closed shipping from door to door for all types of vehicles and equipment. You can get a quote by filling out a form online or by calling and speaking with a representative. Ship A Car, Inc. is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Pros

• Direct pickup and drop-off
  • Military discounts
  • Dedicated transport coordinator

Cons

• No 24-hour phone support

Bottom Line

Ship A Car brokers door-to-door vehicle shipping services for individuals and businesses across the U.S. The company offers open and enclosed transport and moves all types of vehicles. Get a free quote online or by phone.

Top Ship A Car, Inc. Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I'm a snowbird and I'm 84 years old. I used to drive back and forth but at my age, that's not safe. I don't see another alternative to Ship A Car. ... The trip last fall was amazi...

Verified

I've been working with Ship A Car for years. Danny over there takes care of me well. He gets me a broker right away. The few times I've had issues with the carrier, he helped me t...

What is Ship A Car?

Ship A Car is a vehicle-shipping broker that assists both individuals and businesses with moving cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, boats, trailers and equipment throughout the U.S. The company has a network of thousands of carriers it uses for various shipping services, including both open and closed transport. Ship A Car has been in business over 10 years and has worked with more than 50,000 clients. It's based in Coral Springs, Florida, and is available to customers in all 50 states.

How does Ship A Car work?

To move your vehicle with Ship A Car, follow these four steps:

1. Get an instant quote. Fill out a form and use the online shipping cost calculator to get an instant quote. Or, if you prefer to speak to a shipping specialist, call Ship A Car directly.
  2. Book your reservation. After receiving your quote, you can book vehicle transport online or over the phone. To complete your reservation, you need to sign a transport contract.
  3. Your vehicle is assigned to a carrier. Ship A Car assigns your vehicle to the best carrier for your route, shipping type, schedule preference and budget. Your initial payment is due. You then receive specific information about pickup and delivery times and the driver.
  4. Vehicle is picked up, transported and delivered. Your truck driver arrives on the pickup day, at which point you both inspect your vehicle and sign a bill of lading before it leaves. Once your vehicle arrives at its destination, there’s a final inspection and you sign again to complete the delivery. At this point, you make your final payment directly to the driver.

Ship A Car provides a checklist with tips on how to protect and prepare your car before transport. It includes steps like washing your car (which makes it easier to inspect), checking for leaks, having the appropriate amount of fuel, removing personal items from the interior and removing toll tags.

Ship A Car service

With Ship A Car, you can choose between open and enclosed shipping:

• Open carrier: Open-carrier shipping is the cheapest and most common service offered by Ship A Car. The vehicle is shipped straight to your door in an open trailer.
  • Enclosed carrier: Enclosed-carrier shipping is the safest way to transport your vehicle because your car won’t be exposed to weather or debris from the road.

Additional individual shipping services:

For businesses, Ship A Car offers:

• Corporate relocation
  • Fleet management
  • Dealer relocation
  • Auction, eBay and salvage car transport

Ship A Car also offers shipping solutions for specialized vehicles and heavy equipment, including:

• Pipes and logs
  • Cargo vans
  • School buses
  • Snow removal equipment
  • Project cargo
  • Convention and trade show equipment
  • Trailers
  • Tractors
  • Food trucks
  • Boats and yachts
  • Campers, mobile homes and RVs

Ship A Car costs

To find out about Ship A Car’s pricing, you can request a quote online or by calling. Shipping costs depend on factors such as the type of car, the shipping method, the shipping date and the distance between destinations. You can expect enclosed-carrier shipping to be more expensive than open-carrier shipping. Ship A Car requires a small deposit at the time a carrier is assigned; you then pay the balance to the driver at vehicle delivery.

Ship A Car offers discounts for active-duty military, veterans, reservists, National Guard members and military dependents. College students and seniors also qualify for discounts.

Ship A Car FAQ

Is Ship A Car a broker or carrier?

Ship A Car is an auto transport broker. The company assigns your vehicle to a carrier in its network.

Is Ship A Car available on the weekend?

Contact Ship A Car directly during business hours to find out about pickup and delivery availability on weekends. Customer support is available Monday through Saturday.

Is Ship A Car licensed and bonded?

Ship A Car is registered with the FMCSA at the time of publishing and has valid MC Docket and USDOT numbers.

When do I pay Ship A Car?

You make a small initial payment once your car is assigned to a carrier. You make a final payment directly to the driver when the car arrives at its destination.

Is Ship A Car legit?

Ship A Car, Inc. has provided vehicle shipping services to thousands of customers over more than a decade in the business. It's registered with the FMCSA and is a good option for shipping nearly any type of vehicle anywhere in the U.S., including Alaska and Hawaii. We recommend going online or calling to get a quote and comparing the cost, services and reviews with other companies before scheduling transport.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship A Car, Inc.?

Original review: June 12, 2022

The rep who answered the phone was a car person. He explained to me that his dad had lots of cars and he had a Dairy Queen and they parked their cars out front. I’ve always been around race cars and he has a racecar. So, out of all the people I talked to, whoever that rep was, he was the most knowledgeable. He is probably Ship A Car’s best salesman. The car was to be transported to my house and they said it would be here Friday. I was out of town and I was driving back from Fort Worth in the evening on Wednesday, and I get a call. The man said that he would like to drop off my car that night. I said that I was not even at my house and asked how he got down so fast. It was Wednesday. He said not to worry about it and asked if he could drop it off between 7:00 and 8:00.

I got up in the morning and my wife informed me that the sprinkler people were coming. So at 7:15, at least four pickup trucks and about eight guys showed up, and they all parked around our house. And at 7:45, a neighbor, two houses down, was replacing their fence. So, another four trucks showed up with eight guys. And accordingly, I’m going, “Where is this guy?” And sure enough, here he comes with the transport, zigzagging in between all these parked trucks. He asked where he would park. I told him to back it in our cul-de-sac and he did. Then, the local security guard asked if I was moving. I told him I was getting a car delivered. So, he stops.

There must be 20 people, all watching. Then the driver asked if I knew how to drive a stick shift. He couldn’t get the car out of the carrier because he couldn’t drive a stick. So I told him I would help him. He’s got two cars in the carrier, mine, which follow in the front, and another car that’s barely turned over. It’s shaking and rattling, and he backs that out. He puts it in neutral and it’s just sitting there idly. He comes back in and gives me the keys. I asked him if he realized how much space there was between the door and the carrier and I couldn't get in the car. He’s a skinny guy so he gets in the car. I told him to wind the window down, get out of the car and let me see if I can hold on the top of the carrier, and I’ll get in like a racecar driver. So, that’s what I did. And the moment I turned on that car, I was in heaven. The sound of that car gave me goosebumps, and I backed it up probably about a half a mile per hour, super slow.

I drive around all the cars and I said that I got to inspect this because it was way dustier than what the photo showed. I looked at it and it was perfect. Finally, my wife started talking to the two other people that wanted to talk to me but I said that I gotta get this in the garage and check it out. The driver was gonna leave and once he leaves, if there were any problems, it’s sorry, Charlie. Then, we paid the driver and he was all smiles because it was 1s, 5s, 10s, 20s and 50s. We hadn't had a chance to go to the bank to just give him a 100. And he got in his trailer. It was a very nice experience.

Ship A Car, Inc. response
I’m Glad I could keep it Simple for you Mr. Meyer!
Sounds like a Great Day was had by ALL!!!!
Let me know the next time I can be helpful, it will be a PLEASURE.

Doug

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 26, 2022

The price was right with Ship A Car and their guy was friendly on the phone. His name is David and he did a really good job. My UTV went from Racine to Las Vegas then from Las Vegas back to Racine. Each one was about three to four days. I just called the rep and told him to call me about a day before he got there and an hour before he got there.

They dropped the UTV off in Vegas with my buddy. When we brought it back to Racine, I was there and they gave me a call and told me the time the driver was gonna be there. I met him there and we took the UTV off the truck. It was just exactly the way I left it. The final price for the service was pretty much almost exactly what it was supposed to be. I was very happy with Ship A Car and I'd recommend it.

Ship A Car, Inc. response

Thank you Jason. It was a pleasure getting this done for you and getting this all coordinated. Glad I was a small part of the fun. As Always call us anytime you need.

Original review: May 22, 2022

The rep was very helpful. Pickup was Clarkston, Michigan on a Wednesday and the car wasn’t delivered until the following Saturday. It was in the email, very clear, that it would probably be delivered on that Friday, 10 days later. I thought it would come on a Monday or Tuesday. But when I looked at the email, it clearly said Friday. It ended up showing up on Saturday, which was fine. I was out of state, traveling for work. So, I didn’t need the vehicle, but I just had to schedule my friend to be there. Thankfully, she’s a very good friend. I saw the car on Monday. It was very dirty but that’s expected. It was dirty when it left, but it was way dirty. But it was in the same shape as it was when I left it with my sister for it to be picked up. I already recommended Ship A Car, Inc. to a coworker.

Hi Tina

I’m glad to hear everything went well. Thanks for the recommendation

If you ever need anything moved call me again

Steve

Original review: May 12, 2022

My agent was Doug and he was professional, courteous, and as truthful as he could be. He kept me informed every step of the way and was very cooperative. As our circumstances change, I made him aware and he changed things up as we were going. I was shipping my deceased husband's car to our daughter. Things had to line up before I could ship that car and I explained that to Doug at the outset. He worked with me.

I live in a rural area with narrow streets. He said, “I'm gonna put the car up for some driver with the explanation of the circumstances. We will make that driver aware. And we'll go from there.” Somebody accepted the car within 24 hours and I was totally shocked. Doug explained everything to the driver and the driver said he could handle it. When I made contact with the driver and I re-explained to him, he said, “I committed to picking this car up so that you would not have to walk, you would not have to meet me anywhere. You wouldn't have to leave your home. This car is literally going door to door.”

The morning that he was coming to pick up the car, the driver called me and notified me that he was in the area. I knew exactly where he was. I again said to him, “Maybe you should just stop on the larger street or the wider street, and give me a call. And then reassess whether or not you can get down into my narrow road to pick up the car.” I heard that driver before I saw him. He got down out of his big truck and said he couldn't turn around. But I was told not to worry as this was the commitment he made. We looked over the car and he took pictures of my vehicle. He loaded the 2006 Sonata on the back of his truck and it was ready to go.

He gave me an approximate delivery date to my daughter. But his plan changed. The driver did not call to tell me but that was perfectly all right. My daughter was looking forward to the weekend and when she reached him, he told her he would have the car there on Monday morning, which he did. I just wished that I had known it wasn't going to get there then I wouldn't have been so anxious that Saturday. But he didn't know. Other than that, the driver delivered and the car was in excellent condition when my daughter got it. The gentleman backed his big, old, long truck out of this narrow street. I was impressed because nobody else did. I am grateful to Ship A Car.

Thank You Ruby!!!

It was a pleasure helping you and your Family.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I called up Ship A Car and they were very courteous on the phone. They were understanding that at my age, I'm not quick on the computer and on a whole bunch of things. But I knew what I wanted. They said they would find somebody. They said, "Give us a day." They came back and gave me a basic price. Then they came back and said, "We found somebody who will do it for $50 less. It's enclosed. Everything is perfect. We've had a lot of good feedback with them." So I gave them my credit card and they took their money. I also paid for the extra insurance because it was a specialty car.

Ship A Car reduced the amount that they would get in their pocket by $50 when carrier number one could not pick up the car timely and they had to go to carrier number two, which was the fellow I ended up with. It was perfect. The guys were personable and it was a nice experience. The only thing was that I didn't know when the driver was going to show up. They said, "We'll pick it up Friday or Tuesday or Wednesday or whatever." They couldn't give me a time. So the gentleman called me and said that they were stuck at the car dealership so instead of getting here at 10 in the morning, they were going to arrive at 2:00 or 3:00. He kept me posted along the way telling me when he was going to arrive. So it was a pleasant experience.

When the driver pulled up, he had a Porsche in there, which he pulled out and then put my car in the middle because of the way it was going to be dropped off at the other location. They strapped it all down. He took pictures before it left. Then it was in Nebraska from Long Island in a couple of days. They said it could take anywhere from four to six days, but it only took two and a half days. I was very pleased. My son looked at the car when it arrived and it arrived just the way it left.

Ship A Car, Inc. response

Hi, Florence. Thank you for your kind response. Glad everything went well.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Ship A Car is a contractor for whoever ships the car. They put the job into a bidding system with approximate dates for when I wanted to travel and we did not have a specific location, but I told them a general area where I'd be willing to take the car. I received a 24-hour notice to get the car to a certain state but no location and time to meet anyone. That was revised the next day with an hour and a half's notice to meet someone in a different state, in a location that was closer to me, which was fine, except that it was insufficient time for me to plan. It was a week earlier than I requested and I had less than an hour to drop everything and get my car to that location. That was less than ideal.

Requests for clarification from the original contact along the way were not responded to. When it came time for me to receive the car, I started getting text messages from someone I never heard of before, saying, “We’ll be there with the car in four hours.” At least we agreed upon a designated parking lot for me to have a family member meet, but again, it was considerably before we agreed that the car would be delivered. I was not even in the same state at that time because it was earlier. It created a lot of tension and confusion.

The person was also asking me to just bring cash to the location, then they requested I Venmo them directly. I reached out several times to Ship A Car and to the subcontractor to request confirmation that this was the person I was supposed to be giving money to and that this was not fraud. No one ever responded. In the end, I had a family member meet them in the parking lot, and I told him, “When we see the car and my brother has the key in his hand, then I will Venmo you the money.” That's what happened.

In general, the car was fine. Nothing bad happened to it. The price was also good, but communication was horrible and caused a lot of undue stress on a whole group of related people. There are some things that can be done ahead of time. My perspective is, they'll be very nice to you before they get your money, but once they have it, they don't really care. It was a very odd experience, all in all.

Ship A Car, Inc. response

Hi, Leslie. Sorry to hear you did not have a great experience with our carrier we provided for you. They have multiple pick up and deliveries and try their best with coordinating with every individual customer. I am glad your car was delivered safely and you where happy with the price.

Original review: June 7, 2022

There's damage to the car. It looks like somebody in a white car hit the car from the back. The tail light is broken above and below, and it has been displaced.

Wen I read the contract, it said that there’s a $500 deductible, and you have to tell Ship A Car, Inc. within 24 hours. But the driver was a very nice guy. He was great. He delivered the car to me. I got into the car. And when I got out of the car, I saw the damage. When I went to check on my stuff to see if my stuff was still in the trunk, and I started looking around. The car was delivered a little later than it was supposed to. I was just trying to get to where I was going. So when I parked the car, I looked at it quickly, and I saw the damage, and I went inside.

This is my second time using them. The first time was amazing. I used them the first time to ship the car to California, and they were great. That was why I used them again. But if I called them and they give me a hard time, I wouldn’t use them the next time or recommend them. Because the car was in perfect condition. It’s an older car but it’s immaculate.

Ship A Car, Inc. response

Hi Patricia, Sorry to hear there was damage to your vehicle during transport. We received your pictures and are working with the carrier to get this resolved. I hope we can get this resolved quickly. Thanks, Brian

Original review: June 5, 2022

The Ship A Car rep told me everything that I needed to know. Everything went as well as it could have. However, in-between times, I didn't get any updates. But as far as the information he gave me and what was done, it was spot on. The pickup was in Columbus, Ohio and the drop-off was in Frisco, Texas. The car got there a day earlier than expected, so that was a plus. I was happy about that. The driver was also great. He called and said he was about 40 minutes out. He dropped it off, signed the paperwork and received the money. I will recommend Ship A Car to anybody going that route.

Hi Phillip

I’m glad everything went well. If you need anything moved please call me again

Steve

Original review: June 4, 2022

It was a great experience. I’d do it again.

Ship A Car, Inc. response

Thank you so much. It was a pleasure transporting such a unique vehicle. Let me know if you need anything else transported.

Sincerely,

David Pillow

Original review: June 2, 2022

Ship A Car did a really nice job. They were very professional and very friendly. The rep who helped me set everything up was very good. Also, the driver took very good care of the truck. It was just as clean when it got at the drop-off as when it left me in Arizona.

Hi Michael

I was glad to hear everything went well. Thanks again for your business. If you need anything shipped again please call.

Ship A Car, Inc. Company Information