4.7/5 (57 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Shawn Richardson

About Ship A Car, Inc.

Ship A Car, Inc. is an auto transport broker that serves individuals and businesses in all 50 states. The company coordinates open and closed shipping from door to door for all types of vehicles and equipment. You can get a quote by filling out a form online or by calling and speaking with a representative. Ship A Car, Inc. is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Pros

• Direct pickup and drop-off
  • Military discounts
  • Dedicated transport coordinator

Cons

• No 24-hour phone support

Bottom Line

Ship A Car brokers door-to-door vehicle shipping services for individuals and businesses across the U.S. The company offers open and enclosed transport and moves all types of vehicles. Get a free quote online or by phone.

Top Ship A Car, Inc. Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I'm a snowbird and I'm 84 years old. I used to drive back and forth but at my age, that's not safe. I don't see another alternative to Ship A Car. ... The trip last fall was amazi...

Verified

I've been working with Ship A Car for years. Danny over there takes care of me well. He gets me a broker right away. The few times I've had issues with the carrier, he helped me t...

What is Ship A Car?

Ship A Car is a vehicle-shipping broker that assists both individuals and businesses with moving cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, boats, trailers and equipment throughout the U.S. The company has a network of thousands of carriers it uses for various shipping services, including both open and closed transport. Ship A Car has been in business over 10 years and has worked with more than 50,000 clients. It's based in Coral Springs, Florida, and is available to customers in all 50 states.

How does Ship A Car work?

To move your vehicle with Ship A Car, follow these four steps:

1. Get an instant quote. Fill out a form and use the online shipping cost calculator to get an instant quote. Or, if you prefer to speak to a shipping specialist, call Ship A Car directly.
  2. Book your reservation. After receiving your quote, you can book vehicle transport online or over the phone. To complete your reservation, you need to sign a transport contract.
  3. Your vehicle is assigned to a carrier. Ship A Car assigns your vehicle to the best carrier for your route, shipping type, schedule preference and budget. Your initial payment is due. You then receive specific information about pickup and delivery times and the driver.
  4. Vehicle is picked up, transported and delivered. Your truck driver arrives on the pickup day, at which point you both inspect your vehicle and sign a bill of lading before it leaves. Once your vehicle arrives at its destination, there’s a final inspection and you sign again to complete the delivery. At this point, you make your final payment directly to the driver.

Ship A Car provides a checklist with tips on how to protect and prepare your car before transport. It includes steps like washing your car (which makes it easier to inspect), checking for leaks, having the appropriate amount of fuel, removing personal items from the interior and removing toll tags.

Ship A Car service

With Ship A Car, you can choose between open and enclosed shipping:

• Open carrier: Open-carrier shipping is the cheapest and most common service offered by Ship A Car. The vehicle is shipped straight to your door in an open trailer.
  • Enclosed carrier: Enclosed-carrier shipping is the safest way to transport your vehicle because your car won’t be exposed to weather or debris from the road.

Additional individual shipping services:

For businesses, Ship A Car offers:

• Corporate relocation
  • Fleet management
  • Dealer relocation
  • Auction, eBay and salvage car transport

Ship A Car also offers shipping solutions for specialized vehicles and heavy equipment, including:

• Pipes and logs
  • Cargo vans
  • School buses
  • Snow removal equipment
  • Project cargo
  • Convention and trade show equipment
  • Trailers
  • Tractors
  • Food trucks
  • Boats and yachts
  • Campers, mobile homes and RVs

Ship A Car costs

To find out about Ship A Car’s pricing, you can request a quote online or by calling. Shipping costs depend on factors such as the type of car, the shipping method, the shipping date and the distance between destinations. You can expect enclosed-carrier shipping to be more expensive than open-carrier shipping. Ship A Car requires a small deposit at the time a carrier is assigned; you then pay the balance to the driver at vehicle delivery.

Ship A Car offers discounts for active-duty military, veterans, reservists, National Guard members and military dependents. College students and seniors also qualify for discounts.

Ship A Car FAQ

Is Ship A Car a broker or carrier?

Ship A Car is an auto transport broker. The company assigns your vehicle to a carrier in its network.

Is Ship A Car available on the weekend?

Contact Ship A Car directly during business hours to find out about pickup and delivery availability on weekends. Customer support is available Monday through Saturday.

Is Ship A Car licensed and bonded?

Ship A Car is registered with the FMCSA at the time of publishing and has valid MC Docket and USDOT numbers.

When do I pay Ship A Car?

You make a small initial payment once your car is assigned to a carrier. You make a final payment directly to the driver when the car arrives at its destination.

Is Ship A Car legit?

Ship A Car, Inc. has provided vehicle shipping services to thousands of customers over more than a decade in the business. It's registered with the FMCSA and is a good option for shipping nearly any type of vehicle anywhere in the U.S., including Alaska and Hawaii. We recommend going online or calling to get a quote and comparing the cost, services and reviews with other companies before scheduling transport.

Ship A Car, Inc. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship A Car, Inc.?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Ship A Car was highly rated for a reason and it lived up to every expectation I had, which had to do with the person that I worked with. He was very good at his job and he set my expectations. He was super communicative and he answered my questions. The setup was relatively easy. He explained to me what would happen, how it works, what they do, and the timeframe that they work in. It was getting closer to my requested pickup date and I hadn't heard anything so I reached out to my guy. He said we'd start getting some action in the next couple of days. I trusted him and sure enough, he called me two days later and told me the transporter's name and their number. He said they would get in touch with me.

The transporter showed up and at the time, I lived in a very busy area of Miami so it was a little difficult for him but he got my car loaded. He had to reverse my car up onto the transport and it was all the way up on top, in reverse, so I was impressed. He knew what he was doing. The only problem is that car showed up so quickly. They got my car to its destination within a day and a half and the guy needed a cashier's check. I had my mother here for the dropoff and thankfully, she ran out and got it right away. Other than that, the transport was seamless from beginning to end.

Ship A Car, Inc. response
Thank You Adilia, it was a Pleasure working with you as well. I’ll gladly help you with your next Project/Move when you see the need. Feel free to call me anytime.

Doug Hopper

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2022

The representative that helped me, Doug, was amazing. He was very attentive to making sure we understood the whole process and didn't have any questions about anything. They wanted to help us find a driver more quickly and they upped the price but they got our consent before doing that, so that was fine. The original driver that called us did not give us a lot of heads up before he arrived. According to the dispatcher that we contacted, they were supposed to give us at least 12 hours' advance notice but we only got one hour's notice. That was a little bit of an issue. We requested if the driver could give us a little bit more than one hour to get the car ready to go. He had to pack a couple of things. They said that that wouldn't work for them and we didn't hear back from the driver for a little while.

Then, later that day, we got a call from a different driver saying that he was on his way. He would be here shortly and the original driver ended up not being able to get the car. Pickup day went a little bit different than originally planned but in the end, it worked out well. The driver that picked up our car was very helpful and friendly. The driver who did the drop-off was also very helpful. Contact with him was a lot smoother because he called us two hours in advance on the day that he was going to drop it off. He was helpful in answering questions when he dropped off the car and everything on the drop-off day went very smoothly.

Ship A Car, Inc. response
    The Hordeski’s were very Fun to Work with. They had never experienced the Auto Transport Business & were Attentive when I explained the processes. It was a Pleasure Helping them get Across Country & a joy to receive their response.

Thank You!!!! Douglas

Original review: June 12, 2022

The rep who answered the phone was a car person. He explained to me that his dad had lots of cars and he had a Dairy Queen and they parked their cars out front. I’ve always been around race cars and he has a racecar. So, out of all the people I talked to, whoever that rep was, he was the most knowledgeable. He is probably Ship A Car’s best salesman. The car was to be transported to my house and they said it would be here Friday. I was out of town and I was driving back from Fort Worth in the evening on Wednesday, and I get a call. The man said that he would like to drop off my car that night. I said that I was not even at my house and asked how he got down so fast. It was Wednesday. He said not to worry about it and asked if he could drop it off between 7:00 and 8:00.

I got up in the morning and my wife informed me that the sprinkler people were coming. So at 7:15, at least four pickup trucks and about eight guys showed up, and they all parked around our house. And at 7:45, a neighbor, two houses down, was replacing their fence. So, another four trucks showed up with eight guys. And accordingly, I’m going, “Where is this guy?” And sure enough, here he comes with the transport, zigzagging in between all these parked trucks. He asked where he would park. I told him to back it in our cul-de-sac and he did. Then, the local security guard asked if I was moving. I told him I was getting a car delivered. So, he stops.

There must be 20 people, all watching. Then the driver asked if I knew how to drive a stick shift. He couldn’t get the car out of the carrier because he couldn’t drive a stick. So I told him I would help him. He’s got two cars in the carrier, mine, which follow in the front, and another car that’s barely turned over. It’s shaking and rattling, and he backs that out. He puts it in neutral and it’s just sitting there idly. He comes back in and gives me the keys. I asked him if he realized how much space there was between the door and the carrier and I couldn't get in the car. He’s a skinny guy so he gets in the car. I told him to wind the window down, get out of the car and let me see if I can hold on the top of the carrier, and I’ll get in like a racecar driver. So, that’s what I did. And the moment I turned on that car, I was in heaven. The sound of that car gave me goosebumps, and I backed it up probably about a half a mile per hour, super slow.

I drive around all the cars and I said that I got to inspect this because it was way dustier than what the photo showed. I looked at it and it was perfect. Finally, my wife started talking to the two other people that wanted to talk to me but I said that I gotta get this in the garage and check it out. The driver was gonna leave and once he leaves, if there were any problems, it’s sorry, Charlie. Then, we paid the driver and he was all smiles because it was 1s, 5s, 10s, 20s and 50s. We hadn't had a chance to go to the bank to just give him a 100. And he got in his trailer. It was a very nice experience.

Ship A Car, Inc. response
    I’m Glad I could keep it Simple for you Robert!
    Sounds like a Great Day was had by ALL!!!!
    Let me know the next time I can be helpful, it will be a PLEASURE.

Doug

Original review: May 12, 2022

My agent was Doug and he was professional, courteous, and as truthful as he could be. He kept me informed every step of the way and was very cooperative. As our circumstances change, I made him aware and he changed things up as we were going. I was shipping my deceased husband's car to our daughter. Things had to line up before I could ship that car and I explained that to Doug at the outset. He worked with me.

I live in a rural area with narrow streets. He said, “I'm gonna put the car up for some driver with the explanation of the circumstances. We will make that driver aware. And we'll go from there.” Somebody accepted the car within 24 hours and I was totally shocked. Doug explained everything to the driver and the driver said he could handle it. When I made contact with the driver and I re-explained to him, he said, “I committed to picking this car up so that you would not have to walk, you would not have to meet me anywhere. You wouldn't have to leave your home. This car is literally going door to door.”

The morning that he was coming to pick up the car, the driver called me and notified me that he was in the area. I knew exactly where he was. I again said to him, “Maybe you should just stop on the larger street or the wider street, and give me a call. And then reassess whether or not you can get down into my narrow road to pick up the car.” I heard that driver before I saw him. He got down out of his big truck and said he couldn't turn around. But I was told not to worry as this was the commitment he made. We looked over the car and he took pictures of my vehicle. He loaded the 2006 Sonata on the back of his truck and it was ready to go.

He gave me an approximate delivery date to my daughter. But his plan changed. The driver did not call to tell me but that was perfectly all right. My daughter was looking forward to the weekend and when she reached him, he told her he would have the car there on Monday morning, which he did. I just wished that I had known it wasn't going to get there then I wouldn't have been so anxious that Saturday. But he didn't know. Other than that, the driver delivered and the car was in excellent condition when my daughter got it. The gentleman backed his big, old, long truck out of this narrow street. I was impressed because nobody else did. I am grateful to Ship A Car.

Thank You Ruby!!!

It was a pleasure helping you and your Family.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I called up Ship A Car and they were very courteous on the phone. They were understanding that at my age, I'm not quick on the computer and on a whole bunch of things. But I knew what I wanted. They said they would find somebody. They said, "Give us a day." They came back and gave me a basic price. Then they came back and said, "We found somebody who will do it for $50 less. It's enclosed. Everything is perfect. We've had a lot of good feedback with them." So I gave them my credit card and they took their money. I also paid for the extra insurance because it was a specialty car.

Ship A Car reduced the amount that they would get in their pocket by $50 when carrier number one could not pick up the car timely and they had to go to carrier number two, which was the fellow I ended up with. It was perfect. The guys were personable and it was a nice experience. The only thing was that I didn't know when the driver was going to show up. They said, "We'll pick it up Friday or Tuesday or Wednesday or whatever." They couldn't give me a time. So the gentleman called me and said that they were stuck at the car dealership so instead of getting here at 10 in the morning, they were going to arrive at 2:00 or 3:00. He kept me posted along the way telling me when he was going to arrive. So it was a pleasant experience.

When the driver pulled up, he had a Porsche in there, which he pulled out and then put my car in the middle because of the way it was going to be dropped off at the other location. They strapped it all down. He took pictures before it left. Then it was in Nebraska from Long Island in a couple of days. They said it could take anywhere from four to six days, but it only took two and a half days. I was very pleased. My son looked at the car when it arrived and it arrived just the way it left.

Ship A Car, Inc. response

Hi, Florence. Thank you for your kind response. Glad everything went well.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

Best auto transport company I've ever used. Coast to coast in 5 days, great communication, nice guys. I've been a wholesale auto dealer for 22 years and I've never had transportation service like this. Fair price and exceptional service. Try them!

Hi Don

I’m glad everything went well If you need anything shipped again please call me

Steve

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

Ship A Car's website was really professional. When you're looking to ship a vehicle, you want something that you feel confident in and their website really conveyed that. Everything also went smoothly when I called. The gentleman I worked with told me to submit the quote online, which I did, and it was very easy to do. They had straightforward questions and I spoke back with him to work out the fine details of the pick-up date, delivery date, and pricing. The service was very professional and everything worked according to plan. I ended up using them twice because I was confident in their service. I appreciate the driver that we used both times. He was very attentive in keeping us updated where he was at and the expected delivery time so that that we would be available for drop-off and pick-up. That was a bonus.

Ship A Car, Inc. response

Thank you Andrea. It was my pleasure working with you and your daughter. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can help you in the future. Bob

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

The definition of success is "Do what you say you are going to do when you say you're going to do it." Doug is the definition of success. His communication was timely, direct and very supportive of what we were trying to do. He followed up, and overall it was a pleasure doing business with him. He provides professional service and I would highly recommend to my friends.

Ship A Car, Inc. response
    Thank You Very Much for Your Kind Words. I try to treat Clients with Respect & Professionalism.

I would gladly help any of your Friends & Family in the same fashion. Have them call me, Doug Hopper

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

These guys are class acts. Walked me through the whole process. They were very timely and informative. Will for sure use again. Douglas was a extreme help on walking me through and keeping me informed about what was happening with my order. I wouldn't even think twice about using again. It's a no brainer.

Ship A Car, Inc. response
    Thank You for the AWESOME VOTE OF CONFIDENCE, Phillip!!!
    I strive to treat my Clients Professionally & Courteously while keeping them informed.
    Communication in this Business is Crucial.

I look forward to our next Project!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Jonathan - Thank you and SAC for such professionalism in all of my interaction including the initial contacts and booking, communications, and the pickup in NY and the arrival in California. The entire process was flawless and stress free. I did my research ahead of time and it was clear I could have booked with several other companies at a cheaper rate but the in the end it was so worth it to go with SAC. THANK YOU! Sue **.

Sue,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It was a pleasure speaking with you as always, and I am happy that we were able to meet the high expectations you had for us and make your transport stress free. Definitely reach out again, if you need any help in the future.

Take care,