Best Car Transporters in Chicago, IL
If you’re moving into or out of the Windy City, you should consider hiring an auto shipping company. Auto transport companies protect your vehicle from hazards and eliminate the stress caused by long-distance driving. To help you choose a reputable business, check out our list of the best vehicle transport companies in Chicago.
Top 12 Chicago Car Shipping Companies
|eShip||Read 2,517 Reviews|
Offers expedited and enclosed options. Door-to-door delivery. No upfront deposit. Ships cars, motorcycles and boats. Platinum Protection Plan helps cover damage. Provides personal agent, vehicle tracking and free instant quotes.
|Visit Website Toll free number (844) 505-3853|
|AmeriFreight||Read 2,470 Reviews|
Offers door-to-door transport. Requires no upfront payment. Ships cars, boats and motorcycles. Cost to ship sedan in open carrier ranges from $495 to $1,300. Gives discounts for seniors, students and emergency/protection services.
|Sherpa Auto Transport||Read 747 Reviews|
Offers door-to-door auto transport. Gives free quotes online. Price Lock Promise means your quote won’t change. Clean Car Guarantee gives you a free car wash after delivery.
|Visit Website Toll free number (844) 781-3171|
Ships cars, boats and motorcycles door to door. Handles domestic and international shipping. Average 200-mile cost is $584. Average 1,000-mile cost is $780. Provides cargo insurance. Choose from competing rates.
|AMPM Premium Car Carrier||Read Expert Review|
Offers open and enclosed hauling nationwide, with available expedited service. Ships boats and motorcycles. Completes most transports in two weeks or less. Offers free, guaranteed quotes.
|Auto Shipping Group Chicago||Read Expert Review|
Transports cars, trucks, motorcycles and RVs on open and enclosed carriers. Offers overseas transport. Accepts all major credit cards and PayPal Credit. Discounts service by $25 when you call for a quote.
|BKK Transport||Read Expert Review|
Hauls vehicles, trucks and heavy equipment nationwide. Works with a large network of transporters. Offers online tracking. Charges no upfront deposit or hidden fees. Responds to customers 24/7.
|Chicago Auto Shipping||Read Expert Review|
Provides open and enclosed shipping with door-to-door transport. Gives customers 24/7 vehicle tracking updates. Allows customers to pay 100% at delivery, with no upfront deposit. Offers multicar discounts.
|Eagle Auto Transport||Read Expert Review|
Ships sedans, SUVs, minivans, ATVs and motorcycles. Specializes in door-to-door moves of single cars. Offers open and enclosed transport. Honors originally quoted price, which includes taxes, tolls and fuel.
|Montway Auto Transport Chicago||Read Expert Review|
Works with a network of more than 15,000 trusted carriers. Doesn’t charge until a carrier is dispatched. Allows up to 100 pounds of personal items in vehicle. Monitors shipments around the clock.
|Nexus Auto Transport||Read Expert Review|
Ships vehicles to any destination with door-to-door service. Provides open, enclosed and expedited transport. Offers flexible payment options. Gives anonymous quotes with real-time, market-based pricing.
|Van 3 Auto Transport||Read Expert Review|
Ships all types of vehicles, including exotic cars, classic cars and race cars. Specializes in door-to-door shipping. Provides open, enclosed and expedited transport. Allows you to cancel before shipment and get a 100% refund.
Thousands of people move to and from Chicago each year. They include students at some of the top schools in the country, including the University of Chicago and Northwestern University, and employees of local Fortune 500 companies, such as Walgreen Boots Alliance, Boeing, Allstate and United Airlines.
Regardless of your circumstances, auto transport companies save driving time and wear and tear on your vehicle. Keep reading to learn about costs, discover how to choose a company and see answers to frequently asked questions.
How to choose an auto transporter in Chicago
Chicago — the third-largest city in the U.S. and the biggest in the Midwest — has an extensive selection of car shipping companies. So how do you choose the best auto shipper to transport one of your most valuable possessions?
Here are some ways to evaluate auto transport companies:
- Customer reviews: Check online reviews and ask for recommendations from family and friends. Pay attention to customer reviews that discuss an auto shipping company’s ease of scheduling, pickup, communication and updates throughout transit.
- Check registration with the FMCSA: Auto transport companies operating between states, whether they are carriers or brokers, must register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Carriers, which do the actual shipping, are required to have an MC docket number and USDOT number. Brokers, which arrange shipping through a network of carriers, must have an MC docket number.
- Ask for proof of insurance: Auto transport companies are required by law to have insurance. Don’t be afraid to request proof of insurance and coverage amounts. Be sure to find out what’s covered during loading, transit and unloading. Also, talk to your own auto insurance company about how your policy applies.
- Get multiple quotes: Car shipping companies in Chicago offer free quotes. Be sure to have all the information about your vehicle and your move to get the most accurate estimate. Don’t forget to ask if the quote is guaranteed and includes all costs.
Car shipping cost in Chicago, IL
The cost to ship a car to or from Chicago is usually between $500 to $1,200, with the price varying mainly by distance. The table below gives estimated costs for transporting an operable, large sedan to and from Chicago on an open carrier reserved 45 days in advance.
Expected car transport cost to/from Chicago
Apart from distance, other factors that affect car shipping cost in Chicago include:
- Transport type: Open transport, the standard option, is significantly cheaper than enclosed shipping, which protects a vehicle from weather and road debris.
- Type of vehicle: Larger, heavier vehicles are more expensive to ship than smaller vehicles.
- Whether the vehicle is operable: You can ship an inoperable vehicle for an extra cost — usually $100 to $500.
- Scheduling flexibility: Standard service usually includes a window of several days for pickup. Expect to pay more for expedited service or guaranteed pickup and drop-off dates.
- Location of pickup/delivery: If you’re shipping to or from a rural area or isolated location, the company may charge additional costs.
- Time of year: Summer is generally the most expensive time to ship a car. Demand is also high right before the start of winter when Chicagoans leave town and when they return in the spring.
Chicago auto transport FAQ
- How do I ship a motorcycle from Chicago?
- Many auto transport companies in Chicago offer motorcycle shipping. Before choosing a company, ask how many motorcycles it has shipped and what steps it takes to protect a bike during transport. When reading customer reviews, search for those that mention motorcycle shipping.
- How do I ship my exotic car safely from Chicago?
- Look for an auto transport company that specializes in shipping exotic cars, and consider enclosed shipping for maximum protection. If the value of your exotic car exceeds the limits of the shipper’s insurance policy, talk to the company about additional coverage and let your car insurance company know.
- Can you ship a car to another country from Chicago?
- Yes, some companies offer international car shipping. These companies can explain the international shipping process, which involves additional costs and paperwork.
- How far in advance should I schedule car shipping?
- The earlier you schedule car shipping, the better. Try to schedule auto transport at least several weeks before your move, but 45 days in advance is ideal. If you can’t, know that some companies offer expedited shipping for a fee, with pickup in as few as 24 hours.
- Do I have to be present for pickup/delivery?
- Yes, either you or a designated person needs to be present when the shipping company picks up and delivers your vehicle.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Chicago car shipping company information
Nexus Auto Transport ships vehicles anywhere in the country and includes door-to-door service. The company’s options include open and enclosed shipping, expedited shipping and flexible payment choices. Vehicle tracking gives you updates during transit. Call to get a quote with real-time, market-based pricing from a trained agent in just seconds.
- Address: 444 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611
- Phone: (224) 218-2949
- Hours: M - F: 8am - 7pm; Sat: 8:30 am - 3pm
- Website: nexusautotransport.com
Montway Auto Transport is an auto transport broker with a network of more than 15,000 trusted carriers. Ship to or from all 50 states with open or enclosed transport. Customers don’t pay until a carrier is dispatched, and they get regular updates by phone and email while shipping is in progress. Get an instant quote on the Montway website or by calling an advisor.
- Address: 425 N. Martingale Road, Ste. 550, Schaumburg, IL 60173
- Phone: (866) 494-1477
- Hours: M - F: 7am - 9pm; Sat: 8:30am - 6pm; Sun: 9am - 9pm
- Website: montway.com
Eagle Auto Transport provides open and enclosed transport anywhere in the U.S. for all types of vehicles, including motorcycles and ATVs. The company specializes in moving single vehicles door to door. Contact Eagle Auto Transport for a free, guaranteed, no-obligation quote.
- Address: 240 E. Lake St., Ste. 103, Addison, IL 60101
- Phone: (847) 983-0896
- Hours: M - F: 8am - 6pm; Sat: 9am - 1pm
- Website: eagleautotransport.com
Chicago Auto Shipping transports cars, boats and trailers using the top carriers in the U.S. Choose open or enclosed shipping and get door-to-door transport at no extra charge. The company offers discounts if you ship multiple cars. Customers have the option to pay all costs at delivery. Submit information online or call for a free quote.
- Address: 5054 N. Winthrop Ave., Ste. 107, Chicago, IL 60640
- Phone: (773) 941-7235
- Hours: Call for hours
- Website: chicagoautoshipping.com
Auto Shipping Group, the parent company of four brokers, has shipped hundreds of thousands of vehicles and has more than 35 years of experience. Customers can ship cars, trucks, boats and motorcycles to major U.S. cities or overseas. Call Auto Shipping Group to speak to a consultant and get $25 off your quoted price.
- Address: 500 N. Michigan Ave., Ste. 600, Chicago, IL 60611
- Phone: (773) 453-7272
- Hours: M - Sat: 8am - 11pm; Sun: 10am - 6pm
- Website: autoshippinggroup.com
Van 3 Auto Transport has provided shipping services to all 50 states for more than 10 years. The company’s services include open and enclosed transport, expedited shipping, exotic car transport and international shipping. The company includes door-to-door transport as part of standard service. Van 3 gives free online quotes.
- Address: 106 Meadow Drive, Countryside, IL 60525
- Phone: (708) 357-8698
- Hours: Call for hours
- Website: van3autotransport.com
BKK Transport offers nationwide, door-to-door shipping for cars, trucks, motorcycles and RVs. The company offers a money-back guarantee, online coupons and 24/7 customer service. Customers can email or call to request vehicle tracking. Call, text or fill out an online form for a free quote.
- Address: 1945 Clementi Court, Aurora, IL 60503
- Phone: (888) 666-2202
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 5pm
- Website: bkktransport.com
Keep an eye on your inbox, the latest consumer news is on its way!