Call toll free
4.85/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Sherpa Auto Transport is an auto transportation provider offering door-to-door shipping, top-notch customer service focused on professional, frequent communication and accurate pricing based on real-time data. When you choose Sherpa you’ll never experience bait-and-switch pricing. With their exclusive Price Lock Promise they’ll tell you how much it will cost to ship your vehicle and stick to it. In an industry rife with false promises and poor communication, Sherpa’s dedication to giving you a smooth and stress-free transport experience extends from the first phone call to after delivery. Contact Sherpa Auto Transport now to get a free and fair full-service auto transport quote backed by their Price Lock Promise.

BOTTOM LINE

Sherpa is dedicated to providing transparent pricing, personable customer service and hassle-free auto transports. Although they require an initial deposit, their Price Lock Promise makes financial sense.

PROS

• Door-to-door shipping
  • Strictly vetted carriers
  • Price Lock Promise
  • Free quote

CONS

• Terminal-to-terminal transport not offered

Top Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews

04/09/2019

Sherpa's price, responsiveness and their overall structure made me choose them. Their customer service were responsive, answered the phone, gave me answers and kept me up-to-date. What I paid for was exactly what they quoted.

04/23/2019

Sherpa had good reviews and the quote they provided was accurate. Customer service was great and the driver was awesome. Everything was good and it all worked out.

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa is an auto transporter broker with a focus on transparent pricing and helpful, friendly customer service. They carefully investigate carriers to ensure maximum safety for your vehicle while providing more reliable transportation times. Sherpa specializes in late model vehicles, relocations, snowbird routes and multi-car shipments. They also ship classic automobiles, SUVs, vans, trucks, and even inoperable vehicles. As an added bonus, Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise means you won’t pay more than their initial quote.

Sherpa Auto Transport cost

The average cost to ship a car with Sherpa is about $910, but this can vary based on typical factors, such as type of car, the season of shipment and route taken. The pricing Sherpa offers is based on real-time data. An initial deposit is required to have your vehicle shipped. If you decide to cancel before a carrier is assigned to you, you will only have to pay a $25 dispatch fee; however, if you cancel after a carrier is assigned to you, Sherpa will keep your deposit.

One of Sherpa’s best features is the Price Lock Promise, which means Sherpa will stick to the price they originally quote you. This was born out of the desire among consumers and individuals in the auto transport industry for a more straightforward, clear and honest quote process. Some reviews mention that Sherpa doesn’t necessarily offer the lowest quotes. However, there are several things you can do to mitigate price, such as planning your auto transport well in advance.

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping options

Sherpa offers both local and long-distance transport and is able to ship a wide array of vehicles, including sedans, vans, SUVs and classic cars. Inoperable cars are also accepted. Several discounts are available for snowbird routes, seniors, multi-car transports, repeat customers, students and members of the military. Open and enclosed transport are both options.

Door-to-door shipping is the most commonly offered type of transport with Sherpa, as it tends to be the most convenient option for consumers. Sherpa’s Clean Car Guarantee lets customers make sure their car is sparkling clean, even after a long cross-country trip. After their vehicle has been dropped off, customers can take their car to a car wash, and Sherpa will reimburse them up to $20.

• Local and long-distance transport
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Inoperable and operable cars shipped
  • Discounts available
  • Open and enclosed transport
  • Clean Car Guarantee

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping process

Call Sherpa customer service or fill out an online form to receive a free quote backed by Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise. Sherpa will also give a 2-4 hour pickup window.

Once the vehicle has been picked up, you can call customer service at any time to see the vehicle’s location and estimated time of arrival. Depending on the length of the route and the centrality or remoteness of the pickup and dropoff locations, it can take a day or two all the way up to a few weeks for the vehicle to be delivered. Once the car has been dropped off and checked for damages, make sure to take advantage of the Clean Car Guarantee to make sure your car looks like new.

Do we recommend Sherpa Auto Transport?

We recommend Sherpa for their transparent pricing, highly reviewed customer service and other benefits like the Clean Car Guarantee and variety of discounts. Sherpa’s commitment to clear communication and straightforward pricing has made a difference in the industry, and for this reason, we think they are a good choice for auto transports.

Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

My wife and I gave our granddaughter a car as a graduation present. The car wasn't much per se as far as a classic vehicle but it was super important that we had to get it to Wisconsin because she was going to college. So, we had to ship the car 1,503 miles from one door to the other door. We looked at 16 different companies and I went to the Better Business Bureau to find the top three. After I went to the top three, I didn't wanna go with the most expensive one nor did I wanna go with the least of the top three. I then put it in prayer and went with number two, which was Sherpa.

And when I spoke to them, I knew that my search was over. I thought I was talking to somebody who was my long-time friend and neighbor. Also, after going through every one of all those 16, they were not as helpful as Sherpa's reps. Since I've never had a car delivered, I didn't even know what questions to ask. So, I asked Sherpa's reps to educate me. Customer service is educating me on the questions that I didn't even know of how to ask and then go from there. And when I got educated, it made me feel even more comfortable for making the decision to go with Sherpa.

The carrier driver's story was unique as well. This wonderful country is made up of immigrants like my parents were and this young man was from the Ukraine. It was gonna be a holiday and I asked him what he was gonna do for the holiday. He said that this country has been so good to him that all he wanted to do was have a cookout with his family and neighbors. And he intended to stay home because of their work ethics. He said that he wants to do everything he can to work hard, save money, and spend family time. The reflection of this young man showed it because I went over there to his cab of the tractor and I saw how immaculate it was as well as the trailer itself. And when he got down and before he took off, he walked around his trailer with a red shop towel and made sure everything was spick and span.

All in all, Sherpa wasn't just an outfit who would be glad to take your money. On the contrary, they were an absolute blessing and I've recommended them to a friend. Other than that, my neighbor's friend came over and said that he has an enclosed trailer that could take our car over there to Wisconsin for us. But I told him that a wonderful company by the name of Sherpa did it for me. When he asked how much I was charged and I told him, he said that he couldn't have even competed with that. But I told him that he didn't even have the reputation to compete. I also said that Sherpa did the transport in no time. They took off on a Saturday morning and Monday morning before 9 o'clock, they were there. The carrier driver said that he knows the area and that my family lives within 50 miles from his house. He even said that he'd have had breakfast before he makes it right there to go drop off the car.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

When I was looking for someone to transport my sedan, I looked in the reviews of Sherpa at different places and most of the time, they had really good reviews at one place and crappy ones in other places so that made me think that something was fishy. There were only two companies that had good reviews across all the platforms that I researched and the way they both operated was slightly differently. But the person I spoke to in Sherpa seemed more honest and transparent than the other person from the other company so I decided to go with Sherpa.

I called Sherpa and told them that I wanted to ship to the West Coast. I asked them to give the estimate and they did. It was pretty simple and straightforward. I also asked the rep about why these different companies operate differently. Other companies had promised me that if I pay some extra, they'll give me a guarantee about the rate, of pick up and all those things. But the Sherpa rep said that this will never happen. He seemed more honest and forthcoming. I only spoke to him once but he convinced me enough that I went for it.

They then gave me a 1,500 quote which was slightly more than the 1,100 quote of another company. The other company said they were gonna give out the bid to other dirvers and see if it sticks. If it doesn't, they'll go up and up and everything will be done by 1,500 because that was a fair market price. Sherpa starts at 1,500 and they'll go up till somebody selects it. The rep said that if somebody is paying a driver 1,200 and they get another offer for 1,500, they will drop the 1,200 offer and I will end up at the last moment looking for someone who will drive my car. So I paid slighly higher for the sense of security that I know my car will be shipped and will be delivered.

For the most part, everything was okay but the driver kept on postponing the time when he'll come and pick it up. In the end, my cousin had to spoil his day and dropped my car. He was pretty accurate on time. The rep told me that when my cousin drops my car off, he will be given a bill. He asked me to make sure my cousin takes a picture of it and send the picture over. I will need that picture to get my car. But my cousin said he never got anything and when I asked for that piece of paper, they said they would email him but they did not.

The Hot Wheels transport company did not give the bill and that made me a little bit worried for some time. Drivers can give me an estimate but they never show up on time. That I understand and I don't blame them for that. But they should change the fact that I didn't have any receipt that they had my car. I told them that as well. They probably don't think it's a big deal but for someone who is giving their car away, they don't know if they'll ever get the car back. I knew that they won't run away with my car and I had Sherpa behind my back. If something would've happened, I would call them. Fortunately, the driver did show up with my car and everything was fine but the part that I was not given a receipt was not good. Other than that, people were really good. In fact, I recommended Sherpa to a couple of people.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I have a Toyota Yaris, which is a very small, light car that's not very great for highway driving, and I didn’t wanna drive it long distance from Chicago to Washington, D.C., so I needed a transport service. I did my own personal search of transport companies and I followed up on the leads that my sister sent me. But I went to ConsumerAffairs and I prioritized those brokers. Sherpa is on the second spot on ConsumerAffairs, so I felt pretty good about that. I also looked at the Better Business Bureau.

Communication was very easy with Sherpa and I liked how they communicated. They gave me a very good price too. I received lower quotes from other companies, but I didn’t have as much confidence in them. I would rather pay more and feel better than pay less and be nervous. I was already nervous because it was a lot of money and it’s my car, and I didn’t know how things were gonna go. Sherpa said that I would get $50 if I sent in certain documentation which I already did. They told me it would take a couple of weeks for me to receive the rebate check. So I’m still in that waiting period. But even if I don’t receive the rebate check, their quote was comparable to another company that I was seriously considering.

Sherpa contracted with the driver for the pickup, but I was hoping to have time to really look into that person. But everything happened so quickly. At that point, I just had to trust what Sherpa was telling me that they very carefully vet their drivers. It was a bit of a leap of faith, but because I’ve looked into Sherpa, I just hoped they did what they said. The pick up was a very easy process. The driver communicated very well with me and he let me know when he was 20 minutes away. He showed up and he was very courteous and nice. I was still in another city during the delivery but my family was here to get the car. They said the driver was similarly communicative. They knew when he was an hour away, so they were ready for him.

I’m perfectly happy with Sherpa. It’s an expensive service moving just one car. But on the other hand, my sister and my niece drove the car from Georgia to Chicago for me, and they had an overnight stay somewhere because they didn’t wanna make that drive in one day. By the time they added in the costs for the gas and the overnight stay, the total turned out to be more expensive than the transport service to have somebody drive it back. So, Sherpa was actually less expensive for me than to have family members do it.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I got a new car, and I wanted to send the old car, an 11-year-old Volkswagen Passat which had only 39,000 miles on it, to my son in New York. I looked at three or four different transport companies and Sherpa had the best reviews, so I went with them. Sherpa emailed me and called me, and I was impressed with how quickly they got back to me. Also, they seemed to understand what I was going for. Although I didn’t wanna spend a fortune, I also was not looking to go with cheap and have it affect the car. I told them when I wanted to ship it, and they asked me if I could move up the original date that I chose for a day or two, and I said I could. They asked me if I would be willing to wait a couple of days and I said I would, too.

However, I didn’t hear from them afterwards, so I called them and asked what the situation was. They said they were going to get back to me as they were just in the process of looking for a driver, and that they should have a driver within 24 hours. When they found a driver, they got back to me and told me they would ship the car within a day or two, which was exactly the time frame that they had offered. I had said I would be willing to go on an open transport, but they couldn't get one, so they sent a closed one. Then they called me and said they were gonna foot the price difference.

The driver came right to the door when he picked up the car and he spoke with us. He was wonderful. He had a huge tandem truck with him that took up half the street. He got the car, examined it and took pictures. I also took pictures. Two days later, they brought the car to my son right to his door. My son observed that it was in perfect shape and then gave the driver the cash. I had given Sherpa a check originally, and they gave the driver the cash that was due to him. The final cost of the service was exactly what Sherpa told me it would be. I had to give them $275, which I did, and my son had to give them $400. We were supposed to get a $50 gift certificate back, but my son never filled it out. He was entitled to it only if he sent them the bill. Later on, Sherpa sent me a follow-up email asking me what I thought of their service. I thought it was excellent.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We were shipping a Saab 2,500 miles away and I had already scheduled with a company but they didn’t show. That forced us into an emergency transport and I ended up getting Sherpa’s name off of a TV ad. I also asked for recommendations from some of my other military people that I knew. Somebody else had shipped with Sherpa and said that they were good. The people I dealt with were very knowledgeable, informative and very communicative. I like the fact that they continued to send me emails every couple of days to keep me updated that they were still looking. It wasn’t just a big black hole of no contact. I was very satisfied.

The only not-optimal piece of transaction is that I have to scan an actual hard copy of the bill of lading to their accounting office. I can’t digitally send it to them to get the refund. Moving is already a very difficult, delaying kind of event and our movers took our printer and smashed it into little pieces. So I still needed to find time and a place to get a copy of the bill then mail the bill out. So if I could have done it digitally, it would have been wonderful. I can do that in a couple of seconds – take a picture of it and send it over. That's no big deal instead of having to actually try to get a copy of it and unpack boxes to find an envelope. Back in the day, we keep all those things on hand and then sending out a piece of mail wouldn’t be a big deal. But I haven’t done that in years.

On the other hand, Sherpa's quote was very fair. Their fee was $300 and we were gonna pay $795 to the driver. But it took a week longer to get a driver than they had originally quoted. When I asked if our quote was going to change, they said that what they do is take part of their fee and sweeten the deal with the driver. I ended up paying the same and they reallocated their fee to the driver. So they only pulled 145 from me and then I paid about $900 to the driver. Sherpa's cost was right in line with the quality of their service too.

The driver got the vehicle to us three days after he picked it up and our interactions went really well. He ended up delivering really late but he had really good contact with us, letting us know what was happening. He called and told us that one of his taillights had gone out. He couldn't travel on the road with a broken taillight so we completely understood that. I felt bad for him too. We wanted him to be safe as well. It wasn’t a big deal. Other than that, everything had been really good. All in all, it was a very good business transaction. I have absolutely no qualms about recommending Sherpa to anybody in the military to do a military move.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherpa Auto Transport?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I had a great experience with Sherpa and I am satisfied with their service. There was good communication and delivery was quick and efficient.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I have a Honda SUV that I sent across country, coast to coast, through Sherpa. I had good communication with their reps and I liked them very much. They provided me a very fair and competitive quote that was 100% accurate. The driver took pictures and marked down things. I did ask him if the car could travel on the second level of his truck and he said yes. Sherpa's service was very satisfactory and I'm very happy with them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Sherpa gave me a good quote. When I called them, the person whom I dealt with answered every question that I could have. I would hang up and think of 10 more then I'd call back. She was never upset that I kept asking everything. I went with them and they gave me a time for pick-up. The moving crew called and told me that they were an hour out. When they got to my location, they loaded the truck and analyzed it well. They then told us an arrival time and by the time we got out to the destination, they were there the next day. They kept in touch with us the whole time too. With Sherpa, it cost me 1,050 to ship my vehicle. The cost for me to drive the vehicle would have been more. If I drive from Florida to California, that would cost me money for gas, lodging and food as well. So, we flew instead and our car came and picked us up.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

We needed to transport a fleet vehicle to California 'cause I needed it here. I looked for a transportation company and Sherpa seemed to have the best rates. I contacted them and the customer service representatives were awesome. We had a great interaction and the quote they gave me was exactly the same as the final cost. There were no hidden fees or anything extra that was added. After they picked the car up on a Friday in Indiana, it was delivered the following Monday afternoon. I was in contact with the driver at all times and coordinated the arrival here at my company. Everything went really well.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I transported two cars with Sherpa from Maryland to Utah. In both occasions, their reps were super attentive and helpful. They walked me through the process. There was a bit of a lag time when I made the request as they had to go out and contract the driver but still they kept me in the loop. I wasn’t in a situation where I felt as though I had questions that weren’t being answered and didn’t understand the process.

Sherpa gave me competitive quotes and stuck to them. They also gave me a couple of opportunities to reduce the quote if necessary. During the second, I changed the arrangement to where they were gonna pick the vehicle up and I would receive a discount because it was closer. The delivery was very quick in both cases. The drivers were very communicative. I knew when they were gonna be in town and we picked places to meet so that they could drive their big 18-wheeler in. If I had to transport a car again, I wouldn’t hesitate to use Sherpa.

Sherpa Auto Transport Q&A

Is Sherpa a broker or a carrier?
Sherpa is an auto transport broker, which means they work with a preferred network of transport companies to ensure your vehicle or fleet is shipped safely and efficiently to its destination.
Does Sherpa focus on local or long-distance auto transport?
Sherpa customizes the type of transport to whatever their clients need. Whether you need your vehicle shipped across the country or down the street, they’ll take care of the details.
Does Sherpa transport classic or antique vehicles?
Definitely! Sherpa works with enclosed transport trucks that can safely move your luxury or rare vehicle.
What problem is Sherpa trying to solve?
Auto transport is a complex industry, and it can be hard for people to find a reliable company. They’re dedicated to providing their customers with a hassle-free process at an affordable rate with no bait-and-switch pricing backed by our Price Lock Promise, while guiding them with clear communication every step of the way.
What sets Sherpa company apart from the competition?
Their Price Lock Promise is unheard of in this industry. Too often they hear from customers that they have been told by other companies their vehicle can be shipped at an unrealistically low price - only to discover their vehicle was never picked up or they were asked again and again to increase their price. At Sherpa, they do things differently. With their Price Lock Promise they’ll provide you with one quote and stick to it. The amount that quote you is the amount you’ll pay. It’s that simple.
What needs does Sherpa’s products or services fulfill, and how do they fulfill those needs better than their competition?
Whether it’s moving a family car cross-country or making sure your classic car arrives at the show unscathed, Sherpa will get the job done in a timely and affordable manner. Communication is their priority. Sherpa always want their customers to feel informed every step of the way. By updating you frequently throughout the process you can rest assured that your vehicle is in good hands. They’re also committed to finding solutions to potential challenges their customers may face. Examples of this include our Price Lock Promise and their Clean Car Guarantee which enables customers to get their car washed after delivery with us footing the bill.
How does Sherpa think the industry will change in the next 2-5 years?
Sherpa is excited to see how technology will evolve to play a more pivotal part in how customers, brokers and carriers work together to do business.
How does Sherpa measure success?
Sherpa measures success one satisfied customer at a time. To them, this means no matter how big their company gets or what the numbers look like, if their customers aren’t satisfied at the end of the day, they haven’t succeeded. Sherpa will go the extra mile to make sure they exceed your expectations.

Sherpa Auto Transport Company Information