Call toll free
4.84/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Sherpa Auto Transport is an auto transportation provider offering door-to-door shipping, top-notch customer service focused on professional, frequent communication and accurate pricing based on real-time data. When you choose Sherpa you’ll never experience bait-and-switch pricing. With their exclusive Price Lock Promise they’ll tell you how much it will cost to ship your vehicle and stick to it. In an industry rife with false promises and poor communication, Sherpa’s dedication to giving you a smooth and stress-free transport experience extends from the first phone call to after delivery. Contact Sherpa Auto Transport now to get a free and fair full-service auto transport quote backed by their Price Lock Promise.

BOTTOM LINE

Sherpa is dedicated to providing transparent pricing, personable customer service and hassle-free auto transports. Although they require an initial deposit, their Price Lock Promise makes financial sense.

PROS

• Door-to-door shipping
  • Strictly vetted carriers
  • Price Lock Promise
  • Free quote

CONS

• Terminal-to-terminal transport not offered

Top Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews

04/09/2019

Sherpa's price, responsiveness and their overall structure made me choose them. Their customer service were responsive, answered the phone, gave me answers and kept me up-to-date. What I paid for was exactly what they quoted.

04/23/2019

Sherpa had good reviews and the quote they provided was accurate. Customer service was great and the driver was awesome. Everything was good and it all worked out.

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa is an auto transporter broker with a focus on transparent pricing and helpful, friendly customer service. They carefully investigate carriers to ensure maximum safety for your vehicle while providing more reliable transportation times. Sherpa specializes in late model vehicles, relocations, snowbird routes and multi-car shipments. They also ship classic automobiles, SUVs, vans, trucks, and even inoperable vehicles. As an added bonus, Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise means you won’t pay more than their initial quote.

Sherpa Auto Transport cost

The average cost to ship a car with Sherpa is about $910, but this can vary based on typical factors, such as type of car, the season of shipment and route taken. The pricing Sherpa offers is based on real-time data. An initial deposit is required to have your vehicle shipped. If you decide to cancel before a carrier is assigned to you, you will only have to pay a $25 dispatch fee; however, if you cancel after a carrier is assigned to you, Sherpa will keep your deposit.

One of Sherpa’s best features is the Price Lock Promise, which means Sherpa will stick to the price they originally quote you. This was born out of the desire among consumers and individuals in the auto transport industry for a more straightforward, clear and honest quote process. Some reviews mention that Sherpa doesn’t necessarily offer the lowest quotes. However, there are several things you can do to mitigate price, such as planning your auto transport well in advance.

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping options

Sherpa offers both local and long-distance transport and is able to ship a wide array of vehicles, including sedans, vans, SUVs and classic cars. Inoperable cars are also accepted. Several discounts are available for snowbird routes, seniors, multi-car transports, repeat customers, students and members of the military. Open and enclosed transport are both options.

Door-to-door shipping is the most commonly offered type of transport with Sherpa, as it tends to be the most convenient option for consumers. Sherpa’s Clean Car Guarantee lets customers make sure their car is sparkling clean, even after a long cross-country trip. After their vehicle has been dropped off, customers can take their car to a car wash, and Sherpa will reimburse them up to $20.

• Local and long-distance transport
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Inoperable and operable cars shipped
  • Discounts available
  • Open and enclosed transport
  • Clean Car Guarantee

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping process

Call Sherpa customer service or fill out an online form to receive a free quote backed by Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise. Sherpa will also give a 2-4 hour pickup window.

Once the vehicle has been picked up, you can call customer service at any time to see the vehicle’s location and estimated time of arrival. Depending on the length of the route and the centrality or remoteness of the pickup and dropoff locations, it can take a day or two all the way up to a few weeks for the vehicle to be delivered. Once the car has been dropped off and checked for damages, make sure to take advantage of the Clean Car Guarantee to make sure your car looks like new.

Do we recommend Sherpa Auto Transport?

We recommend Sherpa for their transparent pricing, highly reviewed customer service and other benefits like the Clean Car Guarantee and variety of discounts. Sherpa’s commitment to clear communication and straightforward pricing has made a difference in the industry, and for this reason, we think they are a good choice for auto transports.

635 Sherpa Auto Transport Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I have a Toyota Yaris, which is a very small, light car that's not very great for highway driving, and I didn’t wanna drive it long distance from Chicago to Washington, D.C., so I needed a transport service. I did my own personal search of transport companies and I followed up on the leads that my sister sent me. But I went to ConsumerAffairs and I prioritized those brokers. Sherpa is on the second spot on ConsumerAffairs, so I felt pretty good about that. I also looked at the Better Business Bureau.

Communication was very easy with Sherpa and I liked how they communicated. They gave me a very good price too. I received lower quotes from other companies, but I didn’t have as much confidence in them. I would rather pay more and feel better than pay less and be nervous. I was already nervous because it was a lot of money and it’s my car, and I didn’t know how things were gonna go. Sherpa said that I would get $50 if I sent in certain documentation which I already did. They told me it would take a couple of weeks for me to receive the rebate check. So I’m still in that waiting period. But even if I don’t receive the rebate check, their quote was comparable to another company that I was seriously considering.

Sherpa contracted with the driver for the pickup, but I was hoping to have time to really look into that person. But everything happened so quickly. At that point, I just had to trust what Sherpa was telling me that they very carefully vet their drivers. It was a bit of a leap of faith, but because I’ve looked into Sherpa, I just hoped they did what they said. The pick up was a very easy process. The driver communicated very well with me and he let me know when he was 20 minutes away. He showed up and he was very courteous and nice. I was still in another city during the delivery but my family was here to get the car. They said the driver was similarly communicative. They knew when he was an hour away, so they were ready for him.

I’m perfectly happy with Sherpa. It’s an expensive service moving just one car. But on the other hand, my sister and my niece drove the car from Georgia to Chicago for me, and they had an overnight stay somewhere because they didn’t wanna make that drive in one day. By the time they added in the costs for the gas and the overnight stay, the total turned out to be more expensive than the transport service to have somebody drive it back. So, Sherpa was actually less expensive for me than to have family members do it.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We were shipping a Saab 2,500 miles away and I had already scheduled with a company but they didn’t show. That forced us into an emergency transport and I ended up getting Sherpa’s name off of a TV ad. I also asked for recommendations from some of my other military people that I knew. Somebody else had shipped with Sherpa and said that they were good. The people I dealt with were very knowledgeable, informative and very communicative. I like the fact that they continued to send me emails every couple of days to keep me updated that they were still looking. It wasn’t just a big black hole of no contact. I was very satisfied.

The only not-optimal piece of transaction is that I have to scan an actual hard copy of the bill of lading to their accounting office. I can’t digitally send it to them to get the refund. Moving is already a very difficult, delaying kind of event and our movers took our printer and smashed it into little pieces. So I still needed to find time and a place to get a copy of the bill then mail the bill out. So if I could have done it digitally, it would have been wonderful. I can do that in a couple of seconds – take a picture of it and send it over. That's no big deal instead of having to actually try to get a copy of it and unpack boxes to find an envelope. Back in the day, we keep all those things on hand and then sending out a piece of mail wouldn’t be a big deal. But I haven’t done that in years.

On the other hand, Sherpa's quote was very fair. Their fee was $300 and we were gonna pay $795 to the driver. But it took a week longer to get a driver than they had originally quoted. When I asked if our quote was going to change, they said that what they do is take part of their fee and sweeten the deal with the driver. I ended up paying the same and they reallocated their fee to the driver. So they only pulled 145 from me and then I paid about $900 to the driver. Sherpa's cost was right in line with the quality of their service too.

The driver got the vehicle to us three days after he picked it up and our interactions went really well. He ended up delivering really late but he had really good contact with us, letting us know what was happening. He called and told us that one of his taillights had gone out. He couldn't travel on the road with a broken taillight so we completely understood that. I felt bad for him too. We wanted him to be safe as well. It wasn’t a big deal. Other than that, everything had been really good. All in all, it was a very good business transaction. I have absolutely no qualms about recommending Sherpa to anybody in the military to do a military move.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I’m in Colorado and I had my car shipped to Arizona. I have a show quality car so I didn’t want to drive it out there. I looked at 3 shipping companies and the pictures that Sherpa showed online were very clean and nice trucks. But I didn’t realize at that time that what they do is they lease those rides out which is fine with me. It looked like they had good transport services so I went with Sherpa.

Their customer service reps were very professional. They explained to me and kept their words. They asked me what I wanted, what my needs were, and they did a good job on it. I said the car had to go out on a Sunday or a Monday. Those were the only days I could really have it delivered, and I’d like to have it go out on the 8th of the month, which was three weeks ahead of time. They said they didn't see any problem with that. However, a day or so before that they said they were having a little trouble getting somebody to transport that out, but they were sure they would be able to accommodate me. Sure enough they called me on the morning of the 8th and said they had a transporter that was gonna be over there, and that he would call me in a few minutes.

I took the car over to the driver because he couldn’t get that 72-quarter in the area where I live, which I understand. He delivered it on time in Colorado, which I’m very happy with. However, when my brother had looked over the car he said it was covered with sand and the it must’ve went through a snowstorm as the driver was delivering it. I was kinda concerned when the driver picked up the car because all those eight tires that were underneath didn't have mud flaps over the top. The driver said he was gonna put it midway, with another car in front of it. He said the car he was putting in front doesn’t run. I told him I asked for a spot on the top but I haven’t been there to inspect it. Evidently, the vehicle was on the bottom level which is elementary to me, as long as it didn’t get any scratches on it. Somebody had already called me and said that they pay for the cars to be washed and I just needed to send the receipt.

Sherpa was right on the ball. They told me what the price would be and they didn’t waver from that. The only difference they did, which was fine with me, was that they said instead of us getting $250, we were gonna take $225. I would have to give the driver, instead of $400, $425 and that was what transpired. We gave the driver the $425 in cash. He gave a receipt to my brother and my sister who were there to receive the car. The cost was awesome. Sherpa did a good job and I would recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We relocated from the West Coast to the East Coast with two vehicles, so we needed to use a transport service. Sherpa Auto Transport transported one from Mountain View, California to Boston and the second one was from Salt Lake City to Green Bay, Wisconsin. We were supposed to drive across the country, but our trip was interrupted by a death in the family. Sherpa arranged the transport in 24 hours and picked the car up in Salt Lake City at the hotel. We went to the funeral and the car met us in Green Bay a few days later.

I had originally booked with another company two months in advance, but on the day of the transport, they were nowhere to be found. We had already paid them and they had assigned a driver. The driver called me on the day of the pick up and said that he was not scheduled to be there for two more days. We were flying out to drop our son off at college, so we were stuck. They said not to worry and that they would take care of it. They notified us the next day that they had picked the vehicle up. We got home two days later and found that the car in the driveway had not been picked up. The driver told me that he was gonna pick it up first thing in the morning and when I called back the next morning, I said that the car was still on the driveway, but the driver reported that he picked it up an hour ago. That company was a disaster.

I called Sherpa because they had such a high review. They arranged the transport on the same day on an emergency basis, got a driver, and picked the car up and took it to Boston. That bailed us out of a bad situation and it went well. They kept us informed. We couldn’t even get the other company to answer the phone, but Sherpa always answered the phone and they always knew where the car was and gave us updates. I dealt with a different person for each of the transport. After we shipped the first car, we had a second car and we were driving that one across the country a week later. We got on the road, but five days into the trip, my wife’s mother died in Wisconsin, so we had to interrupt the trip and we dealt with another Sherpa person who picked the car up and arranged it all. They took the problem out of our hands and solved it. They bailed us out twice in a row, two weeks apart.

There were two separate women who did a phenomenal job and they did the moves on an emergency basis for the same price that was my original quote from the other company. They felt bad for my situation with my mother-in-law and they gave me a $50 discount. The cost was great and finding a driver on two occasions in a day was phenomenal. I had moved vehicles across the country before over my career and this was the easiest move that I have done. Everything happened flawlessly.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

My daughter got a faculty position in North Carolina and it wasn't worth buying another used car when she knew hers was in good shape so we were moving it across the country. I asked a lot of friends if they had ever moved a car across the country and Sherpa was the only one where I got at least a decent response. Everybody else said all the other ones were bad.

I had a good experience with the people at Sherpa. They were very responsive to any questions. We wanted to put things like brooms in the back of the car and they were very good about explaining that that would be based on the driver. That was our only question and other than that, it was all straightforward. Sherpa's quote was also what everybody else had quoted so it was reasonable. Also, I noticed that reviews on other transports said that when there was an issue getting a driver, the other companies bumped the quote. But Sherpa maintained the quote for us and took less of the broker's fee, which was very nice.

The driver was on time picking up the car but we had one hiccup with the drop-off. The transport company screwed up and made us panic for a minute. We were told the car was gonna be later than it was so we were expecting it a day later. But the driver brought it exactly when he said he was gonna do it. We must have been mixed us up with somebody else and apparently, they weren't talking to the driver. That aside, the driver was nice enough when we picked up the car. They couldn't bring it to the actual townhouse because there was no way they could've gotten into those narrow streets. So we met somewhere and that worked out fine. I knew to expect that it would be dirty, and that was basically what happened. It was fine. Overall, it was a good experience and I'd do it again with Sherpa. I also have a friend who had been waiting for weeks for a car to be picked up and I suggested to go ahead and try Sherpa.

Sherpa Auto Transport response

Hi, Mary. It was a pleasure working with you to ship your daughter’s car to our home state of North Carolina. As you experienced first-hand, our representatives are more than happy to honestly answer any question a customer might have about the auto transport process.

Just as if your daughter had driven the car to NC herself, cars can often get dusty while being transported. We’re not content to leave a customer dissatisfied with a dirty car. That’s why we’re proud to offer our Clean Car Guarantee which allows you to get your car washed - on us. We hope that you take advantage of this program!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherpa Auto Transport?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Purchased a vehicle online and didn't wanna drive it, so I needed to get somebody to ship it. Sherpa did an excellent job in handling my account, and the rep was very knowledgeable. The quote they gave me was very fair compared to some of the other one that I had received, and it was 100% accurate. The delivery guy called me up, and he couldn't come into the subdivision, so we met at local Walmart. Everything went great. The vehicle was in great condition when it arrived.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I needed to ship a Range Rover from New York to where I am in Louisiana. I found Sherpa and they provided me an okay quote. My interactions with their reps were very good and they helped me with everything I needed to know. The move took three or four days and the driver they sent was excellent. However, they were supposed to give $100 in the mail for a gift card which I'm still waiting. Nevertheless, I'm very satisfied with Sherpa. I shipped my car last year with a different company and it was horrible. I had the perfect experience with Sherpa and I really enjoyed having this company.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

We were moving from Idaho to San Antonio Texas and I sought transport service so I didn’t have to drive my car across the country. Sherpa seemed to offer the best arrangement and I went with them. Everybody was wonderful and they got me in touch with a great shipper. My 2013 Prius C was picked up and delivered on time. The quote they gave was on the money too. They were very professional and I couldn't be happier.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I was taking my kiddo to College and he didn’t wanna drive the Toyota Camry. I asked friends about transport companies and then I narrowed it down to seven before I went to Better Business Bureau. When I went there, a few of the companies were good, but the reason that I chose Sherpa was the guaranteed price 'cause the more I read, the more that people were angry about was the pricing.

I did it way in advance and so nothing happened for months. I was nervous and hoping that they didn’t forget me. Then I got a call from a really nice guy who said that he'd personally make sure that it would all go fine and it did. He was amazing. The driver that picked up the car and dropped it off was just kind and family, and it was 100% customer service oriented. I think if I had asked him for something, he would have jumped through hoops to make it happen.

The car was in excellent condition when it was delivered. What was funny is that I took the mileage from the time he put it on the truck to the time we picked it up and it didn’t move an inch. So, I don't even think he unloaded it. And even when he met with me, he put my car on the front because maybe it was just the way he was loading and unloading stuff. But I don’t think he ever had to take my car off the truck. The whole experience was nice. I would use Sherpa again and would be happy if I could even ask for that guy again as well.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

My daughter was relocating about 2,000 miles away. I looked at a number of reviews online, and the Better Business Bureau rating for Sherpa was high with significantly more positive reviews than some of the other companies. I spoke with a gentleman on the phone who gave me an estimated quote, which turned out to be the accurate quote. Then, we corresponded by email, and then I called to make the final arrangements. Their price was a little bit higher estimate than other companies by a few hundred dollars. But because of the positive feedback that had been given by others, it justified the additional cost. The estimated transport was five to eight days. It would have been seven days, but there was some difficulty with the transport that was going to bring the part to my daughter's new residence, so it was eight days. I was very, very pleased.

Sherpa Auto Transport Q&A

Is Sherpa a broker or a carrier?
Sherpa is an auto transport broker, which means they work with a preferred network of transport companies to ensure your vehicle or fleet is shipped safely and efficiently to its destination.
Does Sherpa focus on local or long-distance auto transport?
Sherpa customizes the type of transport to whatever their clients need. Whether you need your vehicle shipped across the country or down the street, they’ll take care of the details.
Does Sherpa transport classic or antique vehicles?
Definitely! Sherpa works with enclosed transport trucks that can safely move your luxury or rare vehicle.
What problem is Sherpa trying to solve?
Auto transport is a complex industry, and it can be hard for people to find a reliable company. They’re dedicated to providing their customers with a hassle-free process at an affordable rate with no bait-and-switch pricing backed by our Price Lock Promise, while guiding them with clear communication every step of the way.
What sets Sherpa company apart from the competition?
Their Price Lock Promise is unheard of in this industry. Too often they hear from customers that they have been told by other companies their vehicle can be shipped at an unrealistically low price - only to discover their vehicle was never picked up or they were asked again and again to increase their price. At Sherpa, they do things differently. With their Price Lock Promise they’ll provide you with one quote and stick to it. The amount that quote you is the amount you’ll pay. It’s that simple.
What needs does Sherpa’s products or services fulfill, and how do they fulfill those needs better than their competition?
Whether it’s moving a family car cross-country or making sure your classic car arrives at the show unscathed, Sherpa will get the job done in a timely and affordable manner. Communication is their priority. Sherpa always want their customers to feel informed every step of the way. By updating you frequently throughout the process you can rest assured that your vehicle is in good hands. They’re also committed to finding solutions to potential challenges their customers may face. Examples of this include our Price Lock Promise and their Clean Car Guarantee which enables customers to get their car washed after delivery with us footing the bill.
How does Sherpa think the industry will change in the next 2-5 years?
Sherpa is excited to see how technology will evolve to play a more pivotal part in how customers, brokers and carriers work together to do business.
How does Sherpa measure success?
Sherpa measures success one satisfied customer at a time. To them, this means no matter how big their company gets or what the numbers look like, if their customers aren’t satisfied at the end of the day, they haven’t succeeded. Sherpa will go the extra mile to make sure they exceed your expectations.

Sherpa Auto Transport Company Information