4.9/5 (1377 ratings)

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa Auto Transport is an auto transportation provider offering door-to-door shipping, top-notch customer service focused on professional, frequent communication and accurate pricing based on real-time data. When you choose Sherpa you’ll never experience bait-and-switch pricing. With their exclusive Price Lock Promise they’ll tell you how much it will cost to ship your vehicle and stick to it. In an industry rife with false promises and poor communication, Sherpa’s dedication to giving you a smooth and stress-free transport experience extends from the first phone call to after delivery. Contact Sherpa Auto Transport now to get a free and fair full-service auto transport quote backed by their Price Lock Promise.

Pros

• Door-to-door shipping
  • Strictly vetted carriers
  • Price Lock Promise
  • Free car wash upon delivery

Cons

• Terminal-to-terminal transport not offered

Bottom Line

Sherpa is dedicated to providing transparent pricing, personable customer service and hassle-free auto transports. There's no charge until a carrier is secured, and its Price Lock Promise makes financial sense.

Top Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Sherpa had good reviews and the quote they provided was accurate. Customer service was great and the driver was awesome. Everything was good and it all worked out. I’m very please...

Verified

Sherpa's price, responsiveness and their overall structure made me choose them. Their customer service were responsive, answered the phone, gave me answers and kept me up-to-date....

Information from Sherpa on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Sherpa’s preferred network of carriers continues to transport vehicles for customers but is taking steps to protect the health of its employees and clients. You can call to secure your shipment. Sherpa encourages customers and transporters to follow all Centers for Disease Control guidelines in regard to COVID-19. Specifically, the company suggests you wipe down and sanitize the following areas of your vehicle upon pickup and delivery: door handles, steering wheel, gear shift and other interior points.

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa is an auto transporter broker with a focus on transparent pricing and helpful, friendly customer service. They carefully investigate carriers to ensure maximum safety for your vehicle while providing more reliable transportation times. Sherpa specializes in late model vehicles, relocations, snowbird routes and multi-car shipments. They also ship classic automobiles, SUVs, vans, trucks, and even inoperable vehicles. As an added bonus, Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise means you won’t pay more than their initial quote.

Sherpa Auto Transport cost

The average cost to ship a car with Sherpa is about $910, but this can vary based on typical factors, such as type of car, the season of shipment and route taken. The pricing Sherpa offers is based on real-time data. The company does not charge you until it secures a carrier for your vehicle. If you decide to cancel before a carrier is assigned to you, you will only have to pay a $25 dispatch fee; however, if you cancel after a carrier is assigned to you, Sherpa will keep your deposit.

One of Sherpa’s best features is the Price Lock Promise, which means Sherpa will stick to the price they originally quote you. This was born out of the desire among consumers and individuals in the auto transport industry for a more straightforward, clear and honest quote process. Some reviews mention that Sherpa doesn’t necessarily offer the lowest quotes. However, there are several things you can do to mitigate price, such as planning your auto transport well in advance.

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping options

Sherpa offers both local and long-distance transport and is able to ship a wide array of vehicles, including sedans, vans, SUVs and classic cars. Inoperable cars are also accepted. Several discounts are available for snowbird routes, seniors, multi-car transports, repeat customers, students and members of the military. Open and enclosed transport are both options.

Door-to-door shipping is the most commonly offered type of transport with Sherpa, as it tends to be the most convenient option for consumers. Sherpa’s Clean Car Guarantee lets customers make sure their car is sparkling clean, even after a long cross-country trip. After their vehicle has been dropped off, customers can take their car to a car wash, and Sherpa will reimburse them up to $20.

• Local and long-distance transport
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Inoperable and operable cars shipped
  • Discounts available
  • Open and enclosed transport
  • Clean Car Guarantee

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping process

Call Sherpa customer service or fill out an online form to receive a free quote backed by Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise. Sherpa will also give a 2-4 hour pickup window.

Once the vehicle has been picked up, you can call customer service at any time to see the vehicle’s location and estimated time of arrival. Depending on the length of the route and the centrality or remoteness of the pickup and dropoff locations, it can take a day or two all the way up to a few weeks for the vehicle to be delivered. Once the car has been dropped off and checked for damages, make sure to take advantage of the Clean Car Guarantee to make sure your car looks like new.

Do we recommend Sherpa Auto Transport?

We recommend Sherpa for their transparent pricing, highly reviewed customer service and other benefits like the Clean Car Guarantee and variety of discounts. Sherpa’s commitment to clear communication and straightforward pricing has made a difference in the industry, and for this reason, we think they are a good choice for auto transports.

Sherpa Auto Transport Q&A

Is Sherpa a broker or a carrier?
Sherpa is an auto transport broker, which means they work with a preferred network of transport companies to ensure your vehicle or fleet is shipped safely and efficiently to its destination.
Does Sherpa focus on local or long-distance auto transport?
Sherpa customizes the type of transport to whatever their clients need. Whether you need your vehicle shipped across the country or down the street, they’ll take care of the details.
Does Sherpa transport classic or antique vehicles?
Definitely! Sherpa works with enclosed transport trucks that can safely move your luxury or rare vehicle.
What problem is Sherpa trying to solve?
Auto transport is a complex industry, and it can be challenging for consumers to find a reliable company. Sherpa is dedicated to providing its customers a hassle-free process through accurate pricing backed by its Price Lock Promise and clear communication every step of the way.
What sets Sherpa company apart from the competition?
Their Price Lock Promise is unheard of in this industry. Too often they hear from customers that they have been told by other companies their vehicle can be shipped at an unrealistically low price - only to discover their vehicle was never picked up or they were asked again and again to increase their price. At Sherpa, they do things differently. With their Price Lock Promise they’ll provide you with one quote and stick to it. The amount that quote you is the amount you’ll pay. It’s that simple.
What needs does Sherpa’s products or services fulfill, and how do they fulfill those needs better than their competition?
Whether it’s moving a family vehicle cross-country or making sure your classic car arrives at the show unscathed, Sherpa will get the job done in a timely and affordable manner with communication as its top priority. Sherpa always wants the company's customers to feel informed every step of the way. Frequently updates throughout the process help you rest assured that your vehicle is in good hands. Sherpa is also committed to finding solutions to potential challenges its customers may face. Examples of this include its Price Lock Promise and Clean Car Guarantee, which enables customers to get their car washed after delivery with a reimbursement from Sherpa for up to $20.
How does Sherpa think the industry will change in the next 2-5 years?
Sherpa is excited to see how technology will evolve to play a more pivotal part in how customers, brokers and carriers work together to do business.
How does Sherpa measure success?
Sherpa measures success one satisfied customer at a time. To them, this means no matter how big their company gets or what the numbers look like, if their customers aren’t satisfied at the end of the day, they haven’t succeeded. Sherpa will go the extra mile to make sure they exceed your expectations.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherpa Auto Transport?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

The initial quote was more than reasonable given the short turnaround time that I needed. In my uncle's shipping, Sherpa had to use their guaranteed thing. It's $300 give or take once they issued the quote to the customer. I contacted them on a Thursday or Friday of the week before and they went through the weekend and they let me know that they would be closing down Saturday evening. My uncle was a little worried and I told him that the people have to have downtime and we'd hear from them by Sunday evening. Sure enough, around 7:00 in the evening, an email came across saying that they were still working on getting the driver. Having dealt with car transport before, they're all on the same leaderboard. Once the car description is put in, everybody's looking at it and they know exactly who's been selected and it doesn't pay to jump around.

The pickup was in a rural part of Florida and I was concerned that it was off of a major highway. But that didn't make a difference. Once they made their commitment that they would pick up the car around 4:00 on that Wednesday, they were there on point. We were able to put a few boxes in the car that I would have had to pay UPS or ship my uncle's personal things. But I made sure that there was no obstruction of view and the front seat was completely clear of anything.

They exceeded the expectations in terms of delivery. We weren't expecting it until Saturday or Sunday. But they were there before 4:00 on that Friday, which would have been the 27th of August. When they called me, I was at the gas station in Orlando. My uncle was at his home in Live Oak. Once the guy told me what the deposit was going to be because that had changed, I said, "Give me five minutes to call my uncle and let him know that you're going to be calling him and give him your name because he'll be giving you his financial information for payment." He did that and he had cash available to pay them when the car dropped.

Also, my uncle placed the Bible on the dash of his vehicle and he told me that the service was so good that the Bible was in the exact same spot when the car arrived. They took pictures and there were no scratches, no dents, and no oil leaks from other cars. They couldn't have made my uncle happier. Sherpa would be number one on my list without a question and I would recommend them.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I needed to move a car from the West Coast to the East Coast. I narrowed down my choices of companies to what was supposedly the top five in the country according to ratings and I talked to them. Over the years, I dealt with people a lot and solved some problems moving this and that over the phone, so I can identify things by talking and listening to what they say and how they say it. Sherpa came across as very sincere and modest while a lot of the other ones were scripted. Sherpa was very personable and I liked their policies, pricing, and how they handle things.

Sherpa gave me a quote that was quite good even though it was a lot higher than what I wanted. At this point in time, they were very competitive compared to everybody else. Their price-lock promise was a factor for me too. With brokers, you don't know whether a price is locked or not. When you make the request, they do not have a driver at that point. They find people and if no one wants to do it for the price that they quoted you, you get stuck with a price increase.

I also questioned Sherpa along with the other companies at length about the quality of their drivers and how they vetted them. Sherpa went into great detail and I could tell that the rep was telling me from what he knew and not parroting something back about how they had certain levels. The other ones sounded annoyed that I would ask and just said they check to make sure that the drivers haven't been drunk driving. They were very generic and general about their testing, which made it sound like they don't do very much. That coincided with the different reviews or different people's experiences that I read. It turned out to be true.

The guy that showed up with the car was very good and very accommodating. Somebody who lives very close checked the car out. My daughter then picked up the car. She contacted the driver and they arranged a place to meet. Sherpa was great as far as their end of the deal. It was timely, arrived in good shape, and there was communication along the way.

I only wish they have at least a minimal tracking method set up. It was weird because I had a car shipped from West Coast, Los Angeles a few years back and I could keep track of it and know where it was along the way. Sherpa doesn't have that and it wasn't extremely difficult. Sherpa should have some way to make it a little easier to know what's going on along the way. Otherwise, you know the day the car is picked up but you don't know things exactly. In our case, we needed to have some advance notice on what day in order to be able to plan for it. The pick-up spot was initially going to be a couple of hours away. If you knew a day ahead of time at least where they were, it's helpful to plan your time. If they just say it would take 7 to 10 days, that's fine but that means there are three, four, or five days there that I can't be anywhere because I would have to be around in case the delivery comes.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Sherpa had a good rating on Better Business Bureau and it said that Sherpa was a bit more expensive than some of the other ones, but they had a guarantee to get your car moved in the appropriate time frame. I realized that in that industry, they give you a date but it would float a couple of days here or there. So, it's not definitive because they are just an agent. They're not actually moving the car. I was always moving out of state, so I wanted to make sure that I had that whole week. I would still be up in New York. So, I decided to call them and get a quote.

I had some lowball quotes, but most of them were at 700, 800. The rep gave me a quote of 1,900 and I said to him, "Look, don't you guys have some more guarantees than the other companies?" But $1,900, that's more than double. He ended up inputting the wrong destination. He put it in California rather than North Carolina. So, he went back to check it, and then he said, "Oh, wait a minute. I screwed up. Hold on one second." He then did it. They were a bit more expensive, but I wanted my car to get down there. I was moving to North Carolina and they're based out of Charlotte.

I called Sherpa the week before and they said, "Yeah, we don't have anything yet. But typically, these things happen pretty quickly. We'll let you know." My first date was a Monday, 19th of July. Sherpa sent me an email on Sunday saying that, "We don't have a driver yet, but we're gonna keep you informed." That was good to know that I was in the queue. I was surprised because Sherpa called me and said, "Okay, today's the day, and guess what, we got a driver and the guy's going to be there in a couple of hours." He then told me the name of the company and said the guy would call me. He would be here in a couple of hours, which was accurate. So, I was prepared.

I wish they gave me a bit more of a notice, but it was fine. I was home, and then the driver came. He called me when he got to my house and those folks were from North Carolina also. And the two folks from the company were very good. I gave one my daughter's number, where he would drop the car off in North Carolina. I asked him when they would be there. Because with these auto transports, sometimes it would take three days. He said, "No, I'm going to be down there tomorrow. I'm probably not gonna get there till 5:00." I said, "Okay, good. My daughter will be available any time after 3:00." The driver was very courteous. I had a nice talk with him

He got down there early and called my daughter. She said, "Look, I'm not going to be home until like 2:33." He said, "Okay, no problem. I'll hold off." He came, dropped the car off, we had cash for him and everything worked out good. The car was in good shape, no dents. It looked exactly like it was in New York. They got my car up without incident and they were able to communicate to my destination. Everything worked out as planned and scheduled.

Sherpa Auto Transport response

Thank you for sharing your auto transport experience! When Sherpa was founded we promised to do things differently. We live out this promise every day by providing excellent customer service. With frequent updates throughout the process, transparent pricing backed by our Price Lock Promise and our commitment to thoroughly vet carriers to find the best option to transport your vehicle. Thank you for choosing Sherpa Auto Transport!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I felt that Sherpa had the best reviews. As for my experience, it was so-so. The dispatcher for Sherpa was awful. He did not follow instructions. I had specifically given him instructions to call, “Here’s your primary number. If you can’t reach that, call this number for the California side. And then if you can’t reach that second number, then call me.” He just kept calling me and I was across the country. I was like, “Did you call the other numbers first?” He said he called them. Then I checked and said, “Hey, did this person or this number call you?” “No, we haven’t gotten any phone calls today.”

I just had a terribly busy schedule. I had a lot going on. So I was like, “Can you please make sure that you call these numbers before you call me. Because one, my phone is usually on Do Not Disturb while I'm studying, so I may not even get it. So if you just call me, not only am I on the East Coast, and you're going through the West Coast, right? I just want to make sure you have information.” But he would lie and say, “Oh, I did. I tried them.” He didn’t. So, that was really frustrating because there was a lot of back and forth. Then he gave me the wrong pick-up time. I received a phone call saying that the truck driver was gonna be out there on the 4th of July after 6:30 pm. I said, “Are you sure that the truck driver wants to come towards the DC area, where it’s the nation's capital, on a holiday weekend when they're doing fireworks? That's kind of a weird time.” He was like, “Well, that’s the time that I was given.”

An hour or so later, the truck driver called and said he was 20 minutes away. This was July 3rd. I was like, “Well, I was just told an hour or so ago that you weren't coming until tomorrow night.” I did not have any cash on me, and I didn’t have a car. So, I had to call a neighbor. It was like 8:30 pm and a holiday weekend. That took all this extra time like, “Can you do Venmo? Can we Cash App?” It was like a nightmare. Then the truck driver said, “Well, I told him I was two hours away.”

The biggest issue was the dispatcher with Sherpa being an idiot and not getting stuff correctly. That was annoying and a really huge inconvenience for me. I had to call an Uber, which was on a holiday weekend. Then I had to wait 18 minutes for the Uber to arrive. I needed to get dressed. It was a big hassle because the dispatcher had the time wrong. On the other hand, the truck driver was very nice, courteous and careful. He did as much due diligence as he could. He spent a decent amount of time talking to my father in California picking up my car.

Sherpa Auto Transport response

Rosa- Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate any and all feedback to help us improve as a company. Based on our research, it sounds like you did not have the best experience with the dispatcher for your assigned carrier company. We are passing along that feedback to the carrier and directly working with them to improve their communication, as your experience is not indicative of the quality of service we expect. We are glad that you had a positive experience with Sherpa's services overall and that you are giving us a chance to ship a second vehicle for you!

Original review: June 30, 2021

My fiancée is a wizard when it comes to doing her due diligence and finding the best companies and reading reviews. I asked her to pull her magic and let me know what she thought, and Sherpa was in the top five transport companies and were actually the first ones to answer the phone or respond to my call. Joseph was the gentleman that I talked to. He was very professional and friendly. He made me feel very comfortable with using the company to broker the deal for me.

Top Line Auto Service based out of California dropped the car off. The two brothers met me. I had spoken to Joseph on the phone, and figured out what direction they were coming from, which was east from Florida. And based on where I live, I gave them the best place that I thought would be the easiest to pull up an 18-wheeler, and with a truckload of cars, to offload it and meet them to where they could easily get back on the interstate again and go about their day without having to snake through city traffic. We got that place lined up. It was a few miles away from my house. They called me numerous times when they were on the way and got there. The car was dirty, but I expected it to be. It was raining and it was an open truck. But other than that, no damage to the vehicle. The brothers were incredibly friendly and professional people that if I had to use anybody again, I would recommend them and Sherpa.

I was very worried throughout the process because I have never purchased a vehicle that I have never seen before, or even driven or heard it idle. They got it to me and it was in good shape. And everything was good. I enjoyed it. Plus they were cool. They had a very exotic, classic car on the truck and they had to offload it to get my car off. They opened the doors and let me peek my head in and take a look at it, and I drooled a bit at how cool the car was.

Sherpa's quote was better than anything that I had received other than ones that were scams. I've never done this before. I just signed up online and I was hammered with emails and phone calls from a lot of people that were trying to, “Oh, I'll beat this price. I'll do this price.” And I was getting quotes that seemed too good to be true, and they were, because once I went and got my fiancée to do her magic and look these particular companies up, she was like, “Yeah, that's gonna be a no. Each one of those has terrible reviews and they're scams.” Because they quoted me 500 bucks, $600, that type of stuff. What Sherpa quoted me wasn't gonna fluctuate. If it did, they would apply money towards it if need be. It was right on the money. The transport was part of my car purcahsing process that was the fastest, streamlined and very much worth the money that I paid for.

Sherpa Auto Transport response

It means a lot that you chose us to work with us after thoroughly researching the many options available in the marketplace. Our goal is for every customer to feel well-informed and knowledgeable about the auto transport process and confident in their decision to ship with Sherpa. We love hearing that you felt this way while we worked together.Unfortunately, during transit the car can get dirty which is why we offer our clean-car guarantee. We encourage you to take advantage of this offer. Please send an email to fulfillment@sherpaautotransport.com for details on how to redeem! Thank you for choosing Sherpa Auto Transport.

Original review: June 23, 2022

This was my first time having a vehicle transported and the service was EXCEPTIONAL. I changed drop off locations several times and there was never a problem. All individuals I spoke with were extremely pleasant. I will certainly use Sherpa if the need for car transport is ever needed

Original review: June 23, 2022

Quick, Painless, Reasonable. With the cost of fuel, and the importance of my time, Sherpa Transport service provided me a great option to get my purchased car home. They kept me informed as often as was needed, and delivered my car home damage free. That's all I demanded, and they delivered! Thanks!

Original review: June 23, 2022

The car was picked up promptly and we were contacted promptly. The car was delivered in perfect condition 48 hours later. The driver was very nice and very polite. We could not be more pleased. We will use Sherpa this Autumn.

Original review: June 23, 2022

Had my car shipped from Colorado Springs to SC. Driver was courteous and efficient. Car arrived in SC in 4 days, no issues. Kind of hassle to pay cash but it was a reasonable rate. Booking staff was knowledgeable and friendly and got me a great rate.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I read the Better Business Bureau reports and Sherpa was at the top. I’m a senior, so I looked at a few senior sites and Sherpa was recommended by one of the sites that I looked at. I called them and they were pretty straightforward. They weren’t the lowest price but they had a promised guarantee stating that it would only be a certain price and they guaranteed $300 over.

I have a Kia and I was having it transported from Southern Arizona to Sebring, Florida. What Sherpa does is they put the bid out and different transport companies then bid on that. I had a gentleman from Miami who was making the trip back and forth and he called me. I was under the impression I would get a 24 to 48-hour notice. He was very professional when he showed up and he delivered my car safely. But he only gave me half hour notice on my end before he wanted to get the car.

The car was picked up on a Tuesday morning and it was delivered on Friday. I was still in Arizona. My daughter-in-law and son were having the car delivered. The gentleman texted me Thursday night and said, “Let them know that I’ll be there first thing in the morning.” It was already midnight in Florida so they didn’t get the message. In the end, it all worked out fine despite the transport guy not quite meeting the expectations that Sherpa said I would get from a carrier. The car was delivered exactly as they said it would be. It made it fine. I was promised upfront by Sherpa a free car wash but my car was clean, so I didn’t use the car wash. I was very happy.

Sherpa Auto Transport Company Information