2. Auto Transporters

4.9/5 (722 ratings)

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa Auto Transport is an auto transportation provider offering door-to-door shipping, top-notch customer service focused on professional, frequent communication and accurate pricing based on real-time data. When you choose Sherpa you’ll never experience bait-and-switch pricing. With their exclusive Price Lock Promise they’ll tell you how much it will cost to ship your vehicle and stick to it. In an industry rife with false promises and poor communication, Sherpa’s dedication to giving you a smooth and stress-free transport experience extends from the first phone call to after delivery. Contact Sherpa Auto Transport now to get a free and fair full-service auto transport quote backed by their Price Lock Promise.

Pros

• Door-to-door shipping
  • Strictly vetted carriers
  • Price Lock Promise
  • Free quote

Cons

• Terminal-to-terminal transport not offered

Bottom Line

Sherpa is dedicated to providing transparent pricing, personable customer service and hassle-free auto transports. There's no charge until a carrier is secured, and its Price Lock Promise makes financial sense.

Top Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Sherpa had good reviews and the quote they provided was accurate. Customer service was great and the driver was awesome. Everything was good and it all worked out. I’m very please...

Verified

Sherpa's price, responsiveness and their overall structure made me choose them. Their customer service were responsive, answered the phone, gave me answers and kept me up-to-date....

Information from Sherpa on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Sherpa’s preferred network of carriers continues to transport vehicles for customers but is taking steps to protect the health of its employees and clients. You can call to secure your shipment. Sherpa encourages customers and transporters to follow all Centers for Disease Control guidelines in regard to COVID-19. Specifically, the company suggests you wipe down and sanitize the following areas of your vehicle upon pickup and delivery: door handles, steering wheel, gear shift and other interior points.

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa is an auto transporter broker with a focus on transparent pricing and helpful, friendly customer service. They carefully investigate carriers to ensure maximum safety for your vehicle while providing more reliable transportation times. Sherpa specializes in late model vehicles, relocations, snowbird routes and multi-car shipments. They also ship classic automobiles, SUVs, vans, trucks, and even inoperable vehicles. As an added bonus, Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise means you won’t pay more than their initial quote.

Sherpa Auto Transport cost

The average cost to ship a car with Sherpa is about $910, but this can vary based on typical factors, such as type of car, the season of shipment and route taken. The pricing Sherpa offers is based on real-time data. The company does not charge you until it secures a carrier for your vehicle. If you decide to cancel before a carrier is assigned to you, you will only have to pay a $25 dispatch fee; however, if you cancel after a carrier is assigned to you, Sherpa will keep your deposit.

One of Sherpa’s best features is the Price Lock Promise, which means Sherpa will stick to the price they originally quote you. This was born out of the desire among consumers and individuals in the auto transport industry for a more straightforward, clear and honest quote process. Some reviews mention that Sherpa doesn’t necessarily offer the lowest quotes. However, there are several things you can do to mitigate price, such as planning your auto transport well in advance.

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping options

Sherpa offers both local and long-distance transport and is able to ship a wide array of vehicles, including sedans, vans, SUVs and classic cars. Inoperable cars are also accepted. Several discounts are available for snowbird routes, seniors, multi-car transports, repeat customers, students and members of the military. Open and enclosed transport are both options.

Door-to-door shipping is the most commonly offered type of transport with Sherpa, as it tends to be the most convenient option for consumers. Sherpa’s Clean Car Guarantee lets customers make sure their car is sparkling clean, even after a long cross-country trip. After their vehicle has been dropped off, customers can take their car to a car wash, and Sherpa will reimburse them up to $20.

• Local and long-distance transport
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Inoperable and operable cars shipped
  • Discounts available
  • Open and enclosed transport
  • Clean Car Guarantee

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping process

Call Sherpa customer service or fill out an online form to receive a free quote backed by Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise. Sherpa will also give a 2-4 hour pickup window.

Once the vehicle has been picked up, you can call customer service at any time to see the vehicle’s location and estimated time of arrival. Depending on the length of the route and the centrality or remoteness of the pickup and dropoff locations, it can take a day or two all the way up to a few weeks for the vehicle to be delivered. Once the car has been dropped off and checked for damages, make sure to take advantage of the Clean Car Guarantee to make sure your car looks like new.

Do we recommend Sherpa Auto Transport?

We recommend Sherpa for their transparent pricing, highly reviewed customer service and other benefits like the Clean Car Guarantee and variety of discounts. Sherpa’s commitment to clear communication and straightforward pricing has made a difference in the industry, and for this reason, we think they are a good choice for auto transports.

Sherpa Auto Transport Q&A

Is Sherpa a broker or a carrier?
Sherpa is an auto transport broker, which means they work with a preferred network of transport companies to ensure your vehicle or fleet is shipped safely and efficiently to its destination.
Does Sherpa focus on local or long-distance auto transport?
Sherpa customizes the type of transport to whatever their clients need. Whether you need your vehicle shipped across the country or down the street, they’ll take care of the details.
Does Sherpa transport classic or antique vehicles?
Definitely! Sherpa works with enclosed transport trucks that can safely move your luxury or rare vehicle.
What problem is Sherpa trying to solve?
Auto transport is a complex industry, and it can be hard for people to find a reliable company. They’re dedicated to providing their customers with a hassle-free process at an affordable rate with no bait-and-switch pricing backed by our Price Lock Promise, while guiding them with clear communication every step of the way.
What sets Sherpa company apart from the competition?
Their Price Lock Promise is unheard of in this industry. Too often they hear from customers that they have been told by other companies their vehicle can be shipped at an unrealistically low price - only to discover their vehicle was never picked up or they were asked again and again to increase their price. At Sherpa, they do things differently. With their Price Lock Promise they’ll provide you with one quote and stick to it. The amount that quote you is the amount you’ll pay. It’s that simple.
What needs does Sherpa’s products or services fulfill, and how do they fulfill those needs better than their competition?
Whether it’s moving a family car cross-country or making sure your classic car arrives at the show unscathed, Sherpa will get the job done in a timely and affordable manner. Communication is their priority. Sherpa always want their customers to feel informed every step of the way. By updating you frequently throughout the process you can rest assured that your vehicle is in good hands. They’re also committed to finding solutions to potential challenges their customers may face. Examples of this include our Price Lock Promise and their Clean Car Guarantee which enables customers to get their car washed after delivery with us footing the bill.
How does Sherpa think the industry will change in the next 2-5 years?
Sherpa is excited to see how technology will evolve to play a more pivotal part in how customers, brokers and carriers work together to do business.
How does Sherpa measure success?
Sherpa measures success one satisfied customer at a time. To them, this means no matter how big their company gets or what the numbers look like, if their customers aren’t satisfied at the end of the day, they haven’t succeeded. Sherpa will go the extra mile to make sure they exceed your expectations.

Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherpa Auto Transport?

Original review: June 30, 2021

My fiancée is a wizard when it comes to doing her due diligence and finding the best companies and reading reviews. I asked her to pull her magic and let me know what she thought, and Sherpa was in the top five transport companies and were actually the first ones to answer the phone or respond to my call. Joseph was the gentleman that I talked to. He was very professional and friendly. He made me feel very comfortable with using the company to broker the deal for me.

Top Line Auto Service based out of California dropped the car off. The two brothers met me. I had spoken to Joseph on the phone, and figured out what direction they were coming from, which was east from Florida. And based on where I live, I gave them the best place that I thought would be the easiest to pull up an 18-wheeler, and with a truckload of cars, to offload it and meet them to where they could easily get back on the interstate again and go about their day without having to snake through city traffic. We got that place lined up. It was a few miles away from my house. They called me numerous times when they were on the way and got there. The car was dirty, but I expected it to be. It was raining and it was an open truck. But other than that, no damage to the vehicle. The brothers were incredibly friendly and professional people that if I had to use anybody again, I would recommend them and Sherpa.

I was very worried throughout the process because I have never purchased a vehicle that I have never seen before, or even driven or heard it idle. They got it to me and it was in good shape. And everything was good. I enjoyed it. Plus they were cool. They had a very exotic, classic car on the truck and they had to offload it to get my car off. They opened the doors and let me peek my head in and take a look at it, and I drooled a bit at how cool the car was.

Sherpa's quote was better than anything that I had received other than ones that were scams. I've never done this before. I just signed up online and I was hammered with emails and phone calls from a lot of people that were trying to, “Oh, I'll beat this price. I'll do this price.” And I was getting quotes that seemed too good to be true, and they were, because once I went and got my fiancée to do her magic and look these particular companies up, she was like, “Yeah, that's gonna be a no. Each one of those has terrible reviews and they're scams.” Because they quoted me 500 bucks, $600, that type of stuff. What Sherpa quoted me wasn't gonna fluctuate. If it did, they would apply money towards it if need be. It was right on the money. The transport was part of my car purcahsing process that was the fastest, streamlined and very much worth the money that I paid for.

Sherpa Auto Transport response

It means a lot that you chose us to work with us after thoroughly researching the many options available in the marketplace. Our goal is for every customer to feel well-informed and knowledgeable about the auto transport process and confident in their decision to ship with Sherpa. We love hearing that you felt this way while we worked together.Unfortunately, during transit the car can get dirty which is why we offer our clean-car guarantee. We encourage you to take advantage of this offer. Please send an email to fulfillment@sherpaautotransport.com for details on how to redeem! Thank you for choosing Sherpa Auto Transport.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2021

The reservation process at Sherpa was straightforward and it was easy to book. It's a different kind of service than what you're used to in normal consumer situation because of their scheduling windows and their availability. It's geared to be towards an on-demand. But you're still putting yourself in a situation where you're putting your quote out in the open market and you're hoping someone takes the quote in the time that you need it. That was probably the most tenuous part of the experience. As we were getting closer to our departure date, we were still waiting on confirmation if anyone was even going to pick up the cars and as we got closer, it became a little more stressful because we were within days of leaving and they had not even started the process.

By the time that we got the cars picked up, it was a race. We had to get to the destination before the auto transport company got there because Sherpa's a brokerage company. So, they inevitably outsource the job to another company and dealing with the final company was stressful because we didn't know what to expect from them. We were moving and we had just sold our house and we had nowhere to keep the cars. We could not wait another couple of days. We had no physical property keeping that unless we rented a space and kept the cars there, which we were in U-Hauls. So, we literally had nowhere to go and we had two extra cars sitting around that we're hoping that they show up when they say they're gonna show up.

One of the conditions with most auto transport companies is you have to have a certified check. When we found out who the brokerage company was, it was within about an hour and a half of them picking up the vehicle. At that time, it was 5:00 eastern for us and there was no way to get a certified check because we didn't know the name of the company. Once we got the name, they picked up the vehicles around 6:00 eastern. We had to wait until the next business day before we could even stop off at our bank and get a certified check. At that point we were already 12 hours behind the transporter who had already left.

To top everything off there, he was foreign and spoke no English at all, which was a little scary because we're worried if he understood what we were trying to do. But he was very professional. We watched him load the cars and we had some comfort that he knew that we were not gonna be able to start until 12 hours later. But that company’s dispatcher was also foreign. So, we were a little concerned that the communication process. So, we started out the next day hoping for the best. We had ways to contact him but it wasn't very straightforward. You would text the driver and you might get a text back in a couple of hours. If you text the dispatcher, it was a lot of broken English and almost got to the point of less communication was probably better to not confuse the situation. So, we stayed out of the situation and kept driving.

It was a two-day trip for us. So, when we got here, we arrived before the driver. He had managed to say that he would drive slowly. It was the best that he could explain and we got here probably about three or four hours before he did. When he arrived, the cars were in great shape. We checked the mileage and there was no funny business that went on. The cars were transported exactly as we expected and he was very professional in getting the vehicles off his transport.

It was just very nerve-wracking up until the point the cars got picked up because we were ready before the cars were ready to be picked up. Then, the whole transport process was nerve-wracking because there was a lot of language barrier issues that was out of Sherpa's hands. Sherpa left the process when they handed it off to the company who picked up the cars. Then, all of a sudden, Sherpa came back in at the very back end once the cars had been delivered to make sure everything was okay. It was a stressful situation that ended up being a good experience. The entire trip was stressful but it was no fault of Sherpa. It was just the way that their system works.

I was still pleased with Sherpa's service but they waited a little too long to escalate in their process because they took our original bid that we had agreed to with them. They have a price match guarantee. They'll kick in up to $300 extra to make sure that each vehicle gets shipped within our schedule. In the original bidding process, when they had our reservation, we're almost a month out when we booked with them. We were literally sitting in the house and getting ready to close before they escalated our shipping need to where they would kick in the extra 300. So, they were still waiting before they would kick in that extra promise. Then, when they kicked in the extra $300, we literally had left to go close the house. It was about eight hours later that they eventually got a driver for us.

The actual shippers that are out there looking at their boards, knowing that that is a Sherpa quote, were probably in the mindset of waiting for Sherpa to desperately need them before they go take the bid because that's when they know they can get the most money out of them. So, from a retail point of view, it looks good for Sherpa to the customer that they’re going to cover the extra money. But it probably hurts them because the subcontractors that they're awarding the jobs to know that if they hold off, they're going to make more money out of Sherpa. It's not a good arrangement for the customer, even though Sherpa stands by the letter to what they promise.

In our situation, we were told that the pick-up could happen as early as Saturday and it was Tuesday night before they awarded who to pick up and who the transport company was going to be. So, we were at the very end of the window when Sherpa said that they would get us someone. It took a little bit of a rude phone call from me for them to finally say they were going to kick in the extra money. But we got our vehicles and everything was delivered as promised. There was some extra stress that didn't need to be but I was pleased if I could get our cars. At the end of the experience, that should not have been what my real measure of success was. It shouldn't be like a hostage situation that you're glad that they delivered.

Original review: June 3, 2021

We thought we’d transport a car. I was scared to death of the idea. I read all the horror stories - cars falling off trucks, cars coming full of mud, dents, whatever. I researched the heck out of it. I went through 15 transports, and read their stuff online. Sherpa's presentation online was good. It was convincing. It was humble in the sense of the reality of the whole car transport business. The fact that you're not dealing initially with the driver, you're dealing with a broker. Most people are not familiar with doing this and don't understand the difference between a trucker and a broker. That's the scary part. And that's what Sherpa covered so well. And in service, I never had to sit on hold with them if I had a question. It was the same with talking to the truckers. They were very cool and sharp, and they did the job.

The car was picked up exactly where and when we expected. The two young drivers were neat. They shuffled the cars around to get them in the order they needed them. We watched them do it very carefully in moving cars in and out. And off they went. It disappeared in Phoenix, Arizona. Our family members were here already in Michigan when the car arrived. It arrived at exactly the right time. A family of ours picked the car up. The driver called ahead, said, “Here's when we expect to be there.” Rolled the car off the truck. And with the most thorough examination, it was obvious the car suffered no damage, no dents. It was no worse for wear at all.

The price of Sherpa was higher than some of the other offers. But what we read was, in this business, you get what you pay for. The offer goes up online and drivers get a choice of whether they want to take it or not. And if the price is low, the car can sit there forever until some desperate driver decides he just needs another buck. If you put a decent price up there on the board that is attractive to a good driver, then you get what you pay for. That’s what we discovered. That with Sherpa, even though they were putting a higher price up on the board to get a driver, we got the right one. We got guys that got our car from point A to point B on time, in its original shape. If we were to do this again, and we may, Sherpa would be the first choice. I was very impressed. Our old Corolla was sitting next to a sports car that was 100 times what our car was worth. And I figured, “Well, if they're gonna transport that car, they can take my Corolla.”

As long as Sherpa’s in business, and they are there to grab my car and take it where I need it to go, I would do it. Most other people are first-timers with trucking a car. And if that's the case, I would say, “Give Sherpa a try.” And don't expect that it's going to be cheap. The sense of relief when that car came off the truck was worth it.

Sherpa Auto Transport response

Thank you for the great review, John! We know that shipping a vehicle can feel daunting. That's why Sherpa Auto Transport is committed to making the process as easy and stress-free as possible for all our customers. By providing frequent and courteous updates throughout the shipping process and offering transparent pricing backed by our Price Lock Promise we help our customers feel comfortable choosing Sherpa. We know there are a lot of options to choose from in the auto transport marketplace and it means a lot that you trusted us to ship your car.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I've shipped vehicles before and once you put your information online, everybody starts sending you emails. Sherpa was offering rebate at the completion of the move, and they were more in tune to trying to keep cost down as much as possible. Setting up the service was awesome. I had a situation where I wanted to get in the system, but I didn't really have a date to ship. The representative was able to build a plan, and then put me on a no-hold list until I was able to get the information needed to book a driver.

The driver told me when he was leaving, and he showed up. He had an older model vehicle, and it leaked oil. My two vehicles were on the bottom. So, they were filthy. It was because of that car and he explained that. He didn’t try to tell me anything different. I contacted Sherpa today. A part of my contract was I was supposed to receive a rebate on the total amount, but that was dependent upon me mailing the bill of lading to confirm that I had received delivery. Also, Sherpa offered a free carwash, which is why I wasn't too concerned with the driver. They said, “Free car wash on us. All you gotta do is send a receipt.” I was able to do that as soon as I picked the cars up. But I had to mail in the receipt for the carwash as well as the bill of lading for both vehicles, and I did that. I received the refund for the $10 car washes, but I didn't receive the refund back for both vehicle which totals $200. So, I inquired about that.

I'm still waiting to see what the situation is on the rebate. So, the only thing is them following up on what they offered. But my interaction with them is positive. If for some reason I had to move across country again and I was gonna ship vehicles, I would use them. I shipped two vehicles prior too, and we went through somebody else and the price was so high. I felt like we got a better deal with Sherpa. So, I would definitely use them or recommend them.

Sherpa Auto Transport response

The experience you recount in your review is what we strive to provide for every customer. We have worked hard to make every aspect of the transport process - from the conversations with our representatives on the phone, the online portal used to secure your transport to your communication with the carrier - as easy as possible. Our rebate offer and our Clean Car Guarantee, which enables customers to get a car wash on us, are just some examples of our customer-first mentality and our dedication to improving the auto transport experience. Thank you for the thoughtful review. We look forward to working with you again in the future!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

A couple years ago, my wife and I started living in two locations on two coasts. So, we split our time since we're both retired both in Massachusetts and California. So, we had access to a car while we were here in California. Over the first few years, that car died after a long life. To give us greater flexibility, we decided to ship one of our two cars from Massachusetts to California for our flexibility here.

All three estimates that I got were reasonably close to each other. I kicked the highest one out. I viewed this as transactions as long as they were rated reasonably well by previous users of the services. So, it narrowed down to Sherpa. At the end of the day, it turned out really silly. But it was the free car wash at the end. Both companies came out and they each added one service at the end of the kicker to try and win us over. Sherpa was a free carwash, the other one was a free car rental if they didn't deliver the car when they said they would by a certain date. I was less concerned about that because I can live a day or two without the car where I'm at. I have access to a couple others. So, I said, “You know what? I’ll get the free car wash. Make my car look new when we drive it here.” It's a silly reason, but it is what it is.

Sherpa's reps know what they're doing. I found that to be the case of both companies I talked to. The gentlemen for Sherpa was very quick to get a quote back, and I really appreciated that. I suspect it's done very simply on calculators on their systems but at the same, I got a reply within an hour almost of each time I asked for a quote. There was about a four month gap when I first got quotes. Then we got serious and pulled the trigger to do it, but I wanted to make sure quotes were still valid. So, I did it again, and each time they came back very quickly. When I said go, within an hour they came back and said, “Okay, you're all set. Thank you very much. The driver will be in touch with you.”

They introduced me to the driver via email and that driver then took it over from Massachusetts. I never heard from Sherpa again, but it didn't bother me. I was fine. The driver got in touch with us. Sherpa did notify us they were going to deliver the car when they did. I said that my wife was going to be in California. I was in Massachusetts, but she would receive it on the west coast. They made that happen. It was great. Using Sherpa was painless and effective, and they're reasonably priced, courteous and did what they said they’d do.

Original review: July 25, 2021

It's always a daunting task to ship a vehicle. It's not always about the lowest price, though Sherpa was right in there with their pricing. Shipped from Northern California to South Carolina. Sherpa was in continual contact with us from the get go, securing a driver within just a couple days. I always knew where we were in the process of shipment with either an email or call. Driver contact was clear and professional. Pick up was on time, drop off was on time. It really couldn't have gone better. I would definitely recommend Sherpa to anyone shipping a vehicle.

Original review: July 24, 2021

Great job by Dillano and the team for another smooth transaction and on-time delivery of my Range Rover from the dealer in Dallas to MA. Once can be a fluke but this is the second time I have used Sherpa and it was another excellent experience. I will use Sherpa for my future transport needs and recommend them without reservation.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Excellent service and well mannered employees such as service center. The pickup person that made it all possible in the transport of my vehicle from NJ to Fl without a problem. In fact it arrive before I got there - perfect and convenient for my family. I like to thank you staff for making it happen, I’m very happy with your service and I would recommend you to family and friends.

Original review: July 23, 2021

I needed to ship a car and Sherpa really helped secure a driver for me. Their guarantee really helped me and their promise to have a driver pickup my car within 3 business days was accomplished. My only advice is prepare for it possibly taking 3 business days for the vehicle to be picked up. The service that was provided by MNSTR Trucking Inc. was phenomenal!! I recommend Sherpa in the future if you need a car transported.

Original review: July 23, 2021

We had both of our cars shipped from Michigan to Arizona. They were professional and responsive. Our cars arrived sooner than we thought and the actual hauler was great at accommodating us. Sherpa is a broker and their vendors were awesome!!!

Sherpa Auto Transport Company Information