4.9/5 (1560 ratings)

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa Auto Transport is an auto transportation provider offering door-to-door shipping, top-notch customer service focused on professional, frequent communication and accurate pricing based on real-time data. When you choose Sherpa you’ll never experience bait-and-switch pricing. With their exclusive Price Lock Promise they’ll tell you how much it will cost to ship your vehicle and stick to it. In an industry rife with false promises and poor communication, Sherpa’s dedication to giving you a smooth and stress-free transport experience extends from the first phone call to after delivery. Contact Sherpa Auto Transport now to get a free and fair full-service auto transport quote backed by their Price Lock Promise.

Pros

• Door-to-door shipping
  • Strictly vetted carriers
  • Price Lock Promise
  • Free car wash upon delivery

Cons

• Terminal-to-terminal transport not offered

Bottom Line

Sherpa is dedicated to providing transparent pricing, personable customer service and hassle-free auto transports. There's no charge until a carrier is secured, and its Price Lock Promise makes financial sense.

Top Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Sherpa had good reviews and the quote they provided was accurate. Customer service was great and the driver was awesome. Everything was good and it all worked out. I’m very please...

Verified

Sherpa's price, responsiveness and their overall structure made me choose them. Their customer service were responsive, answered the phone, gave me answers and kept me up-to-date....

Information from Sherpa on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Sherpa’s preferred network of carriers continues to transport vehicles for customers but is taking steps to protect the health of its employees and clients. You can call to secure your shipment. Sherpa encourages customers and transporters to follow all Centers for Disease Control guidelines in regard to COVID-19. Specifically, the company suggests you wipe down and sanitize the following areas of your vehicle upon pickup and delivery: door handles, steering wheel, gear shift and other interior points.

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa is an auto transporter broker with a focus on transparent pricing and helpful, friendly customer service. They carefully investigate carriers to ensure maximum safety for your vehicle while providing more reliable transportation times. Sherpa specializes in late model vehicles, relocations, snowbird routes and multi-car shipments. They also ship classic automobiles, SUVs, vans, trucks, and even inoperable vehicles. As an added bonus, Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise means you won’t pay more than their initial quote.

Sherpa Auto Transport cost

The average cost to ship a car with Sherpa is about $910, but this can vary based on typical factors, such as type of car, the season of shipment and route taken. The pricing Sherpa offers is based on real-time data. The company does not charge you until it secures a carrier for your vehicle. If you decide to cancel before a carrier is assigned to you, you will only have to pay a $25 dispatch fee; however, if you cancel after a carrier is assigned to you, Sherpa will keep your deposit.

One of Sherpa’s best features is the Price Lock Promise, which means Sherpa will stick to the price they originally quote you. This was born out of the desire among consumers and individuals in the auto transport industry for a more straightforward, clear and honest quote process. Some reviews mention that Sherpa doesn’t necessarily offer the lowest quotes. However, there are several things you can do to mitigate price, such as planning your auto transport well in advance.

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping options

Sherpa offers both local and long-distance transport and is able to ship a wide array of vehicles, including sedans, vans, SUVs and classic cars. Inoperable cars are also accepted. Several discounts are available for snowbird routes, seniors, multi-car transports, repeat customers, students and members of the military. Open and enclosed transport are both options.

Door-to-door shipping is the most commonly offered type of transport with Sherpa, as it tends to be the most convenient option for consumers. Sherpa’s Clean Car Guarantee lets customers make sure their car is sparkling clean, even after a long cross-country trip. After their vehicle has been dropped off, customers can take their car to a car wash, and Sherpa will reimburse them up to $20.

• Local and long-distance transport
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Inoperable and operable cars shipped
  • Discounts available
  • Open and enclosed transport
  • Clean Car Guarantee

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping process

Call Sherpa customer service or fill out an online form to receive a free quote backed by Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise. Sherpa will also give a 2-4 hour pickup window.

Once the vehicle has been picked up, you can call customer service at any time to see the vehicle’s location and estimated time of arrival. Depending on the length of the route and the centrality or remoteness of the pickup and dropoff locations, it can take a day or two all the way up to a few weeks for the vehicle to be delivered. Once the car has been dropped off and checked for damages, make sure to take advantage of the Clean Car Guarantee to make sure your car looks like new.

Do we recommend Sherpa Auto Transport?

We recommend Sherpa for their transparent pricing, highly reviewed customer service and other benefits like the Clean Car Guarantee and variety of discounts. Sherpa’s commitment to clear communication and straightforward pricing has made a difference in the industry, and for this reason, we think they are a good choice for auto transports.

Sherpa Auto Transport Q&A

Is Sherpa a broker or a carrier?
Sherpa is an auto transport broker, which means they work with a preferred network of transport companies to ensure your vehicle or fleet is shipped safely and efficiently to its destination.
Does Sherpa focus on local or long-distance auto transport?
Sherpa customizes the type of transport to whatever their clients need. Whether you need your vehicle shipped across the country or down the street, they’ll take care of the details.
Does Sherpa transport classic or antique vehicles?
Definitely! Sherpa works with enclosed transport trucks that can safely move your luxury or rare vehicle.
What problem is Sherpa trying to solve?
Auto transport is a complex industry, and it can be challenging for consumers to find a reliable company. Sherpa is dedicated to providing its customers a hassle-free process through accurate pricing backed by its Price Lock Promise and clear communication every step of the way.
What sets Sherpa company apart from the competition?
Their Price Lock Promise is unheard of in this industry. Too often they hear from customers that they have been told by other companies their vehicle can be shipped at an unrealistically low price - only to discover their vehicle was never picked up or they were asked again and again to increase their price. At Sherpa, they do things differently. With their Price Lock Promise they’ll provide you with one quote and stick to it. The amount that quote you is the amount you’ll pay. It’s that simple.
What needs does Sherpa’s products or services fulfill, and how do they fulfill those needs better than their competition?
Whether it’s moving a family vehicle cross-country or making sure your classic car arrives at the show unscathed, Sherpa will get the job done in a timely and affordable manner with communication as its top priority. Sherpa always wants the company's customers to feel informed every step of the way. Frequently updates throughout the process help you rest assured that your vehicle is in good hands. Sherpa is also committed to finding solutions to potential challenges its customers may face. Examples of this include its Price Lock Promise and Clean Car Guarantee, which enables customers to get their car washed after delivery with a reimbursement from Sherpa for up to $20.
How does Sherpa think the industry will change in the next 2-5 years?
Sherpa is excited to see how technology will evolve to play a more pivotal part in how customers, brokers and carriers work together to do business.
How does Sherpa measure success?
Sherpa measures success one satisfied customer at a time. To them, this means no matter how big their company gets or what the numbers look like, if their customers aren’t satisfied at the end of the day, they haven’t succeeded. Sherpa will go the extra mile to make sure they exceed your expectations.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherpa Auto Transport?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

Sherpa was very quick to respond and I liked that. They laid out what the process looks like very quickly. It gave us the ability to make a decision very quickly and I felt very confident about what they were saying. It was just not lip service. The second thing that really sealed the deal was that they had this locked price that didn't creep up based on their inability or ability to get a driver. That was really important to us because we were transporting ourselves throughout the other part of the country. It was very costly and funds were not as easily accessible up to that point.

The drivers were amazing. When they stepped out of the truck, I felt like they were related to me. They were so super about communicating with me, but also with my sister who they had to meet here in Williamsport. Both of them immediately reached out to me and my sister separately, because we were the ones receiving the vehicle in Arizona. In terms of the drivers themselves, if I could be guaranteed to get them again, I would love to have them again. They were so concerned, making sure that we knew if they were going to be late for any reason. They worked hard because they knew we had been waiting for over two weeks. They knew if they could, they were going to try to get there early. They gave us an eight-day window, and they were two days early, so they communicated that with us as well. I couldn't be any happier with those drivers.

Sherpa struggled to get a driver. But they communicated every day and updated us. We didn't have a drop dead date. So we were grateful that they got here when they did. I didn't anticipate it to take as long to get a driver because I didn't know how long that would take. But it was not something that was super problematic for us because we gave ourselves plenty of time for that to be able to happen. Under normal circumstances, it does not take that long for any auto transport to get a driver. But under the circumstances that we have in this crazy world we live in right now, that was not something that was easy for Sherpa to secure. They said the transport was $1,500 and it was $1,500. We plan on using Sherpa again for any of our other auto transport needs for personal use. We're going to be sending my vehicle home in May and we won't even look elsewhere.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

A dear friend of ours was T-boned in an accident that was not her fault. She lost her 2004 car and was seriously injured. She ended up with NO CAR and having to go to so many medical appointments afterward. She lives in Illinois and we're in Arizona. We had a 2013 KIA Sorrento and in our 70's, and we didn't need two cars. So, it was sitting. We decided to try and get it to her. We took Sherpa because I have a great love of the Tibetan culture. Patrick, our broker, was wonderful, detailed and sincere. We felt the price to transport it was fair to all. ** out of Tennessee, took our bid. John, the senior driver and his assistant, Aaron, were on the phone to us letting us know when they'd be in our area. We met them at a Walmart parking lot. WHAT FUN!!! I have never laughed so much in a long time, and with the pandemic, laughter is a rare commodity. These truckers were knights and their "horse" was their truck.

John said they'd be at our friend's doorstep in 22 hours! Amazing, but I forgot, these two can drive 24 hours a day if they want with a sleeper in the truck. Because it was the Holidays, we wrapped them up a Christmas gift to take with them (cookies/chocolate) and we also gave each of them a Christmas card with a gift inside for each of them. They were stunned by our generosity, but I believe if more people were kind to one another, this world would be a peaceful place where everyone is respected and equal. John and Aaron arrived in Illinois 22 hours later! Our friend, Karen, was in tears, and she loved John and Aaron as much as we did! She made snacks for them as they drove to their next delivery. The car was in PERFECT shape....No damage, clean and well cared for by these two knights of the road.

The experience was incredible from Sherpa folks, Patrick and then the dispatcher. I was on the phone with Angela, a WOMAN TRUCK COMPANY OWNER (yea!) and she was sharp, knew the answer to my other questions, and we had a lot of laughs and "women humor" traded among us ;-). I complimented her on her drivers; how NICE and WARM and CARING they were...and told her I hadn't laughed so much in years (we have photos to prove it, too!) ;-). If we EVER have to do this again? We'll be calling Sherpa, for SURE. What a lovely Christmas gift for our friend...She now has "wheels" and it was a win-win-win for everyone involved. I hope more companies mirror Sherpa's caring and attention to every detail for someone like us who didn't even realize there was such a thing as being able to transport a car halfway across our great country!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I went out and looked at the different reviews that people had given for a bunch of shippers and compared them. Sherpa had more good reviews than bad reviews and they seemed to be in business longer than the others. And they didn't have a problem with me going VFR direct to them instead of through another shipping agent to get to them. I liked that better because I prefer to do that kind of business instead of having somebody talk to somebody for me when it's not necessary.

Sherpa's reps were friendly and they were right on it. In fact, they were so in tune with the shipper that they used that they thought he was the guy from the shipping company that transported the car. When I had a question about something, Sherpa's rep told me to hold on a second then he must have dialed them directly, got an answer, and got me back an answer. It seemed like he was right there with the driver, so I was happy with that. He was really clear and concise. Plus, he didn't cut me off like he was too busy.

Aside from that, the driver was great. I had to do this whole car juggling thing in order to get the car, because I didn't have the keys. I live close to where he was going to drop the vehicle off and he couldn't pull into my neighborhood. So he parked in the Walmart parking lot, and I live like a mile and a half from there. Then, I’ve forgotten my checkbook and I told him I'd be right back, so I could pay him. He said no problem and that he'd get it unloaded by the time I came back. So, I went home, got the money, and came back. The price I paid was exactly what they quoted, too. All in all, it was a seamless experience. Sherpa was timely and efficient. I've never used the company before, but if anybody ever asked, I wouldn’t leave that one.

Sherpa Auto Transport response

Vikki, we know there are a lot of options to choose from in the auto transport marketplace and it means a lot that you trusted us to ship your car. We pride ourselves on working hard for our customers by providing them with fair pricing, frequent and courteous communication and a trusted network of carriers. Thank you for choosing Sherpa Auto Transport!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

The initial quote was more than reasonable given the short turnaround time that I needed. In my uncle's shipping, Sherpa had to use their guaranteed thing. It's $300 give or take once they issued the quote to the customer. I contacted them on a Thursday or Friday of the week before and they went through the weekend and they let me know that they would be closing down Saturday evening. My uncle was a little worried and I told him that the people have to have downtime and we'd hear from them by Sunday evening. Sure enough, around 7:00 in the evening, an email came across saying that they were still working on getting the driver. Having dealt with car transport before, they're all on the same leaderboard. Once the car description is put in, everybody's looking at it and they know exactly who's been selected and it doesn't pay to jump around.

The pickup was in a rural part of Florida and I was concerned that it was off of a major highway. But that didn't make a difference. Once they made their commitment that they would pick up the car around 4:00 on that Wednesday, they were there on point. We were able to put a few boxes in the car that I would have had to pay UPS or ship my uncle's personal things. But I made sure that there was no obstruction of view and the front seat was completely clear of anything.

They exceeded the expectations in terms of delivery. We weren't expecting it until Saturday or Sunday. But they were there before 4:00 on that Friday, which would have been the 27th of August. When they called me, I was at the gas station in Orlando. My uncle was at his home in Live Oak. Once the guy told me what the deposit was going to be because that had changed, I said, "Give me five minutes to call my uncle and let him know that you're going to be calling him and give him your name because he'll be giving you his financial information for payment." He did that and he had cash available to pay them when the car dropped.

Also, my uncle placed the Bible on the dash of his vehicle and he told me that the service was so good that the Bible was in the exact same spot when the car arrived. They took pictures and there were no scratches, no dents, and no oil leaks from other cars. They couldn't have made my uncle happier. Sherpa would be number one on my list without a question and I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I needed to move a car from the West Coast to the East Coast. I narrowed down my choices of companies to what was supposedly the top five in the country according to ratings and I talked to them. Over the years, I dealt with people a lot and solved some problems moving this and that over the phone, so I can identify things by talking and listening to what they say and how they say it. Sherpa came across as very sincere and modest while a lot of the other ones were scripted. Sherpa was very personable and I liked their policies, pricing, and how they handle things.

Sherpa gave me a quote that was quite good even though it was a lot higher than what I wanted. At this point in time, they were very competitive compared to everybody else. Their price-lock promise was a factor for me too. With brokers, you don't know whether a price is locked or not. When you make the request, they do not have a driver at that point. They find people and if no one wants to do it for the price that they quoted you, you get stuck with a price increase.

I also questioned Sherpa along with the other companies at length about the quality of their drivers and how they vetted them. Sherpa went into great detail and I could tell that the rep was telling me from what he knew and not parroting something back about how they had certain levels. The other ones sounded annoyed that I would ask and just said they check to make sure that the drivers haven't been drunk driving. They were very generic and general about their testing, which made it sound like they don't do very much. That coincided with the different reviews or different people's experiences that I read. It turned out to be true.

The guy that showed up with the car was very good and very accommodating. Somebody who lives very close checked the car out. My daughter then picked up the car. She contacted the driver and they arranged a place to meet. Sherpa was great as far as their end of the deal. It was timely, arrived in good shape, and there was communication along the way.

I only wish they have at least a minimal tracking method set up. It was weird because I had a car shipped from West Coast, Los Angeles a few years back and I could keep track of it and know where it was along the way. Sherpa doesn't have that and it wasn't extremely difficult. Sherpa should have some way to make it a little easier to know what's going on along the way. Otherwise, you know the day the car is picked up but you don't know things exactly. In our case, we needed to have some advance notice on what day in order to be able to plan for it. The pick-up spot was initially going to be a couple of hours away. If you knew a day ahead of time at least where they were, it's helpful to plan your time. If they just say it would take 7 to 10 days, that's fine but that means there are three, four, or five days there that I can't be anywhere because I would have to be around in case the delivery comes.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

Overall, this was a great experience with no hassle. The Jeep was scheduled to be delivered 9/20-9/22, however I received a text on 9/18 that they would be arriving that evening. This is my only gripe. Luckily, I was in town and did not have anything going on, otherwise the outcome could have been different. It was also late when I picked it up. Hard to see the overall condition of the vehicle. Friendly driver.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

Sherpa staff were knowledgeable and responsive. The quoted price was very competitive when compared to several other freight brokerage services. The transport company completed the move without a hitch and communicated the status of the transport frequently. I appreciated the free cash wash upon delivery in California. Thx!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

We recently contacted Sherpa to transport a 1960 Chevy Impala from Michigan to Florida. The booking process was very fast, the price was reasonable for an enclosed trailer, and the actual carrier (Aristocrat Motor Carriers) was fantastic. The car was picked up at the seller's residence and delivered right to the front of our home. Transport time was two days. Excellent job!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

Sherpa followed through their mission and always kept me posted (great communication). I was a little nervous when Sherpa couldn’t find a contractor early, but I guess that is pretty normal procedure, and they were absolutely correct! Great service with their contractors who were very professional and on time with delivery to Alabama!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

First time using an auto transport service and I was quite nervous. The people at Sherpa never minded reiterating the specifics on the pick up and delivery. My car transport was put out for a bid and was picked up within 20 minutes! The driver had truck problems and it was put out again and I got a call 30 min later from a driver that was 15 min away from picking my car up from the dealer! He took pics all along his drive for me! If you’re looking at purchasing a car out of state and worry about transport, these guys give you peace of mind at a phenomenal price! I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Sherpa Auto Transport Company Information