2. Auto Transporters

5.0/5 (514 ratings)

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa Auto Transport is an auto transportation provider offering door-to-door shipping, top-notch customer service focused on professional, frequent communication and accurate pricing based on real-time data. When you choose Sherpa you’ll never experience bait-and-switch pricing. With their exclusive Price Lock Promise they’ll tell you how much it will cost to ship your vehicle and stick to it. In an industry rife with false promises and poor communication, Sherpa’s dedication to giving you a smooth and stress-free transport experience extends from the first phone call to after delivery. Contact Sherpa Auto Transport now to get a free and fair full-service auto transport quote backed by their Price Lock Promise.

Pros

• Door-to-door shipping
  • Strictly vetted carriers
  • Price Lock Promise
  • Free quote

Cons

• Terminal-to-terminal transport not offered

Bottom Line

Sherpa is dedicated to providing transparent pricing, personable customer service and hassle-free auto transports. Although they require an initial deposit, their Price Lock Promise makes financial sense.

Top Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews

Verified

Sherpa had good reviews and the quote they provided was accurate. Customer service was great and the driver was awesome. Everything was good and it all worked out. I’m very please...

Verified

Sherpa's price, responsiveness and their overall structure made me choose them. Their customer service were responsive, answered the phone, gave me answers and kept me up-to-date....

Information from Sherpa on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Sherpa’s preferred network of carriers continues to transport vehicles for customers but is taking steps to protect the health of its employees and clients. You can call to secure your shipment. Sherpa encourages customers and transporters to follow all Centers for Disease Control guidelines in regard to COVID-19. Specifically, the company suggests you wipe down and sanitize the following areas of your vehicle upon pickup and delivery: door handles, steering wheel, gear shift and other interior points.

About Sherpa Auto Transport

Sherpa is an auto transporter broker with a focus on transparent pricing and helpful, friendly customer service. They carefully investigate carriers to ensure maximum safety for your vehicle while providing more reliable transportation times. Sherpa specializes in late model vehicles, relocations, snowbird routes and multi-car shipments. They also ship classic automobiles, SUVs, vans, trucks, and even inoperable vehicles. As an added bonus, Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise means you won’t pay more than their initial quote.

Sherpa Auto Transport cost

The average cost to ship a car with Sherpa is about $910, but this can vary based on typical factors, such as type of car, the season of shipment and route taken. The pricing Sherpa offers is based on real-time data. An initial deposit is required to have your vehicle shipped. If you decide to cancel before a carrier is assigned to you, you will only have to pay a $25 dispatch fee; however, if you cancel after a carrier is assigned to you, Sherpa will keep your deposit.

One of Sherpa’s best features is the Price Lock Promise, which means Sherpa will stick to the price they originally quote you. This was born out of the desire among consumers and individuals in the auto transport industry for a more straightforward, clear and honest quote process. Some reviews mention that Sherpa doesn’t necessarily offer the lowest quotes. However, there are several things you can do to mitigate price, such as planning your auto transport well in advance.

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping options

Sherpa offers both local and long-distance transport and is able to ship a wide array of vehicles, including sedans, vans, SUVs and classic cars. Inoperable cars are also accepted. Several discounts are available for snowbird routes, seniors, multi-car transports, repeat customers, students and members of the military. Open and enclosed transport are both options.

Door-to-door shipping is the most commonly offered type of transport with Sherpa, as it tends to be the most convenient option for consumers. Sherpa’s Clean Car Guarantee lets customers make sure their car is sparkling clean, even after a long cross-country trip. After their vehicle has been dropped off, customers can take their car to a car wash, and Sherpa will reimburse them up to $20.

• Local and long-distance transport
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Inoperable and operable cars shipped
  • Discounts available
  • Open and enclosed transport
  • Clean Car Guarantee

Sherpa Auto Transport shipping process

Call Sherpa customer service or fill out an online form to receive a free quote backed by Sherpa’s Price Lock Promise. Sherpa will also give a 2-4 hour pickup window.

Once the vehicle has been picked up, you can call customer service at any time to see the vehicle’s location and estimated time of arrival. Depending on the length of the route and the centrality or remoteness of the pickup and dropoff locations, it can take a day or two all the way up to a few weeks for the vehicle to be delivered. Once the car has been dropped off and checked for damages, make sure to take advantage of the Clean Car Guarantee to make sure your car looks like new.

Do we recommend Sherpa Auto Transport?

We recommend Sherpa for their transparent pricing, highly reviewed customer service and other benefits like the Clean Car Guarantee and variety of discounts. Sherpa’s commitment to clear communication and straightforward pricing has made a difference in the industry, and for this reason, we think they are a good choice for auto transports.

Sherpa Auto Transport Q&A

Is Sherpa a broker or a carrier?
Sherpa is an auto transport broker, which means they work with a preferred network of transport companies to ensure your vehicle or fleet is shipped safely and efficiently to its destination.
Does Sherpa focus on local or long-distance auto transport?
Sherpa customizes the type of transport to whatever their clients need. Whether you need your vehicle shipped across the country or down the street, they’ll take care of the details.
Does Sherpa transport classic or antique vehicles?
Definitely! Sherpa works with enclosed transport trucks that can safely move your luxury or rare vehicle.
What problem is Sherpa trying to solve?
Auto transport is a complex industry, and it can be hard for people to find a reliable company. They’re dedicated to providing their customers with a hassle-free process at an affordable rate with no bait-and-switch pricing backed by our Price Lock Promise, while guiding them with clear communication every step of the way.
What sets Sherpa company apart from the competition?
Their Price Lock Promise is unheard of in this industry. Too often they hear from customers that they have been told by other companies their vehicle can be shipped at an unrealistically low price - only to discover their vehicle was never picked up or they were asked again and again to increase their price. At Sherpa, they do things differently. With their Price Lock Promise they’ll provide you with one quote and stick to it. The amount that quote you is the amount you’ll pay. It’s that simple.
What needs does Sherpa’s products or services fulfill, and how do they fulfill those needs better than their competition?
Whether it’s moving a family car cross-country or making sure your classic car arrives at the show unscathed, Sherpa will get the job done in a timely and affordable manner. Communication is their priority. Sherpa always want their customers to feel informed every step of the way. By updating you frequently throughout the process you can rest assured that your vehicle is in good hands. They’re also committed to finding solutions to potential challenges their customers may face. Examples of this include our Price Lock Promise and their Clean Car Guarantee which enables customers to get their car washed after delivery with us footing the bill.
How does Sherpa think the industry will change in the next 2-5 years?
Sherpa is excited to see how technology will evolve to play a more pivotal part in how customers, brokers and carriers work together to do business.
How does Sherpa measure success?
Sherpa measures success one satisfied customer at a time. To them, this means no matter how big their company gets or what the numbers look like, if their customers aren’t satisfied at the end of the day, they haven’t succeeded. Sherpa will go the extra mile to make sure they exceed your expectations.

Sherpa Auto Transport Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sherpa Auto Transport?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

A couple years ago, my wife and I started living in two locations on two coasts. So, we split our time since we're both retired both in Massachusetts and California. So, we had access to a car while we were here in California. Over the first few years, that car died after a long life. To give us greater flexibility, we decided to ship one of our two cars from Massachusetts to California for our flexibility here.

All three estimates that I got were reasonably close to each other. I kicked the highest one out. I viewed this as transactions as long as they were rated reasonably well by previous users of the services. So, it narrowed down to Sherpa. At the end of the day, it turned out really silly. But it was the free car wash at the end. Both companies came out and they each added one service at the end of the kicker to try and win us over. Sherpa was a free carwash, the other one was a free car rental if they didn't deliver the car when they said they would by a certain date. I was less concerned about that because I can live a day or two without the car where I'm at. I have access to a couple others. So, I said, “You know what? I’ll get the free car wash. Make my car look new when we drive it here.” It's a silly reason, but it is what it is.

Sherpa's reps know what they're doing. I found that to be the case of both companies I talked to. The gentlemen for Sherpa was very quick to get a quote back, and I really appreciated that. I suspect it's done very simply on calculators on their systems but at the same, I got a reply within an hour almost of each time I asked for a quote. There was about a four month gap when I first got quotes. Then we got serious and pulled the trigger to do it, but I wanted to make sure quotes were still valid. So, I did it again, and each time they came back very quickly. When I said go, within an hour they came back and said, “Okay, you're all set. Thank you very much. The driver will be in touch with you.”

They introduced me to the driver via email and that driver then took it over from Massachusetts. I never heard from Sherpa again, but it didn't bother me. I was fine. The driver got in touch with us. Sherpa did notify us they were going to deliver the car when they did. I said that my wife was going to be in California. I was in Massachusetts, but she would receive it on the west coast. They made that happen. It was great. Using Sherpa was painless and effective, and they're reasonably priced, courteous and did what they said they’d do.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

When I went on to a lot of different lists or articles that were written, the name Sherpa kept coming up as they were on a list of the most reliable and the most professional. That was a name that repeatedly came up in my search as a credible company. Then when I went in and read the customer reviews, people seemed happy with them. Their customer service was great. The guy I first spoke to gave me a lot of details. He was very professional. I told him that my son's car was being worked on and I couldn't really commit at that point because I didn't know when the car would be ready. It was maybe on Thursday, and I said they'd definitely have it over the weekend. He said, “How about I follow up with you on Monday at four o'clock?”

Monday, at four o'clock, the phone rang. He followed up with me. Again, I said the car was not ready yet. He said, “How about I call you tomorrow?” They kept calling but they weren't calling in an annoying, “We want your business." If they said four o'clock, they called at four o'clock. Their people were very professional. I never felt pressured. I always got information about, “Your car, either do you want it inside or do you want it outside? And this is what the costs are.” They did say the costs were variable day by day, so the price that he quoted me originally was more than the price I ended up paying.

I had nothing but a good experience with Sherpa. I spoke to them the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, thinking that it might take a while to get my car because of the holiday weekend, and the car showed up on Saturday. My son was driving home from college and he had car trouble and we ended up flying him home because Thanksgiving was coming and the car was gonna take 10 days to fix by the time they got the part. My son's car was packed with all his stuff he was bringing home from college, and when the car got here, all his stuff was in there. It showed up exactly when they said it was. The driver texted me Saturday morning and he said, “I'd like to introduce myself, This is my name. I will be at your home with your car 12:00.” He was there a 12:00. Sherpa even says if you send them a receipt that you got your car washed, they will reimburse you for the cost of the carwash, which we didn't end up doing just for our own reasons.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I had used Sherpa before. They were not the least expensive but they were reliable which is more important. I had a very bad experience many years ago and reliability is my most important criterion. United was the transport company at that time and they had driven my car. They delivered my car with not even enough gas to get to a gas station. It had 500 extra miles on it before, which was a lot of mileage. United offered me 31 cents a mile for the usage.

The problem is there are no laws that govern this industry. Once you hand your car over, the company can literally do whatever they want with it. I paid a lot of money to have my car transported from California to DC. I tried to take United to court. I took the case as far as I could take it. After the attorneys told me there was nothing to do, I even took it to one of those over the radio shows. Once United said they offered me 31 cents a mile, everything was apparently taken care of. That was legal. All they have to do is offer you what the IRS considers the cost of usage.

I used Sherpa's services again this time and everything went well. DC did not allow them to enter the city with their trucks so they really worked with me in finding a place where I could make the exchange and that was convenient for me. Their people were very nice. They insisted on making sure that I wrote the mileage down. Even though I knew that didn't really matter, at least they were very diligent.

Sherpa was super because I had an event where I wasn't able to meet them. My wallet had been stolen and I had to leave before my date. I left my car at the hotel with the keys at the desk with instructions and got on a plane. A guy came to pick up the car. He filled out all the forms and took the keys from the front desk. The guy then called me to say he got my car and that he would see me in a week, which he did.

With Sherpa, there is a level of security. I didn't even have to be there for the transition. That's the security you're looking for because there's no consumer protection legally in this industry. You need to have somebody who really intends and takes good care of you. I needed that at that time. Sherpa did a wonderful job. Sherpa delivered my car on time and didn't charge me extra. A friend of mine had an experience where the transport company said the charge initially made was not enough and they were not giving the car to my friend until another $350 was paid.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I did an internet search and looked at Sherpa and some other transport companies. I saw some pretty good reviews and I also read the different policies of how the companies work. When I called Sherpa first, I was very impressed with the young man that I spoke to. He explained everything very well. Other competitors weren't as good at explaining everything. I know that they put out bids and contract with independent contractors and I happen to use this GG Line LLC. They gave windows on what day the car would be picked up and what day it would be delivered. The window for pickup was either Thursday, October 1st, or Friday, October 2nd and it was actually picked up about 9:30 AM on October 1st, the first day, Thursday. Then they gave me the window for delivery of being either Tuesday through Friday of the following week.

When the driver picked it up on that Thursday, I asked him when the car would arrive in Illinois, and he said Monday. That wasn't a problem for me because the car was being delivered to my girlfriend's condo. But then I got a call on Sunday morning from the driver that he was getting ready to deliver the car. They were in Illinois. He called my girlfriend also 'cause he had her number 'cause I told him that she would pick up the car.

There was no problem because my girlfriend was there. But let's say I was doing this by myself and I had gone by the windows. I would just think that since it will come on either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, I'll get there on Monday, and I'll be there on time. I would have missed the pickup because he said he actually got it there on Sunday. That was a big miss on the window by two days. There should be a little more clarity on the actual window. But it was nice that it was very efficient and it came quickly. My girlfriend accepted the car and gave the driver the check.

The driver was interesting. When he called me, he had a Chicago area code, and he was very nice. When he picked up the car, I could tell that from his accent that he was probably a Polish immigrant. There's a lot of Polish immigrants in Chicago, and so I assumed the way it worked is this was his route from Los Angeles to Chicago, Chicago to Los Angeles hauling car. But he was certainly understandable. When he dropped off the car, he parked in a lot of a shopping center about two blocks away then he drove the car right to the condo location, where the car was dropped off in Westmont.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

We got a new vehicle for my wife, but we didn't trade in the old one. Instead, we gave the old one to my daughter. She lives in Washington. We live in Ohio. I dealt with three companies before deciding to use Sherpa. The first company that we contacted sent me an email saying their guy tried to call me. He didn't reach me, so he sent me an email. That created suspicion for me because I checked my phone and I didn't see any missed calls from that business. I talked to the guy, and he never really convinced me that I wasn't correct. But because I suspected he sent the email without having called, it led me to take them out of the list. That left Sherpa and the other company. I chose Sherpa based on reviews and price.

Sherpa's customer service was pretty much ideal. They answered all the questions I had. They kept every commitment they made. I would recommend them. It was a nervous type of transaction for me. I've never shipped a car before, and the internet has got plenty of nightmare-type examples. But if I had to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Sherpa.

My daughter inspected the car when it arrived. I sent her pictures, and there were pictures taken by the truck driver. She found no new damage. She went through it and verified that the spare tire and the tools for changing it and everything else were all there. So, near as I can tell, it arrived in the same condition in which it left. It might have been a little dirtier, but that's to be expected after traveling most of the way across the country.

Sherpa did one other positive thing that I thought was pretty neat. After the vehicle left, they sent me a follow-up email to remind me that they offered a clean car guarantee. They do that by allowing you to go to a carwash and getting a receipt, and sending them the receipt. At which point, they would reimburse me for the cost of the carwash. That was something that potentially was going to cost them money. But it was part of their advertising. They volunteered that that was still there and that I could take advantage of that if I wished. I passed that along to my daughter. I'm guessing she didn't, but it was nice of them to restate that part of their advertising and to remind me that that was available.

Original review: April 11, 2021

Highly recommended! Excellent service and communication from start to finish. After an initial disaster and cancellation with another company, I found Sherpa on the BBB website and from pickup to delivery everything went perfectly. Highly recommended!

Original review: April 10, 2021

They made the whole process simple. The driver stayed in communication and picked up on time. Delivery across country was 4 days. Driver was courteous and prompt, again staying in touch regarding delivery time. The 100.00 rebate even arrived in about 2 weeks, and Sherpa even gave a free car wash up to 20 when sending in receipt w/ Bill of lading. I've shipped cars many times and this was by far the best transaction. Thank you!

Original review: April 6, 2021

Picked Sherpa because the quote was guaranteed. Sales representatives sounded knowledgeable and believable. Actual auto pickup and delivery went as described. Picked up and delivered on schedule and no problems or wear and tear to car.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Everyone we dealt with from or representing Sherpa were great! From getting a quote to receiving the car (much earlier than expected) we experienced good communication and professionalism. Considering the time and hassle saved, this was a painless solution to our problem and we would definitely recommend it!

Original review: April 6, 2021

I arranged for shipping my daughter's vehicle from Florida to California. When I called Sherpa's 800 number the process was fully explained, which was important to me as it was the first time I ever shipped a car. The car was picked up a day or two outside of the originally scheduled window but that was OK with me -- Sherpa kept me constantly informed of the situation. The driver of the transport was very professional and took great care in loading the vehicle. The car actually arrived across the country ahead of the promised window, so the end-to-end process was timely.

Also, I was able to use a credit card for payment for a $100 charge, which Sherpa promised to rebate back to me within 30 days of completion of the shipment and by mailing in a copy of the bill of lading. I received my rebate card today, about two weeks after mailing in the paperwork, so it was a promise kept on a timely basis. I would definitely call Sherpa again should the need to ship a vehicle arise.

Sherpa Auto Transport Company Information