American Auto Shipping Reviews

About American Auto Shipping

American Auto Shipping is an auto transport broker that can help with numerous services, including open and enclosed transport, local and long-distance shipping and door-to-door and terminal-to-terminal delivery. It can also arrange for expedited shipping if you need to pick up your car within 24 hours.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Instant online quotes available
    • Offers priority and expedited shipping
    • Local and long-distance moves
    • Final quotes are binding
    Cons
    • No international service

What is American Auto Shipping?

American Auto Shipping is a transport broker that hires out trusted carriers within its network to complete your delivery. It arranges for auto transport services to all 50 states and all U.S. territories. It also works with almost any consumer vehicle, regardless of its size, condition or weight. American Auto Shipping has been in business since 1999, and it claims to have shipped 137,000 vehicles at the time of publishing.

The company’s price quotes are binding, and it doesn’t require a deposit. If the auto transport carrier damages your car and the incident isn’t covered under the carrier’s insurance, American Auto Shipping provides up to $500 to repair your car.

Another perk American Auto Shipping provides is a free rental car on the off chance your delivery is excessively delayed (over 14 days past the delivery date). You also get a $20 reimbursement for a car wash when you ship your car through the company. It mails a check to you within five days after you submit your car wash receipt.

How does American Auto Shipping work?

Shipping your car with American Auto Shipping is a simple process. You start by getting your instant quote online or calling the company directly. You can then place your order online or with the car shipping specialist you spoke to.

From there, the company reserves a spot for your vehicle on a car carrier and sends you all the relevant information. Finally, the selected carrier moves your car and calls you four to 24 hours ahead of the delivery day to make sure you’re available.

You can choose between various shipping services, depending on how fast you need your car shipped:

• Standard service: The company’s most affordable option is designed to pick up your vehicle within one to five weekdays and features a 93% success rate over the last 30 days.
    • Priority shipping: Its next step up costs $200 more but is designed to get you a pickup in one to two weekdays, with the same 93% success rate over the last 30 days.
    • Expedited shipping: American Auto Shipping’s fastest level of service should get your car picked up within 24 hours and has a 93% success rate over the last 30 days. However, it only works on weekdays and costs $500 more than standard service.

Keep in mind that auto transport carriers only have a license to move vehicles and not household goods, so you aren’t allowed to move boxes of personal belongings in the car.

Moreover, carrier drivers must stop at weigh stations along their route. If the carrier is overweight, the driver could leave your belongings on the side of the road — in addition to passing the related fines on to you. Household goods also aren’t insured by carriers, meaning there’s no reimbursement if they’re damaged or lost.

American Auto Shipping costs

American Auto Shipping’s prices depend on your vehicle, your shipping distance and your transport preferences, in addition to the time of year and fuel rates. For example, shipping in the summer can cost $200 to $300 more than in the winter. While the company doesn’t list its rates, you can use its online instant quote feature to receive a personalized price.

Compare your quote to national averages to find out whether you’re getting a good deal. The average rate for transporting a car 1,000 miles or more is 60 cents per mile. For trips under $500 miles, the average cost is about $1 per mile.

American Auto Shipping FAQ

What types of vehicles does American Auto Shipping ship?

The company says it ships vehicles of any size, regardless of weight or condition. That means you can ship ATVs, boats, RVs and antique vehicles, plus more common vehicles like cars, trucks and SUVs.

Does American Auto Shipping have insurance?

American Auto Shipping only works with carriers insured for $750,000.

Will American Auto Shipping transport a nonworking car?

Yes. The company transports vehicles regardless of condition.

Will American Auto Shipping allow me to pack items in my car?

No. Most auto transport carriers are licensed only for vehicle transportation.

Does American Auto Shipping ship internationally?

No. American Auto Ship only transports within the United States and its territories.

Is American Auto Shipping legit?

American Auto Shipping is a legitimate company offering local and long-distance moves across all 50 states and beyond. Its instant online quotes and expedited shipping options are convenient, so it’s a good choice if you need to transport your car as soon as possible. Just know that, because it’s only a moving broker, it isn’t the one that actually carries out the relocation of your vehicle. That said, the company has been in business for over 20 years and has moved more than 130,000 vehicles.

American Auto Shipping Reviews

Stars Rating

• 72%
    • 6%
    • 2%
    • 0%
    • 20%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shipping?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shipping?
      Customer ServiceStaffDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed June 2, 2024

I called American Auto Shipping because I had read good reviews and heard they were reliable but their customer service is absolutely atrocious. I ended up not booking with them because of how extremely rude and condescending the customer service rep was to me. Then when I made other arrangements they repeatedly harassed me via text and email to book with them even after I asked them to take me off of their list and that I had made other arrangements. Just absolutely floored by how terrible the customer service was.

Reviewed March 7, 2024

Non Payment Owe Transport Companies a lot of Money. Most like closing shop., going bankrupt. Missing my payment. Bond Canceled. 45 + Active Claims. Central Dispatch Notified. Investigation is underway. Shady Fraudulent Practice.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed Jan. 13, 2024

This company will make you pay upfront. They will say they will ship the care in a specific time frame (i.e. 1-5 days). However, when they do not ship the car in time and you try to cancel, they will not process a full refund. Recommend using one of the many other companies that make you pay upon delivery to avoid this scam.

Reviewed Dec. 6, 2023

Absolutely no longer recommend them. This was my second time using them within a year. Things seemed fine until something went wrong. And how a company responds when things go wrong is actually the true test of their how good they really are. With the second delivery, there was damage to my car. They unfortunately were of no help and I just got the runaround. They will just defer you to the carrier and tell you there's nothing they can do. Their $500 promo to cover you if there is damage not covered by the carrier is useless. Why would you go through your insurance and risk increasing your premiums when the carrier is supposed to have insurance and is responsible for the damage?! Highly disappointed with them and obviously would never use them again or recommend them to anyone else.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2023

I scheduled my car to be shipped via this company since it had the lowest rate and had the option of paying partial down and then the rest upon car delivery. I needed to transport my car from Washington to Texas for relocation. I booked it a week in advance to give them ample time to find drivers or whatever it is they need to work on. No communication at all whatsoever unless you call them, which no one will even pickup unless you call 3 or 4 times consecutively. I need my car to be picked up no later than Saturday afternoon and it’s Wednesday and still no communication at all.

I call the company, after attempting a few calls finally someone answers, he claims that there are quite a few interested drivers however they’re all “unqualified” so they’re still looking for drivers. And promised me that there’s still a very good chance my car can be picked up on Saturday. I was not aware that the standard service does not guarantee same day pickup. And they recommended me the express option, which only guarantees same day pickup Mon-Fri.

So it’s now Thursday and I called again, this time they’re telling me that they found a few qualified drivers but are now undergoing the paperwork and background process, which only takes 1-2 hours. I asked the rep if I will most likely hear something today then. He said yes. It’s been almost 4 hours I call again, and this time they’re saying the driver started the application process however they’re waiting in the driver insurance. Until the driver turns it in they cannot schedule a pickup. What a whole bunch of crap! They just keep dragging it out but in reality I DOUBT they even have a driver. If by Saturday I still don’t get a driver I’m asking for my refund.

Punctuality & SpeedStaffDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed March 30, 2023

Everything was good with American Auto. The pickup and delivery were on time and there were no issues. It was perfect. The driver was polite and notified us when the vehicle got picked up and all the way to when I took possession of my car. The transport took about six days. He hit an ice storm through Oklahoma but it was fine. It was part of the weather so I couldn't control that.

Pinned

Call Kirshawna - Thanks so much, Norberto! It's great to hear that your shipment was perfect, your driver was polite, and everything was quick and easy. Thanks for choosing American Auto Shipping and we hope we hear from you again!

Reviewed March 29, 2023

The drivers didn't speak any English, so that was hard. It was weird. But I enjoy the service. American Auto Shipping is thorough. I would use them again in the near future.

Pinned

Call Andrew - Thank you for your feedback! Fortunately, drivers do not need to speak English to drive trucks, and we are glad everything went well and we hope we hear from you again!

Customer ServicePriceDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed March 21, 2023

American Auto Shipping's quote was accurate and reasonable. They got the shipping done on the timeframe. The only problem I had was communication. The guys weren't very fluent in English. Other than that, I was told when they were gonna show up. They showed up. They picked the car up and they came over to my house and dropped it off.

Pinned

Call Andrew - Thanks, William! It's great to hear that your shipment moved on time. Thankfully, drivers do not have to know much English in order to drive a truck, and we are glad to hear that everything went well with your shipment.

Reviewed March 21, 2023

Once I accepted the quote, they reached out to me to get the shipping arrangements made and get the details of the truck that I was shipping. They guaranteed the ship within a week but it shipped the next day. The pick-up was in Florida and the drop-off was in Illinois and it only took a couple of days. I’d recommend American Auto Shipping.

Pinned

Call Rachel - Thank you so much for you review and recommendation! We're glad your shipment went well and that it was fast and easy, and we hope we hear from you again!

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed March 21, 2023

I worked with someone named Andrew at American Auto Shipping. I originally booked with a different company and had pretty bad service there. I got a little bit nervous about shipping my car, so I reached out to American Auto. They were super fast, gave me a lower rate than the other place, and my car came back in perfect condition. They communicated on the phone and via text, which was helpful. They also had email communication. But the quote they gave me changed a little bit because I had a couple of boxes and I didn't know that having my car filled with anything was going to cost extra. So, it ended up costing a few 100 extra. Other than that, I had a great experience and I've recommended someone to them a few days ago.

Pinned

Call Andrew - Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle, Cassidy! Your quote did not change, but rather, the carrier company had to charge extra for items in the vehicle, which is stated in our terms and conditions that they may charge for items in the vehicle as they have strict weight restrictions to abide by. Nonetheless we're glad everything went well with your shipment and we hope we hear from you again!

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Transport partner.

American Auto Shipping Company Information