2. Automotive
  3. Auto Transporters

4.8/5 (61 ratings)

About American Auto Shipping

American Auto Shipping is an auto transport broker that can help with numerous services, including open and enclosed transport, local and long-distance shipping and door-to-door and terminal-to-terminal delivery. It can also arrange for expedited shipping if you need to pick up your car within 24 hours.

Pros

• Instant online quotes available
  • Offers priority and expedited shipping
  • Local and long-distance moves
  • Final quotes are binding

Cons

• No international service

Bottom Line

American Auto Shipping’s online quotes and expedited deliveries can help you ship your car fast within the U.S. and its territories. Just make sure you understand its role as a broker before you sign up.

What is American Auto Shipping?

American Auto Shipping is a transport broker that hires out trusted carriers within its network to complete your delivery. It arranges for auto transport services to all 50 states and all U.S. territories. It also works with almost any consumer vehicle, regardless of its size, condition or weight. American Auto Shipping has been in business since 1999, and it claims to have shipped 137,000 vehicles at the time of publishing.

The company’s price quotes are binding, and it doesn’t require a deposit. If the auto transport carrier damages your car and the incident isn’t covered under the carrier’s insurance, American Auto Shipping provides up to $500 to repair your car.

Another perk American Auto Shipping provides is a free rental car on the off chance your delivery is excessively delayed (over 14 days past the delivery date). You also get a $20 reimbursement for a car wash when you ship your car through the company. It mails a check to you within five days after you submit your car wash receipt.

How does American Auto Shipping work?

Shipping your car with American Auto Shipping is a simple process. You start by getting your instant quote online or calling the company directly. You can then place your order online or with the car shipping specialist you spoke to.

From there, the company reserves a spot for your vehicle on a car carrier and sends you all the relevant information. Finally, the selected carrier moves your car and calls you four to 24 hours ahead of the delivery day to make sure you’re available.

You can choose between various shipping services, depending on how fast you need your car shipped:

• Standard service: The company’s most affordable option is designed to pick up your vehicle within one to five weekdays and features an 82% success rate.
  • Priority shipping: Its next step up costs $200 more but is designed to get you a pickup in one to two weekdays, with the same 82% success rate.
  • Expedited shipping: American Auto Shipping’s fastest level of service should get your car picked up within 24 hours and has a 90% success rate. However, it only works on weekdays and costs $500 more than standard service.

Keep in mind that auto transport carriers only have a license to move vehicles and not household goods, so you aren’t allowed to move boxes of personal belongings in the car.

Moreover, carrier drivers must stop at weigh stations along their route. If the carrier is overweight, the driver could leave your belongings on the side of the road — in addition to passing the related fines on to you. Household goods also aren’t insured by carriers, meaning there’s no reimbursement if they’re damaged or lost.

American Auto Shipping costs

American Auto Shipping’s prices depend on your vehicle, your shipping distance and your transport preferences, in addition to the time of year and fuel rates. For example, shipping in the summer can cost $200 to $300 more than in the winter. While the company doesn’t list its rates, you can use its online instant quote feature to receive a personalized price.

Compare your quote to national averages to find out whether you’re getting a good deal. The average rate for transporting a car 1,000 miles or more is 60 cents per mile. For trips under $500 miles, the average cost is about $1 per mile.

American Auto Shipping FAQ

What types of vehicles does American Auto Shipping ship?
The company says it ships vehicles of any size, regardless of weight or condition. That means you can ship ATVs, boats, RVs and antique vehicles, plus more common vehicles like cars, trucks and SUVs.
Does American Auto Shipping have insurance?
American Auto Shipping only works with carriers insured for $750,000.
Will American Auto Shipping transport a nonworking car?
Yes. The company transports vehicles regardless of condition.
Will American Auto Shipping allow me to pack items in my car?
No. Most auto transport carriers are licensed only for vehicle transportation.
Does American Auto Shipping ship internationally?
No. American Auto Ship only transports within the United States and its territories.

Is American Auto Shipping legit?

American Auto Shipping is a legitimate company offering local and long-distance moves across all 50 states and beyond. Its instant online quotes and expedited shipping options are convenient, so it’s a good choice if you need to transport your car as soon as possible. Just know that, because it’s only a moving broker, it isn’t the one that actually carries out the relocation of your vehicle. That said, the company has been in business for over 20 years and has moved more than 130,000 vehicles.

American Auto Shipping Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shipping?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shipping?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I had never shipped a car before, and after nearly a month of researching companies with some really scary reviews or prices changing and bad deliveries, seeking quotes, and even getting attitude from other companies, I am SO thankful I found American Auto Shipping. Of all the places I contacted, they were the only ones to give me a final price the day I asked for a quote. At that point that was enough for me to go with them. I requested a quote on 9/22/21, accepted the quote 9/23/21, and they found a driver and my car was picked up in Michigan on 9/27/21 and dropped off in perfect condition in North Carolina on 9/28/21. Everything went better than I could've imagined! I don't know for sure the next time I'll ever ship a vehicle, but I do know for sure who I will contact to ship it for me!

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you for the 5 star review Samuel. We make it easy and we are open 7 days a week. Please phone us for your final price too!

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

American Auto gave me a good quote. It was 100% accurate and very competitive. But it was hard to get ahold of them directly. There were some telephone numbers online but it wouldn't work. But once I finally got ahold of the person who set everything up, it was quite helpful. The shipping was remarkably quick. I used them for two different shipments. One of them was three days from Seattle to Arkansas, and the other one was about five days. In both cases, they contacted me within 24 hours of them arriving, told me when they were going to be here. It was very quick and painless. They were in and out without any hassle. The vehicle was delivered with no issues or scratches. It was great.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Jasmine - Thanks for your review, John! We're glad to hear that everything went well and we're glad to hear it was great!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I made the reservation, most of it, online. I did have a couple of questions, tried calling American Auto Shipping, and left a voicemail. I don't think they ever called me back which I wasn't happy about but when I didn't hear back from them in 24 hours, I sent an email. The email got answered within 24 hours. The quote was right on. Compared to other services, it was kind of in the middle.

The delivery was to another state. They picked the car up in California and that was great. The gentleman that was driving the truck was very polite and knowledgeable. We watched him load it, and he was joking around with us. We had a good time. On the other end, everything was perfect. I had my granddaughter find a location that would be easy for the driver to get to and he met her there. While he was delivering the car, she FaceTimed us and showed us the car. Everything was fine and we could hear the driver in the background. He said, “Hi, grandma,” because he remembered that we were the grandparents, and was cordial to my wife. I would call him up again if I needed to ship a car.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Jasmine - We're glad to hear that everything went well, Douglas! Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to hearing from you again should you have more vehicles to ship!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

American Auto Shipping answered the phone and told me what the price was going to be. The price was fair. I thought it was gonna be $1 a mile but it ended up being cheaper than that. I talked to the driver two or three days before he was ready. They said 82% of the time they got done within five days. The driver had some truck problems and this was the sixth day when he called and said he would pick up on the seventh which turned into the eighth. But he was a nice guy, got there when he was supposed to, loaded it up, and took five days to get from Idaho to Houston. I picked a service that I wasn't worried about how long it's going to take to get here. The vehicle got here, unloaded fine, and there was no damage. Everything was the way it was supposed to be.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Kirshawna - Thanks so much, Cody! We apologize for any difficulties with the carrier but we're glad to hear that everything went well once your vehicle was picked up and we hope to hear from you again in the future!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I found three transport companies that seemed to have high ratings. I called each and talked with them, and what American Auto Shipping does is by far the best. I liked everything I heard. There were no mysteries to it. The reps were top-notch. I was happier with them and the amount of info they were able to give me compared to the other options. I asked them about what kind of coverage to expect, what the cost would be and what the options were for transport (covered versus uncovered). They were straightforward and easy to understand, and I liked the person I talked with. They laid out the relationship they have with their drivers, who they work with and why. That all made sense too.

During the delivery, I got a text message that they were getting close. I even got a phone call from the driver. A pleasant surprise was that he got there before he said he was able to. I’m staying in a condo so he wasn't able to get right into the place to drop it off. We picked a spot close by where he would park and we would do the pickup. I walked 500 feet from my condo, he backed the car out of the truck and we did the handoff. Everything looks great. I walked around it, took photos, and so did the delivery driver. I would totally go with American Auto Shipping again. I feel very good about the money I spent. It cost exactly what they quoted and I got what I expected.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Jasmine - Thanks so much, John! We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to hear that everything went well with your shipment. We hope to hear from you again should you have more vehicles to ship!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

The entire process was excellent. Our Driver was very professional and on time. He explained the entire process and delivered the car perfectly across country on time. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Mark for the 5 star review. We know the good trucks and they know us!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Great services. Always answered when I called. Updates were very prompt. Driver communicated well. Cheaper rates than most of the other companies I got quotes for. The expedited pick up time really helped greatly with the move.

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Andre for the 5 star review. We can provide fast pickup for those who need it!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

This was the very first time I ever shipped a car. Jasmine helped me and made sure it was a positive and seamless experience. I will always use your company as I was so thrilled and delighted with Jasmine and her attention to detail. I am a very happy customer because of Jasmine… Sincerely, Gay **.

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Gay for the 5 star review! Call Jasmine now for 5 star service!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

This company made shipping our car so easy! The guys who took our contract were so incredibly nice and very professional. They took a detailed report of the car before and after delivery, and we got a phone call making sure everything was in order after the delivery as well. The price seemed very reasonable as well, highly recommend this company!

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Taylor for the 5 star review! We are glad you were pleased with our service!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

American Auto Shipping had the best price I could find and were easy to work with. They had a truck assigned with in a couple days and we had no problems with the pickup or delivery. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for cross country delivery of a vehicle.

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Jesse! We have specialized in classic cars for 22 years now!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I had a car transported from Florida to Michigan. It's always nice to talk to a person rather than leave a message. The booking process was easy, I was notified with the progress of the car and they did it in a timely, efficient manner. Highly recommend!

American Auto Shipping response

Call Rachel - Thank you very much, Kathleen! We're glad to hear that everything went well and was easy and we appreciate your recommendation!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

Very efficient and professional. Telephone contacts were professional and pleasant. Process was as promised. Costs were fair and as advertised. Kirshawna was particularly outstanding, concerned and a true representative of the overall great quality of my experience. Thank you.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Kirshawna - Thanks, William! We're glad to hear everything went well and thank you so much for your kind review!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I hired American Auto Shipping to transport an older vehicle that I had purchased online, sight unseen. The car had to be picked up in California, and delivered to North Carolina. I had spoken to other transport companies, but AAS was the only one that gave me a firm price on the cost, and told me that it would not change. They also quoted a timely delivery and communicated every step of the way. The car actually arrived ahead of schedule, and the driver was very courteous. The entire process was very seamless, and I would definitely recommend this company, 5 stars!

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Chester for the 5 star review! Call us to get your final binding quote today!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Lex was awesome, kept in contact by telephone letting me know when he would pickup my mustang, when he arrived Lex was very careful loading my car. Lex told me when it would be delivered. Lex delivered my 65 Ford Mustang in the exact condition he picked it up in. I would recommend Lex for delivery of anyone's car!

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Pascal for the 5 star review. Contact us 7 days a week so we can schedule your driver too!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I worked with Anthony for the shipment and it was a great experience starting from getting the quote to getting my vehicle. He helped me explain the process. Was professional. And also answered all my questions. Driver was very friendly and accommodating with timing of pick up and delivery. I highly recommend their services.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Anthony - Thanks so much, Fnu! It was our pleasure to help you ship your vehicle and we hope to hear from you again, and thank you very much for your recommendation!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

The stress of moving is already stressful enough and when I found American Auto Shipping and spoke to Rachel, she put my anxiety to ease. Rachel explained the process And timeline on everything. She made it so simple and hassle free. AAS also has the best rates!! Flat fee and gives you a free car wash! My vehicle arrived safe and sound. Thank you!!

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you May for the 5 star review. We do have the best rates and they come from binding price quotes!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Car was picked up and delivered in the promised time frame. The driver was in contact about pick up and delivery. The driver was exceptionally helpful and nice. The whole process was a good experience.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Rachel - Thanks, JoAnne! We're glad to hear that everything went well and that the process was smooth. We hope to hear from you again should you have more vehicles to ship in the future!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

The auto transport business is unpredictable but Rachel will take great care of you from start to finish. Within the first day she called me back to set up pick-up time and in less than 1 week the car was delivered to South Florida 1300 miles away. Thanks again Rachel.

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Stefan. Rachel really knows how to take care of our customers.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Everyone I dealt with was very friendly and helpful. I price shopped around and found that American Auto Shipping was the cheapest. My car was delivered in less time than I was expecting, as well, which was a pleasant surprise.

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you for the 5 star review. Our pricing tool almost always gives you the cheapest binding price to ship your vehicle!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

There was a little confusion once the contractor got involved, but the American Auto part of it was great. The driver called me and kept me updated and got here. He unloaded and I gave him a tip and bought dinner for him.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

It’s safe to say that the easiest part of our cross-country move was choosing American Auto Shipping. They were able to meet our schedule requirements and were very responsive with their customer service. They scheduled the pickup quickly, and delivered our two vehicles securely and at a competitive price. I would highly recommend American auto shipping to anyone.

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Tim for the recommendation. Moving is a stressful time. Give us a call, we can arrange your vehicle shipping in less than 5 minutes!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Rachel was professional and knowledgeable from the beginning. She made the process stress free and delivered on every commitment she made - exceptional service. The driver (Mike) was very prompt and friendly. He arrived for pickup exactly when he said he would and was proactive in his communication up until delivery. I will happily and without hesitation, recommend American Auto Shipping and Rachel. Thank you!!!

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Christopher for the 5 star review! We are open 7 days a week to assist folks in shipping their vehicles!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Hi, My car shipping process with American Auto Shipping was great. My car was dispatched the same day for pick up! Car was delivered in same condition and on time. Thanks Anthony for making this process seamless.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Jasmine - Thanks so much, Andrea! We're glad to hear that everything was fast and went well and we hope to hear from you again if you have any other vehicles to transport!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I'm very happy with the service I received compared to the other Auto Ship Transports I Inquired with. The Quote was exactly as they stated & in less than 5 days, my vehicle was scheduled. Service was wonderful. I contacted the driver & he kept me up to date on my shipping time/date. My vehicle also arrived a day earlier than estimated time. Wonderful service. Thank you.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Jasmine - We're glad to hear everything went well, Mai! Thanks for choosing American Auto Shipping and we hope to hear from you again should you have vehicles to transport in the future!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

From the beginning Jasmine was fantastic, quotes were spot on and timely. Delivery was faster than expected; all around great service & follow through. I would highly recommend & use American Auto Shipping for future needs.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Jasmine - Thank you so much, Ann! We're glad to hear everything went well with your shipment and we look forward to helping you ship more vehicles in the future if you need them!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Anthony has made this move as smooth as possible! His customer service is excellent and some of the best I’ve ever had the pleasure of speaking to, he is very friendly and personable! He handles his work with the utmost professionalism and makes sure that you are satisfied with the service you are receiving. I will definitely use this service in the future if needed and recommended to anyone that needs their car shipped.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Anthony - We're so glad to hear that, Mahad! Thank you so much for your kind review, we're so glad to hear that everything was superb and we thank you very much for the recommendation as well. We hope to hear from you again should you have other vehicles to ship in the future!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

From beginning at the initial phone call to delivery our experience was amazing. All questions answered and everyone made us feel at ease with the process. We will definitely use the service again. Job well done!

American Auto Shipping response

Call Kirshawna - Thank you so much, Claire! It truly was our pleasure to help you transport your vehicle. We're glad the process was easy and we hope to hear from you again!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Hi, overall, I experienced issues with this company. Initially, I was upset because I paid an extra $200 to get my car picked up earlier, but it ended up being a waste of $200. It was really the third party company that did an amazing job! The third party driver worked with me to get my car to my destination in ONE day! The third party company driver went over and beyond because this company (American Auto Shipping) did not dispatch him my car order/pickup; in other words, he had no idea that he was supposed to pick up my car. Even with that hiccup, though, he did an amazing job! American Auto Shipping? Yeaaaa, not soo much ...but they did connect me to the third party company, though, so I guess that counts. Overall, however, it was an okay experience; my car got to where it needed to go, and quickly.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

We found American Auto Shipping company online and they provided us with the most competitive quote. We booked their services right away and have been very pleased with their quality of their work. Terry, our delivery driver, was professional, timely, communicative and pleasant to deal with. He picked up and delivered our vehicle earlier than expected. No issues upon return. Very satisfied and will use American Auto Shipping again!

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Oxana! We are open 7 days a week to help anyone ship their vehicles!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Car was delivered fast and secure, I'm very happy, Rachel from American Auto Shipping was professional and follow up with the order and she made sure we had whatever she need. Truck driver was very clean and responsible.

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Miguel for the 5 start review. Rachel works Monday thru Friday in our Las Vegas office!

American Auto Shipping Company Information