4.9/5 (124 ratings)

About American Auto Shipping

American Auto Shipping is an auto transport broker that can help with numerous services, including open and enclosed transport, local and long-distance shipping and door-to-door and terminal-to-terminal delivery. It can also arrange for expedited shipping if you need to pick up your car within 24 hours.

Pros

• Instant online quotes available
  • Offers priority and expedited shipping
  • Local and long-distance moves
  • Final quotes are binding

Cons

• No international service

Bottom Line

American Auto Shipping’s online quotes and expedited deliveries can help you ship your car fast within the U.S. and its territories. Just make sure you understand its role as a broker before you sign up.

What is American Auto Shipping?

American Auto Shipping is a transport broker that hires out trusted carriers within its network to complete your delivery. It arranges for auto transport services to all 50 states and all U.S. territories. It also works with almost any consumer vehicle, regardless of its size, condition or weight. American Auto Shipping has been in business since 1999, and it claims to have shipped 137,000 vehicles at the time of publishing.

The company’s price quotes are binding, and it doesn’t require a deposit. If the auto transport carrier damages your car and the incident isn’t covered under the carrier’s insurance, American Auto Shipping provides up to $500 to repair your car.

Another perk American Auto Shipping provides is a free rental car on the off chance your delivery is excessively delayed (over 14 days past the delivery date). You also get a $20 reimbursement for a car wash when you ship your car through the company. It mails a check to you within five days after you submit your car wash receipt.

How does American Auto Shipping work?

Shipping your car with American Auto Shipping is a simple process. You start by getting your instant quote online or calling the company directly. You can then place your order online or with the car shipping specialist you spoke to.

From there, the company reserves a spot for your vehicle on a car carrier and sends you all the relevant information. Finally, the selected carrier moves your car and calls you four to 24 hours ahead of the delivery day to make sure you’re available.

You can choose between various shipping services, depending on how fast you need your car shipped:

• Standard service: The company’s most affordable option is designed to pick up your vehicle within one to five weekdays and features a 93% success rate over the last 30 days.
  • Priority shipping: Its next step up costs $200 more but is designed to get you a pickup in one to two weekdays, with the same 93% success rate over the last 30 days.
  • Expedited shipping: American Auto Shipping’s fastest level of service should get your car picked up within 24 hours and has a 93% success rate over the last 30 days. However, it only works on weekdays and costs $500 more than standard service.

Keep in mind that auto transport carriers only have a license to move vehicles and not household goods, so you aren’t allowed to move boxes of personal belongings in the car.

Moreover, carrier drivers must stop at weigh stations along their route. If the carrier is overweight, the driver could leave your belongings on the side of the road — in addition to passing the related fines on to you. Household goods also aren’t insured by carriers, meaning there’s no reimbursement if they’re damaged or lost.

American Auto Shipping costs

American Auto Shipping’s prices depend on your vehicle, your shipping distance and your transport preferences, in addition to the time of year and fuel rates. For example, shipping in the summer can cost $200 to $300 more than in the winter. While the company doesn’t list its rates, you can use its online instant quote feature to receive a personalized price.

Compare your quote to national averages to find out whether you’re getting a good deal. The average rate for transporting a car 1,000 miles or more is 60 cents per mile. For trips under $500 miles, the average cost is about $1 per mile.

American Auto Shipping FAQ

What types of vehicles does American Auto Shipping ship?
The company says it ships vehicles of any size, regardless of weight or condition. That means you can ship ATVs, boats, RVs and antique vehicles, plus more common vehicles like cars, trucks and SUVs.
Does American Auto Shipping have insurance?
American Auto Shipping only works with carriers insured for $750,000.
Will American Auto Shipping transport a nonworking car?
Yes. The company transports vehicles regardless of condition.
Will American Auto Shipping allow me to pack items in my car?
No. Most auto transport carriers are licensed only for vehicle transportation.
Does American Auto Shipping ship internationally?
No. American Auto Ship only transports within the United States and its territories.

Is American Auto Shipping legit?

American Auto Shipping is a legitimate company offering local and long-distance moves across all 50 states and beyond. Its instant online quotes and expedited shipping options are convenient, so it’s a good choice if you need to transport your car as soon as possible. Just know that, because it’s only a moving broker, it isn’t the one that actually carries out the relocation of your vehicle. That said, the company has been in business for over 20 years and has moved more than 130,000 vehicles.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shipping?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shipping?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I had a phenomenal experience! I called Thursday -9/15. They asked me when I want a pick up so I said 9/19. They explained the 5-day pick-up rule. It was picked up on Friday at 11:30 am in NY. Again I was notified that it would take 7 days for delivery at most. Although you did tell me about the 90% delivery rate, which I appreciated. I prefer to be informed.

AC01 was my transporter. Umed was the contact person. He was exceptionally professional. Handled my truck with care. And then two days later delivered it in perfect condition to my NV address. I was SHOCKED! I thought it had to be a mistake. Then Amanda called me to make sure everything went well. And I told her I would give you 1000 stars if I could. This was just an overall exceptional experience. Love the price guarantee And the free car wash! You are all fantastic and I would absolutely recommend you.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

This is the 2nd time that I have utilized the service of American Auto Shipping shipping separate vehicles from FL to CT and again in the opposite direction. Both times, I have had great customer service. It is obvious that they select their carriers carefully - I knew when the cars would be picked up, and delivered, with notifications about any delays. Both times, cars were delivered with zero damages. And they will reimburse you for a car wash once your vehicle arrives at designation. Since we travel back and forth from FL, and we have two vehicles, it is well worth the convenience to have a car shipped while we drive the other car to our destination. Due to this terrific experience with American Auto Shipping, they have now become part of our plan each time that we travel to and from our home in FL.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Amanda - Thank you so much for your review, Kenneth! We're so glad we've earned your business on multiple shipments and that we have continued to earn your trust moving forward. We certainly hope we hear from you again!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

I have never had to ship a vehicle across the country before, but my dispatcher made the whole process very easy. I purchased a vehicle out of state and needed to ship my trade-in to the dealer and retrieve the vehicle I purchased. Unfortunately the driver that was dispatched to get my vehicle was very difficult to get ahold of after picking up my vehicle, and I needed to give the dealer an ETA so they could ship the purchased vehicle. So timing was thrown off by the first driver, but the second driver brought the vehicle I purchased a day early. All said and done, I would say the experience for a first time shipper was a little unnerving, but after my first round of doing this, I better understand how the process works and would feel comfortable using this company again. Though they also had a difficult time getting in touch with the first driver, they did attempt to do so.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Jasmine - Thank you for your review, Ron. Unfortunately, some carriers can be difficult to reach as they drive hundreds of miles every day and aren't allowed to be on their phones while driving. However, we're glad to hear that everything went well and thank you very much for your recommendation!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I recently purchased a vehicle out of state from Texas and was looking for a shipping company to help deliver my dream car to California. I did a lot of research and ended up working with American Auto Shipping due to their reviews and competitive rates. The Team did not disappoint. It was my very first time performing such a purchase, so I was very on the fence about which company to use. American Shipping Company representatives were informative and helpful during the entire process and answered all of my questions so I felt confident that they could get the job done. They found me a great carrier who was very punctual and provided very timely updates. They were also easily reachable by text for updates. Ultimately, pickup and dropoff went without a hitch (seller and buyer/myself both agreed) and I was very satisfied with the services. I used an enclosed shipping method. I highly recommend American Auto Shipping.

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Alex for the vey thorough review. This is what our customers can expect with American Auto Shipping!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I had never shipped a car before, and after nearly a month of researching companies with some really scary reviews or prices changing and bad deliveries, seeking quotes, and even getting attitude from other companies, I am SO thankful I found American Auto Shipping. Of all the places I contacted, they were the only ones to give me a final price the day I asked for a quote. At that point that was enough for me to go with them. I requested a quote on 9/22/21, accepted the quote 9/23/21, and they found a driver and my car was picked up in Michigan on 9/27/21 and dropped off in perfect condition in North Carolina on 9/28/21. Everything went better than I could've imagined! I don't know for sure the next time I'll ever ship a vehicle, but I do know for sure who I will contact to ship it for me!

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you for the 5 star review Samuel. We make it easy and we are open 7 days a week. Please phone us for your final price too!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

American picked up our car in Los Angeles, safely transported it to Philadelphia, then held it until we arrived; and at the best price of anyone. Will use them again. Thanks. I will recommend them to anyone shipping a car across the country.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Amanda - Thanks so much for your kind review, Robert! It's great to hear that everything went well with your shipment and we look forward to helping you ship other vehicles in the future!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I bought a car out of state needed it to be shipped to Long Island NY. Amada did a great job with everything. Our car was picked up on time and delivered without a scratch. I will recommend her to our friends that have their cars shipped from NY to FL.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Amanda - Thank you, Ronald! It's great to hear that your shipment was on time and there were no issues with it. We appreciate your kind review and thank you very much for your recommendation as well!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Rachel was a voice with knowledge and assurance that I needed to hear when I needed a car moved from a neighboring state. She was responsive, answered questions as well, and calmed my uncertainty. From beginning to end the service was professional with great communication along the way! Thank you, Rachel!

American Auto Shipping response

Call Rachel - Thanks so much, Julie! We're glad to hear that everything went well with your shipment and we hope we hear from you again if you have another vehicle to transport at a later date!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I had my car shipped from Cleveland to Houston. The price was competitive. I chose this company because there were a lot of positive reviews. The transport went well with no problems. I would definitely recommend them. Our Driver was Brandy and he was really nice and professional.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Krista - Thank you for choosing American Auto Shipping, Cassidy! We're glad you chose us and we're very glad that your shipment went well. Thank you so much for your review and recommendation as well, we hope we hear from you again if you have more vehicles to transport in the future!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I can't stress enough how great the service and timing for my car transport turned out to be. It showed up on time, on budget and in great shape. Rachel answered all of my questions and made me feel comfortable about the process and the driver was equally accommodating and professional. Great job everyone.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Rachel - Thank you so much, Darryl! It's great to hear that everything with your shipment was on time and on budget. Thanks so much for your kind review and we hope we hear from you again in the future should you have more vehicles to transport.

American Auto Shipping Company Information