4.8/5 (47 ratings)

About American Auto Shipping

American Auto Shipping is an auto transport broker that can help with numerous services, including open and enclosed transport, local and long-distance shipping and door-to-door and terminal-to-terminal delivery. It can also arrange for expedited shipping if you need to pick up your car within 24 hours.

Pros

• Instant online quotes available
  • Offers priority and expedited shipping
  • Local and long-distance moves
  • Final quotes are binding

Cons

• No international service

Bottom Line

American Auto Shipping’s online quotes and expedited deliveries can help you ship your car fast within the U.S. and its territories. Just make sure you understand its role as a broker before you sign up.

What is American Auto Shipping?

American Auto Shipping is a transport broker that hires out trusted carriers within its network to complete your delivery. It arranges for auto transport services to all 50 states and all U.S. territories. It also works with almost any consumer vehicle, regardless of its size, condition or weight. American Auto Shipping has been in business since 1999, and it claims to have shipped 137,000 vehicles at the time of publishing.

The company’s price quotes are binding, and it doesn’t require a deposit. If the auto transport carrier damages your car and the incident isn’t covered under the carrier’s insurance, American Auto Shipping provides up to $500 to repair your car.

Another perk American Auto Shipping provides is a free rental car on the off chance your delivery is excessively delayed (over 14 days past the delivery date). You also get a $20 reimbursement for a car wash when you ship your car through the company. It mails a check to you within five days after you submit your car wash receipt.

How does American Auto Shipping work?

Shipping your car with American Auto Shipping is a simple process. You start by getting your instant quote online or calling the company directly. You can then place your order online or with the car shipping specialist you spoke to.

From there, the company reserves a spot for your vehicle on a car carrier and sends you all the relevant information. Finally, the selected carrier moves your car and calls you four to 24 hours ahead of the delivery day to make sure you’re available.

You can choose between various shipping services, depending on how fast you need your car shipped:

• Standard service: The company’s most affordable option is designed to pick up your vehicle within one to five weekdays and features a 93% success rate over the last 30 days.
  • Priority shipping: Its next step up costs $200 more but is designed to get you a pickup in one to two weekdays, with the same 93% success rate over the last 30 days.
  • Expedited shipping: American Auto Shipping’s fastest level of service should get your car picked up within 24 hours and has a 93% success rate over the last 30 days. However, it only works on weekdays and costs $500 more than standard service.

Keep in mind that auto transport carriers only have a license to move vehicles and not household goods, so you aren’t allowed to move boxes of personal belongings in the car.

Moreover, carrier drivers must stop at weigh stations along their route. If the carrier is overweight, the driver could leave your belongings on the side of the road — in addition to passing the related fines on to you. Household goods also aren’t insured by carriers, meaning there’s no reimbursement if they’re damaged or lost.

American Auto Shipping costs

American Auto Shipping’s prices depend on your vehicle, your shipping distance and your transport preferences, in addition to the time of year and fuel rates. For example, shipping in the summer can cost $200 to $300 more than in the winter. While the company doesn’t list its rates, you can use its online instant quote feature to receive a personalized price.

Compare your quote to national averages to find out whether you’re getting a good deal. The average rate for transporting a car 1,000 miles or more is 60 cents per mile. For trips under $500 miles, the average cost is about $1 per mile.

American Auto Shipping FAQ

What types of vehicles does American Auto Shipping ship?
The company says it ships vehicles of any size, regardless of weight or condition. That means you can ship ATVs, boats, RVs and antique vehicles, plus more common vehicles like cars, trucks and SUVs.
Does American Auto Shipping have insurance?
American Auto Shipping only works with carriers insured for $750,000.
Will American Auto Shipping transport a nonworking car?
Yes. The company transports vehicles regardless of condition.
Will American Auto Shipping allow me to pack items in my car?
No. Most auto transport carriers are licensed only for vehicle transportation.
Does American Auto Shipping ship internationally?
No. American Auto Ship only transports within the United States and its territories.

Is American Auto Shipping legit?

American Auto Shipping is a legitimate company offering local and long-distance moves across all 50 states and beyond. Its instant online quotes and expedited shipping options are convenient, so it’s a good choice if you need to transport your car as soon as possible. Just know that, because it’s only a moving broker, it isn’t the one that actually carries out the relocation of your vehicle. That said, the company has been in business for over 20 years and has moved more than 130,000 vehicles.

American Auto Shipping Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shipping?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I had a phenomenal experience! I called Thursday -9/15. They asked me when I want a pick up so I said 9/19. They explained the 5-day pick-up rule. It was picked up on Friday at 11:30 am in NY. Again I was notified that it would take 7 days for delivery at most. Although you did tell me about the 90% delivery rate, which I appreciated. I prefer to be informed.

AC01 was my transporter. Umed was the contact person. He was exceptionally professional. Handled my truck with care. And then two days later delivered it in perfect condition to my NV address. I was SHOCKED! I thought it had to be a mistake. Then Amanda called me to make sure everything went well. And I told her I would give you 1000 stars if I could. This was just an overall exceptional experience. Love the price guarantee And the free car wash! You are all fantastic and I would absolutely recommend you.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Amanda - It's so great to hear that your experience was so great, Joann! Thank you so much for all your kind words about our services and for your recommendation! We hope we hear from you again.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

This is the 2nd time that I have utilized the service of American Auto Shipping shipping separate vehicles from FL to CT and again in the opposite direction. Both times, I have had great customer service. It is obvious that they select their carriers carefully - I knew when the cars would be picked up, and delivered, with notifications about any delays. Both times, cars were delivered with zero damages. And they will reimburse you for a car wash once your vehicle arrives at designation. Since we travel back and forth from FL, and we have two vehicles, it is well worth the convenience to have a car shipped while we drive the other car to our destination. Due to this terrific experience with American Auto Shipping, they have now become part of our plan each time that we travel to and from our home in FL.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Amanda - Thank you so much for your review, Kenneth! We're so glad we've earned your business on multiple shipments and that we have continued to earn your trust moving forward. We certainly hope we hear from you again!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

We are super happy with the customer service from American Auto Shipping and Freedom Hauler Inc! The attention to detail, politeness and professionalism of the Freedom Hauler team made this experience wonderful from the moment of pickup in San Diego, CA to delivery in Beaufort, SC! On time pick up and delivery, no surprises and communication was awesome! BRAVO!

American Auto Shipping response

Call Amanda - Thanks, Mary! We're so glad that you were happy with us and your carrier. It's always great to hear from our customers and even more great when they have nothing but great things to say! Thank you so much for choosing American Auto Shipping and we hope we hear from you again in the future!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I was struggling to find a company to ship a brand new car from Connecticut to Indiana. It seems many of these companies overpromise and underdeliver. Then I ran across American Auto Shipping. Their online evens were good, so I completed the online quote form then called them. I talked to Shawna who was so professional. I accepted the quote and paid for priority 2 shipping. I accepted the quote on a Sunday, the car was picked up Monday morning, and delivered Tuesday around 11am. Car was In perfect condition. I highly recommend and would definitely use them again!!!!

American Auto Shipping response

Call Kirshawna - We're so glad to hear that everything went well with your shipment, Stephen. Thanks so much for choosing American Auto Shipping and we thank you so much for your review and recommendation. We hope we hear from you again!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

The overall experience was very good. I was alerted to when the car was being picked up and dropped off. The vehicle was delivered in a timely fashion. Every representative was very friendly and helpful. My only critique would be to allow the specific day to be picked as opposed to having to select a 5 day span for pick up. That would be more helpful for someone who is moving out of state and could allow the person placing the order a better way to figure out timeframes for their move.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Alicia - Thank you, Brian! It was our pleasure to ship your vehicle and we're so glad to hear that everything went well. Regarding the pickup window, we do have options for more specific time frames for pickup as well. We look forward to hearing from you again should you have other vehicles to transport in the future!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

Communication for pick and delivery was horrible. Additional fees not disclosed until delivery. Excessive delivery time. Would never recommend this company to anyone. Horrible experience!!! I had to constantly c

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

American Auto Shipping was on time and very professional. The gentleman knew his job well. When he delivered next he was very good at unloading the car with no damage and helped put car where it needed to be put.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Alyssa - Thank you so much, Dennis! We're glad to hear that your shipment went well and that delivery was very good and without issue. Thanks for choosing American Auto Shipping, we hope we hear from you again!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

Shipped my car from TX to MN. Less than 3 hours after I called, A dispatch was assigned and in less than 48 hours my car was delivered to MN with proof from my friend. The reviews I found online were great, and your price was very reasonable. I had no doubt about your authenticity. Thank you American Auto Shipping for this service.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Alex - You are quite welcome, Iyabode! We're glad to hear that everything went well with your shipment and we thank you for the opportunity to transport your vehicle. We hope we hear from you again in the future!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

Shipping was fast and convenient. There was no delay. It took about three days from Chicago, Illinois to Kirkland, Washington. Car was shipped to my doorstep, driver kept me informed. Great experience overall. Shipping company also kept in touch for updates about shipment. This shows the company cares about its customers.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Alex - Thanks so much, Kemi! It's great to hear that everything went well and that your experience was great. We hope we hear from you again in the future!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

I was a little nervous at first having never done this before. All my worrying for nothing. They were great. Picked up my car at my house and dropped it off a couple days later no problem. Henyrik the driver couldn’t have been nicer. First class, they have me as a customer forever.... AAAAA.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Alyssa - We're glad that we were able to assuage your nerves, Mark! It's great to hear that everything went well and we sincerely hope we hear from you again should you have more vehicles to transport in the future.

American Auto Shipping Company Information