4.8/5 (124 ratings)

About American Auto Shipping

American Auto Shipping is an auto transport broker that can help with numerous services, including open and enclosed transport, local and long-distance shipping and door-to-door and terminal-to-terminal delivery. It can also arrange for expedited shipping if you need to pick up your car within 24 hours.

Pros

• Instant online quotes available
  • Offers priority and expedited shipping
  • Local and long-distance moves
  • Final quotes are binding

Cons

• No international service

Bottom Line

American Auto Shipping’s online quotes and expedited deliveries can help you ship your car fast within the U.S. and its territories. Just make sure you understand its role as a broker before you sign up.

What is American Auto Shipping?

American Auto Shipping is a transport broker that hires out trusted carriers within its network to complete your delivery. It arranges for auto transport services to all 50 states and all U.S. territories. It also works with almost any consumer vehicle, regardless of its size, condition or weight. American Auto Shipping has been in business since 1999, and it claims to have shipped 137,000 vehicles at the time of publishing.

The company’s price quotes are binding, and it doesn’t require a deposit. If the auto transport carrier damages your car and the incident isn’t covered under the carrier’s insurance, American Auto Shipping provides up to $500 to repair your car.

Another perk American Auto Shipping provides is a free rental car on the off chance your delivery is excessively delayed (over 14 days past the delivery date). You also get a $20 reimbursement for a car wash when you ship your car through the company. It mails a check to you within five days after you submit your car wash receipt.

How does American Auto Shipping work?

Shipping your car with American Auto Shipping is a simple process. You start by getting your instant quote online or calling the company directly. You can then place your order online or with the car shipping specialist you spoke to.

From there, the company reserves a spot for your vehicle on a car carrier and sends you all the relevant information. Finally, the selected carrier moves your car and calls you four to 24 hours ahead of the delivery day to make sure you’re available.

You can choose between various shipping services, depending on how fast you need your car shipped:

• Standard service: The company’s most affordable option is designed to pick up your vehicle within one to five weekdays and features a 93% success rate over the last 30 days.
  • Priority shipping: Its next step up costs $200 more but is designed to get you a pickup in one to two weekdays, with the same 93% success rate over the last 30 days.
  • Expedited shipping: American Auto Shipping’s fastest level of service should get your car picked up within 24 hours and has a 93% success rate over the last 30 days. However, it only works on weekdays and costs $500 more than standard service.

Keep in mind that auto transport carriers only have a license to move vehicles and not household goods, so you aren’t allowed to move boxes of personal belongings in the car.

Moreover, carrier drivers must stop at weigh stations along their route. If the carrier is overweight, the driver could leave your belongings on the side of the road — in addition to passing the related fines on to you. Household goods also aren’t insured by carriers, meaning there’s no reimbursement if they’re damaged or lost.

American Auto Shipping costs

American Auto Shipping’s prices depend on your vehicle, your shipping distance and your transport preferences, in addition to the time of year and fuel rates. For example, shipping in the summer can cost $200 to $300 more than in the winter. While the company doesn’t list its rates, you can use its online instant quote feature to receive a personalized price.

Compare your quote to national averages to find out whether you’re getting a good deal. The average rate for transporting a car 1,000 miles or more is 60 cents per mile. For trips under $500 miles, the average cost is about $1 per mile.

American Auto Shipping FAQ

What types of vehicles does American Auto Shipping ship?
The company says it ships vehicles of any size, regardless of weight or condition. That means you can ship ATVs, boats, RVs and antique vehicles, plus more common vehicles like cars, trucks and SUVs.
Does American Auto Shipping have insurance?
American Auto Shipping only works with carriers insured for $750,000.
Will American Auto Shipping transport a nonworking car?
Yes. The company transports vehicles regardless of condition.
Will American Auto Shipping allow me to pack items in my car?
No. Most auto transport carriers are licensed only for vehicle transportation.
Does American Auto Shipping ship internationally?
No. American Auto Ship only transports within the United States and its territories.

Is American Auto Shipping legit?

American Auto Shipping is a legitimate company offering local and long-distance moves across all 50 states and beyond. Its instant online quotes and expedited shipping options are convenient, so it’s a good choice if you need to transport your car as soon as possible. Just know that, because it’s only a moving broker, it isn’t the one that actually carries out the relocation of your vehicle. That said, the company has been in business for over 20 years and has moved more than 130,000 vehicles.

American Auto Shipping Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shipping?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Shipping?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

I have never had to ship a vehicle across the country before, but my dispatcher made the whole process very easy. I purchased a vehicle out of state and needed to ship my trade-in to the dealer and retrieve the vehicle I purchased. Unfortunately the driver that was dispatched to get my vehicle was very difficult to get ahold of after picking up my vehicle, and I needed to give the dealer an ETA so they could ship the purchased vehicle. So timing was thrown off by the first driver, but the second driver brought the vehicle I purchased a day early. All said and done, I would say the experience for a first time shipper was a little unnerving, but after my first round of doing this, I better understand how the process works and would feel comfortable using this company again. Though they also had a difficult time getting in touch with the first driver, they did attempt to do so.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Jasmine - Thank you for your review, Ron. Unfortunately, some carriers can be difficult to reach as they drive hundreds of miles every day and aren't allowed to be on their phones while driving. However, we're glad to hear that everything went well and thank you very much for your recommendation!

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I had never shipped a car before, and after nearly a month of researching companies with some really scary reviews or prices changing and bad deliveries, seeking quotes, and even getting attitude from other companies, I am SO thankful I found American Auto Shipping. Of all the places I contacted, they were the only ones to give me a final price the day I asked for a quote. At that point that was enough for me to go with them. I requested a quote on 9/22/21, accepted the quote 9/23/21, and they found a driver and my car was picked up in Michigan on 9/27/21 and dropped off in perfect condition in North Carolina on 9/28/21. Everything went better than I could've imagined! I don't know for sure the next time I'll ever ship a vehicle, but I do know for sure who I will contact to ship it for me!

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you for the 5 star review Samuel. We make it easy and we are open 7 days a week. Please phone us for your final price too!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I made the reservation, most of it, online. I did have a couple of questions, tried calling American Auto Shipping, and left a voicemail. I don't think they ever called me back which I wasn't happy about but when I didn't hear back from them in 24 hours, I sent an email. The email got answered within 24 hours. The quote was right on. Compared to other services, it was kind of in the middle.

The delivery was to another state. They picked the car up in California and that was great. The gentleman that was driving the truck was very polite and knowledgeable. We watched him load it, and he was joking around with us. We had a good time. On the other end, everything was perfect. I had my granddaughter find a location that would be easy for the driver to get to and he met her there. While he was delivering the car, she FaceTimed us and showed us the car. Everything was fine and we could hear the driver in the background. He said, “Hi, grandma,” because he remembered that we were the grandparents, and was cordial to my wife. I would call him up again if I needed to ship a car.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Jasmine - We're glad to hear that everything went well, Douglas! Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to hearing from you again should you have more vehicles to ship!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

American Auto Shipping answered the phone and told me what the price was going to be. The price was fair. I thought it was gonna be $1 a mile but it ended up being cheaper than that. I talked to the driver two or three days before he was ready. They said 82% of the time they got done within five days. The driver had some truck problems and this was the sixth day when he called and said he would pick up on the seventh which turned into the eighth. But he was a nice guy, got there when he was supposed to, loaded it up, and took five days to get from Idaho to Houston. I picked a service that I wasn't worried about how long it's going to take to get here. The vehicle got here, unloaded fine, and there was no damage. Everything was the way it was supposed to be.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Kirshawna - Thanks so much, Cody! We apologize for any difficulties with the carrier but we're glad to hear that everything went well once your vehicle was picked up and we hope to hear from you again in the future!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I found three transport companies that seemed to have high ratings. I called each and talked with them, and what American Auto Shipping does is by far the best. I liked everything I heard. There were no mysteries to it. The reps were top-notch. I was happier with them and the amount of info they were able to give me compared to the other options. I asked them about what kind of coverage to expect, what the cost would be and what the options were for transport (covered versus uncovered). They were straightforward and easy to understand, and I liked the person I talked with. They laid out the relationship they have with their drivers, who they work with and why. That all made sense too.

During the delivery, I got a text message that they were getting close. I even got a phone call from the driver. A pleasant surprise was that he got there before he said he was able to. I’m staying in a condo so he wasn't able to get right into the place to drop it off. We picked a spot close by where he would park and we would do the pickup. I walked 500 feet from my condo, he backed the car out of the truck and we did the handoff. Everything looks great. I walked around it, took photos, and so did the delivery driver. I would totally go with American Auto Shipping again. I feel very good about the money I spent. It cost exactly what they quoted and I got what I expected.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Jasmine - Thanks so much, John! We appreciate your feedback and we're glad to hear that everything went well with your shipment. We hope to hear from you again should you have more vehicles to ship!

Original review: May 19, 2022

This is the only company I trust with my vehicle. Jasmine was thorough and I felt assured my vehicle was in good hands. They picked up my vehicles and the driver was respectful to all my requests and got my cars across the country safely. American is the real deal. Remember, you get what you pay for.

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Deborah for taking the time to write this wonderful review!

Original review: May 18, 2022

When my vehicle was finally picked up my car was transported within two days from Winter Haven, Florida to PA safely and without any damage. I was very pleased. I would recommend this company for their service. They picked up my car at a convenient place and dropped off at my address.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Rachel - Thanks so much, Mary! We're so glad to hear everything went well and we appreciate the review and the recommendation!

Original review: March 24, 2022

Communication could have been better arranging the pickup, as we were moving across the country and needed to plan accordingly, but it worked out. Car was in good shape when it arrived, and within the time they stated.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Alex - Thanks so much, Matt! We're glad to hear that everything went well and we look forward to hearing from you again should you have more vehicles to transport in the future!

Original review: March 5, 2022

The folks that brought me my G Wagen were so professional, accommodating and just plain nice. They kept me posted about their ETA and and they hit our famous DC metro traffic, updated me immediately. First time I used the company and it was a great experience. The people that brought my car if they are an example of the rest, then you will be pleased.

American Auto Shipping response

Call Kirshawna - Thank you very much, James! We're glad to hear that everything went well with your shipment and that your experience was great. We hope to hear from you again should you have more vehicles to ship in the future!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

After googling for auto shipping companies, I decided to take a chance with American Auto Shipping. From my first contact by phone with them, till after the car had been delivered, everyone was so friendly, professional, and answered all my questions no matter how many times I asked them. The guy that took my initial order was so accommodating. He worked hard to get my car picked up when I wanted because I needed it picked up and delivered at a special time. I will definitely will use them again. This was one time a Google search worked out well.

American Auto Shipping response

Thank you Joyanne for the wonderful review. We are open 7 days a week to assist everyone!

American Auto Shipping Company Information