2. Auto Transporters

Ship a Car Direct

Ship a Car Direct
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.97/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Ship A Car Direct is an auto transport broker that sets customers up with one of its pre-screened car carriers and answers any questions clients have about vehicle transportation. The company offers open and enclosed vehicle transport and accommodates any size of vehicle.

BOTTOM LINE

Ship A Car Direct works with a network of auto transporters to provide door-to-door car shipping. The company offers transport in open or closed carriers.

PROS

• Door-to-door shipping
    • No upfront deposit required
    • $500 built-in insurance

CONS

• No terminal-to-terminal shipping

Top Ship a Car Direct Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship A Car Direct?

I used Ship A Car Direct to ship my 2 cars. The rates were not very low or high. But selected them based on the reviews … The cars were delivered safely and much quicker. I am very pleased with the experience and will definitely use them again in future.

From start to finish the communication was excellent. The driver delivered our car once our plane landed. The experience was excellent and the driver so professional, friendly and helpful.

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

What is Ship A Car Direct?

Ship A Car Direct is an auto transport broker that connects customers with auto carriers. Ship A Car Direct offers door-to-door shipping and free estimates. You don’t need to provide any contact information to receive a rough estimate, though detailed estimates require additional information. Prices vary based on distance, vehicle type and time of year.

Ship A Car Direct cost

Costs vary based on several factors, but expect to pay $400 to $700 to move a sedan across several states and anywhere from $900 to $1,300 for a cross-country trip. The company charges up to 50% more for enclosed-carrier shipping, which helps protect valuable or antique cars — this is standard for most car shipping companies. To get a more accurate idea of what it costs to haul your car, use the quote estimator on the company’s website. For an exact quote, call and speak to an agent. Ship A Car Direct does not charge upfront fees.

Ship A Car Direct also offers $500 of insurance against damage. So, if a carrier damages your vehicle and its insurance doesn’t cover the damage or won’t pay, Ship A Car Direct covers up to $500 of that damage.

Ship A Car Direct transport options

With Ship A Car Direct, you can personalize your auto transport to match your needs. The only exception is when it comes to the pickup and drop-off method. Ship A Car Direct only offers door-to-door shipping, not terminal-to-terminal shipping.

• Enclosed shipping: If you want your car to have extra protection during transport, opt for enclosed shipping. This means your vehicle is protected from the elements in a container. Open shipping, the default option, is cheaper but doesn’t offer as much protection.
      • Door-to-door shipping: Ship A Car Direct’s deliveries are always door to door, meaning it picks up your vehicle at your home and drops it off directly at its destination. It does not offer terminal-to-terminal shipping, which is when a carrier picks up your car at a nearby terminal and drops it off at another one close to your destination.
      • Cross-country shipping: Ship A Car Direct offers service throughout the U.S. (except Alaska), so you can move your vehicle cross-country if needed. Expect this to take between one and two weeks.
      • Interstate shipping: If you’re moving your vehicle across a few states, expect it to take from four days to a week.
      • Expedited shipping: If you need to ship a car at the last minute, Ship A Car Direct can handle it. Just keep in mind that it costs more than a move planned further in advance.

Ship A Car Direct FAQ

How does Ship A Car Direct work?
      Ship A Car Direct is an auto transport broker, which means it works within its network to find you a reliable auto carrier. In return, you pay Ship A Car Direct a fee, which is typically worth it because an auto transport brokers’ expertise makes the experience much easier.
      Does Ship A Car Direct have a damage-free guarantee?
      Yes. If your car is damaged and the carrier won’t cover it, then Ship A Car Direct covers up to $500 in damage.
      Does Ship A Car Direct require an upfront deposit?
      No. Payment isn’t required until Ship A Car Direct confirms your carrier and shipping dates.

Do we recommend Ship A Car Direct?

We recommend Ship A Car Direct — its customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and we also like that it provides rough estimates of how much it costs to ship a car without requiring contact information. That’s a rare feature among auto shippers. Its damage-free guarantee and door-to-door shipping are also standout features.

Ship a Car Direct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship a Car Direct?
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship A Car Direct?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

"I contacted several shippers for quotes and selected Ship A Car Direct because they were in the the price range of the others and did not not have any upfront charges. So I put in an order and posted my vehicle. I received a call the same day asking if they could pick it up that day. They picked it up in Virginia and delivered to Texas in 3 days. The whole experience was quick, efficient and most important, the car was in the same shape as when it was picked. I would recommend Ship A Car Direct and use them again when shipping a car- Jim K- Virginia."

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

Ship A Car Direct connected us with Demeltaf Transit for the shipping of a car purchased in Miami and delivered here in Virginia. The car was picked-up on Sunday and arrived at our home on Monday afternoon. Not only was the delivery incredibly prompt, but the price was hundreds lower than other bids I received. The Soto's...who own Demeltaf are wonderful and careful stewards of your vehicle. I wish that I could rate them higher than 5-stars. Great folks. Summarily, a terrific experience and I will absolutely use Ship A Car Direct in the future.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

We needed to ship a car from Tacoma, WA to Austin, TX. This was our first time shipping a car (the car was for our nephew who is a college student) and we were concerned what condition the car would be in after travelling on a trailer-truck for 2200+ miles. After checking reviews we picked Ship-a-Car. Their price was lower than some other companies but their reviews were good. Everything about the experience was excellent. The car was picked up by Puget Sound Carriers and delivered on time and the car arrived in excellent condition.. No scratches or dings. All the Ship-a-Car and Puget Sound Carrier people were outstanding. We would definitely recommend and use them again.

Original review: March 26, 2020

My vehicle was transported from Georgia to the state of Washington. Prior to that while looking for companies I came across yours on the Internet. When I called I spoke to Drumon in the name of Wade who is based out of Sacramento. He advised me of the procedure, what did I need to do and what to expect which I thought was very helpful and made me feel very comfortable. He’s a very people person. He also advise me of the pickup times and drop off time about where my vehicle will be dropped off at and not to worry. Picture felt very comfortable and closing your company was very professional and keep me apprised of everything prior to me accepting the contract with Ship a Car Direct.

I would advise anyone was planning on transporting a vehicle to go to your company. Review five stars. If there was a belly to give you 10 I would. I like also give kudos to once again Wade the broker in Sacramento California. Also the driver who drop my vehicle off was very friendly courteous And very professional. Thank you. Have a good day.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Having thoroughly researched several companies, I ultimately chose Ship a Car Direct to arrange the transport of a car from Los Angeles to the Boston area. Of all the brokers I talked to, they were the most informative, explaining the entire procedure and answering any and all questions I had. Within a day of accepting their quote, the vehicle pickup was arranged, only to be advanced to a day earlier at my request. The trucker was equally communicative and delivered the car an hour earlier than originally anticipated in order to accommodate my schedule on delivery day. To be sure, the entire experience exceeded my expectations, and I would not hesitate to recommend Ship a Car Direct to anyone. You will be pleasantly surprised!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Ship A Car Direct Customer Service and communication was great. Quote had to be adjusted because after S-A-C-D reached out, it turned out that it would cost about 100 dollars more. SACD did cover half of that increase though, so my end cost was about 50 dollars more. They were quick to communicate this though, which was great. Vendor delivered car much more quickly than expected (which is fine for us), but I thought vendor's communication could have been better about schedule. In the end, overall great service.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Used Ship a Car direct twice now, both times the pick up and drop off went without any issues. Everything was handled on time and they are flexible to find a carrier to accommodate your schedule. Pricing was more than fair considering they do the leg work for you and screen their carriers - in both instances there was no damage, timelines were kept on both ends and no pop up charges or hidden surprises. Definitely would use them again in the future.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I had a 2021 Lexus LX570 shipped from Smyrna, Georgia to Salt Lake City, Utah. I had to decide between an open or closed carrier. The difference was $400. The car was picked up on a Wednesday at 3pm east coast time and arrived on Friday at 1pm mountain time. It took less than 2 days to transport this vehicle across the country. It was clean and only 1 mile driven on the vehicle. I would highly recommend this company to use.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

We were very pleased with our service. While we understood that pickup may not be on the day requested, our driver arrived as scheduled. He was very courteous and the process of inspecting and loading went quickly. The car arrived without a scratch. The team at Ship a Car were always available to help with our questions and some last minute changes that we made in terms of schedule. Overall a very good experience!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I used Ship A Car Direct to move a vehicle from California to Massachusetts. I was pleased with the ability to communicate with my contact (Dave) at any point during the process. Not everything went exactly to schedule, but that is understandable given the nature of the process. The only delays were within a day, and I was able to get an accurate status at any time. Very satisfied with your service.

Ship a Car Direct Company Information