Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Auto Transporters

Ship a Car Direct

Ship a Car Direct
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.90/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Ship A Car Direct is an auto transport broker that sets customers up with one of its pre-screened car carriers and answers any questions clients have about vehicle transportation. The company offers open and enclosed vehicle transport and accommodates any size of vehicle.

BOTTOM LINE

Ship A Car Direct works with a network of auto transporters to provide door-to-door car shipping. The company offers transport in open or closed carriers.

PROS

• Door-to-door shipping
    • No upfront deposit required
    • $500 built-in insurance

CONS

• No terminal-to-terminal shipping

Top Ship a Car Direct Reviews

I used Ship A Car Direct to ship my 2 cars. The rates were not very low or high. But selected them based on the reviews … The cars were delivered safely and much quicker. I am very pleased with the experience and will definitely use them again in future.

From start to finish the communication was excellent. The driver delivered our car once our plane landed. The experience was excellent and the driver so professional, friendly and helpful.

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

What is Ship A Car Direct?

Ship A Car Direct is an auto transport broker that connects customers with auto carriers. Ship A Car Direct offers door-to-door shipping and free estimates. You don’t need to provide any contact information to receive a rough estimate, though detailed estimates require additional information. Prices vary based on distance, vehicle type and time of year.

Ship A Car Direct cost

Costs vary based on several factors, but expect to pay $400 to $700 to move a sedan across several states and anywhere from $900 to $1,300 for a cross-country trip. The company charges up to 50% more for enclosed-carrier shipping, which helps protect valuable or antique cars — this is standard for most car shipping companies. To get a more accurate idea of what it costs to haul your car, use the quote estimator on the company’s website. For an exact quote, call and speak to an agent. Ship A Car Direct does not charge upfront fees.

Ship A Car Direct also offers $500 of insurance against damage. So, if a carrier damages your vehicle and its insurance doesn’t cover the damage or won’t pay, Ship A Car Direct covers up to $500 of that damage.

Ship A Car Direct transport options

With Ship A Car Direct, you can personalize your auto transport to match your needs. The only exception is when it comes to the pickup and drop-off method. Ship A Car Direct only offers door-to-door shipping, not terminal-to-terminal shipping.

• Enclosed shipping: If you want your car to have extra protection during transport, opt for enclosed shipping. This means your vehicle is protected from the elements in a container. Open shipping, the default option, is cheaper but doesn’t offer as much protection.
      • Door-to-door shipping: Ship A Car Direct’s deliveries are always door to door, meaning it picks up your vehicle at your home and drops it off directly at its destination. It does not offer terminal-to-terminal shipping, which is when a carrier picks up your car at a nearby terminal and drops it off at another one close to your destination.
      • Cross-country shipping: Ship A Car Direct offers service throughout the U.S. (except Alaska), so you can move your vehicle cross-country if needed. Expect this to take between one and two weeks.
      • Interstate shipping: If you’re moving your vehicle across a few states, expect it to take from four days to a week.
      • Expedited shipping: If you need to ship a car at the last minute, Ship A Car Direct can handle it. Just keep in mind that it costs more than a move planned further in advance.

Ship A Car Direct FAQ

How does Ship A Car Direct work?
      Ship A Car Direct is an auto transport broker, which means it works within its network to find you a reliable auto carrier. In return, you pay Ship A Car Direct a fee, which is typically worth it because an auto transport brokers’ expertise makes the experience much easier.
      Does Ship A Car Direct have a damage-free guarantee?
      Yes. If your car is damaged and the carrier won’t cover it, then Ship A Car Direct covers up to $500 in damage.
      Does Ship A Car Direct require an upfront deposit?
      No. Payment isn’t required until Ship A Car Direct confirms your carrier and shipping dates.

Do we recommend Ship A Car Direct?

We recommend Ship A Car Direct — its customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and we also like that it provides rough estimates of how much it costs to ship a car without requiring contact information. That’s a rare feature among auto shippers. Its damage-free guarantee and door-to-door shipping are also standout features.

Ship a Car Direct Reviews

Original review: June 19, 2019

I "shopped around" quite a bit. My partner found another provider, but we felt uncomfortable-all communication via text, low pricing. It sounded too good to be true, and it was. After reading 1 star review on the other provider, I found Eve and this company. Her costs were somewhat higher than the other provider. We spoke on the phone, and she educated me on the process. While the other provider was cheaper, and had provided me a guarantee pick up time, that my car was in fact still open on the boards for a driver to pick up-so I would have been waiting had I not spoke to her. She detailed that all providers post to the same board. She mentioned that drivers are very cautious about what they pick up, and that if a pick up is posted by multiple providers, a driver won't pick it up.

After speaking with her, I decided it was a good idea to pay a slight premium to ensure that my car was indeed picked up. Within 90 or so minutes of having my car removed by the former provider, and picked up by Eve's company, a driver had selected my car to drive. (He texted me confirming-this did not happen with the other provider, even though I was told that there was a driver; when I asked for his number to confirm, I was refused.) 2.5 hours later, I was meeting the driver and dropping my car off. Same Day! My car was delivered 4 days later, and I was in constant communication with the driver on the delivery day. Easy, trustworthy, car arrived on time.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I worked with Stefan at Ship A Car Direct to have a car shipped from NJ to TX. Initially there was a lot of great communication with Stefan, and I knew just what to expect. However, it seemed like there was a big communication breakdown with the transport company. Some of this occurred when the driver came to pick up the car. He seemed to have no idea that the car could not be dropped off in Texas until Friday... My son wouldn't arrive in Texas until late Thursday afternoon. This was a problem for the driver who noted that he would be heading back east on Friday. We agreed that when my son arrived in Texas on Thursday PM, he would call the driver and they would meet up at the residence where he was staying.

When we checked in with the driver several days later on the Thursday morning before my son's flight, the driver asked if my son could meet him that afternoon at a truck stop where he was resting rather than dropping the car off at the residence where my son was staying. My son agreed, not realizing that the truck stop would be 40 miles from his residence. After my son picked up his car (which arrived in perfect condition) and drove over an hour to his residence, I let Stefan know what had occurred. He was very apologetic and the company made things right by me by refunding my fee.

I am giving them 5 stars because their customer service was excellent. Their communication with me throughout the process was excellent. Although the driver seemed like a very nice guy when he picked up the car, he took advantage of our lack of knowledge of the location of the truck stop relative to my son's residence. I would use Ship A Car Direct again... but I would not allow Wayside Trucking to transport my vehicle. Hopefully Ship A Car Direct will be evaluating their use of this transport company as well.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2019

We were relocating from New Jersey to North Carolina. I had had back surgery recently and my doctor did not want me driving for that long of a period of time, so we decided to have our 2018 Subaru Impreza shipped. I looked at many companies and decided to go with Ship a Car Direct. They were the only one that had an A+ or an A in Better Business Bureau. Every other companies had a C or lower and had many complaints filed against them. Their reps were excellent. They were very responsive, answered all my questions and if I sent an email, their rep would call me immediately. Their service was excellent.

I paid what Ship a Car Direct reps quoted. The rate was a bit more than some of the other companies, but sometimes, you get what you pay for. I decided it was worth going with a company that had a very good Better Business Bureau rating and pay a little bit of extra money. I wasn’t here on the date it was delivered because it was delivered the day before we moved. But luckily, I have a friend that lives down here so she took the delivery for me. The car was perfectly fine. It was the same condition when it was picked up and the same mileage.

Hello Teresa,

We are happy to hear that we were able to provide you with an excellent service. It has been our pleasure to have assisted you with the transport of your vehicle. Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct!

Original review: April 4, 2019

I bought a car off and I needed to bring it up from Missouri. I happened to find Ship a Car Direct's name at the top of the list and I did some research on them. Since I hadn’t used transport before, they sounded like they’ve been at it and they knew what they were doing, so I went with them. The interactions that I had with the people that I initially spoke with were super. The guy that I talked to was Matt, then some other people came in as the process went on and I had more people standing by if I needed help or something went wrong. They followed through the whole way. I was not alone in it.

The process went smoother than I thought it would go and the actual driver they had was phenomenal. It was super on my father’s end when he picked it up and it was also super on my end when he dropped it off. He gave my father a time when he’d show up and he gave a time for me as well. The driver was right on time and was phenomenal. He couldn’t have been a nicer guy. The whole process could have been a nightmare. I was stressed because I figured there were gonna be some problems, but it couldn’t have gone any smoother than it did. It turned out to be one of the best things and the easiest things I’ve done. The process almost took care of itself. It went so smoothly. It was one of the easiest things I’ve ever done considering there was distance involved in bringing something up that I had nothing to do with, and it went well. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

I was so thrilled with the transport people, the guy, and with Ship a Car Direct themselves. I never had an issue. The whole experience was great. I almost wanted to find another one to bring up. If I needed to bring a car up or bring a car or ship it somewhere, I would go through Ship a Car and I wouldn’t even think twice. If anybody’s gonna move a vehicle, I wouldn’t even hesitate.

Hello Rick,

We are happy to know that your whole transport experience was great! Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct!

Original review: April 3, 2019

My experience with Ship a Car Direct was fantastic. I live in Arizona and I found a vehicle I wanted in Boston. However, I did not want to fly out and drive it home. I had to use a vehicle transport and I considered 4 companies. I had a friend locally and he does a lot of car shipping from other states to Arizona. He referred me to a local person and I called them and talked with them first. I got a price from them then I looked online and called the top couple that were just wherever Google search led me, and compared the phone conversation and the pricing. I liked best what I heard from Jennifer and she was sweet, easy to deal with, and gave quick responses. There were lots of auto-generated emails that were time populated saying, “Okay, you’ve done this step. Now, we’re gonna send you this,” “Okay, your car has been picked up. Now, we’re gonna send you this,” so it was really clear.

Also, a couple of the videos from Ship a Car Direct that I watched were well done and those helped me understand the process as I was someone who had never done shipping a vehicle before. Then, I also spoke to another male rep and asked if I should contact the carrier driver as I haven’t heard from him and he told me to give him another day. And sure enough, he contacted me. So, I've had great interactions with them.

The pick up and delivery was so smooth and there were lots of communication with the dealership. There were two dealerships so I had two cars picked up at the same time from two different dealerships. I communicated with them, they communicated with me, and they communicated with the driver. The cars got picked up with no problem late Saturday and dropped off on Thursday. The driver had originally told me it would take six days and Jennifer also told me it takes six or seven days ‘cause it’s coming from all the way on the other side of the universe. So, the time estimate was spot on and he was earlier than what was said. He also communicated when he would be here and it was super accurate. Then he dropped the cars off, he shook my hand, I gave him some cash, and we were a done deal. The driver was so great that when I sold one of my vehicles about a week after getting them to someone in Ohio, I recommended him to them.

Hello Jason,

We are delighted to know that your experience with Ship A Car Direct was fantastic. Thank you so much for your recommendations!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship A Car Direct?

Original review: March 27, 2020

I have used Ship a Car Direct at least 5 times to ship my vehicle cross country from California to North Carolina (and back again). Matt is absolutely great to work with, drivers are always courteous and vehicle arrives in great condition. Ship a Car Direct is the only company that I would consider for this service.

Original review: March 26, 2020

My vehicle was transported from Georgia to the state of Washington. Prior to that while looking for companies I came across yours on the Internet. When I called I spoke to Drumon in the name of Wade who is based out of Sacramento. He advised me of the procedure, what did I need to do and what to expect which I thought was very helpful and made me feel very comfortable. He’s a very people person. He also advise me of the pickup times and drop off time about where my vehicle will be dropped off at and not to worry. Picture felt very comfortable and closing your company was very professional and keep me apprised of everything prior to me accepting the contract with Ship a Car Direct.

I would advise anyone was planning on transporting a vehicle to go to your company. Review five stars. If there was a belly to give you 10 I would. I like also give kudos to once again Wade the broker in Sacramento California. Also the driver who drop my vehicle off was very friendly courteous And very professional. Thank you. Have a good day.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Having thoroughly researched several companies, I ultimately chose Ship a Car Direct to arrange the transport of a car from Los Angeles to the Boston area. Of all the brokers I talked to, they were the most informative, explaining the entire procedure and answering any and all questions I had. Within a day of accepting their quote, the vehicle pickup was arranged, only to be advanced to a day earlier at my request. The trucker was equally communicative and delivered the car an hour earlier than originally anticipated in order to accommodate my schedule on delivery day. To be sure, the entire experience exceeded my expectations, and I would not hesitate to recommend Ship a Car Direct to anyone. You will be pleasantly surprised!

Original review: March 3, 2020

First time shipping a car. I found Ship A Car Direct to be very helpful and great pricing. They were very attentive every step of the way and stepped in when an issue came up pricing. I would consider using their services again.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Great job! They did an excellent job in explaining the process, answering any questions, and with a follow up. This process was hassle free! Thank you for the ease and peace of mind during a stressful time.

Ship a Car Direct Company Information