4.94/5

Ship a Car Direct

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choose Ship a Car Direct if you're in need of an honest, friendly, and fair priced Car Shipping Service. Every order comes with $500 in added insurance, free of charge. Our job is not just to set you up with one of our Pre-Screened Car Carriers, but also to answer any questions you may have about Vehicle Transportation. We offer both open and enclosed vehicle transport and will accommodate any size. Contact us to get a fair priced quote for shipping your vehicle.

Ship a Car Direct Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3313 Ship A Car Direct Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My car was picked up the same day I called and was delivered to its destination within two days. It was so easy and hassle free. The communication was excellent and the whole experience went smoothly.

Hello Renee,

We are very happy to know that your whole transport experience went smoothly. Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct! :)

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Utter professionalism. From David the agent to Brian the driver everything was on time and just as described. They are not the cheapest, but their high rating can give you confidence that they care about the move in this very stressful time.

Hello Steve,

We are glad to know that your car got delivered on time and that we made you feel we care. It has been our pleasure to served you. Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

The rep at Ship a Car Direct was very responsive either through phone or email when I had to transport my 2007 Toyota Yaris from Arizona to Massachusetts. She kept me very up to date with what was happening. The email responses were very quick and prompt. She got all of it and I did minimal work. I was also informed even after so it was good. I got a quote online and it was very accurate to its final cost though it was an extra 50 bucks which was based on the carrier.

The car was picked up on Tuesday night and it was delivered on a Sunday evening. The delivery team let me know two hours before they arrived then the truck came right behind my house. They arrived earlier than expected and I just had to look at the car and sign on the electronic pad that he had. It was quick and I got the email with the invoice shortly after. I got the vehicle in perfect condition and it was exactly the same. Overall, I had a great experience with this company and I would absolutely go to them again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I was relocating and needed to transport my Honda Accord Coupe from Philadelphia to Los Angeles. I’ve been transporting for years and we get a lot of slimy people in this business. But the gentleman I spoke to at Ship a Car Direct, Matt, has been legit and he cared. The only issue I had was with the driver because there was a lack of communication. He picked the vehicle on a Monday and I spoke to him on Wednesday to ask when he’d be here and he told me he’d be here by Friday but he was here on Saturday, which is totally fine. It was just on Friday, I had taken off of work. I also called him once and texted him a few times later in the day but he never got back to me until Saturday. Despite that, the vehicle was perfectly fine when I got it. I would definitely recommend my experience with Ship a Car Direct.

Hello Steven,

We are glad to know that your car was delivered in perfect condition. We appreciate your recommendations. Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was moving from Kansas City to California. I looked at different transport companies and the quote I got from Ship a Car Direct was a little bit costly. But I chose to go with them because of the reviews. The interaction I had with their reps was great and the driver was good. It took only four days for him to transport the car. I was completely satisfied with the service and I would recommend Ship a Car Direct to others.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship a Car Direct?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Ship a Car Direct was a very painless experience to get a new toy 800mi to its new home. Driver was easy to communicate with and experienced. A little ahead of schedule, which was just fine. The Broker I had, Jennifer. Was well educated, not pushy, or overly optimistic on a too good to be true price.

Hello Ric,

We are happy to know that your experience with Ship A Car Direct was painless. Thank you for trusting Ship A Car Direct!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I was moving from California back home to Connecticut and I had to transport a 2011 Hyundai Sonata as well as a 2013 Nissan Altima. I have used Ship a Car Direct before when I moved to California and the transport went great. The guy who picked up the car, as well as the one who dropped it off was super nice. But this time, I was helped out by Scott and he helped me the entire way through. He gave me his phone number and helped me even when I didn't set it up yet. I blew up the guy’s phone, calling him all the time and he always answered it. If not, he'd give me a quick call back and was never annoyed with me even though I have a million questions.

When I first set it up, I was given a quick quote but Scott called me and he let me know basically what he was guessing. I had been planning to move for a year and I called Scott three months before I actually set everything up. He made a quick estimate of what the cost might be, but he said that it was not even worth setting it up right at the time because the way that the whole system works, they don’t look at the actual appointments until like a week before. I would call and ask if it was a good time to do it but he told me to wait until December and it should be good.

The quote I was given was at $1,200 and it ended up like another 200 just because it was taking a while for the companies to send a person out to do it. He said that the first company to take it wanted another 200 extra which was fine with me and I think they can get it out as soon as we need it to. Then, we tried to get the vehicle picked up before I left California. But since there was stuff going on in the area, I ended leaving and then, it got picked up. All I had to do was to give the keys over to my girlfriend and she didn't need to sign anything. The guy picked it up, loaded up the cars and brought them halfway through.

There was a checkpoint where they switched off the cars and another person brought it the rest of the way. I was told that it would take up to like 10 to 11 days but it was quicker than that. When the guy came, I paid in cash and talked to him. He was super nice. The cars came perfectly fine, other than it was a little dirty, which makes sense because it was not an enclosed space. I got them washed and it was perfectly fine. Scott handled everything and was always helping me out the whole way. For me, he was the calm in the eye of the storm.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I got a new job so I had to relocate. I did a Google search and looked at some of the different options for organizers and saw good reviews for Ship a Car Direct. I went with them and found that they had great reps who were really helpful. They got the ball rolling quickly when I sent them an email that I was interested. It worked out really well and they did a good job. Shipping the car was way easier than shipping my stuff. It was easier to get it all done with through emails and text and they got everything. Everything was on time and it went well.

At first, the price given was a bit more than I thought it was gonna be as I also had a truck so I understood that part of the deal. But looking at the other industry prices, the price was fair and was right in line. They never changed the price and it was definitely worth it. Ship a Car made it really easy on me and everything was good. It took them four days from Minnesota to LA and I couldn't believe how quickly they got the car there and there was no damage in it. I would recommend this company.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have used this shipping service twice - shipping my car from Boston to Phoenix and shipping the same car back from Richardson Tx to Boston. Both cases, the quotes and the whole process is very reasonable. The driver went extra to arrange the pickup and delivery. The schedule is on time. The price is reasonable as well.

Hello Jack,

We are glad to know that your car transport went smoothly both times. Thank you for trusting Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We moved from Texas to California and of the transport companies that I looked at before, Ship A Car Direct was the third. We went with them primarily because of the cost. The quote they provided was better than any of the others. Also, they were like a third party company that would handle everything. Their customer service rep stayed in contact on the phone so they were able to text us and tell us we were able to change locations of where we were gonna drop off our car. When they got out here, they texted us again to meet me somewhere. The driver was very helpful and polite. He was also accommodating. Overall, the service we received was better than any of the others. It was of very good quality for the cost. And when the car arrived at our location, it was just as I had left it.

Hello Julia,

We are happy to know that we were able to provide you a good quality service. Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I was moving to Arizona from Illinois and I looked around for transport companies. Ship a Car Direct has the best prices so I went with them. It was really good with the organizer. I got multiple emails explaining absolutely everything to me. It was very thorough and I knew exactly what was going on and what I was being charged for. The delivery was estimated like nine days but it came in six, so it was even sooner than I expected. Everything was good with the vehicle except that it was really dirty but they drove through snow and rain so it’s understandable and after a carwash, it was perfect.

Hello Nicole,

It was nice to know that everything was explained to you thoroughly. We are glad to know your vehicle was delivered safe and sound despite the snow and the rain. Thank you for trusting Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I contacted Ship A Car Direct about moving a car from Atlanta Georgia to Occidental California. They quoted an excellent price and had a carrier within 24 hours. The car was picked up the next day and got here in perfect condition 3 days later! Scott stayed in touch the whole time. These are great people to work with.

Hello Ron,

We are happy to know that your car arrived in perfect condition and delighted to hear that Scott kept in touch with you the whole time! :) It has been our pleasure to serve you. Thank you for trusting Ship A Car Direct!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Ship a Car Direct is a great company and I would highly recommend them! My car was delivered in perfect condition and even a day earlier than expected. Both the driver and dispatcher had excellent customer service and were very professional.

Hello Suzanne,

We are glad to know that we were able to provide you with a excellent service. We truly appreciate your high recommendations. Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I had a job relocation and I needed a transport service that would ship from California to Georgia. I read a lot of reviews and I liked the videos that Ship A Car had. They had a lot of transparency which won me over and my trust. It was a bid and ask situation and what was initially explained to me made complete sense. So, to probably go too low, I could get it, but it would delay the transport because someone would finally grab it. And then, if someone grabs it too low, they were not really happy with the job that they got.

I understood how the business works so, when I decided to put in a bid for 1,000, I got it. Everything was quick and I was very pleased with the process and the price I got. I was kept in the loop via emails. Ship A Car’s people were accessible and I was able to call even the transport service. There was no time that I felt like I was bothering anyone. Also, the actual transport organizer was very friendly and very courteous. He replied to my text and gave me ETAs. All in all, Ship A Car did a good job and everything about my experience was perfect all across the board.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My father-in-law passed away and he had a car in Florida that we wanted to give to his daughter in Oregon. There was an ORG site and there was a seniors site, and both of them rated car shippers. The only name that was in the top five on either site was Ship a Car Direct that was why I chose them. I called the number and talked to a woman named Renee, who was fantastic. We were trying to get the vehicle shipped at the beginning of January, but they shut down over the holidays. We had a small window of time when it could be picked up and they solved that.

She walked me through the whole thing and said if I had to go more expensive or a couple hundred dollars more, we would. But we didn't have to. She found it for the price she quoted me exactly. The driver who picked the vehicle up was very professional and the website was great where you take pictures of your car that you submit before they pick it up so that they document it if there are possible damages. The vehicle was delivered on time and it was great.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I would definitely recommend this company. Communication was extremely good from the beginning and they outlined all the steps along the way. Car arrived on time with solid communication from the driver.

Hello Mark.

We are so happy to know that you were very satisfied with the service we provided you. Thank you for the recommendations and thank you for trusting Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I was moving and I needed to get my car shipped from San Diego to Maryland. I looked at four different transport companies and I ended up using Ship a Car Direct's services because of the safety aspect of it. They guaranteed that if something got messed up, they would at least help repair the car. Also, the quote that they gave me was good and comparable to the ones I received from the companies I had researched.

When I booked the transport, I called and gave them the information. They told me that they would get back to me. I started getting nervous four days before my car was to be picked up, so I called more often. But David reassured me that my car would be picked up, though I had to pay more to entice the drivers to pick my car up. From then on, he called me everyday to give me an update on what was going on.

The day that my car was supposed to be picked up, however, the truck got into an accident so they had to find someone else to come. David was very helpful with that. The car was picked up on a Saturday and it got delivered the next Friday, which was quicker than what I was told. Also, my car's condition was as it was shipped. The carrier driver was special and very kind, and I liked him.

Hello Rebekah,

We are glad to know that everything went well despite the challenges encountered along the way. It is nice to know that David was very helpful and it is also nice to know that the driver was very kind. Thank you for trusting Ship A Car Direct!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Car transport from Ca. to NY. - They were a pleasure to deal with. Frequent and honest communications about where things stood. Much better than another transport broker I was working with. I highly recommend them.

Hello Carl,

It has been our pleasure to serve you. Thank you so much for choosing Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

When I did a web search, I was impressed by the information that Ship a Car Direct had on the process on their website. I was moving and so I needed a transport service. The rep I worked with was very clear, articulate and was able to answer all my questions. And the quote they gave was just slightly higher than what we had discussed. They picked up my vehicle on December 22nd and they delivered it on January 9th. The driver was actually coming through earlier, like around the 1st of January. But he came through town at 2 o'clock in the morning. He was planning on dropping it off on his way, but he ended up not doing it, and instead they just stored it at their facility in Riverside until I told them that I was ready. The condition of the car looked totally fine when it was delivered.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

My son was doing his last college semester in California and we needed a transport service. We went with Ship a Car Direct based on the reviews they got. They had a lot of information on their website. They kept me abreast of everything that was going on. They estimated the delivery to 10 days but they got the car there three days earlier. We had to change the delivery address at the last minute, and they were very fine about that. It was smooth and easy. I was really happy with their service. It was a lot easier than I had expected it to be.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I needed to find a vehicle transport company very quickly after my son accepted a position on the West Coast. My choice was made once I read the reviews for Ship A Car Direct. I spoke with Matt and he was very honest with me. He explained that since we live in a smaller city in the East Coast, finding a carrier to get the vehicle to the destination might take some time. To my surprise, Matt was able to get the vehicle picked up within 3 days of our conversation. The price was reasonable and the whole process was explained fully.

When the driver arrived, he was very pleasant and made us feel at ease. Matt stayed in contact with me throughout. Along with his contact info, he shared the support team and carrier information. My son was able to have his car delivered on the estimated date for the amount quoted. The vehicle needed a wash but otherwise arrived in the same condition when it was picked up. Ship A Car Direct also has an app that you can use to take before and after photos of your vehicle for insurance purposes. I highly recommend Ship A Car Direct to everyone.

Hello Irma,

We are so happy to know that we have exceeded your expectations. We appreciate your high recommendations. Thank you for trusting Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I needed to get my Honda Accord from Washington, D.C. to California. My son had used Ship A Car Direct a year ago and liked them so, I called them directly. Their reps were helpful and they immediately got me a shipper. They sent me the quote and it seemed fine. At one point, I had to change my dates and they took care of that very quickly. And they kept following up all the way through the process to make sure everything was okay.

The transport took about seven days. I said to the driver that I was gonna be in California on day one and that they couldn’t get the car to me before that, so the best would be day two and they came on day two. It was perfectly done. It came to a specific site in Oakland, California which was where I am. I went there and the driver was there a little bit early. He was very friendly and very nice. He had taken the car down from the truck and parked it on the side. Then, we went through all the paperwork very quickly. It was great. The car was in a perfectly good condition except that it was incredibly dirty, but it was an outdoor transit.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

My experience with shipping my car was great. They were very accommodating with my schedule and transported my car to Florida without incident. Other than the car arriving rather dirty it had no damage. I will definitely use this service again.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My adventure started with an exploratory email to Ship A Car Direct for an estimate to move my car from the Seattle area to the Detroit area. I was pleasantly surprised to get a quick response from Renee who quoted a reasonable estimate. I reviewed their comments on their website, asked a number of questions and watched the videos posted. Each time I got a thorough answer and was reassured that my car would arrive in the window I requested. I was contacted several times through the process to make sure that I was kept up to date. My car was picked up without incident by a friendly driver who also assured me that my car would be taken to the next rendezvous location and would then be on its way east.

Once I arrived at my destination, I was expecting my car to arrive about 7 days later. However, I was thrilled to learn that my car would arrive 3 days early! Sean was friendly and professional as he unloaded my vehicle, signed off on the paperwork and left my car without a scratch. The process couldn't have been easier for me. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I’ve never shipped a car before but the experience with Ship A Car Direct was superb in every respect. Once I found the company recommended online, I was able to use the website to fully understand and arrange my shipment quite easily. The short videos were particularly helpful in understanding the process such as whether I should opt for open shipping as I did. And the various emails kept me fully informed throughout. The shipper that was arranged for me confirmed right away and was willing to adjust my pickup date a bit for my convenience. He was courteous and very professional when he arrived to pick up the car right on time. And the delivery from GA to CA took less than three full days! Thanks to Ship A Car Direct for an all around perfect experience. I should add that the cost was very reasonable.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Not only was the price fair, but the service was top notch. I was surprised how quickly my car got to me. Matt was awesome to work with. If I ever need another vehicle transport solution - they will be the first I call! Thanks again!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Having a convertible but not wanting to drive a convertible especially this time of the year in between California and Texas prompted me to need a transport service. It was in my best interest to give that to a professional driver. I did my research online and the reviews with Ship a Car Direct were by people that have used them before, and you can go with what they said concerning their experience with Ship a Car Direct. The gentleman who handles the endeavors with me with Ship a Car Direct gave me more information than the one or two others that I talked to. They didn’t really take me through the procedure as well as the gentleman at Ship a Car Direct did. I was told, as far as the insurance is concerned, with whom you go with as far as a shipping company, what they insure your car for and all the little specifics that I really should know, and they won me over more so than anyone else.

With Ship a Car Direct, it was really a one-two-three experience. It was made user-friendly for me, a layman. Everything was good as far as things worked out for me. There was a little anxiety involved with the process initially, but they took the anxiety out of it for me. The driver was professional and he was about one day ahead of what I was anticipating. I was getting some things squared away in California before I flew back to Texas, having to make sure that the contact person on the ground had everything that was supposed to be taken care of as the car was going to be picked up, and we got back to Texas at the same time.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Ship A Car Direct made the whole process quick and easy. David ** is an amazing customer service representative who answered all my question and always followed up in a timely fashion. Ship A Car Direct was honest and fair in the pricing. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I researched online and compared about three or four different transport companies, but the price and reviews of Ship a Car Direct led me to go with them. The one that had been highly personally referred to me turned out to be a specialty and their pricing was way higher, while another one was hard to get a quote online from. Ship a Car Direct, on the other hand, was a couple of hundred bucks less. I had a 1999 Pontiac Firebird transported from Michigan to Texas and I had a good experience with them.

I really liked their process. They are basically a broker and they are not doing it themselves. They let you know what price they are bidding it at out to the shippers, so we fished the price out initially. Nobody took it and we let it simmer a bit. They came back through at a higher price and we eventually gave a shipper the go ahead. I also had some quirks around. I wasn’t gonna be at the shipping point because I'm down in Texas, so I needed to coordinate between them and my friend who had the car, and they were quite helpful in that process, so that end of it went really smoothly.

As far as the delivery of the vehicle, the guy really did me a solid. He picked the car up and started it up, and he drove on the trailer and shipped the car down. My buddy had just put the battery back in the car and the guy arrived down in Houston. We arranged for a place to meet, which wasn’t my house and was around the corner of Motel 6. He was on the trailer and he started the car right up and drove it off the truck. He parked it in the parking spot, then we met and I paid. He then went on about his business. He didn’t leave, though, and he was going into the hotel for the night because it was the end of the day. I went to start the car up and it funked out.

I kinda called the guy back and asked if he experienced anything. He could have just said something like, “Well, tough. There's your car. Deal with it,” but he really hang around and, ultimately, it turned out to be a loose battery. We figured that out, but he knew a guy in the area and he was calling on with him, “Hey, this is what's going on. What do you think?” He stood there for an extra 15 minutes to half an hour to troubleshoot the car with me and it was really great. That really won me over. The condition of the vehicle was fine, nonetheless, and the transport took about two or three days. It went relatively direct.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I was looking for a transport service company as I was transferring my wife's car from Ohio to Portland, Oregon where I currently live. I've looked into four different companies and decided to go with Ship a Car Direct due to their prompt response, good reviews, and their overall behavior. Their rates weren't the lowest but they were good enough compared to others. Their customer service reps were good to work with. Even if they didn't receive the call, they were back within a few minutes. And although, in the end, they were a little pestering on the review like, "You have to give this review, this that, this that." I would've given it, but every day they would email back.

The pick up of the vehicle was good. Within a small space, the driver loaded the car. And at the drop off time, a person came in and hurried a bit. I said, “Let me drive my car to check whether everything is doing correctly.” And the guy, after getting the payment, wasn't really wanting to wait. That's a small negative on that part. But overall, everything was good. Ship a Car Direct is reliable. It was a great experience and they had access to dependable carriers.

Ship a Car Direct expert review by Lauren Fix

Ship A Car Direct has been shipping cars for customers since 2008. They changed their name from Honesty First Auto Transport, which emphasized the importance of honesty to them, in order to make their services clearer to customers.

• Free added insurance of $500 on every order: Every carrier they use carries the standard insurance coverage for any damage during transit. Ship a Car Direct also offers an additional $500 on every order – free of charge.

• Door-to-door transport: Ship a Car Direct loads your vehicle at your home or other location, transports it on one carrier and unloads it at the new address you specify. You don't have to worry about multiple modes of transport or about where to arrange pickup or delivery when you use this company.

• No upfront fees: Ship a Car Direct does not charge you any fees to place your order. There is no payment due until the carrier who will pick up your vehicle is confirmed.

• Short lead time: If you need to move a vehicle at the last minute, Ship a Car Direct does its best to accommodate your request. At the most, you'll have to wait one to two days to get the process started.

• Cross-country moves available: Ship a Car Direct offers service throughout the USA (except for Alaska), so you can move your vehicle across the country if you need to.

• Best for: Out of state movers and small business owners.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Ship A Car Direct Company Information