Ship A Car Direct
Call toll free
4.92/5

Ship a Car Direct

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choose Ship a Car Direct if you're in need of an honest, friendly, and fair priced Car Shipping Service. Every order comes with $500 in added insurance, free of charge. Our job is not just to set you up with one of our Pre-Screened Car Carriers, but also to answer any questions you may have about Vehicle Transportation. We offer both open and enclosed vehicle transport and will accommodate any size. Contact us to get a fair priced quote for shipping your vehicle.

Ship a Car Direct Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3448 Ship A Car Direct Consumer Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

It's not easy at all to choose a transport company. Everybody is horrible. It's so cutthroat and nasty out there. If you don't know what you're doing or you don’t have the right person in place, you can be screwed. Shipping a car is a scary thing to do especially when you got a $100,000 car that you’re moving. I talked to a lot of people and they have lots of promises. I purchased a car and it sat there in the car lot for a month. I looked at the reviews on Ship a Car Direct and it sounds like it’s a big company and it sounds good. But then, you can’t trust them because I was hearing that they have fake reviews out there, and they pay people to put reviews. I heard all that before so I don’t trust anybody. But I looked at reviews, I looked at the BBB, and Ship a Car Direct looked legit.

I called up the girl, her name is Jennifer, and told her what I want to do. She was awesome. I called her and she’d answer. If I emailed her, she answered as well, and that was tough. In addition, she was honest and she didn’t bash any other car shippers as everyone else did. She was just, “Here’s what we got,” and she didn’t put anybody down. She even gave me a price deduction. She was like, “Hey, we’ll only charge you this amount of fees.” Within less than a week, I had a driver. I talked to the driver and brought my car. He too was awesome. I called and he’d answer right away. I text him, he’d text me back. I have no anxiety about where my car is at. I was at the gym and so he dropped it off at the gym.

Since I live literally down the road, I asked him if he can help me drive my car and he helped me out. Back when I bought the car, I told the people there to be honest with me. I asked them to walk around the car and if there's minor damage, I need to know. After all, I'm expecting scratches. And they’re like, “Nope, there’s nothing wrong with it.” But when the driver got here, he brought all the scratches out and there was a lot more than I thought. But he already had them marked down and had the car lot sign off on them.

So, it’s nothing that he had later. It was before, like a pre-delivery check. The driver probably did it to cover his own. He didn’t wanna see something not on there and then get here, and then I see it and he can get blamed for it. But he did a good job. I had an excellent experience with Ship A Car Direct. I’m happy with them, 100%. They did a good job of finding me the right driver and interviewing them. If I have to use Ship a Car Direct again, I would call the same person back. I would definitely recommend them.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I relocated from North Carolina to Arizona. I called somewhere between 8 and 10 different companies and I called two shipping direct companies as opposed to a broker. I went with Ship a Car Direct because of timeframe, feedback on reports from people who utilized their services, and their ability to do what they said they were going to do. Their reps were easy to reach. When I called after hours, they forwarded it to a third-party that did what they could to handle the questions at the time. And they got back to me when they said they would get back to me and went through the process.

They had videos on their website explaining various components of areas where consumers would have questions probably, along the way. So, they obviously have done this for quite some time and learned from past experience as to create all these videos to make the situation less challenging, because it's a difficult process. I'm a person who plans ahead of time and when you ship a car, you can't plan these things ahead of time the way you normally would. If you call and say, "Okay, I'm giving you eight weeks now, so you had plenty of times to set things up,” the broker doesn't get the information until 24 to 48 hours prior by the driver saying, "Okay. I'm going to pick up the car.” Everything is last minute.

One of the things that Ship a Car did was they said they were gonna need a three-day window to make sure that this was all handled properly. I gave them a five-day window but didn't need it. So, that was a good thing because they were able to get the driver in contact with me, within that three-day window that they said they would. And they gave me the driver's number direct. I got to choose whether I wanted that driver or not. Also, they did not take deposits until I authorized that and accepted the driver they assigned. So there were all factors that played into as opposed to some companies that won't take the deposit upfront.

The pick-up went well. It was a 93-foot truck. I had anticipated because I wanted an enclosed vehicle for my two vehicles that I was shipping. And I didn't realize it was going to be a soft cover enclosed. But I could have asked the driver. I just assumed that it was a hard shell enclosed. He came into my development and for a 93-foot truck, that was not an easy task. He manipulated part of the way into the development and then he called me and said he was not gonna be able to get all the way to my house but he was only two blocks from me. So I was able to drive the car to him without difficulty.

The loading of the vehicles, everything went smooth on that end. There was a complication on the delivery end and it was considered on his end that a claim might be put into the insurance company. This would have affected somehow his standings with driving and he got very agitated. I have a Corvette that had 3,000 somewhat miles. It was nearly mint car and there was a very, very small paint chip. On the original bill of letting, he put marks on all the areas he saw. And on his bill of letting, he had this area marked and on our copy, it wasn't there. Now, all the other areas were. He said he would give us 50 bucks and they would call. My wife said the broker said if this happens, she'll pay him in full. There's no holding of payment. But she had to get a note from him saying that this was on the original bill of letting and he just went ballistic.

He started putting the cars back up on his truck and pulled the bill of letting out of her hand. Ultimately, the nephew of the driver held our copy up to the sunlight. Although you couldn't see anything, you could see the impression of PC which was paint chip. And as soon as that was pointed out to her she said, "Fine," and the deal was finished and he drove off and we got our cars.

But the bottom line is, in all honesty, the driver did a good job of getting the cars here. He got them here too early because we told them when we would be here and he was going to drive around with the cars on his truck. So, it was just a miscommunication in the end but I thought the driver was good and the company that hired him was good. Ship a Car Direct did everything they could and they did it well.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My son wanted to move from Virginia to Texas and I shortlisted Ship the Car Direct. When I submitted a request through Google I got hundreds of replies and phone calls and was really scared about it. When I called him he explained they are the brokers and they are going to find me a right shipper based on our data. He also explained how the process is going to look like, that we would tell them when we want to ship and have the car picked up. He explained how they were gonna charge me in the front.

I was skeptical about what was going to work because I was also talking to another shipper. But finally, I decide to commit to him just based on his email and the list of emails changed. It looked like that the process is little bit streamlined. I also looked at the comments about them from various sites. And then he said that, “Once you committed, I’m going to find the shipper. But once I find the shipper, you have to pay this amount of money, that first phase, and then rest of the money you pay directly there.”

And then he called me and said that, “Afternoon Saturday, you are ready to go, and this is when the guy’s going to come, this car is going to be shipped.” And then I also got the shipper’s details, who the contact person, then he emailed details. I was feeling little more comfortable because now I was getting the responses one after another. The driver called and said that, “I’m going to come in the afternoon. I said that, “Great.” And he said that, “Probably, I’ll come in the afternoon because I don’t want to have traffic.” And he didn’t come. I called him, and he said that, “No, no, I think there are issues there, traffic today. I’ll come tomorrow.”

He said that he was going to come at 3 o’clock. Probably he came at around 4 o’clock. Me and my son went there, dropped the car. He inspected the car and checked every single thing, and he said that, “Here’s the number, and this is the day.” And I told him that, “I need the car on Monday, and I’m going to call you.” He said not to worry and that my car would be there. I booked another rental car for my son just in case, based on the comments that it takes very long time.

I called the driver and he said it was our choice when we would pick up the car. I realized that he was already there, and I canceled my rental. I told him that I could pick up the car. I gave the office address of my son, where he works. And I told him where he was staying and it was in a hotel. He said that he could drop it there and just make sure that there is enough area where the vehicle could go. He went there around 8 o’clock and this was one day early because I thought that my son could use that vehicle.

Everything was pretty smooth. In between, we also got a text and email messages regarding, “Hey guys, you could upload the car’s photos and every single thing just in case if your vehicle is damaged. So, we have the details and then we could do it.” I was feeling very much comfortable, and then the process just worked right on the money. I was extremely, extremely happy. And I never thought that it could be this easy. I will definitely recommend eShip again and again. If I will be using a transport company tomorrow, I’ll just use them.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I used Ship a Car Direct when I shipped some vehicles to my nephew in Louisiana. I dealt with Jennifer from customer service and it went very well. I took advantage of Ship a Car Direct's online quote calculator and got Jennifer's quote. I looked at another competitor for a quote and they were roughly in the same range. There was a $100 difference, but because I had already booked with Jennifer at Ship a Car Direct, I went along with them. The price was spot-on and it was reasonable given what I had. She was emailing or calling at all times and was keeping me abreast. She was very patient and very helpful to me. There was a holiday and she happened to be traveling, but all the notes in the file were up to date. If I had a question, she called me. If I emailed her, she emailed me back. If I texted her, she texted me back.

Initially, the cars were in Suisun, which is close to Fairfield, and she was emailing me that they got no drivers yet, but she said that she would keep me posted. However, I got nothing for about a week. Some activity happened over the weekend where I said that I was moving the vehicles. I ended up moving the vehicles to my home in Elk Grove and had the transport driver pick up the vehicles from there. I changed the order a bit and she updated her file very quickly. Once I changed everything, she was in communication via email or text to my phone. I was assigned a driver within a day. Jennifer contacted me and said that she found me a driver and that the driver should be calling me.

I called the driver and had to let them know that I couldn’t drop what I was doing because I was at least half an hour out from home, but I would be there. The driver was patient and he worked with me. The gentleman arrived at my home and there was not a problem loading up the vehicles. I was amazed at how those things loaded up. Unfortunately, one of the vehicles did not ship because I could not get it started and the driver could not take it because it had to be up and running. He tried to help me get it started, though.

When they arrived at the drop-off location, there was also no problem. The driver called prior to their arrival. He called my family in Louisiana and said that he was about half an hour out. He also called me to let me know that he was half an hour out and to let me know that he was dropping off the vehicles. He also asked if someone was going to be there to receive them and I let him know. I called my family and he subsequently called them and said that he was about 20 minutes out. He also asked where they wanted the vehicles parked. All the cars were received in the condition in which they left and my family was very happy. I spoke to my nephew and there were no problems with the vehicles.

I prepaid the driver, so I paid him for the contract I had agreed to, which was taking five vehicles to be transported. He only took four, so I have one in which I made contact with him last week and I said that I’m in the process of getting the vehicle repaired and that as soon as I get it repaired, I will call him. I let Jennifer know and she is in the loop at Ship a Car Direct. She told me to let her know if I have any problems. Hopefully, by the end of the week or next week, I’ll be shipping the vehicle on my way.

I did some research online with other transport companies and saw some bad reviews, even with the broker or the transport driver. I did not have either one of those experiences with Ship a Car Direct and none of those were on them when I looked around. I would recommend Ship a Car Direct immediately. They are very customer service-oriented, and they will keep in touch and keep you updated.

Ship A Car Direct response

Hello David,

Thank you for sharing and detailing your experience with Ship A Car Direct. We are glad to know that your cars have been delivered safely. We appreciate your recommendations. Thank you for the trust!

Original review: June 25, 2018

We moved our home from Florida to California, from Orlando to Palm Desert. After reading three Yelp reviews, we decided to go with Ship a Car Direct. We contacted them, told them our schedule requirements, and there was nobody in town to work with Ship a Car Direct after we left town. So we had to get the shipment done before we left town. I learned that there's some variability in their ability to schedule and that the business is characterized by sort of last minute schedule. They can't commit to the carrier until about a week or two before the pick-up date, which made me very nervous.

Still, I worked with them and they were very communicative with all kinds of reassurance and help with understanding how the process would work. They also had an online app to take pictures before and after, on pick-up and delivery. And they'd get back to me as they said they would when there was an open issue that I had. So, it was a very positive experience and I loved it.

They picked the car up pretty much as scheduled and I used the app to take pictures of my car before it was loaded on the truck. Then, they arrived in California at our drop-off point a day early, which worked fine for us because of certain scheduling issues. I also took pictures with the Ship a Car Direct app afterwards, which again was reassuring to me that I had documentation of the condition of the car before we shipped and after. It was perfect and there were no problems with any damage to the car. Also, there were no hidden fees. I got a verbal notice about the price and they followed it up by an email confirmation. The price was very competitive from the beginning and my final payment was what I expected. In fact, it was exactly what we agreed to.

I was planning this move for six months and I didn't know if I had a carrier until a week before. So there was tension there and I didn't know that there was a solution, but if they could do something to ease that tension for their future customers, that would be nice. I know it's difficult, but maybe Ship a Car Direct could produce an app that the carriers could use to notify the customers that they're gonna be at this place by this date with this percentage of confidence. And maybe they could have several people lined up, a Plan B kind of thing, in case the first carrier couldn't meet his schedule. Then that information comes to their customers and they feel more comfortable that there's a plan A, B, and C in case the first one or two carriers don't meet their schedules.

Other than that, I'd recommend Ship a Car Direct in a heartbeat. It was a great experience, especially the customer service people that were in communication with me over several months leading up to the transport. I pestered them but their attitude was good. They were responsive and consoling for my fears. Over the weeks leading up to the transport, because of the way they communicated, the apps that they had, and several emails from their quality control people and so on and so forth, I began to build confidence that they were a competent, dependable organization.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship a Car Direct?

Original review: June 17, 2019

The services that was provided to me regarding having my car transported from one state to another was amazing. The customer service representatives are there to assist you in every way. All departments reaches out to you once your drive is assigned; therefore, you do not have to call around for specified department.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I've had a bad experience in the past using another shipper but I've found a great replacement. Stefan was on point and with the easy to use online ordering process made for some 5 star service. Within 30 minutes I had my car booked for next day pickup with a 7 day estimate for a cross country delivery which ended up being only 5!!!! They offer an app for reporting damage but wasn't necessary at all. The guys at AG were professional and delivered without incident. I highly recommend this service!!!!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I had great customer service starting with Matt who set up my delivery with the carrier. As far as pickup, I was given advance notice that enabled me to meet the carrier in a parking lot a few miles from my home since access wasn't good at my home being that my street is narrow. The car was delivered on time in perfect condition going from a suburb of Pgh., Pa. to Las Vegas, NV. It was easy, and I experienced no problems.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I contacted Ship A Car Direct in March, knowing I had my car delivered last season, they came through for me when the initial broker failed me. Stefan kept in touch with me and was able to get a transporter on one of the three requested dates for pick up. Was very happy with the service and would recommend them.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I worked with John and he was outstanding! I had never shipped a car before and he held my hand throughout the process. He was knowledgeable, patient, and great to work with. The drivers were also friendly and kept in touch. My car arrived two days earlier than originally anticipated. All around great experience and I will definitely be a return customer.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I moved from AZ to FL. My car was delivered on time as promised, in PERFECT condition. They picked up car and the guys were really nice, friendly and professional. Thank you for taking care of my Audi S4.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2019

Horrible experience with these guys. Lack of communication on their part cost me money. Avoid if you can, very unprofessional and they overcharge comparing to the competition. You let these guys transport your car, you will find yourself constantly calling them to get information. They will tell you one thing on the phone and when all is finally done you get something else and a bunch of excuses from their side.

Ship A Car Direct response

Hi Yordan,

We are very sorry to hear that you had a horrible experience with us. We thought everything was fine, since when we spoke to you there were zero complaints or issues mentioned other than the receipt was wrong, which we promptly fixed. We tried reaching out to discuss this with you and have not heard back. We've gone ahead and refunded you for your trouble, and we hope that you have a better experience next time you ship your car. Thank you.

Original review: June 4, 2019

It was a great experience all the way from initial order to completion and delivery of vehicle. The driver loaded the car in 15 mins and delivered it early. He was updating us on ongoing basis so there was no question on status. Really easy and convenient.

Original review: June 4, 2019

My overall experience shipping our car from Denver to MD was wonderful. We received constant updates on the status of the move and estimated arrival time. The driver was just great and helpful.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I was very pleased with the professional handling of my account by Christina. She informed me exactly how the business works from start to finish which was very helpful. My carrier arrive the day I wanted him to and the car arrived here at the very next day safely. I will be sure to use Ship a Car again. And would recommend it highly to any of my friends.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Great service and fantastic performance. Could not be more pleased with the service provided by Ship A Car Direct and AutoLine Express (carrier). Very simple process, with great communication. Arrangements were easy and straight forward. Pickup on time, quick but thorough. Delivery was 3 days early and the car was in perfect condition. Don't think I could drive from OH to CA for the cost of having my car transported. Would definitely use Ship A Car Direct again.

Original review: May 30, 2019

The representative we dealt with was rude and obnoxious. We, consequently, took our business elsewhere to which we still received an unprofessional text message. It was disappointing and uncalled for and certainly not deserved. Additionally, he was unable to find a carrier (after 3 business days) and when we switched the alternative found a carrier for us in two hours with no nastiness.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I was in a bind and needed our car shipped quickly. The entire team was very responsive to my needs. Car was picked up the second day after my first phone call and delivered three days later to New England from Florida. They were in constant contact with me to make sure things were being done in a timely manner. Would definitely recommend them and will use them again when I need to ship a car.

Original review: May 29, 2019

When I moved from NC to CA in May, I had to look for an auto transport company to ship my 2015 Lexus from the east coast to the west coast. After much research and reviewing customers comments, I decided to go with Ship A Car Direct. John with Ship A Car Direct was very thorough and responsive to my requests during the whole process. John assigned my order to Onway Logistics who also did an excellent job. My car was picked up and delivered on time without any damages. I will definitely use Ship A Car Direct again!

Original review: May 28, 2019

I had my car shipped from NJ to CA, and this was the easiest process I have ever had moving. My fiance will be moving here in 2 months, and I will have her use the same service. I really wish there was something like this to move my house. The best part was not having all the phone calls from different carriers trying to get your bid. Thank you for your help

Original review: May 27, 2019

I worked with Stefan at Ship A Car Direct to have a car shipped from NJ to TX. Initially there was a lot of great communication with Stefan, and I knew just what to expect. However, it seemed like there was a big communication breakdown with the transport company. Some of this occurred when the driver came to pick up the car. He seemed to have no idea that the car could not be dropped off in Texas until Friday... My son wouldn't arrive in Texas until late Thursday afternoon. This was a problem for the driver who noted that he would be heading back east on Friday. We agreed that when my son arrived in Texas on Thursday PM, he would call the driver and they would meet up at the residence where he was staying.

When we checked in with the driver several days later on the Thursday morning before my son's flight, the driver asked if my son could meet him that afternoon at a truck stop where he was resting rather than dropping the car off at the residence where my son was staying. My son agreed, not realizing that the truck stop would be 40 miles from his residence. After my son picked up his car (which arrived in perfect condition) and drove over an hour to his residence, I let Stefan know what had occurred. He was very apologetic and the company made things right by me by refunding my fee.

I am giving them 5 stars because their customer service was excellent. Their communication with me throughout the process was excellent. Although the driver seemed like a very nice guy when he picked up the car, he took advantage of our lack of knowledge of the location of the truck stop relative to my son's residence. I would use Ship A Car Direct again... but I would not allow Wayside Trucking to transport my vehicle. Hopefully Ship A Car Direct will be evaluating their use of this transport company as well.

Original review: May 23, 2019

We shipped our Honda Odyssey from Durham, NC to Tucson, AZ in May. We worked with Rita to get the pickup set, and she was extremely helpful. The communication from start to finish was excellent. The shining star of our experience was the actual driver. He could not get into into our development, and he worked with us, patiently to make an alternate pick up spot. He was so professional and very kind. Safety and security was most certainly his top priority, which gave us great peace of mind. The van was in Tucson within four days of pick up. The driver communicated with our son for the pickup and the delivery was as seamless as the pickup. I truly cannot say enough great things about our experience from start to finish, and most certainly, the driver!!! Money well spent!

Original review: May 22, 2019

Highly organized and responsive. Stayed connected throughout the process. Identified local transport service that was excellent and met all expectations. Pricing competitive and much lower than van line carriers.

Original review: May 20, 2019

First time needing to ship my car to another state... So glad my first experience was such a pleasant one! Ship a Car Direct took good care of me from beginning to end every step of the way. They made the process super easy! Highly recommend for anyone who needs a peace of mind in shipping their car to another state!

Original review: May 20, 2019

My experience was very positive. The driver showed up on time and was very professional. The car arrived in perfect condition as scheduled. The agent form Ship a Car kept in contact with me and updated at all times.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I've shipped cars before, and this by far has been the best experience. The shipper knew exactly how to handle the two cars, his communication about pick-up and delivery was excellent, and was extremely careful with them. He was polite the entire time and I appreciate the extra care and attention he gave in loading and unloading the vehicles. If ever I need to ship cars again, I would definitely use them!

Original review: May 18, 2019

We were totally thrilled with our experience with this company. John and his team from the very start were on top of things and communication was outstanding between all parties. Our transport had a few logistical details and everything was perfect! I highly recommend using them as they even had a photo app so you can take photos of your vehicle. Their staff and the transport company Comic Transport were friendly and gave me confidence in our transport! Thank you!!

Original review: May 17, 2019

Hello, I am writing this to share my experience with Ship-a-Car Direct, for shipping my car from Houston, Tx to Atlanta, GA. I have been moved to 5 different states so far but I got the best shipping service of my car ONLY from this vendor. They are prompt in response and delivery date and time are flexible plus they deliver the vehicle with great quality. So I would recommend this to all my friends. Thanks.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I worked with John - he was excellent. Good support staff who kept me abreast of pickup, delivery, and how to take before/after pictures in case of damage. There was NO DAMAGE. Carrier chosen by John was very competent and gracious. Overall, a great experience.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Thank you so much for delivering my deceased sister's car safely and soundly. Although it almost looked as if the shipment might fall through since Austin to Homer, NY, is not a highly traveled route, Matt was able to find a carrier the day before another sister had to return to Idaho. IIuri, the driver, even took the time to show me how to operate the unfamiliar vehicle. If needed, we would certainly use your services in the future.

Ship a Car Direct expert review by Lauren Fix

Ship A Car Direct has been shipping cars for customers since 2008. They changed their name from Honesty First Auto Transport, which emphasized the importance of honesty to them, in order to make their services clearer to customers.

• Free added insurance of $500 on every order: Every carrier they use carries the standard insurance coverage for any damage during transit. Ship a Car Direct also offers an additional $500 on every order – free of charge.

• Door-to-door transport: Ship a Car Direct loads your vehicle at your home or other location, transports it on one carrier and unloads it at the new address you specify. You don't have to worry about multiple modes of transport or about where to arrange pickup or delivery when you use this company.

• No upfront fees: Ship a Car Direct does not charge you any fees to place your order. There is no payment due until the carrier who will pick up your vehicle is confirmed.

• Short lead time: If you need to move a vehicle at the last minute, Ship a Car Direct does its best to accommodate your request. At the most, you'll have to wait one to two days to get the process started.

• Cross-country moves available: Ship a Car Direct offers service throughout the USA (except for Alaska), so you can move your vehicle across the country if you need to.

• Best for: Out of state movers and small business owners.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Ship A Car Direct Company Information