Ship A Car Direct
4.88/5

Ship Your Car

Ship a Car Direct

Choose Ship a Car Direct if you're in need of an honest, friendly, and fair priced Car Shipping Service. Every order comes with $500 in added insurance, free of charge. Our job is not just to set you up with one of our Pre-Screened Car Carriers, but also to answer any questions you may have about Vehicle Transportation. We offer both open and enclosed vehicle transport and will accommodate any size. Contact us to get a fair priced quote for shipping your vehicle.

Ship Your Car

Ship A Car Direct Reviews

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

It's not easy at all to choose a transport company. Everybody is horrible. It's so cutthroat and nasty out there. If you don't know what you're doing or you don’t have the right person in place, you can be screwed. Shipping a car is a scary thing to do especially when you got a $100,000 car that you’re moving. I talked to a lot of people and they have lots of promises. I purchased a car and it sat there in the car lot for a month. I looked at the reviews on Ship a Car Direct and it sounds like it’s a big company and it sounds good. But then, you can’t trust them because I was hearing that they have fake reviews out there, and they pay people to put reviews. I heard all that before so I don’t trust anybody. But I looked at reviews, I looked at the BBB, and Ship a Car Direct looked legit.

I called up the girl, her name is Jennifer, and told her what I want to do. She was awesome. I called her and she’d answer. If I emailed her, she answered as well, and that was tough. In addition, she was honest and she didn’t bash any other car shippers as everyone else did. She was just, “Here’s what we got,” and she didn’t put anybody down. She even gave me a price deduction. She was like, “Hey, we’ll only charge you this amount of fees.” Within less than a week, I had a driver. I talked to the driver and brought my car. He too was awesome. I called and he’d answer right away. I text him, he’d text me back. I have no anxiety about where my car is at. I was at the gym and so he dropped it off at the gym.

Since I live literally down the road, I asked him if he can help me drive my car and he helped me out. Back when I bought the car, I told the people there to be honest with me. I asked them to walk around the car and if there's minor damage, I need to know. After all, I'm expecting scratches. And they’re like, “Nope, there’s nothing wrong with it.” But when the driver got here, he brought all the scratches out and there was a lot more than I thought. But he already had them marked down and had the car lot sign off on them.

So, it’s nothing that he had later. It was before, like a pre-delivery check. The driver probably did it to cover his own. He didn’t wanna see something not on there and then get here, and then I see it and he can get blamed for it. But he did a good job. I had an excellent experience with Ship A Car Direct. I’m happy with them, 100%. They did a good job of finding me the right driver and interviewing them. If I have to use Ship a Car Direct again, I would call the same person back. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I was moving from California back home to Connecticut and I had to transport a 2011 Hyundai Sonata as well as a 2013 Nissan Altima. I have used Ship a Car Direct before when I moved to California and the transport went great. The guy who picked up the car, as well as the one who dropped it off was super nice. But this time, I was helped out by Scott and he helped me the entire way through. He gave me his phone number and helped me even when I didn't set it up yet. I blew up the guy’s phone, calling him all the time and he always answered it. If not, he'd give me a quick call back and was never annoyed with me even though I have a million questions.

When I first set it up, I was given a quick quote but Scott called me and he let me know basically what he was guessing. I had been planning to move for a year and I called Scott three months before I actually set everything up. He made a quick estimate of what the cost might be, but he said that it was not even worth setting it up right at the time because the way that the whole system works, they don’t look at the actual appointments until like a week before. I would call and ask if it was a good time to do it but he told me to wait until December and it should be good.

The quote I was given was at $1,200 and it ended up like another 200 just because it was taking a while for the companies to send a person out to do it. He said that the first company to take it wanted another 200 extra which was fine with me and I think they can get it out as soon as we need it to. Then, we tried to get the vehicle picked up before I left California. But since there was stuff going on in the area, I ended leaving and then, it got picked up. All I had to do was to give the keys over to my girlfriend and she didn't need to sign anything. The guy picked it up, loaded up the cars and brought them halfway through.

There was a checkpoint where they switched off the cars and another person brought it the rest of the way. I was told that it would take up to like 10 to 11 days but it was quicker than that. When the guy came, I paid in cash and talked to him. He was super nice. The cars came perfectly fine, other than it was a little dirty, which makes sense because it was not an enclosed space. I got them washed and it was perfectly fine. Scott handled everything and was always helping me out the whole way. For me, he was the calm in the eye of the storm.

Ship A Car Direct response

Hello Romeo,

We are so happy to know that Scott handled everything and was always helping you. Thank you for trusting Ship A Car Direct! :)

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I researched online and compared about three or four different transport companies, but the price and reviews of Ship a Car Direct led me to go with them. The one that had been highly personally referred to me turned out to be a specialty and their pricing was way higher, while another one was hard to get a quote online from. Ship a Car Direct, on the other hand, was a couple of hundred bucks less. I had a 1999 Pontiac Firebird transported from Michigan to Texas and I had a good experience with them.

I really liked their process. They are basically a broker and they are not doing it themselves. They let you know what price they are bidding it at out to the shippers, so we fished the price out initially. Nobody took it and we let it simmer a bit. They came back through at a higher price and we eventually gave a shipper the go ahead. I also had some quirks around. I wasn’t gonna be at the shipping point because I'm down in Texas, so I needed to coordinate between them and my friend who had the car, and they were quite helpful in that process, so that end of it went really smoothly.

As far as the delivery of the vehicle, the guy really did me a solid. He picked the car up and started it up, and he drove on the trailer and shipped the car down. My buddy had just put the battery back in the car and the guy arrived down in Houston. We arranged for a place to meet, which wasn’t my house and was around the corner of Motel 6. He was on the trailer and he started the car right up and drove it off the truck. He parked it in the parking spot, then we met and I paid. He then went on about his business. He didn’t leave, though, and he was going into the hotel for the night because it was the end of the day. I went to start the car up and it funked out.

I kinda called the guy back and asked if he experienced anything. He could have just said something like, “Well, tough. There's your car. Deal with it,” but he really hang around and, ultimately, it turned out to be a loose battery. We figured that out, but he knew a guy in the area and he was calling on with him, “Hey, this is what's going on. What do you think?” He stood there for an extra 15 minutes to half an hour to troubleshoot the car with me and it was really great. That really won me over. The condition of the vehicle was fine, nonetheless, and the transport took about two or three days. It went relatively direct.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I relocated from North Carolina to Arizona. I called somewhere between 8 and 10 different companies and I called two shipping direct companies as opposed to a broker. I went with Ship a Car Direct because of timeframe, feedback on reports from people who utilized their services, and their ability to do what they said they were going to do. Their reps were easy to reach. When I called after hours, they forwarded it to a third-party that did what they could to handle the questions at the time. And they got back to me when they said they would get back to me and went through the process.

They had videos on their website explaining various components of areas where consumers would have questions probably, along the way. So, they obviously have done this for quite some time and learned from past experience as to create all these videos to make the situation less challenging, because it's a difficult process. I'm a person who plans ahead of time and when you ship a car, you can't plan these things ahead of time the way you normally would. If you call and say, "Okay, I'm giving you eight weeks now, so you had plenty of times to set things up,” the broker doesn't get the information until 24 to 48 hours prior by the driver saying, "Okay. I'm going to pick up the car.” Everything is last minute.

One of the things that Ship a Car did was they said they were gonna need a three-day window to make sure that this was all handled properly. I gave them a five-day window but didn't need it. So, that was a good thing because they were able to get the driver in contact with me, within that three-day window that they said they would. And they gave me the driver's number direct. I got to choose whether I wanted that driver or not. Also, they did not take deposits until I authorized that and accepted the driver they assigned. So there were all factors that played into as opposed to some companies that won't take the deposit upfront.

The pick-up went well. It was a 93-foot truck. I had anticipated because I wanted an enclosed vehicle for my two vehicles that I was shipping. And I didn't realize it was going to be a soft cover enclosed. But I could have asked the driver. I just assumed that it was a hard shell enclosed. He came into my development and for a 93-foot truck, that was not an easy task. He manipulated part of the way into the development and then he called me and said he was not gonna be able to get all the way to my house but he was only two blocks from me. So I was able to drive the car to him without difficulty.

The loading of the vehicles, everything went smooth on that end. There was a complication on the delivery end and it was considered on his end that a claim might be put into the insurance company. This would have affected somehow his standings with driving and he got very agitated. I have a Corvette that had 3,000 somewhat miles. It was nearly mint car and there was a very, very small paint chip. On the original bill of letting, he put marks on all the areas he saw. And on his bill of letting, he had this area marked and on our copy, it wasn't there. Now, all the other areas were. He said he would give us 50 bucks and they would call. My wife said the broker said if this happens, she'll pay him in full. There's no holding of payment. But she had to get a note from him saying that this was on the original bill of letting and he just went ballistic.

He started putting the cars back up on his truck and pulled the bill of letting out of her hand. Ultimately, the nephew of the driver held our copy up to the sunlight. Although you couldn't see anything, you could see the impression of PC which was paint chip. And as soon as that was pointed out to her she said, "Fine," and the deal was finished and he drove off and we got our cars.

But the bottom line is, in all honesty, the driver did a good job of getting the cars here. He got them here too early because we told them when we would be here and he was going to drive around with the cars on his truck. So, it was just a miscommunication in the end but I thought the driver was good and the company that hired him was good. Ship a Car Direct did everything they could and they did it well.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I was moving from Texas to California and I needed to ship a 2015 Acura. I have never transported a car before so I asked my colleague what he used when he moved from Maryland to Texas. He said he used Ship a Car Direct and that they were very good. So I blindly ran based on his recommendation. He said he spoke to a person from Ship a Car Direct who introduced him to John, the rep, through an email. So I sent an email to John in general and asked how many days the transport would take and what was the process. He explained it very well and I was comfortable.

During that time, I also Googled a couple of other companies and they started to call me. Some of them were not very instant in giving their quote and some of them were instant but I was not satisfied with the quote they gave me. But when Ship a Car Direct gave me the quote, I was totally happy with it. I was also happy with the app and their customer service was really good. So I was talking to John whenever I had a question, plus their reps were available through chat, text messaging, and email. Overall, the experience was really good.

There was a delay in picking up the car but it didn’t affect me much. I was a little nervous though because I had to fly out that day, so they just picked it up two days later. And when they were delivering it, the driver got sick so they had to deliver it two days after the scheduled date and that bothered me a little bit because I was at a new place and I needed a car. So, I was feeling kinda stuck. I sent an email to Ship a Car Direct saying that the driver was not here and every time I asked them, they said they would call the driver and they sent me the information. But when I called the actual shipping company, they told us that there was nothing that they could do as the car was on the road. So, Ship a Car Direct was at least talking to the driver and letting me know the information.

When the driver arrived with my car, he stopped on a street side and called me half an hour before. Then he called me when he was here and I went outside. I was a little frustrated because there was dirt all over the car and since I did not have any experience in shipping a car, I was not sure that it’s a common practice for every car to have dirt and dust all over when it travels through stuff. Other than that, everything went well and the final cost I paid was the same as the quote they gave me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship a Car Direct?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Excellent service from Scott who was very knowledgeable and kept us informed and updated the whole time. The driver that was assigned to us was very professional and delivered our car in perfect condition and a day earlier than expected, which was great for us. Our son is a medical student doing rotations in different hospitals, and this was, by far, the best experience we have had with moving his car.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

My experience with Ship a Car Direct was excellent. This was my first car-shipping experience and the communication/customer service was particularly helpful. Their website also offers a huge amount of information that make the whole process clear and the damage insurance was very reassuring. I would definitely recommend their services.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

This is the second time we have utilized Ship A Car Direct and both times we have been extremely satisfied. Christina in the office is a true professional who really cares. She is in constant contact with you throughout the process. Having never utilized car carriers in the past I was very nervous for the safety of my car. The driver who picked up “Black Beauty” from TAT Auto Trans, Inc was an experienced and hard working individual who worked into the evening making sure our car was safely onboard. Ship A Car has a great app that allows you to photograph the car from every angle prior to boarding the transport. Overall very happy. Car arrived safe and sound and I felt confident if anything did go wrong we would be covered.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

We’ve done this twice, and have had excellent results both times. From the initial customer service contact, to the interaction with the freight carrier, to the individual service provider, we have been extremely satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I had two weeks to get my vehicle shipped from the location I bought the vehicle to my home. I selected another broker who was available during business hours but did not communicate with me. After waiting 1 week, I switched to ShipACarDirect. The experience was completely different. Regular communication and great customer service. I asked them to speed along the process and without me asking the cut their broker fee and as a result locked up a carrier who delivered the vehicle in a few days. Great experience.

Ship a Car Direct expert review by Lauren Fix

Ship A Car Direct has been shipping cars for customers since 2008. They changed their name from Honesty First Auto Transport, which emphasized the importance of honesty to them, in order to make their services clearer to customers.

• Free added insurance of $500 on every order: Every carrier they use carries the standard insurance coverage for any damage during transit. Ship a Car Direct also offers an additional $500 on every order – free of charge.

• Door-to-door transport: Ship a Car Direct loads your vehicle at your home or other location, transports it on one carrier and unloads it at the new address you specify. You don't have to worry about multiple modes of transport or about where to arrange pickup or delivery when you use this company.

• No upfront fees: Ship a Car Direct does not charge you any fees to place your order. There is no payment due until the carrier who will pick up your vehicle is confirmed.

• Short lead time: If you need to move a vehicle at the last minute, Ship a Car Direct does its best to accommodate your request. At the most, you'll have to wait one to two days to get the process started.

• Cross-country moves available: Ship a Car Direct offers service throughout the USA (except for Alaska), so you can move your vehicle across the country if you need to.

• Best for: Out of state movers and small business owners.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
      Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Ship A Car Direct Company Information