Call toll free
4.92/5
Based on 823 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choose Ship a Car Direct if you're in need of an honest, friendly, and fair priced Car Shipping Service. Every order comes with $500 in added insurance, free of charge. Our job is not just to set you up with one of our Pre-Screened Car Carriers, but also to answer any questions you may have about Vehicle Transportation. We offer both open and enclosed vehicle transport and will accommodate any size. Contact us to get a fair priced quote for shipping your vehicle.

Ship a Car Direct Video
ABBB Rating
View More View More

2850 Ship a Car Direct Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

These guys were very helpful! I had my car transported to Ga from Co and then back to CO within 2 months and my experience both ways with a Ship a Car Direct was terrific. I was very nervous about sending my Mini on its way. Jennifer and the team texted me to check on me during travel time and after delivery so I didn't feel alone in this adventure. They were responsive in a timely manner each time I contacted them as well, which was very important to me.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I used Ship a Car Direct to bring my car up from Boca Raton, Fl to Lawrence, NY. The value was well worth the money. The customer service was terrific. My car was delivered when it said it would be. I was very pleased.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I was moving across the country, from Jersey over to Washington. I looked around on the computer for transport services and I liked what I read on the reviews for Ship a Car Direct. I called up and spoke to a fellow, and he gave me the quote right over the phone. The customer service representatives were very helpful too. They explained everything. The car was picked up very near the place I lived and they brought it very close to where I ended up. So everything worked out really good. The final cost was pretty much the same with the quote and the car arrived unscathed. Everything was wonderful. Ship a Car Direct did right by me and I would tell others to call Ship a Car Direct and see if the company can help them.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Ship a Car Direct are brokers and they set us up with Balsar Transport. The entire process took seven days and our car was delivered without incident. Kosta from Ship a Car was very responsive. Balsar Transport is also highly recommended.

Original review: June 18, 2018

We moved from Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles, California and we shipped two sedans, a Volkswagen and a Ford. We looked at three transport companies and Ship a Car Direct seemed the easiest. Getting a quote with Ship a Car Direct was very easy. If you put your information online, you get 400 phone calls so it was nice that with Ship a Car Direct, it was very simple. The price was right and the representative I worked with was great. She was very helpful although we played phone tag. We went back and forth via voicemails, but I understood because she was in Texas or Florida and our times didn't go off. Besides, she answered my emails right away and I got phoned back quickly.

We wanted our cars to be shipped out on a Monday so that we had them for the weekend. It was a bummer that the driver called and said he needed them on Saturday morning. He made us feel a bit bad but he was in Washington near our home and he wanted the cars right away. We had to scramble to get them to him and rent a car. Then in terms of delivery, we were still in Portland when he delivered so I had my parents pick up the cars. He told them that he would be there at 7:00 pm but he didn’t end up arriving until almost 11:00. It was a bummer for them but I guess you never know how long it's gonna take and it depends on traffic and weather. The cars were filthy but given the fact that they drove through the sun and the rain, that was to be expected. All in all, Ship a Car Direct was very affordable and simple to use. They took all the work out of it for us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship a Car Direct?

Original review: June 17, 2018

I needed to move a Mercedes Benz from one residence to another 800 miles away. I looked at six companies and Ship a Car Direct had the best reviews online. The representative I worked with was great and we had good communication. Getting the quote online also eliminated a bunch of phone calls and I was quicker. The quote was a little low though. Ship a Car Direct said that they couldn’t get anybody to ship it for that low so I had to pay a little more.

James, from JSK Transportation out of Baltimore, picked up the car on Friday afternoon and delivered it on Sunday morning. It wasn’t supposed to be delivered until Monday but he came through and delivered it a day early. It was outstanding and I was really happy. That made up for the price increase. I've recommended Ship a Car Direct to someone who was moving from California to Atlanta and if I know anybody who would use a car transport, I would absolutely recommend Ship a Car Direct again.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Ship a Car Direct was well worth the money and they are a very reliable company. They're in touch with you the whole time and it's very easy. I bought a Mustang Shelby GT350 out of state cause I couldn't find one for a reasonable deal here in California, and I had to ship it from Loudon Motors in Minerva, Ohio. I went to Ship a Car Direct because I was reading all the positive feedback from customers. Furthermore, the customer agent that helped me was excellent. He explained how everything works and just went from there.

Additionally, I was pleased with the price considering it’s so far. I could hardly fly back there and drive the car back for what I paid. While they were able to deliver the car in three days instead of the seven to nine days that it would take, I was a little upset because they were supposed to bring it to Redding, California. Since they showed up early and I couldn't get time off work to go to Sacramento and get it, my wife drove three and a half hours away. It was fine but they didn’t give us much of a break in the price when it saved them an almost eight-hour round trip. They charged us an extra $400 in the quote to bring it to Redding when they didn’t bring it there. Other than that, it was a great experience and I’d definitely use them again.

Original review: June 16, 2018

The whole process was stress free. From the beginning, Matt (initial contact) walked me thru the expected costs and time of pickup and delivery. Got follow up call with trucking company, then driver who arranged delivery time, one hour window. Everything proceeded in a smooth and professional manner. Would definitely call them again for my shipping needs. Thanks again.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I bought a new car and I wasn’t trying to sell it over, so I sent it back to some relatives in Ohio. Ship a Car Direct had the highest rating on the Better Business Bureau and setting up the move up with them was very easy. The rep sent emails and said I could call him whenever I needed to. All the emails were very clear and laid out everything. It showed who I needed to contact for all the different issues I could have. After setting up the move, they were here the next day to get the car. The person who picked it up for me was very friendly and documented everything before letting the car on his transport.

The estimated delivery time was about a week and the car arrived a few days early which was nice, considering the car came from a couple of thousand miles. The only thing I was a little hazy about at first was understanding that this wasn’t the actual company shipping, that I was going to go through someone else, and that I was gonna be paying them directly with cash upon arrival. But later on, I got it so it wasn’t a problem at all. My father received the car and it all went well. They met up in a parking lot close to home and my dad said the driver was right on time. I used their online quote calculator and it was about $150 off the actual ending quote. I would definitely recommend Ship a Car Direct.

Original review: June 15, 2018

My parents live in Tucson, Arizona and were giving me a Subaru Outback so I have to get it across the country. I got quotes from three transport service companies. I got a referral from friends who used Ship a Car Direct recently and the price, responsiveness and reviews made me choose them over the others. The customer service rep was prompt and truthful. He was knowledgeable and he was able to accurately answer the questions I had. I was given a heads up by the driver exactly when to expect him and he arrived in the expected window. The whole transportation took two days which was very quick. We met in a logical place and it was easy to find him. He was there when he said he would be and he was polite. The vehicle was in fine condition too. The quote that I got over the phone was competitive and ended up being accurate. It was a good value and I would recommend Ship a Car Direct.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My son was transferred to McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey so we shipped his wife's car out there. I looked at reviews and I also had a good comfort level with talking Ship a Car Direct. A lot of those places push and constantly bug you – calling, texting and emailing. I didn't like that and Matt was not a pushy person. He was very knowledgeable and I liked talking to him. He also did a great job with the overall experience. The quote was much higher that what it ended up costing us, which was also anywhere from $40 to $300 lower than everyone else. Ship a Car Direct is a reliable company. There were no damages and no problems at all, from start to finish.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Ship a Car Direct was a fantastic company to do business with. They kept us in the loop for the entire transit of our car. They made it easy and was extremely efficient and timely in handling this transaction. We never had to worry about our car being delivered or its condition. I would use them again if I had to transit another car from one end of the country to the other.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I live in Arizona during the winter and in New Jersey during the summer, so I needed the car shipped from Arizona to New Jersey. The reviews of Ship a Car Direct on Transport Reviews had me going with them. I ship every single year, so I know their number. I got in touch with John and asked for a quote. He gave me a quote which was a ballpark figure and I was okay with that. My dealings with the representatives were absolutely fine whenever I had a question. I liked the app and I liked that they got in touch with me and told me what was going on. The transport process went very smoothly. The only driver that I dealt with was the guy who picked up the car and my interactions with him were absolutely fine. There were two drivers and they got the car there in three days, which was amazing, and that worked out perfectly. When I got the car back, it was dirty on the outside since it rained, but it was fine. Ship a Car Direct's service works.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I originally was going to use another company to ship our daughter's car cross country to California. I was quoted a very low price from that company and the day they found me a transporter for the car, the price went up by $600.00. Talk about a bait and switch! I contacted Matt at Ship A Car Direct, explained to him what happened. He found a carrier for her car that day and it arrived in California in 3 days for a really good price. Would definitely use again and won't hesitate to recommend.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I had to ship a car from Reno to St. Louis. Ship a Car Direct was one of the first transport companies that I looked up and they seemed to be very helpful. Also, we got a couple of quotes and they were a couple of hundred dollars cheaper. So, we went with them and I'm glad we did because they were outstanding. The customer service rep, Matt, was awesome. He was very proactive and I could tell that he was working hard in getting our car shipped. I got daily emails on the status of the transport and when I reached out to him, he responded within 10 to 15 minutes.

We met the drivers at the high school and they were fine, and we all saw that the vehicle didn't have any issues. I called the driver a few times and he always answered, and he was always available for the timeline. When I got the vehicle, it was in perfect shape. Overall, the final cost of service was very reasonable because it would cost me more to go out there and fly, then drive the car back. Ship a Car Direct was very reasonable and professional, and I'd tell people to check them out for sure.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I was transporting a family member’s vehicle to where I am and I looked around at different companies for a while. I also read some articles about companies that are most customer service-oriented and did a good job. That was why I chose Ship a Car Direct. I originally filled out the online calculator and the quote was a little bit more expensive than some of the other quotes that I had been getting. But it was worth it for the amount of interaction, communication and promptness and in answering my questions. The last time I transported a car, I did it with a different company and it took a lot longer. There was a little bit less communication so I was happy to pay Ship a Car Direct a little bit more for the extra customer service.

The driver who dropped the car off contacted me a few times to give me the ETA and he was very courteous. There was also no damage from transport. Also, the transport took less than five days and it was very prompt. I was very surprised at how quickly the car arrived after being picked up from Florida since the distance was about 1,000 miles. I definitely was very pleased with the experience.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The office has been very supportive and gave me time to time update on the carrier assignment and the delivery of my car. In future, I would like to avail the service of this company for my car shipment.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I was moving into Louisville and I didn’t want to drive my car. I sent out a quote request to six companies and Ship a Car Direct's quote was very nice but it ended up being more than I was anticipating. But Matt worked so hard and it was organized very last minute on a holiday weekend that I didn’t feel having to pay a little bit more was unreasonable.

I really loved how personable Matt was too. He was very helpful and straight to the point. He knew all about the whole business and philosophy of shipping a car, how you have to go through a broker and how it's challenging to get cars out of Portland. But he worked really hard to find somebody to ship the car to Louisville. I had other companies who were trying to contact me and say Ship a Car Direct's not working hard for me and that I needed to go with their company. When I told Matt about that, he said that he was working hard for me and that those companies were just trying to get me. And I was very proud of that. He's a great guy.

The driver was amazing as well. When I was at the bank and I needed to know what to make the check out to, he responded super quickly to whom exactly and how much money I needed to make the check for. Then he kept me posted when he was getting closer to the delivery site. He got my car to Nashville in two days and although the vehicle was dirty when it arrived, that was understandable. Ultimately, it didn’t have a dent or scratch on it, and it was exactly how I transported it. Ship a Car Direct was amazing and I would tell everybody to go through them.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I was relocating and I had to ship a 2005 Buick Enclave and a ‘96 sedan from Chicago to Florida. I looked at the ratings on the internet and saw good feedback for Ship a Car Direct so I went with them. They continuously communicated with me, so I liked that., and the quote they gave me was 100 percent accurate. They told me all the cost upfront, nothing changed, and everything got here safely. Both cars arrived in great condition and earlier that we expected. They picked them up on a Friday, the cars got here the following Monday.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I was relocating to the West Coast from Pennsylvania and I had to ship two cars and a pickup truck. Ship a Car Direct seemed like a reputable company and they had good references. So, I picked them and I worked with their rep, Renee. She described the whole process and kept me up to date with what was going on. It was a little nerve-wracking that because I had to be out by a certain date until I sold the house but they subcontracted the actual transportation to other companies and they couldn't get one to accept the job initially. But they sorted that about two days before we were moving.

They chose a very good transportation company who picked up and delivered everything up on time. The whole transport took six days which was a little quicker than I thought it was gonna be. Then, a couple of days before the delivery, the driver told me approximate when he would be here. He called again the day before with more accurate information. And on the day of delivery, he let me know when he was getting close and confirmed pretty much to the minute. We had to meet off-site because I didn’t have good access to the property and he was very courteous and professional. At the end of the day, everything worked out great. They also had an app where you could take the photographs of the car before and after in case of any damage and that was nice though I ultimately didn't need it. So, their service had a few extras which I really appreciated as well.

The initial quote they gave me was 38 and I ended up paying 43 because I instructed them to put an extra $500 on it so that we could get a subcontractor to commit because seemed a little bit open-ended as to when exactly one was gonna pick up and I wanted to get it done. So, I agreed to pay a bit more just to get on with it. If I had to have to move a car again, I would go through the same process with the same company. You see a lot of horror stories on the internet and everything worked out as advertised with Ship a car Direct, so I would use them again. I was happy with them. They were pretty straightforward and there was no big surprise in the end.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I changed my address and needed to ship my car. I read some reviews of different shipping companies and Ship A Car Direct has the highest ranking so I decided to move forward with them. I used their online quote calculator and got a quote that was slightly higher than the other companies. But I wanted to do it with some company that has the highest ranking so I didn’t mind to pay extra. I then had interactions with their customer service reps through chats and phone calls and it was perfect. I also communicated with the driver with text message. I got updates about three days before the pickup time and three days before the delivery. It was very easy to communicate with them.

I gave them my new home address for the delivery, but having just moved to that place, I wasn’t sure how busy or quiet that neighborhood is. And I wasn’t sure if he can drive a big trailer in that area. And when I moved into that apartment, I realized that it is really hard to drive that 18-wheeler in that street and deliver a car. So, I then gave my work address and I told the driver that it is a much better place to drop the car as the street is wider and there is not so many traffic. He checked it in Google Maps and he confirmed that he can deliver it there. And all this communication was through text message. And then the final cost, it was equal to the quote I was given. I didn’t expect the whole process to be that easy so I was really surprised. Having the opportunity to communicate with the driver, I had zero worry about the whole process. So, it was a very cool experience.

Hello Ehsan,

We are happy to know we made the whole process easy for you. It has been our pleasure to have served you. Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: June 9, 2018

I was moving cross-country from Ocean Shores, Washington State to Phenix City, Alabama and I was shipping a 2009 Chrysler Town & Country van. A friend of mine had shipped two vehicles with Ship a Car Direct and she highly recommended them. Then, I met with Ship a Car Direct and automatically went to them. I got a price and gave them my credit card number and they kept me advised until the day of the pick up. The quote was reasonable. It went up slightly from a previous quote that my friend got on her van, but that was because gas fluctuates. It was not out of line a whole bunch and it was acceptable.

They were there to pick it up and I was there and everything went off seamlessly. They picked it up the day they said they would and delivered it. Originally, I talked about them taking it to Phenix City, Alabama. But I was flying into Atlanta and it happened that the transport driver lives right outside Atlanta. He drove his transport with my van on it near the Atlanta airport, came and picked me up at the airport and we drove him back to his transport. And I continued on the road and saved my friend having to drive an hour and a half to come pick me up. They were all very professional, very accommodating, and always let me know what was going on. And the van was in excellent condition when I got it. I would highly recommend Ship a Car Direct.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Your company was recommended to us by a work colleague who was very pleased with his dealings with you. He was spot on. We open shipped our car which got from WI to CA in two days, and the exterior was nearly as clean as when we parted with it. David worked hard to find us a shipper and then remained in close contact by email and phone to ensure there prompt and safe delivery of our car. Thank you.

Hello Joan,

We are happy to know that your car has been delivered promptly and safely. Glad to know David did a very good job in assisting you. Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct!

Original review: June 8, 2018

I purchased a 2016 Toyota Highlander, and I needed it brought to my house. I looked at three transport companies, but I used Ship a Car Direct due to their good reviews. I first emailed and Matt called me and explained what the process was. He was very helpful and he handled my situation very well. He really kept me updated and informed, and he was very upfront about everything. The quote I got ended up being about $50 off. But Matt called me and told me that it’s the carrier that he was able to get. So they wanted a little more and Matt asked me if it was fine. The transport took about four days. The carrier called me and told me what time they would be at the house. And they were right on time and they were very nice and cordial. They unloaded the car and everything went as it should. Ship a Car Direct is a great company, and I strongly recommend them.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We had Ship a Car Direct return my son's Honda Accord back from college, about 900 miles away. Their rep Jennifer was very helpful each time I called. I was impressed with her honesty and when I had questions, she answered them. They gave us a quote which was comparable with other companies' and ended up to be very accurate. Jennifer also told me about a rebate once the car was brought back home and paid for. And that was also correct and credited to my account.

I also spoke to the driver when he met my son at the college. The driver told me exactly what he was doing and roughly how long it was gonna take for me to get the car. It took about four days since he had stops and once he got to my area he called me and delivered the car like he said he was going to. The car was in excellent condition when he dropped it off. I would definitely use Ship a Car Direct again and would tell people to use them too.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I bought a Saab Station Wagon in a different state and I needed to transport it 1,100 miles. I looked at five other companies but I liked that Ship A Car Direct sent emails about the process and what to expect. Also, I had other responders who were lower and some were higher but I went with the company who had good reviews and that was middle of the range. I didn’t want to pick the cheapest nor the most expensive. Renee, the woman I dealt with, gave me the suggested price and she called me the next day and told me that she hasn’t done the route before, it’s out of the way and she underbid it. She talked to her colleague who knew the route better who confirmed that she underbid it. So, they told me what the price should have been from the beginning and they offered to split it with me. They will put in 150 bucks and told me that if I put an extra 100 bucks, she said we would get a bidder.

They put in some of their money and we got a driver within a couple of hours. They weren’t trying to low bid it. It was awesome. They had the dispatcher call me and then they gave me the driver's phone number and then the driver called me. They told me when they were heading out when I was talking to the person on the other end and told me when they picked it up. They said it will be 24 hours approximately and then four hours before they came, the driver called me and told me when he would be here. It was great when I thought they would come. He was right on time, to the minute.

The dispatcher and the driver communicated well with me. They got the driver within a few hours and then they picked it up in the late afternoon. We picked up the next morning and then the next day I had it. I was very happy with the experience and they are a great company. I'm sure I need Ship A Car at some point in the future. I'll definitely use them again and I would recommend them.

Hello Sean,

We are happy to know that Renee did a very good job assisting you. We are also glad to hear that you were very happy with your experience. Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: June 7, 2018

I was getting ready to relocate and I needed my Chevy Sonic to be transported from New York to Las Vegas. I went online and checked about three companies and I got a general idea as to what it would cost from doing those researches from online. But I was also looking at a reputable company. Ship a Car Direct had excellent reviews, so I used them. And the reviews speak for themselves. Ship a Car was really fantastic. I’m really glad that I went with them. The transaction was very easy. And I love the videos online, which gave me informative information as to what to expect. Their customer service reps were very knowledgeable, too. And Renee was very proactive and she kept me informed. Also, the quote I got from Ship a Car was excellent and accurate, and I’m very happy with it.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I am a return users of Shipping a Car Direct. I really like Stefan's quickly response. My car is picked up on time and delivered on time. The carrier check detail of my car and take photos from different angle to make sure we have no arguments.

Hello YJ,

We are glad to know everything went well with the transport of your vehicle. Glad to hear as well that Stefan was able to quickly response to your queries. Thank you so much for choosing Ship A Car Direct!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I bought a classic Mini Cooper and it was in Texas. So, I shipped it to California. I looked into five different transport companies and I really liked how quick Ship a Car Direct were at responding to me. Plus, they had really good reviews online. So, even if they were a bit more expensive than others, I preferred to pay that little extra and went with them.

I was very happy with their service. They handled the transport pretty well because it was an easy and smooth transaction. The quote they initially gave me was fair and it was the same amount I paid in the end. Also, I was really surprised they got the truck schedule to pick my car up. It was within the day of me paying, so that was really cool and I liked that part. And when my car was delivered, it was dirty, which was expected, but had no damage. It arrived after three days and the delivery driver was a nice guy. Ship a Car Direct is a great company and if you’re willing to spend a little bit more, it’s well worth it. They’re very fast as well.

Hello Sammer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to know that you were very happy with the service we provided. It has been our pleasure to have served you. Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: June 5, 2018

Ship a Car Direct exceeded my expectations on the service they provided. I had called several companies to get a car shipped from Payson Arizona to Jacksonville Florida as quickly as possible. Ship a Car Direct was honest about what my expectations should be as Payson was a touch location. They provided a quote based on my request and once I booked, I heard back from them the very next day with an estimated pick up date and delivery date. The vehicle was picked up within 4 days and received my vehicle 3 days later. Throughout the process Ship a Car direct sent constant email update and tips to help with the process. The cost was exactly what they quoted. I would absolutely use them again in the future if I need another vehicle transported.

Hello Lawrence,

We are very happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations with the level of service we provided. Looking forward to server you again soon. Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct!

Ship a Car Direct expert review by Lauren Fix

Ship A Car Direct has been shipping cars for customers since 2008. They changed their name from Honesty First Auto Transport, which emphasized the importance of honesty to them, in order to make their services clearer to customers.

• Free added insurance of $500 on every order: Every carrier they use carries the standard insurance coverage for any damage during transit. Ship a Car Direct also offers an additional $500 on every order – free of charge.

• Door-to-door transport: Ship a Car Direct loads your vehicle at your home or other location, transports it on one carrier and unloads it at the new address you specify. You don't have to worry about multiple modes of transport or about where to arrange pickup or delivery when you use this company.

• No upfront fees: Ship a Car Direct does not charge you any fees to place your order. There is no payment due until the carrier who will pick up your vehicle is confirmed.

• Short lead time: If you need to move a vehicle at the last minute, Ship a Car Direct does its best to accommodate your request. At the most, you'll have to wait one to two days to get the process started.

• Cross-country moves available: Ship a Car Direct offers service throughout the USA (except for Alaska), so you can move your vehicle across the country if you need to.

• Best for: Out of state movers and small business owners.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Ship a Car Direct Company Information