2. Auto Transporters

Ship a Car Direct

Ship A Car Direct
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.88/5

Ship Your Car

Ship A Car Direct is an auto transport broker that sets customers up with one of its pre-screened car carriers and answers any questions clients have about vehicle transportation. The company offers open and enclosed vehicle transport and accommodates any size of vehicle.

BOTTOM LINE

Ship A Car Direct works with a network of auto transporters to provide door-to-door car shipping. The company offers transport in open or closed carriers.

PROS

• Door-to-door shipping
    • No upfront deposit required
    • $500 built-in insurance

CONS

• No terminal-to-terminal shipping

Top Ship A Car Direct Reviews

I used Ship A Car Direct to ship my 2 cars. The rates were not very low or high. But selected them based on the reviews … The cars were delivered safely and much quicker. I am very pleased with the experience and will definitely use them again in future.

Ship Your Car

What is Ship A Car Direct?

Ship A Car Direct is an auto transport broker that connects customers with auto carriers. Ship A Car Direct offers door-to-door shipping and free estimates. You don’t need to provide any contact information to receive a rough estimate, though detailed estimates require additional information. Prices vary based on distance, vehicle type and time of year.

Ship A Car Direct cost

Costs vary based on several factors, but expect to pay $400 to $700 to move a sedan across several states and anywhere from $900 to $1,300 for a cross-country trip. The company charges up to 50% more for enclosed-carrier shipping, which helps protect valuable or antique cars — this is standard for most car shipping companies. To get a more accurate idea of what it costs to haul your car, use the quote estimator on the company’s website. For an exact quote, call and speak to an agent. Ship A Car Direct does not charge upfront fees.

Ship A Car Direct also offers $500 of insurance against damage. So, if a carrier damages your vehicle and its insurance doesn’t cover the damage or won’t pay, Ship A Car Direct covers up to $500 of that damage.

Ship A Car Direct transport options

With Ship A Car Direct, you can personalize your auto transport to match your needs. The only exception is when it comes to the pickup and drop-off method. Ship A Car Direct only offers door-to-door shipping, not terminal-to-terminal shipping.

• Enclosed shipping: If you want your car to have extra protection during transport, opt for enclosed shipping. This means your vehicle is protected from the elements in a container. Open shipping, the default option, is cheaper but doesn’t offer as much protection.
      • Door-to-door shipping: Ship A Car Direct’s deliveries are always door to door, meaning it picks up your vehicle at your home and drops it off directly at its destination. It does not offer terminal-to-terminal shipping, which is when a carrier picks up your car at a nearby terminal and drops it off at another one close to your destination.
      • Cross-country shipping: Ship A Car Direct offers service throughout the U.S. (except Alaska), so you can move your vehicle cross-country if needed. Expect this to take between one and two weeks.
      • Interstate shipping: If you’re moving your vehicle across a few states, expect it to take from four days to a week.
      • Expedited shipping: If you need to ship a car at the last minute, Ship A Car Direct can handle it. Just keep in mind that it costs more than a move planned further in advance.

Ship A Car Direct FAQ

How does Ship A Car Direct work?
      Ship A Car Direct is an auto transport broker, which means it works within its network to find you a reliable auto carrier. In return, you pay Ship A Car Direct a fee, which is typically worth it because an auto transport brokers’ expertise makes the experience much easier.
      Does Ship A Car Direct have a damage-free guarantee?
      Yes. If your car is damaged and the carrier won’t cover it, then Ship A Car Direct covers up to $500 in damage.
      Does Ship A Car Direct require an upfront deposit?
      No. Payment isn’t required until Ship A Car Direct confirms your carrier and shipping dates.

Do we recommend Ship A Car Direct?

We recommend Ship A Car Direct — its customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and we also like that it provides rough estimates of how much it costs to ship a car without requiring contact information. That’s a rare feature among auto shippers. Its damage-free guarantee and door-to-door shipping are also standout features.

Ship A Car Direct Reviews

Original review: April 4, 2019

I bought a car off and I needed to bring it up from Missouri. I happened to find Ship a Car Direct's name at the top of the list and I did some research on them. Since I hadn’t used transport before, they sounded like they’ve been at it and they knew what they were doing, so I went with them. The interactions that I had with the people that I initially spoke with were super. The guy that I talked to was Matt, then some other people came in as the process went on and I had more people standing by if I needed help or something went wrong. They followed through the whole way. I was not alone in it.

The process went smoother than I thought it would go and the actual driver they had was phenomenal. It was super on my father’s end when he picked it up and it was also super on my end when he dropped it off. He gave my father a time when he’d show up and he gave a time for me as well. The driver was right on time and was phenomenal. He couldn’t have been a nicer guy. The whole process could have been a nightmare. I was stressed because I figured there were gonna be some problems, but it couldn’t have gone any smoother than it did. It turned out to be one of the best things and the easiest things I’ve done. The process almost took care of itself. It went so smoothly. It was one of the easiest things I’ve ever done considering there was distance involved in bringing something up that I had nothing to do with, and it went well. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

I was so thrilled with the transport people, the guy, and with Ship a Car Direct themselves. I never had an issue. The whole experience was great. I almost wanted to find another one to bring up. If I needed to bring a car up or bring a car or ship it somewhere, I would go through Ship a Car and I wouldn’t even think twice. If anybody’s gonna move a vehicle, I wouldn’t even hesitate.

Hello Rick,

We are happy to know that your whole transport experience was great! Thank you for choosing Ship A Car Direct!

Original review: April 3, 2019

My experience with Ship a Car Direct was fantastic. I live in Arizona and I found a vehicle I wanted in Boston. However, I did not want to fly out and drive it home. I had to use a vehicle transport and I considered 4 companies. I had a friend locally and he does a lot of car shipping from other states to Arizona. He referred me to a local person and I called them and talked with them first. I got a price from them then I looked online and called the top couple that were just wherever Google search led me, and compared the phone conversation and the pricing. I liked best what I heard from Jennifer and she was sweet, easy to deal with, and gave quick responses. There were lots of auto-generated emails that were time populated saying, “Okay, you’ve done this step. Now, we’re gonna send you this,” “Okay, your car has been picked up. Now, we’re gonna send you this,” so it was really clear.

Also, a couple of the videos from Ship a Car Direct that I watched were well done and those helped me understand the process as I was someone who had never done shipping a vehicle before. Then, I also spoke to another male rep and asked if I should contact the carrier driver as I haven’t heard from him and he told me to give him another day. And sure enough, he contacted me. So, I've had great interactions with them.

The pick up and delivery was so smooth and there were lots of communication with the dealership. There were two dealerships so I had two cars picked up at the same time from two different dealerships. I communicated with them, they communicated with me, and they communicated with the driver. The cars got picked up with no problem late Saturday and dropped off on Thursday. The driver had originally told me it would take six days and Jennifer also told me it takes six or seven days ‘cause it’s coming from all the way on the other side of the universe. So, the time estimate was spot on and he was earlier than what was said. He also communicated when he would be here and it was super accurate. Then he dropped the cars off, he shook my hand, I gave him some cash, and we were a done deal. The driver was so great that when I sold one of my vehicles about a week after getting them to someone in Ohio, I recommended him to them.

Hello Jason,

We are delighted to know that your experience with Ship A Car Direct was fantastic. Thank you so much for your recommendations!

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

It's not easy at all to choose a transport company. Everybody is horrible. It's so cutthroat and nasty out there. If you don't know what you're doing or you don’t have the right person in place, you can be screwed. Shipping a car is a scary thing to do especially when you got a $100,000 car that you’re moving. I talked to a lot of people and they have lots of promises. I purchased a car and it sat there in the car lot for a month. I looked at the reviews on Ship a Car Direct and it sounds like it’s a big company and it sounds good. But then, you can’t trust them because I was hearing that they have fake reviews out there, and they pay people to put reviews. I heard all that before so I don’t trust anybody. But I looked at reviews, I looked at the BBB, and Ship a Car Direct looked legit.

I called up the girl, her name is Jennifer, and told her what I want to do. She was awesome. I called her and she’d answer. If I emailed her, she answered as well, and that was tough. In addition, she was honest and she didn’t bash any other car shippers as everyone else did. She was just, “Here’s what we got,” and she didn’t put anybody down. She even gave me a price deduction. She was like, “Hey, we’ll only charge you this amount of fees.” Within less than a week, I had a driver. I talked to the driver and brought my car. He too was awesome. I called and he’d answer right away. I text him, he’d text me back. I have no anxiety about where my car is at. I was at the gym and so he dropped it off at the gym.

Since I live literally down the road, I asked him if he can help me drive my car and he helped me out. Back when I bought the car, I told the people there to be honest with me. I asked them to walk around the car and if there's minor damage, I need to know. After all, I'm expecting scratches. And they’re like, “Nope, there’s nothing wrong with it.” But when the driver got here, he brought all the scratches out and there was a lot more than I thought. But he already had them marked down and had the car lot sign off on them.

So, it’s nothing that he had later. It was before, like a pre-delivery check. The driver probably did it to cover his own. He didn’t wanna see something not on there and then get here, and then I see it and he can get blamed for it. But he did a good job. I had an excellent experience with Ship A Car Direct. I’m happy with them, 100%. They did a good job of finding me the right driver and interviewing them. If I have to use Ship a Car Direct again, I would call the same person back. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I was moving from California back home to Connecticut and I had to transport a 2011 Hyundai Sonata as well as a 2013 Nissan Altima. I have used Ship a Car Direct before when I moved to California and the transport went great. The guy who picked up the car, as well as the one who dropped it off was super nice. But this time, I was helped out by Scott and he helped me the entire way through. He gave me his phone number and helped me even when I didn't set it up yet. I blew up the guy’s phone, calling him all the time and he always answered it. If not, he'd give me a quick call back and was never annoyed with me even though I have a million questions.

When I first set it up, I was given a quick quote but Scott called me and he let me know basically what he was guessing. I had been planning to move for a year and I called Scott three months before I actually set everything up. He made a quick estimate of what the cost might be, but he said that it was not even worth setting it up right at the time because the way that the whole system works, they don’t look at the actual appointments until like a week before. I would call and ask if it was a good time to do it but he told me to wait until December and it should be good.

The quote I was given was at $1,200 and it ended up like another 200 just because it was taking a while for the companies to send a person out to do it. He said that the first company to take it wanted another 200 extra which was fine with me and I think they can get it out as soon as we need it to. Then, we tried to get the vehicle picked up before I left California. But since there was stuff going on in the area, I ended leaving and then, it got picked up. All I had to do was to give the keys over to my girlfriend and she didn't need to sign anything. The guy picked it up, loaded up the cars and brought them halfway through.

There was a checkpoint where they switched off the cars and another person brought it the rest of the way. I was told that it would take up to like 10 to 11 days but it was quicker than that. When the guy came, I paid in cash and talked to him. He was super nice. The cars came perfectly fine, other than it was a little dirty, which makes sense because it was not an enclosed space. I got them washed and it was perfectly fine. Scott handled everything and was always helping me out the whole way. For me, he was the calm in the eye of the storm.

Hello Romeo,

We are so happy to know that Scott handled everything and was always helping you. Thank you for trusting Ship A Car Direct! :)

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I had a very positive experience with Ship a Car Direct. I was having some work done on my vehicle with a trusted supplier so I had to get it shipped to them since I didn't have the time to drive it down. I went into a couple different websites and put my information in. Ship a Car Direct has quite a few positive reviews on the first website I've looked up and they have a stellar mark on Better Business Bureau as well. Once I saw the combination of what Ship a Car Direct had on the auto transport website, in addition to the Better Business Bureau, and combined with the fact that I had my phone conversation with my sales rep, it was a no-brainer.

One thing I found from talking to someone from Ship a Car Direct was that they walked me through and told me what their cut was as well as the driver's cut. From that one conversation that I had, there was nothing left that wasn't covered. They were very transparent. A lot of times, from what I read, people would say that they agreed on such price but the driver who picked up their car expected more. The rep at Ship a Car Direct explained why that is and that it all goes out to a bid. Without that transparency, people would not know what they agreed to with the driver, so that was critical.

After a few days from posting, we weren't getting any bites in terms of anyone saying that they would pick up the car and it was because the price wasn't set up correctly. They said that they decreased their fees a bit to help offset that, which I thought was cool. Based on the fact that it was all transparency, everything worked out. I was made aware of the entire time when we had to increase the price. I had the ultimate say whether or not to keep it at the current price and let it go another day or two, or a week even, to see if any shipper would pick it up or not.

On the day of pick up, the driver was great. He called me in advance when he was on his way. He also called me when he was three minutes out. I had the car ready for him and he loaded it up in 15 minutes. We went through the entire vehicle to assess if there were any issues on the vehicle itself. There was nothing there and everything went very smooth.

Hello John,

We are delighted to know that everything went smoothly with the transport of your vehicle. We are so happy to know that you had a very positive experience with Ship A Car Direct! :)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship A Car Direct?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Ship a Car Direct did a very effective job of coordinating shipment of my vehicle. They identified and engaged a reputable shipper that timely picked up my automobile in Los Angeles and delivered it to Denver in perfect condition, but for it being dirty. The price was reasonable. Communications are very quick and responsive, and I received frequent status updates. I would recommend their service to a friend.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Our car was transported from Blaine WA to Palm Springs CA. From start to finish the communication was excellent. The driver delivered our car once our plane landed. The experience was excellent and the driver so professional, friendly and helpful.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I had a Hyundai Elantra 2010 (gray Color) Shipped from New York City NY, At 1st I thought there will be delays, because the Guy That was originally handling our shipping was out of the Company, But David Picked up our case and acted on it very quickly and efficiently. He coordinated the shipment from my Uncle's place in NYC and communicated with him. After about 5 days the car arrived in Texas safely, and damage free. As the Trailer truck is quite big - He parked at the main road and drove the car to the street and delivered the Car In front of our house. We were being updated while the vehicle was in transit. I could not ask for a better service. They were UP FRONT with the money transaction - NO hidden charges. I will Recommend to friends and aquiantances.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I used Ship A Car Direct to ship my 2 cars. The rates were not very low or high. But selected them based on the reviews. After I confirmed the shipping with them, the level of communication I got was Excellent. At each stage I was informed what's happening and what will happen next. Also they were able to accommodate the request while finalizing the carrier. The carrier was excellent. The cars were delivered safely and much quicker. I am very pleased with the experience and will definitely use them again in future.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

The entire process of car shipment from Illinois to California could not have been easier from initial contact to final delivery. Everything happened exactly as described and at a lower price than other services I’ve used that were much less user-friendly.

Not sure about Ship A Car Direct?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right auto transporter for you.

Ship A Car Direct Company Information