Ship A Car Direct
Call toll free
4.94/5

Ship a Car Direct

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choose Ship a Car Direct if you're in need of an honest, friendly, and fair priced Car Shipping Service. Every order comes with $500 in added insurance, free of charge. Our job is not just to set you up with one of our Pre-Screened Car Carriers, but also to answer any questions you may have about Vehicle Transportation. We offer both open and enclosed vehicle transport and will accommodate any size. Contact us to get a fair priced quote for shipping your vehicle.

Ship a Car Direct Video
ABBB Rating
View More View More

3233 Ship A Car Direct Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

My experience with Ship a Car Direct was Amazing. Super smooth. My Service representative John kept me up to speed every step of the with emails and phone calls pick up and delivery was on time. Again they truly did a great job :).

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I needed a transport service for my move from Texas to California and I looked at many companies. Ship a Car Direct gave me a good price and the quote was competitive. Interacting with their customer service rep was good and they shared the driver information with me. The driver was in contact with me all the way when needed. He was honest and he was able to let me know all the things beforehand such as what the process was gonna be, and he did exactly what he said.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Shipping through Ship A Car Direct was painless and worry free. Our daughter’s ‘79 Camero was shipped within a couple days of contacting them and arrived earlier than estimated. They kept us informed throughout the process and the car arrived without any issues. I highly recommend!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Best shipping experience I've had yet! I've shipped 6 cars over the past several years and all have been nightmares with overpromising, underdelivering with the exception of this most recent with Ship a Car Direct. Matt was friendly and honest and they got my vehicle to me from 2000 miles away in 8 days when I was expecting 2-3 weeks. I have found my shipping company for life!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My partner and I were doing a cross country move and needed to ship an SUV. Ship A Car was the least expensive of all quotes, super professional and got the car to us within 1 week. Would highly recommend!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ship a Car Direct?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I was very nervous having a car shipped 800 miles and I purchased the car sight unseen. They were very helpful start to finish on the transaction and guided me thru the process. I now feel like an expert. The car arrived on time and without incident. I would not hesitate to use them again and you should too. Keep in mind they are only a broker and each trucker is independent. Their job is to weed out the unscrupulous ones.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My son wanted to move from Virginia to Texas and I shortlisted Ship the Car Direct. When I submitted a request through Google I got hundreds of replies and phone calls and was really scared about it. When I called him he explained they are the brokers and they are going to find me a right shipper based on our data. He also explained how the process is going to look like, that we would tell them when we want to ship and have the car picked up. He explained how they were gonna charge me in the front.

I was skeptical about what was going to work because I was also talking to another shipper. But finally, I decide to commit to him just based on his email and the list of emails changed. It looked like that the process is little bit streamlined. I also looked at the comments about them from various sites. And then he said that, “Once you committed, I’m going to find the shipper. But once I find the shipper, you have to pay this amount of money, that first phase, and then rest of the money you pay directly there.”

And then he called me and said that, “Afternoon Saturday, you are ready to go, and this is when the guy’s going to come, this car is going to be shipped.” And then I also got the shipper’s details, who the contact person, then he emailed details. I was feeling little more comfortable because now I was getting the responses one after another. The driver called and said that, “I’m going to come in the afternoon. I said that, “Great.” And he said that, “Probably, I’ll come in the afternoon because I don’t want to have traffic.” And he didn’t come. I called him, and he said that, “No, no, I think there are issues there, traffic today. I’ll come tomorrow.”

He said that he was going to come at 3 o’clock. Probably he came at around 4 o’clock. Me and my son went there, dropped the car. He inspected the car and checked every single thing, and he said that, “Here’s the number, and this is the day.” And I told him that, “I need the car on Monday, and I’m going to call you.” He said not to worry and that my car would be there. I booked another rental car for my son just in case, based on the comments that it takes very long time.

I called the driver and he said it was our choice when we would pick up the car. I realized that he was already there, and I canceled my rental. I told him that I could pick up the car. I gave the office address of my son, where he works. And I told him where he was staying and it was in a hotel. He said that he could drop it there and just make sure that there is enough area where the vehicle could go. He went there around 8 o’clock and this was one day early because I thought that my son could use that vehicle.

Everything was pretty smooth. In between, we also got a text and email messages regarding, “Hey guys, you could upload the car’s photos and every single thing just in case if your vehicle is damaged. So, we have the details and then we could do it.” I was feeling very much comfortable, and then the process just worked right on the money. I was extremely, extremely happy. And I never thought that it could be this easy. I will definitely recommend eShip again and again. If I will be using a transport company tomorrow, I’ll just use them.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I bought a new truck and I need to send my old one to my son-in-law. I saw great ratings online for Ship A Car Direct so I went with them and most of their sign-up process was done online. I talked to their customer service rep once on the phone and it went very smoothly. His level of customer service was great. Moreover, the quote calculator for the price range came out with an exact number and it was the number that came out at the end. The actual driver was spectacular and very professional. He picked up the truck at the shop and when my daughter and son-in-law picked it up, he was great as well. I was quoted a timeline for three to five days and he was there at two and a quarter. I would definitely recommend a friend to use Ship A Car Direct. They did exactly what they promised and the driver bent over backward to get the truck in Missouri.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I was moving from California to Florida and in deciding to go with Ship a Car Direct, I mostly liked the pricing. I worked with John and he was very helpful. He kept in touch by sending emails and he told me that I had a carrier. The transport took seven days. I was able to text the driver and the delivery went well. They couldn't get in my development because it's a gated community. But they dropped the vehicle off as close to my house as they could get.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I was moving from East Coast to West Coast and my friend told me about Ship a Car Direct. I talked to a rep and it was nice. He followed up regularly and he was responsive. The driver also did well. He looked for me before he came to pick up the car and he notified me before it arrived. The delivery took five days and it's reasonable.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I was buying a new car and it had to be transported from Chicago to San Diego. I looked at a handful of companies and I went with Ship a Car because of the readings I found online as well as the quote they gave. After I requested a quote, I got an email from them. I called with a few questions and the reps were able to answer. They were clear about what the steps that would happen would be. When the car was unloaded, I signed a form noting that I received it and checking for damages.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I moved from Texas to Maine and it was very far so I didn't want to drive the car on my own. My friend had used Ship a Car Direct when he moved from New Jersey to Texas and since he was my long-time friend, I didn't have any second thoughts. I also read the review comments and they were all good. I called them and they were very accommodating. I had to leave early from Texas and I wouldn't be there in person to ship the car. They gave two of my friends’ names who shipped the car on my behalf and everything was good. The people at Ship a Car Direct were all good and nice. They were awesome.

The car was delivered one day before the day they planned to give it to me. The driver unloaded it himself and handed the keys over. But he was asking for cash on delivery and I didn't have the cash on hand. So I spoke to the customer care and I asked them to take the money from my American Express. They took it and it was good. I was worried about the car but it came in good condition. There were no dings and that is why I'm happy with it. The service was worth it and they did not change the price from the quote either. It was about $1,085. The price depends on the miles. My friend shipped from Ohio to Maine and they got it for $800. But mine was far and I didn't mind. Reasonably, the price was good and Ship a Car Direct was outstanding. I had an excellent experience.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I needed a car up here in New York from Florida and I saw Ship a Car Direct on social media. They delivered the car and everything was fine. They were very efficient and I recommended them already.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I purchased a 2007 Lotus in New York and I needed it shipped to Detroit. Ship a Car Direct had competitive pricing and they seemed to have decent reviews and professional online presence. I made a handful of phone calls and for the most part, I had good interactions with their reps. However, I had to reach out to find out what was going on rather than getting regular updates of the status of the actual shipment. After making the reservation, I would have liked to see updates on an every other day basis because at that point, I was expecting the car to be set up any day. The first communication I had was about a week and a half after the car was picked up. I got an e-mail saying that they were still working on it. Other than that, their reps were cordial and fine.

The final cost was exactly the same as the quote, and it was reasonable. I booked the transport two weeks ahead of the first available pick-up date and then they were able to find a transport a little after two weeks after the first available pick-up date, and then it was transported within a day. I was expecting it to be picked up a little bit sooner but I was also expecting it to take a little bit longer to transport it, so it worked out fine.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My friend referred me to Ship a Car Direct, so I decided to try them. Their representative whom I spoke with was good. There was just a little problem as it took four days to find a trucker for me. Still, their driver was good. They contacted the rep, and the rep sent me a message when they will arrive. They checked the car and marked something on a paper sheet. Then I just handed them the car. The whole process was smooth. I used their quote calculator and their price was fair. Overall, I had a good experience with the company and I have since referred a friend to them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My brother had a Volkswagen that he did not need and he was gonna give it to me as a gift. Since he has used Ship A Car Direct before and had a very good experience, I went with them based on his recommendation and got them to transport the car 1,850 miles, from Mesa, Arizona to Naperville, Illinois. The customer service team was fantastic and very thorough. If I had a couple of questions after I got off the phone with them, I would email them and they would get back to me in hours. It was excellent customer service. Initially, I got the quote online, but then, the primary person or the owner called me back to follow up, saying that it was a rough quote. They were a third-party and they arranged the shipping. The rep got back to me a day or two later and said he found a truck for me and it was the same quote he gave me.

When the car was picked up from my brother’s end, he said it was excellent and quick. The driver came during the two-hour window they promised they would come. They walked around the vehicle, took some pictures, and then loaded the car which was a 5-minute thing. They came a day early for the delivery because the truck was in already but I happened to be available, so that was fine. They gave me a two-hour window and said they would be here at that time, and once again, they were. The car was delivered on a flatbed, so they must've taken the car off and put it on a flatbed and brought it to my neighborhood.

The Ship A Car Direct team was very professional and dealing with them was easy. When transporting a car, we want it in the same condition it was sent and when it arrived, it was fine. There was no damage at all. Ship A Car Direct met all my expectations and the original quote was 100% on the button upon delivery of the vehicle. Their service was well worth the cost.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I was moving and I needed to have my RAV4 2015 transported from Maryland to Texas. I looked at many transport companies and when I read the reviews, Ship a Car Direct attracted me. David was always checking with me if I was okay, and he assured me that the car would be picked up on time. He wanted to make sure the car was cleaned up. He called me earlier and told me when the car was coming. When I was talking with him, he said it will take five or six days to have my car, but I was surprised that after two days, I got my car. I was happy. The driver called me and told me he would be here around 5:00 pm, but around 4:00, he called me and said sorry and told me that he would be late. He would come around 7:00. At 7:00, he called me and said he’s at the address. I got my car in good condition, too.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

When I was moving to Georgia, the competency and friendliness of the person from Ship A Car Direct that called me after I did my little internet search and inquired sealed the deal for me. I was quoted a much higher price by our moving company, so I was surprised that it could be done for that lower price. The interactions I had with their rep were superb. She was very courteous, communicative, and knowledgeable. The whole firm did a great job, and I was fully informed throughout the entire process. I got a note, an email, a call or had the ability to call should I have any questions.

On the delivery side, we had to leave the home a little earlier than what we thought. The driver was fine and I got communications from him, either an email or a text. He texted me where he was throughout the journey, just when he was getting close. He personally called me and let me know he was in the area and what time to expect them, so I felt very good about the driver. He was very professional and also communicative.

I had an unexpectedly very pleasant experience that was a rarity these days because of the level of, not only commitment but more importantly, communication. There's a number of organizations that we could all deal with that are competent. They have their act together and got the right stuff. But the communication sometimes leaves us wondering whether we made the right the decision. For that reason, this seemed to allay any and all anxieties I might have about shipping my car with somebody for the first time that I was unfamiliar with.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I moved from Massachusetts to Texas and was shipping my Honda Accord. Ship a Car Direct had good reviews and I also got a sense that they were solid. I got a quote which was close to all the others and to what I expected. Everything went exactly as planned. Also, their reps kept in touch with me. The delivery of the vehicle went very well and they were ahead of schedule. The truck driver contacted me and arranged the meeting. It went super smoothly. Ship a Car Direct was marvelous and I had a wonderful experience with them.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I spend winters in Florida so I needed my Jeep Cherokee there. I used a transport company last year and I did not have a very good experience, so I called Ship a Car Direct on the way back to ship my car from Florida back to Jersey. I used them again this year. Ship a Car Direct's customer service was excellent. I dealt with John and he followed up, sent me e-mails, and I didn’t have to guess what was going on and what he said that was going to happen happened. The price for the transport was fine, and the delivery of my Jeep went perfectly both times.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I needed a transport service for a move across country, from D.C. to San Diego. Initially, I used Roadrunner who took my money and never showed up, and they would never answer the phone which left me hanging. I called Ship A Car Direct because they were the next best deal I had, and they saved me. Moving across country, you don’t have a huge window and you gotta pick things up. They met my pick up window and met the same price. Also, the rep was outstanding. I told her my story and what I needed to do, and she delivered. She also updated me two or three times a day as to whether or not I was on the manifest and who the driver was. The company that they coordinated for me showed up where they told me to, was on time, picked everything up and got it out of there within an hour.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I purchased a car from my brother who lives in Maryland. The first thing I did was google shipping a car, and I made the mistake of clicking on one of those ads and getting a quote. Then I was bombarded with hundreds of emails and texts for a week or two. I finally found Ship A Car Direct and worked with them directly. I felt comfortable working with them. And also, they were a local company here in Colorado. The customer service rep was great. It was a very easy process. He emailed me a quote. When I was ready to ship the car, I just responded to his email and within about 48 hours, a driver was assigned, and my car was picked up. The driver gave me a timeline and he stayed in touch with me. I would recommend Ship A Car Direct. Their process was easy and the prices were reasonable.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

The Ship-A-Car Direct team provided very good communications from initial contact to follow-up. Hooked me up with an enclosed car carrier, who also agreed to carry spares that came with the car, including 5 spare tires/wheels. I knew where the car was at all times. Had an nice phone app that took and organized a set of before and after transport pictures.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

My experience with Ship a Car Direct was very positive. I needed to transport a Bronco from North Carolina to New Jersey and I chose Ship a Car Direct for the ratings. Their customer service representatives were very prompt, efficient and friendly. Renee was awesome. She kept me up to date on everything. From beginning to end, transport of two days was what I requested. I could've done 24 hours but my son-in-law and daughter were being moved from one military base to another and Ship a Car Direct was courteous enough to give a two-day delivery so my son-in-law and daughter could get settled before the Bronco arrived. My son-in-law was there for the delivery and he took care of it. Everything worked out great. The driver came in and delivered exactly on time.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I was moving and needed to transport my car from Wisconsin to Washington. I looked at four transport companies. I checked Ship a Car Direct's reviews online and called them after. Their reviews were good and their price was awesome. With the other competitors, I was doubtful if things would be fine. Ship a Car Direct's rep was able to give me a quotation when I called. He said that he would be my traveling point-of-contact if I chose to go with Ship a Car Direct. They sent me a link to make the payment and scheduled my transportation. They updated regularly whenever my car was assigned for a pickup. I was in the know.

The process from pickup to delivery took a week. We were coming in via flight so we were going to come at a different time than the actual plan of delivery. The car was delivered a day late than what we expected but it went fine. I was in touch with the driver and he was able to drop the car off after some minutes of waiting. It would have been nice though if the car was delivered on time because we didn’t have a car for a day or two when we came here. Other than that, the car was fine and I didn’t notice any significant scratches or dents. Also, I paid the same price that I was quoted and that was good.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I shopped for prices and Ship a Car Direct had a better price, better quality, and better accuracy over other companies. The transport, from beginning to end, took four days and that met my expectations. Also, the condition of the car upon arrival was the same as when I left it.

Resolution response: Dec. 3, 2018

I wrote a review yesterday detailing my frustrations with the company and immediately Ship A Car Direct contacted me apologizing for the situation and genuinely wanted to improve their communications.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I was looking for a company to transport my car from LA to NJ. I put in the request hoping that the company would secure a 3rd party quickly. The quote that I received was 200 dollars less than the actual price. Ship A Car Direct lists how they are cheaper yet they go off the third party prices. Additionally it's already an anxious thing to deal with shipping your car across the country, the worst part about it is that they wait till the very last moment to secure a transport company rather than doing it earlier. Therefore the 3rd party contacted me 5 days before shipment and therefore the price also increased. I am recommend another company with better prices.

Ship A Car Direct response

We are very sorry to hear you were not satisfied with our service. Unfortunately, in this industry lead time does not help get a carrier secured sooner. Booking a month in advance does not hold any more advantage than someone booking a few days in advance. The reason is because carriers will wait until their trucks are actually in the area and will pick up cars that are available to be picked up right then and there. If carriers commit too early they may encounter delays on their way across states and not fulfill the order. With so much time in between when the order is placed and when it gets picked up the price can change. We apologize again if we did not communicate that properly and we have refunded the deposit that you paid us. We appreciate you taking the time to speak with us about the issue and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I needed to move my mother’s car from Mississippi up to North Carolina. When I searched online for transport services, Ship A Car Direct had the best reviews, so I went with them. I spoke to one guy who said that he was gonna have somebody call me the next day and they were gonna send my order to their sales team. Then, somebody emailed me and I got a call from a guy. The quote they gave me remained the same until the final pay off and everything went fine.

Their process was good as well but I had an issue with the company that they contracted. I got a call from the company and the person gave me a timeframe on when I was gonna hear from someone. But I did not hear from someone by that timeframe. I reached out to the person but I was not able to, so I called Ship A Car. I expected them to contact and find out what the issue was but they just provided me with the number of the driver directly and we were able to get it resolved quickly. I was also able to communicate with him for the remainder of the process and the car was shipped in no more than three days. Overall, things worked out positively for me, but if anybody asks me about Ship A Car, I would give them a heads up on how Ship A Car dealt with my problem with the carrier.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I wanted to move my transportation from New Jersey to California because my project move was there. I looked at 10 to 12 companies and Ship a Car Direct did a fantastic job! Their efficiency on the quotation and the accuracy of the car pickup were very good. With other companies, no one confirmed that the car will be picked up a certain date. Also, the price is more and the price is too low. Ship a Car informed me that the car will surely be picked up at whatever date they give. Whatever the commitment, they keep the trust and everything is very good. I interacted with Reene, and she's very good. She helped me know all the cases and what the situation will be, if it will be delayed or when it will be picked up. The driver was also very good and friendly. I'm very much satisfied with Ship a Car Direct's transportation, pick-up and delivery. Everything is on time and perfect. It was a great experience.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I was moving to San Diego and I needed to transport my vehicle. I researched companies and went with Ship a Car Direct as they were good. When I talked to them, they were very hospitable and the customer service was efficient, excellent, and very informative. The person who I dealt with was great, as well. He was e-mailing me and he kept me up-to-date. Also, I was in contact with the driver.

The only one thing I have with not shipping directly was when the driver was picking up the car in Boston, he was in a hurry. It was pouring down rain and I asked him if he could come a little bit later. But, he went to the parking lot and told me that he had to pick up the vehicle. So, we were in the middle of the parking lot where the rain was pouring down and he was hurrying to get on the truck while I was trying to take pictures. I told him to hold up, but he got on the truck and drove. He slowed a little bit down and that was it. Still, that didn’t deter me from using the company. My overall experience with Ship a Car Direct was great. The transport took about a week which was within the expected delivery time and the vehicle arrived in good condition.

Ship a Car Direct expert review by Lauren Fix

Ship A Car Direct has been shipping cars for customers since 2008. They changed their name from Honesty First Auto Transport, which emphasized the importance of honesty to them, in order to make their services clearer to customers.

• Free added insurance of $500 on every order: Every carrier they use carries the standard insurance coverage for any damage during transit. Ship a Car Direct also offers an additional $500 on every order – free of charge.

• Door-to-door transport: Ship a Car Direct loads your vehicle at your home or other location, transports it on one carrier and unloads it at the new address you specify. You don't have to worry about multiple modes of transport or about where to arrange pickup or delivery when you use this company.

• No upfront fees: Ship a Car Direct does not charge you any fees to place your order. There is no payment due until the carrier who will pick up your vehicle is confirmed.

• Short lead time: If you need to move a vehicle at the last minute, Ship a Car Direct does its best to accommodate your request. At the most, you'll have to wait one to two days to get the process started.

• Cross-country moves available: Ship a Car Direct offers service throughout the USA (except for Alaska), so you can move your vehicle across the country if you need to.

• Best for: Out of state movers and small business owners.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Ship A Car Direct Company Information