4.8/5 (131 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Jon Bortin

About SGT Auto Transport

SGT Auto Transport is a car shipping broker that works with thousands of carriers to ship cars across the U.S. and overseas. The company arranges moves for a variety of vehicle types and offers services including door-to-door, enclosed and express transport. You can get a free instant quote, and there’s no upfront charge. The company has a price-match guarantee and fully insures your vehicle from pickup to drop-off.

Pros

• No upfront payment
  • Full insurance coverage
  • Sunday discount
  • Express, guaranteed pickup options

Cons

• Broker only
  • No refund after carrier assignment

Bottom Line

SGT Auto Transport brokers customizable car shipping for all types of vehicles to nearly all destinations. Advisors guide you through the process, from getting a quick quote to filing claims. Transport takes one to nine days.

What is SGT Auto Transport?

SGT Auto Transport calls itself an “auto transport management company.” It’s a broker that works with thousands of carriers to ship all types of vehicles across the U.S. and internationally. The company started as a small family business in South Florida in 2014 and has since moved its headquarters to Greenville, South Carolina.

SGT Auto Transport has facilitated the relocation of more than 24,000 vehicles for over 20,000 customers, according to its website. As of publishing, SGT Auto Transport is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

How does SGT Auto Transport work?

SGT Auto Transport is a broker. This means that the company doesn’t transport vehicles with its own trucks or staff. Instead, it works with thousands of registered and insured vehicle carriers to find one that's available on the date you select for the route and service you need.

1. The process with SGT Auto Transport starts when you request a free quote online, by phone or via live chat. You provide information about the pickup and drop-off locations, the type of vehicle, whether the vehicle runs, when you want it transported and the type of service you’d like (e.g., open, enclosed, express). SGT Auto Transport then gives you an all-inclusive quote. If you're satisfied with the quote, you can choose to book.
  2. Once you book shipping, SGT Auto Transport confirms the carrier and contacts you with more details about the pickup date, the carrier’s contact information and how to prepare your vehicle for shipping. You have two options for paying when you book: making a partial payment upfront and paying the balance in cash to the driver at delivery, or paying in full upfront.
  3. Your carrier will contact you on pickup day to let you know when it expects to arrive. Once the carrier arrives, you’ll sign the bill of lading, and the carrier will load your vehicle. You’ll be able to follow the transport progress by contacting SGT Auto Transport or the driver directly.
  4. Shipping usually takes from one to nine days, depending on factors like the transport distance, traffic and weather. The carrier will contact you to tell you when to expect delivery. Once the car is dropped off, you’ll inspect it and sign the bill of lading again.

SGT Auto Transport services

You can book just about any type of vehicle shipping service with SGT Auto Transport, including the following:

• Door-to-door transport: SGT Auto Transport always ships door to door, which means the carrier picks up and drops off the vehicle as close to your preferred locations as possible. The only exceptions are for Hawaii and international shipping.
  • Open car transport: This is the most common method of transport. The carrier transports your vehicle, along with others, on an open trailer.
  • Enclosed auto transport: Your vehicle is transported in an enclosed trailer and protected from weather and debris. Enclosed transport is 30% to 40% more expensive than open transport.
  • Cross-country shipping: Ship your vehicle from and to anywhere in the country on an open or enclosed trailer.
  • Hawaii car transport: Have your vehicle shipped to or from your port of choice in Hawaii.
  • International car shipping: Choose open or enclosed transport from door to port.
  • Express auto transport: Your vehicle is picked up in one to two business days. This service is best for when you need last-minute transport.
  • Guaranteed pickup service: This service ensures you get your vehicle picked up within a 24-hour window on the date you prefer. Guaranteed pickup is mainly for open transport and is possible Monday through Friday.
  • Motorcycle shipping: SGT Auto Transport can arrange transport of motorcycles and sidecars.

SGT Auto Transport cost

Your SGT Auto Transport cost depends on a number of factors, including:

• The make and model of your vehicle
  • Whether the vehicle runs
  • The shipping distance
  • Locations of pickup and drop-off
  • Whether you choose open or enclosed transport
  • The pickup and drop-off time frame
  • The time of year

The company provides some general sample prices based on the shipping distance. For open transport, the sample prices range from $200 (250 miles) to $1,122 (3,200 miles). For enclosed transport, prices range from $375 (300 miles) to $1,536 (3,200 miles). SGT Auto Transport says international shipping costs range from $650 to $2,000 or more. It also quotes motorcycle shipping prices from $995 (700 miles) to $1,239 (3,000 miles).

SGT Auto Transport offers a free instant quote online that’s good for seven days. You can also call to speak with an advisor or use the live chat function on its website. SGT Auto Transport has a price-match promise in case you find a better price from a competitor. If you’re shipping multiple vehicles or are in the military, ask about getting a discount.

SGT Auto Transport FAQ

What types of vehicles does SGT Auto Transport ship?
SGT Auto Transport ships almost any vehicle, according to the company. You can ship a car, truck, motorcycle, golf cart, modified vehicle or inoperable vehicle.
Is SGT Auto Transport licensed and insured?
SGT Auto Transport is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and has an MC Docket number and USDOT number. Vehicles are fully insured with the carrier’s cargo insurance during transport; SGT Auto Transport pre-screens carriers to make sure they have insurance and provides a carrier’s certificates of insurance upon request.
Can I track my vehicle with SGT Auto Transport during shipping?
SGT Auto Transport has a dedicated status update department. This department communicates with carriers daily. You can track your vehicle by contacting the department by phone or live chat.
How long is an SGT Auto Transport quote valid?
Quotes are valid for seven days. You can get a new quote or update an existing quote at any time.

Is SGT Auto Transport legit?

SGT Auto Transport is a legitimate auto transport company. It’s a broker, not a carrier, so it arranges shipping through a network of carriers. The company offers appealing features, like instant quotes, access to virtually any car shipping service, a price-match guarantee and 24/7 customer support. We recommend getting a free quote from SGT Auto Transport and comparing it with other companies to decide if it’s the right choice for you.

SGT Auto Transport Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SGT Auto Transport?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SGT Auto Transport?

Original review: April 14, 2022

SGT Auto Transport picked the car up on a Friday, and it was there Thursday. I was surprised. They said it would be 7 to 10 days, so 6 was great. And when it got out there, my daughter said that the driver just called her. Because of the size of the truck, it had to be on the next road over. So, she just met him there and he handed the keys, and it was fine. It was seamless.

I put the deposit down with SGT when I booked it, which was 200. And when I had to pay the remaining balance, my daughter wasn't allowed to use the card on file. I said, "You can't just charge the card that I have on file for the deposit?” And they said, "No. It has to be a check or money order." She doesn't even know what a money order is. I could easily transfer the balance into her account, but for her to try to get it in paper for him would have been a hassle. She doesn't have checks because she's 19. So it would have been a hassle to try to get the remaining funds to her, to pay the driver, but it worked out because, "Oh, great. I'm going out there anyway, so I can just hand her a check and then she can hand them the check." Otherwise, I would have had to try to figure out how to get $1,300 to her without a check.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2022

The representative that I spoke to was awesome and he was ultimately why I decided to go with SGT. He gave me all the information that I needed to understand the process. I felt secure enough to go with SGT as a result of that. Everything went smoothly and seamlessly. It was good service. I had a pleasant experience.

An issue came up but it was quickly solved. I opted for the option where you can pay upfront a percentage and then pay the remainder to the driver once the vehicle is back in your hands. So once the vehicle was dispatched, SGT automatically charged the person's card on file, which I was given a heads up about. That wasn't the problem. But I wasn't aware of the change to the charge. Because it depends on what the percentage the driver accepts and the remainder goes to SGT. I was quoted an initial charge of 200 but it was actually 400. I didn't have 400 in my account at the time. I would have preferred that I was given the heads up that the amount had changed before I was charged so I could have the funds there before they charged the card. I spoke to the customer service agent and he dealt with me about it and he apologized and acknowledged that that would have been a better solution.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

It was hard to get in direct touch with a live person. It was more like an automated email service. That could have been a little better. I was trying to get ahold of somebody to verify that the driver put wrap on the windows because the windows weren't installed and it was raining. But I couldn't ever get a callback so the vehicle got rained in for seven days while it was being transported.

The driver was in contact with me the day before the day of the delivery. He couldn't make it into the neighborhood so I had to rent a U-Haul trailer and meet him at a parking lot. Also, they bumped me 150 bucks because of storing parts in the car, which makes no sense. The truck was inoperable. It had loose door interior parts. I asked if I could get some lockable bins then ratchet strap them to the bed so that way, it wouldn't fly out. They said, “No. You can put it inside the vehicle but it's got to be below the window line.” That is understandable so if they hit something, it doesn't fly out. I said, “I don't know if it's all gonna fit inside of there because it's a little standard cab old truck so there's not a whole lot of space." They said, "If the driver has to take the bins out and store them in their sleeper, it's gonna cost money.” He didn't have to do that, but they charged me extra. Nevertheless, I’d recommend SGT Auto.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

We chose SGT Auto because they provided a similar service to everyone else, but it was up to 100 bucks cheaper than the next lowest-priced guy. It was pleasant with them and they were helpful. They had a similar price to the next best guy. We asked for some sort of a discount so that we could make an easy final decision based on price and they were willing a $150 discount to the initial quote they had offered.

They picked up the car and about 48 hours later, they called us. We had asked them to call us an hour ahead of time and they ended up calling us about 30 minutes ahead of time, which was fine. The guy pulled up to the front of the house. They wanted to confirm who I was and which vehicle we had. Then they offloaded the vehicle right there on the street in front of my building. SGT Auto has great service, quick delivery, and best price amongst all the vendors.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

SGT was great. I always get three prices, and they were by far the best price. Also, based on all the reviews I read, they were legit. They told me that what they originally quoted me was only good for a week, and it was gonna be $50 more. Then they called me and said they’d get a driver on it within three or four business days, and they’d keep me posted. They called me on a Friday or Saturday and said they had a driver that could pick up that day and have it at the delivery location the next day but it was gonna be $50 more.

I texted the driver to see if he had a timeframe. He was driving and didn't respond. But we knew it’d be some time that day. We were able to communicate with him, but he didn’t speak a lot of English. He was super nice and did his job very well. The price ended up being $100 more than the original quote. But even at that, it was still cheaper than any other company I called.

Original review: May 24, 2022

The transport was good. The people I talked to were very knowledgeable in safe delivery. I was satisfied because the car made it safely.

Original review: May 21, 2022

The price was high but it was reasonable. Signing up was very easy. I was told the pickup was very easy and seamless. They're quick and they did what they said.

Original review: May 18, 2022

It was gonna take 1 to 4 days for them to pick the car up and then they had 13 days to transport it. But they actually came a day early, picked it up and it took them exactly 8 days. The driver that was doing the pick up let me know that he would be picking it up when he was picking it up. Then they let my son know when they were about eight hours to him and then again an hour before they were gonna get to him to let him know that they were going to be there to drop it off. The communication was great and everything was smooth and easy.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Their bid was reasonable and they could do the move fairly quickly. It was a fairly quick turnaround.The drivers were friendly and they let us know they were there. They got there a day early. The quote and the ending bill were the same.

Original review: May 16, 2022

Working with the rep was pretty smooth. It was just a couple of emails and everything was in motion. The price was a good quote. Also, the delivery of my vehicle was quicker than I thought. The driver and I chatted via text and coordinated a spot to drop off and pick up the car as they couldn't get it up to my house. It was an open trailer so the car was dirty but it was fine.

SGT Auto Transport Company Information