4.7/5 (233 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Jon Bortin

About SGT Auto Transport

SGT Auto Transport is a car shipping broker that works with thousands of carriers to ship cars across the U.S. and overseas. The company arranges moves for a variety of vehicle types and offers services including door-to-door, enclosed and express transport. You can get a free instant quote, and there’s no upfront charge. The company has a price-match guarantee and fully insures your vehicle from pickup to drop-off.

Pros

• No upfront payment
  • Full insurance coverage
  • Sunday discount
  • Express, guaranteed pickup options

Cons

• Broker only
  • No refund after carrier assignment

Bottom Line

SGT Auto Transport brokers customizable car shipping for all types of vehicles to nearly all destinations. Advisors guide you through the process, from getting a quick quote to filing claims. Transport takes one to nine days.

What is SGT Auto Transport?

SGT Auto Transport calls itself an “auto transport management company.” It’s a broker that works with thousands of carriers to ship all types of vehicles across the U.S. and internationally to port. The company started as a small family business in South Florida in 2014 and has since moved its headquarters to Greenville, South Carolina.

SGT Auto Transport has facilitated the relocation of more than 24,000 vehicles for over 20,000 customers, according to its website. As of publishing, SGT Auto Transport is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

How does SGT Auto Transport work?

SGT Auto Transport is a broker. This means that the company doesn’t transport vehicles with its own trucks or staff. Instead, it works with thousands of registered and insured vehicle carriers to find one that's available on the date you select for the route and service you need.

1. The process with SGT Auto Transport starts when you request a free quote online, by phone or via live chat. You provide information about the pickup and drop-off locations, the type of vehicle, whether the vehicle runs, when you want it transported and the type of service you’d like (e.g., open, enclosed, express). SGT Auto Transport then gives you an all-inclusive quote. If you're satisfied with the quote, you can choose to book.
  2. Once you book shipping, SGT Auto Transport confirms the carrier and contacts you with more details about the pickup date, the carrier’s contact information and how to prepare your vehicle for shipping. You have two options for paying when you book: making a partial payment upfront and paying the balance in cash to the driver at delivery, or paying in full upfront.
  3. Your carrier will contact you on pickup day to let you know when it expects to arrive. Once the carrier arrives, you’ll sign the bill of lading, and the carrier will load your vehicle. You’ll be able to follow the transport progress by contacting SGT Auto Transport or the driver directly.
  4. Shipping usually takes from one to nine days, depending on factors like the transport distance, traffic and weather. The carrier will contact you to tell you when to expect delivery. Once the car is dropped off, you’ll inspect it and sign the bill of lading again.

SGT Auto Transport services

You can book just about any type of vehicle shipping service with SGT Auto Transport, including the following:

• Door-to-door transport: SGT Auto Transport always ships door to door, which means the carrier picks up and drops off the vehicle as close to your preferred locations as possible. The only exceptions are for Hawaii and international shipping.
  • Open car transport: This is the most common method of transport. The carrier transports your vehicle, along with others, on an open trailer.
  • Enclosed auto transport: Your vehicle is transported in an enclosed trailer and protected from weather and debris. Enclosed transport is 30% to 40% more expensive than open transport.
  • Cross-country shipping: Ship your vehicle from and to anywhere in the country on an open or enclosed trailer.
  • Hawaii car transport: Have your vehicle shipped to or from your port of choice in Hawaii.
  • International car shipping: Choose open or enclosed transport from door to port.
  • Express auto transport: Your vehicle is picked up in one to two business days. This service is best for when you need last-minute transport.
  • Guaranteed pickup service: This service ensures you get your vehicle picked up within a 24-hour window on the date you prefer. Guaranteed pickup is mainly for open transport and is possible Monday through Friday.
  • Motorcycle shipping: SGT Auto Transport can arrange transport of motorcycles and sidecars.

SGT Auto Transport cost

Your SGT Auto Transport cost depends on a number of factors, including:

• The make and model of your vehicle
  • Whether the vehicle runs
  • The shipping distance
  • Locations of pickup and drop-off
  • Whether you choose open or enclosed transport
  • The pickup and drop-off time frame
  • The time of year

The company provides some general sample prices based on the shipping distance. For open transport, the sample prices range from $200 (250 miles) to $1,122 (3,200 miles). For enclosed transport, prices range from $375 (300 miles) to $1,536 (3,200 miles). SGT Auto Transport says international shipping costs range from $650 to $2,000 or more. It also quotes motorcycle shipping prices from $995 (700 miles) to $1,239 (3,000 miles).

SGT Auto Transport offers a free instant quote online that’s good for seven days. You can also call to speak with an advisor or use the live chat function on its website. SGT Auto Transport has a price-match promise in case you find a better price from a competitor. If you’re shipping multiple vehicles or are in the military, ask about getting a discount.

SGT Auto Transport FAQ

What types of vehicles does SGT Auto Transport ship?

SGT Auto Transport ships almost any vehicle, according to the company. You can ship a car, truck, motorcycle, golf cart, modified vehicle or inoperable vehicle.

Is SGT Auto Transport licensed and insured?

SGT Auto Transport is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and has an MC Docket number and USDOT number. Vehicles are fully insured with the carrier’s cargo insurance during transport; SGT Auto Transport pre-screens carriers to make sure they have insurance and provides a carrier’s certificates of insurance upon request.

Can I track my vehicle with SGT Auto Transport during shipping?

SGT Auto Transport has a dedicated status update department. This department communicates with carriers daily. You can track your vehicle by contacting the department by phone or live chat.

How long is an SGT Auto Transport quote valid?

Quotes are valid for seven days. You can get a new quote or update an existing quote at any time.

Is SGT Auto Transport legit?

SGT Auto Transport is a legitimate auto transport company. It’s a broker, not a carrier, so it arranges shipping through a network of carriers. The company offers appealing features, like instant quotes, access to virtually any car shipping service, a price-match guarantee and 24/7 customer support. We recommend getting a free quote from SGT Auto Transport and comparing it with other companies to decide if it’s the right choice for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SGT Auto Transport?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SGT Auto Transport?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

The reps were good. When they weren't able to reach me, they were calling and leaving messages, making sure that I could get ahold of the information that I needed. Everything was all good on my end. The car pick up was really good. But in terms of the delivery, things got a little interesting. The car came a day early, which wasn't bad, but I didn't know about it until that day. So they stood me up a little bit. I had to replan my entire day to pick up my car. I wished I knew at least a day before rather than two hours prior to his arrival. Also, when you get the driver's information, you should communicate with the driver because the addresses that you put in for pick up and delivery are just a general guide for the driver to use. It all depends on where the truck can fit. That was something I had to learn but I was able to work around that.

I've put a good amount of stuff on my car and there were more stuff than I thought. The agent that I was talking on the phone when I booked it let me know about the $150 fee that can occur. So it was no surprise on my end. All in all, there were no unexpected charges. For the delivery, I just moved to the area and I didn't know where my local bank was to get the cashier's check. I asked the SGT rep, "Well, how can I get you the money if I don't have a cashier's check and all that?" Then he told me alternative forms of payment. He walked me through it and everything was all good to go. I was able to pick the car up seamlessly. Everything was good with the car. I left my E-ZPass on top of my windshield and the driver took it down for me, so that way I wouldn't keep getting charged. It was a little thing and I really appreciated that.

SGT Auto Transport response

We appreciate your comment! Thank you for doing business with us! Warmest Regards!

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2022

SGT got in touch with me immediately and they quoted me a price. I told them, "Actually, I have this other price that's been quoted to me." They didn't meet it, but they split the difference, which was fine because the other one wasn't a firm price. Also, the price of gas had gone up since that was quoted, so I was okay with that. They said, "Yeah, we can pick it up later today." They did pick it up that day and two days later, the car was here. It was in great shape.

The person who did the driving picked the car up from my dad. My dad is 93 and the guy made it as easy as possible on my dad and took care of everything. When he got to us, he gave us plenty of notice that he was where he was. We ended up meeting him pretty late in the evening. He didn't deliver to our house because it's on a small street, so we met him at a local high school. He was terrific.

As far as the price, it was reasonable given what I was asking them to do. With the timeliness of it, it was a fair estimate. I couldn't have asked the experience to go any smoother than that. They took care of everything and it was timely and efficient. The driver was terrific and was very helpful on both the drop-off and the pickup.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you’ve had a positive experience! We appreciate your business!

Original review: June 12, 2022

I purchased a car that was in New Jersey. I looked at transport companies and SGT had the best price. The gentleman that I spoke with gave a very good rundown of how everything would work. They asked what was the earliest date they could pick the car up and I told them on a Monday. I got a call from the representative from the dealership on that Monday and he said, "He's already here to pick the car up." I was like, "Wow, that was fast." He left that Sunday night to pick the car up.

However, the driver told me that the car will be delivered on Tuesday, but he chose not to deliver on Tuesday because he didn't get back. He said it would be right when he got back. He told me he'd bring it on Wednesday. On Wednesday, I was given a time of when the car would arrive, but it didn't. I wanted to be kept informed of what was going on. When I called SGT to ask about the car, they wasted no time getting in contact with the driver to find out where he was and what was going on and why the car hadn't been delivered.

The rep called me right back and told me that he had a tire issue and said, "He should be there within the hour. Just be patient. He's on the way." In less than an hour, he was in front of my house. He was a very respectful young man. He checked it out to make sure everything was right. Overall, if I ever need SGT again, they are a company that I will use. Everything was very smooth. I was very pleased with their services.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for your feedback! We value your time and your business! Warmest Regards!

Original review: April 14, 2022

SGT Auto Transport picked the car up on a Friday, and it was there Thursday. I was surprised. They said it would be 7 to 10 days, so 6 was great. And when it got out there, my daughter said that the driver just called her. Because of the size of the truck, it had to be on the next road over. So, she just met him there and he handed the keys, and it was fine. It was seamless.

I put the deposit down with SGT when I booked it, which was 200. And when I had to pay the remaining balance, my daughter wasn't allowed to use the card on file. I said, "You can't just charge the card that I have on file for the deposit?” And they said, "No. It has to be a check or money order." She doesn't even know what a money order is. I could easily transfer the balance into her account, but for her to try to get it in paper for him would have been a hassle. She doesn't have checks because she's 19. So it would have been a hassle to try to get the remaining funds to her, to pay the driver, but it worked out because, "Oh, great. I'm going out there anyway, so I can just hand her a check and then she can hand them the check." Otherwise, I would have had to try to figure out how to get $1,300 to her without a check.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for sharing this! Our team is happy to learn about your experience! Thank you for your trust and business! Regards!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

It was hard to get in direct touch with a live person. It was more like an automated email service. That could have been a little better. I was trying to get ahold of somebody to verify that the driver put wrap on the windows because the windows weren't installed and it was raining. But I couldn't ever get a callback so the vehicle got rained in for seven days while it was being transported.

The driver was in contact with me the day before the day of the delivery. He couldn't make it into the neighborhood so I had to rent a U-Haul trailer and meet him at a parking lot. Also, they bumped me 150 bucks because of storing parts in the car, which makes no sense. The truck was inoperable. It had loose door interior parts. I asked if I could get some lockable bins then ratchet strap them to the bed so that way, it wouldn't fly out. They said, “No. You can put it inside the vehicle but it's got to be below the window line.” That is understandable so if they hit something, it doesn't fly out. I said, “I don't know if it's all gonna fit inside of there because it's a little standard cab old truck so there's not a whole lot of space." They said, "If the driver has to take the bins out and store them in their sleeper, it's gonna cost money.” He didn't have to do that, but they charged me extra. Nevertheless, I’d recommend SGT Auto.

SGT Auto Transport response

We apologize for the inconvenience! We are known for our attention to detail and strive for ultimate customer satisfaction. We appreciate your feedback and your order will be audited to improve the quality of our service!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

The driver was a good kid. I would recommend SGT Auto Transport.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your business! Warmest Regards, SGT Auto Transport!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

SGT Auto Transport is faster and cheaper. They picked up the car in Long Beach and got it up to Tacoma in about three days. The driver communicated with my son. They were nice and told us what was going to happen. They gave us a discount because we paid cash. If I do anything like that again, I'll certainly call SGT and I'll also tell other people to do the same.

SGT Auto Transport response

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

SGT Auto Transport was quick and efficient. The quoted price was good. It was easy to get a quote, too. Everything went well.

SGT Auto Transport response

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

They were able to accommodate my changes in scheduling pick up time, and found someone to deliver my vehicle when they said they would. Price was reasonable and they found me an awesome carrier within my time constraints. Would definitely use again if needed.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for leaving us a 5-star review! We appreciate your business!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

SGT was the first company to contact me and they were the easiest to deal with. Customer service was great. The transport was 1,200 miles and the delivery was perfect. I could also just get in touch with the driver. The car came ahead of schedule. SGT was timely, easy to deal with, and relatively well-priced.

SGT Auto Transport Company Information