4.6/5 (299 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About SGT Auto Transport

SGT Auto Transport is a car shipping broker that works with thousands of carriers to ship cars across the U.S. and overseas. The company arranges moves for a variety of vehicle types and offers services including door-to-door, enclosed and express transport. You can get a free instant quote, and there’s no upfront charge. The company has a price-match guarantee and fully insures your vehicle from pickup to drop-off.

Pros

• No upfront payment
  • Full insurance coverage
  • Sunday discount
  • Express, guaranteed pickup options

Cons

• Broker only
  • No refund after carrier assignment

Bottom Line

SGT Auto Transport brokers customizable car shipping for all types of vehicles to nearly all destinations. Advisors guide you through the process, from getting a quick quote to filing claims. Transport takes one to nine days.

What is SGT Auto Transport?

SGT Auto Transport calls itself an “auto transport management company.” It’s a broker that works with thousands of carriers to ship all types of vehicles across the U.S. and internationally to port. The company started as a small family business in South Florida in 2014 and has since moved its headquarters to Greenville, South Carolina.

SGT Auto Transport has facilitated the relocation of more than 24,000 vehicles for over 20,000 customers, according to its website. As of publishing, SGT Auto Transport is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

How does SGT Auto Transport work?

SGT Auto Transport is a broker. This means that the company doesn’t transport vehicles with its own trucks or staff. Instead, it works with thousands of registered and insured vehicle carriers to find one that's available on the date you select for the route and service you need.

1. The process with SGT Auto Transport starts when you request a free quote online, by phone or via live chat. You provide information about the pickup and drop-off locations, the type of vehicle, whether the vehicle runs, when you want it transported and the type of service you’d like (e.g., open, enclosed, express). SGT Auto Transport then gives you an all-inclusive quote. If you're satisfied with the quote, you can choose to book.
  2. Once you book shipping, SGT Auto Transport confirms the carrier and contacts you with more details about the pickup date, the carrier’s contact information and how to prepare your vehicle for shipping. You have two options for paying when you book: making a partial payment upfront and paying the balance in cash to the driver at delivery, or paying in full upfront.
  3. Your carrier will contact you on pickup day to let you know when it expects to arrive. Once the carrier arrives, you’ll sign the bill of lading, and the carrier will load your vehicle. You’ll be able to follow the transport progress by contacting SGT Auto Transport or the driver directly.
  4. Shipping usually takes from one to nine days, depending on factors like the transport distance, traffic and weather. The carrier will contact you to tell you when to expect delivery. Once the car is dropped off, you’ll inspect it and sign the bill of lading again.

SGT Auto Transport services

You can book just about any type of vehicle shipping service with SGT Auto Transport, including the following:

• Door-to-door transport: SGT Auto Transport always ships door to door, which means the carrier picks up and drops off the vehicle as close to your preferred locations as possible. The only exceptions are for Hawaii and international shipping.
  • Open car transport: This is the most common method of transport. The carrier transports your vehicle, along with others, on an open trailer.
  • Enclosed auto transport: Your vehicle is transported in an enclosed trailer and protected from weather and debris. Enclosed transport is 30% to 40% more expensive than open transport.
  • Cross-country shipping: Ship your vehicle from and to anywhere in the country on an open or enclosed trailer.
  • Hawaii car transport: Have your vehicle shipped to or from your port of choice in Hawaii.
  • International car shipping: Choose open or enclosed transport from door to port.
  • Express auto transport: Your vehicle is picked up in one to two business days. This service is best for when you need last-minute transport.
  • Guaranteed pickup service: This service ensures you get your vehicle picked up within a 24-hour window on the date you prefer. Guaranteed pickup is mainly for open transport and is possible Monday through Friday.
  • Motorcycle shipping: SGT Auto Transport can arrange transport of motorcycles and sidecars.

SGT Auto Transport cost

Your SGT Auto Transport cost depends on a number of factors, including:

• The make and model of your vehicle
  • Whether the vehicle runs
  • The shipping distance
  • Locations of pickup and drop-off
  • Whether you choose open or enclosed transport
  • The pickup and drop-off time frame
  • The time of year

The company provides some general sample prices based on the shipping distance. For open transport, the sample prices range from $200 (250 miles) to $1,122 (3,200 miles). For enclosed transport, prices range from $375 (300 miles) to $1,536 (3,200 miles). SGT Auto Transport says international shipping costs range from $650 to $2,000 or more. It also quotes motorcycle shipping prices from $995 (700 miles) to $1,239 (3,000 miles).

SGT Auto Transport offers a free instant quote online that’s good for seven days. You can also call to speak with an advisor or use the live chat function on its website. SGT Auto Transport has a price-match promise in case you find a better price from a competitor. If you’re shipping multiple vehicles or are in the military, ask about getting a discount.

SGT Auto Transport FAQ

What types of vehicles does SGT Auto Transport ship?

SGT Auto Transport ships almost any vehicle, according to the company. You can ship a car, truck, motorcycle, golf cart, modified vehicle or inoperable vehicle.

Is SGT Auto Transport licensed and insured?

SGT Auto Transport is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and has an MC Docket number and USDOT number. Vehicles are fully insured with the carrier’s cargo insurance during transport; SGT Auto Transport pre-screens carriers to make sure they have insurance and provides a carrier’s certificates of insurance upon request.

Can I track my vehicle with SGT Auto Transport during shipping?

SGT Auto Transport has a dedicated status update department. This department communicates with carriers daily. You can track your vehicle by contacting the department by phone or live chat.

How long is an SGT Auto Transport quote valid?

Quotes are valid for seven days. You can get a new quote or update an existing quote at any time.

Is SGT Auto Transport legit?

SGT Auto Transport is a legitimate auto transport company. It’s a broker, not a carrier, so it arranges shipping through a network of carriers. The company offers appealing features, like instant quotes, access to virtually any car shipping service, a price-match guarantee and 24/7 customer support. We recommend getting a free quote from SGT Auto Transport and comparing it with other companies to decide if it’s the right choice for you.

SGT Auto Transport Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SGT Auto Transport?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

I was purchasing a vehicle that is not sold in my state of Wisconsin so I ordered it from Maryland. There was an article that was written about bus transport companies for various reasons. I reached out to all of the companies that were mentioned in the article and got quotes from all of them. I also cross-checked that with online reviews to make sure that those were also jiving with the company being a reputable business. SGT wasn't the lowest quote that I got. But the companies that were providing the lowest quotes had sketchy reviews so I ended up going with SGT because it was in the middle in terms of price but had overwhelmingly positive reviews.

SGT was awesome. They were quick to respond and anytime I had a question about the carrier, they offered to call the carrier for me. It was nice to only have one contact I really had to deal with. When I reached out to the carrier, they got back to me but they were not super communicative. I didn't really know what to expect on exactly when the car was coming, which was relevant to me. I was picking the car up at my parents’ house because it was cheaper to have it shipped there. I needed to know when the car was coming.

The carrier gave me a range of time then that bumped out three hours then that bumped out another hour then it came out another hour. It was to the point where it went from, “Oh, this car is being dropped off at noon, and I can get it while my daughter's at school,” to “No, now my daughter is coming with. And it's a family trip that we're going after dinner to go and get it.” It was dark when we went to pick up the car but it was fine. It was still delivered the day they said it was going to be delivered. Overall, it was okay. But it would have been nice to have a little bit of a smaller window that they actually kept.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for leaving us a 5-star review! We appreciate your business!

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

I was expecting SGT Auto would call a little sooner than they did but it ended up being a couple of days later. But they walked me through what was gonna go on with the driver and how that would be set up. Then, the driver called me and we set up a meeting place. That got a little tricky because we're a military family. I asked SGT if their drivers had military base access and they assured me that they did but that was not the case. So, there was a little miscommunication there. But it ended up working out.

The driver and I met nearby. He took possession of my vehicle, signed off on documents, kept me updated if he was gonna be early, which he was, and delivered the vehicle to my dad. The communication was fine. I wasn't expecting the daily check-in initially because he was on the road and drivers have their own things to do. I'm not picky that way. I communicated with him the day before to communicate where my dad would meet him or where he needed to meet him. But he let me know that he would deliver and was gonna be there when he was gonna be there. He didn't confirm that he had dropped off, but my dad did, which was all I needed.

The quote and the final cost were good. It was 1,100 after all was said and done, which was the cheapest that I got quoted from anywhere, and it was fairly urgent too. I looked up quotes a few days before I called them and they gave me the quote and a discount because I called over the phone instead of doing it online. SGT Auto was great. Their website could use a little more management but the actual experience was perfectly fine. It went through without any problems and there were no weird random charges later. Everyone from the team was wonderful.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your business!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

The reps were good. When they weren't able to reach me, they were calling and leaving messages, making sure that I could get ahold of the information that I needed. Everything was all good on my end. The car pick up was really good. But in terms of the delivery, things got a little interesting. The car came a day early, which wasn't bad, but I didn't know about it until that day. So they stood me up a little bit. I had to replan my entire day to pick up my car. I wished I knew at least a day before rather than two hours prior to his arrival. Also, when you get the driver's information, you should communicate with the driver because the addresses that you put in for pick up and delivery are just a general guide for the driver to use. It all depends on where the truck can fit. That was something I had to learn but I was able to work around that.

I've put a good amount of stuff on my car and there were more stuff than I thought. The agent that I was talking on the phone when I booked it let me know about the $150 fee that can occur. So it was no surprise on my end. All in all, there were no unexpected charges. For the delivery, I just moved to the area and I didn't know where my local bank was to get the cashier's check. I asked the SGT rep, "Well, how can I get you the money if I don't have a cashier's check and all that?" Then he told me alternative forms of payment. He walked me through it and everything was all good to go. I was able to pick the car up seamlessly. Everything was good with the car. I left my E-ZPass on top of my windshield and the driver took it down for me, so that way I wouldn't keep getting charged. It was a little thing and I really appreciated that.

SGT Auto Transport response

We appreciate your comment! Thank you for doing business with us! Warmest Regards!

Original review: June 12, 2022

I purchased a car that was in New Jersey. I looked at transport companies and SGT had the best price. The gentleman that I spoke with gave a very good rundown of how everything would work. They asked what was the earliest date they could pick the car up and I told them on a Monday. I got a call from the representative from the dealership on that Monday and he said, "He's already here to pick the car up." I was like, "Wow, that was fast." He left that Sunday night to pick the car up.

However, the driver told me that the car will be delivered on Tuesday, but he chose not to deliver on Tuesday because he didn't get back. He said it would be right when he got back. He told me he'd bring it on Wednesday. On Wednesday, I was given a time of when the car would arrive, but it didn't. I wanted to be kept informed of what was going on. When I called SGT to ask about the car, they wasted no time getting in contact with the driver to find out where he was and what was going on and why the car hadn't been delivered.

The rep called me right back and told me that he had a tire issue and said, "He should be there within the hour. Just be patient. He's on the way." In less than an hour, he was in front of my house. He was a very respectful young man. He checked it out to make sure everything was right. Overall, if I ever need SGT again, they are a company that I will use. Everything was very smooth. I was very pleased with their services.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for your feedback! We value your time and your business! Warmest Regards!

Original review: April 14, 2022

SGT Auto Transport picked the car up on a Friday, and it was there Thursday. I was surprised. They said it would be 7 to 10 days, so 6 was great. And when it got out there, my daughter said that the driver just called her. Because of the size of the truck, it had to be on the next road over. So, she just met him there and he handed the keys, and it was fine. It was seamless.

I put the deposit down with SGT when I booked it, which was 200. And when I had to pay the remaining balance, my daughter wasn't allowed to use the card on file. I said, "You can't just charge the card that I have on file for the deposit?” And they said, "No. It has to be a check or money order." She doesn't even know what a money order is. I could easily transfer the balance into her account, but for her to try to get it in paper for him would have been a hassle. She doesn't have checks because she's 19. So it would have been a hassle to try to get the remaining funds to her, to pay the driver, but it worked out because, "Oh, great. I'm going out there anyway, so I can just hand her a check and then she can hand them the check." Otherwise, I would have had to try to figure out how to get $1,300 to her without a check.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for sharing this! Our team is happy to learn about your experience! Thank you for your trust and business! Regards!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

SGT Auto is cheaper than most and it's fast. However, the final cost was more than I expected. Two different salesmen quoted me different prices, and the second one couldn’t give me the quote that the first one gave me. Other than that, everything is all right. I could text and call the driver easily.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We really appreciate your business! Feel free to reach us back for your future shipments! Regards, SGT Auto Transport!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

SGT Auto Transport gave me the most competitive price and were more upfront with all the information. They told me they would come at some day and they came that day. I had the number of the driver directly. They were in time for the delivery. They told me a week and it was six days.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you’ve had a positive experience! We appreciate your business!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

The rate was good. Also, they communicated effectively. There were some changes that had to be made due to circumstances, but they were good at communicating that. The driver also walked around the car and took pictures. It was good service.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

I had a really outstanding contact on the phone who seemed to know what he was talking about. They picked up the car in LA, and then dropped it off in Boca Raton, Florida. They kept me advised by text and by phone. It was great. During the delivery, the driver called us and we met him on the main street. So, the truck was able to park on the main street and it worked out. I'd use SGT again.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

I wish the process would have been explained a little better to me. I didn't realize that SGT Auto Transport subcontracted out or that they are a broker and they don't actually do the transport. Transparency is key. Other than that, the pickup point was in Ohio, and the drop off was in Georgia. And the the entire process took about a week. But the actual pickup and the drop off only took about 24 hours. The courier driver called to make sure they had all the documents to pick up the vehicle, then they let me know that they were going to be delivering the next morning. And then they delivered my car. The delivery guy had a pickup truck with a small car hauler trailer and he had two vehicles on it. He unloaded mine, and the other one was still on the trailer. But he pulled up to my property, we backed it off the trailer, and away he went. My car was in the condition I expected it to be in, so there was no damage.

SGT Auto Transport response

Thank you for sharing your experience with SGT Auto Transport. We're glad to hear that your vehicle was delivered in the condition you expected it to be in, and that the overall process was efficient. We apologize for any confusion regarding the subcontracting process, and will make sure to improve our this moving forward.

SGT Auto Transport Company Information