3.9(166)
Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About uShip

uShip is an open marketplace for automotive and motorcycle transport, furniture delivery, household moves and other large and bulky shipping needs. You can use its site to list your transport needs, collect bids and choose a transportation service provider to complete your move. You can handle communication and payments through the uShip mobile app and get status updates when your shipment is picked up and delivered.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Can choose your own shipper
  • Many shipping options
  • Tracking available
  • Educational materials provided
Cons
  • Not a direct carrier

Featured Reviews

Verified
Carrollton, TX

I have shipped my Cobalt A 36' twin engine boat twice with great luck in past 2 years. I got competitive rates and responsible drivers each time. They shipped quick and delivered ...

Verified
Smyrna, GA

I could not be more pleased with the entire USHIP process from initial contact to final delivery and follow up. This Vendor exceeded my expectations as far as flexibility goes, co...

Insights from 82 recent reviews of uShip

We used sentence-by-sentence statistical analysis to decode more than 80 uShip reviews published on ConsumerAffairs in the past year. Read below about customers who were happy, satisfied or upset about the four topics mentioned most often in reviews of uShip.

uShip staff reviews

The 24 recent uShip reviewers who discussed staff focused on the drivers that executed their vehicle’s shipment and delivery. 79% of those customers were happy or satisfied, ranking uShip ninth among car shipping companies on our site.

Positive reviewers told us their drivers handled everything professionally and kept them updated throughout the process.

A few negative reviewers cited poor quality service from their selected delivery staff, sometimes leading to damage. Before purchasing shipping services through uShip, we suggest you review the insurance and liability policies of both uShip and your selected carrier in case of such issues.

uShip customer service reviews

uShip ranks ninth in customer service among auto transporters on our site: 70% of 20 recent reviewers were happy or satisfied with the support and responsiveness of the company’s customer service.

Of the negative reviewers, many were disappointed with uShip’s lack of assistance in resolving issues with carrier companies and drivers.

“I had nothing but issues in trying to ship a motor using uShip. To be fair, most of the issues were with the freight company that bid through uShip, but when things went sour and the delivery and pick up were messed up, and I was charged extra on top of the original already paid quote, uShip’s customer service was not really interested in my complaints or making things right,” said Jake from Green Valley, Arizona.

uShip punctuality & speed reviews

Of 18 recent uShip reviewers who talked about punctuality and speed, 89% were satisfied or happy with the timeliness of their car shipping experience. That ranks the company eighth among auto transporters on our site.

While many reviewers told us their vehicles were shipped quickly and delivered on time, a few reported their delivery timelines were changed multiple times with little to no explanation. If you use uShip to ship your car, we suggest you regularly contact your selected carrier to get the most up-to-date ETA.

uShip price reviews

20 recent reviews of uShip mentioned price. Many reviewers felt prices were reasonable and liked choosing their own quote from the offers on uShip’s platform.

“I received a few competitive quotes and chose the freight person based on the reviews. Quotes were actually much better than on similar sites,” said Kirsten from Springfield, Massachusetts.

Ultimately, 95% of recent reviewers who mentioned price were happy or satisfied, ranking uShip eighth among auto transport companies on our site.

Stars Rating

• 70%
  • 1%
  • 2%
  • 1%
  • 26%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about uShip?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about uShip?
    Verified purchase
    Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2024

I sell large furniture items on eBay and Etsy and ship cross country. I have used Uship now for the second time. It is a fraction of what other shipping companies charge. The process is really easy. You set the price you want to pay and drivers reach out with bids. Upon the drivers reaching out you are able to look at their personal reviews and decide if you want to accept the bid or not. Nothing needs to be done if you don't like the bid, you can simply ignore it. Once you accept the bid of your choice, you work out the details with the drivers personally! It's amazing! I still track shipments so my customers can track them but the drivers communicate with you personally. Communication is excellent. My last driver texted me with all of her updates along the way and even communicated with my customer along the way with her cellphone! So convenient.

I still insure items (for a very reasonable cost as with FedEx and UPS) however, there is simply not even close to the same likelihood of your shipments showing up damaged as with other standard companies because these guys/gals are personally accountable. Typically it's their own company. My furniture is hand-painted and restored and I would much rather have it get there safe than go through refunds and repairs and receive bad reviews myself!, etc..... Really appreciate this company a lot. This company keeps MY furniture prices down for my customers because of the savings.

Hi Angie,

Thank you for the great review! I think you may have accidentally rated uShip as 1 star out of 5, but either way, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to working with you again in the future.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2024

A close friend passed in early December and she had an antique cabinet that needed to be removed from her apartment by mid-month. Original plans fell through and I had to scramble last minute calling several overly priced moving companies who would deliver in 2-3weeks! Found UShip online and although apprehensive, I created an account just to see what would happen. Within two days, I received an offer from a mover. With a 4.8 star, I decided to proceed. In three days, I received the antique cabinet without a single scratch, crack, or dent. I am so grateful to UShip (words cannot express) for making this experience much less stressful and reasonably priced for an item so personal and sentimental.

Hi Laura,

Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear about your loss, but are glad you were able to find a great carrier to get your precious cargo delivered with care. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 12, 2024

uShip is a very good service, but you arent dealing with uShip per se... you are dealing with mostly unknown shippers. BE AWARE of who you are dealing with and expect very good and clear communication. Most of the time I have had problems with shippers delivering late... even months late. Since you don't have anything much but a phone number or email, they can ghost you anytime they choose. How easy is it to deny a call or just throw a phone away and start over again.. leaving you with no property.. Just be sure you have communicated your expectations clearly and ask for very clear contact info, even a copy of an ID or DL. Once this person has your property, what power do you have to get them to deliver?

uShip I can assure you does very little to nothing when it comes to these issues. At best they can block the shipper from doing business (in that account) in the future.. so what? Anyway... best of luck,... I have used uship dozens of times and had no real issue with uShip.. I do wish they could control the vetting system better, and create a stronger connection from the client to the shipper so we have legitimate ways of managing the process.. because now you just have to stay lucky.. Lucky you got a good honest responsible shipper.

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with uShip. We appreciate your honest feedback.

We understand that communication with carriers can occasionally be a challenge, and we apologize for any inconveniences you've faced. As you said, vetting, reading reviews, and being precise with what you need from the carriers before you accept a quote is the key to success. If you ever have any questions or need assistance with a listing/shipment, our support team is available to help.

We truly value your input, as it helps us improve our services and provide a better experience for our users. If you have any specific suggestions or further details you'd like to share, please reach out to our support team at support@uship.com or 800-698-7447.

Once again, thank you for choosing uShip. We look forward to working again with you in the future.

Price

Reviewed Nov. 21, 2023

I needed to move from one storage space to another while being overseas. My things were in a small town (Binghampton/Vestal). For things that could fit in about half of a 5x10 space it would have cost me around $1000 since most companies have a minimum. I made my offer of $300 & I got a hit. I didn't expect they would do the packing and unpacking so I upped my offer to cover that. This was my 4th time using uship but I didn't know I could have gotten people to do my packing for me! All my experiences have been positive. They took photos for me and even mailed my keys to the address I asked them to.

Hi Karis,

Thank you for the review! We're glad to hear you had a great experience and look forward to working with you again soon.

Staff

Reviewed Nov. 14, 2023

There are other sites similar to Uship. With my experiences with Uship though? They're always willing and able to help. Bonus! The representatives I've always talked to SPEAK ENGLISH!! They are very helpful, patient and get results. Sure, there are bad experiences, but you may need to know both sides before passing judgment. I've Uship 3 times now. The first time was to list a trailer I needed to get moved to WY. ($14,000.00) The 2nd time was to deliver to me a Can-Am Spyder ($7500.00) and the 3rd time was to deliver a large concession window ($2,300.00). Each time the trek would have been a minimum of 2000 miles round trip. Each time that I used Uship, I had absolutely the best experience I could've expected.

All three were delivered by different drivers/companies. Each driver was in contact with me all the way, the inspections were detailed, and quite often during the transporting of my items. To some, 14,000 dollars isn't much, but to me? That's a lot! Longer review shorter? It would take a LOT for me to quit using Uship. They have the most options, a very wide network of companies to make the shortest to the longest haul a success!

Hi Troy,

PricePunctuality & SpeedDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed July 7, 2024

We used Uship several times and had great experiences. Very efficient and affordable way to ship big items. Would definitely use them again. The drivers contacted us quickly and pick up and delivery was seamless.

Hi Pam,

We're delighted to hear that you had a great experience using uShip. Thank you for choosing us, and we look forward to serving you again!

Customer ServiceStaffDelivery & Shipping

Reviewed July 3, 2024

Would recommend very highly. It is a little slow at times because you're not dealing directly with uShip themselves. You're basically a second or third party but they did do a good job. Very good at communications and once we found a driver delivery was within 24 hours. Very was a exceptional shipping experience

Pinned

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad to hear that you had a positive shipping experience. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to serve you again in the future.

Delivery & Shipping

Reviewed June 21, 2024

The worse experience. They shipped my classic car enclosed. Upon delivery they damaged the entire right side. The shipper returned the car to me. My car is back here with a dirty car fax and won't return my money. Terrible company.

Hi Raymond,

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience with the carrier you matched with. Although uShip is a neutral third party that connects consumers with independent carriers, we aim to help when issues occur.

If you haven't already, it's important to leave direct feedback for your carrier on their uShip profile. If you need further assistance, please feel free to email support@uship.com or call 1-800-698-7447.

uShip Member Support

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 11, 2024

I would not recommend you use this company. They connected my daughter to a company called Diesel Auto Express. The company is a FRAUD. The driver lost my keys and the company refused to reimburse us for new keys. The customer service is horrible and the communications was horrendous. DO NOT USE USHIP. FRAUD.

Hi Abdullah,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry that you had a negative experience with the carrier you matched with. Though uShip is a neutral third party that gives consumers the ability to connect with independent carriers, we do our best to assist when situations arise.

If you've not left feedback for your carrier, I think it's important to start there. Your "Delivered Shipment" email notification has a "leave feedback" button within it as well as your listing page.

If you need further assistance please email support@uship.com or call 1-800-698-7447. We're happy to help.

Kind Regards,

uShip Member Support

Reviewed June 11, 2024

UShip turned out to be the best thing that I never knew I needed!! The service was GREAT, the ease of use was amazing and I had wonderful interactions with each of the bidders! I wished I had jobs for them all!! I needed to transport an RV from Alabama to Minnesota and was very concerned about how that would go. I worried for nothing! Smoothest part of the whole transaction was via uShip! Thank you!!

Hi Dori,

We're thrilled to hear that you had a great experience! Thank you for choosing uShip to transport your RV. We look forward to assisting you again in the future.

uShip FAQ

What is uShip?

uShip is an open marketplace for people who need to move large items from one location to another. Users can post their shipping needs, and then transportation service providers can bid on the shipment. You can read customer reviews and select the company best suited to complete the job.

uShip’s movers include large and small businesses. uShip doesn’t prequalify or validate the licenses of any shipping company for most marketplace shipments, so you’ll need to do your homework before selecting a carrier. Before agreeing to work with a carrier, ensure that it has U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) and Motor Carrier (MC) numbers, which are required for companies that operate vehicles hauling cargo in interstate commerce.

How does uShip work?

Start by completing a free listing so that companies can start providing you with quotes. The amount of time it takes to receive quotes varies based on the origin and destination of your shipment, but most listings receive quotes within 24 to 48 hours of submission.

You must provide as much information as possible to get the most accurate bid, as in-home estimates are not provided by uShip. The platform allows you to create an inventory of the items you want to ship, and you can upload photos to show the items you’ll be transporting. If you underestimate how much stuff you have, it can cost you a lot more on moving day.

The uShip app allows you to track your move while it's in progress. However, the carrier you select must have its location sharing turned on for this to work. You can ask about this during the bidding process.

The “Ship with Confidence” Guarantee means uShip compensates you up to $500 if your items are lost or damaged. If you want additional peace of mind, you can purchase a uShip Protection Plan at the time of checkout (available to most U.S.-based customers). The price of a uShip Protection Plan varies depending on the types of items you’re shipping.

Transporters operating across state lines must have Motor Carrier (MC) and U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) numbers. There may be noncompliant service providers on uShip, though, that aren’t licensed to move things legally across state lines. uShip doesn’t prequalify movers or transporters, so always ask about insurance and licensing before accepting a bid. The company does use SaferWatch, a third-party service, to monitor whether a carrier has an active or inactive insurance policy.

How much does uShip cost?

Once you post a shipment listing, you get bids from multiple service providers. The shipping calculator helps you estimate what the move should approximately cost so that you can better assess which bids are competitive.

Here are a few examples of bids we received on uShip’s platform to ship a variety of items:

ItemMileageBid range
      2023 Sea Fox 288 Commander851$3,000 - $3,800
      Hyster S80XL243$980 - $1,250
      Sofa1,382$574 - $1,324
      1 bedroom apartment686$2,000 - $3,500
      LTL: 1 loose788$850 - $1,350
      2014 KTM 125 SX2,103$800- $1,200
      2013 Ford Super Duty F-250 SRW608$875 - $1,553

uShip also offers a military discount through ID.me for active-duty members of the U.S. armed forces, veterans and military spouses.

What are uShip shipping options?

Service providers on uShip move items in several different categories. Some can tackle furniture delivery and whole-home moves, while some specialize in the transport of automobiles, freight and other large items.

Vehicles and boats

Need to ship a car across the country or find a boat transporter? Just provide information about the make and model of your vehicle and indicate if it’s operable. uShip’s carriers handle the following:

• Cars and light trucks
      • Motorcycles and mopeds
      • Powerboats
      • Sailboats
      • Personal watercraft
      • Recreational vehicles (RVs)
      • All-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and powersport vehicles
      • Commercial trucks
      • Farm equipment
      • Construction equipment
      • Vehicle and boat parts
      • Trailers
      • Other vehicles and boats

Household items

uShip can help you ship large items to and from your home or business, including:

• Furniture
      • Antiques
      • Art and glass
      • Pianos
      • Pool tables

To set up a shipment, you’ll need to provide details about the size and weight of the item.

Whole-home moves

Are you relocating? uShip can help you with your move. To get a quote online, select from one of the following:

• Small studio
      • Large studio/one-bedroom apartment
      • Two-bedroom apartment
      • Three-bedroom apartment/two-bedroom house
      • Three-bedroom house
      • Four-bedroom house
      • Office

There’s an option to add shipment inventory details and a way to upload pictures to your listing, which can help generate a more accurate estimate of the move cost.

Heavy equipment

uShip can also help you transport tractors, bulldozers and other hard-to-move equipment. You’ll have to provide information about the make and model of the equipment and whether or not it’s already on a trailer.

Freight

You can ship freight with uShip by LTL (less than truckload) or full truckload, including:

• LTL new commercial goods
      • LTL used commercial goods
      • LTL wine, liquor, beer and spirits

You’ll need to provide the dimensions, quantity and weight of the goods and indicate if they’re hazardous. For this type of transport, your items must be palletized or crated so transporters can use a pallet jack or forklift.

Animals

If you’re trying to get a dog, cat, horse or other animal moved, you can use uShip. You’ll be asked about your animal’s name, breed, weight, vaccination status and more to create this type of listing.

Other

If you have something to move that doesn’t fit into one of the above categories, you can create a listing under “Other” on the uShip site and see which carriers can help you.

uShip moving services

As you create your listing, you can specify which level of service you’d like. uShip has three main service options: self-service, loading service and white-glove delivery.

• Self-service: You pack your belongings and load them onto the moving truck. The movers then drive the truck to your new location, where you unload your cargo.
      • Loading service: You pack up your cargo before the movers arrive. The transporter is responsible for loading your things onto the truck. When the truck reaches your selected destination, the movers help with unloading.
      • White-glove service: With this full-service model, the service provider takes care of everything for you. The company packs up your items, loads them onto the truck, drives the truck and unloads the items at their destination. The movers can even help set up your appliances and assemble your furniture if you request this service ahead of time. You can also request that they remove any debris associated with the delivery before they leave.
      Where is uShip available?

uShip’s service providers can transport your belongings throughout the U.S. and Canada, as well as accommodate some international shipments.

Is uShip a broker or carrier?

uShip is not a broker or a carrier: it’s a marketplace platform where users can post their shipping needs and transportation service providers can bid on the shipment.

Similar to auto transport brokers, uShip is not actually doing the pickup, shipping and delivery — it’s a means of finding a service provider who will.

However, unlike an auto transport broker, uShip does not select and coordinate shipment with a preferred carrier. If you use uShip, you will select a service provider from those that bid on your shipment and coordinate with it directly.

Is uShip legit?

uShip is a great place to get competitive bids if you need to transport anything big and bulky. Once you create a free listing on uShip’s open marketplace, you can receive bids from various shipping companies, which can help you get a competitive price. You can also communicate with the transporters or movers and ask them questions throughout the process.

Just keep in mind that not every service provider on the site is guaranteed to have the licenses required for your move, so it’s important to carefully check credentials. Also, uShip doesn’t send out estimators to help price your move, so you’ll want to carefully estimate how much room your things will take so the service provider can give you an accurate quote.

uShip Company Information