4.74/5

Ship Your Car

King of the Road Transport

Whether you are moving permanently or find yourself in an unexpected extended stay situation, King of the Road Transport can help get you mobile again.

King of the Road Transport provides automotive shipping services door-to-door all across the country. Not only do we ship just cars, we can also arrange for shipment of your prized motorcycle or beloved boat. No move is too large or too small. Contact us today to get your next auto transport moving quote.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

King of the Road is a licensed, bonded and insured auto transport broker with multiple discounts. Though there can be extra fees, they have the ability to ship most types of vehicles.

PROS

• Ships internationally
    • Door-to-door shipping option
    • Classic car options
    • Multiple discounts available

CONS

• Extra fees for modified or inoperable vehicles

Top King of the Road Transport Reviews

07/27/2018

Go with a reputable company like King of the Road Transport. They did what they said they would without any stress or frustration. I commend Mary from King of the Road for reaching out to me. She really did a phenomenal job all around and I won't hesitate to use them again!

08/08/2018

I normally do not write reviews but feel compelled to provide this one. I recently transported a WWII Willys Jeep (non-running) from NY to FL ... King of the Road came through on everything that they promised and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and flawlessly the entire experience happened.

Ship Your Car

About King of the Road

King of the Road is a licensed, bonded and insured auto transport broker that connects consumers with drivers who haul vehicles across a state, region or country. Every King of the Road carrier is licensed, bonded and insured. King of the Road offers discounts to members of the military, students, senior citizens and repeat clients. Classic cars or any other car requiring extra protection can be shipped using enclosed shipping.

King of the Road cost

King of the Road costs varies based on several factors, such as condition of the car, size of the vehicle and type of shipping. For example, transports that run along the interstate highway system, mile for mile, will be cheaper than one that is largely through a rural area. King of the Road requires no upfront payment from customers and isn’t needed until your vehicle is being shipped.

Supply and demand on a route also affect the cost to ship with King of the Road, such as choosing a route during snowbird season. The cost to ship a sedan from Florida to the Northeast during the early summer will likely cost $900 to $1000 because of the popularity of this route; however, the cost to ship from the Northeast to Florida the same time of year might fall between $600 and $700. For this reason, if you’re trying to save money with a King of the Road shipment, try to plan your move during the offseason. A King of the Road representative will be happy to discuss with you more if you have any questions on costs.

Make sure to ask about discounts when requesting a quote. Additional fees may be required for expedited shipping. Modified or inoperable vehicles require additional handling fees.

King of the Road shipping options

King of the Road auto transport ships to all 48 contiguous states, Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Canada and many other countries around the world. King of the Road is also able to handle all types of vehicles, including sedans, SUVs, pickups and oversized equipment. They have enclosed transport options for classic cars, luxury vehicles or just for added safety.

The quotes provided by King of the Road are for door-to-door transport, but they can arrange for terminal transports if desired. King of the Road requires all drivers to be insured as required by the FMCSA and offer additional gap coverage as a registered AFta Agent.

King of the Road highlights:

• Ships to all 50 states
      • International shipping
      • Ability to ship SUVs and trucks
      • Door-to-door transport
      • Terminal-to-terminal transport
      • Enclosed shipping available
      • Free quote

King of the Road shipping process

King of the Road provides a free quote for customers after providing basic information like vehicle details and the route needed. If you have specific needs, like closed shipping, you can discuss this further with a King of the Road representative and see how your quoted rate will change. Once King of the Road has collected the necessary information, they will provide a contract for their service. Then, they will schedule the carrier and provide the necessary information to the customer and the driver who will be hauling the vehicle. King of the Road keeps customers updated throughout the transport via phone, email, or text. Drivers provide inspections on pick up and delivery. Multiple payment options are available.

Do we recommend King of the Road?

We recommend King of the Road for a number of reasons. First, their ability to ship a wide range of vehicles to almost anywhere in the world. They also provide convenient tracking options that let customers know where their vehicle is every step of the transport. Plus, King of the Road has a long list of discounts that help keep the cost down. Finally, their door-to-door shipping makes pickup and dropoff convenient.

532 King of the Road Transport Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 22, 2019

I’ve moved twice now in the last two years, once to Michigan and then the second time back to California. The first company I used was some broker through the internet and I was not happy with them. I sought out a different company this time for coming back to California a month or so ago, and as I googled, I saw King of the Road. I saw that they were rated from the Better Business Bureau. Carol, my contact person, was wonderful and she helped me the whole time. The cost was what I expected, and was comparable to what I paid two years ago.

Unfortunately, we shipped the vehicle before we left Michigan, so I only had a family member accept the vehicle for me. She did the walk-around, and she signed it off, but I know there’s damage there. It appears that the person who transported the vehicle tried to fix it. It’s obvious on the hood. It looks like it’s a small dent and a scratch, but then there’s this piece of tape that they tried to put over it that matches the color of my car. It’s like the size of a small piece of tape, about as long as an inch. I washed my car recently, and saw it. My husband and I saw it earlier too, but we were like, “Well, there’s nothing we could do, right?” So we didn’t do anything about it and just left it.

Other than that, I was very impressed with everything. I was super impressed with how quickly my vehicle got across the country. It got picked up on a Monday, and then it was dropped off in California on Thursday. That was three days versus three or four weeks that it took to get my car when I moved to Michigan with the other company that I used.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We didn’t wanna drive the car down and wanted to have it shipped. I reviewed all sorts of different sites and reviews online and King of the Road Transport seemed to get the best reviews with anyone that I found. They turned out to be excellent. They were very upfront and very trustworthy. They were on time and they showed up on the day they said they were gonna show up. The car showed up on the day they said it was gonna show up.

But then we went through a broker and she wasn't great. She quoted us a price and a location where the car would be picked up. Then, she came back to us and said that it wasn’t possible and it was gonna cost more money. She said that she didn’t know it was gonna be peak season. I said that nothing has changed since she gave us the quote, so she needed to honor the quote. She ended up honoring it, but I talked to King of the Road Transport directly and they said that they shouldn’t have given me that quote and that they would never have picked up the car in that location either with anyone else. I will go directly to King of the Road next time and I won’t use a broker. It’s more economical as you are not paying a brokerage fee.

King of the Road's location in Florida is right around the corner from us. They came to the Cape and picked up our car. The rep told me exactly what to expect and did a full inspection. There was no damage to the car. Everything showed up fine and it actually showed up a day earlier than they said. The driver called me and said, “There’s no problem at all. I can either drop it at your house or in a lot, it’s right around the corner. And when you get in town, I can come to pick you up.” He was great. I would not hesitate recommending King of the Road. I will be using them to ship my car back in the spring.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I bought a car which came out of Casper, Wyoming and I live in Saucier, Mississippi. I talked to an individual from Miami, Florida and got the quotes over the phone. The representative from King of the Road called me and I told them that I wasn’t sure with the exact date and that I would let them know. So, when I knew what I wanted, I called them back and they said they would see what they could do. It was 10 days in advance notice and the girl called me back. She told me they had a vehicle coming through there. I gave them the address but then, the driver called me. I gave him the phone number of the individual that had the car and he communicated with the person that was gonna ship it to me.

The driver called me and told me that he was leaving Wyoming, and that he would be gone for about five days. So, I told him to call me when he was a few hours out of Saucier, Mississippi. The driver stayed in communication with me but he wasn’t able to deliver it to where I live. It’s in the boondocks and the roads were too small to bring a semi down. So, I found a place on Highway 49 pretty close to where I live, so he offloaded the vehicle in a place where I was able to get it. Communication was ahead of time. All the planning was made in advance to where it benefited myself and the driver, and there was no inconvenience to me. They handled what I needed very well. I was satisfied with everything that transpired. I wanted transportation in a van and King of the Road provided that. They picked it up and delivered it to where I wanted, and everything went like clockwork and smoothly.

I told friends how I found King of the Road. I went online and posted it. There were several emails I got and the first one I tried was King of the Road. They provided me with everything I needed without me having to sort through all the other applicants and the people that wanted to do it. I was happy with the response I got with the cost. It was a great experience and they did a great job for me. A friend of mine was buying a car out of New Jersey, and I gave him the phone number of King of the Road. He called me back and told me that they quoted him a fair price and he was using them. Four days ago, he called me and told me he had gotten his car so, they provided him with good service also.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I was moving a car and I had an arrangement with a different company. But at the last minute, they tried to increase their quote by $300 and I refused to be held hostage to that. It's a slippery-slopey industry and it's hard to find honest people. This was my second rodeo because I bought a house down in Florida. And I had a problem going out of here with every company I dealt with and then I had a problem coming back. What I've learned in one year is that transport companies make quotes in advance and 99 times out of 100, they decide not to honor the quotes. The reason they claim is that they get busy and the prices go up. But they don't tell you that in the original quote. They know when you wanna have your car picked up, shipped and delivered and they give you a written original quote. But when it comes to that week to do it, they raise their prices on you all of a sudden.

One of the people I had as a back-up was King of the Road and initially, I wanted them to meet the other company's quote. But when I called them, I only had three days to make a decision because I was moving. Eric found me a driver but the price was about $50 higher than what they had originally quoted me several months before. And that was $100 more than the price that I would have taken from the other company. But at that point, I was annoyed with the other company because I thought they didn't have any integrity. Besides, King of the Road told me why the price had to go up. It was last minute and I had not accepted their original bid because it was too high. As it turned out, it got higher.

But even though I wound up paying more money, I felt that I was dealing with somebody honest. And I was. The driver was excellent. He was a very cooperative and professional guy to deal with and he met my requirements. It's normally a two-day trip but I was driving my other car down and leaving town the day after he picked up the car. So he delayed his trip, took my car to his home and stored it there for two days before he got on the road. I was actually on the road before he was and it all worked out. He picked the car up on a Thursday and then delivered it on Sunday. He showed up and delivered when he was supposed to, and the car was in good condition.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I was relocating from California to North Carolina, and I needed to ship two vehicles. I got online, researched a little bit and went with King of the Road. They’re brokers and the reviews were good, which I rely upon when I’m trying to narrow down a search. I talked to King of the Road, told them what I had, and then they gave me a number. It was one of the lowest quotes I got and with the reviews I read, I was happy. However, we had a situation where the ’48 Ford pickup was not running, so I needed to get that winched up on the truck as those older vehicles are heavier.

Also, the location in California they originally quoted from was up in the high Sierras, east of Fresno, and it’s elevated about 5,500 feet, so we had some reluctant haulers that didn’t want to come up. We spent a couple of weeks waiting to see if anybody would come through, and King of the Road never could find anyone. We were out of the quote period, and I offered to move the vehicles at my own expense down to a better location in Central California where there’s a lot of traffic down the main highway, which meant the haulers wouldn’t have to run a truck up 50 miles out of the way.

When that happened, King of the Road started getting a couple of quotes. I had to leave my vehicles because I needed to be in North Carolina, so I started driving cross country. Their reps kept up with me, advising me of what the response was and what feedback they were getting. They were very responsive, but I understood a non-op in the situation with being a heavier vehicle and that there might be not as many carriers willing to pick that up. I think they had to give up some of their commission to get somebody to pick it up.

When it finally got picked up, the driver contacted me immediately, and we were communicating back and forth. I knew exactly when he was getting here, so everything went smoothly. I had a very positive experience, and I appreciated the service and the contact from customer service. King of the Road has good customer service, and I would use them in the future if I had a need.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about King of the Road Transport?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I looked at the reviews and the cost of different transport companies and chose King of the Road Transport. I took advantage of their online quote calculator and the quote was close to my final cost. Plus, the rep was very good. She helped. I was happy with the overall service from the King of the Road. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

King of the Road Transport was flexible regarding price and their rating on Better Business Bureau was high. Moreover, the individual that I was working with was very nice. I wanted to move my car from one state to another and the quote I got was okay. My interactions with their rep were nothing but top-notch and excellent. She was always friendly, explained how everything would work and reached out to me. Plus, I had a specific date and time and she made that work. And when I got the vehicle, it was in the same condition as when I dropped it off.

Original review: July 31, 2019

We had King of the Road bring up a movie prop vehicle from California to our show in Seattle then had them ship it back. The quote they gave us seemed fine, and the rep who scheduled the transport was great and very friendly. The transport took three days and when the vehicle arrived, it looked great. The experience was quick, easy and straightforward.

Original review: July 27, 2019

My experience with King of the Road Transport was good. I was doing a seasonal move. I wanted to use a company in Maine, where I am right now, but they’ve got some horrible communication reviews so I took a chance with King of the Road Transport and my interactions with the rep were excellent. The service was terrific and Dan was right on top of everything. The car showed up exactly when it was supposed to and it came in good shape.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I was moving to a different location and I needed to ship my vehicle. I was shopping around and I called lots of places. King of the Road had the cheapest deal compared to the others and in the beginning, my experience with them was good because I was still not confirmed if I was really going with them. When I would give them a call, they would answer it or five minutes after, somebody would get back to me. Even if I texted, they would respond. And even on weekends, they would call me back. But once I locked up the contract and gave my credit card, it was hard to get in touch with their reps. I would call them so many times and nobody would answer. But they would text me next day and tell me to call them if I had any questions. Still, I was disappointed with how the customer service changed.

There was also another problem because the week I was supposed to ship my car, somebody called me and said that I had to pay in cash. But we never had that deal and I gave them my credit card already. It felt sketchy to me. In the end, I got my car nice and safe, which I'm glad about. But right when I was ready to head out of my point A, I was put in an obligated and difficult situation. Then I had a bit of an argument with the person and he tried to explain it to me. But I was not satisfied and I told him that as long as I got my car safe, I would just deal with paying cash or whatever. And in the future, I don’t know if I would go with King of the Road again because it was not what I expected.

King of the Road Transport Company Information