1.88/5
  • 1 star
Based on 16 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Looking for an auto transporter?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: April 30, 2017

19 National Auto Shipping Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: April 30, 2017

Company hires out second party immigrants with a very bad attitude. They lost the keys to my motorcycle and said it was the post office's fault. Now I'm stuck with a motorcycle with no key. Company's customer service says they will call you back and never do. Please do not use this company. You will regret it.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I have had 7 different vehicles shipped, and I have never been treated worse as a paying customer than with National Auto Shipping when I recently shipped a motorcycle I had bought used. Find a different company. They are not worth any savings. They lied or misrepresented everything on the initial contact. First, they tried to overcharge me $20 on the front end, which I have seen on many other reviews, so it wasn't an accident. They were three days late in the pickup, due to unspecified mechanical issues. When I told them I understood that breakdowns happen, but I had a problem with them not contacting the seller or I to let us know they were going to be late, it wasn't ok. They blamed me! I could only get updates on the shipment by calling them and waiting on hold for ten minutes at a time. They finally gave me the phone number for the carrier, and he told me delivery would be Saturday, four days later than the contract.

Saturday afternoon I called him and he said it would be Monday. Monday afternoon I called and he said he was still 260 miles away and would be outside my home first thing in the morning. Tuesday morning he was nowhere to be seen, and when I called him, he was 200 miles away. Eight hours later, he showed up, demanding cash and that I sign the damage waiver before I could even see the bike. From the pictures that the seller sent me of the bike loaded into the trailer I could tell that it was in a different trailer with a different driver, after I was told the bike would not be reloaded or moved. When I called the company to discuss the issues I had with the service, I was told by Tony, "I don't have time to babysit a crybaby." and he hung up. I called back the next week to request a refund and was told that since I didn't write my complaint on the packing slip, they would not consider it. DO NOT USE this company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 31, 2017

I made arrangements to ship a car from LA to Cleveland. They sent me a confirmation and charged me $100 for a deposit. They said they would contact me 1-3 days before. They never contacted me and they gave me a phone number that is an answering machine. I called the number 4 times and left a message that was never returned. They are a scam company. The only contact is a lady named Elizabeth ** who told me I was all set to go and to call 561-921-5255 which is the number that I left several messages on.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I am writing you in regards to a charge of $195.00 on February 14th that I would like to dispute due to the Merchant not being honest with me when setting this service up over the phone before the signing of the cancellation agreement. I called National Auto Shipping on Monday February the 13th to inquire about using their services to ship my Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Custom Motorcycle from Twisted Twin Custom Motorcycle shop in South Haven Michigan to my home in Prairieville Louisiana by the way is valued at $42,000.00. You can imagine I had a lot of concerns and questions regarding the handling of such an expensive motorcycle I have worked very hard and spent thousands of dollars to have built.

I went into detail with the gentleman regarding the air ride suspension and that there is a sequence you must follow to air it up to move and a sequence to follow after you get it into place to lower and secure the air system with a bleed off switch before securing the bike on the trailer. This gentleman without a doubt reassured and promised me that this motorcycle would not leave this brand new top of the line enclosed trailer from the pick-up point in South Haven, MI. until it arrived at my house in Prairieville, LA. He also reassured me of the delicate handling of my motorcycle and the transportation was guaranteed, he also mentioned they were insured up to $75,000.00. This should have been a red flag if you have to carry that much Insurance most likely due to claims from damaged transporting of goods.

After doing my research most companies that handle expensive motorcycles don't insure but up to $20,000. He told me the total price of this service would be $675.00. He requested my credit card information and promptly run it for $195.00. He took my e-mail address and was going to e-mail the agreement that I needed to sign and send back as soon as possible. I got off the phone with him and called my friend and Bike builder Jimmy ** of Twisted Twin Customs to let him know that I just hired National Auto Shipping to ship my motorcycle from his shop to my house. I repeated to him the conversation I had with National Auto Shipping that my Bike "was not to be off-loaded and re-loaded under any circumstance" until it reached my home.

I also told Jimmy I valued his experience in building and handling motorcycles for over 30 years that if he did not feel 100% good about the security and handling of my bike by this company stop and call me first. He assured me that would not be a problem. So when I got to my office the next morning I printed the Agreement, my receipt for $195.00 and made a copy of my ID signed everything and e-mailed it back. I received an electronically generated response it was received. I know it was electronically generated because I replied to it requesting how and when was the remaining balance was to be paid Check or Money Order? I never got a response.

This takes us to Thursday the 16th Jimmy called me to let me know that National called him and they were going to be at his shop at 2:00pm Central time that afternoon. I said "ok remember our conversation Monday if you don't feel good about the way this company is securing my bike call me". He said he would. Well wouldn't you know I get a call from Jimmy around 4:30pm Central time letting me know that he did not feel good about this at all? First of all it was a pull behind used Cargo Trailer Not the top of the line brand new one with a hydraulic lift. Second Jimmy asked the driver about the rear wheel chocks to keep the back end from moving he said he didn't have any and Third Jimmy asked the driver where was he headed and he disclosed to Jimmy that he is just a pick up man that he was driving to Chicago where the bike was going to be off-loaded and re-loaded onto another truck to be shipped to me.

Jimmy also said he tried to explain to the driver that transporting a bike with an air system is different than a stock bike. Jimmy said the guy pretty much didn't stop what he was doing to listen to him to even try to make sure he understood and that there would not be an issue. I said "ok so Jimmy put the driver on the phone". I asked him where was he headed when he left there he told me Chicago, Ill. I asked him why was he going to Chicago. He was supposed to be heading straight to Louisiana? At that point he would not answer my question and began telling me how qualified that he was in transporting bikes. I stopped him and again asked "why are you going to Chicago and not heading straight to Louisiana?" He would not answer me so I told him that this deal is off. He is not to take my bike. I told him to put Jimmy back on the phone. I told Jimmy he is not to load my bike, I will call National and deal with them.

I called and got some Supervisor on the phone and explained to him I was not happy with how my bike was about to be transported and that I was basically lied to by the salesman that took my call. He was very apologetic and sympathetic at first and put me on hold for 5 min. When he finally got back on the line he began to tell me that the driver was heading straight to Louisiana. I asked him then "why did the driver tell me and Jimmy he was going to Chicago to off-load and re-load my bike?" He began arguing with me and said someone would be calling me. I was upset and called Jimmy back in disbelief that this driver would say that if it wasn't true.

During my conversation with Jimmy I had a missed call from Hannah at National telling me in order to process my request they needed an e-mail regarding the cancellation of this service for the driver's records? I tried calling Hannah back twice Thursday afternoon and left voicemails asking to process my refund and call me back. I promptly responded right away that Thursday afternoon to the automatic generated e-mail. I did not receive a call back the rest of Thursday or the following day Friday the 17th. I called and left Hannah a voicemail the following Monday morning the 20th and also left a message with a co-worker for her to call me and still no returned call. I called back about 2:45pm and got a co-worker and told her I will wait on the phone until I could speak with Hannah. At that point I was put on hold twice for about 10 minutes before she would take my call.

Once I finally got her on the phone I told her I replied to her e-mail per her request and she said she has sent me 2 e-mails regarding this cancellation and read me my e-mail address to me and it was the correct e-mail address but I never received any e-mails. I even checked my Spam folder. This was the same e-mail address they had no problem sending me the agreement and paperwork to sign and send back the receipt to process the $195.00 charge but no I told her again I had not received any new e-mails from her or National. I asked about crediting my credit card for the $195.00 and she began trying to re-schedule my bike for pick up? I told her that since I was lied to about the transportation of my Motorcycle that this Agreement has not been fully met by them that this contract is no good.

I asked her again "are you going to refund me my deposit" and she begins to tell me that she has pictures of the trailer that my bike was to be transported on. I asked her what good was that going to do that the driver busted them in their lie by being honest with me and Jimmy and telling us where he was heading and that was Chicago. She begins to tell me she has pictures of the trailer and that the driver did not lie. I asked her "are you going to refund me my deposit due to not fulfilling your promise not to off-load and re-load my bike and not driving straight to Louisiana like I was promised over the phone". She said no they were not. I said fine I will dispute this with my bank. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY... UN-PROFESSIONAL AND FLAT OUT RUDE...

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

I had an extremely excellent experience with Manny & National Auto Shipping. I bought a car from a dealer that I've never met from Connecticut. My son and I bought it together for his older brother who needed one. It was my job to find the person who'll transport it, and it didn't take very long before I realized that it is the transport organizer's job to pick out the right transporter. National was more expensive than the other people, but my son wanted to get the best one out there and it wouldn't have mattered what anybody else would have offered to do it for. The price they gave me was very fair. When it was all said and done, it was only $20 more than one of the other people that didn't have near the reputation that National offered. Their pricing was competitive.

The person that I talked with on the phone was courteous and polite. My son wanted to ask them if they could do any better with the price so I did. The rep said he'll find out and then gave me a callback and said, "Here's what we can do." He was willing to earn my business. Then they got the carrier there the day after I called, which I was ready to wait a couple of weeks if need be and he got the car here two days later. So it was three days from the time that I called their rep and we were fortunate, we got a good carrier. I also watched their videos prior to even talking to anyone on their website and those are very convincing. We had a good experience with them and we certainly would use them again if we had anything to move anywhere. Everything went better than I thought it might. I will personally recommend National Auto Shipping since they are very upfront and do what are contracted to do.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Auto Shipping?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I selected this company to move my daughter's car and they were just delayed with some mechanical problems on the way to California but they kept me and my kid informed of what is going on. The sales person Manny was very nice and he even followed up with me. I will probably use them again.

Original review: July 6, 2016

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! STOP. STOP. STOP. They damaged my vehicle and DID NOT make good. Delivered the car at night. Didn't notice a scratch. Called first thing in the morning and after 3 weeks of phone calls (with very unprofessional and rude people), they are denying that they damaged the vehicle. It is so clear that they did. Don't give this company your money!!! Horrible company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

I contracted National Auto Shipping on 12/8/16 to transport my daughter's car from Pittsburgh to Minneapolis to arrive on 1/5/16. I paid a deposit and $500. was to be paid at delivery by cash or cashier's check. The car was picked up on 1/2/16 at 9:30 pm. My husband met the drivers about 4 miles from our home. The drivers told him the car would be delivered on 1/4/16. There was no one to accept the car in Minneapolis on 1/4/16 so I called the driver to tell him that. The driver was Russian and very difficult to understand. He said they would leave the car at a "terminal" if they couldn't deliver on 1/4/16. On 1/3/16 the driver called and said they had driven through the night and the car would be delivered at 8:30 that night if acceptable. I told him that would be fine.

Later in the day, he called my daughter to tell her they wouldn't deliver the car until 10:30 or 11 pm. When they arrived at 10:30 pm they would not accept the cashier check that she had to pay the balance. They were giving her a bad time and would not give her the car. After back and forth phone calls from her to her dad in Pittsburgh, it was decided that she would go to an ATM and get $500. which she did. When she came back with the money, they told her she owed $625. dollars.

At this point she told them she would call the police. They took the $500 and left. National Auto Shipping advertises as not being a broker but that is exactly what they are. I called to lodge a complaint and the dispatcher I spoke with said they are not brokers but must have had to subcontract my order, perhaps because they had a truck shortage maybe due to mechanical reasons. I am waiting for a call back from the company owner. I certainly wish I had read other reviews before I hired this company. The only positive is that there was no damage to the car. My advice is to never, ever consider National Auto Shipping for transport.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

Less than 1 STAR rating, worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. The supervisor doesn't know her company and or what is going on. I didn't receive an update for 5 days as to where my car was. Then after contacting the Better Business Bureau magically my car was dropped off at 10:00pm that night. Not only that the driver text me several times stating he can only take cash on delivery in order to receive my Vehicle. Once I received my vehicle it had several scratches. PLS. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2015

I booked with them even though I saw these horrible reviews because they had the best price and allowed up to 100lbs in vehicle. Unfortunately everything in these reviews is true from my experience. The quoted timeframe for pick up has been delayed 3x as of today. They say they will call back with updates and have yet to get a return call. Therefore, I end up calling them back repeatedly during my workday trying to figure out what is going on. The car was supposed to be picked up yesterday and as of today they still have no confirmed driver for pick up.

As referenced in the other reviews the initial drive had "mechanical issues" that would be unresolved indefinitely. It's surprising how many times the reviews reference mechanical issues, I am thinking these are unfit and not properly maintained vehicles that are doing the transporting. The whole experience has made moving exponentially more stressful. If I could go back and pay the extra couple hundred more for another shipper I would. I deeply regret my choice to book with this company.

Original review: July 29, 2015

I shipped a 2013 Equus with this company based on a recommendation of my moving company All State Moving and Storage. If I had seen the reviews I would never have contracted with them. They picked up my car on July 17 and was told I would receive it in about 5 days. They allowed for a window but they contacted me again that I would receive the car on July 22. It is now July 29 and still no car. The information I got every step of the way was wrong. I was told multiple times that the truck that broke down 100 miles from my house was fixed but it never was until today July 29. If you need to move a car, this is not your company. I have moved cars coast to coast 2 times before. This is my first bad experience and it is really bad.

Original review: June 30, 2015

I went with this company based on the assurance they provided me. I did noticed their reviews here and I still decided to give them a chance regardless of their ratings here. The driver was nice and took care of my BMW. He did have a delay due to mechanical problems and I totally understand, they kept me informed on what was going on so they have a good customer service. The sales person ** was nice and followed up with me. I didn't give them a 5 star due to the delay. Overall I'm happy with their service and the way they took care of my car.

Original review: June 14, 2015

Horrible experience using National. They never returned any of my calls even when they said they would and they never called to let me know the initial pick up was having mechanical issues. I kept getting the run around and every time I would call back I got the same response "I was just about to call you back." I set up my quote and pick up schedule weeks in advance so it wasn't anything last minute. The ONLY time I got a call when I didn't call them first was when they told me it was going to be $295 more than what they quoted me. As a service member I move vehicles every 3-4 years and this was hands down the worst experience in my 19 years of service.

Original review: May 10, 2015

The quote process started out great, and the company was responsive. I've used NAS before, so we used them to ship a car from Cali to Minnesota even though they were $300 more than the other bid we received. Big mistake. They were three days late picking the car up. The subcontractor lied about being in touch with us (repeatedly) then missed several appointments to pick the car up. He was three days late, and I had to have a neighbor meet the truck as I was moving. On the drop off the driver showed up on Sunday and demanded to be paid cash. After going to the bank and playing ATM card shuffle to get the money out of several accounts, he wouldn't give me a receipt for the payment. I will never use them again, and am making sure they are never used by my company's relo department.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2015

I never knew about this business until I brought it up to my moving company that I needed my car shipped since I didn't want to take that drive alone across country. They referred me to National and they took care of my car. The driver was nice and polite. My wife received the car undamaged and all items inside. I enjoyed working with them. Thanks for the follow up today.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2012

Be aware that no matter what they say on the phone (first words is they have their own trucks), this is a shipping broker and they are finding other companies to deliver your car for the price quoted.

For me, they were scheduled to pick up my vehicle on a Monday but my drivers company was not even notified about the vehicle until Tuesday and it wasn't picked up until Thursday. I called several times to ask about status and whenever they say they will call you right back, do not count on a call back. Overall, my car was delivered clean by the company that delivered Kwik Trans Inc. so I will try direct with them next time.

Original review: May 5, 2010

I contracted for 1 motorcycle and 1 trike to be shipped. I was assured they were experts and possessed the appropriate equipment. First attempt, a Budget Rental truck showed up with a make-shift ramp, incapable of loading either of my bikes and with an unlicensed truck driver. Second attempt, after they explained that a truck with a gate lift would be sent another, Budget Rental truck showed up with an unlicensed truck driver.

This company is a scam, a fraud. And it should not be allowed to conduct business as they do. Please consider any other company first before doing business with them. The scam is simple; they hire people to drive rental trucks, loaded with merchandise other than motorcycles and then load your cycle. They represent their selves as "transporters."

Absolutely, despicable way of doing business! There's so many other great companies out there that really care about what they are doing. Forget about this one. I am currently resolving my dispute with this company through my credit card company. Hopefully, I will not need to hire an attorney, but I will if I have to.

Original review: July 20, 2009

I had booked a pick-up with National Auto Shippers on July 1st, 2009 and paid a deposit of $295 and was to pay the balance when I met the driver. My car was to be picked up in California no later than July 9th and delivered to the Montana border where I was to meet the driver on July 11 or 12th. July 9th came and they could still not get anyone to pick up my car. Due to the time frame and national Auto not being able to pick up the car as per the contract date, I was forced to cancel the contract and find another shipper. It was critical to get this car picked up. They charged me a $100 cancellation fee because they could not fulfill the contract. Do not - I repeat - do not use this company. As far as I'm concerned, they shouldn't even be in business. They will take your money and not fulfill their end of the contract as they did with me.

Original review: June 10, 2007

Do youself a favor and don't ship through National Auto Shipping Company! I have never experienced such a disgraceful business transaction in all my life. Original quote was $575.00 and miraculously it went up $100.00 for an "oversized" vehicle and another $200.00 for "disassembly".They, Manny and Gabe, were well aware of the dimensions of this golf cart when giving me my quote. It was a Golf Cart for goddness sake!

This company lied, overcharged and never responded to emails, or phone messages. They were terribly late with pick-up even after booking two weeks ahead and being given a 3 day window for pick-up. They fraudulently charged my credit card for charges I never authorized, were rude and very unprofessional! There are too many episodes for me to even type of my experience with this compnay. Please contact me if your even thinking of booking with this company or just simply move to the next....it will save you a world of money, harassment and headaches! Trust me!

National Auto Shipping Company Information