Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
AAA - American Automobile Association
3.16/5

AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

1310 AAA - American Automobile Association Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I’ve been very happy with my AAA membership! In the last 4 yrs I’ve had to use it 3x’s. First time: blew a tire on the freeway. They were there within 30 mins with water and helped me get my spare on. Very nice man! Second time: locked my keys in my car WITH MY CAR ON :( at 11pm on a Friday night. Took a little longer but I assume due to the time. But took care of me once again. Third time: yet again, locked my keys in the car while I was at work. Still there within 30 mins, and was taken care of quickly! Each time has been a pleasant experience and with my luck, AAA is very worthwhile for me!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Last week I managed to lock both sets of keys in my car. I called AAA and they told me someone would be there within an hour. About 40 minutes later someone came but he could not get it open. AAA called me back to offer a locksmith. No one would come because it was 9 pm on Friday night. So AAA called again and said they would tow it home (45 miles). I said ok that was fine. The tow truck came within 10 minutes and couldn't get to my car because I was at a ballgame and they couldn't get around the cars to hook it up. He said he would try to unlock it if that was ok. My car has some sort of anti-theft system that makes it hard to get in with both keys in the trunk.

Long story short, after a few minutes he got it open but couldn't get in the trunk to get my keys. I have a small opening to the trunk where the armrest is located. He used a hook to fish out my purse and got my keys. I offered to kiss him right on the mouth. He was from J&J Garage in North Wilkesboro, NC and he was awesome. Between AAA and J&J Garage what could have been an awful night turned out great. A huge thank you to both these companies. We have used AAA before and have always been delighted with the service. Thanks again. BTW they called me 9 times trying to get me home. Now that is incredible service.

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I am a driver who knows nothing about car, except to drive. What happened is that I had a flat tire on my way to work this morning, Sunday 11/18/2018. I called triple A around 7:36 am, and and the dispatch got to my destination at 7:45 am, and got my tire changed within a short period. From the representative that attended to me to the man who got my tire replaced are diligent, respectful, kind, and represented triple A very well. I don't normally give review, but what I experienced today is so satisfactory, and I just have to share my experience. Thanks to triple A for giving me more confidence that I am not alone, you're the best.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Last night I was driving and my battery light came on. My car lights were getting dim. I googled the action and it said that my alternator was either bad or the belt broke. I was able to drive to a safe place and park. I checked the belts and they were intact. I then called AAA and a nice lady answered and helped me with a tow. She said that it would be about an hour and a half before someone could get to me. Well, within minutes I received a call from Mr. Mike of First Coast Towing, Inc on Blanding Blvd, Jacksonville, FL. He called to say he was on his way and asked me a few diagnostic questions. He got there and proceeded to check out my car. He verified it wasn't the battery itself. He took really great care with my car. If you are in the Jacksonville area and need service, give Mike a call. Very professional and courteous.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I locked my keys in my trunk while rushing. I was extremely frustrated because I felt like it would take very long to get it opened. However, I was happily surprised when the AAA agent on the phone was extremely nice, helpful, and efficient. She dispatched someone right away. The driver came in under 30 mins and was able to help me in under 5 mins. In a world where customer service is undervalued, it was so nice to deal with people who care, and who understand how to work in timely manner. Smiling at someone and having a friendly attitude mean so much. Even a small problem was considered. Would recommend Triple A to any of my friends. Thank you so much!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: May 20, 2019

I contacted Triple A after leaving my lights on for 24 hours and being unable to start my car with my own Schumacher charger. James came in 15 minutes and had the car started and running in 5 minute. James couldn't have been more knowledgeable or friendly and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Triple A to ANY friend. On a dark note, my 86 year old Mother called because our cards were expiring and despite the fact she no longer has a license and is driven by me everywhere she goes and her Alzheimers, the woman renewing my card sold my Mother another year for 50 dollars, which I only discovered by looking reviewing her phone calls, which I am forced to do because of unscrupulous individuals taking advantage of her which this woman did.

So James was great and did a fantastic serviceman, while the telephone operative was HIGHLY UNETHICAL AND SOLD a policy to an Alzheimer's patient with no car or license, telling her the card would cover her if she was with a friend, despite the fact she can't remember her own name half the time. Perhaps Triple A encourages this behavior, however I will make sure recorded thievery ends up with the proper authorities knowledge and perhaps both will be cancelled if I do not receive an adequated acknowledgment of individual's grifting behavior.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I have called AAA once or twice a year it seems for many years, flats and keys locked in car, and always prompt and courteous. This time was the best, told within 55 min but here in 10 minutes and fixed flat, nice guy and on his way in 10! Wow, what service!

Original review: May 17, 2019

I travel over 20 times a year, AAA rental rates went from competitive to outright outrageous! Not only are they not competitive they are higher than the companies themselves web sites, best site is for Costco members, 2. is BJS and you don't have to be a member. For example June 5 2019 ROA pickup at 8:30 return June 15 8:30 ROA, pay later rate of 441.00 on Hertz with a premium membership. BJS 332.00 same car, no need to have a premium membership when there is a zero discount, and still waiting to get reimbursed for over 2 years when they never showed up when I was driving through Massachusetts, and left me in my vehicle all night till I called another tow company and had to pay them out of pocket, their service is garbage.

Original review: May 17, 2019

We are somewhere near 40 year members of AAA. We have used the service a few times, but mostly we have paid to be sure we were covered if needed. Last night we were stranded in a rental car in an unexpected snow in the Utah mountains. The car was not safe to drive, so we pulled it off the road and some good folks took us out in their all wheel. The car is still sitting up there, 12 hours later, and we will either pay to have it towed or shovel it out once we can find transportation. AAA will do nothing because our car isn’t broken down. I am shocked and once we get this figured out, we will be finding another road club. @aaa

Original review: May 13, 2019

I called AAA to have my car towed. Their vendor Davenport towing, came to my house, jumped my car off and caused a wiring fire. I made a claim that they referred to Davenport who would not even return my calls and they denied the claim. No one from AAA or Davenport even investigated. The bill was $1911.00 dollars.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I just got roadside service with AAA on 5-11-19, I needed to have my car towed one place to another so, I could place it in the shop. The first roadside serviceman that came out was very professional and explained he would not be able to tow my car because it would not start. So he dispatched it to a second ** male who came to the residence with a nasty attitude to start with. He placed my car on his truck and before leaving he told me because I had basic coverage he would have to charge me 4.00 additional dollars for every extra one mile totaling to 16.00. I inquired as to why I was not informed of that when I signed up nor did the first guy state anything like that when he first arrived ready to tow my car, but okay I will pay it.

This man already appearing to be aggravated for no apparent reason had a very hostile manner. I looked in my purse to find I only had 20.00 bill. I assume since they charge extra for mileage knowing people may have to pay differences surely he would have change. I explained I did not have any change hoping he did. He stated in a nasty tone “Nope I don’t have any change.” I then stated, "Just give me my keys. You can just keep the four dollars extra." I need to go inside as it was starting to rain. The man then abruptly went over to his truck and got on the phone to call someone. He slammed his door and rolled up his window so I could not hear his conversation. I waited outside as raindrops began to come down.

I repeatedly stated, "Just give me my keys and you can have the additional four dollars!" He then stated I could follow him somewhere, but I declined and stated, "I don’t wish to follow you nowhere! Just give me my keys and take the twenty dollar bill and keep the four dollars." He reached out to grab the money without giving me my keys. I demanded he give me my keys several times. He then stated, "They are in your car." I stated, "Shouldn’t you have put them in my hand like I’m about to do with your money!" The man then abruptly walked fast towards my car and uttered “That’s why I hate dealing with **!” I said, "What did you just say to me?"

He then reached into my car, grabbed the keys and quickly tried to drop them in my hand but instead dropped them on the ground. I asked him to pick them up but he instead snatched the 20.00 from my hand and ran back in his truck and pulled off. I have since reported this matter back to AAA and I will be following up with another complaint to the authorities. This man needs to be fired and definitely could use some sensitivity and hospitality training.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My daughter was dropped from my policy effective immediately without warning. Apparently she used the membership disproportionately or falling outside the terms and conditions as explained in their Member Guide. They said that they went back 3 years and that she had cost them too much money. So they are striking her, apparently forever. She did have an undependable car. I have been a customer for 18 years, never requiring more than made me a viable member to have. Why could she or I not have been given some type of warning that we were in danger of being cut? We could have adjusted somehow in order not to lose a membership.

The company appears to be on a tear to eliminate members right now, as indicated by some recent reviews here. Customer service was rude and absolutely unfeeling to me when I called for an explanation. You know, it just kind of feels like entrapment. We won't tell you what you have done wrong. One day you will just get a curt letter. And a loud, pushy "customer service" rep if you take it any further.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Had a flat tire east of Crestview, FL. on May 9, 2019. Called AAA and they said they were sending someone out. My spouse and I are in our 70’s and have been members for years. We were uncomfortable because it was a desolate stretch of I-10. After an hour or more Country Towing Service from Marianna, FL showed up but he didn’t have the correct tool to fix our tire. We called around and found the tool and paid for it over the phone with our credit card. CTS left us and he said he was going to pick it up. He never did. He never returned. No one called us. We sat on the side of I-10 for over 3 hours. We finally found Road Mart to come out and change our tire. Horrible service. Will never renew my membership again.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I was Called to get service. I was left on hold over 30 minutes the first time and the representative was really rude and wasn’t listening. Then I called back and spoke with a supervisor who then says I don’t have a claim in the system only to then come back to the phone and say someone will be out within the next hour. The point is they left me stranded over two hours and the phone operators are rude and no help. If you want to be found on the road dead get AAA. If not I suggested getting another roadside assistance company.

Original review: May 8, 2019

After 33 years of being a AAA Plus member, nearly 25 with AAA Carolinas, they dropped “me”, not my husband, just me because last year I supposedly had too many calls, though I was under the allotted number for our family. The problem being, we have a new driver who forgot once to get gas before coming home. Add in that for part of the year I was driving a borrowed pickup from our church which the gas needle was broken on, while my engine in my car was being replaced after a recall issue. As a result of the new engine, there was a subsequent battery issue I had to call for help on. I’m disabled, I have heart failure and other issues.

Now after all these years of being a member, not using much of anything on the membership, I get unceremoniously booted without warning just because we had a bad year??? Then when you call in you get a snarky witch who refuses to give you any solid info and DARES you to go legal, telling you there’s no appeal or recourse because they are a “private company.” Well darlin, the recourse you have left a disabled, previously long-time faithful member with is to go public, loud and clear, and warn other members and those considering signing on DON’T DO IT!!! You’ll find yourself like all the rest of us you’ll read on here...totally screwed over. Not worth it. Until someone takes over leading AAA Carolinas with a true customer service mentality, go check out other options. You’ll save yourself a lot of heartache.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Worst customer service ever! As a Premier Member, I was extremely disappointed in the time it to get a tow truck to my location in a highly populated tourist area. It took AAA over six hours to have a tow truck respond! At first there was a 90 minute window. After two hours, I called AAA again, only to find out there would be another one hour wait! After each hour when I called them (they didn't call me), there was another hour wait (what a joke). This went on from about 4:30pm until after 10:30pm when the tow finally showed up! Why am I paying for service I'm not getting? NEVER AGAIN! Wish I could rate this service a zero!

Original review: May 8, 2019

I've had AAA plus off and on for years, rarely use a service. Latest issue, AAA will not ask dispatch for a driver that can bring a 5 gallon container of gas. They say they only supply 2 gallons. I've called many times yesterday and today. I'm at a new home in a new place alone in the Ocala National Forest, miles from any store or gas station. No Uber, no Lyft, nothing. While working on my Suburban with many issues, it's now sitting empty of fuel unable to continue repair as AAA will not bring adequate fuel. Customer service has said plus members get 5 gallons max, apparently that's more of a sales tactic lie, even though some reps agree to the 5 gallon statements. Just try and get it when you need it! AAA leaves me stranded. Never will I renew.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Dropped suddenly. Told that most people require one call per year (not four). Talked with Rep and management. Told: New operation of number of calls to keep membership. Referred many people, but they are not customer friendly lately, the driver, rep and supervisor. So different than previous years of service. Baffle.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I was a AAA Carolina's member for 23 years, according to them I had a couple expensive service calls. I had the 100 mile protection. No warning that I was getting close to the unknown limit. WTF?? Cancelled my membership! They have a witch staff the customer relations dept!

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have tried to use our AAA towing three times and they have refused every time because of some stupid excuse! I am cancelling our policy, we have 4 cars, a van, a motorhome and three motorcycles with them and pay thousands every year and they treat us like dirt!! Do not use this company, they are full of **, their "roadside" assistance is no roadside assistance!!!

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have had a great experience with agent Shareka **. I really recommend her as your agent. She has helped us twice at finding the best rate, price, coverage on our vehicles. She is excellent at getting back to you in a timely manner and very professional.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I signed up for AAA so I could get some peace of mind when I'm on the road. Last time we had a flat tire, the screws were on so tight that we couldn't do it ourselves and a specialist had to bring a machine to do it, so it made sense to get AAA as to not be stuck in a similar situation. This morning I woke up with a flat tire. I call emergency line to put in a request. I have a personal vehicle, when I put in the request, they asked for my license plate number which I gave them. When the guy gets here he tells me that he wasn't able to do it because of my plates and he needed to check in with a supervisor. He comes back and says I have commercial plates on the car and they can only do it for a fee. I have AAA plus. I tell them it’s fine. I am not paying extra for a service I already paid for.

The man leaves and since he says the problems were my plates and I was due to get new plates and had the personal vehicle registration for the car I call them back. They send someone back who asked to see my car registration (which expires in June 2020) that matches my car and since it was Sunday I was due to pick up the new plates that Monday but I had all the paperwork he asked for. They refused to change the tire. It was just a flat tire. I'm already a member and it was my car. They not only refused to change the tire but they wanted to charge me $60 for something that is covered under my membership. Nevertheless, when I signed up for AAA, my understanding was that I would be covered for their services under my membership.

Per other reviews I've read, AAA will find any loophole to shell more money from you. When they say assistance, remember the fine prints: at their convenience and per their discretion. Luckily I got a flat in front of my home. Had I been stranded on the streets somewhere, I would have been stuck with a flat and a bill from AAA. Since I found AAA to be a useless service, I called them to cancel. Not only did I not get all my money back, they prorated my fee to the day of cancellation. If you're looking for peace of mind when you're on the road, make sure you have some extra money laying around that you can shell out to them just in case.

Original review: May 5, 2019

This is the third bad experience I’ve had with AAA in Warrington PA. It’s a really long story and then deserve any kind of attention anymore whatsoever especially after looking at all the reviews on Consumer Affairs - little on everywhere else that the reviews are actually really matter in one store across the board. For over 250 reviews basically says it all.

They left me in a hot car when I ran out of gas today coming out of a off ramp onto a highway with my ear all autistic son. The supervisor David treated me with so much disrespect and horrific demeanor. That’s imagine he told me that he is at supervisor of right now work weekends so I’ll be able to talk to her. After being on the board few times trying to find out where my dispatcher was when they were supposed to be there within 30 minutes, 30 minutes I need to still had never received even a text that my driver was on his way. Every time I cough I kept getting thrown back into the automated system making me repeat myself. Just the yellow one is 20 minutes away love you have a moment.

They finally showed up 45 minutes later. Going for a run out of gas because my shop and tell me that they drove my car all over the place I just picked it up. This experience was extremely scary. I had a drivers just show up at a nowhere - doesn’t even speak to me. It’s in front of my car starts backing up to it to hook me onto a tub when I was just waiting for gas and when I start to get out the car and the driver screens like a psychopath at the top of demanding me to get back into the car again. Another horrible experience with Supervisor and I step in the.

They finally showed up 45 minutes later. Going for a run out of gas because my shop didn’t tell me that they drove my car all over the place I just picked it up. This experience was extremely scary. I had a drivers just show up at a nowhere - doesn’t even speak to me. It’s in front of my car starts backing up to want to hop me onto a tub when I was just waiting for gas and when I started to get out the car and the driver screens like a psychopath at the top of demanding me to get back into the car again. Another horrible experience with Supervisor Office area who is as true cold-hearted, nasty person.

Original review: May 5, 2019

My boyfriend's car broke at the food lion parking lot in Raleigh at the intersection of Gorman and Avent Ferry. We called AAA for towing. They said they'd arrive in one hour. We said OK we would wait. My boyfriend waited there for an hour and a half, still nobody arrived. He had to cancel the towing and walked home in the rain. Terrible experience. If they cannot arrive within one hour, they shouldn't have said they would arrive in one hour.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I wish I could remember the CSR I spoke with today. I can't remember his name, but I hope he reads this review because he doesn't have a clue about customer service. It's a long story. I called AAA this morning to have my car towed to a shop because no one showed up the night before when I was stranded on the side of the road for 3 hours. I told him I wasn't with the vehicle. I left the key in the car for the tow company because I was told that they could tow the car if the key was with the car even though I am not.

The CSR blurted out that I had to be with the vehicle. I said "no I don't." He said "yes you do, I work here and I should know." Umm... I am a CSR also with another company and I know that is the wrong thing to say to a customer, especially a customer that is already frustrated and angry at the service so far. I hung up and called right back. This time I got a woman. She was very polite and listened the entire time at my complaint, unlike the guy that I just spoke to. Guess what?! She connected me to someone that could help me and this person got a tow truck to go pick up my car and tow it to a shop-WITHOUT ME BEING THERE WITH THE VEHICLE!! The tow company called me and was able to take my car to the shop. That is all the CSR first CSR had to do, was listen.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I locked myself out my car and I called AAA and they were very kind on the phone. The technician dispatched to me, Dakota, arrived quickly, was very nice and unlocked my car door promptly, took about a minute. This was my first time having to call AAA and felt embarrassed calling them over such a small issue but Dakota was very understanding about it. Overall, was a good experience, happy and thankful for their help.

Original review: April 28, 2019

Probably one of the worst experiences of my life. Broken down on interstate 95 with six lanes of heavy traffic my son and I were stranded and called AAA and they said a tow truck would arrive in about 45 minutes. After waiting 45 minutes without hearing anything I called AAA and the operator was very short with me and said I need to wait at least an hour and he didn't follow up or check status of the driver. I then called back 20 minutes later after not hearing anything and the dispatcher said it would be at least another hour! I then called a friend who went to the auto parts store bought the belt I needed picked up some tools and brought them to me. I repaired the car got it running and left after 3 hours. Halfway home I got a call from a tow truck driver saying he would be there soon! Thanks AAA for leaving me and my son stranded for 3 hours in heavy traffic and 95 degree sun. Next time I will not renew my membership and rely on friends instead!

Original review: April 27, 2019

Got a flat tire on a back road in Livermore CA on Tesla Rd. No phone service or emergency sideline to pull over. I had to allow a stranger to drive me down the hills to get phone service to call AAA @5:27 pm. I was told someone will help me in 45 mins or less since I was in a unsafe area. 3hrs later still no AAA. I called 911 (cause that the only person my phone would call with no service) @ 8:31. They attempt to call AAA also for me and sent out a CHP. A officer did not show up until 9:00 pm. He radio in to see where AAA was and was told they was on the way. He waited with me but by 9:45 pm no one came. So the officer had change my tire with the little bit of tools we did have to get me on my way. I’m so so thankful for him. I was headed home by 10 pm.

Original review: April 26, 2019

On April 2, 2019 I called to order the free maps for an upcoming trip in May. I told the rep, Jenna, which state maps I needed. She acknowledged my request. She then said she would "review" my account. She mentioned upgrading to a PLUS membership. I agreed to it, was charged the increased rate on my credit card immediately and 2 weeks later got my new gold membership card in the mail. 24 days after ordering my maps I called back to learn the maps had never been ordered. But Jenna probably met her sales quota for April 2. Good customer service? I think not. I did express my dissatisfaction to a supervisor.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Received a letter canceling my grandson's membership, which I gave him for high school graduation. AAA advertises their membership makes perfect gifts for the graduates in our life. I beg to differ. I have been a 40 year plus member and received a letter, without warning, that my grandson's membership was canceled immediately as a result of the membership being used disproportionately or falling outside the terms and conditions as explained in the member guide. I hate I could not afford to purchase him a brand new car, but even my new car had to have a tow due to a faulty pre-collision system rendered it undrivable out of my driveway.

When I called the AAA Carolinas Member Services phone number to question the 'drop' cancellation of service and asked for an explanation of their vague verbiage, I was told by their Associate that my grandson 'exceeded' what AAA considers to be "average" number of calls. I asked her what was considered average and she responded 1 or 2 times was considered average.

I responded that well I guess I too exceeded my limit. I also questioned why there was no notice whatsoever. I asked to speak to a supervisor or someone to 'explain' that my grandson's used car had a bad alternator and was towed, then a small hole in the radiator, I had that replaced, then it needed a new water pump, which I replaced, then another alternator because the first one was defective, then I replaced the engine, during which time a wire was not put back as it should, requiring another tow for diagnostics & tighten the wire. A flat tire on his car and a flat tire while he was driving my truck.

I should have canceled 3 years ago after my husband sat on a desolate road for 4 hours in Alabama waiting on an AAA approved tow truck who missed him, drove to the next exit and took 30 minutes to return. Now I am in search of a new roadside assistance program! Do NOT give a membership to the graduates in your life. I had to laugh when I saw that advertisement in GO magazine! I am embarrassed that I gave this worthless gift.

AAA expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

• Best for: AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information