AAA - American Automobile Association

Compare Roadside Assistance Services

Research top Roadside Assistance Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Nancy of Cincinnati, OH on

AAA told me that if I had my car towed to Bob Sumerel on Ridge Rd that they would be able to get back with me in an hr with an estimate and I would get 10% off so I let them tow it there. It took 3 hrs before they got back to me and I was told my fuel pump needed replaced. When they quoted me I found out the 10% discount was just on labor charges. When I got my car back the next day it was making a strange sort of vibrating noise now and then and so I took it back and they said it was the heat shield vibrating because one of the clamps was rusted and broke off so it wasn't secure. I'm not sure why nobody notified me of that before giving it back to me. It wasn't making the noise before it was brought in.

I took it into another place and was told 3 of the hangers/clamps were broke and needed welding. I feel that they got broke while it was being fixed since it never made the noise prior, even though they were rusted and maybe not their fault that they broke, Bob Sumerel should have told me about the problem. I feel that I was overcharged because I called the dealer and they would charge $50 less for the fuel pump than I was charged and an auto supply store charged $200 less for the same part. Also when the AAA person came out to try to get my car started during his troubleshooting he said that it wasn't the battery and it's not the fuel pump cause he heard it kick on when the ignition was turned so I can't help but feel that I was ripped off here and that I got bad customer service. I didn't know at the time that AAA owned Bob Sumerels and I feel that is why they told me incorrect info for me to get my car in and then was taken advantage of.

Susan of Fair Haven, VT on

I have been a member for 10 years plus. I have only used this service 4 times, and all 4 times, service was prompt about (20 minutes) and the company that was dispatched contacted me on their way to my location to let me know they were in route. This time, however, the service was terrible. I called AAA at 4:55 pm on Monday, March 13, 2017 for a flat tire change, and was on hold for 7 minutes before an agent answered. I was in Rutland, a small city, with several repair/tow service businesses within 5 minutes of my location. They said it would be 40 minutes, and gave me the name of the company that they were dispatching. After hanging up, I googled that company and found that they were 15 miles outside of the city. I called back (about 10 minutes after the first call) and informed the agent that there had to be multiple companies within 2 miles of where I was and that it would most likely be quicker for them to dispatch a more local business.

They agreed and again told me it would be 45 minutes and that someone would let me know when they were in route. I waited 40 minutes without hearing from them, so I called them back only to find out that the business they dispatched had called them back and said that they were unable to do the service. Now they are dispatching yet another company. Also, I was told that 40 minutes is an estimate and not a guarantee. I am not sure why the first company could not come, any driver should have been able to change the tire. Now, they are dispatching another company, and at this time the estimated time of arrival for service is yet another 45 minutes. This time I did receive a follow up call to let me know that they actually had a service person paged and responding, and I got a text that someone would be there by 6:45 pm. We are talking almost 2 hours from the original call in a city with at least 10 service stations nearby.

By that time, all of the area businesses are closing because it is now after 5 o'clock and it is about 15 outside. Finally, at 6:30 pm, a guy from a local company in a Blazer shows up and is able to do the service. AAA's customer service people were not very pleasant and I think that maybe they are not paying their contractors well, and many businesses no longer participate with AAA. This would explain their inability to get someone to me timely. Thinking I might not renew in April... disappointed.

Russell of Marion, IA on

AAA is without a doubt the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. Their agents for the most part are not knowledgeable of what they are selling and there is NO personal touch or human contact at all. Unless you call them and after about a 10 to 15 minute hold the person on the other end seem's very friendly. Of course by this time, I'm mad and not as pleasant as I should be. Sorry guys, but you got to get it together. AAA is great for discounts on other things. Just not insurance.

Stephen of Philadlephia, PA on

Never buy a AAA car battery. After being ripped off buying a AAA poor battery... Not only was it more expensive than batteries of the same type at all auto stores but it didn't even last out half the warranty, so, I had you guys come out and replace it last Feb. Yesterday, I went to Auto Zone with the AAA dead replacement battery, which was toast after a year and spent 150.00 on a good battery. When AAA was informed how dissatisfied I am, their response was, pretty much, "Thanks for your business."

Karen of Wilmington, DE on

I am interested in the prerequisites for a position with AAA, Wilmington, DE as a Member Experience rep - inability to read, no concern with an actual member issue, pattern of not returning phone calls? I almost thought you were a State Employee! This location has dropped the ball. Run, do not walk, away! I will NEVER again use this company. I would rather be stuck in the middle of the desert with scorpions and rattlers coming for me as I traversed the landscape looking for a service station than to use these folks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Doug of Sparta, WI on

Moved from PA to WI 18 months ago. Tried numerous times to change address. AAA accepted address change, but kept me in PA section. Had to call 2-3 times to get it straightened out. I've kept WI account renewed since. PA tried to auto renew my PA acct last year, but I had a new card date, and I just ignored the attempts. This year they tried again and called me 3 times. Each time I told them I had moved and the PA account should not renew. This third call the rep lied when I asked if it was for the PA acct! I told him I'd go online and renew, and of course he said he'd do it for me, I refused. Went online line and as I suspected, my WI acct is up to date. They have the worst membership services organization.

Malinda of Cary, NC on

Customer service department personnel clearly need additional training in responsive, professional and courteous service. Conflicting/contradictory information provided in each call. Promised call backs did not occur. Staff member hung up on me. Failed to even attempt to reach an adequate resolution or adequately even understand the issue. Provided a resolution that was not requested or needed. Billing issue remains unresolved. Unresponsive/could care less.

Brandon of Anchorage, AK on

I called AAA on a Saturday at 7 pm. I am suppose to have the best coverage they offer which is the Premier RV. I called because I was at a movie theater and my battery was dead when I tried to leave. I just needed a jump start. They first told me they would be to me in two hours. I said no problem, they called back after a hour and said they can't get anyone to come. All the trucks are busy. I told them I would wait because I did not have any other way to jump start my vehicle. I explained to them I had no cash, and I was sitting in my car in the cold in the snow. They said "sorry we just talked to our companies and none of them have a truck powerful enough to jump start a vehicle."

That is a complete lie and everybody that has any sense knows that. Even the lady on the phone did not believe what she was telling me. Still they told me they could not help me and I was on my own. I had no money, no people I can call and I was left to leave my car and walk 10 miles home in the snow and in cold. AAA use to be a company you can trust but I am here to tell you that you cannot trust them in Anchorage Alaska to help you at all. AAA should be ashamed of themselves for what they did to me. I was completely lied to as a customer and left in snow and could have died because of AAA.

Mari of Riverside, CA on

I have been with AAA for over 8 years and never had a major issue with them. They are not perfect but very few corporate companies are. However, I will not be renewing our coverage with them. My battery was replaced by them in 2016. I had a warranty on it. A receipt was given to me however, I have not been able to locate the receipt for the battery replacement. The battery corroded in just a matter of 6 months. The acid ate right through my battery connector and I was stuck with no transportation late at night.

I had AAA come out, they sent a towing company. The driver admitted that the battery was bad but said it was under warranty. But he did not have any batteries in stock for my SUV. He said he had to order one and it would be in hopefully within a few days. I then called AAA a few days later and they ended up telling me that the year of my SUV is not covered for a battery replacement or warranty? They said they do not even show me in the system of ever having a battery replaced in 2016. Then they tell me that the battery cannot be replaced.

I then ask for a supervisor who tells me that she will honor the warranty. I explained that we cannot locate the receipt and I do not understand why I am not showing in the system of having the battery replaced by them in 2016. She did not have an answer but said for me to go and have the battery replaced with a 3rd party mechanic shop and send the receipt to her. She will then have us reimbursed for the battery. Something told me that this would not go as planned but I trusted her and did what she said. She even said she would have it expedited so we can receive our refund quickly since money is very tight for us. We are on a fixed income in my family household.

I had the battery replaced and sent in the receipt for the battery replacement right away and waited two weeks. I then called to find out the status. There were no notes showing that they had received my documents but they said they will have someone call me back on the status. I then receive a call that same day from a representative who then tells me that they need the actual receipt from 2016 when the battery was installed?! Big surprise, I knew that would come back into the equation. I explained the same story over again and let him know that the manager already said she would reimburse us even though we cannot find the receipt. He then said that the receipt is actually required since we are not showing in the system for some reason? I then tried calling the tow company but they could not locate anything for some reason as well?

After numerous calls and speaking to another supervisor since the previous one does not seem to be available, I was told there was nothing more that can be done. The most recent supervisor then tells me that because it is a different department handling the refund, they are requesting the actual receipt from 2016. That is a sad excuse to offer. At that point, I gave up and just decided to not renew my account with AAA. I already found another company who offer the same benefits and features.

It's upsetting that my information is missing from their system in 2016 for the battery replacement and then be told that my 2005 SUV is not covered for that year. It makes me think that something was not processed properly and someone messed up somewhere. I think it is odd that the information is missing from their system. And I now have to suffer financially for it. The only thing that brings me peace of mind is that I received a new battery from a reputable company who guarantees their battery. AAA would have just used another battery with the same company that gave me the battery before and that also damaged my SUV. Yet, AAA does not care that this happened. I am just another number and of no importance to them. Thank you for nothing AAA.

Nicki of Reisterstown, MD on

I cancelled my membership after having AAA for 19 years because I've only used their towing service 2 times. I now own 2 reliable vehicles and only work 6 miles from home. I do not need their service. The renewal department in Philadelphia, PA will not stop calling me. I have asked for them not to call me numerous times. They claim that they have no record of this. I've blocked multiple numbers from them, but they keep calling from different lines. This is harassment and should be illegal.

Dan of Overbrook, KS on

I was a member of AAA for well over 30 years. Sometime off and on because of military service and being stationed in foreign countries. Until last year I was a member for over 15 years straight, using the service once during that time. When they increased the annual fees to the point I thought it was not worth the cost considering I had paid them over $1000 in the past 15 years for one tow. Last year I cancelled. Today I reviewed a promotional offering a year's coverage for $57 with a promotion code. I call to sign up if next year's fees was not too much... It was not. I gave all my information to the lady I was talking to. She then asked me the number of miles I drive per day on average. Being retired it works out to be about 7 miles per day. She then explained AAA would tow me to the nearest AAA facility for free OR to the nearest location of my choice as long as it was within five miles of where I break down. After that the charge is $5 per mile.

Then she offered me the "150" mile plan for a little over $110. I said, "You must be kidding" and hung up. I would not have minded however nowhere in the documents I received did it say what was exactly covered for the $57. As I recall in the past I would receive similar promotional material, however the different plans and their costs were clearly described. I guess they think we cannot make decisions on our own and must be duped to join. As with the reviews I have read out of the over 700 posted here, AAA is nowhere close to being the company that it was in the past. Even if I thought the higher price was worth the service I am very glad I read these reviews! It sounds like even if the service was FREE it is not worth the hassle to be a member.

Karen of Homestaed, FL on

These people are so horrible and incompetent. I had a flat and called and they said I had to wait an hour, which is a long time to wait for a flat change. After an hour and no contact I called the company and had to wait for 20 minutes on the phone to finally get someone who actually gave a damn. The first person I spoke with said he just answers phones, the second argued with me that they didn't tell me an hour, I guess I made that up. He said they said it was a "projected time". No the person said an hour - period. Then they kept calling me back and telling me it was longer and longer and longer and 2 and half hours later, still no one. Who the hell pays for roadside assistance and gets an over 2 and half hour wait for that money? What the hell is that?! What a great opportunity for a company to open and do this right and put these bozos out of business.

Lazarus of Lansing, MI on

Not even the bare minimum in assistance for RV Plus membership. I have a small truck which was disabled within the constraints of my property and called AAA. Since I am mechanically inclined and have an equipped garage simply requested to have some assistance in order to move the vehicle (a small truck) inside the garage. The agent on the phone then stated that they could only send assistance to move my vehicle to a repair facility, but not provide the minimum assistance to move it into my own garage (a much faster and simpler proposition); that is truly the most obnoxious and absurd argument -- or lack thereof -- that I have ever heard. One could only imagine that they are corroborating with repair facilities to extort money from consumers whose membership and promise of service were nothing but a panacea at best and a fraud scheme at worse.

Laura of Westbrook, ME on

I purchased AAA for my children for Christmas. There has been 2 occasions that they needed a tow truck. It was snowing on both days and they were stuck both times. BOTH times they were told they will not tow them because they are too busy! I said this was unacceptable and I wanted to file a complaint. The response by Sam was - she would let someone know. I pay for a service and they do not provide a service. I am extremely disappointed that they will need to sleep in a cold truck all night long because AAA refuses to send a tow truck for a day!

ernesto of Tucson, AZ on

I work at Big O tire on valencia. DORTHY ** brought her car in because it would not start. We ran a charging system test found out the battery was bad. Dorthy said it was under warranty thru AAA Service. She said she would call them on tuesday 2/7/2017, did not show up till thursday 2/9/2017 about 4 pm. She call me that they had not called her back. I told her the guy had left around 4:30 and it was done. ARRON did not contact her. She needed her car we then went to pick her up at her home.

She should have gotten better service from ARRON. He then wanted a read out on the test we did. I had a customer I was taking care of keep ask for a copy of the test. I told him I would get him a copy when I was done with my customer. He then parked his van in front of my door blocking traffic. I told him to park in a parking spot had an attitude that I told him to move it. He then calls my corp. office to complain that I did not have a print out for him and had to wait. He needed to take care of your customer instead of worried about a print out that he should have done himself.

Deborah of Arabi, LA on
Consumer Increased Rating!

I thought that I closed my account with AAA and when I saw the automatic charge on my credit card and called to request it removed, they refused to remove the charge. It was 1 month after the charge (since I didn't see it until time to pay my credit card). It seems like a good reputable company would prorate any service not used. This was a terrible experience and they cheated me. They only hurt themselves because I've used them off and on and purchased this for our son for a birthday gift but he didn't want me to renew his membership. I had no idea I was on automatic renewal. I will never use their service again.

Greg of River Falls, WI on

I have had service done on my vehicles several times and trusted AAA because of their name. Last time in to have oil change said I needed new brakes and rotors on car. ($500 for front, $450 for rear.) Said radiator bad. $400. Said power steering unit leaking needed to replace $800. Valve cover gaskets leaking $100. Now I wonder if I needed front brakes done and I had synthetic oil put in on the oil change and wonder if it was synthetic for $67.

Wow, said I couldn't afford all that said I should do front brakes immediately, so I did for $565, said I'd have to wait for rest. Called another repair shop close by asked how much for rear brakes, $100 dollars less than AAA. Went there,( Greenway auto) to do rear brakes, told them about everything else, said they would check out. Called a while later said rear brakes check out at 7mm. (new 10mm) said they are fine. Checked power steering, fine, little oil or grease around it but normal. Pressure tested radiator no leaks, a little low on antifreeze, but could have been intentionally lowered by AAA. (A quess.) According to Greenway auto I was being lied to about everything that needed to be done. Close to $3000 at AAA. Will never step foot in AAA again! AAA 15439 n 40th st Phoenix Az.

Meghann of Tujunga, CA on

The tow truck driver was very kind and helpful. This complaint is not about him. It is about the service I received from AAA. My car was towed earlier today from my breakdown location to a mechanic shop. However, where the tow truck driver parked it, it was inaccessible to the mechanic shop. I called to see if they could get the tow truck to move it and waive the service so it would not count as one of my tows, and the AAA representative refused to allow that.

I feel that this is absolutely the most unprofessional way to handle the situation. It was obviously not my fault where the tow truck put the car, he should have known to put it in a place that was accessible to the mechanic if he was dropping it off for the mechanic. The fact that it was not put in an accessible place should be enough to get a complimentary tow order to correct the mistake. The whole point of getting the car towed to the place it was, was so that the mechanic could get to it. I am very unhappy with the way this was handled. I've been a member for 37 years and I am this close to canceling my membership.

Linda of Manteca, CA on

I have the top Roadside Service thru AAA and it is not cheap! I very rarely have to use the service but had a flat tire when I got in from a out of town air flight Saturday night, 11:12 pm. I called for a tow assistance and was told it would be 1 to 1.5 hrs and that I would receive updates. No updates till I called them back 11:59 PM and then was told they are on their way and I should expect arrival 12:30 AM. Palace Garage Tow showed up and wanted me to DRIVE my car out of the lot as he did not want to damage his new $10,000.00 rig. I refused but did back it out of the parking stall for him. He was rude, putting it mildly. The companies they hire are not very reputable companies and this is not the 1st time I had issues. Length of time to wait is unexcusable, especially for a woman by herself.

Brendon of Cincinnati, OH on

I'm the son of a 75 year old woman who has had AAA for over twenty years. Her car wouldn't start a few months ago so she called AAA. The gentleman came out and told her she needed a new battery which she bought from AAAs onsite battery service. The car wouldn't start three days later, yet a rapid clicking could be heard. I know what this means. It means the solenoid doesn't have enough power from the battery to start the car. When the battery tech from AAA arrived he recharged the battery, tested it and said it was fine. Two days after, car won't start, same symptoms. Tech comes out, same result. This time the tech says its possible that the battery post is loose or not connected properly. Recharged the battery, got the car started, left. Third visit, tech arrives, blames the problem on a possible interior light or some other power draw from the car draining the battery, recharge, left. Seeing a pattern here?

Now, a week later, after my mother has specifically started her car every day, the car is dead, a rapid clicking is heard upon attempting to start it. My mother called AAA customer service and spoke with a gentlemen by the name of Kevin who informed her all he could do was send out a tech to test the battery. That's all they can do, and if it tests ok they will have to charge her for the visit because all of her entitled benefits have been used up. All of her entitled benefits have been used up with visits concerning this one battery! I know for a fact that if a tech comes out he will find an excuse not to replace the battery. My mother just wants a refund of her money that she paid for the battery.

Through what became a heated discussion, my 75 year old mother on the verge of frustrated tears, Kevin told her he would not connect her with anyone else or a supervisor after she asked repeatedly. She asked at least 5 times and at every turn he refused.My mother just wants her money back from the faulty battery and to be done with AAA. I cannot believe, coming from a customer service background, that a company would fight this hard to keep an old ladies money. Money for a product that doesn't work. At this point she doesn't even care about the money, she has to find roadside assistance elsewhere, because even if she chose to keep AAA this fiasco has left her without any benefits from the service until February. She feels, and I feel, betrayed by a company that I trusted. If anyone from the organization cares about the perception of your company and how it treats its customers please reach out to me at **.

Christa of Paulsboro, NJ on

After speaking with a representative and being informed that I could receive a refund for towing and hadn't received same in a timely manner another call was made. After forwarding the original Bill and other info requested I received a call that my case was being processed. However to date have not received the aforementioned. Referenced person Liz.

shannon of Pensacola, FL on

I have been a long standing member with AAA. My son's vehicle broke down and had to be towed. My husband called around 8:45 and the tow truck arrived around 10:20. I called to get an estimated time when the tow truck should arrive. The operator informed me that she could not give me that information because, even though I paid for the membership, the cards had different membership numbers issued to individuals. This is one household, one membership. I was livid to say the least, and asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor advised me I had been given the wrong information, and was able to give me the name of the wrecker service to verify what time they should arrive. I can only imagine if I had been standing out with my vehicle at 10 o'clock at night, disputing facts about my membership to an operator who has no clue.

Joshua of Richmond, VA on

For quite some time now, despite reporting AAA to The Better Business Bureau, I still receive their vacation guide at this address every month. I have repeatedly mentioned that the person listed does not live here. They said they would remove this address from their mailing list, but they obviously haven't. If they can't remove somebody from a mailing list, I hate to think what I would have to go through to cancel their service.

John of Panama City, FL on

On Jan. 6 2017 (0900 AM) requested a tow from AAA roadside assistance. Conversed with dispatcher/phone operator that I need a flatbed tow truck to move my wife's 1999 Jaguar XK8 to the only shop in Panama City FL (EURASIA) that would work on it. Dispatcher asked me "does car start", I stated "no", however it is NOT the battery in that I installed a NEW battery the day before ($185.00) and that I called the local shop because the alarm system activated several days prior which in turn I believed was the root of the problem (Security Alarm Preventing Vehicle From Starting).

Background info on myself/age 57/have experience with auto related problems with domestic cars/trucks, current owner 73 CJ5 Jeep/2001 Dodge Ram 4x4: I am proficient in some vehicle repair issues on past and present vehicles I.E. Front Wheel Bearings, Charge Replace - Battery, Radiator, Starter, Alternator, Oil, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Air Filters, etc. Just wanting all to know I'm not ignorant on how vehicles work and can and do get my hands dirty maintaining them. Dispatcher asked me what I thought was wrong and I gave a brief explanation of what I've done I.E. replaced battery, called shop for DIY fix-reset alarm system, however will not start car and I need the flatbed truck to house. Additionally she was given all information on make and model of vehicle. With that she informed me that I should expect the DRIVER to arrive by 1100 AM.

While I'm waiting for tow truck I receive a call from my employer, Florida Wildlife Commission that we have a dead bear and ASAP I need to retrieve bear for proper disposal and investigation. I inform them I will depart as soon as tow truck removes car, but no problem I'll retrieve it. 1100 AM comes and goes so I re-dial and call dispatcher, I am informed that driver is running late, "SORRY but will be there in 45 minutes". At almost exactly 1145 a CAR drives up with two younger guys with the AAA logo. I approached the driver and stated, "WHERE IS THE FLATBED WRECKER." The driver stated, "THEY told us you needed a jump start and that your car will not start." With that I said I've waited 3 hours for NOTHING and a few choice words about AAA and the dispatcher. The driver then started stammering about AAA sending them on runs that people needed tows not jumps and that he was sorry.

With that I called AAA dispatcher and informed her of what has transpired, Long Wait For Improper Assistance With What I REQUESTED. She then apologized for incident and after putting me on hold told me my wrecker will be there in 45 minutes. An hour plus goes by and wrecker arrives, however instead of sending me a flatbed wrecker for the Jaguar XK8, a sling tow wrecker arrived. As he pulls up I state: "YOU'RE NOT TOWING THAT JAGUAR WITH SLING TOW." Driver states even if I wanted there's no way that type of car could be towed without a flatbed. He then states AAA when requesting service did not ask for a flatbed wrecker. I then ask him, "Can you get me what I need," and he calls back to his dispatch and informs me it will be an hour. He departs location and as you can imagine I'm fuming.

I now call AAA and ask for a manager at the dispatch center. After waiting 8 minutes on hold a manager answers. I then question this person on "What and the heck is going on with AAA, I've been a member for 17 years and have never had such incompetence", with that I gave him the entire nightmare scenario just far. He then asked me if he could ask me a few questions. Did I state the car would not start on my first call for assistance, did the initial AAA response car ever call me prior to arriving, did the wrecker driver or Co. call me prior to arrival??? I then stated, "YES told the dispatcher car would not start however gave her all information on what I DID and THAT I REQUESTED A FLATBED WRECKER, and on the other questions NO, no one called me prior to arriving."

The manager then explained that AAA is under a new management protocol that once the computer is tagged Car Will Not Start, they will NOT SEND a tow truck first, additionally I should of been contacted by both response drivers to ensure what I needed. He then explained that I fell in a category that management needs to figure out best to respond to because of the problems that I've encountered. That I should of been sent a wrecker due to my experience on understanding what I needed, both drivers should of called me to talk directly with me so that they would of known not to arrive but get me correct response, and that even the wrong Jaguar type was in the computer, S Type not XK8 from original dispatcher. Additionally I would receive a questionnaire/review form to state my opinion and problems with AAA as conversed to go to management.

In closing I informed him I now have been waiting 4 1/2 hours, still do not know if I really have a flatbed coming and can he at least give me some information on what's up? He then put me on hold for 5 min, returned to inform me wrecker will be there in an hour and yes it's a flatbed. He did acknowledge that AAA did not request a flatbed on original request. With that the wrecker arrived in an hour and half, with correct vehicle. Tow driver informed me that AAA is not what it used to be and that repeated problems persist with company on his end too. Driver departed at 3:00 pm, 6 hours later from initial call.

Note on Bear: As this problem kept going on I called my employer several times about bear issue, employer at 2:00 pm gave incident to another agent, thus I lost 100.00 job. THANKS AAA I SPENT ALMOST AN ENTIRE DAY WAITING, LOST $100.00 job. HOPE YOUR COST CUTTING INITIATIVE IS SAVING YOU big money? It is now Jan. 22 and have received no correspondence to rate incident or problem from AAA. The Jaguar did have an electrical problem in that a squirrel had eaten through several wires in motor area causing security system to activate. In closing I'm leaving AAA in May 2017, going with another provider Good Sam, or???

Renee of Howard City, MI on

We have been LOYAL customers to AAA since 1988, 28 years, and bought insurance from them for our two vehicles, our 3 children's vehicles, and our company vehicles! Much $ for these many long years to them. This past year, we moved our office to a new place, got a new office administrator who was fresh out of college, a very smart young man who is our son, and we lost our wonderful AAA agent Dave ** who we had since 1988. This is what occurred. Our daughter hit her deer and damaged her car greatly one evening. She called to report it and something was not right. AAA customer service were acting strange. They were not responding as usual to help us get our car into the body shop right away. I decided to call, and the representative stated to me that our insurance lapsed and there has been no coverage for over a month now. WHAT? Not one phone call! We did not know that we were not covered at all.

Dave ** was the BEST insurance man ever. He called us if there needed to be changes to our accounts or for any reason. He retired last year! I would think that if there was a problem as big as our policy lapsing, a person from AAA would have notified us by phone. They later after the fact of what happened, told us it was enough, to send out a letter and it wasn't their responsibility to call us. Well, the bill was overlooked in our new office and our son sent it out 4 days before the grace period ended in the mail.

In our business, we wait for sometimes months to a year to receive our pay from companies after doing a job. This is how it works in construction. In our son's mind, when he saw the bill, he had thought that it would be ok to send it since it was still before the grace period ended. He now knows he should have called in a payment, but dealing with late money coming in continually, he honestly didn't think this one time would hurt anything. I explained everything to the Customer Complaint Department Marquita **, and got nothing but a letter back stating it was all our fault and they were not going to help us at all. I wrote a letter to CEO Mr. Richardson, of AAA, and received another letter back from Marquita **, basically saying the same thing. It was our fault, etc, etc.

AAA is all about the money, and our policy has never lapsed once since 1988. We paid thousand of dollars to this company and had very little claims all these years. The one time our policy lapsed because the money in the mail didn't arrive in time, and all of those other circumstances that occurred, and our daughter hitting a deer, showed that AAA is NOT LOYAL TO THEIR LOYAL CUSTOMERS. I have to say and never thought I would say this in a lifetime, that I am thankful my daughter hit that deer by our house, because none of us had insurance coverage since AAA stopped it before we even realized there was a lapse in our coverage due to the late payment!!! We also are thankful to God that our daughter was uninjured and that our two sons and my husband and I did not have any accidents. It would have changed our lives completely if it had.

We are sad that our AAA company of 28, yes 28 years did not even care. It's all about money to them, not people. In our business, if we did this to our people we do work for, we would never have a business. INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE TOO MUCH POWER AND HARD WORKING PEOPLE'S MONEY! It's time for America to stop this over usage of power that has been given to Insurance companies. AAA Failed us completely!

hamid of Okemos, MI on

I am a gold card membership holder. I called for roadside assistance tonight (it is January 12, 2017, and it is -12 F) and I was told I have to wait about one hour till assist get there. I told the agent that it is frozen out there and it is impossible to stay one hour, but she said she can't help about the time provided that I was only five minutes far from downtown. Finally, they didn't show up and I got assist from police. Can you believe that? This is awful. It is worthless. I will cancel it and never work with AAA again.

PaperSky of Beaverton, OR on

What a complete joke the battery service they offer is. I put a service order using their AAA mobile app because my battery is completely dead and was unable to jump it. I realize we got a lot more of snow last night but when they called me they said the service trucks who do the battery service are not even out today. Hey AAA have you ever heard of chains for your cars or trucks. They basically told me that it might be a couple of days and to call back tomorrow.

I asked if she could leave my service ticket active and she said no and to just call. Well after holding for 45 minutes I opted for the mobile app route which basically doesn't mean anything. I asked well should I put another ticket in tomorrow & they said to call except I really don't want to be on hold for another 45 minutes to have some super rude person treat me like crap. Not sure why it's even called roadside service. Way to leave me stranded AAA. Get your act together. Do you not notice your rating is one star. Words cannot express how livid I am.

Victoria of Marmet, WV on

Last night I was stranded in middle of God's country, on a solid sheet of ice on side of a hill (yes it's a road). Called triple A at 2:30 a.m. was told they'd arrive at 3:01 a.m. Then it went to 3:30 a.m. actually arrived at 3:15 a.m. I was watching from where I was, flashing lights so he'd see me. Then as I watch him sitting in front of the road I'm on, he keeps driving, turns around and leaves. Says he can't help, couldn't get up the road!!! He didn't even try. I was in a front wheel drive sports car, almost made it to the top then slid, almost over the mountain. Yet all I got from him was, "Sorry, can't get up that road". Oh yeah, did I mention it was 11, I was freezing. He just left me there to fend for myself. And that's exactly what I did. I got the car to where it was straight and backed it off the mountain. Took me 15 minutes but I SUCCEEDED!!! Yes, indeed I did. And HE FAILED!!! I'm done, will never use them again EVER!!!

Mike of King Of Prussia, PA on

Told them do not automatic renew membership a year ago, but they did anyway (2nd time). When I called, any random person in any office could pick up the call. I had to repeat three times the same info b/c they would transfer you to another random person if they don't want 'waste' time making a new sale. These female 'agent' are absolutely terrible... they only worry their sales commission. I ended up having to call my credit card company to dispute $196 they stole from me and told them to block AAA forever. Read this warning... do not deal with AAA ever. This is not same company.

M. of Jamestown, RI on

I purchased a AAA battery on 1/4/17 through roadside assistance since my battery was dead and he recommended it. The turnover with the replacement dragged causing starter to whine. I asked for another and was told it was my starter. The vehicle had just been serviced by the dealer. I ran the car all day to charge up the battery. The next morning 1/5/17 the car was hard to start. I stopped at a reputable auto store and they tested the battery. It was bad. He said call AAA they are good. I did. They sent another truck who angrily stated the battery was fine, where's my printout but it won't matter anyway. I went back and it was another shift. They tested the battery and it was bad. They called for me. AAA understood my concern commuting and the impact on the starter and alternator. Both tested fine for the auto store that urged me to replace it AAA and the dealer. I have to call their consumer office during business hours.

I cannot remove the battery or will have no recourse for reimbursement. It was after 5 when they decided to make me go through the business office and with the knowledge of me commuting in a predicted snow storm. I will find out today after 9 although stressed it was negligent and it was 24 hours. My bad expensive battery now. I will find out what they say in 6 hours although not hopeful after the hours we spent trying to rectify it tonight. I've been a member since 1975.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.
  • Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.
  • Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.
  • A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.
  • Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.
  • International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.
  • Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.
  • Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.
  • Best for AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Compare Roadside Assistance Services