Find a Roadside Assistance Services partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

AAA - American Automobile Association Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA - American Automobile Association?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: July 6, 2021

I have had a very impressive experience dealing with the Car Care Plus Dept. After having serious engine trouble on my Dodge Challenger and a problem with the person who towed my vehicle to the wrong location, Bonifacio ** made sure that he established a great clear line of communication with me about my vehicle, and kept me informed on what was going on with my vehicle and explained technical lingo in plain english. He even stated he heard about my vehicle troubles prior to my car arriving, gave me a discount probably because he understood my long road to getting my Dodge Challenger running the way it was meant to and simply provided a great customer experience!

This is the skill set a representative of any company who has to deal with customers of diverse socio-economical backgrounds should be trained like, nothing below this standard of care. The great thing is I also experience this with another AAA representative named Alma ** who was responsible for receiving my vehicle, checking it into the service department and assigning it to a technician. I wish I knew the technicians' name because they also went above and beyond in their job with AAA. AAA has their team together the right way!

Original review: June 28, 2021

Just recently I signed back up for AAA Towing. I had canceled it during the Covid crisis and now that we are getting out more with our recreational vehicle on the road I signed back up. I had my coverage previously for years and never used it but little did I know two weeks later... There I was detailing my son's car as he has been extremely busy lately. I discovered a spare key under the floor Matt so I set it aside while cleaning and I had the other key in the ignition, as I switched sides cleaning I shut the door and went to the other side of the vehicle to discover I had locked myself out.

After realizing I wasn't getting back in, a few choice words I remembered??? I had recently signed back up with AAA. I grabbed my card made the call and in a little over an hour Tom with Schmer's Towing arrived and within 5 minutes I was back in action. Now I know I was lucky because I live outside the city of Fort Collins Colorado in the mountains but sometimes lady luck throws you a bone. Tom was on his way back from a call in Cheyenne Wyoming and headed my way. What a gentleman Tom is polite, professional and skilled. No paperwork, NOTHING! He was at the house for 15 minutes and back on the road. AAA took care of everything and the mishap became a pleasant experience, thanks all!

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I'm reaching out because one of your team members, Bobby deserves recognition for his fantastic service, attitude and genuine care for the customer and their vehicle. I had received battery service a few months prior and one of your drivers had falsely informed me my car would not start and needed an abundance of work done before it could start.

On Sunday February 20th your driver Bobby arrived and did everything in his power and then some to not only get my car to start but he also ensured my car would continue to run. I don't know much about cars or what's under the hood but thanks to Bobby I now do. He not only showed me what I needed to do, but he gave me step by step instructions on how to keep my car running. I felt like I was being taught about my car by my own father. His service alone deserves the highest praise but he also had the best attitude and advice I had ever received from any kind of vehicle service business (Mechanics included). Now I don't know much about your business but I believe there is no man that deserves a promotion more than Bobby, a great technician and a better person.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

I love AAA. I have no one that can come help me when I have car problems. My daughter lives in another city. I had an older Ford Taurus that started having a lot of battery problems. I would get stranded at really bad times, not that there's ever a good time to have car trouble. It was always good to know someone was on the way to help me. The reason I only gave 4 stars is because one time when my car had to be towed to a shop I asked the driver where a good shop was. They do have shops that work with them. He told me the name of the shop and he dropped me off at my home on the way to take the car to the shop to be repaired. When I got home is the first chance I had to look up ratings for this particular shop and they had terrible ratings by customers. So I called AAA back and explained what had happened and told them I wanted my car taken someplace else.

The driver that was taking my car to the shop did not want to go back and get the car and bring it to a shop close to my house. I just happened to remember the name of the shop I had passed and looked and saw they had good ratings. So AAA told me they'd send someone to get my car and take it to the second shop the next morning. In the meantime the owner of the shop it was at had time to call me and argue with me about why I wanted the car to be taken someplace else and not fixed where he was. If they have shops working with them I think they should look into what customers have had to say before just suggesting the shop and it ends up having really bad ratings. I think that should be part of their responsibility is to steer you in the right direction.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I am pleased with my service but sometimes the customer service reps can be something to deal with. My son was stranded and called AAA. Somehow someone that was either riding with him or standing nearby started yelling that no one was going to move their car. The CSR overheard the conversation and refused to send help. When I called, the CSR told me what she had heard and had spoken with a supervisor who advised her not to send a tow truck. I connected my son 3 way and was asking what was wrong and to explain what car he was in. To no avail did the CSR budge. I live approximately 2 hours from my son, and had to travel to get to him and move the car. She said I had to bring proof that the car belonged to me and not the person that was yelling. I can understand her hesitation at first, but after speaking with me she should have believed me instead of the other person. Very disappointed after that.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Dear AAA, Thank you for 16 years of loyal membership (on my part); thank you for being (kind of) there when I needed you; thank you for providing peace of mind while I drove the roads of America ... and (with my tongue placed firmly in my cheek) thank you most of all for, out of nowhere, CANCELING MY COVERAGE USING A VAGUE PARAGRAPH ON "PAGE 41" OF YOUR HANDBOOK.

It's comforting to know that you "had my back" as long as my usage of my 16 year old service use was not "excessive." This notwithstanding that there were many years where I paid my annual family premium and made no use of any services at all! Thank you for being a stand-up company! (My tongue is still firmly planted in my cheek.) I sincerely hope that this review makes more people check with their auto insurance company for roadside assistance coverage rather than AAA! P.S. - My daughter was awarded a free year of coverage because she was kept waiting for more than 4 hours for a tow. AAA canceled that as well!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I needed a tow yesterday. I called AAA and their recording said to use their APP so I did. App said tow truck was on the way and would be there in 45 minutes. After 45 minutes I received a phone call from AAA saying they were just then going to start searching for a tow truck company! They never found a company who would come out because it was Sunday. This was in Peoria, AZ... which is a large suburb of Phoenix. I cancelled my AAA policy and requested a refund before I ever got a tow. I had to find a tow truck on my own. Worst service ever. AAA obviously cannot be counted on.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

This is my second experience with Triple A. The first time, they took 2 days to tow my car to a car garage. Today, I am stuck on the street and it’s night, I called for service and customer service is telling me that she can’t find anyone to send to me. She is asking me to try to get a towing company and they will reimburse me or to leave the car, which I told her that it would get towed by police, and she will send for it the next day. The membership is a waste of money.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

LET US DOWN! My son was stranded on 290 at 8:00 pm… My son was stranded on 290 at 8:00 pm last night with cars and trucks passing at 100 miles an hour. He called AAA and they said 1.5 hour wait. He told them to send a flat bed because he had all wheel drive. When the truck showed up 2 hours later they sent the wrong truck. They then said it would be another 1.5 hours.

Our plan would only cover 5 miles so I upgraded to premium and they charged my account immediately but told my son it wouldn't take effect for 3 days and quoted him 3.00 a mile. When the truck dropped him off the driver wanted cash (who carries $175.00 cash around) and then charged $6.00 per mile!! Got home to Elgin at 11:45!! Triple AAA is a joke. We've been paying in all these years and never used it. We have 5 members on it. What a racket! For that service last night they should have given him a huge discount for inconveniences. I don't recommend them. Call your own tow truck and save the money!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

I got a break down on New Jersey highway. Call Triple A like seven time. Got me bounce around for two hrs with no help and I got the plus membership which will tow 100 miles. I end up took the train with my whole family to get back home in Queens. Still waiting for the tow truck. They told me assistant will call me. No one never did. Plus I waited 20 min to get a live agent’s and she hang up on me. Worst company ever.

AAA author review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information