AAA - American Automobile Association

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

AAA - American Automobile Association Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA - American Automobile Association?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: May 12, 2022

I have been a AAA member since college and only used its services when my car had issues. They were always reliable when I would call. Some days I would need to wait longer for their services due to high demand but they would always be there and never not showed up. My fiance and I were planning our honeymoon and my mother suggested we use AAA travel service, she said it was free for members. Well, we contacted AAA, and set up an appointment, they asked us where we were traveling and what dates, etc.

By the time we got to our appointment the travel agent had everything taken care of, a variety of flights and times for us to choose from, places to stay to choose from, prices, and papers printed off for things to do. All we had to do was pay for our plane tickets, rental car, and hotel rooms. After we left the travel agent kept in contact with us letting us know of changes and telling us what we should do with said changes. It has been great and I highly suggest using them next time you decide to go on a trip!

Original review: March 28, 2022

On snowy winter night I called Triple A for a tow. I got flat tire on hwy and pulled off the tow was prompt but the tow co. didn’t want to tow me to Pennsylvania so they opted for tire change. Strangely the tow driver call over radio for help in changing tire from his co. RONS towing. Between the two of them they didn’t tighten the lug nuts so ten miles later my wheel came off on hwy. I called Triple A and they told me to call 911 since I was in middle of hwy my vehicle was totaled from this, however Randy from Triple A north and Alisha from New Jersey Triple A helped me file a claim and I was reimbursed by them for damages the towing company caused I’ve always used Triple A and for my loved ones they come faster too.

Don’t just think that your roadside service from your insurance company is enough. It’s the times slower and you don’t get the miles covered like AAA does. Triple A is the best for you and your family! Thanks AAA for your reliable coverage I’ll always use them.

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2022

In the past week, I've needed to call AAA on two occasions: for a dead battery and to tow my car that had a flat tire. In both incidences, I received excellent service on the phone, in the quick responses, and in person. The battery was quickly analyzed, determined it was dead and a new battery installed! The tow truck driver was most helpful and got the spare tired inflated so I could drive it to the tire store. I've had AAA for over 30 years (in Arizona, California, and Minnesota). Even though I have rarely needed to call them, when I have needed help, I've always received courteous, helpful, and quick service. Thank you to all who work at AAA - from those who take the phone calls, to those who meet with the customers to help solve their car problem!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Last night my serpentine belt on my BMW 328I snapped while driving. At 10:38pm I requested assistance through AAA, of which I am a member. Estimated time until a tow truck could be sent was 239 minutes. 4 hours!! I didn't like it, but I had no choice really. Fast forward to 1 am and my app had not updated any info at all so I called the 800# and the woman told me the driver was finishing up a service call and would be calling me very soon.

My arrival time, according to the app, states 2:15am. Well, now it's 3:05am and ive yet to hear anything , no calls, no updates, so I called back again. The woman put me on hold for about 5 minutes, came back to the line and said "your driver had some delays and will arrive in about 30 minutes." Okay. Fingers crossed. Then I got a text with a link to see where my tow truck was coming from.

A very nice man arrived with a flatbed. Took my key, attempted to put my car into neutral but the battery was dead. He got his jump box, tried to jump it and still nothing. Not wanting to destroy my car, he couldn't get it onto his truck without going into neutral. He asked me how long id been waiting, I said "about 5 hours - since 10:30". He said "oh man. I'm sorry. I usually have about 15 service calls a nite and tonight you're only my 5th one, so something must be up with the dispatch system.". He felt bad he could not tow my car and that i sat and waited all that time for nothing. He asked how far away I lived and I told him about 12 miles. He offered to at least drive me home and I gladly accepted rather than waiting for family to answer a phone or pay for an Uber home.

So while my car sits, locked, in a parking lot, broken down, I have to make arrangements to get back to my car tomorrow, again call AAA and tell them I need a truck with dollies because my car won't get into neutral. AAA could have at least told me their system was down, or behind or experiencing problems. The truck driver was very kind, patient, did what he could do and even went out of his way to drive me home when he did not have to. Kudos to Matthew the tow truck driver.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

I am a long-time customer of AAA and have always had consistently excellent service from AAA roadside assistance, but had to write a review now bc in the past month, my family has utilized roadside assistance at least 5 times! We have had someone locked out of their car at night with no access to spare key, a flat tire, a bad alternator, a dead battery, and then a really bad leaking battery that smelled like rotten eggs!!! In the last event, I want to compliment AAA's roadside responder, Nick, who had to get an odd battery delivered from the office and install it on a dark, wet and cold evening. This service is a must-have for everyone, but truly, if you have teen drivers, it will provide peace of mind!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

I WOULD GAVE 0 STARS IF I COULD!!! In the 5 years that I’ve had AAA, I only called for a tow twice. The first time I was given an ETA of 2 hours. After the 2 hours, I was told that the driver was nearby my location in Ohio. Meanwhile, I was in Miami Florida. Not sure where they got that location, when I gave the zip code and address when I called for the service and repeated the address multiple times. After that, I waited an additional 2 hours and walked home before getting a call that they would be 20 minutes away. Today, October 1st, 2022, I put in a service request at 0702 in the morning, to be told at 1227 that the driver is 20 minutes away, when the mechanic shop closes at 1300. Thanks for nothing AAA. Your company is the worst I’ve dealt with. The only good thing is that you can get in your car when you lock yourself out. NEVER CALL FOR A TOW!!! THIS COMPANY IS THE WORST THERE IS!!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

I had called AAA for 2 flat tires and the dispatcher sent a AAA pick up truck 6 hours later. I thought they would have sent a flatbed. The driver in the pickup told me that he didn't have Jacks to jack up the truck to change the tires. He also said that he wasn't allowed to repair 2 flats. He then told me I would need to call AAA back and request a tow truck. I feel like the dispatcher should have been aware that her service pick up trucks aren't allowed to repair 2 flats. So after 7 hours I was still stranded and didn't get my truck towed until the next day. AAA service has really went down the toilet. I would recommend using a different roadside assistance service.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

Last night at mid-night, our vehicle was hit by a deer. We were not hurt but our vehicle was not drivable. We called police and they arrived quickly. We called AAA to have car towed and were told someone was coming- name of company and where it would be towed. We waited 4 hours! Called several times. Each time was told they will call us and that we need to stay with car. Our lives were endangered by sitting there with hazards on all night with tractor trailers flying by.

By 4 am we were told no one would come till 7 am - so get ride home and come back. We did, only to call from vehicle at 7am and when they answered they have no record of our request. Did process again and waited till 10am. Called again and AAA said we need to start over. We had 4 texts proving we called with reference numbers. She herself committed to calling back by 11am to be sure someone came. NO ONE EVER DID!!! We called insurance to put in claim and within few hours they sent tow truck! We could leave vehicle with keys hidden and go home. It’s now 8pm and still no call from AAA. I am cancelling my subscription I have had for over 25 years! First time I really needed them and they failed miserably!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

AAA took my money without any mention of labor shortages, is very noncommunicative and farms out their work. I got ripped off! After a 4-hour delay, they tried for 5. Then they started lamenting the lack of labor, etc. Never again. AAA has long tried to use any little thing to escape a service call, but today THIS AAA is only a shell of the old one. Just call a tow truck. It will invariably be faster. AAA is a "tick" on the business (opinion).

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

AAA canceled our roadside assistance insurance without:

1. Notice that the account was unprofitable for AAA and that our usage would have to be diminished or the account would be permanently canceled.

2. Any ability to reinstate or even COMPENSATE AAA for its loss on the account.

We were told a "corporate committee made the cancellation decisions and there was no redress or extenuating circumstance reinstatement available. I even offered to pay them the amount they lost on the account so that my wife would have the service for safety reason. There was zero interest from AAA. Is this the tyranny of monopoly?

AAA author review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information