Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
AAA - American Automobile Association
1.32/5

AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1223 AAA - American Automobile Association Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Called AAA on Monday Jan. 21 around 215 pm to request assistance with a dead battery. Lady said help will arrive within a couple hours. I say ok. Person from roadside assistance place calls ten minutes later and says it's gonna be more like 2.5-3 hours and they will come help jump my car. I asked if they had any tools to help test my battery and she said no. Asked if they had any batteries for purchase that they could put in for me and she said no. Ok then what good are you?? I cancelled the request, waited for my husband to get home, jumped the car myself, drove to the nearest auto parts place and had the worker dude replace my battery. Was back home within 30 minutes, no thanks to AAA.

I truly dont know what good it is having them because they are completely useless. Do not care about their customers. Luckily that particular day, I was stuck at home (car died in driveway) so I was thankful I didnt have to wait for hours along the roadside in the 15 degree weather. I can't believe a company specializing in roadside assistance would be so useless, especially to people that are potentially waiting in the cold. Like I said, luckily I wasnt. But what if I was?? AAA, how do you sleep at night knowing you're making people wait in the frigid temps?? I will not be referring AAA to anyone, in fact when our membership expires, I will be dropping them. I refuse to put my hard earned money into something that is not going to be useful in my life. See ya, AAA!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

So when you actually need Triple A service you will spend over an hour on hold in freezing temps while they don’t answer. When your tow doesn’t ever show up three hours later as they said, and you call back, plan to be on hold over another hour before they answer AGAIN. When you ask what happened to your road assistance now they will tell you ‘there is no ETA, might be tomorrow, can’t say when”, and when you ask to speak to the manager on duty, they will hang up on you, forcing you to call back and be hold ANOTHER hour. Really. In the frigid zero degree weather, I kid you not.

Every time you wait on hold for an hour there will be a recording playing stating how much they want you to have a great experience. Good grief. We pay 300 dollars a year for our family for THIS? Our daughter needs service now, not some other unknown day and time. Will not renew this truly terrible service. If they can’t provide service when they KNOW full well people are going to be needing it (in the freezing cold) what is the point of them?

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We Have been members since 1993. My husband was having car problems on his way home from work. SINCE he was in heavy traffic he decided to go ahead and drive home then call AAA. When he called they would not tow the car as it was driveable. We did not feel that it was safe to drive as the check engine light was on, the car was shaking and had a burning smell. This was very disappointing and frustrating as we have been members for years and do not need to use the service often. It is very clear that they do not care about their customers.

I tried talking to a supervisor and no one would help. Also asked for Corporate phone number and was advised that the call would come back to their Barks County location which it did. Found another phone number for AAA complaints which only takes you back to the Barks County Office. For years AAA was a household name. NOW they are a company that does not care about customer satisfaction. If they don't change their ways they will be left by the side of the road.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I’ve literally been waiting in frigid temperatures on a tow for 5 hours! I’ve called numerous times and was told I was a priority call. I’ve been given 6 different arrivals times and still no tow truck. I will definitely not refer anyone or renew.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

AAA Premier RV customer many years. Husband died in home town at a restaurant, AAA would not tow because car was operable!!! Roadside service and customer service in constant decline in past years. After purchasing AAA auto coverage for my husband and my personal autos, they refused homeowner's coverage for questionable reasons. Dropping them, NEVER to return.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

My daughter ran off the road into a ditch on a heavily traveled highway. We contacted AAA and we're told that someone would be to our location by 12:45 pm to get the car out of the ditch. 12:45 p.m. came and went. So we called AAA again to inquire as to the estimated time of arrival of the tow truck. We were then told it would be 2:50 p.m. I asked why we were told 12:45 p.m. The customer service rep told us it was just the computer time, and that they had to depend on the tow truck. This is not the first time we have been given a specific ETA only to have it pushed back several hours. We pay for the Gold service and get nothing. I ended up calling a local tow service and will send the bill to AAA. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I had AAA replace my old battery. Within a week my vehicle did not start again. I called them back and they told me it was my vehicle and not their battery. When the technician came to the house he said the battery was bad and needed to be replaced. It has happened again. They told me it is not the battery but they will replace it this one last time. I have a new alternator and the vehicle was checked by the mechanic to see if there was a drain or if anything else was wrong with the vehicle. Nothing was wrong. The test showed the battery was bad this time but they yelled at me and told me it's not the battery's fault. They told me I have to take it to the mechanic again and have the vehicle look at even though it was done about two weeks ago. They said if I pay for another test which is about $95 they might replace the battery again if something happens. It has a 3-year warranty. Why are they yelling at me because the batteries are going bad?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

AAA. My wife signed us up for a membership with AAA. Our van had lately been acting up, and with several trips to the mechanic, we had as yet not resolved the issues. Just in case of a real disaster, she felt that a little extra insurance would be helpful. Sure enough, the night of December 17th, after taking my son to his mother’s house, misfortune struck. It was a cool Sunday, and I had to drive my son to his mum who lives in Fort Lee from my current wife and my Home in Brooklyn. At 4 in the afternoon the predicted rain began slushy with big flakes of snow mixed in. Roads became wet and flooded quickly. Puddles accumulated and crossed the entire breadth of the street. Traffic was slow.

Uneventfully we drove to Ft Lee and I dropped him off at his mum’s building door. I then turned and began the drive home. I turned off the George Washington Bridge, went down the ramp to join the Henry Hudson, and continued south toward lower Manhattan. I expected to eventually turn onto Canal street and cross to the Manhattan bridge, going back over to Brooklyn and home. I didn’t make it. Driving down the Henry Hudson, it was wet. There were huge puddles. Cars, and including my van, were slogging through deep bodies of water forming from the heavy downpour, and spraying up sheets of water, undoubtedly soaking the underside of the car as well as everywhere else. We were imbibed in a soaking, and I, as well as other drivers around me were also fighting the fogging up of the interior window surfaces. I had all the defrost and heat on full. The engine began to splutter.

By the time I reached Chelsea Piers. I had avoided stalling by shifting into neutral and revving the engine while coasting along the road in traffic. This worked till I had to stop at a traffic light. I had chosen to travel in the outside lane because I was afraid the the car might stall, and I may be stranded. This finally happened when I stopped at the traffic light at Chelsea Pier. The car shut off, and all efforts to restart failed. I sat. Thru green and red, trying again to restart. It was dark now, 9pm and I had my flashers on. Cars that got stuck behind me honked. My cellphone battery was low, but I made the call to AAA, thinking that in about half an hour I would be towed away from this scary precarious position on this 6 lane road where the speed limit is 35 mph, but cars were passing me when the light was green at easily 50 or 60 mph. One of them clipped my mirror.

The call was connected, and I went through the automatic menu, and then was put on hold. On hold I remained for 30 minutes. My cell battery ever lowering.

A Womyn chauffeur driver in a large black suburban called thru the window to me. “Put on your interior lights so you are more visible.” ‘Good idea, thanks. I said’, and I did. “And call 911” she said. “They will come and tow you”. I hung up from AAA and called 911. An operator answered immediately. “What’s the nature of your emergency?” She asked. I explained the circumstances, and that I was afraid I was a road hazard and that I was in fear of being rear ended. “Thank you for your call, I’ll send someone over to you” she said.

We hung up, and I called my wife and asked her to go online and make an online service request to AAA, which she did while I again tried to contact AAA on my cell phone (I did also try to use to app to create my own service request, but the app did not work on my phone, an Iphone 6 - perhaps not one of the best of cellphones, I know, but it’s the phone I have never-the-less. It makes and receives calls adequately.)

Again I called AAA. Again I was stuck in a menu on hold for 30 minutes without speaking to a person. A police car pulled up behind me and 3 police got out. At the next red light when all the traffic was stopped, they positioned themselves in front of the stopped traffic to ensure no one would move if the light turned green, and the third police in his squad car bumper pushed my van a left turn across traffic into 18th street where I glided into a parking space and felt safe now that I was out of traffic. Thanks so much NYPD!

My wife called and told me she had initiated an online service request to AAA and a tow truck was scheduled to arrive at my location 11pm. In an hour. It was cold, so I wrapped myself in a sleeping bag I had in the van, as we occasionally use the van for camping, and waited. Just before 11pm a text came thru to my phone informing me that the tow truck eta was now delayed to midnight. So I settled in and waited again.

At midnight, a large flatbed tow truck showed up and pulled in in front of my van, in position to hoist me aboard. Getting out I met with a friendly burly young man who asked to see my AAA card. I showed him the scan of the card I keep in my phone in lieu of the physical plastic clutter that clogs my wallet. This was sufficient, but he noted that my name on my card was not the same name as appeared on the service request. I replied that the service request had been initiated by my wife, who had computer access as the AAA app was not working in my phone. That I was the primary account holder, and we both had membership. He called his boss. After a brief phone conversation, the young man informed me that the name on the card had to match the name in the service request and that he was unable to help me. With that, he got back in his truck and drove away. He just left me there stranded with no help at all.

I called my wife, who had been asleep, and she initiated another service request. ETA; 2 am. It occurred to me, that my van had now been sitting for several hours. If the wet had stalled it, maybe now it was dry? Even though the battery was a little low from my previous restart attempts, I tried again, and luckily, the van started! I was able to drive home. So much for AAA.

But there’s more! Friday January 11, I drove my VW Beetle, a car I bought new, and have maintained properly according to schedule and more, with a fuel efficient reliable Diesel engine. A car that has never failed me, is comfortable, compact, fast - will make speed up past 125mph with rpm’s left to go, and I’ve maintained her in perfect mechanical condition so she runs like a charm. A car I’ve never had a problem with.

My wife, son and I drove from Brooklyn to Hanover New Hampshire to visit my sister. We made quick time in the highway arriving 4 hours after leaving NYC, with a half hour rest stop on the way. NH is cold this time of year, and overnight the temp dropped to -11 degrees F. The next morning when I tried to start the car, the battery was too cold and couldn’t crank the engine. Time for a new battery I thought, and my wife called AAA asking for a jump start. Again, a hold of 30 minutes. Eventually an operator came on and took our information and assured us a service vehicle would arrive within the hour. And eventually one did. A medium sized flatbed tow vehicle.

The operator got out and applied a Jump Start battery boost to my battery, and I turned the key. The car barely cranked. The boost box was drained. The mechanic said “Ok, well that’s it, that’s all I can do”. I was surprised. ‘Do you have any jumper cables?’ I asked. ‘No’ he said ‘We don’t jump off the vehicles, we have too many electrical devices connected.’ Again I was confused. ‘But we called AAA, you are supposed to help us’ I said. ‘Nothing I can do‘ he replied. Then I made my case, politely and calmly about us having an AAA membership and that we expect service. "This is only a flat battery" I reminded, it’s not difficult to correct. I explained how if we used jumper cables, there would be the power of his v8 engine producing electrical charge, which would be more than the jump start box battery, and this would undoubtedly be enough to turn my engine and start it. He had no jumper cables.

Earlier, the proprietor of the hotel we were staying in had offered his. The Mechanic argued; “Your diesel fuel has jelled with the cold, it won’t start till it warms up, and your starter is going to need replacing.” He continued “This truck is a $120,000 vehicle” he bragged. “You will be responsible for any damage that occurs!” I Having run diesel tugboats for much of my Merchant marine career. I’m familiar with Diesel engines and fuel. “In these northern climates, fuel companies mix a additive to prevent jelling of diesel fuel, it can’t be the problem" I replied. “And my car is in perfect mechanical condition. It’s not the starter.” He argued awhile longer, but eventually conceded to let me try.

I connected the borrowed cables to my car while the mechanic popped the hood on his truck. I was astonished. The terminals on his battery were caked with many years of corrosion. I asked him for a wire brush. He denied having one. I tried scraping with the blade of my jackknife. There was so much corrosion, I would need an electric wire wheel to get it off. I tried to make a connection. I asked my wife and son to push the jumper cables on to the battery terminals. They both were skeptical and afraid of getting a shock, and so didn’t push hard enough. The mechanic sat in his truck. When I asked him to increase the rpm’s so the engine would output more current, he angrily responded by high revving the engine, frightening my wife and son, who were trying to help me by holding the cables on to the battery.

There was no way. The current could simply not get thru to my starter, my engine could not turn over. “That’s all I can do” said the mechanic. I was left stunned. He packed up his truck and drove away, leaving us stranded, not even offering a tow to a shop where I could get a new battery. My wife initiated another online service request. I called AAA, and after a wait, a rep answered. I explained the situation and described the mechanics behavior. She apologized and assured me another proper mechanic, with tools and equipment would be dispatched immediately. We waited. After another hour, I went into the hotel bathroom behind the front desk for a quick pit stop. Emerging a couple minutes later, I was just in time to arrive at my car to find the second mechanic packing up to leave. He had tried his portable jump start battery, and it had drained immediately, same as the last mechanics.

This mechanic was visibly agitated, and belligerent; “Your fuel has jelled” he yelled. “Good luck buddy, there’s no way this car gonna start”. He continued to shout angrily about other mechanical maladies undoubtedly plaguing my car. He continued angrily with a tirade about how I didn’t know what I was talking about, didn’t know what I was doing, and “Good Luck Buddy” he shouted. I unperturbedly asked if he had any jumper cables? His snort and visible rage were almost comical. Taking his yell up another level, he replied with a bragging tirade same as the last mechanic about how his truck was a $120,000 vehicle, and he ‘don’t jump from the vehicle’. We explained we are AAA members. My wife asked for a tow to a shop where we could get a new battery. “No” was his reply. He got in his truck and spun the wheels as he angrily roared off. So there we were. Left stranded by the service vehicles sent by our AAA membership.

We stood, out in the cold morning air contemplating what to do next. I got on the phone to AAA again. I waited. A service rep eventually answered, and I began explaining what had happened. Just then, a middle aged womyn in a newer Subaru pulled up. She asked me if we were all right? I told the AAA service rep I would call back because a private citizen had offered to help us. I explained to the womyn what had happened. She offered to help, and popped open her hood. Her Subaru engine compartment was perfect. Clean and new. Her battery was prominent, with clean terminals easily accessible.

I connected the borrowed jumper cables to it, my wife got into the drivers seat of the beetle, and I connected the cables to our battery, pushing on them to ensure a good connection (the battery position in the beetle engine compartment is clean and neat, but a little awkward, as the engine compartment is compact due to the body styling. Once I’d ensured the connection was good, my wife turned the key and the beetle engine roared to life. All it needed was a competent person to ensure things were done properly. I drove to a Walmart and replaced the battery with a new one, and everything is now fine. No jelled fuel. No new starter. I know what I’m talking about, and doing. I’m polite and calm in the face of angry challenges, and grateful for successful assistance My wife and son both are witnesses. I don’t recommend AAA auto club.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

On 1.13.19 I put in a call for Roadside Assistance. My dispatcher's name was "Jen". This request was put in via phone call at about 12:15 pm or so. I received my first confirmation text at 12:28 pm. Long story short, although I called AAA at least 8 or more times, after being given story after story as to why nobody had come to tow the car, during my last call, I was EXTREMELY upset, and rightly so. I pay for AAA Premier service and have been a AAA member since 2000, and can count on 1 hand how many times I have actually used the service, and now that I need it, it's not available to me. How does this happen? I'm not gonna ask that question again because I made sure that I canceled my membership with AAA and today I got a new service.

This should NEVER happen! If you advertise a service and people pay for it, they should not be left waiting almost over 4 hours in the cold to receive service, and also be left waiting without AAA reaching out. As I mentioned above, I had to call AAA over 8 times to find out why I was still out in the cold! Not to mention being told at one point by "Jen" that help was on the way at 1:57 pm with no one showing up and then again told by "Jen" that a truck would come within 1/2 hour, yup you guessed it, no show. Then upon the last call (which she actually called while I was on hold speaking to a rep at AAA) to tell me it would be another 20 minutes. I was beyond "done"! POOR SERVICE and I don't care if there were a million calls that day, it's not the consumer's problem. Offer a service, and deliver!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We have been loyal and very satisfied members for 24 years, "plus" members for the last 8 or so. I called at 7:40 pm on a Wednesday in an urban area and ended up waiting almost 3 hrs to have someone arrive to change a blown tire. The first dispatcher went through her whole (apparently short) list of providers and couldn't get anyone. She had to kick our call to a supervisor who could call a non-contracted tow company. Clearly AAA has lost a lot of contracted tow companies. We have many in town, but apparently it no longer pays to work for AAA. Beyond the bad business practices that have left them short of contractors, their supervisors don't even call to inform customers of ETAs. The deterioration in the last year or two has been stunning. Time to return to the business model that worked. Pay the contractors decently and communicate promptly!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

After 28 years of being a customer home, RV and cars AAA could not call me back from the time of loss August 2018 to January 2019. AAA will not pay the money for the loss. Just a small percentage of the loss! Do not use AAA or you will lose! I’m now with USAA.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I was driving a rental car in San Ramon, California, during heavy rain, and hit a pothole on the side of the road, which blew out the front right tire. I called AAA roadside assistance and help arrived within about half an hour. The technician and I realized that in fact there were two tires blown out, and it would be necessary to get a tow (only one spare tire). The technician helpfully called AAA dispatch, and told me a tow truck was on the way.

Some time later, I got a call from AAA dispatch to confirm the address to tow the car - Oakland airport since that is where the a rental car service center is located. Some time later, I got another call from AAA dispatch telling e that it would take some time since it is an "out of area" tow. Some time later, I got another call from AAA dispatch saying the driver was on the way. When the tow truck driver arrived, and as he was loading the car on to the flatbed, he asked if I had been told that there would be an extra charge since it was a tow greater than five miles, and since the extra was 20 miles, I would have to pay $240. Of course, I said no one had told me (despite four calls with AAA dispatch), and that I didn't think it was fair and I didn't want to pay. Frankly, if I had know this earlier, I could have arranged something that would not have cost me so much.

I ended up speaking with a customer service rep who was very rude and unhelpful. I asked for a supervisor, who told me she would try and work it out and call me back. She did call me back in about 20 minutes, and said she was still working on it. After another half an hour - nothing. I called the customer supervisor back and got a voicemail message - I suspect she put my number to be blocked because she did not want to talk with me. Eventually, after four hours, I couldn't wait any longer, and I told the driver I would pay the $240, and sort it out later. When I presented my credit card, he told me he did not have the ability to take a credit card, as his reader (Square) was not working. However, he called one of his colleagues who turned up about 20 minutes later and I paid the money.

CONCLUSION:
- terrible customer service, rude, unhelpful.
- a ripoff.

- bait and switch - despite several opportunities to tell me of the extra charges, no one did until it was basically too late.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
- do not use AAA for anything except simple roadside service.

- If you need something more, cancel your AAA membership, and tell all your friends. It is NOT WORTH THE HASSLE

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I am 74, live in Orlando, Florida, a 14 years gold card member of AAA, writing to you but not knowing what to expect, yet hoping that you will take disciplinary action against these AAA managers who coldly refused to provide roadside service to me during a rainy cold night when my car went off the road into a roadside water drainage area.

The details of the incident are as follows: Date and Time: Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at about 6:15 PM. Location: 18359 East Colonial Drive at Florida CR 13 -- about 50 yards from this intersection on East Colonial toward east on the north side of the road. After the initial call to AAA requesting help, I waited for more than an hour till a tow truck showed up; but the person quickly refused to service giving reason that his truck is not equipped to handle the situation since it needed a flatbed truck. Then he talked with AAA agent and left.

The AAA agent then instructed me to wait as she was working to get a flatbed truck out there for service. About 25 minutes later, she told me that a truck is on the way and asked me to wait. After waiting for more than 30 minutes, when nothing happened, I called back and spoke with another agent, John. He totally surprised me by saying that the last tow truck person returned because the car is in the water, and AAA cannot provide service. What a surprise it was that here I was waiting for a flatbed tow truck to arrive as per the last agent, and now was being told by John that AAA will not provide service because they were told that my car was in the water. So I spoke with his supervisor Dina but her response was the same, giving the same excuse.

After her refusal to service, I spoke with her manager, Keith. But he too refused on the ground that car is in the water as reported by the last tow truck person. But I told Keith repeatedly that car is not in the water. It is sitting outside the water and explained that all wheels are out of the water. It is nearby but not in the water. I told him, over and over, that I can send a photograph as a proof.

In desperation I approached his manager, Kenny, with a tremendous hope that he may understand the critical situation in am in -- that for last three hours I have been in the cold and rainy weather -- and desperately seeking his executive help. But he turned out to be even much hardhearted person than Keith, using the same excuse to not provide the service. I even told both of these managers that charge me extra whatever it is but please, please, I beg you, please, just provide the service. Oh! I kept insisting that I can send them a picture showing that the car is not in the water but outside; but their pride and ego, power and authority, their utterly insensitive arrogance could not bend before a truly desperate human need.

For over three long hours, in utterly cold rainy evening, here I was, a 74 old, repeatedly begging before these gentlemen for help – requesting to send a flatbed truck-- but my pleas for their mercy could not be heard by their cold heart – ESPECIALLY DURING CHRISTMAS TIME WHEN MERCY AND KINDNESS, THE LOVE OF GOD, FLOWS IN THE AIR EVERYWHERE.

The next day I got a flatbed-truck on my own and got my car towed to a place of service. To save the joy of the holiday season and not let this incident destroy its emotional pleasantry, I held back reporting the incident to you till now. Sir! This is not the AAA we hear of. This was the most unbelievable torturous treatment by these managers.

When I open AAA web page, it says I am a ‘Loyal AAA Member Since 2004’. Really! What good is that? If AAA cannot be there in emergency, then of what good is their membership? Please look at the record, how often I have requested service from AAA during these last 14 years of Gold membership? Not much. And when I really needed help, AAA REFUSED, hiding behind some excuse that was not even valid.

As I said in the beginning, I do not know what to expect but I do hope that AAA does take a disciplinary action especially against these managers who are in the upper level of management, Keith and Kenny, to make them aware that being human and operating with care and compassion, kindness and mercy, is more important than being a manager with power and authority, dealing with rules in arrogance and applying them with cruelty and cold-hardheartedness – especially in a service providing industry and company like AAA. Thanks for listening!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

If you are disabled (senior or not), do NOT purchase a battery from AAA. A few days before Thanksgiving 2018, I called Triple A to unlock my door because I inadvertently tucked my keys in my coat pocket, which was still in the car. (Warm day here in Colorado Springs.) Although the wait was quite long, when their serviceman did show up, he was an absolute sweetheart. However, once he left and I attempted to start my car, I learned the battery had died. I purchased this battery from Triple A in 2016, so it is still under warranty. Anyway, I had to call them again and was praying that the same serviceman was close enough to help me again. He wasn't, so there was another long wait.

In the meantime, I had a hero in the form of the security officer at Natural Grocers, where I shopped. He worked EXTRA HARD in the now cold, freezing night air to give me a jump, working at it for nearly an hour, while we waited for Triple A. They did call a couple of times to give me an ETA. However, the last rep - a female dispatcher - morphed into a hostile little beastie when I dared to inquire about a possible battery replacement, declaring that since I don't drive it enough, the warranty will not be valid.

EXCUSE ME? So now I'm being threatened with the possibility of having to pay for a NEW battery BECAUSE I'M DISABLED and don't drive enough? Never mind the FACT I have not only AAA, but also their auto and renter's insurances. Good paying customer be... Well, you know! AND, I learned that my "elder" cousin in Maryland has just experienced the same, regarding a replacement battery. (I'm 65; she is 76 and in poor health, too.) So the "hostile little beastie metamorphosis" I experienced is not an isolated case of bad, really bad, customer service. Even fraud, maybe? By the way, AAA didn't need to send assistance because my hero, the security guard, got my car started and I canceled the ticket.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I purchased a AAA battery on 3/11/18. I have had to have them come out and charge it at least three times before my membership expired on 11/30/2018. I was told that this battery has a six year warranty, including replacement the first three years. They refuse to service or replace their lemon battery and unless I renew my membership or pay $75 for a service call. I have since had the battery as well as my starter, alternator and electrical system tested by two different mechanics (one of which was a “AAA Authorized Auto Repair” service station) and both informed me in writing that the only thing wrong with my vehicle was a bad battery, which should be replaced ASAP.

AAA finally came out and tested that battery, agreed that my battery, which is less than 10 months old should be replaced soon, but they won’t do it because I don’t put enough mileage on my vehicle (I telecommute from home but drive my vehicle it at least 3 times per week, which according to both my mechanics should be enough to keep the battery in good shape). As for their roadside service, I have been told that I can’t make an appointment for a service call and I should call no earlier than 1 hour prior to the time that I have to leave. However, I’ve missed several important appointments because my lemon battery wouldn’t start my engine, and it takes AAA anywhere from 90 minutes to 4 hours to arrive and charge their lemon!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My wife call them for a simple jump start. They were unable to respond to the call and left her stranded. When I called to complain they put me off. Their first response was give them 48 hours, then it was three days, then it was three- five days. A few years back AAA would hold the Hotels their customers would use to high standards, Considering their own poor service they have no right to demand anything.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I got one of my vehicles impounded, no big deal right? I pay for my free tows so it shouldn’t be a problem? Why am I paying for tows every year if I can’t use them for something as simple as a 10 mile tow back to my house from impound. This is ridiculous and seriously hurt my views of this company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

2 months ago I called AAA. My trucks brakes went and I wanted to get it towed home so I could fix it. I was told someone would be there within an hour to help since I had my wife and 3 young children in the car. After an hour I called my family and they ran up to pick me and the wife and kids up and take us home leaving the car on the side of the road. After getting home I gathers tools and a jack and drove back to my car a 45-minute drive each time. I fixed my brakes and drove the car home. After being home for over another hour AAA called to inform me they would not be able to help me. All in all it was 4 hours before they told me they couldn’t help. I was 45 minutes from home thank God for family otherwise I would of been stranded.

Fast forward to today January 3rd 2019 I called AAA at 2040 and was told someone would arrive by 1939. At 2100 I called and spoke to them again and they said they would look into it and call me back. After 30 minutes I called them and they informed me that a driver had been dispatched. It’s currently 2231 still no truck. I have been on hold with the AAA customer service now for 22 minutes and haven’t spoke to a single person. I’m done. The annual fee isn’t worth the lack of customer care.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My car got a flat tire while driving my brother to my parent's place on New Year's Day. We worked on it ourselves for a while and got most of it done until a AAA vehicle parked behind us. The AAA guy saw us on the side of the road and stopped to check on us. When he did, he showed us how to use my car's jack properly (which it turns out... was a lot quicker than the way we were using it haha) and made sure to follow us until we were safely off the highway. Thank you, AAA man.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I would give negative 0 stars if it were available! I pay for a service for the past several years to cover me and my son. Yet when he tries to use it this year he is told he will be charged $65 to unlock his car if he doesn't have his photo ID on him. Which he is only 19, a child who obviously locks car doors and loses things. Now the company they work with was more than willing to work with us but triple A on the other hand to whom I pay a yearly fee for service is awful. I would never in any lifetime recommend them. Instead go through your car insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

On Sunday, Dec. 30 my husband and I stopped to help an elderly (83) gentleman in Burlington NC. Called AAA and told them we needed a tow. They told us he would be priority due to his age. Adam's Towing was the tow company being sent out. We waited close to 2 hours and when I called Adam's to see what the ETA was because AAA gave us a specific time, the dispatcher was rude and hateful. Told me she wasnt arguing with me that there was a 2 hour wait regardless of age. All I asked for was an ETA. Something needs to be done with this company. Overall ratings are terrible!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Their hours are Monday thru Friday 9-6 with no Sat. hours. If you work regular you can never get there before it closes. Waste of money! And I've been a member for over 25 years. I liked to use them for car registrations and their maps and travel books but I can never get there before closing.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I purchased AAA since I live in a rural area in case I need it. My husband works in Rochester MN during the week. Rochester is very populated (215,000+). The battery died on our car and he called AAA to have someone come and change out our battery. (The first time we have ever had to use the service and they said they do not offer that service in Rochester. How do they not service a city of 215,00+ people? So it doesn't bode well that they would offer this or other services in the rural area that I live.

How can they advertise this service and then when you go to use it - they say they don't offer it? The more research I did, this is very typical of AAA. We canceled our membership and my husband had to make numerous phone calls for them to pro-rate our membership fees. (Which they finally did.). I would tell everyone not to sign up with AAA. I was paying for peace of mind in case we ever needed them and when we did need them - they didn't deliver.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I purchased the AAA Plus roadside assistance package since I travel a lot and wanted to be able to tow my car to the dealership. I had a flat tire and called but they dispatched roadside assistance instead of a tow truck. The tire would not hold air, which I told them on the initial call but still no tow truck. After waiting all morning for roadside assistance, they determined I needed a tow truck (surprise). Now, I have to initiate a new, separate ticket in order to get a tow truck dispatched. I've wasted an entire day waiting for AAA! If they had LISTENED to my initial complaint (the sidewall is blown and won't hold air), I MIGHT have been able to get a tow truck out here earlier. AAA leaves a LOT to be desired in the way of customer service. I will be purchasing roadside assistance from the dealership in lieu of renewing my membership with AAA.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have a problem with AAA North Carolina region. I talked to a representative about all the information I needed then I went ahead with the auto insurance. Now, for some reason that representative no longer works there and terms that I discussed with her changed. I can only think of this as a fraud. I made sure that I do not have to change my Driver's license and registration to NC before signing up for auto insurance. Now they are saying that I have to before certain date.

Another thing is that, she told me that I can change the insurance company at any time if I wanted to without a penalty. Now they are saying, there is a short rate penalty. By the way, I wasn't even told about the extra fee that I had to pay every month if billing is generated in mail. So I'm here stuck with AAA. I'm not going to be changing my Driver's info. I hope that AAA headquarter can get me out of this mess of fraud from NC region.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

A few weeks while returning to the light rail park and ride around rush hour, my car would not start, my hunch involved probably needed a battery jump, maybe a replacement. I assumed a 40 minute to hour wait at best and was told as such. After an hour (it became cold and damp out) I received a phone call from customer service apologizing and assuring me it would not be much longer. Then almost another goes by and I receive another call. At this point I am livid and insist I want service now. I sarcastically ask if I am supposed to wait another hour. The rep asks if I am in danger of freezing, etc. Luckily no.

Finally a rep comes, decide to buy a new battery. I ask why it took so long and told he is the only battery truck covering my vicinity, stretching at least another 8-10 mile radius. I am located in a suburb according to he (and my insurance agent, who I emailed about alternatives to AAA the following business day,) that is an "outer area". Ridiculous considering the growth the last 10-15 years. My family and I have been members going back perhaps 50 years and if this is the treatment you're giving me, I am going to look into other alternatives. Just wonder how much goes into paying the CEOs' at the expense of customer service.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I called today to renew my membership. I have been a member since 2015. They always gave me the option to pay monthly. It is in no way possible for me to pay in one payment. They told me they are doing away with that option. Therefore today they have lost a customer.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

My father and I were locked out of our car and I am the member holder while he pays the bill for this service. We called twice and it both people refused to come to our aid leaving us stranded an hour away from Home. I did not have my ID but provided them with ample amounts of information to prove in fact that I was truly me. Their suggestion was to have my mother drive the hour to come help us. HORRIBLE SERVICE. We are now on the side of the road waiting on my mother instead of a service who claims they’re supposed to help in these situations. Yeah Merry Christmas!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I used AAA battery replacement service and they not only charged full price for their batteries, they also charged to install. Later, I had them bring 2 batteries to replace the batteries in my Classic cars. However, this time, I removed and replaced the batteries myself. The batteries were $135 each. I need a battery for my truck so I decided to check battery prices. O'Reiley's was $129, Auto Zone was $185 but Walmart was $101. Guess I'll go to Walmart. BTW, all these batteries are made by Interstate. A tip? Go to Sears and get a Diehard. They cost more but they don't charge to install so it works out equal to AAA.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

We were in need of assistance with a tire repair and Santiago went above and beyond for us. Here are just some of the great things about Santiago, he smiled the whole time, offered water right away, pleasant personality and very professional.

AAA expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

• Best for: AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information