Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
AAA - American Automobile Association
1.28/5

AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1269 AAA - American Automobile Association Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

December 2017 me and my husband went to AAA for car insurance. We have 3 cars. The price was over $2000 and it sounded fair. We paid more than half 3 weeks. After one of our cars was parked outside and someone hit our car and it was total lost. Everything was ok but when we call to remove the car they just took away from all the cost for the whole yr like $47 dlls. It was ok... We didn't make a big deal. Well we got a new car. They charged us over $600 dlls to add this car. I was like wow WTF. You returned only $47 for the other car so now I have to pay almost $3000 for the insurance for one yr.

My husband at some point said oh well... Well he called today and they told him that they couldn't cover the new car because it was salvage so my husband cancel the insurance and they are just returning $400 dlls from what we paid but they took $168 dlls from my account on 3/19 and they said it's for this month but we don't have any coverage with them anymore. They are just stealing our money!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS INSURANCE COMPANY. I DONT RECOMMEND.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Granted, I had a great experience in the Hammond/Munster, Indiana, area with a flat tire and service in less than one hour. So I will give Kudos there! Unfortunately, when flat-tire service was critical because my son was very ill and weakened; and, I am 70 years old: AAA was nowhere to be found. I broke down on I-94 & US 20 @ Michigan City, Indiana, which is a large city. Thankfully, it was a lighted area.

When I placed the call on a Friday at 9:30 p.m., the service was being sent from Hammond, Indiana, about 50 miles away. Really? There was no service on a Friday night from Michigan City or closer? No way I could have sat there for the initial 2-hour window, under the circumstances. Even after waiting, I never received a GPS tracking of any truck leaving Hammond. A good Samaritan stopped and helped us. Therefore, I canceled the service call. (A larger breaker bar was probably more of a help, since the lugs were very tight and the one that came with the car gave NO leverage. Hint!) Today, I received the upcoming May, 2019, renewal notice. When I contacted C.S. the lady was attentive, she then tried to transfer my call to the department that reviews your complaints. After, 14 minutes, I finally hung up because they never picked-up her call. CANCELLING uncompromisingly!

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 17, 2019

I have never in my life ever given a review for anything, but was compelled to after our terrifying and frustrating situation. This was by far one of the scariest situations I had ever been in, stranded in a immobile vehicle on the side of the interstate, inches from getting hit by semis for eight hours. Their customer service is almost non existent, they make it blunt and apparent that they have no concern or desire to actually do their job, nor are they concerned about your safety. Please, if you care about your safety or your loved ones, go with someone else and stop giving these individuals your hard earned money.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have a premier membership. I broke down at 9pm, with a 1030pm pickup. At 1015 I was informed that it was delayed to 11:02pm. At 10:50pm I was informed it wouldn't be until 11:45 pm. At 11:40pm I was informed it would be until 1am. I called AAA and was told that at no point in the night was anyone actually on their way, but that they just got confirmation that a tow truck from over an hour from my location is on the way. Completely unacceptable, will NEVER use AAA, or any of their services ever again. You pay yearly fees for nothing more than someone to tell you they are helping you, when in reality all they are doing is getting paid to provide ZERO SERVICE.

Original review: March 15, 2019

My car broke down...coming to a stop at the Bottoms Bridge exit off of 295...18 miles from where I live. Have AAA Premium and called. After near an hour they called me back and said that no tow trucks were available. All were on long tows and then suggested that I call the State Troopers to stay with me and were going to continue to try. I did that. VDOT truck stopped first and a very nice State Trooper stayed with me as we waited to hear back from AAA. Almost another hour went by... And decided to call AAA back. They then proceeded to tell me that no tow truck would be available to help me that night and the State Trooper could call a tow. And I would be reimbursed.

Keep in mind that I was only 18 miles away and I was easily accessible to tow services from Richmond to Williamsburg you would think. The tow truck came and out of my pocket it was 205.00 for a 18 mile tow. Submitted the paperwork to get reimbursement via email...which I was told would be quicker than mailing and now a month has passed and no reimbursement. Couldn't be more disappointed with AAA and it is clear that they have very few tow companies on contract and more are signed up with the State Police because of better fees.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: March 15, 2019

Went to dog park. I locked myself out with 3 dogs in the car. I called and they said I would be considered a priority because of the dogs. Took over an hour!!! I watched my dogs panting and get upset. I called and told them I needed help and where were they. They said I was a priority. Yeah right! My dogs were stressed and upset and panting. One hour later, the guy came and opened my door.

Original review: March 14, 2019

This is not the first time I have had a problem with AAA. I have been a member off and on over the years and must say it is going downhill very fast. Am a member for years now. Two years ago my truck was towed from my home to my mechanic a few miles away or so I thought. When I arrived to pick a few personal items from my truck at my mechanics what a shock to not find it in his lot. When I called AAA they said it was dropped off at the address that I provided that they read back to me. Yet no truck in sight? After two hours of going round and round with them as we drove around looking for it we saw a AAA tow truck with my truck on the back. It dropped it off at the wrong location? WOW JUST WOW! Today I called and was told a truck would be at my location within an hour. An hour and fifteen minutes had gone by I called again and was told fifteen minutes away.

When 30 minutes went by and I called again only to be told they had no record of my call? Was told they put my call on high priority and a truck would arrive within a 30 minutes. After waiting another 45 minutes the truck showed up? This was a total of three hours from the time of my first call on the side of a two lane state route that has very heavy traffic. To add to that I missed work waiting for the truck to arrive. Must say this is a very bad way to run a well known company that people are paying for emergency roadside service for, no rain no snow temps in the fifties what gives? Going to use my insurance companies towing from now on! And to think I just dumped more money into AAA for premium service to boot. Not at all happy with AAA at this point. Waiting for a call on what went wrong from a rep. Hope others have had better results!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Good afternoon, on February 23rd of 2019 I signed up for AAA to obtain their services. I did not have a clear understanding of the services provided so I called them to be explained and see if I could use their services since I was in need of them. Willing to save a little money but also aware that any services have a cost. When I called the lady on the phone told me they could not assist me with providing me the services since I had to wait a 7 days before using the services. Since I was not aware of this, I told them to please cancel the services since they were asking me to pay 9 dollars per mile and I was 50 miles away from home. I decided it was no saving, that I might as well call the towing services and paid $150. Whenever I was on the phone they transfer me over to a different department to help me with my refund.

I was told that I would be refunded in 3 business days and that my cancellation had been processed. Here we are on March 12 of 2019 and no refund has been given to me. Today when I called at 6pm I was transferred to Ashley a supervisor and was told that they couldn’t refund me because their monthly services cannot be refunded (even though I made no use of the services and I was advised I would be refunded on 2/23/2019). She advised me that they would coach the person that took my call. But they couldn’t help me with my request.

It is sad that companies like this take your money and lie about services to get you to sign up. Save yourselves the bad services and customer service this company provides and take your money to a company that will honor what they say. I was not given a refund and am sure since they are a big company they won’t care about reviews but I hope this can be of help to some people. Hopefully this time my cancellation has been processed and I won’t get charge another month for no services provided.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We have been a AAA member for over 7 years and have rarely used it but kept up our membership. Then when we really needed it, they let us down 3 times in the past 2 months! First, our truck wouldn't start in the cold weather & we were home & in a safe place & so they said it would be 48 hours before we could expect service. They didn't come but called 72 hours later to ask if we still needed service! Which we didn't by then. Then the next time a week later, our daughter's truck wouldn't start in a ramp in downtown Minneapolis while we were out of the country. It is much too lengthy to describe but needless to say that 4 days later they finally got her out of the ramp but not after hours & hours of phone calls from my husband while we were out of the country. And isn't this why we have AAA to protect our children when we are away!

The third strike occurred just this week when our vehicle wouldn't start in our driveway & we called AAA to have them tow it to our mechanic's place. We called them at 7:00 p.m. & they said they would be here by 11:00 p.m. They called at 10:30 p.m. & said they needed a different type of tow truck which was in the notes but they waited until then to figure this out. Then they called back at 10:45 p.m. & said they could get a tow truck from Duluth, MN (which is 150 miles away from the Twin Cities) to tow our vehicle 5 miles! Then didn't hear from them again until 8:30 a.m. the next morning when they said they could get a tow truck there in 4 hours!

At that point we said NO & contracted it ourselves & 1 hour later we had it at the repair shop using our own towing company. You bet we gave AAA the bill. Now let's see if they pay it! Their customer service is terrible & their service is unacceptable! Plus they apologized after the fact, what good is that! We would caution anyone thinking of becoming a member of AAA to read all these poor reviews! It is not worth being a member if they don't help you when you need it! For us, it is 3 strikes & AAA is out!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I was a member for 2 years and only called for help once. I was stuck on Interstate 59 in Alabama with flat tire. I called 3 times and they would transfer me to someone else and hang up on me. It was scary out on the busy interstate with all those semi trucks zooming by. I couldn't try anymore so I called my daughter and she called me a tire truck. Cost me $400.00. I tried to get some money back from AAA. Didn't happen. My new membership started on March the 1st for the whole year. I tried to cancel on March 5th, and get back most of my money for the year. They said no. I just lost that money. But I am glad to be rid of them now. I went with Hartford. Yaaa!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I locked my keys in the car and called AAA. My policy had lapsed but was going to pay to reinstate it. After being passed around to three different customer service reps and being on hold for 45 minutes, I was told that the department that could take my credit card info was closed so they could not send assistance without payment. They were opened at the start of the 45 minute hold. This is not my first poor service interaction with AAA. It will be my last.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I locked my keys in the company vehicle and called AAA Roadside Assistance to have them come out. I was a former member and the guy found my info. He said that someone will be on the way and it would take 30-40 minutes. I then asked, "If I reinstate my membership would I get this use included on the membership so I wouldn’t have to pay the technician". The guy said yes and transferred me to the right person to take care of it. They gladly took my card info and charged seventy something. Moments later I received a payment email receipt. I then called back to see if there was a person coming to take care of my lock out situation - good thing I did because they found it had been CANCELED!!?

I didn’t even tell you what I had going on as well since I was with the company car and all. I’m a chauffeur just dropped off at John Wayne Airport, went to the restroom and found that I was locked out. My next pickup was 30 min away, and I had more than an hour from the first time I called. The second time I called, the service request went out another 25 min later and the clock started again, 30-40 min. When I finally got back on the road I knew I would be 15 minutes late. I’m NEVER late. In fact I’m always required to show up 20-15 minutes early. I should not have been late!!!

Forget my job details - When you call AAA roadside assistance and either forgot to pay the membership or want to reinstate, they’ll gladly take your money and leave you for dead, stranded wondering if someone’s coming to help you. Suffice to say I will be canceling and asking for a complete refund. If they don’t grant it I will go to my bank and ask for it. I want YOU all to know that I’m trying to help you, but you must fight! They take the risk that you won’t and most millennials will not. IF YOU FIGHT YOU WILL WIN!!!

You have rights. This is not how businesses should be making money. If your service leaves much more to be desired, companies deserve to lose customers and fail. I’m looking for other roadside assistance options. AAA has gotten so greedy and terrible with customer service. The last time I was in a situation like this: membership not current had two flats, they were on the ball, reinstated membership and service on the way 20-30 min ( they were quicker than that too!). Used to also get text updates immediately. AAA is on their way out.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I’ll start off by stating I understand that service is difficult to provide in bad weather conditions. That is not my complaint. My complaint is that there is a complete lack of customer service and ability (or desire) to make an attempt at being honest about the inability to provide service. I’ve been waiting 4 hours now for a call back (that was promised 2 hours from my first call). I feel that I’m told what I want to hear so agents can get off the phone as fast as possible, not that anyone has made an attempt to provide the services I’ve paid for.

This is now the 5th time in the last 6 months that AAA has told me they couldn’t provide service after wasting half of my day waiting for a phone call to move my pickup. It has not only cost me time waiting for them, but time away from work have been almost doubled waiting, then having to provide my own service. Not to mention $100’s in towing costs that should’ve been covered. When tow companies are slow, things are great. The problem is, when they are needed, AAA can’t provide the services they promise, and don’t try to make any attempt to provide them. Very frustrated. Would rather pay out of pocket and get an honest answer than pay to be lied to and blown off (even if it costs me extra).

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

So I called today to get a tow for a flat tire. AAA refused us roadside assistance. We were only given a partial refund for cancelling our membership. I don't understand how they can refuse to render services when their whole premise is "24 hour Roadside Assistance." Absolute **! What good is roadside assistance if the provider can refuse assistance as they see fit?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have purchased AAA Premier service for the past 4 years with battery replacement. On 1/18/19 my car vendor found that my 2013; BMW128i needed a new battery. I made arrangements for the AAA RS assistance driver to meet me at the repair shop. I met him at 5 PM on Friday afternoon only to be told that AAA could not replace the battery because a dealer reset was required after the install. This detail was not mentioned either of the two service center phone calls I had earlier that day. The dealer’s mechanic stayed past closing time to install the battery and complete the reset. (Note - the repair shop told the AAA driver they would perform the reset but he declined). Out of pocket cost = $254.95.

The following Monday I went to the Lexington Palamor AAA office and filed a claim (**). I was told that AAA Emergency Services was managed out of the Lexington Hamburg office. A couple of days later I went to the Hamburg Office to ensure that the claim was understood and had been filed. I was assured that it had been filed and that processing would take 3-5 weeks. Later that week I received a call from a AAA agent - I explained the issue again. The conversations with all 3 AAA agents indicated that they understood and supported the claim. Not once was it mentioned that the maximum amount that AAA would reimburse was $125.

On 2/25/19 I received a reimbursement check for $125 (26 working days since filing the claim). I returned to the Hamburg office and requested to speak with the Emergency Roadside Services Manager. After explaining the situation to her, the only response I received was $125 is maximum reimbursement per our guidelines (too bad that you didn’t read the fine loyal member!). I will not renew my membership and will not recommend AAA to anyone. Bad policy and poor service.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

My battery light came on when I was driving on Saturday and instead of stopping on 95 I tried to get to my destination. Thankfully I made it because I would have spent 4 hours on the side of the road with my four-year-old son. I put in a service request through the app for a battery issue (11:18 am). About an hour later (12:30pm), a representative came out and told me it wasn’t the battery it was my alternator. This meant since he only does batteries another request had to be put in for a tow truck. The tow truck appears around 1:40 pm, and tells me it is the battery not the alternator. He doesn’t carry batteries and that I would need to put in another request. I asked if it was something else like a fan belt, because I heard a screeching sound when I was driving before the light came on. He looks under the hood and says fan belt is there that is not the issue.

Since the alternator is not the issue, I was told I could drive the car no problem and the alternator would charge the battery. After 2 different people telling me two different things are wrong with the car I really didn’t trust either of them or the people you hire to represent AAA roadside assistance. I joined AAA on Saturday, I am allotted 4 service calls in one year and had to use three not for someone to fix my car but just to tow it to New Jersey. The second tow truck got there around 3:10. He was nice and got the car quickly on the flatbed and it arrived at its destination sometime after 4pm. I had to pay another $140 for him to tow it to NJ because you are basic for the first week through AAA. At that point I didn’t care, I was just happy the whole saga was over.

Yesterday I got my car fixed. It was not the battery or the alternator. A fan belt had snapped and there was an issue with my air conditioning compressor. The mechanic said I wouldn’t have made it out of the driveway without a fan belt, let alone to a place to buy a battery. A battery that would not have fixed the issue. This was by far the worst experience I have ever had, I should have bypassed signing up for AAA and just called a tow truck. I would have saved myself the grief, the time and the additional money it cost to get a membership + towing my car. I thought AAA was the way to go to get a responsible, reliable opinion, I would never do it again and plan on telling everyone I know to look elsewhere for road assistance service.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

It was a nice day, good weather, no reason for a high call volume or anything that would put a strain on AAA roadside service. I called at 3:05 pm and was told a service truck would be there in an hour. Great that get the vehicle up and running without messing up my obligations to pick up my daughter and her friend to practice. Called at 5:15 pm to see where the truck was, after being transferred twice I was told it would be there shortly. At 7:49 pm it still has not shown up and I have had to call my mother-in-law to help get the girls. My wife is now leaving work early to get the girls from practice. If they are not able to do the one job I signed them up for, be honest enough to tell me instead of leading the customer on. This has been an absolute horrible experience.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

AAA is horrible. I called for service and was told I was not on the membership. Last year I was told my son was not on our premier membership so I paid for his membership. We paid for 2 memberships last year and now I am being told that I do not have access to either one. They tried to get me to pay for a third membership. The rep proceeded to tell me that Sprint paid for our membership and at that point I was dropped. So they were paid 2xs for the membership which expires at the end of next month. The moral of this story is to use the roadside assistance that is provided by your car insurance whenever possible because AAA is worthless and needs to go out of business NOW!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I called for a jump start and I was advised that I have used up 4 service calls in the year and that if I needed assistance it would be $90 bucks. Unacceptable. I was not advised of this when I first got my membership. Otherwise Walmart is a lot cheaper.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

They discriminated against me because our son has agoraphobia & doesn't drive. He didn't renew his license & lives w/ us. We take care of him. Do all the shopping & driving for him. They canceled my policy w/o letting me know. Now I would have to pay the whole amount of the annual policy. We are on SocSec & cannot pay that exorbitant amount.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

My husband got a flat tire and called AAA. He explained that he was on a busy 4 lane highway (highway 85 in Georgia), in a construction zone - and was unable to pull completely off the road - due to the construction. In addition it is pouring rain. He was told his wait would be 45 minutes. I told him to grab the umbrella from the trunk and wait away from the car, so if a speeding car, or semi truck hit our car - he would not be injured.

After standing in wet grass, with cold wet wind blowing on him for 47 minutes - he received a text stating it would be an additional 55 minutes. When no one arrived he called again and was told that due to high volume it would be another 20-30 minutes. As I type this complaint - it has been 3 hours and he is still waiting. AAA said they will send someone as soon as possible. That is not acceptable. Once he is safely home - I am calling to cancel and demand a refund. This company should be ashamed of itself. I know the Metro Atlanta area is busy - but tow trucks are a dime a dozen, and we are getting bumped down the list because we are not paying full price for the tow service. AAA needs to help their "members" not say "as soon as possible"... that's like sending thoughts and prayers... it doesnt help.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I’ve had Premier service for the last 10+ years. Recently my son had to wait a couple of hours for a tow which I thought was odd because I had never experienced it until today when I had to wait for hours for a tow service. This is completely unacceptable. Premier service is no longer premier service with AAA. I am beyond Dissatisfied!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Purchased membership for roadside service. Needed to use it and they said I had to pay for a $50 service fee for a lockout. I was unsafe and in terrible elements. I will never use AAA ever again in my lifetime. Cancelled membership and said it would be 3 weeks before a refund would be issued. Very unacceptable!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

If I could give them just half a star or just a teaspoon of a star I would. Last year we canceled our roadside assistance with our insurance company because AAA seem to have been a better option, however to my surprise it has been a nightmare. On one of the coldest days our truck would not start and we were about 27 miles from home, AAA never sent a truck and said if they could they could only tow 10 miles as they were as they say instructed by the state of Illinois. I'm confused, is this a state agency? We had to find towing elsewhere. Not to mention the customer service. To be told they have 77 other callers on hold and they couldn't get to us was unnerving.

Today one of our trucks broke down, the back wheel came off, after being told we would have to wait 90 minutes but actually waited over 2 hours only to have the tow truck driver inform us that he could not help and that we needed to call AAA back to have them call a company that has the equipment to service us. Isn't this why AAA reps ask so many questions, to make sure they send the people? After calling back, the customer service rep said she couldn't find anyone and then we would have to wait for someone to call us back, and when she put us on hold it sounded like someone snoring in the background. The process of going through all the automated stuff when you call is also ridiculous. I'm disgusted with AAA.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have been a member of AAA for years. The last couple times to experience with the company they are sending was less than professional. They would send And experienced technicians. They have been using T & A Towing West Bolingbrook. I spoke to supervisor Jay and informed him that we don’t want T&A service but he refused to get us someone else. Bad customer service, always have to wait on AAA for at least 5-10 min And overall it took them long time to get to our location the last couple times.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My daughter had a radiator broken and we call for help to tow her car from school to home but they told us that there was no service available. They asked us to wait until tomorrow for available of the service. We are currently 3 Plus members with 200 miles tow service. We have rarely use it until today. My daughter car had broken radiator. We buy the road service for situation like this. I am very disappointed with AAA road Service.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

This was the worst customer service experience. What makes it even worse, is this is a service that I pay for. I get AAA towing yearly the premier package and the last 3 times I have used it they all have been bad experiences. Today by far was the worse. I called for a tow at 6am, the message from AAA was there were extensive wait times so customers should use the app. I used the app as directed and put in the request was given an arrival time of 7:12am. At 7:20am I called to see if it was delayed and was told by the 1st rep (Peggy) that the company that took the order was having troubles because they only have 1 person working.

She went on to tell me his personal story that and he as up all night and needed rest so they had no idea when anyone else would come in to work. This sounded strange and unprofessional, so I asked to speak to supervisor. I was transferred to a man (Carrey) that said he was a supervisor and went on to tell me the same story. I asked, "Can any other tow company can be used to help..." He said yes and just sat quietly on the phone. I had to request he try another company while he kept telling me I could find my own and then just get reimbursed. I explained why would I do that if I pay AAA for the premier package every year to assist me ahead of time. He then told me the original request for roadside assistance that I put in at 6am actually never went through that it may have been a glitch. They didn’t know that it was sent out showing as taken but it really wasn’t. It was just sitting in “limbo”.

Again, the silence with no apology or solution, I had to keep asking what can be done, what will be done, how can I get help, etc? He kept telling me I could find my own tow company. I explained I don’t understand how their service works then? He then finally said he was going to look for another tow company, he left me on hold for a very long time. Came back. Said he called 6 companies and no one answered. Again the silence. I asked then to speak to his supervisor as he sounded like the 6 calls was the limit. He then told me he is not actually a supervisor after all as he first stated. When I spoke to the supervisor (Teresa) she was rude. She said there was a first company that took the job but really didn’t because it was actual just sitting there? Then she said they had already set up another tow company but couldn’t get through to them and they could not provide an expected arrival time. This was the first time I heard of a second company.

The supervisor also kept telling me I could just find my own tow. Then in a threatening way said the tow company (Grubes) could just cancel if they wanted to. This took over 1 hour (the call). 5 hours after the first call, the Tow company came and refused to drive in the alley. Their customer service was just as bad as AAA. As of this moment, my car is still stuck. I believe AAA towing sells false services, they then I believe sabotaged the actual work to be dozen with the tow company that was equally as unprofessional and rude. The worst experience and what makes it so bad is I pay for this service. I do not recommend AAA roadside towing to anyone and I am looking into other options for help. They false advertise and the customer service has declined horribly. AAA is NO help at all and as a customer I was treated like a bother to them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have been using their service for a while and been satisfied customer, however this time my experience was below than horrible. I renewed my membership last week and was charged 50$ fee to use the service same day (they changed their policy since before you was able to use a service without any grace periods and fees). I had a flat tire and I called to roadside assistance department, waited 20 min for operator, was promised to have someone in 1 hour but he was late for 15min. Nice guy but completely unprofessional. I have aftermarket wheels with a cap cover. He tried to take off a cap with screwdriver and thank God I noticed that in time to stop him, he scratched a cap a little bit but it barely noticed so no damage was done but what if I didn’t stopped him, rhetorical question. Then he said that he doesn’t have a driver to take off the wheel and that this wheel required a special key (no it doesn't!).

Anyway, he left without any help, instead I said to call for a towing service because I didn’t have a time to wait for someone else. He told me that he already scheduled a service and that AAA rep should call me in about 15 min to provide me with time estimates. After waiting for half an hour nobody called me back. So I had to call again, of course 20 min hold time. When I politely asked for towing, they said that another service provider will show up with correct set of drivers and they provided them with all details. So in 45 min another guy showed up and of course he didn’t get any instructions from AAA. The funniest thing that he didn’t have correct driver key (omg they doing that every day, with a different types of car and they doesn’t have 15.5mm driver key with a thinner socket, so dumb). Anyway, they kept telling me that I need a special key.

Anyway, I asked him to pump the tire as much as possible, it started to leak in about 5-7 minutes. I called my friend and he brought his pump and oh magic, it pumped the tire to 35 psi within 3 min. Later that day, I stopped by to AutoZone and bought a key 15.5mm and took a wheel off myself. I called to AAA resolution department demanding my money back. I asked for 50$ refund even though I was not willing to keep their membership at all, but I knew that it going to be a hassle to get a full amount, so I tried to get a fee back. Both representative were unhelpful and refused to give me a refund. One rep even called me a liar because she said I admitted that my car does require a special key, what a nonsense. Their supervisor refused to give me my money back based on “they did pumped your tire even though it didn’t help”.

I never faced with such a bad customer service in my life. They lost my business forever. Moreover another family members and close friends will stop using them after I told them what happened with me. So is it worth it for AAA to lose a business of several people because of 50$? No it’s not. So now I will schedule all towing services I can, so these people will pay much more than my membership cost lol. :) Anyway, I do not recommend this company to anyone, beware because they will rip you off!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I’ve been very happy with my AAA membership! In the last 4 yrs I’ve had to use it 3x’s. First time: blew a tire on the freeway. They were there within 30 mins with water and helped me get my spare on. Very nice man! Second time: locked my keys in my car WITH MY CAR ON :( at 11pm on a Friday night. Took a little longer but I assume due to the time. But took care of me once again. Third time: yet again, locked my keys in the car while I was at work. Still there within 30 mins, and was taken care of quickly! Each time has been a pleasant experience and with my luck, AAA is very worthwhile for me!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Issues with AAA. With auto renewal you get $10 discount in membership, despite they charged full amount and at AAA they have Automated response "membership dept has 7-10 business days to even acknowledge this" & worse even after that it takes another 7-10 business days to even get refund. They charged us wrongly immediately but refund over a month later at their discretion.

Unfortunately, I had to use their service for Jump-start and /or tow for diagnostics. They sent minivan instead. Then cancelled service call and I had start all over again for same service call while stranded. Tow truck arrived later and just jump-started battery and was trying leave, my car behaved erratically with engine signs and other service lights on so I asked to be towed, ** guy just refused. "You can call for service again," and left. This not only incur another service call that counts towards your limited calls per year. This is barbaric, abandoning & double dipping. Same ** guy named "Corey" (Fairfield CA) was racist, did not want to do his job and still be on payroll.

Called to discuss experience and manager in roadside assistance dept will not be helpful to mitigate this serious issue but take this information and handle it "internally" without sharing outcome details. Mind you, this shop is AAA owned in Fairfield and handling it internally will be covering things up. AAA flat out refused to refund entire membership very arrogantly "per policy regulation". I wish I would have seen their ratings /reviews which is filthy 1 solitary star by all AAA members who I empathize very closely on all reviews I read after the fact. I urge all members (new/ prospective/ existing alike) to be sensibly consider their decision to become a new member/ even continue their membership for rest of the duration left. I do not want to make AAA rich (or be a part of it in any ways) by contributing my few dollars, and you should not either. Be smart and not be dumber by AAA.

AAA expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

• Best for: AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information