AAA - American Automobile Association

Compare Roadside Assistance Services

Research top Roadside Assistance Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I received a call at 11:46 a.m. Pacific time from a AAA representative Sherrie. Number she called me from is **, I have never been treated so poorly, I have never received such terrible customer service in my whole entire life. She did not give me any other information to identify her with. She did say she was from the collections admiration building. She did transfer me to a voice mail of a manager without warning Albert **. I called back and was hung up on, second attempt to speak to Sherrie was even worse, I need a call back from a manager or the escalation department so you can review the interaction with this representative and also research an additional issue regarding an $80 dollar fee that I shouldn't have been charged.

Based on this expires I will never again do business with the company, and I will tell my family and friends of my experience in hope they no longer do business with this company. The representative, refused to listen to the original call from the service call claimed that it is my responsibility to understand my agreement despite me asking the representative during the call whether there was a fee associated with my service and the rep explaining “No fee. You still have one last service on your account.” I called back the representative and she agreed to listen to the call. I asked her to please not speak to anyone else in the way she was speaking to me, just terrible service.

My car broke down so I called AAA. I told them I needed a tow, they informed me that the first 3 miles were free, which used to be 25 miles, gave me a quote and said I had to wait 2 hours for a tow. They also told me I could try to jumpstart the car but if that didn't work we could tow. I said okay. About 30 min. later a guy shows up in a multi colored Pathfinder with a jumper cable battery, asks me to start the car. When I attempt to, he heard a noise, says I need a tow, jumps in his car and drives away. I sit for 3 hours in a broken down vehicle then I call AAA back only to be told the call had been closed out and had I not called back I never would have gotten the help. AAA has gone down the DRAIN. You no longer can replace licenses there, the free tow mileage is ridiculously short, and the head doesn't seem to know what the tail is doing. I will NEVER renew My AAA membership.

Why can people not listen? I explain my story and then they have to go through their series of questions like a robot. They totally screwed up my tow service request because they can't listen to the proper name of the cross street. Help me here... Does Seacrest & Caney Fork Rd sound anything close? This was only the start. I got so frustrated trying to explain to Nicole that I just asked to talk to another person. She was Miss High & Mighty, Ratrina, and wanted to talk down to me. Really? I was given different reasons why they would not accept the tow and were trying to make me pay for additional services to get my car out of the garage and not damage my driveway. Again... Really? I have determined that they do everything they can not to help. Too many rules and reasons why it can't be done. I agree with many of the other people writing complaints/reviews on AAA that it is just not worth the money.

My wife and I went to Grapevine Texas downtown and found our car would not start and called Triple AAA. They called and it was many hours later and had a tow truck driver that almost drove off the road and was bragging he was a great driver and hit the wall and door of the auto place early in the morning. By the time we got back to our hotel it was six and a half an hour later. Triple AAA would not be honest when it came to the time for anybody to come out to see our car. I told the auto place when they fixed our car what the triple AAA driver did to their door for it was 12:30 in the morning when he dropped off the car.

This year I renewed my membership with AAA and added Motorcycle and RV towing for an extra fee. The first time about four months ago, I called for a tow from my house to the Harley Dealer. They sent me a motorcycle tow truck which was perfect. When the bike was done a few days later, I called for a tow from the Harley dealer, back to my home, they sent a flat bed. Once the driver got to my home and started to loosen the straps on the bike, he didn't do them evenly and dropped the bike on its side. I was furious, luckily, it didn't damage the paint, but it was scuffed. I didn't call in on him as he said he was a new driver, and didn't have too much experience loading motorcycles.

The second time I called for a tow, was about two weeks ago, about 12 midnight the bike had stopped a few blocks from my home. I called in and the representative told me the tow truck driver would be there in an hour and 15 minutes. I asked "Was this for the motorcycle tow truck," and she said "It's for the flat bed, that's what we use for our motorcycles." I told her that there was a motorcycle tow truck that AAA sent and she said "I have no idea what you're talking about," I told her to check my history. She insisted I didn't know what I was talking about. She said Beltran towing didn't have that truck, I explained to her that they had picked up the bike before from my home. After getting nowhere with her I asked if there was any way they could send someone sooner for safety reasons, she said call the police and they can sit with me.

I ended up getting help without AAA assistance and canceled the tow. Just this weekend, I called for a motorcycle tow truck, to driver pulled up, I greeted him, he gets out of the truck, and as he lets the backdown, he says, "I don't know how to load motorcycles." Here we go again, I called AAA Sunday morning to speak to a customer service representative that tells me their drivers are well trained to tow motorcycles, I said think again.

That Saturday night the dispatch of the tow yard Shaun had called to tell me the ETA of the driver, and once the driver left with towing to motorcycle, I called him back and told him his driver said he didn't know how to tow a motorcycle, he said "Oh my apologies." I'm paying all this extra money every year and these people can only tow cars, come on AAA get some well trained and qualified drivers or stop charging us extra.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

I went into the AAA store to get my car's condenser replaced and after I get my car back, I honk my horn when I'm driving at a bad driver and my horn has no sound. Come to find out, AAA forgot to rewire the horn when they did other stuff so I had to take my car back. Receptionist there was a tool and didn't have much knowledge of the location of the horn either so that sucked. Complete disgrace. Don't recommend them at all for the Cary, NC location off Tryon Road. They are trash.

I called at 7:45 am for a tow, after giving all necessary information, they told me that the driver would be there at 9:01 am. Sounds good. I looked up the driver's information. They open at 8:30 am, looks good. I should be the 1st in line. NOT, I received 3 text messages pushing back the arrival time to 10:10 am. It is now 10:30 am waiting for the driver. I called AAA, they said they will call the driver, he said he is on a call and has another one after that, so that long story short I don't know when they will get here, save the time and aggravation and just call a local guy. AAA said if I do that they will reimburse me partially for the local guy. I call, the lady conveniently could not tell me how much.

See what it seems they do is dispatch it out, a company picks it up and keeps ahold of it while he takes more profitable calls, once he slows down then he will report to your location. I don't know about you but time is important to me, I don't know how much the good Lord gave me, so I try to use it wisely. You should do the same.

I recently went online for a quote for auto insurance from AAA, and when I received the online quote, it was unacceptable. They sent me a follow up email which stated that so and so would like to follow up with me about the quote. I declined, responded that the quote was too high, and I thanked them for their time. They called me anyway, after I said I did NOT want to discuss it any further. I told the young male that I specifically left that information in their email, and he hung up in my face. This is AAA? Okay. Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad I found out about the types you hire to represent you before I might've plunked my money down. Contrary to what you may think, you're not the only shop in town. Thanks for nothing.

AAA.com or AAA Automobile of Southern California is what I called the scum of the scums! This is the worst insurance company I have ever used. I would rather be in hell than to deal with this company. They gouged us thousands of dollars! Run and don't even try them --- you will be screwed! They will promise you rates that will double in 3 weeks. Then charge you for large cancellation fees when you back out because of the doubled rate and huge hike in price!

Today I made a call to bring a couple of concerns to Triple A's attention. The first call I will get to in a moment but it's the second called that I'm more concerned with because I feel this customer service representative was incredibly rude. Her name is Paige and the phone call was made at 2:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Once I voiced my complaint about the previous call and asked to have it resolved, instead of apologizing for the mistake of the previous employee or showing any kind of understanding or remorse, Paige decides to condescendingly correct me and make it seemed as if I did something wrong.

In my initial concern one of the things that I asked for was to get a refund because I felt that the previous representative was dishonest. Instead of saying I would be happy to void that payment for you, she says something along the lines of "if you cancel it you're just not going to be covered after September 1st". She was very indifferent, noncaring, wasn't even the least bit concerned with the dishonesty of the previous representative I spoke with. I called her out on it as you'll hear in the phone call and I reiterated what I wanted done. Then she tells me "I'm going to contact that call center and see if they can put a void on that payment". This was also the wrong thing to say considering AAA's refund policy. So she said the word "if" knowing that she had no choice but to honor my refund request.

Then she put me on hold for 5 or 6 minutes without getting on the line letting me know that she's still in the process of resolving it. She then gets back on the line and says that the original representative I spoke with voided the payment and that it would be back in my account in 3 to 5 business days. I then ask her first name again. She said Paige and then I said "ok bye." Then she says in an insincere yet robust happy voice "THANK YOU SO MUCH AAA". It felt like a backhanded compliment. No empathy or apology whatsoever. No attempt to elicit a positive response from me whatsoever. Just a dry vindictive customer service experience.

Prior to speaking to Paige I spoke with another representative whose name I don't remember. The call was at 2:22 p.m. Eastern Standard Time and it was with a gentleman. I brought up two concerns first of which was to remove the auto-renewal and I made it clear that I was doing this because "I can't afford to renew this month". He told me that he removed it and then I asked him very specifically "if I am able to extend my membership by upgrading my membership like last time". He seemed to understand me and said yes "it will just be $26 and some change more".

To be clear the question I asked was related to when I previously upgraded my membership from basic to a plus last year. When I upgraded they also extended the expiration date to the day I upgraded. If you listen to the phone call you will hear this gentleman stating that it is just $26 more. Nowhere in the phone call does he state the full price of $127 (+change) like a company is supposed to do when taking someone's credit card information over the phone. Essentially he was dishonest by omission. He didn't verify the amount or ask for my approval. He just charged the card. As a result of these two interactions I will never do business with AAA again. It looks like my good old fashion car insurance company will have to do!

I've been a member for over 20 years and am in the middle of my 3rd ever call. We're approaching our 4. I've called 3 times. I've tried to download and use their app, but it's useless. It's 94 degrees out, my shade is gone and I have no water. Each time I've called, I've been told 45 minutes. I started in the left turn lane of a busy intersection. After the first 30 minutes a nice man stopped and helped to push me to the shoulder. There was an incline so we ended up blocking the driveway of a business. For the next two hours, I was yelled at. Finally, a couple stopped to further push my car out of the way. Thank goodness for strangers, because the people I've PAID for 20 years for this service obviously don't give a damn about service or safety!!! I'm cancelling this membership and ALL of my insurance policies! So disappointed. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Sorry I had to give 1 star... I wouldn't give any if I could. After giving the AAA phone agent my location, after a flat tire on our RV, (mile marker, interstate route, direction of travel, and state), I was told "I can't find you that way. What town are you in?" I was 5 miles from the nearest town. She couldn't help me. Got switched to another rep. Told him I wanted road side assistance to change the tire. He offered a tow truck. I didn't want a tow truck, just change the tire. I was told then "I have no services for you". That was the end of AAA involvement. Googled a recovery truck and handled it ourselves. What a worthless service. This is only half the story. Does everyone know AAA will only change a flat if you provide a mounted spare!!! Who carries these in the pusher coaches? Why do you think you can't buy one as an option when you buy the coach.

AAA policy won't let you buy one from a recovery truck because "they don't know where it came from"???. After talking to member services about their policy that literally handcuffs the stranded motorist, they said they will review their policy. Don't hold your breath... Just cancel your membership. They simply won't offer the services you need.

Wife's vehicle with 1 yr old AAA BATTERY. CAR, dead at the mall, won't turn over. They dispatch a truck from 150 miles away even though we were in the capital of SC, Columbia. He gets there and refused to install replacement he brought, in his expert opinion, it was the alternator. Jumps her and tells her to go to Firestone across the street, and it dies as she pulls in. Driver bails. Firestone said lady not a darn thing wrong with alternator, and replaced battery 225.00. AAA, SAID THEIR EXPERT TOW DRIVER, DISAGREES, AND WONT REIMBURSE FOR THE FAILED BATTERY. I was a fifteen yr premium member, not anymore AAA.

The first call was placed at 7:52 pm. I was told I would get text updates and service would arrive by 8:21 pm. I did not get any text and no one showed up by 8:21 so I called back got placed on hold. Then they hung up on me. A few seconds after I got a text saying now I service would show up by 9:04 pm I had to wait a hour and a half outside in by myself very mad.

The worst experience. Just needed to be let into my daughter's car. She lost her keys. Complete runaround. No real answers. Everyone had a different story. We gave specific directions, waited, called, waited, called... Ruined our whole day. Member since 1998 and pay for multiple memberships! What a disappointment. Don't waste your money because when you need them, they aren't there.

I broke down on the side of the freeway in CA about 75 miles from my home in Reno. Was on the phone over 15 minutes with AAA until someone picked up. Was told I was a priority because of my location. Well, AAA didn't show up for over an hour and then I was told that the AAA tow trucks were not allowed to cross state lines or something like that, so I would be towed to Verdi, NV, (which makes no sense because obviously it was across the state line), where another tow truck would be there to tow me the rest of the way. I get to Verdi, there is no tow truck so I wait for about 20 min and decide to call them. I was told that my call had been cleared, they had no knowledge of another truck that was supposed to come so I would have to wait. It took them another hour and a half to get to me in Verdi, and when they finally came, it only took 30 min for me to get home. I have never been so dissatisfied with a company in all my life.

So my car has been locked since last night and I thought that by calling AAA this morning instead of really late last night to subscribe it would be more easier on the company. So I subscribed this morning thinking I could then call and have them open my car for me. Well guess what, this sub-par company takes a FULL DAY to start. You literally pay them and they aren’t able to do anything until the next day. What kind of company is that??? Okay it’s like paying you money to get me food then you end up coming back with stale food. I am very frustrated and annoyed at AAA and this SLOW service.

I have been an AAA Member since 1970 and never had to use the service on Tuesday July 18th, 2017. That's a pretty good run with No problems! I had a major blow out in the right rear of my 2010 Audi Q5, the AAA driver could not inflate the space saver spare? So, he decides to hook me up and Drag my car onto his Flatbed Truck backwards? The problem I am having is the frame shifted and it makes weird sounds when I am driving down the road.

I had the Tire Assembly changed due to a manufacturers defect in one of these Continental LX20 tires, I somehow do not Trust the way the vehicle rides and the Continental LX20 tire feel? Next week I plan on bringing the vehicle back to the Audi Dealership to have the entire frame & tires inspected for any major malfunctions caused by dragging the car backwards while in Park! If there is Frame Damage, you can bet your sweet ass that I will get a lawyer and sue for vehicle damages caused by the AAA Motor Club Road Service. Just a little common sense is all we needed! My AAA Renewal is coming up in the Fall of 2017, what do I do; Rejoin or find another Service?

If you are contemplating signing up for membership I hope you're here to read reviews first. We have been a member for 20 years. For the first time my car broke down twice this week and when I called AAA for Roadside Assistance since my car was blocking a major intersection, I was told their "Rush Roadside Assistance" will take 2.5 hours! Why label it "rush" if I have to wait 2 hours??? I called them several times to follow up and they kept saying the same lame script of an excuse: we don't have enough tow truck drivers, our tow truck drivers picked up priority cases first. I was in the middle of an intersection blocking traffic and that's not a priority? Finally I called a different towing company to tow my car to the repair shop.

Today my car broke down again and they're making me wait 2+ hours for a tow truck! Why? They gave me the same script. I called customer service and I get someone with low IQ who made me hold on the phone for 10 minutes and just passed me to someone's voicemail. Please save yourself the trouble and skip AAA. I don't know what we're paying them for. Look for service somewhere else.

In 2016 I renewed and upgraded my AAA membership to a Plus Membership with automatic renewal through my bank account. This March 2017 they did not auto renew and canceled my membership and sent me a letter stating the cancellation. I called and paid over the phone and renewed the plus membership and made sure it was set up for Auto renew as they told me the local office had not set it up. Today is July 18, 2017. I call the road side assistance to get a tow. The man states I only have Basic service and can only get towed 3 miles. I told him, "No. I paid for plus and have the card in my hand that shows I have a Plus Membership." He proceeds to tell me I got online and canceled the plus membership on May 16th. I calmly explained to him that that was not possible as I was in Ireland on a trip I booked through them and did not have access to a computer as well as I have nor set up an online account.

He told me the money was refunded to me. I check my back account while in the phone with him. No. I was not refunded any money. Then he told me it was added as a credit to my AAA account. I told him again I did not authorize this and asked him why it was done and who did it. He then told me it was done because of the cancellation in March. I asked him why when I paid for the Plus Membership and renewed it in March as soon as I got the letter. He then told me I would have to talk to the local office when they were open after trying to get a straight answer from him for 20 minutes. As soon as I mentioned that this looks like fraud to me, the customer service agent then put the credit back toward my membership and put it back to the Plus Membership I originally paid for.

Something fishy is up here! They downgraded my membership with no notice to me and kept my money. Why? Do they really need the interest that bad? Maybe they do! Showing assets I guess?! I don't know. I have only used their road side assistance once in 2011 for a dead battery in my driveway. I got a jump and was on my way. Meanwhile, It is 7:30 pm and my husband is broke down on the side of the highway in the middle of the Oregon desert in the heat waiting for a tow truck he had to pay out of pocket. I am Way beyond disappointed. Yes BBB will hear from me and probably a few other "officials" no matter the explanation the people at local office give when I go there tomorrow.

July 2017 I was a passenger, along with my two granddaughters, in a friends truck. She is also a AAA member. We had a blowout and limped off freeway on the off ramp in a very dangerous spot. We were stuck on off ramp. Called AAA and told them and they said they would expedite for us. An hour later and several bear misses from being hit our driver calls. Seems dispatch sent him to the wrong place. He was not far from us. We directed him. He shows up in a little Nissan pickup at 9:41 pm, starts to back up then pulls forward then just takes off!!! Leaving two women in their 50s and two young teen granddaughters!!

We tried to call his number back but no answer. We called AAA. Put on hold then finally answer and said we were flipping him off and shouting obscenities. WHAT?? No such thing happened and now we are stranded. Long story short they "claimed" there were no tows available. We ask for CHP as we were in a very bad spot. AAA gave a wrong location again and now both Chp and any available tow were looking for us. 5 hrs later we saw a CHP across hwy. Called Chp and told dispatch we see their unit. We were found and Chp said we were lucky we were not killed. He had to close off ramp so the tow could change our tire and then get us off freeway b/c now our battery was dying due to charging our phone which was our lifeline. We no water or food with us and it was 100+ that day and still hot at night. AAA has yet to contact me back regarding my complaint.

I called AAA on July 17th at 1:30 pm because I have the premier service & my car broke down 221 miles from home. The dispatcher told me it would take an hour & a half to get to me. Well almost 2 hours pass, so I call again because I hadn't gotten any updates whatsoever. They then proceed to tell me nobody has been sent out yet because they called 8 different tow truck companies & nobody wants to tow us that far. THEN they verify my phone number & it's WRONG which explains why I hadn't gotten any updates.

So here I am, still stranded 221 miles from home & by the time the tow truck gets here it'll be 5 hours stranded. I shouldn't have to pay the 21 miles due to poor service & being left stranded for 5 hours. That's not okay. Now I'll have to miss my best friend's wedding reception & also pay an arm & a leg for service I shouldn't have to pay for due to lack of negligence. Very, VERY displeased & considering getting rid of my service with AAA.

I am furious about my roadside service this evening. My car overheated on the freeway, leaving my children and I stranded on the shoulder of a busy freeway at 10:30pm. I called AAA roadside and was told they'd send out someone within 30-90 minutes. I was texted that the service request was submitted. A tow truck driver leaves me a message on my phone that they couldn't find me so I called back. I also called CHP for assistance as I was not feeling that we were safe on the side of a busy freeway (880s from Oakland to Hayward). CHP finds me and calls AAA. I call again confirming information and again stating that we are four people in the car and did not feel safe on the side of the freeway. CHP leaves and asks us to keep our seatbelts fastened and stay in the car. They said someone will come.

We waited over an hour and a half and a tow truck driver came. He said AAA called him to tow us. He said he can give two of a ride in his truck and suggested I call an UBER service to pick up the other two people (my young children) as they wait on the side of the freeway. He insisted that I give him my membership information so he can start on the paperwork. I said absolutely not and asked him to call AAA for an alternative idea. After some time, he returns to my car and said he will tow me and AAA will call CHP to drive two of us while he tows my car and take the other two passengers. When CHP arrives, the driver takes off, leaving all four of us with CHP and our car, untowed, stranded on the side of the road. After waiting some time and seeing that it was almost 1:00am, CHP slowly guides my vehicle off the side of the freeway since no one came.

I am unsure why the tow truck driver left us and why he would suggest that I call an UBER for my children on the side of a busy freeway. CHP was also confused why he drove off as they arrived. I am very upset about this service. The driver of the tow truck took down my information. He asked that I fill out the form for him. His license plate number is **. He did not give me a copy of the form I filled out before he drove off. I called and spoke to roadside assistance about my experience today. They were not sure why the driver drove off. I have been a member of AA since 2001. It is unacceptable that when I need the service the most, the service provided was subpar.

On July 1, 2017 Sat., my vehicle (a motorcycle) broke down in a rural area of North Carolina. No tow truck sent. I was located on a small side road approximately 1/4 mile from a major highway intersection, but there were no services nearby. My cell phone provider (AT&T) did not have service in the area.

I flagged down a passerby that was kind enough to let me use his phone. I placed a call to the phone number displayed on my membership card. After a 10 to 15 minute wait an agent answered and advised me that my membership area was FL. and as I was in N.C. I would have to be transferred to that area. My call was then transferred and after another 10 to 15 minute wait an agent answered.

After obtaining my membership info and vehicle description, the agent advised me that I did not have motorcycle coverage. I advised her that I did in fact have M/C coverage and it was so stated on my membership card. My call was then disconnected for unknown reason. I again called the number on my card and after another 10 to 15 minute wait an agent answered and again transferred my call to N.C. Before she hung up I obtained the direct number for N.C. in case of another disconnect. Again after 10 to 15 minutes an agent answered and I went through the process again. The agent advised that as I did not have M/C Coverage I would have to pay for the tow. I didn't argue and said to just send a tow.

When asked for my phone number I gave it, but advised that it was my cell phone number, but that I did not have service in the area so I couldn't be contacted at that Number. I advised the agent that I was using the cell phone of a passerby who would be leaving. After confirming my exact location, etc., the agent advised that a tow would arrive within 1 hour. After waiting for an hour and a half, I called the N.C. office again, using the phone of another passerby. When I inquired about the tow, the agent said the tow had been canceled, but couldn't explain the reason or who had canceled the tow. Again after confirming my info and location the agent advised that a tow would be sent. Again after being asked for my phone number, I explained the phone situation again.

After another hr and a half, my daughter arrived to pick me up. A farmer that had equipment in a field next to the road allowed me to leave my bike concealed among his equipment. After getting into a cell phone service I found two phone messages from 3A. The first message was in response to my first request. The agent advised that they needed a little more information before they could send a tow. I had given them all of my membership info, a detailed description of my motorcycle, and a detailed description of my location and the agent had said she could see where I was. The second call was from another 3A agent advising that they would be unable to provide a tow that weekend, but they would be happy to provide me with some tow services that may be able to help.

I have since discovered that in spite of 3A's advertising that they provide 24/7 service, that it isn't necessarily true. 3A is a sort of franchise type operation, with different offices handling different states, and they aren't necessarily next to each other. Even though you have 3A service, they may not provide tow service and you will be on your own to find a tow service. The agents I dealt with never advised me of that situation, or the fact that if you do have to find a tow, 3A will reimburse you.

Very disappointed in 3A after being a member for over 24 years. If they are the top of the line in roadside service companies I feel sorry for folks that have less expensive coverage. Upon me following up on my complaint to their customer relations unit, I was informed that 3A is going to pay for my membership next year. That ought to be interesting. Free coverage for tow service that doesn't show up. Wonder how they are going to write that up. I am unable to provide an order number as I was never given one. I also don't have a receipt as a tow never showed.

I have had to use AAA to start my car 4 x in the past two years. Mostly due to a faulty battery they installed in the car the first time. Each time, the automated voice promises to connect me to the office closest to my current location. Instead, the operator is always several states away. This last time she refused to send out help because the account is in my husband's name. She refused to investigate my status as "associate member," and instead insisted that my husband needed to be present in order for work to be done on the car. She refused to accept the fact that we are married and share a membership.

This went on for 10 minutes or so, before she finally transferred me to a supervisor near my location, as per my repeated demand for that. That operator was able to identify me within seconds, and sent help. But when I complained about the repeated waste of time due to a faulty system and incompetent operators, he doubled down and defended the last operator, and the electronic system that never connects you to the right location when you are in need. Emergency service? Not ok.

My daughter was broken down on side of the road at 1 in the morning. She was told it would be one to two hours before tow truck would be there. Can anyone see a problem with this single female alongside of the road waiting for a tow truck to come along one on a Monday morning. This organization is careless, Reckless and needs to make some serious changes. All of this nonsense is so my daughter can prove that she's a member of AAA and she was with the car when it broke down. I'm going to have this company out of sheer spite for the audacity to put my daughter in such a bad situation no concern for her safety.

Waited FOUR HOURS for a tow, after being tricked into an "unattended pick up" by a AAA rep which put me into low priority, which she failed to mention. I have been a member since 2012 and this was probably my second time using ANY of their benefits, and I am a gold card "RV PLUS" member - whatever that means. I will NOT be renewing my membership and I am extremely irritated as the garage I was having the car towed to closed before my car even arrived (I called AAA at 2:45PM, the garage closed at 6pm). Very disappointed. Wish I could give this company no stars.

After moving I called the company to assure I would still be covered in my state, which they told me I would and all I needed to do was update my information. Fast forward to renewal time and I receive a notice that they will be discontinuing me because my information, that I called them about 5 months prior, was incorrect. Took 4 weeks of calling and being told they'll call me on Monday to finally get it resolved. Never received a phone call as promised and each person gave a different story. In the end the solution was simple and solved by a wonderful representative that did her job instead of passing me onto the next representative.

My husband and I were traveling up to North Carolina. I needed a hotel to stay for a late night check in. We contacted AAA on the road. They provided a hotel and did not indicate that it was a not a preferred hotel. We showed up at 2 AM in the morning only to find out that the hotel was surrounded by hoodlums. We were afraid for our lives. We decided not to check in and continued on another two hours only to arrive here North Carolina trying to find another hotel and were unsuccessful. We ended up having to sleep in a parking lot. I contacted AAA and they indicated that they would try to give us a voucher or Ray I'm American Express gift certificate. I was contacted by a AAA today notifying me that I would receive nothing. Needless to say I am very decide is fine with AAA. As a Premier member in my opinion this is unacceptable. I would highly recommend to anybody not to use AAA. I will be canceling my membership.

I have had my 2012 Chev Cruz for 5 years and every 3000 miles I took it back to the dealer where I bought and always had the same oil put in. Today at AAA care center they told me if I didn't use dexos I would be going against the manufacturer requirements and could void the engine warranty. I went to Terry Labonte's Chev and they told me this is NOT true. It was $24 vs $52. If your company needs money this bad it is NOT right to lie to your customers. You just lost me.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.
  • Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.
  • Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.
  • A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.
  • Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.
  • International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.
  • Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.
  • Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.
  • Best for AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Compare Roadside Assistance Services