Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
AAA - American Automobile Association
3.22/5

AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

1397 AAA - American Automobile Association Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2019

Great peace of mind knowing you have backup in many situations. As important to have as a spare tire. No service like it. Now on motorcycles too. Get a flat on one of them and see what it costs when your stranded along side the road. A tow truck alone will cost you a year's membership. Never waited more than 45 mins. Just sit in a air conditioned cab and both you and the bike are chauffeured home to properly fix it correctly and cheaply. Or have be brought to a good reviewed shop if your on a long haul. Bought a battery from AAA they delivered and installed it and the the bill was what a Advance Auto would have charged just for the battery. Been 7 years and the battery is still going strong. Starts the truck when I come out of the store having left my lights on. Some other great assets but those you'll have to figure out for yourself handyman :-)!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I’ve been very happy with my AAA membership! In the last 4 yrs I’ve had to use it 3x’s. First time: blew a tire on the freeway. They were there within 30 mins with water and helped me get my spare on. Very nice man! Second time: locked my keys in my car WITH MY CAR ON :( at 11pm on a Friday night. Took a little longer but I assume due to the time. But took care of me once again. Third time: yet again, locked my keys in the car while I was at work. Still there within 30 mins, and was taken care of quickly! Each time has been a pleasant experience and with my luck, AAA is very worthwhile for me!

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Last week I managed to lock both sets of keys in my car. I called AAA and they told me someone would be there within an hour. About 40 minutes later someone came but he could not get it open. AAA called me back to offer a locksmith. No one would come because it was 9 pm on Friday night. So AAA called again and said they would tow it home (45 miles). I said ok that was fine. The tow truck came within 10 minutes and couldn't get to my car because I was at a ballgame and they couldn't get around the cars to hook it up. He said he would try to unlock it if that was ok. My car has some sort of anti-theft system that makes it hard to get in with both keys in the trunk.

Long story short, after a few minutes he got it open but couldn't get in the trunk to get my keys. I have a small opening to the trunk where the armrest is located. He used a hook to fish out my purse and got my keys. I offered to kiss him right on the mouth. He was from J&J Garage in North Wilkesboro, NC and he was awesome. Between AAA and J&J Garage what could have been an awful night turned out great. A huge thank you to both these companies. We have used AAA before and have always been delighted with the service. Thanks again. BTW they called me 9 times trying to get me home. Now that is incredible service.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I am a driver who knows nothing about car, except to drive. What happened is that I had a flat tire on my way to work this morning, Sunday 11/18/2018. I called triple A around 7:36 am, and and the dispatch got to my destination at 7:45 am, and got my tire changed within a short period. From the representative that attended to me to the man who got my tire replaced are diligent, respectful, kind, and represented triple A very well. I don't normally give review, but what I experienced today is so satisfactory, and I just have to share my experience. Thanks to triple A for giving me more confidence that I am not alone, you're the best.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Last night I was driving and my battery light came on. My car lights were getting dim. I googled the action and it said that my alternator was either bad or the belt broke. I was able to drive to a safe place and park. I checked the belts and they were intact. I then called AAA and a nice lady answered and helped me with a tow. She said that it would be about an hour and a half before someone could get to me. Well, within minutes I received a call from Mr. Mike of First Coast Towing, Inc on Blanding Blvd, Jacksonville, FL. He called to say he was on his way and asked me a few diagnostic questions. He got there and proceeded to check out my car. He verified it wasn't the battery itself. He took really great care with my car. If you are in the Jacksonville area and need service, give Mike a call. Very professional and courteous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I have been a AAA premier member for a couple years now and recently had my car towed from Jackson Wisconsin to Madison Wisconsin and I take this route daily and the route is a 85 Mile Drive give or take with no tow for the year and recently had to use a tow from Triple AAA but AAA decided to say that the toll was 105 miles. I know it was only a 85 miles tow but AAA insist that it was a hundred and five mile tow. AAA is a scam and how could The Better business Bureau give them a good review? I think it is totally unfair that AAA is robbing people out of their miles...

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

News flash if you own a motorcycle and you don't know who these guys are you need to, have one of their cards or do a bookmark, a save whatever you need to do to keep their number in your pocket. My wife and I were down on highway 60 tonight 11 p.m. flat tire on a Gold Wing. Called AAA (we are premier card holders), got the runaround for over two hours and they had still not dispatched the call!!!

Keep that in mind, so we googled motorcycle towing companies looking for someone to give us a hand that would take AAA and found KnowTow. Debbie was absolutely wonderful and informed me KnowTow was a AAA sub contractor then she asked me how long we had been waiting on AAA to respond! I told her that it was 11 pm when we made the first call and it was well after midnight and they still had not been able to find a tow company.... Well she got on the phone immediately with AAA and got that issue resolved and had AAA Dispatch the job to KnowTow immediately and.... along with some serious ** chewing on the AAA dispatcher and to my knowledge it's going to be readdressed again tomorrow with their AAA rep. I too will be my AAA office in Lakeland.

Fantastic people at KnowTow. The service was great and Kevin came over to pick up my bike. Was professional. The equipment he used was top-notch 100% and I've got nothing but five stars and if it had more they had got more. We need more companies like this in Florida. If you're a biker I can only say at some point in your life you will need a tow and knowTow is the way to go????

This morning I visited our local triple AAA office in Lakeland, Florida and meet with Peggy ** (Field Insurance Manager). After her reading my review as posted to KnowTow she without hesitation copied the review and is going to take it up the ladder and urged me to again post my response to Triple AAA. So here it is. Was the most unprofessional response to a an roadside service request or any customer service I have experienced. Needless to say we are reconsidering our renewal with Triple AAA. The coverage is for our cars, motorcycles and RV. Frankly I think Triple AAA should give us a year free and deduct that from Bonuses (could be an eye opener for the VIP's) and change their handling of service requests in the following way:

1. Change the way service requests are handled by their telephone boiler rooms by allowing the first contact to stay on the phone with the person requesting service until a subcontracted provider has been given the authorization necessary to meet roadside emergency needs.

2. An in depth review and modification to the training of personal as to the hazards and outright dangers a motorcyclist is in while they are waiting for roadside service! Such as the weather conditions and the lack of protection from the animals as well as other possible threats by someone that would find a single person stranded and exposed.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I have been a classic AAA member for 3 years. This is the first time I had to use the service. I waited patiently for 2 hours for AAA to show up. Once they showed they said we owed money for towing more than 5 mile radius. When I called to request tow service there was no mention of additional fees. The service agent left me completely unprepared, wondering if I was being scammed by the tow company. I called to explain my frustration of my customer service experience to AAA. The customer resolution representative told me I should have been notified that there were additional fees, but that there was nothing they could do about it now. She also said they probably assumed I knew about the fees because I have been a member for 3 years. Quality customer service agents do not make assumptions.

Sorry I don’t pull out my AAA rule book and read it daily. I expect that when I’m stranded on the side of the road I can pull out my card, talk to a representative and get ALL of the information I need to know. Instead of taking accountability for failing to give me all the necessary information for a successful experience, their customer service department blamed me. Frankly they were very rude and made no effort to resolve the situation. I told them I would be canceling my membership and they said they didn’t care. So much for a “resolution” department. Myself and my boyfriend, a 23 year member, will be cancelling our memberships. AAA's motto is “expect something more”, my expectations were minimal, and AAA couldn’t even meet the bottom line in customer service. DO NOT PURCHASE.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I was awoken by a idling flatbed AAA truck outside my bedroom window at around 7:15. No driver in sight so after about 10 minutes of fumes going in my window, I look for the driver, I go outside and locate the driver somewhere across the street and down the block. Since it is illegal to leave a vehicle idling, I ask him to turn off the engine and thanks for waking me. Driver tells me to "get a life" and how his house is better than mine, etc. etc. Okay. So I just canceled my membership and filed a police report. That's what I think of AAA. CHAPTER 9. Stopping, Standing, and Parking. 22515. (a) No person driving, or in control of, or in charge of, a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand on any highway unattended without first effectively setting the brakes thereon and stopping the motor thereof.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

They sent out an email saying you could get a free Associate Membership for somebody in the same household when signing up a member for automatic renewal of the Roadside Service Plan. What they failed to mention:

1) Following the link they provided to sign up gets you no Associate Membership. You have to call, and they don't even provide the number in the email.
2) If you do call, then the "free Associate Membership" is only good until the next renewal date, which could be a very short period.
3) On that date, and every year after, the full amount will be charged automatically to renew the Associate Membership.

So, this is no accident, they are trying to make people think they are getting more than they really are. Highly deceptive advertising!

AAA expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

• Best for: AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information