AAA - American Automobile Association

86%

Compare Roadside Assistance Services

Research top Roadside Assistance Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

1,596people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with AAA - American Automobile Association:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

For some reason the app won't allow me to choose my account. When I try to go to the website on my PC it won't load at all. So I called the after-hours automated line to make a payment but it only gives me the option to use my checking account. Folks I have a feeling AAA is showing signs of financial problems. Is it just me or did everyone that had 100 deductible got kicked down to 250 deductible? They are losing me fast. I have 2 cars, earthquake insurance, renter's insurance, and Premier Roadside. For the cost of insurance this crap shouldn't happen. I even referred my brother 8 months ago and I was to get a pair of movie tickets. I still had not received them so I called and they said, "Sorry, it's only 1 movie ticket." I will be going in the office tomorrow and tell them what has happened, and go to GEICO. Has this happen to anyone else?

I recently switched to AAA Auto thinking it was cheaper than paying for tow service through my insurance company. It was cheaper but when I actually needed them the wait for a tow was ridiculous. On Sept 12 I had a flat tire coming out of the gym and when I called them they quoted me a time frame of 2:39 pm, I called it in at 1:39 pm. I thought an hour was long but whatever. 20 minutes later I get a call saying the original company they dispatched was not able to assist so they would dispatch another tow company. The time frame now is 3 pm.

A little annoyed, I waited inside the gym and as it got closer to 2:59. I get a call saying it's going to take another 30 minutes!! Absolutely ridiculous. Because I have to get home to get my son from school, I decided I would drive on my flat tire all the way home. Thank goodness I made it home. I then receive a call at 4:45 pm and the tow driver left a message saying they are in the parking lot looking for my car. Now I have to laugh because their commercials is a joke. I pray I never need them again.

My tire went flat coming home from work. I had a spare but for some reason it would not fit even though it came with the car. I called AAA and told them my situation. After hanging up with them I noticed the text they sent me for tracking. It had me in a totally different part of town. I told them, "I am between city X and city Y on highway XX." Simple, I'd think, but they got it totally wrong. Then after calling them back and telling them they had the wrong location they said "OK, we'll fix it." Then I didn't hear back from them so I didn't know if they were coming or not. All I needed was a spare that fit or a tire plug, they insisted on a tow even though I was 9 miles out of my 3 mile tow range. That would be 36 dollar by the way. $4/mile!!

The thing that really upset me was the lady didn't know if the guy coming was going to be able to patch my tire because "All trucks are equipped with different tools..." Well, how hard is it to have a tire patch AAA? You think AAA would do stuff like that... Well, an hour and a half passes (even though they said an hour), and what smells to be a totally drunk tow truck driver shows up. His breath stank of alcohol. By that time, I had already been helped by 2 good seminarians, one who helped me jack it up and the other who happened to have a spare that fit my car. I was basically good to go at this point except for the fact that my battery was dead from running the blinkers for 2 hours. The guy that came for AAA didn't have jumper cables either. And to boot he acted half way mad because my car was almost ready to run. The guy who gave me the spare tire jumped my car off and I left for home. Needless to say I am less than happy with AAA.

On or about August 11, 2016 I contacted Triple A Portland, Oregon to make arrangements for 3-day excursion from the central Oregon Coast to Salinas, California and back. My needs were specific. A SUV that could accommodate a king size latex mattress, and hotel reservations. Stephanie, researched the dimensions of several vehicles, recommended and booked the vehicle, then emailed trip tik maps to me, and helped me to assess where I would be staying and looked for hotel rooms. Stephanie looked at the reviews of the hotels before she recommended anything.

There were some problems with getting the vehicle at a convenient location, which she tried to resolve and dug deeply enough to find out why. I ended up not taking the vehicle because I found that folding the mattress would not damage it. So, the Sonoma truck with a canopy would work fine. I also ran ahead of schedule and had to cancel one of the reservations north bound. Stephanie, telephoned me at the end of my trip to ask how things went. She has since assisted me in booking a longer term stay across the country, and because I had a budget, spent above an average amount of time to do so. I am very happy with my hotel. Stephanie has a can-do attitude that serves the membership of Triple A Portland, well. Thank you Stephanie. You are priceless.

I moved from Nevada to California, renewed my membership through phone with the California code, and paid of course. The guy who helped me made a mistake and charged me like I lived in Nevada (which is a higher price) and sent me cards with Nevada's code. I called again and the second person who helped me told me to "cancel your Nevada membership" (which I did). "We will refund your money, and pay for the California membership", which I did. That was two months ago, I'm still waiting for the refund! Called twice again, and the assure me they will refund it, again they never have. So as of now I paid twice! So disappointed. I will write a complaint in BBB page.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Phoned Triple AAA 11 o'clock p. m, was informed not to expect anyone until 1:50 a.m. which is 2 hours and 50 minutes later. AAA, what a joke. I am stranded in an area I know nothing about. I have had guys circle my car because I am a female in here alone. To be sitting in a dark empty parking lot until 2 o'clock in the morning is unheard of and I am terrified. It is now 1:28 am, I am on pins and EXHAUSTED. AAA has really gone to the dogs. AAA is now a joke!!!

Called AAA because my truck wouldn't start. I called NC where I created the membership. I gave the guy all the info. He then afterwards say he needs to transfer me to TX since I am there. Why waste my time. I get another guy who ask the same questions. I tell him I am going to car toys. He says car toys doesn't fix cars. I can't tow it there... I was like what. Then he goes reciting some **. Then I tell him I have a breathalyzer on my truck and they are going to fix it. He then authorizes the tow but I have never been refused because of location... The first guy asked me all the same questions and didn't have an issue. What a waste of time.

I have been a AAA member since 1964. I am 70 years of age. The last time I experienced a breakdown was in 2013, middle of summer when it was 90 degrees. I have two children. I had to wait nearly 3 hours before a tow truck arrived. Even then they could not take my children so we had to arrange separately for them to get home. AAA only has a limited number of contracted providers per geographic locality. They have some backup providers. If all their contracted providers and backups are busy, you must wait until they can get to you; no matter how long that might take. AAA is too cheap to call non-contracted providers to assist you no matter what the circumstances. I expect more out of an auto club for which I pay this kind of money.

At my age, I don't want to end up in the hospital over heat stroke when, under ideal conditions of no accidents, no weather emergency; AAA can't get to me because they hold fast to using only contracted providers. They tack on all sorts of bells and whistles as "fringe benefits" to your membership, failing to understand that all I really need from a motor club membership is service when I have an emergency. AAA is good at saying they are sorry but can't do anything to correct this situation. I would no longer recommend AAA. They are not reliable for senior citizens. You cannot count on them if you have a road emergency. It is as simple as that.

If I could give no stars I would. 8/27/16 We call at 9 am in the morning because we lock the key in the car while it was still running, was told 30 min. Hours late and MANY calls someone finally shows up at 2:03 pm (mind you the car was running the whole time) the person that came out told us he was a subcontractor for AAA and that the company was just bought by someone and they are trying to save money and have the AAA guys do all the work so they don't have to pay subcontractors. ** it took the guy less than 15 min. to get in the car, thank god we were not on the side of the road or even had our kids with us. Stop trying to save money and take care of your customers.

We belong to AAA auto services club. Today IN YOUR SERVICE AREA needed a tow, only HALF mile away, to a car shop. THE TOW TRUCK NEVER CAME!! Talk about unprofessional, undependable, pathetic service. AAA left us stranded, alone, confused in a construction zone, in middle of traffic hour, near an emergency hospital! Your services are a parody! CALLED YOU every half hr! No tow truck came for 2 and HALF HOURS! Until a RANDOM truck driver CAME to US and helped US! A RANDOM STRANGER rescued us! Random! A stranger! No thanks to AAA! So you know what, yeah we left, hope your dumb tow truck came later, we were out of there. Your tow truck NEVER came, 3 people specified exactly where we were, no one called us, we kept calling you. Parody!

I purchased the best AAA offered. I called once for a jump. They explained policies for 45 min until my phone died. The next day I asked for a refund. They explained policies for another 30 min. I got nothing for my $138.00. AAA was great in the 80s but now they are just a rip off. My insurance company sent someone right out. Check your other policies. Call your agent for roadside coverage. DO NOT BUY AAA!!! They might leave you stranded the same way they did me.

So after dealing with AAA roadside on this issue since 07/15/2016 and a total of 8 service calls; I have come to a decision that I should reach out to BBB and have it resolved that route. I have spoken to several Reps and Supervisors at the call center who just keep saying they understand but don't want to resolve the issue. All I want at this point is a replacement or refund for the battery. All transactions happened in 2016.

01/14: Bought battery from AAA. 07/15: Placed a call thinking my battery was dead. 07/26: Battery died again and placed another call. Excel road service came out and driver was rude to begin with and stated it was the alternator. 07/28: Drove the car to Autozone for alternator test and it was all good and they stated it was the battery. 07/30: Battery died again and another road service call was placed and the same rude driver came out and kept saying it's the alternator. 08/01: Drove to Honda and they tested the Alternator and said it was working perfect and there was no issue with that; but their mechanic suspected the battery since it was not holding charge and kept draining faster than it should.

08/01: Spoke to a Supervisor who noted on my account not to send the same rude driver out. 08/04: Towed my car to my mechanic and he stated Alternator was fine and it was the battery. 08/19: Placed another call for battery replacement and SAME rude driver came out and did not want to do anything instead kept arguing that it's the Alternator not the battery and till that is not replaced he will not do anything. So I sent him back. 08/25: Called Roadside again and explained to the rep on the phone who said she will send another service out B&R out who will replace the battery. Instead they came out and stated they don't replace battery instead they gave a jump start and battery died in seconds. 08/25: Called Roadside again and asked for supervisor. But from her tone she implied that I'm Lying and Excel Roadside service driver is saying the Truth.

After all these calls to AAA Roadside I believe AAA is not going to replace the battery and I will have to resolute to BBB and get it resolved that way. All I want now is either replace the battery or refund me the amount paid and I will go over to Sears and pick up a new battery. On top of this I'm going to cancel my AAA Membership at the end of this year due to this kind of run around for a member who has been with AAA for 15+ years. I will post this on Consumer report so People know how poor service I have received for being a Loyal AAA customer. All of this happened in Vernon Hills, IL so if you Get AAA Be careful if they assign you to Excel Road Service and never buy AAA Battery. I learned it the hard way of their P*** poor service.

Upon referral of a friend who's a AAA member for over 20 years I got AAA Plus membership last year. On 21st of February I was travelling south bound on I-95 when I was close to Winch Rd intersection of I-95 in Maryland I realized my vehicle's lug nut was open so I pulled over right underneath Winch Road bridge on I-95 south bound I believe the town name is Port Deposit MD. I came out of my car suddenly and I didn't realize I locked my car key in the ignition with the running engine. I called AAA around 11:32 PM explained my problem that I need my tire to be fixed plus I'm locked out. I was provided reference number ** for my call. After a while I called again to check the status of my call I was told ROADSIDE SOLUTIONS ELKTON, MD. dispatched a driver for my help.

About 20 minutes later a driver pulled over behind my car in a pickup truck with a yellow light flashing on top of his truck. I explained him my problem I was facing. I realized he was so high he didn't even hear what I said. He ordered me to protect his back while he was trying to open the door so that no car gonna hit his back. As soon as he opened the door and ran back to his truck and locked himself inside the truck. I walked slowly to his vehicle and requested him to fix my tire as well. He opened about 6 inches of his window and yelled "I CAN'T DO THAT" I realized his poor situation he was in. I found it was better to fix the tire myself. I requested him if I could borrow his jack and tire wrench that I didn't have in my car unfortunately that night. He yelled again, "I don't have in my truck." (Imagine a AAA driver for roadside assistance having no jack and tire wrench on a service call for tire problem.)

I again realized he was not in his sense what he was doing. I again requested him to at least stay behind my car for my back up for few minutes at least let me check if I could fix my tire myself. He yelled again I can't stay for long time. He moved his truck at 10 yards behind my vehicle like I was a dangerous person. As soon as I came to my car I realized he was long gone. I called again AAA for help and said what their driver did to me in the middle of the night the operator asked she will call me back with the new dispatch status.

About 5 minutes later I was surrounded by bunch of K9 and state troopers. They said they got complaint from AAA that I ran over their driver with the tire wrench and metal rod and tried to hurt him. I explained humbly to the cops the situation I was facing for the last 90 minutes and I offered them to search my whole car and if they find any tire wrench or any metal rod I'll happily surrender my for arrest. One of the cops was kind enough to understand my situation and realized how AAA was behaving with me. He called another tow truck for my help. I had to pay $175 to take my car to the next exit where I had to pay again to fix my car.

I called again AAA and spoke to Mr. ** AAA midnight dispatcher who refused to help me and said he called cops on me for my help not to arrest me. He also said ROADSIDE SOLUTIONS ELKTON, MD who dispatched the driver might have filed complaint against me. That was the last time I used AAA and will never use in my life again. That was the worst lesson of my life. I recommend everyone not to use AAA especially if you're in Maryland. Drug addicted drivers might put you in trouble instead of helping you out.

Seemed to be a good idea to have road service on our vehicle for travel. I made the mistake of signing up for AAA online in 2014. Discovered after a couple months of being a member that we already had "road service and emergency coverage" thru General Motors extended warranty. Called to cancel our membership for any refund to our Visa card. Unfortunately failed to follow up on that only to discover that we had automatic deductions taken out for a further 3 years.

When it was discovered, and a refund was requested, I was informed that when we failed to "uncheck" the box on the online membership form for automatic withdraw, they legally were under no obligation to refund anything but current year. The agent specified that using "automatic payment" was a legal contract and they were under no obligation to refund anything but current year; regardless as to whether I was aware of the membership or not. Lesson learned: Read the fine print; carefully examine ALL boxes checked or unchecked; because if you are not careful, you may be obligated by law to pay whether you want the service or not. Total loss to me was $ 400.00 for membership we never knew about.

I have been subscribing to AAA Roadside assistance for over 20 years. Recently, I had family visiting us along with small children and we took them out for shopping in Cary Towne Center. While coming out of the mall, we found our car battery had died. I called AAA with my Plus membership number at about 8:00 PM on Saturday August 6th, 2016. They promised to send me a tow truck within one hour. The whole family waited outside until 9 PM and no one showed up. We called again and they said, it could take another 30 to 45 minutes. We found family to be in unsafe condition and had to call one of our friends to come and pick us up. We eventually ended up canceling the service call and managed to take our vehicle next day. But, I lost faith in AAA and they really do NOT appreciate their customers' sensitive needs.

At approximately 7:40 p.m. on Sunday (8/14/16) I called AAA due to a dead battery. The dispatcher advised this wasn't a problem and they would send someone from Affordable Battery by 8:30 p.m. The technician arrived at 8:16 p.m. and was very nice. I mentioned to him, as well as to dispatch, that I had been away for 2 months and my car had not been started during that time. He stated that was no problem, and proceeded to hook up the jumper cables. After a minute (3 or 4 tries) my car started right up. He let it run for a minute, maybe less, and removed one of the cables, at which point my car went completely dead again. I asked what happened, then he reconnected the cable back up to the battery which produced a significant amount of sparks.

The car started up immediately. He told me to turn off the car, which I did, and he proceeded to advise me that my battery was completely dead and I would need a brand new battery. He also claimed that the dead battery in my car had been discontinued. This battery was put in my car in April of 2015, also by Affordable Battery sent out by AAA. I asked the technician why I could possibly need a new battery, when the current one wasn't even 2 years old. He stated that the only way it would be covered under warranty would be due to a manufacturer defect, and 1 or 2 other reasons, and that "severe damage" was not covered under the warranty.

I was told "severe damage" included not starting the car for 2 months, as was my situation. I asked for the price and he rattled that off in a split second, down to the penny. The battery I purchased in August of 2015 was $15.00 less than the one I was told I needed. There was no offer of a prorated amount, or even a suggestion that may be an option. He then realized he didn't have any batteries with him and would have to go get one and come back. He went all the way back to his shop, came back over an hour later, and installed the new battery fairly quickly, took my check, gave me a receipt and his business card, and left. The technician was very nice, but I feel as if I got ripped off.

First of all, when I initially called AAA, I stated it was a dead battery issue. That being the reason for the call, the technician should have ensured that he had the proper battery in his truck. He left around 8:35 or 8:40 p.m., to pick up the new battery. Prior to his leaving, I advised the technician I had an early morning appointment across town and needed the car first thing. He did not return until approximately 9:40 p.m. Completely unacceptable that he arrived without the battery, and that I then had to wait for approximately hour for him to return.

There was a "Limited Warranty" condition circled on my receipt from August of 2015, which I pointed out to him. His only response to this was "we don't make any money off batteries." I find it hard to believe that a subcontractor for AAA doesn't make any money on installing batteries. Why can't AAA send out an actual AAA employee, as opposed to a subcontractor, who clearly has to make money to survive? I have read other reviews this evening, after this experience, and there seems to be a common theme that AAA Affordable Battery is a rip-off.

I have had my AAA membership for approximately 32 years and have barely ever had to use them. However, I will be filing a formal complaint with them and I will be demanding a prorated credit be returned to me. I fully believe that AAA Affordable Battery is a rip-off, and that AAA should stick to sending out THEIR OWN ACTUAL EMPLOYEES for simple things, such as a dead battery, to alleviate the appearance of impropriety and/or price gouging. Obviously, when I tell the technician I need my car for early Monday morning, and it's Sunday night at 8:15, any subcontractor knows they have you over a barrel.

I want to reiterate, the technician was VERY nice, despite my obvious infuriation at the news my battery was completely dead and would need to spend $150.00 to get a new one. Being a female, and not having much knowledge about car batteries, I'm a prime target. And by the way, the battery that was replaced in August of 2015 was over 6 years old, and was a battery that was purchased from AutoZone and installed by a trusted mechanic. The technician who came out in August of 2015 was amazed that the battery had lasted as long as it did. Seems to me AAA Affordable Battery is installing sub-par batteries, in the hopes that they will have plenty of "repeat business". I think a complaint to the BBB will be my next step after my complaint to AAA tomorrow. If I can, I will update this post if additional information, positive or negative, becomes available.

Pros: The benefits were great and came in handy when needed. Unfortunately, due to an employee I sadly have to give 2 stars. She truly ruined my views on the professionalism of this company. Sure sucks. Cons: Unfortunately, I received my first (and only) traffic ticket. Super minor violation. My bill went from $100/month to $180/month. I decided to continue service and pay for my mistake because so far I enjoyed the insurance benefits and the CS team.

After paying $180 for 2 months, my bill went up to $260/month. Curious, I called for an explanation. I was already paying an increased rate due to my one point, so why did it raise again if nothing else changed on my record? Instead of getting answers, I got yelled at by a CS rep. She told me "IT'S MY FAULT." and "That's what happens when you get a point. You got a point... RIGHT?!" Just flat out rude and condescending. I asked to speak to someone else and the rep informed me SHE was helping me and kept repeating it was "my fault, my fault, my fault". If there was a reasonable explanation for my bill I would have been happy enough to continue services. But that I'll never know because she refused to say anything else, and refused to transfer me. I told her I had no issue paying $260 (looking back, I was crazy), but I was going to look around and compare prices because I felt my question wasn't being answered.

The rep RAISED HER VOICE, said "EXCUUUSE ME!" every time I tried to get a word in and told me "Good luck finding anything cheaper. YOU WON'T." Ok so I like a challenge, so naturally I tell her I'll look around for something cheaper. And IF I find something cheaper, I'd call back and cancel. But I'd be happy to keep AAA if it truly was the cheapest. She asks me why I'd want to cancel and I tell her it was because I don't understand my price hike. She then hangs up on me.

A few hours later I call back in hopes of getting someone new... which I did. However, the very nice new rep informed me she showed that I cancelled my insurance 3 hours prior. I explain the situation, said I didn't request to cancel but the other rep must have done it out of anger. The rep explained they close in 30 minutes and unfortunately if I wanted to keep services, I had 30 minutes to decide. She very politely explained why: to avoid insurance lapses, better safe than sorry (advice I'll always remember). I did find a cheaper insurance so I called back and cancelled. I did let the rep know I'd stay with AAA if it weren't for that one employee. The rep said she understood completely and apologized for my experience. I really appreciated that... But sadly, I will never take being yelled. That's my deal breaker.

I accidentally gave the roadside assistance agent my old AAA membership number. He said "Hold on. I'll call member services for you and get your membership number." Once he returned he had the wrong name and person membership number and told me it had expired and I just purchased the membership 2 weeks ago. I then told him "Can you tell me the membership number or name" and he told me "No I cannot give out that information." I was very confused of why he couldn't tell me the name or membership number that came up.

I told him he must have the wrong information. "I found the correct membership number. Can you please enter this." He told me "No you must contact member services. I cannot help you." I told him "I didn't want any help. I want you to input the correct information and send out a tow truck." Once again the guy was very arrogant and did not want to process my membership number correctly then passed me off to member services to be forgotten about. Cancelled the service the very next day. Very disgusted. Then was told refund would be given. Issued a check. Unacceptable. Paid with debit. Credit card payment taken immediately. Refund should be given the same way. Why should I wait 7 to 10 days for my refund when payment was taken immediately. Refund should be given immediately back to my bank card the way it was issued or cash at a Triple A location. Complete **.

On July 21, 2016: I came in for your assistance with Tags and Title after I moved from out of state to MD. I first called and discussed the service with someone. I also made a query online to be sure I had everything required. I was told no appointment was necessary. When I arrived I was referred to the waiting area for 1/2 hour. There were two Tag & Title people there to provide service. One customer. When I was called, the more senior of the two, a gentleman, called me over. He proceeded to waste my time trying to provide me reasons not to use the service. Cost and the fact that I was going to pay by cash seemed the primary objections. I had the distinct impression he thought this would be too expensive for me. Then he started in on how my papers had to be walked over to the Dept. of Motor Vehicle's office due to the car being a 2010 car. New rules apply to more recent cars. You'd think they did not want the business.

Then he involved the trainee. Things went downhill. She gave me the forms to fill out myself. She then whited out the inserts I made in the power of attorney form. Never mind that I am a lawyer. The gentleman corrected that back to what I wrote. Tick tock, folks. I came to save time. Then I was directed to the service counter to pay. There were two cashiers. I approached the gentleman. He looked everything over and then told the other female employee to do it. So I waited while she looked it over. And, yes, I paid cash. The Tag & Title man must have been shocked. I went back and waited while the two people at that desk made copies and had me sign more stuff. Then they directed me to the car service desk. The woman there said her computer was down. She plunked and plunked on it. Then she moved to the next machine. It was working. Still I waited.

She said nothing else to me other than the first remark. I waited ten minutes. Then she took calls that were on hold. One man was asked six times if he had ever been in the store before. He never did answer. But she persisted. I walked out and went to the dealer where I spent well over a thousand dollars on repairs and my inspection. They could have had that business. As I walked out in a huff the cashier who handed my Tag & Title payment to his coworker to handle asked me if I'd like to get an insurance review. That was hilarious! No. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

July 27, 2016: I returned to pick up my tags once they came in. I was told I should return after my car inspection. I was again told no appointment was necessary. The person was polite. August 2, 2016: When I returned to get my permanent tags at 9:30 am on August 2, I was told no one was in at Tags & Title. I could come back in a half hour. Seriously? These folks do this every day but have no cross-training program or a manager who can fill in?

I called their 888 number and went over to the Rockville office. Nothing will convince me to return to the Shady Grove office. The person on duty in Rockville was nice, but when I went to pay at the cashier's desk no one was there. I waited five minutes for that person to return to her desk. What is the point of so many warm bodies doing nothing? There were two men at cashier stations but they only handle automotive matters. I was asked if I wanted a AAA credit card or a AAA insurance review. Hilarious! Again, their commitment to service is terrible.

I called Triple A to jump off a battery on an SUV in the garage. The person finally arrived and performed a diagnostic teddy. Everything was fine except the battery needed to be charged. He suggested driving it around since it had been sitting. I sat in the garage for awhile and just let the motor run. After awhile, I backed the SUV out of the garage. The front door was not locked. The house key was in the key chain with the key that operated the SUV. Since the SUV had been running quite awhile, I turned off the car and locked the front door. When I turned it on the car wouldn't start. I got someone to jump it off. Although it had been running again it seemed like it was about to choke down. I didn't want to risk it on the road so I drove it back into the two car garage where another car was sitting with no battery. I turned off the SUV and went to turn down the garage and the SUV was in the garage, but not enough for the sensors.

I called triple A again and asked if the same guy could come back and jump the SUV off. I explained what happened. That he performed a diagnostic test but the battery still wouldn't work. The Triple A rep told me they would send someone out again, but it would cost me another free call. I didn't think that was right. I spoke with a manager who said the same thing. Do not use a Triple A. They want to rip you off by taking free service calls multiple times on the same call. Very bad customer relations.

Last night I experienced a flat tire. We called the service center and was put on hold for 45 minutes. Once they answered we were told there was a problem with our card. We were put on hold then hung up on. Called again. Put on hold for extended period then hung up on. Third time same result. Finally I change the tire myself. I registered my complaint with AAA numerous times the evening of the flat and twice since. No call back or any sign that they give a damn. Very disappointing. If you have AAA thinking you will be rescued quickly if your car breaks down, time to cancel it!

My son had a flat tire at 5:45 am - he has AAA Road Side Assistance. He contacted AAA and they stated that he wasn't covered but yet he had his card. I contacted AAA as I was confused as our membership is valid until 9/15/16. They told me that my membership was in full force but his was not - I asked why as I paid for it. They stated that his was not auto renewal. I said ok but now what are we to do? I have been a AAA customer since 1992 and told her that this was an emergency. She didn't care, wtf is wrong with these companies? HELLO IT WAS AN EMERGENCY... I contacted membership services and cancelled my membership - they didn't even care so AAA you suck...

I had car insurance with AAA. My policy was $147 a month and I never had a problem. I was never in an accident or had a ticket. Once my year mark came and my policy needed to renew, I got a letter saying my renewal would start July 31st and every month I owed $173. So my policy went up $30 a month for no reason. I didn't even ask them why because I found a policy with another company for $115 a month for the same coverage. I heard some companies used low rates to get you in then raise them, it's possible that was the case. But I am glad I never had an accident to deal with them. Just be careful.

I've been a AAA Plus Member since 1992 and haven't had any complaints in the service until I decided to have AAA install a new battery in my vehicle. Since first new battery was installed, I noticed that in about a week's time the battery would completely lose its charge and at that time I would call AAA to come and charge it and check battery. They have done this now three times which on one occasion the battery could be charged but again only lasts a week. So I called them again and this time they claim that something on my vehicle was draining it but they would go ahead and replace it. Again they replaced my dead battery after a week with what they claim to be a brand new battery.

Each time these batteries have been installed I noticed that when my keys are in the ignition and my door is open that I could barely hear the bell notification sound, it wasn't faint that I have mentioned this to each battery tech and they didn't seem to either care or listen to my complaint. The way I see it is that AAA installs rebuild batteries claiming that they are new OR all the new batteries are bad and have bad cells. Either way I'm sitting here today with yet another dead new battery that I took out of my vehicle and carried into an Auto shop to have them charge it for me. Well not only is it a dead battery but they informed me that it's bad and will not hold a charge. The last AAA Battery Specialist told me that I had a bad alternator and that he could tell just by the way it stalls out immediately after he removes the cables.

So I have my mechanic remove my alternator and I take it in to be tested and they proceed to tell me that my alternator is working fine. I'm so done with this AAA Battery ** and I now want my money back. I've wasted so much time going back and forth with them about their batteries and now even more time and money having my alternator taken out and tested that I'm now seeing RED!

TODAY my vehicle is going in to a shop so that my alternator can be put back in and the dead battery that remains in my vehicle again can be tested. When diagnosed I'm calling AAA to come and take their 3rd bad battery back and I expect a full refund now. I'm not going to have them put another dead draining battery in my vehicle again. I will post on this site the results of my request for a refund on their bad batteries. I have never had any trouble at all with any of my previous batteries until I had AAA Battery Service install a so-called new battery in 2015. A very Dissatisfied, Disgusted, Disappointed and Done AAA Plus Member since 1992.

I have requested, on NUMEROUS occasions, for information regarding the credit amount given when cancelling the Accord LX, and to date, has gone on deaf ears. Being a member of AAA for MORE THAN 30 years, and consequently cancelling my membership due to EXTREMELY POOR service, I thought POSSIBLY someone would respond to numerous other emails. When having cancelled the insurance on the HONDA, I was given a total of 3.00 credit... Why??? With the expiration of this insurance, and an accompanying home insurance at the end of the year, I am seriously contemplating the cancellation of both. Why, after being a member for 34 years, I should be treated in this manner.

On two different occasions I've been on hold for longer than 20 minutes, one of which was for a supervisor. I believe they transfer customers to a dead line to hold indefinitely until we decide to hang up. I've been a customer for over five years. They are aware of my vehicle and home address but refuse to tow my vehicle home because I was not with the vehicle. They claim they will need ID. The vehicle is registered to me and my home address has not changed in five years. I really don't see the problem. Do they think that someone with the exact same vehicle as mine is impersonating me and asking to tow their vehicle to my home? Ridiculous! They just lost a customer.

My daughters were traveling through Florida and broke down near Daytona Beach. It was over 95 degrees in the middle of the afternoon. It took almost an hour and a half for the tow truck to get there and he had a female passenger with him. Once he hooked up my daughter's car, he informed them that it was their policy to have them ride in the towed vehicle and not in the cab of the tow truck. Not being from Florida they thought this was normal business practice and they complied.

Because the battery was dead, they were not able to roll the windows down and quickly the car became unbearably hot and they had no way to communicate with the tow truck driver. By the time they arrived at the auto shop, they were drenched in sweat and sick from the heat. This is very serious and potentially life threatening and I believe illegal to have customers ride in the back of a towed vehicle. They lodged a complaint with AAA and have not received a return call and I tried to lodge a complaint and after being on hold 35 minutes, the line was cut off. This is not what I expect as a AAA member. I have always trusted AAA and now I don't. This is certainly not the customer service I expect.

I've been a AAA Plus member for more than 15 years. Last night my daughter's car broke down on I-75 right before the 217 exit. She called AAA and they said they would be there in 45 minutes. Not only did they not arrive when she called back they said they were "closed" and unable to help her for 3 hours and to call back then. When she called back they said they had no one to help her and no estimate of when she would get help. I called local towing companies and within 10 minutes found several towing companies that could help.

She broke down at 6 pm and was finally towed at midnight...and not by AAA! The whole reason I signed up for AAA was to protect my daughter on the road, afraid of her getting stranded and something bad happening to her! I called to complain this morning and they offered no explanations and a weak apology. I've researched AAA and similar companies and they all pay their towing companies pitifully so that's why the service is so poor. Now I will be using HONK, a new app that finds you quick roadside service like Uber. No fee for the app either. If you have AAA thinking you will be rescued quickly if your car breaks down, time to cancel it!

I have had two experiences with AAA roadside assistance: once in North Florida, and once in Northern Alabama. Both times, something happened to my car unexpectedly. Once related to tires/wheels and the other time the alternator. I called and had less than satisfactory treatment. In North Florida, I was told I didn't have the service, even though I had been paying for it for the last 6 months. I had to continue arguing on a dying phone about it, and had to call friends to get assistance with dealing with the situation. All in all, it took 3 and 1/2 hours for someone to show and tow my car.

In the second situation, I called from northern Alabama after my car quickly shut down after an alert related to the alternator and battery unexpectedly popped up. I was first told that a tow truck was on the way, but this was, in fact, a lie. That truck had gone to Memphis with a car. I was told a second servicer would be on his way to me. 30 minutes later, I receive a notification that the tow truck had just left and would take 20 minutes longer than expected. This was all happening late at night, barely on the side of a dark highway with vehicles going close to 70 mph in the lane about 30 feet from the car. I had no other option (see: rural Alabama) and had to wait. I'm not sure if this is an issue via call centers or some of the locally sourced tow work, but these are two similar experiences in different regions, both with poor results. For what I pay, I expect better.

I call AAA three time and got hang up on all three time. I had blow out on 275 with my baby in the car. The third time I call the lady she told me she can't help me unless I get AAA. I paid 77 dollars. She got all my information then hang up. A man that was driving by help me. AAA never call me back. Poor services.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.
  • Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.
  • Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.
  • A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.
  • Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.
  • International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.
  • Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.
  • Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.
  • Best for AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Compare Roadside Assistance Services