AAA - American Automobile Association

Compare Roadside Assistance Services

Research top Roadside Assistance Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Laura of Westbrook, ME on

I purchased AAA for my children for Christmas. There has been 2 occasions that they needed a tow truck. It was snowing on both days and they were stuck both times. BOTH times they were told they will not tow them because they are too busy! I said this was unacceptable and I wanted to file a complaint. The response by Sam was - she would let someone know. I pay for a service and they do not provide a service. I am extremely disappointed that they will need to sleep in a cold truck all night long because AAA refuses to send a tow truck for a day!

ernesto of Tucson, AZ on

I work at Big O tire on valencia. DORTHY ** brought her car in because it would not start. We ran a charging system test found out the battery was bad. Dorthy said it was under warranty thru AAA Service. She said she would call them on tuesday 2/7/2017, did not show up till thursday 2/9/2017 about 4 pm. She call me that they had not called her back. I told her the guy had left around 4:30 and it was done. ARRON did not contact her. She needed her car we then went to pick her up at her home.

She should have gotten better service from ARRON. He then wanted a read out on the test we did. I had a customer I was taking care of keep ask for a copy of the test. I told him I would get him a copy when I was done with my customer. He then parked his van in front of my door blocking traffic. I told him to park in a parking spot had an attitude that I told him to move it. He then calls my corp. office to complain that I did not have a print out for him and had to wait. He needed to take care of your customer instead of worried about a print out that he should have done himself.

Deborah of Arabi, LA on
Consumer Increased Rating!

I thought that I closed my account with AAA and when I saw the automatic charge on my credit card and called to request it removed, they refused to remove the charge. It was 1 month after the charge (since I didn't see it until time to pay my credit card). It seems like a good reputable company would prorate any service not used. This was a terrible experience and they cheated me. They only hurt themselves because I've used them off and on and purchased this for our son for a birthday gift but he didn't want me to renew his membership. I had no idea I was on automatic renewal. I will never use their service again.

Greg of River Falls, WI on

I have had service done on my vehicles several times and trusted AAA because of their name. Last time in to have oil change said I needed new brakes and rotors on car. ($500 for front, $450 for rear.) Said radiator bad. $400. Said power steering unit leaking needed to replace $800. Valve cover gaskets leaking $100. Now I wonder if I needed front brakes done and I had synthetic oil put in on the oil change and wonder if it was synthetic for $67.

Wow, said I couldn't afford all that said I should do front brakes immediately, so I did for $565, said I'd have to wait for rest. Called another repair shop close by asked how much for rear brakes, $100 dollars less than AAA. Went there,( Greenway auto) to do rear brakes, told them about everything else, said they would check out. Called a while later said rear brakes check out at 7mm. (new 10mm) said they are fine. Checked power steering, fine, little oil or grease around it but normal. Pressure tested radiator no leaks, a little low on antifreeze, but could have been intentionally lowered by AAA. (A quess.) According to Greenway auto I was being lied to about everything that needed to be done. Close to $3000 at AAA. Will never step foot in AAA again! AAA 15439 n 40th st Phoenix Az.

Meghann of Tujunga, CA on

The tow truck driver was very kind and helpful. This complaint is not about him. It is about the service I received from AAA. My car was towed earlier today from my breakdown location to a mechanic shop. However, where the tow truck driver parked it, it was inaccessible to the mechanic shop. I called to see if they could get the tow truck to move it and waive the service so it would not count as one of my tows, and the AAA representative refused to allow that.

I feel that this is absolutely the most unprofessional way to handle the situation. It was obviously not my fault where the tow truck put the car, he should have known to put it in a place that was accessible to the mechanic if he was dropping it off for the mechanic. The fact that it was not put in an accessible place should be enough to get a complimentary tow order to correct the mistake. The whole point of getting the car towed to the place it was, was so that the mechanic could get to it. I am very unhappy with the way this was handled. I've been a member for 37 years and I am this close to canceling my membership.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Linda of Manteca, CA on

I have the top Roadside Service thru AAA and it is not cheap! I very rarely have to use the service but had a flat tire when I got in from a out of town air flight Saturday night, 11:12 pm. I called for a tow assistance and was told it would be 1 to 1.5 hrs and that I would receive updates. No updates till I called them back 11:59 PM and then was told they are on their way and I should expect arrival 12:30 AM. Palace Garage Tow showed up and wanted me to DRIVE my car out of the lot as he did not want to damage his new $10,000.00 rig. I refused but did back it out of the parking stall for him. He was rude, putting it mildly. The companies they hire are not very reputable companies and this is not the 1st time I had issues. Length of time to wait is unexcusable, especially for a woman by herself.

Brendon of Cincinnati, OH on

I'm the son of a 75 year old woman who has had AAA for over twenty years. Her car wouldn't start a few months ago so she called AAA. The gentleman came out and told her she needed a new battery which she bought from AAAs onsite battery service. The car wouldn't start three days later, yet a rapid clicking could be heard. I know what this means. It means the solenoid doesn't have enough power from the battery to start the car. When the battery tech from AAA arrived he recharged the battery, tested it and said it was fine. Two days after, car won't start, same symptoms. Tech comes out, same result. This time the tech says its possible that the battery post is loose or not connected properly. Recharged the battery, got the car started, left. Third visit, tech arrives, blames the problem on a possible interior light or some other power draw from the car draining the battery, recharge, left. Seeing a pattern here?

Now, a week later, after my mother has specifically started her car every day, the car is dead, a rapid clicking is heard upon attempting to start it. My mother called AAA customer service and spoke with a gentlemen by the name of Kevin who informed her all he could do was send out a tech to test the battery. That's all they can do, and if it tests ok they will have to charge her for the visit because all of her entitled benefits have been used up. All of her entitled benefits have been used up with visits concerning this one battery! I know for a fact that if a tech comes out he will find an excuse not to replace the battery. My mother just wants a refund of her money that she paid for the battery.

Through what became a heated discussion, my 75 year old mother on the verge of frustrated tears, Kevin told her he would not connect her with anyone else or a supervisor after she asked repeatedly. She asked at least 5 times and at every turn he refused.My mother just wants her money back from the faulty battery and to be done with AAA. I cannot believe, coming from a customer service background, that a company would fight this hard to keep an old ladies money. Money for a product that doesn't work. At this point she doesn't even care about the money, she has to find roadside assistance elsewhere, because even if she chose to keep AAA this fiasco has left her without any benefits from the service until February. She feels, and I feel, betrayed by a company that I trusted. If anyone from the organization cares about the perception of your company and how it treats its customers please reach out to me at **.

Christa of Paulsboro, NJ on

After speaking with a representative and being informed that I could receive a refund for towing and hadn't received same in a timely manner another call was made. After forwarding the original Bill and other info requested I received a call that my case was being processed. However to date have not received the aforementioned. Referenced person Liz.

shannon of Pensacola, FL on

I have been a long standing member with AAA. My son's vehicle broke down and had to be towed. My husband called around 8:45 and the tow truck arrived around 10:20. I called to get an estimated time when the tow truck should arrive. The operator informed me that she could not give me that information because, even though I paid for the membership, the cards had different membership numbers issued to individuals. This is one household, one membership. I was livid to say the least, and asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor advised me I had been given the wrong information, and was able to give me the name of the wrecker service to verify what time they should arrive. I can only imagine if I had been standing out with my vehicle at 10 o'clock at night, disputing facts about my membership to an operator who has no clue.

Joshua of Richmond, VA on

For quite some time now, despite reporting AAA to The Better Business Bureau, I still receive their vacation guide at this address every month. I have repeatedly mentioned that the person listed does not live here. They said they would remove this address from their mailing list, but they obviously haven't. If they can't remove somebody from a mailing list, I hate to think what I would have to go through to cancel their service.

John of Panama City, FL on

On Jan. 6 2017 (0900 AM) requested a tow from AAA roadside assistance. Conversed with dispatcher/phone operator that I need a flatbed tow truck to move my wife's 1999 Jaguar XK8 to the only shop in Panama City FL (EURASIA) that would work on it. Dispatcher asked me "does car start", I stated "no", however it is NOT the battery in that I installed a NEW battery the day before ($185.00) and that I called the local shop because the alarm system activated several days prior which in turn I believed was the root of the problem (Security Alarm Preventing Vehicle From Starting).

Background info on myself/age 57/have experience with auto related problems with domestic cars/trucks, current owner 73 CJ5 Jeep/2001 Dodge Ram 4x4: I am proficient in some vehicle repair issues on past and present vehicles I.E. Front Wheel Bearings, Charge Replace - Battery, Radiator, Starter, Alternator, Oil, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Air Filters, etc. Just wanting all to know I'm not ignorant on how vehicles work and can and do get my hands dirty maintaining them. Dispatcher asked me what I thought was wrong and I gave a brief explanation of what I've done I.E. replaced battery, called shop for DIY fix-reset alarm system, however will not start car and I need the flatbed truck to house. Additionally she was given all information on make and model of vehicle. With that she informed me that I should expect the DRIVER to arrive by 1100 AM.

While I'm waiting for tow truck I receive a call from my employer, Florida Wildlife Commission that we have a dead bear and ASAP I need to retrieve bear for proper disposal and investigation. I inform them I will depart as soon as tow truck removes car, but no problem I'll retrieve it. 1100 AM comes and goes so I re-dial and call dispatcher, I am informed that driver is running late, "SORRY but will be there in 45 minutes". At almost exactly 1145 a CAR drives up with two younger guys with the AAA logo. I approached the driver and stated, "WHERE IS THE FLATBED WRECKER." The driver stated, "THEY told us you needed a jump start and that your car will not start." With that I said I've waited 3 hours for NOTHING and a few choice words about AAA and the dispatcher. The driver then started stammering about AAA sending them on runs that people needed tows not jumps and that he was sorry.

With that I called AAA dispatcher and informed her of what has transpired, Long Wait For Improper Assistance With What I REQUESTED. She then apologized for incident and after putting me on hold told me my wrecker will be there in 45 minutes. An hour plus goes by and wrecker arrives, however instead of sending me a flatbed wrecker for the Jaguar XK8, a sling tow wrecker arrived. As he pulls up I state: "YOU'RE NOT TOWING THAT JAGUAR WITH SLING TOW." Driver states even if I wanted there's no way that type of car could be towed without a flatbed. He then states AAA when requesting service did not ask for a flatbed wrecker. I then ask him, "Can you get me what I need," and he calls back to his dispatch and informs me it will be an hour. He departs location and as you can imagine I'm fuming.

I now call AAA and ask for a manager at the dispatch center. After waiting 8 minutes on hold a manager answers. I then question this person on "What and the heck is going on with AAA, I've been a member for 17 years and have never had such incompetence", with that I gave him the entire nightmare scenario just far. He then asked me if he could ask me a few questions. Did I state the car would not start on my first call for assistance, did the initial AAA response car ever call me prior to arriving, did the wrecker driver or Co. call me prior to arrival??? I then stated, "YES told the dispatcher car would not start however gave her all information on what I DID and THAT I REQUESTED A FLATBED WRECKER, and on the other questions NO, no one called me prior to arriving."

The manager then explained that AAA is under a new management protocol that once the computer is tagged Car Will Not Start, they will NOT SEND a tow truck first, additionally I should of been contacted by both response drivers to ensure what I needed. He then explained that I fell in a category that management needs to figure out best to respond to because of the problems that I've encountered. That I should of been sent a wrecker due to my experience on understanding what I needed, both drivers should of called me to talk directly with me so that they would of known not to arrive but get me correct response, and that even the wrong Jaguar type was in the computer, S Type not XK8 from original dispatcher. Additionally I would receive a questionnaire/review form to state my opinion and problems with AAA as conversed to go to management.

In closing I informed him I now have been waiting 4 1/2 hours, still do not know if I really have a flatbed coming and can he at least give me some information on what's up? He then put me on hold for 5 min, returned to inform me wrecker will be there in an hour and yes it's a flatbed. He did acknowledge that AAA did not request a flatbed on original request. With that the wrecker arrived in an hour and half, with correct vehicle. Tow driver informed me that AAA is not what it used to be and that repeated problems persist with company on his end too. Driver departed at 3:00 pm, 6 hours later from initial call.

Note on Bear: As this problem kept going on I called my employer several times about bear issue, employer at 2:00 pm gave incident to another agent, thus I lost 100.00 job. THANKS AAA I SPENT ALMOST AN ENTIRE DAY WAITING, LOST $100.00 job. HOPE YOUR COST CUTTING INITIATIVE IS SAVING YOU big money? It is now Jan. 22 and have received no correspondence to rate incident or problem from AAA. The Jaguar did have an electrical problem in that a squirrel had eaten through several wires in motor area causing security system to activate. In closing I'm leaving AAA in May 2017, going with another provider Good Sam, or???

Renee of Howard City, MI on

We have been LOYAL customers to AAA since 1988, 28 years, and bought insurance from them for our two vehicles, our 3 children's vehicles, and our company vehicles! Much $ for these many long years to them. This past year, we moved our office to a new place, got a new office administrator who was fresh out of college, a very smart young man who is our son, and we lost our wonderful AAA agent Dave ** who we had since 1988. This is what occurred. Our daughter hit her deer and damaged her car greatly one evening. She called to report it and something was not right. AAA customer service were acting strange. They were not responding as usual to help us get our car into the body shop right away. I decided to call, and the representative stated to me that our insurance lapsed and there has been no coverage for over a month now. WHAT? Not one phone call! We did not know that we were not covered at all.

Dave ** was the BEST insurance man ever. He called us if there needed to be changes to our accounts or for any reason. He retired last year! I would think that if there was a problem as big as our policy lapsing, a person from AAA would have notified us by phone. They later after the fact of what happened, told us it was enough, to send out a letter and it wasn't their responsibility to call us. Well, the bill was overlooked in our new office and our son sent it out 4 days before the grace period ended in the mail.

In our business, we wait for sometimes months to a year to receive our pay from companies after doing a job. This is how it works in construction. In our son's mind, when he saw the bill, he had thought that it would be ok to send it since it was still before the grace period ended. He now knows he should have called in a payment, but dealing with late money coming in continually, he honestly didn't think this one time would hurt anything. I explained everything to the Customer Complaint Department Marquita **, and got nothing but a letter back stating it was all our fault and they were not going to help us at all. I wrote a letter to CEO Mr. Richardson, of AAA, and received another letter back from Marquita **, basically saying the same thing. It was our fault, etc, etc.

AAA is all about the money, and our policy has never lapsed once since 1988. We paid thousand of dollars to this company and had very little claims all these years. The one time our policy lapsed because the money in the mail didn't arrive in time, and all of those other circumstances that occurred, and our daughter hitting a deer, showed that AAA is NOT LOYAL TO THEIR LOYAL CUSTOMERS. I have to say and never thought I would say this in a lifetime, that I am thankful my daughter hit that deer by our house, because none of us had insurance coverage since AAA stopped it before we even realized there was a lapse in our coverage due to the late payment!!! We also are thankful to God that our daughter was uninjured and that our two sons and my husband and I did not have any accidents. It would have changed our lives completely if it had.

We are sad that our AAA company of 28, yes 28 years did not even care. It's all about money to them, not people. In our business, if we did this to our people we do work for, we would never have a business. INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE TOO MUCH POWER AND HARD WORKING PEOPLE'S MONEY! It's time for America to stop this over usage of power that has been given to Insurance companies. AAA Failed us completely!

hamid of Okemos, MI on

I am a gold card membership holder. I called for roadside assistance tonight (it is January 12, 2017, and it is -12 F) and I was told I have to wait about one hour till assist get there. I told the agent that it is frozen out there and it is impossible to stay one hour, but she said she can't help about the time provided that I was only five minutes far from downtown. Finally, they didn't show up and I got assist from police. Can you believe that? This is awful. It is worthless. I will cancel it and never work with AAA again.

PaperSky of Beaverton, OR on

What a complete joke the battery service they offer is. I put a service order using their AAA mobile app because my battery is completely dead and was unable to jump it. I realize we got a lot more of snow last night but when they called me they said the service trucks who do the battery service are not even out today. Hey AAA have you ever heard of chains for your cars or trucks. They basically told me that it might be a couple of days and to call back tomorrow.

I asked if she could leave my service ticket active and she said no and to just call. Well after holding for 45 minutes I opted for the mobile app route which basically doesn't mean anything. I asked well should I put another ticket in tomorrow & they said to call except I really don't want to be on hold for another 45 minutes to have some super rude person treat me like crap. Not sure why it's even called roadside service. Way to leave me stranded AAA. Get your act together. Do you not notice your rating is one star. Words cannot express how livid I am.

Victoria of Marmet, WV on

Last night I was stranded in middle of God's country, on a solid sheet of ice on side of a hill (yes it's a road). Called triple A at 2:30 a.m. was told they'd arrive at 3:01 a.m. Then it went to 3:30 a.m. actually arrived at 3:15 a.m. I was watching from where I was, flashing lights so he'd see me. Then as I watch him sitting in front of the road I'm on, he keeps driving, turns around and leaves. Says he can't help, couldn't get up the road!!! He didn't even try. I was in a front wheel drive sports car, almost made it to the top then slid, almost over the mountain. Yet all I got from him was, "Sorry, can't get up that road". Oh yeah, did I mention it was 11, I was freezing. He just left me there to fend for myself. And that's exactly what I did. I got the car to where it was straight and backed it off the mountain. Took me 15 minutes but I SUCCEEDED!!! Yes, indeed I did. And HE FAILED!!! I'm done, will never use them again EVER!!!

Mike of King Of Prussia, PA on

Told them do not automatic renew membership a year ago, but they did anyway (2nd time). When I called, any random person in any office could pick up the call. I had to repeat three times the same info b/c they would transfer you to another random person if they don't want 'waste' time making a new sale. These female 'agent' are absolutely terrible... they only worry their sales commission. I ended up having to call my credit card company to dispute $196 they stole from me and told them to block AAA forever. Read this warning... do not deal with AAA ever. This is not same company.

M. of Jamestown, RI on

I purchased a AAA battery on 1/4/17 through roadside assistance since my battery was dead and he recommended it. The turnover with the replacement dragged causing starter to whine. I asked for another and was told it was my starter. The vehicle had just been serviced by the dealer. I ran the car all day to charge up the battery. The next morning 1/5/17 the car was hard to start. I stopped at a reputable auto store and they tested the battery. It was bad. He said call AAA they are good. I did. They sent another truck who angrily stated the battery was fine, where's my printout but it won't matter anyway. I went back and it was another shift. They tested the battery and it was bad. They called for me. AAA understood my concern commuting and the impact on the starter and alternator. Both tested fine for the auto store that urged me to replace it AAA and the dealer. I have to call their consumer office during business hours.

I cannot remove the battery or will have no recourse for reimbursement. It was after 5 when they decided to make me go through the business office and with the knowledge of me commuting in a predicted snow storm. I will find out today after 9 although stressed it was negligent and it was 24 hours. My bad expensive battery now. I will find out what they say in 6 hours although not hopeful after the hours we spent trying to rectify it tonight. I've been a member since 1975.

Sandra of Vernon, CT on

I have been a member with AAA for over 6 years as I result I have their Auto and Renters Insurance. I can't begin to tell you how many customer service problems I have has in the past. First the poor service started with **- 815 Farmington Avenue - West Hartford, Ct. such an attitude! He is not good with customers or business. He fails to return calls and gives me inaccurate quotes on my Auto Policy to date. In attempting to contact AAA regarding my Auto policy they are unable to find my policy and I spend lots of time on the telephone trying to identify myself. I have no claims to date just rising costs and very poor service.

Recently I had a serious price increase and called and spoke with ** 11-14-16 @ 11:05 am, made some changes and then I never heard back about my updated policy or when it was due. Nov. 12 I had to have emergency surgery (Nissen Fundoplication) and I had to have someone take care of my business, as a result my policy was not paid. No notices, emails, nothing was sent or brought to the attention of myself and my daughter. Once I recovered and returned home I realized my auto policy did not appear to be paid, that was on December 30, 2016 @7:17 pm I called and spoke with **. I explained I could not pay the amount until January 1, 2017. He told me if I paid the policy by January 1, 2017 it would immediately be reinstated. I attempted to call and pay my policy on that day but your offices were closed and the auto payment would not identify my policy number. You were closed!

I then called on Monday, January 2, and once again you were closed. I called Tuesday, today and spoke with ** and then a **. ** told me 30 days had lapsed and I had to have a new policy written which was at a much higher rate than I could afford due to the lapse in policy. This was truly an honest mistake on the part of AAA in not notifying me. In the past if a policy was about to lapse I would be sent a notice telling me this. I received no such notice. I am asking to be reinstated with the policy I had with CSAA at the rate I was paying. I also have renters insurance with I have discontinued which was much higher than my new quote with the identical policy. There is a cost difference of $20.00 a month for the exact same policy. I expect nothing from you because you obviously don't care. I have never had a claim with you and don't plan on any either.

Rima of E Windsor, NJ on

I have been a member of AAA for over 25 years. Three years ago roadside service installed a new battery. A year later, the battery failed and I had to call for roadside service again. I was told the battery they installed was the wrong size, and they replaced it. Now a year and a half later, my car would not start (turned the key and got a click). The driver jumpstarted me and told me I should take my car to my mechanic, and not drive it otherwise. He said I had a fuel pump problem. My long-time mechanic said the fuel pump was fine but the battery would not hold a charge.

I called AAA and was told I had to be there to sign for them to come to replace the battery, AND the battery was no longer under warranty because they count from the first failed battery. Two failed batteries are enough. I told my mechanic to go ahead and replace the battery with something reliable. So much for 25 years of dues. Not there when you need them. Apparently AAA doesn't read these reviews or care or they would improve their service.

Carol of Olympia, WA on

The four hour online driving course is NOT a four hour driving course. I started the course and went non-stop to completion. At four hours there were multiple sections to complete. It took me approximately 5 1/2 hours. I completed each section early, however, it wouldn't let me go on because it had to time out. As soon as one was done, I started the next. The time required to do all the components is significantly more than the four hours advertised. I believe they are misrepresenting this course and doing so intentionally to get the business. I have always been happy with the services I received through AAA, until this experience.

Nick of Miamisburg, OH on

I have been a member since I started driving 21 years ago. I have only used AAA service twice in that time frame and they have both been this year (both for battery service). Both times it was a complete joke. They took three times longer than they had estimated and when they did show up they were no help at all. Last night was the second time I called them and when they came out (after waiting 5 hours). The gentlemen was nice but had no idea what he was doing. Jumped my car, did some tests, told me everything was good. As he was cleaning up I went to start the car again and the battery was totally dead and would not start. He had no idea why. He told me I "might" need a battery. He quoted me a battery for $200 and I said I would like to replace the battery. He then acted started back peddling telling me that maybe it wasn't the battery. Then told me he could sell it to me but he couldn't install it. I said that was fine, I will install it.

He then said he didn't have the battery on him, but he could get one here in less than an hour. I said that was fine - I can wait. He then immediately said the battery is fine and that I really didn't need to replace it. At this point I was just done dealing with this guy. It was obvious he had no intention in helping me. So tried to start my car this morning and it's dead. Honestly I am mostly disappointed. I have always felt this security having AAA for so many years. Then when I see what I am actually paying for it's a joke. He have had the most expensive plan for years, but I will not be renewing my membership in February after 21 years of being a member.

Michele of Pittsburgh, PA on

I called because of a dead battery 3:05 pm. It is now 7:01 pm and they are not here yet. I called at 6:16 to get an update and was told there was another call ahead of me and that someone would call me to let me know when they would get here. Nothing yet. Very frustrating! I am lucky that my car died at home and not on the road. Not sure exactly what I am paying for!

Mila of Gilroy, CA on

Where do I begin... I finally got the chance to sit down and write this review and express how dissatisfied I am with this insurance! For being a loyal customer for over 10 years I would at least expect some assistance as a member. Our RV broke down in the middle of the desert at 6 am. I called AAA member services and they said our membership didn't cover. I was furious! Stuck in the cold in the middle of nowhere with two young children and AAA said that they cannot do anything except provide a number to the nearest tow truck. Yes, we paid $210 out of our own pocket... even after paying more than 10 years' worth of membership payment and only used the roadside service once.

Did I mention I didn't need a tow? One tire busted. All we need was to borrow a jack so we can replace the punctured tire with a spare. $210 just to change the tire! I have my house, two cars and the RV insured by AAA. You would think AAA would mention "by the way, you need to upgrade your membership if you want to cover the RV." Instead they would rather collect your money and hope you will never need roadside assistance. I was ready to cancel my membership and insurance right then and there! Unfortunately everything has already been paid. I'm never late on payment. Should have stuck with State Farm. I guess I better find an alternative insurance company.

Gail of Crescent City, CA on

I called AAA at 5:15 PM and was told it would be a 45 minute wait. This is a small town with 5 towing companies within five miles of my location. When the tow truck did not arrive to change my flat tire by 6:00 PM I called the towing company. The AAA service clerk said was contracted for my area. The towing company told me that they had received the dispatch from AAA only 7 minutes prior to my phone call. I was told they would be out to change my tire within 30 minutes. I called AAA back to ask why the towing company had only received the call to change my tire only 7 minutes prior to my calling the towing company.

I was put on hold for 11 minutes plus for the clerk to find out what happened. She came back and stated the towing company was only 6 minutes out. I told her I had contacted the towing company and was given another 30 minutes until they could respond. She stated she was working with the dispatcher to find out what happened. Even though all of the towing companies are within 6 minutes of my location it still did not get my tire changed any faster. I still have not been told why AAA took so long to send the request for towing. The time from the phone call until the tow truck responded was 2 hours much longer than the 45 minutes I was promised.

Tom of Las Vegas, NV on

Very disappointed. When signing up for AAA on the computer, I input all info required and made payment. Website locked me out with no confirmation that payment received or email. When credit card bill came in, charge were made to my account by AAA. When I called AAA they said it is an active account. Well I informed the girl that I did not get a confirmation or any info sent to me or even a card. I told her that I went on a road trip with my travel trailer and wanted the peace of mind in case of a breakdown (I have two new vehicles and a fairly new trailer). She apologized and offer to help correct the problem, she added my wife on the account even though I added her on when I attempt to sign up. She said she would give me a discount for adding my wife.

Well, got the second bill and she charge me full price but said it was a discount. Very shady practice, customer service said they cannot do anything about it because payment has been made. They did offer a $10 discount on my next renewal date if I do auto pay, ha ha, what a joke. They need to know there are other companies that do the same service at competitive pricing.

J. of Kalamazoo, MI on

As a brand-new AAA client and first-time user of AAA emergency roadside services, I can state without hesitation that our experience yesterday with both the local AAA-contracted towing company and with the AAA emergency roadside services customer service Supervisor 'Phil' is at the top of the worst and most unacceptable services and responses from a business/company and individual employee that I have ever had the mis-pleasure of dealing with.

Our vehicle died in someone's driveway across town from us. We were informed by the AAA rep, per AAA policy, that we had to be with our vehicle with our membership card/info and the keys at time of towing service. The rep stated that we would receive text updates as to the ETA, and the agreement was that we would be on-site 10-15 minutes before the tow truck arrived. The ETA was 4 hours out. Since we could not wait 4 hours at the residence and our other vehicle was also down, we arranged a ride back to our residence, and then arranged a ride back to the vehicle from a nice neighbor. The AAA rep suggested this, and we agreed.

At 6:35, with no ETA updates or calls, my wife called AAA. As she was on the phone with the rep who was informing us that our ETA had been pushed back, I received a call at the exact moment from the tow company dispatcher stating that the driver was on-site with the vehicle - an hour earlier than stated and without having called us or informed us in any way whatsoever. The dispatcher stated that she would inform the driver to wait for us at the vehicle (per AAA policy) as it would take at least 15 minutes to return to the vehicle. As my wife approached the site, the tow truck driver was observed leaving with our vehicle attached, in-tow and driving away. She stopped the operator and asked what was occurring. He stated he was taking it to our designated repair service facility (which we had agreed to).

The tow truck operator towed our vehicle with us being on-site. They towed it without having the key to access the ignition. They towed it improperly from the rear without engaging the neutral setting, potentially causing significant damage to the vehicle (we are awaiting word from our service facility). If my wife and neighbor had arrived on site 10 seconds later, or taken another route, they would never have encountered the tow operator removing the vehicle and would have found an empty spot where the car was supposed to have been, and no one had informed us of this at all. We wasted a trip and everyone's time in 4-degree weather conditions.

The tow operator even stated to the residence owner where the car was that she made contact with him and he stated to her that he was "fine and happy to wait". She then observed him hooking up our car and driving it away without our permission, without us being on-site, without making contact with us, without us presenting our AAA documents and without having the key. As the first AAA rep I spoke to stated, she was "appalled" by the manner in which the tow company and tow operator violated every single agreement that were directed by AAA to follow. She stated that he should not have done any of the above. She stated that the AAA contract with MacDonald's Towing in Kalamazoo, Michigan should be revoked by AAA due to their obvious and clear mis-management and the violation of AAA policies that we as clients were directed to follow. We followed those directives and agreements as documented.

When I spoke with 'Phil', the Supervisor at AAA emergency roadside assistance, the issue was not resolved. "Your vehicle got towed to your repair facility, right?" was the snide, sarcastic, impertinent, rude, dismissive customer service SUPERVISOR 'Phil's' ending comment to me. That's what AAA is standing by: that if your car made it from point A to point B, then they're golden. Anything in-between and any violations of the agreement that you just made with the AAA emergency service rep or violations of AAA policy are simply hairs to split and argue over.

That's all Phil did with me: Argue. Interrupt. Badger. Be combative. Question. Deny responsibility. Allay blame. Try to wear me down. Kept stating that he didn't understand, after I clearly explained the timeline and situation. Kept referring to his "notes" in the documentation, and then insinuating that we, as clients, had not followed AAA procedure somehow. Blame the towing company. Blame the tow operator. State clearly that the tow company and tow operator were at-fault. And somehow even blame US for having the keys to the car, and repeatedly asking me how the keys got to the repair facility (huh? My wife TOOK them there, since she always had them in her possession, while the tow operator never did!), and state that we did indeed receive a text update (it was simply the first text message stating that my new policy was accepted), and so that was good enough for AAA.

Good call, arguing with the client. This rep did EVERYTHING, that I, as a long-time, trained hospitality industry employee and self-employed business owner, have never been taught NOT to do when resolving or addressing valid issues and complaints with clients and customers. Even the first AAA rep I got on the phone said she was "appalled" by the many ways in which our service call went wrong, that none of it should have occurred as it did, and that the towing company should be relieved of their contract. So which is it, AAA? Do you truly feel that this episode is as simply as "we completed the contract" and "we got the car from A to B"? Are you listening, AAA (on social media)?

APPALLING. Absolute GARBAGE. This was to-date about the WORST customer service Supervisor and experience that I've ever had the mis-pleasure of being on the other end of. Complete arrogance and unwillingness to assist us. As a first-time AAA client, I can soundly state that the treatment and service we got was beyond sub-par. It was abysmal, and it is still unresolved. We simply wished a refund on our membership fee or at least one tow service placed back onto our account, but no. Nothing. As 'Phil' stated, "We did our job. Why should we refund your membership fee when we've done our job?" (that's a verbatim quote).

Gary of Merrimack, NH on

Great phone service. Just really long waits in zero weather. Called at 430. By 5 I was finished. They texted me at 5 to let me know they're dispatching. I called three times and was told some erosions saying 15-20 minutes and by 620 I get a text. They're on their way with an arrival at 640 which they showed up at. My issue is what's the point on relying on a company that states truth stretching (lies) about time line and uses verbiage such as "I apologize for the inconvenience"? I have to say I am extremely dissatisfied with the level of service that has been propagated. It is 10 degrees outside that's pretty cold to be outside waiting or inside a car with no heat.

Donna of Picayune, MS on

I had AAA for several years. When I needed them they wouldn't answer their phone, so I canceled their service. The only thing good about them is the travel discounts you can get. The auto service is crappy. Thus 1 star.

Scott of Evanston, IL on

My AAA policy is an RV PLUS account which they sell to you as an upgrade to their base policy which among other things, promises to cover towing up to 100 miles. My son broke down today and was 40 miles from home. They refused to tow him because it was snowing and limited towing to only 25 miles due to the weather. The RV PLUS upsell is a scam. DO NOT BUY. I am cancelling as soon as I confer with counsel. Sounds like possible insurance fraud to me. I will be filing a complaint with the State's Attorney General's Office and The State Insurance Commissioner. Researching possible Class Action Lawsuit. Will post here if others have had similar experiences and wish to join the suit.

Tavia M. of Columbus, OH on

I've been a member of AAA for about 8 years. Never had any problems until day before yesterday when they renewed my membership without notifying me first, leaving me with a negative balance in my bank account. I called the customer service number and told them that I wanted the automatic renewal and automatic payments stopped immediately since that when they took my money without notifying me first, that I was left a negative balance in my bank account. So, I had to go to my bank and talk to someone there and that person gave me a number to call for their to dispute department. Well, after being on the phone with them for about 2-3 hours, the mess was finally straightened out because my bank put money into my account so there wouldn't be a negative balance. But, the matter still has not been resolved with AAA.

The person I talked to at my bank said that it would take about 15 days before I saw a dime from AAA. AAA emailed me and tried to say that there was no credit card on my account for automatic renewal, yet they still took my money! I told them that if the matter wasn't resolved, that I will be canceling my membership. I am not happy about what they did at all.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAutomotive Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix is an automotive expert who earned the title of The Car Coach, and is recognized throughout all forms of media as a woman with in-depth knowledge on vehicles, technology, automotive finance, repair and trends. Founder of Automotive Aspects, Inc., her understanding of automobiles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print and the internet. She writes a column for multiple outlets including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on all the major news and morning shows discussing the latest updates on cars that will help drivers of all ages learn to about cars and make smart decisions.    More about Lauren→

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.
  • Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.
  • Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.
  • A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.
  • Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.
  • International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.
  • Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.
  • Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.
  • Best for AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Compare Roadside Assistance Services