AAA - American Automobile Association

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

AAA - American Automobile Association Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA - American Automobile Association?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: May 12, 2022

I have been a AAA member since college and only used its services when my car had issues. They were always reliable when I would call. Some days I would need to wait longer for their services due to high demand but they would always be there and never not showed up. My fiance and I were planning our honeymoon and my mother suggested we use AAA travel service, she said it was free for members. Well, we contacted AAA, and set up an appointment, they asked us where we were traveling and what dates, etc.

By the time we got to our appointment the travel agent had everything taken care of, a variety of flights and times for us to choose from, places to stay to choose from, prices, and papers printed off for things to do. All we had to do was pay for our plane tickets, rental car, and hotel rooms. After we left the travel agent kept in contact with us letting us know of changes and telling us what we should do with said changes. It has been great and I highly suggest using them next time you decide to go on a trip!

Original review: March 28, 2022

On snowy winter night I called Triple A for a tow. I got flat tire on hwy and pulled off the tow was prompt but the tow co. didn’t want to tow me to Pennsylvania so they opted for tire change. Strangely the tow driver call over radio for help in changing tire from his co. RONS towing. Between the two of them they didn’t tighten the lug nuts so ten miles later my wheel came off on hwy. I called Triple A and they told me to call 911 since I was in middle of hwy my vehicle was totaled from this, however Randy from Triple A north and Alisha from New Jersey Triple A helped me file a claim and I was reimbursed by them for damages the towing company caused I’ve always used Triple A and for my loved ones they come faster too.

Don’t just think that your roadside service from your insurance company is enough. It’s the times slower and you don’t get the miles covered like AAA does. Triple A is the best for you and your family! Thanks AAA for your reliable coverage I’ll always use them.

Get buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Last night my serpentine belt on my BMW 328I snapped while driving. At 10:38pm I requested assistance through AAA, of which I am a member. Estimated time until a tow truck could be sent was 239 minutes. 4 hours!! I didn't like it, but I had no choice really. Fast forward to 1 am and my app had not updated any info at all so I called the 800# and the woman told me the driver was finishing up a service call and would be calling me very soon.

My arrival time, according to the app, states 2:15am. Well, now it's 3:05am and ive yet to hear anything , no calls, no updates, so I called back again. The woman put me on hold for about 5 minutes, came back to the line and said "your driver had some delays and will arrive in about 30 minutes." Okay. Fingers crossed. Then I got a text with a link to see where my tow truck was coming from.

A very nice man arrived with a flatbed. Took my key, attempted to put my car into neutral but the battery was dead. He got his jump box, tried to jump it and still nothing. Not wanting to destroy my car, he couldn't get it onto his truck without going into neutral. He asked me how long id been waiting, I said "about 5 hours - since 10:30". He said "oh man. I'm sorry. I usually have about 15 service calls a nite and tonight you're only my 5th one, so something must be up with the dispatch system.". He felt bad he could not tow my car and that i sat and waited all that time for nothing. He asked how far away I lived and I told him about 12 miles. He offered to at least drive me home and I gladly accepted rather than waiting for family to answer a phone or pay for an Uber home.

So while my car sits, locked, in a parking lot, broken down, I have to make arrangements to get back to my car tomorrow, again call AAA and tell them I need a truck with dollies because my car won't get into neutral. AAA could have at least told me their system was down, or behind or experiencing problems. The truck driver was very kind, patient, did what he could do and even went out of his way to drive me home when he did not have to. Kudos to Matthew the tow truck driver.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I have had a very impressive experience dealing with the Car Care Plus Dept. After having serious engine trouble on my Dodge Challenger and a problem with the person who towed my vehicle to the wrong location, Bonifacio ** made sure that he established a great clear line of communication with me about my vehicle, and kept me informed on what was going on with my vehicle and explained technical lingo in plain english. He even stated he heard about my vehicle troubles prior to my car arriving, gave me a discount probably because he understood my long road to getting my Dodge Challenger running the way it was meant to and simply provided a great customer experience!

This is the skill set a representative of any company who has to deal with customers of diverse socio-economical backgrounds should be trained like, nothing below this standard of care. The great thing is I also experience this with another AAA representative named Alma ** who was responsible for receiving my vehicle, checking it into the service department and assigning it to a technician. I wish I knew the technicians' name because they also went above and beyond in their job with AAA. AAA has their team together the right way!

Original review: June 28, 2021

Just recently I signed back up for AAA Towing. I had canceled it during the Covid crisis and now that we are getting out more with our recreational vehicle on the road I signed back up. I had my coverage previously for years and never used it but little did I know two weeks later... There I was detailing my son's car as he has been extremely busy lately. I discovered a spare key under the floor Matt so I set it aside while cleaning and I had the other key in the ignition, as I switched sides cleaning I shut the door and went to the other side of the vehicle to discover I had locked myself out.

After realizing I wasn't getting back in, a few choice words I remembered??? I had recently signed back up with AAA. I grabbed my card made the call and in a little over an hour Tom with Schmer's Towing arrived and within 5 minutes I was back in action. Now I know I was lucky because I live outside the city of Fort Collins Colorado in the mountains but sometimes lady luck throws you a bone. Tom was on his way back from a call in Cheyenne Wyoming and headed my way. What a gentleman Tom is polite, professional and skilled. No paperwork, NOTHING! He was at the house for 15 minutes and back on the road. AAA took care of everything and the mishap became a pleasant experience, thanks all!

Original review: May 17, 2022

I have been a member since 2014. Fortunately I have never had to use the service. The one time I did need the service in 8 years was horrible. You cannot talk to a live operator without going through the menu that takes forever. Even when asked to press a certain number to get through the menu the automated service does not recognize the number I pressed. When I finally got the tow scheduled it stated that they would be to me in 2 hours. Once the 2 hours approached I received a call from AAA representative that they were still trying to located a vendor. Another hour and a half passed and I received another call from an AAA representative that they found a vendor but it would be another 60 to 90 minutes. Total wait time is expected to be 5 hours. Likely I was at my home. After 8 years of membership I will most certainly not be renewing my membership in November. I will be switching to Good Sam Roadside Assistance as they are rated #1.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Buyer Beware!!! Do yourself a favor and choose another auto club/roadside service provider. AAA took advantage of my 76 year old mother, suffering from Alzheimer's disease, selling her a bad battery but refusing to honor the warranty when the battery died with 4 months and less than 100 miles on it! I moved my mother from Colorado to Georgia when she was no longer able to live on her own. Her sister (who is a AAA member) traveled back to Colorado with her to close her house and get her belongings sent to Georgia. In the process they found that her car battery was dead and had AAA come out to replace it, selling her a new battery with a (supposed) 6-year warranty.

Fast forward to May (4 months later), the battery died and would not jump start or take a charge. I spent the better part of the day on the phone with AAA in Colorado and in Georgia trying to sort things out, only to eventually be told that they might sell the battery to my mother as a non-member/previous member with an expired membership, but that they wouldn't honor their warranty. Their shoddy business practices and clear willingness to take advantage of an elderly woman suffering from dementia such that she couldn't understand or remember that nuance even if it were explained to her initially have guaranteed that I won't be doing business with this outfit in the future.

One point of note, the Colorado club did work with me diligently to get the documentation I needed to show the purchase and warranty since my mother could barely remember the exchange and certainly not the details. It was on the Georgia end that I received no help. I did end up going to the local auto parts store, testing and verifying that the 4 month old (with less than 100 miles) battery was indeed bad, and buying a new battery, which solved my issue.

Original review: May 12, 2022

AAA installed a new battery in my car in 2021. In May 2022, my car battery died. AAA asked if I wanted to purchase a new battery. I said, "No. I need my battery charged." AAA charged my battery and never mentioned it was under warranty. The next day, my car wouldn't start again and I had AAA towed my car to dealership. The dealership said, "The battery is dead and needs to be replaced." Within eight months, I have purchased two car batteries because AAA failed to inform me of my battery warranty. Will not renew AAA membership next year.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I called 911 first. I called AAA next. I was told someone was in route. City of Houston was on site in 12 minutes. 20 minutes later I was being dropped off at the next exit gas station. I asked AAA if they would reimburse me for the tow. The operator could not tell me one way or the other. I understood someone was on the way. That was a half dozen calls and two hours ago. This is how a premium member of 43 years is now treated, I can assure you this is not the same company we have depended on for almost half a century. 3 hours and am still waiting… I should have paid the $150.00 to the City Towing Company. I will now start using our insurance assistance to see if I can get picked up.

Original review: May 8, 2022

Been a AAA member with my parents for a few years and have needed to use it twice. The first time they left me waiting on the side of the road for 8 hours with a disabled vehicle. They kept saying someone was coming but nobody was being dispatched. Tonight my dad was driving us home in the rain on the interstate and there was a pothole in the fast lane and we blew a back tire. We immediately requested help- giving out coordinate location, AAA membership number, cellphone, email, and full name. We were given a wait time of 53 minutes so we called asking if anyone could be dispatched sooner since we had my two kids in the car and it was 10:45pm on the side of i78. We were told they’d be there at 11:50 and to call the police.

I phoned 911 for the first time in my life, my dad getting out a senior man getting out the donut trying to save us from this precarious situation, and the AAA representative said it’s only been an hour? And asks for our email again. When we say we need an ETA, we’re told to be patient and have a fabulous day. The representatives from the company were patronizing, rude, and indignant- even when the officer asked to speak with them, they said we can only talk to the AAA member! My mother speaks with an accent and the individual kept insinuating she was too difficult to understand! (My parents are highly educated and articulate!)

The cop finally got the lady to give the name of the tow company and the cop called for us and they said 15 minutes. After an hour and a half- the officer was able to get the same company that AAA supposedly dispatched there- in 15 minutes. It was a 2 hour ordeal from hell. Kids had to use the bathroom, the officer even said we are in an extremely dangerous place don’t exit the vehicle and put up flares! AAA couldn’t care less! Their professionalism is deplorable! I would never use them again or recommend them to a friend. Their ability to generate tows is problematic since these companies don’t even want to work with them. In the first incident I was told the tow companies just clear any request coming in from AAA because they never get paid! Well we pay every month and can’t get help when we are in dire straits! Turns out they’re damaging relationships between their customers and their own vendors. Hope they go belly up. I know people are fed up!

AAA author review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Advisor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information