AAA - American Automobile Association

Compare Roadside Assistance Services

Research top Roadside Assistance Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Michelle of Midlothian, VA on

I had a very embarrassing and unpleasant experience at the AAA location yesterday afternoon, located at 13732 Hull Street Rd. Midlothian, VA 23112 (804) 744-1513. I was on the way to the grocery store and heard a pop noise with my tire, then I could hear something while I was driving. The AAA place was the closest to me and I was afraid the tire was going to give out. It was about 5 minutes before 5:00 PM and I asked the attendant if they could put the car up on the lift to see what the issue was, so I would not get stuck or blow a tire while driving. I am female and I was by myself (husband out of town). I told him I was willing to pay whatever the charge would be. I could tell the attendant wanted to help but he said he has to ask his manager.

The manager said "no, we are almost at closing time," then they proceeded to shut down the garage doors as I was sitting there. As I could hear the doors closing, I did not know what I was going to do and it was just a horrible feeling. I decided to risk it and try and make it to Merchant's several miles away and made it. They took me in and I bought two new tires from them. The Merchant's manager said they have a no turn away policy if someone comes in with a tire issue no matter when, even if it is near closing. This is because it's a safety issue and I could have been hurt and so could have others. The tire had a huge screw in it and very likely would have blown the tire had I driven very much further. Wow, thank goodness for Merchant's Tire, and shame on AAA.

Louis of Dublin, CA on

I was at SFO had lost my keys had a club on my steering wheel. I called AAA ask them to send out a (Towing) truck. AAA told me They couldn't send a truck out because they had none available for the service I needed, and that I couldn't go no further than ten miles with that service. The service wouldn't be available until after 6 in the morning. I would have to stay at my truck for 5 hours that night but still couldn't get the tow because of the 10-mile restriction. What the hell am I paying this company For? I ended up paying a taxi 120.00 to get me half way home and had a friend take me the rest of the way. AAA sent me a renewal notice, I told them I'm not renewing. AAA is Pathetic!! They don't stand behind their clam service. I'll save my money and take My chances, I'm not going to pay a company that doesn't do what they advertise.

J. H. of Caldwell, ID on

My van broke down in Yellowstone National Park at the Ice Lake Trailhead. For some reason, AAA is not allowed to "rescue" its customers in the park; that is handled by contractors within the park, who have it all sewn up. This one was out of Canyon Village, Yellowstone Park Service Stations, Inc. It cost $565.65 to get towed into West Yellowstone, Montana. AAA of Oregon - Idaho REIMBURSED me for this out-of-pocket expense (after completing and sending-in the required "claim form"). Receiving AAA service, I was then towed into Idaho Falls, Idaho, where the van was repaired. The AAA towing "agent" from West Yellowstone was extremely helpful and made certain that I got to Idaho Falls in time to get the van repaired.

I have the AAA "Premier" coverage, which is $147 per year and worth every penny. Alas, I have had other roadside emergencies, and AAA has always been extremely responsive. Yes, depending upon your location, you may have to wait a while, but they get to you as quickly as possible.

Charles of Manchester, GA on

We have been a AAA contractor for 35 years, my father started doing business with AAA in the 80's. For the last 5 years we have been trying to get a company that was very good to us and to its customers to do the right thing. They have developed a take it or leave it attitude. For the last few years we have been trying to get AAA to go back to their old rates and to cover us out on the road if their customer is gone when we get there. AAA used to make sure their customer was taken care of that was their primary concern. Now their primary concern is the $ how much they can stick in their pocket while leaving the customer stranded or the contractor out looking for a customer that has long been gone.

AAA representative told me point blank that if the customer is gone when we get there is just our tough luck, he would not do anything about it. They did not do business like this years ago. They sent us many miles down the road looking for stranded customers and paid us for it. Just to help the customer, just to make sure their customer was safe. Their attitude and their changes in policy have caused us to lose money, to lose other income because while we were out looking we missed other calls. I finally gave up today and decided going from 2000$ to 4000$ per month to less than 100$ each month was not going to work for my business. Contracts I was told now do not have to be signed from year to year. So I asked if I could be fired.

Carolyn of Sarasota, FL on

On April 2, 2017 at 11:00 pm I blew my tire on 75 near Ruskin (about 34 miles away from where I live in Sarasota, Florida). After waiting about 50 minutes the tow driver arrives. The tow driver says he can't jack up my van to change it to my spare. I was so confused by this, he tells me he doesn't have the right tire jack. They are AAA certified tow trucks and they can't change a tire. Anyway the tow truck driver told me he would either tow me ($120 to tow back to my home in Sarasota). He said, "Have it towed or I will have to leave you on the side of the highway." Being it's midnight on a Sunday I had no choice. Let me tell you I am a woman by myself and have 3 children waiting for me at home.

Well it gets better once I am in the tow truck and being towed home. The driver tells me he has a foot fetish and if he can play with my feet he will tow me for free. I am so freaked out and just hoping I get home safe at this point. That tow truck driver didn't want to change my tire. He had a ploy and wanted to try and take advantage of my situation.

I called AAA and made a serious complaint. I told them the whole story and felt I deserved the $120 back because that tow truck driver took advantage of me. The supervisor felt so bad and was so angry I had gone through this and said he thought I should be reimbursed and was forwarding to the customer service dept that handles it. He also told me they would return my call in 3 to 5 days. Well guess what? They didn't return my call. I had to call them.

Finally talk to someone and she informs me that I won't get the $120 back because I had a choice to have it towed to a mechanic in the area, now remember it's Sunday, midnight, in a place I don't know and no way of getting home to my kids in Sarasota. All I wanted was my tire changed. There was absolutely nothing mechanical thing wrong with my van. There should have been NO REASON they couldn't change my tire. Isn't that why we pay for our membership fee. Lucky me I get an apology letter. Guess I should be thanking them for putting me in a dangerous situation!!! I am still so angry and upset this is the way they handle their customers!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Dale of 32217, FL on

82 yr old Mom with AAA. They put her on hold for 10 min. while stranded in middle of horrible intersection. Never showed up. After we complained they will only give a 20.00 compensation at time of NEXT SIGN UP. A two person account. I WILL NEVER SIGN UP AGAIN! They should be shut down.

Linda of Bushkill, PA on

I recently needed a towing from Pennsylvania to NY. So I called AAA member service and I spoke to them and AAA told me after 15 days with the member plus I get 100 miles free. So I signed up after I explained to them my situation. My fiance takes a day off work because the member has to be available day of towing. So tow man comes here and tells him can't do it because of the inspection. I spoke to the supervisor, see if he can help, but no help! Now I can't get a refund after 30 days. Poor customer service. Too many nicks and cracks just to get a simple tow. So the tow truck guy said he will do the tow for $550. Seriously AAA wtf! Moral of this, stick with your insurance. They will treat you better at least.

Hello! of Anchorage, AK on

My friends and I went to a music festival in Delaware last summer and my best friend's car started smoking at around 11:30 as we were leaving. We called AAA and we're told that they "weren't picking up anyone from the festival that night". After my rather meek friend accepted this answer and hung up I proceeded to call them several more times - each time they refused to pick us up saying that the tow trucks were not available and/or that they didn't have one with enough seats to pick us up.

On the final call they told us that they would not be able to pick us up until around 9:00 the next morning (it was 4:00 AM at this point) and they left us stranded on the side of the highway until the state trooper they called came and picked us up - leaving our car on the side of the road with ALL of our stuff in it for the night while we spent from 4:30-6:30 falling asleep on the curb of a gas station while our other friend drove down from New Jersey to get us. TERRIBLE service.

Sheila of Ridley Park, PA on

I am writing today just to say that this company should be ashamed of themselves! Around noon today (March 25, 2017), my husband was driving behind a car that suddenly broke down. He, of course, got out of his vehicle to help. Thank goodness he did!! The elderly lady behind the wheel was nervous and shaken up. Another gentlemen also stopped and helped my husband push her car off to the side of the road.

Neither my husband nor the other gentleman wanted to leave this elderly woman alone and stranded, so they both stayed with her. After calling you, at 12:09 pm, and being told it would be 55 minutes before a tow truck would be able to arrive, my husband, as well as the other gentleman decided it would be best to wait with her and made sure she was taken care of.

Well, 55 minutes came and went. My husband called again at 1:38 pm and was told it would be another 35 minutes. At this point, my husband was starting to worry about the older woman, as she is 92 YEARS OLD and had been sitting in her car on this 85 degree day. As more time went by, they noticed this lovely woman was not doing very well and placed a 3rd call at 2:15 pm. Again, being told there would be an additional 35 minute wait!! Are you serious? The first call was made at 12:09 pm, for a 92 year old woman who was stranded on the side of the road and almost three hours later, she was still there!!!

Thank goodness my husband and another gentleman stayed with her and made sure nothing happened to her! Luckily, she was somewhere safe and secure with two strangers who were good, kind people! (I can't even imagine if she was alone or stranded somewhere else!) Deciding it would be best for her health, the other gentleman took the elderly woman home, while my husband secured her vehicle. He called again to let someone know that the vehicle would be left unattended, and surprise, an additional 35 minutes was added onto the wait time!

I think that was absolutely disgusting that a call was placed for a 92 year old woman in need of help and was continuously told she had to wait for hours and upon hours. 92 years old. You should be ashamed of yourselves! I hope that one day one of your grandparents never, ever need help or assistance and rely on this service! If they do, I hope there are compassionate and kind people who stop the help and make sure they stay safe! In the end, this wonderful woman called my husband at 4:24 pm and told him that her car was now at her closed mechanics shop. So, this 92 year old woman had to wait for four and a half hours for an emergency roadside call for help... That's just awful. Disgusting, if you ask me. AAA you truly dropped the ball today. Like I said, you should be truly ashamed of yourselves...

Nancy of Cincinnati, OH on

AAA told me that if I had my car towed to Bob Sumerel on Ridge Rd that they would be able to get back with me in an hr with an estimate and I would get 10% off so I let them tow it there. It took 3 hrs before they got back to me and I was told my fuel pump needed replaced. When they quoted me I found out the 10% discount was just on labor charges. When I got my car back the next day it was making a strange sort of vibrating noise now and then and so I took it back and they said it was the heat shield vibrating because one of the clamps was rusted and broke off so it wasn't secure. I'm not sure why nobody notified me of that before giving it back to me. It wasn't making the noise before it was brought in.

I took it into another place and was told 3 of the hangers/clamps were broke and needed welding. I feel that they got broke while it was being fixed since it never made the noise prior, even though they were rusted and maybe not their fault that they broke, Bob Sumerel should have told me about the problem. I feel that I was overcharged because I called the dealer and they would charge $50 less for the fuel pump than I was charged and an auto supply store charged $200 less for the same part. Also when the AAA person came out to try to get my car started during his troubleshooting he said that it wasn't the battery and it's not the fuel pump cause he heard it kick on when the ignition was turned so I can't help but feel that I was ripped off here and that I got bad customer service. I didn't know at the time that AAA owned Bob Sumerels and I feel that is why they told me incorrect info for me to get my car in and then was taken advantage of.

Susan of Fair Haven, VT on

I have been a member for 10 years plus. I have only used this service 4 times, and all 4 times, service was prompt about (20 minutes) and the company that was dispatched contacted me on their way to my location to let me know they were in route. This time, however, the service was terrible. I called AAA at 4:55 pm on Monday, March 13, 2017 for a flat tire change, and was on hold for 7 minutes before an agent answered. I was in Rutland, a small city, with several repair/tow service businesses within 5 minutes of my location. They said it would be 40 minutes, and gave me the name of the company that they were dispatching. After hanging up, I googled that company and found that they were 15 miles outside of the city. I called back (about 10 minutes after the first call) and informed the agent that there had to be multiple companies within 2 miles of where I was and that it would most likely be quicker for them to dispatch a more local business.

They agreed and again told me it would be 45 minutes and that someone would let me know when they were in route. I waited 40 minutes without hearing from them, so I called them back only to find out that the business they dispatched had called them back and said that they were unable to do the service. Now they are dispatching yet another company. Also, I was told that 40 minutes is an estimate and not a guarantee. I am not sure why the first company could not come, any driver should have been able to change the tire. Now, they are dispatching another company, and at this time the estimated time of arrival for service is yet another 45 minutes. This time I did receive a follow up call to let me know that they actually had a service person paged and responding, and I got a text that someone would be there by 6:45 pm. We are talking almost 2 hours from the original call in a city with at least 10 service stations nearby.

By that time, all of the area businesses are closing because it is now after 5 o'clock and it is about 15 outside. Finally, at 6:30 pm, a guy from a local company in a Blazer shows up and is able to do the service. AAA's customer service people were not very pleasant and I think that maybe they are not paying their contractors well, and many businesses no longer participate with AAA. This would explain their inability to get someone to me timely. Thinking I might not renew in April... disappointed.

Russell of Marion, IA on

AAA is without a doubt the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. Their agents for the most part are not knowledgeable of what they are selling and there is NO personal touch or human contact at all. Unless you call them and after about a 10 to 15 minute hold the person on the other end seem's very friendly. Of course by this time, I'm mad and not as pleasant as I should be. Sorry guys, but you got to get it together. AAA is great for discounts on other things. Just not insurance.

Stephen of Philadlephia, PA on

Never buy a AAA car battery. After being ripped off buying a AAA poor battery... Not only was it more expensive than batteries of the same type at all auto stores but it didn't even last out half the warranty, so, I had you guys come out and replace it last Feb. Yesterday, I went to Auto Zone with the AAA dead replacement battery, which was toast after a year and spent 150.00 on a good battery. When AAA was informed how dissatisfied I am, their response was, pretty much, "Thanks for your business."

Karen of Wilmington, DE on

I am interested in the prerequisites for a position with AAA, Wilmington, DE as a Member Experience rep - inability to read, no concern with an actual member issue, pattern of not returning phone calls? I almost thought you were a State Employee! This location has dropped the ball. Run, do not walk, away! I will NEVER again use this company. I would rather be stuck in the middle of the desert with scorpions and rattlers coming for me as I traversed the landscape looking for a service station than to use these folks.

Doug of Sparta, WI on

Moved from PA to WI 18 months ago. Tried numerous times to change address. AAA accepted address change, but kept me in PA section. Had to call 2-3 times to get it straightened out. I've kept WI account renewed since. PA tried to auto renew my PA acct last year, but I had a new card date, and I just ignored the attempts. This year they tried again and called me 3 times. Each time I told them I had moved and the PA account should not renew. This third call the rep lied when I asked if it was for the PA acct! I told him I'd go online and renew, and of course he said he'd do it for me, I refused. Went online line and as I suspected, my WI acct is up to date. They have the worst membership services organization.

Malinda of Cary, NC on

Customer service department personnel clearly need additional training in responsive, professional and courteous service. Conflicting/contradictory information provided in each call. Promised call backs did not occur. Staff member hung up on me. Failed to even attempt to reach an adequate resolution or adequately even understand the issue. Provided a resolution that was not requested or needed. Billing issue remains unresolved. Unresponsive/could care less.

Brandon of Anchorage, AK on

I called AAA on a Saturday at 7 pm. I am suppose to have the best coverage they offer which is the Premier RV. I called because I was at a movie theater and my battery was dead when I tried to leave. I just needed a jump start. They first told me they would be to me in two hours. I said no problem, they called back after a hour and said they can't get anyone to come. All the trucks are busy. I told them I would wait because I did not have any other way to jump start my vehicle. I explained to them I had no cash, and I was sitting in my car in the cold in the snow. They said "sorry we just talked to our companies and none of them have a truck powerful enough to jump start a vehicle."

That is a complete lie and everybody that has any sense knows that. Even the lady on the phone did not believe what she was telling me. Still they told me they could not help me and I was on my own. I had no money, no people I can call and I was left to leave my car and walk 10 miles home in the snow and in cold. AAA use to be a company you can trust but I am here to tell you that you cannot trust them in Anchorage Alaska to help you at all. AAA should be ashamed of themselves for what they did to me. I was completely lied to as a customer and left in snow and could have died because of AAA.

Mari of Riverside, CA on

I have been with AAA for over 8 years and never had a major issue with them. They are not perfect but very few corporate companies are. However, I will not be renewing our coverage with them. My battery was replaced by them in 2016. I had a warranty on it. A receipt was given to me however, I have not been able to locate the receipt for the battery replacement. The battery corroded in just a matter of 6 months. The acid ate right through my battery connector and I was stuck with no transportation late at night.

I had AAA come out, they sent a towing company. The driver admitted that the battery was bad but said it was under warranty. But he did not have any batteries in stock for my SUV. He said he had to order one and it would be in hopefully within a few days. I then called AAA a few days later and they ended up telling me that the year of my SUV is not covered for a battery replacement or warranty? They said they do not even show me in the system of ever having a battery replaced in 2016. Then they tell me that the battery cannot be replaced.

I then ask for a supervisor who tells me that she will honor the warranty. I explained that we cannot locate the receipt and I do not understand why I am not showing in the system of having the battery replaced by them in 2016. She did not have an answer but said for me to go and have the battery replaced with a 3rd party mechanic shop and send the receipt to her. She will then have us reimbursed for the battery. Something told me that this would not go as planned but I trusted her and did what she said. She even said she would have it expedited so we can receive our refund quickly since money is very tight for us. We are on a fixed income in my family household.

I had the battery replaced and sent in the receipt for the battery replacement right away and waited two weeks. I then called to find out the status. There were no notes showing that they had received my documents but they said they will have someone call me back on the status. I then receive a call that same day from a representative who then tells me that they need the actual receipt from 2016 when the battery was installed?! Big surprise, I knew that would come back into the equation. I explained the same story over again and let him know that the manager already said she would reimburse us even though we cannot find the receipt. He then said that the receipt is actually required since we are not showing in the system for some reason? I then tried calling the tow company but they could not locate anything for some reason as well?

After numerous calls and speaking to another supervisor since the previous one does not seem to be available, I was told there was nothing more that can be done. The most recent supervisor then tells me that because it is a different department handling the refund, they are requesting the actual receipt from 2016. That is a sad excuse to offer. At that point, I gave up and just decided to not renew my account with AAA. I already found another company who offer the same benefits and features.

It's upsetting that my information is missing from their system in 2016 for the battery replacement and then be told that my 2005 SUV is not covered for that year. It makes me think that something was not processed properly and someone messed up somewhere. I think it is odd that the information is missing from their system. And I now have to suffer financially for it. The only thing that brings me peace of mind is that I received a new battery from a reputable company who guarantees their battery. AAA would have just used another battery with the same company that gave me the battery before and that also damaged my SUV. Yet, AAA does not care that this happened. I am just another number and of no importance to them. Thank you for nothing AAA.

Nicki of Reisterstown, MD on

I cancelled my membership after having AAA for 19 years because I've only used their towing service 2 times. I now own 2 reliable vehicles and only work 6 miles from home. I do not need their service. The renewal department in Philadelphia, PA will not stop calling me. I have asked for them not to call me numerous times. They claim that they have no record of this. I've blocked multiple numbers from them, but they keep calling from different lines. This is harassment and should be illegal.

Dan of Overbrook, KS on

I was a member of AAA for well over 30 years. Sometime off and on because of military service and being stationed in foreign countries. Until last year I was a member for over 15 years straight, using the service once during that time. When they increased the annual fees to the point I thought it was not worth the cost considering I had paid them over $1000 in the past 15 years for one tow. Last year I cancelled. Today I reviewed a promotional offering a year's coverage for $57 with a promotion code. I call to sign up if next year's fees was not too much... It was not. I gave all my information to the lady I was talking to. She then asked me the number of miles I drive per day on average. Being retired it works out to be about 7 miles per day. She then explained AAA would tow me to the nearest AAA facility for free OR to the nearest location of my choice as long as it was within five miles of where I break down. After that the charge is $5 per mile.

Then she offered me the "150" mile plan for a little over $110. I said, "You must be kidding" and hung up. I would not have minded however nowhere in the documents I received did it say what was exactly covered for the $57. As I recall in the past I would receive similar promotional material, however the different plans and their costs were clearly described. I guess they think we cannot make decisions on our own and must be duped to join. As with the reviews I have read out of the over 700 posted here, AAA is nowhere close to being the company that it was in the past. Even if I thought the higher price was worth the service I am very glad I read these reviews! It sounds like even if the service was FREE it is not worth the hassle to be a member.

Karen of Homestaed, FL on

These people are so horrible and incompetent. I had a flat and called and they said I had to wait an hour, which is a long time to wait for a flat change. After an hour and no contact I called the company and had to wait for 20 minutes on the phone to finally get someone who actually gave a damn. The first person I spoke with said he just answers phones, the second argued with me that they didn't tell me an hour, I guess I made that up. He said they said it was a "projected time". No the person said an hour - period. Then they kept calling me back and telling me it was longer and longer and longer and 2 and half hours later, still no one. Who the hell pays for roadside assistance and gets an over 2 and half hour wait for that money? What the hell is that?! What a great opportunity for a company to open and do this right and put these bozos out of business.

Lazarus of Lansing, MI on

Not even the bare minimum in assistance for RV Plus membership. I have a small truck which was disabled within the constraints of my property and called AAA. Since I am mechanically inclined and have an equipped garage simply requested to have some assistance in order to move the vehicle (a small truck) inside the garage. The agent on the phone then stated that they could only send assistance to move my vehicle to a repair facility, but not provide the minimum assistance to move it into my own garage (a much faster and simpler proposition); that is truly the most obnoxious and absurd argument -- or lack thereof -- that I have ever heard. One could only imagine that they are corroborating with repair facilities to extort money from consumers whose membership and promise of service were nothing but a panacea at best and a fraud scheme at worse.

Laura of Westbrook, ME on

I purchased AAA for my children for Christmas. There has been 2 occasions that they needed a tow truck. It was snowing on both days and they were stuck both times. BOTH times they were told they will not tow them because they are too busy! I said this was unacceptable and I wanted to file a complaint. The response by Sam was - she would let someone know. I pay for a service and they do not provide a service. I am extremely disappointed that they will need to sleep in a cold truck all night long because AAA refuses to send a tow truck for a day!

ernesto of Tucson, AZ on

I work at Big O tire on valencia. DORTHY ** brought her car in because it would not start. We ran a charging system test found out the battery was bad. Dorthy said it was under warranty thru AAA Service. She said she would call them on tuesday 2/7/2017, did not show up till thursday 2/9/2017 about 4 pm. She call me that they had not called her back. I told her the guy had left around 4:30 and it was done. ARRON did not contact her. She needed her car we then went to pick her up at her home.

She should have gotten better service from ARRON. He then wanted a read out on the test we did. I had a customer I was taking care of keep ask for a copy of the test. I told him I would get him a copy when I was done with my customer. He then parked his van in front of my door blocking traffic. I told him to park in a parking spot had an attitude that I told him to move it. He then calls my corp. office to complain that I did not have a print out for him and had to wait. He needed to take care of your customer instead of worried about a print out that he should have done himself.

Deborah of Arabi, LA on
Consumer Increased Rating!

I thought that I closed my account with AAA and when I saw the automatic charge on my credit card and called to request it removed, they refused to remove the charge. It was 1 month after the charge (since I didn't see it until time to pay my credit card). It seems like a good reputable company would prorate any service not used. This was a terrible experience and they cheated me. They only hurt themselves because I've used them off and on and purchased this for our son for a birthday gift but he didn't want me to renew his membership. I had no idea I was on automatic renewal. I will never use their service again.

Greg of River Falls, WI on

I have had service done on my vehicles several times and trusted AAA because of their name. Last time in to have oil change said I needed new brakes and rotors on car. ($500 for front, $450 for rear.) Said radiator bad. $400. Said power steering unit leaking needed to replace $800. Valve cover gaskets leaking $100. Now I wonder if I needed front brakes done and I had synthetic oil put in on the oil change and wonder if it was synthetic for $67.

Wow, said I couldn't afford all that said I should do front brakes immediately, so I did for $565, said I'd have to wait for rest. Called another repair shop close by asked how much for rear brakes, $100 dollars less than AAA. Went there,( Greenway auto) to do rear brakes, told them about everything else, said they would check out. Called a while later said rear brakes check out at 7mm. (new 10mm) said they are fine. Checked power steering, fine, little oil or grease around it but normal. Pressure tested radiator no leaks, a little low on antifreeze, but could have been intentionally lowered by AAA. (A quess.) According to Greenway auto I was being lied to about everything that needed to be done. Close to $3000 at AAA. Will never step foot in AAA again! AAA 15439 n 40th st Phoenix Az.

Meghann of Tujunga, CA on

The tow truck driver was very kind and helpful. This complaint is not about him. It is about the service I received from AAA. My car was towed earlier today from my breakdown location to a mechanic shop. However, where the tow truck driver parked it, it was inaccessible to the mechanic shop. I called to see if they could get the tow truck to move it and waive the service so it would not count as one of my tows, and the AAA representative refused to allow that.

I feel that this is absolutely the most unprofessional way to handle the situation. It was obviously not my fault where the tow truck put the car, he should have known to put it in a place that was accessible to the mechanic if he was dropping it off for the mechanic. The fact that it was not put in an accessible place should be enough to get a complimentary tow order to correct the mistake. The whole point of getting the car towed to the place it was, was so that the mechanic could get to it. I am very unhappy with the way this was handled. I've been a member for 37 years and I am this close to canceling my membership.

Linda of Manteca, CA on

I have the top Roadside Service thru AAA and it is not cheap! I very rarely have to use the service but had a flat tire when I got in from a out of town air flight Saturday night, 11:12 pm. I called for a tow assistance and was told it would be 1 to 1.5 hrs and that I would receive updates. No updates till I called them back 11:59 PM and then was told they are on their way and I should expect arrival 12:30 AM. Palace Garage Tow showed up and wanted me to DRIVE my car out of the lot as he did not want to damage his new $10,000.00 rig. I refused but did back it out of the parking stall for him. He was rude, putting it mildly. The companies they hire are not very reputable companies and this is not the 1st time I had issues. Length of time to wait is unexcusable, especially for a woman by herself.

Brendon of Cincinnati, OH on

I'm the son of a 75 year old woman who has had AAA for over twenty years. Her car wouldn't start a few months ago so she called AAA. The gentleman came out and told her she needed a new battery which she bought from AAAs onsite battery service. The car wouldn't start three days later, yet a rapid clicking could be heard. I know what this means. It means the solenoid doesn't have enough power from the battery to start the car. When the battery tech from AAA arrived he recharged the battery, tested it and said it was fine. Two days after, car won't start, same symptoms. Tech comes out, same result. This time the tech says its possible that the battery post is loose or not connected properly. Recharged the battery, got the car started, left. Third visit, tech arrives, blames the problem on a possible interior light or some other power draw from the car draining the battery, recharge, left. Seeing a pattern here?

Now, a week later, after my mother has specifically started her car every day, the car is dead, a rapid clicking is heard upon attempting to start it. My mother called AAA customer service and spoke with a gentlemen by the name of Kevin who informed her all he could do was send out a tech to test the battery. That's all they can do, and if it tests ok they will have to charge her for the visit because all of her entitled benefits have been used up. All of her entitled benefits have been used up with visits concerning this one battery! I know for a fact that if a tech comes out he will find an excuse not to replace the battery. My mother just wants a refund of her money that she paid for the battery.

Through what became a heated discussion, my 75 year old mother on the verge of frustrated tears, Kevin told her he would not connect her with anyone else or a supervisor after she asked repeatedly. She asked at least 5 times and at every turn he refused.My mother just wants her money back from the faulty battery and to be done with AAA. I cannot believe, coming from a customer service background, that a company would fight this hard to keep an old ladies money. Money for a product that doesn't work. At this point she doesn't even care about the money, she has to find roadside assistance elsewhere, because even if she chose to keep AAA this fiasco has left her without any benefits from the service until February. She feels, and I feel, betrayed by a company that I trusted. If anyone from the organization cares about the perception of your company and how it treats its customers please reach out to me at **.

Christa of Paulsboro, NJ on

After speaking with a representative and being informed that I could receive a refund for towing and hadn't received same in a timely manner another call was made. After forwarding the original Bill and other info requested I received a call that my case was being processed. However to date have not received the aforementioned. Referenced person Liz.

Expert Review

Lauren FixAuto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.    More about Lauren→

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.
  • Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.
  • Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.
  • A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.
  • Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.
  • International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.
  • Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.
  • Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.
  • Best for AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Compare Roadside Assistance Services