AAA - American Automobile Association
  • 1 star
Based on 183 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AAA - American Automobile Association

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 15, 2017

907 AAA - American Automobile Association Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Dead battery, called AAA. Wait time of at 10 minutes each time I had to call. I was in Oshkosh WI on the main street with 2 small children. Initial wait time of 40 minutes was given. This was a 5:45 in the evening. I said that was unacceptable and asked for it to be expedited. About 20 minutes later I got a call saying the tow service with be another 40 minutes. Again said it was unacceptable and asked for the call to be expedited. After waiting about an hour & 15 minutes I called AAA again. Went through the menus and wait on hold for at 10 minutes. They checked on the company they called for a tow and said my call had been cancelled and it would be another 40 minutes.

I asked AAA to call me back and check with me that the tow services was really coming and they refused. In all I waited 2 hours and 15 minutes for the tow service to jump start my car. The only words the guy spoke to me was "I need to see your AAA card". I had a 3 & 4 year old crying because they were cold. I called AAA the next day and spoke to customer service. Everyone is very sorry, don't understand what went wrong. Turns out for the Oshkosh WI area they have contracts with 2 service companies. This is a metro area of over 50,000 plus outlying areas. The service they called for me was 15 minutes away.

I checked on my phone and there was 2 24 hour services one a mile from my location the other 2 miles. Long story short, I don't know why I would ever pay AAA again when I can do this better myself. AAA customer service said they would credit me with a year extension, but not the associate on my plan because they weren't inconvenienced. I told them they don't have a service worth paying for.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

In the past two months, two members of my family and tonight myself were abandon by AAA for over five hours waiting on a tow truck and getting excuses from so called customer services reps. This company is obsolete and now is just stealing money and cheating customers of service. Worst, they are placing people in danger during emergency situations.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I used to be with AAA years ago and thought they were the best of the best for roadside assistance. But it wasn't until I joined MCA (Motor Club of America) that my eyes were opened. I have an older car and I had to get my car towed on several different occasions within this year alone. I called MCA and they sent someone out to help me right away! Having unlimited towing up to 100 miles has really been a blessing to me during times of trouble! They have no cap like AAA does.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I'm reaching out to anyone with a similar experience. Recently I discovered a letter in my mail from the DMV indicating my drivers license would be suspended because a vehicle in my name was involved in an accident and didn't have liability insurance. OK here's what I know for sure after speaking with DMV: The accident happened approx 150 miles from my home at around midnight in Los Angeles. While the motorcycle in question somehow shares all the same information as a motorcycle I own (i.e. plate, VIN) the make of the motorcycles are completely different. We're talking dirt bike and a Harley. I (a retired vet) was not riding, nor was my "dirt bike" that is also apparently a "Harley" out of my garage, 150+ miles from the accident.

So here's my problem and where I smell a scam. Tripple A can has access to DMV records. From what I'm gathering is AAA can take partial plate information and then go from there. I came home to a letter and now have to request a hearing and will probably have to drive 300+ miles to a courthouse in Van Nuys because AAA forwarded my information to the DMV... The worst part is the information wasn't correct. If the DMV even looked (which they admitted they don't investigate any of the AAA claims) they would have noticed the make/model of the bike was incorrect and forced AAA to verify their information. As is, they can pull up any plate they want and send it to the DMV. Why would this benefit anyone? I'm not 100% sure but shortly after speaking with the DMV, I get a call from a collection service on behalf of AAA for $1100.00

So, I've had several DMV workers confirm this shady company (AAA) was constantly filing bogus or "with error" claims to the DMV who just turns a blind eye and sends out a letter which adds validity to the bogus letter coming from the claims service center (acting on behalf of AAA)... Right? Anyone else fall into this and had to buy your way out or got to hearing? I'm dead serious in that I was living my life where I live and a giant hand came out of the sky and said "Tag! You're it" One last bit about me is I held a high clearance for many years and a mark on my record, unsubstantiated or not will take extra explaining.

I just want to know if I'm just "that guy" or if other people have been victimized by this apparent AAA scam. It's crazy to think AAA can pull up any plate, get your info and report you to the DMV. The DMV will just throw its weight behind the claim and suspend your license, unless you prove you had insurance, or request a hearing or pay a fine. Crazy to think anyone can become Triple A victim!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

My battery was dead on a cold night in September. I called AAA and was told we used all of our calls and that the service for charging the battery was going to be close to $80.00. I told them that this was ridiculous and I would figure it out on my own. I thought my son had used the calls. A near stranger went out of his way to help me. The fact is I was stuck in a parking lot with 3 girls in my car waiting for this NICE man to help me. He had to go home to get his cables. It turns out I HAD ALL OF MY SERVICE LEFT and that the lady on the phone had made a mistake.

I put in a complaint with AAA. Every time I called back afterwards...I was put on hold and passed around for an hour at a time. There was only an apology in a letter. No effort for compensation for my trouble. No, "we apologize...we will give a discount for next year." There was none of that. I paid for a year service and got nothing but stuck outside when I needed them. The 1 time I called...they failed me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I joined AAA elite for $118.00. My Audi Q5 engine seized in Boston and I had a local garage look at it. I took the bus back to my home in NH. The local garage couldn't fix it. I called AAA to tow the car back to NH. It is a 97 mile tow and the elite AAA claims to have a free tow of 200 miles. This is not the case. I needed to be with the car, which would require a bus fare back to Boston, and pay mileage on the tow IF they chose to approve it. I also needed to take the bus back to NH, I couldn't ride in the truck. "It's a long tow, you need to pay the driver."

I also had joined AAA 3 days prior and needed to wait a 1-2 week waiting period before they would review it. I was on hold for over an hour and the claim agent insisted the case number I was given was non existent. Absolutely appalling customer service and agents are trained to say "NO," instead of "How can I help you in your time of need?" When I asked to cancel, the response was "No Problem, I'll send you over to CS," that took another 30 minutes and when I asked for the confirmation number of my cancellation, I was told "we don't give them, or your application fee of $14.95 back, You should see a credit in a week or two. "DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. IT'S A SCAM!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

AAA said 1.5 hours. The company they sent, El Camino Towing from Rosharon, said they were late for traffic. Two hours later, they told us they were dropping off another car first. Three hours later they still weren’t here. We called at 5:30 pm when it was still light. By 9:30; it was dark and we could see coyotes running around. It was too late to call anyone else or walk 2 miles to a hotel. This negligence in making us believe a tow truck was coming sooner put our lives in danger. Awful; after 23 years, we are cancelling AAA.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Called for assistance @ 230 pm, and told qoils arrive at 4 pm. Never received a call nor text, although I gave instructions to do both for updates. Called back at 4 pm. Was told a called was made to me stating I had been informed there was an additional 45 minute wait. Bold face lie!! Never received an update. At the time of this writing, still waiting for tow.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Partner called with broke down VW at 3:15 pm, 5 calls later a tow company 1 hour away will respond... totally unacceptable. Told 7 local firms declined to do tow... response time of 3 hours. Again why pay for horrible service. Been a member since 1980... just upped level to Premiere. Will have to seriously reconsider continuing being an AAA Member.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I got a flat tire yesterday at 7:45am on a major interstate in Atlanta. Highway 285. Anyone who is familiar with ATL knows this is one of the worst highways regarding traffic during morning rush hour. However, I was able to pull off an exit into a safe parking lot of a restaurant. I called AAA at 7:45am and after going through the automated system and waiting on hold for forever. By the time I got off the phone it was then 8:30am. I was told someone could be there by 9:45am. 9:45am comes and goes and no one showed up or called so I call back and ask where a technician is and AAA tells me someone will be there by 10:30am. I say "but someone was supposed to be here already at 9:45am." AAA then rudely tells me "No I just said 10:30am. No one said 9:45am." And then she just hung up on me.

Luckily, I had already told my boyfriend about the situation and he took off from work, drove 30 minutes out of the way to come and change my tire. A technician/service contractor NEVER called me so I would have just been sitting out there all day calling AAA begging for someone to do their job. Even if they showed up by 10:30am (which they didn’t!). It is ridiculous to have to wait 3+ hours for a service I pay yearly to show respect and do their job. Needless to say, I will be canceling AAA. They do not value their customers money, time or safety.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My experience with Mona ** is excellent. She is where helpful to me... I can only say thank you for the professional courtesy. Your words of encouragement have done much to calm my nerves. I appreciate your continued interest in and guidance for my case. Thank you MONA **.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I renewed my subscription and 2 days later changed my mind. Well, I called to cancel and they don’t cancel, OR refund. First call, they told me “they don’t refund”. But would have someone call me back... 10 days later... Second call, they assured me that “they DO refund money” but they were member retention and NOT Member services and that someone would call me back. 10 days later... Third call, back to the old “we don’t refund”. Because it is passed the 10 day buyers remorse timeframe. (But if they didn’t drop the call for 20 days it wouldn’t be.) Oh. And then it changed to “only new customers can cancel” so your only option is to remain a customer. I found out that my insurance company offers the same coverage and it costs me $3.00 a month.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My SUV battery died, was a AAA member, called them and they sold me their best battery - $175 worth, has a 3 yr warranty. I had it 1 yr. 3 mos. and it died - bad cell. I called AAA, they sent out a company that tested it. They told me it was too dead to test. He was at my house 1.5 hrs. trying to charge it as my car was running the entire time. He tested it again; said it was basically inconclusive. He took the battery out of the car, told me to buy a charger and charge it to max, call AAA back to test it again.

In the meantime, I talked to a couple ppl who said to take battery to NAPA and have it tested, so I did. I got a print out that said 'bad cell'. I called AAA back, they said because the guy took the battery out of the vehicle the warranty was VOID. WHAT? But it was their people who took out the battery! The guy at AAA told me that information was not recorded in the notes and that the battery tested good... I asked him to send the same company back out to my house because he said the battery was not charged enough for an accurate test and took it out! AAA said it was going to be a cash charge. The guy came back out; said he didn't know that the warranty was void by taking the battery out. I showed him the ticket that the battery has a dead cell. He wouldn't accept that - said it was not his test. Bottom line - AAA does not warranty their batteries!!! I will never have AAA again and will do my best to tell everyone I know about this experience.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My car broke down on the highway 50 Orlando. Called AAA and they said estimated 1 hour and 30 minutes before they come. The lady answer the phone keep on and off so many times. I end up find the local company and paid them. I have AAA Plus which over $100 a year. It bad experience. Not renew again this year.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I cancelled my Triple A policy due to the fact they raised my annual rate by 1000 dollars and I'm a good clean driver with no accidents, claims or tickets! They had already drafted my payment the day before I cancelled. I've been in the phone with several different people and just keep being told it'll be returned to me by check form and within the last 48 hours nobody has even touched my account to start this process. I'm told I may have to wait 1-2 weeks to receive my refund! This has been a huge problem for me since this payment shouldn't have posted to begin with and overdrew my bank account.

I've asked for them to expedite the process of either overnight or 2nd day and was told they're unable to do that. I also asked why they just cannot issue the refund to the card it was taken off of! I was told then because it wasn't the same business day! After this horrible experience of just trying to get my money back I would never recommend this company to anyone at all. You cannot speak to anyone other than customer service. I asked several times to speak to someone in accounts department and of upper management and was told they don't deal with customers! It's so sad that a big company can be no caring and trying to rectify the problem a little faster! By far the worst I've ever had to deal with!!!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Had a flat tire and requested road service after 10 pm. Waited 90 mins for service. Road service guy arrived, changed tire with my spare. I drove off but the car felt as if I had another flat tire. Pulled over to next exit and when I looked I only had 1 bolt holding the tire to the rim. Another road service call; another long wait. Second service guy finds that the tire is connect with only 1 bolt! Other stems are bent and/or broken off. He took off 2 bolts from other tires so he can tow car onto rack. I had to call AAA road service again to tow the car to my mechanic.

This is call #3 in 2 days. Called AAA the next day to file complaint and process for repairs. Was told must be called back to start the process and I won't be called for 7-10 business days!! On day 11, I called AAA and was told by Membership Experience that they have been too busy to call me back. Then proceeded to tell me that a Damage Specialist will call back in 2 business days. Damage Specialist will determine damage and determine fault. So now, we are out of a car for almost 3 weeks. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Can't seem to escalate complaint because there's no manager or higher that I can speak to. "They don't talk to customers". And if I write to the Regional Manager, the complaint gets routed back to Membership Experience.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have noticed lately that calling AAA has gotten worse in the past few years. When a person needs a tow they really don't want to be hassled or argued with. The experience that I had tonight with AAA was unbelievable. The woman that answered my call for my husband being broke down on the way with 1% cell battery was the most unprofessional that I think I've ever dealt with.

At the start of the call I explained that my husband didn't have a cell so I was calling in for him. She took over 10 minutes to look up the account and tell me that she couldnt find me or him - after being 9 year members... Whatever it was that she was doing wrong she finally said that she could dispatch a tow truck- 14 minutes into the call.

She was saying "oh my god" and sighing real loud when finally I told her that I didn't need her to be giving me a hard time! Long story short, she put me on hold and someone else pick up who played dumb and I had to start all over again with my member number. Unbelievable! AAA is not what it used to be. We will be shopping for a new roadside assistance company.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

We have been with AAA for 30 or more years, most of the time needed jump start battery, flat tires etc. Until this year when we needed to get the car towed to the dealer at about 15-20 miles away, called AAA and flatbed was sent, driver would not drop the car off at the dealer but insisted that I follow him with another car. At the final drop off point the towing driver wanted to get paid either cash or check, needless to say, I did not have enough cash to pay, he followed me to the bank to get the cash. AAA never informed us that Towing companies contracted by AAA do not accept credit or debit cards. We will never sign up for membership anymore. It is more expensive than it is worth it. Our insurance company offer same benefits for fraction of AAA membership.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

AAA RECEIVES DDD. AAA is slipping. Poor communication between call-in agent and dispatch; grossly inaccurate ETA on arrival of help to unlock our vehicle (waited extra hour alone in secluded area with small child); and contracted vendor(s) (why was the closest service provider 3 cities away?) who said AAA didn't send them the proper paperwork and tried to charge me extra $50 are the reasons for 2 stars and near failing grade.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I contacted AAA for a routine roadside change of a flat tire. I have the Gold Plus membership. When the agent for AAA showed up he did not change the tire but inserted a plug, without informing me that there would be a charge. Before he did this I explained to him that I had a warranty on the tires from Walmart. If I had known that there was a charge I would have insisted on the tire change only, and taken the tire to Walmart for free repair.

When I explained the situation to AAA customer service I got the "typical run-around," "We don't cover this service, you will have to take your complaint to the vendor that performed the service." I did not contact the vendor, I contacted AAA, and AAA needs to be responsible for the conduct of its vendors. Apparently AAA does not agree. My conclusion, AAA cannot be trusted!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

After being a member for the past 10 years, that membership could be coming to a close. October 21, 2017 my car developed a flat tire. After getting it off of the street and in a safe place I proceeded to contact AAA of Arizona. After 45 minutes of being told how busy they were and maybe I should call back at another time. Remember this is a flat tire and I am not going anywhere. After I getting a person on the phone and describing the situation I was advised that someone would be there within the hour. After no one came I called in again. Yep another 30 minutes being told how busy they were and I should call back later I was able to talk to a person.

This person told me no one would be coming for one to two hours. I advised her of what the previous person said. She put me on hold and returned 20 minutes later to confirm one to two hours would be the soonest anyone would be there. This is for a flat tire change and I am off the road in a safe place. What would this look like if I was along the highway somewhere. I can only surmise AAA is trying to go out of business and I am will to assist them by canceling all my insurance and roadside service membership. While one customer has very little effect on a business, one customer letting other customers know what to expect may make a difference.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

AAA canceled our Car + Home insurance after we paid in full for the year. AAA said it was #1) - because they did not get photos on time, they never showed up after three appointments. Then it was #2) - our bathrooms had special flooring (vinyl). Then it was #3) - patio cover (lattice). Then it was #4) - fireplace, which they knew about since day one. Then it was #5) - we have a flat roof (only over the garage). Then it was #6) We need a concrete tile roof, for the discount rate. We received a check today in the mail saying we were canceled, no reason, no 30-day notice, nada, nothing. WTfrick is their problem. My family and friends are going to hear about this and dump AAA.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I use to be a member with AAA for 30 years our family used them. Then they just started leaving me out on the road to fend for myself. Now I've been hit and the person who hit me has AAA auto insured and they are really being ** about getting me paid. Piss poor company with piss poor help. Better hope you don't get Ryan **. He ain't much help at all.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I took my 2011 Jetta to Auto Solutions in Mesquite Texas recommended by AAA. Once taking it Dustin stated they wanted to inspect the car to make sure they would be repairing the correct issue. I get a call and all of sudden they notice an oil leak. I have never had an oil leak on car since owning it and explained that. He stated they didn't want it to get too bad and recommend the oil gasket be replaced before creating a better problem along with the control arms. I allowed the repairs to be done since AAA stood behind company. After, getting the car back notice it has an oil leak. I called and explained before I didn't see any oil now I do. The guy stated to bring it back and they stated it was oil gasket in which it could be because the pan. I took it back for the repair and this time was told to place a cardboard box under the car to watch.

The oil was still leaking and emailed AAA several times for help. Once doing that I waited over a week and no response from AAA after several attempts. I called the 800 number and was told my email got lost in translation. I was told someone would call me back in two days. Well after two days no one called and called them back. I was able to speak with a gentleman that placed the report in but again had to wait for someone to contact me back. Again not called back and I called and requested the person's name that would be handling the issue. It was explained the guy's name was Milton. I was given his direct number and he didn't contact me. He called the shop. They then explain bring the car back and please if there is a continuing issue allow them to take care of it without the involvement basically of AAA. I also spoke with Milton and was told if this repair didn't go right call him back and he would personally assist the guys by looking at the Jetta.

I got the car back and guess what small drops of oil and the company saying it was something else creating the leak. It was the vacuum hose and they sealed the issue. I tried call Milton back and I got his voice mail leaving a message how I was happy they sealed anything because it didn't care of the problem. They also was quick to tell me the issue of an oil leak and not wanting to get worse but actually created one and wanted to seal it. I never got a call back from him either. The car was fine before they touched it besides the issue I took it there for. I do not trust mechanics because every time a car is taken to them it's about the money not the principle of taking care of the customer.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

AAA just sent me a renewal after I let my account lapse because I have a new car and didn't feel I needed another expense that would probably go unused. They gave a promotion from 82 to 52 for the year. When I typed in the special code they provided me with the cost still came up as 82. I called to have them explain this to me. The 52 promotion ONLY covers the basic coverage which means they will only tow up to 3 miles vs the AAA plus which tows up to 100 miles. This is false advertising, plain and simple. Needless to say I declined to renew. Too many companies are getting away with this type of thing these days and it needs to stop!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Something is not right here. I've had AAA for 20 plus years. I waited on a major street for almost 2 hours broken down. Requested battery service and even my hazards turned off so I was in the complete dark on a major street for two hours. They said they escalated my call but extended my wait an additional half hour. Kicker is they didn't send a truck with battery service. I called, logged a complaint and they said they won't count this as a service request however I still question why I pay for this service for such a poor response. People were rude except for the tow driver and the person taking complaint. Based on other reviews this is common place and something is wrong.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I've been a AAA member since 2000. I have Premier membership and have used my membership all these years for 2 tows and 1 KEY opening. This morning my kids father broke down on a busy highway with my kids in the car. I called AAA for a tow at 8:00 am and we were told 60 minutes so I went & picked my kids up as it's 90 degrees out. It is now 1:00 pm and a tow truck is still not there. We've called 3 times and each time we're told 10 minutes. The ETA is now 1:20 pm which is a total of 5 hours 20 minutes. I will not be counting on AAA anymore.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have the RV AAA. Well I lost my key so called AAA for help about 4:00 pm Friday. It took them 45 mins to pick up the phone. I told them what happen. So they said they would call a locksmith. So I waited 15 mins and AAA called me back and said they called two locksmiths and I had to wait till Monday because nobody else was open. I told them I was 75 miles away from home in a very bad part of city (The Hood). And I ask could they tow my pickup truck they said no and hung up on me. I called a locksmith myself and 20 mins later he was there. 20 more mins I was on my way home safe. AAA you can kiss my **.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

My wife and I waited 6 HOURS on the side of the road after a collision and calling AAA for a tow. We called AAA every 45 minutes for 6 HOURS before the tow truck arrived at 8:00 at night. Each time we called AAA asking where was the tow truck, they gave us the same answer, "It will be there in 20 minutes." We are finished with AAA.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have never had so many problems renewing a membership. Tried to do it online. Couldn't do that because I was taking my daughter off as she married and had her own membership. Can't remove someone online. Have to call their 800 number. Over a thirty minute wait to speak with someone. Had to try twice as I had to hang up the first time as my lunch was over. The second time I was at home and after 45 minutes, I had a live representative. What a nightmare. After going rounds with these people, I finally cancelled my membership due to the total incompetence of the customer service rep. It's a good product but heaven help you if you need anything besides calling for assistance.

AAA expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

• Best for: AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information