1.22/5

AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

1133 AAA - American Automobile Association Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

AAA has fantastic benefits. Roadside assistance is NOT one of them. They lied to me about my wait time in 91 degree weather. My car overheated and I was stranded on the side of the interstate for an hour waiting on their tow service and then when I Called to check on the 45 min- 1 hour wait time I was promised, they told me I wasn’t given a time and that it was going to be yet ANOTHER HOUR!!! They refused to give my money back for the membership so they Mr only left me stranded in the heat, but they stole my money as far as I’m concerned. Every time I have called them since 2008 (my membership is that old) they have gotten worse and worse and the wait times have been longer and longer. They can’t keep up with the level of membership they have then they don’t need to sell them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

So this is my 2nd time around with AAA. My first was excellent BUT little did I know, they did some SLICK marketing and did some COST saving analysis. SO I broke down and thought I would join them on my cell phone app...which I did...and I paid the annual free (SAME DAY). I next call them to get a tow, I get a person on the other side asking me which AAA I would like to be towed to, I said, "No thank you. I have another place." She then said which place within a 5 mile radius. I said, "HUH? I just paid to be a premier member or whatever." She said, "OH SORRY. There is a 7 DAY GRACE PERIOD BEFORE THAT KICKS in. After the 5 miles you will be charged???" I said, "WHAT??? YOU TOOK MY FUNDS OUT OF MY BANK TODAY!!! Not 7 days from now..."

SO the moral of the story...in the TINY FINE print there may be a clause about the waiting PERIOD but that is a joke. AAA knows most people need a TOW on the 1st day they JOIN. They also know you will probably need FOLLOW UP tows within a WEEK'S time...so NOW they have cleverly figured out a way to make MORE $$$...what a JOKE.

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have had AAA for 15 years and have had terrible experiences with them so many times I cannot count them. Three hour waits, no tire change, never showing up, etc. The latest, call to cancel the order for future and was told it was processed. Received credit card bill after I was sent an email to confirm cancellation of autopay. This business should be OUT OF BUSINESS! I spend 115 mins (yes hour and a half) on phone trying to get this corrected listening to music and being told no and no. AAA you are terrible and anyone who I come across the rest of my life I will tell them how terrible your business is - forever!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We recently moved and forgot to notify AAA. I didn’t realize that our membership had expired since April. I called to renew my membership but had to verify tons of information that I have forgotten already. It’s like being interrogated for a crime. Finally after an hour of interrogation, I was “allowed” to update my account such as new address and phone numbers. After that I ask a renew notice to be sent as I do not want to give out my credit card or check number on the phone, then I am told I have to go to a AAA office to pay for that. At this point, I simply hanged up. I have not experienced a membership as tedious and frustrating as theirs. So, goodbye AAA. No wonder old customers are leaving you.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

An older lady that was insured with AAA forced me onto a curb at 30 mph because she pulled out front of me and across 5 lanes of traffic. When I hit the curb I had substantial damage to the under part of my vehicle. Then she proceeded to drive away because she had absolutely no idea that she even caused me to have an accident. I had to chase this woman a block-and-a-half to her house. It took almost a month for them to finally tell me that she spoke to them and denied anything even happened.

So because she was senile and couldn't remember even speaking to me... they decided that I was telling a lie, even though I provided specific facts regarding my claim. The lady even gave me her insurance card. They decided to tell me via email so they didn't have to call me. They did receive an interesting email from me and return. I was told if I came up with any witnesses they would reopen the claim. Gee... do you think witnesses chase people a block-and-a-half down a residential street just to provide their witness testimony? I doubt it! They can shove it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

On 9/4/18, I called AAA Mid Atlantic to have them assist me with my dead battery. The operator came after an hour. When he was not able to jump my car, he informed us that he needed to replace my battery. He was not trained or equipped to do this. The operator damaged the positive terminal and also the battery assembly by pulling on the battery. My car had to be towed and the repairs cost me $919 dollars. I submitted a claim. The Claims Rep informed me that it was my fault for the damage because the battery was corroded. After over 20 years as a customer, this is how I am treated by blaming the customer for your operator’s lack of skill. I was promised return calls and emails, but they never did it. I think that a star is generous. Save your money and never give it to AAA. If you do, prepare to open your wallet to pay for the damages that they will do to my car.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I called to get a tow because my car got flooded in Brooksville. I let them know what type of truck I needed and what to bring because my vehicle is lowered. So I wait my hour for the tow. Exactly an hour I get a call from AAA, telling me that they can't tow my vehicle per policy. I called ** and explained they have done it before and the lady proceeded to argue with me. She put me through to a sup. I explained the situation. Explained that they have towed my vehicle before without issue, hell I even took my front bumper off to reduce damage to my vehicle. So he puts the order back in and now I'm still waiting. 3 hours later for a ** flatbed!!! I pay for this service and they suck. I will never renew with them again. Waste of time and money. Useless company, rude staff.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

After 16 years as a member of AAA, I am terminating my membership. I moved from Florida last year and immediately updated my address with AAA. I received my renewal notice and after an hour and a half trying to renew online with several calls to AAA support, I finally gave up. All of the support agents were useless, ambivalent and even belligerent because I had not paid dues to the Carolinas only to Club South. Thanks for nothing and thankfully I was able to get a taste of AAA Carolinas support before I wasted my money. Goodbye and good riddance.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I initially called for roadside assistance and the timing was decent. This guy was really nice and professional. They figured out I was going to need a tow. I waited about an 1 1/2 hours for the first tow. The guy who came appeared to be drunk, his eyes were glossy and he was rushing me. He was extremely lazy and told me he couldn't move my car because the way the parking lot was set up so he would end up blocking traffic and didn't want police called. He called for another tow truck. The second go round I waited 3 hours!!! Yes 3 hours, 4 1/2 hours total just for a tow. Customer service (Kristen) was very nice when I kept calling and even she said this was ridiculous that I'd been waiting this long. This company needs to monitor who they are contracting and stop being greedy. If you have local contractors keep them local so they can assist at times like this. I'm ready to cancel my membership. This is so unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I did not know my membership was on automatic renewal and just found out. I called to cancel and was expecting a refund on a pro rated basis but the person on the phone says AAA does not issue refunds. I have not used your service this year and see no reason why you can't do this. It's not about the money but principle and good business practice. I am in the car business and if anyone buys a warranty, gap insurance or any other product they can get a refund on the months left on the policy. I will NEVER use AAA again and will make sure I tell others about this.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Last night I was driving and my battery light came on. My car lights were getting dim. I googled the action and it said that my alternator was either bad or the belt broke. I was able to drive to a safe place and park. I checked the belts and they were intact. I then called AAA and a nice lady answered and helped me with a tow. She said that it would be about an hour and a half before someone could get to me. Well, within minutes I received a call from Mr. Mike of First Coast Towing, Inc on Blanding Blvd, Jacksonville, FL. He called to say he was on his way and asked me a few diagnostic questions. He got there and proceeded to check out my car. He verified it wasn't the battery itself. He took really great care with my car. If you are in the Jacksonville area and need service, give Mike a call. Very professional and courteous.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

So I’ve been AAA Plus member since 2015. Called 3 weeks ago regarding a blown out tire. 45 min after, the service person shows up and within minutes, replaced my blown out tire with a spare and left. Five minutes into driving on spare tire and about to enter the fwy ramp to get to my mechanic, the car starts to rattle and my spare tire blows out as well!

Luckily I wasn’t on the fwy or I could’ve caused an accident or been in one! It was nerve-wracking to say the least! I drive my rattling car home and called customer service at AAA to tell them of my scary ordeal and all they had to say was that it wasn’t their responsibility and that the service people they send are not qualified to check spare tires!?? Isn’t that their job? To make sure they check safety measures when changing a tire?? If that’s not what they’re qualified for, why are they even there?

Long story short, I sent in emails and phone calls, all mounting to nothing. They even said their management will tell me the same...they’re not responsible for anything!! So may I ask, what exactly am I paying for at AAA? I called to cancel membership and they said it can’t be refunded because I’ve used their service! Seriously??? Service that could have caused an accident! Is this how AAA treat their customers? All I asked for was to cancel my membership and refund this year’s fee...and they won’t even do that? Please relay this message to Ms Tena **. She’s director of AAA Roadside Service Northern CA.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I needed a tow on 9/5/18 due to my car not starting. I called AAA and they took my information down and said someone would call me. I received a return call from Brittney with McNeil's Triple A Towing company. She informed me that her service techs had 4-5 cars ahead of me and it would be a 3-4 hour wait. I was in the Salt Lake City area, I'm sure there were a lot of tow trucks that AAA could have contacted. But instead of finding out their availability, they sent me to this company who was obviously way over scheduled. I ended up paying $78 dollars out of pocket to get a tow truck to come get my car. And I have a AAA membership. Why?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I really enjoyed being a member of AAA for the longest time but there really seems to be a lack of corporate focus and a huge disengagement from the important. For example myself no longer being a member for over 6 months and still receiving your bills is more than annoying, I don't want to PAY YOU ANYMORE, I AM NOT A MEMBER and this is pretty much legal robbery at this point. If I don't pay your bill there is a serious threat that my credit score will be damaged and you ** in corporate are counting on it aren't ya. Keep shipping bills to anyone on your mailing list in a somewhat deceptive manner and hopefully you will get people to bite and offer cash that they would rather use to pay off student loans or put gas in the tank. I get that you have a business to run but stepping over your neighbor Americans back is pretty annoying guys.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

AAA would not tow a friend's car I was driving because the registration was not in my name. They advertise they will tow any car a member is driving but they do not deliver the service promised and paid for.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I am currently stuck on the side of the road. I've called AAA three times for help and all 3 times I've been told they cannot reach a driver and so my 4 year old and I are stranded with no idea when we'll be given the help we paid membership for. When I called and complained about the lack of service I was advised that I should call 911 for assistance instead. Very rude customer service. Why am I a premier member if membership is useless. I would understand if we were in the middle of nowhere, but we are at the edge of a pretty big town. Completely ridiculous. I'm very unhappy with the service. I will not continue paying for services that don't help me when I really need it.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Hello, I would like to inform every one of the service I received on 8/11/2018 approx 0930. I was on the I-5 southbound, towing our 5th wheel RV when we had a blowout on rear driver side of pickup truck. I pulled off to shoulder of freeway, disconnected 5th wheel to change my tire. (figured it would be quicker to do it myself). The blowout caused damage to my truck and electrical receptacle that 5th wheel plugs into. I drove 15 miles to nearest off-ramp in the city of Coalinga. There was one auto repair shop, where the mechanic was attempting to fix wiring on truck. He stated he needed RV to try to figure it out. So off to try to find tires. 45 mile round trip later, I go to pick up 5th wheel on freeway to take back to mechanic.

Trying to have a good attitude up to this point, this is when it went from bad to worse. Mechanic walked away because he can't figure it out. I have no brakes, no brake lights, turn signals, nothing. I can't tow 200 miles with no electrical or brakes. This is Saturday afternoon now, everything is shutting down. I'm running out of options, so I call AAA for help, since I have AAA plus RV 100 mile tow, maybe they can tow me to Bakersfield approx 90 mi away to get some help in a larger city. I get a call from tow driver stating he is 143 miles away and he doesn't think he has the right receptacle for the 5th wheel because he isn't familiar with RV's. I said I don't know what we are going to do then. I believe he probably canceled the tow at this point because he never showed up.

After a bit I call AAA back to see if we can get someone to tow us. I talked to probably 20 different people from AAA, one lady arguing that I didn't even have roadside RV. I received a text from AAA stating tow was going to be there at about 8;53 pm, then another text stating about 9;03 pm. At about 10;00 pm I called AAA to ask where tow was, and they said, "What tow?" They had nothing scheduled and showed nothing available to come to us. There we are at the side of a curb, never heard from AAA the rest of the night.

I started to jerry rig the wiring at about 6;30 am trying to get brakes and brake lights only while my wife was on phone with AAA. The lady my wife was speaking with stated the computer showed we cancelled the tow, that we ordered gas a couple times and cancelled them all and AAA tried to contact us numerous times. When my wife stated none of that was true, the lady said, "Interesting." and stated, "I think I see what's going on." We got pawned off like a hot potato more times than I care to remember. I have never had such horrible customer service from anyone, and nobody knew what they were doing or cared.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I have called 10 times and spoke to representatives and supervisors. Told the ONLY person who could issue the credit is the supervisor who approved the credit and that person NEVER calls me back. They try to sell all their other CRAP and can't even do a GOOD job with something so simple.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

A friend of mine locked my keys, wallet and phone in my car. After we tried for a hour to open the car door I called AAA, it was 8 PM. After explaining the situation repeatedly (they couldn't understand why I was in West Virginia when I lived in New York even after I explained to them that cars are able to move across state borders) they said they would call me back. Of course, they never called back so I called again and explained everything to them again. No problem, they said, someone will call you back. No one called back so I called a third time and was told no one was willing to come and help me but I could find someone to help and get reimbursed!

At that point it was 11 PM and I was using someone else's cell phone with no internet service and now they expect me to do their job? The next day I called member services and demanded a refund. "Someone will call you back," they said! Four days later someone called me back and gave me a refund. AAA does not understand the business they are in. They think giving you endless apologies instead of roadside assistance is sufficient. AAA roadside assistance is FAKE NEWS!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

At 10:00 PM, my son had a blow out with his tire on a highway in Vancouver Washington, just over the river from Portland, Oregon. He was able to drive it to the shoulder, which happened to be very narrow. It very dark with no street lights. He immediately called AAA and the lady asked if he could drive the car. He informed her "NO" it was not drivable and he needed a TOW TRUCK. He was told it would take 2-3 hours before a tow truck could come. His Dad and I told him to have the car towed to a Tire Center that we've been customers of for several years.

We waited and waited for my son's phone call informing us that a tow truck had picked him up. I called him at 1:00 AM and asked what was going on. He informed me that they still hadn't sent out a tow truck and it would still be another 3 hours!!! My husband and I were livid! We've been customers with AAA for over 30 years. AAA informed us that they didn't have a tow truck available. We expressed our shock and told them it's not like we're in the middle of Iowa in a corn field or something! Our son was in a VERY dangerous situation, on a narrow DARK shoulder, with traffic whizzing by him at high speeds and his battery was dying and his flashers were becoming dim. My husband asked to speak to a manager and the manager finally said he could have somebody there by 3:00 AM. It was now 2:00 AM. FOUR hours had passed since the first call was placed by my son. He's still sitting there waiting.

My husband and I decide to drive out to him (we're visiting him from Texas and staying at a hotel). We drive out to him and give his car battery a jump since it's almost dead. My husband decides to stay with the car so my son can get some sleep since he is racing motorcycles the next day. The tow truck driver FINALLY comes at 4:00 AM. The driver informs my husband that AAA didn't even call him until 1:00 AM-he is their ONLY driver for that area and they didn't call him!!! He said AAA does this a lot and he's sick of it because the customers get mad at the drivers. It was a terrible experience with AAA. They allowed my son to stay in a life threatening situation while promising to send out a driver and not following through.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

8/28/2018 I called AAA in Tampa to have someone come and jump start my dead battery. The serviceman came in a short time. He was nice and friendly. He carried a large obviously extremely heavy portable jump starter. He struggled to lift the jumper and placed it in the engine compartment of my Toyota FJ Cruiser. I was shocked. I do not even lay a screwdriver in the engine compartment. I said nothing. He jumped the battery and did a battery health test. He said the battery was bad. I told him I cannot buy a battery at this time. He then left. I closed the hood. The hood would not latch. The heavy jumper had bent horizontal the vertical hook that locks down the hood. I bent the hook vertically again and the hood latched when closed.

That heavy equipment should never have been set in an engine compartment. I take exceptional care of my car. I have emailed the AAA corporate office, the West Tampa office and several other corporate offices. None bothered to answer. They need to train their employees to take care of the property of others! AAA cares nothing about us. Only our dollars. AAA gets an F- from me.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

On Saturday (August 18, 2018). I called AAA regarding my son's Honda Civic which had broken down in Melrose, Massachusetts. We were parked on the street next to a hospital. My wife, my son and myself have AAA +. I called AAA at 5:45 pm. I was told that the truck would be there by 8:25 pm. I told them that I thought that was an inordinate amount of time. They said that this was a range, and they expected the truck sooner. The truck didn't arrive until almost 8:30 pm. When the drivers arrived, I told them that the transmission appeared shot in the car. I based this on the fact that the car would start and rev, but it would not move. I mentioned that the car would initially move but after a few minutes it would stop. The drivers moved the car back and forth on the street, and then opened the hood.

They told us that the problem was that "too much air" was getting to the engine. They tightened a hose and told us that the car was fine to drive home. I objected and said that my concern was that it would work for a few minutes and then break down. They insisted that it was fine. They left, and I followed my son in my car. About a mile away, when we were entering an on ramp to route 93 (in Stoneham), his car stopped. I was forced to back up. Because of the traffic, it was necessary for me to back on to a sidewalk next to the ramp. THIS DAMAGED MY MUFFLER. Some good Samaritans came by and helped us to push the car across the street into a restaurant parking lot.

I immediately called AAA and told them what I just indicated to you. They apologized and said that they would get someone there immediately. At 9:08 pm I received a call from 401-868-2000, the person identified themselves as being from AAA. They said that the truck would be delayed, and that we should leave the keys under the matt in the front seat. She said we could leave and that the car would be delivered where we originally requested it. We did as she asked and left. The end result of this is that my car in now damaged.

I have been a member of AAA since 1984. This is by far the worst service I have received from AAA. My car is damaged, and I will need to get a new muffler. Under the circumstances I believe that it would be appropriate for AAA to compensate me for the cost of the repair. I sent the above not to AAA. They responded with an email asking me to call them. They left a phone number and a contact name. I told the woman that I thought that I should be reimbursed. She told me to send her a picture of the damage and a copy of the bill. I emailed her both. I was not able to reach her for a time.

Eventually she called me (on Wednesday, August 29th). She informed me that she misunderstood my email and that they would not pay for the damage. I expressed to her my outrage, in late of her previous comments. Needless to say, after 36 years as a member of AAA, this will be my last. I recommend that readers of this look at some of the alternative road services (including AARP). You may be pleasantly surprised.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

My car broke down on a Sunday night (at my relatives house thankfully). I called AAA for roadside services. I was explaining the situation and the rep HUNG UP ON ME. I called back and was on hold for 45+ minutes. I told the new rep I had been hung up on from the original call and he didn't seem to care. I had to rehash the entire situation and was told that basically nothing could really be done until the AM (okay I get it was a Sunday but they were not helpful at all). Rep assured me that since I had to get home (ended up taking my relatives car) that my brother could meet with the AAA service employee the next day and be "the agent" since I had to drive an hour home so I could go to work the next day.

Called the next day to inform them my brother was at the house where my car had broken down and they said I had to be with my car and were very rude to me asking "Why aren't you with the car" (um because I have to work). She said she would have to confirm I could have him be present when AAA tow got there (on hold for longer). Was told that was okay but she needed to speak to him so I gave her his number (put on hold again) then told he didn't answer. I asked if she could give me a minute to text him to inform him a 800 or unknown number was going to call him (usually he doesn't pick up random calls) and she told me no that she had to hang up because she had other people to help. HELLO??! She was suppose to be helping me.

So my car is STILL where it broke down almost 24 hours ago with no help from AAA and all 3 reps I spoke to were horrible (1 hung up on me 1 told me information which I then told was incorrect and 1 was rude and acted like I was a terrible person for having to leave my car to get to my job/hometown which was an hour away). I never write reviews but this is ridiculous. Having worked in customer service for a good portion of my life I cannot believe the inconsistent answers I have gotten from AAA, the rude attitudes from the employees and the utter lack of HELP from a ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE company which I pay a good price for. 0/10 would recommend.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I needed a tow from Santa Cruz to the Santa Cruz mountains and they told me they could not do it. They claimed it was because highway 17 (the major 4 lane highway connecting Santa Cruz to San Jose) was a dirt road. Never in my life did I think I would lose a battle over a government commuter highway was paved or not. Not to mention I was on the phone with them or waiting for a call from them for over 6 hours before they decided highway 17 was not paved.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

We blew out a tire on a busy section of highway. We reported when we called AAA that we were in a dangerous location. 1 hour later an AAA representative showed up, said he had been given the wrong address, and told us it was too dangerous of an area for him to change the tire. He said he would call us a tow truck. Two more hours and three more calls to AAA, we are still sitting on the highway waiting. The representatives are always very apologetic, but can’t seem to assist. We are in a metropolitan area on a Saturday in the middle of the day. It shouldn’t be this difficult. The representative told us they had the wrong address again. :/ Not sure how they can claim world class service!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I have an expensive but worthless family membership that includes my brother. Last night he was driving with a friend to a concert in Philadelphia, a distance of about 150 miles. Both are near 70 years old and the friend has cancer. The concert was to be a pleasant distraction from his problems. Outside of Philadelphia, he experienced brake problems and pulled into a parking lot. Not wanting the friend to miss an event he had looked forward to for months and spent a lot of money on tickets, I called Uber to take them to the concert and AAA to arrange a tow home afterward. This was at about 7:30 p.m. I was told a tow could not be scheduled in advance and to call back when they were at the car.

At 12:30 a.m. I put in an online request for service and received notice that a tow truck from H&J Towing would arrive at 1:32. At 1:32 a message appeared that the truck had been redirected. I called AAA and was told no trucks were available to go that far so late at night. I pointed out I had try to arrange service earlier and asked why I hadn't been informed of the problem when I submitted a request over an hour before. The dispatcher had no answer, nor sympathy. The tow truck arrived at 7:10 a.m. and it didn't take a credit card for the $ 4-mile extra distance fee. The claim of 24/7 roadside is assistance is a lie and will leave sick old men broken down all night.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I called AAA for a battery replacement, showed up in a very timely manner. I am handicapped and walk with a cane and my left arm is useless, but I made it out to the garage and jump started the vehicle let it run for a while and ”I” disconnected the battery. AAA arrived I was in the house with my physical therapist, told him what I did and to put the battery in, knocked on the door and came in. I gave him my membership and credit card plus $10.00, I signed the receipt and he was gone. Upon looking at the receipt I noticed “labor intensive installation”. Bear in mind I’m handicapped and I had no problem accessing the battery, but after calling AAA they were told the guy had trouble accessing the battery!!! “CAN YOU SAY RIP OFF?” I’ll never use AAA again!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I have been a loyal customer to AAA for 30 years. I have had my home and car both insured by AAA since 1989. I have had perhaps 3 claims on my home in 30 years. The last claim I made was for water damage and they doubled my yearly premium based on just one claim and increased my deductible from $500 to $2000 though I replaced all the plumbing that could cause any future water damage. That's not the worst part. They just recently gave me 45 days notice that they were cancelling my home insurance policy after 30 years based on new underwriting guidelines that put my home too close to homes in a high fire risk area, though my home is blocks away from any brush.

I have lived in the same house for 30 years with zero claims for fire damage, and suddenly my home is too near brush to insure? And I am on a normal paved street in an urban neighborhood in Orange County, CA within 1.5 miles of a fire station. An aerial view of my home by Farmers Insurance was enough to demonstrate to my new agent that my home was not in a high fire risk area and they readily insured my home at a lower premium. Thank you Farmers. I will be cancelling my auto insurance and my roadside assistance with AAA because they do not honor customer loyalty.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I purchased auto insurance in April which would have provided coverage until Oct. They canceled my policy 07/30/2018 because they said I owed them $43.15. I had paid them $503.12. When I called 08/20 because I got the cancellation letter. They said that I would have to get a new policy and that it would be 60% more. I have a home insurance policy with them and roadside membership. Now that I know how they treat their customers. I have filed a claim. So Beware!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Called AAA service about changing a tire on my boat trailer to find out that AAA will not change a tire if boat is on trailer even if I have RV plus service. Original rep said it was safety issue and to call a commercial tow company. Called Good Sam road side. They came out changed the tire with regular tow truck and with AAA emblem on the doors. For those that have Boat US with vessel assist, they will do it, for those that have Progressive Insurance on their boat, they will do it. Boaters beware and check with your AAA if they will change a flat tire on your boat trailer with the boat on it!!! I later pressed the safety issue to find out it's their policy not to change tire on a loaded boat trailer!!!

AAA expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

• Best for: AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information