1.16/5
Based on 262 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Last updated: May 18, 2018

1043 AAA - American Automobile Association Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

AAA FAVORS CRIMINALS OVER THAT OF A LOYAL CUSTOMER OF OVER TWO DECADES. Doss' Towing lied to AAA, stating that he provided me with a jump start when he actually installed a battery, not the one recommended by AAA (he stated that he didn't have that one, but he just happened to have another one that would be just as good, but it cost almost $50 more). He printed out a fake ticker tape with a false serial number and applied a AAA sticker on the battery. The serial number on the battery did not match the one on the ticker tape. I did not realize all of this until April of this year when the battery kept losing its charge.

AAA kept telling me that I did not purchase a battery from them because there was no record of the transaction in their files. So, I just imagined all of this, right? They came so close to accusing me of running a scam. My credit card statement shows that the guy charged the money directly to his towing company. AAA refuses to do anything about the situation, stating that it is too late. Oh, my goodness. He gets away with committing a crime. AAA had the audacity to ask me if I wanted to renew my membership.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Was involved in a near fatal accident in Deming N.M. My ruck and trailer for atv's was towed 2 times by AAA to get it to ARIZONA. UNDER RV PREMIER MEMBERSHIP. TRUCK WAS FIXED IN AZ TURBO LET LOOSE IN NM 500 miles away from starting point. Left truck once again flew home. Truck was repaired. Flew out to pick truck up. Nearest air port AZ. Drove 500 miles to get truck and trailer. Departed 500 miles later second turbo let go. Called AAA. Was told, "Your on your own." I fly home have truck and trailer towed home. Fixed it myself. Dented oil pan and pick up tube. Renew membership. Then get told to get lost for 3 years. I have asked why and all I get is, "Our legal dept. said so." No reason or justification after 237 years.

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2018

My son's car was towed to a shop with a drop box for keys. The tow truck driver dropped the car off with the keys in the car. When the owner of the shop looked for the keys in the drop box, he couldn't find them. He found the key in the ignition and the glove box rifled through. My son asked if he needed to go to the shop with the driver and was told no. Why would they leave keys in the car when dropping it off???

Original review: May 11, 2018

My daughter had a car accident around 2am. She called AAA and they had NO ONE AVAILABLE TO PROVIDE SERVICE!!! Eventually the police had the car towed. The next morning Triple AAA finally towed the car from the police but in doing so damaged the oil pan under the car. We complained and Triple AAA stated that they would send someone out to review. They did but could not get under the car due to no lift available. They said they would have the car towed and then could determine the damage. They never came back and then sent us a letter stating that they were not responsible for the damage!!! All this without looking at the car. They also refused to pay the ticket that was incurred for the car being on the street while waiting for Triple AAA. Needless to say after many years we are no longer customers.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I've been an AAA member since 1973 and this is the first time I have been disappointed with their road service. My policy is for cars and trailers which I added at an extra cost because I did not want to be stranded on the road if I had a flat on the trailer. I requested service to change a flat tire on the trailer I was towing. After giving them the information about my 5th Wheel RV I was told that none of their service agents had the equipment to change the tire. This is on a simple two axle trailer that can be lifted with a 3 ton jack. Instead I was offered a tow at a cost of several hundred dollars out of my pocket.

Now you would think that it would be easier to change a tire than to tow a pick up truck and trailer to the shop. After waiting for over one hour and being refused service the CHP escorted me out of the freeway where I parked on a side street. There I called Les Schwab for help and they sent a service truck to change my tire. It took the serviceman 15 minutes to change my tire and I was on my way. I had to pay for this service and now I hope that AAA reimburses me for this cost. I am in the process of checking other road service companies and then I will cancel my AAA account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: May 7, 2018

I am a first time AAA policyholder. I was in dire need of Roadside assistance and decided to google some questions about AAA roadside assistance. After several searches, I decided to buy a membership only to find out that Google was misleading about waiving the waiting period. The web search was only for an AAA membership in CA. I contacted the AAA of the Carolinas and was told I had to wait 10 days for the policy to be in effect for Roadside assistance on the Premier policy which is the most expensive policy. It doesn't make any sense to me that the most expensive policy would have the longest waiting period. I am baffled that AAA acts differently state by state with membership terms and conditions. If I was in CA I could have the waiting period waived and or pay a $16.00 fee. The customer service representatives with AAA of the Carolinas would not make any waivers on my behalf.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have been with AAA for over 10 years. I have my whole family listed with separate cards and it is 5 of us. They said they are not renewing with us because we had 12 service calls, some with towing within a year. If you are paying for a service and you have 5 people listed, then why does it matter. No one wants their car to break down but it happens.

Original review: May 6, 2018

https://youtu.be/Z2BSetcnJH4. What you might not know about this service is that they will change the terms of your membership if you use the service. I was never informed of any limitations to the service calls - not during the service pitch and not via email and not via letter. I find myself in serious need for the service and then I'm told I've met the 4 call limit. The link and this statement sum up my complaint.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I live in Phoenix, Arizona, which has life threatening heat in the summer. One of the worst months for heat is August. Last year, in August, my daughter was driving back home with my ex-wife. when her car broke down. My daughter called AAA for assistance as they were in a location that was not close to any businesses, and it was extremely hot that day. AAA told my daughter they would be there within 20 minutes. After twenty minutes had passed, she called again, and they said they would be there soon. This went on for two hours!! The AAA serviceman finally showed up, unapologetic. They told my daughter 4 different times they would be there shortly, and my daughter and ex were stuck in triple degree heat for two hours!! They towed the car, and the problem was fixed, but I could not believe AAA let my daughter cook in the hot mid-day sun without explanation or apology.

I called and filed a complaint, 3 different times. I was assured each time I would be contacted and someone would speak to me about and resolve. I never received a phone call back. It disgusts me now that evidently AAA is putting a lot of money into attracting new customers with all the advertisments they put on TV now. Don't they realize it costs a lot more to bring in new customers than to attempt to keep existing customers? Maybe they had no good explanation, and so didn't bother calling back. Maybe they think they are the only game in town regarding road service, and so figure they don't need to kowtow to someone like me. I'm not sure why they wouldn't take the time to call back, but I didn't renew. I'm a little worried about a breakdown, and would like to renew service, but can't bring myself to do it with such an arrogant organization.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have been a member of AAA since 1977 and service used to be good, but now there is no local service in Americus, Georgia for AAA towing. After waiting in vehicle for an hour waiting for AAA tow truck to come from an hour away, tow service calls and is still an hour away. Cancelled the call and got local service to tow vehicle 5 miles. The amount I pay for membership would have paid for the local tow truck and then some! Called AAA to cancel membership since it is useless in this area, but they won't cancel membership "midterm." Ridiculous! AAA ought to pay local tow services a decent rate instead of making customers be so inconvenienced waiting for service.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have been a member of AAA since 1986. All my family members have AAA membership. I have never submitted a claim for anything. There have been years when we never even needed their service for anything. My car was recently involved in an accident. It needed to get towed and the cops refused to allow me to use AAA for the tow service. I, therefore, had to use the tow service that the cops called at the site. I was charged $175 for the tow. I called AAA and asked if they would reimburse for the tow. They said they do reimburse and to send in the original receipt and brief explanation of what happened.

I complied with their request only to receive a letter from AAA stating that they, "...determined that these expenses are ineligible for reimbursement based on the membership agreement." It seems that I had reached my roadside assistance call limit for the year. That is ridiculous! I had 4 service calls. There are 4 members on my account. This is outrageous! There were years where not one single service call was made. Did I get credit for that? No, I did not! I used to be a big fan of AAA but not anymore. They should be ashamed of themselves for treating a customer of over 30 years in this manner. In 30 years I never had one claim and there were more years where the service was not used at all than years that the service was actually needed.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have been a member since 1986 and I waited for a wrecker for 3 hrs then I got a call from Customer no service saying they called all the towing companies in a 50 mile range and no one was available. Customer advocate read off the computer and once again offered no assistance. I called a wrecker company and they will be out in an hour to tow my van. Now I have to pay and submit the bill to get reimbursed. What a waste of time and even the towing company said there is no AAA service presently for the Gainesville, Ocala or Crystal River areas. No wrecker company wants to work for AAA. I am now going to consider not using their no service at all.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I've been a member of AAA for over fifty years. A recent service call has shaken my confidence in the company and is making me re-assess my decision to continue my AAA membership. On April 19, 2018, my wife was at an appointment in Las Vegas. When she returned to her car the battery was dead. She called AAA and was told that a service vehicle would be there within 45 minutes. This was at 3:59 p.m.

An hour later, with no service vehicle, and no response from AAA, she called again. This time she was told that their computer had crashed and that they had NO record of her call. This time, she was advised that the wait for service would now be TWO hours! Two hours to get a roadside service call in the City of Las Vegas? Fortunately a passing motorist gave her a jump start and she was able to drive the car home. We requested a followup as to why AAA has no backup in the event of a computer glitch. But we have heard nothing from AAA - no follow-up at all. AAA's lack of response and their handling of this situation were both totally unacceptable.

Original review: May 2, 2018

A year ago I called and signed up for what I thought was one year. There were two prices according to the agent on the phone. One for 47 plus and one for 70 plus (I may be a little off). One was better than the other. Fast forward to a month ago and I got a letter that I glanced at that mentioned a couple different prices for renewal 70 and 120. Ok well I was not convinced on rejoining and put it aside. On May 1st my card was charged $120.00. I called and was a little upset but asked why. I was told basically that because I did not respond to the letter I was charged?? I have never heard of such a thing.

I worked for a similar company and we did auto renewal only if the member confirmed it and was read a disclosure. I did not do this a year ago. Regardless the numbers don't add up-why 120 they went for the highest amount. What if I had changed my address and the mail did not get to me until after they charged me??? Also now they have put me in a situation with my family and paying for other bills... I understand how long it takes for banks to refund but they put me in this situation, that is not fair. I want my money now-they caused it not me and that is what they do not get... Not many companies do--FedEx me a check.

Original review: April 30, 2018

This has to be the most inept company in America. If you're considering paying this company for their third world country service then you have more money than common sense. Read the reviews! I will also add this review because I've been dealing with this company for a few years. This morning I had to call then for tow service for my vehicle at my home to be taken to my auto mechanic in my hometown. Simple request, right? Not for AAA who's employees seem to be brain dead robots with lack of training.

I called their roadside assistance number at (800) 222-4357. You have to make a number of numeric choices to even reach the place where you put in your member number. This process has a time limit and if you're not inputting the 16 digit member number at lightning speed, you will be sent back to the very first of a series of numeric options that have to be inputted from your keyboard. It took me three tries to finally reach a supposedly "real" person.

This real person took down my location and where to tow my vehicle, then I advised her that I specifically required the tow service listed first on the closest AAA certified tow service in my area, which I gave her by name. She said for me to stay on the line while she called them to see when they could pick up my car. The call was disconnected, so I called AAA back and had to go through this process again.

This time the real person said that the wrecker service I advised them was not on their list but that they'd call someone else. I told this person that the first lady did get through to the specified wrecker service and that they indeed must be on their list because I'd called them before calling AAA again and was told that AAA had called them and that AAA had told them that if they couldn't get to it on the spot that they'd call the next service provider on the list. When I called back after the line was disconnected the first time, the person I spoke to said they'd call someone else because they couldn't find the wrecker service I preferred on their list. I told him that this sounds odd because AAA had already called them and that I was supposed to call AAA to confirm.

Third call I made to AAA I found out that the service call had been canceled for some reason. I was totally flustered at this point and hung up. When I called AAA for the 4th time today, I went through the whole LONG process that takes forever on the phone only to be told that this wrecker service closes at 5 p.m.EST and that they'd have to come tow my car tomorrow. Which isn't a problem EXCEPT the AAA robot person said that I would have to call AAA in the morning and make a new request to have my car towed.

I cannot believe the ineptness of this company. It took me a full day of calling the company only to be told that I have to call back tomorrow and put in a new request for service. If there is another similar service company other than AAA, I'd suggest you find it and use it instead of AAA. AAA can leave you stranded on the side of the road indefinitely due to a on their negligence on their part to fulfill a simple request. This is a horrible company!

Original review: April 28, 2018

My car had a transmission problem. After calling around SF to find someone who could transmission, I called triple AAA to have them tow to the place. Triple AAA then offered to tow to a place that was AAA approved as I would receive a discount, I asked them if they do transmission and they said yes. I was thinking, "Wow this is great, I didn't have to waste all my time calling around."

However, after getting my car towed there, the person said they didn't do transmission. I told them that AAA said they did, he then said "OK bring me a transmission and I will fix it"... How the hell am I supposed to bring him a transmission?? I don't know much about cars at all in general. I then went to pick up my car to transfer it to another place... He wanted to charge me 1300$ for "other problems" he found... I said, "No I want to take my car and get the transmission fixed"... He then charged me 100$ for a storage fee just so I could take my car somewhere else.

The other place said that I needed an oil change, tune, transmission fluid, and a new tire. They charge me 450$ and I was done. Car works like new now. I had to waste two tows and spend 100$ for a triple AAA mistake. I called AAA, they did not reimburse the tows or the 100$, and pretty much said "I know it's our fault but we can't do anything about it." I have been a member for 10 years in So Cal and 1 year in NorCal. I will never use AAA again. And am going to attempt to dispute all charges through AMEX.

Original review: April 25, 2018

On the evening of April 22 my daughter was stranded and needed a tow 10 miles from home. She called AAA for service and was told someone would be there within the hour. 3-1/2 hrs later and additional calls she finally gave up and cancelled the service. A mechanic the next day went to the site and repaired the necessary repair. A couple years ago my wife needed a jump. The tow truck employee said she needed a major repair and refused to jump her car and left her stranded. A passing motorist gave her a jump and she was on her way. I have been a AAA+ member for 5 yrs and have given my children AAA memberships as Christmas gifts each year. That has ended. They will get no more of my money.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Contacted triple a (lower case on purpose) because I needed a jump for my dead battery; I was informed that someone would reach me within a half hour. An hour later, I called back and asked if someone was on their way and was informed "they're 13 miles away" - another hour later, still no representative. Luckily, by that time my wife was available and brought my truck to me so that I could handle the issue myself. Very disappointed.

Original review: April 19, 2018 I don't have nothing against AAA but the tow companies they use for towing suck. I worked for Fast Tow AAA address 579 McKenzie St

Lewisville, TX 75057. ** and ** are the most crooked guys. When you quit they will lie about something you did and won't give you your last check. It's been over a month. They sent me a text saying that I needed to pay them 1,200 if I wanted my last check and w2 form. I contacted some people. By law they can't do that and I know AAA don't want this kind of publicity over some ** people but I'll keep writing reviews till they pay me...

Original review: April 17, 2018

TOTAL SCAM!! I bought a AAA battery 1 and a half years later it died. Was charged $180.00 for battery service from them and it was their fault. They are only after money. They are now in the homeowners, life insurance and credit card business. Only interested in $$$$. BEWARE. Don't buy a AAA car battery. It's a scam.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Is the second time you I trying to use the service. The first time they never show to change my tire. They left me stranded. The second time they took 2 hours before they showed. I won’t recommend AAA for this kind of service but they make sure they take my money on time when it comes to renew my service.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I am a platinum AAA member and almost ten months since I initially contacted the AAA Battery roadside mobile service for my vehicle. I have yet to be reimbursed $148.40 like they had promised me via email in July 2017! I have followed up with member relations dept. so many times via email and by phone trying to get this resolved. It’s ridiculous! The agents have lied to me so many times regarding the check that is owed to me. I have to get assistance from the internet, consumer/ social media! I feel that My complaint is an example of unacceptable customer service from a business to the public and it needs to be remedied ASAP! Please contact me if you have questions! Thank you very much For your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Very horrible emergency roadside assistance. I had AAA for several years myself. If anyone is looking for quality roadside assistance I highly recommend MCA **. They offer much more benefits and services unlimited towing etc. And they are cheaper...

Original review: April 14, 2018

Last two AAA providers that was used was not legal or insured to haul or operated in the state of Wisconsin. Finish Line Towing LLC DOT 3054216 Operating Status: NOT AUTHORIZED. Please refer to the DOT official website. https://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/query.asp Finish Line Towing LLC website also says they are an AAA provider. www.flt-wi.com

Original review: April 12, 2018

TRIPLE A SHOULD CHANGE ITS NAME TO - ASININE ARROGANT ** but then we are pretty stupid for renewing with them this year after we were stuck on top of mountain in NJ called CRATER LAKE and their crew refused to come help us when our car that got stuck. If it had not been for friends of ours at the lake that day that helped us with the car we would probably still be there. Last night, 4/11/18 our Ford Mustang shut down because a wire was loose in our dashboard and Ford's safety feature kicked in and the car was dead. This happened at 5 pm and at 7 pm a young man of 18 with a large flatbed truck turned up when ordered by Triple A.

When this teen from a towing company called SUPERIOR came he tried to start the car. The transmission stick could not go into DRIVE so he promptly told us that he couldn't help us that his "truck" wasn't the right kind and that if he tried to pull our Mustang on his truck it would ruin the axis & the tires would come off. In short this kid was lazy but we tried to reason with him but he still said no and to recall Triple A that they had not told him that the stick would not go into drive that he wouldn't have come to help us. In short he left without helping us. We recalled TRIPLE A and ** was the operator we got on the phone who told us that all the trucks with the kind of flatbed we need knocked off work at 3 pm. I ** you NOT that is what this bimbo said to us. Meanwhile we have TRIPLE A's PLUS SERVICE & then she told us that SHE COULDN'T HELP US but that we had to call a towing company, get the receipt and AAA would pay us back.

My partner hung up after reeming that idiot and then I called a tow company who charged us $125 on my credit card and towed us within the hour. We got to my mechanic's at 8 pm and home by 8:30 pm. I guess I could have called Liberty Mutual but I'm in the process of dumping them too. We got Geico today and we're saving tons of money. I like taking my car to our mechanic because he never gouges us. AAA is supposedly sending us a refund form to put with our original receipt which I want full reimbursement for and then I'M GOING TO DUMP THEM. AAA has never been this bad before but the people they are hiring to do these jobs are the bottom of the barrel. When I called Superior to complain about the 18 yr old punk who didn't help us the dispatcher told me that "you refused service". I made sure AAA knew he was lying.

Then the dispatcher told me that "the kid has had a hard day!?" What about my day and night that you're ruining you **? No answer. Then I told him to "** the ** I don't have" and hung up in a rage. I called back AAA and they were willing to send another truck but it would be in 2 hours. That was at 7 pm I said no & told him I was paying for a pickup and wanted a reimbursement. The new rep on the phone said I can apply online. TOTAL BS. Couldn't do it and then he had the ultimate gall to tell me "Have a great night miss" - SERIOUSLY? You're going to tell me that after I paid you 120 bucks and didn't get any service at all. GO ** YOURSELF. TRIPLE A is terrible. Can't wait to dump them - this is what you get when dummies take over a company.

Original review: April 12, 2018

After waiting 1 1/2 hours for the battery expert to jump my 2-year-old battery which is from AAA and was to be warrantied the expert said to consider replacement but have to charge all night to see if it is bad. Only 100% bad get replaced. Mine has 56 CCA out of 650 CCA.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have had AAA for 20 years and never had an issue. When replacing my battery, the 'contracted' agent did not reassembly my car properly causing damage to my windshield wiper mechanism. I called AAA claims; they came out; then called the 3rd party; the 3rd party denied causing any damage so AAA sided with them. I tried bumping this up the ladder with AAA but no one knew who AAA's claims agent reported to. I contacted the 3rd party. Opening up my hood for a look, the shop found other components lying in the well of my hood; but of course, it wasn't their guy that left them there!!! I had no alternative but to pay for the part they broke ($150) but saved a little since installation was on them (AAA's diagnosis was wrong; the part they claimed failed due to age was not the issue).

During the 5.5 hrs I was waiting for the repair, 2 customers came in complaining the repairs made to their cars were bad… a steering issue & battery light now stays on after battery/alternator was replaced the day before. My wipers now work but I must lean toward the passenger side since the blade stops about mid-way on the windshield on the driver's side. AAA USED TO BE GREAT. They had integrity and was a service to its customers. NO MORE!!! Apparently they now deal with shlok 3rd parties and then deny any responsibility (read your contract). I cannot express how disappointed I am in AAA.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been on a payment plan with AAA for years and they suspended that plan and now they expect me to pay for 5 Premier members at once. Not good business to change policy and not inform your members.

Original review: April 9, 2018

AAA dispatches a tow truck which will only take me 116 miles, when there is another AAA-affiliated tow company nearby that would take me the whole 200 miles. Seriously unimpressed and researching alternatives while spreading the word.

Original review: April 8, 2018

AAA Garfield Auto Service Center. This has got to be the worst place to do business with just through my experience. AAA had taken my vehicle into the shop. Nothing was done to it. They in exchange wanted me to pay them $1055.00 for work which was not done. Then they asked me to pay cash of $960.00 if I wanted to use my AAA discount. This raised a red flag when they asked me for the cash. They made advance moves to keep my vehicle in their shop. Just to come up with ways to charge more money. They even went as far as to go out to get a used part when I've requested new parts. This is how they operate. Now my vehicle sits in their garage. I'm also waiting to hear from AAA who is to investigate this service center seeing, how this service center was recommended by AAA as one of their service centers.

Now that I've been contacted by the AAA they've placed me with someone who knows this service center owner and it has caused a conflict of interest. If this service center is a certified service center they shouldn't have even thought to do any repairs with used parts. Especially the ABS braking system without any concern of personal health or welfare. No documentation has been presented to me in regards to any of their services. No cost factors or any statements in regards to repair if any were to be done. Only if the information was talked about is that the part was used and it would take days to receive it. I canceled their services before the 7 days. Now the service center has replied to me that they'll remove the part off of my vehicle for $500.00 even though. I didn't authorize them to do anything to my vehicle.

AAA expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

• Best for: AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information