1.21/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

AAA - American Automobile Association

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

881 AAA - American Automobile Association Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I've been a AAA member since 2000. I have Premier membership and have used my membership all these years for 2 tows and 1 KEY opening. This morning my kids father broke down on a busy highway with my kids in the car. I called AAA for a tow at 8:00 am and we were told 60 minutes so I went & picked my kids up as it's 90 degrees out. It is now 1:00 pm and a tow truck is still not there. We've called 3 times and each time we're told 10 minutes. The ETA is now 1:20 pm which is a total of 5 hours 20 minutes. I will not be counting on AAA anymore.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have the RV AAA. Well I lost my key so called AAA for help about 4:00 pm Friday. It took them 45 mins to pick up the phone. I told them what happen. So they said they would call a locksmith. So I waited 15 mins and AAA called me back and said they called two locksmiths and I had to wait till Monday because nobody else was open. I told them I was 75 miles away from home in a very bad part of city (The Hood). And I ask could they tow my pickup truck they said no and hung up on me. I called a locksmith myself and 20 mins later he was there. 20 more mins I was on my way home safe. AAA you can kiss my **.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

My wife and I waited 6 HOURS on the side of the road after a collision and calling AAA for a tow. We called AAA every 45 minutes for 6 HOURS before the tow truck arrived at 8:00 at night. Each time we called AAA asking where was the tow truck, they gave us the same answer, "It will be there in 20 minutes." We are finished with AAA.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have never had so many problems renewing a membership. Tried to do it online. Couldn't do that because I was taking my daughter off as she married and had her own membership. Can't remove someone online. Have to call their 800 number. Over a thirty minute wait to speak with someone. Had to try twice as I had to hang up the first time as my lunch was over. The second time I was at home and after 45 minutes, I had a live representative. What a nightmare. After going rounds with these people, I finally cancelled my membership due to the total incompetence of the customer service rep. It's a good product but heaven help you if you need anything besides calling for assistance.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

AAA is the worst. I had my car towed. It overheated. The tow came over an hour later as I was told it would be right away because of the dangerous area I was located. Well finally they came and the guy right off the bat had such an attitude I wanted to wipe it off his face. I followed him around the car and he opened the hood for no reason and broke the latch. When it went to my mechanic it wouldn't open. I called the ins person in charge of claims and I his supervisor Called me back because he said he couldn't do nothing about it and again same outcome. They get these do jo shops that are no good and they have no reimbursement clause for something like this. And the attitudes are despicable. I wish their ratings down as I see they are already as for customer service and claims to the consumer. I am not happy at all with this situation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I've been a member of AAA for 36 years! I am locked out of my car & have reached their limit of 4 calls per year. AAA would not make an exception & left me stranded! 36 years of loyalty stands for nothing!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I never have a problem with AAA service since today... I request a towing of my car because it get stuck in the grass. They have me waiting for 1 and a half and when they came they want charge me 300 because the AAA did not cover it. That make me very sad... what a poor service. I contact them and spoke to 2 supervisor and they did not help at all... Please be aware.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

My husband and I have been a customer of AAA for 20 years, and have not abused the service. Today I had a flat tire and had to wait 2 1/2 hours to get my tire changed. I understand you are very busy but, then maybe you should have more people to work for you. It was absolutely absurd. A man asked to help me and I told him I was calling AAA Roadside Service and they would be here quick. Well quick did not happen. I am going to cancel my card after this experience. It was 88 degrees outside so I had to leave my car running the entire time for the air conditioner and must have wasted a quarter of a tank of gas.

One person told me an hour the next told me another hour. Absolutely ridiculous. I really dont think it is something you should do to person who has done business with you for 20 years. Hire more people to take care of your customers in a timely manner. I am very, very disappointed st AAA. The man that came was extremely nice, it took him all of 10 minutes to change the tire. I think his name was Dwain. Very nice man.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I called for a flat change at 9:50 pm. I was told that it would be an hour and a half which was bad enough. I was in Broward County Florida, not some remote place! I was told I could track the dispatched vehicle. I could not or should I say that the truck arrived 20 minutes before it said it would at which time I was having a cup of coffee downstairs. That was three hours and five minutes after I called. AAA service and dependability is abysmal and I don’t recommend them at all.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My five-star rating refers only to my most recent experience, last night. If I averaged it with some other calls in recent years it would be much lower. But I can't put any of that criticism on the AAA folks who helped me last night. The phone rep was polite and concerned, and the driver got there in no time and sent me on my way, saying he could hook the car by himself easily enough. If there was ANY flaw, it was that the driver actually got there much SOONER than the agent's prediction. Which is the sort of flaw I'd like to experience more of. Top drawer all the way.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

The first week of April I paid in advance for a rental car for mid September. I live in Florida and reserved two cabins in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I flew in on the red eye, spent the night at my son's in Massachusetts, then went to the Fall River, MA Hertz rental center the next morning to get my car and caravan with my 4 kids and grandchildren to the cabins. Hertz was not open. Three others were also waiting for cars that they had reserved. When they were 45 min late opening we all decided we should go somewhere else. I was told that they opened their doors 1 1/2 hrs late that day.

I had my whole family waiting and reservations and no idea if the place was going to open so I followed the rest and went hunting for a car. I called the nearest AAA office to report what had happened and request a refund. After several calls and emailing documents I was told I would have to come into the office because they couldn't print my emails from my cell phone. After our holiday in the mountains I went into the office. After being there for over an hour they discovered that I was from Florida and said I have to go to the Florida office. I told them I rented a car in MA for my vacation and they assumed that I lived in MA also.

It didn't occur to them that I don't vacation at home where I have my own car and that I may actually be from out of town. I called my hometown AAA and was told that because I rented a car through AAA online they cannot help me. I was told to talk to Hertz. Hertz is ignoring me. Customer service said they will review the case and email me their response. It's now 2 1/2 weeks since the day I first contacted AAA about not getting the car I paid for 6 months ago that I rented through them. They want me to renew my long time membership this month. I don't see that happening. Just try this. Go to AAA online and try to contact someone without intent to purchase. They will talk to you if you're buying something but if you have a problem they don't want to hear about it.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

RV customer for 7 years paying additional for RV towing and extended mileage. Called at 1:00 pm for service - they quoted me a two hour window - after two hours - No call- after several hours and several attempts - they said they would not help me and call them back tomorrow to start again - manager hung up on me and she said the best they could do was have customer relations call me back in seven to ten days - simply I could be dead by then! Terrible, Horrific service!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I had been waiting 2 hours for a driver to help me with the battery in my car. When he finally called to say he was on his way I simply asked if he had a battery I could purchase. He wouldn't answer my question and told me to cancel my request and hung up on me. I have been using AAA services for over 20 years and have always had great service. This driver ** needs to be fired!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

The guy came 2 hours late. Couldn't find my battery or connectors. Said he had the right battery. Then he told me it was too much work because of where my battery was located and he didn't have the right one after all. And on top of that, he damaged my hood causing one of the corners to bend in. I will come back with the order number. But now they cost me a day of work and to get my hood repaired.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

After 13 years of membership, and never needing a tow, I came to be surprised that my "classic" membership meant only 5 miles of a tow. I swear, I have never been told about "levels" of membership. And then the tow truck driver wanted cash? How shady is that... Get your tow package through your reputable car insurance company, not these turkeys.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

It was around 7pm on a Sat night. Car would not start. Sound like battery was dead. Called AAA. Went thru promos. Said I needed battery assistance. Scheduled for 1 hour. At about that time driver called and said he would be another hour. When he didn't show up I called. He said 40 more minutes. Only to find out he did not replace battery. He would give jumpstart. To where?? There is nothing open. He said the area was not making enough money to do battery replacement. I had waited more than 2 hours. I called AAA and spoke with their resolution department. This women had no resolution. She said battery replacement is only 7am to 7pm. She said the tow truck driver did not know what he was talking about. Unless I lived in an area where there was "no" battery replacement.

So what I learned is that I was sold a policy that I've had for at least 10 years that states "Battery replacement" and I have used that service before. But all of a sudden things have changed without my knowledge. I now know that the area I live in which is 30 min south of Daytona Beach isn't large enough to offer battery replacement. But yet Mrs Resolution says yes. If between the hours of 7 am to 7 pm. Which is it?? I will call Monday an attempt to find out the answer. Meanwhile I have requested tow with State Farm to auto store to get new battery Sunday morning. I will be cancelling AAA. Nothing is worse than an organization that large not respecting their own rules and regulations.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

What a scam this company is running. Did you know that they have their own "warranty" for batteries they install? The warranty does not cover the actual battery life of the battery that is in the car, like any other place on EARTH does! They try to make extra money from their customers by profiting from customers and redeeming the manufacturer warranty! SCAM ARTISTS! SHAME ON YOU TRIPLE A... CROOKS! GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Today, September 30, 2017, the wheel fell off of the axle on my car on the interstate. I called AAA for a tow, as I am a premier member. The associate helping me stated since it was an unsafe zone the truck would be prioritized to come tow immediately within 45 minutes. I have been waiting for 2 hours and 36 minutes as vehicles have flown by at 70-80 mph. I called AAA three times to see where the truck was, the associate said the order was cancelled and they hung up. While calling back again I was placed on hold and transferred to the incorrect spot 4 times. Not only am I still waiting on hold and still on the interstate, the associate then charged me an extra $80 for the service when PREMIUM MEMBERS HAVE UNLIMITED SERVICE! This is unacceptable and AAA will be losing every single one of my 19 family members' premium service.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I had a battery that died on me. It was still under AAA warranty that I bought from almost 3 years ago. The first technician came and I didn't remember his name. He told me that the battery test results showed the battery was good. I did not believe it. So I left my vehicle running for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes of idling, I drove to CVS to get something. As I returned to my vehicle and I learned that it won't start. I called AAA again. The guy from AAA named Mohammed came and took a battery test. He showed that the results said the battery was good but except for one thing: battery cell rating. It was bad.

He told me that it was no good. So he asked me for my warranty papers, in which I had in my vehicle, he reviewed and told me that I'm eligible for a new battery. So he replaced it. His customer service skills were great - he was funny and calm at same time. From last Friday, my vehicle has been operating normally. I wish to thank Mohammed from AAA for actually identifying the real problem. I am glad that I am on AAA membership.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

My teenager daughter called me in a panic while driving my car. She had a complete flat, the car was undrivable and she didn't know what to do. My wife and I have AAA coverage. I located my AAA card and proceeded to call the Roadside Assistance number from my mobile phone. Instead of an operator, it routed me through several menu options (during which time I have to remove the phone from my ear and locate the keypad) until I could finally wait for an operator. So wait I did. For 15 minutes.

Once the operator came on, I explained what happened, and they asked if I was driving the car. No, it's my teenage daughter, I replied. She asked her name, which I gave. "Oh, she's not on your policy, would you like to add her today?" On top of that her English was poor and she was difficult to understand. Are you kidding me? My teenage daughter borrowed my car, and AAA won't help her because she's not an AAA customer, even though both her parents are? By now I've wasted 20 minutes, so I called my insurance provider, who offers towing on our policy. They were professional, courteous and prompt. But it took an hour to get a tow since my initial call. Should have called my agent first! Goodbye AAA, I'm cancelling our membership and will not renew. I needed you once and you were no help.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I have been a member for over 32 years. I discovered that I had accidentally locked my keys in my car when I walked to the side street where I parked my car after visiting the local Farmers Market on a quiet Sunday in LA. I called AAA, and they were so nice and promised me assistance would be there in 20 minutes. I told the dispatcher the street I was on and that I would be standing next to my green Yaris waiting. 30 minutes later, I call again. I get a different dispatcher who tells me the driver was at the farmers market and did not see a member, so he left.? I told her that I am NOT at the farmers market! I gave her the street name and the major road 1/2 block south of me. She promises she'd sent another truck. Another 15 minutes goes by and no truck. I call AGAIN and AGAIN am told the truck couldn't find me at the farmers market. (?) I again repeat my location and she told me she would put a Rush on it.

Another 15 minutes goes by and I call again and ask the woman, "NO ONE is showing up!" Then the woman tells me "Well, you didn't tell me what building you were in front of!" I told her that I was on a residential street and that I was in front of homes and gave her the number of the house I was standing near. So... after 70 minutes a truck finally shows up. He told me he was told to go to the Farmers Market. He didn't see anyone so he called the dispatchers back who gave them (finally) my real location. What the??? Why did they send 4 trucks to the farmers market when I was not there?!

Customer service is gone with AAA. I do not trust them any longer. I am sorry that I just renewed, too, so I am shopping for other services and will cancel my AAA. It's so sad how low they have sunk. They do not care about their customers (and even long-time customers) anymore. Time to take our business elsewhere. Just horrible. They went from stellar to toilet bowl. Very sad.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

My initial call was at 4:11 pm. I was told the driver would be there at 5:30. No show. Called again and was told the driver was delayed due to another call. I never received a call the driver was delayed. Each time I was referred to a "supervisor". Yeah right. One actually told me the driver was 3 minutes away; 6:24 pm. Called again at about 7:00 pm and was told the driver would arrive at 6:24, WHAT!!! Once again "supervisor" apologized (they all say that). Well a driver arrived from Towing of the Carolinas at about 10:15 pm. Who was the "supervisor " talking to all this time!!! The driver was off and no one told him about a call. It was a manager that finally arrived. Wow, if a real supervisor at AAA would review this service call, he would be very embarrassed by the performance of his staff. I cannot recommend AAA, unfortunately.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Last evening, I purchased my membership at approximately 8:05 pm, Eastern Standard time. I contacted AAA regarding a membership. Although, the membership was described to me in great detail, the agent neglected to inform me that there is a no-refund policy. Needless to say, I requested an tow and was told it would arrive between 8:15-10 pm. The tow company dispatched contacted me and advised there would be an overage in miles. The associate then took my credit card information, and charged my card an additional, $16.48. The tow truck driver never arrived. I cancelled the tow at 11:00 pm. I am VERY disappointed in AAA, and called this morning to request a refund, and was told there was a no refund policy. It has been less than 24 hours, and I did not receive any services from the company. I'm beyond livid.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Called for a tow, said it would be 90 minutes. Called again. They recommended calling an independent company, called no one would come out. AAA called back said they found someone. Will be another 90 minutes. 3 hrs later no tow neighbor helped me get back on the road. Going to cancel. AAA is a joke.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Consumer Affairs, do something about this scam of a business!! We paid for premium membership for all the members of our family for years. Never needed it until recently. My tire blew up on the highway. I felt comfortable, after all we had AAA roadside assistance. I called, they told me they would be there in 45 minutes or less. It took almost 3 hours and multiple phone calls, before somebody started to care and another hour to get someone out. It is a total scam and joke of a company. You are better off canceling your membership and paying for private help if you need it. Where is the minus one star button when you need it!?!?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I called today to get my car towed to my mechanic. My membership allows me to have my car towed for 100 miles. However today I am told their towing company can only take my car 10 miles because of the gas shortage. As I was running my errands, I did not see any gas stations that did not have diesel gas. I was told that I could pay for it and maybe I can be reimbursed. I asked to speak to a supervisor (Fred) he was totally useless, did not offer any helpful information except that I had to wait. This is really poor Customer Service.

Why not look for a different towing company that provides the service a customer signs up for, really sucks!!! So now I am having to extend my rental for their sorry ass service. Many individuals in Florida evacuated because of the hurricane, that means if anyone broke down before the storm hit and they were 10 miles away from mechanic or home they would be left stranded. I also noticed that AAA is not on social media, that is because the truth would come out of their poor service.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Stay as far away from AAA as you can! It is a heartless company! Today while running errands for my mother (recovering from surgery) in my uncle's car (currently in hospice), it broke down. My uncle has had AAA for several decades. I explained to the woman about my uncle and that I helped in caring for him. I explained that I needed to get back urgently. She refused to send a tow and kept saying she had to talk to him. My response, "He's dying! Do you understand dying?!". Her response... 'he has to call and add you to his membership.' He's not making phone calls. He can't even tell us where he hurts. He's actively dying from Parkinson's. Didn't matter. The witch could only spout her company mantra. I hung up on her and paid to have his car towed to a garage. I was then able to get to my uncle. Stay away from this company. They will NOT be there when you need them!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I am disgusted at AAA towing service. My daughter was in an accident and needed her car towed - the AAA app keep coming up with technical errors therefore I had to call the 800 number. At 10:15 PM I was told it would take between "now" and 11:50 PM for a tow truck to arrive. I was then called by a AAA rep at 11:05 PM which then informed me that it would take between "now" and 1:30 AM. This is unacceptable. You do not leave someone on a major road, in the dark, for 3+ hours waiting on a tow truck.

The policeman on site had us a tow truck within 30 minutes. I will not renew my membership and will never do business with AAA. Furthermore, I will request a refund of my 2017 membership Fee. There are hundreds of complaints by people that have had the same issue with towing response times so it appears this is the type of low level service that AAA provides. The one time I needed them they failed me - the app would not even work and they could not provide a tow truck. There is a reason AAA does participate in the ConsumerAffairs accreditation program nor the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I called AAA because my vehicle was broken down in the road in front of my driveway. I've been a AAA Plus Member since 2009 and haven't used their services in years. I was told that the tow wasn't an emergency even though it was in the road and the rear brakes were locked up. I needed to move it off the road and in the driveway because the road is very narrow and Hurricane Irma (Tropical Storm when it hit us) came through our area yesterday and the grass along the side of the road was too soft to drag it with a winch there. Under AAA's Membership Guide it states under Option 2 for towing, "You may be towed to a destination you select within the first three (3) miles of the disablement (at no charge). Plus and Plus/RV Members receive up to 100 miles free towing." Since I'm a Plus Member, I should be eligible for up to 100 miles. I wasn't asking for much to move my vehicle 10 feet.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Recently I became a AAA Autoclub Silver card holder member. (100 miles tow.) First they tell me I can't use it for 7 days. The website states "if you use the membership the day you get it, it will be a $35 non-refundable charge" So thats fine. I'll pay the $35. But no... They tell me that only works if you do it the EXACT same day you bought it... I had tried to use it the very next day. So they say they will only do 3 miles and I had to pay $3 per mile for extra miles. So I needed the tow and the extra would cost me $63.

So I said fine. When the driver gets there (which was the only good part about this whole experience) he suggests to see if there are any recalls on the car that may be free to fix. (The ignition and steering wheel was locked.) There were recalls on the ignition, so he suggested to take it to the dealer (that was not my original destination). So that was only 3 miles away so the tow was covered.

Now the dealer had the car and fixes the original issue because there were recalls... But now they tell me I need a starter and they want $450. Well I don't have that so I call AAA back for another tow to one of their authorized mechanics. Now I'm told that they won't tow the car from the dealer and take it to another shop. The man literally said "AAA is not for your convenience because you don't want to pay the dealer $450 to fix it. They have the car, they can fix it." So basically what he told me was they won't tow the car at all. So I'm paying for a membership and AAA delegates how you can use it??? If I have it towed from shop to shop to shop... thats my business. If I use all my tows for the entire year on one week... thats my business. AAA is a joke!!! Don't waste your money. They could care less.

AAA expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.
    • Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.
    • Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.
    • A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.
    • Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.
    • International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.
    • Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.
    • Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.
    • Best for: AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.
    Profile picture of Lauren Fix
    Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information