1.18/5
Based on 272 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

1086 AAA - American Automobile Association Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

My car broke down and required towing to Jackson, Ca. After some four hours of calling back and forth we were told that AAA could not find a driver to tow us 40 miles. We were stranded. It's absurd that I have been paying a large amount of money to receive a 100 mile tow. How can AAA collect the fee and then not provide the service? It shows a complete lack of responsibility for the customer. I will be requesting a letter from AAA that they will provide a 100 mile tow should it occur. Shame on AAA.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Called at 7:25, it’s 10:12 and still no message on when my vehicle will be towed. It’s a good thing I’m not on the side of the road with my child but I still have work in the a.m that requires an early start. I received a call after I called an 1 1/2 after I contacted them for the tow stating they were delayed and I would receive a message around 9:30, it never happened. And what’s up with the 10 min of not speaking to someone when you first call? All set.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 14, 2018

After 17 years with AAA in California, I recently moved to Arizona in April. Paid the membership fee 2 months in advance, and filled out the change of address, in turn, received the new member "Plus" card in June. Today July 13th I received a new bill from AAA in AZ indicating payment due twice the amount with notification that membership would lapse without immediate payment due on July 13th. I called the customer service # to inquire why the bill when I had already paid and had received a new card for the year. I was told that once I left CA, and though they are a "National" business, the membership was void, and that AZ would require a new membership fee. I asked if they could simply send my payment for the amount to the AZ office since I had paid 2 months in advance for the year, to which they replied that was impossible, and that a check might be sent to me in 7-10 days once a supervisor could be found on Monday.

When I asked if I could speak with a supervisor, and here is what I was told. Due to the fact that it was Friday and going on 2pm no one else was available to speak to. When I tried calling the AZ office, the line was never answered so the membership terminated. So if you or a loved one is traveling across the CA border anywhere and thinks that you are covered by AAA, this is the process that AAA uses. Remember that though they are a "National" business, their business stops at the CA state line. This level of customer service should be brought to the attention of CEO, Mr. Robert L. Darbelnet, unfortunately his email address is not available, corporate address=1000 AAA Dr. Heathrow, FL. 32746. It is interesting that they have 1 CEO for the "National" business, yet will not cover you if you cross state lines. AAA gets a FFF rating.

Original review: July 12, 2018

4 hours to tow in emergency situation on freeway. Called dispatch and was told approx. 1 hour for tow. Truck came after I honked while he was going by me. He pulled over like he was going to hook up then pulled up about 40 ft. and sat there. After 10 min. I walk to the truck and motioned to roll down window. Driver acted like he couldn't understand then just drove off and didn't come back. How can AAA get away with doing such a crappy job. Anyone on any of these forums get back to me at **. I want to make them pay for all the misery they have caused everyone. They are not a free service and a girl was ** and murdered because of them and they don't have the slightest bit of remorse. The time has come to act.

Original review: July 11, 2018

My car recently would not start after a 12-hour overnight shift. The first AAA truck to come carried batteries but the battery tested good. A second AAA truck came that could tow my car. The response time for both trucks was good. The problem was both men referred me to a AAA repair shop they could take my car to. I trusted that the shop would be a good one since it is associated with AAA. The tow truck driver dropped me at my house and then took the car to a place called Galaxy auto repair in San Antonio Texas. After getting a couple hours of sleep, I looked up this repair shop to look at reviews online. Horrible reviews (2 Star Repair Shop). It turns out the tow truck company that came to help me is in the same place as Galaxy auto repair. I called AAA back and told them I wanted my car taken somewhere else. I found a place close to my house that has good reviews.

AAA called the tow truck company back and was told by the tow truck company that my car would have to be towed the next morning because the place I wanted it taken had no key drop off for a Sunday afternoon. I had to wait until Monday morning to get my car towed to the shop near my house. The shop does have a key drop off so the car could have been taken Sunday afternoon even though the shop was closed. I wrongly assumed that since the AAA drivers suggested Galaxy that it would be a good shop. On my way to the new shop Monday morning someone from Galaxy called me and asked me why I wanted my car taken somewhere else. The man told me he could get the car fixed and towed to me so I wouldn't have to get a ride to come pick it up. I still went with the new shop. I always thought that AAA researched and passed on recommendations to their customers that were respectable places of business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: July 11, 2018

My wife & I have been a AAA member for over 30 years and I have often bragged to friends and family what a great service it is. Christmas presents in 2017 for my 3 adult children and spouses was AAA memberships along with my explanation that if you have a cell phone you or your wife never have to worry about being stranded in the middle of nowhere. About 1 month or so later during a snow storm my son slipped off the road in his car. It was at this point that AAA made me into a liar. He called them and they sent out a wrecker. We live in and area where snowstorms are not uncommon.

After about an hour my son received a callback from them in which they told him they had cancelled the wrecker because it was unable to get to him because the wrecker did not have 4 wheel drive. They advised him that he could call a wrecker on his own and they would reimburse him for his costs. Lucky for him, a guy in a beat up old Subaru station wagon happened by and pulled him out.

I have contacted AAA several times about what happened but have basically been told, too bad and we don't plan on changing our policies to avoid such a thing from happening again. My AAA membership ends in August 2018 and I will not be renewing. My 3 adult children will be encouraged by me to follow my lead and go to a competitor for Real Roadside Emergency Services. Boy, has the world has changed. I remember when any company worth its weight would work with its customers to make their company better and their customers served, neither is going to happen in this case.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I called for a jump at 3 pm. I was told it would be an hour then I would get a call from the company that will be coming out. Never got the call. At 5:30. Called back to see what was going on. The lady I spoke to never put the request in. Why do I pay for the service when they do not even put it through that I need help. This is not the first time this has happened. Very disappointed.

Original review: July 9, 2018

My wife and I have been AAA members for over 20 years. Today we had to wait over 3 hours for road service for a flat tire after being told it would be a 4 minute wait. They never called to update us on any delays. Instead, I was calling every half hour, going through the lengthy automated phone system. Who's their competition, I'll go with them next year.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I've been a member for well over 20 years, I've noticed a trend over the past couple years that makes me feel unvalued as a customer so I will not renew my membership. With that said this will be the fourth consecutive year that I have to replace the battery purchased and installed through AAA. Even though I've decided not to renew my membership they should still honor the warranty. They sell cheap batteries and charge you for road service when they die. This is unacceptable and it is misleading to the consumer. I am beyond disappointed.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Having been a AAA Premier Plus member for over 35 yrs. without any problems we thought it was a no-brainer to sign up for their RV coverage when we bought our 27' travel trailer and after being told by the agent that all services provided for our vehicles would also apply to our RV (including the 200 mile tow) we added that coverage. A week ago as we were heading home on Hwy 395 about 5 miles from June Lake area our tow vehicle had a flat tire, no problem, we have AAA so we pulled over and got out to check just as a CHP pulled up behind us as did our sons who we travelled with. As they approached from behind the trailer they commented that we had bigger issues than our vehicle tire because it appeared that one of the trailer tires had blown a bearing seal as there was grease all over the rim. While dismayed we weren't worried because we have AAA RV coverage. The CHP officer called for a tow and was told it would be about an hour.

OK, we understood that where we were at would require some time so our sons went about changing the tire on our tow vehicle so we could follow the tow truck into the closest town for repair which would be Bishop and we began our wait in their trailer because it was very hot outside. About an hour later the CHP returned to let us know that there was no tow vehicle coming, they couldn't find one! During our wait our sons had determined that there was some significant damage so putting the tire back on wasn't going to be an option so now what? Here we are stranded on the side of a major freeway with no way to get our trailer off the road. Thank god for our sons who figured out how to tie up the axle and then followed us as we limped the 40+ miles to Bishop where we had found a great shop, A&L Tire Automotive, who would be able to get us in and fix our trailer.

Lo and behold once there it was determined that the damage was far more severe than originally thought and due to parts, etc. it would probably be a week before they could get to it. So, we again called AAA (we are now 229 miles from home) and after 10 minutes of explaining that we had a "bumper pull travel trailer" and not the "Class A or B or C" the customer service agent insisted on calling our RV she said she would get back to us with dispatch information. After 5 hours (and multiple calls to them) they finally called back to let us know they had found a "low-boy" to tow our trailer however they would charge us for anything over 100 miles (the nearest town big enough to be able to repair the vehicle in was well over 100 miles away). I couldn't believe what I was hearing because we were told by AAA that all "premium plus" benefits would carry over to our RV when we signed up for RV coverage and our premium plus includes a 200 mile tow.

Being 229 miles from home we figured we would be happy to pay for the additional 29 miles but that 129 mile tow would have cost us $1200.00! Needless to say we limped home, an 8+ hr. journey. My complaints with AAA are two-fold: 1. Every person I have spoken with that has AAA Premium Plus RV coverage was told the same thing we were; our Premium Plus benefits carry over to the RV which would include the 200 mile tow. Every person was shocked to hear it didn't.

2. Most importantly is this; we are paying for extra coverage for our RV's to AAA for service yet they don't have vendors with the appropriate equipment to tow any RV from a Class A, B or C to a 5th wheel or even a 27' bumper pull travel trailer. We were stuck on a major highway in the heat of the day with vehicles, trucks, etc. blowing by us at 65+ mph and if our sons hadn't been with us who knows how long we would have sat there. So, if AAA can’t even provide the equipment to tow an RV let alone honor what services they told us we are entitled to, what are we paying for?

Original review: July 5, 2018

I am customer with AAA for long time, Got bitter experience with Insurance cost hiked and charged by 120%. There is no communication or confirmation with customer and charged 120% higher than it should be for two months. And when I called for overcharges reason, they are simply said it's because of company policies and renewal offer send to my mailbox which is not true as I do not receive any renewal offer. I explained that I was not received or aggregated for new charges. Both agent and supervisor were not provide any justification after couple of customer calls. I asked them for cancellation immediately and moved to different insurance company with less than what I used to pay before hiked price with AAA. I can say AAA steal my money.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have been a member of CA Auto club for 42 years - no accidents - no moving violations. I did have a "fender bender" ($1200) - the limit to be dismissed in $1000. As a result - my insurance premium was increased by 28% this year. I don't believe that is why my insurance is being increased - I believe it is because I am turning 80 next year. SHAME, SHAME ON CA AUTO CLUB. 42 years of membership- I am thoroughly appalled by CA Auto - I will cancel my policy as soon as I can register with a new company.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I am new to AAA. My car broke down at work in the parking lot. It was 99 degrees with a 107 degree heat index. My kids were in the car because they came to pick me up from work. They are 18 and 13 yrs of age. I was given a 2 hr wait. I called 3 times and was told at first 45 min, then 15 min twice. Here it is going on 4 hrs, no tow truck, my boys are hot, thirsty and frustrated. Not once did they call to say what happened, not once did they care that I was in the god forsaken GEORGIA heat. Then I'm told 15 more minutes and when I asked where the driver was, he was 30 mins away. This is unsafe and even deadly. The lady told me I have a BASIC plan, therefore there is nothing she can do. Get this, I must still pay the 45.00 tow fee. AAA is an abusive and uncaring company. Do not, do not, do not use them if you can help it.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I've used the service seamlessly for five years and have always been extremely happy. However this last time they completely and entirely let me down when my car broke down on the way to work and I was stranded on the side of the road. Between the automated phone service (a real person used to answer) and finally getting an obviously NOT Colorado-based customer service rep. on the line who could NOT figure out my location despite me calling out every landmark and cross street within a 2 mile radius (the buggy AAA app I was directed to could not detect my phone's GPS either), all in all it took nearly 45 minutes to put in a service call for a tow, then an additional 2.5 hours for the tow to actually arrive. That is horrendous service!

I was told I could not cancel AAA mid-year when I called to complain, so I grudgingly waited until the renewal came up to more than happily get rid of that added worthless expense. Anyway, I was in need of roadside service yesterday and recalled I do pay for roadside for less than $2 bucks a month on my auto insurance, so I pulled out my insurance card and dialed the number. Voila!! I was able to place the service request in less than 5 minutes and was told someone would be there within 35 minutes and he got there in less than 10. Best service EVER. I am so relieved I don't have to pay for nor depend on AAA anymore.

Original review: July 2, 2018

After having been with AAA for more than 10 years, I started to experience a very, very bad service in which an agent quoted me for X then charged me with Y (which is more than X). Even worse, I called and also sent email message more than 10 times within 7 days and I haven't heard anything from her. I then send 2 email message to a generic one, which is policyservices@aaamissouri.com but still the same. I will switch to another insurance who would deserve our business.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I’ve always had AAA since I started driving. I currently have my roadside assistance (AAA plus), renters insurance and auto insurance with them. I’m currently stranded in a different state on one of the hottest day and what do I get from AAA? Your wait time will be 90 minutes! I mean, I’m literally stuck in the heat and that’s what I get for being a plus member. I certainly would not recommend AAA to anyone. I’m reconsidering my auto and rental insurance policies while I wait in the heat right now.

Original review: June 30, 2018

After having been a AAA member for 20 years, with some past experiences being marginally okay, I recently had need for road service. I was in a parking lot with a dead battery. When I called for a jump I was told it would take 2 hours, which was/is unacceptable. I wound up walking to a parts store to get service. Upon calling AAA to cancel my service, which had just renewed June 1, I was told that they did not give "mid-year refunds". What a rip-off this company has become. So, my sincere advice, DO NOT waste your money with AAA.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I purchased an Interstate battery through AAA and had it installed by AAA less than 1 year ago. The battery is dead now. AAA Auto will not honor the warranty because the battery was put into another car. It should not matter. The battery is faulty and should be replaced at no charge to me. No longer will I purchase this brand of battery but also when my renewal to AAA Roadside Service comes up this fall, I will look at other companies instead and no longer renew with AAA Roadside Service.

Original review: June 28, 2018

The automated service is insane. I got stuck on the road and it took me almost 30 mins to get to be ON HOLD for a human because it would keep redirecting me to the main menu. I called from a business not a cell phone and I could barely hear the person in the call center. The rep then got irritated with me because I could not hear him. Incredibly upset with this service. It's always like this.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I was in a parking lot in Princeton using the battery to listen to the radio. I don’t recall how long I had it on, but when I went to start the engine, the battery was dead. I called AAA and they came pretty quickly. The gentleman tested the battery and said it was dead and he would happily replace it for me at that time. Since I already had an appointment for my annual car inspection, I told him that I would wait until the next day. When I went to get my car inspected, I was told there was absolutely nothing wrong with my battery. I have to wonder how many people call for a jump and are sold a new battery unnecessarily. I do not trust AAA anymore.

Original review: June 27, 2018

After suffering a blowout on a highway near Ocala Florida, we called AAA for assistance. We were driving a Ford E350 camper but made the mistake of calling it a RV to the service person. We said we either needed a tow or assistance with replacing the blowout with the spare. We called back again to make sure she knew that it was a normal passenger size tire.

After an hour with no response we called back to check on progress and we're told that she could not get any tow companies to come for our RV. She had described our vehicle as a motorhome requiring a much larger tow truck, when all we really needed was someone with a tire wrench. Finally after 4 hours a nice man in a pickup truck from one of the tow companies showed up and helped us install the spare tire. He told us that he expected to see a big motorhome with large commercial truck tires, and was told a wrong location as well. Ronnie from Antis Roadside Service was great, but AAA made a bad situation worse. I can no longer recommend them to anyone who needs roadside assistance.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I had a policy with my whole family, 4 people. As I understood anything with wheels was covered. My son could not start his motorcycle and called AAA, they told him, "No coverage here. Call these people," 125.00 later they got him and the MC home. What a shady tow co. They even had a ** girl that was smoking in the front seat. How distasteful. AAA should be ashamed of themselves and who they associate with. I called that day and they told me to read the booklet given to me. So non caring. Needless to say I cancelled my policy.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Before I start telling you my last and final experience with AAA I would like to say that 98% of the time when something makes me angry I get over it two days later and say whatever. However this happened over a month ago and I am still pissed when I think about it and I will NEVER FORGET IT! Anyway let me begin! When I signed up for AAA 5-6 years ago I thought it was a great service and only had to use it a few times and part of the membership is “they will bring you a gallon of gas if you run out of gas” and I thought that was a great... (so I thought!) fast forward years later about one month ago... what started out as a great day for a ride before work??? Turned into a day I will never forget!

I ran out of gas on my motorcycle with no gas stations around so I thought “oh yeah I have AAA for these situations” so I call them just to find out “sorry you don’t have motorcycle coverage on your policy. We can’t bring you gas unless you sign up for the additional coverage for an extra $50 a month.” At this point I am ** **!!! I argued and argued and argued with the guy on the phone!!! Because what the hell else am I supposed to do. I am stranded and have no other choice. So you're telling me if I was in my car or truck or anything else you would bring me gas no questions asked but on a motorcycle “NOPE ** YOU HAVE FUN WALKING!!!” I was stuck on the side of the road for about two hours after TELLING OFF!! The AAA guy on the phone and eventually some Good Samaritan brought me some gas so I could make it to work over an hour late later that day. I canceled my AAA service???

Original review: June 23, 2018

We have been loyal AAA subscribers for 16 years. That’s $1600 and we have never used the service. That is $1600 to the bottom line. Pure profit. We have only requested assistance two times during the past 16 years. The operative word being “requested”. We never received promised services upon which legal tender was paid… Hmm. That’s interesting. It reminds me of a Seinfeld episode in which Jerry reserved a rental car and, when he arrived at the airport, the rental car company did not have a car of which to rent… In Jerry’s words, “It’s easy to take a reservation, anyone can take a reservation. The key is to HOLD the reservation.”

Two years ago, I called to get a flat tire changed. It was in a seedy part of town at an even seedier gas station. Two and a half hours later, AAA kept promising me service within 20 minutes. Light at the end of the tunnel. A tow truck finally pulls up, about an hour after dusk. Alas, it was not AAA. He noticed that I was in need of assistance. He said that he did not take AAA because it was a terrible company and did not pay well. Not enough to even cover expenses. Disorganized and disreputable, even. He would help me out for $50 cash. I look in my wallet… $40. It was the day after Thanksgiving and he was full of ** and pumpkin pie… lucky for me. I was on my way home. Very kind man and, if you are reading this, thank you.

Today, June 22, 2018. Our Honda Odyssey breaks down in our driveway. We need to have it towed to the dealership because it was inoperable. Two and a half hours later, only excuses and no results. It’s getting late, we’re tired, need to get the van to the service station because we need to get it fixed ASAP. Any luck? More excuses and lame attempts at “customer service”. I ask for a full refund for a year. They are dismissive and uncaring. We cancel the service and handle the problem ourselves. A local company arrives within 20 minutes. $65 later, we resolved the problem.

What if my wife had been in a bad part of town? What if she were on the side of the highway? What if my kids AND my wife had been in danger? AAA would have threatened their safety and security. This is atrocious, despicable and deplorable. AAA should be investigated by the Better Business Bureau. I believe they will find a treasure trove of corruption. AAA gladly took our money. Unfortunately, they were unwilling to pay local towing services on our behalf when we were in dire need. Shame on you, AAA. You are deplorable.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have had four experiences with AAA. Despite my premium membership three times they did not show up and one time they showed up to bring me gasoline then asked me for money and went away returning much later with only half the gas I had paid for. I have paid tow trucks after waiting for AAA in Florida and dangerous situations, I have called friends to save me. Today they didn't show up again. I have called to have my membership money refunded but they will not do that. Why should they? They have the perfect scam. You pay $100 a year and they do nothing. I was a member in Southern California for 30 years and they were great. Don't bother with Jacksonville AAA. Save your money! You will need it to buy gifts for your neighbors or pay for the tow trucks you'll be using when these idiots never show up. And they won't.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I had a AAA car battery less than a year old and AAA would not even test it because I had removed it from my car. I got permission to do so from a AAA agent and when the truck arrived they would not test it because it was not in the car. I explained I had permission to do so but the agent made no note so I was screwed. The battery had an internal short and would not take any charge even from a 40 amp charger. Of course they think I'm an idiot and do not have any knowledge but I even have my own battery tester and load tester. The battery has an internal short. I have a friend to drive me to the airport now, Triple A is mostly a scam. Last year they would not tow my car because it broke at work and I work at an auto dealership. They would not tow it. I am not a member anymore.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Was told I would have to wait up to 3 hours until sufficient towing staff began to filter in. What??? I am on the side of a busy road. Then suggested they could drop me in someone’s parking lot. My reply was, "Will YOU be responsible for my safety??" I pay for this service for years and when you need it you get excuses. Had I had a gun perhaps I would have taken the offer to be dropped in the middle of someone’s gang territory. Bait and switch. They advertise, "We can have someone to you in 30 minutes and get you back on your way." BS!

Original review: June 16, 2018

Car service - I called when my car would not start in the middle of my street and they says I would have to wait around an hour, it’s been two hours and now they say it’s another hour wait. Three hours is not right when you are stranded with children and dogs in your car in 94 degree weather!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I am in Goodyear Arizona. My car had two flat tires and needed a tow to dealership. Not only did the tow truck not show up on time, which was suppose to be an hour and a half. Three and a half hours later he showed up. I will give them that. They towed my car to wrong dealership. I lost a day's pay. They had no idea where my car was for most of the next day. Not sure I will renew.

Original review: June 15, 2018

They had my 73 year old dad wait for roadside service for 6 hours on the side of the road in Ashtabula Ohio. If not for a passing motorist he would of passed out on the side of the road from low blood sugar.

AAA expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

• Best for: AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information