Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
AAA - American Automobile Association
1.27/5

AAA - American Automobile Association

AAA sells a wide variety of insurance types, including auto insurance, home insurance and life insurance. AAA doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you'd like help selecting the best insurance policy for your needs, contact InsuraMatch to get quotes from their partner insurers. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1185 AAA - American Automobile Association Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

11/20/2018 - I called AAA this morning to get roadside assistance. I was on hold for 45 minutes. There's no snowstorms in my area. Nothing to warrant this link of a hold. Ask to speak to a supervisor and I was hung up on by the customer service agent. Call back. Spoke with a different agent after being on hold for 40 min. And was told it would be 72 hours before an Asian would call. Regretting using AAA as my tow service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

This service is horrendous. I called to make a roadside claim. My brother took the car to the gas station to buy our 90 year old grandmother, that's right, 90 year old grandmother some **. The car became disabled while there. It's November and cold in Iowa... I called for roadside assistance and was told because I was not present, he could not be assisted. I would have to add him on to policy. This made no sense considering that I had the same car jumped when he took it to the store a few months prior and it wasn't an issue. So here I am with a 90 year old with Alzheimer's who I couldn't leave alone. She's coughing and all we want to do is give her some medicine and I have to take a Lyft to the gas station with her in order to be present with the car. Half a freaking mile away! She's already sick and I have to bundle her up and take her outside just so I can be present with the car.

I spoke with 3 idiots that I eventually hung up on since their only concern was reading "policy." Yet, policy had no issue with the car and him driving it a few months prior when they came out. Luckily, a good Samaritan gave the car a jump since the attendant on duty didn't have a vehicle to do so. Doesn't matter how long you are a member. This company will screw you over ever freaking chance they get. I hope you're happy that you employ idiots that are not about helping the customer, but themselves. Come to Iowa and stand in the cold, bring a 90 year old out the house because you guys want to refuse to service a car that's listed on the policy.

Get expert buying tips about Roadside Assistance Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

The representative was very rude. I called for the second time about my renewal cards. He said it would take 7 to 14 days. I asked why wasn’t I told this when I called the first time? He repeated it and got smart about it. I’m a long time customer & deserve respect on the phone. I can see why the reviews are not the best. I am requesting that AAA administration take a look at the reviews and make the necessary changes needed to bring this company up to the standard it use to be. Customer service was always good but now I’m looking at it differently because of my own experience & the reviews I have read. This company has been around too long to lose your good name.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Waited 3 hrs in the cold for AAA tow truck. When they finally showed up they had the wrong truck for my vehicle. Called today again and this time I requested a AAA towing service I have used before. That was 4 hrs ago now. What has happened to AAA? They used to be a good company.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I am a driver who knows nothing about car, except to drive. What happened is that I had a flat tire on my way to work this morning, Sunday 11/18/2018. I called triple A around 7:36 am, and and the dispatch got to my destination at 7:45 am, and got my tire changed within a short period. From the representative that attended to me to the man who got my tire replaced are diligent, respectful, kind, and represented triple A very well. I don't normally give review, but what I experienced today is so satisfactory, and I just have to share my experience. Thanks to triple A for giving me more confidence that I am not alone, you're the best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AAA?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Friday before Thanksgiving came for trip ticket. No one available because manager had THREE people available. They were in training or on leave. Was told she doesn't check work vacation schedules and this had happened before. I am a caregiver and had to pay someone to be with my husband while I went to AAA. I will have to pay double again and make another trip to get my trip tic. It is Friday before the busiest travel week of the yesterday!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We were given a runaround. Called at 7:30. Was told an hour wait. Called at 8:15 for status, was told the truck couldn't make it. They were looking for another. Called at 8:45 spoke to Supv. **. She actually said she didn't care. Called at 9:30. They were looking for yet another truck because the first two couldn't make it. We ended up calling a private towing company, who showed up in 20 minutes. I've been a AAA member for 25 years!! This is not how customers should be treated.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My truck and rv were stuck in mud. Contacted AAA auto club for towing and they claimed there was no company available to tow both units. I am a 32 year member and have a premier membership that covered both units. My unit was jackknifed and we attempted every possible way to pull my unit out of the mud. Luckily, a neighbor came with a four wheel drive truck that eventually pull our units to dry ground. AAA auto gave me the runaround when attempting to get payment be of the man that helped out of our situation. I was then sent a letter asking me to submit a Bill.

After submitting billing, I was told they could not pay because it was not on a business billing. They have done all they are can which WAS NOTHING... I also had damage to my rv that the AAA auto club was non responsive to as well. I would not recommend the insurance with such poor service. This happened in Washington, Pa.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Driving home my daughter hit flash flooding which put her vehicle into a ditch. She called AAA to get it towed. Water was up to the pedals in the vehicle. The towing company "Tick Tock Towing" pulled it out of the ditch and immediately tried starting it... they did this repeatedly... when it wouldn't start they grabbed the jump box (or whatever it's called) and tried jumping it. All the while my daughter was yelling for them to stop. They of course couldn't start it so they towed it to the house. Her vehicle was totaled because the intake was full of water. She called AAA to put in a claim because the damage was from the towing company trying to start it after being in so much water.

The AAA claims man, Mark ** was very nasty to her. I called AAA and reported him and the incident, they sent me to Jody ** the member relations manager. She told me that the garage said because there was no water in the oil that the engine wasn't damaged because of them trying to start it. I called the garage to find out what was going on and they let me know the only thing they did was take a picture of the oil stick that AAA requested.

After the insurance company totals a car they can't touch it and that the insurance company totaled it because of the water in the intake. I have been trying to call Jody for almost 2 weeks, left multiple messages for her to call me back, to let her know. I am still waiting. I don't understand how they can ruin a vehicle and not take responsibility. I feel they should have to fix/replace the engine. VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE UPPER LEVELS OF AAA.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I needed a new battery and I called AAA to install a new one. The technician did a poor job installing it and it created problems starting the car. Not knowing that the problem was caused by AAA I went to the dealership and the diagnostic cost me $130. I called AAA again and a different Tech was able to fix the problem. He admitted to me that the original AAA tech was negligent and had done a poor job. I submitted a refund claim for the diagnostic amount and it was rejected. By the way, in 9 years of AAA membership, me and my wife had never submitted any claims.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

AAA is one of the worst organizations I have ever worked with. No refunds on membership unless you are deceased or move to another city. I had three days into a membership and called to cancel and the rep told me AAA does not refund money. Interesting how quickly they will accept your payment, but will deny your request for a refund. They don't disclose that when you are applying for membership, but expect you to know the policy that they have internally. I will tell ten friends about this policy and ensure they tell ten friends etc...

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

While there might be some good benefits about having AAA towing service, you are at the mercy of the towing company performing the service! Buyer beware! While having my BMW towed by Lucky's Towing of Holly Hill, FL, the tow truck driver attempted to slide my car across the deck of the tow bed and inadvertently put 3 dents in the driver's side quarter panels in doing so. Had I noticed it before I picked it up from the dealership, I would have complained it right away. Neither AAA or Lucky's Towing did anything to reedy the situation and I now have $1000 worth of body work to be done to my BMW. Shop around for a better towing service! One more thing, AAA contractors, quote; "don't like doing AAA tows, because they don't pay as much" un-quote.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

AAA is the worst company out there... I needed a new Battery for a 2006 BMW X5 which they replaced for me but on BMW the new Battery needs to be reset and AAA can’t do that mobile service. They advised me to go to their core office to get it fixed. Well the core place by my house can’t do it... They asked me to go to the Dealership to get it fixed. Well there is a fee for that and AAA will not cover the fee... I’m really upset. I will never do any business with AAA again. I will advise my friends and family to leave this company!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My car broke down on Bay Bridge in SF. After I called AAA to get service they told me I needed to pay an extra $75 for same day tow. It turns out that because I was on a bridge Caltrans tows for free and I would not have needed the service at all. I called AAA back, and they said they should have known that and will file an investigation to refund my money. Just received a callback from AAA and they said they will not refund my money but will credit it towards my next membership. I do not want to have an extra membership with AAA because there were a couple other issues as well and I was not happy with the service. I just want a refund.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I recently used AAA Emergency Road Service to tow my van to an auto repair shop and was very pleased with the service I received. The AAA dispatcher quickly arranged a local towing company to tow my vehicle. The tow lady was so awesome. She was quick and thorough to securely get my vehicle on her tow lift and let me ride along with her. She was friendly and even offered me a courtesy bottle of water during the ride. She provided great customer service. It made me glad I kept my AAA membership.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I was given a priority standing due to the location of my breakdown. After an 1 1/2 I called to inquire where was the tow. I was told due to the towing company having to leave the area I was put behind 2 local breakdowns giving me at least another 1 1/2 wait. 3 hours and counting. I have been a member for 25 years, pay for the plus membership. This will be my last year.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have been having issues with my 2006 Sprinter based RV. The RV was in a “limp” mode and would not go over 20 miles per hour. I needed to get the van to the dealer for service. I have been a AAA member since 1987 and have a Premium RV membership. I have been very happy with the services I have received until today. I have recommended AAA to many people and purchased gift memberships for others. That also changed today. Today, November 6th I called the roadside assistance number for South Carolina. After describing the van based RV size, a tow truck was dispatched. When the driver arrived, he claimed his truck was too small and that I needed to call AAA to resolve the issue.

I called AAA back. After being on hold a person answered the phone, and put me on hold to look up my case. The line then went dead. I called back again with the exact same result. The 4th time I called, I asked to speak to a supervisor to explain the issue. After the explanation, the supervisor refused to help me. Even though I paid extra for the Premium RV membership she refused to help me. The supervisor (Tammy) was EXTREMELY rude and dismissive. No options were given. No clear explanation of why I was denied service which I had paid for. This is not the way I have been treated in the past.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

We have the premium service. Yesterday waited for over 2 hours for a tow truck only to be told they could not get to us. Milwaukee has lots of tow companies and I don't understand why this service does not have sufficient contracted vendors to service the clients. Done with them and will not renew my service as it is worthless.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

After two years I am done with the terrible service. They can't even get my address correct. I had 4 vehicles, Homeowners and umbrella, totaling over $4k annually. Switched over to GEICO. Saved about $900 and their service is amazing.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

On October 26, 2018 at approximately 2:30 pm, we placed a call for roadside assistance. At approximately 3:05 pm a technician, Dominic, responded to our call. After having difficulty testing the battery (while he is a very nice young man, Dominic did not seem to know what he was doing), Dominic decided that our battery was bad and that we needed to put in a new one. Dominic proceeded to replace the battery which again, was a process. He claimed that our cable had a big build up on it that he had to knock off in order to get the new battery on. This was not true. Once that new battery was on (this process took approximately 20 minutes) he had us attempt to start the car.

We knew immediately that something was wrong, but he had us attempt it a few more times. That is when Dominic called in back up. We unfortunately did not get the name of the additional gentleman that came out. While they were under the hood trying to figure out what was wrong, the new gentleman pointed out that Dominic had the battery in backwards. In other words, he had hooked the negative cable to the positive terminal and the positive cable to the negative terminal. This can have lasting damaging effects on the vehicle.

After being alerted to this problem, Dominic attempted to put the battery in correctly to no avail. The car was damaged and would not start. This was a direct result of the actions of a AAA employee. Dominic was a stand-up guy and he admitted his mistake and that it was the reason that after the battery replacement the car still would not start. It should be noted that while he was testing the battery and had it hooked up to additional power, the car started just fine. It was now 5pm on a Friday. We were stranded 50 miles from home and were on our way out of town for a wedding. Dominic proceeded to call his manager to try to get a tow home at the cost of AAA as well as a rental car so that we could keep our trip to the wedding. AAA declined to pay for any of this stating that we could make a claim for reimbursement when we got home.

We called and made a claim immediately while we were still at the car that afternoon. Since it was after 5pm on a Friday, we had to scramble to get a rental car to continue our trip as well as wait another couple of hours for a new truck to come and tow the car home. At this point, our total out of pocket was approximately $775 ($150 for the battery that was fried, $440 for the tow back home, and $180 for the cost of the rental so we could continue our trip). On Monday, we had the car towed to our mechanic. As of Tuesday he confirmed that our entire fuse box was fried as well as the alternator. He also indicated that the battery that Dominic put in our vehicle was not the right battery for our vehicle in the first place. He could not give us more information until the alternator and fuse box were replaced so his computer could talk to the vehicles computer.

At this point, the car is sitting at nearly $2,000 and we are not sure that these are the only problems that this mistake has caused. We have made numerous attempts to reach someone since Monday, October 29th but it seems AAA refuses to even call us back to take care of this. We consider this a clear cut negligence claim. We are moving forward with the repairs to the car and we do anticipate additional charges. AAA's refusal to even engage will ultimately lead to a much bigger bill as we will seek reimbursement of legal fees if we are forced to engage our attorney who is on standby and has indicated that we do indeed have a case for negligence.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

We booked Hampton Inn for the Garth Brooks concert in Elkhart, Indiana thru AAA travel. We were quoted 468.00 for three nights, when we checked out we received a copy of our bill for 411.00 from the hotel. After calling AAA to get our 57.00 back, we were told by AAA we should have never seen that bill and they refused to give us our 57.00 back. So if I would have booked thru Hampton Inn instead of AAA I would have 57.00 in my pocket. I will never use AAA again and will cancel my account with them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I am currently stranded, 8 hours from home, need a tow to get my pickup truck serviced as it suddenly died. Called AAA, we have been Premium members since 2000. But AAA will not help me in any way because I cannot empty my truck by the side of the road. Even though I have a secure locked cap on my truck, I’m not allowed to have anything in it. I am an artist heading to a show. I certainly cannot leave everything on the side of the road. I am an old lady, traveling alone, post-surgically. I am stuck here. I was crying on the phone to them—"Please help me." Nope. “Have a nice day” the young lady said. I called back and left a detailed message and my cell phone number for the manager. 5 hours later, Mr. **, the manager at the Chambersburg, PA AAA office, still has not returned my call. I sincerely hope no one ever treats your mother like this. Still crying...

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

These guys suck! Incompetent, expensive and indifferent when I brought my vehicle back due to problems with their shoddy service. They installed new brakes and the day I collected the vehicle, as I was driving it away from AAA Lawrenceville, I could hear this horrendous grinding noise that sounded like rocks rubbing. I called and someone named Juan told me not to worry, the parts just need a few days to settle in. Like an idiot, I believed him! But took it back after 2-3 days. They managed to get the grinding noise to stop, but soon thereafter they began squeaking, same routine.

This happened repeatedly with regular trips back trying to get them to fix them properly once and for all. THEN, the last time the manager told me, "Everything is fine. Don't worry." I invited him to ride with me and hear the loud squeaking when I apply the brakes. He smirked smugly and told me he didn't need to hear it. His mechanic told him the brakes were fine! When I asked "really? are brakes supposed to make that horrible noise? Because I feel they shouldn't." He just smirked and said after so long they can't be responsible anymore!

I pointed out this problem started the day they made the repairs, but he just stood there staring at me, then said no, he was not going to fix the brakes. And don't get me started on the thousands I wasted on new struts at this place: They used parts of such poor quality that only a couple of years later they need to be replaced again (this after the originals lasted 160,000 miles). DON'T TAKE YOUR CAR HERE UNLESS YOU WANT TO WASTE MONEY FOR SHODDY WORK.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have paid for premium AAA service for 2 years. I recently called to have my vehicle towed two miles to a shop from my driveway. I was told that my 12 passenger van was too big for them to cover. They wanted to charge me $138 for a 2-mile tow. I checked all the documentation in the manual and read the details of the vehicles that are supposed to be covered. Based on their printed documentation my van should be covered. AAA lied to me. I would not buy service from AAA. They are dishonest, lying, cheating, conniving miscreants.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I was buried in mud 50-150 feet from the road 3 times last year. AAA never failed to send me a driver. The drivers they sent me were usually on time, or gave me a heads up when they wouldnt be. Every driver (even 1 that was in a sour mood) was willing to pull my car out of the mud on sketchy dirt roads. Kudos to AAA for sending me drivers and keeping me aware of their progress, and kudos to the truck drivers who are almost always willing to go the extra mile.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Early this AM in Seattle I called to have my auto towed. Starter was broken. After waiting for 45-50 min he arrived and I started explaining where it needed to be taken, to repair shop and where to leave it. He was unhappy with my explanation and started raising his voice in an angry fashion at me and I asked him to stop yelling at me. He then told me he had a sinus infection so it wasn't his fault and kept yelling at me. I again asked him to stop yelling at me and to lower his voice and he started walking away and said he didn't need to put up with this and he would call for another driver, threatening to leave me there without the tow. I called AAA dispatch and eventually he calmed down and towed the vehicle. So unnecessary and so unprofessional. I complained about him to his manager, Chris and also writing this online review. I have had many interactions over 20 years with AAA and they have been universally good prior to today.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

They increased my premium after getting a quote and cancelling my old ins by $740 without informing me, said they would waive the cancellation fee because I couldn't reach my rep. They are now sending me to collection for a policy cancellation fee on a policy I never had. No response from upper management after 4 phone calls and then lied about it when I complained to the California Dept of Insurance...liars, thieves. Don't do business with them!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

After several years paying for AAA plus for our truck and trailer, today we needed them. We were told that because we are not in Texas, but instead in OK, our trailer is not covered for a flat. Seriously? Why have we been paying each year for this service?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

On Saturday morning I called and asked for a jumpstart! After a 15 minute wait (on hold) I gave them the address! Over an hour later I received a call asking if I was at the corner of Shea and Tatum in Paradise Valley? I had told them I was near the intersection of 65th Ave and Shea in Scottsdale and had given the exact address!!! Then he said he would be right there. I waited another hour! Although I have just had rotator cuff surgery and am not to lift over one pound, I removed the battery and took it to an auto repair shop myself. I should sue you people!!! At 1:19 pm I was left a text that he was there. My first call was a 10:40 AM. 100% WORTHLESS!!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Deplorable and Scary!! After 10 years too. Perfect driving record. And NEVER A CLAIM... I'm easy money! It appears the non properly trained reps are more interested in new cars and noncomplicated scenarios. Certainly can't multitask and never call back or stay with you through your inquiries or issues... i.e. Multi Vehicle. And if it requires a third party or taking notes, phone numbers and seeing you through... Good Luck. It is NOT HAPPENING!

These are different times, with lots of consumer options. Unfortunately AAA has fallen way behind in real customer service. A complete customer service overhaul and training is NEEDED. Did I mention their field offices are NOT a option, waited over 1 hour to be even approached in Santa Ann Canyon Office here in California. I did better at the local California DMV for my driver's license. Good Luck AAA... You're going to need it!

AAA expert review by Lauren Fix

Founded in 1902, AAA is a group of 69 affiliated motor clubs in North America. They have locations in every state and many countries. They offer 24-hour roadside assistance, including assistance for international members in the U.S.

• Trip planning tools: Premium plan holders get access to free trip planning tools through TripTik.

• Covers members, not vehicles: Members are entitled to roadside assistance services, regardless of the vehicle they are driving.

• Covers RVs in some states: Apart from covering rental vehicles, AAA also has coverage plans for RVs and trailers in some U.S. states.

• A huge network: The motor club has been around for more than 100 years, which gives it the advantage of having a vast network of service providers in place.

• Travel-interruption expenses: Premium members get travel-interruption reimbursements of up to $1,500 if their car breaks down during a vacation.

• International Travel: Passports and international license services are provided at their locations.

• Car Repair: Discounted auto insurance is available in many states as well as auto repair centers.

• Driver Training: A new driver training and insurance discount course are offered through AAA.

• Best for: AAA roadside assistance service is best for multiple-car owners as well as frequent vacationers.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

AAA - American Automobile Association Company Information