Best Payday and Title Loan Companies
Payday and title loans give borrowers quick access to cash. With a title loan, lenders place a lien on a car owner’s car title in exchange for a loan. Payday loans are short-term loans in which the lender gives you a cash advance on your paycheck. Both payday and title loans are meant to be short-term solutions to help get through a financial crisis.
Compare Reviews for Top Payday and Title Loan Companies
Read 1,812 Reviews
Obtain payday and title loans with maximum amounts that vary by state. Payday loans range from $255-$2,500 and title loans range from $300-$25,000. Check cashing and money orders also available.
Read 3,230 Reviews
Provides payday loans up to $1,800, which customers can receive the next business day. They also offer brokered installment loans up to $2,400, a savings program and access to free financial tools.
Read 2,341 Reviews
Consumers can get approved for car and motorcycle title loans up to $10,000 in about 30 minutes with no prepayment penalty. The company has been in business 15 years, has over 1,000 locations and offers competitive interest rates.
Read 182 Reviews
Offers title loans with max amounts that vary by state and vehicle make, model, year, and mileage. Max 30% APR. Find fast pre-qualification, same-day approval and easy online and mobile access. Also find prepaid cards here.
|Silver Cloud Financial||Read 185 Reviews|
This company offers tribal loans for people who need access to a short-term loan due to an emergency or financial hardship. Loans range from $300-$1,000. Apply online and get your funds the next business day.
|LoanMart||Read 456 Reviews|
Provides auto title loans with max amounts that vary by state, vehicle value and ability to repay. Also offers an Emergency Cash option with your auto title of up to $2,500, which is typically available in 24 hours or less.
|Check Into Cash|
Read 2,060 Reviews
Lender with 25 years in business offers payday loans up to $1,000 and title loans up to $25,000 with easy application process. Consumers can get funds the next business day. Installment loans and lines of credit also available.
Read 69 Reviews
Gives customers access to cash advances through their FLEX loan program up to $4,000 (not available in all states). Features paperless process and same-day or instant funding with bank participation. Also offers free bill pay.
|Cash Advance USA|
Read 260 Reviews
Get payday loans up to $2,500 with an approved online application. Offers instant approval and fast cash options with no credit check required. Free financial education also available on the company’s website.
|Advance America Cash Advance|
Read 337 Reviews
Supplies both payday and title loans online or at over 2,000 store locations. Amounts vary by state and vehicle specifics. Max payday loans range $100-$1,100 and max title loans range $300-$10,000.
Title Loans vs. Payday Loans: Which is right for you?
Both payday loans and title loans can offer a temporary solution to an urgent financial need. Payday loans are unsecured debt, typically for amounts of $350 to $500. Title loans go as high as $10,000 or more and must be secured by a vehicle.
- Title loans: Title loans are secured by your car title. The lender puts a lien on your car in exchange for the loan. With a typical title loan, borrowers pay off the entire loan, interest and any fees within a specified amount of time, usually 30 days.
- Interest-only payment title loans: These loans work similarly to traditional title loans, but their repayment strategy is different. With interest-only payments, borrowers first pay off the amount of interest on the loan. They are then required to pay off the amount of the loan in full. Interest-only title loans usually last for a longer period of time than traditional title loans. Be careful with this type of loan, as you may end up paying more than you actually borrowed and still not pay off the loan.
- Payday loans: Payday loans are priced at a fixed dollar fee, which represents the finance charge the borrower will pay. They are meant to be a short-term solution to help consumers get a quick and easy cash advance that they can repay when they get their next paycheck.
When deciding between a payday loan and a title loan, keep in mind that both come with high interest rates and fees. Both also come with significant consequences for failure to repay. Defaulting on a payday loan can result in a lawsuit and wage garnishment, and defaulting on a title loan can result in repossession of the debtor’s vehicle.
|Payday Loans||Car Title Loans|
|Type of debt||Unsecured||Secured with vehicle|
|Average loan amount||$350–$500||$1,000+|
|Fees||$15–$30 per $100 borrowed||Varies by lender|
|Repayment timeline||1–2 weeks||30 days|
|Common interest rate*||400% APR||300% APR|
|Extended repayment options||Loan can be rolled over to an additional period for a fine||Not usually available|
|Default consequences||Account sold to collectors, civil lawsuit, wage garnishment||Vehicle repossession|
*Interest rates vary based on state laws. Many states have maximum rates lenders are allowed to charge.
Considerations when choosing a payday lender
You’ll need proof of income and residency to qualify for a payday or title loan.
One benefit of getting a payday or title loan is that you don’t need to have good credit. There are, however, some standard requirements you must meet in order to qualify for a payday loan including a steady income and proof of address.
For a title loan, you’ll need to provide a clear title in your name. If you’ve ever had a lien on your vehicle, a lien release may be required with the title to process the loan.
Lending companies often charge people who take out a payday or title loan additional fees for the loan, which can add up quickly. It’s important to read all the fine print before deciding which payday or title lender to use. Get multiple quotes before deciding on a lending firm, and ask what additional fees you will be expected to pay.
- Processing and document fees: Lenders often charge borrowers fees for the paperwork required to get the title or payday loan.
- Late fees: Lenders frequently charge borrowers a late fee if repayments are late or documents aren’t exchanged on time. Make sure to find out what late fees are and on what date your payment will be considered late.
- Lien fees: Many lenders charge fees for processing and placing a lien on a car owner’s car. Some lenders only offer lien-free title loans.
- Finance fees: Payday lenders charge a finance fee upfront, which you include on your post-dated check. If you roll your loan over for an extended period, you will be charged this initial finance fee plus an additional finance fee. The fee will continue to grow until you finally pay off the full amount of the loan.
- Interest rates: Interest rates for payday loans can be as high as 400 percent APR and 300 percent APR for title loans. Lenders are required to tell borrowers the exact APR being charged to the loan before the borrower agrees to the terms of the loan.
Maximum loan amount
Title and payday loans are a quick way to get money, but the amount of money a borrower can access is usually very limited. Lenders often have a strict cap on the amount of money they will lend for both types of loans.
- 50 percent of car value: While the maximum loan amount varies, the amount a person can receive for a title loan is never more than half of their car’s value.
- One paycheck: Payday loans can be for any amount, but they are traditionally only written in the amount of one full paycheck (or less) so borrowers will have the money in their account when their check is cashed.
Length of loan
Title and payday loans are short-term loans, meaning borrowers get money fast but also have to pay back the amount they owe with interest in a limited amount of time. The length of time a borrower has to pay back their loan varies from lender to lender, but there are some industry standards.
- Title loan: A common amount of time allowed for title loan repayment is 30 days. Some lenders will give borrowers a longer time to repay their title loan. Often, these repayments are structured as interest-only payments.
- Payday loans: Payday loans are only for one pay period. You will set up this timetable with your lender, and they will cash your check after you get your next paycheck.
Payday loans questions
- Can you go to jail for not paying back a payday loan?
- No, you won’t go to jail for defaulting on a payday loan. Debt collection is a civil matter, not a criminal one, and it’s illegal for lenders to threaten borrowers with arrest or jail. However, if you’re sued for not paying back your loan and ignore a court order to appear, the judge can issue a warrant for your arrest.
If you can’t pay back your loan in full, work with your lender by offering to pay a percentage of what you owe to settle your debt.
- Can you get payday loans online?
- There are a lot of online payday loan companies that can get you the funds you need in less than a day. You can compare payday loan companies and read consumer reviews at the top of this page.
- How much will a title loan give me?
- The amount of money you can get from a title loan depends on:
- The value of your car
- Your state of residency
Most lenders won’t give you the full value of your vehicle, but you can expect to receive around 25% - 50% of your car’s value. Be aware that title loans have a short turnaround time, so only borrow what you’ll be able to pay back.
- How do I know if a loan company is legitimate?
- Here are a few ways to ensure that your loan company is authentic:
- There’s no upfront loan payment required
- They have positive consumer reviews
- They’re in good standing with the Better Business Bureau
- What are some alternatives to payday loans?
- If a payday loan isn’t right for you, check out these loan alternatives.
- Are there any guaranteed payday loans?
- Some payday loan companies promise guaranteed loans for people with bad credit history, but these loans are often accompanied by high interest rates and fees. If you need cash but your credit is less than ideal, check out these loan alternatives.
Expert reviews for payday & title lenders
Traditional Media Group (TMG) Loan Processing is a free online service that helps consumers qualify for title loans up to $50,000. They offer a fast turnaround time and easy online application so you can quickly access cash when you need it. TMG is not a direct lender, and the company specializes in matching consumers with auto title loan lenders.
LoanMart started as a single pawn shop in 1999 in Sherman Oaks, California. Today, the company has branches in California, Illinois and Arizona and services 11 states around the country. They specialize in auto title loans.
The first Speedy Cash store opened in Riverside, California in 1997 by three childhood friends from Wichita, Kansas. The company has since gone global, with operations in the United States, Canada and the U.K. They operate under the name Rapid Cash in Nevada, Washington and Oregon and as Cash Money in Canada.
Finova offers an alternative to title loans by providing qualifying consumers with a Car Equity Line of Credit (C-LOC) as an emergency loan. This gives consumers a reasonable way to get quick access to cash along with access to an ongoing line of credit with declining rates.
TitleMax was founded in Georgia in 1998 and is now one of the largest title lenders in the United States with more than 1,000 locations in 17 states across the United States. The company offers title loans and title pawns for cars and motorcycles.
Headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee, Advance Financial offers check cashing service, bill payment, wire transfers and high interest, short-term FLEX loans. Since 1996, Advance Financial has served the people of the Middle Tennessee area, and the company has expanded its business to offer services to clients in Idaho, Kansas, Utah and Missouri.
CashNetUSA is a payday lender that offers loans to consumers in the United States. It is a part of Enova International, Inc., a publicly-traded company in the financial sector.
CashCall, Inc. is a lender that opened in 2003. CashCall offers personal and business loans via the internet. CashCall has a reputation for having an easy application process, so those who qualify can get their cash fast. Its headquarters are in Orange, California.
MoneyLend.net does the hard work of researching lenders for consumers to provide them with the most accurate information they need to compare interest rates, types of lenders, fees and more. MoneyLend is able to match consumers to the best lender for them in all 50 states. Their lenders offer short-term and installment loans, and many have low APRs. They have information for those needing personal or business loans.
- State licensed lenders: All of the lenders that work with MoneyLend are state licensed, so you can rest assured they will meet all legal requirements.
- Easy comparison: The company shows potential borrowers their loan options in a chart, which allows for easy comparison.
- Educational info: MoneyLend has a helpful blog and financial educational information on their site to help customers make better financial decisions.
- Loan calculator: Figure out how much you can expect to pay on your loan by using MoneyLend’s online loan calculator. Simply input the loan amount interest rate and length of the loan for an accurate calculation of your monthly payment and the total amount of interest you will pay.
- Flexible loan amounts: Loans are available for $100 to over $30,000.
- Easy to search: Searching for a lender is easy on MoneyLend. Input the total amount you want to borrow and your state. Browse through the list of lenders in your state to find the one that best suits your needs.
- Best for: people with unexpected life or emergency costs and people who need a personal loan.
Silver Cloud Financial can provide you with a short-term loan to cover expenses in the event of an emergency or financial hardship. Apply online to get fast approval and funding on the next business day.
Approved Cash Advance was founded in 2004 and has 186 locations in six states. They offer a variety of short-term lending and financial services, including payday loans, cash checking, prepaid debit cards and title loans.
Compare Reviews for Top Payday and Title Loan Companies
|Ace Cash Express|
Read 401 Reviews
Payday loans in 8 states with max loan amounts $255-$1,500 and title loans in 7 states with max amounts $200-$5,000. Get cash instantly in-store or overnight with online applications. Offers 72-hour guarantee.
|TMG Loan Processing|
Read 82 Reviews
Apply online or by phone for an auto title loan. Max amounts vary by individual and vehicle equity, but could be up to $50,000. Same-day approval possible with funds available the next business day. Also offers business loans.
|Check 'n Go|
Read 197 Reviews
Supplies payday loans and installment loans in 17 states that are typically available the next business day. Max payday loan amounts vary by state and range from $50-$1,500.
Read 93 Reviews
Offers paperless application process available 24/7 online for payday advances between $100 and $5,000. Funds may be available as soon as the next business day.
Read 87 Reviews
Offers in-store payday loans in 10 states and online loans in Hawaii, California, Louisiana and Kansas. Max loan amounts range from $255-$700 depending on the state. Approved in-store applicants can get funds within one hour.
Read 21 Reviews
Supplies cash advances via installment loans up to $4,000 in 12 states, either online or in-store. Max amount varies by state. The money is deposited through a secure transfer, usually within 24 hours.
|Allied Cash Advance|
Read 49 Reviews
Get payday advances in-store or with an online application in 5 states. Max loan amounts vary by state and range from $50-$1,500. Get instant access to funds in-store or next business day with online approval.
|PLS Payday Loan Store|
Read 94 Reviews
This company no longer services loans. They offer other services, including check cashing, money order, bill pay and prepaid cards and phones.
Read 207 Reviews
Connects loan seekers with lenders offering payday advances up to $1,000. Apply using a secure online process. Funds are typically available the next business day. Free financial education is also available on the website.
|Approved Cash Advance|
Read 15 Reviews
Offers payday and title loans with immediate access to cash in store locations in Alabama, Michigan, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Virginia. Payday loans range $50-$500. Title loans range $100-$5,000.
|Fast Access Finance|
Read 6 Reviews
Offers borrowers in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta, Canada vehicle title loans of up to $10,000 CAD. Applications can be done online with approval within 24 hours and funds available within two business days.
|Amscot - The Money Superstore||Read 31 Reviews|
Find simple payday loans up to $500 with no credit check and possible same-day funds access. Other services include check cashing, prepaid MasterCards, bill pay services, free money orders and a free budgeting guide.
Read 38 Reviews
Connects consumers with lenders for payday loans up to $2,500, which may be available via direct deposit within 24 hours. Features a fast application process. Customers may get the lender’s decision within minutes.
Read 25 Reviews
Apply online for payday advances between $200 and $700 for first time customers. Repeat customers may be eligible for advances up to $1,000. Applications approved by 6:00pm EST receive funds the following business day.
|California Check Cashing Stores|
Read 23 Reviews
Loan products and max amounts vary by state. Choose your state to see whether payday or title loans or both are available. Over 500 locations available nationwide with online applications accepted in some states.
|One Click Cash|
Read 243 Reviews
Customers can get access to cash advances via short term loans with an easy online application available at any time. Applications approved before 2:30 pm CMT will receive the funds the following business day.
|Cash Today Ltd.||Read 39 Reviews|
Licensed credit provider supplies payday loans to Australian residents. Apply online and funds may be available the following business day by direct transfer. Approved loan amounts vary by applicant.
Read 22 Reviews
Provides short term loans with flexible repayment terms and an easy online process. Individual applicant factors determine max loan amounts. Customers approved before 2:30pm CST, will have the money the next business day.
|Broad Street Auto Loans|
Read 16 Reviews
Serves California residents with auto title loans with max amounts based on applicant and vehicle specifics. Offers fast, easy online application process, and if approved customers may have funds within hours.
Read 10 Reviews
Easy online and mobile process. Payday loans up to $500 for first time borrowers and up to $1,000 for repeat customers. Cash advances available in as little as one hour (next business day for weekend transactions).
|Cashland Financial Services||Read Reviews|
Serves customers in Ohio and Indiana at over 130 locations. Offers payday loans from $100-$1,140 in Ohio and $100-$605 in Indiana. Title loans from $500 to $1,500. Check cashing and gold buying at some locations.
|MoneyLend.net||Read Expert Review|
Refers borrowers to providers for payday loans and lets you compare different options at a glance. Loan amounts vary by state and applicant credit score. Can also connect customers with lenders for business loans and more.
|Instant Cash USA|
Read 92 Reviews
|Out of Business|
This company has gone out of business.
|Cash Direct Express|
Read 64 Reviews
|Out of Business|
This company has gone out of business.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.