Amscot - The Money Superstore

Amscot - The Money Superstore
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

Amscot - The Money Superstore Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amscot - The Money Superstore?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amscot?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

My husband and I took out an installment loan from Amscot. The first payment was made in person with cash. The following day the amount due cleared our checking account, therefore a double payment was made. Since they received the payment twice we expected our loan agreement to end one pay period early, however it didn't. When we called they said there wasn't any record of a cash payment and there wasn't anything they could do. They were not helpful. When I explained that I suspected something fishy going on with one of their employees then, they said they would "look into it." I would recommend paying with a check or keeping receipts if paid in cash.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I deposited 25k on a card at the advice of employees of Amscot in 2018. The card expires in 21 and yet my card is closed as inactive. After seeing strange activity I walk in amscot with card and requested a statement and informed employees of my suspicion. All that the employee said was you are broke. Gave me a statement that indicated a bal of 3k. My card inactive. No help or concern for me and my money. I wouldn't recommend amscot to the devil.

Get buying tips about Payday and Title Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I have been sending money and lot of them to Ivory Coast since I had this application. I was happy of the user friendly side of this app till I discovered this. I lose a lot of money sending money via this app than that just going to send it through the agency with AMSCOT. Let me explain. Recently I was going to send $1000 US to Ivory Coast currency CFA. So using the this application, for a $1000, the pay out in CFA is 506,207 CFA with $7 transfer fee. But at AMSCOT, for the same amount $1000, the pay out 546,189, which is a difference of 46,000 CFA = $90. That is a HUGE difference. I am uninstalling this app immediately because I am losing money, a lot of money. And have screenshots to prove it. Look at uploaded picture and receipts.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

This company operates in an incredibly outdated fashion. I had gotten a cash advance several months ago through one of their competitors (Cash Advance America) and it was so easy! I provided my bank info and the loan was deposited directly into my account the next afternoon. Then on my payday, the amount due was automatically withdrawn. I expected the same from Amscot. I couldn't have been more wrong. I went to an Amscot store and they required a physical check. So I drove home, and returned with my check. I had to write a check out and post date it, which was archaic, but acceptable. I postdated it for my pay date. Then they gave me cash with no option of direct deposit. So I had to drive to the bank to deposit it, which was a bit of a hassle, but doable.

Then payday came and I started getting calls from Amscot. The messages had no information whatsoever, just people saying "this is Amscot, if you have questions about your loan, please call." I had no questions as far as I was concerned. I got the cash, they had my signed and dated check. I thought the deal was done. But when the second call came with the same message I became curious. I called and the person I talked to asked when I was coming in to repay the loan!!

I told her I had postdated a check with the understanding that it would be deposited. It was Sunday, so she said the check would be deposited on Monday, which wasn't a problem since that is their normal timeline if they had known on Friday to go ahead and deposit the check. I told her that I discussed doing exactly that with the person that I talked to when I took the loan out, so I was surprised that it wasn't already done. She thanked me for clearing it up and I show that the check cleared on Tuesday.

Fast forward two weeks later. I was looking for a little extra money for Black Friday shopping, but didn't want to go through Amscot again because it was a hassle. But my application at the other company was declined because I supposedly had an outstanding loan with Amscot. I drove there and was told the loan was closed and I needed to contact someone to get more information. They needed the transaction number of my last loan. The person at the counter not only couldn't provide my own transaction number (?) but then asked me for a copy of my bank statement showing the loan is paid. Sorry, I am NOT emailing ANYBODY a copy of my full bank statement! Especially somebody who can't provide their customers with a receipt!!!!!

Then I was told the problem is that I "let" my check go to the bank. WHAT?! I thought that was the point, but evidently, I was supposed to go Amscot with cash and repay the loan. Otherwise loans are held open for 15 days. First, NOBODY - and I mean N-O-B-O-D-Y said a word about this. Second, two weeks??? For a local check to clear? And third, according to the guy at the counter, today is day 14. Why did he need to see my bank statement? What exactly was he planning on doing with it that would change things after 6:30pm on day 14??? That's when the entire process moved from ridiculous to shifty.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

They are such a shifty company.. I paid the loan back from 4 years ago. Was told I could get another cash advance at any time so I go in today and they process my info, pull out some money and then tell me they can't loan me anything because of delinquent history... I called the customer service number and the woman was rude as she could be. I asked for an explanation and I get, "You're a delinquent customer so we can't loan anything to you." I said, "Well that was from 4 years ago. How is it possible that causes an issue." False advertisement.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

This company likes to call and harass people, calling their jobs all the time, calling them all the time. Won't take any partial payment after the first time. It's such crap if someone is trying to pay on what they owe. It should be showing they are trying. If you harass a person at work all this does is compromise their job then take longer for you as a company to get paid. So ridiculous company. Don't do business with them!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

After spending about $1800.00 a year for approximately two years, for the convenience of cashing checks from out of state clients and not having to wait (as my bank hold funds while processing the check). I went into the Amscot located at Jacaranda and US 41 in Venice, Florida to cash a check for $5000.00. First I was told it would cost me 5% of the check's overall amount. Essentially $250.00. I asked them to call corporate or anyone capable of automoney. William an employee I have never previously encountered, placed the call. I asked for the check back when I was informed they wouldn't go lower than the 5%, this despite me being a stellar customer. I took the check and departed.

Sitting in my car the notion they were so greedy as to regularly cash checks close to the $5000.00 check @ 1% sank in and began to aggravate me. (Although those checks are payroll checks). I ventured back into the store and asked if William would call corporate and ask again if they would consider cashing the check at a more reasonable rate and to please provide me with the name of whomever he spoke to. He finally managed to speak to someone that said the best they could do was 5%. When I pressed the issue I was told that was the discount the regular rate is 10% on a trust account check. So just to be clear that's $500.00 in fees to cash a $5000.00 check.

I informed William I was willing to pay 2% which is still $100.00. The person he was speaking to on the phone asked what I was willing to negotiate to percentage wise. I again reiterated 2% and reminded them it was still $100.00 as opposed to me terminating all further financial business with Amscot. He said they didn't care. He hung up. When I asked if he got the name of the individual he spoke to he said he had and was under no obligation to give it to me. I again asked William stating I was asking a reasonable question about the name of the person so I could reference this interaction and provide a specific name and he again refused to supply me with the name. I walked out beyond frustrated and they lost a lucrative longtime loyal customer.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Amscot has been playing around with my money letting the other people charge me knowing that I only have a certain amount of money on my card and Amscot still lets other companies charge my account and leaves me in the negative. Amscot charges you to put money on the account charge a monthly and charge you in ATMs that say are free of charge. Worst experience I've ever had.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I visited the location on Memorial Boulevard in Lakeland Florida on April 4th. I paid my light bill and got a money order. I left out of the country. When I return home I received a notice of Disconnect because my light bill has not been paid. I go to Amscot to have them pull up my record of payment and no one wants to help me. They say that they have too many to go through and they can't find it. I called corporate which they are not being helpful at all. They claim that if I have the money order number they can look up my whole transaction.

Contact my landlord. I get the money order transaction number. I take it back to them. They still cannot find any record of my money order or my light bill so therefore I'm stuck paying my light bill again so instead of my hundred and 48th and now owe them $300. That is including the late fees. The people and the managers in Amscot were very rude and not helpful whatsoever raising their voice at me cursing at me. I plan to do a lawsuit of discrimination against them and I plan on taking every action to make everyone boycott Amscot in Polk County.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Purchased a money order. Money order sent and receiver said it was lost. Went back to Amscot to cancel the original money order. Yes, I have all the proper documentation and records including the receipt. Cannot do that on site. Go through the process of the money order being canceled and reissued. Now, I find out it's going to take 30 to 60 days. Wow. So we're absolutely positive the money order was lost. Absolutely positive that the money order wasn't cashed. And yet they won't re-issue a new one for 30 to 45 days. This is just unacceptable. There's a money order out there that has been lost and not cashed and yet they will not cancel that money order immediately and reissue a new one.

Amscot - The Money Superstore Company Information