2.77/5
Based on 48 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a payday & title loan lender?

Advance Financial

Currently serving customers in Alabama, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, Utah, and Tennessee.

Since 1996, Advance Financial has offered payday lending including FLEX loans, wire transfers, prepaid cards, bill payment and unlimited free money orders. Advance Financial’s 80+ storefront locations are open 24/7 for fast and convenient service. They have experienced steady success starting with only three stores in 1998, and growing to over 80 stores and 700 employees in 2016. Advance Financial is committed to helping customers achieve their financial goals.

Apply now and get a loan for up to $4,000 as soon as today!

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

48 Advance Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Ok, first things first, I went to Advance Financial and got a flex loan approved for $2,400. I asked the gentleman behind the counter what my payments will be each month because I'm disabled and have a very limited income. The gentleman told me that my payments will be $290 a month, so I told him that's not a problem, so I went ahead with the loan. My first payment was the quoted $290, so no problem. I then get an email that my next payment is $604, I about had a heart attack!! I promptly called and the first two people hung up on me, and I was very polite!

I then called and asked for a manager, and they only gave me a runaround. I told the woman that if I was told from the beginning that my payments would damn near triple I wouldn't of gone through with this loan. They told me from the beginning that my payments were going to be $290. So they need to live up to what they tell people. As it is now, I can't afford to pay any of my other bills nor can I even afford to buy food or pay my electric bill. They should be ashamed of themselves for lying and taking advantage of people as they've done to myself and many others.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I would give them a no star if could. This company is a true definition of a loan shark. My husband got a line of credit for $1000. We used maybe $800 was going in paying then they started pulling out our account. We kept calling to tell them we already paid. They told us there was no note that needed to be put on for them to not auto draft from account.

I then finally ask what was the payoff to leave us and our bank account alone. He told me $1800. I said how when we been paying basically double every week and his line of credit was only $1000. He said only like $15 dollars of the $200 payment was going to the balance of the loan due to interest rate which was like 200% every day we stopped paying. When we started struggling so bad ended up getting sued then started garnishment not on his check but instead froze our bank account that any and all funds that went in account was took until paid in full. No one at the bank or us has ever heard of a garnishment on a checking account. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST!!

Get expert buying tips about Payday and Title Loans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

This place is extremely dangerous. This business let someone open a loan in my name and now repayment is falling on me and I didn't take out this loan. I don't really have a way to pay back this overpriced loan. This place is very dangerous.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Please do not attempt to do business with this company; as you never get them paid off (unless you come into an extra 2000 or so, and who does that). The interest rate is sky high and the payments keep ballooning! I'm drowning in debt and misery due to this place!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Please don’t waste your time! They ask for so many important documents to be emailed but don’t give you a approval or denial! They just seek more information from you not knowing where these documents will end up!! So much runarounds wasted 4 days trying to get a application status but kept getting told to send more documents! Bank statements proved my income was way higher than applied for but they gave me the runaround to send in images of checks and statements and so many other documents but yet they couldn’t tell me if I was approved! Too many “hold for a minute while it’s being reviewed.” This place acts like if they are lending 20K+ plus loans to ask for too many documents!! With a interest rate of 240% they should feel pleased to approve customers who are in desperate need of a loan!! Never again!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Advance Financial?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

In a nutshell, approved for $2200 line of credit last March and have borrowed about 1600. They've been taking 260.00 every 2 weeks from our account since July, prior to that about 75 to 100 every 2 weeks. In all, we have paid over 2,200 on a 1600 loan. The kicker - our balance (they say) is 1900. What comes to my mind are the thousands of hard working people this company has ruined financially - at least for a period of time. The majority, if not all, of these people probably wouldn't have borrowed from this crooked, thieving company unless it was important. You know, like keeping a roof over their kids' head and food in their stomachs. Or repairing their car so they could get to work. Whatever the reason, everyone is already strapped financially and in the whole when they borrow - the company knows that. If a person borrows 1,600, I doubt they have 3x or 4x that amount to pay back.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I received a letter from them stating I was pre-approved for a flex 4000 loan. I applied on-line and was conditionally approved if I uploaded a blank check. I did. After that I was told I was declined. I called the company for an explanation and was told that I needed several other documents to be approved. I got those documents and e-mailed them. The following day I called for the status of my approval and they wanted actual award letters for any supplemental income. I asked if I would be approved if I did this and the guy on the phone said yes. I took off a half day of work to get this done. When I called a few hours later, I was declined! Don't waste your time with this crappy company! There are plenty of other companies out there that will not give you the runaround.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Ok, I got approved for a loan and I was making regular payments until my hours got cut at work. The card that I was using to make my payments with was not supposed to be on file at all. So I contact the company via email to let them know that my hours got cut but I'm willing to make a payment plan with them so they can still get paid. I got no response from them so, they take it upon themselves to run my card that I was making payments with without my permission. This card should have NEVER BEEN on file at all because I didn't put in my documents at all and the stupid rep which is some ignorant woman named Sherita wanted to argue with me about this transaction. She tells me basically that I should be braiding hair. I said, “Now you just said that because my name is ** and today I should start babysitting.” If I could've reached through the phone I would've.

If I'm saying hours with my job have been cut from 40 plus to 25 and I'm still willing to try and make some type of payment plan with you guys and you still want to put up some type of argument with me literally an argument now I'm at the point send it to collection because now all my accounts are closed and I don't give a damn when the company will get paid. Do not take a loan out with them because they have ignorant stupid workers who would rather argue than get their company paid. I told her if I never had plans on repaying my loan I would have never made one single payment for the start. I have literally repaid more than I even borrowed.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I had a great experience until I tried to change my banking information 3 months ago and they have been giving me the runaround ever since. I have spent hours on the phone with them just for them to be unhelpful and uncaring!!! Last month they tried to take my payment out of a bank account that I had told them 2 months prior was closed and they say it’s my fault even though I used the correct debit card to make my payment. Now they want me to pay an extra $300 in interest. The statement online doesn’t even match for what they say is due versus what the total pay off is. Worst company ever!!! STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Absolutely the worst financial decision I’ve ever made! I fell short one month, and was easily approved for a $4000 flex loan. Seemed harmless enough, I borrowed a small amount at first, but found that the minimum payments were biweekly and quite high, so I had to borrow more to cover my bills due to the large payment here. It snowballed. With a 279% APR, it’s incredibly difficult to pay back. My biweekly MINIMUM payments skyrocketed to $454 bucks every two weeks! I was finally able to pay off a large chunk of $2800 off the principal, and felt like I would finally get out from underneath this crippling debt...only to find out that my payment 2 weeks from tomorrow is STILL gonna be $408.34 (and that’s with only about $850 left on my principal balance). My payoff right now is still $1600- NEVER AGAIN will I do business with this CROOKED organization.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I had gotten a loan with them previously and asked about paying off my current one and getting another. She told me the best way to do it would be to not pay it off, but send in payment verification from my other job. I was told I’d get the increase that way. Now I’m being told they don’t approve more credit upon request. I’ve sent questions via email about it, but received the same generic response both times. I’m seeing now they probably wanted me to keep mine up to more than likely accrue a bigger balance.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I wanted to write this review in hopes to help someone to understand the fine print before they think a loan from AF is a good thing for them. I started with a loan of only $500. Got into a bind in life like everyone else. But felt the payment would be manageable to get back on my feet. First thing you have to understand is the more you borrow the more your monthly payment will be no matter what the beginning payment was. It WILL increase. If you make your payments on time they will increase your credit line (I went from $500 to $1400). And when the payment went from $126 to $424 overnight and making that payment only putting $100 towards the loan. It's not worth it. Do not borrow any more if you want your payment to stay the same. Also in their fine print they have it that once you link your account and a payment is missed they will pull it from your account.

The auto-enroll button on the site means nothing. They will still pull your account. Also they will call you everyday with different numbers to get that missed payment. The increase in the monthly payment and the high interest is not worth it if you just trying to get back on your feet. It will bury you further in debt very quickly. Also they do not accept American Express or any other payment option that does not link to your bank account. They also have issues reporting the correct amount you have borrowed and your credit line. So if you looking for a loan you can pay off in a month fully plus interest then this is for you. If you need more time, well choose another company. I hope this help someone before they decide.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I live in the Los Angeles area -- had no problems applying for a line of credit. I called customer service to clarify a few points that were not clear. They charge $0.77 per hundred dollars per day. For a $300 loan, I will pay interest of $2.31/day or $16.17/week. They have a very liberal 60 day period before the first payment is due. Warning!! At $2.31/ day for 61 days (30 day month #1 & a 31 day month #2) the amount owed will be $300 + $140.91 interest or $440.91. Your payment will only be $76. See how easy it is to get in over your head. All this is explained, either on the site or in the loan docs. It is not fair to claim that you did not know the conditions of the loan. Every loan available today for people with poor credit are exactly the same conditions. This is why they are called "High Interest" loans.

As for multiple payments being taken from your checking account -- that will happen if you have missed multiple payments. That is also explained in the loan docs and signed by you. Easy enough to stop it - call your bank and place a stop payment on the company. Cost you $30. I suggest you only pull small loans and pay them back ASAP. In comparison -- if you go to Speedy Cash and take out a $255, the payback is $300 in 31 days. That calculates to $1.45 per day interest X 31 days = $44.95 interest + $255 principal = $299.95. You go to Advance Financial and borrow $255 - you are paying $1.925 interest X 31 days = $59.68 + $255 = $314.68.

Original review: May 21, 2018

So I went into AF to get a loan. The lady that was doing my loan was very pleasant but I was very unsatisfied with the outcome. I have over 1600$ a month in income and was only approved for a 100$ loan due to me having issues logging in on my bank account site. I was told once I log in and give the CSR the information my loan would be a larger amount. Every time I call to talk to someone about they pretty much say it's nothing that they can do. It's not fair to me at all. It's not my fault. I gave the information. She said she would wait but didn't wait. Now I only have this 100$ loan. After I pay it back I won't go back there. It's unfair and I'm very upset about it.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Like you & many others, I went through Advance Financial for temporary help. It was a small loan that was overall harmless. My finances changed & I missed a payment. If you ever miss a payment, it's game over. You might as well close your bank account. In the loan agreement it states they can debit your account repeatedly to recover missed payments. "You authorize us to re-initiate any debit entry additional times for the same amount if the debit entry is dishonored." I missed just one payment. So, they started debiting my account repeatedly.

As of now, my bank is -$695.79. They'll try their best to catch you on a payday. Thankfully, I had another bank account. I basically abandoned the account & started using my other. (Always have a backup account) I started out with a $400 loan & now have an outstanding balance with them of $1,165.95. Don't ever borrow from these people for any amount. They're banking on the fact that you'll need to borrow again before you've even paid off your 1st loan. Then, they've got you.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I don’t usually write reviews this negative but this place by far is the worst at customer service. I was asked to send in documents. I sent them all in. I was told I’ll receive a call back shortly regarding the loan. Nope. No call nor email. I been calling and emailing all night just to finally hear my loan was denied. Said they needed bank statements and I already sent them bank statements. The gentleman said, "Oh well you were denied." I honestly think this place is a ripoff. It just sucks that I sent in so many important documents. I will be calling my bank to get a new account. Pls if you need a loan ask every member in your family go anywhere but this horrible place!!!

Original review: March 17, 2018

I was approved online for 2000 and have used the credit often. I live in Va so read all the term prior to borrowing money. I currently bring home 750 a week and if a bill is due before I get paid I will use money from my AF247 account which is instantly transferred to my bank via my debit card. When I get paid at work I use the same credit card to pay them back and never have paid any interest for using the money responsibly. If you borrow money and only pay back the monthly minimum you will pay high interest for the money.

Make sure you read the terms and even if you're approved do not use more than you can pay back within 1 or 2 paydays. I read through the negative reviews on here and laugh because you borrow the money and complain because you pay minimum payments and the interest is a lot. Then you leave negative feedback. There is a reason your credit sucks and you have to get a payday-style loan. AF247 is a great tool to help you pay bills on time but don't borrow anything if you can't pay it back within the grace period.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I borrowed 3700$ in small quantities over two months. I have paid over 2k in interest. I paid 2900 yesterday. How do I owe 1500$? It is ridiculous. They need to be investigated. They are taking advantage of people that simply need a little advance every now and then. How is people suppose to pay this off when they keep jacking the price sky high. It's a shame!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I went to Advance Financial to get a loan for 400. Well conditions are not explained to consumer and percentage rates and fees are astronomical. The interest rate is 265 percent and .7 percent fees added daily! That's right daily. 3 months later paying to month I now owe 800 dollars. Never missed a payment. I called on Thursday to find out my pay off. When I get there Friday it was 30 dollars more the next day.

Please if you are strapped for cash or have an emergency do anything but this horrific flex loan. I'm just trying to warn consumers. And why do they have to be open 24 hours? I will tell you why! They are catering to druggies that run out of money then in the middle of the night go running out to get more money. How pathetic is that. These people are legal, I don't know why loan sharks. Please write your congressman, governor or anyone else that will listen. I would give minus stars if I could. I'm paid off! Don't ever do this

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Went to Advance Financial in Clarksville to cash a 28.00 class action lawsuit settlement check, presented ID and check (left it as it was received in the mail) my physical address was on check, on front of envelope (pull tab check) and on my D.L and they all matched to the letter! Employee asked me what kind of check it was. I stated it was a Class Action Lawsuit “SETTLEMENT” check... remember she asked me! She called over her co-worker to get her advice on how to “categorize“ the check and then she scanned it and sent it to the “historical Wedgewood” for verification. Process complete (I’m at this point standing at the window). She opens her drawer and tells me it was a $5.00 fee for cashing this $28.00 check (charged 17.9%) and proceeds to hand me $23.00!

I get to thinking about it and based on this businesses fee schedule this very easily could have been charged a percentage (%1-6) instead of the maximum $5.00 fee on a small $28.00 check... When I questioned her about the high charge to cash this check she told me that she had nothing to do with that and the verification process determines the fee. REMEMBER she asked me what type of check it was! So DON’T try to tell me that this employee had absolutely no input to determine the fees and lead someone to believe that this businesses call center dictates fees!

How does a company RETAIN customers for any longer past their initial visit with such a high fee on a meager 28.00 check that could have been charged 1-6% vs. 17.9%? BEWARE! In closing I looked up AF website under job openings and their CUSTOMER RETENTION SPECIALIST’s job description is basically to contact customers with friendly payment reminders and assistance in making their payments... I DIED LAUGHING! What exactly does that have to do with “RETENTION”? Has more to do with ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT/COLLECTIONS.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I am a person that doesn't usually write reviews. I in this case had to speak on the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. Most of the employees I spoke with were very rude and distasteful. I sent in 3 documents to verify my bank account and over a 3 day period was still being prompted for more. Every time I spoke with an employee it was a matter of if I just send one more document I will be done and processed. This is the worst company I have ever experienced and I did all the work online myself applying. If you want results in Jackson, TN... please go to Check Into Cash on Vann drive. It is pleasant, fast, and customer service values exist.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

My friend I helped search and find a place to get a flex loan. Took her and she was approved on disability so I decided also to apply online and it straight up told me I was denied and I get more income than she does plus I get extra 320 a month in plasma money. I wouldn't of had any problem paying payments back as promised but they didn't even give me a chance. I have a Wells Fargo secured card. Been paying on for 3 years. Never late. Plus a cash advance for 2 years been paying off and rewriting at Advance America. Never late. But this place plain denied me. No chance at all. Very unhappy with them.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Advance 24/7 is nothing more than a predatory loan. A shark in the water, so to speak. Unless you want your account completely drained, of over 1,000.00 dollars, at a time. Stay clear! They will take 3-4 payments AT A TIME, on the same day! Even when you have not authorized automatic payments! The interest rates are over 250 percent. They do not care, at all, if you've lost your job and they clear your account, month by month. Leaving you with not a single dollar, to your name. Please, heed my warnings and stay far away from this company as you can! I've only left a single star, because no stars isn't an option!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Poor customer service. Lack of communication with customer. I feel like it's false advertisement. I sent all required documents and different representing saying different thing each time I call. Never again!!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Called today to specifically pay off my principal balance of 2411.84 which continues to accrue a ridiculous amount of interest. Something that they do not disclose up front. The customer service representative assured me that this will only leave me with the interest and I would not accrue interest on interest. Cool! It is crazy to make a $652 monthly payment and only $72 is going toward the principal. Well after taking my payment, the customer service rep. came back to tell me that not all of the payment went toward the principal balance because I had a payment due today. It should not matter what was due today... My principal balance is the principal balance.

My principal balance and the interest as of today was included in the pay off. I requested that my payment today all go toward the interest and just like in May when they took an additional payment out of my account after I made a payment in the store. (The Manager was good about adjusting the account!) People go to these places as a last resort and this place is taking advantage of the working community. 279.50% interest rate... how could this be? This is not right!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

This company has made me physically nauseous and I'm left wondering what in the world am I going to do! I've had this loan for a very short time and have paid over $1,800 in what's called "Customary Fees". It's not the interest that hurts, it's the fees. This past month, since I've borrowed $2,500, I've paid almost $700. My payoff is $2,900! I don't know how this could be happening! I spoke to a representative who was nice enough, but left me wondering how I'm gonna get this paid! I'm at a loss! I don't know what I'm going to do?

Original review: May 26, 2017

My experience with Advance Financial has been greatly appreciated. Prompt customer service response and a welcome environment mean a lot to me. There is always a friendly face every time I visit and my business is with Advance Financial has always been accurate and quick. Thank you so much for being a company that I know I can depend on to meet any financial needs that I may have or may need in the future! I highly recommend your services to everyone I know!

Original review: May 26, 2017

Miss Shaniqua was very friendly. Loan was simple, fast and easy. It took maybe 15 minutes. Super glad that it comes out of my bank account. By coming out of my account, I don't have to worry about being late. And I also get all my money orders too. Everyone is very nice!

Original review: May 26, 2017

Overall, I have been happy with my experience at Advance Financial. I have found the staff to be very competent and professional. They are always very helpful and polite. I also like that there many locations around Davidson County which makes it very convenient to conduct my business while I am out and about.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Thought I was getting a loan, with easy payments, instead I got a loan that just keeps going up with fees, charges. Can't pay 800 dollars every two weeks, they won't change the payments. Advance Financial does nothing but put you back in debt. They overdrafted my bank account several times costing me more money. They constantly call and harass you from 6 different numbers. Pathetic crooked organization.

Advance Financial expert review by Lauren Fix

Headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee, Advance Financial offers check cashing service, bill payment, wire transfers and high interest, short-term FLEX loans. Since 1996, Advance Financial has served the people of the Middle Tennessee area, and the company has expanded its business to offer services to clients in Idaho, Kansas, Utah and Missouri.

• FLEX loans: Advantage Financial does not offer payday loans. Instead, the company provides FLEX loans, which are open-ended lines of credit up to $4,000. Clients can repay these loans in small payments.

• Online loans: Though Advance Financial has multiple brick-and-mortar locations, the company offers its FLEX loan services online in Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Utah.

• Free bill-pay and money orders: Advance Financial offers free bill-pay at all locations. It also offers free money orders with no limit to the number customers can get.

• NetSpend prepaid cards: Advance Financial’s NetSpend MasterCard and Visa prepaid cards can be used anywhere Mastercard and Visa are accepted.

• Check cashing: Advance Financial will cash any type of check as long as the customer has a valid photo ID. Rates vary based on the type of check the customer is cashing.

• Best for: customers who need short-term loans, check cashing services or money orders.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
    Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Advance Financial Company Information