4.7/5 (453 ratings)

About TitleMax

TitleMax is one of the largest title lending companies in the nation. TitleMax offers car and motorcycle title loans and pawns at competitive rates. It strives to provide a superior level of customer service as it helps thousands of people get the cash they need with a title loan. The company has thousands of convenient locations.

Pros

• Receive up to $10,000
  • Get funds in as little as 30 minutes
  • No bank account required
  • No credit score requirements

Cons

• Pawns only available in Georgia
  • Loans only available in 16 states

Bottom Line

TitleMax offers title and personal loans with easy applications. Customers receive funds quickly, and the company has loan specialists that help clients find out how much money they can borrow.

Top TitleMax Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

When I reached out to TitleMax, they helped me that day. Their overall lending process was really smooth and fast. I even paid that debt back off. My lending officer ... was reall...

Verified

TitleMax's lending process was great and took about half an hour. Erica, the rep, helped me a lot and answered all my questions, which was why I’m happy with it. It was a great ex...

TitleMax Title Loans

TitleMax car and motorcycle title loans are available in 16 states. Unlike many other loan options, you don’t need a good credit score or a bank account to qualify for a title loan. While the qualifications differ by state, the basic TitleMax title loan requirements include:

• A paid-off car or motorcycle with the title in your name
  • Proof of income
  • A government-issued ID

All makes and models of cars are eligible as collateral, and you get to keep your car while you pay off the balance of your loan.

To get started with TitleMax, head to its website and fill out its quick loan application. To find out how much money you’re eligible for, you need to provide basic information about your vehicle, including the year, make and model.

TitleMax prides itself on getting you the cash you need as quickly as possible. You can get your title loan funds in as little as 30 minutes or within one business day. TitleMax bases your loan amount on the following factors:

• State regulations
  • How much you need
  • The value of your vehicle

Depending on your state of residence, you could receive up to $10,000.

TitleMax Personal Loans

TitleMax offers personal loans up to $2,500. These loans are unsecured, so while they’re typically for small amounts, you can apply for them without collateral. To apply for a TitleMax personal loan, visit its website and fill out the personal loan application with the following information:

• Name
  • Cell phone number
  • ZIP code
  • Email address

TitleMax Universe Silver Deposit Accounts

TitleMax created the Universe Silver deposit account as an alternative way for customers to receive funds. This account gives you no-fee cash withdrawals at Visa Plus Alliance ATMs and access to your account through the TitleMax app. Other features of the TitleMax Universe Silver deposit account include:

• Card gallery images to customize your card
  • Freeze card feature in case your card is lost or stolen
  • Pay your bills or shop online with your secure Visa debit card
  • No bank teller withdrawal fees

It’s important to note that you must meet the eligibility requirements to get access to these exclusive benefits. TitleMax only promises these benefits to account holders who receive at least one recurring deposit of more than $500 every 35 days.

For customers who receive at least one recurring deposit of $500 every 35 days, TitleMax has the Direct Deposit Plus account. Benefits include:

• No monthly account fee and limited transaction fees
  • Optional overdraft protection with montly direct deposits of $500 or more
  • Low overdraft fees if account not cured in 24 hours, and only four overdraft fees a month

TitleMax FAQ

How long do you have to pay back a TitleMax loan?
TitleMax loan payment plans range from 30 days to several months, depending on your loan contract. TitleMax’s loan specialists work with you to create a payment plan that fits your needs.
How much can you borrow from TitleMax?
You could be eligible to borrow up to $10,000 from TitleMax, depending on your state of residence. Familiarize yourself with your state’s title loan regulations to find out how large of a loan you can receive.
What happens if you default on a TitleMax title loan?
Defaulting on a TitleMax loan could result in repossession of your vehicle.
Can I refinance my loan with TitleMax?
Yes, TitleMax offers loan refinancing services for title loans. It generally will refinance any loan that already has 20% of principal paid.
Does TitleMax check your credit?
Yes, TitleMax looks into your credit before offering you a title loan, but the company states on its website that customers with bad credit are still eligible to receive funds.

Is TitleMax legit?

TitleMax is one of the largest lending companies in the nation. It serves thousands of customers every day online and at its more than 1,000 locations. The company processes applications quickly and disburses funds within one business day, which is helpful for people who need money to handle an emergency expense. If you need cash and fit all of its criteria, check out TitleMax’s website to apply for a personal or title loan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TitleMax?

Original review: July 18, 2022

My mother-in-law recommended TitleMax to me because she said that it was a fast and easy way to get money. Even though the interest rates are high, it was a good option since I needed it right then and there. I went in and I got the money for my rent. The rep I had was sweet and I liked her. They said that if I told them who referred me, that person would get the $50. I referred my mother-in-law because she's been with TitleMax before too. She went to pick up the $50 at that store that I went and she had a bunch of issues with the card. We were supposed to get a piece of paper that had the PIN in it and that paper wasn't in there. There were a lot of complications with getting the card set up. My mother-in-law lives all the way on the other side of town and she had to drive all the way to my side of town to go do that. There was a lot of hassle for her.

That aside, the process as well as getting started with the loan wasn't an issue for me. It was very simple. The process took an hour and it was just because there were two other people that walked in after me. The rep was trying to help both of us as fast as she could. The waiting time wasn't that big of a deal as I was there for a reason. In the end, I'm caught up now so that way I could pay my stuff. I recommended Titlemax to two people. One of them already went three days ago and I got a $50 card because I referred her.

Get buying tips about Payday and Title Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 27, 2022

I needed emergency money so I did a car title loan with TitleMax. My rep was really good and the process took 45 minutes. I was pretty much prepared because I called in. I took everything with me when I went there just in case such as my Social Security and a copy of my lease. The rep right away did my paperwork. Right when I was about to walk on, she said she got an approval.

She told me, she was, “This is the day you will have to pay. And if you don't, you can just pay this much. And you can just pay it with your debit card. Instead of coming by the office, you can do it on your app, or call us... If you want to pay everything off, this is the amount. But if you come in the office, we’ll give you your title right there. But if you do it over the phone and pay everything off, you have to wait about three days. And then you can come pick up your title.”

There was only one thing I was confused about. You tell them this is how much you need then you get approved for a higher amount. For example, they approved me for 1,750 and I only needed 1500. It says that I have 200 cash and I don't know what they do with the other money. I don't know if I was able to use it or not. That aside, I’m gonna refer TitleMax to some people because I have friends that really need money. I had a good experience in getting things done and they didn't charge me much.

TitleMax response

Thank you for the amazing feedback Maria! We are happy you had a great experience, let us know if you need anything else.

Original review: May 1, 2022

The TitleMax offices here have to have your proof of income. I lost my job a few months ago and I just started working again. I haven't gotten my first paycheck from my new job, so I don't have that proof of income yet. I was really scared and discouraged when I went to the first TitleMax office. The rep said, "No, ma'am. Don't fret. We have another office. It's right outside the city limits. They do not go by proof of income because that's only because we're inside the city limits." Once she told me that, it was like a weight was lifted off my chest. My rent was due before I get my first check, and I was really concerned about whether or not we were going to be able to cover rent this month. The rep sent us out to the other office that's just right outside the city limits, and they helped me a lot.

I try not to get my hopes up because I've been told no so many times lately. We're struggling and we wouldn't take the title loan out otherwise. When I went into the office, the reps were very friendly. I had to take my ID, and we had to bring the vehicle so they could get pictures of our vehicle and the title. They're holding my title. The lady that helped us was extremely informative and it went very smoothly compared to what I went in there expecting to experience. It was a breath of fresh air and I was very pleased. The process was almost an hour but the paperwork was very speedy. It took 20 minutes tops. Most of the time we were there, the lady was getting pictures. She had to get a lot of pictures of the vehicle. I would tell my friends to go to TitleMax and to go to the one we went to.

TitleMax response

Thanks for sharing, Tiffany! We are glad we could help.

Original review: March 14, 2022

The application process was fast, and it was not too complicated or frustrating. There were no questions, and the information they needed, I had there with me in my car. My debit card just expired and I thought I would have to get the card that they have, but since their card has certain rules, I was like, “My card, I didn’t bring it." I was needing the loan right there and then. I didn't have time to go and get my new debit card that had just gotten mailed in. I was like, “You know what? I had just went to go check my mail not long ago and I think I still have it in the car." I haven’t been needing my debit card like that, so I hadn’t even taken it out the envelope yet. I went to go check, found it and brought it in.

On top of how fast the process went, the rep was very friendly, also the other lady that was in there. They were both trying to be very helpful, and they had a lot of hospitality compared to the other title loan place I went to before that time. The very nice TitleMax lady said she had to send in the information to another office, and while she was waiting for that response, she said, “There's coffee. There's some candies, some chips. Help yourself to some while you're waiting.” I hadn’t eaten in a couple of hours, and I was hungry. The other title loan place didn’t have that. It was nice of TitleMax. It makes you feel a bit better just in case you haven't eaten in a while and you can't even think right. TitleMax is very different with everything. I would definitely recommend them.

TitleMax response

Thank you, Melinda! We appreciate your business and are glad you had a pleasant experience.

Original review: March 3, 2022

I went to LoanMax and CASHPOINT, and they were rude, snotty, and didn't want to answer any questions whereas TitleMax was so nice. Their reps were so amazing. I asked so many questions and I felt sorry for Al that first night. He stayed past 6:00 answering all my questions. I was extremely impressed with that. I had one question which neither one of them knew, and they were both on the phone before I could even try to reword it, trying to find the answer for me. The application itself only took five minutes but the picture-taking was what made it longer. They kept saying that there was too much of a glare but the rep was so patient and kind. She didn't get frustrated or show it at all if she did.

The most that the other 2 companies would do was a $500 title loan and if I was gonna pay that much in interest, then I wanted something bigger than $500. TitleMax was able to get me what I needed and wanted. I wanted 2,500 and the initial offer was 1,700. She rejected that offer but came back with a 2,000 offer right away. It made it feel like I was working with an actual bank and lender versus just a piece of paper that needs to have a lien on it type situation. Their process was extremely easy and so pleasant that I would recommend them to anyone. TitleMax, hands down, would fit for anybody and relieves so much stress.

TitleMax response

Thanks, Janice! We appreciate your business and are glad you had a pleasant experience.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I had a wonderful experience from the time I walked in. Mrs. ** was very inviting warm and knowledgeable about the information that I needed to receive from her. Just a great experience all around. Thank you Riverdale, GA.

Original review: July 31, 2022

The process with TitleMax took probably about 20 minutes just because I had to get bank statements. It wasn’t bad. I wasn't expecting to get the money that quick since usually, big companies are always all over the place. The rate is good. It’s only $100 for the payment.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I’ve been dealing with TitleMax for about six years. The application process was pretty easy and quick every time. Customer service was great. They were all polite and they knew what they were doing. They explained the details to me. I only wish I would have saved a lot more money. I took out a $700 title loan and I ended up paying about 6,000 back. I didn't understand that.

Say I borrowed 700 on a title loan. Maybe I’ll just get all the 700 back and have it for six months and TitleMax makes an extra 800 to 1,000 on it, instead of everybody having to pay that extra $5,000. They are still gonna get their money back plus an extra 800 to 1,000. Not everybody is gonna be able to pay the loan back all at one time so all they do is keep adding on and adding on until you pay it off. I’ll never go get a title loan again. That aside, everything was good. I just got a loan for $450 and TitleMax only charged me $173 interest. They take that out of my bank so that's fine.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I went to a title loan place right up the street and their interest rate was very high. I then stopped by TitleMax and their interest rate was lower so I chose them. The interest rate was fine for me, taking into consideration the type of loan it is. I did a car loan. Their rep was excellent and he gave me a lot of information. The process took 30 minutes. And because the systems was down, the rep was explaining other stuff about the loan. He was very talkative and kept me occupied while we did everything. He also gave me information that usually I don't get, like how to pay it down quicker and things of that nature.

Taking the pictures was the longest process and I understand why. They wanted to make sure everything is correct and they checked on the condition of the vehicle. The loan processing, on the other hand, didn't take as long as him taking pictures. I just had my ID, proof of identification, and title. The only thing is TitleMax should have a few more workers. There were only two workers there and some people were waiting. That aside, the two workers were multitasking and working together so they got everybody out.

Original review: July 25, 2022

I tried TitleMax and we got everything situated. Their rep was pretty good. At the time, the iPad that she had kept messing up so she had to go through the other one. We had to do the pictures over. She definitely took her time because the service kept going in and out on the equipment she had. She finally got everything together. Other than that, the process was really quick and easy. The experience was awesome.

TitleMax Company Information