ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.51/5

TitleMax is one of the largest title lending companies in the nation. TitleMax offers car and motorcycle title loans and pawns at competitive rates. It strives to provide a superior level of customer service as it helps thousands of people get the cash they need with a title loan.

TitleMax has thousands of convenient locations and can help you obtain your next car or motorcycle title loan.

TitleMax Video
View More View More

TitleMax Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

My cousin used to talk about TitleMax before he passed. He said that they are a good place to deal with because even though you get a title loan from them and you're paying it, you can go back and pay them out early. And once you pay them out early, they will deduct the interest off, while most title loan companies don’t wanna deduct the interest off.

I filled out the paperwork then they went through the procedure and took a picture of me to let the man also know that it was me inside the office getting a title loan. They also took a picture of the car and let me know the interest rate. They said, "If I keep the loan for the whole three years, that’s the amount you pay, but if you pay it off early, the interest rate will go down and once you pay it off, that’s it.”

The lending process took about 20 minutes. The manager handled my account, but she had a phone call. After she got through with her phone call, she came back. And after we went through it, she told me how to download the app and said that I could use the app or come to the office to make my payment. She said that a lot of people come in, get money, then come back in 90 days and pay TitleMax out. But if I wanna keep the loan for three years or for six months, it's up to me.

Get expert buying tips about Payday and Title Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

TitleMax is in the neighborhood. I saw the building and I chose to go with them because of the location. But I went in twice and they were pretty busy. I didn't know if anybody was at the front desk and I waited for about 10 minutes but nobody came to the front. The very first time I went in, they were very accommodating and very helpful, but I decided not to do the loan at that time. Then I went back and that was when it looked like there were four guests but nobody was at the desk. They looked understaffed with three or four in line in front of me. So, I came back and there was another person in front of me there but once I sat down with somebody, the process was super quick.

I got a title loan and it took 20 minutes to complete the process. I gave them my driver's license, some personal information like my address, my income and expenses as well as the title itself. Then they took pictures of the vehicle but they did not have to drive it. All in all, they were super nice and the rep who assisted me was a super great guy. Also, working with TitleMax was a pressure release valve for me. As a small business owner, it really helps in a quick pinch for that cash, so the loan helped quite a bit.

TitleMax response

Thanks Mark, we appreciate your feedback. We are always trying to improve and learn from past experiences and would like to learn more about your recent visit with us. Please feel free to reach out to us at 1 (800) 804-5368 so that we can get more details about your situation. From there we can contact the appropriate parties and work through any issues.

Original review: May 3, 2019

A friend of mine told me that their relative had a good experience with TitleMax. I just got a small loan because I needed some work done on my car. TitleMax was awesome and unbelievable. I provided them with a copy of the released lien paperwork, a copy of the lien itself, and my driver’s license. The reps were so great, and patient because when I came in there, I thought I had a regular title, but all I had was the lien release and that wouldn’t work. Then they pulled up a picture and said that was what I needed, and I knew I had that somewhere too. Filling out the paperwork was so easy and so great that I could do it myself, then the rep took over after I was all done. I got approved for the loan in a couple minutes, but it seemed like seconds.

It was such a relief to be able to work with TitleMax because I just went through a nasty divorce and paid all these attorney fees. My ex-husband left me with nothing, moved in with his girlfriend, and took all my savings. Then I found out when we were selling our house that it had a lien, so I had to use all my savings to pay that. I was just starting a job and I just moved into a condo. I lost my bid on my house because I ended up with hardly anything and just enough to move in to my new house. The only consolation that I have is that I was able to get that loan because, if not, I wouldn’t have had the ability to get my car fixed.

The lending process was so easy once I got everything I needed. The only reason why I struggled was because I just recently moved, so I was a little discombobulated. But to be able to have the flexibility to go through that emergency was such a relief after moving, the divorce, and custody. You really need to have TitleMax as an option if you have an emergency. I love them.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I never got a loan before so I was a little nervous. TitleMax was close to my house so I went there just to inquire but I felt really comfortable with the representative who helped me so I ended up staying in there. I have very minimal sight right now so she walked through things with me and explained the whole process before we even did it. I asked questions as far as my vehicle and how it would go with the loan. She answered the questions clearly and gave additional information. She was pretty detailed and I felt like there wasn’t anything hidden. There were no gray areas which is what I liked. I like it bold, straight and forward.

TitleMax's process was easier than I thought. I just got out of the hospital and needed to move rather quickly because of a respiratory problem that was the result of where I was living, so she’d seen the urgency. I needed it because the opportunity that I had to move where I am now moved into would have been definitely taken by someone else if it was on the market any longer.

I also wanted to be discreet as far as the amount goes and she caught on that quickly. My three children were there and I didn't want more information to be shared than needed to out loud. So when we started talking, all the way down to when I was approved, she was pretty discreet about it, as well as with what I was approved for and how to go through it. However, it would have been nice if the cost was a little bit lower.

She also assisted with the application by doing everything electronically and explained thoroughly each step of the way of what was being done like taking pictures of my vehicle to what it was for. Then, there was another employee there who distracted my kids a little bit while I was taking care of finalizing some things.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I Googled title loans and TitleMax was the first one that came up. Once I clicked on the website and started looking at the rates, all I needed to apply seemed pretty easy. So, I just went in person and it was the easiest process I’ve ever been in as far as title loans, getting through them, and them just being helpful and very informative are concerned.

I had to take my vehicle in so they can inspect it -- they looked at the mileage and looked at the damage to it if there was any. Then from there, they gave me a price range to what my car could qualify for. Then once I picked the amount of loan I would like, then that was when we started talking about numbers and how much it would be a month. From there, once we set a rate and an amount, then I went ahead and just set up the application, and that only took 10 minutes. Shortly after that, they printed out the check for me and then they just went over the final guidelines to the loan as to when I have to pay it off and all the fees that are already included with the amount. The process took under probably an hour.

The lending processor was very nice and informative. I have never done a title loan before, so I wasn’t too sure what to expect going in, but she was very good at just explaining everything every step of the way, just keeping me in the process and not making sure I’m confused or I don’t know what I’m doing. TitleMax has helped me pretty well. I just needed a short-time loan and they were very cooperative as to helping me and understanding things. I wanna get the best rate possible if I can as to what I can afford and they were very understanding with that. As to like a couple other places that had talked to me, they just weren’t very negotiable with rates. It's convenient and very easy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TitleMax?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
    Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

They offer a quote online to give the customer a fairly close estimate of their car loan value, but when you go through the whole process you will find out that bottom line, they pull your credit so basically you are borrowing on your credit and throwing a car title in there more as a freebie for them to gain on if you don't make your payments. The actual blue book value of my car is $4,500, so with them only loaning me $700, if I default they get a really sweet car out of it and only losing $700.

The loan process when I got all the paperwork together took a whooping 4 hours to complete!!!! It's not until you set through all of the processes and finally get to the end of the 4 hours that you hear what they are offering. They said my credit pulled at 200. There is no way this is factual. I checked all three and although because of law school they are lower than they should be, my scores as of an hour after I left there was, 610/602/617. I don't know if this will ask me, but I want them to make right on the loan and give me the almost $2500 the internet brought me to them over. They are not a member of the BBB and the BBB has them mixed up in lawsuits all over the country for stuff just like this. I just want my loan that was offered that brought me in there in the first place.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Layla at the Conway SC store is awesome!! She made the experience quick and knew exactly what she was doing. Very professional and good at her job. I highly recommend them and if you’re in Conway ask for Layla and she will treat you right.

TitleMax response

Hi Chris! Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with us. It's great to hear that Layla was able to help you and answer all of your questions! Please let us know if we can help with anything else!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

My husband and I took a loan from TitleMax. It’s now time to make our final payment and we just found out we owe an additional $400 due to additional interest charges from paying our payment late. We’ve always contacted the office when our payment would be past the due date and we were under the impression that we were paying the late fees, etc each month when we did call in to make our payment. Apparently that was not the case. Each month there were additional late charges that no one bothered to tell us about and those charges continued to accrue interest each month. Now, we owe an additional $400 and every day we don’t pay that extra amount, it continues to accrue interest at a rate of approximately $3 per day!!! How is that even legal to charge interest on the interest? Not to mention we were never told or advised on these additional accruing fees. Very misleading!!!

Apparently all the employees that had been at this particular TitleMax location are no longer employed there due to misleading customers and not being honest. We are doing our research now to determine possible legal action against this company. We’ve paid more than double the amount that we borrowed due to the extremely high interest rates, and yes, we knew that when we took the loan... but the additional $400 on top of what we’ve already paid and the fact that’s going to continue to go up each day that we don’t... this is a company that certainly preys on people in need! Truly dishonest and misleading in their practices and the way they do business with their customers. Beware and stay far, far away from this company!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Mrs. P (i abbreviated her name because I did not want to spell it wrong) is an awesome manager with great customer service... I've been to the location on Mercury blvd. in Hampton, Va. twice and nothing but a pleasant and speedy visit each time. I had no problems with her or this location at all and would definitely refer to others if they need a place to go. Five star ratings would give more if I could.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I came into the Center Point, Alabama store on 10-21-2019? Was only given a $100.00 for my title? My first payment was due on 11-20-2019? Well, I was able to pay it off on 11-6-2019? A total of $117.99? I left the store with what I thought was Assurance of receiving my title the following day? Never received a phone call for the rest of the week? Went back a week later, and was told the same thing that I would receive a phone call the following day again? It's been a total of 19 days, and I still haven't received my title? I was supposed to renew my car tag at the end of October? And I haven't been able to drive my car cause I don't have a tag and I'm not trying to get any unnecessary tickets that only I will be stuck paying and jeopardize losing my license? I believe Title Max owes me more than just an apology for not living up to their companies Integrity and policies?

Courtney

TitleMax expert review by Lauren Fix

TitleMax was founded in Georgia in 1998 and is now one of the largest title lenders in the United States with more than 1,000 locations in 17 states across the United States. The company offers title loans and title pawns for cars and motorcycles.

• Qualifications: Those with bad credit can qualify for a loan through TitleMax. Applicants must only be 18 years old, or 19 in Alabama, have a government-issued photo ID, have a source of income and own a car or motorcycle without a lien.

• No penalties: TitleMax does not charge an additional fee if clients make a payment early or pay their loan off early.

• Speed: TitleMax works to get customers in and out quickly. In many cases, employees can check a client’s qualifications and process their loan within 30 minutes.

• Online application: Individuals can apply for a TitleMax loan online. This option may be especially appealing to those who want to work with TitleMax but do not live near one of their locations.

• Consumer education: Consumers interested in obtaining a title loan can visit TitleMax’s website to learn about the process of applying and qualifications. They can also follow the company’s blog for financial advice, car care tips and more.

• Best for: car and motorcycle owners facing unexpected costs or a financial emergency.

by Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

TitleMax Company Information