4.7/5 (470 ratings)

About TitleMax

TitleMax is one of the largest title lending companies in the nation. TitleMax offers car and motorcycle title loans and pawns at competitive rates. It strives to provide a superior level of customer service as it helps thousands of people get the cash they need with a title loan. The company has thousands of convenient locations.

Pros

• Receive up to $10,000
  • Get funds in as little as 30 minutes
  • No bank account required
  • No credit score requirements

Cons

• Pawns only available in Georgia
  • Loans only available in 16 states

Bottom Line

TitleMax offers title and personal loans with easy applications. Customers receive funds quickly, and the company has loan specialists that help clients find out how much money they can borrow.

Top TitleMax Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

When I reached out to TitleMax, they helped me that day. Their overall lending process was really smooth and fast. I even paid that debt back off. My lending officer ... was reall...

Verified

TitleMax's lending process was great and took about half an hour. Erica, the rep, helped me a lot and answered all my questions, which was why I’m happy with it. It was a great ex...

TitleMax Title Loans

TitleMax car and motorcycle title loans are available in 16 states. Unlike many other loan options, you don’t need a good credit score or a bank account to qualify for a title loan. While the qualifications differ by state, the basic TitleMax title loan requirements include:

• A paid-off car or motorcycle with the title in your name
  • Proof of income
  • A government-issued ID

All makes and models of cars are eligible as collateral, and you get to keep your car while you pay off the balance of your loan.

To get started with TitleMax, head to its website and fill out its quick loan application. To find out how much money you’re eligible for, you need to provide basic information about your vehicle, including the year, make and model.

TitleMax prides itself on getting you the cash you need as quickly as possible. You can get your title loan funds in as little as 30 minutes or within one business day. TitleMax bases your loan amount on the following factors:

• State regulations
  • How much you need
  • The value of your vehicle

Depending on your state of residence, you could receive up to $10,000.

TitleMax Personal Loans

TitleMax offers personal loans up to $2,500. These loans are unsecured, so while they’re typically for small amounts, you can apply for them without collateral. To apply for a TitleMax personal loan, visit its website and fill out the personal loan application with the following information:

• Name
  • Cell phone number
  • ZIP code
  • Email address

TitleMax Universe Silver Deposit Accounts

TitleMax created the Universe Silver deposit account as an alternative way for customers to receive funds. This account gives you no-fee cash withdrawals at Visa Plus Alliance ATMs and access to your account through the TitleMax app. Other features of the TitleMax Universe Silver deposit account include:

• Card gallery images to customize your card
  • Freeze card feature in case your card is lost or stolen
  • Pay your bills or shop online with your secure Visa debit card
  • No bank teller withdrawal fees

It’s important to note that you must meet the eligibility requirements to get access to these exclusive benefits. TitleMax only promises these benefits to account holders who receive at least one recurring deposit of more than $500 every 35 days.

For customers who receive at least one recurring deposit of $500 every 35 days, TitleMax has the Direct Deposit Plus account. Benefits include:

• No monthly account fee and limited transaction fees
  • Optional overdraft protection with montly direct deposits of $500 or more
  • Low overdraft fees if account not cured in 24 hours, and only four overdraft fees a month

TitleMax FAQ

How long do you have to pay back a TitleMax loan?
TitleMax loan payment plans range from 30 days to several months, depending on your loan contract. TitleMax’s loan specialists work with you to create a payment plan that fits your needs.
How much can you borrow from TitleMax?
You could be eligible to borrow up to $10,000 from TitleMax, depending on your state of residence. Familiarize yourself with your state’s title loan regulations to find out how large of a loan you can receive.
What happens if you default on a TitleMax title loan?
Defaulting on a TitleMax loan could result in repossession of your vehicle.
Can I refinance my loan with TitleMax?
Yes, TitleMax offers loan refinancing services for title loans. It generally will refinance any loan that already has 20% of principal paid.
Does TitleMax check your credit?
Yes, TitleMax looks into your credit before offering you a title loan, but the company states on its website that customers with bad credit are still eligible to receive funds.

Is TitleMax legit?

TitleMax is one of the largest lending companies in the nation. It serves thousands of customers every day online and at its more than 1,000 locations. The company processes applications quickly and disburses funds within one business day, which is helpful for people who need money to handle an emergency expense. If you need cash and fit all of its criteria, check out TitleMax’s website to apply for a personal or title loan.

TitleMax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TitleMax?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

When I first walked in, it was nothing but friendly. The representative at TitleMax, Toni, did a very good job of establishing rapport with me. We talked a little bit and she went over what it was. She was very informative. She told me she was new, so she was gonna go a little slow, which was fine with me. They had told me at the beginning that I might have to download an app to make payments. It got to the end of it and she said, "Let's go ahead and download that app." I told her, "I don't want to do that." The manager came over and said, "No, you have to. You can't walk out of here without downloading the app." It rubbed me the wrong way because I know for a fact that it's not in the contract that I have to. He was flamboyant and liked to say, "My dear, my dear."

He walked off and sat at his desk while Toni was finishing up with me. He told her, "That's fine. If she doesn't want to, then we just can't take her payments over the phone. She's going to have to come in in person." It was retaliatory. I understand the function of that account. It's for me to be able to view my account, make my payments, etc. But all I was going to do was go home and do it because I wanted to read it. I didn't want to do it right there.

While I was going through the paperwork, Toni said, "Don't worry about it. I'm going to print it out at the end." That was fine because I knew what I was agreeing with. She explained it to me very well. I wasn't too worried about the actual fine print because it's all legalities. But in the end, all I got was the finance sheet - the one that says what the loan is, how much the interest is, what the payments are, etc. I didn't get the contract.

When I talked to the district manager, they called me back right away. She was very friendly. She said she understood. She said that the "my dear" part was just his personality and that he's a very good manager. I believed her because he seemed very dedicated but I told her that it was inappropriate because he doesn't know me and there should be a certain level of professionalism.

TitleMax response

Thank you for your feedback, Cynthia. We would like to learn more about your recent visit. Please feel free to reach out to us at 1 (800) 804-5368 so that we can get more details about your situation. From there we can contact the appropriate parties and work through any issues.

Get buying tips about Payday and Title Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I found something was next to me. I called the young lady. Her name was Brittany. She was a nice, warm girl. She explained to me everything in the phone, and I went in and got it done. She was a very helpful woman. What they asked me for the title loans was my driver license, job history, Social Security, where I lived at, and how much I get paid every two weeks or weekly, and that was it. I filled out the applications in the computer. And they asked me how much I wanted, I put it there, and I would get approved for whatever they tell me that I am approved of. The rep took a lot of pictures of my vehicle, and took my title. She submitted all of the pictures to the people that she was supposed to send them. It was easygoing.

But for some reason, whoever processed it in the computer did not follow it through. It sat for almost three hours. Brittany even tried to push it through and talked to those people. But they had some kind of computer issue. And the man said he would do it manually. Because I needed it, I sat down and waited. But business-wise, they should have a faster service, so people don’t have to spend three to four hours in the office.

The young girl was nice and tried her best to do everything that she could. She was by herself. It was on Saturday. And there were two of us that she was helping. And with the two of us, none of us was approved until like hours and hours later. At the end of the day, we got it done. So, it's okay to me. The young lady said, “I apologize. Normally, it do not take this long, but I don't know what's going on.” She was a very sweet young lady. It has taken three hours out of my time on my day off, but at the end of the day, it's helpful because we need it.

TitleMax response

We appreciate your feedback, Zenebech!

Original review: May 27, 2022

I needed emergency money so I did a car title loan with TitleMax. My rep was really good and the process took 45 minutes. I was pretty much prepared because I called in. I took everything with me when I went there just in case such as my Social Security and a copy of my lease. The rep right away did my paperwork. Right when I was about to walk on, she said she got an approval.

She told me, she was, “This is the day you will have to pay. And if you don't, you can just pay this much. And you can just pay it with your debit card. Instead of coming by the office, you can do it on your app, or call us... If you want to pay everything off, this is the amount. But if you come in the office, we’ll give you your title right there. But if you do it over the phone and pay everything off, you have to wait about three days. And then you can come pick up your title.”

There was only one thing I was confused about. You tell them this is how much you need then you get approved for a higher amount. For example, they approved me for 1,750 and I only needed 1500. It says that I have 200 cash and I don't know what they do with the other money. I don't know if I was able to use it or not. That aside, I’m gonna refer TitleMax to some people because I have friends that really need money. I had a good experience in getting things done and they didn't charge me much.

TitleMax response

Thank you for the amazing feedback Maria! We are happy you had a great experience, let us know if you need anything else.

Original review: May 1, 2022

The TitleMax offices here have to have your proof of income. I lost my job a few months ago and I just started working again. I haven't gotten my first paycheck from my new job, so I don't have that proof of income yet. I was really scared and discouraged when I went to the first TitleMax office. The rep said, "No, ma'am. Don't fret. We have another office. It's right outside the city limits. They do not go by proof of income because that's only because we're inside the city limits." Once she told me that, it was like a weight was lifted off my chest. My rent was due before I get my first check, and I was really concerned about whether or not we were going to be able to cover rent this month. The rep sent us out to the other office that's just right outside the city limits, and they helped me a lot.

I try not to get my hopes up because I've been told no so many times lately. We're struggling and we wouldn't take the title loan out otherwise. When I went into the office, the reps were very friendly. I had to take my ID, and we had to bring the vehicle so they could get pictures of our vehicle and the title. They're holding my title. The lady that helped us was extremely informative and it went very smoothly compared to what I went in there expecting to experience. It was a breath of fresh air and I was very pleased. The process was almost an hour but the paperwork was very speedy. It took 20 minutes tops. Most of the time we were there, the lady was getting pictures. She had to get a lot of pictures of the vehicle. I would tell my friends to go to TitleMax and to go to the one we went to.

TitleMax response

Thanks for sharing, Tiffany! We are glad we could help.

Original review: March 14, 2022

The application process was fast, and it was not too complicated or frustrating. There were no questions, and the information they needed, I had there with me in my car. My debit card just expired and I thought I would have to get the card that they have, but since their card has certain rules, I was like, “My card, I didn’t bring it." I was needing the loan right there and then. I didn't have time to go and get my new debit card that had just gotten mailed in. I was like, “You know what? I had just went to go check my mail not long ago and I think I still have it in the car." I haven’t been needing my debit card like that, so I hadn’t even taken it out the envelope yet. I went to go check, found it and brought it in.

On top of how fast the process went, the rep was very friendly, also the other lady that was in there. They were both trying to be very helpful, and they had a lot of hospitality compared to the other title loan place I went to before that time. The very nice TitleMax lady said she had to send in the information to another office, and while she was waiting for that response, she said, “There's coffee. There's some candies, some chips. Help yourself to some while you're waiting.” I hadn’t eaten in a couple of hours, and I was hungry. The other title loan place didn’t have that. It was nice of TitleMax. It makes you feel a bit better just in case you haven't eaten in a while and you can't even think right. TitleMax is very different with everything. I would definitely recommend them.

TitleMax response

Thank you, Melinda! We appreciate your business and are glad you had a pleasant experience.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

TitleMax didn't offer me what I was asking for for the vehicle. That would have paid off all of my bills, plus I would have some extra left. The offer was just enough to pay the repairs for the vehicle so I didn't go through with the loan.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

TitleMax was a good service. They made it quick, easy, and very simple. Personally, the more simple, the better. They were good people. They educated me, and I liked it. It was nothing too crazy and nothing that I wouldn't understand. Everything was straightforward.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

Applying was super easy. It took 10 minutes. Also, the rep was excellent. She took pictures and was done in 30 minutes. TitleMax gave me what I needed.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

I started the process online, and then TitleMax gave me a phone call. Then I went in up there once I got off work, and I was out in about 15 minutes. Once you can make it in, they just finish it up there for you. It was quick.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

When I called TitleMax, they explained to me the situation. I needed to get a loan that wouldn't affect my credit score because I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my credit. Since I have a nice car, I could take a loan out against that, and it worked. My experience with TitleMax was really, really great. There was good customer service. It was a very warm and welcoming place. The rep was really nice and she seemed very down-to-earth.

TitleMax Company Information