ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.47/5

TitleMax is one of the largest title lending companies in the nation. TitleMax offers car and motorcycle title loans and pawns at competitive rates. It strives to provide a superior level of customer service as it helps thousands of people get the cash they need with a title loan. The company has thousands of convenient locations.

TitleMax Video
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

TitleMax offers title and personal loans with easy applications. Customers receive funds quickly, and the company has loan specialists that help clients find out how much money they can borrow.

PROS

• Receive up to $10,000
  • Get funds in as little as 30 minutes
  • No bank account required
  • No credit score requirements

CONS

• Pawns only available in Georgia
  • Loans only available in 16 states

Top TitleMax Reviews

When I reached out to TitleMax, they helped me that day. Their overall lending process was really smooth and fast. I even paid that debt back off. My lending officer ... was really nice and fast. Working with TitleMax was really good because I needed the money to move out of the state, and it was really helpful.

TitleMax's lending process was great and took about half an hour. Erica, the rep, helped me a lot and answered all my questions, which was why I’m happy with it. It was a great experience.

TitleMax title loans

TitleMax car and motorcycle title loans are available in 16 states. Unlike many other loan options, you don’t need a good credit score or a bank account to qualify for a title loan. While the qualifications differ by state, the basic TitleMax title loan requirements include:

• A paid-off car or motorcycle with the title in your name
  • Proof of income
  • A government-issued ID

All makes and models of cars are eligible as collateral, and you get to keep your car while you pay off the balance of your loan.

To get started with TitleMax, head to its website and fill out its quick loan application. To find out how much money you’re eligible for, you need to provide basic information about your vehicle, including the year, make and model.

TitleMax prides itself on getting you the cash you need as quickly as possible. You can get your title loan funds in as little as 30 minutes or within one business day. TitleMax bases your loan amount on the following factors:

• State regulations
  • How much you need
  • The value of your vehicle

Depending on your state of residence, you could receive up to $10,000.

TitleMax personal loans

TitleMax offers personal loans up to $2,500. These loans are unsecured, so while they’re typically for small amounts, you can apply for them without collateral. To apply for a TitleMax personal loan, visit its website and fill out the personal loan application with the following information:

• Name
  • Cell phone number
  • ZIP code
  • Email address

TitleMax Universal Silver deposit accounts

TitleMax created the Universal Silver deposit account as an alternative way for customers to receive funds. This account gives you no-fee cash withdrawals at Visa Plus Alliance ATMs and access to your account through the TitleMax app. Other features of the TitleMax Universal Silver deposit account include:

• Reduced monthly fees of $4.95
  • No fees due to inactivity
  • No bank teller withdrawal fees
  • Optional overdraft protection

It’s important to note that you must meet the eligibility requirements to get access to these exclusive benefits. TitleMax only promises these benefits to account holders who receive at least one recurring deposit of more than $200 every 35 days.

For customers who receive at least one recurring deposit of $500 every 35 days, TitleMax has the Direct Deposit Plus account. Benefits include:

• No monthly account fee
  • No cost for balance inquiries at out-of-network ATMs
  • Optional overdraft protection

TitleMax FAQ

How long do you have to pay back a TitleMax loan?
TitleMax loan payment plans range from 30 days to several months, depending on your loan contract. TitleMax’s loan specialists work with you to create a payment plan that fits your needs.
How much can you borrow from TitleMax?
You could be eligible to borrow up to $10,000 from TitleMax, depending on your state of residence. Familiarize yourself with your state’s title loan regulations to find out how large of a loan you can receive.
What happens if you default on a TitleMax title loan?
Defaulting on a TitleMax loan could result in repossession of your vehicle.
Can I refinance my loan with TitleMax?
Yes, TitleMax offers loan refinancing services for title loans. It generally will refinance any loan that already has 20% of principal paid.
Does TitleMax check your credit?
Yes, TitleMax looks into your credit before offering you a title loan, but the company states on its website that customers with bad credit are still eligible to receive funds.

Is TitleMax legit?

TitleMax is one of the largest lending companies in the nation. It serves thousands of customers every day online and at its more than 1,000 locations. The company processes applications quickly and disburses funds within one business day, which is helpful for people who need money to handle an emergency expense. If you need cash and fit all of its criteria, check out TitleMax’s website to apply for a personal or title loan.

TitleMax Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

My cousin used to talk about TitleMax before he passed. He said that they are a good place to deal with because even though you get a title loan from them and you're paying it, you can go back and pay them out early. And once you pay them out early, they will deduct the interest off, while most title loan companies don’t wanna deduct the interest off.

I filled out the paperwork then they went through the procedure and took a picture of me to let the man also know that it was me inside the office getting a title loan. They also took a picture of the car and let me know the interest rate. They said, "If I keep the loan for the whole three years, that’s the amount you pay, but if you pay it off early, the interest rate will go down and once you pay it off, that’s it.”

The lending process took about 20 minutes. The manager handled my account, but she had a phone call. After she got through with her phone call, she came back. And after we went through it, she told me how to download the app and said that I could use the app or come to the office to make my payment. She said that a lot of people come in, get money, then come back in 90 days and pay TitleMax out. But if I wanna keep the loan for three years or for six months, it's up to me.

Get expert buying tips about Payday and Title Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

TitleMax is in the neighborhood. I saw the building and I chose to go with them because of the location. But I went in twice and they were pretty busy. I didn't know if anybody was at the front desk and I waited for about 10 minutes but nobody came to the front. The very first time I went in, they were very accommodating and very helpful, but I decided not to do the loan at that time. Then I went back and that was when it looked like there were four guests but nobody was at the desk. They looked understaffed with three or four in line in front of me. So, I came back and there was another person in front of me there but once I sat down with somebody, the process was super quick.

I got a title loan and it took 20 minutes to complete the process. I gave them my driver's license, some personal information like my address, my income and expenses as well as the title itself. Then they took pictures of the vehicle but they did not have to drive it. All in all, they were super nice and the rep who assisted me was a super great guy. Also, working with TitleMax was a pressure release valve for me. As a small business owner, it really helps in a quick pinch for that cash, so the loan helped quite a bit.

TitleMax response

Thanks Mark, we appreciate your feedback. We are always trying to improve and learn from past experiences and would like to learn more about your recent visit with us. Please feel free to reach out to us at 1 (800) 804-5368 so that we can get more details about your situation. From there we can contact the appropriate parties and work through any issues.

Original review: May 3, 2019

A friend of mine told me that their relative had a good experience with TitleMax. I just got a small loan because I needed some work done on my car. TitleMax was awesome and unbelievable. I provided them with a copy of the released lien paperwork, a copy of the lien itself, and my driver’s license. The reps were so great, and patient because when I came in there, I thought I had a regular title, but all I had was the lien release and that wouldn’t work. Then they pulled up a picture and said that was what I needed, and I knew I had that somewhere too. Filling out the paperwork was so easy and so great that I could do it myself, then the rep took over after I was all done. I got approved for the loan in a couple minutes, but it seemed like seconds.

It was such a relief to be able to work with TitleMax because I just went through a nasty divorce and paid all these attorney fees. My ex-husband left me with nothing, moved in with his girlfriend, and took all my savings. Then I found out when we were selling our house that it had a lien, so I had to use all my savings to pay that. I was just starting a job and I just moved into a condo. I lost my bid on my house because I ended up with hardly anything and just enough to move in to my new house. The only consolation that I have is that I was able to get that loan because, if not, I wouldn’t have had the ability to get my car fixed.

The lending process was so easy once I got everything I needed. The only reason why I struggled was because I just recently moved, so I was a little discombobulated. But to be able to have the flexibility to go through that emergency was such a relief after moving, the divorce, and custody. You really need to have TitleMax as an option if you have an emergency. I love them.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I never got a loan before so I was a little nervous. TitleMax was close to my house so I went there just to inquire but I felt really comfortable with the representative who helped me so I ended up staying in there. I have very minimal sight right now so she walked through things with me and explained the whole process before we even did it. I asked questions as far as my vehicle and how it would go with the loan. She answered the questions clearly and gave additional information. She was pretty detailed and I felt like there wasn’t anything hidden. There were no gray areas which is what I liked. I like it bold, straight and forward.

TitleMax's process was easier than I thought. I just got out of the hospital and needed to move rather quickly because of a respiratory problem that was the result of where I was living, so she’d seen the urgency. I needed it because the opportunity that I had to move where I am now moved into would have been definitely taken by someone else if it was on the market any longer.

I also wanted to be discreet as far as the amount goes and she caught on that quickly. My three children were there and I didn't want more information to be shared than needed to out loud. So when we started talking, all the way down to when I was approved, she was pretty discreet about it, as well as with what I was approved for and how to go through it. However, it would have been nice if the cost was a little bit lower.

She also assisted with the application by doing everything electronically and explained thoroughly each step of the way of what was being done like taking pictures of my vehicle to what it was for. Then, there was another employee there who distracted my kids a little bit while I was taking care of finalizing some things.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I Googled title loans and TitleMax was the first one that came up. Once I clicked on the website and started looking at the rates, all I needed to apply seemed pretty easy. So, I just went in person and it was the easiest process I’ve ever been in as far as title loans, getting through them, and them just being helpful and very informative are concerned.

I had to take my vehicle in so they can inspect it -- they looked at the mileage and looked at the damage to it if there was any. Then from there, they gave me a price range to what my car could qualify for. Then once I picked the amount of loan I would like, then that was when we started talking about numbers and how much it would be a month. From there, once we set a rate and an amount, then I went ahead and just set up the application, and that only took 10 minutes. Shortly after that, they printed out the check for me and then they just went over the final guidelines to the loan as to when I have to pay it off and all the fees that are already included with the amount. The process took under probably an hour.

The lending processor was very nice and informative. I have never done a title loan before, so I wasn’t too sure what to expect going in, but she was very good at just explaining everything every step of the way, just keeping me in the process and not making sure I’m confused or I don’t know what I’m doing. TitleMax has helped me pretty well. I just needed a short-time loan and they were very cooperative as to helping me and understanding things. I wanna get the best rate possible if I can as to what I can afford and they were very understanding with that. As to like a couple other places that had talked to me, they just weren’t very negotiable with rates. It's convenient and very easy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TitleMax?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

2nd review: Today I called Instaloan to confirm payment for a title loan I took out. When I called I was shocked to find out, important payment information was left out, when applying for a loan. My loan information was explained to me was I would pay in the interest $450 + on my loans first payment & after I pay each month I can start to pay towards my loan of $2,500. Not once did my rep explain to me I had to pay $375 interest each month that does not apply to my loan. So on top of making payments towards 2,500 I'm charge an additional $375. That was never explained to me. I will be on contact with corporate. They have the title to my Mercedes CLA250. I needed extra money so it seemed like the right thing to do. It's unfortunate that people can try and take advantage of other people when they are in need. (PLEASE IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF EXTRA CASH PLEASE MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS EXPLAINED.)

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for reaching out about your recent experience. We value your feedback from your most recent experience with InstaLoan and would like to learn more. Please feel free to reach out to our customer resolutions hotline at (855) 869-3462. From there we can contact the appropriate parties and work through any issues.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

They offer a quote online to give the customer a fairly close estimate of their car loan value, but when you go through the whole process you will find out that bottom line, they pull your credit so basically you are borrowing on your credit and throwing a car title in there more as a freebie for them to gain on if you don't make your payments. The actual blue book value of my car is $4,500, so with them only loaning me $700, if I default they get a really sweet car out of it and only losing $700.

The loan process when I got all the paperwork together took a whooping 4 hours to complete!!!! It's not until you set through all of the processes and finally get to the end of the 4 hours that you hear what they are offering. They said my credit pulled at 200. There is no way this is factual. I checked all three and although because of law school they are lower than they should be, my scores as of an hour after I left there was, 610/602/617. I don't know if this will ask me, but I want them to make right on the loan and give me the almost $2500 the internet brought me to them over. They are not a member of the BBB and the BBB has them mixed up in lawsuits all over the country for stuff just like this. I just want my loan that was offered that brought me in there in the first place.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Layla at the Conway SC store is awesome!! She made the experience quick and knew exactly what she was doing. Very professional and good at her job. I highly recommend them and if you’re in Conway ask for Layla and she will treat you right.

TitleMax response

Hi Chris! Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with us. It's great to hear that Layla was able to help you and answer all of your questions! Please let us know if we can help with anything else!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

My husband and I took a loan from TitleMax. It’s now time to make our final payment and we just found out we owe an additional $400 due to additional interest charges from paying our payment late. We’ve always contacted the office when our payment would be past the due date and we were under the impression that we were paying the late fees, etc each month when we did call in to make our payment. Apparently that was not the case. Each month there were additional late charges that no one bothered to tell us about and those charges continued to accrue interest each month. Now, we owe an additional $400 and every day we don’t pay that extra amount, it continues to accrue interest at a rate of approximately $3 per day!!! How is that even legal to charge interest on the interest? Not to mention we were never told or advised on these additional accruing fees. Very misleading!!!

Apparently all the employees that had been at this particular TitleMax location are no longer employed there due to misleading customers and not being honest. We are doing our research now to determine possible legal action against this company. We’ve paid more than double the amount that we borrowed due to the extremely high interest rates, and yes, we knew that when we took the loan... but the additional $400 on top of what we’ve already paid and the fact that’s going to continue to go up each day that we don’t... this is a company that certainly preys on people in need! Truly dishonest and misleading in their practices and the way they do business with their customers. Beware and stay far, far away from this company!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Mrs. P (i abbreviated her name because I did not want to spell it wrong) is an awesome manager with great customer service... I've been to the location on Mercury blvd. in Hampton, Va. twice and nothing but a pleasant and speedy visit each time. I had no problems with her or this location at all and would definitely refer to others if they need a place to go. Five star ratings would give more if I could.

TitleMax Company Information