Get Pricing

4.4/5 (69 ratings)

About TitleMax

TitleMax is one of the largest title lending companies in the nation. TitleMax offers car and motorcycle title loans and pawns at competitive rates. It strives to provide a superior level of customer service as it helps thousands of people get the cash they need with a title loan. The company has thousands of convenient locations.

Pros

• Receive up to $10,000
  • Get funds in as little as 30 minutes
  • No bank account required
  • No credit score requirements

Cons

• Pawns only available in Georgia
  • Loans only available in 16 states

Bottom Line

TitleMax offers title and personal loans with easy applications. Customers receive funds quickly, and the company has loan specialists that help clients find out how much money they can borrow.

Top TitleMax Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

When I reached out to TitleMax, they helped me that day. Their overall lending process was really smooth and fast. I even paid that debt back off. My lending officer ... was reall...

Verified

TitleMax's lending process was great and took about half an hour. Erica, the rep, helped me a lot and answered all my questions, which was why I’m happy with it. It was a great ex...

TitleMax Title Loans

TitleMax car and motorcycle title loans are available in 16 states. Unlike many other loan options, you don’t need a good credit score or a bank account to qualify for a title loan. While the qualifications differ by state, the basic TitleMax title loan requirements include:

• A paid-off car or motorcycle with the title in your name
  • Proof of income
  • A government-issued ID

All makes and models of cars are eligible as collateral, and you get to keep your car while you pay off the balance of your loan.

To get started with TitleMax, head to its website and fill out its quick loan application. To find out how much money you’re eligible for, you need to provide basic information about your vehicle, including the year, make and model.

TitleMax prides itself on getting you the cash you need as quickly as possible. You can get your title loan funds in as little as 30 minutes or within one business day. TitleMax bases your loan amount on the following factors:

• State regulations
  • How much you need
  • The value of your vehicle

Depending on your state of residence, you could receive up to $10,000.

TitleMax Personal Loans

TitleMax offers personal loans up to $2,500. These loans are unsecured, so while they’re typically for small amounts, you can apply for them without collateral. To apply for a TitleMax personal loan, visit its website and fill out the personal loan application with the following information:

• Name
  • Cell phone number
  • ZIP code
  • Email address

TitleMax Universe Silver Deposit Accounts

TitleMax created the Universe Silver deposit account as an alternative way for customers to receive funds. This account gives you no-fee cash withdrawals at Visa Plus Alliance ATMs and access to your account through the TitleMax app. Other features of the TitleMax Universe Silver deposit account include:

• Reduced monthly fees of $4.95
  • No fees due to inactivity
  • No bank teller withdrawal fees
  • Optional overdraft protection

It’s important to note that you must meet the eligibility requirements to get access to these exclusive benefits. TitleMax only promises these benefits to account holders who receive at least one recurring deposit of more than $200 every 35 days.

For customers who receive at least one recurring deposit of $500 every 35 days, TitleMax has the Direct Deposit Plus account. Benefits include:

• No monthly account fee
  • No cost for balance inquiries at out-of-network ATMs
  • Optional overdraft protection

TitleMax FAQ

How long do you have to pay back a TitleMax loan?
TitleMax loan payment plans range from 30 days to several months, depending on your loan contract. TitleMax’s loan specialists work with you to create a payment plan that fits your needs.
How much can you borrow from TitleMax?
You could be eligible to borrow up to $10,000 from TitleMax, depending on your state of residence. Familiarize yourself with your state’s title loan regulations to find out how large of a loan you can receive.
What happens if you default on a TitleMax title loan?
Defaulting on a TitleMax loan could result in repossession of your vehicle.
Can I refinance my loan with TitleMax?
Yes, TitleMax offers loan refinancing services for title loans. It generally will refinance any loan that already has 20% of principal paid.
Does TitleMax check your credit?
Yes, TitleMax looks into your credit before offering you a title loan, but the company states on its website that customers with bad credit are still eligible to receive funds.

Is TitleMax legit?

TitleMax is one of the largest lending companies in the nation. It serves thousands of customers every day online and at its more than 1,000 locations. The company processes applications quickly and disburses funds within one business day, which is helpful for people who need money to handle an emergency expense. If you need cash and fit all of its criteria, check out TitleMax’s website to apply for a personal or title loan.

TitleMax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TitleMax?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

The lending process with TitleMax took about two hours. The computer system was moving slow but other than that, it was alright. I had experience with a loan company before, so I knew what to expect. The reps were friendly and TitleMax is a good place to borrow from. But I gotta see in the long run how this plays out because each month, it adds a percentage on to your balance. TitleMax is helpful at the moment but no one never really wants to get a loan. Other than that, you know what you sign up for.

TitleMax response

Teotea, thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We really appreciate it!

Get buying tips about Payday and Title Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

A friend of mine said that TitleMax was great to work with, that I could get a title on there, and that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The process was quick and painless. The rep asked me how much of a payment was I looking for, I said I could do about 400 a month, and that fit right in with everything. It was a very nice experience.

TitleMax response

Thank you for your feedback, Angela! We train our employees to provide a high level of customer service and we're so glad you experienced that. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I know friends and family who dealt with TitleMax in the past and they didn't really have a problem with getting a loan from them and getting the money back. I went with them as well and everything was really great. The employee that helped me was really nice and I didn't have to go through a lot of red tape, which makes me want to do business with them again. With COVID going on right now and with the holiday season coming in, I was very fortunate that I was able to go and get a loan from them.

TitleMax response

Thank you Jerome, we appreciate your feedback. We're glad that our staff was able to help you and answer all your questions! We appreciate your business and we hope to see you again soon!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I paid my first vehicle off a few months back and got hard out for some cash and I went to TitleMax. The process went pretty quickly. I brought in everything I needed, I got my loan and I was out of there. Their system was going kind of slow that day, so it took a little longer than usual. We were probably there probably a little bit over an hour. The lady who assisted us was real nice. The customer service is good. We talked through the whole process and when she got done, she gave me my instructions with my card and we were on our way. TitleMax helped me in a real time of need and they didn't give me any hassle about anything.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

This is my first time to borrow, so I didn't ask anybody. I ended up going to TitleMax and I felt like it was the best place. The process went through quick and easy and everything was fine. It has been a week since I went through them. I thought I was gonna pay a high interest rate, but it wasn't high, so that was one positive thing I liked about it. I'm glad I went to TitleMax first. I only had to pay $160 on top of what I borrowed. My mom went with different places to borrow money. She might borrow 1,000 or 800 and she would have to pay 1,500 to 1,400 back.

TitleMax response

Cedric, thank you for reaching out! We value and appreciate your feedback. It is great to hear you had a positive customer service experience. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Original review: May 21, 2021

I wish to bring to your attention the series of events concerning the loan company TitleMax of California. On July 12, 2018 the date that the loan from TM was originated, the employee named Oscar knew two things before anything was assigned or agreed to. One: my Mother was legally blind due to an incorrect cornea implant, which means she could not see at all nor could she drive. Two: She was in severe back pain about to have laminectomy surgery just a few weeks later. The pain was so great that she was in no condition to make any sort of decisions.

Now the reasoning behind the loan at the time is that we were trying to move into a downstairs apartment which ultimately fell through and a decision was made to move to Arizona from California. I do wish to bring to your attention that she tried in vain to renegotiate the terms of her loan (monthly payments), however TitleMax chose not to, which would make it difficult to purchase groceries or eat for that matter. What bothered her was that neither TitleMax nor its employee Oscar notified her of a class-action lawsuit with the state of Ca over not informing its clients of the exorbitant interest rates.

Original review: May 17, 2021

TitleMax gave my husband a loan on our truck of which I am also the owner of. I was unaware. My husband’s work was sporadic due to covid and he was trying to get bills caught up without stressing me out. We had a prior loan with TitleMax on the same vehicle. I was with him the first loan as I am an owner. I asked if I should sign the loan docs. They said no, only one person per doc. We paid the loan off.

That said when my husband went to get the 2nd loan he knew he could get it without me there and he was hoping he could get the bills and loan taken care of and alleviate stress. I just found out because I wanted to sell the truck and he told me about the loan. Now there is a lien on a car I also own. Now they have the title, we owe a huge amount of money with interest and are having to fight it through the BFI and having to get a lawyer as I had no part in the loan and I am the first owner on the title. Today when I called TitleMax they accused my husband of fraud and said if I pursued action he could get into trouble. Yet they gave him the loan under fraudulent terms. After being threatened today I remain committed to fighting this.

Original review: April 26, 2021

I really appreciate Ms. Chantera ** for patiently helping me get the loan that I needed. I didn’t know anything about TitleMax. This was a first time experience. I was nervous about the loan because I have an older model car but she didn’t give up. She got me approved and the right amount I needed. It was greatly appreciated and great customer service!

Original review: March 22, 2021

Don't go there. I just paid my title loan with my debit card and they didn't give my title. They said I have to wait 7 more days for their bank to clear that amount even though my bank already paid them. That's **.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

I went to TitleMax in Amarillo, Texas to get money to help with my son's burial expenses. Title Max made me an offer but I found out quickly just how wrong I was to sign those paper.

1st. The loan amt. I signed for and what I actually received was very different.

2nd. The missing money from my loan was split by the staff. The check was cut for 40 dollars short of one thousand.

3rd. I had spoke in length about paying the loan off early would eliminate the finance charges and all the interest. I asked twice. They assured me it was correct. If I pay the loan off before the first payment is was I would not have to pay interest. Well that only applies when you pay off the loan in 24 hr. I am finally debt free from Title Max but the manager Jennifer has started to harass me by sending notices of sale for my car despite the fact everything is paid. Why do you keep sending this stuff.

TitleMax response

We value your feedback with TitleMax and would like to learn more. Please feel free to reach out to our customer resolutions hotline at 1 (800) 804-5368. From there we can contact the appropriate parties and work through any issues.

TitleMax Company Information