1.6/5 (78 ratings)

About Money Mart

Money Mart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Money Mart?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Money Mart?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I've been going there for a few years now, so it's nice to have someone recognizing me every time I go in. ** knows how to make me feel comfortable. It's definitely not the case of all employees of Money Mart. I gotta say though, that one (15207 stony plain rd.) give good service, and I always get the best help. ** always goes out of her way to help me, and I really appreciate it.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

I sent money and the receiver was unable to get it. Lyle was very kind and efficient on assisting me. He made all the necessary calls and pointed me in the right direction. I got my refund back in a record time. He made my experience a very pleasant one. Thank you Lyle.

Get buying tips about Payday and Title Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I was in a pickle with shortage of money. Ashley helped me so very much. She didn't judge. Smiling with her eyes. It was a great experience. The building was clean, even though she had a mask on she was heard clearly. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Got my cheque cashed with the help of ** at Money Mart 1021 Wilson. Very helpful and kind, no complaints at all. No issues whatsoever. She helped me and also had a great conversation with me. Highly recommend

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

Kat with a very sweet smile greets you as soon as you enter the door. Makes a difficult transaction looks simple. An example of professionalism. Very friendly atmosphere in this store. I will definitely come back.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I wasn't happy with the Bank's currency exchange so I thought I'd ask Money Mart for the best way to exchange currency without getting ripped off. They said Western Union was the best option. Because after the transaction fee I would get "the exact exchange rate." So I trusted them, got my affairs in order and sent the money via Western Union... When the money came through it turns out they charged 25% for the exchange rate on top of the fee.

I questioned it and Money Mart said the exchange rate can change every 10min and that Western Union set their own exchange rate... I would of never used WU if they told me this! That's really important information to leave out! Why did they suggest WU as the "best option" knowing this information? I then said I'd rather have the money picked up by the sender and send it another way. Money Mart said the money had already been sent, hence they would need to charge another transaction fee and another exchange fee for me to have the sender pick up the money they sent. Then they told me to ring the Western Union number if I have a problem with that. I explained I was lied to in store by Money Mart, not WU. Thus I feel this is a MM issue.

MM refused to take any responsibility! All I wanted was for them to admit they lied, "miscommunicated" or forgot vital information and help me get a full refund from WU. Later I rang Western Union to explain. They basically said "too bad!". I told them I was lied to by their customer representative... They told me I can't prove that. WU has almost 85% negative reviews in the past 12 months. I don't understand why Money Mart associate with them, let alone actually recommend them as the "best option."

I am of the opinion that Western Union is not to blame here. The Money Mart employee who left out the vital information is to blame. A QUARTER OF ALL THE MONEY I HAVE IN THIS WORLD... just disappeared because of this lack of information. How would you feel if a quarter of everything you have is gone. Because you seeked advice from a financial institution which failed to tell you vital information!?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

First time having an issue where I am questioning Money Mart's Rules on cheque cashing. I brought a cheque to Money Mart. They gave me half of it and said that to come back in a few days that's when their next money will be delivered. Can someone help me understand this.

Original review: June 8, 2021

After repaying a loan and applying for another, took days to clear, and my new app is waiting on bank info provided a week ago. CS is no help, got hung up twice, eventually I should hear from my case manager.

Original review: June 1, 2021

Had a rep hang up on me because this morning I needed help with my denied application. Denial reason was for an "Invalid employer/paystub". Mind you, I have successfully repaid a previous loan just a month or so prior, and I have been with my employer 12 1/2 years. There has been no changes in my info. The customer service and loan department are horrible, they do not thoroughly look into applications. They need to take into consideration your history with them and all info provided. They just deny and send you letters with no explanation. I will not be returning!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Worst experience of my life. I went in to cash a check that I received in the amount of 50.00 after participating in a fundraising online raffle. After being questioned by Jennifer about what the check was for, she disappeared into the back room and came back 10 minutes later telling me she wasnt going to cash it, it wasn't legit and I needed to get out... Even after I gave her the website for the raffle and the treasurer's name (this was a catch the ace lottery fundraiser for crimestoppers).

She says she called the number that was on the check and spoke to some1 that said it was a fraudulent check. (I found out later she spoke to no one). I was horrified first because of the way she was speaking to me, 2ndly because of the possibility I had just been scammed online... So I asked her if she had called the police to which she replied, it would be a complete waste of her time. Even after I told her that possibly thousands of people could be getting scammed right now and it needed to be reported she refused to call any1 and just yelled at me to get out.. I calmly said can u please just call the police and I wi tel to them outside.. She refused and again yelled for me to get out( in front of another customer) then said if I refused to leave she would..

So I refused and she finally called. When the police came I gave them the same information I had given the car and in less than 30 minutes they confirmed the raffle was legit, the check was legit... I was at Money Mart well over an hour before the police finally were called. I find it appalling that I was treated like I was a criminal, trying to commit fraud, yelled at to get out, I am shocked that even after I told her people could be getting scammed out of their hard-earned money right at that moment she still refused to do anything... I found out later that she in fact did not speak to anyone at WRCS, in fact the only reason she considered the check to be fraudulent is because they forgot to date the check..

She never once mentioned that to me ..instead profiled me, humiliated me, refused to call police when requested, yelled at me to GET OUT repeatedly, and even after she found out she was totally wrong and way off base, never apologized or even acknowledged it.. but still refused to cash the check .. worst customer experience of my life! No exaggerating! Shame on you Jennifer. If the video could be pulled and reviewed I'm sure anyone would agree it could be shown to future employees as a 'what you should never do as a customer' learning tool!

The treasurer who issued the check to me even called to apologize for what I had been through when it was brought to her attention! I'm not sure what upset me more, the fact that I was treated like a criminal instead of a potential victim of fraud or the fact that she said it was a complete waste of her time to call the police to potentially stop other people from being scammed, didnt even consider that she could have had a hand in stopping lots of people from being victims of an online scam...that is the opposite of good customer service as far as I'm concerned.

I feel like I was profiled either because of my race or simply because I have an account at money mart and was needing their service to cash a 50.00 check ...perhaps both. I was treated like a criminal rather than a victim of crime, but if she would have just listened to the facts I was telling her and followed up on them she would have found there was jn fact no crime at all...

Money Mart Company Information