When it comes to pet insurance, many pet owners aren't sure if they really need it. We created this simple quiz to help consumers learn if pet insurance could be right for them.
Pet insurance helps pet owners pay the cost of medical expenses if the pet becomes ill or has an accident. Some pet insurance plans cover routine checkups and wellness procedures, such as annual exams, spaying, neutering, etc. Veterinary bills can be very high and pet insurance can help to offset the cost. However, in some cases pet insurance can cost more than it pays out so it’s important to consider your own unique situation and various factors before deciding whether or not to purchase pet insurance.
Top 10 Most Reviewed Pet Insurance Providers
Low deductibles and high reimbursement amounts from AKC Pet Insurance can mean the difference between a four-legged friend getting well or saying goodbye. It can reduce the financial burden due to pet illnesses/injuries.
|Read 206 Reviews|
Nationwide includes 24/7 access to trained veterinary professionals and reimbursements for covered medical costs. They offer both routine and comprehensive care options to keep care costs affordable.
|Read 171 Reviews|
The ASPCA is one of the best known names in pet adoptions, and they now also offer pet insurance. Their comprehensive coverage options cover everything from wellness visits to congenital conditions.
|Read 76 Reviews|
With a combination of lost pet recovery and pet insurance products, 24PetWatch offers a complete range of features designed to protect the health and wellness of furry family members.
|Read 72 Reviews|
Trupanion's single, easy to understand plan option with 90% reimbursement and no payout limitations make them a quick shop for pet insurance. Their prices are determined by pet demographics, not care quality.
|Read 8 Reviews|
With head-to-head comparisons available on their website, Embrace Pet Insurance demonstrates their coverage value. Their high annual limits, along with the lack of per incident maximums, makes them highly competitive.
Offering everything from vacation cancellation protection to lost pet recovery reimbursement, Petplan takes a holistic view of animal welfare and health care. Their policies are easy to understand with listed annual maximums.
Covering everything from cancer to emergency care, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation offers top-rated pet insurance policies. Their easy claims process makes getting reimbursements quick and painless.
PetFirst plans cost an average of $25 per month and puts pet owners firmly in control of their pet's health. Their Lifelong Coverage guarantee even protects pets with congenital conditions.
|Read Expert Review|
Pets Best offers plans that pay reimbursements of up to 100%, allowing pet owners to tackle any illness/injury with confidence. Short waiting periods means pet owners can start using their coverage in days.
|Read Expert Review|
What features matter most?
The most important thing to understand about pet insurance is what is covered and what is not. Some policyholders think that pet insurance automatically covers all medical expenses but every policy has different limits and exclusions.
- Read the plan: Before purchasing pet insurance, read the plan carefully so you have an understanding of what illnesses, medical visits, medication, etc. are covered and what are not. For example, surgery could be covered, but spaying/neutering might not. Emergency visits because of an accidental injury may be covered, but routine wellness visits may not. And in many cases, cosmetic procedures, boarding and grooming, and supplements will not be covered.
- Limits and deductibles: All insurance policies stipulate limits of their coverage. Typically, pet insurance will have limits per accident or illness, as well as a limit for the policy term. Out-of-pocket deductibles can be based on both a per-inside and per-policy term basis. Find out what the limits of coverage are, and if they could cover a reasonable portion of expensive procedures.
- Extra costs: Pets with existing conditions or advanced age may be refused coverage or might require higher premiums to cover their medical insurance. Be sure to read carefully to determine if your pet will incur any extra costs.
Can coverage be denied?
If you have pet insurance, you might assume that it will cover all medical issues and expenses, but many times coverage can be denied.
- Negligence: Some insurance policies won’t cover expenses if it has been deemed that the owner was at fault.
- Accidental: Accidents happen, but if you haven’t purchased comprehensive coverage or another form of accident insurance, you might end up paying out of pocket.
- Age range: Most pet insurance policies have a low end and a high end to sign up for a new policy. Make sure the plan covers the current age of your pet.
Insurance companies may work with and cover different medical providers, which takes the pressure off you to find one. The disadvantage of this is that some medical providers won’t be as good as the ones you might want to visit and you won’t be reimbursed for using vets that the policy doesn’t cover.
- Do the service providers have good reviews?: Check out the fine print to find out if service providers are prescribed by the insurance network, and if so, do a little investigative research to find out how reputable they are.
- Can you use providers out of network?: Such policies may cover both in and out-of-network providers, but the latter can sometimes cost more. Find out which vets your policy allows and if the coverage is the same for out-of-network vets.
The cost of pet insurance varies according to your location, what type of pet you have, your pet's age and what type of coverage you choose. Similar to human health insurance, pet insurance also has premiums, deductibles, co-pays and maximum payouts.
- Premium: The premium is the amount you pay monthly, quarterly or annually for your insurance policy.
- Deductible: The deductible is the amount of the vet bills you have to reach before the insurance company starts to pay. Higher deductibles usually mean a lower premium, but more of your money is invested over the initial medical expenses.
- Co-pay: Most insurance policies will cover only a portion of medical expenses even after you’ve met your deductible and expect you to cover a portion. For example, your policy might stipulate that you pay 20 percent and the insurance company pays 80 percent. Higher co-pays will lower your premium as well but will increase your out-of-pocket payments for each expense. When determining reimbursement, also keep in mind that some pet insurance policies pay out as a percentage of the invoice while others pay out on certain amounts for certain conditions or operations, no matter what the bill was.
- Maximum payout: Most insurance policies will determine a maximum amount of money they will give you, whether it is a certain amount each year, per event or during the lifetime of your policy. Once it is reached, you will not receive any more money.
In deciding whether or not to purchase insurance, try to estimate what your average veterinary health expenses are and will be in the future.
- Current pet health: How old are your pets? Are they in fairly good shape, or do they require medication or have a chronic illness?
- Environment: Do you live in a safe, quiet environment, or is the pet exposed to things like other pets, cars on the road, ticks, etc. — anything that could cause accidents or health problems requiring medical attention?
- Breed: Certain breeds or animals are at higher risk for health issues than others (and some may even be excluded from certain insurance policies).
Insurance company reputation
Pet insurance providers should have a good reputation for helpful customer service, reliable coverage and good value.
- Coverage options: Insurance companies should offer different plans and extensive coverage options for different conditions.
- Reviews and complaints: Find out as much as possible about what kind of experience other customers have had with the insurance company and be aware of any complaints people have made about them.
- Filing a claim: Find out what the process is to file a claim. Is it simple and hassle-free, or will you be on the phone with customer service for hours at a time? Does the insurance company typically fight claims or do they reimburse expenses? If so, how long does it typically take for the company to reimburse you? Some insurance plans will pay the vet directly, so that you don’t have to pay out of pocket initially.
What are different types of pet insurance coverage?
This traditional form of pet insurance coverage mirrors your typical human health insurance plan. It generally covers anything accidental, such as unforeseen injuries or illnesses—even poisonings. Basic coverages typically include deductibles and caps on total payouts per policy term.
While covering most everything that a traditional basic plan would cover, comprehensive takes pet insurance one step further by including preventive care (such as vet visits, X-rays and vaccinations) and prescription medicines.
Want coverage to help finance for routine care? Then a pet wellness plan is for you, to help pay for annual exams, teeth cleanings, vaccinations and other similar preventative treatments.
Vet packages and network plans
Additional pet insurance-like pet products are often sponsored by veterinarians themselves or in conjunction with pet stores. For instance, certain vets will offer their customers essentially what are package deals, which provide discounts on care and checkups. Or vets and pet stores may team up to offer plans that give discounts on surgeries and care, as well as on pet food and other supplies.
For pets that are exotic or worth a lot to their owners, life and theft insurance can be bought as a separate plan. Pet owners can also consider liability coverage to protect them should their pet bite or harm another person. Typically, homeowners or renter’s insurance provides enough protection, but for certain more aggressive breeds, additional insurance may be needed.
Who's it for?
First-time pet owners
People getting pets for the first time will want the security of pet insurance, especially if the pet is young, like a puppy. Puppies are more likely to get sick and having pet insurance can help a new owner get through a stressful time without having to also worry too much about expenses.
Pet owners with older pets
Owners with aging pets need insurance to cover any diseases that may arise and to continue any treatments for existing conditions.
Owners with multiple pets
People with more than one pet can potentially save a lot of money with pet insurance. Paying for services individually is sure to add up over time, and having insurance will keep out-of-pocket expenses low.
Owners of young pets
Owners with young pets will find that trips to the vet during the first year is routine. From vaccinations to checkups, pet health insurance can help off set the cost of those visits. Insuring younger pets is usually more cost-effective and can save the owner money over the pet's lifetime.
AKC Pet insurance was founded in 2003 by John Spurling, who first offered pet insurance to the Kennel Club of Great Britain in the 1980s. The company's headquarters are now located in Seattle, Washington.
- Flea, tick and heartworm prevention covered: AKC Pet Insurance pays all fees for flea, tick and heartworm prevention for dogs covered by their policies.
- Multi-pet discounts: People that insurance more than one pet with AKC get a 5 percent discount on each additional pet.
- Wide coverage: AKC covers treatment from any veterinarian, which means pet owners can take their pets to the vet of their choice.
- No age exclusions: AKC will cover dog owners of any age, and they will not refuse insurance to dogs due to advanced age.
- Long filing allowance: The company allows people 180 days to file their insurance claims. This ensures that people who do not have the time to file claims right away can still receive benefits for their pet.
- Best for Dog owners with older dogs, dog owners with multiple dogs, and dog owners who are loyal to their current vet.
PetFirst is a pet insurance company that offers inclusive coverage for both dogs and cats. Founded in 2005, the company offers typically less restrictive pet insurance plans.
- Customizable plans: PetFirst is able to work with pet owners to create the best plan for their type of pet, family size, budget and more.
- Senior coverage: There is no upper age restriction for pets covered by PetFirst, which means even older pets can get coverage.
- No breed restrictions: PetFirst does not restrict what breeds of dogs or cats it will cover.
- Routine care provision: Pet owners who choose to add this feature to their policy can receive financial assistance for routine care coverage, including vaccines, teeth cleaning, routine exams and more.
- Family plans offered: The company offers discounted family plans to families with multiple pets; for up to three pets under the age of 10.
- Best for Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with older pets, and pet owners with multiple pets.
Drawing on more than 35 years of experience in the pet insurance industry, through their relationship with sister company Petplan UK, Petplan offers policies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. As the insurer of choice for rescues and animal shelters nationwide, they are an industry leader in the pet insurance space.
- High annual limits: With annual expense reimbursements reaching up to $22,000 per year, pet parents will have access to a high level of care.
- Tiered pricing: Get as much or as little coverage as needed, based on personal circumstances. For those that have access to in-home care, Bronze coverage gives them the same health benefits without the added costs for boarding coverage.
- Customizable coverage: In addition to tiered coverage, there is also considerable customization available. Choose a deductible and reimbursement level based on personal finances and affordability.
- No networks: Petplan policyholders can pick and choose their pet health provider. There are no networks or preferred providers.
- Fast reimbursement: Vet bills can cost thousands of dollars, so quick reimbursement can be crucial. Petplan typically processes and pays out on claims within 14 days.
- Best for Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.
PetPremium is an insurance company that helps pet owners ensure their pets live longer and healthier lives. It offers pet owners insurance against illness or accident so that owners don't have to pay out of pocket for vet bills.
- Website offers pet health articles: PetPremium hires veterinarians to write articles on various aspects of pet health so that users can quickly get their questions answered.
- Wellness coverage available: Users can purchase insurance that covers routine visits such as yearly checkups.
- Chronic conditions may be covered: Users who have an older pet or a pet with a chronic disease can get special care covered.
- Three levels of coverage: PetPremium offers various levels of coverage to meet different needs pet owners may have.
- Behavioral treatments may be covered: Users who need help with their pet's behavioral problems can get coverage for specialized treatment.
- Best for Owners of multiple pets, people whose pet has a chronic health condition , and people who are getting their first pet.
Pets Best is a pet insurance company for dogs and cats that was founded in 2005. The company was founded by the person often considered the "father" of pet insurance in North America, Jack Stephens.
- Free online quote: Pet owners can receive a fast and convenient quote for their pet online, hassle-free.
- Discounts offered: Customers who choose Pets Best can take advantage of discounts for covering multiple pets with the company.
- Dog and cat insurance: Pet owners who have both cats and dogs can cover them with one company, since Pets Best offers plans for both.
- Insurance levels offered: The company offers three different levels of insurance at different prices, so pet owners can choose the proper amount of coverage they thing is necessary for their pet.
- Specialized plans for special situations: Pets Best offers specialized only plans, like Cancer Only Coverage, for pet owners with pets in specific health situations.
- Best for Pet owners with multiple pets, pet owners with both cats and dogs , and pet owners with pets who have cancer.
Trupanion is a pet medical insurance company founded by CEO Darryl Rawlings. The company is a founding member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA) and has been publicly traded since July of 2014.
- Dog and cat coverage: With Trupanion, pet owners can get pet medical insurance for both dogs and their cats.
- 90% coverage: The company offers pet owners 90% coverage of actual veterinary costs for all approved pet accidents and illnesses.
- Unlimited lifetime coverage: Trupanion has no limit on the number of accidents, illnesses or years a pet can be covered for.
- Educational information: The company offers pet owners educational information via its website and print materials, which helps give tips for health, nutrition and warning signs for illness.
- Community focused: In addition to providing pet insurance, the company also contributes a lot to community organizations, contributing more than $200,000 to animal welfare programs across the country.
- Best for Pet owners with dogs and cats, new pet owners and pet owners with rambunctious pets.
24Petwatch is a company that specializes in pet protection services. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, New York.
- Variety of services: 24Petwatch does not only offer pet insurance; it also offers lost pet recovery services such as microchip pet registration, pet identification and pet recovery tips.
- Services for dogs and cats: The company will cover both dogs and cats, so pet owners can insure both types of pets.
- Unlimited number of accidents: The company will cover an unlimited number of accidents or illnesses, as long as the amount of payment is under the coverage limit.
- Free quotes: Pet owners do not have to make a commitment when deciding whether to use the company's services, since 24PetWatch offers pet owners free, no-obligation quotes.
- No limits on vet selection: Pet owners can take their pet to any vet of their choosing.
- Best for Pet owners with dogs and cats, pet owners with loyalty to a vet and pet owners with active, or rambunctious pets.
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance is a pet insurance company that offers health insurance through Hartville Pet Insurance Group. This division of the company was founded in 2006.
- Wide variety of vet options: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance covers services from all licensed vets in Canada and the U.S., meaning pet owners can choose from a wide variety of vets.
- Money back guarantee: The company allows customers to try the company with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Easy claim filing: Pet owners can file claims with the company's one-page filing system.
- Multiple pet discounts: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance offers 10 percent discounts for pet owners with multiple eligible pets they choose to cover.
- Online claim tracking: Pet owners can simply track the status of filed claims via the tracking services offer on the ASPCA's website.
- Best for Pet owners with multiple pets, pet owners with cats and dogs and pet owners with a loyalty to a vet.
Embrace Pet Insurance is a pet insurance company that has been in operation since 2006, focusing on sustainability and providing expert pet care.
- Ability to compare plans: Embrace has a great website that allows consumers to compare their plans with other insurance companies in order to choose the best option.
- Covers both dogs and cats: Embrace will cover treatment for both dogs and cats of any age.
- Experienced: They have been in business for almost 10 years and are a trusted name in the industry.
- No per-incident limitations: Embrace doesn't restrict the overall amount you can be reimbursed for a specific accident or illness like many insurance companies do.
- Hereditary and genetic condition coverage: Embrace covers genetic conditions that your pet might be prone to, such as digestive issues or dysplasia, in full up to the annual maximum that you have chosen.
- Best for Pet owners with pets with hereditary or genetic conditions, pet owners with old pets, and pet owners with multiple pets.
Since its inception in 2009, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation has been improving the health of domestic animals. They offer insurance policies and fund a foundation dedicated to providing vet care to animal rescue organizations.
- Unlimited lifetime coverage: In the event of an accident or illness, there is no maximum amount that this company will reimburse for veterinary care.
- No annual maximums: With Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation, there is no maximum amount for reimbursements, so there are no limits to the treatments available for a family pet.
- Lifetime discounts: Those who insure a pet for multiple years may be eligible to receive a discounted price on their monthly premiums, making pet health insurance more affordable.
- Employee discounts available: Those who work for a corporate sponsor or partner may be eligible to receive an even larger discount.
- Mobile claim submission: As one of the first companies to offer an app with mobile claim submission functions, this organization shows their dedication to customer convenience.
- Best for Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.
Founded in 1982, when Veterinary Pet Insurance issued their first policy on TV star Lassie, this company has insured more than 1 million pets. Their commitment to making quality vet care affordable is backed by the financial stability of one of the world's largest insurance companies, Nationwide.
- Emergency help line: Emergencies can happen at any time, so having access to those trained in veterinary medicine 24/7 can make all the difference. Veterinary Pet Insurance offers free access to its help line with any of its policies.
- Tiered service plans: Veterinary care can be expensive, even when only looking at annual routine care. This company offers plans that cover everything from routine maintenance to comprehensive coverage.
- Exotic pets covered: In addition to their plans that cover dogs and cats, this pet health insurance company also offers coverage for everything from sugar gliders to opossums.
- Immediate coverage: Many pet insurance plans have a waiting period between enrollment and effective coverage date. With Veterinary Pet Insurance, coverage begins 24 hours after receiving payment.
- No networks: Use the vet you are most comfortable with and take control of the treatment plan. Covered services are always covered, with no pre-approvals needed.
- Best for Dog lovers, cat lovers, exotic pet owners and multi-pet households.
Pet Assure is a membership program that allows users to receive discounts on health care for their pets. It has been offering these discounts since 1995.
- No waiting period: Users can begin receiving discounts on their vet bills as soon as they sign up.
- No use limits: Users can take advantage of this service as much as needed. There is no upper limit to service.
- Upfront savings: Users don't have to wait for reimbursement; they get discounts and savings at the time of their vet visit.
- No exclusions: Any pet residing in the household is eligible for coverage using this company.
- 45-day warranty: Users have 45 days to cancel their service for a full refund if they don't find it meets their expectations.
- Searchable online database: Users who do not yet have a regular vet for their pets can search this company's website by ZIP code to find vets in their area.
- Discounts on prescriptions: Users can receive a discount on prescriptions from PetRx.com when they use this service.
- Best for Households with multiple pets, households with pets who have chronic illnesses, and households with older pets.
Figo Pet Insurance, created in 2012, is a company that provides health insurance for cats and dogs. It's the first cloud-based insurance company that offers personal Web-based tools and applications for pets and pet owners.
- Healthcare made easy: Figo Pet Insurance's simple claims process makes it easy to upload a bill and be reimbursed for veterinary expenses.
- Easy-to-use mobile app: Figo Pet Insurance's Pet Cloud app allows owners to track their pets if they wander off as well as locate nearby veterinarians, parks and pet-friendly restaurants and hotels.
- Centralized records: Subscribers can upload documents such as vital records, certificates and special moments directly into the Figo Pet Insurance Pet Cloud app from any device.
- Automated alerts: Figo Pet Insurance's Pet Cloud app automatically sends alerts to remind pet owners of veterinarian appointments and office visits.
- Personalized options: Figo Pet Insurance offers a variety of different plans that allow subscribers to choose the level of care that best fits their budget.
- Best for Tech-savvy pet owners who want to take steps to ensure their pets receive quality healthcare
Based in Indiana, HappiPets Insurance is dedicated to providing the best health care available to furry family members. The company's staff is made up of pet lovers who understand the stress that comes with vet visits, which is part of the reason for its award-winning customer service.
- Multi-pet discounts: When furry family members are a big part of the household, it pays to get coverage for every four-legged member. HappiPets Insurance covers up to three pets under 10 years old on a single policy.
- No incident limits: While there are annual benefit limits, there are no maximums for a specific issue. So if an accident happens, your pet can use the entire annual maximum to get the quickest possible recovery.
- Routine care coverage: With this add-on, pets can enjoy annual preventive vet visits, flea and tick repellents, heartworm medication and behavior training.
- No heredity exclusions: Given particular breeds are prone to developing certain illnesses, some pet insurance companies exclude coverage for things like dysplasia or cancer. With HappiPets, there are no exclusions for hereditary conditions, breed-specific diseases or chronic and congenital illnesses.
- No exam required: Pets can enjoy coverage immediately, no matter when their last vet visit took place.
- Best for Dog owners, cat owners and pet rescuers.
Pet Insurance Quiz
Do you need pet insurance?
We're gathering data, and we need your help.
Take this short survey to contribute to our research.
The results are in!
You love your animals more than some of the humans in your life, and would do anything to keep them healthy and happy. You will probably benefit from pet insurance – especially if you don’t have a savings account set up to cover emergency medical costs. If your furry friend has a preexisting condition or is a breed that typically needs more veterinary care than others, you should consider which plans cover genetic diseases and pay attention to coverage limits. Remember to read each policy thoroughly and consult your veterinarian before committing to a certain plan.
Your pet may be the perfect picture of health, but even routine visits can add up, especially if you have multiple animals, so you should look into plans that cover vaccinations, cleanings, etc. And although they are healthy now, accidents happen, and if the thought of losing your furry companion brings tears to your eyes, pet insurance might be a good idea. Remember to read each policy thoroughly and consult your veterinarian before committing to a certain plan.
If you’re a saver or own a pet that is less prone to developing genetic or chronic diseases, you might be okay without purchasing pet insurance. Have an exotic pet? Very few insurance companies will cover them, but there are some options available so be sure to do your research. Remember to read each policy thoroughly and consult your veterinarian before committing to a certain plan.
Your love your animals but they have good health and ultimately, the cost probably outweighs the potential benefit. Regardless, things happen. You might consider setting up a special savings account to cover emergency medical costs if you don’t always have extra money on hand. Remember to read each policy thoroughly and consult your veterinarian before committing to a certain plan.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
11 – 14 Most Reviewed Pet Insurance Providers
PetAssure is a membership club that offers discounts on veterinary services and supplies. Using this company, members can take advantage of discounts at the vet's office rather than waiting for reimbursement from insurance.
PetPremium Wellness coverage starts the day after it is purchased, so pets can see the vet when they need to. Tiered pricing and low incident limits helps keep these plans affordable, along with several deductible options.
|Read Expert Review|
HappiPets Insurance is an award-winning pet insurance provider. The company helps pet parents defray the cost of unexpected veterinary visits by offering reimbursements in the event of a covered illness or injury.
|Read Expert Review|
Figo is a cloud-based pet insurance company, which makes it easy for pet owners to keep track of their veterinary visits and claim submissions. Figo offers three flexible pet insurance plans.