2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

4.9/5 (22 ratings)

About TrustedPals Pet Insurance

TrustedPals Pet Insurance provides health coverage for dogs and cats that can help significantly offset vet bills for pet owners. Insurance coverage is available for injuries or illness, and policyholders can use any licensed veterinarian of their choosing. A wellness plan is also available to stay ahead of your pet’s needs.

Pros

• Covers prescription food
  • Covers prescription supplements
  • Affordable plans for young pets
  • Customizable quotes

Cons

• Preventative care extra
  • Expensive coverage for older pets

Bottom Line

TrustedPals Pet Insurance offers sick and injured pet coverage for dogs and cats. If you insure your pet while they’re young, coverage is affordable and protects you against surprise vet bills.

How does TrustedPals Pet Insurance work?

TrustedPals Pet Insurance keeps things simple by offering two plans, one for dogs and one for cats. Each plan provides the same coverage, but you can customize the annual benefit amount.

With TrustedPals insurance, you pay a monthly or annual fee for coverage. When your pet is ill or injured, you take them to your preferred veterinarian and send the bill to TrustedPals for reimbursement. You’re responsible for a copay and deductible, and TrustedPals pays the rest.

TrustedPals Pet Insurance Coverage

TrustedPals' policies cover:

• Sick/hurt pet vet visits and treatments
  • Surgery
  • Prescription medications
  • Prescription food and supplements

TrustedPals does not cover:

• Preexisting conditions
  • Nonprescription treatments, food and supplements
  • Boarding
  • Grooming

Hip dysplasia and cruciate ligament injuries are not covered for the first 12 months of your policy, but these conditions are covered after your first full year of coverage.

Preventative care, including wellness exams, nail trims and heartworm protection, is not covered unless you opt for the company’s add-on wellness plan.

TrustedPals Pet Insurance cost

TrustedPals' prices vary based on your chosen annual benefit, copay and deductible. There’s a simple quote tool on the company’s website that lets you adjust your plan until you’re satisfied with the quote.

We ran through a sample quote for a 3-year-old golden retriever mix. The website’s settings for our quote defaulted to a $250 deductible and 20% copay. You can then select an annual benefit amount to get your monthly premium cost. Here were the options:

TrustedPals’ monthly cost for a 3-year-old golden retriever mix

Annual benefitMonthly cost
$4,000$32
$8,000$35
$15,000$39
Unlimited$46

When we adjusted our sample dog’s age from 3 to 12, the price went up significantly. With the same $250 deductible and 20% copay, we received these quotes:

TrustedPals’ monthly cost for a 12-year-old golden retriever mix

Annual benefitMonthly cost
$4,000$89
$8,000$99
$15,000$109
Unlimited$129

You can opt to pay monthly or annually, but we saw no discount for annual payments. Service dogs get a 5% discount on their premium.

TrustedPals Pet Insurance FAQ

Does TrustedPals offer any discounts?
Yes, there are a few discounts you can take advantage of from TrustedPals. Any of the following qualifies you for a 5% discount on your premium.

For pets:

• Service animal discount
  • Multi-pet discount

For pet owners:

• Active military personnel and veterans
  • First responders
  • Veterinary students
  • Veterinary clinic employees
Does TrustedPals Pet Insurance cover preexisting conditions?
No. Like most pet insurance companies, TrustedPals does not cover preexisting conditions.
What is TrustedPals Pet Insurance’s cancellation policy?
You can cancel your TrustedPals insurance by calling customer service.
Does TrustedPals provide preventative care?
TrustedPals’ pet insurance plans do not include preventative care, but the company offers a wellness program for an additional fee. The wellness program covers services like teeth cleaning, spaying or neutering, flea and tick prevention and vaccines.

Is TrustedPals Pet Insurance worth it?

TrustedPals Pet Insurance has a relatively low monthly fee for younger pets, and having an insurance plan can easily pay for itself with one or two large vet bills. Prices for older pets are more expensive but similar to what we’ve seen from other pet insurance companies. We recommend getting a quote from TrustedPals and comparing it to one or two competitors to make an informed decision.

TrustedPals Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TrustedPals Pet Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TrustedPals Pet Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

After my previous pet insurance company raised my rates to the level of insanity, I looked around for a new insurer. TrustedPals popped up and after a little exploration on their website I had no hesitation about signing up. My dog is a service dog so his health and safety is very important to me and, consequently, having good insurance for him is a must. I signed up for a TrustedPals policy without a cap so I don't have to worry about vet costs. Sure, I still have to pay 10% but I can deal with that if it means keeping my dog alive and well. Thankfully I haven't had to file a claim yet but I feel confident that TrustedPals is there when I need them. They keep in touch via newsletters so I always know they are around and they still have my dog's back. I did a lot of shopping and from what I can tell, you won't find a better pet insurance policy on the market today!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Best decision I could ever make!! I decided to get insurance when I couldn't afford to pay the bills out-of-pocket for my senior dog. This is when I tried out TrustedPals, and glad it worked out. It's super easy to sign up. Making a claim was super easy as well and took less than 5 minutes. I also like how they gave out email confirmations stating that my claim went through and I am able to feel relaxed. Not to mention that when I had to call because I had multiple questions; they were super fast to answer and got my response which helped me to feel at ease. Not to mention, the staff always attending to my needs which I appreciate! Honestly, I am glad to have insurance that cares about me and my dog's needs!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I did a lot of research in pet insurance; price, deductibles, coverage, limits, etc. and compared each side by side. My conclusion was to use TrustedPals for coverage (illness/accident coverage and wellness coverage - routine vet visits coverage) of my newly rescue dog only after calling them and talking with a representative. He was very informative on the coverage and such. Additionally, he advised me of the claims policy; payment type, procedure in providing vet invoices and time it would take to process.

I had my first claim; routine vet visit, vaccines, etc.. Paid myself at the vet, vet emailed invoice, uploaded invoice to TrustedPals' website. I received an email that they will review the claim and notify me within five business days. Once verified or accepted, I was notified of the amount/coverage that will be paid (directly into my bank account). Note: Everything was covered on the vet's invoice except state sales tax. I was informed that the payment would be done in 14 business days. Total time from claim submitted (Nov 13) to payment into my account (Dec 3); 14 business days total - so less than what was provided! So far, I am happy with the overall value, professionalism and response with TrustedPals and I would recommend this coverage for your pet. I will update this post if needed. Be Safe!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

TrustedPals has been excellent so far! Nearly immediately after getting my rescue dog, she came down with HGE, which required an overnight emergency hospital stay. I would have had to pay nearly $2k out of pocket if I hadn't had pet insurance. The claim process was incredibly smooth, and I love that they cover vaccinations and other care as well! Such a good deal for my peace of mind, and given the aforementioned emergency, TrustedPals has already paid for itself for over 3 years. I know there are quite a lot of companies out there - I priced out the top 10 when shopping around and Trusted Pals had the most comprehensive coverage for the cheapest. Even with that, I have had no issues with filing claims or receiving reimbursements, and their coverage is incredibly clear.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I retired as a Legal Assistant so I am used to doing a lot of research. I wanted to get the best insurance for my pet that I could afford. I checked out over 30 companies, but only Trusted Pals offered me not only various levels pf coverage but various levels of copays AND they pay for things that most companies don't begin to cover like dental cleanings, Dr. prescribed supplements, nail trimming, routine vaccines, etc.

Most of these are covered by adding their wellness coverage but it is very reasonable. So while I agree this company is relatively new they actually offer services that are of use to the average pet owner as well as the peace of mind in knowing your fur baby will be protected against the big things that might happen too. You also get a choice of deductibles. I have not yet needed to use my coverage but it's great knowing I will never need to make a choice between getting any care my honey needs and not being able to afford it.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I am very happy I was forced to look for a different policy due to increased prices in my previous policy. I was able to get the same coverage for less a cost with Trustedpals. There is even some additional coverage that I didn't have with other insurances that I do with trusted pals like prescription food! My dog has digestive issues and has to take specific food that is pricey so it's great that it is covered! I love their customer service, It doesn't take forever to speak to someone. Overall the last 6 months have just been a great experience.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I recently switched my dog's health insurance to TrustedPals after my previous insurance premiums jumped in price drastically. I have been impressed by their knowledgeable responses to my questions and concerns. AND not only is the new premium 2/3 less than the previous insurance plan, the coverage is much better!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I’ve filed 3 claims so far and the response time and interactions have exceeded my expectations. Filing a claim is very easy. Response times even during holidays have been within 24-72 hours. Details of benefits have been explained every step of the way.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

After careful research we purchased pet insurance by a new company called TrustedPals. The company had great reviews however the one downside was their preventative extra insurance is not even enough to cover our pet, Bears dog dental cleaning. We hope they change this in the future to be higher limits otherwise their insurance seems above par.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

After looking at what felt like a million pet insurance companies I finally found TrustedPals. What I loved the most was that they didn't allocate how I had to use the money within the 'wellness plan'. Any time I've ever had a question regarding a claim, I always get a quick response and these people are the nicest around. It feels like the Chick-fil-A of pet insurance companies! I haven't had to use it for any accidents yet, but so far I'm very happy with the wellness plan.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I hope to not have to use the insurance portion of my policy, but if I do, I’m glad that there are no limits. Very bills can add up in a hurry. Sign up process was easy, and this policy is the same as what I’ve paid elsewhere, but with no limits.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

Website login lacks features but getting better. Provides good value, professional, responsive. Claims sometimes take longer than expected but when contacting them they are able to see what is keeping it. It is easy to sign up for the insurance plan.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I have researched and used different pet insurance before, and TrustedPals is pretty good. Offering good coverage options and reasonable pricing. As the result of the industry that I work in, I do know that it is backed by a reputable large insurance company, which definitely helps. Luckily I have not had to file a claim yet, so I cannot comment on their claim handling. I had to interact with customer service for a policy amendment, and they were very responsive and friendly.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

My fur baby’s pet insurance kept going up with her old company because she is getting older. I decided to do some research and make the switch to TrustedPals. I’m glad I switched because so far we have no complaints and I’m very happy with their service. Thanks for taking care of my girl!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

So far so good,??? Took my Gabby to the vet for prevention care, vaccinations, labs, heartworm/flea/tick prevention. I filled claim and was reimbursed all the money that was owed to me and was deposited in my bank account in 2 weeks.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

So far, I can’t say enough about the ease of enrollment (and love the fact that they act like they are talking to my dog!), the considerable value and extensive selection of the policies. We previously had pet insurance through another Insurance company and cancelled due to the extremely high premiums and poor customer service (think high cost and a fight to get anything covered). TrustedPals premiums are much lower and the policies cover much more - we even signed up for the Wellness plan. Our dog is turning 4 and we hope to have a long relationship with TrustedPals. Glad to have found TrustedPals.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I've had TrustedPals for a few weeks and I have no complaints. My dog is a rescue pup so it's a bit sensitive when it comes to health. So far, I've submitted a few claims and the process has been smooth. The customer service department is there to help you via phone and email. They're all very helpful, but most importantly kind.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

I had been putting off getting pet insurance because I thought it was very complicated. Once I came across Trusted Pals, I let out a sigh of relief! The coverages were explained in an easy manner. I absolutely love their wellness plan coverage as well! Great coverage for a great price. Submitting claims is really easy, they are quick and refund you quickly as well. I’m a very happy customer!

TrustedPals Pet Insurance response

Sandra,

Thank you for your review. We are glad you are pleased with TrustedPals and the coverage it provides your pet.

Regards,

Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Trusted Pals has been good to us as they accept our claims and payouts. I am the type of person who does not buy into the marketing, provide me the exact service you stated in a reasonable time and we are good. We have a golden retriever puppy which are known to get into trouble and it is good to have peace of mind when something happens. I am thankful that we are able to recoup some of our costs with insurance.

However, their website interface is not useful or usable to me. When I click the dashboard, I am expecting to see information such as my deductible, how far am I from meeting it, my maximum out of pocket and how far along am I to maxing that out. I want to see all my claims listed and their status. The fact that their website doesn't show that is unacceptable in 2020. Their competitors probably have better user interfaces. Even when you click documents all you see are your uploaded documents and not claims. They need to put focus on providing a good user interface.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

TrustedPals is has been a dream for my cat, Sam, and I! I've had a bad experience with other insurances with having to get medical exams before getting coverage, not having the right medical documentation to ensure claim payment, etc., and TrustedPals has been a dream compared to those! For the coverage and the customer service, it cannot be beat for the price! I would recommend TrustedPals to all pet owners.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

After comparing 10+ different pet insurance companies, I chose TrustedPals. I have yet to need the accident/illness coverage (luckily), but I love the peace of mind I get. I also really appreciated that I was able to chose my deducible. As a student, I wanted my dog to be covered, but I have a strict budget. The big reasons TrustedPals stood out to me was: (1) I can use any vet/location; (2) their wellness add-on gives you a lump-sum to spend (instead of limits per item/vaccine that were lower than my vet charges); and (3) includes dental. All for lower/on par with many other large insurance companies.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

The coverage, which I did not expect to use quickly, had huge impact on my family and Boxer with the oral surgery and dental coverage as she had issues that were serious we were not aware about. It enabled us to make decisions as a family without hesitation.

TrustedPals Pet Insurance Company Information