3.93/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Embrace Pet Insurance is a pet health insurance provider offering comprehensive, personalized insurance products for dogs and cats across the US. Wellness Rewards is a feature of Embrace that can be added to any insurance policy that reimburses for routine and preventative care. Embrace is consistently ranked as one of the highest-rated U.S. pet insurance companies and is a proud member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association. Embrace is the only company to offer a diminishing deductible feature, the Healthy Pet Deductible, and continues to innovate and improve the pet insurance experience for pet parents across the country.

160 Embrace Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: July 11, 2019

My husband scheduled our dog's annual physical and I didn't know about it until after he'd already taken her. I've explained to him more than once that insurance will only cover one physical per year (humans & pets) so they have to be scheduled for at least a year after the previous physical. This one was less than 10 months after her previous physical.

I filed the claim online and, as I expected, received a check for just the small amount remaining available after payment on the previous physical. I had just paid $200+ for an emergency passport to replace a lost one (that was then found that evening) and, because of a bank error, came back from vacation to hundreds of dollars in NSF fees (only about 1/3 of which the bank would reimburse). So I felt like I was being pummeled by unnecessary expenses. I HATE wasting money, and now I was out about $200 because my dog's physical wasn't covered.

I figured it was worth a shot, so I called Embrace and explained that this was my dog's annual physical, that I didn't know why my husband had taken her 2 months earlier than the previous year, and asked if there was any way they would cover it as if it had been a full year. The rep told me that she would submit it. I just received the decision and they covered it in full! This really made my day and took a lot of the sting out of my recent expense attack. Embrace wasn't my first pet insurance company, but I have been with them for a few years now and they are far superior to my previous insurer. I wish I could put my kids on this plan. I will be with Embrace for as long as I have pets.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My dog was diagnosed with a cruciate ligament tear, and the diagnosis was my first claim. This claim initially took WAY too long and the communication with me (or complete lack thereof) about what was causing the hold up was extremely frustrating. Every time I called in, a different person gave me a different reason and then claimed to resolve it, only for nothing to be updated and the claim to not be processed. In fact, the first time it was processed, it was declined due to the processor not reading the date of the invoice, but rather reading the date of her vaccinations that is logged on all invoices. That type of mistake is pure laziness.

After multiple calls and chats with various representatives, the claim was finally approved. After that, it was smooth sailing. Her surgery claim was approved quickly and efficiently, although I’ve realized that I must submit all claims myself instead of allowing my vet to submit them directly, as your company claims to have never received the documents directly from the vet, despite them sending the documents via multiple methods on multiple occasions. The reimbursement check was sent out quickly and received quickly, so overall, the frustrations were worth it.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We had rescued 2 pit bull-mastiff-lab mix puppies from a local Humane Society. Both were in great health but when one of them, Hamilton, developed a limp when he was a year and a half, we took him to the local vet who diagnosed him with a TPLO of the right hind leg, basically, as I understand it, he tore the tendon in the knee. He needed surgery so we took him to a nearby vet who specializes in sports injuries for dogs.

Hamilton came through surgery great, and then several weeks later did the same to his left hind leg. So back to the vet we went to get that repaired. Both surgeries were covered by Embrace. They paid 80% of the total bill - both for the local vet who first diagnosed the problem and for the vet who actually did the surgery. Without this insurance, we wouldn't have been able to afford the cost and may have had to have taken other measures. Now we have a dog with two bionic legs and is a great and friendly part of our family. I would recommend Embrace Pet Insurance to everyone.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My very first pug, Ping, was 12.5 when she passed in 2013. In her later years she suffered with a UTI that wouldn't go away. Her vet bills were very expensive, as you can imagine. She needed an Ultra Sound for almost $2K. Whether it would have helped or not I have no idea. During this illness she was on expensive medication, special diet food purchased via my vet, and constant urine tests and cultures. As a retired individual I did the best I could for Ping. As an aging pug, she also developed spinal stenosis and lost control of her back legs and bladder. At the time, wheels for dogs weren't as popular and affordable as they are today. I lost my beautiful baby when I felt her quality of life was gone. I swore at that moment that I would never ever have a pug without purchasing insurance for it.

It just so happened that my vet had a mat on his counter which advertised Embrace Pet Insurance. I remembered that when I adopted two rescue pugs 6 months later. While the cost was around 2K for both dogs, my peace of mind was bought, too. It had wellness care which included dental and OTC items, doctor visits for illness and catastrophic care. I had no doubt that this was the way to go for me and my "girls". I now have only 1 pug, but I know she is Embraced! This is long winded I know but I can't say enough about the peace of mind Embrace has given me. I swear by this company and recommend it to others 100%.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

In 2009, I got my first Cocker Spaniel, and shortly thereafter I joined a cocker spaniel forum to learn more about the breed, grooming tips, etc. I learned a lot from this forum, particularly that cockers are predisposed to a variety of health issues, many of which are extremely expensive to treat. The other thing that I learned was that many of the owners obtained pet insurance for their cockers, but had mixed reviews as to their reputations. One company that kept getting excellent reviews was Embrace, and that is the company that I chose for my dog when she was a couple of years old. Their reputation for paying based on actual costs, and for not having breed-specific exclusions were two positive features that I liked.

Fast forward several claim-free years, and Gromit tore the ccl in her knee, requiring surgery. The cost of the surgery and follow-up exams was over $4,000. My first pleasant surprise was that since I had not filed any prior claims, my deductible was automatically reduced! Next, the claims that I submitted were not only paid quickly and without question, but the agent suggested that I set up direct deposit so that I could receive reimbursement even faster. As Gromit has gotten older, the premiums have increased. But the peace of mind that Embrace has provided is worth it to me. I didn't have to hesitate about getting Gromit the surgery that she needed regardless of the cost. And watching her run around and play, pain free and fully-healed, warms my heart.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I had a first time great experience when my cat became very ill. They paid the claim as promised and I didn’t have to wait very long for the claim check. Awesome explanation and benefits are nice by comparison to what I would have had to pay for my Abigail!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

Embrace has been a blessing to us. I adopted a 8 year old Golden girl Mary. She has been having abdominal bloating and we have had to spend a lot on trying to pinpoint what is causing it and Embrace have paid everything I am suppose to get back. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I have policies for both my dog and cat under Embrace insurance. I have submitted 12 claims and every single claim except for one has been rejected - even when 2 of the claims had the vets themselves file appeals. Embrace has very broad language around what is considered a pre-existing condition and therefore reject nearly every single claim I've submitted. It feels like a scam. One example - we rescued our dog, and when we first brought him to the vet they noted that he was itchy. 6 months later, our dog got an ear infection due to yeast buildup after giving him a bath. Embrace rejected the claim because "itchiness" was a pre-existing condition - even though it has absolutely nothing to do with a one-off ear infection. Avoid Embrace at all costs - use Trupanion or one of the other companies.

Embrace Pet Insurance response

Hello Justin,

I am sorry to hear about your frustration with Embrace Pet Insurance. One of our core values is open and honest, which we take very seriously. We provide the policy terms and conditions upon purchase of the policy and encourage our pet parents to read them and understand the policy. We try to keep the policy documents as short and easy to understand as possible. It is unfortunate that pet insurance can't cover pre-existing conditions, but this is the nature of the industry and currently, no pet insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions. I commend you for rescuing a dog, but unfortunately, if a condition was noted prior to the start of the policy, it is not eligible for coverage.

If there is anything else I can do to help you, you already have my contact information, so please do not hesitate to let me know.

Take care,

Rachel,

Claims Manager

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

The claims process was so easy! I used the on-line claim option and filing was a snap! Embrace kept me informed of my claim status and the check arrived in a timely fashion. I am very pleased I took out insurance on Molly!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Canceling policy after, roughly, six months of having it. After purchasing a puppy, our second dog in the household, we decided to get pet insurance to cover annual exams, surgeries, etc. Three months after having our puppy we found out that he suffered from persistent hyperplastic primary vitreous/persistent hyaloid artery. We sent a claim in and got rejected because it was a pre-existing condition. Ok...understandable.

Months later we scheduled him to get neutered and the specialist suggested that we also get his eyes removed since our puppy has been blind since birth anyway. So we did. We submitted our claims for the surgery and once again got denied. Apparently surgery is separate from neutering in our policy??? And we were told that we needed to purchase another policy along with the one we already had in order for neutering to be covered. They are also denying his enucleation surgery because it is related to his pre-existing condition. So our dog had surgery. Our policy covers surgeries and yet the claim was denied.

After his surgery, he had a couple of seizures which caused us to go back to the vet. They ran blood tests to determine why he was having seizures. At this point we still don't know why he suffered seizures - the vet has not diagnosed him with anything. Embrace is also rejecting his blood tests. I am paying $70.00 a month for pet insurance that has no benefit at all. In our experience, Embrace is VERY quick to deny all of our claims and not worth the money.

Embrace Pet Insurance response

Hello Kristina,

I am sorry to hear about your frustration with Embrace. The policy you purchased excludes coverage for all preventative/routine procedures. This means charges such as annual exams, vaccinations, heartworm and flea preventatives, and spay/neuter procedures are not covered by the policy. I understand this is frustrating, but the insurance policy is for unexpected accidents and illnesses, not for routine treatment, which is why Squiggy's neuter surgery was not eligible for coverage with his accident and illness insurance policy.

Regarding his eye condition, it was noted prior to the date the policy was purchased, which makes it a pre-existing condition. Pet insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions. This means any treatments or diagnostic testing related to the pre-existing condition is excluded from coverage. I'm sorry this is the case, I wish I was able to provide better news on this front.

If there is anything else I can help with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Take care,

Rachel

Claims Manager

Embrace Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Embrace Pet Insurance is a pet insurance company that has been in operation since 2006, focusing on sustainability and providing expert pet care.

• Ability to compare plans: Embrace has a great website that allows consumers to compare their plans with other insurance companies in order to choose the best option.

• Covers both dogs and cats: Embrace will cover treatment for both dogs and cats of any age.

• Experienced: They have been in business for almost 10 years and are a trusted name in the industry.

• No per-incident limitations: Embrace doesn't restrict the overall amount you can be reimbursed for a specific accident or illness like many insurance companies do.

• Hereditary and genetic condition coverage: Embrace covers genetic conditions that your pet might be prone to, such as digestive issues or dysplasia, in full up to the annual maximum that you have chosen.

• Best for: Pet owners with pets with hereditary or genetic conditions, pet owners with old pets, and pet owners with multiple pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky