3.52/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Embrace Pet Insurance is a pet health insurance provider offering comprehensive, personalized insurance products for dogs and cats across the US. Wellness Rewards is a feature of Embrace that can be added to any insurance policy that reimburses for routine and preventative care. Embrace is consistently ranked as one of the highest-rated U.S. pet insurance companies and is a proud member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association. Embrace is the only company to offer a diminishing deductible feature, the Healthy Pet Deductible, and continues to innovate and improve the pet insurance experience for pet parents across the country.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: July 11, 2019

My husband scheduled our dog's annual physical and I didn't know about it until after he'd already taken her. I've explained to him more than once that insurance will only cover one physical per year (humans & pets) so they have to be scheduled for at least a year after the previous physical. This one was less than 10 months after her previous physical.

I filed the claim online and, as I expected, received a check for just the small amount remaining available after payment on the previous physical. I had just paid $200+ for an emergency passport to replace a lost one (that was then found that evening) and, because of a bank error, came back from vacation to hundreds of dollars in NSF fees (only about 1/3 of which the bank would reimburse). So I felt like I was being pummeled by unnecessary expenses. I HATE wasting money, and now I was out about $200 because my dog's physical wasn't covered.

I figured it was worth a shot, so I called Embrace and explained that this was my dog's annual physical, that I didn't know why my husband had taken her 2 months earlier than the previous year, and asked if there was any way they would cover it as if it had been a full year. The rep told me that she would submit it. I just received the decision and they covered it in full! This really made my day and took a lot of the sting out of my recent expense attack. Embrace wasn't my first pet insurance company, but I have been with them for a few years now and they are far superior to my previous insurer. I wish I could put my kids on this plan. I will be with Embrace for as long as I have pets.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My dog was diagnosed with a cruciate ligament tear, and the diagnosis was my first claim. This claim initially took WAY too long and the communication with me (or complete lack thereof) about what was causing the hold up was extremely frustrating. Every time I called in, a different person gave me a different reason and then claimed to resolve it, only for nothing to be updated and the claim to not be processed. In fact, the first time it was processed, it was declined due to the processor not reading the date of the invoice, but rather reading the date of her vaccinations that is logged on all invoices. That type of mistake is pure laziness.

After multiple calls and chats with various representatives, the claim was finally approved. After that, it was smooth sailing. Her surgery claim was approved quickly and efficiently, although I’ve realized that I must submit all claims myself instead of allowing my vet to submit them directly, as your company claims to have never received the documents directly from the vet, despite them sending the documents via multiple methods on multiple occasions. The reimbursement check was sent out quickly and received quickly, so overall, the frustrations were worth it.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We had rescued 2 pit bull-mastiff-lab mix puppies from a local Humane Society. Both were in great health but when one of them, Hamilton, developed a limp when he was a year and a half, we took him to the local vet who diagnosed him with a TPLO of the right hind leg, basically, as I understand it, he tore the tendon in the knee. He needed surgery so we took him to a nearby vet who specializes in sports injuries for dogs.

Hamilton came through surgery great, and then several weeks later did the same to his left hind leg. So back to the vet we went to get that repaired. Both surgeries were covered by Embrace. They paid 80% of the total bill - both for the local vet who first diagnosed the problem and for the vet who actually did the surgery. Without this insurance, we wouldn't have been able to afford the cost and may have had to have taken other measures. Now we have a dog with two bionic legs and is a great and friendly part of our family. I would recommend Embrace Pet Insurance to everyone.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My very first pug, Ping, was 12.5 when she passed in 2013. In her later years she suffered with a UTI that wouldn't go away. Her vet bills were very expensive, as you can imagine. She needed an Ultra Sound for almost $2K. Whether it would have helped or not I have no idea. During this illness she was on expensive medication, special diet food purchased via my vet, and constant urine tests and cultures. As a retired individual I did the best I could for Ping. As an aging pug, she also developed spinal stenosis and lost control of her back legs and bladder. At the time, wheels for dogs weren't as popular and affordable as they are today. I lost my beautiful baby when I felt her quality of life was gone. I swore at that moment that I would never ever have a pug without purchasing insurance for it.

It just so happened that my vet had a mat on his counter which advertised Embrace Pet Insurance. I remembered that when I adopted two rescue pugs 6 months later. While the cost was around 2K for both dogs, my peace of mind was bought, too. It had wellness care which included dental and OTC items, doctor visits for illness and catastrophic care. I had no doubt that this was the way to go for me and my "girls". I now have only 1 pug, but I know she is Embraced! This is long winded I know but I can't say enough about the peace of mind Embrace has given me. I swear by this company and recommend it to others 100%.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

In 2009, I got my first Cocker Spaniel, and shortly thereafter I joined a cocker spaniel forum to learn more about the breed, grooming tips, etc. I learned a lot from this forum, particularly that cockers are predisposed to a variety of health issues, many of which are extremely expensive to treat. The other thing that I learned was that many of the owners obtained pet insurance for their cockers, but had mixed reviews as to their reputations. One company that kept getting excellent reviews was Embrace, and that is the company that I chose for my dog when she was a couple of years old. Their reputation for paying based on actual costs, and for not having breed-specific exclusions were two positive features that I liked.

Fast forward several claim-free years, and Gromit tore the ccl in her knee, requiring surgery. The cost of the surgery and follow-up exams was over $4,000. My first pleasant surprise was that since I had not filed any prior claims, my deductible was automatically reduced! Next, the claims that I submitted were not only paid quickly and without question, but the agent suggested that I set up direct deposit so that I could receive reimbursement even faster. As Gromit has gotten older, the premiums have increased. But the peace of mind that Embrace has provided is worth it to me. I didn't have to hesitate about getting Gromit the surgery that she needed regardless of the cost. And watching her run around and play, pain free and fully-healed, warms my heart.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I only had Embrace for 1.5 months before I had to put my cat down due to FP. However, I had to contact them every time I had put in a claim that was not a wellness claim. They said they would have be done processing the claim in 15 business days, but I was reaching out 20 or more business days later asking when I would have a response. To their credit when I did, I would get a response the next day, but it took me contacting them, this happened four different times. This extended the time I was having to look at paperwork and talking to vets after I had to euthanize my cat for another month and half.

Other than them not being able to hold up their times, they were okay. I ended up having appeal my last claims because they said that pink eye (before I adopted) and sneezing were related to the FP and when I told my vets they were appalled, it seemed like an easy way to not pay out the claim. So I would always talk to the vet and see what they think about the denied claim and try to appeal it following the directions Embrace gives.

Hello Bethany,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide open and honest feedback. The first illness or accident claim does take the longest because a complete medical history review has to be done before the claim can be processed. This process can take quite a bit of time because medical records have to be collected and reviewed from every veterinary hospital the pet was seen at in the 12 months prior to the start of the policy. I'm sorry we were not able to meet the 15 day processing guideline, it is always our goal, but sometimes it is not possible.

I'm very to hear about the loss of Doyle, my thoughts are with you. I am glad we were able to cover the claims after we got the additional information from your vet. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Claims Manager

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

My dog developed hemolytic anemia from a deer tick bite. He was very ill and the prognosis was poor. I took him to the Vet Specialty Center and treatment was initiated within an hour. I knew it would be expensive and I was hoping that Embrace would be everything I thought it would be. In all honesty, Embrace insurance was better than I had hoped for. I called for guidance and was given accurate directions on how to file claims. They were reviewed and paid very quickly without any hassle. The forms are easy to access from the app and my veterinarian faxed them in for me. Happy to report that my dog is doing well and Embrace could not have treated me better!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I transferred my cats insurance from VIP to Embrace when she was 8 years old. During the first year she had a few "first time" health issues and one small issue from previous. It took a long time to sort out but they were so helpful and in the end I was happy I switched to Embrace. They covered more than VIP would have and went the distance to show me the reasons why one thing wasn't... in spite of me being a bit testy. Thank you, Embrace.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

Pet insurance: our dog was insured two months after birth (Apr '16) for $350 annually. 3 years later, it is now $478 or a 36% increase (simple inflation 9%). Wellness plan: they don't know how to process a "wellness" plan claim - again 3 years running. I buy a vet plan that covers most everything for one charge ($384) and Embrace can't figure out how to process it without an itemized invoice - ehh, there is no itemized invoice on an all-in plan. So far, just like hockey: 1 win, 1 loss, and 1 tie - what a pain! I went with them because of USAA's tie up. My next note is to USAA to get them to reconsider their decision and go with Nationwide (or someone else).

Hello Michael,

I'm sorry to hear you are not impressed with your Embrace experience thus far. I appreciate you taking the time to provide this valuable feedback, we're always looking to improve for our pet parents.

In regards to the policy premium, our policies can increase at renewal each year, and the main factors that go into the pricing are the age and breed of your pet, and claims data based on region, pet factors, and policy factors. We will never adjust your premium according to your specific claims.

I reached out to your vet in regards to the wellness package as the invoice we received did not show what the $384.00 charge was for, it just showed that you paid that much on 10/29/19. I confirmed with your vet hospital that the $384.00 was indeed for a wellness package, so I was able to process that claim this morning. In the future, providing a claim that shows what was being charged for, the date, and the total gives you the best chance of a smooth claims process.

Claims Manager

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

This company makes it easy to sign up but has no intention of honoring your claims. Steer clear. I submitted a claim well over a month ago and they said they needed more medical records. They said that once they received the records, it would only take a few days to process. The records were sent immediately after their request. Yet, weeks later, no communication from them. I called my vet's office and asked to send the records again in case they didn't receive them. Two days later, I can't get anyone from Embrace to verify whether they received the records. So, given their failure to communicate with me, I am assuming that they plan to drag their feet on this and not pay this claim. I have two dogs on this plan since August. I am in the process of cancelling the insurance. I do not trust this company.

Hello Katherine,

I'm sorry for the frustration in getting Chloe's claim processed. I took a look at your policy and the claim and would like to explain a few things in hopes it helps to clarify the situation.

Chloe's claim was received on 10/30/19, this was the first claim submitted for her; which means prior to processing, a complete medical history review had to be done. A medical history review is the process of collecting and reviewing all of a pet's medical records from the 12-months prior to the start of the policy through the end of the waiting periods. This process can take quite a bit of time because it requires the hospitals to send us medical records and requires the time of a claims adjuster to review medical records page by page.

For Chloe, when the records were first received and reviewed we found we needed some additional dates in order to update a couple temporary exclusions. Once those additional dates were received and reviewed, Chloe's medical history review was completed and her claim was processed and covered.

I do apologize this process took longer than you hoped, first claims do take longer than subsequent claims. As Chloe's medical history review is now complete, future illness claims will be processed much faster. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback, it is very valuable to making sure we are providing the best service to our pet parents.

Embrace Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Embrace Pet Insurance is a pet insurance company that has been in operation since 2006, focusing on sustainability and providing expert pet care.

• Ability to compare plans: Embrace has a great website that allows consumers to compare their plans with other insurance companies in order to choose the best option.

• Covers both dogs and cats: Embrace will cover treatment for both dogs and cats of any age.

• Experienced: They have been in business for almost 10 years and are a trusted name in the industry.

• No per-incident limitations: Embrace doesn't restrict the overall amount you can be reimbursed for a specific accident or illness like many insurance companies do.

• Hereditary and genetic condition coverage: Embrace covers genetic conditions that your pet might be prone to, such as digestive issues or dysplasia, in full up to the annual maximum that you have chosen.

• Best for: Pet owners with pets with hereditary or genetic conditions, pet owners with old pets, and pet owners with multiple pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky