2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.15/5

Embrace Pet Insurance offers coverage for dogs and cats and reimburses pet owners for preventative veterinary care, grooming and behavioral training with no per-item limits. Embrace charges a monthly premium and helps cover expenses if your pet needs emergency medical attention or another service.

BOTTOM LINE

Embrace Pet Insurance reimburses dog and cat owners for the most common medical services and treatments. It covers accidents, illnesses and breed-specific conditions.

PROS
  • Use any vet
  • Offers vanishing deductible
  • Accident-only coverage
CONS
  • Not all policies available online
  • No zero-deductible options

Top Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

My dog had surgery last month. The procedure was covered and Embrace was super easy to work with and efficient. My reimbursement was in my account just weeks after the surgery. They answered their phone, I wasn’t on hold and they were able to answer all my questions…

When your otherwise healthy 13-year old pup has a small lump, you need to know, what is it, has it spread, and what can we treat it? I was so happy I’d made the decision to have Brownie insured, because I was able to get all the answers and treatment without worrying about cost…

Embrace Pet Insurance Get Pricing

How does Embrace Pet Insurance work?

When you sign your pet up with Embrace, you can take them to any vet for the services they need. You are not required to use a vet within a specific network. Once your pet has been treated, you complete the claim form, submit it and are reimbursed for services and treatment covered under your plan.

There are different coverage levels to choose from, and you can downgrade or upgrade your policy at any time. When you insure your pet with Embrace, they are covered for life. Your coverage never drops based on your pet's age or health.

Cancer treatment, behavioral therapy and breed-specific conditions are covered, and the company reimburses you for vet exam fees. Dogs and cats under the age of 14 are eligible for full coverage, and pets older than this are eligible for accident-only coverage.

Embrace has a unique online resource that lists the most popular dog breeds and their most common breed-specific medical conditions. This can help pet owners choose the right coverage for their pets.

Embrace Wellness Rewards program

Embrace’s Wellness Rewards program, which can be added to your policy, reimburses you for preventative care. This includes wellness exams, microchipping, spaying/neutering, vaccinations and flea medication.

There are three annual allowance options for Wellness Rewards reimbursement:

• $250 allowance per policy year
  • $450 allowance per policy year
  • $650 allowance per policy year

Embrace Pet Insurance coverage

Embrace is transparent about what policies do and do not cover. The company’s website lists the different coverage options and defines eligibility requirements and guidelines for preexisting conditions.

Accidents
Older pets can benefit from Embrace’s accident-only coverage plan. This plan covers your pet if it ingests a foreign object, is cut or is hit by a car. This plan reimburses you up to $5,000 each year. You’ll pay a $100 deductible once a year, and then you're reimbursed 90% of your veterinary bills when your pet experiences an accident.
Illnesses
Embrace covers every illness from nose to tail with no precondition limitations. This means if your pet is prone to breed-specific illnesses, medical treatment is covered under your plan.
Dental issues
Dental pain can be very uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous for pets. Dental work on animals can also be very expensive. Embrace covers dental treatment for periodontal disease, gingivitis, root canals, crowns, oral masses and extractions. Up to $1,000 in dental work is covered per year.
Cancer and chronic conditions
Cancer coverage is included in all plans and includes everything from the consultation testing and radiation to chemotherapy, surgery, hospitalization and rehabilitation. Cancer treatments are one of the most expensive medical treatments for pet owners, and chemotherapy can run $150 to $600 a dose. Cancer coverage means you can give your pet a fighting chance without worrying about how you’re going to afford it.

Embrace Pet Insurance also covers a wide range of treatments including:

• Alternative therapies and rehabilitation
  • Hospitalization and surgery
  • Prescription drug coverage
  • Prosthetics and mobility devices

Conditions not covered

The list of what Embrace does not cover is shorter than the list of what it does cover. Basically, Embrace covers treatment and services that are crucial to the health and well-being of your pet, but not cosmetic services, breeding, whelping or preexisting conditions.

How much does Embrace Pet Insurance cost?

Dog insurance costs average around $30 to $40 per month, and cat insurance averages around $15 to $20 per month. Embrace has a one-time enrollment fee of $25 and a $1 monthly processing fee for those who pay monthly.

Embrace lets you customize your plan, so you can choose the deductible, the reimbursement percentage, any riders or optional coverage add-ons and annual maximums. You know your pet and your budget, and Embrace has coverage options to fit them both.

Embrace Pet Insurance FAQ

Is Embrace Pet Insurance good?
Yes. Pet lovers all over the country trust Embrace to help them cover unexpected medical bills for their pets. Embrace is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association.
Does Embrace Pet Insurance cover vaccines?
Vaccines are covered by Embrace's Wellness Rewards program because receiving them is considered preventive or routine care, but routine care is not covered by the insurance policy itself.
Can I use Embrace Pet Insurance at every vet’s office?
Yes. Embrace does not use a network for vets. You can take your pet to any veterinarian, specialist or emergency hospital you like.
What’s not covered by Embrace Pet Insurance?
Embrace Pet Insurance does not cover cosmetic services, breeding, DNA testing or preexisting conditions.

Is Embrace Pet Insurance worth it?

Pet insurance is a service you hope you never have to use but are thankful to have it when you need it. Embrace Pet Insurance is a reputable company that makes pet ownership more affordable. Having insurance means you never have to deny your pet medical attention because of your finances.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: April 7, 2021

I was always so weary about pet insurance but with my past experiences in the cost of vet bills I decided to give it a go. I learned about Embrace through USAA for my pet. I also opted for the most coverage and most rewards points. The claims process was extremely easy especially over the app, and the personnel over the phone are extremely helpful and kind. Unfortunately about a month ago my baby got very sick and was in and out of the ICU, last week I had to make that difficult decision that no one wants to make, he had advanced lymphoma and there was really nothing we could do. Embrace was by my side! If it wasn’t for having them as insurance I would have not been able to provide the best care for my pupper during his last days. If you have a pet and are looking for a phenomenal insurance who truly cares about animals, Embrace is definitely the way to go!!

Hello Ada,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Canelo, my thoughts are with you during this very difficult time. Although what you went through with Canelo is every pet parent's worst nightmare, I'm glad the financial aspect was taken out of your decisions. I appreciate you taking the time to do your homework on pet insurance and deciding to go with USAA/Embrace. Our pet parent's satisfaction is our number one concern.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I have two cats, one I adopted in 2017, and the other around Christmas of 2020. When I adopted my Tuxedo, I got her insurance with Healthy Paws, so that's who I had been with ever since. When it came time to adding the second cat to her account, things got complicated. Unfortunately, Leo came home and got ill about two weeks following. What was initially thought to be linked to gastroenterology issues wound up to be upper respiratory and he ended up having to be seen several times within a two month period. Needless to say, Healthy Paws denied his claims for pre-existing conditions.

I filed an appeal, but after it dragging out over a month and them then requiring additional documentation from his veterinarian interpreting his medical records, I had had enough at that point. I didn't even care about the thousand dollars in claims at that point, they had made my life ridiculously and unnecessarily stressful and I put an end to it. I walked away and canceled his policy with Healthy Paws and came over to Embrace.

I had been looking into Embrace and a few other companies a few weeks prior just so I was prepared if that time came. Ultimately I chose Embrace because of the consistency of their reviews (because I don't expect any company to be perfect), the quantity of their exceptional reviews, but mostly my own personal customer service experience. I spent at least an hour over two or three phone calls with customer service getting information and eventually setting up a policy. Not once did I have any reason to question why I wouldn't want to trust them to insure the well-being of my pets.

I actually was excited I had found them - it made the Healthy Paws experience a whole lot less bitter. I was met with kindness, compassion, friendliness, and consideration. Customer service was prompt and patient and never left any of my many questions unanswered. They also spent a great deal of time helping me to find the most appropriate policy for my needs and budget and offered considerable discounts. I only wish it were convenient for me to bring my other cat over right now, unfortunately because of her health issues at the moment, it'll have to wait a bit. Looking forward to a new beginning with Embrace!

Hello Cristine,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. It means the world to us to hear that you had a great experience with our Pet Insurance Advisor team. If there is anything you need going forward, just let us know!

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I like how easy it is for submit a claim. I dislike that almost every time I submit a claim I get a message in my portal saying they don't have enough info to process my claim and that Embrace requested additional info from my vet. I usually wait a couple days to see if the docs arrived before I email Embrace to ask what docs they need so I can request them myself and get a speedier resolution of my claim. I have NEVER received a message back from Embrace about what extra docs they need from the vet. I ALWAYS end up calling Embrace and speaking with a rep who suddenly doesn't need additional docs and processes my claim immediately. Always feels like Embrace is delaying processing and hopes I'll just forget. I appreciate the reps on the phone for immediately resolving my claims since the online department apparently never can without a phone call from me.

Hello Brazil,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear your claims process has not been as positive as we intend. Some of the hold up on your claims was due to the fact it was the first illness claim on the policy. In order to process the first illness claim, we must collect and review medical records for 12-months prior to the start of the policy. This process takes quite a bit of time, so first claims often take significantly longer than subsequent claims. If you would like to speed up the first claim process, you can request a medical history review for Guinness. You can email us at askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com if this is something you are interested in.

Additionally, to ensure that a claim is processed as quickly as possible it must contain a detailed invoice (including all pages and the total) in addition to a claim form with specific details regarding the claim. The diagnosis (what is provided on the claim form) tells us how to process a claim and if it is eligible for coverage, so we need as much detail as possible in this area. If a diagnosis is very brief (i.e. "medication" or "dental") we need to get additional information in order to process the claim, which can delay processing time.

I am glad to hear you have had a good experience with our Customer Service team, I hope your future claims experience is better.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Embrace Pet Insurance has far outshone any pet insurance product I’ve ever had. They insured my cat who, ultimately & sadly, had two different forms of cancer over the course of three years. Embrace paid every single claim for his NYC pricey treatment from biopsies to surgeries to specialty medications. I repeat; they never challenged one claim.

Equally important, Embrace does not pay based upon national norms; they understand that different areas in the US are more or less expensive than others and reimburse based upon the billed amount. I’ve had policies with other companies and that has never been my experience. With them, I would receive a fraction of the cost of the service; with Embrace, I received back 80% of the actual charge. I had direct deposit; I would submit the claim or it would be submitted by the veterinarian and approximately two weeks later the money would reliably appear in my bank account.

They did not fail to renew my policy because he was ill or aged; he renewed until he passed at age 14. Further, they have a service where you can consult a vet online with any questions which was valuable to me and is extremely valuable during this Pandemic. Equally important, these people truly care about animals and about customer service. Since my cat was such a high consumer of health care, I would often call to get a benefit determination for some new service and they were always patient, thorough and knowledgeable. After a short while, they knew exactly who I was and would ask how he was doing every contact. When they learned he had passed, I received a Sympathy Card which included a link to an Online Memorial for him. I can’t say enough good things about Embrace. I will never insure any of my pets with any other pet insurer again.

Original review: April 16, 2021

My experience with Embrace has been excellent. Their staff has been very empathetic about my poodle's medical problem, and evaluating his records properly for insurance coverage. Overall I rate them a 10.

Hello Louis,

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell people about your experience with Embrace, I'm so glad to hear it has been a good one. Toy poodles happen to be my favorite breed, so give Bentley some extra love from me.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: April 14, 2021

I have been an Embrace Parent for years and my experience is ALWAYS excellent. Embracers know their jobs and correct information and are always compassionate and understanding. Thank you EMRACE!

Hello Rochelle,

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Julie. Our pets never live long enough, it's the hardest part of being a fur parent. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with Embrace. I'm glad we've been there for you for over four years and we appreciate being a part of your family. If there is ever anything you need, do not hesitate to contact us, askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: April 13, 2021

The customer service is outstanding, the representatives really care about your pets. The prices and packages available are great and really flexible. I highly recommend this company for protection of your furry family members.

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for taking the time to say such nice things about Embrace. We value our pet parent's satisfaction above all. Thank you for spreading the word about us; hopefully, we can be there for you and your friends and family if ever they need us.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: April 12, 2021

When my 4 year old cat got diagnosed with asthma, I didn’t hesitate to take him to the ER to get treated knowing that I have pet insurance. Because we didn’t wait too long, his condition was mild and was able to go home that day. Filing a claim on the App is easy, and hassle free. After linking my bank account, I also got the refund within days. This insurance is helping me focus on my pet, and not on finances, and is helping me be less stressed because I know my pets are covered.

Hello Karolina,

I'm so glad to hear Cade is feeling better; taking your pet to the emergency vet is always a very frightening experience. I'm glad to hear Embrace gave you the peace of mind to make the choices to get Cade the best care. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. If there is ever anything you need, do not hesitate to contact us directly at askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: April 10, 2021

Our 13 yr old Yorkie developed a very large mass the left side of his face & neck. He underwent multiple surgeries to finally get to the root cause. There were multiple charges for the surgeries, Dr visits, exams, lab work, pathology reviews & every bill I sent to Embrace was paid just like the policy stated. In addition dealing with Embrace, their reps, was almost always very helpful.

Hello Arnold,

I am so sorry to hear about the ordeal you went through with Winston. I know how scary it can be when our pets are sick and we don't know what is causing it. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with Embrace and I'm happy we were able to provide much-needed coverage for your furbaby. If there is anything else you ever need, do not hesitate to contact us.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: April 8, 2021

Embrace has gone downhill over the past year. My dog was insured at 2 months when I brought him home. He had his initial visit and had their orthopedic waiver completed. 10 months later he developed a luxating patella and had surgery. Embrace first delayed my claim by saying they reached out to my vets office for records when my vets office says otherwise. Embrace did not notify me of the delay, I noticed when I happened to check his account over a week later. I made sure they got the records and now I'm told it's a 30 business day wait to review.

He had ONE vet visit prior to surgery, clearly no prior history since he was two months old at the time on insuring, and their waiver was complete despite this condition happening past the time of the normal orthopedic waiting period. This should be an open and shut case. Instead, Embrace is finding every way to drag their feet. I now am looking at an account that's stating it's on hold for lack of medical information AGAIN. This company is finding every way to drag its feet. People shouldn't have to wait over two months for claims to get paid out.

Hello Adriana,

I am sorry for your frustration getting Figment's recent claims processed. I see that we received the claim on 3/17/21, we requested the medical records required to process the claim on 3/29/21, and those records were received on 3/30/21. The medical records from Figment's vet will be reviewed today and the claim will be processed shortly after. First claims always take longer than subsequent claims because we have to collect and review medical records prior to processing. The good news is, Figment's claim will be processed in less than 20 business days, which is still quite fast.

I appreciate your patience as we get to work on Figment's claim. If you need anything else going forward, do not hesitate to contact us: askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com.

Embrace Pet Insurance Company Information