3.7/5 (192 ratings)

About Embrace Pet Insurance

Embrace Pet Insurance offers coverage for dogs and cats and reimburses pet owners for preventative veterinary care, grooming and behavioral training with no per-item limits. Embrace charges a monthly premium and helps cover expenses if your pet needs emergency medical attention or another service.

Pros

• Use any vet
  • Offers vanishing deductible
  • Accident-only coverage

Cons

• Not all policies available online
  • No zero-deductible options

Bottom Line

Embrace Pet Insurance reimburses dog and cat owners for the most common medical services and treatments. It covers accidents, illnesses and breed-specific conditions.

Top Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My dog had surgery last month. The procedure was covered and Embrace was super easy to work with and efficient. My reimbursement was in my account just weeks after the surgery. Th...

Verified

When your otherwise healthy 13-year old pup has a small lump, you need to know, what is it, has it spread, and what can we treat it? I was so happy I’d made the decision to have B...

How does Embrace Pet Insurance work?

When you sign your pet up with Embrace, you can take them to any vet for the services they need. You are not required to use a vet within a specific network. Once your pet has been treated, you complete the claim form, submit it and are reimbursed for services and treatment covered under your plan.

There are different coverage levels to choose from, and you can downgrade or upgrade your policy at any time. When you insure your pet with Embrace, they are covered for life. Your coverage never drops based on your pet's age or health.

Cancer treatment, behavioral therapy and breed-specific conditions are covered, and the company reimburses you for vet exam fees. Dogs and cats under the age of 14 are eligible for full coverage, and pets older than this are eligible for accident-only coverage.

Embrace has a unique online resource that lists the most popular dog breeds and their most common breed-specific medical conditions. This can help pet owners choose the right coverage for their pets.

Embrace Wellness Rewards program

Embrace’s Wellness Rewards program, which can be added to your policy, reimburses you for preventative care. This includes wellness exams, microchipping, spaying/neutering, vaccinations and flea medication.

There are three annual allowance options for Wellness Rewards reimbursement:

• $250 allowance per policy year
  • $450 allowance per policy year
  • $650 allowance per policy year

Embrace Pet Insurance coverage

Embrace is transparent about what policies do and do not cover. The company’s website lists the different coverage options and defines eligibility requirements and guidelines for preexisting conditions.

Accidents
Older pets can benefit from Embrace’s accident-only coverage plan. This plan covers your pet if it ingests a foreign object, is cut or is hit by a car. This plan reimburses you up to $5,000 each year. You’ll pay a $100 deductible once a year, and then you're reimbursed 90% of your veterinary bills when your pet experiences an accident.
Illnesses
Embrace covers every illness from nose to tail with no precondition limitations. This means if your pet is prone to breed-specific illnesses, medical treatment is covered under your plan.
Dental issues
Dental pain can be very uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous for pets. Dental work on animals can also be very expensive. Embrace covers dental treatment for periodontal disease, gingivitis, root canals, crowns, oral masses and extractions. Up to $1,000 in dental work is covered per year.
Cancer and chronic conditions
Cancer coverage is included in all plans and includes everything from the consultation testing and radiation to chemotherapy, surgery, hospitalization and rehabilitation. Cancer treatments are one of the most expensive medical treatments for pet owners, and chemotherapy can run $150 to $600 a dose. Cancer coverage means you can give your pet a fighting chance without worrying about how you’re going to afford it.

Embrace Pet Insurance also covers a wide range of treatments including:

• Alternative therapies and rehabilitation
  • Hospitalization and surgery
  • Prescription drug coverage
  • Prosthetics and mobility devices

Conditions not covered

The list of what Embrace does not cover is shorter than the list of what it does cover. Basically, Embrace covers treatment and services that are crucial to the health and well-being of your pet, but not cosmetic services, breeding, whelping or preexisting conditions.

How much does Embrace Pet Insurance cost?

Dog insurance costs average around $30 to $40 per month, and cat insurance averages around $15 to $20 per month. Embrace has a one-time enrollment fee of $25 and a $1 monthly processing fee for those who pay monthly.

Embrace lets you customize your plan, so you can choose the deductible, the reimbursement percentage, any riders or optional coverage add-ons and annual maximums. You know your pet and your budget, and Embrace has coverage options to fit them both.

Embrace Pet Insurance FAQ

Is Embrace Pet Insurance good?
Yes. Pet lovers all over the country trust Embrace to help them cover unexpected medical bills for their pets. Embrace is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association.
Does Embrace Pet Insurance cover vaccines?
Vaccines are covered by Embrace's Wellness Rewards program because receiving them is considered preventive or routine care, but routine care is not covered by the insurance policy itself.
Can I use Embrace Pet Insurance at every vet’s office?
Yes. Embrace does not use a network for vets. You can take your pet to any veterinarian, specialist or emergency hospital you like.
What’s not covered by Embrace Pet Insurance?
Embrace Pet Insurance does not cover cosmetic services, breeding, DNA testing or preexisting conditions.

Is Embrace Pet Insurance worth it?

Pet insurance is a service you hope you never have to use but are thankful to have it when you need it. Embrace Pet Insurance is a reputable company that makes pet ownership more affordable. Having insurance means you never have to deny your pet medical attention because of your finances.

1 featured review

Resolution response: Sept. 6, 2022

Embrace Representative explained to me that, ‘they are unable to provide coverage for pre-existing conditions, defined as anything diagnosed or symptoms prior to starting the policy and through the initial waiting periods.’ I understand now those months in waiting was for clarification of pre-existing conditions. After the pre-existing conditions was clear, all the claims afterwards going very smoothly and quickly. I’m appreciated the 90% pay back as stated in the policy. I would recommend Embrace Pet Insurance to my friends and neighbors. My dog’s veterinarians also recommend Embrace to other clients.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I purchased pet insurance for my 8 years old large dog since January 07, 2022. The waiting period for illness cover is 2 weeks, equals to January 21, 2022. 01/19/2022, my dog got a mass under his right front paws and it was hurting him badly. I brought him to the Veterans for surgery, that day cost $714. Because of it was within the waiting period, so this cost was not covered. 2/23/2022 and 3/9/2022, I brought my dog to checking up, the veterans did digital radiographs, exams and medicine, discovered my dog had heart failure, these 2 bills were $347 and $357, and they were applied to policy deductible of $750, so I didn’t receive any reimbursement either. Start the claim of 3/29/2022 of $70, after applied to the remain deductible, I received a check of $10. Since the deductible was fully applied, all the claims after 3/29/2022 are reimbursement 90% to me.

It is very nice to see the 90% of expenses coming back! But the process to start receiving reimbursement took 3 to 4 months. My dog was serious sick, in the waiting for approval, I had to pay out from my own pocket for over $1000. I was going a hard time to keep brought him to veterans, bought his medication, or decided to put him down. My dog was a warrior dog, he had chased out thefts, caught snakes and other harmful animals in the back yard. It was tearing our hearts to make a decision to pay for his treatment or let him go. I’m glad we went through the hard time and now he is getting well and we received payment back. I wish we didn’t have to wait this long for the approval to go through.

Embrace Pet Insurance has great customer service representative, every time I called, they answered my questions clearly and explained things in detail. If you consider to buy pet insurance, maybe you should choose the lowest deductible as possible, and bring the pet to the veterans after the waiting period. When in time of need, $750 is a lot. I’m appreciated the reimbursement I have received now, it is way over the premium I pay for the year.

Hello Lang,

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide coverage for pre-existing conditions, defined as anything diagnosed or symptomatic prior to starting the policy and through the initial waiting periods. But we're glad to hear the processing for the other eligible claims went smoothly and we appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

It's refreshing not to have to wait for customer service to answer a call. The customer service rep was gracious, understanding & had the change I needed to make completed immediately. I'm very satisfied with the service I received during this call! However, overall their policy is complex for an older pet. My complaint with Embrace is understanding and/or remembering what's required when you make a claim & how long they take to process a claim. (Yes, you can read the lengthy policy but you'd have to do that every time.)

For example, I provide the documentation required but then they request the complete medical record of the pet from the veterinarian. If they're going to do that then I shouldn't have to submit anything but the pet's name & the invoice or remember what is or isn't covered. Filling out the form is time consuming & rendered redundant since they're going to request the complete medical record anyway. They must be trying to find out if your claim can be declared part of an existing condition. In that respect, they're just like any other health insurance company (people or pets).

Hello Kathi,

Thank you for taking the time to share that feedback! If you have any questions or would like further clarification in regard to the claims submission process, please feel free to send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com or give us a call at 800-511-9172 and a representative will be happy to go over it with you!

Original review: April 7, 2022

I could not be happier with Embrace Pet Insurance. My yorkie was mauled by a pit bull and required emergency surgery. She had a ventral hernia (her intestines were ripped out of her abdomen) and necrotic bowel from the dog bite which required a bowel resection. It was an awful experience and very traumatic. I was so relieved when I remembered that I had a pet insurance policy. The representatives were very friendly and guided me through the whole process. I gave 4 stars instead of 5 because it took a little over a month to get reimbursed. I wish that happened faster. Overall, highly recommend. Accidents/Injuries are costly and pet insurance is a must!

Hello Xiomara,

We're happy to hear the policy was there to help during your time of need and we hope your dog is making a quick recovery and feeling much better! The first claim(s) submitted can take longer to process while we gather the full pre-policy medical history. However, moving forward it will be a much smoother process and our standard processing time is 10-15 business days. Thank you for taking the time to leave that feedback!

Original review: March 16, 2022

I research and compared every pet insurance company there is and finally decided on Embrace because it seemed the most trustworthy and inclusive. I didn't expect to need it but after my cat of 15 years suffered horribly and died from cancer I promised myself I would get insurance for any pet going forward. Well, Embrace has been a lifesaver with my kitty who ended up having a rare bone disease in a location that causes tremendous complications. We're still working through it but if it weren't for Embrace, I'd be in major debt, probably divorced and would have likely lost everything including my little love, who is full of life, despite his condition.

Embrace makes it easy to submit claims and I would recommend to anyone with a pet. You may think your pet is healthy but one day they may need care and it's worth every penny for peace of mind. You never have to question or worry taking your pet to the vet with insurance. I'm grateful every day for making the decision to get insurance.

Hello Alexa,

We're glad to hear the policy has been there to help during your time of need and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave that feedback. Sending well wishes to you and your cat during this difficult time!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I applied to pet insurance in 09/2021 after I had a pet who got seriously ill and passed away after 6 days in the hospital, and we had to come to come out of pocket for it. I never wanted to put my family in that position again, so when I received an email about Embrace through USAA, I didn’t hesitate to sign up my current pets. It gave me peace of mind that if something like this were to ever happen again, that we could financially support it with the help of Embrace.

Well, unbeknownst to me, we would end up having another emergency situation 5 months later when our current dog got sick out of nowhere. He had just had a biannual check up a month or two before and everything was great, so it was quite a shock we were going through this again and so soon. I was terrified of losing another dog as I’m still grieving the first loss, but I knew I could give this dog a fighting chance and not worry about the cost as much as we were with the first. Luckily, after only a day and a half in the emergency room, my current pet turned a corner and so he was sent home with lots of meds and an order to get a check up by our current vet in the following days. He is now back to normal, and for that we are grateful.

When it came time to submit everything to Embrace, the upload process was extremely easy. The process claim was relatively fast, and they stayed in communication with me about how to speed up the process. Everyone I talked to on the phone was extremely nice, and even listened to me when I cried talking about my former pet. Even though we had some issues with the first reimbursement and our vet had to write an appeal, everything was eventually resolved and I could not be happier! Thanks Embrace!

Hello April,

I am so very sorry for your loss. Our goal is always to reimburse claims as quickly as possible and for the claims submission process to be user-friendly, as we know how stressful it can be when one of our fur babies are sick or hurt. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience and the issues were resolved. We're also happy to hear that your dog is back to normal and feeling better! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide that feedback.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

This service is very professional and very transparent with excellent web and agent support. Their responsiveness is truly distinctive and they are consistent with USAA's history as a solid organization. We also find the agent's very friendly and polite. We also like how their website profiles potential diagnostic conditions.

Hello Edmund,

We are proud to be USAA's chosen provider to offer their members pet insurance and we are happy to hear you have had a positive experience with your policy and with our Customer Care team. Thank you for taking the time to provide that feedback!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

I've had accident and illness coverage through Embrace Pet Insurance for five years and this is the best choice I ever made. The claims process has only gotten easier. Filing is done online. The reviews are extremely quick and my eligible costs were reimbursed within a week. There is a nice of range of choices for coverage and the premiums are reasonable. I can't recommend them enough!

Hello Mirm,

Thank you for taking the time to provide that feedback, we sincerely appreciate your recommendation!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Embrace is there for you and your furry friends. Incredible customer service and communication paramount these days and Veronica and Embrace have that. Filing claim was so easy. Highly recommend Embrace for all your pet needs. One never knows re emergencies or illnesses, so protect you and your loved one.

Hello Karen,

We're happy to hear Veronica was able to provide a positive experience and we appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback with us!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Before I bought pet insurance I compared all the different companies and rates. I can’t say enough great things about Embrace. I’ve had them since I got my pup 2+ years ago. I’ve had to submit several claims with ease and have called customer service many times and they are always great. They’ve made caring for a pup who has seizures a little bit easier.

Hello Jennifer,

We're glad to hear that you've had a positive experience and we appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

At first glance the Embrace Pet Insurance seems like a great idea. After all, who wouldn’t want to protect their furry family members? If I could offer advice before purchasing a policy…read the ENTIRE document before you purchase. The first few paragraphs tell you what is covered. The second half goes over what is not. “Full coverage” does not include wellness visits or preventative care. You have to pay extra for wellness care. At that point it’s almost like a savings account they use to cover office visits and normal preventative medicine.

They also do not cover anything they consider a preexisting condition. If you have an older dog like I do, that is about 90% of his health care. Even some services that my vet told me were not wellness or preventative were denied by Embrace. In one year I spent over $1,400 for my dog. After all the denials, my copay, and ONE reimbursement I received a payment of $11. If my dog got hit by a car, that would be covered but only if he didn’t see the vehicle coming (because that would be a preexisting condition). I’m exaggerating that example of course but you see what I’m saying. Overall an Embrace policy is a waste of money. You would save hundreds of dollars just paying for the vet bills yourself.

Hello Nick,

I apologize for any disappointment you’ve experienced with your claims! Unfortunately, no pet insurance company is able to provide coverage for pre-existing conditions, defined as anything diagnosed or symptomatic prior to starting the policy and through the initial waiting periods. However, any time you feel there was an incorrect assessment you do have the option to appeal.

We do strive to be as upfront as possible when it comes to the terms and conditions of the policy in regard to pre-existing conditions and routine/preventative care not being eligible for coverage, with it being noted in the acknowledgements upon purchase, in several onboarding emails, and in the terms and conditions document. I know it can be frustrating and I apologize for any misunderstanding, but we must abide by the regulations set by our underwriters and the department of insurance. If you have any additional questions, concerns, or would like further clarification, please call our Customer Care Center at 800-511-9172 and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Embrace Pet Insurance Company Information