2.47/5
Based on 30 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a pet insurance provider?

30 Embrace Pet Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We have 2 dogs insured with Embrace. We had a different Pet Insurance before, and they were more expensive & higher deductible. Then I saw that USAA offered the Embrace Pet Insurance. On 19 May 2018 we had to rush our 12 year old Dachshund Sarah to the Emergency vet. She could not breathe. She been having heart issues & is on heart ** & ** and **. Unfortunately, she was not on enough ** and had build up fluid in her lungs. She had to stay the night. Lucky she pulled through. The vet bill was around $1060. This was our first claim. The vet filled out the forms I got from Embrace to do a claim, & faxed them over to the Pet Insurance. On 29 May we got the refund check in the mail; $725. I never expected to get a refund check so fast. Normally Insurances take a long time when they owe you money. I was very glad. I highly recommend them.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Buyer beware. I was skeptical buying pet insurance but was encouraged to do so by our vet's office staff. Our Labrador retriever had pancreatitis previously so of course I knew that would be an "underlying condition" that would not be covered which is completely fair. However, she recently got severe diarrhea, had to be hospitalized, tests came back negative for pancreatitis so not the same underlying condition and now they've completed denied the $1,450 claim. Even our vet was shocked. I'm cancelling.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I reviewed other pet insures and selected one. After contacting Embrace upon recommendation of my Auto Insurance, Geico I have been please with several aspects. Initial customer service has been excellent. Follow up by email and by phone has been excellent. I received a follow up call on Sunday afternoon in response to one of my inquiries. Embrace offers a 24/7 chat with a pet expert (appeared to be a vet, not sure about that). I chatted for about 30 minutes, all of my questions were answered, which was worth its weight in $$$$.

I was a bit concerned when I read the policy which indicated Embrace would assess my dog's medical qualifications when I made the first claim. Therefore did the following: (a) I provided my one year old GSD's medical history, (b) I have my vet complete the medical exam form Embrace sent to me and (c) I asked if there was an unknown condition discovered, after I made a claim, if they would consider that a pre-existing condition. On their 24/7 chat, they explained to me their policy- I received an immediate reply from a vet: ": No matter how you personalize your policy, Embrace policyholders are covered for: Breed-specific & genetic conditions, Congenital conditions, Chronic conditions, Cancer Exam fees, Alternative therapies & rehabilitation, Behavioral therapy ER & specialist care Diagnostic testing Hospitalization & surgery." Really awesome Insurance carrier.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Very surprised at the negative comments. I have had Embrace for my Dog since she was a pup. Embrace has always been professional, kind and quick to respond. Two big claims we had that were 3,000 each were reimbursed quickly at 1,400 dollars. Never had an issue.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased pet insurance when my puppy was 4 months old from these scammers. I didn’t put in any claims until she was over a year old. Once I put in my first claim all the nonsense started. I brought her to the vet cause she had diarrhea one night. Which is super common in puppies. All of a sudden they labeled her as having a pre existing condition of diarrhea. The next one was for a skin allergy. Again, took her to the vet. Submitted the claim, they wouldn’t pay because it was a pre existing condition. Again I purchased the insurance when she was 4 months old. There were NO pre existing conditions!! In the year and half I paid them and had insurance, I submitted well over $900.00 dollars in vet bills. The only thing they applied to my deductible was $7.00!! Can you believe that? What a joke this company is for pet insurance. Save your money and just pay out of pocket.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: June 22, 2018

The company is all over the place. I already have ASPCA and I wanted to look into something different. I signed up over a month ago and awaited my medical review for my puppy (11 months old). The whole process should take 30 days but it took forever as they continued to fax the wrong vet number. I called in 6 times in 30-40 days and I even had people tell me they would "watch my account and call me back with details". I never got a returned call.

After all my calls I finally got the answers I needed but the manager was just not friendly. The whole experience was bad and after reading online reviews, I was afraid I would be like the rest of the customers and also not get any reimbursements. I am happy to say that I am sticking with ASPCA as they have NEVER questioned one claim, I have ALWAYS received my reimbursement, and they process all claims within 7-10 days. I do not really write reviews but I felt inclined as many use this site to make decisions. I thought I was going to get something "better" with Embrace but what I found out is that the grass is not greener on the other side.

Original review: June 18, 2018

This company changed my pet's coverage after the first vet visit. I would recommend any other pet insurance company. This company does nothing but lie and take your money. Once you make several payments then you find out the coverage is different, so I've been paying them money since February, and now in June, they are changing what's covered. As a consumer, it was my right to know this information back in February before I paid my premium for five months.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Have had Embrace a few years for several pets. Also have had pet insurance from other companies over the years. First thing is that there’s no transparency. Other companies list the claim charges submitted and then list what’s been paid on each and what was excluded. Embrace just sends you a check with no info on the claim being paid— just a claim number. Neither is there any info on their site itemizing the amounts. Half the time, their website portal didn’t work for nearly a year, and even after that overhaul, it’s been mostly useless. It just tells you what a claim number was on a date and the name of your pets. I find this very dishonest. You have to dig out your own invoice copy and do all the arithmetic yourself. No thank you.

Second, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing at this company. I’d almost always get an email saying “more info was needed” and would call and reach someone else. Then I’d be told everything was cleared up only to get an email from another worker saying the opposite. In some cases, email sent would say a claim “was covered” only to find on the useless website buried somewhere was that the claim hadn’t been covered because the rep had misread an medical report and had excluded everything. In other cases, I’d find out months later that some claim had been languishing unpaid because some small detail had been missing (according to Embrace that is) but nobody bothered to ask me. It’s always “log into your account to see the claim details,” and then there’s very little there that explains anything.

For the high premiums paid, the customer has to do extra work on almost every claim to point out errors. That is, if you catch them to begin with since Embrace provides zero accounting to you if what they paid. The reps are usually nice, but that doesn’t make up for the rest. A poorly organized company that robs you of time and directs you to a website that seems to have little function. Don’t know how this company ever got rave reviews.

Original review: June 4, 2018

My experience with Embrace has been a negative one. Months of claims went unanswered until I had to contact someone myself. What's worse is that none of the "so called" covered issues and visits were actually covered. So I canceled my policy out of frustration for giving this company free money while getting absolutely nothing in return. That said, every single person I talked to from the very beginning until the last day, was very professional and extremely courteous and understanding of the situation. Definitely not a recommendation to anyone looking for pet insurance. I have proof of the 10's of claims that were denied for the years 2017/2018. (100% of them).

Original review: May 17, 2018

I was shocked when I saw so many negative reviews for Embrace Pet Insurance. I purchased a policy several years ago but didn't need to use it until this month when one of my dogs suffered from a torn ACL. The TPLO surgery cost just under $4000. Not only did Embrace pay all that I expected, but I received the money in less than 2 weeks from the surgery!!! On the several occasions that I've called, I've spoken to a real person who is both polite and professional. This insurance is everything that I hoped it would be when I purchased it.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I chose Embrace Pet Insurance in June 2017 for my 5 year old german shepherd. He had no history of any health problems except two ear infections, both caused by swimming too much in the summertime, and itchy skin from the chlorine water. It was my first experience buying pet insurance and probably my last because Embrace drag their feet from the beginning. I paid over $800 and they have yet to do a thing except ask for more and more paperwork, which has already been faxed to them, but apparently they toss it in the garbage and, months later, contact me again for the very same thing. I am so disappointed in their lack of coverage and the headache they have caused, and I feel duped. Today, after they are finally paying attention to my account, I have received three emails, two saying they are paying a very small amount for two of the appointments we made in August and September 2017.

They are also considering the ear infection and the fact that my dog was overweight (he's since lost 13 lbs) as "pre-existing conditions." Never mind that we had to have the dog checked by a vet for medical conditions before they would insure him. Or that they have sat on my claims for months; or the fact that they would never pay up if I wasn't contacting them again and again and still trying to get them to do something! Anything! Today, I asked for my money back. Apparently they have sent me two checks for $13, both, I believe for the very same claim! I want my money back since I have done all the work and have had additional expense for vet appointments because they insisted on the medical exam in the beginning, and seem to be ignoring the results of that exam. Please -- do not waste money on Embrace Pet Insurance!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I would not recommend this company. My dog has been with them for 1 year with no issues. They recently reviewed his "temporary exclusion" of an ear infection and although my dog met the 12 month requirement of being ear infection free. They are now claiming his ear cleaner is causing the "exclusion" to continue due to one FDA ingredient. My vet wrote a letter indicating the cleaner was not treatment, but preventative maintenance and they do not care - still excluded. Even though my veterinarian was VERY clear in the letter my dog had not been seen for an ear issue in over 12 months. They clearly will do whatever they can to find loopholes so they can exclude coverage. Would hate to see how they act when it comes time to pay a claim.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Do not waste your time or money. We signed up with Embrace based on the fact that USAA recommended them and USAA has always been great. Huge mistake and wish I had done more research on my own before electing to go with Embrace. Their staff is rude and must be much smarter than any vet out there because they claim to know more about medical conditions than any of the 4 vets my dog has seen. They even went as far as to say that one case of diarrhea and vomiting represents a pre-existing condition for when my dog was diagnosed with IBD a year later. Imagine that... one time being sick and a year later that one thing means your vet wasn’t smart enough to realize that a dog getting sick one time meant they had IBD that whole time. Do yourself a favor and don’t ever consider this company unless of course you are a fan of wasting your time and money.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I purchased Embrace insurance my dog Trooper. I have filed many many claims. I have spent over $10,000 on his medical bills. I paid $99 a month to Embrace and they have rejected EVERY SINGLE CLAIM. They have not paid me a penny back. I adopted Trooper as a senior. He was 11 years old. I took him to the vet and did a full profile on him: Echo, blood work, Ultrasound - everything and I sent the results to Embrace. I was operating in good faith that though his eye problem and his heart would not be covered any new illness would be. They gladly took my payments. They now claim that every unrelated illness is somehow preexisting. Save your money- this is a scam.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My wife and I were remiss in filing our healthcare claims for our English Bulldog and our first claim filing covered an 8 month period. The receipts for vet care totaled about $1800. Embrace found ways to avoid EVERY claim and reimburse us $0. NOTHING!! OMG!!! Now that I have had this shockingly disappointing experience, I revisited the Embrace website. WOW, talk about saying so much about nothing!! They tout about paying for "Routine Care" when it is actually only paying you back using $$ you deposit with them!!

NOW I can see through the slick marketing claims they use to dupe people into thinking they would actually be reimbursed for the healthcare of their pet. Just like the Liberty Auto Insurance commercial we've all seen. When the policyholder is denied coverage under his insurance policy, he is told that he bought the wrong coverage policy. He then corrects them by saying "No, I bought from the wrong insurance company." I feel the same way!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

This company needs to be investigated. I made a mistake and chose them as a pet insurance. My pet went to the ER and they kept placing her claim in pending status that it needs more investigation. I have to call everybody to make sure they received all documents necessary and they still won’t activate look at the claims. They are trying to avoid to pay for the ER bill. It’s been over 2 months since we filed the claim. I’m pretty sure they are actively trying to find any ways to denied our claim. Just called the rep today and asked what’s going on with our claim. She just said, "We have all the documents" and needs to review it. Seriously!!! How long does it take!?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I have Embrace Pet Insurance for 8 years on my two dogs. Their coverage is comprehensive and easy to understand. Very happy with the claims process and staff is very nice when and if I have to call in with a question. Highly recommend Embrace.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

This is a highly unethical company and I wish I would have done more research before I insured my dogs; the other similar reviews would have surely kept me away. Both of my dogs have had claims rejected in the past months for a variety of reasons- all of them a stretch to fit with the coverage policies. In the end, I wound up paying the full cost of our vet visits, plus the monthly insurance payments. I was better off just paying the vet bills out of pocket to begin with. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Without looking at reviews first (mistake!), we enrolled three dogs. On our very first visit, I filed a claim for one dog who had a cut paw. It was rejected. Upon inquiry, they first said it was for orthopedic issue. We literally had to explain that orthopedics had nothing to do with a cut paw. We spoke to another agent who stated that her paw COULD BE a result of a dermatological issue since it was in her records that she had an ear infection 5 months prior. Seriously? Quite a stretch, you think? After reading reviews that said the same things, we immediately canceled. They will try to use everything in your pet's vet record to claim anything is a pre-existing condition and deny your claim. Save yourself the trouble and go with Petplan.

Original review: July 5, 2017

Like any insurance you need to read all the fine print and fully understand what you are getting. I made this mistake particularly with the waiting period and pre existing conditions. That said, I agree completely with what other reviewers have said about pre existing conditions. My vet also had noted some minor lumps and bumps on my older dog during a wellness exam and assured me that they were fatty tumors. Fast forward to a situation where an oral lump was discovered. Vet was concerned and wanted a biopsy. You guessed it, Embrace rejected it. So be aware, anything your vet writes down they will use it as a reason not to cover it. For accidents etc, there was no problem.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I do not recommend this insurance. I have a new puppy which it is common to have diarrhea when they get home. It was cleared up after the first week but because the veterinarian put that on the notes it is now a preexisting condition. The second most ridiculous thing is that he slipped on my hardwood floor after running around at full speed. He started limping and because I am neurotic I brought him to the vet who said he was fine. He was not limping and she did an exam and he was perfectly fine. Now they say that it a preexisting condition. When I called and talked to someone NOT A VETERINARIAN they still say it is a preexisting condition. Can you imagine if I really needed insurance the trouble I would have!! Cancelled it immediately. Do not use them.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Embrace Pet Insurance only knows how to collect monthly premium. I will make this brief. It was a total waste of money for 6 months of coverage. First they did not obtain the pet's medical history and then attributed every claim to a pre-existing condition. I wish my first experience with a Pet Insurance company had not been so AWFUL and NEGATIVE.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

This pet insurance covers nothing and never communicates with the vet you are going to. Forms get mixed up between accounts. We have 2 dogs under different policies and forms for 1 dog got put under the other. Also forms are not put under correctly and get denied always. It is been such a pain calling them to fix things they have made mistakes on. We are very dissatisfied and this company is not recommended.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

My coverage is great. I get everything I need and I never have to worry. If my pet gets hurt or sick they will be there to provide great coverage. That is great to know. The cost is not bad. To know that you have the peace of mind that your animal is going to be ok in case of any reason I think it is a small price to pay for family. I get many discounts. My pet is healthy and the regular vet visits and shot make it so that I get all the stuff I need at a great price. I think these people care. I've never filed a claim but my cuz did and it was fast like a week or so and they had all his cash or a percentage of what he paid back. You can't beat such a great service.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

Very good insurance! We have 2 cats and the coverage has been great for both of them! Saves you money! The cost of the insurance outweighs what it costs at the vets for care and medicine! I would not go without insurance! Have ad discounts on vet visits, medicine, and pet food. I highly recommend this insurance! The processing time is just fine. It doesn't take very long to get money back. I love this insurance!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

It is a great pet insurance company. One time my dog broke her leg so they took care of it. I am very pleased with this company and they helped me and my pet live a successful life. The cost is above average and I can pay this as easy as 1 2 and 3. I recommend this to any pet owner that needs pet insurance. It will save them a lifetime. They have never gave me a discount but the price is still great and this insurance company is useful. It is a very fast processing time and I and my pet are having a wonderful life. We are glad that this company is cheap but still high quality.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

Didn't cover everything but was a huge help when my dog got sick and when my cats got fixed. Customer service was very informative and helpful with all of my questions. It was a little costly but saved me a lot of money in the long run due to unexpected injuries and requiring more vet visits and tests than were expected. Deductibles were much cheaper than having to pay the bill or visits in full and allowed me to bring my animals to the vet more often than I normally would. Filing any claim can be a hassle, but it was definitely easier than filing a car insurance claim or medical claim.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

Everyone was nice and very friendly. I enjoyed everyone's company and the customer service was great and helpful and I thought the process was short and explainable.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

It provides great coverage and is just what I need for my pet. I take very good care of my pet and they help me provide the things I need to do for my pet. It's very fair priced and I'd tell all my friends to get it for their pets. It's a very low value for all they offer - one I'd surely take out again and again. I love the discounts they offer and I would like to see them offer more. They have very good things they can offer and are very cheap for all they do. It don't take long to get the process done and it's very easy to do and I would tell everyone how great of service they do and I'd tell them to try it.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

I have an older dog, a rescue named Angel (AGED 9) who has the usual bumps that most older dogs have. Right after I got her, I took her for a well visit and a "harmless bump" only was noted on her spine, her back. The Vet said it was nothing and not to worry, and I did not as my former Cocker Spaniel had similar bumps. Fast forward a year later and Angel has a cyst on her foot, a real mass/cyst that needs surgery. I foolishly had secured Embrace Pet insurance all year and was never thought twice about the fact that the 500 dollar surgery would be covered. WRONG!!

Embrace denied the claim, claiming that because my dog had a bump on her back (lump, whatever you want to call it--it was super small and harmless) -- a year and half earlier meant the cyst on her foot, a serious mass, would not be covered. WHY? Because the harmless bump was a "pre-existing condition". Now you might ask, what does a tiny bump on Angel's back have to do with a real mass, oozing and bleeding on his foot??? NOTHING AT ALL. And my old Vet agreed and was shocked that Embrace would not cover the surgery. DO NOT GET THIS PET INSURANCE -- THEY ARE CHEATS.

Not sure about Embrace Pet Insurance?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Insurance for you.

Embrace Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Embrace Pet Insurance is a pet insurance company that has been in operation since 2006, focusing on sustainability and providing expert pet care.

• Ability to compare plans: Embrace has a great website that allows consumers to compare their plans with other insurance companies in order to choose the best option.

• Covers both dogs and cats: Embrace will cover treatment for both dogs and cats of any age.

• Experienced: They have been in business for almost 10 years and are a trusted name in the industry.

• No per-incident limitations: Embrace doesn't restrict the overall amount you can be reimbursed for a specific accident or illness like many insurance companies do.

• Hereditary and genetic condition coverage: Embrace covers genetic conditions that your pet might be prone to, such as digestive issues or dysplasia, in full up to the annual maximum that you have chosen.

• Best for: Pet owners with pets with hereditary or genetic conditions, pet owners with old pets, and pet owners with multiple pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

Cleveland
    OH
    www.embracepetinsurance.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business