3.66/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Embrace Pet Insurance is a pet health insurance provider offering comprehensive, personalized insurance products for dogs and cats across the US. Wellness Rewards is a feature of Embrace that can be added to any insurance policy that reimburses for routine and preventative care. Embrace is consistently ranked as one of the highest-rated U.S. pet insurance companies and is a proud member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association. Embrace is the only company to offer a diminishing deductible feature, the Healthy Pet Deductible, and continues to innovate and improve the pet insurance experience for pet parents across the country.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: July 11, 2019

My husband scheduled our dog's annual physical and I didn't know about it until after he'd already taken her. I've explained to him more than once that insurance will only cover one physical per year (humans & pets) so they have to be scheduled for at least a year after the previous physical. This one was less than 10 months after her previous physical.

I filed the claim online and, as I expected, received a check for just the small amount remaining available after payment on the previous physical. I had just paid $200+ for an emergency passport to replace a lost one (that was then found that evening) and, because of a bank error, came back from vacation to hundreds of dollars in NSF fees (only about 1/3 of which the bank would reimburse). So I felt like I was being pummeled by unnecessary expenses. I HATE wasting money, and now I was out about $200 because my dog's physical wasn't covered.

I figured it was worth a shot, so I called Embrace and explained that this was my dog's annual physical, that I didn't know why my husband had taken her 2 months earlier than the previous year, and asked if there was any way they would cover it as if it had been a full year. The rep told me that she would submit it. I just received the decision and they covered it in full! This really made my day and took a lot of the sting out of my recent expense attack. Embrace wasn't my first pet insurance company, but I have been with them for a few years now and they are far superior to my previous insurer. I wish I could put my kids on this plan. I will be with Embrace for as long as I have pets.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My dog was diagnosed with a cruciate ligament tear, and the diagnosis was my first claim. This claim initially took WAY too long and the communication with me (or complete lack thereof) about what was causing the hold up was extremely frustrating. Every time I called in, a different person gave me a different reason and then claimed to resolve it, only for nothing to be updated and the claim to not be processed. In fact, the first time it was processed, it was declined due to the processor not reading the date of the invoice, but rather reading the date of her vaccinations that is logged on all invoices. That type of mistake is pure laziness.

After multiple calls and chats with various representatives, the claim was finally approved. After that, it was smooth sailing. Her surgery claim was approved quickly and efficiently, although I’ve realized that I must submit all claims myself instead of allowing my vet to submit them directly, as your company claims to have never received the documents directly from the vet, despite them sending the documents via multiple methods on multiple occasions. The reimbursement check was sent out quickly and received quickly, so overall, the frustrations were worth it.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We had rescued 2 pit bull-mastiff-lab mix puppies from a local Humane Society. Both were in great health but when one of them, Hamilton, developed a limp when he was a year and a half, we took him to the local vet who diagnosed him with a TPLO of the right hind leg, basically, as I understand it, he tore the tendon in the knee. He needed surgery so we took him to a nearby vet who specializes in sports injuries for dogs.

Hamilton came through surgery great, and then several weeks later did the same to his left hind leg. So back to the vet we went to get that repaired. Both surgeries were covered by Embrace. They paid 80% of the total bill - both for the local vet who first diagnosed the problem and for the vet who actually did the surgery. Without this insurance, we wouldn't have been able to afford the cost and may have had to have taken other measures. Now we have a dog with two bionic legs and is a great and friendly part of our family. I would recommend Embrace Pet Insurance to everyone.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My very first pug, Ping, was 12.5 when she passed in 2013. In her later years she suffered with a UTI that wouldn't go away. Her vet bills were very expensive, as you can imagine. She needed an Ultra Sound for almost $2K. Whether it would have helped or not I have no idea. During this illness she was on expensive medication, special diet food purchased via my vet, and constant urine tests and cultures. As a retired individual I did the best I could for Ping. As an aging pug, she also developed spinal stenosis and lost control of her back legs and bladder. At the time, wheels for dogs weren't as popular and affordable as they are today. I lost my beautiful baby when I felt her quality of life was gone. I swore at that moment that I would never ever have a pug without purchasing insurance for it.

It just so happened that my vet had a mat on his counter which advertised Embrace Pet Insurance. I remembered that when I adopted two rescue pugs 6 months later. While the cost was around 2K for both dogs, my peace of mind was bought, too. It had wellness care which included dental and OTC items, doctor visits for illness and catastrophic care. I had no doubt that this was the way to go for me and my "girls". I now have only 1 pug, but I know she is Embraced! This is long winded I know but I can't say enough about the peace of mind Embrace has given me. I swear by this company and recommend it to others 100%.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

In 2009, I got my first Cocker Spaniel, and shortly thereafter I joined a cocker spaniel forum to learn more about the breed, grooming tips, etc. I learned a lot from this forum, particularly that cockers are predisposed to a variety of health issues, many of which are extremely expensive to treat. The other thing that I learned was that many of the owners obtained pet insurance for their cockers, but had mixed reviews as to their reputations. One company that kept getting excellent reviews was Embrace, and that is the company that I chose for my dog when she was a couple of years old. Their reputation for paying based on actual costs, and for not having breed-specific exclusions were two positive features that I liked.

Fast forward several claim-free years, and Gromit tore the ccl in her knee, requiring surgery. The cost of the surgery and follow-up exams was over $4,000. My first pleasant surprise was that since I had not filed any prior claims, my deductible was automatically reduced! Next, the claims that I submitted were not only paid quickly and without question, but the agent suggested that I set up direct deposit so that I could receive reimbursement even faster. As Gromit has gotten older, the premiums have increased. But the peace of mind that Embrace has provided is worth it to me. I didn't have to hesitate about getting Gromit the surgery that she needed regardless of the cost. And watching her run around and play, pain free and fully-healed, warms my heart.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

EVERY SINGLE CLAIM DENIED in 4 years of having this insurance. This insurance company is a TOTAL scam and a complete waste of time and money. Stay away and don't give them a dime. We've been paying them for years, and now, our dog now has cancer. They said it's not covered because it is not an illness or accident and, therefore, cannot be covered. What a crock. These people are crooks and should be ashamed of themselves.

Hello Hannah,

I am sorry to hear about your frustrating experience with Embrace. I took a look at your policy and would like to help clarify a few items for you. Sofie's cruciate ligament tear claims from 2017 were not covered because she was first noted to have a cruciate ligament tear on 9/15/15, prior to the start of the policy. As her policy began on 9/15/16, this condition is pre-existing and excluded for the life of the policy.

The reason Sofie's recent mass claim was not covered is because Sofie was first noted to have an undiagnosed mass on 9/15/15, prior to the start of the policy. We explained in your medical history review that masses would not be eligible for coverage until that mass was diagnosed and highly encouraged you to get the mass diagnosed so we could cover future masses and cancer. Unfortunately, the policy terms are clear, if a pet has an undiagnosed mass prior to the start of the policy, all future masses, including cancer, will be excluded from coverage. If the pre-existing mass is still present and can be diagnosed, please have it diagnosed and provide that to Embrace on appeal. If the pre-existing mass can be narrowed on appeal, the claims for cancer or future masses can likely be covered. Please send this information to me directly at reh@embracepetinsurance.com.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Claim denied on the terms of it being dermatological. Essentially because I brought him to a vet as a tiny puppy and noticed he was chewing on his foot your company has ruled out ANYTHING related to his skin which is absolutely absurd. His skin is the largest organ on his body, and now whether it is a staph infection (not allergy or chewing foot related) or a scratch on his skin it is all instantly denied. Extremely disappointing as your company came highly recommended. But instead you've ensured you can cover as little as humanly possible because his 'skin' is not covered for a year. Awful service.

Hello Chris,

I'm sorry to hear that you are frustrated with Embrace and the policy terms. I took a look at your policy and hope I can help clarify a few things. The policy definition of dermatological condition does include anything related to the skin. I know this seems like a big exclusion, but it is because the skin is all one organ and we have to treat it as all one body system.

In Malarkey's case, he was first noted to have irritation on his external ear flap on 11/20/18. Although this is a mild condition and does not seem like a big deal, it is an abnormality; and therefore, is pre-existing according to the policy terms. Unfortunately, because he was noted to have a dermatological condition prior to the start of the policy, this condition is not eligible for coverage until Malarkey is free from clinical signs and treatment for all dermatological conditions for 12 consecutive months. I know this isn't the news you were hoping to hear, but it is clearly defined in the policy documents.

The good news is, it looks like we were able to cover $1,871.53 worth of Malarkey's other claims, so his policy has proven to be very valuable for you. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Claims Manager

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Like other 1 star reviews on this site, I had the same experience. I have two dogs, one super healthy, one with some congenital issues we never expected to have covered by insurance. We got a policy for both of them because we were concerned about them aging and hoped insurance would help with some of the routine trials that come with dogs. The occasional diarrhea and vomiting they sometimes get or any skin issues or ear infections. Routine stuff.

I purchased a policy in August after a recommendation from our vet, and at the end of August, our dog developed a small skin infection. Antibiotics cleared it up in a few days. The claim was denied. Why? This is the exact sentence from their review: Unfortunately, a dermatologic condition, excessive head shaking was noted on 2/7/19, which was prior to the policy purchase. This makes dermatologic conditions (see Embrace definition copied below) pre-existing. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? They failed to note here that our dog has never been diagnosed with any sort of ear infection that would cause excessive head shaking. There is no pre-existing condition. This insurance company hides behind their fancy policy wording to never pay a claim. Despicable.

Hello Jessica,

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with Embrace. I took a look at your policy and hope I can help clarify a few things. The policy definition of dermatological condition does include ear infections in the definition. In Runner's case, he was first noted to be shaking his head on 2/7/19, had ear erythema redness on 4/3/19, and an ear infection on 5/21/19. Each of these conditions were prior to the start of his policy. Unfortunately, because he was noted to have a dermatological condition prior to the start of the policy, this condition is not eligible for coverage until Runner is free from clinical signs and treatment for all dermatological conditions for 12 consecutive months. I'm sorry this is not the way you were hoping the policy provided coverage, but it is the nature of the product.

I see that you already cancelled your policy, but if there is anything else I can do to help clarify or ease your concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

One-sentence summary: If your dog has vomited at least one time in the past year (i.e., if it is a dog), your dog will not be covered for any illness for which vomiting could conceivably be a symptom (i.e., most illnesses). My experience with Embrace began a year ago. One day, I came home and found that my cat had been run over by a car but was still alive. Due to the extent of his injuries, the ER vets estimated that doing everything needed to save him would likely total over $10,000. Being a PhD student, I just did not have that kind of money. After trying to come up with the funds, I ultimately had to watch my cat go limp and die in my arms because I could not afford his vet bills.

After that awful experience, I was determined to never let that happen again, and signed up my healthy 3-year old rescued Dalmatian for a plan with Embrace. I did research online before choosing an insurance company, and given the generally positive things I read about Embrace, and the way they marketed themselves as honest and straightforward, decided they seemed like the best bet. My dog is my best friend, and I cannot even imagine being in that situation with him. In early October 2018, I received an email from Embrace: "Hi! You are now out of the accident and illness waiting periods. Nice!" Great I thought, now I now longer have to worry about having to choose between my dog's health and financial ruin. Little did I know.

Fast forward to June, and my dog's health one day begins to decline rapidly, out of nowhere. By the end of the week, he could barely get out of bed. Realizing he was only getting worse, I brought him first to his normal vet office, where they did blood tests and found that his electrolytes and kidney values were abnormal. They sent me to a more specialized 24-hour ER clinic, the one I had been to with my cat. There they diagnosed his mysterious symptoms as Addison's disease.

He fortunately made a rapid recovery on meds and was fine for about a month, when one night he suddenly jumped out of bed (he sleeps with me) and proceeded to have a grand mal seizure, his whole body convulsing, drooling profusely, losing bowel control. I was terrified he might be dying. I held him and tried to calm him and keep him from bumping into anything. Gradually, the seizure died down. However, over the next 24 hours he had 5 or so additional seizures. We ended up back at the ER. They were able to stabilize him but a neurologist found nothing abnormal. He had never had a seizure before in his life and since they could find no cause, they diagnosed him with idiopathic epilepsy. Seizures are not associated with Addison's or his medications, so it seems that was just a really unlucky month for us. At least, I thought, these things will definitely be covered by his insurance. I was just happy he was okay.

So the claims? As of now, 4/5 have been rejected (related to Addison's) and the one for epilepsy has not been decided. I filed them all in early August- it is now October. Why were the Addison's claims rejected? Well in November, I brought him to the vet because I thought he seemed a little constipated. After my cat incident I did not want to take any risks- that's what I insured him for. The vet found nothing wrong and prescribed a bland diet, and he went back to normal. She recorded, however, that he had vomited up one serving of chicken soup I fed him (a new food for him).

Because vomiting is a "clinical sign," Embrace said, Addison's (known as "the great pretender" because of its nonspecific symptoms) was a pre-existing condition and not covered. Ignoring for a second the absurdity of that, how could it be pre-existing if it was past the waiting period? Well, Embrace messed up. His vet checkup the previous year had actually been more than 12 months before I enrolled- after they told me the waiting period was over I didn't bother to double check the date- they had received all his records after all.

The same day they denied the claims, I received an email saying that they had gone back and altered the waiting period in his policy- a year later. Not only is this grossly unethical, it is clearly in violation of a provision in his policy for my state of residence. I won't go into detail, but the wording is clear that there is a specific time window and set of circumstances under which coverage can be retroactively modified, and this in no way fits. So Embrace does not even bother to check that they are following their own policy.

I am severely disappointed and frankly disgusted by my experience with Embrace. I know how insurance is supposed to work- I used to work as a healthcare industry consultant and understanding health insurance was part of my job. Let me be clear- this is not insurance- this is a scam. I will update this review as necessary but unless Embrace complies with their stated policy, I will see them in small claims court.

Hello Maxwell,

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with Embrace. I looked over your policy and would like to help clarify a few things regarding your review. For a policy to be valid, a pet must be examined in the 12-months prior to the start of the policy. You purchased your policy online; therefore, this condition was explained in multiple places in the quote engine and after you purchased your policy. In addition to this, in the emails you received as a part of the onboarding process, it was explained that Ollie needed to have an exam with a veterinarian in the past 12 months for the policy to be valid.

It was not until you submitted the first illness claim on 8/7/19, that we initiated Ollie’s medical history review. At this time, it was discovered that Ollie had not had an exam in the 12-months prior to the start of the policy; therefore, according to the policy terms and conditions, the policy was not valid until the date of the first examination.

The first examination occurred on 11/8/18. Based on this information, his illness waiting period was extended to this date, and the abnormalities noted on this date are pre-existing. On 11/8/18, he was found to be painful since the day prior, hunched over, not eating, and vomiting. He was also found to be crying, shaking, and released his bladder and bowels. The veterinarian noted that Ollie’s belly was tense during exam and they suspected that these symptoms were possibly due to something gastrointestinal or a type or neuromuscular pain.

Ollie was seen on 6/10/19 at Pittsford Animal Hospital for not eating, vomiting after eating, lethargy and difficulty standing on his rear legs. After diagnostics were completed, Ollie was diagnosed with Addison’s disease. Common clinical signs for Addison’s disease are weakness, dehydration, vomiting, diarrhea, and decrease in appetite. Ollie was exhibiting a few of these clinical signs at his visit on 11/8/18, which were pre-existing conditions. As there were no diagnostics completed on 11/8/18 to rule out Addison’s disease as a cause for Ollie’s symptoms, we are unable to cover any claims associated with Ollie’s Addison’s disease.

The claim that was submitted for Ollie’s seizures on 7/16/19, was put on hold so we could obtain the veterinary exam notes to determine that his seizures were in no way related to his Addison’s disease. As soon as we get these missing visit notes, the pending claim will be processed.

If you would like to have you vet submit additional information as to why they feel that Ollie’s symptoms on 11/8/18 are not related to his underlying Addison’s disease, we can then set up an appeal for these claims.

Rachel Hinder

Claims Manager

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

We have had insurance on our 12 dogs with Embrace for around two years now and have overall had a good experience until now. Claims and communication were thorough and timely but we have had not received the prompt emails and turn around time on the last claims. It seems as if there is a tactic to delay paying claims. The dogs are the same dogs from day one and they are asking for medical records before they will pay. All of our dogs’ medical records were provided when we began the policy, all have long passed the waiting period so there are no pre-existing conditions.

One of the dogs was treated at an emergency clinic upon referral from our regular veterinarian and they are requesting a complete medical record from the emergency clinic. An emergency clinic does not have a year’s medical record. They only see animals on an emergent basis for a short amount of time. The policy states claims will be addressed in specific amount of time. I have to pay the claims upfront sometimes with a credit card for which I pay 18% interest. When our claims are not paid in a timely manner that interest is like a rate hike for the year, a cost of doing business with Embrace.

We spend roughly 4000.00 a year for this insurance via direct withdrawal. It is not late and if it were I’m certain I would be notified immediately. Just would like to have the same privilege with claims handling. We chose Embrace with the long haul in mind but now beginning to wonder if we will have to start all over again with another company and the waiting periods and pre-existing conditions we have already paid to cover with Embrace.

Hello Aron,

I want to begin by thanking you for being such a loyal customer to Embrace. Not only have you been with Embrace for years, you also have so many fur babies insured with us! They are lucky to be in such a great family!

I am sorry for the delay in processing Holland and Purdey's most recent claims. Our claims department is behind our normal claims processing turn-around time. We are making every possible effort to get this remedied and I really appreciate your patience as we get things back on track. Both Purdey and Holland's claims were held up to have some additional medical records reviewed to update some temporary pre-existing conditions, which I did this morning. I was able to update both their medical history reviews and get their claims in line for processing today. Again, I apologize for this delay, but am happy to report they will be completed very shortly. I assure you, the delay in processing is not intention or strategic, in fact, we are putting all our efforts into reducing this delay and getting claims processed faster.

Thank you again for being such a loyal customer and I hope we are able to restore your faith in our company. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Embrace Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Embrace Pet Insurance is a pet insurance company that has been in operation since 2006, focusing on sustainability and providing expert pet care.

• Ability to compare plans: Embrace has a great website that allows consumers to compare their plans with other insurance companies in order to choose the best option.

• Covers both dogs and cats: Embrace will cover treatment for both dogs and cats of any age.

• Experienced: They have been in business for almost 10 years and are a trusted name in the industry.

• No per-incident limitations: Embrace doesn't restrict the overall amount you can be reimbursed for a specific accident or illness like many insurance companies do.

• Hereditary and genetic condition coverage: Embrace covers genetic conditions that your pet might be prone to, such as digestive issues or dysplasia, in full up to the annual maximum that you have chosen.

• Best for: Pet owners with pets with hereditary or genetic conditions, pet owners with old pets, and pet owners with multiple pets.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky