Get Pricing

2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

4.2/5 (117 ratings)

About Embrace Pet Insurance

Embrace Pet Insurance offers coverage for dogs and cats and reimburses pet owners for preventative veterinary care, grooming and behavioral training with no per-item limits. Embrace charges a monthly premium and helps cover expenses if your pet needs emergency medical attention or another service.

Pros

• Use any vet
  • Offers vanishing deductible
  • Accident-only coverage

Cons

• Not all policies available online
  • No zero-deductible options

Bottom Line

Embrace Pet Insurance reimburses dog and cat owners for the most common medical services and treatments. It covers accidents, illnesses and breed-specific conditions.

Top Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My dog had surgery last month. The procedure was covered and Embrace was super easy to work with and efficient. My reimbursement was in my account just weeks after the surgery. Th...

Verified

When your otherwise healthy 13-year old pup has a small lump, you need to know, what is it, has it spread, and what can we treat it? I was so happy I’d made the decision to have B...

How does Embrace Pet Insurance work?

When you sign your pet up with Embrace, you can take them to any vet for the services they need. You are not required to use a vet within a specific network. Once your pet has been treated, you complete the claim form, submit it and are reimbursed for services and treatment covered under your plan.

There are different coverage levels to choose from, and you can downgrade or upgrade your policy at any time. When you insure your pet with Embrace, they are covered for life. Your coverage never drops based on your pet's age or health.

Cancer treatment, behavioral therapy and breed-specific conditions are covered, and the company reimburses you for vet exam fees. Dogs and cats under the age of 14 are eligible for full coverage, and pets older than this are eligible for accident-only coverage.

Embrace has a unique online resource that lists the most popular dog breeds and their most common breed-specific medical conditions. This can help pet owners choose the right coverage for their pets.

Embrace Wellness Rewards program

Embrace’s Wellness Rewards program, which can be added to your policy, reimburses you for preventative care. This includes wellness exams, microchipping, spaying/neutering, vaccinations and flea medication.

There are three annual allowance options for Wellness Rewards reimbursement:

• $250 allowance per policy year
  • $450 allowance per policy year
  • $650 allowance per policy year

Embrace Pet Insurance coverage

Embrace is transparent about what policies do and do not cover. The company’s website lists the different coverage options and defines eligibility requirements and guidelines for preexisting conditions.

Accidents
Older pets can benefit from Embrace’s accident-only coverage plan. This plan covers your pet if it ingests a foreign object, is cut or is hit by a car. This plan reimburses you up to $5,000 each year. You’ll pay a $100 deductible once a year, and then you're reimbursed 90% of your veterinary bills when your pet experiences an accident.
Illnesses
Embrace covers every illness from nose to tail with no precondition limitations. This means if your pet is prone to breed-specific illnesses, medical treatment is covered under your plan.
Dental issues
Dental pain can be very uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous for pets. Dental work on animals can also be very expensive. Embrace covers dental treatment for periodontal disease, gingivitis, root canals, crowns, oral masses and extractions. Up to $1,000 in dental work is covered per year.
Cancer and chronic conditions
Cancer coverage is included in all plans and includes everything from the consultation testing and radiation to chemotherapy, surgery, hospitalization and rehabilitation. Cancer treatments are one of the most expensive medical treatments for pet owners, and chemotherapy can run $150 to $600 a dose. Cancer coverage means you can give your pet a fighting chance without worrying about how you’re going to afford it.

Embrace Pet Insurance also covers a wide range of treatments including:

• Alternative therapies and rehabilitation
  • Hospitalization and surgery
  • Prescription drug coverage
  • Prosthetics and mobility devices

Conditions not covered

The list of what Embrace does not cover is shorter than the list of what it does cover. Basically, Embrace covers treatment and services that are crucial to the health and well-being of your pet, but not cosmetic services, breeding, whelping or preexisting conditions.

How much does Embrace Pet Insurance cost?

Dog insurance costs average around $30 to $40 per month, and cat insurance averages around $15 to $20 per month. Embrace has a one-time enrollment fee of $25 and a $1 monthly processing fee for those who pay monthly.

Embrace lets you customize your plan, so you can choose the deductible, the reimbursement percentage, any riders or optional coverage add-ons and annual maximums. You know your pet and your budget, and Embrace has coverage options to fit them both.

Embrace Pet Insurance FAQ

Is Embrace Pet Insurance good?
Yes. Pet lovers all over the country trust Embrace to help them cover unexpected medical bills for their pets. Embrace is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association.
Does Embrace Pet Insurance cover vaccines?
Vaccines are covered by Embrace's Wellness Rewards program because receiving them is considered preventive or routine care, but routine care is not covered by the insurance policy itself.
Can I use Embrace Pet Insurance at every vet’s office?
Yes. Embrace does not use a network for vets. You can take your pet to any veterinarian, specialist or emergency hospital you like.
What’s not covered by Embrace Pet Insurance?
Embrace Pet Insurance does not cover cosmetic services, breeding, DNA testing or preexisting conditions.

Is Embrace Pet Insurance worth it?

Pet insurance is a service you hope you never have to use but are thankful to have it when you need it. Embrace Pet Insurance is a reputable company that makes pet ownership more affordable. Having insurance means you never have to deny your pet medical attention because of your finances.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: April 27, 2021

I didn't even know you could buy pet insurance until I was sitting in a pet emergency department with my beloved German shepherd as we tried to save him. 3 hours later he passed and we had a $2,500 bill. I found a pamphlet in the emergency department about how affordable pet insurance was. We had spend hundreds of dollars/month on our pet for expensive treatments. If we had only known.

Soooo, when we rescued two beautiful Russian Blue kitties two years later, we began looking for pet insurance. We discovered Pet Embrace. We trusted them because USAA partnered with them. They have a great wellness program, which enabled us to budget out all the wellness care our kitties needed immediately; however, they ALSO have an outstanding affordable MEDICAL policy that covers illness and accidents. That really gave us peace of mind. Filing claims is so easy and streamlined through their online portal. Every time I have reached out to ask a question or file a claim I have spoke with a real, kind, human being with no language barriers and without ever being placed on hold and no phone trees. Their customer service is STELLAR. I wish I could give them 10 stars.

Embrace Pet Insurance response

Wow, Nina, thank you for such a wonderful review! Meeting and exceeding our pet parent's expectations is our number one goal and it means the world to us to hear when we've accomplished this task. I hope your kitties stay as healthy as possible, but if you ever need us, we're here for you.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2021

I was always so weary about pet insurance but with my past experiences in the cost of vet bills I decided to give it a go. I learned about Embrace through USAA for my pet. I also opted for the most coverage and most rewards points. The claims process was extremely easy especially over the app, and the personnel over the phone are extremely helpful and kind. Unfortunately about a month ago my baby got very sick and was in and out of the ICU, last week I had to make that difficult decision that no one wants to make, he had advanced lymphoma and there was really nothing we could do. Embrace was by my side! If it wasn’t for having them as insurance I would have not been able to provide the best care for my pupper during his last days. If you have a pet and are looking for a phenomenal insurance who truly cares about animals, Embrace is definitely the way to go!!

Hello Ada,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Canelo, my thoughts are with you during this very difficult time. Although what you went through with Canelo is every pet parent's worst nightmare, I'm glad the financial aspect was taken out of your decisions. I appreciate you taking the time to do your homework on pet insurance and deciding to go with USAA/Embrace. Our pet parent's satisfaction is our number one concern.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: April 5, 2021

I have two cats, one I adopted in 2017, and the other around Christmas of 2020. When I adopted my Tuxedo, I got her insurance with Healthy Paws, so that's who I had been with ever since. When it came time to adding the second cat to her account, things got complicated. Unfortunately, Leo came home and got ill about two weeks following. What was initially thought to be linked to gastroenterology issues wound up to be upper respiratory and he ended up having to be seen several times within a two month period. Needless to say, Healthy Paws denied his claims for pre-existing conditions.

I filed an appeal, but after it dragging out over a month and them then requiring additional documentation from his veterinarian interpreting his medical records, I had had enough at that point. I didn't even care about the thousand dollars in claims at that point, they had made my life ridiculously and unnecessarily stressful and I put an end to it. I walked away and canceled his policy with Healthy Paws and came over to Embrace.

I had been looking into Embrace and a few other companies a few weeks prior just so I was prepared if that time came. Ultimately I chose Embrace because of the consistency of their reviews (because I don't expect any company to be perfect), the quantity of their exceptional reviews, but mostly my own personal customer service experience. I spent at least an hour over two or three phone calls with customer service getting information and eventually setting up a policy. Not once did I have any reason to question why I wouldn't want to trust them to insure the well-being of my pets.

I actually was excited I had found them - it made the Healthy Paws experience a whole lot less bitter. I was met with kindness, compassion, friendliness, and consideration. Customer service was prompt and patient and never left any of my many questions unanswered. They also spent a great deal of time helping me to find the most appropriate policy for my needs and budget and offered considerable discounts. I only wish it were convenient for me to bring my other cat over right now, unfortunately because of her health issues at the moment, it'll have to wait a bit. Looking forward to a new beginning with Embrace!

Hello Cristine,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. It means the world to us to hear that you had a great experience with our Pet Insurance Advisor team. If there is anything you need going forward, just let us know!

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I like how easy it is for submit a claim. I dislike that almost every time I submit a claim I get a message in my portal saying they don't have enough info to process my claim and that Embrace requested additional info from my vet. I usually wait a couple days to see if the docs arrived before I email Embrace to ask what docs they need so I can request them myself and get a speedier resolution of my claim. I have NEVER received a message back from Embrace about what extra docs they need from the vet. I ALWAYS end up calling Embrace and speaking with a rep who suddenly doesn't need additional docs and processes my claim immediately. Always feels like Embrace is delaying processing and hopes I'll just forget. I appreciate the reps on the phone for immediately resolving my claims since the online department apparently never can without a phone call from me.

Hello Brazil,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear your claims process has not been as positive as we intend. Some of the hold up on your claims was due to the fact it was the first illness claim on the policy. In order to process the first illness claim, we must collect and review medical records for 12-months prior to the start of the policy. This process takes quite a bit of time, so first claims often take significantly longer than subsequent claims. If you would like to speed up the first claim process, you can request a medical history review for Guinness. You can email us at askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com if this is something you are interested in.

Additionally, to ensure that a claim is processed as quickly as possible it must contain a detailed invoice (including all pages and the total) in addition to a claim form with specific details regarding the claim. The diagnosis (what is provided on the claim form) tells us how to process a claim and if it is eligible for coverage, so we need as much detail as possible in this area. If a diagnosis is very brief (i.e. "medication" or "dental") we need to get additional information in order to process the claim, which can delay processing time.

I am glad to hear you have had a good experience with our Customer Service team, I hope your future claims experience is better.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Embrace Pet Insurance has far outshone any pet insurance product I’ve ever had. They insured my cat who, ultimately & sadly, had two different forms of cancer over the course of three years. Embrace paid every single claim for his NYC pricey treatment from biopsies to surgeries to specialty medications. I repeat; they never challenged one claim.

Equally important, Embrace does not pay based upon national norms; they understand that different areas in the US are more or less expensive than others and reimburse based upon the billed amount. I’ve had policies with other companies and that has never been my experience. With them, I would receive a fraction of the cost of the service; with Embrace, I received back 80% of the actual charge. I had direct deposit; I would submit the claim or it would be submitted by the veterinarian and approximately two weeks later the money would reliably appear in my bank account.

They did not fail to renew my policy because he was ill or aged; he renewed until he passed at age 14. Further, they have a service where you can consult a vet online with any questions which was valuable to me and is extremely valuable during this Pandemic. Equally important, these people truly care about animals and about customer service. Since my cat was such a high consumer of health care, I would often call to get a benefit determination for some new service and they were always patient, thorough and knowledgeable. After a short while, they knew exactly who I was and would ask how he was doing every contact. When they learned he had passed, I received a Sympathy Card which included a link to an Online Memorial for him. I can’t say enough good things about Embrace. I will never insure any of my pets with any other pet insurer again.

Original review: July 11, 2021

Submitted claim for benign mass removal from my dog's head. Followed the directions making sure the vet's invoice matched what I submitted and was reimbursed within 2 weeks! Easy peasy lemon squeezy! Feels good knowing that when issues like this come up we are covered.

Hello Tanya,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your claims experience with Embrace. We try really hard to make it as easy and fast of a process as possible, it's great to hear we are hitting the mark. Please give Livi a belly rub from me!

Original review: July 11, 2021

Wellness claim for puppy shots was still pending after 2 weeks - asking for medical records they already had. Not worth the trouble. The one good thing I can say about them is that their customer service representatives on the phone are excellent - very friendly and professional.

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for taking the time to say such nice things about our Customer Service Representatives, I'll be sure to pass your kind words on to them.

Regarding your claim experience, I am sorry it did not go as smoothly as we hope. I see that the claim you submitted for Scout included both routine Wellness Rewards items (vaccines, monthly heartworm, flea, and tick prevention, etc) as well as charges that were incurred for an illness (skin/ear cytology and prescription ear medication). When we receive a claim that has mixed charges for both Wellness Rewards reimbursement and illness insurance, we have to evaluate for both at the same time. I understand this can be frustrating because you ultimately did not want the illness items evaluated. I see that we got that note on 7/9/21 (that you wished for only the Wellness Rewards item to be assessed) and the claim was processed later the same day. I'm sorry this took longer than expected; hopefully, the next claim for Scout takes less time.

If you have any other questions in the meantime, feel free to contact us at askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I am so thankful for the peace of mind I get from Embrace! They have been amazing with my Sweet Begonia. She is a beautiful healthy three year old xoloitzcuintli and it did not break me financially when she developed kidney disease that required a kidney biopsy and is now managed thru medication. Embrace handles every claim with efficiency and the money is always back in my account so quickly. If I ever need help or have questions about a claim, the Embracers are wonderful, caring and effective. I will never own another animal without pet insurance. She recently had an intestinal issue and the claims were paid and the money was in my account before the vet bill charge could go from pending to actual in my bank account. It has been a comfort to know I could care for my sweet dog without having to worry about the financial aspect of it all. Thank you Embrace.

Hello Gina,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review. I am so glad we have provided coverage for Begonia and her condition is able to be managed with medication. She is a lucky girl to have such an amazing mom. We don't see many Xoloitzcuintlis, so I'd love it if you sent over a picture of your sweet girl (reh@embracepetinsurance.com)!

Original review: July 9, 2021

We have been with Embrace since 2010 and I am beyond SO ETERNALLY grateful for this amazing company and family! Without them, I’d never have be able to afford to give my 4lb tea cup yorkie (little angel in a doggy body) an amazing life that every pet and animal deserve. When I got 8 week old Bella my mom told me to get pet insurance. Hands down, Embrace seemed like the best across the board. They were clear on their annual cap and reimbursement percentage per claim so that’s who I went with. I would have never expected to need to them as soon as I did when Bella was viciously attacked at just 3 months old.

Without Embrace, I wouldn’t have been able to afford Bella’s life saving ER care after the owner (of the white Malamute which was off a leash while she rollerbladed) took off leaving me with not just a disheartened heart in humanity, but also left me with a hefty medical bill followed by a year of intense home health care, medication, re-integration therapy, and doctor visits for Bella. Embrace annual fee is worth every single penny!

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have had several insurance policies for my pets and they have been a nightmare. I switched to Embrace in 2020 and to be honest, they have been a pleasure to work with. Their staff is super nice, their phone app is fantastic and I never have had an issue with them. Keep up the good job guys! You put other insurance companies to shame.

Hello Daniela,

Thank you so much for providing such kind feedback about your Embrace experience thus far. We are glad to have you and Riker as part of the family!

Embrace Pet Insurance Company Information