2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance
Accredited Partner

Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.17/5

Embrace Pet Insurance offers coverage for dogs and cats and reimburses pet owners for preventative veterinary care, grooming and behavioral training with no per-item limits. Embrace charges a monthly premium and helps cover expenses if your pet needs emergency medical attention or another service.

BOTTOM LINE

Embrace Pet Insurance reimburses dog and cat owners for the most common medical services and treatments. It covers accidents, illnesses and breed-specific conditions.

PROS

• Use any vet
  • Offers vanishing deductible
  • Accident-only coverage

CONS

• Not all policies available online
  • No zero-deductible options

Top Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

My dog had surgery last month. The procedure was covered and Embrace was super easy to work with and efficient. My reimbursement was in my account just weeks after the surgery. They answered their phone, I wasn’t on hold and they were able to answer all my questions…

When your otherwise healthy 13-year old pup has a small lump, you need to know, what is it, has it spread, and what can we treat it? I was so happy I’d made the decision to have Brownie insured, because I was able to get all the answers and treatment without worrying about cost…

Embrace Pet Insurance Get Pricing

How does Embrace Pet Insurance work?

When you sign your pet up with Embrace, you can take them to any vet for the services they need. You are not required to use a vet within a specific network. Once your pet has been treated, you complete the claim form, submit it and are reimbursed for services and treatment covered under your plan.

There are different coverage levels to choose from, and you can downgrade or upgrade your policy at any time. When you insure your pet with Embrace, they are covered for life. Your coverage never drops based on your pet's age or health.

Cancer treatment, behavioral therapy and breed-specific conditions are covered, and the company reimburses you for vet exam fees. Dogs and cats under the age of 14 are eligible for full coverage, and pets older than this are eligible for accident-only coverage.

Embrace has a unique online resource that lists the most popular dog breeds and their most common breed-specific medical conditions. This can help pet owners choose the right coverage for their pets.

Embrace Wellness Rewards program

Embrace’s Wellness Rewards program, which can be added to your policy, reimburses you for preventative care. This includes wellness exams, microchipping, spaying/neutering, vaccinations and flea medication.

There are three annual allowance options for Wellness Rewards reimbursement:

• $250 allowance per policy year
  • $450 allowance per policy year
  • $650 allowance per policy year

Embrace Pet Insurance coverage

Embrace is transparent about what policies do and do not cover. The company’s website lists the different coverage options and defines eligibility requirements and guidelines for preexisting conditions.

Accidents
Older pets can benefit from Embrace’s accident-only coverage plan. This plan covers your pet if it ingests a foreign object, is cut or is hit by a car. This plan reimburses you up to $5,000 each year. You’ll pay a $100 deductible once a year, and then you're reimbursed 90% of your veterinary bills when your pet experiences an accident.
Illnesses
Embrace covers every illness from nose to tail with no precondition limitations. This means if your pet is prone to breed-specific illnesses, medical treatment is covered under your plan.
Dental issues
Dental pain can be very uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous for pets. Dental work on animals can also be very expensive. Embrace covers dental treatment for periodontal disease, gingivitis, root canals, crowns, oral masses and extractions. Up to $1,000 in dental work is covered per year.
Cancer and chronic conditions
Cancer coverage is included in all plans and includes everything from the consultation testing and radiation to chemotherapy, surgery, hospitalization and rehabilitation. Cancer treatments are one of the most expensive medical treatments for pet owners, and chemotherapy can run $150 to $600 a dose. Cancer coverage means you can give your pet a fighting chance without worrying about how you’re going to afford it.

Embrace Pet Insurance also covers a wide range of treatments including:

• Alternative therapies and rehabilitation
  • Hospitalization and surgery
  • Prescription drug coverage
  • Prosthetics and mobility devices

Conditions not covered

The list of what Embrace does not cover is shorter than the list of what it does cover. Basically, Embrace covers treatment and services that are crucial to the health and well-being of your pet, but not cosmetic services, breeding, whelping or preexisting conditions.

How much does Embrace Pet Insurance cost?

Dog insurance costs average around $30 to $40 per month, and cat insurance averages around $15 to $20 per month. Embrace has a one-time enrollment fee of $25 and a $1 monthly processing fee for those who pay monthly.

Embrace lets you customize your plan, so you can choose the deductible, the reimbursement percentage, any riders or optional coverage add-ons and annual maximums. You know your pet and your budget, and Embrace has coverage options to fit them both.

Embrace Pet Insurance FAQ

Is Embrace Pet Insurance good?
Yes. Pet lovers all over the country trust Embrace to help them cover unexpected medical bills for their pets. Embrace is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association.
Does Embrace Pet Insurance cover vaccines?
Vaccines are covered by Embrace's Wellness Rewards program because receiving them is considered preventive or routine care, but routine care is not covered by the insurance policy itself.
Can I use Embrace Pet Insurance at every vet’s office?
Yes. Embrace does not use a network for vets. You can take your pet to any veterinarian, specialist or emergency hospital you like.
What’s not covered by Embrace Pet Insurance?
Embrace Pet Insurance does not cover cosmetic services, breeding, DNA testing or preexisting conditions.

Is Embrace Pet Insurance worth it?

Pet insurance is a service you hope you never have to use but are thankful to have it when you need it. Embrace Pet Insurance is a reputable company that makes pet ownership more affordable. Having insurance means you never have to deny your pet medical attention because of your finances.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I like how easy it is for submit a claim. I dislike that almost every time I submit a claim I get a message in my portal saying they don't have enough info to process my claim and that Embrace requested additional info from my vet. I usually wait a couple days to see if the docs arrived before I email Embrace to ask what docs they need so I can request them myself and get a speedier resolution of my claim. I have NEVER received a message back from Embrace about what extra docs they need from the vet. I ALWAYS end up calling Embrace and speaking with a rep who suddenly doesn't need additional docs and processes my claim immediately. Always feels like Embrace is delaying processing and hopes I'll just forget. I appreciate the reps on the phone for immediately resolving my claims since the online department apparently never can without a phone call from me.

Hello Brazil,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear your claims process has not been as positive as we intend. Some of the hold up on your claims was due to the fact it was the first illness claim on the policy. In order to process the first illness claim, we must collect and review medical records for 12-months prior to the start of the policy. This process takes quite a bit of time, so first claims often take significantly longer than subsequent claims. If you would like to speed up the first claim process, you can request a medical history review for Guinness. You can email us at askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com if this is something you are interested in.

Additionally, to ensure that a claim is processed as quickly as possible it must contain a detailed invoice (including all pages and the total) in addition to a claim form with specific details regarding the claim. The diagnosis (what is provided on the claim form) tells us how to process a claim and if it is eligible for coverage, so we need as much detail as possible in this area. If a diagnosis is very brief (i.e. "medication" or "dental") we need to get additional information in order to process the claim, which can delay processing time.

I am glad to hear you have had a good experience with our Customer Service team, I hope your future claims experience is better.

Take care,

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Embrace Pet Insurance has far outshone any pet insurance product I’ve ever had. They insured my cat who, ultimately & sadly, had two different forms of cancer over the course of three years. Embrace paid every single claim for his NYC pricey treatment from biopsies to surgeries to specialty medications. I repeat; they never challenged one claim.

Equally important, Embrace does not pay based upon national norms; they understand that different areas in the US are more or less expensive than others and reimburse based upon the billed amount. I’ve had policies with other companies and that has never been my experience. With them, I would receive a fraction of the cost of the service; with Embrace, I received back 80% of the actual charge. I had direct deposit; I would submit the claim or it would be submitted by the veterinarian and approximately two weeks later the money would reliably appear in my bank account.

They did not fail to renew my policy because he was ill or aged; he renewed until he passed at age 14. Further, they have a service where you can consult a vet online with any questions which was valuable to me and is extremely valuable during this Pandemic. Equally important, these people truly care about animals and about customer service. Since my cat was such a high consumer of health care, I would often call to get a benefit determination for some new service and they were always patient, thorough and knowledgeable. After a short while, they knew exactly who I was and would ask how he was doing every contact. When they learned he had passed, I received a Sympathy Card which included a link to an Online Memorial for him. I can’t say enough good things about Embrace. I will never insure any of my pets with any other pet insurer again.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I have NOTHING but good things to say about Embrace! The app made submitting claims a breeze and everyone I have been in contact with was extremely nice and helpful. There were no hoops to jump through to get claims processed. Unfortunately my pup was poisoned and sadly passed away; we had a high vet bill and Embrace processed much quicker than anticipated. I never had to contact them to explain the situation or notify them of my baby’s passing. They saw in the vet bill and immediately reached out to offer condolences, I didn’t even need to cancel coverage as they had already done so for me. They made a difficult time so much easier for me and I will always be grateful.

I’ve shared my experience with Embrace via social media so dog owners are aware of dangerous plants as well as how important pet insurance is and how amazing Embrace was throughout the process. When we are ready for another puppy we will definitely use Embrace and I will be recommending them to my company which offers a different pet insurance. Thank you all!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Policy Holder since Oct 2018 and best money ever spent. Dog was almost 11 yr old when purchased policy and felt price was very reasonable (under $100/mo) for a senior larger breed dog (Shepard mix). Being a senior she has arthritis and also diagnosed with Cushing's disease so has periodic testing and monthly meds. Also unfortunately, she has had 2 surgeries to remove foreign objects she ingested. Let me say that the peace of mind knowing that we are 90% of meds/procedure costs back is priceless for our 4 legged family member. I simply have provided the claim form to the Vet and they handle everything for me.

I have had zero issues with any claim and with direct deposit it is sent within days. If you have an awesome Vet staff who can handle the claims then I would imagine you can expect the same experience from Embrace that I have had. In second policy year and renewal was a breeze and plan to continue with policy for years to come. Thank you Embrace!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I want to thank each and everyone of you at Embrace Pet Insurance. I have had my dog and 2 cats insured through Embrace for several years and up until recently, I have been lucky to not have to submit a claim. Unfortunately, my kitty, Smokey, began losing weight. He was very sick and I was taking him to the Vet and after much testing, they found he had Triaditis and Cancer of the Intestines. Needless to say, it was expensive and had it not been for Embrace, I could not have given my kitty extra time and comfort before I had to send him to the Rainbow Bridge. Embrace made it so easy to submit claim forms for each Vet visit, each test, all the medication poor Smokey was on. They processed the claims efficiently and quickly. They approved everything that was covered under the policy I chose and the checks were in my hands so I could continue to try to help my kitty. Smokey was the sweetest, kindest cat I have ever known. I miss him so much.

After I let Embrace know that Smokey had passed, I received a beautiful sympathy card from them. The employees wrote individual messages to me and I can't tell you how wonderful that made me feel. They cared and they treated me with the upmost respect during this horrible time. I cannot encourage you enough to get Embrace Pet Insurance for your beloved fur kids. This is an A+ company and compassionate too.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Our cat had severe gastritis on Thanksgiving and was vomiting every thirty minutes to an hour for twelve hours. We had to take her to the animal hospital where she was treated. Since it was our first claim, Embrace requested her medical history which my vet submitted immediately. I confirmed with Embrace that it was received immediately. It is now January 7th and Embrace has still not processed the claim. Had I known they would would sit on claims for months and provide near non-existent customer service (I receive the same standard, generic email every time I question the status), I would’ve chosen a better provider. I also recently received notice that our premium will be going up significantly for the next year, which I assume is in response to the fact that we filed a claim, even though they have not paid the claim.

Hello Elizabeth,

I am sorry for the delay in processing Alexa's recent claim. We are experiencing a higher-than-normal claim volume and we are combating Covid-19 staffing issues. We are working very hard to make sure we get claims processed as quickly as possible. I took a look at Alexa's policy and it looks like the medical records were reviewed and the claim was processed and covered.

Regarding a change in premium, we do not change annual premium based on claim history. The premium can go up as pets age, elevated veterinary costs as a whole, and other general factors, but never related to individual claim behavior. We do offer a healthy pet deductible reward though; each year you have your policy without a claim, we reduce your annual deductible by $50.00.

I hope this helps alleviate some of your concerns with Embrace.

Take care,

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

I purchased Embrace for my puppy. The day of enrollment is off by 1 day which I believe is a clerical error so now they will not cover any issues related to urine related health issues they deem that pre existing. I don’t it doesn’t make sense that I would purchase the policy and bring the puppy on the same day. When my other dog broke his hind leg due to cancer they said it was orthopedic, therefore NOT Covered, I put him to sleep regardless a 260 pound dog whose rear paw breaks from a cancerous tumor that I had no idea was there. Cannot live a good life on 3 legs and would have passed from the cancer within 3 months. Don’t recommend. Now I am stuck with a company that doesn’t pay. Also their deductible is not prorated. I paid 1,000 deductible for 6 months. When purchasing the policy I asked for 2 separate policies for each dog they said NO. Everyone raves about Nationwide. I should have went with them.

Hello Nancy,

I would first like to reach out and say how sorry I am to hear of the passing of Luka. It is always difficult to lose a loved one. I took a quick peek at his policy and it looks like unfortunately the osteosarcoma was found within the 6-month orthopedic policy waiting period. Per the terms and conditions of the policy, clinical signs, or a diagnosis of osteosarcoma during this waiting period is unable to be covered. We do offer to shorten this waiting period if you have an orthopedic exam done with a corresponding report card filled out, but this was not done in Luka’s case. Again, I am truly sorry for your loss.

As far as Elsa is concerned, once her policy was purchased, she then had a 2-day accident waiting period, a 14-day illness waiting period, and a 6-month orthopedic waiting period. Anything within the 12 months prior to the policy purchase or through these waiting periods can be an exclusion on the policy. Elsa was noted to have urinary problems the day before the policy took effect, so this was made a temporary exclusion on her policy. She will need to go 12-months without related signs, symptoms, and/or treatments before the exclusion can possibly be expired. Since her recent claims were related, we were unable to provide coverage on the claims. I see you have requested to have one of her claims reviewed again. We have not received the additional medical history yet but will reopen the claim as soon as it is received. Although we were unable to cover the recent claims, you took the right step in purchasing pet insurance early for Elsa. She still has a large amount of coverage available to her for future issues that may arise not related to this temporary exclusion. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Warm regards,

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Embrace were exactly what I needed when I needed them. My Dane ran into the side of a moving car, suffering two collapsed lungs, and a broken right front leg in the process. He spent a week in the hospital before even having his leg surgically repaired. My policy with Embrace saved me from having to make a very painful decision about how much care (and expense) might be reasonable. The ordeal was still quite expensive, of course, but would have been much more so without Embrace, who settled and paid my claim very quickly, efficiently, and compassionately. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

My husband and I were skeptical about pet insurance but Embrace has erased all of our doubts. Our claims have been processed quickly and with absolutely no unexpected explanations or concerns. We could not be happier with our decision to insure our two Schnauzers with Embrace Pet Insurance.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I've had Embrace since I adopted my dog almost two years ago and it has been incredible. It is an easy to use platform that makes buying and renewing policies, processing claims and talking with a member of the team extremely easy. They are quick to process claims and do any and all back end analysis with the veterinarian so you don't have to worry about it. I tell all my friends that are dog owners to buy pet insurance, specifically Embrace. Highly Recommend 10 out of 10.

Embrace Pet Insurance Company Information