2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

Embrace Pet Insurance is a pet health insurance provider offering comprehensive, personalized insurance products for dogs and cats across the US. Wellness Rewards is a feature of Embrace that can be added to any insurance policy that reimburses for routine and preventative care. Embrace is consistently ranked as one of the highest-rated U.S. pet insurance companies and is a proud member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association. Embrace is the only company to offer a diminishing deductible feature, the Healthy Pet Deductible, and continues to innovate and improve the pet insurance experience for pet parents across the country.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

My dog developed hemolytic anemia from a deer tick bite. He was very ill and the prognosis was poor. I took him to the Vet Specialty Center and treatment was initiated within an hour. I knew it would be expensive and I was hoping that Embrace would be everything I thought it would be. In all honesty, Embrace insurance was better than I had hoped for. I called for guidance and was given accurate directions on how to file claims. They were reviewed and paid very quickly without any hassle. The forms are easy to access from the app and my veterinarian faxed them in for me. Happy to report that my dog is doing well and Embrace could not have treated me better!

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

In September 2018 I noticed that Jake was limping and seemed to have pain in his right hip. After taking him to the vet and having Xrays done, it was determined that our 4.5 yr old lab-great dane mix needed a new hip. I immediately called Embrace to find out what had to be done to ensure the insurance would cover this, indeed to find out IF they wound cover this. Imagine my joy and surprise when I was told, "Of course this is covered, let's start the paperwork so that it is precertified." WOW!!!. Within a matter of minutes, it was all done and Jake was set. Paying for something like this is a big deal and you wonder how to afford it. Embrace made it all so simple.

Unfortunately, Jake's surgery did not happen as planned and was not done till September of this year. Once again, I contact Embrace to inform them of the change in plans and make sure we were still good to go. You cannot imagine my gratitude and joy to find out that the precertification that was done the previous November was still in place and whenever the surgeon was ready we could do it. Jake is healing very well and has returned to his pre-injury/surgery self. The worst thing I have to do now is keep him quiet. Embrace processed my claims in a very timely manner and without problems. But most of all, they gave me peace of mind. Their care and concern for Jake and his family, what Jake was going through and how we were doing was phenomenal. They truly care about the animals and families they insure. I would not trade them for the anything in the world!

Original review: July 11, 2019

My husband scheduled our dog's annual physical and I didn't know about it until after he'd already taken her. I've explained to him more than once that insurance will only cover one physical per year (humans & pets) so they have to be scheduled for at least a year after the previous physical. This one was less than 10 months after her previous physical.

I filed the claim online and, as I expected, received a check for just the small amount remaining available after payment on the previous physical. I had just paid $200+ for an emergency passport to replace a lost one (that was then found that evening) and, because of a bank error, came back from vacation to hundreds of dollars in NSF fees (only about 1/3 of which the bank would reimburse). So I felt like I was being pummeled by unnecessary expenses. I HATE wasting money, and now I was out about $200 because my dog's physical wasn't covered.

I figured it was worth a shot, so I called Embrace and explained that this was my dog's annual physical, that I didn't know why my husband had taken her 2 months earlier than the previous year, and asked if there was any way they would cover it as if it had been a full year. The rep told me that she would submit it. I just received the decision and they covered it in full! This really made my day and took a lot of the sting out of my recent expense attack. Embrace wasn't my first pet insurance company, but I have been with them for a few years now and they are far superior to my previous insurer. I wish I could put my kids on this plan. I will be with Embrace for as long as I have pets.

Original review: April 19, 2019

On April 1, I took my cat in for a vet appointment and I was told she was in kidney failure and would need kitty dialysis to survive. The estimate was $4500 for 5 days at the emergency vet. I called Embrace and they stated that although they cannot confirm or deny coverage over the phone, the treatment should be covered if I filed a claim for it. Sadly, my cat did not respond well to treatment and after a day had passed, they recommended euthanasia. The total vet bills came to $1900. I submitted the claim and it was accepted almost immediately. They covered 80% of the cost, less the deductible, and I received payment within days.

Having pet insurance allowed me to go forward to do everything I could to save my beloved kitty. Even though I wasn't able to save her, I am comforted knowing I did everything I could to save her, and Embrace covered most of the cost associated with the treatment. I would recommend Embrace Pet Insurance to anyone who has a pet.

Original review: April 8, 2019

My dog was diagnosed with a cruciate ligament tear, and the diagnosis was my first claim. This claim initially took WAY too long and the communication with me (or complete lack thereof) about what was causing the hold up was extremely frustrating. Every time I called in, a different person gave me a different reason and then claimed to resolve it, only for nothing to be updated and the claim to not be processed. In fact, the first time it was processed, it was declined due to the processor not reading the date of the invoice, but rather reading the date of her vaccinations that is logged on all invoices. That type of mistake is pure laziness.

After multiple calls and chats with various representatives, the claim was finally approved. After that, it was smooth sailing. Her surgery claim was approved quickly and efficiently, although I’ve realized that I must submit all claims myself instead of allowing my vet to submit them directly, as your company claims to have never received the documents directly from the vet, despite them sending the documents via multiple methods on multiple occasions. The reimbursement check was sent out quickly and received quickly, so overall, the frustrations were worth it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

I have had Embrace insurance on my 3 collies for the past 6 years, and the first time I used it, it exceeded the deductible, which was so worth it. They didn't give me any trouble, and the refund was FAST. Love Embrace and so glad we have it.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Our latest experience with Embrace insurance was the second in less than a year! Unfortunately, our 5 year old Boxer mix, Tank, has a habit of shredding and eating toys that ultimately landed him in the OR for a gastrotomy. After a brief stay at the hospital, he was back on his feet and looking for the next toy to destroy. Embrace's claims process was quick and easy, and they provided timely updates all along the way.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I cannot begin to express what a wonderful company this is. My kitty was sick and I had to go to several vets for second opinions and finally to a specialty vet who diagnosed her with cancer. It was horrible to let her go. I was able to do all that I had to do for her to find out what was wrong because I had Embrace to help with the costs. THANK YOU EMBRACE!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My dog passed his 11th birthday (approx, because he is a rescued dog) and he started with a severe cough. The insurance allowed me to visit different vets to get a second opinion, it also covered my visits to the specialists afterwards. So far, I can't complain (I receive 80% reimbursement, as set in my policy). The customer service is also very good. Always responding my emails. Thank you Embrace!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I really love Embrace! Their customer service is fantastic and the turn around time for processing claims is expedite. If there is a problem with your claim the claims processing team will reach out to you in a timely manner. And, if you don't understand some things or the terminology they gladly explain. I am very happy that I chose this company to handle my pet insurance needs because they are not expensive and you receive reimbursement for almost any and everything, things like shots, check ups and even grooming! Proud Client! Melissa.

Embrace Pet Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Embrace Pet Insurance is a pet insurance company that has been in operation since 2006, focusing on sustainability and providing expert pet care.

• Ability to compare plans: Embrace has a great website that allows consumers to compare their plans with other insurance companies in order to choose the best option.

• Covers both dogs and cats: Embrace will cover treatment for both dogs and cats of any age.

• Experienced: They have been in business for almost 10 years and are a trusted name in the industry.

• No per-incident limitations: Embrace doesn't restrict the overall amount you can be reimbursed for a specific accident or illness like many insurance companies do.

• Hereditary and genetic condition coverage: Embrace covers genetic conditions that your pet might be prone to, such as digestive issues or dysplasia, in full up to the annual maximum that you have chosen.

• Best for: Pet owners with pets with hereditary or genetic conditions, pet owners with old pets, and pet owners with multiple pets.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor